Poetry and Cars by jamies_lady
Summary: Totally Human a shy and hurting William meets a college girl who works hard. No its not just another college fic, promise
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 25607 Read: 27290 Published: 02/08/2009 Updated: 09/02/2009

1. Chapter One by jamies_lady

2. chapter 2 by jamies_lady

3. chapter 3 by jamies_lady

4. chapter 4 by jamies_lady

5. Chapter 5 by jamies_lady

6. chapter 6 by jamies_lady

7. chapter 7 by jamies_lady

8. Chapter 8 by jamies_lady

9. Chapter 9 by jamies_lady

10. Chapter10 by jamies_lady

11. Chapter11 by jamies_lady

12. Chapter 12 by jamies_lady

13. Chapter 13 by jamies_lady

14. Chapter 14 by jamies_lady

15. epilogue by jamies_lady

Chapter One by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
a new one, hope you enjoy, please let me know
Giles looked at his son and his heart bled. Picking up the box of old vinyl records he thought the poor boy seemed just as lost and lonely as he had been back in London. Even though they had only been here a few hours, the house felt like it could be home - once they had unpacked all the boxes, trunks and packing cases that seemed to be breeding on the lawn. The new house was nothing like the penthouse they had lived in before: this house even had its own swimming pool in the back yard. It was everything he had hoped, a normal three-bed house in a nice quiet district in California three hours away from LA. He knew in his soul it had been the right decision to start a new life in America after all the upset in England, but he hoped his gentle, artistic son would be able to cope with all the changes. He turned and went back into the house and hoped, almost against hope, that the new start would work for the both of them: they both could do with it.

William picked up another box and carried it into the house. He hated how he was feeling, he hadn’t smiled once in the year since his mother had died and now his dad had moved him across an ocean to start again. His floppy brown hair covered his eyes and he misjudged the step, tripping over it just as a gorgeous blond appeared as if from nowhere. She had a cheerleaders uniform dress on and it showed every line of her tight ass. She was perfect in every way: from her bouncy Californian sun-kissed hair to her cute socks and trainers, but something was spoiling the picture of perfection. That was the tears falling from her eyes. William coughed slightly, drawing her attention to him.

‘You all right, pet?’ he asked softly as he put down the box he’d been carrying. He didn’t want to scare the girl; she was already upset and he didn’t want to add to the tears. A crying woman had always made her way straight to his heart.

‘Mmmhhmm,’ she managed to nod, ‘it’s OK, I’m just an idiot.’ She sniffed and looked up at him: her eyes were red from the tears and she looked empty inside.

‘You need help? Have you been hurt or something, Goldilocks?’ he asked, moving very slowly to her side.

‘No, I’m fine, and I only live there, and I’m OK,’ she sniffed, ‘as I said just, stupid.’ She pointed to the house across the street. It was almost identical to the one William was trying to fill with the boxes he was shifting.

She pulled a key out of her bag. ‘Best get in, before I’m in more trouble.’ Her tears were slowing down, and William offered her his handkerchief.

‘Thanks. I’m Buffy, by the way,’ she smiled as she took the offered handkerchief.

‘You could stay here and just talk for a minute, I don’t know anyone here and it would be nice to just talk…’

Buffy nodded and agreed, ‘it would be nice to talk.’ She went to hand the handkerchief back but William shook his head. ‘You keep it, you seem to need it more than me.’

Buffy took a look at the man who had tried to help her. Beautiful blue eyes hidden behind glasses and floppy hair that was a dull blond colour. She also noticed that he filled his jeans well and the teeshirt he was wearing showed the outline of a man who worked out.

‘You just moved in?’ she asked.

‘Yep, came from London; you can tell we are moving by all the boxes.’

‘There were boxes everywhere when we moved from LA, took us weeks to tame them all, you’d just think you were finished when up would pop another one like a bad smell.’ Buffy remembered back the four years since they had moved, her eyes unfocused for a few seconds.

‘Who’s ‘we’?’ he asked. ‘Boyfriend?’ The girl seemed to be too pretty for there not to be a boyfriend around somewhere.

‘No, no boyfriend, that’s what the blubbering was about, the man I thought liked me just wanted to win a bet.’ Buffy thought about it. ‘He’s an ass, I’m glad I kicked him in the shin.’

‘Oouch, that must hurt, remind me not to piss you off.’ He gave a sideways half-grin as he said it.

‘What about you?’ Buffy asked, trying not to let the man get to her too much.

‘No, I’m free and single. Anyone at home to look after you?’ William asked in his gentlest voice.

She shook her head. ‘No, but its OK: mom’s at work for another hour, dad left years ago.’ Buffy looked back up at the man. ‘William, yes?’

‘That’s right, pet.’

‘You going to Sunnydale U?’

‘No, dad starts Sunnydale High next week, straight after the midterm break; and you?’

‘He seems a little old for high school, and I’m a freshman at Sunnydale Uni,’ she grinned at him.

William laughed. ‘He’s a librarian, and is taking over the job from Mr Golden.’ This girl’s sense of humour melded so well with his.

‘How old are you?’ She looked at him cheekily but William noted the tracks of the tears where they had dried on her face.

’25: and you?’ he answered, glad to be able to.

‘18, but I’ll be 19 in a few months. I had better go, I try and have dinner waiting for mom when she gets in, she’s normally so tired.’

‘Can you show me around town this weekend? At least show me where the diner is, so I don’t actually starve?’

Buffy grinned. ‘Yep, no problem, how about Saturday?’

‘Saturday will be great…’

Buffy accepted the hand William offered and heaved herself up onto her feet. ‘Thanks,’ she said as she ran off across the road to the other house. William watched after her, wondering what on earth had happened to him. His heart was beating so fast he thought it would crash through his chest, a few words from a woman he did not know had him behaving as though he was seventeen again. He turned and picked up the box and made his way back into the house, stopping as Buffy called back over her shoulder.

‘I’ll see you Saturday morning!’ she called.

‘Yep, that you will pet…’ he answered and waved to her before picking up the box from the porch and headed back into the house.

‘What’s happening Saturday, Will?’ Giles asked his son, having caught the last part of the conversation.

‘I’m being shown around town by a beautiful woman.’ William’s eyes were still on the door that had closed on the vision.

‘Good luck with that, but we have to get all these boxes inside before dark. Then we can order take-out and settle down with a couple of beers.’

‘How about your good whisky?’ William asked, trying his luck.

‘No, you drink too much to get that bottle; beer will be fine.’ Giles grinned; like father like son, he thought.

‘Great, but a least let me get some spicy wings and a blooming onion. I think I’m going to like living here,’ he said, thinking about the pretty girl he had met.
chapter 2 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
hope folks are enjoying this, plese let me know...and i enjoy the guesses about plot....
Sunnydale Mall was heaving with people and William felt a little lost with them all rushing around. Buffy had told him to meet her and some of her friends by the food court at 11 am. And he was there bang on time. He hoped that the blue jeans and a white tee were suitable: it had been a while since he’d chosen his own clothes. At university he’d been a copy of his dad, in tweed jackets and cord trousers; since then he’d been whatever Dru had wanted him to be.

Dru: now there was a mistake. She had been manipulative and deranged. It was her stalking, and what was laughingly called ‘The Incident’, that had finally pushed Giles into moving to America. Now the harpy was safely locked up in a secure prison and he was free from her wacky friends and cultish attitudes. He looked around for the blond he had met the Thursday before, wishing that he was taller, tall enough to see over the heads of the crowd. He scanned as much as he could before he spotted Buffy coming down the stairs from the upper level, using the extra height to look for him. William was delighted to see her waving at him, she looked so happy. William smiled to himself; she was beautiful, bouncing up and down, waving like mad. William waved back and Buffy hurried towards him, skipping down the stairs and heading straight for him.

‘You made it, I wasn’t sure you would come,’ she said a quiet voice, leaving William wondering who had hurt this wonderful woman in the past.

‘The girls said they’d meet us for lunch so you have me all to yourself ‘til then.’ She kept on talking, not giving him a chance to answer her. The grin on her face seemed to be threatening to split her in half and it was infectious. She turned her face up towards his, her hazel eyes brimming with mischief.

‘Yep I made it, and I’ll be delighted to squire you around until lunch, now where first? I’m yours to command, my lady and as I have no idea where anything is you will have to act as tour guide,’ he added with a smile.

‘Music shop. It’s mom’s birthday next week, and they have a huge collection of CD’s as well as, you know, music and instruments and stuff.’ Buffy told him, taking the offered arm and steering them through the crowds. She liked the feeling of him being so close; he didn’t impose himself on her space the way some boys did, but then he was a man not a boy. And far too old for you, warned her inner voice.

‘I could do with some new guitar strings: broke a few in the last few weeks. What are you after?’ William thought about the girl on his arm, she was just the right height for him, made him feel special, someone.

‘I want to get her the Greatest Hits of Janus, she’s still crazy about the band and the new album has only just come out, so Janus for mom, then I need some stuff from the book shop.’ She pointed out the shop, letting go of William’s arm, not noticing that William had stopped walking with her and that she was talking to herself. She looked round at him, wondering what had got his attention, but he looked more worried than interested in anything. Buffy walked back slowly.

‘What’s the matter? William? You OK?’ she asked quietly, stroking his arm.

‘Sorry? What, yeah, just spaced out for a moment… now, where were we headed?’

‘Music shop,’ she pointed at the shop in front of them again, the window covered in posters. William refocused and followed Buffy, just managing to grab the door before she could open it.

‘My mum raised a gentleman,’ he grinned and bowed her into the shop.

They took their time wandering around the shop. Buffy was delighted when she found the CD she had been looking for. The Greatest Hits of JANUS, the greatest band of the seventies: their anthems had been the soundtrack for a generation.
She read the blurb on the back:


Janus: rock music that defined a generation. Ripper, Ethan, Wolf and Hoffman: four musicians who spoke to and for the wild child generation. With their amazing costumes, fantastic light shows and extraordinary performances they mesmerised their millions of fans for nearly a decade and after 30 years they can still fill the biggest arenas. This is the ultimate collection of their greatest hits…

‘Mom will be stoked with this!’ Buffy squealed as she paid for it, picking up the bag and walking back towards William who had been filling a basket with CD’s ranging from The Ramones to Mozart.

‘William, I, I know its rude - but can you afford all that?’ she asked quietly as he handed over his American Express card and used the pin.

‘Yep, no problem.’ He answered giving her a grin, his tongue curling up behind his teeth and making her knees go weak. Stop it Buffy, she thought to herself, he’s not going to be interested in someone like you. But she smiled; the nice man was hers for the day.

The morning was filled with laughter and jokes. Despite the age difference Buffy had never met anyone that got her jokes as well as William did. He played the gentleman, carrying all the bags, no matter what Buffy said about being capable of doing it herself. They dived into and out of shop after shop and he never complained: just picked up the bags and smiled as she tried on jeans and tops. Eventually they made their way back to the food court and found a table in the heaving mass after having picked up a bargain bucket of chicken (including spicy wings) and a couple of cokes.
The smell made Buffy’s stomach growl and William laughed as she blushed.
‘Let’s get you fed before that demon escapes!’ he said, feeding her a fry. William was the one blushing though as she ate it and licked his fingers to get the last bit of the salt.

There was something about Buffy sucking on the straw that should have been outlawed around any red blooded male. William was getting quite uncomfortable and was glad his jeans were loose; the skin tight ones he normally wore would have been crippling him at that point. He looked around the mall: it was filled with strangers who looked all too familiar. People were the same all over the world, but he was trying to take his mind off the sight of a young woman sucking on that lucky straw. Buffy just watched William; his eyes were the most amazing blue, why he kept them hidden behind his glasses she couldn’t guess, and she wanted so much to brush the dirty blond curls off his forehead, to fuss over him, but it wasn’t her place and she wished it could be.

She was about to ask him where he wanted to go next when the cutting, whining voices of Harmony and Cordelia cut through her like a knife. The pair had made her life a misery during the whole of high school and college was proving no better.

‘Let’s go William, please?’ she asked, watching to see where the b’s were headed and unfortunately they were headed straight towards her and William. William looked at the panic in Buffy’s eyes and smiled reassuringly at her.

‘Course pet, no problem.’ He picked up the remains of their lunch and dumped it before holding out his hand to help her up. He managed to grab the bags just in time before Harmony dumped all of Buffy’s stuff on the floor; he couldn’t believe the bleached blond’s bad manners. He wanted to say something but the look in Buffy’s eye stopped him. He was already whipped by her, and he loved it.

‘So: where now?’ as he tried to get out of the way of the oversized football player who was walking straight through them. The man stood directly in front of Buffy and started talking.

‘Hello beautiful, how about going out with me this weekend? I think I can fit you in between practise and my girlfriend.’ He laughed at his own stupid comments and the other boys around him joined in as though he had made a huge joke.

William looked at Buffy. ‘Shall we leave, pet?’ he asked, holding out his arm to her.
Buffy grabbed hold like she was being rescued from drowning. She looked so small and scared. But the man kept tight hold on her upper arm; William could see his fingers digging into the flesh, bruising it.

‘Please let me go, Angel,’ Buffy whimpered. Her voice sounded lost to William.

He looked at the hulk; the man out-bulked him and must have been about 6’2’’. But William wasn’t worried; he just wanted Buffy safe. The couple tried to move around Angel (poofter’s name, thought William to himself), but the man wasn’t letting go. He pulled Buffy away from William and into his chest, completely dominating Buffy’s personal space. She whimpered again as his overlarge hand squeezed her arm even harder, and Buffy knew it would bruise… but William was now just smiling. Buffy felt disappointment stir in her soul; she didn’t know what she expected but William smiling wasn’t it. She could feel Angel’s hand gripping her tightly and wondered why a senior, the captain of the football team, would want to make her life hell, but he did. He hadn’t given her a break since she had been stupid enough to try out for the cheerleading squad at college back in September. She just wanted Angel to let go and stop hurting her. And for some reason she wished William would help her: why was he just standing there smiling?

William smile turned feral as he reached over Buffy’s shoulder and grabbed hold of Angel’s wrist; it seemed to be in slow motion as William twisted his own hand, taking Angels’ with it. The footballer was turning white as the slighter man took control of the situation. Buffy heard Angel whimper slightly as he let go of her.

‘Now we’re not going to have any trouble, are we?’ William asked, and Angel shook his head, and whimpered as the bones in his arm began to bend. He knew that his hand could easily be broken if the stranger squeezed much harder. Harmony and Cordelia said nothing, but watched open mouthed as Angel O’Connor was forced to his knees by a wimpish - looking man none of them recognised.

‘I think the lady told you to let go, so no grabbing again: you wouldn’t want to make me cross, would you?’ William whispered in his ear, before turning back to Buffy and releasing the wrist with a snap. Angel could barely whisper ‘no,’ his wrist hurt so much.

‘Now where next Pet, and is there a good book shop in town?’ William asked, walking away as though nothing had happened. Buffy nodded, stunned into silence by what just happened and they walked away through the silent group of people. The only noise was the background chatter from the mall and Angel’s whimpers from the floor.
chapter 3 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
for those waiting for an update of Black Knight...its coming, I've been poorly and not able to concentrate, and now my beta is away for a week.

this is for Katkin...thanks for all your help when i needed it
Buffy couldn’t believe what had happened; what had happened, she asked herself?? ‘Wha? How? Wha?’ she managed to stammer out, looking up at William.

‘You going to say anything that resembles English any time soon, pet?’ He looked down at her; Buffy seemed a little white and William stopped walking.

‘You OK luv?’ he asked worriedly. He hadn’t wanted to frighten Buffy off but he needed to protect her, though he wasn’t sure where that urge had come from. As young as she was, something in her soul called to him.

Buffy nodded. ‘Angel?’ She managed to ask.

‘Well I couldn’t let him hurt you, and you didn’t seem to want his hands all over you, so I persuaded him to let go, that’s all. Didn’t mean to scare you…’

‘You didn’t, he did.’ She took a deep breath. ‘But I just don’t understand how you could do that.’

‘Do that physically or mentally?’ he asked, he really wanted to make sure there was no misunderstanding her questions.

‘Either,’ she asked, ‘both?’ Totally confused, she didn’t understand how someone so lithe as William could take down the hulk that was Angel, and how come he wasn’t scared of the overgrown idiot.

‘I’ve done martial arts for years, since I was a kid. So both physically and mentally I was trained to deal with bullies: Dad knew that I would have to defend myself at times when I was a child, so I learned and I loved it, the control over the body, the self discipline… I’ve let it go for the last few years but I still remember stuff, and anyway I used a simple hold-breaking manoeuvre on the big lug.’ William shrugged his shoulders.

‘Thank you, I don’t think I said it before, but thank you,’ Buffy said quietly.

‘You are more than welcome my lady, it’s not often I get to play white knight to a damsel in distress.’ William bowed and offered his arm again.

Buffy looked up and smiled at him before something caught her eye. She squealed loudly enough to melt earwax and waved at a couple of girls that were headed their way, accompanied by a very strangely dressed gangly youth who seemed to be in pain from the way he was jiggling from foot to foot; either that or he desperately needed the bathroom. William sniggered to himself.

They hugged and squealed; William grinned at the sight, trying to catch the other man’s eye, but the man just turned his head away. He seemed to have eyes only for Buffy. William felt a hint of jealousy, and he hoped he wasn’t treading on anyone else’s toes. Buffy had said there was no boyfriend, but from the looks he was getting from the other man William guessed there was at least one applicant for the job.

Buffy hadn’t noticed any of the silent conversation. She stopped squealing long enough to make the introductions.
‘William, this is Willow and Tara and Xander, my friends: and this is William. He’s moved in across from us and I’m showing him around,’ she explained, still holding onto William’s hand. Xander made some stupid noise and the shorter red-headed woman hit him on the arm, gently.

‘Stop it: Xander, you behave! Just because Cordelia Chase was rude to you, you shouldn’t take it out on Buffy or her friend. I’m Willow,’ she turned towards William, ‘and this is my girlfriend Tara.’ She looked William directly in the eye as if challenging him to make a comment. But he didn’t, he just said hello to the women; Willow obviously relaxed when he didn’t make any judgemental comments. He just smiled and looked happy to be meeting them all.

‘So: William, is it? What do you do for a living? Cause you seem a little old for college…’ Xander asked, not really looking at the women he was with but busy watching some female walk past wearing a far too short skirt and too small top.
‘Hiya,’ he said with a grin as she walked by them.

‘Drop dead, freak!’ was the only reply he got in response.

William felt a little sympathy for Xander, he knew what it was like to feel uncomfortable with the opposite sex and wished he could help, but the dirty look he had received earlier made him wary. Instead he answered the questions as if they had been asked politely.

‘I’m 25, between jobs, love fixing up old cars, just haven’t found one to play with yet.’ He had answered all the questions without seeming to take a breath, only too aware that these people were just trying to be friendly.

‘Do you, fix cars I mean?’ asked Tara brightly, joining the conversation for the first time, ‘cause we have an old Desoto 1957, it’s on its last legs but we’d be real grateful if you’d come and have a look…’ she used her hair as a protective veil, this woman was so insecure she seemed hardly able to face William. He watched the woman who had spoken to him very carefully: the eyes looking at him were filled with kindness and compassion. A good soul lived beind those eyes.

‘What’s it need doing?’ He asked.

‘Everything,’ Tara answered, ‘it’s cluttering up the garage at the moment.’

‘I can show you where they live if you like,’ Buffy offered, glad of the excuse to spend more time with her new neighbour.

‘That would be great, luv: how about tomorrow?’

Everyone seemed to agree, except Xander who had been ignoring the whole conversation as it had little to do with him. William wondered what Buffy saw in the whelp, but something told him there had to be more to the man than met the eye.

‘So, William, what sort of music are you into?’ Willow stared at him; behind the glasses he had the most beautiful ice blue eyes that seemed to sparkle.

‘All sorts really, a lot of bands you might not have heard of, everything from Punk to classical… Mozart was the Sid Vicious of his age, and the waltz was banned for being indecent for years. I really like the Ramones, Jerry Lee Lewis, anything with a good back beat; it was Chuck Berry that said ‘It has to be Rock and Roll music if you want to dance with me.’

The girls laughed at the few notes he’d sung. Buffy noticed they had been in tune, but William had said he played guitar.

‘I like imported stuff as well,’ Willow told him, ‘there is a great band from the UK called Vampire’s Kiss. Their album was on the internet and I managed to download it before the site pulled it: I couldn’t get a genuine copy in the US, but the lead singer was hot…and so was the girl on bass.’

‘Lead singer male or lead singer female?’ Xander joined in, he had to know. The thought of a little girl on girl action always made him hot.

‘Male,’ Willow smiled at the memory.

‘But you’re gay…’ Xander looked confused.

‘Yes Xander, that’s Gay, not blind.’ Willow answered with a grin. Neither noticed the look William had given them. The laughter between them lasted all afternoon; Xander loved hearing the story of how William had taken down Angel.

‘Angel used to beat him up and steal from him in High School,’ Buffy said quietly, ‘he’s always been a bully.’

Xander noticed Buffy and Williams’ heads close together and wondered what they were talking about, but any guy who put Angel in his place was OK with him, and he knew he’d have to make more of a try to be friends if he wanted to stay on the right side of his girls.
chapter 4 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
see an UPDATE..sorry its taken so long but i have been editing my book

Dark sail has been published....
Joyce looked at her daughter and smiled; Buffy looked so unbelievably young, sitting at the breakfast bar chewing the end of a pen and doing her assignment. The new neighbours had obviously made a good impression on her only child from the smile that had graced her face for the last two weeks.

Joyce watched her for a while before speaking. ‘Buffy, why don’t you invite your new friends over for dinner on Saturday? I’ll cook and we could really get to know them a little better.’

Buffy glanced up from her psychology paper and took a good look at her mother. ‘Are you sure, Mom? You’re normally tired and I didn’t want to impose or anything, but it would be fun to celebrate.’ Buffy had been worried that her mother was doing too much, she’d looked a little pale recently and had tried to help as much as she could, but between school, working at the Magic Box and helping with the cheerleading squad she was kept very busy herself.

‘You invite them dear and we could make it a sort of birthday party for me,’ Joyce told her with a smile. Joyce knew she’d been lucky in her daughter and it would be nice to have guests round for a change. It wasn’t something she’d done since Hank had lived with them.

‘Thanks Mom, you’re the best!’ Buffy raced off to ask William while Joyce looked on.

I wish I was the best Buffy, Joyce thought as her daughter made a mad dash out of the house. If I had been, your father would never have got near your college fund and you could have gone to any school in the country with your SAT’s. Instead you’re stuck here, still living at home because I can’t even afford a dorm room for you. Still at least there was food on the table and a roof over our heads. Joyce turned with a degree of sadness back to the house and her work



William was underneath his new baby when Buffy came across the road. Her blond hair was bouncing like some TV commercial for shampoo; he could see her crossing the roadway and as she got closer all he could see were her long, tanned legs ending in a skimpy pair of cut off shorts. William banged his head as he pushed himself from underneath the car.

‘How’s she coming?’ Buffy asked, smiling to herself at the oil and dirt smeared over William’s face, he looked like a little boy playing with his toys.

‘She’s more solid than I first thought, and she’s a beauty,’ he said as he stood up. William went to give her a kiss on the cheek but Buffy backed off very quickly.

‘You are not touching me with those hands William, I don’t need oily handprints on me showing everyone where you have been,’ she smiled to take the sting out of her words. ‘I came over to invite you and Giles to dinner on Saturday, mom says we can make it a bit of a party, it being her birthday and all.’ She thought he looked cute standing there in his dirty, oily jeans and his white tee shirt ripped where he’d caught it on a sharp piece of metal. The gap gave her a tantalizing glimpse of his toned abs and she lost her concentration for a few minutes. When she finally regained her senses he was talking about the weekend.

‘I’ll have to check with Dad but I’m sure it would be fine, pet: we’d love to,’ he was telling her. William knew she was so much younger than he was but Buffy had come to mean so much to him in the last couple of weeks since they’d met. He smiled as he watched her bounce back across the road before heading into the house to get a cold drink. The sun in California was definitely hotter than it had been in London. And the scenery was better as well.

Giles was on the computer when William finally found him, having spent some time cleaning up most of the oil from his hands and changing his jeans and top. His dad wouldn’t like that mess dragged through the house.

‘Darla has sent another email for you, William,’ Giles said to his son as the man joined him. William handed his father a cold can of soda before flopping into a chair. He looked at Giles with an unreadable expression.

‘And what does she want?’ William growled out. Even the name brought back bad memories.

‘You to start work again. She is asking if you’ve…’ he didn’t even get the chance to finish the sentence before William interrupted him.

‘Well I’m not going to, it nearly killed me Dad, and I can’t go through all that again; it did kill mum and it was my fault.’ William tried to keep his emotions in check but it wasn’t working, he could feel his voice cracking and he didn’t need to hear it. William tried to keep the tears from falling from his eyes. Shit, he really thought he was over all this crap.

‘No William it wasn’t, what happened WAS NOT YOUR FAULT in any shape or form. You were good at your job, you enjoyed it, and that’s all that matters; however,’ he held up his hand to stop William interrupting, ‘however I really do understand and totally support your decision - but you asked what she was after.’

William nodded and noticed his hand was shaking and stuck it under his leg; even the thought of going back to work had left him rattled.

Giles could see even the mention of Darla had left William upset and he felt like kicking himself. He really should have known better than to mention anything to do with London. He would have to try and do better.

‘Thanks for the drink William, I needed it.’ Giles deliberately ignored his son’s reaction to his news. William was glad of the change of subject and was grateful to his father. ‘We’ve been invited to dinner on Saturday: Buffy’s mum’s birthday and she’s asked us to join them…’ His voice trailed off as though he couldn’t concentrate properly.

‘Would you like to go?’ Giles asked his son, not wanting to make any assumptions about William’s choices.

‘Yeah, yeah I would,’ William told him, ‘yeah I would, she’s a wonderful girl, Buffy, and from what I’ve heard her mum’s nice as well, so it could be fun.’

‘Then tell the ladies we’d love to join them.’ Giles was pleased that William was trying to build a social life and he wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardise it.

‘She’s into the same music you are,’ William told him, watching his father from over the rim of the can.

‘Who, Buffy? That’s unusual,’ Giles smiled at William’s expression.

‘No, Joyce: she likes Janus.’ William told him, continuing to watch his father out of the corner of his eye. If Giles had been concentrating on his son he would have known that the younger man was planning something: his tongue was curled around his teeth.
William had timed his comment perfectly. Giles had a mouthful of coke and sprayed it everywhere.

‘I’ll go now, my work here is done,’ he smirked as he made his way out of the room.

Giles was glad he’d managed to make William smile and turned his attention back to the computer and the never ending pile of emails waiting for him; wiping down the keyboard and table he started to answer them all. Dinner on Saturday and on Monday he started at the local high school as the new librarian: his diary was getting full.

Both men were ready early on the Saturday night, and armed with flowers and a good bottle of wine they headed across the road. Surprisingly or maybe not, Giles was nervous and so was his son. William had felt his heart opening to the young woman
he had met but he had always been love’s bitch before and it had cost him dearly. He took a deep breath and tried to put the memories of his mother’s murder firmly out of his mind. Giles looked at the expression on his son’s face and knew what he was thinking.

‘It wasn’t your fault son, you couldn’t have known how obsessed that stupid bitch would become: there was nothing you could have done. Now don’t let it spoil your future. Let the demon go, William. Now do you want to go to dinner or should we go home?’ he asked gently.

‘Dinner: can’t let two beautiful women down, now can we, dad?’ William said as he headed across the empty road and knocked on the door of Buffy’s house.
Chapter 5 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
I am so sorry for the delay in updates....I humbly appologise...
I now have a new computer and the kids at school and hopfully my muse will no longer hide from everyone
William took another deep breath before knocking on the door in front of him. he hated it when his memories overwhelmed him but at least the time the pain lasted was getting shorter. He rapped on the door again and listened to the racket of Buffy running down the stairs at a breakneck pace.

'I’ll get it!' he heard an unknown voice call as the door swung open to reveal a forty-something woman looking slightly harassed, and Buffy standing on the stairs trying to put a shoe on. She was hopping up and down on one already sandalled foot while attempting to climb down the last stair. She made the cutest little noise, like an angry kitten, as she struggled with the strap of her recalcitrant sandal and made it safely down the last step.

William had to smile at the look on her face; if she had been a kitten she would have been spitting at the step and her sandal.

‘You must be William and Mr. Giles: come on in,’ Joyce said. ‘I’ve just got to go and see to the dinner; would you like a drink before we eat? I have some beers in the fridge...’

'Please call me Giles,” his father said as William stood back to allow him to enter first. At least his father would have gone first if the dozy git had moved, but he seemed a little smitten at the sight of their hostess. After William had dug him in the ribs Giles remembered his manners finally, and handed the flowers across to his hostess.

‘This is William: and these are for you, Ms Summers,’ he said as he felt himself blush.

‘Joyce, please,’ the woman returned the smile. ‘Thank you very much, they are beautiful,' she said, accepting the orchids and freeing the men to allow them into the house. Buffy watched as her normally sensible mom seemed to lose the power of speech and smiled to herself. It was good to see her mom happy.

Dinner was a great success: the conversation flew around the table. Music, art, Giles and Joyce seemed to mesh and meld at every level. It wasn’t that they were carbon copies of each other, far from it. The discussion about modern art had blown up into a near row, but they sparked off one another. Giles thought some modern stuff was rubbish and Joyce thought it was great, at least that’s what she said but Buffy knew her mother better than that: she was winding her guest up. Dinner and the wine were finished at about the same time and they all headed into the sitting room.

‘We’ll clear up later, I’m enjoying this far too much,’ she told Giles as Buffy brought the coffee through from the kitchen. But Buffy had overheard her mother and after putting the tray on the low table she went back into the kitchen to start clearing up. William followed her in and picked up the tea towel, glad to see his father so relaxed.
Buffy and William cleared the kitchen in near silence, listening happily to the chatter next door. It wasn't an uncomfortable quiet, but the sort that normally only happened between good friends.

When the last plate was put away Buffy opened a low cupboard and moved a couple of boxes, pulling out a hidden cake. Her eyes sparkled as she put it on the work surface and she held her finger to her lips to ask William not to tell. He grinned as she put on the candles and pulled out his lighter from his back pocket. It was obvious he used it regularly as he flipped the lid and they watched as each candle accepted the flame. Buffy switched off the lights and William carried the offering into the sitting room before Joyce cold complain about the lack of light.

'Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,' they started singing and Giles' tenor voice sent shivers down Joyce's back; it sounded rich and trained.

'Do I count the candles?' he asked with a smile and Joyce looked horrified, but relaxed when she realised that there were only 10 on the cake.

'No, please don't, and no guesses either!' she added with a smirk.'It's not nice and I don't want to even think about it!'

'Mom, you're still young and not even approaching the hill of old age...'

'And that's enough of your cheek, young lady,' but Joyce's smile told Buffy she really wasn't in trouble.

William and Buffy had to smile at the way the 'olds' were getting on. The two younger members of the party weren't even missed when they slipped out the door and headed to the local club.

Joyce and Giles smiled at each other, did they really think that their parents HADN'T noticed the looks the kids were giving each other all evening? Joyce brought in another bottle of Merlot and they settled down to an evening of conversation, music and wine. Giles was pleased to see some of the music Joyce had got in her collection and had to smile at the sight of the Janus albums. She had the whole of the back catalogue, every one of the 37 albums ever recorded, including Live At Ephasus which had always been Giles' personal favourite. Though he thought the picture of Ripper on the cover was ridiculous: purple boa and makeup, on a grown man. Giles shuddered at the thought; how could anyone walk in those five inch heels?

'What made you come to Sunnydale, Giles?' Joyce asked, looking over his shoulder at the CD in his hand. 'I know it seems stupid to have every album, but I love the music and I've been collecting them since I was a teenager. I've got all the vinyl ones they have ever issued as well, but I keep them safe and away from Buffy; like most youngsters she has no concept of scratches, or at least she didn't when she was four...'

Giles laughed. 'I know that one, I've had to buy Ullysses seven times because of the scratches William inflicted on them, and the jam and the chocolate and the mud...'

Joyce laughed out loud at the picture Giles was painting of his son. 'That is so unfair, the poor man, it must have cost you a fortune!'

'It did, his mother made me promise not to kill him when he got into the collection for the third time.'

'She sounds nice.'

'She was.' He looked thoughtfully at the drink in his hands.

'Can I ask what happened?' She didn't want to pry but he seemed to want to talk and she had been there herself, in fact was still there.

'We divorced when William was very young, he must have been about ten or so by the time it was all finalised. I was an idiot to let her go, but it was my fault. I went off the rails: drink, drugs, women, you name it I tried it; and Anne needed to protect William from the moron who had fathered him, so she kicked me out. Took me years to realise just how wise she had been. And then last year she was killed, but we had made friends again, the last couple of years had been really great.' He picked up the wine and refilled both glasses. 'And you?' he asked in return.

'I was the wife who was cheated on, numerous times, and stolen from and treated like dirt.'

Giles looked up. 'I have honestly learned my lesson: no drugs, the occasional drink and I really don't do the cheating thing any more. Hell, I haven't done the dating thing for about 7 years!'

'Well we'll have to see what we can do about that, won't we?' Joyce was flirting with him, he knew it. Before things could get any more serious they were disturbed by the shrill sound of the telephone ringing. Joyce shot him an apologetic look before answering it; Giles watched as she twisted a stray lock of hair around her finger before writing something down on a note book.

The call lasted only a couple of moments, enough time for Giles to find another long-cherished record. He changed the one they had been listening to for Rush's Farewell to Kings and topped up the glasses again. Joyce settle back down on the rug and gratefully accepted the wine.

'I don't think I have ever drunk so much in a long time; I feel I'm getting tipsy here.'

'Well you shouldn't drink alone,' Giles smiled at her.

'I'm not. Giles, do you support any charities?' She asked, changing the topic of conversation.

'Sometimes. Why?'

'Well, the call was from a friend of mine who raises money for a local meeting place. It's called the Magic Box and it helps kids who have nowhere else to go: counselling, meeting place, drop in centre, whatever is needed. There are so many kids who have nothing and Faith is one of them. But she fought back from being on the streets and now helps look after the younger girls that come in. She's only a couple of years older than Buffy, but has been through hell. So I help her when I can.'

'So what do you need from me?'

'They are having a fund raiser and could do with some help. A local band are playing and its a ball-type of thing at a hotel.'

'Anything I can do to help, only too willing to do what I can. I try and support that sort of thing.'

'That would be wonderful!'

'When is it, the dance?' Giles asked as he kept looking at the Janus album sitting on the table. He couldn't take his eyes off of it.

'June 19th, it's a Saturday,' she told him.

'I should be back from England then. I'm due across there for an appointment at the beginning of June.'

'Ooh that's when Janus are playing the O2 arena in London. I would love to go: the first time they have been together in 15 years and the tickets sold out in less than 2 hours! Will you be going to see them?'

'I haven't seen a concert in a long time and I think I'll be too busy to watch Janus that night. I'm supposed to be meeting up with some old friends' he told her

'Wouldn't it be amazing if they came and played in the US again? A dream come true for me.' Joyce laughed and finished off the wine in her glass. 'Coffee?'

'Yes please, then I'll be going; it's getting very late.'
chapter 6 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
sorry about the delay in updates....Beta has been hiding on a different island:)
Buffy and William had developed an easy friendship. They had laughed over their respective parents' attempts to keep their blossoming romance a secret. They had spent time on his precious deSoto car - next week it was going for a complete respray - and William was proud of how well it had come back together. He had bought it off Willow and Tara when they had noticed just how much he loved spending time on it.

Giles was enjoying his new job. Despite the fact that he had more money than he could ever possibly spend in three lifetimes, he needed to work. The library at the high school had never been so well organised or supplied; luckily the headmaster wasn't some little toad of a man that resented the well read and highly educated man, but a forward thinking, progressive African American by the name of Robin Wood. The man wanted to improve the school's appalling grades and number of children being excluded.


Buffy lay on William's bed, watching him sort out the boxes he had been working on... piles of books he still hadn't sorted through since his move. The box containing his note books slowed down the task as William tried to shake off the memories it brought up. Buffy watched his changing face; he seemed to be a world away from her at that moment and she wondered what had made him go into his own thoughts like that. William threw the note book onto the bed by her side and she picked it up.
William didn't notice as he continued to go through the books and boxes. The CD player stopped and he used the remote to start the music again. Buffy loved the way she never knew what sort of music would be played next. William was always surprising her with his choices and taste. He would play the Ramones and then Mozart; Janus, then a band that Buffy had never heard of before. They had spent many happy hours just listening to music and talking, ''putting the world to rights” as Giles had put it. She looked at the book again; Buffy was so tempted to open the note book, it didn't look like a diary... but you could never know.

'William: can I look at this?' she asked and William looked up from his place on the floor. 'What?'

'This book, can I look at it?'

'Yes, sure, its only an old ideas book,' William tried to explain, but he seemed uncomfortable with her inquisitiveness.

'It's OK William, I won't look; I didn't mean to make it awkward. Anyway I've got to go, I'm supposed to meet Faith at the Magic Box this afternoon,' she said quietly, as though he had scared her with his attitude.

'Sorry pet, you look if you want: it's just some ideas I had for poems and such like.' He smiled at his young friend. 'I'll drive you, the deSoto needs a run out.' He shook his head as she tried to hand back the book. 'You keep it, tell me what you think later.'

The deSoto started after a few tries and William had been cursing under his breath. He tried not to notice the cheerleaders' uniform she was wearing, the skirt was far too short for him to concentrate on his driving and he nearly ran a red light. The emergency stop had prevented a ticket but Buffy had hit her head on the vanity mirror above the windscreen; she rubbed the spot, it would leave a bruise in the morning.

'Sorry about that,' William hadn't done anything so stupid in years and felt really foolish.

It only took a couple more minutes of very careful driving for the car to be pulling up outside the ramshackle store front that led to the safe haven that meant sanctuary for so many. The paint was peeling and the security shutters looked like they had seen better days. William locked the car before following the short skirt and long legs into the shop.

'Hiya Blondie!' A tall, slim brunette jumped down a couple of steps from a balcony area that seemed to house an office. 'The girls are waiting in the back for you to arrive.'

'Thanks Faith, this is William,' Buffy added before running through a steel door and vanishing into the shop.

'Hi William, I'll be with you in a minute; I'm Faith,' she said as she pinned up a couple of notices on the board. The woman was struggling a little, trying to hold posters with one hand and drawing pins with another. William went over and helped her catch the escaping bits of paper.

'Thanks, could you pin that one up there?' She pointed to an empty space on the board and carried on pinning up her own supply. William read the paper as he pushed the pins into the cork.

Fund raiser. Magic box needs you,
talent night....

Saturday April 3rd

8pm


Another one was for a counselling service that would see any teenagers recommended from the Magic Box for free. A third gave details of a homosexual, lesbian and bisexual help line.

And there was a bigger poster advertising the fund raising ball at the Sunnydale Hotel.

William watched Faith try and fit all the posters onto the board and tried not to laugh. She was balancing on one leg and William had to make a dive to save her from falling as the chair she was standing on started to topple over.

'Thanks Blondie, nice save, now if you'd just let go of the goods? She looked pointedly at his arms wrapped around her waist. William blushed slightly and let her go before righting the chair and sitting in it.

Faith looked at the board, all the posters were up.

'Fancy a coffee?' she asked him and William nodded. She led the way into a small back room and poured two cups of strong coffee; passing one to William she nodded towards the sugar and milk.

'Help yourself,' she said as she sipped her coffee.

William shook his head. 'No thanks, I take it straight.'

'Nice move with the save, I owe you one.'

'No problem, I wouldn't want you to get hurt.'

'You seemed quick...'

'Practice.'

She just nodded and reached for her cigarettes. Offering one to William she sat in companionable silence for a few seconds before she went to light her smoke. William threw her his zippo and she snatched it out of the air.

'Spike?' She asked, noticing the engraving.

'Nick-name,' he told her before pocketing the lighter. What ever Faith was about to say was interrupted by the telephone ringing and Faith returning to her work. William wandered out of the shop; glancing at his watch he knew he had nearly two hours before Buffy would be free to head home so he entertained himself in the local book shop.

Buffy came out of the Magic Box slowly, favouring one leg and limping slightly. William had been waiting, leaning against a wall, but hurried over to her as soon as he saw her. 'You OK, pet?' He asked solicitously.

'Mhmm: just caught my ankle doing a back flip,' she told him, grateful for the arm he offered to help get her to the car. She was obviously in pain and William ignored her squeak and swept her into his arms and carried her the rest of the way.


Joyce was out when they arrived home so William took Buffy across to his house rather than root around in someone else's cupboard. Buffy tried to ignore him as he put the ice pack on her swollen ankle. Being carried in his arms had awoken all sorts of feelings in her mind she wasn't quite sure she was ready to deal with just yet. It was comforting and scary all at the same time.

'Ouch,' she told him as he placed her foot onto a cushion.

'Sorry, now you just stay there and I'll get you some juice to rehydrate you: anything in particular?'

'Grapefruit if you have it,' she said, trying to reach the magazine on the table. She couldn't quite get it but knocked off another of the black note books that seemed to be all around the house. She didn't mean to pry but it was filled with William's neat, slightly old fashioned hand writing and she was curious. She just had to sneak a peak.

Poetry: the book was filled with poems. One in particular caught her eye:

The way you're bathed in light
Reminds me of that night
God laid me down into your rose garden of trust
And I was swept away
With nothin' left to say
Some helpless fool
Yeah I was lost in a swoon of peace
You're all I need to find
So when the time is right
Come to me sweetly, come to me
Come to me

Love will lead us, alright
Love will lead us, she will lead us
Can you hear the dolphin's cry?
See the road rise up to meet us
It's in the air we breathe tonight
Love will lead us, she will lead us

Oh yeah, we meet again
It's like we never left
Time in between was just a dream
Did we leave this place?
This crazy fog surrounds me
You wrap your legs around me
All I can do to try and breathe
Let me breathe so that I
So we can go together!

Love will lead us, alright
Love will lead us, she will lead us
Can you hear the dolphin's cry?
See the road rise up to meet us
It's in the air we breathe tonight
Love will lead us, she will lead us

Life is like a shooting star
It don't matter who you are
If you only run for cover, it's just a waste of time
We are lost 'til we are found
This phoenix rises up from the ground
And all these wars are over

Over
Over
Singin' la da da, da da da
Over
Come to me
Singin' la da da da, da da da
Come to me



She thought it was beautiful, she could almost hear the music play behind the words as she read them. She spent the few minutes he took to get the drink just flicking through the beautiful words he had written.
chapter 7 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
a real life update
Joyce had to laugh as she and Buffy danced around one another: they were both trying to get ready for their respective nights out. Buffy grinned as she and her mother fought over first rights to the mirror in the bathroom. It was lovely to hear her so happy again.

Buffy stood back slightly as Joyce brushed the plum coloured lipstick onto her lips and pursed them together.

'Not too mom-sy, am I?' she asked, worried that she would give the wrong impression to the man who was swiftly becoming important in her thoughts.

'No,' Buffy answered laughingly, 'just the right amount of momsieness to make sure he treats you right.' She grinned again at the affronted look in her Mom's eyes and started to apply her own makeup. She had ages yet but somewhere in her heart she wanted her mother to know she wasn't leaving the house too dressed up. Something was making her be very careful with the friendship between Joyce and William. Nothing was going to happen to make her mom and her argue over this boy - man.


This evening should be great, thought Buffy: Giles was picking Joyce up at 5.30 and they were headed into LA for an art exhibition, and then William was going to take her out for a meal at 7, then on to the Bronze for a dance, and home by 11. It would have been better if it had been a real date with William and not just him keeping an eye on her for the olds, but she wasn't going to complain. He was cute.

Joyce smiled at her daughter. It was hilarious to see Buffy trying to hide the attraction she felt for the younger Giles man. At least she was taking it slowly. Joyce's thoughts were disturbed by the tooting of a horn outside and she grabbed her shawl before diving down the stairs at a pace that would have done Buffy proud. Giles was just walking up the path: he looked amazing to Joyce's eyes, the tuxedo fitted him like a glove and Joyce felt nineteen again.

Buffy smiled: she watched from the window as Giles opened the door to the car and handed Joyce in, like a gentleman should, before getting in himself and pulling away. The bright red sports car roared into life and her mother was away on her first date in nearly five years.

Giles thought Joyce looked beautiful. Her dress hugged her figure in all the right places, making him feel a lot younger than his driving licence told the world. Giles took his eyes off the road for a few seconds to admire the woman by his side. In that moment he made his decision: he would tell her about his past. There would be no secrets and no lies, not even by omission. He would tell her at dinner.

The restaurant was small and intimate; Giles hadn't told Joyce where they were going but Marco's was the latest place to eat in LA. They had booked for an early supper and should be through in plenty of time to make it to the exhibition opening at 9pm. Giles slipped back into the rich life very easily. He really enjoyed working as a librarian at the school but missed the finer things in life. Things he wanted desperately to introduce Joyce to. He looked around as they crossed the dining room and was grateful that he couldn't see any familiar faces. They could star-gaze after he'd told Joyce about his other life.

Meals and drinks were ordered quickly and Joyce looked around the restaurant Giles had brought her to. It seemed a little fancy for a normal date, and looking at his face, Giles seemed a little nervous. He was playing with his wine glass, swirling the ruby coloured liquid around the bowl. It was producing hypnotic patterns that had him entranced.

'Giles, what is it? You seem preoccupied this evening.'

'I am a little, Joyce.'

'You want to call it quits? Stay friends and don't know how to tell me?'

'NO!' he said emphatically, realising how his behaviour could have been misconstrued. 'Just the opposite, in fact. Joyce, I can't remember when I have felt this relaxed and happy with anyone. I want to see where this goes from here, but before we explore what's happening I have to tell you something...'

'Yes?' she asked. 'You're not dying of some dreadful illness, are you?'

'I hope not, no, it's nothing like that. It's about my past.'
'I don't care about your past, Giles. I like the you I know now; whatever you have done, whatever you want to confess, it's not important,' she told him gently, leaning across the table to hold the hand of the man who was quickly capturing her heart.

They were interrupted by the arrival of the venison pate they had ordered for a starter and took a couple of minutes to settle themselves down to their food.

'I'm glad you feel like that, but you really need to know this Joyce, it's important and may just change how you feel about me.' Giles took a deep breath. 'Just please don't tell everyone without asking me first.'

Joyce nodded her agreement and put her toast down. Whatever she was about to be told was obviously important to Giles.

'In the late 1960's I was in a band. It's how I made my money. I was married to Anne and it was my behaviour that drove her away.'

'You told me about her,' Joyce said, 'you didn't hurt her physically, did you?' Fear gripped her, she'd had enough of that behaviour when she'd been with Buffy's father. She really didn't think she could go through that again.

'Good God no, I never laid an unwanted hand on her. The band did well, Joyce, really well. Well enough for you to have heard of them.' He looked uncomfortable as he shifted in his chair, playing with the food in front of him.

'Who were they?' Joyce asked, her emotions in turmoil, trying to understand why this was so important to the man in front of her.

'Janus,' he answered simply, watching her face intently.

'My God, you're Ripper Giles!' she yelped, then grinned. 'Do I ask for a kiss or your autograph?' She softened her comment with a smile, then lifted a portion of her pate and toast up and held it out for him to eat. 'Thank you for trusting me,' she whispered.


William was speechless when he saw Buffy come down the stairs, her figure-hugging jeans showed just how toned she was, and the skimpy red top left little to his imagination. She was gorgeous. They had a wonderful time at the pizza house, sharing garlic bread and spicy wings before stuffing themselves with far too much food.

'If we both have garlic-breath we won't scare each other away,' Buffy said as she broke off a piece and tried to feed it to William, who was laughing so much he didn't dare eat it. He knew he would spray the food all over the table if he did.

'How's it going with Faith and the fund raising?' he asked when he finally got his breath back.

'It's going OK. One of their big sponsors is backing out. Too many unmarried mothers being helped, and Faith has bad morals. She's got a new boyfriend and he's black...'

'The sponsor is an asshole.' William told her flatly.

Buffy laughed at his use of the word, in the four months since they'd met he'd always come across as the straight-laced one and to hear him swear was highly amusing.

'Yep, I agree there,' she finally managed to say. 'Robin, the boyfriend, is about as upright as you can get. Princeton scholar, youngest head in the district. He's just what she needs.'

'You like Faith a lot, don't you?' he asked, watching her face as she answered.

'A great deal. She had a really tough start, but I'll let her tell you about it sometime. She's raising her brother by herself. She adores Andrew and does whatever she has to to take care of him. He's the reason she opened the magic box, there was nowhere for the good kids to go, nothing to keep them off the streets and out of trouble. Faith wanted something that would make them think of the future. Somewhere they could kick back in safety. She knew what it was like to live on the streets, surviving by wits alone, and didn't want that for others.'

'She sounds great, I'm glad she's a friend.' William told her.

'So am I, but when we first met it could have gone either way. She doesn't like bleach blond valley types and I wasn't too keen on the street hooker look, either.'

'What made you change your mind about her?'

'We got arrested. Someone reported us for breaking into a frat house. It wasn't us but we spent 10 hours sitting in a cell while the police called my mother and checked out our story. Mom wiped the floor with them, especially the police chief, and we were let go, but Faith and I had spent the time talking. We realised how much we had in common and we chose to be friends rather than enemies. She's the one that set up the church cheerleading squad for all the girls who couldn't break into the tight cliques they have in school and college.'

They finished their meal chatting comfortably, before William drove Buffy home; they had been planning on taking in a movie, but Roman Feasting did not look like the sort of thing Buffy would enjoy and the adults-only certificate was enough of a warning. Instead they armed themselves with a bucket of Ben and Jerry's and a couple of DVDs from the local store. That was where Joyce found them at 1 am when she arrived home from the most amazing evening she'd had in years. Fast asleep on the sofa, one each end, with the TV showing the blue screen at the end of Kinky Boots.
Chapter 8 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
I'm actually updating, please don't die of shock....

Thanks to Sotia for the amazing banner
William really didn’t like Cordelia. After four months of knowing her he had yet to find anything pleasant about the self-absorbed woman who made his new friends’ lives a misery.

Xander and he had bonded over beers and pool at the local club known as the Bronze. Angel was keeping well out of their way, still smarting from the couple of run-ins they had had. And here they were at the Bronze, supposedly meeting up with the girls - who were late. Things between him and Buffy were good, she seemed to appreciate his warped and wacky sense of humour, but then Xander was one of her best friends.

He set himself up for a sweet shot that would give him the game when he heard the screech that could only come from Harmony Kendel.

'Ooh look, it's the dyke brigade! You’re only queer 'cause no boy will go with you...’ She could reach notes that would hurt a bat's ears, William thought as he tried to ignore the woman. He didn't want trouble but he couldn't stand by as she had a go at Tara and Willow. The two women had worked their way into his once shattered heart and, along with Buffy, started to heal him. William stood up and headed over. He knew that he could help the girls but he hated confrontations.

'Glinda, Red? You OK?' He asked as he came though the crowd. The girls looked at their unlikely saviour: he still wore the button-down shirts and looser jeans that they first met him in, his floppy hair covering his face, but at that moment he looked like a knight in shining armour... even if the armour was denim blue.

'Yep, we’re fine William, Harmony was just removing all doubts as to her IQ level.' Willow grinned; Tara looked the other way, trying not to laugh. She hated confrontations too, and just wished people would leave her and Willow in peace.

'What do you mean?' Harmony tried to work out what had been said, proving Willow's point for her.

Cordelia just looked down her nose at them all. None of these people were worth bothering about: it wasn't as if they were famous or anything.

'Come on Harmony, we've got to go and find something decent to wear for Daddy's party. It's going to be huge; leave the losers alone,' she said as she grabbed Harmony's arm. With that she turned sharply on her Manolo Blahnik's and stalked out of the Bronze to do some damage to Daddy's card.

'I just wish that once I could find a way of wiping that smirk off of her face,' Willow grouched, and Tara rubbed Willow's shoulder to try and sooth her girlfriend.

'She has been giving us grief since the first day of high school. I had hoped she would go to college somewhere else, but it never happened...' Willow shivered and gave Tara a grateful look. Then smiled up at their saviour.

'Thanks William, I hate facing them down, they just make me feel so insecure. Hey, have you seen that Vampire's Kiss have a new track out? I found it on YouTube, it's really hot.' Willow was chattering so quickly she missed the shadow that flickered across William's face for a moment. 'Would you like me to download it for you? They said it's going to be number one. It's had thousands of hits already and they are setting up a website to sell the CD!' Willow smiled and went back to her coffee and her homework.

'That would be cool, thanks,' he managed to squeak out before heading back to the game of pool and Xander.

Things were definitely getting better on the Buffy front, he thought to himself as he slammed a ball into the corner pocket. He was wiping the floor with Harris but the younger man seemed to be taking it well.

'So Harris, how goes the work hunt?' He asked as he lined up the next shot: just three more balls and the game was his.

'I've got an interview with a construction firm next week, it'll beat handing out ice creams or delivering Pizza.'

'Good luck with that,' William told him as he sent another ball home.

Angel and a couple of his cronies wandered over, and shoved themselves into William as he lined up for a shot.

'Oops,' Parker said and William counted to 100 before turning his attention back to the table. Angel then spilt his drink on Xander and William knew it wasn't going to end well. He could sense the vultures circling for the kill.

'Hey dead boy, you're not actually going to let him get away with that are you?' A very familiar voice said and Xnader turned to see a beautiful blond woman with a wicked look in her eye grinning at his pool partner.

'Well I thought he might wet himself if I bit him,' William said with a perfectly straight face.

Xander looked at the woman. She was amazing, and behind her was a mountain of a man and another blue-haired one. They were all grinning at William. Angel looked uncomfortable.

'This one,' The woman pointed at Angel, 'making up for having a small dick obviously, and you, what are you doing here?' she asked as she leapt into William's arms and kissed him soundly.

Xander's brain finally registered what the woman had said as William put her down and held his hand out towards the men. 'That should be my question, shouldn't it? What are you doing here?' William asked with a grin. It was good to see the gang again.

'Well, we came to see you,' the bigger of the two men told him.

'Clem!' William hugged him before nodding at the blue haired man. 'Oz...'

'We came to talk but we wouldn't want to interrupt anything.'

Angel pushed his way into the group. But he was confused, why weren't they running away from him and his cronies?

'You lot had better back off if you know what's good for you; we want a little word with Xander here about daring to play on our table.' Angel said in his most authoritative voice, trying to ignore the comment the woman had made about the size of his dick.

Clem started lauging, giggling, and leant back on the post behind him. Anya looked at Xander and smiled. Nice muscles on the boy, she thought as she helped herself to William's beer. Oz shrugged and sat quietly out of the way. Xander thought that they were all cowards leaving William to deal on his own. He tried to move forward to stand by his friend, but Clem shook his head.

'Leave him to it,' he said and William grinned.

'I need a good workout,' William grinned and he looked almost feral. Oz and Clem seemed to share a look and stepped out of the way.

Xander did a quick head count. There were six including Angel and he still couldn't get past the new arrivals.

Angel took a swing at William using Xander's abandoned pool cue as a weapon, but whereever it was he expected William to be, he wasn't there. To Xander's eyes it seemed like the Brit was dancing with his opponents. Xander couldn't see some of the moves as they happened, but William was grinning. Angel went spinning round at one point, nearly hitting Anya who was still drinking from someone else's beer.

It seemed to be over in seconds. Angel was limping away and a couple of the jocks were carrying obvious wounds, but William was still standing and still grinning.

'Now I'm really happy to see you guys, and have missed you like crazy!'

'Even me?' Anya asked with a sparkle in her eyes.

'Even you, demon girl.' His voice was soft as he spoke to her. 'But what the fuck are you all doing here?'

'Getting a drink,' Oz said, lifting his empty glass.

'Well it's like this, Spike: we have a little proposition for you.'

'It's William, not Spike,' he growled.

'We need you, William.' The name was said most pointedly. 'We have a chance at really making it big, but Darla wants in. In fact she has already released Blue Swan and is desperate for the whole album to be released. Please mate, its our second chance at the big time,' Clem told him passionately.
Chapter 9 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
Thanks as always to my reviewers.

I'm not putting my wonderful banner up, becaus it keeps failing....but thanks for it Sotia
Buffy knew whatever her Mom wanted to talk to her about was serious by the fact that she had started the conversation before dinner. Buffy just didn't want it to be about sex. William had asked her to meet him later and he said that he needed to talk as well. After the day she'd had at college she just hoped it wasn't a goodbye speech he had planned. She'd been chased around the campus by some weirdo who gave her the creeps. She just wanted William.

Dinner was all her favourites: the news just had to be bad. Buffy knew it in her heart and soul. Mom wouldn't go to all this trouble for good news, would she?

'I need to talk to you about Giles,' Joyce started to say, before picking up her wine and taking a sip, a large sip, and playing with the liquid in the bowl. Joyce just didn't know how Buffy was going to react to the news.

'You're moving in with him!' Buffy gasped, jumping to the most obvious conclusion.

Joyce finished the rest of her wine with a gulp. 'What? No, at least not yet, no... that's not what I need to tell you.' Joyce took a deep breath. 'You know that album you bought me for my birthday?'

'Janus,' Buffy said nodding for her mom to go on. The pasta was really good.

'Yes, Janus. Well they are playing in London later this month and Giles wants to take me to see them: his treat,' Joyce explained slowly.

Buffy choked on her food. 'Wow! He really must care for you to spring for two tickets to that, it was sold out months ago!'

'One ticket,' Joyce replied quietly.

'So your're... what? Supposed to watch alone? And what's he doing? Going to some stuffy book shop?' Buffy couldn't understand why her Mom seemed so excited about going to a concert alone, unless of course Giles hadn't been able to get a second ticket.

'Playing,' Joyce whispered quietly, as though the words weren't quite her own.

'Playing what? Golf?' Buffy asked as she helped herself to another piece of garlic bread.

'Guitar.' Joyce told her, looking straight in her eyes.

'Mom, you're not making any sense.' Buffy was trying to understand what she was being told. She knew what each word meant but they didn't seem to be adding up to make a whole sentence.

'Rupert Giles is Ripper Giles, lead singer and guitarist for Janus' There, she'd finally said it. Joyce had found it hard enough to believe herself, but when she said it out loud it really made no sense whatsoever.

Buffy burst out laughing. 'Mom, its not April 1st, and I'm not falling for that one!'

'There's no falling to do Buffy, I promise you it's the truth. I didn't believe it myself. Giles, well, when we went to dinner, he explained. God this is harder than I thought it'd be.' Joyce took another deep breath. 'I feel like I'm an overwrought, hormonal teenager and I'm trying to explain to my mom why I want to stay out late!'

'No drinking, no boys and be in by 11pm,' Buffy told her with a perfectly straight face.

'Yes, Mom.' Joyce told her, before they both burst out laughing.

'So Rupert Giles is actually the guy you drooled over during all your high school years?'

'And college,' Joyce added.

'And college years, the one in the feather boa and the corset. Well at least you'll get the album autographed.' Buffy told her thoughtfully.

'Oh!' Joyce's face lit up, 'would you believe I hadn't even thought of that? I'll ask him tomorrow. But that's not the best bit: the best bit for me is that he really wants me to go to London and see them play. Would you mind? I'm taking 10 days off from the gallery, they wanted someone to go and look at a new artist's stuff in New York, then we'll fly on to London and the O2 Arena with backstage passes and everything!' Joyce sounded almost giddy.

'Well I hope he gets a backstage pass or there'll be real problems,' Buffy grinned. 'So do you want me to look after the house? And will you be back for Faith's fund raiser? You promised...'

'Yes, and yes, I'll leave you money, and God help me the car keys, please don't smash up the car,' Joyce begged with a smile on her face.

'I won't,' Buffy groused. She wasn't that bad a driver.

'And we'll only be away for ten days, back in plenty of time for Faith's party. And as I'll pick up a new dress for me in London, you can go shopping on the credit card here and choose something tasteful.'

'Yes mom,' Buffy grinned again before helping her mother to clear the plates away.
'I've got to dash, William is picking me up and we're heading to the Bronze,' Buffy said as she noticed the time. It was later than she thought. The talk had taken nearly an hour.

'Have fun!' Joyce called from the kitchen as she started clearing up the mess they had left. That had gone better than she'd hoped.

'Will do, mom: 'bye,' Buffy shouted as she raced out the door. She needed time to think about what Joyce had told her: she liked Giles, but that was a big secret to keep. Yep, she really needed time to think about what she'd learned.

William didn't drive them to The Bronze in his newly renovated DeSoto. Instead he headed out of town towards the small diner they had been to a couple of times. William was quiet and almost subdued, he even let a car overtake them at one point. Pulling up in the car park and switching off the engine he took a deep breath.

'William, what is it? It's not like you to be so moody: I thought we were friends.' Buffy put her hand on his arm and could feel him shaking.

'I need to talk to you, Buffy. And it's tough. I want to tell you everything, and my mates have turned up from London and they need my help and I don't know where to start.' She could hear the tension in his voice.

'The beginning is a good place.' She wanted to try and break the tension. 'Are you finishing with me? 'Cause that's something I don't want to hear. I've had enough what with my mom trying to pull some gag on me earlier,' Buffy told him flat.

'No, its nothing like that.' William turned to face her. 'Listen, Buffy: I have never lied to you, not once. I've kept stuff hidden because I couldn't face it myself and I didn't want to change the way you looked at me.'

'Nothing will do that, William, nothing. I, I, I think we have something special and I don't want to spoil it.' She leant across and kissed him with butterfly softness.

William took a second deep breath and let it out slowly.

'My name really is William Giles, and I have never lied to you. That's important Buffy, but I have kept a lot secret.'

'You said that already.' Buffy told him as they watched another car draw into the car park and its lights turn off. A young man and his girlfriend got out and snogged as they crossed the gravel to the door of the diner.

'I was in a band called Vampires' Kiss. The one that Willow likes. We were doing really well in Europe and things were going great.' The words came out in a rush, as though once they'd started they couldn't stop.

'And?' Buffy prompted him to continue.

'And we picked up this groupie. She wouldn't leave us alone. I fell for her big style, she became my world and dragged me into a world of drugs and sex.' William felt ashamed as he started to explain where his life had fallen apart.

'So you had an old flame? Has she come back into your life?' William hated how small and frightened Buffy sounded when she asked.

'God, NO!' he shouted, 'no way! I wouldn't piss on the psychotic bitch if she was on fire!' He was vehement in his denial. 'My mum came to a gig, she was so proud of me; Dad was there as well. After the gig was over mum came over to give me a hug and Dru went loco. She pulled a knife and stabbed me mum right in front of me.' William broke down in tears. All Buffy could do was wrap him in her arms as he cried for his mother.

'There was nothing any of us could do. It all happened so quickly: one moment she was telling me well done and the next she was lying in a pool of blood, dead.'

Buffy's heart broke. How had he carried the pain of that and still been normal? She wrapped her arms around him even more and held him close into her body, feeling the sobs wrack his.

'What happened next?' She asked gently after he had cried himself out. They must have sat in silence for twenty minutes just holding one another.

'They put her away in a mental home and she'll stay there for life. The band broke up, I couldn't face anyone. I got clean. I promise: I am clean now.' William was desperate for Buffy to believe him and to believe in him.

'I trust you, William.' Her voice soft and gentle, soothing his troubled soul.

'Well, dad got the job here and we moved, and I met you,' the man continued. 'He wanted me to get back to basics. That world had killed my mom and nearly killed me.' William managed to get a grip on his tremulous emotions.

'So you gave up music? You can't do that William, music is a part of you, you might not realise it but whenever you are happy or sad: you sing. When you work on the car, you sing. Music is a part of your very soul.'

'I know that now, it's the same for dad. He's missed it as well and has a gig next month. He said Joyce was going to tell you.' William 's breathing had seemed to settle a little. He seemed more in control of his raging emotions.

Buffy stopped moving her hand. 'I thought she was joking, I didn't believe her. I, oh God: your dad really is Ripper Giles, isn't he?' She started laughing hysterically, unable to cope with what she was being told. 'My boyfriend's dad is one of the biggest rock stars on the planet and I'm such a dork I didn't notice!'

'Boyfriend, pet?' William smirked. 'You've never called me that before.'

'Well, I didn't want you to get big headed.' she managed a watery smile.

'Never,' he smirked at her. 'So, back to the big news...'

'You mean you and your dad being in bands wasn't the big news? William, what else is there? I'm not sure I can take much more...'

'The band want me back. We've got another chance to make it to the big time. Dad has said he'll let us open for Janus in London, and that's huge. There is a new CD coming out of all the stuff we recorded before I did a runner.'

'And?'

'And what?'

'And you haven't said what you want. I've heard what other people want: what do you want, William?'

'I knew I loved you for a reason.' William grinned.

'You love me?' Buffy gasped.

'Well yeah, was going to tell you when I took you out for a dinner after about six months of dating: fell in love with you that first day and haven't changed my mind yet.'

Buffy leant forward and kissed him softly. 'I don't need the dinner, William: thank you for telling me.' Buffy knew it was too soon for her to say the words, and so did William - but he could see the love blazing in her eyes. 'You didn't answer the question, William: what do you want?' she continued.

'I don't want to lose you. I'm not going to do anything that would risk that, you mean too much to me.'

Buffy looked at William. 'I honestly think I'm more at risk of losing you if I hold you back. I'm at college here, and I want to finish it William, so I can't follow you around the world. But I can and will wait for you. I will support what ever you decide to do. I want to train as a counsellor, I want to keep helping out at the Magic Box: will you support me in that?'

'Of course,' William answered sharply, 'I'd support you in anything you do.'

'Well that's how I feel. I will support what ever decision you make. But it has to be what you want to do. Heart and soul, what you want to do.'

William nodded and pulled her in close. They sat in the car for another half hour, just watching the lights from the traffic, before heading into the diner for coffee.
End Notes:
well???
worth the wait?
Chapter10 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
another update..despite school holidays I have managed it
Buffy wasn't sure what to make of everything William had told her. The diner had been nearly empty when they arrived and she and William had slipped into a small booth, well away from the other customers. The waitress took their order: William had his normal spicy wings and Buffy ordered a burger and milkshake. Neither knew just what to say after their mutual confessions in the car park. William wondered if Buffy regretted saying she loved him and he hoped she wasn't angry at him saying what he had. Somehow this young, very young, woman had wormed her way deep into his heart and soul, pushing away all his fears. Unlike any woman he had ever met before, she was feisty and brave and loyal. She had completely banished the depression he'd been in just by being herself.

The waitress brought their order over, and slid the plates in front of the still silent couple. William barely noticed but managed to nod his thanks. Buffy picked up a fry and started nibbling it slowly; William watched every movement of her mouth with fascination.

'Buffy,' William finally started, at exactly the same time as Buffy said, 'William...' They looked at each other and burst out laughing: could they be more in tune?

'You first, pet,' the man said, taking a sip of his scalding hot coffee. For the first time in a year, William wished he was drunk after making a fool of himself, but coffee would have to do.

'Is there anything else you want to tell me, William? I know you haven't lied to me once, but you haven't exactly been honest either, have you?'

'Suppose not,' the blond agreed, 'but it's been hard. I didn't want to lie, knew if I told one I'd have to tell another and then another, so I was just careful what I said. The only other surprise is that me mates are here from London. Oz, Clem and Anya, they were in Vampire's Kiss with me. Anya's a weird one, Oz is cool and Clem is more interested in feeding his face and playing the drums than anything else, but they want to meet up.' He looked at Buffy's face to see how she'd taken the news.

'Yes, and?'

'Well, I don't want to let you down,' William looked up at her shyly, hopefully.

'Meet them? I'd love to meet them, if you want me to, that is...' Buffy's insecurity showed its ugly head again.

'Course I want you to, that's what I meant to say. I want you to come with me tomorrow. We are meeting up, and talking about what they want.'

'And what do you want, William? What do you see yourself doing?'

'I love writing my music, in fact I love my music. It's always been important to me. Mum played piano and taught it; Dad, well you know who dad is now, so you can understand when I say music is all I have ever known. Dru killed it: I didn't play, didn't write, hid in a bottle... but you... well, I've started writing again. As you found in my room,' he grinned at her. 'And I want to go, but I don't want to leave you.'

'William, I am 19, and we are friends.' William looked distressed at her words, but Buffy held up a french-fry to stop him. She looked at him. 'First, we are friends, everything else came second. I have nearly 3 years left in college, 3 years where that has to come first. If I give you that 3 years to dedicate to Vampire's Kiss, will you promise to make a go of it? Work at that and keep away from all the temptations: I'll be here, on the phone, email, whatever you need, then we'll see where we stand. I want to take this further, but we need to take it slowly.'

'When did you get so wise?'

'Need I remind you, Mr Giles, I am training to be a counsellor?'

The rest of the meal was filled with laughter and fun. William had never felt happier.

It was nearly a week before they could all meet up. Buffy had been busy helping get the junior cheerleaders ready for a competition and William had spent the majority of his time in LA talking to lawyers. Buffy dreaded her cell phone bill coming in, she knew it would be high. She dreaded what her mom would say; well, maybe she wouldn't be that cross, after all she was ringing Giles every day as well.

Buffy got herself ready for the big meeting with William's friends. She had been through her wardrobe four times with both Willow and Tara supervising her changes until everyone was satisfied with black jeans and a pale green halterneck top that more than covered everything. Add to that a pair of low heeled soft boots and she was ready for anything.

William picked her up promptly at 8 in his beloved and cherished DeSoto before kissing her gently. Buffy melted into his arms like soft ice cream on a hot day. William had to visibly pull himself together before driving off.

Buffy didn't know what she'd been so worried about. Anya was a hoot. She hadn't been too sure at first, especially when the woman asked if William gave her good orgasms. Buffy nearly choked on her drink, spraying coke all over the table over that one.

'Nice shot, Bufster,' Xander told her as he wiped the mess off his face. Tara and Willow had joined them all as the whole gang enjoyed William's last night in Sunnydale before heading for London and the chaos of O2, Janus' reform and 40th anniversary gig, and Joyce's vacation. They had all been made to promise not to say a word to anyone about Giles or William, not that they would, or that anyone would believe them. Xander had lovely dreams though about what Cordelia Chase would say when she did find out, but now he was wiping sprayed coke from his face. He had so wanted to make a good impression on Anya: she was hot.

'Let's dance!' Anya said loudly, dragging Buffy onto the floor by her arm. She looked pointedly at Willow and Tara who were sitting quietly, sipping their drinks. Willow wanted to dance, and dance with Tara, but felt insecure in a club she didn't know well. The Vampire gang had suggested this place.

The girls danced around each other cautiously until a fast track came on. Anya started twisting and twirling like a demon, living in the music and letting the beat take over her feet and her soul. What could Buffy do but join in: it only took a couple of bars of the music before the girls were surrounded by a circle of jeering and cheering men.

Anya knew she could handle herself but Buffy was getting nervous - or she was 'til William and Xander wandered across and started to join in. Xander tried his best, but he couldn't dance. William, however, moved like he'd been trained for it. The crowd melted away as William, oozing confidence, led her through a series of moves she wouldn't have dared do on her own.

'William,' she whispered as he lifted her high above his shoulders.

'Name's Spike, baby,' he smirked back. He looked good, and confident, but Buffy could see the ghosts and shadows in his eyes. She would get rid of those eventually as well.

By the end of the evening Oz had swopped his email address with Willow and Tara, Anya had vanished with Xander, off to give him good orgasms, and William and Buffy drove up to Lookout Point. Buffy felt wonderful in his arms, safe and secure.
It was a chaste goodnight kiss they shared when he finally drove her home, disturbing Joyce and Giles who had been so busy making out on the sofa that they hadn't heard the younger couple come in.
Chapter11 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
my thanks for all the amazing reviews. They mean a lot....
'Buffy, mail,' yelled Willow as she came into the house on Rodello Drive. Joyce had written every day she'd been in London, and so had William. The record company had been sending out the letters by courier so that Buffy didn't have to wait for their arrival, an added perk for the rock stars who were being feted in London. Nothing was too much trouble.

William, Giles and Joyce had left with William's friends just six days ago and Buffy was missing him like mad. But the letters and the emails had arrived regularly. College had been great, Buffy was loving her courses and even her social life had picked up, but she still missed William. There had been some highlights: Angel had been picked up DUI with Cordy in the car and Cordy had been grounded. Buffy tried to feel sorry for her, but couldn't. Angel was safe behind bars in County for another three days and then had to do a new Drivers' Ed course before he was allowed to drive again. Cordy hadn't looked happy when her dad had dropped her off at college that morning, and it took a lot of strength not to burst out laughing.

Buffy was happy living in Egypt about what her Mom got up to and if she never heard the words 'police car' and 'handcuffs' again it would be years too soon after seeing the picture of her mom dressed in a long coat and a boa, draped over a police car. It had nearly given her a heart attack. The model who took her mom's place for the real shot was gorgeous, and it was to be the new album cover. Buffy preferred the one with Joyce in even if she would never admit it.

Buffy snagged the two envelopes from Willow's outstretched hand as she ran upstairs to get changed for cheerleading practise. She had a whole twenty minutes before she had to leave and she intended to enjoy each and every one of them. Plumping up the pillows she settled down on the bed and started on her mother's letter.


The hotel was amazing, according to Mom: The Ritz was one of London's top hotels and they had a whole floor of suites to themselves. There were guards everywhere, and they were needed: Joyce had found a gaggle of females, all of whom were old enough to know better, trying to get into Ripper Giles' room. Security had escorted them out and had nearly taken Joyce with them, thinking she was one of the intruders, but William had saved the day. After that, she said, she didn't take off her pass until she went to bed, and threatened to wear it in bed if she needed to.

Joyce had emailed photos of them all in London, enjoying the view from the London Eye, on an open top bus and taking a cruise down the river. They had five full days before the first concert and she had a back stage pass to each and everyone. Six nights at O2 with TV and press interviews on one day only for Giles. The pictures were wonderful. Especially the ones Joyce had taken backstage at the concert on the first night. Buffy couldn't believe the man she knew, who dressed in tweed and worked at the high school in the library also wore make up and high heels.

Joyce ranted on and on and on about the concert. It really had been a dream come true for her. The other members of Janus had been sweet, making sure she could see everything and setting their own PA's to looking after her. It had been a different world. There had been a specially cooked meal served before they even went on stage, and the costumes had taken up a whole room by themselves. Joyce watched open mouthed as Ripper put on the make up he'd been famous for thirty years before, loving ever minute of his change from Rupert Giles to Ripper Giles. She kept the kiss from him quiet from Buffy. She had no intention of upsetting her daughter.

'As if I didn't know what's going on between them!' snorted Buffy, but she was delighted her mother was having so much fun.

There was one last photo shoot which Joyce captured on film. There were pretty girls all over, draped over Giles and his friends, as well as over the members of Vampire's Kiss. Buffy would have got jealous if it hadn't been for the fact that Joyce had also sent her some video of the photo shoot. The comments from Clem and Anya made her cry with laughter. Oz actually growled at one of the models at one point. William was heard asking if they ever ate, 'cause it was like holding a skeleton in his arms... the funniest moment was when one of the models fawning over Giles asked for his autograph for her mum... Giles' face was a picture.

Vampire's Kiss were doing the rounds as well. Poor William was exhausted, Joyce wrote, from the photo shoots and the chat shows. All he wanted to do was crawl back home, hold Buffy and sleep he said, but it was going well. Darla had everything under control and made sure they were where they were needed and when.

The six nights at O2 were a huge hit. Joyce was living her dream. The lights, the music, everything. She watched Janus from backstage: the show was electric. The music took her back to her youth, but even in her dreams she could never imagine Ripper Giles coming off stage, still carrying his guitar and kissing her so passionately. Joyce was just glad Buffy wasn't there to see it.

Joyce didn't know it was already on youtube for the world to see.

Vampire's Kiss were a hit. They sold out of the album and had to order extra copies for the third night. Their new album was racing up the charts on both sides of the Atlantic and their newest single was at number one in Europe.

William really missed Buffy but he knew she and he had made the right choice. What they had was strong, and it would survive, but for now it was on stage to open for Janus for the last time, last night, then he would be flying home to his beautiful lady. The sunshine of his life.


When it was all over and the concerts were finished, Ethan Rayne had invited them all to his country estate in Scotland for the last two days of their vacation. A private helicopter whisked them away straight from the centre of London to Royal Deeside and a 2000 acre estate near the Queen's home at Balmoral. They needed it. There were thousands of people just waiting to get near Janus every night.

The private jet took off from the City of London airport and headed northwards. The passengers were so exhausted that they barely stayed awake as the plane climbed into the night sky. Giles had released his lapstrap long enough to stand up and put a blanket around Joyce as she lay sleeping. He then pulled her head onto his shoulder and joined her in slumber. The first thing Joyce remembered after sitting down was the captain telling them to prepare for landing at Aberdeen Airport.

'Joyce, wake up dear,' Giles said as the cabin steward made his way up and down the centre aisle of the jet. Joyce looked around groggily, trying to get her bearings as she awoke from a deep sleep. Giles handed her a handkerchief to wipe the drool from the corner of her mouth and Joyce felt highly embarrassed. Way to make a good impression...

'We're going to be a few extra minutes,' the captain told them over the intercom. I've just heard from air traffic control and they've asked us to stay in the holding pattern as the air ambulance lands ahead of us, then we'll be clear to land. Your cars are waiting for you and there is a clear run up to the castle,' he added.

Joyce looked out of the window as a small plane came down on the runway below them. She could see the blue flashing lights of the waiting ambulance.

'They bring the patients in here from the outer islands,' Ethan explained as he noticed Joyce's interest. 'The big hospital here takes all sorts.'

'Oh, right, thanks,' she said to the man. She was still feeling a little star-struck even after nearly two weeks in everyone's company.

The plane landed safely and the limos were waiting just outside the VIP lounge.

The stories and memories Joyce had stored up would last her a lifetime.


Buffy carefully folded the letter up and put it into her treasure box, along with all the others.

William's letter was shorter, telling her about how much he missed Buffy and how the days seemed longer without her there.

He also included the lyrics to his newest song....



every day I take you//dancing in the garden
you could be my woman//that would be fine
if you'd be my baby//I would drive you crazy
every night and day//all of the time

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes

and when you take me//into your garden
let me kiss your blossom//and make it mine
I just wanna drink your//sweet crystal clear water
and then help you turn it//into wine

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes

and when you are sleeping//I can watch you breathin'
murmur in the dark//and call my name
and when I join you//underneath the blanket
I know I will never//be the same

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
End Notes:
the lyrics are, of course, by James Marsters
Chapter 12 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
sorry updates have been few and far between....
my son hasn't been well, we are expecting a visit to the specialist in Aberdeen at some point
Buffy had cleaned the house from top to bottom twice, ready for her Mom to arrive home. Willow and Tara had moved their stuff back to the dorm after filling the fridge with supplies and had promised some Bronze time as soon as possible, and Xander was due any moment to pick her up and drive her to the airport to meet William and everyone else when they got off the plane. Even Sheila from the Gallery had been round to check that everything was ready for Joyce's homecoming.

Now all Buffy had to do was get dressed. She'd tried on everything in her wardrobe and nothing seemed right at all. It was either too slutty or not slutty enough. Too young or too old. If she didn't hurry Xander would go without her. Much as she loved her friend he had no patience waiting around for her to get dressed.

She looked around the clothes scattered over her bed. It looked like she'd been fighting a wardrobe monster. Tucked under a pair of jeans there was a flash of green: her summer dress that she had bought last year and not worn. It was a halter neck and perfect with the white kitten sandals. Putting her hair into a messy ponytail she smeared on some gloss just as she heard the horn from Xander's car. Dashing downstairs she grabbed her bag and headed out. Out to meet William from the plane.

Sunnydale airport was heaving: there were police and security everywhere. Xander had trouble getting somewhere to park and Buffy leapt out at a no-waiting sign. Whatever was happening, it was big. She made her way into the arrivals hall, where more and more security seemed to be blocking every entrance.

'Can't go in there, miss, unless you are actually meeting someone off the 2pm plane,' she was told by someone who looked like they were part mountain and part troll.

'I'm meeting my boyfriend and mom...'

'Name?' Troll man asked.

'Buffy Summers,' she told him, trying to find her ID in her bag.

He checked the list in front of him. 'Sorry, no Buffy Summers on the flight. Out!'

'My name is Buffy Summers. I'm meeting my mom, Joyce Summers...'

He at least looked at the list again. 'Yep, here's her name... Joyce Summers. You got some ID, kid? 'Cause you're not getting any further without it.' Xander skidded up behind her as she searched through her bag. Her student's ID had her name and address on it and the troll checked it very carefully before letting them both in.

'Wonder what's happening?' Xander mused, before heading for the doughnut stand to stock up on lunch.

Buffy never hated being short as much as she did at this moment. She couldn't see a thing. There were crowds of photographers and press all over the place as well as hordes of what seemed like teenagers and their mothers everywhere. She climbed up some stairs to get a better view and some idiot pushed her into the handrail. Finally she could see the arrivals gate where security were making some sort of pathway through the crowd towards the exits. Buffy started waving and calling as she spotted Joyce and William come through, but the screaming from the mob covered any noise she could make. She watched in absolute disbelief as Giles, William, and her mother dived into a limousine that had pulled up outside. Buffy just sat where she was, not noticing anyone as the crowd dispersed. Xander found her ten minutes later, still sitting on the stairs, still wondering what had happened.

The drive home was a quiet one, the radio playing softly. Xander looked across at Buffy: she seemed numb after the airport and he wondered what had happened.

As soon as the car pulled up outside her house, she kissed him quickly on the cheek and ran inside, hoping her mother had made it safely home.

'Pumpkin, I thought you were going to meet us at the airport?' Joyce said as she hugged her daughter close. 'The house looks wonderful, though. The flowers were a nice touch.'

'They were from Willow and Tara, and I was there to meet you. I just couldn't get through the fans!' She didn't mean to sound petulant, and she knew she'd regret it but it just came out that way.

'They were a bit much. I must admit I was scared, but Giles took it all in his stride, and had cars waiting.' Joyce smiled at the memory of how well Ripper had looked after her.

'You had fun then?'

'Oh yes, we...' Joyce wasn't allowed to finish what she saying.

'NO DETAILS!' Buffy shouted at her mother. 'I really don't want details about what the two of you were up to while you were away!'

Joyce grinned: it wasn't a mother's smile, it was a grin. A 'I've been up to no good,' grin.

'Glad to be home?' Buffy asked.

'Glad to be back with you,' Joyce told her. 'Now, what have you been up to?'

They spent the next couple of hours catching up and chatting. Buffy loved every second of it, but now she wanted to see William. Not Spike, but William. She showered and dressed as quickly as possible before pulling on her jeans and top and heading out.

William watched as Buffy crossed the road. He'd been disappointed that she hadn't bothered to come and meet him, and even more upset when he'd seen her kiss the new boyfriend when he'd dropped her off.

He let his father answer the door, and hid in the garage with the one lady who would never let him down, his beloved deSoto.

'Hi Giles: is William around?' Buffy asked as the older man opened the door for her. It was her Giles there, not the rock star who had been to London with her mother, but her Giles.

'He's in the garage my dear, but he doesn't seemed to be in the best of moods at the moment,' the man answered softly. He knew that William wasn't happy with the girl, but for the life of him he didn't know why.

'I expect he's tired after all that travelling.' Buffy couldn't wait to see him. She'd missed him so much while he'd been away.

Neither of them had noticed that William had made his way into the kitchen to get a drink, and was now eavesdropping from behind the door. He didn't want to see Buffy, he didn't want to see the betrayal in her eyes, but he couldn't help but listen in to what she was saying.

'Your mother was expecting you at the airport: was everything alright?' Giles asked as he fetched his tweed jacket from the cupboard under the stairs. He needed to go out but didn't want to leave William and Buffy alone in the house if there was going to be trouble.

'Yep, lots. We went, but we couldn't get anywhere near you all through the crowds, and then you vanished off in a limo. Xander took forever to find me, then the traffic was horrendous leaving. So poor Mom had to come home to an empty house and me late.' Buffy was getting breathless, trying to tell him everything in one breath, and failing. Giles smiled.

'Your mum wasn't too happy about the crowds, seems someone had let the press know that Janus were flying in, though why anyone would want to stand and scream at an old man like me I have no idea,' Giles grinned at her and Buffy smiled back.

William chose that moment to make his presence felt. He'd been an idiot not to trust Buffy. Xander was in the car, and he'd seen them share a hug and a kiss in front of him. She'd been sitting on his lap and given Xander a kiss before now. William was just glad he hadn't said anything stupid. His mouth would have been writing cheques his nose would have had to pay, if the stories Joyce had told him were any guide.

'William!!' Buffy screamed as she flew into his arms, kissing him all over his face. William barely had time to catch her as she launched herself into his embrace.

'I'll be leaving, then,' Giles said as he walked out the door, shutting it firmly behind him, protecting the young lovers from view.
Chapter 13 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
a proper update, me and my beta in the same place at the same time....

I have nearly finished ths tale, spuffy loving soon i promise
Giles and William looked around the mess and scaffolding that dominated the main hall of the mansion on Crawford Street and smiled. It couldn't be better. They were delighted at the improvements and the new studio would be ready by the end of the year. Ready for Janus to start cutting their first new album in twenty three years. Giles found that he was actually excited at the prospect. William was just glad he'd have a real excuse to keep coming back to Sunnydale during the next few years.

Buffy was spending the morning with her books. She needed to catch up a little on her studies if she had a hope of passing her finals this year. She reached out for the half empty coffee mug and took a large swig.

'Blah!' she shuddered, there was nothing worse than cold coffee. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs had dominated her morning for more than long enough. The cold coffee was the spur she needed to get off her butt and move. Waiting for the coffee maker to finish, Buffy looked out of the window at the back yard. She really wanted to go swimming; perhaps tomorrow if she got this assignment finished in time. Taking the mug she headed back into the lounge when the phone rang.

'Buffy, It's Faith. I need someone to talk to.' Her strong, tough friend was nearly in tears and Buffy could hear the frustration in her voice.

Homework and Maslow would have to wait. Faith needed her. Buffy picked up the cordless phone, c-u-r-led up in the arm chair and prepared herself to be the good friend she was...







The hotel was amazing. Faith's fundraising Ball was going to be the hit of the year. The limos pulling up outside gave testament to the money arriving inside. Buffy and Joyce arrived in a white limo, the driver holding the door open and helping them out. Tara and Willow were in the car behind, along with Xander, who looked amazing in his tux.

Xander hadn't wanted to go with the girls. Oh, he knew that it was all expenses paid for him, thanks to the amount of labour he'd helped Faith with when she was building the dojo at The Magic Box, but he also knew he couldn't afford to pay for the Tuxedo he needed, or the flowers he wanted to get for Anya. He'd gone with Oz when the green-haired guitarist had gone to get his: somehow, and Xander still wasn't sure how, his own suit had been added to the pile that was growing on the counter. Oz had pulled out a black American Express and paid for the lot. Oz had just shrugged when Xander had mentioned it.

'No big deal, it all goes on expenses anyhow,' he'd explained before heading back out to his van. Xander had just followed on, carrying the bags.

Xander was brought out of his reverie when he heard a very un-lady-like screech from the car following his. Tara and Willow were already making their way over to the doorman, who looked about 12 foot tall and ugly: Xander wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been part troll, but troll-man smiled at the girls as he let them through the rope barrier. Xander looked around to see who was pretending to be the banshee.

'Do we have to come to this dumb thing?' Cordelia Chase complained as her father and mother walked ahead of her to the main entrance. Xander just watched as she pushed past him and everyone else in her way.

'Because, young lady, it is going to be one of the social events of the year. Even the Governor is going to be here and at $300 a ticket, you are going to go in and be the epitomy of a well-brought-up young woman,' Simon Chase snarled at his daughter.

Xander snorted: he couldn't help it. Queen C just looked so angry.

'Waiting-on staff go in around back, Harris,' Cordelia told him condescendingly when she saw him watching her. 'They don't use the front entrance.'

'Will you be servicing the rooms later?' He shot back as he made his way to the troll.

'Mr and Mrs Chase, plus1,' he heard in front of him as the family made their way through the doors.

Cordelia Chase stopped inside. She couldn't wait to see Harris thrown out: it would make her evening complete. Well, that and the new dress her mother had bought her.

'Certainly Mr Harris, if you could just follow Warren, he'll show you to the VIP area. I believe the others are already there.' Xander couldn't help but smirk at the look on Cordelia's face as the assistant led him through the waiting crowds and up the stairs ahead of everyone else. It was good to have friends in high places.


The evening had gone brilliantly, the sit down dinner was to die for and the conversation sparkling. Sitting the Governor between Darla and Joyce had been an inspired move. They soon had him eating out of their hands. Support for the Magic Box was guaranteed, much to Faith's delight.

Most of the menfolk at their table had slipped away before the coffee had been served, leaving Xander outnumbered by the women. He watched Anya as she made her excuses as well, but he didn't appreciate the way James Sullivan watched her walk away. Lech.

Cordelia looked bored. She hated these stupid functions, the only high spot for her was that the losers from college had come with Buffy's mom, and not with dates. When she could she watched Buffy closely; Angel would be delighted with the story of Buffy sitting at the table all alone.

Faith felt a little nervous as she stood up in front of the huge crowd and thanked them all for coming. Her voice could hardly be heard for the roar of applause as Spike Giles, Clem Rayne, 'Oz' Osbourne, and Anya Jenkins took their places behind her.
Faith gave Buffy a grin and continued.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from their amazing tour of Britain, and before they hit LA next week, the hottest band on the West Coast: Vampire's Kiss!'

The crowd went mad, and as Oz played the first notes on his guitar the music took over the room.

Buffy smiled up at William, no, Spike, as he stepped up to the microphone to start singing. He looked totally different from the man she'd first met: gone were the nerdy clothes, the glasses and the mouse-blond hair. In their place stood the epitomy of a rock god. Spike's bleached blond hair was slicked back and his jeans looked like they'd been sprayed on from a can of paint. The biggest change was to his face. He had painted eye liner around his eyes, making them seem even bluer, and without the glasses you couldn't recognise him as the same man. Cordelia was drooling: Xander could see it pooling at the corner of her mouth. Spike's voice dominated the music, blending with the bass then weaving in and out of the melody. Buffy would have done anything for him at that moment. When he smiled down at her, she melted into a puddle of goo, and she knew she loved this amazing man. Poet and warrior, man and God. He was hers and she certainly was his.

See the picture in the hall
Framed in magic on the wall
Ain't it funny how it glows
What's on the inside no one knows
What makes this picture so inviting
To those who stand outside it
Maybe it's the dancers
Or maybe it's the dance
the dancer dances

Thousands will fill the gallery
Pay their price to see a dream
They can make believe for free
Two hours' worth of fantasy
Maybe they pretend the picture's them
Or maybe they just love to sit and blend
Maybe it's the dancer
Or maybe it's the dance
the dancer dances

Tonight the picture has no frame
Colours unleash and float away
To each and every one of you
Tonight the spirit brings the news
You become a part of it all
Thousands turn to one in the hall
You become the dancer
And we become the dance
the dancer dances

(The Dance by the amazing Uriah Heep)



After Vampire's Kiss had finished their set the crowd went wild again as Giles and his friends took to the stage. The Governor asked Joyce to dance as the music to Janus started to fill the ballroom. Cordelia pushed her way to the front of the stage to try and grab any of the band's attention. Xander watched in disgust as she pulled the top part of her dress down to display her assets even more freely. Buffy had also made her way forward. She was still wearing the VIP pin she had been given and the security guards allowed her through to the stage itself.

Cordelia's face was priceless, in fact Willow and Tara would have paid money to see it under any circumstances, as Buffy leapt into the hot lead singer's arms and kissed him senseless. Oz slipped his bass off and jumped onto the dance floor, insinuating himself between Willow and Tara as they were dancing together. Neither girl seemed to mind, though. Xander held his hand out and helped Anya down, not letting go when her feet hit the floor. He didn't think the woman had ever looked sexier than when she was up on stage. His hands slid down her thighs and he felt the satin under his fingers. Anya smiled up at him and kissed him deeply on the lips. Only Clem was left without a partner for the dancing and he preferred to have a drink at the bar. His wife wouldn't appreciate him picking up strange women anyway.

From early days of infancy, through trembling years of youth
Long murky middle-age and final hours long in the tooth
He is the hundred names of terror-creature you love the least
Picture his name before you and exorcise the beast.

He roved up and down through history-spectre with tales to tell
In the darkness when the campfire's dead-to each his private Hell
If you look behind your shoulder as you feel his eyes to feast
You can witness now the ever-changing nature of the Beast.

Beastie!

If you wear a warmer sporran, you can keep the foe at bay
You can pop those pills and visit some psychiatrist who'll say -
There is nothing I can do for you, everywhere's a danger zone
I'd love to help get rid of it but I've got one of my own.

There's a beast upon my shoulder and a fiend upon my back
Feel his burning breath a-heaving, smoke oozing from his stack
And he moves beneath the covers or he lies below the bed
He's the Beast upon your shoulder, He's the price upon your head

He's the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too
He's your private nightmare pricking, He's just love to turn the screw
So stand as one defiant - Yes. and let your voices swell
Stare that Beastie in the face and really give him Hell.

(Beastie by Jethro Tull)


The evening was a hit. The donations flooded in and Faith knew she had raised enough money to keep the Magic Box open and safe for at least five years. She hadn't meant to cry, she wasn't that sort, but to know the kids were safe was brilliant. Robin wrapped his arms around her and held her close. It wasn't often Faith showed any sort of weakness, and it felt good to be able to be strong for her for a change.

Faith watched as Giles led Joyce towards the elevators. They had been given suites on the top floor, their luggage had already been delivered and Faith knew that she wouldn't see them again. Cordelia was leaving with her parents as Buffy and William made their way up the stairs, Buffy's head resting on William's shoulder for a few seconds before he swung the blonde up in his arms and carried her the rest of the way. She looked round at Robin as she felt his arm slip around her waist. Carrying her high-heeled shoes she went with him to the elevators and their own bed, happier than she'd been in years. Her family had come through for her big time.
Chapter 14 by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
I am a bad author. I know its been far too long since my updates,
I have only excuses. My son has been unwell, school holidays and RL and its been 8 weeks since I had peace and quiet
Buffy wrapped her arm around William's neck as he cradled her close to his chest. She felt amazing being carried in his arms, it felt like something out of a romance novel. William leant down slightly and kissed her on the lips: it was a gentle kiss, soft as a butterfly's wing but it sent shock waves through her body.

'Time for all good girls to be in bed,' he whispered as they approached her room. He set her down onto her feet and took the card key from her fingers, slipping it into the lock. 'Good night, Buffy,' he said softly before turning to go to his own room.

'And just where do you think you're going?' she asked quietly, leaning on the half open door.

'Buffy, we've never... I didn't want to put any pressure on you, I'll wait as long as you need.'

That was her William, all stuttering and falling over his words. Buffy wanted to giggle at his lack of eloquence.

She smiled at him. 'I've waited long enough, unless you don't want to.' Buffy hadn't meant to sound so insecure but it came out anyway.

William silenced her worries with a kiss. 'I've wanted to since I first saw you in that cheerleader's outfit,' he told her honestly. 'I just need to know this is what you want, Buffy, because if you let me in all the way I am never going to let you go, you know that.'

Buffy reached out her hand and grasped his, pulling him gently into the room and shutting the door behind them. Before she could move again, William had her pinned against the wall, his strong hands around her waist and his lips hungry for hers. He rubbed his leg up and down the place where her thighs touched one another, trying to gain entrance to the space between. Buffy moaned into his mouth, sending vibrations through his body. He licked the crease in her lips, begging for entrance and when she moaned a second time his tongue darted in and started exploring the inside of her mouth.

Buffy revelled in the taste of him, the feel of him as he traced her tongue, her teeth, her gums. She pulled him closer and opened her legs a little, feeling his strong thigh at the apex of her legs. Buffy could feel the material of her dress trap his leg, preventing it from going any further, but she rubbed herself up and down it, desperate for some relief from the storm building inside her. She could hear William groaning, his hard length pressed into her hip. It felt... wonderful...

William felt the satin and velvet under his questing hand. Buffy's fingers were doing amazing things to him, rubbing over his chest, his skin almost over-sensitive to the linen of his shirt. He could feel her nails scratch down the outside, setting him on fire with every move she made.

'Buffy,' he groaned as her clever fingers started to unbutton his shirt, her mouth breaking away from his to kiss the revealed flesh. William traced his hands over the bunched-up material and around the curve of her hip. He could feel the boning under the smooth satin top as he made his way slowly around to the top of the lacing that ran down past the curve of her delectable arse. William had been hypnotised by the lacing all night. He had fantasised about undoing the satin bow and unlacing the ribbon that held the two sides of the boned material together. William turned Buffy around, keeping his lips firmly on hers until her back was all he could see. He pulled gently on the ribbon, watching as the bow slipped out. His fingers didn't seem his own as they slipped each cross of the ribbon out from its hole. As they came free more and more of her back was exposed to his hungry eyes. William stroked the skin he could see and watched as Buffy shivered under his touch. William kissed her shoulder as he pushed the fabric away from her body. He knew it must have pooled on the floor, but his eyes were on the woman in front of him.

William turned her in his arms and picked her up bride-style and carried her to the bed. Her stockings felt wonderful under his arms. Buffy could feel the light smattering of hair on his forearms brush the back of her knees...

William's romantic display was almost derailed when he reached the bed. Between the pillows there was a huge bouquet of deep red roses. On the small table there was an ice-bucket with a bottle of Louis Roederer Cristal Rose and two crystal glasses.
William let Buffy down gently, her corset rubbing his arms as he lowered her feet to the floor.

William handed the roses to her before pulling back the covers. Buffy inhaled deeply, smelling the rich perfume. The almost heady fragrance added to the romance of the room and the evening. As his hands pulled at the sheet, Buffy noticed he was shaking. With excitement or fear she wasn't sure, but he was trembling.

Buffy ran her fingers around the edge of William's shirt. Slipping the last of the buttons through their holes, she tugged it free of his dress pants as he poured two glasses of champagne. Buffy's fingers felt like lightning against his skin: he had never reacted to a simple touch the way he reacted to hers.

Buffy accepted the flute from him and sipped the pink sparkling wine, the bubbles flying up her nose and making her want to sneeze. She forgot the feeling completely when William started kissing her again. His feather-light lips traced their way down her face and along her jaw, down her neck and along her collar bone, and down her shoulder and along the swell of her breasts, his tongue tracing the outline of the corset she wore.

William's nimble fingers started undoing the catches holding the material together, opening more and more of her breasts to his perusal. William followed the material down with kisses and licks and soft nips with his teeth, sending shock-waves of pleasure through Buffy's body.

Buffy moaned. She could feel the heat building in her belly, pooling itself between her legs: she wanted more, she needed more, she just didn't know what. The flowers fell from her hands, landing on the floor as William wrapped his arms around her waist and swung her up onto the bed. Buffy felt the pillows behind her and rested her head back against them.

William toed off his boots and looked at his beloved Buffy spread out before him. She was still wearing the tiniest pair of knickers he had ever seen, and her legs were encased in sheer hold-up stockings, her feet in the black high-heeled pumps she had been wearing all evening. He knelt on the bed above her, running his hands along her legs, down her calves and to her feet.

'Take them off me,' Buffy whispered, but he shook his head.
'I want to feel those heels dig in me as I make you scream,' he told her before letting his hands run back up her legs to the junction of her thighs. He slipped a finger under the edge of her thong and stroked up between her lower lips.

'So wet for me,' he told her as he kissed her deeply again. Buffy could feel the hardness of his shaft pressing deeply into her thigh. The apparent size of it made her slightly apprehensive, but her mind soon returned to the hungry kisses William was giving her. She could feel his fingers exploring her most intimate place, moving against her heated flesh. Buffy tried to rub hard against his fingers, tried to make him rub her harder but William held back.

He plundered her mouth with his tongue, fighting for control for mastery of her. Buffy whimpered, sending vibrations through him. William kissed her down her near naked body, nipping and licking as he worshipped the woman spread out before him. His cock was stiffer than he had ever known, it almost hurt. William slipped his fingers out from her moist sheath and pulled her panties down her legs, still licking and nipping at her breasts. As her panties were free from her body he slipped his knee in between her thighs, pushing them apart. He sat back a little to take in the sight below him. She lay spread out like some pagan sacrifice, ready for his pleasure. He could feel his shaft weeping slightly at just the thought of being buried inside her body.

Buffy felt completely breathless, as though the air had been sucked from the room. She watched as William reached for a condom before catching his wrist in her petite hand.

'I'm on the pill, I started before you went away, and I'm clean. I don't want anything between us.'

Could this woman be any more perfect for him? William wondered as he kissed her deeply before bringing his other knee to the space between hers. He lifted her legs 'til they rested on his shoulders and started licking down her slit, tasting the ambrosia her body was producing. Buffy moaned at all the new sensations racing through her untried body, pooling in her lower abdomen, begging for release. William's talented tongue pulled on her clit as he sucked her juices from her. Buffy thrashed from side to side as her orgasm built: she had never felt this way before. As her first ever climax hit her, Buffy swore she could see fireworks flash in front of her eyes, and she screamed his name, her high heels digging into William's shoulders as she came.
Before she was totally recovered William licked and sucked at her clit again, bringing her closer and closer to an edge she hadn't believed even existed until this night. William continued to stimulate her body until her could feel her walls start to flutter for a second time. He thrust his tongue into her channel and could feel the barrier he was about to break.

'I need you too much to be as gentle as I should, Buffy,' he whispered to her, but Buffy was too far gone to hear his words. Taking one last sip of the honey she was producing William lowered her legs from his shoulders and wrapped them around his waist. He could feel the heels digging into his arse as he lined up his cock against her virgin hole.

'Please, William, I need...' Buffy was incapable of even finishing the sentence.

'Shhh, it's alright baby, I know what you need and I'll take care of you, I promise,' he told her as the tip of his swollen cock slipped into Buffy. He managed to control himself for a couple of seconds before Buffy dug her heels into him, forcing him forward, fast. He could feel her virginity break as he entered her properly for the first time. It was a feeling he would never forget.

William stilled his body to allow them both to get used to the sensations coursing through their veins. Buffy felt like she was burning up from his touch, every time their skin touched she expected flames to erupt in the passing. She had taken a deep breath and tensed as the discomfort took the place of pleasure for a few seconds. She looked straight up into William's eyes and felt her heart melt. It was at that moment Buffy realised just how much she loved this man.

'I love you,' she whispered as her hips started moving of their own accord.

William felt his spirit soar. 'Love you, love you so much...' he told Buffy as he peppered her face with kisses.

They started the oldest dance of all. William could feel his cock sliding in and out of her velvet-soft walls. The noises Buffy was making beneath him were making him even crazier. He moved his hips in and out. Buffy could feel his pubic bone hitting her clit on every thrust, making her climb higher and higher. Thought and reason fled her mind and she was left just feeling. Feeling every movement, every touch and caress, feeling the love William was pouring into his actions. She could feel his hands on her arms, brushing up and down, then moving to her hips, his fingers digging into her flesh. She knew she would have bruises in the morning, wonderful, delightful bruises. William nipped and sucked at her neck: the sensation was more than she could take and she tumbled over the edge and into darkness, biting down on his shoulder as she did so.

The feeling and sight of Buffy orgasming beneath him, her slick walls constricting his cock, fluttering around him, milking his cock pushed him over the edge and he joined her where stars and fireworks met.

When they came to, they started again. Dawn was creeping across the sky before William and Buffy finally slept, exhausted and sated, wrapped in each other's arms. They were late joining everyone else for breakfast, but they were forgiven when Willow and Tara saw the size of the diamond in the ring on her finger. Buffy had never felt more loved or less alone. She was surrounded by people who loved her as she loved them. And William was home.
epilogue by jamies_lady
Author's Notes:
thanks to everyone who has taken the time to review this fic. Its finally at the scene that started it all off for me, I saw this in my mind's eye and wrote the tale to reach it. Hope you have enjoyed
Ten years later.

'Honey, I'm home!' Spike called as he came through the front door of his house. Tripping over the trike and avoiding the dog, he made his way into the kitchen where Jenny the housekeeper was cooking dinner. The fresh coffee perfumed the room and Spike knew he would have to have one later, despite his normal limit.

'They're out by the pool, Mr Giles,' Jenny told him as she pulled a tray of cookies out of the oven. 'You'll burn your mouth!' she warned as Spike made the most peculiar noises as he tried to eat the baking hot cookie. Spike knocked a couple of photos off the ice box as he walked passed. A frown from Jenny made him step back and pick them up, replacing them under their magnets.


Buffy felt the sun shine down on her as she relaxed in the water. It had been a hard week at the clinic she ran at the Magic Box, but it was good to put her qualifications to use. Not that she needed to work, of course. She giggled to herself. There had been some high points this week: Angel had been brought into the Drink Driving session as part of his punishment from court. Buffy had tried to feel compassion for him, but had little sympathy for someone who was caught twice over the limit with their 18-month-old son in the car. It was another hefty fine, 30 days in lock-up and the counselling program. Cordy had looked exhausted when she had picked him up from his latest session. Working two jobs and looking after a child had not made things easy for the ex prom queen. Buffy made a mental note to see if she could help. Perhaps the studio needed a new receptionist? Life had been hard for Cordelia Chase, but the knocks had actually softened the woman and she was a lot less bitchy than she used to be.

Buffy looked up as the gate alarm into the swimming pool area went off and watched as Spike Giles, lead singer of Vampire's Kiss, made his way into her yard. Little Joy splashed water on the visitor as she swum up and down the pool. Baby Richard was floating in his swim seat by his momma.

'Hi gorgeous,' Spike purred at her. 'Fancy dumping the kids and playing with me?' he asked with a leer spread across his face. Buffy looked up at the man, his bleached blond hair slicked back and eye make-up outlining his amazing azure blue eyes. He looked like most women's wet dream of a rock god.

Buffy shook her head. 'My husband is due home soon, so you had better make yourself scarce. He's the jealous type,' she told him with a straight face.

'Leave him, run away with me,' Spike asked her. It was an old game they played. Buffy shook her head. 'I love him,' she said simply.

Spike laughed. 'In that case I had better go and take all this makeup off and find William for you!'

'You do that, Spike Giles, because I'm not the cheating type,' she answered primly, smiling as her husband made his way back to the house to change out of his stage clothes and back into his William persona. It was how he managed to stay sane, how they managed to stay sane. Spike Giles was a world-renowned musician and producer. He was co-owner of the Mansion Recording Studios and all-around rock star. William Giles was a poetry-loving nerd who was married to a wonderful woman. Buffy loved watching Spike on stage and off, but she loved William.

Buffy and William spent another hour in the water before Halli, their nanny, came to take her charges in for a rest. It would be a long evening. They were having a barbeque and everyone was coming over.

Willow, Tara and Oz were flying up from L.A. The three of them had been together for six years now. Tara was still not into men, but Willow was into Tara and Oz. It worked for them. Little Daniel would be coming as well. Their three year old son was spoilt rotten by both his mommas and his dad. Willow's internet company allowed her to stay home with Tara while Oz was on tour. The laid back bass player and his two ladies had the perfect life for them and for their family. Tara had said that she wanted the next baby. Maybe that's what they wanted to talk about. Buffy dipped her head under the water and listened to her children's laughter.

Faith and Robin had just set up another Magic Box, this one in Cleveland, and were coming home for a rest before the birth of their own child later in the year.
Anya and Xander had flown in from Europe with their brood just forty-eight hours ago. Xander's company was one of the best in the business and he had just won the contract to do the stage sets for the next Janus tour. Anya's clever business head handled most of the investments and corporate stuff for all of them. She had long given up playing in the band, preferring to play with Xander and 'all that lovely money' and 'all those wonderful orgasms.'

Even Clem would be with them, and he had asked if he could bring a girlfriend with him. A first for the drummer.

Joyce and Giles, as well as the rest of Janus, had promised to drive up from LA. It was going to be a houseful and a half. But worth it for Joy's fifth birthday party.

Buffy smiled as William led her towards the pool house. It was one of the few places the kids couldn't find them in the mansion he had built for his lady. They had a few hours of loving before everyone descended and Jenny could cope until then.

Life was good, very good and William intended to do everything he could to keep it that way.

His heart sang and the words to his latest song ran through his mind. Yes, life was very good for the Giles family and their friends.

The way you're bathed in light
reminds me of that night
god laid me down into your rose garden of trust
and I was swept away
with nothin' left to say
some helpless fool
yeah I was lost in a swoon of peace
you're all I need to find
so when the time is right
come to me sweetly, come to me
come to me

love will lead us, alright
love will lead us, she will lead us
can you hear the dolphin's cry?
see the road rise up to meet us
it's in the air we breathe tonight
love will lead us, she will lead us

oh yeah, we meet again
it's like we never left
time in between was just a dream
did we leave this place?
this crazy fog surrounds me
you wrap your legs around me
all I can do to try and breathe
let me breathe so that I
so we can go together!

love will lead us, alright
love will lead us, she will lead us
can you hear the dolphin's cry?
see the road rise up to meet us
it's in the air we breathe tonight
love will lead us, she will lead us

life is like a shooting star
it don't matter who you are
if you only run for cover, it's just a waste of time
we are lost 'til we are found
this phoenix rises up from the ground
and all these wars are over

over
over
singin' la da da, da da da
over
come to me
singin' la da da da, da da da
come to me

Lyrics. When Dolphins cry... Live
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=33641