Like New by Hostile17
Summary: Would things have gone differently if Spike made sure Buffy drank her cure in 'Normal Again'? Maybe so, but when Spike's past collides with his future, will he be able to save Buffy from the consequences?
Categories: NC-17 Fics, General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Action, Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 44410 Read: 11968 Published: 11/11/2020 Updated: 12/21/2020
Story Notes:
This is set Season 6 as an episode rewrite of Normal Again.

1. Chapter 1 by Hostile17

2. Chapter 2 by Hostile17

3. Chapter 3 by Hostile17

4. Chapter 4 by Hostile17

5. Chapter 5 by Hostile17

6. Chapter 6 by Hostile17

7. Chapter 7 by Hostile17

8. Chapter 8 by Hostile17

9. Chapter 9 by Hostile17

10. Chapter 10 by Hostile17

11. Chapter 11 by Hostile17

12. Chapter 12 by Hostile17

13. Chapter 13 by Hostile17

14. Chapter 14 by Hostile17

15. Chapter 15 by Hostile17

16. Chapter 16 by Hostile17

17. Chapter 17 by Hostile17

18. Chapter 18 by Hostile17

19. Chapter 19 by Hostile17

20. Chapter 20 by Hostile17

21. Chapter 21 by Hostile17

Chapter 1 by Hostile17
Author's Notes:
This is a story I had written some time ago, and I simply would like to get it out there a bit more. My thanks goes out to Kasumi and ginar369 for all their help with edits! I really appreciate it and I wouldn't have been able to post this story without them! Hope you all enjoy!!

Disclaimer: All recognizable Buffy characters, settings, dialogue, etc. are the property of their respective owners/writers. Any original characters and plot are the property of me. I am in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter 1


“You either tell your friends about us…or I will,” the vampire noted sternly before turning his back on the sickly Slayer, who stared in anguish at the doorway from where he'd vanished. Spike moved towards the top of the stairs slowly, as the regret began to kick in. Of course, what he had said merited some truth. You're addicted to the misery. It's why you won't tell your pals about us. Might actually have to be happy if you did. No, scratch that, a lot of truth. Playing the conversation in his head only incurred more frustration, but he couldn’t help himself. What was it she had said?

You need to leave me alone. You’re not part of my life.

She was the most irritating chit he’d ever known, it was part of the reason he loved her so much, and just as much the reason he hated her. God, he wished he could carry out the threat he made of telling her friends about them. If he wasn’t on Buffy’s bloody leash, he would blurt it out to all of them just to spite her. He was, in fact, evil. It might do some good, couldn’t worsen things for him any. The Slayer’s pals already hated his undead guts, not much more they could hate. Yeah, might get a beating or two from the unpleasant Slayer herself, but that was nothing new. Spike, more or less, expected a thumbs-up from the witches and kid sis. Though, the whelp would always resent him no matter what he did, and it’s not like Spike gave two pisses about what he thought anyway.

As the war inside his head raged on, another thought fought its way to the surface just as he started down the stairs. Something Red had told him before striding out of Buffy’s room. Make sure she drinks all that. The antidote, brewed specially, for curing the Slayer’s funny-farm delusions.

Forcing back a groan, he turned back and walked to the open door at the end of the hall, not wanting to relive what happened a matter of seconds ago. Shaking his head hard enough to, hopefully, knock his thoughts right out. Right then. Just make sure the Slayer downed her drink like a good li’l girl, an’ then you can go. Just as his head poked around the door frame, he caught the last glimpse of the mug’s contents being poured to the bottom of the trash basket. The last drop of the clear liquid fell from the rim while Buffy stared straight ahead as another hallucination captured her mind.

****

No matter the actual temperature, there was always a cold chill in hospitals. Along with the creepy sterile feeling, goose bumps and shivers seemed to come naturally in medical facilities. Though this wasn’t a hospital, Buffy couldn’t seem to get warm, what with wearing just a flimsy patient gown. No, she knew good and well where she was, and why wouldn’t she? She had been in this mental institution for six years now, but it was finally time to leave.

Puffy red eyes looked up at Joyce and Hank, tear streaks burned into her cheeks, “I don’t wanna go back there. I wanna be healthy again.” Her mother’s hopeful smile pained her but gave her strength to fight her illness. Maybe once she returned to normal, everything would be okay again. She could have the one big happy family who went to the movies, played board games, and ate home cooked dinners. The pain and suffering that came with being the Slayer wouldn’t affect her life anymore. With this new found vigor she turned to the doctor, “What do I have to do?”

****

By the way she was transfixed on the bedroom wall; Spike wagered she was visiting her twisted delusion land once again. Frowning a bit, he turned his head slightly, looking over his right shoulder, “Uh, Willow?” There was no answer so he tried again, louder, “Willow!”

The master bedroom door slowly opened as Willow came walking out with an awkward smile with raised eyebrows. “Did it work? The anti-crazy potion? Is she her Buffy self?”

“Nuttier than ever, I‘d say.”

“Huh?”

“Take a looksy luv.” Taking a step back he pointed into Buffy’s room, “Caught her dumpin’ out her cure jus’ before another episode.”

“Makes sense. Why would Buffy wanna stay here when she could be someplace where I don’t even exist?” Dawn added with folded arms from her spot in Willow’s room. It’s not as if she was expecting an answer, putting it in the air as a way for her to get out her annoyance and teenage angst. Still, when her question went ignored by the two in the hall, she couldn’t help but huff and stomp off to her room, slamming the door behind her.

After the Drama Queen‘s show, Willow let out a sigh. She loved Dawn, even thought of her as a little sister, but the girl was always over the top when it came to her emotions. While trying to tell her everything was going to be okay with her older sister, Dawn had the patented, pissed off and pouting look. The kind small children gave their parents after being told they weren’t allowed to have candy in the check-out line at the grocery store.

“The Bit’s jus’ worried is all. Already lost Big Sis once,” he explained, then added a bit softer, and drenched with worry, “Don’ want it happenin’ again.”

Looking up at desperate eyes, gently smiling at the platinum blond, she couldn’t help her heart from swelling at the way this supposed to be evil thing, loved her best friend with as much fervor than any one person could have. Tara and she had finally come to the realization that Spike, vampire or not, truly was in love with Buffy. After Buffy jumped, sacrificing herself to save the world, Spike spent every day in mourning, and every night beside her gravestone in Restfield Cemetery. She had caught him a few times when on patrol with the Scooby gang, sitting in the neatly cut grass, lit only by the moonlight, talking to her. Trying to be respectful of his privacy, she didn’t linger, but overheard what sounded like a poem being read off a crumpled piece of paper. Since then, there was no doubt that demons had the ability to love with their body and lack of soul.

They would get Buffy back to tip top, quip making, shape, but first they had to apparently force the antidote down her throat. Making an already kooky Slayer angry didn’t seem to brighten the witch's hopes any. A worried face peered into the room, “I’ll have to make more… Spike? Can you?” Cutting herself off, she turned promptly and set out to extract more of the demons poison. The vampire in question nodded quickly at her indication, immediately heading down the stairs to assist the witch in holding the Glarghk Guhl Kashmas'nik demon in place.

The creature was growling and thrashing right where they left it, chained to the post in the basement. Each powerful attempt to break free from imprisonment caused bits of dirt and dust to fall from the ceiling joists. Not in a mood to play games, Spike walked straight up to the monster, leaning back on his left leg and swiftly kicking him in the chest. The force caused the demons waxy head to bang against the wooden pillar, but otherwise seemed not to faze him. A live punching bag was always something Spike enjoyed thoroughly.

“Ok, hold him still, or you know, mildly squirming,” Willow directed as she slid on the rubber gloves from before and came forward with her tool.

“Right,” he responded with a sharp nod. Grabbing the demon by the shoulders and shoving hard before pushing him up against the column to hold in place. “Hurry up Red. Stick your fork in em’, and let’s be done with it. Can’t bloody hold on forever you know!”

As if his words caused her actions, the girl raised her hand, slamming the two pronged fork into the demon's arm, triggering the poison spine to shoot out on command. “Okay, got it! Now, I just have to rip it off, like a really hard band aid.”

The demon managed to shove Willow away in the next instant, sending her to the ground. Spike‘s head turned to the floor where Willow was getting back to her feet, but was bucked away himself. Stumbling backwards a bit, snarling he morphed into his own demon side. The chained demon raised his arm as Spike tried to charge him, skewering his stomach. Barely recognizing the git had stabbed him, Spike reached down and pulled the stick free from his flesh, ripping it out of the monsters arm with a roar. Lunging with outstretched hands, the vampire got a strong grip on its head and yanked sideways. Multiple cracks filled the air before the strain on the chain lessened and the bulking body went limp, sagging against the post with lifelessness.

The witch reached a hand out to the blonds’ shoulder, “Are you okay?”

His clenched jaw twitched as he turned to face her, examining the injury on his stomach, “Yeah, jus’ a flesh wound. I’ll be fine,” looking down at the demon part in her hand, “That what you needed?” Eyes drifting back to the body beside him, “Cause’ I don’ think our friend here can be of much use anymore.”

Slightly risen brows and a crooked smile rose to the girl's face as she followed Spike’s gaze, “Probably not, since you decided to kill him.”

“That’s somethin' I think I can live with," he mumbled before turning back to Willow and shaking out his demon visage, "How long?"

"Not very. I still have everything in the kitchen from earlier. Should be done in a jiff!" Responding with a bright perky smile.

Nodding to the stairway, "Well, let’s get crackin' luv. The sooner we get this bloody mess over with, the better." And the sooner I can go beat something to a withering pulp, he added silently.

Willow went trotting up the wooden stairs, suddenly stopping in mid step before reaching the top, “Oh! But, except-”

“Except what?” His temper rising once more. Patience was not Spikes best virtue.

“It poked you too... well, more like made a kabob outta you-”

She was babbling. Trying to control his tone of voice, “Point. Red.”

“You’re probably infected too. I’ll make brew for two!” Giggling at her fun little rhyme, and stepping into the kitchen to begin.

The moment Willow vanished from sight, Spike let out a deep breath putting his hand to his abdomen, pressing some, as the slight pressure relieved the pain. Doesn’t matter what he had said, doesn’t matter who you are, having a hole through your gut, hurt like a bitch. He wasn’t lying when he said it’d be fine, it would, but it takes time, even for a person with super strength. The bleeding had stopped already, but it’d be tender for at least a day. So far, he didn’t feel any different and wasn’t having any moments of hallucinating space-outs, but Willow seemed to think he still needed some of that magic tea for insurance purposes. Collecting himself, he straightened and took the stairs two at a time, so that he could face the real problem at hand, Buffy.
Chapter 2 by Hostile17
Chapter 2


Downstairs in the kitchen, Willow was working away to prepare the antidote, again, only this time for the pair of blonds above them. She wasn’t sure if Spike needed it or not, but living by Willow’s main rule, ‘better to be safe, than end up crazy,’ she figured he should drink some just in case. So far the vampire seemed to be immune to the side effects of the demons poison, except for being cranky, he was acting normal.

“So this time, we make sure Buffy drinks it, and she’ll be okay?” Willow just nodded at the teenage girl sitting on a stool at the other side of the island. Dawn played with the different ingredients laid before her as she continued to voice her concerns, “It’s just... How can she make a world where we’re not even there?”

Willow looked up, Dawn stared at the bag in her hand, “You know she loves you Dawnie, this demon just made her all confused. I don’t think anybody is real in her head. Which is why this time, we’re gonna make sure she drinks it all down. Even if we have to fight her on it! I’m prepared to have Spike hold her ass down if need be!” Willow nodded with determination written all over her face.

“Where is Spike anyway?” The young girl queried.

Green eyes drifting upwards as she answered, “Upstairs... watching over Buffy.”

****

With Red being downstairs and a slayer gone crazy, he figured it best to take guard duty while this whole turmoil got sorted. When he first got back upstairs, after the debacle in the basement, Buffy had been asleep. Leaning against the door jamb of her bedroom, arms folded across his chest, he watched her. The rise and fall of her chest, mixed with the cadence of her heartbeat made a soothing rhythm. Within the first few minutes he moved into the room, sitting on her vanity chair. She was so pleasant when asleep, he thought. She was curled on her side, facing him and he couldn’t resist moving the chair closer, next to the bed. Nor could he resist reaching out and brushing the few stray strands of hair from her cheek and tucking it behind her ear. Letting his knuckles brush lightly against the flesh, the corners of his mouth lifting to a smile, “So warm...” murmuring under his breath.

Stilling instantly when she stirred a bit, nuzzling against the cold hand on her cheek and making a tiny noise of contentment. He continued then, gently stroking the rosy skin, not even noticing the presence in the doorway.

“Spike!” A whispered shout quickly made his hand retract back to himself and stood up, nearly knocking over the chair.

Glaring, he whispered back, “Warn a fella’ next time, would you Red?” Moving to the other side of the room to meet the girl with the mugs, “This it then?”

Willow handed him a cup with a soft smile, “Yep, should do the trick, as long as she drinks it all down this time.” Passing the blond and turning on the table lamp, “Buffy?” Reaching out to her shoulder and shaking lightly, “Buff, wake up.”

Buffy's eyes fluttered open, instantly landing on the drink in her best friend’s hand. Her face hardened as she regarded the others in the room, understanding their intention. I can’t stay here, I need to get better. I can’t let them try and keep me here. I need to get better. A blended mantra of pleas from her mother and father played in her head, swaying her to a decision. Slowly sitting up as she cautiously watched Spike step nearer to the bed, "You're not real," callous words fought their way through gritted teeth.

Narrowing his eyes and muttering, “Well, this nights provin’ to be a grand ol’ time,” he finished with an exasperated sigh, “Look, pet, you’re sick. That demon's poison is makin’ your mind all wonky. Can’t know what’s real, or what’s a delusion, luv.” Side stepping, Spike set down his own concoction on the bed table, “Your best mate here,” as if on cue, Willow grinned and wiggled a few fingers, “made you somethin’ that’ll make you all better. Fix all the confusion.”

As if a battle was inside her psyche, the Slayer shook her head, “No...I made you up... none of this... it’s fake. Sunnydale doesn’t exist.” The repetition appeared to solely convince her own self.

"In that case," Spike lunged towards Buffy, pinning her down by her shoulders onto the mattress. Avoiding her thrashing kicks as he tried to hold her still, he looked back at a wide eyed Willow, "Come on Red!" Vampires had an incredible strength, and they became stronger as they aged, but even a Master Vampire, such as himself, still was lower on the strength scale than a Slayer.

"No! I need-!," Buffy managed to bellow out as a recoil to the threat Spike was posing at making herself healthy again, but a strong hand, with chipped black nail polish, ceased the screeching immediately.

It dawned on Willow, after rapid realization to Spike's actions, what was expected of her. With Buffy restrained, she poured her potion into Buffy's mouth, giving no choice but to gulp it down. The majority was swallowed, though some spilled from the edge of her lips, trickling out. Knowing most of the dose was already in her system didn't stop the blond from trying to wrestle free. Breaking from his clasp, her fist fiercely connected with her enemy’s nose, causing Spike to reel back.

Buffy leapt from the bed, ready for another attack, shifting her weight onto her left foot, as her right leg came up in a clean sweep, but he was able to lean back as her shoe barely missed his face. Again her leg shot out, aimed for his midsection, grabbing her foot, he twisted, knocking her off balance. One good thing about patrolling with the Slayer was that he knew her fighting style better than any beastie out there.

"Sorry ducks-," with the apology already tumbling from his lips, Spike used the back of his fist to successfully knock her out. Before she collapsed on the floor, Spike's arms shot out, grabbing and hugging her close to him. Willow smiled ineptly when he laid her best friend onto the bed with such tender care.

It was a nice thing, to have a woman to be concerned about. Drusilla was his all for over a century, needing to be pampered and taken care of, though he was a willing victim. William never had the opportunity to treat a lady like he dreamed, beside his mother; he rarely was able to speak with a member of the opposite sex. William was the quiet, ever present force behind the demon. Always there, keeping Spike in check, and he thoroughly enjoyed being needed by the girl he loved. He felt important and valuable, as if he was the key, essential to making her happy.

Using his index finger to gently outline her face and push the loose hairs off her forehead, he looked at her, his Slayer. Knuckles gliding over blushed cheeks, Spike's mouth turned up into a soft smile as adoration washed over him. She was the only thing he could see or care about, nothing else mattered. His lips pressed to her forehead before straightening and remembering the witch was still there and staring at him. She never ceased to ruin the moment.

"Oh. Right...," running his hand through platinum curls, feeling self conscious, yearning for the moment to pass. “Buffy will be Buffy again...?” Questioning with a cocked scarred eyebrow.

“It should take effect, pretty much instantly. So when she gains consciousness, she’ll be good as the new old Slayer,” she explained, all too perky. “After you drink that,” pointing to the untouched cup on the table, “I can heat up some blood...if you want, cause I’m pretty sure there’s a few bags still in the fridge that you left, and since nobody around here is on a liquid diet-”

She was babbling, again. There were some things in this world that a man could tolerate - a bit of shopping, having to uselessly agree in order to get her to stop nagging, even being interrupted during a favorite soap - but babbling was not one of them. Unless, of course, the squealing was coming from a delectable blond. As it was, this was not his delectable blond, nor was he in the mood to stand there and hear her out.

“Fine. If’ll get you to shut your gob of that yammerin‘, I’ll down your bloody concoction. But I’m stayin’ till Summers’ wakes, got it?”

“Got it.” General rule of thumb, never argue or confront a cranky vampire.

“She could go all haywire again.”

What part of ‘got it’ didn’t he understand? “Okay, I’ll just be in the kitchen, cleaning up the mess... without magic, mind you!” The last bit was said with her tiny finger in the air. Beyond wanting to flee and give the demon before her much needed space, even though in the recess of her brain said ‘chip remember?’, Willow needed to make sure he would drink the antidote, so she waited expectantly. In order to convey her intent, she put on her serious face while folding her arms over her chest.

Glaring the entire time as he reached for the cup, even adding a sigh for dramatic effect, the truth was, it was refreshing to have somebody worried about his well being. “Bottoms up,” Spike grumbled before pouring it down his throat in one fluid motion. “Happy?”

“I think my work here is done.” The red head gave a nod and promptly turned to make her way down the stairs while Spike positioned himself next to Buffy on the bed.

****

Willow liked Spike, she really did, she just wasn’t sure Buffy needed another messy relationship with a vampire. He did love her, yes, but loving somebody didn’t always mean the future wouldn’t be grim, case in point, her and Tara, or even Anya and Xander. Love wasn’t enough to keep the once happy couples, couple-ly. Maybe she was wrong, it has been known to happen, rarely, but it has. However, it wasn't easy to shake the knowledge that Spike wasn’t an ordinary vampire by any means. Love, devotion, worthiness, they were all qualities no vampire or demon should possess, according to the books, but he did possess them. Actually, most humans don’t have such endowment like him. When Spike loved, he loved wholly, willing to do anything in order to prove it at all costs. Maybe her thought process was off; maybe if she was honest, her worries were more for the vampire himself, getting your heart broken is a terrible thing. Everyone and their mother knew the self righteous act Buffy portrayed, wasn’t so much an act as it was personality. Buffy was her best friend though and customarily speaking, it was her role take the side of said best friend, not the evil, leather wearing hottie. However, the girls in the Summers’ family are notorious for doing as they please, so she supposed her apprehensions wouldn’t be taken into much consideration. It was obvious attraction wasn’t a problem for the two. Heck, the pair had more sexual tension than hormonal teenagers did. No, the problem existed because Buffy was the Slayer - Spike was a vampire and according to some they were incapable of cherishing another. If only they met when they were both human.
Chapter 3 by Hostile17
Chapter 3


When alone, being unhappy was much worse than having friends around you to help the pain subside. Xander was glad to finally be back in Sunnydale with his two best friends because he could worry about their problems instead of lying in the giant holes he managed to dig. Walking out of the wedding had hurt and caught everyone off guard, but it seemed like the best choice to protect the one he loved. Time away helped him cope and understand the importance of his actions, but being back meant he didn't have to only think of what he'd done and could concentrate on all the evil the world had to offer. Wait, was fighting, and getting involved with vile creatures, for your entire life, better than feeling miserable for a few weeks? On second thought, maybe he made a mistake.

"Hello! I'm back! Clean and with a better smell now," cracking the door just far enough for a quick peek. The house seemed almost lifeless; the living room lights were off as well as the dining room, while silence crept throughout. Stepping in a bit further into the foyer, "Friends? Romans?" The only sign of someone's presence were the streams of light shining from the kitchen. If he strained his hearing, dishes shuffling with water splashing, gave him a definitive answer that somebody was in fact home. Having dropped by earlier, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if he poked his head in. Xander was concerned about Buffy and her newfound mental problem. Spike helped to capture the demon for Willow to extract its poison for the cure, so he was hoping everything was fine in the Summers’ residence by now.

Willow was standing in front of the sink, soaping up a few of the bowls she dirtied while mixing ingredients, as Xander entered from the doorway. "Ah! Just the witch I wanted to see."

Continuing the washing while looking over her shoulder at the new arrival, "Xander! Hey!" Willow finished the last dish, turning to face him while drying it with a towel, "Feeling better?"

"It hurts...," looking down with sad eyes, "I guess still no word from her?" The red head just shook her head softly. "Well how’s the Buffmiester?" Changing the topic was always a specialty with him.

"At the moment? Unconscious. We're waiting for her to wake up so we know if the potion took."

"Unconscious how?"

Of course he would get stuck on that little detail. "Well she was practicing the 'violence solves all' idea. Spike held her down so she'd drink, but ended up having to knock her out." The jealous, over protective guy will be taking over at this point, she thought.

"He what?!" Over reacting was another specialty.

Folding the towel and placing it on the counter, Willow rolled her eyes, "Xander, he was helping. He wants her better just as much as we do, but she wasn't too thrilled about that."

"I guess... At least the chip gave him one hell of a headache. That gives me a happy," an overly excited smile tugged his lips, hands rubbing together.

"Holy bejesus!" The chip! It never went off, why didn't she notice something as monumental as it not firing? Sure she was distracted, but not enough to overlook Spike not screaming in pain, right? In order to knock one out, especially of the Slayer variety, it had to have been rather hard. The behavioral modification chip was designed so that vampires and demons alike couldn't even point a toy gun at humans without exploding their brains, so how hard or soft of a blow shouldn't have mattered.

The look of panic on Willow's face set Xander aback, "Holy be-what, Will?"

Even though her friend meant well, he couldn't know about this. Not until some good old fashion research was done first. There had to be an explanation why the government work wasn't working. She should warn Buffy, unless she already knew? Buffy was upstairs, passed out with the vampire, alone. Oh no, not good! What if- Okay, she's been around Xander too long. Spike wouldn't hurt Buffy, even if he could, it would never happen. Still, this was something to look into because she wasn't sure if the chip didn't work on anyone or just Buffy and all the non-slayers in this town could be in danger. That was the plan then. Keep the small secret from Harris, then look into the 'why factor' later.

"Oh, umm... I forgot to tell Dawnie that everything should be normal again," walking around the center island, she was never good at lying so she thought it best to get out of there as soon as possible. Otherwise, he'd figure something was wrong. Mostly she was hoping that he was too wrapped up in the Anya situation to really detect anything.

"Right,” he said slowly as he eyed the red head. “How is the Dawn Monster? Still taking this pretty hard?"

"She's just upset, sister stuff. I think it’s a given that what was said wasn't anyone's fault. Dawn will come around and back again when I tell her the good news." Willow inched her way to the doorway, passed the boy. "So, I'll let you know when Miss Sleepyhead decides to tumble outta bed." She had made it to the bottom step, with Xander following, grabbing the hand rail and spinning around, "Bye." Short, sweet, and to the point. Instantly her feet began climbing the stairs.

"Sure, glad I was able to offer my manly skills to help." By the time the top step was behind her, the door had opened and closed, Xander let himself out, she sighed out of relief before continuing on to speak with the younger Summers.

Only knocking once before swinging the door open, not waiting for a reply because she knew one wouldn't be given. Most likely, Dawn was lying on the bed with headphones on and the volume turned all the way up, blaring in her ear. A brief glance around confirmed that the teen was too engrossed in a magazine and music to notice a person had entered her quarters. As the older girl sat on the edge of the bed, sloping the mattress to fit her form, Dawns head turned sharply to her before sitting up, leaving the Cosmo Girl behind.

"What’s up?" she asked while sliding the headphones down around her neck. The music still played, as if they were in an elevator listening to a background melody nobody actually paid attention to.

"I wanted to come up to tell you how things are looking up, way up," smiling for reassurance.

"You got her to drink it?" one eyebrow was raised, "So she's better then? We're all real now?"

"I'm pretty sure, but we're sorta in limbo till she wakes up." Willow's eyes lit up, "Do you wanna come downstairs and watch a rated "R" movie? It'll cheer you up, and we won't even tell Buffy about the "R" part."

It was worth giggling at; the fact that Willow thought a rated "R" movie was living on the dangerous side. Regaining her composure, Dawn couldn't stop smiling, "Sure, sounds fun." She wasn't about to tell her how watching an "R" movie was nothing new to her because she and Janice sneak into them on a regular basis.

Willow waited for Dawn to put away the CD player before walking down with her. The pair disappeared, laughter trailing after them. Teenagers needed to have somebody to hang out with when feeling blue, it gave them the sense that they were cared for and everything would eventually work out. Actually, it wasn't just teenagers, Willow thought; people of all ages would always crave that sense of security.

****

Supernatural abilities were all part of the Slayer package, but there were some things that were purely human. Intuition couldn't be claimed by the Slayer side of her, it was part of Buffy's natural instinct. It didn't need to be honed in on, it just simply was. For this reason, before her eyes opened, Buffy knew she was not alone.

Stretched out on her stomach, the pillow was soft on her cheek and she was so comfortable, it seemed like a crime to get up just yet. Instead, without maneuvering her body, she lifted her eye lids slowly, surveying the mysterious presence next to her. If the black t-shirt didn’t give it away, then surely the bleached tousled locks were what clued her in. He was on his back, beside her, with one arm under his head while the other hand rested on the rim of his jeans, his thumb hooked through the belt loop. Minutes passed as she laid there silently just watching him rest.

A small smirk graced his face and his fingers would twitch slightly, but he seemed so much at peace. It was strange how her tingles weren’t the first to sound alarm when she woke, or how they weren’t warning her now, but she never felt anything but safe under his watch. Admitting that to her psyche was difficult, but the hardest thing was coming to terms with loving the way this vampire could make her feel impervious to the outside world. Nothing could touch her when Spike kept her under lock and key.

And on that note... it was time to get up. Lovey dovey thoughts of a certain evil creature always ended badly. Besides, there were loads of apologizes to be shoveling out, which took time, so it was better to start early. Let him sleep, he needs it. The fact that I won’t have to thank him for stopping me from killing my friends and family, that’s just a convenient bonus. I can talk with him later... there’s always later. Not much of a fight, but Buffy pushed herself up carefully, taking into consideration that some beings had impeccable hearing, tiptoeing out of her room and shutting the door behind her.

****

Old wooden steps had a tendency to rub when stepped on, causing them to squeak and creak. The groaning floorboards stirred Spike from slumber. Rolling his head to the left, opening his mouth, “Buffy?” He berated himself in disgust at the worrisome William, pussy-whipped. Squinting, as his eyes readjusted, he inspected the empty space on the covers, along with the rest of the room. The only reasonable explanation he could come up with was that Buffy must have gotten up and went to chat with her chums.

He knew she probably was avoiding him, after a debacle like trying to murder your friends and family; there weren’t many things to say. The things one would have to say after such a fiasco were things Buffy seldom ever did, to him anyway. Sorrys’ and thank yous’ are reserved for those people in her life that truly mattered, and he wasn’t people.

“Fair enough,” he groused. “Wouldn’t want me down there muckin’ up the group hug.” Spike growled slightly as he sat upright on the bed, his peripheral vision catching a movement in the far corner of the room.

Enemies of the Slayer rarely made habit of lingering around her home, much less inside her room where she hid many weapons. Who, or what-ever this was couldn’t be the wisest of the bunch to ever declare war on the Slayer and her pals. Swiftly throwing his legs over the edge of the bed, boots thundering onto the floor, enabling him a better view. The unexpected individual rose too, shocked to see him. Disbelief filled his ocean blue eyes as his head hung to the side, Spike knew this one. Shaking his head as he processed what his eyes landed on, maybe a mistake was made somewhere along the ripple of time. No, he didn’t think so. Despite all the nonsense capturing his minds attention, there was one thing he knew for sure; who he saw standing before him, was supposed to be dead.
Chapter 4 by Hostile17
Chapter 4


Movies are highly known for their theatrics, and the ability to draw the audience in, captivating them with emotion greater than everyday life ever could. Action, drama, and heartache were the things people loved most while viewing a show, but they were exactly what Buffy hated about her life. All the exits were locked, so she was forced to sit. In chairs that had numerous stains from spilled drinks and food, the soles of her shoes stuck to the sticky floor, she watched. She watched the life of a girl spiral out of control, and no matter how much popcorn she threw at the screen, or yelled to the characters, it never ceased, just continued to play.

It was inevitable. The fact she had to apologize is what hurt most. How could she have gone against the people who were always there for her? They could have been hurt, or worse, killed by her own hands. However, Buffy’s psychological path was cleared now and it was time to make amends. Taking a deep breath to calm the butterflies exploding in her stomach, as she finished the distance of the staircase, coming in full view of the living room.

Dawn was sprawled out across the couch cushions, resting her head on a pillow that sat on Willows lap. The two girls had been watching something on T.V., when Buffy came down, it was paused as they looked at one another. The silence seemed to stretch for years, but only lasted a matter of seconds.

“How are you feeling?”

Willow breaking the awkward silence was good. It meant she didn’t have to, but now it was her turn to speak, crap. “I feel better. Not so much with the raving lunatic, as much with the really sorry sister and best friend.” Okay, it was out, the moment she was dreading, except now she had to wait for the response. This was undeniably worse. Though, when she received two smiles there was a rush of relief running through her.

“It was the demon who made you see those things and think you were crazy… You didn’t know what you were doing,” Willow offered.

“Yeah, and it doesn’t matter, ‘cause your all better now,” Dawn added as she sat up. “But if this happens again, we’re so tying you up and locking you in the closet.”

Buffy cracked a smile, “What if I get out?” This felt normal, taking jabs at each other, keeping the situation light and free of tension.

It was the red heads turn to throw a comment out, “Then we’ll have Spike knock you out again.” All the girls snickered, once the quiet returned, she got serious, “I’m glad you’re okay, it was getting pretty bad there.”

“I know. A-and I really am sorry guys, but thanks to you, I’m back and ready to Bronze it. Waddya say? My treat.”

“I don’t have any plans,” Willow’s cheerful grin turned to a frown, “It’s Friday night. Why don’t I have plans?”

Shrugging a shoulder, Buffy asked, “Does bringing mental stability back count as plans?”

The witch shook her head, “Not on a social scale.”

Looking over at her little sister, “Dawn? You in?”

Dawn scrunched her face some, “Janice and I are suppose to hang… but if-”

“No. Go out. Have fun,” she thought about what she had just told the younger girl, “Safe, non-stealing fun.”

Dawn just rolled her eyes as she strolled past to the door, “Yeah, yeah.” Without any further exchanging of words, she left, leaving her sister and Willow alone.

Buffy was the first to speak this time, “I’m just gonna go change, then we’ll go. Did you want to call Xan? He could use some fun time out.”

Nodding eagerly, Willow replied, “Sure, I’ll give him a call while you’re getting dressed.”

“Okay,” she turned to go to her room.

“Buffy?” The Slayer looked back. “Where’s Spike?”

Why did she keep mentioning him? “He fell asleep; I didn’t think I should wake him…” Because then I’d have to talk with him.

It wasn’t her place to say anything more about the guy upstairs, so Willow flashed a smile before moving for the phone. “I’ll be waiting down here.” Buffy took the sign and rushed off to get ready.

****

Trying to be considerate of the sleeping vampire, she turned the knob and pushed the door open as quietly as possible. When she stepped in, the room was empty. The only semblance that he’d been there at all was the ruffles left behind on the comforter atop her bed. The window was open, a slight breeze billowed the curtains up in a whimsical fashion. Classic. Out the window. Spike left secretly out my window.

After redressing into her favorite pair of jeans and pink halter top with diagonal frills, she examined herself in the mirror that sat in the corner of the room. “You’re going to go out. You’re going to have fun at The Bronze with your friends. And most important, you are not going to think about him.” Giving yourself direct orders in front of the mirror? Normal people do that, right?

****

Xander was busy refreshing their drinks at the bar, while the girls sat at a table near the dance floor. An alternative band called Joke of the Party was currently on stage. Each member had tattoos covering most of their body parts and so many piercings Buffy lost count. The noise coming from their instruments wasn't what most people called music, but the energy they supplied was worth watching.

They had been there nearly forty minutes now. Time spent with her fellow do-gooders was long overdue, and tonight was like it had been before she died, filled with jokes and naughty moves on the boogie floor. Between laughing so hard she almost spit her drink out, and dancing in the middle of the floor, she kept a close eye on the crowd. Watching for any sort of wicked creature to show, or a certain lurking vampire.

“You think he’s gonna show?” Willow shouted her question over the loud racket.

Was she that obvious? “Who?” Better to be nonchalant.

“You know who, Spike.” As a friend, she had to be brave, be bold, “You’ve been looking for him all night.”

“No, I-vampires. Part of the job, scouting out places like this,” she sucked at excuses. “They’re breeding grounds, remember?”

This was her chance to talk with Buffy about what happened earlier in her room, Xander wasn’t around, so she took the opportunity. “Speaking of Spike…”

No, it’s just you. Trying to act uninterested, “Yeah?”

“Well before, he was the one who had to knock you unconscious,” Buffy didn’t reply so she carried on, “Xander brought up that he must have had a huge horrible headache after hitting you, but Spike didn’t even wince.” The Slayer knew where this was going, but kept silent till her friend was finished. “And that made me think, what if his chip stopped working?! Maybe now he can hurt humans, but he doesn’t know it. Or maybe he does and he’s going around killing them on the side! Or-”

Silence wasn’t always golden. “That’s a lot of ‘maybe’s’ Will,” abruptly cutting the red head off. “Plus, you’re wrong. It does work, the chip.”

Willow’s eyebrows drew together, “What?”

“The chip works. Just not on me.” Buffy gently shook her head from side to side, “I don’t know the technical stuff… but when you brought me back, it messed with my molecular level, enough to confuse Spike’s chip.”

“Can I offer you two fine ladies a drink?” The third member of their party returned, three red plastic cups balanced in hand.

The next thing to shoot from Willow's mouth was a lie, she felt bad, but it needed doing, "I just saw a vampire leave with that girl!"

"Time to suit up?" Xander puffed out his chest as if he was Superman, scanning the club for potential danger.

Buffy's spidey-sense wasn't tingling, and she'd been staking out the place all night, there weren't any vampires. "Willow, I don't thi-"

"You should go, make sure she's okay," The witch persisted. Then while Xander was still turned around, she tilted her head towards the entrance with a face that said, 'Go on.'

Buffy's eyes widened as the meaning of what Willow was suggesting washed over her, "Right. Damsel in distress. Got it." Then mouthing, she added, 'Thanks, Will.' Distractions were definitely welcomed and much appreciated.

The boy spun around, "So are we going after the big lug? I've got my trusty-"

“Actually, I think I’m going to patrol,” standing while putting some money on the table. “It’s just, evil never sleeps, ya know?” Without waiting for objections from Xander, she was off to patrol. Restfield seemed like a great place to start.

****

The last hour had been spent sitting on the ratty chair in his crypt, thinking of all the possibilities and making all the assumptions his mind could conjure. There was only one that made a lick of sense, but at this point no theory could be discarded, as there was nothing to go off of. Leaving Buffy’s house, without her knowing was important, until he sussed this thing out. He needed answers, and he knew just where he’d find them. Ripping the door open, marching off in the grass toward town, determined to figure out what the hell was going on.

After waking in Buffy’s room, he’d seen somebody he hadn’t seen in over a century, but yet had never forgotten who he was. The man looking back at him had a smooth complexion with sharp features, deep azure eyes, and one of the most striking colors of hair. Reflections were a funny thing.

Spike’s first reaction had been to stare in astonishment, relishing in his devilishly handsome good looks, but he was blown away at the fact he could see himself, in a mirror none the less. Approaching closer, he noticed something else, much more subtle, but rather significant, he was taking in considerable amounts of air. Breathing, and not because he just like to have that human normalcy, no, it was involuntary. He hadn’t apprehended the full of it until he reached up with his fingertips, hovering over his heart before pressing his palm flat against his chest. A light thump resounded against his hand, and then it hit him. Spike was no longer a member of The Walking Dead Society.
Chapter 5 by Hostile17
Chapter 5


He had spent years trying to fit in with society, with other peers his own age, but he was a misfit since day one. Mother would hold social gatherings in order to help him make acquaintances, but he had always been a dysfunctional mess around the guests. At the age of twenty-two he decided it was time to leave his incompetence behind and become more of the man he wished he’d been from the beginning. He began fraternizing with a group, four other men his age that soon led him down the wrong path. The one boy, Lytton was the leader of the pack, giving him different tasks that he needed to complete if he was to run with this crowd. Fitting in was his top priority, so whatever Lytton asked of him, he did them thinking that by doing the odd jobs assigned, he would gain respect. Mostly his efforts were spent on petty theft, such as pick-pocketing and snatching goods from local shops, until the evening he chose the wrong person to steal from. That night altered his future in ways he never could fathom. He had turned into the alpha male; the one the others listened to out of fear. The tables had turned and he rose to the top. From that moment on he walked with confidence and was no longer the laughing stock among the people. So many options were offered to him that dark night, and only one was to thank for the liberation, William the Bloody.

****

Buffy had skipped out of The Bronze in a hurry, thanks to Willow, and now was walking across town for a routine patrol. It was just coincidence that she was starting the hunt in the cemetery a notorious Big Bad lived, and if she happened to see him, then so be it. Could she be anymore lame and with the denial?

Okay, so face the facts. He’s hot. Who in their right mind wouldn’t think that? It doesn’t put me in the wrong mind; it just means I have eyes. Throw in the fact that he does just about anything for you, and maybe I’m not the one looking so good in this. Plus, he did stop me from hurting anyone earlier. I should thank him. It was one hell of a job, conquering your own psyche and justifying your actions against skewed logic.

Just as she traipsed through the towering iron gates of the graveyard, a masculine form fled from a mausoleum about two hundred feet ahead. The moonlight was filtering through thick clouds, giving little distance of sight. As the figure neared, a slender build with a confident swagger, her stomach turned to knots, and her nerves flared up so bad, she thought she’d need medical attention. Damn his sexy effect.

Human night-vision was a bloody joke. How any of them ever fumble around in the dark was beyond him. He had nearly tripped twice since leaving his place, and still couldn’t see a lick of what was to come. Not to mention, the hunger gnawing at his belly was driving him insane. It had been so long since eating food was a necessity; he’d forgotten the dull ache that formed in an empty stomach. Breaking the concentration of looking at the ground for any other objects he might fall over, Spike glanced up, “Oh balls...,“ stopping dead in his tracks, unsure of what to do. Had she seen him already? Of course she had if he could see her, which meant doubling back was out of the question. Now was not the time to have a confrontation with the Slayer. She was most likely here to pop him one good in the nose for hitting her earlier or maybe to yell at him because he’d vanished without her knowing. He hoped it was the latter.

“Spike,” she said, hands firmly on her hips as she stepped closer.

A sharp nod, “Buffy.” He needed an excuse, and quick.

“When I came back up, funny thing, the room was empty with an open window... Any theories?” Buffy asked with a slight edge to her voice, she hadn’t meant to come out. Being stricter and having the walls around her when she was around Spike was easier. Everything he did revolved around emotions and that scared her. Emotions were things she thought better locked away in a safe guarded box.

Bringing his arms up over his chest, “Hmm... bit hurt ‘cause the disappearin’ act are we?” His eyes wide as he waited for a response. Tilting his head, ever so slightly to the side, mouth open some, the tip of his tongue touching the back of his top teeth.

“Oh please. You really do think you're God’s gift, don‘t you?” she snapped.

Getting Buffy upset with him wasn’t quite the plan he had in mind, but Spike figured it would do the trick of making her want to leave. Grinning wildly, “Hardly.” Dropping his arms to walk forward, leaving little space between them, “Creatures of the night weren’t created under his oversized hand,” gesturing towards the sky. It occurred to him that he didn’t fit in that category anymore, “Don’ mean I can’t switch sides, does it?”

Jutting her chin out, “Actually, it does Spike. Creatures like you can never be good. Evil is all you are.” Why was it the words escaping her lips were the opposite her mind was thinking? The harshness came out to keep him away, to keep her feelings unhurt, but all she did was crush his. Admitting her true affections seemed like the last hurdle to being happy, so why couldn’t she just do it? Maybe she was addicted to the pain and misery like he’d said, she could never let herself be content.

Those words cut deep, she was always out to make him feel worse to match the way she felt about herself. “Speakin’ of all the nasty fiends floatin’ around this town, don’t you have someplace to be? Sacred duty an’ all that rot?”

Great, now he’s mad, “Look, Spike-”

“Do yourself a favor Slayer, stop tryin’ to go with what those dusty ol’ books your buggered Watcher has, and learn from the real world. Take port from the battle to search the island, not everythin’ is what it seems,” stomping passed.

Buffy jogged to catch up, “I know that you’re different and that not everything is in black an' white-”

“Could’ve fooled me, luv,” he muttered, not breaking his strides.

“But I’m The Slayer. I-I can’t just run around town at night with you, having drinks or tearing down buildings! It doesn’t work like that!”

Stopping abruptly, Buffy almost ran into his back before he turned sharply on his heel, “You did with Angel.”

“Angel had-,” Spike’s face hardened, his jaw clenched as he glared at her, so she changed her wording, “I was young. I didn’t understand the repercussions of being with him.”

Spike snorted, “You know? I do the good deeds, help people, however stupid they are for followin’ strangers at night, to do right by you, and yet, I’ll never be held up high like King of the Hair-gel.”

Her demeanor altered completely, “The reason I came out here tonight was to thank you. For protecting my family and making sure I was cared for. I would have told you before, but you went all avoidy on me.”

Moments passed before either said a word, then Spike cracked a smirk, “Avoidy?” Buffy-isms were his favorite.

“The Houdini number?”

“Houdini,” waving his hand, “Nothin’ more than smoke n’ mirrors.”

Behind Spike, at the gates, were three outlines, and by the way her Slayer radar was on the fritz, she knew it was some vamps out for a snack. He didn’t even seem to recognize his own kind, since he was still going on about what a fake the magic mastermind was.

“There’s far more talented warlocks an’ the like out there who-”

“Spike!” Buffy whispered, not wanting to gain attention yet. “Three blood suckers behind you. Up for a fight? I am.” She didn’t wait for his answer; instead she called out, “Hey! Did you guys forget whose town this is?”

“Uhh, Buffy...,” Spike couldn’t believe his luck. How was he supposed to fend off what he used to be just hours before without any super strength or shiny weapon? Buffy wasn’t to find out he was human by seeing how weak he was in a brawl, he had extensive scenarios already thought up. He also had no choice in the matter, as the vampires had already circled them.

“You thought what? You guys would go out, see a show then grab a bite to eat?” Standing off and pulling out a stake from her back pocket, “Betcha didn’t count on running into me, huh?”

The main vampire morphed, baring his fangs, “Get em’ boys.” The other two slipped into their demon visage.

Buffy was the first one to make a move, punching the first vampire in front of her, and using him as leverage to kick the one behind her. Spike was left to face off with the third. The vampire pounced, but was hit in the back of the head as Spike dodged him and whipped out his stake.

The encounter continued with punches being thrown and kicks flying through the air. Buffy had been thrown to the ground by one of her opponents, flipping back up, she jabbed him in the gut before elbowing him on the side of his face. The second came at her, round-housing her in the back, knocking her into the arms of the first vampire. He held onto her arms tightly, allowing his friend to advance.

“Hold still, this will only hurt a lot,” they cackled.

“Been there, done that!” Lifting both feet, she pushed off the advancing vampire, shoving the one holding her into a headstone, causing him release his grip on her.

Spike was trying his best to elude his attacker since he didn’t have much of an advantage. He was able to land some punches, but was mostly on the receiving end. He’d lost his stake in the grass sometime between being hurled into the air and landing head first into tombstone. A small amount of blood trickled down his forehead, but he wiped at it and stood. Being a human meant he was much more breakable and susceptible to pain, but Spike was never one to show his agony.

“Come on you pillock! Is tha’ all you got?” Spike shouted, as he thought of his next move. The sting in his lungs from having to gulp in air and the adrenaline rushing through his body only served as a distraction. Relishing in the feel of being a truly active person was something he’d have to remember to do at a later time.

Buffy had managed to dust one of assailants, leaving only two. She currently was straddling one at the waist; stake in hand, ready to plunge it into his heart when she heard Spike grunt. The other vampire had thrust his boot into Spike’s chest, sending him to the ground once more. He stood over the bleached blond with the stake that he had dropped earlier. Crying out, the Slayer flung herself off the vampire she was about to dust, rolling in the grass and sweeping her foot into the standing one’s ankles. As he fell to the ground, she wasted no time in driving the stake through his heart. Dust particles settled everywhere, the remaining vampire struggled to his feet, running fast to escape.

The thought of chasing after him crossed her mind first, but when she looked over at her fallen comrade, it dissipated quickly. Spike attempted to sit up, wincing as he did so.

“Spike? What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, concerned, she crawled to him, kneeling at his side.

“I’m fine, pet. Got myself one hell of a beatin’ is all.” Groaning as he reached up to inspect the cut at the top of his forehead.

“Lemme see,” Buffy persisted, her left hand attentively checking the wound on his head, her right had found its place on his chest. “It’ll be okay, it’s shallow so-”

Everything hit her at once. The rapid breathing, the cut, and the accelerated pounding drumming under her fingers. She froze, frowning down at him while he stared back with a hint of fear in his eyes. Neither spoke.

Breathlessly Buffy managed to choke out, “H-how... I... W-when did...?” Tears formed, blurring her sight, before rolling down her cheeks, searing into her flesh.

Spike had no words; this wasn’t how it was supposed to work. So instead he stayed silent, allowing her to come to terms with this new information. Gently, he laid a hand over the one on his chest, squeezing lightly and taking a deep breath, “Buffy, luv-”

Licking her bottom lip, “You’re alive...”
Chapter 6 by Hostile17
Chapter 6


The Boss wouldn't be pleased with the fact that Kevin and Justin were dust at the hands of the Slayer. The point of their outing had been to track down the one and only Miss Summers then report back to the man in charge. When they deviated from the plan, it proved to be the worst decision, and now he was the poor vamp who’d have to suffer the consequences.

He never knew what to expect when the guy got angry. Once, he saw him torture a demon that did him wrong, and many times before, had seen him kill the ones that failed. However, sometimes he just eyed them and would stay silent before walking away. Hopefully, this time he’d get the silent treatment and not something wooden through the chest.

“Hey Boss.”

“Jacob,” he motioned to the chair across from where he was sitting, “Please, sit.”

That was another thing Jake didn’t know how to handle. The English are so prim and proper and so polite it threw him for a loop. How was he supposed to know if the man was angry or not? It was time to tread softly. Like an obedient dog, he sat.

In a deep, rich accented voice, “You reek of fear. Why is this Jacob?”

Jake audibly swallowed, “We ran into the girl tonight, Sir.”

His only reaction was to perk a single brow, “Oh?”

“She had a human with her, so we thought we’d grab her and bring her to you...,” gulping down his nerves, “But Kev and Jay-”

“Enough.” An order. It was not shouted but said with such vehemence that even the crickets chirping instantly terminated their songs. Rising from his chair and slowly pacing the length of the room, “I did not come all this way to have my servants decide for me and ruin all the chance of success.”

“I’m sorry Boss. We should have known. The only reason I got away was because she was more worried over the life of her human than me. Otherwise-”

No longer pacing, he stood tall, making his ranking clear, “Tell me of this human. And remember, this new information may save your existence.”

It was phrases like those that would put any creature in a state of compliance. “It was a guy. Had a Billy Idol style going for him. You know, like, bleached hair, black clothes, and a British accent. A-and I think she call em’ Spike?”

The last part seemed to pique interest, “Spike? Are you sure?” The surprises kept coming.

****

Since the fight in the graveyard with the three vampires, there hadn’t been much speaking between Spike and Buffy. She seemed to be too stunned for words, which Spike thought he’d never see the day, but he waited patiently for her to say something. He wished he could know what she was truly thinking instead of coming up with all the “what ifs” his mind had to offer. Like, what if she’s thinking of all the possibilities for their future, or what if she is trying to think of a new excuse not to fall in love? The fact that she hadn’t run away is what kept him in high spirits and from demanding her thoughts. He knew she was processing the events of the night by the way she kept biting her lower lip.

The only words Buffy mumbled were “come on” after helping Spike up off the grass earlier. She led him right back to his crypt, grabbed some first aid supplies he had in the corner by the fridge, then with him in the chair, she began cleaning the cut above his eye. Spike wasn’t going to be the fool who complained about receiving special treatment, he rather enjoyed the way Buffy was taking care of him. It was soothing how gentle her tiny hands were as she dabbed up the blood with some cotton. This was something he could get used to, a softer side of the Slayer.

“How long have you known?” she questioned softly.

He turned his head up to look at her sitting on the arm of his chair. As she capped the hydrogen peroxide bottle, he began speaking about what had happened. “Not very. Only learned of it myself when I woke in your room. Saw somethin‘, turned out to be my reflection. The fact I was human dawned on me shortly after.”

“So that’s why you used the fire escape route?”

“Course. Why’d you think?”

“I dunno. Maybe that you left because you were so fed up and today was the last straw?”

“Not possible. You know I could never leave. I love you too much, Buffy.”

“I didn’t say it wasn’t stupid thinking.”

The tomb grew dead with silence again. “So...,” drawing in a sufficient amount of air to fuel his courage, “Does this change things between you n’ me, pet?”

Admiring the cuteness of his nervousness, she almost didn’t hear what Spike had asked, “It does. But, part of me doesn’t believe this is happening and the other part seems to keep backing her up.”

“Trus’ me, the whole bloody ordeal don’ seem real. I was on my way to find answers when you bumped into me.”

“I think you were the one doing the bumping.”

Giving his signature grin, “You wish.” A slight blush colored Buffy’s cheeks as she looked everywhere except him. He found it amazing that a girl who had done the things she had, in this very spot no less, could still be so innocent in moments like these. “You mind if we get a bite? Human hunger is far worse than being peckish.” There was no sense in pushing their relationship right now, even so, it pained him that she was still unable to admit feelings he thought would have come easily from the new circumstance. Optimism that she soon would, kept him at peace, but he knew they still had tangles to comb through.

****

Twenty-five minutes and a mix-mash of food later, the fridge in the Summers' home was empty, but Spike's stomach was so full he thought he may be sick. Watching the newly turned human raid her refrigerator had to be filed into her favorite top ten list. Upon leaving the crypt, Buffy suggested her place because Willow had just gone grocery shopping, so it was stocked full of goodies. The house was practically deserted, besides the sleeping witch upstairs. Dawn was sleeping over at her friend, Janice’s house.

The moment they stepped foot into the kitchen, Spike flung the icebox doors open, snatching up all his mitts could carry. Buffy sat on a stool at the other side of the island as he piled it high with delicious ingredients. She couldn’t stop laughing as he’d open something to test its taste, like when the ice-cream in the back of the freezer was no longer a secret. He dipped his index finger into the container, licking its contents off with a satisfied moan.

“No wonder you dozy bints love this,” he managed to say while cramming more into his mouth.

Laughing loudly Buffy shook her head, “Most bints use a spoon!”

“But my way’s much tastier;” immersing his digit back into the ice-cream once more, and holding it over the table, “Nibble?”

Buffy rose with a soft smile and leaned over the counter. Her tongue lightly swept along the bottom of his finger before wrapping her lips around him, sucking the cream off slowly. Spike couldn’t help but gasp. Watching those lips surround, well, any part of him, made his cock twitch. Bending forward, capturing her mouth in a sweet kiss, his tongue begging entrance, which she granted. It was unlike any of their past rendezvous when it was always a battle, this was soft and sensual. Spike felt like it was a major impact, like he had a place in her life and not just the guy who helped get her rocks off.

Gently tugging on her bottom lip, “You taste delectable.”

Being swept up in these moments with Spike was simple, the way he worshiped her, and talked with the sexy accent was enough for her body to take control of her mind. Grinning against his lips, “Mmm... I bet I’d taste better with ice cream.”

Wouldn’t that be the ticket? Licking his new favorite treat off her perfect breasts. “I don’ think you have a soddin’ clue as to what you do to me,” he replied, voice drenched with arousal, as he slid around the center island.

Her eyes landed on the pronounced bulge in his jeans, “I think I do.” She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, playing with the soft hairs at the nape of his neck.

Masculine palms slid down her back, cupping her ass as he pulled her to him. Smirking, he squeezed, lifting her off the floor effortlessly and setting her atop the counter. Her lips were slightly swollen now and he couldn’t help but crash his to hers, massaging her tongue with his, “God, you’re gorgeous.”

With years of living, and a hundred of not, Spike found that much of what he learned was all compiled within him. From common sense to book smarts, and regular gut reaction, it all was something time had allowed him to become skilled at. He broke contact from Buffy’s kiss, concentrating on the back door window. “You hear that?”

For a few seconds she listened, “Nope,” she answered, pulling him in again.

Frowning, Spike freed himself from the Slayer’s embrace, walking towards the door, scanning the backyard for any sign of an intruder.

“Spike?”

Without turning his head, “Uhh... What?”

“Something wrong?” she asked, twisting herself to see outside better.

Bingo. Bloody well can't hide from me. “No, jus’, I should go. It’s umm... late, so,” turning back to her, “I’ll be by tomorrow, yeah? Talk bout’ it then.”

Something was off, in the major sense. When did Spike ever turn her down? Besides that time he told her to leave his crypt, which so didn‘t count. “You’re not staying?”

Their leaving gotta move Spike. “Better not. Don’ wanna be rushin’ things. Night luv.” With a quick nod and a turn of the door handle, he was off, melding into the black of the night.

It was disconcerting how he left so suddenly, but Buffy suspected he knew or saw something she didn’t. His behavior was obvious, but it didn't stop that nauseous feeling of being left once again from creeping into her tummy. The thought of having Spike as more than a fling also put butterflies in her, since now there was no excuse to keep him at bay. Maybe she was confusing butterflies with the warm fuzzies because she couldn't help but smile when she thought of lying with him in the morning, or possibly taking a walk during a sunny day. Answers for 'why' this happened didn't seem so important to her, reveling in the fact that it did was better, just in case the Powers That Be decided to take it away.
Chapter 7 by Hostile17
Chapter 7


Whoever it was lurking about 1630 Revello Drive was about to feel the wrath of a very pissed off Cockney. First off, disrupting him when he was with his lady was punishable by various types of torture. Second, trying to catch a peek of Buffy and him while having sex and other naughty romps was not acceptable, unless said person was somebody Spike would thoroughly enjoy ticking off. Third, and most important, he was still semi hard, his cock had been throbbing, yearning to slam into Buffy's warmth, over and over until he was dizzy and then repeat the process till his muscles would allow it no more. Thanks to whomever, it looked as if tonight he would be accompanied by only his right hand.

Spike was kicking himself for leaving the girl behind as he kept a steady pace through the yard. That was the last thing he wanted to do, but the hairs on the back of his neck were standing. There was a familiar sense that clued him in about watchful eyes, and once Spike saw the shadows move, he was convinced the eerie shiver running down his spine was alerting him of a family member nearby. For that reason, he didn’t want to worry Buffy, in case it was Drusilla making a guest appearance, or his git of a grandsire alerting of danger.

They were still close, and by the time Spike reached the alley, he was positive they were stalking him from the cover of the darkness. He spoke out loud in monotone, not shouting, as Buffy might hear, “Don’ know what game you’re playin’ at mate, but you best let yourself be known.”

“No game, William.”

That voice. The old English accent. The way he was referred to by his given name. No, it couldn’t be. Could it?

“Colton?”

Finally, he revealed himself by stepping out from his hiding place and into the pale lit alleyway. The image he presented was a pristine handsomeness delivered by his sharp dress, broad shoulders, and squared jaw. An Armani suit clung to his strapping frame, complimenting his hazel eyes and dark auburn hair. “So, it’s true then old friend...”

Spike was still shocked as hell to see him, “What’s it you’re goin’ on ‘bout?”

Colton grinned wickedly, “You. William the Bloody, human? With the Slayer no less. I had to see it with my own eyes.”

The once Big Bad hadn’t been alive for even a full day yet and the news had already spread? Buffy was the only one who found out and he had not talked with anyone else. Plus, Colton, of all vampires, dared showing his face in Spike’s town? All this added up, equaled not good.

“Look Colt, you got it all wrong.” Better to spin the truth if he wanted behind the scheme. “An’ why is it you’re in my bloody city?”

“Can I not greet my own sire once a decade?” Colton questioned back in a polite manner.

****

England, 1880

“We don’t keep you ‘round here for nuthin’! Go on then!” Colton was shoved towards the door of the town’s most famous pub.

Walking up the few steps slowly and looking back at a cross armed Lytton, he meekly stammered, “I’ll do what I can.”

“Ay, you better!”

Grabbing the lapels of his jacket, tugging to straighten out the wrinkles, he entered the bar cautiously. Lytton had decided the easiest way for Colt to obtain money or other valuables that could be fenced for cash, was by stealing it from men that were highly intoxicated. The busiest tavern in town was the first place thought of.

The tables were filled with cigar smoking gentlemen, amusing themselves with mature, sophisticated jokes he didn’t find humorous. He was making his way to the bar counter, thinking it would be the best part of the parlor to scout from, when he was shoulder checked by a new arrival.

“Excuse me,” were the first words pouring from Colt’s mouth, but he couldn’t help but wonder why he was the one saying it. He wasn’t the one who ran into him. The man didn’t say anything in return, just kept moving to the corner table in the back, where a game of poker was being held. Colton ordered his drink from the tender, but as he reached into his jacket pocket to retrieve payment, his money clip was missing. A bit frantic, he whirled around, searching the floors before resting his eyes on the patron taking a seat at the corner table.

It was the one who’d smashed into his shoulder moments before, and he was tossing paper bills onto the table top for the game’s buy in from Colton’s billfold. The feeling was terrible, getting thieved from when he was supposed to be the sly one stealing? The fact that he never liked the idea of taking what wasn’t his just added to his shame. Everyone was sure he’d end up a failure, and here he was, living up to that expectation. There was absolutely nothing he had a talent for. Anger and self-pity set in as the taunting memories made themselves known again.

“That’s mine!” He yelled out, gaining unwanted attention from everyone but the man sitting with his back to him. Storming over to the game of cards, reaching over the crooks shoulder to take back what belonged to him, “I said, that’s mine!”

Before his fingers could curl around the bills, his wrist was seized tightly in mid-air. “I believe you may be mistaken.” His tone, like his grip was firm.

“No, that is clearly my possession. It has my name engraved in it.” Acting tough and fierce was never his forte, and he hated looking so weak.

The man finally turned his head, peering over his shoulder at Colton, “Its engraved William.”

With a harsh pull of his arm, he was able to free his wrist, but not without making a scene. He stumbled back into a chair, tripping onto the floor. Laughter bellowed out of every pair of lungs there, so he scrambled to his feet before high tailing it to the exit.

Colton made it to the side of the building, leaning against its stone wall, kicking at the dirt. The sting of tears threatened to spill out, so he squeezed his eyes shut to prevent them from coming. One humiliating night had summed up his pathetic excuse of existence, showing him how he’d never amount to anything. Crying would only worsen the situation, so he took in a deep breath, willing himself to stop.

That William will need to leave, and when he does, I’ll be sure to be there.

By the time William came sauntering out, it was well past the midnight hour. Colton decided to follow him to a more inconspicuous area; he trailed after for nearly ten minutes before the man wandered into a back pathway.

“I would like my clip back, sir,” trying his best to stand firm and not shake, as if he was a scared puppy with his tail between his legs.

William slowed to a stop, turning around as a smirk spread across his lips, “Oh?”

“Tis’ rightfully mine,” Colton ground out, and he cocked his arm back, swinging it wildly at Will.

His closed fist was caught, and William twisted it behind his back, slamming his face into the brick siding of the nearest building. A streak of blood emerged from a fresh scrape on his cheek and he couldn’t help but whimper some.

"I know who you are," William said, pressing harder on his arm.

It was as if the bone was splintering slowly through his skin and would soon snap completely. "Ahh! W-what?" Struggling was no use, the man was like steel and Colton couldn't get him to budge.

"God's disgrace. Lost cub with only Mother's approval." A dry chuckle cut through the night's silence, "Poor sap's the flunkie! Fancy a second chance then?"

"I'm not- Gahh!" In an instant, a blood curdling yell tore from his throat.

Something sharp tickled his neck, and then started to sink in, a slow intense sting set in before his flesh had been broken and torn into, rich thick blood gushed out, dribbling down his chest. The pain was excruciating, but the screams never surfaced due to the extremity clasped over his mouth. Adrenaline rushed through his veins, flooding his system, but waned just as quickly as the creature behind him drank his fill. All attempts to wriggle away had failed; the alley was spinning around him as the world was beginning to go black. Thoughts of making an action made no connection, as he went limp in his executioner’s arms.

He could still feel the fangs retract as his body proceeded to shut down. There was something plush and wet he could feel pushing against his lips, all functions were gone, but William calmly ordered, “Drink.”

A syrupy fluid splashed on his tongue, the taste of copper filled his mouth, and he swallowed. Energy soared through him with the tiniest bit, imagine what more could do. So he drank. Mouthfuls of the liquid coated his throat, charging his system with power he never knew existed, it became an addiction and he couldn’t stop. Within moments the fuel ended, and once again, the scene blackened before him.

Dust particles danced in streams of light shining through gaps in the wooden slats of the barn he awoke in. He felt strong, refreshed, and most of all, significant. He had been nothing but pathetic before, and now the world was his. William was the savior that provided new life. He would learn from his procreator, how to utilize this new incredible essence, to become part of the true dominators who walk this earth.
Chapter 8 by Hostile17
Chapter 8


"So tell me then, if I have it wrong, why is the Slayer of Slayers denying the kill?"

Spike glared as he neared the vampire, prominently raising his hands to rest on his hips, "Well, as you've so perceptively pointed out, not a vamp anymore. Can't jus' flutter 'round killin' people, and the Slayer is the protection to have." He paused before adding with a smug expression, "Plus, she's one hellava shag." They both cracked a chuckle.

"I see." Colton took Spike by the shoulder, "Least you're not too attached." It was a statement, but he meant it as a question, using it to gauge a reaction.

Spike's scarred brow lifted, "Please. The only thing I'd miss from that crazy bird is that deliciously toned body."

"Ahh. Well then, seems I have a solution to both your quandaries," Colton assured while patting Spike's upper back.

His black tipped fingers fished out a pack of smokes from his pocket. He took his time plucking a cigarette from the box to put between his lips. Once he lit it and took a long drag, he questioned, "Jus' what is it you have in mind mate?"

Now he was getting somewhere. Colton was up to something, as usual, and Spike was highly intrigued because it had to do with his woman. So far he was eating up every word Spike said, but soon words wouldn’t be enough.

****

Buffy is in a tremendous amount of danger now, and it was all his fault. True, she is always facing potential life threatening beasties, and once upon a time, Spike had been one of them. Although, looking back, he had plenty moments in his favor when he could have snapped her neck or sunk his fangs in, but never did because somewhere deep down he couldn't bring himself to do it. In all honesty, he had to much fun fighting her, thinking how wonderfully brilliant she was when all worked up, and he didn't want that to end. Not then, not now, not ever. Yet, he is responsible for putting her in harms way of a demon he hoped would never show his face again, and now he was powerless to stop him. This wasn't her fight to risk her neck. No, it was his, and since he had created it, he would end it.

Colton. A piss poor use of human life turned to the darkness. Obviously it was a regrettable mistake on Spikes part, but how was he to know? He was just a fledging himself, a newly risen member of hell, and had not learned of these things yet. Creating a new world, siring new existence, was a profound experience. The connections are unlike any human blood ties. They are impenetrable and cannot be imitated. The bond is superior to any other ritualistic union and was only broken when one parcel perished, but even then the suffering is shared. Feeling, sensations, pain, it’s all illuminated through forces unknown between a sire and their childe. It was the sort of thing that was thought to be a prolific progression in a vampire’s lifetime.

Spike was unaware of the significance behind making a new generation when he stood across the cobble stone street of that local pub, observing a boy being shoved and talked at like he was an insolent pest. He seemed like a proper gentleman, but one who was too shy and weak to stand up for himself, reminding Spike of some else he used to know. That was when something sparked within, a return the favor sort.

****

It was too dark to really see out there, shadows overcast their faces, but the dim street lamps provided enough for outlines to show visibly. There were two figures, though one was rather stand offish, they seemed to get along alright as they stood, talking with one another.

She was spying. To get a better look, Buffy tiptoed into her mother’s old room, careful not to disturb Willows peaceful slumber, and was being sly as she peeped out the back window into the alley. Generally speaking, it was wrong to spy and pry into other peoples business, but there were always exceptions to those legalities. Under the circumstances, she thought sticking her nose into why Spike was being sneaky and making lame excuses to leave was perfectly acceptable. For whatever reason, this person was important enough for him to leave suddenly and have a secret meeting in the middle of the night, and that made her uneasy.

****

Everything was different now. Spike isn’t a vampire anymore, which meant all of her reasons for not allowing herself to get involved- in the relationship way- with him have flown out the window and some she tossed out that proverbial window herself. Buffy could never face her friends and let them know how sick and demented she was for being with an evil, soulless thing, but things have changed. Even when she would wake in his arms after long hours of activity, she would will herself back to the dreamland she came from because she wasn’t ready to leave his protective embrace. She dreamt of simple things that she wanted to share with him, cooking breakfast together, making rounds in the super market, or just having him to laugh with, but she’d never tell Spike that because it’d just raise his hopes and make it so much harder for her to act as if she didn’t care.

Buffy hated herself for being so selfish and for treating Spike like she had. She told him as much when she came to him in the lower level of his crypt. Now, she had the opportunity to reconcile, not just with him, but herself as well. Her friends couldn’t look down upon her, Spike was alive, in the heart beating, lungs breathing sense, which meant she could give Spike and her what they wanted and value Spike for who he was. Maybe, just maybe, the world and all its forces against her would permit her an ounce of a normal life.

****

Early mornings were usually reserved for old people who were out scurrying around looking for a good garage sale to rummage through, or those plain early risers who had no real reason to get out of bed besides not wanting to feel as if they’ve wasted the day. Buffy had been awake since daybreak, and was currently trekking through the morning dew in the most human populated cemetery in Sunnydale. Starting things off with Spike in a positive light was so important to her, that she wanted to show him how serious she was truly taking this entire matter. Having known for quite a while that he deeply loved her, and that it wasn’t just infatuation, she felt it was time to finally welcome it instead of not acknowledging his feelings.

The aged rusty hinges groaned as she pushed the iron door open, letting in the sun’s beams. The make shift home Spike made livable was actually very cozy and she always felt comfortable within its walls. The upper level was empty, but making the assumption the blond was sleeping in the disaster area downstairs, she descended down the ladder as discretely as possible. He must have gotten a new bed set because Buffy's previous prediction was correct; Spike was passed out on the large mattress. He was sprawled out on his stomach, and as was habit, very much naked. The white sheet barely covered his form, leaving those cute dimples right above his butt visible for Buffy to ogle as she ambled closer. The next step would be the challenge, trying to wake Spike was like trying to wake a coma patient.

"Spike?" Buffy inched closer, "Spike." Nothing. "Spike!" She reached out, palming his bare shoulder and shaking him, "Spike!" Even when he was dead, it wasn't this hard to get his ass out of bed.

His only reaction was a low rumble in his chest when he moaned, "Mmm..."

Crinkling her nose, she chose a different approach and leaned down, tickling his ear as she spoke, "Spike, I want you, right now. If you wake up, I'll give you the best blo-" His eye popped open instantly, and Buffy smiled sweetly, "Morning."

"Makin' up bluffs like that won't win a bloke over," he informed her in a groggy morning voice.

"I had to switch tactics; it was reserved as my last resort. Besides, not like I had many options, have you ever tried to wake you up?"

Spike rolled onto his side, propping his head up on his fist. The linen draped over his waist slid even further down his hips, giving the appearance he was posing for an Abercrombie and Fitch photo shoot. He really did have an amazing body, plus his hair had that sexy, messy curl look, and Buffy’s eyes couldn’t help but trail the length of his torso two times over before she sat on the edge of the bed where he’d made room for her.

“What brings a lady to visit a fella in a place like this?” Spike asked, referring to the charred debris that lay all around them.

“Well, I couldn’t really sleep last night. After everything... and I started thinking... it sounds pretty silly now that I’m saying it out loud, but...,” her fingers were nervously fiddling with the edge of the bed sheet.

Spike covered her hands with his free one, “Buffy?” His heart swelled at how she didn’t even try to pull away.

“I was just thinking that... it’s been over a hundred years since you’ve been outside in the daylight, and it’s a big deal ya know? So, I thought, if you want me to, I could be there with you... taking that step. We could make a day of it.”

He was in a complete state of awe. She wanted to be with him as he first stepped into the sun? It was so small, but it meant the world to him. The fact that she offered to stand beside him as he embraced this new life so he wouldn’t be alone was astounding, but what made it truly remarkable, was that she wanted to be there so they could experience it together.

“Sounds perfect, luv.”

Buffy looked up, “Really?”

He smiled, "Yeah, really."

She stood with a bright beam on her face, "Okay, I'll be waiting upstairs." Was she actually nervous about spending the day with him? It was just Spike. She's been around him many times before, but now she felt shaky and out of breath from anticipation as she began climbing the ladder.

Getting ready for Spike consisted of a quick shower and choosing which of his many black jeans and tees to wear, she wouldn't be waiting for long. He was in the process of heading over to the improvised shower he had rigged, watching his girl leave the cavern, enjoying her wriggling ass, "Buffy."

Pausing and looking back, "Hmm?"

"Good morning."
Chapter 9 by Hostile17
Chapter 9


The only time Spike’s skin was under the sun’s rays, not catching fire, within a hundred plus years, was the few minutes he spent brawling with the Slayer on UC Sunnydale’s campus with the Gem of Amara on his finger. While he couldn’t deny he had a blast getting under her skin, he never got the chance to actually enjoy the freedom of walking among the city streets in after-noon hours. When he followed Buffy out of the crypt this morning, after being a vampire for so long, it was difficult to go against his instincts and trust he wouldn’t go up in flames. As he stood at the lights threshold, squinting up at the clear blue sky, allowing his eyes to adjust, small fingers laced with his. Spike squeezed them delicately as he stepped fully out of the shadows cover, and wasn’t sure if it was Buffy’s radiance or the sun’s, spreading across his flesh. Looking at her, the gracious smile and encouraging eyes chased away any doubt in his mind.

****

Quality time with the one and only Chosen One was hard to come by unless you were an evil beastie trying to take over the world. Everything today, from the moment his angel whispered in his ear, was surreal. Just being with her, having her in his company was enough to make this the best day of his life. There were still problems and issues between them, but those could wait. For the time being he wanted to bask in what they had for the day.

The blond pair had just been walking aimlessly through the town in a comfortable silence, enjoying what nature offered. Buffy was the first to break the quiet. The butterflies swarming in her stomach were easier to ignore when her mouth was busy chattering.

“How’s your head?”

Spike’s hand mindlessly reached up, touching the bruised area, “Don’ heal like I use to.”

“Yeah, that’s kind of a perk to being super human,” he smiled but didn’t say anything, so she added, “So… what do you wanna do?”

Throwing his hand over his chest, pretending to be astonished at her lack of preparation, “Well I thought you were the one plannin' the day’s activities, Luv.”

“It’s not like I wrote out an agenda attached to a clipboard. This sorta was the plan.” That was something she always liked about Spike, vampire or human, he could always have fun and act goofy. Unlike Angel who was always in the serious mode around her.

Pointing to a diner down diagonal from them, "Fancy some of those breakfast dishes in the meantime? You need some meat on those bones."

"You mean you’re not still full after eating everything my kitchen had to offer?"

"It's a great thing, having a metabolism."

As they stepped off the curb and into the street so they could meet their destination, the Cockney's eyes followed the flight of a bird that crossed before him. It flew around the corner, and he noted the suspicious dark van parked in a spot adjacent to the small café.

Spike held the door open to the eatery for Buffy and as she walked through she kindly said, "Thank you." It felt strange to allow him to be so proper around her because normally she would act annoyed or want to prove her independence every time he displayed those manners. After time, she assumed she broke him of the habits, but apparently once a gentleman, always a gentleman.

"Well aren't you two just the cutest couple in town!" A heavy set, middle aged waitress announced as she approached the booth where they were settling into. "My names Pam, I'll be taking care of you this morning. What can I start ya off with?"

A light blush crept up Buffy's neck from the waitress’s bold comment, "Uhh... Orange Juice? Please."

Spike had a smirk on his face and couldn't take his eyes off the girl across from him, "Same."

"I'll be right back with those," she informed, then scampered off to get the drinks.

"Look at us, already gaining more attention than the Queen herself," Spike teased as he opened the paper menu, scanning its contents. "I'm sure you've eaten breakfast sometime in all your years... What do you recommend, sweetheart?"

"Well, I'm a fan of pancakes, but I practically stalk french toast. Add tons of syrupy goodness, and I'm hooked for life."

"Right then."

Pam was coming their way, two cups filled with juice in hand. Placing the glasses in front of each, directing her attention to Buffy, "Here ya two go. Have you decided yet?"

"I'll have the french toast. With scrambled eggs."

Pam scribbled on her pocket sized paper, "Mhmm... And you dear?"

"French toast, sausage, and tons of syrupy goodness." The last part he emphasized, looking at Buffy, for which he received a small giggle.

Their server put on a huge smile, giving the young girl a piece of advice before departing, “Hunny, you got yourself a good one, hold onto him.”

With that cocky grin, “Somebody likes me. Think we can get a free meal if I bring out the charm?”

Buffy started laughing, “Don’t make me have to fight her off.”

Raising an eyebrow, mind reeling with all the possibilities, “Now that could be fun. We’d have to find a better looking chit, but-”

“Eww! Besides, she wouldn’t last but 10 seconds with me.”

“Well you’ll jus’ havta’ go easy on her. Drag the charade out some.”

****

By the time their meals arrived, Spike and Buffy had become the people that always laughed too loud in public, like the entire world was to know their conversation was highly hilarious. And yet again, Buffy was amazed of how the Brit shoveled all his meal into his mouth so fast, then because she felt full after eating almost half of hers, Spike was in the process of finishing off the rest.

“You don’ eat enough,” he commented between bites.

“If I ate like you, I’d be bigger than a Frakchal demon,” she pointed out.

“Well, we can’t have that,” Spike retorted sarcastically.

"Shut up," Buffy playfully countered.

Buffy had grown silent, tentatively staring out the large glass windows of the establishment. She was in her own Buffyworld, the gears probably turning in her head. Spike cleaned off his second plate of the morning, pushing it to the side of the table so Pam could take it to the back to be cleaned. He was hoping that from her position she couldn't see her mystery vehicle that was apparently monitoring their morning together. If those pip-squeaks ruined this rare time he was having with Buffy, he would surely make them pay for it. There was only one way to find out what she was concentrating on.

“I can never figure what’s swirlin’ ‘round in that noggin of yours.”

She continued to look out the window, “I was just thinking how we’ve both died. But we both have, sort of, a second turn at living. Starting a life like new.” She turned back to him, curiosity strong in her features, “What did you do? Like when you were alive, before you were a vampire, what did you do for fun?”

“Oh no. We’re not goin’ there.” Spike dismissed her question as he stood up, tossing money onto the table top. “No need to get your knickers in a twist over it either.”

“You’re lucky I drank too much juice,” she raised from the booth, “When I get back from the bathroom, I’ll prod till you spill.”

“Hurry along then,” he watched as Buffy disappeared into the women’s room, completely out of sight, before walking over to the pay phone hanging on the wall.

Across the street and slightly around the blocks corner, still sat the black van that had been sitting there upon entering the restaurant. Because Buffy had informed Spike about the group of geeks and the mysterious van that would pop up everywhere she was for the past months, he knew it had to be their vehicle. She had also told him of the Nerd Crew’s intent on making her life even harder. He didn’t really give a shit about them, but this seemed like the opportune moment to rid these blokes for Buffy’s sake.

The phone rang twice before a young lady’s voice answered, “Sunnydale Police Department.”

“There’s a black van, three men inside, same ones you’ve been on the search for, responsible for the theft at the museum and bank robbery, sittin’ at Broadway and Market.” Just as the Slayer came walking out, he hung the phone on the receiver.

“Okay, start talking.”

He slid his fingers around her palm, “Come,” leading her out the back through the kitchen.

This wasn’t the way out most customers would use, so she was a bit confused, but let him lead her along. “Where are we going?”

“You wanted to know what I did.”

****

There was no sense in telling Buffy of what he’d just done because once she learned of the Trio’s location, she’d head straight for them and they would high tail it back into hiding the second she posed a threat. Spike had known Warren and the rest of the clan had been the ones who pulled off the nicking-diamond and freezing-guard bit since he paid them a visit to test the working status on his chip. Besides identifying their scents as the same ones at the museum, the stolen diamond was sitting out in the open on the card table in their ridiculous basement layer when he came waltzing in. As far as the bank robbery, any person with an IQ would put two and two together. What he didn’t understand was why the Scooby gang hadn’t figured this all out by now, or at least call the authorities on them for stalking Buffy. They were just a few pathetic boys, not in any way a force of evil that she needed to waste Slayer time on. In cases like these, it was best to just let the justice system take over their nuisances.
Chapter 10 by Hostile17
Author's Notes:
The poem in this chapter is Lord Byron's, She Walks In Beauty. I own nothing and I'm not creative enough to even write a poem!
Chapter 10


It's hard to imagine what the generations in the past would do to fill the time, or even what was socially accepted for that period. People at the age of 50 who share their childhood stories make it sound like they grew up in an alternate land because it's so different from today. Buffy remembered when she would listen to her mom talk of life in high school, and it always gave her the impression of "the olden days." Comprehending what it was like living in this world 40 to 50 years ago was strange enough, but over 120 years?

This wasn't the first time she'd wondered about the past; in fact, she would inquire about Angel's first years when they were together because she was genuinely interested. Although, he would never talk about anything unless it involved his pain and suffering of trying to cope with his curse, or telling her what he thought she should do for her benefit. Buffy knew it was a touchy subject for Spike after he had shared part of Williams’s heart breaking experience with her at The Bronze last year. Which is why she didn’t want to push and make him relive what he may have worked hard to forget?

For that reason, Buffy wasn't sure if by asking what he constituted as fun in the late 1800's had made him angry. So far she hadn't heard a peep from him since leaving awkwardly out the back of the diner. She also wanted to ask why he was acting like a member of the government and being so secretive, but obviously now wouldn't be the best time to bring up last night's encounter and the spying of said encounter. He wasn't acting any less Spike like, so maybe there truly wasn't anything to worry over.

****

Spike had finally stopped their journey, and now Buffy was standing in a small park, that only they were occupying, while he stood observing a large flower garden. The space before them was filled with bright yellows, vibrant purples, and striking reds all perfectly mapped out to compliment each other. Every plant was healthy and abundant with blossoms, giving off a rich fragrance that filled the air.

“They’re beautiful. Wait. Did you enjoy working in the garden?” Buffy guessed since he kept looking over the splash of colors.

He spun around as if appalled by her insinuation, “God no. We had servants who toiled over the landscape. You’d never find me dirtyin’ my hands.”

Putting her hands in the air like a gun was pointed at her, “Okay. Okay. Rich family. Check.”

“Well yea, Mother an’ I we’re well off, so b’tween taking care of her,” Spike raised his arms, putting his hands out, “I did this.”

Buffy searched the grounds again, trying to realize what he meant, “This.”

“Go to parks n’ other spacious outdoor areas to...,” he took a deep breath, frowning at himself. Jus’ get on with it. “To work.” Oh yeah, real descriptive on that one, you sod.

She stood, waiting for him clarify, “To work?”

“To work...,” taking a moment to roll his eyes, as if he was pushing himself to proceed, “On my verses.”

Putting her mind at work, squinting as she tried to understand. Within a matter of seconds the corners of her mouth lifted, “Like poetry? You wrote poetry?”

His face hardened, “If you bloody well poke fun-”

“No, no it suits you. You’ve always had that lover’s outlook and wisdom thing going for you.”

“Oh?” Standing up straighter and throwing his shoulders back some, “I mean, yeah. Right. I do.”

Continuing to boost his confidence, “Just because you write poetry doesn’t mean you’re any less of a man.”

“Exactly.” Spike began nodding his head in agreement.

“It just means, you’re not as badass.”

“Precisely.” Then it hit him, like a father’s hand. “Oi!”

Buffy smiled coyly at him, “Just kidding.”

Catching her in a deadly, but mischievous glare, “Better watch it Slayer.” He slid off his leather duster, laying it open on the grass like a blanket for picnics. “Here now.”

Taking her spot on the coat, “What made you get into writing? Was that just the norm for rich English families?” Buffy was pleased Spike was able to trust and confide in her with his story and passion for poetry. All it took was simply asking, and was glad she did.

“Poetry’s been ‘round quite sometime luv. The kicker ‘s jus’ that I wasn’t known for mine.”

“What do you mean?”

“William the Bloody? ’S not because I rammed railroad spikes through my victim’s craniums, was cause; I was bloody awful at my compositions.” Talking about this only angered him, but he satisfyingly added, “Ironic enough, I only shoved those spikes in those wankers who talked bad on me work.”

Buffy, always the smart-aleck, had to let it out, “Gee, just what they deserved.”

Winning her over with horrifying tales probably wouldn’t have worked anyway, so he carried on. “I read the ballads of many, but there was one that simply inspired me. I became fixated on writing. Any moment alone, I’d be scribblin’ away, tryin’ to create my own magnificent piece.” Recalling those memories was something he tried not to visit often, and he feared letting them slip to Buffy, but her sincere interest helped to dissolve his reluctance.

She wanted to hear more from him, but the bleached blond seemed engrossed in the crystal sky above. Just as she was about to implore for more, he moved toward the flowers, looking away from her as if bashful. A slew of words began pouring from his lips, in a refined accent which she imagined a prince would have.

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow’d to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair’d the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.”


Perhaps it was the setting, or the way it flowed when he recited it, but if it was possible to literally have your breath taken away, Buffy's had been stolen. “Wow.” Okay, her response may have been lame, but she was completely mesmerized.

Rotating slowly to face the sitting lady, “Lord Byron’s, ‘She Walks In Beauty.’ It was the first to justly motivate me to try my own hand in creating scripture. I didn’t reckon I’d bollocks it up so bloody badly.”

"So does the Big Bad still write?" There was a gleam of eagerness in her eye as she looked up at him.

Spike’s scarred brow shot up, “An that will be another day.”

Everything was going perfectly, and best of all, Buffy didn’t suspect a thing. He would be able to put a cap on this ‘past coming to bite him’ problem without the girl even finding out. So far, all was under control, but he would have to think of a clever plan that takes Colton out of the picture, protects Buffy, and keeps himself in the clear. There was some major thinking to be had, especially because his childe’s own disposition was highly detailed, but even more so, extremely motivated. When they had the chat in the alley, Colton had revealed why Sunnydale was his new vacation spot and what he was trying to accomplish, allowing Spike to set him up without realizing it.

****

It all started when Spike became obsessed with taking the life of The Chosen One. In the beginning, Colt would follow Spike, learning to adjust to this new life, but it quickly grew into a twisted idolization of his maker. He began imitating William the Bloody’s kill and style, always wanting an appraisal, like cats try to please their master with dead birds. At the time, William was rather pleased he could have this effect on somebody. It felt good to have someone look up to his strengths instead of looking down upon his flaws. Around that time is when the more than cocky attitude he adopted started to shine. The two would rip apart the town’s people they came across, reveling in every minute of the gruesome show. He changed his name from what Mother had given him to something more menacing, something more deserving of the reputation he was working hard to establish. With Drusilla in his arms and Colton at his beck and call, even Angelus couldn’t ruin his high because Spike was the king in his own little world that was, until it all began spiraling down the metaphorical drain.

Angelus. The ponce. He was the one to blame for everything. He was the one that couldn’t stand not getting attention. He was the one that introduced a legend as a scare tactic. The Slayer. With a new found fixation, Colt felt the need to further his efforts to please, and soon after he started to get jealous that his sire was no longer treating him like a student or friend, but instead like a servant. If Angelus would have just let them be, Spike wouldn’t of had to evade the resentful lunatic. Every once in a while, Colton would pop up where the Order of Aurelius would be currently taking advantage, and have a somewhat spiteful attitude, but mostly would attempt to rekindle his favoritism. This time was no different.

Knowing his old time friend was in Sunnydale, home of the Hellmouth, and that there was a Slayer in the mix, Colton had come with one intention. As legend would have it, only once has a Slayer been turned throughout history, bringing forth a new demonic breed. It was common law among vampires that one does not sire The Chosen One if given the chance. There had never been questions or defying pursuits, it just simply was known. Being a spectator of the Slayer of Slayers’ career, Colton had researched this myth for years, with hopes to finally gain the wanted attention and respect from William. From what Colt had gathered, efforts to turn a Slayer were risky because once risen; she would become impervious to most harm.

Sunlight, holy water, crosses, and stakes were useless against her, and because demon aura was already living inside her, once combined with the vampire’s, the strength and agility was said to double. The books told of how this new variety was one of the most dangerous to walk this dimension. Not only was she surging with power and impeccable skill, but her soul was still intact. Documents reported that the malicious side and evil tendencies over powered any human decency left in her. She rid entire villages of all things, evil and human. Within the first year she went mad from the pain and torture as the soul she still bears ate away at her. The Watchers Council deployed their best assailants to contain the outrage, which after many lives lost, they were able to secure and restrain her with much struggle. Those who claimed to be witnesses said they had watched a young woman be dismembered and fed to the wild dogs that roamed the towns, and it was believed that the girl was the one causing mayhem throughout local communities. There were also innuendos referencing that the turned Slayer was placed in a hidden location with heavy security, forced to exist in isolation, never to be released in order to ensure no return from the monstrosity that was born.

Few know of this treacherous history, as The Watchers Council had gone to great lengths to keep it veiled, but after years of chasing leads and gathering information, Colt was satisfied he had a way to maintain the situation to his liking. He wasn’t the one who would alter history though. No, that honor was for one vampire to have. He would make sure he was the vamp to hand the tribute to the one deserving. William the Bloody could never forget him.
Chapter 11 by Hostile17
Chapter 11


People change, that's not a secret. What’s surprising was the fact Spike was not a person when he knew him. He was aware his sire was in this God forsaken town, but the fact he was human now is what gave him pause. William seemed interested enough in his offer, and their plan was already in motion, so why was it something didn't feel quite right?

"It just feels like all we are doing is waiting, Boss," Jake pointed out nervously as he tossed the dead weight of his meal to the ground. "How do we know if this guy will hold up his end?"

Colton may have some doubts and worries, but if anyone would voice them, he'd be the one. "Jacob, make yourself useful, will you?" He suggested tiredly from his spot in an arm chair sitting in the corner.

"I was just saying. If you say to wait, then..."

"Then you'll wait. William does not fail, especially when it comes to Slayers."

"I guess, but he's not even a vampire. He's just a measly human.”

Gaining an edge to his voice, “Have you not been listening?”

Colt’s mood really could turn on a dime. “I was. And I get it. We wait for him to get closer to the Slayer, you turn him back to a vamp, and he sires her into the ultra mega vampire of all time. But if you ask me, he just wants to get laid. That’s why were sitting here doing nothing.”

At the drop of a hat, Colton shot up, wrapping his fingers around Jake’s throat, harshly grounding out, “I did not ask you. Learn your place. I have talked everything over with my old friend, and as of now, we wait. Do you understand?!” All Jacob could do was nod his head restrictively in response, before being released and thrown to the ground. “Another item of interest that needs to be addressed...” The elder vampire took a moment to compose himself, straightening his shirt out of wrinkles, “We know he is not completely human, which is why he wants this as much as us. Evil always prevails.”

****

Romantic comedies were never her favorite, mostly because they were so far from the truth, but today she felt like she was playing a part in one. Absolutely everything that happened was of the cute and sappy sort, but she just couldn’t help but smile as she thought of their day together. They had walked back to Revello Drive, but she hated the feeling growing in the pit of her stomach at the prospect that it was going to end once she opened the door.

Before she could stop, she found herself blurting out words that were supposed to stay in her Buffy brain. “Do you wanna come in?”

A simple nod and Buffy’s shaking hand was fumbling with the door lock. She stepped aside once it was open allowing him entrance. With Spike behind her, she slowly shut the door, pushing on it with open palms and using the few seconds to gather herself. A strong hand at her shoulder spun her around quickly, her back pushed at the door as the taste of cigarettes and the smell of leather filled her senses. His mouth devoured her, his tongue caressed her, and his hips were grinding into her at a frenzied pace. She was lost. His kisses never skipped a beat as he brought his hands to her body, as if searching for something, rubbing them down her back to her thighs. Buffy groaned into his mouth, using her teeth to pull at his bottom lip.

Spike brushed kisses lightly down her jaw line and neck, sighing between rugged breaths, “God, Buffy. I want you so bloody badly.” Nipping at her skin, “Need you.”

"Mmm...," her small hands grappled at his leather clad back, finally moving to his shoulders and pushing the coat off. Spike shed it the rest of the way as it slid down his arms to the rug beneath them. With Buffy's hands clasped around his neck, he lifted her thighs around his waist. She fit so well with his body.

Pulling away, and looking at her with a small smile, "You're perfect."

After flashing a grin, her lips crashed into his like a storm, exploring every inch of him with her tongue. As their mouths battled, Spike carried his Slayer into the living room, playfully tossing her onto the couch.

He joined in a matter of seconds, “Ooo... comfy.”

“Couches are great like that, all springy and everything.” Through her harsh breaths, "Thought you wanted to take things slow," Buffy pointed out.

As he prowled up the length of her body on his fists, he shook his head, "Never mind me luv. I'm not that bright." He pressed his lips to her flat, toned stomach, his right hand slid up her side, palming her breast. Spike continued his journey upwards, "Don' know what I was thinking."

In the recess of her mind, she knew exactly what he had been thinking with that lousy excuse, but for some reason calling him out on it didn't seem so important at the moment. The only thing she could do was throw her head back and moan at the way his mouth played with her nipples through the fabric. The heat had been building slowly, but now she was on fire.

The hand at her chest had made its way to her waist, outlining the zipper of her jeans. First, he rubbed slowly over her mound, applying the right amount of pressure to her fully dressed pussy and receiving a loud gasp for his efforts. Making quick work of her top, which revealed a pink striped bra with black lace, he couldn’t resist giving more attention to her neglected chest with his working mouth. Long fingers slid under the waistband of her jeans. The small noises she made drove him crazy and his erection wild.

The thin cloth at the crotch of her panties were soaked from her juices already, but by the way he kept stroking at her lips and brushing his thumb over her clit, she would have sworn there was a river between her legs. Since there were sleeping people upstairs, it took all her will not to scream out of frustration from the cloth barrier keeping him at bay. Buffy’s nails raked through his platinum locks, “Guh... Spike, please.”

"Please what?" Spike asked innocently.

"I need you. Please," Buffy pleaded, trying to slow her breaths while tugging him up her body for a sweet kiss.

Buffy quickly undid her pants, arching upwards so she could slide them off. As for Spike, he leaned back, enjoying the show. When she reached to slip off her panties, a devilish smirk wiped over his face as he shoed her hands away, "Allow me." Slipping his index fingers under the band to shimmy it down and off, tossing it to the floor. Spike licked at his lips, “There are some things a bloke can never tire of.”

Buffy’s skin was flushed with a pretty shade of pink, “I can live with that.” His hands went under her waist and pulled her up some so she was closer before delving in. She gasped when he teased with his tongue by circling her clit. Two of his fingers joined, slowly tracing her pussy lips. First, he eased one in, testing her readiness before sinking in a second and pumping. He kept his mouth busy by flicking the tiny pearl back and forth and skimming it with his teeth. Buffy had her head pressed into the couch cushions, trying to control herself, but her body’s senses were on overload. The smooth slow strokes of his fingers gliding in and out combined with the rapid play of her bundle of nerves was enough to make her go insane. She needed more.

When he added another digit, she bucked under his mouth, so he sped up his pace and sucked harder. She was so slick and warm he couldn’t help but have a taste. Pulling out his fingers, he redirected their attention to her swollen pearl as his tongue lapped at her. “Delicious, you are.”

The Slayer’s moans and grunts had been held back by her own hand, but when Spikes slippery thumb and index gave her a pinch, she cried out. She panted roughly as his tongue pushed demandingly along her walls. She wasn’t going to last, but if she wanted to, she needed him inside her. “Spike, ooh... I want you... mmm... inside.” Buffy pulled at his chin, staring at him with wide eyes, “Now.”

Spike could only nod in agreement as he licked off her honey. She had already begun undoing and pulling at his pants, sliding them halfway down his thigh, freeing his aching cock.

Granted, Buffy had only slept with three men before Spike, but he was by far the best sex partner she's had and the largest. Every time with him was something new, different, thrilling, and always satisfying. The way he worshiped her body, and the pleasure that came from it, was something she'd never experienced in her previous relationships, therefore didn't know what she was missing out on.

"So good, Buffy... so tight...," Spike murmured into her shoulder as he pumped harder, slamming himself deeper with each thrust.

Only Spike had been the one to strike that spot at that certain angle, “Oh my God!” It felt like she was going to explode, however, she didn’t want it to stop either. Dragging her nails across his back as they rocked together, “Spike... I can’t...”

Giving her an intense love filled kiss, “Close, aren’t you baby?” All he received was a frantic nod, as the only sound that he heard were their bodies smacking together. Each time he sunk back into her warmth, was like replaying the best moment of his life. She was so close to the edge, all he needed to do was push her over, and then he could follow.

Spike snaked a hand between their bodies, massaging her clit with enthusiasm. Each thrust of his hips was met by her own with even more force. A few more flicks of her sensitive bundle of nerves had her cumming hard. She held Spike tightly, her nails digging into his back. When her Slayer muscles clamped down on him, he gasped, shuddering as ecstasy overcame him. The roll of his hips slowed as he kissed Buffy’s shoulder lightly, allowing them both to recover.

Relaxing, Buffy laid her head back, her breathing slowed as her fingers stroked his mussed hair while he rested his cheek on her chest. “That was... good. Real good.”

“Mmm... yeah,” he agreed softly before slowly sliding out of her sweet bliss, pushing himself up on his arms. Quietly they both searched for lost articles of clothing. As Buffy slid on her panties, Spike was zipping up his jeans, looking for his black tee. Finally, he spotted it on a cute blond next to him. God, if she wasn’t a vision, and seeing her in his shirt was making him want to have her all over again. He grinned while moving slowly towards her, as if on the prowl, “I’ve never seen that shirt look so good.”

Acting innocent with a small smirk, “Oh? Think I do it justice?”

Hovering his lips before hers, “An’ then some luv.” Tonight was going to be a long night if she didn’t stop looking so scrumptious.
Chapter 12 by Hostile17
Chapter 12


Mornings are never a happy time for teenagers, as it seems to be socially accepted throughout the world. It was nearly 7:30 in the morning and no matter how hard she tried, Dawn couldn't fall back asleep. By the time she got to bed the night before, Buffy had still not come home. It must be a busy time for the Slaying business because she hadn't seen her for nearly two days. A peek into her sister’s room confirmed she had not come home at all last night. It was normal for the people in the Summers household to not bump into one another because of the unmixy schedules, but for Buffy not to check in was worrisome for the younger sister.

The soft sound of feet padding down the hall made Dawn spin around quickly, in hopes that it was Buffy just getting in after long hours of kicking evil ass. "Buffy?" Wrong. "Oh, sorry Willow, I thought you were Buffy."

The red head gave silent 'good morning' by waggling her fingers and adding a soft sleepy smile. "Nope," she shook her head.

"Has she checked in with you? She didn't come home last night, her beds untouched. We might have to gather the Scooby Search Party, I'll call Xander."

"Before we jump the gun, let’s see if she left a message, or a smoke signal," Willow proposed before letting out a big yawn.

Lately things between the Slayer and her little sister had been filled to the brim with family dysfunctions, but in a tiny way, Dawn thought the tension between them was starting to waiver. With Buffy not around so much, it was easy to miss her, but the greater sister-good in Dawn was concerned. Willow had a better suggestion, a much more logical one, and then her over reaction plan of a search party, but that’s what panic will do to you.

“So, had some oogly-booglies visit last night?” Willow asked as they descended the stairs.

Scrunching her nose, “Huh?”

The Witch stopped halfway down to turn back at Dawn. Willow should have known non-straight forward questions were strictly forbidden when asking sleep deprived teenagers in the early morning. “Last night? I heard screams, figured your dreams weren’t being nice.”

“Not me, I was out like a light all night until this morning.”

It had been late at night while semi-sleeping that Willow had heard the noises, so maybe her mind was playing tricks on her. Wouldn’t be the first time she thought she heard something, but turned out to be nothing. “Maybe I was dreaming.”

The two girls were making their way to the kitchen through the dining room to check for any messages left by Buffy. “Yeah, or maybe someone was being attacked by monsters.” They both laughed for brief seconds, until their heads processed the statement. “That would have been funny... If we didn’t live in Sunnydale, and monsters weren’t real,” Dawn added quickly, trying to salvage what was left of her joke.

“Probably, but then we wouldn’t have that awkward silence that followed.”

“True. I’m gonna look on the desk in the living room, sometimes she leaves notes there.” Including a cheerful expression, “And if we’re lucky, money for pizza!”

Willow searched the counter tops, refrigerator doors, and the answering machine, but without any success. There was nothing from Buffy. Times like these are when cell phones would be handy. With all the running around her best friend did, she always wondered why a mobile phone wasn’t on her list of things to get. She walked through the small hall, into the back of the living room where Dawn was frozen in her tracks.

The young girl never looked back as she voiced her victory. “Found her.” Her voice was shy, uncomfortable like.

After following Dawn’s blatant stare, anything she was about to say vanished from her tongue. Immediately Willows hand shot out, covering the younger ones eyes, as there was enough bare skin to be considered for an adult magazine. For the most part it was Buffy’s body on display, but there was defiantly someone else next to her, buried in the sofa, with their back end fully visible. This was so unlike Buffy to just bring home a guy, especially in her own family room. Willow supposed her friend had been through a lot and maybe she had her own reasons, but this was radical behavior. “That’s not something we should be looking at.”

Even though Dawn was annoyed for being treated like a child, yet again, she didn’t try fighting the Witch on this one. Seeing her sister half naked on the couch with some half naked guy was not something her poor eyes should have endured. “Then why are you still looking?”

“Because I... I’m older... and well frankly my eyes won’t stop,” she stammered trying to think of a clever answer as to why she was still gazing at the scene in front of her.

When people are even the slightest bit older than you, they always act superior, but that had to have been the worst explanation in the history of all things explanatory. "Oh, right... because you're older. Number one reason to get away doing anything." Although Dawn rolled her eyes, it went unnoticed due to the fact Willow had her hand clamped over them.

****

There is always that short period of time when your body is trying to wake up and adjust, where reality merges with the surreal dream state. She found it strange she was having a dream about her sister and best friend staring at her naked. Usually when she had fully exposed nudity dreams they involved making a total fool of herself while trying to slay a baddie, or that one incredibly embarrassing moment with Oz in the school basement. A few seconds was all it took to distinguish fiction from, well, non. The drowsiness disappeared the moment her eyes opened and she became completely aware of the actuality of them standing on the other side of the room. Holding the first piece of clothing she found to her chest, she shot upright, a deer caught in headlights look, like she was frightened, “Guys.” What else was there to say?

Undoubtedly, Willow wanted nothing more than to apologize, but when she spotted the ruffled bleached blond hairs poking out from behind Buffy's back, the only words that made it from her brain to her mouth were, "Spike?!"

“What?” It wasn’t a question as much as it was plain interest laced with enthusiasm. Dawn always did have a crush on the Big Bad. He was always so suave and carried himself with that cocky swagger. Not to mention the sex appeal which completely redefined ‘good looking’ in her book. To top everything off, the most passion she’d ever noticed about any individual was decimated by his devotion. So maybe it wasn’t the brightest decision she’s ever made, but if catching a peek at Spike’s body meant a small unwanted look of her sister... it was so worth it. Reasoning or not, Willows’ arm was batted away hastily before anyone had the chance to cover up.

****

With all the ruckus going on, how was a man supposed to get any decent sleep? With being utterly knackered from the night before, he chose the bold move of bolting up to confront whatever was so insistent on disrupting his morning shut eye, but instead he found himself in a bashful retreat. Luckily his lower goods were safely tucked away and out of sight, thanks to the Slayer sitting in front of him. While Spike wasn’t known for his modest behavior, he doubted he could ever look at Buffy’s little sis, without feeling dirty, if she got a full on birthday suit view. Be casual. Its jus’ the Bit and Witch. “Mornin’ Nibblet. Red.” Neither offered a reply, just an awkward forced smile.

Mortified couldn’t begin to cover her feelings. Add on humiliated, petrified, and ridiculed, and it still didn’t come close. She was just caught in-sofa with a guy. A used-to-be-killer-vampire-evil-arch-enemy guy. Oh boy. “There’s probably an explanation deserved right about now, huh?” The people in the room seemed to have trouble speaking because again no one had said a word thus far. Under the circumstances, silence wasn’t golden, and since the only sound was emanating from the chirping birds outside, Buffy continued. “I have something-”

“We,” silly girl still didn't understand he would always stand by her side, “have somethin’.”

“We.” His notion brought a soft smile to her lips, “We have something to share. But first, can we get dressed?”

After a moment to realize that was their cue to leave the pair in privacy, a unison, “Oh...yeah,” tumbled from the girls as they rushed into the kitchen in an anxious manner.

****

The minute their company disappeared around the corner, Buffy bustled around to cover herself in clothes of some sort. Spike had a much more leisurely approach, slipping each leg into his jeans without hurry as he watched her flutter around. Don’ be pushin’ her mate. “Buffy... Luv, after such a bollocks scene, you're not feeling regret are you?” Don’ push? You might as well of shoved her to the bloody ground.

Without pausing she offered an generic ‘yeah-huh’, cluing him in that she wasn’t listening, but in fact thinking of all the ramifications this situation had in store. The thing he never understood about the Slayer was how she thought so much of her friends and what they thought. Buffy is always there for them, saving their hides and doing everything in her power to protect them, but yet she feels to need to always please them? Her mates are the true reason she holds back so much. Because if they don’t approve, heaven forbid she does something for her own happiness for once. If anything, Buffy’s pals should be scrambling to please her, not the other way around.

She had just slid on the last article of clothing on and started walking to the kitchen when he grabbed her hand, pulling her to a halt. Before proceeding further, Spike took stage in front of her. Holding onto both of her shoulders, “Buffy.”

With the slightest hint of sarcasm, “Spike.”

He cocked his head, narrowing his eyes, “I mean wha’ I said. We go in there, and we tell them. Together. I know I might not be the catch they were wantin’ for you, but they will understand and have to accept it. Even Harris will come around eventually. It’s up to you if you even want-”

“I do- I want to.”

“Tell them?”

“Be with you.”

A seducing goddess whose looks could steal the breathe from a man couldn’t offer whispers of anything more rewarding. There were no sweeter words than to hear his girl say that. And it wasn’t a promise but real. Honest and real.

“It’s just hard. This wasn’t how I pictured telling them. There was less nudity in my picture, and more understanding.”

“Weird. My picture had nudity of all sorts.” She elicited a tiny laugh at his teasing, but he needed to leave her with a strong mind. “You do whatever you feel.”

As if to make a silent statement, she took hold of the hand at her shoulder, gripping it tight. “We are.”
Chapter 13 by Hostile17
Chapter 13


"Hi." It was meek, she knew, but her nerves had the best of her.

"Willow. Wha-what are you doing h-here?"

"Well I thought maybe you could help with research of the magical nature. Since I haven't done anything remotely witch like and don't plan to either... here I am."

Tara stood in the doorway, playing nervously with her sleeves. "You need m-me to help with research?" It was a question filled with skepticism.

"You were always better at the deep-understanding of spells."

"You did a spell?" Tara was always gentle and kind, but when it came to things she cared about, she was never more stern.

"No! I made a potion... Well that sounded incriminating... But entirely with science, the plain old scientific non-wiccan way of pouring and mixing."

Tara’s features had relief written all over them. “That’s good. I’m happy for you Will.” They shared a smile before she invited her ex-girlfriend inside. “Is everyone okay? Is Dawnie...?”

“Fine. Everyone is fine. Actually, it’s Spike. I don’t know how exactly it happened, but he’s not a vampire anymore. The only thing he said was out of the ordinary was the potion I gave him.”

If confusion had a patented look, she was wearing it. “He’s human? W-what potion?”

Out of excitement Willow couldn’t help herself, and at a mile a minute she unloaded it all. “Oh! And Dawn and I walked in the living room and saw Buffy and him after a night of romping.” Okay, so she had to tell somebody, even if it was irrelevant to the situation of finding out why the vampire had a working heart. Except Tara didn’t look very shocked... Why wasn’t she shocked?

“Th-they were in the house?”

“Yep... Say, why don’t you look surprised Buffy and Spike are together?”

Her cheeks were blushing. Willow knew that was her ‘tell’ when she was feeling shy and anxious. “T-t-together? I thought they were j-just...”

“You knew? How?”

“Buffy. She asked me to look into the resurrection spell you did, a-and it slipped out.”

“It’s been happening? The romps? I’m her best friend... Why didn’t she tell me?” It hurt when somebody doesn’t trust you with an important secret, but Willow felt terrible that, as her best friend, didn’t know anything happening in her life.

“Buffy’s been through a lot. She didn’t even mean to tell me; b-but they’re an item now?”

“I guess. They told us what happened this morning.”

Tara nodded, “So, what did happen exactly?”

Despite having her feelings hurt over the entire matter, Willow put them aside to relay the whole story. She told Tara of the demon that started it all, and how it made Buffy think she was crazy. More importantly she told why Spike had to drink the potion in the first place, as to why they think that was the cause of his transformation. With the full story in hand the blond witch agreed to help determine the reason Spike had such a reaction to the antidote and if there could be any unforeseen side-effects. This sort of case wasn’t heard of on a regular basis so it intrigued Tara, and of course if she could help her friends, she gladly would. Having quality time with the girl she loved was a bonus.

****

The past few days had been filled with numerous revelations that Buffy thought could have stretched for an entire month and still could have done without. She was mentally unstable, Spike was human after being dead for over one hundred years, her new-found relationship had been outed -in the most embarrassing of ways- she had to go through the dreaded explanation of it all, and it seemed Willow and Tara were well on their way to getting back together.

Although, she couldn’t be happier for her two friends because last she saw, the couple looked extremely cozy working side by side at the dining room table, but she knew they still had a ways to go before getting back into a relationship. Once she and Spike had a very long talk with Dawn and Willow, he made up another phony excuse in order to leave, saying there was some business he needed to attend to. Before she had a chance to demand answers for his shady attitude, Dawn pounced on the opportune moment, suggesting they spend their free time together for some quality sister bonding. While her best friend was with Tara tackling the books and her boyfriend- Wait. Was William the Bloody her boyfriend? This day was so strange.- was off ‘taking care of business’, Dawn and Buffy spent the day talking, eating, and movie watching. Soon, the sun nestled down under the horizon, bringing a blanket of night over the town, presenting the perfect ending to a tension riddled day.

****

Though it would be nice, responsibility and destiny never took a holiday, and as much as she wished, evil didn’t either. Dusk is when scary things came out to play, using nature to their advantage, and hiding behind the mask dark provided. Luckily, the Slayer worked the graveyard shift, hunting the demons that weren’t counting on her presence. Patrol was one of the most peaceful times in her life. It was her alone time, the quiet let her think without having to listen to everyone’s ‘advice’ and pretend to care. Tonight had been slow, so once she dusted her only vampire, it was her thoughts keeping her company.

In a strange way she felt proud of herself. Sure, she has been known to save the world every now and then, but this was different than people commending her on achievements. This was personal. She had stood up against her friends and family for something she truly wanted and gave them no say to try and persuade her. Buffy knew why she had been so brave and what gave her the strength. Without Spike she probably would have crumbled.

Thinking of her rock anchor, there was no harm in dropping by his place since she was already out and about. Well in all honesty, the town was so small that nearly everything was in a reasonable vicinity to her home, but it was easier to justify a visit with a logical excuse. She wandered aimlessly through the scattered pattern of grave stones to kill time, and make sure her passing through was a legit patrol. An unexpected figure ahead seemed to be following the same moon lit path as she and her thoughts of having something fun to do tonight completely altered. It was a man, she could tell. An expensive suit clung to the broad frame, and she could tell he had well groomed brunette hair from her view as she followed inconspicuously from a distance. Something was off. Everything about him seemed suspicious in this setting. Even if she wanted to go on to visit Spike without having to deal with this goon, he was heading in the same direction so they were bound to cross paths.

Finally, it dawned on Buffy that not only were they heading in the same direction, they were heading to the same mausoleum. She could tell this mysterious stranger wasn’t just roaming randomly at midnight. He was on a mission. His fast pace and the way he moved his body in hard turns around the head stones told her he meant business, and whatever his business, it involved Spike.

****

Colt didn’t waste time with manners or pleasantries as he barged into his sire’s quarters, throwing the door open with a bang. “William!” He shouted as he stepped inside, scoping the dark space for his old friend.

Though she kept her distance, she was close enough to hear everything inside. When she became such an eavesdropper she didn’t know, but this was probably the same man she saw Spike with in the alley. Her keen sense of hearing picked up that he was also English and most likely extremely old and pale if he refers to Spike as William. Evidently this guy was angry, for after a moment of silence, she heard a crash, like a lamp being thrown into the concrete wall. It was obvious Spike wasn’t there, due to the lack of British curse words and slang. Plus, there were a few candles lit, and Buffy didn’t see anyone else besides the intruder.

“I’m sorry, Spike isn’t here right now, but unluckily for you, I am.” Buffy recited as she stepped into the entrance with her hand on her hips. In the most casual way, Colton turned around with a warm smile gracing his lips, taking a few short steps to stand before her. She couldn’t help but think how visually appealing he was for something she wasn’t suppose to like.

“Ahh, yes. Miss Summers. I should have presumed you’d be here.”

“You know me. Which apparently you do.”

“Well of course. You are rather world renowned, for a Slayer, that is.”

“And you're rather charming, for a blood sucking baddie, that is.”

Unbothered that she knew his descent, “Well, if William happens by, please do tell him I came by.”

“And who would you be?” She questioned, cocking her head to one side.

Again, he put on his charismatic smile, “Just an old mate,” he kindly said as he began to walk past.

Buffy gripped his bicep, not allowing passage, “I don’t think-”

Colton put a stop to her speech by twisting the hand at his arm upwards. The Slayer in Buffy took over and she was done talking. Swinging wildly with her free hand, connecting with Colt’s jaw, she was able to free herself from his wrist lock.

“You remember when I said you had charm? I lied.”

Bringing her foot high to kick him in the chest, she was surprised at his speed. Colton grabbed hold of her leg, slamming her body to the cold pavement of the burial chamber’s floor, knocking the wind out of her. Taking a moment to regain her ability to breathe proved to be a moment too long, for the next second her mystery man had pressed his foot into the crook of her neck, applying a great amount of pressure.

“I assure you I have a great deal of charm. I am also not to be underestimated.”

Breathing was becoming difficult. Whatever her counter move was going to be, she needed to act fast while she was still conscious. So far, trying to pry his foot off seemed impossible, and all she could think was how much this vampire weighed. Buffy needed a new approach so she wriggled free her trusted stake, ready to pierce his calf. Colton caught on, quickly kicking the weapon from her grasp.

Okay, plan B, she thought, then shot her left leg up, the tip of her shoe crushing into the small of his back, finally knocking him off balance. The Slayer rolled to safety and gasped for air as she fought to stand up. Making a fight her own was what she did best, and since her gut was telling her to get out of the confined space of the crypt, then she would. The openness of the cemetery felt best to her, so she made her way outside, knowing her opponent would follow.

She searched the ground for a weapon first because the one she brought was blocked by the over-dressed Englishman. This wasn’t her night, all she found was grass and headstones, and there was nothing of use. Buffy knew her only option was to lure him out further to make a clear passage into Spike‘s so she could get herself armed. Although, without a weapon advantage, they’d have to go hand to hand until she got her chance.

When Colton came out after his target he was rushed with a punch to his head and a jab to his side. He went on the offensive, trying to block the next few hits and kicks she threw, but she still managed to get a few in. This Slayer was definitely good; he had to give her that. Now he had a small understanding as to why William had the obsession that he has over her.

****

With the helpful cover of the fully bloomed bushes, Spike angrily stood in wait, trying to figure his best move. He was on his way back to his place, after spending all day researching the hell out of his new human situation and his worst choice of creation, when he came across The Slayer and Colton in a confrontation. What in God’s name was he suppose to do? He could jump in and try to help his lady, knowing without the strength he had he’d be out in two seconds, plus blow everything with Colt. Or, he could wait it out till Colton got it good, and in case he got away, the plan would still be in motion. Though it wasn’t Buffy’s mistake that made Colt into the creature he is, without a way to defend her or himself, he may have to let her take care of his problem. With a clenched jaw and narrow eyes, he waited and watched her in action as the pair continued with the fisticuff.

****

This was it. Her chance to sneak back in and arm herself so she could end this vamp for good. As she knocked Colton onto his back from the forceful impact of a round-house, she turned, heading for Spike’s, but stopped dead in her tracks. To the side of the graveyard’s foliage stood out an almost white head of hair. It had to be Spike, of course, but why was he standing there? It looked like he was mad as hell, but why wasn’t he by her side instead of watching secretly? Buffy knew the two men knew each other, was this his secret business? To just give her to this fiend? Questions flooded her brain, none of them making sense, but all of them colliding together.

Colt had flipped to a standing position, just as his prey began darting back inside. When he started after her, Buffy stopped, distracted by something or another, and he made her mistake into his beneficial moment. He kicked her from behind so she’d fall face first into the dirt, then picked her up and slammed her head into the nearest headstone. Like a zoned in predator, he repeated his previous action. As he bashed her into the stone for the second time, it broke and crumbled into bits, on which he dropped her.

****

“Come on. Get up Buffy,” Spike roughly murmured out loud as rage threatened to overcome him. Why she had stopped like that in the middle of her retreat, he didn’t understand. It was a split decision, but it was one that didn’t take much thinking. When he noticed Buffy wasn’t moving and his childe was about to strike again, he came barreling out of hidden location.

“You bloody bastard! Wha’ the fuck do you think you’re doin'?!” All he could see was red as he stormed over.

“Oh. William. There you are.” The vampire acted calm, as if there wasn’t even a body lying at his feet.

Once Spike made his way in arms distance, his fist shot out, striking Colton as hard as he could muster. Though it took him aback a bit, its effect was as if Spike had flicked him on the nose. Hitting his sire back would be like beating a parent or elder, so Colton just stood his ground, keeping his hands to himself as he sneered back.

Looking down, Spike could see blood running down the side of Buffy’s face as she lay lifelessly on the pile of rubble. Inside, all he wanted to do was take her in his arms and protect her from any further harm, but outside in the harsh reality, he had Colt to deal with.

“Wha’ the hell did you not understand ‘bout the plan?” God, how he hoped playing this off worked in his favor.

“I came by for you, old chap. Though, as I reflect, it seems so did she,” he wiped at the dirt covering the back of his suit’s sleeve, “I tried not to make it come to this, however, I believe the outcome is our advantage. We can perform the ritual without any disturbances or hassle.”

“An’ what’s the fun for me with out the chase? Spike don’ play unless there’s other puppies. We do it my way or not at all.”

“You know, I’m beginning to think that being human has made you think like one. Even with no soul, you’ve gone soft compared to the master vampire I’ve known you as.”

What’d he just say? “Right... Well soul or no soul, I still like me a challenge. Side’s, The Slayer here likes herself a good rough n’ tumble almost as much as The Big Bad.”

“Even so, don’t you think tonight’s little encounter will put quite a dent in our arrangements?”

“Please. I’ll take her, be her knight in bloody shinin’ armor an’ oh, how she’ll tremble at those dimpled knees when I sink my teeth into her. Jus’ the thought makes my tummy growl. Those wide, helpless eyes... the sight’ll be delicious when I drink my fill an‘kill her once an’ for all.” Though, what he was saying was only to convince Colton, the words spilling from his mouth made Spike ill. He hated having to act like he’d enjoy every moment of killing Buffy, but it was the only way he knew to protect his loved one.

****

She was dizzy, everything around her was blurred, but she could hear voices. It was hard to concentrate on what was being said. The outside world was muffled as she fluttered in and out of consciousness. A few words and small phrases were all she could pick up on because her head was pounding relentlessly against her skull. No soul... Kill... Slayer...
Chapter 14 by Hostile17
Chapter 14


Without much more of an effort to change William's mind, Colton had left, agreeing to stick with the original agreement they had made prior to tonight's unexpected mishap. Needing to stay in character until his old acquaintance left, Spike wasn't able to help Buffy like he truly wanted. Colt had taken his time in leaving the couple alone, and all he could do was roughly pick The Slayer’s body up as they traded snide remarks on how helpless she was. When he was free to do as he pleased, he held Buffy tightly in his embrace during the short walk to the crypt, silently swearing at himself for letting this happen. Buffy getting hurt was exactly what he was trying to avoid by dealing with Colton in the first place. She could have taken him, Spike knew, but for whatever reason he caught her in a vulnerable moment. Now his Slayer was limp in his arms, the trickled blood down her face was starting to dry, matting her golden locks to her cheek, and he was responsible for this mess.

Carefully, Spike took her downstairs to his bedroom, wanting to make her as comfortable as he possibly could. Once they descended to the lower level, he gently laid her down, tucking the top cover around her fragile frame. By pulling her hair back he was able to see the open gash at her temple more clearly. It was an odd coincidence that he was cleaning a cut she received from battle because not a few days ago she was doing the same for him. The only difference he couldn’t tolerate was the fact that he was the liability in this situation.

****

Guilt.

It’s the worst feeling for any individual. It’s like a worm that wriggles inside, eating away all the contents till there is nothing left. Your mind is consumed, at every minute of every hour, with thought of regret. Wishes of reliving, going back to change the outcome, to do things differently. It can make a man go insane if not dealt with. And the entire concept had been forgotten. Being a vampire had certain advantages. Taking life without any mental repercussion is every murderers dream, but when a demon takes over your soul, it becomes reality. Without a conscience, life has endless possibilities. No responsibilities. No shame. No remorse. No self-condemnation.

For how much he cared, seeing Buffy hurt made Spike feel terrible, yes, but was it guilt he was feeling? It’s been so long, he couldn’t hardly remember what a deep hole of disgrace felt like. No. I’m human now. He had to be suffering from the pain guilt caused; it’s why he felt badly over the whole matter. But Colton. What had he mentioned? ...Even without a soul... Could that be? One can’t just be given life without retaining the essence that comes with it, can they? In contrast, demonic entities such as, Colt, carries with them the unique ability to sense and sort out others like himself.

Nothing was making a lick of sense. His thoughts were so muddled from the whirling they kept doing around his head. For the longest time, Spike fought the fact that he had any ounce of compassion for Buffy. When he had come to terms with it, the realization that he loved her with every fiber of his being struck him hard. The question now that didn’t seem to have a rational explanation was how he can love with no soul. As William, he had loved deeply, and that is one inspiration that can not be forgotten, for it is the strongest emotion of them all. He knew it wasn’t just infatuation he had for The Slayer. Maybe he was on the wrong path by trying to find the connection between the two. They were separate dispositions. A conscience was to stop the wrong, but with giving your heart to someone, there is nothing more right. Maybe none of it mattered after all. Even if his head couldn’t grasp the logic, his heart did.

****

The bruising was already starting to form. Purple, green, and yellow marred the skin surrounding the laceration at her temple and at the base of her neck where her air supply had been cut off. Despite the flaws, Spike thought she was still as gorgeous as ever and as he tended to Buffy in the downstairs chamber, disinfecting the wound Colton caused, a small smile made its way to the surface. He had new hope and confidence in their relationship after coming to his conclusion that logic never went hand in hand with passion.

Just as he finished putting away the medical supplies, and ready to nestle beside her to keep a watchful eye, she languidly woke. Allowing Buffy to collect herself before talking, he remained silent, waiting for a sign that she was ready. After a few moments though, all she did was stare at him with a furrowed brow.

“How’re you feelin‘, luv?” He asked gently in a soothing tone.

“Like someone tossed me around like a chew toy.” She slowly sat up, lightly touching her forehead, wincing slightly at the pressure. “I can’t believe I let that...” Buffy’s words trailed off as her incoherent memories flashed behind her minds eye. Spike was there, talking to him, but she couldn’t remember what- ...No soul... Kill... Slayer...

****

“Pinocchio!”

Abruptly lifting his head off the pages of the opened book in front of him, “Who? What?!” Xander exclaimed, startled by the rude awakening.

“Pinocchio!” Willow repeated, with just as much enthusiasm.

Tara looked up from her text, “What’s a Pinocchio Will?”

“Spike.”

Xander raised a brow, looking at Tara for more of an elaboration, but she simply shook her head. “Okay. I’ll bite. Spike’s a wooden doll controlled by strings?”

The red head rolled her eyes, “No.”

“Well let it out. The suspense is killing us,” he noted sarcastically.

"I mean, the antidote made him real, like Pinocchio.”

“That’s what we’ve been researching? I thought we already knew that. Which, by the way, still having a hard time believing it.”

“I’m sure Willow h-had a point... Right?” Tara chimed in, looking at her with expectancy.

“Well, yeah. See, when Buffy was sick, I stirred up a pretty general potion to make her better. The things in her head were all mashed up into crazy soup and she couldn’t tell what was fiction or reality. What I gave her was to make our dimension real to her again. I think that because Spike wasn’t affected by the demon’s poison, the antidote worked in the literal sense of making him real.”

“Like Pinocchio...,” Tara assisted Willow, for Xander to better understand.

Xander nodded his head, “Okay, but again, we already knew this right? The Spike being real thing. So, why am I up past my bed-time?

Willow let out an exhausted huff so Tara took over the clarity department. “But we didn’t know why he changed before. Now we can research the potential meaning. If it’s j-just temporary or it there’s any consequences to worry about.”

Adding on to what Tara just offered Willow took her turn at the table, “Which, from what I can tell- There is none.” She put on a bright smile, “Spike’s a real boy, no strings attached.”

“So that’s good then, he can actually die when I beat him down for putting the whammy on Buffy.”

“Xander...,” Willow said tiredly. “There is no whammy.”

“Then how are they the new happy couple in town?” He waited a few moments for answers but when he didn’t receive any, he added, “I rest my case.”

Tara exchanged look with the other witch, “I don’t t-think Buffy’s under any spell. What she’s feeling is genuine. And we should respect that.”

“Yeah, we weren’t too fond of Anya when you two started dating, but we sat back and said bupkiss about it,” Willow unhelpfully pointed out.

Growing a bit defensive, Xander shook his head, “That’s different. Anya was-”

“An ex-demon,” his best friend shot back before he could finish, and now he didn’t have any argument.

“Anya slaughtered men, and reaped revenge for centuries as a demon, Xander.” Tara stated, backing up Willow’s conviction.

Unbelievable. The ‘We Love Spike Fan Group’ was doubling teaming him. “Fine. I get it. But it doesn’t mean I have to like it,” he grumbled from his chair “Are we done here then? I’d like to get some shut eye before work today.”

Tara gave a friendly half-smile, “I think we can pack up for the night.”

The researching trio all started to rise when the front door swung open. “Guys?” Buffy’s voice traveled from the foyer with the click of door closing.

Xander’s tone was the first to greet her. “Hey Buff. Just missed out on the exciting, open books and read them party, so start kicking yourself.”

“Well let’s open em’ back up,” Buffy instructed, swiftly moving to an open chair at the side of the table, grabbing a book off the stack. It was a rare moment for her friends because they hardly ever saw The Slayer participating in the book investigation side of the job.

Tara spoke next, “Is everything okay?”

Willow sat back down at the head of table, “Yeah, did something happen on patrol?” It was when Buffy looked up that her wounds became fully visible. “Like say some nasty demon who did that?” She pointed to her head.

Xander clenched his jaw, “Please don’t say it was of the ex-vampire variety, because if he...”

“It wasn’t Spike.” Buffy was serious as she fingered through the text she had. “But we are looking for someone that knows him. He’s tall, handsome, and English.”

“Is he single?” Xander joked, trying to make up for his small outburst moments before, and lighten the mood. All he got was a cold look in return.

“He’s a vampire. I don’t know his name, but he had to be turned around the same time as Spike because he knows him as William. Any questions? Good.” She turned her attention back to the pages.

The other three at the table glanced at one another, almost scared to say anything since Buffy was in such a foul mood, but meekly Willow asked, “Umm... Buffy?”

“What?” She didn’t even look up. “We just need to find out more about him Will.”

“And we are... going to. But that’s a book of potions. Not vampire histories.”

Looking at bit ashamed, The Slayer laid it down, closing the book slowly before answering. “Oh.”
Chapter 15 by Hostile17
Author's Notes:
I stole something Dawn said in Season 7 and threw it in here because I found it rather entertaining! Hope you all enjoy!!
Chapter 15


Friends are supposed to be the type of people where trust shouldn't be a question. Relying on them is to be simple, and easy to do. Getting played by anyone you looked up to is a hard thing to accept. William must think him a fool if he believed his double crossing wasn't painfully obvious. Colton had his doubts and worries, but never could begin to think that they'd become true.

William the Bloody had been feeding him lines ever since he stepped foot in this town. Even when the timing couldn't have been more perfect to execute his long time dream, he had given him yet another excuse, another reason, to prolong the stage of his procreation. Colt was infuriated with his sire's stalling tactics, and sickened by his love for The Slayer.

Unfortunately, Jacob had been correct in his assessment of Spike. He was no longer a vampire, and was not to be trusted as friend or ally. Beyond anything, he wanted to prove his subordinate wrong, and give William the chance for loyalty, but there is a time to say enough. Determination never evolved without action, and now was when the waiting ended.

****

Spike sat alone in the poorly illuminated space of his crypt, nursing a bottle of whiskey he held tight in his grasp. Once Buffy was brought into this mess by his old friend, he was worried. Once Buffy was affected by his mistakes, he was scared. Tonight proved that Colton had grown into a master of his trade. If he was to get his hands on her again, it could very well be fatal. Spike believed he had control of situation and could handle it without The Slayer ever knowing. He was silly if he thought she was that oblivious.

Maybe she didn’t have the full story, but she was gathering her rocks quickly. He could tell by the way she scurried away like a threatened animal when she awoke in his presence. Buffy must have realized Spike’s involvement with Colton. Did she know he was the blokes sire? What was it that spooked her so? He could only make the assumption that she was angry with him for not telling her about Colton in the first place. A few lines about Dawn and having things to take care of, and the lady made her exit.

It was something he tried to avoid, but it seemed as if he was backed into the proverbial corner. Though he hated to admit it, it was time to come clean to Buffy and enlist The Slayers aide. Spike didn’t think there was anything worse than deeming himself weak. However, facing the fact that he was human now, and not nearly as capable in a fight, was what persuaded him into a decision.

****

“Well, well. Thought we were done with these delinquent outbursts of yours.”

Dawn paused, rolling her head back to see Spike leaning against a tree with a lit cigarette dangling from between his lips, peering up at her as she climbed down the lattice beneath her window.

Eyes wide “Spike.” She was a deer caught in the headlights.

He stood his ground until she reached the bottom and hopped onto the grass. "So, where's the small bird off to?"

"To find you."

Those definitely weren’t the words he expected to hear, causing him to push aside the retort he already had in mind. The young girl had her hands planted her hips, something she must've picked up from Big Sis, he wagered. “Me?” What the bugger hell would Dawn be sneaking out to find me for? Buffy. “Dawn,’s she?” I was at the crypt, Colton could’ve... “Where’s Buffy?”

“Buffy’s fine. Well as good as she can be after-” Dawn let her sentence end with a raised brow, seemingly making a point.

Though he was relieved Buffy wasn’t in any harm, he was rather confused still about why Dawn went off to find him. “After wha’...”

“You.”

“Me?” And we’re back to this 'me' nonsense.

Dawn repositioned her weighed onto the other leg, crossing her arms. “I heard her crying in her room tonight. When I went in there to make sure she was alright, I saw the gash on her head. She kept going on about you and how you aren’t what she thought you were.”

This was ludicrous. Girl thinks he did that to Buffy? “Look Dawn, you got your information crossed. I never-”

“She heard you say how you want to kill her.” Spike’s mouth shut as he slowly closed his eyes. “I was coming to let you know that, maybe, I won’t win in a fight with you, but even you sleep. And if you try anything, you’ll wake up on fire.”

God, she was a scary little girl. Dawn wasn’t the one he needed to straighten this out with. He knew now what he had to do. He understood why Buffy left so quickly because she heard them talking. She thought he was going to... How could she possibly believe he would ever hurt her?

“I’d hope you would.” It was all he came up with. There wasn’t any explanation to give. With a slight nod of his head, a flick of his cigarette, he slowly disappeared back into the night of which he came.

****

Rays of sun shined in through the sheer curtains, silently biding Buffy awake. The clock on her night stand read 7:42, and she moaned as she swung her feet to the side of the bed, stretching her arms high, yawning wildly. Though she went to sleep just a few hours ago, Buffy felt awake, energized for the new day. Sleep was only dragging her down. There was this gnawing in her gut that wouldn't stop, and staying in bed was making it worse. Being up at the crack of dawn wouldn’t solve any of her problems, she knew, but it was better to at least try. Filling her time with busy work was the best answer to keep her mind at bay. Besides, the aroma of pancakes and bacon making their way up the stairwell was enough to make her stomach growl.

“Don’t you have school? I thought Xander was going to take you.” Buffy commented as she rounded the kitchen wall.

Dawn gave a half smile while she poured a cup of orange juice, “He is. I guess he’s running late because of the book party last night.”

“We did keep him up pretty late.” Willow put a serving of pancakes on a plate in front of her friend.

"Thanks," she mumbled quickly before reaching for the maple syrup, and drowning her food.

All heads turned towards the door as Xander bustled his way inside, making his grand entrance. “Have you guys read the paper this morning?”

“Not yet, been stirrin’ up some good ole eats for the gang.” Willow was smiling from ear to ear, extremely proud of her morning breakfast making.

Buffy just shrugged, cramming more sugar covered pancakes into her mouth. “I don’t really ever do that.”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you make breakfast... or any meal really. Mom would always say ‘If you want it blackened, call Buffy’.”

“I’ve cooked before! And she did not say that. Don’t you remember Thanksgiving when I made the entire dinner?”

That is your best example?”

Feeling the need to voice her own opinion, Willow chimed in, “I agree with Dawnie, bad example. Everything was pretty ruined after the big Indian battle, and Angel showing up.”

“And have we all forgotten about me having syphilis? Pretty sure that equals, bad day.” Xander laid down a copy of the Sunnydale newspaper onto the counter top of the island. “I’m thinking you guys will get a kick out of today’s front page news.”

Above an enlarged photo of three people getting arrested, read the headline: Criminals at Large, Caught at Last.

“Looks like the Nerd Herd that was messing with Buffy get to be jail bait. Says here that, after an anonymous phone call, police surrounded a parked black van near Market and Broadway. Your mystery van Buff. They put them in a holding cell while they searched their property, and recovered the stolen diamond from the museum, money that was robbed from the bank, and other numerous items.” After he finished speaking, nobody else took a turn and he looked around uncomfortable. “Isn’t that good news? No more ridiculous problems to be caused by these guys.”

“Yeah, it’s good. It’s just, well, it seems to... easy. I’ve been tracking them, and nothing. One secret caller and they’re caught with their pants down?” Buffy skeptically spoke as she looked over the article. “This was right by that little diner off Market...” Something wasn’t adding up. She was there; they must have been following her again. But, who would have called the cops? Spike. He was behaving oddly after she returned from the restroom, could he have been the anonymous caller?

“Yeah, I guess it’s by there. Why?”

“Oh, no reason. I’m glad they were finally caught, but Dawn’s late for school.”

“Right, which is why we are leaving now. Dawnie?”

“All ready. Got my books and pencils, so I can properly learn,” she stated while following Xander out the door to his waiting car.

They were alone, and finally Willow could have some best friend time with Buffy. Since last night when she came trudging through the door, Willow had wanted to ask about what had exactly happened for the Slayer to be injured in battle. She had said it wasn't Spike, but then, if this new baddie knew William the Bloody; why not go straight to the source instead of spending all night going nowhere fast? Were Spike and Buffy not getting along only after a day of being together? This down-right, dirty gossiping was the real reason people had best friends. For, it could always make one feel as if their insignificance would lesson by keeping a shared secret.

It was better to go in slow, make the small talk first. "So, The Trio is no longer making plans to ruin Buffy's day. That's good huh?"

"Yeah, great even. I kin already feel that pain in my ass sorting itself out. I just wish I knew it would have been as easy as calling the police on them."

"I think, always fighting the demonic forces, kinda takes the common sense out of us." They both shared a smile, and in Willows eyes, ice had officially been broken. "So, wanna tell me what happened?"

Buffy looked up, halting her fork's trip to her mouth. "About what?"

"About last night?"

Resume the mound of pancakes to their destination. After taking a moment to chew and swallow, she simply shrugged. "Vamp caught me off guard. Nothing more to tell."

Vanquishing demons, casting spells, taking care of a angsty teenager, all pretty simple things when it comes down to it. Willows own knowledge knew, getting that girl to talk when she didn't want to, one of the hardest things to do.

****

Everything was blurred. All senses the body was capable of seemed in disarray. Even his mind was blending memories with dreams, making it impossible to gain an understanding of what was or had transpired. He felt tired, out of energy, but strong. Powerful. Only one thing made itself clear. One sense taking prominence over all others. Taste. An all too familiar, but somehow welcomed, savor coated his tongue. The dull tang of copper.
Chapter 16 by Hostile17
Author's Notes:
I hope everyone is enjoying this so far! :)
Chapter 16


Apprehension had the best of her. Questions flooded her mind about what had happened in the graveyard, and why certain parties acted as they did. Her thoughts were making it all worse, but they were uncontrollable. Nothing much made sense, but the parts that did were the ones she was scared of. How could the universe keep filling her life with happiness, only to rip it away, time and time again? It was like the Powers That Be enjoyed playing a sick and twisted game with her life. Or maybe it wasn’t The Powers with a demented sense of humor, just fate. Destiny.

Buffy had it burned into her brain, after being preached at for so many years. 'Into each generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. She is The Slayer.' It rang true enough to her ears. She wasn't supposed to have family, friends, or someone to care for. The life she lived had no benefits for her. She strictly existed to save and protect others, no matter the cost.

Either way, there were no choices. This new player in town had an agenda, and not of the good. She had to put all trepidations aside to do her job. And what is square one of her job? Gathering the necessary information from any and all sources, bleached hair or not. I really need a new career path.

****

"I'm just really worried about her."

"I know Will, but she'll come around. Sometimes she just needs time." Xander continued walking with the architectural plans in hand, directing his men to their work stations. Willow had dropped by the job site to talk about their best friends, recent, troubling demeanor.

Willow followed closely behind, talking as if there hadn’t been any interruptions. “But that’s my point! Xander, when have you known Buffy to hide stuff, important mood ruining stuff, with us? After she shares, then she gets the time.”

“How about when she hid Angel being back, and deader than ever, from us? Or when she went off to fight The Master alone, knowing it was written she would die? Or what about with Dawn being a mystical key? Or when-”

“Okay! You made your point! And with brute force...” She began to pout some, “So do you think eventually she’ll tell us?”

He opened the door to the small construction trailer, holding it open for the red head to enter. He took a seat behind one of the desks, as she sat in one of the chairs directly across from him. “I think if she needs us, we’ll be there to help.”

****

A moment passed before Buffy realized her hand, made into a fist, was in the air. About the strike the large metal door to Spike’s home. Was this going to be the first time she knocked? It was easy enough to allow herself entrance. The normal routine was to abruptly barge in by throwing the door open with enough force to rip it clean from the hinges. Though, she supposed that a decent amount of civil manners should take place, now that she and Spike were together. Or so she hoped.

Within the past few days, Spike’s behavior had been suspicious, but now there was tangible evidence for her suspicions to grow into theories. Buffy also knew her mind had a nasty habit of thinking up all the most dreadful possibilities of any situation. However, in all fairness, many of the life tangles she got caught in were the most dreadful of possibilities. Maybe it was a default, automatically thinking of the worst case scenario so that she’d be prepared when they happened. Right now, all she knew was what she saw.

The mystery dates with a strange man, and Spike’s alliance with him. There were many questions she yearned to ask him, wishing the answers shed light upon the previous night. What she heard, rattled off by his own tongue, haunted her. Did he and this vampire conspire, and truly intend on killing her? She had enough confidence in herself to know she could handle herself, but from his performance, so could he. The question really pounding her brain was if that guy was talking of the truth. Did Spike have no soul?

But she wouldn’t get to ask about those uncertainties. Not tonight anyway. Tonight she was The Slayer, out to learn more about her new opponent. She wasn’t Buffy, the girl with a torn heart.

****

The construction site with Xander was just a pit stop for the red headed witch. She stopped by on her way to Tara's, since they were going to continue researching throughout the day. Willow couldn't help the giddy tingling inside her. She has been spending a lot of her time with her ex, trying to prove she had changed. Tara only wanted her to be honest, and not rely on magic like she had been doing. Willow was proud to show off the new and improved her.

Once the used-to-be couple sat down with the scattered piles of books on the floor, it felt so familiar. When they were practicing together, more often than not, this was the exact scene, only with spell casting and potion formula books. There wasn’t much conversation so far besides the topical “How are you’s”. They had each snuggled into their spots on the floor, leaning against the side of the bed to get comfortable for the grueling hours ahead.

The two hour mark was about to hit when Willow stood up in a rigid fashion. “Instar of Ruina,” she recited in a foreign tongue.

Tara slowly rose, trying not to hurt her already sore muscles. “Did you find something Will?”

“I’m not sure. A name, Instar of Ruina- It’s Latin for Figure of Destruction,” she glanced over the pages in silence for a few more seconds. “It says that was the name given to him by a pair of priests, whose fellowship he basically ate in 1881.”

Willow was never good at hiding her emotions, and for this reason, Tara knew the passage she found wasn’t pretty, due to her appalled look. “H-how do you know if it’s- I-I mean, what does it say?”

The distraught expression upon Willows face never vanished as she spoke. “Says it was one of the largest slaughters ever to invade a house of God. Only, the people weren’t just killed. One of the priests was hung on a cross, imitating The Crucifixion, but was kept alive to view the massacre unfolding before him. The other Father, Maurice, the one who wrote about this encounter, hid in the bell tower, watching.” Willow raised her eyes to meet Tara’s, “It’s noted that he took his life soon after from the guilt. But the priest said that the demon ripped through the mass, torturing each victim before tearing into their necks. Some of the people were violently dismembered by the creature’s bare hands, but some were turned into vampires and locked inside to feed on anyone still alive.”

The mental images were terrifying. Tara shook her head in disgust, “But w-what makes you think this is our vamp?”

She pointed to the book, fingering the words, “The description that Buffy gave us matches up almost perfectly, and plus...”

The words seemed to have escaped Willows lips. Tara lowered her gaze, “Plus? Plus what?”

“Well, before the vampire left the church, another one showed up. It reads that the new arrival was in a state of fury, yelling at the vampire, or Colton, as he called him. Apparently, they fought in such a feral state that Father Maurice believed they would kill one another. However, the fight ended with Colton on the floor, but he wasn’t dead.” Willow ended her summary, not speaking any further.

“How does that make a match?” Tara questioned, not making any connections from what Willow had just said.

Despite the sickened feeling, and not wanting to say anymore out loud, Willow took in a deep breath before continuing. “The second vampire walked to the priest suspended from the cross and drank, before turning around and shouting, ‘Let it be known, that even God’s henchmen won’t be spared from Spike!’.”

****

William just wasn’t in a position to help him accomplish his desires. Colton supposed that anything was possible, though he hadn’t fathomed this outcome. Jacob may have been right about Spike, but that’s why Colt killed him. He couldn’t have been out smarted by the largest idiot he knew. No. It wouldn’t do to have his subordinates knowing that he had been blindsided by an old mate. It was unfortunate that he lost one of his brethren, but he took pleasure in producing a new one.

Colton always reveled in siring a new vampire, enjoying the twisted fact that he was gifting one with life. Each time he did so, he felt as if he was passing along the same gift of which he received many years ago. Besides, it was more than lovely to have a partner to wreak havoc with. To share the gruesome victories and devastation over humans.

The transformation process took time and much nourishment. A new vampire needs to feed often, to replenish the fluid that was taken during the exchange, and to grow stronger. Being the Sire, Colton took it upon himself to be responsible for the first feeding. Currently, the sun was brightly shining through the clouds, ready to sear any vampire willing to show itself. He would have to wait till sundown to find food for his newest member.

****

Spike strode over to the un-opened door, heavy boots pounding into the concrete beneath them, yelling, “I thought I told you to sod off until-,” with a hard jerk of the door handle, he stopped mid sentence, his features softening. “Oh. Buffy.”

“Until what, Spike?”

Buffy stood with purpose. Her arms folded over her chest and the risen brow told Spike everything he needed to know. She was pissed. Stepping aside to grant her passage, “Here. Come in. How you feelin’?”

The Slayer stepped inside, never faltering with the look she had perfected over the years. “Don’t avoid the question.”

He pushed the door closed with little effort, following Buffy until she stopped and turned around to face him. Nonchalantly, he brushed past her shoulder to sit in his favorite chair. “An wha’ question would that be luv?”

She knew he was playing dumb to get a rise out of her. The worst part was; he was damn good at it. He was the only one who could frustrate her so badly. Buffy sighed as she turned once again to face him, followed immediately by the rolling of her eyes, because they both knew his tactic was working. Time for a new approach, she thought.

“Look, I’m not here to yell at you, or accuse you of anything about what happened last night.” She recited with her saddened, hurt tone of voice and famous distraught look. Pausing for effect, she added, “But I need to learn about this new player in town because, obviously, I wasn’t prepared.”

Spike stayed silent for what seemed like minutes after Buffy spoke. How was it that she could bat her eyelashes or sport one frown and he jumped, ready to wrap himself around her finger? The worst part was that she was right to feel hurt. Or angry. He’d abused her trust for keeping the secret of Colt, and then there was the part where she could’ve been killed. Oh, and not to mention, she had overheard their small conversation of allegiance.

“Colton.” Spike said with a solemn tone. Standing up and motioning for Buffy to sit before he continued, “I’d wager you’ve already sussed out what breed of demon he is.”

Buffy had been quiet thus far, watching the mental war inside Spike’s head play across his face. When he offered her his spot on the chair, she sat attentively, waiting for the full of the story. As he spoke, he paced in front of her and she couldn’t help to think how cute the little quirk was. Though he spent most of his unlife being the Big Bad, Buffy found that there was a shy nervous side to Spike that softened his image. She felt a little special that she was the only one he shared it with.

When it dawned on Buffy that he had asked her a question and was waiting for a response, she nodded her head quickly. “Yeah, could feel the tingly vampire vibe a mile away. Actually, it must be on the fritz because since I’ve been here…,” she trailed off, suddenly noticing the empty bags pigs’ blood lying on the sarcophagus by the fridge.

Spike froze in mid-pace, swallowing hard as he followed her gaze to the blood he’d drunk before her arrival. Silently, he kicked himself. How could he be so daft as to leave those there?

“What is this?” Buffy demanded while standing to confront the, now, vampire. It was hard to imagine that he was in an alliance with another vampire, out for The Slayer’s blood, but the pain that stabbed her heart when actually seeing it before her eyes was worse. “So that’s it? An old buddy breezes into town and your back to the Slayer Killing game?”

Spike felt terrible. Guilty would have summed it up if he had a soul. What was the best way to approach such a question? When it came to him and Buffy, things seemed to have a habit of going the wrong way, so he remained silent. Only when he saw her eyes scan over his neck did he move. Pushing up the sleeve on his right arm revealed what she was looking for; a fresh bite mark on his wrist marred the pale skin.

Before she could stop it, there was the familiar sting of tears welling up in her eyes. No. She couldn’t cry. She couldn’t give him the satisfaction of that. So she did what she was best at with him and began to leave.

Like a leashed puppy, Spike scrambled after her. As soon as she opened the door, ready to make her exit, he put his palm on the door, and slammed it closed, effectively blocking her path. Before she could object any further, he took her off guard by spinning her shoulder around and pinning her against the cold metal. As he forced her to stay in place, all he wanted to do was kiss her quivering lips with a fervor of passion to show how much in love with her he really was. To convince her that no matter the circumstances, he could never harm her. However, for some reason, he was frozen. It was like his body wouldn’t act upon the minds request, which was probably a good thing because his head seemed to concoct the most terrible of plans. Instead, his lips began moving, “Just… hear me out, yeah?”

For a moment, Buffy thought he was going to kiss her. Watching his gaze jump between her eyes and lips, as if he was contemplating the options. In those few seconds, that was all she wanted. All she could think about. Every time he pressed his mouth to hers, the world simply fell away. It was like nothing else mattered or could touch her when she was lost in his devotion. And right now, she wished the world away so she could savor the time with the man she was falling in love with. He hadn’t though. Spike had asked her to listen while he explained. So, she complied with a slow nod of her head as her tongue darted out to wet her lips. “Okay.”

****

How long they sat in his crypt talking, well he did most of the talking, Spike had no idea. But being held up in a place with the girl he loved, while the sun kept him at bay, wasn’t too shabby of a deal. The way he figured, she hadn’t run off into the daylight where he couldn’t follow, so that was a good start. Then, the fact that she allowed him to speak his part without interrupting, except to clarify, was a delightful change. Spike begun the tale with all the knowledge of Colton he could recall. Starting with how he met the bloke and sired him because he saw himself in Colt, a shy pushover of a man. From there, Buffy got edited versions of the stories Spike felt had importance. Only when the chronological sequence reached present day did Buffy have much stronger reactions. He relayed just what it was that Colton was after by coming to Sunnydale, but she seemed to be more interested as to why he kept it a secret versus her life being at stake.

“So why hide it from me? We could have taken care of him before he became a problem in our life. Not only did you not even tell me my life was in danger, but I had to sit there and wonder why you kept sneaking around. I had to wonder what you were doing talking to a strange someone in the alley. I had to wonder when you were finally going to come clean from the lies.”

She had known? All along she had known. Of course, how could he be so dense? She waited for him to tell her because she trusted him, or had. “It’s not the best reason. Hell, if it’s even a reason at all, but… Remember how you told me of the council, and how they stripped your Slayer bits away?” Her confused nod gave him the go-ahead to continue, “You were lost without them. Couldn’t do the things you were used to. Things that had always come natural. For over a hundred years, I’ve been able to protect my own hide, nonetheless, the hides of the ones I care ‘bout. My whole world turned up-side down when you jumped to your death, Buffy. If it wasn’t for the promise of keeping Dawn safe, I’d be blowin’ in the wind somewhere. I couldn’t let that happen to you again, and its might selfish, but I couldn’t live through it again.”

The feelings he had for her were beautiful, but still something was ticking off the super independent side of her. Without much thought she blurted, “But we should have fought this. Together. You don’t have to protect me, Spike. I don’t want you to protect me, but to help me when I need it most. You have before, what’s changed?”

“Well, one small, major thing, I wasn’t human before. I wasn’t useless in a fight. I wasn’t a distraction for you to worry over,” Spike snapped back at Buffy, feeling a bit agitated about his weakness. “You let that pathetic excuse of a vamp get away jus’ the other night, ’cause one of ‘em got the best of me. Colton’s only here ‘cause of me, so it’s only right I tried to fix it, yeah?”

What he said made plenty of sense. He was newly human, not adjusted to not having the uber strength he was so accustomed to. Spike brought up the Cruciamentum the council put her through, and she remembered how powerless she felt, as if she was helpless. “Okay, so you played him… Right?”

“Suppose played ‘s a bit of an overstatement. But, yeah, pretended I wanted to join him so he’d trust me. Always was a stupid git,” Spike shook his head at Colton’s stupidity before continuing, “Plan was for me to get closer to you, so turnin’ you was simple, but since I was human, Colt came up with the brilliant plan of turnin’ me back for the big event. From there, I’ve jus’ been stallin’.”

“So you’re turned. Now what? Buffy tried for the non-obvious approach to bring up the subject she had been wanting to discuss from the get go, but failed miserably in her attempt.

A sad smile rose to his lips. He knew she would want the juicy details sooner or later, but he was hoping he could slide past this part. No such luck with Buffy he thought. When the girl had something on her mind, she’d go to the ends of the earth to get an answer. Looking down at the floor between them, Spike started talking about what exactly happened. “After last night, I knew Colt wasn’t takin’ to well to my trickery anymore. He would’ve killed you if… But I knew I didn’t have anymore time to come up with somethin’ clever. I paid off a vamp over at Willy’s to sire me.”

“How’d you know he’d actually follow through and not just kill you?” It wasn’t the real question she wanted to ask, but how was one suppose to pop out a question about having no soul?

At that, he looked up, “Believe it, or not, sweetheart, but I do still have some respect in the community.” Buffy cracked a smile at that, and he felt some the tensions lessen between them. “Was hopin’ to kill the bastard, an’ swallow up some of Red’s special mix before you even caught on to me not bein’ human.

“Why?” Buffy asked with genuine confusion.

“I’m not daft, luv,” Spike noted before his gaze burned into her. “I know you could never love me like this, a monster, but I think I’ve got a real chance at winning you with a beatin’ heart. That’s wha’ you want, and that’s wha’ I’ll do.”

Her eyes grew wider, and again that familiar burn of tears stung at her eyes. Buffy was motionless. Spike’s proclamations were never ending. Was she terrible for always telling him how she could never love him because he was a soulless creature? She was beginning to think so. Being with him the past few days, and she was already allowing feelings to develop to entire new levels. Come to find out he may of not even gotten his soul during the transformation, and she was back to thinking he wasn’t good enough? She needed to reevaluate all her previous, judgmental, thoughts before responding. So, she did the only logical thing she could think of, and kissed him. It wasn’t like previous encounters with Spike, where they tore at each other with a hunger, but a soft, almost sensual touch of their lips. Her world could take a new turn if she just let things happen instead of putting up a fight, and at this moment she realized how sweet it could be.
Chapter 17 by Hostile17
Chapter 17


Willow’s head was all frazzled. As she searched for Buffy, she couldn’t decide if she was doing the right thing. After researching, and finding out some pretty big information, she left to find her best friend immediately. Tara went to check on Dawn while Willow went to tell Buffy everything they learned about her new opponent. She just wasn’t sure if she should share the part about Spike and the maiming. At this point she had flopped back to being completely honest because that way it couldn’t back fire in her face. Although, this route had the potential of hurting Buffy. It was obvious how much the pair cared for each other, and would it be wrong if Willow just wanted them to be happy? Not to even mention how hard Spike has tried to be good for her, and something of this nature could really set back the strides he’s made. Okay, her mind was set for good now. Most of the truth it would be.

She stood at the entrance to Spike’s crypt for a few moments before the courage she sought found its way to her. In general Willow was a nervous spaz, but something about telling a person- a person who uses violence as a solution to her problems- what they probably didn’t want to hear, made her jump off the Nerve Wrecking Chart.

When her tiny hand struck the door, all she hoped was that Buffy was actually in there. Willow looked all over town for the Slayer, but with no luck. Spike’s place was the only other place she could think of for her to be. If only she could use her magic. A locator spell would have cut out the hour and a half of walking time.

“Buffy? Spike? It’s me, Willow!” she shouted loudly through the door, while her hands were fidgeting in anticipation.

****

“Who’s that?” Buffy heard a knock and a faint voice outside the door, but couldn’t hear what the person wanted. Her first thought was that Colton was coming by for a heart to heart with Spike, but the voice sounded like a female.

Immediately upon the rapping at the door, Buffy jolted upright off Spike’s laying form. The kiss between them began heating up quickly and soon they had found themselves on the chilly floor, kissing each other with a calm passion Spike had never experienced with the Slayer. It felt like there was true emotion behind each caress her lips gave him. Spike hated that they were interrupted, but not because of his arousal. This was different. He absolutely adored the romanticism between them. To him, if they stopped kissing and she just cuddled in his arms, it would be a perfect moment. However, like all their great moments together, it ended quicker than it started. “It’s your bird, Red. ‘Seems she’s lookin’ for you.”

“Willow’s here?” That fact took her by surprise. Willow never showed her face around these places unless it was an emergency. “Stay here,” she ordered Spike as she walked over to face Willow.

****

“Buffy! Hi! I’ve been looking all over for you!”

“Why? Is it Dawn? Is she-?”

“Oh, no. Dawn’s fine. She’s with Tara. Safe and sound or as safe and sound as one can be in Sunnydale!” At this point, even Willow knew her ‘Everything’s Fine’ cover was over the top, but peeking around Buffy’s form hadn’t revealed a bright blonde male, which, being Spike’s place was odd.

Buffy had no choice but to play along with the uneasy red head. “Okay. So what’s up?”

Alright, brave face on, it’s time. “Well, Tara and I did some more research on your English baddie… We found good news and some bad.” Okay, so she was back to the ‘honest’ side. She just wasn’t good with lying. “Say, where’s Spike? Cause he probably doesn’t want to be around when you find out you were right about his involvement with this guy.”

Folding her arms over her chest, Buffy realized the situation still irritated her, even though she understood it all. “Actually, Will, I know.”

Uh. Oh. She crossed her arms. Willow knew that was a bad sign, usually meaning anger of some sort. “How?” She squeaked, but wasn’t sure if she wanted to hear the answer.

“Spike told me.”

This was certainly a surprise. “Really?” It was that moment when it occurred to Willow that Buffy was standing directly beside a pile of dust. Eyes wide, she shook her head frantically, “And you killed him?! Buffy! How could you? Spike didn’t-”

The accusation against her was insane. Buffy’s hands flew out, signaling Willow to stop panicking. “What? No! He’s-”

“Here.” The baritone voice interrupted both girls. When they looked over at him, he gave a short wave of his hand.

“Oh. Well… good!” Willow said with a crooked smile.

“Why would you think I killed Spike?”

Her finger shot out, pointing down to the floor. “The mound of dust lying beside your feet?”

It was Spike’s turn to answer. “Jus’ a side-effect of sweepin’ with no pan,” he said simply, but instead of understanding, both girls looked shocked.

Without the self-control to stop it, Buffy giggled, “You sweep? A place that’s all about dead bodies and dirt, and you sweep?”

Holding a warning finger in the air, Spike growled, “Watch it!” With a roll of his eyes, he added, “’Fraid an eternity of immortality doesn’t excuse good house keepin’. Can’t rightly live in a pit of filth.”

Again, Buffy began snickering at ‘The Vampire Who Cleans’ and Willow had no choice but to join in. Sure it was at his expense, but Spike even let an amused smirk shine through.

****

“So, Spike claims everything with this Colton guy was just a cover?” Dawn asked, to nobody in particular, but all parties in the room could see the scrutiny directed at the vampire. Her skeptical glares she kept throwing his way let all her thoughts and feelings escape in silence. “Are we all forgetting that he was human and still lying through his teeth?”

“Dawn! “ Buffy said sharply, in a tone that came out harsher than she wanted. Her sister’s attitude towards Spike was strange, considering he was the only one she actually listened to. Their bond was cute in Buffy’s eyes. It seemed they looked after one another. Buffy knew Spike would always protect her, no matter the cost, and that Dawn stood up for him, even when no one else would. It was disappointing to think their bond may have been broken over events that could have been avoided from the get go.

Spike completely understood Dawn’s point of view. To her, he was the trash that lied to her sister and put her in harms way. Frankly, he respected the younger Summer’s position and willingness to say something when no one else would. He liked to think the Bit learned some of that backbone from him. “I know wha’ you’re thinking Dawn. I wasn’t straight with you before, but-”

“But you lied! And now you’re a vampire again. Pretty good timing huh?” Dawn shot back before rushing for the stairs that would lead her to solitude.

“Dawn! Get back here!” Buffy yelled after the blur running up the steps.

“It’s okay pet. Let her go on up.” Spike paused before adding, “Actually, mind if I have a word with the Bit?”

“Better you getting yelled at than me. Go for it. I’ll fill in the others in the mean time.” Buffy walked back into her spot in the living room before he had a chance to respond. Spike was halfway up the stairwell when she shouted out, “Oh! And watch for anything pointy and wooden!”

The group heard a faint mutter, “Funny Slayer.“ Xander, Willow, and Tara sat back in their spots on the couch, watching the reality soap unfold before them. Buffy had called a Scooby meeting due to the new information she obtained while visiting Spike. So far, the only people talking, or rather, yelling were Buffy, Dawn, and Spike. The other three sat in amused silence, waiting for things to cool down before asking questions.

With three expecting glances looking at her, Buffy took a breath and stuck her hands on her hips. “So. Let’s get down to business.”

****

By the time Spike trailed after Dawn, she had made it to her bedroom and settled in at the foot of her twin size bed. She lay on her stomach with her face pressed into crossed arms. He knew Dawn heard him approaching when she suddenly turned her body so she wouldn’t be facing his direction.

“Where should I stand?”

Dawn still refused to look back, but she couldn’t let a random question like that go. “What?”

Spike held his position on the opposite side of the room and shrugged, “The burnin’ of the bastard who hurt your sis? Where should I stand?” He reached inside the front pocket of his jeans and pulled out his Zippo. With a flick of his thumb the top flew open and the sound of the stone rubbing against the flint filled the silent room. That seemed to gain Dawn’s attention. She lifted her head to look back at the vampire and the tiny flame flickering in his hand. Within that moment, Spike whipped the lid close and tossed the lighter onto the bed beside her, as if he was giving her the weapon to end his existence.

She only looked at it for a second before turning away again. “You aren’t sleeping…”

“Well, yea- Got me there. But wha’s better than a willin’ victim, hmm?”

“Not having a victim.”

The girl was smart, playing the guilt card, which Spike knew he very much deserved. No better time than now for a heart to heart. He stepped closer until he stood just a few inches from her and squatted down to eye level. “Well, if your not gonna turn me to dust, guess we should chat.”

“Go for it. Doesn’t matter what you say. You still lied.”

“I did. Thought I could handle this lil’ family reunion alone. Colt is my doing Dawn. When I found out the stupid git was here, I did some investigating. Plan was to send him away and you all would be none the wiser to my mess. When Buffy was his target… Things got worse. Jus’ like your five finger discount phase? Turned from a piddley necklace to a pricey leather jacket. See the point?”

“So why turn back to a vampire? We could of helped you- Buffy could of-“

“Buffy doesn’t need to be put in danger ‘cause of me. The rest of the bunch either. Course, that backfired a bit on me… but I’m going in to kill Colton, family or not. As soon as the dust settles, I’m drinkin’ the magic brew again.” Spike said all he needed to. Now it was for her to decide if she forgave him or not. He got up and walked away, grabbing his lighter on the way to the door. Before exiting he paused, “That’s what Buffy would want and if there’s anything right by me- That’s what she’ll get.”

****

“Will, Tara… You guys don’t need to research anymore. I know what this Colton is up to now.”

“Hey!” Xander chimed in with an expression of annoyance. “Willow and Tara? I was right there in the middle of the book reading fight!”

Willow rolled her eyes, careful to not let him see. “Xander, you fell asleep after about 15 minutes and we weren’t researching Colton’s back story, we were trying to figure out how Spike got turned human.”

“A-and you also had a-a comic book inside the book you were reading, s-so it looked like you were researching,” Tara added meekly.

“You caught that huh?”

“Only when you laughed out loud,” Willow stated with a crooked smile.

Buffy was only slightly amused, due to the fact that she was in Slayer mode, things that should be making her laugh, didn’t. She was focused; her head was in the game and ready to fight anything that was in her bad graces. This pre-set determination is what kept her on track till the game was over and she had one more victory in her back pocket. “Does anyone actually want to know what this Colton’s reason for being here is?”

“Think I might be the one to shed some light on that.” Spike noted casually from his position in the doorway. Dawn had followed behind him but stopped at the bottom of the stairs and sat on the last step. He leaned against the frame with his hand in left pocket, waiting for his queue to start speaking.

“You know, at least now we won’t waste hours of time trying to figure this guy out. Luckily, we know the guy working right by his side!” Xander slipped in during the slight silence. Of course, with Buffy’s menacing look of ‘I don’t want any more fighting,’ he chose not to add anymore sarcastic comments, considering it would be the worst timing possible.

In order to continue a productive meeting, and move things along, Buffy turned to Spike, “So shed.”

“Right.” It was his turn to take the floor. Spike always hated this part. Mostly due to the fact that the Scooby Gang seemed to have a bias opinion of his nature, but more importantly, they hardly listened to him. No matter the subject, the crew never took what he had to say seriously. He stood upright and took a stance next to his Slayer. “Basic jist is to turn Buffy.”

“…There we have it. Man of many words.” Xander thought he had a sickness since words kept spilling from his mouth, even though his brain knew his friends in the room frowned upon them.

“Xander…,” Willow muttered with a non-approving stare before focusing on the main speaker. “But why? A Buffy Vampire? What’s good about that?”

Spike was slightly flattered that Buffy‘s gang was finally looking to him with ears perked up for answers. “You won’t find it in your books, Red- Watchers hid it. A slayer turned is a mass amount of destruction an’ chaos. Colton wants her on a bloody path- something for history to remember him by. What he doesn’t care ‘bout is the code. Vamps aren’t suppose’ to sire Slayers. Yeah, it sounds fun. Runnin’ with the Chosen One and rippin’ through towns, one by one, but it doesn’t work tha’ way. A turned Slayer is unpredictable and not to mention impervious to harm. Becomes a bit of a sticky.”

Tara looked concerned as she raised her hand to signify she would be speaking next. “You s-said the Watchers hid it? So it has h-happened before?”

“Once. Far as I know.”

“Why has Giles never mentioned this?” Buffy interjected.

Inside he chuckled. He knew at some point, one of them would challenge his knowledge because the Old Watcher hadn’t ever mentioned this tidbit. “He probably don’ know luv. It’s quite the secret.”

“Okay, so- it’s bad- no slayer vampires. So my question is: How do we stop him?” Xander asked, forwarding the conversation to the plan making stage.

“That’s why we’re here. Spike and I had an idea, but I want you guys as back up.”

“Sure Buff, I’m there.” Xander verbalized his support while Tara and Willow nodded theirs.

“Don’t forget to keep your eyes on the prize mates. Colt’s a gent till he wants something an’ a master vamp there after. He’s been ‘round the best of the best, so he learned a few things along the way.” He hoped his warning would stick in everyone’s mind, but most importantly, Buffy’s. She had a way of getting ahead of herself in battle or underestimating an opponent. Of course, she’s always clever and fights her way out, but last time was too close. Spike knew Colton was his burden, so he felt explaining to the gang about his childe’s capabilities was an obligation.

“From what we r-read, he likes to cause pain in any w-way possible. So you both be careful too.”

“Thanks Tara.” Buffy smiled with appreciation before walking over to the weapons chest. “Let’s strap up.”

A devilish smirk swept over Spike’s lips. “Mmm… My favorite part.”
Chapter 18 by Hostile17
Chapter 18


“Forget it! There’s no way!”

“I’m just sayin’ you should mull it over.”

“I’ve mulled. No more mulling for Buffy.”

“Could be a good gig. I’d only want enough cash for a carton of smokes, rest is yours.”

“I’m sticking with my- ‘Thankful, but polite decline‘.”

“Suit yourself, Slayer. Now,” giving her a devilish grin, “Back to the mulling bit. I still get the pleasure of mullin’ you over, right?”

The playful banter between the pair seemed to brighten the space around them and lift their spirits as they traveled alone in the dark streets of Sunnydale. Spike got word of a job that required muscle and paid well, and since Buffy was having money trouble, he offered her the opportunity to make some quick cash. He even offered to help, but Buffy wasn’t biting, due to the fact that it was a demon who posted an ad in the classifieds. He should have known better, but during their brisk walk to face their newest enemy, Buffy brought up the tight situation her and Dawn were still in. He decided to let the topic slide and allow the conversation to drift elsewhere.

“Are you ready for this fight?” The Slayer inside took control and turned the conversation table from jokes to a serious state.

“More than I’ve ever been. I should have taken the wanker out a long while ago.” Spike said solemnly. “Now, remember the plan, and don’ get caught off guard Buffy. If anything happens to you…”

“I promise. I’ll be Miss Careful. And trust me, the last thing I wanna do is be turned. Been there, done that. Plus, being a vampire made me cranky.”

The two had devised a plan that they shared with the gang earlier. It was go time now. Spike and Buffy headed to the battle together, while the rest of the gang stayed behind at Buffy’s home until their presence would be needed. Xander and Willow were to arrive near a half hour after Spike and Buffy to Colton’s lair. Yet again, despite the weight of the anticipation, all too quickly they found themselves back in an antic filled discussion.

“Not sure I remember this tale…”

“When I first moved here, nightmares were coming true for people. I got sired by the Master. Luckily the effects didn’t stick.”

“Me to, or we’d be cousins of some sort, and tha’ could’ve gotten weird.”

“I don’t even know why I’m asking this, but what are you talking about?”

“Well, technically- The Master was my great, great Granddad, till you killed him, ‘course.” Spike put his head down, acting as if he was sad over the matter, but he couldn’t hide his smile for long.

Buffy pretended to play along and tease back. “Old age kills, what can I say? And really, cousins wouldn’t be so strange… Say, compared to having a relationship with your deranged and creepy maker.” As the words flowed from her lips, Spike stopped in his tracks with an open mouth. Buffy continued walking forward, never looking back and smiled.

Spike jogged lightly to catch up, “You know if we weren’t at our destination, I’d have a helluva comeback!”

“We’ve got a few more steps to go… let’s hear it.” She really enjoyed taunting him for some twisted reason.

“Well it wouldn’t suit now!” Spike complained like a young petulant boy. “Least, now I know you were jealous,” he murmured just above a whisper so she couldn‘t fully hear. “Sides‘ were here.”

Buffy’s smile disappeared as she took a deep breath. Her hands found their way to the back of her head, where they pulled out the hair tie that let loose the blond strands before roughing them up as if to make it look messy. She reached down grabbing dirt and rubbing some on her cheek, forehead, and knees. After she compiled herself, out of nowhere, Buffy cocked back her arm and connected her fist with Spike’s face.

Instantly grabbing the left side of his profile, he yelled out, “Ow! Bloody hell! What was that for?!”

She shrugged, “You said we needed it to look like a struggle. Hence the disheveled hair and dirty knees?”

“An’ I couldn’t rub some of your grimy dirt on me? Instead, I get a black eye?”

“Fits better.”

“You’re makin’ that up to me later.” Spike’s hands shot out, spinning Buffy around to put her arms behind her back. Grabbing hold of her now bound wrists, he began to shove Buffy forward towards Colton’s temporary residence, of which he commandeered from the family of four he murdered when he had first arrived.

Before the door could fully open, two vampires that worked for Colt halted Spike and Buffy’s entrance. In order to proceed, Spike flashed a little fang that accompanied a low growl. The two vampires separated, allowing passage to the elder demon. Spike felt like the fake capturing between he and the Slayer wasn’t pretend anymore. Buffy was struggling in his grasp, making his part much more difficult while he tried directing her to Colt’s master room. Spike tightened his grip because he was having difficulty keeping hold of the Slayer, which served to convince the two minions that authorized their arrival while following closely behind.

“Could be easier for you, if you’d stop with the wriggling’ act!” he yelled, hoping she would understand to play it down some so he didn’t have to man handle her.

Why didn’t he get that this has to look real if the vampires were going to buy it? She doesn’t need to be taken easy on. “Not till I’m cold and dead!” She turned sideways, slamming her body into Spike to pin his against the opposite wall.

Before the other vampires could attack, Spike’s knee came up, pressing into her lower back and pushed her face first into the drywall. He did the only thing he could think of to keep the monsters paws off her and wrapped his bicep around her neck, careful not to press too hard and deprive her of oxygen. Walking backwards, he dragged Buffy the rest of the way. Skipping courtesies, he barreled through the door with a hard shoulder check, throwing the Slayer to the wood floor at Colton’s feet.

Spike fully morphed to the demon he was all too familiar with, “You doubt your sire again and there’ll be blood to pay.”

****

“Are you ready?” Dawn asked as Tara sat down next to her.

“I think so.” Tara opened an old leather bound book as Dawn lit a few candles that created a circle around the witch.

“Xander and Willow should be there soon. You should probably start.”

A slew of words bellowed from Tara as she began reciting the incantation. The smoke from the candles all collected in the center of the circle, entwining with one another to make a spiral, mimicking a tornado. Once Tara finished the spell, she blew a small handful of a shimmering substance into the smoky spiral and all the smoke rose to the ceiling before dissipating in a bright flash.

Dawn blinked several times before speaking again. “Was it supposed to blow up?”

Tara shook her head slowly, “I don’t think it worked. L-like the magic was blocked or something?”

“So what do we do now?”

****

The street lamps seemed to be severely bright against the dark night sky. Xander and Willow had started on their short journey to Colton's. They waited a while after Spike and Buffy left to give them needed time and space to get inside. According to the plan, Colton would most likely check for more forces, but if none were found, he would have better trust of Spike. Xander and Willow would arrive later and take out the vampire guards.

“I still don't like it.”

“Well it's risky. And I just hope they know what they are doing,” Willow said. She was worried about the success rate of this plan just as much as Xander.

Xander shook his head. “Spike knows what he's doing. He did it for a hundred plus years. That's what vampires do Will, they kill people.”

Willow stopped walking to look at Xander. “He's not going to kill her... He's just making it look like he's going to kill her.” She paused after hearing her own words, “It'll be much better than it sounds.”

The pair continued walking at a fast pace to the house Colton had overtaken while he was in town. Spike had given them the address before hand so they could put the spell on it more effectively. Xander and Willow soon found themselves at 1290 Tenbrook, in front of a nice two story home. This was it.

****

Willow displayed her anxiousness by stepping off the sidewalk to cut through the yard. “Xander?” She asked after realizing he wasn't behind her. “Come on!” She whispered.

Replying in a low tone, “Will, I can't.”

“I already told you, it'll be much better in reality. Hurry up, we don't have much time.”

“I can't-- Like physically.” Xander again tried stepping onto the property but was repelled by an unknown force.''

As she saw her friend be sprung back, her forehead crinkled with confusion, “It must be a barrier of some sort... Maybe-”

“Will, behind you!” Xander shouted after seeing a dark figure behind willow in the yard.

Willow took off for the sidewalk by Xander but tripped just before she could make it. “Ahh! Get off!” She could feel the grabby hands pull on her legs. Kicking as hard as she could to knock them away, but a second figure appeared.

“Willow! Hey! Get away from her! Will!” He should loudly, unable to get past the invisible barrier. He was useless. He was forced to watch as she was carried away into the house. He had to get Tara, she could break the barrier.
Chapter 19 by Hostile17
Chapter 19


Buffy was huddled against a wall on the floor by Colton's feet. She brought her knees up to her chest as she glared at the two vampires, feigning fear. Knowing it was all pretend between her and Spike didn't stop her from actually getting pissed off. Since she was on the ground when they first entered the room after Spike tossed her over, when she tried rising to her feet, Colton kicked her back down. She knew Spike couldn't do anything to help her, but for some reason logic wasn't playing into her anger. Colton told her that when he wanted her to get up, he would let her know. She really wasn't liking this guy.

Spike sat in a large arm chair across from Buffy and Colton. He sprawled his legs out wide as if he was relaxing. He still wore the demon's face as he lit up a cigarette. “So. What now?”

Colton's face gleamed. “Now we feed. Of course, seniority secures you place to begin,” the deep baritone of his voice coaxed.

“Well color me pink.” Spike smiled before putting out his cigarette on the arm of the chair. He rose to his feet slowly, tucking his thumbs behind his belt buckle, “Come on luv. Don't be shy now.” The words seemed to roll off his tongue in a twisted seductive manor. He stuck up his index finger, bending it towards himself to beckon Buffy.

“I'm not shy,” she spat, rising to her feet. “Just disgusted.”

Colton let out a chuckle, his accent dripping with thickness, “I do understand your interest in her. She is rather saucy, isn't she?”

Raising an eyebrow, Spike snickered back, “'S not her mouth I'm interested in.”

Again, her brain battled with her emotions. It's an act. That's all; you know he doesn't mean any of it. “Great, nasty man talk. Can we just get on with this?” She asked with a roll of her eyes.

Just as Spike began advancing on The Slayer, the silence filled with pounding foot steps and Willow's cry for help.

“What the bloody hell is goin' on!?” Spike yelled vehemently at Colt.

“I'd ask you the same old friend,” Colton countered just as the door swung open.

Three of his vampire henchmen stepped into the room. With them was Willow. One of the vamps shoved her forward, making her stumble into Buffy. “We caught her in the yard, sir.”

The head of the vampire pack added, “She wasn't alone. She had a human, he was unable to pass.”

“I'm pleased the incantation worked so well. That will be enough, thank you,” Colton dismissed his demon crew. “You see Spike, I learned much from you, however, I've picked up a few helpful suggestions along the way.”

“Oh?” Spike had noticed the fresh bite marks on the first vampire who had entered. Colton must have recently made him, Spike thought. He knew Colt too well. He was always siring new vampires to replace the ones that went against him.

“Yes. I had magicks placed on this house. Only supernatural’s can enter the parameters. It's rather ironic isn't it? The human population has the no-invite protection to not allow demons, and there's a spell for demons to not allow entrance of humans.” Colton sneered as if he was pleased with himself.

“Yeah, real mind blowing mate,” Spike replied without amusement. “What's goin' on here?”

Colton had an answer already on his lips, “I suppose I should have known you couldn't be trusted.”

“Are you kidding me?!” Spike snarled his yellow eyes wide. It was easy to show dark emotions when he let the demon free. He reached for Willow, clutching her shoulders tightly, “Why'd you come here?!”

She hoped this was still part of the act because she thought his grip felt real. Willow blinked before opening her mouth, as if to muster some courage. “To save Buffy! Xander never trusted you!” At least she could keep to the truth she thought. “He had a bad feeling when you said you wanted to show something to Buffy, and darn it, he was right!”

Thank God, she was playing along. This was quickly turning into a disaster of a plan, but frankly Spike preferred improvising in a fight- Made life more exciting. “What aren't you tellin' me Red?” He shouted, flashing his fangs as he shoved her against the wall with enough force to make his chip fire. “Ahh! Bloody hell!” Spike grabbed his head in an instant, letting Willow go with out a fight. Spike hated the firing of the chip, but it had to look real.

Buffy continued acting meek by only grabbing Willow away from the demons and not trying to fight. “Let Willow go, you've got me.”

“Might brave eh?” Spike looked at Colton.

“Oh, truly a remarkable act of courage. Though, I must say, I find it odd that this witch hasn't cast a single spell to free herself.” Colton commented. “Though, it won't matter. This force field eliminates all magicks and nothing can penetrate it.”

Crap, Buffy thought, knowing the spell Tara was suppose to be casting won't have a chance. She knew it was too late for Willow, but maybe Xander still had a shot. The entire plan was resting with that spell. “Guess I'll have to do this the old fashion way then,” she mumbled loudly.

Spike knew the other vampires could hear any signs of trouble if a fight broke out now. He would have to be quick with the act. He reached behind his coat, wrapping his cold fingers around the wooden weapon he had stashed there. Then he waited for the best opportunity. He could finally end this.

****

“It did it again.” Dawn was worried now. Tara had performed the ritual for the spell twice now. Xander and Willow had left some time ago and have likely been at Colton’s waiting.

Tara shook her head from side to side with a sigh. “I-I don't understand. Something keeps stopping it.”

“Tara, Willow and Xander don't know the undetectable spell didn't work. They could be in serious trouble by now.”

The tiny bell above the door rang, gaining the rooms attention. “Okay, we have big trouble!” The door shut behind him and he hurriedly approached the two girls.

“Xander, what's wrong?” Dawn stood with her arms wrapped nervously around her midsection. She looked between Tara and Xander, waiting for a story or a reaction.

“Is Willow...?”

“I dunno. I tried getting to her,” he paused before redirecting his emotions elsewhere, “What happened to the spell that was suppose to make us invisible?”

After sitting cross legged on the floor, Tara stood up, breaking the sacred circle. “I-I'm not sure. We tried b-but-”

“Well it didn't work. A few fanged creatures carted her off, but I couldn't follow with the force field thingy keeping me on the side walk.” Something occurred to him, “Could that have been a backfire from the spell?”

“A force field?” Tara thought a moment, “No.” She stated assertively. “If this Colton applied something as sophisticated as protective barriers, t-then chances are it's what's blocking my spell.”

“Then why could Willow waltz in unannounced like she was the Queen of England?”

Tara was silent, “I don't know. Buffy will protect her.” Self assurance seemed to be the most soothing remedy when she was scared.

Meanwhile, Dawn had made her way to one of the book shelves and had been flipping through the pages while they talked. “Supernatural invitation incantation.”

Xander looked over at her, “Say what now Dawnie?”

“I've been working off my sticky fingers sentence here at The Magic Box and the reading content is limited so... I found this after the 'wishing disaster'. I was looking for a reversal spell, just in case we ever end up stuck inside again. Or maybe how to keep demons away, but this is like the reverse. It keeps humans out instead of demons. Maybe that's what Colton is using on the house.”

“Can I- I need to read it before I even try to break it.” Dawn handed her the passage without any objections. “If this is the correct spell, we'll need to test if it works.”

“Then I guess I'm test guy,” he noted before heading back towards the door. “How long will you need Tara?”

“Maybe 20 minutes? To read and set up, but if it doesn't work-”

“Try again. I'll call after 25 if nothing changes.” And with that he was gone out the shop door, leaving once again to contribute in the fight.

Dawn was proactive in cleaning up the supplies from the previous spell while Tara jumped head first into the incantation book. She knew that she wouldn't get any praise for remembering the spell book, but silently she padded herself on the back. Dawn smiled, finally she felt as if she mattered and had something to provide to the gang. “I'll clean up, just focus on that.”
Chapter 20 by Hostile17
Chapter 20


“I've never known a Slayer to have so many friendships during her reign.” Colton mentioned with a calm demeanor. He had been talking generously about all of his future plans for quite sometime now. Buffy had liked the fact that he was so open about everything, but the information was useless to her and everyone else in the room. All the people currently gathered were already there to make sure Colton never got the chance to create a destructive monstrosity out of a Slayer. She wished that his loose mouth would have opened itself much earlier to Spike, but then again that would have been too easy. And her life was never easy.

Finally, it looked like Colt was going to make his move. As he spoke, he began advancing on both Buffy and Willow, trapping them into a corner of the room. Buffy stood tall, keeping Willow behind her. “Well you know what they say, 'Some people are just born into popularity,' but from what I've read, you weren't one of them.” Being verbally aggressive always pumped her up for the fight, but Colton hadn't bitten once yet. The way he wanted to conduct his business in such a gentleman's way was somewhat creepy to her. He didn't come off as a menacing bad guy, which really made the bad vs. good lines all blurry.

It was the first time that he changed. Yellow, glowing eyes replacing the dark hazel. Perfectly smooth skin formed ridges in his brow and upper cheeks. Fangs came down, slightly showing below his upper lip. Even with the demon in place, Colton barely let his anger show as he gently tugged on his cuffs, smoothing out the jacket he wore. The sophistication he presented was almost so alluring that Buffy hardly realized he went on the attack. Striking with a fluid motion of his hand, jutting out with intentions of grabbing Buffy's neck, but before his fingers could get a grip, Spike was on his feet in an instant, pulling him backwards hard against the floor. With one swift movement, Spike brought the stake up above his head, plunging it downwards at Colt's chest cavity.

Colton growled just as the wooden tip began to pierce his flesh, and his hand shot out, grabbing behind Spike's knee, yanking him to the ground. He rolled quickly away from his enemies, leaving the stake to lay useless on the ground. Jumping to his feet, snarling as he debated his next move.

Three lines stretched their way across her neck from Colton's nails, droplets of blood already seeping through. Buffy wasn't concerned with the burning she could feel; instead she rushed to the fallen vampire, oblivious to Colton's lackeys filling the room. Extending her hand for Spike to use as leverage to stand, quickly looking him over for any signs of a serious injury.

Willow stayed in the safety of the corner, “Uh, guys? Sorta rethinking the plan...”

Side by side, Spike and Buffy took their fighting stances, ready for what was to come. Buffy didn't take her eyes off the approaching vampires as she spoke. “Don't worry Will, he'll still end up dead, no matter what plan we go with.”

As if Buffy's words seemed to silently say 'GO', the pair was rushed by the three vamps who had entered within seconds. Buffy landed a jab, followed by a kick to the largest vampire out of the trio, sending him into the opposite wall. The other two vampires went for Spike. One slammed his knuckles into Spike's face as the other smashed his boot into his leg, making him drop to a knee.

Without wasting any time, The Slayer grabbed one of the demons by the neck, fighting to hold him still as Spike used the stake that had fallen to the ground to thrust it upward into its heart, thoroughly dusting him. The other two had surrounded Buffy and Spike, low growls emerging from them as they showed their fangs. Buffy lifted her eyes to meet Spike's and he responded with a curt nod. In a flash of choreographed maneuvers, the remaining vampires had exploded into small particles of dust.

He looked at her in awe. Spike had told her once that she and he danced, and while they started as enemies, fighting each other, they have grown into a bizarre team of sorts. Her moves always matched his, and if one got the upper hand, it lasted only a minute before the other countered. In time, they began playing off each other, working together to kill other demons. Soon enough, they never even spoke during their battles, always aware of the other. He would always be amazed at how well they seemed to fit together in so many ways.

Willow was already on the move, running after Colton. Buffy and Spike rushed behind her, ready to finish the fight. As they descended the stairs, feet pounding on every step, an audible sound from the door opening struck their attention. Colton got out.
****

Worn out from the run, okay, fast walking, to the house which held all his friends captive, Xander bent down, placing his hands on his knees to catch his breath. He stood on the sidewalk, just outside the parameters of the invisible barrier. When he took one last deep breath, anticipating the hard throw backwards that he got earlier, he put one leg out to step onto the lawn. Nothing. Nothing happened. His fist went up, as if he accomplished something huge. He mumbled, “I'm coming guys,” before he ran to the front door, turning the knob with ease as he burst in unannounced. Before he could decide which direction to go, a tall figure came barreling at him from the main hall. With out hesitation, Xander acted on pure instinct, swinging hard at the man when he reached arms length.

****

She wasn't sure what she was planning to do if she was able to catch up to the vampire who has been threatening to kill her and her best friend, but her legs wouldn't stop. Reaching the last step brought the front entry into view for Willow as she rushed after the culprit. When her eyes saw Xander hitting Colton, her mouth let out a giddy, “Yes!” as Colton flew to his side. She kept moving forward and without looking back yelled, “He didn't get away Buffy!”

The Slayer and blond vampire passed Willow in the hall, both skittering to a halt before they reached the fallen form. Spike took a step forward, hovering above him.

“So William... I suppose your anger won't spare my life?” Colt asked, staring up at the dangerous weapon that would most likely be his demise.

Looking down, Spike tilted his head, the sides of his mouth lifting in an upwards curve, “Doubt it mate... Never threaten my girl.” Unlike the movies like to depict, it wasn't drug out. It was quick and sweet, giving him more pleasure than any kill he had in a long time.

Everyone else watched the stoic vampire crumble into particles. They blinked once or twice before gathering together to break the silence. Xander hugged Willow tightly in his embrace while looking at Buffy to notice the scratches at her throat. “You're okay?”

Buffy finally reached up, assessing the damage Colton had done. She nodded with a soft smile, “Yea, no serious bumps or bruises to note.” Her attention turned to Spike, who still hadn't moved from his position over his old companion and for a moment she wondered if it was hard for him to do. Willow's voice broke her thought.

“We should check in with Tara and Dawn, they're probably worried.”

“You guys go ahead. We'll catch up.” Buffy walked over to Spike's side, looking down at the floor where his eyes seemed to be glued.

“It's over.”

“Yeah, and with minimal deaths,” she replied.

It was then that Spike moved, turning to face her. Deep azure eyes boring into her, “You're not dead. That's all that matters.” Exhaling, he shook his head, allowing his eyes to look anywhere but directly at her. “I don't know wha' I would've done if-”

Placing her hand on his upper arm as if to anchor his gaze. “It didn't,” she stated sternly. Buffy released her hold of him, smiling, and “Let's go home.”

****

“So Xander came in and hit him?” Dawn was perched on the edge of the couch, infused with the story of tonight's events.

“Well I just got through the door, saw a guy running towards me, and I acted on the primal instinct that Man has. Lurking inside each and every one of us.”

Willow piped in the conversation from her spot in between Tara and Dawn on the couch, “You mean the 'run and hide' instinct?”

Xander was relaxed in the big chair across from the girls. He held up a finger at Willow, “Ahh that is usually the most reliable. But, I chose the stupid route of possibly getting pummeled by the Big Bad Daddy Mack Vampire.”

“Good thing your stupid then.” Buffy chirped from her place in the doorway of the living room.

“You betcha!”

The gang rendezvoused back at the Summers' home after the mission was completed. Tara and Dawn had been so engrossed in the story after being stuck at the Magic Shop while all the action happened elsewhere. First, Xander shared his part of the tale, making sure to include the fact that Willow got captured and kept upstairs with Buffy and Spike. Willow went on about how incredibly scary Colton actually was, even though he had tall, dark, and handsome appeal going on for him. She explained how Spike and Buffy couldn't fight back right away because of the spell not working, but they improvised a new plan that worked out pretty much in their favor. Making sure to cut in about his surprise entrance at the end, Xander finished telling the rest. Buffy only offered a few details, but left most of it to her friends who seemed to enjoy the sharing part just a bit more than she did. Amidst all the commotion, Spike had stepped away quietly, not offering an explanation to the rest of the room’s population.

Though she was joining in her friends conversations, Buffy noticed Spike's disappearing act. She chose to remain with the others, unsure if he wanted the company. He had been extremely silent the entire way back to the house, keeping to himself. Here she was thinking the night was a complete success, and somehow it wasn't going exactly as she thought it would. Of course, she wasn't sure how things should be going; she just knew this wasn't what she pictured from him.

“So? Buffy?” Willow questioned, everyone else had their gazes steadily on Buffy.

“Sorry. What?”

“So now that the Nerd Herd is officially in custody, and the threat of going evil has been averted... What's next?”

“Oh. Well you know, continue patrolling and regularly go to work for money.”

Xander smiled, he could always appreciate a bad joke. “I think Wills was talking more about our personal friend Buffy and less about the Slayer Buffy.”

Spike. They all wanted to know what was going to happen with her and Spike. Wow, that couldn't have been the hardest question to ask her. What was she suppose to say? Well, we are getting married in the fall, an outside wedding, and moving up state to have three children in a house with a white picket fence. She thought wryly. “Honestly, I don't know. Spike agreed to take that tea stuff again and I guess that means...” She paused, unsure of how to go on, after all, she didn't know what any of this meant for them. It would probably be best if she were to speak to him first about everything that had transpired and try to sort out their feelings for one another.

Xander offered his opinion before anyone else, “Well I for one, still don't like the guy.” All the girls’ heads swiveled to stare at him in disbelief of his inappropriate announcement. “But... we all just want you to be happy Buff. And if that means you dating...,” he paused as he tried to gather enough bearings to say his name out loud, “Spike, so be it. Plus, once he is human again and all with the soul having, I guess giving him a chance isn't so crazy.”

With the mention of Spike's possible soul, Buffy harshly turned her head, ready to avoid the talk. She still had no clue if what she heard that night the graveyard was true or real for that matter. She was badly beaten and drifting in between consciousness.

“Ummm...” Tara meekly raised her hand, looking down at the floor. She didn't have to look up to see the room was focusing on her. “Actually, I did some more research about the spell that changed Spike.”

“And?” Buffy questioned, her tone much harder than she intended.

Finally, Tara looked up at the expecting faces, concentrating on Buffy mostly. “From everything I g-gathered, it seems the spell itself only did w-what we thought- make him real.”

“What does that mean exactly?”

“That physically it restored him to his human self, but not more. To conjure a soul restoration would be a d-different spell entirely.”

Buffy looked down, disappointed with what she was hearing. “So before, when Spike was alive... he didn't have...” Before now it was purely speculation, which meant it was easy to deny, but now hearing it from Tara meant it was real.

Tara offered a sincere smile, hating that the hope in her friends eyes faded with each word she spoke. “But that doesn't mean anything. H-he still loves you and,” she paused, looking at Willow for help.

“And he still helped on the side of the good!” The red head said, hoping to make the light at the end of the tunnel brighter. “I have the ingredients for the tea still, if you decide you want...,” Willow let her words drift off, noticing Buffy's face had fallen at the mention of the potion.

Dawn stood up, walking over to stand in front of her sister. “Buffy, do you love him?”

That question really threw her for a loop. The first thought that came to her mind was 'How could I not? After everything...,' but she kept coming back to the fact her friends wouldn't understand what happened between them. Buffy's eyes drifted to each person in the room. Xander sat patiently, trying hard to bite his tongue from any retort. Willow and Tara had soft smiles upon their lips, ready to stand by whatever Buffy chose. Dawn provided a simple question for Buffy to answer with honesty. It was then that she felt the swift kick. Realizing no matter what she said in response, her friends would support her.

“Thank you.” Buffy hugged Dawn with a new found strength before leaving quickly to find the vampire in question.
Chapter 21 by Hostile17
Author's Notes:
Here is the last chapter! I hope everyone reading enjoyed this story!
Chapter 21


It was a perfect night for a vampire. The air was crisp, allowing specific scents to be tracked and pinpointed without the many distractions of others drifting about. The temperature was still warm enough for the human variety to be comfortable outside, posing as prey without realizing. The moon was casting strange shadows as the clouds passed by, giving any predator the advantage of stealth. Yes, everything about tonight was perfect for a vampire. But not him.

Almost twenty minutes had gone by since Spike had slipped away from the Scooby Gang. He sat on the banister of the small deck just outside the back door. Already, a pile of cigarettes rested in the grass below his dangling feet. His head had been filled with racing thoughts ever since the fight with Colton earlier that evening. Everything flitted through his head, including, his past to present memories, what could have happened if Buffy got the wrong end of Colt's fang tonight, how he and Buffy were suppose to act after it all, and if she still felt the same way as she did before. The latter was the one he spent most of his time on. Going back and forth about what she said the past few days and about what she said she felt about him just a few weeks ago. Disgusted. Disgusted for allowing herself to sleep with a soulless creature. He wasn't sure what the right thing to do was anymore. And was Colton right? Even if he did live out a human life, would it be without a soul? Would he tell Buffy that it was all a lie, or simply allow her to come to her own conclusions? God, he needed a drink. With all the pandemonium filling his noggin, he didn't hear the back door open.

“Spike?”

Turning his head to the side, he noticed Buffy standing beside him, the kitchen's light behind her made it look like she was glowing. “Buffy.” Swinging his legs over the rail, stepping onto the deck so that he could face her, “S' everything alright?”

“Yeah.” Buffy held a mug with both hands, stepping forward carefully, “I just- Well, I thought- Maybe-” My God, what is wrong with you? He's going to think you have a speech impediment!

The lines between his brows continued creasing as he tried waiting patiently for her to say what she was trying so hard to spit out. As he waited, he let his gaze drift away from her face and down to the mug she carried in her hands. Putting up all five of his digits in an attempt to stop her from, whatever it was she was trying to accomplish, “I understand. Why waste time, yeah?” Without speaking any further, he reached out, grabbing the cup from her grasp, and pouring its contents into his mouth.

She didn't stop him. She couldn't really. But her eyes opened widely as he took the mug from her and began drinking. She thought it was comical the way his own eyes went big after the first big gulp, but he continued sucking down the liquid until it was empty. When he slowly lowered the glass from his lips, she had to hold back a giggle. “So...”

“So.” Spike ran his fingertips through his hair, “Well, tha' wasn't what I thought it would be.”

It was too hard to keep it in. Buffy finally cracked a smile, reaching up with her index finger to gently wipe away the crimson traces outlining his upper lip, “I noticed.”

Spike could tell she was holding in her amusement, not by much, but when she pulled her hand away, he couldn't help but join in the mirth. They both erupted into laughter for numerous reasons. “When did this become so hard, luv?”

“I don't know.” Though her smile still shone through, she was able to sober herself with the thought of Spike's question. Why was it so hard to talk to him all of a sudden? She had no real answer; instead she decided to be honest like she should have from the beginning. She thought it was best to start with something easy. “I just thought maybe you were hungry.”

“Thanks. Was rather delicious actually,” Spike told her as he set the mug on the top of the wooden railing.

“I was going for remarkably tasty, but delicious will do. I added some stuff on a trail basis. A smidge of ginger and pinch cayenne pepper.” This was going well, keep it simple and casual.

“Where's the magically enhanced tea that Red mixed up earlier? Thought you were ridin' on that so I'd be human again.” Spike rushed out the words without thinking.

She blinked. Somehow simple just took a death defying leap. “Spike...,” she breathed, “Tara told me that even when you were walking around with a beating heart,” she paused once more in hopes of gaining courage. “Spike, you never got your soul back.”

No doubt now that Colton had been correct. Something inside Spike ignited. “So I guess your gesture with the blood jus' now was a peace offering, that it? Kick ol' Spike to the curb after learnin' the truth.”

Buffy shook her head, “Actually, I thought I would come out here to tell you you're a moron!” Spike seemed to respond to her name calling because he shut his mouth with a click of his teeth. “Yeah, you! I wanted to tell you that taking that potion again doesn't matter to me! The past few days have shown me exactly what you’re capable of!”

“So all the right things I did by you doesn't matter to you?! That's jus' great! Tell a fella you care for em', an tell em' you-”

“Can you shut up?! I am trying to tell you that I was stupid!”

“Oh. Well go on then.”

“I was dumb. Dumb to think that your soul had an impact on your feelings.” Buffy was able to calm herself down, taking his hand with hers, “Spike, I want you to do what you want. If you want to stay like this or if you want to drink that stuff, it doesn't matter to me. The past few days have been... amazing. I didn't see that before, I didn't want to, but I do now. I love you.”

How could he be so daft? Why did he always jump to conclusions instead of letting her speak? He really thought he deserved a good walloping right about now. Spike knew if he spoke, he could potentially ruin the moment even further. Instead he brought her hand to his lips, kissing her palm gently. “I'm sorry.”

Buffy looked up through her lashes, shivering from all the emotions running inside her. Before she knew it, she wrapped her arms around his neck; his hands gripped her waist tightly, pulling her against his chest. Spike steadied her as she rose up on her tip-toes, allowing their lips to join in a light kiss. He held her there as she turned her head slightly to nuzzle his neck. “Stay here tonight.”

That caught him off guard. Reeling his head back so he could see her face, “Here?” Buffy wanted him to stay with her at her house? With all her friends inside knowing? Did they know how strong her feelings for him were?

“Unless you don't want to-,” she hurried to say.

“Don' be silly, Luv. Course I will.”

****

Every night just kept getting better and better. Spike wondered if the time spent with her would always keep trumping the last. After their moments outside, she took his hand in hers, leading him inside. She deliberately stopped in the living room where the gang was still talking about the big night, and told them they were going upstairs because she was tired after everything that had transpired.

He stayed quiet the entire trip to her room, only speaking once the door was closed. They talked about whatever came to their minds as Buffy got ready for sleep. Mostly frivolous things, but once or twice Buffy casually mentioned coming home to him after work. He didn't dig for more, but couldn't help but wonder if she was already thinking about living together. That topic was all he thought about until she came back from the bathroom. He built elaborate schemes in his mind about the daily domestic lives they would lead together.

With her nightly routine finished, she stepped back into her room. Yawning loudly, Buffy put her hand over her mouth, “Hey.” She walked over to the side of the bed he was sitting, his pants the only article of clothing left on him. Lifting her left leg to rest beside his thigh, then the right to fully straddle him. Spike's hands slid to her back, keeping her steady. Buffy bowed her head, her lips seeking his. Spike broke from the kiss first, gently rubbing his bottom lip along her jaw until he reached the tender skin at her neck.

He sucked lightly at the pulse point before nipping between kisses. For a moment, he thought she tilted her head back to moan from pleasure, but when he heard another yawning sigh, he stopped. “You're right knackered, pet,” he cooed into her.

Buffy made an apologetic face, “Sorry, I just-”

Pulling back he said, “Ssh. It's alright. Sleep. We have all day tomorrow.” Without waiting for a response, Spike lifted her off him, and onto the bed. One arm was wrapped around her, pulling her into him, as the other stroked her upper arm. Though he wanted nothing more than to make love to her in her own bedroom, a personal space of hers, which she invited you into, he reminded himself, he decided holding her close throughout the night while she slept would be just as gratifying.

****

Birds were chirping, the sun was shining, and the smell of something burning filled the air. Buffy was sound asleep, something she wasn't able to be accustomed to being The Slayer. A rattle near by broke her from slumber, but she refused to open her eyes because she knew if she did she would never get back to sleep. She could feel the light warming her skin and a burning smell filling her nostrils. Buffy sat up suddenly after realizing the weight of his arm was no longer around her. Spike! Oh God, I forgot the close the blinds! She thought wildly as her eyes did a quick scan of the room. The space next to her was empty, but no dust. She turned her head around, spotting him next to the window, his hand still on the shades' string. Overreact much?

“Rise and shine, sweetheart.” Spike smiled, taking a few strides towards her before giving her a small kiss on the forehead. “Red's making breakfast. Or smells like she's tryin' anyway.”

“Good morn-,” Buffy cut herself off, “Spike?”

Raising a brow, he responded, “Buffy?”

“You have no shirt.”

His other brow went down, confused he shook his head, “I was goin' to put one on before we nibble.”

“No. I mean you have no shirt, no blanket, and your standing in front of a window. A window that is letting in big buckets of sun.”

Spike's mouth stretched into a smile. “I thought about what you said. Last night? An' I kept comin' back to the fact that I couldn't just let the opportunity of being with you in the daylight slip away. I know it means tha' I won't be the strongest fighter at your side, but if that nancy boy you call a friend, Xander, can stand up to the best of 'em, I think with training I got a right shot. Jus' need to learn the strength and limitations of what being a human is.”

Buffy launched into his embrace, crushing her lips to his in a wild haste. “I don't know what to say.”

“Don' need to,” he said, resuming the kiss, pushing past her lips with his tongue, deepening the passion. “I love you, Buffy.”

Big eyes stared up at him, her bottom lip quivering ever so slightly, “I love you too.” She continued the kiss for a moment before breaking away and slightly shaking her head. “You never stop amazing me. What you've done? What you've given up?”

Spike glanced at the floor, almost bashful. “If it means a chance at us...” Taking a breath to gain control of his emotions, “Then none of the rest matters.”

“But it does.” She reached up to his face, allowing her fingertips to gently brush along his jaw before cupping his cheek. “It matters to me. And I won't forget it.”

Before they could continue where they left off, the bedroom's door swung open. “Food's ready!” Dawn announced before rushing off in a clatter down the stairs.

Buffy looked down, almost disappointed, “We have all day though, right?”

“I'm not goin' anywhere, Luv.”

With his declaration of his devotion, and her want to make it work, Buffy knew what he said was true. Spike wasn't going anywhere, but more importantly, neither was she.



The End.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=37479