The Space Between by stardusterk
Summary: AU - Splits off in Season Six after Buffy and Spike, er, bring down the house. After Faith is killed by a powerful master vamp, Buffy leaves Sunnydale intent on avenging her sister slayer's death. She promises to return but just how long will a love-sick vamp wait? Disclaimer: Joss owns everyone... except for Nick. He's my little Spike substitute, and a poor one at that.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5942 Read: 4059 Published: 07/24/2004 Updated: 07/24/2004

1. Will I Hold You Again by stardusterk

2. Baby, Stay Gone by stardusterk

3. Back Among the Living by stardusterk

Will I Hold You Again by stardusterk



Well done, Slayer. You have passed the final trial," the brightly glowing oracle beamed down at the disheveled blonde slayer. There had been no doubt that this one would complete the required tests. Her will and her thirst for knowledge were strong. "We shall answer your question."

Buffy inwardly sighed in relief but outwardly showed not change. The last few days had been difficult and it had taken the last of her strength to defeat the last thorny demon. "Why wasn't another Slayer called when Faith died? Why have my powers been increasing?"

"There was no need for another slayer. We have taken the other's power and put it in you. You will need the strength and skill in the battles to come. You, Buffy Summers, are the last. This is your reward," the oracle responded.

"What kind of reward is that? I don't want to be the last!" Buffy protested angrily. She attempted to rush forward and attack the oracle, but Spike's strong arms held her back. Hot tears welled up in her hazel eyes. She didn't want to be the last slayer. She wanted rest - the peace she'd found in heaven, not to spend eternity fighting demons.

The oracle began fading out of sight and time seemed to return to normal. "Take care, Slayer. The days to come will be rough, but you must persevere. The weight of the world is on your shoulders."

Before Buffy could respond, the oracle was gone. She on her heel and met Spike's sympathetic eyes. "I-I'm the last," she stuttered, her voice breaking. She shrugged off his arms and started walking in the direction of her house. This, on top of everything else, was too much to take in.

Once at the house, she ignored the questioning gazes of her friends. Spike would explain it all to them, he loved to talk and right now she wasn't up to it. There was something she had to take care of first. She shut the basement door firmly behind her and slowly descended the stairs. A low growl came from the direction of the far wall.

Buffy flipped on a light to reveal Faith, in full demonic visage, chained to the wall. She wearily paced in front of the former slayer.

Faith tested the strength of the chains and found them to be quite strong. "Come a little closer, B, I have a secret to tell you," she taunted, tugging on the chains again, though she knew there was no way to get free.

"I'm sorry this happened, Faith. If I had only gotten there a little sooner..." Buffy broke off as the painful memories washed over her. When Giles had called and warned that a very powerful vampire was on his way to California, she and the rest of the gang automatically assumed he was headed for Sunnydale. It was only after Angel reported a surge in mysterious deaths in L.A. that Buffy realized the attack was meant for Faith.

Faith threw back her head laughed mirthlessly. "I'm not. I'll finally find out what makes slayer blood so special. And when I'm done with you, we'll see what that nice tasty key of a sister is like."

Buffy hung her head and slowly pulled Mr. Pointy out of the waistband of her jeans. She tested the weight then lifted her head, her eyes shining with unshed tears. The two slayers had never been very close, but she felt a bond with the dark-haired woman. Faith was the only person who could understand the strain and aloneness that came with being a slayer. "I'm sorry," she whispered the before swiftly burying the stake in Faith's dead heart.

She turned and walked up the stairs, unwilling to see the other woman's body turn to dust and crumble to the ground. Before entering the living room where her friends were waiting anxiously for an explanation, she paused in the doorway and wiped her eyes. Faith was dead and she should have been there to stop it.

"You okay, pet?" Spike appeared in the doorway, his face the picture of concern. He started to reach out and touch her arm but pulled back at the last second. Though she had accepted some comfort from him earlier, he couldn't be sure she would now. He was growing more accustomed to her hot/cold mood swings.

Buffy nodded tersely and brushed past him to join the group. "Faith's dead. There won't be another slayer called. They made me some uber-slayer, the last slayer."

The Scoobies murmured appropriate words of concern and curiosity. She paid them no heed, choosing instead to focus on the rage boiling up inside of her. Her guilt over Faith's death and anger at the cowardly vampire who dared take on a practically helpless, incarcerated slayer were overwhelming. For the first time since she'd been brought back she felt as if she had a purpose, one that didn't revolve around tending to the Hellmouth.

She turned to Spike and spoke, her voice firm. "I need you to take care of Dawn." She held up her hand to stop the squeals of protestation from Xander. Yes, she was quite aware that Spike was a soulless demon, a vampire, blah, blah, blah, but he was the only one she trusted to watch her sister.

"Why? Where are you going?" Dawn demanded, jumping up and moving to stand in front of her sister, arms crossed over her chest. Buffy was always leaving her out of the loop and she was tired of it. After Faith had been killed, she'd rushed off to LA without saying a word to anyone now it seemed she was running off again.

Buffy pulled the teen in for a quick hug then kissed the girl's forehead. "I need to find Vorcus and kill him."

Dawn squeezed Buffy's hand, misunderstand why her sister needed to slay the vampire. There was no way of knowing when Vorcus would try and kill the last slayer.

"I'll watch the Bit," Spike agreed. Part of him longed to join the slayer on her quest for vengeance. It was sure to be a journey filled with violence and bloodshed. It would give him a chance to see the feral, huntress side of Buffy.

"When are you leaving?" Tara ever the voice of reason, queried.

Buffy shrugged her shoulders, unsure of exactly what to say. She was amazed they were taking this so easily. Surely the same friends who tore her out of heaven would protest against her leaving them for an indefinite length of time.

"We'll take care of the hellmouth for you, Buff, just come back," Xander was the first to pull his friend into a hug. She was passed around from Xander to Willow to Tara and a reluctant Anya.

"I'll see what I can do with Social Services' computer system and set up Spike as Dawn's guardian while you're gone," Willow offered, much to the slayer's relief. Though the witch wasn't pleased with the thought of Buffy venturing out on her own, she was pleased that Buffy was excited over something, even if it was tracking down a dangerous monster.

Buffy quickly hugged the redhead again then dashed up to her bedroom and began haphazardly throwing clothes and various weapons into a duffle bag. Spike cleared his throat before entering the room. He wordlessly thrust a thick wad of cash and a cell phone towards her.

"How? Why? Where did you -?" Buffy couldn't form complete sentences. Despite the way she'd treated him, ever since she'd heard about Faith's death, Spike had been her rock. He'd helped her track down the newly risen vampire and chain her in the basement. He'd located the oracle and warned her about the required trials. Now it seemed he was funding her trip.

"Got a job working for Willy. Figured you could use for house payments and such, but you're going to need it now." Seeing that she was done packing, he lead the way back downstairs. "The job won't interfere with watching Dawn. With all the squatters you have in here, someone's got to pay the rent."

Buffy stood on her toes and pressed a soft kiss to Spike's lips. "Thank you."

Her friends and sister were gathered around the front door. She hugged them all once more and sucked in a deep breath. "I love you guys."

"Are you coming back?" Willow grabbed her arm before she could step off the porch.

Buffy smiled softly. "Yeah, Will, I'll be back. I promise."

They stood on the front porch and watched until she disappeared from sight. Dawn turned and buried her face in Spike's shoulder. "She's not coming back, is she?"

Spike stroked the back of her head soothingly. "I don't know, pet, I don't know."
Baby, Stay Gone by stardusterk



--Two Months Later ---



Buffy breezed through the door and dumped her duffle bag in the middle of the foyer. "Dawn? Spike? Will? Tara? I'm home!" She was rewarded with the sound of feet thundering down the stairs. A smile flickered across her face when Dawn came into view.

"Buffy! You're back!" The younger Summers flew down the remaining steps and launched herself into Buffy's waiting arms.

Buffy held her sister for several moments, basking in the warmth of Dawn's love. The daily phone calls weren't enough to keep her from missing her sister and the rest of her friends.

"I knew you wouldn't be gone too long. Vorcus was no match for you, was he? Bloody wanker," Dawn gushed, guiding her sister towards the couch.

Depsite her feelings of failure, Buffy couldn't help but grin at Dawn's 'Spike-ism.' "Speaking of bloody wankers, where's your guardian? He didn't leave you alone did he?"

Dawn rolled her eyes at Buffy's over-protectiveness. "He's helping Anya with inventory. She's restocking the shelves and needed his muscle. Xander was offended that she didn't ask him for help so she told him that she didn't want him straining any 'important' muscles."

Buffy leaned back against the cushions and closed her eyes. It was nice to see that some people never changed. "What else is new on the hellmouth?"

The two girls talked for hours about Dawn's classes and Willow and Tara's reunion but somehow managed to keep the conversation off Buffy's quest. They were interrupted by the door swinging open and a blanket-covered Spike dashing through the door.

"Didn't I tell you to lock the door, Bit? Anyone could have come in here and just snatched you up. Then you'd have big sis back to playing kick the Spike and..." he stopped abruptly upon realizing that Dawn was not alone in the living room.

"Hi," Buffy waved, smiling at the shocked expression on the vampire's face.

Spike shook off the surprise and casually joined his two girls. "That was pretty quick. Guess all those rumors about Vorcus weren't exactly true, eh?"

The smile slid off Buffy's face and she focused her attention on the seam of the couch cushion, plucking at a few loose threads. "I didn't find him," she murmured softly.

Spike's heart went out to the disappointed blonde sitting across from him. He resisted the urge to gather her in his arms, choosing instead to awkwardly pat her on the shoulder.

"So you're just going to give up?" Dawn was confused by this revelation. Buffy had come back but did this mean she was leaving again?

The slayer shook her head slowly. "No, I'm not going to give up. A demon I ran into a couple days ago gave me a tip. I'm going to follow up in a few days."

Dawn's heart broke as she realized that her sister was indeed leaving once again. Why was it that people were always walking in and out of her life? Was there a revolving door somewhere that she didn't know about?

Seeing the look on the brunette's face, Buffy pulled the girl in for a hard embrace. "I'm so sorry Dawnie, but I can't just leave Vorcus out there roaming the streets. Who knows when he's going to come after us next?"

Dawn sniffled and tried to blink back the tears gathering in her eyes. "I know, it's just that I miss you so much."

Buffy tucked a lock of the girl's hair behind her ear and gently stroked the side of her cheek. "I know, I miss you, too."

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Spike stood and stuffed his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Did you finish your homework, Bit?"

The teen crossly muttered something about pushy vampires as she made her way back up the stairs to her room to finish her homework, leaving Buffy and Spike alone in the living room.

"You hungry, pet? I'm not a gourmet, but I could whip you up a sandwich," Spike suggested, sauntering into the kitchen.

Buffy hadn't eaten since before she'd left San Francisco so she followed closely behind Spike, sitting on a barstool while he made her sandwich.

"How are you doing... financially?" Spike queried hesitantly after setting down a mouth-watering sandwich in front of the slayer.

Buffy shrugged her shoulders as she bit into the delicious creation. "Still got a bit left. Don't really need much, just bus tickets and cheap motel rooms."

"When are you heading back out?" He kicked himself for even asking the question. Putting a number on the hours would only taint what little time he had left to spend with her.

Buffy finished the sandwich and wiped her hands on a napkin. "Two days. It's all the time I can spare. Even staying that long risks losing my chance to find Vorcus."

Spike sighed heavily and began putting away the leftover sandwich ingredients. A small hand around his wrist had him looking down into the unreadable eyes of the slayer. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him in for a deep, passionate kiss.

After two months of no physical contact with his lover, it took little encouragement to get Spike to join Buffy in her bed after turning up the stereo to keep Dawn from hearing them. He knew he was being used again, but this time was different. She still needed to feel, but this time she needed to feel loved. That was something she could handle.

An hour later he glanced over at the sleeping woman curled against his side. It would be hard to tell who would be more heartbroken when Buffy left again, him or Dawn. Selfishly he hoped it would be Dawn.


--- Four months later ---



A far-too familiar tingle on the back of his neck had Spike spinning around and scanning the dark cemetery for a flash of blonde hair. Finally he spotted Buffy leaning against a mausoleum a few feet away.

"Oi, Slayer, when did you get back?" Spike called out as he made his way to where Buffy was.

The blonde pushed away from the building and smiled at the vampire. "Few minutes ago. Looked at the clock and realized it was patrol time so I thought I'd come looking for you."

Spike had no time to respond before Buffy's warm lips fused themselves to his. From the urgency of her kiss and the quick way her hands were unbuckling his belt, he could only guess that she would soon be leaving Sunnydale once again. This was only another brief stop in her never-ending search for justice. He should push her away, tell her that he wasn't her personal play toy. He should make her see that this was as destructive and painful as the way she'd abused and beaten him months before. Then she slipped her hand inside his pants and all thinking stopped.


--- Six months later ---



"Hello gorgeous," Buffy greeted huskily as she slid onto the barstool.

Spike's stomach lurched when he noticed the woman before him. This last absence had been her longest to date. The phone calls had been few and far between. He'd alternated between anger at her for not keeping in touch and anger at himself for caring too much. Unfortunately Dawn was also upset by her sister's lack of communication. Buffy's last two disappearing acts had hurt the girl deeply.

"Well, aren't you going to say hello?" Buffy demanded, stung by Spike's silence.

Spike shook his head and wiped the bar with a damp rag. "Can I get you a drink?"

Buffy rolled her eyes and reached into her back pocket for her wallet. "Just give me a diet anything." She laid a twenty on the counter and watched as Spike reached under the bar then set a can in front of her. The twenty remained untouched.

Sensing that the vampire wasn't going to start the conversation, Buffy took the initiative. "When do you go on break?" she asked, the look in her eye giving every indication of what she really meant.

"Fifteen minutes," Spike responded before realizing exactly what he was doing. For the sake of his sanity he needed to forget about the slayer and all the feelings she evoked, not meet her in the alley for a quick shag.

Buffy nodded and sipped at the soda. She checked her watch every five minutes and when it was time quietly exited the bar. Spike followed several minutes later.

He gathered what was left of his willpower and held her at arm's length when she moved to press herself against him. "Is this another break or are you home for good?"

Buffy's eyes clouded with confusion. Why was he asking questions now? There was plenty of time for talking later. She needed him to wipe away the feelings of disappointment and frustration. He made her feel loved, special and invincible. "I can't stay for good. I still have to -"

"Find soddin' Vorcus. I've heard this song and dance before," Spike finished for her. "How are you doing for money?"

"Doing all right. Picked up a few side jobs as a demon bounty hunter. Don't know why I didn't think of it before, it pays pretty good," Buffy responded, still confused. She tried to move closer to Spike but his grip was firm. "What's wrong... don't you want..."

Spike sucked in a deep, unnecessary breath. It was now or never. "Does the Bit know you're here?"

"No, I came straight to see you, why?"

He released her arms and stepped back. "It'd be best if she didn't know about your visit. It'll only get her hopes up then send them crashing down when you leave again. You should just go now."

Buffy's eyes flashed with anger and her nostrils flared. "How dare you tell me when I can and can't see my sister!"

Spike eyed the small fists balled up at her sides. If making her angry was the only way to get her to leave then so be it. "Seeing as I'm the only bloody parent she'd had the past year, I'd say I have every right do what's best for her. If you're going to use those," he gestured towards her fists, "I suggest you be quick about it. I've got a job to do and my break's almost over."

Buffy sent a fist crashing into Spike's face, smirking in satisfaction as the sound of bone breaking. She turned on her heel and disappeared into the darkness. Spike dropped to his knees in the alley and hung his head. As much as he loved her, part of him hoped this time she'd just stay gone.
Back Among the Living by stardusterk



---Six Years Later---




Spike raised his head as the door to the bar opened. It was only two o'clock. Most of the regulars didn't start showing up until four or five. Not recognizing the man standing framed in the sunlight and not getting any "vibes" from the visitor, he returned his attention to his newspaper.

The dark-haired burly man let out a small grunt as the petite blonde behind him pushed him further into the building. "What are we doing in a place like this?" he demanded in a hoarse whisper.

Buffy rolled her eyes and let the door swing shut behind her. "Keep your mouth shut, Nick. He's got vamp hearing, remember?"

Having heard their whispered conversation, Spike folded his newspaper and set it on the smooth countertop. He stared at the woman for a moment before finally realizing why she looked so familiar. A shoulder-length cap of burgundy and gold streaked hair replaced a fall of honey-blonde tresses. She was thinner but the addition of lean muscle kept her from the anorexic look she'd once sported. Where there had once only been a hint of the extent of her power, she now glowed with an intense aura of strength. "Buffy?"

The girl in question grinned and sauntered over to the bar. "Hello Spike. Long time no see." She leaned against the bar and motioned for her companion to follow.

Spike couldn't help but notice the way her tight black leather pants clung to her slim legs or how the form-fitting red t-shirt accentuated her curves. Her leather duster looked eerily similar to the one hanging in his closet. He frowned upon realizing that his ex-lover's comrade was a vampire. Why hadn't his sense alerted him?

"Neat trick, huh? It's just a little glamour a witch in Minsk came up with. Was tired of Nick setting my spidey sense off all the time. Plus it solves the pesky sun problem," Buff winked, correctly guessing the reason behind the blonde vamp's frown. "Spike, I'd like you to meet Nicholas. Nicky, this is the infamous William the Bloody."

The dark-haired vampire held out a hand and waited for the other man to move. Spike reluctantly shook the vamp's hand. He didn't like the idea of his former lover traveling with anyone other than him. Part of him knew that it was his fault for the harsh way he'd treated her six years earlier, but it still hurt. "What brings you back to Sunnyhell? Last I heard you were cutting a swath through the demon population in Belize." There was no denying the pride he felt. It always thrilled him to hear demons and vamps speak of the Slayer with words of fear and trepidation.

"Too damn humid in Belize," Nick muttered as he flopped down on a barstool. He rested his weary head on his hands.

Buffy smiled grimly and ruffled her friend's dark hair. "Yeah, it was hot, but that's not why we left. Heard a rumor that Vorcus was there but it was just another false lead," she couldn't help the tinge of bitterness in her tone. "I'm tired of running around in circles. Came back here for a little break."

"Glad you're home," Spike said sincerely. There had been doubts that she'd ever return to Sunnydale. He was the only one who held out hope that she would come back as promised, despite his brain telling him that it was best if she never returned.. Even Dawn, growing tired of hearing her sisters 'I think I've got him,' had stopped counting the days until Buffy came home.

Nick glanced back and forth between his friend and the muscular blond man behind the bar. The tension between the two was thick enough to cut with his double-edged sword. "If you don't mind, sweets, I'm going to head back to the hotel. It was nice finally meeting you, Spike. Good to put an face to a name." Nick shoved away from the bar and quickly headed out the door. The slayer's little sister hadn't been too pleased at the thought of having an unfamiliar vampire staying in HER house. He'd graciously offered to stay in the local hotel and was surprised when Buffy asked him to reserve a room for her. Apparently the atmosphere at the Summers house was a little to chilly for her liking.

Buffy waved at her companion's retreating back then perched on the stool he'd vacated. "You're looking good, Spike," her voice was soft and hesitant. She still remembered every detail of their last meeting. Did he still hate her?

"So, you and another vampire, huh? Must be a slayer thing. Where'd you pick this one up? Does he have a soul?" Spike fired off questions faster than she could answer.

She held up one hand and waited for the barrage to cease. Same old Spike. "Heel, boy. I ran into him in Paris. Vorcus had just dusted his mate and Nick was looking for revenge. No, he doesn't have a soul."

"Ah, so you two are... together?" Spike waited anxiously for her answer. Though she hadn't been ready for any relationship when she left, a lot could happen in six years.

"A world of no," Buffy shook her head emphatically, pleased to find that it was easy to talk to her ex-lover face to face. She'd been hesitant to see him again. Despite the casual phone calls they shared, she couldn't help but remember the atrocious way she'd treated him during her brief visits home.

Spike reached into a small fridge and handed the blonde a bottle of water. "Bit, Red, Glinda, Whelp, and the Watcher have missed you."

"Could have fooled me. Giles was too busy at the shop to even talk to me when I called. By the way, when did he move back to Sunnydale? Dawn practically shoved me out of the house and refused to let me invite Nick in. Xander and Anya were nowhere to be found. Willow was at work and Tara was the only one willing to talk to me. I heard that Xander and Anya are expecting another baby." She smiled wistfully. Though her quest for vengeance had been a necessary one, she missed her once tight-knit group of friends.

"Oh yeah. That's all they can bloody talk about these days. You should see Raine. She's absolutely beautiful. She looks just like Anya." He pulled out his wallet and laid a picture on the table.

She picked up the picture and traced a finger across the little girl's pixie face. "I'm tired," she murmured so softly that even with enhanced hearing Spike almost didn't catch her confession.

He quickly stepped around the bar and put an arm around her thin shoulders. He grew even more concerned when she leaned against him. The Buffy he knew never would have accepted comfort from anyone.

"I'm tired of running around looking for something I'm never going to find. I just need to face it: Vorcus is never going to be caught. I don't know how much more of this I can take. The hunting, the killing, the chases. I'm just really, really tired," she closed her eyes and concentrated on the comforting smell of cigarettes and whiskey that was Spike.

He took a moment to delve into her innermost thoughts, courtesy of a seldom-used trick Willow had taught him. He saw years spent tracking demons and beating them for information before killing them. He felt her disappointment at finding that she was always a day too late. Her doubts about the validity of the mission and uncertainties concerning her own humanity made his heart ache. Though not possible, he felt the immortal slayer in his arms grow a little older.

"You're still too skinny," he observed, feeling her ribs peeking through the t-shirt.

Buffy pulled back slightly to stare up into Spike's deep unreadable eyes. "I've really missed you." As she'd discovered during her journey, when she was at her lowest just a few words from Spike could give her the strength to carry on.

Spike released his precious burden and moved to a safe distance away. All it took was one look from the blonde and he was willing to forget his girlfriend. The girlfriend he'd neglected to mention in their brief phone calls. "Bloody hell. I'm seeing someone now, Buffy. She's not," he paused to take an unnecessary breath. "She's not you, but she's special. I'm not sure how long this thing with her will last, but I want to see it out. I can't do that if you're around."

Buffy's heart broke a little, but she forced a tight smile on her face. Did she really expect him to wait six years for her? "This was just a short stop anyway. Nick and I'll be leaving tonight, it's no big."

He shook his head in disagreement. "I'm not going to force you out of town. I just need some space."

She hopped off the stool and pressed a chaste kiss against his cheek. "I understand." She stopped when she got to the door and turned around. "Who's been patrolling?"

"Xander, Giles and I have been taking turns," Spikee responded.

"Xander has the little ones to think about and Giles is getting too old. You need a break. Nicky and I will take over for a while," she insisted. "Be seeing you." With a swish of leather she was out the door.





Buffy leaned back against the wall and lifted the beer bottle to her lips. Despite her aching heart, she smiled at the sight of Spike dancing with his pretty brunette girlfriend Grace. The two seemed to be well matched. She had a peaceful, warm air about her. She brought out a carefree side of Spike that had been missing before.

"Funny how the stalkee has become the stalker," Xander quipped as he joined his old friend. The years had mellowed the animosity between him and the vampire. Spike was one of his few male friends and, though he'd never admit it aloud, he valued the vamp's friendship.

The blonde's smile was somewhat bittersweet. "It's not stalking, it's watching. Totally different vibe."

Xander chuckled and pulled up a chair. "I remember when someone else used to say that." He silently observed the girl's expression as she watched the two dance. "He's happy with her, I mean really happy."

Part of him was embarassed for even bringing it up, but he was concerned for Spike. He and the others had heard snippets of the Buffy/Spike saga and sympathized with the heart-broken vampire.

Buffy tore her eyes away from the dancing couple and frowned at the brunet. "I'm not going to ruin his relationship with Grace. I didn't come back here to pick up where he and I left off. What we had... that wasn't healthy and I know that. I couldn't bear to hurt him like that again," she willed herself to keep from breaking down. It was hard to believe how times had changed. Before she'd left, Spike had been the outsider trying to prove his worth and now she was in his place. Disgusted with herself, she set down the bottle and raced out of the bar.

Her swift feet carried her down the street and to one of the many cemeteries. She was desperate for a fight and she wasn't disappointed. Five vamps and two demons later, she was satisfactorily exhausted. Unfortunately the demons weren't finished with her yet. She shot to her feet upon hearing the unmistakable growl of a large scaly demon.

The battle was short and painful. The demon had her against the ground, one claw pressed against her throat. She took a deep breath and shoved her silver-tipped dagger into the demon's throat. The demon began steaming and finally exploded into a hundred small pieces.

Buffy stood and looked down at her ruined clothes. She reached into the pile of goop and pulled out the dagger - the last gift Spike had ever given her. "How fitting," she muttered.

When she started walking in the direction of her house, she was surprised to see Grace standing in a small clearing. The raven-haired woman uttered a few words in Latin and Buffy's clothes and dagger were instantly cleaned.

"You're a witch," Buffy commented, not really surprised. There was no way an ordinary human would have found life with Spike acceptable.

Grace shrugged her shoulders. "Just learning, actually. Mostly small spells and potions. You must be Buffy."

Buffy smiled weakly, not sure how to proceed. What had the others told the witch about her relationship with Spike? "Yeah, I guess I am. Look, Grace, I don't know what anyone's told you about me or what happened before I left, but I want you to know that I don't want to come between you and Spike. I lo... care for him, I'll always care for him, but he and I aren't good for each other. He's happy with you and that's all I want for him. And... I've got to go." Following her instincts, she dashed out of the cemetery.

Confused by the other woman's hasty retreat, Grace turned to where Spike was standing in the shadows. "Was it something I said?"

Spike shook his head and pulled Grace closer. "No, Slayer's just the queen of exits, that's all."

Grace slipped her small cool hand into his much larger one. "She seemed nice."

Spike snorted and started the journey back to the bar. "Nice isn't a word I'd associate with Buffy."

"She hurt you, didn't she?" Grace inquired knowingly. Her boyfriend had been tight-lipped on the subject of the blonde. Xander and Willow had only given minor details about the girl - she was a slayer, the LAST slayer. She'd left on some major journey shortly after a master vampire had killed another slayer.

Spike blew out a deep unnecessary breath and kissed his girl on the temple. "She and I had a very... different relationship. Her mates had just ripped her out of heaven and I was so in love with her that I didn't care if she was only using me. Doesn't matter now, pet. We're different people."

Grace glanced back to where Buffy had last stood. She had a feeling that there was more to the story than what she was being told. From the beginning of their relationship it had been obvious that Spike's heart was not available. Grace was okay with that, to be honest her affections were directed towards another. It was nice to finally meet the woman who could tame William the Bloody.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=3491