There's a Place by facingthesun
Summary: Buffy Summers moves to a magical town after she has an encounter with a man named Spike.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 29841 Read: 13768 Published: 06/26/2004 Updated: 10/13/2005

1. Chapter 1 by facingthesun

2. Chapter 2 by facingthesun

3. Chapter 3 by facingthesun

4. Chapter 4 by facingthesun

5. Chapter 5 by facingthesun

6. Chapter 6 by facingthesun

7. Chapter 7 by facingthesun

8. Chapter 8 by facingthesun

9. Chapter 9 by facingthesun

10. Chapter 10 by facingthesun

11. Chapter 11 by facingthesun

12. Chapter 12 by facingthesun

Chapter 1 by facingthesun
A/N:
Hi, everybody! I have a new story for you. Tell me if you like it.

Chapter 1

“Riley.” Buffy sang his name and playfully shook the enormous man that was asleep next to her. “Riley. Wake up, sleepyhead.”

“Go away, Buffy.” Pulling his blankets to his nose and hiding his body, Riley rolled away, leaving a large gap between them.

“Go away? You big--. Come on Riley, don’t you remember what day it is?”

“Wednesday. Now leave me alone I’m sleeping.”

She held back her growl.

“Fine. Sleep. I’ll be in the shower.”
***

“Stupid. Stupid.” Buffy mumbled as she stared at her morning reflection. She tried to smooth down her rebellious bed hair but gave up, finding solace under the warm spray of the shower.

I can’t believe him. He didn’t remember. You’d think if all that boyish charm he reeked of were real he would have remembered our anniversary. But then all my birthday presents have been belated too. Hell, all he can remember is the schedule of his TV shows.

“Stupid. Stupid.” She dug her fingers into her blonde hair, gathering thick suds.

“Ah! The pain!” Quickly, she ducked under the showerhead to rinse her stinging eyes.

Buffy began to wash her body and allowed her thoughts to dwell on her disappointment.

“What’s wrong, baby?” She jumped, startled by the sound of Riley’s voice. “You on the rag or something?”

“Or something. Riley, don’t be surprised if you wake up tomorrow chocking on a rag.” When Riley’s naked body invaded her space, her teeth clenched.

“Testy, testy.” He took Buffy’s soapy sponge from her hands and motioned for her to give him a leg.

“I was just doing fine without you. I can wash myself.”

The harsh tones of Buffy’s words must have disappeared before they reached Riley’s ear because his goofy grin was unfazed. “Buffy, I understand that you just wanted some loving but sleep is very important to me.”

“I’ve noticed.” She gave in to his grabby hands and let him lather her body. “Riley, it’s our anniversary. We’ve been dating for over three years now.”

“Oh, um, I knew that. I was just—I have a surprise for you later.”

“Sure you do.”

“Now Buffy…” He pulled Buffy’s rigid body against his. “Why do you do this?” Lowering his voice to a soft tone, Riley caressed the sides of her face. “Why are you so childish, baby?”

Because you treat me like a child! She wanted to scream but she knew that his blockhead would not be penetrated by her words.

“Riley, get out.”

“Huh?”

“You heard me. Get out.” She knocked away his hands and pushed him to the back of the shower. “This is my shower, not yours. Go, wait for your turn.”

“Buffy, sweetheart…”

At the sound of his chuckle, Buffy snapped. “Get out! I don’t want to talk to you! I’m serious! Leave me alone!”

“Buffy, I’m not leaving, you can’t kick me out this is my shower, not yours. We’re in my apartment--.”

God, he always throws that into my face.

“Fine.” She ripped back the shower curtain and reached for her towel. She was still covered in bubbles but she didn’t care.

“Buffy! Don’t be like this!”
***

“Buff—Buffy! What’s wrong?”

Xander opened his apartment to a dripping wet Buffy who was still wrapped in her towel.

“Jesus Buff, did you walk through the hallway like that?”

“Xander.”

Buffy crumbled into her best friend’s arms.
***

“So I’m guessing he forgot.”

Xander handed Buffy some ice water. It was the beginning of summer but his friend was wrapped in a blanket and wearing a set of his sweats.

“He forgot. He actually told me to go away and then he told me I was childish. Am I childish Xand?”

“Oh the Buffster? Childish? No! Maybe a little young at heart but hey, so is yours truly and we have gobs of fun, don’t we?”

“Xander, I think I want to break up with Riley.”

“Oh?” He sat down and tried to coax more information out of her. “Just because of today?”

“No. He doesn’t pay attention to me. He always either watching sports or talking to Maggie.”

“He kinda takes being a momma’s boy to the extreme, huh?”

“Xan, she knows everything. Everything. On our last weekend visit she wanted to give me tips on pleasuring her son.”

“Ew! Ew! My ears! Please don’t tell me she knows firsthand.”

“I hope not but he insists on either seeing her or talking to her on the phone everyday. That can’t be healthy, right? It’s been three years and I don’t feel anything more for Riley… I can’t say that my feelings for him have grown or anything. He’s—he’s actually very boring and we have nothing in common.”

“He doesn’t understand you either. Does he?”

“No.” Buffy felt her control slowly slip away as Xander spoke to her softly and as he placed a hand on her arm.

“He doesn’t know what you’re feeling…”

“Xand, you knew about all this? I thought Riley was your friend...”

“Buffy, I see you and Riley together and I’ve never seen you roll your eyes more--well unless you’re with me. Sure he’s a pal but you’re my best friend. Too be honest, when you said that you were dumping him I was almost unable to stop the urge to Snoopy Dance. Buff, if he doesn’t make you happy…”

“He’s the only guy I’ve ever been with… I’ve tried so hard to make it work.” Buffy wiped the warm tears that had slipped from her eyes.

“I know you did but not all things can work. I could give you a crappy puzzle metaphor but I’ll decide against it.”

“I’ve heard it before. I know what I’m going to do.”
***

Buffy called in late to work so she could sneak into her apartment when she knew Riley would be gone. She quickly became frustrated when she couldn’t find the right clothes and remembered that Riley was borrowing her car. His car was in the shop so they had been carpooling.

Well, it’s only a half hour walk. I can wear tennis shoes with my business clothes; they’d better just be glad that I’m showing up.

Buffy wove in and out of the upcoming crowds of people that packed the sidewalks. Usually she would take her time, take in the scenery and greet strangers with friendly gestures, but today she was determined to stay in her bad mood.

I want to break up with Riley. I really want to. I can do it this time. I just need to stay mad. I can’t back out of it like I did the last time and the last...

Buffy looked at her watch and was alarmed to see that she was over three hours late already. “I can’t believe—Ahhh!”

Buffy tripped on a raised sidewalk and fell face first into the greenery that lined the busy sidewalk.

I hate my life.
***

Need ice cream. Need something sweet.

Buffy decided as she plucked various leaves out of her hair that going to work was just not going to happen.

“Hi, can I get a mocha smoothie please?”

Once Buffy paid, she limped over to the closest empty table. She smiled weakly seeing an abandoned magazine on the dirty table. Eating alone was something that made her very uncomfortable but she had nowhere else to go with all her friends at work.

Oh, the ‘National Inquirer’ gotta love that. I wonder how Big Foot is doing? Oh, look he has a girlfriend… damn you Big Foot; I bet he would be a better boyfriend than—

“Hey, I wasn’t done with that page yet. Can you go back, love?”

Buffy slowly turned her head around towards the British voice, ready to chew out the man who had been reading over her shoulder.

I am so not in the mood for this.

Her eyes focused on the prettiest pair of blue eyes she had ever seen. Taking a longer look, she wasn’t surprised that the eyes belonged to an unbelievably handsome man. She looked him up and down, checking out his pinstriped suit and pale yellow dress shirt.

Wow.

“I--um… You look like a man who could afford his own magazine.”

“And you look like a woman who shouldn’t have a garden growing out of her hair, Goldilocks.”

Buffy felt her heart beat rapidly as the man leaned over and gently began taking the foliage out of her hair.

“Thanks, um… I… My name’s Buffy.”

“Spike.”

“Spike?”

“Yeah, it’s a nickname. All better now.” Spike ran a hand over Buffy’s smooth hair, sending shivers down her spine. “Now, can I join you, pet? I can catch up on my reading and you can gaze at my heavenly bod and not be lonely and a table will be up for grabs. Everyone will win.”

“O—ok.” Buffy didn’t know how to react. “You’re kinda full of yourself, aren’t you Spike?”

“Hmmm?” Spike had sat down and was engrossed in an article about a two-headed baby. “This stuff is great, full of bloody inspiration.” He tossed the magazine across the table. “It makes me wanna puke. So have you read any good stories lately?”

“I can’t say that I have.”

“You don’t seem like the reading type--”

“What?” Buffy was kicked out of her daze. She didn’t know if the man was teasing her or not.

A stranger is going to insult me now? He may be cute, but he is not that cute.

“Why don’t I look like a reading type?”

“Hey, don’t get your knickers in a twist, love. You just seem kinda blonde and airhead-ed. No offense.”

“Well, Spike. You seem blonde and cheap and conceited and—and jack ass-y!” Buffy picked up the half consumed smoothie and thundered to the door of the building. She tossed the treat that was supposed to make her feel better and began walking angrily down the street.
***

“What? What did I do? The bint’s nuts, I tell you.”

Spike felt the stares of angry women and concerned men.

I guess I have to save the day, don’t I?

“Bloody hell.”
***

“Buffy! Hey, Buffy! Wait up!”

Spike wiped his forehead of the sweat that had gathered there. “It’s a bitch wearing these poofy clothes in this heat, huh? Come on, pinky, let’s rest.”

He followed me…

Buffy rose her hand to her flushed cheeks and sat on the bench without a struggle, surprising Spike and herself.

”Well Spike is a name only suitable for a bulldog. A fat, smelly, ugly bulldog.”

“Ok, love, whatever you say...” He tilted his head, amused ready to continue but Buffy broke him off.

“You’d better appreciate that comeback. It took me awhile to think it up but I like it.” Biting her lip, she gathered up the courage to look at Spike who was still panting slightly. “You ok?”

“Right as rain, just not used to the altitude here. Or the weather.” He unbuttoned the collar of his shirt and squinted at the blue cloud filled sky. “Weird place you’ve got here.”

“We do weird well. Where are you from?”

“A tiny little town out in the middle of nowhere, not too far from here. You’ve probably never heard of it. Sunnydale?”

“Nope. Is it so tiny that you don’t get socked in the face for reading over people’s shoulders?”

He chuckled in a deep voice that gave Buffy goosebumps even in the day’s heat. “Yup, it’s that tiny. I’m sorry if I was rude back there. I was having a bad day.”

“Join the party.”

“I could tell, you got there early huh, for a little happy hour in Bad Day Land,? It’s not everyday you see a beautiful woman covered in twigs and with dirty trousers.”

Beautiful… I’m Buffy; see me melt…

“Aren’t you quite the charmer? When you’re not being an asshole, I mean.”

“Yeah, I get that a lot, especially from my little sis. But she whines about it endlessly so I block her out.” Spike flashed Buffy a smile that left her speechless.

God he’d better stop doing that.

“Any thorns in your side, pet?”

Buffy shook her head no, making him laugh again.

Am I funny? Riley never laughs, even when I try to tell him a joke… Gosh, he’s a handsome man. Spike. Maybe he’s just laughing at me…

“Hey you still in there, sweets?

“Yeah, I guess I have a thorn. Not of the sibling variety but of the boyfriend kind.”

“Oh.”

Buffy tried to hide her excitement when she thought she heard disappointment in his voice.

I think he likes me.

“Um, how long are you in town for, Spike? If you’d like, I could show you around…”

“Only for tonight and then I’m off tomorrow. I wouldn’t mind having you as a guide. Unless you have plans with your boy.”

“Boy?”

“The boyfriend.”

“Oh, that boy. I have something to do but we can meet later, how about back at the Espresso Pump at seven-ish?”

“It’s a date, love.”
***

Buffy hummed as she stepped into Riley’s apartment. She dropped her keys on the counter and thoughtlessly pressed the flashing button of her answering machine.

--Buffy, it’s me. I’ll be home soon. I’m sure we can come to an understanding about what happened this morning. As soon as you think about it and apologize--

Buffy hissed and deleted his message.

I will not let him do this. He was wrong, I wasn’t. I don’t want to be with him anymore.

She scanned their apartment and noticed that it she barely had any belongings.

I’m sure I can stay with Xander tonight, after I see Spike.

Spike.

Buffy couldn’t help but smile.

He’s so… so different. I talked with him for a few minutes and I was mad, embarrassed, happy, and comfortable… I can’t wait to see him again.

“Major sparkage.” She whispered as she hunted through her tiny corner of the closet. “Major.”
***

“Buffy?”

She shrieked and stopped swaying in front of the mirror with the dress she planned on wearing held to her chest. “Riley! God, you scared me.” She hung up the dress.

“I told you I would be home early, I left a message. Did you get it?”

“Yes. Riley, we need to talk.”

“You don’t need to say anything I already forgive you. I understand how women get about their anniversaries.” Riley laughed and rolled his eyes as he twirled a pointed finger next to his ear.

“I’m not crazy. I didn’t act crazy either. Riley, let’s sit down.”

I will keep my cool. Think of how good things will be without him… think of Spike.

Buffy didn’t understand why she was so smitten the handsome man but she needed all the help she could get. She patted on the corner of the bed and sighed when Riley joined her.

“Riley, I think—I know, hm, Riley, we need to break up.”

“What?!”

Her words came out as an emotional whoosh. “I can’t do this anymore. We have nothing in common. You have your job and your sports and I can’t compete with that. Hell, I can’t compete with Maggie either.”

“Mom? You’re dumping me because of my mother? What is wrong with you? You were crazy this morning… Maybe you should lie down.”

“Riley! Listen to me. It’s over.”

Buffy felt like celebrating when she saw him close his eyes. Please, God tell me he is listening…

“You bitch!”

That’s not good. “Riley--.”

“What are you doing?! You fucking someone on the side?! Harris! I knew it was weird for a man and a woman to be friends. I told you it leads to--.”

“Keep Xander out of this.”

“You are, aren’t you?! I can’t believe you. Banging my friend and breaking up with me on my fucking anniversary!”

“Your anniversary?! You—you jerkoff!” Buffy burst into angry tears, her frustration mounting, making her breathe erratically. “I’m leaving! You can just go to hell and take your mommy with you! I’m sure she will give better blowjobs than I ever did!”

Buffy got up to run out of the room but Riley stopped her. Before Buffy could comprehend what was happening, she was thrown across the room, she couldn’t stop herself from crashing into the heavy wooden nightstand. Buffy screamed before everything went dark.
***

Spike twiddled his fingers and started at the clock.

Eight thirty eight. Well. Aren’t you stupid, thinking you could insult a woman and then think she really wanted to meet you for dinner… Wanker.

Spike laughed to himself and ran a hand through his hair. I bet she got sidetracked, shagging her model boytoy. She is probably laughing telling him about her day and about the bloody idiot that she set up as she rides him into the floor…

God she was beautiful, she didn’t seem like the type to… No. She was something, definitely something.

Spike sighed and got up to order him a drink.

I’ll give her another hour; sod it all, probably two.
***

“You’re insane Buff.”

Xander watched as Buffy struggled to pick up a heavy box.

“I am.”

“Here give me that.” Xander took the box from Buffy and followed her out of the apartment and to Buffy’s car. “You know nothing about this guy.”

“I met him for ten minutes maybe even twenty. I know he is handsome and funny and he has a sexy voice. He has a sister and he reads bad magazines. He lives in Sunnydale and he has the most indescribable pair of blue eyes, electric… oh and he likes reading.”

“That’s sure a lot of information you’ve got there.” Xander rolled his eyes. “You don’t know exactly where he lives… He could be married or seeing someone, you never asked. He could be anybody or anything. A murderer. A psychopath. He could be a murdering psychopath! You said he was wearing yellow; he could even be gay.”

“Shut up, Xander.” Buffy thought about Spike as she rearranged her overfilled trunk, making room for the box Xander was still holding.

Spike seemed like a good guy. He could even be the one.

Buffy shook her head and laughed to herself. Maybe I really am insane…

The signs were confusing Buffy. She was too busy pressing charges on Riley to meet Spike that night, but when she ran into the Espresso Pump days after, the girl at the counter gave her the remains of Spike’s phone number and address.

Talk about mixed signals. Bad fate. Bad destiny, confusing me.

Of course he had used a napkin, like in the movies. Of course his writing had been unreadable. Of course the girl had spilled coffee on the napkin too, on my only link to Spike.

Xander cleared his throat to get Buffy’s attention, “Hey, I’m just looking out for you. You said it yourself, you’re insane.”

“He isn’t the only reason why I’m going, Xand.”

“Sure he isn’t. Ow!”

“What?”

“Your Pinocchio nose just jabbed me in the ass.”

“Ha, ha.” Buffy smiled when she finally got the trunk of her car closed. “Buying a house is investing in my future. It’s just a coincidence that I found the perfect house in Sunnydale.”

“The perfect house. Bah. It’s falling down and it’s way too big for just you.”

“It’s a fixer upper, yeah, but it will give me tons of space to work in. I can find a hobby and relax until I decide to start a career. Why should I let my trust fund go to waste on expensive shoes or something else like that?”

“Because that’s what a normal person would do.” Xander sighed, realizing by Buffy’s determined look that he was not going to talk his friend out of leaving the city for a tiny town. “Can I visit you sometime? I’ll miss my roomie.”

“Awww, Xand.” Buffy gave Xander a hug and talked as she rubbed his back. “Sure you can visit. I’ll probably get lonely out there anyway, but it’s not too far of a drive and if you didn’t have your job, I would be begging you to come with me.”

“Just be careful.”

“I will.”
***

Buffy lowered the back windows in her car and turned up the radio. She stared forward, occasionally singing with the radio or to a little ditty that had popped into her head. She sat with her legs bent, driving in cruise control down the country road.

I can’t believe I’m doing this.

Buffy ran a hand through her hair and grimaced, remembering what had forced her to venture off on her own. Her fingertips ran along the scar on her hairline that Riley had given her; the wound had required seventeen stitches and for Buffy to really think about her life.

I need to do this. I need to live by myself. I haven’t since I was… since I was nineteen. I don’t even know who I am anymore. All I’ve done for the past three years is worry about Riley. Even if I go to Sunnydale and never see Spike, at least I’ll have my life back. At least I’ll be living for me again. I want to live life to the fullest and for some reason I think I can do that here.

She smiled as the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale’ sign came into her view.

Buffy sang, loud and off key as she entered the town.

“Oh there ain’t no road too long.”
***

Buffy drove through the streets on Sunnydale in awe. She had never seen grass any greener or houses anymore perfect. She didn’t feel like she was in another part of the state, she felt like she was in another world.

“I guess we’re not in Kansas anymore, huh, Mr. Gordo?” Buffy affectionately petted her new male companion that sat on his throne, a box of dishes. She squeezed the pink nose of her stuffed pig.

I’m such a dweeb.

“Revello. 1630 Revello. Oh goody, I have the wicked witch’s house.”

The house looked just like it had in the picture and in the computer tour, with a fence covered with dying vines and cracked columns that held up the old whitewashed porch. She had assumed that all the houses in Sunnydale would have a similar feel.

All the others are “Leave it Beaver” and I got the “Munsters”.

Cool.
***

The best part of her new house was the floors, all shiny wooden floors screaming for nice floral rugs and maybe a few shag ones too just for a change of pace.

“Oooh.” Buffy ran her hand along the smooth banister as she walked up the stairs to the second floor. The second floor was more like one large room with a window.

“Mine.”

Buffy made mental notes as she traveled through the house, deciding how she would make the house modern but keep it’s timeless beauty alive and well.

“This is going to be great.”
***

Buffy unpacked her clothes and furniture, which consisted of a lamp with a feather-accented lampshade, a few pieces of framed artwork, a mattress with two sets of sheets and a coat rack. She had meet Riley in her sophomore year of college and moved in with him by the close of the school year. Needless to say Riley didn’t let Buffy have much say in the home décor department.

I need to go shopping. Buffy sang in her thoughts as she walked to her car. Visions of new items bought and money spent danced in her head.

Tomorrow, shopping, today’s mission: edibles.

As Buffy took in the town square of Sunnydale she made a mental list of the things she needed.

A fridge, washer, dryer, ceiling fans… need handyman stat.

Buffy had to make a U-turn when she realized that the town only consisted of three city blocks. She decided at first glance that the town was filled of mostly drug stores, little diners, a movie theater and some antique stores.

Interesting.

Buffy glanced from one side of Main Street to the other. There were two diners both named, “Willy’s diner,” on opposite sides of the street. She quickly did an eenie meenie before she choose the Willy’s on the left side of the road.

“Oh, you’d better be careful choosing, girl.”

“Huh?”

Buffy spun to find an older woman shaking a crooked finger at her. “Pick one place and you’ll have to eat there forever. Those Willys have been enemies for ages.”

“The owners are both named Willy?”

“Yup and they came into town at the same time, both wanting to open up a place… Choose wisely.”

“Which do you eat at?”

“Dawn’s on the other side of town.”

Buffy laughed. “Where’s the other side of town?” She squinted, looking around for other buildings in the distance. When Buffy turned back to the woman, the woman had disappeared.

Of course, she would be gone. You can’t just have a cute little town; it has to be a weird, slightly creepy little cute town.

Buffy rolled her eyes and walked up and down the major roads of the town’s square, looking for Dawn.
***

The wind blew Buffy’s hair as she wondered down the empty streets.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

She rubbed the palms of her hands on her arms to gather warmth.

It’s cold in the middle of July?

She walked down the worn paved sidewalks with goose bumps on her legs and growls coming from her stomach.

Turning the next corner, Buffy came face to face with her destination.

Thank God.
***

‘Dawn’s’ was packed with people; tables were all filled with at least three or more people.

“Just you, hon?”

“Yup.”

Buffy stumbled and weaved through the masses of table and people legs. She felt uncomfortable sitting at the only empty table.

Goody, why don’t I just get a sign that screams loser?

Buffy used her menu as shield to cover her embracement. When the waitress asked for her order, Buffy still don’t look up as she quickly looked through the food choices.

“Um, can I just have a minute please?”

“She’ll have the special, Glenda. On the house.”

Buffy looked up to see that the woman that had ordered for her was now sitting across from her in her booth. “Um—a—thank you.”

“Don’t worry, we aren’t all this bad. I’m just pushy by nature. Hi, I’m Dawn.” Dawn was a younger woman. Buffy guessed that she was at least three or so years younger than herself. Dawn had her hands full. “And this is my baby, Parker. Consider us as your pushy welcoming committee.”

Buffy gently shook Dawn’s offered hand, afraid to wake her sleeping child. “You’re only slightly pushy. Thanks for the welcome. I’m Buffy Summers I just--.”

“Moved into the Revello house. The town has been waiting, biting its nails in anticipation waiting for you ever since the sold sticker was put on. Especially us, my husband and I live across the street and my brother lives next door to you, so we have all been keeping tabs on your house. You scared away yet?”

“No and it’s good to have one of those neighborhood watch thingies, I guess, it cuts down on crime and… stuff.”

“It sure does.” Buffy’s food had just arrived and Dawn stared at Buffy, waiting for a reaction. “You like it? It is my special recipe. Not the sandwich, the sauce.”

“Sandwich good, sauce better.”

“Thank you. Um, would you mind if I--? I just feel awful, but it’s a bad habit.”

“Consider my fries, your fries. Besides you where kind enough to pay for them.”

Dawn smiled widely and ate a handful of Buffy’s food. “So what brought you here?”

“A few things. I mainly just needed a change.”

“That’s fine with us. I’m sure you will fit in just fine--Shhh.” Parker, who had just woken up and was fussing, interrupted Dawn. “Look, oh I’m so proud! He wakes up exactly half an hour before his daddy is coming home. He is like an alarm clock, always screaming when it’s time to go.” Dawn got up and looked for her baby carrier. “Anytime you need something, just ask. Me and my family will be happy to help.”

“Oh, thank you.”

“Also, why don’t you come back her tomorrow around two. We shouldn’t be as busy, cross your fingers, and then we can talk more. I have loads of gossip for you.”

“Ok, tomorrow.”
***

Buffy couldn’t put into words how she felt. She had just set up her temporary bed, her mattress on the floor next to her lamp. Her suitcases and boxes were still in the empty living room because she had no intention of dragging everything upstairs until it was absolutely necessary.

Wow.

Buffy stood, barefoot, staring out her kitchen window. She was getting a glass on water when the sky caught her eye. The horizon was colored in a mix of pinks, oranges, and reds and the rest of the sky was a dark blue.

Buffy took her water and sat on the old steps on her front porch, so her feet could rest in the grass. She stretched out her legs straight before her and then immersed her toes in the tall cool grass.

I bet they are just dormant or something. They just need time to wake up.

Buffy felt protected by the sleeping, woody vines that coved the fence that surrounded her house. Even though Buffy could easily see through the fence and across the street, she still felt the fence was doing its job.

The vines were the only dead-looking plants. There was a huge, leafy tree in her front yard and a number of flowering bushes around the side of her house. She hadn’t explored her backyard yet; she wanted to stay in suspense for a while.

She stayed outside, amusing herself with the grass and with the peeling paint on the steps until dark.

What the hey!

Buffy closed her eyes and smiled at the sights on her first lightening bug.

I think I’m going to like it here.
***
Chapter 2 by facingthesun
Chapter 2

Buffy sat on the hard wood floor and crossed her legs. With a sigh she scanned the room full of brown boxes, bubble wrap and other packing papers. She tucked a few wild strands of her hair behind her ears and blew on the Styrofoam cup that rested before her. Stirring the instant noodle soup with a plastic spoon gave her something to do instead of listening to her quiet house.

“Boring.”

She had already unpacked all her boxes and found homes for all her clothing and kitchen supplies, everything else was on the floor in little piles: her stuffed animals, photo albums and other bits of nostalgia.

“Hot! Hot!” Buffy hissed and quickly dropped her spoon back into her soup.

This would be better with a fork, wouldn’t it? She thought after wiping off the warm broth that had splashed her in the face.

“If I were a fork, where would I live?” She got up and brushed off the back of her jeans. She searched through the silverware drawer and the sound of her bare feet slapping against the floor echoed through the house. “Bah, silverware…more like plasticware. Damn. What genius thought of a spork anyway?”

Armed with her fork and spoon hybrid and a hot brothy soup, Buffy took her first steps onto her back porch.

I spy with my little eye…a swing!

She traveled to the end of the porch and looked questioningly at the tall grass that covered her yard, not sure if she wanted to walk in it without shoes.

I guess only the front yard was kept up… the grass needs to be mowed or at least weed whacked. These towns should specialize in teenage boys that want to do chores for a few dollars right?

She closed her eyes and ran as fast as she could without spilling her lunch to the bench looking swing that stood in the middle of the yard.

Ewww. Carefully choosing a spot covered with the least amount of bird droppings, Buffy sat and took her feet out of the overgrown lawn. After wiping her exposed lower legs of unseen insects, Buffy looked up at the tree she was sitting underneath and marveled at its height.

I may like it here but I have a feeling like I’m going to stick out like a sore thumb. I’ve never had a backyard before; I’ve never climbed a tree or have gotten sick after spinning on a tire swing. Isn’t that what people do when they live in the country? Buffy shrugged in response to her question. Bad me, stereotyping my new town because of Lassie and all those other shows on Nick at Night.

After blowing on her soup, she swirled her spork and collected the long, thin noodles on the utensil. “Mmmm, mmm good.”

Yesh, Ramen is going to get old, fast. I can’t believe the only appliance I have is a coffee maker. Maybe Dawn will know of some good places to shop at.

Buffy smiled, thinking of welcoming girl. I hope we become friends because I think we’d get along very well. I’d have to kiss all my fries goodbye but I don’t need them, it’s a small price to pay for a friendship. Speaking of friends…

After putting a heaping amount of curly noodles in her mouth, Buffy ran back to the porch and walked through the old screen door.
***

“Xander here.”

“Hi.”

“Hey how are you?”

“Ok…good. More than good, maybe.”

“Is someone feeling noncommittal this afternoon?”

“Give me a few more days and I’m sure I’ll give you a real answer.”

“I’ll be waiting for that, but give me all the gory details. Have you found him yet?

“Let’s see…I think I may have the oldest house on the block, which doesn’t really bother me too much. There are feuding Willy’s here and don’t ask because I’m not sure I understand the story. And I meet a girl named Dawn that owns a diner that has a really cute kid and almost uncomfortablely friendly people skills. And no I haven’t even looked for him because, like I said, I’m not here only to find Spike.”

“Sounds like you’re having fun out in the boonies. If you need help finding your dream guy, I suggest posters. Lost: hunky man with girlie British accent.”

Buffy laughed and broke her pacing to throw her Styrofoam cup on top of the overflowing trashcan. “Posters, huh? I’ll think about it. Oh crap.”

“What?”

“I hate to cut this short but I’ve got to run, I’m meeting someone at two.”

“You’re late…what kind of someone?”

“A new friend.”

“Already? Should I be jealous?”
***

“You don’t cook?”

“No.” Dawn leaned closer to Buffy in the booth, as if preparing to share a secret. “I can’t and won’t cook. Look at the menu; everything on it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual food. It’s all about the sauces and condiments.”

“Oh, I think I get it.” Buffy covered her mouth and swallowed a spoon full of ice cream. “It’s like when you wear a whole outfit but the most important part is the shoes and the jewelry, the dress kinda fades into the background. You specialize in food accessories.”

“Oh my God! Where have you been all my life!?” Dawn giggled, excited to know that Buffy understood her logic.

“Um…I have more similes where that came from.”

“Keep them coming. So how was your first night? Homesick yet?”

“It was really quiet, I didn’t even hear one car drive by. I was up in the middle of night looking for blankets because it was freezing. Isn’t supposed to be summer here?”

“It is but the weather is fickle, it does whatever it wants to. Tomorrow never knows, we could have a heat wave.”

“If that happens I’ll be waiting with my shorts in hand, until then it’s long pants and light weight jackets for me. And to answer your homesick question, I miss my friends back home but other than that I think I’ll adjust…eventually.”

“I’ve noticed you didn’t bring a U-haul. Did you live with your parents?”

“Have you been stalking me?” Buffy asked jokingly but still curious. She could imagine Dawn as a Gladys Kravitz figure, always with her nose peeking through the blinds and watching Buffy’s every move. “I lived with my best friend for a little and before that I was in my boyfriend’s apartment.”

“Ick. Is that the bad breakup face?” Dawn patted Buffy’s hand reassuringly, “He’s a big jerk for whatever he did.”

“Thanks, it was never a happy relationship but it got really ugly in the end.”

“If you ever need someone to join you in the scorned woman man bashing, just call. I have a husband and an annoying brother, I’m sure I could contribute to the bitterness.”

“I’m not completely bitter…ok, maybe I was but sending Riley to jail really helped.” Buffy gave a weak smile and gently tapped on the scar that she displayed on her forehead.

“Oh, that’s nothing to joke about, I’m really sorry. Is that why you’re here in Sunnydale? You said you needed a change…”

“Yeah and to be honest, I’m kinda looking for someone.” Buffy pushed away her finished ice cream to the edge of the booth that her and Dawn were sitting. “I may not be ready to do any heavy dating at the moment, but there is a guy that is on the top of my to-date list and I think he lives in Sunnydale.”

“Really? Do you know his name?”

“Yes, only his nickname.”

“Tell me and we’ll have you reunited in no time.”

Buffy tried not to grimace at Dawn’s excitement. “Well this could be dumb but…I met this guy out of the blue, it was all about us both being in the right place at the right time, the moment was perfect and…I kinda want to meet him again the same way, you know? Call me crazy but I’ll a firm believer in if it’s meant to be, it’ll…just be.” Buffy looked up and searched Dawn’s face for disappointment. “I just have these high hopes of another wonderful moment…”

“Wow.”

“Wow?”

“You just may be the biggest romantic I’ve ever met.”

Buffy laughed and felt a blush cover her face. “Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

“It’s a big wow. My brother, well he’s technically my stepbrother, he was biggest sap I knew, of course he denies it…anyway you’ve knocked him from his throne and to be honest if things were different, I’d probably be on my hands and knees begging you to marry him.”

“Is that right? I hope he won’t miss his throne; maybe I’ll have to keep your brother in mind. Is he cute?”
***

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” Buffy covered her head with a pillow and hoped the loud ringing would go away. “It’s too early, way too early for doorbells.”

She groaned and slowly trudged downstairs in her nightclothes, an oversized white t-shirt that fell past her knees. After standing on her tiptoes to reach the peephole, Buffy opened the front door and forced a smile.

“Hi, Dawn, Parker. You guys are up early.”

“Oops. Did we wake you?” Dawn gave Buffy a guilty smile. “I forget sometimes that not all people must awake up at the crack of dawn to watch Big Bird, but if it helps, we come bringing food.”

“Food? Ok you’re forgiven. Do you want to come in?”

“Naw, that’s ok. I just wanted to stop by, bring you muffins and invite you to Parker’s birthday party. I can’t believe I forgot to mention it yesterday but it’s on Saturday around noon and it will last awhile. I think it will be a great opportunity for you meet some more people and you can meet Conner, my husband.”

“And the cute brother?”

“Yup, so what are your plans today?”

“Shopping and more than likely getting lost.”

“Have fun and if you get bored, stop by and we’ll talk more. Well I’ve got to run before my brother eats me out of house and home. He insists on always eating breakfast at my house…Bye.”

“Bye.”
***

“Where’ve you been?”

“At your neighbor’s house. Have you met her yet? She’s a doll.”

“You were there before nine in the morning? That’s an ungodly time, bit.” Spike opened Dawn’s cupboards and searched through the endless rows of Tupperware dishes. “Where’s my bowl? You know I like the yellow one.”

“Yeah, yeah it’s in the dishwasher, all-clean. Don’t you have food at your house?”

“Nope, besides it’s easier to steal from my loving little sister.”

Dawn grunted in response and pretended to be reading the daily newspaper as she watched out of the corner of her eye amused, seeing Spike struggle to join her at the kitchen table. He had his hands full: his bowl in one and a gallon of milk in the other and tucked under his arm was a box of cereal; his spoon was already in his mouth.

Once settled in a chair, Spike overfilled his bowl with Lucky Charms and concentrated on reading the back of the box. “What a shame. I miss when those little toys were hidden in the bottom of the cereal and all covered sugary bits. I was looking forward to showing Parker the fine art of emptying a box on the table and floor in the name of a cheap plastic doodad. But now everything has to be mailed in with those bloody proof of purchases.” He frowned and shook his head, glaring at the cereal’s mascot. “Just sucking out all the fun, aren’t you?”

“Gosh you can go off on some weird things. Leave Lucky alone, you big bully. So you never answered my question, have you met her yet? I think you’d really like her.”

“Who? Oh the new neighbor? I haven’t seen her yet but I’m sure I’ll mange a little wave when I’m out at the mailbox or something. Why is she so special, have you already squeezed out her life story?”

“Well, she let me eat her fries and we had a nice talk yesterday afternoon, that’s was good. She also didn’t throw me out this morning, it was early for her too but she was still pleasant, also nice. Oooh, and she has blonde hair and green eyes.” Dawn sang Buffy’s description, knowing how it would affect her stepbrother.

“Oh?” Spike grinned slightly but then looked up at Dawn’s smiling face and glared. “You’re horrible, you know that?”

“You are so predictable, William. You really need to move on.”

“I have nothing to move on from. Actually I’ve--”

“Sure just like you don’t slobber over any girl that reminds you of that girl that stood you up, heck, you can’t eat coffee ice cream without getting moony eyed.”

“Do not.” Spike poured more cereal into his half empty bowl and avoided Dawn’s glance. “Can we change the subject now? Because I like pretending that I’m not terribly head over heels over a weird girl named Buffy. It was a beautiful moment, I made an ass out of myself and she let me take my foot out of my mouth, it was just like that old song…but I’ll never see her again but what’s the harm of pinning over a fantasy…a dream girl? You have the hots for every other pretty boy that you see on the TV and you’re married. Besides--” Spike stopped his rant when he looked up and noticed that Dawn had a strange look on her face. “You still in there, Dawnie?”

Oh. My. God. Buffy? Buffy?! Could it be? How many Buffy’s can there be in the world? It’s not a regular Joe Blow kinda name. Wow. This…this could be great!

Oh no, internal conflict. Dawn pinched the bridge of her nose. But if Will is the reason that Buffy is here, I can’t get involved because I can’t ruin her lovey dovey hopes, now can I? But she still could be talking about someone else…Argh!

“Dawn? You look like you’re going to combust, pet. Are you alright?”

“Um, I just need to pee!” Dawn jumped from her chair and ran.

“Crazy bint.” Spike rolled his eyes and continued to eat his Lucky Charms. “Damn they’re all soggy on the bottom because of all that yakking.”
***

A/N:
So so sorry. Writer's block. Big, nasty writer's block.
Chapter 3 by facingthesun
Chapter 3

You know when I told Dawn that I’d be shopping and getting lost, I hoped it would jinx everything and that maybe, just maybe, I could not be traveling down all these roads going absolutely nowhere.

Buffy pulled up to another stop sign and sighed, as she looked both ways.

Let’s see dirt road to the left and looky there, dirt road to the right.

Grumbling, frustrated with herself and her lack of a sense of direction, Buffy offhandedly turned right and sped down the road, leaving clouds of dust behind her.
***

“Maybe you can help me, Miss.” Spike squinted as he scanned the endless rack of toys. “I need to buy something for my nephew’s birthday and I’m looking for something icky.”

“Icky?”

“Slimy or gooey will do as well but I’m really looking for anything that will be bitch to get out of a carpet. I want to make my sister’s life a living hell, you see.”

“Ok.” The store’s employee nodded slowly, not sure how to react to the strange man. “How old is your nephew turning?”

“One.”

“Um, I don’t think icky is the best way to go for a toddler…”
***

“This is fantastic.” Spike smiled, proud of his purchases that he stuffed in the trunk of his car, “All I need is a lifetime supply of batteries and I’ll be set and on the road to making Dawn and the hubby’s life miserable.”

“Talking to yourself, Will? That’s a sign of loneliness.”

“Among other things.” Spike turned at the familiar voice and grinned at the dark haired woman on the sidewalk next to his parked car. “Hey Cordy, hungry?”

“Starving.”

“I’m sure that’s why you’re out here, isn’t? You just want to get a free meal out of me.” Spike opened the passenger door for his friend and walked around to the driver’s seat.

“Exactly, I’ve been planning on you showing up all week because I figured since you’re a man, you would wait until Friday to pick Parker’s gift and since the only toy store in Sunnydale happens to be across from my office…”

“How very conniving of you, pet. What do you have a hankering for? Anything special?”

“How about something not in Sunnydale? Giles took the rest of the day off.”

“Playing hooky when the boss is out of the office? Will your evil deeds ever come to an end?”

“Not if I can help it. You seem to be in a good mood today, Spike. What’s up?”

“Don’t know, I think it’s something in the air. Would you rather I be grouchy?” Spike started the car and began to drive out of town.

“No, this mood is fine but it makes me nervous. How’s Harm?”

“She’s still out of town.”

“Do you miss her?”

“Of course I do, she’s my girlfriend.”

“Have you told your sister yet?”

“No, she’ll be pissed. She hates Harmony…but actually in a moment of insanity I invited Harm to Parker’s birthday party.”

“Joy, shit is going to hit the fan, I’ll bring lots of film.”

“Ha…but I can’t keep my relationship with Harmony in the dark anymore. It’s not fair to Harmony or our budding relationship.”

“Then why didn’t you say anything in the first place? Harmony’s a nice girl to shop with but to be honest; I never thought you’d ever date her. You were always a dick about insisting on the intelligent girls…”

“Hey! Harm’s smart, just in a different way. I needed a change and I really do enjoy being around her.”

“Ok Will, I believe you.”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Where’d your good mood go?”

“Out for lunch.”
***

Now I’m officially homesick. I miss paved roads and streetlights and landmarks.

Buffy glared passing another tree, not sure if she had seen it before.

I could be going in circles; I have no clue.

Maybe if I don’t return in a few days Dawn will call the rescue team.

Only I would get lost in a place so tiny that you could spit across it.

Let’s drive this way, I thought, I won’t get lost, I thought.

Stupid me.

Peering up, she sighed at the dark blue sky.

Now it’s going to rain.

Great.
***

“You should slow down a bit.”

“Queen C, the speed demon is telling me to slow down?”

“Spike, even I try to be careful in the rain and it’s coming down pretty hard.”

“Right.” He turned on his high beams and his windshield wipers to full force.
***

Tensing up and griping the steering wheel, Buffy continued to drive through the storm. “Why does it always rain on me?” She sang weakly and turned off the radio so she could concentrate only on the road.

“Fuck.” She mumbled as another car approached from the opposite direction and blinded her with its lights. “Inconsiderate…” Glaring at the car and contemplating flipping off the driver, Buffy slowed down and prepared for it to pass.

“Oh God.”
***

“Spike you ok? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.” Cordelia turned in her seat and watched as the other car drove by, not seeing the driver.

“Um…I thought I knew the woman that was driving that car, but it was probably the rain messing with my vision.” Spike forced a laugh but still looked confused, with his eyebrows furrowed.

“Spike, who was it?”

“Don’t know. I think I’m due for another eye exam, that’s all…she was—it was nothing.”

Cordelia frowned, not impressed by Spike’s explanations. “Who the hell was it? What woman would make you that shaken, especially if you’re not even positive that you saw her?”

“Nobody.”

“William?”

“Nobody.”
***

Buffy covered her smile with the palm of her hand.

Oh God.

A flash of bleached hair and look what I’ve become.

She giggled and continued to beam.

I’m not even going to ruin it with a lot of what-ifs…

I’m ok with just believing that I saw him.
***

Exhausted but still feeling the afterglow of a glimpse of Spike, Buffy slowly trudged up to her house, letting the rain wet her clothes.

“She said I could call anytime.” Buffy dialed Dawn’s number, “Hey Dawn, it’s me Buffy. Do you think I could borrow your husband? I just bought a TV and I was hoping he could help me set it up, but if he’s busy or because of the rain…ok, that sounds good. I’ll see you guys soon.”
***

“I know I should’ve waited but I didn’t realize how much I missed my television until I started drooling in front of the display.” Buffy laughed and invited Dawn and her family into her house. She had changed into a sweatshirt and dry jeans. “Sorry, I’m such a pain.”

“No problem. Buffy this is Conner.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Just point me in the direction of your TV. Dawn has got me trained in helping damsels in distress.”

***

“This is fun, like a picnic but indoors.”

“But without a checked blankets, ants or food.” Yawning, Buffy sat on the floor across from Dawn and Parker.

“Long day?”

“Kinda. I shopped a bit, got lost for a few hours and got suck in the storm. My plans for tonight consist of more Ramen and bad TV movies.”

“Tomorrow will be better. If you’re bored you can come by the house earlier and help me set things up. Parker is having a Sesame Street party. I found the entire party set, complete with Cookie Monster paper cups and everything; it’ll be really cute.”

“How many people are coming?”

“Let’s see…” Dawn counted on her fingers. “We all make three and Will is four and he’s bringing Cordy and some mystery friend, so there’ll be six people, maybe seven if Angel shows.”

“Angel?”

“He’s a friend of the family.”

“He?”

“Yup Angel’s manly, but not according to Will.”

“I like hearing about your brother he sounds like fun.”

“He is…most of the time. William and Angel have a weird relationship, they annoy the hell out of each other and most of the time they’re fighting but underneath it all they’re probably best friends.”

“Awww.”

“I know, they’re a couple of brats. So ah, any news on the dream guy?” Dawn bit her lip and tried to look innocent while asking the question. “Have you seen him yet?”

“Well--.”

“Hey, I’ve got the TV hooked up.” Conner interrupted Buffy and pointed at the set. “If you have a VCR I’ll plug that in too.”

“Oh, that’d be great!” Jumping to her feet, Buffy ran off to find where she had left the VCR. “I’ll be back.”
***

“Dawnie.”

“What? It was just a question, Conner.”

“You said you’d back off until tomorrow and let them meet on their own.”

“Yeah, yeah, ruin all my fun, why don’t ya?”
***
Chapter 4 by facingthesun
Chapter 4

“Spikey! Spikey!” Harmony ran through the terminal with her arms weighed down with carryon luggage. “I’ve missed you sooo much!” She jumped into his arms and covered his face with strawberry scented kisses.

“Hey, Barbie, missed you too.” Spike spoke into her hair and blinked away the tears, her strong, sweet perfume stinging his eyes.

“Awww! Aren’t you just the cutest? My blondie bear missed me. Look at you, getting all teary eyed.”

“It’s been a long week without you, Harm.” He took her bags, resting one on each of his shoulders. “Tell me about your trip. How many credit cards did you max?” Spike held a hand to the small of her back and maneuvered her though the busy airport as Harmony gushed about her shopping vacation.
***

“Hi! You’re here early, come in.” Dawn led Buffy through the house. “I love that dress.”

“Thank you.”

“It’s good you brought a sweater because we’ll be outside all day. I figure we’ll set everything up, the decorations and the food and then we’ll sit and watch all the others clean up. How does that sound?”

“Sounds good. I’m much better at making a mess than cleaning one up. Where should I put my gift?”

“We’ll start a pile over there.”

Buffy nodded, “So where’s the birthday boy?”

“Upstairs watching TV with Conner. I think Conner’s hiding from me. I get kinda frazzled with these kinds of get-togethers especially today’s.”

“The first birthday is very important.”

“It sure is.” Dawn smiled, more excited that her brother and her new friend were soon to be reunited. “You want the honor of decorating? I have a bag of goodies that you can use?”

“Sure.”
***

Table cloth? Check. Napkins? Cups? Plastic silverware? Check, check, check.

What’s left?

Happy Birthday sign.

“Dawn, where’d you want the banner?”

“Um, is it long enough to be strung between the trees? That would be cute. But before you do that, I want you to meet Cordelia Chase.”

Cordelia came around the corner, scanning the backyard. “Hey.”

“Hi, nice to meet you.”

“Buffy just moved in next to William,” Dawn explained, smiling widely.

“Oh, so how do you like Sunnyhell? Bored yet? Speaking of William…” Cordelia wrinkled her nose, not used to hearing Spike being called by his given name. “He here yet?”

Dawn cleared her throat, “No William’s not here.”

“Good. I can’t wait till he shows up.”

“Why? No, on second thought, don’t tell me.” Dawn wasn’t sure if Cordelia knew about Buffy and Spike but she wanted to keep Buffy oblivious so seeing Spike would be a pleasant surprise.

Buffy looked between Dawn and Cordelia, lost and confused.

They all really like Dawn’s brother. She shrugged. “Nice to meet you Cordelia, I’ll let you guys talk and I’ll just you hang this.” She excused herself and looked for a chair to stand on.
***

“Harmony.” Spike spoke firmly, slowly loosing his patience.

“Don’t get snippy with me, Spikey, it’s just so hard to decide.”

“You always look lovely in pink, how ‘bout the dress?”

“But my boobs look the best in this.” Harmony showed him a lavender top and pouted, her lower lip jutting out. “But I don’t want to wear it.”

“Why not, baby?”

“Because I’m not in a purple kind of mood. This sucks.”

Good lord, it does. Spike sighed and glanced at the clock. “Harm, we’re runny ridiculously late. Just pick something, you look gorgeous in everything here.”

“I know. And that makes it even harder to decide.” Harmony sighed, upset by her dilemma. “Go without me, and I’ll come over when I’m done.”

“You sure? You won’t just stay here all day and play dress up?”

“No, no silly goose. I need to concentrate, besides I can hardly wait to see Cordy and little Dawnie again.”

“Ok, Tinkerbelle, I’ll meet you there.”

“Oooh, you know I love when you call me that, my sexy devil.”

“I am what I am.” He forced a wide smile and kissed her silent.
***

Buffy had one side of the birthday sign secure but the other side was giving her fits.

“Stupid sign.”

“Why don’t you try moving it down a little? I think that’ll make it straight enough. If not, we’ll say the trees are crooked.”

Buffy followed the voice’s directions and then looked over her shoulder. “Hey Conner. How does that look?”

“Good enough for me.” He offered her a hand and helped her off the chair. “So how’s it going so far?”

“Being the outsider? It’s alright, I guess.”

“Give it time, they’re an easy crowd to win over. And Dawn really likes you.”

“She’s a great person, but I’m sure you already know that.”

Conner smiled. “You want something to drink?”

“Sure.”
***

“Sorry. I’m late. Something came up. Oooh, Wheatabix.” Spike spoke to no one in particular and walked directly to the food table. “God, I’m starving.”

Dawn dove out of her conversation with Cordelia and grabbed Spike by the arm. “Hey Will, can I talk to you--.”

“What’s up? Why are you whispering?”

Dawn had him almost through the door, unnoticed by the other guests until Cordelia said, “Spike, you’re here. Dawn, don’t be rude. Buffy, come here and meet Dawn’s brother.”

“Cordelia!” Dawn snapped. She opened her mouth again but stopped when the doorbell rang. “Stay! Nobody move or say a word until I get back!”
***

“Angel, you have horrible timing—Harmony?”

“Hey, Dawnie! Let’s get this party started!”
***

“Spike, you’re here.”

Buffy swallowed her drink and froze, not answering Conner’s question.

“Dawn, don’t be rude. Buffy, come here and meet Dawn’s brother.”

Spike? Dawn’s brother? But I thought…William? Oh God…he said it was just a nickname…

Buffy didn’t turn around until she heard his voice.
***

I knew it was her in that storm.

Spike swallowed, seeing his dream girl standing mere feet away with his brother-in-law. Her blonde hair glittered in the sunlight and her cherry-patterned sundress blew slightly in the summer breeze hugging her delicately curved body.

“Oh God.”

“William, Harmony is here.”
***

“Hey guys!” Harmony nudged Spike and threaded their fingers together. “Spikey…introduce me.”

“Right. Ah, everyone this is Harmony Kendal, my girlfriend.”

“Your what?”

“Dawn, Harm and I have been dating for awhile.”

“How long?”

“Nineteen days.” Harmony answered for him and kissed Spike on the cheek. “And we’re sooo much in love, it was like love at first sight really. I saw him and then he saw me and then--.”

“Not now, Harm, you can give everyone a recap later.”

“Yes, later.” Dawn cleared her throat and pulled Spike away from his clingy girlfriend. “I need to talk to you. Now.”
***

Cordelia frowned, not knowing what was going on and not enjoying the feeling of being kept in the dark.

Why didn’t Dawn want Buffy to see Spike?

“Hey Buffy.”

“Huh?”

“You don’t look so hot. So, do you and Spike know each other?”

“Yes…well no, not really, I guess…um, maybe?”

“I see.”

Spike is so dead.

This is great! It should be Parker’s birthday everyday.
***

“Ow!”

“There’s a lot more where that came from.” Dawn gritted her teeth and hit Spike again in the arm. “You’re dating Harmony? Why?”

“Because I…I don’t have to explain myself to you. I can date whoever I want.”

“But do you really want to date that bimbo when Buffy’s living next door to you?”

“Speaking of that, how the hell did you find her and get her to actually move in? Or is this all a bloody joke? ‘Cause I for one don’t find it a bit humorous.”

“I’m not telling you why Buffy is in Sunnydale, if you want to know, you ask her yourself, you…you idiot.”

“Well I’ll just do that.”
***

“He’s the sweetest guy I’ve ever been with, it’s too bad he was such a geek high school, we’d be married with a houseful of kids by now, but he’s my platinum baby now, and I so know why he’s called Spike, he’s--.”

“I can imagine, can’t you? Buffy?” Cordelia’s eyes sparkled as she watched Buffy squirm.

“Yeah, but I think I’ll put those thoughts on hold…I’ll be right back.”

“You sure?”

“Yes, very. I just—I’ll be in the bathroom.”
***

“Oh, hey. You ok?” Spike took a step back after he and Buffy plowed into each other. “Sorry, I—I wasn’t’ paying attention.”

“That’s alright, I was on a do or die mission to the bathroom myself.” She looked him in the eye and gave him a little, weak grin. “Some party huh?”

“It’s been interesting to say the least. I’ll let you carry on with your mission but…ah, but I’d like to talk with you before we face the public again. That okay with you, pet?”

“Yeah. I’ll be back.”
***

“Hey.” Buffy straightened her dress, feeling very self-conscious once she saw him waiting for her in the kitchen.

“Here let’s sit.” Spike led Buffy into the living room and sat in a chair across from the spot she chose on the couch. “Well to start off I never thought I’d see you again.”

“Oh? Well here I am.” Buffy laughed nervously. “Please don’t think I’m a creepy stalker. I just moved here because I feel in love with my house.”

I’m lying, bad Buffy, lying to him…Spike. I still can’t believe it. I can’t believe he’s here and I’m talking to him and he has a girlfriend…

“That’s fine, Sunnydale’s a nice place, but it’s nice to see you again, really…it’s too bad you never showed for our date that night.”

“Yeah about that, something came up…but I really, really wanted to see you…that night, but I guess that’s all in the past now, you’ve got…Harmony.”

“I do.”

“You weren’t ah, seeing her when we met, were you?”

“No.”

“Oh, that’s good to know.”

“How’s the boyfriend?”

“He’s…he’s not doing too well last time I checked. We broke up awhile ago.”

“Sorry to hear about that.”

“I’m not.”

“What?”

“I’d rather not talk about it…if that’s ok with you, I mean.”

“That’s fine. No problem, I’m not here to pry.”

“You and Harmony make a cute couple. I wish you both another great nineteen days and many more after that too.”

“Ah, thank you.”

“Welcome.”

“We should get back.”

“Yeah.”

“Buffy?”

“Hmmm?”

“It’s really nice seeing you again.”

“You too, Spike.”
***

Buffy kept her distance. He would talk to Conner and she would look for Dawn. He would get up for food and she would wander off to another section of the backyard.

Kill me now. Her hand shook from nerves as she sipped her drink. I can’t believe this is happening.

“You guys we’re going to start opening Parker’s presents now,” Dawn announced with Parker in her arms. “Pull up a chair everyone.”

Buffy sighed and sat at the edge of their semi-circle near Cordelia. She kept her eyes glued on Dawn.

“This is from Buffy.” Dawn gave the first gift to Conner and watched as he ripped off the wrapping. “Awww! Thank you Buffy!”

Conner picked up the box and showed it to the group. “It’s a plastic aquarium.”

“I thought it was really cute.” Buffy explained, happy that the gift went over well. “It plays lots of different songs and the little fish move like they’re swimming and it can be strapped into the crib. But don’t start hating me if the music gets annoying.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. Thank you.” Dawn smiled and picked up the next gift. “This is from…Spike. I’ve been dreading this moment since Parker was born.”

“Hey! I resent that.”

Dawn glared and rolled her eyes.

“Hey, Spike you bought the same thing as Buffy did.”

“You’re kidding.” Dawn peered into Conner’s lap and smiled. “You two must think alike. How cute.”

“I have the receipt; you can return it.” Spike ignored Dawn’s comments and spoke quietly. “It’s a good gift though, I thought it was really neat actually and the fact that it makes lots of racket, that’s a bonus, so if it does get on your nerves be sure to blame me and not Buffy.” He smirked but halfheartedly.
***

“I’m going up front for a bit, I’ll be back.” Spike gave Harmony a quick kiss on the top of her head, “Off for a smoke.”

“Ok, hurry back.” Harmony smiled brightly and bounced in chair. “Cordy, where’re you going?”

“To help Dawn take the gifts inside, I’ll be back. Why don’t you have a little chat with Buffy? She looks lonely.”

“Alrighty. Hey! Hey Buffy! Come here!”

I really don’t like Cordelia, yup it’s official.

“Hey.” Buffy sat next to Harmony and forced a smile. “How are you?”

“I’m doing really good, you?”

“Super.”

“That’s good. So do you wanna know how I meet my blondie bear?”

“Blondie bear?”

“Spike. It was sooo romantic and I just want to share our love story with everyone, who knows, Buffy, maybe someday you’ll be as lucky as Spikey and me. Do you have a boyfriend?”

“No and I think I need to--.” Buffy eyed the yard, looking for an exit.

“Don’t worry about not having someone right now, you’re actually kinda pretty and I’m sure there’s some guy that’ll want you.”

“If you say so.” Buffy glared, deciding that she officially hated Harmony too. And Spike said I was air-headed… “Maybe someday I’ll find someone to love little ole me.”

“I hope so, I’ll have my fingers crossed for ya. Maybe if you changed your hair…I saw in this magazine a hair style that would work with your face so much better than the one you have now, maybe it would make your face look not as round--.”

“Harmony, you know what? I think I really have to go, look at the time, I’m just going to say goodbye to Dawn and Conner and I’ll be off. It was nice to meet you.”

“Oh I’ll probably see you tomorrow and then everyday after that.”

God. “Why?”

“You live next to Spikey, right? Well, I’m moving in with him tomorrow. We’ll be neighbors!”
***
Chapter 5 by facingthesun
Chapter 5

Spike took a slow drag from his cigarette and he jumped, startled when the screen to the front door slammed closed. “Buffy?” Without thinking, he ran after the blur of blonde hair and cherry-patterned fabric. “What’s the hurry? Leaving so soon?” He caught up to her before she could reach the end of the driveway. “Buffy?”

She stopped, taking a deep breath once he touched her bare arm. “I need to go.”

“But you haven’t had cake or ice cream, that’s the most important part of the birthday celebration, pet.” Spike frowned, seeing that Buffy was avoiding his eyes. “Is something wrong? Nothing happened, did it?”

“No, no, not all,” Buffy said. “I just—it’s getting late.”

“Oh, ok, I’ll walk you home then.”

“I think I can handle walking across the street, Spike. I’ll look both ways.”

“But who will be there to hold your hand?”

“Uh…” Buffy didn’t know how to respond so she started to walk.

“So…” Spike spoke, walking along side Buffy. “Any big plans of remolding the house?”

“Yeah, mainly just painting and doing some work in the kitchen and bathrooms. I like most of the house as it is.”

He nodded, “If you ever need help, I’m just a short walk away or you can scream out the front door like Dawn does so eloquently.”

“I’ll keep that in mind, thank you.” Buffy’s heart skipped a beat once Spike gave her a boyish grin. “But don’t you think you’ll have your hands full with Harmony?”

“What do you mean?” Spike eyed Buffy suspiciously, not sure that she was talking about.

“With Harmony moving in.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Harmony. She told me that you’re letting her move in.”

“With me?” Buffy nodded and Spike’s eyes widened in shock. “Into my house?”

“That’s what I gathered. You ok?” Buffy quickly unlocked the front door to her house once they had reached the porch. She turned and fought the need to giggle, seeing that Spike still looked surprised. “Spike?”

“Sorry, I’m just trying to think where I’m going to house her unicorn collection. She’s got millions of pastel colored ponies…all different sizes, colors, species…”

“Species? I thought all unicorns belonged to the same family.”

“That’s what I thought until I had the grueling tour…She’s named all of them… Dew Drop, Periwinkle, Rose Blossom…” He smiled, hearing Buffy giggle, “She’s moving in? I guess Harm and I are going to have a chat later.”

“I hope I didn’t start anything, I didn’t mean to,” Buffy said. “I assumed you knew.”

“Oh, don’t worry, I have a feeling that Harm thinks that I know too.” Spike chuckled. “She says I don’t listen or something like that, I can’t remember.”

“Cute. Do you always make fun of your girlfriend, Spikey? Does Harmony know that her blondie bear giggles at her expense?”

“Ah…I’m not—I just…”

“Hey,” Buffy laughed, “I’m teasing.” She playfully pushed on his arm. “Well, I hope you and Harmony straighten things up. I should get inside. I guess I’ll be seeing you around?”

“Yeah. Yes, of course.” Spike smiled, he seemed to be a daze.

“Ok, goodnight and thank you for walking me home.”

“It was my pleasure, Buffy.”
***

Buffy pulled the blanket higher to her neck and she tried to concentrate on the movie she was watching.

It’s not every day that the TV gods bless me with quality programming…

She sighed and turned up the volume, hopelessly forcing herself to watch the handsome actor on the television screen.

“Be strong, Buffy,” she said to the empty house. “Don’t stalk him, be strong.”

Buffy bit her lip, her mind wondered.

I could go outside and peek through the slats of the fence to see if he’s home yet. But if he’s with Harmony—ew. Or I could even go upstairs; my bedroom even has a nice view into his house. I can’t believe he’s been so close to me, right under my nose and I never even noticed. Hell, I’ve been talking to his sister and brother-in-law; I was practically becoming a member of the family.

“Grrr!” Buffy stood up in her brightly colored pajamas and she shuffled to the door. “I didn’t remember to get the mail today. Oh darn.”

Buffy opened the door, satisfied with her excuse to take her chances of getting a glimpse of her handsome neighbor.
***

“Maybe if you weren’t so quick to find a substitute for the girl, you’d be in there man, instead of out here feeling like shit. If she really moved to Sunnyhell for you…if she really wants you that bad, you won’t even have to beg for a shag like you usually do. You’ll just have to dump Harmony.”

“Ha, bloody, ha. You’re hilarious, Angel, especially when you imitate my accent. It’s priceless, really.”

Buffy walked quietly to the mailbox, overhearing Spike and the other man talking. Suddenly she hoped that she could run into the house without being seen in her cartoon-covered sleepwear.

What’s wrong with me? Seconds ago I had no problem with the possibility of him seeing my pjs and now I’m considering hiding in the bushes.

“Buffy?”

Crap.

“Oh, hi,” Buffy turned and she gave Spike a wave. “The party’s still going on I take it.”
“Yeah.” Spike looked Buffy up and down and even with a good amount of distance between them, Buffy could see him grin in the darkness.

“Oh, well, hope everyone’s having fun, I’m just going to--.”

“Wait, Spike, introduce me. You’re new to Sunnydale, aren’t you? Why don’t you come over and we can be introduced properly?”

“Angel, man.” Spike looked at his friend and he mumbled a few words that Buffy couldn’t make out.

“Um, I’m Buffy and since I’m kinda wearing my sleepy time ensemble I think I’ll just wave for now. If I walk over there, I’ll get my slippers dirty.”

Angel laughed and Spike looked uncomfortable.

“No problem, I understand. Nice to meet you, I’m Angel.” He covered his hand over his eyes as if to the block the sun, “I won’t make you dirty your slippers as long as you answer one question for me Buffy.”

“Ok,” Buffy said with a little smile, not sure how to react to the man.

“What’s on your pajamas?”

“Pink elephants and flowers. The slippers match too.” She held up her foot to model the slippers for the boys.

“They are very flattering on you, your pajamas.” Angel smiled, “Aren’t they, Will?”

Spike nodded, saying nothing.
***

“Spikey! There you are! Where have you been? I’ve been looking every where for you!” Harmony waddled over to him in her high heels. “I missed you,” she squealed before giving him a big hug.

“I’ve just been out front, Barbie, talking with Angel.”

“Oh,” she said while playing with the collar of Spike’s shirt. “Can we you home now? I’m getting bored.”

“Bored?”

“Yeah and I can think of better things we could be doing at home.” She winked, tapping his zipper with one of her manicured fingernails.

“Harm.” He batted her hand away from his jeans. “Not while my family’s here.”

“Then lets go home,” Harmony whined. “Please?”

Spike’s eye twitched at her continuous use of the word ‘home.’ “Alright, let’s say goodbye and we’ll go to my place.” He searched Harmony’s face to see if she caught his stress on ‘my place.’

“Ok! Oh, I’m so excited! I can’t wait!”
***

“You’re amazing.” Harmony cuddled into Spike’s body. “You make me so happy and it’s not even just the sex, I love being around you. You make me feel smart and pretty.” She pulled down the sheet so she could draw imaginary hearts on his chest. “Do you love me, Spike?”

“I care about you,” Spike said truthfully. He reached to run his fingers through her soft blonde hair. “I think you are smart and very, very pretty.”

Harmony smiled and she sighed loudly, “Spike, can I move in with you?”

“What about your apartment and your job,” he asked softly. “You said you’d never move backwards…you wouldn’t be caught dead in Sunnydale…”

“Do you not want me to move in?” Harmony stuck out her lower lip and Spike stared at it in amazement, even after hours of rolling around in bed, her lips still sparkled of perfectly applied, fruit flavored lip-gloss. “Do you not want--.”

Spike cut her off, covering her body with his and pushing her into the mattress. He kissed her deeply and then he said, “Move in with me.”
***

“Do you love her?”

“I don’t know but I’m getting tired of being asked that question.”

“You’re not sticking to the plan, Will. You were just supposed to use her, fulfill a few fantasies and then throw her back.”

“Angel, Harmony isn’t a bloody fish, you poof,” Spike snapped at his friend as they drove through the streets of Sunnydale.

“Ok, Harmony’s not a fish,” Angel admitted with a smile. “So, then what’s Buffy? If she’s not a keeper?”

“I’m not answering that. Besides, we barely know each other.”

“Alright, then tell me this: How’d Harmony worm her way into your house?”

“She didn’t worm--.”

“Was it before or after the sex?”

“After,” Spike glared.

“Did she suck you off?”

“You bastard, I’m not telling you a--.”

“Hey, hey, cool it,” Angel chucked as he turned the steering wheel. “Why’d you ask her?”

“Because. I know I don’t love her—I know that much…but I like her. She makes me feel wonderful, mate, she worships the ground I walk on. She’s like a perky little puppy, always around to nip at my heels and try her damnest to please me. I find myself practicing the ‘break up’ speech at least once a week but then she’ll do something: she’ll try to make me dinner or she’ll clean the house…it’ll be a disaster but in the end, I never give her the speech. I can never bring myself to hurt her like that.”

“Does this mean I can ask Buffy out? If you want nothing to do with her, can I try her out?”

“Try her out?” Spike’s glare returned in an instant.

“You can’t claim them both, you know.”

“I have no claim on Buffy.”

“I’m going to ask Buffy out on a picnic: a romantic outing under the stars, and I’ll fill her with stories that make me seem emotional and sweet and it’ll be my goal to be in her pants by sunrise--.”

“Then it’ll be my goal to hunt you down and rip your sodding head off,” Spike growled.

“My, aren’t you the protective one? No claim, my ass!” Angel burst into laughter. “Thanks for proving me right, I appreciate it.”

“I hate you.”

“You just know that I’m right.”

“She’s a nice lady, she doesn’t deserve to have a prick like you slobbering over her.”

“I agree, that’s why I plan on asking her to dinner and a movie instead. I plan on being on my best behavior, a gentlemen and all that shit.”

“Bollocks.”

“Awww, you’re jealous, Will. I’m going to date your dream girl and you can’t.”

“Well, we’ll just have to see if Buffy’ll agree to be seen in public with you, now won’t we? You’d better not get your hopes too high, mate, I have a feeling that Buffy’ll have no problem crushing you hopes like a little, nasty bug.”
***
Chapter 6 by facingthesun
Chapter 6

“I don’t know what to say.” Dawn sat across from Buffy, starting a conversation instantly.

“Hey, good morning to you too. Is this a bad time to say I want the waffles?”

“Waffles!” Dawn screamed towards the kitchen. “Anything special you want in them? Blueberries, strawberries, chocolate chips?”

“Chocolate please.” Buffy grimaced as Dawn yelled again to complete her order.

“He’s insane.” Dawn said, lowering her voice. “I had no idea about Harmony. I’m so sorry.”

“Oh, don’t be. I shouldn’t have been so naïve.”

“No, he shouldn’t have been so stupid.”

“Looks like I’m tearing up the family. Nice.” Buffy laughed softly, “I hate when I have that affect on people.”

“Buffy,” Dawn sighed, “My brother… Will, he doesn’t know what he’s doing or who he’s with. Harmony’s not his type at all.”

“And what do you think is his type?”

“Yo--.”

“Just stop right there, Dawn. Don’t just say me, really think about it. Think back to who he’s dated in the past.”

“Ok.” Dawn sat in silence until Buffy’s breakfast arrived.

“Thank you.” Buffy give the waiter a smile and she unwrapped her silverware. She was laying her napkin in her lap when Dawn began talking again.

“He hasn’t dated a lot. He gets too antsy with the dating scene, you know? He usually finds a girl and he’s with her forever or until she breaks his heart. He likes unique girls, they’re never ordinary.” Dawn smirked, “In fact, I’ve thought that all of his girlfriends were very strange.”

“And Harmony isn’t a little on the wacky side?”

“You’re really ok with Will being with Harmony? You don’t feel like you’ve been slapped in the face or that she’s stolen your dream man?”

“Oh, Dawn, no one’s taking away my dream man. He’s mine.”

“Maybe I was wrong before, maybe you’re the insane one?” Dawn asked, concern in her eyes. “What about all that lovey dovey stuff you were spouting before?”

“What can I do? He’s taken.” Buffy frowned for the first time that morning. “To me, if he were to dump Harmony automatically after seeing me…or any other girl for that matter, I’d think he was the biggest dick ever.”

“Dick, eh? You must be talking about me. Good morning, Dawn. Buffy.”

“Good morning.” Buffy greeted Spike but Dawn remained silent. “And I wasn’t calling you a dick--.”

“I was,” Dawn said sternly. “And if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to help some of my customers. I’ll talk to you later, Buffy.”

“Ah, bye.” Buffy watched as Dawn stomped off. “Guess you’re in the doghouse?”

“She hasn’t spoken to me since Harmony moved into my place. I tried to visit Parker the other day and I was pretty sure she had the locks changed,” Spike chuckled but Buffy could detect a bit of pain in his eyes.

“Sit, Spike. Have you eaten? I could use some company,” Buffy offered with a smile.

“I don’t know if I should trust the food here,” Spike said, taking a seat across from her. “Dawn’ll have them spitting in my scrambled eggs.”

“Like waffles? She had them made for me, so they should be safe. I’m stuffed.” Buffy pushed her plate across the table. “Help yourself, if you’re hungry and not afraid of my cooties. I hate to waste the rest of it.”

“You’re too kind, pet.” Spike smiled at her warmly. He used a clean fork and started eating on the half that Buffy had left untouched. “Mmmm, I love these with the chocolate chips. I was the one that made Dawn put it on the menu. Who wants fruit and healthy stuff for breakfast?”

“Not me.”

“That’s right, weren’t you having an ice cream drink or something like that when we meet that morning?”

“Yup, but you caught indulging in some comfort food.”

“Indulging, eh? I remember four distinct swallows and then you tossing everything away after I pissed you off.”

Buffy felt her excitement grow, “Someone really paid a lot of attention, huh?”

“I—I didn’t—I…” Spike stumbled, a faint blush coloring his cheeks.

“What was I wearing?”

“All pink. A ruffley skirt and a pink top,” he answered quickly, avoiding Buffy’s eyes.

“You called me Pinky…Memories,” Buffy sighed, her heart racing. “So, how’s Harmony?” Buffy struggled with saying her name but she needed to remind herself that Harmony still existed.

“She’s…she’s good. I’m still getting used to sharing my space. I’ve never lived with someone before.”

“It’ll take awhile. When I lived with Riley…it was good.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. Sure thinking about him makes me queasy now but before it was kinda nice. It was like a never-ending slumber party.”

“But it did. End?”

“Oh yeah and quickly too.”

“But you stayed with him for three years?”

“Wow, I could pop quiz you on everything related to that day and you’d pass with flying colors.” Buffy watched as Spike looked away again. “You’re right, I was with him for a long time and not all of it was good.”

“May I ask why you stayed with him? He sounds like a bastard. Living with him must’ve been hell.”

“Puppy love, I guess. He was my first real boyfriend. I hear that it’s common to have problems letting go of your first.” Buffy paused and they sat in silence. “If you want advice on how to break up with Harmony, I’m not the girl to ask. Go to your sister, she’ll help and it’ll make her day.”

“I—ah…”

“I’m teasing, Spike.” Buffy rested her chin on her hands. “You’re just asking some weird questions for a guy who’s smitten and in love with his girlfriend.”

“I’m sorry if I was being out of line.”

“I didn’t say you were. I was probably the out of line one. I should be apologizing to you. I had no right to insinuate that you’re unhappy with Harmony. You must be hearing it a lot lately.”

“Tell me about it. It seems that everyone is interested in my love life.”

“You may want to make that our love life,” Buffy suggested softly. “People, I won’t name any names, seem to think you and I should be together, but that’s absurd right? You’ve got Harmony and I’ve got some mystery guy out there waiting for me.” She forced a laugh.

Spike laughed with her, an uncomfortable look on his face. “That’s totally absurd.”

“Totally,” Buffy repeated, trying not to look disappointed. “Well, it’s been nice talking with you, Spike but I’ve got to run.”

“Of course, don’t let me keep you.” Spike wiped off his mouth with his napkin and he stood as Buffy got out of her chair. “Thank you for the meal, Buffy.”

“Anytime.”

“And the conversation. I enjoyed that as well.”

“Me too.”

“I look forward to running into you again.”

“Me too. Well. I gotta…” Buffy pointed to the door.

“Right.”

“Bye,” Buffy waved, running for the exit.
***

“Harm! Home!” Spike tossed his keys on the table and he took off his leather jacket.

“You didn’t do it right.” Harmony appeared in the hallway, pouting. “You’re supposed to say: Honey, I’m home. We agreed that that would be really cute.”

“Sorry, kitten. Forgot.” He kissed her softly on the forehead as she hugged him. “Next time I’ll make a point to do it right.”

“You’re late, Spikey. I thought you were only going to be gone for a few minutes. How long does it take to return some movies?”

“Stopped off to see Dawn.”

“Oh! Is Dawnie talking to us again?”

“No, sorry, pet.”

“I didn’t think she’d turn into such a major bitch after she found out that we were dating. I was looking forward to spending time with her.” Harmony put her nose into Spike’s chest and she inhaled deeply. “Damn, you always smell good, baby.”

“Thank--” Spike started to speak but Harmony stopped him, pulling his head down for a kiss.

“Angel called,” Harmony announced after pulling her mouth away. “He wants to double tonight.”

“Double,” Spike asked, his head fuzzy from their kiss.

“Dinner and a movie. He’s bringing Buffy.”

“He’s wh--.” Harmony broke him off again with another kiss. “Bloody hell, Harm, let me finish a sentence.”

“You’re mad at me.”

“No,” Spike sighed. “I just saw Buffy and she didn’t mention anything about a date.”

“Did you ask her?”

“Well, no. I had no idea the sodding date was happening.”

“You lied, you’re mad,” Harmony frowned. “What did I do?”

“You didn’t do anything, Barbie, I swear it. I’m not mad at you.” Spike smiled, his frustration mounting. “If I’m mad at anyone, its Peaches.”

“Peaches,” Harmony giggled and wrinkled her nose. “I haven’t heard you call him Peaches since high school.”

“What can I say, pet? Old habits die hard.” He walked away from Harmony and towards the bedroom, muttering under his breath. “I’m going to kill him.”
***

“I can’t believe you’re going through with this, you ass!” Angel made a face, pulling his ear away from the cell phone. “Buffy, can you excuse me for a minute? I need to take care of this.”

“Sure.” Buffy watched as Angel turned his back and talked to the screaming voice on the other line.

Somebody’s not happy, Buffy thought.

She had been walking back from the diner when Angel jogged by. He stopped and they had an entertaining conversation. Buffy enjoyed herself, mentally tallying and keeping a count of every time he flirted and fed her a new line.

This guy is too much; Buffy found herself thinking the same phrase over and over.

“Hey, hey, it’s not what you think, man…Stop calling me Peaches you bastard!”

Sounds like the other guy is winning. Peaches? Buffy giggled out loud and it caused Angel to look over his shoulder and grin at her.

“Don’t you dare come out here. I mean it!” Angel growled before abruptly turning off his cell phone. “Sorry ‘bout that, Buffy. My friend…he’s unstable.”

“Peaches?”

“Long story,” Angel chuckled. “A long story that I’d love to tell you over dinner tonight.” Angel stared at her, his eyes dazzling. “I’d love to get to know you better, Buffy. I’m meeting some friends for a movie and we could ditch them afterwards and get something to eat, what do you think?”

“Will unstable friend be there?”

“No…no, we keep him locked up.”

Buffy smiled, “You seem like a nice guy but--.”

“Wait. Wait.” Angel motioned her to stop. “Before you say anything, let me explain further. Sit.”

“On the curb?”

“Sure, unless you want to go back to my place…”

“No, I like the curb.” Buffy sat and she looked up, waiting for Angel to join her.

“Hell, you’re really not head over heels for my charm yet, are you?”

“Should I be?” Buffy looked at Angel in shock, not sure what he was up to.

“I was trying hard you know.” Angel smiled, color reaching his cheeks but he pretended not to notice his blush. “I want to help you get Spike.”

“Huh?”

“You and Spike are like soulmates and you guys should be together. I want to help you out.”

“By doing what? What do you know about me and Spike?”

“Well, to answer your first question: I want to make Spike jealous. We’ll date and pretend to be together. It’ll drive him crazy and straight into your arms. You want that, don’t you?”

“I…”

“And to answer your second question: I knew firsthand from Will. He told me all about your meeting. He rambled around for weeks about meeting the girl of his dreams.” Angel rolled his eyes but the smile never left his face.

“Oh God.”
“I know.”

“But what’ll you get out of it? If I agree, of course.”

“Peace of mind. I set him up with Harmony. I never thought he’d stay with her, I thought I’d be a one-nighter, but Will’s not the type. And, you were at the Parker’s party right?”

“Yeah.”

“Did you see that gorgeous girl with the dark hair and big eyes?

“Eh…” Buffy thought back, “Cordelia?”

“I think our plan could hit birds with one stone. Cordy and I used to date and I want her back.”

“You can’t just ask her out? Tell her how you feel?”

“My girl’s not that easy. She’s a puzzle…so is it a date?”

“I…I don’t know. It’s a lot to take in. And I don’t want to intentionally break him and Harmony up.”

“Why not?” Angel moved back when Buffy glared. “Got ya. Morals. Ok, just think about it. Even if you don’t want to go through with my scheme, I’d love to see you with us tonight.” He leaned over and whispered in her ear, “Just think of what you could be letting slip through your fingers, Buffy. Spike’s an idiot, sometimes he needs to be pushed into the right direction. I know if we work together, you’ll have him in no time.”
***
Chapter 7 by facingthesun
Chapter 7

"Damn Buffy, you look gorgeous."

"Thanks," Buffy mumbled with a modest grin. "Let me get my purse." With her bag over her shoulder, she slipped out of the screen door without allowing Angel inside her home. "I haven't decided if I want to be a part of your plan yet."

"Oh, no rush. Take your time. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Spike takes one look at you in that dress and dumps Harm on the spot."

"That sounds like some wishful thinking," Buffy laughed as they made their way next-door. "You know, Angel, you clean up pretty well yourself."

"Aw, thank you." He flashed her a smile before ringing the doorbell to Spike's house. "Where are they?" he said, pushing the button four times in a row.

"Hey, stop. Maybe they aren't home?"

"Oh, they're in there. William! Open up!"

Buffy was about to shove him away from the house when the door opened and Spike peeked out.

"I fucking hate you, Peaches," he growled.

Spike’s hair was messy and he had a dress shirt on but it wasn't buttoned. Buffy's mouth went dry after seeing his bare chest and how low the waistband of his jeans hung on his hips.

"That's not a polite way to talk in front of a lady." Smirking, Angel brought Buffy into Spike's view. "Aren't you going to ask me and my date into your cozy abode?"

"Hi, Spike." Buffy squirmed, knocking Angel's hand off her shoulder. "I hope we didn't interrupt anything. I told him to lay off the doorbell but he wouldn’t listen."

"Buffy, I didn't see you hiding out there." In a kinder, gentler voice, Spike smiled at her warmly. "You look beautiful, pet. Come in and let me show you around. Harmony won't be ready to go any time soon. Can I get you a drink or something?"

"I know I'm dying of thirst." Walking past the couple, Angel lounged on the couch and turned on the television. "Get me a beer, man."

"Let's ignore the sod." As Spike buttoned his shirt, he motioned for Buffy to follow him into the kitchen. "You didn't mention this morning that we'd be having dinner together."

"I didn't know. I ran into Angel on my walk home."

"Well it's a pleasant surprise. Take a seat and I'll see if we have anything worth drinking. So, you’re dating Angel?"

Buffy blinked, taken aback, “Uh, no.”

"Looks like we need to go shopping," he muttered, closing the refrigerator door with his hip. He sat next to Buffy and set two Cokes on the table. "I'm sorry. It’s just—Angel? He's so...Angel," he said, making a disgusted face. “Can’t you do better than that big ape?”

"He's not so bad when you're not around," Buffy teased, taking a sip from her can of soda. "But when you are, he's a big brat. And as for me being able to do better, I don’t know how to answer that. Should I be offended?”

“No, no. I don’t want to offend you, pet. I don’t want Angel to mess with you, that’s all. He’s known to love them and leave them in the same breath and if he did that to you,” Spike shook his head and laughed, “it wouldn’t be pretty.”

“It’s sweet for you to be concerned, but...”

“But I should butt out?”

“Yeah that sounds about right.”

“Alright, I’ll try.”

“I’m not really dating him,” Buffy confessed, looking anywhere but at Spike’s face. “I’m not interested in him that way. I wouldn’t mind being his friend though.”

“It’s a relief to hear that, pet.”

“You’d really have a problem if I dated Angel?”

“I...no—yes. It’s silly, isn’t it? Here we barely know each other and I feel so bloody protective of you. Maybe I’m just crazy--.”

“You’re not crazy, Spike. It’s like with me and Dawn, it feels like we’re long lost best friends and we’ve only know each other for a little while. And with you and me, it’s kind of like that too... You seem so...familiar to me, even from the first time we met, you know?”

Spike nodded, not saying anything.

“Okay, did I just make things awkward?”

“No,” he said softly. “Can I ask you a question?” When Buffy nodded, Spike cleared his throat. “Why didn’t you come to me that night? Why’d you stand me up, Buffy?”

“I didn’t do it intentionally, Spike. I was--.”

“Spike! I’m ready! Where are you?”

“In here, Harm! Shit, can we finish this later?”

“Um, sure,” Buffy said with a nod.
***

“Seemed like the talk in the kitchen was intense.”

“Were you eavesdropping?”

“Just a tad,” Angel admitted. “So, why didn’t you meet him? He thinks you were out with your boyfriend. Do you want popcorn?” Angel paid for their Cokes, candy and popcorn, and they made their way to the theater with their hands weighed down. “He was practically thrown out of that coffee place. He would’ve waited all night.”

“Angel, I have a very good excuse why I wasn’t there.”

“Tell me. They can wait to get their food, let’s sit.” They sat next to each other on a little bench in the hallway. “Spike was hurt that you didn’t show--.”

“I didn’t do it on purpose.”

“Hey, I didn’t say you did.”

“Angel, I’m not sure that I can talk about it with you. I barely know you.”

“You can’t keep me in the dark. We’re in this together--.”

“I haven’t agreed to anything yet.”

“What happened and why are you so uptight about it?”

“I met Spike on my anniversary, alright? I’d been with my boyfriend for three years and he forgot our anniversary and that brought everything else up to the surface. We had nothing in common; we never spent much time together—stuff like that. I was planning on breaking up with him the day I ran into Spike. I was going to dump Riley and then see Spike afterwards.”

“And?”

“And Riley took the news bad. He...hit me and I was put in the hospital.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Do I look like I’m kidding?” Buffy said, glaring even though tears were in her eyes. “I wanted to go, but I was too busy getting my head sewn up.”

“Oh, that sucks.” Angel put down the candy and popcorn he was holding to give her a friendly pat on the shoulder. “And Spike has no idea—damn, this sucks.”

“What do you mean?”

“Nobody deserves to be knocked around, Buffy.” He pulled her closer to his chest and Buffy surprised herself by instantly feeling comfort in his arms. “I had no idea. I’m sorry that I pestered you.”

“It’s okay.” Buffy sat up and wiped her eyes. “Is my mascara messed up?”

“You still look gorgeous. Buffy, you’ve got to tell Spike about this. It could change everything.”

“How?”

He cupped her face with one of his hands and grinned. “Just trust me.”
***

Angel made a point to have Buffy and Spike sit together in the movie theater. He also claimed that he forgot that Spike wanted popcorn and suggested that Buffy share hers with Spike.

“Guess we should move this up,” Spike said, pulling up the armrest between them so the popcorn tub rested on his left leg and a part of her right. “Would you mind if I toss some of Harm’s M&Ms in here?” Buffy shook her head and he narrowed his eyes, “You alright?”

“What do you mean?”

“Your eyes look puffy. Have you been crying?”

“Hey! I said you could have some of my M&Ms!” Harmony snatched the bag from Spike and pouted. “There’s like none left, Spikey.”

“Would you like me to buy you another bag?”

“Would you? You’re so good to me!”

Spike sighed and gave Buffy a sympathetic grin before standing on his feet. “I’ll be back and hopefully I won’t miss too much.”

“Oh!” Harmony called out, “Can you get me the peanut kind this time?”
***

“Are you feeling sick to your stomach too? Can’t he beat her away with a stick?”

“Angel…” Buffy closed her eyes, but the sound of Spike and Harmony’s smacking lips still rang in her ears.

“You want to get out of here?”

Buffy peeked open an eye, “Yes, please. I don’t think I can handle this.”
***

“Harmony, stop.”

“No, no,” she whispered before sliding her tongue into Spike’s mouth again.

Spike tried to control his temper as he wondered where Angel took Buffy. “Harmony, get off.”

“Why?” she whined. “This is what we always do at the movies.”

“Not when we’re with another couple.”

“They’re gone now. You wanna,” she brushed against the button of his jeans and smiled.

“No!”

“Why not?”

“Having you been listening to me?”

“But Spike,” she pouted, trying to open his pants.

“Get off of me!” Spike growled, pushing her away. “What is wrong with you?”

Harmony’s eyes filled with tears and her lower lip trembled. “Spikey?”

“Oh, hell.” Instantly feeling guilty, he reached for her and winced as Harmony jumped away from him. “Barbie…”

“No! Just stay away from me!”

“God help me,” Spike grumbled as Harmony stormed out of the movie theater sobbing.
***

Buffy turned on the faucet in the bathroom and was surprised to see Harmony rush past. “Harmony?”

“Don’t talk to me!”

Frowning, Buffy inched closer to stall she was hiding behind. “Did something happen? Do you want to, uh, talk?”

“No! Go away!”

“Okay,” Buffy said quietly, heading to the door.

“He’s so mean to me! He was my sweet boo-boo before, but lately, he’s just been a freak! He won’t let me touch him in public and that’s what our whole relationship was based on in the beginning!” She swung open the door and blew her nose in a wad of toilet paper. “He wants to know what’s wrong with me, but he’s the crazy one! What do you think is going wrong between us?”

“Uh,” Buffy blinked, “to be honest, I’m still trying to get over ‘sweet boo-boo’…”

“Sometimes I don’t think he loves me as much I love him. I mean, we may look like the perfect couple, but we’re not!”

Not sure what to say, Buffy patted her on the shoulder.

“He hates the things that I like—I don’t even know why I put up with him, you know?”

“Harmony…”

“But then I think of how much he’d miss me. He wouldn’t be able to live without me.”

“It sounds like--.”

“And I don’t want him to be suicidal or anything. So, I guess, I’ll have to let him beg for my forgiveness.” She controlled her tears and walked to the mirror. “Can I borrow your purse? I need to touch up my face.”

“Eh, wow. You got over that…quickly.”

“Thanks to you. You’re great, Buffy. Somehow I feel like I could talk to you about just anything.”

“Oh, you’re…welcome, I think.”
***
Chapter 8 by facingthesun
Chapter 8

“I’m still not talking to you, mister.” Harmony sauntered out of the bathroom and spoke to Spike without looking at him. “You’ll be lucky if I’m even coming home tonight because Buffy already said that I could stay at her house tonight.”

Buffy’s eyes widened and she ran after Harmony with Spike on her heels. “Hey! I...I’m not ready for company!”

“Harm, you can’t just invite yourself into Buffy’s home!”

“Don’t tell me what I can and can’t do!” Harmony pushed through the doors of the movie theater and stomped into the parking lot.

“People, I hope you’re all happy.” Angel strolled after the group with his hands jammed in his pockets. “We’ve been kicked out of the theater. Harmony for life and the rest of us for a few years...at least.”

“Pet, I’m sorry. Think about it and you’ll agree that,” Spike looked from his girlfriend to Buffy and swallowed. “I’m sorry.”

“Too bad. I’m riding with Buffy!”
***

Harmony squealed and turned up the radio so it was blaring. “This is great! It’ll totally teach him for treating me like crap!”

“I really don’t have enough furniture for a houseguest. I just stopped sleeping on the floor yesterday and-and--.”

“I’m not staying with you, silly!”

“But you said...”

“No way! I’m planning on a night full of make-up sex. Maybe you should give Spike a ring so I know where I’m heading.”

“Oh, okay.” Buffy dug through her bag and took out her cell phone. “Just, ah, give me the number.”
***

“This is Spike.”

Buffy couldn’t help but grin at the grouchy tone of his voice. “Hey, it’s Buffy. Harmony wanted me to call--.”

“Don’t say that!” Harmony screamed in the background.

“Oh, never mind. Harmony’s still mad at you and she didn’t want me to call.”

“This is so bloody embarrassing. It’s becoming the night from hell and I’m sorry about that, pet.”

“Hey, it’s been exciting to say the least. We-I mean, I was just wondering if we were going to dinner and if so, where?”
***

“I’m sitting next to Buffy.”

“Does that mean I have to sit next to Spike? I wanted to sit next to Buffy.”

“You guys are killing me.”

“Me too,” Spike grumbled.

“If Harmony doesn’t want to sit next to Spike and if I don’t want to sit next to Spike--we can do this. Harm sits next to me and Buffy’s the unlucky one that has to sit next to the bad, rude man.”

“Just park it, people,” Spike mumbled, pulling out Buffy’s chair. “Angel.”

“What?”

“Get the chair for Harm.”

Angel looked at Spike as if he were crazy. “You could walk around the table. She’s your girlfriend.”

“Angel.”

He stood, cursing Spike under his breath. “Let me get that because it’s the, uh, gentlemanly thing to do and...wouldn’t want you to hurt yourself or something.”
***

“Spike’s buying the drinks, girls. Get whatever you’d like.”

“Oh, I am?”

“Man, we need something to loosen up this party, don’t you think?”

“Weren’t we loose enough at the movies?”

“Yeah, but now no one is talking.”

“I’m enjoying the silence,” Spike said through clenched teeth. “I find it refreshing.”

“I just think you’re too cheap,” Angel answered with a smirk.

“I second that. A lot,” Harmony added. “I want to drink. Buffy does too.”

“Why do you insist on talking for her? Buffy didn’t say--.”

“Why does that worry you so much, Spikey?”

“Because she--.”

“Whoa!” Buffy held up her hands. “Stop fighting over me! Harm, if you want to drink, do it! Can’t you pay for yourself? And you,” she looked at Spike, “cool it.”

“What about me, Buffy?” Angel teased. “Any demands?”

“Just shut up. Now,” she said, grabbing the drink menu away from Angel’s hands. “I haven’t had a drink in the longest time, tell me what’s good.”
***

“God, this is good.” Buffy took another long sip from her fruity drink. “I have this theory: if something looks pretty, it’ll taste good.”

“You know, that so funny! I have that same theory about guys!”

Buffy couldn’t help giggle. “I can see how that’d work.”

“Take Spike for example! Yummmy! Let me tell you--.”

“I must be officially tipsy now,” Buffy said between more laughter, “because I totally want to hear what you have to say.”

“Yeah,” Angel added with mock-enthusiasm. “Just how yummy is he?

“Well--.”

“Say one word,” Spike threatened. “You thought I was pissed before, Harm.”

“See how mean he is?”

“He is snippy. Why are you so mean to your girlfriend, Spikey?” Buffy grinned and turned to him with her drink in her hand. “Why don’t you act like her sweet boo-boo anymore?”

“Sweet boo-boo, man? Is that true?”

“Oh yeah. Sad but true,” Buffy said, joining Angel as he snickered.

“I think you’ve had enough to drink, pet”

“Touch my drink, pretty boy and I’ll beat you up. I asked you a question, Spike. Why are you mean to your girlfriend?”

"Looks like we've got a violent drunk on our hands," Angel said, looking amused. "You'd better answer the question."

"Peaches, you are not helping."

Buffy scooted closer to Spike so their thighs were touching and patted his arm. "I'm waiting, blondie bear."

“Buffy,” he said, quietly, “You shouldn’t...this just going to get messy, pet. You’re drunk and not thinking clearly.” He picked up her hand and squeezed it before placing it on the table. “Don’t do this. She doesn’t need to know what I feel for you.”

“What’s going to get messy?” Harmony demanded, leaning across the table. “What are you whispering about?”

Buffy felt as if she were hypnotized by Spike’s pleading blue eyes. Her heart ached for him to explain his feelings, but she knew the timing was off. “Uh,” she touched her wrist as if hoping she could still feel the warmth of his touch. “I just don’t think you should treat her badly...”

“I didn’t--.”

“But Harmony thinks you did and because of that, you’ve got some apologizing to do.” Buffy pushed away her drink. “Excuse me, I need to...to go throw up.”
***

“What was that?”

“Angel! What are you doing?”

“It’s not like I can see anything,” he said, still sticking his head into the women’s restroom. “What happened back at the table? I thought you were going to crack him, but then you backed off, why?”

Buffy wiped off her mouth with a paper towel and searched for gum in her bag. “I want to go home.”

“Buffy, everything was going great--.”

She pulled open the door and walked into the restaurant. “I’d like to puke in my own house. I need a ride home.”

“I’ll make Spike do it.”

“Angel--.”

“No,” he touched her arm and brought her aside. “You’re having doubts and it could be the alcohol talking--I don’t have a clue--but I do know that no matter what, you’ve got to tell him about that ex of yours and what he did to you.”

“I’ll tell him later when my head stops spinning.”

“No, do it tonight. Make him take care of you. He’s the type that’ll do it, Buffy. He’ll hold back your hair. He’ll wait on you hand and foot.”

“Why? He has a girlfriend--.”

“He doesn’t love her.”

“Angel, I really do not feel good and I’m so, not in the mood for this.”

“I’m not driving you home.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Fine.”

“Does this mean we aren’t going through with my plan?” Angel called out as Buffy stomped away angrily.
***

“I need a ride.” Harmony and Spike were sitting next to each other and Buffy assumed that they had made up. “Angel said he can’t take me home.”

“No problem, love. How are you feeling?”

“Bad. Can we go now?”

“You ready Harm?”

Harmony nodded with a goofy grin on her face. Her arms were wrapped tightly around Spike’s waist. “I want to go home,” she said before whispering something in Spike’s ear that made him look uncomfortable and blush.

“Ah, alright, let’s go girls.”
***

Buffy sat in the backseat with her head back. She could see Spike watching her in the rearview mirror as he drove, but she didn’t care.

“Here we are. Home sweet home.”

“We’ve got so much make-upping to do,” Harmony sang. “You can find your own way home, right Buffy?”

“I guess.” She rolled out of the car and tried to catch her balance by holding the side of Spike’s car. “Thanks for everything, guys.”

Wobbling in her heeled shoes, she walked along the sidewalk and almost made it up the driveway before she tripped. Fully prepared to fall, Buffy closed her eyes, but was surprised to feel strong arms around her, stopping her from hitting the pavement.

“I’ve got you.”

“Spike,” Buffy gasped, as he spun her gently so she faced him. “You...should be with Harmony.”

“True. You’re right.”

“But you’re...not?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Had to save you from falling on your face in a drunken stupor.”

“I’m not that drunk and I blame the driveway. It tripped me.”

He smiled, but looked serious. “I also wanted to continue the conversation we had in the kitchen. It seemed like it was going somewhere interesting.”

“Oh, that.”

“Unless you feel too sick, then I can go back to Harm,” he said, pointing towards his house.

“You’d pick talking with me over a steamy night of make-up sex—God, what am I saying? Please don’t answer that.” She blushed and headed to the front door.

“You can blame it on one too many fruity drinks,” Spike suggested quietly.

Buffy nodded, inviting Spike inside. “This shouldn’t take too long. You’ll be back to your honey in no time.”
***

Buffy quickly slipped off her dress and pulled on a more comfortable outfit as she tried to forget that Spike was in her living room.

“It’s no use, can’t stay calm,” she grumbled, fluffing her hair and struggling not to touch up her makeup. “But I can’t look too desperate...”

Looking in the mirror one last time, Buffy adjusted her tank top and sweatpants, making she wasn’t showing too much skin, but that there was enough to catch Spike’s attention.

“God, please let Angel be right...”
***

The sound of Buffy’s bare feet hitting the wooden floor caused Spike to look up from twiddling his thumbs.

“I tried to hurry.”

“I’m in no rush.”

Buffy smiled and sat next to him on the couch, folding her legs underneath her. Her hair was up in an untidy ponytail and Spike thought she looked as striking in sweatpants as she did in the dress she had been wearing.

“Okay,” she said, positioning herself so she could look at him and rest her head against the back of the couch as she spoke. “Before I start, there’s a Kleenex box behind you if things get bad. I’ve been known to suffer from what my best friend Xander calls projectile crying.”

“That sounds like a serious condition.”

“It is,” Buffy sighed. “Let me tell you...”

“I hope you will, Buffy.” He turned and mirrored the way she was sitting, hoping that it would somehow make her feel more at ease. Spike didn’t know what Buffy had up her sleeve, but he could tell from her behavior that she was nervous to reveal the information.

“It’s cozy to sit like this, huh?”

“More than I thought it would be.”

Buffy grinned softly and scooted forward so their faces were only a few inches apart. “You’ve proven to me that you have a great memory—nearly photographic—do you see anything different about me?”

“How hard should I look?” His eyes swept down her body and he swallowed seeing hardened nipples poking through her thin shirt. “I think you’d better give me a general area to, ah, search.”

“My face, Spike.”

“Oh, that was my first stop...”

“Liar.”

Knowing he had been caught checking her out, Spike chose to drop the subject. “Come a bit closer? Can I use hands or no?”

“Hands? It’s not like you gave me a facial--.”

“Always the wise-cracker,” he mumbled with a laugh. “But that’s alright, I like humor in a girl.”

“Is that why you laugh at Harmony all the time?”

Spike didn’t respond; he was too busy taking advantage of the golden opportunity Buffy had given him. With his eyes, he followed the curves of her full lips and studied the hazel of her eyes.

“Why are you smiling?” she whispered, looking shy. “Find something funny?”

“You have a very charming nose. Very distinctive with the little indentions, very...cute.”

“My nose is cute?”

Spike picked up on the grin Buffy tried to force back. “I know what’s different.”

“Oh?”

“I’m not blind, love. I’ve seen the scar on your forehead.”

“You should’ve mentioned that before I let you stare at me.”

“Where’d it come from, Buffy?”

“It came from the guy I loved throwing me into a nightstand.” Before Spike could digest what she was saying, Buffy burst into tears. “The night you and I were supposed to meet, I broke up with him and it pissed him off. I didn’t think it’d cost me so much, you know? I lost the apartment that I lived in for three years, I got over two dozen stitches and to make everything worse, all my chances with you...just went away.” She sniffled and wiped her eyes with the end of her palms. “You weren’t supposed to have a girlfriend, you big jerk. We were supposed to meet again, date a little and live happily ever after. Couldn’t you have waited a few days? I was on my way...I wish so, so, much that you would’ve waited.”

Spike couldn’t think of the right words to say. Tears prickled his eyes, unable to handle the sight of Buffy’s shaking body and the sound of her sobs. A variety of emotions flooded his body, leaving him stunned and longing to comfort the woman he still considered as his dream girl. Taking a deep breath and uncertain of how she’d react, Spike blindly stretched out his arms, gathering Buffy up with one swoop.

She muttered incoherently and weakly pushed him back as he tried to give her a hug. Each time her body trembled, Spike felt a new wave of hatred for everyone who had ever hurt her and he included himself on the list.

“Buffy,” he croaked. “I am so sorry.”

“It...wasn’t...your...fault,” she said between hiccups. “I’m-I said too much.”

“What do you mean?”

“I-I--.” With a groan, Buffy stopped resisting and buried her head into his chest. “What’s going to happen now? Angel, he said...”

“Shhh,” he whispered, holding her tightly. “He knows?”

“And Dawn. Possibly Connor.”

“That would explain some things.”

“It’s not like I wanted to broadcast that I was a victim of domestic violence. It’s humiliating. If I wasn’t taken by surprise and knocked out, I would’ve beaten him to a pulp.”

“Knew you were tougher than you look.”

“I am,” she wiped her eyes again and rested her head against his shoulder. “I should get out of your lap and let you go home. I’ve spilled all my beans, I have no more secrets to tell.”

“No, I think I’m going to stay. I’ll give Harm a call. She’ll understand. She...she thinks of you as her bloody best friend after tonight.”

“What? How?”

“I don’t know. Harm, she’s...”

“You really don’t have to stay. I’m a big girl--.”

“I need to. We have to talk this out. You wanted to know what was going to happen next, right?” Spike pulled her closer and searched her eyes.

“Spike...”

At Buffy’s whimper, Spike threw caution to the wind. He covered her mouth with his, knowing in his heart that it was the right thing to do.
***
Chapter 9 by facingthesun
Chapter 9

Buffy’s body froze and she became overly aware of everything surrounding her. One hand was against the side of her waist and the other lightly caressed her face. As Spike pressed slow, closed-mouth kisses to her parted lips, Buffy struggled not to respond, ignoring the burning desire to taste his skin.

Spike whispered her name among other incomprehensible words. With his eyes barely open, he kissed her cheeks, forehead, and neck before returning to her mouth, trying his best to coax her into kissing him back. Buffy let out a little moan once Spike’s fingers worked on freeing her hair from its ponytail. He then took advantage of her gaping mouth, slipping his tongue between her soft lips.

Once the kisses deepened, Buffy found them impossible to resist. Groaning, she wrapped her arms around his neck and allowed their tongues to mingle. He held her closer than Buffy thought possible and their passionate lip locks continued until they ripped apart, both desperate for air to fill their lungs.

“Oh,” Buffy panted, “you shouldn’t have done that.”

“Had to,” he mumbled, resting his forehead against hers as he caught his breath. “You’re bloody amazing.”

“You have a girlfriend.”

Spike pulled back and looked Buffy in the eye, “Not for much longer, if I can help it.”

“You...are you serious?” Buffy’s heart skipped a beat when he nodded. “Oh, wow. You’re sure? Completely positive?”

“I want to be with you, Buffy,” he said with a grin. “On my honor, cross my heart—I swear on my dear mother’s grave. Shall we shake on it?”

“Don’t tease me.”

“I want you, pet.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes, “Define just how you want me.”

“Ah, is this a trick? Would you like to give me some limitations, a rating, perhaps? Because I’m ashamed to say that my wanting falls out of all the PG-type categories--. ”

“You know what I mean, smart guy. I need to know if you want me for a real relationship or just a fling. Do you really care about me or do you feel guilty because I told you about Riley and about my pathetic crush on you?”

“Guilty—are you insane? What makes you think…” he trailed off, shaking his head in disgust. “If you’re pathetic, I’m pathetic. I fell in love with you the first moment that I saw you and I continue to fall each time I am around you. You’re the one, Buffy. I do not pity you or want to use you in any bloody fling, I want to--.”

“You love me?”

“Don’t interrupt. I’m telling you off, woman. Guilty--.”

“Oh, Spike.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and covered his face with kisses.

“What?” he asked, his anger melting with each brush from her lips. “Did I miss something?”

“You love me.”

“Ah, yes I do.”

Buffy sighed, kissing him deeply. “More than Harmony?”

“I don’t love her.”

“Then why are you with her?”

“I’ve been trying to break it off since Parker’s birthday.”

“You let her move in the next day.”

“She can be...very persuasive. She knows how to use her...assets to her favor and--.”

“Ah huh,” Buffy said, scooting off his lap. “I totally do not want to hear anymore.”

“Hey, where’re you going?”

“I don’t want to be tempted to—I’m not going to let you cheat on Harmony. If you want me as much as you say, you need to let Harm go.”

“Buffy--.”

“I mean it, Spike. Things have changed between us--.”

“And for the better.”

“If you go back to her—after everything that we’ve shared tonight—you’ll break my heart.”

“That’s the last thing that I want to do.”

When he reached for her, Buffy stood, moving out of his grasp. “Let me walk you to the door.” In the short stroll, Spike grabbed a hold of her hand and neither of them said a word. With their fingers still entwined, Buffy opened the heavy door, letting a wave of cool air burst through the screen.

“Think I can call you tomorrow?”

“Maybe.”

Spike grinned, pressing his cheek to the side of her face. “You don’t have to worry about a thing,” he whispered. “I choose you...I love you, Buffy.”

“Harmony’s not going to be my best friend after I steal her blondie bear.”

“I hope to never hear that nickname ever again,” he grumbled. “It’s emasculating and--.”

“Just plain adorable?” she teased. “I think it suits you, Spikey.”

“I am calling you tomorrow,” Spike announced, kissing her forehead. “Whether you like it or not.”

“Well…if you insist. Goodnight, Spike.”

“Goodnight to you too,” he said warmly before heading out into the night.
***

“Do you have any idea what time it is?”

“I need a place to stay, Dawnie.”

“Why? Harmony toss you out?”

“No.”

“Will, what’s going on? I’m too tired to--.”

“Let me in and you can pry it all out of me, I swear.”

“Alright, fine. You can sleep on the couch.”
***

Content with just a blanket and pillow, Spike took off his shirt and stretched out comfortably on the sofa.

“Why are you here?” Dawn asked from the chair she was sitting in.

“Maybe I just wanted to see my sweet little sis.”

“If that’s the case I should smack you for getting me up so early.”

“Oh, it’s only a few hours before Big Bird’s on.”

“When Parker gets up, I’m sending him to you.”

“Good. I’ve missed the kid.”

“Spike--.”

“I’m breaking it off with her.”

“With Harmony?”

“Who else, bit?”

“Oh God, I’m so happy for you! What’d she do? When are you kicking her out of your house? It’s about time!”

“Nice to see that someone’s excited,” he mumbled, nuzzling the pillow with his face. “It’s going to be hell dumping her. She’s going to hate my reasons...”

“Which are?”

“Well, I guess it all boils down to Buffy--.”

“Buffy? Oh, Spike! I knew you weren’t that stupid!”

“Is that right?”

“I bet Buffy’s just beside herself! Did she tell you about—what did she tell you? I mean, you talked to her, right?”

“She told me everything. I know about her bastard of an ex, I know how she feels about me—she laid her heart out for me, Dawnie.”

“She loves you.”

“And I love her.”

“This is great, Spike! When is the dumping going to happen?”

“Probably tomorrow.”

“Think Buffy’s awake? I want to call her--.”

“Don’t. She needs her sleep, pet. Neither of us has slept tonight and she had a tad too much to drink…call her in the morning—in the late morning.”

“What do you mean—God, what did I miss?”

“A lot.” Spike yawned, pulling the blanket around his neck and closing his eyes. “I’m sure Buffy will catch you up when you give her a ring.”
***

Lying in bed but too wired to sleep, Buffy replayed the entire evening over in her mind, from their intense looks to the equally intense kisses that they shared. With a wide smile on her face, she attempted to fall asleep, but remained restless.

“He loves me,” she whispered, needing to hear the words out loud. “He wants me. He’s going to be with me.”

Sitting up in bed, she reached for the telephone. She listened to the phone ring until a groggy voice came on the line.

“H-hello?”

“Xander, you won’t believe what happened tonight!”
***
Chapter 10 by facingthesun
Chapter 10

“I don’t see why you’re nervous.”

“And why not? I think I’ve got a very good reason to be worried, bit.”

“Just go over there and give her the ‘it’s not you, it’s me’ line.”

“If it could only be that easy, I wouldn’t have all these butterflies in my gut,” Spike sighed, resting his chin in the palm of his hand.

“But it is you, Spike. You want to dump her for Buffy,” Dawn said as she fed Parker in his highchair. “I knew you guys were meant for each other. The moment I saw Buffy, I thought, ‘this girl is going to marry William’.”

“Is that right? Shall I remind you that it was your constant teasing that drove me to hooking up with Harm in the first place? I told you about Buffy and you just laughed at me and said that I was pathetic.”

“Why’d you listen to me?” Dawn asked with a casual shrug. “I’m your sister; I’m here to tease you. If you’re going to blame me for you dating that bimbo--.”

“Watch it, Dawn,” he said, not sure if he was feeling more compelled to defend Harmony or himself in front of his sister. “You and your bloody big mouth, when can I not listen to you?”

“Don’t talk like that around Parker,” she scolded, putting the spoon and jar of baby food that she was holding down and getting to her feet.

“Like your kid won’t learn dirtier words from the television.” Rolling his eyes, Spike put on his leather jacket. “If you don’t see me in an hour or so, call the cops because Harm’s hacking me into pieces.”

“You’ll be fine,” Dawn assured. She opened her arms, giving Spike a long-lasting hug. “You’re doing the right thing and you know it. Stop trying to be nice.”

“I know,” he muttered with his head on her shoulder.

“And if you start to have any doubts, just think of Buffy. You love her and want to be with her. Harmony is the only thing standing in your way. Don’t let her mess things up for you.”

“I know,” Spike said softly, pulling back and ending their embrace. “Guess I should get going.”

“If you need anything, you know where I’ll be.”

Spike nodded and gave her a small smile before heading towards the door.
***

Buffy woke up with a start, the shrill sound of ringing jerking her out of her dreams and causing her to drop the telephone she had clutched in her hand.

“Hello?” she said, answering the phone. As she waited for the other end to respond, she ran her fingers through her tangled blonde hair and wondered when she had fallen asleep in the recliner. The last thing she remembered was talking to Xander. “Hello?” Buffy asked again.

“How’s the hangover?”

Instantly recognizing the voice, Buffy lit up. “I’m okay. I was just about to hang up on you though. How are you?”

“Well, I’m mere seconds away from going home and giving Harmony the boot.”

“Ew.”

Spike laughed, “I agree with you there, pet.”

“I hope it goes well. I wish you tons of luck.”

“I’m sure to need every valuable drop of it.”

“Where are you now?” Buffy walked to the front window, hoping to see him through the fence that enclosed her house.

“Oh, hi there.” With a shy smile, she waved once she saw Spike standing on her porch. “Visiting me is not getting your dumping done.”

“I’m stalling. May I come in?”

“I don’t know…” she teased, biting her lower lip.

“Please?” Spike folded his cell phone in half, cutting the line between them. “Harm gets unreasonably grouchy when she’s woken up before noon. I’d like for my chances of her being somewhat pleasant to be as high as possible, you know?” he said through the window. “Also, I want to spend time with you.”

“Like I could send you away after a line like that. Have you had breakfast yet?” she asked, motioning for him to come inside.

“I’m afraid so. Got my usual cereal from Dawn--.”

“You guys made up? That’s so great.”

“I knew I’d be taken back sooner or later. Expect a call from her; she can’t wait to gossip. She wants the whole scoop about us.”

Buffy’s smile grew wider at the word ‘us’. “Would you, eh, do you want to sit down?”
***

“Are you going to mention me?”

“I’d like to avoid it.”

“Good, I was just about to beg you to not make me out as a home wrecker. If I didn’t know how you felt, I probably would’ve stayed on the sidelines, suffering from a full-blown crush and…”

“I wouldn’t do that, Buffy.”

“Thanks.”

As they sat on the couch, Spike and Buffy looked forward awkwardly. Their thighs were touching and as they spoke, their hands slowly drifted towards each other. Buffy took a deep breath once his larger, warm palm covered her hand.

“Maybe you should head over there? It’s almost eleven,” she suggested even though she moved to thread their fingers together.

“I might stop by afterwards.”

“I’d love that.”

“Buffy…” He softly said her name and caught her eyes. “It feels like we’re playing with fire here.”

“It’ll be different when you talk to Harmony. It won’t be wrong for us to see each other any more--.”

“I’m not so sure about that. When I’m around you…” he paused to search for the perfect wording. “This is more than a case of wanting a bit of forbidden fruit.”

“That’s good to know,” Buffy said, noticing that as Spike spoke, he was leaning closer and closer to her. She knew that with a few more centimeters, they would be touching more intimately. Her heart sped up, hoping that their nearness would result in them sharing a kiss.

As if reading her mind, Spike scooted forward and moved to wrap an arm around her. They cuddled with their bodies pressed together until Buffy found herself wrapped up in a make out session that was taking her breath away.

Ignoring the better, moral part of her brain, Buffy moaned in approval once she was pinned under Spike’s body. Electric jolts shocked her heart as a hand wormed its way into her shirt and under the lacy bra that she was wearing.

“Buffy, Buffy,” he groaned with his head buried into the space where her shoulder and neck met.

Not sure what to say, Buffy shook her head. “Spike, maybe we should--.”

Before she could finish her sentence, she was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. The chimes rang loudly and echoed in her half-filled house.

“Fuck. If that’s my sister—let’s pretend that we can’t hear it.”

Resting comfortably under Spike’s body, Buffy was about to agree until she heard pounding. “She’s going to break down my door.”

Swearing, he gave Buffy one last kiss before moving to the other side of the couch. “At moments like these, I wish that I were an only child.”

Laughing at his charming little sulk, Buffy ran to the door and opened it without hesitation. “Somebody’s in big trouble,” she sang cheerfully. “Spike’s not going to—Harmony! What—what?” With an instant blush coloring her cheeks, Buffy was face to face with Spike’s girlfriend.

“Spike? Is he here? Buffy, I’m so worried; he never came home last night. I think he’s been kidnapped—no, no boyfriend-napped!”

Buffy opened her mouth and then closed it. “Can you excuse me for a minute?”

“But this is an emergency!”

Glancing nervously over her shoulder, Buffy’s eyes scanned for Spike and she was relieved to see that he was nowhere in sight. “O-ok, come in and I’ll help you find him.”

Not having to be told twice, Harmony stomped through the door, her high heels smacking against the wooden flooring. As she sniffled and told the story of Spike’s disappearance, Buffy remained silent, her mind working as fast as possible to think up usable excuses and alibis.

“He said that he’d be right back and I believed him and took just a little nap. When I woke up, his side of the bed was cold and it hadn’t been touched. I spent the rest of the night calling his cell, but he never picked up. When I get my hands on that guy—oh, he’s going to pay! He’s such a bad boyfriend and you know what the worst part is? He thinks that he should get away with it! Well I’m going to show him! I’ve spent all morning thinking up the perfect punishment. First, I’m cutting him off for a few days—maybe even a week! No steamy lovemaking for that jerk! Then, I’m going to…”

As she paced angrily back and forth with her pointer finger wagging, Buffy nodded and hummed in agreement every few seconds.

Where is he, Buffy thought, looking toward the first floor bathroom and finding it empty. Could he be upstairs? Outside? God, under a table somewhere?

“Hey, Harm,” she said, interrupting Harmony’s continuing rant, “give me a minute to change into a fresh set of clothes and I’ll help you look for him.”

Not waiting for an answer, Buffy charged upstairs.
***

Buffy wasn’t surprised to find Spike leaning against a wall and waiting for her.

“What are you going to do now?” she whispered, pulling him further into the area that made up her room.

“Why don’t you have doors up here? It’s hard to hide in all this open space. I went in the bathroom, but I couldn’t eavesdrop properly.”

“Well, go in there now because I need to change my clothes.”

“I can close my eyes--.”

“Either you go in there or I will. The last thing we need is you getting caught ogling at me,” Buffy said as she gathered a clean shirt and pair of jeans. “It’ll take two minutes and then we’ll figure out this whole mess.”

“Hey, there’s no need to push,” Spike said when she ushered him into the tiny room.

“I don’t see how you can be calm at a time like this,” she hissed after closing the door between them. She hopped up and down, pulling up her snug jeans while glaring at the door, as if she could see Spike through the wooden surface. “I thought I was going to keel over--.”

“Who said that I’m not terrified?”

From the sound of his voice, Buffy could tell that he was pressed against the door. After she hurriedly swapped t-shirts, she turned the knob and shoved her body against it, causing Spike to groan.

“Ow, Buffy! Are you always this violent?”

“What are we going to do?” With them hidden safely in the bathroom, Buffy stepped forward and moved Spike’s hand from where it was clutching his side. “Sorry,” she said softly, stroking what she thought to be his sore spot. “I don’t know Harmony that well, but something tells me if she finds out that her new best bud kidnapped her Spikey, she may go ballistic.”

“You didn’t though--.”

“She doesn’t know that and we look really, really guilty.”

“We could face her together,” Spike suggested lightly, not sure how she’d react. “Together we can take her, I think.”

Buffy’s hand stilled on his stomach and she searched his sparkling blue eyes. “Okay.”

“Are you sure?”

She sighed before giving him a light kiss. “I’m sure. Let’s get this over with.”
***

“Harmony, I know where Spike is.”

“You do? Where?”

“Um, I found him…upstairs,” Buffy answered as she and Spike entered the living room holding hands.

“We need to talk, Harm.”

“I’ll say that we need to talk! How could you do this to me? I don’t know why I let you be so mean to me. You never called and—hey, why are you holding Buffy’s hand—oh my God!”

“Harmony, we can explain,” Buffy began, inching closer to Spike’s side.

“Oh my God! You were with Buffy! Her?” she yelled, her nose wrinkled in disgust.

“It’ll be for the best, pet--.”

“Don’t call me that! I should’ve known, since I’ve come to Sunnydale it’s been ‘Buffy this’ and ‘Buffy that’.”

“Let’s sit and talk this out like rational people,” Spike said calmly.

“You big freak!” Harmony shrieked as she rambled about how much he had wronged her. After letting out a growl, she jumped at him, pummeling him with weak hits to his chest. “You jerk! You big freaky jerk!”

“Harm—hey! Stop that!” He dropped Buffy’s hand, needing both of his to fend off Harmony’s blows. “Harmony, bloody hell, woman! Get off!”

Buffy watched in disbelief as the couple fought and attempted to bat each other away. “This is the most girlie-est thing that I’ve ever seen in my life,” she muttered, trying not to laugh. When minutes passed, Buffy decided that she had seen enough. Pushing between the two, she grabbed Harmony and shoved her away from Spike and onto the sofa.

“It’s over,” she snapped as her chest slightly heaved. “You and Spike are done, alright?”

“Well…you can have him!” Harmony gathered herself up and straightened her wrinkled dress. With a small whimper, she walked proudly to the entrance of the house. “I’m leaving you, Spike, and Sunnydale too! You’ll never ever hear from me again!”

“Do you think that’s a promise?” Spike asked with a hopeful smirk once the front door slammed. He sat on the sofa and sighed loudly. “That went…well, don’t you think?”

“Just dandy,” Buffy answered with a laugh before collapsing next to him.

“Thanks for defending me.”

“It was my pleasure. Nobody messes with my boyfriend; not even that overgrown Barbie.”

“I’m happy to hear that, pet.”

“So, we’re official now?”

“I believe so.”

“That’s also nice to hear. Did she hurt you? I was going to step in sooner, but my laughter got me sidetracked.”

“You were laughing at me?”

“You fight like a girl,” she teased.

“And you seem to have some sort of supernatural strength. You tossed Harmony about as if she where nothing but a--.”

“Ferocious little kitty?”

“That’ll do,” Spike chuckled.

“Now, what do you want to do?”

“Um…recover?”

“That sounds okay with me.” Buffy smiled, snuggling into his side and resting her head on his shoulder.
***
Chapter 11 by facingthesun
Chapter 11

“When do you think Harmony will leave? I’ve been thinking, and I realized that we never gave her a date to be out by. What if she demands two weeks’ notice? Do you think she would do that?”

“Sounds like somebody had a thought-provoking trip to the bathroom.”

“I’m serious, Spike. What if she takes your house hostage? She’s over there and free to do only God knows what to your stuff. She could be having a bonfire. All your clothes could be going up in smoke as we speak.”

“Aw, pet,” Spike left his spot on the couch to join Buffy where she stood by the window that faced his house, “you’re really worrying about her, aren’t you?”

“I think you underestimate her. Harmony may not seem like the brightest crayon in the Crayola box, but she is a woman that has been recently scorned and because of that, yes, she’s making me feel very worried.”

“And a bit paranoid?” he suggested softly, wrapping his arms around her waist from behind. “Honestly, I doubt that she’ll stick around. We busted up her ego pretty good.”

“So, you think that she’ll just pack up her unicorns and take the next bus out of town?”

Spike nodded, pressing his cheek against Buffy’s hair. “She’ll do all that with her tail drooping between her legs.”

“You’re sounding very confident. I didn’t think you knew her that well.”

“She was my girlfriend, not a complete stranger.”

“Was. She’s not your anything now…well other than your ex-girlfriend.”

“You’re jealous.”

“Maybe I am.” Buffy didn’t have to turn her head to know that Spike was smirking as he softly kissed her neck.

“You don’t have to be jealous. Whether she hangs around or not,” he whispered, “it’s our turn to be together.”

“I just want her out of the picture, and now please.”

“Alright, if it’d make you feel better, I’ll go over there.”

“Really? You’d do that?”

“Sure, why not? I’ll see what Harm’s up to and I’ll make it very clear that her skinny ass needs to find it’s way out of my place.”

“And while you do that,” Buffy spun in his arms until they stood face to face, “I’ll go talk to your sister. Do you think she’ll be at the diner or at home?”

“Give the house a call before you head out.” Cupping her face between his palms, Spike gave her a brief kiss on the lips. “If you wanted me to go over there all along, you should’ve said something sooner, pet.”

“I would’ve, but I can’t shake the feeling that I’m sending my new puppy to be eaten by the Big Bad Wolf.”

“In that scenario of yours, who’s the puppy exactly?”

“Okay, maybe puppy isn’t the best choice of animal, Mr. Blondie Bear.”

“Oh you, aren’t you a feisty one, Ms. Summers?”

Once Spike started to chuckle, Buffy broke off his laughter by pulling him in for a deep kiss. “Before you go next-door, can I make a request?”

“Request?” he panted, struggling to catch his breath.

“From now on, don’t mention Harmony’s parts. I don’t want to hear about her skinny ass and definitely not a word about anything that lies between her legs.”

“Buffy, ah…I didn’t mean anything by that. I just--.”

“I know. I’m being stupid, but—just promise me, Spike.”

“Alright, I promise.”

“Thank you,” she whispered before covering his mouth again with her own. They kissed slowly until Buffy parted her lips, granting him access to her tongue and teeth. Moaning in unison, they stumbled until Buffy’s back was propped against the windowpane. “Tonight,” she gasped, “or until Harmony moves out, you can sleep here…”

“I’d love to.” In one graceful movement, he lifted Buffy into the air. Without hesitating, she wrapped her legs around his waist.

“But-Spike, let me finish,” she laughed, moving her mouth so it was out of his reach. “You’ll sleep on the couch.”

“The couch?”

“You may be gorgeous and the biggest flirt on the planet—and oh, the owner of very strong arms—but I won’t have you weaseling your way into my bed that easily.”

“Weasel?”

“Will you stop repeating everything that I say,” she teased. Buffy squirmed in his hold and let out an involuntary groan once her inner thigh brushed against a hard swelling in his jeans.

“Buffy,” he began, his voice deeper than usual, “I’m not going to push. I’m not going to trick you or beg you…even though I’m fighting off the need to plead…I’m not going into your bed without an invite, alright? If you want me on the couch, then that’ll be my place.” Their eyes meet and they spent the next few minutes clutching each other in silence.

“I should…put you down,” he muttered. “I need to go, gotta see Harm and all. I’ll be back though.” Feeling slightly embarrassed, Spike placed Buffy carefully onto the floor. “We’ll have dinner. Our first legitimate date, how’s that sound?”

When Buffy remained silent, he gathered his coat and headed for the door.

“What if I want you to push?”

“What?” Spike asked, Buffy’s quiet question taking him off-guard. “Did you say something?”

“We’re both adults. I want you and you want me. Why shouldn’t you push? And by ‘push’ I’m assuming that you mean in a non-violent sense of the word.”

“Buffy, what are you saying?”

“Well, I’m not saying let’s do it right here and now, if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“I’m not—like I’d think that,” he snorted.

“I’m saying that you don’t have to treat me like I’m made out of glass. Sure Riley knocked me around, but I’m a big girl. You can push all you’d like.” Buffy walked across the room to give him a peck on the cheek. “It won’t mean that you’ll always get your way, but you’re free try. You may find that I’m pretty easy to crack,” she said, smiling sweetly.

“I see,” he said, sharing her smirk. “So, does this mean--.”

“Nope, you’re still sleeping on the couch.”
***

“Harmony?” Spike opened the front door and cautiously stepped into his home. “Harm, are you here?”

“Spike? What are you doing here? Why aren’t you still macking on that Buffy Summers? I can’t believe you two, going at it in front of an open window. You could’ve closed the freaking blinds?”

“Harm--.”

“If you’re here to tell me that you love me and that you made a gigantic mistake and that you want me back, it’s not going to work. You can cry and try to seduce me, but I’m not going to give in to you. You lost this, Spike.” With a flip of her wrist, Harmony ran a hand down the side of her body.

“Oh, so you’re leaving?” He scanned the room and noted that boxes were surrounding her feet. “You’re all packed up?”

“I’m almost done and then I will be out of your life forever!” Harmony sniffled dramatically as she crammed one last stuffed animal into an already full box. “And I’m keeping all the presents that you gave me!”

“That’s alright.”

“And…and I’m taking the--.”

“Take whatever you want, but I want my key back.”

“You mean, our house key?”

“Yes, Harm. Hand it over.”

“But,” she frowned, “you aren’t going to say that you love me and that you made a gigantic mistake and that you want me back?”

“No,” Spike answered, struggling to keep an emotionless face. “If you don’t give it, I’ll get the locks changed, pet.”

“Spike! Why are you doing this?” She stomped her feet in a pout before reaching for her purse. “I thought that we were happy!”

“Now you know that’s not true. I was mean to you. You told me that on a daily basis. I yelled at you a lot. I’m a mean, rotten man. Remember the time you drew hearts on my back with your lipstick? I was pissed for days because you didn’t tell me before I rolled over and ruined the sheets.”

“You were mean,” Harmony agreed, wrinkling her nose. “You were really, really mean!”

“I was a brute—sod that, I still am.”

“You are!” After freeing her key from a dozen pink key chains, she pressed it into his palm. “You know what? I was going to dump you anyway! I was going to do it last night!”

“Really?”

“Yes! That’s the only reason why I was upset when you went missing. I wanted to find you so I could leave your stupid…stupid self!”

Spike tried not to grin, happy that Harmony was falling for his trap. He’d rather have her furious than crying over their broken relationship. “So, when can I expect you to be out by?”
***

“I can’t believe him! He’s such a chicken! He made you break up with Harmony?”

“I didn’t do all the talking, but I got things moving in the right direction, I guess,” Buffy explained with a shrug. “It seemed like the best thing to do at the time. He needed my help and I wasn’t going to deny him that.”

“You’re too nice. I’m just happy that he’s kicking her out all by his lonesome. It’ll do him some good. God, I’m so glad that she’ll be gone! I still don’t know what he saw in her—well, other than her Buffy-like qualities…”

“Her what?”

“You’ve spent time with Angel and he hasn’t ratted Spike out? Wow,” Dawn laughed. “Well, you’ve seen Harmony. She has blonde hair and almost your shade of eye color. I guess if you narrow your eyes, Harmony looks a lot like you.” From where she was sitting in her living room, Dawn squinted as she looked at Buffy. “You kinda look like her too. I bet if we were farther apart, the resemblance would double or maybe triple.”

“You’ve got to be kidding. He—that’s gross!”

“William’s a gross guy. It sounds like a bad county song, huh? I dated her—or was it I married her—just because she looked like you?”

“Either way, ew.”

“I hope that doesn’t tarnish your opinion of my darling brother. If it does, you didn’t hear anything from me, okay?”

“Are sure that that’s the only reason why he was with her?”

“I don’t know, but you can ask him yourself. Hey, Spike, why’d you date Harmony? Was it just because she looked like Buffy?”

“What?” Spike asked, emerging from the back of the house. “Why’d I do what now?”

“Spike,” Buffy gasped. “Where’d you come from?”

“The kitchen. Scoot,” he answered, lifting up a newly made sandwich and sitting onto the loveseat with Buffy. “I let myself in through the back.”

“I thought we had plans for dinner?”

“We do. It’s a snack. Want some?”

“No thanks,” Buffy laughed, pushing away his offering.

“So, from the sound of it, you were whispering nasties about me.” He rested his hand on Buffy’s knee and gave it a playful squeeze. “I knew it was a bad idea to leave you girls alone.”

“How’d it go with Harmony?”

“She’ll be gone tomorrow. A friend is coming to pick her up in the morning. See, you had nothing to worry about, goldilocks.”

“Good,” Buffy sighed in relief.

“I checked my stuff and there wasn’t a bonfire either. I’m letting her stay there overnight because I owe it to her since I wronged her.”

“You don’t owe her anything,” Dawn said, crossing her arms. “Where are you supposed to sleep if she’s in your house? My house won’t always be free to you, William.”

“I’ve already set up my sleeping arrangements, bit.”

“Are you actually going to get a hotel—oh…oh! I see.”

“He’s going to sleep on my couch,” Buffy explained, emphasizing the word ‘couch.’

“Buffy, you skank!” Dawn teased.

“He’ll be on my couch! Spike, tell her.”

“That’s what we agreed on.”

“Yeah right, but really, don’t care where he sleeps as long as it’s not in my house,” Dawn giggled. “Because sleeping here makes him think that he can also eat all my food and sit in front of my TV for hours on end.”

“They’ve got cable,” Spike explained to Buffy.

“And you don’t?”

“I do, but not all the movie channels. Why pay for Skinemax when I can get it here for free?”

“Yeah, I’m sure there’s nothing like watching soft core porn when you’re at your sister’s house,” Buffy said, wrinkling her nose. “I don’t know about you.”

“I told you that he was gross, Buffy.”

“Why am I gross?”

“I’ll let Buffy talk to you about that, I’ve got dinner to start.” Smirking, Dawn left Spike and Buffy alone in the living room.
***

“What’d I do? What vicious rumors is she spreading about me?”

“It’s nothing really. She gave me her reasoning as to why she thinks you dated Harmony. Dawn said it had a lot to do with her looks.”

“I’ll agree with that, but I won’t go in further detail.”

“Why not?”

“Because I made a promise to a lady,” Spike said, taking Buffy’s hand and pressing it against his lips.

“Always a flirt,” Buffy laughed. “Dawn seems to think that you picked her because she kinda looks like me.”

“Is that right…?”

“I’m sure if I found a really hot, bleached blond, blue-eyed British hunk of burning…something or other, I’d be all over him,” Buffy said, noticing that Spike’s mood had changed.

“You don’t have to explain anything,” she whispered. “I didn’t bring it up to make you feel guilty or anything like that.”

“Have I mentioned just how bloody pathetic I am?”

“I don’t think you’re pathetic, Spike. I was curious, but I don’t need to know anymore.” Wanting to make him feel better, she hooked her arm through his and kissed the smooth skin under his ear. “Do you think Dawn would mind it if we slipped away? I want to go somewhere.”

“Is there a particular somewhere that you have in mind?”

“Not my house and definitely not yours. Somewhere where we can be alone…”

“How about taking a trip in my car? We could see the sights before having dinner. You could maybe sit in the middle next to me. I good bench seats.”

“That sounds perfect, Spike.”
***
Chapter 12 by facingthesun
Chapter 12

“Sunnydale might be tiny mile-wise, but we have a hell of a lot shoved into our tiny town. We’ve got rolling hills, flat plains, a desert—hell, even a sandy beach. You’ll get a taste of everything here, cutie.” Spike opened the passenger door for Buffy and waited impatiently for her reaction. “Well…what do you think? It’s nice, yes?”

“Oh, let me see.” Not aware that she had to pass immediate judgment on his car, Buffy climbed into the old black De Soto. “It is nice,” she said, running her hands along the vinyl seat. “Clearly you’ve babied this car.”

“I guess you can say that. I’ve restored her piece by piece.”

“So, you’re a car guy...”

“You got a problem with that?” he asked, kneeling at the gaping door. “Was Riley a car guy?”

“No, he liked sports.”

“Sports! What a bunch of bloody fools. Competitive cutthroats in those ridiculous short pants chasing around those blasted, uh, round balls--.”

“You like sports, don’t you?” Buffy laughed, tickled by Spike’s exaggerated disgust. “Honey, I won’t hold it against you if you have something in common with Riley.”

“You sure? Maybe just for giggles, you could jot down a list of the bastard’s likes and dislikes. I might need a heads up in the future.”

“There’s no need for a list.”

“Alright, if you say so. But once you learn of my soft spot for Manchester United you’ve got to promise that you won’t head for the hills.”

Oblivious of the team that he was speaking of, Buffy flashed him a smile and shook her head. “I won’t leave, even if you have soft spots.”

“Ah, you’re an angel, an ignorant angel for not knowing of the best soccer team in England, but an angel nevertheless.” Getting to his feet, he leaned in to give her a kiss on the cheek. “Now that we’ve got all that out of the way, shall we get going?”

“Yes please. I want to see some sights before the sun goes down.”

With a nod, Spike slammed the passenger’s door shut and ran to the driver’s seat. “You know, you’re looking pretty hot there, riding shotgun,” Spike commented as he backed out of the driveway. “It’s a good sign when my car and girl look so fantastic together. We must be written in the stars or some other rot line like that.”

“Yes, me, you, and your De Soto. We are all totally meant to be,” Buffy snorted, rolling her eyes playfully. “Hey, wasn’t I going to sit in the middle next to you? I can move over…”

“Stay put, we’ll probably get out soon anyway. Meanwhile, feel free to fiddle with the radio. All I ask is that you keep the pop bands to a minimum unless you’d like to see my head spin. And if the wind bothers you, I can roll up the windows.”

“I like the wind and as for the radio,” she scooted forward to press the buttons, floating between each of the preset stations. “What kind of music are you into if you don’t like the popular kind?”

“Oh, so there’s no other option? It’s bubble gum or silence, is that what you’re saying? On second thought, leave the radio and check the backseat. I have some CDs that you can thumb through. See if anything strikes your fancy.”

“I’ll look, but I really doubt that my fancy will be stroked—or, um, stricken, I mean.” Feeling slightly lame, Buffy unbuckled her seatbelt and folded her body over the seat with her butt up in the air. “What am I looking for, a case or something else?”

“It’s a case, pet. A black one.”

“I don’t see it.”

“It’s there, I know it.”

“Spike…”

“Check underneath, it might’ve fallen…”

“You could’ve told me that it was under the seat the entire time,” Buffy said, hugging the heavy case to her chest as she returned to her seat.

“What? I didn’t know where it was.”

“You must be talented, being able to drive and check out my ass at the same time.” Watching him out of the corner of her eye, she flipped through his music collection. “It’s a good thing that you didn’t crash your car.”

“Oh…you saw that?”

“The staring? Yes, so you can’t deny it.”

“Hell, nothing passes by you, does it?”

“Nope. No way, mister. So, how’s this CD? Any good?”

“It’s pretty good, if I do say so myself. Why’d you pick on that one?”

“Because it’s pretty,” she explained, pointing to the art on the top of the disk. “It makes me think, ‘Why would a big bad guy like Spike own a CD that’s covered in such a pretty floral pattern?’”

“You think that I’m a bad guy? I’m flattered.” Chuckling, he took the CD from her hands and popped it into the stereo.

“Isn’t that what you want me to think, Spike?” Buffy teased, putting emphasis on his name. “I’ve been meaning to ask you about that, what’s wrong with your given name? I like the name William--.”

“But you don’t like Spike? Is it still a tag only suitable for some sort of guard dog? Because Buffy’s such a common name, you know, right up there with Joan and Veruca…”

“Hey, we aren’t talking about me, William. I like my name.”

“Do you really? I’d be downright suicidal if I were you.”

“I like my name,” Buffy repeated, finding it hard to keep a straight face. “It makes me feel unique…special. How many Buffys have you met?”

“Just one and I don’t care to meet another. She alone is almost too much for me to handle. Just how many Spikes have you come across, kitten?”

“Point taken, but I didn’t make up my unique name. Mine was given to me.”

“Yes, but--.”

“And also, you can go by whatever name you like, it won’t change anything. You’d be the same to me.”

“A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, yeah?”

“Now there’s a comment for a typical bad ass to make,” Buffy smirked, shifting in her seat, wanting to see his facial expressions as he drove.

“I’ve been elevated to a bad ass now?”

“I’d really like to know how you became Spike. And why Spike and not Butch?”

“Or Fido, you mean? I don’t know…Spike, it just sounded right.”

“It fit?”

“Yeah it did, actually,” he answered, scratching his brow with his pinky finger. “We’re almost to the beach, you want to stop?”

“But you didn’t tell me why you hate William…”

“We can continue our talk on the beach, how’s that sound?”

“Great,” Buffy answered, staying silent until he parked the car.
***

“I should keep a blanket in my trunk.”

“Why? Do you take all the girls out for some private conversation on the beach?”

“Well, no. I just think that it’d be nice at a time like this, Little Miss Funny.”

“You’re just worried that we’ll get your car sandy.”

“That’s not—wait, you’re actually one hundred percent correct,” Spike said, shielding his eyes from the sun. “But if worst comes to worst, I’ll have you vacuum the upholstery.”

“Fine, I can do that. That sounds fair to me. If it gets that sandy, I’ll vacuum your car.”

“Could you throw in a free wash too?”

“Don’t press your luck. So, you were going to tell me more about yourself…”

“Oh, yes, our name game. I was hoping that you’d forgotten.”

“Nope,” Buffy said, taking off her shoes and spreading her legs over the sand. “You should take off your shoes. Get some sand between your toes.”

“No thank you. Somehow I don’t enjoy the feeling of grit between my toes.”

“You’re no fun,” Buffy joked, knocking into his side. “You can spill whenever you’re ready, sweetie.”

“Well…first off, the sun is burning my bleeding eyeballs.” Spike turned so his body ran along hers but in the opposite direction. “Do you recall much of what Harm said? Knowing her, I’m positive that she let some incriminating remarks slip out into the open.”

“Incriminating remarks?”

“You know, about my…awkward high school years. I guess you can say that I was quite the nerd…”

“You?”

“Don’t make fun,” he said, pinching up a tiny bit of sand and tossing it at the knee of her jeans. “Picture the nastiest case scenario and I can promise you that my William days weren’t too far off. Harmony knew me then and she wouldn’t give me a second’s glance. In fact, most didn’t until I was in college.”

“So, you were an ugly nerdy duckling that woke up exceptionally gorgeous days before your freshmen year? Thank God for secondary education if it has that kind of affects on people--.”

“I wish, pet, but there was a lot more effort needed on my part. But that’s all there is to say. Here ends our name game. William died long ago. I don’t feel like him anymore, so why should I go by his name?”

“I guess that does make sense…”

“Are you sure? I’m up for more questioning if your curiosities haven’t been met.”

“I’m sure, Spike.”

“I should be pleased, but whatever will we talk about now? I don’t have anymore dirty laundry to air out.”

“We can talk about stuff that doesn’t involve deep dark secrets, like…where did you say that you worked again?”

“I didn’t, but that doesn’t matter now because I’m between jobs at the moment. Don’t you know how to pick ‘em, love? Sadly, you won’t be making a sugar daddy out of me—not that I wouldn’t if I could, mind you.”

“Well, it’s a good thing that I’m not looking for a sugar daddy. And since we’ve moved on to confessing about money, I’ll tell you that I’m between jobs myself. Let’s have three cheers for the unemployed!”

“Rah, rah, bloody rah,” Spike said, his lack of enthusiasm bringing a smile to Buffy’s face. “We’re a sad lot, me and you. Two pitiful losers without a regular nine to five.”

“But think of all the extra time we have on our hands,” Buffy pointed out coyly. “We can use it to get to know each other better.”

“Ah, I see…”

Edging closer, she turned her body so they could sit side-by-side. “Spike, why come to the beach if you spend the entire time avoiding the view? The sun isn’t that bright and it’s a little strange to sit here facing the parking lot. Unless I really misjudged your love for your car…”

“For your information, I’m not here to look at the beach. Some sand, rocks, and waves pale in comparison to the view that I’m looking.”

“Baby, I’m concerned,” she whispered into his ear as she hugged his left arm. “Do you think that there’s a car lovers anonymous that we could enroll you in? You might be in need of some professional help--.”

“Tease away, but my eyes haven’t been on my car and you bloody well know it.”

“Oh? Oh, I see...” Buffy let out little whimper as he drifted forward to press his lips against her neck. “But Spike...”

“You’re beautiful. I’ve said it once and I plan on saying it again and again. You’re beautiful, my sweet lovely Buffy.”

“No, you’re sweet...”

After snickering into her shoulder, Spike pulled back to search her eyes. “You’re going to argue with me?”

“Um…” Buffy shook her head, her eyes never leaving his intense gaze. Unable to stop herself, she held her cold hands to his face and pulled him near for a number of light kisses. “Thank you. I’m not used to all these compliments,” she admitted with a slight shrug of her shoulders. “And the flirting…I don’t think Riley ever—God, never mind, who wants to talk about my ex? Not me, not now. I’d rather be talking about my current new boyfriend. I’d rather be—” Buffy paused, moving forward, needing to feel his silky-smooth lips against hers once more, “—kissing my new boyfriend, because he’s, ah…very kissable…”

Letting out a loud, throaty moan Buffy seemed to melt once their mouths came together yet again. Wanting to make good use of each second, she crawled into Spike’s lap and guided his arms around her lower back.

“Buffy…”

“No more talking.”

“Timeout, Buffy.”

“Do you need to breathe?”

“Yes, it’d be nice to have something in my lungs rather than just your tongue.”

“That’s kinda gross if you think about it literally,” Buffy pointed out, wrinkling her nose. “Maybe I got too carried away…maybe I was going too fast…”

“Or maybe you were going at the perfect pace,” Spike said, holding her against his chest more securely. “And maybe I just had to butt in because of the time, pet. It’s up to you—we could blow it off, I don’t mind—but we’ve got reservations for dinner in half an hour and it takes about that long to get where we’re going.”

“Oh.”

“We don’t have to go to that particular restaurant since it is in another city...but then, if we stay local it’ll be Willy’s or Willy’s or Dawn’s...”

“I almost forgot about the feuding Willy’s,” Buffy laughed. “Isn’t there a McDonald’s here? Doesn’t every American town have at least one fast food chain?”

“Our first date and she wants to be served by a sodding clown. What if we stopped by the bloody gas station? We could dine on Big Gulps and roller dogs.”

“Roller dogs?”

“You know, the hot dogs that just sit on the rolling grill for hours on end.”

“Um, I wouldn’t refuse...” Buffy grinned. “Could we have nachos too? Oh! And ice cream! Gas stations usually have the best selection of ice cream on a stick.”

“You’re serious? You want to eat at a gas station?”

“You weren’t serious?” she asked, her smiling fading. “Did I just make a fool out of myself?”

“Oh, don’t make that pouty face.”

“Now you’re going to mock me.” She stuck her lower lip out further and struggled to stay forlorn as Spike kissed her lip.

“Wherever we go we’d better head there soon or we’ll miss dinner and if I have my say, we’ll miss breakfast, lunch and maybe dinner tomorrow as well.”

“You want to stay at the beach for that long?”

“No. We’ll continue where we left off and get a bite to eat before we head back to your place, where--.”

“Where you assume that much love will be made, am I right?”

“That, or maybe some heavy petting—hell, I’d even take a lengthy cuddle if it was offered.”

“On the couch?”

“Of course.”

“Of course,” Buffy repeated with a soft giggle.

“Does this mean that you won’t give me a hint?” Spike whispered, his voice sending shivers down to her toes. “What should I expect, baby?”

“And ruin the suspense?”

“You tease.”

“Now, back to dinner. Where are we going to eat?”
***
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=2996