Communication 101 by Kaylorin
Summary: ** Rewrite of CH 11 and an Epilogue added** Buffy is an adult college student who has signed up for the one class she was putting off. She soon finds herself really enjoying the lectures in part due to the appearance of a youg peroxide blonde.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Spike/Other
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 54400 Read: 21734 Published: 01/04/2009 Updated: 04/06/2009

1. Communication 101 by Kaylorin

2. Need for Speed part 1 by Kaylorin

3. Need For Speed part 2 by Kaylorin

4. Close Encounters by Kaylorin

5. Supply and Demand by Kaylorin

6. LA Woman by Kaylorin

7. Breaking Up is Hard to Do by Kaylorin

8. Friday by Kaylorin

9. Through the Looking Glass by Kaylorin

10. Can't Hardly Wait by Kaylorin

11. Love Actually by Kaylorin

12. Spuffy - Epilogue by Kaylorin

Communication 101 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
This is completely and utterly inspired by real life. I just kinda had to write it, you know? So anyway it's set as a one shot but you never know. Its simple and a lazy read really. Hope you like.
Well it was time. This semester she had bitten the bullet and signed up for Communications 101. The only class on her required list that really scared the devil out of her. Public Speaking, also known as Speech Class. Exactly why did A Computer Tech need public speaking?

Ok, maybe if she needed to address a group of big wigs on exactly where the on button was on their computers or possibly to explain a new protocol, but really she had no intention of entering a job that would involve speaking in front of any large groups of people, ever. With a capital E.

But here she stood, waiting outside of the classroom and swearing death to the idiots who decided that this form of torture was the best plan for her educational career.

And like many of the students waiting, she had gone for comfort as best she could. Well worn blue jeans and an oversized T-shirt was her fashion statement of the day. She’d given up dressing up for class about a year ago when she caught herself mentally berating a woman in gold heals a short black leather skirt and a halter top trying to carry her books while straining to keep her left breast in her top.

Buffy then looked down at herself, reminded herself she was on her way to her first day of a computer repair class that was most likely going to be male populated.

Without a second thought she dashed down to the school store and bought a UC Sunnydale T-shirt. Thankfully she’d worn jeans and boots that day. The red miniskirt and heels would not have been good.

But that class was over, and now it was time for another. At least she wasn’t alone, the group waiting along the walls seemed to mirror her thoughts. Many of the assumed classmates were her age, a few younger and a few older. That’s the way college is these days.

Fresh High School graduates pushing forward to their next four years of grueling work and study. Some older people probably returning to add a few credits to a degree they already had, and maybe a few like her who after staying home with family, finally was getting her turn to reach her goals.

She hadn’t minded. After her mother died she’d worked to support her sister. It had taken some time and a large amount of patience but after Dawn graduated with her degree in Psychology, Buffy decided it was her turn.

A slight shuffling sounded from down the hall as a professor lumbered down the hall. Buffy assumed it was their professor as all the other class rooms had been unlocked and just these 20 or so people hung by the entrance of the only empty Communications lecture space.

He was a good looking gentleman and had a kind face. Although his briefcase was shut there were a few stray pieces of paper clearly from a yellow legal pad sticking out from around the edges. As he came closer the man began to apologize. “I do hate to keep your bright minds waiting, but as happens in life, I seem to be running off my schedule.” He mustered another smile over the group of slightly impatient adults before opening the door.

Without any order whatsoever they strolled into the room trying to search for a seat they would be comfortable with for the next 16 weeks.

She took a quick mental picture of her surroundings. Unlike many classes, this one was set to be intimate. The room was simple with tables that could seat 3, each of which were set in rows of four front to back on both sides. 8 tables in all and a desk with a podium up front where the professor was laying his folders.

Buffy wasn’t a brown noser, but several semesters had taught her that a seat close to the front was a decent choice, just not THE front row. So she took second row back directly to the right of the small room. That tactical spot that said, I’m here to learn but I’m not trying to kiss ass.

Just as she settled her book on the desk another handful of stragglers came in and found seats as well while Mr. Giles, the instructor, began his introductions and explained his expectations to his students.

As she eyed the syllabus, pure cold fear encased her. She knew she’d have to give a speech, but this set out 4 separate speeches. “I’m doomed.”

“I should say not, Miss??” The Englishman queried for her name.

“Summers.” Buffy quickly provided trying to look ready for the learning.

Just then one more student came in and she turned to see who’d interrupted. Right then and there her brain fazed out as she watched him head up the isle to the only vacant seat at the very front. “Sorry bout bein’ late. Had a car thing.” The unbelievably gorgeous man said before he let his duster fall over the back of his seat and sat legs sprawled.

Buffy was trying very hard not to look like she was looking, but she was so-o looking. Who wouldn’t? He was sleek and muscular and obviously younger. When he walked by her he had smelled like no other man had. It had to be some specially formulated scent he made himself or, maybe is was just his natural musk. That alone was cruel enough but the beauty of his face only made matters worse.

He was giving the professor a smile after his lackluster reason for his tardiness. But it was such a wonderful smile, of course he had to be forgiven. If that didn’t work then maybe the clear crystal blue eyes might.

“Yes well, let’s not make a habit of it, shall we?”

“On my honor.” The black clad embodiment of the perfect man replied.

~~`~~

Her back pack was lying on the seat beside her as usual for Tuesday. The bus rolled along its regular route that brought her closer to the dread class. To her surprise though, she really enjoyed her speech class. Mr. Giles was a crack up when he got going about the students in the high school he worked at during the days.

He also seemed to have a personal vendetta against “bloody yanks destroying the English language” and so he tried every trick he could to get his pupils to drop the slang from their American tongues.

In short, the weeks were passing quickly in a class that she began looking forward to instead of avoiding. She had to admit to herself that some of that had to do with William. She was resigned to admire from afar, but she really enjoyed the brief times she had a chance for the admiring part.

The only damper at this point was the bus. It was a great way to travel most of the time in Sunnydale, but in some crazy twist the forecast was showing rain, rain and more rain in the future. The Umbrella was working overtime lately.

In no time she was dropped at her stop and seated in her claimed spot with Mr. I‘m-good-looking-and-here-to-tempt-your-lusty-thoughts on the other side of the room in front just as he had sat the first day.

“Now who in class can give an example of Communication As Action?” Giles peered over the heads of the people in the room.

Buffy quickly responded. “Well, you’re the speaker, so you’re the Source, and, um, I guess your lecture is the Massage.” She paused and looked around the room as all faces peered back. She moved her gaze past HIM, who was quietly texting someone on his cell under the desk before clicking it shut with a grin, She looked back at Giles. “Your in person so that’d be the Channel and we are the audience, the Receiver.”

She finished and gave the Professor a half hearted smile. “But I’m missing something.” She admitted.

All the sudden, the man with the killer grin and mesmerizing musk spoke up. “Noise, pet.”

Even Mr. Giles was shocked. William almost never spoke in class, and all heads whipped in his direction.

“Damn, I knew that one too.” Buffy berated herself, then smiled at her thoughts before perking up. “So that makes him the Noise.” She declared pointing at the peroxide blonde.

~~`~~

And just when the rain finally let up, the temperature dropped. It was wholly unfair. Buffy wrapped her coat close to her skin and silently wondered who up there hated her? Her teeth were chattering when she dropped into her seat not even caring about the unladylike fashion she had dumped herself into the chair. “I just want to know who ordered a Midwest winter? We have ice for pity sakes!”

She sat up and noticed for the first time there was only she and a few spare students. She was more than surprised, and if they all skipped cuz it was rotten weather for driving she was going to be even more agitated. They didn’t have to take an hour bus ride to go essentially 5 miles. “Damn bus route.” She mumbled.

“You live out there on Main, yeah?”

She was setting her book and notes on her desk when the soft British voice spoke up. “Near that petrol station?” She was looking right at him. She really tried to avoid that because he was apparently the holder to the Off button on her brain.

“I’m sorry? Where?” She asked, quite proud that she’d managed that much with him staring at her, and the smiling, and even the way he leaned to talk to her was too sexy to be legal in most states.

“That day I saw you waiting, it was at Main.” He continued like conversation was something people did all the time.

She tried to remember what day? What station? Had they at some point discussed him seeing her waiting for the bus?

“Um, no, actually I live across the street from the high school.” She managed an entire sentence. Well, maybe she was a brilliant actress and could give up this whole college thing. But probably not.

He seemed to brighten at those words. “Really, so do I.”

And then it came easier, the thinking and the words forming with a bit more comfort. It took a some time but before the Professor walked in they found out they lived about 5 streets from each other.

Giles was setting up at the front of the room and most of the class had filled while they had been talking. “Well if you ever need a ride, just let me know.” William finished and turned in his seat.

“Sure thanks,” She barely got out of her mouth. She’d always wondered what dumbfounded would feel like. Now she had a pretty decent idea.

The lecture went on as usual, with the anecdotes from Giles and ideas on how to research their upcoming speeches, all the while Buffy was throwing an idea around.

Next week were demonstration speeches. Basically anything you could share as a tool in life. One girl was going to explain how to tie a tie and another was going to demonstrate a technique for saddling a horse. She had overheard one guy thinking about showing how to golf, or maybe it was a golf swing?

She herself had agonized over what to do because about the only thing she could come up with was how to do simple maintenance on your computer, but that meant lugging the computer all over with her on the bus.

Now she had an offer. But riding in his car, that might be tempting her ability to keep her dirty thoughts to herself when it came to the obviously younger man. And in an enclosed space, alone with him? She wasn’t sure if she could handle it. But she really couldn’t let an opportunity to skip the bus and also have a way to get her things to class with such ease pass by. Could she?

After class was dismissed Buffy took a deep breath and walked over to William. He was packing up his things and spared her a glance before wrapping himself up in the leather he brought everyday no matter the weather.

“I was wondering, if you really don’t mind,” She started. “If you could give me a lift next week. I need to bring some stuff in, and I really don’t know how to manage on the bus.

“Yeah sure.” He did that darn smile thing again. “Why don’t I give you my mobile number, and you can call, give me directions, alright?”

And it was that simple, which only made the situation more difficult.

Keeping men as friends had always been pretty simple. There was no casual flirting with male friends, no stringing along or teasing. There was this invisible line she’d drawn after the dismal end to her last relationship a year ago to the boring, smothering, annoying Riley. He’d taken up so much of her time she started feeling guilty for going to class or having to study, but that only lasted for about a week before she just got pissed off at him.


After that mess and the months after when he kept calling and emailing, asking if she’d had enough time to herself, at which time she finally blocked him from all communication she decided she was done. No more men for Buffy. She was here to learn, gain her degree. She was in no way here for boys.

Admittedly there were some tough days, and the first few months were no picnic but now it was just a given. She had pretty much gotten to the point where the males she did associate with never even registered on her radar as good looking or not. They were all just friends, looks didn’t matter.

It was never a problem before William walked into class, but on that first day he picked her up, sitting in her drive with the Desoto’s engine running, she knew it was going to be a bigger challenge to hide her thoughts of him.

Her computer case and a box with several bits of hardware sat in the backseat, while she took the front passenger. His driving as he pulled out roughly and the bench seat made her grateful she’d strapped on her seatbelt with automatic ease. If she hadn’t her rear would have slid all over the place.

She held back her laugh when she noted the track playing. One of those old grungy punk bands. She actually liked most music from the 50’s to modern, but she couldn’t place the tune.

He was bobbing his head to the music by the time they left the housing addition. He turned onto the streets that would take them to the college, now filled other vehicles. “So, are you nervous about your speech?”

He hadn’t really spoken till then, so the question caught her off guard. She gathered herself though, and decided to be honest. “No, I usually feel fine right until I’m up there.”

The memories from speeches required in high school bombarded her. She really hated the idea of getting in front of a group of people and talking, speaking at them. A discussion was fine, but speeches were just something she would force her way through, be grateful for a passing grade and try to forget later.

He chuckled. “See, I’m a mess now but I’ll be fine after I talk for a bit.” He confessed just before his cell phone started a techno ring that just seemed to contrast the man. “Yeah, this is Spike.” He was now holding the phone in one hand, steering with the other and his head was leaned back like he was relaxing for the time being.

There was a giggle trying very hard to get out of Buffy, after all, what the hell kind of name is Spike?

“Yeah mate, say around 7.” He was still talking on the phone and straightened up when the traffic began moving again. “Right.”

She kept her eyes looking out the windshield as the other cars wound through the streets. It was the closest thing she could do to provide him some kind of privacy while he spoke on the phone. Her eyes caught a banner over The Bronze, some concert was coming up.

“So you goin’ to go first or wait?” William asked her.

She faced him again, his phone now tucked away. “I’m not sure. I kinda want to get it over with, but I would rather just avoid the whole thing.”

He nodded, and turned down the music when the car pulled closer to the campus. “I just hope I get a good grade.”

“Oh you’ll be fine.” She tried to assure him. After all, for some reason Mr. Giles seemed to like him. Not that he wasn’t likeable, but he rarely spoke in class. Though now that she considered it, when he did speak up it was usually intelligent.

They stepped out of the car after he parked in a spot near the building. She could see her usual bus stop and was again grateful she hadn’t had to lug all of this on the bus.

She moved to the back seat and grabbed the computer tower after shoving the box on top. It was going to be tough but she had the short stack balanced.

William came beside her with an ironing board, neatly hung dress shirts and an iron. “You sure you got all that?”

“Yup, one thing they don’t tell the average Joe, computer geeks have good upper arm strength from lifting these suckers all the time.” She tapped her trim nails against the metal of the computer tower.

“Alright.” They headed into the building.

~~`~~

She sat on her bed staring at the phone. Got to love caller ID. Such a modern convenience. It tormented her right now because Spike’s number was on it. Maybe only the fourth call down because she never really gave out her cell number, so her received list was fairly short.

He’d had to call her about the next speech, something about drawing up the outline so she’d tried to help him out. In the end it turned out he knew what he was doing, but just needed some help with the order in which to put everything

So now she had his number, and the weather still sucked. Why in the world did Sunnydale decide to mimic Sandusky, Ohio this year. There had been snow. Freaking Snow!! Who ordered the snow?

But really, was that any reason not to wait at a bus stop? A little frozen water never killed anyone. Ok well maybe people died in avalanches and frost bite wasn’t really something she wanted, but it wasn’t so bad really. So did she really need a lift from William, or was it Spike now, just to get to class tomorrow?

With another look out her window and seeing yet another wave of light flakes falling she decided and clicked through the ‘quick keys’ on her phone to ’Recent Calls’ before pressing SEND.

~~`~~

She took note of how few of the students were left in the class. It had started with around 30 people and had shrunk to an embarrassing 10 or so, depending on who showed up.

This happened about four weeks ago when it was time for the actual Speech part of Speech Class. And as she held the note cards in her hands looking over the few faces left she did her best not to look at the seat next to hers, because now that is where he sat.

With the shrinking of the class people had began grouping themselves in mini cliques. Nothing as scandalous as the groups in high school, but people who were more familiar with each other now sat at 5 tables. The two rows in the far back to her right were full and the last 3 on the left, not including her now empty chair, were used bay another 4 people.

Giles sat in the back, a patient look on his face. There was still some talk on the previous speech, and her thoughts were random even as she thought about the ride she would be having home with him. He’d agreed to help her out till the end of classes. It was really nice, and he wouldn’t take gas money from her, which was unnerving.

She didn’t know why but she really didn’t want to feel she owed him a debt for the chauffeur duties. So instead she considered why he was being so nice, and trying to make sure her inner slut understood that her thoughts were evil and badness.

He was just a polite well raised gentleman, and not only was he too young for her, not that she’d ever asked his age, but they were in two different leagues. Hell they were different sports. Like the NHL versus the NFL, very unmixy.

“Aright Miss Summers. Whenever you’re ready.” Giles politely encouraged and held the stopwatch used for each speech.

She stood up a little straighter and took a breath just as she felt the pit of her stomach tighten and the shaking began. All normal for her. It was time to battle through .

~~`~~

She was laughing now with Spike as they drove closer to her house. “I’m just glad I only have one left.” She kept laughing. “But I swear if Xander keeps counting everyone’s ‘Um’s’ I’m going to have to become violent. Pen stabbing seems appropriate.” She nodded to herself as the giggles subsided.

The quirky man sitting in front of her had taken teasing to a new level after an open talk before class about Mr. Giles counting the number of times people said ‘and’, ‘you know’, ‘like’ , and ‘Um’ during their speeches. Apparently Xander liked ‘Um’ best and decided to keep his own count.

Spike’s laughter had died down. What had ever possessed the brunette to start keeping a tally of peoples nerves while in front of the room, he’d never know. One thing was for sure, Buffy couldn’t stop laughing when he did it. And she’d tried to stop, he saw that. Doodling on her paper instead of looking up, for Xander sat right in front of her, usually turned to the side so his fingers counting were in plain view.

“And I still can’t believe you waited to write up your note cards till we were actually sitting in the classroom.” She added with indignity. “You know, they call it HOMEwork for a reason.” It was really wrong that she thought it was adorable that he’d put it off till the last second. What was worse was that she knew it was wrong that he‘d put off the preparations, but it had given her a decent excuse to watch him as he wrote down his notes.

Cripes! And she was doing so well until then, or so she thought.

The roads were still backed up and they currently were at a dead stop about four cars from a green light. She liked this time of day, they talked like friends and it was as close as she would let herself get.

“My ex keeps calling me.” He said out of nowhere.

She knew of his ex, but it really confused her. The ex wasn’t really an ex. He always seemed to be broken up with her, but he seemed to go out with her a lot in a very not ex way. Buffy had already decided it had to do with his age. Nothing was really permanent when you were that young. And the ‘ex’ lived in LA so that probably added to the situation.

“I tried calling her yesterday,” He started again. “But she ignored it all day. Didn’ call till late saying she’d been sleeping and not feeling well.”

Buffy drew her brows together not understanding where this was going. “Oh.” Was all she could manage.

“Yeah. It’s weird, right? She was supposed to be going shopping with her friends. Came into a bit of cash a few days ago.” He turned towards the blonde passenger who was still taking in the added details. “Now, what woman stays home sleeping instead of shopping?”

She giggled at his statement but really couldn’t come up with an adequate defense for his ‘ex’ at first. Then his first words caught her attention. “Maybe she really was sick.”

“Pfft.” He waved her off and traffic started moving again, finally.

They made it nearly a quarter mile before it was all stop time again. “Well now she’s callin‘, and I’m not gonna’ answer the phone.” He was apparently not finished. “She’s been ringing all day, but I’m not goin’ to talk to her if she’s gonna duck my calls and lie ‘bout what she’s doing.”

Childish was the first word to come to mind, once again proving to her that he had to be younger than her. Of course most men were fairly immature when it came to dealing with women, she’d seen too many of her friends do ridiculous things over a girl.

So she kept her mouth shut on this one, opting for the ‘If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all’ rule that came in handy from time to time.

“So what do you think?” He asked.

Well crap, that plan didn’t work. “Hmm,” She tried to stall as he mind whizzed through possible responses. “I, uh,” Oh look, April Fools is having a going out of business sale. Which has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. “Well, Spike, you don’t really know she wasn’t sick. At least she did call you when she woke up.”

He didn‘t miss a beat. “But something’s not right. Why wouldn’t she answer at all? And all she said was that it was her time of the month, so she stayed in. Not feelin’ right.”

She’d had a friend like that in high school. Once a month, without fail, she missed a day of school. Personally Buffy never had any kind of cramps so it was always a little hard for her to believe having your period was a good reason to miss school.

Then she’d had a bad cycle herself. It was the only bad one she could remember but her hips hurt and her stomach had ached. She did go to work, but it was a miserable day of serving crappy fast food to fat people.

She may have been crabby that day too.

“I don’t know, Spike. Maybe she took one too many Midol and slept right through the shopping fun.”

He didn’t really say much after that, in fact she wasn’t sure if he’d heard her. But at least traffic was moving again, and it seemed like she‘d be home in no time.

~~`~~

She’d passed the class. Not that earning a B in the class was an amazing triumph but she hadn’t fainted during any of her turns to speak and the final had felt almost too easy. At the end of class Giles was sharing most their probable grade and telling them it was a pleasure to be their instructor.

Buffy and Spike walked out as was usual these days, together, and headed to the Desoto.

Although she was glad to have finished yet another semester, she wasn’t all that glad that this was the last time she’d be riding in the classic car. As soon as she opened the door she was assaulted with the scent again. It wasn’t so bad usually now. She'd gotten used to him sitting next to her but after class, opening that car door it always hit her for that first few seconds.

She took a last smell, trying to commit it to memory.

The ride home was somehow quieter and she wished she could come up with something to talk about. Something that didn’t scream ‘I really just wanted to talk to you cuz I’m a roll of flaming hormones that can’t stand that I won’t see you again’. She however drew a blank.

He flipped through the radio and stopped on something that surprised her.

A little more satisfaction,
a little more action please

“Oh my god, I love this song.” Buffy squealed and laughed. It wasn’t the original Elvis, but the remix that had come out and played as the theme song for that TV show, Las Vegas.

He cocked an eyebrow at her. “You know, Elvis has got to be alive. He keeps putting out songs. Dead men do not release songs.”

“Oh how little you know,” She shook her finger at him as if chastising a toddler. “Lest we forget Tupoc.”

“Amongst many others I’m sure.” He added keeping his eyes on the road but smiling nonetheless.

“It’s just crazy what they can do with sound bites these days.” She sat back and watched the familiar scenery go by quickly after they drove through the worst of the traffic. “Pretty soon they are going to just pull idiots off the streets, have them say a sentence, add some beats to it and call it the next hot thing.”

He snickered, nodding in agreement with her. “And forty years from now John Lennon, Tupok and Elvis will be releasing a new mix called, Dead Men Singing.”

They both chuckled at that one

The talk had distracted her, and when he pulled into her driveway she was surprised to be home. The giggles quickly vanished and she stared at her front door before grabbing her backpack and purse from the floor in the most nonchalant way she could manage. “Well thanks again for giving me a ride.” Even as she said the words her mind couldn’t help but think of a different kind of ride she’d rather have taken.

“Was no problem.” He gave her a nod and a smile. “I’ll talk to you later.”

It was the kind of thing you said, even of you both knew you’d probably never see each other again. “Yeah, you’ve got my number.” And why had she just said that?

Before anything else could slip from her lips such as; You are gorgeous! Can I keep you? What the heck is that cologne you wear? She decided to just get out quick, gave him a bright smile and shut the passenger door before strolling to her home.

She didn’t look back when she heard him back out. The tires making that little bounce off the curb of her drive was the last thing she heard as she shut the door behind her and looked over her empty house.

Despite herself, she smiled.
End Notes:
I literally threw this together yesterday and did a quick edit this morning. Please do let me know what you think.
Need for Speed part 1 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
OK, I can take a hint. LoL, I am just plain giddy with the reviews and since all asked for more well, how can I say no?

Classes start next week so I'm gonna try to get as much up on the other 2 as well before then.
~The end of the following summer~

Buffy leaned in close to the bathroom mirror as she applied the mascara to her eyelashes. Silently she wondered to herself something her sister had asked her when the squirt was around 10. Buffy had been performing the same act she as she readied for school that day.

“Why do we open our mouths to put on mascara?” She asked her reflection once she was done with her artwork and shrugged with the lack of response.

She felt good, light like a weight had been lifted.

The pop station on the radio played one of the latest and greatest hits that held an easy rhythm she found herself dancing to while she added the final touches to her look. She was going for what Xander liked to call, ‘smoking‘ hot‘. It was funny, the first time she and her little cyber-crew went out. Poor Xander had nearly fallen over.

It wasn’t really her fault. Her college gear, namely jeans and T-shirts, were all anyone had ever seen her dress in. A sloppy ponytail atop her head, and she rarely bothered with makeup on most days. After all, who was she trying to impress? No one. So her friend hadn’t really been prepared for ‘Dressed up Buffy’

It was at the end of the summer semester though now, marking yet another core of classes accomplished. Or class, in this case.

The previous semester she had finally made some good friends with whom she had something in common.

It was hard being the only female CIT (Computer Information Technology) major that she knew of in the entire school. The guys were always great in her computer oriented classes, but once the lesson was over the acquaintances just didn’t seem to last.

So when Xander somehow ended up in her Network Server class, they made quick work of sharing a workspace, glad to recognize a familiar face. He came over twice during Spring Break with another guy who was now very familiar, Oz. His red hair was the only loud thing about him, but he was a genius, literally. There was a test, but he wouldn‘t say anything more about it.

Oz, quiet as he was, was great. There was an easy calm that seemed to hover around him. He was in a part time band, which translated to the band hanging out in a garage messing around but with no real ambition. He laughed the first time he told her that. Or at least she thought there was a laugh. His lips moved for sure.

Which contrasted Xander’s over the top actions well. She could see why they got along. And as they met in a Network Security class Buffy thought for sure he was yet another comrade in Geekdome. Turns out he was a Liberal Arts major and just thought the class sounded fun.

About mid-semester while Buffy was heading towards the bus stop on a particularly sun shiny day, she heard her name being called and turned to find a very unexpected, but completely welcome sight. Willow had come back to Sunnydale.

After much hugging and “Oh my god’s!” The redhead explained how some of her web design work had picked up so she was transferring back home to take some more classes and freshen up her resume.

Not two weeks later, Willow and Oz met and about 2 days after that they were inseparable.

So that was her little group of fun people. Herself, the hardware geek, Xander the Networking geek, Willow the database and webpage designer, and Oz who seemed to pick up on anything he put his mind to.

She fluffed her hair out as she scrutinized her reflection, it’d grown over the months and she’d let it. There were waves that she’d arranged in purposeful disarray. Her black halter wrapped around her snugly while her black jeans hugged her hips flaring at the bottom, showing just the tip of her leather booted feet.

This would do.

With a playful kiss at the woman smiling back on the mirror, Buffy flipped the bathroom light switch off and headed back to her room to double check everything.

“ID in back pocket, got it.” She said to no one sliding the little card into place. “Forty five bucks in the front pocket.” Her purse was flung to the bed after she grabbed the two twenties and the five dollar bill. “Cell phone, other front pocket.” She thanked her brilliant mind for deciding on the slim version of the communication convenience. This little baby wouldn’t mess up the smooth lines of her carefully chosen outfit. “And last but not least, house key.”

She spun around eyeing the corners of her room. “Which would be somewhere.” She spun again trying to figure out where she’d set her keys last time she’d come inside. “In the house, I hope.”

She headed down the steps only to spy them sitting on the small table right by the door. “Thank goodness.” She sighed and quickly took the house key off the ring before sliding it in the same pocket as her cell, feeling it drop to the very base of the pocket safe and snug.

She checked the clock hanging on the wall in the front room and noticed her ride would be here any second. With a quick run through the house she made sure the lights were out and the back door was firmly latched and locked.

She was heading towards the lamp on the table by the couch when she heard the familiar car pulling up. It rumbled in need of a new muffler almost as much as it needed an oil change and possibly a new engine while we’re at it.

She decided to just leave the lamp on to make it look like she wasn’t leaving her home empty and defenseless before flipping the switch on for the porch light. She stepped out to see Xander’s car packed at the curb.

The poor coupe was rusted and the paint which had at one time been either blue or green, had flaked off more of the metal than it covered. The engine was running on a hope and a prayer as well, but she was in no position to judge, nope. No car having Buffy was just glad not to be riding the bus.

“Come on Buffy!!” She heard her friends calling while she studied the stars and remembered the last time she’d really been glad to avoid the bus. She shook her head at the memory of the old Desoto and locked the door before walking to the car and climbing into the passenger seat.

Willow started talking from behind her immediately. “Can you believe we made it through Summer classes?”

“Yes Miss 4.0. I can believe it.” Buffy stuck her tongue out and teased her best friend.

In truth they were all proud of themselves. Buffy had taken it easy and just gone on and finished her Sociology requirement. It had been interesting and she’d enjoyed the material.

Xander decided it was time he completed his math requirement and was beyond happy to be done with it.

Oz and Willow had taken an advanced graphics course, both glad that they had been able to work on projects together.

Now, however, was the time to party, celebrate and let it all go. They had three weeks before the fall semester and with the exception of some part time work, they were free.

Xander wove through town with ease, this time of night it was the students that ran the place. Clubs and concerts were what set this side of the little burg apart and it was no secret why the college was barely a mile from the biggest party spot in town.

Before they knew it the car was parked in front of their favorite place to dance and relax; The Cypher Café.

Willow had found it on accident the day she came back to Sunnydale. She needed a wi-fi connection and fast so after misreading the blue neon sign she walked in to find a huge dance floor and lines of bottles against one wall. After a quick glance around she made a mental note of the establishment.

Now it was the place they went whenever they had a chance.

Despite the poor coincidence in the name, the place was amazing. The layout was simple on paper, the main area had a huge dance floor with a stage for live bands up front. To the left was another are with a smaller dance floor but still loads of room and along one wall was a line of computers for the use of anyone. And just beyond that was the game room with pool tables and various video games.

Once Willow told the group about it and they’d gone, it was home. It had a feeling like The Bronze had when Willow and she were younger. It was familiar and safe, but without all those pesky teenagers. It was perfect for the 21 and over crowd, which they were.

The four lined up like everyone else did outside waiting for entrance. Buffy plucked out her ID and held it out while she smiled at the very large hulk of a man wearing a black shirt that read “Security” across his chest. After he waved her in she paid the five dollar cover and followed the men with Willow just behind her.

The main room was packed to the hilt with bouncing bodies moving to the overwhelming sound of a dance beat that she could not only feel through the soles of her feet. She felt it as the tiny hairs on her arm seemed to shake from the vibrations.

But this wasn’t where they came to hang out.

With careful maneuvering and well placed “excuse me’s” from the eyelash batting girls, the quartet pushed through to the smaller dance area and the computers.

There were less bodies there so all four took a moment to take a deep breath and try to get the smell of suffocation out of their noses. “What do you say we pick up some liquid energy before we head out?” Xander motioned to the bar directly ahead.

The others nodded and they all placed their orders. “I’ve got this round.” Buffy announced and pulled a 20 out, leaving it all for the waitress so she could keep the change.

After a quick sip of her Coke she eyed their destination and began through the light crowd of people. They followed knowing where the blonde was headed.

They didn’t even bother with the computer space. These things had nothing to offer, public computers were just set up for chatting and online games. Much too kindergarten for this bunch.

Instead they were going to the game room.

The music still blared but it was a low hum in the back room. On the furthest wall was a huge screen playing the latest sport event with the volume muted so as not to disturb the plinks and clanks and clicks of the gamers.

There was an empty table sitting between the pool tables lined up on the right and the video games on the left so they settled in to wait for a free space to play.

Buffy was keeping her eyes on a racing game she always enjoyed while Xander and Oz were busy discussing the need for a good game of pool. Willow sat sipping her pink concoction while her eyes darted around the room trying to decide what to do first.

Finally it was decided, pool now, video games later.

~~`~~

Buffy was waiting for Oz to take his shot at the 8 ball. For some reason the game was taking longer than usual. She suspected it had to do with her partner’s complete inability to stop staring at the leggy brunette one table over.

“Xander, why don’t you just ask her if you can get her a drink.” She hissed at him while leaning against her cue.

He smiled at the unknown woman a table away, who happened to look over at just that moment. Xander swiftly spun so he was no longer facing the beauty and answered in a hushed tone. “Because, her very tattooed boyfriend is playing pool right next to us.”

Buffy looked over and sure enough there was a jean-vest no-shirt-having tattooed guy. She rolled her eyes and shook her head before speaking to Xander again. “Then why are you looking at her like that?”

He flailed his arms out and tried to stay quiet when he squeaked. “Well look at her!”

Oz came up beside them with Willow happily swinging her stick side to side. “Game’s over.” Oz told them.

“We won.” Willow giggled and set her pool cue on the table.

“Whoa!!!” The crowd behind them all called drawing their attention.

A large group of people was surrounding Buffy’s favorite game, and something major seemed to be going on. Without a word to her friends she set her cue aside. She headed towards the group and used her best “I’m a helpless little girl” smile to work her way up to the front.

The seats of the four player game were filled and the scenery on the screens was screaming by. She watched the screens, each separately, until she could figure out who the leader was. He was the guy right in front of her, only 1.04 seconds ahead of the next car in line. They were running a track four times around and were apparently on the last half of the final lap.

She winced and heard another round of “Whoa” when the leader rammed into the wall and the third driver snuck around the second to take over first while the previous leader was left in last place.

And it was over.

Damn that just sucked, but that’s why she liked the racing games, one false move and the lineup could all change fast. The man in fourth got up and the three remaining seated called out looking for an opponent.

With a gleam in her eye Buffy stepped up and took the vacant seat.

The crowd got quiet and she heard a few snickers from some of the people gathered.
The seat she had was on the far right end and the three players, all men, leaned forward to get a better look at the blonde bombshell dressed like a wet dream. “What?” She asked innocently looking back.

The boy next to her was barely legal, she could see that from the light acne still sprinkled along his cheeks. He was giving her a shy smile. “Are you sure you want to race?”

“Oh yeah,” She said nodding vigorously before she reached in her pocket and pulled out her only other bill. “Crap.” She whispered again and smiled back at the young man. “But I don’t have change.”

The money was snatched out of her hand and she heard Willow yell “On it!” Apparently Willow had used her charms to work through the rowdy crowd as well.

“It’s ok.” Buffy heard from the far left end as another of her opponents talked across the isle. “I needed to stretch anyway.” The other brunette mocked them all. “This winning streak is really starting to give me a leg cramp.” He twisted in his seat and moved what limbs he could without standing.

Unimpressed, she sat back in her seat as the words “Coming through, coming through!” were being repeated. Buffy soon had a lump of quarters in her hand and hoped that Willow hadn’t really gone and changed her entire 20 dollars to quarters. With a sigh she looked back at the line of guys. “Ok, all set.” And dropped 4 quarters into the slot.

The obnoxious boy at the end said something she couldn’t understand, then pressed his red button, indicating he was ready to start.

The boy next to her leaned over and pointed at her steering wheel trying to explain the switch just under her thumb. “Just remember, the right hand is your NOS, it gives your car a burst of speed. Ok?”

She nodded, thinking that he was a sweet kid while he also explained where the emergency break was and that she had to remember to chose between manual and automatic before she pressed the red button to start.

“Thanks.” She said meaning it.

“Why don’t you tell her all the shortcuts too while your at it?” The fella at the end complained.

“Yeah, it’s- you shouldn’t- she should figure it out herself.” The curly haired dark blonde finally spit out from between the two brunettes.

Buffy rolled her eyes and set up her game station for Automatic Transmission before pressing the red button and flipping her hair out of the way.

She eyed the man furthest from her, the countdown beeping almost immediately from 5. “Are you done talking?” She asked and heard the beep counting 3 seconds. “Or can we race now?” She finished and looked back at her monitor, foot already pressed down on the gas, just in time to hear the last second beep away. The digital smoke raised from under all four car’s squealing tires and in an instant she was taken into the game.

It was about halfway through the second lap when the shift in the onlookers started. Declarations of “Damn” and “Did you see that?” were coming from behind her seat. This only made her smile even wider. She really loved the game, maybe because she seriously couldn’t drive in real life. Also, it helped that she was excellent at it.

“What the-?”

That was the obnoxious wacko at the end. He was none to pleased with how the race was going. Every time he was right on the ass of her car, she gained momentum and he seemed to spin out directly after.

“She’s doing that thing again.” Willow held onto her boyfriend’s hand as they watched Buffy’s car seemingly glide over hills and around corners like magic.

“Yup.” Oz agreed.

Xander took a pull from his beer and kept an eye on guy on the end who kept giving his smiling carefree blonde pal evil glares between driving. “You know what this means?”

“The earth is spinning?” Willow offered sarcastically.

Xander had to concede her that one. “Well, yes, but also that someone is going to be an upset camper when this is over.”

“There is that.” Oz said when the crowd let out a resounding “Yeah!”

The three shared a look and Xander set down his drink before they began pushing to the front to stand by their friend.

As predicted, Buffy was smiling like a loon with the reigning champ’s car close on her tail. She saw a glint of red hair in the corner of her eye and chirped out. “Hey guys. What’s up?”

“Just watchin’ the races Buffster.” Xander answered, keeping his eye on the main contender on the end.

“Cool.” Buffy spun her wheel hard and tapped the break just enough to ram and spin out the second car without loosing too much momentum during a turn before she laid on the last of her NOS and she was over the finish line in a breath.

The boys in the middle passed as second and third a millisecond apart and last place was taken by the now red faced former ruler of the game.

“What the hell was that?” He yelled in is seat. “I demand a rematch!” He yelled at her.

“Those aren’t the rules.” The guy next to her spat back.

“He’s right.” A voice in the crowd agreed. “Got to vacate your seat, mate.”

All at once Buffy’s blaring grin fell with sudden recognition of the voice.

Her eyes widened and her grip on the steering wheel became fierce. “No way.” She whispered to herself before turning to see who had spoken. After all, there were loads of British men roaming around Sunnydale. At least two that she knew of for sure.

Could be Mr. Giles.

She peeked around her seat and scanned the faces in the crowd hoping beyond hope to not see him. It was bad enough she knew that this moment would now ensure he would plague her thoughts again. Last time she swore she’d seen him, the dreams lasted 2 full weeks.

Oz was standing in her line of sight so she motioned for him to move and once he did he tried to see what she was looking at. Her other friends followed suit and before she knew it, everyone was checking to see what she was staring at, even her fellow players.

Spike stood there seemingly unchanged. Even though it was summer the duster still hung from his shoulders, and he was still covered head to toe in black with stark white hair slicked back atop his head. He soon noticed everyone was staring his way. “Well it’s the rules, right?” He said, a little uncomfortable under the crowd’s scrutiny.

A split second later the moment was over and the loosing man stumbled out of his spot like a child throwing a tantrum. “Fine!”

“Warren, don’t be like that.” The blonde in the middle ran after him whining.

“Oh here we go again.” The last of the guys groaned and stood up, turning to Buffy. “It really was a great race, Thanks.” He gave her a glimpse of a smile and trudged off.

Buffy looked back at the three empty places and giggled. “Well I didn’t mean to make them all leave.” She briefly forgot about her near encounter with Spike. “Just the rude one.”

There were a few laughs as one by one the spaces were filled with new player. Buffy wanted to stay but she didn’t want to ditch her friends.

She turned to see the boys racking up at the pool table they had been using. Willow gave her a pleading look.

Buffy took a second glance and saw that Xander was talking with another pair of men, both holding pool sticks. They seemed to be settling in for a game against her male pals. And of course, Willow wanted to go back to the pool area with her favorite guy.

“If you guys don’t mind, I don’t.” Buffy said sincerely.

Willow hugged her quick. “Good luck.” And ran up to cheer for her man.

Buffy looked over to see who had sat down and saw that the seat formerly occupied by the polite kid was now taken up by Spike.

Oh shit.

She quickly turned her head away and eyed the stack of quarters setting next to her unneeded stick shift. Breathing was a challenge as every dirty vision she’d ever had of him immediate assaulted her. Not only was he still great looking but within seconds that unmistakable and it seemed, unforgettable, scent seemed to invade her space.

“Thought that was marvelous. The way you booted that wanker from the game.”

And now he was speaking to her so she picked up her change with determination and deposited another dollar, giving her time to think of something to respond with. “He was an asshole.”

Oh yes, very clever. You must be a great composer of fine sonnets.

“That he was.” He seemed to agree with a light chuckle.

She set her station up to her preferences again and pressed the red button. No one else was ready so that gave her some spare time to look over her shoulder only to see him smiling back.

Crap. Not the smile too!

He didn’t say anything to her. Didn’t ask how she’d been, or what was up? It was like he didn’t even remember her, and here he’d been the star of multiple fantasies. The reason why sometimes when she rode the bus and saw a boat of a black car driving along she had to take a closer look to see who might be driving.

She smiled politely back and heard the countdown begin on the game. She faced her virtual reality and checked the upper corner for the race style. She couldn’t help but grin. It was a favorite with some fun turns through the city. No more boring walls.

She took off, and just like before she zoned into the game.

Things were going great as she steered through the digital streets. She managed to nearly block out the fact that he was seated next to her, distracted by her enjoyment of the twists of the road. Then he started making comments.

“Bloody- It’s hard to make out the road on this thing sometimes.” He said, his entire body bending into the turn he was executing.

She was startled by his voice just enough to miss the timing in the next curve the course took. Her car began to swerve and the onlookers sucked in an audible breath only adding to her distraction.

“’S a close one there.“ He’d apparently seen her waver.

Her zone was gone and she panicked for a split second before she turned her wheel and pressed the brake gently before turning it again and slamming down on the gas. She was going full speed again.

A glance to the right of the screen told her she had fallen to third during that little stunt. Seeing she was nearing the final lap she made a decision and just drove her best, hoping to close the gap.

She was tied with second when the final quarter of the last lap came. In an unprecedented move her car veered off the road, between two buildings and cut up an ally to come out just a turn from the finish line and a full second ahead of all the others.

The crowd went a little crazy then. Clapping and Booing alike sounded out filling the back room, along with some laughing. Then she crossed the checkered finish line and let the wheel go to slump back in her seat. That was a close one, but she had been grinning the whole time.

“That was pretty clever.” He was talking again so she had to be polite and at least make eye contact.

She did, and watched as one of the guys behind Spike switched spots with another. She glanced up at his screen to see he was in second place. “You too. That was some maneuver on the second pass.” She recalled him swerving from a curb at the last second, causing the car behind him to crash and loose time.

He looked at her a bit more carefully then before asking. “I know you, don’t I?

She rolled her eyes, disappointed her earlier conclusion was confirmed. “Yeah, Spike. You used to save me from the torture of waiting for the bus in the only actual winter Sunnydale has seen in a century.”

He leaned back in his seat to look over the woman beside him again. Recognition soon filled his face and he again smiled. “Buffy?”
End Notes:
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to let me know you liked Comm 101. If you hadn't I wouldn't have had the fun I did writing this chapter.
Need For Speed part 2 by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
I can't say thank you enough for everyone whos reading this one. And especially those leaving reviews. I don't really consider myslef a review whore, I just like writing. But Damn I'm really surprised with the numbers guys. The way you've taken to this idea has kinda blown me away. Plus, heh, it lets me work out this infatuation I had for the guy who gave me a ride to class last semester. He's no Spike mind ya, but damn he was yummy.
His mind was stuck on one simple word.

Wow!

Until he really took a close look, there had been no clue for him that this woman was Buffy. There was such a huge contrast between the laughing and ever smiling simply kept female and the look of the racing vixen sitting next to him now.

His gaze lingered on her longer than he probably should have let it, but he couldn’t help but take her in. She was sheathed in black but for the flesh of her shoulders and arms. And every scrap that came into contact with curves hugged them in a way that suddenly made him wish he were the silk of her top.

He was dazzled by her hair as well. He’d never seen it flowing freely and framing her face like it did now. It was wild and matched the look on her face and the fire in her sparkling green eyes that were looking back at him.

The big head needs to take the reigns here.

He sat up and turned back to get set for another round of driving, hoping to curb his libido. What the hell is going on? This is Buffy, mate. Get a hold of yourself. He looked back over at her to see she was pressing her start button and tried to tell himself what he’d told himself for 3 months of classes and 10 months of coming across her number in his mobile. She’s older than you, Willy boy. Got her life set up. Don’ need some kid coming in making an idiot of himself.

That entire semester had been like some kind of facts-of-life test for him. From that very first day he walked in and headed to the empty seat in the front.

If he hadn’t had to wait for his car, and if the garage changing his oil hadn’t been backed up, he could have taken a seat in the back that day and avoided the whole thing.

But no, he had to walk by her. The vanilla mixed with just a touch of lavender had nearly stopped in in his steps. As it was he barely got out an explanation for being tardy on the first day.

In class he was quiet, because she always seemed to have something to say. He liked to sit back and watch the debates she and the other students would get into with the professor. She was witty and smart and always smiling, and he couldn’t help but wish there was some way he could talk to her.

It was halfway through the semester when he spotted her standing near the curb looking up the street, seemingly searching for something. He had half a mind to call to her, but what would he say after that? “Hi, I was wondering why you’re standing at a street corner?”

Maybe not.

So he’d sat in his car and waited for traffic to leave the space he needed to pull onto the street, every now and then glancing at the blonde gripping her black backpack.

Then a miracle happened.

Cold.

And it was the best freezing cold that had ever been thrown down by The Gods to be endured by the humans. At last, he had an excuse to talk to her while saving her from the plummeting temperature.

Those last weeks taking her to school were the highlight of his year. It was obvious she looked at him like any other person in the class, but giving her a lift back and forth for each session let him be alone and talk to her. It was probably all he was going to get from the more mature woman, but he’d take that crumb.

She kept offering to give him a few dollars for ‘gas money’ but he couldn’t take her cash. Not when her sitting beside him seemed like a gift in itself.

She was always dressed the same, and never failed to pick out shirts that had a funny name or silly saying on it. But it was always a T-shirt and jeans plus her devastating smile.

Her hair had been pulled back as well, and although there was a hint of lip balm on her lips each day, her face was always fresh and clean.

In his opinion she really didn’t need any help. Her face was classically elegant without makeup.

Those traits alone would have been enough for him, but there was another thing about her that had his head spinning.

Without fail, after she settled in her seat and shut the door the air would rush towards him and he would inhale deeply while she looked away to secure her seatbelt. Her scent would attack his senses. He was glad she was safety conscious, otherwise there was no way he could hide the look of pure lust that followed those first moment he captured her unique perfume.

After she left, that sweetness would linger in the Desoto, something that often caused him to sit in his car long after he arrived at his own home.

When he decided to move his sitting position in the classroom next to hers she hadn’t flinched. Just smiled and lent him a pen when he asked for one.

It had been a calculated move. The class was more than half empty and he decided he didn’t want to sit alone at his table.

Yeah, because it’s scary all alone over there.

He found himself participating in class those last few weeks as well. She would make a comment that he now felt more comfortable responding to. Inevitably Xander would add his two cents in and the entire class would start up with Mr. Giles having to silence them so the next speaker could start.

Still, the rides in the car were what he woke up for. She talked about her sister, who was also older than he but by a small margin. She admitted that her ‘geekiness’ extended to cult TV shows and video games. She even talked about her ex boyfriends a little when he admitted to having a girlfriend, but that the whole thing was constantly up in the air.

Long distance relationships were complicated, but when he was with Dru he forgot all the difficulties of being apart.

The problem was that they were apart a lot, and they led such separate lives that it was hard for him to figure out what they were doing together. The only good part about their fragile arrangement was the ‘coming together’ that happened a few times a month.

But he was behaving in every sense of the word. He hadn’t so much as shaken another girl’s hand. No matter how much he would like to have tried the waters with Buffy, he knew he wouldn’t and couldn’t so it was a safe kind of crush. Still, he ached when the final session was finished and he was dropping her home for the last time.

Watching her gather her things like she always did, flash him a smile and thank him before they said their goodbyes nearly tore him in half. And when she reminded him he had her number he nearly had a stroke.

Is she asking me to call her?

She shut the door before he could ask.

He watched her as she pulled her keys from her purse and shuffled them one handed to choose the correct one. When he shifted his car into reverse she got the front door open and he pulled out slowly still waiting and watching for a wave or a final smile. Something.

The car cleared the curb and she shut the door. It was the last time he’d seen her, but not even close to the last time she was in his thoughts.

Those first few weeks were a new form of torture. While Dru was in hiding every time he tried to call her, his fingers itched to ring Buffy. An irksome reminder staring at him on the contact list glowing back at him from his mobile.

Why do D and B have to be so close together in the alphabet? And why aren’t there more people named Chris, or Carl?

But every time he scrolled to Dru’s name, he was forced to see Buffy’s go by, reminding him that he had a way to contact her, and absolutely no reasonable excuse to press the send key.

What was more ridiculous was that months after that, when the city bus went by, he started thinking about her again. It wouldn’t have been so bad but he was distracted that whole week, right while Dru was visiting.

Things did not go well and it took another month of bickering before they were back to the comfortable instability they had enjoyed before.

And then, here she was, again. Kind of.

The woman next to him still looked closer to his age than her own, and she still smiled but the sight of her with such a feminine costume had a different aura. A part of her personality that she would only let out when she felt she could. And he was glad he was here to see it, to see her.

~~`~~

Willow sidled up to Oz and laid her head on his shoulder with a whimper. “I think I’m getting sleepy.”

Her puckering frown made him quirk a smile. “We’re almost done.” He told her and wrapped an arm around her trim waist, rubbing her side gently to sooth her.

It had been a fun night. The boys played pool and she danced while Buffy played her game. She’d watched her best friend and her boyfriend in turn but it was nearing 2 am and her body was officially done for the day.

Xander came up and announced he’d handed over the table and they could go.

~~`~~

As the night had worn on, the crowd in the game room thinned. There were still four drivers but only a scantly clad girl cheering for the guy sitting on the other side of Spike was watching.

Buffy had had a good run of first and occasional second place finishes, ensuring her seat of the evening. This was fairly normal for her, but it still thrilled her to know she’d kept her place the entire evening.

She let out a yawn when the line of drivers started heckling each other. Normally she’d join in with this easy group but her eyes were starting to swim from her cola and her lids were drooping from weariness.

“Up for another round then?” She heard his velvety voice ask.

Still covering her mouth with her hand as she finished a second yawn, he smiled at her. “Or maybe it’s time for bed.”

The tone of his voice hadn’t changed, but her addled brain wasn’t working at peak and the way he spoke only made her mind take a detour to the gutter. She let the words out before they had even computed in her sleepy head. “You have no idea.”

Strangely her ears seemed to register the sentence just fine and pick out multiple meanings for it, ranging from the very innocent to the kind that required new sheets the following morning.

In haste she continued only half aware of what she said. “B-because it’s been a long summer. L-lots of homework a-and tests.” She tried to grin. “The usual summer semester abuse.”

It was then that Xander popped over the back of her chair and laid a hand on her shoulder. “Hey Buff, Willow’s wavering. I think it’s about time to let the fun end.”

She looked up and nodded. “Yeah.” She agreed with relief. “I was kinda thinking the same thing.” She told him before remembering her manners. “Hey Xan, you remember William don’t you?” She motioned to the man next to her.

Xander recognized the fellow matriculater instantly. “Hey, yeah man, how are ya?” He asked, surprise and friendliness clear on his face.

Spike couldn’t ignore the hand lying on Buffy’s shoulder. There was a familiarity between the older pair. It was pretty obvious that they were together so Spike sucked it up and returned the friendly tone. “Doing alright, mate. Brought some out of town visitors here but they’ve been sticking to the dance floor.”

“Ahh.” Xander nodded knowingly. Some guys were just not built to be shaking their groove thing. If given the choice, games, any game really, would win out over trying very hard not to embarrass himself in front of whatever girl he could con onto the floor.

“Well anyway.” Xander eyed Buffy again.

The blonde woman nodded and began to vacate her seat. “Right. Willow. Sleep.” She gathered up the last of her change, just enough for two games and got a funny idea. He never would let her give him gas money.

“Here Spike. Have a few on me.” She said and dropped the quarters onto her seat.

She gripped the back of her previous place at the game, taking the time to try and remember what she could of him again as his eyes stared down at the silver.

He looked back up at her, also trying to memorize the way she looked this night. Her smile seemed to shift her entire face into something ethereal. Could be the beer though. Except he hadn’t taken so much as a nip in the last 2 hours of playing and only had the half of one before he sat down.

“Thanks, pet.”

He watcher her nod at him again and walk away following her friends.

He spun in his seat so he could watch her go around the corner, appreciating the view of her rear he’d never had the privilege to see beneath those long oversized T-shirts. And then she disappeared around the corner.

He sat, staring now at the empty entrance to the gaming area, thumping beats still egging on the people moving with the strobe lights and spotlight bouncing off their sweating bodies on the dance floor just outside.

It took him some time to recover from what had just happened and again he looked down at the coins on plastic seat beside him.

He quickly gathered the change and got up before departing the arcade as well. He had absolutely no desire to play now, and headed towards the large main area following the techno beat and the odor of perspiration.

As empty as the game room was, the dace areas were still packed which made his search for the group he’d come with more than trying. It was close to impossible, that is until he spied the crazy hair spiked straight up with what could only be called a magnificent amount of hair product.

Angelus’s head bounced to the music, not caring what kind of git he made of himself while his body moved with a complete absence of rhythm to the bouncing lights and the bumping bass. Dru and Darla were wrapped up in each other, moving to their very own rhythm in a teasing dance that had most of the male customers stumbling over themselves to get a view of the nearly pornographic display.

Spike settled back into a seat at the bar before motioning the bartender for a beer that appeared like magic a second later. He drank slowly, watching his girl on the floor while his mind puzzled out and replayed the night’s events.

Coming here tonight was supposed to be a treat for the three now shimmying together.

He’d heard about Cypher for months but never had a chance to go. When Dru invited her friends up to visit before she headed back to LA Sunday, it seemed like a good time to grace his patronage on the well known club.

Instead of a great time as a group, it was soon evident that William was once again going to be kept out of the loop where Dru’s friends were concerned. None of them seemed remotely interested in anything else the place had to offer but the booze and the tunes.

So he tried to let them have their fun. Even though Sunnydale was small, this club was on the 10 Best Clubs of the USA list twice in the last 5 years. LA’s best places would have trouble rivaling this one.

And while he’d originally opted to try and find a pool table, the races had been what drew his attention. And now here he was, completely confused and trying to pick out anything that he may have done wrong while trying to see if she had sent any kind of signal or sign to help him figure out how to act next. Or if he should act at all?

God, here we go again.

Another fitful week of dreams, another month of trying to think of an excuse to call.

He shook his head at himself and watched as the trio on the floor continued bouncing and jerking to music that made the bottle in Spike’s beer bottle vibrate in his hand.

At least this time, if he was to be plagued with wet dreams and blackouts from zoning on Buffy fantasies he wouldn’t hear Dru cackling at him for it, she was going to be gone. That much he could be happy about.

What a way to feel about the love of your life.

He chugged a bit more than was usual from the bottle, and ignored the voice in his head.

His mind brought up a picture of Buffy as she had been put together that night. He couldn’t help but leer at the memory of her legs tightly encased within the black denim, a far cry from the loose fit blues she had worn during their semester together.

That tiny halter was cruel and unusual punishment even as he recalled the way it laid against her flat stomach only to be shifted and shaped to conceal the globes of flesh he very badly wished he could taste.

He shifted in his seat to try and give his growing erection the space it now seemed to need and took another long drink from his beer.

He should just let it go. He had a girl, and really didn’t need two. One was trouble enough, in his opinion.

Despite the distance and the fighting, he loved Dru beyond words. Buffy was just a distraction that kept him sane those weeks. She was nice to look at and great to talk to. He was a guy, so of course he was attracted to her. That didn’t mean anything special.

So why can’t I stop thinkin’ about her?

He looked up when the announcement for Last Call rang through the speakers over even the volume of the music, and saw Dru and Darla now rubbing intimately against Angel who had his arms wrapped around both girls and his eyes closed smiling with a pleasured look on his face.

Fucking tosser dropped at least 3 hits tonight it looks like.

Spike just shook his head at them and waited for the music to die down. Angel was obviously tripping on some unperceived drug. Dru and Darla, he guessed, were most likely past 3-sheets-to-the-wind and well on to inventing a whole new level of wasted.

It didn’t really matter. They’d come to him in the end, then they’d be heading out.

They had to, he had the car.

That in mind he set his beer down, a little more than half empty. It would do none of them good if he got them all killed drunk driving, although it would solve his dilemma.

His brain would definitely stop conjuring up visions of Buffy’s slim legs curled around his hips while he thrust into her.

He decided standing would just plain be more comfortable when another rush of blood journeyed south.

And suddenly there was only the sound of static as the last song faded out while all the lights came up. The announcer’s voice told everyone it had been a pleasure to see them before rattling off the next week’s specials and themes.

Closing time.

He felt her coming towards him before he saw her.

Her long hair lay brushing against her pert small mounds, the cleavage exposed deeply from the red sheaf of cloth that hung low and loose across her front. Her black leather pants only served to tempt men with their painted on tightness.

She laid a hand on his cheek, caressing him gently. “You left me, my Spike.” She accused him with a whisper as she brought her lips to his ear. The warmth of her breath tickled him with an erotic chill. “If you want to play games, sweet, I can play games with you.”

He pulled away to look down at her lustily.

She gazed back, a hunger in her eyes that did nothing but help the erection already formed from his musings.

He bit the tip of his tongue in teasing before he lovingly stroked her dark silken hair. “Let’s gather the others, yeah? Have a little sport of our own when we get to my place?”

“Mmm-hmm.’ She curled against him. “Such a clever boy.” She praised him and playfully nibbled at his chin.

~~`~~

Buffy sat cross-legged on her neatly turned down bed typing away at her laptop. She wanted to post her blog about the fun time she had celebrating the end of another semester, of course she completely left out the part about Spike being there or how much she wanted jump in his lap.

No, that little tidbit was missing in the finished product, but that didn’t mean that he wasn’t who she was thinking about the entire time her fingers clicked away at the tiny keys.

When she finished she decided to check emails and call it a day. After all, she really was tired.

And even as she reminded herself of how tired she was her eyes fell on the cell phone sitting right beside her.

It looked so innocent there, taunting her. Yeah, she knew she had his number in there still. Third from the bottom as a matter of fact. Right before Willow if you must know, because he was typed in as William.

Luckily she’d eventually added Willow and Xander both to her ‘Quick Dial’ programming so she rarely had to see his name, but the fact that out of all the numbers she had set on her phone, his was the only one she had memorized didn‘t escape her. And she hadn’t even tried to do it. It was just kinda there, in her head.

Sleep. I need sleep and to worry about the housework I’ve got to catch up on.

She’d been tacking up a mental list of appliances that needed cleaned behind. Also all the windows needed scrubbed plus it had been a good year since she went through the basement.

These were things that she tried to keep in her head to help her forget about him. Not that it worked, but she did try.

Buffy stared at the digital readout of 3:30 on her clock. She shut her laptop then and laid down to attempt sleep. As soon as she closed her eyes, visions of him smiling in the Desoto while he talked about some random topic took over.


She pulled her comforter closer, lumping it so she could curl against it while behind her closed eyes he was leaning across the bench seat and lightly kissing her desperate lips.

Hear heart rate increased as his feather light touches only heightened the flame she’d carried for what felt like an eternity. Even as he began stroking the line of her jaw she was grasping for him, trying to touch any patch of skin her fingers could reach.

Her hand came into contact with his arm and as she pressed her lips more firmly on his. She ran her fingers over his muscled forearms up towards the biceps that his sleeves could barely contain.

As they both began kissing with gentle suckles on each lip lavishly, taking time to taste and nibble the succulent flesh, Buffy felt the warmth building between her thighs.

He was drawn into the feeling of her teasing mouth and when he felt her tongue licking along his lips he swelled further. “Oh, Buffy.” He puffed between kisses.

With a gleeful sigh Buffy allowed him to pull her onto his lap.

She quickly sat straddling his denim thighs and when he pulled her tightly against his chest she responded by wrapping her arms over his shoulders and throwing herself full throttle into the make out session.

Both their mouths were swollen from the obvious praise, yet neither seemed willing to pull away and soon her fingers were tugging his T up so she could stroke his rippling stomach.

The muscles were firm as she laid her palms flat against his abs, massaging them before she let her hands travel up to the tight powerful muscles of his chest. She scraped her nails over his nipples so hear him mumble something, vibrating against her already raw lips.

‘”Mmm.” She moaned into his mouth when she felt his hand cupping her breast. He let his hand roam over her chest of its own volition. First massaging gently then pinching her nipple lightly before soothing any aches with his thumb circling her diamond hard peak pressing harshly against the silk of her black halter.

The feel of the liquid fabric sliding against her needy skin from his ministrations, and his tongue now making a trail from her ear languidly down her neck triggered the first flood of heat now lining her black lace boy shorts.

She began writhing on his lap, her center just painfully few inches away from the hardness she knew he had waiting and ready for her.

Seemingly reading her mind his hand left her begging breast to be replaced my his mouth as he leaned her back for room to bend down and latch onto her through the top she still wore.

She brought one of her hands up to run her fingers though his gelled hair. She found the curly errant hairs at the back of his neck and let her fingers lazily run against his skin, tickling the hairs and encouraging his mouth against her.

A contented sigh escaped her and she allowed herself to simply enjoy the feelings he was causing to build higher every passing minute.

The hand not holding her as she bent back was now teasing the waist of her jeans. She could feel him lingering and didn’t think twice. “Yes, please.” She called out, her hips slowing their fruitless movements.

Her button was freed and she felt the short zip being tugged down just before the hand on her back lowered to her ass and lifted her just enough that the hand trying to reach her mound had the room within the denim to slide his fingers over the warm lace covering her.

As soon as she felt the pressure of his fingers she arched into the welcomed invasion. “Oh god, Spike, please…” She began moving her hips again, willing him to move his digits.

And just when he began kissing her again he pushed the lace aside to trace her lips and spread her wetness along her womanhood. It was the most exquisite thing she could recall ever feeling.

The movement of his tongue teasing hers mirrored the slow rhythm of his fingers stroking her swollen entrance. When she thought nothing could feel any better he found her clit.

At his first contact she jumped. The pure shock that she was being touched so intimately after so long only made the neglected bundle of nerves swell with need and begging for more.

Instinctively she began kissing him harder, teeth scratching when her hormones took over her body completely, now wanting nothing except the release she hadn’t reach by anyone’s effort but her own in nearly 2 years.

“More.” She begged, her own hands now tugging at his belt.

He seemed to understand and brushed his thumb teasingly around her clit while his middle finger slid along her slit spreading her fluids around her shaved pussy. He moved smoothly through her petals and he gave each separate layer slow sensual strokes.

The teasing circles around her swollen nub never slowed or changed until he invaded the entrance to her body.

The moment he sheathed his finger within her, he let his thumb brush against her now throbbing clit. Then her focus wavered and tried to split, but she only felt sensations that reached from her now soaking center to her curled toes.

“Uhn.” She called out unable to actually form words. Her hips movements became purposeful, even determined while her hand pulled him free from his now open trousers and her teeth nipped at his neck.

She couldn‘t get enough of the feel of him, the smell of him or the taste of him. That salty masculine taste that nothing else ever matched. She rode his hand and stroked his thick long cock with her gripping fingers. She allowed herself to savor every tangy inch of his neck and shoulders she could reach with her hungry mouth.

Buffy gasped against his skin as he slid a second finger against the walls of her clenching heat.

Spike continued thrusting into her soft but unyielding hand grunting into her neck and trying very hard to ignore the need for completion.

Having him quite literally in the palm of her hand spurred on her passion, and she could tell by the way he pumped more frantically that he was close as well . She just needed a little bit-

“More.” She breathed against his collar before praising him once again just below his chin with open mouthed kisses.

She quickened the pace of her hand around him and he cried out. “Buffy, Go-o-o-d yes…”

Then a completely different sensation joined the others already threatening to break her when a third finger joined the others inside her sopping engorged passage and began to stroke that secret spot within firmly back and forth.

That was it for her. She couldn’t try to hold back if she wanted to.

Molten heat burst from her womb. It flowed at lightening speed through her now burning veins and spread though her entire body touching every cell inside and out.

Ahhh!” She cried now furiously tugging at his now jerking rod as his spendings shot up and spread over her fingers and hand. Some simply landed onto his stomach, still bare from her early shirt tugging.

She rode out the waves that continued as she watched his seed escaping his still twitching member.

*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*

Her eyes shot open and she sat bolt straight pushing her sweaty hair away from her brow before grabbing the yelping alarm from her side table and slapping the top hard. Lucky for the alarm clock, she managed to hit the OFF button.

That did little to diminish her hatred for the usually helpful friend she’d had since her 12th birthday.

She really couldn’t be mad at it, not for this. She was the one who forgot to turn the daily reminder to greet the new day off for this morning, but the dream was right there with her. The feelings from the abrupt interruption ending her pleasure lingered. She knew her frustrated body was going to have to suffer which in no way inspired her to care about the stupid clock.

Bufy however set the offensive timekeeper back down and instead threw back her covers to feel the cool rush of air against her legs before getting up and padding to the bathroom. She chose to ignore the obvious wetness lingering between her legs.

She flipped on the light, squinting when the bright lights gleamed back, her hands briefly covering her face.

She kept her eyes shut and felt for the sink to turn on the water. When the cool stream started running she cupped her hands and splashed her face hoping to cool the fire still heating her insides enough so that she’d be able to try for more sleep.

When that didn’t seem to help much she opened her now less sensitive eyes and stared back at the now flushed face. With defeat she admitted what she knew would happen earlier. Sleepless nights, intruding fantasies and erotic dreams. “Well, here we go again.”
End Notes:
I've got the basics to the next chapter pretty much done but as I've now put myself in the position to be posting 3 stories at once I can't guarantee a quickness in updates but as I now consider this as yet unfinished story a great form of free therapy the updates shouldn't be too far away.

On a different note, this was my first attempt at anything graphic or NC-17 like so go easy on me in that respect.
Close Encounters by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
I had a bit of fun with this chapter. I hope everyone enjoys the little 'bumps in the road'.
Buffy stared out the window across the isle as the she went around the familiar route to school. The glare of the sun sometimes blinding her, but she didn’t mind.

Her very empty backpack sat on her lap in the crowded bus ready to be filled with her soon to be bought textbooks. She was glad the vacation was almost over, as nice as it was to have free time she always liked having goals to meet. There was just a special energy in trying to reach for a better future that made the sun a little brighter and the sky a little bluer.

Of course that’s how she always felt about classes in the beginning. A month from now when she had 3 tests in the same week she’d be ruing the day she registered.

Still, as the sign came up stating UC Sunnydale she was excited and tugged on the cord indicating to the driver that she wanted to stop.

The forward motion shifted as the bus slowed and she stood using the bar overhead to help her balance. She carried her purse and pack in front of her while she waited for the bus to halt.

Finally she felt it stop. Buffy strode past her fellow passengers before giving the driver a nod and thanking him. She slung the backpack over one shoulder, her purse along with it and headed up the sidewalk that would lead her to the campus bookstore.

Her good mood left as soon as she eyed the parking lot and saw it was more than half full. There was shiny chrome as far as the eye could see. It looked like most of the student body had decided that today was the perfect day to get what they needed for the upcoming lessons.

Even as her now heavy steps continued forth she began to hear the calls of other students. She’d actually forgotten about this. The time when all of the clubs, groups, fraternities and sororities made their presence known.

Some were waving flyers while others were at makeshift booths. All seemed to be trying to stop everyone who happened to be walking by, often shoving one of the flyers and an occasional button into unaware hands.

Looking out over the hysteria, she tried to map out the safest route through the crowded campus. She was a woman with a mission, and scary overexcited tree huggers and fraternity brothers were not going to stop her.

With her head up and her eyes forward she gripped the slings over her shoulder and cut her way past the screaming people along all sides.

She ran into a football player who stopped her long enough to give her a leer. The only day I wear shorts and I’ve got this lug staring at me. She tried to excuse herself and rounded him only to feel a pinch on her ass.

She overlooked the behavior just wanting to get through the mess that was also know as “An atmosphere of higher education.”

Finally she spied the entrance to the bookstore ahead and sighed with relief. There was a break in the crowd and with the glass doors within reach she put her hand out to pull the handle only to be stopped by a man in an orange vest.

“Excuse me Miss, where do you think you’re going?” He gave her a cool grimace.

“To get books?”

He shook his head at her like she was simple minded before pointing down the sidewalk. “You’ll have to get in line like everybody else.”

Buffy turned to see the line starting a few feet away from the entrance to go along the wall of the building, down the sidewalk and disappearing behind some well placed trees and bushes further down.

“You have GOT to be kidding.” Buffy spoke out loud as the man in orange moved back to his spot as traffic control.

Once again deflated, she followed the path of people and found her spot at the end. She was so far away she could no longer even see the front of the building through the green leaves yards in front of her.

With a little huff, she pulled out her iPOD and tuned to her favorite station while she waited for any kind of movement in the line.

The line started extending behind her as the minutes drug by slowly and the greenery drew closer. She was starting to become very familiar with the back of the bald head of the older man in front of her when someone walking towards the back of the line caught her attention.

“Spike.” She called for him without really thinking and pulled the buds from her ears when she saw she’d distracted him.

He looked around swiftly trying to find the source of his name when he noticed her smiling face. He couldn’t help but return it and walk over to her. “Well, well. Seems we had the same brilliant plan.”

She looked around and raised a well manicured brow. “Yeah, you me and the rest of the underclassmen.” She listened to his laughter. It was so strange how such a simple sound only made her warmer in the summer sun.

Not only glad to have someone to talk to, but that she had another chance to simply be around him, she immediately offered him a reason to join her infinite wait.

Looking behind her and seeing a slightly overweight girl with dark wavy hair taking a sip on a diet cola, she stared Spike down and hoped he’d play along for both their sakes.

Uhh, I saved your spot.” She said to him, waiting for him to take the bait.

When he showed no indication of following her line of thought she shed the empty bag from her back and held it out. It was a plain and very basic black backpack so when she added. “Here’s your stuff,” and backed up to give him room to shove between her and baldy it seemed pretty natural.

He caught on when she took the step back and lifted her back to swing it over his own back. “Yeah thanks,” He played along. “Found a parking spot.” He tried to improvise as he moved in front of her.

The girl behind Buffy stopped sucking on her cola long enough to grumble something under her breath and turn her back but there were no other objections to their little masquerade.

He smiled down at her, mouthing thank you.

She gave him a quick nod and started wrapping the wires of her headphones up to stow away the mini music player.

“So,” He struggled for something to say and decided on the mundane. “How’s the que moving.”

Buffy’s “pfft” was his only answer until she saw the amused look on his face. “Well in almost an hour I went from there,” She pointed to the trashcan that sat about 30 students back. “To here.” She pointed to her own feet.

“Ahh.” He said his eyes wide now understanding her first reaction. “Well then I thank you for helping me to avoid an hour of standing in this endless heat.” He said bowing deeply with a change in his accent.

She let out a little snort. “What’s with the bow?”

She shrugged. “Took an entrance drama course over the summer. Didn’t really work out.”

“Do I want to know?”

“You might, but I don’t think I’ll share it right now.” His reply was straight forward before he started over acting again. “I will take the hidden depths of my past to my grave.”

She bit her tongue, holding in her giggles this time and tried her best to keep her comments to herself.

He could see the mirth in her face, but he couldn’t blame her. He was a terrible actor, as he’d so recently been told, repeatedly, until he dropped the useless class. “Well, was just supposed to be something fun to pass the time.”

“I don’t know.” Buffy turned thoughtful. “Dental Hygienists probably do have to act a lot. That much bad breath everyday?” She made an eww face as she remembered his major. “The class might come in handy.”

The line moved bit by bit as they continued talking in the noon sun.

“May be right, but if so then the patients will be sorely disappointed with my talents. Or lack there of.” He admitted chuckling.

It wasn’t hard being around him. Or to be more clear, it wasn’t as difficult as it had been. Each time she saw him, regardless of how she felt, she seemed more acclimated to the intense attraction.

She still couldn’t help but stare at his mouth and wonder how his lips would feel on hers while he spoke. She still got chills at the sound of his laugh and no matter how much she was around him that scent still drove her wild. But all of that could be set aside now, and she could simply enjoy his presence for the most part.

There was no resistance to his charms, just acceptance of it.

“So how’s Xander doing?” Spike recalled the brunette’s closeness to Buffy at the club a few weeks ago and decided that rather than avoid the subject, he might as well tackle it head on.

She was impressed he’d think to ask about her friend and gave him a bright smile when she answered. “He’s doing great. But I think he may have had the better idea with the whole procrastination thing.”

She noticed Spike raise a curious scarred brow so she explained. “He’s planning to pick up his books next week before his first class. I told him he was crazy but-” She motioned around indicating the crowd of people and the line that went on forever. “Observe how my idea worked out. And people think computer geeks are smart?”

Funny, Spike thought, that Xander wouldn’t have brought her and waited in line with her. If he had the chance, Spike would spend every spare moment with her.

He found it amusing that she poked fun at herself. “Well I for one am glad you braved the heat and alumni. Saved me a full hour of standing around.” He said, taking note that they were most defiantly making progress forward, though it was slow.

The conversation continued as they picked subjects that any pair of friends would. Safe topics that, for the most part, kept their mutual attraction under wraps. The number of people ahead of them in line dwindled in the next hour and before either of them had noticed they were next.

As the man in the orange vest from earlier gave them permission to enter the store Buffy looked over the shelves trying to figure out where her books would be found. She quickly saw the Technology section and looked back to Spike.

“I’m over there.” She said nodding her head to the fully stocked shelves.

He looked over her head for a brief glance at the Computer Texts. “Right.” Of course his subject was on the other side of the store. They were about to part ways and he found himself just as disappointed as he had been when he dropped her home that last day of class.

Suddenly an idea struck him. “So how many of those boulder heavy tomes are you getting?”

Buffy thought for a moment. “Well, four classes, two of which are computer oriented.” She considered it before answering. “Probably around six. They love adding workbooks to the tech classes.” She explained and took the book bag he still had in his hands he’d forgotten he was even holding. “Kinda why I need this old baby.”

“Oh?” This might actually work out. “Want a ride back then? Won’t have to lug all that weight around on the bus.” He hoped to entice her.

Buffy nearly bashed her head against the closest wall with frustration before she stopped and carefully composed herself before answering. “Thanks for offering. Really.” The regret in her voice mixed with sincerity nearly had her cringing. “But I’m meeting Willow at 2 at the caf. And it looks like I might even get there on time.”

He kept the smile on his face and shrugged, hoping that for once he could pull out the chops to get through his next statement without sounding like a complete liar. “Sounds great.”

Well done. 8 weeks of Drama class has not been wasted.

With equal indifference Buffy nodded. “Yup.”

He tried to come up with another reason to delay the inevitable separation, but came up empty. “Alright then. Well-”

“Yeah.” Buffy agreed. “Book time.” She sighed knowing what had to be done. “It was good seeing you again, see ya around.”

She grinned at him and it took all the willpower his body owned not to throw her over his shoulder and drag her back with him if only to keep her near. “Yeah. I’ll see you on campus.”

There was some hesitation on her part, but she turned and once again left him to watch her backside. He let himself greedily take in the shapely legs, tanned from the summer. It was most likely going to be the only chance he’d have to see them.

And then it was over like a dream. The other customers in the store suddenly seemed to be everywhere and he realized he was being shoved aside while people tried to get around him.

This shook him awake, reminding him why he was even at the college.

~~`~~

Buffy sipped on her frozen coffee while Willow excitedly spoke about her favorite thing at present. School preparation. “And you have to have plenty of paperclips. Do you know how many of those little suckers I went through last semester?” She asked, though in no way expecting a response as the blonde shook her head no.

“Nearly 150, and that was just for one class. But you have to have a good system to mark pages. It so-o cuts down on the study time.”

There was no doubt Willow was in her element when it came to school, and as far as Buffy was concerned it was one of the red head’s most endearing qualities.

Buffy herself probably wouldn’t have even discovered her own brain and its ability to figure things out if it hadn’t been for her friend’s incessant insistence that Buffy study with her when they were teens. “You have to have a system.” The blonde backed up her oldest friend.

“Exactly.” Willow finally took a sip of her own frothy drink then started on a different note. “So how was your supply run?”

“Mmm.” Buffy pulled her own drink from her mouth and smiled briefly while her mind replayed specific moments from her wait with Spike.

She quickly looked down at her filled backpack and the plastic bag sitting next to it. Her estimate had been a little low. Turns out the Economics class also had a workbook. “I’m set. Thank god for my grant. Nine hundred bucks for 7 books.” She shook her head.

“Ouch.” Willow screwed up her face. “At least you get something back when its time for the book resale.”

“I guess.” She wasn’t too concerned with it. As a full time student and on a part time budget, money was tight but if Uncle Sam was willing to fork out some cash so she could graduate and finally get a job with a 401K then she was happy to spend it. But getting twenty dollars back for a book that cost $150 didn’t seem like something to get overly thrilled about.

Seeing her friend’s reaction, again Willow changed the subject. “Did you have any cutie pies to watch while you were waiting?”

“Just Spike.” Buffy said without thinking.

“Who?” Willow asked genuinely interested.

Buffy tried to hide the fact that she’d had no intention of mentioning the bleached Greek god. “Oh, just some guy I know.” She played off the slip of the tongue casually.

The red head was having none of it. “And? Details, I want details.”

Considering her options, Buffy set her drink on the table and eyed her friend before letting out a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding. “Oh Willow, I’m in so much trouble.” She finally burst out.

And she shared the impossible situation quickly, not leaving anything out. “And then he just shows up again today. It’s like karma or something.”

Confused, Willow simply stared at Buffy and shook her head. “Karma? For what?” She couldn’t imagine what the blonde could have done wrong.

She nodded. “Yeah, for how things went with Riley.”

“But you broke it off with him. You said it was a bad fit.” Willow reminded her.

Buffy slumped back in her seat. “Maybe I should have tried harder or something. I don’t know.” She recalled all the e-mails he sent, phone calls and even the presents he left on her birthday, even though they’d broken up a week prior.

With the gift was a note explaining he’d purchased it before they’d broken up, and that he still wanted her to have it. It probably should have creeped her out, but as clingy as Riley got towards the end she knew none of what happened was malicious. Just a guy in love.

After everything was said and done he was a great guy, just not her great guy.

“You can’t be blamed for lack of Chemistry, Buff. It happens sometimes.” Willow studied the look in her friend’s eyes. She knew that look. It was desperate, mixed with defeat.

“I know. I really do, but Spike’s making me crazy and I can’t seem to get any kind of control when my mind switches to him.” she shook her head. “He’s like a drug or something. One I’ve never even had but I’m already addicted to.” She tried to elaborate.

A sad smile accompanied Willow’s next words. “You just have to keep reminding yourself he has a girlfriend.” Then her face shifted and the smile she gave Buffy next hinted at a little secret. “And anything that goes on up here,” She pointed to her own red head. “Is your business.” She finished with a wink.

“Willow, you brazen hussy you.” Buffy couldn’t help but giggle at her usually reserved friend’s observation.

Across the table Willow smiled back, glad she was able to lighten the mood for her friend a little.

Unfortunately it didn’t last. “It would just figure though. The first guy I meet in forever that I’m attracted to and not only is he years younger, but taken too.”

“It’s a cruel cruel world.” Willow agreed shaking her head.

~~`~~

Spike dropped his bag of groceries on the passenger side seat before shutting his car door and turning the key. Punk music blared from the car as soon as the engine started and the noise pollution was like a comfortable blanket to him.

Throwing the car into reverse he slid out of the parking space with ease and headed home.

He studied the traffic around him before switching lanes on the road. It was a familiar path that he took often so he let his mind again replay the precious moments he had stolen with Buffy.

All at once his car jerked forward, then came to a slamming halt. His newly acquired books flew from the backseat onto the floor and the food he’d just purchased laid spilling onto the floorboards beside him.

His radio still howled uninterrupted as he brought his head up from the steering wheel to look through the cracked windshield of his car. “Bloody fucking hell!!” He growled when he realized what had happened.

The steam rolling up from under his hood along with the damage to the windshield had his heart racing. His baby, his most prized possession had just been abused. The anger boiling up from deep inside caused him to grit his teeth as he slowly extracted himself from the Desoto.

The white minivan now attached to his front bumper had a crumpled rear and the glass from the back window was sprinkled all over the black hood of Spike’s car. As he took this all in he turned to see the red 4x4 that looked like it was trying to take a bite out of the boot.

With a grumble Spike stumbled backwards toward the curb and sat down staring at the sight of his car playing the bologna in a car sandwich.

The drivers of the other vehicles and what he assumed were passengers began to gather around where he sat. The other cars on the street paraded by cautiously as their passengers stared on at the unfortunate accident.

Soon came the familiar sound of police sirens and moments later the fire brigade showed up. EMT’s were the last to arrive and in a shuffle that the police were obviously used to acting out, information was gathered and citations were handed out.

The situation was surreal for Spike. He didn’t quite register when the medical personnel looked him over, asking him if he was hurt. He automatically answered the officer’s questions, giving them insurance information and handing over his license so they could copy down his address.

It may have been hours or mere minutes while the others involved where given the same treatment. But even in his dazed state he registered the words, tow truck.

He glanced back at his beauty and shook his head. The old girl had suffered, but he could already tell that the age and build of his classic had saved her from the damage that would have been done if he owned a lesser vehicle.

When a truck with a wide bed in back showed up and attached the long chain to the car to pull it onto the bed Spike quickly got up. “Hold it there, mate. Have to get some things out of her.”

The bulky dirty looking driver pulled a lever and the chain stopped coiling in the Desoto while Spike grabbed the food that survived the onslaught along with his textbooks. “Alight. Go on and load her up.” He said with more calm than he felt.

After all was said and done, Spike got a card displaying the name of the auto shop his car was being taken to clearly printed out. “Call them as soon as you get a chance.” The tow truck driver advised. “Then you can decide what to do.”

Without having to ask, Spike knew the man was referring to either fixing or totaling out the damage to the car. He nodded though and turned to walk towards his house. Luckily, if you could call anything about the situation lucky, the accident had occurred just at the entrance to his housing addition.

He was nearly home when something occurred to him and a small smile spread. If he had to sacrifice the use of his vehicle for a time, maybe there would be a bright side.

Still juggling his books and the slightly torn bag of groceries Spike felt a renewed energy as he headed home, hoping beyond hope that he would be able to find the bus routes on the internet before class started Monday. And if he really lucked out maybe his path would cross Buffy’s.
End Notes:
Ahh the joys of life. The line at the bookstore and the car accident are both directly pulled form my real life so I really hope I got the feel correct on both counts. I will be updating Deserving and Akoshta on Friday but due to a tiny block on this story, do not look for further updates until Tuesday next. Thank you again to everyone who takes the time to let me know what you think. You make me want to try harder and I appriciate the challenge. Kisses to all!!
*** Special thanks to both cordykitten and on for reminding me to switch this up to a Spike/Other warning. But there wont be one single icky Spike/Dru sex scene (cuz its just wrong and I can't stomach it) so please don't be put off by the story.
Supply and Demand by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
I did kinda struggle with this one. My muse was out for ice cream I think but happily I've gotten a good start on the next chapter so all should be well.
“It’s highway robbery! That’s what it is!” Spike shook printed papers in his hand. “Has to be illegal.” He added and again looked over the detailed description of all the parts and labor that would be involved in healing his wounded love.

Charles Gunn drove back towards Spike’s home and felt bad for the guy. If there was one thing the two had in common it was a deep affection for their modes of transportation. Gunn’s truck was his rock, his foundation and an extension of himself that some might find odd.

“And they have to special order the grill.” Spike was still pointing out the injustice of the world while sitting on the passenger‘s side of his friend‘s truck. “How can they get away with it?”

“Supply and demand, man. They’ve got the supplies and you demand to get your car back.” He explained shrugging. “Besides, you’re insured. Once you get past the deductible you’ll be good to go.”

“But it’s going to take 2 bloody weeks to get her running.” He grumbled and crumpled the printed estimate into a ball before throwing the offensive pages to the floor.

“Now, I know you are planning to pick that up.” Gunn was eyeing the angry man beside him.

With a lazy nod Spike agreed. “Yeah, I will. But I’m not touching it till we get near a waste bin. I can’t look at the thing anymore.”

“Alright. I guess I can live with that all things considered.” Deciding that letting his friend get what satisfaction he could out of the situation. Still, seeing Spike in this kind of mood was wacked. He was usually so collected.

Well no, he was calm and collected until something riled him up, but that happened so rarely that this side of his pal was strange to see. “At least you know she can be fixed. That’s something.”

“Yeah, I suppose if you feel like looking on the bright side.”

“There you go. Before you-” He was cut off.

Spike glared at Gunn. “In case you haven’t noticed. I’m not really in a cup-half-full sort of mood right now Charlie.”

At that Gunn decided his silence might be the most helpful thing he could give.

There was no music playing. Just the sounds of other cars passing by, and the hum of the truck’s engine as they traveled.

He was being an ass, and he knew it but Spike hardly cared. For one he knew Gunn wouldn’t hold it against him and for another he felt like someone had cut off his feet. Sure he could still get around but it was inconvenient to have to ask for rides to go anyplace.

He liked having his independence and with the absence of a reliable mode of transport he felt he had lost that. Still, Spike did have a friend willing to drag him all over town. “Thanks for the lift over to the shop, mate. Just need to get home and have a few beers to ease the pain is all.”

“I gotcha.” Gunn turned into Spike’s neighborhood. “What about school?”

With a heavy sigh Spike closed his eyes before answering. “I think I’ve got it handled.”

~~`~~

It was another cloudless day with only a hint of a breeze when Buffy walked out of her first class of the new school year. She carried her text and notebook against her chest and headed for the bus stop across campus listening to the chatter of the others as they moved on to their next class or on to their cars.

She smiled and waved at a few familiar people as she walked through the quad. Some she could recall from previous semesters and others she’d met through friends and couldn’t for the life of her remember their name.

It was such a pleasant day she couldn’t help but be in a good mood. The high that came with starting up a new course load was carrying her along towards the marker for her stop.

With a glance at her watch showing that her ride would be there any minute she took a seat on the wood bench placed there for the students who relied on the public transportation system.

She occupied herself with watching cars drive in and out of the campus, peeking inside to see if she knew the drivers or not.

Before long she could hear the diesel engine rumbling towards her so she gathered her books in her arms again and took a few steps forward to wait for the doors of the beast to open and allow her entrance.

She got a look at the bus driver and smiled when she recognized the friendly man behind the wheel. She was just preparing to give him her usual greeting when the doors opened and out walked someone she never could have expected.

“’Lo Buffy.” Spike flashed his warm smile at her and stepped down from the steps of the bus.

Her feet felt glued to her spot as she stared at him, completely unprepared to see him, and here of all places. “Spike?” Her eyes bounced from his face to the bus and back again while a few others filed down the steps. “What are you doing?” Her voice was accusing, although she couldn’t guess why.

He was taken back by her tone but brushed it off. “Was going to class.”

She shook her head still trying to clear her mind. “No, I mean why are you here? On the bus?”

A mist came to his eyes when he answered. “Car’s been busted up. ‘M relegated to finding’ my own way for a few weeks till she’s patched up.”

“Oh jeez, I’m sorry.” She told him sincerely.

He smiled back. “S’all right.” He shrugged.

The people who wanted to depart the bus had and the bus driver was holding the door. “Are you going to be riding with us today, sweetie? Or are you just going to flirt with the boys?”

Her face flushed as she stared back at Lorne, the driver.

“I-I better go. See ya.” She dashed onto the bus so fast Spike was left not quite knowing what had happened. And as the engine growled again the bus pulled away leaving him to wonder what made her run.

The doors were pulled shut behind her and Buffy slid her frequent rider’s pass through the scanner before slipping it into her back pocket. Her books were set on the small shelf behind the driver’s seat of the otherwise empty bus.

Today however, Buffy didn’t take a seat. Instead she stood just behind the yellow line as were the rules. “Well sweet cakes, how was the first day?” The friendly driver asked.

She glowered at him. “It was great till you opened your big mouth.”

With a knowing grin spread on his face Lorne kept his hands on the larger than average steering wheel. “Oh come on, honey. I was only teasing you a little. Besides, I can’t really blame you, he’s a hunk of manly man.”

“More like a hunk of a boyly boy.” She rolled her eyes at her bad joke.

Lorne’s chuckle echoed in the empty bus. “Honey, I don’t know what your requirements for ‘man’ are but that was definitely NOT a boy.”

The bumps of the road caused Buffy to grip the bar overhead to steady herself and gave her a chance to mull over the flamboyant man’s words.

She couldn’t deny that in no way did Spike appear boy-ish. Too much about him screamed to the woman she was that he was most assuredly man shaped. But she just couldn’t reconcile that fact with her eyes ability to gauge she’d seen ten years of life more than Spike had.

She stared out the windshield of the vehicle as Lorne slowed for a woman with a small cart to carry her groceries. Buffy stepped aside as the older woman rolled through the isle just wide enough for the handy trolley.

The grey haired woman settled herself into the first seat and held onto the handle of her cart as Lorne once again headed forward on his route.

Thinking and talking about Spike had taken some of the lightness from her mood and the driver could sense it. “What is it Buffy?

With a heavy breath Buffy decided it couldn’t hurt to get some advice from the friend she’d made over the years of travel. “Lorne, even if there wasn’t probably 10 years difference between us, he’s got this girlfriend. I mean, she’s never here and every time he talks about her its always about some new problem but-” she cut herself off and just looked up at the ceiling before muddling through the rest. “If he wasn’t so sweet and friendly and easy to talk to-”

“You’re forgetting edible.” Lorne added with a knowing look. “Sounds to me like you’ve already decided against the hot pursuit though.”

The grey haired woman, nameless as she was, threw in her two cents as well. “And best she should. A woman has no place coming between a relationship.”

Buffy’s head whipped around to face the accusing elderly lady. There was no malice in the wrinkled face, just wisdom from years so Buffy faced ahead again.

One thing that did bother her about public transportation, it was sometimes a little too public. People inevitably decided that all conversations were up for grabs. Buffy had grown used to it quite some time ago, but it still aggravated her a little. “No, I’ve known him awhile now and managed to do the right thing. It’s just a good thing we don’t see each other much.”

~~`~~

Two days later Buffy found herself sitting at a computer desk to the left of all the students in an intro to micro computing class. She’d gotten lucky with an internship alongside her favorite computer science professor, and the one that had convinced her to pursue her love of computer innards.

Professor Winifred ‘Fred’ Burkle was an energetic woman, the type most people were drawn too simply because of her personality. She loved her job and most of all she enjoyed sharing her obsession with all things related to technology. This not only made the required class easy to bear but interesting.

Buffy listened as Fred went over the syllabus with the class. There were some groans and mild complaints about the heavy course load but because for many of the student this would be their only computer course, Fred was very thorough. “Now I know it sounds like a lot of work, and I won’t lie to ya’, it is, but by the time you leave this class I guarantee you’ll have a very good rudimentary knowledge of how computers, software, networks and media streaming works.”

She’d heard the speech before, but it was a very true promise. Even those who barely scraped by would glean the basics rather they wanted to or not.

Buffy continued setting up the demonstration for the projector hooked up to her laptop while the professor skimmed over the first chapter that would be assigned reading.

When she completed the “Introduction to Hardware” review she smiled at Buffy. “Ms. Summers, could you please bring up the PowerPoint?”

With a click of her mouse a graphic representation of a computer tower, with the sliding side removed, appeared and Fred began to address the class again. She pointed out the devices that allowed a computer to work while explaining their specific duties to the system.

Both women studied the faces of the students while Fred named the components within the technological miracle. Some of the people taking the class looked very confused, others seemed to understand while a couple were just plain bored, obviously already familiar with the information.

Time went by quickly to Buffy, and before she knew it, Fred was offering help to anyone not familiar with the subject while dismissing the class for the day.

As most of the students gathered their things and left a few stragglers stayed behind. Most went to the Ms. Burkle, but one headed for Buffy.

“He-ey, Buffy.” The man smiled and strode towards her confidently.

She had recognized him earlier from her first math course and so she shone him her usual smile as she stood to greet him. “Hi Gunn, I’m surprised to see you here. Shouldn’t you have taken this class your first semester?”

With a chuckle he nodded. “Yeah but I’m a firm believer that the only thing that should involve processors, is my stereo so I procrastinated.”

She shared his laugh. “In other words you were playing Mr. Avoidy and the advisor told you to sign up?”

“You caught me.” He admitted.

“Well don’t worry. Fred is great and if you have any trouble you know who to call.”

He went quiet for a second and shifted the books in his hand. “Well, maybe we can meet up then, because honestly, I didn’t understand half of the introduction.”

Nodding, Buffy looked up at the clock. “Well I have bout 2 hours before my class starts, if your free now?”

“Really?” His chocolate eyes were positively gleeful. “I might have a chance at passing the class after all.”

She clicked the computer, setting it to sleep and locking it from interlopers while she answered. “Yeah, let me make sure Fred doesn’t need me anymore today, then we can head to the caf.”

~~`~~

Spike listened to the ringing of the phone through the receiver, fully expecting to leave yet another message on Dru’s machine when finally someone picked up. “Yeah?” the annoyed voice called out.

Spike was momentarily stunned at the sound of the unfamiliar male voice. “Uh, yeah, Dru there?”

There was a clanking as the phone was obviously set down on a table so Spike waited and listened to what he could over the open line. He could hear the heavy thud of footsteps. Male footsteps, as they got further away.

“I don’t know who it is.” Followed by. “Fine.” The words also coming from out of the living room Dru’s phone sat. Soon after, the thudding steps drew louder just before the phone was clumsily picked up again.

“Sorry man, she’s not here.” The man said flatly.

Spike took his phone from his ear and stared at it even more confused than before. Cursing under his breath he once again brought the phone to his ear. “When she gets back,” He said nearly seething. “Let ‘er know Spike called.”

“Pike?” The voice asked.

“No, mate. Spike. There’s a bloody S at the beginning!”

“Yeah sure.” and the line went dead.

Dumbfounded, Spike stared at his open books beside him. He’d started on the reading for class but now he was in no mood to do the required reading. In fact the last thing he wanted to do was stay put, but currently having no vehicle, he was stuck.

He closed his mobile before the need to rip it in half took over and stared across at the blank screen of the television.

Emasculated and feeling dejected, he decided on a course of action. If all else failed in life he could throw in a good game on his gaming system and pretend to pummel things. So that’s what he did.

An hour later and countless kills later on his favorite hand to hand combat simulation he still felt boiling over. There was simply no excuse for Dru’s disappearing act. And having strange men blow him off was even worse.

He glared at his cell phone, that unfamiliar voice echoing in his head. “Bloody bitch.” He told his phone while his mind came up with reasons any man would be at her apartment.

Now growling, he snatched the phone up fully prepared to break it in his hands when the techno ring sounded and Dru was clearly displayed on the caller ID.

Anxiety filled him as he quickly answered. “Dru?”

“Of course my prince.” She cooed softly. “Have you missed princess?”

As quickly as it had come, his anger faded with the sound of her voice. “Of course I have sweetheart. Where have you been?”

He heard light laughter come from her. “Why, to gather treats for the party of course.”

Now he was confused again. “Party?”

“Of course.”

“What are we celebrating, my sweet?”

“Your homecoming of course. This weekend.”

He shook his head, despite her inability to see him. “Luv, I’ve already told you I won’t be able to visit this weekend. The car, pet. It’s in the shop. Remember?”

“Oh yes, I know. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have my party.” Her happy voice began to aggravate him.

“Bit pointless to have a homecoming if no one is coming home though, isn’t it?” He asked before adding. “I thought you’d like to come back here again. You and I, alone for two days wearing nothing but bed sheets.” He purred at her with a lusty twinkle in his eyes.

She whimpered. “But I’ve already invited everyone, the plans were made before you decided not to visit your princess.”

Now the anger was beginning again. “I didn’t decide, the accident decided for me.”

She didn’t seem to even hear his words. “I’ve already gotten the party favors and cakes. Oh, and lovely streamers. The will drip like blood all around. It’ll be a sight.”

“But luv,” He began again only to hear her go on.

“It will be a shame. I suppose you will have to wait for your surprise.”

Closing his eyes in hopes of composing himself, Spike took a cleansing breath. He rubbed his face, now aggravated but knew her mind was made up. “S’all right. You enjoy your friends. You can give me my surprise another week, yeah?”

“Sweet Spike. You’re always so good to me.” Dru purred before the line went dead.

Eyes shut as he layback against the worn cushions of his couch Spike tried to keep his rage at bay. Something was going on in LA, something he had no way to stop or get proof of, all because his bloody car was damaged, probably in pieces on some dingy floor.

She was throwing a party, knowing Dru that meant lots of booze. And she mentioned party favors. That meant an array drugs along with paraphernalia. And she probably did go out and buy a soddin cake.

So maybe he was glad he wasn’t going to be there, but who was the man that belonged to the voice. It sounded pretty far from the living room. Too far to be the kitchen. If he had to guess he’d bet on the bedroom, but why would some man be in Dru’s bedroom when she was out.

And if she wasn’t out, there was only one reason his mind could consider that a man would be in her room. And he didn’t like it. In fact he despised that thought nearly enough to call Gunn and ask for a ride to LA. He’d offer him a hundred dollars, two if he had to.

He picked up the controller again and started another game, this time slaughtering any opponent with a viciousness that was causing the molded plastic in his hands to creak and crack as he put all his pent up anger into the press of the buttons and the manipulation of the joystick.

He moved his hand and fingers as quickly as he could, yelling at the unfortunate foe to “Die you fucker!!” and “That’s right, take it! Take it!”

Three rounds later he felt marginally better and had broken the controller clean in half.

~~`~~

It was comfy time for Buffy. After a hard day of classes and interning along with a little tutoring she’d earned the cotton shorts and tank top not to mention her piggy faced slippers. All very important items for studying.

Studying was exactly what she was set up for with books laying across the coffee table as she lounged against the couch. She had the syllabus laying out beside her with her notebook loosely held on one hand.

Unfortunately very little studying was getting done, as her other hand held her cordless phone to her ear. Her laughter echoed against the walls of the otherwise empty house. “I know. The reading is impossible. One second they are explaining ideas with words like Econometrics and the next thing its all about Suzie and how to sell five apples.” Buffy again scanned her notes. “I can’t tell if I’m in third grade math or Econ 101.”

Gunn was glad to be able to help. In fact he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things seemed to be working out great and he almost hated to jinx his run of luck… almost. “Well then it’s a deal. You help me figure out the difference between a monitor and a power cord, I’ll explain Opportunity Cost. Maybe we can meet up tomorrow, around 7?” And he wasn’t sure if he wanted her to notice it was dinner time, perfect date time, or not.

Without missing a beat, but entirely missing the implications, Buffy answered. “Alright, but do you think you could pick me up from school. I’ve got class till 6:45, and I’m gonna be starving. We could eat, and consume knowledge.” She said it with such a cheeriness, not at all realizing that she’d added to one of the most oddly perfect days Charles Gunn had ever had.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Gunn had this nagging feeling things were going entirely too easily. “Yeah that works out fine with me. I’ll just see you after class then?” He half expected her to tell him it was all a joke and he was on his own. As a matter of fact, she wouldn’t want to spend any more time around him than she had to.

“Great.” She smiled, now looking forward to seeing Gunn but knowing she really needed to get some of her class work done. With a sigh she decided she better cut the call short. “I guess if you’re going to help me out, I probably better take another shot at the reading.”

“Good idea.” She heard him agree.

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See ya.”

She smiled at no one and hung up the phone. Buffy was pretty sure she noticed a little something extra in Gunn’s friendship. The call started about a RAM question and ended with him offering a trade for regular tutoring that somehow ended up as a dinner which seemed more date-shaped than study-shaped.

“And so what if it is a date?” She again addressed the no one in the room with her. “He’s a smart guy, good looking, great for talking to…” She smiled as the list of qualities ran through her mind.

No, having a date with Gunn could be good. She’d done the single thing for a good long while. Her schooling was in a strong place. Maybe it was time to try the guy thing again. Even more important, having a man like Gunn interested made the decision that much easier. She’d just have to see how he acted and see if his intentions really are more than just ‘friendly’ before she got too excited.
End Notes:
By popular demand, someone for Buffy to hang out with while Spike deals with that crazy bitca.
LA Woman by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
There are a couple of pretty good spots in this one. I think the challenge was to move the story along and capture a feeling of dread. Fun times :D
A routine was set for the alumni of U.C. Sunnydale. Each student became acclimated to their schedule and like all the other’s Buffy found herself expecting certain things to happen.

On Monday she would run into Spike as she got onto the bus. There would be an exchange of greetings and smiles sometimes finished off with “Have a good day.” or “See you later.” This was quickly followed by Lorne sharing his opinion on Spike.

Tuesday was another day at school interning and usually lunch with Willow, class time and then dinner and study with Gunn. Wednesday and Thursday followed the same pattern although sometimes it was Willow and Oz, and sometimes Xander for lunch.

When Friday rolled around everyone including Gunn would gather around in the designated home of the night for movies and random discussions that would pop up when in a crowd of people all attending college. Any subject one of the friends was currently studying was game.

Still it was a good routine, and one that seemed to work out for everyone. And as it was Friday all were gathered at Casa de Summers, bowls of popcorn sitting on tables and laps. Xander had planted himself on the floor while Oz occupied the lone chair with Willow curled on his lap. Gunn and Buffy took the couch, his arm laid along the back.

Buffy was leaning against his arm and really enjoying the relaxation time. As much as she liked having her own place and her own life, being alone all the time was still difficult for her to adjust to. It was nice to see her family room full with laughter and jokes.

Yup, this was the life.

“Don’t forget I’m out of town for the weekend.” Gunn reminded Buffy casually.

“You’re what?” She had forgotten. “Out of town?”

He turned in his seat facing her. “Yeah, LA with my friend, remember?”

“Oh yeah. You’re playing chaperone. I remember.” She wanted to pout a little but after a few weeks with him, Buffy knew Gun was just being a good friend. And from what Gunn had shared, a good friend was needed. “I just feel bad for the guy. I hope he’s wrong about the girlfriend.”

The topic of recent discussions had been about the best way Gunn could help his friend, who had remained nameless to protect the innocent.

Buffy knew just about every detail of the drama known as Spike and Dru without knowing Spike or Dru. Or so Gunn thought.

Buffy of course had no idea Spike was the boyfriend hoping to disprove his instincts about a meandering girlfriend. She just knew that Gunn was going to be MIA for two days leaving her to do just one thing, clean the house until she forced herself to study.

Gunn shrugged. He’d done just about all he could do. He even hung out with the scary pair when Dru came down a week ago. Honestly the woman creeped him out, but Spike was completely sucked in by whatever Dru did or said.

That weekend Spike hadn’t said a word about Dru’s possible infidelity. He was mesmerized in her presence. Unfortunately that left as soon as she did.

So this weekend the boys were taking a road trip, unannounced. Dru let it slip she was throwing another party, and now Spike had his car back. All he needed was his wingman, and he would be ready to fight or be welcomed, all depending on what he walked in on.

And the wingman was happy to oblige. Partly because he wanted to know what was going on almost as much as Spike did, but mostly because he knew that if Spike walked in on something bad there was bound to be a fight. Gunn wasn’t going to leave him alone with that.

He stroked Buffy’s hair lightly, smiling at the sweet woman who might be missing him while he was gone and still couldn’t believe his incredible luck. “I should be back by Sunday afternoon, maybe night. It all hangs on what happens.”

She smiled back. He was easy to be with, there was rarely a disagreement and he let her go on about whatever she felt like talking about even though she knew he was bored. He was just a really sweet man. And for the life of her she couldn’t figure out why there was something missing. Some spark when they kissed, that extra string of warmth when she heard his voice.

Some kind of sign.

“Well give me a call when you get back to town if you want. I’ll probably just be here, or tucked in bed for the sleeping.”

He leaned forward and kissed her lips softly. “Maybe I can come by and tuck you in?”

And there were moments like that. Just playful flirting and teasing mostly. Comments that she could answer with a joke or a silly twist in words that would let him blow it off as silliness. Or she could do the opposite and give him the open door to walk through. One of those invisible lines to cross.

“Talk is cheap Mr. Gunn.” She went with option number one. “Besides, you know Mr. Gordo would get mad at you for trying to take his job.”

He didn’t show the slight disappointment. They’d been playing this game the last few days. “Foiled by a pig. What will all the other guys think?”

“Don’t worry.” Xander cut in, mouth half full of popcorn. “We’ll respect you to your face. The mocking’s always done in private.”

“That’s a comfort.” Gunn’s sarcasm was lost on no one.

~~`~~


Gunn tossed his bag in the backseat of the Desoto before settling himself in the passenger seat. “We set, man?” He shut the door and buckled in. Spike could get a little speed crazy when it came to highway driving.

“You bring a change of clothes in case this turns into an overnighter?”

The car lurched forward the instant after the belt latched across his chest. Gunn held onto the door handle as Spike turned a sharp right heading for the nearest exit that would take them to LA. “Yeah. But we need to get this taken care of before tomorrow night.”

All the sudden the serious look on Spike’s face fell away to amusement. “Yeah, I have a class Monday afternoon and I’m only half through the reading.” He kept right as the road eased into the overpass now settling in for the long boring part of the drive at a hefty 85m/h.

Gunn double checked his seatbelt and watched the city fade away to desert. It was going to be a long drive.

And it was long. Spike was quiet and for some reason he didn’t touch the radio. That left Gunn to either break the silence or let his pal keep to his thoughts. And since Gunn could guess what some of the thoughts of the possibly cheating Dru might be, once again he went with keeping quiet.

That whole first hour was spent looking for signs and reading them. Doing the math to see how far they’d come. Watching the desert switch from smooth gray to bright green then to rocky dryness. It was a strange sight as they passed by random homes and small neighborhoods that dotted the landscape.

California was an oddity with blue a ocean against the dry deserts amongst forced greenery. Small suburbs and great cities seemed to sprout from nothing as they drove along.

Then Suddenly Spike spoke, breaking Gunn’s count of red cars that they passed.

“Sorry I haven’t been around much lately.”

It wasn’t what he expected. Quite frankly Gunn hadn’t noticed anything unusual. But these days he spent so much time with Buffy he hadn’t seen the very real absence of his friend. “It’s alright. Been pretty busy myself.”

The blonde nodded. “Well between school, the car and Dru’s antics I’ve just been no good for company.” He couldn’t help but sneer when he thought about Dru.

The last week really had been hell. Ever since she left something was off. Sure, she still hardly ever took his calls, but when she did it seemed she was never alone. And it was no longer just one voice, but a crowd of voices he would hear. He was getting worried.

Although much of his concern still rested on her fidelity there was another nagging worry that had settled in. He was concerned for her. He didn’t like the sounds of the people she seemed to surround herself with. He knew she liked her occasional highs and drinking, but if he was right, she was living in a haze.

The fact that she never seemed to know what day it was when they spoke was another clue. They seemed to have a repeat of the same conversation about his car nearly every call both before and after she‘d last seen him. Then when she finally caught up with reality she would skip off onto a tangent about her last trip to Sunnydale.

He didn’t like any of it.

“I shoulda made her move with me.” Spike whispered to himself more than anything else. His voice was solemn and sad laced with guilt. The emotions inside were leaking out one at a time.

Gunn huffed. “I may not know Dru as well as you, but something tells me no one makes that girl do anything she doesn’t want.”

He started to notice the changing colors of the sky as the sun began to lower. The sky’s watercolor orange and pink was fading to the plum and azure of night and it had all happened while Gunn stared out into the world, yet he missed the subtle switch from day to night.

Spike missed the entire show as he ground his teeth together. Flashes of the same scenarios his mind had ample time to conjure were flying by. Some had Dru held down by a shadow of a man while another captured her passed out in an ally, overdosed and half dead. “She’s too pliable to take care of herself.” He hissed now suddenly angry again.

Another few moments of silence after Spike’s declaration passed while a new set of lights came into sight. LA was ahead, and so was the woman that had been driving Charles’s friend crazy. One way or the other, things would be resolved.

He thought Spike would slow down or make some kind of announcement as to their next move, but instead he drove steadily on. Apparently he was going straight for Dru’s apartment, there would be no passing Go or landing on Free Parking.

In fact when Spike finally slowed down and pulled into a parking garage Gunn noticed how unfree the parking would be. His friend didn’t even scoff at the charge as he took his ticket from the automated vending machine and drove into a space that could accommodate the large vehicle.

Spike withdrew the key and pulled a packet of cigarettes from inside his duster.

Charles stared at him. “Since when do you smoke?”

The look on Spike’s face was unrecognizable, as though an entity had taken over his good friend’s body. There was an emptiness in his eyes and with the square clutched between his lips as he sucked in a breath to light the end. Charles saw, probably for the first time, the man who’d earned the name Spike.

With a flick of his wrist, the silver Zippo clicked shut in Spike’s hand. He took a long soothing drag before he closed his eyes, relishing the feeling of the nicotine invading his lungs. As he exhaled he turned to the still shocked dark face staring back at him. “This is LA mate. The rules change in the city of angels.”

That seemed to be explanation enough to the blonde as he dropped his smokes and lighter back inside his pocket and got out of the car.

Charles sat in his seat for a good 5 seconds trying to decide if going along was such a good plan after all. He didn’t think Spike would get him into any kind of trouble they couldn’t get out of, but then again he wasn’t so sure that was Spike was in there anymore.

Gunn looked behind him through the rear of the car to see the blonde man patiently smoking and waiting. He didn’t seemed worried, but Gunn didn’t know if that was a good sign or a bad one considering Spike’s sudden mood change, or personality shift. Whatever it was.

“There’s nothing to decide.” He finally told himself and stepped out of the car. The sound of the latch echoing into a feint hush. The entire setting seemed ominous and eerie in the dim lighting of the garage.

Spike was eying the reluctant man as he came around to the rear of the car. “You don’t have to go, you know.” He wanted to give his friend an out. Best case scenario, Dru would be happily surprised and they’d have a great time visiting. Worst case would be, well, much, much worse and may involve the police later depending on how hard Spike hit the guy.

“I’m here aren’t I?” Charles asked trying to sound offended at the implication.

“Alright then.” Spike tossed down his smoke and stomped it out before heading forward.

Gunn followed him, having no idea where they were going.

They left the garage quickly and walked swiftly along the empty sidewalks. The entire city was unfamiliar to Gunn so he tried to remember street names and landmarks just in case they were in need of a quick getaway. Luckily they only traveled a few blocks before the two men stopped outside a brick building that to him, looked just like the others.

Spike looked up past the windows and back at the door. There was just one small kink in his plan. “Got to wait for someone to come out or go in.”

“What?” Gunn pulled on the door only to find it locked.

“Security here is crap. You have to be buzzed in.”

Gunn quickly caught on. “And you can’t have Dru buzz ya or she’ll know you’re here.”

“You’re smarter than you look Charlie boy. Don’t let anyone tell you different.”

Unimpressed, Gunn only shook his head and pushed the leather clad annoyance out of the way. “Watch and learn.” He said and looked over the names listed beside the small buttons to announce one’s presence.

With a little chuckle and a smile he pressed one of the buttons, let it buzz and let go waiting, only looking back to nod assuredly at Spike.

“Ahem, Y-yes? Hello?” A woman’s voice sounded, obviously startled by the buzzer.

Gunn cleared his throat. “Yeah, I’ve got a delivery for Anderson, apartment 6F.”

There was a high pitched squeak coming through the small speaker that nearly took the enamel off his teeth before the woman’s voice answerd again. “This is 5F. And my name’s not Anderson either.”

“I know Miss, but they can’t buzz me in, so we were hoping you could.”

“Oh!” She sounded so relieved. “Ok, sure.”

“Thanks, Miss.”

“Sure. No problemo.” she giggled and the speaker went dead as the loud buzzing and a click sounded indicating they could get through the now unlocked door.

Gunn waggled his brows and pulled the door.

Wondering how Gunn had done it, Spike took a look at the list and nearly laughed out loud ant the nametag for 5F.

There, clearly written in bright purple ink in what was obviously lady’s handwriting was the name Harmony, apparently she didn‘t have or need a last name. It was decorated with tiny heart stickers and hand drawn pink and red smiley faces. The woman was an obvious brain trust.

He walked into the hallway with Gunn right behind. Spike contemplated taking the stairs but opted for the lift. He stepped inside the box and pressed the 4 before glaring at the sign over the doors that counted off the floors as the men ascended.

The thumping of Spike’s heart seemed to be taking place just behind his ears as the blood rushed through his system. Adrenaline was fueling him and allowing him some control over his body while his mind was again continuing with the pictures displaying Drusilla in numerous precarious positions. A knot in his gut that had been tightening the last 3 weeks was now taught.

When the doors of the lift opened on her floor, Spike expected some kind of giant sign or a red flag marking her door as either good or evil. But the hallway was as simple and empty as it ever was. The small cracks in the off white plaster were unchanged as was the blinking light halfway down the hall that never did seem to work off a steady stream of power.

So he strode to the third door on the right and stood there, Gunn still just behind him, and rubbed the palms of his hands against his jeans. He was now nervous, and not just nervous, he was scared to death. “Bugger.” He said under his breath at the same time he heard a giggling.

His head shot up and that empty look came back when after another giggle came a man’s voice chuckling followed by quickly paced footsteps and another man’s voice. More voices were joining and now that he really paid attention he could hear low music as well.

Maybe the party was just getting started. It was still pretty quiet, but there was definitely more than just one man inside with his Dru. Maybe she wasn’t cheating.

There was a fleeting feeling of hope in his chest just before he tested the door. Even the loud thumping of his heart seemed to settle down. He turned the knob, glad to find it unlocked and slowly let the door fall open.

What he saw was nothing he’d imagined. It was nothing he’d even considered and yet it was right there laying in front of him, and sitting in front of him.

“Well, shit.” Slipped from Gunn’s lips. At the moment it was the only thing his paralyzed mind could come up with.

The dark entryway to Dru’s home would have been an erotic and stimulating sight to behold if it weren’t for the circumstances. The candles flickering on tables drew shadows on the walls that moved in rhythm with the bodies strewn about on the floor, chairs, a table and the long plush couch.

The quick breaths coming from the orgy’s participants were breathy and quiet but clearly heard even over the sporadic moans and barely audible grunting. The light from the candles gave their skin an unearthly orange hue that glimmered from sheens of sweat

There were blankets and pillows that lay under the grunting and sighing forms on the floor. Both women sliding their bodies along the man apparently on the brink of orgasm while a third woman was blowing him as she leaned between his thighs.

One man sat on a chair gripping himself as he enjoyed the show while another man and another woman were openly screwing on the couch, her on top bouncing like there was a rodeo in town.

Another woman was sitting atop a table, coincidentally the usual dining spot of the resident of the apartment. Her legs were spread wide while two men took turns fingering her and eating her out.

The entire scene was an onslaught and the odor of sex and candle wax mixed with other sweet and smoky scents of smokable drugs had both of the newcomer’s minds swimming.

Gunn was flabbergasted, and judging from the amazing interpretation of a statue Spike was doing, he had not been prepared for this particular moment. What was odd was that no one seemed to notice the open door. The entire orgy seemed quite occupied. Even the man jacking off alone didn’t take his eyes from the floor.

Everything was frozen right up until the moment the woman handing out head on the floor made a soft whimper. That woke up Spike before anyone could prepare. “What the fucking hell is going on here?!?!”

Charles decided that pointing out that was possibly the dumbest question ever asked was a bad idea. Instead he stood beside Spike and waited for the reaction. What happened next shocked him nearly as much as the picture in front of him.

It was the woman lying between the curved legs of a euphoric man relaxing on the floor. It was she who had made the soft sound, and it was she who turned her head to answer Spike. “My silly prince,” She smiled at him and licked her lips. “You’ve gone and ruined the surprise.”

It had happened in an instant. Every fiber of Spike’s body was shaking with rage. Even Gunn took half a step back, somehow worried that Spike could literally explode.

Spike couldn’t move though. He knew that if he did that no one in Dru’s apartment was safe, least of all Dru.

Every wrong she had committed on him, every harsh word, every unanswered call, every single thought he’d had of her seemed to ram into his memory at once. He glared down at her naked body still planted below another man‘s groin. He paid no attention to the others in the room. They didn’t matter.

His focus belonged to Dru. His fury belonged to her, his heart belonged to her. And Gunn was right, he was going to blow. He was going to explode in such gargantuan proportions that his frame couldn’t accommodate it.

“You fu- hore- mother fucking-” The words were there but they sputtered out with such a lack of eloquence Gunn wasn’t quite sure he was going for English. “Dimwitted slut- cunt licking- Fuck damn bitch!!!” He got the last few words out in a yell that made the flames of the candles shake and jitter.

“Do you not like your present?” Dru had the audacity to ask as if put out.

He was detached. His eyes registered the realness of the situation but he couldn’t reconcile it with what he felt for her. Love was blind in so many ways, but right now love was acting as a shield, not quite allowing him to make sense of the situation.

She was there, absently fondling the hard length of the stranger with her delicate fingers. He could see it, but it just didn’t make sense. Even as he scanned the room and saw that the others didn’t seem bothered by the interruption he‘s created. It felt like he’d walked into the wrong apartment.

He briefly looked back at the door to check the symbols indicating the apartment’s designation. To his surprise, it was definitely Dru’s place. And that was definitely Dru. The place reeked of drugs and she was most assuredly not being a faithful girlfriend.

He found his voice when he looked back down at her only to see his beloved girl tugging at another man’s cock. Her eyes were wide and red rimmed with dark circles under her eyes. He’d been worried, he’d been angry but he’d never guessed it wouldn’t be something that might not be fixed.

This? This was beyond repair. She had made her choices and nothing of the woman at his feet reminded him of the woman he’d been so enamored with. This woman was something changed.

And he’d completely missed it. Somehow she had kept him at her feet. Her loyal pup. He’d been an idiot and a fool, never seeing the metamorphosis. And somehow some part of this was supposed to be his present?

His high yelp of a laugh hinted at hysterics. “You can keep your present Dru. I’m through with you, and this bloody freak show.”

With that, Spike took a step back from the doorway, turned, and walked back the way he’d come without missing a beat. Gunn had to jog to catch up. No one had bothered to shut the door, and somehow Gunn didn’t think any of the people within would care.

They went down in the lift without a word and when the doors opened to the main hall Spike simply walked out only pausing to open the door. They were again striding down the sidewalks and Gunn remembered enough to infer they were headed back to the car garage.

It was at the turn just before the entrance to the garage that Spike stopped, leaned against a wall over a trash can and emptied his stomach. The knot had finally let itself go but that knot had been the only thing that kept him upright. It held him together enough to turn his back on Dru, but it didn’t seem that it was strong enough for the walk away.

His face suddenly felt cold and he could feel sweat forming on his arms as he heaved again into the trash can. The image kept replaying. Seeing her there so comfortably naked, having sex in a room fool of onlookers, it only made him feel more ill.

He gripped his middle with the hand not holding him up against the wall. He swore that if he dug deep enough with his fingertips he’d be able to pull the hurt out. It was such a real and pure feeling. It had to be tactile.

“You’ll be alright, man.” A voice called to him through the ache.

Spike tried to stand up a little straighter and wiped his brow feeling the wetness that had sprung up there as well. “Yeah. Was just a bit much is all.” He tried to sound more calm than he felt.

“Would be for anyone.” Gunn said, his voice taking on a faraway quality while he remembered the live porn show. After all, he was a guy.

Spike took a few deep breaths while his stomach settled. There was still a twisting pain but he could manage now that there was no longer anything left to churn. He was able to let go of the wall and stand up. He saw Gunn then, and the look on his face was pensive and appreciative as he stared up at nothing with half a grin on his face.

“You could at least pretend not to be getting off on my pain.” Spike stared at his friend straight-faced with only a hint of the anger in his eye.

Chagrinned and caught, Gunn gave Spike a pat on the back. “Has nothing to do with your pain man. I’m sorry for that, really. But I’m a red blooded male of the healthy variety. I can’t be held accountable for my hormonal perversions.”

By the look on Spike’s face, cheering him up by making light of the situation wasn’t going to work. His friend was broken. The empty look was still there but it was no longer a frightening mask. Now there was just simple sadness and loss.

“Come on, let’s head back to Sunnydale. I’ll even drive if you want.”

“HAH!” Spike laughed. “You must think I’ve gone completely bobble head. No one drives my car but me.” And with that he took off again for the garage.
End Notes:
TADA!! So now tha's done. Everything will go very smoothly from now on. I'm sure. Or, you know, Not.
Breaking Up is Hard to Do by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
There was alot of information I wanted to include in this and the next chapter so I'm a bit worried about the flow. But if you;ve made it this far you are probably used to the way the character's minds jump around. I hope. Enjoy!
Spike stared at the television as the car maneuvered through the streets barely making a turn to narrowly avoid the oncoming traffic. The car straightened and fled down the road ahead swerving in and out of the trucks and other vehicles crowding the street.

“Watch it up ahead, there’s a tricky turn coming.” Spike warned the driver sitting beside him. He watched on as the car slowed and spun before coming to a dead stop, the hood smashed into the front doors of a building. “Or you can do that instead.” He said flatly.

“Damn.” Gunn said setting the controller down on the empty seat between them. “That’s crazy. How are you supposed to drive on this thing?”

Picking up the one surviving controller that the two had to share, Spike pressed the start button to start over the same race. “Takes some practice.” He said as the car and his computer opponents took off in a spray of digital rocks and smoke.

Concentrating on the game helped. A part of him had quietly accepted the situation. Last night he’d been crushed by a woman he had envisioned living his life with eventually. Once school was over and she had grown up a little.

He’d had this fuzzy picture in his head, five years from now maybe, where they lived in a house with a yard and maybe a dog. A couple of kids would be nice at some point but not for awhile.

That picture was no linger fuzzy, it was now a shattered pile of razor sharp edges. Each piece slicing him in shallow gashes around his heart.

Somehow playing this game helped. He couldn’t verbalize the reason for this but he knew it had something to do with the connection he made between Buffy and the thrill of driving on the game.

It wasn’t a bad way to spend a Sunday either. They had dry cereal on the table next to soda cans. A true announcement of Spike’s bachelor status as he ate whatever his hand grabbed not bothering to gauge rather it was a good choice or not.

Gunn was too on edge to make complaints over the entertainment or menu. He was waiting for Spike to break down in some way so he was sticking around simply to make sure when it happened he’d be there to help. The thing that bothered him was that Spike seemed normal. He wasn’t yelling or calling Dru names. He didn’t try and talk himself out of the breakup either, which was good but still wasn’t what Gunn had expected.

He seemed rather obsessed with his game system. Maybe that was just helping his friend cope. But after seeing Spike’s reaction to the damaged car‘s repair cost, he honestly thought the blonde man would be in a shattered mess. Instead he was maneuvering through an imaginary town, concentrating very hard on perfecting his ability to skid around sharp corners.

“What do you say we splurge for pizza?” Gunn heard Spike ask even as his eyes remained focused on the quick paced driving.

“Sounds fine.” He agreed, not looking forward to when the breakdown happened.

~~`~~

Buffy rode along the familiar route once again as she headed for the university. It had been a strange week so far. It started when Gunn called at 2 am Sunday morning to announce things had gone well, in the sense that no one had gotten arrested. Buffy of course asked if that had been a concern.

She didn’t much care for the explanation, or rather a lack there of, he gave. It was cryptic at best. “We walked in and, well, let’s just say she was throwing a party and didn’t need a date.”

“So, what did he do?” Buffy asked, hoping it might clear up some of the mystery.

“He kinda stood there, called her some pretty unique names, and then Spike just left.” He said, trying to give a cooler version than the one that had Spike puking up his meals for the week.

It was at this time Buffy had yelped out, “Spike?”

Gunn sat on the couch at his friend‘s, his designated sleeping space for the night, and pulled the phone from his ear long enough for the ringing from her suddenly loud voice to stop. He brought the phone back warily. “Yeah, Spike. You know him?”

Oh my GOD!! Do I know him? Do I know him?!?

She was sitting up straight now, no longer half awake in bed from the early morning call.

Is he serious??

“The name sounds familiar.” She replied as calmly as she could manage, hoping that he didn’t hear the squeak in her voice. “What a strange name.” She forced a breathy laugh. “Spike, weird.” she shook her head for emphasis even though no one could see the movement.

Luckily the conversation was short and by the time Gunn confirmed plans to see her Tuesday Buffy was glad to be alone with her thoughts. Except all of the sudden her thoughts were twisting with the faces of two men. And not just two men, but friends.

She wondered how to approach this new revelation with Spike. After all they had a tentative friendly acquaintance from all outward appearances. So Buffy considered what to say to him when they met Monday while he headed for class and she headed home.

She considered her options of just blurting out she was dating Gunn, asking Spike if he knew Gunn and even the outrageous plan of telling him she was sorry to hear about his girlfriend.

That last one was definitely unacceptable but she still tried to play out what to say to him, even as the bus pulled towards her and she held her books after her first class of the week. She mumbled under her breath, now practicing several versions of a simple greeting.

And she kept practicing as she watched the line of people exiting the bus, some with books in hand, others with backpacks and the occasional briefcase. When the line stopped she simply looked up and the usually cheerful driver, clearly expecting something.

“He’s not here, cream pie.” Lorne told her and he seemed saddened by the fact.

She nodded once. “Oh.” And stepped onto the beast.

Then there was Gunn again. He wasn’t doing anything bad, or wrong. He was just somehow cut off. This started from the moment he picked her up on Tuesday for a meal at his place and study.

He had a couple of roommates in the big old house but the couple chose Tuesday to be spent there because the other residents of the home all had class, leaving the them in quiet. Gunn made up sandwiches, brain food, while Buffy set up their notes and her laptop.

The studying went fairly well. She had questions and he answered and vice versa. Yes, Buffy was rather proud of herself for getting the entire assignment done with minimal help. Her graphs would have to be redone with Excel but other than that, she was good.

She was really impressed with Gunn. She figured his only problem with computers was that he hadn’t been forced to learn about them before. He was doing great though. Like a duck to water.

She was just about to compliment him when he looked up to announce. “I’m not going to be able to hang tomorrow. Maybe Friday too.”

“Hu?”

“Yeah, this thing with Spike. He’s a mess.” Gunn said as he filled out a questionnaire at the end of the chapter about “What We Have Learned” before he elaborated. “I’m going to hang out with him. You know, make sure he doesn’t accidentally take an entire bottle of valium or something.”

The simple idea that Spike would do such a thing had her momentarily frantic. “Would he really do that?”

Gunn set his pen down, apparently now finished with his class work and turned to Buffy. “I don’t know. It’s weird.” His whole demeanor changed. There was true worry radiating from him. “He’s not acting like a guy who lost his one true love.”

“What do you mean?”

At first her curiosity seemed sweet. But as he studied her face something in her eyes, or maybe the way she asked, but something about Buffy made Gunn suddenly uncomfortable about sharing. Now that he knew Buffy had an idea who Spike was, he felt it wasn’t really his place to share the details.

“It’s nothing. I guess I just expected him to go on a bender or maybe throw a few things. All he does is go to class and play video games though.” He said now putting his books and notes away. “I just figured he could use a friend.”

“Yeah. You’re a good friend.” She’d meant to say it to detour him from her worry over Spike possibly hurting himself. But when she said the words what she heard was a truth.

Gunn was a good friend. Possibly a best friend or the potential to be. But she suddenly was able to put her feelings into a context her brain could work out.

As good as Gunn was as a friend, he wasn’t a boyfriend. That spark that was missing, it was the emotion and passion that comes with someone she felt a connection with. And that little zap of electricity, that momentary thrill that could instantly fill her body with joy, that was what was missing.

Between her decision to try dating again and her stubbornness to avoid Spike in a romantic way she’d completely overlooked a simple fact. She wasn’t particularly attracted to Gunn.

Sure, he was good looking, definitely smart and even funny on most days. He had a heart of gold and obviously wanted to take care of the people he held close. He was an amazing catch.

And yet…

But she couldn’t bring herself to say anything to him. He was having enough difficulty dealing with Spike, she couldn’t add to that with a round of “Its not you its me.”

Then Wednesday came and went with an extra bus ride where she saw Spike in the face of every passenger. Then there was homework alone during which the words just ran through her head while she read, not retaining a syllable. Her dinner was tasteless and as she took a hot shower in the hopes she could relax a little there was only one thing in her head.

“Would Spike really hurt himself?” She looked up after wiping the steam from the mirror. Her hair lay wet and loose down her back, droplets of water escaping only to slide down her back.

The pink clean face looking back seemed strangely unfamiliar to her. Buffy didn’t know what it was. Her eyes were still green just this side of hazel, sun kissed blonde hair and a tan from the summer reflected back. She still looked the same but there was definitely something there, so she looked closer.

“What are we going to do about you?” she asked in a voice that came a bit too close to her mother’s.

The wet haired mess seemed to be looking her over slowly. “What are you looking at?” She said in her best don’t-mess-with-me voice, and then giggled at herself.

Others looking on might think she’d lost her mind, but for Buffy it was therapy of a sorts. A way for her to cope being in a home that she’d grown up in that had always been filled with the sounds of others.

Being alone in your home when you’re a child is exciting. Alone at your childhood home as an adult when you knew no one is going to be there anytime soon is just wrong.

She started brushing out her tangled damp locks after quickly throwing on an oversized T-shirt and clean white cotton undies. “Ok, I have to tell Gunn. We can’t keep up this whole thing. I learned my lesson with Riley.” That settled in her head, she kept her eyes on the mirror, checking for any sign of descent from her clone.

So far Buffy-clone seemed on board, so she decided to tackle a more difficult subject.

“And now we have to have another reminder about Spike.” This time she leaned forward, resting her hands against the counter top and staring down the now dry woman with still damp, but neatly brushed tresses. “He was in the first grade when Clinton was elected. You actually were voting at the time. Huge gap there baby. You know it. And lest we forget,” She paused and wondered where the hell the word ‘lest’ came from. ”Gunn’s bestest pal. Pal of Gunn. Talk about adding mud to-”

This time she stopped to try and think of a good metaphor but gave up quickly. After all she was on a roll. “Something else messy.”

And the more she talked, the more she heard the words and made the excuses, the louder another set of facts repeated in her head. A set of facts that fueled her unconscious thoughts and dreams.

He had that cute half smile that always made her heart rate pick up. There was something about the way he walked, heck the way he moved, that made her stare open mouthed when she wasn’t prepared.

He was single now.

His laugh sounded like music, and made a part of her sing. When he smiled all out she couldn’t stop staring at his perfect mouth and wonder how he tasted.

Also, he was now single.

Whenever he was near, his scent made her swoon. He could hold a decent conversation and she hardly ever felt uneasy when there was silence.

And by the way, have I mentioned he’s very not attached right now.

At this very second!

Buffy-clone stared back at her, and there was definitely something different about her. It took Buffy a few more good stares but she thought she knew what was new. What wasn’t there before.

She didn’t like it. So she did what any respectable woman would do in this situation. She went to bed and hoped it went away.

Thursday morning when Buffy-clone greeted Buffy from her place in the wall Buffy still saw it. Plain as day in the now serious face of her twin.

Acceptance.

She didn’t think Spike was attractive. She didn’t have a crush and she wasn’t falling for him. No, not a one of those things were true because she had already fallen.

“So that’s it.” She told herself while she lined the bristles of her toothbrush with paste. “It’s out of my hands.” She waved the toothbrush at her reflection. “You know you’re just asking for trouble.”

She glared at the woman in the mirror as she scrubbed the night from her mouth. The minty taste waking her up even as she realized just exactly what had happened. There had been a another decision in her life, and for some reason this decision seemed like a big deal.

She tried to figure out what she was going to do next.

Gunn, it had to be Gunn. They had to talk.

It had only been a few days, but this week was definitely turning into a rather interesting series of revelations. Even though she’d taken the ride to school more times than she could accurately count, today was different.

When the bus pulled to a stop she noticed her destination was coming up. It was going to be tough, she was going to see him soon and she had no idea how Gunn was going to take the news that she just considered him a good friend.

Even as she stepped off the bus she dreaded the thought that this might hurt him.

~~`~~

It started about 20 minutes earlier. Spike was beating the tar out of some hairy beast on some fantasy game when for the first time, his character lost. The avatar was down with bright red oozing pixilated blood while “Challenge Incomplete” flashed across the scene.

That’s when Spike set down the controller. It sat there on the floor between his booted feet for a solid 30 seconds before Spike stood, called out a litany of curses and very calmly, very smoothly and with no trepidation at all, lifted his foot only to bring it down flat on the floor a few inches from the controller.

He sat back down, eyes still on the untouched controller as he leaned forward with his hands hanging loosely between his legs. “All that time with her, all that time. What a waste.”

His head was shaking back and forth. Gunn couldn’t do anything but wait for what happened next. He still had no idea how bad good old, up for a laugh William a.k.a. Spike was going to get.

“I mean, I put off school for her and didn’t transfer here till I was sure she was set in LA.” He was sitting up now, clearly upset. “And after the accident, I really thought we were meant to be, you know Charles?”

Yeah, this was it. When “William” started calling him “Charles” things were getting serious. Half looking at his watch as he tried to figure out how long he had before class, Gunn seriously contemplated skipping. If he missed something Buffy would clue him in.

After all, she’d understand. She knew how bad things were for Spike.

With confidence that missing one class couldn’t throw him, he decided to let his friend keep his wingman one more day, class or no class.

Probably.

“Yeah I know. But look, at least you know now. Its no great comfort, I get that. But its better than spending more time thinking everything is hunky dory.” He tried to lay it all out. With any luck there would be a little more cursing and then another week or so of feeling like crap, then Spike would get over it.

Also maybe he wouldn’t have to skip class after all. Because no matter how much he tried to logic it out in his head he really felt guilty about missing a session. He wasn’t the kind of guy that played hooky.

“She came to my bedside every day after that wreck. I never once doubted she was the one.” Spike got off the couch and grabbed a couple of cold beers, the universal signal between guys that one had something to say and the other was expected to stick around and listen.

Gunn took the proffered beer but didn’t drink it. He knew that if he did that there was no turning back, and there would be no computer class. He set it on the coffee table instead and listened for what he knew was coming. The motorcycle accident.

“Buggered up for nearly 2 months you know. One misstep and two broken legs busted in 5 places, not to mention my ribs-” He winced just remembering that pain. Not at the time of the accident. No, thankfully all he remembered of that were clipped images that made little sense.

He remembered waking up after the surgery though. The shiny new pins holding his left knee together not to mention the plate running the length from just below his right knee to about 4 inches above his ankle. Not that he could really see it or feel it. He was covered from hip to toe in casts. But the pain, it was everywhere, not at all specific.

He was already tearing even as his eyes were adjusting to the bright lamps of the hospital. The saltwater drench his cheeks as every fiber of his normally healthy body cried out in agony.

And she was there. Back in those days his sweet dark princess was such a lady. She always preferred the modesty of a long dress. Her tiny cuffed sleeves were almost doll-like. Her eyes were wide with wonder on most days, but this day they were red and swollen from her own tears, and her own pain.

When he caught her gaze the hurt throbbing through is body oddly faded. “Dru?” He barely croaked out past his dry throat.

She immediately rushed to him, leaning over the side of the bed and pushing his blonde curls away from his eyes. “Spike?” Her gentle fingers wiped away his tears as she smiled down at him. “My sweet bad boy. Why must you ride that terrible machine?”

“Won’t touch it again.” A sharp bolt shot through his torso when he tried to turn towards her. “Oh god kill me! I swear I’ll never touch another of those soddin things again!” He groaned out a final raspy howl as the pain moved along before easing. “Just give me some decent drugs, please?” His eyes were clinched shut tight as he tried to shut out the blaze.

“Oh good, we’re awake. Are we ready for our codeine?” A too chirpy voice asked. The plump redhead with an unflattering bob hairstyle came in pulling a cart with tiny tubes and vials along with plastic wrapped supplies sitting on its shelves.

He opened his eyes and briefly thought of wishing for Jessica Alba to land in his lap, but he didn’t think that Dru would care for that joke. Also his lap was in no condition to receive visitors.

His first few days were a bit of a blur, but a blur with Dru by his side and never ending talk shows on the telly. He remembered Angel and Darla coming by once that week, they had taken Dru out for a meal while he was X-rayed. That may have been the moment that changed Dru, but he couldn’t know for sure.

She’d been gone for 3 hours, and when she returned her eyes were again red, but different. She seemed a little nonsensical as well. He’d thought that maybe she was playing a joke but her words had a meaningful rhythm to them. He soon deduced his friends, the drug dealing couple, had let Dru sample some product.

Not that he was a virgin to experimentation, he just remembered being surprised by several things that day. It was one of his most pivotal.

That was also the day the men came, dressed like overpriced lawyers and to this day he wasn’t sure how it all happened but his insurance company had sent the jokers down with papers to sign. It happened to be at a time that he was completely coherent, the hospital having switched him to good old Ibuprofen which helped with the aches but kept his mind on the clear side.

He didn’t understand the legal terms, and he wasn’t sure it was making any real sense but according to GQ one and GQ two he was going to be pretty well off due to a recall on his bike. And due to the company’s desire to avoid bad press from his incident, they were willing to settle on a decent cash settlement.

They explained while he read. Somewhere within the conversation he understood that the insurance guys wanted him to take the deal. He wasn’t real sure what to do as he read over sections trying hard not to constantly look back at the dollar amount typed up numerically in several places. It was just a lot of zeros for one number.

“I don’t know.” Honesty seemed like the best choice. “What about all this?” He asked pointing to the heart monitor and the drip hanging above his bed.

The two men looked at each other and one said something in a low voice Spike couldn’t hear clearly. Then GQ one cleared his throat. “We could have the hospital’s charges added in separately by the company. I’m sure they would agree.”

He looked from the men surprised, then back to the papers, flipped a few pages and eyed the spot he was expected to sign. “How do I know if this is the best deal?”

The men exchanged another look before the hushed words started up again. This time it was Mr. GQ two’s turn to talk. “Mr. Pratt, I assure you we have negotiated the best terms we could. After all, we take our percentage from that number.”

Apparently number two believed in honesty as well. Or at least Spike hoped he did because he really wasn’t in much of a position to be picky. He was a broke bartender, barely legal enough to do that and had no family alive anymore.

Again he stared at the number and imagined what he could do with it. Things that might make a difference. “I’ll need a pen.”

The months after that were spent in therapy, moving in with Dru and becoming a fearsome foursome with Angel and Darla. Things changed so fast in that time that looking back, it was strange he never stopped to wonder what was going on.

Prim sweet Dru, who’d only planned to stay for a summer had never left. She never mentioned her home in Sheffield. There were never any calls from her family and she lost nearly every friend she’d made. But in turn she had latched onto Spike’s friends. Angel and Darla rarely called without wanting to speak to Dru.

It kind of made sense at the time. He was still wrapped in casts so he wasn’t going out much those days. But he wasn’t going to make Dru hide in their apartment. The same one she still lived in to this day.

Her clothing changed, her speaking changed and by the time he was up and moving around he found that he had to push himself to keep up with her.

She worked as a temp during the day, but most nights she was out dancing and when he was able to go along with the help of a cane what he saw shocked him, at first. But really, it was no big deal. Or so he told himself at the time.

The were in the back corner of one of the local bars. The kind only the seedier residents visited. He watched her lean down and delicately hold the sliced straw in one hand while she pressed her index finger against the other nostril to snort a line of coke.

As he watcher her stand up, brush off the underside of her tiny nose and smile at him, he just stood and smiled back. What was he going to say? She was still his sweet girl. He loved her and she loved him, well and often.

She would still sit with him if a bout of pain hit. She was essentially supporting them both until the settlement went through while all he could do was lay around on the couch. His bartending job was long gone. Not that the boss held any ill will. He’d been by a few times, usually with a bottle of scotch, but he needed a man behind the bar. Spike couldn’t do it. Walking was a challenge and would be for another few months, or so he’d been told.

His days were a long run of “same shit, different day.” He really had no idea if it was Monday or Friday and he was going a little mad, then he’d seen the seventh or eighth commercial for a local college.

“You can reach your potential. All you have to do is try.”

It was kind of cliché, but the commercial had a point. He’d wanted to go to Uni back home, but there just wasn’t the money. He’d been desperate so he came to the states. Now here he laid back on a couch in a moderately spacious lower middle class apartment waiting for cash from the settlement to land in his bank account.

He stared back at another commercial, this one for a tech school. It was the final straw, he was going to walk without that cane, he was going back to school and he was getting the hell out of LA.

Ok, the money took a little while, leaving LA took longer and ended up being just as painful as the accident.

As he recovered he made plans to begin school. He signed up for classes that fall and made plans to look for work.

He called Dru constantly during the day as he attended school in LA. He announced to her that he was going to finish 2 years there, but then they were leaving so he could continue his education with a more open curriculum and she was not pleased.

Her entire being had kept changing as he adjusted to his new life. Her dresses had been replaced by tight leather pants and black corsets to be worn instead of a shirt, not under it. She still seemed like herself though, outward appearances didn’t seem to be a result of anything but fashion.

While he was at school that first year he worked hard, and studied hard. Finding a job delivering for a deli every afternoon was great for him. The walking and the riding only helped his recuperation.

By the beginning of his second year there wasn’t a limp in his walk, although he had picked up a swagger in his step that had nothing to do with the accident and everything to do with pride in himself.

What he failed to notice that his long nights studying were the same nights Dru went out partying, Something that slowly turned to every night of the week for both. He was too busy to notice that she was no longer working, both now living off of the ample amount in his savings.

Then it was time for him to transfer. He’d done all he could at the local college. He had to leave LA, and he was almost ready to declare his major. American Literature was good, but one of his stops, Mclay’s Dentistry, had him considering another possibility.

The woman who ran the practice was very shy but he’d managed a friendship with her and was curiously interested in what she did for a living. He’d never even considered it but the more he thought about it the more he liked the idea.

Dru threw a fit a week before he had to leave for Sunnydale. She screamed, she cried, she ripped up one of her blouses. In short, she was out of her mind.

He did what he could promising visits and flowers and to make sure she continued getting what she needed to live on. He had to repeat this and other things to get her to relax. In the end he left, she kissed him good bye and they struggled to keep it together.

Spike snorted at it all. The pointless disaster of it all. “Oh well, in a month she’s going to have one sorry surprise of her own.” He said staring at Gunn.

Spike was still standing and took another drink off his beer. “There’s no way she can come up with the rent.” he smiled at how frantic poor dear Dru would be when the payment notices started coming in for water and electricity.

“What do you mean?” Gunn wondered.

Spike had almost forgotten he wasn’t alone. “She’s got no way to make payment. Homeless in a month. Maybe less if they find out I dumped her.”

“Who? What are you talking about?”

Spike forgot, people didn’t know here. Gunn didn’t know. “I always took care of Dru. When I was in LA, after the cash came I always made sure she had everything. Couldn’t give up my place though and switched it to her name when I moved out but I paid the bills. All of them.”

Without thinking Gunn took a swig from the bottle. “You’re out of your mind. Student loans and scholarships only cover so much. Hell the rent for this place must be bad enough.”

Spike grinned widely. “I never did tell you about the money from the accident, did I?”
End Notes:
Ok.. so.. there is the backstory for our pal Spike. And for those of you who were concerned about Gunn.. see.. no need to worry. I just like Gunn. He's nifty.
Friday by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
This one was kinda hard for me, I'm not real sure why. I think like most I'm waiting for the Spuffy lovin', but I'm not one to just throw them together without the work. Otherwise, where's the fun?
The class cleared eventually. The computers sat quietly, now shut down while Fred made some notations in her planner. She settled herself at her desk and began to pack up her papers and notes to go over for next weeks class when she saw Buffy staring at the clock still seated at her table.

“Buffy, is everything alright?” She asked concerned.

Finally looking away from the clock hung on the wall, the blonde forced a smile. “Yeah, just thinking.” She said and tried to look busy stacking and restacking her own supplies for school.

With a knowing look Fred stood from her desk and came to Buffy‘s table. “Is this about Charles?”

Laying a stack of papers on the table she looked up at the tiny framed brunette whose glasses perched low on her nose. “Kind of.”

The slim brunette sat herself on the table across from Buffy. “Is he sick? That why he missed class today?”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t know. He never said anything about not feeling alright.” She sighed, not quite sure how to feel about not being able to break things off with him. Part of her was relieved but a bigger part wanted to get it done with. “I really wanted to talk to him.”

Fred perked up at this. “Well you can call him. Sweeties do that, you know?”

Now with a small frown Buffy again shook her head and this time added another sigh. “This is kind of a face-to-face conversation I need to have.”

“Oh.” The professor now frowned before her eyes grew twice their size. “Your not pregnant are you?”

The blonde barely whispered. “What!”

“Or, maybe not.” She was a little embarrassed by her assumption. “No. I meant present. Do you have a present for him?”

Half a smile came of its own accord when Buffy watched her mentor trying to backpedal and solve a mystery at the same time. “No, nothing like that. I need to break things off. There’s just no spark. You know?”

Now Fred was extremely confused. “Really? But he’s so- and with the eyes and the- plus, he’s so smart and sweet and-” The dreamy look on her face caused her to stare out into nothing with a quiet smile.

Buffy’s eyebrows nearly reached her hairline as she watched Fred go gooey over one of her students. It was more than clear that whatever flame was missing when it came to her feelings for Gunn, Fred had it and the flame was only getting bigger. “You like him? Oh my god, Fred! You have the hots for my not-so-much-a-boyfriend.”

The mortified look behind her spectacles only preceded the rant of apologies ready to flow from Fred’s mouth. But Buffy wasn’t going to let Fred put herself through anything so unnecessary. “Don’t worry. It’s all fine with me, but, aren’t there rules about that kind of thing? You’re a professor.” She stated plainly.

“Well, I was only lookin’” The Texan drawl crept into her speech. ”Besides, he‘s graduating this term.”

Buffy laughed. “You looked up his transcript?”

“I-I was just checking on a good student.” She pushed her glasses up quickly with a jitter in her voice.

“You do know you are going to hell, right?” Buffy joked.

“Just,” Fred looked back at the still open door to see the empty hall. “don’t go saying anything. I kinda have to wait and I don’t want anyone thinking I tried to overstep the lines.”

With a few quick motions pantomiming the zipping of her lips Buffy nodded.

Now giggling Fred swung her legs as she leaned forward. “Besides, it is a little scandalous. He’s only 29 and I’m 34 in November.”

Buffy’s immediate thought was, “What‘s a few years?” This however is not what she said as she made yet another small discovery in herself.

“Could be worse.” Buffy said smiling.

~~`~~

The phone ringing behind the locked door had Buffy running into her house on Revello like a mad woman. “I’m coming, I’m coming. Hold on.” She called to it as she dropped her books on the table by the door.

Another ringing came through and the answering machine beeped just as she picked up the phone in the kitchen. “Hi.” She said breathlessly. “I mean, hello.”

“Hey Buffy.”

Exhaling, Buffy sat on the closest stool at the bar. “Hey Gunn.” The sudden feeling of dread overwhelming her when the full force hit her of what she had to do.

“Sorry I missed class today.” He started. “Things got kinda heavy with Spike, but I think he’s gonna be alright now.”

It was what she had expected, or at least one of the reasons she had thought of earlier that day. Mostly because she had been thinking of Spike nearly nonstop. “I’m glad he’s ok.” It seemed like the most polite thing to say and she was worried that saying more might only bring up the only topic she really didn’t want to talk about in detail. Namely Spike.

“Yeah. Well, since I missed the lesson I was hoping teacher’s pet might hook a brotha’ up. Maybe tell me the assignment and do a little studying tonight.”

Her fingers tapped against the counter’s surface. Her mind rushed through the possible answers to a fairly straightforward and normal request. Should she let him come over, then break it off? Or should she break up with him now and let him decide if he wanted to come over?

God she hated this.

“I don’t mind helping you out, but I think I need to talk to you before you decide if you want to come here and study.” She had forced the sentence out but now it was out there and she was going to have to finish it.

There was a short pause before he answered. “Alright.”

~~`~~

Her mood was morose. Even as she sat surrounded by friends, firm in the belief that her decisions were right and perfectly reasonable. She knew that there was a chunk missing. And now that she had reluctantly pinpointed what it was she was willing to seek out, Buffy wasn’t content.

Every ache inside told her that even in this very happy comfort zone, she was only there in body. Her mind couldn’t enjoy the film as the characters acted out their parts. Even watching them she could somehow sense the actors only half of what they seemed.

Her mind concentrated on Spike and how to get to him. She almost felt like a stalker as she came up with scenario after scenario that might bring him to her.

“Right Buffy?” Willow asked again perkily from beside her friend’s feet in front of Xander’s couch. Oz was right behind his girl, sitting by the blonde with Willow leaning against his legs from the floor.

All eyes in the room were staring at the blonde only now discovering she was the center of attention. “Oh, yeah. What?”

“Something’s got the Buffster down. Do you miss tall dark and gangster?” Xander asked with a goofy grin as he sat on the other end of the couch. His basement apartment wasn’t the most inviting underground hovel in town. But the group managed just fine.

Oz calmly turned to the brunette male beside him. “Gunn isn’t gangster. He’s roughneck.”

“Really?” Xander asked.

“Oh yeah.” Willow seemed to agree.

Buffy was quickly growing annoyed. “Ok guys. That’s enough of THAT conversation. I’m not sad about Gunn. Its all ok. I promise.”

Willow glowered up at her friend, a task only the red head could pull off. “You’re not trying to be a brave little soldier are you? Because that’s not ok. Okay?”

Buffy smiled, an honest to goodness happy smile at her best friend. “I’m really alright. Just another bad fit with another great guy, which of course, sucks.” she sighed. ‘But its not a dire kind of thing. Just a rotten kind of thing.”

“Then where’s that Friday night spirit?” Xander wondered. “I mean, if you can’t laugh at Monty Python, then something just ain’t right.”

And again Spike flashed in her mind. The day he walked into the classroom, his whirl of presence when he took his seat. The memory alone had her gasping.

Her hand came to her forehead without even realizing it.

“Buff?” Willow’s concerned eyes went from Oz to Buffy.

Oz watched Buffy as she shook her head and took her hand away. “You alright?” He asked.

Ok, so she was out of her mind. But these were her friends. If anyone could help her figure out what to do and how to do it they would. With another shaky breath and looking back at her three friends who all seemed to be waiting for her, she focused on how to start. “Well, you guys remember Gunn’s friend. The one with female troubles?”

Xander was shocked, his eyes wide. “He had a girl on the side? That bastard!”

“No! No, Xander. Not that kind of- Oh brother.” Buffy said trying to hold back his tirade. “His male friend with the girlfriend problem. Jeez!”

Xander settled back down, now sheepishly running a hand through his hair. “Oh yeah. That friend.” He smiled now trying to act casual, although not very well. “Of course, yeah. The guy.”

She shook her head in frustration. “Yeah, THAT friend.” She’d lost some of her steam now. Buffy was trying harder not to come unglued from her annoyance but she wanted to get this out. “So I guess when they went to LA the whole thing came to a head. They broke up.”

“Aww.” Willow cooed sympathetically. “That’s so sad.”

“Hah.” It came out from Buffy’s mouth automatically and her friends had heard it. She knew more about the circumstances leading up to the breakup. The last thing she felt about it was sorry.

The little chuckle sort of hung in the silence. She only shook her head again. This was strange, being under the microscope. “Anyway, Willow you remember when I told you about Spike. When we were getting books before classes?”

Immediately Willows face perked up. “Oh, the cute one? Yeah I remember.” Then she became very excited. “Oh! Did Spike ask you out? Is that why you broke up with Gunn?” And as quick as a blink the red head’s face became very serious and accusing. “You didn’t break up with Gunn for Spike did you , Buffy Summers?”

Insulted Buffy crossed her arms across her chest. “No! Of course not. God.”

“Oh. Ok. Good.” Willow was satisfied and a bit embarrassed.

“Ok, so what’s the big deal about these guys Buff?” Xander asked the obvious question.

“Well, Gunn’s friend and Spike? They’re the same guy. Spike is the friend who just lost his girlfriend.” She said it like that explained exactly why she was not having a great relaxing time like she usually did Friday nights.

“So there’s a recently single guy out there that you know and you don’t know how to ask him out.” Oz said. He didn’t ask if that was the problem he simply said it like it was the most obvious conclusion.

Xander stared at his read headed testosterone companion and said one word. “Doubtful.”

“Oh!” Willow caught on and smiled back at Buffy. “Well we can help you with that.”

Now Xander stared at Willow before shifting to Buffy. “Is that all that’s going on?”

“Yeah.” She was still stunned herself that Oz had guessed right on the meager clues she’d given. “Basically, with a few more small details but, pretty much.”

“Oh, yeah, we can help with this.” He nodded. “Funny though. His name is Spike like William’s nickname.”

The face that Buffy next made can only be described as twisted and caught. She tried to turn it into a smile but she still resembled a small child holding a stolen cookie with her mother looking on.

Realization came over Xander’s face slowly, then he grinned back at her. “Isn’t he like, a kid?”

“Oh yeah.” Willow agreed, suddenly remembering some more of the details that Buffy had revealed to her on the bright warm sunny day at the caf. “There was the age thing. What about that.”

Buffy shrugged. “I have no idea. But I also know it doesn’t seem to matter.” She really didn’t know what to expect. No matter who she tried to be with, nothing was perfect. Maybe age would be another hurdle and maybe it wouldn’t matter.

Gunn was her age. Ok, so maybe a few years younger but that hadn‘t been the problem. She knew the short relationship was lacking of something chemical. “All I’m sure of is that if I don’t try it’s just going to eat at me.”

“And why not just have Spike do that?” Willow said giggling.

Buffy nearly fell out of her seat. “Willow!!” Oh my god!” She spun on Oz. “Exactly what have you done to my best friend?” She half laughing and half outraged try to ask the still calm looking male now full of a red faced redhead who couldn‘t stop giggling.

Willow’s face was buried in Oz’s lap as she laughed at Buffy‘s reaction to her sudden statement.

Oz looked from his girlfriend back to Buffy and without even hinting at a grin answered the still shocked blond. “I’m not real sure you’d want to see the list.”

~~`~~

Spike was a little surprised to see Gunn at his door. The man had been a constant the last few days and Spike was sure his friend was sick and tired of sitting around his house. But he didn’t say a word after answering the door to see his friend standing in the porch light with a rather sad look on his face.

He left the door open and walked back to his couch, grabbing the beer off the table he’d been nursing for the last 2 hours while watching movies that no respectable male would admit to owning.

Gunn didn’t follow Spike to the couch. Instead he set the 6 pack of beer he’d brought with him in the refrigerator while grabbing one for himself. It took the new arrival a solid 10 minutes of watching the movie before Gunn finally asked, “Is this a chick flick, man?”

Spike enjoyed a pull from his bottle before he answered in a manner that was filled with warning. “Love Actually is fine English cinema.”

Eyebrows raised, Gunn just settled in for the movie. “Whatever you say.”

Spike was feeling alright, but that didn’t mean his emotions weren’t balancing precariously on the edge of a very unstable cliff. “Exactly why are you here? Shouldn’t you be wooing that new skirt of yours?”

“Ex Skirt.”

Spike faced Gunn. “Are you kidding? Already?”

The bitter bubbles of his drink soothed his nerves as he took another drink. “Yeah. Saw her yesterday. I like her, there’s something about her but I felt like I was kissing my sister most the time.”

“Definitely a bad sign there.” Spike nodded.

Gunn nodded solemnly. “Yeah.” Ok, so maybe he left out the part where it was actually Buffy who had done the ‘breaking’ part but the rest was true. And since Gunn had found out that Buffy knew Spike, he had kept the identity of his girl from his saddened pal hoping Spike wouldn’t find out how much of his personal life he’d shared with Buffy unknowingly.

The pair of males sat in near silence as the movie played on. Every now and then a grunt at one of the scenes on the screen would break through the quite, often followed by another grunt in agreement as they remained in their separate thoughts.

When the movie finished Spike stood and set out to change the disk. As he placed a new flick into the drawer of the DVD player he shook his head. “You know what really get at me?”

“Chicks with big eyes and dark hair?” Gunn said not thinking. He looked up to see an irritated male crouched in front of the television now holding the empty case for Bend it Like Beckham. Gunn took a quick glance at his beer bottle and the empty one sitting on the table. 2 beers in less than an hour wasn’t a crazy amount but it was enough to slow down the censorship part of his brain.

He set his bottle down next to the empty one. “Sorry man, bad joke.” he said.

Suddenly Spike let out a loud laugh, open mouthed and eyes watering, he was erupting. He fell back, loosing his balance as the shaking from his guffaws tumbled him onto his rear. He was watching the look on Gunn’s very confused face which only made him want to laugh harder, but instead he started trying to take in long breaths to steady himself.

It was a difficult process, because as terrible as things had gotten, and as much as he’d given of himself to Dru, she wasn’t the one thing that got to him. She wasn’t the one person who tore at him.

When Spike settled himself down enough to pull in regular lungfuls of air he wiped the tears from his eyes that had fallen from his hysterics. “And I didn’t do a damn thing.” He shook his head at himself.

Gunn was sure his earlier assessment that Spike was getting over Dru had been completely incorrect as he watched the blonde fall apart right in front of him. And now Gunn wasn’t sure what thing Spike didn’t do.

Spike still shook his head. He’d behaved. He’d been a bloody monk in this town. Sure, most of it was easy and made sense. Rather he liked it or not growing up was necessary in life if you wanted to live it. He’d been responsible and faithful and hardworking. Hell, he was downright boring trying to do the right thing. And up until a few weeks ago he was happy about it.

Scratching the back of his head, Spike tried to figure out how much of his LA self was even left. “You know Charlie,” Spike said fully aware of how tense his friend was due to his outburst. “I think it’s time I started breaking some rules again.”

He turned his head towards the dark man still seated on the far end of the couch. Gunn shifted in his seat. “You’re not going back to kill her are you? Cuz rich or not, I don’t think you’ll be able to get away with it. You’re not famous or anything.” He tried to joke.

Spike raised an eyebrow as he pulled himself off the ground and pressed play on the player before going back to his seat on the couch.

Gunn gave Spike half a grin, now seeing that whatever moment of crazy had taken over the blonde seemed to have passed. “Also, I think it’s a little illegal.”

“Not planning on doing anyone in. ‘S just this other woman, blonde just for your information. Met her about a year ago and kept my hands to myself. I’m thinking it might be time to rethink that particular situation.”

~~`~~

“The cellular customer you are trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time.” The polite male digital prerecorded voice told Drusilla as she sat in her apartment. Her home was empty of visitors for now, and alone at the kitchen table she could only stare at the envelopes scattered across her table.

It had been a horrific day.

She had her routine for Friday night. It was one of the only few old habits that she kept along with her more recent ones. Before she could allow herself the drug and sex induced haze that started Fridays and ended sometime Monday morning she had to settle her bills.

It was an easy habit to keep with seemingly endless resources at her disposal. Almost a happy occasion as that was also the day she would receive her weeks allowance for her personal use.

The stipend was dispersed automatically through her prince’s accountant and arrived like clockwork with the noon mail at the end of every week.

But as many times as she sifted through the weeks mail and the now torn envelopes there was no check or cash. Nothing.

This however, had not been her first sign of a problem. Her very first inkling was when she tried to pay her water bill by credit card and had been told by the female voice on the other end of the line that the card was not being accepted.

So she must have overspent her limit on that card. It was a possibility. Last week Darla had brought over some simply premium coke and they had decided a shopping spree was in order. It wasn’t the first time she’d maxed a card out in one trip.

Easy as you please she tried another card, also not acceptable.

After her next three attempts failed she was reminded that if her bill could not be settled, services would have to be cut off and a deposit along with a reconnection fee would be required to start service again.

That call infuriated her. What was wrong with the water people? Didn’t they want her money? She simply could not understand why they’re stupid credit card machines were broken. So she did what came natural to her. She threw a fit.

After destroying her family room, turning the end tables and breaking a mirror along with tossing anything that wasn’t nailed down, she calmly strode to her seat again and began dialing the numbers to reach her credit card companies.

It was then that she found out the most confusing information. Spike had cut her off. Spike had cut her off? Why would he do such a silly thing?

It truly made no sense. He had been busy this week, of that she was sure. He hadn’t had time to call her even once. A relief for her. It left her free from his interruptions while she was enjoying the freedom of her lifestyle. One her lovely boy more that willingly financed.

She tried to remember anything from his last visit that might have caused him to pull such a cruel prank.

In her twisted memory he had watched her show. Enjoyed seeing her performance with the friends she often invited over for shared pleasure. In her memory all had gone well.

So she called, and called. And yet now it was she who could not seem to get through to Spike. He no longer seemed to be answering her calls.

One final try, she dialed for him again only this time the message was different. “This number can no longer send or receive calls. To clear this matter, please contact the billing department.”

With a screaming howl Dru threw the phone across the room only to have it bounce from the counter in the kitchenette and to the floor in pieces.
End Notes:
Ok, before anyone freaks.. that is the last real Dru scene.I just felt like torturing her a bit. I'm not going to be spending loads of time on Gunn and Fred cuz, well, that's not why we're here is it? Now the question is, exactly how are the blondes going to screw things up when they are now thinking along the same lines?? I'll let you know as soon as I figure that one out.
Through the Looking Glass by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Well, it seemed like there was a low vote on having the blondes screw it up, so I promise.. well... I'll tell ya after.
The thing about making a decision in life that no one really considers, is that wanting something and reaching for it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going to get it right then, if ever. This particular truth was becoming more and more evident as the weeks progressed, and the only thing Buffy could do was bide her time.

She had a very busy college life that was almost regimental between classes, her internship and her friends. She had a little free time but none that seemed to coincide with the object of her desire’s daily routine. Their paths had yet to cross since Spike’s status changed from ‘off limits’ to ‘single’.

She had paid attention to Gunn’s ramblings enough that she knew Spike was doing fine, had his car, and pretty much kept to himself these days. But with a four day weekend coming up Buffy wanted better details.

Thankfully, Charles had slipped from the position of boyfriend material to friend almost seamlessly. They still could be found studying, though more often in the quad or in the caf and he’d come by for a few hours last Friday to watch Die Hard, Xander’s movie choice for the night.

Buffy tried to hint that she should see if Spike wanted to come over. After all he only lived a few minutes walk away from her house where the group had congregated.

“He’s doing a little plotting these days.” Gunn had chuckled.

Xander’s attention was drawn from the glowing embers of an explosion on the television screen. “Against his ex?”

Gunn outright laughed at that. “Hell no. He hasn’t even talked about her much. He had a friend, Annie I think was her name, check in on her. I guess she was trying to get Dru signed up for rehab placement or something. But she got picked up for possession, got herself thrown in the poky.” He shook his head at the way some people were willing to live for a synthetic high.

“Anyway,” He continued, trying not to linger on a situation he couldn’t do much about. “He’s been trying to figure out how to play Romeo to some new girl.”

The stone that suddenly embedded itself into Buffy’s throat had nothing on the boulder now weighing her down as it pressed southward in her stomach.

“New girl?” This was Willow, eyes darting towards Buffy, noting the pale skin of the blonde’s face. “What new girl?”

Oz didn’t have to look at Buffy to see she was completely thrown. He could imagine his reaction if Willow hadn’t wanted to be with him. But Willow and Xander both tried to sneak peaks at their friend. She was visibly shaken immediately. Both watched as she quickly tried to compose herself.

Soon there was a smile forming on her face, which made no sense considering her feelings for the peroxide blonde. They’d heard more than their fair share about Spike these last weeks so her reaction was a more than a bit strange.

“Like what?” Oz asked unexpectedly.

Gunn eyes the usually stoic man. “It’s hard to explain. If he were a woman I think I’d have to pull up some Psych 101 and say he’s nesting. He’s always busy and anytime I do see him there’s something different at his place.”

Ok, for a minute there, Buffy was able to fake that she had happy feeling for Spike moving on, heck she even forced a smile. But now she couldn’t even pretend not to be confused. “What’s that got to do with this girl?” She asked with a little anger seeping into the words. No one else seemed to notice though.

Gunn shrugged. “Don’t ask me. He’s not telling me anything. And the one time I asked he told me to, and I quote, “Shut your bloody gob or you’ll jinx the whole thing.” Unquote.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Xander asked, obviously incredulous.

“That’s what I said.” Gunn admitted.

That had been the end of that conversation. Obviously whatever floozy had caught her man’s attention had him acting oddly. She hadn’t seen him in nearly a month now and even Gunn said he was hiding out lately.

She stared out her window in the family room, just standing and thinking wearing shorts and one of her famous tent sized T-shirts. It was a pretty evening with stars dotting the sky in competition with the electricity of the streetlamps.

Now, even as she remembered the little that Gunn had shared last week, Buffy wanted to act. It was Friday once again, and thanks to the joys of institutionalized learning she had a house to herself while much of the student body went away to enjoy the first real freedom after midterms. There were more than a few empty dorms and homes in the city for the four day weekend.

Even Oz and Willow were gone, although they had opted for a trip to San Diego to visit some of Oz’s family. Xander was off on a retreat that would involve 3 conferences in 2 days and resting by the pool for another day in Honolulu.

He’d been saving for a year and had just barely scraped enough together to go. The advances in security for networks was the main topic. He was so excited when Buffy saw him Thursday after his last class that she though he might pee his paints.

Gunn was around. He wanted to go to some big bash but with his graduation approaching and a thesis still in need of researching for completion, there just wasn’t the option to leave.

And Spike…? As far as she knew he was staying in town. He was here, in her own neighborhood in fact.

She stared out the window into the stars before taking a few steps and walking to, then out the front door closing it behind her as she grabbed her key from the side table.

It was a nice night. A great night really. No need for a jacket, and yet cool enough that the lack of a breeze wasn’t noticed. She didn’t think of where she was going, there was no question to be answered there.

She didn’t think at all really, just focused on getting to his house, although she had no plan once there. The paved walk of the streets were uneven in a few places and in her haste she tripped a few times, stubbing her exposed toe in the sandals she’d barely had the mind to slip on. It stung for a moment but she was in determined-mode.

When she went around the final corner and down his street, she noticed the lights of his home were all off. No porch light and the lights of the front windows were dark as well. But his car was parked within his garage, door open with a very feint illumination sneaking out past the metal monster.

She kept walking along the opposite side of his street, peering around his car as she strode parallel to his home.

She didn’t see him, but she could hear a muttering and the clang of metal tapping metal. Although the wide frame of his Desoto took up most of the single car garage she could make out his shadow against the walls. The back of the structure was more brightly lit from what seemed to be a single bulb encompassed by a thick wired frame all attached to a thin cord mounted on the ceiling.

A wave of nostalgia hit her as she remembered Hank, her father, had something like that when she was a kid. She had always thought it was so cool, how the wire would wind itself inside a case next to the garage door opener.

She was smiling lightly when she heard her name being called. She looked back into the garage to see Spike wiping his hands with a grease covered towel. “Buffy? What you doing standin’ there?” His voice was surprised but he smiled back at her.

She was stuck. It couldn’t be helped as she stared at him. A white wife beater splotched with dark marks that matched the smears on his arms and the one across a cheek revealed way too much primely muscled Spike for her at once.

Not only was his shirt clinging to his sweaty skin but it was riding up his front to allow a peak at his stomach and the belly button that lay atop a light line of hair disappearing beneath grey sweats that hung low on his hips. All in all he was a mess, and just about the most amazing thing she’d ever seen.

She tried to swallow past her now dry throat, the feeling all too familiar. It seemed that, with her new way of looking at things, her body had gone back to its initial responses to this man.

“Holy cripes.” The breathy whisper barely audible.

Spike took a few steps further down the drive. “Sorry pet. Can’t hear ya.” He turned for a split second and tossed the towel onto the ground near his open toolbox next to the back tire.

She watched the movement then shook and shivered as a blaze of heat went up her spine and back down to settle in her womb.

Get a hold of yourself.

He called back to her. “Come on over here Buffy, no sense yellin in the street.”

She nodded automatically. He could have asked her to bark like a dog and she would have started yelping quick as she could.

A smile on her face, she walked over to him only to be assaulted by the strong masculine scent of work and sweat. And god help her, he smelled even better than she remembered.

He walked back towards the garage and opened the passenger door leaving her on his driveway to try and figure out what to do now that she was seeing him. After all, this was what she’d been waiting for. Talking to him, seeing him, stealthily convincing him to love her for now and all time.

You know, a very simple plan.

He came back out still smiling, a cigarette between his lips and she just stared at him before asking with unshielded disgust. “You smoke?”

And the smile left for an instant before he took a drag and blew the smoke into the air. Without prompt she watched the grey white swirls lay against the royal blue of the sky and disappear up and out into the atmosphere.

True, it was terrible and a nasty habit not to mention, not exactly good for the environment or anyone’s health but when she looked back at him to see his lips wrapped tightly around the filter and his cheeks hollowing as he took another full drag, she could find it’s appeal. At least for watching.

“Not usually,” Spike told her as he studied her eyes letting out another steady stream of ghostly gray. “But occasionally the mood hits me.”

Something in his voice made her smile, but this time a more comfortable smile. There was a quality in his words that rang of their old short conversations in the Desoto coming back from Comm 101. “Like when you’re making a mess of your engine? Didn’t you do enough damage to it with the accident?”

He was indignant. “Not making a mess of her. Just switchin out the spark plugs. All that bloody work and the shop doesn’t change the plugs.” He finished a little angry.

“Pfft. Even I can change spark plugs.” She added with a laugh as she looked him over again. She really liked to just look at him, and on any other day it might have stopped there but there was still that playful side of her that had to wonder about one small detail. “If you’re just changing the plugs why are you all, well, no offence but I think if we rung out that shirt we could clear a pint of oil easy.”

He looked down at himself and had to agree. In a swift motion he pulled the wife beater over his head and threw it on top of the towel in the garage. “Yeah, had a bit of a problem when the tools toppled into the engine. My own bloody fault for putting them up on the battery.”

*System Failure*

HIS. SHIRT. IS. OFF.

*The shut down process will now begin.*

“You didn’t tell me though, what brings you to my neck of the suburbs?” Spike asked her as he noted her licking her lips. She had this sort of ‘not there’ look on her face. He took another drag of his cigarette. Maybe he’d said something wrong, and he really didn’t want to say the wrong thing now that she was here.

*After power down you may reboot.*

“Not that it’s not a nice night for a stroll, and you’re perfectly welcome to come by anytime.” He smiled what he hoped was a polite, inviting smile. The plan was simple. Get closer to Buffy. Be her friend. Then politely wait until she and Xander stopped seeing each other.

Buffy suddenly realized Spike was talking, and she was expected to respond. Her gaze drifted over his torso one more time when Spike motioned at the sky and describing a ‘nice night for a stroll’.

*The system will now reboot.*

His scarred eyebrow went up and his tone suddenly changed. “Hey, how’d you know ‘bout the accident?”

*F8*F8*F2*F2*F6*F6*

*Anything!! Just don’t continue with the current application!!!*

He stood still now, really waiting for an answer and staring right at her. One small kink she still couldn’t predict the outcome of was the Gunn-knows-Spike factor. She didn’t want there to be a problem but she wasn’t sure who to talk to about it. Spike or Gunn? Neither had been her first choice, so she went with choice number three. She’d hoped to avoid the whole thing for as long as possible.

Avoiding didn’t seem to be working out for her lately, she realized.

Buffy hesitated another second before starting. “Gunn, I know Gunn.” She said in a scattered tone.

“You do? Huh, small world.” He brushed it off so quickly that Buffy didn’t even realize she was home free if she just kept her mouth shut.

“We only dated a few weeks, but now we’re good friends.” Even as she heard her words she realized two things. God that was so ‘after school special’ sounding, quickly followed by ‘me and my big mouth’.

Mid drag on the last of his cigarette Spike started coughing. “You-” choke, cough. “You dated him?”

Yup, big gigantic huge-mungous mouth of mine. Thank you. I appreciate all the help. Maybe later we can call Dawn and tell her Fluffy never got sent to a farm to help Mr. McDonald with his mice. Nope, he was run over by the ice cream truck. Stupid cat.

She fidgeted, tugging on her fingers but tried to keep her voice normal. “Yeah. He’s a really great guy.” She shrugged. “Just didn’t work out is all. And like I said, I got a friend out of it so its not like it’s a sad ending or anything.”

“This a few weeks back?” He had to ask. It was the first thing that popped into his head.

She just nodded.

“I see.” He wasn’t sure what to say. Either Xander was very open minded about the girl, or they weren’t dating. That was good news, right?

Well, almost good news. Now there was just one other complication He’d had a whole plan and everything, but how could he chase after her now. Gunn’s ex? You just didn’t do that. It was one of those unspoken rules. No dating your best mate’s exes.

“I need to finish up.” He suddenly said motioning to the car still with its hood up and the light shining from underneath. He tossed the last of his smoke into a rusty coffee can she hadn’t noticed by the opening of the garage.

She followed his hand and nodded again, this time a little defeat marring the movement. “Alright.”

“Shouldn’t take a tick. If you haven’t got any other pressing plans, you want to come in and maybe watch a movie or something? ‘Fraid all I have is beer, milk, and water to offer but seems you and I are just about the only ones left in this burg for the next few days, wouldn’t be right not to entertain each other.”

He was lightheaded by the end of his invitation but he’d said it. Granted, he said it all in one breath afraid to pause long enough for her to turn him down, but he’d gotten it all out. After all, he’d decided it was time to break a few rules. And right now Gunn wasn’t foremost on his mind.

“Oh.” Her eyes were wide and she stared back at the dark windows of his home. A sudden chill ran through her and she knew she was going to accept. “What kind of movie? Cuz I’m not so sure I’m up for any blow ‘em up thrillers tonight.”

Now feeling confident she was on her way to agreeing, he walked back into his garage and towards the hood glad to hear her sandals clapping against the cement as she followed. “Maybe a comedy then? I’ve got a wide selection.” he said as he lifted the hood, freeing it from the long rod that had held it ajar.

She watched the play of muscles under his skin as he walked and moved, reached and twisted while putting everything he’d been using in his mechanics back in its place. She wanted to groan when he bent to retrieve the grease covered remains of his shirt and the towel. The fleshy globes of his buttocks peeking out from the back of his sweats and the sight was quickly acting as a magnet to her fingers now desperate to touch him.

Her voice croaked out the first few syllables before it smoothed out when she made a plea disguised as a suggestion. “How about I pick out some viewing possibilities while you clean up?”

“Fair enough.” He said as he lead her past his car to the door that would take them from the garage into his home. He pressed the glowing red button of the mounted garage door opener on the wall before going inside and holding the door, watching Buffy cross the threshold. There was a soft click as he switched the lights on.

What she saw wasn’t really what she had expected. Not from what she knew of the guy. As she walked through the kitchen she was surprised to see a glass topped wrought iron based kitchenette. Atop it was a bundle of what she assumed where fo-flowers with beautiful shades of purple and reds shooting out from the black vase.

The white tile shone and set off the black faces of the cabinet’s. It was elegant, and sophisticated.

She tried to remain impassive. It wouldn’t help if she told him she was shocked he lived in such a well put together home. For as she looked forward she saw the living room, which was equally well decorated.

The high backed sectional with black smooth fabric covering well stuffed cushions only asked to be lounged on. Just in front there was a coffee table with a glass top to match the kitchenette and iron legs again. Underneath sat familiar plastic boxes and wires of gaming systems.

Spike shut the door behind her and walked in the family room and out of her vision when he went around the corner. “Make yourself comfortable. The movies are in the cabinet by the telly.” He called out.

She walked with measured paces further into his home to be shocked again at the wall of entertainment devices lining the wall.

“Oh my god.” She whispered when the 62” flat screen came into sight along with the shelves of stereo equipment. She let her fingers run along each one. A receiver for what looked to be 7.1 surround sound. Her deduction was confirmed when she took a better look at the walls to see several mounted speakers and the bass amp tucked beside a closed cabinet just along the same wall as the TV.

Spike could see her from his spot in the hall. She was engrossed in the technology, most of which was so up to date that the average consumer wouldn’t consider buying it just yet. But it fascinated her, and that had been part of the point. Of course he also liked the toys, and now he didn’t feel at all bad for splurging, just this once.

But he had to hurry. With clothes in hand he ducked into the room behind him so he could shower.

Buffy’s fascination for all things electronic faltered when the sound of running water sounded from the bathroom. The imaginary visions of a wet, soapy Spike cleaning up made her question the notion of being in his home. Was she really going to be able to stop herself from making a fool of herself or accidentally straddling him in the middle of the show?

“Oh come on Summers, so far you aren’t breaking down the door to the shower.” Which she thought was pretty darn impressive. Either that or downright stupid, because after all just feet away was a wet soapy Spike.

With that in mind she turned her attention to the cabinet she assumed had the movies. The handle made a popping sound as the latched released on the wooden frame and the door swung open. Within were 7 shelves each filled to maximum capacity. “How many DVD’s does he have in here?” She asked the empty room.

To say he had a large number would do no justice to the collection and as she read over the titles she realized he hadn’t been exaggerating. There were historical time period themes next to horror mixed within teen movies and romances and action films. She kept looking over the range of choices, trying to decide on some of the comedic titles scattered throughout.

All the time she was too aware of the water being shut off and the sound of shower curtain rings clanking together as the curtain was opened and closed. She couldn’t help playing out the actions he would be taking in her head.

She could feel her face flame as the images came to her unbidden. Still, she grabbed some movies with titles that seemed familiar. She shuffled them in her hands and sat herself on one end of the plush couch just in time to hear the door in the hallway open before she heard Spike’s bare feet against the hallway’s carpeted floor.

When he walked into the room he wore his more traditional black jeans and a clean black T-shirt with his hair slicked back which relaxed Buffy a little bit. This Spike she could deal with much more easily. This one was more familiar.

He veered into the kitchen and opened the fridge. “Anything to drink for ya?”

“Maybe just some water.” She said, not really wanting beer.

There were a few moments of silence as he grabbed a glass from one of the cabinets and turned on the tap to fill it. He walked back and fell into the middle of the couch after setting the drinks on the table.

He glanced at her hands gripping the stack of DVD cases.

“Let’s see what you picked out.” Spike took the pile from her and perused her choices. There were an array of faces he pulled when he read through her selections. “You sure about this one?” He asked as he held up Waterworld. “Most people don’t fancy it. Isn’t it that one where Costner spent millions and didn’t make hardly anything off it?”

“I think he actually made nothing off of it. I might be wrong, but I don’t think he made enough to break even on the whole thing.” She said trying to remember. “But I always liked it. Just the idea of the earth becoming one big ball of water. Well, almost.” She corrected herself and shrugged. “The story isn’t that great I guess but I still liked the concept for it.” She finished and sat forward to grab her water. She really needed a good gulp right now.

Hell, now he wanted to watch it as well, so he set on the table and pulled put another curious choice. “And this?”

She blushed a little and took another quick sip before grinning, a little at herself this time. “What, Bram Stoker’s Dracula?” She cleared her throat. “I like vampire movies.” Her tone was a little defensive but she smiled.

All the while he seemed to be trying very hard not to laugh. He shook his head a little. “Alright. Drac’s in then.” And he set the case next to Waterworld.

He glanced again at the remaining titles and nearly choked at one of her choices. Instead of asking her about that film he decided to find out her thoughts on The Net first. “You a big Sandra Bullock fan then?”

She glared at him. “No, I’m a cyber geek. It’s all about this cyber girl and how her whole identity is messed with by some big bad guys. It’s good.” She said, eyes serious.

“Supposed I’ll have to give you that one. Birds of a feather and all that.” And he added that to the other two cases on the table.

He still had the last of her choices in his hands, but he was fairly sure she wasn’t aware of her selection’s title. The problem was, he wasn’t so sure he wanted her to realize he had it either. Granted, most of his DVD cabinet was filled with movies he’d just grabbed on his recent shopping spree, but this one he’d had for awhile now. As he deliberated how to ask her how she’d come up with the final choice he reached for his drink, taking a swig to prepare.

“Well I did grab one that’s a total guy movie.” She said as she eyed the small pile on the coffee table. Thankfully her haste to grab the familiar had produced and eclectic array of choices.

So when he took a drink and promptly started choking yet again in a surprised guttural cough she couldn’t imagine what the problem was.

He gasped for air, the beer having gone down the wrong pipe in an embarrassing attempt to hide his shock at her words. He leaned forward and out of habit she immediately thumped his back a couple of times, her palm coming down just between his shoulder blades as she tried to help him compose himself.

“Are you ok?” She asked worriedly.

A few more small gasps and another attempt to clear his throat later, he finally was able to look her in the eyes. “’S just, not sure you’re up for this one.” He said handing her the case for the movie in question.

“I know it’s a war movie, but a good one.” she said matter of factly as she took the case from his hands. “Besides,” She continued now flipping the case over and reading the title. “Saving Ryan’s Privates?!?!” She dropped the case as though it was on fire. “Ok, THAT is not what I thought I picked.” She said very clearly pointing at the offending object now lying on the floor.

When he caught up with what mistake she’d made he had no other option. He gave her a half smile and raised an eyebrow. “So, not really in a porn mood then?”

Looking at him made that question so unfair, because just being around him put her in a porno kind of mood. She shook her head though, mostly to clear it but also to convince him that watching other people satisfying each other wasn’t what she had in mind. “No. No porn tonight, thanks.” She said even though her face flamed red and she could feel her own palms sweating.

A short nod came. “Right then.” He still smiled at the attractive blush that reached past her cheeks and down her neck to hide under the collar of her T. “Waterworld it is.” He declared as he leaned down to retrieve the fallen case.

“Jeezus, girl! What did you do to yourself?”

Buffy looked down at what had caught Spike’s attention to her exposed toes. She remembered scraping them tripping earlier but it hadn’t seemed to be bad. As she stared at the bit of blood crusted at the tip of her big toe, which was an interesting hue of blue, she realized that what felt minor looked terrible. “Oh, eww. That’s embarrassing.”

“Hardly. But I think you’re due a little cleanup yourself.” He announced as he stood and left the room turning towards the bathroom again. “I’ve got some bandages and antiseptic here, someplace.”

There was opening and closing of a drawer and what sounded like the medicine cabinet before she heard him heading back . “Here we go.” He came in with a box of bandages and a brown bottle of what she assumed was hydrogen peroxide along with some cotton. “Should be able to mend you with these.” And set them in a row on the table beside the movies.

“It’s really not that bad, Spike. It just looks, well, gross actually.”

A light chuckle sounded from him as he leaned down and she slipped the sandal from her foot. She immediately crossed her ankle over her knee and took a closer look. The tip of her nail had been bent back, tearing away from the skin.

“Hand it over.” He said crouched beside her now holding a fluff of cotton wet from the peroxide.

She scrunched up her face, attraction momentarily taking a second seat to preparation as she anticipated the sting of the antiseptic. She could feel the light grip of his fingers steadying the heel of her tiny foot just before the cool pressure of cleansing came. She winced slightly and pulled in a breath as the tiny bubbling and cool heat started to tingle around her abused toe.

“It’s not all that bad. Don’t be a baby.” He was grinning at her reaction. She was like a child suddenly, sitting here in front of him. Worn jean cut offs and a well used shirt hanging off her shoulders 2 sizes too big. Hair a little mussed and body scraped as if from playing.

She was endearing. And when her face relaxed to smile at his teasing, there was nothing more in this world he wanted then to be able to kiss her.

It was in his eyes. A look all too familiar to her. One she recalled seeing in the eyes of her clone in the looking glass of her bathroom. The same look she had just before she decided those restrictions she’d put in her head were moot.

That look she got when she finally admitted to herself exactly how much she wanted a chance, just a taste, one small break allowing her to see if anything could happen between them. That look was there staring back once more, but now from liquid azure so deep she knew she could drown in their seas.

His fingers crept slowly from her foot to cradle her calf while his Adam’s Apple bobbed as he tried to swallow his fear. If he didn’t take his shot now, then when?

She could see it coming, his light touch along her skin and the darting of his tongue so quick she might have missed it if there were any way for her to pull her gaze from him. But that was impossible. And when he began to lean forward she could only mimic him in wanting something she’d been waiting a year for.

There was a light knocking at the door before it swung open. “Hey Spike, I was going to go on a food run and wondered-” Gunn came into the door, not seeing the pair at first. But when he turned towards the couch, there they were.

“Buffy? Spike?” He studied their positions. Spike still held Buffy’s calf in his hand as he turned towards the voice of his friend. “What’s going on?”
End Notes:
I promise it wasn't the blondes. LoL Bad Gunn!! Everyone line up for the spanking machine. Gunn, better start crawling through.
Can't Hardly Wait by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
This chapter is a little shorter than the others, but I found myself unable to find a decent cut off point, so hopefully this will work out.
Willow leaned forward perched on Buffy’s couch, eyes wide. “Oh no. What happened?”

Buffy pulled another towel from the basket on the floor as she stood to fold, before laying it atop the small pile on the cushion next to Willow. “Gunn got a look at my toe and I put on the bandage.” She said wiggling her toe for emphasis and instantly regretting it. “Owie.”

Willow was still sitting on the edge waiting for the rest. “And?”

Buffy looked up from the socks she was now trying to mix and match properly. “And what?”

Watching the blonde do her laundry was hardly the entertainment she had been hoping for the day before classes started back up. She was here for details and just when they were becoming increasingly juicy details Buffy starts slacking on the story telling. “What, what? What do you mean, and what? What happened next?”

She rolled a pair of light blue bobby socks together. “They got pizza and I went home.”

“What!?” Willow nearly fell of her seat and had to catch herself before she steadied and went on. “Didn’t Spike shoo him away, or invite you along or something?”

“Well yeah, Gunn actually asked us both to go but it was just too- I don’t know.” She studied the mismatched pair in her hand and tossed them both back into the basket before sitting herself on the floor and looking back at Willow. “It was uncomfortable I guess. I think it would have been no matter who had come. I mean, if it had just been a couple of minutes later…” She sighed and studied her now empty hands.

“Poor Buffy.” Willow’s tiny pout matched her sentiment. “And you haven’t heard from him at all?”

“Nope.”

“Gunn either?”

“Nope again.”

Now with neat stacks of whites laying on the table and couch Buffy started stacking them carefully into the basket. When she was done she finally took the seat next to her friend and leaned heavily into the cushions. “And before you even ask, I’m not calling him. Not yet anyway.”

“But why not?”

“Because Wills, there’s this thing hanging there.” Buffy watched the play of her friend’s features as she tried to follow. “The almost kiss. I don’t know what to say.” She shrugged.

Now understanding, Willow matched Buffy’s slumped pose. “Oh, yeah I guess that’s a tough one.” She thought for a minute before grinning. “You could just march up to his house and tell him you wanted to pick up where you left off. You know, take charge.” She grinned from ear to ear and waited for a reply.

Buffy could only glare. “Hello, have you met me?” She bore down on the now chuckling redhead. “You want me to upgrade your memory? Sure. You want me to set up a server? Happy to do it. Hell, I’ll even back up you’re entire system to antiquated floppies if you give me enough Star Trek to watch while I do it. But I am so-o not the kind of girl who can just walk up to a guy and demand smoochies.”

“You don’t have to demand,” Willow tried to keep a straight face as she spoke. “You could always say, please.” And she burst out into laughter.

Buffy grabbed one of her carefully folded fluffy bath towels keeping an uninterested look on her face and whacked Willow’s side. “Very helpful.”

~~`~~

About 3 seconds after Buffy walked out of Spike’s door.

Gunn stood to the side of the front door still staring at the doorknob before turning back to Spike who was gathering up movies and stowing them into his case beside the widescreen.

Buffy had run out like her rear was ablaze, which would have only matched the pink of her face. Not to mention she barely said a hasty hello or goodbye. There was a light smirk on Gunn’s face by the time Spike picked up the first aid supplies.

He was careful as he spoke. “So, you and Buffy were watching some shows?”

Spike almost dropped the bottle of peroxide at the question but caught it just in time before heading toward the bathroom. “We were about to.” He said while he could remain hidden from his friend standing in his family room.

In the bathroom Spike set everything in its place and took a deep breath before heading to his room to grab his docs. He went back into the living room and sat on the sectional before preparing to leave. “Ital or Chinese?” He asked automatically while he put his boots on.

Gunn still smirked as he rubbed his chin. He was on the verge of bursting. As he watched Spike getting ready there was one very unusual thing about his demeanor. Not only was he half turned away, but the blonde wouldn’t look him in the eye. Barely even faced him really.

It didn’t take the astute man much time to put 2 and 2 together. “I’ll be damned.” He said, teeth bright in contrast to his dark complexion with. “It’s Buffy isn’t it?”

Spike didn’t even look up as he tied the last of his shoelaces. “Don’t know what you’re getting at.”

“Don’t pull that with me, man.” Gunn said and crossed his arms. “This whole makeover thing you have going on in here, it’s about her isn’t it?”

He sat up now, unable to do much more than give Gunn the respect due as his friend and stared him down. “What if it is?”

At this Gunn let his hands drop to the side and gave Spike a quick nod. “Who’s got a better IN than me? If you want to try for Buffy, who else better suited to facilitate that merger?” He asked with grin.

Now Spike was somewhere between Confused Blvd. and Relieved Av. “You don’t mind then?”

Now turning serious Gunn stared him down. “You gonna be nice to her? Get her flowers, pull out her chair and open the door for her?”

“What? Yeah I supo-”

“Don’t forget her birthday either. Oh and the kids-”

“Kids? Wait a minute. I’m just trying to get a bloody date here.” Spike said now trying to get Gunn’s attention. The mirth in Gunn’s eyes finally clued Spike onto the fact that his friend was having a little fun at his expense. “Very funny.”

“I thought so.” Gunn shoved his hands into the loose pockets of his jeans. “So why did you just let her leave?”

Spike stood at that. “Because, my best mate walked in and busted up the moment, didn’t he?”

Gunn stared back at the door again before shaking his head. “Damn man, you could have said something.”

With a wave of his hand Spike turned and grabbed his duster from the back of a kitchen chair. “S’all right. Knew this was going to be tricky.”

Gunn followed Spike through the house into the garage. Apparently the blonde had decided he was going to drive. The garage door opened automatically with the push of a button and Gunn caught a glimpse of his truck parked at the curb. “So, what’s your plan then?”

Spike stared blankly at the dark eyes of his friend. “Plan?”

~~`~~

A sudden gust of wind shook the branches and ruffled the green leaves high above his head as Spike strolled up to Buffy’s door Wednesday afternoon. He’d waited until school had started back up. What could he say? He was being a complete coward about the whole thing.

He’d tried to call. Several times in fact, but each time he held his phone he just couldn’t figure out what to say to the girl. He was caught between apologizing for trying to kiss her and asking her out. So he’d decided on a compromise. One that, strangely as it turns out, Gunn had suggested.

He looked down at the bundle of fresh cut daisies set off by baby’s breath and sprigs of tiny orange flowers he didn’t know the name of. He had been going for sweet and thoughtful, having remembered her say something about how she loved daisies.

Attached was a small card artfully decorated with what appeared to be lazy light random red brush strokes. Inside it simply said, “I never liked interruptions.”

This was the part he didn’t care for, the anonymity. But he‘d already admitted he was scared. This was his best option.

She wasn’t home. He knew she wouldn’t be thanks to Gunn’s knowledge of her schedule. After some consideration he set the bundle to lean slightly against the door’s jam. The porch was well sheltered from any errant wisps of air and if they did fall over they would by lying at her doorway. No way she could miss them.

Letting out a heavy exhale he turned around and headed back towards his car. He still had a paper to turn in and a lecture to survive.

With a final glance back at the bright colors against the shadows of the overhang he backed out, once again taking note of that final bounce as his car left her driveway.

~~`~~

Willow, Gunn and Buffy were all surrounding a small table out in the quad with books open and notes held down by cool drinks in the warm sun. She had gotten the flowers yesterday and still wished the card had been signed. It irritated her. She was 80% sure they were from Spike, but the note was vague enough that she kept glancing up at Gunn at regular intervals. And if the surprise on her front stoop had been from Gunn, what did it mean?

She was watching as he tried to map out possible network configurations. It was fairly basic stuff to her, but some of the examples were a little confusing. “So then this one here would be star topology.” He stated pointing at one of the diagrams showing an icon in the middle with 7 lines shooting off to pictures of desktops PCs.

She smiled. “You got it.”

He mirrored her grin. “Alright. I’m the man.” He closed his book and glanced between the two girls. “You know you wanna say it.”

They shared a look before echoing. “You’re the man.”

“I’m a man too.” Xander said and he dropped his books between Gunn and Buffy. “What do we need men for? Heavy lifting? Possibly a swimsuit contest needs judging?”

Gunn shook his head. “Stop now, while your only this far behind.” He stated holding his hands wide.

“Can do.” Xander agreed easily as he sat down on the bench in the space Buffy and Gunn had made for him. “So, weekend, plans. Do we have any?”

Willow perked up. “I heard about this documentary about the rise and fall of-” She saw the three glares turn on her at lightning speed. “A place that I can learn about on my own and not on Friday night.”

Buffy gave the deflated redhead a sympathetic look. “Sorry Wills, but personally I need a night out. We’ve been watching movies almost every weekend. And last weekend,” She glanced back at Willow, afraid to look at Gunn. “Totally bored.”

“You guys thinking’ Cypher?” Gunn asked.

“Oh! There could be dancing.” Willow said now grinning madly.

“Pool.” The men agreed simultaneously and then shared a very manly moment involving low shared laughter and a high five.

“Don’t forget a night at the races.” Buffy joined them in their excitement. “So it’s settled. Tomorrow night, we get pretty to party.”

Gunn rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Some of us are always pretty.”

Willow rolled her eyes and looked at her watch. “Jeez. I’m late. I have to run.” She dropped her things into her satchel quickly with organized and practiced ease. “I’ll let Oz know the plan. See ya tomorrow.” And she dashed away.

“We probably better head out too. “Xander said to Buffy. They had separate classes but in the same building just 1 room apart.

She gathered her things along with Xander. “Gunn, why don’t you meet up at my house. About 9?”

“Sure thing.” He watched the pair walk away and towards their classes. When he knew they were out of earshot he pulled his cell from his trouser’s pocked and hit a few keys before holding it against his ear.

A few seconds passed. “Yeah, hey. So what you doin’ tomorrow, man?”

~~`~~

Buffy waved at Lorne as she stepped of the bus and headed home. It was a short 2 block walk but she enjoyed the slow pace she’d set for herself as she cradled her books in her arms.

She watched the local kids as they rode their bikes and bounced basketballs running along the pavement. Some loose hair that had escaped the binding of her ponytail was tickling her nose and she could hear the faraway chimes of an ice-cream truck hoping to coax the spending money of children from their pockets.

When she headed up the drive her eyes sensed the gleam from up ahead and she looked to see what had caused it.

This time, in place of the flowers was a bundle of balloons. Reflective silvers and pinks mixed with purples tumbled against each other in the minor shifting of air causing the sun to highlight the smooth surface. It was just all very, “Shiney.”

She smiled a little confused when she walked up the porch steps and tugged on the colored ribbons anchoring the pretty balloon bouquet to, of all things, a stuffed red teddy bear sporting horns on its hear with “Little Devil” written across its tiny white tummy in flowing black thread-sewn script.

It was all very, cute.

As she pulled the teddy bear from the ground the balloons bounded upwards and settled against the porch’s ceiling. Afraid now that her surprise gift might bust she unlocked the door and carefully pulled the floating globes of color away from the wooden rafters above.

This was even stranger than the flowers, she thought to herself as she pulled a card that had been tucked between the stuffed animal’s horns. This time the card with the same brush design as the flowers read, “Tomorrow night.”

Her face fell. Her stomach felt like it was being tugged in several directions. Now holding the small massage she turned it over a few times, hoping the square of thick paper would reveal something else.

The only people she would be seeing tomorrow night were her friends, and she really couldn’t see Gunn, of all people, sending her such a strange token. Balloons were usually for Get Well’s ads Sweet 16’s. Not really the normal wooing effort of the adult crowd.

Not that she cared, she always wanted to get balloons. She remembered seeing other girls getting them is school when she was younger, but her mom always thought flowers were more respectable. Not that Buffy really disagreed but, she was always a little jealous of the balloon receivers.

As she set the bundle, still held captive by the bear, down on the couch with her books Buffy could only think of one person she’d really shared that with, other than Willow of course.

She’d only mentioned it once, in fact she couldn’t remember what had sparked the conversation as they’d headed for class a year ago but she’d mentioned how she liked the silly sentiment of flowers versus balloons. And once Buffy remembered, she also recalled mentioning her penchant for daisies as well.

It wasn’t exactly irrefutable evidence but she was now 98% sure Spike was behind the impromptu gifts.

Once again her face fell. “Holy crap!”

It was one thing to decide she was going to go for it, it was a whole other thing to find out he’d decided the same thing. Instead of relief she was suddenly full of nerves and fear. Without a second to lose Buffy jumped up and grabbed her phone from the kitchen before quickly dialing.

She paced back and forth now staring down the bundle of flowers she’d put in a clear crystal vase on her kitchen table. Finally the phone was answered. “Willow, help.” She squeaked out.

~~`~~

Buffy watched as her books tumbled from the desk to fall in a fanning design across the low carpet. It was just one of those days. It seemed she couldn’t walk properly, type right or even form well thought out sentences and now even inanimate objects seemed to be contributing to her clumsy day.

She pushed herself up from her seat and crouched down only to feel her pants snag on one of the handles on the chair that normally helped to adjust the seat for comfort. There was a ripping sound before Buffy could stop it.

She twisted to see her back pocket, now half torn away from her backside. “Just perfect.” She said before just letting herself sit firmly on the floor.

If her day continued like this, it might just be safer for everyone if she locked herself inside until midnight. And she really couldn’t do that. Not tonight. And after making Willow come over until they had picked out the perfect outfit, she doubted she’d be given the choice to stay home.

She just had to get all of the ridiculous bad luck stuff out of the way now. It was her only real option.

She gathered up her books once again and set them carefully at her spot in the computer lab just in time to see Fred walk in carrying her notepad as she wrote not looking up. “Hi Buffy.”

The blonde now standing and arranging herself behind the laptop used for lessons and planning eyed her books just waiting for them to jump from the table again. “Hey Fred.”

The tone in her voice made the professor look up from her scribbling. “Everything alright?”

“Just one of those days.” Buffy said, the corners of her mouth quirking up.

Fred put her notepad down and pulled out the thick instructors copy of the text for an upcoming class. “At least it’s Friday.” Fred replied now sporting a full smile of her own.

“It sure is.” Buffy said almost to herself.

Fred quickly flipped through the pages of her book until she reached the page she was searching for and made a few more notations on her notepad. “Well, I’m sure you’ll have bundles of fun with your friends. A good time out is all you need.”

Buffy nodded and brought up the PowerPoint for the instructor’s final class of the day. “Normally I’d agree, and you’re probably right. It’d just be nice not to accidentally fall on my face walking up the stairs.”

“Oh, you’ll be fine. Everybody gets a bout of clumsy once in awhile.”

Buffy simply nodded as she settled herself in her seat, preparing to check the visual aid and she promptly missed the chair finding herself on the floor again.

“Of course sometimes it’s worse than others.” Fred said, her tiny nose scrunched up as she took in Buffy’s position on the ground. “Maybe I better run the PowerPoint today, you think?”
End Notes:
This is almost over. I want to say again just loads of thanks to everytsingle reader and and special thanks to everyone who took the few minutes to let me know what they thought. This has been great fun so far. I hope yall can stick around for another week for the exciting (I hope) conclusion.
Love Actually by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
Ok, here is a rewritten version. The chapter is stil the same but I think there is a better flow. Adn also an Epilogue is also going to close this up and hopefully give everyone a little soemthing more.
The day hadn’t gone any smoother. Buffy missed her bus by minutes and had to wait an extra hour before heading home for the weekend. Because of this, she was stuck with one of the few drivers that really grated on her nerves, but Buffy was determined to keep her good mood.

The cranky woman at the wheel was too stern to be reasonable. She was never friendly and Buffy had guessed that whatever muscles were required for smiling, this old woman definitely had been born without. Still, the blonde ignored all this. Instead she concentrated on getting home and getting ready.

Unfortunately dear old Maggie absolutely refused to stop at Buffy’s normal corner. Granted it wasn’t technically a designated stop along the route, but it was along the same path and cut out the crossing of a never tamed lawn.

So she had inevitably tracked a substantial amount of mud into her home despite shedding her now filthy sneakers on the stoop. The end result of sinking within the gooey nearly black muck of the only open lot between the regulated bus drop off and her neighborhood.

Not only had she been running later than she’d have liked but the floor needed cleaning before her friends showed up.

She was down to 20 minutes before Willow was due to show by the time she was able to step into the tub.

Now with her hair curled and off her shoulders Buffy tried again to line her eyes while Willow sat on the bathtub’s edge. The redhead wrapped in a full length dark blue velvety long sleeved dress kept herself occupied perusing the eye shadow choices within the makeup case as Buffy tried to finish getting ready. “I swear the universe is trying to tell me something, Wills.”

Willow looked up only to see Buffy smudge the liner once again. “You’re just busy in your head. You need to relax, and quit talking so much. Just open your mouth and stare.”

Buffy set the pencil down and grabbed a washcloth from the sink’s edge before leaning forward and dabbing carefully at her eye as she watched her reflection. “This isn’t preoccupation, or improper application. This is a balancing issue.”

“Karma again?” Willow asked with a quirked grin. “Last time it was Riley. Let me guess, Gunn?”

Buffy was running the pencil along her upper lid finally getting to the other side in a straight shot. She took a step back and smiled at her work. “No, its just making sure I appreciate things I think.”

It was then Willow realized something. Her friend who had shared the string of strangely bad things that had happened to her through her day seemed pretty upbeat. “And how did you come to that conclusion?”

Buffy smiled at herself again as she plucked the misty grey silver color from Willow’s hands and brushed it smoothly on her lids. “When I was waiting for the bus actually.”

Willow now ran her fingers along the lipstick choices, taking out a favorite of the blonde. “Hmm, I guess all that waiting around does give you time to think.”

Buffy gave the light pink gloss held by her friend a passing glance while she remembered stepping up to her bus stop only to see it up the road, already having passed. At the time it had been rotten luck, and then things changed very quickly.

“Oh, come on!!” She yelled at the exhaust she could barely make out from blocks up the road. Some jerk in a red I’m-making-up-for-other-shortcomings sports car honked at her as it drove by. It was the perfect end to a perfect day. And now she had to wait for another bus.

With a low growl she turned back up the sidewalk towards the school. If she was stuck waiting for another hour she might as well get something to drink. Normally she wouldn’t bother but with the series of events from the day she thought a little sugar high was earned and due.

The line of vending machines next to the posters and bulletin boards were a welcome sight to her. As she looked over her choices, trying to decide between a grape or orange she heard a familiar pair of voices.

“No. She hasn’t said a word.” Gunn’s voice was coming closer and she frantically looked for a place to duck into when she heard the answering words.

“But you’re sure she’s planning to go?” Spike asked as he stepped up to the machine dispensing juices and slid in a bill.

Buffy hid around the edge of a tower covered in papers advertising everything from used couches and books to employment opportunities. She tried to appear as though she was looking over the adds while passers by gave her funny looks.

She peeked around the edge to see the two men’s backs.

“We’re all meeting up at her place. Xander’s doing the designated driver thing. It‘s all worked out.”

Spike made his choice and waited for the thud of the plastic bottle dropping into the shoot. “I just hope I’m not making a bloody fool of myself. “ He said as he grabbed the tomato juice from the opening of the vending machine and popped the top taking a large gulp.

Gunn didn’t see what the big deal was. “She’s single, you’re single. You like her and from the way she’s been acting the last few days my guess is the feeling’s mutual.” Quite frankly after he thought about it, a lot of things made more sense. Like her interest in Spike’s girlfriend and wanting to invite him over. Not big things really but a lot of other little things that added up to a simple conclusion. There was really no doubt the feeling was mutual.

Buffy watched as the pair walked away, now discussing when Spike would show up and Buffy walked hurriedly back to the bench at the bus stop. Sure there was a wait but she could deal with it. She had happy thoughts to keep her busy.

Grinning now with a dreamy look on her face Buffy shuffled through the case on Willow’s lap grabbing a dark shade of red. The maroon was applied evenly and with a light dab of a tissue Buffy smiled back at the overall look she’d managed.

Willow looked up at the smoky eyes and the glint within them. “Well you certainly seem to be preparing to appreciate something.” She said with a little giggle in her tone.

Yeah the look was a little further than the blonde would usually take it, but somehow getting ready for someone in particular had brought it out of her. There was just one small problem.

She quirked her head at the clone. Her eyes traveling over her face to her neatly curled tresses and immediately began plucking the carefully pinned curls from her head.

“Buffy? What are you doing?” Willow asked wide eyed and a little frantic. The hair had taken them nearly an hour alone.

When the locks were free she ran her fingers through the curls separating them, leaving them waving and whirling down her back. She took some time to fluff out a few errant hairs but in the end she preferred the wild look that added to her red leather pants and black crisscross halter.

Maybe Willow was at least half right. She wasn’t so much getting ready to appreciate something, so much as preparing to be appreciated.

A slow smile spread across her face

OK, she was definitely planning to do some appreciating as well.

~~`~~

Gunn leaned against the wall just outside Spike’s bathroom trying to hold in his laughter. “You’re sure about this?”

Spike looked over his shoulder, sparing a glance for his friend while he contemplated his look. It was a bold choice, and he knew it. Something he’d never had dared try to pull off in LA, but Spike was still working on which rules to break. Not all of them had to be between good and bad. Some were more serious undertakings. Major life changes to be carefully scrutinized and studied before a final decision could be made.

He left the top two buttons lying open and judged the effect again for himself. What he wore tonight was heavily influenced by a few moments as he drove Buffy back from class the first time. That was the day the sky couldn’t decide between snow or rain once speech session was over, the day with her computer and he with an ironing board.

Those ridiculous demonstration speeches still gave him a laugh. But after all was said and done that day was one of the few days he could recall her revealing a few preferences she had on his look. Although it was a sideways compliment wrapped in a mild joke.

That weather had in many ways been a godsend. At least as far as he was concerned. Even if it did render the gel in his hair useless, because that day after they scrambled through the water falling from the sky he had tried to brush off the wet and snow from his hair only to leave his hair in a mess of curls.

And then she said something so offhandedly he had dismissed it at the time. After all, he was fully aware that Buffy had no interest in him, couldn’t possibly have meant anything by it. But in a new light there seemed to be a hidden meaning to the simple, “You know, the wet look suits you. Now all you need is one of those freshly pressed dress shirts and you’re all set.”

He had smirked at her and quickly turned the key to get the heater running. Never giving it a second thought. That was until he got home about an hour ago and stood before the mirror wet with his platinum curls going which ever way they wished.

Granted, he felt a little ridiculous after using his gel, not to tame his wild mop, but to help maintain his hair’s haphazard design. And the smooth black rayon of his shirt seemed too light against his skin, but after all he had a reason to change things up a bit. “Sure may be too strong a word.” Spike admitted to his friend. “But worth a try, I‘m hoping.”

~~`~~

He was at it again. That was all Buffy could think as she watched her friend staring down a brunette sitting at a table sipping on a wine cooler. The very same brunette with the very same tattooed boyfriend shooting pool just 2 tables away.

“Xander, you’re really going to have to do something about that eye problem.” She said so him while Gunn set himself up for a shot at their table.

He was smitten though, hardly hearing her comment. “Yeah, good idea.” He nodded and kept staring.

“Xander.” Willow gave him a harsh whisper that still didn’t catch his attention.

The girls shared a rolling of the eyes before Buffy took another sip of her cola followed by. “I guess I’ll just put my shirt back on then.”

That had Xander whipping his head around at breakneck speed. “What?”

“It’s your shot, man.” Gunn came up to the group standing around one of the tall tables scattered around the area for the players.

The lost look on Xander’s face left slowly as he tried to figure out what he’d missed, but he stood and ambled his way to the table before deciding on his shot.

“What’s up with him?” Gunn asked and settled his que against the table’s edge lightly.

“Leggy brunette, far corner.” Oz answered nodding is head in the direction of said female.

Gunn took a quick look and smiled back at the group still minus a Xander taking his shot. “Who? Anya?”

“So that’s my girl’s name?” Xander asked and nodded to Buffy. “Your shot.”

Buffy quickly grabbed her stick and looked over the situation of the colored spheres spotting the green felt of the surface while continuing with the conversation. “Well ‘your girl’ still has a hulk following her around.”

Gunn chuckled at that. “Frank? Yeah he’s big, but not that bright. Still, he’s a good guy. Just overprotective about family.”

Xander took a glance back at his girl still sitting alone while a group of men along with Frank played their game. “What do you mean, family?”

“She’s his baby cousin.” Gunn clarified. “Kind of all the family they have left here in town.”

“So, the question is, is she single?” Xander asked, a hopeful look in his eyes.

“Far as I know.” Gunn told him. “I haven’t really talked to her since last semester but I think with ‘Olaf’ around all the time, guys jut don’t have the nerve to talk to her.” He nodded back at the single occupant at the table.

Xander took an extra long drink of his beer, finishing it off and followed it with a deep breath. “Well, maybe I can fix that.”

Everyone gave him a disbelieving look, even Oz.

He took little notice and stood up before heading towards the lonely woman.

With no discretion whatsoever all eyes remained on the young man as he walked with what he hoped was confidence to Anya who only just noticed his approach before setting her drink down and smiling.

The audience watched on while Xander talked to her, pointing to the pool tables and then to her drink. Anya nodded and smiled and Xander pulled a seat up next to hers before sitting down.

“Looks like she doesn’t mind the company.” Willow commented as Anya smiled again and laughed at something Xander had said.

Buffy watched, a little jealous that is seemed so easy for everyone else. Willow met Oz and BAM, it was love. Xander walks up to a random female, tells a joke and gets to talk to his dream girl. And here she was just waiting.

It grated on her nerves.

She checked the neon blue clock on the wall. She had all reason to believe Spike was supposed to show up. She’d heard it for herself but they’d already been playing pool for nearly two hours. Still no sign of her dream guy.

“Well Wills, looks like its you and me against these two jokers.” She said trying to throw on a happy go lucky grin.

They gathered the balls again and the four remaining set up for another game, none of them aware of the pair of eyes staring from the doorway of the game room.

After nearly an hour of staying just inside the main room of the club and lingering at the bar thinking, he’d come to one very clear conclusion. He had absolutely no idea how to approach her.

Leaving secret presents on the doorstep was one thing. Actually facing her was another. It didn’t help matters that she’d obviously dressed to make a man forget how to speak. There was just too much skin exposed for him to keep his mind clear. Especially when she turned her back on him to take a shot at the game. The line of her naked back curving into the low leather that molded to her ass drew his eyes in, while shutting off all logical thought.

So instead he watched her as she smiled and played. Even if she was covered in clothing that begged to be ripped off, she was still the same woman. A light spirit and an easy personality.

It was when she glanced at the clock overhead and frowned that his attitude changed. It was something subtle in her movements as her shoulders fell a little and her smile seemed forced that he started to walk from the doorway and towards the group.

He kept a slow pace over the short distance so the inevitable did happen as Buffy turned to break, que in hand bending low to gain a better view of her target. He stopped short just at her line of sight past the neatly racked setup.

Buffy’s eyes were trained on the white ball as she pulled her hand back with the stick held firmly in hand. She took another confirming look at the triangle’s apex and saw the movement just beyond. She could only see the strong thighs in black denim but she knew in an instant who it was and involuntarily took an extra peek at his groin before quickly straightening and feeling her cheeks heat up.

Bad eyes. Jeez Buffy.

“Hey Spike.” Gunn greeted him with a broad smile.

“Spike?” Willow blurted out and glared at Buffy who was just standing there holding the que. Realizing that Buffy was basically stuck, the redhead rushed to her side and gave her a quick elbow to her side.

The blonde jerked as she woke. “Yeah, hey Spike.” She turned swiftly to Willow. “Spike, this is Willow. Willow, this is Spike.” She sputtered out in jerky syllables.

With the open grin all received Willow smiled. “Hiya.” She gave him a little wave.

“Red.” He nodded.

Oz came up beside his girl. “Oz here.”

Spike gave him a nod as well and turned to Gunn, still quite proud of himself for getting this far. “Got room for another player?”

Willow suddenly blurted out. “I want to dance. I think dancing is good. Oz want to dance?” She had obviously had either too much alcohol or too much caffeine.

Buffy turned at the strange declaration. After all they had just decided on another game. Plus Willow was giving Oz strange looks that closely resembled pleading. Buffy quirked her head to the side trying to figure out what was wrong with her best friend.

“I-I guess.” He answered confused and staring back at the bouncing database designer. No sooner had he answered then he felt Willow grab hold of his arm and coaxed him away.

He tried to give the others parting words, but all he managed was. “Dancing.”

“That was weird.” Buffy remarked as she watched the pair disappear into the crowd.

Neither Spike or Buffy noticed Gunn checking the time while gulping down the dregs of his screwdriver. “Well I’ve got to head off.” He announced still mid-swallow.

“What?” Both blondes glared at him in an instant.

It was all Gunn could do not to comment on the matched looks of horror staring at him. “I’m meeting up with someone by the computers in about 5. Sorry.” He shrugged and took off leaving Buffy holding the que alone.

All Spike could say was, “That blightly bugger.”

She shifted the wood in her hands not quite sure what to make of what happened and quietly plotting slow deaths to all of her friends, because she had a pretty good idea of why everyone suddenly ran.

She looked back up at the object of nearly every lusty thought her mind had conjured in the last year and tried to smile. She looked him over again then, and realized that he looked somehow different before she realized he was different.

Subtle changes, but noticeable as she genuinely smiled at the mop on his head. Messy and sexy as hell. That, and also the duster was gone tonight, but then again so was his usual T. Instead the shining black fabric of his button down was left a little open a the top revealing a hint of his muscular chest.

This only reminded her of what he looked like greasy and sweaty and shirtless.

She felt her face heat up and had to blink a few times before she remembered where she was. She was in trouble, but it was the kind of trouble she’d been hoping for.

~~`~~

Gunn caught up with Willow and Oz just past the arch into the main floor. “You think they caught on?”

“I’m pretty sure we are in a lot of trouble.” Willow said now a little worried.

“Buffy’s pretty smart.” Oz nodded.

Gunn looked past them towards the line of computers to see his date smiling shyly. “Yeah well, someone had to do something.” He took a few steps away from the redhead duo really not paying them much heed. “Speaking of which, I’ve got a little something to work out of my own.” And with that he left them with a wide grin.

Willow watched as he strode to a familiar woman with long brown hair, though she couldn’t remember where she’d seen the woman before. With a little frown she turned back to her boyfriend. “When he called earlier I thought he wanted to do this for Buffy and Spike. You don’t think he just set that up for his own kissy plans? Do you?”

Oz leaned in and gave her a soft kiss to the corner of her down turned lips. “Maybe it was a little of both.”

~~`~~

Spike strode up towards her, forcing himself to approach her. After all, she was why he was here. “I suppose that just leaves us.” He said in broken voice. He tried not to stare at her, but was failing miserably.

She swallowed hard. “Us?”

He was coming closer. Much closer than was necessary just to converse. And of course, just for added kick he had to be giving her that half hidden smile.

“For a game?” He said too busy trying to shield his own nerves to see hers. “If you still wanted to play that is?” He stopped in front of the pool table, pretending to chose one of the que sticks that had been left behind by her friends.

The thing was, playing pool was the last thing she felt like doing. And why did he have to have this effect on her all the time? Sometime lust was debilitating.

She watched him as he tested out a few of the well shaped and balanced pieces of wood. His fingers ran along each carved length before he rolled them one at a time back and forth. Then he lifted one, testing its weight. He seemed to be taking his time.

She had to swallow again, watching his fingers play and test while she remembered a particular dream involving his fingers playing with her.

“Actually, I’m not really in the mood for pool anymore.” She blurted out, her breath hitching when she realized she’d spoke out loud.

He turned to her, head cocked to the side. “Well then, luv, what are you in the mood for?”

“Such a loaded question.” She mumbled shaking her head and looking down. Even with the knowledge that he was here in the hopes of seeing her didn’t help to lessen the fear she had. Her very bones seemed to vibrate with her nervousness.

Spike had heard her though, and despite his own trepidation he took a few steps forward and took the que she was twisting within her fingers from her. She looked up as he set it aside just in time for the gentle kiss against her surprised lips.

It was soft, and sweet yet mirrored so much of her own unleashed questions and need. A whirl of emotions spiraled through her body through such a simple and seemingly innocent gesture. The sheer enjoyment of finally getting that taste made her dizzy and only unleashed the deeper desires she’d tried so hard to hide.

When he pulled back she opened her eyes wide, still unsure if what had happened was real or not. “Was that-” He seemed to study her. “Was that alright?”

She nodded dumbly for a second completely unable to process what had happened. She stared up into his bluer than blue eyes and saw for the first time a mirrored image in the shining surface.

She not only saw a tiny image of herself, but the look of his eyes and for the first time she realized that he was just as scared as she.

Her head was still nodding her acceptance of his short kiss, then shook her head to the negative, now turning her lips into a small pout.

His face was crestfallen as he watched her change her mind. “Oh.” He said now feeling like the fool he had feared he would be. He turned away from her.

She smiled a little at him and reached up to place her hand gently on his cheek. She slowly turned him back to face her. “I just meant, you stopped before I was done.”

A crease formed between his brows as he soaked in her words. Then he promptly smiled and took her in his arms before kissing her thoroughly.

This time he was determined not to hold back. If she was going to allow him the opportunity, then he was finally going to know how she would feel and taste.

He took her lips with authority, now more confident that she didn’t object to the attention. Each smooth pass of her soft lips had him on edge. He couldn’t get close enough to her like this. He was begging internally for some sign the he was granted entrance as he suckled on her swollen mouth.

The moment came when a small sigh sounded from her, giving him the space to slip his tongue within her heated cavern. She didn’t miss a beat quickly entangling him in a battle of want and waiting.

Ages passed in the noisy room while people walked by, some ignoring or giggling at the couple who obviously were in need of a room. Others gawked and cat called. By the time they pulled apart nearly all eyes were attempting to appear as though they hadn’t been observing the passion on display.

Now trying to catch her breath Buffy stared up into those blue eyes looking down on her like she was the gift sent down from a dream.

“Bit better then?” He asked with half a smile.

“Much.” She couldn’t help but agree a little out of breath. “But you know what they say about practice.” She slid her hands up from his chest and over his shoulders to hold him just that much closer.

As she looked over his smiling face she remembered there was still one nagging question she just had to ask. “Spike, just how old are you anyway?”

He pulled back slightly to take a cleared look at her face, concerned his answer may alter the situation in a bad way. What he saw was simple curiosity, so he answered her. “26,why?”

She thought for a moment before nodding. “ No reason, just wondering.” And she pulled him back down for another kiss.
End Notes:
I hope that was a better effort. I never really cared for the way the ending read, and now I'm a bit happier but still had more to add so... NEXT
Spuffy - Epilogue by Kaylorin
Author's Notes:
I really felt that, due to reviews and my own feelings on the end of this story, that the last chapter needed a rewrite and an epilogue was required. It just had to be done. So I did. LoL
Spring Break/ about 6 mos later

The sun beat down on the beach babies scattered across the sand. The barest hint of a breeze cooling the bronzing skin on display as far as the eye could see. Bikinis and briefs were the most common costume for the impromptu gatherings that would only last one more day and night and then it would be back to the grind once again.

Buffy sat up and dusted the sand from her hands as she slid her sunglasses onto her face before looking out to the rolling surf as it foamed and crashed while easing its way onto the beach then out again.

Her friends had, thankfully, all stayed close to town for the holiday. Willow and Oz had opted to stay and visit the usually absent family of Rosenberg’s. Of course that plan evaporated after one formal meal with her overly uptight mother scoffing at the idea of a young man taking a Liberal Arts Major seriously.

That had been bad enough, but then the truth of Oz playing in a band came out, which erupted into an argument that had made Willow do something she’d never really done before. She told Mrs. Rosenberg exactly where she could shove her opinions and which horse to ride out on before leaving with Oz trying his best to politely say “goodbye and nice to meet you” which didn‘t really work.

Needless to say, Willow decided the next visit with her mother could wait for a few more weeks, or maybe years.

The redhead was now sitting on the beach, mint green bikini top and a pair of matching shorts on as she typed on her laptop. She was babbling on about her project due at the end of the semester, not even noticing the look of love and adoration coming from the male beside her watching her as she worked. But every now and then she would look up, smile, and give Oz the barest of kisses.

Buffy grinned at the pair and looked again into the water ahead. She soon saw Xander run by with Anya chasing him close behind with, of all things, a bucket. She watched the pair as they laughed and Xander tried to get away, although Buffy suspected he wasn’t trying that hard when Anya finally caught him after he fell into the sand.

The statuesque brunette stood over her boyfriend, still laughing and dumped the entire bucket over his head, soaking him with the ocean’s water.

It didn’t take long for Anya to jump back and start running in the direction from which she’d come, soon followed by the now bucket toting Xander. “No you don’t!” He yelled and stopped long enough to fill the plastic child’s toy again before taking off.

“Aren’t you guys supposed to be too mature for all that?” A voice called from Buffy’s other side.

Dawn laid out in her yellow one piece, matching sunglasses in place and for all intents and purposes seeming quite relaxed and uninterested by her older sister’s friends antics.

Buffy looked again and spied a dark object against the light and realized it was Gunn. Or to be pore precise, it was Gunn’s head sticking up from the sand.

Buffy pulled her darkened glasses down her nose to get a better look. True to her first glimpse, Gunn had been buried up to his head by Fred who was kneeling beside him with a pleased smile on her face.

It was easy to see the grin he gave back and a part of Buffy couldn’t help but share their happiness. They’d only been out in the open for a few months now and the pure joy of not having to hide their feelings had only solidified them.

Fred giggled again and placed a sweet kiss on Gunn’s shaved head before starting to dig him out.

Buffy pushed her frames back into place and leaned back into the chair. “You just don’t understand is all.” Buffy pronounced to her idle sister. “Love makes you do silly, immature and childish things.” She grinned at her own inactions of late.

“And lust after silly, immature and childish men.” She heard from behind and turned to see her own Adonis walking across the sand to her. He leaned down, peaking his head between Buffy and Dawn before laying a gentle kiss on Buffy’s exposed shoulder. “Which works out nicely for us childish men.” He tucked his tongue behind his teeth and gave her a hungry leer.

She noticed, almost without looking, his eyes eating up her naked skin glimmering from the heat and sun block. “And don’t you start with that. We are here to commune with nature and enjoy the presence of friends and Dawn.”

She could hear her sister laughing and watched as Spike turned to face the giggling woman who only glanced between the two blondes. “I don’t think its possible for him to look at you any other way Buffy.” She smiled as her sister reddened. “I mean, after a week visiting, I don’t think I’ve seen either of you last more than a few hours before you have to rush off.” She stated and watched as she received blank looks.

“You know? Run off, gone for an hour? Then come back all-” The teasing younger sister had to giggle as she remembered when Buffy had come back up from “folding laundry” in the basement to have on a different pair of shorts and her tank top on inside out. “Disheveled.” She said, laughing again.

Dawn waited for the blank looks to change, then all at once Spike turned back to Buffy. “I suppose that means from now on, we want a shag, we just announce it to the nibblet and head off.”

“Hey! No, no!” Dawn quickly protested. “I didn’t say that. You guys just keep faking the covert thing. I’m good.” She tried to make it very clear and even ended her words with a double thumbs up. “Good plan. Glad we are all in agreement.” She then promptly laid back into her chair and begged the subject was closed.

Buffy gave him a chastising look. He simply shrugged and took note that the brunette was at least being quiet.

“Spike?”

All eyes at what had been deemed base camp looked to see who was calling. It was Spike who stood though and trotted the short distance to the man, a few inches taller than himself. “Clem, I didn’t even recognize you, mate.” He said and gave the stranger a pat on the back.

Clem returned the greeting and the two men started talking.

Dawn raised her shades, sliding them back over her long hair and leaned in closer to her sister. “Who’s that?”

Buffy shrugged. “No clue.” She said and turned to her sister who’s eyes were positively glued on the good looking mystery man. A knowing smile spread on her face and she called out to the men. “Spike, why not introduce us to your friend?”

Both men looked back and soon Spike was leading Clem to the group. After a little shuffling A space was made for the men between the two sisters. “This here’s Clem. Worked with me in LA, at the deli delivering a few years back.”

Buffy smiled up at the newcomer. “Hi Clem, I’m Buffy.” She said and went down the row. “Oz, Willow, and that’s Dawn.” She said ending with an unusually quiet brunette who at least was nodding.

Spike took a moment to strip down to the red Speedo he knew Buffy preferred and gave her a wink while Clem slipped his polo over his head leaving him in the long jam styled trunks.

Suddenly Dawn was spitting out her gulp of bottled water in a spray that shocked everyone before she gulped and took off her sunglasses completely.

“Dawn?” Buffy got up and came to her sister’s side. “You alright?” She asked and patted her sister’s back.

Clem stood there, still holding his shirt and standing over the scene. “She ok?” He asked concerned.

“I-I’ll be fine.” She was able to gasp out and wiped at her brow before chancing another drink to clear her throat. She never once looked up though. Looking would be bad.

Buffy looked up at Clem to answer for her sister and got a pretty good idea of what had caused her Dawn’s momentary lapse on exactly how the swallowing process worked. If anything, Clem was ripped like some surfer magazine model. Even Buffy’s eyes widened a little at that.

“What say we have a swim.” Spike asked his friend, sensing something was going on, though not what. That is until he realized just how focused on his girl’s sister Clem was.
“Clem!” Spike tried again.

His head snapped up fast. “Yeah. What?”

Spike arched his neck towards the rolling ocean. “Swim?”

“Uh,” he glanced quickly at the lovely form in yellow before nodding. “Yeah. A swim.” And then took a few steps backwards, before turning abruptly and striding to the cool water.

Buffy turned back to look at her man wearing almost nothing. It was harsher torture now that she knew she could have him. But right now just wasn’t the time. She sighed and spoke. “Go on.” She grinned up at him. “But don’t get too worn down.” Smiled up as innocently as she could muster.

“You’ll be the death of me.” He said with a glint in his eye before turning and running to catch up with the frazzled man with Dawn on the brain.

Meanwhile, Buffy returned her attention to her sister, still gulping down water. “Slow down there, Dawnie. We are not a camel, are we?” She said as she gently took the plastic bottle from her sisters clenched hands.

The dumbstruck look was still plastered on her little sister’s face.

“Is she ok?” Was asked again, but this time from Willow.

Buffy glanced back and settled herself back into her own seat. “Oh yeah. She’ll be just fine. Buffy spoke soundly before giggling and shaking her head. “Just as soon as we pull a Spuffy on Clem and her.”

~~`~~

Buffy was curled on the couch, thankfully without a book in sight. Not a notebook or a folder of papers either. Nothing at all to distract her from her last night of piece, and due to the fact that Clem apparently had more gumption than Buffy or Spike put together, Dawn was out as well.

She reached over to the bowl of popcorn as the scene on one of Spike’s movie picks rolled by. “Hey!” She said and peeked at the bowl to confirm her findings. “What did you do with all the popcorn? Pig!”

She was so cozily leaned against his shoulder with her legs resting across his that she really didn’t want to break the spell. But then again, said spell involved lightly salted bits of tasty fluff, of which there weren’t any.

Spike a grinned, eyeing the planter beside the couch, now overflowing with popcorn. “Musta ate it all up. Guess it’s bedtime then, yeah?”

She arched an eyebrow at him. “Sleepy already?”

His grin widened. “Not in the slightest.” And he leaned towards her, capturing her lips with a heady growl in the back of his throat. Soon he was cupping the back of her neck, as if sipping from the most treasured goblet in a treasure trove.

The thrumming of her heart in her chest tripled its pace. He never ceased to have that effect on her. And as they kissed she could feel her every sense attaching to his. Every fiber in her body becoming acutely aware of him.

Her skin gloried with every brush of his fingers, every touch of his lips and every mumbled syllable against her mouth. He had this ability to be everywhere at once for her. And yet, never as close as she needed him.

Without an invitation and desperate to have more, she tugged his well worn T from his denims before pulling it up over his head and straddling his lap and going back in for more of his lavish kisses.

She could always play it so cool, all of that practice she supposed. But as soon as she allowed his touches, there was no holding back for her. He was like a magnet to the very bones that held her together.

She drug her fingertips over his shoulders and down his chest, letting her nails scrape over his nipple as she took advantage of her position, on higher ground. Her mouth leaving his as she peppered his jaw and neck with kisses. She settled on his favorite spot over his jugular and began to nibble and suckle at his sensitive skin.

All the while her fingers found the button of his fly, and gave it a tug to let it lose.

Suddenly she felt his fingers gently gripping her wrists. “Ah ah ah.” He pulled her arms to her side slowly, leveling a gaze at her as he maneuvered her hands behind her back.

“Someone is highly overdressed by my measure.” He let his eyes fall briefly to her comfy large T. They still drove him crazy. Hiding entirely too much from him, and not nearly enough from the general public. “Believe you owe me a shirt.” He smiled down at her. “Bra too while were at it. Just to keep us on level ground.” He said with a smirk.

Level ground? As if they have ever been on level ground. But she liked how, although they would never be balanced subject to subject, or experience to experience, they were evenly matched overall. And a true pair that completed the puzzle as far as either were concerned.

She pulled back when he loosened his grip on her sequestered wrists, pulled her shirt over her head and kept a clear eye on the set of blues staring at her as she moved to the clasp of her bra.

Unable to wait, he slid his hands over the lacy white cups of the barely there scraps. Her nipples, hard, pressed against his palms as he rolled his prized globes’ weight in his hands. The slow shifting causing her breathing to quicken again.

As soon as the straps fell Spike sat up straighter and pulled her forward in a motion that had Buffy grasping at his shoulders even before she felt the first needy tug at the hardened bud now shooting bolts of warmth to her center. “Oh god! Spike!” She called out even as his other hand tried to copy the movements of his mouth.

She was holding him to her, fingers threaded through his curls. Her grip was straining as she tried not to pull too hard on the blond strands in her grasp. Her control was nearly gone though and before she knew it he was moving with her still astride his legs to turn and guide her down to the couch. Her legs stayed in place on either side of his hips, bending further and allowing him the space to settle atop, legs hugging him close.

He moved from her chest again, returning to her lips and adoring her pink swollen flesh while he slid his hands low heading for the knit shorts she usually preferred for their private movie nights.

He had to appreciate her foresight when his fingertips easily pushed past the waistband and down ward still, his middle finger sliding easily between her slick wet lips.

“Oh god.” They both said from the sheer joy that first intimate touch brought.

Buffy easily fell into a rhythm set by his fingers as he slid them in, first one then two and eventually three pumping into her furiously and she rode him until he latched onto a nipple once again, suckling hard and moaning around the tender flesh.

“Spike!” She threw her head back at the rush of orgasm made her body tingle from head to toe. She knew there was more as she continued to pump her hips and he slowed his ministrations before withdrawing from her still pulsing channel. His mouth stayed at her chest a few lingering moments, only adding to the electric surges still circling her womb.

She was staring up at him as he pushed himself up and pulled her shorts and panties off in one motion before removing his own barriers. Her eyes stayed on him as he stood over her, taking up her ankle and gliding his hand down over her calf as he lowered to his knees.

A small smile played at the corner of her mouth, now knowing what he had planned. She pulled up her other foot, pointing it delicately and ran it down over his hip before bringing it back down and leaving herself, knee bent and open to him.

He kept hold of her calf and as he bent forward, he placed her knee over his shoulder before his fingers traced the damp slit of her cunt and spread it open with his fingers. He took his time with each movement, making it gentle and teasing before letting himself savor her lemony sweetness.

She let her eyes roll shut when the first stroke of his tongue began tracing her womanhood. She’d once heard that some men spell out the alphabet while giving oral pleasure. Right now she didn’t care what his technique was, all she knew was that, by god it worked. “Oh, oh, oh yessssspiiiike.” Her voice faded slowly as he began a torturous tease with her clit.

This was the part she both loved, and dreaded. She lost all sense of self with what this man could do with a nimble tongue and a few practiced digits. She could feel the shocks zapping through her system burn hotter as his teeth scraped against the sensitive nubbin.

Her hips hitched when he began a slow suckle with his lips circling her tightly while his tongue, pointed and hard still abused the tip within his mouth. His hands had to hold her down as she tried to press herself into him, her fingers again laced into his hair.

It was when he began stroking her from within with his fingers that her control was lost. How he could do it so perfectly, she didn’t really care. All she knew was the electric heat had turned into a white hot flame that broke her as it spread over her in rushed waves.

Just as she was about to turn her head, the only movement she thought she was capable, she felt him atop her worn body again, his length pressed into her well pleased pussy. She was about to protest, ask for a moment to recover, but the feel of him filling her rekindled her passions like the flick of a switch.

“Buffy, luv.” She heard him moan as if he were the one worn and out of breath. “Open your eyes, luv. Will you?”

She blink at his request a few times even as she felt him pushing into her and pulling out at an evil pace before being able to gain the ability to fully raise her lids. When she looked up into his face she saw the reason his voice was so strained.

It was easy for her to see how much he’d been holding himself back, trying to make sure she was satisfied. He was at a loss now, eyes nearly black with need and face red in strain. Unable to hold back any longer. And he was searching her green glistening eyes, still glazed over,

Having him look at her like that, it was too much. “William. I love the way you fill me.” she said a moaning whisper that tickled his ears. “Please, fill me.” She said gliding her hands down his back and pressing him harder into her waiting depths.

He was unleashed then, hips thrusting with a force that had the couch creaking in protest. His muscles tightened, cords straining as he finally let loose what he’d been delaying and his body reveled in the release. “Buffy!!”” He howled and tried to hold himself up as his hips continued slow shallow thrusts, her hips doing the same as they both became too exhausted to move.

He lay there, trying not to crush her but still hating to leave her warmth. Besides, he lucked out really. She enjoyed him staying close in those immediate moments after. But soon, he knew sooner than either would have liked, her rolled them both in the small seating space so they were lying on their sides facing each other.

She could sense his eyes on her even as she felt the need to just sleep where they lay, movie long over and the blue screen on the TV now only reminding her where they were. “Spike?”

Mmm.” He sighed, taking a contented breath. “Yes, luv?” He said eyes onl open enough to keep her in view.

She couldn’t help but smile at his sleepy look. He was too adorable at times like this. She wished they could just stay but, unfortunately that was not a good plan this eve. “We have to get upstairs.”

“Mmm.” He seemed to nod but only pulled her closer.

She wanted to giggle, and a part of her thought she could be nice about it all but, after all, she still liked to tease him a bit. “Well ok, but when Dawn and Clem come in taking phone pics, don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

His eyes snapped open. “Bed.” He sat up quickly. “Well are you coming?”

She grinned and picked up her clothes as se headed to the stairs before throwing over her shoulder. “I suppose that depends on exactly how much stamina younger men really have?”

She took off to her room, him running close behind.
End Notes:
Thanks again for all of the encouraging words from everyone. I hope this ending is more.. appropriate. Pluys.. naked norty Spuffy.. Its Gooooooood..
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=33322