Be Fearless, My Dear by Linnae13
Summary: A girl who's broken and lost. A man who's never given a chance to anyone. She's distant. He's edgy and closed off. A sweet lil country town with two scared individuals not willing to admit that they're afraid of anything. And of course it's Spike and Buffy, who else! Find out what happens when they accidentally become everyday occurrences for each other.
Categories: NC-17 Fics, NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 206670 Read: 88902 Published: 09/07/2012 Updated: 04/15/2014

1. Chapter 1: Arrival by Linnae13

2. Chapter 2: Finding the Welcome by Linnae13

3. Chapter 3: Forced Curiosity by Linnae13

4. Chapter 4: Fictional Interests? by Linnae13

5. Chapter 5: Nerves and New Attachments by Linnae13

6. Chapter 6: Unexpected Expectancy by Linnae13

7. Chapter 7: Accidentally On Purpose by Linnae13

8. Chapter 8: Building a... Something by Linnae13

9. Chapter 9: Backtracking by Linnae13

10. Chapter 10: Getting to Know You by Linnae13

11. Chapter 11: A Little Pressure by Linnae13

12. Chapter 12: Simplicity is Nonexistent by Linnae13

13. Chapter 13: Away for Awhile by Linnae13

14. Chapter 14: Feuding and Greeting by Linnae13

15. Chapter 15: So Much for Distance by Linnae13

16. Chapter 16: Dreamers Weep by Linnae13

17. Chapter 17: Burned on My Brain, Inching Towards My Heart by Linnae13

18. Chapter 18: The New One by Linnae13

19. Chapter 19: You Haven't Fallen Down the Rabbit Hole by Linnae13

20. Chapter 20: Fight or Flight by Linnae13

21. Chapter 21: Handle Me and I'll Handle You by Linnae13

22. Chapter 22: The Past is Present by Linnae13

23. Chapter 23: For Better or for Bumpies by Linnae13

24. Chapter 24: Show and Tell by Linnae13

25. Chapter 25: Get What I Want by Linnae13

26. Chapter 26: Two Given Hearts by Linnae13

27. Chapter 27: Following Me by Linnae13

28. Chapter 28: Hot Blooded by Linnae13

29. Chapter 29: Love Me by Linnae13

30. Chapter 30: Tell me or Don't, but Lose me if you Won't by Linnae13

31. Chapter 31: Initial Here by Linnae13

32. Chapter 32: Today in My Sight, Tomorrow Mine by Linnae13

33. Chapter 33: Hide the Honey by Linnae13

34. Chapter 34: Beneath Floorboards by Linnae13

35. Chapter 35: Stars have Nothing to do with This by Linnae13

36. Chapter 36: A Rocky Road Ahead by Linnae13

37. Chapter 37: All Dorothy Style by Linnae13

38. Chapter 38: Captured and Calling You by Linnae13

39. Chapter 39: Finished by Linnae13

40. Chapter 40: Home (Epilogue) by Linnae13

Chapter 1: Arrival by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hi guys! This is my second fic! It's gonna be long, just warning you. I love reviews and appreciate the time you put into writing them! I may not respond to them all, but i DO read them all so please feel free to let me know what you think! (please no flaming, constructive criticism is always appreciated though!)

WARNING: I am writing this as I go along. I've got a basis for it, and an idea for places where I'm headed, but the warnings are not set in stone. I can promise there will be no rape, Buffy/other, or Spike/other. However, I might (for example) decide to do an ATTEMPTED rape scene, or i might want to kill off a character (most likely not a main one so relax), but just be prepared. I'm sorry, but i am telling you now!
Buffy slowly unpacked her small suitcase, no more than all she owned stored tightly inside. Worn upholstery covering the hard corners of the valise, torn in some parts but soft dark rose color showing where the fabric was intact. It smelled of sweet dust and lavender and sentiments. The memories this bundle probably held, how many she could only guess. Decades up in the attic of her home that used to stand tall and proud with the knowledge that it soon would be passed down to the next Summers girl or boy. There was no telling what this little suitcase of hers would say if it could talk. It would probably spill some mischievous secrets only lonely wives and stubborn husbands should know of.

The suitcase of the past. Hmm. Buffy liked the sound of that, it sounded like some title to a kid’s novel. A book, one filled with adventures of a magical travel bag that would whisk people off to captivating lands.

The thought made the blonde girl smile slightly. It was her little tattered suitcase, which was nice because not much was hers anymore.

Inside the old wooden carrier were some clothes, three books, her grandfather’s old wristwatch, two pairs of shoes- she only had the two asides from the pair on her feet –some makeup, and a little flip book of photos with singed edges. She had some money in her jean jacket’s pocket, a locket around her neck, and a ponytail on her wrist. The girl had only brought with her what she had left. What the fire hadn’t destroyed.

Taking a deep breath and allowing two teardrops to slip from her eyes, the young woman swallowed hard and let out a shuddering breath.

Two tears, no more than that today.

She’d been in her Grams’ house for no longer than forty-five minutes and already it felt nicer than the hotel room she’d stayed at back in San Francisco. She was currently standing in her new bedroom. It was simple and not too large, as well as had a sweet southern feel to it that she liked.

The walls were deep champagne, but it was attractive. The mattress was soft and had so many homemade quilts lining it you’d think the thing was going to be used to catch a skydiver falling without his parachute. The dark wooden frame of the bed was obviously antique, and matched the molding that lined the room. The one large window she had was open, letting in the lovely smell of honey and autumn.

Alabama wasn’t so bad.

The chest of drawers by her door was tall and had cream colored lace draped across it. There was a purple shaded lamp next to a small angel statue adorning the piece of furniture as well. Next to her bed was a tiny two-drawer table, white painted wood with cold metal handles. The girl, sitting at the head of the mattress, leaned down and opened her nightstand. The bottom drawer was bare. The top one though held nothing other than a bible. Buffy smiled again and murmured to herself. “That’s Grams.”

Grams- her grandmother.

Buffy arrived not too long ago at the place she now called home. It had been a pretty slow bus ride from California to Alabama. Every mile farther she got from San Francisco she felt like a part of her was drifting away.

The move was sad and yet uplifting, as well as scary and hard; new and also uncomfortable. Her emotions were pretty hard to discern most of the time.

At present the girl was alone in her new house, breathing in the southern air and soaking up the warmth. Her Grams was out to the market. After picking Buffy up from the bus station and settling her in, the older woman had gone out to do the grocery shopping, claiming her granddaughter needed a hearty southern dinner after her long journey.

Buffy had declined the offer to go with. Instead she’d stayed back and gave herself the grand tour of the southern abode, including the creepy cellar- yes, she’d forced herself to go down there. She’d also explored the garden, admired the lettuce and other foliage growing in the back, and inspected the freshly painted kitchenette.

All together the place was inviting and homey. Tranquil.

Anne, her Grams- (hence why Buffy’s middle name was Anne as well) –had been a widow for over twenty years now. She’d lived in a small town her whole life, never planned on leaving. She was Buffy’s only really close family left at this point, and had taken the girl in.

The older Summers woman was always instantaneous with her love and care, and the young blonde adored her grandmother for that.

Her Grams’ affection was all that was keeping Buffy strong, for only a month and a half ago everything had changed…

The teenager was torn from her thoughts by a voice. It was accompanied by the rattling of the screen door up front of the house.

The girl ran ahead into the living room and pulled on the handle, letting her grandma inside and quickly taking one of the two large paper bags from the lady’s arms.

“Oh thank you dear.”

“Grams why didn’t you come get me to help you with these?!”

The woman eyed her granddaughter over the brown sack still in her hands. “Oh relax child I’ve been doin this here by myself since your granddaddy passed on. I know how to carry a grocery bag or two.” She admonished in her southern drawl.

Buffy’s brain immediately went to Papa at the ‘granddaddy passed on’ part of that sentence, but she knew her Grams hadn’t meant him. She didn’t let the look of sadness stay on her features for too long, quickly hiding it before Anne could notice. “Well I’m here now, so next time just come an get me.”

The women walked into the kitchen. “Do you have any other bags?”

“No dear.” They both set the filled packages down on the countertop. “And I wouldn’t a brought these things in with me on my own had you come with me down to the market.”

Buffy looked down a little guiltily, but her Grams gently pulled her chin back up. “Elizabeth, ya do realize sooner or later yous gunna have to get that cute little butt a yours out the house.”

The girl smiled slightly at the name, not many people actually called her that back home. Elizabeth was her given name, Buffy was just a nick. “Can’t I just keep my cute little butt inside? I mean, if you think it’s that adorable- Well there’s just no tellin WHAT will happen when I walk by a group of boys.”

Anne’s eyes squinted accusingly. “Oh now don’t you go pullin that stuff on me. You’re not a youngin anymore, Buffy, you’re nineteen! I think it might be good f’ya got some male attention ‘round here, but that’s not what I want you ta go out for an you know it.”

The teen rolled her eyes. “I go out, Grams.”

“Yeah, you go out.” The woman started methodically unloading the groceries. “Ya go walkin ‘round the block with your nose in a book, ya go to grab coffee somewhere and never bring ya eyes off a the page you're workin on.”

Okay so Buffy had always been a fan of books, she enjoyed reading. Ever since the incident a month and a half ago she’d taken it up dramatically, too. It was a nice escape- and without her friends she had more time on her hands.

To tell you the truth the books were better company than Buffy’s pals in California had been.

“Reading’s good.” She pouted inadvertently.

“You’re right, it is good.” Anne shut the refrigerator door and her voice turned soft. “But Buffy ever since…” A look was exchanged and no words needed be said to elaborate on the painful topic. “You just closed off after everythin. And I know you said you was givin farewells to ya friends last week back in San Francisco, but darlin’ asides from me when else have ya talked to anybody?”

“The funeral.” Buffy mumbled and looked hard at the wall.

Grams sighed. “I’m sorry honey. I didn’t mean ta-…”

The woman engulfed her granddaughter in a hug and the teenager returned it. A few tears slipped past her green eyes no matter how hard she tried to will them away.

“S’just I think I’m the only one you’ve opened up to at all, an none that wasn’t family came to the services… I just don’t want you to get lonely, especially now since you’re gonna be takin time off f’school an won’t have many people your age to hang ‘round with.” Her voice was worriedly strained.

The two women pulled apart and looked on at one another, both sets of eyes wet from sadness.

“I’ll be fine, Grams. I promise.”

She gave the girl a look.

Buffy sighed. “Tomorrow. Okay? I’ll go out tomorrow. I just got here, and I’ll need to explore. Haven’t seen this old town since I was, what- ten?”

Her grandmother laughed and wiped at Buffy’s eyes. “It has been a long time.”

The teenager smiled. “I think the last time I was here you didn’t have grey hair.”

“Hey now!” Grams slapped the girl’s arm playfully. “Watch your mouth, you may not be ten anymore but I sure as can put you over my knee if I havta!”

“Oh you wouldn’t!” Buffy grabbed a loaf of bread off of the counter to defend herself with at her Grams’ threatening move forward.

“Yeah.” The lady nodded. “You’s smart to be scared. I may got grey hairs but that means I’m older. I’m tougher. I’d take you out in a heartbeat lil missy.”

Anne had a smile lying beneath those eyes, and Buffy wore a similar expression.

Already it felt a little bit better being away from California.

***



After a nice dinner and some much needed laughter, the two Summers women found themselves curled up for the night watching movies. There were four, two Buffy chose and two Grams picked out.



It hadn’t taken long for the ladies to get fully absorbed in the films, and it also hadn’t taken very much time for Buffy to realize (for what had to be the thousandth time) that her and her Grams were very much alike.



They enjoyed the same movies, old and new. They liked each other’s tastes in music, food, often ended up telling one another the same jokes over and over again. They held the same mannerisms, like the biting of the lower lip habit. And Grams had many a time recommended a book for her granddaughter to read that of which was loved by the teenager.



The only difference between the two relatives Buffy herself could discern was the way they dealt with sadness.



Grams was open and would talk about her feelings, while Buffy… didn’t. She tried to close up when upset; it was the way she was wired.



She had known this for some time about herself, and although she welcomed what little happiness given to her from those close to her, she was not close to many.



As Buffy closed her bedroom window and started removing quilts so she could lie down in bed for the evening, Anne came into the room and turned the lamp on, sleepy smile stilled on her face. “Just came in ta say goodnight.”



Buffy folded one more quilt and set it on a nearby armchair with the others before approaching her grandmother and giving her a hug. “Goodnight, Grams.”



“Night, sweetie.” She kissed Buffy on the cheek.



The teenager walked over to her bed and sat down, sticking her feet beneath the covers.



“Ya sure you’ve got everythin ya need, now? Want an extra sheet or anythin?”



Buffy shook her head.



“You sure? If those quilts are too heavy I can always get ya somethin lighter.”



Again, the teen shook her head. “Thanks, Grams. I’m good though.”



“Alright.” She went to turn out the lamp, but stalled before flipping the switch. “Tomorrow I ‘av a church meetin, but if you want you can go into town and get some things for yaself. I know you don’ have much with you and a girl’s gotta have the necessities- Maybe some new clothes, rouge, lipstick, anythin you wanna add ta your room here. You just go on an get it, I’ll leave cash on the counter for you in the mornin.”



Buffy smiled warmly. She had a bank account of her own setup here at a local bank now. The insurance company came through after everything that had happened, but even if they hadn’t her Grams would have offered to buy her stuff. The lady might live in a little house in a tiny town, but she knew how to save and so had Grandpa Summers. “Thank you, Grams. But if I get anything it’ll be with my own money, you’ve done enough already.”



Anne turned the little lamp off then, but since the moonlight streamed in through the curtains Buffy could see the kindhearted smile gracing her grandmother’s lips. “The money’ll be on the counter in the mornin.”



She turned to leave and Buffy got better situated in her full sized bed before calling out into the air. “I’ll be buying some groceries around here from now on, too! M’not gonna leech off a you, Grams!”



“Oh will ya quit your hollerin, it’s the bewitchin hour for Christ’s sake!”



Buffy grinned once more before resting her head.



Maybe tonight she’d be able to fall into a comfortable sleep.
End Notes:
Review please!

UPDATE 7/18: ATTENTION: Due to the site possibly going offline for a little while(see the home page), this story will also be posted at http://www.booksie.com/fan_fiction/novel/aliciaparavola/bfmd-(be-fearless-my-dear)/chapter/1

You can click on the newest chapter as it is updated. I just posted all of the current chapters onto that site, but it's not just Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. For example, chapters 3-5 are all under "chapter 3" for the way the site is laid out, and I wanted to post as quickly as possible, but not all of them are like that.
Chapters AFTER chapter 23 will ONLY be posted there IF the Spuffy Realm goes offline.
There are no words to explain how much I appreciate the work and upkeep those who run this site put in and continue to do. And fortunately, they're making it so we will all still be able to read the stories already posted on here, writers just wont be able to update. I love TSR and if it does go offline, I hope it's only temporary. I don't know Pari personally, but they're a wonderful person for keeping this site up and I really wish them the best, as well as everyone else who keeps the Realm up to date and working, all of those who are able to donate, and everyone who reads and visits.
Love to all! -Linnae
Chapter 2: Finding the Welcome by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Okay, here's chapter two! Characters' personal thoughts are in between these little thingies: * *

I already had this chapter written, and so this one is here faster than the whole of the story will be coming to you, im just warning you. I wanted to get the first few chapters posted quickly because this story isn't very detailed in the beginning, im laying the ground work. (P.S. the chapters for this story will not necessarily be updated at the same times as Opposites Attract.)

Thanks to all who are reading this one and/or OA!! *hugs!*
She woke up screaming.

Heart beating, cold sweat, breaths coming in deep gulps. She put one hand to her chest and the palm of the other against her forehead. She was shaking, trying desperately to forget the memories of flames and everything else that’d been a part of her nightmare.

“Relax, relax Buffy. It’s okay. It’s ov- over now.” She whispered as steadily to herself as she could.

As she peered on at her room the sunlight strode in through the thin curtains. The sparkling dust in the air blurred as her eyes overflowed with salty water.

Buffy put her head to her bent knees and sobbed into the blankets. Couldn’t she get ONE night of rest without a damn reminder of everything? Just one freaking night of forgetfulness? Of peace?

She sat there for about ten minutes, and then choked back all the tears she could. When her eyes were finally dry she took her feet out from beneath the covers and set them on the ground. Where she expected to feel wood flooring she came in contact with soft cotton.

Buffy looked down and saw a light pink pair of slippers with a piece of paper sticking out of one of them. She picked the shoes up and touched the warm material as a slight frown marred her face. She grabbed the paper read the note.

“You’ll catch your death walking around barefoot all the time. It’s drafty in this old house, I’m sure these will fit you. –Love, Grams.”

The message and gift actually managed to make Buffy smile slightly, and she gratefully slipped on the shoes, loving the cotton enveloping her cool skin. She wiggled her toes inside the squishy slippers before standing and walking to the bathroom.

><

Being that it was ten in the morning when she awoke, and ten thirty after she got done showering and dressing, Buffy knew her grandma would be out of the house already. She was an early riser, as was most of the church going community in this little town- at least that’s what Grams had said.

Buffy herself didn’t go to church often, and Anne didn’t make her. The teenager only went for certain holidays really, like Christmas and Easter, but even then she attended mostly just to please Grams.

So now, standing in her bedroom, having just opened the window, Buffy was faced with deciding what she wanted for breakfast.

The girl threw her hair in a ponytail and walked into the kitchen. She turned the corner into the room and spotted the money on the counter for which she knew her grandmother had left her.

And then suddenly, everything approached quickly. She’d promised to “get out” today, see the world, breathe in the fresh air, maybe mingle with people.

Buffy groaned and opened the refrigerator door. Already yesterday felt like a much better day.

It wasn’t like she hated socializing. It was just that she’d rather spend time with a good book over another human being who would ask her questions about her life, possibly say something that’d bring up a painful memory. She often got lost in a group, too. Thoughts always taking over and managing to depress her when all she wanted to do was edge away from the not so far away past.

And she didn’t get lonely when she was immersed in a story. She didn’t have to think, about her life, about anything. It was nice, and asides from that she honestly enjoyed books. Even when she was prom queen and head cheerleader at her old high school she’d held a secret joy for reading (Yes, secret.)

Buffy had dated a lot, but often times she used to blow off guys just so she could spend a night home on the couch with Jane Austen. And that wasn’t only because books held better vocabularies than most of the boys that were interested in her.

The guys she’d gone out with usually didn’t like to talk about anything other than football or whatever other sport they played. And the few that’d actually seemed curious about HER had frightened Buffy off with the lack of sparkage she felt while around them.

Boys- The Summers girl was not an expert. Although, each time she’d gotten asked for advice by one of her fellow ‘popular’ friends, the info she’d given them seemed to have successful outcomes. It was strange. She knew what she wanted but she’d never gotten a guy that held her interests.

Buffy sighed. All she saw in the fridge would require actual cooking, and since she really didn’t want to burn down her grandmother’s house, she went in search of cereal.

*Okay, eat and then go out... You know it’ll make Grams happy.* She mentally insisted on herself.

As she dumped the sugary flakes into a bowl, the teenager told herself that she could always bring a book with, and besides, she really should go to the bank and take out some money.

Pouring the milk and grabbing a spoon she started to think of what she might be able to do. Exploring her new home, the town of MayBell, was a must. She WAS curious about the place and she wanted to see what had changed since she was a little girl.

Buffy munched on her breakfast and tried not to dread today too much. She wasn’t scared, maybe a little nervous, but that was not what was bothering her.

><

She’d spent an extra half an hour putting on makeup. She hadn’t cared to wear any for a while and it felt nice to apply lip gloss and blush again.

Plus, she was prolonging the moment when she would force herself out into the real world.

She didn’t like reality too much as of late.

Buffy took her backpack off of the chair it was hanging from. The bag was dark green and not too large, but it was a good material and held everything she needed.

She took her three books and slipped them inside, along with a jacket she favored, her iPod, and her cell phone.

One last glance at her bedroom and Buffy decided to leave the window open. Grams wouldn’t mind and it was warm today.

Throwing the bag over her shoulder, she approached the front door that blocked the sunlight. She reached for the handle and pulled, a mental push finally getting her through the entryway.

><

MayBell, home of some Super Bowl star she was sure, was quaint and welcoming. Buffy had walked through most of the charming place after withdrawing some cash from the local bank.

She was currently in the town square, peering into shops with her headphones stuck in her ears. The leaves on the trees were still green, with autumn coming later to Alabama and it still being eighty degrees outside. The people she passed always smiled in her direction, and the sun shone brightly.

MayBell lifted your spirits, and even though she ached to sit down on that bench not too far away and crack the spine in one of her novels, Buffy was (surprisingly) enjoying her stroll. Painful memories hadn’t entered her brain as often as she’d thought they would, but when they did the girl bit back the tears. It was all she could do. She hated to cry, and she’d had her full of it.

A little vintage shop caught her eye across the street. The blonde scrutinized a small group of friends coming out of the place, they were all grinning and laughing, having a good time it looked like.

The sight was bittersweet. Buffy took a breath and shook her head. *C’mon. Go check out the store.* She told herself.

She plowed on across the road and pulled open the door to Mama Leann’s Shoppe. Her nose was assaulted by the aroma of apple. She inhaled greedily as her eyes took in the appearance of candles everywhere, all lit and glittering. The whole room was shining from them and Buffy could see many of the labels described their smell, such as “Apple” or “Cinnamon”, while others were unscented.

She took her earphones out and instead listened to the sounds coming from the radio inside the building. The whole place screamed “Welcome!” and Buffy found herself somewhat comforted here.

She stared up at the golden brown ceiling and white Christmas lights hanging from the molding along the walls. There was a cozy chair and loveseat with dark purple cushioning in the middle of the floor, and different sorts of merchandise sat displayed on shelves everywhere. Vintage clothes hung on hanger rods and hats for sale sat on plastic busts with wigs.

She turned at a tap to her shoulder, startled out of her reverie.

Buffy gasped and the woman before her quickly apologized for the scare. “Oh darlin I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to frighten ya none.”

Buffy moved her hand from where it’d instinctively flown, over her racing heartbeat, and swallowed hard. She tried for a smile. “No, no it’s okay. I was just, just uh, admiring the place. Kinda zoned out a lil bit.”

The woman offered a sweet smile and nodded. “I understand. No worries.”

A quick moment passed before the lady spoke again, and Buffy used it to take in the other gal’s appearance. Tall, with silky chestnut hair down to her shoulders, and soft blue eyes that smiled at you. Flawless skin and a good figure, the woman was pretty and looked around thirty. She had a kind disposition that Buffy could sense right away, too.

The lady tilted her head in study, speaking a second later with her sugary southern accent. “I hope ya don’t mind my askin, but I don’t think I’ve seen you ‘round before. An MayBell’s a pretty small town, ya usually know everyone here. Are you passin through?”

Buffy blinked a couple of times before she answered, processing her thoughts. She’d spaced out for a moment. That was another reason she didn’t really like talking to people, she found herself loosing concentration very quickly whenever she did. She hadn’t used to do that.

“I um, no- I uh, actually just moved here, to live with my grandmother. Anne Summers.”

The woman’s eyes lit up with realization and she suddenly took on a delighted expression. “Oh for all that is good in heaven, you’re Elizabeth aren’t you?!”

Buffy blinked again in surprise. This woman certainly seemed to know her. “Uh, yeah. I’ve been to MayBell before but not since I was younger.”

“Oh darlin the last time I laid eyes on you ya were no bigger than a toad! My gosh, you probly don’t even remember me do you?”

Buffy eyed the woman and smiled a little guiltily. “Sorry, I don’t. Are you um… Mama Leann by any chance?”

The lady laughed and shook her head. “Oh golly no dear, that’s my mother. This is her lil shop right here, I just go on an manage it most the time. I’m Meg Stovall, and ya know when I first met you, yous just about ten. I myself was twenty two at the time.”

“Oh.” The girl frowned apologetically. “I’m sorry I don’t remember you.” She offered, not sure what else to say.

“Don’t you go on worryin ‘bout nothin. Not a big deal, we only saw each other for a few times anyhow.” Meg waved a hand dismissively before her eyes smiled again with fond remembrance. “My golly, you were just about the cutest little thing this side a the Mississippi. Blonde hair in pig tails, so sweet. And good mannered too! Your mother and ya granddaddy raised ya well, they did.”

Buffy swallowed hard. She desperately wished for something new to be said, a silent weight falling upon her chest.

“They did.” She whispered hollowly and took a slow, deep breath. The walls suddenly felt like they were closing in and her throat became tight in almost an instant.

Meg’s face took on an expression of mortification just then, and she hastily backpedaled. “Oh I- I’m sorry, hun. I uh, I have this tendency to- to sometimes stick my foot in my mouth. My momma’s been tryna rid me of the danged habit for just ‘bout my whole life.” And she stuttered a moment longer before smiling once again. “Was there something that you were looking for today? If my shop doesn’t have it m’sure I can point you in the direction a one that will.”

Buffy gave a feeble smile herself, quickly taking up the offer of distraction. “Um, yes.” Her voice was soft. “I need some new clothes. I didn’t bring a whole lot with me from- from…”
“California?” Meg finished the girl’s sentence and Buffy gratefully nodded her head as she released another trembling breath.

“Alright. Well I’ve got a lot of stuff here, but f’ya don’t like anything I’m sure ya can find somethin else at another one a the places in town. Now don’ you worry your pretty lil head we’ll find ya a new wardrobe in no time.”

And Meg’s sunny nature was back in under a minute. Buffy could tell by the way she’d acted before that Grams must’ve filled the woman in on everything. Like why a nineteen year old who should be in school or traveling was instead living with her grandmother in a sleepy town in Alabama.

She was led over to the wall where all the clothes hung. She shook her head and tried to focus on, well, focusing. Meg chattered kindly about the merchandise, holding up a skirt here, a pair of slacks there. She guessed Buffy’s size easily and started picking out pretty tops and even pointed to the shoes that were placed on a long shelf above the hanger rods.

“Everythin in this place is one of a kind, you won’t find nothin that anybody else has.”

“Th- Thank you, Ms. Stovall. I’m sure I’ll find something.”

“Please darlin, just call me Meg.”

Buffy nodded and smiled gently. “I will.”

“An if ya wanna try anythin on, the fittin rooms are right over that way.” She pointed towards the back on the store.

The teenager thanked her again.

With that, the manager of Mama Leann’s told her customer to give a holler if she needed anything, and then went back to work.


Buffy perused the clothes. She fished through too brightly colored tank tops, some nice pants, several wool sweaters, and a few vintage bustiers. Her eyes bugged at a couple of the sequin garments she found, they looked like something you’d use for costume material. Some jackets drew her in though, along with a few cute T-shirts and one light pair of ripped jeans.

Buffy collected her items and headed toward the changing rooms.

><

The jeans fit, the jackets were nice, and she liked two of the shirts she’d tried on, so Buffy took her purchases over to the checkout counter. She chatted quickly with Meg while her items were rung up, finally asking the woman before leaving where she could buy some bath and beauty products.

“Oh the best place’d be Pretty Penny’s. Right down the street, five stores that way.” She pointed her finger to the left, indicating which way Elizabeth should turn when she exited the shop.

“Thank you.” And Buffy left, responding with a “You, too.” when Meg told her to have a good day.

The girl walked out of the sweet smelling store and headed towards Pretty Penny’s, wondering whether or not she should stop for a bite to eat at the diner across the street after she was done looking for a new shampoo.

She pushed open the door to the beauty shop, a bell at the top of the doorframe ringing when she entered. Her nose was assaulted yet again, but this time the scent was fresh and crisp, like mint and cotton. Buffy inhaled and smiled at the checkout girl who offered a friendly greeting.

Not that Meg hadn’t been nice or anything, but Buffy was hoping no one would talk to her too much anymore. She figured if one person was aware of her recent past, than that meant there were probably many in the community who knew the reason as to why Elizabeth Summers had moved in. Grams was loved in this town, and Buffy knew that all residents of MayBell constantly liked to help and be hospitable, so it would only be a matter of time before the commiserations started. Those were something she’d rather not have to deal with.

Buffy studied the place she was in, dragging her thoughts away from their saddening down spiral. Shelves carried body lotions and foot creams, as well as shampoos and conditioners. There were four tables with mirrors and makeup supplies all set up in the center, with chairs surrounding them. Hair dyes and perfumes were stocked at the front near the windows.

The teen moved towards the soaps and bubble baths, trying to decide what she should buy for herself and Grams. No way was Buffy not going to get something for that grandmother of hers.

As she read descriptions and sniffed bottles, Buffy tried not to let her mind wander. She was getting more and more antsy as the day went on. At the beginning of everything she’d been pretty much fine, but then the minutes started getting longer and longer.

She decided on some lotions, and a shower gel she thought her Grams would like, before moving on to the shampoos.

Her mind was starting to get too muddled, too thoughtful and just… cramped. She itched to pick up a book. It was the only thing she could focus on that didn’t make her concentration wane.

*Okay. Think, try and just think about the stuff in your hands. Strawberry or Lavender? Which one do you want your head to smell like?*

Buffy managed to make herself smile slightly with that thought. She grabbed a little basket for her things and stuck both of the shampoos inside along with the lotion and wash.

She looked at the makeup tables.
*Hmmm… Oh I’ll just get some. I barely have any with me anyway.*

It had been a long time since Buffy went shopping, and as long as she was out she might as well splurge a little bit.

She started with the lipsticks, and ended up picking out a dark rose color along with a clear flavored lip gloss. As she was looking at blush her ears started to ring. She shook her head, trying to get rid of the annoying sound and idly thinking of that old myth that said if your ears rang it meant people were talking about you.

She sighed when the ringing finally fell away, but soon realized that something else was bothering her. She felt as if someone was watching her.

Buffy looked around her shoulder and all she saw in the shop were a few people over by the lotions, so she just ignored the weird sensation. She was probably imagining things.

She continued to look at rouge and picked out something light pink, along with a dark brown shadow and charcoal grey eyeliner. She already had a black pencil at home and other eye shadows so she decided she was through with this store. And her tummy was grumbling.

Buffy looked around one more time, admiring the décor. The shop was warm, and charmingly set up.

That eerie feeling of being watched though threw the convivial atmosphere off a bit. Buffy quickly paid for her items and exited.

It took her going across the street and into the rustic diner before she lost the imaginary eye that was keen on studying her every move.

><

The shadowy figure stood behind the door to the back room marked ‘Employees Only’. He peered on at the new arrival in town. He didn’t recognize her, never had seen her before. He was sure he would have remembered a girl so beautiful as that, and he smirked a little when she started to sense his gaze on her.

He watched her move, from the makeup counter to the checkout.

She seemed suddenly in a rush to leave, and he felt himself slightly disappointed at the thought. He kept observing her for as long as he could, watching the girl walk as she headed straight for Leonard’s restaurant across the way.

The being then decided he’d gotten what was needed, and took his stolen goods as he dropped back through the old trap door. He closed it quietly and began his journey home, absently wondering who that strange girl was.

She had blonde hair pulled up in a ponytail, green eyes from what his powerful eyesight could tell, and a radiant smile- but there was an air about her. Something was off with the beauty, almost a withdrawn sadness.

She only looked about nineteen or twenty, but she seemed aged more than that. Something about her eyes, like she was concentrating too hard on each individual moment. Every glance she made looked almost... strained.

The girl was mysterious.

Too bad he wouldn’t be able to get to know her any better.

><

Buffy sat in the diner, sipping her drink and sifting through her wallet for money to pay for the meal and leave a tip.

She’d had a turkey club along with hot raspberry tea, and she was happily full, but she also needed time to herself with one of her books.

Leonard’s Place was bustling. The eatery wasn’t too loud and the people were friendly, but she really wanted to get away from everything. She often got lonely in a lively setting like this.

Maybe she should go exploring some more, stay out in the sunshine just a tiny bit longer.

*You could just read a book OUTSIDE…* Buffy’s inner recluse nudged encouragingly.
*No. Grams is right, I need to be more social. Maybe I’ll check out the shops again.* She internally cringed. Her loner qualities were getting very demanding.

She mentally prepared herself to stay out in the real world just a little while longer and laid her money down on the table. She was about to leave when a young man suddenly slid into her booth and sat across from her.

“Hey there.” The boy offered kindly. He looked about sixteen or seventeen. Dark brown hair and a big smile, green eyes and an attractive face.

He’d scared Buffy half to death.

She controlled her breathing and closed her eyes, counting to ten so she didn’t hit the boy for surprising her.

“I’m Frank, but my friends call me Franky.”

“Well, Franky…” Buffy breathed out a sigh. “Do you always go around scaring people like that?”

The boy took on a look of concern and promptly blushed. “Oh. I- I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to, just wanted to come over and say hello. I’ve never seen ya ‘round before.”

“I just moved here.” She nodded and pursed her lips into a sort of smile. “And it’s okay.”

He shuffled nervously for a minute. “What’s your name? F’ya don’t mind my askin.”

“I’m B- Elizabeth. Elizabeth Summers.”
She used her proper name. She wanted to start using it more and more, as a part of the move. Trying to forget everything, trying to roll with how she herself had changed.

Elizabeth was what she’d tell people now.

“Oh, ya related to Anne Summers then?” The boy asked.

She nodded again. “Yes. I’m her granddaughter.”
“Ah, so you said you just moved here? From where?”

“Um, California.” Wow, maybe not everyone knew about her tearjerker back story. This guy seemed clueless as to anything other than her family name.

“California? That’s cool. I’ve always wanted to go there m’self. I heard a… that all the girls are real good lookin.” He looked her over a little. “Guess the rumors were true.”

It was time to get out of here. “W- Well, um. Th- Thank you Frank, that’s really nice. I’m sorry but I… I gotta book.” Buffy cleared her throat. “It was- was nice to meet you.” She quickly gathered her things and stood.

“Oh well, uh.” The boy removed himself from the booth. “Alright. Maybe I’ll see you around sometime.” He smiled at her in a charming way, and it made Buffy want to flee.

She used what little composure she had left though, and grinned at this kind person. She felt bad for blowing him off but the part of her that was virtually panicking was grateful for the departure. “I- It was nice to meet you. Frank.” She stuttered repetitively.

“Maybe I can show you around town sometime. Ya know since ya just moved here an all.”

She lost all capability to respond, and just nodded her head in the affirmative, even though she despised the thought of such an outing. “I- I… gotta go.”

There was no way she was being real world girl anymore today, it was time to be hermit girl for a while.

Given that it was only two in the afternoon though, her Grams would hate to find out that she’d only left the house for about three hours.

On her way out of the diner, an idea hit her. The desperate girl tapped a waiter on the shoulder. “I- I’m sorry to bother you, but could you point me in the direction of the local library, please?”

There, she’d solved her problem.
End Notes:

Spike and Buffy meet, err... well sort of, in chapter 3! I promise! there will be eye contact made!!

Review please! even though this chapter was sort of uneventful asides from laying out Buffy's character a little bit more, i still love feedback! :)
Chapter 3: Forced Curiosity by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
So here is chapter 3, i hope you all enjoy it!
She practically ran through town on the path to the library. She needed to get away from people. Maybe she’d been a bit overdramatic with that guy back at the diner, but she couldn’t quite summon the will to care. Her feelings and nerves were frayed, not something she could really help. She was jumpy, and so not in the kind of mood to continue talking to people. And the last thing she needed was a new person in her life, especially one who hit on her. Buffy didn’t like to let people in anymore.

The library was one spot she hadn’t been back to during her recent exploration of MayBell, and when she finally reached it she let out an instant sigh of reprieve. The place was old, but big. There were three floors, hundreds of books, and staircases with creaky steps.

At least that’s what she remembered about the book emporium. It was the only building asides from Grams’ house that she really missed in this town. When she’d been younger the library was the place she enjoyed investigating the most. It had been magical to her little ten year old heart, and even now nine years later, Buffy still felt like she could get lost here and never want to be found.

She took notice of the individuals reading or perusing through book shelves. The first floor was always a bit too loud for her, from what she recalled. The front door was always opening and leading people in and out, letting in drafts of air. The second and third levels were much better for relaxing.

The whole place was beautiful of course, and for such a small town MayBell’s library was larger than many Buffy had seen back in San Francisco.

The floor was carpeted, but if things hadn’t changed much then the second and third levels would be sporting hardwood. Mismatching antique chairs surrounded tables, and cushioned sofas lie in every corner. Tall paned windows stood on the East and West walls with autumn leafed ivy covering them, streams of sunlight breaking through areas of the foliage. She found it odd that the ivy changed color before the trees did. She looked up as she headed for the wide staircase. You could see the higher levels enclosed by banisters, with more big windows warming the place and highlighting dust particles in the air.

Buffy ascended and regarded the next floor. More people were here. There were couples sitting on loveseats reading together, and a few young girls in various spots hauled up in lounge chairs with stories of their own. Other adults who were alone sat at tables studying, or searching through aisles for a desired tome, while one stray boy was busy sifting through the card catalogue.

Too busy. She kept on moving ahead, going up the second and narrower staircase, leading herself to the third floor.

This level was the smallest, with area rugs covering places where large padded furniture rested and small writing desks were set. The windows let in more light up here, being as the ivy wasn’t as thick. The stacks were lined parallel to each other every wall. There were two big tables on opposite ends of this floor, and every chair or window seat seemed to be hidden away. A set of book shelves always managed to keep the cozy areas half enclosed, making them appear secluded.

Buffy smiled.

Empty. There was no one here. Not even a person searching through one of the bookcases for a volume to read. It was private, and hushed. Perfect.

Most of the library’s occupants probably felt that the first floor was a little too disruptive, just as Buffy did, but none put in the extra effort to go to the top floor. Or maybe they didn’t like being completely alone. Maybe they enjoyed reading without interruptions but didn’t enjoy the feeling of isolation.

The girl walked over to a champagne pink, chaise lounge. The seat looked old and well kept, with beautiful embroidered fabric. It was one of those couches that only had a back to lean against and a single side. Something you’d see in a 40’s movie with a rich aristocrat lying down on it, talking into a turn dial phone, her sherry brought to her on a silver tray in a crystal cup.

Buffy was no member of the aristocracy, but removed her coat anyway and sat down, putting her bags on the ground. She peered around the area one more time and spotted a bathroom not too far away, but again no people. She gave a moment’s hesitation before slipping off her shoes.

She curled up in the seat by the window and took a book out of her bag. Knees bent and feet tucked, sunlight hitting the pages and engulfing the small print. There was a glass shaded lamp to her left that sat atop a square wooden table, and one of the glass panes behind her was open just a crack, letting in the fresh air.

Buffy emitted a contented sigh.

She’d found a public safe haven.

><

The time slowly dragged on, the sun started to set. Colors of orange and yellow changed to grey and brown.

It had begun to rain. Thick clouds with edges of black came fast and without warning. Thunder was far off in the distance with its lightening flashes, but the water that battered the library’s roof was here and strong, having caused Buffy to close the window a while ago.

She didn’t mind the storm. She actually liked the rain, the smell of it and the loud noises that scared others calmed her. It was like that weird capability some people had to fall into a peaceful sleep while watching a horror movie.

She kept turning the pages of her book, having never read it before and enjoying it immensely. Anyone who discovered this floor and walked by was invisible to the girl’s senses. She was too arrested by words, too lost in another realm.

At peace as her heartbeat sped up and her mind swirled due to the choices made by the characters in her novel. The calm sections of the story relaxed her muscles. Foreboding details in the print made her tense. Painful moments carried heavy sadness easily to her core.

She was content to stay there and suffer or smile at the flip of a page; and she did. The only thing that managed to rip her away from repose was the seemingly sudden necessity to pee.

Buffy slipped her shoes back on and looked around as she set down the book. The whole room was lit by pretty sconces patterned on the walls, not to mention the light coming from the lower levels and the lamp Buffy had switched on a bit ago. She peaked her head around the book shelves that blocked a little of her view from the rest of the area.

She didn’t see anybody so she decided to leave her things where they were, and headed towards the bathroom that was directly across from where she sat.

She had to walk around the opening in the middle of the floor that was outlined by mahogany banisters, and she looked down at the people below. It was very quiet, serenely so, but several individuals still decorated the interior of the library.

The girl moseyed on, casually looking at her surroundings. The walls were brown, but not an ugly shade of it and the floorboards creaked in some places as she walked over to the single restroom.

><

He immerged from the stacks, where he’d spent over an hour searching for a new story, an appealing book to get his hands on. The man was antsy now- Well actually, he’d been this way all day.

He had plans, very important plans involving a girl. A girl he’d been after for a long time now.

He’d been looking for ANYthing to help him keep his calm for a while before he met up with her tonight. She was beautiful and kooky and funny and had the prettiest-

“Whoa- Hey!” Michael was torn from his daydreaming by the black clad figure that’d just rammed into his side. “Excuse you.” He shook his head as he slipped on his raincoat for the third time that day, rolling his eyes when the rude man didn’t offer an apology for running into him.

Michael muttered something unintelligible beneath his breath as he exited the library.

The dark soggy figure walked quickly through the room. His hair was wet, along with his jacket and boots, but he hadn’t exactly been ducking for cover from the storm. If anything rain was preferred over most other weather; really he liked the doom and gloom.

He stopped and shook out his bleached hair, bending over and drawing some attention from the action. He’d been here enough times though that no one ever questioned his less than neat placement in a place like this. No one talked to him at all actually, which was fortunate.

He pulled a hand through his messy hair, rolling his eyes at the condition it was in. He could feel the curls running through his fingers.

Sauntering over to the flight of stairs, he headed upward with natural recognition of every step and creak. Reaching the second story he peered around for a moment. Not many were there, only about four people. The first floor had more occupants, which wasn’t uncommon for this time of day.

Spike put his boot down on the next step in front of him and made the ordinary move onward when his nose suddenly twitched. Something was off. He caught a whiff of- What was that?

He followed his set path and the smell got stronger, and he reacted to it. It was feminine, definitely. One of those scents that made you inhale deeper it was.

Spike kept climbing until his shoe was flat atop the floorboards of the third level.

Why did he smell something? Why did it feel… different, up here? No one ever came to this floor unless they were passing through to use the loo because the ones below were occupied, or they were looking for a specific book that was kept in this area of the library (not many interesting ones that was for sure).

The space never permeated with thick aromas, only faint overlays of individual fragrances ever, and none were this strong. The privacy offered on the third story of the building was why he liked it so, but as Spike examined his home away from home, it appeared that someone had intruded.

His jaw twitched as he began looking around for signs of another. The lights were dimly golden and his gaze quickly went to his precious hideaway. It appeared untouched. His volumes and notebooks were still carefully placed in the slots he’d left them, on the highest ledge. At least the stranger who’d invaded his territory hadn’t gone as far as to find his personal collection.

A lamp was lit behind another large bookshelf, and he strode over to it, inhaling as the heavenly perfume he’d been breathing in got abundantly stronger. On one of the pink lounges sat a worn coat, with two bags on the floor next to it. Spike’s eyebrow quirked.

He felt unashamed for peering inside of the shopping bag that sat there. There were some clothes along with another smaller sack holding cosmetics inside. He spotted a book resting on the table where the lamp was, its smooth hard cover stained in places with no summary of the story on the back or printed within the beginning pages.

Spike flipped to the first chapter, and the complete absence of copyright nonsense made him believe he was holding a very old book. With the way the words flowed…

He closed the novel and read the title he’d originally just glanced at. It sounded familiar, maybe he’d read this once.

His ears picked up a soft sound coming from the bathroom and he turned, putting the book back in its place. He sent a fleeting look to the backpack that lie by his feet, curiosity that he had to push aside jabbing at him. He was prepared to try and get this bird to leave, whoever she was. At least make her want to move down a floor. This was his space, and she was invading it.

Nobody came up here and stayed. They never wanted to, and he appreciated his luck with that. Whoever this chit was had a mind similar to his apparently. Less people = Good.

He didn’t rightly care much about being an arse, and he didn’t like company. Spike stood.

He walked over towards the restroom, leaning against the wall and waiting with his ankles and arms crossed.

><

Buffy ran the water and washed her hands, looking into the mirror and sighing at her reflection. She looked tired, but then again, she always looked tired, even when she wasn’t.

She dried her palms with a napkin and opened the door, stepping out of the bathroom only to stumble almost immediately.

“What- …” And she turned around to see what had tripped her, eyes catching on a pair of Doc Martens.

The boots were attached to a set of skintight pants. Her sights reached the bottom edge of a leather duster, and then a black belt. A close-fitted T-shirt that matched the rest of the man’s ensemble, followed by the only bright thing that was a part of this being’s appearance.

His eyes. Even the expression that held them was dark, but God those eyes.

Spike straightened, his hands climbing higher on his crossed arms.

Oh, well... This was interesting. He hadn’t expected it to be her, the girl whose strangeness had him noticing her earlier today. She’d occupied his thoughts for a mere few minutes, but he certainly hadn’t forgotten her.

The lady’s light sweater draped loosely on her frame, her ripped jeans looked old and well worn, with a small patch in the denim resting high on her thigh. Her great big green eyes blinked a couple of times, and a slight frown begun to mar her brow. Her lips were slightly chapped Spike could tell, and when she started to nibble on them he knew why.

His icy blue gaze was still piercing straight through her, Buffy was sure, but she managed to shake it off. His stare felt familiar in a really wiggy way.

She realized after a moment that he wasn’t about to apologize for tripping her, so she sighed. She didn’t care enough to actually pick a fight with the guy.

“Might wanna watch where you stand.” Was all she said, an annoyed head tilt and eyebrow raise accompanying her otherwise ‘couldn’t care less’ manner.

He watched her meander back to her little spot slightly hidden away from the rest of the room. Her hips swayed but you could barely tell do to her clothing’s fit. She turned and planted herself back on the lounge chair, the girl’s ponytail whipping around violently. Her eyes found his again, bugging slightly probably because she was surprised he hadn’t stopped watching her yet.

The green gaze shyly and cautiously lingered on his form for a couple seconds more, before returning to the cover of her book. She flipped it open to where she’d stuck a bobby pin in as her bookmark, and seemed to ignore him as she started reading.

Spike took in the sight of her sitting there, he watched her as she slowly became less and less aware of the area around her. Her legs lifted onto the couch and were instinctively tucked beneath her body, her eyes didn’t blink as often and he could see them moving back and forth like a typewriter’s platen. She was lost to the world.

He was a little entranced by her. She had an oddity about her. She’d looked weary when she’d come out of the loo a moment ago, but now as she read she seemed lively in a way he hadn’t seen before. A comforting glow surrounded her, it was invisible to anyone and everyone, but she looked at peace and concentrated while engulfed in her story. She was beautiful and if Spike wasn’t a man of many pasts he’d say she was far from human, at least she seemed to be right at that moment. She seemed ethereal.

With that thought in his head, Spike shook himself out of this reverie and frowned. He opened the bathroom door quickly and went inside, even though he had no intention of using the facilities. He started pacing slightly, though he couldn’t have realized it if he’d tried. Pacing was a habit.

The chit hadn’t even looked at him like he didn’t belong, like his punk appearance and rude behavior didn’t fit well into this warm library setting. She’d simply blinked at his arrogance and brushed it off like she didn’t have the time for his attitude.

It was so weird, for lack of a better word. The moment he’d gone up here and realized someone else had inhabited his space, Spike had wanted whoever it was GONE.

But the moment he’d seen the girl, his feelings had altered for no apparent reason.

Maybe it was because back at Pretty Penny’s she had intrigued him, her beauty and distressed eyes. Her hair, her scent that he now knew was divinely sweet. Something about her had him a bit transfixed from the very first glance, which was more than Spike could say for most people- Okay, everyone. She was… interesting, and the Brit found he wasn’t too rushed to make her leave anymore.
End Notes:
See! They met! sort of... Well i hope you guys liked this one =)
please review!!! *hugs*
Chapter 4: Fictional Interests? by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews and the interest in this story! Hope you all continue to like it!
He’d come out of the bathroom ten minutes ago. Ten minutes.

Ten minutes of pretending to read, that’s what she’d been doing. After the latch on the door sounded and she saw him walk out, his eyes glancing briefly at her, she couldn’t get her mind back on her novel.

Given, that wasn’t because she COULDN’T go back to reading immediately. That is what she’d done when she’d first sat back down after all, but now she was allowing herself the time to think about him.

Or more like her mind was forcing her to ALLOW it. He just was so strange. From his Billy Idol look to the way he walked around and hadn’t said anything when addressed. Not that she was jonesing for conversation, mind you. It’s just that he wasn’t… normal, and he was definitely withdrawn.

The man had gone over to a high set of shelves right after leaving the bathroom, pulling up a step ladder that was nearby and retrieving what looked like a small diary sized thing, a stack of actual books, and three notebooks. She looked on through her lashes and studied him. She really couldn’t help herself.

He had glanced at her again, but she was busy with her novel (or at least she’d pretended to be). Then he’d approached a slightly hidden area, with a large green cushioned chair that sat next to a desk with its own matching wooden seat. He switched on a nearby lamp and removed his coat before setting his things on the table.

Buffy couldn’t help but notice his arms after the leather was pulled off and out of the way. He was built, very nicely she might add, but that fine physique didn’t stop her from observing his peculiarity. He sat down and pulled a hardback into his lap, along with a notebook.

His form seemed to descend right into that green cushioning; it looked like he fit there. Like the chair knew his body or something strange. He glimpsed at her one more time, and then got to work. He opened his volume and his notebook, turning the thin cover of the latter over so it wasn’t in the way. Setting a booted foot up on his knee and putting the book on the arm of his chair, the man sat there and read.

He must’ve been 10, 15 feet away.

He was driving her a little crazy, to be honest.

He read silently, turned pages, and made notes in his notebook. She didn’t mind her privacy being violated by this man’s arrival, he was only one person and the third floor was still very quiet. He didn’t really bother her but there was something about him. His odd (and frankly, rude) behavior not too long ago dubbed him unfriendly in her mind, and yet, her mind couldn’t stop obsessing over him.

And WHAT was with his little stash of private books and tomes on the top of that one shelf anyway?! That was beyond weird if you asked her- And-

The girl mentally groaned. She was obsessing alright; majorly so.

*Ugh. Just go back to reading already! He’s just sitting there, he hasn’t even looked at you since he opened his book!*

Buffy blinked a few times in quick succession and brought her brain back to her novel. She breathed out a small sigh and slowly lost her thoughts inside her story, her body relaxing once again.

><

He stayed there, making notes and enjoying his book. It was years’ old poetry he’d been immersed in for awhile now. After he’d settled down in the chair he’d long ago declared as his own, Spike had managed to… accept the lady’s presence. Mostly.

He looked at her every few minutes without her noticing. Having someone else on his floor was strange and he didn’t like it much. However, her company was becoming something like an allowed annoyance to him. Similar to a dripping faucet, at first you want desperately to fix it but then you slowly, begrudgingly begin to consent to its existence.

Her scent had changed from new and unwelcome (although lovely), to fresh and almost common. His nose was no longer tickled by the mere whiff of it, but instead was gladly filled every time he inhaled. The noise of her fingers touching paper to flip a page rang in his ears every second it seemed, but the sound had soon became a steady hum rather than something akin to a fly buzzing in your ear.

It was going on 10pm now, and she was still here, which had Spike wondering. She had presumably finished her book, about two hours ago. But then the only thing she’d done was retrieve another one out of her backpack and start up on that one. She’d gone to use the bathroom three times, not including the time he’d tripped her, but never did she look up at the clock on the wall or search for a cell phone.

Wouldn’t someone be expecting her somewhere? Who was this girl? Didn’t she have any family, anyone who’d be wondering where the HELL she was. The chit had been here for about five bloody hours, you’d think-

Hold on.

Was he… worrying?

Spike quickly removed his stare from the mysterious female.

He didn’t worry. Not about people, not really; and especially not about birds he didn’t know from Adam.

Fuck, this was odd. Why- Wait. No, he wasn’t worried, just curious. Yeah, that was all.

Except it was hard to believe that untruth when you kept wondering how she was going to get home alone and in the dark; never mind the constant questioning of WHERE she even lived.

Spike’s gaze returned to the girl when he caught her standing up out of the corner of his eye. She seemed suddenly in a rush. Her face was a little flushed and she was shaking her head at herself it seemed. She jammed her book in that backpack and picked up her shopping bag that Spike knew the contents of, turning around to put her shoes on next.

She rolled her eyes at herself abruptly and dropped her things to speedily slip into her jacket, never even bothering to button it before grabbing her things again and moving towards the staircase.

Spike felt himself frowning at her departure. Maybe she did have somewhere to be, it’s possible she’d let the time get away from her and now she’d left somebody worried at home.

Her footsteps were fast as she moved to the railing He watched her, very curious and couldn’t decide whether or not he was happy she was leaving, or whether he wasn’t, or whether he cared at all.

She started down the steps, turning her head his way in what seemed a somewhat last minute thought. The chit glanced at him, her descending green eyes peeking between the banister’s mahogany columns. Spike caught her gaze for just a second before subconsciously sitting up when she disappeared from his view.

><

Thank God it had stopped raining. She ran out of the library, her foot splashing in a shallow puddle. Buffy quickly made her way back home. She knew her grandmother would be worried.

“Shit.” Buffy swore under her breath. She didn’t want Grams upset.

Fortunately, home wasn’t too far away from the MayBell library, only half a mile actually.

…Okay, maybe that was a little far to be walking alone at night, but this was a tiny town and it wasn’t horribly late. Neighborhood folks were still sitting out on their porches with candles and cups of hot tea. Some kids were walking around in groups, and two couples even passed her by on her way.

Buffy ran up the stairs to her Grams’ place and opened the door she knew would be unlocked. She called out for her grandma, sighing when she spotted her in the living room with a book in her lap.

“Oh, Grams, I’m so sorry I’m back late! I know I never called I just- I went to the library.” Buffy set her things down on the floor and continued breathlessly rambling as her audience simply smiled calmly. “I’m so sorry, I lost track of time. I didn’t worry you did I?” She sat down on the couch, beside an antique chair the other woman occupied.

Anne only blinked and released an amused breath. “Buffy.” She spoke with easy composure. “Yer nineteen. Now truthfully I didn’t expect you’d stay out this long, but it is only ten o’clock. And besides, this is MayBell, it ain’t no big dangerous city.”

Buffy blinked dumbly. “Oh. W- well, I’m still sorry I didn’t call you.”

The grey-haired woman looked at her granddaughter through her reading glasses. Her wrinkles defining themselves as she smiled tenderly again. She pulled off her spectacles and let them hang by the pearl string around her neck, her brown eyes twinkling warmly in the soft lamplight.

“Sugar, you’ve got a cell phone don’t ya?”
Buffy nodded. “Well, yeah.”

“I have the number written down on the fridge. I wasn’ worried none, an I coulda called you if I had been. Just knew you was busy combing ya way through MayBell.”

Buffy released a breath. “Well okay.” Her lips lifted on one side. “So I guess sprinting home was sorta overreacting a little huh?”

Her Grams laughed. “Maybe a little. But m’glad to know you thought f’me, I know I didn’ forget ‘bout you. Supper’s in the fridge, chicken and potatoes f’you wanna warm em up.”

Buffy’s eyes lit up. She hadn’t even realized she was hungry. “Thanks Grams.” She hugged her quickly before standing up. “I haven’t eaten anything since I went to that diner in town earlier today.” And she went to the kitchen.

“Oh, so before you went and hid up in the library you actually managed ta explore town a lil bit did ya?!” Her Grams called teasingly from her place in the living room.

Buffy frowned and paused mid step, turning and peeking her head around the doorframe. “I was out for quite some time I hope you know.”

“Oh you were, were you?” Grams asked, an eyebrow raised in wagering question.

Buffy put her hands on her hips. “Yes. I. Was.” And she demonstratively picked up her shopping bag and sat on the coffee table, displaying her purchases for her mistrusting grandparent.

The young woman and her guardian talked for the rest of the night; Anne relayed her day’s events with smiles, while Buffy explained her MayBell experience with halfhearted enthusiasm. However, when asked about how the library had suited her, the teenager described it in great detail. And even though her Grams already knew what the MayBell library beheld to its visitors, she didn’t stop her granddaughter from contentedly depicting it.

“And how long were you there for again, darlin?” Her grandmother asked her sweetly.

Buffy bit her lip. “Ummm, only like... five or six hours.” Her face wrinkled guiltily but her grandmother only laughed lightly.

“Well now, that’s not much strange for you is it?”

“Well… I couldn’t help myself! It was just so comfy there.”

“It’s alright dear. All that matters s’that you went out today, talked to people for a little while. I’m just glad you weren’t lonely.”

Buffy hesitated before nodding. “Yeah. Not lonely.”

Having people around didn’t always mean that it made you feel good, though she wasn’t about to bother her Grams with that.

The girl rose and picked up her backpack, heading for her bedroom, but before she reached it a memory sparked her.

“Um, Grams?”
“Yes, ‘Lizabeth?”
Buffy turned to face her. “You know most people in town, right?”
“Honey, I know EVERYONE in town.”

“Right.” She smiled a little, a curious still face appearing a moment later. “Have you ever seen a guy, um, I think you’d recognize him- Actually ANYONE would recognize him. I saw him at the library today and he just sorta, stuck out.”

“Well go on now. What’d he look like?”

Buffy scrunched her nose before describing him. “Bleached hair, long black leather coat. He um, he’s got a nice face; and really REALLY blue eyes.” She chewed her lip. “Ring any bells?”

Her Grams seemed to contemplate it for a minute, before her concentrated gaze snapped brightly, and it was obvious she’d thought of whom her granddaughter was referring. “I know who yer talkin ‘bout.”

“Oh. Okay, I was just curious. The guy, he um. He seemed odd, ya know? I mean asides from the white hairdo.”

Her Grams nodded. “D’you talk to him?”

“Uh, well, not really. I mean, I told him he should watch where he puts his feet after he tripped me with his dumb combat boots, but other than that-”

Her Grams shook her head somewhat amused. “Don’t be surprised there, dear.”

Silence sounded before Buffy had to ask. “Why?”

“Tha boy, he’s lived here for a few years now. He um… well he just ain’t normal that one. Only times ‘ve seen him have been at the library. Never talks to nobody, always is sorta bad-mannered f’anyone tries to talk to HIM.” She frowned a little. “Don’t even know the man’s name come to think f’it.”

“Huh.” Buffy’s brow puckered. “Who knew MayBell had a resident Boo Radley.”

Anne laughed. “Well, not really. He comes out now don’t he?”

“Yeah, I guess but, whatever, close enough.”

He grandmother leaned back in her chair and studied Buffy as the girl turned around again and went to put her things away. “You uh, take a likin to this man, ‘Lizabeth?”

Buffy frowned again, very hard this time, and laughed a little as she turned around. “Grams, are ya kidding? He looks like some 80’s reject. Not to mention, he’s rude.”

Anne nodded. “Oh. Okay then. Just wonderin.”

Buffy scowled again and went to leave but then abruptly turned one more time, facing her grandma as she spoke. “I mean, the guy tripped me and didn’t even apologize. What kind of girl likes that?”

“None to my knowledge, dear.” Her Grams shook her head.

“… And did I mention that he had bleached hair? I mean, I used to bleach mine and ~I~ never even went that platinum.”

“I understand.” There was slight mocking added to those words.

The teenager’s shopping bag was still in her hands and an incredulous expression suddenly adorned her features. “W-White hair, Grams! He looks like a snow globe!”

Anne laughed a bit at that one. “I said I understand!”

Buffy seemed to take her time with approving that statement, before she stiffly nodded. “Good.”

“No attraction whatsoever then?”

“No! No, none… Nothing.”

Anne smiled and gave her granddaughter a look of slight pitiful acceptance. “Alright, I believe you.”

“He wasn’t even cute.”

“Right. Got it.”

Buffy left the room then, quickly tossing her stuff on her bed. She stripped off her jacket and went back into the living room remembering she’d left her backpack in there.

She picked up the old bag. “Stop smiling like that!”

Grams bit her lip to stop from laughing, though her granddaughter never saw. “I’m not smilin at nothin!”

Buffy went to her room again, sorting her new purchases away and idly wondering when she’d turned back into a fifteen year old.
End Notes:
im a review whore so please fulfill my needs! ;)

-and that line about the Boo Radley thing came from Gilmore Girls, btw :3
Chapter 5: Nerves and New Attachments by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
See end notes.
She went back to the library the next day. She had a mission to search for a new book, seeing as she’d finished her other two last night; one of which she’d already read before anyway. The third she’d brought with her from San Francisco wasn’t a story Buffy felt like diving into at the moment.

Her Grams’ house was full of books. While Buffy could borrow any of them with no problem, she wanted to go back to the library anyhow. She really did like it there.

It was a comfortable fall day when she walked out into the sunshine late in the afternoon. Her Grams was busy with the garden, Buffy had asked if she wanted any help but fortunately the older woman had said no. Elizabeth wasn’t one with a green thumb.

She stayed up very late last night (or, early morning rather), so she’d gotten up late too.

Her sleep wasn’t the best, three nightmares from what she remembered. One of which that’d woken her up loudly enough for Grams to hear.

For someone to be so motherly, so calming and sweet, Buffy didn’t know how one acquired the talent. All she knew was that her grandma had it, and she applied it well. Truth be told Buffy didn’t like letting people know when she was in pain, but Grams was a little easier to let in than most.

Last night though was a fault. The girl usually tried to hide her tears as best she could.

Her mood today wasn’t cheerful, given it hardly ever was. But it wasn’t too despondent either. It was… well, it was rather bare.

Grams often made her happier in times of bleakness, but the pain was never completely quiet. And Buffy’s attitude today was just simply drab, and a little empty. For once, she was actually able to put names to her emotions. Unfortunately, they were negative ones that reminded her of bad things. Things she didn’t want to think about.

She put her headphones in as she walked, adjusting her book bag’s strap on her woolen dressed shoulder. Her coat was draped over the sack for when it got chilly out, and all Buffy wore now was a heavy sweater and jeans. Being September in Alabama, the leaves weren’t starting to change yet, but she still admired the trees as she walked along her path. Maybe it was because she always seemed to get cold easily, but she swore the temperatures were dropping earlier than normal. Given, she’d never been here during the fall, so she could be right.

Deciding to grab a cup of coffee, Buffy ran into a small café. She purchased her drink and quickly headed out again and continued on her way.

The door of the library barely made any sound when she entered. She saw the first floor had several occupants, but as she made her way up the stairs she found that the second was deserted.

She got off on that level, deciding to search for a book or two before going up to the third story.

Buffy discovered many categories during her quest. She rifled through mysteries, weeded through romances, and sifted through western classics.

Choosing something in between the two latter genres, she ended up with a romance. It was based in the old west during the 1800’s, and she found herself already enjoying it as she walked blindly ahead with her eyes glued to the first page.

Once she reached the third floor was when Buffy finally tore her eyes away from the book. She smiled when she didn’t see anyone, although she wasn’t sure whether to be happy or disappointed that the strange guy from yesterday wasn’t around. Maybe she didn’t care at all.

She found her little pink couch and settled in, putting her bag with the folded coat on the floor along with her shoes. Her coffee found a place on the table next to the glass shaded lamp, and she set the western themed hardcover in her lap.

Buffy pulled a bobby pin out of her ponytailed hair and began idly fiddling with it in her left hand, her right holding the book open as she started turning pages.

><

Spike exited his home, stomping all the way to his place of reprieve. Life today had been bloody awful; such a day shouldn’t have been allowed to see fruition.

First he’d found that sodding sketch that he’d drawn long ago and which drudged up way too many memories. Not painful ones really just ones that made you miss someone terribly- Well… yeah okay, painful.

Then there was that damn plumbing problem which he’d had to have fixed today, which was a shit ton of hassle and money spent; combined with having to let the plumber into his house (did he mention he hated company?).

He hadn’t eaten well today either, his stomach was all kinds of protesting and his mouth was bitter. Oh! And he’d gotten woken up out of a dead sleep because a fucking girl scout had tried selling him cookies.

She didn’t even have Caramel deLites!

Spike wasn’t able to get good rest after that, and he’d been in a foul mood ever since. He desperately needed some time at his place of refuge. His quiet book emporium where no one and nothing bothered him, where he could lose himself in literature and poetry, in stories he loved.

Christ, he hoped that girl wasn’t there today.

><

“Bloody fuckin hell!” Spike muttered angrily to himself as he approached the third floor of the library. Her scent was everywhere again.

With a slight snarl he stormed on ahead, flashing a glare in the female’s direction.

Spike still found himself inhaling her aroma greedily, and he gritted his teeth in annoyance at that.

Why the HELL did he have to deal with her tonight? She wasn’t noisy, and she wasn’t a nuisance really, but just the bird’s presence put him a tad more on edge than he usually was.

She hadn’t noticed him yet, and he’d made no attempts so far at being quiet. Going for his things Spike quickly found his treasured books, stomping all the way. It wasn’t like he was TRYING to get her to notice him, he just couldn’t hold his irritation at bay.

He huffed over to his seat, setting his things down. He went to remove his duster, and when the sleeves were partially down his arms and he looked up, his gaze was caught in hers. She stared at him, almost curiously for a moment. Her hair was tied back behind her ears in a ponytail like before, and her clothes looked much too warm for the current Alabama weather. Though Spike couldn’t really say anything about proper attire, he was dressed rather warmly himself. Except it didn’t affect him; HER it should.

The Brit sat down with a gruff sigh, and he got to work. Feeling her eyes on him all the while.

Buffy frowned upon the aggravated flicker she received from stranger-guy. He looked at her, and she felt like she was trapped, she couldn’t look away. He had to budge first.

Which he did, but that didn’t stop her from staring. He had seemed to give her an almost accusatory glare before, like she’d done something wrong.

Buffy squirmed in her seat. What was this man’s deal? He had a frown on his face as he studied his books, just as he’d had the night before. Except the frown he wore now wasn’t one of contemplation, no it was one of irritation. Annoyance.

*Well what crawled up his butt and died?* Buffy wondered. He looked tense, and his body language was screaming ‘Don’t come near me or I’ll bite your head off.’

Well actually, his attitude yesterday hadn’t exactly been any friendlier, but still this was just… different. Something was bothering him.

The woman shook her head. Why was she still staring at the guy?

She groaned. She didn’t usually gawk at people, especially not when she had a book in her hands. His attitude was just off, and Buffy found herself wondering why. Though, she had absolutely no idea WHY she was wondering why.

She went back to her story, immersing herself inside it, idly thinking about the man sitting not twenty feet away from her.

It was better to just ignore him.

><

A little bit later on was when her bladder tugged her from the imagery of a smoky saloon. Her western romance was getting good, and it made it easy to forget that she was in a public library. She’d forget that there were stairs leading down to the more communal areas of this building she was hidden inside, she’d forget about the occasional passerby that ventured to the third floor to use the bathroom. She’d forget even about him, the rude stranger with blue eyes who was her only company.

Her only company who was currently smoking a cigarette.

Buffy’s brow wrinkled when she caught him.

Then her hazel eyes moved smoothly to and locked on a ‘No Smoking’ sign not far away from the bleached mute. She made a disgusted face before heading to the bathroom.

How arrogant could you be? I mean, he was in a LIBRARY. Hello! Public place that isn’t a restaurant or a bar! People trying to read and study and contemplate in peace! And HE was smoking.

She rolled her eyes and muttered to herself. “Ass.”

Buffy made it to the lavatory door, and that’s when she looked in his direction once more, meeting his icy challenge of a stare with a slightly surprised one of her own. Had he heard her?

No. She’d been quiet. He wasn’t too close by, he couldn’t of… but those eyes said something different. His legs were splayed open lewdly with a split book in his lap, a fuck-all attitude plastered on his features. His body seemed quite relaxed, while his face looked peeved. Her hand stilled over the doorknob and she narrowed her stare when he twitched an eyebrow before taking a deep lungful of cigarette, and exhaling it. She swore the smoke was aimed at her.

Without even thinking twice, Buffy made an unimpressed, put-off facial expression and threw it at him. Stranger-guy scoffed irritatingly before dipping his head to look within the pages of his book again. Buffy felt herself fume slightly beneath her skin. He was just so arrogant it almost made her-

Wait.

Why was she letting him get to her? Better yet, HOW was he even getting to her? This complete outsider was managing to actually make her angry. Why did she care so much about his conceit? She shouldn’t. She really, really shouldn’t.

It was just wrong, the getting angry.

And annoying!

Buffy turned her head back to the bleached pest just in time to see him drop a free slip of paper out of a seemingly old journal. His eyes widened when he picked it up, and by the man’s countenance and the quick absence of poise in the hand that held his cancer stick, Buffy felt abruptly cold for watching him.

She whipped her gaze away and down. Finding her hand still placed on the doorknob, she blinked a couple of times before her brain registered the command to turn it and she entered the bathroom.

><

Spike gulped, and he couldn’t have noticed the tears leaking from his eyes if they’d burned him. The letter in his hands was old, a century or so, and brought too many emotions to the surface. Ones he didn’t like, ones he avoided with every passing day but similarly found himself never capable of forgetting.

The words scribbled there in ink blinded him, as did the droplets escaping his blue eyes. Spike’s hands trembled from the weight of the letter, and the words made him shiver as they were read. His sadness was suddenly constricting around his neck like a python as the smell of the stale perfumed paper wafted around his head.

He released a ragged breath just before loud voices permeated his quiet turmoil.

><

Buffy was drying her hands when she heard unfamiliar sounds outside, and before she could think of who might be creating such disturbance in a library there was a hard knocking on the bathroom door.

Startled, Buffy took a breath and opened the entryway, blinking at the group of four who greeted her. They were teenagers, the boys wearing baggy pants and the girls dressed in skirts too short and too tight to let Buffy believe they’d been allowed out of the house that way. The female’s faces were smiling with bright lipstick and the entire group smelled of cheap beer. The couples both looked around fifteen or sixteen years old, and their laughter never ceased even after the girls barged their way through to the single restroom, pushing Buffy aside.

If it weren’t school time or these kids looked older, Buffy would’ve sworn they had to be tourists. She hadn’t seen ANY of the younger groups in town looking like these four.

They were arrogant too, could probably give stranger-guy a run for his money.

She jumped a little at the slamming of the restroom door, and turned her face to the two males who now leaned against the mahogany banisters, carrying an air about them. One she’d seen before on many boys who’d sweetly been dubbed ‘D-bags’ in her book back in San Francisco.

For some insane reason, the first move Buffy made after initial disbelief wore off, was to look in stranger-guy’s direction.

He didn’t seem any more comfortable than she did with the boisterous intruders.

His face was hidden by a free hand, his cigarette still dangling in the other. He was hunched over and it looked as if a headache had angrily captured all of his thoughts.

Then she looked closer. He was shaking. She wasn’t very close to him and yet she could tell. Without warning, the face she’d seen him make just before her retreat into the bathroom flashed in her mind’s eye and Buffy felt almost instinctually protective.

No wait, protective wasn’t the right word; but for whatever reason she felt a need to get rid of these chattering kids who normally she would have simply ignored until they went away. She frowned at stranger-guy’s form and internally berated herself for caring about his comfort at all.

With a sigh, Buffy turned around to face the noisy males who were waiting for their (presumably) girlfriends to come out of the bathroom. The Summers lady approached them and pushed away the slight ache she could feel poking at her brain. All she had to do was ask them to keep it down and leave, even though she had no right to do so asides from the fact that they were almost yelling in a place where whispers were honored.

“Excuse me,” She asked softly, and they either didn’t hear her or chose to pretend as much.

Clearing her throat. “Excuse me.” She repeated loudly, this time immediately gaining their attention. “Could you please keep it down. I’m assuming you’re just in here for a minute or two so your friends can use the bathroom, but you have to be quiet until you leave.” The last word was stressed against her will.

They looked at her like she’d just asked for a huge favor. Better yet, they looked almost offended that she dare speak to them at all. And not that she personally cared, but Buffy found herself wishing for their respect. If she didn’t get at least a little of it then she might as well give up hope that they’d go away.

One of the boys looked her up and down, smiling condescendingly before meeting her eyes again. “Sure. Sorry.” Although he sounded anything but, Buffy heard herself responding thankfully. When she turned to leave she heard them mutter something to each other, and by the laughter following she figured it was an insult about her, but she didn’t care.

All she gave a damn about was that by the time she’d placed herself back on the chaise lounge, the giggling, stumbling girls had exited the restroom and were now looped in the arms of their companions. The four cackled loudly when they headed for the stairs, and one of the boys let out a piercing whistle for no apparent reason, signaling a Buffy eye-roll.

She turned her sights to stranger-guy then, almost balking when she saw him directly looking at her with something that resembled… gratitude?

He twisted around to unlatch a small window behind his head. When he turned back he demonstratively brought the cigarette she thought should be dead by now, up to his lips. The man sucked on the white tip, leaning back in his chair so he could blow a thick stream of smoke through the window and out into the night air.

Then he found her eyes again, and nodded. No smile, no words, just a nod; his usually frozen eyes now almost warm.

And she could tell he was thanking her.

The window was open behind him, letting in the clean air and refreshing the smoke scented room. She wasn’t sure why he offered this kindness to her when not long ago he’d mocked her distaste at his filthy habit. The fact she’d gotten rid of those kids could have been a chore she’d taken on for herself and her alone, how did he know that she’d done it mostly to calm him?

Maybe he didn’t. Buffy wasn’t sure, but she was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. So after a quick questioning squint she couldn’t hold back, she started reading again.

><

He’d watched her. He’d watched her through red rimmed eyes as she’d caught him in her gaze before backpedaling and asking the lousy tykes to keep it down for the short stay she was sure to point out they were there for. He had stared at the floor but seen her taking what he distinguished as absentminded glances his way, and knew why she was asking the morons to be gracious instead of ignorant.

The annoyance Spike felt at the little prat who’d responded to her in his ‘could-give-a-fuck’ attitude seemed to swallow the Brit whole. While she just said thank you and went her own way, the next words he picked up from the pint sized berks about the woman had Spike swinging his head up and glaring angrily. If it weren’t for those chits exiting the loo just then and dragging the boys away, Spike would’ve probably gone over to make his displeasure of their presence known in a much less polite way.

But they were leaving, and Spike found his now dry eyes drawn towards the woman in the corner.

He knew she’d asked them to leave for him, if not completely then at least partially, and he appreciated it. She’d seen him upset; she’d known he was bad off, for some reason. Maybe she’d witnessed his breakdown after discovering the old letter, or perhaps she had just seen him hunched over and trying to cover his tears; but no matter.

Either way she’d done something for him even after he’d been a prick. True, his actions hadn’t been all that damaging, but they had been rude.

The mystery girl had called him an ass, albeit not directly to him or anyone besides herself, and she’d glared right back at him when he’d sent a puff of cigarette smoke in her direction. She’d made it clear she didn’t like his arrogant behavior, and frankly Spike hadn’t given a shit; until she’d gotten rid of those kids. Yes, they were sure to have left anyhow, but she’d asked them to be quiet until they did and made it obvious their presence wasn’t welcome. She’d done it for him. She didn’t know what was bothering him, or whether or not he was just tired, and Spike didn’t think she’d seen him crying; and yet, she’d tried to comfort him some.

He would’ve assumed that she’d done it for herself had he not noticed her look at him before changing course to go tell the kids off. Not to mention the looks he kept catching her send his way while she talked to the boys.

She was sweet, Spike realized. He probably would’ve figured it out sooner or later, from her lovely scent and quiet demeanor if nothing else, but she’d proven it to him early.

So that was why he’d opened the window to let out his cig smoke, therefore calling a truce and thanking her. Her questioning stare did nothing to diminish his belief that she’d gotten rid of the noisy teenagers more for him rather than for her, but instead amused him. When she went back to her reading he smiled a little, not being able to help himself. Maybe sharing his library with her wasn’t the worst thing in the world.

Spike looked down at the letter still in his lap. It had been so long since he’d happily accepted, or appreciated for that matter, a nice gesture from anybody. When someone offered their kindness, as rare as the occurrence was, he usually brushed it off, not caring at all. But this girl…

Spike folded the letter back up and slipped it inside his duster’s pocket, shaking his head. Perhaps it was just the loneliness getting to him, he didn’t know, but the urge to get closer to someone hadn’t been this vibrant a want in a while. It was only a slight burn, a little nudge he felt within his being, but it was there nonetheless. The closest he ever got to anyone nowadays was bumping uglies with random bar-beauts if he had an itch, but he usually forgot their names two days afterwards.

There was just something special about the woman on the chaise lounge, and Spike found his curiosity growing, even if it was budding against reluctance.
End Notes:
So basically all i have to say is please pretty please review! I really hope you all enjoyed this chapter! *huggles*
Chapter 6: Unexpected Expectancy by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
I know it's been a while, and i'm sorry. But i've learned that when it comes to my updates I tend to be sporadic, but try not to let it go past a month in time. Hopefully i'll never get that far in between updates with this fic. Anyways, here's chapter 6, enjoy!
It happened without them knowing it. The moments of when they’d simply read together, enjoying personal solitude while also sharing time with each other. The time they both unknowingly came to think of as THEIR time together.

The weeks passed. A relationship grew and neither of them realized it. They had a connection taking hold, but weren’t aware. They shared more than either of them could have anticipated.

Things happened to bring them closer, little things. And some bigger things too.

Their routine continued, Spike would arrive after she did. They’d make eye contact a few times throughout the night, often one or both of them watched the other secretly as well. The rest of September found the two starting to anticipate the other’s arrival, to take their own respective places on the always quiet third floor.

October came quicker than expected for the both of them, though just before the first of that month, September ended with something simple, yet unforgettable.

Buffy had been late to the library. Of course, it wasn’t as though she could actually be LATE to something like that when she wasn’t meeting anybody there. Not really.

She’d been almost running up the steps to the third floor when she dropped her coffee cup. It had become a habit of hers to buy a hot beverage from the little café she passed on her walk every day, so despite her later than normal arrival, Buffy still hadn’t been able to pass up her regular coffee.

She might as well have though. The cardboard to-go cup lay open and sideways on the wooden floor, rolling around silently in the almost empty room.

Almost empty.

Her gaze found his immediately. Green eyes widened in embarrassment and frustration while blue stared inquisitively- And she must’ve been imagining that relieved glimmer in his eyes. What would he be relieved about anyhow?

Buffy groaned and went to pick up her fallen cup, dropping to her knees. Between the anger at herself and that final step she’d tripped over, she was at least able to appreciate the fact that her coffee hadn’t leaked onto the nearest area rug. It would be easier to clean it off of wood rather than a soft carpet which looked rather expensive for being in a public library.

With an agitated sigh, her cheeks burning red, and a muttered curse, Buffy walked ahead. She deposited her bag and coat on the lounge seat on her way over to the bathroom.

She tossed her coffee cup away and washed her hands. Gathering too many towels to be deemed environmentally conscious, she went to clean up her mess.

When she exited the restroom her feet froze and she was, to put it simply, struck.

There he was, the stranger whose presence she’d come to depend on as a constant in her library visits. He was sitting by the mess she’d made, paper towels waded up in his hand as he soaked up the spilt coffee.

She couldn’t help it when her jaw dropped, and had to take a deep breath before heading over by him and kneeling down again.

“T-Thank you.” She stuttered, and mentally slapped herself for doing so. “I- I- I’m a klutz. You didn’t have to.. have to um, bother with this.”

Then she’d ducked her head, not being able to figure out why he made her nervous in a way that wasn’t her customary feeling of anxiety.

He spoke next, and she had to intentionally stop her eyes from widening comically.

“It’s alright. Not a problem.”

Five simple little words, almost clipped in their tone, and yet they sounded so sweet with that British coating.

She wasn’t sure why he hadn’t just left her to clean up her own mess, and she also wasn’t sure where he’d gotten the paper towels from so fast. One of the bathrooms below probably. But as she used her own to finish wiping up the coffee, she found she didn’t really care. He was being kind, and it was wiggy considering he always used to stare at her with an unwelcome message in his eyes. At least that’s how it had felt.

Except he hadn’t been doing that for a couple of weeks, Buffy had to admit to herself. His attitude had changed towards her, and though she didn’t know when she’d realized it, she could now acknowledge the fact.

That was the first thing.

The first time that something really tangible had happened between them.

At the end of the first week of October, another unexpected occurrence had taken place during their daily routine. Spike came in through the library door, he approached the flight of steps as he always did, he made his way up and-

His mystery girl’s now familiar scent was tainted with the unsettling aroma of tears. Her tears. Spike’s pace quickened without him really realizing it, and he reached the final floor with fists tightened at his sides. A worried gaze- though for him to admit he was truly worried about her would take quite a bribe -landed on her immediately. She was crying, her body shaking the tiniest bit and teardrops streaming down her cheeks. She was silent, her misery tight and controlled and yet anything but. Her hand was curled against her chest almost instinctually as if she was trying to protect her already suffering heart. And there was an open book in her hands.

Spike was taken aback by the display, the frown on his face deepening to one of shock and confusion. It was the story. Whatever her chosen tale of the day was, it was making her cry. He knew it was the book for the way she stared at it and he caught her gaze moving beneath the blur in her eyes. Then she flipped a page. She flipped another.

He stood there for God knew how long, just watching her. The emotions he felt within himself scared him. He was torn, completely. He wanted to go and comfort her yet at the same time knew he had no place, and another part of him felt like disturbing her would not in any way help matters. She needed to finish the book.

Someone passed by him in a moment as they headed to the bathroom. It was enough. Spike shook his head hard and as expected, his mystery girl hadn’t moved a muscle as she sat there reading and crying. She was delved in her book and it was the most beautiful and miserable display of feeling he’d ever seen.

The pain Spike had witnessed throughout his time was a different sort of anguish than the type he saw now, on her face. This was empathy, empathy for the characters in her book, for the tale she was reading and yet also living. Which meant it was her own pain too, her own sadness and frustration, yet it wasn’t all hers at the same time. Spike knew how one could be affected by a book, how the story’s victims of peril and death and heartbreak could feel close to your own if the book fit the reader.

Watching the emotional display on her face, it tore at him and sent a wide shining crack into the armor around the heart he had inside. The heart that didn’t beat and sat cold in his chest. The heart that as much as he liked to believe otherwise, had never stopped working.

As he gathered his usual notebooks and tomes from his not-so-secret shelf, and sat in his dark green chair, Spike stared on at her. She’d yet to notice him which wasn’t a surprise at this point, and he squinted just enough to read the title of the novel in her hands.

The end of that night came quickly for him, in contrast to how long it took for her to finish the book and for her sniffles to finally subside. In reality it had taken no more than an hour for her to flip the last page, and an extra fifteen minutes for her tears to truly stop.

It had felt so much longer to Spike. Yet the remainder of that night passed quicker than he could ever remember time passing.

When the girl left a sudden empty feeling had engulfed him.

The next day Spike would find himself checking out the book he knew she had returned to its rightful shelf. The same book that had moved her to tears, the book which he knew she must have loved and possibly hated at the same time.

He read it, and tears had come unbidden to his eyes.

><

The beginning of the third week of October arrived, and with it one night of strangeness and warmth. A night which had made Buffy see the man she had come to think of as her library pal, an albeit rough and closed off sort, in a new light.

She had seen him cry before, maybe twice in front of her. Once while looking at a slip of paper so long ago back in September, and another time when he’d cried because of a book (and oh she understood doing THAT just all too well).

Stranger-guy wasn’t a softy, and although the day had gone by normally for them, the ending of it couldn’t have been more unusual had Buffy seen him crying violently. Which she still wasn’t sure he would ever do such a thing. He cried, she’d watched him, but he didn’t blubber or sob, at least not that she had witnessed. No, he wasn’t the sensitive sort. But that was something that had been proven wrong the night she’d left after him.

Buffy was always the first one to leave, it was part of their routine. Except she’d gotten hooked on a spectacularly long novel and swore to finish it before she walked back to Grams’.

Stranger-guy had put his things away and she caught him out of the corner of her eye looking at her quizzically, but that wasn’t really a surprise. He’d ended up leaving after a moment or two of just watching her, probably wondering why she hadn’t finished her story yet or why she wasn’t leaving it for tomorrow.

It didn’t matter. She was on the last three pages when he walked down the stairs and out of the building. By the time she’d put the novel back and gotten outside, she’d expected him to be gone.

He wasn’t.

Nope. He was across the street, the area completely devoid of people asides from the two of them. MayBell’s library stayed open until midnight for some reason, one Buffy was too grateful for to think too much about, and the town was pretty much dead late at night.

And the sight which greeted her had Buffy ducking around the side of the building to continue watching stranger-guy as he walked and tried hard to ignore a little ball of fur meowing at his feet.

It was a kitten. A tiny multicolored fluffball, meeping and pawing at his ankles as he groaned at the sky and stomped away.

“Shoo! Bugger off ya little- Ugh…”

Buffy bit her lip to stop from smiling. She couldn’t decide whether to pout for the kitten’s sake or to laugh at the way stranger-guy was handling this.

“Will you leave me alone?!” He shouted at the animal, looking down at his feet where the tiny kitten blinked up at him.

He ran a hand through his hair and groaned loudly. “Wha? What do you want? Food? Sorry fluffy m’out, an I paid up all my debts a long time ago so I’m in no need of any kittens.”

She frowned at that. Debts? Maybe he had a sister or something who he’d promised to get a kitten for…?

Buffy shook her head. Couldn’t figure that one out no matter how long she thought about it.

“Will you jus’- I- Bloody hell.” He turned and stormed away from the feline, but it followed quickly, mewing still and begging for something stranger-guy didn’t seem ready to give.

“I said sod off!” He pointed in his opposite direction. “Go on now. Find your mum or somethin an leave me alone. M’sure she’s got some yummy milk jus’ waitin for you.”

Buffy couldn’t help it. She laughed, and had to cover her mouth to stop it from bursting out of her chest.

He walked away again. Feline followed.

“For the love of- WHAT?!” He yelled at the animal, and then when it mewled pathetically at him stranger-guy’s face finally softened.

He sighed. “Only fucking me.” With a shake of his head he kneeled down and scooped the young kitty into his arms. Buffy watched a tiny reluctant smile appear on his lips.

“Oh sure now ya start purrin’. Ya know, you’ve got a strange choice in owners. Can’t say m’gonna be any good at takin care of a bloody cat.”

Buffy almost ‘awed’ aloud when she saw the tiny kitten sit upright in the man’s hand and lean up to lick his cheek. She (or he?) had taken a liking to stranger-guy for whatever reason, and he was bringing the animal home. Begrudgingly.

“Alright, alright. Now what will you need to eat, oh hell I’m gonna havta Google shite aren’ I?”

The kitten meowed in response. The man nodded. “Lovely. Well Spike, you’ve got yourself a tiny tabby.” He turned away and scoffed at himself, furry creature still in hand. “This is gonna be a bloody riot.”

And that was the last thing she heard him say as he walked out of earshot. Buffy’s heart warmed and she was so unaccustomed to the sensation that she almost felt surprise directly follow.

She knew that if he hadn’t taken the poor thing home then she would’ve ended up with a new roommate- and thank goodness Grams loved animals -but seeing stranger-guy reluctantly take in the tiny stray had warmed Buffy thoroughly whole.

She knew, don’t ask her how, that he wasn’t one to let things affect him. He didn’t like it. And yet, that bleach haired, leather wearing Brit had picked up a baby kitty cat and decided to take it home. Because it had affected him, even when he’d tried not to let it.

Oh God this one had a heart. A heart he wanted badly to ignore when the situation called for it, when something touched it, but similarly couldn’t always disregard.

Sometimes something just got too far in.

Buffy knew that feeling. Maybe they both didn’t want to really care for the same reasons, and maybe he was better at it than she was. Maybe he didn’t have to hide from letting people in, maybe he could talk to others without finding himself wandering mentally and remembering painful facts, but all the same destination right?

He didn’t like getting close to anybody, and neither did she.

So why did it feel like she was already close to him?

><

Halloween was approaching. The festive decorations all over MayBell could’ve told Buffy that if she didn’t have a calendar. There were black paper cats in windows, carved pumpkins on doorsteps, and life sized replicas of famous movie monsters in several stores. The Frankenstein in Pretty Penny’s almost gave her a heart attack when she’d first walked into the place on Monday afternoon.

She was there to buy a new shampoo, and then she planned on heading to the library as always. It was nice to have a routine, something that was solid and something she could stick to. Something that couldn’t be pulled out from under her.

Setting her chosen item down on the checkout counter, Buffy removed one of her headphones and pulled out her wallet. Then a hand appeared in front of her, a twenty dollar bill flattened between the countertop and skin.

Startled was an understatement. She almost choked on air and had to close her eyes and count to three before turning to look at the man to her right.

“Liz, I’m paying for the lady’s purchases today.” The brunette smiled at the checkout girl he presumably knew and then sent his friendly grin in Buffy’s direction. “If she doesn’t mind that is.”

Buffy blanked. Completely and totally blanked. Years before she would’ve smiled charmingly at the handsome man and flirted, maybe tossed in a hair flip, but now she was just praying she would be able to get out of the store without the guy following her. And also, how the hell did she respond to his offering? “U-Um. You don’t h-have to do that. I-”

“Nonsense. Consider it a welcome gift.” He pointedly handed his money over to the cashier girl and she gathered his change for him. The man hadn’t taken his eyes off of Buffy once yet and she was already wishing to be somewhere that was else.

“A what?”

“You’re new in town. This…” He swiftly picked up the shampoo bottle and read its label. “Honey & Apple Shampoo is a gift from me to you. Welcome to MayBell.” He smiled again. “I’m John by the way. But you can call me Johnny, everybody else does.”

She nodded softly. “Nice to meet you. A-And thank you for- for um, the shampoo.” Buffy smiled with tight lips as she picked up the bag which now held her- er, HIS purchase. One deep breath and then she allowed a warm, thankful grin to come forth. Turning to leave she didn’t even hear the footsteps behind her until the door to the shop opened seemingly by magic.

Then she realized John had raised his arm above her head to open it. How kind.

And cornering.

She uttered a thank you again before heading down the sidewalk.

John followed.

“So what’s your name?”

She mentally groaned. “Elizabeth. Elizabeth Summers.” Buffy reluctantly pulled out her other earphone as he started talking to her.

“Oh you’re Anne Summers’ granddaughter aren’t ya?”

She nodded.

“Well I gotta tell ya, your Grams is a terrific lady, everybody here loves her.”

“Yeah.” Buffy smiled genuinely that time, thinking of her grandma brought comfort to her heart. “She’s pretty great.”

“I actually heard about you movin into town I think, word travels fast 'round here. You’re from California right?”

With a small sigh she answered him in the affirmative, but he didn’t beg off on this conversation he seemed so adamant to have with her. She needed to get to the library and she wasn’t interested in talking with a complete stranger. He was nice enough but-

“Have you eaten yet?”
“Huh?” She asked ineloquently.

He laughed a little. “I know, it’s a strange question. I’m just askin cause if you hadn’t I was wonderin if maybe you’d like to grab a bite. We could go over to Bobby’s place? Ya know, the grill joint?”

Buffy stopped dead in her tracks, though the truly desired move was to run. THAT. That thing right there! She’d guessed this conversation was leading up to this, a date. He was asking her out on a date and she knew it simply from the way he talked with her and smiled charmingly.

“Um. I already ate. I- I-”

“Oh. Well that’s okay. Do you uh, have plans for dinner?” He asked with more than a little hope in between the words.

Wow people moved fast in this town. Buffy pursed her lips and frowned apologetically. “I-I um. I’ve got plans to be at the library all day so, no not really but I have stuff.” Her sentence stopped there, and Buffy could’ve lopped off her own tongue for being so unhelpful.

“You have stuff?” He asked her with an almost amused countenance.

“I… I-” Oh god this rapid blinking thing was aggravating. She couldn’t think. She was blindsided and she couldn’t find a way out. Her mind clouded and her gaze focused on an area behind him. Closing her eyes Buffy took a deep breath and swallowed. “I- I have stuff to do. And I guess I just planned on.. on um, grabbing a sandwich or something when I got hungry. Until then I was going to be at the library.”

This seemed to appease him, and she couldn’t have been more grateful. With a grin Buffy assumed he meant to be disarming, John nodded. “Okay. Well, maybe I’ll see you later then.”

She nodded and smiled, trying to hide the relief she felt and probably failing. “Sure. Maybe later. I’ll just. I’ll get going I guess.”

“Okay. It was nice talking to you Elizabeth.”

Oh she doubted that. “Bye John.”

And she turned and walked hurriedly to her destination, to her place of reprieve. Her place where no one bothered her and there weren’t any shocking changes, there weren’t any frightening occurrences to shake her foundation, or people talking. There were no questions or loud voices. Just books, a bathroom when needed, and silence.

And him.
End Notes:
Please review!

And for any of you reading Opposites Attract please know that I am planning on getting it updated before the end of the week. I've just been really busy lately, the October holiday is important at my house.

Happy Halloween everyone! *huggles*
Chapter 7: Accidentally On Purpose by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Okay dont hate me too much? I am updating even if it has been a while... PLEASE DONT LEAVE ME
Buffy walked into the library with a coffee in hand, sighing thankfully when she entered. The place was warm, and though the outside world only lived with a slight chill in the wind, it was enough to make her pleased that the few clothes she owned were sweaters. Comfortable baggy ones that engulfed her, and while they probably weren’t the most in-style… styles, they made her feel covered and safe.

She passed the second floor on her way up to the third, not needing to stop and search for a book. She’d gotten to reading one of her Grams’ last night and still hadn’t finished it, so today she had it tucked safely away in her bag.

“Do you mind if I bring this with me tomorrow to the library?” She had asked her grandmother the night before.

“No, ‘course not. Yer planning on headin out there ‘gain tomorrow?”

Buffy nodded. “Mhm. I like it there, it’s… cozy I guess is the right word.” She looked at Grams’ smiling face. “Oh great. Now you think I’m some freak who does nothing but hang out alone all the time until they eventually go crazy.”

Anne laughed. “Not at all.”

“Sure. But I know you’re just waitin for the day when I start talking to myself.” Buffy shook her head and quirked her lips.

A raised eyebrow. “Are you warnin me for what’s to come? ‘Cause, gotta tell ya sugarplum I don’ know how I feel ‘bout livin with a crazy person.”

Buffy laughed. “I’m just kidding Grams. Promise, I’ll stay sane.” She took the book in her hands to her room, her grandparent following close behind.

“Thank you.”

“For?” The old woman asked.

“Letting me take the book with me.”

“Not somethin I need thankin for, dear. Though m’not quite sure why ya need ta bring a book to a library of all places.”

The teenager shrugged. “I just like this one. I’m on chapter three and probably won’t finish it tonight.”

Grams answered her in a light tone. “Thought ya might just be havin trouble findin somethin interestin to read over there.”

“Nah.” Buffy turned around and went to her chest of drawers, rifling through them for pajamas. “I can read almost anything. Haven’t had any problems finding stuff I like.”

“Alright then. Just was gonna say f’you were then you could always ask him to help you find a story you enjoy.”

“Well, I don’t know about that. He usually keeps to himself and-” She finished her sentence off with a gasp and swung around to face her grandma. “You-!”

The woman laughed. “I knew yous was interested in somebody. Ya’ve just had that look about ya for the past couple a days. C’mon now, who is he?”

Buffy eyes bulged as she stood there gaping like a fish, her cheeks turning red.

She had answered before without thinking, and her mind automatically filled in the ‘him’ her Grams was referring to without realizing that she should’ve asked WHO the ‘him’ was supposed to be.

Ugh, she actually wanted to slap herself.

Instead, she just sent accusatory eyes in her smiling grandmother’s direction and walked into the bathroom as she ignored the warm chuckling on the other side of the door.

Anne hadn’t gotten an answer out of Buffy that night, but the teenager didn’t know that her grandma had a pretty good hunch as to who the mystery man was.

><

Spike knew she was there the second she reached the top of the first flight. He heard her footsteps, the rustling of a plastic bag, and caught the woman’s unique scent. He’d memorized her sound after awhile, could tell when it was her heading up the old staircase rather than some random library dweller he could care less about.

Except this time as she walked, she didn’t stop off on the second floor like she often tended to do. Spike frowned at this and finally raised his eyes from the notebook in his lap to take her in as she approached. His mystery girl glanced at him, and when their eyes met small smiles were exchanged.

They’d been doing that for a couple of weeks now. Spike knew he was the one who’d started it, though he couldn’t find it within himself to care. She made him comfortable now, her presence, and he found his smiles couldn’t really be helped.

She sat down on her cherished chaise lounge and removed her shoes, as always, before getting all settled in and retrieving a book from her bag. He always found it odd she wasn’t one of those birds to carry a large flashy purse. What she had was a shoulder bag which looked used and old, but certainly not in bad condition. It was probably a backpack, but he knew it wasn’t used as such. Her coat looked like it matched the worn knapsack in a way, though it also obviously didn’t.

He watched her read, she started doing that thing where she nibbled her lip and he always found it tantalizing. Her blonde hair was in its usual ponytail and he often wondered what it would look like down. Her locks weren’t extremely long, but they shined and looked soft to the touch. Her slender fingers flipped a page and he zeroed in on the bobby pin she twisted and played with. Her habits distracted him, she hypnotized him. And whenever he wanted he could look over and catch a glimpse of her.

Spike went back to his notebook and continued his writing, knowing that his mystery girl wasn’t too far away should he feel a need to see her. Just watch her. At home he had no such privilege, he couldn’t look to her in person when the desire to see her face asides from in his mind’s eye nagged at him. Though now with his new pet as company, Spike was often able to distract himself, as well as feel something asides from completely alone. Yeah, he still had that bloody kitten, and he ashamedly found that he was beginning to spoil her.

He was such a nancy boy.

><

It had been a couple of hours and she was twisting that locket which always adorned her neck around in her hand. Her uncolored nails framing the heart shaped mental in her fingers. She was wrapped up in her story, and Spike found himself mesmerized by her for a few moments before he turned back to the poem in his lap.

The distant sound of a stranger approaching their floor whispered in Spike’s ears, though he was used to people coming up here occasionally, usually to use the bathroom. They were far and few between so he didn’t even bother raising his eyes to look at the newcomer.

Then he spoke.

><

“Elizabeth.”

She didn’t hear him, or the almost chipper tone he used when addressing her. How could she when she was immersed in her story and, for the most part, oblivious to the world around her.

“Elizabeth?”

Then her head jerked up as she finished the page, her green eyes widening comically at the face in front of her. “John.”

“Don’t worry, m’not stalkin you.” He said with his soft country accent. “But you said you were gonna be at the library all day an I realized you left somethin at Pretty Penny’s.”

He sat down on the chair beside her lounge seat, and the man didn’t seem to notice her tensing.

No one was supposed to bother her here. She was in book land, realm of absolute reprieve, and freedom from all threats the outside world threw at her. Threats like kind guys who asked her out on dates. Yes, she was being a complete hermit and this man was very nice, very friendly, but they weren’t just in town right now or outside chatting. She was in the library, HER library, and on her floor. She wasn’t supposed to be bothered here.

They weren’t supposed to be bothered here.

Before she could overanalyze that thought, John spoke again. “I’ve got your wallet.” He held up said object and smiled at her. “You probly hadn’t even realized it was gone yet did ya?”

The comment could’ve been looked at as condescending had he said it with anything less than warm understanding. Buffy blinked a few times and took a breath, silently willing herself to just talk like a normal human being for once and focus. “Thank you.” She said stiffly as she put her feet down on the ground. Then she realized she was barefoot, and the embarrassing knowledge couldn’t have been more interesting to her nervous mind. Of course she would latch onto that.

Trying for an easy grin as best she could, Buffy reached out and went to take the wallet from John. He pulled it a little bit away from her, a teasing smile creeping onto his lips. “Now now wait just a minute. I think since I’m returnin yer wallet to you I deserve a lil somethin in return don’tchya think?”

And just like that her frazzled nerves returned. Maybe he just wanted a cash reward (She could hope right?). Buffy thought she was going to be able to talk to this man without getting into a long conversation or losing her train of thought, but now she knew she was screwed.

She chewed on her bottom lip, erasing any point of having applied ChapStick earlier. She couldn’t recall putting her wallet back in her bag now that she thought about it, and the eye roll worthy stupidity she felt at herself was plentiful. God she was such a scatterbrain.

Biting back a sigh, her eyes landed on where they’d been itching to turn since the first moment John had entered her peaceful not-so-alone alone time.

Green eyes met stormy blue. She only glanced, couldn’t have looked at stranger-guy for more than a second, but it had been one hell of a second. The expression on his face and in his gaze sent a chill down Buffy’s spine and she actually had to tell herself to breathe after a moment of staring holes into the floor.

God he’d looked ANGRY, and she had no idea why. But he’d been staring RIGHT at her and where she sat talking to-

Shoot. Her eyes shot up, and the time must’ve seemed much longer to her than it actually had been in between sentences because John just sat there normally, awaiting her response.

Wait, response to what? She’d completely blanked on what they were talking about. *As usual.* Of course this time stranger-guy had helped with her mind travelling a bit.
“U-Um, what? I-”

“Come have lunch with me. If today doesn’ work for ya then sometime this week.”

“Oh.” So that’s where he was bringing this.

“I’ll take it as a thank you for returnin your wallet.” He smiled, and somehow the man managed to sound sweet and not pushy at all when asking her out for the second time in one day while also using the fact that’d he’d found her wallet as leverage over her.

He didn’t SOUND threatening or anything of the like, but it didn’t stop Buffy from grinding her teeth together in anxiety. She so didn’t want to turn him down again, but she even more so didn’t want to agree to the date. She just- No. It was a no, and though this man had returned her wallet to her and bought her shampoo-…

Damn it. Why was he interested in her anyway? Buffy knew she didn’t owe John anything, not really, though she could offer him some cash for bringing her wallet back to her. Hell she’d give him back what he’d spent on the shampoo too, she just didn’t want to go out to dinner with the guy.

“I can’t.”

His eyebrows drew together, a small frown coming out to play. “Oh. Well, can I ask why?”

Before she could even come up with a somewhat polite and non-hurtful answer to that, a third voice joined in on the conversation.

“Darling I finally found that book you wanted.”

Her green eyes locked immediately onto the frame of the man dressed from head to toe in black. Well, neck to toe if you included his hair in the equation. Stranger-guy stood there, a small paperback displayed in his outstretched hand. Buffy frowned hard as her heart began pounding, her confused gaze landing on his unreadable one. Then she looked at the book, and back to his face again. Had he just called her darling?

*What the fu-*

Her thought was stopped mid-word when the platinum blonde sat down, invading Buffy’s personal bubble and placing an arm around her. He didn’t really touch her, just grazed her while setting his arm down where it now encircled her hips and rested on the pink seat.

He put the book in her lap and then met the other man’s eyes with an almost challenging stare in his own. Before saying anything he looked back to Buffy. “Sorry it took me so long to find sweetheart, it was hidin behind some others.”

Did he really expect a reply? When she was so confused? Because the expression on his face almost looked like he wanted a response, and if he did then he was shit out of luck. And ‘sweetheart?’ Buffy was becoming so frustrated she was all set to whimper simply out of not knowing what to do.

Then he was speaking again, but not to her this time. “‘Ello mate.” He said to John. “Been keepin my girl company while I’s away?”

John’s reaction to that comment would’ve almost been funny had Buffy not been so abundantly lost. The man sputtered (yes, actually sputtered), and shook his head the slightest bit. “Oh u-um…” Buffy didn’t catch the little smile forming on stranger-guy’s face. “I was just returning her wallet. She uh.. I found it.”

John’s gaze went to Buffy’s and she suddenly felt how big her own eyes had gotten. She tried to smile easily, and surprisingly, actually succeeded. However, she had suddenly lost the ability to blink. Maybe it was a shock thing.

“Well then,” Stranger-guy said with a disarming grin. “that’s awfully good f’you to return it to her. Isn’t it, pet?”

Buffy turned her again startled expression to the man who’d caused it, but the look he had on told her to play along and she found herself slipping into a role. “U-um.. Y-yes it was.” She faced the brunette again, speaking genuinely even if her words were a bit too pronounced. “Thank you, John. I really, really appreciate it.”

Then, with all her might, Buffy forced a bright smile and could tell that John was ready to back off. He awkwardly set the wallet down on the corner table and nodded at the two people he thought were a couple.

“Um, sure. No problem. Anytime.” He nodded and smiled tightly at the both of them. “You guys uh, have a good day now.”

“You too, mate.”

They watched the visitor leave, neither Spike nor Buffy moving until he was completely out of their sights.

She’d apparently leaned into stranger-guy at some point, and their shoulders were now touching. Her hand itched to just place itself on his thigh but she tugged the urge back. What was wrong with her? And what the HELL had just happened?

Suddenly pulling away from him, Buffy scowled into his bright blue eyes. “What on EARTH were you doing?”

He smirked, and it really shouldn’t have been sexy to her at that moment, but damn him it was. “Helpin you. Could tell you were jus’ burstin at the seams to get rid a that bloke.”

Buffy looked on incredulous. How did HE know that? Though it was true, it still hadn’t given him the right to-

Wait. Why was she fighting this? He had saved her from having to go on a date with a guy she didn’t like. He’d set up a quick scheme to get rid of John and-

But. He didn’t know for SURE she hadn’t wanted that date. What if she had? Then he would’ve caused all sorts of problem and-

*Ugh he’s messing with my head!*

“Who says I didn’t want to talk to him?” She asked annoyed. “You couldn’t have been sure. And yeah, I’ll admit I didn’t. But still, what if I had?!”

Spike gazed into her vibrant green eyes sparkling with irritation and fire. She looked completely unsure of his gesture, whether she should care or not, be grateful or spit in his face. Her brows were furrowed into the most adorable little frown and the Brit tilted his head in study. While his eyes flitted across her face and gleamed at this new sight, words left his lips with a calm and knowing evenness. “You wouldn’t ‘ave gone along with our little game.”

Buffy blinked a few times, her scowl deepening. “W-Well it still didn’t give you the right to just come over here and- and lay claim to me.” She scooted away from him. “I mean, ‘darling’? Really? You were layin it on pretty thick but throwing in the pet names was just the icing on the cake.”

“Made him leave didn’ it?” Spike raised a cocky eyebrow. “An besides, didn’t hear you complainin.”

That freaking smirk of his was becoming very agitating very quickly. She narrowed her eyes before letting out a sigh. “Well, since I really didn’t want to go out with him, I guess I owe you a ‘thank you’ of some sort.” His growing smile made her backtrack. “Even though I never asked for any help.”

Spike blinked a couple of times before looking at his mystery girl with slightly amused eyes. When he’d first seen that pillock trying to talk to her he’d almost walked right up and strangled the git, and when she had clearly been uninterested in talking Spike had become even angrier. The bloke was sniffing around something that wasn’t his, and not only did the girl seem anxious around the stranger, but she’d looked right over at Spike.

Though he was still mulling over the now acknowledged feelings inside of him with panic, Spike had realized fairly quickly that he didn’t care quite enough about how much these emotions set him on edge when some other man was talking to his mystery girl.

His. When she had become his the Brit had no idea, all that mattered was that she was.

“What’s your name?” He asked. She’d said she thought he deserved a thank you right? Well, this was plenty enough for him. He wanted to know her, and a name was always a good place to start.

The woman blinked, pulling her head back a little in surprise. “Um… Why do you care?” So she was being cautious. Give her a break the guy had only talked to her ONCE before randomly pretending to be her boyfriend.

He laughed a little. “I need a reason to ask your name? You in the witness protection program, love?”

She gulped in response to the pet name she was so not ready for. Couldn’t he stop doing that? Using the endearments? Even if she begrudgingly liked them… “No but.. I don’t know you. N-Not really.”

“You know me.” He said with a little too much confidence. “We see each other every bloody day.”

She was silent at that, and when she didn’t look like she was about to respond and just kept staring at him with an unreadable expression, he spoke again. “I’m Spike. If it makes you feel any better.”

She scoffed suddenly. “Yeah, telling me your name is SPIKE makes things real casual and chill.”

He smiled and clicked his tongue, regarding her. “A’right then, what’s YOUR name? C’mon, I gave you mine. S’only fair you tell me yours.”

She rolled her eyes before the answer finally spilled off of her tongue. “Buffy.”

She paused right after she said it. Buffy. She hadn’t told him Elizabeth. Maybe it was because she already felt weirdly comfortable in his presence, and oddly at ease talking to him? Like she knew him? It must be because of all the silent time they’d spent together, although truthfully Buffy felt it wasn’t so simple. She couldn’t feel this way with others who she sat in the same room with every night but never talked to- But could she feel this way at all then? What made him so special? It was all really weird, and she hadn’t told anyone her nickname in a long time. Stranger-guy- Spike rather, was just… there was something about him.

Those damn blue eyes, she swore it was their fault.

He smiled before repeating her name, the sound sweet like honey but tainted with mirth. He couldn’t get that teasing grin off of his face. “Well it looks like m’not the only one with a funny name now am I, pet?”

“My name isn’t funny!” The defense was automatic really, and she refused to admit to the blush creeping up her cheeks.

Spike grinned. “Oh, so that is your name then? I wasn’t so sure you weren’ jokin, love.”

“Will you stop calling me that!”

“What?”

“‘LOVE’ and ‘pet’, it’s.. it’s annoying.” She was lying, and she couldn’t understand why he was getting her so flustered.

God she was cute all blushing and mad. “Sorry LOVE, don’t mean to make you uncomfortable.”

The woman sighed and finally took a moment to examine the situation. For once, in a very long time, she found herself not itching to get away from a conversation that didn’t include her Grams. It was…

Buffy frowned.

It was welcome. Weird too, but… nice. Even if her and stranger-guy were technically arguing, but it didn’t bother her. “You’re not making me uncomfortable.” She spoke before she could really think about it.

He titled his head. “Thought I was.”

“No.” Buffy smiled softly. “No. I- You’re not. I um, I’m sorry I snapped at you.” She felt the fire in her simmer down to a warm feeling in her stomach, and again she swore it was all because of those eyes. Of course, the man’s kind, albeit teasing manner helped in a way that surprised her. She should feel cornered but she didn’t.

She should want to get back to her book but found that this man interested her (well, he always had) and was unthreatening. He didn’t smile brightly at her like she was something fresh to a bored eye. He didn’t flirt with brashness, if he was flirting at all, and he wasn’t asking her a million questions asides from the one about her name.

“You’re forgiven.” He said with gentle delight in his tone. “Wasn’ mad anyhow. An I won’t ask you to repay me for savin you from that ninny.”

“Ninny?” Her brows drew together and her nose scrunched.

He didn’t think she could’ve been cuter if she tried. “Ninny, fool or simpleton. Look it up f’you must, love.”

She narrowed her eyes playfully. “Why would I when I have my own talking dictionary right here?”

He laughed and smiled. Buffy found she liked seeing that look on him. “Well, my own BRITISH dictionary. You’re English huh?”

A sarcastic tone was adapted. “Gee what gave it away, ducks?”

She smirked. “Well nicknames like THAT for one. ‘Ducks?’” Buffy raised an eyebrow.

He smiled bashfully. “S’just a thing we Brits do.”

“Am I supposed to go quack?”

He laughed outright at that. “Oh God I hope not.”

Buffy waited for his chuckles to die down before she spoke again. “What other nicknames are in your vocabulary Mr. Brit?”

His eyebrow quirked. “Did you just call me Mr. Brit?”

Buffy smiled again, and she was too caught up in talking to Spike to notice it. She hadn’t grinned this much in a while, even when talking with Grams- and ESPECIALLY not when talking to a stranger.

Why Spike got her to open up her shell and crawl out of it (Okay maybe she was only peeking, but still.) was an ability the Summers Girl wasn’t looking to figure out. If Buffy started wondering why she felt comfortable in this stranger’s company she would start over thinking and questioning stuff she really did not want to examine right now. So she sat and talked, without pausing to think of why she didn’t want to get away. Without pausing at all.

She didn’t blank out and her mind didn’t travel, her brain didn’t wander to painful thoughts or downhearted memories, and it was nice just to talk.

Spike teased her, when he made her blush for the third time in a row he pointed it out and told her that she was cute when she did that, which only succeeded in making Buffy redden more (much to Spike’s delight). He talked about light things with her, easy conversation topics that didn’t prod or ask for more than what she was willing to give. The only moment Spike seized to ask her when she had moved here was after Buffy mentioned she used to live in California.

“I just moved here a month ago. I um… I live with my grandmother now, Anne Summers.”

He looked thoughtful for a moment. “Oh, yeh I think I know who you’re talkin ‘bout. Lives over on James Street right?”

Buffy nodded, thankful Spike didn’t seem to be ready to ask her about WHY she’d moved. “Right.”

Spike chuckled suddenly. “Cute little old lady, your grandmum is. Tough one too, packs a hell of a punch she does.”

Buffy’s eye widened into saucers. “What?” She asked, slightly frightened over what Spike had just said.

Spike’s easy smile turned into a confused frown. “Wha? You don’t know?”

When she said nothing in response Spike laughed before catching himself. “Oh.” He covered his mouth to smother the grin and tried to force back his laughter.

“What?” Buffy asked suddenly, eager and apprehensive at the same time. “Why are you laughing? Wh- What do you mean by my grandmother ‘packs a hell of a punch’?”

He didn’t answer, but instead bit his lips together to fight back the smile that threatened to emerge. “Spike!”

“Alright, alright I’ll tell you.” He said, barely containing his mirth. “I saw your grandmum out late one evenin, walkin home I think she was. Passed by some folks she knew I suppose, started talkin to em. When I was just ‘bout to the corner I saw her turn and face this old bloke. Looked mightily brassed off, she did. ”

“Oh my God.” Buffy rolled her eyes closed. One part of her slightly in shock and another part not surprised in the least at where this was headed. Her Grams may be sweet and gentle, but Buffy knew she also didn’t put up with shit. “Grams what did you do,” she said to herself, head tilted towards the ceiling.

Spike smirked despite himself. “She decked him.”

Buffy’s eyes opened and stared in crazy cartoon style at the man in front of her. “I wasn’t expecting an answer to that!”

The smirk never moved. “Well, you asked.”

“It was rhetorical!”

“A minute ago it wasn’t. You were beggin to know that your Grams could be the next Mike Tyson.”

Buffy groaned. “Oh God, only Grams.” She put her head in her hands as a helpless smile crept up her features. Then the laughing started, and she couldn’t quite stop.
End Notes:
Sooo if anyone's there I'd love reviews! They feed my muse :) Matter of fact, they're its favorite food
Chapter 8: Building a... Something by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey i know it's been a while, unfortunately RL sucks and i cant manage my time... at all. Which has always been a huge problem for me. But here is chapter 8, and i promise I wont leave this story unfinished!
He stepped through the front door of his home later that night, the foyer was wide in size and the walls a dark maroon color with brown molding.

Spike wasn’t affected by temperature, whether it be below zero or hitting southern highs in the summer, but he liked to keep his home warm. Warm in both degrees and atmosphere; though sometimes he felt that he could hardly call his place a home.

It was lonely, empty. Lacking in the living. However, he could at least call it his own. It was personalized and comfortable, filled with rich colors and area rugs. The kitchen was a golden yellow hue, the sturdy oak island and cabinets and counters he had built himself.

You learned a lot when you’d been around for as long as he had, and didn’t have anything really worthwhile to take up your time with. Some might say it was strange not having tile in the kitchen or new granite countertops, Spike didn’t really give a damn. And the large fireplace that he’d reopened and gotten working again, although no one but him enjoyed it, made his entire living room that much more welcoming. He did find it ironic sometimes how there was no one he’d want to welcome into his home though.

Well maybe that wasn’t quite true, the meowing furball at his feet said otherwise.

Shaking his head at himself the Brit bent down to pet the little thing. “How’d you get out a the kitchen ya little hairball?”

It purred in response, then turned around with its tail in the air and hopped back into the room Spike had thought she’d be set in for the night. And oh yes, he was guessing it was a she; had too much attitude to be male.

The big bad, creature of the night had set up an open box with a blanket in it as a bed for his new pet, as well as a water bowl and mushed up kitten food and a saucer of special formula. Spike had put a child gate in the doorway and hoped that the animal would’ve stayed put, considering he’d gone to a lot of work to kitten-proof his kitchen. However, it looked like she’d just jumped out.

If she’d gotten lost in his house somewhere he never would have been able to find her. “Naughty lil thing.” Spike said as he scooped the animal up, she was so small she fit right snugly in his hand, and started purring once again as he held her close.

Spike carried her over to her empty dishes and set her back in her box then refilled everything. He started contemplating ways of keeping her safely locked away in this one room while he was away from home. She started gobbling up her food and drink, unknowingly making the vampire smile at her.

Spike rolled his eyes at himself as he removed his coat. The little furball was just too damn… cute, all fluffy and purring all the time. What was he supposed to do, give her away?

After an hour or two of searching on the internet for how to properly tend to the animal, he didn’t feel like anyone else would take good enough care of her. Not when he knew he would.

Spike sighed as he opened up the refrigerator and tossed a blood bag into the microwave, waiting for it to beep. When it did he grabbed his dinner and emptied the blood into a mug. Taking a gulp he looked at the feline now rubbing against his booted foot. He would never understand why she took such a liking to him, but she did. As long as he kept her fed, of course.

The night he’d first brought her back with him she’d meowed for almost an hour before Spike had finally realized he would have to go into town and break into the closed pet shop and swipe some food for her. She was too little for anything he might have in the fridge, which wasn’t much to be honest. Just some left over buffalo wings, blood, and a frozen pizza. There was of course a lot of sugary frozen treats like ice cream as well, but even he knew that wasn’t very nutritional to a kitten… or a vampire for that matter.

So he’d gone and stolen all the things she would need. Formula, both dry and wet kitten food, a couple of little feeding bowls, some toys...

Okay he was completely whipped by her. Do you think he was happy about it?! A bloody cat and it already had him wrapped around its little paw! Believe him, Spike was not pleased with himself.

Though every time she looked up at him with those big green eyes he didn’t really care anymore.

Spike shook his head before taking another gulp of his meal, and picked up his now fully fed feline. She started purring again and he tried to stop the smile from forming on his face but failed. Miserably.

He swore it were those eyes of hers, they reminded him of his mystery girl’s…

Okay yes, strange things to compare. But every time Spike looked into the kitty’s eyes he swore they were the exact same shade of green as Buffy’s.

Buffy. God he couldn’t have guessed that name in a decade, but it was cute. Fit her somehow. After really talking to her for the first time tonight Spike thought he saw another side of the bird, not including the beautifully irritated version that had sparked after that bloke who’d been hitting on her left.

Spike was shown another side of Buffy tonight, one he hadn’t thought he’d ever be fortunate enough to see.

With as much as he watched the girl she always seemed desolate and sad. Alone. The only times he got to witness feeling lighten her face was when she was reading. She would cry or smile and sometimes even laugh when she had a book, but after that cover was closed she’d usually become quiet again. Not quiet in the sense where she didn’t talk, because Spike had never really talked to her to deem whether or not she was being strangely silent or just being herself.

No, without a story for her to read SHE became quiet. Her eyes dimmed to a dull albeit still gorgeous hue, and her shoulders sagged just a little. Spike couldn’t put his finger on it but without a book, Buffy was always quiet.

Except tonight she hadn’t needed a book. She’d talked with him, and he’d seen a whole different side of her. She was paying attention to him. When they chatted she listened and laughed, smiled and rolled her eyes a couple of times. She made little jokes once in a while and she actually became alive with him. A light surrounded her. She wasn’t just living a story while she flipped through pages, she had engaged with him and Spike saw a spark. She just had something about her that drew him in, that shone. Although it was a tempered light.

She’d unwound in a way Spike had never seen before unless she was lost to another world, but there was a shadow lining that light she carried. It was so… she just seemed not quite all there with him, like she was holding back without trying; if he could really describe it as such. Her light was dimmed. He had no idea why, but he knew there was… something hanging over her.

Don’t ask Spike how he knew all of this, because truthfully he didn’t. There was no proof. He hadn’t known her for too long, although he also felt that was a lie. He DID know her, he did understand this girl and he KNEW something was following her around and saddening her. He just didn’t know how he knew her so easily, he didn’t know why she called to him like a beacon and he didn’t know why he let her.

Spike had never, in over a century, noticed somebody like he did her. Sure sometimes, over the years he would see a person who had something special about them, who carried themselves in certain way or stood out to him. He had seen so many people over time, and yet none of them carried a signature like Buffy did. His mystery girl.

His mystery girl who Spike realized he had developed feelings for.

With a groan he quickly finished up his blood, bringing his pet with him into the living room where he set her down on the couch. Spike went to light the fire while grumbling to himself about the same person he’d been trying to get off his mind for a long while now.

He didn’t like this. Sure he didn’t like being alone either but getting closer to Buffy was both impossible and impossible to AVOID. Noticing her at Pretty Penny’s was one thing. Spike had figured he wouldn’t ever get to know her and had accepted the fate immediately; although she had been in his thoughts for a short time after first spotting her, sooner or later he would’ve been able to shake her memory easily enough. Then she’d been at the library, and now he was too attached. Spike wasn’t sure how much he liked that fact that he was finding himself worrying about her and mooning over her pretty eyes all the time, it was bloody frustrating!

He had been alone for many years now and getting closer to a human girl was not on his to-do list. People left and died all the time, he shouldn’t be this focused on the girl. Not to mention she’d run off in bloody terror if she ever found out what he was. Vampires after all didn’t exist.

Spike kindled the new flames a bit and watched sparks fly into the air. They lost their light and heat before his eyes, changing from yellow to black as they floated back down to the flames. A tiny meow from the kitty-cat behind him caught Spike’s attention and he moved the metal screen back in front of the fire before walking to her side. He petted her on the head for a moment before moving to his TV set and switching it on, hoping that maybe something was playing which could distract him from thoughts of Buffy. Someone who Spike had a feeling wasn’t going to stay such a mystery to him anymore.

Christ he was fucked.

><

“Grams!” Buffy yelled as she entered her home. “Grams where are you?!”

After walking home remembering her entire night at the library, certain topics that had been part of hers and Spike’s conversations resurfaced and the Summers girl was ready to ask her grandmother something important.

“Jesus now why’re you hollerin?!” She yelled back from the kitchen. “I may be old but m’not deaf get yer skinny butt in here!”

Buffy entered the kitchenette with her hands on her hips. “Now I want verification.” She said in the sternest voice she could muster. “Did you punch somebody about two months back?”

Anne frowned for a minute before she titled her head and nodded. “Yeah. I did, so?”

Buffy guffawed. “Are you joking?!”

“Now child why on Earth would I joke ‘bout somethin like that?” She asked as her hip stuck out and she set a hand on it. “An obviously you knew it happened or else you wouldn’t a come in here yellin about it.”

“I- I just-...”

“What? Thought an old lady like me couldn’t strike a man who don’t know how to keep his hands ta himself? Please, sugar Old Arnie ain’t the first I’ve decked in my time.”

“I- He-… Okay ya know what never mind, I just-” Buffy hung her bag over a chair and sat down with a slightly amused expression. “Now I know that we are definitely related.”

Grams went back to the pot she’d been stirring and smiled proudly. “Ya don’t mess with Summers Women, that’s what yer granddaddy always said. He taught me that right hook you know.”

Buffy was chuckling and bit her lip to try and stop, though it didn’t help much. “D’you ever use it on him?”

“Nope. Your gramps was a smart man. Always knew when ta keep his distance f’I was in a bad mood. Saved himself alotta headaches that way I’ll tell ya that.”

Buffy nodded before her grandma spoke again. “You know I don’t remember tellin you anything ‘bout punchin old Arnie. The folks in town still talkin ‘bout it?”

The girl reddened before she could even think to help it. Time to talk about stranger-guy now… “U-Um no. No I heard about the incident from someone else.”

“Who told you?”

Before Buffy could answer Grams said, “Get up for a minute darlin and come try this gumbo over here. It’s an old Cajun recipe, see f’you like it.”

Buffy did as was asked and walked to the tall black pot where Anne pulled out a filled wooden spoon. “Now who mentioned me punchin Arnie?”

The girl blew on the gumbo before tasting it and nodding in approval. “Well, I didn’t even know who you’d hit I was just told that you were seen- That you-” Buffy sighed. “Remember that weird guy I told you about? The one at the library with the- the bleach job and the attitude and the blue eyes? Well I finally talked to him today, like we actually had a conversation and um… When I told him I was your granddaughter he started laughing about when he saw you punch some guy. He thought I knew. He said that you had a hell of a right hook.” Buffy mumbled the rest.

Anne was silent for a minute before a proud grin appeared on her face. Then she just shook her head and went back to stirring the gumbo.

“Why are you smiling like that?”

“Like what?”

“Don’t give me that,” Buffy said. “I know that smile, I’ve seen that smile. Why do you look all… all…”

“All what, sugar?”

“All proud and like you know something. C’mon Grams, I know it’s not just cause you’re happy this guy complimented you on your fighting skills.” Buffy placed her hands on her hips.

Her Grams turned to her, the smile never wavering. “So you talked to him, huh?”

Buffy blushed again then nodded, avoiding eye contact. “Y-Yes. We talked.”

Anne nodded. “A’right. Now you just go on and wash up for dinner.”

“Wai- What?” Buffy frowned, confused by the abrupt change. “Go and-”

“Go put your things away and wash up for dinner. The gumbo’s just ‘bout done now, I’ll set the table.”

When the teenager didn’t move Anne took a hand towel and swatted her granddaughter’s butt a couple of times in lighthearted reprimand. “What’re ya just standing there for, put yer bag and jacket back in yer room. Go on now.”

Buffy left with her things, a frown still marring her features. She was sure her Grams would’ve asked more questions, grilled some details out of her about Spike. But the older woman hadn’t even asked his name.

Odd.

><

Anne finished setting the kitchen table and poured some spicy gumbo into the two bowls set out. She smiled to herself once again, thinking about what her granddaughter had told her.

She’d known Buffy had a crush, or at least an INTEREST in somebody, and Anne figured it was the strange man who lived in town and whose name was known by no one.

She also knew that if she asked too many questions about him, Buffy would shy away from her possible budding feelings and over think things. And while the girl might do that all on her own anyhow, Anne didn’t want to have a part in messing with anything.

She’d want Elizabeth to make her own choices, even if they were possibly risky, rather than scare her away from making any at all.

><

Buffy tore off her jeans and slipped into a heavy pair of sweat pants. She took her hair down and went to the bathroom, looking in the mirror at herself after she closed the door.

She looked less tired than usual. It was strange, seeing her reflection filled with just a day’s wear rather than exhaustion. The circles under her eyes weren’t as defined, and was that a little grin on her face?

No. Now that couldn’t be, could it? She was only thinking about her night, only remembering the time at the library, when she’d talked to stranger-guy. Someone who wasn’t much of a stranger anymore.

Buffy sighed and went to take off the little makeup she had on. She’d actually really enjoyed talking to Spike; she’d had fun tonight with someone again. It was nice. The conversations shared weren’t awkward and there had been no strain. His smile was infectious, his laugh warm and nice to listen to, his accent deadly.

There was something very different about Spike. Asides from all that black and the platinum hair, which okay Buffy had to admit looked pretty good on him. But no, that’s not what she was talking about. There was something unusual about him, he acted differently in ways. She couldn’t put her finger on it.

For one the guy never came in earlier than six o’clock, he always had the same books that he went over- Well, most of the time. Sometimes he grabbed something different but not usually, and then of course there was just an air of edge around him, something almost- No, not almost. Definitely. Something that was DEFINIETLY dangerous, and yet Buffy wasn’t the least bit afraid of him. And there was a layer of emotion so deep in his crystalline eyes whenever she looked at him that she knew he wasn’t like anyone she’d ever met before. She had a feeling that this man had lived lifetimes, and felt every emotion in the book.

Buffy sighed again as she dried her skin with a washcloth and applied some moisturizer. What she was feeling and why she kept thinking about him even now that she’d left the library, she didn’t know. All she knew was that she liked him, the rudeness she’d once seen in him wasn’t really there tonight. Well, just a little but that was only when John had been asking her out.

Funny how easily Spike had slipped in to help her out with that. She still remembered… “Darling I finally found that book you wanted.”

She smiled to herself. She owed him a thank you for that, even if he had blindsided her with his plan to get John to leave.

“Dinner’s ready, ‘Lizabeth!”

“Coming Grams!”

Buffy yawned and headed to the kitchen.

Maybe tomorrow she’d bring Spike a coffee or something.
End Notes:
What did you think? Did I make you go AWWWW at Spike and his kitten? I hope so because i awwed a couple of times just at the image...
Review please! :)
Chapter 9: Backtracking by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
I hope you guys like this chapter, it's a little longer than normal :)

Also, my heart goes out to all of those who are affected by the tragic deaths in Newtown, CT and China. R.I.P. to the victims
She hadn’t been back to the library in a week.

Instead she’d developed a new routine, no matter how temporary Buffy knew it was. She would walk with earphones in, her head in a book; and if she wasn’t reading it she was carrying one in her bag.

An aged dirt road, with a small line in the ground where bikes had frequently passed was her daily route for now.

That coffee she’d planned on bringing to stranger-guy- Well, not so much stranger-guy anymore since those hours of actual conversation with the man. –had never been delivered. She’d never gone back to the MayBell library, not after her brain started working again- and Buffy did not remember giving it permission to go on vacation!

Photographs could do a lot. They could help people to reminisce, conjure nostalgia, make someone smile.

Seven days ago they’d managed to make her cry. Of course, Buffy was no stranger to tears as of late, and God knew she’d recently become very acquainted with the whole red eyes and tight throat thing.

Yet the emotional downturn she had taken a week ago wasn’t her everyday upset or nightmare caused breakdown.

She’d been up in the attic.

Bare brown wooden walls that needed some serious dusting, a crooked picture here or there, a heavy old trunk. Oh yeah, the house’s third floor could be used in movies it was so predictably authentic.

She had wanted to simply explore a little, having remembered all the historic junk and unlabeled boxes that hid up there. A couple of porcelain dolls, an antique coat rack, a wardrobe with missing handles and drawers on the bottom. Old 20s and 30s style dresses. There were tons of things.

Then she’d looked to the boxes, one having caught her eye. The folded cardboard flaps weren’t taped and no dust touched the surface. The fact the rest of the attic looked like a potential Pledge commercial led Buffy to believe that this box must’ve been moved upstairs recently.

Curiosity jabbed at her.

She wished it hadn’t.

Inside were stacks of pictures. Ones of when she was little, ones of her parents, as well as some of Papa. Tears welled up in Buffy’s eyes and she’d bit them back as well as she could, which wasn’t that great all things considered.

Grams must have hidden the pictures on purpose before her granddaughter moved in, not wanting Elizabeth to see them and get upset.

*You tried, Grams. You tried, and I love you for it.*

It felt like the fire had been just yesterday. Wiring in old houses was really something that should be checked out periodically.

Buffy shook her head harshly against a cold breeze. She should’ve thought of that or something, should’ve been there the night it happened.

She’d quickly come to the conclusion a long time ago that if she had been home the night she’d lost her family, then something might’ve been done to stop it. She might have thought to replace the batteries in the smoke detector or she might have smelled the smoke, she might have been up at the time the fire started. She was a teenager after all, stayed up past midnight pretty often. She’d done it that night when she’d been sleeping over at a friend’s house. She should’ve been home.

Instead she was snuggled up watching movies and laughing, and that’s when she’d gotten the call. At four in the morning on a Saturday a man she couldn’t remember the name of told her that her home had burnt down, her mother and grandfather trapped inside.

Papa- her grandfather -that was what she called him. Buffy clutched the wristwatch in her fist as she gazed ahead at the river in front of her. Her pathway, the little bike trail led to a dark and smooth river where Elizabeth would sit in the grass and just think or read or try and lose herself in music. She was holding the only thing of her grandpa’s that survived the disaster. It was found in the remains of the fire, along with the locket around her neck which had been her mom’s. They were the only two things Buffy had left.

She often found it strange how a human being could be burnt to death, while a piece of jewelry or a device used to tell time made it out just fine minus a little smoke damage.

Joyce Summers died in the flames, though the coroner said she most likely passed out from smoke intake first. Buffy’s grandpa, Joyce’s father, had been saved by a fireman before the fire could take him; however, he died of smoke inhalation on his way to the hospital shortly after.

And Buffy had lived. She missed them every day. After her dad passed away when she was little Papa had come to live with her and her mom, helping raise the young Summers girl. Going to her ice skating competitions and watching cheerleading tryouts. Attending brownie meetings when mom couldn’t make it; though most of the time Joyce was there too.

Tears leaking from her eyes for the hundredth time that week, Elizabeth wiped irritatingly at them and yanked her headphones from her ears. She swallowed hard and put the antique watch back inside her book bag but couldn’t stop herself from fiddling with the necklace she wore.

She looked up at the bright blue sky, immediately reminded of Spike. Those eyes.

She missed him. She missed being able to talk to him, but it was the fact that she missed someone she barely knew anything about and who was still someone that she felt she knew very well, that kept Buffy from going back to the library.

There was a pull; she wanted her special pink lounge and the warm atmosphere of the third floor, and the regular glances she would make at him. She wanted to feel his presence, whether it was to talk with Spike or just be in the same room. She needed that familiarity and comfort, but she couldn’t have it. She was already too attached.

She couldn’t get closer to him. She’d lose him or something, she couldn’t allow herself to get closer. No matter how much she wanted…

These fears were huge for her, knee chattering and heart pounding huge. However, if they were the only things keeping her from going back to the library she might have given in by now. Given in to the things Spike made her feel. Buffy wouldn’t fool herself into thinking it was JUST the nice solitude the place offered that kept tempting her back. Spike was a big factor in the library missage here.

But now, she knew that with all of these feelings and memories, and all of this pain so close to the surface… all this dreadful pain… Her comfort around him would fade. Those hours of conversation where she’d been able to enjoy his voice and not zone out into her own saddening mind- That would be lost. Drudged up issues and still recent wounds had been irritated and she hurt more in this week than she felt she’d hurt yet since her mom and grandpa died. She had to wait until she got a better control, until a little of the agony had blurred.

She couldn’t lose the comfort she felt near this new man in her life, and though Buffy didn’t dream that her and Spike would actually form a relationship that others might envy (romantic or otherwise), she still didn’t want to have to lump him in with the rest of the strangers. She didn’t want to WANT to ignore him. She wanted to keep the feelings he evoked in her, the safety and weird calmness he brought to her. The joy.

She couldn’t lose that, and the added reminder of being terrified that if she did get too close to him something might take him away from her, was just more incentive for Buffy to keep absent from the library.

So she did.

She just didn’t realize what it was doing to him.

><

Spike woke up from yet another restless sleep. He hadn’t known vampires could get bags under their eyes, but his trusty Polaroid that he used as a replacement mirror had confirmed his suspicions many times this past week.

Buffy hadn’t been back to the library and Spike was worried nearly out of his head about it.

He wouldn’t be if she hadn’t shown up like clockwork over the past month; she was there every day he was, but the past seven had been a change.

She was nowhere near the place, and on the third day of nearly pulling his hair out from worry about the girl he’d gone to check out her home. Begrudgingly of course. He was still mad at himself about it.

From a distance Spike had caught a glimpse of her, but she hadn’t been okay, that was for sure. Buffy’s eyes were bloodshot and her body was shivering. Since then he’d checked on her every day, always caught her walking back from somewhere. He’d seen her crying once and watched as she steeled herself before going inside her house. Then he’d heard the girl’s voice, talking to her grandmother he presumed, and Buffy sounded cheery.

If he wasn’t allergic to the bloody sun Spike would get up earlier and figure out where she went, he knew it wasn’t the library since her scent was too faded there.

No, his mystery girl wasn’t around, and he wished she would come back.

He knew something was wrong and he wanted to fix it. He figured it must have to do with the overlay of sadness she always carried with her, but he had no bloody clue what even caused THAT.

Grumbling under his breath, Spike sat up in bed sighed. He hoped he wasn’t scaring her from coming back, now that they’d actually had a conversation he didn’t want her to avoid him out of fear of talking to him again. He didn’t know why she would do that though unless she didn’t enjoy his company, but Spike was nearly sure after their night of talking that she did. He also was pretty damn sure she wouldn’t be crying her eyes out over him, and hiding her tears from her grandmother.

He just didn’t understand it, and he was getting beyond annoyed that he had no idea what to do to help make her feel better.

He was also aggravated that instead of taking his way out of this budding relationship (whatever it was turning out to be), he’d been so damned worried over Buffy that he’d actually gone to check if she was okay rather than taking her absence in his life as a blessing. An opportunity to avoid getting closer to the bird.

But no. Spike was just too damn attached to her.

This was all fucking ridiculous.

Groaning quietly to himself, he stood and walked to the bathroom. Before he reached the door a small meow from behind drew his attention back to the bed. “Ah, yeah furball I’ll feed ya when m’done with my shower,” he said as he patted the kitten’s head lovingly.

Looking into her warm gold and green eyes, Spike frowned. He really needed to talk to Buffy soon.

He didn’t like her being upset. He didn’t like not being near her. He didn’t like not getting to watch her smile at a book or something he’d said, or seeing her twiddle with a bobby pin or that necklace she always had on.

He didn’t like seeing her cry, and he didn’t like how much he gave a bloody damn.

Spike’s shower was quick, as was setting his little pet up in his bedroom with a litter box and food.

Finally the vampire headed out into the shadows cast by the fading sunlight, set on finding his girl.

He was spending more and more time lately wondering if she could ever truly be his.

><

The man turned his head up to look at the clouds rolling in. It was going to rain, the thunder in the distance could barely be heard, but it was there. The sky was turning grey and dark. Being that it was Halloween he felt it rather fitting, though he was sure all the little ones who went out looking for candy didn’t like the thought of a storm ruining their holiday and chances at sweets.

The whole bloody town celebrated on the 31st of October. There was always a festive party thrown by one of the residents in this big old barn. The fun started at 8 o’clock, after the kiddies had gotten time to go from door to door with their empty pumpkin satchels.

It was a cheery public event. Spike never went.

He wondered if Buffy would be there. He didn’t think so, not with the way she’d been acting lately. If she were to go to that he was sure her grandmother had guilted her into it, intentionally or not.

Speaking of which, there she was now. Not Buffy, but her grandmother. Anne Summers. Spike always sort of liked the lady, even though he’d never actually talked to her before. He’d seen her enough, and there were just some people that he could tell he would enjoy should he ever get to know them. Of course, he never even thought to do that.

He still wasn’t sure why Buffy was any exception.

Who, by the way, was not with her Grams.

The gray-haired woman started walking towards the heart of town, an umbrella used as her walking stick as she moseyed down the street in an orange sweater and cat ears. Spike shook his head, smiling a little.

He looked back to the house when Anne was out of sight, frowning at the darkness that it permeated. It looked homey and lived in, but the rooms were unlit. No light shown anywhere, and Spike knew Buffy wasn’t inside.

He sighed, closing his eyes the vamp tried to focus on her scent. Her sweet smell had managed to enter his dreams and memory every day now; each moment when he awoke he had the fragrance on his lips, and then it would disappear.

His nostrils twitched, and he opened his eyes when he got a fresh hold of the scent. Determinedly and with a cocky smile, Spike strode ahead in the direction where he’d find her. He hadn’t thought to be able to lock on her smell so easily, not having needed to work that particular vampiric talent in a while and knowing he was out of practice. Not too shabby though, it seemed.

Now all he had to do was find her.

><

She’d forgotten it was Halloween. Buffy looked across the river at the little kids with their parents and older siblings, they walked from house to house ringing doorbells and collecting candy. She hadn’t been to town since the last day at the library and Grams was the only person who she’d seen asides from the occasional stranger across the river, and now those who crowded the block on the other side of the flowing water.

A cool breeze chilled her and Buffy squirmed beneath her sweater, her shoulders hunching inward to try and keep warm. Today there was supposed to be some kind of annual Halloween party in town. Grams already left to attend, and had asked Buffy if she wanted to come with.

Can you guess what the answer to that had been?

Of course, she’d been nice to Grams when declining the offer, and thankfully Anne hadn’t pushed the invite. Elizabeth just really didn’t feel like being around anyone right now.

Thunder sounded in the distance, tugging a sigh from the blonde’s lips. She didn’t really want to go back in, the emptiness of the house would seem unfriendly and taunting. It would. What with her having stayed away from the festivities in town just to avoid people.

The house would be barren and loud with Grams’ absence; Buffy didn’t want a reminder of how pathetic she was that she couldn’t even attend a party with her grandparent.

She just had no reason to go. She didn’t know anybody for starters, and Grams knew everybody. Anne would have a good time no matter what, Buffy was sure. So avoiding the whole issue of putting on a smile and meeting people she didn’t particularly want to try and listen to, by letting her inner loner come out and keep her at home, was just easier. Except she wasn’t at home, she was sitting on the grass in front of a dark river, watching strangers in costumes running around as they enjoyed the holiday.

Which was easier. If she was home, it would be even lonelier. At least outside she was kept company by the wind, the sound of people’s laughter, and if she tried really hard, she could pretend that the blue sky up above was the comforting gaze of a man she felt she knew better than she should.

Except it wasn’t blue. Not anymore. Clouds had rolled in, marring the bright color with grey shadows and a stormy overlay. The thunder was getting closer, Buffy could hear it.

She still didn’t want to go inside.

Sighing to herself, she stuffed her ipod in her bag and rose to her feet. Just before she was about to start the walk home, Elizabeth bit her lip and turned back around to face the river. Unceremoniously dropping her bag on the dry earth, she closed her eyes and breathed in deep.

She stretched out her arms, allowing cool air into her lungs. The smell of a fresh rain about to pour wafted gently around, and she squeezed her eyes shut tighter. A drop fell on her nose. She focused her senses, waiting for the water to sprinkle or mist or drench her. She didn’t care. She just wanted to feel it.

The determined absence of thought probably had to do with why she never felt his approach, or the steady gaze he watched her with before the man finally spoke.

“‘Bout to start a rain dance, love? Don’t think you’ll need one.”

Buffy frowned immediately, swallowing hard the gasp that had risen in her throat. She lowered her arms to her sides but didn’t turn around. She didn’t even open her eyes.

“What are you doing here?” She inquired softly, her tone not betraying how shocked she was that he was right there, so close to her after not seeing him for days. And they weren’t at the library.

Spike tilted his head, studying her as she refused to look his way. “Could ask you the same thing,” he said. “Haven’ seen ya in awhile. Thought you went missin.”

She could tell he wasn’t serious, what he’d said was obviously a short joke, but the on-edge part of her chose to look at it as accusatory. “So? What’re you like my keeper?”

He frowned, a puff of humorless laughter squeezing past his lips. “Hardly, just thought about you was all. Wondered where you were… library seemed a little empty.”

Buffy pressed her lips together. She didn’t want to talk to him- Well okay that was a lie. She did. But she didn’t want to lose him either, have him become like everyone else.

She didn’t want to talk to anybody, no matter how much the suffering inside of her begged for someone to share its anger with. Someone to ask why there was pain for those who didn’t deserve it in the world, why all of the pretty pictures were lined with sharp thorns throughout their canvases. For someone to hear the agony as much as Buffy felt its wail within her body every time she was reminded of her dead family. She wanted someone to listen, but she didn’t want anyone either.

And she certainly didn’t want the one stranger who wasn’t really a stranger, who could bring her joy and make her forget about the horrible things, to become just another preferably ignored individual. She couldn’t open up to him and dirty the happiness he brought her.

“You gonna say anything, pet?”
“Why do you still call me that?”

Spike shuffled a little closer, the raindrops hitting his back lightly as they sounded a soft pattern on the leather. “You stopped complainin ‘bout it the other night. Not long after we talked ‘bout your Grams and-”

“Why are you here?”

He scowled, her distance from him irritating and, worryingly, hurtful. “Why shouldn’t I be?”

She finally turned around, a sigh pulled from her lips as she looked at him with a frustrated expression. “If you keep just answering questions with questions, we’ll never get anywhere.”

“I’m not exactly bein the aloof one here, love.”

She crossed her arms. “Why do I have to be aloof? Why can’t I just be being normal, and you’re being nosy? That sounds more accurate to me.”

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Oh really,” he said, as the rain began to fall harder. “Well excuse me for wonderin how you are. Didn’t realize there was a waiting line to talk to your precious self.” He waved a hand, gesturing at her.

Buffy rolled her eyes and didn’t let show how the comment stung. “There isn’t a line. As a matter of fact, I’m closed. No open booth today, come back tomorrow for a refund on your tickets.” Her harsh tone spun with her as the girl turned around again, her ponytail whipping violently.

Spike scoffed. “Well someone’s just all kinds of pissy ain’t she?” He took a step closer. “What crawled up your arse and died?”

“I’m not pissy, just don’t feel like talking. I’m closed, remember?”

Spike’s jaw tightened, he wasn’t getting anywhere with this girl. If only he could hit a nerve, pinpoint a problem and bring out whatever was actually bothering her. It might help to alleviate some of the anger and… hurt, he saw displayed for him through the rain.

“Are you gonna hit the bricks anytime soon or am I the one who’s gonna have to leave?” She asked him, her voice rising as the stormy skies got louder.

Spike frowned and tilted his head. “Who says you have to leave, love?”

Exasperated, she turned back around, hands on hips. “No one! I’d just appreciate being alone and I don’t really want your company, okay?!”

His nostrils flared as he took another step closer to the fuming young woman. “I was only out for a walk, Goldilocks. S’not my fault I found you,” he lied.

“Out for a walk,” she asked, softer this time as her brows drew together. “Looking to get drenched?” Buffy gestured to the sky.

“Could ask the same of you.”

Forcing herself not to yell out in frustration was one of the most difficult things she was sure she’d ever done, this man just kept pushing her buttons. Before he’d been so nice, though from their very first encounter with each other, she shouldn’t be surprised he was pulling out a fury in her right now.

She’d thought she’d lost the ability to get riled up like this, she’d stopped caring about so many things long ago... She should be rolling her eyes and walking away in quiet civility, not getting angrier and angrier.

Buffy crossed her arms. “Are you just going to stand here all day, driving me up a wall?”

“Why? You got somewhere to be?”

The tone he used made Buffy feel insulted. He sounded as if he was challenging her, baiting her?

It worked. “Maybe I do! Either way it’s none of your business.” She grabbed her bag from the now damp ground and stormed off, the aggravation showing clearly on her face.

Spike narrowed his eyes and groaned inwardly. She was going to drive him crazy, but he wasn’t going to leave her alone now.

He caught up easily enough, staying by her side which only added to Buffy’s agitation. “Got a hot date, have you?”

“No,” she answered in reaction, not being so happy with the urge she felt to reassure him that she wasn’t going out with another man. “But even if I did, it wouldn’t be any of your business.”

A little nerve twitched with the clenching of his jaw once again. Spike walked faster and the rain fell harder. “Saw your grandmum toddle off to that little Halloween party in town. Didn’t feel like attending, love?” He asked chidingly.

She rammed to a stop and turned on him, her hand harshly gripping the handle of her bag which was slung over a damp shoulder. “Again, how is that ANY of your business?!”

Spike narrowed his gaze, ignoring her angry question. “Sent Grams off on her own ‘cause what, you’d rather be alone to stand outside in the rain? Gotta tell ya, lamb, s’a bit-”

He didn’t get a chance to finish. “It’s a bit NONE of your business! You have no idea why I didn’t go with her tonight, so don’t take guesses!” She turned to leave again, the rain now heavy enough to have already planted her hair to her head and started soaking her jeans.

He followed again, having to stop himself from grabbing her arm and making her face him. “You feel worse when you’re in a crowd, don’t you?” He accused, his tone rising as the sound of the pouring rain started to block out his voice.

She didn’t even flinch, nor did she respond, but Buffy moved quicker. Her steps had turned into mud splattering stomps.

Spike didn’t relent. “That’s it ain’t it? You don’ like bein ‘round crowds so you hide.” He ran a little to stop in front of her, his gaze determined. “Why are you tryna hide from me now, Buffy?”

The question was laced with vulnerability and a probing strength that scared her. She felt almost forced to admit her fears, as if he’d pointed a gun to her head with those damn eyes staring as intently as they were. His beautiful face was concerned as well as searching. He was genuinely worried and wanted to know. He wanted to know why she was pushing him away.

She was so terrified at the fact that there was even anything between them to require pushing.

“I know there’s somethin hurtin you,” he declared, his accent a rough yell into the sound of a heavy rain. “I can see it every time you’re in my sodding view. Your eyes… your light. It goes out.”

She stared at him and swallowed hard but imperceptibly. Her gaze was both stony and pained as Buffy brushed passed him, storming away again.

Yet still, Spike did not leave. He caught up to her, his tone, though loud, had softened since his last statement. “What happened to you?”

She whirled around at that, all fury as the final straw of control and reason snapped. “Nothing happened to ME! Nothing! I’m right here! I’m alive, I am FINE!” She shouted, her throat scratching as she said the words.

“You don’t look fine,” he proclaimed, his voice strong and forceful, as if ordering her to tell him the truth and why she hurt. Why she was pushing him away like she seemed to do everybody else.

“Well I am,” she said through clenched teeth. “I don’t want to talk, and I don’t want company. I just want to be left alone!”

“You seem pretty alone to me, pet.”

Buffy’s eyes welled with tears suddenly. Her exhaustion from this fight and her determination to keep her secrets was finally boring down on her. She would not cry though, not now. Not in front of him. He would not become an outlet for her grief.

Spike had something about him that didn’t manage to frighten her off like a newborn colt. When he made a joke or said something that could be deemed flirtatious she listened without strain. Others were hard to focus on because Buffy’s mind wandered into loneliness, but when it was Spike her mind was one tracked. She focused on him. She didn’t want to lose that.

But she already had.

Buffy’s heart abruptly crumbled.

Here she was, arguing with him, screaming in anger that had been formed from sorrow and bitterness. He would never forget that a dark shadow rested over her heart now, he seemed to already be aware of it.

And he would not forget how she was treating him, how she was acting. He’d approached her before she could force her raging emotions down from the surface, and her sensitivity had erupted to try and block him out.

Buffy’s fear of Spike being too close when she was hurting like this, of dirtying the joy he brought her or losing the connection they managed to hold, had gotten her to feel wrath like she hadn’t experienced in forever. Wrath that was formed from sadness, from self resentment and fear.

She’d not cared about another person in so long, Grams was the only one. Until now it seemed.

Before she realized he’d even moved, Spike was in front of her, gently placing a hand on her wet cheek. His touch was gentle, and he shushed her when those startled glimmering green eyes shot up to meet his.

“I... You don’t have to be alone all the time. Not if you don’t want, Buffy.”

His voice was so sincere, so soft and kind that she almost broke down. But then the words he’d said registered and new resolve stormed her eyes. “You don’t know anything about me.”

She turned to leave, but he grabbed her arm and spun her around again. His face was a portrait of unsteady control and frustration. “Like tellin yourself that one, pet?”

She glared at him. The rain had soaked his bleached hair and his face was wet as the water continued to pour and drench them both. He was still gorgeous. A beautiful man who was pissing her off and hitting nerves. Why couldn’t he just leave her alone?

And why wasn’t she shoving him away and running home by now?

“I- I-… What do you want from me?”
His gaze softened considerably. “I want to know what’s hurting you.”

She took a moment before finally conceding, her face stony and almost wary at the same time. “The past.”

Spike relaxed his posture some, his eyes showing compassion for the girl in front of him. “Everyone’s got a past. Mine’s not so much fun to relive either.”

Buffy’s fear died a little, just as her walls came down a fraction and her breathing calmed. The sensation of rain soaking into her clothes was now uncomfortably felt and fully acknowledged. She sighed loudly, her head dropping to look at her wet tennis shoes and Spike’s shiny Docs.

“Wanna grab something to eat?”

It was barely a whisper, and if Spike didn’t have fine-tuned vamp hearing, he was sure Buffy would’ve taken the chance at pretending she’d never said a word. He tilted her chin up gently though, allowing her to see that he’d heard her just fine and there was no way she was getting out of the invitation.

“Yeh,” he nodded, his fingers sliding away from her face. “Sounds good.”
End Notes:
Reviews are appreciated! I read them all :)
Chapter 10: Getting to Know You by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone, i hope you're still following this story. Here is chapter 10, i hope you enjoy it! Please leave reviews! :)
So she found she was desperate enough to ask him to join her for a meal. She didn’t like to call herself desperate, but that was the driving force which had given her courage to ask Spike if he wanted to get some food. Together.

Not on a date, that was for sure. But together.

She just hoped he didn’t ask her about what was hurting her again, Buffy hadn’t even realized there was a giant dark cloud hanging over her head all of the time. It was true she’d stopped caring about how she came off to people, though; and she certainly didn’t skip around and smile much anymore.

Spike being able to read her like a book, whichever way he managed to flip the proverbial pages, didn’t sit well with Buffy. She liked talking to him, but she still wasn’t sure about this budding trust she had growing in her heart for him. As if she could talk to him about her pain without actually losing him.

She didn’t feel it was possible, for so many reasons; and yet, a small helpful (or wicked, she wasn’t sure) voice told her to take tiny steps and trust him. Trust whatever this thing was between them. Whether it be attraction or… just some strange bond, a weird understanding of one another. Buffy’s gut was telling her she could trust it.

And she was just lonely enough to take a step in trying.

“Come in. You can put your coat by the radiator to dry.” Buffy closed the door behind him.

Spike slipped off his duster as he looked around the living room, his eyes zeroing in on the soft embroidered couches. He wondered if they were why Buffy had chosen that pink chaise lounge at the library to occupy every time she visited. Maybe they reminded her of this place, of home.

The living room was small, not very cramped but not very roomy either. The two matching antique couches looked aged but well taken care of. A rectangular coffee table with a glass top rested in between them, a filled bookcase lined half a wall above the fireplace, and a long radiator sat beneath three windows. Pictures were everywhere, from the mantel of the clearly not recently used fireplace, to the walls that were otherwise bare asides from warm amber wallpaper.

Quaint and homey. Those were the words that came to Spike’s mind as he looked at the living room. It was nice. He felt comfortable here, it wasn’t impersonal and cold like the homes he hated. It was lived in, delicate and comforting. Welcoming.

He still didn’t know how he’d gotten an invitation without having to coerce Buffy into saying the words. Just his luck, he guessed.

Not like he deserved it, but he wasn’t going to question it either.

“Where’d you say I could put this, pet-” Spike broke off when he turned around and Buffy wasn’t there. He never even heard her slip out.

Wet leather coat in hand, the man frowned and poked his head around a corner, looking into the dark and mostly bare dining room. She still had to be in the house, he would feel it if she wasn’t.

He hung his duster on the mantel near the radiator, uncaring if the leather got a little dry near the heat. It was wet from the rainwater anyhow.

Spike slowly walked into the dining room. There was a large wooden table in the middle, bare except for a vase of flowers. Matching chairs surrounded the table, and a china cabinet filled with pretty glassware and some pictures stood almost to the ceiling. There were windows on the east wall with pink curtains that touched the floors. The space was immaculate.

Continuing on, Spike kept silent. He was gently perusing, not touching but viewing. Buffy, wherever she was, would come out soon he was sure. In the meantime he was going to look around. He was unrepentantly curious.

Reaching a small kitchenette that was separated from the dining room by only a door, Spike pushed on through and savored the sweet smell of honeysuckle. A window by the sink was open, and he looked outside to see a well cared for herb garden growing in a small planter box.

A door which Spike quickly figured out led up to the attic was just on his right. When he turned around he saw a short hallway that connected to a small porch with large windows on every wall.

He saw another door that was off to the left of the kitchen’s entryway, and he walked ahead to open it.

A room with a desk and matching swivel chair was what met him on the other side; two sets of shelves that were lined with books and nik naks stood against the deep brown walls. There were framed photographs hanging, an area rug in the middle of the floor, and windows on both sides of the desk.

It looked like something out of an old movie, there was no dust to be seen or breathed, but the entire room was aged. Papers lie spread out on the writing table, as if waiting for someone to come and organize them. The whole study almost looked preserved, but seemed used at the same time. It was comforting and mysterious all in one.

Off to the right and left were a door each. Spike moved to the one farthest from him and opened it to see a well kept and large bedroom. It was obviously Buffy’s grandmother’s. The bedspread was soft looking and floral print. The wallpaper was clean and cream in color. Facing the bed was a tall mirror attached to a chest of drawers. Lotions and a few glass bottles of perfume rested on the surface, a tissue box and three black and white photos sat neatly in their places, and there was a closet to Spike’s left.

Not Buffy’s room. Spike closed the door quickly and turned to face the other one he’d yet to touch. Walking toward it he quietly twisted the knob and found a short hallway and a little linen closet. The hallway led to a bathroom, which was attached to another room. An open doorway stood before him, but it didn’t stay empty for long.

Buffy emerged, her hair was finally down, though it was wet and being wrung out with a towel. She had changed from her soaked clothes into a pair of sweatpants and another pullover. Spike idly wondered if all the shirts she owned were large, practically overbearing sweaters.

Not that he was complaining, she was cute as hell standing in front of him all cozied up with her cheeks and nose red from the weather. Finally he got to see those tresses loose, though they were still wet from the rain. Spike smiled without thought, but then he saw her scowl as she tugged the damp towel away from her head.

“You took the scenic route,” she said a little accusingly.

“What?”

“There’s another door to my room,” she walked backwards, silently beckoning him to follow her. He did and was led into her bedroom, her small and sweet space which, apparently, had another entrance.

“Right here. You didn’t have to go through the kitchen and the study just to find me.”

She seemed annoyed, which Spike figured was because she probably deduced that he’d been giving himself a tour of the place. And yet he’d missed the second door located in the dining room. “Sorry, love. Didn’t know where you went.” He shrugged.

Buffy’s frown didn’t leave her face but its reason seemed to change. Walking back to the bathroom and brushing past him, she tossed her towel on the sink and grabbed a dry one.

“Here,” she handled it over. “Your clothes look dry but you can use this to take care of your hair.”

Spike’s brow wrinkled but he took the towel, smiling hesitantly as he started rubbing his curls with it. “Thanks, dove.”

*DOVE? Jeez, what’s with this guy and nicknames?* Trying not to show how he was affecting her, Buffy turned around and went out through the bathroom door, telling Spike to follow.

He did, thankful that she’d gone first so the girl wouldn’t get a glimpse of his lack of reflection.

That’d be a fun little road to go down now wouldn’t it?

Spike rolled his eyes. God he hoped there weren’t any crosses just lying about.

“Do you want… um, I’m not really sure what we have actually.” Buffy nibbled her lip, unknowingly causing Spike’s gaze to zero in on the action.

She opened the fridge door and frowned. “I could make sandwiches,” she shrugged, her little absentminded pout making Spike smile again.

“Sounds just fine, love.”

She grinned then, a little happiness finally coming back into her eyes as she pulled out what looked like turkey and mustard. “What do you like on it?”

She wasn’t a cook. Her Grams was the cook, but Buffy wasn’t horrible at it, and a simple sandwich was no problem at all. She just hoped Spike wasn’t too picky, there really wasn’t much in the refrigerator that didn’t require chopping or mixing or cooking of some kind.

“Anything. M’not hard to please.”

She turned to face him, something in his voice catching her attention. He was watching her intently, he still held the towel in his hand and was looking her over in almost calm contentment... it seemed.

It wigged her out.

“Want any help?” He asked.

She swallowed- *No Buffy, that was a gulp.* -and shook her head before spinning away from his eyes. “No. It’s okay.”

As she prepared the food, Spike stared closely. He didn’t need the meal, but even being a vampire he still got cravings for regular foods sometimes, mostly spicy and sweet stuff, or things that had a particular texture he liked. He was choosy but he did have one tracked taste buds, after all. A sandwich wasn’t normally a non-nutritional treat for him, but Spike would still eat it.

“Mustard and tomato?” Buffy asked, not turning to face him.

“Sure,” he said, smiling when he heard her heart rate pick up. Out of all the things in this kitchen, Spike mostly wanted to get a taste of the young woman standing before him. He’d been tempted to sample the girl’s blood ever since her scent became a fragrance to compare all other aromas.

Before the library, he hadn’t been near her long enough to be tempted- Well, more than natural for a vampire on a strictly bagged diet. Ever since first seeing Buffy he’d known her blood would be sweet, though. He’d just sensed it, but then her scent had proven the guess and spiced up temptation.

No one could smell that lovely and taste bitter or bland. It wasn’t possible, and hadn’t happened once in his long line of human tastings. Spike always knew what someone’s flavor would be like before he took a sip.

And Buffy? Oh Christ he wanted a sample.

“Do you want water, milk, or lemonade?”

“Hmm,” he asked, not paying attention to what she’d said.

She spun to face him, a soft smile on her lips. “What would you like to drink?”

*You.* Spike shook his head, forcing the thoughts of blood and how sweet a delectable little blonde might be from his mind. “Um... Water’s fine, love.”

She nodded and went to fill a couple glasses, dropping ice cubes in before bringing the drinks to the table. She felt a little blush creep up her cheeks and fought it down as best she could. She didn’t know why she felt on display, but it probably had to do with the fact that Spike was practically studying her like some scientist with a microscope.

The domesticity of the moment didn’t escape her, but Buffy chose to ignore it just the same. Way too weird to be thinking of someone you barely knew, but-kind-of-do-because-you-guys-have-this-strange-connection-thing, in a homey husband-wifey kind of way

*Whoa wait a minute! Wifey? Husbandy? What the hell is wrong with me, there is nothing marital about this or him or me or- UGH! Just serve the damn food, Buffy.*

She tried her hardest to shake away the disturbing thoughts and set down two plates with turkey sandwiches. She took a breath and hoped he didn’t notice the way she was suddenly starting to avoid eye contact.

“Where’d you get the locket, love?” He practically murmured the inquiry as he picked up his sandwich and went to take a bite, his bluer than blue eyes never leaving her throat.

Buffy subconsciously touched the jewelry in question, her heart rate slowing as dreadful thoughts and memories threatened to float to the surface. She fought them down and didn’t respond for a minute.

Spike must have sensed her discomfort because abruptly he drew her attention back with an almost soothing tone of voice. “Hey, s’alright f’you don’ want ta tell me, y’know.”

Buffy jerked back to herself in less than a second. “I know,” she stated with just enough confidence to her voice that Spike had to fight back a grin. He liked it better when she was lively rather than quiet.

“It was my mom’s.”

Her unreadable expression that accompanied the admission had Spike instantly deciding it would be wise to tread lightly here. “It’s pretty,” he said. “Looks similar to something I once saw before. A long time ago.”

She nodded, not quite sure how to continue the conversation. Then she spotted the rings on his fingers. She pointed to them. “You like jewelry too, huh?” There was a little tease in her voice.

Spike looked down at his metal adorned hand and smirked. “Yeh,” he half laughed. “Sorta do, they look even better when the nails are black.”

Buffy smiled as a laugh spilled forth. “Black as in nail polish?”

He nodded before taking another bite of his sandwich.

Buffy scoffed, though there was no condescension behind it. “Okay,” she said with raised hands, as if just willing to accept the fact that he liked doing his nails from time to time.

She finally went to take a bite of her own sandwich, washing the mouthful down with a sip of water. She hadn’t known how hungry she was until now. It seemed that fight had worn her out. She wasn’t tired, though. The whole debacle outside had helped make her feel… lighter somehow.

It was nice. Him being here now. Even if the conversation was lagging. Buffy herself didn’t really mind, and as her guest took another bite of his meal, she thought that he didn’t seem to mind much either.

><

A companionable silence had settled over while after they ate, the small kitchenette grew cool as the sun sank lower and lower in the sky, until finally night fell completely. The open window wasn’t shut and the sounds of crickets and other nightlife only added to the atmosphere of tranquility that soon draped over the house.

The air smelt of fading summer and autumn leaves, damp earth and honeysuckle. A candy bowl had been nearly emptied by Spike and Buffy later in the evening as they’d decided it would be good to finish off the left over trick-or-treat goodies Grams had bought for visiting children. The tootsie rolls were taken greedily by Buffy as she swore dibs on any and all things chocolate. While Spike grabbed all the sour and fruity pieces he could get his hands on.

The Brit felt like a grubby toddler fishing through the candy bowl with Buffy in her living room, fighting for certain pieces of candy and threatening to eat all of the Hershey bars if she didn’t cough up the last cherry Jolly Rancher.

The indignant and mock glare she sent his way as she withheld the sweet from him threatened to make Spike laugh, but finally she threw the Jolly Rancher passed his shoulder and the man leapt off the couch to retrieve it. Buffy quickly dived forward to grab hold of all the Hershey bars she could as Spike searched, with a smirk on his face, for the missing candy on the carpet.

Truth be told, he could’ve caught the Jolly Rancher mid air, his vampire status gave him quick reflexes, but it was more fun watching Buffy scramble to get a hold of all her desired chocolate bars before he returned to the couch.

“That was cheating.”

“We already agreed I get the chocolate,” Buffy replied evenly, looking cute as a button sitting Indian style on the sofa. “I gave you back your Cherry one, didn’t I?”

Spike squinted at her, trying hard not to smile. “S’not fair when you throw it, love. An besides, I’m pretty sure there are some Laffy Taffy missing from my pile.” He scooted back into his seat on the opposite side of the candy bowl and examined his small pile of chosen sweets. “Where’d that strawberry one go?”

Buffy regarded him and his pile of candy innocently, frowning like she had no idea what he was talking about. “I didn’t see a strawberry one.”

Spike tilted his head, his tongue going to the inside of his cheek as he scrutinized the blonde in front of him, listening to her slightly accelerated heartbeat. “Oh you didn’t, did you?”

Buffy shook her head. “Nope.”

There was just too much emphasis behind the adorable way she said the word, popping the ‘p’ with her pretty lips as if a bubble were bursting. “Liar.”

Buffy mock gasped. “You’re accusing me of-” She broke off when her eye caught sight of something by the edge of the candy bowl, something she’d thought was hidden safely beneath her own pile of sweets.

Spike followed her gaze.

Their eyes met simultaneously, just as on cue as when they both dived forward to try and grab the last strawberry Laffy Taffy.

Spike got hold of it first, bringing his hand up in triumph as he shook the candy by its wrapper. “Aha! ‘I didn’t see it’ my arse. You’re a thief.”

Buffy glared and pursed her lips, annoyed he’d gotten hold of the treat first but also amused at the entire situation. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d felt so silly and carefree, relaxed.

“And you’re a hoarder,” the woman declared. “There’s not near as many Hershey bars in here as there are fruity things, and you refuse to share!”

Spike twisted the Laffy Taffy in his fingers temptingly, flaunting his victory in her face and refusing to feel sympathy for the Chocolate Queen. “A deal’s a deal, love. S’not my fault you claimed everything brown ‘fore I could even get a look at the bowl.”

She harrumphed, looking very much the pouting three year old. Then her head tilted and her eyes glinted. “What if I trade you?”

Spike frowned, seeming to consider the offer. “What are we talkin here?”

She held up a finger. “One large tootsie roll, for the Laffy Taffy.”

Spike scoffed. “Don’t think so, pet.”

Buffy threw her hands up. “Well then what do you want in exchange?”

Spike tapped the wrapped sweet against his chin, seemingly considering his choices very seriously, before finally smirking slightly and offering a deal. “Two Reese’s for the Taffy.”

Buffy gaped. “Two Reese’s for one Laffy Taffy?! Are you insane, Reese’s are at the top of the Halloween Candy Food Chain.”

“And you’ve got the only three. I think you can spare a couple.”

Buffy grumbled something under her breath.

“Take it or leave it, princess.”

She scowled at him before biting her lip. She had an idea brewing and though it was risky, she was willing to take a chance. No one took away her Reese’s peanut butter cups. That was just mean.

“Okay fine.” She acted like she was about to pick up her Reese’s. When Spike held out the Laffy Taffy, waiting for her to offer her half of the deal, she quickly snatched the Taffy away and then bolted off the couch.

“Hey!” Spike blinked at the smirking girl in the doorway. Even with his vampiric abilities, he had NEVER seen a human move that fast before. Her hand had literally blurred as it snatched away the strawberry treat.

“Too slow,” she taunted in a sing-song voice.

The Brit’s gaze darkened and Buffy fought down the little twinge of anxiety as he stared at her.

“You’re gonna regret that.”

Buffy flipped her now dry hair over one shoulder, wiggling the candy she’d taken in one hand at him unashamedly and rather proud of herself. “Here’s a tip, Spike. Never try an take chocolate away from me.”

He stood up, and Buffy started to unwrap the Laffy Taffy. A mischievous and flirty smile appeared on her lips. She knew what she was doing, how she must look and the signals she might be sending out, but Buffy couldn’t make herself to stop.

Spike’s pupils dilated, his eyes zeroing in on her as she bit her lip and grinned at him from across the room. She peeled away more of the pink wrapper and went to take a bite of the candy, and just before she sunk her pearly whites into the treat, he pounced.

Buffy laughed and rushed through the dining room, bursting into the kitchen as she heard Spike approaching not far behind. He wasn’t running, but rather walking quickly. His footsteps hit the floor in warning that he was coming.

Damn why wasn’t the house bigger. She could go outside she supposed but the backyard was only so big and she was barefoot. Buffy looked around her, deciding that the study wouldn’t be a good idea. Although it had two doorways attached to it, Spike would assume she went to the safety of her own bedroom and find her quickly there. If she hid in Grams’ she’d be stuck. There was no more than one doorway to that room.

Then Buffy thought of the attic. If she was quick enough…

Spike’s footsteps got closer.

Buffy opened the door to the upstairs and as quietly as she could, shut it closed. Then she bolted up the steps, not bothering to tread lightly. She was too caught up in the game to think that much about her position and the sounds she might make to lead him on to where she was.

Spike calmly entered the kitchen, though his body was in hunter mode. His eyes were blacker than they were blue, his nose twitched in search of his prey, his blood simmered lowly with the excitement of the chase, his hearing…

His hearing picked up on footsteps above his head, almost at the same moment as when his nose caught her trail and his combined vampire senses told him there was a human up in the attic. As his body told him where he would find Buffy.

He could feel her, it was something quite new to Spike. He wasn’t unaccustomed to knowing where a hiding human was resting, where a heartbeat thrummed among silence and emptiness, but this was different. He FELT Buffy. His hair stood up on the back of his neck as he opened the door to the attic. His boots climbed up the steps her feet had touched and he felt a jolt run through him.

He could almost taste her scent he was so aware of it.

One thing Spike knew for sure, as he calmly walked up the steps even while his body was strung tighter than a violin bow, he’d never gotten this worked up over a piece of candy before.

><

Buffy breathed calmly, the air in the attic dusty and humid despite the cool night. She was behind a mirror with aged glass and chipped paint on its wooden border. She heard Spike take the last step as he set his feet on the attic floor, and she thought he might speak as the silence suddenly seemed to engulf her.

The chase originally caused by friendly teasing had rapidly changed into something else entirely. Buffy’s heart was beating rapidly and a part of her believed he could hear it. What was going to happen when he caught her? She doubted he’d just go for the candy.

And she was right. Spike wanted a taste of something much sweeter. He knew very well what would happen once he found her, once he took those steps towards her hiding spot and rounded the mirror she used as a wall. Once he laid his hands on her, once he kissed her.

Buffy wasn’t so sure. She knew she’d started this whole thing, was the one to put the first spin of flirtation and tease on a game of cat and mouse. She didn’t know what she was going to do now. She didn’t want to possibly ruin the night by allowing her feelings for Spike to get the best of her, to make her do something she’d regret. What if she scared him away? What if they couldn’t have another night like they’d had tonight? Albeit, it had started with a fight, but he’d still stayed even after that. He’d come over and they’d shared a meal, they’d talked a little and she learned some more about him. He spoke about his home and how he was good at carpentry. She’d teased him about his hair. They’d eaten candy like two little kids together and joked with ease. It felt like she was both hanging out with a friend and like she was on a date. While an unknown third sensation whispered about danger and passion, something Buffy couldn’t put her finger on. Something telling her that her time with Spike wasn’t just fun and carefree, but also vibrant and sexual and tempting. It was a heady, perfect combination and Buffy wasn’t sure what would ruin it.

She remembered thinking that this was SO not a date, that his coming to eat with her at her house wasn’t intimate. That he was just supposed to be someone she felt she should trust and could talk to.

Well it sure had turned out to be more, hadn’t it?

Or maybe it hadn’t. Would he kiss her when he found her? Grab her and tickle her until they ended up on the floor with him on top and her on bottom, in that classic movie scene where the guy and the girl were either going to kiss or stare at each other until one of them broke the tension with an awkward backtrack? A part of her wasn’t even positive Spike wanted to kiss her.

She wanted him to. And she hated that she couldn’t summon up enough fear to just jump out from behind the mirror and toss him the Laffy Taffy she still held in her sweaty palms, put an end to this game and diffuse the moment.

She was scared of what might happen, but not scared enough.

Spike trailed almost lazily to the other side of the attic, taking in his surroundings while still keeping his entire focus on Buffy’s heartbeat and his awareness of her position. He looked at some black and white photos hanging on the walls, glanced at a dusty trunk and an old vanity table with crystal bottles lining the surface. He looked a tall coat rack up and down, cleared his throat once just to see if Buffy’s pulse would jump.

It did.

Grinning unashamedly, the man felt very much like he was hunting down a meal. Like he was back in the old days, sniffing out the freshest blood he could get his fangs on. But he had no desire to hurt Buffy, nothing inside of him told him to tear into her throat and drink unless it was the delectable tease of her scent which made Spike want to sample her blood. But sample is all he wanted, no more than a taste. He didn’t want to harm her.

Yet there was an unsettling part of himself. Both the demon and the man seemed to be calling out for something… primal. Something possessive, primitive, protective.

He tried to shove it back but realized the more he tried to ignore it, the more it pushed.

Some part of himself was asking for recognition, something focused on Buffy.

A small noise caught his attention.

Spike twisted his head towards her. The mirror moved just slightly, the glass swinging on its stand for only a moment before all stillness took over once again.

He moved forward, and he knew she was aware because he heard her breathing pick up. He imagined her face flushed, her chest heaving just a little bit beneath that sweater. Christ he wanted to see her. Her breasts lifting up and down against the fabric of a tiny tank top, her small shoulders bare, her skin shiny with a thin layer of sweat from anxiousness.

He moved closer. He imagined her mouth open partway, her lips rosy as she sucked in breaths to try and calm herself when she knew he was approaching. Her hair framing her delicate face, the blonde tousled strands reaching to her shoulders and surrounding a slim throat.

Spike’s whole body responded, and he almost groaned aloud. His form was rigid, his steps measured and his feet felt weighted down with lead. He walked until he was two steps away, the sound of her heartbeat thumping in his ears like a drumbeat. It got louder with every move he made.

Buffy fought for breath, her heart hammering and her teeth biting into the tissue of her bottom lip. She could feel sweat beneath her shirt and suddenly wished she’d worn something lighter. She was too on edge to notice the burn in her lower abdomen, the tingling sensation that she’d yet to have happen to her in… well, ever.

She was preoccupied with her nerves, wondering if she should run again when he finally found her, or if she should stay in place and see what he did. Would he touch her? Grab her arms to pause any thought she might have at bolting. Or would he just jump out? Would he pull her to him? Would he be thinking of this much more innocently than she obviously was? Because if THAT was the case than Buffy was sure she’d have to beat her head against the wall at least-

He seized her arms, pale hands meeting soft wool as he suddenly appeared right in front of her. She hadn’t realized just how tall he was, and though he wasn’t as over towering as many men, given that she was barefoot he looked just about a giant to her. It was so strange, one minute he wasn’t there and the next he was before her, stepping out from the other side of the mirror so quietly and gracefully he might as well have been a ghost.

Blue eyes met her green, his blazed and the black pupils grew enormously as he seemed to focus on her mouth. Then he was kissing her.

It was hard, the first imprint of his lips on hers like a passionate crash that made Buffy slam her eyes shut and arch up. Then slowly, gradually, the movement of his mouth softened and it turned unrushed, tender. He explored her, languorous touches as his lips opened here and there against her own closed ones.

She tasted like heaven. It was the only thing Spike could think of to describe her, the softness, the heat. He’d never had this before. She was exquisite.

Buffy was already standing on her tip toes, her shaky hands moving hesitantly towards his arms. Her fingertips touched him lightly, and he increased pressure on her mouth. His tongue slipped around the seam of her lips, encouraging her to open them. Oh so very slowly she did, the gentle unhurried probing of his tongue feeling wickedly delicious. The cool wetness sent her spiraling until her body was flush against his. Her arms ran up his own as she pulled back for air, his sweet breath hitting against her trembling lips.

Then she dived in again, needing more. A craving started in the pit of her stomach, slowly controlling her whole body as her arms went around his neck and Spike moved his large hands from her shoulders to her ribcage, gently raking his cool palms against the material of her sweater.

Buffy loved the strange coldness he emitted. The man was passionate and it seemed he was both quenching a thirst and feeding a fire inside of her, his cold breath starting to send shivers up her spine, though the temperature had almost nothing to do with it.

She’d never kissed someone like this, where she felt a literal burn beneath her skin until she thought she might burst at the seams. Where she wanted to tear off his shirt and scrape her nails along his chest, have him run his own palms along her belly, soothe the ache that was building there.

Spike wrapped an arm fully around the indent of her waist, hauling her impossibly closer, needing to feel every inch of her. His kisses showed he wanted to consume her whole, though he never moved harsher or faster, but kept it slow. He moved deeply, the tangle of their tongues like silk against water. He inhaled her every breath, felt flames growing inside of him as her delicate touches became surer, as she started to take what she wanted and explore rather than just let him stake claim to her lips.

She was taking all of him, tasting every inch, her tongue dancing along his teeth and swirling with his as his free hand went to the back of her head. His palm ran through her golden hair, and he gripped her so she couldn’t pull away. When she drew back her lips for seconds at a time to breathe, Spike fought for unneeded gulps of air as well, the fire she was creating inside him close to consuming.

Her heat touched his lips again, and Spike idly wondered how he’d ever gone on without her. This sweetness, this heart, this passion that played with his own. The desperation she was showing in sharing this intimacy. He didn’t think he could ever let this go.
Chapter 11: A Little Pressure by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
So this one is a bit longer than normal, i hope you guys enjoy it! Please review!
He pushed her against the back of the mirror, a tiny groan escaping his lips as she let out a small, unintentional mewl. Buffy’s fingers wove into his hair, the candy she’d held was long forgotten and on the floor. She held him to her the same way he was holding her.

Her breathing was ragged, but the kiss grew in heat and speed, and she found she couldn’t inhale at all as their lips stayed connected for much longer. Mouths fused together, she felt everything spinning out of control. Her arms were shaking, her toes barely touched the ground as Spike’s arm held her close and tight, his body pinning hers to the solid back of the mirror.

But it wasn’t quite so solid. Buffy gasped as her lips came away from Spike’s, her body falling backward when the mirror scraped against the floor, finally sliding due to the force Spike and she had pushed against it.

He caught her easily enough, simply pulling her back to him when she was about to slip away. Buffy wasn’t sure if he even realized the mirror had moved and wasn’t just reacting to her leaving him.

She found herself breathing heavily, looking at the black cotton covered chest she was pressed against. Spike was breathing just as hard, his gasps of air tickling her hair as he fought to come back to himself. They were both enveloped in each other’s arms. Buffy’s had come down to hug his waist as he held her with his hand still on the back of her head and her waist wrapped up securely.

The girl chanced a glance up at him through her lashes, turning away just as he looked down.

Buffy felt his eyes on her for a full minute before she finally had her breathing under control and could think again. It took longer to calm down when he was staring at her.

Spike swallowed hard. He didn’t know what to do now. He knew what he wanted to do, his body was screaming at him everything he craved. He wanted to lift her up and carry her downstairs to the nearest bed or soft surface. He wanted to taste her on his tongue, feel her shuddering, kiss every delectable inch of her body, lick and suckle the soft nipples on her breasts as she writhed beneath him. He wanted to bury himself deep inside her heat, feel the tight walls pulsing around his cock as he took possession of her body and marked her as his own. He wanted to sink his fangs into her throat as she climaxed for him, murmuring or screaming out his name. He wanted to know.

He wanted to find the places of her body that were most sensitive, know if she’d like it more with his fingers inside her or his tongue as he ate her out. He wanted to kiss her mouth and feel her lips wrapped around his length, wanted to make love to her body. He wanted to get lost in her. For them to get lost in each other.

But he knew, somehow he knew, that she wasn’t ready for that. Something told him today was not going to be the day when he could hold her and touch her without physical barriers, feel her naked flesh beneath his as they connected in the most intimate and primal of ways.

With a hard and yet quiet gulp, Spike chanced lowering his head and nuzzling his nose into her sweet smelling hair, surrendering to the urge he’d had for the last few minutes. It was like rain and sunshine in one, the scent from the autumn storm mixed in with a feminine shampoo and that little something that was uniquely Buffy. His Buffy.

Spike wasn’t sure how she would react to knowing that he already considered her his, but he was willing to work hard to get her to want to be. He knew she wanted him, felt and scented her desire as she’d kissed him with a fervor matching his own. She burned him alive she did.

Spike nearly felt his heart beat when Buffy’s grip tightened, hugging him closer.

He breathed her in again, loving the feel of her body against his. God she was so small, felt fragile like a baby bird. He didn’t know how he could get this to work. With what he was, what she was. He had no bloody clue.

But Spike was never one to give up easily, not when he saw something he wanted.

><

He felt so right in her arms, like they fit together. She felt safe here, she felt cared for, liked. There was no question that she had feelings for this man, but she didn’t know how she was going to go about them. Especially now.

Buffy exhaled slowly, the whole reality of the moment finally hitting her. It was one thing to spend time with him and look from afar, let her feelings grow as she steadily ignored them. She could do that. She was good at the denial thing, but now it wouldn’t be so easy.

They’d kissed. Not just a peck or a friendly hello on the cheek. It was a full blown make out session, with heat and blood rushing and the proverbial fireworks. She’d never been touched and ignited at the same time. No other guy’s hands had skimmed lightning paths across her skin, through her clothes she might add.

God she didn’t know what to do, but she realized she didn’t want to stop holding him. She didn’t want to let him go. It was attraction, and need, and fire. Feelings. Strong ones. She wasn’t going to run away from this… She just had to keep reminding herself of that resolve.

Or she could get out now before things got any worse, before she fell in deeper.

No. Then she’d be totally alone. Not only did she like Spike, felt tingles along her body when he looked at her just before smashing his mouth against her own, but she needed him. He was the only person who quieted the pain in her life, the sorrow in her heart. She didn’t want to let that go.

But now after the kiss, there was no way simple friendship could just take over again. She couldn’t hide her feelings, she wasn’t wired that way. It was either cut him out completely or make a try for something she was terrified to even think about.

She wanted him. God but she wanted him badly, and the idea of losing him just as a companion whom she could talk to was enough incentive to stop her from running away with her vulnerability and her heart securely encaged.

Buffy hugged him tighter when he nuzzled her hair. She didn’t want to lose any of this.

“Haven’ been breathless in a while,” Spike murmured wryly. “Could snog you all day, love.”

“Snog?” Thank God for funny British words. This would surely break any awkward kissage aftermath. “I assume that means…”

“What we just did.”

“You mean kiss?”

“That is what we just did, innit it?”

“Yes,” she nodded, biting her lip as she looked back down at his chest. Still wrapped up in each other. “We just kissed.”

“We kissed,” he agreed. A moment passed before he couldn’t help but ask, “How do you feel ‘bout that?”

Okay so maybe awkward aftermath was inevitable. “Honestly, I don’t know.”

He shook his head, causing her to look up at him. “Yes, you do.”

Buffy frowned. “If I say I don’t know then-”

“You’re lying,” he interjected. “Tell me what you felt. Don’t act like you’re all confused here, Buffy. I know you’ve got stuff bouncin around in that head f’yours.”

He rarely used her name, and while it sent a shiver up Buffy’s spine, she still felt annoyed by his interrogation. Why MUST she tell him what was going through her mind? It was her mind wasn’t it? “You’re not me. And while maybe YOU have all of your thoughts figured out and alphabetized, not everyone is quite so organized. Give me some time.”

She put her hands on her hips. She was getting defensive which either meant he was right, or dead wrong.

He decided he was right. “You know you feel something here, Buffy, and I wanna know what it is.” Spike spoke clearly, his voice a deep timbre as he pierced her eyes with his own. “I’ll tell you what I’m feelin.”

She glared at him. Why was he pushing her? It wasn’t like she was going to throw him out. True, she’d come very close to running away and closing herself off, but ultimately she’d decided against it. Did he really think she’d still be here talking to him if she wanted to shut him out? “Even if you spill your guts, Spike, it doesn’t mean I’m going to be able to-”

“I want to kiss you again,” he interrupted her once more, hoping to get her to listen and let go, to open up if she realized that she wasn’t alone in anything with him. “I want to kiss you for as long as I possibly can. I want to taste your skin.” He took a step closer.

Okay she was having trouble breathing again. He was getting closer, his gaze no less intense as it flitted over her blushing face. “I wanna hold you against me and feel your breath on my throat, your fingers runnin through my hair just like they were doin not five minutes ago. I want you Buffy, and I don’t just mean your body.”

She gulped inaudibly, her mouth was suddenly dry, and her eyelids felt heavy as she moved her hands to his forearms again. She wasn’t in control of anything. Seriously, her brain wasn’t the thing directing her movements right now.

Though, her brain was kind of mushy at the moment.

“I want to hold you close and watch you sleep,” he bent closer to her neck, breathing in her scent like it was the only thing keeping him alive. Like it was the only aroma he could detect, and basically it was, he was drowning in her. “I want to kiss you when you’re upset, I want to hug you in public and carry you to bed when you’re tired. I want to keep you… close.”

Buffy closed her eyes, fighting with her vulnerability as best she could.

“Very close...”

“I want that, too,” she murmured, all of her pride replaced by courage, though it felt like fear was the heaviest emotion right now. “I- I… When I kissed you, I felt… I don’t know, complete. It was… it was just-…”

Spike brushed her hair with his palm, smoothing it down in an attempt to calm her. Comfort her. “I know. Believe me Goldilocks, I know.”

Buffy’s face was burrowed into his chest, and suddenly she let out a little sound of amusement. Spike’s eyebrow quirked and he frowned down at the head of blonde hair. “What’s so funny?”

She shook her head against him. “‘Goldilocks.’ What IS it with you and nicknames anyway?”

“Like I said before, s’just a thing we Brits do… At least I do. And some f’the nicks just tend to fit you well.”

She pulled her face away from his T-shirt then, looking up into his eyes with a soft smile. He was glad to see some tease in her eyes, signaling that she was no longer so upset. “And ‘Goldilocks’ fits me?”

Spike smiled down at her, his fingers running through her hair. She seemed to lean into his touch without realizing it, and her face relaxed. He nodded. “I’d say so.”

“What other names do you think ‘fit me’?”

He frowned for a moment, then smirked. “Well... I’ve got one other. Though m’not sure you’ll like it.”

“Okay spill, I wanna know what it is.”

“Alright then…” He sighed. “‘Kitten’ does always come to mind when thinkin f’you.”

Buffy made a funny face, her nose scrunching even as her smile turned into a full-fledged grin. “‘Kitten?’ Really? How come?”

Spike shrugged a little sheepishly. “Don’t know. You just remind me of one, I guess. The way you always curl up on that couch at the library for instance,” he suggested, with a swirl of his finger imitating her supposed ‘curling up’. “You just look…” He laughed shortly. “Don’t know, ‘kitten’ just sort’ve fits you s’all.”

A beat.

“How come you never called me it before, then?”

He looked away from her, staring off into the shadowy attic. “It’s uh… It’s sort of a personal nick, love. Something I’d call someone who’s… who’s more ‘an just a friend. Wasn’ sure you’d…”

A long moment of silence filled the space, and finally Spike dared looking back at Buffy. She was chewing on her lip, and Christ but he wanted to nibble it for her. He wondered what she was going to say to his admission, if she said anything. Would she let it go? Scoff? Go back on what she’d said about wanting what he wanted and tell him to leave? He was terrified, and it unsettled him how much he wanted to hear her say-

“You can call me that.”

Spike blinked.

Buffy tried to pretend she didn’t notice the expression of sudden wonder on his face, her cheeks were hot and she was looking down. Her fingers came up to play with an invisible piece of lint on his cotton T and she swallowed to try and moisten her mouth. God she wished he would just say something.

Instead he leaned down and left an unexpected kiss on her temple, and she felt a smile against her skin.

The abrupt noise of a cuckoo clock in the corner sounding the hour broke the atmosphere. Tension slowly dissipated, and Spike and Buffy separated from each other’s arms, but they remained close.

The Brit glared at the clock before he started looking around the attic, and Buffy watched him as he seemed to get this curious look on his face. She stood up on her tippy toes to pull a string and the attic was immersed in light. “You can look around if you want. This place is full of cool old stuff.”

Spike glanced sardonically up at the light bulb above his head and smiled before walking towards a wardrobe. “What kinda stuff?”

Buffy frowned a little when she caught the look he gave the light. What, did he think he didn’t need it or something? Could he see in the dark?

With an inner eye roll Buffy shrugged it off and moved closer to her… her what? What was he to her now?

Oh wow she SO did not want to go down that road right now.

“Lots of things. Random pictures, some old clothes, glassware. Lots of… stuff,” she answered, and moved closer to Spike as he opened the old wardrobe.

He pulled out a dress and held it up to examine. Then he heard Buffy’s breath catch, and Spike looked up to see her staring at the dress with clear longing on her face.

He gently folded the garment over his arm. “You ever try it on, pet?”

Buffy shook her head but she wasn’t really aware that she did. How had she missed that dress before? It was beautiful. Long and creamy white. Encased in plastic and made out of a soft looking chiffon. The neckline was thick and drapey, and a high belt of white silk was wrapped around the bodice. The skirt looked like an A-line style that turned freely flowing and delicate as it met the floor. When Spike turned the garment over it was revealed that the drapery in the front went completely around and hung low, stopping to expose the wearer’s upper back.

A zipper sounded.

Buffy’s eyes shot up to Spike’s as he started opening the plastic garment bag, obviously planning to take the dress out.

Buffy gasped and moved forward quickly, putting her hands on his wrists. “What are you doing?”

“Takin it out so you can try it on,” he said matter-of-factly.

Buffy shook her head again. “No. You can’t, it has to be my grandmother’s, I don’t want to wreck it.”

Spike just looked at her. “Will she care if you try it on?”

“W-Well… I don’t think so, but-”

“Then you’re tryin it on.” He unzipped the bag fully, carefully extracting the delicate dress. “It looks like it’ll fit you, love.”

She looked down, glancing unintentionally at the beautiful neckline. “I can’t.”

“Why not?”

She didn’t respond.

He rolled his eyes. “Do you REALLY think anything’s gonna happen to it, Buffy?”

She chewed her lip, clenching her hands at her sides to avoid reaching out to touch the fabric of the white chiffon. “Spike, w-what if-”

“What if what?”

She sighed. She was nervous to try it on in front of him, that’s what. She was nervous about what he would think.

She wanted to try the dress on, but what if it looked terrible? What if it didn’t fit or- God forbid -what if she damaged it. Broke the zipper or tore the skirt? How could she explain that to Grams?

“Buffy.”

She looked up at him and met his eyes. His gaze was gentle, probing, encouraging. He smiled slightly and pushed the dress towards her.

Buffy sighed and took the garment into her hands, holding it protectively against her chest as she looked around the attic.

“There,” he pointed to an old folding screen a few feet away. There was a hole in one panel to the far left, but other than that and some water stains, the screen was fine and would give Buffy privacy to change. “You can try it on behind there.”

She nodded and walked away from him, ducking behind the screen only to poke her head out a second later. “Keep your eyes closed ‘til I tell you to open them,” she said sternly.

Spike rolled said eyes. “Fine.”

Buffy nodded and then went back behind the screen.

><

Spike clenched his jaw when he heard the sounds of rustling fabric. It was so low that he wouldn’t have caught any sound at all if he weren’t a vampire.

But he was, and the quiet noise of clothes dragging across skin just added to the difficulty he had with holding onto control. Buffy was stripping not fifteen feet away from him, and it was torture.

He walked over to a three legged table, examining it to try and curb his disobedient thoughts. The wood was dark mahogany and the surface, though coated in dust, was smooth and cool to the touch. It looked like a coffee table, but it was a little tall. There was a bookcase not far away hiding in a corner. It was bare, the bottom shelf falling off and the paint chipping.

Spike was mentally assessing what he could do to fix the thing when he heard a zipper.

He gritted his teeth.

All the images he’d just been about to get a hold on danced through his brain, little fantasies starting up that would no doubt demand to be finished later. He saw Buffy with her back bare, the slender curve of her spine and the smoothness of her naked skin tempting his fingers. Her round bottom raised in the air, waiting for his touch. His girl laid out on his bed, her chest heaving and the little pink rosebuds on her chest teasing him until he bent down for a taste.

Spike groaned.

Damned torturous imagination.

Why had he told her to try the bloody dress on?

A throat clearing from behind him caught his attention and he turned around.

*Bloody hell.* That’s why.

She’d snuck up on him, and evidently made it to the mirror before Spike could even think to look behind him. Now Buffy stood in front of the aged foggy glass with a light blush on her cheeks.

She looked like an angel. The dress didn’t just fit her perfectly, but looked like it was made for her. The soft white offset the strawberry blonde highlights in her hair, her green eyes popped vibrantly and the fabric flowed around her legs like water. She glanced down, holding out the ends of the skirt as she turned to reveal her half bare back to his eyes. The draped material hung low and exposed smooth skin. The dress fit exquisitely around every curve, and Buffy looked like what Spike would have imagined a magical fairy princess to look like back when he was a little boy.

“Spike? What do you think?”

He couldn’t even blink, let alone think. His eyes were riveted on her. He’d never seen someone as stunning. She was angelic. The dress made her look delicate and innocent, beautiful.

“Spike?” She was frowning, nerves all over her face as she took a double take in the mirror.

Silly chit, didn’t she know she was breathtaking?

“You look beautiful, love.” No, that was NOT his bleeding voice choking on the last word.

Her teeth showed luminously and she looked down at the gown again. Spike could’ve sworn his heart started beating.

*I have to have her.*

He smiled when she grinned at him, quickly twirling around in the dress like a little girl.

“Thank you,” she said to his earlier compliment. “You know I think this might have been my great aunt’s wedding dress, actually.”

Spike tilted his head, his eyes still fixed on her as she moved to-and-fro in front of the mirror. “Yeah?”

She nodded. “Yeah. My Grams’ sister, Mary. I never met her before she died, but Grams showed me some pictures and I think I saw her wearing this.”

“Don’ think it could’ve looked this good on anyone else to tell ya the truth, love.”

She met his stare.

Spike raked his eyes over her, a touch of both awe and lust in his gaze. “You’re bloody gorgeous.”

She blushed from head to toe, and Spike grinned at the sight.

“Thanks… I just wish I could wear it someplace.”

Spike’s brows knit together. “M’sure your Grams wouldn’t mind you borrowin it.”

“No it’s not that,” she replied. “I just really have nowhere to wear it.”

Spike took a couple of steps forward, reaching out to finger the delicate material of the gown. He didn’t notice Buffy’s intake of breath at his approach. “Looks like your Grams kept it in good shape all these years. I’d wager you could find someplace ta wear it.”

Buffy pressed her lips together. “Maybe.” She shrugged and then sighed, planning to get out of this garment and stop her forlorn thoughts. Before she could walk back behind the folding screen Spike caught her hand.

She gave him a questioning look in response and he pulled her closer, leaving a tender kiss on her temple before squeezing her warm fingers in his cold ones. “You’ll get to wear it someday, pet. Count on it.”

Pulling away and trying not to let her emotions show, her heartbeat racing, Buffy looked up at him. She didn’t smile, and she didn’t say anything, but her expression was both grateful and hopeful, warm.

Spike let her walk over to the screen to get changed, all the while wondering how he might be able to make it so she could wear that dress.

><

When Buffy came back out from behind the folding screen she saw Spike sitting on the floor a few feet away. He was cross-legged and looking over something. She walked to the wardrobe from where the dress had been taken and started putting it back inside its plastic garment bag before she asked him what he was looking at.

“Just some photos, love.” He turned to face her, a few random pictures in his hands. “Hope that’s alright?”

Buffy’s heart plummeted.

He couldn’t be looking at… No. Not the pictures.

She froze, her hand stilled over the just re-hung dress inside the wardrobe.

“These of you an your mum, pet?”

Buffy swallowed, a severe need to run away from the attic started to consume her at a pace that was almost as frightening as the past she fought so hard to ignore. The pictures were taunting, hateful, bitter memories that had the power to make her insides virtually collapse. They’d broken her all over again not a week ago.

She didn’t want to go near them.

“Buffy?”

She didn’t answer. How could she? Buffy’s chest was burning, and her eyes were rimmed with thin layers of tears just ready to shatter like glass against her cheeks. The past and all she tried so hard to hide from was not five feet away, sitting in an unmarked box and in the hands of a man she’d come to trust. Spike wasn’t supposed to be near her history like this.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, having felt the shift in the air. The pressure pushed darkly against his body, Spike felt unease enfold them both like a thin cloak. He was frowning, his face a canvas of concern as he stared at Buffy’s. She reminded him of a scared deer ready to run from a predator. What had happened in between the space of a second? Her heartbeat was rapid beneath her chest, and she gulped before practically whispering, “Can you put those away.”

It wasn’t a question, but more of a command. Spike squinted, his mind spinning to try and figure out what… Wait.

Instinctively he looked to the cardboard box brimming with pictures, and then he realized something. It was like the urgent sound of a bell going off. Small facts came back to him, the locket Buffy wore, she told him she’d moved in with her grandmother, she never spoke of any other family asides from telling him that the necklace she always had on was once her mother’s… The darkening of her light… Could these pictures get her to open up?

Spike decided to try something.

He didn’t know how well this would work, but…

She heard him stand, and the almost indiscernible brush of photographs between his fingers.

She hadn’t moved once, and before Buffy realized it he was right next to her with an old picture in his left hand. He put an arm around her waist.

He bent his head a little and looked into her eyes. There were shimmering tears there, ready to pour, and he felt a protective instinct overwhelm him.

He held the picture out to her as if displaying a crystal object to a young child who would have to be delicate with it. Except in this case, Spike felt the delicate object wasn’t the photograph.

“This your mum?” he asked.

He hated the choking noise he didn’t hear. Buffy made a movement with her throat that seemed to require a heartbreaking sound attached, but there was none. Just absolute silence.

It was the coldest quiet he’d ever heard.

Spike hated himself for pushing her, but he needed to get through. Buffy couldn’t let go of anything without feeling a little pain… or a lot; but he would be there to hold her. Maybe she just needed to realize that.

He looked back down at the picture. It had a lovely woman who looked to be in her late twenties, holding up a smiling little girl with the cutest nose Spike could pinpoint anywhere. That was Buffy when she was about three he’d guess, and he presumed the woman holding her was her mother. They looked alike, Buffy’s mum was beautiful just like her daughter, and they had the same smile. Spike just wished Buffy would answer his question.

“She’s wearin’ the locket you’ve got ‘round your neck,” he stated, remembering when she’d told him it belonged to her mother. He knew very well his hunch was right, but he wanted Buffy to tell him.

Though she looked like if she uttered a single word she’d break.

Spike swore his chest clenched when Buffy nodded her head without blinking or even looking down at the photograph.

But then she did, and an inaudible breath was taken in as a tear slipped down her cheek.

Spike didn’t want to, but he spoke again anyway. He knew why now. God he knew so much. A tiny guess had turned into full blown truth in the space of a few hours, and now he knew- he KNEW –why Buffy was always closed off. Why she was darkened by pain, the pain lie right here in his hands. Something happened to her family, at least definitely, to her mother. So he spoke again, as much as he loathed to hurt Buffy. “What happened to her?”

Her knees gave out. Spike fell with her only because he needed to catch her, and then he lowered them both down to the dusty ground. Her throat, once dry and tight, now choked her completely and made the most horrible sounds she’d believed she’d ever made. Her tears finally cascaded down her cheeks, past her chin, soaking the material of Spike’s shirt where her face was burrowed.

His arms wrapped around her protectively, holding her face against him as she sobbed. Her cries were muffled but strong, he felt the vibrations of them with every shake of her body. She sounded like a broken child and she wept without pause, Spike was sure, for everything she hadn’t yet dared to cry for. She was clutching him so tight and pinching the material of his shirt that he was sure she’d rip it. He only held tighter.

><

They sat like that for who knew how long. Buffy cried, she sobbed and coughed and sniffled pathetically and hated herself for every second of it. She loathed crying and had no right to unload all of this off on Spike. She didn’t.

But then he told her the opposite.

He shushed her, he sat on the old creaky wooden floor of her Grams’ attic and he held her tightly, anything or one that dared to threaten her at that moment was sure to feel Spike’s wrath. He looked into her eyes when the shuddering, breath stealing sobs had weakened to a steady leak of tears. He made her talk to him, just as he made her accept his comfort.

She’d relayed the story. Her whole life story. Her past, the bitter and not at all sweet memories because they were gone spilled forth on her tongue, and the shards of glass she felt piercing her heart were slowly removed by Spike’s hand. He listened.

She went into a detailed retelling of her years, how she’d lived in San Francisco her whole life, until now, with her mother and grandfather. How her dad had died when she was little, and after was when her grandpa had come to live with Buffy and Joyce. To help raise the little one, as well as comfort his grieving daughter.

How the death of Hank Summers had affected everyone. Buffy being so young at the time only had a handful of memories of her dad, but she still missed him. She told Spike about the trips that were made a couple of times to Grams’ when she was younger. Her life was spelled out for him.

Her school, her friends, how she’d been a popular cheerleader who had a secret penchant for reading. How it all had changed after the fire this summer following graduation.

“Grams flew out to California faster than a bat out a hell the second I called her.” She murmured between shaky breaths and tears, Spike holding her all the while. She told him about calling her beloved grandmother right after the fire, and how quickly the woman had gotten to San Francisco.

Buffy told him she’d lost her family all in one night, due to old wiring in a beautiful house that was probably once a speakeasy back in the twenties. Her home. A place that had been passed down through generations. Some uncle or cousin on her father’s side had bought the place years ago, and it had stayed in the family ever since.

Her family home was gone now, and with it her mom and Papa.

After Grams got to California, she’d grabbed the bull by the horns, taking care of everything. She’d grieved with Buffy, she’d made the funeral arrangements, and she’d opened up her home to her granddaughter immediately.

A month and a half was all it took for Grams to help Buffy handle everything that needed tending to after the fire. From money issues to nursing a loved one’s heartache as best she could.

The wills had left Buffy with everything, but “everything” consisted of a burnt down house that held a recent home equity loan, and not much money from either of her deceased guardians.

Buffy had been a wreck, barely able to hold herself up standing let alone try and understand what one did after such an incident. She didn't know how to deal with banks, insurance companies, setting up services for family to say goodbye- it was all daunting and Grams had been there to help her through it.

After the insurance company had finally come through and all else was taken care of, Buffy had insisted Grams go back to Alabama a week before she did. The girl had claimed she needed to say goodbye to friends and that she could take a bus down there on her own.

It wasn't easy to convince the older woman, but Buffy finally succeeded in getting her to agree.

“When Grams went back home, I used the time alone to just… exist, really,” she confessed to Spike, her voice quiet.

Her popularity had slowly diminished following graduation. And after the fire, all of those people who had once followed her around the school hallways, seemed to stop caring about her.

None of her friends came to the services, not even the girls she'd been with when she'd gotten the phone call that awful night.

And with each word, with every heart wrenching memory told and each breath used to relay her story and the recent past, Buffy grew more determined to get everything out. She was in so much pain it was amazing she could even talk, but finally telling someone and explaining her history was draining her of both energy and a feeling she couldn’t describe. Her tears felt like they were drying, she wasn’t just controlling them, but it felt like they were actually leaving. At least for a little while.

She was long heartbroken and her cheeks were raw, but she didn’t feel alone.

And Spike knew exactly what she was going through. In some twisted way she couldn’t understand. He said everything she never would have guessed she wanted to hear, yet after hearing it, couldn’t imagine having not. He held her through her whole story, through all the breakdowns in the middle where she cried for minutes at a time before being able to speak again. He shushed her, even kissed her lips once to try and comfort her. He watched over her like his life depended on it, like he was begging her for a smile in the midst of all this darkness. Like his happiness could only come if hers did, too.

Little did Buffy know that that was very true.
End Notes:
please let me know if i described Buffy's story well, i want to make sure I described it clearly for you while still seeming like she was telling it to Spike too.

And yes, kitten is my favorite nickname so it'll be used =)

thanks for reading! *hugs*
Chapter 12: Simplicity is Nonexistent by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone, here's number 12! It's a little long, I hope you like it!
She was walking him out around eleven. After everything up in the attic, Buffy found herself beyond just exhaustion, and Spike insisted she get some rest.

As they stood at the open doorway now, not quite sure how to end the night, only one thing was certain in both of their minds: They were going to see each other again soon.

“I only wonder what mischief my grandmother has gotten herself into.”

Spike turned and looked at Buffy, there was a smudge of mascara along the corner of one of her eyes and she was tired and drained. All of her color was seemingly focused around her eyes instead of in her cheeks.

“M’sure she’s fine,” he replied. "I think the little boxer lady can take care of herself."

Buffy made a sound that was a bit like a laugh but not quite. A beat of silence passed, and Spike knew she was about to say something important.

He’d come to notice her habits and personal tells. Like the natural pattern of her breathing, the reasons why and when she bit her lip, the slight stiffening of her shoulders whenever something uncomfortable or painful arose, and the telltale sign of her hard swallows when she was about to say something she didn’t particularly want to.

“Thank you... for tonight,” she murmured, a gap in between the four words and her eyes downcast. Buffy’s arms were crossed over her chest and she was a veritable statue of control and self preservation.

He wanted to tell her she didn't need to thank him, but refrained. He knew that he'd always be near when she wanted him, and times when she wouldn't, but he didn't need to admit that to himself just yet. “You haven' told anyone... Have you," he stated rather emotionlessly. "Not even your Grams?” His tone was gentle and almost too quiet, but plain. Buffy didn't have to know he was still trying to keep himself from hauling her into his arms, the past couple of hours taking their toll on him as well. He found it unsettling how much it bothered him to watch her cry.

A part of Spike shriveled in self disgust. He knew she'd needed it, but he really didn't like the fact that he was the one who'd pushed her so far. And he hated knowing he'd most likely have to do it again in the future.

She shook her head at his question. “No. She… She’s always there for me but, I just-” Buffy broke off and looked down, then at him. Weary green eyes that were crystalline in the moonlight stared into his, and Spike swallowed. “It’s just easier to deal on my own. I don’t have to worry her then.”

He looked at her dubiously all of a sudden, standing less than a foot away he could reach out and touch her. He wanted to hug her, brush a hand down her hair in a show of comfort, but he couldn’t. Not just yet. He was afraid she would pull away.

So instead he said, “I think your grandmum can handle it, love. She cares 'bout you…” When she didn’t respond he started again. “Maybe you should give her a chance-”

“No.” Her voice was firm, her tone leaving no room for argument. “I don’t want to hurt her. She-… She went through the loss too. She doesn’t need me crying on her shoulder. I have to be strong.”

Spike did take a step closer then, something determined flashing in his eyes that Buffy missed. “Look at me,” he said, and her eyes met concerned blue as Spike visibly tried to keep himself in check. He was so tired of knowing that this girl couldn’t let herself grieve. “You don’t always have to be strong, Buffy.”

The words sounded foreign to her ears, like something uttered in a different language, but she listened intently anyway.

“Tonight, everything you-…" The man pursed his lips. "You know that you can talk to me. And actually talking to someone never means that you’re weak, Buffy. Maybe you don’ want ta discuss things with yer Grams, but I think you can. She'd handle it.” Spike broke eye contact and looked down. He grasped her hand in his, his next words laced with resolve and certainty. “But either way, m’here. I’ll never break under a little strain, you can lay it all on me.”

She swallowed, and just barely choked out, "It's hard."

Spike looked into her eyes and she had to focus on not crying again.

“I’ll be here.”

God, Buffy hoped so, because as much as it scared the crap out of her, she was starting to believe him.

Still she rushed to say, "I don't want you to think that-" stopping and taking a breath before gesturing with her hands. Buffy didn't know how to say it. She just didn't want him to think she was keeping him around as a personal shrink or something. "I'm not just using you. I-I'm not just- keeping you around because-!"

His grip on her hand tightened, "I know, Buffy."

Spike's lips came down to touch her forehead. “I know. But if you're hurtin, and ya find someone that’ll listen… it usually makes things a bit easier, s’what I’m figurin.”

Her skin tingled where he rested, and Buffy squeezed her eyes shut tight.

Her hands moved up his arms where she gripped leather, and her eyes remained closed even as Spike hugged her. She let him hold her, wondering why the only person in the world she would accept comfort from was Spike. Why was he the one person she felt it might just be okay to let in?

To be vulnerable with?

There was no answer, other than the soft pressure of his lips on hers. The calming taste of his mouth and the dangerously enticing flavor of the tip of his tongue.

She opened for him and he sampled the shallow depth, teasing and barely taking what she offered. It was soft and wet, tender. Kind and reassuring. His free hand came to rest at the nape of her neck where his thumb brushed warmly. He helped to ground her. They moved like that for a time, gently kissing with passion both urging them to do more and yet keeping them in check as what was experienced seemed to be just right.

Buffy delicately tasted Spike’s tongue and mouth, murmuring when he pulled her closer to him.

When they parted, Buffy was breathing heavily and too dazed to wonder why Spike wasn’t. He left a few last chaste kisses on her lips before reluctantly pulling away, her whole body was soft and welcoming while his was rigid and practically magnetized to the woman. He wanted to stay and do things with her that would send his pulse back to beating, but he couldn’t. Not yet.

And not tonight, when grief was too present and might taint anything else they shared. When comfort and escape might be the major reasons behind a coupling Spike wanted- needed –to mean more. He would not allow pain to be between them when he had her.

And he would have her; he already cared too much to even consider leaving. A part of him knew it, and that part was still arguing with the other part of himself that was just begrudgingly starting to believe it.

Stepping onto the damp grass, Spike smiled warmly up at the flushed girl and bid her goodnight.

With a light breeze cooling the air, he disappeared into the shadows. If there had been a fog, Buffy probably wouldn’t have even seen which way he’d gone. The man practically vanished into the night.

With an affectionate feeling amidst the tiring emptiness this day had brought her, she thought absently on the conflicting sensations within. She was sated, and relieved and hurting and then just plain stripped; and affection still stood tall with all the other skyscrapers of emotion. She was a mess, but a controlled one at that.

With a sigh and one last look at the moonlit sky, Buffy went inside, preparing to get ready for bed and await Grams’ arrival back. She was sure someone from town would walk the older woman home, but still wanted to be awake when her grandmother got in.

><

As Spike walked home he internally battled over thoughts that he’d refused to think about while with Buffy. Thoughts even HE knew were too premature to dwell on. Oh, but he was dwelling. He was dwelling big time.

She was human. Spike had pretty much resigned himself to never getting close to anyone else in his unlife again, not after losing his family years before. He never found people worth the risk.

Except now.

The Brit shook his head, muttering some angry nonsense even he wasn’t sure of the meaning.

He’d shag a dame here or there over the years, being a physical being and needing sex like he needed violence. Spike had no problem with one night stands, and even shared a bed with a few regulars on occasion. It was hollow and simply gratification, nothing more.

He’d never been emotionally shut off, no matter how hard he tried, but nobody had charged him enough to get him to realize it.

Spike believed he was hardened enough to ignore the inner poet inside him that still lived in some way or another. The thing called out for love. Companionship. Another person to share things with.

His biting loneliness had become his friend over the years, a resented hateful presence used to remind Spike everyday not to get close to anyone. It was like being the subject of a knife thrower, and every blade hitting close to your skin was a warning not to move, or you’d bleed.

Buffy just came along, all fascinating brush-off turned to sweet smiles that were blinding. Her laughter was like music. Her pain like visual acid.

When the pain had become apparent to him, when he’d seen she was hiding something, Spike hadn’t been able to stop himself from getting closer. It bothered him that she hurt, and yet it still didn’t matter. He would’ve been enchanted by her just the same even if she was completely devoid of grief.

He’d never met anyone like her before.

He was buggered.

Spike ran a hand through his hair and lit up a cigarette.

It was too late to think of leaving, he couldn’t, and he didn’t want to.

That was the main point here, right? He didn’t even WANT to want to leave her now. He was in too deep. That part of himself that still rebelled at the idea of getting close to Buffy, let alone believing that he already was, had been squashed a few minutes ago. It didn't take too bloody long, really.

And Spike promised to be there for her. He meant it, too. No way was he going to abandon this girl.

Christ, he had no clue what was to happen if he continued down this road, all he knew was that she was under his skin, and it didn’t look like she was leaving anytime soon.

She was a bloody human. He shouldn’t have even started this, or CARED for that matter! Fucking hell, what was wrong with him? Getting too close, to someone who had a measured lifespan, who was susceptible to all the things that went bump in the night like him? She could go out for a walk and be pulled to the side and drained in a blink by any random vamp who walked along and got peckish.

Spike’s stomach lurched.

No. No bloody way was he was going to let anyone or thing lay a hand on her. She wouldn’t be hurt, he’d see to it. He’d fucking guard her and stalk her at night if that’s what it took.

Angrily throwing his cigarette to the ground, Spike stomped it out before fishing out another.

It didn’t matter that the area of MayBell was pretty lacking in the undead, thanks to Spike’s insistent nature that urged him to take part in some sort of violence, and his edginess that only worsened it. Fortunately for the town of MayBell, he was edgy quiet often lately.

The place was safer than most, and Spike usually staked a vamp any time he really felt like killing something. Not many demons even came to town anymore because they knew that if Spike wanted to, he would kill them just for the fun of it. However, some still did, either because they didn’t care about him or they wanted to take on the challenge.

He knew the gossip of his unorthodox hunting ways had spread through the demon world because he went to demon bars often enough to still get an earful of it. Of course, no one really bothered him because whenever someone did, they’d find themselves on the sharp end of a stake or an axe. The smart ones just avoided Spike’s territory. If you didn’t go within walking distance of his place at night, then he likely wasn’t going to kill you. It was well known. He was, after all, the infamous William the Bloody, and very few dared test him. No one even knew that he’d gone off the live stuff, they just thought he had a fondness for killing, whether it be humans or the undead.

Now he would just have to be sure to be extra merciless on his occasional… patrols.

God, he hated to call them that. They weren’t done for the good of mankind, he just wanted a little bloodshed. Of course, now though, he supposed they would be for a less selfish reason. He had something important to protect, and he would make sure no one touched Buffy. He’d stake himself before he let anyone hurt her.

It was a little surreal sometimes, being a vampire who after years of human destruction and mayhem across Europe, now only hunted other demons. He’d been this way for years, and for some of those years he’d kept his dirty “white-hat” ways concealed. It wasn’t long though until he’d stopped caring who might come after him because they viewed him as a traitor, therefore having an excuse to try and take on the Slayer of Slayers, and earning themselves a title.

Spike had taken on many enemies over the years, and slaughtered all of them.

Now no one fucked with him. He’d done his evil back in Europe when he had lived with his sire and their vampire "family" (more of a nest, really). After that, and killing two slayers only ten years apart from each other, Spike had earned many titles and nicknames. He was a veritable legend with facts of disturbing massacres and evil doings that were still remembered to this day, as fresh as a spring flower. Everyone who knew about him saw him as a killing machine, one who wasn’t prejudice against murdering those of his own making.

The only thing his fellow demons didn’t know about him (asides from the fact that he bagged it) was what had changed after he’d left that overpopulated vampire nest. One day he was Spike, William the Bloody, the Big Bad and Slayer of Slayers. Always up for a good brawl. The next? He was gone. Disappeared. Off the map. A few vamps that might still be around could probably attest to the rumors that half drained bodies of bastards and criminals had been found near Spike’s home for many years after his mysterious departure.

Little did they know that he’d also been knocking off demons and vampires that whole time, sparsely and only when he really needed to kill something. Otherwise he laid low, kept to himself and stayed pretty much invisible. He still basically did that.

Then he came around again, no longer just in the shadows, and everyone thought that he’d gone from human massacre machine, to just massacre machine. The fellow undead never spotted him snacking on people and then reluctantly letting them go. If one did, Spike offed them.

Sometimes, after turning partly tame, he had killed a human here or there by accident, and without remorse; but he only ever played catch and release with real pieces of shit that society would only lock up anyways. So the losses weren't exactly great.

And he wouldn’t talk about the people he had saved from the worthless ones. He was no better than the scoundrels, just lacking a soul.

Spike couldn’t kill anyone who was innocent, and asides from the occasional (and accidental) criminal-waste snack, he only murdered evil things that went bump in the night. Those had been his rules for many years now. It used to be annoying, now it was just everyday unlife.

There were a lot of things Spike had adjusted to over time, a lot of things that had happened, and a lot of things that had stopped happening. Being followed was something that had stopped.

“We’re a bit old to be playin hide n’ seek here,” he called out.

He wasn’t even a hundred feet away from the front door of his house, and he’d sensed the presence of a vampire minutes before. He'd wanted to see if the stranger would show themselves before he hunted him or her down with a stake, but then realized they weren’t just passing by, but following him.

He hadn’t been followed since he’d lived back in Europe, and though Spike was still well known here, not nearly as many American demons knew who he was or the fact that he was even living in MayBell. After leaving the continent his reputation had tagged along, but no one really knew he was in the area unless he showed his face, and then the news never seemed to travel farther than he did.

So being stalked? Yeah, it hadn’t happened in a long bloody time.

“Ya might wanna show your face 'fore I carve it off.” He pulled his Zippo up to light the cigarette dangling from his lips, his posture nonchalant and secure in the knowledge of over a century of experience.

“Whoever you are…” he called again, pulling the cig from his mouth as he put his lighter away. Spike looked to the bushes. “Step on up.”

The night, filled by quiet noises and the soft wind of an October breeze, suddenly echoed with the crunch of dry leaves as a woman stepped out into the clearing.

No, not woman. Vampire. Spike could clearly see her contorted fanged expression in the dark. Her short brown hair was wispy and matched the color of her worn jacket. Jeans with holes at the knees and a plain grey shirt covered a slim, tall frame. The female’s feminine build betrayed nothing of the power that Spike knew resided in her undead bones, and the grace with which she stepped was shaky with either nerves or anger or both as she approached him. There was clear hatred in her yellow eyes, something Spike was used to seeing, but there was more added to this one’s emotion. She didn’t just look at him like he was what stood in her way to earning a reputation, but rather like she truly wanted him to suffer. Like she really wanted to feel his blood drip through her fingers.

And there was something barely familiar about her scent… Had he met her before?

“What’s yer name, pet?” A mocking note was put on the last word, and Spike narrowed his eyes when she growled lowly. She was standing about twenty feet away from him, and the chit looked ready to pounce for his throat.

She acquired an abrupt confident air, and a long fingered hand dropped onto one bent hip. Her stance was almost cocky as she dropped the threatening mountain lion look. “The killer never bothers to learn about their victim’s family ahead of time…” She said the words in a considering yet lazy tone, like she was contemplating the subject with halfhearted interest. “I always found that rather sloppy, and I’d– personally, anyways -expect more from the Slayer of Slayers.”

Spike’s ears pricked but he remained calm, his hands were itching to just grab one of the sticks he saw near his feet and plunge it through her heart. Except he needed know that this broad actually meant to come after him. She sure as hell looked like she hated his guts, but he wanted to make sure her desire to see him dust was a solitary wish. He didn’t need to kill this vamp only to be ambushed by her lackeys (or boss, for that matter) later on. He might be able to get some information out of the bint.

“Yeah?” Spike drawled. “Killed many victims f’your own, have you?”

Her eyes blazed for half a second and Spike saw a weakness. This one didn’t have quite as good a control over herself as she thought she did.

However, she did seem to want to tear into his chest and rip his unbeating heart out with only her fingers as the surgical instruments, and she was doing a good job at keeping a safe distance away from him. That was smart of her.

“I only kill humans,” she said, her tone deceivingly quiet when he could tell all she wanted to do was roar. “I don’t love destruction so much that I dare STAKE a fellow demon, just to watch his dust glitter in the air.”

Spike snorted and took a puff of his cigarette. “Real noble, that is.”

She snarled, her teeth showing. “I have self control, something you obviously haven’t learned.” The bright flash in her demon eyes had Spike tilting his head in consideration.

Right. He was the bloody king of self control when it came to maiming and brutality. Patience? Now that was another thing.

“Yeah well, soulless demon an all here, love,” he said, allowing her to believe what she wanted. He dropped his half finished fag and crushed it beneath his boot. “Don’t really give a damn 'bout self control.”

He noticed her get a hasty hold on her temper, and in less than two seconds she was holding up that self assured mask again.

“So, William,” the female drawled his name on a sarcastic note, and against his will, Spike’s fist clenched at his side. He wasn’t really angered but it always was irritating when someone said his given name like that. He didn’t understand why, but it had always seemed to be immediately known to anyone around that he had once been ‘William’, a gentlemanly poncy poet. Spike’s enemies loved to remind him of that.

“How long has it been since you went hunting, to quench your animalistic bloodlust?”

She was so damn condescending when she said it that Spike’s irritation flared again. Annoying bint.

He answered her anyway. “Last night.”

“Planning on going out again?”

He puffed out a silent laugh and eyed her from head to toe. Spike made his stare lustful, though he really didn’t see all that much admirable about the woman, he simply wanted to piss her off.

Her eyes blazed again and Spike had to bite the insides of his cheeks to keep from smiling. “Yeah. Though... I think I might just sate my ‘animalistic bloodlust’ by killing you first.”

He made his move, but as he blurred forth to charge her and his face changed, Spike suddenly found himself pinned beneath a net.

Yes, an actual net. Like one of those heavy, thick roped bloody things used for hunting or holding enormous amounts of flopping fish.

He would have barely been slowed down by it, but a thick layer of dark magick rested within the fibers, and prohibited any movement beneath. All of his limbs were frozen. He fell onto his stiff back as the weighty, choking power in the ropes propelled him down, and Spike looked up at a smirking cunning bitch.

“Bloody hell,” he exclaimed in a mutter. His lips still worked, thank the Powers for that; though he really didn’t know how much it might help him.

“Little thing I picked up from a voodoo shop in New Orleans.” She stepped over him with cruelty dancing in her eyes. Spike wasn’t sure she wouldn’t torture him if she had the time.

“You see…” she said sweetly, the syllable of each word ringing with malevolent promise. “I was making my way from Arizona to meet up with my brother. Imagine my shock,” she stopped to press a foot down onto Spike’s stomach, and she pressed.

His lips pursed to keep his groan lodged in his throat, where it belonged.

“when I felt him DIE on me.” Her eyes blazed again, but this time the anger and hatred remained. She did not stop her rage from showing, but moved her shoe up to Spike’s ribs and pushed until she heard a crack.

“Fuck!” He couldn’t help that one.

She smiled, nothing but pure malice on her face as her voice dropped to a growling whisper. “Do you know how it feels when the only family you have left gets taken away from you?"

He did know, but saying so was out of the question. Her voice rose. "To FEEL them disappear, and you wake up with their screamed lodged in your throat?!”

Spike glared at her, and yet he almost felt a pang of pity.

Wait. No he didn’t.

“Listen you spineless little cunt,” he growled, his voice soft but murderous. She broke another rib and Spike cursed roughly before continuing. “I don’t know who the hell your brother was, so how do you-”

Another rib.

He let out a short shout, gasping for unneeded air.

“No I bet you didn’t, did you?” She snarled at him, and then threw a punch into his stomach muscles. He groaned, and bit out another insult beneath his breath.

“You didn’t even care who he was, you just wanted to kill something!”

“It’s what I do,” he growled without remorse. She was right, he didn’t give a fuck about who the vamp had been or what his name might be, or what his history was. All he’d cared about was letting off a little steam, and the idiot had probably been right down an alley in town square, waiting for an evening meal to leave one of the shops.

She punched him in a broken rib and Spike flinched but refused to make a sound. She glared down into his eyes, amber meeting amber as her story started to spill. She was getting ready to kill him, and before she did she wanted to explain exactly how she’d found out everything she needed to hunt down her brother’s killer. Spike’s mind was racing to think of a way out of this fucking ridiculous situation.

“The second I knew my brother was dead, I’d immediately assumed the slayer had done it. He was too good of a fighter for it to have been anyone average, and too smart to get himself caught on fire. But then I talked to some people and realized that the bitch was in Ohio, guarding a hellmouth. Ironic,” she tilted her head and continued, her voice conversational and her heel scraping cracked bone together as Spike gritted his teeth. “ ‘cause after I met up with my brother and a friend a his in this shithole town, we were headed there.”

Suddenly she lifted her foot, relieving the pressure on his broken bones to take a switchblade out of her back pocket. She dangled it above Spike’s face and he tried to gather the concentration to thrall her. Not many vampires could be beguiled by another, but if one was good enough at it, then it had a possibility of working.

It seemed to be Spike’s only hope if he wanted to get out of this, that or try and make a deal with the bint. Except he didn’t think she would go for anything he offered.

Sending a praise of thanks to Drusilla for even showing him the ABILITY of thrall, Spike tried to force his mind to overpower the bitch who stood above him like a malicious child. The knife gleamed in the moonlight.

Then it was coated in red, slashing through the black material of his shirt and into his chest.

“Son of a-!” Spike yelled, his shout rising into a growl. “I’m gonna tear you apart-”

She cut him off. “I made my way to Alabama and I planned to avenge my brother’s death.” Spike rolled his eyes, she didn’t notice, but twisted the knife anyways just to watch him try not to scream.

“After I picked up a couple of things from a witch in New Orleans,” she continued, before pulling the blade out and then kicking him hard in the side. “I came to this fucking place and tracked down the guy my brother had been staying with. I questioned him until his ears bled, and then dusted his ass when I found out he’d run away when my brother was attacked instead of helping him fight.”

A memory flashed in Spike’s mind and he asked gutturally, “What was the moron’s name?”

Her lips curled into a sneer, and she walked away from him to pick up a random fallen tree branch. It was short but thick, and would do nicely as a stake.

Spike clenched his jaw and tried to think of a way out of this. He was the fucking Slayer of Slayers, he couldn’t be put down by a twat who probably wasn’t even a hundred years. The magick on the net was strong, though; he couldn’t move a thing. Closing his eyes- against his better judgment -Spike willed his mind to calm, trying to block out the pain. The ONLY shot he had right now was to thrall her.

He heard her voice in the back of his mind as he tried to concentrate his will. “The asshole my brother was staying with? Jared. Idiot surfer dude who shoulda never been turned. He was better left as meat.”

He heard her footsteps and Spike opened his eyes, now blue with the pupils dilated. He concentrated, could feel the power slowly coming to him. Fortunately, she didn’t seem quite ready to stop talking.

“Once I knew who you were, apparently always killing anything just because you could and if it was in your precious little fucking Mayberry of a town, I decided to catch you. Torture you a little. Then stake you.”

*You've got a lot to learn about torture if this is all you've got,* Spike thought.

Her chatter paused, and she glided closer. He opened his eyes and focused on the back of her head. She wasn’t looking at him anymore, but off into the distance. If she heard something then he could’ve missed it, he was too centered on the thrall. It took much more work to conjure the control for it when you hadn’t used it in a while, and your target was another vampire… and you were currently bleeding on the ground with broken bones that ground together each time you futilely tried to move.

She whirled around and kneeled by his shoulder. Her smile was evil.

Spike tried to catch her eyes, but she wasn’t looking at him. If he knew hatred (and he did), then she would look at him just as she plunged the wood into his heart, or right before. He hoped she’d do it just before.

The bitch’s eyes practically twinkled as she ran the edge of her improvised stake against his still chest. “My name is Flora, by the way. Just thought you might wanna know who it was that killed you before I, well,” she giggled maniacally. “kill you.”

Then, her gaze met his, and just before he could snare her the woman’s body was flung backwards.

The stake flew into the air and landed with a dull thud that nobody heard. Spike’s eyes grew the size of saucers and when he saw the vindictive bitch propelled into a tree trunk, he felt giddy for a sheer perfect moment.

Then he frowned and looked around. No one was in-

Wait.

He sniffed the air, blocking out the scents of his vengeful torturer, his own blood, and the surrounding Alabama night.

His nostrils twitched and he smiled. Spike knew that scent.

Flora screamed and her chest began to glow. She looked at her assailant who was calmly emerging from the surrounding trees. “A GYPSY?! You are shitting me- Fuck!” She shouted when the burning glow around her dead heart flared brighter, she pressed a hand to her chest and was quickly singed.

Oh, Spike had seen that trick before, and Christ he missed the sight of it.

A tall, broad shouldered man walked slowly towards the vampire against the tree. Her chest shone as he held his hand up, palm open to her.

A deep, mixed accented voice entered the air. “You’ll die soon, don’t worry.”

Spike smirked, all of the pain in his body dimming in the light of this new turn of events. Leave it to Stevo Martinov to announce someone’s death to them in calm, even tones even as he's the one doing the killing.

Bloody hell but this was a beautiful sight. The vengeful bitch was going to die, in a moment she would burst into flames.

But something switched. Something that made Spike try and jump up to defend his friend despite the net. Flora growled as she pulled the burning ember ball from her chest, an agonized scream tearing from her throat. The vampire screeched and whipped it towards her towering opponent, and Spike watched from the ground as Stevo jumped out of the way to avoid the flame.

The man tracked the spinning and swirling ball of heat. Surprised, zoned in eyes, concentration, and a will of power. He said a few words under his breath and the flames extinguished.

The air crackled with magicks, the night seemed violated somehow. The blood from Spike’s wound continued to seep into his shirt and the ground, a wind played with dried leaves in the dirt, and the surrounding silence was unnatural.

Both males turned back to the place where Flora had stood. She was gone.

Stevo breathed in deeply as he supported himself on his hands and knees. He moved back to sit on his haunches. The man squinted his eyes, examining the incapacitated vampire and looking anything but impressed.

Spike felt his pride take a hit, and pursed his lips when the gypsy raised one dark eyebrow at him.

Quiet deafened, and with a ‘fuck you, just get me outta this’ look on his face as he was judged by his friend, Spike almost wished he'd gotten to take his chances with possibly failing to thrall his attacker.

With a sigh, Stevo stood up and raised a hand above the net still holding him immobile. He frowned, Spike guessing he was impressed by the magick he felt bound to the trapping net, and then the gypsy bent his fingers into a fist. With matching movements of his arm, the net levitated up and away; Stevo tossed it onto the dirt and murmured some foreign language under his breath as Spike groaned and got to his feet.

The thickly roped net glowed brightly for a moment, and then turned black.

Stevo twisted around, looking at Spike's injuries with disapproval. A little concern touched the edges of his honey-bronzed eyes. “Want to tell me how the hell a vampire of only about eighty managed to catch you in such a ridiculous trap?”

Spike pushed a hand against his bleeding chest, silently wishing he had enough aggravation towards his friend to endure the pain of lifting an arm and slapping the helpful oaf upside the head. “ ’Ello to you too, mate.”

Stevo followed as he started walking away. “I don’t know who you managed to piss off, but whoever she is she's powerful. That spell most likely wounded her but I don't think it will keep her down for very long. She's not a witch, but I’ve never seen a vampire take hold of that spell and throw it back before.”

Spike let out a couple of painful coughs which went ignored as Stevo continued, unbothered, “She knew I was Romani, too. Right off the bat.”

Spike put a hand to his broken ribcage and cast a glance at the taller human behind him. “Anyone who gets one look at you can tell you’re a bleeding gypsy, Stev.”

The man grinned, an almost proud and very unrepentant look coming over his features. “Either way, she was powerful. That net that you were sprawled under like a shot tiger practically hummed there was so much magick covering it.”

Spike groaned as he approached his front door as quickly as he could. “ She said she got it from a witch in New Orleans, the bloody thing felt like lead. Couldn’t even flip the bitch off.”

Stevo nodded and walked a little bit ahead when they were fifteen feet from Spike's front door. He unlocked it and opened it wide for the vampire to step through.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “How’d you get my keys?” He stopped to pat his empty duster pockets and then rolled his eyes heavenward.

Stevo just smirked. “I taught you how to pickpocket, remember.”

“Yeh," Spike nodded. "I remember.”

The two men slowly entered the warmth of the house, and Stevo closed the front door behind him before glancing around. “I forgot what this place looked like.” He set the keys on a nearby table.

Spike headed for the kitchen. “S’what happens when you only see a place once an then don’ come back for five years.”

He shrugged. “Hey, that’s much less than any of the other times we’ve been apart.”

Spike made a noncommittal sound and pulled off his duster and bloody T-shirt, opening the refrigerator as Stevo leaned up against the doorframe.

The gypsy placed a hand over his heart and spoke in a flattered tone of voice. “Why now friend, did you miss me?”

Spike sent him a scathing look before vamping out and ripping into a blood bag, thankful for the liquid red running down his throat. His wounds burned and ached, the bruising on his side was darkening and the gouge in his chest was still bleeding. Christ he was hungry.

Crossing his arms, the human standing in the doorway looked over the injuries from a distance. He shrugged again. “Think you’ll want some bandages wrapped around those ribs?”

Spike dropped the empty blood bag on the counter and opened an overhead cabinet to pull out a bottle of Jack Daniels. He waved it at his friend in response, who smiled and nodded.

Spike opened the liquor bottle and took a swig before wading some paper towels around his hand and wetting them in the sink.

“So,” the gypsy started, wanting to know why his friend of over a century had gotten himself into yet another absurd and dangerous situation. He’d honestly thought Spike had learned by now how to smell a trap. “I’d love to know how you managed to get yourself caught under a NET. Did Ms. Flora lure you with bagged virgin’s blood or…?”

“Sod off.” Spike growled, pressing wet toweling to his bleeding chest. He'd been an idiot, and didn't really feel like talking about it.

He took another swig of whiskey.

"Ooh." Stevo hissed, and put a hand back over his heart, his words drenched in mock-hurt as a smile appeared on his lips. “And not even a thank you."

Spike threw his bloody paper towels into the garbage and then turned back around, aggravation in his voice and apparent on his face. He’d underestimated her, the Flora bint. That had been his problem, and her opening. “I fucked up. Thought she was gonna be an easy kill, an I didn’t bother to look up when I went for her.”

Stevo shook his head and tsked. “Thought you were smarter than that, William. It’s been a while since I’ve had to bail you out of a crappy situation.”

Spike growled and glared at the same time. “Call me that again an I’ll rip your lungs out.” He strode away, leaving the JD on the counter.

“Ooh, touchy, touchy,” his friend said.

Stevo followed, clasping the neck of the abandoned whiskey bottle in his hand as he continued to talk. “Alright, so you’ve managed to make another enemy. I’ll ask you how in a minute. First,” he took a swig of the alcohol, sighing in approval as he climbed the staircase behind a wincing Spike. “you need to know that this isn’t just a social call, friend. Dru had a vision, and well, it wasn’t good. The rest of the blokes are on their way here.”

Spike came to an immediate halt on the landing, turning to face the man behind him. Obvious worry covered his face. “What the hell was the vision about?”

“You.”

Spike snarled, his vamp face gone but not the demon inside. He was not only injured and irritated, but now concerned and bordering on pissed. “That’s not a surprise considering you just showed up an saved my arse from a sadistic pipsqueak! What m'wonderin is WHY the hell Dru's havin visions ‘bout me?”

Stevo took another drink of the whiskey. “I wish I knew,” he said, raising his eyebrows and tilting the bottle at him.

Spike clenched his jaw and muttered a curse under his breath. “What did the vision show,” he asked irritably. “Was it at least clear?”

The taller man shook his head apologetically. “She said it was muddled. But it involves you," he nodded at Spike. "and something bad.”

The vampire scoffed. "Well that's real bloody detailed."

His friend frowned, shaking a head of brunette hair. "Spike, you know Dru's visions are seldom, but no matter how garbled or clear they are, they always involve protecting something. Hell, the last time she had a vision about one of the guys Ace's father almost clawed his way out of that hell dimension."

Spike puffed out a laugh. God that had been a bugger of a fight, he remembered it well. Just what exactly was going on NOW? Running a hand through his hair, he sighed, “Christ. They're on their way here, then; s'Dru comin?”

“No. She hasn’t left Europe since 1880, and I don’t think she’s planning on it anytime soon unless there's an emergency or the mobs start again.”

Spike scoffed amusedly. Then he shook his head, suddenly hating his life and wanting to get blackout drunk. He understood why Dru wasn't coming, that was fine, it was everything else that was threatening to drive him batty. Not only did he have a vengeful little fuck of an enemy out for him- a powerful one at that –but this vision most likely meant there was more shit to the story. It wasn't good news. And Buffy was in even more danger now with this Flora bint out and looking for a way to enact revenge.

Spike clenched his fists at his sides. “Shhhhit,” he hissed.

“What is it?”

He shook his head in reply and just asked, “When are the other bloody five supposed to arrive?”

Stevo blew out a breath. “Well, Rex will probably be here first, Thunderbird and all; possibly by tomorrow night. He was in Asia doing some damn exploring or something.”

A smile actually almost came to Spike's lips. Stevo, even the gypsy that he was, didn’t do much travelling, and he didn’t understand the people that did. He’d been all over Europe and now resided mainly in England; he said his past travels weren't all that great.

His large clan, including Drusilla, knew of his powers and had ones of their own. Gypsy healers and witches and fortune tellers alike lived together on a small strip of land, and the tradition of moving from place to place had ceased years ago for them. The entire clan kept their lives quiet and simple, their powers and supernatural lifespans a secret to outsiders.

And Mr. Martinov had just said that Rex would most likely be the first one of the group to get here. Lovely. The guy was a fucking Thunderbird, and they had awful goddamn tempers. He was a very real "mythological creature", one of the beings from those Native American legends. Though Rex was walking proof that those legends were a bit off, and he’d be the first to set you straight on the matter. The bloke was part America Indian, and he could shape-shift into a human form. Though when he was winged, he could fly faster than a jet. He'd be here soon, alright.

“Can’t wait to see him,” Spike shook his head. “S’been a while since I’ve gotten into a good screamin match with the pigeon.”

Stevo’s lips quirked. “Call him that and the screaming will start real early.”

Spike nodded, and said in a tolerant tone, “And the others are on their way, too?”

He nodded. “Yes. Ace and Dylan were in Africa, they should be boarding a plane right now. And Blake’s been spending the last month at some brothel in Switzerland.”

Spike couldn’t help the snicker he let out.

Stevo just rolled his eyes. “I know, friend, I know. What do you want, the guy says he needs human sexual appetite as well as sex. It took me three days to find out where he was, I finally had to do a tracking spell on him.”

Spike laughed softly. Then, tilting his head in thought he studied his friend for a moment, blue eyes wondering. He poked his tongue against the inside of his cheek, then asked, “You know I don’t need a babysitter, Stev. An I can see why after Dru’s vision you might wanna come out here ta check up on me, but I don’ see why the rest of the bloody pack's comin in." He gestured impatiently with an open hand. "This warnin could just be about that bint I met t'night."

Stevo raised an eyebrow and looked Spike up and down pointedly, his expression said he was not all that impressed with the vampire’s ability to watch his own back.

Spike glared. “Now that I know the bird is-”

“It’s not quite so simple, my friend.”

He sighed, losing his patience once again. “It never is.”

“The Gem of Amara might be involved.”

The air froze, and Spike frowned. Hard. “The Gem of Amara,” he repeated. “How the hell did that buggerin thing come into play here?”

“Dru says that… she can’t explain it." Stevo shrugged. "She just says that the vision gave her some sort of knowledge that the Gem was involved. She didn’t see it but she… I’m not sure, felt it.”

Spike nodded, having enough understanding of Drusilla’s visions to know what Stevo meant. He just wasn’t sure if he believed it. “The Gem is s'posed to be a bloody story, how can we even be sure it exists?”

“We can’t, but with Dru’s vision, and what I just witnessed outside I’m going to say that we need the others here to help with whatever the hell it is we might be dealing with.”

Spike ran a hand through his hair again and over his face. Stevo, and the other five blokes coming in, were the few people Spike allowed himself to trust. He’d known them all for years, and while the majority of his existence had been spent alone, these men were Spike’s friends. They were strong supernatural beings with good senses of humor, sturdy tolerances for alcohol, and they’d helped him through hundreds of bad fixes in the past, just as he had with them.

They were a few people in this world that Spike actually cared about, though he never admitted it, not even to himself.

“Veritable superhero brigade.” He muttered.

Stevo spoke up. “So, are you going to tell me why exactly that lean little female was torturing you underneath a voodoo net?”

Spike rolled his eyes and planted his forehead against the wall. “You did kill that thing’s power, right?”

Stevo nodded.

Spike pulled away from the wall to pinch the bridge of his nose. Vampires weren't prone to headaches unless they were nursing a hell of a hangover, yet he could feel one knocking at the back of his skull. “I killed the bint’s brother, she was lookin for revenge”

Stevo's eyebrows rose. “She had a stake ready and raised above your heart. Someone like that usually isn’t the type to simply give up. I think she’s still going to be looking for vengeance, and you’re going to have to end her before she ends you.”

“Yeah,” Spike announced as he strode away, “I plan to.”

The two approached a door, which Spike opened up to reveal his bedroom. There was a large king size in the middle covered with soft linens and an elegant comforter. The wood flooring was dark brown with a rich area rug of reds and yellows, burgundy and gold covering much of the cool surface. The painted walls were a deep purple maroon, a large soft leather chair sat in a corner, and there was a doorway leading to a private bathroom on the left. One massive chest of drawers resided next to that.

When Stevo entered, he froze.

Spike headed to the chest when suddenly, a little sound drew his attention.

His eyes doubled in size, and the next second he noticed that the silence in the room was too immediate, too heavy. He pursed his lips and turned around. *This is just all I bloody need.*

Stevo's face as he stared at the kitten was one of both shock, and unsure excitement. The little feline peered up at the stranger in curiosity from the floor. Then she decided she wasn't as interested anymore and hopped up onto the bed, walking to the middle where she sat and wrapped her tiny tail around herself. She looked at Spike and meowed.

Quiet positively drowned the room, and Spike cast a guarded glance in Stevo's direction. The look on the gypsy's face could make anybody feel like a helpless child about to be bullied on the schoolyard.

Grinning from ear to ear, with way too much laughter bubbling up beneath the surface, he started to ask, "Is that-"

"Stevo," Spike growled. "I am not in the bloody mood."

"That's a kitten."

"No shit, moron."

Said kitten meowed again, and it was all Stevo could take. He started cackling, a rich and deep sound that made the feline's ears twitch around on her tiny little head.

Spike shook his head as the man's obvious delight grew louder, and then sighed for what felt like the thousandth time that night as he went to get a clean shirt. When Stevo spoke again it was in between raucous laughter.

"God please tell me you named her."

Spike didn't answer.

Stevo put a hand to his stomach as he tried to control himself. "I bet it's something pretty isn't it? Fitting for a furry little lady," he laughed.

"Will you shot your gob?!" Spike said abrasively.

"When did you get her? Was she just begging for you to take her home with those big eyes and you couldn't say no?"

Spike hated the tone in his friend's voice, hated that Stevo's guessing was right. It was mocking and merry and bloody hell but he was never going to hear the end of this. "I found her."

"And you just couldn't say no to that face, could you?" Stevo mock-pouted, and if he hadn't been busy making fun of Spike at the moment, the vampire might have actually laughed at the sight.

Instead irritation just set in further.

The gypsy approached the bed and gently scooped the kitten into one large hand.

Spike took a step forward. "What are you do-"

Stevo brought the mewing animal up to eye level and smiled. "Did your 'Big Bad' master leave you home without any company?" His voice was sympathetically sweet, with enough tease directed towards Spike to almost make the vampire blush.

The muscle by his jaw jumped. "Drop her, Stev."

"Ooh, someone's getting protective," the man said to the kitten. "You know little one, you have one of the fiercest owners in the world. Why, he was a major evil back in my day, and known for his torture techniques." He snapped his fingers with a jolly flick of one tanned wrist. "No one will dare try and hurt you as long as you're living under William the Bloody's roof!"

Spike's nostrils flared and he groaned. "Oh, piss off!" He went to the bathroom, and just before slamming the door barked out, "As long as you're holdin her ya can 'least give her some food while I take a shower!"

Stevo laughed again, shaking his head as he looked into the green eyes of the little animal. "Oh the guys are just going to love you."
End Notes:
I don't think vampires are supposed to be able to thrall one another in the Buffy-verse, but since this is AU im going to be changing stuff around once in a while.

-and please know that for future characters and things, i have both 1) used what I've read about certain creatures and myths in the story and 2) added my own tweaks to such myths and legends to suit my liking-

Please review! *hugs*
Chapter 13: Away for Awhile by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, thanks for sticking with this story, and thank you to those who reviewed! I hope you like this chapter :)
She needed a number.

Seriously, anything. A cell phone or house phone, an address. Something would be nice.

Spike wasn't at the library. It had only been two days since their... time, spent together at her house, the attic and the kissing and the 'Let's learn the history of Buffy's life' game.

And he wasn't at the library, hadn't been for the past two nights. The day right after being with him, she'd wanted- felt like she'd NEEDED, to come back. The place was practically calling her, she had already spent so much time away from it. After showing up every day for over a month, a week was a pretty long sabbatical.

Buffy thought she would see Spike there, but he never showed. Then, the absence of his presence the following day had started Buffy thinking he might be avoiding her. She kept trying to tell herself that he wasn't, that he was busy or something. Anything but allowing her usually untrusting nature to take charge and cause a great big hole of disappointment in her heart.

Now it was the third day, and she was trying to convince herself that she was totally NOT worried.

She just wanted a number.

Buffy groaned, flopping her head forward into the open pages of her book. She had gotten through only half of this novel in the three days since she'd chosen it.

Three days, and she still wasn't finished.

It was insane. She always read a book quickly, always. Hardly ever did it take her more than a day to read a novel from start to finish. Yet Spike, and the antagonizing thoughts of him and the trying to ignore the doubts which said he was avoiding her, were taking up precedence in her brain.

Buffy sighed to herself. It wasn't like he'd said he would see her at the library, she'd simply assumed. But thinking he would show up here wasn't crazy in the least. It was their spot, the place they'd met and spent the most time together. Maybe with recent developments it could be strained at first between them, but that was pretty hard to believe.

They would probably just talk and hang out. Or maybe they'd sit close while they both read quietly. Either way, she missed having him around. She liked solitude but now the library's third floor just felt bare.

Running a hand through her hair, Buffy looked around the silent room. She was being ridiculous. She felt she knew Spike, he hadn't acted like someone running scared from her the other night.

If he did manage to change his mind sometime after he'd left her, realizing that he didn't need a dejected head case with trust issues in his life, then Buffy had sorely misjudged him.

She felt she hadn't. In her heart of hearts, even with these worries jumping out from all corners, she believed he wasn't running away from her. He wouldn't.

And she shouldn't care so much if he did.

Buffy groaned again, an empty room the only listener to her aggravation and worry. She shouldn't be so preoccupied thinking about him. She wasn't one of those desperate girls who sat by a phone waiting for the guy to finally call when he wanted to; IF he decided to.

And this wasn't even the same situation. Spike and her were not 'labeled' or dating. They'd shared some kisses... Close, invading, pulse racing kisses; but kisses all the same. They were just lip locks, even if they felt like more. He didn't owe her a thing.

Yet he'd promised to be there for her. To lean on. To talk with.

*He might've changed his mind.*

Buffy shook her head of the thought. She had to stop obsessing. NOW. It had only been two freaking days! It didn't mean he was dropping her. And if he was, then... that was okay. She didn't... She didn't need him. If her doubts were correct, then she'd live. She'd be hurt, but what else was new. She could deal.

"Real 'glass half full' there, Buffy," she said to herself, rising from her seat and standing to stretch. She was being crazy. She shouldn't even be doubting him, it had been less than, how many hours were in three full days? Right. Seventy-two. It had been less that seventy-two hours and she was wigging.

Sitting down again, tucking her bare feet beneath her knees, Buffy promised herself she would calm down. She'd give him time. There was nothing pressuring either of them to seek one another out. Spike probably had a job, he had a life, she was sure he had things to deal with that didn't always include the library. She hadn't asked him what he did for a living, or about his daily habits, and she couldn't be assuming the worst just because she hadn't seen him in a couple of days.

Speaking of jobs. Buffy figured she should probably look for one. As much as she loathed the idea.

Oh, GOD how she loathed it. But sooner or later she would most likely need one, and right now, Grams was suggesting it. Not cruelly, or to get Buffy out of the house, but literally just suggesting. She knew that her Grams wouldn't nag her about it or force her, but the woman was (unfortunately) right. And Buffy knew that, too.

Looking for one in town was probably the best option. *I can see it now. Handling myself with lots of people, possibly friendly ones who like to chat about the plans for their daughters' birthday parties and their busy schedules. Working as a waitress? Yeah, how great.*

Maybe she could get a job at Pretty Penny's, if not at that diner in town. She could waitress. She'd done it before a few times in California. She didn't want to, but she doubted anyone else was looking for employees anyhow, the stores were all small and had enough workers she was sure.

She wasn't too keen on the idea of learning how to be a checkout girl, anyway; or gaining any other new skills. She knew waitressing. She could do it, quick and efficiently, and maybe even be able to wear a headphone in one ear while she went from table to table... Okay, that was most likely grasping at straws, but she could fake smiles like a pro.

Buffy's ponytail bobbed as she shook her head. She needed to do this. She didn't want to, but she had to. Not because it might help her calm down and focus better around people, but because she needed to start saving more money for herself. And a job was the best way to do that.

But for now she was just going to try and read her book. The last two nights had been rough, with many nightmares bustling in and waking her up. She was tired and wanted to read, to escape for a little while. Not think about jobs or possibly pretend issues with Spike.

She took a deep breath. Looking down, her eyes started scanning over the words written in simple computer print, and as the real world tuned out, the warm air in the library draped over her in a blanket of comfort. She started to relax. Her shoulders dropped and a smile touched her lips at a funny line the main character spoke. A beat of Buffy's heart, the next page flipped, not a noise following behind.

Footsteps suddenly started up the stairs. Her head involuntarily looked up and she sat with a stiff spine, listening for a familiar approach and the creak of wood beneath Doc Martens.

Until a stranger emerged and headed to the restroom.

Buffy huffed.

This was going to be a long day.

><

They'd gotten in last night. Rex was late, as were the rest. Blake, Dylan, and Ace's flights had all been longer than expected, and their drives from airports to MayBell tedious. The blokes had passed out the second they'd hit Spike's living room floor, which was covered by an old queen mattress with sheets and pillows.

It wasn't a surprise. They may be strong and could sometimes go longer without sleep than mere humans, but each had stayed up for their entire travels (Rex having actually flown himself).

So you understand why none of them had barely even uttered a greeting before tugging off their shoes and shirts, and collapsing on whichever soft surfaces were directly available.

Stevo had laughed while looking down at the half-dressed forms of their comrades. "You better have food for them when they wake up."

"I went shoppin yesterday for the bloody vultures, got everythin worth spendin on and some stuff I just swiped. We should have enough for now."

Stevo gave him a funny look. It wasn't reproachful, but more amused. Spike knew he wasn't even thinking about the stealing comment, for Stevo was no stranger to taking what he wanted if it was convenient. He was thinking about something else.

With an eyebrow quirk, the gypsy stated, "You sound annoyed."

Spike gave an obvious sniff of affirmation., but said nothing. In truth he wasn't all that angered by his mates' presences. On the contrary,- though the circumstances blew -he admitted he'd actually missed them.

But right now he was missing someone else.

"What, you had better plans than housing a group of friends?"

Spike sighed. "It's not them, ya moron. Just the bloody vision m'thinkin about."

Stevo nodded, unknowingly accepting a half-truth.

The night quickly moved to its end after that. Spike went to bed as the sun arose, hoping sleep would continue helping to heal his ribs, and Stevo (who had the guest bedroom) conked out not too long before that. The vampire and gypsy were the first two up come four PM, and their friends were still asleep.

Well, three of them were. One was found in the kitchen.

"Morning, guys," said Dylan, the half-Brachen demon and youngest of the group. He was the epitome of kindness this bloke, even looked the part. Dark blonde hair and friendly brown eyes, his complexion light and his build powerful yet compact. You'd never guess he hid a demon face of green skin and spikes.

He was a bit taller than the vampire in the room but shorter than Stevo, a bookworm with glasses to go; his demeanor presenting a man of both greeting and shyness. Sometimes Spike wondered how he ended up sticking around in the group, he wasn't the least bit mischievous like the rest of the men, and not even close to evil like Spike was. He was intelligent beyond belief, soft spoken unless it came to theories, and had a silent laugh that made it so only his friends or the most observant of people could tell when he was amused.

And he was currently sitting at the table typing like a pro on a computer.

Spike just raised an eyebrow, while Stevo went to the refrigerator and squeezed Dylan's shoulder in silent greeting on the way over.

Stevo wasn't a morning person, so he wouldn't stop grunting in replies or commence talking until he'd had his coffee. Which, the gypsy was currently making.

Spike was usually a bundle of energy anytime of the day, more alert with blood fresh in his system. Right now though he was just trying to figure out how long Dylan had been at that laptop. The man could spend days on the thing going through data or researching.

"Have you even eaten yet?" Spike asked with a frown.

The half-mortal shook his head. "Went straight to the web. I've been doing research for about an hour. Although if you're making it, Stev, could I get some coffee?"

The gypsy grunted, setting the percolator pot on the stove. Spike just shook his head, walking to the fridge and retrieving a bag of O-neg. He popped it in the microwave and glanced at the taller tanned skinned man to his left. Stevo's face was covered by his hand, trying to shut out the light coming in from the kitchen window. His black hair was mussed and hanging over his eyes, the tired look of the human not matching his fit and healthy stature. Damn but the guy wasn't any good at all without caffeine.

Spike didn't drink coffee often, however, he felt like he might need a cup himself. Once the others got up, the day was going to be one giant headache; filled with trying to figure out that vision and maybe hunting down Flora if they had the time.

It would be exhausting. There would probably be food runs into town a couple of times, plenty of arguing, and perhaps even a power nap for one or two of them. The research could get ridiculous, the theories and ideas for what the big picture might be becoming heated debates.

Trying to work with these men was immensely frustrating, and almost impossible, but they always managed to get the job done. Not because they felt it was their duty of course, none of them (except for Dylan) were very kind or selfless.

Stevo had never caused harm to any human, but he didn't abide by many rules. He cared about his clan, everyone outside of it had to follow their own path and deal with their own lives; but he was obliging to those who sought his help.

Ace, an immortal half-demon, had gone through an evil streak hundreds of years before. The natural dark power of his father swimming in his veins had given Ace the desire to spill blood. Then, around the 1300s, he'd apparently turned over a new leaf after meeting a person who'd been related to his mother. The girl had breathed a sort of a conscience into him, he said; though it wasn't quite as effective as a real one, and he liked it that way.

Rex was a killer, born a predator, but had stopped eating humans about three or four centuries back. He'd decided that the grief families felt after he'd kill a loved one was starting to ruin the meals for him. Now he stuck to animal meat, sometimes being the hunter and sometimes just going to the store and buying a steak. He was hot-tempered and didn't have much patience, but the guy was basically good, he just stayed that way for selfish reasons. He'd never admit to going soft.

Then you had Blake, the walking erection. His life was sex, and asides from just being a rather selfish bugger and needing to learn the maturity he had now over time (very little of it, mind you), he was also basically good, but still lacking a true conscience.

The only thing that had gotten this group of mostly self-interested superbeings working together on occasion to keep the world in tact was the same thing that had originally united them: Drusilla.

Her visions. She only got sent certain ones, they weren't regular occurrences. Presumably from the Powers That Be, and always important, they had led Stevo to Spike. The gypsy had already known the other men from past experiences, and acquaintances and friendships had been built by the time Spike entered the picture. Dylan was the last member to come around in 1910.

Several threats of the impending apocalypse had been sent to Drusilla over the years, most often involving relatives or connections to one of the men in their little group. She got those straggler visions too, the ones that weren't telling of any real threat. And then sometimes there was a completely random demon getting too close to unleashing hell on Earth.

Stevo, Spike, and the rest, had ended up saving the world many times over; and if it weren't for the fact they had a mutual agreement that Armageddon would suck, then Earth could very well have been resting at hell's feet by now.

The last vision involving Spike hadn't been anything tremendous. Actually it was more of a little note, really. The only thing it did was lead Stevo to the vampire, nothing more. Maybe the Powers had known Spike would be needed in the future when it came to saving the bloody world, otherwise he couldn't fathom why they'd done it; sent his sire a vision with info to give a caregiver and friend on where to locate him.

"Whoa, nostalgia comin off a you, boy."

Spike's eyes shot up, and he realized that Blake had walked in the room. The microwave suddenly beeped and the vampire opened the door to retrieve his blood. "Nice to see you too, mate."

The black haired male of six-foot two offered a half smile, his blue-green eyes friendly and whimsical in that way you could only describe as impish. He always had a somewhat threatening edge to him, but was cracking jokes just as easily as he was throwing around charm. "What's with the emotions, you'd think we were all dead the way you're remembering the past in Technicolor."

Spike poured his warmed blood into a mug, biting back an amused sigh. Blake was a pretty decent empath, and it was a hop and a skip away from reading minds if you were intelligent enough. "Just rememberin the times when you didn't used ta talk so much." He took a sip of his breakfast. "S'been a long while since you've shut up for more 'an five minutes without bein passed out or sleepin."

Stevo scoffed from the side, having just gotten in his first sip of coffee. "You're one to talk."

Spike glared without malice. "Weren' you s'posed to get Tech-boy a cup o' joe?"

Dylan raised one hand with a pointer finger up. "True."

Stevo took a second swallow of his caffeine and went to grab another mug.

"The other two up yet?" Spike asked the brunette in the corner.

Blake shook his head. "They'll stay out for at least three more hours, guaranteed. Ace hates mornings more than Stev, and Rex was flying. The idiot didn't even stop for food, probably held his bladder the whole way here."

Spike smirked. "Wouldn't be surprised. He's always in a bloody rush," he leaned against the counter and scooted out of the way as Stevo brought a coffee filled cup to the man at the computer. "So... Switzerland, eh?"

Blake grinned, his pearly perfect teeth practically gleaming as his eyes turned hot. "Oh man, you have got no idea how much fun that was."

Dylan breathed out a silent laugh, Stevo snorted, and Spike smiled. "Someone had a good time, then."

Blake nodded and Stevo muttered, "I'll bet."

"Hey, if you wanted to go all you had to do was ask, buddy. I know it's been a while since-"

"Not all of us need to go to brothels to get women, my friend," Stevo interrupted over another muted sniff of laughter from the tech at the table.

Spike bit the inside of his cheek but said nothing. Blake started again. "No, we don't. But it's nice to actually get one or two, don't ya think?"

Stevo glared at the tease in his friend's eyes and took another sip of coffee. "Yes, as long as you're not buried underneath them."

Blake blinked and looked at the ceiling as if he were thinking hard about that. "Well..."

The gypsy rolled his eyes and cut him off again."You know what I mean, dumbass. I had to do a locater spell on you!"

He grinned as he walked to the fridge. "What can I say," Blake shrugged, "I was buried underneath all those women."

Stevo groaned. Spike laughed softly and caught Dylan's amused eyes while shaking his head. Maybe things wouldn't be too bad. At least he got to be with these perfect morons until the threat of danger was gone, it could be worse.

"Well now, Spike. Did you go on a feline friendly diet while we were gone?"

Blake's curious and sardonic voice pierced through the air, along with Stevo's sudden deep boom of laughter. Dylan looked up from his computer screen. "What?"

Blake stared at Spike, who was trying not to show or feel any emotion at the moment. "Do you share nightly meals with the local strays or something? What's with the cat food, buddy?"

Dylan stood up, casting a confused glance at Stevo who was still laughing and now leaning against a nearby chair. Spike sent a glare in the gypsy's direction as he tried to ignore Blake's eyes on him, while Dylan moved to look inside the fridge.

"Someone's nervous..." the empath taunted, another grin spreading across his features. "Chuckles," he looked to Stevo, "you know somethin we don't?"

The man had to sit down, his laughs turning almost painful as he clutched at his stomach while Dylan was looking confused as he stared inside the refrigerator. He pulled out a half empty can of kitten food. "Spike, why do you have cat food in your fridge?"

"Go ahead," Stevo coughed, forcing his bellows down in order to watch his friends' reactions without tears clouding his vision. "Tell them."

Spike glowered a look that could melt ice, but the gypsy did not even blink. Instead, Blake and Dylan just got more curious. "Spike," the latter questioned. "did you get a pet?"

The vampire groaned. Why couldn't his little furball had found him AFTER all of this vision, Gem of Amara crap had been dealt with? And why'd he have to put the bloody can in the front of the fridge to begin with?!

He took a hard swallow of his blood.

"Oh my god," drawled Blake. "you got a fucking cat, didn't you?"

"Where is it?" Dylan added quickly.

"Oh no, it's not a cat," said Stevo, ignoring Spike's warning look. "It's a kitten."

Blake practically beamed while Dylan frowned and looked to the gypsy for answers. "Not for poker?"

"Holy shit." Blake's voice was dumbfounded. Stevo shook his head in the negative to Dylan's question, and the empath finally shouted, "Where is it?!"

"Probably still in his bedroom."

Finally, Spike couldn't take anymore. "A'right, yes! I have a bloody cat, and NO, you can't see her!"

"It's a her?" Dylan asked, starting to put the cat food back in the fridge when Blake abruptly seized his arm and grabbed it.

"Oh no, Dylan!" He walked to the entry of the kitchen and through it, the opened can still in hand. "We'll need this, the princess will want her breakfast now won't she?"

His tone could make a clown blush, and Spike's eyes doubled in size but he didn't move fast enough before Dylan had run after Blake, with Stevo right behind.

The vamp slammed his mug down on the counter and prepared to take on the load of crap he KNEW he was going to have to deal with until the end of time. Or maybe he'd just kill the idiots he was currently chasing up the stairs after, that way he wouldn't have to listen to-

"Holy fuck, it is a kitten."

Spike grit his teeth. Just lovely.

><

A few hours later, after she was tired of getting distracted every time someone walked up the steps to the third floor, Buffy decided she was hungry enough to head to Leonard's Place. The same little diner she'd eaten at her first day exploring MayBell.

She could've gone to a closer destination, like the little cafe where she got her coffee, but figured she'd see if there was a waitressing job available at the diner before she sat down to eat. It wasn't a fun prospect, she was fidgety and nervous, she felt like she was applying for her first job again.

Although instead of being worried if the employees were nice or not, and whether she'd trip and fall, or spill food on somebody, Buffy's fears were more focused on just being able to deal with a crowd. She knew the restaurant wasn't very noisy, at least the day she'd gone there it wasn't. However, the customers talking, the loud clanging of dishes, her inability to focus on most people for too long without getting a headache- all of it spelled disaster.

Another thing that worried her was the friendly chatter she was sure to experience should she get a waitressing job. No doubt the curious yet kind people of MayBell would all already know her as Anne Summers' granddaughter and want to learn more about her, or not have any clue who the stranger in their midst was and so would therefore, feel inclined to know her better.

Buffy hoped and suspected that if she could get used to the chatter, then she would probably do fine with just tuning things out while she carried trays and took orders. She could focus on walking, not spilling water on customers' laps, pulling out cheery smiles if they were required of her. In a small town and a small diner, she was basically begging to become part of the neighborhood, but in truth Buffy just needed a job. She didn't want to be too social, and hoped that once she settled in, and people got used to her, they'd mostly just leave her be.

Stepping through the door and into the warm, bustling diner, Buffy made note of the fact that the restaurant hours were from seven AM to midnight. She supposed a lot of truckers and travelers passed through town, and since those schedules were always so random it was probably why a diner in such a tiny town had long hours. There were probably plenty of workers here. A part of Buffy hoped they could use one more, while another part of her hoped they couldn't.

Taking a deep breath, she headed for a small inconspicuous booth in the back by a window.

"S'cuse me, darlin!" A tall waiter with a heavy tray of plates set on one broad shoulder passed straight in front of her, almost knocking Buffy on her butt. She blew out a breath and silently counted to three before moving forward again. The place was overly crowded today, with almost every seat taken and people of every age group talking and eating.

There were parents and children at tables with babies in booster seats, teenagers in booths, and a few old married couples at tables for two. No one sat alone, even three scruffy faced men in their forties wearing baseball caps, sitting at the counter on stools were sharing each other's company.

Feeling very much the loner amongst a bunch of social butterflies, Buffy wove her way to the empty booth in the corner. Sitting down finally with a sigh, she picked up a plastic covered menu with black lettering and a drab cream background. She took out an earphone, the sounds of one of her guilty pleasure songs dulling to silence in the midst of all the noise. Her stomach decided to start protesting the idea of food, but she hadn't eaten since noon so she planned on forcing down a sandwich at least.

When she spotted a tall waitress headed her way, a pretty smile on her painted face, Buffy quickly closed the menu and turned off her iPod.

"Hey sugar," the lady said, setting an ice cold glass of water down in front of her, one acrylic fingernail tapping against the tabletop as she looked at her customer with big blue eyes. "Know what you'll have?"

She stared up at the woman who had to be at least five-foot nine. Buffy felt like a shrimp. Frizzy blonde hair was piled on top of her head in curls, adding to the height, and her eyes were shadowed purple with black liner. Her lashes were thick and possibly fake, she was a little heavyset, her demeanor sweet and friendly. A nametag that said "Harriet" rested against her yellow diner shirt, the crisp collar matching her white knee length skirt and apron.

"Yeah," Buffy started. "Can I have a turkey club with everything on it and- um, water's fine."

"That all?"

"Yes." She nodded, then remembered her purpose. "Oh, wait. S-Sorry, I um, I'm sort've..." The waitress stared at her with expectancy, one manicured hand holding on to a notepad and the other resting on a solid hip. "I'm looking for a job. I was wondering if maybe there was a waitressing position open... here?"

*There. That wasn't so hard,* Buffy told to herself, though her racing heartbeat protested otherwise.

The waitress nodded, then looked her up and down, clearly assessing something. What it was, Buffy wasn't sure. "What's yer name?"

"Elizabeth. Elizabeth Summers." She figured adding in her last name might make the woman a little more patient with her, which Buffy soon realized was a good call because the waitress's eyes lit up with recognition.

"Oh, you're Annie's granddaughter aren't ya?"

Buffy nodded.

She smiled in response. "I'm Harriet. It's nice to meet you. So yer lookin for a job, huh?"

"Yes, um... I've waitressed before and I was hoping," *More like dreading* "that maybe I could apply here."

Harriet smiled again, her white teeth contrasting powerfully against her hot pink lipstick. "Well now I think you could carry a heavy tray or two, and Leonard's lookin for a new girl. Follow me." She waved a hand for Elizabeth to stand.

Which she did, clumsily but she did. Her brain was teetering a little on the foggy side as she slipped her iPod back in her bag and threw the strap over one shoulder. When she turned and followed the waitress, striding past full tables and people spit-balling at each other, her head started to ache just a little. Already she wished she was alone.

At least it seemed to be too noisy though for her to let her mind wander. That might prove to actually be helpful with her concentration waning.

Harriet led her to the back of the diner and into the kitchen. There were four cooks at separate grills and a couple of busboys carrying loads of dirty dishes to a teenager at a sink, up to his elbows in soapy steaming water. Three waitresses and a waiter, all in matching uniform shirts, rushed around grabbing plates and pinning notes with people's orders onto little turning racks. An older black gentleman wearing a white cap opposed to a hairnet like the other cooks, stood over five sizzling meat patties. His gray bushy eyebrows and lined face told of his age, and his hands flipped burgers like an seasoned pro, the spatula blurring with every movement.

"Leo!"

His head didn't turn as he answered Harriet's voice, his eyes still on the burgers. "I'm busy here, Harriet!"

"Well maybe you can be a little less busy." She waved for Elizabeth to follow her again without looking at the girl, and Buffy walked after her and tried not to let everyone rushing around unnerve her. She was so out of tune with people's whereabouts, she was going to be bumping into things left and right until she got used to the diner. IF she even got the job.

"I've got a girl here, Annie's granddaughter." Harriet stood next to Leonard with her hands on her hips, the buxom blonde waiting for him to turn and look at her.

He finally did, glancing at the short girl to Harriet's left. "Nice to meet you," he said, before going back to the burgers.

Harriet rolled her eyes. "She wants of job. Don't you still need another waitress?"

This got his attention. He quickly tossed two done burgers onto open buns on nearby plates, and then set down his spatula to face the women. "I do. One for nights." He looked at Miss Summers. "You wanna work here?"

Buffy swallowed before nodding.

He titled his head, his dark skin sweaty from being inside the hot kitchen all day. "You ever waitressed before?"

Buffy nodded again, this time responding to the man's heavy southern voice in a clear cut tone of her own. "Yes, I have."

He regarded her, almost like he was considering something. Then he looked her up and down much like Harriet had done not too long ago. "Can ya lift heavy trays?"

Buffy almost laughed when she got it. They were wondering about her size. "Yes," she said with a little smile. "I can lift heavy trays. I'm stronger than I look."

That seemed to appease him. Leonard nodded and said, "Okay. How's the night shift work for ya? Six to midnight, sometimes from four til then. Minimum wage, and ya keep yer own tips."

Buffy nodded again before asking, "How many nights a week?"

"Probably three, never more 'an five."

"Okay. I'll take it."

"Great." He told Harriet then to go get her a uniform and a nametag, and the blonde waitress scurried off. Leo turned back to his new employee. "What's yer name, hun?"

"Elizabeth," she told him.

He bobbed his head. "Well 'Lizabeth, ya think you can start t'night? F'you can't then tomorrow'll be fine."

A bit surprised and nerves fluttering abruptly all throughout her body, Buffy gulped but answered in the affirmative. "I c-can start tonight."

Harriet arrived back, a small uniform shirt in her hand and a blank nametag. Leo gestured from her to Elizabeth. "She's gonna start t'night. You can train her while yer workin, can't ya?"

Harriet nodded immediately, "Sure thing, Leo. C'mon, sugar," she took Buffy's hand, "Let's get you an apron."

As the woman tugged her away, Elizabeth barely had a shot to say thank you to her new boss before she was dragged into a closet sized dressing room. Harriet handed over her things and said, "Alright now get into this, your jeans'll do just fine for this job. We ain't real formal in here. All you gotta do's make sure you're wearing the yellow blouse when you're workin."

Buffy nodded and breathed out a shaky sigh. Her feet suddenly felt weighted down. God, tonight was going to be stressing. Maybe saying that she could start right away wasn't the best idea.

Harriet set a gentle hand on her shoulder and squeezed. "Don't you worry, now. You'll get the hang f'this place in no time. And you've waitressed before so as soon as you get into a rhythm, you'll do just fine."

Buffy smiled as fine as she could at the older woman, and then looked down at her uniform. Harriet left the dressing room and said she'd be waiting right outside, and that Elizabeth could put her bag on the top shelf in the thin locker that was present amongst the purses and other items in the small room.

A few large bags overflowing with clothes and personal items like hairbrushes were lying around on the floor in the cramped space. Buffy assumed the things belonged to the other workers, and she realized just how much the people in this diner (if not in this town, as well) trusted each other. If Buffy were a thief, she could get away with about four wallets and what looked like a gold bracelet hanging out of a large red purse. She wasn't usually quite so carefree about her personal items, but knew that her bag would be safe in here.

Buffy started unbuttoning her white shirt. She'd just gotten it, and honestly didn't know why she'd even worn it in the first place. Grams had bought it a day ago, claiming she'd seen it at a store in town and immediately thought of her.

Accepting the gift with a thank you and hug, Buffy hadn't told her Grams that she most likely wasn't going to wear it too often. Maybe if nothing else was clean, or a few times to please her grandmother, but otherwise she hadn't a reason. The blouse was soft white cotton, a tiny bit of lace design lining the row of small buttons. It fit like a glove and drew attention to her chest and waist, and the buttons didn't close higher than just above her breasts.

She'd stopped wearing things that drew attention to herself a while ago because really, she'd stopped caring very much about style and had started to prefer comfort over cuteness. Her pullovers and jeans and sweatpants were perfect. Yet she'd worn this blouse today, why? Maybe because she'd been hoping to see a certain blue-eyed Brit, who might just take notice.

Well, that had failed; and now she was going to have to squeeze into another button down blouse, but this one wasn't as soft and was boring yellow instead of fresh white. Oh well, at least it wasn't going to draw much attention, that was for sure.

A couple of minutes later, dressed and ready, she peeked her head out the door and Harriet smiled kindly at her.

"Great. Now here," she walked over to Elizabeth, holding a black sharpie in one hand. She started writing on the clip-on nametag. "E L I Z A B E T H, right?"

Buffy nodded and looked up at the woman bending over her boob, pressing the plastic tag into her chest as she spelled out the name. Buffy almost laughed. Harriet was very forward and welcoming, behaving like a well-known friend instead of a new acquaintance.

"Ya gotta a nickname?" She asked.

Buffy shook her head. "No."

"Well, that's okay. This'll fit just fine." She finished the tag and Buffy noticed the "H" in her proper name almost fell off the edge of the plastic.

Harriet stood straight, capping the marker and smiling once again. "You ready to get started, sugar?"

"I'm ready." *As I'll ever be.*

"Great." She handed Buffy an apron and then lead the way out through the busy kitchen. "Now don't you worry 'bout a thing tonight, I'm workin a double so I'll be here til closin. And since I'm trainin you, we both get to do things extra slow. Mikey and other girls will take over some of my tables in exchange for yours."

"Okay." Her nerves were starting to flutter again.

"But first," Harriet grabbed a plate off of the counter and showed Buffy a turkey club sandwich. "You wanna eat? Ya did order this, and now it'll be on the house if you want it 'fore ya start workin."

A little weight lifted off of Buffy's shoulders even as she declined the considerate offer. "Thanks, b-but I'm not really hungry anymore."

She hadn't been very eager about the idea of eating anything when she'd first walked into the diner either, but now she refused to take even a bite. She might feel a little better with this nice and friendly woman helping her to get used to her new job, but Buffy's stomach roiled at the thought of food right now.

Harriet just nodded. "Alright, then let's get started."

Buffy took a deep breath and followed the woman out, picking up a clean notepad and pencil as Harriet explained where the orders went after they were written down, which tables they'd be working tonight, and how to act should anyone stare.

"Stare?"

"You're new to town, darlin," Harriet explained, revealing the fact she knew a little bit about Buffy's life. "Any newbie is gonna be looked over like one, especially in a town this small. Don't worry though, no one'll be mean or nothin; but they're gonna look. They might even ask 'bout yer life and whatnot. Just smile and answer vaguely, and then take their orders. They'll tip nicely the more ya smile, too." She winked.

"Great," Buffy said derisively. "Just great."

Harriet grinned at her. "Don't worry. I promise, you'll get the hang of it in no time."

With another deep breath, Buffy walked over to her first table after Harriet showed her the spot where plates were set once they were ready to be served, or had been retrieved from a customer.

The air was scented in perfumes of spice and grease, surprisingly not an unappealing smell. Laughter echoed throughout the space, and smiling faces were everywhere around. Buffy didn't feel... a part of it. But she didn't feel very alone either. Actually, she felt sort of isolated, like a needle hidden within that proverbial haystack. And Harriet was watching over her like a mother hawk. It wasn't horrible, to tell the truth.

She found herself slipping back into familiar territory, and the role of a waitress soon fit again. Just like when she'd worked at that restaurant back home. Memories threatened to seep inward, but then she was writing things down. Carrying a tray, refilling water glasses, smiling a greeting.

The first group was a success, her tip a small percent of the bill. And as she cleaned off that first tabletop, awaiting the ring of "Order up, table fifteen!" to be shouted through the diner so she could serve another set of customers, Buffy thought that just maybe she could do this.
End Notes:
Please review! I'm really nervous the wording wasn't flowing well for this one and feedback is always appreciated! :)
Chapter 14: Feuding and Greeting by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
So here is chapter fourteen, i hope you enjoy! Thanks for the reviews and for reading :)
It was ten o'clock when Dylan finally broke up the fighting.

A slightly violent scuffle occurred after Spike had endured more teasing than any being could bear (much less him) when Blake met the feline of the house (or "Princess," as he had named her).

The "adults" were separated by Stevo afterwards, to prevent another physical altercation.

The following hours were filled with an abundance of arguing, a detailed recount of Flora's attack, researching, and the dead asleep snoring from Ace and Rex in the living room.

Everyone needed a break by nine PM.

But they'd pushed it another hour. Now it was ten, and all of them were at the boiling point.

"Blake, you and me. We're getting food and bringing it back," Dylan declared, shutting his laptop and rubbing three fingers against one temple, his eyes closed in fatigue. "Maybe we can all clear our heads a bit by taking a break from this."

Stevo nodded agreeably, sending a glare in Blake's direction when he rolled his eyes. "He's right. And maybe one of use will get an idea of what Dru's vision meant if we give our minds a break."

"We have been looking up crap about this elusive vampire power gem for the last five hours," Blake replied, his tone steeped in exasperation. "There is nothing on the internet except what we already know- Stories and supposed facts from only three books in Dylan's ENTIRE library, and even those didn't help us. The info is obsolete."

"Hey," Dylan shouted, indignation clear in his voice. "That 'info' has all been magically loaded into that computer from hundreds of ancient texts and stolen tomes. Some of them aren't even available at the Watcher's Council Headquarters anymore! Everything you read on there is not 'obsolete,' as a matter of fact-"

"I only meant that the stuff we're reading isn't helping us," Blake interjected. "It's all just legends."

"So's your gene pool," Spike said. He glowered when Blake sent a silent "fuck you" look his way. "Yet, here you stand. So stop being so bloody difficult and just go out an get the food. We'll need it when sleeping beauties one and two wake up."

Blake rolled his eyes again but left obediently, following Dylan to get their coats.

"What's still open here," the latter questioned.

"The diner in town, place called Leonard's. Doors won't shut til midnight."

"Kinda late for a tiny town like this," Stevo pointed out.

Spike shrugged. "Guess people like to stop in late from time to time. Like you two are 'bout to right now. Just take the main pathway, it isn't hard to find the square."

"Square?" Blake asked.

It was Dylan's turn to roll his eyes. "Town square, idiot." He opened the front door and left, leaving Blake behind a little bemused.

"Did he just call me an idiot?"

Stevo smiled a little, his tired eyes glinting. "Now do you agree that we've all been working too hard? Dylan's calling people names, and not because he just found out his friend has a pet kitty cat."

Spike growled quietly and left the room. "One-track minded berks."

Blake cracked a smile before leaving, shutting the door while Stevo stood there and chuckled.
"C'mon man, it's not like they didn't like her!"

"Bugger off!"

Spike went back to the kitchen, the place which had been research central for the past few hours. Dylan's computer sat atop a small table near the wall, the island in the middle of the room was littered with old books and pieces of paper with scribbles of ideas and theories. It wasn't Flora who posed the greatest threat- though her use of strong magicks and obvious power was alarming -but the unknown which had everyone most on edge. Flora could just be a part of it somehow.

Going off of what they had and trying to figure out what it all meant was difficult, to say the least. Dru hadn't called with any more information on visions or intuitions, so all the men knew was to research the Gem of Amara and try and find out the background story on Flora. Maybe find the witch she'd gotten the lead-weight net from in New Orleans. There were who knew how many voodoo shops and at least fifty practicing witches who sold to customers in that entire city, and those were just the ones listed online. Black markets, unlisted witches- and fakes for that matter -were things that fogged up the search immeasurably.

Ace was taking over phone duty for calling the lovely practicing people of New Orleans when he finally woke up, whether he bloody liked it or not. Spike's ribs may be healing, but it didn't mean he wouldn't use them as an excuse to get out of this cringe-worthy project. Dealing with a bunch of cheery store owners and witches with annoyingly thick Cajun accents was more irritating than taking jibes about his cat.

Spike didn't even know if he was suitably describing Flora to them, though it did help when he explained she was a vampire- WHEN the people weren't fakes and actually knew and believed in vampires. Still, no leads.

He contemplated searching for the bloke's place where Flora said her brother had been staying. Maybe he'd left something behind.

Or maybe the rib-crushing bint herself was even sleeping there until she could get her revenge, but something told Spike it was a dead end. She was too smart to go someplace she might be vulnerable, and it was doubtful she'd leave anything of her brother's behind that might be valuable or could reveal any secrets she might want kept hidden.

Another thing Spike and the guys tried was messing with that bloody net. Stevo had already gone back and fetched it, to see if he could do a tracer spell and maybe get a location on the witch who'd sold it, or possibly even Flora.

Unfortunately, the thing had dried up and shriveled to a fried crisp the second the spell was tried. Evidently, it was protected against anything that could be used to track its maker's or owner's whereabouts. That's what Stevo had said after he'd tried his spell. The gypsy was thoroughly impressed, and everyone else disgruntled.

The only thing they could really go off of or work on was finding out more about the Gem, though that was obviously easier said than done. Stevo had started looking through spells in a diary he kept, a thick old book passed down to him that was filled with curses and herbs and spells, and just about everything else magick related that anyone had ever written down in his family. Stevo was looking for something he could use, or possibly re-create, to try and find the Gem of Amara- if it even existed. However, the diary wasn't color coded or indexed, and Stevo wasn't even halfway done reading through it.

It was one of the very few things the gypsy had brought with him. His bag- packed with clothes, the diary, and not much more -had been tossed aside by the house when he'd arrived and heard Spike's shouts. His bag was retrieved only after meeting "Princess" later on.

Spike grumbled. He hated fucking Blake sometimes.

But oh, the cat didn't. Nope. She loved the attention she was getting from everyone, at her owners' expense of course. Even Dylan liked mocking Spike, though the nit hadn't dropped the little furball for fifteen minutes after picking her up.

Dylan loved animals, but never got a pet, mostly because he was always so busy travelling and learning. Collecting books and working on computers from time to time for extra cash, while still living off of an almost century old inheritance from an uncle which he'd invested with so well, it had never run out.

And in all of Dylan's books, only one of them vaguely pointed out where the elusive Gem of Amara might be located. Coincidentally, it said somewhere in the south-eastern United States.

Frustrating was a bleeding understatement.

But on top of everything,- the stress, his mates, the work, the phone calls -the worst part of all this was the fact that he couldn't go to the library.

He missed his books and he missed the quiet of the third floor, but most of all, Spike missed his girl.

Buffy had been flashing through his mind since he'd last seen her. The day after Flora showed up, Spike awoke to a wounded chest and an aching ribcage, and Buffy was the first thought to enter his mind. How was she, would she be going to the library today, would she expect to see him, was she looking forward to it?

It had taken him quite a while to shake the thoughts of her long enough to concentrate well on anything else. Then Stevo and him were preparing for the others to arrive. Stevo was calling Dru back in England, and Spike was stocking up on food (which a third of, was already devoured now), and the time to think about Buffy had been when he was alone or trying to ignore the gypsy's teasing comments about the bloody kitten. Or in random flashes, where for a brief moment before he shook it off, she occupied his mind and Spike's attention was lost completely.

Then the others had arrived, and Spike was still missing her like crazy. He kept thinking about her in that dress, the way she'd looked and walked, her eyes and that beautiful smile. The blush he loved on her. Her kisses... Christ, it felt like his nerves melted when he thought about her. Her lips were warm, rich, soft, pushing him to the limit. Her small hands strong yet delicate.

He pressed his teeth together subconsciously, and when Stevo walked in the room, the vamp was very grateful that the man wasn't an empath.

"Spike," Stevo strode through the kitchen, a tiny fluff of fur and green eyes in one hand. "Wanna feed your feline? She's been following me around upstairs meowing and looking at me like I'm her mama cat."

Spike smiled in spite of himself and took the kitten from the gypsy's hand, raising an eyebrow when he noticed Stevo keeping his hand poised beneath her until Spike had her pressed securely against his chest.

*Looks like I'm not the only one who's wrapped around a kitten's tail.*

As he went to the counter he set the animal down on the smooth surface and started mixing a tiny bowl of kitten formula. "Any luck with the book," he asked the man behind him.

"Not yet. Though I did find a spell or two that you could use to find someone without need of a personal item."

Spike glanced at him over his shoulder. "So can we use one of em to find this Flora bint?"

"They can't be used on vampires. Only ghosts and humans."

Spike groaned and mumbled to himself. "If only I could turn the bitch into a ghost, that'd be perfect."

"I might be able to change some things around and make one of them work for a vampire, but I'm not sure. I don't know where to start and it would take me a while."

Spike sighed. "You think it's worth the-"

"Well, I'll be damned."

Rex entered the room with the newly risen look of a man who'd just had one damn good sleep. He stood in the doorway wearing nothing but a pair of worn in jeans.

"Yeah, you probably will, friend." Stevo walked up to the man who stood at only an inch shorter than himself, and cuffed him on the shoulder in a friendly hello. "Mornin."

Rex only glanced at him before looking back at Spike, and the countertop. "You got a pet didn't you."

The vamp internally sighed. *Here we go again,* he thought. "Yeh, I did. An you can bypass the shite you're ready ta give me 'cause I already got it from the other three morons." He finished the milk and then pushed it over to his eager kitty cat, who immediately started lapping up the formula.

Stevo was chuckling again, and Rex's face held one of the largest grins Spike had ever seen on the temperamental man. "William the Bloody... has a kitten," he said with a voice full of giddy declaration, the undertone of tease thick enough to taste. "This is just too good."

Rolling his blue eyes heavenward, Spike ignored the idiot. Looking back down at the kitten who was licking her chops, he felt both like smiling and slapping himself. But when Rex asked if she had a name, arms crossed over a chest trembling with laughter, Spike only sighed and answered, "No."

"That's not true," Stevo proclaimed. "Blake calls her Princess."

The vampire groaned, "An that's not her name."

"Well then what is her name, 'Dad?'"

Spike sent the thunderbird a cutting glare. Before a nasty comment could be made, the topic of conversation hopped off the counter and walked her furry little self over to Rex's feet, and started playing with his bare toes.

"Ah! Hey-" The tall brunette jumped back as if scalded. He gave the feline a frown and looked over at a smiling Spike. "Does she always do that?"

"What, you afraid of her?"

Rex glared and just gave him a look that said he was a halfwit, before flinching again at the feel of a sandpaper tongue against his big toe. He took a step to the side.

"I think she likes you," Stevo announced.

"Yeah," Spike added. "Must like the taste of bird."

Rex huffed and scooped the furry animal up in one hand, his fingers wrapping all the way around her little body. He stared at the feline and said, "Yeah? Well I happen to be hungry, and kittens might not be bad snacks."

The kitty just purred. Spike, knowing that Rex would never eat a fucking CAT no matter how many other demons would agree with his previous statement, stood his ground and smirked when the kitten licked the over-towering man on the nose.

Stevo laughed. "She seems to think you might make a good snack, too."

Grumbling, Rex dropped her on her feet before striding to the refrigerator. "Ace is still out but he'll want coffee when he wakes up," he stated as a conversation changer, "and if he doesn't get it then we'll all be dealing with a bear." He opened the freezer door and examined the contents. "Got any steak, Spike?"

"Steak? Goin all out for breakfast, are you?"

"It's ten in the evening."

"Yeah, lucky you and Ace sleep like the dead. The lot of us 'ave been screamin at each other like banshees all bloody day."

"And it will just get better with you up and about," Stevo chimed in with a sardonic smile.

"Where are the other two?" Rex asked, ignoring that comment and opening up the fridge door next. "Dylan should be on the computer and Blake should be making sarcastic comments that grate on my nerves."

Stevo walked up to the refrigerator and shut the open door. "They went to get some food from a place in town, for everyone," he said. "I don't think a steak will be needed, save it for later when we don't have time to head out. God knows we'll all be up 'til the sun rises."

The two men standing next to each other looked almost like they could be related. They both had darker complexions, though Stevo's was bronze toned while Rex's was more russet. Their builds were equally powerful, tall, and muscled throughout; and their faces showed resemblances, from the straight and wide noses to the shape of the eyes. However, where the gypsy had honey-brown colors, Rex's eyes were more yellow, almost golden. People often asked him if he wore contacts. And while Stevo had shaggy black hair that framed his face, Rex had short chestnut brown that let his strong jaw stand out.

Rex may have Native American blood in his veins, but a lot of him was English and mutt, too, like Stevo.

The thunderbird sighed. "When'd they leave? I just woke up from a sixteen hour rest, that's a long time without eating. Especially for me."

"We know you're a carnivore with needs, friend. Just be patient. In the meantime I'll make coffee. It sounds good right about now." Stevo went to the stove, always the helpful mediator.

Spike watched Rex sigh again and sit down on one of the stools surrounding the island. The kitchen became quiet except for the sounds of Martinov filling the percolator with water. The sink running, then shutting off. A cabinet opening and closing. The stillness surrounded only Spike, his mind wandered yet again to Buffy as Rex stared at the feline playing with her tail on the floor.

With a thunderbird sitting at his kitchen island, and a gypsy making coffee while they waited for another immortal to wake up and an empath and a half-demon to come back with food, Spike felt he really didn't have a right to miss her. A human. His Buffy... Someone who couldn't fit into this world, his life... someone who most likely wouldn't want to.

He wouldn't blame her, but he couldn't let her go.

But maybe, now... if he started distancing himself now- No. He couldn't. He couldn't leave her. The girl needed someone, and if she needed him he'd stay and be there. Spike just didn't know what was going to happen between them. Sooner or later he might have to tell her what he was, and then she would leave.

*But what if she doesn't,* Spike thought.

It was unlikely. Ridiculous. Any sane person would run for their lives.

*You wouldn't. If the situation were reversed.*

It was true. He wouldn't. He already loathed the thought of leaving her in THIS situation, if he were in hers he wouldn't care if she wasn't human. He'd only care about HER. Obviously she cared about him.

Spike knew she wasn't using him as an outlet for her grief, the girl was barely able to talk about her past let alone use someone to forget about it or drop it on them like a tearstained anvil. Buffy talked to him because she liked to, she confided in him because she could and he could handle it, she kissed him because she had feelings for him. She looked at him with a happy sparkle in her eye. She teased him because it was fun. Buffy liked him, she would get attached; Spike already knew he was.

He just didn't know if he was lying to himself, or what if he was just plain wrong? If she truly wouldn't go running for her life should she find out he was a vampire, then Spike was left to wrestle with the question of: Did he have a right to do that to her?

He would explain everything from the start, if they got serious and the time came where he told her what he was then he'd lay it all out on the table for her. He'd let her choose. But was it fair to allow her to get any closer to him without telling her first that he was a demon? A monster? A heartless bastard who had killed and tortured and maimed for years in the past?

Spike would not make the decision for her, that was not his right, and he wanted her so much already that if he got in any deeper he knew he wouldn't be able to push her away. Not for very long, at least.

Yet if he continued this thing with Buffy without telling her the facts about himself, and she chose to disappear from his life after he DID tell her, Buffy would be broken up over leaving. No matter what people say, they always manage to get attached to others in their lives. It's inevitable. And feelings are already there for the two of them, they would only get stronger over time. Giving her the whole truth, even a month from now, could cause her pain just if she chose to separate herself from Spike because of what he was. But if he told her sooner...

She still might go. It wouldn't hurt as bad, though. For either of them.

But she needed him. He wouldn't abandon her. And he couldn't lose her.

Spike sighed.

Rock. Hard place. Perfect bloody setup.

"Why is there a stray poker chip running around your kitchen?"

Ace's grouse cut through his tumult of unwelcome thoughts, and Spike noticed the immortal standing in the doorway, looking very much the tired un-caffeinated male who was accustomed to no less than six cups of coffee a day (at least two of which were consumed in the morning). "Not a chip, mate," Spike said with another sigh, this one drenched with weariness.

Ace looked at the vamp, and then back at the kitten on the ground. He stared unblinkingly for two seconds before his brain- which was only awake enough to control slow body movements and work the voice box -decided it needed its regular juice before attempting to work out the reason why there was a kitten in his soulless vampire friend's kitchen.

He looked at Stevo and grumbled, "Coffee."

The gypsy nodded. "Already on. Should be done in a couple minutes."

Ace nodded and walked over to a stool, plopping down gratefully across from Rex who chuckled. "Virtual zombie."

"Do I look dead to you, Tweety?"

The thunderbird glared, his yellow eyes flashing dark for a split second. "You wanna be?" He hated being called nicknames.

Stevo rolled his eyes and turned off the stove. "Shut up, the both of you."

"Yeh," Spike added. "You know Rex is sensitive 'bout that bird nature a his."

The man in question scowled. "Maybe I will eat your cat."

"Try it and I'll clip your wings."

"Enough!" Stevo ordered. "I am not going to tear you two apart like I had to do with Blake and you earlier, Spike. I'll let you bite into Rex's throat and I'll let him snap your neck a couple of times before I even think to intervene." He slammed a mug down on the countertop, his face exasperated and edgy. "I am hungry and irritated. You can fight once I've had some coffee and Dylan and Blake get back."

Ace didn't even flinch, just blinked his tired eyes and then grinned contentedly when Stevo placed a cup of steaming black liquid in front of him.

Spike and Rex had to hold in amused snorts. Instead of arguing anymore though, the latter just asked, "Can I get some coffee?"

Ace growled a little at that. "I call that pot. I'm not going to run out because I'm sharing with you."

Rex jeered and flipped a hand in exasperation. "Stev is having a cup!"

"He made it. He gets one."

"Thank God m'not a big coffee drinker." Spike smirked at Rex as he passed to get a bloodbag from the fridge.

Ace continued drinking, becoming more and more alert with each sip of the hot brew. He walked away from his stool and downed the last bit of coffee, going to get another cupful.

Ace stood at Spike's height, but that was where their resemblances ended. He had brunette hair with natural auburn streaks that were only noticeable in direct light, his eyes were so dark they were almost black, the pupils barely distinguishable. He carried a friendly air about him that contrasted sharply with most of the other men's personalities, especially Spike's. His build was sinewy, he had a long torso and powerful arms strengthened from lugging around crates, as he loved to sail and got paid to do it while working on cargo ships.

And he loved his coffee. The bloke had drunk two more cups before finally asking, "So what's with the cat?"

Stevo again, couldn't help himself from laughing, and Rex was happy to explain. "Oh, she's Spike's pet."

Ace's eyes widened. "Pet?" He looked at the kitten rolling around on the ground. "Like a companion for lonely old widows? That sort of pet?"

"Hey!"

Ace raised an eyebrow at Spike's outburst. "Ya that lonely, pal?"

"Piss off, flu bug," he growled.

"Hey! You and I both know I never use that power."

It was true, though Ace did have the power (thanks to his demon father) to make people, animals, and a lot of fellow supernatural creatures ill with a simple touch or chant should he wish it, he never did. He'd stopped using the ability centuries ago and got rather defensive whenever it was brought up.

It didn't mean Spike couldn't use it as a jibe, of course. "Just don't get the tabby sick and I won't wring your neck."

Ace actually stopped and smiled then. He looked at the floor and scooped the animal up in his large hands. "Good luck livin with this guy, whiskers."

"Oh no," said Rex. "Her name's Princess."

"Okay, I'm sorry, I can't leave this one alone. Spike. Did you really name her-"

"No, you wanker! I didn't name her at all, Blake soddin called her that."

"Oh," he chuckled, sitting down again and setting the kitten on the island. "Okay, then I know he's just screwing around, but if you had actually named her that I'd start asking when was the last time you'd gotten laid."

Spike clenched his jaw and changed to game face. He ripped into the cold bloodbag in his hand and drank deeply, craving a good kill but taking the bloody snack as a replacement. It wasn't releasing any tension but took the edge off a bit. When he was done he wiped his mouth clean with his forearm, and his ears tuned in again to the conversation around him.

"So where did the other two go?" Ace questioned.

"Diner," Stevo replied. "Picking up food. They should be back shortly."

><

Buffy was tired, her feet hurt, her head ached from listening to people chatter at her and ask her questions. It was getting harder and harder to focus on smiling and actually listening to some of the things they all said. The orders she could do, and had actually gotten so fast at placing them and multitasking, that Harriet had allowed her to continue without keeping an eye out. Three tables were all Buffy's. She still shared the responsibility of three others with Harriet, who also had four more of her own to serve, but Elizabeth was getting good quick.

It still didn't mean this job was easy. Buffy had been asked about herself, and then her grandmother, too many times to count. She always smiled; and thank God teenagers were still out and about at this time because they didn't question her at all, just looked her up and down in an assessing way and ordered their meals.

It was the older couples who gave her the most trouble. Them and the families, or girlfriends who were out to dinner while their husbands were working. Buffy had never heard so many warm endearments in her life.

Many people asked her last name, and then would exclaim that she looked exactly like her grandmother- Fortunately no one here knew her mom, or at least they didn't remember her all that well because no one brought her up. Which was good, Buffy didn't think she could handle that tonight.

However, everyone must know about what had happened, because she'd heard so many concerned and almost pitiful "How have you been doin, darlin's" that Buffy felt like her head might explode. But of course, she always replied politely, and then very quickly asked if they were ready to order yet. When they said no, she claimed she had to go to another table.

One time that hadn't worked. The set of female customers had kept her trapped with conversation and actually asked her to take her hair down for them, and when she finally did, they'd exclaimed "what a beauty she was!" Buffy accepted the compliment wholesomely, though a part of her did absently wonder if she'd gone back half a century or two in time.

*"What a beauty?" I mean really?*

It was going on ten thirty now and she was ready to get home. She'd just gotten off a much needed break, a cup of hot cocoa and some toast in her belly. Buffy felt a little better but seriously wanted to get away. Her thoughts had been preoccupied with not messing anything up, and images of Spike that brought bitter sweetness. She needed to get home.

But this was her job now, and she wasn't going to do it half-assed. She wasn't going to ask to skip out early on the first day or anger anyone. She'd just have to plow through. Besides, money needed to be earned and then saved. This job would work.

Unfortunately, her butterfly filled stomach hadn't calmed enough to allow for anything but dry toast to enter it. That and of course something chocolaty, which had added up to that weird combination of toast and hot cocoa. Harriet hadn't said anything about it, though.

Just then the tall smiling waitress approached Buffy. The woman had been working for hours, but that smile had yet to wane. "Finished up, sugar?"

"Yep," Buffy stretched her arms a little above her head, bracing herself to get started again. "I'm ready."

"Okay, well I'm gonna get you behind the counter, okay? Your tables will go to Susie now."

Buffy felt a sudden pang of disappointment and a little shame. Had she screwed something up? Everyone she'd served had seemed happy with her. "D-Did I do something wrong?" She couldn't help asking, or the little half-lip raise that happened when she did. It was her self-conscious face.

Harriet beamed disarmingly and shook her head. "No dear, no. I just want you to learn how to man the counter should ya need to. It's a lot easier than waitin tables, and you need to learn how to use the cash register."

"Oh." Buffy blew out a relieved breath, and idly wondered why she'd cared about how she came off while waitressing as long as she wasn't fired.

Harriet's statement normally wouldn't have gotten the reaction from her that it had, and Buffy realized that she was happy she'd done well with waiting her tables. She wouldn't normally care about something like that. At all.

Weird.

Buffy followed the older waitress to the cash register. The counter was a long, yellow surface that matched their work blouses. Except it was shiny clean. There were some truckers drinking coffee and eating huge plates filled with food sitting on four stools, a man in overalls having tea and a BLT, and one young girl enjoying a banana split at the end. The cash register was an old looking thing made out of shiny brownish metal, not electronic. Harriet showed Elizabeth how to use it, and once Buffy got it down, the woman explained that sometimes the drawer stuck so you had to elbow it to get it back open.

"Right," she grunted, "here," and banged her elbow against the side of the machine, the drawer popping open with a ding a second after. "See? Just bang it there nice and hard and you'll do fine. But don't use the palm of your hand, for some reason it only works with an elbow."

Buffy looked warily at the large contraption and nodded. "Okay. Whatever you say."

Harriet smiled yet again. "If ya need me, just holler." She placed a hand on Buffy's shoulder. "And I MEAN holler. No one's gonna think nothin of it if ya yell in this place, but they will get annoyed if there's no one behind the counter to take their orders." She winked, and left Buffy to her station.

The girl blew out a breath and looked at the coffee pots behind her. She knew how to work them, but fortunately there were already two fresh pots full and hot for refills. She grabbed the black rimmed coffeepot, wrinkling her nose at the red one that said "DECAF" on its label, and turned around to face one of the men at the counter.

"Would you like some more coffee? Okay." She poured. She poured another to the man sitting at the far end of the counter. She took away the empty bowl from the little girl with ice cream on her face and accepted the pile of coins she offered as payment with a smile. Buffy worked well behind the counter, just as she had with the tables, and when she opened up the cash register for the third time and the drawer stuck, she used her elbow to get it open again.

Not much time passed, and she didn't notice what with her buzzing around like a bee. Two men, in addition to the little girl, had left, but three more customers sat and took their places. She was practically on automatic, just refilling a mug for a nice old gentleman when two bickering voices poked through her tired concentration.

"I shouldn't have followed you. You can't tell your ass from a hole in the ground, much less a main road from a bike trail."

"Calm down, we got here didn't we?"

"Not with your help. Remind me next time to take Rex, he at least knows direction."

"Well of course he does, the guy has nothing better to do than worry about flying into windows."

Buffy frowned, and figured that last part hadn't meant to be overheard since it was hushed. She shook her head and finished filling her customer's mug, then went to the old man holding up a hand at the other end of the counter.

"Coffee?" she asked.

"Decaf, please."

"Sure." Buffy went to switch out pots and when she did, a bright and delighted voice suddenly caught her attention.

"Holy hell, where did you come from, gorgeous?"

Buffy turned with the red rimmed coffeepot in hand, and she met the blue-green glittery eyes of a tall brunette. The man was very attractive, and had a smile that was straight and charming. His demeanor said womanizer as plainly as if it was written all over him in sharpie, while inky black hair added an element of mystery to him. He was staring at her like she was a yummy little dessert ready to be devoured.

The guy made her want to get his order placed as quickly as possible.

"I'll be with you in just a minute," Buffy said. She went to pour her waiting customer his decaf and didn't notice when the black-haired stranger followed her down the length of the counter.

He watched her until she finished serving, then said, "A pretty face pouring coffee, now that's my kinda girl."

An internal sigh. "It's decaf," she said regrettably, then walked away again.

The man only followed. "Ah, not real coffee, then." He shrugged, "I'll settle."

When he reached the cash register where Buffy stood expectantly waiting for an order to be placed, a dark blonde with a warm countenance and eyes to match looked at her and smiled apologetically. He was everything his friend wasn't, not so forward and much friendlier looking. His face was kind and his eyes brown, reminding Buffy of a puppy's. He took off his thin glasses and stuck them in his coat pocket before scowling at his companion.

"Not now, Blake," he said in an exasperated tone.

"Now seems like the perfect time," he replied, never taking his eyes off of Buffy. Eyes she wished were ice blue.

Gulping and rearranging her wishful thoughts, Buffy stood her ground. She so didn't want to deal with this right now. "Can I take your order?"

"Yes, you can," Blake replied, "but first you have to tell me when you get off work."

Buffy scoffed, and fought back that headache she already felt coming on. She had just felt it waning due to her coffee runs back and forth, the smell of the black liquid always relieving stress for her very well.

There wasn't enough coffee in the diner to make this one go away. "Sorry. Can't. And I have other customers, so place your order guys," she spoke with finality.

"Blake, just hand her the list."

"I will, Dylan." The brunette smiled at Buffy again and looked at her nametag. "Elizabeth? Pretty name." He retrieved a slip of paper from his coat, the list he and Dylan had made for their rather plentiful order on the way here. He played with the paper in his hand for a moment. "It's a pretty long list," he said. "My friends need nourishment, and well, they're big guys."

Buffy took the offered slip and said, not ungratefully, "At least you saved me the trouble of writing it down." She heaved a quiet sigh. "To-go, I assume?"

He nodded and then winked at her. She raised an eyebrow, suddenly needing to start serving other people coffee again or something. Just to get away. It wasn't that he was giving off bad vibes or anything, she just wasn't interested in the least. Not to mention the fact that chatting with a customer? So not something she enjoyed.

Buffy quickly walked to the kitchen with the paper in hand and gave it to Leonard, the boss who'd been friendly to her over the last few hours, especially after seeing her work efficiently. "Um, these guys came in with a big to-go order," she said, "I figured I should give it to you so you didn't start making ten T-bones and wondering if the place suddenly had tigers for customers or something."

Leonard smiled at Buffy, slightly crooked but bright white teeth gleaming in the kitchen lights. "Thanks, honey. I'll get this order made up, you just go on and tell those fellas to be patient."

She nodded, smiling a little bit as she walked away. Leonard reminded her of her grandpa, and he was very nice. He made her laugh and feel somewhat relaxed instead of sending her mind on unpleasant wandering.

When she got back to the counter, the two men hadn't left. Blake actually reminded her of a tiger, his predatory dexterity showing in every inch of his stance. While his friend, apparently Dylan, was looking tired, and yet also a little amused.

When she passed to bring a customer his change, Blake smiled at her again. His grin was dripping allure. "Do you know how long the wait'll be, dollface?"

*Oh, for the love of-*

Buffy was sweaty, her feet hurt, she'd been up for hours, her ponytail was frizzy- Yeah. She was a real 'doll' right now. "About twenty to thirty minutes," she told him quickly, a very little edge to her voice that she couldn't help.

Blake blinked at her, and she heard Dylan laughing just before she walked away.

Buffy studiously avoided them for the rest of the wait, and fortunately, Mr. Flirt seemed to get the message that she wasn't in the mood to deal with him, and so he didn't say anything else. Buffy didn't even feel his eyes on her very much. Once in a while she'd glance over if she thought he was staring, but never caught him, so she just kept working.

When she realized disappointingly that she should probably ask the men if they wanted anything while they waited, she was saved as their order was finally called. Buffy carried two large brown paper sacks over and rang them up. Offering a tight lipped smile and a goodbye when they left, Dylan sent a pleasant grin her way while Blake gave a smirk and another wink.

She sighed when they were finally out the door, and went back to her other customers. It was almost eleven and the diner was noticeably calming down. People were leaving and two waitresses got off work, along with a busboy. The night was, thank God, coming to a close.

><

"I really don't think I've ever seen you get the brush-off from a girl before, Blake."

The other four males sitting in the living room all heard the voices of their friends as soon as Blake and Dylan entered the house. Their ears perked with interest as a conversation unfolded in front of them, one man amused and the other exasperated by the joy.

"And as I just told you, Dylan," Blake replied as patiently as possible. "It's happened. Not often," he raised a finger to make his point. "Seldom. Very seldom. So seldom in fact that you've never witnessed it."

The blonde man laughed. "Ya know, she wasn't just annoyed by you, but she honestly didn't even have the time for you. She was practically indifferent."

"She was busy."

Dylan only chuckled, and then when he saw everyone piled into the living room on the mattress and the couch, he smiled even wider. "Hey, look who's up! We can tell them all the story now!"

Blake rolled his eyes and dropped a large paper bag in the center of the guys, and then took the one Dylan was holding and deposited that too. Stevo and Rex eagerly grabbed for the food, while Ace sat Indian style looking at Dylan expectantly. Spike was sprawled on the couch, he took a white Styrofoam container of buffalo wings from Stevo and waited for Dylan to continue.

"You're practically bouncing, man, " Ace said. "C'mon, spill."

Dylan smirked. "Blake met a pretty waitress at the diner."
Just then, the empath groaned and said, "Give me my food," as he removed his jacket and plopped down on the mattress.

Spike bit into a spicy wing. "Yeah? He shag her in the bathroom or outside somewhere?"

"Neither," Dylan proclaimed. "She brushed him off."

Rex blinked.
Ace stopped reaching for his food. "What?"
Stevo's eyebrows rose.

Spike just snickered, his eyes twinkling. "Oh really?" He took another bite out of a spicy wing. "Please, tell us more."

Dylan started but Blake cut him off, his pride shot to its halfway point already. "Oh I'll do it, you'll just manage to make it seem worse than it was."

Dylan held up his hands in acceptance and sat down, reaching for his meal and a can of soda.

"So we walk into the diner, go up to the counter, right?" Blake grabbed his takeout container and accepted one of the steak knives Rex had just retrieved from the kitchen. "Thanks- So anyway, we walk in and Dylan's arguing with me 'cause we took a wrong turn-"

"Told you they got lost," Ace interjected.

Blake ignored him and continued. "When Dylan finally shuts his mouth for a minute, I notice the girl working behind the counter. Not gonna lie, I haven't seen a chick who was that beautiful and not on a magazine cover in a while."

Stevo regarded his friend with a little surprise. "You sound genuine on that."

He nodded and spoke around a mouthful of food, "I am." Blake swallowed. "She's gorgeous. Blonde hair tied up in a ponytail, kinda short but ridiculously cute in her own way, this button nose..."

Spike sat up, licking sauce from his fingers. He frowned at the description of this waitress, something sounding just a little bit too familiar to him and a weird feeling in his gut.

"She had green eyes, a great smile- That was the first thing I noticed about her actually."

"She didn't smile at you, of course," Dylan added while taking a bite of food.

"No, asshole," Blake said. "I saw her smile at another customer before she noticed us."

"What was her name?" Spike asked.

Blake turned and his gaze snapped when it landed on the vampire. He studied him and said, "You're feelin kind of off there, buddy. What's up? You think ya might know this girl?"

"What was her name, Blake?"

The empath shrugged and took another bite of steak, seemingly unbothered by Spike's sudden dangerous tone of voice. "The nametag said Elizabeth. Pretty name for a pretty girl, and this time I really mean that line."

Dylan glanced at Spike. "She wasn't the usual type, ya know? She had somethin special about her."

"You mean like supernatural?" Rex asked.

"No," Dylan shook his head. "Completely human, but she just seemed... I don't know, different. And she knocked Blake right off his lady killer high horse." Dylan smiled and shook his head in memory. "When he called her 'dollface' I thought she was gonna hit him."

Spike stood up and went immediately for his coat.

"Where are you going?" Stevo asked.

"Out. I'll be back." He slipped on his duster, bending to put on his Docs next.

"Don't you think with Flora out there it's kind of dangerous now, man?" Ace questioned. Stevo and Spike had filled him and Rex in on everything they knew before Blake and Dylan arrived back, and he was more worried about this Flora vamp than anything else. Ace was always one to go by a motto he had: Fight what you can see.

Of course, Spike didn't give a damn about Flora at the moment. He needed to get to that diner. "I'll be fine, and don't any a you follow me or I'll knock you unconscious an leave you for the sun."

With that, he slammed the front door.

Silence engulfed the room. The group sat still and a bit shocked at the vampire's behavior, the same suspicion brewing between all of them.

Blake finally broke the tension. "Ya think he knows that HE is the only one allergic to sunlight?"
End Notes:
Please review! Tell me what you think of the characters, the diner, tell me what you think of the kitten- Anything! I love to hear your opinions!
Chapter 15: So Much for Distance by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
I got a review asking if I imagine certain places/people when describing things in this story, and some examples were requested. Now, you dont have to see these things as I do, I'm just giving a few personal examples. You can imagine them as however you wish! :)

Leonard's was inspired sorta from the diner in the music video "Meet Virginia" by Train (great song if you wanna look it up!)
When writing Blake I cant help but think of the actor Ian Somerhalder (though i dont see them as identical, imagining that guy really does help me imagine Blake). And The character Stevo was inspired from the character Cam Rohan from Lisa Kleypas romance novels (both Stevo and C.R. are gypsies and have similar appearances). Mostly everything else is just my imagination run wild, but if i add other things which are specifically inspired, ill let you know!

Thanks to everyone reading and keeping up with this story! I hope you enjoy this chapter (SEE END NOTES TOO!).
Spike moved through the forest surrounding his house, and down a main road to the populated area of town. He passed houses with lights out, little homes with televisions flickering through thin curtains, a couple of parties going lively but quietly at two residences. It was peaceful and crisp, the moon shining brightly through gray wispy clouds in the night sky. The sounds of dry tree leaves rustling played a timeless sound throughout the quiet.

Tranquil surroundings, and one infuriated vamp.

Quite a combo. Spike's soundless stride but volatile mood was noxious enough to scare a rabbit more than twenty feet away. The laughter from a group of teenagers died when he walked passed, and the vicious warning of a dog bark sounded when he neared the animal's gate.

He was headed to Leonard's Place, and he had to get there before closing. He wasn't sure if his hunch was right or not, but a nagging feeling in the back of his head told him it was. The waitress at the diner was Buffy.

The description was accurate. The nose, the eyes, the hair. Everything. That little something special Dylan mentioned... It didn't matter her name was Elizabeth, maybe it was her real name and Buffy was a nick. Or perhaps it was her middle name. God knew why she didn't just write "Buffy" on that nametag.

Spike had been thinking about her near incessantly for the past two days, and today as well. A full seventy-two hours now of not seeing her and then his friends come back from an errand to tell him about HIS girl. To tell him she'd taken a job. To describe her to him; how she was unique and cute with a smile that drew you in, as if he didn't already know those things. As if she wasn't important to him, as if he didn't know who she was. As if he didn't care.

As if Blake had any right to hit on her.

It was a good thing Spike left the house before he'd lost it.

He spotted the diner about a block ahead of him and moved faster.

Why was she waitressing? He knew how she felt around crowds. How was she dealing with this? Had her grandmother forced her to find a job? Spike doubted that. Buffy held her Grams in high regard and obviously loved her very much, just as Spike believed the old woman cared for her granddaughter the same.

Maybe Buffy had decided to get one to try and meet the people in town, though Spike didn't think so; she loved being at the library, alone. She couldn't have gotten a job there, of course, the owner never hired anyone. He mostly took care of the place himself with help from family. But Buffy didn't need a job, did she? She'd said that the money she had from the insurance was enough to live well for a while. Did she lie? Or was she just ready to start saving up more for herself, starting now. Was her grandmother having issues paying the bills?

Spike had no idea, and the only way to find out was to ask her.

Of course, his temper wasn't exactly anything anyone would want to be around right now.

He was pointlessly angry, he knew, but angry all the same.

Buffy was a waitress, Spike was almost positive she was HATING it, and he hadn't seen her in three bloody days. Hadn't hugged her, kissed her. They hadn't bloody talked. They hadn't met at the library, their place. One of his friends had fucking HIT on her- Which Spike knew he didn't even have a right to be mad about (though he rebelled against such logic), and he fucking missed her worse than he could stand it.

So storming into the diner and startling the few customers inside, then scanning the whole place like a panther on the hunt was naturally what happened when he finally reached Leonard's door.

><

Green eyes snapped up from the task of cleaning the countertop. She knew it was him before she saw him. At the first resounding clash when he practically jumped inside the diner, at the heavy door banging closed. When the remaining customers all paused to watch the bleached blonde in leather.

Buffy literally felt her eyes bulge, almost to the point of pain, but she couldn't close them. Spike was here, and in a split second she realized just how much she'd missed him. After this long day, the bad sleep the last couple nights, not knowing what the hell he was doing or if he was rethinking his decision to stick around, be near her, those kisses. She was overly relieved and wanted to go straight to him, but caution prevented her.

What was that rule? Don't make any sudden movements around a wild animal... Yeah, something told Buffy to follow that instruction right about now.

He was pissed. It was all over his face, and when those smoldering blue eyes locked onto hers, she actually felt like a firefly snared in a fist.

She didn't blink as he approached. The man looked her up and down, nostrils flaring. If it wasn't ludicrous, she might've actually thought he was sniffing her- But that was nuts.

She wanted to hug him. She wanted to run.

"Spike."

He smiled with closed lips, a cajoling almost mocking smile. "Kitchen still open?"

She blinked finally, a few times in rapid succession. Was the kitchen still open? "Yeah, for almost an hour," she responded, giving him a peculiar look.

Spike smirked, though it wasn't teasing or friendly. It was close to a sneer, actually. What was wrong with him?

He sat down on a stool and clasped his hands together. "Didn't know you worked here..." he looked her over again, eyes lingering on the place where a nametag was pinned. "Elizabeth."

Her cheeks flushed, she hadn't a clue, but the look he gave her made her feel guilty. She had no idea why, but it did, and so she went back to wiping off the counter. "I just started today. And Elizabeth's my 'proper' name, Buffy's just a nickname," she explained. Tucking a strand of blonde behind one ear, she asked, "Do you wanna order something, Spike?"

Looking into his eyes again, they were even less welcoming than they had been before. Jeez, why was he so upset? Buffy had no idea what was running through his head but did have a suspicious feeling that it involved her, unfortunately.

Spike clenched his jaw. "Ya never told me that, pet."

"Never told you what?"

"Your real name."

"Oh." She looked down and sighed. "Buffy is my real name," she said, "It was what people called me in San Francisco. I only started using Elizabeth again when I got here." She turned around and plucked up the coffeepot. "I'm about to do refills, want a cup?"

"Not really."

She frowned. "Fine. I'll be back in a sec."

As she walked away, Buffy sensed his eyes on her the whole time. She could practically feel tingles where his stare roamed over her in waves. She didn't let her ankles wobble, and tried focusing on the pain in the soles of her feet.

When she got back to the counter, having walked around to the few occupied tables and refilled people's mugs, Spike couldn't hold his tongue for very long. "Never said you were gonna take a job here, pet."

"So?" She asked, getting irritated when his eyes flashed primitively. She would have told him about her plan to start waitressing if she'd SEEN him, but he'd been MIA for the past three days.

Buffy looked up at the clock. Yep. Three full days, an entire seventy-two hours now. Fifteen minutes past, actually.

"Thought you liked talkin to me."

She hated the way he'd purred that sentence, both charm and demand at the same time. "When you're around."

For a moment his face looked repentant, but only for an instant because the next, Buffy spoke again. "But it's not like this whole waitressing thing is a big deal. I might not have mentioned it to you anyway," she lied.

His jaw clenched, and Spike huffed in aggravation. "S'that so? Well excuse me for wantin to know what's goin on with you."

Her eyes widened. "You don't HAVE to know, Spike." God, this man could get her temper going like nobody else. Her anger was getting the better of her and the worries from the past couple of days were fighting to the fore. Buffy tried not to sound forlorn when she added, "Especially when you're not around."

Spike sighed through his nose and growled stubbornly. "You should have told me."

"You weren't here to be told!" After her shout Buffy quickly looked around in alarm. Two customers glanced her way and she caught Leonard's curious expression from the kitchen. She smiled at him reassuringly and took a breath.

Turning back to Spike, not understanding what he wasn't getting, she whispered, "Spike, you come in here acting like I owe you an explanation, and you know what, I don't." Her brow puckered with anger and frustration. "You don't have a right to know about every single decision I make and everything I do." Buffy's voice shook a little, and a small part inside of her rebelled against her own words.

His eyes flared and then narrowed. She just did not realize the things going through him right now, how close his demon was to the surface, how much frustration was boiling away, how angry he was that she was right. He felt like he couldn't hold on to her, and it was true and he was terrified. "Never said ya did, love," Spike grit out.

"Well you sure acted like it," she said, with an exasperated arm wave that couldn't be stopped.

Spike's jaw clenched again and he closed his eyes for a second, acting like he might be counting to ten before speaking. Though when he finally did, his didn't sound the least bit calmer. "You meet someone here earlier tonight?"

The question was so abruptly different from their conversation that Buffy frowned, her face confused and her anger dimming just enough to feel guilt. The words she'd cast around a second ago were hurtful and yet true. But she liked telling Spike things, she just didn't like the way he was acting.

A little angry at herself, and not very happy with him either, Buffy answered the question. "A lot of people, unfortunately."

He continued to stare at her, studying her face. She felt a bit self conscious, knowing that her hair must be a ratty ponytailed mess, her eyes tired, and her makeup completely gone. "Happen to remember a bloke, obnoxious sort who talks too much?" he asked.

She frowned, wondering what in the world Spike was getting at. "Maybe," she said, not sure how much she wanted him to know in light of the fact that he seemed mad at her for reasons Buffy deemed unfair. He hadn't even bothered to offer an actual hello yet, just came barging in and acting grumpy.

"Name of Blake," he added.

She hummed in affirmation, "Yeah. I did meet him. Friend of yours?" She raised her eyebrows in both question and challenge.

He didn't like it. The way she was answering, so simple, no details, deliberately holding back from him. "Sometimes," Spike replied. "You two talk for very long?"

"What does it matter?"
"You tell him your nickname?"
"What's with the third degree here, Spike?"

He didn't answer, just bore into her with those intense blue eyes. His lips were pursed tight with impatience and anger. She had no idea what to do with this man, so Buffy decided then, to ignore him.

She went to leave, and the proverbial steam almost shot out of her ears when he reached over the counter and grabbed her arm. "What are you doing?!" She growled.

His nostrils flared, and in that instant she realized what his biggest problem was... or at least part of it. Blake, his friend, must have mentioned something about her, and Spike...

Jealousy. Oh what a strange emotion. How could he be jealous of comments his friend (sometimes friend?) had made about her? The fact the guy had simply talked to her? Flirted yeah, but nothing more. Surely he hadn't made it seem like she'd flirted back-

Oh. Maybe that was it.

Abruptly, a somewhat giddy- and unwelcome -emotion ran through her, threatening a blush. Buffy's stomach turned warm. She shouldn't feel this way over Spike's jealousy, she should be annoyed by its irrationality. Besides, the two of them weren't dating.

But that's what made it even better, wasn't it? They weren't a couple, and so he felt his place in her life was threatened by some random Casanova? It was ridiculous, but far from insulting... Well, actually, Spike thinking that she was so fickle as to just drop him like a hat and ignore what they had, and her feelings for him, because a random guy came around flirting was maddening. Spike should know that she wasn't that type of person. They'd shared too much, held a connection between them that still managed to throw her at times. She felt like she knew him more and more every second she spent with him.

Yet here HE was, all bully-ish and with the questions.

Buffy sighed, still staring into those gorgeous blue eyes and awaiting an answer as to why he'd grabbed her arm. A reply that might not come. Perhaps Blake said something to anger him, maybe he'd painted Elizabeth to be a total skank, or worse.

Or maybe he hadn't and Spike was just being heartthrobing-ly, infuriatingly, and unwarrantedly jealous.

"Spike," she said, her voice quiet and just a little breathless from the tingle on her skin where his fingers were, "how'd you know I was Elizabeth?"

He swallowed, and Buffy saw the throat muscles move enticingly beneath his skin. "The way he described you. What he-... What he said."

"What did he say?"

Spike looked into her eyes, those hazel green depths he adored, and he loosened his hand on her arm. He hadn't been gripping hard enough to hurt her, simply stay her. "Green eyes, beautiful smile, blonde ponytail, short..."

Buffy ignored that last part but gathered from what Spike was telling her, that this friend of his hadn't said she'd been flirty or responded to his advances. If Blake had, it would have been the first thing Spike told her in response to her last question.

Relief warred with aggravation. Unless something else had crawled up Spike's butt, then he was jealous for absolutely no reason and worrying about the fact she hadn't told him she'd started waitressing (which had only started TODAY, by the way) because of this jealousy.

They both knew his reaction to her new job was ridiculous, and Buffy was getting tired of having to defend herself. Her feelings were mixed, with warm girly flattery that annoyed her in one hand, and true bitterness in the other. All she knew was that someone had come into the diner, mentioned her to Spike, and then the man-of-questions had flown in acting resentful and demanding; as if she'd done something wrong by not including him in the development of a stupid new job. *Of all things, I am a waitress for God's sake!*

She pulled free of his grasp and sent over a glare. "Your friend was a hell of a lot more pleasant than you're being right now, Spike."

That made his eyes narrow once again, dangerous cerulean slits that sparkled with anger. "S'that so? Guess his practiced charm managed to get past your defenses then, eh love?"

She took a step back from him, irritation pulsing through every vein and making her voice tight. "Not in the slightest, Spike. But you obviously wouldn't be convinced unless you'd been here yourself."

As she stormed off, he thought privately that he wouldn't have let Blake within five feet of her without kissing her first, in front of the whole bloody diner, but now he couldn't do anything but watch her walk away. Sighing, he clenched his jaw once again and internally called himself all kinds of a fool.

He shouldn't have let it show; his fear, his jealousy, his aggression. He shouldn't have illustrated how hard he was trying to hold on. Being an ass and acting like she owed him anything was the surest way to piss the girl off. If Spike had thought this situation out at all, he could have called her reactions in a heartbeat. Instead he'd acted on unreasonable anger and frustration. Now she was mad- And rightfully so.

Buffy didn't owe him anything, she told him things because she liked to, not because she had to. And he'd acted like a jealous boyfriend whose calls had gone ignored for a week.

Spike's head shot up. Calls...

He tried to catch a glimpse of Buffy in the kitchen, but he only saw the top of her hair as she spoke to an older black man in an apron. She was nodding and the bloke was regarding her warmly. Spike saw them shake hands.

Buffy came back out and as she strode by with weariness and a tiny thread of joy he spotted in her eyes, the Brit wondered if maybe, just maybe, she'd thought about him as much as he'd thought about her over these past three aggravating days.

She'd mentioned him not being around. She was angry about that, which explained even more so why his attitude had bothered her- Asides from the fact that he'd been accusatory on no grounds.

Buffy had missed him.

And now she was pissed at him.

"I'm leaving in a few minutes," she declared, untying her apron and setting it on a shelf beneath the counter.

Spike frowned. "Doesn't the place close at twelve?"

"Leonard's letting me off early." She sighed, renewed irritation evident in her expression as she looked at him again. "Bye, Spike. Next time you wanna stop by and act like a jerk, give me a heads up."

She was gone before he could reply.

><

Buffy hurried to the back of the diner where that tiny little closest of a changing room was. Leonard gave her the night off a bit early because she'd done so well, and he was very kind to her, even offered a burger and a coke on the house.

She'd said no. She really just wanted to get out of here, and while she was happy that her new boss was nice and she'd done well today, Buffy was anxious to get away from a certain bleached Brit.

His obvious frustration and doubt bothered her more than she liked to admit. All she wanted was to get away from him for a little while, and because she couldn't ask him to apologize- and she certainly wasn't going to -distance was much preferred right now. Spike probably didn't even get why she was snappy with him, Buffy bet.

She knew he could be an ass sometimes, but with all the work she'd done today she wasn't willing to deal with it. Normally, she would spell it out for Spike, tell him why and how he was acting like a jerk, but tonight? Buffy just wanted to go home and try and get a sound night's rest. And attempt not to think about Spike and this altercation too much.

Evidently, she wasn't going to get what she wished for.

"Spike!"

She was just taking off her yellow button up when the door was yanked open and he came in. Buffy pressed her crumpled shirt against her chest to cover up and glared in shock and infuriation. How in the world had he slipped past the people in the kitchen? "What the hell are you-"

He shushed her.

It only made her more indignant. "Don't you shush me-"

He put a hand over her loud protest and said, "I'm sorry."

The statement threw her, and Buffy stared with wide eyes at the man in leather. He apologized. She wasn't sure if she should feel relieved, or focus on ways of kicking his ass.

As it was, his hand was still covering her mouth so she couldn't even talk right now.

Spike glanced down at her torso, wishing immediately that he hadn't. Christ but the chit was changing. He'd walked in on her changing. This was just bloody great.

"I was a berk." *Am a berk,* he inwardly corrected, staring intently at her eyes as he forced himself to ignore her barely covered chest. "I shouldn't a acted... I was unfair. You're... right. You don't owe me anything, and I shouldn't a acted like you did. I know ya did nothin wrong, s'just..." He pursed his lips. Buffy didn't know how hard this apology was for him. He hadn't said sorry to anyone in years. A lot of years.

Yet he was willing to spew it all out and admit his grievances in a split moment for this girl.

The girl who really did know just how hard it was for him. She could see it in his eyes, feel it in the tension simmering beneath his skin. Elizabeth's irate emotions puddled into gratitude and warmth. Her eyebrows drew together as she studied him, not sure how quickly it would be okay to forgive her guy, but seeing the sincerity in him as clearly as one could spot the moonlight on a crystal pond.

She didn't have time to mentally wig or analyze the possessive term she'd just put over Spike in her head. HER guy? Since when did- Oh wait, he was talking again, and her brain was solely focused on the movements of his lips. Crap.

"I never said hello to ya, did I?" His eyes glinted with bewilderment as a little self-depreciating smile changed his expression. He looked even more apologetic and a bit disappointed in himself.

She narrowed her eyes. An immensely unreasonable burst of irritation ran through her like lava, and she bit him.

"Oi! What was that for?!" He whispered harshly and shook his hand, trying not to let his mind wander to better examples of bitey Buffy.

"For being an ASS!" She yelled with more breath that vocals. Somehow, they'd both mutually decided to be quiet so as not to alert anyone to their location and her voice was that of an enraged cat burglar. "You're right, you never said hello! Or called me kitten or Goldilocks, you just w-went off on a little... tantrum, because of something stupid!"

Spike rolled his eyes, his jaw clenched, and he said, "I was unfair."

"You were jealous!"

H growled low in his throat and took a step closer, distractedly glancing at Buffy's exposed torso. Her hands had moved to her hips and her light blue bra was the only thing covering her up. "I haven't seen you in three bloody days."

"And whose fault is that?"

"Mine," he grumbled, stuffing his hand in his pocket, looking for the napkin he'd written on after she'd gone to the back preparing to leave. "Here," he handed it to her.

"What's this?" Buffy looked at the numbers scribbled down in ink.

"My address, and the only phone number I've got; it's for the house. I don't have a cell phone, no use for the bloody things."

Buffy looked at him in quizzical shock. She was torn between asking him how the hell someone didn't own a cell phone in this day and age, and tearing the napkin to shreds. While a part of her was ready to slip it inside her bag for safekeeping. "Why are you giving me this," she demanded.

Spike looked surprised at her tone, and answered the question with slight wariness. "I thought you'd like it, so you can get hold f'me if you need... somethin, anythin."

She scowled at his shrug. "You mean if I need your shoulder to cry on."

He bit back a sigh. Now she was going to get defensive about this. Couldn't she tell he'd gone practically barmy these past three days? He wasn't giving her this information out of pity. He was giving it to her because he wanted to be on level ground with her, so they could both contact each other when they wanted. Asides from just meeting at the library or him stalking her house.

"I mean if you want to contact me, love."

"Oh," she handed him back the napkin and turned to find her white blouse. "Well, keep it. I don't need it."

Spike frowned. "You don' want it?"

His voice sounded hurt and questioning. Buffy forced back a cringe. She didn't want to take the napkin. He was pitying her and she was still annoyed. She'd missed his dumbass and he couldn't even show one ounce of missage. Only unfair jealousy and pity.

"Buffy."

"What?"

"I want you to have this."

The surprising touch of his hand slipping into one of the back pockets of her jeans had Buffy's breath hitching, and her back straightening like the handle of a stepped on rake. "Wha-What are you doing?" she stuttered.

Spike smirked a little at her shaky voice, tucking the napkin deeply into her pocket and gliding his fingers out slowly. "I want you to be able to get a hold of me." His breath touched her ear when he spoke. "I missed you these last couple f'days."

"You could have gotten a hold of me," she claimed, her voice very quiet. Accusatory stress coated her statement, while her insides hummed at his proximity.

"I only know where you live, love. S'not nice to come over uninvited, though."

Buffy took a silent, deep breath. Spike had missed her. She didn't believe that he was all that worried about politeness in general, however, something in his voice- maybe a hint of humbleness? -made her accept his statement. Maybe she hadn't been the only one going crazy these last three damn days.

God. Only three days, and this is what happened to the both of them.

It was scary, but she turned around anyway. "I would have let you in," she said, her eyes guarded but vulnerable. Her voice luring, yet almost emotionless.

Spike smiled, his gaze travelling over her and tenderness lining every feature of his sculpted face. "Yeah? I'll have to remember that, then."

Buffy sighed softly, the feeling of a weight coming off her shoulders. Looking up into his focused warm eyes and feeling her anger melt away, she was comforted. Lord she'd missed those colors of blue. Sticking her hand into the pocket where he'd put the napkin, Buffy pulled out the barely crumpled white paper. There was a little tension on his face as she examined the numbers, but it dissolved when she turned around again and stuck the napkin in her bag.

She pulled her white blouse out and replaced it with her yellow work shirt. She'd need that tomorrow so she had to bring it home to wash. When she spun around again Buffy became very aware of her state of dress- or lack thereof, really.

She saw Spike's pupils dilate as her eyes rounded and her cheeks flushed. Instead of wasting time asking him to leave before she properly covered herself, Buffy just slipped the white blouse on over her arms and started to button it as fast as possible.

Her breath caught when Spike's fingers brushed hers away, and he took over the job of dressing her. Very slowly.

His fingertips gently slipped tiny buttons through tiny holes, gradually moving upward in a careful dance. His thumbs brushed the small patches of skin revealed every time he moved to another button, travelling between her breasts and raising goose bumps on her flesh.

"You don't have to-... do that," she said, albeit a little belatedly.

He swallowed. "I want to."

It was only a partial lie. What Spike really wanted to do was remove all of her clothing so he could cover her body with his own, but he didn't think it would be such a successful idea to ask.

Fully buttoned and flushing bright red, Buffy only managed a jerky nod when he pulled away reluctantly and said, "All done."

She gathered her things together faster than a fashion model would move to change between catwalks, and turned back around ready to bolt out of the confined space, if only to try and be able to breathe again.

Spike stood in her way.

When he didn't move she raised an eyebrow at him. "Gotta get out the door here."

He smirked a little and her knees literally wobbled, but she blamed that on exhaustion. Leaning in towards her, Buffy didn't pull away from him, her body demanding what it wanted and her brain too foggy to protest. "W-What are you doing?" She asked, even though she knew very damn well what he was doing.

The smirk grew. "Giving you that hello."

Then he was kissing her. Closed lips and smoldering electricity. God, she really had missed him.
End Notes:
So I probably wont be posting again for about 3 or 4 weeks because unfortunately RL stuff kind of sucks and is kicking my butt. However, i promise that i will not leave this story unfinished. And though i dont always, i will still see and reply to reviews if you guys leave them (please do!) *huggles* and happy Easter! :)
Chapter 16: Dreamers Weep by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey every one of you lovely people still following this story, i know it's been a while. Sorry it took me so long, but now i give you chapter 16. I hope you enjoy! The next chapter should be up sometime within the next two weeks!
"Spike, you don't have to walk me back."

They were meandering down the street in front of Leonard's, in the middle of town. The sidewalks were empty and the moonlight shone bright in the partially clouded sky. It was only by her companion's insistence that she wasn't alone, walking with headphones in back to Grams' place.

Spike had refused to let her go home by herself. After he'd first offered and she had told him it wasn't necessary (though she did crave his company), he said he didn't want her to go alone.

"Like I said, pidge, s'not safe at night."

That brought out another smile from Buffy. "Spike, this is MayBell, for one. And two, I've walked home alone at night before. And look," she stopped and gestured to herself, "still here."

His eyes swept over her like a fluttering fan of heat, lingering on her torso which adorned an open jacket. That shirt she had on was definitely not one of her sweaters, and while a part of him missed the big oversized things for some inane reason, Spike was also very pleased by the alternative. This blouse clung to her body and showed her beautiful shape, small breasts that pressed enticingly against the fabric, buttons taught. His mouth watered.

"Yeah," Spike said, "An that's the way I'd like to keep you, pet. Still here."

He reached out and took her hand, leading the way; and smiling when she squeezed his fingers in hers.

"No hatchet-y murder-y guy is gonna come and steal me, Spike," she said.

"Let's hope not. I'd have to go hatchet-y murder-y myself, then." His voice was light, laced with tease as he repeated her term, though something in the message itself offered a strange kind of seriousness.

Buffy scowled without heat. "Are you making fun of me?"

"Never," he said with mock sincerity, as he fought back a grin.

She pressed her lips together and glanced his way, feeling a lightness in her steps even as her feet ached with every one.

"So, when'd you get the job?"

"Oh," she looked at the ground, taking in the night sounds and breathing deeply. After being inside with greasy food smells all day, it was very nice to have some fresh air. "Today. It was time I got one, just to save up some money."

He looked down at her. "Thought you had money."

"Left over. But it won't last forever, and I've waitressed before." She shrugged. "It's not much, but I don't need much."

"Can't be easy either," he said, tilting his head in that Spike way and frowning in concern.

"It's okay." She turned to him as they walked, and with a voice approaching optimism said, "My boss is really nice. And Harriet, another waitress who works there, she showed me the ropes today. She's really sweet. They like that I'm quick. It wasn't very hard to get the hang of things."

Spike nodded, giving her a considering look. "I know how you hate crowds, love; much like m'self. It's not buggin you havin to deal with the customers all day?"

"Oh, I didn't say that." She glanced up at him. "My head pounds unless I'm holding a coffeepot and my cheeks hurt from smiling just about as much as my feet do, I have to carry heavy trays all day, and the people are pretty talkative..." she sighed, "but it's not so bad at times. I kinda... like it, just a little. Not really the social aspects but it isn't as hard as I thought it'd be... to concentrate. Ya know?"

"Not really, love," he said with a small grin. "I've never been a waitress before."

Buffy watched their feet stepping in sync. "Bet you'd look cute in an apron."

"Ha!" He chuckled, his eyes sparkling. "Not as cute as you do, kitten."

She blushed. She turned positively pink, and couldn't resist leaning up to kiss him on one perfectly defined cheek.

Spike pulled her closer as they walked, grinning like a schoolboy. They headed through town, going past dark homes until finally coming to the street where only a few residences sat widely separated, and just one house whose windows weren't dark.

"Grams is still up, as usual." Buffy puffed out a short laugh. "She'll be wondering what I was doing all day."

"You gonna tell her you started waitressin, petal?"

Buffy illustrated an entertained smile at the nickname she found so cheesy cute and abundantly corny that only Spike could pull it off without making her gag, and she replied kindly. "Yeah. She was the one who mentioned it, actually. And while I don't think she meant for me to get one RIGHT away, I'm sure she'll get over the surprise quickly enough."

"You don't think she expected you to get one now, huh?"

"Nope," Buffy shook her head. "I think she only mentioned it because she wants me to get out more. She knows how... antisocial I can be."

Spike was charmed by the way that nose of hers twitched sometimes when she talked, and he smiled with his next question. "You tell her about me?"

Buffy's face became slightly guarded as Spike raised an unthreatening eyebrow at her. She hadn't said anything to Grams. She didn't really want to, afraid of sharing details about Spike and then getting teased or questioned like crazy.

However, Grams hadn't brought up the subject since she'd asked who had told Buffy the story about punching some guy named Arnie in the face. "Not really..."

He frowned. "Why not? Afraid she'll ask me over for supper an I'll embarrass you?" It was said in jest; truthfully, he wasn't worried much over the fact that Buffy was keeping him a secret from her grandmother. Which is why he was surprised when she turned on him with a defensive look.

"No. I-I just..." she stumbled over her tongue, looking down before frowning up at him again. "This is really... new, Spike. I don't want to have to deal with a bunch of questions. Grams is great but... I'm still-"

"Her granddaughter." Spike nodded considerately, reaching up to tuck a strand of blonde behind her ear. "I know, Buffy. She'd be curious and probly nosy. S'only natural, bein your Grams an all. She cares 'bout you."

Buffy nodded, looking at him with apology in her eyes. She wasn't sure why she felt guilty. She wasn't ashamed of him or anything like that, it just wasn't time yet. She wasn't even sure if they were dating or not. She didn't know much about his family, or how old he was, what his job was- She only knew Spike, but not a whole lot of details.

"Who cares about you?" she suddenly asked, her voice soft.

"What?" He gave her a blank look.

"You." Buffy's brow furrowed before she continued. "I'm nineteen, and Grams is the only person I've got left. I have money because of a fire that stole my life away, and I waitress at a tiny diner in a tiny town with no more than a thousand residents. Probably less, I never looked at the population count on that Welcome sign on the bus ride in. But... this is my life. My only real family is in this town." She bit her lip and fumbled a little, fingering her bag's strap which wrapped around her torso. "Where's your family, Spike?"

The question threw him. His body tensed and his face turned to expressionless stone. He didn't want to talk about this, never did, and spent a hell of a lot of his time trying not to think about the past. It bit at him. And if he was going to tell her anything at all about it, he'd have to lie or seriously cut out details. The prospect did not sit well.

"Gone," was his only answer. He hoped she wouldn't press any further.

But the sudden distance in his eyes and the bleakness Buffy saw there alarmed her greatly. She had never quite seen this look on him before, only a similar grief once when she'd caught him reading over a piece of paper long ago, at their library.

She took an experimental step closer and was emboldened when he didn't protest or move away. "How old are you, Spike?"

It felt weird asking that question, he knew her age but she'd never gotten to ask his. It was one of those simple things people should know about each other, especially ones who were close. And they were close. Spike even got a sudden bit of surprise in his eyes, as if he too thought the same thing, right before all emotion was cut off again. She hated that look on him, was used to it on herself.

She touched his arm, silently urging him to give her an answer.

"I was um..." Spike laughed a little unexpectedly, a self depreciating sound. "Well, in human years m'about ten years older than yourself, pet."

Ten years. Wasn't that sort of much? Buffy didn't particularly think so, and idly wondered why so many people believed age gaps mattered all the time. "Well," she started. "you said you lived alone. How long have you been that way?"

"What way?" he asked irritably.

"Alone," Buffy pressed. She'd be as gentle as she could approaching this, she didn't want to hurt him, and obviously digging up the past was going to be painful. But he'd listened to her, and she wanted to make sure Spike knew she would do the same for him. She wanted to help. And she really wanted him to trust her. Like she trusted him.

A trust she was starting to believe in. It would have to go both ways, though. For his sake.

He didn't answer her, and Buffy felt cruel for even asking or using the word 'alone'. She pushed her feelings down as far as they would go and took one of Spike's hands. His skin was cold.

"It's okay," she said. "You don't have to... I just want you to know that I'll listen, okay? Remember when you said that thing to me?"

He swallowed, his eyes hard and the colors in them unbending. "What thing?"

She smiled, trying to coax a little emotion out of him. "About not having to be alone? Not if I didn't want."

He grumbled quietly and scoffed. "Took you a bloody while to accept it."

"Oh I still haven't. Not really, anyhow." Buffy leaned up to kiss the corner of his frozen mouth. "But I'm getting there."

Desperate wonder stormed his eyes in an instant. He stared at her for no more than three seconds before grabbing her around the waist, and hauling her close. He kissed her immediately, parting her lips with his tongue and tasting her warmth. Spike held on almost too tightly but Buffy took the embrace as what it was. His way of grasping for what she was offering, a need to have faith in her, just as she'd needed to have faith in him. Doubt and fear laced the kiss, along with a pleading wish to trust.

Spike claimed her fiercely, his mouth ravenous and heat spreading throughout his limbs. His head was empty and his nerves singed, but his heart clung onto the warmth Buffy kindled. Warmth he craved from her. The fire she fed. The peace she offered. God, nothing more than WANTING to trust her, to believe she would always be there as he would for her, could feel this powerful. Nothing would make him desire this frantically and heavily. She didn't know what he WAS, he wanted to tell her everything and never talk of anything. The creature lying beneath his skin wouldn't allow either.

Only when his mother had gotten sick and he'd blamed everything on himself, and thought of what could have been avoided if fate had been changed; only when he felt the acute pain of the loss of his family- Only then, when truest agony entered his world had Spike EVER wished for his humanity back. Wished he was fangless, mortal.

He'd never again, in a million years apologize for what he was; he refused to, knowledge and time having brought reality into his brain and fought down guilt. He was a vampire, he'd always loved it, and only once in a blue moon had wished not to be it. And only because of what might have gone differently for his loved ones. Or perhaps, he could have avoided the loneliness immortality served. But never again. He'd promised himself long ago not to feel guilty for loving what he was, even if he did drink bagged blood.

But in this moment, as he pressed Buffy harder against him and held on tight, kissing her for all and more of what he was worth, a part of him wanted to be human. So he wouldn't lose her.

He tore his mouth away. NO. If he'd been human he would have died, and never met her. His girl would be without anyone to cry in front of, she'd be hurting, and he wouldn't know her.

He wouldn't be here.

"Spike," she breathed, wrapping her arms around his waist. Her lips brushed his in invitation and Spike consumed her whole again, his tongue thrusting possessively into her sweet mouth. He wasn't going to lose her. In that instant Spike refused to believe it. She was too good, too powerful to him, and she was his and would remain that way. He'd do whatever possible and a part of him, somewhere deeply seamed within the demon and the heart, believed she wouldn't run from who he was.

Not his Buffy.

All he needed was time.

She moaned and pressed closer to him, shuddering when both of his palms ran across her back and under her jacket. She could barely breathe and idly considered giving up the habit all together if it meant she could have more of this. Longer. With no breaks in between.

Her arms tightened when she felt his hand roam down and squeeze, grinding her intimately against the apex of his thighs. Buffy gasped, the hard length of-

Her arms hugged him unmercifully and she whimpered, sensation lancing through her so fast that she felt herself shaking.

Spike hissed in pain.

Buffy abruptly pulled away, her breaths trembling and her cheeks flushed with heat. "W-What is it?"

Spike put a hand to his ribcage and his face creased in discomfort. "Nothin just, uh... bruised a couple a ribs the other night, is all."

Buffy gasped. "That's all?!" she shouted. Right away she reached for his coat and pushed it aside, attempting to slide the hem of his T-shirt up. "How did you bruise your ribs?" she asked, concern etching every feature on her glowing face.

Spike let her reveal his discolored torso, being careful to make sure she didn't go high enough to notice the knife wound. It was only a scar now but he still didn't need her worrying about that. "I uh, tripped down the stairs. Bloody clumsy move. Just 'bout healed up now, though."

Her fingers ran delicately over his skin, so light he could barely feel it. Little tingles of heat spiraled delicately through him like magic, Buffy's fingers gliding as her eyes scanned searchingly. There was so much sweet distress on her face Spike wanted to kiss her again.

"You fell down the stairs?" There was no accusation or dubiousness in her voice, and considering she didn't know who he was in history, he wasn't surprised. If she was aware of his vampire makeup she'd be giving him a third degree by now.

"Yeah," he studied her fretful, downturned face. No one worried over him. He hadn't had anyone, let alone a woman, to show the concern that Buffy was showing right now. It made his chest tighten. "I'll be okay, Buffy."

Her eyes snapped up to his for the first time since she'd gotten a look at his bruises. She looked slightly embarrassed, right along with determined and troubled. "Did you go to a doctor?"

He frowned. "Well... no. They're just bruised, s'nothin a doc can do anyhow."

She scowled and brushed her fingertips against one of the bruises again. "What if they're broken, you could puncture a lung or something."

"They're not broken, Buffy."

Her forehead creased with lines of disapproval, and just when he thought she might argue again, instead she said, "Well you should at least wrap them or something."

He smirked. "I've been in worse shape than this before, kitten. I heal quick an you don' wrap somethin that isn't broken."

That frown of hers was so cute Spike had to bend to kiss her right over the lines denting her forehead. "The bruisin will be gone soon, love." That was true, he'd probably be completely healed in a day or two. Of course, he couldn't quite tell her that.

She let his shirt fall back into place and kissed him chastely on the mouth. "Okay," Buffy murmured. "But no falling down steps anymore," she ordered.

Spike chuckled. "Not plannin on it, Goldilocks," he replied, and then kissed her again.

They stayed that way, in the sweet embrace for a few minutes, before Buffy pulled back reluctantly for air. As Spike watched her breathing against his chest, his useless lungs sucked in air he didn't need but sought all the same. The human and the vampire, a novel and surreal thought, even worse when it was true. She was so alive, almost too much, Spike thought. Because every time he was around her, he soaked up the sensation and swore his heart might be beating for her.

His human heartbeat, a small girl filled with life and a whole lot of grief to match. Spike absently traced a thumb over a dark circle beneath one of her eyes, and he felt pure concern flow through him. With a little niggle at the back of his mind urging him to ask, Spike said, "Have you been sleepin well, Buffy?"

She looked up dazedly, and then bit her lip when her brain sorted out his words. Should she tell him about the nightmares... she didn't want him worrying. There wasn't anything he could really do about them.

She settled for something close to the truth. "Yes... and no. Sometimes I get crappy dreams but, they're just dreams, right? They'll pass."

He frowned at her offhanded answer that clashed directly with the way she averted her eyes, and the way she shrugged. A movement which was supposed to be casual but ended up cramped and awkward. He touched her chin, encouraging her to face him. "Sometimes?"

She could lie to him, but he'd probably just see straight through it anyway. Shit. "Okay," she relented. "Often. Almost every night... but it's not like they'll never go away." She smiled positively, trying to make the worry on his face disappear. "It's no big deal."

"If you can't get sleep it's a big deal," he claimed.

"I can get sleep. I get plenty of sleep." She turned around and started for her house, absentmindedly shaking off the chill that fell on her when their contact broke. "As a matter of fact it's probably a good thing I get the nightmares, otherwise I'd never get out of bed," she joked.

It didn't fool him. Spike was at her heels and he was concerned. Deeply. Which bothered him, especially considering he couldn't do anything about bloody dreams. The unease wouldn't lessen. "How long have you had them, Buffy?"

She shrugged casually again. "Since the fire."

He halted abruptly. "You've had nightmares every night... for months."

"Not every night," She said, then sighed loudly and turned towards him, a weary look coming over her features. "Spike look, I can't do anything about them, okay. And I don't want to medicate. So stop looking at me like I'm some charity case, they'll..." Buffy waved a careless hand and looked at the ground. "They'll go away in time."

Spike agreed, but it didn't mean he had to like it. And it didn't mean he couldn't try to help her.

She didn't back away when he approached, and she let him wrap her in a hug. A tight, warm embrace that she allowed herself to burrow into. Tears stung slightly behind her closed eyelids, but there was no reason to cry and she didn't want to. She just wanted to be comforted, without water works or sniffles.

"You know," Spike murmured, "you can talk to me about them if you want, love. I won't turn you away."

She nodded against him, and that was all the response he needed. When the light in the living room of Buffy's house went off, it spurred her attention to the fact that she should probably get inside. She didn't want Grams going to bed without knowing she was home.

She stepped out of his arms, sighing silently. With a gentle smile at Spike, she said, "I guess I should get inside. We've been standing out her for awhile now."

That brought a sinful smirk to his lips. "We've been a bit busy."

Buffy blushed, remembering the kisses and forcing her heartbeat back to normal, even when Spike's grin widened, almost as if he'd heard it.

He leaned down and brushed his mouth against hers in a soft but sensual contact, pulling away before they both could let it deepen. "Goodnight, Goldilocks."

"Goodnight, Spike." Buffy turned again and started up the stairs to the house, pausing at the screen door when her guy called her name.

"Be sure to call if... well, for any bloody reason, really," he said. His smile was warm, endearing to her, and all tenderness and boyish welcome.

"I will," she said with a grin of her own.

"Even if you don' have a reason, love," he added. "M'always home and- Oh, balls." He stopped suddenly and sighed. Loudly. The man's head leaned back and he groaned at the sky.

"What is it?" Buffy asked.

"I've got some friends stayin with me..." Spike wiped a hand over his face. "A couple of which I believe you've already met."

"Oh." She thought of the two men at the diner, Blake and Dylan. Were those Spike's only visiting friends? She wondered if he would revoke his invitation now. A cold disappointment touched her; and she wondered if he'd do it because of his friends being a possible embarrassment, or HER.

Buffy's question was answered the next moment, though, when Spike gave her an apologetic look and said, "If you come by, kitten, your company's much appreciated. Probly the only thing that'll keep me from blowin my own head off over there. But I warn you, m'friends are... well, they're ridiculous an very well might irritate the hell out a you."

She made a small sound of amusement. "Seems like you have a very high opinion of these guys, Spike."

"No," he said, ignoring her sarcasm. "I actually bloody do, they're good blokes, just..."

"Embarrassing?" she ventured, grinning and laughing when Spike groaned again.

"Yeah, that's the best word to describe it, I s'pose."

She nodded. "Well thanks for the warning, I'll keep it in mind." She opened the screen door and then the next, about to step inside when she turned back to him and added, "But it's not gonna scare me away, Spike."

He grinned. "Knew it wouldn't, love."

><

The smoke was black, she couldn't find her way, could barely see. A long hallway with no end, numerous doors that wouldn't open on each side. The sounds of pleas for help echoing in her ears, pleas she heard at night but had never actually known. Turmoil engulfed her and sickness planted itself in her gut.

Her feet frantically moved over a hot floor, the air was too thick and she felt like she was suffocating but she couldn't collapse. She wasn't breathing but her body kept fighting, and yet, the pain didn't stop. Like drowning with no end. The hallway was infinite, as were the screams in the darkness.

Her hands grabbed frantically at doorknobs as she ran to the people calling for help. Each one was locked, nothing would budge. Her shoulders ached from trying to bang into unyielding doors, because she swore someone was crying and screaming behind each one.

Tears spilled from her eyes and she burned her fingers when she touched a scalding door handle. This was the one. Her mother's pleading voice begged from the other side. Buffy heard her.

"Mom! Mom, it's okay! I'm here!" she screamed against hot wood, throwing herself into the door even as her shoulders screamed their own soundless misery. Buffy rattled the doorknob until it threatened to break off, begged for it to turn and open, no matter that she knew flames would be roaring on the other side. She just had to get in.

Her mother's tears were in her mouth, the smell of smoke surrounding her, her vision a blur. She couldn't see a thing. She had no idea where Papa was, all she knew was that her mom was here. She had to help her now, then she could go and-

The door disappeared.

"Mom!" Her desperate shriek was met with sudden silence, then she was falling. Buffy's throat hurt but no sound came out. An endless pull of gravity, unforgiving, the floor unseen.

An orange and red glow came into sight amidst the ever thickening smoke, and she realized flames were her awaiting ground. Her cheeks singed from the fire's heat, her lungs gave out and a stabbing pain engulfed her chest; all the while she fell.

She woke up on the floor, gasping for air that felt foreign. She sucked in breath after shaky breath and her limbs quivered. It wasn't real.

Her mind rolled in on itself, remembering every minute detail. She still couldn't breathe right. Her eyes were spilling over, salt was in her mouth.

"Shh," the sound whispered in her ear with urgency. Buffy flinched as arms surrounded her, a comforting cold embrace she knew. She shook beneath the large form of a man, and he murmured to her in a voice all too familiar.

"Shh, it's alright. You're alright Buffy, it was only a dream." Spike held her closer. His unbeating heart breaking as he watched her crying, thrown out of her nightmare and onto the floor.

Buffy didn't fight him, she couldn't even if she wanted to. In the aftermath of these nightmares she was often an incoherent mess. The crying lasted until her head cleared enough for her to understand the world again, and right now she was only aware of Spike. He was there. She could lean on him.

It would be okay.

He managed to arrange her on his lap, and he leaned against the wall hoping her grandmother wouldn't hear anything and come in. He held Buffy with a protective concern the likes of which millions would envy. Anyone who could see the way he clutched her then, knew; one arm around her back while a hand cradled her head against his shoulder. He murmured to her in soothing tones, shushing and leaving kisses in her hair and on her forehead.

She just wouldn't stop shaking. It was almost worse than the tears. She was literally trembling and Spike felt near helpless. He just had to give her time to calm down, and be thankful that her breathing had evened out now.

Bad dreams she had told him. No big deal, they didn't come every night.

Bollocks.

After leaving earlier he'd decided to do a patrol, look to see if Flora was around, and then come back to Buffy's and watch over her while she slept. Just for a little while, until morn.

He hadn't even thought about his plan, it felt like instinct. Without second guessing himself and refusing to go back to his place and deal with a million questions, Spike hadn't even decided to go back to Buffy. He simply did. It wasn't a choice but an occurrence.

Approaching her open window at the sound of her whimpering was a kind of fear Spike hadn't experienced before. He couldn't see what was causing her distress until he'd reached the windowsill, and then he'd paused for a mere second in shock before lunging inside her room just as she'd hit the floor.

He was torn between relief that it was only a nightmare and not something physical which had harmed her, and then grief over that same fact. Her heart was breaking every time she had these dreams and God only knew how many times she'd fallen out of bloody bed during them. Tossing and turning, strangling her legs beneath quilts, sweating ice.

It was something Spike couldn't stop and therefore it was disconcerting. Buffy as the victim made it fucking terrifying.

He held her tighter. She was chilled, but warming quickly.

Her cries quieted, then silence was the only company to her breathing and silent teardrops along her cheeks. Buffy realized exactly where she was. The cool air of her bedroom, Grams' house. Spike was holding her, the smoke was gone, no smoke had ever been. No endless hallway. No screams or flames.

Her head jerked up, and green reddened eyes stared into Spike's icy blue. The look on his face was almost too much, and his gaze glistened with tears. Their foreheads touched. So close. She could feel his cool breath. He was always so cold but Buffy felt warm. It was beyond strange, and her mind didn't feel like studying the thought.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice sounded weak even to her ears, and she held back a cringe. Vulnerability and her were not good friends.

"You said you had nightmares..." was Spike's tentative answer. He let out a pointless exhale and tugged her impossibly closer. "I came back a lil while after I left, to check on you. I saw you thrashin on the bed, your window was open. Came in when you hit the floor."

Buffy's lip trembled mutinously and her heart skipped a beat. Her voice was shaky as she asked, "Why did you do that?"

The question seemed ridiculously simple to answer, but at the same time it was extremely difficult. By impulse, desire, and instinct Spike sought to prevent harm from coming to her. So, almost with offense, he answered, "I wasn't just gonna let you lie there twistin in the sheets."

Buffy swallowed. She wriggled in his grasp and sat up. "You came back just to... watch me while I slept?" She peered at him with puffy hazel eyes, questions abound in the irises that still shone with residual moisture.

He shifted uncomfortably. "Was just gonna check in on you. Didn't 'spect your window to be open, or for you to fall out of the bloody bed." Irritation grew. These dreams were a much bigger deal than Buffy had first clarified. At least to Spike they were.

She felt an argumentative stir at his reproving tone. "The nightmares are not usually this bad. And I like to sleep with the window open when it isn't too cold out."

Spike glowered at her. "You flew out of bed, Buffy."

She stiffened. "Well, take it up with my subconscious, Spike." She tried to push away from him but he held fast.

"I'm not sayin it's your fault."

"Good. Because it sure as hell isn't."

He released a mental sigh, and gave her a considering look. "Will you do me a favor?"

Buffy relaxed marginally and turned away. She didn't want to be angry or upset, and the melancholy which her nightmare had delivered set her close to tears even if she had already sobbed quite a few out. In a weary tone, she answered him. "Okay."

"Let me stay with you."

She met his eyes, a hundred questions suddenly materializing. "What? Y-You mean like here, i-in my room?"

He nodded.

Nerves bombarded her quicker than a whip. He couldn't mean... No. He wouldn't, not right now. Buffy shook her head. The mere thought was ridiculous, and she refused to acknowledge the tingle in her veins caused from where her mind had just went. "W-Why?" she stuttered.

He smiled knowingly, guessing exactly where Buffy's thoughts had ventured. As incorrect, and yet tempting at the same time, as they were, he wasn't going to move in on her. Not tonight. He just wanted to see her get some rest. "You might sleep sounder if someone's... nearby."

Was that a twinkle of amusement in his eyes? Was she blushing? Buffy swallowed. As much as she hated being vulnerable or weak, Spike's presence was comfort in the best possible package. A huge part of her rebelled against this idea, yet still, she sat there. In his arms, warm and... safe. It was so unfamiliar a feeling that she wanted to turn around and rage at the things which had stolen it away from her to begin with. The past, the dreams, the fire. But one couldn't fight a ghost of unfortunate events and memories.

Spike didn't press her for an answer, and it was over a full minute before he received a jerky nod.

Standing without putting her down, Spike ignored Buffy's halfhearted protest that she wasn't five, and carried her bridal style to the bed. Setting her on the quilts, he surreptitiously nuzzled his face into her hair too quickly for her to notice, and then pulled back. The warmth of her form beat like a drum on him. He missed holding her weight immediately once he'd released her.

Spike swiped a pillow quicker than a blink, and then one of the ten blankets from underneath her legs. Buffy just watched him, silent and confused as he sat on the floor and, with a casual drop of the pillow, straightened out. Putting one hand behind his head, he lay there. Still and on the ground as if he might just be ready to sleep, with a quilt that was too small to cover even half of him, and a squashed pillow.

Spike looked at her, and Buffy frowned. "What are you doing?"

He frowned back. "What do you mean?"

She gestured at his splayed out form and pursed her lips in annoyance. Was he supposed to sleep down there? Was she wrong to assume he'd share the bed with her? It was large enough. Well, they'd have to sleep close but still, no way was she letting him rest on the hard wooden floor of her bedroom. Especially when he was only staying here for her. "You're on the floor."

He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah."

She scowled at him. "You're not sleeping on the floor, Spike."

He sat up on one elbow. "I'll be leavin by mornin, pet. Unless, of course," he gave her a smirk that only managed to set her teeth on edge due to the fact that she felt awkward and knew she was blushing, "you don' mind your Grams findin me in here when she rises. Might scare the color back into her gray hair, whattya think?"

Ignoring that comment, she sent a glare his way and then waved her hand futilely at his resting place again. "I don't care if you are leaving soon, I don't want you sleeping on the floor!"

Spike's expression of pleasure at her flustered state changed then. He gave her an almost daring look, but it was gentler than that. He was asking a question with his eyes that underscored his vocal one. "Where should I sleep then?"

Buffy looked around the room. There was no furniture asides from one small wooden chair, her chest of drawers, and... well, not much else. She could have moved other things into her room, but the space wasn't that large and honestly, what would she need to move in? She was fine with things the way they were, and she liked the openness and the color of the wallpaper.

But there was absolutely no other place for a protective bleached Brit to sleep, and she didn't mind the thought of him sharing her bed, but she was afraid at this point that HE did.

Buffy glanced at him. "Well, um..."

*Oh, just bite the damn bullet.*

She sighed.

And bit. "We can share the bed."

His eyes snapped with amazement, but she didn't see it because she was avoiding his gaze specifically. Spike wasn't going to embarrass her any more than she already was, and though that blush was oh so pretty, he wanted Buffy to look at him again without guarded hesitance.

She felt more than heard him move, standing up and dropping the pillow back on her bed. He set the quilt down by her leg and then lifted the others, and Buffy moved without having to be asked. She snuggled beneath the blankets as he stripped off his duster and hung it on the short wooden bedpost, sliding in next to her a moment after.

Before she had a chance to mentally curse herself for mentioning the bed, or accepting his offer to stay with her until morning, he destroyed her rigid worry over how the hell she was supposed to fall asleep without touching him in this confined space. Slipping a strong arm around Buffy's waist, Spike hugged her; not too close, not too slack. "No funny business, love," he assured. "M'just gonna watch over you."

She let out a soft sigh, and relaxed in his arms. The support he offered was addicting; and as ridiculous as the notion was, she felt like bombs could be going off outside and Spike's simple presence would hold them at bay.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy inhaled his scent, something masculine and dark that she couldn't describe but knew undoubtedly that she didn't want to share. Unwittingly letting go of her worries, she burrowed into his chest and smiled thankfully when he tightened his hold.

Placing her hand on his ribcage, mistaking his shudder for a wince, she gentled her touch and said, "And you wanted to sleep on the floor with your ribs like this. Stupid Brit."

Spike worked on ignoring his rather heated reaction to her closeness, and asked. "Did you just call me a stupid Brit?"

She nodded in the affirmative, and looked up at him with a glint in her eye. He was so glad she was smiling rather than crying, and even happier that she'd let him stay. "Yep," she said.

Spike couldn't help but grin. "Get some sleep, kitten." He drew the blankets up higher.

With another nod, Buffy settled. Whenever her dreams woke her up in the middle of the night, she was always aggrieved to have to go back to bed, worried that they would start again. But now there was no fear, no worry that she would wake up gasping or crying.

She dozed off quickly, and deep sleep finally came after so long of having evaded her.

Spike didn't sleep. He didn't shut his eyes or let his gaze linger from Buffy. He watched her breathe evenly, held her warm soft weight in his grasp and mentally waged war against her nightmares. When she stirred once and a little line of distress appeared between her brows, he smoothed it with his fingertip, and murmured nonsense to her until she calmed.

It was peaceful, the rest of the hours that went by. Only when Spike sensed the oncoming threat of sunrise did he force himself to separate from her. She protested weakly in her sleep as he stretched and moved away, and it nearly undid him. There was something fundamentally right about holding her, letting Buffy sleep near him. It brought focus to some feelings he wasn't yet ready to examine, and underlined the protectiveness he already felt towards her.

After he slipped on his coat, Spike bent to leave a kiss on her lips. It was light, but he felt the smallest of pressures from her, as if she'd sensed the action in her sleep, and returned it.

He inhaled her scent, listening to the comforting sound of a human heartbeat he didn't like to think of ever stopping.

Pulling away reluctantly, he whispered, "Sweet dreams, Buffy."

With a heavy heart, the vampire left, feeling bereft when the freedom to hold his girl was taken away from him.
End Notes:
Reviews are always appreciated, thanks for reading! :D
(oh, and please, tell me now. Am i overdoing the nicknames? I just love them, im sorry. *bites nails*)
Chapter 17: Burned on My Brain, Inching Towards My Heart by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
I know I JUST hit the 2 week mark, sorry guys! But here's chapter 17, i hope you all enjoy! Thanks so much for reading and the reviews! Next chappie will be up in 2 weeks (at the latest).

also, if there are any obvious mistakes in this i apologize. I was very tired while posting and final-editing.
Spike's mind wandered quietly, searchingly. His thoughts carried a sadness with them, and as he was trying to flog off the gloomy feelings, he allowed his thoughts to be weaved around the girl he'd left sleeping sound.

He missed her.

It had only been ten minutes, the sun was rising, and instead of running his arse home to prevent ashy-Spike, he was simply walking and thinking.

Remembering, really. About his first time seeing Buffy, at the store in town. That sadness in her eyes that never quite quit, the smile that shone brighter than a beacon. Tripping her at the library (not completely on accident), having glaring contests with her and then friendly hellos at different intervals. Reading, knowing she was always close, remembering when that git had come in and hit on her right in front of him. Their recent fight, learning her name-

Spike paused, mentally shaking himself. *Elizabeth.*

Buffy had first introduced herself as 'Elizabeth' to that bloke who'd returned her wallet.

Well, damn.

How could he have forgotten hearing that name? It sure as hell was a lot more normal than 'Buffy.'

But maybe that was why he'd forgotten it.

He continued walking. Elizabeth was a beautiful name, but... regular; not as unique as Buffy actually was as a person. She clearly hadn't enjoyed that wanker's advances, the one who'd called her by her proper name so long ago. And Spike now knew that giving the name to anyone was rather unimportant to her.

Perhaps it was how she kept a distance from people. And maybe, it was also a part of the reason why Spike had drawn the conclusion that it was SHE who Blake was talking about at the diner. He'd subconsciously remembered the title 'Elizabeth.'

Yet, 'Buffy' was the one she kept mostly to herself.

Spike grinned, distracted as he stumbled over a rock. He felt like a halfwit teenager with a crush. She'd told HIM her favored name, the very first time they'd actually had a conversation.

Suddenly, the vampire's forlorn thoughts were slipping away. He refused to dwell on any deeper imbedded feelings. He refused to worry at all, for right now, he was happy. It wasn't often he could let himself soak that emotion up.

So, Spike sped home to avoid the sun, with a smile gracing his smirking lips.

><

She woke up alone.

Now, as familiar as she was with waking up to a bed... with just HER in it, a missing Spike was still disconcerting.

Partially because it was so unwelcomed. She knew he'd planned on leaving before sunrise, and while it was an intelligent decision considering Grams could walk in and see him (Buffy so didn't want to have to explain that), the girl, though well rested, felt lonely for his presence.

With a subconscious pout, yet determined not to start her day off with a despondent mind, Buffy slipped out of bed and stretched. The room was quiet, looking at the clock on her nightstand she saw that it was ten o'clock. The sun shone brightly from the still open window. A breeze so gentle it felt wielded by butterfly wings drifted through to caress her shoulders.

Shivering, and deciding to brush the sweaters off of her teeth, Buffy headed to the bathroom.

She ran into Grams.

"Mornin' dear."

The girl halted, and scowled, staring into her grandmother's eyes with an unasked question on her lips.

She held up a finger to tell Grams to hold on, and went back into her room. Picking up the clock, Buffy returned to Anne's side with it and pointed at the hour hand.

"It's ten in the morning."

The old woman nodded, raising a thin eyebrow at her granddaughter. "I'm aware of that."

Buffy shook her head and rubbed her tired eyes. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, sugar, I live here." She folded the washcloth she'd just used to dry her hands, frowning slightly over her shoulder. "Or have you forgotten?"

"You're never home in the mornings."

"Ain't true," Anne declared, hands now on hips. "I'm home often enough in the mornin', s'just that I haven't been lately."

Buffy blinked, and then shrugged. She set the little clock down on the bathroom counter and grabbed her toothbrush from its cup. She retrieved the toothpaste as well and said, "Do you remember me coming into your room last night to say goodnight?"

She saw Grams nod in the mirror.

"You were half asleep, so I wasn't sure," Buffy said.

A warm smile lit Anne's countenance. "I'm always pretty aware of things, darlin. Not much gets passed me."

Buffy spit out a mouthful of toothpaste and blushed at the look she got from her grandma. Did she know something? Had she heard Spike come in last night? Buffy hoped not.

She didn't want to think about it. Shoving both her anxieties and her toothbrush aside, she rinsed.

"So what's on your agenda for today?" Grams asked.

Buffy ran a hand through her bed head, deciding a shower would be the first thing on her to-do list. Then... "I'll have work later tonight."

Grams almost walked into the doorframe, as she had been about to go through it when Buffy dropped that tidbit of information. "You'll what now?"

Buffy smiled, trying and failing to not let self-consciousness show. "I got a job yesterday at Leonard's Place." She shrugged tightly. "He hired me on the spot, it's why I got home so late." *Along with one other reason,* Buffy silently added. Spike was distracting- to say the least -when it came to his mouth.

Grams blinked a few times, the shock evident. "You do know that I didn't mean you had to get a job immediately after I mentioned it, right darlin? Because I'll go and talk to Leo if-"

Buffy cut her off. "No, Grams. It's okay. I- I know that you didn't mean to..." She waved her hands vaguely. "It's okay. This is... good for me. Leonard's nice and-"

"He better be," Anne declared, the seriousness in her tone halting Buffy's words. "If he isn't he'll have ta deal with me, an believe it when I say he doesn't want that."

She held back a grin. Ah Grams, always protective. Buffy had no doubt that yes, Leonard would not want to deal with a pissed off Anne Summers. "Relax," she said. "He's very nice, and so is the waitress who trained me. Harriet? Do you know her?"

Anne squinted for a moment in thought, then nodded. "Oh yeah, she's a sweetheart, that one."

Buffy had to agree. "Yup. And thanks to her, I've already got a handle on waitressing again..." She chewed her bottom lip. "I think. The people are..." she searched for the right word, "chatty. But kind, and patient. I'm okay over there."

Grams eyed her for a minute, and Buffy could see the wheels turning in her head. Trying to gauge feelings, wondering if she'd need to threaten anyone to make sure her granddaughter was treated well at the diner, in town, everywhere. Then, with a little smile, "Alright," she said, "So long as you're comfortable."

Buffy bit her tongue to prevent the full truth of her feelings, about her dislike for the average talky customer, from spilling out. Instead, she nodded, and then answered in the affirmative to Grams' offer of eggs and bacon. She walked back into her room to retrieve her work blouse, scrunching her nose at the wrinkled state it was in. She never took it out of her bag last night, unfortunately.

Knowing she needed to wash it and- Oh good, the tag said dryer safe -then planning on eating breakfast before catching a shower, Buffy headed to the kitchen.

It was nice to not be so exhausted. She felt rather refreshed actually. She might have woken up to bad dreams, but only once, and then Spike was there and...

It was baffling, she thought, as she mechanically measured out detergent to start a load of laundry in the back porch off the kitchen. Her actions were focused but absentminded. Her mind trained thoroughly on what Spike had done for her; she'd never met someone like him.

He'd not only come back to check on her, but instead of waking up on the cold floor after the nightmare, she had come back to herself in his arms. He'd actually climbed through her window to hold her, and then he'd stayed.

Buffy shook her head, puzzlement on her face as she marveled over the man's actions. She shut the lid on the washer and pressed a couple of buttons before resting her hands on the flat surface. Her mind was in weird swirling patterns, thoughts mixed in with emotions. Feelings blooming and growing, a nagging ache in her heart when she tried to ignore them.

Spike was just getting so close, but Buffy didn't have it in her to shut him out anymore. She probably hadn't since their kind-of-a-date with the kissage in the attic. She wouldn't even try at this point to separate from him. Not only wouldn't he let her, but she craved his company. And she loved and wanted the comfort she felt when she was around him.

Thinking about it now, and letting loose a breath of shock with the revelation, she didn't believe she'd ever slept as soundly as she had last night. Especially not since the fire. She'd been way too tired to think much about how Spike made her feel last night; the safety and security, the rightness about it. The warmth. She wanted him to hold her again, because as much as he'd seen her vulnerability last night- something Buffy still couldn't quite think about without inwardly grimacing -he'd also given her strength.

Being the least bit dependent on anything had always made her feel like she was in an open void, exposed to danger. But Spike... He showed her it was okay. A little danger could leave you with gifts wrapped in black leather.

Buffy sighed after a shudder went through her. Her thoughts were cycling, and treading on uncomfortable ground. It was time to take a break from Spike-reflection for awhile.

Or at least try.

><

He was dreaming. Sunshine colored hair, her face, her touch. Buffy's laughter filtered through his ears, and Spike was smiling.

Holding onto her, the imprint of her body pressed up against him, while his blood felt like it was running. His heart felt like it beat.

She ran a hand gently through his hair, smiling in a way that made his useless breath catch. He could only see her face, the rest of her was immersed in sunlight; yet Spike could tell from the fabric beneath his fingertips that she was wearing that dress. Her waist expanded with every inhale beneath his hands, Buffy's heartbeat thumped reassuringly in his ears.

He leaned down, pressing his forehead to hers and her smile grew. She leaned upwards, nuzzling his nose with her own before meeting his lips for a kiss. Sweetness burned him. His hands glided upwards over her back, where his palms caressed smooth, warm skin.

They broke apart much too soon for his liking, but his lips eagerly went to her throat. Her blood pumped steadily beneath the surface, a liquid treasure he wanted to taste. Before he had a chance to urge his demon down, he heard her voice.

"Do it."

Spike pulled back, shock painted on his face. But when he met her warm, reassuring eyes, all doubts and questions slowly dissipated. He read in her gaze the acceptance there, the love, the trust. He nodded instead of trying to speak around the tightness in his throat. His lips feathered along her neck.

She gasped softly at the touch of his tongue, and his hold tightened. Spike pulled her flush against him, his grip becoming desperate and he told himself over and over again not to hurt her. He wanted to consume her, wanted to bind her to him forever, never let her go.

She was giving him that.

His fangs descended gratefully. The demon howled, its yearning a roar in his ears. Spike's heart shot up into his throat as he pierced her skin, and the instant before her blood met his tongue, he woke up.

Or more accurately, was woken up.

With ice water.

"Bloody hell!" He scrambled back from the wave. Ace, Rex, and Blake stood at the foot of his bed, the first holding a now half empty bucket.

The rest of that bucketful was soaking Spike's bed. And Spike.

"Morning asshole," Blake announced, his gaze very unsympathetic.

Wide blue eyes blinked, and then Spike glowered at the three of them. The remnants of his dream rippled through his focusing mind, and the beginnings of a growl started in the depths of his throat.

Claiming. Somewhere, at some point in time, he had read about the ancient act. So long ago, in fact, that it might have even been before he was turned. His subconscious had finally decided to remind him of it; and now, with water soaking his sheets and his fangs itching, Spike had a thousand questions on something he knew barely anything about. Something the demon inside him apparently- innately -knew of, all too well.

He glared even harder at his friends. "What the-"

"Fuck are we doing?" Ace interjected. "Waking you up."

Blake smiled, meanly. "You snuck in after we'd already gone to bed. And personally, none of us were too pleased that you'd decided to stay gone until morning, leaving all of US with the research."

"And the cat," Rex added.

"AND the worrying," Ace contributed, his gaze scolding. "With this Flora chick, Spike, what were you thinking staying out the entire night without telling us where you were?"

"What the hell were you doing at a human's house, anyway?"

Spike turned sharply at Rex's question. The array of proclamations had all just fallen short to that last one. "How'd you know where I was?"

"Well, after we found you on the map," Blake began, "we had to go check and make sure you weren't lying under a lead weighted net, now didn't we?"

Spike's eyes turned to slits, the blue diamond hard. His irked demon was suddenly prowling within a tiny cage. "You followed me," he growled, so softly his words could have almost been called a whisper.

He noticed Blake's eyes turn swiftly wary, his empath abilities obviously picking up on the dangerous vibes coming from the vampire in bed. Rex stood stone faced, his arms crossed over a wide chest, and Ace raised an eyebrow. "We came after you when it had been a few hours, and we saw the house you stayed at. We assumed..." Black eyes narrowed. "You stay with that diner girl, Spike?"

Ace and the other two were backing up a split second later, Spike striding forward threateningly until he'd forced them to the door. His nudity went ignored, and his eyes were flashing amber as he tried to control an unfathomable territorial impulse. His demon was on the edge of a fence, ready to pounce at friend or foe as he guarded an angel behind him.

Blake stepped forward first when they'd finally met with the wall. Staring into Spike's granite face and before the vampire could speak, he said, "Reign it in, man. We were just looking for you. Once we got there and knew you were inside, we left."

He bit back another growl and his nostrils flared. Turning abruptly, Spike headed for his chest of drawers. Wondering idly, and with aggravation, why he hadn't sensed his friends last night.

It bothered him. He should have known they were there.

He was slipping into a pair of Levis when Ace spoke up. "Look, we were worried about you, which is why we did the locater spell. If you hadn't been gone so long we would've let you be."

Spike's fists clenched, and he resisted an urge to release his fangs. "And I wouldn't have woken up to a cold shower this mornin, I take it?"

"It's four in the afternoon, and no, you wouldn't have." Rex released a breath and added, "Kinda looked like you needed it for a minute there, though, with the tent in the sheets."

Ace, throwing a scolding look at the thunderbird, went to the bathroom to empty the bucket of water in his hands. Blake glanced at Spike as he passed. "He isn't tense because of the water thing," Blake said, "But m'sure it didn't help any."

Rex, raising an eyebrow at the rigid vampire who stood toweling his hair not far away, asked, "Why exactly is he tense then, oh intelligent one?"

Blake grinned, "Do you think he's always been..." the empath rolled his shoulders in faux contemplation with a sigh, "the possessive sort, Rex?"

He sniffed. "What, you're talking about this diner girl?"

Blake bit back a chuckle when he saw Spike tense further, and knew he had honed into their conversation, was listening intently to each response and word coming from their mouths. "Precisely."

Rex squinted, and Blake caught a sudden almost playful glint enter the other man's eyes. Then challenge followed the glint with a twinkle.

Humming thoughtfully, stare trained on Spike, Rex said, "She must be pretty special, huh? Wonder if I'll be meetin her anytime soon."

Blake grinned at the prod. "Maybe you will," he responded. "It is a small town, after all."

"And we know where she lives now, too. Could pay a neighborly visit-"

Rex was on the floor and struggling beneath a fully fanged, snarling vampire a heartbeat later. He and Spike wrestled, one party fighting with simple irritation, and the demon on top ready to spill blood.

"What the hell are you idiots doing?!"

"Relax." Blake waved Ace off when he came storming back into the room, before approaching the rolling pile of limbs to extract Rex easily. He shoved Spike off as the vamp went for him again, and said, "He was only joking, Spike."

"None of you go near her, is that understood." This gruff demand/not-so-much-a-question cut through the air, and even though his friends still looked both shocked and amused over his protectiveness for a random human girl, there was respect in their eyes.

Rex, smothering a laugh, straightened and nodded with something close to a smile, while Ace reaffirmed Blake's nod with a verbal agreement; and he wasn't grinning with mirth like the empath.

Deciding his point had been made, Spike tensely walked out of his bedroom and made his way downstairs. He noticed Dylan in the living room, sitting on the couch as he worked on the computer.

"Spike?"

"What?" he snapped. His mood wasn't the prettiest.

Dylan ignored his tone and held up a ball of fur over his head. Green eyes blinked, and a meow was heard. "She keeps climbing all over my keyboard, will you please take her?"

Spike smiled oh so reluctantly as he grabbed up his little pet, and rolled his eyes when she immediately started to purr. The only one he could stand in this house was a bloody feline, what did that say about his friends anyway?

Entering the kitchen, he saw Stevo and rolled his eyes again when he noticed the annoyance on the other man's face.

"Don't look at me like that."

"You couldn't even call."

"With what, my lighter?" He put the cat on the countertop and grabbed a can of food from the overhead cabinet.

Stevo grumbled something in a language Spike was sure was of mixed dialects, and flipped a page in the book he had open.

Suddenly, the memory of what he had wanted to do for Buffy and her nightmares came back full force- along with the confusing, primitive memory of his dream. His blood started to simmer, lust and longing threatened to rear their torturous heads. But Spike decided he'd try and take care of what he knew he could at the moment; and he eyed the gypsy journal his friend was scanning through.

Averting his contemplating stare, Spike asked, "Could you make a charm?"

Stevo looked up, and raised an eyebrow at the abrupt question.

The vamp sighed as he set out the kitten chow. "One for keepin away nightmares."

The man on his left turned and leaned back against the counter, crossing his arms over his chest as he frowned at him. "Are you having bad dreams?"

"Ain't me, it's for..." he sighed, knowing what would come after he said this, "a friend."

Stevo hummed, and replied, "For the girl you stayed out with all night?"

Spike fought off a groan, and instead slanted Stevo a look of ice. "Yes, and before you start thinkin I was ditchin you lot to-"

"Oh, I already do, but I'm guessing you're about to explain HOW you weren't out last night with a woman while we worked and argued until five thirty. Not to mention, hunting you down to make sure you weren't ash, in between."

Spike grit his teeth, closing his eyes to try and regain some semblance of patience. "I need a charm for nightmares, can you make one or not?"

"For who?"

"You bloody well know who!"

"This Elizabeth girl?" Stevo raised a brow. "Funny. Thought you didn't care much about humans, William."

Spike growled low in his throat, and then took a step forward. "Look, m'not sorry I skipped out on all a you last night, I had somethin to take care of- And no," he held up a hand to halt Stevo's interruption, "I wasn't gettin shagged. Believe it or not, I was helpin out a friend. And I need a charm, now will you soddin make one or not?"

Stevo narrowed his eyes, studying Spike and the vamp's apparent sincerity without veil. He was trying to read him, which usually, since Spike was a master at trying to hide his feelings, wasn't the easiest thing to do unless you were Blake.

Stevo finally sighed, deciding to believe the frustrating Billy Idol wannabe, and nodded. "Yeah. I can make a charm. It won't take away all dreams, just ones with negative or upsetting results to the body and mind."

Obviously. Spike knew that stopping dreaming altogether was out of the question, that sent people into insanity. But bad dreams... they were something that could be knocked out. "It won't hurt the person, you can make it so there's no side effects, right?" He still had to ask.

Stevo nodded again, going to one of the cabinets and retrieving some herbs he knew they had on hand. "It will be harmless, and fortunately, I think you have everything needed."

Inwardly, Spike let out a breath of relief. "How long will it take?"

"I can have it finished by tonight."

"Good."

He moved to the refrigerator to get a bloodbag, and Stevo asked, "What do you want it on?"

He paused, his hand on the fridge door. "Think a bracelet'll do? S'just a simple chain... s'got a stone on it."

"That will work," Stevo answered, and he started setting out some empty bowls before grabbing his journal on the other side of the counter from across the stove. He put a bookmark in place between large, thin pages, and then went searching for the spells he would need towards the beginning of the book. "So," he said, "your girl has trouble sleeping, then?"

His girl. Spike liked the sound of that. And even though he didn't exactly like having to tell Stevo about Buffy's nightmares, he couldn't deny anything at this point. He needed the charm; and even if he'd lied and said it was for him or some random stranger rather than the unknown "diner girl," He knew Stevo would have figured out the truth in a heartbeat. "Yeh. She uh... she does."

Stevo caught Spike ducking his head, and the look of discomfort on his face. "It's why you stayed out last night, isn't it?" Although a question, his voice made it clear that this guess had been more of a realized fact; and they both knew it.

A sigh but nothing else was confirmation enough for the gypsy. He went back to flipping through his journal. "You try not to let yourself feel, friend; when in reality, you feel more than a lot of humans." He moved back to the herbs and was talking again before Spike could predictably protest. "I'll have the charm finished before nightfall, and I promise it will work for her. All I need is the bracelet."

Spike left the kitchen, planning to retrieve just that.

><

Later, when the bewitching hour finally drifted through, Buffy untied her apron. She'd spent the majority of the day working, and the time before that reading at home and being with Grams. As well as trying to avoid thinking about a certain man with sapphire blue eyes and a smirk that could turn knees to jelly.

She'd almost called him to say hi, but that was before she'd decided he was busy with those friends who were staying with him. And she didn't want to cling, even if she did miss him.

So, she'd focused on being Elizabeth again, as she waited tables and took orders and filled coffee cups. It hadn't been too bad, really. The people questioned her just as much, if not more, but her tips were good. Everyone, polite if not a bit nosy, was patient if she got an order wrong, and Harriet never let that smile droop.

All in all, it wasn't a horrible day, but towards nine she'd started to get very... Her mind had wandered, drifted, gone dark; she'd had to go into the washroom just once to get a hold of herself. Maybe it was because she was tired by that time, or the numerous orders and all of the running around had taken toll on her brain, but she needed a breather.

Now, with her feet sore and the rest of her body ready to hit a mattress- or maybe the spray of a hot shower -Buffy was heading to the back to grab her things and leave.

She didn't work tomorrow, thank God. She needed a break.

Switching shirts quickly, she forced her mind not to zone out. She'd been doing pretty well other than that fallout earlier in the evening, and she didn't want to ruin it. Buffy mentally calculated little things in her head, like her route home, what songs she could listen to while walking, the lure of a bed.

Picking up her bag, she left the restaurant, saying goodnight to Harriet and Leonard on the way out.

She didn't expect to run into anyone just as she was putting in her headphones.

"Spike!

He'd hugged Buffy from behind, and now he was spinning her to face him. She'd only recognized who it was from the leather encased arms which had wrapped firmly about her waist, and now she was breathing hard and trying to calm her heart rate.

"Don't do that!"

Spike chuckled. "Serves you right, Goldilocks. You were walkin home alone." He met her slanted glittering eyes and smirked.

Buffy humphed at his strangely pleased expression, deciding he liked riling her up, and then immediately realizing what he'd just said. "Well, who am I supposed to walk home with, one of the busboys?"

She didn't know what made her say it, because honestly, why would she ever ask anyone to walk her home in this little town? But Buffy took perverse pleasure in the look that came over Spike's face once the words had left her lips.

"You're supposed to let me walk you home," he declared, his brow furrowing.

Ah, more perverse pleasure, especially at the way his hold on her waist had tightened. Buffy smiled. "Well, you weren't here," she replied.

"I'm here now," and he leaned in, claiming her lips for a kiss. His touch burned in an all too much kind of way, and her nerves buzzed. Moaning inaudibly, pressing closer to his body, Buffy dropped her bag.

Spike traced her lips with his tongue and clutched a little tighter when she wrapped her arms around his neck. He almost purred when he felt her nails in his hair, lightly scraping, twining. Her tongue peaked out to play, and he took it between his lips greedily. Sucking and teasing, tasting. He felt every inch of her against his body. A warm blanket, like living flame in his hands.

A shuddering breath escaped when she pulled back, as oxygen was needed, but Spike dove back in half a moment later. Buffy moaned and a whimper caught in her throat, her blood rushing.

He was losing control, carnal urges rising like waves as each second passed. He pulled her closer, higher. He wanted to be inside, he wanted to feel her beneath him. Joined and slick, meeting, their bodies sliding against and into each other. The dame was his, and he wanted to have her. Wanted to show her, touch her, take her.

Instead, Spike pulled back, gasping for unneeded air though it felt anything but. She just made him... Fuck, she made him dizzy. Like a flickering candle flame in the wind. She sent him whirling.

Spike took her hand. "You'll have to give me your work schedule," he murmured.

"Why?" Buffy swallowed as she tried to gather her wits. She broke eye contact with him and took a shaky breath, then met those beautiful pools of blue again when he answered her.

"So I can walk you home at night." Spike smirked a little, and started doing just that. He lead her away from Leonard's Place.

He'd already decided to always walk her home after sunset, and he wasn't budging on that. Of course, he might have to follow her without her knowing sometimes, or call her ahead of time just to find out where she was. He figured Buffy wouldn't be working every night, and he needed to be sure no matter where she was in town, that if it was dark, she wasn't alone.

He'd taken the time to wait and see if Flora was anywhere in sight before he'd joined her just now, and he'd be keeping his senses open to make sure the she-vamp wasn't poking her nose around at all. Once she got brave again, Flora would come back, and possibly with backup. The very last thing he needed was for Buffy to be caught in the middle.

Or God forbid, be used to hurt him.

She looked up when Spike tightened his grip around her fingers, his metal rings warming from the heat of her hand. They'd been walking in silence for a little under five minutes, and it was comfortable, so Buffy didn't break it. It was still comfortable, but she sensed some unease from him now. "You okay?"

He met her eyes and the emotions there startled her. He looked... wholly worried, but then it was gone. Spike masked whatever was there so quickly, that now she wasn't even sure she'd seen it at all.

He pulled her closer as they walked and said, "Everything's fine, lamb." Glancing at her, gaze focusing on her throat, he asked, "Um... ya like jewelry, right?"

Buffy glimpsed down at her locket. Bittersweet memories fought to enter her mind, but instead, she focused on the nice singular one of her mom. Her laughter, her hugs...

Buffy sighed through the nose as a soft smile relaxed her mouth, and she turned back to Spike. "Not particularly, but sorta, yeah."

He cleared his throat, then, awkwardly, reached into one of his duster's pockets. "I've got somethin for you."

Buffy fought back what she was sure would be a very, very wide grin. She'd never seen him look all boyish and nervous, but suddenly, the swaggering, leather wearing Brit with the bleach job was acting like a young teenager on his first date. Buffy could barely keep her "Awe" from coming out.

And then, a gasp she could not contain, was heard in the thin autumn air. He showed her a small silver bracelet. Its chain shiny in the light of a streetlamp, and a beautiful amber stone inlaid in a silver oval with tiny ornate designs. The amber was orange and filled with swirls of brown and gold throughout; the little gem gleamed.

And he was holding it out to her.

"Spike... W-What-"

He cut her off, and oh lord she actually thought she saw a blush. "It's for nightmares," he explained.

She blinked, wide-eyed, up at him. "What?"

He visibly tensed even more than he already was. "One a my friends, he um... He's a gypsy."

Buffy frowned at that. "A gypsy."

Spike shifted, not meeting her eyes. "S'what I just said, ain't it?"

"As in the crystal ball, palm reading sort of gypsy?"

He bit back a smirk and said, "Sort of."

"Okay..." Buffy started walking again, having stopped before when he'd pulled the bracelet out. She eyed it questioningly and gave Spike a dubious look. "And he... did something to this bracelet?"

Spike nodded. "Like I said, it'll keep your nightmares away."

Buffy idly wondered if Spike was just a tad on the loony side. "Uh, no offense Spike, but I'm not really into superstition." She tried to wave him off nonchalantly and continue the walk home.

He grasped her arm and made her stop to face him, the look in his eyes wasn't crazed or pleading, but patient and determined. "Well, I am. And believe it or not Buffy, if you wear the bracelet when you sleep, you'll actually be able to get some bloody rest."

She scoffed a laugh. "What, is it like spelled or something?"

He shrugged, avoiding eye contact again. "Well, yeah."

She halted her thoughts, frowning hard at Spike and his... weirdness. He looked sheepish and awkward, and was acting like he was completely and one hundred percent serious on this bracelet issue. Buffy's brow puckered and rose. "Spike, look this is really... nice, but I don't think it'll work."

He took her arm again. She let him slip the bracelet onto her wrist, and couldn't help but notice how pretty it looked on. She sighed. As much as she thought he was being strangely protective in a completely ridiculous sort of way, the look in his eyes...

He held her hand, squeezing it. "Just try it, and if it doesn't work, then you don' have ta wear it anymore."

Buffy frowned harder still. This was just majorly bizarre.

Yet there was something...

She looked back down at the amber stone.

It couldn't hurt, she supposed. Though, she was a little wigged out by what Spike's other friends were like if one was supposed to be a... gypsy.

Eyeing the bracelet, Buffy took in its beauty again, and she smiled a little. "It is gorgeous," she claimed, and with a sigh, folded. "Alright, I'll try it." She pointed at him. "But don't get disappointed when it doesn't work."

The bright smile that followed her announcement was totally worth wearing a hundred be-spelled bracelets.

><

Buffy had just finished getting ready for bed, having snacked on some cold chicken from the fridge while talking with Grams for a few minutes before deciding to hit the hay. Spike had walked her home and seen her safely inside, after, of course, a few more steamy kisses.

She shuddered. Just thinking about it got her blood going.

Which wasn't the best idea if she wanted to try and get some rest. Buffy eyed the bed. Then she eyed her wrist.

This bracelet was... well, she hadn't been lying when she'd told him it was beautiful. But a part of Buffy thought it might be prettier if Spike had given it to her out of a desire to present her with a gift, just because; rather than some nutty belief that a charmed piece of jewelry would keep nightmares away.

She could tell he wasn't pulling her leg, he meant what he'd said. Spike truly thought that she would sleep peacefully now, and as nice as the thought was- that a little bracelet could keep away all crappy subconscious tortures -it was also fanciful, unrealistic, wishful thinking. Ridiculous.

Buffy climbed into bed. If only he'd given it to her because he simply thought she would like it. Was it so bad that she kind of wanted to be thought of as a girl instead of a charity case?

Well, she supposed that wasn't fair. If Spike honestly thought this "magic bracelet" would help her, then he was being very kind, and thoughtful. He didn't want her to be in pain, and if the idea wasn't so ludicrous to her, Buffy could see herself being immensely grateful for the gift instead of questioning its relativity to... God, to what? She didn't even know why it bothered her!

"Ugh, get a grip, Buffy," she told herself, and hit her pillow a couple of times before resting her head. She took a deep breath and released it, and she stared down at the little amber stone dangling from her wrist again. The swirls and oranges and golds were easy to follow, the stone so clear and pretty that she could trace the intricacies with her eyes in only the moonlight.

She could let her mind drift, to that place where she spent time when she read mystical books, magical stories with fairies or vampires, things she ordinarily would not believe in but let herself for a little while because she entered those worlds when she read about them. If she allowed her tired mind to go there, to her own fanciful place and let an imagination many people forgot they even had, take over, she could almost believe this bracelet really was magic.

Buffy closed her heavy lids, only to lift them again at the sound of wind swishing through the tall grasses near her window. She'd left it open, and this time it wasn't just to get fresh air.

She wondered if Spike might come by. She wanted that window open for him if he did. He might not enter, but he could if she flipped off the bed again. And even though Buffy felt a little childish for wishing he could keep her company, and be there to rescue her from her own mind if the need arose, all she had to do was remember what it felt like when he was there lying next to her, and she felt nothing but both lonely and comforted at the same time. There was no shame in wanting him close, even for her.

Staring again at the bracelet, Buffy fiddled with it for a moment before her fatigue finally took over, and she drifted into sleep.

A heavy, dreamless sleep.
End Notes:
Please review :) Thanks for reading!
Chapter 18: The New One by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Okay so this is fresh off the presses, if you see many mistakes i apologize. And if it is hard to read let me know.
Also, thank you all for the reviews and for still reading this fic!

Finally, my muse has been a bitch lately with this story. I JUST made my deadline again and ugh i just hope you all enjoy this chapter! (P.S. I recently wrote a oneshot which i had started a while ago, but i finished it and posted it yesterday as an attempt to get away from this fic and maybe therefore refresh my muse. Didn't really work but if you're interested you can check out Red Bloody Lipstick (a mating fic)!
The loud unfamiliar sound of a telephone blared throughout the house.

The occupants awoke with six tired groans, heads throbbed and were lifted while others got buried beneath pillows to ignore the threat of wakefulness. Curses were muttered, tired protests uttered in foreign or nonexistent languages.

"Why, in the name of every-fucking-thing ever, is that phone ringing?" Blake's statement was preceded by a moan.

"I didn't even know the bastard had a telephone," Rex growled.

"First, the guy gets a cat, then a house phone. We're his only friends, who could possibly be calling him?"

"And at eleven AM." Dylan's statement raised three more groans from those surrounding him on the floor of the living room.

Ace finally lifted his mussed head, anger and retribution clear in his half open eyes as he glared in the direction of the kitchen.

"Ace..." the caution filled inquiry held a tone of tired begging, "It's too early to get that look on your face, please don't hunt down the person on the other end of that phone and give them the flu."

"Why the hell not?" Ace snapped, eyes still fixed on the kitchen entryway.

"Because I'll kill you, now shut up and go back to sleep." Spike's voice, rough and curt, shot through the room just as a blurred shape in nothing but jeans dashed by to answer the ringing device.

Blake raised one curious eyebrow, his expression bored but a little more alert as Ace's head fell back down with a humph.

"I bet you money it's the chick."

Blake glanced at Rex and then to Dylan, a question in his mocking, derisive gaze. "Why would she ever actually call him?"

Grabbing Dylan's pillow to cover his ears, Ace snarled, "Shut the hell up, all of you!"

"Better question is, why would she call at eleven?" Dylan's frustrated brown eyes landed on the thief, and he swiped back his pillow to rest his head again. "We're not normal. We're asleep at this freaking time," he grumbled.

Blake barely noticed when his own pillow was snatched, as he and Rex were both busy focusing on the single voiced conversation in the kitchen. Even when Stevo ambled tiredly down the steps from the guest bedroom, his eyes scolding as they landed on the two eavesdroppers, neither bothered to turn his way.

"What are you-"

"Shh!" they both ordered. Begrudgingly, the gypsy propped himself against the wall and closed his eyes... then opened his ears.

><

"Buffy-"

"It worked," her frantic questioning continued."Why did it work? I know enough about my sleeping habits to know that I didn't just get lucky, Spike. And when I woke up, it was glowing!"

He scratched his head. "What was glowing?"

"The stone! The amber stone on the bracelet that you gave me."

Spike winced at her tone, it was panicky and accusing at the same time. "I told you what it was... I told you it would keep nightmares away, Buffy. S'not my fault you didn' believe-"

"Spike, you told me that your friend who's a GYPSY made me a special bracelet that would keep away bad dreams."

Her reiteration confused him, and he slowly raised an eyebrow. "Yeah..."

He heard her sigh. "Nobody would believe that!"

"But now you do."

"Well- I-..." Her throat tightened up, catching on her words, and Spike could practically see her forehead wrinkling. "I don't know what the hell to believe! I just- I go to bed, have a peaceful night's sleep, and then I wake up and the freaking stone looks like it's on fire. I threw it off so quick, Spike-"

"Buffy, relax." He rubbed his forehead, inwardly cursing Stevo and his witchy ways. "Sometimes charms like the one I gave you can glow and sparkle or whatnot, but they never harm you. I promise." He sighed, trying to think calmly and clearly- Not an easy thing to do right now. "Is it still glowin?" he asked.

Silence, for a moment. Then, "No. It stopped after it hit the wall."

He frowned. "Hit the what?"

"Well... I kinda threw it INTO the wall after I woke up."

Spike shook his head quickly. "Why the bleedin hell would you-"

"I told you, it was glowing, Spike! I freaked out, and you can't really blame me because you never told me about its little trick!"

Jaw clenching, hand running through his hair, he fought not to yell. "Alright, alright, look... Is the stone broken?"

"No," she said.

"Good." Spike thought for a moment... Then, an idea- not favored, but still -popped into his head. "Look... can you come over today? You can talk to the bloke who made the bracelet... Or enchanted it, rather. And he can make sure it's still workin properly."

A beat.

"Y-You want me to... to come over?" she stuttered. "Even with your friends there?"

"Yes." He idly scratched his chest, wondering if this plan would work out at all well. "Stevo, he's the gypsy fella I told you 'bout; he's one of the friends who're stayin with me. He can explain to ya how he made the charm, and even though ya might not believe what he tells you... You can try."

Silence rested on the other end of the line for a couple of seconds before she said, "Try to believe it?"

He nodded, both to reassure himself and out of response. "Yes."

"Spike... I don't know-"

"You said you didn' have any bad dreams last night, right?"

She puffed a sigh. "Right."

"Then the bracelet did exactly what I told you it was s'posed to."

He heard silence again, and just when he was ready to tell her to believe him, to relax and to trust HIM, he didn't have to.

"Alright. When do you want me?"

Spike actually smiled a little before giving her directions to his place. "Come by within the hour if you can. If not, that's fine, too. I'll be here all day."

"Okay. I'll be there soon, then."

"Bye now, love."

"Bye Spike."

He returned the receiver to its cradle, smothering a groan as he planted his forehead against the wall. Resisting the urge to bang it.

He couldn't believe the charm had actually upset her, it was supposed to help, not make Buffy load up on questions.

She was uneasy. Why? Because surprise, surprise the bracelet had actually worked! No bad dreams. Now she was doubtful and confused. She wanted to give it back, and Spike needed her to keep wearing it. She had to.

He didn't think he could handle the thought of her thrashing around in her bed every night. He'd checked on her last evening after doing a quick patrol, and all was peaceful. But she wanted to give the thing that supplied that peace, up; her stubbornness was going to hurt her. Which most of this WAS stubbornness, a desire NOT to be helped or "pitied."

Add that to her dubiousness, and you had one alarmed girl who needed to be reassured.

So, he'd invited her over to meet the gypsy in charge of her trinket's makeup.

Consequently, that also meant meeting the rest of the crew.

"We entertaining?"

He cast a disgruntled glance at the smiling empath in the doorway, who was shadowed by a grumbling Stevo. Spike grabbed the coffeepot and muttered an affirmative to the asked question, his jaw clenching.

"Well, well... Maybe getting woken up after five hours of sleep was worth it."

Spike ignored him as the brunette strode through the room and sat at the island, followed by Stevo who, dark and disheveled, looked ready to pounce on the open container of coffee grounds and eat them raw.

A yawn from the doorway caught everyone's attention, and Rex stood there looking tired but much less irritated than Dylan, who shoved past only to plop into a lone chair. His eyes were closed, his dark blonde hair askew and his face begging for anything that would help him feel even half alive.

"Ace still asleep, I presume?" Spike asked as he turned on the stove, magic black caffeine ready to be perked.

An angry shout came from the living room. "No!"

Blake snorted, his laughing eyes no longer fogged with sleep. "That answer your question, buddy?"

Spike sighed. Stevo grumbled softly from the corner, Rex yawned again, and Dylan sniffed a silent laugh.

The man still standing in the doorway asked, "So was that your diner chick who woke all of us up?"

"Yeah," Dylan griped, "was it?"

Spike grumbled something that sounded confirming, and his friends took it as such. Rex smirked, Dylan's interest peeked and his eyes finally fully opened, Stevo remained silent but watchful. Blake grinned.

Spike ground his teeth together when he caught the look, trying hard to ignore the impulse to physically remove it from Blake's face.

"So when's she comin over?" he asked.

"Soon." Spike stared again at the coffeepot, willing it to perk. "So once this caffeine is in your systems, clean up, and when she gets here don't-"

"What?" Rex interrupted. " 'Bother' her?"

Spike turned to him, his jaw tight. "Actually I was gonna say embarrass yourselves, but yeah, don't pester her either."

Rex, and even Dylan, managed halfhearted glares at that before Blake asked, "She's human right?"

"Yes, and she's only comin over to talk with Stevo and me."

Dylan scoffed, his heavy head resting on an open palm. "Good luck with that."

"What now?" Stevo asked, distracting Spike from that last comment.

"She wants to know more about the charm."

"Charm?" Blake inquired with cheery interest.

The vampire sighed, this time the sound long and drawn out, starting from the tips of his toes. He noted that the coffee had begun doing its little gurgling before turning to the gypsy. "It worked, of course, and now she's..." he sighed again, waving vaguely with one hand. "She's skeptical and just wants ta ask you a few questions, that alright?"

Stevo studied him, considering something behind shrewd dark eyes. After a moment or two, seemingly coming to an unknown conclusion of his own, he nodded. "It's fine by me. Though," he cast a glance around the room, "the rest of them will have to keep any supernatural conversations or jokes out of her earshot, I take it?"

Avoiding eye contact, and inwardly grimacing, Spike replied, "Yes."

Suddenly, all attention was on him. Blue-green and brown and yellow eyes focused on the stiffening of his shoulders, on the clenching of his fists at his sides.

It would take a while to explain to a bunch of superbeings why they would have to hide who they were from a human who was going to be in their midst, one that didn't know a thing about the demon world.

Especially when she was kind of dating the vampire of the group.

*This should be fun,* Spike thought with a groan.

><

Buffy threw on a heavy sweater over a T-shirt, grabbed her bag and then sighed very loudly before striding through her front door. Her nerves were sizzling beneath her skin, and not in the good way.

She'd showered, dried her hair, and then applied as much makeup as fifteen minutes would allow. Her mind was blanking every other moment and her heart felt like a sledgehammer hitting drywall.

The bracelet glowed, she hadn't woken up in a cold sweat, Spike invited her over to talk to the guy who'd "enchanted" the amber stone (like this was some freaking movie), and he had a bunch of friends at his place. She was scared and she was freaking out and she was nervous, today already kind of totally sucked Buffy decided, and she couldn't catch her breath.

Pausing in her stride, placing one hand against a nearby tree, leaning forward, she focused on breathing. In and out, in and out. Slowly... There, good.

She swallowed, and allowed herself a moment of mental reprieve.

Just thirty seconds of quiet, a pause from mental whirling and worrying.

Okay... better.

Now. Everything would be fine. It was okay to be freaking out a little. She felt overwhelmed, for sure, but she needed to get herself together because Spike would never give her anything to harm her, it was just a bracelet, and his friends (no matter how strange they might turn out to be) would not try and do anything to hurt her either.

A magic bracelet was not... the craziest thing she'd ever heard of, she just didn't know if she could believe it.

And she needed to seriously open her mind, Buffy realized. Before she got to Spike's place, right away, she needed to be calm but prepared for anything.

Now.

She breathed out, slowly, evenly again... Okay. She could do this. Walking once more, this time determined and with confidence, she headed in the direction Spike had told her. Luckily he didn't live too far at all.

She stopped almost every three minutes, though, wishing for more time and gathering courage or trying to hang onto it, she wasn't sure.

Until finally, she was there.

Her feet crunched on dry leaves as she entered a clearing, the wind played delicately with the ends of her haphazard ponytail, and Buffy exhaled.

The place was white brick and two stories tall. It had healthy vines growing up on one side, their leaves still turning to reddish colors, outlining a couple of black framed windows. There were steps leading up to a maroon front door, two windows covered by thick curtains to the left of that.

As a matter of fact, all of the windows she could see were covered by dark, blackish-purple curtains. They gave the house an elegant, closed off feel. Buffy almost wished there were iron gates protecting this place. It had something about it that let an onlooker believe someone with money and power lived inside.

She shook her head. She didn't know where her brain was going, and realized yet again that pesky butterflies still fluttered around in her stomach. What she would give to make them go away.

Taking a quick breath, she approached the door and knocked. Once, twice. Then, the entryway was opened for her and there stood a familiar, cocky countenance.

"Hey, dollface."

Buffy blinked. A frown immediately appeared between her brows.

And the next thing she knew, she was being tugged inside a warm toned hallway by a dashing man wearing nothing but a pair of jeans. His chest was shiny and his eyes were so glittery she could've sworn they were turquoise gems. Blake's hair was jet black and dripping, he looked like he'd just gotten out of the shower and Buffy felt distracted because his giddy mood was infectious and she did not want to be infected.

"We've been expectin you," he said, with a still brightening grin.

"I- I-" Buffy swallowed. "Spike asked me to come over."

"Oh I know," he placed a hand at her back to guide her through the hallway. "Your phone call woke all of us up way before we were ready to leave our beds."

That was not something she wanted to hear. "I'm sorry-"

"Don't worry about it, we had some coffee, we'll be fine. Besides, you're worth a little lost sleep." He winked, and Buffy tried not to wring her hands anxiously. "And I'm pretty sure even Ace will see that once he meets you."

Her frown deepened. "Ace?"

"There are five of us livin under Willy's roof."

"Willy? Who's-"

Her question was cut off by another voice, one she hadn't before heard. It was deep, direct and sharp, but luring all at once. "So's this the waitress chick?"

Buffy had a feeling of exposure as she turned to face the man who'd just uttered that last inquiry. He was tall and large, his hair severely cut and his eyes a startling shade of... yellow? Wow.

Blake smiled wider as he looked down at her. "Elizabeth, right?"

The question, and looking at the two men focused on her, both so freaking tall, she suddenly felt very... crowded. "Um... Yes, but..." internally, she made a quick decision and said, "you can call me Bu-"

"Buffy. Yeah, we know." Rex pointed a thumb behind his shoulder. "Spike let it slip."

Her brows rose. Then, the feel of a hand at her back yet again made her shiver. She wasn't a very touchy person with people she didn't know, especially men. And all at once, Buffy's mind centered on one question: Where was Spike?

"Spike. Right," she said mostly to herself, before edging closer to the wall. "Where is he?"

Suddenly, a very loud pounding of steps was heard just before the person in question appeared as if by magic. In a doorway to the left, there he stood, and he didn't look happy.

"What the hell are you morons-"

"Well will you lookie here, Spike." Blake waved a hand at Buffy, his grin brighter than a spotlight. "I just answered the door and on the other side," he locked eyes with her, "was this cute little thing."

"Shut up, Blake," Rex announced, with a hint of boredom in his tone, casting an impatient look at the glowering Brit by his side. "You wanna piss him off anymore than you already have today?"

"Why not?" Blake didn't chuckle, but he looked like he wanted to. "It's fun."

Spike, nostrils flaring and eyes like stone, approached Buffy but kept his stare on the pillock with a smile. He reached for her and she quickly took his hand as he pulled her after him.

"Don't bloody follow," he warned the other two, something in his voice that the girl had never heard before.

Not shocked, but slightly amused, the two superbeings held up their hands and sent friendly grins to Buffy, which she indecisively returned.

Then Spike was murmuring in her ear, "I'm sorry about them. They're like children, give em someone or somethin new and they get all curious 'bout it."

He pulled her through a living room with a fireplace and comfy looking couches. She spotted an area she guessed must be where his guests' were sleeping, because a large mattress in the middle of the floor with rumpled sheets and pillows stuck out like a sore thumb in this room. "I didn't realize I was something to get curious over," she responded belatedly to his last statement, as she was finally tugged out of the living area.

He almost said "Have you looked in the mirror lately," but that would have made her nervous and knowing Buffy, she already was.

The point that Spike gave a damn about her was one thing that had his friends so interested and sniffing around like hounds on the hunt. The fact she was beautiful just added to her pull.

Instead of explaining any of that, he said, "Believe me..." His hand settled on her back, and slowly, slid to the indent of her waist as they turned a corner. "You're PLENTY to get curious over, pet."

She leaned into him. Before she could reply to what he'd said, they entered a different room; and she was assaulted by open novelty.

There was no hot sunshine, only indirect light that splayed itself not three feet from the two opened windows on the right, and no further. Dark curtains were drawn back to let air in. The walls were cream colored where white paneling ended halfway up, and the molding was deep brown. A long wooden table with matching eggshell chairs rested in the middle, and the room looked so clean and fresh that Buffy never would have guessed Spike to have such a... feminine area in his home. There was a china cabinet holding empty jars and some books, and a couple of empty vases that really looked like they needed flowers, but the whole room was just welcoming. Spirited.

She liked it immensely. The only thing that didn't match were the three large strangers talking- or arguing, rather -in hushed tones, and standing over an open book with wrinkled pages.

As one of the men's attention was drawn away from the conversation long enough to let loose an eye roll, he noticed Spike and her standing in the doorway. A pointed throat clearing and a nudge to one of the other men's arms was enough to silence the room. She felt Spike squeeze her waist, and Buffy edged closer.

She let go of a silent breath she hadn't realized was in her chest, and clamped her jaw tight to have a sense of control over.. something.

God, she didn't know why she was so nervous. She shouldn't care what they thought of her at all.

If it weren't for Spike, she wouldn't.

He glanced her way. She sensed his stare on her skin, beneath it; her heart fluttered. Then he faced his friends again.

A pleasant looking brunette, his eyes black but alight with greeting, stepped forward, a hand outstretched. "So you're Buffy I assume?"

She offered her own, and nodded.

"That's right," Spike answered, his face unsettlingly tight and withdrawn as Ace took her hand. He gestured to the group of three, all obviously enraptured. "Buffy, this is Stevo, Dylan, an the one who can't seem to let go f'you is Ace."

With a friendly chuckle, his smile easy, the latter stepped back and released Buffy's appendage. He looked over his shoulder at the two men behind him and said, "It's a pleasure. Isn't it Stevo?" His gaze returned to Buffy.

A tall man with golden brown eyes and obsidian hair nodded respectfully at her. "Nice to meet you."

"Same," she said with a gentle nod of her own.

"I think you've already met Dylan here," Ace pointed to the dark blonde in the back. Buffy had recognized him the instant he'd called attention to her and Spike's presence not a minute ago, and those puppy brown eyes looked welcoming and sweet. She waved a hello. "Hey. Yeah, I remember you from the diner."

He grinned with an openness that was soothing, and approached her, passing Stevo and coming to stand beside Ace. "Same here. It's nice to see you again." He blinked a few times suddenly, long lashes flickering over eyes that glanced Spike's way, as if he wasn't sure he should mention something that was bugging him.

He took a small chance anyway, and offered Buffy an apology, awkwardly scratching his head. "I'm sorry about Blake by the way. The guy I was with at Leonard's? He can come on pretty strong sometimes."

She blinked wide, surprised, but grateful all the same. He'd found... sort of familiar ground with her, something small but significant in this situation. She smiled. "It's fine," a shrug, "He seems like he makes sport of that kinda stuff."

"Oh, believe me, he does."

Ace leaned against the wall, crossing his arms. "Can ya blame him in this case?"

Even before Buffy could blush, the look in Ace's black eyes lost their admiring glint. Spike strode up, grabbed the back of his shirt and dragged him to the door.

"Hey, what are ya doin man?!"

"Out."

"Well, he's starting the caveman talk," Dylan spoke up as he followed the two to the doorway, fidgeting with a pair of glasses in one hand. He looked back at Buffy. "Which means it's time to leave before *I* get dragged out of here next."

"He'd be gentler with you at least!" Ace stumbled into the wall when Spike let go of him, dropping the immortal a good two inches back to the floor. Ace rubbed his neck and glared.

Buffy's eyes widened. "Spike!"

He turned to her, an innocent look on his face that actually confused her. He wasn't the least bit abashed. "What?"

"You're treating your friend like he's a ragdoll!"

He glanced at Ace, who was quickly standing up taller with his own perplexed expression starting to form.

"Relax," Stevo entered in, "Ace deserves some rough treatment from time to time."

The deep timbre drew Buffy's attention, and she suddenly felt like a mother surrounded by misbehaving children. "Well that doesn't mean-"

Abruptly cutting off her own sentence, the girl closed her eyes and counted to three. Releasing a breath, she met Spike's wondering blue eyes and said, "Don't be mean just because I'm here, alright?"

Spike, obviously just as bewildered as the others who weren't female were, blinked and said, "Buffy, m'not bein mean, I just-"

"Well then what do you call throwing him out for no reason?" Her hands went to her hips.

Spike was frowning now, wrinkles in between his brows. "You're not here to talk with him, I was just-"

"Throwing him out for no reason." She set her bag on the table and released an aggravated sigh, as she believed his friends would hold it against her for his actions. She didn't want to be a reason Spike treated them in any bad way. That would just cause major badness.

Plus, her nerves were clawing at her.

A nearby chuckle from Stevo had Spike gritting his teeth. He ignored the expressions he saw on his friend's faces, and looked at Buffy again. One risen eyebrow on that pretty face, both annoyance and expectation directed at him. She was beautiful. And he was lost. "Have you gone barmy on me?"

"No! I have not gone 'barmy' on you! I just think it's not something friends do, ya know, throwing each other into walls and stuff."

"Oh," Stevo interjected, his eyes both amused and proud for some inane reason Buffy couldn't decipher, "you'd be surprised."

She humphed.

And then, Spike was suddenly so surprised that she'd actually let her fire out at him in front of his friends, that he smiled. He smiled wide and was so close to laughing that it caused Buffy to glare even harder at him. Before she could yell, Spike gently touched her arm and her lips clamped shut. He said, "I'm sorry, alright?"

She scowled. "Shouldn't you be telling him that?" She pointed a thumb at Ace, and her eyes widened when she saw that now Rex and Blake had joined the party; they were staring at her with something close to bewilderment, mixed in with joy.

As a matter of fact... All of them were staring at her in that way... "What?" She looked at Spike, suddenly worried all over again. "What'd I say?"

"Nothin, love." Spike shook his head and ignored the mocking "you're whipped" stares he was getting from his friends. He couldn't care right at that moment, because Buffy was too damn cute for her own good and he was ready to give Ace fifty bucks if it would just make her happy.

Hopefully, though, he wouldn't have to do that. With a resigned sigh, and a chuckle, he turned to his friend and said, "I'm sorry."

Spike could not believe he'd just said that.

And apparently, neither could Ace, because he looked at him like he'd grown a second head and replied with, "What?"

Stevo clapped his hands to get everyone's attention, and they all focused on him. He wore an... oddly pleased expression. "Alright, well that's certainly something we don't see... ever. But enough, I need to talk with Buffy and Spike. The rest of you," he waved a finger at the group, "leave, please."

She glanced up at the platinum blonde in the room. "See, was that so hard? He even said PLEASE."

Spike burst out laughing at her mumble, and then so did everyone else. Buffy cracked a little reluctant smile. Dylan wasn't silent in his joy, Stevo chuckled, and the others left with a unanimously felt "I like her!" before the door was finally shut.

The tension which had until this point been invisible, lifted.

Stevo smiled at Buffy, and his tone was warm and friendly when he asked, "So, the charm then?"

The girl internally sighed, having almost forgotten. She offered a small closed lipped smile and went to her bag to retrieve the stone. She dug inside, then walked back over to Spike and handed him the bracelet. He then handed it Stevo.

The gypsy examined it, his eyes knowing and relaxed. Something about the way he looked at it told her he was neither a fake nor a liar, that the bracelet he held really was what Spike had said it was.

Magic.

"Well," the honey eyed man murmured, "there should be nothing wrong with it if it isn't broken. And it's not, but, as I understand you wanted to know more about it?"

Buffy nodded, and braced herself for either lies or truth.
End Notes:
Reviews are desired! Next chapter will be up within two weeks. *hugs and kisses!*
Chapter 19: You Haven't Fallen Down the Rabbit Hole by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Alright, so I'm a bit happier with this chapter than I was with the last. I really hope you all like it! Also, thanks for the reviews and for still reading! *smoochies*
Herbs, nature, and centering yourself. Believing, and the ability to focus and draw from the air what this Earth holds; a power. If you know how to do it, you've got magick.

This is what Stevo, and Spike as well, told her; though the first explained it a bit better.

It all sounded like something out of The Craft or Practical Magic, a couple of witchy movies Buffy had once seen a long time ago. She had compared what Stevo was explaining to those films, and he'd told her (with a chuckle) that it might be easier to understand if thought of in such ways, but it wasn't quite the same. However, he did say those movies had a more realistic view on magick than he had seen in many other Hollywood tales.

That wasn't saying she believed any of it, of course. Though Buffy hadn't anything to help DISprove it...

The girl looked down at the icy glass of pink lemonade in her hands. Stevo's lesson, and Spike's "wear the bracelet" preaching, had ended about twenty minutes ago. She couldn't say she'd left the discussions a believer, all ready to go out and get herself a Book of Shadows, but she was currently flipping through Stevo's gypsy journal thing.

It was both freaky and interesting. After finally conceding to keep the bracelet that glowed, and thanking Stevo for taking the time to discuss everything with her, they'd ended the whole conversation on a positive note, Buffy felt.

Both Spike and him knew she was stubborn- she wasn't sure how Stevo already had it figured out, but he had -and so the encouraging part of the conversation focused more around getting her to keep the bracelet rather than convincing her it was actually spellbound. Which was fine, and Buffy had finally relented; because if the bracelet, hypothetically, WAS magick... then it was what they'd told her: Not dangerous. Natural. Shielding.

And if it wasn't then it didn't matter that she keep it.

But- and Buffy didn't want to admit it -somehow she trusted, believed in the little amber stone.

She had a feeling she wouldn't be getting nightmares for a long while.

"Hey, lamb."

The soft hello drew her focus away from the book, and she let an aged page fall from her fingertips. The paper dropped like a feather upon the others.

Spike walked up behind her. She could've felt him even if he wasn't so close. As it was, his chest brushed her back and his eyes focused on her profile. "You still lookin through that thing, then?"

Buffy nodded. After the talking she'd staunchly asked if she could scan through the journal. It had drawn her focus in the moment Stevo first showed it to her.

Spike had gotten her the drink that she now placed on the nearby table, little beads of condensation raining down the sides. She'd been alone with the book for about ten minutes and she wasn't even making a dent in the information stored. Mostly she was simply looking at drawn pictures and reading through supposed spells. Not many of which she believed worked, but still for some reason seemed interesting to her. She wasn't done with twenty pages even yet.

"You believe any of it?"

The murmur sent chills up and down her neck, through her whole. Buffy swallowed. "Not really." Sighing, she pushed off the table the journal sat atop and turned around, Spike's arms trapping her. "I mean, it all sounds like fairytales to me... even the bracelet."

He pursed his lips as disappointment flashed behind his eyes, which made her frown.

"Thought you were comin 'round to the idea of that," he said.

"I am. It's just... I don't know, it's a cool idea but if I believe in that, then I have to believe in other stuff, too, right?"

His brows drew together. "What other stuff?"

Buffy sighed again, and picked up the book. She showed him an illustration of something with a tail and two heads, beneath a cursive written name she couldn't pronounce. "This stuff. I- I mean who's to say this thing doesn't exist if magical jewelry does?"

Spike's throat constricted, and he had to swallow past a lump in his throat. Looking down at the page she held open, he said, "What if... If it were true, things like this-" he pointed to the picture, tapping it with a fingernail, "Could you live in a world like that?"

She stared straight into his eyes when he dared make that contact again, and while she seemed to study him, Spike resisted the urge to fidget. Waiting for an answer, he knew that if his body needed oxygen, he would've passed out by now. His unbeating heart felt like it was perched at the edge of a cliff and suddenly, the overwhelming need to tell her what he was, everything he knew and the world they both lived in, was suffocating.

Buffy blinked a few times quickly, her green-hazel eyes colored with indecision and something else that looked a little bit like fear or wonder. Spike couldn't tell which.

Then she said, "Does it matter?" with a shrug. Setting the journal back down, Buffy's expression told him nothing he needed to know. Her face was wistful and her body relaxed. She had no idea...

"Buffy, I um-..." She turned to face him, a question in those beautiful eyes, and Spike locked his jaw.

This wasn't fair, to her, to him. And he couldn't take it. She was in a house with six supernatural creatures, and she'd entrusted her secrets to the evilest of that group. It was time he tell her his. Even if it scared her, Spike had to believe she'd come back to him.

He had to.

"Yeah?"

"I have somethin to tell you."

She smiled a little as she stepped closer and looked up at him. "What, you've got magick earrings to give me now?"

"Not exactly, love."

"Well then what is it?"

His lips shook as the words formed over them. He spilled a secret... then another; one, two, three... "Things like that picture DO exist, Buffy." Another weight fell on his chest, she started shaking her head, took a step back... "The bracelet... it's real. I swear to you it's real..." She denied the things he told her, called him crazy... He grabbed the book, flipped through it, showed her one picture, then another, described things that weren't written down. Spilling knowledge he shouldn't have... "There are supernatural things that exist, pet. They're everywhere." He slammed the book when she yelled at him to stop it, his jaw clenching... He grabbed her hand. "There are demons, things that aren't human..." He pressed her palm against his chest, and urged her with his eyes but didn't dare say what he thought she would be able to feel. "I'm not human, Buffy."

She pushed him back. "What in the hell is wrong with you?!"

"I'm tellin you the truth!"

"No! No, you aren't!" She ran a hand through her hair, trying to stop this feeling inside her from exploding. It seemed like shock but she couldn't quite be sure. "What are you trying to do with all of this, Spike? Throwing out random crap about creatures a-and demons- Like I'm gonna believe all that stuff." She met his eyes and took a deep breath. "And saying you're not..." a hopeless laugh escaped, she rolled her eyes, "It's insane!"

Spike ground his teeth together, holding back emotions that were beating against him with their need to be let out. His throat felt tight, his eyes burned and his temper had already been lost. He was two seconds away from exploding. "I'm not lying to you."

She felt an unnerving tingle run up her arms from the tone of his voice, the way he'd grit that sentence out. Buffy lifted her chin, her voice laden with a shrill quality as she spoke. "Okay... Okay, so you're not HUMAN?" She dropped her arms in a helpless gesture at her sides, challenge lacing her words. "What ARE you then?"

Something changed in his posture, something significant left that hard-edged face. His eyes, dazzling and blue, became sharp, determined. His footsteps as he neared resembled nothing close to his natural swagger, but became more of a stalk, and the advance made Buffy uneasy. His resolve and purpose were clear, his goal was not.

Buffy didn't break eye contact. In fact, her nerve and courage rose in the face of danger. "You say all these supernatural things exist- That you're one of them," she scoffed. "Do you turn into a werewolf on full moons? Are you immortal or something? Ooh, or maybe you can fly!" Her tone became more condescending as he came closer. "Wait, wait, no I got it. You're actually a ghost, right? Because if that's true, I gotta be honest, you fooled me! I can touch you and everything. Or are ghosts actually solid and all the movies were false-"

The slam of his palm above her head, against the wall, cut her off. The two fumed, silently staring, one's jaw tight and locked; Buffy's breath was deep, heavy... Spike's wasn't there at all.

He knew he was stopping her from looking anywhere else, as she was doing to him. Spike was caught, deadly focus reined him in, the oppressive desire to clutch her and drag her mouth up to his was demanding, unmerciful. Darkly caged, her face captivated him, even as it infuriated.

Her doubts only made him want to hold her against the wall, against him, and sate every lust and wish. Feel her respond to him in need. Her lips were pink and soft, he knew how they tasted. Her eyes glowed with daring anger, and Spike wanted to feel that anger.

But she needed to know the truth of it all.

She focused on his eyes, cutting and unmerciful. Slowly, he leaned in, and Buffy felt his cool breath on her cheek when he said, "You wanna know what I am... look closely." Then he pulled back again, his whole body under a control she could see, but didn't truthfully understand.

Buffy stiffened. And she didn't know that wretched grief was tearing Spike apart inside as his bones shifted... as yellow eyes replaced blue... and fangs descended.

Her stare widened. Her heart stopped as she looked on at the face of a demon; a REAL demon.

Blinking several times, her eyes watered as they dared her not to believe them. Buffy took in every calloused feature, every harsh line and detail. Her pulse skyrocketed, and she realized that she was alone in a house with strangers... and Spike, who she suddenly felt she didn't know at all.

She was too scared and astounded to scream, but not to run.

Spike let her go, his head falling as Buffy bolted out the door and he heard her rapid footsteps pound the floors of his home.

The sound of the front door slamming was what finally got a tear to drop.

He had to trust... hope, that she would come back.

To believe she would return to a monster.

He didn't hear the glass shatter, couldn't see it as he threw a nearby vase against the wall.

All he was aware of was his heart struggling not to break.

><

The quiet which lay over the living room was suffocating, the recent door slam having called everyone to the first floor who wasn't there already.

Dylan stooped to pick up the kitty cat by his feet, and he pat her on the head as he looked on at the others. The same disappointed, worried expressions all matched. One by one they looked in the direction to where they knew Spike still was, the little dining area with white chairs and one broken vase.

"Knew he would tell her," Blake said, his usual cheery tone not in its place.

"Idiot."

"Shut up, Rex," Ace reproached, "It probly would've gone worse if he'd waited longer anyhow."

Stevo sighed quietly, glancing around the room. "Probably. But not definitely."

"Well you wanna tell him that?" Blake countered.

"No. None of us are going to, either, but I'm simply saying..." He shook his head. "That girl wasn't ready to hear the vampires exist spiel."

"Would she ever have been?" Dylan asked. "I mean, c'mon, it's kinda a lot to swallow."

"If she cares about him she'll get over the shock, and she'll be back," Ace said.

"With LUCK, she'll be back," Rex corrected, "She definitely cares about the moron, but it doesn't mean she'll be able to deal with his undead existence."

"Well, he already bags it. No human feeding..." Dylan set the feline in his hands down on the couch when she started to fuss. "Shouldn't that make Buffy feel more inclined to... accept what he is?"

Silence permeated the air.

"Maybe," Stevo finally said, looking in the direction of where their friend had yet to emerge, to where they all knew Spike endured his own doubts in silence. "Maybe."

><

She'd left her bag.

She'd run out of there so fast, without thinking, without asking questions or screaming her lungs to scrap... she'd forgotten everything but her fear.

One thing she wished she hadn't let get to her head was THAT emotion. Now, Buffy found herself wandering. She'd been doing so for at least an hour.

First, she'd sprinted through the forest and hadn't even known where she was going until she'd ended up in town. It was from then on she'd walked around aimlessly, missing her iPod (which was still in her bag), and trying to think... or not think.

At the moment, she wasn't doing much of either. The trees were almost done changing color, the air was crisp and cool, she was thankful for her sweater, the sky was blue... Her steps faltered every time she thought back to his face...

Maybe it was a trick of light... It could've been. It couldn't be REAL, of course... A joke? Makeup? Some sort of-...

Buffy shook her head. But it was... She knew it was real. She had abso-fucking-lutely no idea how, or what was going on or what the deal was with Spike, but that face was one she could have nightmares about. That was a face that scared and played with evil. It wasn't a nice visage she'd seen, and she was completely terrified and lost.

She felt like one of those people that took interviews on the news. One of those witnesses to a terrible car crash or some bloody crime, and the news reporter is in your face with a camera and a microphone and you're still distraught but trying to answer questions. You don't know what to say and all you can think is that what you saw scared you, and you don't even know how something like it could happen.

Worst of all, beneath her confusion and the gnawing sensation of trepidation, there was shame battling her defenses better than anything. Buffy almost felt she'd be able to block out everything if it weren't for her heart pounding against her chest every moment she remembered running from Spike, of all people.

Or non-people.

What was he? She had a guess but... It was so crazy and... Admitting to that guess, even contemplating it for a moment would mean that she believed what he'd tried to explain to her. That what Spike was talking about- the demons, supernatural creatures and spells, all of it... was true.

Buffy didn't understand what on earth had happened. She'd gone over talking about a bracelet, and this had started. This down spiral of shame and worry...

God how he must be feeling. He might hate her, he might think her a coward... He might not be able to feel at all- No. What the hell was wrong with her? This was Spike, he had to... he felt. He loved, cared, got mad. Buffy had seen it.

She'd also seen that face.

The girl looked up, her eyes refocusing on her surroundings as she suddenly realized that she'd walked herself all through town only to end up down a familiar path. The MayBell library stood tall and warm looking, something bittersweet to Buffy's eyes which suddenly tried to cloud up with tears. She fought the emotions down. The last time she was here she'd wondered if Spike was going to pop in, say hello, kiss her again...

She still wanted him to kiss her again.

Buffy released a hopeless laugh.

She didn't know what or who Spike was anymore. The sheer amount of unfair in this whole situation was incredible. She wanted to weep.

Yet she realized that she wanted to understand, more.

He hadn't told her this sooner for a reason... Whatever THIS was that he'd scared her with, and she intended to do some research. Because something was tugging her in several different directions, and she wanted to run away from it all... the least.

She didn't want to escape this, or try and avoid it. She wanted Spike. She wanted explanations. She wanted details and an apology for terrifying her, and she needed to apologize for wanting one of him. She wanted proof, and to see that face again.

She wanted to know what. he. was.

*C'mon, Buffy, that isn't as hard to figure out as you're letting yourself believe it is.*

With a determined scowl fixed on her face, the girl pushed through the door of the library.

Walking straight to the main desk, nothing but one goal in mind helping her to stay focused and not freak out over all the insanity running through her own head.

She was actually starting to consider this. Starting to consider that maybe he hadn't been lying to her. That the face really was a real one; but it wasn't to be feared... not by her.

A lady with graying hair and glasses on a pearl chain looked up at her. "May I help y-"

"I need books on vampires."

The woman blinked her magnified eyes, a little frown meeting two thin brows. "Vampires?"

"Yes. Vampires, mythical creatures, demons. That sorta thing." Buffy took a breath. "Just point me in the right direction."
End Notes:
I think I found my muse again, let's hope she stays lol

Also, quick thing about the next chapter:
I know I said there would be no child abuse in this fic, but in the next chapter there will be some mentioning of it. It will not be graphic or long, and the scene will not be played out, only told as a memory and not a vivid one.
I have gone back and taken out the part of the author's notes (from chapter 1) that said there wouldn't be child abuse, so future readers will not be surprised. I apologize, and I hope none of you choose to stop reading this story because of my mess up . When I'd first assumed I would not be including child abuse in this fic, i meant it. I DO promise that I won't go back on my word about the other excluded warnings, which are still written in the author's notes of chapter 1.
Alright, thank you guys for reading! Have a nice day (or night) everyone!
Chapter 20: Fight or Flight by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
NOTICE: Child abuse warning for this chapter. I have a whole explanation in the last chapter's end notes in case anyone didn't read those, so you can go back and look before you start this chapter. Don't worry, it's not graphic, it's a memory, and very short.

Okay, I hope you all enjoy!
The vampire made her way through the tunnel, rocks crunching beneath her feet as she walked. Purpose surrounded her, confidence seeped. She had a plan, one she needed to execute now, before her target brought in any more reinforcements to fuck with what she wanted.

Spike's head on a platter.

She'd finally gained all of her strength back, and some extra magick for the road. It was going to be a fun and successful night if everything went her way.

She entered a room with lit torches and a dirt floor, where the puppies were residing, each smelly hire-out vamp a lackey she planned on using tonight. "Boys," Flora called as she strode past, heading for the weapons hanging on one of the cavern's walls. "Follow me. You're gonna help with a kill tonight."

"Can we get something to eat on the way?" One vampire asked, already making his way over to an axe that he liked.

Flora turned a stake around in her hand and stuck it in her pocket, tossing another to the minion on her left as she replied, "After the job's done."

Four more henchmen moved without hesitation, the others looked uncertain; one asked a question. "Who're we going after?"

"Am I paying you to bother asking that?"

Several more vampires stood at her impatient tone, going to pick from the axes and daggers, ready to follow their boss out to do some dirty work. The last lackey sat still, frowning in a worried way at Flora as she tossed a pair of steel knuckles around. "We're going after that Spike guy you've got a grudge against, aren't we?"

A knife suddenly flew, and the room froze. Flora stood glaring. Her hand which had just held the dagger now residing in another vampire's chest, was outstretched.

"You don't. Say. His name," she ground out, and stalked up to the vamp hissing through his teeth in pain. He at least had enough sense to realize that it was no right of his to remove the weapon himself.

Flora did it, glaring coldly when he screamed. "We're killing the bastard tonight, and he's got some reinforcements so I need help, and that is what I'm paying you idiots for."

Teeth clenching and one hand pressed against his wound, he said, "The boss won't like it."

"I'M your boss, too. And she won't give a fuck." Flora spun around. "Now get your asses moving!"

They did. And stiffly, ballsy lackey number one still managed to mutter, "She doesn't want him killed-"

"The only reason she wants him ALIVE is because of that stupid prophecy," Flore interjected, "if it even comes true."

Shoving an axe into the minion's arms, her eyes like ice, she added, "But really, she doesn't care if he dies or not." Her voice changed, grew almost taunting in an instant, when she smiled evilly and said, "If she did, she wouldn't have juiced me up."

The vampire became wary, a hard swallow going down his throat as Flora wiggled suddenly zapping, sparking fingers in front of him. Then her wicked smile changed into a sneer, and she turned away once again.

She headed for the tunnel from which she came, and shouted for the group of fanged fiends to follow her.

They left the cavern in lead of their boss, ready for a kill.

><

It was going on eight PM.

Spike glanced at the clock on the wall, his patience nonexistent even as he told himself not to worry, that Buffy would return to him. That he wouldn't even have to bother chasing her down if she didn't, which he'd planned to do if necessary.

But she would come back.

He'd been telling himself so since she'd run out hours ago. His bullshit tolerance had lowered to a level that was causing the vampire to snap at his friends for no reason; though wisely, none of them dared mention Buffy or the recent visit. Instead, they researched.

Ace was on the phone calling witches and voodoo shops in New Orleans; an expletive was heard right after every hang up. Blake was web surfing in between arguing every ten minutes with Rex, even as Dylan read through ancient texts on his own computer. Theories were getting thrown about. Stevo was still searching through the gypsy journal, offering helpful tips here and there while scanning for info that might serve useful.

Spike was in a demon bar outside of town.

Actually, he was in a completely different town. The drive was forty-five minutes, and he'd just picked up some new bloodbags for himself at the main hospital. It was the one he always stole from, but truthfully, he wasn't all that low on his supply right now.

He had a sour feeling that Buffy would not be returning to him tonight, no matter what; and he'd also needed to get the hell out of the house lest he get into a fight with Rex or someone else.

So naturally, when Stevo had announced that it'd be a good idea to do some muscle work through the demon community and throw about some questioning, Spike had volunteered. It was logical, seeing as he was the one who best knew his way around the area, and out of it.

Of course, he was angry, too; and needed a drink.

This was the second place he'd entered tonight. The main goal was to try and find some info on Flora, or the Gem if that was possible; Spike wasn't necessarily enjoying himself asides from the alcohol.

The first place he'd gone was dead (no pun intended), and he knew it said more about the bar he'd arrived at rather than the time of night.

Demons went out early and stayed out late. They often had nothing better to do, or wanted to get their hands on the things Spike called delicacy drinks. Beverages and concoctions hard to get in this dimension unless special ordered, exotic bloods and such. There was also bagged O-neg and the rare blood types of the human variety for a vamp's lazy night.

And, of course, even demons needed to socialize.

Spike sat in a booth in the back corner of the bar. There were creatures aplenty, and he was nursing a glass of JD and scanning the crowd for someone who might look able to offer up some information. Of course, by offer, that most likely meant beat until they talked.

Spike had no problem asking nicely first. However, he really needed some violence right about now, and usually, it was necessary anyway.

Talking a swallow of his drink, his eyes lingered on a vampire couple that had just entered the bar. He was a masochist that way.

They looked touchy and in love, even if they most likely were just fuck buddies. The girl was happily placed under her boyfriend's arm as he shook hands with someone they both seemed to know. A few minutes went by of simple conversation, until Spike finally started to get irritated.

He was about to turn his gaze onto someone else when one of the drunks at the bar, a vampire Spike had deemed completely stoned from first glance, decided it'd be fun to cause some trouble.

He leaned sideways off of his stool, making cocky eye contact with a friend down the bar as he raised a hand and smacked the female beneath her boyfriend's arm on the ass. Predictably, she whirled around in shock, and so did her other half.

Before any words could be uttered, the drunk was lifted off of his seat, pausing in mid cackle as stupid shock immediately ran across his face. A scream was heard when he got thrown bodily across the room, to land sprawled and groaning on top of a pool table.

The enraged boyfriend went forward with purpose, and proceeded to pummel the idiot.

Spike scoffed, not the least bit surprised. He would've done the same thing. The girl vamp didn't seem to be surprised either; rather, she looked a little bored and very much NOT shocked.

That detail caused an internal frown. Even in the demon world, when a male got into a fight that had to do with a female, the woman either cheered on, left in a huff, or tried to get him to stop brawling. It was very similar to the human bouts of jealousy and shows of high male testosterone levels.

Never did Spike witness a dame seeming bored or unsurprised over her man's violent actions, however.

It was like she was used to it, or that the action was expected after the drunk had touched her. Which, it was, but a girl didn't usually see it that way. She seemed relaxed, arms crossed and rolling her eyes as her boyfriend delivered a last couple of punches before he picked up the pile of meat, and carried his moaning body to the door.

Spike raised a brow, studying the lady looking so calm and patient. When her boyfriend returned, he looked her over, and it was deemed from the private conversation the couple had in a narrow corner, that the chit was fine and so was her beau. The man lifted her hair away from her neck as their words seemed to become less stressed, as they both calmed, and he looked at a bite mark there on her throat. His hand caressed it with exquisite gentleness, as if to reassure himself of something... A near imperceptible shiver ran over the woman's skin.

It was something Spike had never seen before between vampires, a strange closeness. Like a deep... link.

A sudden memory flashed in his mind. Something he'd read... a very long time ago. He shook his head, blinking rapidly over the mental image. It was like a photo in his mind, the page he'd seen, the book and...

*Claiming.*

The memory disappeared. Spike closed and rubbed his eyes, the information still burned like a candle that didn't want to go out. It felt like he'd been tossed something he'd lost years before. Something which had faded or-... No, it had been taken. He'd been hurt, his mind had lost it that day... forgotten it.

Spike took a swig of his drink. The recollection felt like it had vanished, but left a strong intuition behind that-

Bloody hell.

He remembered.

><

Buffy sat in a pile of books, some open, some not; a lot were already read through, a few were barely touched. Her pink chaise worked well for a table, as well as the actual table to her left with the convenient little lamp.

Being on the third floor of the MayBell library should be messing with her emotions, but she was a little too focused on pictures and legends to be thinking about those circumstances.

It was ridiculous, she'd decided, the amount of varied opinions there were on the topic of vampires.

According to all of the different lore she was delving into, there might be several different species of them.

Sometimes sunlight burned the creatures, sometimes it did nothing; but even if it did it wouldn't matter because they were nocturnal. Stakes to the heart killed easily and thoroughly, or sometimes beheading was the only solution to ending their existence. Fire was no more or less fatal to one than it was to a human. Crosses, holy water, and garlic were often referred to as "the classic myths" (as if she wasn't reading up on freaking vampires).

Shapeshifting was either normal, rare, or impossible. They had reflections, or they didn't. Vampires could or could not fly, they were or weren't immortal, they did or didn't need an invitation to enter your home.

Buffy couldn't remember if she'd actually invited Spike inside her house or not now...

She blinked hard and shook her head, quickly refocusing her thoughts.

The only two things ALL of the books seemed to unanimously agree on were: 1) Vampires drank blood. 2) They should be killed.

She flipped another page as she finished reading something about turning to ash when they died. That was another thing that varied, their death. Sometimes they turned to stone, others to dust, sometimes they just became a normal corpse, or burst into flames.

Well, Buffy supposed that last qualified as turning to ash, too.

She was beginning to think she was crazy with this, for considering any of it; but then Spike's face would flash behind her eyes and she'd be determined to learn more all over again.

She couldn't believe the day she'd been having. Magick bracelet, vamp-faced boyfrie- err, boy.

Buffy sighed, scanning another page.

Her head ached. And she was pretty sure gossip would get around town now about her being a vampire nerd or something because she'd gotten literally every book in the library on the subject, and opened them, and begun researching. She could take a quiz on this stuff and ace it, and she sucked at quizzes.

And according to her studies, there was nothing good about the demon a vampire was. All she saw were "Vampires are pure evil" and "Should you ever meet one, pray God will forgive you for all your past sins because you're about to die."

It sure wasn't shining a positive light on Spike. And all that did was manage to make Buffy angry.

She didn't know how long he'd been alive, she didn't know a lot about his past. Hell, if he was immortal or something, he could have been around for centuries. She just didn't know.

But she wanted to. She also wanted to know if he was as bloodthirsty as these books claimed he was. Some of them mentioned vampires having no souls or emotions, but that couldn't be, because she'd seen him feel. She'd seen him take in a little stray kitten, too, so the likelihood of him being a murderous prick with a penchant for torture and blood was pretty slim in Buffy's head.

Spike was close to her, she close to him. Now that a lot of her fear had drained out (although she sure wasn't out of that emotion yet), Buffy was edging closer and closer to wanting to see him again and execute an interrogation.

She wanted answers and details, she wanted to trust him again and know him better. She wanted-

Buffy paused, her breath hitching as she stared at the new page in between her fingers. Her gaze grew huge as she had a staring contest with a pair of piercing, drawn demon eyes. It was black and white, but she knew those eyes were supposed to be amber yellow. The man's brow was crinkled, protruding. Fangs, jagged teeth... Vampire.

She exhaled, looking at the matching picture of a female vamp on the left page. Two thoroughly authentic visages... if Spike truly was what she believed, then this book's author could be proud to pieces of their work.

Buffy speedily flipped more pages, and more. She read and devoured everything she saw. Every line, every word.

><

It had been years before. Before he was turned; hell, before he'd hit puberty.

Spike lit the cigarette dangling from his lips, slipping his Zippo back into his pocket when the smoke wafted up. He inhaled gratefully, memories gliding through his mind so easily now, after they'd been missing forever.

It felt like a dream. He hadn't received the information after it had happened. He'd lost it, and now, almost two centuries later it finally popped back into his head. He didn't know whether he was relieved or bothered by the recollection.

When he was still alive, around age ten, reading in his father's study like he sometimes did, Spike had stumbled upon a book. A supernatural one, about vampires and their bloodlust, their tricks and desires, even perceived personal habits.

He'd been fascinated at the time by what he'd believed to be legends. Spike knew now though that most of the stuff he'd read that day, what the random book in his house had contained, was actually very true. A lot of it factual things, and talk that sounded funny if you didn't know the reality of it.

There had been one specific chapter...

About mating. It was such a short few pages, but it had included details and information he'd not, at the time, focused too much on; now he recalled it all too vividly.

It was such a strange thing for his father to own, because most of the books in Spike's home had been tales for him and his sister, or things on either plants or law. His mum had loved gardening, his father had been a lawyer, and unlike his sis, William had been an avid reader. He read everything he could get his hands on, and usually remembered the information well.

But that day he'd found the vampire book, directly after reading it through, his uncle had come home from a night of drinking.

It was only a couple of months after Spike's dad had died of heart problems, and the family had been in mourning when his brother, Uncle Phillip, had arrived on their doorstep. They'd been forced by propriety to take him in.

The man was heartbroken over his brother's death, which made him drink more than usual (which was already too much), and he was a mean drunk. He'd already hit his nephew a couple of times while sloshed, but it wasn't on the face, so the bruises were easy to cover.

William hadn't told on his uncle, both too scared and not believing he had a right, as Phillip was an adult as well as his dad's grieving brother.

It turned out that he didn't need to mention anything, though maybe he should've.

When Phillip had found him in the study that night, awake past his bedtime as well as daring to enter his dead father's favorite room and go through his things, Phillip had beat him unconscious and nearly half to death.

Spike restrained a shiver, the wind whipping some dried leaves around his ankles as he strode back to his car. The memories were now fresh again after all these years. He'd woken up a day or so later, swollen and hurting, being nursed with a cool towel to his wounds by his mum.

Uncle Phillip had been caught by a servant during the beating, and then promptly kicked out of the house. Spike remembered now how his mum had apologized for ever letting the man come near him.

He also remembered how he hadn't recalled anything after the attack. Spike hadn't known the half of that day until now, including the vampire book, but he'd known what he'd suffered. Hell, the swelling and bruises proved it. He'd finally had his first black eye to sport.

The man sighed, starting up his car as he pulled out of a gas station. He was on the way home, and even though the memories of that day kept running through his head like they were on a treadmill, he didn't understand why they'd come back to him after so long gone.

Something about Buffy, he was sure. Because after that dream a couple nights back, and then seeing the vampire couple at the bar, and telling his darling girl about what he was... Spike wanted it. He wanted her as his mate, so badly he could taste it.

And now, he had the information back. Now, he remembered those few pages of that bloody chapter better than he could remember his own name. Now, he craved it.

Now, when Buffy had run from him.

He clenched his jaw, swerving violently onto the highway that would take him back to MayBell.

He didn't want to think of her leaving, or of the desire he had burned on his mind, the impulse.

It was like raw sandpaper filing down his nerves to nothing. A gnawing hunger. He hadn't even tried to get information on Flora out of anybody after his little epiphany. He'd gone straight to his car, and headed home. He was only five minutes away at present.

The guys would be fighting, he was sure.

He wondered if Buffy had stopped by.

The vamp shook his head, muttering what a moron he was to himself as he turned on the radio. Of course she hadn't, it was too soon. She was too freaked out to come by yet, and after everything, there was still a selfishly frightened doubt that she wouldn't. Spike was ready to go out and hunt her down if he had to, argue with her until they were both screaming and he had her back.

But he still knew... with Buffy, he knew and he believed she would return. He just wasn't sure when, and believing didn't guarantee anything.

He needed to seriously take his mind off of her before he went and drained somebody just to relieve tension.

Spike turned the radio up louder.

It wasn't until a few minutes had passed, and he was pulling up to his house, parking in a small garage a couple of yards away, he felt like something was wrong. Leaving the cooler of blood in the trunk, Spike casually but quietly got out of his Desoto... His senses alert and his mind focused, he quickly locked the car, acting relaxed while feeling the opposite.

He looked around, including up, before heading to his back door. The tension in his stomach and spine grew with each step.

Until finally, they made their move.

Within moments, seven attacked. He spun into a defense position, and swung, shouting for his mates to get their asses the hell out of the house and help. The seconds passed in blurs as Spike narrowly dived stakes and axes. He gladly threw himself into it, and even as he saw the Flora bint pacing in the distance as her minions went at him, he grinned evilly around his fangs. Each hit felt good, each bit of violence a distraction from precious unlife.

He couldn't decide if this brawl was the highpoint of his day or one more notch on the shitty-luck bedpost.

Just when he received a few hard blows and dodged a blade which got a little too close for comfort, his friends arrived like a brigade of warriors. Flora then flew into the fray as well, and it was a full out battle.

Spike realized idly, as Blake tossed him an axe he used to clash with another, that it was probably a good thing he had a fondness for weapons.

><

Buffy slammed the book closed, quickly stacking the others she had strewn about into a neat pile, and leaving them on the chaise. Usually she put things back where they belonged, but tonight one of the employees could do it. She had to get to Spike's.

She'd read that entire three hundred paged book from cover to cover, and it was time to run her interrogation; if she had to break down Spike's front door to do it.

Buffy ran down the library's steps to the first floor, almost plowing into a guy as she rushed outside and strode across the street.

She had one place in mind, but a thousand questions.

*Spike, I'm gonna make your ears bleed.*
End Notes:
Thanks everyone for continuing reading this, and for the reviews you've sent! Please leave more, they help my muse. :)
Chapter 21: Handle Me and I'll Handle You by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone, thanks so much for still reading and for the reviews! I hope you like this chapter!
It was eleven o'clock now, and Buffy was sure she should call her Grams to let her know she was like, alive and everything, but she didn't have her phone.

Spike did. She'd left it at his house, in her bag, and she was heading there now anyway.

The wind had definitely not been blown out of her sails on the way over. She was still ready and determined to 'face the facts' and get him to spill everything... Whatever "everything" turned out to be.

She was ready now. And she was pretty sure no matter who or what Spike was, he'd yell at her for walking alone at night. Buffy wasn't too keen on the prospect herself after spending so much quality time with loads of vampire lore, but she didn't exactly have a choice.

She moved a little faster as she came to the clearing in the wood. Spike's house stood tall and mythic looking; illuminated in moonlight, the white brick shone. She almost halted, the ethereal appearance and her topsy-turvy nerves making her unsteady even in her determination.

But Buffy plowed on. She approached the front door, idly worrying about his friends; maybe they would disapprove of her now. They certainly must know of how she ran from the house.

And there was no doubt in her mind that they knew what Spike was... And she was all but thoroughly convinced that Stevo really WAS a gypsy, too...

She gulped.

A shake of the head and Buffy gathered every ounce of giddy, in-control courage she had before knocking on Spike's front door. Her taps were hard and sure, not soft or hesitant.

Yet no one answered. Buffy frowned, checking to see if Spike might have a peep hole.

He didn't. He wasn't avoiding her was he? The thought made her frown, and internally wince.

The lights were all on. She leaned to the side, over a short metal railing, to try and get a look between the curtains of a nearby window. She couldn't see anything, but light streamed through the opening of heavy black material.

Knocking again, she heaved a sigh. When nobody came, she decided to try the doorknob.

It opened noiselessly.

Buffy eyed the entryway with trepidation, her footsteps quieter than the wind as she, after a minute of hesitation, slipped into the front hall. The air was too chilled, the atmosphere empty.

Rubbing her arms, she debated calling into the distance, but then she remembered the rule about going into a house with a front door ajar or unlocked when it shouldn't be. Instead, she continued quietly through the hall, tiptoeing, before finally turning a corner into the living room.

Buffy's eyes took in the scene in an instant, and she was on her knees and beside the couch in less time than that.

"Spike, Spike!" she screamed at his form, lying there, normally ghost white hair caked with dirt and blood. A scratch marred his cheek. His clothes were ripped, his body wounded, bruises on his arm. Buffy felt her breathing turn short, her hands shook as she picked up his cold one, and squeezed it tightly. She was calling his name but he wasn't answering.

She went into panic mode, wondering what the hell had happened to him as she put her fingers to his wrist.

Her eyes widened when she didn't feel a pulse. She checked his neck, and nothing.

Tears came unbidden to her eyes as her heart screamed out. It was like he was a thousand miles from her, and her mind forgot the latest facts it'd learned. He wasn't human, but his heart wasn't beating and he looked dead.

Buffy pressed her hands to his chest, no feeling beneath. Not even realizing she'd felt that same lack of life on him before, the absence of a heartbeat, she immediately pinched his nose and went to blow into his mouth. Her own breaths were broken.

She was an inch away from meeting his lips when Spike's eyes opened. He grabbed her shoulders.

Holding her away, Buffy saw those open eyes, full of life and light, a kind of blue she couldn't name. Familiar and bright. A stare that told her he was okay. That told her he wasn't gone.

She cleanly broke down, with the most crushing sense of relief she'd ever felt.

Collapsing, crying and hugging into his arms, she couldn't stop repeating, "You're okay! You're okay!"

Spike held her, and a familiar sensation of heat and comfort, of rightness, wrestled with concern. She was back but she was crying, so bloody upset his head was fighting not to spin. He forgot the night's events. All he could focus on was her.

"Buffy, what's wrong?" Spike disentangled her, even with as reluctant as she was to be moved. Scanning for injuries or changes, he demanded, "What's this about?" he nodded at her, indicating the tears. "Are you okay?"

"I- I thought you w-were dead," she sniffled. Her vision was blurry, his face refused to outline in her sights and she couldn't get a hold of herself. "You were lying there, a-and I checked for a pulse but you didn't have one-" A hiccup cut her off.

Spike shushed her then as understanding dawned. Keeping direct eye contact, he waited until her breathing slowed, as did the tears. Frowning and cupping her face in one palm, he said, "I'm okay, love. I'm alright." He swallowed hard, and added, "Stop cryin, yeah?"

She nodded; her eyes finally focused, spotting the blood. "Y-You're hurt." Hastily raising a hand to delicately trace his wounded cheek, she stared in a way that said she wanted to know why. Spike's gaze softened with warmth.

"I've had worse," he replied softly. Taking her hand, and holding it tightly, Spike cherished her presence along with the look of worry in her eyes. "What brought you back here-"

"What happened-"

They both halted mid-statement when they interrupted each other, smiling timidly before their eyes locked. Buffy remembered the past hours, and his vampire face flashed in her mind... As did everything she'd learned.

The sudden memory of why she'd come back tonight felt whipped at her. And she decided to be brave... he deserved that from her.

"Y-You..." Buffy stuttered, the courage which had been plenty present before completely scared out of her now. Still, she looked down, and marched on. "You don't have a heartbeat... do you?"

It was the best she could come up with really, in that moment; her mind was focusing on the latest scare-factor. No heartbeat, no life. It was a direct and all together crazy question in general, but not in this instance.

His hold tightened on her hand before he stiffly replied, "No. I don't."

Buffy nodded, raising her head to meet his scared and guarded eyes with questioning ones of her own. "That's why... When I felt for a pulse just now-" Her words stopped, and then she looked down.

The seconds slowly passed, neither moving. Spike stared at her, saw her bowed head as questions and worries ran through his brain like horses on a track. She'd come back here for a reason, one he couldn't think to believe until he heard more.

But her lips hadn't stopped quirking nervously, as she switched between biting and pursing them. Her hair was a messy bun at the nape of her neck hanging by its last will against gravity. And she looked hyper in a purely bodily sense; nerves virtually danced beneath her skin.

He'd been passed out, and presumably dead; the discovery had shaken her, her reaction had shaken him.

A leftover tear slipped past her lashes.

Spike brushed the droplet aside and she looked up at him again. He steeled himself, then said what they both already knew, but she needed to hear straight out. "I'm not alive, Buffy. I haven't been for a long bloody time."

It was a moment or two before Buffy gave a jerky nod. She secretly berated herself for her earlier reaction, to the visage he'd shown her... It was hard for Spike to talk to her now, his voice was matter-of-fact and hard, and she didn't like it.

If she hadn't run away, maybe he'd be less afraid of her reaction and her views. Instead, she'd abandoned him when he'd tried to entrust her with who he was.

Buffy exhaled steadily. "I know. And I'm sorry." Meeting his surprised eyes, she continued, "I'm sorry I left you alone when you told me-... I'm sorry I ran."

Spike's bafflement at the apology showed clearly on his face. Hope threatened to grow strong inside him, and offered the cliff from which he'd be falling if it got too high. But as his brows slowly met in the middle, she was busy wading in self disappointment.

"You've taken all of my crap, and I just-..." Buffy paused, swallowing down her tight throat before a self depreciating laugh slipped through her lips. "I didn't even give you a chance to-" Shaking her head, she glanced up again.

The look on Spike's face made her gasp.

He was staring at her, in such wonder, such warmth and care, that suddenly all of the fear she'd had before, when he'd shown her his fangs, was childish and pointless. Like an icicle falling with the season thaw, Buffy's heart relaxed, breathed. She knew Spike, and she knew he would never hurt her. She was safest when with him, whatever or whoever he was; he cared about her.

And damn all if she didn't trust him implicitly.

As if the fright of earlier today had never come, her doubts dissipated in the space of one wispy second.

"I'm sorry," she repeated, needing him to understand. Needing to make it clear that she realized she was wrong. Even if maybe, he should have told her everything sooner... Though she might not have come back if he had.

Spike stared at her. Then hesitantly leaned forward. His crystal blue eyes flickered over her cheeks, and oh so softly, he fastened his mouth to hers. The first touch forged their familiar connection like blinding sparks, and they went from still and cautious to no borders, no barriers or fears, in a flash.

He grabbed her tight when she threw her arms around his neck. Spike kissed hard, and Buffy returned it for all she was worth. Desperation rushed in.

Tongues touched, heated and inciting. They were chest to chest before a heartbeat could pound. It was consuming and heady; a feeling of being connected after one threat of abandonment, and one threat of death, had their bodies clinging like raindrops to a window.

Before she knew it, Buffy was lifted off her knees, onto the couch and wrapped around him. Her legs straddled his thighs, he kept her torso firmly against his, and she felt his chest solid and still while she squirmed in his arms.

Her nerves tingled, all along her skin Buffy could feel warmth spreading too fast, too right. Her place on his lap felt so fitted, completely fortifying and steadying while her wits spun away from her in a whirlwind of heat. He was controlled, strong and fiercely grabbing and gripping. Securing her and keeping her in his arms because that's where she belonged, where she needed to be.

She couldn't stop herself from breaking away to breathe, and loving the kisses he hurriedly dotted along her jaw in reaction. He'd already wrestled her ponytail from her hair, and now his fingers ran through the strands worshipfully, possessively. She almost purred.

The coolness of skin gave her chills, her fingertips traced and dug into his shoulders while he kissed her like a man starved, bent on marking her. The lovely sensations he evoked in her, the feelings stampeding, were as stabilizing as they were dizzying. His tongue glided, dancing over her throat, cool and shiver inducing and she remembered it. She remembered the feel of him, the reassuring familiarity of his touch. Nothing had changed, he was still Spike, throwing her off-kilter with just a look and a loving touch.

Then Buffy found herself ground down, into him, hips jerking as Spike's hands grabbed them to direct the first motion. Soon he was fully guiding her, and her breath shattered while their hips rocked together. She grabbed his upper arm for support, fingers digging into a ripped T-shirt sleeve while her other went for the nape of his neck.

Her eyelids flickered open. The glanced sight of red tingeing white rekindled her memory, and Buffy abruptly stopped moving- Well, as best she could with one aroused man grinding against her and holding her hips.

"S-Spike, stop- ah!"

His ears soaked up that lovely gasp she let out when his thumb brushed her nipple, guarded by cloth he wanted to shred. He couldn't think why she wanted to stop, his brain wasn't in control right now, and all he could do was mumble against her throat in a way that vaguely sounded like a question.

Buffy sighed as she felt his hand shape around her breast, to cup and caress; her body arched gently into him. Then his fingers slid to her back, where he pressed her roughly forward. They locked together, each bare inch of muscle and skin touching. She felt every part of him, from his chest to the hardness at the apex of her thighs.

The knowledge that he was hurt, there was blood drying on the back of his head, was information Buffy was desperately trying to hang onto as she softly moaned. The sound only made Spike more ravenous, and soon he had her lips pressed beneath his again.

Evidently, his injury was of little importance.

*To HIM!*

With that internal shout of concern related to Spike's priorities, Buffy steeled herself to pause this... little kiss.

Well, okay it might not be little but she could stop it!

He nibbled her bottom lip, sucked on her tongue... She kissed harder by temptation, an inaudible whimper escaping... Her hips rocked... *Shoot!*

She finally broke free. "Spike, you're hurt-!"

"S'just a scratch," he claimed, his eyes unfocused. She felt his hand reach into her hair again, tilting her forehead to meet his as his fist clenched in the soft locks and there breathing mingled.

Her lungs tried to calm. "Your head- Let me see it-"

"M'fine, Buffy. Sittin up an everythin, now c'mere." He drew her lips back to his, and she didn't notice her acquiescence, but she knew after it happened.

Damn the man, smooching her like he wasn't hurt. He'd been passed out, and something had obviously happened to cause that. She still didn't even know what!

Finally, Buffy had had enough. She needed to figure out what the hell had hurt him, and also, FIX him. Spike may feel okay, he might be... not alive? She still wasn't one hundred percent clear. But he was hurt and that was not okay.

Running her hands over his hard shoulders, his neck, to cradle his jaw and slow down the kiss, she very stealthily moved her tongue and lips against his in a way to calm and yet also incite. She felt his fingers loosen on her hips and hair, she slowed to a stop even as her body protested and Buffy had to mentally grit her teeth. Separating, sharing broken sensual kisses, brought them both to a perfunctory point of content temptation.

She breathed in deep, quickly. Her eyes flickered over Spike's face before she leaned in once more to trace his lips with her tongue.

The move had him claiming her mouth once again for a deep, erotic kiss which she found it hard to stop. But when she did, Buffy took his hands and removed them from her body, ignoring his questioning frown. Swiftly standing, gripping his fingers tight when he went to reach for her, determined hazel eyes met puzzled blue.

Buffy's lips firmed before she stated, "You're hurt. And there is going to be no more..." She left the words unsaid. "Until I get a look at your head, AND you tell me what happened."

Studying her face, that determined unwavering expression of intent, Spike realized that she was ready to tie his thumbs together if she had to. The dame was worried, about him. Her eyes were large and unblinking, her whole expression firm. A small line rested between two delicate brows.

Unbending, she was; wanting to get a look see at his damages and make sure he was alright.

The concept of being fret over had a sudden appeal. As long as it was Buffy doing the fretting.

She resisted scowling at the strange smile Spike gave her, blushing a little at the warm look that accompanied said smile. It couldn't be helped that her lips quirked upward at their ends. She finally released his hands, pretending a chill hadn't run down her arms when the contact was lost.

Buffy rounded the couch to finally get full view of his head, and Spike sat accordingly. "Does it hurt more than-" her voice broke off when she saw the gash amidst his hair.

Spike answered the presumed question, "I've got a few bruises to go with it. I reckon there's a scratch that burns like a bitch on my cheek. Otherwise, my head's the worst off."

Buffy gently laid a hand above the gash, eyeing it with a wrinkled forehead. She hadn't expected it to be so bad; maybe a bump, but this... "Spike, this is deep."

"Yeah," he scoffed. "I bet. S'hard for-" he paused, gathering the right words... "S'not easy for someone like me to pass out."

Buffy didn't seem to hear him, though she did. No reaction occurred, because she was too busy staring at his head, and debating how best to mend it. "I think you'll need stitches."

Spike snorted and bit back a full out laugh. He could feel Buffy's frown before she even asked, "What's so funny?"

"I won't need stitches, pet. I heal... very quickly. The blood's probly stopped oozin by now, yeah?" When she said nothing, and all he felt was her stiff, worried presence behind him, Spike exhaled. "Buffy, it smarts; but I promise it'll be mostly healed up by tomorrow."

Dubiously, and worriedly, she frowned still. Rounding about him, Buffy came to stand right before Spike's resigned face. She could tell he'd somehow accepted that she wouldn't understand what he was saying, this tale about super healing... But she didn't doubt it. She was only scared and presumed that it had something to do with... what he was. Which was still very new information.

How a supposed dead guy could heal was beyond her, but Buffy just sighed and asked, "Where's your first aid kit?"

His eyes crinkled slightly, and he pointed to the doorway. "There're some bandages in the kitchen. Cupboard above the stove."

Buffy turned to go and search, then halted, turning back she said, "You don't have a regular first aid kit, do you?"

Spike shook his head.

She sighed, and mumbled to herself as she walked out something about idiot men all being the same, dead or alive.

Spike swore he'd heard wrong.

When Buffy returned, a wet washcloth in one hand and a wad of gauze in the other, Spike briefly thought about what she'd look like in a nurse's costume.

Unfortunately, he was forced to shake the thought aside when she got closer, because the moment she placed the towel to his head to clean the wound, pain laced through his skull.

She paused when he winced. "I'm sorry, I-I just... don't know how to get around it."

He grit his teeth. "S'alright... but you don't need to bother cleanin it, love."

She scowled. "That's ridiculous. There's dirt caked all around it, Spike. You could get an infect..."

Her voice died away, and Spike rolled his eyes.

He waited...

"You CAN'T get infections, can you?"

There it was. "Not unless there's some sorta poison involved, pet. An there wasn't."

She swallowed, her pride taking a small hit. She felt like a moron all of a sudden. "Fine. What should I do then?" She set the washcloth down on an end table.

He frowned at her tone. "Just a bandage will do. Rest is what'll really help mend it." He refrained from mentioning food.

She nodded rigidly, sighing as she reached for the gauze again. She looked at the roll, then to the wound, her nose wrinkling. "Okay I'll need tape to do this... and-"

He heard her sigh again, this time roughly. "Spike, can I just clean it? It's hard to think that it's taken care of when I see almost as much dirt as I do blood."

Clenching his jaw, and pursing his lips... he relented. He told her where some medical tape was, and when she returned with one extra towel and a small bowl of soapy water, too, the vampire believed he'd prepared himself enough for a little agony. If only to make Buffy feel at ease.

She dipped the smaller towel in the warm water, and as gently as possible, started wiping away the mud.

He grit his teeth, trying to withstand the ache in his head. The closer to the wound she went, the worse it felt. Kissing and grinding was one thing. Her hands had somehow, wisely, never touched the back of his head. Now, she was deliberately trying to fix what didn't need fixing- OR touching.

His head had hurt before, now it bloody throbbed.

He could hear her dipping the cloth in water, and each time the sound got more irritating along with the pain. Finally, by the seventh dip in the water bowl, his jaw was aching just from trying to keep quiet. She dunked the cloth once more, then dabbed the gash directly-

Spike shouted, jerking away.

Buffy winced. "Sorry!"

"Okay, we're done." He took the towel from her and threw it onto the mattress at his feet.

"I said I was sorry, you don't have to be a jerk about it."

He met her eyes, astounded. "A jerk?! It bloody hurts, Buffy! I understand you're just tryna help but-"

"How does me cleaning it hurt, when five minutes ago you were the one trying to convince me that it was 'just a scratch?' "

His face hardened. "Cuz five minutes ago I had you squirmin on my lap, and NOT examinin my soddin head."

Buffy looked away, fighting down a blush and clenching her jaw at the same time. She crossed her arms and then, seeing the tape on the table, deftly tossed it to him. "Fine. Hold this."

She grabbed the gauze again and then quickly, without so much as brushing the wound with her fingertips, managed to fold an appropriately sized square with the material, over the gash. She handed the roll to Spike. "Rip it here," she ordered, pointing to the spot she wanted it cut.

He did so, and then the gauze was taken away from him. He felt her set it, then the tape was torn from his hands and Buffy quickly set the bandage in place. He only felt a few small jolts of pain during the application, but she did it so quickly, that he didn't have a chance to even wince.

"All done."

She was suddenly walking away, all of her medical materials, including the water bowl, in her arms as she headed back to the kitchen.

Spike was left... confused. It wasn't often that things seemed to just happen in the blink of an eye. Unless he was fighting.

He waited for her to return. When she didn't, he rose, mentally kicking himself for snapping at her. He'd just gotten her back after potentially losing everything, he'd finally told her what he was, and he dared to take the chance at pissing her off?

He quickly strode to the kitchen, releasing a breath when he found her turning the faucet on to wash the bowl.

Spike came up behind her.

She'd felt him, seen him in her peripheral, but she hadn't wanted to acknowledge him. Now, directly behind her, placing a hand on the edge of the counter to halfway trap her in, she couldn't ignore him.

"You don't have to do that, kitten."

The words ran down her spine as Buffy shut off the water. "I know. But it's better than talking to you when you're all... grouchy."

She spoke in a tone that was nearly petulant, except she didn't sound stubborn, but almost evasive.

Spike exhaled, then gently took her wrist and turned her around. Facing him, she looked up and raised her brows, her expectancy clear. Spike let his apology show on his face, he leaned in, and brushed a soft kiss against her temple. "M'sorry."

Buffy sighed. The sound was begrudging, but forgiving; she leaned into him. Her hands came up to finger the ripped material of his shirt, and frowning, she asked, "What the hell happened tonight, Spike?"

Oh what a question. He needed to answer her, he knew that, but the answer would turn into a full out discussion. He wasn't looking forward to it... but she had a right to know everything.

He needed her to know everything.

Tucking a stray bit of hair behind her ear, Spike sighed. His stare met hers, the colors of her eyes were lined with concern. "My friends and I- Well, I s'pose I was the main target, but... We were attacked."

Buffy's face turned into a direct, very hard frown. "Attacked?" she repeated, disbelief clear in her tone. "Who the hell-"

"You been around for as long as I have, pidge, and you make a few enemies."

Buffy shook her head, looking truly stunned. "ENEMIES? You have enemies? Why would you have enemies?"

Spike scoffed, leaving her side to sit at a stool by the island. He rested his elbows on the flat surface. "THAT is an issue with a long story attached to it."

Buffy stood still, in silence, before approaching his side. She could see the control he had reigned, the tight stiffness suddenly in his shoulders. She rested a hand over his bunched muscles, and leaned in close to him. Softly in his ear, she said, "Spike... you can tell me."

A tense quiet engulfed the room after her plea. It was a message, in her throat in the air, that she wanted to know and be told what he had to explain. All which he could.

In a short moment, their eyes met again, and Spike pulled her down to sit in a stool opposite him. She almost gasped at the quick arrangement he made of her limbs. Then he wouldn't let go. Her arms were held by his hands, and she inwardly frowned because he looked ready to keep his grip, as if she would leave again.

She wouldn't.
End Notes:
Please leave a review, I love them very much! Thanks for reading :) And Happy Fourth in advance to those of you who celebrate it!
Chapter 22: The Past is Present by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
Hi guys, thanks again for the reviews and for still reading! And, as always, i hope this chapter is enjoyed!
"M'not..." he started, his voice intent, deep, even as it was hesitant. "M'not human... You know that now. And... bleedin hell Buffy there's just so much to explain about that." Spike stood up, scoffing with ridicule at himself. He scratched the back of his neck as he tried to work out a way to explain... everything.





Buffy chewed her lip, eyeing him; his back was turned to her.





Tired. Tired and hurt. He was jumpy, too; his clothing was bloody and his body was marred. She was aware of who, what, he was. And she knew things she hadn't known before because of that book- If it was as accurate as its pictures.





Of course, she knew she didn't know all, but that's what he needed to tell her. Teach her.





Spike looked up when she grasped his hand. Buffy smiled at him, softly, understandingly. She tugged and he came closer. "Here, why don't you clean up and then I can listen to everything you have to say."





He nodded after a moment. Then she pulled him behind her as she headed for-





"Uh, Spike?"





He smirked softly. "Through the livin room. Bedroom's up the stairs, down the hall, second door on yer left."





She nodded, then pulled him all the way up to his bedroom.





Buffy's first reaction to his directions was a nervous tickle along her spine, knowing exactly to where they were headed... just the two of them.





But then her brain kicked in and she remembered that he was hurt, they were going to have a DISCUSSION- and nothing more. Plus, his clothes were undoubtedly in his room, and he needed to change into something not covered with dirt and blood.





When they reached the door, she looked back at him as his hand stretched out from behind her to open it. She preceded him in, and heard a click when the entryway closed. Butterflies would have begun dancing in her stomach- As a matter of fact, they were JUST starting the steps to the mambo when, all of a sudden, a tiny little head of fur poked out from under the bed and mewed.





Her eyes widened, and really, she should have been prepared because she'd seen Spike adopt the kitten, but she hadn't been ready apparently. Because the first thing she did was smile like a loon and go straight for it, grasping the little thing in her hands. "Spike, you didn't tell me you had a kitten."





If he detected any deceptiveness in her tone, he didn't show it. And Buffy didn't need to look at him to know he was embarrassed.





He glanced at her with the feline, his cheeks almost turning pink despite his undead makeup, and Spike had to admit, that as long as she didn't tease him, the sight of her rubbing noses with a now purring kitty cat made him smile. It was a very begrudging smile, of course, because he was a demon... not supposed to have fuzzy feelings like that.





But Buffy wasn't going to bust his balls about anything. All she seemed to care about was the little animal and how cute it was.





She sat on the bed with her, rubbing the feline's belly as Spike went to his chest of drawers and retrieved some fresh clothes. Then he turned to face them, a smile still present.





Cat belly-up, and Buffy scratching her fur while a contented purr could be heard, was a nice sight. Spike glanced down as his grin grew, then he looked up again and tried to diminish it, with no luck. "I'll hop in the shower real quick, just to get this muck off."





"Okay," she replied. Her eyes hadn't left the kitty. "We'll be fine out here."





Spike had no doubt.





He shook his head in amusement, then entered the connecting bathroom and shut the door behind him.


***




Buffy's brain was on two things while she was alone. One, the furry little thing in her lap purring louder than a truck engine; and two, how this forthcoming conversation was going to go.






She wasn't sure if she should start out with questions, or just let Spike start off where he wanted to; but how would he know where to begin if she didn't ask him stuff? Would she be asking the right questions?






How could she? She was thinking in circles.






She shook her head softly. The book had left her with knowledge. Hopefully, accurate knowledge. Now all she needed was to pinpoint her main inquiries.






Which left her with... everything.






Letting out a sigh that started from the tips of her toes, Buffy inwardly silenced herself. She needed to relax. This was no doubt much harder for Spike than it was for her. HE would be explaining himself, HE would be telling his... life story? She wasn't sure. All she knew was that she had to be patient...






And not let him get away with keeping crap from her.






She wanted to understand him. All of everything she could know, she wanted to.






God, that word was getting italicized way too much in her brain. EVERYTHING was a whole lot to take in and tell, how much could she learn in one night? How much could he explain?






She looked up when the sound of the shower stopped. It had been the background music to her over-thinking and inner pep talk for five minutes now.






Well, one thing was for sure, she sucked at pep talks.






Chewing on her bottom lip, Buffy gave herself one rule. The ONLY one she could get herself to adhere to right now that made any sense.






*Stay calm, and no matter what, don't freak out.*






Suddenly, the bathroom door opened, and there stood a blue-eyed, bare-chested... God.






Buffy's eyes rounded. She took in the sight of a shirtless, hair tousled, water running down ripped abs Spike. Her mouth ran dry.






Arms lined with corded muscle, chest and abdomen chiseled like stone, his skin was clean and his hair no longer tinged with dirt or blood. The few battle wounds she saw did nothing to steal from his beauty. A scratch here, a bruise there, he stood tall and mouthwatering. Powerful.






The glimpse that was caught when she had lifted his shirt to inspect some bruised ribs not long ago was nothing like the full effect. She'd barely registered his body then in the middle of her concern, but now... He looked like you could throw a bolder at him, and it would bounce off. Handsome, strong, and leaving her speechless.






While she ogled, Spike gently toweled his face and neck. Apparently he'd removed and reset the bandage on his head, because Buffy noticed it when he turned around to toss the towel back into the bathroom.






Her gaze was then pinned to his back. She hadn't known a back could be beautiful, but his was. Lined with muscle, sinewy yet strong looking, smooth alabaster skin...






He turned around.






Evidently, her jaw had dropped open at some point. "You're catchin flies there, love."






Eyes shooting up to his grinning face, her mouth snapped shut. Buffy fought down the heat in her cheeks with every ounce of control she had over such things, and then looked down at the kitten in her hands as a distraction.






Spike was smirking now, a very pleased expression on his gorgeous face. She could feel it like she felt his stare on her body. "What's her name?" Buffy asked.






The smirk got wider, though she didn't dare look at him to confirm.






"She doesn't have one." He debated forgetting about putting on a shirt, wanting to forget it now. Buffy's blush was just lovely.






She looked at him, and he could see the switch in her eyes when she turned from skittish to resolute. She stared right at him and asked, "You didn't name her?"






Spike shook his head, smiling into her unwavering eyes. "Nope. Blake likes to call her 'Princess,' though. I personally think it's too..."






"Girly," she finished.






"Yeh." He went for that shirt. "You can name her if ya like, sweets. I've just been callin her 'furball' mostly."






Buffy scoffed with amusement, inwardly grateful and yet disappointed too when he threw a T-shirt on over his head. "How original," she said.






The air became quiet then. With only one set of calm, even breaths and one heartbeat to sound. No more words or small talk came to mind or could be said. Buffy's gaze slowly, silently, lifted, to meet shyly with his.






Spike didn't notice when he stepped closer, to sit beside her on the large soft bed, breathing in her scent as he took an unnecessary breath to calm himself. The aroma she emitted had him wanting to inhale deeper, even as the hair on the back of his arms and neck stood up, his nerves tingled.






She brought out the calm and jittery, the stability and the animal inside. Spike broke eye contact as he heard her breathing speed up, her pulse skitter and jump. Best not to think about her being so close... so trusting and near, he decided, because then he wouldn't be able to stop himself from touching her.






Her voice, tentative and quiet, broke the silence. "I went to the library."






He looked at her in question, and she continued. "After I left I-I... went to the library and I grabbed all of the books on vampires I could find."






He didn't have a chance to laugh or balk, which was probably good considering he didn't know which he would've done. Only his gaze changed, widening, before she spoke again. "I learned a lot of what I'm sure is... well, crap. And also some things that I think are... real. But I just... I've got a lot of questions but I don't really know how to ask them and I'm sure some of them will sound really dumb so I think it's best if you just-"






Spike cut her off. Not with words, not with a hush, but by brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. The gesture was halting and tender. Then she finally noticed the way he was staring at her, not so guarded or bewildered as a moment before, but warmer. Just warm.






She sucked in a tiny breath, one that sounded louder to her than it actually as and felt like a deep gasp in her throat. He was sitting so close and looking at her like she was someone to be understood, someone that he already GOT. He stared as if she was the sun and he wanted to go blind. And Buffy was a second away from locking up into stone or shooting into his arms.






Then Spike nodded as he said, "Alright. I'll start, yeah? And you can slip a question in any time you want."






She swallowed down the desire to touch and be touched by that unnamed emotion in his eyes, and caught her breath. "Okay," she murmured






And then it began.






***





The history lesson started, the facts. Like a list of tragedies or fairytales no one would believe. No one would understand and actually judge as true.



Who could look at Spike, and actually trust him when he explained that he was born in the late seventeen hundreds, died in eighteen-twenty, and was therefore, over a century old. Over TWO centuries old if you included his human years, which Buffy did.



"H-How were you turned?"



She didn't make inquiries very much, mostly let him explain things so she could understand it all clearly. He was slow, deep speaking and straight forward. But she did ask a few things, all in all. The first was that last question.



And he told her, of how he'd been... heartbroken, and then changed into a creature of the night.



Someone named Cecily, a woman who had brushed him off when he'd laid himself out for her to either skewer or hold. She'd gone for the knife.



And Spike- or William, the man he explained he'd once been before becoming a vampire -had felt crushed that night. He'd run into the streets a broken man, and in doing so, he'd died at the fangs of a vampire named Drusilla.



Dru, as he first referred to her, had apparently been- in Spike's words -his salvation. At least, he amended, that's what he'd thought her to be at the time.



Buffy quickly brushed aside the nasty emotion that welled up in her stomach as he began talking about this woman, his lover who had been his everything. She who held his making in her blood. Spike began with explaining all that she was, her mental instability and visions, her talking to the stars; and what she had become to him. How she'd taught him things, been his beloved partner and his cherished love to care for.



He spoke of her like she'd once been the moon and the stars. And to him, Spike explained, she had been.



But she wasn't anymore. He clarified that severely, smoothing over a painful thing inside Buffy that had begun growing and kept up its pace with every word uttered about Drusilla.



To possibly change the topic, or maybe just to continue with the explanation of who he was and what, Spike went back to the night of his turning.



Evidently, he'd had a sister and a mother. His father had passed on when he was younger. And the night he'd died, something had become very clear to Spike.



"Most vamps, when they first wake up, go after their families." He told her about how, as he was sure many of her books had already explained, vampires were cruel and generally evil. They were soulless and bloodthirsty, and one of the first things they want after waking up undead, is to cut off all ties from their former life.



But Spike couldn't do that.



"Not only did I not want them dead, but I couldn't even fathom turnin em," he said. Saying why, at Drusilla's urging as well as his 'against nature' feelings, he'd fled his home. There was no need to stay, his mum and Dawn were just fine without him, they had people to look after them and help from many friends, if needed.



And he believed he could no longer be a part of their lives following his death.



After which he'd stayed with his maker, his beloved sire, and about fifty other vamps. It was a nest, a sort of a family, Spike explained. Buffy was a little wigged about that last point.



But then her mind rewound, and she focused onto something she knew Spike was going to get to, but Buffy couldn't help from asking about herself. "Most vampires are soulless? That means, no conscience right?"



Spike shook his head in the negative.



Buffy frowned before he could utter a word, and added, "They're cruel and bloodthirsty, you said it yourself."



Spike look down at his clasped hands, then looked up again to meet her confused sweet eyes filled with trust. He swallowed. "They are. But not MOST of em, love. ALL."



A beat. A moment of pure silence, the air heavy and Buffy's face uncomprehending.



Slowly, her eyes blinked to reveal them newly aware, her fingers clenched into fists and Spike heard her pulse skip over itself several times.



Then, "Oh."



It was from then that the conversation changed. It went from simple- as easy as the basic facts of how he'd become what he was could be told -to something darker. Weightier and not so simple, not so nice.



"I didn't hurt my family, but I hurt a lot of other people. And even now, I don't regret a single kill."



Her voice shook. Her lips trembled over the word: "Kill?"



Spike averted his eyes, not being able to stand the judgment he saw in hers. He'd seen it a thousand times before in other people's, in the stares of hateful enemies and weak victims he'd torn apart. The only difference was, he hadn't cared until now.



She asked him, her voice soft and grainy, "You're a killer?"



Spike's only answer was in his gaze, the truth, and hidden beneath the blue was the preparation for her reaction.



But nothing could have steadied him enough when she jumped off the bed and turned her back on him, staring at the wall; more questions came.



How many did he kill, was he like the books had said, was he a torturer and a bloodthirsty animal who enjoyed seeing people in pain. Did he kill people by sucking their blood as she'd learned, or did he just feed for fun? What was the worst thing he'd ever done, did he steal things off his victims? Did he kill them in front of their families?



He'd cut off her angry rambling of questions, explaining that he'd done just about everything you could deem sick, and cruel, and evil, in only twenty years time.



He'd gotten nicknames. There were books written about him and Drusilla, the things they'd done. He was notorious for torturing, had been called 'Spike' after only three years of being a vampire, because one of his most favored torture methods involved railroad spikes.



Buffy's face had looked angry and closed off at this point. Her mouth was compressed and her eyes fire lit.



He rose, trying to keep the self disgust from his own face. He was still a demon, he didn't give a shit about the people he'd hurt, the only thing which managed to make him feel like dirt was the look on Buffy's face and knowing it was well deserved. "You'd get sick from seein just a glimpse of what I used to do to girls your age."



She visibly flinched. Deprivation was the only thing he could feel, guilt that he wasn't used to scalded him like hot oil inside. She wouldn't look at him, and all he could seem to do was keep her looking away because a butterfly does not deserve to be put in a jar. And Spike didn't even deserve to see her fly, unless it was away from him.



Buffy raised her head when he came closer, her eyes green shards. What she was hearing and what her mind knew of him did not compute.



If he was a cruel monster who liked to kill and torture, bring pain to people and watch with a smile, then why was he the way he was now? If he didn't care about anybody, then why had he cared at all about her? Why did he have friends, why didn't he kill his mother and sister all those years ago?



If he was as evil as he said, then why the fuck-



"Why do you have a cat named Princess?"



The question was beyond random. Spike actually blinked in confusion, his body only a foot away from hers, and frozen. He was almost too thrown to ask, "What?"



Her lips thinned and a scowl pinched her forehead. Buffy stepped closer, her arms crossed and her eyes daring. "I said, 'Why do you have a cat named Princess?'"



Buffy could see the plain puzzlement on his face and decided that was good. It meant he wouldn't talk as much. "You're so soulless and without a conscience, right?"



He nodded, still looking lost.



She smiled, mockingly. "Right. Then why did you take in a stray kitten? I saw you that night, Spike, outside the library. I knew very well you picked up that cat and took it home."



His bafflement was clear, but Buffy decided to fuck up his thought process a little more. Because she wasn't buying the past "William the Bloody" tale. It may be true, but "used to" were the key words in every single thing he told her; and therefore, every sin and murder and gory pursuit.



"And why, if you don't give a damn about people, do you have friends? You seem to be close with them, I thought soulless demons would be a more solitary animal. No?"



His silence was yet again, her answer. Buffy continued. "Hmm. Interesting. And if what I read about soulless demons not being able to love is true, then what about your sire, Drusilla?" Buffy swallowed hard before she went on, the name of the other lady leaving a burning emotion behind she didn't have time to consult. "Did you really love her, or was it all just lust? Because you sound pretty sure that you did love her, and care about her. I thought vampires weren't supposed to be able to do that."



"And then we've got one more thing. Why the FUCK would you treat me the way you have?" Her voice rose, her temper coming out to play with the betrayal she felt. She was horrified, she was guilty of caring about a man who'd been a heartless monster; but that wasn't the whole story either. He wasn't the same. "Why would you let me cry on your shoulder? Why would you argue with me in the rain like some scene out of a cheesy romcom, and save me from bad dreams? Why would you bother listening when I told you everything about my mom and grandfather? Why the hell would you treat me like you care?"



Her tirade left him effectively fish mouthed. She stepped close to him, her chin high and her eyes flaring. "Was it all just crap, Spike? Was it all a cruel game?! Because if it was you sure fooled me!"



His jaw closed, clenching tight. And he knew she could see the emotions inside him as clearly as possible without spelling them out. He let her, and she read his eyes, wondering just how long it had been since he'd last killed a person. Buffy snapped one more time. "When was the last time you killed a human being? Or tortured someone? Fed?"



He was quiet, his useless lungs working hard as his nostrils flared.



They stared in silence, until finally, Buffy backed off with a scoff. It was an airy sound filled with triumph and disbelief, her heart danced in her chest and her mind cleared just a little bit. "You're not quite the same vampire you were before, are you Spike?"



His teeth ground together and he glared down at her. The things she was saying... "You're deluding yourself, pet."



The growl with which he spoke should have scared her.



It didn't. "How long?"



"For a long soddin time, alright?!"



"Why?"



Spike swallowed hard, his eyes left hers for a second. He needed to breathe but he didn't, and his heart wasn't beating but his chest felt tight. He had sworn to tell her everything... "Because I made a promise... to my sister."



The answer wasn't as much of a shock as it might have been to someone else. Buffy knew Spike. He wasn't your typical soulless vamp, as she'd pretty much just proven, and the fact that he'd made some sort of vow not to kill because of family was a very solid explanation.



She urged him to continue, still standing even as he sat back down. Slowly, he spilled it. Each word sounded like it was pulled from him against his will, but slowly, it became easier to tell her about the family he'd lost forever ago.



His mother's name was Anna, and Buffy could tell from the way Spike talked about her that he'd loved her very much. It was a hard guess that he would have been a momma's boy, but evidently, he was.



He was also a big brother at heart. He described Dawn fondly, and it was easy to picture the beautiful brunette with a bright smile.



Spike quickly, like ripping off a band-aid, got to the part about how he had left them for twenty years before finally returning home.



"I used to... I used to get letters, from a bloke I paid to keep an eye on them. He was a young kid, only 'bout sixteen when I found him, and he didn't even know what I looked like. I just gave him suitable locations to leave or send the letters."



These notes and updates kept Spike away, but still watchful over his loved ones. He'd never heard of a problem, and so had stayed gone for years until finally, something went wrong.



At the time, his relationship with Drusilla had been dwindling, he explained. Things had been going rough and Spike still knew that he would have stayed with her and been her lap dog forever if she'd let him; but then his mum got sick.



She'd never been weak, or frail, and the news had shocked him. He hadn't been afraid of much after being turned, but when the report had gotten to him, he'd headed straight back home with fear in his undead heart.



He'd left Drusilla, he'd gladly left that bloody vamp nest, and he'd set out to find his mother and turn her before it was too late.



He'd rather have her forever and cold, than gone and in the ground.



His homecoming didn't go quite like he'd planned, however.



Dawn had ripped him a new one when he'd gotten back. In the middle of the night, she'd made his ears bleed before even letting him in. She hadn't yelled so much as cried and called him names.



Because when Dawn was hurt, evidently, it was heard. Spike explained to Buffy how his little sister had both hit and hugged him all in one "welcome home" hurrah. And she'd demanded an explanation as to why he'd left, where he'd been, and why he was suddenly back after twenty years.



And why he hadn't aged a day.



"Did she freak after you told her what you were?" Buffy asked halfway into his story, worrying about what Dawn's receiving had turned into after she'd learned how he'd changed.



Spike's eyes got distant, and Buffy saw his throat muscles move, a reflective look appearing on his expressive face. "No," he said. "She didn't. She... she hugged me."



Dawn, loving person that she was, had apparently taken her big brother back in with the hope and understanding of someone who just wanted their family back. Her mother was dying, and she'd missed William every second he'd been gone. The un-detailed note he'd left upon his leaving didn't explain very much other than that he had somehow changed, and could no longer stay in their lives.



And when he returned, fangs and all, all Dawn could do was trust him against what intelligence told her, and accept who he had become.



Even with the bloodshed and the torture and the killing. Dawn wasn't happy about it, she was crying the entire time Spike explained what being a vampire was for him, what these past twenty years had become, and how he'd only paused in the violence when hearing about their mother's ailing health.



It was then that Spike told his sister of what he wanted to do.



"She wouldn't let me turn her. And now that I think about it, I'm glad she didn't."



Dawn had put her foot down, exclaiming that she wouldn't curse her mother to such an existence. Away from light, forced to drink blood, fighting a demon's impulses. Even if she were to turn out like her brother had, still able to love despite the evil inside, there was a chance that everything would go wrong, and Anna would become NOTHING but a monster.



And then, she swore Spike to a change. She made him promise her, from then on, no matter what happened, that he would not leave again.



A teary eyed face, pleading and command in her voice. She'd made him swear to change. It was obvious, Dawn had said, that he wasn't the same as other vampires were, that he still had a heart somewhere inside. Maybe not for strangers, but for those he cared about. And she knew he cared about her, and their mother; so she had asked for a promise.



That was when everything reversed itself. He stopped torturing, maiming and killing for the fun of it. He broke off from his demon contacts and holed up back in London, near home, and his malicious days of being "William the Bloody" and "Slayer or Slayers" had come to an end.



Well, mostly. He still had to feed, and Dawn had actually come up with a solution to that dilemma.



Criminals and thieves. Those who did no good to society and only hurt other people. They could be his food source, she'd decided, but advised him to try not to kill them. It still didn't sit right with her, as Dawn was as good as they come, and so Spike had vowed to start playing catch and release.



The few times he did slip up and drained a man completely, became times Spike actually felt disappointed, because he knew Dawn would be hurt. But when he told her about it, especially at the beginning- when he was still adjusting -she'd understood. She told him how she knew it was difficult, and she didn't expect perfect, which is why he was feeding off of the humans who could give a demon or two a run for their money when it came to cruelty.



Spike realized, while telling Buffy his story, that it still managed to surprise him, what Dawn had done about his vampire nature. She'd not denied it, or him, but instead had worked around it. She'd brought back some light into his nocturnal existence, and though talking about her and his mum hurt like a bitch, doing so after all these years actually felt... like a sort of release.



Of course, the fact that it was Buffy listening, and she'd moved back onto the bed, closer to him, made things easier, too.



"So," she said softly, resting a hand over his and succeeding in striking that spark between them to life, "Did you tell your mom about being a vampire?"



Spike's eyes turned sad. He looked at her, and Buffy swallowed hard. Trying to stay strong, gathering herself together, she exhaled steadily. The pain in his voice and eyes had been cutting her down since he'd started talking, and she didn't know how she could feel suddenly so protective of him and no longer worried about who he used to be.



Knowing he'd quit being a horrible, torturing evil vampire because his sister had asked him to... It went along with the things Buffy knew about him- The things which contrasted directly with who he'd apparently once been, the pain he'd once caused people for his own pleasure.



She knew he was telling her the truth on his sins, on his demonic play which had lasted twenty years and landed him in history books. She also knew he was being honest when he told her that he'd never told his mother what he was. She died two days after he got home, and he'd held her hand while Dawn had held the other.



Buffy resisted the urge to hug him close as a lone tear slowly slipped down his cheek. Anna had smiled to see him home, and she'd either been too weak or too relieved to notice that he didn't look twenty years older.



She left the world smiling at her children, each clasping one hand as she drifted off to sleep. Painless and quiet.



The loss was still acute, though. Buffy could see it in his eyes, in the way Spike's lips pressed into a hard line. She reached up to wipe away the teardrop on his face, and he glanced at her too quickly for her to say anything he would hear. He was in another place.



Then he went on. And he told her about how the coming years with Dawn had actually been the best he'd known, even better than the bloodshed and his time with Dru. Forty years of being with his sister- if not in public -and having a part of his true family back, and being loved in return, had been better than any violence.



It wasn't long before his sister was married, she'd had a suitor looking out for her for some time, and it had turned out to be a love match. The man died first, many years later, and Dawn had never born children, but she lived a long and happy life. Spike was a secret to the rest of society, as he couldn't be recognized as her brother anymore with the whole immortality thing, but that never stopped them from being close.



When Dawn got much older, Spike had started to feel her leaving him. Death was getting closer every day, as she was no longer growing, but aging. And he missed her still, like his mum, as he always would.



Spike had known, even as he sat by her side the night of her death, that she wouldn't want to be turned. He'd known it much sooner actually, and if he'd thought she might consider it, he might have offered to do it years before. He didn't want to live without his little sister. It wasn't supposed to be the older sibling watching the younger pass on. The big brother was always supposed to protect.



But the idea of her being a vampire did not sit well. He didn't want to see her grinning with blood around her mouth, and he loved her too much to curse her to that.



So he'd stayed, holding her hand like they'd both done with their mother, until the moon rose and she took her last few breaths.



It wasn't when he'd heard her heartbeat fade away that Spike had crumbled. No. She'd left him a letter, and instructed him to read it, but he hadn't wanted to take his eyes from her. He'd waited until she was gone.



It was a list of things she loved about him, even as a vampire, and the things she knew their mother loved about him, too. She wrote to stay strong after she was gone, and to please also, stay good. To live for her and try and enjoy the immortality. It was a gift, if not with some consequences, but a gift all the same. He was a special man who would one day find what he most wanted, but only if he kept plowing on even in the hardest times. And she would always be with him, in his heart, at his side, and their mother would be right there with her. No matter what.



Spike explained to Buffy that he'd basically broke down after that. For a whole month he'd been on a drinking binge, which was a couple of weeks longer than the one he'd been on after his mum had died.



He'd had no one. Spike moved out of the neighborhood he'd grown up in, but stayed in London, and he'd watched Dawn's funeral from a far, in the shadows hidden from sunlight.



It didn't take Buffy long to grab him, around the neck, and haul him close. She didn't know if he wanted this kind of comfort and she knew he didn't need her tears.



But she had to feel him in her arms. His pain was clawing at her and she couldn't stand it. When he seized her tight, and murmured her name reverently in what sounded like relief, she swallowed down her emotions. He needed her strength right now. He'd done this for her before, now it was her turn.



"How you can stand this, I don't..."



He seemed to be talking to himself, the words a whisper; Buffy heard anyway. She asked, "Stand what?"



"Just bein in the same room with me, now that you know everythin I've... Now that-"



He cut himself off, holding her tighter as if he was afraid he'd brought attention to a fact she'd missed, and now she would leave him. Buffy pulled back just enough to look into his eyes. "Everything you've done is in the past, Spike. And you stopped it because you made a promise to your sister."



He looked at her with piercing eyes, awe and something else like disbelief wading in the blue of his eyes. Then he clenched his jaw in strain. "Buffy, m'not a changed man. M'still a demon, I don't regret what I've done and I could do it all again if it weren't for-"



"Your promise," she strongly broke in. "And you might not have a conscience, but it's what you DO that matters, Spike."



When he was silent, staring at her like she was something that had fallen from the heavens, Buffy felt a blush cover her cheeks. She'd been appalled... she still didn't like the facts of his past. But it didn't matter now. He no longer hurt people, he was no longer a man without a heart.



She didn't think he ever had been. "At least," she added, "it's what matters to me."



Spike stared, in shock in wonder, and she looked at him like a saint forgiving a sinner. She leaned in and hugged him again, and he gripped her back. Holding, cherishing, wanting- All at once.



It took him a minute to realize that she was trying to pull back. When he did he immediately released her and then worried about the questioning look in her eyes. She met his, and asked, "What'd you do with the letter?"



Ah. The letter.



Of course she'd be curious. He knew she wasn't trying to get a glimpse of it, she'd never request something so personal. But he understood why she was asking about it. Her mother and grandfather had died suddenly, in a fire, and not much was left behind after; except for the necklace Buffy wore even now, and a pocket watch of her grandfather's. She kept both and cherished them, and she wanted to know if Spike had felt the same about his letter, or if it was too painful a memory to keep.



The message Dawn had written moved with Spike over the years, wherever he went he had it somewhere safe. And at some point, he'd stuck it in a book, a very old one which he coveted; that way both hiding the letter from his own eyes, and keeping it safe.



He remembered the last time he'd read it, back at the MayBell library, a little over a month ago.
End Notes:
Honestly, I just want to say thank you for every review. I love them, and the nicest thing is that nobody HAS to send them, but some make it to me anyway. I appreciate them very much. Constructive criticism is always welcome, too.

Hugs to all! *smoochies*
Chapter 23: For Better or for Bumpies by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
ATTENTION: Alright so due to the site possibly going offline for a little while(see the home page), future chapters of this story will be posted at http://www.booksie.com/fan_fiction/novel/aliciaparavola/bfmd-(be-fearless-my-dear)/chapter/1 You can click on the newest chapter as it is updated (which will be about every two weeks). I just posted all of the current chapters onto that site, but it's not just Chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. For example, chapters 3-5 are all under "chapter 3" for the way the site is laid out, and I wanted to post as quickly as possible, but not all of them are like that.
FUTURE chapters will ONLY be posted there IF the Spuffy Realm goes offline.
There are no words to explain how much I appreciate the work and upkeep those who run this site put in and continue to do. And fortunately, they're making it so we will all still be able to read the stories already posted on here, writers just wont be able to update. I love TSR and if it does go offline, I hope it's only temporary. I don't know Pari personally, but they're a wonderful person for keeping this site up and I really wish them the best, as well as everyone else who keeps the Realm up to date and working, all of those who are able to donate, and everyone who reads and visits.
Love to all! -Linnae
"Yes, a friend's... I'm sorry I forgot to call, Grams. Next time I won't be so scatterbrained... I know I already said it but-... Well, still... Okay... Yeah, I'll be home late, but home... I shouldn't wake you up when I get in, right? I want you to get your rest... Okay. Night, Grams... I love you, too."

Buffy ended the call with an exhale, but sat staring at the device in her hands for a couple of seconds before she dropped it into the main pocket of her bag. She looked up at the cream white ceiling. "What a night."

*And it's not even over yet.*

A sigh rolled off her shoulders. She sat in the warm, summery room she'd run from only hours before. It looked different now. Still comforting, still welcoming and similar to something you might see in a House & Garden magazine, but different. No window was open, the curtains were all drawn, and the only person in the room was her.

Not long before, Buffy and Spike had decided, somehow, to take a break from all of the revelations and recollections that were brought to light in his bedroom. It was a kind of quiet agreement, brought to their attention when Buffy remembered that she'd left her bag here, and it had her phone in it, and it was a little past midnight.

She'd freaked, knowing she needed to call Grams, and Spike instantly told her to go and phone. Her bag was still in the room he'd shown her not far off the living room, and he would wait in the kitchen for her. They'd each been silently craving a change of scenery, though neither would say it, or even dare to think about why.

Sitting on his bed, even injured, was a test of patience for Spike; Buffy had been able to see it in his eyes. Which didn't help, of course, with her nerves or the tingling in her belly which had made itself very known at some point not too long ago.

Add that to the fact the bedroom had become weighted down with the stories which had shocked her, and the walls felt like they were just a little too dizzying to look at anymore, it was either let their physical urges take over or get a change of venue.

Buffy still honestly wasn't sure which choice she would have preferred.

But here she was, downstairs again and reunited with her bag, which held her most important things. The girl stood, dropping the shoulder strap where it belonged and heading out of the comfortable room, a deep breath not far behind her.

She didn't let it out until reaching the front hallway's doorway to the kitchen. There, she halted, meeting the sight of... domesticity and masculinity combined.

Well, a masculine man, with a tiny kitten next to him drinking out of a dish set on the counter, while he stood making a sandwich.

Buffy just blinked, then shook her head, and idly wondered why seeing Spike doing this was actually a little more surprising than his... fangy status.

She cleared her throat.

Spike didn't flinch, just glanced at her, and gave a tiny smirk that she didn't understand. "I heard ya, love."

"What are you doing?"

"Makin you somethin to eat." He topped off the tomato and turkey with another slice of bread. "Figured you might be hungry."

She continued to stare at him, her eyes questioning. Spike pressed his lips together and glanced back at the plate between him and the kitten. "It's just a sandwich, but..."

Buffy slowly nodded. "Thanks."

He smiled gently at her, then handed the plate over when she moved to sit at the island. Buffy selected a stool and grinned a little peculiarly when he handed her a napkin.

It wasn't strange for him to be sweet like this, or gentle... but he'd made her a sandwich. It was so couple-y that Buffy was afraid to let herself enjoy it. Did he realize that the simple gesture wasn't just weird, but even more than that, incredibly kind?

And, as her stomach decided to attest to the fact right then, she was hungry. But she hadn't realized until food was set out right in front of her.

Spike heard the little grumble from Buffy's body, and smiled endearingly. "I hope this'll be enough. Can't let you starve."

Buffy offered a half smile and demonstrated her approval by taking a large bite out of the treat on the table.

Spike watched her chew and swallow, then said, "Is it okay?" he asked a little hesitantly. "I don't usually have much... normal stuff in the house, but since the guys are stayin with me I had to do a bit of shoppin. One of the few things they hadn't managed to eat yet was bread, turkey, and the condiments."

Buffy smiled around another mouthful, her lips closed but her eyes bright. She swallowed. "It's good. I remember when I made the same thing for you not long ago."

Spike blinked, then titled his head. "Yeh. Ya did, didn't you?"

She nodded, and took another bite. "Mhm."

Spike watched her for a moment, his eyes warm as memories flitted back to him. Her barefoot, with legs crossed on the couch as they fought over sweets like a couple of kids. Her hair down, her eyes laughing, their first kiss. That night had turned into a whirlwind of emotions he had never wanted to deal with. Something he never wanted to get involved in, not with a human girl, not with anybody. But he had, and that night, Spike had known something that he hadn't quite fully accepted until recently.

He wasn't ever moving on from this girl.

Taking a step back, Spike cleared his throat and went to get her a glass of water. He didn't have much else, except for sparkling lemon flavored stuff that Blake and Stevo liked, which he new Buffy would hate. She didn't like sparkling water.

"So. What'd your Grams say?" Spike asked when filling up a glass from the tap. He'd listened in on the conversation from the kitchen. He hadn't been able to make out every word, but he'd gathered that Anne Summers wasn't mad at Buffy or overly worried, so all should be okay. He just wanted to check with his girl on that to make sure.

Buffy swallowed another bite. "She wasn't mad, but she was glad I called. I think if I'd left it another hour or two, she would've started to worry." She shoved the last bit of her meal into her mouth, satisfied and nodding in silent thanks when Spike handed her a glass of ice water to wash it down.

He said, "Good," in response to what he'd already figured due to vampire hearing. Then, a frown crossed his face. "Did you tell her you were spendin the night here?"

Buffy almost spit out her drink. Luckily, the glass was still at her mouth and any water ended up back where it had come from when Spike asked that question. She sputtered ineloquently and shook her head. "W-What?"

He could tell she was more shocked than scared, more caught off guard then put off at the idea that had undoubtedly just crossed her mind. It was good for his ego, but Spike didn't exactly care about that at the moment. "Does she think you're stayin here til the sun rises, or that you're gettin a ride home?"

Buffy blinked, and her breath froze in her throat. *Oh.*

He hadn't meant... Her cheeks reddened. Releasing the massive breath from her lungs, her mind cleared itself clumsily, then she answered, "W-We didn't really... I mean, she didn't ask. I think she knows I was just gonna walk back on my own-"

Spike growled in agitation and turned from her, Buffy stopped mid sentence. She grimaced when she realized what she'd just said. The whole walking alone thing really bothered him.

She couldn't understand why. It was such a safe little town, everyone knew each other here and there were always people out late, on their front porches, walking home from a neighbor's gathering or something. MayBell was perfectly safe at basically all hours. And she'd told Grams that she wasn't far from home.

Before she could explain this to him, even though it probably wouldn't have done much other than validate her habit of walking everywhere, alone or not, he suddenly turned on her.

"Did you walk here tonight? After you left the library?"

Buffy sighed and spoke in a 'duh' tone of voice. "Well, yeah."

He growled again, and she really should not have thought it was sexy. It was animal like, quiet but easily heard, and sounding like it came from somewhere deep in his chest. Not your regular human show of aggravation. "You can't walk alone at night!"

She frowned at him. "Spike, I'm fine. I'm here," she waved in a 'hello' gesture. "Walking around in this little town is like walking through a Thomas Kinkade painting. Nothing bad will happen just because I'm-"

"You don't bloody get it, do you?" He came forward, in a split second he was an inch from her, and his face was seemingly closest. Her eyes widened, and he started to speak. "You know what I am, all I've told you t'night?" At her barely there nod and the harder frown now on her face, he continued. "Humans are one thing, pet, they're danger enough. You think it's safe in this town, like somethin out of a fifties sitcom. An compared to a lot a places it is that, but even with the bastards of humanity loose, things like me are the ones that can hurt you the worst."

"Ya wanna be spotted by somethin hungry and deadly?" He squinted in a way that dared her to interrupt, to say how she could take care of herself. Of course she could, in many aspects she was stronger than he, but she was a human. And he wasn't going to let anything harm her. "In less than five seconds you could be spotted by a demon- a VAMPIRE -and drained on the spot. Least the sunlight protects you for a few hours. Otherwise, you're fresh pickins, sweets."

He'd said the last with enough insult, compliment, and provocative double meaning to make her so frustrated she wanted to walk home waving around bloodbags just to spite him. Buffy scowled, swallowing down a retort. At least she knew why now he was always so adamant about her not being alone at night.

And as much as it bugged her pride, after all she'd learned tonight, she wasn't going to be stupid. Buffy sighed, staring up at him with anger and acceptance. "Fine," she grit out, "You're walking me everywhere, since you're the only person I know in town asides from Grams, and just at night. Got it?"

Spike held back a satisfied smirk. "I got it before you did, pidge."

Buffy ground her teeth together, trying to ignore the way his eyes flitted over her face like he was memorizing it. Like he was studying her under a microscope and he never wanted to stop. She fought the lure she felt when their chests almost brushed; her lips firmed to prevent making a lunge for his. She turned away and breathed.

Buffy sat on her stool again, and swallowed down a sip of water. Then she said, in a voice ever so calm, "And if you ever forget or can't walk me somewhere, since you're so adamant on me not being alone at night, I'll ask that John guy to do it."

The dig was so unexpected, so out of left field that Spike was just as unprepared for the comment as he was for the rush of possessiveness that swept him and basically poked his demon with a giant pointy stick. He couldn't stop it, the emotion, the instinct, and he had Buffy in his arms before either one of them could blink.

She really hadn't meant what she'd said, she'd only brought up the other guy to bother him. She wasn't expecting Spike to haul her up from her seat and set her, facing him, onto the island amidst papers and a computer she'd been very careful to avoid with her food and water.

Wide eyed, an indignant reaction ready to roll off her lips, she was not prepared for his claiming of them. Wasn't ready for the iron band of his arm around her waist and the collision of their bodies. He pulled her in close and she let out a broken gasp which sounded more like a whimper. Their mouths were touching, and she responded immediately.

It was rough, untamed, and sent her head spinning. She kissed him back with equal measure, her hands going to his shoulders and then running down the length of his arms. His scaled up her back to meet at her nape, to grip until his fingers decided to travel into her hair. She felt completely consumed and trapped. Her legs spread open, body pressed hard into his, she could feel every ripple of movement he made as he kept her held against him. A hand was fisted in her hair, Spike's grip was strong. It didn't hurt but she knew it would if she pulled away.

That was the last thing she wanted to do. Not a second ago she'd been frustrated and ready to yell, instead of doing such, she'd slipped in a little nonchalant comment which had obviously managed to bring his blood to a boil.

Hers wasn't exactly cold right now either. And even as she ran her fingers delicately over his skin, trying to calm him, reassure him by bringing her kisses from urgent to slow, hungry to sensual, in absolute contradiction to his, Buffy still felt like she was on fire.

He wouldn't stop kissing her like a man dying, and if he kissed her hard enough she would save his life. Buffy still tried to slow him down, calm him, because she knew exactly what unease her comment had caused. And somehow, she felt the best way to put the issue to rest was to be gentle, submissive. But with every soft slide of tongue he growled and held her tighter, forced her closer. Buffy kept up the pace she'd chosen.

Having enough, he pulled back and latched onto her throat, tugging on her hair to expose her neck to him. She gasped, a moan, and then her eyes closed in bliss as she felt his lips and teeth play over her skin.

She couldn't do anything but sit and heat beneath his touch. The feeling of his mouth, his body pressed intimately to hers, not a single inch of space between them. Buffy ran her hands soothingly over his arms, lightly massaging, and keeping herself reigned in as much as possible. She couldn't help the sounds she was making, but she tried to stay quiet. Spike was no doubt leaving a hickey, marking her, and she wouldn't have it any other way. But he needed to understand. She already hated the idea of touching anyone else, Spike was too deep her heart, he was...

"S-Spike..."

The sound brought his face up from her throat. He saw her, eyes closed and head back with a pulse rapidly beating beneath the place where his mouth had just left. He savored the sight, running his tongue over one elongated fang.

Buffy's eyes opened, and she realized she was staring at a different... No not different. Another part of him. She couldn't contain her gasp, as short and as quiet as it was, but all the same he'd heard it. He'd seen the shock enter her gaze when she lifted her head to meet the face of his demon.

She swallowed, and studied.

Spike didn't hide, didn't turn away from her in a last ditch effort to pretend he wasn't a monster in history and in flesh. He'd pulled up after he'd realized his change, and now he stood displaying game face, fangs and all. He wasn't going to keep his identity hidden any longer. For one, it wasn't fair to her. And two, if she wanted him, then she got all of him.

Buffy realized that. As she took in the ridges of his brow, the half open mouth showcasing jagged teeth, the amber eyes that almost glowed- she realized that this was Spike. This was another side of him she'd have to accept.

She almost reached up to touch him, when he spoke.

His voice was dark, not smooth, but rough, and the words slipped through his lips like a risky dare he didn't think she'd take. "Late at night..." He ducked closer, bringing a quiet, rumbling growl close to her throat. "Just the two of us... S'it frighten you, pet? Would you wanna let someone else walk you home, so you could avoid bein alone with me?

He was pushing her, talking and threatening like he would ever harm her. The real question was, could she still trust him? Would she throw her faith away for fear of him, for fear of getting hurt?

"No, Spike," she answered, "I wouldn't."

The growling stopped, he paused, and then amber eyes met green and the look she saw on his face made her want to pull him in close. He seemed SURPRISED, for one moment of awe crossed, and then he said her name with such reverence and want that Buffy trembled. She followed her instincts, and latched onto him, meeting his mouth with hers.

Spike's eyes widened for a mere second before he recollected himself, realizing she was kissing him. He returned it, his passion locked. Her tongue was thrusting in between razor sharp fangs, gently tasting him like this, with his face that of a demon. She delicately licked and touched, and Spike's fingers were leaving bruises on her arms from where he held himself steady.

She kissed him like she always did, her heat and sensuality his for the taking, but there was a tentativeness to her lips. A probing gentility that spoke of her learning him, learning the way he was like this. It was acceptance.

And when she pulled back for air, she was lightheaded. Their chests were touching again, and Spike spoke in between desperate, heavy breaths. "I want you." He laid a hand on her chest, over the place where her heart beat. "All to myself. No one else, no other tossers kissin you or tryin to." He met her eyes then. "I'm a selfish bugger, Buffy, but I can't be anythin else when it comes to you."

Buffy nodded before her brain could manage to overthink, and in between gulps of air, she managed to hoist her bravery just high enough to ask, "Do you walk any other girls home at night, Spike?"

He frowned. "Wouldn't take the time on anyone else. 'Cept maybe yer Grams, but that'd be focused on makin sure you din't get hurt from losin her. And she's usually smart 'nough to be home by evenin anyhow."

Buffy raised an eyebrow at him, but smiled with the warmth that was spreading through her at what he'd just told her. She put one arm around his neck and very slowly raised a hand to his crinkled forehead. "I'm yours if you're mine, Spike." She slowly traced her fingertips over the ridges, feeling the unevenness, the roughness. "Even with the bumpies, I'm yours."

The vampire smiled, and gladly sealed his fate with a kiss.
End Notes:
Please leave reviews, as always I love them! On the new site you'll be able to leave comments I believe (I'm still learning it). And thanks everyone for still reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

And again, remember, The Spuffy Realm is my MAIN posting site, the link I gave you is simply a backup.
Chapter 24: Show and Tell by Linnae13
Author's Notes:
I know I'm late with this update and I apologize! But the last chapter was early so I spent a little more time on this one. The editing was hard so I'm sorry for any mistakes. Thanks for reading and the reviews! Enjoy chapter 24!

Fifteen minutes passed by, and the couple had yet to move. Buffy still sat atop the kitchen island, and Spike stood watching her study him. His vamp face was present, and something very strange drew Buffy to it. An urge to examine and recognize it in a way that did not inspire fear.

"Can I see?" she asked quietly.

Spike slowly opened his mouth wide to give her a better view of his teeth. They were jagged and sharp, and Buffy knew that it would be easy to prick herself on any one of the fangs if she so much as touched the right place. Instead, she framed his bottom lip with two fingers and then gently probed the front base of a bottom tooth. It was smooth and wider than his human ones, but then again, some of the fangs were smaller, too. But all were made for a predator.

She met his inquisitive eyes, and smiled with embarrassment. Curious and attentive about learning the demon in him, she hoped Spike wouldn't think her weird for being so by touching a tooth. "Sorry," she said, a blush coming up. "You um... You use them to drink-..."

A few seconds passed. Then, Spike supplied, "Blood?"

"Yeah," Buffy nodded. "Blood. With those?"

"They help." He smirked, and then gave a half eye roll. "Well, they did. Mostly jus' for show now."

"They are?"

"S'not very hard to rip open a bloodbag."

"Oh." Buffy glanced down. "You-... That's what you- Your food supply?"

"Has been since they came out," he said. "Tastes better than pig's blood, and they're microwaveable."

Buffy's lips actually curled up at the ends when he said the last, even as her nose wrinkled in distaste. After a moment of silence she asked, "So. Vampires do drink blood. Are you allergic to garlic, too?"

Spike smirked. "I actually love the stuff, adds a bit of flavor ta the bland things. But I've heard some vamps hate it."

Buffy's expression changed from curious to accepting, and she nodded. Her mouth opened on another question. "Do you-"

Spike's face shifting back to human cut her off. "Alright, let's get some things sorted, yeah?" He tilted her chin upward to see straight into her eyes. He started listing off of his fingers. "I can't fly. Holy water burns like a bitch- Don't like crosses or sunlight much either. A stake to the heart would do me in and end my unlife right quick, as would a good beheadin- And it doesn' gotta be with a silver blade to turn me into a pile of ash."

Her eyes were wide and unblinking. Buffy took a short, quick breath... then, "Mirrors?"

"You can see vamps in photograph, but a reflection is somethin we don't have."

"What about shapeshifting?"

He scoffed. "Only tossers wanna turn into a bleedin bat. Easy as cake with the right magicks, too."

"Nocturnal by choice, or by nature?"

"Both. I can be up durin the day but m'not exactly built for it."

She nodded, mentally sifting through the information she'd read earlier at the library. Most of her questions had been answered tonight, surprisingly. She couldn't be anything but grateful for that.

Still, she asked one more thing, to be clear about all she could remember to be clear on; the rest would come with time. "And you're definitely... immortal?"

Spike paused. His answer did not come readily, quick and to the point. His eyes were frozen until a streak of unease shined in them. Buffy's brow furrowed. He swallowed, and she watched as a nerve twitched in his tightening jaw. Then he replied. "Yes."

It was just that one word, and she was left to wonder why the question she'd just asked had caused such alarm. He knew she already knew- Hell, he had told her himself. But now he was shy on the subject? "Spike, is there something..." He locked gazes with her; Buffy's was searching, Spike's was sharp. "Is there something you want to tell me? Something ELSE?"

She didn't have to wait long. He sighed, then a nostril flare, and he said, "I'm gonna live forever, Buffy. S'a lot longer than your estimated lifespan."

A very quick, brimming emotional wave just hit her, like a smack in the face. So unexpected the blow, so unprepared she was for the insecurity and the feeling of inadequacy, Buffy couldn't hide her reaction. She couldn't pretend she hadn't felt the flicker of pain show on her face either, the pinching of her features. Spike saw it, too.

She jumped off the counter, prepared to leave the comfort of his arms to gain distance, but he grabbed her when her feet hit the floor. Buffy met his eyes, a color of imploring blue.

"M'not the leavin sort, you understand?" He held her arm but loosened his grip- against his better judgment -after she turned to face him fully. "I'd sooner put a chair leg through my heart than try an run from this. But you're human, and sooner or later-"

"Sooner or later what?" She snapped. "You think you're the one who has the most to lose here?"

When he said nothing, she scoffed. "Spike, I was afraid of moving here, I was afraid of knowing you. I'm afraid of losing people I care about, and that includes you. The idea of you getting hurt and passing out again doesn't really rank high on my 'Gee, that was fun, let's do it again!' list. I'm in this thing as deep as you are, for as long as-..." She paused, and lowered her voice, stepping along a thin wire of courage, "as long as you want it."

His eyes widened before being narrowed by astonishment. Then he opened his mouth to speak, but Buffy beat him to it. "The idea of living forever... It's a lot to take in, I'll admit. The whole concept is like a novelty to me. But at the same time, it doesn't make me wanna run for the hills." She took a hesitant step closer, and looked up at him, her heart poorly hidden. "I'm not going to run from you, okay?" she said, her voice tightening. "You're either gonna have to kick me out of your UNlife... or something's gonna take me out of it because I'm here, Spike. I'm here and I'm in this- Whatever it is."

He kissed her. It seemed to be all they were doing tonight. His lips locking onto hers and a sweet reaffirming, solidifying emotion running through the both of them. Spike's fangs itched while his mouth tasted and drank deep, while she gave back all that she got, and his head spun. There was a way to have this forever, a possibility he hadn't known was within reach until today. He could keep her. She could be with him, they could be together for eternity.

The concept was like a drugging dream. He wanted to be selfish, he wanted to be hers and her only. He wanted to have her in his bed, at his side like a shadow. He would never not need Buffy. His girl, the one who owned him body and heart. He loved her.

*Oh balls.*

The revelation wasn't as shocking as it might have been a few weeks ago. He'd sensed the feelings growing, and then he'd felt them solid and secure in his chest every time he laid eyes on her. Buffy was literally the life in his nonexisting one, someone more than special. Someone who'd been half broken by fate and then had risen up again, was still rising. Someone who was smart and witty and called to the passion, and the demon, as well as the poet-writing ponce inside of him. Someone who could walk with him, kneel before anyone and still never be an inch shorter. A woman who could fit into his way of life, and possibly enjoy it.

She wasn't going to ever have a house in the burbs with two and a half kids and a minivan. She never would push herself into that mold. Not after losing something she'd so loved would she adhere to the world's norms. It wasn't in her blood.

She was too strong for mere mortals, too everlasting and great to become something she didn't want to be. She'd never chose something for herself that wasn't absolutely what her heart desired.

So he would ask her. He would tell her the ability they had to make a forever of it. He would let her choose, and he wouldn't ask her of it now. He'd never pressure her at all. But he'd tell her.

And that was something.

Their mouths fell apart. Her breaths clashed into his and Spike realized he'd gotten hold of both of her arms again. Their chests were touching and her lips were swollen a rosy pink.

The vampire caught his courage, waiting for the fog in her gorgeous eyes to clear once more before he-

The front door opened, voices invaded, and a wall dropped down. He was cut off.

The moment of opportunity slipped away.

"I'm not sure the PTB didn't send us here just to catch this Flora bitch, she can climb trees like a freaking spider monkey." Blake's groan reached the couple's ears, and Buffy pulled back, looking to where several sets of heavy footsteps approached.

Spike's teeth were grinding.

"She's fast, too. Runs quicker than you do, Ace," Dylan said.

"Or maybe she just has a better sense of direction."

"Can it! You went the wrong way before I did, Blake, I was just following-"

"Like an idiot, I might add."

"Well why didn't you let Rex go after her then? He always has to fly south for the winter, he's like a compass with wings-"

"Fuck off-"

"Will you all stop bickering-"

The five hulking, tired, covered in blood-and-who-knows-what-else men all halted as they entered the kitchen. Weapons dangled from hands and looks of question came over their faces. Everybody blinked, staring at the two blondes by the island.

Stevo glanced behind him, fleetingly meeting his friends' eyes, before turning around again. "You came back," he said, and approached Spike and Buffy, grabbing a stool and sliding it away from the counter to sit down heavily.

The others slowly ambled in, Spike's expression of annoyance went unnoticed, and Buffy's eyes grew wider and rounder. "Y-Yes. I came back." She wanted to point out that he'd sounded surprised, but if they knew the story of what had happened, she couldn't exactly blame any of them for being so. Even Blake had lost his cocky air of amusement, all that was left was uncertainty.

The men slowly spread out, with Rex and Ace leaning against the counter tiredly as Blake grabbed another stool. Dylan went for his chair and said, "We weren't sure you would."

Buffy glanced at Spike, then back to his friends. "I wasn't- Um, exactly planning on... staying away-"

"Don't need to explain yourself, love." The vamp interrupted, squeezing her waist gently where he held her, in reassurance. "You're here." *You're here now and you're mine.*

The unspoken words echoed clearly in both their minds. Spike thought it, Buffy heard it, and the overwhelming feeling of belonging swept over the both of them.

Ace shrugged from where he stood, distracting their focus again. "Hey, we're just glad you decided to come back." He addressed Buffy, then looked at Rex with a grin. "You owe me twenty bucks."

Rolling his eyes, Rex dipped into his back pocket and retrieved a crumpled twenty dollar bill. He handed it over with a grimace and Ace beamed.

Buffy gaped, but didn't have time to even register her shock, or determine whether or not Spike was shocked. He probably wasn't anyhow, he knew these guys, but she didn't- yet -and she'd like to know whether she was being made into a joke or not.

"Hey! Since when was there a bet?! I wasn't told about this," Blake interjected, his expression affronted.

Rex only offered an unconvinced frown to his friend's grievance. "What side would you have chosen?"

"That is beside the point!"

Ace stuck his new bill in his pocket. "Next time we'll let you in."

"Yeah, sure ya will." Blake faced the other two who were sitting down. "Did you guys know about this?"

Stevo shook his head, unsurprised; Dylan nodded and straightened the glasses that sat crooked on the bridge of his nose. "They asked me if I wanted in, but I said no."

"Why the hell would you say no?"

"Maybe because he's not a git like you three halfwits," Spike chimed in. His tone was irritated, his expression worse. Buffy glanced up and saw; worry clambered up her nerves. She didn't want to be a problem between him and his friends, and she knew Spike wasn't getting defensive because they'd hurt HIS precious feelings.

Even if the betting thing was a bit insensitive, she couldn't take it personally, and she didn't want to start off on the wrong foot here- AGAIN. She didn't want Spike angry with them if it involved her.

If anything, his friends should be giving her dirty looks instead of betting on her, and bantering with each other over money, for the way she ran out of here earlier. Buffy wasn't going to be the girl who couldn't take a joke, and she had a suspicion that if she was going to be with Spike, she would need to hold her own with this group.

Which was just fine with her.

*The perks of being a girlfriend.*

She rested a hand over Spike's chest, mentally wriggling into the role she had accepted to play. If this was what being a... girlfriend meant, then she could do it. His friends hadn't decided to shun her or make her feel ashamed. They'd given her another chance, even if not in so many words.

Or not the expected words.

"Spike," she started, "relax. It's not a big deal." Buffy looked at Ace and Rex, giving a little half smile. "If you wanna bet on whether or not I'm here to stay, be sure to let me in on that one. I could use a little extra cash."

They blinked, caught off guard. Buffy heard Blake snicker, and she smiled. Shooting a glance at Spike, she saw him staring at her, his eyes surprised but warm.

She felt comfortable. For an instant, it was like being there before his friends wasn't worrisome, or making her feel anxious, and she wasn't on display. She just felt like she belonged. Simply a little. And it was nice.

Stevo smiled, his eyes holding a pleased glint in them as he looked at Ace and Rex's unsure-of-how-to-respond faces. He met Buffy's gaze, and said in an all too knowing tone of voice, "I don't think they'll be making that bet, honey."

She smiled at the endearment and looked down, not noticing Spike's frown.

"I would," Blake said. At the pointed reprimanding looks from all except Buffy, he quickly amended, "I would take the good side! She's staying-" He flicked her a glance. "You're staying, right?"

She nodded with a closed lip smile. "That's the plan, Blake."

"See? Now, who owes me twenty bucks?"

The guys all groaned. Ace put his forehead in a scabbed up hand and said, "Who wants to make some coffee?"

"I'll do it," Dylan offered. He stood up slowly, gritting his teeth in pain before finally sitting back down with a scowl on his features. "Okay, my ankle definitely got messed up back there."

No one reacted with much concern, Stevo simply patted his shoulder and then stood up. "I'll put a pot on."

Suddenly, everyone seemed to droop.

The faces in the room showed wear, every vibrant eye dimmed. Blake rubbed the back of his neck, Ace slid down to the ground and leaned his head gingerly against the cabinets while closing his eyes, and Rex moaned as he massaged his noticeably bruising shoulder. It was like the exhaustion had set in, and every bit of grime and dirt and blood was highlighted on the men's bodies.

They looked like a band of tired warriors.

Buffy realized she was frowning, and then quickly came to a decision. She looked up at her guy. "Do you have more towels? And maybe some healing salve?"

Spike raised a brow, and sent a fleeting glance to his friends before staring at Buffy again. "Yeah, in the bathroom. An there's some stuff that Stevo brought with him I think." Spike looked at the man in question. "Ya said you packed a bit a that herb shite right?"

He nodded. "It's in the bag I brought."

"Do- Do you mind if we use it?" Buffy asked.

The brunette turned around and raised his brows at her, but replied, "Go ahead."

Buffy stared at Spike again. "Will you go get it, and some more towels, please?" She cast a look around the room, at those surrounding her- At the questioning glances they were exchanging with each other. "I think your friends need some cleaning up."

Silence for a moment. Then, "Alright. I'll be right back."

She knew, as Spike left the room with a backward glance, that he assumed she'd been only showing concern for his friends. He wouldn't expect her to walk over to Dylan's side when the man grunted in pain, and smile when big brown eyes looked up at her in surprise.

Buffy bent to her knees and asked, "What's the worst? The ankle?"

He straightened the glasses on his nose again, and said a little hesitantly, "I bruised a few ribs... It's not a big deal."

Buffy raised an eyebrow. "What is it with you guys and bruised ribs?" she asked, rising to walk over to the sink and retrieve a large bowl from the cabinet above- And thanking God that it was in fact the right cabinet.

She filled it with hot water, and returned to Dylan's side just as Spike returned with five bath towels. She grabbed one from him before he could ask why she was on the floor, and why she was asking Dylan if she could see his glasses.

He handed them over without question, and Buffy examined. They were clearly broken.

"I have another pair," he said at her look of concern. Buffy nodded, and then handed him the towel she'd taken from Spike as she set the specs down on the table. "You've got dirt and blood all over you," she explained, then looked to the rest of the group. "You all do. And if we're bandaging wounds, they've gotta be clean."

Silence greeted the statement, and Spike wasn't... completely shocked, because of all she'd made him do simply over his head, but he was confused. As were the rest of the guys, for they all stared at her like she'd grown a second head.

These blokes were not used to being taken care of, weren't used to any real concern unless their lives were in serious danger. Wounds and scars came with the territory of what they all were, but Buffy was acting like a sister or aunt or mother or something, as if they needed band aids and coddling.

It was kind, honestly, the whole effort was that of a caregiver. And Spike was sure the guys did want to wipe off the muck leftover from the fight, but he wasn't sure that they'd adhere to Buffy's-

"Thanks." Dylan obediently dipped the towel into the large bowl of hot water and started cleaning his neck, then face.

A sure-what-the-hell- expression crossed Blake's features, and he followed by example. "Why not," he said, and stood up slowly, groaning at the muscle pull in his back. Buffy handed him a damp towel and directed him to sit back down. She asked, "You messed up your back didn't you?"

"The monkey bitch body slammed him from a tree," Rex answered, a little smirk on his face as he added, "Then you body slammed the ground."

Blake gave him a dirty look. "And how's that shoulder? Vampire Barbie leave a fang in you?"

Rex's eyes clouded with irritation. "Oh screw you-"

"Did you get bit?" Buffy asked suddenly, facing the man with a dark appearance, very dark brown hair, and a reddish-tan skin tone. He had a formidable look about him, but she wasn't afraid, because her gut was telling her that he was much more of a threat if he didn't like you.

She didn't plan on letting that happen. With all the blinding nerve she already had flowing obstinately though her veins, she wasn't going to leave until she was done with them. Forcing herself to become more comfortable around these guys by doing something extreme like playing nurse... she would take it.

Rex seemed caged while staring at her in clear surprise, as if he hadn't expected Buffy to pay him any mind. It took him a couple of seconds to answer her question. "Um... It's not horrible," he gestured to the shoulder where she could see purple and blue discoloring from beneath a wet T-shirt sleeve. "The bitch just sunk her fangs in deep."

Buffy approached him, and in a way that was not really a demand but somehow managed to sound like she was insisting, she said, "Let me see."

Rex looked around at his buddies, for help, for advice- he didn't know. But then he met Buffy's expectant eyes, and sighed before rolling up his sleeve.

Shock showed on her face. She grabbed a towel from the table by Dylan and dipped it in the water before returning to Rex's side. Not two seconds passed. "There's blood everywhere, how can you say it isn't horrible?" She immediately started cleaning the wound, Rex flinched a couple of times, not from pain but from discomfort. He looked like he was almost afraid of her. "What are you doing?"

"Cleaning it," she said, opening her eyes at him like he was stupid. She noticed him casting desperate glances behind her, presumably asking for help again, but then gradually, she felt him relax. Her grip on his elbow eased as she wiped away the blood and dirt, and Rex didn't protest again.

Of course, it wasn't long before she moved on to Stevo, who when trying to pour himself some coffee, almost dropped the pot. On his good hand he had a deep gash larger than Spike's. And Ace had a lump from some sort of battle weapon he said, on the back of his head.

Buffy helped Rex wrap his arm in gauze after retrieving a damp cloth and the healing salve for Stevo, then she went to Ace. Blake had a couple of slashes on his side, which she helped him tape bandages over. And Dylan's ankle needed icing.

"Spike told me earlier that you guys got attacked. I guess I should've expected this kind of damage after I saw his head." She finished pouring Stevo the cup of coffee which he hadn't been able to get himself, and nodded when he thanked her. "Where did all of you go exactly after you carried him inside?"

They told her a little bit more about Flora, and how she had a desire for revenge- Which was why she'd gotten some help and gone after Spike. Buffy tried not to think about the worry plaguing her mind when they explained that, and focused on Ace's explanatory voice instead of the danger. Yet it was hard to drag her eyes away from the vampire in the room, who had stood silently watching her for a while now.

Apparently, the men had tried to chase Flora down after most of her lackeys were killed, and since Spike was passed out they'd had to leave him on the couch. They knew he would be fine, vampire and all.

Such information was quickly becoming more and more normal - welcomed -to Buffy. None of Spike's friends even seemed to give a second thought to her awareness now that she was back. Which is perhaps why, when she asked, "Do you guys do this a lot?" Buffy received some chuckles.

"You could say that," Ace replied, taking a sip from his coffee mug. He winced, and gently cupped his cheek as he swallowed. "Though I don't think I've ever lost a tooth before."

"Yeah ya did-" Blake snapped his fingers, trying to recollect, "Back in... Crap, when did we take down that weird cult and their triple eyed leader with the tentacles?"

Buffy rose an eyebrow. She closed the freezer door and walked over to the sink, wrapping the ice cubes she'd just gotten into a hand towel and wetting it. She handed it to Ace, who smiled at her in surprised thanks. Spike was looking petulant in the corner, tight lipped and eyes ever focused on his girl.

"It was in... 1915," Dylan supplied.

"Right," Blake agreed. "Ace AND you lost some teeth, if I recall."

"And YOUR wing was skewered," Stevo pointed out, nodding at Rex.

Buffy finally had to speak up. "Wait... WING?" she questioned the room.

"Rex is a thunderbird," Blake said casually, taking a sip of his coffee.

Buffy looked at the man... or bird? "You're..." Rex shrugged. Then, she turned to Stevo. "And so you're really...?" The honey-eyed man smiled. Buffy blinked, and with a helpless frown, turned around, meeting each face.... and wondering. "None of you guys are just plain... human, are you?"

And from there, their background stories came.

Rex was indeed, a thunderbird. Which explained his yellow eyes- "And his pissy mood all the time," Blake added. "It's in his blood to be a-" Ace smacked him in the head, cutting him off.

Stevo got out his gypsy journal to show Buffy a sketch of the winged monster. "He'll change for you if you want," he offered, to which Rex didn't protest. "He likes showing off anyhow."

Buffy shook her head. "That's okay." She traced the picture on the page with a fingertip, eyeing the talons and feathers. "This looks like something I saw in a book about Indian legends."

Rex rolled his eyes. "Yeah, that's me."

"Except he loves to point out the flaws in his history, if you'll let him," Ace said.

"He's touchy about accuracy," Blake added.

*Well now I get that window joke,* Buffy thought, suddenly recalling the comment she'd heard at the diner, when she'd first met Dylan and Blake. She chewed on her lip, and looked at Rex again. "So... your wing. I assume it healed?" What else could she ask?

He nodded to the man standing by her side. "Stev here patched me up with some magick stuff of his. It did the trick, I was flying again within a week."

Buffy looked into the wise face of the gypsy, standing taller than her and looking down with warm expectancy in his eyes. The girl blew out a breath. "So that bracelet's real afterall, huh?"

He smirked, looking like a happy devil as he said, "Not so hard to believe now, is it?"

She shook her head. It definitely wasn't.

"Oh yeah, I heard about that," Blake started, looking at Buffy from where he sat with one hand kneading his sore back. He didn't really pay attention when she went to the sink to wet another towel. "Didn't believe in Romani magick, huh dollface?"

Spike stiffened, Buffy felt it as if she was standing right beside him. She caught his eye and tried to smile softly, reassuringly; she relaxed when he did. She had been feeling the watchfulness, the possessive heat, since she'd started helping clean wounds and bandage them. It was strange that it felt comforting.

She opened the microwave, breaking eye contact to toss a wet towel inside.

"No I didn't- Wait, Romani?" she asked aloud, still aware of Spike's gaze. Every time one of the guys called her an endearment, every time she got close to touch them, when Blake had removed his shirt to reveal the slashes on his side- Spike got tense, his spine went rigid, and Buffy could sense it.

She knew it was jealousy, but obviously the trust he had for his friends kept him from trying to bring an end to her helping and socializing. Buffy was grateful for that. She was learning about his family, and he wasn't going to discourage it.

Stevo answered her question when she faced him. "What you would know as 'gypsy.' That term is actually offensive to many people, however- Or the Romani people to be more accurate."

Buffy frowned. "Oh, I didn't-... How come?"

"Often mostly because it has a negative connotation attached to it. People who don't know the culture automatically think of... crystal balls and tricksters, thieves and untrustworthy people wearing gold hoop earrings." Stevo smiled gently all of a sudden. "Inaccurate and... nasty untruths. The Roma were often wrongfully persecuted in the past."

Buffy's brows met. The microwave beeped and she retrieved the now heated, moist towel with a dry one. She looked at Stevo as she walked towards Blake. "Should... I um-" She told Blake to lean forward, and placed the hot towel on his sore back, letting him readjust it on his own so she could face the man with bronze eyes again. "Should I not call you-... Does the term bother-"

Stevo's smirk cut her off. A combination of pride and wryness entered his eyes. "I don't mind the term like some. I actually fit the stereotype quite well, so much so that it's no longer a stereotype but fact. And my... family, and I, weren't as easily harmed by those who mistrusted us," His eyes glinted something quickly, almost wicked, before he said, "but that had to do with magick. And you may call me whatever it is you like. I don't offend easily." He encompassed the room with a glance. "I can't afford it with this group, honey."

"So... Romani, aren't all with the crystal ball reading Hollywood depiction?" Her brows rose.

He smiled. "I'm sure there've been other exceptions asides from just my little clan, but honestly, most are in the movies."

Buffy's lips made an "O" shape, and she suddenly wanted to check out some books on the subject. Her mind was brought back to the moment though, when Blake spoke up. "Stev's pretty chill, unlike Rex. You start asking him if he can change the weather, and he JUST might rip your head off."

Buffy frowned. "You can't?" she addressed the thunderbird.

His eyes darkened as they landed on Blake. "Okay Cupid, do YOU wanna explain it to her? Since you know so much about my history?"

"Eros, first of all, idiot," Blake's agitated voice caught Buffy off guard, considering she'd never heard him sound anything but blithe; she stared at him as he continued. "Second of all, he was a relative, I'm not HIM."

"Seems like I'm not the only one particular about details, then."

"Whoa, wait a minute..." Buffy cut in. "You're related to... Eros? The Greek God?"

"Of love, to be precise," Dylan added.

"Oh whatever, sex and desire go hand in hand there."

"Blake has empath abilities, he can sense people's emotions," Stevo supplied.

Buffy blinked, her eyes meeting Spike's in shocked question. He nodded, and she met the turquoise gaze of the now re-amused empath in the room. "Don't get so nervous, I usually keep what I know to myself." He leaned back in his chair, smiling.

"Sometimes," Ace corrected, and looked at Buffy. "He's not only stronger than a human, AND can sense people's feelings, but he's a real pain in the ass about it, too."

"I'm also immortal, don't forget that."

Buffy grunted in disbelief. It was hard to understand... "I didn't even think..." She shook her head. "Eros exists?"

"Existed," Blake amended. "He's still... around, but he's no longer... Dylan, what's the word?"

"Corporeal."

"Thank you! Corporeal. He's more of a 'read and believe in me' sorta guy at this stage in his existence. Not too many temples of his standing around anymore."

Buffy's wide eyes blinked, and blinked again. She turned to Stevo... and noticed a welt was starting to show on his jaw. Happily, she distracted herself  by going to Spike's freezer, retrieving a bag of peas, and handing them to the gypsy. "Is he telling the truth?"

Stevo nodded in thanks, holding the icy bag up to his face. "Every word."

Buffy shook her head again, and looked at Blake. "So you can really... sense emotions?" Honestly, that was the thing wigging her out the most. The Greek mythology-reality was shocking, but kind of cool once the idea settled. She wasn't sure how she felt about someone else being able to read her... feelings, though.

Not good was the probable answer.

"Yep," Blake replied, his expression almost smug. "As for example, Spike over there gets all tense and primitive every time I call you 'dollface.'" He gestured to the vampire with a wave of his hand, smiling when a noticeable stiffening occurred in his shoulders.

Buffy caught Spike's gaze, blushing when he just rose an eyebrow at her. She fought off a smile, and knew what he was probably thinking. *You haven't seen primitive.*

Swallowing, she exhaled shortly, and was able to grin in amusement when Ace said, "See what I mean? Pain in the ass."

"Yeah," Blake replied, "that's another thing we have in common, isn't it buddy?"

"Another thing?"

"He's talking about our Greek history."

"That pun was so intended," Blake said.

Buffy laughed a little, and then looked to Ace as he continued. "I'm part demon, my mother was human, and I'm also immortal."

"He's part Aerico," Rex explained. "A disease demon."

Ace rolled his eyes. "I can cause sickness, yadda yadda yadda, but I don't. The Aerico demon is of Greek origin."

"Oh." Buffy's eyes, yet again, took the shapes of two large saucers. "Are you... Do you have superior strength, too?" Her curious side prodded her to ask.

The man grinned. "That I do, dear. That I do."

She nodded. "Cool." A plain statement, something to describe her very near speechlessness. She was distracted though when she noticed Dylan gently touching his side, and wincing a second later.

She went over to him. "Do you want ice on those?" she asked, referring to the ribs they both knew were swollen and bruised. She smiled when he nodded. Quickly getting ice and putting it in a towel, Buffy returned to his side. A sense of relief she hadn't known she'd needed went through her when she heard the guys conversing behind her. At first, each time she helped one of them, the room fell silent as if what she was doing was wondrous and for show. Now, it seemed, they had finally grown used to it.

Dylan lifted his shirt and took the ice from her. "Thank you."

"No problem." She watched as he pressed the towel gently onto the injury. "First Spike falls down the stairs and bruises his ribs, and then you do it in a fight. You guys just love getting all beat up, don't you?"

Stevo frowned, turning to face the vampire in the room. "When did you fall down the stairs?"

Spike waved him off, eyes refocusing on Buffy. She went to pour another cup of coffee for Ace, already having realized what a caffeine junky he was, and seeing that his mug was now empty. Spike figured it was the waitress coming out.

But she did it with a genuine smile. It seemed Buffy liked being helpful in this arena, something like a mother hen. It was both unsettling and strangely pleasing. He couldn't decide how he felt about it. However, he did know exactly how he felt about her popularity with his friends.

It was so obvious they enjoyed her, and not just because she'd helped to mend their wounds tonight. Rex was actually courteous, and he talked in more than just one-syllable words. Stevo looked at her with warmth and approval. Blake flirted a bit too much for Spike's liking (which didn't have to be much at all) but was also respectful. Ace joked happily and was displaying too many friendly smiles to count. Dylan was clearly comfortable around her, and his eyes crinkled at the edges every time she came near. It was like a drug, they were all a little doped up on Buffy.

They loved explaining their pasts to her, loved telling her about themselves and each other.

Her attention was focused on them, too. She was all ears to take in what they told her, and Buffy's attentiveness to not only their injuries, but also their stories, gained her approval and affection. Spike was happy that it seemed he wouldn't have to worry about her fitting in with the group, or worry about whether or not they'd welcome her at all.

He was happy that they seemed to genuinely like her.

But another part of him wanted to steal her away every time she landed bright, curious eyes onto any one of them.

It wasn't really jealousy...

Well, okay it was, but he trusted his friends- Even Blake wouldn't seriously try to get anywhere with her now. It was just... They were fawning over her, and their eyes were glued as she took in their words and listened to all they said, gave her own. Buffy's thoughts were out and open, she was indulging in the information of his friends' lives, and soaking up a feeling of getting to know them. Spike was watching.

He wanted her all to himself, though, and he realized how childish the desire was, but he honestly couldn't really care about maturity when his girl was busy stealing the focus of several other men. Even Stevo indulged in her questions and growing comfort around them. The more time they all spent in the kitchen together and the more she learned, the more she opened up.

Spike loved seeing her enjoying herself, and every time she did offer one of those bright smiles, he felt a little lightheaded. But, like he'd said, he wanted her all to himself.

But he wouldn't ruin this for her. She was happy.

And brave enough to ask them to spill the history of how everyone in the group had met.

It was a seriously nosy question. Or one could just call it curiosity on steroids. Either way, Buffy quickly got her wish, and discovered that it was Drusilla's getting of a soul which had really started everything.

"You would think that gaining one would have only caused her worse mental instability, but it didn't. The guilt somehow managed to stabilize her, and some of the damage she'd suffered, healed- Over a period of years, of course." Stevo explained to her, and also told Buffy the relation of Drusilla to him. She'd been a cousin to people in his clan, and once a spell was put together, and the timing was fit, they'd cursed her with a soul.

"Bringing her back to us led me to Spike," he said. "Dru still received visions, and one made her want to see him again."

Stevo had gone on a search for the vampire in question, and found him saving a little girl from a demon in an alleyway one night. This information had Spike averting eye contact from Buffy when it came up, and she knew it wasn't because Stevo was telling an untruth. Spike was both embarrassed and did not feel he deserved the praise. So he ignored it.

She didn't.

She also didn't ignore the following stories, or how Dru's visions came few and far between now, but managed to bring the group together to save the world repeatedly.

"Dylan," Ace said, pointing at him, "was the last to arrive in 1910."

Buffy looked at the man still holding ice against his ribs. "Are you immortal, too?"

"Uh, well... not exactly." He scratched his head, shifting in his seat. "I'm half Brachen demon. They live quite a long time."

"You may as well be immortal," Rex said.

Dylan shrugged, looking up at Buffy. The girl bit her bottom lip, thinking... "Spike's all fangy... Ace can make people sick... Stevo is all with the magicks, Blake is an empath, and Rex can fly. What's your special something, Dylan?" she asked curiously, kindly.

He blinked his large puppy eyes at her, and then made a funny face. "Superior strength to humans, but that's most effective when I'm in demon form. And then heightened senses, speed, a few other things."

"Like you're basically a human encyclopedia," Ace declared, "Especially about supernatural stuff."

One side of Dylan's mouth lifted. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it."

Buffy tilted her head, curiosity yet again poking at her. The urges to ask and receive answers had been growing all night, every minute and hour she became braver. And now she wanted to know something else, see something. "Dylan... Could you-..." She nervously chewed her lip again. He stared at her expectantly, and Buffy sighed quickly before blurting out: "Could I see your demon form?"

The stunned expression that arose at her request would have been funny if she weren't so nervous about seeming nosy. She was interested in seeing another demon form other than Spike with his fangs. She wanted to get used to this world he lived in and know that others were unique in his way, as well as in completely different ways.

Dylan still hadn't answered her question. When he finally started to stutter out a reply, his cheeks turning red, Blake cut in with: "C'mon man, show her. It'll be neat watching her shriek."

Dylan's blush got darker, and before Buffy could object to Blake's comment, Spike was stepping up beside her. She looked into his eyes, and frowned at the strange unease she saw there. He hooked a finger through one of her belt loops, touching but not touching her, and tugged her close. "Are you sure you want to do this, love?" he asked, worry in his voice. "It's not as big a deal as you think. S'nothin real special, anyhow."

Buffy's frown deepened. He seemed very anxious, and she wasn't sure why-

Oh. Her face relaxed, the line between her brows smoothed out, and she got it. Spike was worried about her getting scared again.

Well, she'd show him.

As long as Dylan didn't mind, of course.

She turned to him. "Would you mind, Dylan?" She looked pointedly at Blake. "I promise I won't scream."

The half demon, with his glasses broken and once again in his hand, started to rapidly tap his foot. He hesitated for a minute or two. Then the guys, all at once- excluding Spike and Stevo -urged him to reveal his other face.

Finally, Dylan sighed, and with a quick hop to his feet and a wince at the pain it caused, he changed.

Instantly, the sweet brown eyes of the dirty blonde before her, shifted, changed to red. His skin turned green like a plant leaf and blue spikes decorated the visible areas of his body. The transformation was so unexpected- even though she'd ASKED for it -that Buffy took a step back. And of course, her eyes were huge.

He just stood there, until Ace threw in a barb. "Looks like a pin cushion doesn't he?"

Spike was still standing next to her, protective for a reason she wasn't sure whether or not was attributed to his worry over her possibly freaking out like before, or a new mistrust he'd developed for Dylan.

Which was insanity. Maybe he thought she'd faint.

That notion brought Buffy back to herself. Stuttering- c'mon, give her a break -she spoke, "Wow. Y-You're..." She stepped closer with her eyes glued to him. "Spike and Rex aren't the only ones with weird eyes."

Ace, Stevo, and Blake were laughing loudly in response to her innocent, seemingly truthful observation. Buffy looked down when their cackles invaded her curious staring, realizing what she'd blurted out. In a way it had been true, but she also knew that her temporary loss of focus had made her brave enough to say it for Dylan's sake.

The half-Brachen demon smiled, his pointy spikes didn't look so threatening right then. "You didn't scream... That's not what I'm used to."

Buffy frowned, her eyes still not leaving his face. "What do you mean?"

"Dylan has a little trouble every time a lady gets a look at what he is," Ace answered.

"Two girls I dated were... a little scared after they saw my demon side," he casually explained.

"The problem? One of those girls was a plain human, like yourself. The other was a needle phobe."

Buffy turned to Blake briefly when he'd finished, then back to Dylan. "You don't look that scary." It was the truth. Spike was much more frightening at first.

Dylan shrugged. "It's not a big deal. I've had other girlfriends." He looked over her head to his friends. "These guys just like messin with me." He stared at Spike then, with an expression that seemed to say: *See? You're in the clear.*

Buffy smiled with her lips compressed. She could see now why Dylan had been antsy to show himself. Not so much because he was insecure about who he was, but because he hadn't wanted her to get frightened; she was Spike's girl. She was important to a friend. And she'd most likely be around often now.

She looked between the vampire and the... *Broke Demon?* No, that can't be right. What had he said again?

"Um..." Buffy bit her lip, staring at Dylan as she thought hard. "What did you say you were?"

"Brachen demon."

"You can just call him the cactus if you like," Ace joked.

"I'll tell ya one thing," Rex broke in, "he may look like a cactus, but he fights like the devil when he's in this form."

Buffy was going to ask what that meant, when suddenly, she remembered Dylan's ankle. Her eyebrows shot up. "Your ankle! It's- It's..." Dylan didn't move, didn't abruptly fall into his chair groaning in pain as if he'd been enduring standing so long on an injury and had finally reached his limit. No, he stood there and offered a dimply smile.

"My ankle doesn't hurt as bad right now. I'm stronger when I'm like this. And I heal a little faster, too. Not much, but a little."

Buffy blinked and shook her head, throwing her hands up in the air- nearly hitting Spike's nose -to accompany a loud scoff. "I'm shocked!" she shouted, the sarcasm almost tangible.

This made Dylan, and the others behind her, all smirk a bit. The red-eyed man sat down, and changed back to human form.

Blake then protested, "No, stay that way! We never get to see you while you look like a porcupine."

"Except when we're fighting," Dylan said dryly.

"Which is basically every time we're together," Stevo added.

Blake rolled his aqua colored eyes and replied, "Fine. Be a bore. You both know it's always too hectic to appreciate our friend's spikes during a brawl."

The wheels in Buffy's mind started turning, and as the voices behind her joked and bantered, and she heard Spike join in with a comment or two, she realized she hadn't learned something about this Flora person.

"Spike?"

He met her eyes immediately, and the room slowly rolled into easy silence. "Why exactly does this Flora woman... vampire," she corrected herself, "want revenge on you?"

Until she said that.

The air stood still, but the tension seemed confined to a little bubble just around her and Spike. Buffy heard Ace pour himself another cup of coffee and offer one to the others. Blake declined said offer and Rex opened the refrigerator to search for food. They were all unaffected by the strain between the couple's eyes.

Spike gave her a look which she read easily enough: *I'll explain more later.*

She wasn't sure how she felt about that answer. She accepted it, only because obviously explaining the situation wasn't as simple as 'she wants to kill the Slayer of Slayers' or 'she lost a poker game to me,' which Spike had said were accurate reasons in the past for other demons coming after him. Whatever the reason for Flora being an issue, it must be personal or-

"Eh, Spike staked her brother."

It was clear, from the way her boyfriend's eyes shifted, that Spike could have gladly strangled Ace right then. But the sapphire blue gaze soon met wide hazel again, and the reality of what had just been said hit her.

Well, it didn't really hit all too hard, to be honest. Because Buffy rapidly figured out that Spike liked to hunt other vampires. She'd known he'd done so, but she hadn't known he STILL liked finding and fighting them... for sport.

He quickly rambled on about how it had to do with violence, something he enjoyed because he was a demon, he needed bloodshed and that sort of thing. Buffy's mind went over things he'd told her tonight, how vampires were soulless and evil, all of them. Yet Spike was an exception, though he did not dare admit it.

Buffy had only read the bad on vampires back in the books at the library- ALL of them, and she hadn't found one good word on the creatures of the night. And she couldn't find much wrong with Spike dusting those of his kind either. They weren't nice, they killed and enjoyed being evil, and they WERE soulless. She had no doubt the main majority deserved to be killed. And no bad feeling over what he was doing surfaced.

But Spike obviously thought she would somehow think him a villain, because he was sweating and stuttering over explanations. He was saying things she'd already mentally established in her brain. Didn't he remember telling her a while ago, in his bedroom, that no vampire was good or to be trusted? They were hunters and had no consciences, but a taste for blood and murder instead.

They could love each other sometimes, but not many of them, not many of them at all.

And they still killed no matter what. The others weren't like Spike. If they were, her guy might be a little more accepting of the kindness and heart that lurked inside himself.

So Buffy said, "Spike," in a soft voice, calming him. He quit talking, complete attention refocused; he didn't seem to notice the raised eyebrows from his friends. Buffy continued, "I just wanted to know why this vampire was after you. And... You staked her brother, who was also a vamp..." she nodded, her voice becoming almost matter-of-fact, "and she wants revenge."

The statement ended there. The reiteration stopped, and Buffy stared back at Spike as emotions finally made themselves known. She'd been avoiding it until now.

Someone actually wanted hurt him. This other vampire wanted to kill Spike, harm him in a serious way. It wasn't a prank, and this wasn't a movie, vampires existed and so did Greek Gods and amber eyes and fangs were attributes for people you thought were just people. Magick was real and red-eyed demons walked about in the world. Nothing was funny anymore, nothing carefree, because in this world there were those who wanted to take away the person who meant more to you than you'd ever thought someone could mean. Especially if you hadn't planned on letting that person in, but somehow, he'd managed it anyway.

Buffy's stomach clenched in pain. She swallowed around a suddenly tight throat, and then let her next words ring with the determination and hostility of someone who'd just had a grenade aimed at their world again.

No one would take him away from her.

Not him. "If Flora wants revenge, I'll be helping stop her from getting it."

Oh boy, that might've been the wrong thing to say.

End Notes:
Please review! *hugs*
(seriously even though i took forever with this one im nervous about it. Feedback would be much appreciated!)
Chapter 25: Get What I Want by Linnae13
IMPORTANT: I know I shouldn't be putting Author's notes in the story section, but it seems my chapter notes have all been deleted. I am figuring it has something to do with the recent updates to the site? Anyhow, I wont bother trying to repeat the mundane things I have written in all of them, but I will repost the link to where this story will continue should the Spuffy Realm be taken offline for any reason:

http://www.booksie.com/fan_fiction/novel/aliciaparavola/bfmd-(be-fearless-my-dear)/chapter/1

As I did say before, this link is ONLY if the Spuffy Realm goes offline. There was some news on the home page which spurred me to post BeFearless on another site just in case, and again I say, I appreciate all that those who run this site do to keep it up. I love the Spuffy Realm very much, and i love writing and posting fanfic on here. I won't be posting at the link above UNLESS and ONLY IF TSR goes offline.

Alrighty then, hugs to everyone! Enjoy this chappie!

(P.S. I'm sure you guys don't really care about the missing chapter notes, but i feel i did write some important things in there. Like how this is still a very early fanfiction for me, I only have four written and posted and I believe this is my third or... second? one I posted. I'm still very much an amateur at writing. And I listed some warnings that were definitely NOT going to be needed for this story, seeing as certain things just WOULDN'T happen. And someone asked in a review to list some things which helped inspire me for characters/places, and I listed a couple of things. If anyone has any other questions I'll be answering them in review responses.)

________________________________________
Buffy realized her mistake the minute Spike grabbed her arm. She saw that nerve in his jaw twitch, and poorly controlled irritation was obvious as he pulled her from the kitchen.

Some amusing one-liner she was sure belonged to Blake echoed behind them, but it took less than a second for her attention to be completely stolen away again. Spike brought her into the living room, and she was soon against the wall farthest from the kitchen, closest to the roaring fireplace.

Arms closing her in, faces close, she found herself staring at a determined, blue eyed wall of aggravation.

"You're not gettin involved with this Flora bint."

Oh, there was some anger there, too.

A frown of annoyance came over Buffy's face pretty quickly. "What do-"

"She's a problem yer not gonna be roped into, got it?"

His eyes, so steady and unmoving. So determined. Buffy wasn't sure what she'd planned on doing to help take his rival down, but her statement in the kitchen had been true. She wouldn't let some evil vampire take away her... good vampire. Spike wasn't going to get hurt again, and she was going to make sure of it. "What I GET is you're not letting me help."

His eyes flashed. "Bloody right."

"Well why not?" She put her hands on her hips, knowingly taking on a very stubborn pose, one which she hoped he recognized. Spike knew how damned hardheaded she could be when she wanted.

Not that she was an overly obstinate person, of course.

"I can... do SOMETHING! I saw all those papers and the computer, are you guys trying to find out more information on her? I could do that. And I could help hunt her down, too."

Wow. Buffy didn't think she'd ever seen someone's eyes bulge that much. Or heard teeth actually grind. "She's dangerous, Buffy. You think if she knew who you were and what you meant to me she wouldn't get her revenge by takin your life?"

She noticed his throat close tightly around those words, even as he ground them out. He was upset, extremely. He didn't want her help, even though she was adamant about giving it, and he was scared over any threat to her life if she successfully did.

Buffy understood, she could see it written all over his handsome, fretful face. She just mentally pushed the info to the back of her mind to fawn over later. Right now, she needed to win an argument. "You think that just because this woman's a vampire and she can hurt me, that I'm gonna let her hurt YOU? Sorry but not sorry, Spike. I am not going to do NOTHING while you're targeted by a killer!"

Spike wanted to throttle her. She wanted to go up against a monster. Flora was something him and the supernaturally endowed blokes in the kitchen could deal with, they'd all done through with worse. But Buffy- strong and willful as she was -was human. She had her brain, and to tell the truth, Spike had faith in her capability to take care of herself; but he didn't want to be proven wrong in that department. Ever. Vampires bent on revenge was not something she should be dealing with right off the bat.

Maybe, in time... As things continued progressing for them, he'd gradually wade her into it. He'd teach her more, some fighting skills, some maneuvers and more knowledge. Hell, he'd let her come with him on patrols. As much as the notion made him nervous, Spike knew his girl well enough to know that, sooner or later, she'd want to tag along.

But they both needed time before jumping into a threat like Flora. He needed time to get used to the idea of Buffy being at his side in a scene where her life could be in danger, and she needed the time to get used to said danger.

"I've been 'targeted' before. YOU have not."

"Well," she flung her arms out once and dropped them back down, the snappy gesture clearly made out of frustration, "Consider me targeted, because I'm not going to sit by while you get beat up all the time!"

"I don't get beat up all the time," he said, a little petulantly, much to his own annoyance.

Buffy placed one hand on her hip again. He wondered how she managed to make the action look both dubious and demanding at the same time. "Well then if there's no danger for you, there should be no danger for me."

Spike knew his molars would be ground to dust by the time this conversation was over. He wanted to plant his fist into something. Now. Preferably Flora's pinched up mug, but he couldn't at the moment because he was a little busy trying to protect someone who was able to flambé him worse than any weapon Flora threw his way.

He needed Buffy. That smile, the complete power she seemed to have over his nerves, the laughter. Her comfort. Warmth. He loved her. He cared about her too damn much.

He couldn't let her into the dilemma at hand, even though he knew she wanted to protect him.

If she got killed...

Buffy blinked when Spike raised a hand, smoothly slipping it into her hair, his palm cupping her jaw with gentle devotion. His eyes, always bright, always piercing, became almost too much to look at for the emotion in them. She bit her tongue to prevent a gasp, but when it seemed like he was going to say something that would almost surely make her retract her recent demands, Buffy let go. "Spike, you want me to be a part of your life, but you're trying to keep me from it..."

A shift occurred in his eyes. Uncertainty made the blue deeper. Quickly, she continued. "I understand this is going to be dangerous... I get that." She lifted her hand now, softly running two fingers along his forehead and down the bridge of his nose. It was where his vamp face showed. "But you can't protect me if you want me. Not completely."

And just like that, Spike realized that, unfortunately, she was right.

*Oh, bleedin Christ...* His nerves were going to be the end of him if Flora wasn't made a thing of the past very, very soon.

***

Twenty minutes since Spike had finally agreed to let her help and Buffy still felt the tension; it was in his voice as well as his presence. The subject had been dropped, but the pressure of it still rode on their shoulders.

Stevo was waiting for the microwave to finish heating something up, Dylan was on his computer in the living room, easily ignoring Rex and Ace as they argued over a game of Speed, and Blake had just finished filling up a hot water bottle for his back. Everyone had decided rest was the best thing to do for the remainder of the night, given that they were all injured, but no one wanted to actually sleep yet. Apparently, by rest they'd meant stay up a few more hours and amuse themselves.

The television was turned on in the living room, and Spike had just removed his ardent, considering stare away from her direction, and been about to exit the kitchen when he was called to assistance.

"What the hell's wrong with it?!"

"It's fuzzy!" That was Ace.

"Well just hit the side of it once or twice, usually fixes it!"

"You don't think Rex already did that?!"

"Ya better get in there, Spike," Blake chimed in, "Unless you want Rex to pull a Hulk and just demolish the whole thing."

Her boyfriend grumbled something impolite under his breath, then turned sharply and said, "Stev, will you go get the cooler of blood out of the trunk of my car? Don't need it spoilin."

Buffy stood as still as a poker. Her spine turned starched stiff and while she stood their wide-eyed, Spike left the kitchen to fix his television set, his walk exclaiming about the agitation that still sat rigid in his muscles, and Stevo went to retrieve the apparent cooler.

With blood in it.

Buffy shook her head very hard. Then, with a deep breath, she shook it again.

Okay. Blood.

Meaning blood bags.

Actually, it truly wasn't a huge deal or anything. Just something she had to get used to.

She hoped that would come soon.

Buffy started clearing the island countertop, stacking papers and cleaning up the "medical supplies." Spike's casual- albeit terse -mentioning of the blood in his car, right in front of her, probably said that he was starting to believe she wouldn't run from him again. That was a good thing. A VERY good thing.

But he could've just been too madly distracted to think about what he was saying, too.

Buffy sighed and dumped the large water bowl in the sink. Logically, she knew Spike was just worried about her. Her stomach warmed every damn time she recalled the arguing about her future involvement with the Flora problem, even though that twenty minute old issue had managed to make her upset, as well.

But she was NOT going to sit by-... twiddling her thumbs while someone threatened him! She might not be able to do much... but she sure wasn't going do nothing!

Spike would rather she did, because he was afraid for HER. Buffy humphed, and ignored the fuzzy feeling in the pit of her stomach. *Perhaps lower.* Who was the one with a killer coming after them again?

She replayed his all of his reasoning again in her head: She was new to this supernatural stuff, she was human, she could be killed in order to hurt him- Well! Buffy knew how Spike would feel if someone was coming after her, wanting her head on a platter. It'd be all growly, fangy desperation. Hell, the guy would probably lock her up in a tower.

To tell the truth, she wasn't completely against the idea of shipping him off to Antarctica just to protect his stubborn ass, but she couldn't. All she could do was try and help. And discourage him from taking risks, going out until his injuries healed, walking alone... ever...

This was going to go real smoothly, she could already tell.

She was just as protective as he was, damn it! God help them both.

Her attention was distracted when she suddenly heard a thud at the back door. It was off of the hallway attaching the kitchen to the living room, the way Stevo had just left to get the cooler full of blood.

Stevo might be having trouble opening the door while holding the cooler. He probably-

Oh shit! His hand was hurt. Buffy approached the door and opened it quickly, expecting to see the tall gypsy on the other side.

She didn't. All she could see in the area was darkness and shadowy trees, like something out of a horror flick. She hit the light switch she felt by her hand and looked out at the bright, leaf covered ground. Autumn colors, a smiling moon and twinkling stars above her head... The air was crisp. The late night filled with small noises made by the evening's critters. A moistness lingered in the cold breeze, rustling through tall tree branches and knocking leaves down to touch the mossy grass.

Buffy inhaled greedily, taking in air that was fresh, even as she looked around with a frown on her face. She couldn't see anyone or thing asides from night nature with its sounds and the almost full moon. It was beautiful out, yet a little eerie when alone.

A quick shiver ran down her spine, and she wrapped her arms around herself. Gathering nerve, she took a step out onto the small porch, solidly built but again, small. She would have felt a little cornered if the door weren't just behind her.

A thud sounded just like before, and she noticed a tree branch above her head. It was hitting the top of the doorway when the wind blew just hard enough. Buffy sighed.

Then a rustling sound distracted her, bringing her eyes back to the open area of forest. Remembering she was blonde, and that strange noises usually meant doom for people of her gender in the aforementioned scary movies, she was about to call out to Stevo to see if he was nearby. Something behind the bushes caught her focus.

Her eyes narrowed, and she ignored the skipping in her chest. Perhaps everything that had happened tonight had gotten her spooked, or maybe she was simply tired and therefore jumpy, but Buffy decided to go back inside. Stevo's hand wouldn't suffer too much, and she could ask one of the others to help him.

She backed up into the doorway, her eyes still glued to the bushes.

Then jumped and shrieked.

And then, she smacked herself in the forehead.

It was a freaking opossum.

A cute, ugly-tailed, furry little thing no bigger than her forearm, and she'd screamed. Buffy had to roll her eyes at herself.

She didn't have much time, though, or to take another breath, before Spike grabbed her around the waist and pulled her inside. Half shutting the door as he stared threateningly out into the night, a small snarl threatened to build in his chest. He slammed the door fast and faced her, and somehow Buffy could tell he was almost ready to fang out.

The situation shouldn't have been amusing, because he took her arms and asked her what was wrong, why'd she screamed, did she see something? All in all his voice was frantic and the kitchen filled up quickly with concerned males of every stature.

Yet, she could not, no matter how hard she bit her lip, contain a giggle. And then it got louder and louder...

Until she was full out laughing. At herself, and the situation, and the perfection of being scared of a harmless little animal the same night everything about monsters and magick had been revealed to her. The same day she'd learned she was dating a vampire, and had an argument with said vampire about staying safe, more than once.

It was just hysterical, and Buffy wiped tears from her eyes even as Spike directed her to a stool to sit down at Stevo's suggestion. Blake's statement, "I think she cracked. We told her too much in one night," just managed to make her laugh harder.

Spike's eyes, trying to lock with hers so he could get her to focus and calm down, was the only thing that finally- after maybe a full minute or two -got her to stop cackling. Her laughter died away, but she still shook with reverberations of amusement.

"What the bloody hell was that about?"

Buffy wiped at her eyes again and asked, "Could you get me a tissue, please?" She barely whispered it, but her lips were fighting another grin. She took the paper towel he handed her, which had travelled from Blake to Rex to Stevo before reaching Spike's hand. They all looked at her in wonder and confusion, worry barely there anymore except for Spike. He still thought something was wrong.

Buffy took a large swallow of air, and said, "I got scared by a possum." She looked at them all, and snickered another laugh at their blank faces. God, she really was awful for finding this so funny, but their expressions made it even worse. "I didn't mean to scream."

Blake was the first to break the silence. "Yep. We broke her."

Buffy simply smiled. "I'm sorry. I guess- I'm just jumpy tonight. Or, I WAS. That latest freak out kinda knocked any jumpy-ness right outta me, I think."

Spike was staring at her, and he blinked rapidly before shaking his head, releasing a sigh that, judging by the length of it, Buffy figured he'd been holding in for quite some time.

He said, "Come here," in a simple voice of need, and Buffy complied without hesitation. Her smile turned apologetic, and as he wrapped her in his arms and laid his lips onto the top of her head, she knew that she really would have to be careful from here on out.

Especially if she wanted him to be careful in return.

***

A large thud sounded in the cavern.

"You rash little fool!"

Flora hit the rock wall yet again. She'd lost count of how many times exactly at this point, but her nose was bleeding and she had bruises along with ripped clothing. Not to mention a splitting headache. None of which were from her fight earlier.

"You've said that already," she coughed, spitting out blood for the first time in her life. Her eyes locked onto her boss.

The witch.

Her name was Antonia. Tall, thin, and elegant; she looked more like an Egyptian queen than anything else. She had long, wavy black hair and eyes of intense indigo blue, the color unsettling yet beautiful against her mocha skin. It was usually impossible, Flora had thought, to acquire such attributes genetically.

But again, this woman was a witch.

A powerful one. And she wasn't happy.

"I told you," she yelled, "I ordered you not to go after that vampire! I should turn you into dust!" Her hand shot out as if in punctuation, and with it came something resembling a... lightning bolt?

"Ahh!" Flora didn't have time to determine exactly what it was, because she'd been hit with it, and now she felt like she'd just been run through with a pole.

Antonia's face curled up into a scowl. Her lips pressed together and her eyes started to glow. They always did when she was losing power, as if in warning. She faded quicker when she was angry, and right now, wrath was indeed the most dominant emotion.

Antonia stepped close to the foolhardy creature at her feet. She debated using more power to cause more pain, which would surely be remembered in dull agony even years from now, but really, Flora was not worth it.

Even if she had almost ruined everything. "You not only went after him when I told you not to," she reached out, and traced the vampire's cheek with a sharp, lengthened fingernail; her tone became tempered, "but you managed to get many of our little helpers killed. You knew Spike had friends with him..."

Flora winced when Antonia began to dig into skin, putting sharp pressure where it was too sensitive, close beneath her eye. Her head felt like a balloon filled with too much air, ready to burst, but she still managed to stutter, "I-I thought he w-would be alone-"

"That's a lie!" Antonia screamed, and stood up in a huff, her fingers zapping blue sparks. "I gave you power to protect and hide with, to be able to spy on him without his notice! NOT so you could use it to fight him!"

Flora coughed into the dirt where she lay. Antonia resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Pathetic creatures, vampires. She'd only met a few in her time who'd ever truly been worth their big talk and frightening reputations.

One, she was busy trying to use. If this dimwitted child didn't manage to kill him first. "You're not strong enough to face him, but-"

"I AM strong e-enough!" Flora's screech caused her to lapse into another coughing fit, blood and drool leaked from her lips.

"All it takes is one lucky shot," Antonia said, her voice heavy with distaste and condescension, "and you had help. I don't give a damn about him once he leads me to what I need, but you MIGHT just manage to kill him. If you're lucky." She kicked a little dirt into the woman's bloodied face, her next words a clear command. "So, Flora dear, you cannot attempt to kill him until I say so."

The vampire muttered something to herself.

Antonia ignored what she was sure was an insult, her patience wearing thin. "Flora..."

"What?!" she shouted in reply. "You give me power, and I'm not allowed to use it?! We have a deal-!"

"YES! We DO have a deal, and I haven't received my part of it yet!" Antonia exploded, and advanced on her again, grabbing and pinching Flora's jaw as she turned her battered face towards hers. "You do not do anything to William the Bloody before I say you may, understood?"

The vampire growled. Her eyes clashing stubbornly with glowing, indigo blue... But she relented; with a nod and a gritted out, "Fine."

"No, no, no, not 'FINE,' dear. 'Yes.'" She smiled with evil delight, loving the prideful idiot before her wilting in the face of true power. "Say it now. Give me your word. Even though I'm not so sure how much it's worth, I want it."

Flora almost snarled, but she was too wounded, and her eye hurt, and there was blood dribbling down her throat making her want to cough again. So she said, "I give you my word."

"Good." Abruptly, Antonia stood, her elegant, sheer gold dress following her like a loyal pet. The wispy fabric danced around her bare feet as she walked back into the cavern she'd claimed as her own. It was lined with comforts and the walls didn't drop rocks from time to time like in the rest of the underground cave, and the dirt didn't move from its place. She'd spelled the area into something of her own.

What she could do with her powers was grand, but stood paltry to what she wanted; nothing compared to all she planned to be able to do.

That worthless vampire partner of hers, and the other under their mutual watch, were just two factors Antonia would have to keep in strict place.

Spike was already looking for what he must; the prophecy would fold out. She simply needed Flora to behave, the wretched, revenge bent idiot.

And as long as all else went smoothly- Or, not so smoothly. She always had room in a plan for changes and troubles -then she would get what she wanted.

One way or another, she would get what she wanted.
End Notes:
Thanks all for reading and reviewing, i hope you all continue to do so! *huggles* Have a great evening, day, whichever! :D
Chapter 26: Two Given Hearts by Linnae13
Time continued to pass, and with it the weather got colder, the trees more colorful, and the attachments between a vampire, his friends, and his girlfriend, grew stronger.

November went at its own pace, the days ranging from high activity to no activity at all.

It began rather quickly; Buffy's presence at Spike's house was now recurrent, and she was thrown- as she'd wished to be -into the goings on with the Flora problem.

She'd been prepared for that. Buffy had planned on helping Dylan at the computer, brainstorming ideas, and even calling an endless amount of witches and voodoo places located in New Orleans was not something that brought on surprise. The sudden mentioning of an elusive Gem which was apparently also in the picture did, however, manage to unsteady her just a bit.

It seemed a little farfetched at first mention, a powerful hunk of jewelry that was basically a vampire shield of titanium against fire, sunlight, beheading, stakes- everything lethal.

Then she remembered her sleeping charm... along with everything else standing right in front of her.

The amber stone, she wore just about every night now. The vampire, gypsy, demon existence feat, that was displayed just about every day for her. The powerful, mythic Gem of Amara, she hadn't even seen a picture of yet.

When she'd realized that fact- almost immediately after getting used to the concept of such a powerful thing existing -she'd of course asked to see one.

Well, it turned out the guys had yet to locate a picture.

She was frustrated, and had quickly made it her highest priority to find a damn photo or drawing of the thing. It could be a necklace, it could be a ring, it could just be a little sparkly marble in the dirt, or it could be embedded in a crown- No one knew. And the fact that the Gem was absolutely pure LEGEND didn't help her irritation whatsoever.

And she refused to ask Spike whether or not he was going to keep this magick rock for himself or not. She'd wonder about that after they found it- IF they found it.

The added determination she felt and displayed from that point on was probably what got Spike to stop griping about her helping. He still didn't like her being involved with any of this, but he no longer scowled and grumbled every time she and Dylan were brainstorming, or Stevo suggested she read through some of his gypsy journal. Or when the others and she got into a debate regarding Drusilla's vision's meaning.

Stevo had explained. She knew about Drusilla's visions and the soul and the slow crawl the woman had made back to sanity. But Buffy hadn't known she was the reason Spike's friends were all with him now. She had not known that it was Drusilla who had received a vision involving the Gem of Amara to start all of this.

The vision that was as much a clue as it was a mystery. Finding out exactly what it meant and if it was somehow related to Flora and her agenda were part of the group's research initiative.

As the days went by, slowly sometimes and quickly some others, a routine was developed. Or, at least, a sort of expectancy. Buffy waitressed during the daylight hours now- Most of the time. When she did not, Spike gladly picked her up. Non-work days she usually spent reading, sometimes at the library (even with the bitter-sweetness of Spike not being there), and sometimes at home; or she was with Grams. Then later, Spike and his friends woke up. She often brought food back from Leonard's for the posse of men, which Spike paid her for in advance, even the times she offered to treat. Stuff like leftover pie or orders of fries were things Leonard didn't mind giving away to her, though, since she was one of his waitresses, so she felt like she was contributing.

Arriving at Spike's come dusk was her norm, and the group had come to expect it. The days she missed stopping by- maybe two days a week -were always responded to with surprise. And she always had something to clean up the next day.

It was a nice little routine. Buffy enjoyed it, even when she had to play the mediator in an argument that had started and then festered on the day she was gone. The guys were much calmer when she was around. She supposed it was either because they still believed that they should be better behaved around Spike's girlfriend, or because she just helped keep them in line.

Given that she'd seen Rex and Blake wrestle down the staircase, saying things she hadn't known were phrases- twice! -Buffy didn't think they were too worried about their manners. She also wasn't positive that her 'keeping in line' talents weren't dwindling. She would have to work on that.

Of course, the guys treated her like a friend, and so they acted that way around her. Spike seemed used to it, happy about it, now. Which set Buffy at ease.

Her feelings for the vampire did not stop strengthening one bit during the weeks of researching, and discussions, and even separation sometimes.

Often, Buffy was left with one or two of the guys when the others would leave to go out and look for people who might be able to provide some information on Flora. "People" meaning demons. And "provide" meaning give after being threatened and/or beaten up.

Since she knew that the guys were only doing what they were used to doing, and getting information in the quickest possible way, she wasn't too worried. Even if her conscience had prompted her to question why they couldn't just ask their suspects nicely, or offer up money. Or hell, get a female to flirt information out of the men like they sometimes did in movies, and Blake could move in on the girls.

They'd all told her that sometimes money did work out, but usually a fist was better. Asking hardly ever produced results. And then Blake had looked at her, one black eyebrow risen, and said, "You'd wanna be my partner in crime, dollface?"

She hadn't been insulted. Stevo and Ace and Dylan and Rex hadn't reacted other than to look at her in amused expectancy for an answer. Spike, however, had immediately said, "Not bloody likely," in a voice which still sent shivers down Buffy's spine when she thought about it.

Then, the idea had rolled through her mind very slowly, and she'd gone over it again and again until getting the bravery, about an hour later, to mention that it might not be such a bad idea actually. She could go into a bar and flirt with some drunk guy to try and get information, she wouldn't exactly want to, but the more they knew about Flora the sooner she'd be caught. Which meant the sooner Spike was safe.

Buffy had thought he was going to have conniptions when she brought it up again. A firm "Hell no," was his answer, and nothing else; except for a little fear she had for Blake's life over making the joke before. It had taken a while to get Spike to calm down, finally giving up in the argument which had taken up about fifteen minutes of their time.

Ten more were wasted in furious kisses and biting lips after she conceded defeat.

That's how they were. It seemed the urge to touch and kiss and push each other against the nearest wall was not something that was going to go away. The urges were only getting worse. The tension only tightening, and the touching more frequent. From casual brushes to heated grips, they touched all the time. They kissed just as much, and they fought almost as often as the guys did with each other.

It was only little spats, really, no big blow ups. And they were never truly mad at each other. It was things like what color the walls were painted in the living room and did or didn't Spike tell her to bring back pumpkin pie rather than blueberry this week? It was almost marital, their arguments; the ones that didn't involve gems and demons, of course.

Buffy supposed it had something to do with the thicker tension, the stronger pull and the more desire that she could feel virtually magnetizing her to Spike. At first, she hadn't really gotten what was going on. She hadn't figured it out.

But then, like a ton of bricks, it'd hit her.

One day, in the second week of November, she had arrived just before the sun went down. She was empty handed except for her bag, from which her headphones streamed; she was busy getting lost in music. When she opened the front door- Spike had given her a key; and yes, she was still trying to relax her pitter-pattering heart -a noise loud enough to be heard past her headphones came from beneath her feet. Quickly running through to the living room, she found Ace and Blake calmly reading through sheets of paper Dylan must have printed out. She smelled coffee from the kitchen and knew Stevo was probably in there. Before she could even ask, another bang sounded, one she'd felt in the soles of her shoes.

"What the hell is that?!"

She rarely swore, so even a little word like that coming from her caught Ace's and Blake's attention immediately. They both looked startled. "What is what?" Blake asked.

She opened her eyes wide at them like they were both oblivious idiots. "The BANGING," she exclaimed.

"Oh," Ace chuckled, "It's just Rex and your boyfriend. They're sparring in the basement."

Buffy shook her head, frowning hard, then quickly tucked her headphones away as Ace stood up. Her question was clear on her face, and as he steered her toward the back of the house he explained, "They're just getting in a few kicks and hits. Nothing actually harmful."

Buffy sighed. "Oh." She'd thought she was going crazy or something, hearing loud noises no one else was reacting to.

Ace brought her through the hallway off the living room, passed the bathroom and to another door which lead outside. The basement was almost directly across from the room Buffy had fondly labeled the "Serene Room" in her own head, the place with empty flower vases and cream colored walls.

Ace opened the basement door to reveal a wooden staircase leading down. Buffy saw unfurnished cement walls as they descended rough, un-sanded steps, and there was a mustiness in the air that declared the space a true cellar.

She heard grunts and curses coming from below, and as she walked further, light sprang up and she could finally see a large blue mat that took up half of the entire floor. As she hit the bottom step, it became clear to her that perhaps she should not have ventured down here to see her boyfriend fighting.

Spike lunged, oblivious as possible to her presence, though an almost indiscernible shiver went over his arms when he passed her to land atop Rex. As far as she could tell, Spike wasn't in game face, but she could feel the aggression in the room as clearly as she could see the sweat on his bare back. That strong, lean, muscled throughout every inch form. She barely heard her own gasp when Spike was thrown across the room to land flat on the mat. Rex stood in defense as the vampire rose back up, flicking a near unnoticeable glance at Buffy and making her heart rate go haywire.

She was overheating. Spike was the one sparring and dodging and throwing punches and she was sweating. Her eyes riveted to sleek, quick movements. The man was like a giant tiger in his ferocity, faking moves left and right, shoulders controlled and kicks high as he and Rex beat on one another. Spike was in his element, fighting and enjoying it, sneering when he got a good punch in, retaliating when Rex did.

She literally couldn't blink. She wasn't even aware her breathing kept ceasing every time she got a good glimpse of Spike's abs. They literally looked like sculpted marble, or photo-shopped.

Could you edit a real life man to be perfect?

If you could, Spike was the ideal archetype.

And she was melting. Something... just something about how he reveled in it. She could count the times it took him to breathe uselessly in and out, how with each step his body danced with readiness and his skin had a slight sweaty sheen to it. Suddenly images clouded her mind as she looked on at the vampire she called her own, the one who called her his. She saw them rolling on the ground together, scrambling for the upper hand until they became sweaty for an entirely different reason other than fighting. Tearing cloth, jean buttons popping... Nails scratching down that beautiful, rippling back. Those quick hands of his caressing with roughness and softness together. It was lust coursing through her body and making her swallow hard and mindlessly rub her neck where she could feel his lips.

A shudder went through her. Buffy gasped when Spike suddenly kicked Rex in the chest and the thunderbird went down. She shook herself out of the fog as well as she could, grateful that it was Ace standing next to her watching the fight rather than Blake. She did not need an empath smirking at her and making her blush because he knew her emotions as they danced through with smutty lust.

She stared at Spike and her breath caught yet again when Rex lunged unexpectedly and caught the vampire off guard, tumbling them to the mat and trying for a head lock of some sort. The struggle increased and the fighting went on, but then something else caught Buffy's eye.

In the corner of the room sat a furry little kitten, curiosity and wariness on her face as she stared at Spike and Rex. Buffy didn't know how long she'd been there, but instantly became worried one of the two fighters would fall on her. "Princess..."

Ace looked at Buffy, then followed her gaze to the furball in the corner who'd just started approaching the stairs where she'd heard what she knew as her name. She meowed.

Buffy saw the exact moment Spike noticed her, too, and didn't even have time to blink when he kicked Rex away from him with such force the thunderbird hit the wall. Spike was up and grabbing the kitten in a flash, scolding the little thing as he approached.

Wide-eyed, staring, Buffy watched Ace take the kitten when Spike handed her over. He was sweating and panting, and annoyed with his pet. "Little bugger. Don't let her down here anymore, she'll get herself killed," he said, absently leaning down to give Buffy a kiss on the forehead and brush his fingers over her arm. She shuddered, goose bumps running over her skin.

Then, she looked over at the sound of a groan to where Rex was slowly getting to his feet. The thunderbird looked at Spike and glared. "Cement and my back don't fucking mix well, Spike."

The vampire removed his touch from her sensitized skin. Buffy swallowed, and needing something to do with her hands as a shirtless, grinning Spike stood right there, looking edible and tempting, she took Princess from Ace's hands and pet the lanky tabby.

Spike walked over to his friend and said, "Had to save the cat. Sorry, mate."

He didn't sound all too sorry, and Rex sighed, rubbing his neck as he looked away in disgust. "I swear that feline's out to get me."

Ace chuckled from Buffy's side, and then the three were joking and throwing out barbs at each other, as usual. Her ears deafened to the voices, her eyes locked on her vampire. Spike turned his head and met her gaze, and something very close to heated awareness sparked. The tension built, and she noticed his nostrils flare.

It was then. Right then, and she knew. As fire burned through her and a sexual want clearly displayed itself for Spike to see, she knew she loved him. From fighter to kitten-protector, fangs to smirks; he was all hers. She wanted to be a part of him and his life and never leave, crawl under his skin to stay there and be safe from ever losing him. Buffy's breath turned ragged after she realized it, a mixture of want and revelation running through her. She became suddenly terrified, but at the same time she knew it was too late.

Like a ship braving the waves during a storm, lightning flashes overhead and water soaks the deck, but you're already on the ride. You have to secure your place on that ship and make sure not to drown. That's all you can do. There's no getting off or running away. Buffy felt like she was drowning in the water, but she was only on the boat.

Which was why she wanted Spike as desperately as she did. Because she loved him, and she didn't know if he loved her. An animal inside her was clawing its way out through her heart, demanding to be heard and recognized. It wanted- She wanted -Spike. She wanted him with the depth of a woman who'd never had something so fiery in her life, only passionless options and no emotional rocking like what she had experienced with him.

He'd gotten her out of her shell, and while she still had a ways to go, she was working on it because of him. Spike made her see things she didn't want to and he made her want again.

It was petrifying. It was glorious.

Scary because she wanted it more than anything, amazing because she knew it was and would be an unbreakable bond to lie down in his arms, and she could lie there forever. She'd dig her heels in and fight for everything they had, against Flora she'd wield her own sword and she'd dig up the whole state to find that stupid Gem if she had to, but she would not stay with someone who did not want her. She needed to know now if he-

Spike came up to her then, and he stared down at her and Buffy's heartbeat sped up and her eyelids wanted to droop but she knew tears would start so she kept still. He looked at her with... love. And he sealed her lips with a kiss to mark the pages of lonely books, the kind of kiss that should be written about because no one gives kisses like that, the kind that last for years and make a brand on your heart. But this one did, and then Buffy knew. She felt it, and even if she lived to be a hundred, she would never forget the moment she knew.

Spike had her heart, she had his. Unspoken words could be said sometimes clearer than the air breathed. And Buffy finally realized why, understood, that both lust and love were taking them over every day.
_________________________________
End Notes: Still can't post in the author's notes so here I am in the story section again. I just wanted to say that I apologize for this chappie being late. And I know it wasn't long, but it was supposed to be short and sweet. Thank you for the reviews and for reading!
Chapter 27: Following Me by Linnae13
She probably shouldn't have done it.

Buffy realized this. She really did, but at the time, it certainly hadn't been a horrible idea. She was only curious, after all, which was normal under the circumstances... Okay, she'd been more than that. She'd been worried and upset.

So her mission had been dangerous, yes, but completely normal.

Her stress level had been just high enough for her to take part in a little... rebellion, should we say? Yes, that was a nice and fitting word.

Being a part of Spike's life meant being a part of the troubles and the successes. And Buffy knew he'd already agreed to let her help out with researching and stuff, but that wasn't enough.

Well okay, it was plenty. But yesterday, she hadn't really thought much through. You see, Thanksgiving was coming up.

Not a big deal, just a regular, annually celebrated holiday in the U.S., and she'd expected Grams to have something planned. Maybe a simple dinner at home, maybe gathering at a neighbor's house for the meal. The thought of spending a whole day and evening with people her Grams knew much better than she possibly could wasn't the most appealing of options for Thanksgiving dinner, but she wasn't going to complain. If it was what Grams wanted, then Buffy would smile and try to be courteous and have a nice time.

Sure enough, they were gathering at the home of Meg Stovall and her mother, some other friends were also invited. Anne said it shouldn't be more than ten people, aware of Buffy's disinterest in dealing with strangers. Of course, Grams knew she was a waitress now, too, so she didn't seem too concerned. And Buffy wasn't about to worry Anne with her OWN worries about whether people might bring up the recent deaths in the Summers family.

One thing Buffy did not want was to burst into tears in the middle of dinner. It was the first real holiday since her mom and grandpa had died. Joyce always made a lovely spread for Thanksgiving and Buffy didn't need to think about that. It was going to be hard enough.

She was afraid it was going to feel hollow.

Which was probably why she wanted to ask Spike to come with her.

And immediate "No" was what she expected. And so between that knowledge, the upcoming holiday, missing her mom and grandfather more than anything, and dinner being held at the home of the kind, albeit chatty woman she'd met at Mama Leann’s, Buffy was not in the best mood.

She wasn't angry or temperamental, exactly, when she arrived at Spike's after work. On edge and emotional might have been more accurate words.

Buffy was tightlipped, her mind as blank as she could make it to refrain from worrying about things. She hated feeling numb-ish, it'd been so long. Yet today she was grateful all the same. She yearned to delve into a book, read something and forget the world as she often did. But she was expected at Spike's and she wanted to ask him if he'd go to dinner. She also didn't want to ask him.

She needed to avoid unwelcome feelings every time she remembered her usual Thanksgivings with mom and Papa. Joyce was cooking, grandpa was watching a football game with a couple of his friends who sometimes joined them for the dinner. There was always pecan pie, the best stuffing in the world, a perfectly cooked turkey, and sweet potatoes baked with mini marshmallows. And her mom often invited a friend or two from the neighborhood if she knew they had nowhere else to be.

The table had always been full, and Buffy didn't want to think about all of the things that wouldn't happen again. How she wouldn't hear her grandfather yelling at the television, or mom rushing to get everything done on time. The smells were always the same, with the same recipes and the same foods offered up, and the same prayer her Papa used to insist they say before eating.

It wouldn't be the same now. Grams was the only thing stopping her from ignoring the holiday altogether.

Buffy's throat was tight as she closed Spike's front door and quickly threw a wall down, between herself and the rest of the world; she was shutting off her mind except to do the necessary things like walk and breathe.

Being closed off, she idly realized that she hadn't been so in a long while. The feeling was suddenly foreign, when before it had been so familiar.

Her thoughts were interrupted. Rex came straight up to her from the kitchen, his face inscrutable. "Where's the milk?" he asked gruffly.

Buffy shook her head. "I would assume in the fridge."

"I looked there."

"Then we're out?" she offered as explanation, thinking he seemed a little on edge about a dairy product.

"Damn it." He turned away and headed back to the kitchen, grumbling loud enough for her to hear as she followed him. "She won't stop meowing and refuses to eat normal fucking food."

Buffy rose an eyebrow, but before she could ask the obvious question, she entered the kitchen and saw Princess on the island countertop, three bowls of different kitty edibles before her. She meowed as soon as Buffy and Rex cleared the doorway, then meowed again. And again.

Buffy understood pretty quickly. "She won't eat?"

"No," he replied, "the little brat just kept scratching at an empty container of that stupid powder used to make her milk before I tossed it. And she won't eat anything I set out for her."

Buffy almost felt bad for Rex, he looked so put out. She approached the still meowing kitty and saw the three bowls had things ranging from chicken shaped treats to wet cat food, to bits of cooked hamburger meat. All untouched.

She went to the cabinet where she knew Spike kept the things for the feline, and when she saw only cat food cans, she sighed and grabbed a stool. She knelt on it and moved the cans out of her way to see to the back... where a brand new container of kitten formula sat. She grabbed it and then went about mixing some up for the feline; her silence was statement enough for Rex.

Buffy mentally shrugged. At least he'd tried.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, finally breaking the quiet in the room as Buffy brought the full bowl over to Princess, who happily started lapping up the creamy liquid. "This is why I don't own a fucking pet."

Instead of a snarky comment, or scold of any sort, Buffy just hummed in verification that she had heard him. There was quiet again.

Then she realized that it was too quiet. Rex never fed the feline of the house, but no one else was around to do it which was why he must be stuck with the job. "Where is everyone?"

Rex looked like he resisted an urge to roll his eyes, agitation clear on his face as he said, "Dru called in with a lead. A vision sayin something about a witch being involved with this Gem crap, and then a location on where some of her lackeys were going to be tonight."

Immediately Buffy asked, "Where?"

Rex seemed a little surprised then, either at her urgent tone or at the question, she wasn't sure. "A demon bar, 'bout fifteen minutes drive from here." He released a sigh full of irritation. "I was left behind so you wouldn't meet with an empty house. Spike was adamant someone stay here, and under some screwed kind of luck, I was asleep when they left. Until the cat woke me up."

Buffy idly thought it admirable he hadn't strangled Princess for that, but didn't give another moment to the thought before asking, "Then how do you know where they went?"

"I called Ace's cell phone and asked."

Buffy's heart started to beat out of sequence; her head fogged. Spike was gone and might be fighting. She wasn't there. Rex wasn't either, which was one less person guarding his back.

An abrupt sense of something uncomfortably close to desperation ran straight through her. Her mood changed from blocked off to pinpointed. Buffy had to get to Spike. She wasn't entirely clear why, her brain was suddenly one tracked, and she needed to be sure he was okay. She needed to help him, protect him. He wasn't here to touch or see, he was gone, and wherever he was she needed to get there. She couldn't lose him, too

Buffy caught Rex's gaze, hers penetrating in a way that the thunderbird had never seen before . "Take me there."

He frowned, and didn't pretend not to understand her. "That isn't a good idea."

She grabbed his arm, her grip wasn't strong enough to hurt him, of course, but it was hard and demanding and he felt it. "Take me to him, Rex. If you won't then I'll find a way there on my own and call Ace until his phone breaks."

Rex scowled down at her. "I don't even have a car to get you there."

She frowned hard in response to that. Grams didn't have a car, and neither did Buffy; with MayBell being so small they didn't really need one.

But now it seemed Buffy seriously needed one.

None of the guys had brought cars with them when they'd arrived in town, but had taken cabs from the airport. While Rex...

"You can fly, right?" she asked abruptly.

It was strange and maybe a little funny to see Rex look wary. "Yes. Why?"

Buffy smiled. "Ever have a passenger before?"

***

She swore she was going to die.

Buffy was terrified out of her fucking mind and she was actually thinking that maybe this hadn't been the best idea, being held like a fragile egg in the talons of a giant bird and flying to her boyfriend's side, all out of a seriously desperate need she couldn't understand.

But she didn't regret it.

Even as the wind hit her face and the yellow moon looked closer than she had ever seen it, with the air cold and the feeling of concrete solid claws her only support in the midst of the sky, she would not have taken this choice back. She had to see Spike and be sure he was okay, and all the threatening and all the ordering she'd given Rex had been worth it, too.

It would be a crime to say that the thunderbird had agreed to this eccentric way of travel easily. No car, only an address and the hard and unrelenting worry fraying her nerves, it had been a risky and strange decision for sure, but it was her only option. Buffy had begged and fought and threatened tears to get Rex to agree.

A five minute flight wasn't long, but it felt anything but quick. She had a feeling he was going much, much slower than he could, being cautious while carrying her. Buffy was grateful.

And now she owed him several T-bones from Leonard's, and herself as a human shield once Spike went for his throat.

She'd told Rex she didn't think Spike would do that. Rex had scoffed.

Her eyes had bulged right out of her head when he'd changed. In his animal form he was taller than Spike's house, feathers and all, a sight to behold. Though a lot of people might've fainted right after doing so.

Not only didn't Buffy have that luxury, but she'd had to climb up into the clutches of the thunderbird, who, before actually seeing him in his full glory, she hadn't known she'd doubted.

She wasn't doubting now.

And Rex still wasn't happy with her. It was too bad, but not only couldn't she back out after seeing him change with an excuse of "Oh, sorry, I'm terrified of you," because her pride wouldn't allow it and it'd be rude, but it felt like Spike's absence was literally pulling her to him. If that made any sense.

She had to be sure he was okay. Buffy didn't quite know where this need had suddenly come from, considering Spike had gone out to "get information" several times before while she'd stayed home. But amidst the earlier frail numbness, her worry stood out like a spotlight, slowly melting every other concern in shadow.

She just needed to get to Spike.

The wind beat on the feathers around her, and as soft as it could be, a screech was released from the creature's throat to reverberate around them. Buffy flinched and clutched at the thick leg she'd been holding on to for the ride, but still managed to understand that Rex must be warning her they were about to land.

In pure confirmation, the thunderbird descended, his
heavy wings beating the air with almost gallant strikes. He aimed carefully for a spot to touchdown, and as they got closer and closer to the ground, Buffy's eyes closed more and more until she was finally blind to the things around her.

She felt the shake of his leg, and she looked up and then down, realizing belatedly he would have to drop her before landing himself. Buffy gulped, and grabbed his leg tighter before loosening her death grip as the ground came ever closer. She knew this was going to be a tricky drop, and an even trickier feat for him.

Rex got her fifty feet from the ground, then twenty... fifteen... ten...

Release.

She didn't scream but let out something more like a yelp, though it wasn't all that loud. She hit the soft dirt on all fours and made an "mmph" sound, then breathed out an almost gasping exhalation of breath.

She was alive. Now she just had to make sure Spike was, too. Rex was still in flight, and she couldn't see any buildings nearby, so she assumed he must have parked here because the demon bar was within walking distance. She saw him slowly descending once again, and this time he let his big talons hit the ground and scar it, pulling in his wings and halting with the grace of a creature born to flight.

He changed immediately, and Buffy turned around without delay. She dug into her bag and retrieved his clothes, tossing them behind her; first pants, then shirt, shoes, and socks.

"I really wish there was a way you could keep your clothes on when you're flying," she said awkwardly, her face flushing. She felt very out of place. "How exactly did you land at Spike's without any clothes on? Did you just walk naked to his front door?" She could only imagine the jibes received from an entrance like THAT.

"There's a spell I use, it's simple and effective. But it takes longer than you were willing to wait, so no, I didn't wind up at Spike's with my ass hanging out. I had fucking time to fix that glitch."

Buffy swallowed and turned back around when she heard the angry yank of a zipper. "Well thank you for flying me here." She frowned as he tossed on his shoes and socks. Looking around she asked, "Where are we?"

He grunted something and stood straight, pointing in the direction of dark forest. "Bar's that way, I can hear it from here. And I saw it when we were in flight."

"I didn't."

He started walking in the direction he'd pointed. "Maybe because your eyes were sealed shut for most of the ride."

Buffy bit her lip then followed, not bothering to deny it. Though she still didn't know how he could have possibly noticed.

Fifteen minutes passed while they walked in the dark. Buffy's eyes had adjusted enough to see Rex directly in front of her, but that was all the directional help she had. Stumbling over uneven ground and rocks became normal enough that she no longer noticed it. What she did notice was the strain wearing on her nerves.

Every time she asked if they were close, Rex would respond in the same way: "We're getting there."

Well duh! They had to be "getting there" even at this snail-like rate.

Buffy sighed. Okay, so she was getting more and more worried about Spike the longer it took to get to him, but this was better than waiting like a bump on a log back at home.

Maybe the anxious need she had to reassure herself that he was okay was intuition, maybe it was just nerves, or maybe it was the stress and grief trying to lay themselves on her shoulders as of recently. Buffy wasn't sure, but she did know that until she saw Spike, nothing would feel right tonight.

Then she saw him, and her heart split into a reckless, broken beat.

His face was morphed and his fists were pounding into the body of a man wielding an axe. Buffy's breath caught as Spike shoved his opponent to the ground and whipped up the axe, severing the man's head.

The man turned to dust, and Rex suddenly pulled her to the side and behind him, and then Buffy saw the whole picture before her.

She had zeroed in on Spike the second she and Rex had reached the clearing that served as a parking lot for the demon bar, which still sounded with music and the noise of customers.

Fifteen of whom were currently in a battle out front of the place.

Spike, Ace, Dylan, Stevo, and Blake were up against what looked like ten opponents, and action was everywhere.

"Stay back!"

She heard Rex vaguely beneath the drumming in her ears. It wasn't her heeding his order which kept her silent and behind him, but the shock she felt in her bones. Dylan was green and spiky, and he was landing punch after punch to a man-

Wrong. They were all vampires.

She heard Spike growl and watched him speed to where Ace had three coming for his throat with axes and a small dagger. Buffy knew that both Ace and Blake were immortal, but enough wounds and they could die the same as any human- Especially due to blood loss for Blake.

She flinched and bit her lip to stop a gasp when Rex broke off a branch from a nearby tree, and quickly plunged it into the chest of a vampire who'd run past, evidently headed toward where Stevo already had two others to deal with. Buffy swallowed hard and told herself to stay calm.

She'd wanted to see if Spike was okay. Well, she'd gotten her wish, and he was decidedly NOT okay.

Oh sure, her vampire was beating the crap out of the enemies around him, turning many to dust with lethal efficiency, but he seemed to not want all of the vampires dead. The guys and him were outnumbered. Buffy wasn't sure if it helped that she'd come here with Rex, because although he was one more warrior for the battle, he was also stuck guarding her.

She just hoped Spike didn't notice her and lose focus. Not until after his enemies were dust in the wind.

Buffy looked to where she heard a yowl, and quickly witnessed Ace and Blake dispose of two more vamps. Then Dylan had beheaded another. Stevo two more.

There were four left. Spike took on one and Ace and Blake headed after another that bolted for the cover of the forest. Dylan and Stevo were already fighting with their own two opponents. The battle looked to be over.

Then suddenly, Rex spotted five vampires running in their direction, and hauled her behind him yet again.

"Keep the hell down!"

Buffy saw the five split up- Two headed towards her and Rex. She looked around her and saw a thick leafless branch on the ground, and picked it up then held it at the ready. Of course, she didn't exactly know what the ready was, only to aim for a heart.

She didn't know how hard it might be to plunge a pointy stick into a dead monster's chest either, but she was willing to try.

"There might be more," Rex said as he quickly dusted the two vampires who had been headed for them, and looked back, "Grab something sharp and wooden right now- Oh." He took note of the branch in her shaking hand. "Good. If something happened to you Spike would- Motherfucker!"

The exclamation was enough to alert Buffy to the sudden presence of yet ten more vampires. It seemed the one that had run from Ace and Blake had gone to alert some friends of his to the trouble.

Buffy gulped when Rex got about ten feet from where she stood, and suddenly, she hated a few things with bright fury. Herself, for getting into this mess. Spike, for not teaching her anything about fighting when she knew how much he enjoyed it. And ALL six of the irritating men she had come to care about, for dropping into a fight like this without so much as gathering weapons. The only ones she noticed were those of fallen vamps. Her supernatural idiots were all lucky they hadn't gotten killed with those before they could steal them!

Rex was in front of her again, and Stevo and Ace had finally noticed his presence. Then they noticed her presence.

Equal looks of shock ran over their faces, but changed quickly to surprise as some vampires got the jump on them because of their distraction. Buffy winced. Then Dylan saw her, and his red eyes bulged. He staked two vampires in a blur and ran to her and Rex, punching and staking another vampire on the way.

When he reached them his eyes were angry. Buffy had never seen Dylan angry before. It was startling. "What are you doing here-" he addressed Rex, "What the hell is SHE doing here?!"

The thunderbird ignored the question, and irritably remarked, "You think maybe you guys could've come more prepared for this shit?!" He waved his hand at the chaos before them.

"There's always the threat of a fight, of course we came prepared! But the weapons are in the car and we didn't know there'd be this many." Dylan looked behind him, cursing softly as several more vamps appeared as if out of thin air. "Why did you bring Buffy here?!"

"I wouldn't have brought her if I'd known it was going to be like this!"

"You shouldn't have brought her anyway!"

"You try arguing with her!"

Buffy sighed loudly. "I'm right here!" she shouted, tired of being talked about like she wasn't standing a foot away from the morons. "I made Rex fly me here, Dylan! I had to see if Spike-" She turned in time to see a vamp about to lunge from Rex's left, and pointed with a warning shout.

Rex quickly staked and dusted, then said to Dylan, "I'll watch her, just get back out there!"

Dylan did, with a grumble and another curse. Buffy sighed. The vampires finally seemed to be dwindling. Three went to run for it but Stevo caught two and Blake lit another one's coat on fire with a lighter. Buffy figured he must've been soaked with alcohol or something because he went up in less than five seconds and down in ten.

Rex ran forward only three feet to catch a female vampire off guard and stake her, then he was back in front of Buffy as her shield. She felt like both a burden and an idiot. The only useful thing she'd done in showing up here was supplying Rex, and he was only so much help while standing in one corner. Spike and Blake hadn't noticed their presence yet- Wait, Blake just did. Buffy was only thankful that her boyfriend hadn't-

Oh no.

No, no, no.

She didn't have a thought of hesitation. She didn't have a thought. And fortunately enough, Rex moved forward another couple of feet to fight with a knife wielding opponent, so Buffy had an opportunity to run.

The others were all busy. They didn't see. And Spike already had two vamps in front of him, and though he seemed to be reveling in the fight, there was a third at his back. It was sneaking up in slow, creeping movements. Almost invisible against the trees. All Buffy could see was a crouched over form and a sharp pointy thing in its right hand.

She ran lightly and fast, not knowing if she would succeed but needing to try. That vampire had Spike's name on his death list All it took on a battlefield like this was one unlucky moment and anyone could be killed in a blink.

Buffy didn't plan on letting that happen to Spike.

Of course, she didn't plan at all, just ran. Idly she remembered a saying she'd learned in the past: Act, don't react.

Well, she was acting alright. Hopefully the odds would be in Spike's favor, and that would be enough.

The least she could do, she realized as she got within five feet of the enemy, was cause distraction. Spike should have time to notice the situation then. She had her makeshift stake and she had her fear, but she lunged with all of her weight and managed to knock the vampire to the ground.

She'd hit him in the back and he'd toppled. She realized that his leg was wounded, and thanked whoever was listening for small miracles. The thing started growling, and she grunted and squeezed around his neck as hard as she could. Even knowing that vampires didn't need air, Buffy hoped it would at least cause some serious discomfort.

It didn't. The vampire flipped her on her back and almost knocked the wind out of her with the force of it. She gasped and the creature looked down at her in surprise. Then it sneered in a way that made her skin crawl. Instinctively Buffy kneed and kicked, landing by pure luck a good shot to his groin. The vampire growled again and stuck his hand around her throat. Evidently, they weren't as sensitive as human men down there.

Buffy flexed her fingers. No makeshift stake. She used a hand to claw fiercely at the larger one around her throat, her nails digging and scraping flesh. The vampire's breath stunk; she cringed but still breathed as little as she could. Then all air passage stopped. She clawed harder and desperately groped for her branch.

She kicked and wriggled, feeling the dig of
something into her thigh- Her stake! She grappled for it as darkness started to impend on her vision, from the outside in. She wrapped her fingers around the wood and swung up, making sharp contact with the vampire's stomach. Then, not thinking, not aiming, Buffy pulled her weapon from the shallow wound she'd caused and swung directly above herself.

She inhaled dust a moment later, when the grip around her throat disappeared. She coughed and wheezed unattractively, then tried to sit up. Only clear air met her lungs but she exhaled painfully. She was thankful for the ability to breathe even if the effort did hurt a little. The atmosphere was much more quiet than it had been with the blood rushing in her ears, and if she thought on it long enough, she'd notice the lack of fists pummeling flesh.

Buffy inhaled deeply again, swallowing painfully, then got to her feet.

She didn't make it that far. Spike swept her off her balance, and into the strength of his arms. Her shoulders in his grip and her legs limp, he supported her. Breast to chest.

Amber really shouldn't be so startling a color, but Buffy's heart started to beat fitfully as if she were choking again when she saw his eyes.

His lip was bleeding and there was a scratch on his neck, but she didn't see any major damage. She knew that there had to be more beneath the clothes, and was both loathe to look and was trying to refrain from demanding to see. She wanted to check for serious bleeding and know if those bruised ribs were hurt once again.

His T-shirt seemed dry, though, and there was no telltale drip of burgundy running down his body. He looked just fine asides from being a little out of breath and utterly pissed off.

It didn't take longer than a second for him to rail on her.

"Are you alright?!" His hands gripped her face as he stared at her with acute examination. Okay, not exactly railing, but Buffy suspected it would come soon enough. She nodded and went to speak, only to come out raspy and near silent. She cringed. Damn her throat hurt.

Spike's eyes stormed with something murderous when he looked at her neck. In direct contrast to his mood, he touched her very softly and seemed to trace something. His jaw worked. "He was choking you."

Buffy opened her mouth to speak, only to wince again and then nod instead. Spike's nostrils flared. He took one of her hands, gripped it tightly and linked their fingers, then pressed his forehead to hers. She wasn't quite sure whether he was just trying to be closer or if he was trying to control his anger. Maybe both. He seemed like he wanted to hold her forever but at the same time his words came out harsh, "Why the bloody hell are you here?"

She opened her mouth yet again, then snapped it shut. Well this was irritating. She scowled and poked him in the chest, hard. Then again, focusing on the area where his heart was. She tried to convey that she had been worried about him with facial expression. Her eyes widened and her mouth softened in fret.

Spike seemed to get it, and she noticed him grind his teeth. "Rex was s'posed to tell you-" He cut himself off, sudden anger flashing again in those bright eyes. "He brought you here- No wait. You TOLD him to bring you here, didn't you." It wasn't a question.

Buffy nodded.

Spike was going to break his friend's jaw.
His own threatened to lock up permanently. He sucked in a breath and counted to three, then let it out in a huff.

Nope. He was still stretched to his limit, and panic had yet to die out.

He could vividly remember the moment when he'd realized Buffy was close by. One vampire down and another in front of him, the bastard too tired to keep going for long, Spike had paused when he sensed her. Heard her gasp, a grunt. His eyes found her with a vampire sitting astride her body and fangs barred, a look of hunger on the demon's face. Spike received a kick to the jaw for being distracted. His fight had renewed with his opponent, while his girlfriend dealt with her own.

Desperation couldn't even be the word for what had run through him. He'd disposed of the vamp he was fighting in mere seconds and was less than one from turning in Buffy's direction when he was pounced on from the right. Again, a fight had begun, and while he swung fists and tried to throw his attacker away from him, the bastard wouldn't let up. He was huge and strong and while Spike had won in the end, the fight had been enough to delay him and fry his nerves.

He was at a dead run before the dust even cleared. And he saw his girl stake her first vamp and cough away ash particles. When she stood up all he wanted to do was grab Buffy, go home, and personally make sure she was alright.

Then he'd discovered her voiceless and yes, her throat was bruising. He knew of a little magick salve Stevo could mix up for her to help it heal and a tea that would soothe the inside, but Spike wasn't in the least relieved. A vampire had almost strangled her to death. If he didn't, then she would've been either captured and used as a human bloodbag for a while, or simply drained dry while lying half-conscious. There were other, worse scenarios that the bastard could've had in mind, but Spike refused to think about them.

Thank God she was a tough little thing. She'd staked the vamp singlehandedly, and though Spike wasn't calm enough at the moment to truly take note of it, he was proud underneath all the worry and fear. All the anger.

The silly chit had made Rex bring her here because she was worried about him. True, the fight had turned out to be much bigger than expected, but even so, they would've been fine. Thirty or so vamps was a challenge but it was conquered by ways of experience and teamwork. Buffy hadn't known that.

Spike sighed, clenching his fingers in her hair and pulling her body closer. "Once we get something soothin down that throat f'yours, I'm going to kill you."

Her eyes widened indignantly. She glared and opened her mouth to hoarsely, and obviously with pain, say, "I was worried about you-!"

"And you almost got yerself killed," he growled, "I've handled worse than the witless lot we got tonight." He rubbed his thumb over her neck. "Dealin with sods comin for my throat is what I do. But not you. Now you've got bruises to prove it."

Her temper rose. Even with her voice nearly gone and every word laced with agony as she spoke, Buffy still said, "The one *I* staked was coming for your back. Did you even see him?"

Spike remembered vaguely catching something out of the corner of his eye, then being distracted by the two vampires in front of him. He probably hadn't been very aware of the one behind him, but chances were he would've been before the bastard had the opportunity to plunge a stake through his chest.

At least now he knew why Buffy had thrown herself into the fray. It was for him. He'd almost gotten her killed.

Christ, he was going to throttle her when they got home.

Spike swallowed hard and looked at her neck again. Maybe "throttle" was the wrong word choice.

His voice was strained when he answered her last question. "I would've caught him 'fore he could do anythin."

"You don't know that!" she rasped.

"But I do know that you were nearly killed!" he raged, his control slipping. His eyes burned into her with the heat of two hot coals and he couldn't have retracted his game face if he'd tried. "I'm already damned, probly a hundred times over. An I'll be thrown at the foot of the soddin pearly gates 'fore I let you hurt yourself!"

Buffy swallowed hard and grit her teeth, ignoring the tight rawness of her throat. She couldn't fight anymore with her vocals, but she would say one more thing and he would hear her. She stepped closer and raised her chin high. "Too 'soddin' bad, Spike, because that's not your choice."

His eyes filled with angry refusal, his jaw hardened and his body tensed. "You're not gonna get hurt because f'me."

She heard the adamant denial in his words, sensed the barely discernible ache of fear in his voice, and walked away with lasting resolve in her eye. She felt bad for that, hurt by his own worries, but she wasn't going to promise him to always be protected and never protect. It wasn't in her. It wasn't how she could possibly act concerning those she cared about and loved.

She had not before been excessively scared every time Spike went out to fight other demons, or threaten someone who could be dangerous, but now she was much more wary. He was a good fighter, almost graceful while still deadly, and she knew she couldn't be there every time he fought. But Buffy wouldn't hide behind the weakness of being human, and she wouldn't apologize for what she'd done tonight.

Her fear for Spike had never been so high. It had been random, to suddenly NEED to be sure he was alright even though she knew the guys were with him, but Buffy was still glad she'd followed that need. Even if her throat was sore.

____________________
END NOTES: Thanks for reading and reviewing guys! Please continue to do so! *major hugs!*
Chapter 28: Hot Blooded by Linnae13
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I know I'm late, and I'm very very sorry! It's been busy lately, and RL took up time. And, for some reason inspiration decided to leave me for a while and I just wasn't able to think. But I hope this chapter makes up for the delay! Please review and thanks for reading! *huggles*
_______________________________

Rex was getting a tongue lashing. It really wasn't fair, considering Buffy had practically forced him to help her out tonight. Rex had no compunction telling Stevo that himself, but it didn't do anything but raise the gypsy's temper, and his voice. Buffy was stuck in the back of Spike's car between Dylan, Blake, and a half asleep Ace, listening to two men argue with each other about the choice she had made tonight.

Spike wasn't driving back with them, but that was another issue.

Right now, Buffy was just trying to fight off a headache and ignore the aching in her throat. It wasn't that bad, she could talk if she really needed to, but it was sore and every intake of breath was a little hard to take. With Stevo screaming in the front seat, and Rex roaring right back, it wasn't the most comfortable car ride.

Dylan seemed angry, too, and she felt guilty enough for all the uproar she'd caused tonight. Of course, they weren't angry with HER so very much... but that just made her feel worse.

"You should have refused," Stevo was saying again, his tone low and controlled for once, but sounding as if he might be one wrong word from exploding again. It was strange to witness Stevo being anything but calm and collected. Yet he was, because she'd endangered herself.

"I did!" Rex yelled once more, starting to sound very much like an angry broken record.

"Yet there she was tonight, with you at her side and vampires abounds." Stevo spun the car on a fierce turn, and his fingers threatened to break the steering wheel as tires screeched.

Blake thudded into the side door and shouted. "Jesus, are you trying to tip the car over?!"

Stevo said nothing, and the original argument continued.

"She's fine! And I wouldn't have taken her if she hadn't-"

"What? Begged you? Threatened to cry and scream? I've never known you to be a pushover with anyone, Rex, and yet you allowed her to guilt you into bringing her into a battle tonight!"

Rex ran his hands through his hair in frustration before yelling again. "She wanted to see Spike!"

"You put her life in danger simply because you couldn't say no to her, do you realize that?!"

Another violent turn and the accelerating of the car kept Rex from responding for only a second, then he said, "I didn't mean to!"

"That doesn't matter, it's too late now!"

"You act like I put those bruises on her throat!"

"You may as well have!"

At the thunderous look in Rex's yellow eyes, Buffy couldn't take it anymore. Stevo and him were two seconds away from a physical fight, and she was tired. Her neck injury had been caused by her own decisions- NOT anyone else's. All of this was her fault.

Against her better judgment, Buffy managed an interruptive screech to stop the men from arguing. She didn't say words, just yelled painfully, and it caught everyone's attention in the car. She finally had a moment to get her message across. "Stop it! I'm fine!" she said, and grimaced internally at the sound of her voice which challenged her own statement. "I know I shouldn't have dragged Rex into helping me tonight, and I'm sorry I caused so much trouble. But you guys have to stop this."

Stevo glanced at her over his shoulder with concern and anger. It hurt to see that in his eyes, but she was too upset to focus on it for any longer than a moment, then he said, "Stop talking, your throat is damaged enough."

He hadn't yelled at her like he did Rex, and Buffy wasn't sure if that made her feel comforted or ignored. She defied him anyway. "I know. And I'M the one who screwed it up! But I don't regret making Rex fly me out tonight so-"

Ace put his hand on her shoulder. "Enough Buffy-"

She went on without pausing. "-please stop arguing about it!"

Stevo glanced back at her with a look that was filled with both rage and contrition; how he managed it, she didn't know. "He should've refused you," he ground out.

Rex slammed his hand on the dashboard. "You fucking try it!"

Blake decided then to add in his voice. "She's got you wrapped around her little finger almost as tightly as Spike is."

Dylan scoffed and said under his breath, "Like you're not."

"What was that?" Blake asked sharply.

Ace groaned when Stevo made yet another sharp turn. "That was on my shoulder, Stev! Slow down!"

Buffy put her hand to her head, starting to feel as if she might hyperventilate when Stevo replied in anger to Ace's demand. Then Rex shot back into the fight and soon everyone was yelling. She ground her teeth together and would've screeched once again if her throat wasn't burning from the last time. Instead, she prayed for patience-

"I swear to the fucking Gods, if you say that one more time-"

"Don't threaten me, Rex. You've already got one fight on your hands when Spike meets us back at the house."

"And you won't do anything to interfere, of course."

Stevo glared with bright eyes at his friend. "Buffy was foolish in her plans tonight, and you helped them come to fruition! So when Spike rightfully tries to tear you apart-"

It was the last straw. Buffy leaned over Ace's and Dylan's bodies and grabbed the door handle, quickly gaining an exit to the speeding vehicle. Ace flung himself in the opposite direction and Buffy waited for the DeSoto to slow to a hasty stop. When it did, she was fast and out the door while the guys shouted behind her. Was she crazy, was she out of her mind? What the HELL was she doing?

Buffy ignored them. And she thanked her good luck that they'd made it back to MayBell and were close to Spike's place. She knew her way from here and she'd go on foot, she couldn't deal with their shouting any longer.

She hadn't even made it fifteen feet from the car before Ace had taken her arm and the voices of the others behind her registered. She pulled herself free and glared at him, refusing to hurt her throat any more than it already was. Stevo and Dylan were next to appear before her, and she heard Blake and Rex at her back. Buffy felt surrounded.

"What the hell were you trying to do, kill yourself?!" Stevo bellowed.

Ace rubbed his sore shoulder and cast a look of distaste at the gypsy. "She wouldn't have been risking much if you weren't speeding like an asshole!"

Stevo said nothing, but his silence was somehow harsh. Ace turned back to Buffy again. "What the hell were you thinking?"

It wasn't a shout, but it didn't help her temper at all. Buffy spun and began to walk away. She had to push past Rex and Blake. Once she was separated, she heard behind her: "I think she's upset."

Well, leave it to Dylan to be the one to notice these obvious things. Buffy kept walking. Rex and Stevo met up with her and stayed at her sides.

"What's wrong?" the gypsy asked in a disgruntled voice.

Rex rolled his eyes but kept quiet; so did Buffy.

Blake approached, and she heard the car roll up in the background. Ace and Dylan were driving it behind the four of them. She huffed angrily but didn't speak. She wanted to be alone before she couldn't prevent herself from screaming again, but no one seemed to be getting the hint.

Then Blake eyed her cautiously, and said, "She's ready to kill us, guys, maybe we should just back off-"

"Why are YOU so mad?!" Stevo asked belligerently.

The exclamation, the disbelief, the small overhang of righteousness in his voice had Buffy losing every bit of control. She turned on him. "Lay OFF!"

Her throat positively burned with that one, but the utter shock at her fury and the look in her eyes that bordered on tears had each man halting. She stood and stared at them all for a moment, then strode away again.

She didn't protest when they slowly retreated and went back to the car, piling into the backseat. And she didn't care that they stayed behind her as she walked quickly back to Spike's place.

Her arms crossed, her bag hitting her backside with each angry step, Buffy tried her hardest to pull in every emotion. She didn't want to cry. She didn't want to fight. And more than anything, she didn't want anyone else to continue fighting. She'd caused enough drama for one day, and yes she'd been hurt, but she couldn't say sorry again. She could never say sorry for doing what she had.

She'd followed her heart and her nerves, which was both risky and some would say foolish, but she hadn't wanted to hurt anybody or make anyone angry. It hadn't been her intention to cause all this arguing, it hadn't been her intention to get strangled or scare her friends and her boyfriend; but she had and she couldn't reconcile anything.

She was upset, she was mad that they were mad, she was ready to slap each of them silly... Nothing was of the good right now.

Buffy sighed loudly into the night, looking up at the bright moon and the starry sky. It was a beautiful evening. Why was it always so perfect outside when something bad was happening? Never storm clouds or overcast, always a clear sky on the days when you just wanted to crawl into bed and forget everything.

She glanced at the shoulder strap of her bag that pressed across her chest, and decided against the idea to listen to music. If she did, she'd tune out the world and nothing would get resolved.

They were almost back at Spike's, and if he was there, then she'd have to prepare.

But he probably wasn't.

He'd decided to walk home from the bar, against all warnings and urgings from his friends to get in the car. He'd tossed his keys to Stevo and said, "Drive," then walked away. Buffy had let him, their recent fight was still fresh on both their nerves. Trying to get him to ride in a confined space with her for any length of time wasn't a good idea right now.

She was a little concerned that he was alone, but she knew he could take care of himself. Buffy's worries were bedraggled and worn from the events of the night. She was too tired to be frightened for him, especially after watching him in fight.

It was a strange combination, this nervousness yet confidence she had in Spike's abilities to watch his own back. She was scared of him being beaten, scared of the risks fighting brought, but she also wasn't because she had seen his talent for it. Spike thrived under assault- Literally. He jumped and moved as fast as a cat, and struck at his opponents with lethal brutality.

If Buffy wasn't so upset and her emotions weren't running at an all time high at that moment, she'd have reflected on the fact she didn't think Spike looked half bad when he was all fangy and deadly. Rather, watching him battle was...

She shivered.

***

The kitchen light had been on. The back door had been unlocked, and she'd felt him the second she'd walked through it.

Buffy realized Spike was home safe and sound sooner than the knowledge had reached her notice. She'd still walked inside, straight to the cabinet where the glasses were.

Her throat was parched and sore, and water sounded like heaven right that instant. But when she'd filled her glass and sipped some down, slowly and with minor caution, Spike appeared in the doorway and she'd choked. Coughing, wincing, Buffy set the glass down and waved off his concern. She still wasn't happy with him at the moment, and she knew he wasn't happy with her.

Actually, anyone could tell he wasn't happy with her. His lips were pursed, his jaw tight and his shoulders looked like you might be able to use him as an ironing table, but he'd still asked her if she was alright when she'd started coughing.

Buffy got herself under control, and was just in time to noticed her vampire's hard stare locked on the backdoor. Not two seconds later, the others piled in. They were talking in what they must've assumed were hushed tones, because harsh whispers usually meant so with this group, even if you could understand everything they were saying from two rooms away.

Rex was the second in line, cut off from Stevo and behind Blake. Before Buffy could blink, Spike had leapt forward and grabbed him.

Damn it! And she was supposed to be a shield!

Blake and Ace were pulling at Spike's arms even as Buffy ran forward to place herself between her boyfriend and Rex. The former was groaning on the ground- Or maybe he was swearing and groaning. Either way, he was just starting to rise when surprisingly, Stevo stepped forward to help restrain Spike.

Buffy's boyfriend fought against the holds of his friends as if they were his enemies, and the growling, feral look on his face directed at Rex made Buffy feel guilty all over again.

*No! Stop that! You're not supposed to feel bad about what you did tonight. All you can do now is make sure Spike doesn't kill his friend.*

Buffy scowled and realized she'd have to do some more talking. Lovely.

Even with a stressed throat, she somehow managed to speak firmly to Spike, her tone implacable. She ordered him to calm down, because all he was doing was acting like an angry child (yes, she'd actually used that comparison). He barely stopped struggling, though, and Ace looked at Buffy with eyes that said, "I'm ready to knock him over the head if he doesn't stop."

She bit back a groan, and then sighed when she felt Rex directly behind her. Indeed a shield.

"Spike," she stepped closer to him, catching his eyes with hers and lowering her raspy voice. "Enough! You're not going to hurt Rex, got it? He didn't do anything wrong."

Stevo stiffened, and it was super hard to tell because he was helping control a furious vampire at the moment, but Buffy knew he disagreed with her statement. She ignored him. Staring into Spike's angry eyes again, she explained, "I told him to help me. And he did. And if he hadn't, you guys wouldn't have had him at that battle-" He growled lowly. "And you NEEDED him," she stressed, "You know you did. Now please, stop acting like you're going to hurt him. We both know you're not."

His jaw clenched, and she saw he was at least trying this time. But his anger was still too high. Buffy swallowed again. "Please," she asked.

As if by slow working magick, Spike ceased his struggles in a glide, one minute thrashing against others' arms, the next breathing hard but stilling every movement.

Buffy suddenly realized, like ice cracking in warm water, that part of the reason for him not riding home in the car was because he'd probably been trying to lessen his anger; not just because he couldn't stand to be near her.

It was an unexpected balm. And if Spike had managed to calm down at all, she only assumed that Rex might have been in a coma right now had he not gotten the solitude

Could thunderbirds be put into comas?

Buffy shook her head. That wasn't important.

And it didn't matter that Spike was upset because Rex had helped to endanger her, in his mind. She wouldn't let him hurt his friend.

Said friend decided at that moment to speak up. "I'm sorry," he ground out, his prideful toughness taking a backseat for once. With the apology, tension seemed to evaporate like steam. Stevo relaxed, and Buffy noticed his bronze-brown eyes softening in the way she hadn't witnessed since before the battle tonight. And Spike, though still stiff and threatening, took a deep breath that sounded resigned.

It didn't seem to matter, she noticed, that Rex had already apologized in the car a few times during all the arguing. But now he'd said it to Spike, and some sort of invisible handshake had taken place with the power to still an ocean current.

Her vampire was released, and Buffy sighed gratefully when he didn't lunge for anyone. Noting the silence, and the look in his eyes that still spoke of danger, she decided to take one for the team.
"I'm sorry, too," she just about mumbled. But everyone heard, and their surprised expressions made her quickly amend, "That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again!"

Blake rose an eyebrow. "Did anyone ever teach you the meaning of 'I'm sorry?'"

Buffy absolutely refused to feel the pink rising to her cheeks. It wasn't there. "I'm sorry that I scared everyone and almost got," she swallowed painfully, "killed. And for making you all so angry with Rex." She waved to the man behind her. "But not for getting there anyway that I could."

Ace and Dylan sighed deeply, obviously tired, accepting her statement. The others all sort of gave curt nods, Stevo's obviously begrudging- except for Spike. He looked like- Well, truthfully she'd never seen that look on him before.

It gave her chills, but she didn't let herself shake at all. Her skin suddenly felt acutely sensitive, actually, as if she could feel his eyes raking over every inch of her body when all he was looking at was her face.

The others around her started to move, to do things like prepare coffee and open up the fridge, use the microwave; she was stilled as if stuck in tar. Her breathing became faster than it should be. Her heart rate picked up... God, why was she suddenly so hot?

She swallowed again, and then a voice pervaded the drumming silence. "Buffy?!"

She blinked, breaking eye contact with Spike. "Huh?"

Ace held up a little packet of what looked like dried basil, but she was sure it wasn't when he said, "I asked if you wanted some tea for your throat?"

She frowned, then nodded when her brain caught up with the simple inquiry. "Please." When she looked back at Spike he was still staring. It was a hungry look, one of unused energy and heat she was uncertain of. He could be ready to scream at her or kiss her. Either way, he looked like he wanted to devour her.

Spike approached and took her hand. His grip was gentle but firm; she couldn't escape if she wanted to.

He tugged her from the room, only stopping to address Ace and command, "Bring the tea upstairs and leave it in front of my door. Knock."

The slight emphasis on that last word had Buffy's thoughts scattering. She knew exactly now what the curious tension she felt was, and why Spike had stirred it up. She also knew that Ace would not be opening that door.

She pretended not to see the slight smirk on Blake's face as they passed him, quickly racing up the stairs to reach Spike's bedroom only a moment later. Buffy walked in ahead of him when he opened the door. Quickly, she backed toward the wall, eyeing her boyfriend like a wild animal might eye a new possible threat.

She felt rather trapped when he shut the door and looked at her with a stare so wild it would have fit better on a howling beast. The rest of him was controlled to the point where it seemed he might snap in half, but his eyes... they were full of fire.

Buffy swallowed convulsively, idly scolding herself for feeling jittery. She was decidedly cornered. But she'd felt cornered before in her life, and it had never been this welcome a sensation.

Spike tilted his head, and she thought his eyes zeroed in on her... neck? Oh God.

Truth be told, he actually was focusing on her jugular. Blatantly. The throbbing, nearly invisible pulse point was making his mouth water and his gums itch, and the rest of her... Oh that was lovely, too.

It had been a long night. One long, torturous night. He'd spent his solitude walking home trying to control his temper and get a handle on the emotions running through him. Worrying about the threat Buffy made to herself now, out of bravery and rash decision making, had him anything but calm. Not to mention, Spike had wanted to kill Rex, and it had been damn hard to convince himself of doing otherwise... He didn't exactly succeed, of course.

The demon inside him was still calling for blood. The vampire's, who had dared to wrap his hands around Buffy's throat. Rex's- though not as strongly as once before -for agreeing to the girl's insane ideas of earlier. And Buffy, for said ideas.

He was angry, he was scared, he hadn't gotten home five minutes before she'd arrived back with the others, and Spike hadn't yet been able to really calm himself down. Inside he was still anxious, and he was never anxious; it was a strange feeling mixed in with a demanding, blood pulsing heat. He wanted to feel Buffy's skin beneath his fingers more than he wanted to feel a happy pulse die out beneath his fangs. He wanted to hold her close, feel her heartbeat against his chest and let it deafen him to everything else.

His skin felt on fire just looking at her, and Spike had already realized, decided, that he would have her. Tonight.

No more waiting, no more drugged, strenuously teasing kisses that gave a silent limit and tortured him as well as they pleased. Tonight a tension had invaded his senses, and he would make sure it invaded hers as well.

"Spike?" she questioned, her voice almost quivery in its weakness. He allowed a dangerous smirk to come over his features, excitement lancing when he heard her heartbeat speed.

He approached her and slipped off his duster on the way, dropping it unerringly onto the bed. She opened her mouth to talk again, and he knew it was against her better judgment because she winced just before parting those soft pink lips.

Spike shushed her, and smiled slightly at the small but unmistakable flare in her eyes that spoke of the willfulness he loved. "Your throat," he explained, "I won't have you hurtin yerself anymore t'night."

She opened her mouth again and he sealed off the expected protest quickly with a kiss. Stunned, then pliant in his arms, Spike removed Buffy's sweater as his tongue slid between her lips. At her whimper, he ran his hands up her arms and around her shoulders, holding her tightly and close as he backed them into the bathroom.

Inside, he kicked the door closed and pressed her against it. His hands were gentle yet controlled, his instincts screaming while he held himself as tightly drawn as an crossbow. He wanted to consume her, she needed him to do so slowly. Hot palms ran themselves over his neck in greed, nails tracing down his shirt front and brushing his nipples accidentally through the cotton.

A small growl threatened to well up in his throat when she did it again, and then a third time seemingly on purpose. He pulled back from her mouth only to go to her throat, nipping incessantly with blunt teeth. Again, his gums itched. And her contented sigh as Buffy pressed herself nearer, intimately straining to meet him, sent Spike's head spinning.

She wasn't talking, he wouldn't permit it even if she wanted to with her throat as it was, but it was hard to keep his own lips shut as she pressed closer and closer to him until they were both writhing against each other, threatening to splinter the wood of the door.

He pushed one hand beneath the hem of her top and felt soft skin, hot to the touch, goose bumps rising at the tickle of his fingers. His breath felt heavy, and he loved the shiver that ran across her skin as he whispered in her ear. He told her the things he wanted to do to her, the things he was going to do. He said things that heated her skin beneath his hand as he reached her chest and touched her in new acquaintance.

For one brief moment he realized this was as bare as she'd ever been in front of him. Greedy for more, he slowly ran one hand around to the back of her torso and found her bra clip. He hesitated a moment to see if she would, then undid the clasp. He had the thing off before Buffy could draw another ragged breath.

He pulled back from her red and bruised throat only to lean back in and kiss her delicately once over a dark finger mark. His demon seethed beneath the surface, but Spike held his anger in check, if only by sheer luck and chancy control.

When her back arched Spike could feel soft little points against his chest through fabric that was quickly becoming too heavy. He caught the sight of her nipples, hard yet supple, pressing insistently against the thin white tank top. Pink rose offered to play peek-a-boo with him if he so much as brushed their enclosure aside, so much as touched. He did more.

A shrill gasp left her lungs when Spike's cool wet tongue circled around the tips of her breasts, soaking fabric without heed and plucking her nipples with his teeth. His fingers dug into her back, forcing her closer until her spine bent like a violin bow. He didn't think she noticed- or at least cared -that she was grinding her hips into his, futilely trying to receive friction of a sort.

Buffy ran her hands through his hair. This sent little flickers of pleasure over his skin, starting from where her fingers raked all the way down to the already stiffening dilemma between his thighs. Spike growled, and pulled his mouth away from her breasts, ignoring the protest that died fast on her tongue when he met it with his.

He felt her fingers move to his T-shirt, tugging up as her breathing quickened beneath messy kisses. Spike divested himself of the black cotton and had to keep to a standstill the moment her fingers touched him. It was like scorching flame, and he was a hairsbreadth away from losing himself completely. Then her nails raked down his abdomen, she raised her hips in involuntary, silent query, and he grabbed the back of her neck to haul her close again. Damn patience.

His tongue traced her jaw, teeth nipping, his ears drumming with the sound of her pulse. Spike undid the button on her jeans, slipping his hand inside and sliding the zipper down in the process. He nibbled her earlobe as he cupped her intimately, his palm burning. "Do you have any idea," he rasped, "how badly I want this?" She moaned when his fingers flexed, rubbing against moist cloth he intended to have off very soon. "How badly I want to feel you?" Spike's fingers pushed past the barrier of satin, dipping into her cleft, "Taste you... Know how you might squirm around my tongue, how you'll scream if I slip inside you."

She clawed fiercely at his arms, seemingly not sure whether she wanted to tug him closer or push him away. Her whimper of assent and pleasure deafened all other thoughts, while the unexpected jump she made for his throat where her tongue and lips started to play threw his senses out the window. It was so hot, like flames on his skin, and then her scent assaulted his senses as she became wetter and slick in his hand.

Buffy reveled in his closeness, and Spike knew it. He gladly met her useless attempts to be nearer, pressing her back harder against the wood of the door. Her hips were moving against his fingers, where he traced and began to slowly press deeper. She bucked when the heel of his hand met her clit, and he slid one finger, then two, inside her up to his knuckles.

Whimpers came from her throat while he kissed her neck in biting indelicacy, murmuring in between. "Like warm velvet, you are. You're gonna fit me like a glove." He rubbed her a little harder, but kept his pace slow, then curled his fingers... She moaned in happiness, his name on her lips. Spike nearly came undone.

The growl he released should have scared her, Buffy idly thought, but her mind was too fogged to think for too long on anything other than him. All she felt was Spike touching her, his fingers deep inside her and fire taking hold. The tightening in her belly. She knew exactly where this was headed, and she just wanted to speed up the time to get there faster.

Spike, evidently, wasn't having it. Suddenly, before she could shudder and fall limp into his masterful hands, he slowed his movements on her to a terrible torture. She groaned and grabbed at his shoulders, her eyes widening and hips rising when he removed the heel of his hand from her sensitive clit.

"Easy, kitten," he whispered in a tone that did nothing to calm her, tracing the edge of her earlobe with his tongue, "M'gonna take care of you."

And he did. But first he left her in suspended bliss to turn on the shower, hot water dropping in a steamy cascade that lured her like a cat to a bowl of cream. Then Spike came back, his eyes smoldering, and caught her gaze as he brought his hands back to her zipper. Her body flinched in reaction to the spark she felt at his touch. Spike started slipping her jeans down her legs, and her breath shortened.

He kept their eyes locked as he knelt on the ground and helped her free of the denim, watching for glimpses of worry or objection. All he saw was allowance laced with a small amount of hesitation. The latter vanished when he stood up, gliding his fingers up her calves to her thighs, ultimately reaching her hips and stomach.

Buffy's hands found their own way to his belt buckle, and quickly undid it with shaky fingers. Spike kissed her, languid and deep. She wrapped her arms around his neck again and felt him slide her messy ponytail free. Before she realized it, he'd picked her up and set her on the edge of the sink.

Spike tongued the little indent at the base of her throat, feeling her pulse beat strongly beneath. He nipped and growled hungrily. Buffy was pulling and clawing at his shoulders again, whispering his name until Spike couldn't take it any longer. He wrapped an arm about her waist and hauled her against him, then lifted, bringing her to stand in front of the open shower door. "Get in." He cocked his head at the stream of falling water.

Buffy's breathing was heavy, her heartbeat an irregular staccato; she complied. Stepping back, tank top and underwear still on, she entered the shower stall and waited with her palms behind her, pressed against the tiled wall. Spike took no longer than thirty seconds to rid himself of shoes and Levis before joining her, the shower door closing with a definitive click.

The picture she made caused his useless lungs to cease. Her hair was wet at the ends, dripping water down her front and making the shirt she wore reveal more than it covered. Pink areolas outlined enticingly by soaked through material where his tongue had been and where water fell; the white fabric clung to her curves. Spike had her in his arms before she could finish taking a step towards him.

Buffy hissed at the pressure to her breasts when their chests met; then she pressed harder, closer. She stepped on tip toes to kiss him, their tongues meeting in an erotic entanglement. She let her hands roam, her skin hot beneath the spray of the shower and Spike's attentions. She felt his fingers stripping her now soaked underwear from her hips, and she kicked them to the side when they hit the floor.

She felt his hands on the backs of her thighs, trailing a tingling fire along her skin. She rubbed herself against him, feeling his erection hard yet soft, teasing the gap between her legs. His fingers found her again, and she couldn't help a whimper, her nerves jangling like broken bells when he growled harshly. He sunk two fingers inside her again, and rubbed her in the perfect spot... Spike tore his mouth away, and licked his way down to her hardened nipples, soothing them with his tongue, covering them like cool silk. Her back bowed when his hand pressed her to, the other quickly bringing her breathing to an erratic sound that was all Buffy could hear.

Her abdomen tightened, she pressed ever closer and her hips moved faster. She was ignorant of the water running down her face, caressing closed eyelids and her parted lips. All she could feel was Spike; his hair between her roaming fingers, his teeth once again at her neck, mercilessly teasing himself she knew, while he worked her like magic.

Then the virtual dam broke, bringing with it a completion so sweet and hot Buffy let out a yelp. Her clit pressed hard into his palm while his fingers met with slick heat, and he hissed between his teeth. Buffy keened and held onto him, the only thing that could ground her.

She finished in his arms, and aftershocks lit through her like sparkler flashes. Spike was wild at her neck, sucking and biting hard. Pain-laced pleasure surged through her body and buried itself in her lower belly, spiraling outward yet again in undying heat. She felt his fingers leave her and said, "Spike," with very definite plead in her voice. She'd never begged in her life.

Her kissed her roughly, virtually vibrating with tension. She felt herself go limp while he held her up, and then every muscle melted like butter as he ran the head of his erection against her. He brushed her clit, making Buffy shudder and cling to him, his voice ragged in her ear. "Bleedin' fuck you feel good. All warm an wet for me."

She opened her legs a little wider, beyond care at this point that she'd never done this before, her brain past the ability to acknowledge insecurities. All she wanted was him touching her, surrounding her, loving her.

She was slick and hot and needing him. Spike had an inkling though, in the very back of his mind, that she was new to this. She was fire personified, scorching him at every contact, but he wanted her spread out on a bed. Bare and dripping, needy with her arms reaching out towards him. So he pulled back, groaning at the effort and the loss, hot water from the shower feeling like ice compared to her warmth.

He ignored her whimper of complaint to kiss her instead, and managed to hold himself at the limit as he pulled away. She glided one brave hand down his abs to the hardest part of him, touching hesitantly until he took her hand, and looked her in the eye. "Not yet," Spike grunted, and ran his palm lazily over her body once again. Her nipples puckered for him, and he pinched them gently, watching her chest rise and fall with unsteady breaths.

He needed to touch every inch of her, lick the droplets off her skin and run suds over her body. And Spike intended to see every single need met before he had her.

He pulled her shirt off, and she was writhing within minutes.

He'd grabbed a bar of scented soap, proceeded to run it across her breasts, and then her stomach and thighs, dipping his fingers between her legs whenever he wished. Buffy whimpered and practically purred at the same time, as contented as she could be while burning up in his hands. He cleaned her with a reverence that made her shiver, the spicy mist from the soap and the steam invigorating. When his hands ran through her hair, massaging her scalp, her neck arched in a helpless invitation Spike took advantage of.

Her quiet cries were what did it the most, what turned his body into a hard vise of control. Buffy realized this, but could do nothing to help the murmurs she released, or the now frantic straining of her body. She took the bar of soap from its shelf again and ran it over Spike's chest, kneading in suds as they collected over his abs and dripped down, down, down...

A growl tore harshly from his throat as she ran her hot little hands over him; his fingers tightened in her hair. He directed her under the spray of water, rinsing the soap away as she finished with the bar on his body. Water cascaded down their entwined figures, legs linked and lips meeting fiercely.

Spike turned off the shower quickly, picking Buffy up. "Wrap your legs around me," he murmured urgently, and she did. He carried her dripping body from the sweltering room and to his bed, kissing her shoulder that was level with his mouth, listening to her uneven breaths that flitted by his ear like a sweet favorite song.

He laid her down on the soft burgundy comforter, and slid her head to the pillows, blonde locks dampening them. Spike kissed her desperately, realizing the need to be inside her at its depth. She was arching up to meet him, her naked, lithe form pressing against his abdomen, her rich scent running along his body. He ran a hand down her belly to the coarse curls at her apex, and while he mauled her lips, slipped one finger inside her again.

She was molten to him, silky and scorching, sweetly tempting. He wanted to taste her, wanted to lick and know every lovely secret of her body. He would, but as he pulled back for her to have air, watching Buffy's face as her mouth parted in pleasure, the thing he needed the most right then was to possess her. In the most carnal, promising way.

He couldn't claim her yet. Spike knew that even as he bit at her neck with human teeth in self-teasing agony; but in every other way she'd be his. He drew her thighs farther apart, allowing his erection to touch her once again, the heat a welcoming pleasure. He pushed gently, his control tight like the muscles in his body, and then pressed his forehead to hers. Their eyes met and held; breath mingled, one's hot the other's cold.

"If you're gonna tell me to stop, do it now," Spike said roughly.

Buffy swallowed hard, no question or doubts coming to her mind. She knew this was important; it was to her, it was to Spike. She sensed it, felt it as clearly as she felt him nestled between her legs, closer than anyone had ever been to her in body and in heart.

She bent her knees and lifted her feet, pushing against him gently in silent urging. She felt him wrap an arm about her waist and pick her up slightly, and her thighs parted more instinctively. The head of him slipped past her folds, her breath caught, and he pushed inside; her chest heaved painfully with every further inch.

Spike closed his eyes tightly, burying his face in her throat. Harsh breaths hit her skin as he tried to maintain control of himself, forcing slowness when his body demanded to be fully sheathed. He wanted to be so deep inside her she'd feel empty when he wasn't. He wanted her needing him as badly as he knew he would need her surrounding him after tonight; all the time, every second he wasn't a part of her.

Buffy fought the instinct to stiffen her body, her limbs laying open and relaxed while she forced herself not to tense, even as the delightful burn increased, becoming too much. It started to hurt, stretching her until tears leaked down her temples. She bit her lip but couldn't help the harsh sound she made when he thrust completely in, filling her entirely and yet more.

He looked up finally, and cursed softly at the small streaks of tears on her face. He'd had a feeling, but now the proof was in front of him, and elation warred with self disgust. He kissed her cheeks gently, breathing raggedly and keeping utterly still even as he said, "M'sorry, Buffy." He kissed away a new tear, his heart clenching as he looked into her glassy green eyes. "I didn' wanna hurt you, I'm sorry." His hand went to the back of her head, holding her still, resisting the urges brought on by the tips of her breasts hitting his chest with every harsh, deep breath she took.

Buffy shook her head slightly, and just barely whispered, "I've never done this before."

Her tone, quiet and raspy, sent a wave of protectiveness through him. Lust pounded in his veins, his cock was heavy and inside her, and his heart was utterly lost. Spike gulped down a hard swallow and clenched his jaw before saying, "I had a feelin, but didn' know til..." His voice changed to as even as he could make it. "Do you want me to stop?" he choked.

Buffy knew how much torture that would be for him without the look of restraint on his features. And even with the hurt, she wanted this, and delaying it would only frustrate them both; she needed him. God, she needed him. So she shook her head, and urged him yet again with her heels, lifting upward the tiniest bit.

Spike groaned at the movement, the agreement. His hips moved without thought, and he caught her wince. His nostrils flared. "I'll be quick," he said raggedly, his body taking pleasure while his heart hurt.

She just wrapped her arms around him and held on, both their faces buried in each other's throats. His harsh breaths beat against her neck while every thrust made her lose hers.

Spike grabbed onto her tightly, leaving no room between their slick bodies as he filled her over and over again. Passion heightened, her scent and the way she held him making it feel as if his heart was racing.

"It's never been this way," he said, "Never... Christ, Buffy..." And he kissed her, hard and lovingly, distracting her in the best way he could. His body moved faster, hers lifting up for him in trusting offer, and his breaths became quicker until she felt him spill inside her. The emotion that welled up made her hug him closer, never needing anything in the world from him if he would just always trust her to hold him this way, and treat her the way he always did. Like he loved her.

There was enough sense left in his mind to drop slightly to the side instead of falling on top of her. But he didn't leave her body, didn't move away. Spike slowly came back to himself as they both caught their breath, all the while still holding her, and she holding him.
____________________________

END NOTES: Sex scenes are always very hard to write for me, so I'd love some feedback! Please and thank you, and I promise to try very hard and make sure the next chapter is here at the latest in two weeks time. :)
Chapter 29: Love Me by Linnae13
AUTHOR'S NOTES: So this chapter is mostly smut, and i know im a little late again... I also know I promised I wouldn't be, so I am so sorry!! It's just that Halloween is more busy for my family than almost any other holiday (strange, I know) and I've been very preoccupied. I hope this chapter makes up for the wait a little bit. And thanks for reading and reviewing! :) *hugs*

Happy Halloween everybody!
______________________________

Buffy curled into the solid mass by her side, burying her head deeper beneath the blanket and fighting off wakefulness. She was warm, content, and not a single muscle was ready to be stretched.

She shifted closer to the thing wrapped around her like a cool sheet, humming when she felt a light touch on her shoulder that started a tingle over her skin. Something- No, an arm. Someone's arm pulled her closer, into the comfort of her pillow.

That pillow was Spike.

Buffy's eyes shot open, memories from the night before lancing like fresh lightening into her tired mind. She felt Spike's chest beneath her cheek, his lips at the crown of her hair. Heat spread quicker than wildfire, and with it came a heavy sense of... belonging. Belonging and happiness. And there was just enough luxurious sensuality leftover to bring a blush to her cheeks.

She closed her eyes and shifted yet closer, becoming aware of a foreign soreness in her body. "Oh, definitely foreign,* she thought to herself, and her thighs rubbed together subconsciously.

Spike touched her ribcage and then trailed down to the indent of her waist. He squeezed with a possessive hand, and said, "S'a bit late to pretend you're asleep, love. I saw your eyes pop open."

There was fondness and warmth in his voice; Buffy still wanted to lie in her comfortable cloud nine state for awhile. She pressed her face closer to his body, making a sound that answered him in no way, and glided her cheek up to rest by his throat. She felt him swallow.

"Did you sleep well?" he said.

"Wanna sleep more." His voice had been gravelly, but Buffy's was worse, and she had a feeling it didn't sound the least bit sexy like his did. Her throat felt like there was a rope tied around the inside of it.

She allowed him to wrap their legs together, his hand tracing her hip. Spike breathed her in and couldn't prevent a lazy smile.

She smelled like him; as primitive as the notion was, it was true. Her skin and hair, the latter still slightly damp, smelled like his soap. And there was an overlay of sweet, taken female that surrounded her like an imprint. His fingers found themselves caressing in soft circles, and they roamed around to the base of her spine to touch and play.

She shivered suddenly, and he frowned. "Are you cold?"

She just barely shook her head. "N-No. It's the way you're touching me."

His hand twitched after he realized how stupid his question had been, and Buffy's simple quiet words set fire to his cold blood. He swallowed hard and asked, "How're you feelin?"

She smiled softly. "Not bad."

His fingers glided gently along the smooth skin of her inner thigh; he didn't know when they'd gotten there. "Your throat?"

"Not the best," Buffy answered honestly, "but I'll be okay."

He scowled, and took a glance at her neck. The dark marks made his jaw clench, unacknowledged was the fist his fingers had curled into.

He remembered the tea and healing salve, the things he SHOULD have made sure Buffy received by now.

That hadn't happened. And he realized that his own selfish needs were the reason. Ace probably hadn't even set foot on his way upstairs last night. The entire group no doubt knew exactly what had happened only hours before in this room.

Spike didn't try to fight the proud grin that came to his lips. He tightened his arm around Buffy instead. She was a sleepy bundle in his arms, and he reveled in that fact.

This beautiful, vibrant girl trusted him, knowing what he was. She rested peacefully, half asleep and right within the reach of his fangs, completely relaxed. Her heart drummed gently in her warm body, long pliant limbs wrapped around his body, dainty feet between his calves... Spike pulled her closer still.

He'd slept sounder than he ever had last night, his girl's breathing pulling him into slumber better than a lullaby. She was safe, and she was all his.

Spike looked at her neck once more as he felt her relax even more, but he tensed again in remembered anger. When she was his mate- which she would be someday -no vamp or demon would dare touch her. Not unless they had bravery to go along with supreme stupidity. His mark- the claim of a powerful vampire -would warn off threats. Buffy would get a little stronger, too, and become immortal.

Until then, any supernatural animals with a nose would scent her- And then him on her.

She couldn't move without him surrounding her now. Humans might be ignorant, but not the demon community. A heightened sense of smell would prove her as taken now. She belonged to someone. She belonged to him.

She mumbled sleepily when his hand trailed downward and touched the back of her knee, bending it to raise her leg higher over his own. He wanted to slip inside her again.

It would be so easy. She would accept him, Buffy was warm and receptive, but he knew that so soon after the first time meant she'd be sore.

He felt her sigh against his neck; like sifted flour falling, his restraint was falling apart.

He looked down at her body, outlined enticingly beneath the cool blanket he'd draped over them both last night. His hand wrapped around one slender upper arm, dragging down slowly, bringing another shiver to her body. Buffy whispered his name against his skin, and that was it.

Powerless, Spike's hand travelled to her thigh again, touching every tantalizing inch of skin he dared along the way. Lush and tender, the heat from her core scorched him. She wriggled in his arms, and her legs opened for him.

She might not be quite ready to take him inside again yet, but there was something he'd been craving for too long and it would cause her no pain. Unless you counted the type he'd be feeling when she was pulling on his hair in a few minutes.

Anticipating, imagining seeing her fingers claw through the sheets, Spike moved his hand gently over her wet heat until Buffy opened her eyes.

She expressed her question through a look, and her own gasp was the answer.

He circled her clit with the heel of his hand, several times, until she was writhing. Their eyes locked as Spike toyed with her; he could feel the burn beneath her skin as surely as if it was his own.

Whimpering harshly into the air, Buffy let Spike pull her forward and over him, her breasts pressing against his chest. She felt limp as he very gently urged a finger into her tender body, touching intimately enough to make her squirm on his lap as he watched her like a king awaiting payment. She tried to ignore the excitement, the sensations in her stomach, as those bright blue eyes stared at her, but became a willing ragdoll when he kissed her neck.

His tongue made her think of ice and fire at once, and her skin reacted in turn to the stimulation. The sensations his fingers created had Buffy digging into his shoulders. Then his mouth wandered down further, licking flame into her muscles until she could feel her own wetness on her thighs and didn't care. He wouldn't move any faster. He kept touching her slowly, repeatedly, different motions but all equally torturous; and she was ready to kill him when his lips started moving down her abdomen.

"What are you doing to me?" she croaked. She hated that her voice was barely even a voice, but either way, Spike didn't answer her. He just kept getting lower, and lower, and lower...

His hand left her, and he bowed her back until she met the bed. Unable to do anything but feel, and not sure if she cared or not at this point what he did to her, Buffy raised herself into his kisses; she didn't think to ask when his tongue went below her belly button.

Only when his mouth made direct contact with her cleft did she realize what he was doing.

She tried to protest for only a second- out of nerves, out of surprise -but was cut off from herself by pure pleasure. His tongue stroked her in full, wrapping around her clit as abruptly as he grabbed her hips; Buffy's body lurched at the same moment.

Her breaths were coming in and out sharp; her heartbeat thrummed into her breastbone like waves against a dam. She saw Spike looking at her from the place between her spread legs, eyes of fiery ice that made her shiver.

He stared at her, his gaze roaming greedily as he took in pointed nipples, the wetness on his tongue hardening him and assaulting his senses. He bit at the flesh around her cleft, then lapped at her with his tongue again, holding her down the entire time. The sounds above him- of enjoyment, and desperate want - drove him on. His demon was screaming to be released, wanting to sink fangs into the flawless length of thigh by his cheek and mark it, hopelessly, permanently, as his.

Instead he ate at her, drawing sighs and milky sobs from her throat as heaven poured onto his taste buds. He needed to feel her juices around him again, and brought two fingers to her opening and slipped them inside. She tossed her head and clenched her hands in the sheets, hoarsely whispering his name once again.

Spike slowly, firmly, licked and tasted her pouting clit. He grinned up into her begging green eyes, his desire leaping as she began to lose herself. Her breaths came faster still.

One strong, dainty hand unclenched from the bed sheet, and Spike saw it trailing towards him. Honey on his lips, suddenly jealous of his own bloody fingers, Spike removed his touch to replace it with a much more greedy appendage. His tongue dipped and swirled, entering her in one deep stroke. He felt and gloried in every taste and texture, and every lurch of Buffy's hips that he had to hold down when her hands finally wove harshly into his hair.

From then on, Buffy knew he was a ravenous man bent on killing her.

Spike growled and bit, sucked and then laved; gentle one moment, harsh the next. Her legs stiffened, and her eyes slammed shut as a wave pulsed through her. Every limb tensed, her hearing disappeared. Her neck arched back so far she could see the doorway of the bedroom if she opened her eyes, and her throat burned when she yelped in release.

Gasping, finally replete, her palms fell open. She realized idly that she'd been gripping Spike's head a moment before and looked down just in time to watch him prowl over her. There was a little nerve jumping at his throat and it was how she noticed his jaw was clenched. His supple lips were shiny from tasting her, from making her cum hard enough Buffy swore she'd almost seen those proverbial stars.

She raised a tired hand up to his face, and was just about to lean up and kiss him when he pulled her into his arms. She was flung over and found herself beneath him again, then her lips were smashed in a frenzy. She calmly gave in to the assault, glorying in his want of her. When he finished with her, her lips were swollen and red, she could feel it.

He was filled with control and tenderness, possessiveness sat in his eyes next to fierce longing. She wished he would make love to her again, and couldn't figure out why he was denying himself- Denying the both of them.

He rolled onto his side and sat up, then bent and pressed a firm kiss to her lips, closed off but open at the same time. Her heart beat faster.

He pulled back again and Buffy started to ask why when his hand dug beneath the blanket and found her where she still gently throbbed, rubbing softly. She winced at the contact.

Understanding dawned at just about the same time he said, "I want to be inside you more than anythin right now. But I'm not about to hurt you, so rest some more."

She frowned hard at that last bit of information. Rest? She could, her eyelids already felt droopy, but-

"Sleep's good for healin," he explained, seeing her confusion. With a feather-light touch, Spike ran his fingertips over her bruises. "It'll help with these..." he gave her a little smile, "and the other thing"

Spike thought she might try and argue with him- and enough arguing and he'd be balls deep in heaven before either of them realized it -but then she just nodded, and questioningly laid her hand on his chest. He didn't like her hesitancy, even though he knew her reason was considerate and valid enough; but he never wanted her unsure of how much he loved her touch. He tugged her fully against him, and though he was tense and his body was on fire, every nerve a combustible packet ready to burst, he still relaxed a bit when Buffy's body fell into his. She became heavy and soft, sleepy, and began drifting in his arms within a minute.

He tightened his hold, allowing torture and contentment to combine.

***

Ace didn't even knock. All Spike knew, after almost an hour of holding his girl, of finally bringing himself somewhere out from under the agony of unfulfilled craving- but in no way free of it -two of his friends just bounded in.

Actually, they walked in calmly, their footsteps neither muffled nor rushed; he should've heard them. Spike realized that he'd been a little distracted with Buffy in his hands, his eyes trained on her face, to notice much of anything else, but this was ridiculous.

"What the bloody hell are you doing?!" It wasn't a roar, but the threat was implied. He sat up straight and half blocked Buffy's sleeping form with his body, glaring at the intrusive two.

Blake and Ace looked at each other, then at Spike again; they wisely kept their gazes focused on the vampire. "It's one in the afternoon," Ace started, "and while that's not exactly late for any of us, everyone else is up and-"

"And we thought you might be torturing her up here," Blake interjected, his eyes twinkling slightly. "You've had all night. We were starting to get worried."

Ace sighed. "Stop being an ass."

"I'm not being an ass."

Spike grit his teeth and looked behind him as the two morons started bickering. He noticed the blanket was bunched high over Buffy's leg and her chest was almost exposed, so he pulled the covering up quickly and tucked it around her. At the sound of a throat clearing, he turned back to the men at his door; he felt his patience wearing even thinner.

"We just wanted to see if you guys were ready to get out of bed," Ace explained as Spike's anger became apparent.

He rose an eyebrow. "M'ready for you gits to leave."

"Dylan thinks he found a picture of the Gem, and Stevo has a good theory about why the fight last night got so brutal."

"It was a fight," Spike said with irritation.

"But why were there so many of those little fuckers?" Blake asked. He slapped a hand down on Ace's shoulder and rubbed it roughly. "They gave our buddy here a sore muscle," he said with fake sympathy. Ace shrugged him off and rolled his eyes.

The vampire swiftly turned his head at the sound of Buffy's groggy voice calling out his name. His jaw clenched, and he faced his friends again. "You're wakin her up. We'll be down later, now get out."

"How much later?" Ace questioned softly.

"When we feel like it," Spike growled.

Blake gave a tilt of his head, pointedly fixing his stare on Buffy's rising, sleepy form. His dark eyebrows rose high. "No wonder you don't wanna come downstairs, I'd lock myself in a room with her any day."

Ace was pushing him towards the door before Spike's roar threatened to reverberate throughout the whole room, but not before Buffy realized fully that others were nearby. Her eyes widened, her knees tucked up and a splash of scarlet ran over her cheeks as she held the blanket up high. She hiked it up to her chin.

Spike flung an arm out and in front of her, his palm flattened on the bed sheet as he blocked her from view; she was grateful. Blake caught sight of the move, and smiled widely after staring for a moment too long. "Spike calm down, she's covered," he chuckled.

That didn't cool the vampire any. Ace pushed Blake towards the open doorway again as Spike's growl turned into a sharp snarl. "I knew I should've brought Dylan up with me."

Blake turned around, fighting Ace's hands just enough to poke his head into view of the bed again. "Oh, I see a shoulder! I see a shoulder!"

Buffy looked on worriedly as Spike pounced off the bed and slammed the door on Blake's laughter. She quickly covered the shoulder which had been the last proverbial straw as he turned around; she blinked at him in question.

He strode back to the bed- She kept her stare elevated -and climbed up beside her. Spike wasted no time in pulling her into his arms and ripping the sheet down to expose her torso. Just as quickly, before she could so much as gasp, he had her breasts pressed to his chest as he recovered their touching bodies.

"What-"

"They said everyone was up, just wanted to know if we'd be out a bed soon." Spike brushed his hand over her tousled hair, roaming down to cup her cheek. "I told em we'd be down when we felt like it."

Buffy swallowed and rested her head on his shoulder. Her cheeks were aflame with color but it was diminishing. She was just glad she'd had the blanket when Ace and Blake had come in. She'd have to talk to Spike about getting a lock for his bedroom door.

The blush returned. If she did that, it would be implying that she planned on being naked in this very room often in the future, maybe using it as her own at some point... She gulped.

The idea was a nice one, she liked being with Spike, she felt content in his arms. And it was apparent that she couldn't bother worrying about the guys knowing "too much," because they already did. But again, this brought her back to the fact she didn't want them seeing her naked.

Spike didn't either, obviously. He'd gone from normal to growly in a heartbeat just now, and then back to being loving and "hands-on" as soon as Blake and Ace had left. Yeah, a lock would be a nice thing.

Right now, Buffy just accepted the reprieve Spike gave her, the pleasure she felt from simply being with him. His arms were wrapped around her like a cocoon, trailing magical little patterns over her skin that soothed and heated at once.

Magick. Buffy blinked her eyes open, a frown on her features. She hadn't worn the bracelet last night. It was back at home, on her dresser, waiting for her to pick it up and put it on right before she headed to bed. Wearing the little amber stone that brought peace in slumber had become a nightly ritual for her, yet she'd had no bad dreams last night.

It must have been because of Spike's presence, she realized belatedly. He'd kept her nightmares away that one time when he'd found her on the floor, a makeshift dream catcher. Now he'd done it again.

Buffy smiled.

Then, as abrupt as a rocket launch, she shot up in bed.

Spike was asking her what was wrong when she scrambled out from under the blanket, away from him, and bolted for the bathroom. He followed her, worry in his tone as he repeated himself.

Buffy had forgotten all about Grams, and Anne was probably worried out of her mind.

Crap, where was her bag? She had to have brought it up here. She found her jeans and started to put them on, ignoring her commando state. Spike's voice pierced through the frantic condition of her mind, just before he spun her around and stared into her eyes. "What the hell is wrong?" he demanded.

"Grams." Her voice was still a croak, and it made it harder to get out her jumbled thoughts. "I- I didn't- I forgot to tell her I wouldn't be home!"

"Relax," he said, a soft frown on his face, as if there really wasn't anything wrong, "I contacted her last night after you fell asleep."

Buffy blinked, once, twice. She shook her head and asked, "You did what?!"

Spike looked away, then gathered his thoughts and explained. "I wasn't sure if she had a cell phone, but I checked yours and decided to text her."

"You texted my grandmother?" She frowned, hard.

Spike shrugged sheepishly. "Didn' think you'd want me callin her... Might scare the lady to death thinkin you'd been abducted or something."

"So you sent her a text message?" Buffy wasn't sure her Grams knew what a text message was.

"Surprisingly, it worked." Spike offered a half smile. "She said to have a good time at your 'impromptu sleepover.'" He waggled his eyebrows. "Think we accomplished that, Goldilocks?"

She fought down the shiver that presented itself when he lifted a lock of her hair and fingered it gently, the strands wrapping like silk around his touch. Buffy suddenly raised her arms over her exposed torso, covering herself, and stepped closer to him.

Somehow, beneath the blood starting to race in her veins, she managed to ask where her phone and bag were. Spike took her hand and lead her over to the other side of the bedroom. Five minutes later she found out, that sure enough, Grams did know what a text was.

Buffy scoffed softly, and dropped her phone back inside her bag. "I can't believe you remembered to contact my grandmother even when I didn't."

He smiled, not without satisfaction, and said, "You were a little distracted. 'Sides, she knows you're safe, which is the important thing. Right?"

She nodded, and wrapped her arms around his lean torso, hugging tightly. "Thank you."

He kissed her hair, and pressed Buffy in closer. "You're welcome, pet."

Spike hugged her back, let his heart feel the lightness inside, and prayed, for the first time since he was human, that he never lost her.

"I love you."
Chapter 30: Tell me or Don't, but Lose me if you Won't by Linnae13
She'd slammed the door shut on her fierce run out, and Spike was left alone in the room.

Questions and doubt, they filled him up to bursting. Her words echoed in his mind on high speed, repeating, repeating, repeating...

*"I love you."*

He'd never seen someone with so much fear in their eyes the moment she realized what she'd let slip. Spike had froze, his eyes disbelieving and he was sure, frightened, too.

Buffy had thrown on her clothes in a whirlwind of speed and haste. Spike had never seen a human move that fast before.

But he'd been aware of very little in the following moments. Not until she slammed the door and he heard the sounds of her quick footsteps pounding down the stairs, then through the front door, had he realized...

Spike went to his dresser, planning on tossing on pants then rushing after her. He had to catch her before she got too far.

Thunder rumbled in the distance, and he glanced absently at the door, his hands slowed, the button on his Levis closing in delay.

He shook his head, and bent to grab up a T-shirt; he stared at it.

Spike didn't know if he could go after her.

He swallowed, a painful ache making itself known in his chest. He shouldn't... Christ.

He loved Buffy, more than he did anything... but he couldn't tell her. Everyone he'd ever had touch his heart had left him. Dawn, their mum, Dru... In some way or another they'd left; he couldn't lose Buffy like that.

He couldn't curse her, he couldn't let himself be... vulnerable- He-

Spike choked on something, and released a rushed breath, pulling his shirt on in a blink. His eyes trained on his shoes in the corner and he strode to them, quickly put them on, then looked around the room in a hurry for his coat. It lay on the floor half beneath the bed.

He could not let his fears rule him, not in this. Not with Buffy. She was leaving him right now, and she might never be back if he didn't stop it. If he didn't... He loved her. He didn't know if could tell her.

Did he deserve her if he couldn't tell her, though?

Spike let his fist fly into the unmade bed, misery and frustration running through him; crumpled sheets lay already mussed beneath his hand. It was where he'd had Buffy spread and relaxed, soft and alive in his arms not ten minutes before. How had a moment of happiness like that disappeared so quickly?

How come he'd let it be ruined by not reacting to her confession? And then worse, letting her leave?

Spike hated himself, for one pure moment, he literally wanted to plunge a stake through his own heart; and it ached badly enough to beg for the dusting. He threw on his coat instead.

Growling at his selfishness and stupidity, all fears that stubbornly followed him even as he raced to the door went ignored.

Spike bounded through the hallway, past Stevo's room, and was halfway stumbling down the stairs when he flew into Blake.

The brunette's worry was tangible. He grabbed Spike quickly by the shoulders and held him with great strength to meet the vampire's eyes. "What the hell happened? Buffy just ran out of here-"

"I know!" Spike shoved him off and pursued the girl in question, his gut clenching in sync with the sound of thunder outside the windows. There was a strong storm coming, he could feel it, smell it.

He was at the front hall when Stevo's angry form stopped him short. "What's going on Spike?"

The vampire bit back a snarl. "I'm a bleedin idiot, I'll explain later." He had no intention of doing that, but it would serve him right any penance he might have to face for hurting his girl.

*She's mine. And now she thinks...* He knew he'd made her doubt... Made her possibly believe that she didn't mean as much to him as she did. Buffy was his world, but she might not know it.

And she was gone now because she was doubting his feelings in their complete; anyone would. *Fuck me.*

He pushed past the towering man and saw three others standing in the kitchen doorway. He barely spared them a glance before reaching the front door and opening it.

He heard Stevo's steel edged voice at the same frighteningly accurate moment lightning splintered the sky. "She was crying, Spike."

The vampire slammed the door, hating himself all over again in a blindingly cruel moment of unwanted knowledge.

He might very well have closed off the same girl who'd come so far in healing herself, and opening up to him.

He might lose her forever if he didn't find her damn bloody soon.

***

She didn't have her bag, just the clothes on her back. No phone, no book, no music- Just her. The rain that was starting to drip from the sky like cold tears made her shiver- Or maybe that was due to the feelings lancing through her.

Buffy had run until she was out of breath. The rain which had threatened to fall for almost ten minutes with loud growls of thunder and bright flashes of blue-white light as warning was finally keeping its word. Her clothes would soon be heavy.

She could go to Grams' place, but the idea held no appeal. Nothing really did except moving for as long as she could, in a direction away from him.

She'd never forget the look of utter shock on his face. She was sure she'd worn something similar to it; after all, she hadn't planned on telling Spike she loved him. Yet that look, combined with her own wretched fears, had sent her sprinting off.

He hadn't come for her. She wasn't sure he would.

She realized the graying sky would provide cover from the sun, but Spike had not even given a thought to feelings of this caliber, of love, judging by his surprise and the fear she'd noticed in his eyes of azore blue. He was shocked, and Buffy didn't even know how she'd said it, how the words had formed on her fearful lips. She shouldn't expect him to come after her. She'd run from him again.

The girl shook her head so hard it hurt. Raindrops splashed onto her hair and wet it again. She loved Spike more than she did herself, would offer up her life if asked to preserve his immortality, and she'd never regret the moment she'd set eyes on his arrogant form at the library so long ago.

But she shouldn't have told him. Not knowing if he felt the same for sure was better than knowing he didn't.

Buffy thought she'd seen his love for her before... she'd imagined it, clearly. It had all been wishful thinking, a trick of light to the heart's eye. She'd trusted it. She'd believed...

She'd been played.

Buffy fought off the tears that were starting again. She'd only just gotten them to stop, but now her breaths were becoming ragged, and her lungs burned like her eyes. She blinked repeatedly in an effort to gain control, stopped and wiped her face, but ended up sobbing all the same. She clenched her teeth, pounded a foot into the dampening earth as her hands covered her cheeks. Her heart was breaking, she was sure this is what that felt like. Her throat was closing up, making the rawness caused from the night before more distinct.

Buffy cried, feeling like a child as she remembered the moment in the basement like it was yesterday. She had been so sure, knowing and secure, feeling his love for her through silence.

God, she'd never been more wrong.

He cared for her, maybe very much, but he didn't love her. What man who loved a woman would let her run from him after the confession? What kind of woman let herself be so vulnerable and blind?

She was wretchedly embarrassed, and cruelly, abundantly unsure of if she'd now ruined everything.

Buffy leaned heavily against a tree as more tears poured uselessly forth, and she worked to keep her knees straight. She was tired, inside and out, and she could still feel his touch on her skin. It was pain and pleasure at once, the memories frightening in their clarity.

She heaved in several uneven breaths. She had to get a grip...

It was no use. She needed more time before she could calm down. Buffy looked around, seeing the bank of the heavy flowing river through blurry vision. It was fast and rushing, the current harsh. She knew this part of the water was rough and deep, flowing out to become a nearly bottomless lake that no one had bothered to measure the depth of.

She felt rather like the river now; disquieted, frigid, unsteady- Her heartbeat was as rapid and uneven as those waves, and Buffy had the sickening sensation she was drowning.

Then all of a sudden, in fifteen seconds of disaster, she was.

A shove, almost too quick to be felt, and a blur out of the corner of her unfocused eyes, and Buffy was falling. She toppled down the sloping ground like a thrown sack of potatoes, tears forgotten and replaced by slapping pain as her body hit hard, muddy ground. Rocks met her lower back and one kneecap.

She yelped when her body met the icy water. Water that quickly started fighting with her, pulling her below its surface and splashing into her vision, her mouth.

She coughed and flailed, trying to react in coordination and swim; the current wouldn't let her. Luckily- if you could call any part of this circumstance lucky -she was a person who floated rather than sank. Buffy treaded active water and tried to stay above the waves, but the current kept tugging her roughly back and forth, downstream. She hit boulders at their edges, grappling with wet stone to try and hang on; her grip always slipped.

The rain started pounding down. Buffy was fighting just to keep her head above water, swimming was impossible and the winds were hitting this area particularly hard. Her face and bones chilled as she battled with the river, she could just start to feel her fingers going numb.

She was going to drown. The water kept getting in her mouth and the floor of the river wasn't touchable at all. Panic was settling in; Buffy fought it almost as hard as she fought the river. She screamed and hoped that her voice would last, but she tried not to waste breath on terror alone.

She couldn't die. Not like this. Not with Grams still here, alone in MayBell. Not with Spike here- Even if he didn't love her. He would never forgive himself for not coming after her if she died. She knew how protective he was about those he cared for, and she might not be the love of his life, but she was important to him.

Buffy realized it didn't even matter if he didn't love her. She couldn't live without him. If he cared for her, that would be enough. If she survived this, anything would be enough. And Grams needed her. And Stevo was going to teach her how to pickpocket. And Dylan had found a picture of the Gem. And Spike was still in danger from Flora. There were so many reasons why Buffy couldn't die yet. She just couldn't.

Oh God, she had run from him again- The exact thing she'd promised she would never... do again...

She was running out of breath, and time. Another wave crashed over her head.

***

Spike followed her scent through the downpour. He'd been at this for almost fifteen minutes, the rain only having gotten worse, and he was ready to howl like a fucking werewolf.

She hadn't gone home. That worried him. Her scent had led him on a curving, seemingly blind chase, and still no sign of her.

The sensation of being lost wouldn't abate. He didn't know where she was. He knew the location, he knew how to get out of this part of the woods, he knew how to get to town from here, the library, his house. But Spike felt utterly lost without knowing where Buffy was.

It was like trying to follow the north star without actually seeing it; you saw the moss heavy on the trees, even had a compass, but the star wasn't shining. A cloud hid it just like the ones now covering the sky, as a thick, gray blanket of shadow.

Spike ran his hands through his hair as her scent seemed to stop. He circled like a bloodhound, but couldn't find another place where the scent picked up.

He was going to have to retrace his steps. There was nowhere for her to have gone unless she'd sprouted wings, and Spike certainly would have seen Rex flying around if that were the case-

A shout was suddenly cut off in the distance. The noise was rusty, the word forming a plea, and the voice just too familiar for him to ever mistake.

Spike bolted. To his right, he ran along the top of the riverbank. His leather duster flapped in the wet wind and his boots threatened to slip in the mud on the ground. He heard her shout again. Her voice was soft compared to the thunder and the rain, but he heard it clearly.

He tripped up then skidded to a hasty halt when her voice came back to him again, cut off even quicker than the last time, but closer, louder.

Anxious blue eyes scanned the area, up and around, down-

Spike slid along the bank and grappled with muddy, rocky terrain the next instant. He stumbled and jumped, using one side of his body for balance against the wall of slimy land.

She was in the river. Buffy was fighting waves and clinging to a bent tree branch that stuck down into the water, near a jagged boulder. She was hauling herself up, trying to climb the branch or the rock, Spike wasn't sure. His mind was reeling.

His fingers dug into the side of the steep bank, booted feet rushing on slippery terrain. Spike hurried towards her. His heart felt like it had wrapped itself into a knot. "Buffy!"

She turned her head, and the desperate, shocked look on her face nearly sent him to his knees with regret. She hadn't thought he'd come for her.

Spike ignored the gut clenching pain that realization caused, and sped sloppily towards her, making a vow that when they got out of this, when she was safe again, he would spend the rest of his unlife making sure she knew that he'd always come for her.

Always.

But he couldn't touch her. Spike met the thick trunk of the dying tree she was holding onto, between clashing waves and slick earth, its rotting bark their only lifeline at this point. The river was violent, and Spike wanted Buffy out of there before it swallowed her whole.

He wrapped his arm around the trunk and leaned out with his other, reaching for her. "Can you grab my hand?!"

Buffy's hair clung to her face, but a chilly wind whipped it out of her eyes. She clung to the branch which was her connection to land, and reached towards Spike's straining hand. Their fingers just barely touched, of course, like some sort of sick joke. Just slightly out of reach.

A wave came and pushed her further away; she grappled with the branch. Coughing, her chin pointed towards the sky as water splashed her neck, Buffy started working towards Spike again, pulling herself up the branch.

He suddenly reached her in grabbing, frantic intensity. She was hauled roughly from the river and tossed backward, over his shoulder to reach a thicker branch of the rotting tree. Buffy gasped, but didn't have time to be shocked because just as quickly as he'd thrown her over his shoulder, Spike was climbing up the riverbank's edge on all fours.

She thought she heard him shout through the rain and the pounding in her ears. Buffy dug her nails into the wet leather of his coat and prayed that vampires had the same agility that cats possessed.

Sure enough, it seemed they did. At least hers did.

Within thirty seconds they'd scrambled up the bank and reached the edge of the forest. Spike hauled them the last three or so feet and flopped unceremoniously onto the flat ground. Buffy quickly rolled off of him, coughing and taking in jittery breaths.

Now they were safe, but her heart rate wasn't calming. Spike lifted his head, fighting for breath that didn't matter as he crawled closer and enveloped her in his arms. He hugged her tight, and she him.

She buried her face in his shoulder, eyes shut tight. Her breathing started to relax, her body felt like rubber, every muscle cold and shivery, her body huddled into his. Spike's palms ran over her form in rushes, as if feeling her would prove she was really there. She pressed herself in closer and allowed the rain to cover them without a thought to the mud or the freezing temperatures in her bones.

Her skin was soaked, every fiber of her clothing, too; but she was okay. The man she loved was here, he was alive in his own way and holding her against him like it was the only thing in the world he could possibly do. She needed this always, his chilly warmth that somehow comforted and heated her, the feeling of his arms around her. Buffy needed his smiles and every stupid argument.

"Please don't leave me."

Spike pulled his head back so quick she almost lost her balance on his chest. Buffy righted herself and then felt the grip of his fingers on her jaw, directing her stare to his.

He said, "I love you."

She blinked in rapid succession as disbelief and wonder hit her with those words. It was like an hourglass had been turned on its side, so no threat of time-running-out remained.

He saw every nuance, every flicker of emotion in her eyes, and kissed her hard and desperate. When he pulled back a mere second later, his voice, filled with ardor and promise and conviction, rang clearer than the thunder overhead. "And I will never bloody leave you."

A tear fell. She couldn't help it, didn't try. She simply hugged his soaked body to hers, and just like that, reassurances were no longer needed. Buffy found that she had finally come back home.
______________________________
END NOTES: Thanks everyone for your reviews and for still reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. The river scene was something that had spurred me to write this fic to begin with, I've had it in my mind for a while.

I hope you enjoyed! Reviews are encouraged! :)
Chapter 31: Initial Here by Linnae13
"I shoulda told you what I was right after you... After I knew what was keepin you locked away from me. S'only fair you know the person who's keepin your secrets, eh love?"

This he told her as they sat in the living room, Buffy sipping at a cup of over sweetened tea loaded with healing herbs whose names she could barely pronounce. Spike was beside her, wearing new clothes and holding a small tub of yellow salve. His lips moved over words of confession, his eyes warm on her face as he treated her, and refused to let her talk.

Buffy still managed to slip a word in once in a while, but mostly she just sat, drank, and allowed Spike to cake medicinal goo onto her throat.

She wasn't really complaining. After trudging back home with him, she had been almost too tired to take a hot shower. That idea had quickly changed to a nice, warm bath, and Spike came in at the end of it to lift her from the tub himself.

He was being ridiculously caring, and had been speaking somewhat apologetically ever since they'd walked through the door. She'd said she was sorry for running and had tried explaining why she'd done so; Spike hadn't let her get far before she'd been shushed.

And arguing wasn't easy, though she tried to make herself heard. Spike had only told her he loved her again. She was allowed to speak only long enough to tell him she loved him too, then he'd threatened to duct tape her mouth.

Buffy knew he was only trying to make sure her throat healed, at this point it had taken quite a beating. But judging by the tingly feeling she got from the tea, and the inordinate amount of gunk on her neck, it should heal quickly. Being silent in a house like this was irritating to say the least, so it better.

Spike looked at her in question, and Buffy realized she'd gotten lost in her thoughts. She smiled softly as she recalled his last words, and then wider when he returned the look. "Though you might not have stuck around," he added, "if you'd seen my fangs so early on. And I wouldn'a blamed you."

Blake suddenly came in from the kitchen before she could respond, a steaming mug clasped in his hands. He approached them and gave the cup to Spike, who then proceeded to offer it to Buffy. She shook her head and tilted the one in her hands a little to show she wasn't yet done with her third dose of Stevo's herbal remedy; Spike set the fourth down on a table. It was amazing she hadn't needed to go to the bathroom yet.

Blake took a seat on the mattress at their feet, watching curiously as Spike brushed another thumb coated with salve across a bruise on her neck. Buffy dutifully craned, then took another sip of her tea when Blake asked Spike how long the concoction of medical treatments should take to heal her. She smiled behind her cup when Spike said hopefully no more than a day.

That would be nice. The drink she was ingesting had to be either bitter, or bitterly sweet; there were no other options. And the salve on her skin didn't exactly feel all that great, it smelled funny and was very sticky. She'd be relieved once she was back to normal.

Now if only she could get her boyfriend back to normal...

She watched tension build in Spike's shoulders while Blake simply talked. The guys hadn't asked her what had happened to make her run out in tears before, and she assumed that Spike had been clearing some things up for them while she'd been bathing. No one asked her any questions that weren't somehow related to her throat condition, mostly just offered different things like snacks, or runs out to the grocery store.

Spike's attitude wasn't easily explainable. They were both safe, both dry, maybe a little tired, too, but altogether well. The only trouble they'd had since the river was when Buffy realized she didn't have any clothes to wear after being carried out of the bathtub; one of Spike's T-shirts and an old pair of sweats had been the simple fix.

Now she was looking at her vampire who seemed ready to pop. His body was tightly drawn, and his jaw clenched even while he conversed with his friend. She didn't know what was wrong.

"Blake?"

The empath turned when she interjected, and Buffy was acutely aware of Spike's eyes on her, as well. She swallowed, grateful she hadn't been reprimanded for using her croaky voice.

"What is it, dollface?"

"What is Spike feeling right now?"

The question got her two shocked superbeings, which wasn't a surprise. Buffy still knew she'd get her answer, too.

Blake rose an eyebrow, glanced at Spike beside her, then accommodated. "Well-"

"Can it, Blake."

"Now Spike," the empath chided, "she asked a question, and I never let any woman go wanting." He winked, and continued. "Fangy here is feeling rather territorial again. He's just bursting at the seams to kidnap you and run to the ends of the earth." Abruptly, he sent an accusatory look the vampire's way. "It's been a bitch to ignore you, by the way."

Spike felt a growl welling up in his throat. "Blake..."

Buffy touched his hand, cutting off any threat. The look she sent had him quieting, the one she gave Blake had the empath leaving the room with an understanding nod.

Buffy released a sigh, and looked at her boyfriend again, setting down her empty mug and scooting closer. She titled her head, her eyes patient but expectant.

Spike just stared at her. "I'm not ashamed, Buffy," he started off, "I want you safe. It's the most important thing in the world to me that-... that you are. And..." He scoffed softly. "If I hadn't let you run off, this wouldn'a happened."

She grabbed the sides of his face so fast, and forced his gaze to meet hers. Buffy shook her head with a scowl, and then croaked, "It wasn't you fault."

He looked at her with a self depreciating glint in his eyes. His nostrils flared once. "I didn't stop you from leavin-"

"*I* ran." Steel coated her voice, fierce order in her hazel green eyes. "You came after me."

"An I was almost too late," he replied angrily.

"But you didn't push me!"

Buffy froze after she said it, nearly shouted it. She had forgotten about her half-made theory. The sensation of being shoved down the riverbank... She'd lost any coherence when she was in the water, and then had been too preoccupied with relief and happiness and exhaustion afterwards to think on much else. But now, as Spike stared at her with new, sharp focus, she realized- remembered. And her confession was very, very true.

Someone had pushed her, nudged, shoved- Whatever. Someone had wanted to kill her, and they had almost succeeded.

*Spike is going to explode.*

***

He did.

Violently. A couple pieces of furniture were lost.

Buffy had retreated to his bedroom after being interrogated. Strangely, not just by Spike.

As a matter of fact, he'd only asked her if she was sure before gathering the fury and fear necessary for shattering two wooden chairs into bits and then tossing the pieces into the fireplace. After that, the others had come in to figure out what was happening. Then, of course, came the explanation, followed by many, many questions.

What had she seen, did she remember a face, a voice- Anything at all besides a blur of movement and the slight pressure that had been needed to get her into the river?

Her answer was simply no, and that didn't calm anyone down.

The guys had all vacated the kitchen and moved into the living room next. Dylan getting on his computer to look up God knows what, Stevo and Ace still interrogating, Rex fuming in the corner, Blake trying to calm Spike.

"It was Flora, that vindictive bitch. I'm going to-"

"Spike, I know you think it was her-"

"It was!"

"-but you can't be sure." Blake groaned when his friend's demon face came up. "Will you try and control yourself? I know you're all ready to nail her to a wall and try out hundreds of torture methods but-"

"And invent new ones," the vampire growled.

"Spike, you can't do anything if you don't know where she is. You don't even know if she did it!"

"It HAS to be her! If it isn't then there's another threat none of us know about, and this time it's directed at Buffy!"

The room fell silent for five dead seconds. Then, Spike stormed out. He headed towards the Serene Room, Buffy believed, but she didn't have a choice in whether or not she went after him because she was bogged down by questions again. Dylan started looking up demon hangouts that just happened to have websites, places they might be able to find somebody who could provide information on Flora's whereabouts.

Not many in the group seemed to think it was anything else, Flora looked like the most likely suspect. Buffy only wished that Stevo was as positive as the others. She knew Spike was unsure, though he loathed to be, but that had more to do with his protectiveness than any severe suspicion. Stevo, on the other hand, was Mr. Logical, and he too was uncertain.

It made her nervous. Flora as the culprit was both reasonable and had a simple explanation. A new threat, though, added complications.

Buffy retreated to Spike's bedroom on a claim of fatigue. She got several offers to help her up the stairs, to which she'd tried not to laugh but declined with kindness.

Now she lay in Spike's bed, missing him even though she could virtually feel his agitated presence in the house. Somehow, she didn't doubt that it would take no more than a second for her to realize he had left should he step outside.

Buffy let out a long sigh, and welcomed the weighty sensation in her eyelids. She needed rest; no more worries, just for a little while.

And she prayed to whoever listened for the safety of her family, the dead and the living.

***

Spike fingered a smooth flower petal. He didn't know where she'd gotten the blooms, had no idea what they were called, but at some point Buffy had filled some vases.

The flowers were just starting to wilt, so it couldn't have been too long ago. Colors of deep purple and orange, pink and green, made the room that more inviting, more homey. The curtains were closed, three vases displaying pretty foliage, and there wasn't any dust.

He wasn't sure if he could thank Buffy or Ace for that. The latter had a thing about neatness sometimes, especially if the area had started out that way when he'd first seen it. Buffy, however, had taken a liking to
this room, Spike knew. Perhaps that was why he'd come here in an effort to calm down.

He admitted he had lost his head before, fangs bursting and two nice chairs turned into kindling. He also didn't care.

The idea of Buffy dying... It made him flinch away from unseen things. Made his gut ache. The fact someone had tried to kill her... to take her from him...

Spike unclenched his fist very slowly, and breathed in, then out; his jaw was tight. There was nothing that could send him over the edge faster than something coming after Buffy. If she hadn't met him, gotten involved with someone who had enemies everywhere, she would be safe. She wouldn't be in the line of killers.

But it was too late.

And he would see the person that had touched her dead at his feet before long. No one hurt those he loved. Absolutely no one.

Until Flora was killed, Buffy needed to be better protected. And barring locking her up all Rapunzel style- to which he knew she would object -there weren't many options.

He needed to teach her how to fight. The minute her throat was healed up, he'd take her into the basement for some simple maneuvers, he'd get her using weapons, he'd spar gently with her and teach her some dirty fighting tricks. A lot of survival had to do with brain more than brawn, and he'd teach her all that, too. So would the others. Spike would have Buffy on the best guard possible before long.

Of course... there was one thing that could be done to give her strength right away, something that would tie them together as well as help keep her safe.

He'd be able to sense her. She'd get stronger, pick up fighting skills quicker...

And he wanted it.

Spike strode from the room, leaving behind flower vases that were filled, and he hoped would always be.

***

She awoke with teeth at her shoulder.

In her blurry senses, Buffy grabbed his arms and gasped, her eyes going wide. She almost pushed him away before the sensations hit, like sparks beneath her skin.

She arched involuntarily when Spike's arm wrapped about her waist. If he bit any harder he could rip the skin, if he fanged out he would.

Buffy wasn't sure why it didn't scare her. Perhaps because she trusted him; and perhaps because she loved him and didn't care, almost wanted it.

"Spike...?"

He pulled back abruptly, his eyes flashed golden and Buffy looked on questioningly.

The vampire pulled her up, positioning her legs around his torso so she sat half on him and half on the mattress. He stroked her arms, trailing loving warmth along her skin while visibly fighting for control.

He looked unsure yet determined, and a little afraid. Buffy frowned, but didn't try and speak. She thought he needed time to phrase something... or at least explain why he'd woke her up with a bite.

Then he said something else.

"There's somethin called claiming..."

*Diving right in, then, eh mate?* he thought to himself.

He hadn't long to ponder on how he would bring this up to her. The decision was made quickly, not hastily, but with a desperation behind it. He not only wanted Buffy with him for as long as time would allow, but longer than that. He wanted their hearts bound by every conceivable thread, he wanted her blood on his lips and his body tied to hers.

He'd been afraid to ask her once, now he was aching with the effort to get the words out quickly without buggering it all up.

Spike looked away from her eyes for a moment, then collected his courage, and continued. "S'a strong magick connection between a vamp and a chosen... mate." He saw the widening of her eyes, and continued quickly, with worry nipping at the heels of his... proposal, for lack of a better word. He scoffed. "The few differences between one and a real marriage is..."

Buffy suddenly shook her head, a deep line between her brows. "Spike- What are you talking about? Are you asking me to- to marry you?"

Spike almost chuckled, but not quite. "Sort've. See, claiming... being mated to a vampire is permanent. There's no divorce if you decide the whole ride into the sunset went sour. You're both stuck with each other... forever." He stared hard into her eyes, trying to hide his vulnerability at all costs but unable to look away. "You'd be immortal, and stronger. We'd be linked. I could feel you and we'd- we'd sense each other. And if another vamp ever tried to bite you, he'd get a mouthful of burnin plasma 'stead of a ripe snack."

Buffy took a few moments to blink. Then, when the words truly hit, when she understood why he was asking this of her, she tugged her arms back. She sent him a glare that, by his worried, wounded expression, Spike didn't understand.

"You would use this to make me stronger? To protect me?"

He opened his mouth to reply but she shoved away from him and scooted father up the bed, her scowl dark and hurt. "I don't believe you."

"What-"

"Wait, I take that back," she interrupted, "Of course I believe you. You're so paranoid, it's totally expected you would try to make me stronger no matter what, even offer up your own freedom as a sacrifice. You're just so selfless, Spike."

"That's not-"

"You're worried about my safety." She shook her head in an effort to ignore the burning behind her eyes, and let a convulsive swallow go down her itching throat. "That's the only reason why you'd..."

He wasn't sure if she was saying no or arguing over the validity of all this. He'd woke her up expecting to either get a refusal or a contemplative "maybe," but not anger. "Buffy, I- I want you safe, yeah. But that's not the only reason I'm askin you this."

She looked at him, her entire face clouded by invisible glass that threatened to crack. A veil of hope, a cover of sadness, uncertainty... He didn't know why it was all there, could only assume she was scared.

But she didn't look scared. This was Buffy, he knew his girl, and seeing her frightened was one of the most seldom things to ever happen; he recalled only once witnessing her scared, and that was by a box of pictures. She was not scared now. She was... hurt.

Buffy tried not to flinch when he took her hands, and looked her in the eye, suddenly anxious. He said, "I want you. I've wanted you as my mate long before I even knew what havin one meant. 'Fore I could remember it at all." When she didn't respond he moved closer, and a new sort of desperation shaded his vision. "I love you. This whole matin business will make you stronger and it'll make it so I can sense you, know where you are, but I wouldn't be giving anything up for somethin like that. It'd be a bloody GIFT, Buffy. Don't you understand?" He shook his head at her, a path forging as she felt tears leaking down her cheeks in silence and prayer. "I want this. I want it more than I want blood. And I was gonna tell you before now but the moment passed an I..." He sighed, and pressed her hands. "Knowin you loved me- Least, I'd hoped... but hopin an not knowin for sure seemed the better option for a while there."

She understood that all too well.

Buffy had to swallow several times before she could answer him, and let out a long breath before even attempting to speak. "Y-You- You want... that? With me?"

"It means never havin to watch you die."

He said it so matter of fact, she lost her breath for a moment. Then he continued on.

"You'd be my mate, Buffy." Spike brought her closer and lowered his head to her level, their gazes locked, a heartbeat drumming the world into silence beyond one vampire's words. "You'd be linked to me, an me to you. You'd become immortal... like me. But you'd still have sunlight and a pulse, and if we have a spat we'll have to work it out; there'll be no giving up on this. But I hadn't planned on that anyway. Even if you did shove me off, I'd still bloody follow you 'til the end of the world. This is it for me, Buffy, you're my sodding 'ever after,' whatever rot you wanna call it." He pressed their foreheads together, and said, "You're it."

And just like that, there was no more will, no more self control. Every wish had been granted, every need had been tended in her heart, and her soul prayed to be shared. It was the end, her "it" was right in front of her, too.
______________________________
Don't hate me for being a little late again, I apologize. The next chapter I will try and give you smut! Also, please leave a review for this one, I adore them! Thanks for reading! *hugs*
Chapter 32: Today in My Sight, Tomorrow Mine by Linnae13
Dishes were clinking, that was the offending racket behind every thought in her head. A glass of wine was filled, laughter echoed, the dim lighting shrouded rather than beheld the faces of people Buffy barely knew.

Thanksgiving dinner was coming to a close- At least, that's what the encouraging part of her brain told her.

It had all gone smoothly enough, but "smooth" didn't exactly say much for comfort. Rather, it fell under the "Let's see how many times I can quickly shove food into my mouth to avoid answering questions" category.

Meg Stovall was a gracious host with an almost southern belle air to the way she did things, from showing people to the table, to cleaning it. The house was large but homey. Friends chatted and hugged like they hadn't seen each other in years, when really it had likely been no more than a week for anybody. Grams was in her social element.

Buffy put up a personal fight with her loner instincts in order to be more than just courteous, and she only did the can't-talk-with-a-full-mouth thing four or five times this entire evening. People asked her enough questions, and sometimes when things got too personal, Anne managed to deflect. If Buffy weren't so distracted she would have acknowledged the help more; Grams was like a managing, social butterfly.

She needed looking after, too. The company was a genuinely nice group of people, and the children weren't too loud, and the food was all good, but Buffy's mind was elsewhere.

Spike had asked her to be his mate.

Now logically, she was wary. Realistically, she had already made a decision. Emotionally, she wanted it more than she wanted to breathe.

She reached out and gripped the thin stem of a wineglass. Her head hurt.

She swallowed a heavy sip of port and set the goblet back down in its place, heaving a sigh into the air of chatter. The first thing she was doing after this meal was going over to Spike's.

She had invited him to dinner, sure; in her heart she always wanted him near. She hadn't really been begging when she'd asked, though. She didn't want him to meet Grams at a get together where Buffy didn't know anybody well enough to call them by a nickname. It was hard enough trying to open up to these people Grams called friends, she didn't want to worry about Spike, too.

Besides, he didn't celebrate the holiday anyway. He'd told her so. The other guys didn't either, so they weren't like, left out or anything. It wasn't a big deal. None of them cared, Spike in particular seemed to be completely fine with it- Okay, she was a chicken.

Buffy sighed as she took a halfhearted bite of the cold mashed potatoes on her plate. After he... proposed- She still wasn't sure you could call it that, but not the point -she'd had to fight herself in order to prevent from splitting in two.

One side of her was screaming that she needed to research and seriously think before she committed to something so foreign, and not all that common even in the supernatural world. The other side of Buffy had her virtually running into Spike's arms with neck and body bared, questions be damned.

It frightened her how much she wanted to be linked to him, felt like it had been something she'd been meaning to do for so long and had only now figured out what that thing was. She loved Spike, and the threat of forever did not scare her as badly as it probably should, not if she was with him. It hardly felt like a threat when she cared for the man this much.

She'd told him she needed time, and Spike had accepted that, but truthfully all Buffy needed to figure out was whether it was a smart decision to do this NOW.

She'd gone to the library and checked out that one vampire book with the realistic drawings inside it, and she'd found a short chapter on mating; it told her the same things Spike had. She'd then asked for Stevo's knowledge on the subject, and pleaded for Dylan to research. It didn't bother Buffy if they knew, and the group all seemed to approve of the idea, especially if it gave her superior strength right away.

Ever since the river incident, the guys had been extra protective and aware of her. Buffy had to force herself not to get annoyed with them at every turn. They were only worried, and for reasons she couldn't exactly begrudge.

This mating thing was Buffy's main worry at the moment, though. She'd explained to Spike that sooner or later, he'd get his yes, she just wanted to know more about the claim. Needless to say, her vampire was spending nearly as much time on the computer now as Dylan.

Buffy sighed. She really wanted this to work, she just wasn't sure if NOW was a smart move or not.

"Buffy, are you ready to leave?"

She snapped back to the present, facing her grandmother in a startled reaction. "I- What?"

Anne smiled. "I asked if you were ready to leave yet."

"Oh." *Nice, Buffy, now look past her as if you don't see her, that'll make your grandma really think you don't like her.* "A-Are you sure you're ready to go?" she asked, "There's still dessert..." Buffy looked around, noticing for the first time the half eaten pumpkin pie and mini-cakes left on the near empty table.

She met Grams' warm eyes again, and with total lack of poise, asked, "Isn't there?"

Anne looked at her in sympathy. "Sugar, you alright?" She tapped a finger against her own temple. "I can smell the wood burning. You're thinkin 'bout something and it is drivin you batty, whatever it is."

Buffy blinked. *Leave it to Grams...* "It's nothing. Really. I'm just tired." That was true enough, she'd had plenty of trouble sleeping last night, even with the amber charm around her wrist.

The old woman gave her a sideways look with eyes too wise for Buffy's comfort. "This wouldn't have anything ta do with that secret boyfriend f'yours, now would it?"

She almost choked on air. "W-What- Grams- There isn't- I-I-"

"Don't bother tryin to hide it, dear, I've known awhile." She nodded sagely. "And I also know who he is."

Buffy was past the ability to form an actual sentence now. She just said, "Huh?"

"It took me a damn long while, I'll tell ya. I've only seen the young man 'bout a hundred times since he's lived here, but I never cared about knowin his business like some of the people 'round this town." She rose a thin eyebrow, and there seemed a new ability had sparkled in her, a hidden spy living behind old eyes. "Gotta be grateful for the snoops, though, when your granddaughter's datin a strange man. The only one in town who don't socialize with the rest of us, no less."

Buffy chewed on her lip, only letting go to reply, "Gr-Grams, I- I was going to tell you. I just wasn't ready for that yet, and I didn't know how serious things were going to get."

"Well, are they serious now?"

Buffy swallowed. She took in the understanding expression she received, and looked down at her plate. It had been cleared and a new one of smaller size sat ready in its place, beholding a tiny powdered sugared cake with a maraschino cherry on top. "Very," Buffy replied.

"And that's what's been on your mind, huh?"

She nodded, grabbing the cherry and plopping it into her mouth.

Grams reached out and took her hand, causing Buffy to look up. She was met with acceptance beyond reason imbedded in loving, familial eyes, and the worries seemed to pause. "You know how I knew you were seein somebody?" she started, then continued before Buffy could even answer. "Your face. You've lit up since you've been goin to that library, and then one night when I thought you'd be there, I couldn't find ya. I asked Margie behind the counter if she'd seen you, said you'd left with that stranger man everyone in town knows nothin about. The one with the 'funny hair,' she said, and then I was positive. And you've never texted me before in your life."

Buffy laughed with her Grams at that last part, and realized belatedly that there were tears in her eyes. She shook her head and wiped them, feeling silly and looking up when Anne tightened the hold on her hand.

"You're a smart girl, an that's why I didn't bug you about this. I knew there was somethin goin on, and I knew with who. Once I got his name and address, I didn't mind much not knowin the details of things. I figured you'd tell me when you were ready." The woman suddenly got this twinkle in her eyes, and it looked suspiciously like faith and support and approval all rolled into one. Anne said, "And if he is the reason for that smile that's been on your face as of late, then I don't really think 'serious' is such a bad thing, 'Lizabeth."

***

"You're a fucking moron if you think that."

Dylan turned on Rex, aggravation in his eyes changing them to a molten brown as he yelled, "It's a perfectly reasonable explanation! And we've been throwing around more farfetched ideas all day but THIS one you decide to denounce without hesitation?"

Rex narrowed his eyes. "I don't think-"

"Oh well there's a surprise," Dylan muttered.

Stevo stepped in, bringing the fighting to a halt as he put a hand out. "Okay, that's enough. Tone it down."

"When he decides to stop being so difficult I will."

"He's making up crack-head ideas!" Rex shouted.

"Enough!" the man yelled, effectively silencing the room. He sighed, wondering if Buffy might be by tonight. Perhaps she could calm everyone down, certainly Spike.

As soon as she was nearby the vampire might actually take a breath (figuratively speaking). He'd been pacing a hole in the floor for a couple of hours not long ago; it was his new routine every time they weren't together. That, and the incessant foot-tapping while he researched claims on the computer.

Stevo rubbed his eyes. Thinking again on Dylan's newest theory, regarding why the attack at the bar had been so violent the other night. It seemed incredibly simple and almost dull compared to the drama going on lately. The fact the vampires might have been paid by Flora to help get Spike's ashes in a jar wasn't nonsensical; it actually made the most sense in the world. Stevo didn't know why they hadn't thought of it before.

Perhaps the amount of vamps were so many that no one believed somebody would want Spike dead that badly, and if they did, then why weren't the vampires all out searching for him instead of getting wasted at a little hole in the wall joint with awful music? Were they just lazy? Being paid by the hour? It was a questionable lead, but still the most logical one they'd come up with so far.

And that did not explain why Rex was so against it. Stevo's earlier theory- though now on the backburner -definitely played second to Dylan's. This mystery witch being involved with Flora was a possibility, but unlikely because witches did not like pairing up with vampires for business. A few reasons being they were untrustworthy, often indolent unless threatened, and selfish.

"Rex," Stevo asked abruptly, "why do you dislike this idea so much?" The thunderbird swung his head around and yellow eyes caught Stevo's in a stronghold. The gypsy rose an eyebrow. "It bothers you- No. Frightens you."

Rex's wide jaw made an audible sound before he replied. "Yeah. It fuckin does." The room went silent. "Because now Buffy's caught up in the middle of this, which means Spike is in more danger 'cause he's off his game if SHE'S in danger- And don't think I'm not worried about the little human. Add in this Flora cunt creating her own personal army of the undead just to kill Spike, or kill someone he cares-... knows, like Buffy or any of us, and I don't fucking like it."

"It's what we've always done, Rex."

"I hate it when we can't see the threat!" he bellowed.

"I'll second that." Ace strolled in from the hallway looking spent and resigned, which was never good. "No luck on the Q&A down at Mason's, everyone there was tightlipped or too plastered to spell their own name." He plopped down on a stool by the island as Blake came in next, tense and looking irritated with life itself.

"Those demons were not only more disgusting than usual, but not a one claimed to know of a vampire in the area with the name Flora- Honestly. We broke more than enough noses. The bitch might be using a fake name."

The room joined in a collective groan, and Stevo went for the coffee pot to pour himself some energy. "What was the place like, the website said it was... 'quaint.'"

"It was a cesspool," Ace replied, "there were week-old Codger remains mopped into a corner."

"How could you even recognize them if they were that old?" Dylan asked.

"The stench was enough, believe me." Ace tilted his head and crossed his arms, leaning back to frown at the ceiling. "Still wonder what an old fogey like that was doing in a bar."

"Maybe he had a fight with the missus," Dylan supplied.

"Well, then he's outta one kind of hell," Blake said.

Ace made a sound like a half-released chuckle, then sat up. "Speaking of hell. Spike still visiting?"

"Oh, you mean is he still pacing like a caged wildcat, taking shots and abusing Google? Yeah." Dylan answered.

"Last I saw him he was taking out some frustrations on the punching bag." Rex added.

Blake rolled his eyes, whining dependently, "When's Buffy getting back?"

"I'm not sure if she is coming by today, it's Thanksgiving, remember?" Stevo replied.

"Oh, that's why all the stores were closed."

"If she's here he'll calm down," Ace said matter-of-factly.

"I know, but I don't think he'd be very happy about her getting here on her own. The sun is going down."

"But does she ever listen?" Rex said.

Stevo gave him a sideways glance. "No, not usually."

***

Her throat had completely healed. Her heart was beating with a steady thump-thump. Her legs worked, muscles were not sore. She was wearing something unusual in its pleasantness and familiar to her old self. Heeled black boots crunching leaves of numerous shades as she walked, an off the shoulders shirt of burgundy, and a long black skirt that had a slit on one side up to the knee. Her legs brushed beneath the material, and the wind toyed with the hem.

Buffy moved briskly farther and farther from her house, a usually personal bag filled with wrapped up leftovers instead of books around her torso.

New courage ran in her blood. It was a nice, invigorating feeling, delivered once one made a decision that had been laying so heavily on the mind.

She'd known she would say yes to Spike's proposal, there had not been a doubt once he'd told her how he craved it. The main question was focused on time. When? Was it smart to rush into it now? Did she mind being in a nineteen year old body for the rest of eternity?

No, she did not.

But her answer was to postpone the mating.

Buffy took out her phone and dialed the house.

Decisions like this were supposed to be made when the time was right, when it happened, not when you decided to make it happen. No rushing. No forced urgency, but the real, unplanned kind. She wanted that.

She listened to the ring as she continued walking. The sun sprayed colors of pink, purple, and gold across the deepening midnight sky. She moved a little faster.

Spike, nor Buffy, liked the idea of her walking all by herself. Not anymore, while there were enemies about. But she wanted to get to Spike's place, and she was calling him so he knew.

Besides, she might not feel comfortable doing it, but no one was going to stop her from walking alone if she really wanted. And Buffy had a stake on her. She'd made it last night, when no books called and distance from her lover seemed smartest.

That was hard. Her fears had made it easier to be away from Spike for the past four nights, but her heart yearned like a mourning dove for its mate.

*Huh, funny you would think of that word, Buffy. Wishing on the proverbial star much?*

Thing was, she wasn't wishing for anything too far out of reach. She could be mated to the vampire she loved by the end of the night if she wanted, and that was a comforting thought.

"Hello?"

She released a relieved breath. "Dylan? It's Buffy."

There was a startled pause on the other end of the line before he said, "Buffy? What's up?"

"I'm walking over to Spike's right now, I just wanted someone to know." She heard Stevo ask a question in the background, which Dylan then repeated.

"Are you alone?"

"Yeah," she said, "It's why I'm calling. I just didn't feel like getting yelled at once I got over there." She heard some shuffling before Stevo's voice sounded in her ear. "Where are you, Ace will be there in a moment."

"Literally like three minutes away... He doesn't have to come, I'm fine. You guys can hear me talking and everything."

He wasn't convinced. "What direction are you from the house?"

"Um..." She stared at the setting sun. "East."

Ace arrived in a blur after thirty seconds had passed.

Buffy bit back a sigh, and spoke into the phone again. "He's here, I'll see you all in a minute."

She stuck her cell back inside her coat pocket and tilted her head at the man. His auburn hair looked a little windblown and laid nicely around his face. He had to have run, but did not seem out of breath and wasn't sweating. "Ya know, if I could get some of those superbeing perks, life would be a whole lot easier."

He fell in step beside her, any response to her comment falling away when Ace took in her appearance. She had on an almost elegant black skirt with a peek-a-boo slit, and heeled boots. She looked taller, even leaner if that was possible, and he had to wonder what was under the coat.

"You're dressed up aren't you?" he asked.

"Thanksgiving," she answered. "My Grams bought me the clothes." At first, Buffy had felt jeans and her white blouse would do just fine for dinner. After a look in the mirror, though, she finally had to admit that Grams did have very nice taste.

The boots were a little awkward to her feet when she'd put them on, the skirt a bit in the way, the shoulder-showing top difficult to pull off because she was always catching herself slouching. But the confidence after seeing herself dressed got Buffy to suck it up. She gladly reevaluated her choice to wear only comfy, lazy-day clothes and pulled some of the past, fashion-aware Buffy back to the surface. She was glad to be in heels again.

She had Ace's complete approval. "You look very nice. It's... It's different to see you wearin something besides jeans or sweats," he said.

Buffy looked at him, hiding a smile and raising an eyebrow. "Are you saying I look BAD in what I usually wear?"

"What- No! No. You look fine in your regular clothes. I-" He shook his head and swallowed when she stopped walking, crossing her arms over her chest. Shit. "I- I mean, you always look nice. This is just a different kind of nice."

She tried not to, but after a moment Buffy couldn't help it and cracked a smile, then started to laugh. Ace was confused, she saw, and that only made her chuckle louder. "I'm just messing with you. Relax."

She started walking again. It took the bewildered male as long to catch up in stride as it did in his brain. "Oh. Not funny."

"Yeah it was. And thank you for the complement." She smiled at him.

Ace rolled his eyes, but grinned back all the same, wondering if Spike knew how lucky a guy he actually was.

***

"We're back!"

"And I brought goodies!" Buffy smiled at Ace's startled expression as she was walking towards the kitchen. She hadn't told him about the food, but it only took a minute or two to say her hellos to the others before unveiling the number of leftovers she'd brought them from dinner.

So they didn't celebrate Thanksgiving, it didn't mean they couldn't eat.

"What'd you bring?"

Buffy popped open a container, a sweet smell following the sound. "Cranberry sauce, for starters."

She quickly laid everything out on the covered countertop, moving things and shuffling papers, setting aside coffee mugs, tossing trash away. She set out the Tupperware filled with hot turkey and ham slices, stuffing filled with bacon and celery, steaming green beans, peas and potatoes, and several gooey brownies.

"Dig in, guys."

They started helping themselves, all saying thank you and very readily grabbing forks and napkins- Well, SHE got the napkins. The guys just went for the forks and started eating out of the containers.

She shrugged. At least they were half civilized.

"How come you didn't tell me you had this stuff in your bag?" Ace asked, trying to poke at a piece of turkey and shove Rex out of his way at the same time.

"I didn't want you hounding me to get the first bite."

"Ha!" Blake laughed as he threw a full brownie into his mouth. "Shmlart wohman."

"What did you say?"

"He said I was smart, Stev. Though it was hard to make out since he's being such a pig."

"Yeah," Ace said, "You left me to fend for my food with THIS group. I might never eat."

Judging by the spoonful of cranberry sauce he'd just swallowed, Buffy was sure he would have no problem filling up.

Then again, these men did tend to consume a lot.

"Maybe you guys should get plates?" she suggested.

There was a collective and negative "mm mm" that made Buffy worry Spike would be the one to miss out. "Where's Sp-"

"He's in the basement," Dylan answered, just before shoving some more ham into his mouth.

"Last I checked he was still-" Rex paused to swallow a forkful of buttery mashed potatoes, "-workin on the punching bag. Blake, get the salt will ya?"

Buffy couldn't help a little smile as she watched Blake speed by, grabbing both salt, and chili powder, from an overhead cabinet. He moved back to the containers of quickly depleting food and passed Ace as the man went to get beers from the fridge. Then, there was a lanky kitty on the island, meowing and sniffing at the cold turkey slices. Buffy smiled in sympathy for the only other female in the house, and said, "Make sure to give her a little bit, guys."

Their heads all turned up. "She's a cat!" they shouted in unison.

Buffy planted her hands on her hips and gave them a look. "Yeah, and a couple scraps won't kill any of you. She's barely eight pounds."

"But she eats like a trucker," Rex groused.

As if Princess knew Buffy was fighting for her, she sat down right next to the turkey container and lifted her head in the haughty way only a cat could. Buffy rose an eyebrow when Blake moved a hand to protect the meat.

The empath rolled his eyes, but begrudgingly reached in to retrieve a piece of turkey for the feline. Princess started happily chowing down, and then the rest of the group slowly went back to devouring as much as they could. If Buffy wasn't mistaken, she swore they were eating faster than before the kitty had arrived to threaten their meal intake.

She shook her head, turning around to go find her boyfriend when she bumped, "Mmph," right into him, "Oh- Spike, hi." She smiled.

He looked down at her with warmth, then caught sight of the antics by the island counter and frowned. "What're you lot doing?"

"Buffy brought us leftovers," Dylan said happily, taking a sip of the big glass of milk he'd poured himself. "The stuffing's great, you should try it-" Rex hit him on the arm before the offer was finished.

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Don't worry, I saved you something special."

"Did you?"

She dug into her near empty bag and pulled out one last container, this one filled with orange looking rice. "It's risotto, my Grams made it. It's SUPER spicy, so I figured you might like it."

Spike grinned down at her when she shrugged and handed him the food. "Thanks, petal." He gave her a kiss and then walked over to the forks.

The first taste almost made his eyes roll up in his head. "Christ, that's good."

"Is it?" Stevo asked with interest.

"Back off, mate, you've got plenty of shit to eat."

"I'm sharing it with these animals, I might starve."

"You finished ninety percent of the potatoes, don't bullshit, Stev."

"Ace, I make the coffee in the mornings. Do you want to start doing it instead?"

The immortal held up his hands in surrender and went back to buttering the green beans.

"You're still not gettin my risotto." Spike looked over at Buffy and nodded. "Your Grams is a damn fine cook, love."

She smiled, and then laughed when Stevo moved closer to the hot, steaming concoction in Spike's hands. "I love spicy food," he said.

"So do I."

"You're selfish."

"Yeah." Spike took another large bite and shook his head with a smile. "I don't drink much coffee."

The gypsy gave him a look, and Buffy said, "Begging is not becoming of you, Stev."

He rolled his eyes but backed off, going over to the stuffing Dylan was happily devouring and taking a bite; then about thirteen more.

Buffy grinned once again at the content faces everyone had on. Nobody seemed to care why the food was still steaming hot, excluding the brownies. She'd warmed everything up before coming here. The walk over wasn't long enough to cool anything down, either.

She felt a little bit like Martha Stewart. Or just a mom.

The chair Dylan usually sat in was calling to her, so she walked over and removed her bag and jacket from her shoulders. She was just about to sit when she noticed the abrupt tone down of silverware clanking.

Buffy looked up and quickly realized everyone was staring. She frowned, looking down at herself- Oh.

Right. She was dressed like a girl today. How could she forget.

She decided to play dumb. "What is it?"

Rex gestured at her with a hand, seemingly unaware of the chocolate brownie he was holding. "You look different."

"So that's what was under that coat," Ace half mumbled.

Buffy rose an eyebrow, glancing down at the top she was wearing. It showed off her shoulders and had a snug fit, plain, but elongating her throat and torso. Combined with her black skirt and boots, the shirt looked dressier, too. "Are you guys talking about my clothes?" she asked.

They all nodded, looking her up and down from head to toe. Buffy tried not to smile, admittedly glad inside about the reaction she had just gotten.

Then she looked at Spike, and glad was bumped up to giddy.

He'd stopped eating, the rice dish set aside and his eyes glued. Spike took her in, gaze roaming and hot, lips parted. There was a look in his eyes, as his head was tilted and his tongue ran over his bottom lip just slightly, that brought to mind a predator.

He'd seen her naked, but judging by the way his gaze kept zeroing in on her throat and shoulders, he liked seeing her dressed up, too.

Buffy, rubbing her nape and swallowing hard, met her vampire's eyes. She smiled again at him, then at the others. Stevo and Dylan had gone back to eating, albeit much slower, yet three were still a little distracted.

"Blake?"

He blinked. "Yeah?"

"Princess is eating the rest of your turkey."

"Oh," he looked down, "Crap! Get outta there, you've had enough."

Buffy watched with trepidation and excitement as Spike approached her. The others all regained their focus on their food and she wasn't sure if she was relieved or not. That look in the vampire's eyes had her both wishing for privacy with him, and wanting to be in a room with witnesses. Not that she ever thought Spike would hurt her, maybe just devour her whole and she wouldn't care.

Buffy swallowed, glancing at Spike's hand as it touched her bare shoulder; her breath shortened. "Did you get a picture of the Gem thingy?" she blurted out.

It was the most conceivable subject change, something that would no doubt be on her mind often enough to randomly ask about it. Spike didn't meet her gaze but answered, "Yeh. Dylan has it."

"Oh. Great." She looked around Spike's body at the blonde by the ham. "Dylan, could I see the picture?"

He leaned over the island and picked up a piece of paper, then held it out for her. Buffy reached around her boyfriend and grasped it. "Where'd you finally find it?"

"In a book on my computer I never thought to look in. Apparently, something otherwise dedicated to the truth and falsities of fairy legends, can have a three page chapter about the Gem of Amara, too." He stuffed a bit of ham into his mouth and groused, "Damn writers."

Buffy fought the quirking in her lips and stared down at the photo. She tilted her head to the side.

It looked a lot like amber- Hell, it looked a lot like her nightmare bracelet. She couldn't tell if the chain was silver, too, but the Gem was colored in and held a striking resemblance to any plain old amber stone. "Wow."

"It looks like that bracelet Spike had me charm for you," Stevo said astutely, "If it's still inlaid like that picture tells."

Buffy nodded, and looked at Spike again. "You sure you didn't give me some magickal vampire power bracelet?" she joked.

He shook his head with a grin. "M'not that dense, love."

"I'd like to argue that point," Blake commented.

Spike rolled his eyes, then addressed his girl. "Wanna leave these gits to stuffin their faces?"

Buffy laughed softly and nodded. Dylan, and then the others, all sang out their appreciations for the leftovers again as Spike and her headed to the living room.

They sat on the couch and Buffy crossed her legs to take off her boots. "Ya know," she said, "I think Stevo will get to your risotto if you just leave it in there."

Spike watched her slip off one shoe, then the other. He had to admit he had always liked women in boots. Add in that slit skirt, the mouthwatering top, and Buffy looked purely edible. "I think I've had my meal, m'ready for something a little... sweeter."

Buffy's wide-eyed gaze caught his, and Spike smirked. "I haven' seen you in a few days, ya know," he said, and sat down beside her.

"We talked more than once each night."

"On the bleedin phone, for a total of three minutes every time. Two the last," Spike argued. "C'mon now, what's kept you away?"

Buffy sighed, and decided that if she was going to explain herself today, she better answer his questions. "I told you I wanted to think about what... what you offered. Remember?"

It had been the only thing on his mind since he'd last seen her. "Pretty hard to forget, pet."

"Right." Buffy took a breath, then curled herself up on the couch and turned to face him. He looked vulnerable, but it was nearly invisible. Spike had a way of masking his emotions, he would try to hide them, but his eyes always gave him away. Always. "I love you," she started, her heart rising to her throat, "So much. And I want it, Spike. I never second guessed myself on that."

Awe and hope sprung into his eyes, a surprise in their arrival for him, magnificent for Buffy to see. She wanted to hold him, that look yanking on her heartstrings like a child on its mother's hand. "And I don't want some evil... THING, making us rush anything. I want to be with you, for forever, for eternity, as your mate- Whatever. I want this, and it should happen when it happens, not be done because there something's pushing us to do it."

A hard glint of doubt entered his eyes. "That's not the main reason I asked-"

"I know that." She grabbed his hand, linking their fingers, needing to be closer. "And I also know we should take our time. Okay? I've done a lot of thinking, and never once did I consider NOT doing this, I told you it was a yes and I promise that I haven't changed my mind. I love you. I just want to let it happen when it happens, no stress or pressure. We'll..." She sighed, her guts felt like they were shaking and her shoulders felt weak. She just wanted to hear him say he loved her. "Do you understand me? Please tell me you understand me. Because I can't keep explaining myself, all I know is that I love you but I don't want to demand this happen NOW when we should let it happen in its own time."

Spike frowned suddenly, and shook his head. "Hey now," he squeezed her hand in his grip, "I understand, yeh?" he said quickly, comfortingly.

Buffy nodded, finally realizing there was a burning behind her eyes. She took a deep, steadying breath, and smiled with closed lips at him. It was hard to say she wanted to wait, harder than she realized it would be. Because she did want this, but she wanted to be sure he did, too, and so rushing for any reason was out of the question.

"And I love you," he declared.

That was all she needed to hear to make the strain disappear.

***

"This is getting tiresome."

Antonia stood at the back of the cavern, wearing a delicate, white dress that spoke of virtue the woman didn't have. She was twirling a wiry ball without its center above her hand, gold flecks spiraled outward, snakelike tendrils surrounding it and sparking out of turn. The middle of the ball was a black void, but Antonia kept looking into it, searching.

"Maybe if you stopped staring at that thing you'd have some time to look for the Gem yourself."

The witch sent a halfhearted glare Flora's way. "Sometimes it amazes me how you've lasted this long with as dumb as you are." She twisted her hand around from the wrist, snapping her fingers and making the golden ball disappear. "I was searching for it, like I've been doing for the past six months..."

Antonia sighed, and started to pace. Flora made a sound of disgust. "By looking into space?"

The witch rose an eyebrow. "You run your mouth quite a bit, do you know that?"

"It's all I have to do without my magicks anymore..."

Antonia looked at her and allowed a small, cruel smile to play on her lips. "I knew you would be missing those."

Flora rolled her eyes and mumbled something to herself.

"Ooh," Antonia said mockingly, "Calling me names now, are you? Well, if the minions you'd hired had RECIEVED my orders not to harm our little lab rat, you'd still have those powers you revered so much. Now you're just back to being your impudent self."

"I forgot to tell them."

"Yes, just like I forgot how grouchy you could be." Her indigo eyes ran over the vampire in dishonest pity. "It must be so horrible to be you."

Flora withheld comment. She hated this bitch, hated working with her at all. The only upsides had been a guarantee on Spike's demise following the Gem of Amara's uncovering, and the magicks Antonia had given her as part of the plan.

But you couldn't blame Flora for letting the new lackeys in on only one part of said deal, that SHE wanted Spike dead; she was a vampire, after all. She just cared about turning her target into ash and avenging her brother, not some stupid hunk of rock that might not even exist.

Antonia was a basket case, if you asked her. This fucking Gem might not be real- If it was, only a vampire could use it. She didn't know if a witch could harness the power for something more, but even if that was possible you had to find the thing first. It wasn't worth it at this point in her opinion.

And if Spike was supposed to find it, how come he hadn't yet? How come Antonia didn't have a crystal ball showing her everything he was doing at every turn? "If you can search for the Gem with that stupid, electric lookin thing, how come you can't see what Spike is doing?" she asked irritably.

"That's what you are for," she replied condescendingly, "And you don't know how magick works. This isn't The Wizard of Oz."

Flora rolled her eyes.

"If he would just hurry up..." Antonia muttered to herself. "Prophecies never used to take this long."

"Maybe he's a little too busy fawning over that blonde bitch," Flora grumbled.

The witch paused in her stride, raising one halting finger. "What did you just mumble?"

"Spike has a little girlfriend," Flora replied, her voice not disguising one ounce of the overpowering revulsion she felt. "He fawns over her like she's more than just some idiot human."

Antonia turned around, her eyes snapping with interest. "A human being? How strange. I knew this vampire was an exception to many of your pathetic species' rules and general... lack of complexity, but I wouldn't have guessed..." She tiled her head thoughtfully and tapped a finger to her closed lips. "Hmm... Does he love her?"

Flora, surprised by the question, rose her eyebrows but answered truthfully, "I think so." She thought to herself, *Why else would he save the brat from a fall in the river?*

Antonia paused meaningfully, and then turned around in a whirl of silk and anticipation. "And he has been needing a bit of a push, hasn't he?" She smiled. "Oh I like this. I like this a lot..."
______________________
END NOTES: I realize I am very late with this one, and I apologize, it's just that RL has become a nuisance really, I've been working more than usual for the holidays and it's hard to write lately. This chapter was like pulling teeth. As a matter of fact, I'm writing these notes before Im even finished with it so I DO finish it today and post it (finally). The next one probably won't be as late but right now it's hard to promise my usual two week update. I will try very hard, though. And I know I promised smut but after writing I realized it would be better to put it in the next chapter, so that is what I will do.
Thanks for all of the reviews and sticking with this story even when I stink at updates! I hope everybody who celebrates it had a good thanksgiving! *many hugs*
Chapter 33: Hide the Honey by Linnae13
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I won't even apologize this time, I realize how late I am and yes it's bad of me. But lots of business in RL right now, and hey! Happy New Year to everyone! This chapter is long, to make up for its delay. I'm sorry about any mistakes in here, I edit each chapter before posting but I was tired while doing this one, I still hope you enjoy!

P.S. Thanks for reviews and for reading! *huggles*
__________________________________

Buffy was dreaming of a memory. Reliving the night which was only now coming to its true end. She lay restless, but sound asleep, in her bed. Her whispers were silent, only one vampire in her mind listening.

"Spike..."

His hands ran down her legs and spread them wide, fingers dancing along her thighs. Shivering, her own hands raised above her head where he had placed them, she tried not to wriggle while he drew her top up, cold fingers touching, gliding...

"Lift up a little for me, pet."

She did as asked. Her strapless bra was bared, then quickly removed. Her skirt rode high, the slit now outlining her hip. Spike was making his way down her body at a leisurely pace, tongue tasting, tracing... Her spine arched.

Buffy's hands sought him out frantically; Spike shoved them back into place. He squeezed her wrists in silent command, and she did not move them again.

With a wandering mouth and nipping at her thighs, little tingles falling on her skin like rain, Spike pushed her skirt up to bunch around her waist. He tongued the wet material covering her, clinging to her, then tore the little garment in two.

At the sound of seams ripping Buffy gasped, and that was all she was able to do for the next God knows how long while Spike tasted and delved, releasing inaudible growls into too-sensitive flesh. Cries left her throat, and she relished the grip of his fingers on her hips as he grasped at control. She hoped for small purple embellishments of ownership to mark her skin, no matter how wrong the thought. And the soft sheets rubbed against her back with every up-thrust and pull-back like a steady reminder of whose bed she lay in.

"I won't ever let you go, you know that, don' you?"

The declaration surprised her, but Buffy strayed back from words, her vocal chords not her own. Spike's searching mouth moved up her body and took her lips in a kiss that made her toes curl. She felt his fingers dig into her thighs and spread them wider.

His hips settled between and he stared into her eyes, all heat, intensity and fire. "You're mine." He brought one hand up to trail his fingers over her unmarred throat. "Even if this hasn't happened yet..."

Buffy steadied her hummingbird heartbeat with a desperate intake of breath, her head was getting dizzy. She managed a nod and then pulled his face back to her own, taking his lips in a finalizing kiss, and she felt him slip inside.

It was owning and taking. Consuming. Overwhelming. Heat turned limbs hard and immovable except for jerky grabs and desperate holds. She moaned embarrassingly loud and fought for air with every sweaty lift of her hips, felt skin gathering in her pinching hands, nails scratching. Spike took her ankles and rose them up, putting her in a vulnerable but deepening position that made Buffy's head hit the mattress.

She arched her back the deeper he went, and whimpered harshly when he grabbed her wrists again and slowed the movement. He changed his once brutal rhythm into a slow, sensual glide. Her nerves hummed. Spike's body poised above hers, their chests barely brushing as he took and took unmercifully, held her open for himself. Her body gladly received and obeyed, her feet stayed high and her knees clamped to his ribcage even as they ached.

He whispered things to her in between nipping her throat and chin and shoulders, teasing and horrifying her with every response his imaginings wrought from her own mouth. Buffy's fists dug into the bed as she signed agreements, promises, words that only added to the blushing heat.

She promised him her body tied up, promised her legs spread and shackled, her hair spilling over his stomach and his cock in her mouth. She begged for him to stay inside her, she asked for him to go harder. She promised to let him tie her hands if only he would touch her, relinquished control as she never had before and never would to anyone else. Buffy gave herself, and received her due.

She came with a high pitched shout that might have been a shriek, but it sounded far from her ears. Spike's cock buried inside her as he ground down hard, and harder still while she rode it out. He did not stop, did not separate from her, their sweaty bodies were touching in every way. His fangs were at her throat, his demon growling as she finished in his arms and panted harshly into his shoulder.

Buffy knew he wanted to taste her as surely as she knew his fangs were less than an inch from her jugular. This was temptation incarnate. Still, she wanted to see how it would make him feel if he bit her, and wanted Spike to feel that, even if the claim was not yet happening.

"You can try it," she said. Spike looked into her eyes, amber meeting hazel green. Her lips released sweet breaths onto his face, her gaze loving and relaxed. "If you want to, have a taste."

Slight indecision, worry that he might not be able to control himself, appeared on his face. She saw it and read it plainly. But then, the next second it was gone, replaced by need and desire too strong to deny. He bent to her throat, licking where her pulse thrummed forcefully beneath her skin, as if it was jumping up to him. He bit, gentle yet rough, she flinched but for a second, and then her eyes shot open.

With his fangs imbedded in her skin, everything sparkled. Her hands clamped desperately to his head as all thoughts left the arena, her sight disappeared and she slammed her hips up into his. It arrived like lightning, unexpected and sharp. Her voice was that of a banshee or a breeze, loud yet out of earshot again. Her neck craned backwards, her legs became steel. Spike's hands lifted her up and Buffy felt a territorial snarl at her throat beneath her quickly depleting consciousness.

She'd had no idea...

Slowly, she returned home, quietly and in the arms of her lover. She was sitting up, in his lap; she didn't know when she'd done that. She felt him gingerly retract his fangs, and moaned very softly at the loss, for it was a great one. She wanted to feel them again almost immediately. She wanted to know what he'd tasted. She wanted to know if it would always feel that good.

"What... What was that about?" were the only words she could manage to get out. Her breathing began to return to normal.

Spike's arms surrounding her, touching her, soothing with their strength and promise, held her impossibly close. He breathlessly answered, "That was about the best bloody thing that's ever happened to me."

Buffy smiled.

Then woke up.

To an alarm.

It was loud, and it was unpleasant. She turned her head over and looked at her chiming phone, the device she needed but on mornings loathed.

She glared, checked the time and then made a disgusted noise. She'd gone to bed way too late last night.

Remembering her dream suddenly, the one which was only a memory of said night, Buffy had to admit, it had been worth it.

Very, very worth it.

***

She absentmindedly rubbed the healing bite wound on her neck as she made her way to Leonard's. The jagged, raised flesh wasn't too sore, just foreign. She'd had to cover it partially with makeup, and hope that nobody noticed she wasn't wearing her hair in a ponytail today.

Pig tails felt a little bit kindergartner for her, though.

Buffy huffed and undid them, gathering her hair in one hand and quickly creating a droopy, side bun that covered the scabs which looked more like dry skin with the makeup on them. She might need to consider investing in some really good concealer- Maybe that stuff used for covering up tattoos and scars?

*I wonder if I can get Spike to pay for it,* she thought to herself. It wasn't that she regretted her decision last night- God, she did not regret anything about it. It's just that this wasn't only a hickey, but a bite mark with multiple puncture holes. It was a little difficult to explain to people, you couldn't just use the "burnt myself with a curling iron" excuse.

And even if that would work, who would believe she was always burning herself? This bitey thing might become- Well, she HOPED it would become a regular thing- That wasn't bad, right? No. It wasn't. She shouldn't even be blushing.

Spike had explained that he'd known what would happen; biting always made sex better in the way of vampires and their partners. And it made her blood sweeter, he said, when she was turned on during or before a bite. He enjoyed it. She certainly did, too.

Buffy found her hand yet again at her marred throat, and rolled her eyes at herself as she removed the touch, ignoring a tingle.

It was strange being in love with a vampire, that was for sure.

***

Buffy tied on her apron and straightened her nametag, taking a deep breath before she entered the kitchen. She was working a double today.

Displaying a smile, and quickly finding Harriet, Buffy made sure she had her same tables as usual.

"Yep, everyone came in today. But it's still gonna be a long day, and you're not behind the counter for a few hours yet, darlin. Why don't you go and grab yourself a cup of coffee to have at your fingertips 'fore you start runnin 'round?"

Buffy gratefully heeded this advice, quickly realizing just how badly she needed the occasional caffeine jolt after she was moving around the diner's busy floor.

There were more people than usual. It was a Friday, which was the most hectic night for some reason. She supposed people had just regained their appetites following all of the big Thanksgiving meals yesterday. And Friday was movie night. A lot of teenagers came in around ten or so, old couples out for weekly dates filled up the tables for two. Families came for a simple dinner, and girlfriends were in and out all day long to discuss their individual love lives over coffee. Buffy would be here until closing, with the crowd fluctuating and pressing in on her for hours, but the time would pass quickly.

It was exhausting. She'd done it before, but not a double shift. She was only taking over for someone who had asked for the day off weeks in advance, and Buffy was looking forward to her paycheck, even if it wasn't a whole lot. It was still hers and it was nice to have that.

She had gotten better at listening to people, without feeling like her head might explode. Chatter became a background noise, and unless directly spoken to, she could wade in it. She had earned comfortable ground with other waitresses besides Harriet, and the busboys and cooks, too. She shared jokes with them. Buffy could even recognize the problem customers as if she'd been working here for years rather than just a few weeks.

She found herself remembering little facts about the townspeople, their last names, the usual orders, their relations to other customers.

Belatedly, Buffy recognized that she was becoming a townie.

While refilling an empty napkin holder, she also realized- with slight mortification -that she was beginning to enjoy it.

She blew out a sigh as she examined herself internally, weaving through the throng of people and back to the kitchen after returning the napkin holder to its table. She used both hands to tug on her messy side bun, tightening the do.

It wasn't a brand new thing, this sense of belonging and the emotion of enjoying it- Slightly! She enjoyed it SLIGHTLY. The comfort had come in time, over a routine of showing up to work and talking- maybe a bit reluctantly -to the customers and fellow employees. Harriet was often working behind the counter when Buffy got her lunch break, and the two of them would hangout for a while. The tall, smiley woman was bright but not overbearing, and she was kind. She set Buffy at ease.

Then, like talking to Harriet, it all became easier, nicer, to converse a little bit with the others. Leo often teased her like an uncle or grandfather might, and strangely, the comparison did not bring Buffy to the edge of tears.

Her legs and feet were gaining endurance- or just turning numb, she wasn't sure. She just knew that she was no longer as sore and tired as she had been at the beginning of this job. Her arms were getting toned from all of the tray carrying, and her mind wandered seldom.

Sometimes, she still felt like she was lost in a bog, dark and frozen in some unseen sludge; but those times were becoming farther and fewer between. She could look in the mirror at her mother's locket around her neck and imagine missing her, DID miss her, but the reflection did not make Buffy break down as it once had.

There was a time, only last week, when an older lady had commented on Joyce Summers. She'd told Buffy that she looked just like her.

Orders had been a bit sloppy afterwards, and Buffy hadn't looked anymore at her necklace that evening. Yet some foreign feeling of warmth had coated her wounds. And when she got home, out of curiosity or a desperate grasp at courage, she summoned the will to go and look at the photos in the attic.

Buffy did resemble her mom, she'd learned; even through the blur she could see it.

Each day at Leonard's, in Spike's arms, in this town, with her Grams- It was all changing her. She was learning how not to look at the ground all the time, she could get lost in a song or a book without coming back to a glaringly rough world and only wishing to leave again.

Her library was more than just an escape- Well, it had been more ever since she'd seen Spike there, really. But now it was a different kind of sanctuary, a place of past memories and more to come. It was another home. She went there happily, with a coffee in hand- The place she bought from always knew what her order was -and she could read and research for the guys, and look forward to seeing them all later.

She never found much of importance there regarding the Gem, spells, or even a great deal more on mating and vampires; but she tried. Some days she would read for pleasure only, and work with the guys after Spike came to get her.

And some days, like today, she would work at the diner, knowing he would come to walk her home once she was done. Sometimes he came in a bit early to pickup food, and sometimes the guys all came with. They'd started doing that after Spike had forgotten a couple of things on one order.

The times they tagged along were random and- Buffy believed -triggered by boredom. When they didn't, the group claimed it was because they had too much to do, even if their workload had not changed at all since Flora's initial appearance. The times they did decide to go with Spike, they said it was because he needed "supervision" when it came to ordering their food, ever since that last time.

Buffy rolled her eyes to herself. Really, it was not the end of the world if Rex didn't get his T-bone cooked rare versus medium-rare, the thunderbird could just be so picky sometimes. And Blake- man of maturity -had given three year olds around the globe a run for their money on tantrums when he didn't receive his strawberry milkshake. Even Stevo was a bit testy Spike had missed writing down an extra bottle of hot sauce.

Truthfully, Buffy didn't know how Spike had forgotten that one, but he'd remembered the jalapeño poppers. That should be enough spiciness for the both of them.

She bit her lip to stop a groan as she set a full plate down in front of a customer. "Enjoy."

Honestly, one of these days, when it was her turn to bring the food home, she was going to tell them she'd forgotten completely and that Leo had closed early. She'd let them border on self combustion before telling them she was only kidding. That'd be a nice little lesson on when to be grateful and when to complain.

*Hmm,* she mused, *Maybe Ace will turn purple if I tell him we're out of coffee sometime.*

Buffy giggled to herself and tapped her pencil eraser against the notepad in her hands, approaching her newest table. She could have so much fun with her guys and their snackage dependency.

Actually, they didn't snack. They just ate, like pigs. Giant, mutant pigs with four stomachs- Wait, that was cows. Okay, giant mutant cows.

Buffy shook her head. Her clever factor had retired about three minutes ago.

"Hi there. Would you guys like something to drink to start off your meal?" she asked her three new customers. Before they could respond, Harriet tapped her on the shoulder and then stole her pad and pencil away once Buffy turned around. "What's up?"

"It's your shift at the counter, hun. Susette can barely stand it any longer, Jimmy just won't leave her alone."

Buffy blinked before her memory kicked in. Susette was a couple years younger than herself, and had just broken up with her boyfriend for the sixteenth time. They were having a rough, teenage love story and everyone at the diner, and probably in town as well, knew when to say they were cute and when to steer away from conflict.

Buffy nodded and turned back around to tell her customers that they had a waitress switch, and then smiled at the taller woman in the matching apron. "What about the others?"

"What?" Harriet remarked. "The tables? You've only got this one full at the moment, and besides, I figure I should take em now before the Wallaces get in." She winked. "Those kids are sweet but louder than a rooster in the morning. You don't deserve that on a night you're workin a double."

Buffy shook her head with a laugh. "Neither do you, we're working the same hours tonight."

"Yeah, but I've been trained from years of knowin that family. YOU have not. Now get," she swatted Buffy on the hip with the notepad, "I think Susie's 'bout to poor a drink over Jim's head again."

Buffy felt her lips stubbornly curl upwards as she approached the yellow counter, stools filled from end to end with customers and one very frazzled girl trying to ignore a persistent, and apologetic boy with floppy brown hair, while running around.

Buffy quickly wiggled her way between people to get behind the counter, glancing up at the clock. It had been quite a while since she'd gotten in, the time was now nearing nine o'clock.

When it was busy, time had the tendency to pass rapidly, which she was grateful for. Though not quite as grateful as Susette looked when Buffy relieved her of counter duty.

Jimmy followed the girl, but Susette would be running around too much now for him to continue bothering her. Hopefully. Buffy sighed to herself. *Poor guy- Er, girl. Poor both of them, really.*

"What's the matter babe?"

Her head jerked around to meet the eyes of a stranger, his gaze glued to her. Buffy searched his unfamiliar face, muddy brown eyes and bushy brows. He had on a dirty plaid shirt with a tear in the front by his collar. His expression was open- Too open. She could see the interest in his eyes, and she wasn't sure how long he'd been in the diner, but she suddenly got a weird, unwelcome feeling at the thought of this man watching her for any long period of time.

Buffy cleared her throat. "Excuse me?"

He leaned in a little closer, his smile wide and seemingly imbedded in at least a week's worth of no shaving. "I asked if something was wrong." He tilted his head and did a once over on her front, lingering at the place where her locket hung.

Buffy bit the inside of her cheek. "Nope. I'm just fine." She turned and grabbed the conveniently placed coffee pot. "How 'bout you? Want some more coffee?"

The man didn't even glance at his half empty mug. "Un uh, I think I want something else, though..."

Buffy ignored the innuendo entirely as his eyes glittered with something disturbingly greedy. "Well, just let me know when you think of it," she said quickly, and then was off.

He got closer and grabbed her wrist. Buffy's head didn't turn as he whispered to her, his hot breath hitting her shoulder. "Oh I think I've thought of it..."

***

"Blueberry."

"Why can't we just get both?"

"They won't have both, Dylan," Blake said petulantly. "They never do."

"It's like the pumpkin and blueberry have a schoolgirl fight going on, they're never together- Never on the menu at the same time." Ace turned and looked pointedly at Blake. "And you had blueberry two nights ago. Pumpkin t'night."

"It's not like either of you can change the outcome of what they're serving tonight," Rex pointed out.

"Maybe Buffy can get some extra made or something."

"You're not puttin her through any extra trouble, stop bickering, it's just bloody dessert." Spike threw the arguers a look of impatience over his shoulder, wishing fervently on some childish level that there wouldn't be any pumpkin OR blueberry pie at the diner.

Buffy would roll her eyes at their antics, then somehow come up with a compromise to end the squabble. She had a way about her, and though Spike should feel bad about coming in with the whole group early, and no doubt end up distracting the girl, he couldn't.

He kept thinking about her. But since he's decided to go to Leonard's early, with a plan to sit and possibly catch Buffy on her break, the guys had chosen to tag along.

He was used to it, he wasn't angry, and as the chatter of five blended into the noise of this town's version of a lively Friday night, Spike managed to drift off into his own memories.

The night before had left behind some very fond memories indeed.

Spike nearly groaned aloud at just remembering the way he'd had Buffy so close to him, her throat now marked, and knowing the almost sickening sweet taste of her blood. It bordered on too much, but wasn't enough either. She was better than what his nose had first told him so long ago.

He'd never get used to the feeling of her beneath him or the taste of her blood, and similarly would never tire of such things. Hell, he craved both right now, as he walked in strides close to his friends who were no doubt discussing food. All Spike could think of was his girl in his bed, the night before, and every night in the future.

He couldn't do this much longer. She had to let him claim her sooner rather than later, lest he explode.

It had been one of the hardest things in the world last night to keep words from slipping out at the touch of her blood on his tongue. He loved Buffy. He would do anything for her, anything to keep her. And his mind was filled with her.

Idea of grandeur, maybe, the plan of forever. It was something he was sure he'd have to explain to her Grams after it happened... Personally, Spike didn't want the woman's opinion yet, not until after the deed was done.

He wasn't scared Buffy would back out, or that her grandmother wouldn't approve- Of course she wouldn't, her granddaughter was going to be linked to a vampire. Spike only cared as much as Buffy did. She might have considered her Grams' opinion already, and if so, it evidently wasn't a swaying factor.

Maybe she'd already accepted Anne Summers' likely reaction, and just hoped the woman would come around in time. Spike wouldn't mind meeting her properly before this, but she was honestly one of the farthest things from his mind.

The closest- Well, only thing really, was blonde, had a smile that could blind, legs too enticing for words, and looked cute as all hell in an apron.

And he was in love with her.

"Hey Spike."

"What?"

Dylan approached him with an innocent face that bellied the hope in his brown eyes. "Think Buffy would mind if we just ordered and ate here?"

"Since when d'you get big on socializin?" Spike asked with a frown. "Thought you were seein your computer."

Dylan glared halfheartedly at the dig, and replied, "We're going on four years now. I just don't feel like waiting for my food on my way back to her."

"At least it's a 'her,' " Blake mumbled.

Dylan's glare was harder that time.

Spike snickered softly and turned his head back as he started moving towards the diner door. They had just approached the restaurant with people coming in and out before everything stopped. It was only a split second, as Spike's eyes caught the window glass, saw past the foggy reflection of a street lamp, and then flared.

He sped inside, the door slamming behind him like a warning bell.

The guys stopped quickly before Stevo took a look through the closest window, and Blake joked, "You think he'll slow down once he's within launching distance of her?"

Stevo squinted and saw past the glare of the lights. "Damn it."

Rex and Ace looked at each other as the gypsy hurried inside, followed immediately by Dylan who looked to be straightening his glasses.

It was only a moment before the remaining three, defensive and angry, had bolted inside.

***

The jerk had smacked her ass.

Yes, she knew the term, "The customer is always right," and personally, Buffy hated it.

She had expressly DECLINED the pervert's... invitation. She had then ignored him, and if he asked for any coffee refills, she poured quick and without making eye contact.

And when she walked by, she could feel his eyes on her. It was gross, but she endured and ignored. Then, one time, walking out from behind the counter and consequently, right past him, had given the asshole PERFECT aim.

Buffy had stopped, her teeth gritting against themselves as she borrowed a sliver of control from some unseen God, before turning around.

Walking to the coffee pots, freshly brewed and hot, Buffy picked up the decaf and faced Asshole of the night, and Asshole Buddy chuckling at his side. "More coffee?" she asked in a saccharine tone of voice, and Bushy Brows nodded with a slight leer. She pointed at his cup, indicating that he should push it closer, for she was standing back, then filled it. And filled it. She filled it to overflowing and watched with satisfaction as the steaming liquid spilled over the rim and coated the man's hand.

He tore it away with an expletive, standing up and shaking his now burnt, decaffeinated ass-slapper. Buffy let herself smirk a little, but felt it slip as he shouted, "You did that on purpose!"

She shook her head. "Oh, I'm very sorry. Ya know," she set the coffeepot back down, "I can just be such a klutz sometimes." A falsely considerate smile sprouted from her hard lips, "But ya know, you should really watch where you put your hands."

"You little bitch!" He leaned over the counter, gripping his side of it as his face twisted with insulting words. The man was oblivious to the people around, the attention he was getting, and with as close as he was to her, Buffy was pretty unaware, too.

He was a stranger passing through MayBell, he had to be. No one here acted like this. No one swung their dirty fingers in her face while calling her names and made her back up into the drink machine. Her heart started to beat a bit faster.

She was, admittedly, a little scared. That just annoyed her.

The grabby stranger's eyes were flaming and unfriendly, even his friend who'd laughed at his antics of impropriety and arrogance before was now moving away in embarrassment and... caution? Crap.

"What kind of fucking service does this place hire out?! Blonde tramps that-!"

Just in a moment, a second of action, the yelling stopped. The waving hands and angry expression disappeared, and the eyes of the diner had left Buffy's prepared, watchful body language to witness a jerk hitting the floor.

Spike had grabbed his shirt collar and pulled, yanking the grubby man to the ground. There was a loud thud which could have been described as a bang it was so loud, it did not sound like flesh meeting tile. A hearty groan followed, and then Spike's angry eyes were on her face. His nostrils were flaring, his bright gaze taking her in and roaming over her body like a microscope. He was checking on her, then, he was again focusing on the man at his feet. And mercy was nowhere.

Buffy felt her breaths coming in quiet pants, deep and only loud enough for her to hear. Stevo and Ace were nearby, they came forward at once with a purpose, protective friends- No, family, to the rescue.

Ace grabbed Spike and Stevo the stranger, hauling him up by his unattractive shirt now with a new tear in it. The man was angrier than before, she could see it on his ruddy face, but the wind had basically been knocked out of him. It would take the guy a minute to complain.

Spike, on the other hand, was vocal and alive. He shoved Ace's halting grip from his shoulder and took a menacing step closer to the man in plaid, his eyes close and threatening. "You need to leave. But first, I wanna know why you were screamin at the girl." His bleached head nodded in her direction.

The man sucked in a few more clumsy breaths and Stevo, with a granite hard expression on his face, tightened his hold on the thick neck in his hands, making the stranger wince.

Blake, Dylan and Rex were there next, and Buffy realized belatedly that somehow the guys all knew what had happened- At least, they'd witnessed this guy yelling at her and bending over the counter to make his complaints heard. And they didn't like it. They didn't like it at all.

Something in Buffy's heart warmed, even as the erratic beat refused to calm overmuch.

Her own thoughts had deafened what the angry customer replied, but not the reaction it received. Blake sped forward in front of her boyfriend as Ace hauled the vampire back. They held Spike tight as he fumed, obvious but quiet. Stevo's chokehold tightened and the man whimpered in pain as his back was pulled into an awkward arch. Dylan swallowed thickly as he stared at the man, and Rex's expression didn't beg for questions.

Just then, before anyone could say much else except for Stevo remarking in the man's ear that his behavior wasn't very polite, Leonard showed up. He didn't look happy, and quickly asked what was going on. He cast frustrated glances all around before turning to Buffy.

She swallowed and gathered her nerve. "I spilled some coffee on his hand... and he uh, didn't react very well." She nodded at the strange layout of men, one held up like a prized pig and another simply held back- somewhat reluctantly -by two more. "These g-guys are my friends," she said, inwardly rebuking herself for the damned stutter.

Fortunately, she didn't have to explain much more. Leo got this look on his face, it was stormy and made him somehow look both younger and older all at once. He turned on the stranger and grabbed him from Stevo's arms like a sack of potatoes. "You're out of here, fella."

"Hey, let go of me! You've no right to lay your hands on me!" He shoved Leo off, but the older man just grabbed him again, yanking harshly as they moved unsteadily toward the diner's exit.

"You should have the same respect for those who serve you," Leonard reprimanded. He paused in his grappling to look the man in the eye. "It's either gettin your butt thrown outta here by me, or those boys," he cocked his head at Spike and the rest. The ruffled looking stranger glared at them all steamily, his sneering eyes resting on Buffy before he simply asking, "Can I at least have my fuckin coat?"

She saw the thick, mustard colored thing left on the stool for the first time, and considered picking it up to toss it to him. She just wanted the guy gone. But Dylan cut her off before she could even open her mouth.

"No," he replied plainly, any pity he might be holding for the man either masked or nonexistent. Buffy was wagering on the latter.

Infuriated, indignant, he turned around in a huff, and Leonard followed to make sure he left.

Buffy released a sigh once he was out of sight, finally noticing for the first time the amount of attention they'd all gained from the diner's occupants. Her cheeks turned red at the stares, she blocked out the whispers that barely met her ears, and averted her gaze from the crowd to find Spike's like a homing signal.

His attention was sharp, taking in her face with heated worry and concern. He approached her like it was what he'd been waiting to do this whole time. Maybe it was.

"Did he touch you?"

She frowned. "W-What?" She shouldn't be, but Buffy was blindsided.

"I caught that little comment your boss made, pet. Now tell me, did he touch you?" His voice was hard, his expression worse. Buffy sighed.

"He'd been giving me trouble, flirting and stuff... I ignored him but when I walked past him one time he slapped my butt." She shrugged tightly. "That's why I spilled the coffee."

She saw the jaw clench. She saw the fire in those blue eyes. She hastily grabbed his arm when he turned around as if to leave. "Where are you going?"

"Where do you think?" he replied with disdain.

"Spike don't, just forget him. His wandering hand got burnt for its troubles." She moved out from behind her protective counter without letting go of his leather sleeve. "Please. He's gone now."

Spike didn't look very appeased. Just when she thought he was going to ignore her and bolt after the offender, the one who had laid a hand on her, Rex slipped by them and picked up said man's mustard coat.

Buffy frowned, and Spike rose a brow. The brunette gave them a tempered expression. "I'm going to return this to him," he remarked. Then, without facing them, asked aloud, "Stev, Ace, ya wanna join me?"

They quickly agreed, and before Buffy could properly react or decide whether or not she should stop them, Blake slid up as they left the building. "Can't let him go without that, it's cold outside." He grinned thinly at Spike and her. "He might lose his arms to frostbite."

Buffy couldn't not reply to that one. "He better not lose anything!"

The three remaining men all gave her questioning looks, and she sighed loudly before whispering harshly to the protective superbeings. "A harmed enemy is not a good one to leave behind- And there is SO no way I'm letting you guys make him disappear just because he smacked my ass." Her eyes were hard, and she knew they understood that she meant business.

Dylan sighed and looked away. "I'll go control them." Blake rolled his eyes as the half-mortal left to prevent too much damage from coming to a rude man with bad taste in clothes, and Spike's jaw stubbornly unclenched.

Buffy leaned up and kissed him on the cheek, then said to Blake and him, "Thank you guys."

"No need to thank us. No one gets away with harming someone in this gang, especially our little human." Blake winked at her.

Buffy smiled.

She was part of the "gang." Even if her title was the "little human," she still really liked the sound of that.

"You're okay?" Spike asked her, his eyes yet again searching and aware.

Buffy nodded. "I'm fine, Spike."

"I'm glad ta hear it," Leonard chimed in. He came up to her, glancing briefly at Spike as he passed him. "I saw what happened before you spilled the coffee, honey. I would've stepped in sooner if I hadn't been curious to see what you was gonna do with that decaf pot." He looked pointedly at the bleached blonde and the brunette beside him. "Turns out though, I didn't really have to step in at all, I believe."

Buffy smiled softly at Leonard and replied apologetically, "I'm sorry about the trouble, I just couldn't not do anything after-"

"Don't you dare be sorry," he interrupted. "I've never seen that moron in here before and I'll be sure to kick him out if I ever do again." He opened his eyes wide at her and said, "And you be sure to call me from the kitchen, or one of the other fellas here, if someone ever gives you a rough time again, got it?"

She nodded acutely and Leonard's face softened as he gave her a closed lipped smile. Before walking away, he addressed Blake and Spike. "Oh," he said, "I saw your friends leave here with that man's coat."

The two superbeings looked at one another before turning back to him. Spike answered. "Yeh. Ya did. They were gonna return it to him after all."

Leonard grinned. "I figured."

"Did you want us to stop em?" Blake asked curiously, his eyes narrowed.

"Not at all. I held the door open for em."

Buffy got that warm feeling in her heart again as Leonard walked away, and something heavy fell off her shoulders as she turned back to see her boyfriend's approving, considerate face.

Spike leaned in and pressed a kiss to the corner of her mouth. Buffy took it for what it was, reassurance, as well as support. She felt him rubbing circles into the back of her hand with his thumb. She pulled her face away from his to look into his eyes, and with a closing sigh, asked, "So, you guys came in early. Did you wanna eat here?"

"Well," Blake answered as he plopped onto a stool, "It was an idea. But now it's definitely the plan." He looked at Spike."I don't think any of us really wanna leave you here alone any longer tonight, dollface."

"Oh." Buffy suddenly jumped and Spike's arms were around her instantly, like a ready cage. Someone, a girl, no more than sixteen, had just walked up and addressed her with the typical name of "Excuse me."

Buffy sighed again, inwardly cursing her jumpiness, and smiled at the girl, prying Spike's arms off reluctantly. "Yes?"

"I was just wondering-" The girl's large eyes landed on Spike, and she looked suddenly wary. Buffy frowned, then understanding hit when she saw his threatening expression, though she didn't know why it was there. She whispered at him to stop it and stepped around to smile as disarmingly she could at the girl. "Wondering what?"

"U-Um..." her deep brown eyes landed on Spike's surely intimidating form behind Buffy, but she bravely continued. "What time do you close?" she asked.

"Midnight."

"Thanks." The girl left quickly, walking backwards with her still frightened eyes on Spike's unfriendly face.

Buffy turned around, hands on hips, once she was out of sight. "What was that for?"

He looked over her head, breaking eye contact. "You shouldn't have ta work anymore t'night."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "I'm not made of glass, Spike. Will you relax?"

She passed him and moved behind the counter again, grabbing a notepad and pencil. Her vampire's blue eyes were still diamond hard when she met them once again. Buffy sighed. "Are ya gonna order or stand there staring at me like a dog who should be on a leash?"

Blake snorted. At his continued chuckling, Spike had to smirk just a little. "I'm a bit on edge, love. Pardon it."

"He'll stay that way for a week, just watch," Blake remarked.

"Well, he shouldn't be on edge about a young girl," Buffy scolded, her eyes on the vampire. "Now," she said, her pencil at the ready, "what'll ya have?"

The Brit rose an eyebrow as Blake started listing off orders, and asking about Blueberry pie.

***

Her strides crunched dry leaves and stiff dirt, peddles getting kicked away by her hyper feet. The girl moved as quickly as a cat but without the grace, her legs cold and stumbling. She finally made it to the meeting place, and for five minutes she waited, shivering for a reason other than the chill in the air.

Then, the woman appeared. She was wearing something ethereal looking. SHE looked ethereal.

It was the only reason the girl had done what she was told to do.

"Does he? Answer me child."

She stuttered like a baby, but she couldn't even blame herself. She didn't know why she was relaying the information she was, or who that waitress was to this woman, but she was too scared to question much. "I th-think so. H- He looked like I- Like he was going to hurt me or something when I talked to her after that jerky guy left."

The woman hummed, like she was thinking hard about something. Then, "What did you ask?"

"When the diner closed."

"Good. Trivial. She won't suspect anything since you don't live here... When are you leaving again, dear?"

"M-My parents are driving us home before Monday, I have school."

"I understand. Well, thank you for your cooperation."

She nodded in reply, and was about to turn and leave when something very dangerous, something very immature and close to curiosity jabbed at her, prodded her to ask, "Why did... How come you wanted to know if he loved her?"

The woman was quiet for a moment. Then, a frightening chuckle seeped past her lips like warmed liquor, dangerous as a flame. "Because men like him don't fall in love every day, but when they do, it can be very useful... to others."

The girl gulped, and she didn't know why the statement sounded so evil or wrong, but it did. She trusted her gut then, and turned around to leave.

Antonia waved her hand and halted the young thing, and she twisted and twirled her fingers together as she erased the memories of the night. "Now," she spoke softly, "go back to your parents and tell them you had a nice time at the little diner in town."

The witch pushed her in the back, and then left the teenager to walk alone. She'd gotten her answer.

In truth, the girl's words would have been enough to reassure her, but a spell was always good backup. Her teenage eyes could spot love in a mythic-like way, but accurately and very true. The owner of said eyes often did not even recognize this such ability, and it was known by no others. Hearts of teenage girls were huge and unmarred, trusting and hopeful. They were always open to love, and a chant had gotten Antonia the answers she needed.

A random young female, a spell, one witnessed interaction, and those big brown eyes had turned pink when she was questioned about Spike and his little waitress. That was all there was to it, really. A trivial spell from the beginning of when humans had walked the earth, simple and not hard to cast.

There was no need to ask for more, or look upon the duo herself. The witch had her answer.

___________________________________
END NOTES: That scene with the sleazy guy touching Buffy I got from the music video "Meet Virginia" by Train. I love that video and the diner in it is what I kind of think of when I think of Leonard's too. :)
Thanks for reading! And for the reviews- Which I always appreciate!
Chapter 34: Beneath Floorboards by Linnae13
AUTHOR'S NOTES: We're steadily coming to the end, but don't worry I have a few more chapters to post. I'm so happy with the reviews and I'm glad you guys are continuing to read this fic!

Hope you all enjoy this chapter, I had fun writing it!
____________________________________

Buffy was walking through aisles of antiques, diligently following her grandmother as they found different things around every turn. Christmas coming up had spurred Grams into a sort of a mood. She was already talking about the tree, and asking Buffy what she wanted as a present; that had prompted this afternoon shopping trip.

Buffy honestly didn't know what to get for her grandmother, so they'd made a deal to look at some stores in town. Anne would point a few things out here and there, naming what she liked in between looking for gifts of her own to give to friends.

Evidently, there was an annual party on Christmas day. It included food and sweet candied desserts, drinking and dancing and live music. It was held at the richest community member's home, where there was a large hall, an almost ballroom like space, perfect for such events.

Buffy wasn't even going to try and get out of it. With the way Grams talked about Christmas, and how she'd been acting ever since hearing Carol of the Bells on the radio earlier this morning, there was no cruelty-free way of telling her she didn't want to attend that party.

Buffy wouldn't say a word. Perhaps, she could get Spike and the guys to come...? That might be a little awkward, but her boyfriend had to meet the family sooner or later, right? And it was only one family member.

Give or take a few dozen townsfolk.

But if the others decided they wanted to tag along, maybe it would be easier. It would certainly even things out when meeting Grams at least, that woman didn't cower against any man, but she might be a little less... probing, with more newcomers around.

However, it would probably be more difficult getting Spike and friends to meet her, rather than the other way around. The topic of food might turn out to be the factor that tipped the scales when this conversation was brought up.

Either way, Buffy wasn't exactly excited about Christmas, but she would endure. For her Grams if for no other reason. Maybe, if she tried hard enough, she would be able to enjoy herself a little. It would all be okay. Christmas had always been one of her favorite holidays in the past.

She exhaled steadily, setting down a small clock she'd just picked up. The dust on it stuck to her fingers. Buffy brushed the tiny machine off, freeing the face of a layer of grey. She slapped her hands together in the air when she was done and watched little motes dance in the sunlight. She had always found it oddly pretty, like living glitter or something, when that happened. A sunray could stream at just the right angle, and make something as ordinary as dust look so delicate and different. Otherworldly, if she let herself get fantastical.

And it still managed to distract her.

"Buffy!"

*Oh.* She looked around and caught sight of the searching woman. "Coming!"

Buffy broke through the ray of light that had her hypnotized and moved around a tall bookshelf. She supposed, that if anyone had a right to think more with their imagination than with the less colorful part of their brain, it would be her. She was dating a vampire, after all. She had friends now who were all supernaturally endowed in one way or another. And she was with them as often as she was with her normal, human grandmother. It made sense Buffy had an abnormally open mind now.

It had taken her a while, but she doubted little nowadays. She'd decided- she wasn't quite sure when -that such thinking was a good thing, if not scary sometimes, as well as necessary.

Speaking of scary, it was a tad frightening she was actually out of the house today without Spike. Frightening as in surprising.

After last night, Buffy hadn't thought she'd be able to leave his sight long enough to use the bathroom. She'd gone home with the whole group, only to get hooked into a game of monopoly until her eyes were too heavy to care any longer if she was broke or not, and Spike walked her back to Grams'.

The game had been a way of everyone relieving tension, and yet, her vampire had still stayed with her under too many quilts until sunrise came. The fact he knew she didn't have work later only validated his reasons for calling her at noon and asking what her plans were. She'd told him she would stay close to home if it would make him feel better, for he'd offered to come and get her the second sunset came. He'd also asked if she wouldn't mind coming to him right then, he would have one of the guys pick her up. Buffy had reminded him that if the sun was out, they had an agreement. She could walk herself places. However, he wasn't in the fairest mood about things, and so he'd only repeated his questions.

Buffy told him just to come by once the sun went down; AND he got some more sleep. She knew he wasn't supposed to be getting up yet, the man had most likely gone to bed at eight in the morning. He was just so on edge since yesterday, even after Stevo and Rex came home with bruises on their knuckles.

It got Buffy thinking that maybe she should've let Spike knock that ass-slapper's teeth out.

Well, time would just have to be his tension relief, because even if she'd thought of it before, she couldn't have actually let him do anything to hurt the jerk. It would have played on her conscience too much.

Well, maybe not that much. But still, she wasn't sure Spike would have stopped at just teeth.

Buffy's head came up as her grandmother's voice rattled her thoughts. "Sugar, what do ya think of this lamp?"

She stared at the contraption in front of them, and rose an eyebrow. A lamp... More like a circus. There were elephants and tigers painted on the stand, and it had a purple glass shade with images of dancing ladies all along the fringe that fell from it. "It's uh... different."

Anne laughed and set the lighting fixture back down. "That was my reaction, but I was lookin at it for someone who's a bit eccentric." She eyed the lamp again, finally shaking her head after a moment. "No. She ain't that eccentric."

Buffy smiled, following her grandmother again as they finally headed toward the checkout counter. Laid out before the cashier, who sat calmly with a magazine in his lap, there were two wooden jewelry boxes, a pair of crystal wine glasses, an antique letter opener, some books that might be older than MayBell was, and aquamarine earrings with gold backs.

Buffy hadn't spotted anything she thought would be the perfect present for Grams yet, so she was empty handed, but the lady herself had gone to town.

"Grams, how many presents are you buying for your friends?" she asked, hiding her worry behind a mask of curiosity.

"This is most of it. Don't fret," Anne advised, looking at her perceptively. "I know how to keep track of how much I'm spendin, dear."

Buffy nodded, allowing herself to be appeased after gauging the truth in those warm eyes. Waiting patiently for the items to be rung up, she gazed out the window at the streets surrounding town square. The sky was gray and the sidewalks were hardly crowded. Everything was dull, tired, as if people were hiding out from the gloom of this windy Saturday.

"Buffy," Anne said a minute later, "would you mind goin over there for me and seeing if you can find a perfume bottle. It's red glass, tall and thin. I'd like to get it instead of these wineglasses."

"Sure," she replied, then turned and walked to the front of the store. She twisted around some shelves to stand before the wide display window. There were more lamps here, some as tall as she. Mirrored boxes filled with costume jewelry were laid out on top of old trunks and suitcases. She didn't spot any perfume bottles though, so Buffy turned around and surveyed the tall shelving unit.

She wondered, as she looked at the numerous knickknacks and old books, dolls and little sundae cups, how an antique store might have sprung up here. Most of the houses in MayBell were probably filled with old, pretty things; she knew Grams' was. Maybe townsfolk bought things in to sell here, and then found other stuff they admired to bring home. It would create good business. Include the tourists who came through during the summertime, and an antique shop just might do pretty well.

Buffy's eyes landed on several delicate little containers up high. "Ah ha, gotchya." She reached around the group of colored glass and gently pulled out a tall red perfume bottle from the back. With merchandise as unique as the stuff in this place, business definitely had to be doing well.

She brought it close and ran her hand along the smooth, unmarred surface. It was the color of a rose, darker than your typical red, but not quite maroon. The inside smelled like orange peel.

She pressed the bottle securely to her chest and started walking around the shelves again. Then, something strange happened. Buffy's eyes caught the window again, and she didn't stop until she noticed what was so suddenly odd about the view.

It was moving.

A slight vibration started beneath her toes, then grew into a rumble. The window frame started cracking, and Buffy realized that the outside was just fine, people kept walking without trying to keep their balance. But the antique store was shaking beneath her.

*Earthquake? No, it can't be.*

"Buffy!"

She dropped the perfume bottle, the ground shifted as she spun at the sound of Grams shouting, and Buffy hit the floor. "Unh!" Her hands slipped on the trembling wood floors, her balance knocked off again before she could even make it to her knees. The glass from the broken bottle danced near her fingers, the suitcases and shelves and pretty little knickknacks all threatened to fall and meet them. "What the fu-"

"Buffy WHERE ARE YOU?!"

*Earthquake.* Her head shot up. She yelled back over the roar of the earth, "Get under something sturdy!"

Buffy started to hastily stand again, grabbing frantically at the heavy shelves that were wobbling and swaying, adding to the unsteadiness of the ground. Her grip felt like steel on a moving rope.

She finally planted her feet, trying to ignore the fact that she felt the tremors were getting worse. It all became louder, boards split as nails dislodged under her shoes and the ceiling shook. She had to find a doorway or a table, or a corner of a well supported wall. After she got to Grams. Being from California, her mom would've shot her for thinking of doing anything before getting to safety right now, but she had to make sure Grams got there with her.

And nothing was near Buffy that would keep her protected anyhow. On the beginning step of a sprint, she moved to turn the corner, letting go of the shelves that were losing their balance.

A board broke beneath her twisting foot, and with it her body came down hard, her jaw connecting with the wood. Buffy groaned, the sound indiscernible in the loud, roaring room. Her head felt like it shook with the building.

Her eyes opened after a second, she thought she saw something reflect, a trick of light from the ones currently shaking above her head. Then it didn't go away, but continued to glint from under a bent, misfit floorboard. Buffy tilted her head and reached out on impulse as she began to sit up, scooting closer.

She tore the wooden board from its crooked alignment and yanked up, then threw it against the wall. Her eyes widened at what she found beneath. Greedy fingers shot forward and picked up the shiny, silvery thing; a bracelet, and from it dangling- "The Gem of Amara."

Her breathy statement got lost in the air. The lights shook more, making the powerful jewelry in her hand wink at her beneath their glow, and the windows rattled. Buffy brought the Gem to her chest and glanced around frantically, thinking quickly as crashes sounded behind her from glass bottles and books.

Her breath came out in rushes. She saw a heavy desk with an indent for a chair not far ahead. Okay, she could crawl there- And Grams, she could reach the desk and then get to Grams. She had to.

Shit, she had the Gem of Amara in her hands! Buffy looked down at it again and decided it couldn't help her, so she'd better just keep it safe. And herself.

In all her haste she'd forgotten about the shelves.

A great rumbling followed a series of harsh thuds and splintering sounds. Buffy didn't even have time to scream.

***

The group had just woken up. Their sleeping schedules were all off. They'd gone to bed at different times, and Dylan had only needed about seven hours to be ready for the day- er, night.

Not long after he'd started making coffee, everyone else had risen, if not grumpy then certainly still grateful for his beneficial thinking. They were working on their second pot of caffeine when Rex's head shot up from his take-home version of Leonard's menu- Take-home meaning "borrowed" off of table nine when no one was looking.

The thunderbird's strange expression went unnoticed at first, until Ace looked at him with tired eyes long enough to assess that something was up. "What is it?"

Rex frowned hard at the address, and raised his head. "What?"

"You look like you're trying to... well, think," he said matter-of-factly. "That worries me. Somethin wrong?"

Uncharacteristically, Rex ignored the small gibe. With eyes squinted he said, "I don't know. I hear something."

"Hear what?" Blake asked, his brows drawing closer together as he noted the seriousness waving in the air.

"It's like a rumbling..." Rex turned to Spike. "You've got the next best hearing here. You catch anything?"

The room went very quiet, no papers shuffling or coffee pouring. The men each held as still as statues, until Spike shook his head in the negative. "You still hear it?"

"Yes..." He closed his eyes and concentrated. The wind could be heard outside before his yellow stare showed again about a minute later. "It stopped."

"What'd it resemble?" Spike asked.

"A really low rumble, almost like a growl or... No, it wasn't steady enough. It got louder." He shook his dark head. "I don't know. If anything, it sounded like thunder, that's the closest description I can think of."

"Well there ain't a storm on its way," Spike said, "I checked the weather report last evenin."

Stevo rose his brows. "That's not normal. None of us simply hear odd noises that mean nothing. Perhaps your bird hearing-" the gypsy paused, and redirected his statement at Rex's glower, "-heightened senses, are picking up on something important."

He went to pour himself another cup of hot coffee, and Ace brought his mug over to meet him. "Maybe something in town is happening." He turned to face Spike with a shrug. "Give Buffy a call? She might know."

He frowned, uneasiness suddenly settling over him as he headed for the phone. Picking it up from its mount on the wall, he mumbled, "She said she'd be stayin close to home today."

"Well being in town WOULD be close to home," Blake said. "It's walking distance from her house."

Spike frowned harder, and then harder still as the ringing on the other end of the line went on and on... and on... Voicemail.

He pressed the phone catch to get the dial tone back and redialed. *She always answers.* It rang again, until ultimately, Spike received the voicemail again.

He hung up the phone with a loud **clank,** then turned to Rex impatiently. "Come with me, we're goin to get Buffy."

He left the room and was quickly followed. "She didn't answer?" Dylan asked worriedly.

"No, and I'm gonna find out why."

"Spike, she might just be away from her phone, did ya ever think of that?" Blake questioned.

"Yeh. I did," he claimed, as he threw his duster on over his shoulders. "But I was goin to pick her up anyway, and she always answers her cell. May as well head over there now to get her."

Rex already had his brown leather jacket on, heading for the door. He opened it and preceded Spike outside into the cloudy, dim lit early evening.

"If she calls back tell her I'm on my way."

With each step the vampire took, his unease increased. He felt like something was wrong. It was as if nothing fit, like a screw was loose in a machine, making it tremble oddly. His steps sped up as his feet met hard dirt and the wind whipped his side; he turned into it and headed for town.

No. Wait. He was supposed to be going to Buffy's house. Why was his first instinct to go to town?

"Rex." Spike pointed in the direction of the square and said, "You go that way, take a look in town to see if Buffy's there after all. I'm goin to her place."

The brunette was already striding towards the main road. "Why?"

Spike shook his head and sniffed the cold air, breathing shallowly and quick. "Just 'cause. Follow your ears, Tweety."

"Fuck you, bloodsucker," Rex called out. He began his trek into the heart of MayBell as Spike walked fast in the direction of Buffy's house.

She'd better be home.

***

He approached in strides, seeing from a distance the stillness of the house. The windows were silent and dim, the sun was only now setting but the outside world was dark enough to call for lighting.

As Spike got closer he caught a whiff of Buffy's scent, and he passed it in order to make sure she wasn't inside. He hoped against his gut feeling that she was.

The vampire pounded on the door without any pretense of politeness. No answer. He pounded again.

Five seconds passed and then he was leaping from the stairs onto the leaf covered ground and heading for the back where he'd find Buffy's bedroom window. His useless breaths were shaking when he got there.

He looked through the glass, and no more proof was needed. She wasn't home.

Spike started hurriedly toward town, and with each step another tingle of apprehension climbed up his spine. Something was not right. It might be the earlier mystery of what Rex's hearing skills had picked up, but Spike had practice in telling apart paranoia from a warning. And Buffy wasn't answering her phone.

He needed to get a cell phone, he'd be calling her right now if he had one of the bloody things.

That girl was going to run up his bills. He'd need to start stealing more often. First she asks for some sort of special makeup junk for bite marks, and now this. When he found her he'd need to explain why she should always answer her bloody phone.

He didn't want to think there was a reason why she couldn't.

Spike walked faster, and ignored the abnormal chill in his bones.

***

Rex sped into town like a dog on the hunt, his heart was beating quick and his breaths were deep. The air cooled him off but the high body temperature he kept had risen with his urgency.

Immediately, he knew something was wrong. The few people that were out had all seemed to gather around the front of a small store down the street. He began moving towards the crowd, able to discern a sign hanging crookedly above the blocked doorway that read "Antiques: The Old and the Soon to Be."

What an idiotic phrase. He started to roll his eyes, but then halted mid roll to stare at the new commotion by the front door of the shop.

It was Buffy. She was being carried out by a man as tall as himself, though with a very different complexion and build. Her eyes were shut and she looked... passed out.

Fuck. Fuck fuck fuck.

He wanted to speed ahead and find out what had happened, almost did, but then he caught sight of the grandmother- He'd seen her once before in town, pointed out by Spike -fluttering at the man's side and seeming to be murmuring in Buffy's ear.

The large carrier loaded her into the back of a short little car, and the grandmother went in the front. A woman who'd been trailing behind hopped into the front and started to drive. Shit.

Where the hell were they going? What had been done to Buffy? Was she going to be okay? It wasn't hard to tell from here that she didn't look to be dying, her color was fine and he'd seen her chest moving up and down.

That didn't mean anything great, though. And his heart was beating even quicker now, his panicked eyes looking around with indecision. He never panicked. Fucking shit.

Rex began following the car holding Buffy when the engine started, and as he passed the concerned group of townies, he saw that behind them the little antique shop was nearly destroyed inside. The sight almost made him stop in his tracks; nothing else in the area looked damaged, or even out of place.

He kept moving. Enough time to figure that mystery out later, possibly sooner, actually. It didn't matter, he just had to fucking make sure that girl was okay. They'd be taking her to a doctor. Sure. Of course. That made sense, the problem was he wasn't positive a tiny town like this even had a local doctor...

Gods they better, or he was going to punch something. He could run pretty fast and probably keep pace with the car on these roads, but he'd rather reach Buffy as quickly as possible than have to hurry to the closest town far enough into the future that they actually had a damn doctor!

Rex heaved a great breath and sped on, beginning a jog now. He didn't know how long he had to go, but it wouldn't be far if MayBell was equipped with a little medical office somewhere. He moved into a wooded area once the block of shops came to an end, following the car down swerves and passing houses. He arrived at their destination within five minutes.

The car parked in front of a big two story mansion-like building, there was an iron gate and the bricks were old, crusty vines that no doubt bloomed in summer covered the house like veins. The windows up high were lively and lit, the ones below dim and quiet. It looked like people lived above, while the first floor was...

" 'Roger R. Cruse, M.D. Family Medicine.' " Rex sighed after reading the sign in the front lawn. He saw the grandmother exit the car and open the back door before the driver could exit. When she did, the woman sped around the back just as a man in a sweater and khakis exited the building.

He rushed to the open backdoor, and seemed to get Buffy out with minor issue. The guy (Rex was assuming the doctor) carried her inside, quickly and steadily.

He held his breath until he watched the four people enter the house, the grandmother wrapped around the shoulders by the curly redheaded woman who'd driven the car.

Rex sighed with aggravation, torn between going inside and phoning the guys while he stayed with Buffy, or going back to find Spike. It was reasonable to assume the vamp would head to the square once he discovered Buffy wasn't at home, probably already had.

Rex groaned. Damn it! Alright, think. If he went inside he could make sure Buffy was okay, and figure out what was wrong with her before facing a no doubt slightly panicky Spike. Slightly panicky Spike was never an easy thing to deal with, and Rex did not feel like body slamming anyone right now.

He growled and smacked his hand against a rough tree trunk, then braced his grip. If he went back to Spike he could bring the guy here and they'd both be able to watch over the girl. But Buffy was inside, and Rex was actually very worried about her. He'd done a lot of worrying since Spike had brought her into their lives, and Rex wasn't used to it. It really bugged him.

With a disgusted "Ugh!" the man turned and strode for the house, deciding that since Spike had been the one to find Buffy, the moron could wait and worry an extra ten minutes. Let him use his sniffer to locate them. He'd get there soon enough.

Besides, Rex really needed to make sure that girl was okay. If she wasn't then everyone would go crazy, including himself and the fanged idiot.

Especially the fanged idiot.

Rex ran up the five stone stairs to the door with two glass panes in it. His hand covered the entire doorknob and then some. He twisted it and walked into a den with couches and a colorful, flowery rug.

" 'Welcome to wait here,' " he read a standing sign. "Yeah, right." Rex looked ahead at the tall desk with a call-bell and an open appointment book set on top of it. To his left there were two doorways, one with a "Restroom" sign above.

He turned and went through the other, striding down a hallway with several open doors. He immediately located the occupied one.

Coming out was Buffy's grandmother and that redhead. They barely glanced at him as they exited, but his eyes followed their backs for a moment until they'd reached the end of the hallway. When he turned back to the room where Buffy sat, the door closed in his face. He groaned.

He heard voices inside- She was awake. What? She HADN'T been passed out?

"Like I told my Grams, I'm really fine. I'm only here because she insisted on having me checked out. Nothing fell on me, and I didn't hit my head on anything."

"I understand, but since you're here, why don't we just have a check anyway? It will set your grandmother at ease, I know."

"I'd rather SHE got checked out. She said she's alright but she looked a little shaken."

"I think she's just worried about you, Elizabeth."

Rex frowned at the name, and shook his head at their continuing argument.

"I'm sorry she made you carry me in. She did that back at the store, too. Someone named Andy wearing a mechanic's uniform brought me to the car." There was quiet for a few moments, filled only with deep breathing.

"Well your lungs are fine- I suspected they would be. I'm just doing a full checkup, it will give your grandmother time to fill out any paperwork, besides. And you probably mean Andy Tanner, he's helpful that way. And I don't think I've ever heard him complain about carrying a pretty female around, so don't worry about it."

Rex could have sworn he heard Buffy grit her teeth together, but she covered it with a stiff laugh. The doctor checked her pulse rate next. Once he was done, she quickly asked, "Will you please check my grandmother over once you're done with me? I know she's tough and all, but I'd still like to be sure she didn't get hurt or too upset over this."

"If I can convince her, then yes, of course. What-" he cleared his throat "-What exactly happened anyway?"

"Oh. W-Well... I don't really know. I think it was like, an earthquake or something. Maybe just a shift in the Earth. Who knows, right?" She laughed.

Rex scowled, noticing her flippant change. She didn't want to talk about what had happened, she was avoiding an explanation. As he listened further to the conversation between her and the doctor, he realized Buffy was starting to put on an act of being a bit of a ditz.

She must really not want to talk about the earthqua-

Earthquake! Son of a bitch, that was what he'd heard!

Rex blew out a disbelieving breath, and then started to think. Earthquakes weren't centered, they didn't affect only thirty or so feet of space, but the entire town square was absolutely fine, except for that one small antique shop.

This sounded supernatural. Great. Just fucking great.

He groaned again, and listened idly to Buffy and the doctor prattle on behind the door as her checkup, very tediously, came to its end. His arms crossed, leaning against a white wall the thunderbird tapped his foot while thoughts sprang up in his head like a bunch of popping balloons. He discarded one after the other, while pushing several off to the side to consider later.

One thing was for sure, this whole thing stank of Flora.

And Spike was not going to like that.

Fuck, he better call the others. It wasn't likely the vamp would head back home, but just in case he did they could tell him what had happened.

Before Rex could move into the annoyingly cozy waiting room once again, Buffy and the doctor- now dressed in a white coat, the graying at his temples easy to see -came out of the examining room. Her big eyes managed to grow two sizes at spotting him. Rex smiled tightly at her. "You okay?"

"H-How..." Buffy shook her head, blinking hard. "HOW?"

"Followed you," he replied casually.

The doctor sent Buffy a strange look, and eyed Rex curiously. He said, "I'm going to go talk to your grandmother, Elizabeth. Should I tell her..." he glanced at the man leaning and looming, "that you'll be out in a minute?"

She nodded jerkily and said, "Yes. Thank you."

The good doctor walked down the hallway and it wasn't until he was out of sight and Buffy heard him speaking with Grams that she opened her mouth. "How did you 'follow' me?"

"Are you okay?"

She sighed. "I'm fine." His consideration warmed her, but she still didn't understand how he was here- WHY he was here. "Now what's going on? Is something wrong?" Her heart skipped a beat, and her legs stiffened as she asked, "Where's Spike?"

Rex stood up straight and uncrossed his arms. "Probably sniffing around for you right about now."

"What?"

"He wanted to pick you up, but he asked me to come with and sent me in the direction of town while he went to your house. He's probably on his way here by now, I'm sure he caught my scent."

Buffy shook her head and frowned. "How'd you know that *I* was here?"

"I saw you get carried out of that place that used to be an antique shop," he said. "Followed the car here. What the hell happened?"

Buffy refrained from shaking her head again. Her mind wasn't clear and she was suddenly worried about Spike worrying about HER. He would wig the second he knew what happened. And then wig some more if he came to the same conclusion Buffy already had: That the "earthquake" wasn't really an earthquake at all.

The sudden reminder brought back three focus grabbing realities that Buffy had forgotten- Well, not precisely forgotten, but subconsciously pushed aside. First, Grams needed to be checked out ASAP.

The moment Buffy had lunged out from under that shelving unit just in time to avoid being squashed, and rammed her shoulder into the wall, the shaking and tremors had all stopped. Fallen lamps and broken glass paused their trembling so she was able to stand and meet her Grandmother in the middle, both of them hugging and nearly crying.

The old woman was unhurt, to the naked eye anyway. Buffy wanted her checked out though by a doctor. And the second thing bothering her was the strangeness of this attack- and she definitely believed it was an attack.

That same belief had her near terrified, so she ignored it.

The third and final thing on her brain? She'd found the Gem of Amara. She was wearing it around her wrist right now, and she didn't know whether the ridiculous incident and shaking floors had been meant to help her find it, or meant to harm someone in the shop.

She refused to think that most likely she was that someone.

"Buffy?"

Brought back to the present by Rex's jarring tone, she looked up at him and said, "It doesn't matter what happened... I-I don't even know. But here." She rolled up her red sweater sleeve and said, "Look at this."

Rex frowned as he stared at her jewelry adorned wrist. "Your bracelet? What about it?"

"No!" She raised her wrist and shook it in his face. "Look CLOSER," she demanded impatiently.

Rex squinted as he stared, his head tilted. Suddenly, in turn with another contemplating incline of his dark face, his eyes widened. "The Gem."

"It was under one of the floorboards in the antique shop."

"How the fuck did you find it there?" he asked in shock.

"An earthquake or something hit the store we were in, nowhere else. But the freakiness of that isn't important. A couple floorboards sprang up and this was under one of em." She internally questioned her own sanity over jumping for something shiny in the midst of all that chaos, but she'd been pulled toward it. A hunch had latched on, and with its nudging, Buffy had found the Gem of freaking Amara. She was lucky that shelf hadn't fallen any sooner.

"Beneath the floor of an antique shop?" he said with disdain.

"Yeah." She looked down apprehensively at the thing dangling from her wrist. "I don't know what to do with it."

Rex scoffed and said, "Nothing. We'll get it back to Spike's place. Until we do, just make sure you don't lose it."

"No pressure at all."

He rolled his yellow eyes and then Buffy heard her Grams' voice down the hall. She approached, looking much calmer than she'd been, with Doctor Cruse behind her. "Buffy darlin," she said, seemingly oblivious to the large man standing next to her granddaughter, "are you really alright?"

She nodded and smiled as convincingly as she could. "Yes, Grams, I'm fine. Promise." Physically yes, she was fine, so it wasn't a lie. Mentally she was bordering on mental patient.

"Alright, well..." the elder Summers looked up at the doctor and then back to Buffy as she was lead into the examining room. "Ya know, I don't think I really need a checkup, dear. I wasn't hurt in that earthquake."

"Please, Grams. Just..." Buffy looked up at Roger, the expectant doctor, and then said to her grandmother again, "Please?"

"Fine," Anne sighed, resigned. Her wise eyes then caught on Rex's imposing form behind Buffy and she rose one thin eyebrow, staring in silent question.

The girl shook her head in a "don't worry about it" way, and Grams gave a barely discernible nod before finally following the doctor. The door shut, and with it, Buffy relaxed somewhat. One thing taken care of.

"We need to find Spike," she said as she spun around.

"First I need to call the guys," Rex replied. "They gotta know what's goin on."

She nodded readily, recalling how she'd realized in the car that her phone was gone. "Okay. I think I saw a phone in the waiting room." She lead the way down the hall, internally following a thought process sure to drive her crazy. Spike was somewhere, hopefully nearby, but he was going to fly in here any second. And she had the Gem just hanging around her wrist.

The shop in town was all messed up, the owner was probably getting volunteers to help clean up the place right now. Thank the Gods for close-knit communities.

Buffy had an urge to go and help out, too, but she didn't have time. She figured it was her fault the shop had been targeted, most likely the "earthquake" had something to do with the Gem, she just wasn't sure whether it was good or bad.

Ugh, she was getting a headache. And if she complained, no doubt she'd be back in that exam room with a light in her eyes in under a second. Stubbornly, Buffy pushed aside the thoughts that plagued her mind and focused on counting her footfalls.

Alright, she was at the desk now. Good. Oh, there was the woman who'd driven her and Grams here. "Chelsea, right?"

The pretty redhead looked up from the appointment book on the front desk. She was Doctor Cruse's secretary, it'd been a fortunate coincidence she was at the scene in town. Apparently, she'd been on a late lunch break, but it hadn't taken her longer than a heartbeat to offer to drive Buffy and "Annie" to the office. She'd offered the same to the storeowner, but he'd declined.

Buffy liked her immediately. Because even though she'd helped carry out Grams' worrisome demands that Buffy be seen by a doctor, she'd also helped to calm the older woman down. And in her helpfulness, Buffy heard her mention that Grams should be checked out too once they made it to Doctor Cruse.

Chelsea nodded her head at Buffy and smiled brightly. "Right. Ya know, strangers usually forget my name five minutes after the first time I tell em what it is."

Buffy couldn't help but smile at her genial tone. "You've been too helpful today for me to forget it," she said. "Um, I was wondering if my friend-" she turned and pointed at him, "This is Rex. Is it okay if he uses your phone for a minute?"

Chelsea looked at the tall man and Buffy saw her pause for a second, though she couldn't tell if the woman had noticed his yellow stare in particular, before shaking her head. "Oh sure, sure." She grabbed the corded turn dial device and said, "Take your time, we're not real busy today. And if there's any emergency most everyone in town knows they can call the doc or me on our cell phones."

All of this was said to Rex in a warm voice of welcome as she set the phone down in front of him. Buffy looked at the thunderbird and... he was thunderstruck.

It was surreal, to see Rex, of all people, looking taken aback. His bright eyes had glued themselves to Chelsea's face. Buffy looked at the bright girl, her smile blinding and as sweet as syrup. Undoubtedly pretty, the twenty-something female had a head of fiery red curls, somehow not very frizzy. Her skin was porcelain and her eyes a deep green, darker than Buffy's could be sometimes, more foresty. She was nice to listen to, her voice gentle yet upbeat, and her face was open. Her expression friendly.

Not the type of girl Buffy would have thought Rex might go for, but certainly an attractive one. And if she really thought about it, probably the type that just might be good for such a temperamental male.

Buffy fought a smile, idly taking note of how strange yet relieving this moment of joy felt in the midst of such a day. She poked Rex in the arm, and finally caught his focus. She looked straight into his bemused eyes. "You'd better call them now, before they get worried or something and leave the house."

"Oh. Yeah, right," he said gruffly, and then stepped around her to reach the phone. He looked up and met Chelsea's gaze. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it," she said blushingly. The woman was tall, only a few inches shorter than he. Rex never met tall women. Petite of build with a pretty smile... she was awfully eye-catching. There were no freckles or birthmarks on her face, her teeth were straight and neat, her hair the most vibrant color he'd ever seen.

"Rex!"

"What?" He turned at Buffy's shout.

"Dial," she commanded.

Shit. When was the last time he'd been distracted by a girl? He couldn't remember.

Buffy laughed with a shake of her head when Rex finally started using the phone as it was meant to be used, not just as a paperweight. Chelsea didn't seem to notice anything funny, for she'd gone back to her work. Buffy watched her put a folder away in a file cabinet, hoping that it contained papers her Grams had filled out earlier. Buffy so hated filling things out.

She saw Rex move off to the side of the room with the phone, and she realized someone must have picked up on the other end. She hoped Spike wasn't at home, she wanted to see him soon. Rex was most likely right, the vampire was probably already on his way here, and though she could see him running through the door any minute and making an ass of himself, she wanted him here sooner rather than later. Besides, Stevo telling him she and Rex were at the doctor's office in town would not calm his nerves anymore than Spike finding out on his own.

She just had to hope he didn't freak TOO much, Buffy really didn't like scaring him. She'd done it enough times already. Never on purpose, of course, but still. And the incident at the diner yesterday had only managed to put him a couple notches higher on the protective scale.

Suddenly, there was a bang at the front of the room.

Chelsea jumped and Rex's eyes came up; Buffy's widened comically, she was sure. She'd been ready for it, too, but Spike running in the door like a madman still managed to startle her. She'd have to get used to it.

Mentally sighing, she sped towards him as he slammed the door and strode to meet her with grabbing hands and worried eyes. That stare still succeeded in making her heart melt. "Before you ask, I'm fine. I promise."

Her words didn't register. "What the hell happened?" he demanded.

His brows were nearly meeting in the middle, his gaze was slightly frantic and he breathed unevenly, chest rising and shuddering. Buffy placed her hands there, and asked, "Did you see what happened in town?" she asked, though she already knew the answer.

"Yeh. When I couldn't find your scent anymore I followed Rex's. Figured he might lead me to you." Spike glanced up at the thunderbird and then back at Buffy. His arms closed tighter around her. "The place was demolished, an then I end up HERE- Almost forgot this place had a bleedin doctor's office. I sure as hell wasn't prepared for YOU to end up in it!"

"Hey," she soothed, "I'm okay. I promise. There was some... weird earthquake at the antique store when my Grams and I were inside. After that she insisted on getting me checked out, when all I did was bang my shoulder." Buffy shook her head from side to side. "She's in there now and I am FINE, I promise you. Take a deep breath."

Spike did so, but his grip tightened once again. He'd felt a spiral of sickening fear run through him once he'd finally arrived here, and he would swear that over a hundred nasty images of Buffy injured ran though his brain on that ten second dash to the door. Hugging her, cradling the back of her head as she lay it on his shoulder, Spike breathed her in.

Her scent always managed to reach through to him the best. His panic began to subside. He listened intently to her heartbeat, the sound of a healthy pulse, and her breathing against his leather coat. "I can't lose you."

The admission had not been on purpose, he hadn't meant for it to come out, but Buffy heard it. She kissed his cheek and said, "I love you. You won't lose me."

He hugged her closer still, and silence engulfed them.

Until Rex hung up the phone, that is. The clang of the device, followed by him talking to Chelsea again preceded Grams returning from the exam room with Doctor Cruse.

Buffy knew the second she turned around that the old woman had noticed Spike and her in each other's arms. Even as Buffy disentangled herself and took his hand instead, Grams was eyeing them very curiously.

The lady talked to Roger pleasantly and thanked him, and as they approached, Buffy decided to keep it casual. And not stutter out of nervousness like a moron.

"Is everything okay?" she addressed the doctor.

He nodded kindly and said, "She's just fine."

"I told you," Grams put in.

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Thank you, doctor," she said. He nodded at her, showed a disinterested glance at Spike, and then told her Grams to have a nice, RELAXING rest of her day. He left them quickly, claiming he should check on his teenage daughters upstairs who had some friends over. Apparently, he and his family lived above the practice. The house was certainly big enough.

Once he'd left, Grams' intelligent eyes landed on the bleached male in leather again. She smiled at him in a welcoming way, but there beneath the friendliness lie something that reminded Buffy of a scientist with a new specimen. She knew Grams knew exactly who he was. If she didn't already, it wouldn't have been hard for her to figure out. The lady may be old but she was as sharp as a tack.

"Hello," she stuck her hand out in greeting. "I'm 'Lizabeth's grandmother. And you are?"

Straight to the point, then. That look in the old woman's eye didn't beg for small talk. Spike smiled politely and took her hand. "I'm... William." He ignored the startled look from Buffy's direction and gently released her grandmother's hand. "It's nice to finally meet you, uh... Mrs. Summers."

She gave him a sideways look and said, "William. Hmm. It's nice to finally meet you, as well." She sent a speaking glance Buffy's way, to which the girl obviously didn't know how to react. "Please, call me Annie. Everyone else asides from Buffy here does."

Ah, see, that right there was a trick to see if he knew her granddaughter's nickname, considering Buffy always told people her name was Elizabeth first off. It was a way of gauging how well he actually knew the girl. Spike only smiled. "Thank you, Annie. Until today I've mostly heard you referred to as 'Grams.' "

She grinned at him, then at Buffy quickly, before replying, "So I have been mentioned. Well, I feel I have to tell you William, that I appreciate your textin abilities very much."

Buffy smiled tightly and fought off a laugh; the bet had just been risen. She watched in amusement as Spike's jaw dropped and he worked it, unsure of how to respond. Finally, her boyfriend croaked, "Anytime."

"I do like to know where my granddaughter is spendin her evenings, and it was nice f'you to let me know that time she spent the night at your house- Of course," she said with a chuckle, "I do believe you're more than just a 'friend,' am I right young man?"

Buffy pursed her lips. She couldn't laugh. She really shouldn't, but the picture of Spike, an over-a-century old vampire getting called "young man" by Grams and nearly stuttering before he answered in the affirmative to her question, had Buffy near giggles.

What an introduction. Perfect "first meeting." What ever happened to the Christmas party?

"Well," Grams said, and patted him warmly on one leather clad arm, "as long as she's welcome at your home, you're always welcome at ours." The lady sent Buffy an approving look from her wise eyes, as if she sensed on some unseen level Spike was a good soul. Little did the woman know he didn't actually HAVE one.

Still, she was right to approve of him. Buffy stood close as her Grams left them to approach the front desk and talk to Chelsea. In the corner stood Rex, who'd at some point hung up the phone, half distracted by the redhead yet again and half trying not to laugh at his bemused friend. Buffy didn't think Rex had ever witnessed Spike getting a Summers' run down before.

"What d'ya think of her?" Buffy asked with a shrug, still smiling.

"Um... Your Grams is somethin, pet." He let out a sudden, rusty chuckle. "I like her."

Buffy gave him a blinding smile, and looked back to where the older woman stood conversing with Chelsea. She seemed to notice Rex but paid little attention to him.

Buffy abruptly remembered something she should probably mention... "Oh, Spike?"

"What?"

"I um..." She turned her back on the others and rose her hand up for him to take. She rolled up her own sleeve, and there was a sparkle at her wrist.

Spike's blue eyes widened as he took hold of the dangling bracelet. "Bloody hell."
Chapter 35: Stars have Nothing to do with This by Linnae13
She relayed her story on the walk back.

Chelsea, lovely woman, had offered to drive Grams home, and Buffy too, but she wasn't headed that way.

She gave Grams a hug and kiss goodbye, with stern admonishments not to do anything for the remainder of the day. A quick call to the local pizzeria in town took care of dinner, for Grams liked making food at home, but also loved her takeout every once in a while.

Buffy felt bad for leaving after the fiasco in the antique shop. Grams was tough, and now that she was sure her granddaughter was okay- And Buffy was sure SHE was alright -the lady seemed completely recovered. But it still wasn't easy to accept Chelsea's offer to drive Grams home without joining them in the car.

If it weren't for the stupid Gem, Buffy would have stayed home, and ignored the desire to be at Spike's side. But her being there might actually prove to be dangerous for Grams, though Buffy loathed to think that way.

She had no clue what or who had caused the earthquake and nothing felt safe to her anymore.

In light of duty, slight paranoia, and the discovery of one powerful bejeweled fashion accessory, she had decided to return to Spike's place, walking with Rex and him at her sides as she retold her tale of the day. From the earthquake, to finding the Gem on a shot of luck, to Grams forcing her to go to the doctor.

Upon entering the familiar and overly warm house, Princess approached with her tail swishing. She nuzzled Buffy's leg in friendly hello, and so got herself picked up and carried into the kitchen. Buffy set the feline down on the table beside Dylan's laptop, absently greeting everyone as Rex and Spike followed her in.

She pulled her hands away after scratching behind Princess' ears, and the kitty caught sight of the bracelet on Buffy's wrist. She swatted at the dangling Gem like a toy; the room stilled immediately after. Every voice quieted, and there were several quick gasps that made Buffy's heart skip a beat- these guys never gasped.

Stevo came closer as Buffy straightened. Rolling up her sweater sleeves, she offered him her wrist at almost the same moment his big hand smoothly wrapped around it. Bronze eyes stared hard at the little stone as if trying to figure out some unseen code. His fingers released her to reach for the bracelet's clasp. "May I?" he questioned.

"Sure."

Adeptly, he undid the chain, and an imaginary weight fell from her shoulders. It was a relief something so powerful was no longer on her person. The thing had been hanging there like it really was only a bracelet.

She knew better, and so did the guys.

Spike watched from the corner as Buffy rubbed her shoulders and then lowered her hands to the wrist now devoid of anything but goose bumps. Stevo walked over to Dylan, and in the hush of the room, Spike moved around them as the bracelet was compared to the picture on the island countertop.

He was at her side by the time questions started flinging about. Rex took the brunt of them, with Buffy filling in some gaps here and there. She rested in Spike's arms once he slipped behind her and propped both their weights against the closest wall.

His brain started to wander between the ensuing debates. Blake and Ace began arguing whether the earthquake could have been Flora's doing, if that so-called witch Drusilla had mentioned might be involved, right along with how effective was the Gem in actuality. Spike's replies and add-ins slowly depleted into silence.

His mind began vividly remembering moments from earlier, all of them unpleasant.

First, arriving in town to witness a crowd of people gathering in front of a destroyed antique store. He'd known something dangerous had happened, and Buffy was nowhere to be seen. That should have been a calming realization at the time, but it wasn't considering she hadn't been home when he'd checked.

Second, catching and following her scent until it had disappeared in the middle of town square. That too, was not something he'd like to relive.

Third, finding Rex's trail, and racing down its twisting path until finally winding up at the closest thing this town had to a hospital. The fear which had hit Spike at that moment was not something he would be forgetting anytime soon. Until the instant he'd gotten inside, it had felt as if he had a pulse again and it was racing.

He'd found Buffy ready and waiting for him, thank the Gods, as if she knew how scared he'd be, like she guessed how he would be feeling.

He definitely had to get a cell phone.

"Spike?"

His thoughts scattered at the sound of her voice. "Yeah, love?"

"I don't mind you holding me, but you're kinda crushing my ribs."

"Jesus," he jerked back, his arms going with him. Belatedly he noticed how her voice had been strained when she'd talked. "I'm sorry."

She turned around, blocking out the loud conversation behind them. Her eyes said she knew what was wrong. "It's okay..." Her mouth did a half conscious lip-rise on one side which he found too cute at the moment, and so ignored it. "You're still a bit wigged, aren't you?" she asked.

That gentle, understanding face riled something close to agitation. He would never be able to pinpoint the exact moment, but suddenly, fear returned as if in a hurry to invest itself in his blood. "Bein a bit more dramatic might get you closer to what I'm feelin, pidge." Spike used his fingertips to move a long strand of blonde behind her ear and let out a sigh. "M'a wreck, Buffy. Yeh, it's calm on the surface but..." He shook his head, looking down with a tight shrug before raising his blue eyes once again. "Somethin tried to hurt you again. I can't have that."

"We don't know what happened," she blurted. "It- It might've been a freak accident-"

"No."

"-caused by the Gem. If it's so powerful and all, there's no way to tell-"

"Exactly. There's no way," Spike argued. He didn't pay notice to the quieting of other voices. His harsh one was the only sound left to be heard. "You were almost bloody BURIED, and everyone in this room knows the Gem's the reason why. That, an some soddin powerful magicks." His nostrils flared between words. "There was no freak accident, Buffy. Someone who wanted to hurt you, tried." He refrained for saying "again."

It was amazing how moods could sometimes change as swiftly as the wind. In light of reality, calm was often an issue and difficult to keep. Her anger rose high. Because she was worried and scared. Because she didn't like him yelling at her. Because she knew he was right.

And because he hadn't once mentioned the increase in danger she knew there was for him now. "Well, we have the Gem. And if it was Flora- who hasn't shown her face in weeks -that caused the earthquake, I'm sure we'll be hearing from her sooner or later." Her voice was harsher than normal, and it made him look at her strangely. Buffy pushed on. "If she doesn't want it and this witch your psychic ex warned us about DOES, then we'll probably be meeting her instead. Either way, now that we have that STUPID bracelet, no one is 'safe,' Spike." She quickly slapped a hand over her loud heartbeat. "Including me. But I am WAY more worried about your stupid ass than my own."

Fingers wrapped around her chin in a steel grip, and his face got so close so fast she didn't have a chance to blink. "That kind of thinkin," he said in a voice dangerously low, "will get you hurt."

"Well someone has to worry about you," she declared. Her fear hid well behind wrath.

"I can take care of myself. You can't." he growled.

That was it. Anger reached a boiling point. "Oh screw you, Spike!" Buffy spun out of his grip and strode away. Ace lunged to the side before she could plow through him to get to the doorway, nearly knocking Rex over as he did.

Spike was right behind her, stomping from the kitchen and into the living room on a snarl. He found her grumbling about "stupid vampire" or some such. He didn't bother to try and make out her exact words. "You're gonna continue to be bloody impossible until you actually get killed, aren't you?!"

The look she fired him when he shouted would have made a lesser man cower; Spike was no man.

"You don't have any damn consideration for yourself. What if YOU got hurt, Spike? Or staked?! Have you even thought about that for a freaking SECOND?!"

Her yells were that of an animal's mourning cry. She was warning of sadness soon to come, but he wouldn't listen; it only made the screech louder. "I've been through all of this bullshit before. I can handle it. I'm worried about you-"

"I don't CARE if you've done this before or not!"

"-because you're HUMAN. Do you know how easy it is for you to get killed?! I don't want you taken from me! Does that register?!"

His entire face was like granite, his eyes spoke of nothing but immovable concern. She wanted to run to him and slap him at once. "Do you know what would happen if YOU were taken from ME, Spike?!" she cried, her words cracking at the last. A hard swallow before continuing was mandatory; she felt her eyes begin to burn. "Do you have any idea what that would do to me?"

Unshed tears shimmering over hazel, and Spike suddenly looked startled. Fragility had never been so clear. Buffy didn't know she was wielding a hammer.

"I can't-" She choked, her eyes breaking contact and looking at anything but him. "I can't lose you," she confessed to the ground. "A-And you don't seem to care if I do 'cause you're too fucking worried about losing me."

When she finally looked at his face again there was new understanding, accompanied by a sort of awful hope. Something about his hanging jaw made her want to hit him. The idiot didn't think about himself, she had to do it. She had to walk around with worry on her back all the time while he did the same for her, and they were fighting about it.

Irony could go throw itself in a river for all Buffy cared. She was scared for herself, sure, but more than ever for HIM. Her fears were always locked up and tightly tied, concealed, but if you prodded them they came forth with a vengeance. He just didn't-

Abruptly, a fire blazed in Spike's eyes. Someone had flipped a switch. She didn't hear anything except for the air moving as he rushed her, but it shook with a quiet scream that sounded like a decree.

He picked her up, lifting her quickly protesting form in his arms and reaching the stairs in three strides. His grip tightened until it hurt to move her arms, and kicking was as pointless as decaf coffee in the morning. All it did was get her toes stubbed against things.

She sounded like an angry tigress, grumbling and cursing the whole way up the steps and down the hall. They passed through the threshold to his room and Spike kicked the door shut.

Buffy's breathing was heavy and uneven after he tossed her on the bed like a sack of flour. She glared at him in the dark while her heart thumped erratically beneath her bones, and blood rushed like a hot stream in her veins. Her fingers clawed the bedspread, nails digging in.

She watched his shadowy frame lock the door, then he was striding forward again. There was intent in his stance and step; she saw a shift, and recognized the sound of his demon expression evolving from that of a human's. Buffy skidded backwards on the bed until she hit the mahogany headboard. Fear had no place here, and never would. However, wariness could be welcomed in at moments.

He went for her shoes first, tearing them off expertly quick. Then, he grabbed her ankles, yanking her forward to spread her lengthwise along the sheets before crawling on top of her. His leather duster surrounded her body until Buffy could only make out the vague outline of his shoulders and head. His amber-yellow eyes fairly glowed in the dark.

It was a rush. Shivers started to make her skin feel raw. Spike sensed it, she heard the low rumbling that came from his chest as it ran through her like a shot. A predatory sound, a dangerous thing to ignore or contest. Suddenly, Buffy became aware of how very much she did not want to do either. She wanted something else, even after screaming at him five seconds ago without a reconciling. She wanted him.

She wanted it all. With his hands braced on either sides of her face, his fangs sharp and near, Buffy's breathing did not calm or even out, her heart did not relax. Everything seemed to tighten, readying like a spring. Her legs stiffened. Her breastbone couldn't possibly be strong enough to contain the beating inside.

Without thought, her hands moved and she began unbuttoning her jeans, then tugging the zipper down. Spike released another sound, another growl, that was both encouraging and impatient. He didn't touch her until she began sliding the pants off her hips, then he took over, yanking the denim down and off her legs. She sighed when he passed an open, calloused hand over her knee and up to her waist, a rumbling seeping from his chest again as he fingered the hem of her sweater.

Buffy realized what he wanted. She quickly removed her pullover, and then the tank top beneath. She lay there for him, vulnerable and breathing fast. The sound of his voice almost made her jump. The darkness surrounded them like thick fog, and she could just barely see the movements of Spike's lips as he spoke. "You won't lose me," he vowed. "I'll make sure of it."

Buffy took down a hard swallow after his face lifted away. She gasped at the tiny yet sudden contact of his fingertips on her ribs, and the sound was enough to break the spell of stillness over her vampire.

His wide hands rushed over her skin, squeezing her hips and memorizing the curves and indents, touching with greed that made her feel blatantly and utterly wanted. They left to divest Spike of his coat, which only moved as far away as the edge of the bed. Then his mouth, his fangs and tongue, were at her throat.

Her body arched into him, Buffy's broken voice surrounding his thoughts, music in the dark. He could see her clearly, felt the blood in his dead veins surge and his nerves shaking. There was no question as to where this was leading.

He moved away after nipping at her throat in dedication. The T-shirt came next, thrown off in a blur. The loss of Spike's touch only lasted in order for him to remove his belt. Buffy didn't realize when her hands moved to the zipper and button on his Levis, only felt the clawing of his fingers on her body as he rushed to pull off the lace wrapped about her hips, dragging it down to bunch at her ankles. The bra didn't last long either; she heard a rip as he undid the clasp and stole the garment from her skin.

Her waist was in his hands again, arching up as if magnetized to him. He squeezed and gripped and caressed like he was molding a clay figure, tearing sounds from her that she'd never made for anyone else. He bowed over again, reaching her neck.

Buffy made a sound of surprise when he sank a fang into her, then another. Swift, like a shock in winter, he bit and at the first pull of her blood, she jerked. Heat spread like wildfire, and as if the sting had never existed, she was melting just as quick.

Her body writhed. She twisted in the sheets. Buffy released Spike from the confines of his jeans, stroking his cock fast and rough. He bit harder. Drank deeper.

Blood dribbled down, staining the pillow beneath her. Spike growled at the loss but did not move his mouth. His hips came forward to separate her thighs, then he was teasing her, rubbing her with his cock. The wet heat was a lovely torment.

His hands were harsh. One wrapped itself in her hair, keeping her throat nice and high, and the other strangled one of her wrists. Her free arm clung to him, her fingers clenching his skin, nails scoring a smooth shoulder blade. Buffy said his name on a whisper, though it rang with demand. His cock slid into her and she arched, her body throwing itself against his; their moans decorated the air like a chorus.

Suddenly her ears could hear nothing but her own blood rushing. Then snarling erupted at her punctured throat as he started moving, rough and forceful, practically pushing her form into the headboard. The hand in her hair, tangling it and pulling, was also protecting.

She wrapped around him like a glove, first her pussy and then her legs. Scratching at his back and whimpering in his ear, Spike was lost. He had a goal, and he was being run through with ecstasy and more lust than he'd ever thought to feel. It only made him hungrier.

His bite was a pain she would never forget. Buffy was sure of this, but she was in too much pleasure to care or even notice very much at the moment. She could barely think. Then something harsh and guttural was spoken by her ear, it sounded like words.

No. One word.

"Mine."

The demand and promise in that word. It made her shiver, her clit was rubbing against him every time his cock entered her again and again, and that one word made her lose it. "Spike!" She dragged out his name. Cumming and nearly giving herself whiplash as she arched and offered up as much neck as he wanted. He could bite her everywhere if he pleased, she didn't care. Spike surrounded her, and Buffy gladly came apart for him.

He didn't pull his fangs out as she started to breathe again. He'd stopped drinking, but he took another deep pull of blood on an urge, dragging out a gasp from her with it.

In that same rough, growling tone as before, Buffy heard the word again, but this time it sounded suspiciously like a question. "Mine?"

Spike hadn't let go, his cock still stroked inside her and stretched her body slowly, as much as he liked. He hadn't lost focus as she had. And suddenly, she remembered.

Frowning, her eyes gazed at nothingness in the dark; she wouldn't make him ask a third time.

"Yours."

Another strong, deep pull accompanied some sort of sigh, like a sound of relief, and Buffy was arching yet again as he drank. She felt his fangs leave, then his tongue licking her throat as he nibbled gently, as his hips kept rolling against her. Spike released her wrist and Buffy was slightly shocked to feel it had gone numb.

Her fingers moved to trail through his hair and she brought his bloody mouth down to her own. She kissed him deeply, ignoring the coppery flavor on her lips. He ate at her like he had her throat, but his fangs did not pierce, did not hurt, only tickled.

Buffy felt desperation in him increase again with every deeper plunge of his body into hers. She shuddered, thoughts beginning a quick spiral. The breath she had just regained started to shake, faster this time the wave came sneaking up, brilliantly hot. Her voice rang in the air like a breaking wind chime.

Spike didn't finish with her. When she was again gasping in respite, he gripped the nape of her sweaty neck and hauled her mouth to his throat, and ordered, "Bite."

She couldn't refuse or ignore that type of voice. Not from him. More importantly, she didn't want to.

The second her pearly whites bit his flesh, Spike's head began to spin. As she tore into his skin with a hesitant squeak that opposed the strength of her jaws, his fingers kneaded her spine, where one hand rose her body up. She took a pull of blood. He heard her gagging slightly, then swallowing the next moment.

Strong woman. It was why he loved her. She whispered to him, "Mine." There was no question, no doubt, and no indecision. She simply said it, proclaimed his body hers. Spike returned the knowledge of it all, his heart sewn up and delivered. "Yours."

The feral acceptance rang in her ears, over Buffy's heart. His body loved her, and on instinct she lunged forward again to take some more blood, for him. And like she'd thought, he roared at the feeling of her teeth hurting him again, accepting him again. She swallowed and thought of the rush as she felt him hugging her close to too tightly, heard the growl at her ear, rather than the blood going down her throat.

It wasn't enough to make her sick, just enough to make him scream.

His breath was rushing now on her marked skin. Her arms twitched tiredly as she released a sigh, leaving a bloody kiss on the soft place between his shoulder and his neck. Their bodies settled into one another like they settled into the sheets, completely, without thought. In the dark his demon visage receded, showing only blue eyes and blunt teeth once again.

He licked his lips clean of blood, then hers, and her throat came last. Buffy tentatively touched the wound with a curious hand after he pulled back, and she started to shake.

Spike must have seen, for he grabbed her unsteady fingers and frowned down at her. Buffy didn't know how she was sure he was doing so without light. "Are you okay?" he asked anxiously.

He jolted when she kissed him again, full out yanking on his head and plastering her closed lips to his. Then she pulled back after maybe two seconds, and the expression she wore had Spike smiling in return.

"I'm fan-freaking-tastic."

There was more kissage. Their mouths met again and again, and they rolled over entwined, pressing a leather duster into sheets that were quickly getting tangled all over again.

They loved each other. The claim latched onto that as readily as it did the fibers of both soul and demon. Living and unbeating heart alike, the connection grew fast to as near tangible a tether as it could possibly get. Their bodies linked, their blood wound together, and threads of magick laced it all tightly with ancient scribbles and words and magick, and the love already provided.

Like living vines, the claim travelled through them, spreading and spiraling until Buffy and Spike both trembled.

Together. They never stopped moving together.

***

Quite a while later, Rex was sighing gratefully as he stood in the kitchen. "Finally, they've stopped."

Dylan looked at the thunderbird who stood near the fridge, absently rubbing the back of his neck. "I don't know whether to feel bad for you with that sort of hearing, or be jealous."

"You're a pervert," Ace remarked.

Dylan sent him a startled look. "I didn't mean THAT." He turned around again and asked Rex in a slightly disbelieving tone. "Are they actually that loud?"

"Ha!" Blake said, his aquamarine eyes suddenly filled with wisdom. "Pity the man, Dylan. Pity him."

"I never pity him," Dylan deadpanned.

"They're like fuckin rabbits up there, it's awful."

Stevo chuckled from the corner. "Such a complementary way to put it. Will you tell Spike that after they come back down here? Or maybe Buffy?"

"Do I look suicidal?"

"Rex, c'mon," Ace said, "I think Spike would know you were joking. Give the guy a little credit."

"He isn't, though," Blake replied in support to Rex's claims. "Believe me, those two release pheromones into the air more often than two horny teenagers. Even if they hated each other, I still think they'd both wanna fuck the other to death."

A loud thud came from upstairs.

"And that," Rex complained, pointing at the ceiling, "is the beginning of round three."

_______________________
Thanks so much for still reading! Reviews are always appreciated! *huggles* Let me know how you liked this chapter!
Chapter 36: A Rocky Road Ahead by Linnae13
Buffy awoke hours later, her body marked and sore, pleasant satiation set in her bones. Tired eyes crept over her bed partner, and suddenly the memory of what had happened earlier jolted her sleepy awareness like a spark.

Her mate. His hair was in short tangles of white, his lips were parted as he sucked in air that he didn't need. His chest, decorated by reddened trails left from her fingertips, moved up and down slowly. His dark eyelashes fanned themselves against his high cheekbones and lent a softness to the razor edge of his face that even in sleep made you think of devils and angels.

Gluttony had invaded their bodies. Memories bombarded Buffy's mind and brought a blush with them. She and Spike had been taken over by the connection, lust and greed and love. It was corrupt, unexpected, and totally consuming.

Even now she sensed the attachment, the power, of the claim. Buffy could feel him. The sheets crumpled beneath her body she touched through his skin. The air she breathed swirled in his lungs. And her heart pumped inside two chests.

It was incredible. It was daunting.

Very slowly, she took a deep breath and let it out. Raising a hand to her neck, she tenderly stroked the bite mark there in new acquaintance, her nerves buzzing outward from her touch. It was like wearing a medal, a sign of belonging; Buffy stared at her own mark on Spike's throat in pride.

She dropped her hand with a shudder and ran her tongue along her teeth. It was about time she got a toothbrush over here- As a matter of fact, it was probably time she moved more than just a toothbrush into this house.

The taste of blood lingered very faintly on her gums, mostly from memory. Soon she'd be sharing more than just body and heart with this vampire. He'd want her to move in, she knew it as surely as she knew the sky was blue and Spike's blood was hers.

She wondered what might happen when he was awake. Right now, Buffy felt- if her gut was on mark -his existence. She had assurance he was alive not just from seeing him, but from sensing it, like the guarantee that time was passing even when you weren't looking at a clock.

How strong could this bond get?

Spike had explained to Buffy the effects of being mated before they'd even been close to doing it. Their connection would not only grow over time, but calm as well. They would crave each other in a way that was drug-like until the bond matured. The heat would never be gone, but would settle down to a simmer.

Based on how they'd always craved each other, Buffy hoped she was prepared for the upcoming intensity. Last night had been... powerful; though that fact wasn't truly clear without morning light.

Time would tell. Either way, they would work on problems that arose. It was one very good thing about Spike; he never walked away from a fight, never tried to AVOID the difficulties. And neither did Buffy, because he didn't let her on the rare occasions when she wanted to offer up the silent treatment instead of a battle. There was no sweeping things under the rug for them.

The girl looked at her lover once again, all tangled in the sheets. Sometimes he slept like a rock, other times he could be woken up by no more than the whisper of a footstep. Tricky man.

Nature calling, Buffy wedged away from her vampire and slipped out of the large comfy bed, shivering in the air of the room. She searched for the closest thing to throw on, and at spotting her sweater on the ground stepped forward, only to bump something with her bare foot.

Looking down, she smiled. Grabbing the black wad of cotton at her feet, she happily threw it on and stuck her neck through the collar. The hem of Spike's T-shirt reached her upper thighs and just covered her behind.

Buffy's smile grew; she liked wearing his clothes.

A few minutes later, she'd both relieved her bladder and washed away the cakey blood from her neck and body. The wounds were healing rather... quickly, she thought. It was likely a result of the claim, though Buffy didn't feel very different asides from a pleasant sort of warmth all over.

She couldn't explain that, it was like... the sensation you get when a favorite song comes on the radio. There's a familiarity, a fondness, and you turn the volume up. It was like that feeling only stronger and more tangible. Otherwise, nothing was different. She was simply living within a gentle clutch, loved, with all of her emotions shared.

Buffy stretched her arms above her head and then ran fingers through her messy hair. It had grown a little longer since she'd moved to MayBell, and she'd neglected to cut it because Spike always touched it and played with the ends. It made her believe he liked it long.

"He certainly seemed to like tangling it," she mumbled to her reflection, then looked at the cracked open bathroom door in alarm. No sound followed her words, so she breathed a sigh of relief. Spike was definitely in heavy sleeping mode.

Was it very long ago that they'd worn each other out? Buffy wondered. She couldn't hear anything from downstairs, and her body felt rested as if she'd had a full night's sleep. Had the guys gone to bed?

She left the bathroom and walked over to her pants where they dangled haphazardly from the arm of a chair. Then she remembered, she'd lost her phone during that earthquake. Buffy had no recollection of dropping it, or seeing it slip from her pocket, but all the same she had no phone.

And there was no clock in Spike's room. Buffy's indecision as to whether she should brave the downstairs and see if the guys were up or not was cut in half by a growl from her stomach.

Okay, nature called again, just in a different tune this time. She grabbed her pants and slipped them on, buttoning and zipping before turning towards the door. Spike hadn't moved an inch, he looked dead for a split second. Buffy shuddered, then shook it off.

His chest didn't always rise when he slept, he didn't always breathe. She approached the bed and tucked the sheet draped over him a little bit higher, running gentle fingertips along his still abdomen. Imagining those blue eyes, currently hidden, without emotion in them scared her. She didn't like the fact he was dead because she had never thought of him as anything but alive. However, the claim somehow, in a way she didn't understand yet, assured her he was not ash, and that Spike was very much with her. He was here.

Sighing softly, she left the room, rubbing her arms against the chilled air that she hit after passing the hallway and walking downstairs. The living room was empty except for a sleepy Princess draped over the back of a couch.

The tabby lifted her head and twitched her ears, glancing at Buffy with disinterest before resting again.

Buffy smiled and pet the cat's back as she walked by, heading to the kitchen.

It was empty, too, except for papers and books scattered around. That was nothing new. Dylan was the only one who never used a lot of paper for scribbles, and when he did he threw out anything that wasn't of lasting importance. Mainly, he just stuck to his computer, which was even now sitting on the table by the wall.

The closed computer. Alright, half-demon definitely not in residence. Dylan always had his laptop open if he was nearby. Let's see... no coffee was on, and it didn't smell like any had been made recently. Buffy approached the stove and touched the pot... cold.

She turned around with a frown on her face. Closing her eyes, she listened carefully for any noise coming from somewhere else in the house, maybe the basement; the guys had never been really quiet before.

Where could they have gone? Without telling anybody? Maybe someone had woken Spike up earlier and said something to him, and she'd simply slept through it.

Just as that thought started to cement in her mind, Buffy caught sight of a single piece of paper on the island, far from the mess of the rest. Piles of notes and sketches, open books, everything was in disorder. But that one slip of paper was straight and had an uncapped pen lying on top of it.

Buffy walked over and bent her head, picking up the note when she saw the starting line of Ace's handwriting.

"You two were sending Rex into a tizzy so we went out to eat. We're hoping to be back well after the headboard thumping stops, but if we aren't leave a sock on the door or something. The front door.

-Sincerely, those actually trying to get something done.

P.S. The Gem is on top of the fridge, we didn't want to take it out of the house and no one knew a better hiding place so Rex stuck it up there."

Buffy blushed, even though there was no one around. They'd heard... Crap, they'd LEFT because they'd heard... Oh, God.

Sighing with annoyance, she set the piece of paper down. Dumb bird ears.

Poor bird.

Buffy cringed. She was only grateful- if she really wanted to find a bright side here -that Grams was back at home. It would have been so much worse than a simple note implying irritated resignation if SHE'D heard something. Anne did own a shotgun.

Belatedly, Buffy looked up at the clock on the wall. She should call- Oh. It was almost morning. Grams would still be asleep.

The girl caught her lip between her teeth. It was going to be hard to explain everything that'd happened last night. It was going to be hell explaining what Spike was. And immortality... Crap.

Buffy sighed with gusto this time, pushing the worries to the back of her mind. There was nothing for it right now, she would have to talk to Grams later. Perhaps after Spike had eaten a couple dinners at the house and some weeks passed. No need to rush the unveiling of "Oh hey, my boyfriend is a vampire and I'm kind of tied to him for eternity. And why yes, that DOES mean I'm immortal now."

Buffy groaned softly, tugging at her hair as she looked to the clock again. The guys must have all gone out for breakfast or something if they were still gone even now, she knew there was a cafe in town that opened ridiculously early and closed before six PM. Maybe that note was older than she realized.

Her gaze rested on the refrigerator, and to relieve her mind of the newest concerns starting to take precedent, she moved closer and reached high. Searching blindly with one hand, she caught hold of the only thing up there and brought it down.
The Gem was quite beautiful, for all its trouble causing worth. It glittered with pride and looked like amber, nearly identical to her nightmare bracelet. The stone was just a bit rounder and larger in this setting.

Buffy slipped the pretty thing on, both admiring and studying it as she clipped the old clasp shut. She shook it around her wrist very gently, raising it high in the light. It positively glowed at moments.

Her stomach grumbled again, and suddenly she recalled the reason she'd come down here. Buffy opened the fridge. Peering inside, she found the remnants of Spike's newest trip to the grocery store, and subsequently the remnants of everyone else's snacks.

There was lunchmeat and spicy mustard, most likely Stevo's choices. She opened the freezer and saw a pint of rocky road ice cream that could be anyone's. Greedily, Buffy took it out before removing the lid and digging in with a spoon. She stood and ate, while still looking for more goodies.

There were some uncooked steaks, a jar of dill pickles, peanut butter and jelly. Next to some beer cans there sat three gallons of milk. Those were for everyone. She'd never seen so much dairy consumed in one house, often used as a substitute for coffee creamer.

Her ice cream, with the spoon sticking out of the container, was set on the counter before Buffy reached for a gallon. She got a glass from a higher cabinet and filled it.

It was nice to snack like this all alone in the kitchen. She just needed some music and she'd feel like she was fifteen again. Her iPod was back at home, however, in her bag that she'd neglected to take with into town yesterday. Buffy still didn't know how she'd forgotten it.

If she hadn't, maybe she wouldn't have lost her phone. She'd need another soon, and maybe she could get one for Spike, too. It would be nice to be able to reach him when he was out, the guy was always getting into stupid situations and fighting. He needed a freaking tracker injected underneath his skin.

Buffy puffed out a little laugh at the thought. Her protectiveness wasn't strange to her, just expected. However, the vampire upstairs still seemed thrown at moments by her worry over him.

Buffy capped up the milk and opened the refrigerator again. After putting the gallon on its shelf, she caught sight of something she'd missed before. Bloodbags.

There were several piled up in there like a vampire buffet. Buffy wondered how many Spike could consume in one sitting, how many he usually drank in a day. The fact was no longer so surreal after all she'd learned and what they'd experienced together, after falling for him. The concept, however, was still yucky.

*Really? Even after last night? You drank it, too,* she reminded herself.

Making a decision, Buffy reached in and grabbed a bloodbag. She had seen Spike heat these up before.

She closed the fridge door and opened the microwave, setting the fluid filled bag inside before pressing the same buttons she'd watched Spike press a hundred times before. She'd also seen him consume numerous amounts of this stuff on the daily, never consistent was he with his diet. She tapped her foot impatiently after closing the little microwave, trying to avoid her own thoughts.

It was a simple gesture, nothing to get worked up about. Spike would appreciate it, he wouldn't look into it, he wouldn't look at her with that wonderful stare of warmth and awe as if she were priceless either. She wasn't. He knew that, and he loved her anyway.

Buffy didn't want praise for something she, frankly, felt guilty for not doing before now.

"Ugh... bloody hell," she mumbled dryly, opening the microwave door when the machine finally beeped. Scrunching her nose in distaste, she grabbed a mug, and next the bloodbag.

Buffy paused, used the scissors that were in a nearby drawer to cut open the bag, then poured its contents into the awaiting coffee mug.

Frowning, she leaned in and took an experimental sniff. Pulling back with a grimace, Buffy sighed again, suddenly feeling admiration for her vampire. He had to drink this stuff all the time... Surely, he enjoyed the smell and taste more than she did, actually preferred it coming from a live body, but still, what a fate.

Spike ate other food; spicy wings, anything with onions. Hot sauce got put on lots of stuff, Mexican was a big hit with him. But she knew he didn't get to enjoy the flavors the same as humans did.

Hadn't she seen him add a... herb to his blood once in a while? Setting the mug down, she started to search for the unnamed additive. If she was going to wake him up with "breakfast in bed" she wanted to do it right.

All lower cabinets proved to be unhelpful. The overhead ones had many spices, but not the right one. She checked the drawers in the refrigerator just in case, but came out empty handed. Beginning to consider substitutes as she opened one of the lower cupboards again, she almost didn't notice when a thud came from the door off the hall.

Buffy looked belatedly around the corner of the doorway, remembering the tree branch that hung just close enough to the house to make a banging noise when the wind blew. She turned back around, but then the sound came again and startled her into almost bumping her head against the doorframe.

She elected to ignore it, until the banging got worse. It started coming in annoying little taps that wouldn't quit. Finally, letting out a loud groan of annoyance on her way, Buffy went to the noisy door.

She didn't know where any shears were, and so the moment Buffy realized she shouldn't have opened the door, she couldn't really recall what she'd planned on doing with the annoying tree branch. It had earned a glare, at least.

Unfortunately, she was wrong. The branch did not deserve any blame for the noise. The wind was nonexistent and all of the trees were still. But the yard was not empty, and neither were the indigo eyes, so dark they matched the unlit sky disappearing behind day's light, that stared at her with a tagalong smile.

"Hello there."

All color went out and Buffy fell to the ground.

***

Above stairs, a vampire lay tossing and turning in his bed. His skin broke out in shivers, his blood started to itch inside his veins.

Sweat beaded along his brow. He fought his own unconscious state, the relentless pull into deeper sleep clawed and wrenched; his demon was struggling.

It had been howling, thrashing in its slumber. Then the heart inside him, the humanity, roiled too. All had sprung up and started to fight, sluggish scrapes and screams, waking Spike, jolting him. Making it so his body slept but did not rest.

He couldn't wake up. Something was stopping him. Spike's game face came forward in his sleep, his fingers ripped the sheets. He became an animal. Something was wrong.

A light of golden white blinded him behind his eyelids. Then softness, touching his face and calming him, loving hands. Buffy...

Then it was ripped away, and Spike awoke at the snatch.

"Buffy?" he croaked. His fangs were out. His yellow eyes took in the sight of an empty bed, the roiling in his stomach threatened all sense of even fickle calm, and then he saw that her jeans were gone.

Hopping from bed, Spike grabbed his Levis from the ground and stepped into them, leaving the bedroom quickly. The stairs were cold beneath his feet, the first floor even colder. Why was it so cold?

He immediately saw the back door open. Spike stuck his head out into the graying light of dawn and quickly scanned the area. A paw touched his foot.

"What the bleedin hell are you doin out here?"

Like she'd answer. Princess just sat and stared at him.

Spike picked her up and wondered who would be dumb enough to leave the door open, but the answer was nobody. Especially not Buffy. Where was she? And everyone else? Why was there this sickening feeling in his stomach?

Spike shut the backdoor and then walked into the kitchen. There was a carton of melting rocky road on the counter, beside a mug of- Was that blood?

Sure enough, Spike approached it and found the cup full of O-neg. He picked it up and tasted. Lukewarm. It had been heated.

He frowned hard and then bumped into an open cupboard door with his leg. "Why..." He kneeled down and found nothing out of place, so closed the cabinet and stood back up again.

Spike's game face hadn't gone away. He tried to calm himself, tried to make it recede, but refusal was his answer. Something had him on edge, something was creating a black hole inside, and he couldn't seem to figure it out.

He found Ace's note next, and panic sped up his thinking.

If she wasn't with them, where was she? "Buffy?!" There was no answer to the shout.

Spike went into the living room. "Buffy?!" He ran to the room where she liked to fill vases with flowers, he called her again, screamed from the top of the basement stairs and all the way down them. She wasn't in the house.

She wasn't in the house and the door had been left open. The cat had been outside. There was an unfinished container of ice cream with a spoon sticking out of it on the kitchen counter. She wouldn't leave chocolate about for Princess to get sick on. She wouldn't leave a door open. And his gut was on fire.

"BUFFY?!" Spike screamed into the morning air, heedless of the sun rising steadily behind near translucent clouds. Her name was beginning to form a ball in his throat. Nostrils flared as he consciously inhaled, his demon eyes closed to the nature around him as he searched out Buffy's scent.

What Spike smelled nearly knocked him over. Buffy's scent mixed in with something powerful, something foreign and nasty. He didn't like it, he recoiled away from it. Then as quickly as he'd found her trail, he lost it. He couldn't smell anything anymore.

Spike snarled without realizing it. He tried to sense her, tried to use the new claim to reach out... It was so faint. The connection had gotten virtually no time to strengthen itself; being close to your mate was the chief thing that helped that.

Right now he couldn't even find her using the connection, just his vampire senses and those were numbed. He couldn't scent her, he couldn't hear her voice...

Spike pictured Buffy in his mind, that hair, those eyes... He focused on nothing else, forcing concentration as he called out mentally to her. He reached for her blood with his own. He could find her. He had to.

Blackness met him. Her location was a mystery, but the flash of nothingness shocked him, only lasting a second. Spike blinked and breathed in deeply, calling her name softly as he tried again. Once more, darkness slapped him, a tremor of a heartbeat, and then nothing.

Suddenly, the realization came, and Spike nearly fell to his knees. She was knocked out and she wasn't in good company.

The roar that rang throughout the forest had birds shooting out in flocks from light soaked trees. The clouds around the sun blew away, causing the vampire to flinch and burn. He jerked under the beams. He started moving farther out into the forest until finally the blaze of the morning forced him inside like an evil punisher. It would not let him look for her, as blind as Spike's search was to be.

Once the door to the outside slammed behind him he grabbed the kitchen entryway and held on, cracking the molding beneath his fingertips. She couldn't be gone. She couldn't have been taken. Right from under his nose. No... No. She couldn't have been.

Futilely, he searched the house again. But once the frantic seconds of denial and desperation finally ran out, Spike went mad.
________________________

END NOTES: Thanks for reading and reviewing! Please take a minute to let me know what you thought! *hugs*
Chapter 37: All Dorothy Style by Linnae13
They came back to a sort of hell.

A vampire who'd lost sight of his mate, a man who'd lost the woman holding his heart.

"I don't like this," Ace choked out, his voice a raspy declaration of both disgust and concern.

"You're sure as hell not the only one," Blake countered. He stared at the blade of a large sword, one he'd been sharpening for over an hour. He didn't dare lose concentration, lest he lose his head.

Stevo stood over the gypsy journal, frantically grinding herbs and measuring them, memorizing chants. He'd tried a locater spell on Buffy, even after Spike had done three; but concentrated energy from someone who WASN'T bordering on the edge still hadn't managed to find her. Their girl was somewhere simple magick couldn't reach.

Dylan was helping finish a spell they might be able to use on Flora, if she was, by chance, susceptible. Stevo had been working on sketching it from another spell for weeks. "I need more cedar oil," he asked softly.

Dylan dutifully handed over a little brown glass bottle. "You're sure this is going to work?"

"No, I'm not. But I think it will." Hope was his altar today.

That was all they had at the moment. Hope, ideas and suggestions. Before, when they were contemplating ways to find Flora and the Gem, and figure out what Drusilla's visions meant, brainstorming and researching was fine. Hell, it was paramount. It was necessary, in order to figure things out.

Not anymore. They had no time.

One of their own had been taken. More importantly, Buffy had been taken. She was human, newly mated, and extra strength would be slow in coming to her. She would feel bereft, lost, possibly dazed at times away from Spike so early in their claim. And he would react the same. Worst, they had no idea where she might be.

"Whoa!"

Stevo looked down at the jar he'd just broken and blinked. It had been empty of the herb he'd wanted, Stevo didn't realize until after doing so that he'd thrown the container instead of setting it down; slivers of clear, jagged glass shined in the light. "Sorry."

Dylan sighed. "It's okay." He understood. Everybody was worried and barely keeping it together. Nothing was okay. Anger was simmering beneath the very thin layer of control that was only a pretense at keeping calm. "I'll get a towel."

The half-demon went to the sink while Stevo stood in silence, still as a frozen pond. After a moment, he asked, "Do you know if Rex is still on the phone?"

Dylan shook his head and turned off the water. He approached again and started to wipe off the glass sprinkled countertop. "No." He glanced at the man flipping through a book thicker than two Holy Bibles, "Ace, would you check?"

The man stood up and left the room, a minute later returning, after an irritated rush of words had been shared between himself and the thunderbird. Yes, Rex was off the phone, he'd just hung up with Drusilla. And no, there was no news. No visions had been seen, no hints as to where Buffy might be were delivered to the vampire's psyche.

The sound of a door slamming rang throughout the house like a gong, followed quickly by footsteps leading into the basement. Rex had gone to wail on the punching bag.

Blake sat on a stool beside the kitchen island, rubbing his bruised arm at random moments in between cleaning the weapon he still held. There had been a fight earlier, both brutal and drawn out. The guys had all walked away with minimal injuries, though; cuts here, bruises there, almost less than the usual. Not even a pulled muscle among the five of them... but it had taken a long time to end the fight.

It had been a distraction. An extended, exhausting distraction. Vampires came from the corners and behind trees, jumping onto them three at a time and wielding axes and knives. It wasn't pretty, and now much of the forest floor between Spike's house and town square was covered in ash. The fight had lasted hours, the vampires involved were many and those that went un-dusted had refused to tire.

No one realized until later that they had been inexhaustible on purpose. It was the opening needed, before sunrise, for someone else to steal Buffy away.

"I miss her," Blake nearly mumbled, staring hard and blankly at the sword in his hands; its blade would draw blood at the merest touch. "She'd be bandaging us all up right about now."

Ace sat beside him and studied a map of the area that was on the island countertop. There were red circles and marks all over the thing from places they'd guessed she might be; all had turned up as dead ends. Sun was almost setting, and they'd been working for hours to locate Buffy. "She probably would be..." Ace replied, "if she were here."

"It wasn't our fault," Stevo suddenly blurted, before mumbling his next sentence, "We got into a long fight, it lasted hours."

"How were we supposed to know..." Dylan shook his head after he trailed off. "No. I take it back. We should have noticed it was taking too long. We should have known there was a reason why they weren't tiring out."

Ace cursed under his breath. "Fuckers. They knew how to play us. And she was with Spike, we assumed-"

"Assumption got her kidnapped," Stevo interrupted. "And now Spike is losing it."

The last was said quietly, like a secret no one wanted to share or hear. At that moment, the vampire was upstairs, trying to catch her trail again and again. He kept sticking his nose out of windows, extending himself to the edge of shade. He picked up her clothes and inhaled Buffy's scent from every inch of fabric like he was trying to get high off it. Spike was still using chants and spells out of numerous books in order to locate her, too. He'd tried three by the time the guys had finally returned but now he'd lost count. He thought he'd reached thirty, maybe five spells ago. It didn't matter, not a one worked.

There was a furious sort of feeling in his body, like a snake was coiling and snapping inside his gut. Every time he thought of her face, imagined where she might be, without him, at someone else's cruel idea of mercy, Spike lost it just a little bit more. There was a blue dimming light coming inside from open windows and it reminded him of the color of her veins at her wrist. Spike remembered puncturing one, he remembered how her blood tasted, he remembered how she was his. The demon inside him was shivering and howling, and peace couldn't be found. He didn't want to find it before finding her.

Death was never something he'd enjoyed thinking about as a human, but he had contemplated becoming ash before. He'd contemplated many ideas of demise, whether hell would be a reprieve from the loneliness he felt on earth or not. Then, he'd stopped. Spike had grown up and realized self pity was nowhere for his thoughts to dwell.

Buffy coming into his life was like a shooting start across a daylight sky. He'd never even seen her coming. Then, all of a sudden, she was there, in his library, in his heart and his thoughts, in his bed. Now she was in his veins. She had set up residence within his blood, not just by way of the claim, but because Spike loved her. If anything happened to Buffy, he would never recover.

Thinking clearly and trying to figure out where she may be wasn't easy, his head wasn't on straight, and the claim kept trying to rile him into action. Go out, find your mate, bring her back and make sure she's safe.

He couldn't do those things and it was killing him.

Spike forced himself into focusing and thinking logically. He knew the guys were working their asses off. He knew they weren't calm either. The house felt heavy with the emotions bouncing around its walls; it was a wonder Blake hadn't taken to leaving every half hour or so in order to breathe, the empath had to be suffering.

Spike had to stifle his own emotions every other minute just to think, to close his eyes and try and connect with Buffy. It felt like he was reaching her unconsciousness less and less. Even passed out, he'd be able to find her if the claim were stronger. But it wasn't, and as a result he could barely set apart north from south or what direction his gut was hinting at him to follow.

He knew who'd taken her. The witch. There was no doubt in his mind now that she- whoever the bitch was -had been working with Flora this entire time. She wanted the Gem, and they still had no idea why. Perhaps she wanted to try and harness its power for something else, a spell maybe- No one knew. They just knew that she wanted it. She must have cut a deal with Flora, and Spike bet his ashes were the deal breaker.

But how this witch had learned Spike would find the Gem, he didn't know. It didn't make sense that she had begun working with Flora recently, not if their goals were different. No. The witch had to have known she could use Flora to help find Spike or the Gem for a while, either way it meant somehow he was connected to that fucking piece of rock, and the witch had known all along.

Maybe it was promised to Flora once her partner was done using it. Perhaps the witch didn't need its power after all, or at least not all of it. Spike didn't think Flora's desire for vengeance had quelled at all, and he didn't for a second think she was willing to grant him mercy for any sort of "exchange."

So, simply, the witch wanted the Gem, and Flora wanted Spike. Instead, they had Buffy.

And he knew that his mate was in the worst form of danger if Flora was nearby. The idea of Buffy being in the same room with that vampire bitch made his skin crawl.

***

Downstairs, the phone started to ring. The only person who ever called this number was Buffy, so naturally, the house took a collective gasp at the first chime.

Stevo ran to the cradle as Spike pounded down the stairs. The gypsy picked up the line, nearly yelling into the receiver while his heart beat a mile a minute. "Hello? Buffy?"

"Um... Sorry, dear." It was Drusilla. "I have news on the young human, though."

He sighed. Spike did, too, except his breath was more of a whimper if you listened closely enough. He should have known, Buffy was still in the dark every time he reached out to her. "What does she know?" he demanded.

"Tell Spike," Drusilla began, "that I just got news from those powers who so like putting images in my head. Apparently, this witch's name is Antonia."

"Antonia?" Stevo repeated, frowning hard. "I feel like I know that name."

"She's been in plenty of books. The woman is older than me. She's powerful, too. And I... Well, I'm pretty sure- with what I felt and what I saw, as well as who she is..."

"Spit it out, Dru!" Spike shouted from the doorway.

"She's been looking for the Gem for months. She... Well, tell Spike he's part of a prophecy. I know how he'll react to this news but-"

The vampire was already pounding his aching head against the wall. "Tell the bird I can hear every word she says from here."

"Well I can't!" Ace swiftly interrupted. "What the hell's going on, Stev?"

"It appears Spike is part of a prophecy."

"What prophecy?"

Drusilla spoke up again. "That's a tricky bit. You see, it is written- I have the words embedded in my brain from that bloody vision, I swear I've never had such a headache before-"

"Focus, Drusilla," Stevo reminded.

"Oh, right. Sorry. Anyways, it isn't quite... clear. Spike, 'a vampire unlike others, strong, cursed with self control and a human ability to feel,' will find the Gem. Then, he must protect it or discard it, because another source of evil wishes to use it to cause... well, destruction. That is all it says."

"That's it?" Stevo asked.

Dylan scowled. "Seems weird that this Antonia woman would look for the Gem for so long based just on that. How would she even know how to use it for evil?"

"That is what I thought," Drusilla continued. "Then I remembered something I'd read long ago. It was in the Codex."

"What?!" Spike demanded.

"The Codex," Stevo explained to Ace's silent questions. Rex suddenly came in, having heard just about everything up until now from the living room; the moment the phone rang he'd sped up the stairs.

"The Codex specifically named the Gem of Amara, and then described the witch who would harness it's power to become 'a great evil in the world where humans reign.' But only if said witch could find it, which she never would do without the help of a vampire. She's trying to become a kind of God, Stev. Between my vision and both prophecies, I'm sure of it."

"And Flora's just helping because she wants Spike's head," Dylan added.

"Seems that way," Drusilla agreed.

"But instead she has Buffy."

"I believe you should be expecting a phone call from her or Antonia very soon. No doubt the girl will be used as trade for the Gem."

Rex ran a hand roughly through his short hair, and Ace rubbed his palms over his face, still unsure about half of the conversation. Spike replied. "We've figured that out, Dru. Been expectin it. But we sure as hell haven't stopped looking for her. So do you have any clue where she is or not?"

He sounded impatient, Drusilla noted. She could tell simply by his voice how Spike must feel about this human he'd claimed. She hoped with all of her shaky soul they found Buffy before time ran out. "I don't know where she is, but I have a spell you can use to find her."

Suddenly, Spike felt something spark inside of him. It was hope... and it wasn't alone.

Buffy was awake.

***

Buffy had the insanely familiar feeling of when she'd fallen out of a tree.

She was five, and she'd been climbing in a low limbed magnolia during springtime. It was wet out, humid, and she was filled with lemonade and too much energy. She'd neglected to retie her shoelaces, and Buffy got a broken wrist for climbing too high then losing grip, even though she'd told herself she wouldn't dare go down until she was ready.

Now she remembered hitting the concrete, the pain that had speared through her entire body. Her head meeting the sidewalk like a hammer meets a nail. Her mother was near tears when Buffy called out and Joyce had found her lying there, cradling a broken body part and weeping beside an anthill.

Buffy felt like that now, confused, hurting, her head seemingly ringing from the force of a fall. She didn't want to open her eyes, so instead she allowed memories to foggily trail back to her. Her mind felt thick, how could a brain be filled with soup?

She recalled blacking out. All she could sense now was a need, like she missed somebody. A dread had settled in her unstable gut. Was she nauseous? She felt like she might be nauseous.

Then, with lightning, it came back. It all came back as fast as Buffy could take a breath.

Indigo eyes and a smile she never wanted to see again. Had she... Had she been kidnapped?

Determined, fighting fear, the girl allowed her eyes to open. She immediately took in a shadowy room which reminded her of a castle. She was definitely not at Spike's.

Suddenly, it felt like she'd just watched a bird dive into the mouth of a cat. In a minute she might go "tweet" but really, she wanted to scream.

Buffy didn't dare. The air was still, as if sound might crack it as a punch would a mirror. She had something lodged in her stomach, something heavy and draining. She didn't want to be here. She wanted to be with Spike.

Her mate.

*Oh fuck.*

Buffy released a sigh. She knew she was supposed to be able to sense him, feel him somehow... God, could she even attempt to? Surely there would be some... innate instinct that might wake up her ability to connect with him.

Buffy closed her eyes again, briefly relieved by her own sight's ignorance. It was so much easier to pretend you weren't where you shouldn't be, when you could imagine the place you belonged. She called out Spike's name in her mind, she tried to imagine his face, where he might be, listening to his voice in her head... Nothing. She got nothing.

She took a deep breath and tried again, never lifting her eyelids, which felt heavy.

Fifteen minutes of reaching out to him- if she was even doing this right -and still, Buffy got nothing. There was so little mental connection to ANYTHING, that the feeling of emptiness and unease she'd been trying to ignore jangled as if seeking attention, rather than quieted.

She rubbed her eyes and, noticing some shackles that were trailing out of a wall not ten feet away, thanked the little luck she had that her arms were free. Her feet were, too. There was nothing tying her down that she could see.

Buffy moaned when she rolled to her side and propped herself up on an elbow. The floor was stone. Where the hell was she, a dungeon? Oddly, the girl felt just a little like she was in The Wizard of Oz. Except Dorothy had ruby slippers, while Buffy had-

Her gasp could have startled a statue. She quickly looked down at her wrist and then released a great sigh of relief. The Gem was still on her person. She hadn't lost it, it hadn't been taken.

That, she found weird, but was too thankful to think on it overly much. The obvious assumption was the woman who'd taken her didn't know what the Gem looked like. That, or she wasn't interested in it, but Buffy found such a case hard to believe.

She looked around her. The room was bare except for a wooden table beside a matching chair, both of which looked so old they were probably covered in splinters. There was a window, too. It was dirty and very well might be nailed shut. No door.

How had she been put in here if there was no door? What, was she lifted in by a crane like some grand piano? Buffy stood up and moved quickly and silently to the closed window. She tried to open it, only to give up five minutes later after realizing the drop to the ground wasn't survivable, and there were no trees to be climbed and no ledge to try and tip-toe along. She had to admit, this was discouraging.

Buffy turned around at the sound of something high pitched but quiet, and with that turn, her brain seemed to spin. Sudden dizziness, weakness... it was like someone had sucked out half her body's blood supply.

The idea of blood made Buffy think of Spike, the memory of biting him, his teeth sinking into her skin, the claim- This all brought along a flash. It was so quick that once it ended, she wasn't totally sure it had happened at all.

She saw him. She sensed his presence, and for an instant knew all of his emotions. Worry, fear, anger, more fear, and a strong dose of determination mixed in with relieved surprise. He knew she was awake. He'd also known, until this instant, that she'd been unconscious.

Buffy leaned against one of the cold stone walls, trying to steady herself. God, she had felt him. He seemed so far away. She pressed a hand against her chest as unwelcome nervousness slithered through her body, surely leaving wrinkles on her skin from the inside out. She twitched and started to breathe oddly, gasping and shaking. Crap, this wasn't fun.

It took her a minute to get a hold of herself, and when she did, Buffy was madder than she'd been after first realizing she was captured. The claim was upset, and she missed Spike for more than simply being afraid and wondering if he was okay. Her whole being, soul and body, were suffering without him. It had been so short a time after the claim... They'd gotten absolutely no time to properly connect and build it up. Now, they were apart, and their ties were being stretched just like some stiff muscle.

Buffy grit her teeth and stood up straight, ignoring the fire that burned beneath her breastbone. She couldn't expect Spike and the guys to rescue her, though she knew they'd try. She would be grateful if they did, but they'd need help from her if any plan they came up with was going to succeed. And before Buffy tried to get herself out of this, or even contemplated relaying information to her mate through the flimsy connection they shared, she needed to know why she was here, acting out the part of some princess stuck in a tower.

"Hey! I'm up! Anyone wanna come and chat with the person they've locked up?!" No reply came to her shouting, and Buffy walked over to the splintery looking table and chair, throwing the latter into the wall before yelling again. Courage was welling up to match her anger. "I'd love to know how you got me in here! I mean, I don't even see a door! Is there a special stone you press?! A chain to pull?!"

She threw the chair again, hauling it back with all her might before letting it fling. The old thing was coming apart, and Buffy felt adrenaline speed through her blood like an eel in water. The chair made yet another loud crashing sound as it hit the wall a third time, finally falling to the ground it splintery pieces.

Just then, Buffy heard another quiet sound, a squeak. She spun around fast, only to notice a rat scurrying past the window to nestle into a corner. She blinked, and the half a second allowed the rat to wiggle into a hole in the wall. Buffy witnessed its dirty tail disappear as if it'd been eaten in quick bites by the stone.

She suddenly thought of Princess. She missed that cat.

In the moment of turning back around, Buffy got the chills. It was like that sensation you have when a cold wind suddenly whips by on a hot day, and you can smell a storm coming. Instead of the foretelling of a storm or even lightning, though, it was the opening of a wall.

Well then, there was a door.

In stepped two tall women, one with short brown hair, wearing jeans and a dirty black jacket. The other had on a drape-y gown of cream and gold that looked incredibly out of place in this grungy room. It was the woman who'd knocked Buffy out, the one with indigo eyes as deep as the ocean. Her tanned skin was in stark contrast to the other woman's pale, wrinkle-free face. One thing they did have in common, neither female looked very friendly; the smile on the one in the dress made Buffy want to shrink back.

Instead, she stood as tall as her height would allow. Noticing you were barefoot wasn't helpful when trying to keep your heart rate in check, and fighting lightheaded-ness. It was never a good thing to notice when you'd been kidnapped.

Suddenly, she really, REALLY wanted a pair of shoes.

"Quite a voice for such a little thing," the gowned woman commented, that smile still chilling and frozen in place. Her teeth were perfect.

Buffy refrained from pointing out that she could get a lot louder. "Okay, so let me take a guess here..." She casually walked closer, pointing at the short haired brunette in jeans, "You're one of the flying monkeys, and you're," she pointed at the grinner, "the Wicked Witch of the West. Well, I hate to disappoint, but I don't have any ruby slippers stuck on my feet- As a matter of fact, I'm without ANY shoes. So why don't you just let me go?"

The witch chuckled while the monkey fumed. "She's funny."

"She's an idiot."

"That's rather hypocritical of you, don't you suppose, Flora?" Antonia gave her a sidelong glance.

*Flora...* Buffy mentally took a gulp. Shit. She was in deep, deep shit.

The woman in the dress approached, her smile finally beginning to fade in light of a considering glint behind dark blue eyes. "Is your name truly 'Buffy,' little thing?"

She cocked a brow. "Elizabeth, thank you very much.

Antonia hummed almost condescendingly as she looked down at her. "Hmm. Buffy's the nickname then." Suddenly, she glanced peculiarly at the woodpile that used to a be a chair, almost with disinterest, like she had expected her hostage to do something like this and only wondered why it had taken so long. "Well, I like Elizabeth much better," she declared, tearing her eyes away from the chair.

Buffy frowned hard as the woman came closer. Refusing to step back, she glared up and into the face of this person who'd kidnapped her. The air in her lungs stilled and her heart slowed. The woman was lovely, her eyes alone were enough to draw you in, but with thin lips and high cheekbones, a long yet thin nose, she looked... elegant, even if you only saw her face.

Buffy realized with acute clarity, that this woman was actually a witch. Probably THE witch, the one Drusilla had warned about.

The dark hair on her head and the way she stood proud and confident, almost cocky, and the strange flicker in her bright purple-y eyes... Buffy just had this impression... a feeling. It was like the hairs on the back of her neck were all standing to salute. This person was a witch.

She slowly shook her head as her kidnapper, finally, came to a stop no more than two feet away. "Man, I'd like to burn you at the stake," Buffy sneered. She'd always been on the side of the persecuted when reading about the Salem witch trials, but this was so not the same thing.

Antonia rose her eyebrows. "I see that claim is already starting to set in, distance be damned."

Buffy was so stunned she couldn't hide it. She knew about the claim? How in the hell did... Oh, right. Witch. Fucking fuck.

"I'm Antonia. And yes, I'm the one who wants the Gem of Amara. You see, you're my leverage." Her, with her indigo stare and perfect posture, smiled again. She did it so understandingly it made Buffy want to gag. "I'm sure anyone who cares about you as much as Spike does- your MATE, after all -will want you back more than he'll want to keep that burdensome jewel. I'm almost jealous of you, in a way, you've already seen it, I bet. You know exactly what it looks like."

Buffy's wrist started to itch and burn.

She swallowed hard and said nothing, to which Antonia just smiled again.

Changing the topic, Antonia said, "You know, you wouldn't have been able to tell I was a witch without that little bite mark on your neck." She reached out so fast, Buffy didn't see her fingers jump forward and touch her throat, grazing the scar. She fell to the ground as spasms shivered through her limbs like electricity.

It died down almost as quickly as it'd arrived, but left Buffy gasping and shaking. She watched from the floor while Antonia kept talking. "It's because of the claim. You're receiving a few of the same senses Spike holds. Fun, no? Wouldn't you find that fun, Flora?"' She turned with the address, lifting one shoulder casually. "If you were mated to a human, you'd very possibly be able to feel a heartbeat every once in a while, even endure sunlight for longer than a minute."

Buffy rubbed her neck and calmed, but she felt unsettlement from somewhere inside her, somewhere far away. It felt like... Spike. She felt Spike. And he wasn't happy. She wondered if he knew what she did now, or only felt her and what she was going through. Buffy didn't know and at the moment she didn't really want to think too hard.

"I'm sorry," Antonia said, not all that regretfully, "The claim mark is sensitive to any touch that isn't welcomed, especially another demon's or... like me, an evil witch's." She winked again.

Flora stepped forward then, grabbing Antonia's attention long enough for Buffy to feel comfortable standing back up, albeit on unsteady knees that insisted on knocking together. "Will you stop talking to the brat and just silence her already? Her yelling will push me over the edge, and if you want her to live long enough to trade her for the Gem, then I can't even be NEAR the edge."

The vampire looked at Buffy and glared, almost seeing through her. Those eyes were so cold. "You're lucky I cut a deal with this fucking woman." She nodded at Antonia, crossing her arms with petulance over her black jacket. "The best revenge on Spike would be killing the woman he loves. I don't really think he actually loves you, but you're his mate, and that's enough."

"But you're not going to do that," Antonia declared, rolling her eyes so slowly and dramatically it was surprising her irises didn't disappear. "I understand that you don't understand this, but he does love her. Spike isn't any ordinary vampire. And she," Buffy got pointed at, "isn't yours to kill."

"But Spike is."

The blood in Buffy's body turned to ice. Everything suddenly boiled down to the two women heading back out the way they came. Antonia sighed with disgust, glancing at Buffy and then back to Flora. "You're very much an idiot, Flora."

"I don't care if she knows." Her voice was a grating slither of loathing, directed straight at Elizabeth and her standing as Spike's mate.

"People get desperate..." Antonia was saying in a hush as she lead the way out; Buffy thought she heard her say, "You've just made this more difficult on yourself."

Sometimes confusion was ever-present even when something was being explained to you with absolute competency. And sometimes, there was no confusion for even the most vague and half-baked ideas, just utter clarity, fueled by instinct. As the door/wall closed tightly, leaving Buffy alone once again, she felt fire and anger tie together beneath her skin, weaving like a snake around every nerve ending and blood vessel.

No one, absolutely no one, was going to touch her mate.

Buffy absently wondered, as she walked slowly over to the wall where broken wood bits decorated the floor in front of it, why Flora and Antonia had even bothered coming in to silence her yelling. She had gotten no duct tape put over her mouth, and all they'd really done was manage to piss her off.

*Maybe that's what they wanted...* she mentally growled. Her whole body was tense, like a sparkler stick or a tire iron.

Buffy still managed to kneel. She rifled carefully through the debris of the broken chair; all that angry tossing had done the trick.

She had herself a stake.

________________________________________________
Thank you all for the reviews! I'd love more feedback, let me know how you liked this chapter, please? Thanks for reading! *hugs*
Chapter 38: Captured and Calling You by Linnae13
Buffy was standing near the dirty window again, staring outside at a clouded sky. The room looked the same at first glance, the walls still covered in dirt that came from who knew where, nearly invisible holes embedded in the stone until a rat would slither through, and Buffy worked very hard on getting her skin not to crawl.

It wasn't so much rats in general that bothered her, Buffy wasn't easily scared by them, but she didn't like the idea of being alone with so many at once. One or two, fine. She just didn't want fifty crawling around her ankles.

She ignored her twenty-fourth stomach growl, idly wondering why her appetite wasn't dead yet. Between the rats, dank surroundings and unfortunate circumstances, you'd think she'd get sick at the mere idea of food.

Evidently, rocky road ice cream and a glass of milk didn't fill you up for very long.

She wondered if she'd ever be given something eat. Hunger paired itself with random bouts of dizziness, and the rushing of her blood which somehow felt like it no longer fit inside her veins. Everything around her felt constricted.

Buffy wasn't sure she could do much else but wait at this point, wait until something happened or she figured a way out.

It might take a miracle, and she knew that. She had already tugged one shackle out of the wall, and now the rusty contraption hung from its eroding stone home like a crooked coat hook. Anyone that saw it from a distance wouldn't know that it was loose enough to fall out at the slightest touch. Buffy had two weapons now. Question was, would she be able to use them?

She thought about Spike every passing moment, and not knowing how far she'd been taken from his side made her nervous. The whole situation made her nervous, obviously. She'd been fucking kidnapped.

Internally, she debated whether or not she might be being just a little dramatic, but then remembered... she wasn't. Unfortunately.

She was grateful for the ability to- somehow -know that Spike was safe, and at home. He was with the others, and he hadn't been hurt. The only thing she could sense wrong was the fact that SHE was missing, and it was driving Spike insane.

Every time she closed her eyes felt like the winds of a hurricane were blowing around her. The distance, his fear, everything... Spike wanted her back. He was terrified she was going to be killed.

Connection to him had strengthened, as if the claim knew it was an important defense against the invisible enemies in the next room.

If they WERE in the next room. Buffy believed so, she could feel them.

She was still getting dizzy, her heart rate went from calm to rapid pounding at the drop of a hat. Chills danced up and down her arms despite the fact this room was actually, for some reason she didn't understand, warm. She knew it was colder outside. She longed for the cold, for the freedom of a fast wind and a chill not caused by the disquiet in her veins.

There was no fire or electric heater, the darkness had settled into the air and corners like water seeping into a towel. All Buffy wanted was to get out, and her options were nil.

There was no visible exit. She'd already counted nearly every stone in the room, feeling crevices and lines and roughness with her fingertips. If there was a way to open that door her kidnappers came through- from the inside -she hadn't discovered it yet.

Candlelight would be nice. She didn't care how medieval it would feel with torches added to this room of dank rock. There weren't outlets anywhere and Buffy was alone in the dark. Her nerves were already on edge, she wanted the ability to see.

Little did the girl know, it would take an hour of being surrounded by absolute blackness, until her eyesight finally did more than just adjust. The discovery came so slowly, like the passing of sunset to midnight, she didn't even notice it at first.

The shadows sketched the stones. Light was nonexistent, yet her eyes were doing better in the dark than they ever had.

She moved a hand slowly back and forth in front of her face, realizing she could make out every line in her palm, the tips of her fingernails. The cracks and edges of the room, each corner, and the table still intact beside the broken chair, were all dark shapes. It was like a black light, but green outlined separate shadows, making her able to distinguish objects.

She couldn't tell color, for she was immersed in one giant black void; but she could, if not conventionally, see.

*It has to be the claim,* Buffy thought to herself. No doubt. She wasn't a vampire, a bat or a feline, or any other sort of animal that was able to see in the dark. She was only human- Although now, apparently, with a twist.

Buffy smiled.

The claim was supposed to award her with other vampire-like traits, but she'd thought they would be delayed. Buffy hadn't given a wit about them in the beginning of all this, truthfully, she had only wanted to be with Spike. Whether she got stronger or was able to see better at night hadn't mattered to her... Well, such things came in handy, after all. Hell, even fangs would be a welcome power boost right now.

Abruptly, a thought popped into her mind. Turning towards the shackles, Buffy approached the one she hadn't been able to loosen earlier.

With one good yank, it sprung out of the wall as if anxious to be free, and Buffy's teeth showed in a wonderfully bright smile.

Who would've known strength came to a mate even faster- rather than slower -when his or her other-half wasn't close enough to protect them?

***

"That was our deal!"

Flora had been complaining for nearly an hour, and frankly, Antonia wanted to kill her. "Do shut up, you blabbering moron."

Flora glared at her, ignoring the way the witch rubbed her temples and her eyes started to glow. She sat on a velvet seat near a dirty window. Moving to this broken down building- no one knew what it had been, but it seemed to be ninety percent stone -had been her idea.

The earthquake had needed to be triggered from underground, and after that, Antonia wanted a change of scenery. She said it was safer to move than to keep in the same location for too long.

Flore believed the witch had just gotten bored. It was one of the many things fueling her anger. Antonia was running the show, and she was tired of it. Not to mention, impatience clawed at her insides and her gut, and she just KNEW she had to move now.

If she could only get her hands on that little brat down the hall...

"You're going back on your word, you realize that, don't you?"

Antonia rose her perfect eyebrows high and said, "I never GIVE my word."

Flora sighed. "That's a fucking surprise. You're just a lying cunt."

Antonia tilted her head then made a swatting motion with her hand, like she was shooing away a fly. Flora's knees buckled and a groan left her lips. The sparks of agony faded quickly, it was just a flicker of pain, a reminder.

"You're much more prone to lying, dear. Now why don't you pick your sorry self up off the floor and bring our captive something to drink- No food. Just water, she'll survive."

*Wish she wouldn't,* Flora internally raged. She wanted to kill Spike, or Elizabeth; either one would do for vengeance. Antonia wasn't granting her either option. "I just want the crack at Spike you promised me. I'll accept no help if you refuse, but he is MINE. I want to see him turn to-"

"If you say 'dust' you truly are the most overdramatic vampire I've ever met."

Flora rolled her eyes and slowly stood up. "What else would I say?!"

"Anything. 'Dead' 'Ashes' Many different words, but you're very unoriginal."

"You're avoiding this! Why won't you just let me kill him when he comes for her?!"

"Because I want this to go smoothly." Antonia crossed her long legs and made a clear glass of water appear in her right hand, extending it out to Flora. "Now raise your voice again, and I'll decapitate you on the spot." She locked eyes with the vampire "And you know I don't like to repeat my threats."

Flora stormed forward, taking the glass of water and then softly, almost begging, said, "Can't I just kill her? Spike wouldn't know... you'd still get your dumb stone."

Antonia's expression spoke silently of patience waning. "They are mated, of course he'd know. I have no interest in Spike's demise, but as I told you, you'll get his ashes any way you want them after this trade is done with and I have the Gem."

Flora's grip threatened to break the glass in her hands into little shards. Antonia wanted the Gem and that was all.

Time was suddenly bearing down on the vampire's shoulders.

"Did you make that phone call yet?"

Flora glared. "No."

"Get on it," Antonia ordered.

She left the room, water still in her shaking hands. She was tired of being a puppet, never seeing results, always waiting.

That human's throat could have been ripped out ten times over by now, and it would have been the best justice for her brother who now sat rotting in hell. The only reason Flora had agreed to work with Antonia at all was because she'd thought the witch would help her kill Spike, and Flora never believed finding that stupid Gem would take this long. The powers she'd once had as a bonus were gone, and Antonia hadn't thought to give them back.

Nothing was going the way she'd planned. Nothing.

Slamming the glass of water down on a little table, she pulled her cell phone out of one of her jean pockets. This would be her last service.

***

The phone rang in the quiet kitchen, six heads all snapped up at once. Spike ran forward, cutting the ring in half. Before he could say a word, a voice sounded on the other end that made him feel as if he'd just swallowed hot coals.

"Miss your girlfriend?"

Everyone who wasn't already, stood up, their backs straight as pokers. "Flora," Spike growled.

"I'll make this plain. We have your girl. If you want to try an ambush, you and your pals will get killed before you even reach her-..." There was pause that made Spike's skin crawl, and Ace and Stevo approached his side in order to hear better. "Actually, if you try and rescue her, she'll be killed the second you make your move. I'll happily do it myself."

Spike's grip cracked the phone, his hand shaking. Stevo grabbed onto his wrist and said, very quietly, "Control yourself. Just for a minute longer."

Flora's chuckle filtered through the speaker. "Getting antsy, Spike? Worried? Would you like to hear her voice?"

The way she made the offer had everyone immediately on guard; she'd said it too syrupy sweet. "I'll get her on the phone for you."

"I have the Gem!" Spike suddenly shouted, making positive she heard him. "I'll give it to you. And that will be the end of this, I get her back UNHARMED, you understand?"

The dangerous edge in his voice went ignored. He thought he heard movement on the other end of the line, almost like something heavy being dragged across the floor. Then, Flora called out, "Elizabeth, Spike is on the phone."

Suddenly, Flora's screams rung out like a car alarm.

"Buffy!" Spike yelled, desperation suddenly scorching his insides.

Flora's yowling died down to growls quickly, a loud crash following. "You're trying to make this harder on yourself, aren't you?! Well fine! At least now I have an excuse!"

Buffy's shout of pain bounced off the walls and ran through Spike. He felt the force of it in his abdomen like a double fisted punch. Ace caught the phone.

Mayhem ensued. "Get- ugh -off!" Buffy grunted, then did so again and again.

The sound of flesh meeting stone was clear; Flora was hitting her, repeatedly, on the chest and face. Spike's head whipped to the side.

He wouldn't bruise, but he felt everything. He couldn't breathe, but he knew he wasn't the one in need of oxygen.

Flora covered Buffy's face with her bundled jacket. No screams made it out, though she tried, spitting and cursing behind dusty fabric. Spike felt her fading, fighting for breath as her struggling waned down to feeble hits. He wheezed and ordered, "Get off her! Get the HELL OFF OF HER!"

Ace held the phone up to his ear. "If you kill her you don't get the Gem! We know you're working for someone else who wants it and we have it- STOP HURTING HER!"

Blake's head was throbbing, he'd never felt such seething hatred. He was experiencing his own, and Rex was gripping the edge of the countertop as waves of fury shot out from his tense body like whips. Stevo and Dylan had their heads in their hands, teeth grit, overwhelming pounds of sadness and distress and anger lumping in their throats... So much anger... Ace was still screaming. Spike was near dying; the force of the agony finally brought Blake to his knees, but he bit his lip and kept quiet.

Flora was a dead woman.

***

Antonia heard the noise. She sensed the fight as if she could see through the walls into the room where Flora was nearly going insane. Evidently, young Elizabeth had bravery; that, or almost as much stupidity as the vampire currently screaming at the top of her lungs.

Honestly, she didn't know why Flora insisted on making like a howler monkey.

Elizabeth must have caught the jump on Flora and somehow managed to harm her. Antonia only cared enough to listen and make sure the animal didn't lose all control and kill Elizabeth. She was, after all, the only way of getting the Gem- Well, the only EASY way. Contrary to popular belief, Antonia merely TOLERATED messy brawling and war, she didn't truly enjoy either.

What she enjoyed was power, and power she would have. As long as her idiot "partner" didn't ruin anything, she could get what she wanted fairly easily. And if not, she always had a backup plan.

She sighed when the screaming ceased. Spike would be more angry than ever after this little attack, but perhaps that would get the Gem here faster, and make him sloppy at attempting an ambush.

Antonia had used the earthquake as a little nudge... Reverse psychology: If Spike believed Elizabeth was in danger because of the Gem of Amara, he'd work harder to find it.

And then he had.

The witch smiled, then let it fall. She didn't really mind that he had just heard as well as felt everything thrown at his young mate. Elizabeth would live, Antonia could sense her soul from here.

And Flora... Well, maybe this had gotten something out of the child's system, perhaps she'd be more patient now.

A draft caught at the hem of her golden dress, and Antonia frowned. She looked to her left and then her right before standing up. She walked over to the table where the glass of water Flora had left behind sat in a ring of condensation.

The cool glass felt almost soothing against her hot skin. She'd been using more power than she should lately trying to get a glimpse of the Gem. It wasn't working, unfortunately, and she truly had no idea what the stone looked like. She'd seen two pictures of it, but they had the Gem shown in different inlays. One was a necklace, the other a crown, in black and white both. She couldn't know what type of jewelry it had been turned into since those drawings were completed. Very annoying.

Antonia opened the heavy stone wall which acted as a door by pulling the lever at her hip, then walked in to see a gasping human lying on the floor and Flora with her fist risen above both their heads. "Enough."

The vampire spun around. Her cell phone hadn't disconnected, and now, in the silence of the room, she heard demands being shouted from the other line, desperation as clear as crystal.

"Spike..." Buffy groaned. Reassurance felt like a wet coffee stain in her mind, a weak stamp of comfort. Maybe he could simply hear her words through the phone if she told him she was okay, maybe he'd sense her feelings.

The jump at Flora in the darkness hadn't gone well.

Buffy had her stake and she'd planned to just ram it into the vampire's chest, quick and to the point (pun intended). Needless to say, her plan hadn't worked.

Flora was faster than she could have guessed. Buffy was thrown to the floor after knocking the other woman down and banging her fangy face into the ground merely once. She thought she might have broken Flora's nose, but that was about all she'd done before she'd gotten the crap beat out of her.

Now, beside coughing and waning agony, she felt Spike. He was suffering with her, nearly splitting at the seams of control. Sensing his screams through the claim made her feel sick. She should have had a better plan before attacking a vampire. Buffy had never felt foolhardy before in her life, but as Antonia took Flora's arm and hauled her up, she wanted to cry. Not because of the pain, but because she'd really screwed up.

"Get yourself cleaned up," Antonia said, disgusted as she stared at Flora's nose, all bloody and crooked. "You let a human get the jump on you. Very nice."

Vengeful eyes directed at her attacker, Flora stormed off, leaving Buffy with the witch.

Antonia picked up the shouting cell phone from the ground, setting the glass of water in her hand beside Elizabeth's head.

"I want the Gem," she said into the speaker, "Bring it to me in two hours or Elizabeth isn't going to live past midnight. I'm sure Spike can feel she isn't being harmed anymore, don't you all wish to keep it that way?"

***

Ace breathed against the phone like he'd just run a mile. "You'll get your Gem, give us your location."

Spike rose from the floor, dizzy and his demon snarling. "Give me the phone," he demanded, in such a gravel that Ace swallowed hard before handing it to him. Everyone in the room stared, while Spike picked up a pen and jotted the directions down on a stray piece of paper.

"I'll see you in two hours."

Before she could hang up, he said, "I want to talk to her."

Antonia considered. "Alright. Hang on."

He heard nothing but two footsteps. Spike knew Flora was no longer in the room with Buffy, but such comfort was little.

"She's quite battered," the Witch claimed.

Spike growled. "Put her on the phone. Now."

A second later, it was Buffy's voice he heard. "Spike?"

"Pet, you okay?" he croaked, a catch in his words. He wanted to sound casual, considerate, and damn the feelings inside him. He knew she felt them as surely as he felt his own blood boiling, and she didn't need to go through his agony as well as her own. "Are you okay?" he repeated quickly, when she didn't answer fast enough.

"I'm... I'm sorry." Buffy was nearly whispering, but her tone screamed of shame. "I shouldn't have tried to stake her, Spike. That's why she went after me, I'm sorry."

"Don't you dare."

"I know how this is all hurting you-"

"Stop! This wasn't your fault, you hear me?" His anger got the better of him but he didn't care. She could not believe she was to blame, he wouldn't allow it. "You just stay strong for me, yeah? Don't be jumpin on anymore vamps' backs, right? We'll get you outta there."

"Spike..." Her voice was tight, and controlled, but weak all the same. "I love you. Don't get hurt. Please. I couldn't- You can't-"

"I'm not gonna get hurt, I'm gonna come an get you. I won't let anyone lay a hand on you again, that's a promise." It had to be, for himself as well as for her. "I love you, too, kitten. I love you."

Spike brushed a hand along his cheek as Buffy let a stubborn tear fall from her sore eyes. She coughed and leaned her face against one propped up knee. "I love you," she said again, no longer sounding so small. "We'll both be fine. I'm coming home, Spike."

"Bloody right you are."

Antonia snatched the phone back before another breath could be taken . "Two hours. Bring me the Gem, or I'll burn her." The return of the dial tone was like a gunshot fired.
_______________________________________
Thanks for the reviews and for sticking with this story! Please leave feedback, i love it, as always!
Chapter 39: Finished by Linnae13
"Where IS the bloody thing?!"

The house was filled with running men and their frantic bellows, no one could find the Gem of Amara. Searching had been done high and low, and now Rex stood in the kitchen, staring at the refrigerator like it was an enemy. He remembered leaving the bracelet up there. He also remembered how fucking loud Spike could be in times of panic.

The vampire was in the living room, tearing apart his home and snarling and swearing, all in the name of finding the Gem as quickly as possible. Dylan and Blake were upstairs on their hands and knees, while Ace covered the basement.

It had been about fifteen minutes since that phone call, fifteen minutes since they'd all learned exactly where they could find Buffy, and fifteen minutes of desperate seeking.

Rex had already looked all throughout Spike's car, and yes, there was some damage done to the upholstery.

Just as the thunderbird was considering how best to take apart the refrigerator in front of him, Dylan entered the room and spoke to him almost coldly. "Did you lose it, Rex?"

"You saw me put the thing up there yourself, jagoff."

Dylan looked at where Rex pointed, then back to the thunderbird he wanted to beat right now. "If you lost it..."

"Damn it, Dylan!" Rex yelled. "I didn't LOSE it!"

"He's right." Stevo entered suddenly, with hair a wild mess and a dust bunny stuck to the denim of his jeans; he'd searched just about everywhere a mouse could hide. "I realized something. We all saw Rex put that bracelet up there, excluding Spike." He faced Rex. "I know you didn't lose it, and if it isn't in the kitchen, then it had to have been taken out of the house."

Rex frowned, understanding the man was thinking within reason, but still lost. "But no one-"

"No one in this house has held it, since you put it up there," the gypsy pointed at the fridge, which had been moved earlier in order to search behind it. "No one, IN THIS HOUSE."

Realization dawned, and at once Rex and Dylan both bellowed for Spike.

The vampire came rushing in like a hurricane wind. "Did you find-"

"Buffy has it."

Blue eyes widened with a cold rush, and he knew well that Dylan wasn't joking.

"It has to be why we can't find it," he said. "She must have put the bracelet on before she was taken."

Spike swallowed hard, running shaking fingers through his hair and nearly ripping it out. His nerves were on fire. "How come the witch doesn't know what it looks like?! If Buffy has it, then so does she- She has no reason to keep Buffy alive if-" His voice got desperate.

"She might not know what it looks like," Stevo interrupted. "It took us quite a while to find that picture, and it wasn't in a place we had ever thought to look. Dylan happened upon it by near chance."

It was times like these when the truth felt something like a wrecking ball hitting you in the chest. Ace came in from the hall and said he'd written in the note left to Buffy and Spike that the Gem was on top of the fridge, it made sense she had been curious enough to pick it up again.

"She's not stupid... she won't tell the witch she has it if Antonia doesn't recognize it." Spike was talking to his hands, looking down at them where knuckles clenched over skin and bone vibrated like tuning forks.

"What if she's screwing with us," Blake suddenly stepped in, words reluctantly leaving his lips. "What if she knows Buffy's wearing the Gem, and she wants you, Spike? What if there's another agenda?"

He shook his head. "Buffy would've warned me somehow, and unless Antonia is fucking with her too, Dru's visions paint a clear picture."

"It's still possible," Stevo conceded.

"Which is why we need a plan," Rex said brusquely, irritated with slowness and strategic graphing at this point. "And a backup plan, most likely."

"Well, assume she knows what all of us are," Blake said. He leaned against the doorframe and crossed his arms, looking like a hardnosed general. "We don't have a jump on her then. Not with any of our powers or tricks."

"Do you really think she knows every detail about us?" Ace said doubtfully. "She's been too damn focused on Spike to bother giving a crap about any of us."

"Still, we can't take a chance," Stevo said.

"Rex is right, we need a battle plan," Spike said. "Christ knows whether they'll hand Buffy over without a catch, an with Flora close..." The vampire shook his head. "No, it's not gonna be simple. That bitch wants to see me rot worse than I think Antonia the Wicked wants the bleedin Gem."

"They..." Dylan mumbled to himself before announcing: "The vampires we've been fighting are Flora and Antonia's lackeys. The idea of going up against a powerful witch isn't a fun one, but her plus a crowd of vamps is even worse."

"She's probably depending on them." Ace groaned inside his head, recalling strategies and old battles, trying to come up with a solution- Or at least an idea that might lead to one.

"We can't just assume she's a moron," Spike said. "She's going to have a backup plan, too, in case we try an ambush."

"Oh, we aren't ambushing," Stevo said. "We'll need to attack from the sidelines, get inside and find Buffy, THEN make a move. We simply need a good one."

"What if we did just give up the Gem?" Blake asked. "You think that's enough to stall Flora's bloodlust?"

"Fuck no," Rex interjected. "That she-vamp will have a knife against Buffy's throat during the exchange, then she'll slit it the second Antonia has the Gem and gives the go-ahead."

Spike winced visibly at the description but grit his teeth to stay silent.

Stevo crossed his arms. "You do think Flora's more of a helper than anything else in this. That Antonia's running the show?"

"Didn't we already discuss this?!" Rex replied irritably.

"We're wasting time!" Spike suddenly screamed. The room was getting smaller, and his heart felt constricted by barbed wire. He needed Buffy safe, now. "Look," he started, eyes closed and thoughts running on a treadmill, "no matter how prepared this witch is, power always runs out. If we can cause a huge battle or somethin, somehow drain her... Then maybe we can weaken her enough to get to Buffy first. But we've gotta make sure Flora's nowhere near my mate."

Stevo strode to the counter where his journal sat open and taking up space; he quickly started flipping through it, fingertips blurring along the paper edges. "I just might have a spell."

"Is it strong enough?" Dylan asked.

"I'll have to amplify it," he said, considering, "but I think..." Stevo smiled as he looked down at the page, "it'll work."

Ace moved to peek around the gypsy's shoulder. "I'll get you the herbs."

"What can we do to cause commotion?" Dylan asked. "Just something to distract her from the hex being placed on her. It has to be something big, though, I think."

A grin slowly spread across Blake's lips. "No matter how prepared the witch-bitch is," he said, looking at Rex and sizing him up, "I don't think she'll be expecting a thunderbird."

Ace was rummaging through cabinets and grabbing jars. "Better get ready to suit up then, Tweety."

For once, the tall brunette with an attitude didn't snap, and instead, only smirked.

Stevo already had out his mortar and pestle. "Let's get our girl back."

***

It had been an hour since the phone call and the space of her captivity felt colder. Her skin was clammy from sweat. Buffy had been counting the minutes to pass the time and ignore physical pain. The water the witch had given her wasn't enough to quench her thirst, so she'd asked for two more glasses but only one had been delivered. Buffy wasn't worried about being drugged simply because there wasn't a reason for it, and frankly, water was more important to her at the moment.

She knew Spike was coming for her, she just didn't understand why he was taking so long. The whole group must be formulating a plan, and while she tried to think of things to do in order to help, Buffy felt more like a sitting duck than any kind of asset.

Flora was outside, lurking beyond this room like a cat hunting its prey. Buffy should have been frightened, but the more she thought about it, Flora pacing back and forth trying to control the urge to kill, the more Buffy wanted to see the vampire's bruised up face. She wanted another go at her, despite the knowledge that failure was the most likely outcome.

She couldn't sense Spike anymore, their connection resembled a crackly radio station, eighty percent static. The moments she felt him, it was like salt crystals sprinkling her skin, tiny little specs of awareness along her nerves. Her body could have been frozen or on fire and all Buffy would feel was her blood trying to escape her skin. She'd never been pulled to someone in this way, she'd never felt like there was a hook yanking at her, scarring her, hurting until she relented to the tug. Yet she couldn't relent, she had to sit still.

Suddenly, the invisible door opened again. Flora stepped in. She glared at Buffy with inhuman eyes and an unheard snarl on her lips.

The brunette let the wall close behind her before approaching; Buffy stood her ground. Looking at the vampire's crooked nose, she knew her own face had to look even worse. Her eyes were half swollen, her stomach had light blue marks that would surely darken, and her head ached; Flora must look a pretty picture compared.

"I've been wondering when you'd come back in here," Buffy said. The bravado in her tone wasn't faked, she was too tired and angry to put on a show.

The vampire ran forward and grabbed her arms, shoving her into the nearest wall before spitting words at her. "The witch is asleep," she talked like Antonia was a curse, a poison. "Which means you're mine."

Buffy's eyes widened while apprehension started to pulse through her veins, and her emotions were suddenly shared again. Clearly. The connection was ignited as if by an electric shock as one mate was placed in danger again, panic the trigger.

Flora backhanded her and pain exploded behind Buffy's eyelids. "You are good for one of two things. One: I can kill you," Flora gripped her chin with harsh fingers, "Two: I can use you to bring Spike to me."

Buffy wanted to claw her face and tear her apart, but she was immobile against the wall. Confusion and knowledge, caution, it all held her quiet and stilled in place.

Flora said, "I think I'll take you out of Antonia's greedy hands first."

Buffy almost asked what she meant, but then a grim smile fell upon Flora's strangely sallow face and the girl didn't want to speak. The vampire looked desperate, and that was either useful or dangerous.

"There is a way out of here, it's guarded, but I can fix that," she said, her tone a whisper. "There's another door in the wall. This one," she knocked against the stone behind Buffy's head. "I'll pull the lever outside. Then the wall will open and you'll follow the little passageway down to the second floor. There, I'll be waiting for you, and we're going to leave."

Another door. A secret... passageway? Seriously? A lever? What the actual hell, was she in a fantasy novel right now? "Okay." Somehow, Buffy managed not to clench her jaw when she spoke.

Flora smiled again, this time actually showing some teeth. "Good. In ten minutes, you go through that door."

"What about the witch?"

The question came after Flora had pushed off the wall, after she'd headed toward the exit and was about to leave. When Buffy's voice hit the air, she'd stopped, and at the question turned around. In the ensuing silence, Flora listened to the human pulse, knowing she couldn't bite the mate of another, and her mouth watered and her hatred grew. "Don't worry about the witch."

She left. It was anticlimactic and Buffy didn't have to calm her heartbeats.

Flora was going to kill her, or use her as bait. She didn't question why Buffy was so cooperative, she didn't suspect any problems from the already bruised up little human. It was insulting, it was the vampire's only way out, it was a choice that bordered on the psychotic.

Antonia must really not know about this, and Buffy wondered why her gut was telling her to take Flora's threatening escape plan rather than wait for Spike. She wondered why she hadn't been scared when Flora told her exactly why she wanted to sneak her out of here. She wondered, but received no answers.

Buffy pulled the stake out of her back pocket and turned the thing around in her hands. This was a secret, so were the manacles, but those she couldn't hide on her person. Sighing, the girl turned and faced the wall which was supposed to open up.

She couldn't believe it, she'd looked everywhere; there was honestly no way out? Each door had to be opened from the outside? The room must have really been a dungeon at one point.

Buffy ran her hands through her hair and winced at brushing a sore spot on the back of her head. She needed to think, needed to figure out a good angle on Flora's plan then use it against her. Spike would be here soon, the two hours was almost up.

That meant Flora was in a rush, if Antonia was asleep, the witch wouldn't be for long.

Flora was in a rush... Hmm...

She might be able to push that to her advantage. When in a hurry, you always forget something.

***

Antonia had been resting for no more than ten minutes. Half an hour to the two hour deadline, and she'd gone to rest on a settee.

But rest included tossing and turning and sweating. She was exhausted. The power she'd been using recently really was too much, she should have conserved a bit more.

The urge to see the Gem for herself, now that it was so close, was hard to ignore. She simply wanted a glimpse, and once she cast her spell, she'd never have to worry about saving up energy again.

However, now was not that time...

Honestly, what was that banging?! Her brain kept throbbing inside her skull, which never happened unless she had used up nearly all of her strength. She didn't think... No, she couldn't have.

Antonia rubbed her temples and groaned when the door of her quiet room flew open. Irritation ran through her veins. "What is it?" she demanded.

A nervous looking vampire stood with his hands behind his back, a stammer in his deep voice. "I think... Well, ma'am, I believe Flora is- She told me to leave my post, ma'am."

Antonia popped open one bright eye, ignoring the creature's gasp. "Why would she do that? And why did you LISTEN to her?"

"I-I- Well, I thought I should t-tell you-"

"Stop the stutter."

"Yes. Sorry, ma'am, I uh... She told me she wanted to guard the exit."

In a flash, Antonia was off of her settee and striding towards the hallway. To her left, down a stone staircase and around a corner of crumbling rock, she found Flora making for the second door which lead to Elizabeth's room. "What do you think you're doing?" she demanded.

Flora spun and stared. Antonia was no longer in her gold gown, but instead she was wearing black, the long bell sleeves of the dress were lined with deep blue velvet that matched her glowing eyes and her feet were bare. There were charcoal pictures on the backs of her hands, and Flora frowned, realizing she'd never seen the witch look so out of sorts. "What happened to you?"

"Answer me!" she shouted.

The vampire blinked and swallowed. "Is this," she waved a negligent hand, "what you're wearing for the ritual?"

Flora yowled the next moment, her knees hitting the floor and her head throbbing while Antonia's eyes glowed with an even more powerful flame. "ANSWER MY QUESTION!" she bellowed. It wasn't a shrill noise, nor was it unsteady, but there was a strain to the words that managed to shake Flora's nerves.

She grit her teeth. "I'm guarding the other exit."

"You're trying to best me, you foolish child."

Flora let her gaze widen. "No! I'm not crazy! Why would I-"

"Because you've never been the patient sort!" Antonia walked slowly up to the vampire as Flora stood up again, and looked down her nose while she breathed in deep gulps. Her teeth nipped at the ends of her words like a shark ready to eat. "Tell me a lie, I dare you."

Flora swallowed hard, her gaze steady. "I'm not lying."

Dust particles met the air in a whoosh, a head and body disintegrating along with a well worn jacket and jeans. Flora's teeth, eyes, kneecaps and fingertips, fell on the floor in a grey pile, Antonia's feet right beside them.

The witch dusted off her hands as she leaned against the wall. Her head hurt even worse. The little power she used... it never lasted anymore! Ever since that earthquake, she'd felt somewhat drained, and she hadn't been able to get back to her norm for unknown reasons. Her patience had waned nearly as thin as Flora's, and maybe it was age, maybe it was apprehension or maybe stress, but her endurance was nearly up.

Antonia walked away rubbing her temples again, sighing with a twinge of regret. If she had known that killing the vampire would make her headache worse, she might have fought harder for self control.

Well, at least she wouldn't have to worry about the idiot causing problems anymore.

Antonia turned the corner and headed back to her awaiting settee, never knowing that just a little farther down the hallway, past the ash lying on the ground, there was a lever pushed slightly out of place.

***

Buffy thought she'd be ready but she still jumped when the wall moved. Running forward, gripping her stake between sweaty hands that weighed heavy with impatience, she knew she was either making a huge mistake, or finding her way out.

Buffy had to assume Flora would be ready for anything she was willing to try, so she had to think outside the box, do something the vamp would never consider. She pressed against the wall and wiggled inside the dark passage, descending immediately and praying to anything or anyone that would listen, that she got out of this alive. If not for herself, then definitely for Spike.

She knew the facts. If half of a mated pair died, then surely the other would follow. She swallowed hard and pushed away the thoughts which plagued her mind, instead choosing to focus on her footsteps. Quiet and even, one in front of the other. The walls were so close together that she probably couldn't fit two of herself in here.

Buffy slipped the stake under her shirt hem. It was Spike's black T, which meant it was big enough on her to conceal the weapon fairly easily. She had another, a frailer and shorter piece of wood tucked between her waistband and lower back, as well.

The ground suddenly started to shake beneath her feet, and Buffy moved faster. She ran down through the long passage and thought to herself, *It can't be another earthquake. If it is, I owe Rex twenty bucks.*

She cursed when she saw a thin stream of light ahead and a large shadow against the opposite wall. The end of the passage was five unsteady steps away, and even with the walls shaking, she didn't want to go forward. Flora would end her. Antonia was moving now, and Flora was going to take her life to get back at Spike.

Buffy closed her eyes. *Fuck!* she shouted in her mind, then plowed into the lighted hallway.

Warmth hit her face and she realized it was because there was a torch just beside her cheek. She jerked away and spun around.

Right into the arms of a vampire. One that was not Flora, one that was much taller, male, and about as big as a truck.

He held her in a concrete grip, and Buffy bit the inside of her cheek to keep from screaming.

***

Thunderbirds, they've always been the temperamental sort.

Spike smiled up at his friend as Rex finally finished with beating his wings and shaking the building.

Antonia's bright-eyed face showed in a window high up, to which Spike raised the bracelet in his hand above his head. It was Buffy's nightmare charm.

Stevo and Dylan stood beside him, the others already inside. They knew where Buffy was, they also knew, the witch was not well.

Stevo said that once they had gotten inside the boundary which caused all their earlier tracking spells to fail, and Rex started the "commotion," he'd locked onto Antonia with their draining one. It had only taken a minute. The witch was already weakened from her own overuse of magick, soon she would be feeling quite desperate for some juice.

Spike was hardly calm, but knowing Ace and Blake's locations were hidden, and he could sense Buffy, managed to keep him from raging inside. There was a plan, they'd cooked it up and then added four backups to follow. Spike had his weapons, an axe strapped to his back and his fangs, which would be all he needed.

He was getting his mate back, and no doubts were present. He refused to let them be.

Two vampires opened the thick wooden double doors of the building. Spike walked forward and entered, and when the guards tried to hold Stevo and Dylan back, they were promptly staked, out of sight from the windows. Stevo and Spike closed the doors hurriedly.

They were in a room empty of anything besides two open doorways and one set of stairs. They immediately strode towards the ascending level and made it to next floor two within five seconds. They were met by twenty vampires, fangs barred and fists made.

Stevo withdrew the little knife he'd slipped underneath his shirt sleeve and shot a grin Dylan's way, who removed his glasses. "Let our friend pass," the gypsy said, pushing Spike forward until he nearly bumped chests with a fellow vamp.

Spike's eyes turned amber yellow as he sent a toothy smile up at the beefy jock of a vampire in front of him. "Might wanna let me through, mate. I'm expected."

***

Buffy didn't respond when the vamp asked her what she thought she was doing. She just shook her head and began to cry.

Fake cry, that is. She wasn't an easy crier, remember.

He rolled his eyes and pressed her against his chest, and she had to choke back a gag. Being this close to another male, especially a vampire, was not very comforting to the claim.

She wriggled in his arms enough to seem like she was trying to get away while he carried her, bodily, down the hallway. She kept quiet.

Her stake was pressing into her stomach and her fingers, rough wood scratched her skin. She ground her teeth and let him carry her, until finally she pretended to fight for air. Buffy gasped, "C-Can't br-breathe."

He loosened his hold only a little but it was enough for her to grab her stake fully and remove it from the waistband of her jeans. He dropped her when he saw it, and Buffy hit the floor with a groan.

"Little bitch..." he muttered, taking a step closer. She stayed still, being sure to cough and act very much like a weakened, helpless female.

Buffy had to bite her lip not to smile when his bruising grip wrapped around her arms again. Her stake lay useless on the ground.

The other found itself imbedded in the vampire's heart, already tugged from the crevice between her jeans and spine before she plunged it through his chest. She watched that fangy face crumble into dust before her own.

Buffy fell as her sluggish captor blended with the air. She grabbed the other piece of wood on the ground and thanked the Gods for miracles, and gullible males.

***

Antonia stormed into the empty room, standing beside two very confused henchman of the vampire sort. She looked at the open wall across from her, into an empty room.

Her resounding scream of anger had all of the vampires on that floor covering their ears.

Her eyes were vibrant hued sapphires as she left the place where a set of manacles lay rusted on the floor.

***

Spike walked into an open room filled with vampires standing along the walls, men and women of different sizes and statures, nearly all of them with their arms crossed over their chests looking more important than they actually were. Surely they were being paid or promised things, for they seemed to want to be there.

It unsettled Spike knowing Buffy had been near so many enemies, but he fought down the worry. Things had to go smoothly now-

A scream of outrage reverberated overhead, and Spike looked up to where there was a balcony. The room was all open, lacking in any furniture and filled with dust, the stone walls bare except for the monsters lining them. Lights above were all nearly broken, making the air look dim and glittery. He stared at the doorways above him, the third floor was busy with noise and discontent.

He searched for Buffy's soul in the absence of his own, meeting with barely any feeling at all, but he could tell she wasn't being hurt. That made him relax, yet only marginally.

A tall woman with glowing blue eyes and thick black hair blowing behind her ran out to lean over the balcony.

*So this is Antonia,* Spike thought, his demon snarling beneath the surface even as he scowled at her with a face of ridges and fangs. The colors of the bracelet he held collided with the demonic flare of his gaze as he raised the trinket up high. "This is what you wanted, isn't it?!"

The shout brought Antonia's attention, and she stared at the bracelet with longing. She ignored the feeling of a hammer banging against the inside of her head and sent an order to the minion nearest to Spike. "Get it from him."

The blonde clenched the bracelet closer to his chest and demanded, "My mate first."

Antonia's face twisted into an unsympathetic sneer. "Your friend has cast a spell on me, I can feel it. If I weren't so weak already, I'd be able to deflect it."

Spike's eyes widened but he held his tongue.

"Unfortunately," Antonia said, in a tone filled imperiously with impatience, "even without your draining spell, I haven't been as up to par as I'd like to be, so you see, it really is a vicious circle."

Where was she going with this?

Suddenly, the bracelet in Spike's hand was yanked at by an unseen force. He held fast and cursed. "Give me Buffy, or you don't get the Gem!"

"You haven't played fairly, Spike," she declared. "Once the spell is lifted, I will give you Elizabeth. Or, once I have the Gem. I have nothing against you. Trust me, you aren't worth the time it would take to kill you."

Spike clenched the bracelet in his fist. This wouldn't do. He needed to see Buffy in his sights before any exchange was made. *Where are you, kitten? Come on out for me... Please.*

***

Buffy stared down from the shadows. She was fighting every instinct that screamed at her to run to her mate. Spike was right there, but she was still so far away.

She weighed the options in her head. Should she reveal herself? Spike didn't look ready to budge, he needed to know she was nearby before he gave the "Gem" up, and Antonia would no doubt figure out it wasn't the real thing once she had it in her hands.

Buffy took a deep, silent breath.

A slow step forward brought her closer to leaving the quiet hallway where she hid, a second brought her into the light covering the balcony floor.

It was as if he'd sensed her, for Spike turned around and looked directly at Buffy as she made her presence known without making a sound. She smiled tremulously at him and didn't hear Antonia shout an order to a vampire on the same floor as she, to retrieve her.

Spike did, and was momentarily distracted long enough for Antonia's powers to lift the bracelet from his hands. It floated up to her and as the little amber stone glinted as it flew, Spike bolted for the stairs.

He'd noticed it behind the vampires along the wall just in front of him, and knew they had to lead up to the third floor. At first, no one stopped him.

That is, until Antonia had the bracelet in her hands, and she ogled the stone with reverence... and felt it barely hum with magickal power. Softly, she caressed it, while a frown trailed along her lips.

She realized quickly, that what she held was nothing more than a little charm, not the Gem of Amara.

It nearly cut into her skin with as tightly as she squeezed the bracelet. "Stop him!"

The vampires reacted at once.

Spike moved frantically. He threw a punch into the first face he encountered and ran like lightning along a wire from the others behind him.

It was the moment. Stevo and Dylan were quickly dispatching of the vamps near the entrance and Ace and Blake were breaking out of their hiding places on the third floor, running headlong at the first opponents they faced.

Rex changed, and with his clothing still intact he was able to scale down the wall to a nearby window on the second floor in a moment. The sound of breaking glass resonated in the wide open room. Vampires left and right looked at the man and stared. Rex smirked, twirling a little dagger with a pointy wooden handle around in his fingers.

Blood pumped in her ears as Buffy ran the opposite way of an approaching vamp. She caught sight of two more coming from the other side of the balcony. With a gulp, Buffy stared uncertainly at the fifteen foot drop to the floor with vampires abounds and... Rex.

She smiled. The gang was here.

Spike was bombarded when he made it to the balcony. Six vamps came at him, throwing punches. He took a clip to the jaw and his head snapped back with the blow. In quick decision, he jumped high and gripped onto the edge of the doorway. Kicking out with inhuman strength knocked four vampires to the ground, and he dropped to his feet to deliver a roundhouse kick to another. He received a punch in the abdomen, then turned on the deliverer to leave her with a bloody nose and one less tooth.

Rex was slicing and dicing. He jumped above the heads of the vamps coming for him and used them like stepping stones. Dropping to the floor again, he hit three at once with a kick and took a stake wound in his shoulder. "Son of a bitch!" He whirled and sent the vampire down with one punch. "Fuckers can't even- ugh! -tell if they're fighting-" a backhanded hit sent another opponent to the floor, "-one of their own or not!"

Dust particles began decorating the hectic air, by the time Ace had sprung into the fray from a stairwell hidden by an alcove, Rex had already staked five vampires. More came. Ace threw his axe with his shoulder muscles jerking at the force of it, passing through two jugulars, one directly after another.

Spike pushed through the ash and left the hallway empty. Pounding footsteps of ascending vampires sounded behind him, but he ignored them and ran ahead. Antonia stood silent and fuming in the corner of the balcony, he barely spared her a glance. His eyes locked onto Buffy's nervous form, a room's width away. She was surrounded, vamps on each side.

He bolted to his left. There were fangs awaiting him, wanting to clash and dust. Spike staked as fast as he could. He had to spin around and face five more that came from the stairwell at his back. His nerves zapped as if short circuited. He wasn't going to get to her in time, he was delayed too long, Buffy was already meeting with her own opponents and-

During a quick glance, Spike saw her pulled into the dark hallway imbedded in the wall and nearly threw himself over the railing as he shouted her name. Then Blake sprung out from the shadows and took aim with a crossbow.

The empath had blood dripping down his forehead. He moved with speed that was hard to see, and ducked and landed an uppercut to the beefy vamp approaching his left when he ran out of arrows. Spinning, he kicked another in the head and the vampire flew backwards. Ducking, Blake dodged a punch and delivered three in return. He staked two more vamps in a blink.

Turning, he grabbed Buffy's wrist from the darkness of the hallway. She looked at him with wide eyes and laughed, "I'm glad you're fast."

Blake smiled at her. "You're the first woman to ever say that to me." He turned around, eyeing Spike taking out vamps in the distance. "Wrap your arms around my neck."

Buffy did as she was told. "Why?"

"Because we're about to jump."

"Wait- What?! Spike is up-"

Her protest was cut off as Blake leaped over the railing. The landing was stumble-y but she managed not to lose grip. "Why'd we come down here?!"

"It's closer to the exit, dollface." Blake took two stakes out of his back pockets and tossed one to her. Buffy caught then frowned when he pointed at the crowd of riled fighters. "There's Stev, Dylan won't be far behind." He threw a glance at her. "I've gotta get you outta here, keep close."

She threw an anxious look up at Spike, who was still fighting on the balcony, but before she could blink, Blake was moving. Shoving and staking, he maneuvered like an impatient boxer through the throng, jabbing and ducking and shielding her.

Spike coughed on ashes and leaned over the railing as he looked down. Mayhem swirled around in a pattern of dusted vampires and five lone fighters, and his mate, following one through the fray. Blake kept the vamps at a distance from her, but Buffy was still enclosed.

Spike hopped off the balcony and landed on a vamp who was gunning for Dylan's spikey form. Quickly, he bashed the vamp's face in and then threw a stake into its heart. He was at a dead run before the dust settled.

Buffy felt him behind her before he was ten feet away. She turned around and met his blue eyes, an anxious feeling running over her just before a vampire pounced in between them.

Spike blinked as the she-vamp suddenly burst into gray specs, her ashes falling to the ground. There in the cloud of dust, with a picture of fists flying and axes beheading in the background, Buffy stood with a stake in her hand at eye level. She smiled at him and Spike sped to her.

He enveloped her in his arms and lifted her up, Buffy had enough time to press an urgent kiss to his fangs, but then they were at odds again with their surroundings. Her feet met the ground. Rex went down in the distance, three vamps piling on top of him before Dylan could rush forward to take one off. The thunderbird staked another, and kicked the third off towards Ace.

The black-eyed man dusted absentmindedly before landing a punch to the jaw of another. Blake barely touched the ground, he threw kick after kick at the approaching vamps. Dylan staked the one that landed closest to his feet.

Spike kept Buffy at his side, he punched as hard as he could at the crowd, staking vamps in their backs and taking cheap shots as he fought to get her out.

Buffy couldn't hide from every vampire eye, though. She kept her stake down low and only used it when the aim was good and chests were close. She threw her stake into the hearts of two more undead, one fist always gripping the back of Spike's coat as she followed him.

Numbers were depleting. Antonia, still on the third floor balcony and as observant as an angry hawk, watched in dismay as her little army went to war against five men and slowly fell to dust. With her eyes blazing indigo, and the vibrations in her brain, rage pulsed through her veins; she dropped the little trinket in her hand to the floor.

Looking at her captive quickly making way through the crowd, Antonia ground her teeth. Her eyes narrowed. This wasn't going to work, she would have to reset her plans, get the Gem some other way. She was too weak to use much power, an old spell was making it worse, locked onto her body with invisible claws and sucking her dry. She almost had respect for that tough fighting gypsy down below, the magick pressing down on her was no doubt his work.

Antonia stared heatedly down at them all, thinking of her backup plan. It wouldn't work now, not with the chaos ensuing. She did have one more option, but it was hard to tell if-

Abruptly, something shiny caught her eye, something glowing from a slender wrist in the thinning swarm. Another bracelet, on Elizabeth's wrist, Antonia had seen it before, yes, but... It was nearly... identical to the one currently laying at her feet.

Buffy threw her arms up in attempt to dust a vampire on her right, but too quickly her wrists were enclosed in slender hands. She kneed the female in the stomach and got no more than a grunt. Buffy lunged forward and bit the hands holding her own captive as hard as she could. The vampire lunged back, releasing her grip. Buffy threw a punch out of pure anger before dusting.

Spike wrapped his arm about her torso and hauled her off her feet away from the falling ashes. Buffy was stepping after him when abruptly, she got ripped away.

The lurch on her arm made her curse. Spike's head whipped around.

Antonia had Buffy. She held a small dagger up to her throat to keep her still, glowing eyes locked on the bracelet.

She knew... Buffy gulped, staring at the way the witch held her hand, harsh yet somehow cautious. Antonia knew what it was she was wearing.

"This is the Gem, isn't it?" she said for Buffy's ears only, her tone coated with desperation. "I can feel it."

Spike lunged forward and was tackled by a lone vamp. Antonia backed up with Buffy as her hostage. Spike threw his opponent off of him and Buffy watched Stevo stake it the next second. The room was still in chaos, the fight still raging. Blake looked tired, he had bruises on his face and a rip in his T-shirt. Dylan was against a wall taking punches in the stomach, blood dripping from his lips, before Rex stepped in and staked the assailants. Ace was fighting five opponents at once.

"Let her go!" Spike screamed.

She saw him staring at Antonia's knife pressing into her throat. Buffy swallowed slowly and masked her fear as best she could, she could sense the panic from Spike. It reverberated around her like a thick storm cloud. There was thunder somewhere inside of her, and cold rushed through her insides.

The witch planned to simply take her Gem and then get out. She didn't need revenge or death, she just wanted her treasure, the real win. She told Elizabeth to undo the bracelet and watched as the human moved to do so very slowly.

Buffy's eyes locked with Spike's. She tried to gauge his emotions beneath the turmoil and fear. Did she do as the witch said? Should she undo the chain? Give up the real Gem of Amara? Her gaze stayed steady on her mate as her fingers met with the cool metal around her wrist.

A vampire sprung up behind Spike and plunged a stake through his heart, the pointed tip intruding into his chest cavity like a hot skewer; Buffy's scream deafened the arena of fighters and the world knew the sound of only tragedy.

Her chest exploded in pain and she threw her head back into Antonia's face; the witch went down. Buffy ran, picking off those in her way and staking them, throwing them. Her face became wet as she whipped around bodies and obstacles, she shoved and she threw herself into them like a wrecking ball. Buffy's strength became inhuman, her grief could be tasted.

Spike fell to his knees when she finally reached him, and around her, the fight ended.

_________
The next chapter will be the last, please review and let me know what you thought. I so so appreciate all of the attention given to this fic and every review and read, thank you all! *hugs*
Chapter 40: Home (Epilogue) by Linnae13
Spike inhaled. A chance second, one moment, and it all ended. He stared down at his chest and barely felt the vampire behind him dust as Stevo threw his stake. Spike looked up at Buffy, the world silent as she knelt in front of him. He reached up to brush away a tear he saw slide down her cheek.

This couldn't be it, couldn't be the end. He wasn't ready yet. He'd barely gotten a start.

The room lost its volume. Remaining vampires in the space were trying to run but got violently pulled back by angry superbeings covered in ashes and blood.

Antonia was blindsided; Blake lunged at her from the side. He wailed on her and wrapped his hands around her throat, and her eyes glowed at him as her magick was directed in a shadow-like attack. He felt hands around his neck but ignored them, watching the witch's powers fade along with her life.

Antonia choked, Ace helped Dylan off the ground, and Rex limped closer to the couple kneeling next to each other. Stevo stood still and silent except for his shaky breaths; the room had become a graveyard.

Buffy's eyes blurred as she cupped his face in her hands. "Don't- Don't you dare," she ordered. "Don't leave me, you promised."

"Buffy, I-"

"Don't you dare dust here, Spike!" she demanded. Her voice was strong, her bruised face covered with salty tears. Stevo walked closer and stared at Blake finishing off Antonia in the distance. It was rare that the empath lost control, and rarer still for Stevo himself to cry.

The gypsy wiped his eyes before he could notice that... Spike was still there.

It never took longer than five seconds for... He wasn't dusting. "Wait... Buffy-"

"What is it?!" Dylan finally ran up, out of breath, hunched over. He took in the scene. "No... Spike?"

The seconds ticked by, but Spike still knelt there. He groaned and took a breath, glancing up at the ceiling before he said, "Not that I'm not grateful, but how come..."

"Maybe it didn't go through the heart?" Ace hesitated, little to no hope in his voice.

"No... It did. I felt it." Spike's tone was raspy. "Feel it."

Silence resonated.

Until... "The Gem."

All eyes turned to Dylan. "You're... Buffy, you're wearing the Gem." She nodded, not even glancing at her wrist. "Well, don't you see?" The demon smiled as relief and wonder poured over him, the pieces clicking together, but the others remained suspended in unsure distress. "You two are mated," the demon explained, a big grin plastered onto his spiky green face. "Whatever happens to one, affects the other. Buffy has the Gem on, it-its powers must have protected him!"

The shock was enough to break a dam. Buffy released a shrill exhalation of breath. "Y-You're sure? What if we pull it out?"

"As long as you're wearing the Gem..." Dylan took a hesitant step forward, then shook his head. "Stev, you do it. I can't."

The gypsy looked around at his comrades, then down at the vampire he considered family. Gulping, and after Blake's somewhat approving nod from across the quiet room, he knelt behind Spike. "Ready, friend?"

He nodded, staring into Buffy's green eyes that shimmered with both worry, and hope. "As I'll ever be."

The gypsy took another breath. With a quick yank, the stake came out coated in blood.

No ashes followed. Spike swore and said, "Could've gone a little easier on me, mate." He leaned into Buffy's welcoming arms.

"Not really," Stevo replied, grinning from ear to ear. "There's only so many ways to pull a stake out of someone."

The vampire remained intact and Buffy's heart beat fast with elation and relief. She held Spike's head against her chest, and pressed her palm to the bloody wound barely concealed by a jagged hole in his duster. "We'll have to figure out a way to fix your coat," she laughed.

Spike wrapped his arms around her before raising his head. He checked her neck over quickly for marks and when he found none, said, "We'll figure a way to patch it up," he brushed his hand along the discoloration on one of her cheeks, a hard scowl on his tired face. "After we take care of you and get the bloody hell out a here."

Buffy smiled. "That's the best idea I've ever heard."

***

~Two Days Later~

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Buffy stood before the bathroom mirror, applying concealer and foundation to the slight bruising still present from Flora's attack.

"Yes, I'm sure. The marks have already faded quite a bit," Stevo replied, his arms casually crossed over his big chest.

Buffy sighed. "You did help us a lot. Thank you again. I'm really starting to depend on your gypsy magicks." She sent him a smile.

"Don't mention it."

"Is Blake still working on Spike?" she asked.

"Yes. As much as he can, anyhow. Your mate does not enjoy being made over like a woman."

"Makeup's not just for girls," Buffy said, "it's for anyone who wears it." She used a little brush to blend the thick tan colored goop into her slightly purple cheek.

Flora may be dead but she'd left her mark. Antonia, also dead, her body buried and the ground soaked in a potion Stevo had concocted to keep the witch's spirit at rest, had been the cause of so many problems. Her vampire lackeys, though most of them were dust now, had managed to inflict damage onto everyone, including Spike.

And for a nice dinner with Grams back at the house, bruises were not something you wanted to show off.

Buffy picked up her compact and powdered her face until it was almost white, sighing once again. Spike had to be in much more pain than she was.

Not physically, but... emotionally? It was more his pride than anything that was taking a beating from having to apply face makeup. She didn't understand it, he'd worn eyeliner before, what was the difference? Even so, she was grateful he had agreed, despite his griping.

Buffy called Grams the second they'd arrived back home after the fight. Apologizing for not calling until then, and explaining that she wanted to spend the next few nights at Spike's place, preceded her grandmother's assurances that all was well, and Buffy should enjoy her time with her beau.

She felt guilty. Buffy asked Grams if she was sure she didn't want her home. It hadn't been long since the earthquake, after all, and Spike had no problem driving or walking her over right that minute (though he did, and Buffy wasn't exactly keen on the idea of being separated from him either, but she had to be sure Grams was okay).

Which she was, the old woman promised, and in order to make Buffy feel better- and alleviate some personal curiosity, most likely -Anne invited Spike to dinner.

That's why the mated pair were both currently applying thick concealer to their faces; Buffy wanted to tell Grams everything, the vampire stuff and the supernatural lowdown, but injuries presented wouldn't exactly set her at ease.

Perhaps tonight wasn't the best time anyway...

Everything was only now simmering down. Flora was gone, thanks to one of Stevo's spells they knew for sure. The Gem of Amara was no longer on Buffy's wrist, and had been put in a safe deposit box at a bank outside of MayBell.

Yeah, yeah, a bank? Really? Well, it had seemed so ridiculously human an idea, that Spike and the guys figured it might actually provide safe coverage for the bracelet. Buffy's dream charm was back in Spike's room, for she hadn't been able to part with it, even after Blake suggested they put it inside the safe deposit box with the Gem as a sort of a decoy.

Anyone who wanted that thing would simply take both, Buffy had said in defense. Besides, the charm was hers, Stevo had made it and Spike have given it to her; it was special, like her Papa's watch and her mom's locket. She wasn't giving it up.

Buffy fingered the heart around her neck, and smiled. She couldn't imagine parting with her nightmare bracelet, even if bad dreams weren't to come, not like she could with the Gem.

A part of her wanted Spike to have it; another, was afraid of it. The Gem of Amara may protect Spike from things like sunlight and staking, but it was also a magnet, a beacon for enemies to follow if they so desired. If someone broke into the bank and took it, Spike would find out. But even with its powerful shield effects, neither he nor Buffy felt safe with the Gem in the house.

It was for emergencies now, and Spike would simply have to be extra careful. They'd thought maybe they could break off just a little bit of the stone and keep that, but Stevo said it was impossible. The Gem of Amara couldn't be broken, and even if it could, the powers would disappear like water down a drain.

The gypsy leaned against the doorframe as he watched Buffy finish up with blush, before finally switching to mascara. "I thought you already did that," he said.

She shook her head. "I applied eye shadow, then liner. I haven't done this part yet."

"Oh." He tilted his head, raising an eyebrow. "I don't know how you can put something so pointy so close to your eyes. Is it very difficult?"

Buffy smiled. "Not for me, but I've been doing this since I was thirteen."

A sudden bang came from the floor below. Stevo moved out of the way as Buffy sighed and headed for the stairs. "I think Spike's about out of patience," he said.

"I know. I can feel it."

Reaching the first floor, Buffy wasn't prepared to see Dylan running backwards into the living room as he dodged a flying book. He was laughing, but Buffy heard growly protests coming from the end of the house where Blake was supposed to be working on Spike's face.

Buffy made a swift turn and headed to them. Inside the room with flowery vases she discovered two irate superbeings, one holding a makeup sponge in his hand tinged pasty beige. "What's going on?" she asked the empath.

"Your beau is protesting," Blake replied. "He won't change back to human visage. I can't apply with the wrinkles in the way."

Spike's fanged face was in a glower, directed at the brunette standing above him. He left his chair and approached Buffy; she studied his pale face with obvious surprise that went unnoticed by him.

"Love-"

"Spike, the bruises are gone," she said, astonished.

The vampire frowned at her.

"Well," she corrected, "concealed."

"You mean all of this torture wasn't for nothin?"

She grabbed his hand and nodded. "Blake did a great job. I know I can't prove it to you with a mirror, but trust me, you look completely and totally presentable." She smiled. "Grams won't see a thing."

Before the vampire could wipe the doubt from his face, Buffy stepped around him. "Where'd you learn to apply makeup like that, Blake?"

The empath grinned proudly. "Picked it up from... companions, over the years. I learned quite a bit about applying makeup when I stayed at brothels, especially."

"Aren't you due back at one of those?" Spike grumbled; his right cheek felt heavier than his left and it was irritating him. "Some rot 'bout feedin off the sexual appetites of others?"

Blake laughed. "Are you kidding?" He scoffed, "I've been getting plenty of that with Buffy and you always under the same roof."

She blushed, and managed to say, "Well, thank you for making him over."

A low growl emanated from behind her.

Buffy rolled her eyes but turned to soothe her vampire. "For covering the bruises," she amended.

Spike's fangs disappeared as he reclaimed her hand, nodding to his friend in barely offered thanks before tugging Buffy out of the room.

They walked into the living area; she could hear Dylan and Stevo talking in the kitchen, while Ace and Rex both sat on the couch watching television. Buffy almost didn't notice their lack of greeting. They'd been in the room when Dylan had run in, quickly followed by that flying book, and neither had said a word then. The girl let her eyes rest on the TV. "Are you guys watching Passions?"

The utter shock in her tone didn't even pierce their arrested concentrations. Buffy gave Spike a look of question, and was surprised to see his eyes suddenly fixed on the television, as well. She shook her head. "I don't believe it."

Buffy looked at the TV again and crossed her arms, frowning. Inside, confusion blended with surprise, to be released in derision. "Tweety, Fangy and Sicky, all fans of a soap. I should have known, really."

Her insults caught their attention. Ace glanced back at her and then slouched into the couch cushions, a petulant look crossing his face. "I bet you've never even seen it."

"No, I'm proud to say that I haven't," Buffy declared.

Spike gave her a slight glare. "Oh, nice, judgin a show by its... genre."

"I didn't know you knew that word," Stevo walked in with a sardonic little smile on his face. "Impressive, 'Fangy.'"

Spike glowered and Rex said, "Can everyone be fucking quiet?"

Buffy snorted and looked at Spike. "Sorry," she said with insincerity. "Maybe you guys should like, form a club or something."

"Pet, you're treadin on thin ice."

"No, I'm serious," she claimed, a bright smile of pure mockery coming forth. "You could have T-shirts, mugs, meetings- The whole shebang! Why, I bet you could even create a website to go with it. I'm sure Dylan would help."

"Don't bet on it!" they heard from the kitchen.

"Buffy..." Spike warned, "You might want to zip those pretty lips of yours 'fore I shut em permanently."

"I'm just trying to be supportive."

"Stop tryin."

"Okay," she said, "I'll start stopping trying right now... by pulling you away from the TV."

"Wait- What? But the episode's not-"

"We have dinner with Grams in less than ten minutes. We should leave now."

"But-"

She shook her head and smiled. "Spike, she likes you, but if she knows we were late because you chose a soap opera over her cooking, she might stake you."

Spike didn't even want to try and pretend he hadn't seen Buffy's little nose twitch. It was difficult to say no to anything when she did something so damned cute. "Alright, fine," he sighed. "But if I'm forced to say Grace for food that ain't even keepin me upright and walkin, I'm gonna pitch a fit."

"No you won't." She saw right through the phony threat.

"No, I won't. But I'm not bowin my head." He pointed at her like he meant business.

"She doesn't usually say Grace, Spike, unless it's a holiday. Relax. She's just going to want to hear about us. As a couple. You and me."

Spike opened his mouth, then shut it quickly, before opening it slowly once again. "And what exactly do you wanna tell her about... you and me, pet?"

Buffy's self assured expression fairly crumbled after the question. She sighed, and replied, "Well, I- I don't know. I guess we'll... just see how the night goes. I think it might be too soon to tell her everything yet."

"She's gonna find out at some point."

"I know." Buffy looked down and nodded. "I know," she repeated. "We'll just wait for the right time to tell her."

***

"I knew it!"

Buffy's green eyes widened like a cartoon character's at her Grams' exclamation. The vampire at the table had just spit out a mouthful of water, the old lady was smiling gleefully at his side, and Spike's lips were smoking. "Grams, what did you do?!"

"Oh, so sorry," She quickly grabbed an ice cube from her own glass of water and wrapped it in a linen. "I didn't want to hurt you, I hope you understand."

Buffy, still confused, took the ice Grams was trying to press against Spike's mouth and did so herself. The cold felt good on his burning flesh once he stopped coughing, but he still looked pissed even as he leaned into Buffy's shoulder and sought her nearness.

The claim was in a tizzy, and Spike was only now sizzling down- literally speaking.

She'd never been so angry at Grams before as when the woman said, "I served him holy water."

Buffy hadn't been anything but concerned for her as of late. Any and all severe anger was directed at those who'd threatened Grams, with the earthquake; her mate and friends, with the fights and revenge tactics; and her own life, with the kidnapping and river incident. All offenders were dead now. It was suddenly frightening to be so angry at one of her loved ones.

"You served him HOLY WATER?!" the girl shouted. "Why would you do that?!"

"I had to know." Grams backed up and sat down again, across from the supernatural couple. "Figured the boy was a vamp, but-"

"A what?" Spike asked, his voice scratchy.

"A vampire." The old woman rose one thin eyebrow at their astonished faces. "You thought I didn't know 'bout the animals? Ya kiddin, right?"

Silence was her answer. In such moments, the mind often went on a speedy Ferris Wheel ride, and sloppily began piecing things together. Sometimes, though, the pieces didn't fit, so explanations- no matter how bizarre -were required.

"Sugar," Grams said to Buffy, "I've known about vampires since I was nearly eight. So d'your daddy. He never told you about them... said he didn't wanna show you that part of the world. Lord knows I disagreed, but," she sighed and shook her head a little, "he was the one raisin ya, and I had to respect that."

Buffy watched doe-eyed and gripping Spike's steady hand beneath the table as her grandmother leaned back in her chair. "I've had notions about you," the woman pointed quickly at Spike, "since you moved into town. But there weren't any people disappearing or bodies drained of blood showin up, so I figured you were one of the rare decent ones."

"Decent ones?" Spike asked dubiously.

"YES, decent ones." The woman clasped her hands over the tablecloth. "I know y'all mostly just demons, no souls and all, but there've been a couple over the centuries that didn't quite fit the bill. So, as long as you weren't hurtin nobody, and just stuck to the library most nights, I figured I'd leave you alone." She smiled in a Cheshire cat sort of way. "Then, ya started datin my granddaughter, and leavin you alone, William, wasn't an option."

Buffy swallowed hard, looked at Spike for guidance, then turned back to Grams before he could so much as blink at her. "That's... THAT'S why you made him drink holy water?"

"I had to be sure, honey."

"But Grams-!"

"Buffy, wait," Spike cut off her protests. She looked at him with confusion the shade of hazel green. He turned back to the intelligent old woman who was, evidently, much more aware of things than she let on. "So, now you know. How do you feel about it?"

Grams licked her lips in thought, but the abrupt question did not seem to rattle her. "So long as you don't hurt her-" she said, "and I know you won't -I'm not protestin the match."

"How come you're so sure I won't hurt her?" Spike's stomach roiled at the very idea.

Anne smile slyly at him, saying many more words than her next statement actually included. "You're a vampire, chances are, you were evil 'least once in your lifetime. Now you've got a human to care for, she ain't gonna put up with killin of any innocents, and you're capable of lovin her enough not to do that. There ain't nothin stronger than that sort of love." Grams smirked and her eyebrows shot up; an expression full of cocky, perceptive intelligence. "You two might already be mated, yet."

Buffy's mouth fell open and before she could stop herself, words started clamoring out in a jumble. "W-What- How- I-I-... HOW?!"

Grams smiled. "So you are. Well good, that assures me even more that you won't try and eat her, William."

Buffy's forehead was filled with so many lines, it looked like a racetrack. "Grams, how the hell do you know about all of this stuff?"

"Sugar, don't curse at the table."

"Grams!"

"My sister was mated to a vampire, too. Mary, the one you've seen in the photographs? She was a slayer."

At the same time, the vampire and human exclaimed: "Slayer?!"

Grams nodded matter-of-factly. "That she was. Tough woman. Ya see, she wasn't actually my sister. She was my great, great aunt, but I called her my sister. We were very close." Anne took a moment to pause, and she smiled almost sadly, light following the nostalgic expression in her eyes. "She died before you were born, her mate and her both. They didn't meet until she was into her later years. Slayers have abnormally long life spans, and she lived long enough to meet a vamp that wasn't quite like the rest."

Grams laughed and looked at Spike as she said, "Ya know, they met when she was tryin to kill him? He flirted with her the entire time she was working on driving a stake through his chest."

Buffy's mind wandered as Anne talked. She recalled the dress she'd tried on in the attic, Mary's wedding gown. "That chiffon dress upstairs, the one in the wardrobe... it was-"

"She wore it when she wedded him," Grams said fondly. "I loved that vampire, he surely wasn't normal. He cared more about people than he liked to admit."

Spike heard an echo, Stevo's voice ringing in his ears like some sort of shout in a cavern. He squeezed Buffy's hand.

She squeezed back, and Grams continued.

"Mary and him died together, in battle. They actually won, but... Well, some battles are won when the war's lost." Anne's eyes crinkled at the edges. "I miss em quite a bit. Every day. And frankly, when I found out 'bout you two-" her bent finger wiggled at the blonde duo, "-I was excited. So long as you were a good one, William, I was happy with the match."

Shock MIGHT be a good word. Buffy wasn't sure if it could fully describe her astonishment at the moment. She took a huge drink of ice water and exhaled, then took another gulp and didn't come up for air until she'd emptied the glass.

Spike looked at her. "You okay, pet?"

"Peachy," she snapped.

"You aren't gettin mad, are you?" he asked with a frown.

She shook her head. She wasn't mad. She was caught off guard, she was a little wigged, mostly she was relieved, but... Grams knew about vampires?! And she'd never mentioned it?

Buffy knew what a slayer was, Spike had told her. To know there'd been one in the family, a woman whose dress Buffy had fallen in love with at first glance, was almost hard to take in. The fact Grams had been so involved with the supernatural world but had never told her about it, stunned the girl. "How come you never told me any of this?" she asked aloud.

Anne noted the hurt in that question. She sighed. "Dear, people in this town, as unaware as some of them can be, know to never go out alone after dark. And you are an adult, and you're smart." She said it with confidence, with such trust and knowledge; Buffy wasn't sure she had so much faith in herself. "I knew you would be alright. If you survived in San Francisco with your mom and grandpa, neither of whom knew 'bout vampires, I knew you'd do just fine here."

"I would have told you all about them if your daddy hadn't been so against the idea. He never once got attacked, thank the Lord, and so didn't like to entertain the thought of vampires bein a real threat." She licked her lips again and frowned. "Maybe I should have told you. I'd thought about doin so a dozen times after you moved down here with me, but there was never quite a good enough reason."

"What about protecting me?" Buffy said, her tone near accusation even with as quiet as it was.

"Would you have believed me?"

That, threw her for a loop.

Would she had believed her? If Grams had shown her books, pictures, shared stories... Would anything short of seeing a vampire standing less than five feet from her person have been enough to convince her of their existence?

She remembered her reaction to the nightmare bracelet.

No. It wouldn't have.

***

~The Christmas Party~

Spike wasn't in sight. Buffy kept looking everywhere. Grams was by the big Christmas tree covered in tinsel and ornaments. Lights above twinkled white, making the room look alive in a heavenly way.

The guys- all of them -were occupied near the buffet and refreshment tables. Dylan and Stevo were getting punch, Ace and Blake had found two pretty ladies to chat and flirt with, Rex was eyeing a redhead from across the room.

Spike wasn't here yet. Buffy had no clue what was taking him so long, and if it weren't for the claim reassuring her, she would have been worried over his late ass. Instead, she was simply growing impatient.

Everybody in the room, including her superbeing family, was out to impress. Suits and dresses danced throughout the ballroom, throughout the entire house to the music created by a string band. This mansion was beautiful and much too big for just one small family to inhabit, the floors in several rooms were the prettiest polished wood Buffy had ever dared walk on. She felt like she was at one of Gatsby's own parties.

She was surrounded by glitz, yet also, homey gentility. Everyone talked and exchanged greetings of warmth. Meg had come up to her, and then Harriet, as well as Leonard and other people like Chelsea and Doctor Cruse. Each one had kind words to deliver, and an interest in Buffy that couldn't have been faked.

Surprisingly, she didn't shy away from the conversations; she enjoyed them.

However, she also enjoyed the company of her loving mate, and Spike was unaccounted for. The man couldn't still be getting ready, a suit wasn't something that was hard to get into. Stevo and Blake both knew how to tie ties, and it'd been a collective assistance task force helping Rex finish with his. The thunderbird hated wearing anything around his neck, apparently, but when Buffy said he looked handsome, he'd reduced his complaints to a grumble.

After she told him she thought Chelsea would be impressed, he'd shut up completely.

That alone was reason enough for Buffy to hint to the pretty redhead that she might have a secret admirer, and then not so subtly point out Rex's tall form in the distance.

Buffy was still waiting for the woman to make her move.

Spike was one man who didn't object to wearing a suit. He'd been about to get changed when Buffy was leaving to go and get dressed herself and pick up Grams for the walk to the party.

Stevo, Rex and Blake tagged along for that trip. Grams had never met any of them, but she liked Blake immediately, Stevo gained her respect with his gentlemanly ways, and Rex she thought, looked like a dependable man who might just be a little rough around the edges.

Their true identities didn't come up, but Buffy thought... by some sort of sparkle she saw in her grandmother's eyes, that Anne might be aware these men weren't mere humans.

Buffy didn't know when she'd suddenly become so keen to her Grams' thought processes. Ever since the blatant acceptance of Spike's vampire identity, Buffy had noticed a different side to her grandmother that bordered on the witchy. Not bad witchy, just extremely intuitive. Buffy wouldn't be surprised if the woman asked Stevo to teach her some spells if/when she ever found out who he was.

And that was a pickpocket. A dirty pickpocket.

"Stev!" Buffy turned around with a reprimanding tone and expression, but a smile crept onto her face and gave her away. "Give it back."

Stevo grinned at the demand. "What did I take?" he asked in his mixed accents voice.

"My wallet." Buffy held out her hand.

In a split second, he'd placed the small item in her open palm. "It took you five minutes to notice."

"Don't mock me, I'm new at this," she pouted, putting her wallet back inside the small purse that hung from her shoulder.

"And you haven't attempted to steal from me in over a week. I must admit, I'm a little disappointed."

"I've decided you're too hard for a beginner."

Stevo rose one eyebrow, but something like pride twinkled in his bronze colored eyes. He'd been teaching her how to pickpocket, just like he'd promised, and though Buffy didn't plan on actually stealing from people, you never knew when such a skill could come in handy. The guys had no plans to leave anytime soon either, so she had plenty of opportunities to practice.

"Who is to be your guinea pig, then?" Stevo asked.

Buffy smiled mischievously. "I took Blake's wallet earlier today."

Stevo grinned big and bright. "That's why he couldn't find it for thirty minutes. I'm surprised your guilt didn't give you away to him."

"I left the room immediately," she admitted, laughing.

Stevo nodded proudly. "It is definitely an accomplishment." He leaned in close and tuned his voice down to a whisper. "Even if you hadn't been able to do it, know this Buffy: You have, without a doubt, already successfully stolen something no class-A pickpocket ever could have." The gypsy winked at her, then said very sincerely, "Spike's heart is yours as surely as the moon is full tonight and your blood is shared."

Buffy pulled away and smiled at him in warm surprise. "Stev... That's... That's very sweet."

"Honey, being sweet is not something I partake in," he claimed. "I'm stating a truth. Now," he nodded at something behind her and smiled again, "Let your mate finally see how lovely you look in your dress."

She turned around like she'd been pushed. She watched Spike's expression change from happiness, to shock, to wonder. It was like watching it frame by frame, but all she saw behind his reaction, all that caught her focus, was him.

Her mate stood tall and with a little red velvet box in his hands tied up in ribbon, dressed in a suit of black. She'd never seen him look more human, and a strong heartbeat beneath her chest felt like a reminder of how much she loved him; and she felt his love for her.

Buffy wore the dress. He knew she would, for he'd only agreed to attend this party if she did, but Spike couldn't have prepared himself for how she looked now. Surrounded by people and light and her hair pinned up high, with soft tendrils of blonde framing her cheeks, stunning wasn't even the word. Gorgeous, beautiful, effulgent- Hell, the woman looked inhuman, like a goddess or an angel bride. She looked amazing. And Spike sensed her heartbeat in his bones the moment he was ensnared.

Like before, the dress still fit as if made for her. The fabric draped and fell across her skin in creamy white, and Spike's hands fairly shook with the desire to touch.

He approached her quickly when brain function returned, a nearly nervous smile crossing his lips as he got close enough to wrap her in his arms. She leaned up, and they met for a kiss which was too short for both their tastes.

"You look... Gorgeous, Goldilocks. Bleedin gorgeous," he told her.

She grinned warmly at him. "Thank you. You're..." she glanced down and then up into his eyes again, her own shining. "You look great, too."

He smirked. "Just 'great?' Your heart rate says otherwise, love." He leaned closer and nibbled her ear, murmuring, "Among other things..."

She smiled brighter and giggled. "You look very, very handsome!"

"Alright, I'll take it," he claimed, pulling back. He presented the red velvet box to her. It was tied with a sparkly amber ribbon. "I was wrapping it up. That's why I'm late."

"Oh... Spike." Buffy began untying the bow. "My present for you's at home, I didn't think to bring it."

"That's alright. Just open up your gift for me, petal."

Buffy did just that. Upon lifting the little lid, she found a beautiful ring inside. A silver band, holding an emerald. Intricate designs like swirls surrounded the jewel and held it in place, and very tiny diamonds were imbedded in the silver, like sparkles playing peek-a-boo.

"I- I-... I-...."

"Fish-mouthed, eh love?"

Buffy nodded hard, looking up at his smiling face in disbelief. "I just got you Sex Pistols records."

Spike laughed loudly and said, "Kitten, that's a perfect gift. I wouldn't expect you to get me somethin like this..." He took the ring from its velvet lined perch and slowly placed it on her third finger on her left hand. "S'a bit too flashy for my taste," he joked.

Buffy stared at the green gem. "Where did you get it?"

"It was my sister's."

Buffy's head snapped up. "Dawn's?"

Spike nodded over a sweet, sad smile. "It was her wedding ring. I kept it after she passed... I wanted you to have it."

She was left speechless. That he would give her... It was so important and valuable to him. He trusted her to wear it, to keep it safe and... It was hers now?

Buffy forgot to breathe.

"I hope you like it. The green reminded me of your eyes," Spike said, "like how they get when it's real shadowy out, and I just hoped..."

Buffy lunged at him. "I love it, Spike! Thank you so much."

He laughed and gladly accepted her fierce embrace, inhaling deeply, then exhaling with relief inside her loving arms. "You're welcome, Buffy."

"Is it alright if I... Well," she shuffled nervously once he let her down, and she kept glancing between the ring and him. "People will think it's... It looks like what it is, a wedding ring," she said with uncertainty.

"I believe a claim's as good as married, pet."

They smiled together, and Buffy gave Spike another kiss. This one lasted longer.

Finally, when they parted, the vampire asked his mate: "Wanna dance?"

"I know you say you can, and I believe you, but proof is always nice."

He bit his lip and smirked at that grin of hers, it made him want to kiss her breathless again. "Then by all means," he offered her his hand, and lead the way to the middle of the crowded dance floor.

There was laughter around them. Moving feet and the hems of dresses swished by their ankles, but Spike kept her afloat. He twirled her and brought her in close, and the music flowed like a background melody to their thoughts. They shared conversations in silence sometimes, and Spike liked making her blush in public settings, for it drove Buffy nuts.

In the distance, she could see Rex dancing with a woman whose red curls looked like a flame moving throughout the crowded room. Buffy smiled, and Spike asked what she'd seen. When she pointed out a laughing thunderbird across the room, the vampire beamed.

In the Christmas lights' glow, an emerald sparkled as it went for a dance, gleaming with apparent pride or joy to finally be worn once again; and by a woman its last owner would have highly approved of.

***

~Four weeks later~

"Buffy!"

The girl came running down the stairs at Spike and Dylan's shouting. She could feel fear and apprehension coming from her mate, and immediately she was near. She didn't even give a glance to the sound and feeling of a hole tearing in the wrist of her sweater as it brushed the edge of the railing.

"What is it?!" she exclaimed once she reached the kitchen.

"Somethin's wrong with the cat," Dylan answered. "She'd acting weird and... Get back!"

Buffy frowned hard. She'd never once seen Dylan push Princess away. She finally spotted the animal, and she blinked.

Spike looked between the feline and Buffy, confusion and worry etched onto his face. "We've gotta get her to the vet. She's never acted like this before."

Buffy sighed and crossed her arms. "I'll bet."

"What's wrong with her?" Dylan asked, maneuvering behind Buffy as Princess came yowling closer.

"She can't have rabies, I never let her out," Spike said.

Buffy rolled her eyes very dramatically. "She's in heat."

The silence that followed that statement was astounding to her. Buffy walked over to Princess, who was currently rubbing against a chair leg and arching her back, still meowing and sounding like she might be dying, and picked the cat up very slowly. Buffy wrapped one hand around her front paws to keep them still.

Spike scowled hard and stared cautiously at his pet. "She can't be... she's only a kitten."

"She's growing up, Spike. Better face it and call a vet." Buffy looked at Princess with pity, "Just be glad the others are out grocery shopping right now, they would have only made this worse."

She walked out, cat in hand, and left an air of judgment in the room for the males. Apparently, even supernaturally endowed men, lacked sense and common knowledge when it came to feminine maturity.

She stroked Princess' head consolingly as the cat played with the thready edge of her torn sweater. Buffy called out, "Better not let any tomcats in the house Spike, or you'll become a grandpa!"

***

~Two days later~

"Spike, here's your blood."

The vampire looked up as Buffy came in the bedroom, holding a steaming mug of O-neg. He smiled as she handed him the cup. "Thanks, love." He took a gulp then watched as she sat beside him on the arm of his chair. "Still surprised you're willin to get me food," he said with a laugh.

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Spike, I'm a girl."

He looked her over, in her white tank top and blue jeans, and smiled, trying not to bite his lip. *You obviously have no bloody idea how aware I am of that.* "I realize that, love."

"Look at Princess, okay," she said with a shrug, "who we still have locked in Stevo's bedroom. He's not happy about that, by the way- But, my point is, girls have to deal with blood every month," she gestured vaguely, making an expression of distaste as she continued, "coming out of our own bodies. It wasn't that hard for me to get used to the idea of you drinking the stuff." Her brow puckered cutely, and then she shrugged her shoulders again. "Well, once I got used to it, that is."

The sudden, concentrated look she noticed on Spike's face almost worried her. "What?"

"That's right, you are human, aren't you," he stated, somewhat to himself.

She nodded, her brow rising. "Duh... Just with a couple of extra vampy perks."

His lips went from firm, to a leisured smirk. A new awareness and something else wicked twinkled in his eyes.

It took Buffy a minute to understand, for the scowl of confusion to evaporate from her features, but suddenly, it hit her. Her eyes rounded, doubling in size, and her cheeks turned pink. "No!"

He glanced up and down her body, which only made her blush harder, and he licked his lips, obviously distracted. She took a step back and Spike said, "Don't knock it til you try-"

"I don't need to try it!"

"Might be fun."

"Spike," she shook off a cringe, and ignored the purely unreal and depraved voice in the back of her mind that suggested she hear him out. "We are NOT going to-..." Buffy trailed off awkwardly, avoiding looking at his handsome, smirking, and pleasantly intrigued face, "do THAT!"

He caught her gaze, finally. "Why not? Might help with cramps."

Her eyes bulged yet again, and Buffy threw up her hands in a display of several kinds of frustration before heading to the bathroom, and shutting the door on his insanity.

And his insanely provocative, indecent... IMPOSSIBLE suggestions.

She leaned against the cool wood of the door, sighing up at the ceiling, wondering how the hell she'd gotten involved with a vampire. And why she couldn't clear her mind of his last lewd proposal.

Meanwhile, Spike was still in his chair, smiling serenely as he sipped non-Buffy blood, and let plans drift through his head.

Almost as soon as she'd stormed into the bathroom, she stormed back out. "Spike?"

"Yes?" He noted the worried look on her face, felt it through their connection. "What's wrong, kitten?"

She got this look of panic in her eyes as she explained. "What if... What if I have periods for the rest of eternity? I'm immortal now."

He knew it wasn't a good idea, but Spike still said it. "I'm not complainin." He took another sip from his mug.

Two seconds later, a pillow hit him square in the face, making him spill his dinner on his chest. With a small growl, he glared at Buffy's furious form standing beside the bed.

He shot up out of his chair the same second she bolted for the door. And just like so long ago, back on a night filled with sugary memories, a kiss that started everything, and a beautiful dress tried on in an attic, the vampire caught his girl, and forever he kept her world spinning.

THE END

_________________________
This has been quite a ride, and I've loved every minute of it. I loved writing this story, I loved creating the original characters, and I loved writing Spike and Buffy's romance, as usual. Thank you all so so so so much for the reviews, reading, putting up with late updates- Really, I can't say thank you enough. Everyone who paid attention to this fic helped me write it, inspired me. I thank all of you, and I really hope this fic was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. There may be oneshot sequels (in the far off future), but I haven't any plans for them right now. I do hope, however, that other spuffy fanfics I decide to post on here will grab your interest as well as Be Fearless, My Dear did, because I know I won't be able to resist writing more spuffy fics. (: Thanks again, everyone! I hope you enjoyed this closing chapter of BFMD! *many hugs*
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=37223