Dark Gift by Schehrezade
Summary: Set during Buffy v Dracula, then goes seriously AU after that! Buffy is missing, and Spike is the only one who has noticed. Where is Buffy, and why is Spike the only one who is worried? Be warned there is non con sex between Buffy, Drac and his Brides for the first few chappies.
Categories: Serial Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Action, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 156908 Read: 44347 Published: 08/27/2004 Updated: 01/05/2006

1. Chapter 1 by Schehrezade

2. chapter 2 by Schehrezade

3. Chapter3 by Schehrezade

4. Chapter 4 by Schehrezade

5. Chapter 5 by Schehrezade

6. Chapter 6 by Schehrezade

7. Chapter 7 by Schehrezade

8. Chapter 8 by Schehrezade

9. Chapter 9 by Schehrezade

10. Chapter 10 by Schehrezade

11. Chapter 11 by Schehrezade

12. Chapter 12 by Schehrezade

13. Chapter 13 by Schehrezade

14. Chapter 14 by Schehrezade

15. Chapter 15 by Schehrezade

16. Chapter 16 by Schehrezade

17. Chapter 17 by Schehrezade

18. Chapter 18 by Schehrezade

19. Chapter 19 by Schehrezade

20. Chapter 20 by Schehrezade

21. Chapter 21 by Schehrezade

22. Chapter 22 by Schehrezade

23. Chapter 23 by Schehrezade

24. Chapter 24 by Schehrezade

25. Chapter 25 by Schehrezade

26. Chapter 26 by Schehrezade

27. Chapter 27 by Schehrezade

28. Chapter 28 by Schehrezade

29. Chapter 29 by Schehrezade

30. Chapter 30 by Schehrezade

31. Chapter 31 by Schehrezade

32. Chapter 32 by Schehrezade

33. Chapter 33 by Schehrezade

34. Chapter 34 by Schehrezade

35. Chapter 35 by Schehrezade

36. Chapter 36 by Schehrezade

37. Chapter 37 by Schehrezade

Chapter 1 by Schehrezade
Dark Gift

Disclaimer: Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy own all the characters contained within. I hold no claim on them.

To RSK for all her hard work and support! Thank you!

Peta who saved my bacon with her FAB betaing - go read her fic Taste of Juilet

Italics = Thoughts


Chapter One


There's trouble in Restfield. Need the Slayer to sort it," Spike commented as he sauntered into the Magic Box. "Bloody demons chanting and raucous shaggin', equal a bloke's sleep being disturbed!"

Five figures glanced up from the research table and eyed the vampire with varying degrees of disinterest.

Giles removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes tiredly. "Who? And why do we care if you can't sleep?"

Spike blinked at the older man's question. He hesitated at the front of the shop, unwilling to come in any further. The blond vampire was acutely aware of the dislike and, in some cases, out right hatred that he evoked in the so-called "White Hats" of Sunnyhell.

The petite redhead at the table frowned; her eyes blanked slightly as she tried to seize whatever memory was hovering just out of her grasp. "Slayer? Is this one of your mind games, Spike?" Willow asked, her curiosity slightly peaked.

Spike's jaw dropped. "Are you all stoned? Oi! Captain Cardboard! You can't have forgotten your main squeeze," Spike spat out the last few words, suppressing the
jealously that tinged them. He began to pace.

Riley frowned. "Main squeeze? What the hell are you talking about, Hostile 17? I don't have a girlfriend." Riley's tried to stop his hand from moving to the bite tracks on his inner arms, left by his latest vampire conquest.

Spike pulled out a cigarette and lit it, ignoring both Anya and Giles' pointed glares. "Is this 'bug the crap outta Spike' night? Slayer, about so high..." Spike held his hand at shoulder height. "Blonde with big hazel green eyes and a nice rack." Spike paused for a moment. 'Nice rack? Where the bloody hell did that come from?'

"A friend of yours, Spike? 'Cos I have to say; I wouldn't be surprised if you knew someone named Slayer. I mean some of the lowlifes you associate with, honestly." Anya tilted her head slightly and watched with poorly concealed amusement the sight of the blond vampire's jaw dropping with his half smoked cigarette attached to his bottom lip.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you lot?" Spike plucked the cigarette from his lip and threw it to the floor in a flash of anger. "She's called Buffy," Spike hooked his thumbs in his waistband and rocked on his heels waiting for some sort of reaction. The frustration was radiating off his tense form. "Buffy Summers, your friend and protector of all that is good and right! Right stuck up little prig, prone to smashing me on the nose for the hell of it? Ring a bell?"

Willow felt something in the pit of her stomach when the obviously agitated vampire mentioned that strange name. 'What was it again?'

"Look, Spike, we don't have time for your stupid games." Giles sneered as he stalked over to the peroxide blond vampire, his Ripper persona in full force. He grabbed the
smaller man and pinned him to a display case. "I want you to piss off like a good boy." With that, Giles dragged the stunned and unresisting vampire to the door and threw him out. Slamming it shut, the Englishman locked it before Spike could re-enter.

"Willow, we really need to work on a dis-invite for public places. Now, back to the subject at hand. Dracula."

"The Initiative has agreed to help out. I contacted Graham. He and a select group are coming over." Riley leant forward and smiled earnestly. "It'll be good to see them again."

"You remember to 'just say no' this time, right?" Anya peered over the book she was reading.

Riley smiled. "Yeah, I do...Don't worry, guys. I wouldn't go back, not after everything you did for me."

"Well, we worry about you. I mean you are my favourite demon-fighting T.A. I can't believe those goobers were pumping you up with drugs!" Willow pouted. Tara ran
her fingers through Willow's fiery locks, calming her irritated lover.

"Honey, it's okay. We managed to save him, and Riley got rid of Adam, so we're all okay now." The usually silent blonde added, "We just need to find a way of getting Xander out from Dracula's control before we can stake him and his nasty B..Brides." Tara stumbled over word as a faint memory of blonde hair and red leather trousers flashed through her mind.

"Tara! What is it, sweetie?" Willow sensed her girlfriend's distress for a spilt second.

"Nothing. I just..." Tara shrugged, a fine line appeared between her fair eyebrows. "Spike really was weird just now. What did he mean by Slayer?"

Giles looked over. "Absolutely no idea what the idiot was talking about. Riley, remind me a again why we haven't put him out of our misery?"

"Because it's wrong, Giles. He can't fight back. He's impotent...flaccid." Riley tried not to show too much glee at his words and failed miserably, much to the delight of
the others.

Giles stared at ex-Initiative soldier, his words tickled at the edges of his subconscious. The man could see Spike chained in his tub and someone leaning over and feeding
him. The image vanished in a flash, and the tweed-clad man shook his head, forgetting the images and sighed. "We need to get something on Dracula and rescue Xander before it's too late." Giles reached over and patted Anya's hand reassuringly. "Don't worry, we'll get him back."

"I hope so. I will have to disinfect him thoroughly. I mean, how disgusting, devouring spiders." Anya shuddered delicately.

*******

Spike stood outside the Magic Box, his blue eyes widening with every overheard word. "Bloody hell! Drac's around? Sodding bastard owes me eleven quid with interest. Hang on!" Spike peered into the shop window and watched as the Scoobies laughed and researched. "They have no idea who the Slayer is. What the hell is going on?"

Then the Watcher's final words sunk in. "Rescue puffy boy? Wonder what the hell the git's gotten himself into?"

Spike froze. He could feel something inhuman watching him. The Cockney vampire twisted slowly and scanned the street. His nostrils flared as the vampire scented the air. It was familiar. Spike casually looked up, out of the corner of his eye he spotted the large grey wolf. It was sitting on the rooftop of one of the shops further down the street. 'Something's not right here.' Spike snorted, he lit another cigarette and leant on the wall next to the Magic Shop. He held the animal's gaze until it turned and loped off, all the while listening in on the muted conversations of the Slayer's friends.

'Why the bloody hell am I worried about the blonde bint? Should be soddin' glad she's vanished. I'm not effing Peaches!' Spike thought angrily to himself. But the former
Scourge of Europe's mind was filled with Buffy's large, serious eyes and a flash of Joyce's concerned face. Spike balled his fists in frustration. He had a soft spot for the
elder Summers woman; the chipped Vampire spun on his heel and dashed off towards Revello Drive.

*******

"Did Spike say there were demons chanting and having sex in his cemetery?" Anya peered over her research book. "'Cos if that's so, it may not be a good combination, maybe someone should...you know."

Willow and Riley stood.

Giles glanced up. "Yes, right, the two of you should go. Please be careful."

"See you later, sweetie." Willow leant over and pressed a gentle kiss to Tara's lips.

"Be careful okay?" Tara eyed her lover worriedly; this was the part of Willow's life she hated. But Willow had the power to fight demons, and with Riley's army training they were an unstoppable force.

Willow nodded and followed Riley out of the store into the night.

"You have any idea what Spike was talking about?" Riley asked as they strode down Main Street.

"That Buffy girl?" Willow felt a tingle in her stomach. "No idea! But he seemed real positive we knew who she was."

"No one you know from class?" Riley suggested.

Willow thought for a moment. "Nope, not from class and I don't think there was anyone called that in High School. Kinda a weird name, though."

"Very Valley Girl, ditzy name, isn't it?" Riley shrugged ending the conversation.

*******

Spike stood under the tall tree outside the Slayer's house and watched as Joyce moved from room to room. Spike waited until the older woman disappeared into the kitchen before climbing onto the roof. The agile vampire crept over the shingles and peered into the Slayer's room. Everything was still there down to the irritating pig sitting on her bed. Spike sagged against the window frame with relief. The vampire tried to ignore the emotions rolling through his body, which had been evoked from the realisation that the pain in his arse was not completely erased from Sunnydale.

"Spike?" Joyce's voice startled the vampire and sent him flying off the roof in a flurry of curses and growls.

"Soddin' hell, woman!" Spike growled. He lay at Joyce's feet, the blonde woman smiled down at the humiliated vampire.

"You okay?" She asked, her warm voice filled with concern.

Spike closed his eyes as embarrassment flooded him. "Yeah, feel like a right nit though! Creature of the night here and I jump like a pansy and fall off your roof."

Joyce reached down and pulled the vampire to his feet. "Come on, I'll get some cocoa going and we can catch up."

Spike trotted after the gentle woman. "So where's the Slayer?"

"Who?" Joyce turned and looked over at the pole-axed demon standing behind her.

Spike felt his stomach knot and a shiver ran down his spine. 'The Slayer's own mother has no idea who or where she is.'

"What room was I just looking into?" Spike decided to play it safe rather than start blathering on about missing daughters.

"The spare room? You know, the one I offered to you to stay in, why?" Joyce pulled Spike into the house and headed into the kitchen. "Marshmallows?" Joyce turned with the bag in her hand. "You okay?" She frowned at Spike's worried expression.

"Wot? Um, yeah. Love marshmallows, ta, pet."

"Spike, are you okay? You look really worried!" Joyce exclaimed as she reached for Spike.

The vampire remained silent, he could smell the Slayer all over and the scent was driving him nuts. He had no idea what to do or say. He automatically took the mug of
hot cocoa and sipped it.

"Mum?"

"Yes, Spike, what is it?" Joyce sat down at the breakfast bar and pulled the preoccupied vampire down next to her.

"If you knew someone was missing and needed help what would you do?" Spike blew on his hot drink, his eyes never leaving the woman who sat next to him. He was
shocked by the idea that she had wanted him to live in her home, but at the moment was more focused on using her as a moral guide.

"I'd try and help, maybe call the police. Or is this one of those mystical thingies we don't mention?" Joyce sipped at her mug.

Spike stood. "Right! Help...I guess I could do that?" He tilted his head and looked at his only friend for approval.

Joyce reached over and patted him on the arm. "Yes, you could, Spike, I think you could help a great deal." Before she could add anything else, Spike disappeared with a
burst of vampiric speed into the night.
chapter 2 by Schehrezade
Dediction: To Peta for amazing betaing and support - thank you

Thank you for the reviews I recieved and as a treat another chappie

!A/N: A vague warning a certain male Scoobie is acting out of character here and will be for the next couple of chapters. It's part of the plot and he is under the influence of a certain vampire. So don't worry he'll be okay, I just needed this to happen for the plot to develop. If you've read Dracula or seen the film then you'll get the Renfield aspects of Xander.

Single quote marks= thoughts

Chapter 2

Spike ran through the streets of Sunnydale for most of the night, trying to catch a scent trail of the missing Slayer. All the while wondering why only he saw evidence of the Slayer's life, her room, and her intoxicating scent. All his memories of fighting her and exchanging verbal barbs were intact; unlike her nearest and dearest who had no idea who he was talking about. Spike stumbled to a halt, 'Hang on! Nearest and dearest! The Poof!'

Spike ran towards a payphone and dug through his pockets, searching for change. He then stopped, realising he didn't know the old sod's number. He wracked his brain trying to recall the conversations he had eavesdropped on when he was chained in the Watcher's tub.

"Come on! Spike! Think! What was the name of the ponce's pathetic business?" Spike sank to the pavement and sat on the curb, resting his head in his hands, trying to remember what the Slayer and Red had chattered about all those weeks ago. Half starved and terrified, he had not been focused on the others, too busy moping and wondering what the hell would become of him.

What had become of him? One moment he hated Buffy and now... now he was trying to save her? Spike sighed; he avoided the dark corner of his undead heart, the area he had locked away after Red's 'My Will be Done' spell. The memories of the Slayer's hot little body wriggling all over him, the stolen kisses and the furtive groping. Mostly, he tried to suppress the memories of how right it had felt holding her.

The depth of the feelings she evoked in him, then and now, terrified the vampire as much as they elated him, something that, until now, he had not allowed himself to investigate.

"That's it! Angel Investigations." Spike leapt to his feet and grabbed for the phone. He reached the operator and within seconds he was connected to the number, it rang for several long moments.

"Angel Investigations, we help the hopeless."

Spike rolled his eyes at the chirpy voice. "All right, Cheerleader?"

"Who is this?" Cordelia's sharp tones demanded.

"Umm...is Peaches around?" Spike twisted the phone's cord around one long finger.

"Spike! Spike? What are you doing calling here?" Cordelia's voice became even colder.

"Look, I ain't got time to shoot the breeze with yah, I need to have a chat with m'Grandsire about the Slayer," Spike growled impatiently.

"Buffy? What have you done with her? If you've hurt her in any way I'll..."

Spike's undead heart leapt. "You know Buff...who I'm talking about?" He could've kissed the annoying bint if she had been near him!

"Yeah, I know Buffy. Spike, what the hell is wrong with you? Has the bleach finally melted your brain?"

Spike slammed the receiver down and did what looked suspiciously like a Snoopy dance. He punched the air and yelled at the top of his lungs. "Yes!" He collected himself and glanced up and down the street making sure no one had seen his antics.

The phone began to ring behind him. Reaching over, he picked up the receiver. "Uhh...hullo?"

"Spike?"

The peroxide blond vampire winced at the annoying sound of his Grandsire's voice. "Peaches! How are they hangin', mate? Should be nice and blue by now!"

"What are you ringing here asking about Buffy for? If you've hurt her in any way, I'll..."

"Yeah, yeah, rip me a new one, I know." Spike's mind raced, trying to think of a cover story. Last thing he needed was the brooding one sweeping in here and saving the day.

"Why did you call about Buffy?" Angel snarled.

"Uh... no reason, really. Was just wondering if you were still hankering after her?" Spike smirked evilly.

There was a pause. Angel drew in an unneeded breath. "Spike, has life got so boring you need to give me crank calls?"

"Yeah. Catch you later, Peach fuzz!" Spike slammed down the phone and stalked off into the night.

"So the Ponce remembers the Slayer, which means the spell is localised." Spike pondered to himself as he wandered through a small park. "Think, Spike. Who could cast a glamour over the Scoobies and the Slayer's Mum?" Spike began to pace in circles as he contemplated his and the Slayer's predicament. He desperately tried to remember when he had last seen the bint. It'd been two nights ago, just before Captain Cardboard had come to ask him about...

Spike stopped stock-still, as inspiration finally struck. "Oh, how bloody stupid am I?" Spike slapped his forehead. Of course! The blond vampire shook his head, this stank of Dracula and his gipsy tricks.

"You really want me to answer that, Fangless?"

Spike turned to face the newcomer, a sardonic smile lighting his face. He couldn't resist needling the boy; he was evil, wasn't he? "Well if it isn't Drac's new butt monkey! How's the Renfield position working out for yah, Whelp?"

Xander stepped forward, twisting his fingers and picking at the scabs on his cuticles. "Don't call me that! The Dark Master is my friend, he has promised to make me a creature of the night!"

Spike looked at the idiot facing him, dressed in his usual hideous Hawaiian shirt and baggy trousers, which were good for disguising the extra pounds the prat had put on. He arched his scarred brow. "So, eat any nummy spiders lately? Your demon bint is not a happy girl. I think she gonna have you dipped in sheep dip before she'll go anywhere near you!" Spike taunted the floppy git, his loathing for the boy apparent
in his voice.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut Up!" Xander's voice echoed shrilly through the small park.

Spike watched through hooded eyes, he needed to get the idiot riled up enough that he would bolt for Drac's, in turn leading him there and hopefully to the Slayer. Spike figured that the Slayer had obviously gone to stake the show-off and had been snagged by the Transylvanian gipsy, who had, in turn, made sure that none of her mates and family remembered her. But why?

-------------

Joyce remained seated at the breakfast counter. She held the now cool mug in her hands. She glanced over at Spike's half drunk mug and frowned. She had never seen her midnight visitor so agitated and behaving so strangely. His anxiety and odd questions had unnerved her.

Rising, the middle-aged woman carried to mugs to the sink and washed them out automatically. Once she had finished, the tired woman trudged upstairs. Pausing on the landing, Joyce pushed open the door of the room Spike had been peering into from her roof.

She stumbled for a moment and blinked. Shaking her head, Joyce stared at the room as it changed before her eyes. Posters appeared on the walls, photographs of a blonde girl and her friends popped into existence before her startled eyes. Joyce raised a hand to her throat and stepped into the transformed room. Her eyes scanned the contents as confusion spread across her face, finally alighting on a small stuffed pig, which sat on the bed.

"Buffy?" she whispered as she collapsed in a dead faint on the floor.

-----------

"How many is that for tonight?" Willow called from her perch
on top of a crumbling mausoleum.

Riley wiped his forehead with the back of his arm and stuffed a stake into the pocket of his jacket. "Seven, I think. Should we try Spike's cemetery and see of those demons are there?"

Willow floated down to the ground. "Sure, why not? I mean, we checked once but maybe they are there now."

The two protectors of Sunnydale disappeared into the night, both unaware of their silent observer. A large grey wolf turned and streaked away into the night
-------------

"It's impossible!" Anya slammed the book shut and a cloud of dust floated from it, causing her to sneeze.

"What is?" Tara asked mildly. She carefully turned the page of the Compendium she was reading.

"Xander. He is the only one who can break Dracula's hold. There's nothing we can do!" Anya threw her arms up and paced over to the cash till, reaching in to fondle to bills, trying to calm herself.

Giles nodded in agreement. "We need to capture Xander and reason with him."

"We could lay down a trail of dead bugs for him," Tara muttered under her breath. Giles glanced over at the usually quiet Wiccan, his mouth twitched at the corners.

"I heard that!" Anya whipped around and tried to glare at
Tara, but failed and collapsed into a giggling pile on the floor. Giles cleared his throat, trying to compose himself, but began to laugh, propping himself up with his hands on his knees. Tara blushed slightly and eventually their infectious laughter was too much. She began to giggle as well.

Giles wiped the tears from his cheeks. "I'm sorry, Anya, but really, the foolish boy is always getting into the most ridiculous scrapes! Hyena possession, falling for a Incan Mummy who then tried to suck his essence from him and... Oh! He also nearly turned into a sea monster!" With that Giles burst into a gale of laughter. "Honestly, if it wasn't for
Bu...Willow, he would be the sex slave of a Preying Mantis or worse." Giles froze when he realised his slip. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. Another flash of blond hair filled his mind and a vaguely remembered conversation, something about cats for shoes.

------------

"So, Whelp, what you doing lurkin' in the park at night? Cruising or something?" Spike drawled, hoping that the jibe about the nit's sexuality might finally provoke Xander into running home to his Master. He needed someone to show him the way, the vampire didn't want to waste anymore time searching.

"What?" Xander looked over that his nemesis in confusion.

"You know, cruisin' for a boyfriend? Why else would you be out at this time, wandering through a park?" Spike folded his arms and mentally counted. 'One...two...three.'

"You're disgusting, Spike!" With that, Xander turned and began to run.

Spike waited a beat and then began to follow the panting boy.

----------

"And, of course, only in Sunnyhell!" Spike muttered under his breath as he watched Xander disappear into the sodding great castle that stood in front of the vampire. Spike was familiar with the entire area and knew that the gothic monstrosity that stood before him had not been there a few days ago. It had been a dog pound.

Spike squatted down behind some bushes and waited. He sniffed the air and a wide smile painted across his face. 'Slayer's been here and not too long ago.'

Spike crawled closer to the castle. He wanted to have a scout round before entering the proverbial lion's den. 'Now what do I do? I'm not a bloody hero. How do I rescue her?'
------------------

"Master? Master!" Xander yelled as he ran through the ornately furnished corridors of the castle. He stumbled to a halt in the great hall.

Dracula was seated at the head of the table tended by his three vampiric brides. The tallest looked over at the sweating mortal and grimaced. She flounced out of the hall without a word.

The room was candlelit and a roaring fire was at the other end of the long dining table. The minstrel's gallery was behind the Master vampire, where a blindfolded trio of musicians played their instruments. Dracula inhaled deeply, enjoying the stench of fear pouring off the soon to be dead musicians.

"What is it you want, little man?" Vlad the Impaler pushed away the two fawning female vampires and allowed one to settle at his feet and rest her head in his lap. His hand lay on her head, playing with her soft locks.

Xander glanced down briefly at the female vampire and frowned. "I...I want you, Master."

Dracula eyed to sweating boy with an amused glint to his eyes. "And you have me."

"Please." Xander sank to his knees. "Please, make me one of yours! I want the dark gift! Please, I need it," Xander sobbed.
Dracula rolled his eyes at the pathetic mess before him. He had no intention of granting the begging boy's wishes. The mortal had been a means to an end, nothing more. "All in good time, my son."

"Yeah right! Come on, Drac. You and I both know that you're never gonna lay a fang on the Whelp!" Spike drawled as he entered the hall. He stood, dramatically framed in the arched doorway, slipping his hands in his pockets. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, exhaling smoke through his nose the he eyed the brunette vampire and his simpering minion. Spike tried not to grin at the sight of the whelp simpering and fawning over the Transylvanian Master vampire. 'Trust Harris to be the weak-minded git who falls for Drac's mind tricks...' Spike sneered around his cigarette as he puffed on it.

"William the Bloody, it's been forever! Come take a seat." Dracula waved a hand to the seat at the other end of the table. He wanted as much room between the two of them as possible, acutely aware that the blond vampire was a deadly opponent if provoked. "How are you, my friend? Can't remember the last time we met in the killing fields."

"Been a while. Last time I saw you was in Venice, big poker game, remember?" Spike commented casually. As he flopped into the proffered chair, he swung one leg over the arm and eyed the vampire at the end of the long table. His black clad frame was relaxed, belying the tension that ran through the bleached blond vampire. Spike flicked the cigarette into the burning fire behind him, the flames dramatically lighting his sharp features.

"Wine?"

"Yeah, Puffy boy does that a lot!" Spike needled.

Dracula laughed. "True, he does, but the boy had his uses. I meant a drink."

One of the Brides appeared at Spike's shoulder and handed him a glass of red wine. Spike nodded his thanks. His nostrils flared at the scent of the Slayer, which saturated the woman next to him. He took a sip, his pale blue eyes never leaving his seated opponent. Spike sat casually, trying to act as though he didn't have a care in the world. He could tell that the Slayer was close; he could smell her all over the room.

"So what brings you here?" Dracula asked quietly.

"Heard you were in town, figured I could catch up with an old mate." Spike took a long drink from the glass, emptying it. He held it out towards the silent female next to him, who filled it without comment. Spike nodded his thanks and took a deep breath, deciding to gamble. He knew Drac had something to do with the Slayer vanishing, her scent was everywhere in the castle, strongest in the room he was lounging in now. "Also came to collect on a debt." Spike tossed out the comment casually, throwing down a gauntlet.
Dracula arched a dark brow. "A debt?"

Spike snorted. "Yeah, you owe me eleven quid plus ninety-odd years interest, which you named the rate at. You know it! If I hadn't given you that dosh, those Venetians would've tied you to the to the Dome of the Basilica and I doubt your gypsy tricks would've saved you!"

"True," Dracula conceded.

"Master, you don't owe him anything! Let me stake him," Xander piped up from his prostrate position on the floor.

"Silence!" Dracula bellowed. His shout caused the hidden female vampire at his feet to whimper in fear, drawing Spike's attention to her.

"You got someone under the table? Picked up that trick from Casanova, didn't you, Drac? She any good?" Spike teased. He leant over and peered under the table. He could make out a small form, whose head was resting in Dracula's lap. Spike couldn't make out her features.

"Leave us." Dracula ignored Spike and glared at Xander.

"But, Master! Please don't make me leave your divine presence," Xander begged as he crawled backwards out of the room.

"Go to my chambers and wait for me there," the dark haired vampire ordered.

"Oh, thank you, Master." Xander crawled the rest of the way out of the room. Spike watched him as he left with a large smile on his face.

"Man, that just made my unlife, seeing Floppy boy on his hands and knees." Spike raised his glass in a toast to Dracula.

Dracula turned his attention back to the Master Vampire. "In answer to your earlier question, yes, I do have someone here at my feet, allow me to introduce her." Dracula reached down and pulled the silent vampiress to her feet.

Spike choked on his wine as the small figure turned to face him. 'Jesus!' Spike mentally grimaced at his last comment, he felt the alien sensation of shame flood him.

"May I present my latest triumph...though I admit I was a bit disappointed." Dracula sighed.

"Bloody hell! You turned a Slayer?" Spike rose to his feet, the glass shattered in his hand.

"I did indeed." Dracula cupped Buffy's chin and turned her face towards Spike. "Show him," he ordered coldly.


Spike gripped the table, trying to stop himself from falling to his knees. He was too late. He couldn't understand the wave of anger and sorrow that flooded him, but he knew that there was no way he was leaving this godforsaken place without the Slayer. He felt disgusted with himself at his comment about Drac being served under the table, now that he knew who it was...

Buffy's eyes flashed into a pale lavender hue, much like her sire's, and she smiled, revealing her tiny needle sharp fangs.
"Good girl." Dracula stroked her shining blonde hair and patted her on the head.
Chapter3 by Schehrezade
single quote marks = thoughts

Spike stood frozen at the sight of Buffy's sharp fangs and pale lavender eyes. 'Christ, she's even more entrancing.' The smitten vampire blinked at his traitorous train of thought. 'She's your enemy, you ponce! Remember that!' Spike continued his inner diatribe, unaware that his presence and search for the forgotten Slayer negated all his pep talks to himself.

He shook his hand and then clenched it into a fist at his side before shoving it into his duster pocket. Spike was furious. Buffy being turned into something she fought was wrong...

Dracula watched the Aurelian Master Vampire closely; he was intrigued as to why Spike had come to his home visiting. He had his suspicions, and if he were correct, then it would work to his benefit and also discharge a debt to the Aurelian Vampire. To test the peroxide vampire, the Transylvanian Master allowed his hand to slid downwards and cup the turned Slayer's full backside and pulled her unresisting body against his.

Spike's eyes flashed gold for a brief second at the sight of the gypsy vampire openly fondling the diminutive blonde's soft curves and cradling her body against him. 'Don't react . Keep cool, if the bastard realises you're interested, then the game moves to a different level.' Spike reached over and grabbed the bottle of wine that was on the long table; he consciously steadied himself, trying not to let his hand shake.

Pulling the cork with his teeth, the fuming vampire took a long pull on bottle. "Nice pet you've got there. Bit on the silent side, though. How’d you manage that? Usually she yaps away, driving a bloke demented!" Spike smirked as he flopped back into his seat and propped his Doc Martin clad feet on the highly polished surface of the table. "May I?" With that, Spike snagged the vampiress that had served him earlier and pulled her giggling form onto his lap.

Dracula watched his old friend's hands as they trailed all over the body of his still giggling Bride. His eyes narrowed as Spike pulled her in for a kiss. Spike released his not so reluctant conquest and gestured for her to seat herself at the side of his chair. "Spike, that’s one of my favourites," the longhaired vampire warned good-naturedly as he re-took his seat.

Both of the male vampires were aware of the undercurrent of tension and chose to ignore it, covering their true feelings with bravado and banter.

Spike pulled away from the purring female's neck and focused on Dracula's amused face. The few seconds of kissing and holding the willing female had allowed Spike to regroup and calm down. All he could see, though, was Buffy's lifeless eyes and the horror filled eyes of Joyce when he told her of her daughter's turning. Well, if she remembered she had one, that was.

"Sorry, mate, but you have to admit she is rather cute!" Spike pressed a sloppy kiss on her forehead before taking another pull on the bottle he held in his free hand. His blue eyes narrowed as he watched Buffy rest her cheek against Drac's leather clad thigh and watch him impassively. "So, how'd you get your mitts on that one?" Spike gestured carelessly with the bottle at Buffy. "Looks pretty funny, that stuck up bint on her knees at your feet!" Spike added with a laugh that belied the anger at seeing the usually vibrant Slayer completely submissive and controlled by one that she hunted.

"It was simple, she was gifted to me," Dracula drawled as he reached down and pulled Buffy's limp arm to his mouth and then, to Spike’s barely contained anger, he sank his teeth into her skin and began to drink. Dracula tried not to grimace at the taste of his captive's blood, he could taste her anger and hatred, and the images that he saw filled him with fear. Pulling back, he licked his lips. "Delicious."

Spike's eyes narrowed as he honed in on one word. "Gifted?" He arched his scarred brow in question.

"Oh yes, it was quite simple. The fool who crawled out of here just now brought her to me." Dracula threw back his head and roared with laughter. "It was truly a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting the twitching idiot to bring me such a luscious gift, in the hope that I would turn him."

"The Whelp brought her?" Spike bit the side of his mouth to restrain his anger; he could feel the Initiative chip sending warning tingles through his cerebellum at the images of his skinning Harris alive for his betrayal of the Slayer. He covered his growing anger and agitation with a snort of laughter. "How did a nit like that manage to bring her to you?"

Dracula had sensed the gamut of emotions that the peroxide blond vampire had run through, and his interest was peaked. However, although he was still unwilling to end the game they were playing, he had found a way out of the predicament he was in. "Simple. He knocked her out and carried her here." He ran his fingers through Buffy's long hair in a smooth rhythm, soothing himself.

'Of course the soddin’ bint wasn't gonna suspect one of her best friends.’ Spike thought sadly. He had always considered the Scoobies to be a millstone around her neck ‘Her trust and blind faith in her Scoobies had been her downfall in the end.'

Spike sat watching Drac's hand; trying to remind himself he needed to get Buffy out of here. Before he cut the offending appendage off and shoved it up the show off's arse. Spike tried to ignore the pain that was amplifying in his head, due to the various elaborate and gruesome ideas he was developing to pay back the Whelp's betrayal. His eyes narrowed when he caught sight of Buffy's small form again. 'Need to get her out of here! Free and clear of the git and his mind tricks.'

"Did you hear me, Spike?" Drac leant forward and rested his chin on one hand.

"Yeah, I did, mate. So, one of her own brought her to you? Use your mind whammy on him to do so?" Spike drawled, his affected brogue dropping as a result of the depth of his emotions. Emotions, that in the space of a few minutes the vampire had accepted and decided not to fight against. He’d do some navel examining later once they were both safe.

He cared for the Slayer and, more importantly, he cared for Buffy. He wanted... no, needed to get her out of this pit of vipers and hopefully save her.

"No. He brought her of his own volition and, well, how could I resist?" Drac grinned wickedly.

"So, the Slayer pressie wasn't enough to earn him a turning?" Spike asked, his curiosity peaked.

Dracula shuddered elegantly. "Hardly! I mean, would you want that around for all eternity?" He waved a hand in the direction of the door, which Xander had exited.

"Hard enough putting up with him now." Spike laughed. He was frantically reviewing his dwindling options.

"True, but it is useful having a pet that can walk in daylight, so I will keep him around for a while." Dracula shrugged. "So, why are you really here?" The Transylvanian had bored with their verbal jousting and wanted to bring the meeting to a close.

"Umm." Spike's eyes flickered to Buffy's form for a second before settling on Drac's amused face.

"Come now, William. We both know you want my pet, the question is what shall I get in return?" Dracula threw down the verbal gauntlet and time froze.

----------------

Joyce rolled over with a groan and pushed herself to her knees. Rising unsteadily, she rubbed her face and wondered why she had passed out in the spare room.

Tiredly, she trudged down the hallway and into the Master bedroom, mechanically going through the motions of preparing for bed.

Joyce removed her makeup and earrings, placing the latter in a small glass dish on her dressing table, then pulled open a drawer, locating her hairbrush and beginning to pull it through her hair. Looking up in the mirror, Joyce gasped, a slim, blonde haired girl sat on her bed with a sad expression on her face.

The older woman turned around and looked over at her empty bed before turning back to the mirror and the young woman she could see in it.

"Mom? Mommy?" The small blonde's mouth moved and Joyce could hear her plaintive cries in her head.

"Oh. Sweetie." Joyce reached up and touched the image in her mirror and began to sob as the sad face faded away. "No! Come back. Please! I want..."

---------------

Giles sat in his apartment, a glass of whiskey in one hand and a book in the other. The classical music he had selected echoed through the empty apartment. The tired man took a sip of the amber liquid and scanned the page, a familiar word leaping out at him.

Slayer.

Giles sat up and peered at the cramped text. A flash of long blonde hair and a soaked formal white dress filled his mind for a brief moment.

-----------

Riley counted off his hundredth sit up and then stood. Reaching for a towel, he dried his torso and disappeared into his bathroom. The sound of the shower filled the room for a few minutes before the tall, ex-soldier reappeared and quickly dressed.

He slipped out of the apartment and disappeared into the night. As he walked, the soldier desperately scanned the seedy alleys of Sunnydale, searching for his girl.

----------------

Willow carefully undressed, dropping her clothes on the floor. She slipped under the covers and snuggled up against Tara's soft form. Sighing happily, the redhead wrapped her arms around her lover and drifted off to sleep.

Tara frowned and mumbled in her sleep, her dreams filled with a small blonde warrior who fought tenaciously.

------------------

"There you are, handsome! I've been looking all over for you."

Riley stopped and turned, a large smile across his face. "Hey, honey, I missed you." He loped over and wrapped his arms around the woman who had spoken to him.

"Missed this, more like." With that, the female vampire sank her teeth into the tall man's willing flesh.

Riley moaned and pulled her closer, his large hands cradling her head and stroking her long dark hair. He pulled the whore closer. The endorphins released into his system from her bite flooded him, filling him with a false sense of happiness and euphoria.


--------------

"In return?" Spike drawled.

"Certainly, if I am to gift you this prize of a turned Slayer, I need something in return for my largesse." Dracula seized Buffy by the hair and pulled her to her feet. The mute ex-Slayer hung limply in her Sire's grasp, like a marionette that had its strings cut.

Spike winced at Dracula's handling of the Slayer, as if she were a side of meat in a butcher shop window. The words escaped from his mouth before he could compose himself. "Don't do that!" He snarled as his eyes flashed gold and his face shifted.

Dracula watched amused. "Well, William, what a surprise."

"Let her go!" Spike growled and leapt to his feet, pushing the vampiress on his lap carelessly to the floor. He stalked over to Dracula, a pale lean hand snapped around Dracula's wrist. Spike pressed hard trying to get him to let go, his other hand rested gently in the small of Buffy's back. "I...said...you...Euro trash...scum, let the lady go!"

Dracula laughed and released his hold on Buffy's hair, she fell like a stone. Spike reached down and scooped her up and held her possessively against his chest. "You know, William, I'm always surprised at your depth of feelings for the fairer sex. That insane female you carted around for decades, Drusilla right? I never understood why you didn't put her out of her misery."

Spike growled half-heartedly at the insult thrown at his mad sire, but he wasn't too bothered anymore. His senses were filled with the exquisite scents of the small woman lying limply in his arms. His happiness faded when a more putrid scent rose from the golden girl in his arms. Spike's nostrils dilated at the scent of her bastard sire's seed drying on her inner thighs.

A growl rumbled from the depth of his chest, all pretence of disinterest gone, chased away with the knowledge that his Slayer had been violated by the pond scum smiling at him. He needed to get her away from Dracula right now.

Dracula chuckled at the anger in Spike's face. "Oh, come on. I had to sample the goods at least once, and I must say she was very unresponsive...truly disappointing, hence why..."

"You’re happy to hand her over to me ’cos she was a lousy shag? Charming, turn the poor bint and then toss her aside." Spike pulled Buffy even closer, his rage at the casual cruelty of the bastard sitting in front of him was inflaming his demon.

"So, we need to come to some sort of arrangement," Dracula drawled. He was desperate to get rid of his latest Childe and get away from this godforsaken town, after a few debts were paid, of course.

Spike stepped back, trying to distance himself and the Slayer from the Vampire seated at the dining table. "Here's an idea, I take the bird, you hand over any and all claim or control you have over her to me and we call it quits."

"Quits? I think not!"

"Look. The way I see it, you owe me and you owe me big," Spike snarled. “How so?" Dracula asked curiously.

"Eleven quid, plus interest. I worked it out mate. You owe me just under a million quid, what with the interest you agreed on with me. I have it in writing, so don't even try to weasel out of it!" Spike warned.

"So, you are willing to forget the debt if I give her to you? That is all you want, William the Bloody?"

Spike nodded. "And remove the gypsy tricks you've done on her mother, mates and Watcher," he added.

Dracula gave a sigh. "Okay." He was hesitant to mention that the magicks he had used on the Slayer’s family and friends was already wearing off.

"Do it now and then piss off outta Sunnyhell." Spike hesitantly held out the small bundle of Slayer in his arms. “Go on. Do the ritual,” he ordered.

Dracula stood, dismissing their silent witness. Soon, only the three of them stood in the massive dining hall, the sound of the crackling fire breaking through the tense silence.

"Do it!" Spike ordered, desperation tingeing his voice.

Dracula rose and pulled a small knife from his boot. "She has killed, you know."

Spike closed his eyes sadly and clenched his teeth. He gave a sharp nod. "I can smell it on her breath, you ninny. I’m not a complete git...How many?"

"One, and I had to order her to do it," Dracula explained as he slashed his wrist and pressed it against Buffy's open mouth. Spike flinched at the sight of Buffy's mouth suckling the blood offered to her by her Sire.

"Do what?" Spike tilted his head confused by the vampire's comment.

"Yes, only one. She has been hard to control. One could say wilful." Dracula pulled his wrist away from Buffy's bloodstained lips.

"Always has been, mate, drives me batty." Spike smiled tenderly down at the small vampire he cradled in his arms.

"And yet you want her! You Aurelians are truly odd." Dracula chuckled. He began to chant under his breath.

Several minutes passed as the ritual continued. Buffy began to stir as the hold over her mind and body began to lessen.

"Hold her still, Spike," Dracula muttered. "And give me your wrist." "Here." Spike extended his left hand, letting Buffy's head cradle in the juncture of his elbow, her head lolling away from his chest. Dracula efficiently slashed a shallow cut and reached under Buffy's head, lifting her red stained lips to the cut on Spike's wrist.

"How long shall I let your soon to be Childe drink from you?" he asked as he rubbed Buffy's throat, encouraging her to swallow.

"As long as you can." Spike gritted out, his body hardening at the touch of her soft lips, which were strangely warm.

"You want her strong? Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Do it, mate."

"Okay, your mistake, William." Dracula sighed and continued the ritual. For the next few minutes, the two male vampires only spoke when the ritual demanded it. One offering the gift of a Childe and the other accepting the gift and all it entailed. Spike's voice was strong and clear, belying the sadness inside him.

Gradually the magicks began to take their toll and Spike sank to his knees, his head dropping forward and resting on Buffy's cool shoulder. Dracula followed suit, his hand still holding the diminutive vampiress to the cut on Spike's wrist.

There was a clap of thunder and then silence.

"It's done. She is yours and her friends and family are free of my control." Dracula rose fluidly.

Spike took a deep breath, his senses reeling as he inhaled the rich scents of his Childe. He looked up at Dracula briefly and then his gaze locked back on his beautiful girl. "Thank you, mate. I never realised that I wanted her, that I...." Spike trailed off, unwilling to voice the words, words that would change the course of his unlife.

"Come now, Spike, from the moment you stormed in here, I could see you love her." Dracula clapped Spike on the shoulder. "If I had known..."

"Wot, you wouldn't have turned her? I can't see that, mate." Spike staggered to his feet, his arms tightening around Buffy's small form. The white toga-like dress she was dressed in was pristine except for a few drops of blood on the bodice.

"Of course I would've, but I wouldn't have... well..." Dracula sighed.

"I know, but guess what? Until a few hours ago, I didn't even care what happened to her and now..." Spike looked down at the sleeping form held protectively in his arms.

"It's fate." Dracula smiled wryly.

“Yeah, right...” Spike snorted and then paused. Drac was a tricky one, but he did have the sight...maybe there was something in his comment. Were they fated to be together? Spike looked down at Buffy and frowned. A thought occurred to Spike. "Oi, what about the Judas?"

"My simpering pet? I think I may keep him for a while before releasing him." Dracula grinned wickedly. "He has his uses when I tire of female company."

"You mean..." Spike threw his head back and laughed.

"It's time for you to go, Spike, good luck." Dracula escorted Spike from his castle. As the door swung shut behind Spike's back, his vampiric hearing caught Dracula's final words.

"Good luck, my friend. You'll need it! She has her soul."

A/N did you expect the soul??? Could make things interesting right!
Chapter 4 by Schehrezade
Single quote marks = thoughts
A/N Any idea how to keep italics in the text???

Across Sunnydale several people woke with a start.

Willow and Tara sat up, clutching at each other hands, the same name escaping from their lips.

"Buffy!"

Giles lurched forward in his armchair, the open book resting on his chest falling to the floor, forgotten, as memories of his Slayer filled his mind.

Joyce woke and stumbled to her daughter's room. "Buffy?" The empty room lay silent.

Riley grunted and pulled his latest fang buddy closer, aware that he would have to wear a turtleneck around his girlfriend for the next few weeks. That's if he saw her again. She had been mysteriously absent for the last few days.

********

Spike stumbled and fell to his knees. He looked down at his precious burden. 'A soul?'

"Master Spike?"

Spike glared over his shoulder as one of Dracula's brides approached him with a small chest. "Wot?"

"My Master wanted you to have this as a gift and a token of his gratitude for, well… taking her." The tall vampiress sneered at the unconscious form in Spike's arms.

Spike squinted up at the vampire. "Bit of a pain in the arse, was she?"

"Very much so, she fought him tooth and nail and was not grateful for his Dark Gift." She sighed.

Spike rolled his eyes at the female vampire's affectations of her git of a sire.

”It was intolerable. He was forced to subdue her with his thrall. Personally, I'm glad to see the back of her and I think my Master is, too." She grinned impishly at the unsurprised expression on Spike's face. "You don't look too surprised."

"Hardly! He gave her over too quickly." He nodded to the box. "Stick it in my pocket, gorgeous." The smiling bride did as he asked and then brushed a kiss over his sharp cheekbones.

"Good luck, Master Spike." With that, she disappeared into the castle.

"Oi, do me a favour and bite the Whelp for me!" Spike called after her.

"I will." Her voice drifted off.

"What am I going to do with you, sweetness?" Spike looked down at the comatose vampire cradled reverently in his arms.

Buffy whimpered at the sound of his voice and nestled closer to him.

"We need to get out of dodge and regroup before you come out to your mates and the Watcher,” Spike commented as he hauled himself up tiredly. The large amount of blood Buffy had drunk from him was taking its toll on his already depleted resources.

Spike strode off into the night.

******

Giles scrambled to his feet as his memories of Buffy returned. He raced for the telephone.

"Joyce? Is Buffy there?"

He pinched the top of his nose with his index finger and thumb, lines of worry appearing on his face.

"What do you mean?" he demanded.

"Wait there, I'll come to you." Giles slammed the receiver down and ran from his apartment.

As he drove over to Revello Drive, he pondered the strange events of the last few days. Mostly worrying was why Spike had been to only one to recall Buffy.

**********

Giles ran from his car up the walk as Joyce swung open the front door. Her usually smiling face pinched with worry.

“Joyce,” Giles gasped. He reached over and grabbed hold of her clammy hands.

“Oh…Giles, I saw her in my mirror! She looked so sad and scared, she called me Mommy…She hasn’t called me Mommy since she was baby…”

“Joyce, calm down, please…” Giles pulled the crying woman into her house and wrapped his arm around her shaking shoulders.

“What’s happened to her?” Joyce asked through her tears.

“I…I don’t know, I can’t for the life of me work out why I didn’t remember her!”

Joyce nodded. “I know, I had a few flashes after Spike came over…Wait, Spike, he was acting very strangely…”

Giles pulled Joyce down onto the sofa with him. “What do you mean?”

“Well…I found him peering in Buffy’s window and startled him…I startled him and he, well, fell off the roof.” Joyce explained.

“Really? That’s odd. I mean, he’s a vampire. How could he be startled by anyone?” Giles frowned.

“I know, he’s usually tries to act so calm and collected, and he asked me what to do if someone was missing…”

Giles frowned. “How did he remain unaffected by whatever spell was cast on us?”

Joyce shrugged. “Maybe he was immune, or the person who cast it didn’t realise he knew…knows Buffy?”

“That makes sense. And Joyce, please don’t worry. I’m sure Buffy is all right.” He gingerly patted Joyce’s hand.

“Did you remember anything about Buffy?” Joyce asked, her curiosity peaked.

“No…well, not until after Spike came looking for her at the shop. I wonder if any of the others had flashes?” Giles’ Watcher persona surged to the fore.

“What do we do know?” Joyce asked.

“We need to expand our search,” Giles commented as he went to the phone.

“Expand?”

“Well…Xander is missing, too. He’s been enthralled by…” Giles pulled a face. “By Dracula.”

“Dracula? He’s real?” Joyce’s eyes widened in surprise and excitement.

Giles nodded as he dialled Willow and Tara’s dorm number. “Yes, he is.”

“Do you think he may have something to do with…”

“Oh!” Giles interrupted. “You maybe right! Records suggest he has magical gifts…”

Joyce gasped. “My baby girl! He might have done something to her!”

“Let’s not worry until we have to, Joyce,” Giles murmured soothingly. “Ah, Willow, do you…good you both remember…could you possibly come over to Buffy’s and collect Anya as well?” Giles nodded. “Good and please hurry.”

******

Spike pulled the Desoto up to the sidewalk and turned off the engine. He turned to the comatose girl laying on the backseat. “Stay here, Sweets. I’ll just nip in and nick some of your bits and bobs. Back in a tick.”

Spike slid out of the car and locked it. He melted into the shadows and approached the house cautiously. He could hear Joyce and Giles talking in the sitting room. He climbed the trellis ‘Feel like a ponce crawling into a girl’s room, trying to avoid the parents,’ he thought wryly as he pulled himself quietly into Buffy’s room. Moving swiftly, the blond vampire pulled out a suitcase.

Spike crept around the room, filling the suitcase with clothes and bits of frippery, all things he knew his new Childe would need. He paused for a moment, shaken to the core at the thought. He had a Childe.

He shook himself and then continued to gather some underwear; he resisted sniffing them and stuffed them into the case. Moving quickly, he grabbed a framed photo of Joyce and tucked it into the suitcase. His azure eye twinkled at the sight of Mr. Gordo sitting primly on Buffy’s pillow. He reached out and pocketed the small pig. Reaching under the mattress, he pulled out Mr. Pointy and Buffy’s diary.

He disappeared out of the window and into the night.

*******

Joyce looked up with a frown. “Did you hear something?”

Giles rose from the couch and moved quickly to the stairs. “Stay here,” he ordered as he disappeared up the stairs.

Hesitantly, the Watcher pushed open the door to Buffy’s room. His tired eyes scanned the room; nothing seemed to be out of place. The curtains blew in the wind so he walked over and shut the window. Scanning the garden, Giles failed to make out Spike’s dark clad form as he shrank behind the tall tree.

“Giles?” Joyce called from downstairs.

Shaking his head, the Englishman returned downstairs. “It was nothing, just the wind.”

*****

Spike relaxed as he spotted Giles walking over to the couch. “That was close, mate!”

He popped the trunk and placed the suitcase next to the cooler of blood and his rucksack.

Slipping back into the car, the blonde vampire looked over to check on his sleeping companion. His eyes traced her soft, delicate features and red-tinged mouth. “It’ll be all right, pet. Spike’ll take care of you.” Unable to resist, he reached over and ran a finger over her cheek.

He turned and started the engine.

“Let’s get out of here, luv…”

*********

The remaining Scoobies gathered at Revello Drive and were huddled together, researching. Tara and Willow snuggled on the armchair, trying to write a scrying Spell, one that would break through Dracula’s magicks.

Giles was pacing and talking to Anya, trying to reassure her that they would retrieve Xander. His irritation towards the ex-demon was poorly concealed, she still had not voiced any concern over Buffy’s absence.

Joyce had retreated to the kitchen to have some time to gather herself. She blindly prepared sandwiches and brewed coffee.

A quiet knock on the back door made her jump. Rushing over, a hopeful smile on her face, Joyce pulled the door open. Her shoulders sagged in disappointment at the sight of Riley’s bland face.

“Oh…I was hoping it was Buffy.” Joyce stood back and allowed the ex-soldier to come in.

“So still no sign of her?” Riley asked as he reached over for a sandwich. He munched on it placidly.

Joyce glared at the unconcerned boy. “Riley, aren’t you concerned about your girlfriend’s disappearance?” She twisted her fingers together to stop herself from slapping his face.

“She’ll be okay, Mrs Summers. Buffy’s tough, she’s the Slayer.” Riley’s voice was tinged with a hint of jealously. He hated that Buffy was stronger than he, but dspite this, was drawn to the excitement of her supernatural life. Anyway, he had his extra curricular activities which added spice to his life.

“Hmm…” Joyce reached over, picked up the tray of food and drinks and brushed past Riley. She noticed the poorly concealed bite marks on his neck and paused. “Riley, you’ve been hurt!” She put the tray down and reached over to Riley’s neck.

“I’m okay. A vamp just got lucky on patrol!” Riley batted her hand away as he lied.

Joyce’s eyes narrowed as her inbuilt lie detector kicked in. She decided not to say anything to Riley until she had spoken to Giles about the situation. “As long as you are okay.”

Riley nodded as he adjusted his turtleneck. “I’m fine, let’s not say anything. It’s not as important as finding Xander and Buffy.” He reached over and took the tray and disappeared into the sitting room.

*********
You are now Leaving Sunnydale

“Too ruddy right we are!” Spike glared at the sign and pressed his boot-clad foot down on the accelerator. The Desoto roared as the sign was flattened under its tyres. Spike suppressed the urge to howl as he usually did, he was acutely aware of the slumbering Slayer. Spike watched as the road stretched endlessly before him. He sped up, wanting to get to the cabin before Buffy woke from her magically enforced slumber.


**********

“Anything girls?” Joyce looked hopefully at Tara and Willow.

“I…we think that maybe this’ll get through whatever Dracula has cast over his c…castle.” Tara held out a sheet of paper covered in Willow’s neat handwriting.

“We’ll find Buffy, Mrs. Summers, I promise.” Willow slid inelegantly out from under Tara and stood. “We need something personal of Buffy’s. Can I go get something from her room?”

“Certainly, be my guest.” Joyce sat down tiredly. Riley shifted away from the older woman, giving her some room.

“I really think we should try this spell on Xander, too,” Anya whined petulantly.

“We will, Anya, but we also need to find Buffy, so please be patient. At least we’ve seen Xander, unlike Buffy.” Giles glared at his employee, exasperated.

“Yeah, we really have to find Buffy, I’m very worried about her,” Riley added.

Willow and Anya’s eyes narrowed at the false sincerity in Riley’s voice. For a brief second, their eyes met and they were in agreement. Something was up with the tall man. Anya sniffed delicately and her eyes widened. Her head shot up and she stared pointedly at Willow, subtly gesturing to the dining room.

“What?” Willow hissed at the dark blonde ex-demon.

“He stinks of sex,” Anya whispered back.

Willow green eyes widened in shock. “Are you sure? Scratch that, of course you’re sure!”

Both young women turned on their heels and glared at Riley, who, unaware, was flipping through a book, one hand on his neck, where he absently rubbed the most recent bites.

Anya’s sharp nails dug into Willow’s arm when she grabbed her. “Look,” she hissed.

“What?” Willow whispered.

“He’s been bitten…again,” Anya slapped her hand over her mouth.

“Again?” Willow looked over at Anya. “What do you mean, again?”

Anya looked guilty. “Well…I saw…umm… a bite on his wrist a few weeks ago and he passed it off as a patrolling injury. But now…I wonder.”

“Wonder what?” Willow was genuinely confused.

“He stinks of sex and has another set of teeth marks. Unless Buffy’s not telling us something, then I guess Riley has been going down to the docks and…” Anya’s usual candour fled at the look of surprise and anger in Willow’s eyes.

“He’s been what? Getting it on with vampy Ho-bags?” Willow squeaked.

Anya nodded enthusiastically, relieved that Willow had worked it out.

“What do we do?” Willow hissed.

“Do about what, honey?” Tara asked as she stepped into the dining room.

Anya and Willow jumped and tried not to look furtive.

“Tara, sweetie, there’s something going on with Riley,” Willow whispered as she took Tara’s hand in hers.

“You mean the bite marks?” Tara asked shrewdly.

“How did you?” Anya yelped.

“I just spotted them.” Tara shuddered.

“Ick!” Willow added.

“What do we do?” Anya asked

“Nothing. Now is not the time.” Giles stepped into the room, joining the three girls.

All three women looked shocked.

“I know, but we need to focus on Buffy and Xander. Riley’s proclivities for being bitten will be addressed, but not now.” Giles took off his glasses and began to polish them.

“So you know about his addiction?” Anya queried.

“Sadly, not until now. What was he thinking? He could have been turned and then been a danger to Buffy and all of us!” Giles exploded. All three of the girls rushed over shhhing him. “Sorry, he really is a foolish boy. I have heard of places where vamps exchange sex and biting for money…but I didn’t realise that such a place had sprouted up here in Sunnydale…” He shook his head. “Very disappointing behaviour, I would have thought Riley would know better…”

*********

“Here we go. Home sweet, well cabin…” Spike cut the engine off and turned to see if Buffy was awake. “Still off in the land of nod? Fair enough, sweets.”

Spike slipped out of the car and closed the door gently, unwilling to disturb his precious cargo. He emptied the trunk and deposited the various items inside the front door. He turned and walked back to the car. Reaching in, he gently pulled Buffy’s limp form into his arms. Spike brushed her fair hair off her face and sighed. A sick lump of worry settled in the pit of his stomach, something that was alien to Spike.

“Look, sweetness, it’s a lovely place.” Spike turned to look at the cosy wood cabin. It was a bolthole he had bought years back when he and Dru had first arrived in Sunnydale. It had a rustic charm that bordered on kitsch. A large porch ran around the entire cabin, offering shade during the day for those with a sensitive disposition for the sun. Climbing roses covered the front of the house and their delicate scent filled the warm night air. In front of the cabin was a large pond, bordered with reeds and wild flowers. Spike had used the place as a haven when Dru had become too much for him to handle. Spike had money but he chose not to be extravagant. Well, except for here.

Over the past year he had returned and updated the interior, adding a large kitchen and all mod cons. His prized TV and stereo system had been installed after a lucrative win at a poker game.

“Come on, let’s get you settled.” Spike climbed the stairs and pushed open the front door. It shut behind the two vampires with a quiet click.
Chapter 5 by Schehrezade
A/N More Spikey goodness!

Single Quotes = Thoughts

Spike stalked through the large main room carrying Buffy. He cradled his precious burden against his black clad chest, glancing down at her sleeping features.

The open room had a massive fireplace at one end with several large, soft armchairs and a long, plush sofa facing it. The coffee table was an ornate wrought iron with a sheet of heavy glass over the delicate metalwork, which had been forged into a mass of twisting metal vines and leaves. There were bookshelves covering most of the walls and they were filled to overflowing with a mish-mash of antique leather bound books and modern paperbacks.

The wooden staircase to the right of the room lead to a gallery that ran the length of the house. There were several doors facing into the room, which lead off from it. The open plan kitchen sat under the gallery and was divided off from the room by a Walnut dining table and chairs. The stainless steel kitchen was at odds with the warm homey charm of the rest of the cabin. The only other touch of modernity visible in the room was the entertainment centre that Spike had installed in the last year.

The predominant colours of the fabrics on the furniture and window were deep crimson brocade that was trimmed with a darker maroon velvet banding. Tossed casually over the back of the sofa were several ethnic throws, which complimented the cushions scattered along the length of the couch. It was a warm haven for all who were welcomed there, completely at odds with the persona that it’s owner presented to the outside world.

Candles littered every available surface and above their heads was a gilded ormolu chandelier, which had been converted to electricity. Spike grabbed the suitcase he had packed for Buffy, carrying it and the still sleeping girl up the stairs.

He hesitated at the door to his room, unsure if she would want to wake in the lion's den. Spike sighed and kicked the door open. ‘She needs her rest…’ Dropping the awkwardly held suitcase to the floor, the tired vampire headed into the en-suite bathroom.

"Best get you cleaned up, pet." Spike glanced down at Buffy. The relaxed expression on her face made him smile sadly. He was acutely aware that she wouldn't find much peace once she awoke. Spike hoped he was up to the task of helping her make this transition…

He shifted Buffy in his arms and reached down to turn on the taps. Water began to fill the Victorian roll top freestanding tub. Spike then hesitated, unsure as to what to do. He instinctively knew that his Slayer would want to wash off Dracula’s presence from her body, but that would mean stripping her.

Somehow he doubted the usually antagonistic Slayer would appreciate him ogling her goodies. Spike groaned, hating that he was caught in a moral dilemma, he was unused to having to consider all the moral angles. He was more of an attack first and then think later kinda vamp.

Which had lead to some of his more embarrassing failures. Usually at the hands of the tiny woman held reverently his arms.

Spike sighed, reached over and twisted off the taps. "Promise not to peek, luv," Spike whispered. "Well, not much. " He smirked.

Spike’s pale hands deftly stripped the white, toga-style dress off Buffy's body, revealing her perfect, pale-skinned form to Spike. His eyes widened at the sight of her small breasts topped with pale pink nipples, which had firmed in the coolness of the bathroom.

"Christ, love, you're gorgeous." Spike swallowed and then clenched his teeth. His hands fisted as he tried to force himself not to touch her soft skin.

Spike scanned her body, checking for injuries. Silently vowing that for any bite marks scratch or bruise Drac had left on the turned Slayer, he would pay. In full…

Spike's full mouth tightened at the sight of Drac’s finger marks on her hips and inner thighs. "Betcha fought him tooth and nail, though. Don't worry, luv, we'll get you cleaned and rested. After that, the Eurotrash vamp better watch out.” Spike knew that despite the easy camaraderie that he and Drac had shared, the sight of Buffy's bruised body had cancelled out any friendship.

Dracula would pay for his many transgressions. Slowly and painfully, Spike promised to himself.

The distraught vampire carefully deposited Buffy in the warm water and reached for a sponge. "Let’s get you washed up and then we can tuck you into bed. I'm sure you need some rest."

Gently, Spike began to wash Buffy's lax form.

His left hand cradled the back of her neck gently, holding her face out of the water.

From his years of tending to Drusilla, Spike was experienced in bathing women. He deftly washed away the dried remnants of Dracula's seed, his fingers impersonal. Spike's blue eyes darkened with lust at the sight of the neatly trimmed dark curls at the apex of Buffy's thighs, but the blond vampire suppressed his feelings. He was very aware that they would not be welcomed. Unlike Angelus, he preferred his sexual partners awake and willing.

Cupping Buffy's small head in his hand, Spike carefully cleaned his blood from her full lips. He was mesmerised by the tiny white fangs that were revealed. He looked at her face, amazed that she had no lumpies. "You probably don’t want to hear this, but you’re probably the most gorgeous vampire ever, luv. Never thought Drac could pass on his vampiric attributes." Spike ran his fingers over her unlined forehead and, unable to resist, he leant over and brushed a gentle kiss to her soft skin. At the touch of his lips, Buffy's small fangs automatically retracted, responding to her Sire’s touch.

Spike quickly washed her hair and then pulled her out of the tub, wrapping her in soft, white towels. The vampiric nursemaid dried her lax form and carried her into the bedroom.

"Just rest here for a bit, Sweets, while I get your nightie." Spike deposited her towel-wrapped form on his king-size bed. Turning, he searched through the suitcase he had packed for her, pausing to pull Mr. Gordo from his duster pocket. Tucking him safely under one arm, Spike searched for her nightclothes.

"Balls, luv, I'm sorry." He turned to Buffy supine form. "I forgot to pack any nightclothes. Will one of my T-shirts do?" Spike pulled open a drawer and extracted one of his many interchangeable black t-shirts. He snagged a pair of her cotton panties and quickly dressed her.

"There you go. Let’s get you to bed now." Spike quickly tucked her under the navy blue comforter and sheets. He slipped Mr. Gordo under her chin. "You rest a bit while I get us settled." Spike hesitantly reached over and brushed her damp hair off her forehead. "Better get a fire going in here."

Moving swiftly, Spike lit the prepared fire in the fireplace at the end of the bed. The flames flickered to life, illuminating their room with a golden glow. It was decorated much in the style of the rest of the cabin, rich navies and crimson fabrics. At the foot of the bed was a chaise lounge, which faced the crackling fire. There was a massive oak armoire and bedside tables. Other than that, there were several oil paintings on the walls and shelves of books and CD's. Gilded wall scones on the wall were filled with half melted candles. The windows that ran the length of the wall on the right were covered with heavy, velvet curtains. It was a comfortable room, which had been decorated with care.

*****

Willow, Tara, Anya and Giles all stood in the dining room.

"Giles, we need to say something soon. You know that they get addicted to the bites and the rush from bloodletting," Anya hissed.
Willow and Tara gasped.

"I know, Anya, but we need to find Buffy and rescue Xander." Giles sighed tiredly.

"Oh! I was going to get something of Buffy's for the scrying spell." Willow slipped out of Tara's embrace and trotted up the stairs.

"So...Mr. Giles, do we act as if we haven't noticed?" Tara asked hesitantly.

Giles nodded, tiredly. He was aware that Buffy would be devastated by the ex-Initative soldier's behaviour. But he imaged it would be brief as she had never really invested herself completely in the relationship. "Yes, we must be on our guard, all of you must never invite him into your homes. If he asks, then we will know if it’s too late. It's a worrying situation, I'm truly disappointed with him." He pulled off his glasses, but before he could clean them, Anya took them from his hand and slipped them back on his face. Giles blinked and smiled at his employee.

"With who?" Riley's amiable voice behind them caused Anya and Tara to jump.

"Uh, Xander," Tara offered weakly.

"Oh, right." Riley nodded. "Was wondering what all the secrecy was about." He laughed and turned back to the sitting room and re-joined a silent Joyce, who eyed his neck and glared at him.

Willow returned to the sitting room where everyone was gathered, her face ashen. "Guys, I think maybe something happened to Buffy."

"What do you mean?" Giles leant forward.

"Well, Mr. Gordo, some of her clothes and her diary are missing," Willow whispered.

"Don't be silly, Willow. I saw Mr. Gordo there earlier." Joyce trailed off. "Wait! Someone was here earlier, then!"

"The window was open, but unfortunately I didn't have the presence of mind to check the room for missing articles of clothing and stuffed toys." Giles shoulders drooped. "I've let her down again."

"Maybe she ran away?" Riley suggested, unaware of how sensitive a subject that was.

"No, it was Spike. I saw him here earlier, he was carrying a suitcase and got into his car," a new voice interrupted before anyone could call Riley on his callous comment.

"Dawn, you should be in bed!" Joyce stood.

Willow, Anya, Giles and Tara all stared blindly at the girl and then, in unison, blinked.

"Dawnie, what did you see, sweetie?" Tara asked. Her and the other’s momentary adjustment to the first appearance of Dawn Summers was over and they all acted on the false memories and suggestions implanted by the Monks.

Dawn sat on the stairs, her long arms wrapped around her coltish legs. Enjoying the limelight, she grinned. "I saw Spike sneak out of Buffy's room a while ago with her suitcase, he got into that way cool car of his and drove off."

"Spike!" Riley snarled. "I'll go check on his crypt and see what he's up to." With that, the tall soldier ran out of the house.

"Wait! Don't you want to see what the spell shows?" Willow called forlornly after his disappearing form.

"Don't fall on any fangs while you're out!" Anya called cheerfully.

"Spell, cool. Can I watch?" Dawn leapt up and rushed over to the table. She began poking the various ingredients. "Hey, what did you mean don't fall on any fangs?" She asked Anya curiously.

For the next few minutes, Giles explained carefully their suspicions about Riley and extracted promises from both Dawn and Joyce to never openly invite him in. Of all of them, they were the most vulnerable, neither of them having any powers of their own to protect them. Joyce had voiced her concerns over Riley when he had arrived earlier this evening, and Giles commended her on her caution.

*****

"Spike!" Riley shouted as he kicked open the door of the crypt.

"Ahh!" Harmony shrieked and dropped her magazine.

Riley stalked over to the blonde vampire and hauled her up. "Where is he?"

"I have no idea...I came back and he was gone!" Harmony squeaked, her fear making her forget she was stronger than the enraged man shaking her. "Lemme go, you’re hurting me!"

Riley shook her again. "You're a vampire, you stupid girl, only this hurts!" With that he pulled out a stake and slammed it into her heart. Riley dusted his hands off and smiled at the pile of dust at his feet, secretly pleased that he had staked Spike's girlfriend.

*****

"Willow, try it again," Giles stared at the un-charred map, mystified.

"I don't understand, Giles, she can't have disappeared completely!" Willow reached over for another handful of powder. She pulled a few more blonde hairs from the comb she had found on Buffy's vanity and began to chant again.

None of them realised that the map was only for Sunnydale and it's immediate surroundings. Buffy was miles from home and safe from any scrying spells.

Dawn curled up against her Mom and her head nodded as she dozed off. She had been thrilled to be included in the Scooby meeting, but it was late and she was exhausted.

Willow slammed her hands down on the coffee table. "I'm sorry, but this isn't going to work!"

"Okay, enough, everyone needs to calm down." Joyce sat forward. "I think as much as I want to find Buffy now, Willow and Tara need some rest. You're welcome to stay here, I'm sure Buffy won't mind if you sleep in her bed. Anya, there's an inflatable mattress which we can set up in Dawn's room and Giles, if you don't mind, you can sleep on the sofa." She looked over at everyone and waited.

"We can't all impose, Mrs. Summers." Tara whispered.

"Yes, you can. I don't want to be alone and I'm sure that for now we need to be together until we can get Buffy and Xander home safe." Joyce suppressed her tears, trying to put on a brave face for her daughter’s friends.

"Cool! Anya gets to stay with me!" Dawn yawned and stretched. She knew that if she asked the frank ex-demon anything she would be overwhelmed with details, which no one else would volunteer.

Moving quickly, Joyce locked up the house and settled everyone for the night.

When Riley returned from Spike's crypt, the house was dark and silent. He tried the doors and, when he couldn't get in, he returned to his apartment.

*****

Spike sat tiredly facing the large fire he built in the fireplace in the main room. The flickering flames lit his angular face, casting his eyes into shadows. The Master Vampire sat thinking about the dramatic events of the night. He was still in shock over the sight of his Slayer in Dracula's mansion. He couldn't fathom why he had rescued her; he ignored the persistent little voice at the back of his mind. 'Well, you love her, you ponce.'

He raised his glass to his lips and downed the rest of the JD. Reaching over, he grabbed the bottle and refilled his glass. During his ruminations he kept one ear trained on his guest. The blond vampire had managed to restrain himself so far; but the rage was building in him. He wanted, no, needed to rip something or someone apart.

He needed revenge for Buffy.

Spike growled deep in his chest. He stood and stormed into the kitchen. Pulling open the fridge, he grabbed a bag of blood and poured some into a mug to heat. He leant on the counter watching the ceramic mug turning in the microwave, pulling it out and gulping it down once it was heated. Rinsing the mug, he left it on the draining board. Leaving the house, Spike loaded up on firewood and pinecones. The vampire took several trips before he was satisfied there was enough for the next few days. Leaving the front door open, he sank down and sat on the top step, watching the moonlight flicker on the pond in front of him.

"No point running off and pickin a fight. Wot you gonna fight with out here, anyway, a rabid beaver?" Spike sighed and trudged back into the cabin, shutting and locking the door behind him.

He climbed the stairs and stood outside the master bedroom. His hand hovered over the handle, unsure whether or not to go in. "Suck it up, you ninny, she's gonna need you." With that, Spike slipped into the room. Stoking the fire, he added more logs to last the rest of the night. He glanced over at Buffy and took in her sleeping face. Scrubbing his hand tiredly over his face, the vampire stood and disappeared into the bathroom.

Stripping mechanically, Spike dropped his clothes on the floor, then stepped into the power shower and turned on the water. He rested his hands on the tiled wall, letting the water stream down his face. Dropping his head, the hot water poured down his back, easing the tension in his shoulders. Steam filled the room as he washed away the grime of the last few days. Spike missed having a shower in the crypt, but had never bothered to change anything in the gloomy tomb; there had been no point, he wanted to wallow in discomfort. He was secretly relieved that Buffy’s predicament had jolted him out of his despair over being chipped. But at the same time, felt guilty…

Wrapping a towel around his waist and using another to dry his hair, Spike sauntered into the bedroom.

"Better find something to wear, can't be exposing myself to you, can I, Slayer?" Spike commented as he pulled out a pair of boxers. Dropping the towel to reveal his muscled backside and legs, he bent and pulled on the cotton underwear.

"Hope you're not a blanket hog, luv," Spike continued his one sided conversation as he slipped under the covers. He carefully lay down. Turning on his side, he laid there watching his sleeping bedmate for several minutes until he drifted off into a deep sleep.

Buffy sighed in her sleep and rolled over, draping herself over his cool body. She snuggled her face into his neck, her lips resting over the healing cut that she had drank from earlier in the night.

*****

Buffy snorted and buried her face closer to the cool chest she was draped over. Spike's arms tightened around her in his sleep and cradled her close. Buffy yawned slightly and stretched, nuzzling her face against the hard wall of muscles.

"Mmm." She wriggled her feet between Spike's and sighed happily.

For several minutes there was silence, until she gradually woke. Raising her head sleepily, Buffy blinked in surprise at the sight of Spike's sleeping face. She could feel one of his hands under her nightshirt and pressed against the small of her back. She squeaked, embarrassed and confused as to why she was in Spike's arms and his bed.

Her little noise woke the male vampire and he yawned and opened his eyes. Spike froze at the sight of Buffy's alert, hazel eyes gazing up at him from her position on his chest.

"Buffy?" His voice rumbled in his chest, sending tingles down her spine.

"Spike? What's going on? Why are we all with the snuggles?" Buffy's voice trailed off as she began to remember. Her face paled even more and her eyes flashed lavender as her emotions got the better of her. "Oh, my God...no...no...no!" She began to struggle.

Spike's arms tightened around her slight form, he pulled her close, trying to soothe her. "Slayer, Buffy, luv, m' sorry, had no idea if I had I would've got there quicker." He whispered into her hair as she slumped against him, weeping.

"Spike, why? Why would Xander do this?" she wept.

"Dunno, pet." Spike was at a loss as to what to say or do.

"Oh, my God! I'm a vampire!" Buffy wailed.

A/N - Dun dun dun!! Was it a good chappie?? Feed my muse and review me - I'll post another chappie!!
Chapter 6 by Schehrezade
To RSK for all her support and patience – thank you!

To Peta for all her hard work and inspiration – thank you. Also if you haven’t read her fantastic fic Taste of Juliet go read it now it’s brilliant! http://vampires-kiss.net/order/tasteofjuliet.htm or go to my favs and do the clicky thing!

Single Quotation marks = Thoughts

Chapter Six

“Buffy?"

Spike hesitantly knelt down next to the huddled girl. Once she had realised what Dracula had made her into, the small blonde had leapt from the bed and hidden in the far corner of the room. She sat there rocking back and forth, big fat tears pouring down her face, as the memories of her turning and everything that followed flooded back to her. Spike reached over and tentatively stroked her hair; he hated seeing the usually strong warrioress he had fought against and with over the years reduced to a weeping bundle.

"I need a bath,” she muttered. "Feel dirty." Buffy sniffled pathetically and wiped her face with her hands.

"Okay, pet. Come on, I'll show you where the tub is." Spike reached over and took one of her hands and pulled her tenderly to her feet. "You sure you need another bath?"

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Umm… well… nothing." Spike realised that she may not appreciate him having seen her bits and pieces. He rubbed the back of his head, amazed at the feeling of embarrassment that flooded him. ‘I’m evil! Wot the ruddy hell am I feeling bad about…’ He looked up at Buffy and realised that when it came to the small woman in front of him, he couldn’t count on not feeling. She evoked a barrage of emotions - some old, and some new and delicate. He fervently hoped that the feelings of love and affection wouldn’t diminish.

They felt good and made him feel alive.

He stared down at his Childe - amazed how much had changed so quickly -and silently vowed never to let her down.

Buffy glanced down at her sleeping clothes; her hand went to her damp curling hair as realisation dawned on her. "You gave me a bath?" Her voice rose in embarrassment.

Spike jerked his head down and suddenly found his toes very interesting.

A small hand reached up and cupped his chin, forcing him to face her. "Spike, did you give me a bath?" Buffy briefly wondered why the idea of Spike seeing her naked didn't bother her, instead it warmed her and filled her with a riot of emotions and feelings that puzzled her and at the same time excited her. Buffy pushed all these jumbled emotions aside and trusting her instincts decided to let Spike look after her.

Spike nodded as he pushed open the door. "I just wanted to help. Didn't want that bastard's touch on you..." he trailed off unwilling to mention that he knew she and Dracula had been intimate.

"Spike, could…did you smell…oh god, this is humiliating." Buffy would have been blushing if she could. "If you did it's okay, and thank you for getting rid of, well, you know..."

Spike nodded jerkily. "Here, there's a few bubbly things for your soak, towels and soap. I'll just let you be?" He led her to the bathroom and hovered shyly at the door.

Buffy shook her head. "Can you stay?" She was amazed at her lack of modesty. This was her biggest enemy and here she was asking him to stay and watch over her in the tub. Buffy shook her head at the strange turn of events.

Spike gulped. "Do what?"

"I feel safe when you're around." Buffy whispered. She felt needy and scared. It was Spike’s presence that offered her a sense of safety and calm. Buffy was bewildered by this but at the same time accepted it. Instinctively, the newly turned vampire knew her Sire would protect her.

"Then I'll stay right here with you, Pet." Spike bowed gallantly. He was completely confused by the total change of attitude Buffy was showing and the ease in which he accepted it. He had expected a stake through the heart or at the very least a thump on the nose followed by her rapid exit. Spike had thought that the diminutive woman huddled in his bathtub would have been the same self-possessed Slayer he had fought against and with over the years and would have left him for her Scoobies without a backwards glance. Instead she was turning to him for comfort and love, just like any newly fledged Childe. He was bewildered but elated…

Buffy filled the tub with bubble bath and water and she stripped off. Smiling at Spike turning his back, she rolled her eyes at his sudden bashfulness. Slipping off the t-shirt, Buffy stepped into the tub and sank in up to her chin. "You can turn around now."

Spike stood for a second, the muscles in his back tense, his hands clenched into fists. Sighing he turned, his eyes lighting up at the sight of Buffy's face peering back at him, the bubbles covered her body completely.

He sank to his knees by the bath. "Shall I get a cool flannel for your eyes?"

"Thank you," Buffy dipped under the water and resurfaced.

"Here." Spike handed the flannel to her and watched as she patted it under her eyes. His finger’s twitched and he suppressed the urge to snatch it from her hand and bath her face for her. Spike’s awe-filled gaze never wavered from her eyes until Buffy closed them and he glanced down at her soft lips. Spike took an un-needed breath and he reached out tentatively and finally let his fingers curve against her cheek and he sighed happily as she pressed her face into his hand. Spike revelled in the sensation of her soft cool skin.

Her hand slid under the water and pressed against her chest, trying to find a heartbeat. "It's so quiet,” she whispered.

"What is, Pet?"

"Everything. I can't hear my heart. I'm dead."

"I know. But hey, you're still pretty," he offered lamely.

"Help me?" Buffy's plaintiff plea warmed Spike's heart.

"I will, Pet. Anything you want." He promised.

"How did you get me away from him?"

Spike sighed; he had hoped to avoid this conversation. But he knew that his Slayer was nothing if not stubborn and if he didn’t answer he might/would get bopped on the nose for his troubles. A small wet hand appeared over the lip off the tub; Spike took it and gently squeezed it. His cockney accent dropped away and smoothed into his long forgotten cultured tones as he explained to Buffy how he had managed to rescue her from Dracula's clutches.

She remained silent throughout the entire story. Her mind filled with images of Venice; Dracula, Spike and their adventures in the Italian city. His voice was soothing and as he trailed off, they both sat there holding each other’s hands.

******

With a shudder Buffy recalled initially rejecting Dracula’s advances, which led to him hitting her. She remembered fighting him tooth and nail, until he restrained her. Then his eyes had glowed and she succumbed to his touch- even welcomed it.

Buffy tried to suppress the memories of being a willing participant in Dracula's seduction, but failed. She rubbed her thighs together at the memory of her erstwhile Sire's tongue exploring and tasting her soft folds as she lay back keening her joy. She could feel herself opening her legs and guiding Dracula's erection into her and could recall her sighs of satisfaction as he pounded into her over and over. What she didn't understand was why she had let him rather than fighting him off. She could also feel the other Brides touching her and caressing her, that was when she had struggled and fought, until Dracula caught her chin in his hands and forced her to gaze again into his hypnotic eyes.

"He had you under his control, some sorta gyspy nonsense." Spike's voice broke through her thoughts. "It was awful, Buffy. All your spark was gone. You were a puppet." He sighed, his hand tightening reflexively on hers.

'Oh, so that's why I couldn't fight him off.' Buffy felt sick and violated at her will being taken away from her, being unwilling or even unable to stop them.

"So, I reminded him he owed me and was right surprised when he gave you up with only a token quibble." Spike glanced over at Buffy, and smirked. "Betcha were a right pain in the arse always fighting him?"

"I tried, sometimes I did and then other times I couldn't, he wouldn't let me." Buffy whispered.

"S'all right now, Slayer. You’re safe."

"I know, you saved me!" Buffy's voice was filled with an incredulous gratitude.

Spike ducked his head, embarrassed.

"Why did you save me, Spike?"

Spike hesitated, unsure as to how much of his feelings he should expose to the tiny woman soaking in the tub next to him. "S'not right wot he did. I couldn't leave you there, letting him touch you with his grubby mitts." Spike trailed off. He took a breath. "Look, I know you don't like me or whatnot but let me help you, make you strong and I'll have your back when you go after the Tranny Vamp."

Buffy giggled at Spike's last insult. "I trust you, Spike. Don't know why, but I do." She lifted her free hand and pulled a face, "eww… pruny hand." She scrunched her nose at her Sire and wriggled her fingers at him. Buffy wondered if her trust for Spike was due to him being her Sire. She recalled all the lectures Giles had given her on Vampiric codes and familial bonds. One of the main themes was the Sire/Childe bond and the trust and love that they shared. Buffy wondered if that was what she was feeling or if it was more than that…

Spike stood and reluctantly released her hand; he pulled open a large towel and held it up. "Hop out, pet."

Before he could turn his head Buffy stood, water streaming off her body. Bubbles sliding down her supple form, Spike tried not to gulp and failed. She stepped out and let him wrap it around her.

"Thanks," she eyed him solemnly and then surprising them both, she grinned. "FYI Spike, I know why I trust you." She paused for a moment and with a wicked gleam in her eyes, she toddled out of the bathroom.

"Well?" Spike followed her out into the bedroom.

"Well what?" Buffy asked innocently as she searched through her suitcase for a brush and sat down on the bed and began to pull it through her hair.

"Why do you trust me?" Spike crossed his arms over his bare chest and cocked his head questioningly.

"You saved me, whereas my best friend fed me to the lions." Buffy grimaced at the memory of Xander walking towards her with a guileless smile on his face. "He knocked me out and delivered a Slayer takeout to that bastard. I know you'd never do that to me."

Spike nodded. "Too right, but in the Whelp's defence…" he trailed off, wondering to himself why he was even trying to defend the Judas nit.

Buffy held up a small, imperious hand. "Don't, Spike. Xander knew what he was doing, he did it off his own back. It's not like Dracula ordered or forced him to do it."

Buffy’s eyes filled with lavender sparkles as she recalled Xander’s words to Dracula as he offered his best-friend up as a sacrificial lamb. Xander had begged to be turned as a reward for bringing the Slayer as a gift. She could hear Drac’s laughter as he took her bound and struggling form off Xander. With a single glance the Master Vampire had removed her will and she had slumped lax in his cool arms. She could hear Xander begging for the Dark Gift from the vampire. Buffy’s heart had broken when she had realised from Xander’s ramblings that it had been his idea and not Dracula’s to bring her to him as a gift…a plaything…to be toyed with as he wished.

Her best-friend had betrayed her.

She sighed heavily, “I don’t know if I can ever forgive him for that and I know I’ll never be able to trust him again!”

Spike nodded. "So you trust me cos I didn't betray you and rescued you? Anything else?" He couldn't help but push. Spike had never dreamt that he and the Slayer would ever have a conversation like this. She trusted him, Spike swore to himself that he would never betray that trust.

"Oh I dunno, Sire." Buffy arched her fine blond brow at Spike.

Spike shuffled on his feet, amazed that she recalled the transfer of Sire. His thumb rubbed over the faint scar on his neck. He didn't know what to say.

"Spike, I understand. It had to be done otherwise I'd still be zombie Buffy." Buffy stood and tightened the towel around her; she walked over and laid her hand over the scar on his neck. "Thank you," she added quietly.

Spike jerked back slightly at the sensation of Buffy again voluntarily touching him - well without violence that is.

"Buffy. Slayer. I swear I'll never use Sire rights over you, I promise."

"I know you won't." Before she could say anything else her stomach growled loudly. They both glanced down at it.

"Could you possibly be hungry?" Spike smirked.

Buffy nodded.

"Get dressed and I'll find you some nosh." Spike pulled on a pair of tracksuit bottoms and walked out of the room, his bare feet slapping on the wood floor.

*******

"You don't mind, do you?" Buffy asked as she walked down the stairs. She had dressed in some shorts and Spike’s discarded t-shirt; long fluffy white socks adorned her small feet. "Wow! This place is amazing, where are we?"

"My place, sort of a getaway I set up a few years back," Spike replied as he readied two mugs of blood. "Also, don’t mind what?"

Buffy stood in the centre of the room, her eyes taking in the décor and the warm ambience. "Huh? Oh! Being my surrogate Sire."

Spike whirled; his eyes flashed gold as his lumpies appeared for a brief second. "Not a surrogate, your mine and I'll protect you til I'm ashes."

Buffy hesitated for a second at the sight of Spike's game face, 'wow he's cute when he's mad!' She fiddled with the waistband of her shorts, "thought you said no grr Sirey stuff upstairs?"

"Nothing surrogate about what we went through. You're my Childe. My only one! If anything or anyone tries to touch or hurt you, I'll eviscerate them. I promise! Let you down once and I’m not doing it again."

Buffy walked over to the distraught vampire and cautiously patted him on the shoulder. "Spike, it's okay. I mean it's not okay, cos hello, creature of the night here, but we'll deal!"

Before Buffy could move, Spike's arms whipped around her and pulled her tight against his body. They stood wrapped around each other for several minutes until the microwave beeped at them.

"Grubs up, pet." Spike grudgingly released his hold on her.

"Food…oh, it's blood." Buffy gazed at the mug Spike had pressed into her hands. Her fingers went numb and she dropped it, the ceramic shattered on impact and blood splattered across the floor. "I...I...he made me...oh god!"

Buffy’s mind filled with flashes of memory of the events of the past few days and nights. The sensual touch of Dracula and his Brides. The pain of their teeth as they bit into her unresisting flesh and their enjoyment of her transformed blood, which was also infused with her Slayer power. She looked down at her covered breasts and remembered watching as Dracula dragged his fangs over her pale flesh, drawing blood, letting it trickle down onto her soft stomach and her sickened reaction to the sight.

Buffy’s skin twitched involuntarily at the remembered sensation of his tongue trailing through her blood, as her Sire watched her face, silently revelling in her fear and horror of what she had become.

Her muscles locked as Buffy remembered refusing to drink from her Sire and he beat her until she submitted, reluctantly sinking her teeth into his wrist and swallowing the borrowed blood that ran through his body. A chill ran down her spine that the memory of her enjoyment at the taste of her Sire’s blood…at the delight at the taste of blood. In Buffy’s mind her reaction to the power blood was the ultimate betrayal of her Calling.

Buffy gagged and swallowed and tried to stop the memories by shaking her head.

But it didn’t work…

The worst was yet to come…

Buffy eye’s filled with tears and they fell unchecked as she saw the three Brides drag in a struggling man. How they had taunted her, mocking the fallen Slayer and saying that she was no longer a Champion but a creature of darkness like them…a creature bound to blood lust. Buffy had tried to escape Dracula’s grasp and escape from the carnal house Xander had delivered her too.

But she failed.

Buffy’s mind shut down as she tried to repress the memories of the events that followed. Ones that had been brought back at the sight of the crimson fluid Spike had given to her in the mug. Her entire being froze. The tears poured down her face and her mouth opened in a silent wail.

Spike’s nostrils flared as the scent of her terror and anguish filled the room. He looked up from the shattered mug and his face dropped at the sight of his Childe paralysed in anguish.

Spike reached out to her, to try and comfort her. "Buffy, stop it love." Spike stepped forward and then howled in pain. He reached down and pulled a shard of ceramic from his heel. Tossing it aside he reached for the catatonic girl in front of him.

Buffy had retreated within herself. The memories of Dracula’s Brides bringing a young college boy to her and her Sire ordering her to feed filled her mind. Bending over she heaved and then threw up, her eyes watering under the strain of her vomiting. She felt Spike's arms around her as he steadied her shuddering form. In the distance she could hear him murmuring reassuringly.

"Oh god! I killed someone! He made me drain that poor boy, I think I knew him from school, Warren Meers…I’m not sure if that was his name, but I think so… Spike, it hurts," She whimpered.

Spike grimaced down at the mess on the kitchen floor as he swung Buffy into his arms. He sat down on the large sofa, Buffy resting her head on his shoulder. Reaching behind him he grabbed a throw and draped it over her.

“I know Slayer, m'sorry he did that. From wot he said, you were refusing to eat and he doesn't brown bag it and god, I'm sorry."

"Spike, I feel so guilty," Buffy whispered into his neck.

"Course you do luv, your soul is talking to you," Spike grimaced at the concept of a soul. But then he looked down at Buffy and was stunned when he realised that he would never have wanted to know her without her soul.

"I kept my soul?" Buffy titled her head back and gazed up at him. She smiled sadly, her hands pressed to her stomach and heart, "yeah, I can feel it."

"S'okay Pet. It's good, cos I know I wouldn't wanna know you if you were soulless." Spike tried to tease her and failed miserably, he was reacting to her sadness.

"Humph." Buffy. "You'd still have rescued me, William."

Spike sighed. "Yeah, probably."

They wrapped themselves around each other and sat there in silence. Spike offering his silent support as Buffy grieved, and tried to adjust to the idea that she had killed a mortal.

********

“You sure dey’re going to be all right?”

Whistler turned to the ghostly form of the fallen Slayer. “Yeah, they have to be. The Powers had to move pretty fast to fix this mess…but I think that Spike’ll surprise us all, including himself.”

“He might be a lowly Vampire… but he’ll take care of Buffy,” Kendra stood with her incorporeal arms crossed over her chest. Her face creased in a worried frown. “Don’t understand why you dragged me down here to see this, though.”

“We needed the spirit of a Slayer here in case there was trouble. I think Buffy would’ve listened to you if we needed to intervene, last time she saw me she wanted to make me into a party hat!” Whistler grinned at the memory of his exchange with the determined Slayer.

“It’s not fair what has happened to Buffy,” Kendra sighed.

“I know, but events changed and we needed to make sure she was safe and cared for. Most turned Slayers can’t cope with the transition from hunter to hunted.” Whistler adjusted his bowler hat. “We need her, she was the most powerful Slayer ever and now she’ll be unstoppable. We had to make sure she’d be strong enough to fight.”

“So, messing with her mind and the vampire’s is how you people work?” Kendra grunted in disapproval.

“Desperate times lead to desperate measures.” Whistler looked over at the disapproving Slayer. “What? You think removing some of her pain and easing the transition is wrong?”

“Yes…well no…I suppose not, as long as she will be alright?” Buffy’s sister Slayer asked.

“They both will be,” Whistler promised. “Come on, we’ve done all we can.”

“But I can keep an eye out for her?” Kendra asked as the two figures faded away.

A/N BTW anyone notice how I go rid of Warren??LOL!!
Chapter 7 by Schehrezade
RSK you rock!

Peta thankyou for the fab betaing and all your help!

Single quote marks = Thoughts

They aren't mine but I wish Spike was!!


Chapter Seven

Spike eased away from Buffy's sleeping form. He quickly cleaned up the mess on the floor and heated some more blood. Taking them over to the coffee table he set them down before squatting next to Buffy. He ran his hand over her shoulder, rubbing gently.

"Buffy, wake up," he whispered gently.

Buffy yawned revealing her fangs; she opened her lavender tinted eyes. The smell of the blood made her stomach rumble. "I can't..." She sat up pressing her lips into a fine line.

"Luv, you have too. You're starved, and you're in game face." Spike tentatively touched her cheek.

Buffy pulled away from his gentle touch and covered her face. "Don't look at me. I'm ugly..." she wailed.

Spike chuckled.

The sound of his laughter made Buffy whip her hands from her face to glare at him.

"Are you laughing at me?" She pouted angrily, and then yelped when her fangs cut her lips.

Spike's eyes were riveted to the small amount of blood on her lips. He shook himself.

"Buffy, you're ruddy gorgeous." He licked his lips imagining himself licking her pouting mouth and tasting her glorious blood.

"I'm lumpy and all grr faced and you thinking I'm pretty?" Buffy's voice broke as she tried to suppress the feelings of horror that filled her.

"Give me your hands, pet," Spike asked gently.

Buffy held out her shaking hands. Spike took them and raised them to her smooth forehead. "See no ridges..."

Buffy gasped in surprise, she pulled her hands away and ran them over her face. She frowned in surprise at the smoothness of her forehead.

"I don't understand?" Gingerly she prodded her small fangs and squeaked when they pricked her fingers.

Spike suppressed his demon; acutely aware she would be disgusted if he licked her bleeding lips and fingers.

"Baby, you're a marvel, all pretty with lavender eyes and teeny tiny little fangs. Hang on..." He leapt up and rummaged through a cupboard. "Here it is!" He whirled holding out a Polaroid camera, which he had left there on a previous visit.

"Why've you got a camera?" Buffy knelt and watched him over the back of the sofa.

"Gotta check the bleach is all over my head. Don't want to end up looking like a skunk, do I?" Spike held up the camera. "Smile, Slayer." With that he snapped a picture, the camera whirred and spat out a photograph. He pulled it out and shook it, to speed up the development process.

He leapt over the sofa and chuckled as she snatched the developing picture off him. Leaning over he snagged a mug and sipped at the cooling plasma to distract himself from the scent of her powerful blood.

Buffy watched as the picture developed and her mouth dropped open in surprise at the image of her face.

"I look like that?"

Spike glanced over and nodded. "Pretty as a picture, luv, now drink up!"

Buffy looked at the mug and grimaced. She shook her head, "I can't..."

Spike sighed and reached over pulling her rigid form into his arms, he tilted his head back revealing his pale throat. "Drink from me then, Slayer..."

Buffy looked at his neck and licked her lips, her stomach rumbled but she still hesitated.

"It's okay, just until you're ready to brown bag it, but don't take too much," Spike rubbed her back soothingly. With that Buffy sank her teeth into his neck. He sighed as she began to tentatively drink from him.

Buffy groaned at the rich taste of his blood as it ran down her throat. Her mind began to fill with images. All their meetings and fights over the years, Spike's gradual change towards her, his pride at her successes and most importantly the love that was budding in his undead heart...for her.

Spike cradled her drinking form close and tried to move her away from his hardening erection. 'Last thing she needs to feel now is your stiffy, you git...'

Buffy wriggled as he tried to shift her, annoyed that he was trying to stop her drinking and seeing all that his blood revealed to her. The images shifted and the image of the original Slayer appeared in her mind, whispering that death was her gift and she had been given it sooner than was expected. Buffy pulled away reluctantly from her Sire's neck with a gasp. Her eyes faded back to their normal colour and her fangs retracted, the demon in her was sated.

As she shifted Buffy became aware of something hard pressing against her. Her eyes widened in surprise. "Spike?" All thoughts of the First Slayer vanished in that instant as Buffy felt his arousal pressing against her thigh.

Spike pushed her gently off his lap and flipped the throw over his lap, trying to hide his erection. "Sorry, pet..."

Buffy stared at him with wide eyes for a second. She glanced down at his lap, her jaw dropping open in surprise. 'He's huge!' Buffy slapped the side of her head with the heel of her hand and then leapt up and ran upstairs.

Spike glared down at his erection. "Nice going, mate..."

*******

As day broke, the impasse between Spike and Buffy was still in place. The peroxide blond vampire was curled up on the sofa fast asleep and Buffy was wide-awake behind locked doors in the Master bedroom. For the last few hours she had lain on the silken coverlet and stared at the ceiling. One ear trained on the door, waiting to hear Spike's footsteps on the stairs. With mixed feelings she lay there alone for hours. Her mind ticking over the events of the past few days, she ached to call for Spike. Needing his company and reassurance, but the sensation against her thighs and buttocks of his erection chased away the words to call him before they left her lips.

If Buffy could have blushed, she would have been crimson.

It was huge! She had forgotten how well endowed Spike was. After the aborted fake engagement spell, Buffy had religiously avoided thinking about Spike in any other way than a peroxide nuisance.

Buffy smacked herself in the head.

"Stop thinking about Spike's dick!" she muttered to herself and rolled onto her side. "How old are you?" This last question gave her pause, as she realised that she would never age or change again. Buffy had mixed feelings about this. On one hand she was never going to die, unless she was dusted.

Whereas if she had remained a Slayer her life expectancy was minimal, so in a sense it was a good thing she had been turned. On the other hand, she was never going to die! Which -the tiny blonde realised- meant she would probably be fighting evil for all eternity and would watch her friends and family age and die around her. A flash of Spike's lust darkened eyes filled her mind, and she realised that Spike would be there for her. He had promised to protect her until he was dust. Somehow this reassured her more than anything.

Buffy wriggled on the bed trying to get comfortable. Sighing she punched the pillow, trying to soften it.

Buffy lay there and tried to come to terms with her changes. She wondered how she was going to be able to carry on her day to day living, which was going to be impossible considering her sun allergy. College was a no go unless she could change to night classes - which might work. Mom and Dawn would adapt; they could learn to keep the drapes shut and get used to nightly visits rather than meeting for lunch in town. As Buffy lay there trying to adjust her life around her new circumstances, she never paused at the sudden inclusion of a sister, a sister that had not existed until a few hours ago. The monks' spell seemed to have been successful.

"I need to get rid of Dracula. There is no way I can let him live for what he has done to me," Buffy thought darkly. "He made me a killer." Buffy clapped her hand over her mouth and tried to calm herself. She was unwilling to lose any of the precious blood Spike had given her; Sire's blood.

Buffy shivered with delight as she allowed Spike's feelings to flood her mind again. The turned Slayer was surprised at the lack disgust she felt at the images of Spike's days in the killing fields. As a Slayer she should have been revolted but for some reason she wasn't and it puzzled her.

What surprised her was the feelings of jealously she had at the images of Spike and Dru making love and their affection for each other. A low growl emanated from her throat for the love Spike had for his fickle dark wicked plum. Sadness also filled her when Buffy recalled Spike's deeply suppressed and unacknowledged devastation that his beloved Sire loved Angelus and was only fond of her faithful and constant companion of over a hundred years.

Buffy had also sensed Spike's recent acceptance that Dru had used him as a substitute for her beloved 'daddy'. The small vampire wondered if her Sire even realised that Dru had, despite her madness, realised that she needed Spike to protect and nurture her. She wasn't equipped to look after herself and that was why she had clung to the peroxide vampire for so many decades...

She wondered if Spike was even aware of the hurt deep inside him...probably... but instead her mercurial Sire had continued to love Dru and fight for her attention with every ounce of his being.

Buffy pushed aside the maudlin memories, and latched onto the ones she had felt about herself. The awe that he had a Childe and his pride in her and the love, which stunned her...

What was even more amazing was the strength and comfort, which infused her being from the taste of Spike's blood. She wanted more and Spike had allowed her to take as much as Buffy had wanted. She was stunned at his generosity.

Even she knew that it was a rarity that it was offered so freely and to let her drink her fill was something unheard of. Sire's usually used their blood as a way to control their fledglings, but Spike as usual was a rebel. He was different. Buffy's train of thought paused; he was different for many reasons, but his words haunted her. He had never made a Childe. Why had he agreed to be her Sire?

"Note to self: remember to ask him in the am," Buffy whispered to herself.

She rolled over onto her back and wished that Willow were here to talk to. Buffy missed her best friend and was desperate to talk to her. Or maybe...Tara. Of the two Wiccan lovers, the voluptuous blonde was the one whom Buffy thought might be the better confidant- she didn't have a 'bottle in the face' history with Spike.

'Maybe Spike has a mobile?' Buffy dismissed this possibility, and then considered it again. 'I mean, come on! Look at his house- it's amazing. I wonder why he hung out in that gloomy ol'crypt without a view! He obviously has money. Spike must have a phone as well.'

Buffy realised that maybe it was not a good time to call home; how was she going to explain what had happened to her. She knew instinctively that Willow would be devastated by Xander's betrayal and Giles would probably be heartbroken. Her Mom...oh god her Mom, what was she going to say? It was all good and well thinking they would adapt, draw the curtains and meet for dinner. But Buffy knew her Mom was gonna be devastated that her baby was a vampire. Buffy's eyes filled with tears at the imagined reaction of her mother, she turned her face into the pillow and began to cry.

Buffy's sobs increased and her entire body shook with the force of them.

And then they stilled when Buffy finally realised that there was one person she had forgotten.

Riley... Her boyfriend and lover...who had not tried to find her.

All the time she had been with Dracula Buffy had prayed that Riley would appear and rescue her from the depravity and pain that she had endured within the walls of Dracula's mansion. The blonde woman had lain unresisting under Drac's body as he surged into her, praying that Riley would appear stake in hand and save her.

But he had never come.

Spike had...her mortal enemy and reluctant ally had been the one to notice she was missing and came to save her.

Why hadn't Riley come?

Why had Spike come in his place?

Did Riley even care for her anymore? Had he even noticed she had missed their date the night Xander had kidnapped her?

Buffy curled up into a small ball and whimpered quietly, she knew that Riley had a very black and white view of the world. Vamps were evil and disgusting things only good for dusting, and humans were good and worth fighting for.

His Initiative training had instilled these beliefs in the ex-soldier, along with his strong religious convictions. Buffy cringed at the imagined disgust on the tall man's face when he discovered she was now a demon, he would never want to touch her...hold her or love her now. He would probably try to dust her, to put her out of his misery...

How was she ever going to face him? Did she even want to face him? What would she say? Buffy's heart ached as she imagined the look of sadness on Riley's face and then the disgust and rejection that would undoubtedly follow.

Buffy flopped onto her back and stared blankly at the ceiling. She was confused and scared. She had feelings for Riley but now after tasting Spike's blood she was in a muddle. Everything was different now. She could feel it...something had shifted inside her and Buffy knew that her destiny wasn't with Riley. The thought saddened her. Her chance at normal had disappeared with an unexpected betrayal and the sting of Dracula's fangs in her throat.

Buffy's breath hitched in her chest and she began to cry again.

*********

Spike snorted and rolled onto his back. He gradually began to wake; something was tugging at his heart. He could feel through their link that Buffy was upset. Spike opened his eyes and glared at the ceiling. He wanted to go to his Childe but was unsure as to whether or not she would stake him. His sharp ears picked up a quiet sniffle, which broke his heart. Spike groaned and rolled to his feet. Even when he had been with Dru, he had never been able to resist her tears. It appeared that poofy instinct had transferred to Buffy now as well.

"Bollocks, sodding hell and, for shits and giggles, bloody hell!" Spike muttered under his breath as he stomped up the stairs. He got halfway up and paused. Spinning on his heel, he stomped back down.

"Bloody whipped, aren't I?"

Spike sank down into a chair at the dining table and rested his head in his hands. He spotted his duster slung over the chair next to him. Spike patted his pockets and pulled out a pack of cigarettes. He lit one and puffed on it. Inhaling deeply, he relished the rush of nicotine. He puffed on it for about two more seconds before he heard another pathetic sniffle from upstairs. Stubbing it out in one of the many ashtrays that littered the cabin, Spike sighed.

He stalked upstairs and paused at the door. His pale hand hovered over the door handle again. Spike hesitated. It was only when he heard a really loud sniff followed by a hiccup that his hand descended and he tried to open the door. 'Soddin bint locked it! What did she think I was gonna do, leap on her skinny body and shag her into next Tuesday? Well... I might have done!' Spike sighed and then with a sharp twist of his wrist, broke the lock and pushed the door open.

He was greeted with the sight of Buffy curled up into a little ball on the bed. Her back was to him and shaking with sorrow as she cried.

"Oh Pet. Come on, none of that!"

Spike's long strides brought him to the bed. He crawled onto it and curled around the huddled form of his weeping Childe. He wrapped his arm around her and slid the other under her neck, curling it round so that his hand rested over hers.

Buffy sniffed and to Spike's surprise turned in his arms and nestled against his chest. "My Mom is going to be so upset with me!" she whimpered.

"Course she won't, Luv. She'll be pleased to have you home safe," Spike crooned as he cradled her gently against him.

Buffy shook her head, "No she won't. I'm dead," she wailed.

"Well un-dead, and not likely to snuff it anymore, are you?" Spike cautiously pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

"What do you mean, all it takes is a stake and poof! No more Buffy."

"Hardly luv, Drac's a tough bastard to stake, tried it in Venice once and he reappeared in a puff of black smoke, bet you can do the same trick." Spike paused. "I wonder if you can turn into a bat, too?"

Buffy tipped her head up and stared at Spike as if he had just said he was a ballerina and asked if she'd like to see him in a pink Tutu.

"Huh?"

"Drac's got a load of party tricks and seeing you have the lumpie free face and the pretty purple eyes- turning into smoke, I figure you got all the mod cons." Spike explained. He resisted pressing a kiss to her soft lips, which were inches away from his.

"Really?" Doubt coloured her voice.

Spike nodded, "m'sure of it, come luv, you know you're special!" He teased.

A watery smile appeared on her face, "I am?"

"Stop fishing for compliments, Slayer," he growled.

"Okay." Buffy snuggled her head under his chin. Spike groaned as he felt her soft lips on his chest. "Sleep now?" She pushed all her worries about her friends, family and Riley from her mind and inhaled the comforting scent of her Sire.

"As you wish, love." Spike sniffed at her hair and his senses were filled with her unique scent. He sighed happily and dozed off, Buffy following suit.

*******

It was the bird song that woke Buffy from her deep sleep, the first proper sleep she had had since being turned. Not counting the magical coma Drac had put her in. She felt a hundred percent better, and she instinctively knew it was because of the vampire wrapped around her. She awkwardly rolled her head back, and eyed the snoring vampire. She wondered why he snored - if it was a left over habit or purely instinctive. 'He is kinda cute when he's asleep...Actually, he's always been a hottie, I just never let myself look too closely...well, not since Will's stupid spell.'

Spike was pulled from a deep sleep; his predatory nature warning him that he was being watched. He opened one blue eye and was faced with a smiling Buffy.

"Mornin', Pet." He reluctantly released his hold on her and flopped over onto his back. To his surprise Buffy followed his movements and flopped on top of him. She wrapped a leg around his hip and slung her arm over his chest. He opened one eye and stared down at her in surprise.

"You okay, Slayer?"

"Yep, hungry now." Buffy blinked up at Spike. She smiled hopefully, revealing her sharp little fangs.

"So go get some blood. I stocked up; it's in the fridge." Spike teased, aware that she was hoping for his blood.

Buffy pouted, well as best she could around her fangs.

Spike rolled his eyes. "All right, but don't make a habit of this!" He warned. 'As if you'd ever say no to her.'

Buffy shuffled up and sank her teeth into the same spot she had drunk from earlier. She braced herself for the images that would follow, but this time there were none. Only feelings, feelings that she never considered a soulless vampire would have.

Tenderness, caring, lust and more importantly love. She paused in her drinking; lifting her head up Buffy stared at Spike in shock.

"Wot?" He asked defensively.

"You love me?" Buffy squeaked.

"Bugger...should've know m'blood would give me away...now don't get your knickers in a knot." Spike tried to ease away and failed, there was a Slayer shaped limpet clamped to his torso. "Lemme up, Sweets," he coaxed gently.

"Spike! You love me! That's why you saved me and Sired me!" Buffy tightened her grip on the now frantically wriggling vampire. She pulled herself over and straddled his waist. "Nu uh, you're not going anywhere."

Spike tried not to groan, moan or whimper pathetically at the sight of his golden goddess straddling him with blood stained lips. It was the stuff of his wildest dreams. "Buffy, you're killing me here."

She tilted her head and examined Spike, wondering why he was so embarrassed. "Spike, I don't understand."

"What," he growled defensively. "That a soulless beast like me has feelings and shock horror, fancies himself in love with you?" He arched upwards trying to toss her off. "Let me go now!" He snarled and then whimpered as his motions brought his aching cock against the soft juncture of her thighs.

Buffy hesitated for a second; her eyes widened at the frisson of excitement Spike's movements sent through her body. "Spike?" Her hazel eyes were filled with confusion and a large amount of desire.

"Slayer...Love...Pet, please either get off me or get me off," Spike moaned desperately.

"Crude much?" Buffy teased. His guttural words had shaken her too the core. She knew she was playing with fire, but now she didn't mind getting burnt. "Spike, open your eyes," she softly ordered.

Without hesitation the pinned vampire opened is eyes and stared up at her. A mixture of devotion and fear in his pale blue eyes.

"Faith once taught me something I was too scared to try...well, until now." Buffy smiled down at the confused Master Vampire.

He cocked his head. "What was that then, sweetness?"

"It's Want...Take...Have..."

As she whispered the final word, Buffy leant forward and caught Spike's lips in a sweet gentle kiss, one that blew his mind and made his toes curl...
Chapter 8 by Schehrezade
To Peta for all her hard work and support – thank you - you must read her fantastic fic I have it in my favs!

RSK my muse – love yah!!

Single quotation marks = thoughts

Without further ado chapter 8…


Chapter Eight

Joyce woke suddenly.

She could feel someone watching her.

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she sat up.

"Didn't mean to startle you, Mrs Summers."

Joyce slid backwards until her shoulders hit the headboard. "Who…who the hell are you?"

"A friend…well, a messenger from the Powers." Whistler shifted uneasily as he watched the Slayer's mother glare at him. "See where your daughter got it from…the glare that is!"

"Buffy? Where is she? Have you seen her?" Joyce leapt from the bed and rushed over to the short demon.

"She's fine…safe." Whistler patted Joyce awkwardly on her shoulder.

"She is!" Joyce's eyes filled with tears of relief. "Oh…thank god…"

Wiping the tears from her face she wrapped her arms around Whistler who struggled slightly. Joyce pulled back. "Sorry about that, it's just I was so worried."

Whistler straightened his jacket. "No problem…uh…"

"Where is she? Can I see her?" Joyce asked hopefully.

Whistler stared at Joyce, and sighed. "She's safe, with Spike…"

"Spike? I thought so…when he was here earlier asking about helping…I knew he'd help out whoever was in trouble. I just didn't realise it was my little girl!" Joyce managed to suppress the innate motherly instinct to go to her lost child.

She knew that for now Buffy would have to find her own path. Joyce rubbed her hand over her eyes and hoped that Spike would protect Buffy and keep her safe until she was home. Part of her knew that Spike would protect her daughter with his life. Their conversations over hot chocolate had revealed to the older Summers woman a caring side that the usually defensive vampire rarely let show.

She could only hope Spike would be there for Buffy.

"He's been a surprise to us all, including himself…" Whistler grinned. "She's safe, I promise."

"Thank you. I forgot her, how could I forget my baby girl?" Joyce's eyes filled with tears. "I'm a bad…"

"No, don't say it! It was magic, nothing you could control…" Whistler tried to reassure her. "What happened is done and now you have to be there for her."

Joyce nodded. "Can I see her?"

Whistler began to edge out of the door. "Uh…not yet, she needs time. The Slayer'll be back soon…be ready for her." With that he vanished.

"Time?" Joyce shouted. "What for?"

"Mom?" Dawn staggered sleepily out of her room; she had been awoken by Joyce's screaming.

"What's wrong? Is it Buffy?"

Joyce looked over at her youngest. "Buffy's safe, a smelly little man just came to see me!" A large smile of relief spread across her face.

Dawn squealed and wrapped her arms around her mother. The noise from the two Summers women woke the rest of the house.

Joyce quickly explained what had occurred.

"He didn't give his name?" Giles asked. His clothes were rumpled and his eyes were swollen with tiredness.

"No, all he said was that he was a messenger from the Powers. Who are the Powers?" Joyce wrapped her arms around Dawn and hugged her close. Gaining comfort from her younger daughter.

"Powers?" Willow frowned in confusion.

"They are essentially a group of higher beings that control the balance between good and evil." Giles explained. "I believe Buffy met one of their representatives during the Acathla incident. She described Whistler as a short smelly demon with a New York accent."

Joyce tilted her head. "That sounds like the not-so-fragrant man who was in my room. I wonder if it was the same person?"

"Probably…" Giles rubbed his hand through his hair. "I imagine he works with the Slayer line…I'll need to research."

Tara had stood quietly listening. "Um…what did he mean Spike was taking care of Buffy?"

Her softly spoken words stilled all the conversations.

"Spike?" Giles frowned. "He's looking after Buffy? How and why?"

Joyce shook her head. "I don't know, all he said was she was safe and needed some time. Then she would be back. We need to hold tight."

Willow nodded. "So we have to wait for Buffy, but maybe we can try and get Xander in the interim?"

Anya nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, I want him back! Soon…"

"Right then, we need to locate and capture him. Willow, I need you and Tara to work on a location spell." Giles turned to the two Wiccans. "I know you've tried before, but maybe whatever was blinding us to Buffy's presence was also preventing us from sensing Xander."

Willow and Tara nodded.

"Okay, but how are we going to stop him from leaving us again?" Willow asked nervously.

"Chains! I'll get some from the flat." Anya chirped and then dashed out the front door.

"I guess we don't want to know why they have chains…" Willow shuddered.

Joyce covered Dawn's ears. "Wish she hadn't shared!"

"Indeed…" Giles sighed.

"What can I do?" Dawn asked hopefully.

"Get ready for school," Joyce ordered.

"Mom!" Dawn whined.

"Dawnnnn!" Joyce grinned and pushed the teen into her room. "Go get ready."

------------------------

"No, stop luv…" Spike caught hold of Buffy's hands.

Buffy pulled away from kissing and nibbling Spike's pale throat. She struggled against his gentle grip. She pouted down at Spike. "Why?"

Spike gritted his teeth, as he felt Buffy wriggle against his straining erection. "You're not ready for this," he told her though his body was screaming the opposite. To emphasis it's point his hips jerked against her warm softness.

Buffy's thighs tightened around his hips and she ground herself down, a soft moan escaping from her mouth.

"Buffy, luv we need to slow down…" Spike gritted his teeth, his hands gripping her wrists gently as he nudged her writhing body off his.

"Spike…why?" Buffy asked again. Her lower lip trembled and tears filled her eyes. "It's okay, I understand…I'm gross…" She scrambled off the bed and ran from the room.

Spike sighed. "Balls…" He sat up and winced as his aching cock pressed against the cold metal teeth of his jeans. He glanced down, "'bout dam right, balls…or more like blue ones!" He gingerly stood up, adjusting himself and Spike sighed again. He could hear Buffy stomping around downstairs, muttering under her breath.

"Stupid Vampire! What's wrong with him? I'm all…Spike!" Buffy span around at the sound of Spike's quiet descent down the stairs; he was crouched at the foot of the staircase watching her pace.

Her vampiric hearing had kicked in with a vengeance, she frowned at the sight of the shirtless vamp crouched staring at her. "Leave me alone!" she yelled and ran into the kitchen. Buffy was embarrassed by his rejection and unsure of why she had jumped Spike. 'Okay, I always thought he was cute…but he's a vamp…so no way, no how!' Buffy ran her hands through her hair as she continued to think. She had forgotten for a brief moment that she was a vampire as well now.

"Slayer?"

Spike hadn't moved from his position. He was confused and aroused. He admitted to himself that he had always thought the Slayer was gorgeous, but he had been trying to kill her most of the time, not shag her. Now everything had changed, he felt something…something that could be classified as love…attraction…lust? But he wasn't sure if it was the Sire/Childe bond, he didn't think so but was nervous about taking the attraction further in case that was all it was.

He had never created a Childe and didn't know if these feelings were normal. 'Normal? Ha! What's normal about any of this…?' Spike shifted his weight and sank back on his heels. 'S'not like I can call Peaches and ask him what he felt like when he sired Dru. First off, Angelus probably didn't feel anything except Darla shaggin him into the ground, next to Dru in the Nunnery...'

He rubbed his hands over his face and sighed. It was all too much. When Joyce had said it was a good thing to help, he had agreed. But now he didn't know how! "Buffy, luv…" he whispered. Spike's voice cracked as he called to her.

Buffy stiffened at the sound of her name whispered with such confusion and longing. She kept her back to Spike and glared sightlessly at the fridge. Buffy knew if she turned around that she would want him again.

Buffy bit her lower lip and her eyes watered. One of her fangs had pierced her lower lip.

Spike froze at the intoxicating scent of his Childe's blood. His cock hardened even more. 'It's gonna drop off at this rate!' he grimaced down at the bulge in his jeans.

'Don't look at him…all tousle haired, confused and sexy…' Buffy slapped herself on the forehead. "Not sexy!" she muttered and then sighed. "Who am I kidding, he is…" Her shoulders slumped. 'But he's obviously disgusted by the new and not so improved me…hence, the pushing away…'
"Don't keep hurting yourself, Slayer." Spike whispered. He still remained crouched like a gargoyle at the base of the stairs. Spike winced at the sound of concern in his voice. He also smirked at the compliment Buffy had given him. 'Sexy, am I?' He opened his mouth to call her on this, but was interrupted.

Buffy whirled around at the sound of her Sire's voice. She stared sphinx-like at the shirtless vampire watching her closely. 'God, he's gorgeous…much better than Riley.' With her last thought Buffy flinched. "Oh god…Riley!" She shrieked.

Spike shut his eyes. 'Well, that got rid of my boner…' The delicious memory of her saying he was sexy was pushed aside by her mentioning the overgrown nit.

Buffy ran over to Spike and pulled him up. "I need a phone, now!" She shook the unresisting vampire hard in her panic, her sharp nails breaking his pale skin.

Spike glared down at the frantic Slayer. "Right, Spike won't play so you want Captain Cardboard…" Hurt coloured his voice and he clenched his jaw, trying not to strangle Buffy…not that it would've made any difference.

"What? No! I just wanted to…I don't know what I wanted…everything is too much." Buffy's eyes filled with tears and she began to sob.

Spike pulled himself free from her clutching hands and gently ran his finger over her wounded lower lip. Unable to resist the call of her blood he licked his finger.

Spike's eyes rolled back in his head and the powerful taste of Buffy's blood. He shivered at the sensations that flooded his system and growled. "I need to replace all the blood you've taken from me." He growled coldly and pushed Buffy away before stalking into the kitchen.

"Spike…" Buffy whimpered. "I'm sorry…" She wrapped her arms around her small form and watched Spike moving mechanically around the kitchen. She knew bringing up Riley was a bad move and now Spike was angry with her.

The small woman was terrified and had wanted to grasp at something familiar, familiar like Riley. But she had no idea why… All Buffy knew was that she needed to make amends. Spike had come through for her, when no one else had.

Spike nodded abruptly and busied himself preparing blood for the both of them. "Don't apologise, Slayer. I know you think I'm nothing…just something to be toyed with," he sighed. His shoulders slumped, he was tired and confused, the night before last he had been alone in his crypt and now he had a Childe.

He was at a loss; something he was getting used to these days - ever since the chip, Spike had felt hopeless. The blond vampire was beginning to feel the weight of the responsibility of accepting Drac's offer of Buffy. He hated that the strong warrioress was now a vampire and whether or not she knew it, dependant on him. Spike also was not too sure if he wanted the responsibility.

"Spike?" Buffy put her hand on his shoulder and turned him to face her.

Spike stared down at the floor, refusing to meet her eyes. He was channelling his inner William; he hated himself for it, but something about the small blonde in front of him was evoking these reactions. Bringing up long repressed memories of the git he had been. Her rejection of him and wanting her soldier boy had brought back memories of Cecily's rejection. And he hated it!

"Look at me," she pleaded with him as she cupped his chin and lifted his head up.

Spike shut his eyes, unwilling to expose himself for more 'kick the Spike.'

Buffy stomped her foot in rising frustration. "Open your eyes…please," she whispered.

It was the softly whispered please that reached Spike. He opened his eyes and stared at the tearful face of his Childe. Something inside him flinched at the sorrowful expression in her face. He stood still and looked at her. 'Not gonna open myself up to any more of her games…'

'Great, he's doing that 'I can see right through you into your soul' stare! I wish I could do that...' Buffy released his chin and wiped her face with the back of her hands.

Spike tried and failed not to smile at her childlike antics. 'She really is cute…'

"I'm sorry, really sorry. I shouldn't have shaken you like that or brought up, you know who." Buffy jumped at the sound of the microwave pinging.

"Right." Spike spun and pulled open the microwave door. He was stunned by her apology; the Slayer never apologised to the likes of him. The chipped vampire had no idea how to handle this.

"Spike?" Buffy was surprised, she had expected the cocky vampire to gloat or comment at her apology. She had not expected his shy reaction and complete silence.

"Here, drink this." Spike handed her a mug of blood. He ducked his head and looked at her through his eyelashes. The vampire's stormy blue eyes were filled with questions and hope.

"Thanks…"Buffy gingerly took the mug and glared at the contents. "This time you're staying down," she griped at the crimson fluid. 'Just pretend it's a cherry Slurpie…'

Spike blinked at the tiny blonde and sipped his blood, hiding his grin behind the mug. He sat down at the dining table and watched worriedly as Buffy drained the heated animal blood. He tensed waiting for her to puke it all up again.

"Bleeeech!" She stuck her tongue out and shook her head while scrunching her face up. Buffy shivered dramatically. "Ta…daa…" she flourished the empty mug under Spike's nose before turning and putting it in the sink.

Spike tried to suppress a smile at his Childe's antics but failed. He dipped his head and covered his mouth with his hand and grinned at the cuteness of his girl. Coughing he wiped the grin off his face and straightened.

"Rinse it out luv," Spike commented idly. "Blood is a bugger to wash off ceramics once it gets all crusty." He regretted the words as soon as they were out of his mouth.

Buffy retched at the image that floated into her mind. She clamped her hand over her mouth. "Oh no! Spiiiikee!" she wailed through her fingers.

"Bollocks!" Spike leapt to his feet and raced over to the heaving form of his Childe.

Buffy looked up at him, her eyes were watering. She looked miserable. "I'm a crap vampire…" She muttered through her hands. "I can't even drink blood without wanting to puke my guts up!"

Spike wrapped his arm around her shuddering form. "Hang on, luv. Spike's got yah," With that he vamped out and slashed his fangs across his free wrist. "Here, this'll help…" He thrust his bleeding wrist in front of Buffy's face.

Buffy wrapped her hands around his proffered wrist and pulled it to her mouth.

Spike groaned at the sensation of her soft lips on his skin. He hardened again as he felt Buffy suckling on his blood. "Oh pet…" He pulled her across his body and held her against him, in a classic vampiric hold.

Only this time he wasn't taking blood but giving it.

Buffy ran her tongue over the closing wound trying to get as much of Spike's rich blood as she could. A wealth of feelings flooded her. Buffy could sense his worry for her. She could also sense his confusion, frustration, his hatred and anger at Drac and most importantly she could sense his fierce protectiveness of her.

Most importantly, the deeply hidden love he held for her- so deep that Buffy sensed he wasn't completely aware of it. She groaned and pulled his wrist closer to her lips and at the same time pushed backwards and ground herself against his hardness, which pressed urgently against her.

Sighing she reluctantly pulled away from Spike's pale wrist. Buffy turned in his arms and looked up at him. "Thank you, I feel better."

Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike's waist and pulled him closer, relishing the close contact as well as his obvious arousal. Blinking up at him coyly, she grinned impishly. "I guess you aren't turned off by me being a vamp?" Buffy held her breath nervously, amazed that she had voiced her deepest fear so easily.

Spike inhaled sharply, her scent flooding his senses. Closing his eyes he swallowed hard; reaching up he wrapped his long fingers in her hair and pressed his lips to her forehead. "Never said that," he whispered against her cool flesh.

"But you pushed me away…" Buffy pouted.

Spike feathered soft kisses over her forehead and then buried his face in her fragrant hair. "No luv, was worried you were acting on the Sire/Childe bond…I've never sired a Childe, so this is all new territory for me, Slayer."

"I sensed what you felt when I was drinking from you, Spike," Buffy whispered into his neck. Her lips brushed over the mark she had left earlier. A shiver ran through both of them.

Spike pulled away slightly and gazed down in surprise. He had never sensed anything when he had drunk from Dru.

"What!" Spike tried to pull away, embarrassed. Buffy growled at his moving away and pulled him back closer. If he could Spike would have blushed all the way down to his toes.

Buffy ran her hands over the soft pale skin on his back, trying to reassure the embarrassed vampire in her arms. "I got all your feelings, all of them." She repeated to ensure that Spike had heard her and wouldn't weasel out of anything.

'Bugger…think fast, mate!' Spike shifted slightly and his grip tightened around her.

Buffy nudged her head under his chin, smiling against him. "Don't even try to cover up, Spikey…" She sing-songed, feeling braver now that she was aware of her Sire's feelings.

Spike slumped in her arms, defeated. "Bloody women, can't keep anything from them!"

"Nope!" Buffy grinned wickedly and pinched his firm behind. Pulling out of his arms she grinned mischievously as she danced away from his reaching arms.

"Buffy…come 'ere…" Spike chased after the whirling blonde dervish.

Buffy leapt over the back of the couch and flopped onto her back. "Ommph!"

Spike landed on top of her and pressed his lean body against her soft welcoming curves. "You are amazing, luv…" With that he kissed her, ravishing her mouth with his.

Buffy eagerly responded. Her hands ran over his back and shoulders as the kiss deepened. "It's so weird. I feel safe with you…" she gasped against his demanding lips.

Spike pulled back and pressed fevered kisses over her face and neck. He growled softly when he felt her soft lips peppering his throat with kisses.

"I promise I'll protect you with everything I am," Spike swore as he kissed her closed eyes.

"You might need a hand with that," a voice interrupted the two vampires.


A/N Hee hee cliffhanger!! SO now we're all caught up with my postings elswhere so I'm afraid that from now on it'll be weekly updates - sorry...
Chapter 9 by Schehrezade
Dedications – RSK you are my rock – hugs
Peta where would I be without you??? You have saved all my fics by being such a fantastic beta. Thank you.

A/N – PassionFish has given my baby a pretty award – I have is posted on my LJ and as soon as the site is updated it’ll be there – THANK YOU so much!!

Single Quote marks = thoughts

Chapter 9

“Ahh!” Buffy shrieked in fright and vanished in a puff of black smoke.

Spike fell face forward on the couch. Pushing himself up he smirked.

“Well that answers that question. Guess she did get Drac’s magic tricks!” He glared over at the two figures, which stood in the doorway. “Who are you and why shouldn’t I kill you?”

The shorter of the two unwanted guests stepped forward. “She gonna be making a reappearance any time soon?”

Spike shrugged nonchalantly; he rubbed his hands through his hair and tried not to glance up at the gallery where Buffy had re-appeared a second after her disappearance.

“You smell like a demon,” he stated shortly and vamped out.

“Easy there, big boy!” Whistler jumped back as Spike lunged to his feet.

“Spike, wait!” Buffy called as she straightened from behind the banisters. “I know him, and her…but I don’t understand. You’re supposed to be dead!”

“Well, we all are. Except for him,” Kendra pointed at Whistler. Her stern features lightened slightly as she flashed a brief smile at Buffy, who had hesitantly walked down the stairs and sat down beside Spike. She took his hand and squeezed it hard.

“Hullo Buffy, long time no see…” she waved at her fellow slayer.

“Ke…Kendra, what are you doing here? Or more to the point, how?” Buffy stared suspiciously at the unusually silent Whistler.

“Who’s the bint?” Spike asked curiously.

“I am dee Slayer Drucilla killed, you know the one that you thought it was a ‘good on her’ for murdering?” Kendra crossed her arms over her chest and glared at Spike. A tiny smile tickled the corner of her mouth at the sight of Spike’s jaw dropping and the sheepish expression on his face.

“Uh…sorry pet…” he glanced over at Buffy and then down at their linked hands. His scarred brow shot up at the sight of their fingers entwined. He squeezed her hand gently and smiled shyly at her.

“Nice trick with the poofing, luv,” he whispered with a proud look on his face.

“So we all know each other? Great. Can we get down to business.” Whistler interrupted. “Kendra asked to come here to help Buffy out with her transition and I’m here to fill you in on the sitch. That’s if you two have finished batting eyelashes at each other?”

“Button it, short round!” Spike glared at the irritating demon.

“Spike…let him talk,” Buffy interjected. She looked over at Kendra and tried to smile.

“I warned you de vampires are trouble…but this one seems to be alright.” Kendra sat down on the coffee table opposite Buffy and put a reassuring hand on her sister Slayer’s knee. “Even if he has funny coloured hair,” she added with a grin.

Spike snorted at her comment. A gleam in his eyes belying his aggravation, he reached over and tugged at a braid. “Like the Bo Derek look, Slayer.” He smirked at the expression of surprise on Kendra’s face.

She flicked her braids over her shoulder.

“You know if I wasn’t dead and you weren’t a friend of Buffy’s, you’d be drawing back a bloody nub instead of your hand.”

“Enough with the posturing, kiddies.” Whistler sank down into an armchair and sighed tiredly. “There’s a lot to go through here.”

“Why are you here and do I need to rip your ribcage out for anything?” Buffy glared at Whistler.

“As I said last time we met, white flag already. I’m here to help!” Whistler leant forward and stared at Buffy.

Buffy shifted uneasily and glanced over at Kendra and Spike. “Stop staring at me!”

“Sorry, but you kinda threw us for a loop…as usual.” Whistler glanced over at Kendra.

“She’s like that, always wrong footing the lot of us,” Spike reached over with his free hand and ran his index finger over Buffy’s cheek.

“Yeah, but so did you!” Whistler added. “The Powers didn’t expect you to step into the mix, but they’re glad you did!” He nodded in appreciation.

“Yeah…right, not like I could leave her there with the Tranny git!” Spike snorted.

“Very true,” Kendra nodded. “He deserves to die for what he has done.”

Buffy paled and huddled against Spike, she tried to suppress the images that flooded her mind and failed. Tears filled her eyes.

“I’m real sorry kid, it wasn’t supposed to go down the way it did.” Whistler sighed.

“What do you mean?” Buffy whispered as she dashed the tears from her face with her free hand.

Spike remained silent, his eyes turning gold as his demon was close to the surface. All he could hear over and over was it wasn’t meant to go down like this. ‘Sodding Powers…’ a growl erupted from his chest. Unable to keep quiet, “what do you mean?”

Kendra shifted uneasily. “Buffy was supposed to meet Dracula much later and defeat him. Xander’s actions were not expected,” she told them as she turned to Buffy. “You’ll have to face him eventually…”

Spike frowned. “You mean, this wasn’t supposed to happen?” He reached over and pulled Buffy onto his lap and wrapped his arms around her.

“No, the Powers didn’t see this coming and had to move heaven and earth to make sure Buffy kept her soul...and to make the transition easier on you both.” Whistler turned to Buffy. “I’m really sorry that you were turned, if I had known I would’ve tried to stop it.” Genuine concern coloured his features.

Buffy gave him a watery smile. “Thanks, I think…” She snuggled into Spike’s arms, drawing strength from him.

“How did you make the transition easier,” Spike asked suspiciously. “Don’t like the idea of anyone else meddling with my noggin…”

“Well, we sorta made sure you both would rely on each other more readily, nothing more I swear.” Whistler held his hands up. “The feelings were already there, they just kinda nudged it along a bit.”

“So you mean…we…us…” Buffy trailed off, uncertain as to what she was trying to say.

“There was a spark there already, even if neither of you were ready to admit it.” Kendra interjected, trying to save Buffy any more discomfort.

Spike smirked. “So, Slayer had a yen for the Big Bad?” he teased, trying to lighten the situation.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him, “So, the Big Bad had a yen for the Slayer,” she mocked with a grin.

Kendra and Whistler groaned at their antics.

“Look, save the smushy stuff till later, okay?” Whistler teased.

“Sorry! Continue on the expositiony stuff, please.” Buffy looked over at Whistler expectantly.

“As I said, you weren’t supposed to die, so the boys upstairs intervened,” Whistler replied.

“Just like that?” Spike eyed the two representatives of the Powers suspiciously. There had to be more to this than ‘oh we decided to intervene’.

Buffy kept quiet and watched the other three as they avoided looking at each other. Kendra’s attention was focused on her, the dead Slayer’s face was stern as usual, but there was also a hint of compassion in her eyes.

Spikes’ grip tightened around Buffy as Whistler sat in silence. He was either unwilling or unable to answer. The blond vampire was starting to get pissed off with the small demon; the muscles in his jaw began to tick as he ground his teeth.

“Hey, I don’t make the rules here- just a messenger, Spike- so don’t shoot or bite me, okay?” Whistler was getting tired and wanted to get them on track and leave before either of the vampire’s ripped his rib cage out.

“Stop skirting around it an spit it out, you git!” Spike snarled.

“Okay, so Buffy getting turned? Not on the cards. Powers decided to help as best they could, hence the soul! You getting her out? Not something we expected, there was a chance and presto you stepped up to the plate. Kudos to you, William the Bloody…”

Spike growled before Whistler could reveal his deepest gitty secret.

“Spike, stop with the growlies and let him talk.” Buffy wapped him on the chest and then turned back to Whistler. “Continue,” she regally waved a hand.

“Okay, so you’re a vamp with a soul, FYI it’s secure, so don’t worry about that.” Whistler added.

Buffy and Kendra both winced at the memory of Angelus’s last appearance. Kendra’s hand shot to her throat as she felt Dru’s talons slitting through her skin again.

“Powers need you as a Champion, there is stuff coming up and no one else can handle it. But I guess now there are two of you to handle it?” Whistler asked slyly.

Spike jerked in his seat. “I’ll protect her with my unlife…even if that means working for the good guys.” He looked down at Buffy, “she’s my Childe and I’ll protect her till I’m dust.”

Buffy pressed a small kiss to the underside of his jaw. “Thank you.” She was stunned at the way Spike had agreed so easily to help her, but her mother hadn’t raised a fool, so not looking the gift horse in the mouth here!

“What’s coming?” Spike asked after he recovered from the surprise at Buffy’s little kiss and the wealth of gratitude and relief in her eyes as she gazed up at him.

“Best we can tell, there is a major badass coming to Sunnydale, looking for something to help it get home.” Whistler pulled off his hat and fiddled with the rim. “The Powers can’t sense anything else, it’s as if it’s shielded somehow. They get bursts of info and then nothing…really weird. But before you start squawking, anything turns up I will come straight to you, okay?”

“Really? Cos usually you and the, what did you call em? Powers? Never heard of them!” Buffy shrugged and continued, “you guys usually leave me fighting blind and alone.”

“You can thank her for the change in attitude,” Whistler pointed at Kendra.

“Huh?” Buffy glanced over at the silent Slayer.

“I’ve been talking to dem, making dem see they need to help more,” Kendra shrugged.

Whistler laughed. “Yeah right, more like yelled at them continuously for the last few years, till they gave in! She has been amazing!”

Buffy leant over and grabbed Kendra’s hand. “Thank you…”

“After I saw how you worked with others, I realised a Slayer didn’t need to be alone. When I died, I figured that the Powers should be more friendly.”

“And she kept at em till they gave in!” Whistler shook his head at the memories of Kendra facing off with his bosses.

“Good on you, pet.” Spike nodded his thanks. “Let’s hope they keep helpin’ out.”

“Dey will, I promise.” Kendra nodded firmly.

“So there’s a bad ass coming to town, but what about Dracula? I want to kill him for what he’s done to me.” Buffy vamped out to illustrate her point.

Kendra eyed the fangs and lavender eyes. “Pretty…though I never thought a vampire could be…”

“Isn’t she, just?” Spike interjected proudly.

“Okay, mutual adoration society, focus. Drac is difficult to kill, you need to stake him when he’s at his most vunerable, which from what we can tell is when he disappears into the ether. Something you can do as well now, Buffy. Once he’s staked, his dust will reappear and then you need to bury it on consecrated ground at all four points of the compass.” Whistler leant back in the armchair.

“That’s it? How do we get round the thrall?” Spike asked dryly.

“Dat’s where I come in.” Kendra reached for Spike and Buffy’s hands. “Before I go, I want you to know I’ll watch over you Buffy, and you too Spike, to make sure you do right by her.”

“What are you gonna do, Kendra?” Buffy slipped her fingers through her fellow Slayer’s.

“I got dem to give me a leetle bit of sumthin to make you immune to all magicks and glamours, it’ll help you fight that vampire on a fair playing field.” With that Kendra began to glow, the white light channelled through her hands and illuminated Buffy and Spike. As the power transferred, Kendra vanished.

A white light glowed in both Buffy and Spike’s eyes and they fell back on the sofa, both gasping for breath.

“Hurts like a bitch, doesn’t it?” Whistler watched them as they tried to regain control of their muscles.

“Ouch!” Buffy rubbed her stomach and huddled against Spike.

“Bloody bint, what did she do?” Spike groaned.

“Made you immune to magical influence, thralls and any other mystical mumbo jumbo anyone or thing tries to throw at you. Pretty cool, huh?” Whistler rubbed his stomach as he remembered when the Powers had infused him with the same talisman.

“Oookay…” Buffy whimpered.

Whistler stood. “Well, I better be going. Slayer, your Ma and your friends know you are okay. I popped over and told her not to worry and that you’d be back in a few days. Figured you needed some time to adjust and, whatever else you have in mind…” Whistler smirked at the two figures on the sofa. “So don’t do anything I wouldn’t, I’ll be around if you need me.” Whistler stood and adjusted his hat.

“Oh, and Buffy? Try and remember that you have already received your gift, so don’t do anything suicidal…” With that cryptic remark, he saluted and disappeared.

********

“It’s okay, Riley. You need to be in class; we’ll manage here.” Willow hung up the phone with a guilty expression on her face. She turned to face the others, who sat in various places around the Magic Box.

‘How could I ever think that Riley and I were the ones to protect Sunnydale? How could I forget Buffy…after everything she has done for me? Saving me from Darla’s minions all those years ago. Saving me from Moloch. Being there when Oz left…’ Memories of Buffy and her hanging out, becoming friends when no-one else at school had even spared her a glance, except to pick on her. It had all changed when Buffy had asked for her help to study. After that they became friends and then Willow entered into Buffy’s world of demons, vampires and magic. Magic that had given her confidence and allowed her to find her path. ‘All because of Buffy and her friendship.’

Willow’s eyes filled with tears; she bit her lower lip attempting to contain the sobs that tried to escape her mouth. ‘I have to be strong for Buffy…I need to get her back and help her. Then when she’s strong, we’ll destroy Dracula. I swear by Hecate, he and anyone else who hurt Buffy will pay.’

“Sweetie, you know we can’t risk taking him in there with us.” Tara came over and wrapped her arms around her distraught and upset girlfriend, her reassuring words pulling Willow away from her self-recriminations and back to the present.

Willow nodded and wrapped her arms around Tara, drawing strength and peace from her gentle lover. The guilt subsided for a brief moment. “We don’t know what’d happen if one of the Brides got their fangs into him.” Tara shuddered at the thought.

“Indeed, however we are limited in our resources. Buffy is, well…”

“Coming back,” Joyce interrupted Giles and glared angrily at him. “You will not write my baby girl off! Or Spike.” She gazed levelly at Giles, daring him to say anything derogatory about Spike. Since Whistler had visited her, Joyce had become Spike’s number one defender- well, after Dawn. Despite anything the Scoobies said, Joyce knew Spike would look after Buffy. He had been the only one to notice Buffy’ absence, for that Joyce was grateful and determined to support Spike against his detractors.

Giles nodded. “Right, sorry…but we are down our strongest fighters and going up against that infernal vampire is going to be a hard task.”

“But we have Willow and Tara, surely that will be a help?” Anya stepped over and wrapped her thin fingers around Giles’ arm, anxiety colouring her face.

“We’ll do everything we can,” Tara promised. Willow nodded furiously in agreement.

“What do we do?” Joyce asked.

“Well I suggest we find Dracula’s lair and watch and wait.” Giles reached over and grabbed the ropes and axe he had left on the table.

“Should we get a net?” Anya eyed the weapons on the table.

“A net?” Joyce frowned at Anya, completely perplexed.

“You know to catch him? Like the cartoons?” Anya explained. Completely unaware that the others were staring at her as if she were insane. She was used to the looks and ignored them as usual.

“Right, well. After that worrying insight into Anya’s mind I think we should get going.” Giles gave Anya a worried look and began to herd the others out of the shop.

Willow paused and watched as the others left. She was riddled with guilt and worry over Buffy. ‘I’m a bad friend...I never realised that anything was wrong. All the while we carried on as normal and Buffy was suffering. I need to fix this…’

********

“Can you see anything?” Anya hissed. She crawled over to Tara. Peering over her shoulder, the ex-demonness squinted at the map and the dowsing crystal.

Tara sighed. “No! Let me concentrate, please Anya.” The usually patient Wiccan was beginning to lose her temper.

“Let me, I have the closest relationship with Xander. Our parts interlock often.” Anya snatched the crystal from Tara and began to swing it over the map.

“Anya, I don’t think that you can do this, it’s not like you’re magically…” Willow trailed off at the sight of the crystal dropping to the map, as if magnetised. “Oh…well, that’s good…” Willow glanced over at Tara in surprise.

Anya rolled her eyes and folded her arms crossly over her chest. “Honestly, I sometimes think you all forget I was a powerful demon for over a 1000 years! Of course I can do magicks, I just chose not to rely on them for everyday things,” she added pointedly.

“Yes, quite…well done, Anya.” Giles leant over and checked the map. “If I’m not mistaken, that’s the Dog Pound?”

Joyce nodded. “Yes. Dawn makes me go there once a week. She wants a puppy.”

“Which you’d then end up walking.” Giles winked at Joyce in a moment of adult solidarity. Joyce nodded back with a warm smile.

“Come on, stop flirting. We need to go get Xander,” Anya whined.

“What…no…” Giles pulled off his glasses and began to polish them. Joyce looked away, a faint blush colouring her cheeks.

********

“Well, that’s a big castle!” Willow’s eyes were wide with shock. “How come no one has noticed it before?” She was positive that neither Riley nor herself had seen it when they had patrolled.

“Magic, I can smell it in the air.” Tara entwined her fingers through her lovers.

“So, do we storm it?” Anya swung her axe and bounced up and down excitedly.

“No, we wait for Xander,” Joyce explained patiently. “Where’s Giles?”

“Here.” Giles reappeared with Xander slung over his shoulder.

All four women stood and stared in surprise.

“How did you?…” Joyce’s jaw dropped in surprise.

“What happened?” Anya yelped. “Have you hurt him?”

“Oh! My Xander…” Willow reached out and ran her hand down Xander’s arm, reassuring herself that he was real. She was relieved that they had managed to get Xander back, but the relief was coloured with worry. ‘We sooo need to get Buffy back and help her get over what happened in Drac’s mansion.’

Willow shuddered at the horrible images that her over active imagination where drawing. She felt terrible. Willow knew that it hadn’t been her fault forgetting Buffy but as a result of that, god knows what had happened to her in that place. Willow’s eyes darkened slightly as she felt the tug of revenge pulling at her.

Tara glanced over at Willow and frowned slightly, she could feel dark magicks emanating from her sweet Willow, and it felt wrong…

Willow ignored the others and turned to stare up at the building, which housed Drac and silently swore revenge for all wrongs inflicted on her two best friends.

“Where did you find him?” Tara gave Giles a lop-sided grin. Trying to distract Willow from whatever was causing her to bristle with dark energy.

Tara’s voice pulled Willow’s attention away from the building and back to Xander. She ran her fingers through his mussed hair, the sensation of his soft hair soothed her.

Anya glared over at Willow and watched her hands move through Xander’s hair. “That’s my boyfriend you’re fondling intimately…Stop it please.”

Willow jerked her hand away and blinked in surprise at the fuming ex-demon, who stood with her arms folded and her foot tapping angrily. “Uh…sorry?”

“I am the only one allowed to fondle Xander,” Anya flipped her hair over her shoulder and patted Xander awkwardly on the head. “See!”

Willow nodded and turned to Giles. “So how did you find him so easily?” she echoed Tara’s ignored question.

“Well, while you were all nattering, I saw Xander come out of the side entrance, and I just hit him on the head with this.” Giles held up the axe in his free hand.

“You hit him with an axe!” Anya ran her hands over Xander’s head, checking for injuries.

“No Anya, I hit him with the blunt end. I think we should leave now before someone notices us.” Giles walked off, panting slightly at the added weight of Xander over his shoulder.

******

“So you managed to get rid of him?”

Dracula turned to the Bride next to him. He smiled and nodded.

“Indeed! He was beginning to bore me.”

“Now what?” the vampiress asked as she wrapped her arms around her Sire.

“We wait. I am curious to see what happens next.” Dracula pulled away from her arms. “Are our guests comfortable?” He tried to ignore the sensations that were pulsing from the red headed girl, he shivered and turned to look down at his precious Bride.

The tall beautiful vampiress wrinkled her nose and nodded. “They are comfortable. I don’t understand why you want them here?”

Dracula walked over to the edge of the Minstrels gallery and watched the group of scabby brown robed demons chanting.

“Because I have a feeling the next few weeks will be quite glorious…” He threw back his head and laughed.

A/N hope you enjoyed it?
Chapter 10 by Schehrezade
“Think we shoulda told Spike about you know what?” Whistler leant against the cabin and stared up at the sky. He waited for a moment and then nodded to the silent response.

“Fine! Let him find out on his own. Sometimes I have no idea what you guys are on!” With that he shimmered out of sight.

*********

Buffy glanced over at Spike and gave him a small smile.

Spike peeked through his long lashes at his Childe and returned her smile bashfully.

Buffy slid closer to her Sire and rested her head on his bare shoulder. She sighed. Despite everything that had happened, she was content.

Buffy felt safer with Spike than she ever had. Everything they had been through in that last twenty-four hours had brought the erstwhile enemies closer.

Spike reached over and laid his hand over Buffy’s stomach, his fingers absently massaging the soft skin.

Buffy wriggled closer. Warmth spread through her stomach from the sensation of Spike’s soothing massage, chasing away the lingering aches that Kendra’s magicks had left.

“Feels good,” she hummed happily. Pushing her head under Spike’s chin she inhaled deeply, drawing in the earthy male scent of her Sire into her lungs. She felt safe and loved.

Spike rested his head on top of Buffy’s. He felt content, for the first time in his unlife.

“You okay?” he whispered.

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, bit shell-shocked, so much has happened so quickly…I guess that it’ll take time to adjust to everything.”

Spike snorted. “Understatement of the century, pet.” He pulled his Slayer onto his lap and wrapped his arms around her slight form.

Tilting her face up towards him Spike gazed into her eyes. “You’re amazing, you know?” He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead.

“I…can’t …thank you enough for getting me away from…” Buffy trailed off at the loud rumble that emanated from Spike’s stomach. She raised a fine eyebrow at Spike.

“Sorry pet, kinda spoiled the moment, didn’t I?” Spike grimaced as his stomach rumbled again.

Buffy clambered off his lap.

“Hey, come back!” Spike pouted. Buffy disappeared into his kitchen. “I was enjoying the cuddle.”

Buffy ignored him as she searched for blood for Spike, guilt flooding her. ‘All I’ve done is drink from him until he’s starved…’ Grabbing a bag of blood she dumped its contents into a mug and heated it in the microwave.

“Buffy?” Spike shifted and watched the small woman curiously.

Buffy glanced over, guilt colouring her face. “I’m sorry…” she whispered.

Spike cocked his head; his vampiric hearing had barely caught her near silent apology. “What are you sorry for?” he asked genuinely confused.

Buffy grabbed the mug and came back to the sofa. She handed the blood over and sat down next to Spike, the vampiress curling her legs underneath her.

“For draining you, you must be starved…” she replied guiltily, staring down at her hands.

Spike glanced at Buffy over the top of his mug, surprise colouring his sea blue eyes, he gulped down the dregs of blood and placed the mug on the floor. Reaching over he took Buffy’s slender hands, enveloping them in one of his. Spike looked at them for a second, amazed that they were so deadly and yet so feminine.

“Never feel bad about drinkin’ from me, Pet. It’s my honour to help in any way I can…” Spike mentally grimaced at his inner William revealing himself.

“But you’re starved, I could hear…” Buffy squeaked as Spike pulled her against his muscled form.

“Never mind about me, luv,” he growled. Buffy shivered at the sensation of her breasts pressing against his chest, her thin shirt offering little cover, and her nipples hardened.

“I would give you my last drop of blood if you needed it,” he purred. Spike felt her firm nubs through the thin material and pulled her even closer. He could feel them rubbing against his chest and a low growl escaped from his throat.

“Mmph! Spike…” Buffy’s face was cradled against his collarbone, unable to resist allowing her tongue to trace along it until she reached the hollow of his throat. She swirled her tongue in the dip, savouring the taste of the vampire who held her so gently. ‘Yum…he tastes so good!’

Spike failed to stop the whimper that escaped his throat at the sensation of Buffy’s soft pink tongue exploring his skin. He tilted his head back, offering his throat to her ministrations. “Feels so good, kitten,” he moaned.

“Tastes good, too,” she answered pertly. Her tongue traced the small scars her fangs had left on his alabaster skin; Buffy was secretly pleased that he bore her marks.

Buffy didn’t know what to do with her hands so she wrapped them around his waist and rubbed the small of his back.

Spike’s hands curled around her shoulders and up into her long hair. He pulled the scrunchy loose and tossed it to the floor; his fingers returned to Buffy’s fine locks and threaded through her long tresses.

Spike gently pulled her head back so he could look into her eyes. Only to find them closed in contentment, Buffy’s lashes fluttered against her cheeks for a moment before they opened.

Spike gazed into her lust darkened eyes. “What are we doing here?” he asked nervously, Spike ignored his inner demon screaming for him to plunder Buffy’s soft body.

Their feelings were new and raw; Buffy’s turning had also changed the playing field. Spike needed desperately to know what the diminutive vampiress was intending. He knew that there were some feelings between them, but they were something he was unused to. They were fragile and completely alien to him.

Dru had been a fickle lover despite his devotion and tenderness. She had slept with others. Spike tried to ignore the memories of Angelus, Fungus and Chaos demons that his dark haired Sire had taken to her bed, cuckolding him over and over again.

Spike was determined that if he and his Childe were to start something here then Buffy had to be aware that there would be no one else- he didn’t want to ever be someone’s second choice ever again.

Buffy regarded him solemnly; he was such a contradiction. Bad boy rebel and tentative poet and lover, with a fragile heart that loved completely. She had seen it all every time he had given his blood to her. Her heart ached at the vunerable expression on his face.

Buffy slid a hand around Spike’s waist and reached up and ran her fingers over his sharp cheekbones, tracing his lips over and over, Buffy took a deep breath and smiled.

“All I know, Spike, is that in the last few days you have saved me from the bastard who turned me, looked after me, protected me and…” she looked up coyly at her mute Sire, “loved me…”

Buffy leant forward and brushed her lips over the tip of Spike’s nose. “All I know is that you’ve been here for me, seen me at my worst and taken care of me when I was unable to.”

Spike took a deep, unneeded breath. He opened his mouth only to feel Buffy’s fingers pressing against them. She shook her head, “I haven’t finished, Mr Interrupter!” She squeaked when Spike’s blunt teeth nipped her fingertips, and her iris’s dilated. Buffy slipped her fingers into his cool mouth and tried not to groan when he suckled on them. Buffy shifted and wrapped her legs around Spike’s waist, grinding herself against his jean-clad erection.

“As I was saying, Whistler and Kendra were right. I do have feelings for you, I’m not sure what, but if…Oooh…” Buffy’s eyes crossed when Spike wrapped his agile tongue around her index finger.

“That’s nice,” she took a deep breath. “What was I saying?”

Spike released her fingers and pressed a tender kiss into the palm of her hand. “You have feelings for me,” he prompted.

“Right, yeah…I’m not sure where they come from, but I want to explore them with you.”

Spike swallowed nervously. “What about Captain Cardboard?” He hated asking, but it needed to be said.

Buffy gazed at Spike as he threw down the verbal gauntlet. The blonde sighed deeply, knowing that she was going to have to be honest with herself about Riley. Something she had avoided for weeks.

“I…well…recently I’ve…” She stumbled over the words that were lodged in her throat, knowing once they were said she and Riley would be over.

“Go on, luv.” Spike smiled reassuringly. His heart leapt with joy, he already knew what Buffy was trying to say, but for her to put it in words was huge.

“I’vekindagoneoffthewholeideaofnormal,” she blurted out.

“So, normal doesn’t do it for you?” Spike asked teasingly. He had known that the soldier boy would never have been enough for his Slayer. She needed more.

Buffy nodded.

“I’m a bad person, aren’t I?” She wailed.

Guilt filled her - not for the final admission that she and Riley were of the past, but because she felt so relieved about admitting it to herself.

A weight was lifted from her shoulders- Buffy felt finally free.

Spike chuckled and pressed her face against his chest. “No luv, just honest. Never really got what you saw in the git.”

“Kinda like me,” Buffy added.

“Really?” Spike was surprised at her honesty.

“I never got you and Harmony.” She shivered delicately at the memory of the brassy blonde girl. “I guess you weren’t with her for her conversational skills?”

Spike shook his head regretfully, “company is’all…” He refrained from adding that he had been drawn to the vapid vampire because she had known Buffy in High School.

“Is that what I am?” she asked timidly.

Spike stood, pulling her up with him and gazed fiercely into Buffy’s hazel eyes.

He cupped her face in his hands and his blue eyes were filled with determination. “Never! I swear on my unlife I love you…” Spike mentally slapped himself, ‘I said it! Bloody brilliant, you told her now she’s gonna laugh at you! You soppy nit…’

Buffy’s face filled with glee.

“You do? Really?” She threw her arms around Spike and kissed him soundly.

Spike reciprocated her kiss, pulling Buffy off her feet and urging her legs around his waist. He was relieved his admission of love was greeted with joy and not scorn. Spike began to walk them towards the staircase. Pulling reluctantly away from her luscious lips, Spike rested his forehead against Buffy’s and looked deep into her eyes. The hazel orbs were flecked with lavender - Buffy panted and squirmed against his arousal.

“Are you sure you’re ready for this, Childe of my heart?” Spike swallowed nervously; he had to ask one more time before they went too far.

He couldn’t bear it if she shot him down now. But Spike had to know she was sure.

Buffy knew that this was it. Her next words would change everything irrevocably, but her instincts were guiding her. As a Slayer Buffy knew that her instincts were never wrong. Wrapping her arms around Spike’s shoulders she leant forward and ran her tongue around his ear, giving the lobe a gentle nibble for a second before she whispered into it. “I’m sure. I want you Spike, and I want everything you have to offer - your body, heart and your love.”

********

“Why is Xander chained in the training room?” Riley asked as he walked into the shop.

Giles and Willow glanced up from their books.

“He keeps trying to hurt himself. I was worried I may not be able to stop him,” Anya answered. She glared at the closed door to Buffy’s training room.

“What? Why?” Riley walked over to the research table and sat down. Giles’s eyes flickered to the soldier’s neck before he removed his glasses and began to polish them.

“Mr Giles?” Riley managed to stop his hand from flying to his neck, to check that his bites were covered.

“We rescued him from Dracula earlier today, and well, his thrall appears to have been lifted, much like the blinding spell we were all inflicted with.”

“Blinding spell? What are you talking about?” Riley interrupted.

Willow’s normally cheerful face was clouded with rage; she channelled her guilt over forgetting Buffy into anger towards Riley.

Tara leant forward and placed a calming hand on her love’s shoulder. “The spell that made us all forget Buffy…you know, your girlfriend?” She hissed. Guilt was making her lash out more than she normally would, but Riley’s complete lack of interest in Buffy’s whereabouts was galling.

This lack of interest added to his new and interesting addiction of being chomped on by vamp whores, equalled Buffy hopefully kicking his sorry ass to the curb.

Willow smiled grimly at the thought of Riley being given the boot. ‘Normal? Pish! Look where normal gets you!’ Willow tapped her fingers waiting for Riley to reply.

Giles cleared his throat and hid behind his book. Anya watched expectantly from the cash till, ‘this should be interesting…’

Riley flushed in embarrassment, he had forgotten Buffy but had been distracted by his late night assignations. “Where is she? And you still haven’t explained why Xander is trying to hurt himself.”

“Riley, Xander is the reason Buffy disappeared,” Tara explained gently. She realised that none of the others were going say anything. “He took her to Dracula…”

“What!” Riley stood kicking his chair backwards. “Where is she?”

“Spike rescued her…” Tara yelped when Riley reached over and grabbed her shoulder.

“Separate,” Willow yelled. Riley flew backwards. Willow strode over to him, eldritch fire in her eyes.

“Never, EVER touch Tara like that again!” She yelled angrily. Anya appeared next to the furious redhead, her arms crossed over her chest.

“Sorry,” Riley mumbled unconvincingly. He glanced over at Tara. Giles stood next to her, glaring back at the fallen man.

Riley pulled himself up and leant against the bookshelf behind him. “Spike has her and you guys are all okay with that?”

“We don’t have a choice at the moment,” Giles explained tiredly.

“Well I think we should go get her back, now!” Riley exclaimed. “ I can’t believe you’re alright with that filthy animal being near her, and god knows what else he’s doing!”

“Enough!” Joyce’s voice rang through the silent shop, breaking the frozen tableau. Joyce and Dawn came down the steps.

The youngest Summers’ blue eyes glittered in pride at her mom’s behaviour. She childishly stuck her tongue out at Riley and joined Willow and Anya. Joyce came to a halt in front of Riley; the ex-Initiative soldier dropped his eyes, unable to withstand the motherly wrath directed at him.

“I will not tolerate you being so unkind about Spike! Out of us all he was the only one who noticed my baby was gone and he rescued her. I know my daughter very well, Riley, and if she wanted to leave Spike, she would!”

“But he’s dangerous,” Riley offered weakly. He was unwilling to add that he was jealous of Spike and felt threatened by the vampire. He tried to suppress the memory of Buffy talking in her sleep; her whispered groans of the vampire’s name still chilled his blood.

He had never mentioned it to Buffy, happy to stay in denial.

Now Riley felt threatened- Spike had Buffy and he wasn’t happy about the situation. Riley glanced over at the closed door, wishing his Spike bashing buddy Xander was here to back him up.

“No Riley, Spike cares about Buffy. He would never hurt her,” Dawn interjected.

Riley looked down at Dawn and then back up at Joyce. “You can’t believe that!”

Joyce and Dawn nodded, “we do,” they chimed at the same time.

“But, he’s a vampire…” Riley trailed off weakly.

Joyce’s hand snapped up and she pulled his turtleneck away from his throat. Revealing the multiple bites that now adorned his skin. “And it would appear you are intimately acquainted with vampires.” Joyce glared disapprovingly at Riley.

“Good Lord!” Giles came over. “You’ve been bitten how many times?”

Riley shrugged off Joyce’s hand. “It’s nothing…”

“I think you are in more danger of being hurt by a vampire than Buffy is!” Anya pulled a face at the bites. “That’s disgusting! Have you any idea what you are exposing yourself and us too?”

“I don’t need this!” Riley pushed past Joyce and ran from the Magic Box.

**********

“Well, that went well.” Willow stared out the window watching Riley storm down Main Street.

Tara wrapped her arms around Willow, calming her with her soft touches.

“Joyce, are you alright?” Giles placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

“No…I really thought he was good for Buffy and now, all I can think is he didn’t care enough about my baby girl to keep himself safe. What caused this? Why does he need to be bitten?” Joyce turned to Giles, worry etched over her face.

“There are many reasons, he may enjoy the rush…the danger…” Giles hesitated. He didn’t want to explain about the sexual reasons or that maybe Riley was drawn to the dark.

Anya bustled over. “There are other reasons as well. I can fill…” Before she could say anymore Xander began to yell.

Joyce looked over at the door. “When did he wake up?”

“A few hours ago…” Anya rushed to the door and disappeared into the room.

“Has he said anything about what happened?” Joyce demanded.

Everyone shook their heads.

“Should we go in and help?” Dawn asked nervously.

“No. I think he needs Anya for now.” Giles helped Joyce sit down. “Tea?”

“The universal cure all?” she smiled at the older man. “Yes, I would love some.”

The remaining Scoobies sat quietly and sipped their tea.

“What!” Anya’s scream was heard through the door.

Everyone’s heads whipped round as she burst through into the Magic Box. Tears were streaming down her face.

“Anya, what happened?” Willow rushed over and wrapped an arm around the weeping ex-demon.

“Buffy…she’s…oh god!” Anya wailed.

“I’m sorry…” Xander cried through the door. “So sorry…Oh god, I want to die. It’s all my fault…”

“Anya dear, please. What did Xander say about Buffy?” Joyce asked worriedly.

“Dracula, he turned her…”

A/N Dun dun dun... Man I don't want to be in Xander's shoes!!!
Chapter 11 by Schehrezade
For Peta thankyou for all the hard work!
Smut factor is high here be warned!!!
Single quotes = thoughts

Dark Gift Chapter 11


“Keep your hats on, kiddies!” Whistler appeared in the Magic Box.

“Ahh!” Dawn fell off her chair, startled by his sudden appearance.

Whistler leant down and pulled the girl up.

“Sorry cutie, didn’t mean to scare you.” Whistler frowned at Dawn and then a grim smile spread across his face. ‘Now I get it!’

“It’s you again.” Joyce came over and pulled Dawn into her arms.

“Yeah, the bosses thought I better come down here and de-ruffle some feathers.” Whistler sat down on the table.

“Is it true?” Willow asked. Her lips trembling as she held onto Tara and Anya.

Both wiccans and the ex-demon had tears streaming down their faces.

Whistler nodded.

“Yeah, the Slayer was turned by Drac.” He turned to Joyce. “I’m sorry, Mrs Summers, there was nothing any of us could do. But…”

“Nothing? You stole my daughters life from the age of sixteen and there was nothing you could do?” Joyce cried. “She fought everything you threw at her, night after night. This is her reward?”

“Death was her gift?” Giles interjected. Shades of Ripper shone in his eyes.

Whistler glanced over at Dawn for a second.

“There was no other option. By the time we realised, it was too late. Events were in motion. But the Powers managed to ensure her soul remained, it’s secure. The Slayer is still herself, just slightly changed.”

“Slightly?” Joyce yelled. “She’s become what she fights and all you can say is just slightly changed?”

“Mommy, stop yelling please,” Dawn sobbed.

“Sorry, Pumpkin belly.” Joyce pulled her daughter closer.

“What happens now? Do your bosses have any idea what to do? Will they help Buffy with this transition?” Giles demanded angrily.

“Yeah, they’ll help. They already have. Sent me and her.” Whistler jerked his thumb upwards to the loft.

“Mrs Summers, I am sorry for what has happened. But I promise we will help however we can.” Kendra shimmered into being and climbed down the stairs.

“Oh my Goddess, Kendra?” Willow gasped.

“Good Lord!” Giles’s jaw dropped at the sight of the dead Slayer.

“Hello.” Kendra waved at the stunned crowd. “Mrs Summers, I promise de Powers will help and so will we.”

“Trust her, she’s spent the last few years yelling at them until they agreed to help out!” Whistler added.

“Really?” Anya’s voice was coloured with surprise. “Those guys usually don’t do anything…not really the hands on type.”

“Dey are now.” Kendra frowned and sniffed in Anya’s direction. “What are you?”

“I’m Anya.”

“You smell different.” Kendra’s dark eyes were suspicious.

“Oh, I was a demon. But all human now, I swear!” Anya shifted slightly and hid behind Willow and Tara. “All good, I swear!”

Kendra nodded.

“What about Spike- what does he have to do with all this?” Giles asked.

“Well, gather round kiddies, there’s a lot to tell.” Whistler gestured to the seats.

*********

The electric touch of Spike’s talented fingers made Buffy groan, and he was only running his fingers through her hair as he stumbled up the stairs. Buffy tightened her grip on his shoulders and ravaged his mouth. ‘Man, he is a good kisser…’

Spike tripped up the last step and stumbled to the bedroom door. ‘Christ she can kiss!’ He pulled away from her demanding mouth and he gasped for breath.

Buffy giggled. “You’re gasping! Did I do that?”

Spike’s eyes darkened as he caught her soft lips in a deep kiss. “You’re gonna kill me, Summers.”

“Hope not, I kinda like having you around!” Buffy whispered as she reached down and grabbed his ass.

Spike’s hips lurched forward, pressing his erection hard against her core. Buffy threw her head back and groaned.

“Like that, little one?” Spike ran his tongue over his teeth, his eyes twinkling wickedly, and he rocked his throbbing erection against her again for emphasis.

Buffy hummed appreciatively. “More…”

Spike fumbled with the door handle, “got it!” He kicked the door open and staggered into the room.

With a swift move he managed to un-clench Buffy’s legs from his hips and tossed her over his shoulder.

Buffy eeped in surprise as her hair fell over her face. “Caveman much?”

Spike laughed and slapped her soft ass. “Me want Slayer!”

Buffy pinched his butt hard, giggling at the unmanly yelp Spike let out.

“Spike got Buffy! Now what is he gonna doooo!” Spike tossed his Childe onto their bed in a swift move.

Buffy blew her hair off her face and propped herself up on her elbows. Reaching out with one sock clad foot she trailed it up his thigh. Pausing at his hip, Buffy kneaded it with her toes.

Spike reached down and gently caught her ankle in a firm grip. He pulled off her sock and tossed it over his shoulder. He bent down and kissed each of her toes.

Buffy giggled, “that tickles…”

Spike arched his scarred brow. “Really? Well, best not let the other little pigs go un- tickled.” With that he pulled off her other sock and pressed soft kisses on each. Reaching her big toe, he sucked it gently into his cool mouth. Buffy’s eyes widened at the erotic sensations that ran up her leg to her groin.

“Whoa!” Buffy tried to pull her foot away from Spike as he pressed kisses along her instep. “That feels weirdly good!” The muscles on her inner thighs began to quiver as her body responded to his talented ministrations. ‘Oh god, he’s amazing and we’re not even naked yet!’

Spike finally released her tingling foot. He panther crawled up her body. His blue eyes never leaving hers, he paused at her groin and inhaled deeply.

“What?” Buffy asked defensively.

Spike leant forward and placed a soft kiss on her mound. “Smell good enough to eat, luv.” His voice rumbled through Buffy’s quivering body. “Think I might.” With that he reached for the waistband of her sweats and began to pull them down.

Buffy clamped her thighs together. ‘Oh my god, he wants to…’

“Uhh, Buffy luv, lemme get these off you.” Spike tilted his head to one side.

Buffy shook her head and slid backwards until her skull cracked against the headboard. “Owwie!” She whimpered.

Spike knelt on the bed and rubbed his hands up her calves. “You okay?”

“I…I…no one’s ever… you know.” Buffy gestured at her pelvis.

Understanding dawned in Spike’s eyes and he licked his lips. “So no one has ever tasted you before? Not even Solider Boy?”

Buffy shook her head. “Ri…he said it didn’t do anything for him…”

“But I bet he expected you to go down on him right?” Spike mentally cursed the farm boy. ‘Selfish bastard.’

Buffy shrugged. “Well, yeah…”

Spike reached over and gently pulled her sweats off her legs. “It’s good, baby. Let Spike show you …trust me?” he purred and then licked his lips in anticipation.

“I trust you.” Buffy raised her hips and let him tug her panties off, too. Her hand fluttered down and covered herself.

Spike’s eyes were drawn to her lean legs; he ran his calloused hands over her soft skin. “No need to be shy, petal.” Spike leant over and ran his lips from her ankles to her knees.

Buffy watched his bent head. Her mind was filled with sensations she had never felt before. Every inch of her skin felt like it was on fire, and the fine hairs on her arms stood up. She licked her lips and reached down and tentatively ran her fingers through Spike’s white blond curls. Her other hand lay limp over her mound.

Spike took a deep breath, his senses filled with her arousal. He shifted slightly, rubbing his erection on the sheet, trying to alleviate the strain. “Buffy, open you legs for me,” he rumbled.

Spike’s large hands slid between her thighs and gently pressed them apart. His eyes were locked on hers. “You smell amazing, luv.”

Buffy licked her dry lips.

“Come up here.” She opened her arms, her hard nipples showing through her tank top.

Spike reluctantly moved away from her welcoming opening. He sat up and undid his jeans. They gaped open with the tip of his cock peeking out. Buffy’s eyes were transfixed. Reaching down she yanked off her tank top and threw it to the floor.

Spike lunged forward and caught one of her pert nipples in his teeth and tugged it gently. Buffy’s fingers tangled in his hair and pulled him away.

“Oi, gimme!” Spike yelped, annoyed that he had been yanked away from such a succulent treat.

Buffy rolled her eyes and kissed him hard. Her hand slipped into his jeans and caught hold of his erect cock. ‘Jeez, he’s huge! It’s gonna hurt…’ She pumped her hand up and down.

Spike groaned and tipped his head back. “That’s lovely, Buffy,” he gasped. He reached down and pulled her hand away, “but you’re trying to distract me, aren’t you?” He rolled off the bed and then ripped off his jeans, all the while his eyes glued to the tousled girl on his bed.

Buffy’s eyes widened even more, when she finally saw his erect cock fully. It jutted out from his body and curved slightly at the top. There was no way he was going to fit!

Spike curled his tongue against the back of his teeth. He ran his hand down his chest, his actions evoking a memory from one of the first times they had met.

“You feeling all manly?” Buffy quipped.

Spike cocked his head and then smiled. “Yeah, and I don’t even have any weapons.”

Buffy eyed his erection and raised her eyebrows, “umm, I think you might have one there.” She pointed at his twitching erection.

“Funny!” Spike shook his head. He leapt onto the bed and crawled back between Buffy’s still open legs. “Now, where was I?” He reached down and ran his fingers lightly up her soft inner thighs. Spike’s eyes were drawn to Buffy’s pale pink inner folds.

“Pretty as a peach, Slayer. He ducked his head and pressed a gentle kiss on her erect clit. Unable to resist, he ran his tongue down the length of her slit, scooping her juices up and savouring them.

“Oh my god!” Buffy rolled her head against the pillow. Reaching down, she tangled her fingers into Spike’s hair and urged him back down. All her inhibitions were gone with a single stroke of his talented tongue.

“Like that, do you?” Spike grinned against her hot core as he plunged his tongue deep into her opening. His ears were filled with her delighted whimpers. His tongue reluctantly left her welcoming depths and circled her erect nubbin; he tapped it gently with the tip of his tongue.

Buffy’s heels scrabbled against the bed covers and her mouth opened in a silent scream. She could feel flashes of arousal spiralling up her body as Spike gently nibbled on her clit.

“Oh god, stop…no, don’t stop! You’re amazing. Spike, oh god…” With that Spike sucked her clit into his mouth, creating a vacuum. He nursed on the tiny throbbing nubbin as his fingers slid into her opening and curled upwards, searching for that elusive spot.

He gazed up at Buffy’s pleasure filled face as he pumped his fingers hard. He continued suckling at her clit, when he finally found the spongy bundle of nerves in her silken depths. Rubbing it gently, he watched as Buffy shrieked at the dual sensations. Her thighs clamped around his head and her back arched off the bed as she came.

“AHHHHHHHH!”

Spike reluctantly pulled his fingers from her grasping depths and eased her thighs away from his head. He sat up and licked his sticky fingers clean. “You taste of ambrosia, Slayer.”

“God! Spike, that was incredible!” Buffy opened her eyes and gazed hazily up at Spike. “I’ve never felt anything so good before, thank you.”

Spike suppressed a bark of laughter at her innocent face and whispered thanks. He leant over and brushed his wet lips over hers. Buffy’s tongue snaked out and she tasted herself on him. “Hmm,” she pulled his willing body over hers and deepened the kiss. Spike slid his arms under her and held her close. Revelling in her kiss. Shifting slightly, he pressed his aching cock against her soft folds.

Buffy pulled her lips away and peppered Spike’s face with kisses, her hands cradling his head. “I need you inside me, Spike.”

Spike rested himself on his forearms and nuzzled his face in her hair. “Love you, pet,” he whispered.

Buffy’s dead heart contracted at the sound of his voice and his whispered declaration. She wanted to say the same but was terrified, everything was moving so fast, and she had no idea what to do. “Spike, I…”

“Hush love, I can wait. Tell me when you’re ready.” Spike smiled sadly and kissed her nose. He knew that she felt something for him, but was too scared to admit her feelings.

Buffy smiled tremulously. “I will, I promise.” With that she rolled over and pinned Spike to the mattress. He raised his eyebrows at her sudden playfulness as he allowed his hands to trail up her thighs and curl around her hips.

“Feeling saucy are you, pet?” Spike’s tongue curled against his teeth as his eyes twinkled mischievously.

Buffy grinned down at Spike and leant over and began to lick and nip her way across his torso. She ran her tongue along the lines of his muscles until she reached his pale nipples. Pausing for a few moments, she sucked the tiny nubs into her mouth and then bit down gently on his now hardened nipples. She was fascinated at the change in the texture – something Buffy had never experienced before…

Moving from one to the other, the small blonde savoured their taste and the growls and whimpers that were escaping from Spike’s lips. His hands gripped her hips as he rubbed his hard cock against her wetness.

He was burning up under her tender ministrations. Trailing his hands up her smooth back, Spike pulled her closer, mashing her face against his chest.

“God luv, the things you do to me!” He pressed his cheek against the crown of her head. “I need in Buffy, let me in please!” he begged.

Buffy bit his collarbone with her blunt teeth and nodded. “I need you, Spike. Please…”

Spike rolled them over and settled between her welcoming legs. “You sure?”

“Yes, Spike.” She reached between them and grasped his cock in her slender hands and guided him towards her opening.

Buffy was aching to be filled by him, her thumb brushed over the mushroom shaped head in small circles. She teased his opening with her thumbnail as her fingers rubbed his foreskin. She could feel his precum leaking from his opening.

Spike’s cockhead, parted her wet folds and nudged against her opening. He reached down and caught her hand with his, raising their linked hands above her head and pressing it into the pillow. He caught her eyes and tilted his head in question.

Buffy smiled and nodded back. Her face flushed with passion and excitement.

Spike rocked his hips and with a groan his cock pushed into her welcoming channel. ‘Bloody hell, she’s so tight…’

“Ow!” Buffy whimpered as Spike’s cock stretched her. Her tight muscles strained against him as they tried to make room for his twitching cock. Buffy tried to relax her muscles and let him in further.

Spike stopped and began to pull out.

“No!” Buffy’s free hand grabbed hold of his butt, preventing him from pulling out. “Just go slow…okay?”

“Christ, luv,” Spike panted. His shoulders quivered under the strain of keeping still. His cock felt like it was caught in a vice. Spike carefully rotated his hips, trying to loosen Buffy’s muscles.

“That’s nice…” Buffy whispered. She caught her lower lips between her teeth.

“More!” she demanded.

Spike’s eyes glittered as he gently surged into her welcoming depths. “That good?” He gritted out. The cords of his neck stood out as he struggled to control himself.

Spike was still stunned that Buffy had allowed him into her body; he was determined to make it good for her, for them both. He wanted to eradicate Dracula’s touch from her mind. He was worried that their lovemaking might bring back memories of the unclean touch of the ‘soon to be eviscerated’ Eurotrash vampire.

“Amazing,” Buffy grunted as she rolled her hips upwards and Spike slid in further. Her eyes glowed lavender and her small fangs dropped down. Unable to control her features due to the sensations that Spike was evoking in her.

Spike growled in response. His face shifted and his eyes flashed gold as he vamped out in response. ‘She looks so sexy, all fangy…’

Buffy growled and surged upwards- her muscles loosened and Spike plunged into her depths.

“Oh god!” she panted. Buffy could feel him deep inside her, his cock pressing urgently against her cervix. Her eyes widened at the sensation- no one had ever filled her so completely. She liked it…

Spike hesitantly began to pump his hips, not wanting to hurt her. His cock felt like it was wrapped in the softest velvet.

“Not gonna last long, Childe,” he groaned. He revelled in her softness and the scent of arousal that flooded his senses.

Buffy wrapped her legs around his pistoning hips. “Harder. I need more!”

Spike growled in response and began to move faster. He dipped his hips slightly so that his pubic bone hit her erect nubbin with every long, deep downward stroke.

Buffy’s fingers dug into his churning backside as she urged him on. Grunts exploded out of her lungs with every downward plunge. Sparks of excitement shot through her groin as her clit was rubbed over and over. She growled and whimpered as the sensations of Spike making love to her were overwhelming her body and mind. He was hitting her sweet spot with each thrust.

Spike’s eyes never left hers, his fingers tightening in hers as he kept pumping into her. The muscles on his back shifted and clenched as he began to move faster and faster. He never wanted to leave her soft body again.

“Oh…oh…oh…” Buffy’s eyes widened as she began to feel her body fall into the abyss. She grabbed the back of his neck and pulled his fangs down to her neck.

“Bite me!” she gasped. She needed more, and instinctively knew that being impaled by his fangs as well as his cock was what she was desperate for.

Spike brushed his lips over the pale skin; his tongue traced a blue vein.

“You sure?” he whispered. Spike’s slender hips never faltered as they surged into her tight welcoming depths.

“Yes, I need you!” Buffy grunted, the breath knocked out of her as Spike surged against her at her words. “Can I?” she asked shyly.

Spike tilted his head and offered his pale throat to his Childe. With a contented whimper Buffy sank her teeth into the proffered flesh. She sighed happily as her Sire’s blood pooled in her mouth.

Her mind filled with his feelings and excitement, heightening her arousal even more. She learned even more about the man between her thighs with a single bite.

His strengths, weaknesses and his overwhelming love for her. Buffy moaned as she let his emotions roll over her, filling her mind as he was filling her grasping channel.

Spike slid his teeth carefully into her satiny skin. Buffy’s blood trickled out of the wounds as he retracted his fangs and latched his lips over the wounds and suckled gently. ‘So sweet…’ His back arched as his mind was filled with images and feelings.

He could sense her fear of what her friends and family would make of her now, but at the same time he could sense that she trusted him implicitly to protect her. Spike could feel her sorrow that she would never see the sun again and her joy that she could enjoy the moonlight with him.

The dichotomies of her thoughts were overwhelming him, but at the same time he revelled in her openness, something he instinctively sensed she was not usually so comfortable being. He felt honoured that Buffy trusted him so much.

Spike rotated his hips- his cock throbbing for release- but he held back, wanting to tip over the edge with her.

Then he paused. Blue chased gold away from his eyes as the vampire’s mind latched onto one predominant thought that was in his lover’s mind.

He tried not to roar his delight at what Buffy had just revealed to him.

He drew more of her delectable blood into his mouth- it was a fusion of Slayer blood and vampire.

He hardened even more as her powerful blood surged through his body.

It was unique just like her and he savoured every drop of it.

As he sucked harder Spike felt all her barriers drop and he could see her deepest thoughts even more clearly.

He was stunned and excited, but more than that, he was delighted.

A roaring sound filled Buffy’s ears as she finally succumbed to the orgasm that was pulling at her body.

She retracted her fangs reluctantly out of Spike’s pale neck; his red blood trickled from the corners of her mouth as she screamed her pleasure. Spike could feel her breath against his throat as she gasped for unneeded air.

Spike’s hips jerked once…twice as he came, unable to stave off his release as he felt her muscles clamp down hard on his erection. He filled her channel with his cool spendings, collapsing on top of Buffy’s trembling form.

He gasped needlessly as he tried to collect himself.

Buffy slid her fingers from his tight grasp and held him close. Her legs still wrapped around his waist.

She wanted to crawl under his skin and stay there.

Spike could feel her inner walls fluttering around his limp cock; their combined spendings coated his thighs as they poured out of her opening.

Spike licked the wounds shut on her neck and lifted his head. “Buffy? Look at me, pet.”

Buffy’s eyes fluttered open. She gazed into Spike’s dark blue eyes.

“You saw, didn’t you?” she whispered hoarsely, licking her lips clean of Spike blood.

Spike nodded, his heart swollen and his mind shut down. He was stunned. He was unable to form a single word. ‘She loves me!’ Unable to stop himself he began to purr at her.
Chapter 12 by Schehrezade
Peta was the inspiration behind Willow here!! Thank you doll!
Single quotes = thoughts


Chapter 12


Kendra stood watching the stunned Scoobies and the grieving Summers woman. She was torn between offering her sympathy and going in to the still sobbing Xander and knocking him out.

Giles stood and walked out of the room. His office door slammed shut.

Joyce winced at the sound of something being thrown against the wall and Giles’s muffled curses.

Dawn wrapped her fingers around her mother’s and clung on tight. Her blue eyes filled with tears, which then streamed down her face unchecked.

Willow and Tara sat side by side unmoving. Willow’s heart broke as she heard Whistler describe Xander’s actions. She was frozen in shock- the red headed girl had never imagined that Xander would ever do something so horrible. Her mind reeled at the images of what Buffy might have gone through.

Tara could feel Willow’s tension and horror and tried to soothe her by leaning against her love’s rigid form.

Anya stared at Whistler with her mouth open. The usually verbose ex-demon was silent.

Eventually Joyce broke the stunned silence. “Did Xander really throw my baby to the lions? I mean, I know what he said, but I thought maybe it was something Dracula might have inserted into his head to divide us all. To be…to be caught unawares…”

Whistler nodded “Yes, I’m sorry… but the boy really did do this to Buffy…” he shuffled to his feet and stared at Joyce with compassion filled eyes.

“No…” Willow’s whispered denial was filled with horror and utter sadness. “Xander loves Buffy…he saved her life when she drowned, no…no…no! He wouldn’t… he couldn’t…” With that, Willow stood and ran into the training room. She was closely followed by the others.

Xander lay curled up on a training mat facing the wall he was chained too. He ignored the clatter of feet and curled up even tighter.

“Look at me, Alexander Harris…” Willow’s voice echoed loudly in the darkened room. Her voice was magically enhanced, its rasping tone sent a chill down everyone’s spine.

“Willow, honey, calm down…” Tara begged. Her skin was crawling from the dark magicks that were pouring off her lover. She rubbed her hands up and down her arms trying to stave off their insidious touch.

“Xander, stand up!” Willow ordered, and with a snap of her fingers Xander was wrenched to his feet.

“I’m sorry…so sorry…” Xander whimpered, as the chains that held his arms and legs were pulled taut. “Wills, don’t, you’re hurting me…”

Willow floated up and hovered a few feet from the floor. “And you didn’t hurt Buffy when you handed her over to that animal?”

With a flick of her left hand Willow sent the others backwards and out of the room. The door slammed shut. She ignored the shouts coming from the other side.

“So you turned your best friend over to Drac for what? What did you want?” Willow demanded.

“I can’t tell you, it’s…” Xander trailed off as Willow’s hands clamped down on either side of his head. His eyes rolled back in his head and Xander slumped in her grip.

Willow’s eyes turned black as she read his thoughts and finally discovered Xander’s secret.

********

On the other side of the door…

“I can’t get it open!” Kendra grunted as she slammed her body against it. They had resorted to brute force when Tara and Whistler had failed to magically open it.

Giles had looked out of his office and then disappeared again – after calling for Joyce and Dawn.

Anya and Tara stood next to Whistler watching Kendra slam into the door again. They clutched at each other in terror.

“We need to get in there. Willow might hurt Xander!” Anya exclaimed. She paused for a moment, “but then again, she is performing vengeance on him…” she stomped her foot angrily. “Oh! I hate being human, cos I know what she is doing is wrong…but at the same time I can understand her need for vengeance…”

Whistler looked over at Anya and tried not to smile despite the seriousness of the situation.

A few minutes later the office door slammed open and Ripper stepped out, followed by Joyce and Dawn.

“Tara, can you take care of Dawn for a minute?” Joyce gently pushed the unresisting teen over to the silent Wiccan. Dawn slid into Tara’s welcoming arms.

“Kendra, if you could move aside I believe I may have the answer…” Giles stepped forward followed closely by Joyce.

Before either of them could move a shrill scream of pain emanated from the training room.

“Quickly, Rupert…before she does something terrible…” Joyce yelled.

*********

Black veins traced across Willow’s face as she stood back and glared at Xander. Her jaw dropped with shock. “Xander,” she whispered.

“I know, Wills…” Xander tried to smile and failed.

“But you hate vampires…why?” Willow’s eyes gradually turned back to their usual colour and her hair faded back to red.

“She never saw me! Only Angel…Why not me? I love her…”

Willow shuddered. “Xander, you’re her friend- her best friend. Buffy loved you, just not in the way you wanted!”

“I know, but I guess deep down I always wondered maybe if I were a vamp she might look at me different…Lame, I know, but…” Xander’s eyes filled with tears and he hung his head in shame.

“This is stupid! I can’t believe that after all this time you thought Buffy would be interested in you…I don’t understand…” Willow floated down to the floor as confusion filled her.

“It’s just when my Master called for me to work for him and I saw how he had all these women falling at his feet…and all the feelings and thoughts I had came back and I thought, if I was turned then maybe Buffy might, you know…”

Willow shook her head. “Xander, no…she loved Angel for who he was, not what he was…”

“Yeah, Deadboy…” Jealousy and hatred poured out of Xander.

“Angel left because he knew that he and Buffy would never work. He knew that Buffy needed more than a vampire…he loved her enough to let her go and now you have taken everything from her. All because of a stupid crush!” Willow hissed.

Xander pulled against his taut chains and screamed at Willow. “It’s not a crush. I love her! I love Buffy…”

“What about Anya? I thought you loved her?” Willow snarled angrily.

“Ahn…yeah, I do. Just, it’s not the same as Buffy, though...”

Willow’s eyes filled with tears. “Xander, I thought I knew you, but now…I just don’t think I ever did…”

“Wills, don’t say that. We’ve been friends forever, you are my best friend ever since kindergarten…” Xander smiled at the memory of their first meeting. “Remember the yellow crayon?”

“Yeah I do, but Xander, do you understand what you’ve done?” Willow turned her back and began to walk away from her childhood.

“Willow, don’t go… please… let me out of these chains and we can talk.” Xander begged.

Willow paused and turned, her eyes filled with hope.

Then they narrowed as she read Xander’s mind. Her hair turned black and she lunged forwards. “You think I’ll let you go so you can go back to Dracula? That’s sick!” She yelled and floated back towards Xander.

“Wills, please! Lemme go and I can go back… Dracula will turn me and I can help Buffy…” Xander’s madness was complete.

His mind had broken once he had realised that Buffy had been turned as a result of his petty actions. Now all he had to cling to was the release of his soul when he was turned.

Maybe then it wouldn’t hurt so much…

“If you’re so eager for death, I can arrange it!” Willow made a gesture with her hands and crude stitches appeared across Xander’s mouth sealing it shut. With another gesture his shirt ripped open, exposing his chest to Willow’s angry gaze.

With a flick of her wrist a dagger that hung on the wall flew into her hand. Willow tossed it into the air and it hovered above her palm. “I think I’ll make it go in real slow…” With that the dagger moved towards Xander’s chest.

Willow was lost in the power of the dark magicks she had channelled and was focused on getting revenge for Buffy – no matter the cost to her. Willow didn’t see Xander anymore - only a man who had essentially murdered Buffy and let her be defiled.

“Halt.” Willow’s voice boomed as the dagger pierced Xander’s chest. It stilled and a trickle of blood oozed out and down Xander’s heaving chest. His eyes pleaded for mercy as his mouth worked against the thread holding his lips shut. Xander shook his head, his eyes begging for mercy.

Willow tilted her head and considered the bound form of her Xander-shaped friend.

“Maybe I should just skin you alive?”she hissed angrily.

*********

The door slammed open and Giles stepped through. His eyes were filled with amazement at the tableau before him. “Bind!”

A green glow enveloped Willow’s arms and her head dropped back.

Joyce peered over his shoulder and gasped. She pushed past Giles and ran to Willow and Xander.

Gingerly she reached over and pulled the dagger from Xander’s chest. Throwing it to the floor she ripped part of Xander’s shirt off and stemmed the flow of blood.

Giles walked over to Willow and ran his hand over the now unconscious Wiccan’s face. “Willow, what have you done?” he whispered sadly.

“Giles, we need to get Xander to a hospital!” Joyce hissed.

“Mom?” Dawn called through the door.

“No! Dawn, stay out of here; you don’t want to see this!” Joyce called over her shoulder, but she was too late, her daughter’s scream of horror filled the entire shop.

“Tara…Anya, get her out of here and take her home now!” Joyce ordered. She didn’t want either of the young women to witness the macabre scene in the room. Her motherly instincts kicked in and she wanted to protect the two women from the horrors inflicted on Xander by Willow.

Giles rushed over to Dawn and lead her out of the room and slammed the door shut. He tried to calm the now hysterical teen.

“Here, let me take her.” Anya stepped over and pulled Dawn into her arms. She looked over at Tara who was frozen in place. “Come on, we’re going…it’s better if you don’t see this…” Anya’s mouth quivered as she tried to push away the brief glimpse of Xander’s tortured form from her mind.

Tara nodded woodenly and the three of them left without another word.

Whistler stepped up next to Giles. “Nice bit of mojo there – didn’t know you had it in you…”

Giles whipped off his glasses and began to clean them. “Not mine, I just borrowed them from a friend…”

“When?” Kendra asked quietly.

“I called someone I know in Devon – she agreed to let me use the coven’s powers.” Giles sighed and rubbed his face tiredly. “I could sense the magicks Willow was channelling and made the call…”

“A good call, Watcher.” Whistler patted Giles on the shoulder.

“Now what do we do?” Kendra glanced over at the shut door.

“I need to call Althania, she and the others will teleport Willow over to the coven…they’ll be able to help her. Xander…I don’t know…”

Whistler adjusted his hat and walked over to the door. “That’s where we come in…”

Kendra took Giles’s arm and gently lead him after Whistler.

A/N - Okay don't kill me for lack of Spuffy - they're fine all snuggled up and basking happily in the afterglow - next chapter is all about them I swear hand on my Spuffy luving heart

Did I do okay with Willow and Xander? Megan inspired me to play with the show canon here and boom it all fell into place!
Chapter 13 by Schehrezade
Chapter 13

Thank you to spikeskat for betaing for me!!!

Italics = thoughts

Spike gradually surfaced from the deepest sleep he had ever experienced since he was turned. The arms of Morpheus had never been so welcoming, or restful. His last thought that had followed him into sleep, still filled him with contentment.

Tasting his delectable Childe’s blood had revealed something precious to the elder vampire and Spike was filled with amazement and concern, ‘Does she love me because I’m her sire or was it something more?’ Spike hoped it was the latter and not just a Sire/Childe love – now that he had tasted her blood and skin, he wanted all of her- mind, body, and soul.

The last few hours were not something he had expected – any of it. When he had taken those fateful steps into Dracula’s mansion, his focus had been on getting the Slayer out of there and back home. Never had he expected to have her as his own, physically or familially!

Spike had never even allowed the smidgen of hope that Buffy would ever look at him with anything but hate to surface, keeping that secret yearning buried deep in the furtherest recesses of his mind. He had firmly repressed that desire and instead had focused on sulking about being chipped and railing against the hand that fate had dealt him.

Helping her while she was comatose and then later, as she had been awake, was a revelation for Spike. Just being able to have physical contact with his one and only Childe had fulfilled him in ways he had never before had while he was with Dru. Even better that it was Buffy – someone who he, if he was honest, had ached for from the moment he had clapped eyes on her. That fateful first night when he had watched her gyrate on the dance floor of the Bronze, caught up in the seductive rhythm of the music blasting from the speakers – he had never imagined in his wildest and most fevered dreams that they would end up like this.

One of them dead by the other’s hand…maybe. Instead, they lay curled trustingly around each other in his bed.

It was different and yet he wanted more.

He craved more…

Spike tightened his arms around the slender form that was lay sprawled out naked over his chest. His semi-hard cock was pressed intimately against Buffy’s belly as she lay between his legs, fast asleep. Her sated form was limp and soft as his legs and arms cradled her close.

Unable to resist, he blinked his eyes open and devoured the pleasant sight of his Childe fast asleep on top of him.

Buffy’s face was mashed against his chest, a soft snore escaping her parted lips. His nipple firmed at the waft of cool air that escaped her mouth, causing him to purr softly. ‘Bloody hell I’m purring!’ If he were able, Spike would have blushed red at the poncy sound that was erupting from his chest.

‘When have I ever purred before?’ Spike pondered, frowning. Spike wracked his brain trying to remember and failed. He looked down at his Childe as she started to drool, and smiled – it was only for her – because of her. ‘Hell she even looks cute drooling and with her hair looking like it had been styled by a blind hairdresser…’

Spike cradled her gently – trying not to wake her by poking her with his rapidly hardening cock. Instead, he began to work out what they would do next. He knew that Buffy would want to face Drac and exact some sort of justice not only for his turning her, but also for the degradation she had been forced to endure. When that happened, he was determined to be standing at her back …protecting her with all that he was.

Spike tried to repress the shiver of worry about how Buffy’s friends and family would react to her being turned and him becoming her Sire.

‘Nothing they say or do will ever separate us!’ he silently vowed, his eyes flashing amber. With a small growl, he forced his possessive demonic instincts aside and focused on what needed to be done.

Spike started a mental list – training first. ‘Need to know what she can and can’t do physically, as well as mentally. I need her strong for whatever Sunnyhell may throw at her…’ Her disappearing trick seemed to have been another facet of Drac’s that she had inherited, along with the lack of an apparent “game face.” Spike wondered if there were more revelations to come. He was looking forward to dancing with her.

They needed to test her abilities and try to incorporate all the changes her mind and body had gone through recently into her fighting style. He mentally rolled his eyes at himself. ‘Startin to sound like Ripper…’

At the thought of Giles, Spike sighed softly. He knew the Watcher would have trouble adapting to Buffy’s changes. But he hoped that his fellow Brit would rise to the occasion. ‘If the sod doesn’t, I’ll…I’ll…bugger the sodding chip! Not like I can thump Rupes if he makes Buffy cry. Wonder if I could get Buffy to bite him?’

Spike dismissed that thought with a wry smile, more likely she would bite him for suggesting it.

He looked down at Buffy who snorted softly and rubbed her scrunched up nose against his chest – her human instincts were still there.

‘Got to get her to call her Mum…’

Spike grimaced that – he was worried that Buffy’s newly found calm might shatter once she heard Joyce’s voice. He knew that his precious Childe would want to go home soon to her mother and family. Spike grimaced at the, no doubt, hostile reception he would get from them and hoped that Buffy would stand up to them and defend him. Part of him knew she would – once he had sensed her love for him he had realised this, but the William-esque aspects of Spike were getting nervous.

From tasting her blood when they had made love earlier, Spike knew she was hoping that he would protect her from their questions and reactions - and he would. From all of them, even Angel.

‘Bugger all! Need to get her to call Peaches as well! Bad enough me having to speak to him the other night…ruddy well not doing that again! Once a year is more than enough of the git with the hair gel fetish…’

Spike grudgingly accepted that one of them was going to have to call and explain what had happened. He knew that Angel would be brooding himself into a righteous snit over the conversation the other day. ‘All I bloody well need is Granddad swanning in to town all soulful and wanting a fight…’

Buffy cracked open an eye and peered through her eyelashes at Spike, who appeared deep in thought and chewing his way through his pouty lower lip. She tried to suppress a small smile and failed. ‘He looks so cute when he is all pondery.’

She had woken slowly, contentment filling her in a way she had never imagined. Buffy had never thought that she would find comfort, love, and happiness in Spike’s arms. She knew that it wasn’t just the Sire/Childe bond; it was much more than that. For a long time now she had seemed restless, ever since she had met the First Slayer in her dreams. Her hunting every night had been a physical manifestation of that restlessness and now for the first time she felt at peace and in love.

‘CRAP!’ Buffy curled her legs under her and sat up between Spike’s splayed legs, her hazel eyes wide at her sudden realisation. Without realising, she grabbed hold of Spike’s inner thighs, squeezing tightly, her nails digging into the soft pale skin.

“Oww!” Spike howled at the sensation of her nails curled into his inner thighs, so close to his dangly bits. His hands wrapped around her thin wrists, gently pulled her hands away from the reddened skin. “Buffy, luv, watch where you grab!”

“Spike!”

“Yeah, luv,” he tilted his head and gazed up at the startled Slayer sitting between his legs. His eyes ran appreciatively over her slender form, lingering on her quivering breasts for a long and lusty moment, before looking back up to at her face. He was filled with a creeping fear that she regretted what had been the best night of his unlife.

Buffy looked down at their linked hands and then beyond them at his now erect cock, which rested against his stomach. She savoured the sight of his erection and licked her lips. Goosebumps erupted all over her body at the memory of what they had done. She tilted her head and watched as his muscles on his chest flexed and tightened under her appreciative gaze. He was yumworthy.

“Buffy? You still in there?”

“Huh?”

Spike smirked and raised his scarred eyebrow, secretly delighted at her unabashed appraisal of his assets – not that he hadn’t just enjoyed hers either! “Wots wrong, Buffy?” his voice was low and filled with a sensual burr.

“I…I love you?” she whispered.

“Yeah. I sensed that last night, gorgeous, when I drank from you,” Spike replied gently. Realising that, her revelation was something that was not easy for her, especially since the incident that shall not be named. ‘Friggin arse – always makes a mess…’ He knew that Buffy had kept her feelings and heart closed.

For her to voice her feelings to him, and so openly, it was a gift he treasured. Spike knew he had to tread carefully Otherwise he would be left with a kick to the head and the lovely sight of his Childe’s pretty backside as she ran for the hills.

“I really do, and it’s not just a weird vampy thing either!” Buffy’s eyes widened even more at her frankness. She peered through her hair at Spike, waiting for him to make a snide remark and was pleasantly surprised.

He released one of her hands and brushed her tumbled hair off her face. His hand cupped the back of her head pulled her down to his lips, where he caught hers in a sweet and gentle kiss that seemed to last forever. He pulled back and sighed softly against the fullness of her mouth.

“Time for layin all my cards on the table too, pet.” Spike took a deep breath, “I love you too, Buffy,” he whispered and then pulled her in for another kiss that rapidly changed into a ravenous devouring of each others mouths.

As they began to writhe and thrust against each other, Spike mentally promised he would talk to his Childe about his plans, later…much later…

The room was filled with their sighs and kisses as they slowly rocked to new heights of passion as they both made love to each other. Their actions binding them closer as the minutes and hours passed. Their insatiable appetites for the other were spurred on by their declarations of love.

And this was their way of consummating it for all eternity.

*********

“Come on, sexy, do your worst!” Spike waggled his tongue at Buffy as he leapt over her head in a single leap. He twisted his body into a somersault and landed behind her. Reached over, he grabbed her luscious backside and squeezed it as he danced away, laughing at her small growl of frustration.

After spending the afternoon exploring each other’s bodies in a sensual feast, which had later culminated in a shower…which was naughty enough to make Caligula blush, they had reluctantly pulled on some work out clothes and stumbled downstairs to feed.

Once they had both eaten - Buffy had managed to drink the warmed blood without her usual reaction - they had pushed the dining table aside and begun training.

The two blonds had traded a blur of blows and had discovered that Buffy had retained her Slayer power alongside her new vampiric strengths, much to their delight. And for the last few hours they had been training in hand to hand and utilising the few weapons that Spike had secreted around the cabin.

He still wasn’t sure how he was going to extract the small hand axe that was currently embedded in the high ceiling. Buffy had underestimated her power when she had thrown in up in the air, and it had hit the wooden ceiling with a resounding thud and remained there.

“I’m gonna get you for that, you perv!” Buffy teased as she turned and began a series of cartwheels, culminating with her pinning Spike to the floor.

Spike peered up from between her thighs, which were planted on either side of his neck. Buffy looked down triumphantly at her pinned lover. “Gotcha!” she teased.

Spike reached up and cradled her backside in his large hands and gave her a gentle squeeze. “That you have, though have to say, not complaining here.” He turned his head and pressed a kiss to her inner thigh, and then gave the same spot a gentle nibble.

Buffy giggled and sat back on his chest and ran her hands through his rumpled hair. “As I said…perv!”

Spike rubbed his head into her fingers and purred happily, “just appreciating the view, Childe.”

Buffy rolled off him and pressed her body against his side resting her head against his shoulder. “That was fun! I don’t remember the last time I enjoyed training so much!”

Spike pressed a kiss to top of her head and sat up, pulling Buffy with him. “Glad you enjoyed it, pet. Got me all worked up though,” he gestured at his erection that was tenting his sweats.

Buffy ran her hand over his cloth covered cock.

“So I can see!” she purred as her fingers slid upwards and pulled the sweats down. Their training had turned her on more than she had ever expected – watching Spike’s lithe form twisting and moving as they fought had been a distraction, and she had let in a few hits that normally would never have gotten past her guard.

She had trained and now she wanted to play.

“Lie down Spike,” she whispered huskily, pushing him back against the floor as she tore his t-shirt in half and ran her nails down his muscled chest. Her fingers tweaked his pale pink nipples, teasing them erect before she leaned over and ran her tongue over them, switching from one to the other. Her hands pulled his sweats down and Spike kicked them off.

Spike’s hands twitched at his sides as Buffy licked and nipped her way down his torso. He let out a whimper as her tongue dipped into his bellybutton and then trailed down to the head of his cock.

“Open you legs, honey,” Buffy murmured against the crest of his erection. Then she dipped the tip of her tongue into the slit and gathered up the small amount of pre-cum that had seeped out. She raised her head ignoring the groan that erupted from Spike as he willingly spread his legs allowing her to settle between them.

Buffy leaned forward and ran her lips along the crease of Spike’s thigh and over and around his cock, nuzzling her nose into the dark gold curls that framed it. She licked her way down to his balls, which were tight against his body, and gently suckled them. Pressing open-mouthed kisses on them, she ran her hand up his body until her questing fingers found his neglected nipples and gently teased them with her nails.

Spike gritted his teeth and pressed his feet flat on the floor pushing his groin upwards towards her exploring mouth, which was currently engaged in detailing every inch of his cock, that twitched with every pass of her lips and tongue. Unable to stop himself, he began to pant loudly and a tumble of unintelligible endearments fell from his lips.

Buffy had never really enjoyed this type of sexual play before – but with Spike it was different – she wanted to do and try everything. There were no inhibitions – she briefly wondered if it were her vampiric nature that had caused her to be more experimental sexually. No, she realised that it was because of their love and the intimacy they shared was just another expression of it.

“Buffy! Please, luv, take me in…”Spike begged as Buffy pressed a soft kiss to the crest of his cock.

With an impish giggle, Buffy opened her mouth and began to slowly take him into her mouth.

Minutes passed and all that could be heard were Spike’s groans of appreciation for her detailed exploration of his dick and his hushed words of encouragement. Buffy was spurred on by his encouragement and complete surrender to her.

Spike reached up and gently pulled Buffy away from his cock. She pouted and glared up at him. Spike shook his head with a gentle smile. He deftly stripped his girl and in a quick move had her pinned under him. “As much as I was enjoying your lovely mouth, I want to be inside you.” With that Spike surged into her and they began to rock against each other.

Buffy hissed and wrapped her legs around Spike’s back, her hands trailed up his flexing back before she pulled him close. She tilted her neck and offered her throat to her Sire. “Please…I…need…more…”

With that, she sank her teeth into Spike’s shoulder, sipping deliriously at his strong blood. Spike roared, and his face shifted at the sensation of her bite.

Spike pressed a hard kiss on her throat and, without preamble, sank his fangs into her skin. Buffy gasped against the wound on her lover’s shoulder as she felt the sting of his fangs and came with a scream. Spike froze as her inner muscles fluttered around his cock and he tipped over the edge, joining her in bliss.

“We need to call your mum,” he rasped. Spike reluctantly eased out of Buffy and collapsed next her with a loud groan.

Buffy rolled her head to peer at Spike in surprise. “So not what I was expecting to hear after what we just did!” She gestured at his limp cock that lay on his thigh glistening with their combined spendings.

Spike popped open an eye and glared at his giggling lover. “That really is not funny, Slayer,” he rumbled as he pulled her giggling body onto his and playfully nipped at her chin.

“I should hope not! Mom plus sex equals ewwwww!” Buffy kissed Spike on the tip of his nose and then settled her head under his chin.

“Luv, we need to call her. And as much as I hate saying this, we need to head back to Sunnyhell…” he trailed off, waiting to hear her response.

Buffy nodded her head. “I know we have to go home…but can we hold off on calling Mom please?” She tried to suppress the fear that was filling her at facing her Mom and the others.

‘Oh god! Xander…’ She had no idea what she was going to do or say when she was finally face to face with Xander. Not after what he had done to her.

“Luv, your Mum’ll be fine. I promise! She’ll be glad just to have you back and in one piece.”

Spike bit his tongue; he didn’t want them to be parted. He was sure that Buffy would want to move in with her Mum, and he would be left on the outside. He hated the idea of them not being together, but he would abide by whatever his Childe decided.

“Huh?”

Spike’s whispered words pulled her thoughts from Xander, and she began to worry over her mom’s reaction to her changes. She was especially worried about her mom’s reaction to the fact that she would be living with Spike now and not returning home. She pulled a face at the thought of her Mom’s reaction. But there was no way she was gonna be separated from Spike. Not now, not ever. ‘But we are sooo not living in that smelly old crypt!’ She promised herself.

“Joyce’ll be wanting to see you soon, luv. We should get going now that it’s dark.”

“Okaaaaaaay,” she drawled and reluctantly sat up. In a smooth motion, she stood, pulling Spike up with her.

**********

“Come on, pet. We’ll come back here as often as you want. I promise.” Spike gently pulled Buffy down the steps and towards the Desoto, where he had already packed their bags. Mr Gordo sat in splendour on the dashboard.

“I know, but I really like it here…” Buffy’s glanced over her shoulder at the rose covered cabin and drank it in one last time. Turning her head, she looked out over the pond and sighed. “It’s so peaceful here. I love your home, Spike.”

Spike lit a cigarette and puffed on it for a moment before looking down into Buffy’s wide eyes. “No, luv, it’s our home. What’s mine is yours.”

Buffy wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her forehead on his chest. “Thank you, Spike. For this and for everything. I…I love you.”

“My pleasure, pet. And, Buffy, I love you too.” With that he kissed her before reluctantly breaking the kiss and pushing her gently towards the car. “Come on time to go.”


A/N hope this was a nice Spuffy interlude!!
Chapter 14 by Schehrezade
Cordykitten, Buffyandspikeforever, Karimouke, Pin and my darling Bloodshedbaby - Thank you for all the FAB reviews

Check out www.bringonthebloodshed.com home to the HoB bitches and all their fantastic fics!!!

Single quotes = thoughts

Chapter 14

Giles sat in the darkened shop and stared blindly down at his opened journal - his fountain pen laid across the half-filled page. He reached for the bottle of whisky he had retrieved from behind the counter and poured a shot into his Earl Grey.

'How do I record the events of the last few days without losing what small grasp I have left on my sanity?' Giles hesitantly picked up his pen and began to write. His small crabbed writing started to fill the pages with the more salient events of the last few days.

It is with great regret that I record this -

Willow Rosenberg - a dear child and a bright student, allowed her grief and anger to colour her behaviour towards her erstwhile friend, Xander Harris. His betrayal of my Slayer, Buffy, resulted in her death and rebirth at the hands of Vlad the Impaler. I had not expected such a dramatic reaction by Ms Rosenberg - but sadly she attacked and very nearly killed Xander. Though, to be honest, I was tempted to rip the prat's spine out myself.

Fortunately, with the help of Althentia and some of her coven, I was able to contain Willow before she was able to do anything she would regret. The coven then teleported her to them and will assess the depths to which Willow sank into - with her use of dark magicks - I do fear that the poor girl may never recover from what she attempted to do to Xander.

The coven feels she might benefit from some exhaustive counselling and some training to better her control and to teach her not to turn to the darker side of magic. They have promised to contact me daily and provide progress reports on Willow's efforts.

I pray for her and hope that she will be able to return to us soon.

Giles dropped the pen and ignored the drop of ink that fell onto the table. He reached over and sipped some of his cooling tea and grimaced at the aftertaste of alcohol. He was exhausted but this was the first time in days that he had been able to sit down and record his perspective of the events. He wanted to do so before the next chain of events occurred. He knew that Buffy and Spike would be returning to Sunnydale and wanted to be best prepared for whatever occured.

Giles reached over and picked up his fountain pen. His fingers flexed and relaxed around the barrel as he stared down at the blank page. He had no idea what to say about Xander - the anger inside him was clawing its way up his throat and the normally reserved Watcher wanted to rail at the world. It was not fair what had happened to his Slayer - to be betrayed by a friend and turned into something she fought nightly - all because of some deeply rooted insane desire that Harris had.

What to say about Alexander Lavelle Harris – well, he is a traitor and a murderer - does that suffice? His actions have resulted in the turning of Buffy and the fall into dark magics of Willow Rosenberg. Both young women are his closest friends and yet he managed to rip one away from the sun and her calling and the other he nearly caused to embrace evil.

I can only thank whatever Powers that Whistler and Kendra work for. Whistler has taken Xander away - I'm not sure where, and to be honest, I truly don't care. Both the emissaries assure me that Xander will be helped and that we do not have to be concerned anymore over his welfare – sadly, it is easy to say this but, in reality, we are concerned despite his recent actions – but there was little we could do.

Lastly I must add that the partners of both Xander and Willow are deeply hurt by their actions and they are struggling to accept what has occurred. Poor Tara and poor Anya- I can only imagine how these events will affect them. I am unsure as to how they will handle this.

Giles put down the fountain pen and pulled his glasses off and rubbed his red-rimmed eyes. The strain of the last few days and Xander’s behaviour had aged him – he was exhausted but needed to finish his journal entries. Giles slipped on his glasses and smoothed the page flat and began to write his more recent concerns down about Riley Finn, who had disappointed him so much.

As I have noted earlier (see pages 234-238 and pages 245) Buffy’s current boyfriend, Riley Finn’s behaviour is becoming much more erratic and his fascination with being bitten has I believe become extremely hazardous for all of us. We would do well to isolate him from further contact with us if he refuses to listen to reason. I will not have the remaining members of our group exposed to danger.

Additionally Whistler’s recent revelation of Buffy’s vampiric nature has me concerned – what will Riley’s reaction be and also how will he act in response to Spike being Buffy’s sire.

How will we all?

Giles carefully blotted the ink and blew on it to dry it, then rose tiredly to lock the journal away under the counter. He wanted to go home and sleep - tomorrow he planned to spend the day with the remaining Summers women, as well as Tara and Anya. He smiled at the memory of the latter two - Anya's offer to sleep with Tara in a non-gay way for comfort, which had brought a faint smile to the Wiccan's lips before she had accepted eagerly - not wanting to be alone.

Giles straightened after locking the drawers and stared absently at the door, wondering briefly where Riley had disappeared to - and whether or not he would survive his new addiction. It seemed that the ex-soldier was not prepared to listen to any of them about the dangers of the new blood sport he found so exciting.

Another thing for him to worry about - at least now it was in the open and precautions could be taken. He dearly hoped that Riley would see reason and stop playing Russian roulette with his life, and in turn, with theirs.

*********

"Harder...harder." Riley groaned as the vampiress he had hired for the night sank her teeth deeper into the crook of his elbow and greedily suckled at the vein she had tapped into with her fangs. He pulled her closer and rocked against her cold skinny body, his cock was engorged with excitement and as he began to feel more and more light-headed his excitement rose. Reaching down, his blood-whore slid her hand into the front of his slacks and fumbled for his erection; once her strong fingers were wrapped around it she began to jerk him off with a practised hand.

Riley as usual didn't last long, and with a yell, he coated her fingers with a small amount of cum and fell back panting. Riley remained unaware of the sly grin on the vampire's face as she still drank from his arm. She was silently gloating that she had the Slayer's boyfriends' sperm all over her hands and his blood in her mouth - so much for her being the protector of the innocent! She couldn't even protect her man from himself…

*******

Tara lay next to Anya and stared at the ceiling; the ex-demoness was fast asleep and snoring louder than a bear. The two women had come back to Anya's small apartment and had been curled up on the bed talking until Anya had finally fallen asleep. Both of them were devastated at the loss of their lovers - but were hoping that in time Xander and Willow would return. It had been Anya who had suggested that now they needed to be more proactive in the Scooby meetings and to be ready to help Buffy when she returned.
Tara had been stunned at the frank woman's amazing offer and had nodded in agreement. As Anya had said - they were the remaining Scoobies and they needed to be ready for anything!

She had then confided in the bemused Tara about some rumours in the demon world that something big was coming to Sunnydale - she wasn't sure what, but was trying to find out. It was after that announcement that Anya had nodded off, leaving Tara awake and wondering where Willow was and if she was okay.

Tara rolled onto her side and faced Anya, she closed her eyes and tried to force the images of Willow's dark hair and eyes away. She shuddered in horror at the pain her red-headed witch had inflicted on Xander - Tara was stunned at the depth of anger Willow had drawn on to channel the dark magics she had used.

'Her Willow tree had nearly been lost to her!' Tara thought with a shudder.

Anya snorted loudly and rolled away from Tara; her movements were jerky even in sleep.

Tara prayed to Gaia that Giles's friend Althenia and the coven she headed would be able to help Willow, and that she could come back to them soon.

*******

Dawn shivered and curled up closer to her mom - both of them were fast asleep. There was an air of expectation over the house.

It was waiting.

Waiting for something.

*******

"Spike?"

"Yeah, luv?" Spike reached over and pulled Buffy across the seat until she was tucked up against his side and with his free hand steered the Desoto towards the outskirts of Sunnydale. They had made good time, which annoyed him immensely as he couldn't bear to be parted from his Slayer.

But he knew she'd want to go home to her Mum. His jaw clenched tightly at the thought of not being able to hold her against him all night while they slept. The idea that he wouldn't be able to smell her unique scent whenever he wanted was starting to make his heart ache with fear - he was going to lose her to her family and those judgmental friends of hers.

"Uhh, Spike, you okay?" Buffy peered up at the morose face of her lover and wondered how he had managed to move from happy to grouchy in seconds. 'Was it something I did?' She wondered nervously.

Spike took his eyes off the road and dropped a kiss on the top of her head, briefly burying his nose in her hair and taking a deep breath, imprinting her scent on his senses - it would have to tide him over for now.

"Fine luv, what's on your mind?" he rumbled. His eyes spotted the Welcome to Sunnydale sign; he let out a rueful sigh knowing that Buffy wouldn't let him have his usual fun with it.

"Spike, where are we staying when we get back?" Buffy whispered quietly. She had decided not to be a weenie and just ask and see what happened.

Spike swerved the car as he looked down in shock. The car’s action caused an ominous crunch.
Buffy slid off the bench seat and ended up squished in the footwell, glaring up at Spike.

Spike slammed on the brakes and the classic car shuddered to a halt. "Wot did you say?"

"What did you hit?” Buffy shrieked as she struggled back onto the leather seat and kneeling, peered out the back of the car.

Spike eyed the luscious leather clad arse that she was waving in his face and couldn't resist reaching up and giving it a gentle slap. "Oi, Slayer, pay attention!"

"Spike!" She turned back to face him, still kneeling and rubbed her posterior, pouting. "You killed the sign!"

"I did? Really? I did it without even trying - soddin' brilliant!" Spike knelt up and peered out the back window with a massive smirk on his face.

He turned back to face his girl. "See! It's fate! Even when I'm not trying, I knock the bugger over. I get it!"

********

Buffy stared at the smiling bleached idiot next to her and really began to get mad, ‘he's more interested in running over a stupid sign than he is about the fact I asked him where WE were gonna stay!’ Buffy crossed her arms and pouted even more. He was beginning to bug her!

Spike cocked his head and stared at the delicious sight of his girl's lower lips jutting out in an adorable pout¾ a pout, he was beginning to realise he would never have the strength to stand up to.

"You stink!" Buffy huffed and glared over at the perplexed vamp kneeling next to her.

"I don't! I’ll have you know my clothes are fresh on after our shower!" Spike's eyes glazed over at the memories of the two of them wet and soap covered, entangled in each other's arms. He needed her once more before she went home. 'Hang on! Wot did she say before I crashed into the sign? Oh...bollocks, I do stink.'

He looked up through his lashes at Buffy who was now sitting back down and staring out the window while muttering about how stupid vampires were¾ especially male ones¾ and how they were no different to human guys.

"Buffy, luv? You're right, I am a smelly bad rude man." Spike sucked in his cheeks and batted his eyelashes and then pulling out his most devastating weapon - he curled his tongue against the back of his teeth and raised his scarred brow.

"Can you forgive me? It's just when you said we…I was surprised, and then it deteriorated from there," Spike rumbled huskily.

Buffy bit her lower lip as she watch Spike pull out all his come hither tricks and tried not to snigger.

"Buffy, pet, please talk to me!" Spike whispered into her ear as he leant over and nibbled his way down her pale throat and pressed an open mouth kiss on her collarbone.

"Spike, you ignored me! I was all with the brave Buffy, askin’ you where we were staying - cos there is nooo way I'm leaving you now! And what do you do? Crash through the sign and then act like a Frat boy over it!"

Spike looked at the pouty lip and leant over and caught it between his, suckling it gently. He pulled back and looked deep into his Childe's eyes. "M'sorry luv, you caught me by surprise - you sure you don't want to say with yer mum?" He hated asking, but he had to offer a way out.

Buffy shook her head firmly. "Nu uh. I'm staying with you! So deal with it!" Inwardly she was shaking with nerves - what if he rejected her? She had never been all brave relationshippy Buffy - but she was different now. It wasn't just the new set of fangs or her sun allergy - she felt loved and supported by Spike and this made her feel stronger and more in control of herself.

Spike's face lit up and all his posturing vanished as a boyish smile appeared. His eyes flashed with relief and joy.

"Oh love, you won't regret this¾ ever!" He reached over and pulled an un-resisting Buffy into his arms and kissed her thoroughly. Pulling back he panted. "Buffy, you ever shagged in a classic?"

Buffy arched an eyebrow. "What? Do you mean¾ have I been parking or have I shagged on old fart? Cos it’d be yup to both – though not further than second base with the former!" she added hastily as Spike’s nostrils flared in anger.

Spike tried not to growl at the thought of some spotty git fumbling all over his girl - it was bad enough imagining her with Angelus or Whitebread!

"Forget it...Lets get going if we’re going to find shelter for the rest of the night." He sat back down and gripped the steering wheel. With a flick of his wrist he had the engine going and slammed his foot on the accelerator. “Old fart, my aunt Fanny…m’in the prime of my unlife…” he muttered under his breath.

Buffy eyed her grumpy Sire out of the corner of one eye. ‘Men are such babies!' She decided to see if she could stop Spike from being all pouty and grumbly.
Crawling over into the back seat, Buffy slipped off her top and wriggled out of her leather trousers, all the while unnoticed by Spike who was deep in thought.

Buffy kicked her clothes onto the floor and then wriggled out of her soaked thong, which she then expertly flicked so that it hit Spike in the cheek.

'What the ruddy hell was that!' Spike glanced down at the whisp of lace that sat on his thigh. The scent of his Childe's arousal flooded his senses and for the second time in minutes he slammed on the brakes and turned off the engine. He looked over his shoulder at the giggling blonde who lay on her side, with her head propped up on her hand and the other draped over her hip and covering her mons.

"Oh, baby wants to play, does she?" Spike laughed as he shrugged off his duster, opened the driver door and stepped out. He stalked over and pulled open the car door and peered in at his sweetheart and his eyes nearly popped out of his head at the sight that greeted him.

Buffy had flipped onto her back and dropped one foot onto the floor and the other leg was bent at the knee, her new position left her wide open for his appreciative gaze.
He thanked the Powers again for helping her to get over what she had experienced at Drac's hands sexually, which allowed for her to be so free with him. He had lived with Dru for decades, and the damage Angelus has inflicted on her with his rapes and regular beatings had left their mark physically and emotionally.

But not so on his resilient Childe, who was laying spread out on the back seat of his car waiting for him.

'Oh bloody hell, what is she doing with her fingers!'

Spike's mouth dropped open as Buffy's hand slipped between her legs and she ran her fingers leisurely through the neatly trimmed honey coloured curls. Before she could do anything else, Spike stripped naked and growled at her as he leapt into the Desoto.

"You are really trying to dust me, aren't you, pet?" Spike mumbled against her nipple as he gave it an enthusiastic suck. His hand slipped down and joined Buffy's between her legs and he tangled their fingers together. Pushing down he slipped their fingers between her lips and began to dip in and out of her welcoming opening, teasing her with his intimate touch for seconds and then pulling out to rub her erect clit, which was aching for attention.

"Spike! Shut the door. I don't think you want anyone coming across you're naked ass bobbing up and down!" Buffy gasped as Spike pinched her clit gently, and twisted. She surged up against him and a rush of juices poured from her, coating his fingers. Spike inhaled the delectable scent of his girl's excitement and his eyes darkened with lust and love.

"Spike…door...shut…it...now!" Buffy ordered as she wriggled against his long fingers. "Your ass is mine to stare at and no one else’s!"

Spike grumbled but was also secretly delighted at her words. He awkwardly knelt up between her legs - cracking his head on the roof with a yelp, he turned and slammed the door. While he was kneeling, he grabbed Buffy's bent leg and draped it over his shoulder before he lay back down on top of her.

They kissed gently as Spike continued to tease and titillate Buffy's soaked opening with his talented fingers, bringing her to completion over and over until she lay limp under him. Her hands were draped over her eyes as she screamed out another orgasm, her breasts shaking as she shivered all over and pushed up against his hand wanting more.

Spike slid his fingers from her and with his right hand pushed her leg aside as far as he could, opening her up for him even more.

Buffy's toes curled as she felt Spike cup her backside and tilt her hips up towards him - it wasn't the most comfortable position. One leg wrapped over his shoulder and the other pressed against the floor, but she didn't care - the series of orgasms he had coaxed out of her had left her boneless and relaxed and all she wanted was Spike ploughing into her!

"Sorry luv, not much room for gymnastics here - I'll do right by you when we find a bed,” Spike promised as he surged into her and began to slowly pump in and out of her grasping channel. Her hard pink nipples brushed against his chest with every downward stroke of his cock, tracing a sensual pattern over his sensitive skin; his own nipples tightened in response.

Spike's senses were overwhelmed by the touch of her nipples, the smell of her excitement and the taste of her skin as he licked his way up and down her throat, lingering in the hollow at the base. All combined to give him a sensual overload. In a haze he kept pistoning his hips; with every thrust Buffy grunted and her mouth dropped open as she tried to contain the growls and whimpers that erupted from her.

"Spike, it's perfect - please just don't, ah...ah...stop!" Buffy grunted as Spike's hips began to hammer into her. The position he had put her hips in had allowed him to enter as deeply as he could and with each stroke of his cock he hit her at the right angle and Buffy began to see sparks.


"Buffy, love, so good- I can't last much longer. Bugger luv, don't squeeze my boy like that with your muscles or it'll be over before I can do right by you..." Spike groaned and he slammed his cock into Buffy again and stilled as her muscles quivered and shook around him. He lifted his head from her throat where he had been kissing and nipping her and watched as his Childe's eye rolled back in her head and she came with a roar.

Her muscles rippled around him and Spike collapsed against her; his cock began to twitch and he filled Buffy up with his cum, as he came so hard his hair ached.

For several long minutes, they lay there entwined in each other's arms and kissing softly, savoring the moment. Spike cradled Buffy's face in his hands and pressed a kiss to the tip of her nose, then he finally eased his wrung out cock from her and pulled Buffy's sated body up until her back rested against the car door.

A rush of their combined release soaked into the leather of the seat, anointing it with their scent. Spike smiled, knowing that whenever he got into the Desoto from now he would be aching and hard for his girl - just from the smell that saturated the back seat.

"Hmmm, Spike… that was amazing! I've never… you know… in the backseat of a car." Buffy leant over and pressed a sloppy kiss to Spike's lips.

"Thought it was a US custom? Right of passage or what not…" Spike teased as he handed her clothes to her, sniggering as she slapped him up the back of his head. He kissed her apologetically and then helped her dress - in the confined space it took them both longer to cloth themselves.

"So Spike, where are we going now?" Buffy asked hesitantly. She didn't want to see her Mom or the others just yet - instead she wanted to curl up around Spike and sleep.

"Was pondering that, luv. How about we crash at a hotel until we get something sorted? Cos I can't see yer Mum opening up house and hearth to yours truly. Especially as I'm shaggin’ her daughter." Spike helped Buffy climb over into the front seat as he talked. He then climbed out and slid back into the drivers seat.

As he started the engine, he mentally reminding himself to call in a few favours and see about setting up somewhere for them to live. He knew that Buffy wouldn't consider the crypt - not with the Harmony history it had associated with it.

'Bugger, forgot all about Harm - better pop round and have a chat with the bint.' Spike cringed at the thought of Harmony and the conversation that would entail when he returned to collect his stuff from the crypt.

Buffy's eyes lit up with delight. "Oh! A hotel would be of the good – cos, you know, big tub and all!" She refrained from adding a squeak of relief at the delay in seeing the Scoobies and her Mom. She wanted just another night with Spike. Then she would be strong enough to face them all.

Spike smirked. "Like how you think, Slayer. Come. Lets find somewhere swanky for you."

With that the Desoto roared off into the night, it's passengers unaware of the silent observer who had watched their lovemaking and overheard their plans. Then the silent vampire turned and transformed into a bat and flew off.
Chapter 15 by Schehrezade
Okay wee reminder - Kendra a few chapters back helped out Spike and Buffy against magical thralls and influences - making them immune - this comes into play in this chapter with interesting consequences.

Also have cherry picked a few things from the show but they are out of sync hence the appearance of you know what at the Magic box in this chapter!!

Single quotes = thoughts

“So you’ll get it sorted, right? Windows and all…Yeah… I know it’s a lot, but you owe me big and now I’m callin’ the marker in, Clem,” Spike whispered into his mobile. He was sitting on the edge of the bath in the hotel room; Buffy was curled up asleep in the king-size bed.

He’d slipped into the large bathroom and started organising a place for them to call home. He had some dosh stashed away, but he had decided to call in an old debt. The saggy skinned demon owed him for bankrolling him at the poker table, and the tidy sum of a hundred Tonkanese kittens added up to a lot.

It was early morning and he was trying to delay heading over to face the firing squad; he wanted his Childe to rest a bit more. But he knew that Buffy wanted to see her Mum and the others now that they were back. Spike had picked a hotel with access to the sewers and they had only a short walk to the basement of the Magic Box.

For now, he left her sleeping - she needed her strength.

Spike also wanted some time to sort out their digs before they left so as to give Buffy something to look forward too. He was worried like hell about the Scoobies reactions towards her change and was desperate to protect her from them. But with the chip in his head, all he could do was attack them verbally and hope that it’d work.

Though the chip wasn’t going to stop him from ripping Harris’s head off. The blond vampire wondered how much pain he was going to suffer through when he did that. Not that it mattered; Harris was in for a world of pain for his betrayal of Buffy and he couldn’t wait to be judge, jury and executioner.

A squawk from the phone drew his attention back to the conversation.

“Right, so the place’ll be sorted for tomorrow? Good…you can get me on the mobile until then…I don’t want to hear anything about problems – just sort it and then we’re even, mate.” Spike paused and nodded, “yeah, Clem. I’ll see you tomorrow night. Thanks for this…” With that he snapped the phone shut and left it on the counter.

********

Giles waited until everyone was seated. Tara, Anya and Joyce watched as he paced back and forth. He had been shocked to the core when he had opened up the shop that morning and had found the message on the answer phone. He had called Joyce immediately and organised for her to meet him along with the others as soon as possible.

Joyce had arrived quickly after dropping Dawn off at school and the two girls had arrived soon after. All of them looked as tired as he did, dark circles around their red-rimmed eyes. They took their seats and gratefully accepted the coffees that Joyce had brought with her.

“Right, umm…” Giles turned to face the three women and sighed. “I think you might want to hear this.” With that he turned and pressed play on the shop phone.

“Watcher, thought I’d give you a heads up. Slayer and I’ll be in later. Can you get the troops gathered so we don’t have to go over and over the situation. Also, Watcher, anyone who makes the Slayer cry answers to me.” The message ended with a growl and then it was cut off.

Joyce looked up at Giles, hope filling her eyes. “Buffy’s coming home?”

Giles nodded, “it appears so.”

Tara and Anya glanced at each other.

“Are you going to tell them about…” Tara trailed off and gestured to the empty training room. She couldn’t bring herself to say their names – their absence was already deeply felt even though it had only been twelve hours or so. She had fretted all night about Willow, wondering if she was scared or missing her. The coven had called to say that she had arrived and that they would contact them. Nothing else was said.

“Well, I imagine we’ll have too…I can’t imagine how she’ll react though…” Giles sighed and sat down. He rested his head in his hands. Anya reached over and patted him awkwardly on the shoulder. He looked over and smiled briefly at her, the smile didn’t reach his eyes.

Anya folded her arms and wondered whether or not Xander was still alive. She knew that the Powers could be capricious and was worried sick about him. But on the other hand she knew Buffy had a right to vengeance and she had no idea how she felt about that…

Joyce cleared her throat. “So, what do you think will happen? How will Buffy behave now she’s, well, you know…I mean, can I hug her or not?”

Giles stared at the resilient woman for a moment, he was constantly being amazed by her adaptability – especially since she had discovered Buffy’s calling. “I think you can hug her, but maybe wait until she approaches you. I can foresee that she’ll be feeling uncomfortable. And please, all of you remember that she most probably hasn’t been around humans since she was, well…”

“Turned?” Anya supplied when he faltered.

“Yes, quite.” Giles nodded.

“She will probably be very confused by our heartbeats and the sound of blood rushing will be an added distraction,” Anya continued realising that Giles was unable too.

Joyce nodded in thanks. “Thank you, Anya. I guess we need to play it by ear?”

Tara smiled at the older woman and nodded. “It’ll be okay, Mrs Summers. We’re all here for Buffy and Spike.” She added Spike into the mix to gauge the others reactions.

Anya seemed unconcerned; of all of them she had the most demonic exposure and would probably take it in her stride. Mrs Summers appeared to be nervous yet accepting of Spike; Tara suspected that Buffy’s mother had spent more time with the peroxide vampire than she was admitting.

Giles was the wild card in this situation - his Watcher’s training was battling with his fatherly concern for his charge. Tara was worried about his reaction to the new dynamic of Buffy and Spike in the group. She knew that whatever happened was meant to happen, it was fate.

*******

Spike sat on the edge of the bed and stared down at the sleeping vision of perfection that was his Childe. He was still in shock over her announcement that she was staying with him. Thrilled yet stunned. He was looking forward to Riley’s reaction to this, and also everything else. Stupid ponce deserved everything that was coming to him!

He shifted and lay down next to his girl and lay facing her and watched her sleep. A feeling of peace stole over him and his eyes drifted shut.

********

An hour later Buffy woke with a small yawn. She stretched out like a cat in the sun; purring contentedly she rolled over onto her sleeping Sire and began to wriggle around. She wanted to snuggle and Spike wasn’t playing. Kneeling up she straddled his waist and scratched his stomach gently. His cock hardened at her touch but he still slept. Sliding back, Buffy slipped his erection into her and took him into her depths as far as he could go. Pushing down she shuffled from side to side until he was completely enveloped in her depths.

She sat still and waited, her eyes glued to Spike’s sleeping face. But he didn’t move a muscle. Buffy huffed and ran her fingers up her body to her breasts and began to circle her puckered nipples with the tips of her fingers. She dropped her head forward and teased Spike with her hair.

Nothing.

Buffy cocked her head, ‘Is he faking?’

A small growl erupted from her and she decided to up the ante. With a rippling wave of her internal muscles she tightened her hold on Spike’s cock and then reached behind her and gave his balls a hard squeeze for good measure.

Spike’s eye flew open and he whimpered at the sensation of his cock being tormented by his girls’ inner muscles. Her slender fingers danced over his balls and then squeezed again. The sensations chased the blue out his eyes with gold and he vamped out with a purry growl…

His hands flew to her now moving hips and he grinned through a mouthful of fangs. “Well isn’t this a nice wake up call, Slayer?”

“Stoopid vamp, I’ve been sitting on you waiting for ages!!!” Buffy’s eyes turned lavender and her sharp fangs dropped in response to Spike’s loving growl.

“All good things come to those who wait,” Spike winked as his hands trailed around to where they were intimately joined. Using his fingers he spread her lips and watched as his cock appeared and disappeared into her depths. His index finger slid down and began to tease her erect clit, the other fingers lingered at her opening and the sensation of his cock sliding in and out of her made him sigh in contentment.

His other hand was busy at her firm breasts, massaging and cupping one. Buffy laid her hand over his and guided his fingers to her pink nipple leaving it there she dropped her hand onto his stomach to steady herself. The sensation of his muscles flexing under her palm made her pant even harder. The other was busy on her other breast pulling and twisting her nipple, which sent shocks of pleasure down to her core.

Spike watched Buffy coming undone as she danced on his cock. His hands were busy on her body, playing her like a fine violin. Unable to stop himself, he flipped her onto her back and hooked her legs over his shoulders.

Buffy grunted at the new position, the angle he held her at was driving his erection deeper into her than ever before. She raked her nails across his chest and drew blood.

Spike growled at her and leant over and ran his fangs over her quivering breasts- which shook with each hard surge of his hips. The blood that seeped out was licked away by his rough tongue.

Buffy snarled at him and she clawed at his shoulders with her sharp nails. She could feel her orgasm coming and her eyes flashed an even darker purple. Turning her head she sank her fangs into his neck and drank deeply of her lover’s blood.

Spike bellowed in rapture and bit down hard around Buffy’s areola, a feral growl erupting from both of them as they shuddered to completion. They coiled around each other with smiles of pure satisfaction and love.

********

“Luv, we’re going have to go in sometime, my back won’t recover if we don’t. I’m not going to stand here forever!” Spike grumbled up at his Slayer, who was currently ensconced on his back after turning her nose up at the stinky sewers, refusing to walk. Little did he know, Buffy was an old hand at sewer patrol and just wanted to see if he’d give her a piggyback. And to her surprise he had, without any snarky comment.

She had also needed close contact with her Sire; Buffy needed the reassurance of touching him and being held by him. Her nerves were all over the place at the thought of seeing her Mom and the others.

Spike had admitted to her as they dressed that he had called and left a message. She’d known that he’d done it to make sure she didn’t back out of seeing the Scoobies and Giles. Her Mom he instinctively knew she would want to see, but the others…

Spike patted her thigh and tried to suppress a laugh, he had known she was faking about being a Miss Priss – but who was he to deny her? The added bonus of her firm little bod wrapped around him was ruddy perfect. He knew she was worried and craved contact with her Sire for reassurance, but his lower back was starting ache.

Spike pushed open the door, and ducking down, he entered the basement of the Magic Box. He straightened with a very manly whimper and let Buffy slide off his back.

“It hasn’t changed at all!” she exclaimed as she examined the basement and it’s mystical contents.

Spike quirked a brow at her. “Well no, it’s only been a few days, pet.” He reached over and pulled her into his arms. Buffy buried her face into his hard chest and inhaled his comforting scent. A sense of rightness and peace flooded her being and she purred at him. Spike rested his chin on the crown of her head and savoured the moment. Their impromptu and feral lovemaking earlier had created a stronger bond between them. Something to hold onto whilst they faced the music. “Come on, Childe. Your mum’s waiting.”

With that he pulled Buffy towards the stairs and out into the front of the shop.


*******

“Buffy!” Joyce exclaimed at the sight of her eldest daughter. She took a hesitant step forward and then her eyes filled with tears when Buffy shrank back into Spike. Spike wrapped his arm around her stomach and whispered something into her ear.

Giles’s eyes narrowed at the intimacy of their bodies. A rage filled him and he stepped around the counter to go and separate them. Only to be stopped by Tara’s hand on his elbow. She shook her head in warning and then stepped in front of Giles to give him a moment to recover.

“Buffy?” Joyce whispered. She took a tentative step forward and held out her arms. “Baby…please…I missed you.”

Anya looked up from the till and a small frown appeared between her brows. “Stop breathing, Buffy. It’ll help,” she offered as she watched Buffy struggle with her emotions.

“Listen to demon girl, she’s right,” Spike muttered as he watched Joyce starting to weep at what she thought was a rejection from her daughter. His heart broke for his surrogate Mum, but Buffy was his priority for now. He couldn’t go to Joyce and calm her.

Buffy’s senses where filled with the sounds of four racing heartbeats and the scent of their skin, and the gushing of the their blood was overwhelming her control over her demon. Spike’s whispered reassurance had helped and she was battling to control herself. She wasn’t ready to vamp out in from of her friends and family, but her control was slipping. Until Anya’s suggestion- she consciously stopped breathing and it became easier.

“Luv, your Mum. Go to her.” Spike whispered.

With that Buffy flew into Joyce’s arms and the two women sank to the floor, weeping and holding each other tight.

Giles stood and stared at the huddled forms of the two Summers women and then glanced up at Spike. The two Englishman stood and stared at each other, a pair of duellists waiting for the other to make the first move.

Giles felt a guilty fury flood him, he had forgotten Buffy and yet the plonker facing him hadn’t. He knew that his anger was unfair but he couldn’t help himself.

Spike stood with a faint smile lingering on his lips, he knew exactly what the Watcher was thinking and waited for the misplaced self righteous attack.

Anya broke the tableau, she came over and stood in front of Spike, she reached over and shook his hand. “Well done, you managed to save Buffy when we couldn’t. I think this proves without a shadow of a doubt you’re one of us.” She turned to Giles and fixed him with a stare, “isn’t that right, Rupert?”

Giles’s face flushed red with anger and he opened his mouth to dispute her statement only to be stopped again by Tara’s soft touch. He looked down at the Wiccan and she shook her head. Giving him a lopsided smile, she patted his arm and then went to Spike and gave the pole-axed vamp a massive hug.

“Thank you, Spike.” She looked up at the still frozen vampire and gave him a small grin.

Spike’s arms raised and then hesitantly wrapped around Tara and he gave her a small hug. He looked around the shop trying to spot Willow and then looked back down at Tara’s strained face. The observant vampire noticed her red eyes and the pallor to her and Anya’s complexions. “What’s happened, pidge?”

Buffy pulled back from her Mom and looked over at the others- she frowned and then stood helping her Mother up. Joyce stood next to her daughter and took her hand in a firm hold. “You better sit down sweetie, there’s a lot to tell.” She fixed her eyes on Giles, “maybe some tea?”

Giles nodded, relieved to have something to do. He turned and left the room, without a word to Buffy. Buffy’s lower lip trembled at what she thought was a rejection from her Watcher. Tears filled her eyes and fell onto her cheeks. “Spike, he hates me…” she whispered sadly.

Spike came over and cupped her chin in his hand, with his free hand he wiped off her tears. “Hush luv, none of that. Watcher’s in a bit of a muddle, that’s all…”

Buffy sniffed and gave a watery smile to her Sire while stepping into his comforting embrace. Unaware of the reactions from the three women watching them, Spike held her close and purred softly, trying to soothe her. He could sense through their Sire/Childe bond that his girl was a jumble of mixed emotions.

Tara, Anya and Joyce watched the two of them holding each other. They could see that there was a bond and strong feelings between the two blonds wrapped around each other.

“Oh good lord!” Giles exclaimed as he came through and spotted the two vampires wrapped around each other. “This is too much!”

Joyce turned on Giles and took the tray from his hands with a jerk; handing it to Tara. She turned back and poked Giles in the chest with her index finger. “Don’t, Rupert! I won’t tolerate any derogatory comments directed at my daughter and Spike. He and she are a done deal…you may not like it, but there is nothing you can do about it! He was there for her when we weren’t, and if my daughter chooses to be with Spike then we will all support her.”

Buffy had turned in Spike’s arms and he pulled her back against him while they both watched the showdown. “Go Mom,” she whispered. Spike chuckled and squeezed her tight.

“Giles, I believe you have an apology to make to my daughter, and Spike.” Joyce crossed her arms and waited.

Giles whipped off his glasses and ground out a muttered apology.

“Sit down, everyone.” Tara gestured to the research table. Everyone sat down and Giles managed to suppress a comment about Buffy sitting on Spike’s lap. He did grind his teeth at the casual togetherness the two of them projected unwittingly.

“So where’s Willow?” Buffy asked, deciding to get the conversation rolling. She winced at the sight of Tara’s face filling with pain. “What’s happened? Oh god, is she hurt…dead? It’s my fault. I wasn’t here to protect her!” Buffy wailed and to the fascination of the mortals her eyes turned lavender and her fangs erupted.

“Wow, you’re pretty!” Anya reached over and ran her fingers over Buffy’s unlined forehead and then lingered on her small fangs for a brief second.

“That she is, demon girl.” Spike smirked at Anya, and at the same time, his eyes conveyed his thanks at the ease in which she touched Buffy. He knew that it would go a long way towards Buffy being comfortable amongst her friends.

“No…no…Buffy, she’s alive, but there have been some unfortunate events.” Giles hastened to console the distressed girl being held by her vampire. “I believe we have a lot to cover, maybe it would be better if I did the talking?”

Joyce reached over and took Buffy’s hand; her calming touch enabled Buffy to lose her game face.

Giles cleared his throat and for the next hour he filled in Buffy and Spike with the sequence of events that had occurred since her kidnapping. Both blonds sat in stunned silence when he concluded the sorry tale with Willow’s emotional meltdown that lead to her attack on Xander.

“So they’re both gone?” Buffy whispered. Her eyes were huge in her face from the shock of finding out her best friend tried to skin Xander alive.

“Willow should return as soon as she has spent time with the coven, learning to control herself. I truly blame myself for her fall. I should have trained her, or at the very least advised her, but sadly I was remiss in helping her.” Giles sighed. He was exhausted; having to recount the sorry events had been painful.

“What about Xan…Xan…you know,” Buffy couldn’t bring herself to mention his name.

“Whistler and Kendra have taken him to the Powers. Other than that, we have no idea as to his fate.” Giles answered and for the first time since Buffy and Spike had appeared he made eye contact with his Slayer and smiled. “We have to trust that they can help him, as we couldn’t…”

Buffy nodded and then turned to Anya and Tara. “Can we go and talk in the training room?” The two girls nodded and rose. Buffy turned to Spike, “behave okay?” Spike nodded and let her slip off his lap.

********

“Alright mate – now the kiddies have gone, lets hear it.” Spike rocked back on his chair and waited for Giles’s attack.

“What you did was remarkable, Spike.” Giles quiet statement shocked Spike to the core. Joyce’s eyes widened in surprise at the complete about face from Rupert.

“Wot?” Spike stuck his finger in his ear and pretended to clean it out.

“You saved her when we couldn’t, for that I thank you.” Giles replied ignoring Spike’s antics. He nodded at Joyce briefly, “as it was pointed out to me so succinctly by Joyce, you appear to be with Buffy and either I try to accept it or I imagine I will lose her.”

Spike nodded. He was aching for a cigarette but knew Joyce would probably smack him if he lit up in the shop, and probably Giles too. “Right, well…”

“How is she, really?” Giles’s strained whisper caught Spike’s attention, he could sense the desperation and fear emanating from the Watcher. Spike realised that Giles’ cool reception of Buffy wasn’t due to her being turned and having him as a Sire. But because he felt he had let her down and hadn’t rescued her himself. The Watcher was struggling with his sorrow and despair. Combined, his stiff upper lip Britishness and Watcher training lead to him being reserved and cold. Spike knew with a bit of time Giles would come around – well, he hoped the prat would!

“She’s doing okay, them upstairs have helped a bit and she’s adjusting, we’re both adjusting.” He added with some force.

“Indeed, I imagine that this has been as much of a shock for you as it has been for her, and us.” Giles hesitated and glanced at both Joyce and Spike, he was offering an olive branch to the vampire and hoped like hell he’d take it.

Before anything else could be said the door swung open and Dawn skipped into the shop clutching her schoolbooks to her chest.

“Spike!” she shrieked and threw herself into the startled vampire’s arms. “Your back! Where’s Buffy, is she okay?”

Spike stared down at the teen and frowned- she flickered in and out for a moment and then solidified.

“Dawn sweetie, let Spike go and come here.” Joyce pulled the exuberant teen off the very still vampire. She smoothed Dawn’s hair off her face and kissed her on the cheek. “Your sister’s in the back, she’ll be out in a second.”

‘Sister? What the bloody hell is going on here?’ Spike scented Dawn and grew even more confused. She smelled like Joyce and Buffy, but he knew his Childe didn’t have a sister. ‘Is this some more of Drac’s tricks?’ He stood and edged away from the table.

“Spike? What’s the matter?” Giles noticed the blond vampire’s disquiet.

“Nuthin, just going to war…get Buffy.” Spike squinted at Dawn and frowned. ‘It’s not Drac’s mojo, but what the hell?’

“I’ll get her!” Dawn pulled away from Joyce and bounced to the training room, ignoring Spike’s growl. Before she could open the door the front window was smashed in and a massive snake slithered through it.

Spike turned with a snarl and his jaw dropped. “It’s a ruddy big snake, that’s not normal!”

“No honey, but it is something we can kill!” Buffy yelled as she appeared by his side, tossing him an axe and then she launched herself at the hissing intruder.

Joyce thrust Dawn into Anya’s arms and slammed the training room door shut. She put her back to the door ready to defend her baby girl if she had too. Giles ran towards her and joined to strengthen the barricade. They watched as Buffy and Spike fought the snake demon.

The two vampires fought with a panache and glee that surprised their two observers. Giles noted that Buffy’s strength had increased, as had her speed. He watched mesmerised by her flurry of blows and amazing feats of strength and agility.

“She’s incredible! Has she always fought like this?” Joyce gripped Giles’s arm in excitement and pride coloured her features.

“No, she appears to be stronger. I’m guessing that her turning has changed her more than we imagined. I agree she’s incredible.” Giles added.

“What the hell is that snake thing?”

“I have no idea, Joyce. We’ll research it as soon as we can.” A smash distracted him and he winced at the sight of his bookshelves being crushed by Spike as he was flung off the demons back. The blond vampire bounced up with a snarl and launched himself at the snake.

Between the two vampires the snake didn’t stand a chance and within moments it lay dead at their feet.

Spike ran his hands over Buffy checking for injuries, as did she.

He turned to face Giles, “well, what the hell was that?” he jerked his thumb at the rapidly decomposing snake demon as he lead Buffy down the stairs.

“A big snake?” Giles offered with a shrug.

“Welcome home pressie, more like.” Spike chuckled and winked at Buffy.

“Welcome to the Hellmouth, luv!”
Chapter 16 by Schehrezade
We have a wee insight into what Dracula is upto with Glory - and not it a squishy spot touching way!!


A/N before I get leapt on, please remember that both Spike and Buffy are immune to magical influences after Kendra put the whammy on them, neither Spike nor Buffy have mentioned Dawn since then.

Single quotes = thoughts

“Buffy! You’re home!” Dawn threw herself into the startled vampire’s arms and crushed her in a hug.

Buffy’s arms hung at her side and she looked at Dawn and blinked. The teen flickered in and out of existence and Buffy froze. She looked over at Spike and frowned, Spike shook his head briefly and then inhaled deeply, signalling for his perplexed Childe to do the same.

Buffy sniffed surreptiously and puzzlement flooded her face for a second before she managed to control herself. Training her face into a neutral expression, Buffy patted the strange girl on the back before pulling away. The excited teen ignored her supposed sister’s stiffness and babbled away enthusiastically, gesturing to the snake. Buffy nodded briefly and then turned to Spike with a question on her lips.

“Not now, luv,” he whispered, so softly that only her vampiric ears picked up his words. She nodded and turned to face the others who were peering at the dead snake.

Unable to approach as it was now bathed in sunlight, Spike squinted out the window and calculated that sunset wasn’t far away.

Anya was sweeping away the shattered glass, muttering about the cost of replacement and wondering if it could be claimed as a work related tax write-off.

Giles and Tara were examing the carcass for any clues as to its origin. Joyce had reclaimed Dawn and wrapped her tight in her arms.

“Why did that thing come in here? It looked as if it was searching for something,” the eldest Summers asked. She had noticed that when the snake had first entered, it had paused and flickered its tongue in the direction of each of them. “Buffy, is this the norm for you?” she asked curiously, unused to the Slayer side of her daughter’s life. She had, as a rule, tried to ignore it, then accepted it grudgingly, though distancing herself from it.

“Well, not the norm, Joyce. It’s usually vampires and the occasional demon. From what I can tell, this appears to be a mutated form of snake that is domestic to the United States. Its purpose is a mystery, though. Fascinating really…” Giles rose from the side of the dead snake and reached down to help Tara up.

Buffy and Spike stood to one side watching Dawn closely and the ease in which the others interacted with her…accepted her. They were puzzled but for now remained silent as they had no idea what sort of geas they were all under.

******

“It failed, oh wonderifirously fragrant one. We tracked it as far as the Main Street where it was killed by two vampire…” A brown robed scabby minion fell to his knees and pressed his forehead to the flagstone floor.

“What do you mean it failed?” A petite blonde woman dressed in a red gown stomped over to her cringing follower and kicked him in the side. “And why would two re-animated corpses kill my pet? It wasn’t bothering them, only trying to find my Key!” she shrieked and hefted a statue and threw it at the wall with an enraged howl.

“My dear, please try not to destroy my home.” Dracula appeared at the doorway, trailed by his three brides. He had heard the commotion and had come to investigate.

“What appears to be the problem, Glorificus?” he bowed his head slightly at the curly haired goddess that was fuming in front of him.

“My seeker was slaughtered. I am not happy, people!” Glory groused as she flung herself on the velvet-upholstered sofa.

“An unfortunate development, my dear, but one that we can work around,” Dracula murmured soothingly to the irate woman who was pouting on the couch.

“Oh, stop with the schmoozing and, ow…ow...no…not now!” Glory began to sweat and shake and grabbed her head in agony.

Dracula spotted her discomfort and gestured for one of his brides. She slipped out of the room and within seconds a struggle was heard in the corridor.

“What are you doing? Please don’t hurt me!” an anguished voice begged. The Bride reappeared pulling a terrified man behind her; she thrust him into the brown robed minion’s arms.

“Mistress, please accept this humble offering from your devoted servant.” The minion threw the man to his knees in front of Glory, who reached down and plunged her fingers into his head, with a sigh of relief. A burst of light came from her fingers as she drained the captive’s mind. Once she had finished, Glory kicked the man away with a sigh.

“Much better!” She sank back onto the couch and kicked the now babbling man in the head. “Eww, get that thing away from me!”

The Bride stepped forward and sank her teeth into the man’s neck and drained him. Straightening she threw the corpse over her shoulder and disappeared out of the room.

“I have to say, Drac, having your girls clearing up my leftovers makes life much easier, no trail of gibbering idiots for anyone to track me with!” Glory rose and stretched languidly.

“I am only fulfilling my end of our bargain, Glorificus.” Dracula bowed and exited the room. Since the mad god’s arrival he was beginning to doubt that allying himself with her had been a sound idea. When he had learned of her plans his first thought was to protect himself and his Childer. He had approached the goddess, offering his services and home and asked in return only that when hell on Earth occurred from her return home, that he and his Brides were guaranteed safety and her protection.

To his surprise, Glory had agreed on the condition that he helped her to work incognito, and to that end, all her victims were drained and dumped. That way ensuring that those who fought evil would think that her victims were only dead at the fangs of a vampire.

Now that she had arrived and Dracula had borne witness to her erratic behaviour, he was beginning to be concerned. It was too late to turn back, though…

**********

“Buffy, may we talk for a moment in private?” Giles asked quietly.

Buffy glanced over at Spike and nodded for him to stay put and watch over the others. “Sure. Training room?”

Giles nodded and gestured for her to precede him.

Buffy paced the length of the room where she had spent so much time with the man who now sat on the leather sofa fiddling with his glasses. She spotted the chains and scented Xander’s fear in the room.

“Is this were you kept him?” Buffy gestured to the chains.

“Yes, we did…” Giles sighed and looked up at her. She looked remarkably similar to how she had been last time he saw her. But now she was drastically changed…

“Spill, Giles, you have ‘I have a hundred questions’ face.” Buffy sat down on the training mat and rested her chin on her knees and waited.

“I’m sorry, my dear, for what happened. I had no idea, none of us did. Not even your Mother…”

“Chill, Giles, it wasn’t your fault,” Buffy interrupted. “It’s not like you fed me to Drac. Oh wait, no that was Xander!” She growled, her eyes flashed lavender for a brief second, much to her Watcher’s fascination.

“Indeed it was, however Buffy, my dear, I feel like I have failed you,” Giles replied sadly.

Buffy stood and knelt at Giles’s feet; she reached out and took Giles’s hand in hers and squeezed it gently. Giles returned the pressure with a small smile. “I need to also apologise for the way I behaved when you came in…I…just…”

“Shhhh, it’s okay. We’re all gonna have to adjust to the new me, and there’ll be ‘loads of man I wish I hadn’t said that’ stuff!” Buffy reached up with her free hand and pressed her index finger to Giles’s lips. “The way I am now, it’s gonna be an adjustment for everyone, it’s not like we can shrug off my sudden allergy to sunlight and slap on the 1000+ sun block and head to the beach, right?” She grinned at her Watcher.

Giles reached over and placed his hand over their joined one and patted them. “No, indeed we can’t, but Buffy, please remember I will be here for you if you need me. Nothing has changed, I still care for you, my dear…”

“I know, Giles. Let’s just take it one day at a time, okay?” Buffy cocked her head and her action made Giles close his eyes; she looked so like Spike when she did that and it unsettled him.

“Buffy, about Spike…” before he could say anything Buffy stood and put her hands on her hips.

“What about Spike?” she drawled.

“Well, does he have to be so…you know…”

“Giles, I’ll say this only once and then I don’t want to hear anything again.” Buffy glared down at her uncomfortable Watcher; their brief détente appeared to be over. But she was not going to compromise. She loved Spike and it was something she wasn’t going to compromise…she had let them all take pot shots at her first vampiric lover and suffered for it. But not this time, she needed Spike and he needed her!

“Spike saved me from Drac, he was the only one who came. He risked everything to save me. If he hadn’t come, I think Drac would have dusted me…I wasn’t the easy conquest he had hoped for. If it wasn’t for his thrally crap I would have been out of there!”

“But why are you allowing him to touch you?”

“Giles, he’s my Sire! Didn’t Whistler tell you anything?” Buffy huffed and crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot.

“Yes he did, but now you’re back…”

“Now I’m back I should what, stake him, dump him? Say what to him, ‘gee, thanks for the save, now go away?’” Buffy stomped away to the door. She paused and looked over her shoulder at the silent man on the couch. “Giles, I love you, but please don’t make me choose between you… I don’t think you’d like my decision.” With that she left the room and slammed the door.

**********

Spike looked up from the text he had been flicking through and cocked his head in question at his sad Childe. He had heard everything that had been said in the other room and had been relieved to hear Buffy’s warning to Giles. “You all right, pet?”

She nodded and came over and sank onto his lap, then wrapped her arm around Spike’s neck.

“So, you guys are like an item now?” Dawn demanded with a hint of jealousy in her voice. She had harboured a secret crush on Spike for a while and was put out by how Buffy was draped over Spike.

“Of course they are, Dawn. Now don’t be silly over it! I think it’s perfect.” Anya patted Dawn on the shoulder, reached for a book and pulled it in front of her. As she began to read, she was unaware of the glare being directed at her. Dawn was furious at how Anya had dismissed her. She pouted at the oblivious ex demon and turned to complain to her Mom, only to be stopped by Tara shaking her head.

Spike and Buffy were oblivious of Dawn’s discomfort; they were absorbed in each other and talking quietly to each other.

Joyce watched the two vampires talking with a bemused smile on her face. She looked over at the door to the training room and nodded at Giles when he reappeared. He looked exhausted and unhappy. Joyce made a mental note to talk to him- anything she could do to help Buffy she was going to do.

“So, how are we going to dispose of the demon snake? It’s going to put off my customers!” Anya asked Giles as she flicked through her text.

“Buffy, would you and Spike be able to move it? I believe the sun has set.” Giles asked offering an olive branch to the two vampires.

“Sure.” Buffy stood and she and Spike began to drag the dead snake out of the shop and into the training room.

Tara checked to see if they had exited into the Alley, turning back to the others, “has anyone told her about Riley’s problem yet?”

Giles shook his head. “I have no idea how to broach the subject. Joyce, do you think that you could maybe talk to her about him?”

Joyce nodded, “I’ll try, maybe over dinner. Does Buffy still eat?”

“Eat what?” Buffy and Spike re-entered the shop.

“Food, honey, or should I make a stop at the butcher for some blood?” Joyce asked.

Buffy smiled at her Mom, amazed at how calmly she was taking everything. “I could go for some home cooked goodness and I know Spike eats.” Spike nodded with a smirk.

“Well then, I think we should get you home.” Joyce stood.

*********

“Uh Mom?” Buffy pressed her hand against the invisible barrier that kept her out of the house.

Joyce turned with a look of confusion on her face and then burst into tears. “Oh Baby, sorry! Please come in both of you!”

“Mommy, don’t cry, please!” Buffy hesitantly stepped forward, unsure as to whether or not to hug her weeping mother.

“I’m sorry. It’s just when you couldn’t come in it hit me that you’re really a vampire!” Joyce sobbed and reached for Buffy and pulled her close. “I’m sorry…”

Spike rocked on his heels; he felt like a third wheel and didn’t know what to do. His two favourite girls were upset and he wanted to help…

Dawn clattered back into the hall wondering what the commotion was and she slid to a halt. “Oh…”

“S’all right, they just need a bit o’ time.” Spike regarded the enigma that was Dawn and tried like hell to understand why she was here and what she was.

Joyce pulled back and cupped Buffy’s cheek in her hand; her fingers dried the tears off her eldest daughter’s face. “Sorry, baby…I thought I was coping and then…” She gestured to the door.

When she saw the flash of worry in Buffy’s eyes she hastily added “NO! I’m all right with it really, it was a surprise, this is your home and to see you stuck outside just reminded me of what had happened. I love you no matter what!”

Joyce pulled Buffy into a hug and then released her with a trembly smile. “Okay I’m going to get some food cooked, you want to come sit and talk with me? Spike, I may find some hot chocolate for you.”

“Sounds like a plan, Mum.” Spike stepped up and placed his hand in the small of Buffy’s back.

“Dawn, go and finish off your homework. I’ll call you when dinner is ready.” Joyce pointed to the stairs.

“Moooom!” Dawn whined.

“Daaaaawn… go on, scoot!” Joyce pushed her youngest up the stairs.

********

The dishes had been cleared away and the four of them sat around the table. Buffy flicked her gaze back and forth between her Mom and Dawn, trying to work out what the hell was going on.

Spike sat with his arm flung around the back of Buffy’s chair. He could sense her discomfort and pressed his knee against hers. Offering his support and comfort.

The entire meal had been strained as the two vampires endured a cross examination from Joyce. They had tried to provide as much detail about what had happened, censoring the more sexual aspects. Joyce had caught on to their conscious editing and had not pressed the issue.

Dawn had provided more detail about Willow and Xander than was necessary. She had interspersed her comments with looks of adoration at Spike, which amused him, but had begun to bug Buffy.

Joyce, “Pumpkin belly, it’s time for you to go to bed, and you’ve got school tomorrow,” broke the silence.

“Mom, do I have too? I want to spend time with Buffy and Sp…”

“No, bedtime now!” Joyce interrupted in her strict Mom voice.

Dawn stood reluctantly and then went over and threw her arms around Buffy’s neck and hugged her. “I’m glad you’re home, Buffy.” She turned to Spike and smiled shyly at him “you too, Spike…” With that she turned and headed up the stairs, her feet clomping all the way.

“Let me go check on her,” Joyce stood.

Buffy turned to Spike. “What the hell is Dawn?”

Spike glanced over his shoulder, “no idea pet, but keep quiet about her until we get back to the hotel, okay?”

“Sure…but I don’t like this…” Buffy rested her head on his shoulder and drew comfort from his scent.

“I know, luv, but the others seem so accepting of her and she so far hasn’t turned into something demonic and tried to kill us.” Spike fidgeted with his glass, he wanted a smoke but figured Joyce would not approve.

“There’s a first- something weird and it hasn’t tried to gut me!” Buffy snorted and then turned her head and nipped Spike’s shoulder.

“True,” Spike laughed while he reached over and squeezed her knee.

“Sorry about that, wanted to make sure young ears were in bed and not eavesdropping.” Joyce returned with a smile and sat back down. “Can I get you anything?”

“Joyce, luv – you had something to tell us.” Spike smiled. He could scent her nervousness.

“Um, well…it’s about Riley…” Joyce glanced at Spike to gauge his reaction to the ex soldier’s name and was relieved to see a neutral expression on her Hot chocolate drinking buddies’ face.

“Mom, I think maybe you should know that Riley and I are sorta over…well, once I get a chance to tell him…” Buffy looked up at Spike with a radiant smile.

Joyce watch Spike return her smile with one of his own and she was stunned at the complete change in Spike- he was no longer guarded or broody. Not that she would ever tell him that he had brooded. She could imagine his ire at that. Joyce smiled, amazed at how easily she accepted her daughter’s involvement with this vampire when she had railed against Angel and Buffy’s relationship.

“Honey, I kinda guessed that…and I am pleased for you.” She added firmly.

“Really?” Buffy couldn’t help but ask. She’d thought that it would have been harder than this. But a ‘Mom’ stamp of approval was of the good!

“Yes, but Spike, you do anything to hurt my baby girl and I will find that axe!” Joyce warned with a glint in her eye.

“Wouldn’t expect anything less of my girl’s Mum, and Joyce, love, I won’t do anything to hurt her…I love her!”

Buffy sighed happily and snuggled into Spike embrace. “Me too, Mom…”

“I know, but, we do have a problem with Riley.” Joyce turned the conversation back to Riley before she embarrassed herself and hugged Spike for being a cutie.

“What’s happened? I was kinda surprised he didn’t turn up at the Magic Box.” Buffy sighed as Spike pulled her closer.

“Well…it’s kinda awkward…”

“Joyce, stop beating round the bush and tell us!” Spike rumbled.

“Well, Giles, Anya and I noticed it first. He has been going to vampires and getting them to bite him…” Joyce avoided Buffy and Spike’s gaze and looked at her hands.

“Ewww, why?” Buffy wrinkled her nose.

“Prolly gets off on it, luv. Humans have been paying vamps for their bites for centuries. Must say, though, never expected it of Cap’n Cardboard…” Spike was trying to keep his tone nonchalant, but inwardly he was laughing his ass off. ‘So much for him being whiter than white!’

“People pay for it?” Buffy was stunned.

“Yeah, but the real risk is that one of the vamps’ll take too much or be there just for the easy kill…” Spike added.

“But what about the risk he was putting everyone else in? Mom and the others…if he had been vamped they would’ve been easy targets!” Buffy yelled. Her anger at Riley’s foolishness increased into a white-hot rage.

“Buffy, we all know what’s happening and are on our guard. Everyone knows not to invite him in and well we were more worried about you.” Joyce reached over and took Buffy’s cool hands in hers and tried to soothe her. She managed not to flinch when Buffy’s eyes changed and her fangs dropped down as she muttered under her breath about stupidhead soldiers who should’ve know better.

“So what are we gonna do about Soldier boy?” Spike interrupted the Mom and daughter bonding fest.

“Well, we confronted him yesterday and he ran out the shop. At least now Riley knows that we are aware of his addiction. Giles is hoping that his secret being uncovered may be enough to help him stop, if not, well…” Joyce trailed off and shrugged. “We had more important things to worry about.”

“I guess we’ll have to have a Scoobie meeting tomorrow? But Mom, I think getting rid of Drac is my priority. I don’t know what I can do or say to help Riley…” Buffy didn’t add that she didn’t really want to face her soon to be ex, but knew deep down that she would have to. Buffy wondered how she was going to break up with the ex-soldier, she had never been the dumpee, usually she was the dumped…

“We will honey we can head over after Dawnie has gone to school.” Joyce rose and began to clear the table. Buffy and Spike started to help and then paused.

“Umm Mom, Spike and I aren’t staying the night, we have a hotel room near the Magic Box.” Buffy ducked her head and waited for her Mom to freak.

“Oh…but I thought you would want to…” Joyce stopped herself and then looked sadly down at Buffy and realised that her eldest daughter was moving out and that there was nothing much she could do about it.

“Mom, I’m sorry, but Spike and I, well we…”

“Oh for Christ sake, will you two stop with the shilly shallying. Joyce luv, Buffy and I are going to be moving into our own place tomorrow. I know you probably don’t like this but you need to realise your girl loves you but things have changed.” Spike braced himself for a combined Summers scowl and was surprised when Joyce nodded and Buffy stared up in awe at him.

“I know, Spike, but you both have to promise to come over any time you want, please, I will miss her…”

“Oh Mom! I swear you’ll be sick of me, I’ll come over all the time. We both will!” Buffy flung her arms around her Mom and held her close, her vampiric sense of smell was overwhelmed with the scent of her Mom and she inhaled deeply, savouring it.

“Now Buffy, you head up and pack some things you’ll need for now and Spike and I will clear up.”

Buffy nodded, glad of the opportunity to sneak a look in Dawn’s room.

*********

“I don’t get it, Spike. Who is she and why do Mom and the others accept her so easily?” Buffy tossed her duffle onto the floor and flopped on the bed with a tired sigh.

“No idea, luv.” Spike kicked off his boots and padded over to the foot of the bed and watched as his girl stretched languidly.

“I checked her room when I was upstairs and it did the weird flickery thing as well…one minute it was teen wonderland and then it was the spare room.” Buffy lifted her foot and wriggled her toes at Spike, hoping for a massage.

Spike sat down and took the small foot offered him and began to absently massage it. He knew that his Childe was filled with tension over the meeting and her disastrous talk with Giles; he wanted to soothe and coddle her as best he could. At least Giles hadn’t made her cry…

Before they could continue there was a knock at the door.

Spike vamped out and stalked over to it and pulled it open. “Oh, it’s you…come in.”

Whistler walked in and waved at Buffy, “figured it was best to knock incase you were busy.”

“So, guess you’re here to fill us in on the newest addition to the Summers clan?” Spike sat down on the bed next to Buffy.

“Yeah, sorry. I would’ve been here sooner but I was getting someone settled in his new home.” Whistler sat down at the small table and looked hopefully over at the fridge. “Anything to drink?”

“Help yourself, mate, and get with the talking too!” Spike wrapped an arm around Buffy and tried to tamp down the violent urges he was having to leap up and rip Whistler’s head off.

“Thanks.” Whistler searched through the honour bar and pulled out a beer. “You guys want anything? No…” He sat back down and took a long drink. “Much better…”

“Come on, make with the explainy. It’s weird. Even though I know Dawn isn’t my sister, I didn’t want to, you know…” Buffy waved her hand in a staking motion.

“Yeah about that, thing is, when Kendra made you safe from magical influence well it covers a broad spectrum. If you focus deep inside yourselves you’ll find the false memories and you can access them…As for what she… is as far as we can tell, she is human but her blood is filled with a power. We’re trying to find out where she came from and what she is here for. But we think she is here for you to protect.” Whistler explained. “The Powers can’t sense any evil in her and neither can I.”

“Well, that’s a whole load of vague with an added twist of huh!” Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Wot happens if we access these memories? Will they become real to us like it has with the rest of them?” Spike demanded.

“Naaa… I had a look and look I’m still normal!” Whistler held out his hands in a dramatic flourish.

“Normal? That’s normal?” Spike jerked his thumb at Whistler and smirked at him.

“Oh Spike, you crack me up…not!” Whistler tipped his bottle in a toast and drained it in one go. “Well I’ve done my Deus ex Machina bit for today, so I’ll toddle off.” He rose only to be stopped by Buffy’s voice.

“Was it Xander you were settling into wherever you sent him?”

Whistler nodded, “yeah hon, it was. But don’t worry, he won’t be coming back until the Bosses have helped him. Okay?”

“Thanks…” Buffy tried to smile but failed, instead she yawned and tried to keep her eyes open. The day’s events had exhausted her and she was running on fumes.

“One more question before you leave, shorty. How do we access the memories?” Spike helped Buffy to lie down and then turned to face Whistler.

The small demon dug into his pocket and pulled out a cream candle and tossed it to Spike, who caught it without looking. “Meditate kids, get in touch with your inner self and all that hooey…” With that Whistler vanished in a flash of light.
Chapter 17 by Schehrezade
Chapter 17

Thank you so much to my amazing Beta Megan_Peta who as ever has come up trumps fixing my scribbles!!!

Single Quotes= thoughts

She was back…

There had been whispers in the den; he had raised his eyes from the vampiress who was biting his inner thigh and glanced around wondering if any of the vamps knew his connection to her.

The Slayer…

He grimaced as the vampiress at his thigh bit down harder; she had sensed his heartbeat race at the mention of the killer of their kind and had torn into his flesh with a vengeance. Riley ran his fingers through her lank hair and cradled her against his willing flesh. He left out a soft groan and ran his hand down her back and slapped her hard on her backside. She whimpered and pulled her fangs out of the open wound, her amber eyes glinted as she sinuously made her way up to his neck and nipped at the scabbed over bite mark.

Riley fisted his hand in her hair and pulled her head back. He leant over and with his blunt teeth mimicked a vamp bite on her pale throat. Riley ignored the head of the den as he slid into the cool depths of the vampiress that straddled him. Their coupling was animalistic and the trails of blood that ran down their bodies, a study in scarlet.

So wrapped up in the scene before him the elder vampire didn’t sense the silent observer who watched Riley and his bloodwhore from a safe vantage point in the hallway.

*******

He spotted her when he had ventured out after nightfall. Her unmistakable walk and the sassy way her hair flicked from side to side made him ache for her. But he didn’t know what she had been told…

He trailed after her as she stalked down Main Street with the blond haired menace walking beside her. Envy and anger filled him – he should be the one at her side, not him!

********

The bell over the door jingled as Spike pulled it open and waited for Buffy to enter. He clenched his jaw at the giggles that erupted from Anya at him being a gent. His pale blue eyes flashed a warning at her and he placed his hand in the small of Buffy’s back as they walked down the couple of steps to the research table.

***********

They had followed Whistler’s instructions and meditated on the candle and their false memories had been easy to access. Both of them had sat cross-legged facing each other with the flickering candle between them as they fell into a deep trance.

Deep within themselves they found the implanted memories and watched them, intrigued Dawn was interwoven into all their lives at the most inner level. Despite her being a creation of magics, they were drawn to her through their memories. As the hours passed and they watched fascinated as Dawn’s life was entwined into theirs, they both reached a realisation.

She was theirs to protect, it didn’t matter where she had come from. Their implanted memories and the emotions connected with the coltish teen had no influence on their decision – they would protect her for Joyce and for the world. Neither of them could discern from their accessed memories where she had come from or what her purpose was, but it didn’t matter.

Spike was drawn to her; she was the younger sister he had never had. He had sensed that she was an innocent in all this and this added to his determination to protect her.
Also he had a weakness for Summers women, all of them- human, vampiric and mystically created teenagers. With a surprising ease the vampire shifted Dawn from possible enemy to one of his own.

She was an extension of his Childe and for that alone he would lay down his life for the girl. They were his family.

Buffy watched as she and Dawn grew up together. Huddled together in her bed in LA as they listened to their parents argue nightly.

She watched as Dawn covered for her when she came home late from slaying and helped her dress her injuries.

Yes, there had been fights, but at the same time there had been a sisterly affection that overwhelmed it all.

Buffy watched while Dawn hid at the top of the stairs, watching Spike enter and the hesitant détente that was brokered- the first time- they had fought side by side. She wondered briefly if that was where her journey with her Sire had begun.

Buffy’s eyes filled with tears as she watched the three of them interact, Joyce, Dawn and herself, and she came to a realisation.

Dawn was Joyce’s only living daughter, the one who may give Mom the grandbabies when she grew older that Buffy now couldn’t. And with that Buffy vowed to herself then and there that nothing would ever hurt Dawn. It didn’t matter where she had come from or how Dawn had been created, she was precious to Joyce and now her, and nothing would stop her from protecting the teen.

It would be her gift to their Mom.

Her legacy to the world.

Then as one they woke from their trance.

The rest of the day they had spent in bed talking and making love over and over until they were swimming in each other’s scents.

Together they discussed Dawn and what they both mutually agreed to do.

To protect her for Joyce.

For their family.

**************

Spike hesitated for a second, his eyes flashed amber and then returned to blue. He felt a prickle along his spine. Someone or something was watching them…

“Spike, you okay?” Buffy noticed he had paused and eyed him curiously.

Spike cracked his neck and then lazily turned to face the door. “Thought I felt summthin’ watching us…”

“Really?” Anya walked around the cash desk and stared quizzically out the shop window. “What? Human or demon?”

Spike glanced down at the tired girl, noting the black circles around her eyes. His face softened, “You all right, pet?”

Anya’s lips tightened and she shook her head.

“No, I’m worried about…” she trailed off at the angry glint in Spike’s eyes. “I’m sorry, Spike, really I am…I had no idea what he would do.” She wrung her hands and stared up earnestly at the silent vampire. Her eyes flicked to Buffy who had stepped away to give them some privacy. “If I had I would’ve done everything I could to stop him…” She hung her head, unable to look him in the eyes.

Spike wanted to reassure her but couldn’t. She was worried about the wanker and he honestly didn’t care about him. But her distress was calling to his inner William. Hesitantly he reached out a hand to pat her on the shoulder and then to his surprise his arms were full of a sobbing Anya. He looked over at his Childe for help; his arms hovered in a loose circle around the weeping girl’s back.

Buffy frowned and made hugging gestures to him and then turned to talk with Tara.

Spike huffed and then cautiously wrapped his arms around Anya, and patted her awkwardly. “It’ll be okay, pet…”

*******

Riley shrank back when Spike turned to look; the blond vampire’s eyes scanned the alley he was hiding in. He didn’t leave, he was aching to get to Buffy, they needed to talk. But he had no idea what the others had said to her and with Spike there, it was not a good idea to go in. He might smell all the fresh bites that littered his body and the ex-soldier knew that Hostile 17 wouldn’t hesitate to crow about his bites. He needed to get Buffy on her own - maybe on patrol... Riley frowned, realising that Spike would probably be trailing after her. ‘Or maybe not…’

Riley stiffened at the sight of Anya curling into Spike’s arms. ‘Maybe the two demons have hooked up? When did Spike find out that Harmony was dust? So much for loyalty and eternal love! Wonder when Xander finally dumped her demonic ass…’ He had never understood what Xander was doing with Anya, but from what Buffy and the others had said, Xander was attracted to demoness. It had been the one thing that had disgusted him about Xander, he couldn’t figure out why he would fight them all night and then go home to one. It was revolting.

He stood there watching the two of them cuddling, completely ignoring his own ‘disgusting’ attraction to demons, caught up in his own hypocrisy. Riley wondered why the others were so unconcerned about the two demons making with the snuggles. Tara, Buffy and Giles were friends of Xander’s, not those two. They were outsiders to the group, barely tolerated.

Or so he thought. Riley had been missing for so long that he had no idea of the change in the group dynamics, or that two of the core Scoobies were gone.

He worked himself into a self-righteous snit as he watched the two of them talking quietly. Riley decided that he would be the one to sort out the wheat from the chaff, after he had made up with Buffy. With that he shrank back into the shadows and disappeared down the Alley, heading towards Willy’s Bar. He needed a drink and a quick fix and knew he’d get them there.

*******

“So do you think that they’ll be able to help Willow?” Buffy demanded of Giles as he sat down at the table.

“I’m positive that they will, Buffy. I spoke with one of the coven members earlier today and they assured me that they could help Willow develop control over her abuse of magicks. It’s a matter of training and self-discipline.” Giles sighed tiredly. The events of the previous night weighed heavily on his mind.

Added to that, the long conversation he had with Joyce that morning had been exhausting, but he had started to accept that possibly Joyce was right. Spike and Buffy were a couple and he would, to quote Joyce, ‘have to extract the bug out of his ass and grow the hell up and make sure that he was good to her girl. Or else!’ Giles had gaped in surprise at the strong words that had erupted from the usually polite woman and, stunned, had nodded his agreement.

He was determined to ease Buffy’s transition into her new life. He had researched all the Watcher diaries he had to hand, trying to determine if there had ever been another Slayer who had been turned. He wanted guidance on how to help; Giles knew that there was no option of going to the Council. If they learned of Buffy’s new status they would act on it and send a team to the Hellmouth to destroy her. The silence from London was telling him his suspicions were confirmed. The Slayer line ran through Faith now, and not Buffy.

He had talked with Anya and tried to glean any information she might have heard during her years as a vengeance demon, but she had never heard of a Slayer being turned. She had promised to discreetly check around, both of them aware that they had to be careful.

A turned Slayer would be to great a prize for some…they had to protect her from all who would harm her. Giles stared at Spike assessingly; he knew that as Buffy’s Sire he would protect her until he was dust. The Watcher mentally noted that they should talk, maybe Spike knew something about turned Slayers. He had a fascination for them; it was possible that he had information that would help.

He snorted under his breath. He was going to Spike for help? Times had definitely changed.

“Giles?” Buffy waved her hand in front of his face. She was freaked that he had zoned out. ‘Maybe he hates what I’ve become?’ She worried her lower lip with her teeth and tried not to panic. She knew it was going to be a long while before Giles accepted what she now was, and it hurt…

Spike sensed Buffy’s distress through their bond and turned to face her. Pulling Anya with him he stalked over to the table and plopped down next to Buffy. He reached over and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, offering silent support.

“What? Sorry, I was miles away. What was it you said?” Giles reached over and hesitantly patted her hand and managed to suppress his surprise at the cool temperature of her skin. He had expected it, but it was still a surprise.

“When can we talk to Wills?” Buffy asked quietly, her gaze on Tara’s strained face. She knew that the gentle Wiccan wanted to ask but was too shy to do so.

“In time, for now we must place our trust in the Coven. They have promised daily reports on her progress. When they feel she is ready they will allow us to talk to her. However we can write to her, they have asked that we do so as it will help Willow to realise that we haven’t abandoned her.” Giles sat back with a sigh.

“I can write to her then?” Tara asked hopefully.

Giles nodded with a smile. “Absolutely, I’m sure she will be comforted by your letters. I have the address here.” With that Giles pulled out a notebook and tore off a page.

“May I have it, too?” Anya asked nervously. “I’d like to write to her, if that’s okay?”

“Indeed, however Anya please keep the letter light and try not to refer to…” Giles hesitated looking over at Buffy.

“Man, you can say Xander’s name!” Buffy crossed her arms and rolled her eyes at Giles. “We all need to stop skirting around him. We know what he did to me…we know what Willow did to him as well!”

“You know?” Tara interrupted surprise colouring her face.

“Yeah, the Nibblet filled us in last night over supper. Must say was a bit surprised at Red’s torture techniques…” Spike stopped aghast at the expression on Tara’s face and the tears that fell down hers and Anya’s cheeks. ‘Bollocks I made the two of them cry…’

He reached into his pocket for a cigarette and then caught Buffy’s frown and yelped when she pinched him hard on the side. “Sorry doves, I didn’t mean to make you weep…forgive me…I’m a bad rude vampire…”

Tara sniffed and mopped the tears from her face and nodded at Spike. “S’okay…”
She knew that an apology from the embarrassed vampire was an alien thing and also a precious commodity. So she decided to accept it easily, to make Spike feel better and also to make sure that he knew that he was accepted and whatever he said or did wrong could be forgiven.

“I need to count the money, it makes me feel better…” Anya flew to the cash till and began to shuffle the cash around.

“Bugger…” Spike stood and stalked out of the shop. He stood in plain view and puffed on a cigarette. He hated to see women cry and felt sick to his stomach that he was the cause of their tears. ‘Bloody ponce…’

“Should one of us go out there?” Tara gestured to the now pacing Spike, who was muttering to himself and waving his arms around.

Buffy shook her head, “no, let him be. He’ll be right back in.”

“Okay,.” Tara sank back down. “How was dinner with your mom?”

Buffy hesitated. She and Spike had decided earlier to not tell the others about Dawn, the less people that knew the safer it was. “It was good, she was kinda sad though…”

“Really? Why?” Tara asked curiously.

“Well, Spike and I are moving in together…and well, I think she was hoping I was gonna stay with her.”

Giles managed not to squawk at the flippant way Buffy discussed that she was moving in with Spike. He hoped like hell it wasn’t into the crypt…but then again, he doubted Joyce would allow that, and neither would Buffy. One thing he had learned in his years as her Watcher Buffy didn’t settle for second best. No, he imagined that Spike would be rushed off his feet catering to her demands and probably loving every second of it!

“No melt down Giles?” Buffy had expected at least a ‘dear lord’ and some serious glass cleaning, instead there was a bemused smile on her Watcher’s face and nothing said.

“No…but please make sure I have a telephone number to contact you on.” Giles stood and went over to the shop door. He pulled it open and stuck out his head, “get in here, you nance, and stop hiding from the girls. We’ve a lot to get through tonight.”

Spike froze mid-step and looked over at the Englishman. “Right then…” he headed over to the door and then froze, a familiar and yet irritating scent filled his nostrils. Spike growled and cocked his head and sniffed the air, it was faint but it was the git.

“Spike? What’s wrong?” Giles noticed the feral look on the shorter man’s… err… vamp’s face and began to reach for the stake in his waistband.

“Whitbread’s been here tonight.” Spike snarled and raced towards the now empty alleyway, Giles close on his heels.

“Anything?” Giles panted- he needed to go to the gym more often or at least try to start running again…

“Was here a while ago but headed off that way.” Spike jerked his head down the alley. He sniffed the air, “he’s been bit recently. I can smell the blood.”

“Balls! I had hoped our confronting him might have shown the git the error of his ways…”

Spike raised a scarred brow at Giles and tried not to laugh outright in his face. “Yeah, m’sure a few harsh words’ll make the arse see the error of his ways!”

“Well, when you put it that way…no. What the ruddy hell are we going to do?” Giles gritted out, frustrated beyond reason.

“One thing at a time, first we need to find the bugger and maybe chain him up in a nice dark basement and kick him in the balls…”Spike trailed off sheepishly. “Wot!”

Giles managed to do a good impression of Buffy and rolled his eyes at the idiot vampire. “Yes dear, that’s an excellent plan!”

“Alright, so I’m not good with the planning, I get bored easily…” Spike joked.

“I’ve noticed,” Giles replied dryly. “Come on we need to get planning.”

*********

“What are they doing out there?” Anya hissed as she tried to peek over Tara’s shoulder. All three of the girls were huddled in the doorway watching Giles and Spike talking and surprisingly, laughing.

“Male bonding, I think?” Buffy cocked her head and smiled at her two British men.

“Quick! Look busy, they’re coming back.” Tara yelped and ran to the back of the store.

Anya and Buffy ran into each other and ended up on the floor giggling.

“What are you doing down there, pet?” Spike reached down and pulled the giggling mess of his Childe up and into his arms. Giles helped Anya to her feet and then pulled the door shut.

“Nuthin!” Buffy pouted up at Spike. “What were you two doing out there?”

“Nuthin.” Spike echoed her slang with a smile

“Hmmm…don’t tell then!” Buffy reached down and gave Spike’s butt a hard squeeze and then smirked as he hardened against her.

“When you two have finished flirting we need to sort out a plan of attack on Dracula.” Giles interrupted the vampiric lovefest that was taking place right before his eyes.

“Yes Dad!” Buffy pulled Spike along with her back to the table.

“Right, well we have not been able to locate his new abode. The mansion has disappeared. However I doubt that he has left Sunnydale as there has been a massive rise in sudden deaths from neck ruptures,” Giles added wryly. He marvelled at the idiocy of the police force in Sunnydale, but it often worked in their favour.

“Really, the whole place has gone?” Buffy leant forward and rested her elbows on the table, Spike’s hand on the small of her back keeping her calm.

“Yes I checked this morning and the dog pound, it would appear, is back in business.”

“So what do we do now?” Spike interjected.

“Well I was wondering if you were up to patrolling, Buffy?” Giles asked hesitantly. He was acutely aware that she was still recovering from her ordeal and was not too sure if she was up to patrolling the cemeteries so soon. But they needed to.

“Sure! I’ve got some wicked moves I can’t wait to try out on the bad guys! Spike and I have been training…”

“She’s a marvel, got a whole load of new moves and a nifty trick.” Spike smiled proudly at his Childe. “Go show em! It’ll knock the tweed boxers off the Watcher here!”

With a smile Buffy vanished in a puff of black smoke.

“Wow!” Tara blinked and stared at the empty seat.

“OH!” Anya looked around the shop excitedly.

“Good grief!” Giles leapt to his feet and stared in shock at Buffy’s empty seat.

“Look behind you, Rupes.” Spike pointed to the metal staircase leading up to the prohibited section.

“Hey guys.” Buffy waved from her new seat. “Pretty cool, huh?”

“I’ll say, and you are in complete control of this vanishing trick?” Giles exclaimed excitedly.

“Yup, and Whistler said that the only way I can dust Drac is when we are both in mid poof! So at least I can take him out, yeah?” Buffy bounced back to her seat and sat down with a face splitting smile.

“Excellent! That is good news.” Giles sat back down.

“Any other Drac tricks?” Anya asked curiously.

“Not that we’ve discovered yet,” Spike answered Anya’s question. “But she’s a lot stronger than before,” he added proudly.

“She can answer for herself, Spike!” Buffy poked him in the side and gave him a sphinx like smile.

“Does it feel weird when you do it?” Tara asked.

Spike bit his tongue and refrained from teasing the innocent girl.

“Not really, I can see all of you but it’s like I’m a few seconds out of time, it’s hard to explain…”

Giles fingers itched to reach for his journal to document this, but he resisted. He would wait until he was home with a glass of scotch in one hand and a good record playing as loud as he could get away with without waking the neighbours.

“So, what’s the plan? We go patrol and see if we can sniff out Drac’s new pad?” Spike leant back on his chair and tried to control his anticipation. He wanted a good rough and tumble before he and his Childe moved into their new digs. He couldn’t wait to see her face when he took her home. ‘Home… that has a nice ring to it!’

“Yes, I think that’s a sound idea, shall we join you both?”

“No Giles, you guys look like you need some shut eye. We’ll catch up with you tomorrow and fill you in.” Buffy pulled Spike to his feet, she headed over and hugged Tara and Anya. She then stood hesitantly in front of Giles unsure if she should hug him too. Giles stood and took her in his arms, deciding for her.

“I’m glad you’re home. Be careful tonight, please,” he whispered into her hair.

Buffy pulled him closer and squeezed him tight. “We will…thank you, Giles.”

“Night, ladies…Rupes, have a drinkie for me.”

With that the two vampires exited the Magic Box and headed out to hunt.

“I guess we need to research the snake thingie before we go, right?” Tara reached for a book and silence descended on the Magic Box as they searched for a clue on what the demon was and who might have released it.

*******

He followed the two of them from a distance- falling back on his training- and was able to remain off their radar. Riley frowned at the easy way they interacted; he had never seen the two of them on patrol. Their easy banter and quick reflexes illustrated to him how well matched they were.

The tall man felt a pang of anger and jealousy run through him. Buffy and he had never meshed so well when they fought; there had always been an advantage in Buffy’s favour. She was faster and stronger; he had thought that he could cope with that. Be proud of her. But slowly the rot had set in. Riley had felt inadequate – not strong enough and not dark enough…

But now maybe he was. He had realised that Buffy needed a bit of darkness in her man and maybe now he’d measure up. Riley didn’t even pause to consider that what he was thinking was wrong and he needed help. Neither did he notice that Buffy was stronger and faster than before, and that she had lavender tinted eyes and fangs. He was too caught up in his fury and envy.

********

“Duck!” Buffy yelled as she leapt over his head, mimicking the move he had pulled on her in the cabin. She landed on the vamp that had tried to blindside her Sire and with a twist of her hands, ripped his head off. Twirling she bounced on her heels and wiped her hands on the seat of her hipster jeans. The thrill of the hunt was filling her with glee.

“Enjoyin’ yourself, sweetness?” Spike straightened and with a shake of his shoulders, settled his ever-present duster onto his lean frame.

“Yeah, it’s good to be patrolling.” Buffy skipped off happily, followed by a grinning Spike. He gazed in appreciation at her jean-clad backside; she was cute when she was slaying. Watching her fight had always turned him on and now that he intimately knew what was under her form fitting clothes, he was harder than ever.

Lost in his randy thoughts he tripped over something and fell face first at Buffy’s feet.
Scrambling up he froze when his hand made contact with what he had fallen over.

“So much for the vampiric grace that Giles is always babbling about!” Buffy giggled and then her face froze when she saw what Spike had tripped over. “Oh!” She knelt down and reached over and turned the corpse’s head to one side, revealing the bite marks on his neck.

Spike wiped his hands on his duster and stared down at the cooling corpse. “N’other one of Drac’s tarts, do you think?” He sniffed the air and recognised the scent as being the Bride that had given him the box as he had left. ‘Bugger all, forgot all about that!’ He thrust his hand into his pocket and felt the small squashed parcel.

“Yeah, smells like one of his girls.” Buffy ran her hand over the terror filled open eyes that stared sightlessly up at the stars, closing them. “What should we do?”

“Call Rupes and get him to do the usual anonymous call to the boys in blue.” Spike pulled Buffy up and curled his arms around her shoulders and walked her away from the corpse.

“I wish I could’ve…”

“We’ll stop him, never fear, luv.” Spike turned her to face him and cupped her chin in his hand. Raising her face he brushed his lips over her quivering lips. He knew that smelling the vampiress would bring back memories of her imprisonment. Spike brushed her tears of with his fingers, his eyes filled with concern. “You okay, Childe?”

Buffy sniffled and then nodded as determination filled her eyes. “Not gonna let them freak me out, I’m okay. But I need a kiss, Spike…” She looked up through her lashes coyly.

“M’pleasure luv…never need to ask…” Spike leant down and captured her lips in a sweet kiss that lingered.

Riley froze at the sight of Spike kissing his girl; his knuckles whitened as he clenched his fists. ‘That scum is touching her!’

He launched himself out from behind the crypt he was hiding behind, with a bellow of anger.

Buffy flew backwards as Spike was ripped from her arms; she cracked her head on a gravestone and her vision blurred. Looking up she saw Spike struggling with a tall form. Pushing herself up she wavered for a moment and then straightened.

Spike growled and vamped out as his attacker wrestled with him. A grunt escaped his mouth when a fist impacted with his stomach. Spike doubled over and then surged upwards. Using the back of his head as a weapon he caught his attacker on the chin. Spike smirked at the resounding crack that echoed across the moonlit cemetery. Spinning, he kicked the tall form away from him with a growl.

Shaking his head to clear it, Spike pounced on the fallen form and began to unleash a flurry of blows on the now groaning attacker.

He raised his arm to belt the bastard once more only to be stopped by Buffy’s slim hand and her gasp of astonishment. “Spike! It’s Riley…he’s a vamp!”

Spike leapt up, disgusted that he had been straddling the ponce and not realising. But his rage had blurred his senses and he had fought instinctively. Not realising it was Captain America.

“Wot! He’s a vamp? How…when?” he spluttered. Spike looked down at his blood soaked knuckles in shock.

“He has to be, cos no ‘argh’ from the chip!” Buffy ran her hand over the back of Spike’s head.

“Nope, didn’t feel a thing,” Spike cocked his head and stared down at Riley’s fallen form. Then he froze…

Riley was breathing…

“Luv, he’s not a vamp!” Spike whispered in shock. His hand went to his temple and rubbed it. “I think he’s still human…”

Buffy’s shocked eyes widened and she dropped to her knees and checked Riley for a pulse. “He’s alive…but you hit him!”

“I know, luv...”

“Wow! Do you think that they,” she pointed upwards, “turned it off?”

“Dunno…” Before Spike could continue Riley leapt up and grabbed Buffy in his arms. “Oi, let her go!”

“Buffy stake him, his chip’s not working!” Riley gasped as he coughed up blood. Delight filled him, now she would get rid of the pest.

Buffy pulled away from Riley and stared at him in shock and disgust. “Lemme go!”

Riley shook her hard, “stake him! He can kill again!” He was lost in anger and didn’t notice that Buffy was snarling at him in anger. As he yelled at her to stake Spike, spittle ran down his chin.

“Is that all you’ve got to say? No ‘where have you been, honey? Are you all right? What happened to you, Buffy? Sorry I didn’t come save you?’” She yelled and vamped out in anger at the enraged man who was gripping her arms.

Riley tore his eyes off Spike’s smirking countenance and stared down in shock at her demonic features.

Unable to stop himself he hardened in excitement. ‘She’s a vampire!’ Arousal flooded him. There was no consideration that his girlfriend had been turned into what she was destined to hunt. Only that now she was even more perfect for him. Visions of them making love and her biting filled his mind and his cock jerked in his slacks. With an excited moan he rubbed his erection against Buffy who stood stunned in his arms. Ignoring Spike growls of anger and possession. Before Spike could intervene Buffy pulled away from Riley.

“Ewww!” She pulled away from Riley and stepped into Spike’s arms.

“Buffy…” Riley stared in shock at her cradled in her enemy’s arms. “What are you doing? You’re mine!”

“She’s no one’s chattel, mate.” Spike snarled and glared at Riley through amber eyes.

“Riley, what are you doing?” Buffy gasped in shock. She realised in that moment that he was outta his mind and there was nothing she could do to help. She wondered if contacting the army and getting them to come and retrieve Riley might help.

“Buffy, you’re my girl and now…” Riley was lost to reason, his arousal had overwhelmed him completely.

She shook her head sadly, “Riley, don’t. Please not this…”

Riley stopped himself from reaching for Buffy and reason flooded him like a dash of cold water in the face. ‘Oh Jesus, what am I doing…’ He stared in embarrassment and shock at the two blonds who were in each other’s arms and shame filled him for the first time in ages. “I…I…Buffy, oh god, I’m sorry…” Riley turned and ran as fast as he could. Ignoring the pain in his ribs and the shouts of the two vampires following him. He needed to get away and think. Go somewhere and heal, before he could face her and apologise.

He slipped through a break in the fence and disappeared down a side street, losing his trackers.

Sweat ran down his face as he ran from his inner demons and the real ones who had tried to follow him.

He kept running for what seemed like hours. His hear racing in his chest and his breaths exploding from his mouth in deep gasps. Tears ran down his face as he replayed all the visits to the vampire den and he began to sob. Riley sank to his knees and tore at his hair.

What had he done?

What had he become…

When had a bite become more important than Buffy?

He had lost her and it was what he deserved…

“Hush now handsome, don’t be so sad!” A purring contralto voice filled his ears. A slim woman appeared out of the shadows. “Come on, I’ll help you…”

Before Riley to say anything he felt someone move up behind him. A blow landed on his head, and then there was pain and blessed oblivion….
Chapter 18 by Schehrezade
Excerpts taken from No Place from Home.

Many huggles and squishes to Megan for all her help with this chappie!

Single Quotes = Thoughts

Chapter 18

Spike squinted at Clem’s note and checked the address again. The saggy skinned demon’s writing looked like a spider had been dosed with LSD, then tossed into a pot of ink before being let loose on a piece of paper.

Buffy was curled up in the front seat of the Desoto and snoring softly.

Both of them were exhausted by the night’s events. After confronting Riley in the cemetery and discovering that Spike’s chip was inactive, they had chased him into the alleys of Sunnydale only to lose him. When they had tripped over a dozing tramp, and once they had managed to regain their footing, Riley was long gone.

Trudging tiredly back to the car, Spike had tested his lack of chippage, by deliberately walking into a group of teens and bumping them. To his delight the chip didn’t fire once. They figured it was a side effect of whatever Kendra and Whistler had done to them; Buffy promised herself next time one of them appeared she’d ask them.

Buffy had been pleased for Spike, glad that he would be able to defend himself from all attackers. Not once did it occur to her that he would go back to the killing fields; she trusted him. She tried to smile but failed- concern for Riley filled her, as well as disgust over his weirdness. They had headed over to the Magic Box to collect the car and leave a note for Giles and the others.

Buffy had fallen asleep the instant they had sat in the Desoto. Spike checked the address and drove two hundred yards down the street and parked up in front of a boarded up shop. He stepped out of the car and then leant against it.

“Clem, I’m gonna kill you!” Spike muttered under his breath as he checked the address again and confirmed he was in the right place. His azure eyes scanned the boarded up front, “is that his idea of necro-tempered glass?” Spike looked up at the sign, which proudly claimed to all who bothered to read it ‘Sal’s Gym’. “Bet it stinks of sweaty jockstraps as well…” Spike muttered.

He turned and checked on his sleeping Childe- she looked stunning, all soft and sleepy. He had been amazed that she hadn’t staked him immediately on discovering he was freed from the chip. Instead she had smiled and given him a gentle kiss.

His Childe - the Slayer. The way she had taken over his heart and mind in such a few days, constantly stunned Spike. He had never in his wildest dreams- and he’d had some doozys recently- expected this. And now Spike knew he would destroy anyone and anything that would attempt to take her from him. His eyes glinted gold and Spike’s fangs dropped at the thought of the fight he would put up for her.

But for now he was gonna pull Clem’s skin tight for pawning this dump off on him!

“Psst, Spike, over here!”

Spike’s head whipped up and he spotted Clem hidden in the doorway of the Gym. He had a Fedora pulled over his ears and was waving enthusiastically at the vampire.

“Clem,” he growled and stalked over to the demon.

“Spike, hey there! What do you think?” Clem handed over the keys and gestured for the vampire to open the door.

Spike snorted and stared at the keys in his hand; from the key chain swung a small Carebear. Unable to stop himself he smiled at the incongruous stuffed toy. It was typical of Clem.

“Spike?” Buffy peered sleepily out of the Desoto; her eyes widened at the wrinkly sight of Clem and she slid out of the car. “Um, hi, friend of Spike?” she said cautiously.

“Howdy.” Clem waved at Buffy; his eyes lit up, with surprise and pleasure. “Wow. Spike, she’s kinda cute for someone with tight skin!”

“Clem,” Spike growled warningly.

“So, are you Buffy? Spike’s mentioned you a few times, but when he gets drunk you’re all he talks about.” Clem continued nattering blithely, unaware of the now embarrassed Spike standing next to him. He was just delighted to see that his friend had got the girl.

“Shut up,” Spike hissed as Buffy giggled at Clem.

She liked this sweet demon and especially more so cos he had managed to get Spike all cute and fuzzy with shyness over his announcement. “Yeah, I’m Buffy, and I guess you’re Clem?” She stuck out her hand and it was enveloped in Clem’s massive mitt and was shaken vigorously.

“Yup, that’s me! So whaddyah think of your new digs?” Clem jerked a thumb over his shoulder.

Buffy’s tired eyes lit up with excitement, “Wow! It’s a gym, cool!” She bounced up to Spike and snatched the keys out of his outstretched palm and fumbled with the lock.

“Buffy…luv, I don’t think this is the place for you…” Spike whispered. “It’s not really the posh digs I had in mind.”

Buffy ignored him and pushed open the door.

“I’m gonna kill you Clem!” Spike growled and chased after his girl and then slammed into her back.

“Wow!” Buffy squealed and wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck.

“Did I do okay? I figured you guys’d want someplace to workout…the windows are on special order, they weren’t standard size so I had to put up the boards for now…” Clem babbled excitedly. “They’re going to be here tomorrow!”

Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy and then turned them both to face the demon.

“Mate, m’sorry, thought you’d pulled a fast one on us!”

Clem shook his head, “Spike, never! I owe you big and not just for the kittens!”

“This is all for us?” Buffy scanned the well-equipped gym and all the weapons lining the walls, her eyes glittering with excitement.

“Yup! And I fixed up the loft for you guys too, come on!” Clem headed to the doorway on the left of the gym and pushed it open. “After you guys! Spike, maybe you should follow the human ritual of carrying her over the threshold?”

Spike curled his tongue against the back of his teeth and smiled. He swept Buffy off her feet and tossed her over his shoulder.

“Spike!” she giggled. Unable to resist she grabbed hold of his perky ass and gave it a good squeeze.

“Wot! It’s tradition!” Spike took the steps two at a time. He groaned as she squeezed his arse again and he hardened against his zipper. He gave her backside a firm slap in retaliation.

Clem followed behind them, laughing at the crazy couple. It filled his heart with joy to see the normally angry vampire happy at last. Harmony had been totally wrong for his friend; Clem wondered what had happened to the vapid vampiress. He’d been to the Crypt to collect Spike’s gear and she had been nowhere in sight…only a lot of dust. Clem’s eyes widened at the realisation that dawned on him. He wondered if it had been either of the blonds who had dusted her, or someone else. He decided to wait to talk to Spike about his erstwhile girl’s fate – he didn’t want to spoil the moment…

The heavy metal security door at the top of the stairs was kicked open and Spike stepped through. He swung Buffy to her feet and they stood looking around at the massive loft that Clem had given them.

The floors were the original pine, stripped back and polished to their former glory. The walls had been painted a deep umber colour, which gave the high ceilinged room a warmth and cheery brightness. Along the front wall were floor to ceiling windows, covered with wispy thin terracotta silks. There were shelves down one wall and a long oak table next to them. Arranged clumsily in a tall glass vase were some pink roses.

A large sofa and two big armchairs sat in front of an entertainment centre. Clem had known Spike would want a TV and had gone all out for his friend.

There was kitchen to their right, and next to it was a tall double door.

“Clem, this is beautiful!” Buffy turned and impulsively hugged him. She rolled her eyes at Spike’s rumble of warning.

“It’s the best I could do on such short notice. The windows up here are vamp safe so you can leave the curtains open! Umm, I stocked the fridge with blood and food, didn’t know who else was gonna be here.” Clem patted Buffy on the back as she squeezed him again.

“Also, Spike, I picked up your stuff from the Crypt, it’s all in the bedroom over there.” Clem hesitated. “Um, you’re friend wasn’t there though, so I took everything.”

“Friend?” Spike frowned. “Oh, you mean Harm…wonder where she buggered off to?” He peeked at Buffy wondering if she would freak out at the mention of Harmony’s name.

“Yeah Blondie Bear, wonder where she is!” Buffy sashayed past Spike and began to investigate the loft. She knew Harmony was a non-issue, but couldn’t help teasing her Sire about her. ‘Man his taste sucked until we got together!’ Buffy peeked into the bedroom and her eyes widened at the sight of the enormous wrought Iron bed. ‘Wow! Loads of room to play in!’ Clem rose even further in her estimation. She shut the door and sauntered over to the sofa and flopped down on it.

“Buffy, luv. Clem n’ I are gonna get your stuff from the car.”

“Kay, I’ll stay here and bond with the place.” Buffy ran her hands over the kilm covered sofa and hummed appreciatively at the texture and rich colours.

It took Clem and Spike several journeys to empty the Desoto of all of Buffy’s possessions. The two vampires had packed a lot the previous night after dinner in preparation for the move. By the time they had finished, Buffy had fallen asleep again.

Spike saw Clem out and locked up the front door for the night. His friend had done him proud.

Trudging tiredly up the stairs he scooped his sleeping Childe up and carried her into their bedroom. The door snicked shut behind them.


***********

Buffy yawned and stretched sleepily. She was bathed in a pool of sunlight and was as content as a kitten. Spike rolled onto his side and stared at her sleeping features in awe. He had only seen her once in the sunlight and he had been too busy dancin’ with her to notice how beautiful she had looked. He glanced at the windows in amazement and then back down at his hand that lay across her waist and was bathed in the same golden glow. ‘Ruddy marvellous invention!’

He realised that Buffy would enjoy this even more as she was still used to being able to walk around in the sunlight. Now she could in their home, he pondered asking Giles and Joyce if they would be open to installing the same treated glass in the shop and their homes. It would make life a lot easier for his Childe if she were able to move around in daylight. Which reminded him he needed to check sewer access here and make sure that any Tom, Dick or Harry couldn’t get in. ‘Wonder if Glinda could set up some sort of barrier for them? He knew that, being vamps, their home was open to all other vampires and that made him uneasy.

Unable to resist it, he tickled the end of Buffy’s nose. He wanted her awake and enjoying the warmth of the sunlight with him.

Buffy batted at her nose and woke with a sleepy yawn. “Mmmm…afternoon,” she sighed and then turned over onto her side and snuggled back into Spike’s body. He waited for her to notice and counted backwards 3…2…1…

“Spike!” Buffy sat up with a yelp.

“Yeah, luv?”

“The sun!”

“Right pretty, ain’t it?”

“But we’re not on fire!” Buffy gasped.

“I know, remember Clem put in the special glass for us?”

“Oh…wow…you look even hotter in sunlight…and can I sound any lamer?” Buffy flopped back on the crisp linen sheets and reached over and traced her index finger down his nose. “Your eyes are all pretty in the light!”

“M’not pretty! I’m handsome!” Spike pouted down at Buffy and then leant forward for a kiss.

“Hmmm, nice! Coffee?” Buffy murmured against his lips.

“Demanding hussy, aren’t you?” Spike teased as he slid out of the bed and padded naked to the doors. Pushing them open he stepped into the sunlit main room, he paused and stretched before heading into the kitchen.

He started opening the cabinet doors and investigated the contents of the kitchen.

“We should call the others and let them know where we’re living. Kinda cool we’re only down the street from the shop.” Buffy appeared dressed in Spike’s discarded t-shirt that skimmed her toned thighs. Her hair was all sleep-tousled as she watched Spike saunter around naked, her eyes glowing in appreciation.

“Think there’s a phone round her summwhere,” Spike mumbled around a Weetabix.

Buffy hopped off the counter and began searching for the phone.

“Could hang off for a bit, so we can get ourselves sorted here?” Spike asked hopefully, not wanting the real world to intrude into their home.

“Hey Mom!” Buffy looked over apologetically at Spike, she mouthed sorry as she listened to her Mom chatter. “Mom, hold on, I just wanted to give you the address of our place…yeah, we’ve moved in…uh huh…sure, it’d be great if you could bring some more of my stuff over…we’re just down from the Magic Box.” She gave the address and hung up happily.

“Sorry, sweetie. She was already on the line. But she’s promised to come over much later.” Buffy pouted up at Spike and batted her eyelashes.

He leant in for a kiss and before their lips touched there was an almighty crash

“Bugger it all to hell, can’t a bloke get cosy with his girl?” Spike stormed off to the door and was about to yank it open.

“Spike!” Buffy yelled.

“Wot?”

“Umm, as much as I appreciate the view I don’t want you flashing your goodies all over town!” Buffy pointed to his groin.

Spike looked down at his semi erect cock and then shrugged. He disappeared into the bedroom and reappeared pulling on some sweat pants. His bare feet slapping on the pine floor as he headed down the stairs.

Buffy poured some coffee and sipped at it as she listened to the muffled voices coming up the stairs.

“Right, nothing happened, just the windows being installed. Looks right smart.” Spike reappeared and headed for the kitchen. He smiled at Buffy as she handed him a mug of coffee.

“Are they done?”

“Nearly, luv. Clem’s mates are just cleaning up and then we’re all set!” Spike sipped the cooling coffee with a sigh and scrubbed his hair with his free hand, adding to his curls.

“Can we train?”

“Sure, luv, but lets get some of your gear stowed first. Gotta make the place look smart for your Mum and Nib when they come visiting.”

********

“No fair!” Buffy scrambled up from the mats and pouted at Spike who was bouncing on his feet and laughing. “You distracted me with your pecs!”

“Well gotta use the weapons to hand, Childe of my heart!” Spike sniggered. Before he could launch into another attack, the doorbell rang.

“Ohh! It’s Mom!” Buffy rushed over and pulled the door open with a welcoming smile. She was bursting to show off her new home to her Mom and Dawn. She was greeted with a massive squeal of excitement from Dawn as she swung through the door.

“Wow, Buffy! Check it out. It’s your own personal gym…” Dawn’s excited babble dried up and she flushed bright red at the sight of a shirtless Spike.

“Alright, Nibblet?” Spike called over as he tugged a black wife beater over his head and covered up the object of Dawn’s admiration. She flushed even redder and gazed in adoration at Spike.

Buffy suppressed a growl of jealousy at Dawn’s obvious attraction towards her Sire. 'She’s so annoying…’

Buffy knew that Spike would be mortified to the depths of his surprisingly active Victorian morals if he realised her baby sister was macking on him. He viewed Dawn as family and if he ever thought she entertained anything more than filial love Spike, would be horrified!

“So, who’s Sal?” Joyce teased as she walked in and handed Buffy the massive orchid plant to Buffy. “It’s okay, I made sure to get you a silk one!” She had noticed the flash of anger in her oldest’s eyes towards Dawn and quickly intervened before her daughters said or did anything that they wouldn’t be able to take back.

The older woman knew that Dawn’s crush would be fleeting and that she was unaware that she was broadcasting her puppy love so loudly. Teenage crushes were to be expected and it wasn’t surprising that Dawn was attracted to Spike. Joyce wasn’t blind. Spike was an attractive vampire - his tenderness and animalistic grace were entrancing to all women. ‘His cheekbones should be illegal!’

“You know me too well, Mom.” Buffy brushed a kiss on her mother’s cheek in thanks, drawing Joyce’s attention back to the moment with a start. “We’re gonna have to lose the sign, Spike!”

“Too right luv, last thing we need is people coming here looking for membership.” Spike made mental note to get rid of the shingle as soon as the sun went down. “Hullo, mum.” he leant over and pecked Joyce on the cheek. He inhaled her perfume and a genuine smile spread across his full lips.

“Make way, the pack mules are here.” Anya’s voice appeared from behind a box as she staggered into the room.

“Sorry, honey. Dawn told them and they offered to help…” Joyce wrapped an arm around her daughter’s shoulder in apology.

Tara and Giles followed Anya, both carrying boxes.

“We packed everything up for you,” Tara added and smiled in thanks when Spike relieved her of her burden. “Just a few more,” she disappeared out the door.

“Buffy…Spike,” Giles nodded at them in greeting, as he carefully set the box he was carrying down. He hoped that helping his Slayer move into her new home would add to the freshly brokered truce he and Spike had engendered the previous night.

“Watcher.” Spike returned his fellow Englishman’s nod warily. He hoped that maybe last night was the beginning of something more comfortable between them.

Giles pulled off his glasses and cleaned them on his coat sleeve. Carefully putting them back on he looked around the refurbished gym. “Looks very serviceable.”

“That it is,” Spike mumbled. He was taken back by the new and improved Watcher. He wondered what Joyce had threatened him with.

Giles walked slowly around examing the punching bags and the boxing ring set up to one side. His eyes lit up at the array of gleaming weapons that lined the walls. “I say, are those Ninjato swords?” Giles pulled one of the short swords off the wall and examined the blade.

“Yeah, a mate of mine sourced the lot for the Slayer.” Spike watched as Giles’s face lit up with excitement as he swung it around him.

“These are very useful for combat indoors- a much shorter span and less likely to get stuck in a wall! Simply marvellous…” Giles replaced the gleaming weapon reverently and moved on to examine the other weapons.

“Nice to see you like the collection,” Spike commented neutrally. He managed to keep his excitement and relief at the Watcher’s ease in their home.

“Oh my, an Italian crossbow!” Giles pulled the small weapon off the wall and gazed down the site. He turned to Spike and gestured at the target on the wall. “May I?”

Spike nodded and watched as the tweed clad man took aim and fired the powerful weapon; the arrow hit the target dead centre.

“Not bad, Rupes,” Spike commented as he walked over and pulled out the arrow.

“I try to keep my eye in,” Giles replied with a hint of a laugh.

“Hey guys, less with the manly displays and come help carry!” Buffy called as she walked up the stairs carrying two large boxes.

Giles caught hold of Spike’s arm as the vampire walked over to help his Childe. “If it isn’t too much of a bother, maybe we could move Buffy’s training room and accoutrements over here?”

Spike realised that this was a major offering of an olive branch and took it in the manner it was offered. “Ruddy sound idea, mate! Can’t think of a better plan, more room to manoeuvre.”

********

“So, Riley was stalking you guys? That’s creepy!” Dawn shuddered.

Buffy had stopped breathing earlier, remembering Anya’s advice from the night before- there were too many heartbeats around her. She was still trying to adjust to being around humans and their blood pumping around their bodies was calling to her demon. Her soul and her conscience were suppressing the urges – but it was difficult. She looked over at Spike who was handing out cups of coffee and wondered how long it had taken him to adjust after he had been turned. She made a mental note to talk to him when they had a few moments to themselves.

“Yeah, but we were more worried about the massive amount of bites we scented on him. Kinda lost track of him when he ran off…” Buffy trailed off as she remembered the look of lust on Riley’s face when he realised she was a vampire, and failed to suppress a shudder. She was still filled with guilt that she hadn’t managed to have the ‘talk’ with Riley.

But there had been no time, what with the fight between Spike and Riley, the discovery the chip wasn’t working and then the dry humping. Which was still grossing her out, all the time they had dated Riley had never been so overtly sexual towards her – but what filled her with horror was Riley had been like that because she was lacking a pulse and had fangs!

It wasn’t anything else, not relief that she was back. Only the sheer excitement that he had thought she was now equipped too enhance his sexual games and help with his not so sexy biting fetish. Buffy failed to suppress her shudder, her only relief was that Spike was secure enough in their relationship not to be worried or threatened by her soon to be ex. She was frustrated that she hadn’t been able to explain to Riley that it was over and now she had no idea when she would get the chance.

“This is developing into a real problem. He is dicing with death here and endangering us all.” Giles looked longingly at the well stocked bar. Spike stood and poured him a scotch and handed it to Giles with a brief nod. Giles sipped the amber drink gratefully. No one commented that it was too early in the day for liquid courage, it was a tense time and everyone recognised this, letting Giles’s need for a drink slip.

“We need to be very careful. Dawn, if Riley ever turns up and asks for an invite what do you do?” Buffy asked.

“Slam the door in his face and call you guys,” Dawn recited with a bored expression on her face.

“That’s right, Nib.” Spike slid down behind Buffy and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her back against his chest, his legs on either side of hers. Dawn glared at Buffy as jealousy consumed her.

“So we’ve tried to locate Dracula through magics, but he’s well cloaked,” Tara diverted the attention away from Dawn, before a teen tantrum could erupt.

“Crap! The dead body…” Buffy slapped her hand to her forehead.

“S’okay, luv. Called Rupes last night when Clem and I were unloading the Desoto.” Spike interjected.

“Thanks…”

“So we’re essentially in the dark about Dracula’s location. I’m afraid it’s going to be legwork that finds his hideout. Buffy…Spike, can you search him out on patrol?” Giles asked hesitantly.

The two blonds nodded.

*********

Buffy and Spike walked quietly down the street, abandoned factories on either side of them. They had patrolled the cemeteries and were now searching for either Dracula or Riley. So far it had been a bust.

They had discussed Dawn in muted whispers, neither or them could fathom why she had been sent to Sunnydale for safety. Which in itself was ironic seeing that it was an active Hellmouth. Only that she was there for Buffy to protect and, as an extension of that, for Spike to as well.

“We’re gonna have to bring the Watcher in on this, pet. He’s the one with the books and whatnot, he might be able to work out what Dawn is and why she’s here.” Spike lit a cigarette and puffed on it thoughtfully.

“I know, but it’s kinda gonna be tricky getting him to believe that Dawn hasn’t always been here…” Buffy kicked at a can and watched it skitter down the sidewalk.

“I know, but we’ve not really got a clue and from what Short and Smelly said, neither do them upstairs…” Spike jerked his thumb up at the sky.

Buffy opened her mouth to reply but was interrupted by the can that she had kicked come sailing back at her.

“I always wanted to kill the Slayer,” a voice boomed out of the darkness.

The can struck Buffy in the shin and landed with a clatter.

Before either Buffy or Spike could respond, an overweight vampire punched Buffy in stomach.

“Oi!” Spike pulled the tall, heavyset vampire off his girl and span him away from her. He ground his cigarette out on the attacker’s face with an angry snarl.

Buffy grunted and tugged her faux fur jacket straight before kicking her attacker in the balls.

Spike winced in sympathy for a second before he thumped the doubled over vamp in the temple.

“Got loads of unexpressed rage, haven’t you, mate?” Spike watched as Buffy beat the stuffing out of the biker vamp. He eyed the naff t-shirt the attacker was wearing, and smirked. “Into Russian Roulette, are yah? Well, guess what, she’s loaded!”

Buffy rolled her eyes at her lame Sire and pulled out a stake. “Ever thought of anger management classes?” She quipped before slamming the vampire against a chain fence and efficiently staked him. She dusted her hands and turned to Spike, who was watching her with a mixture of pride and lust in his pale blue eyes.

“Hey! Miss, if you’re looking for one of those rave parties I think you might be late. Chased a bunch a kids outta here last night…”

Buffy and Spike squinted as a flashlight shone at them and a security guard appeared.

“Oh, right. Yeah… darn. My fellow ravers will be so disappointed. It was my turn to bring the Bundt cake.” Buffy quipped. She and Spike stood watching the man warily, they weren’t sure that he had witnessed the dusting.

“You know, if it was my call, I'd let you do whatever you want. It's not like anybody's using this place or nothin'. But they just don't pay me enough to argue with the boss, so...” The security guard shrugged.

“Oh, we’re gone, sorry…” Buffy tugged on Spike’s sleeve and gave the Watchman a big smile.

“Oh, hey! Hold it miss. Take your... whatever this is with you. He bent over and picked up a glowing yellow orb and handed it to Buffy; both vampires looked at the sphere quizzically.

“Glow balls, huh …I swear, I don't get your generation. What is that thing?” he asked curiously.

“We'll let you know as soon as we find out,” Spike muttered. Nodding his thanks to the man, the bleached blond vampire pulled his puzzled Childe away and they disappeared into the darkness.

A/NGulp hope you enjoy!!
Chapter 19 by Schehrezade
A/N - lots of Riley here for a bit of the chapter - sorry but had to resolve the 'issue'

Megan thank you for all the hard work and inspiring!



There was a faint scent of faded perfumes in the air; their delicate musky scent tickled his senses and slowly pulled him from the depths of unconsciousness.

Riley shifted and rolled onto his stomach. The cool rumpled silk sheets felt good against his stubbled cheek. He stretched out on the soft bed where he was ensconced. Slowly he became aware of his surroundings and the events of the last night flooded back. With a crisp certainty, Riley realised he was screwed.

The lanky solider’s eyes slitted open and he cautiously examined his luxurious surroundings. This army training came to the fore as he quickly clocked his environs. His analytical mind processed the exact layout of the room and the possible sources of escape, and also possible weapons.

The room was lit by flickering candles and decorated with theatrical flourishes of High Gothick. The fabrics used were velvet brocades of the darkest purples and the sheets on which he was stretched out upon were a pale dusky rose and rumpled.

The bed was a massive masterpiece of mahogany and gilded wood. At each corner was a heavily carved post that twisted up into the air. About the bed was a massive giltwood antique mirror- the glass was worn and eroded in places and reflected Riley's sprawled form back down at him.

The walls were ancient stone and were unplastered - hung here and there with tapestries depicting erotic scenes that would have made the most seasoned of Madame's blush. Riley squinted at the mullioned window that was set in a recess at the far room. He could see through the think gauzy curtains that fluttered in the faint breeze, his tired eyes could make out the bright Californian sun and blue skies. A gust of wind made the curtains billow and he could see the terracotta roofs that were so familiar to him - he was still in Sunnydale.

Riley froze when he heard a faint feminine giggle. To the casual listener, the sound may have sounded light and sweet. But it filled Riley with a sense of dread- his skin tightened into goosebumps and the hair on the back of his neck stood up on end. Riley gave up any pretence of sleep and rolled onto his back. He edged up the massive bed and leant against the headboard then openly scanned the room again. It was empty, or so he thought.

A trickle of sweat ran down his back at the faint scratching sound Riley heard; he couldn't tell where it was coming from. The sound reminded him of nails being dragged down a blackboard and he gritted his teeth and tried not to twitch at the sound of another muted giggle.

The atmosphere in the ornately decorated room began to grow oppressive and Riley cautiously slid to the edge of the bed and swung his legs over the side.

As his bare feet made contact with the stone flagged floor, Riley winced at the cold that seeped up his legs and his toes curled. His head shot up as he heard the whispers again. He tried not to shiver but there was a menace in their tone, now, that was overt and filled his already frazzled nerves with terror.

"Someone there? Show yourself!" he called out, the timber of his voice belying his absolute terror. Riley's hand shot to the small of his back, and came away empty. 'Shit, no stake,' he thought anxiously. The tall soldier scanned the room again, trying to pinpoint the source of his tormentors and whoever incarcerated him in this velvet lined prison.

Riley stood slowly and winced as the bite on his inner thigh re-opened. Riley felt a trickle of blood seep out and for the first time he cringed at his absolute stupidity. 'What the hell was wrong with me?' The events of the previous night came flooding back and Riley mentally recoiled from his shameful behaviour.

If his Mom, Pops and the Reverend could see him now, they would've been so ashamed of him. Hell he was ashamed of his actions. But now was not the time for recriminations. Now was the time for GETTING THE HELL OUTTA HERE AND RUNNING FOR THE HILLS!

He needed to get back to Buffy. Riley winced mentally from the memory of his dry humping her last night in the cemetery- in front of Spike. Shame filled him yet again - he had been turned on by her changes and instead of supporting her, helping her through the difficult transformation that had been forced upon her, he had instead wanted to have his girl sink her fangs into him.

How far had he fallen into the abyss? The sensual carnality of vampiric bites and the rough sex that accompanied those exquisite nips had blinded him to the sordid reality of it all, as well as the danger. A torpured lust had made him uncaring towards the agonies that Buffy must have suffered through. Instead, his addiction had made him see her changed status as something he could benefit from. Buffy had moved from the elusive girlfriend that he knew so well, to a convenient set of fangs for him to get his next FIX from.

Riley hung his head in shame. "I don't deserve her anymore," he whispered dejectedly, wondering what had become of his life. He had been a rising officer with a good university career ahead of him and now…and now, he was a bite addicted fang hag. Even Riley couldn’t find it in himself to cast the blame on Buffy for his fall from grace; it was all his own doing. But he could track it back to another strong blonde role model, one who had dominated his life.

Maggie Walsh.

In a way, Riley was glad she had died at the hands/stake of her own hubris – if it hadn’t been for her insane and deluded actions he would never have lost his academic career, or his place in the army. Not only had she meddled with mystical forces beyond her comprehension – ones that she had no reason or right to do, Walsh had meddled with his body and mind, pumping him full of drugs and putting in a chip to control him – much like Spike’s.

All of which had nearly lead to him being another victim of FrankenForrest and Adam! Much like she had.

If it hadn’t been for Buffy and the others, he would have either died or become another mindless automaton of Adam’s. Riley still had nightmares over what Forrest had ended up as. And how did he repay Buffy? By going to vamp whorehouses, getting bitten, being fucked and sucked by both male and female vamps – as long as they bit him he hadn’t cared what else they had done to him. He had endangered them all – he now understood why Giles and the others had been so incensed at him – he wanted to go back and make it right!

Riley continued to list all the other ways he had let Buffy down. Faith and the body swap- that was still another huge black mark against him and even now he felt the shame of not recognising her. Buffy may have forgiven him, but he hadn’t forgiven himself. He couldn’t. ‘How could I not have known? Buffy had recognised Giles when he was a demon, but I couldn’t realise that I wasn’t sleeping with the girl I love?’ Riley filled with the familiar anger he had every time he dared to dwell on what had happened that fateful night.

But now he had managed to top all his mistakes with Buffy; he had been too busy getting bitten to go save her from Dracula. Instead, Spike had, a suspicion that had been confirmed by the vampire’s cocky and protective attitude in the cemetery, as well as him escorting Buffy everywhere. Riley had tried to pretend it wasn’t spying, just that he wanted to see how Buffy was doing, from a distance.

Riley had a grudging respect for the peroxide pest, for managing to save Buffy. Despite everything, Spike had proven he cared for Buffy. The demon – the vampire had walked into the proverbial lions den and snatched her from Dracula in an elegant way, one that Riley had to admire. Spike’s heroic actions had disproved everything Riley had been taught; ‘demons have no capacity for love’ – but his saving Buffy had showed the world otherwise.


His epiphany was a hard one to stomach, but in light of his own behaviour, Riley felt that Spike was deserving of the grudging respect he was feeling towards him. Spike cared for and saved Buffy, when on one else had been able to. When he hadn’t been able to bestir himself from a bite-induced stupor to save his girl…

The naïve mortal was no fool, he had seen the way Buffy and Spike interacted with each other, touched each other and even defended each other last night. They were a couple. Riley’s large hands fisted and he hung his head dejectedly. It was over; he and Buffy were no more…once the Iowan accepted this realisation, a sense of relief filled him. Their spluttering relationship was at an end.

He felt a wave of sorrow fill him for the loss of what they’d had, but at the same time realised she had never truly loved him like he had loved her. He was filled with a sense of saddened relief, ‘I guess I was the rebound guy…’. He loved her but now he could accept they weren’t meant to be – maybe they could be friends? He would fight beside her until Buffy didn’t want him too.

Riley raised his head, his chin set defiantly. He would get away and try to apologise to them all for his insane behaviour. If he could make amends in any way, he would! In a sense, the dark realisations the ex Initiative soldier was having had returned him to the man he had been before it had all gone wrong, before Walsh had gotten her claws into him and messed everything up.

He was a good man, a flawed one – but a good man and he was determined to do right by Buffy if he could…

Riley sank back down onto the bed and lay back with a sigh. For the first time in a long while he felt good about himself. Before he could move, a slender feminine hand curled over his shoulder and pulled him further back onto the bed with a throaty purr. Within seconds three extraordinarily beautiful scantily clad women surrounded him. Their hair was done up in elaborate styles and they were clothed in diaphanous silks and satins. Their hands and mouths were all over him; Riley struggled against their attentions but was quickly overpowered.

One of them crawled over his supine body and gazed deeply into his eyes. Before he could move or speak, her thrall overwhelmed him and Riley was lost.

*********

“Sorry about this, luv.” Spike lifted Buffy up into his arms and leapt over the pile of sludge that was blocking the sewer that they were travelling through.

“Having vamp senses suck!” Buffy fanned her hand in front of her nose.

Spike chuckled, “luv, you can stop breathing, you know?”

Buffy rolled her eyes and pouted at her pest of a Sire. Spike caught the pouty lip with his and gave it a good suck. He dropped her onto her feet and patted her on the backside.

“Come on, Watcher wanted us to have a snoop around that warehouse where we found the Dagon Sphere.”

Buffy sighed and nodded. After their meeting with the security guard they had headed over to Giles’s, and after the initial flurry of inviting Buffy in, the sleepy Watcher had ploughed through his books and located the name of the orb. He had looked up at the two vampires with concern and then filled them in on the history of the orbs and their uses.

“So, you think that Doggie thingie was put there cos the latest Bad is in town? It is the right time of the year for it?” Buffy daintily stepped over pile muck and tiptoed around a rat. “Man, I can’t believe how rank it is down here. I’ll never get used to it!” She shuddered.

“Watcher did say it was an old thing going back centuries, said it warded off an ancient primordial evil.” Spike ignored the daintiness of his irrepressible Childe, more concerned about whatever was headed their way.

“Which is not of the good if it’s here on the Hellmouth,” Buffy interrupted. She kicked the floor with her boot.

“I know, pet. But lets have a gander around before we start battening down the hatches. No freaking until we have to.” Spike ran a soothing hand over his Childe’s rigid shoulder.

“Yeah right, cos Giles wasn’t freaked either! Repel that which cannot be named, usually an object of deep worship or great fear,” she mimicked Giles using a really lame British accent.

“Okay now, that really was too Dick Van Dyck for me!” Spike laughed and then paused at a rusty ladder.

“Dick whatsie?” Buffy asked looking utterly perplexed.

“Y’know, the git from Mary Poppins with the crap Brit accent? Oh, buggering hell! It doesn’t matter, we’re here!” Spike pointed up at the manhole cover at the top of the ladder.

“Okay, but why do I think you’re making fun of me?” Buffy eyed him suspiciously and then began to climb the ladder, closely followed by a chortling Spike.

******

“Why is it always crumbly warehouses?” Buffy stepped through the gaping hole in the wall and eyed the twisted remains of the tempered steel door. Spike flanked her and stared at the wreckage with concern.

“This doesn’t bode well…” Spike stepped in front of his Childe protectively and scanned the massive room, searching for the cause of the destruction. Instead he spotted a bruised, brown robed man tied to a chair.

“Whoa!” Buffy pushed past Spike and ran to the man. “It was you who planted the Dagon Sphere, right? I got it, don’t worry. I’m stronger than I look.”

Glory stepped up behind Buffy, unaware that Spike had sauntered up behind her.

“I have had experience with stuff like this before. Best of all... we’re not stupid!” Buffy turned and grabbed Glory by the throat.

“You sure about that last part?” Glory gave Buffy a withering look, and wrenched Buffy's arm from her neck. She backhanded the Slayer with such force that Buffy flew fifty feet across the room and impacted against the cement wall so hard it cracked.

Buffy fell to the floor and looked up at Glory, stunned at her power.

Spike growled and wrapped his arms around the small curly haired woman, who was dressed in red and teetered on high heels. Glory batted him away, much like a cat playing with a mouse. “Really, the two of you mortals, trying to touch me! The impertinence!”

Glory stalked over to Buffy and pulled her up and threw her against a pillar.

“And another thing? I just want you to know... The whole "beat ya to death" thing I'm doing? It's valuable time out of life that I'm never gonna get back.” Buffy tried to fight back but Glory grabbed both her arms and wrenched them downward. Buffy screamed out in pain.

“Wait, I've always wanted to try this. You know that thing with worms. Where if you have one, you rip it in half, you got two worms? Do you think that'll work with you?” Glory sneered at the struggling girl and held her easily, not even breaking a sweat.

Spike rolled to his feet and started towards Buffy, but before he could help, Glory lashed out with her leg and kicked him across the room to land near the bound monk. Spike tried not to whimper but failed, it felt like his ribs had been pulped with that one kick.

Buffy slammed her head into Glory's face and broke free. She tried not to vamp out and show her stronger opponent that there were easy ways to kill her, a well-placed stake, her head being ripped off or her heart being ripped out. Cos she knew that this strong woman would be able to do those without breaking a nail.

“You hit me! What, are you crazy?”

Buffy pressed her attack, hitting and kicking for all she was worth, forcing Glory backwards and away from Spike and the monk, but her blows seemed more to offend Glory than injure her. Buffy could hear Spike whimper and roll to his knees. She needed to buy him some time to free the man, so Buffy intensified her blows. Not talking, trying to save all her energy to keep the mad woman away from her Sire.

“You can't go around hitting people. What, were you born in a barn? Fine. Be that way.”

She easily blocked Buffy's next blow and swung her around hard into the wall. She tried to aim a punch at Buffy’s face, but the turned slayer managed to find the energy to duck at the last instant and Glory's fist punched through the concrete. Glory picked Buffy up by the throat and held her there.

“Hey! I just noticed something. You have super powers. That is so cool. Can you fly?”

She hurled Buffy clear across the room where she landed next to Spike and the now freed but dying monk.

“Think we can freak now?” Buffy commented wryly as she got to her feet and pulled Spike up with her, both of them bruised and bloodied but ready to fight if they had to.

But as one, they both realised that their priority was the monk. Spike reached down and pulled the battered man to his feet.

“Hey! Hands off my holy man!” Glory yelled at Spike.

Buffy rammed into the two men and ran toward the massive window behind them, it was their only way of escape! Spike looked in anguish at Buffy as they crashed through the window, the monk cradled between them and out into the blazing sun.

Glory charged after them, but she was too late. The three of them were out of her reach, for now. She stumbled to a halt when the heel on her shoe broke off. Taking off the shoe the Goddess glowered at it in frustration. The irate woman threw it across the room and stomped her bare foot hard against the concrete floor, and it cracked under the impact.

There was an ominous creaking sound and Glory looked up as the ceiling collapsed, “oh shit!”

*************

Glass shards showered the three figures as they hurtled out of the window and into the unforgiving sun. Cutting into their skin, Buffy and Spike curled around the injured monk and shielded him as best they could. Spike’s nostrils flared as the smell of his Slayer’s blood filled his senses, despite the desperate situation his mouth watered.

As they fell, Spike’s life and unlife flashed before his eyes and realisation dawned on him- it was only when he had met Buffy that he really began to live. She was his everything. Not Dru as he had thought for so many years. Buffy was and now they were going to die before he could tell her…

They fell, the ground rushing up towards them.

Her skin began to tighten and prickle – it felt like serious sunburn. Buffy glanced over the Monk’s head and stared in terror at Spike.

His face was beginning to smoulder; she knew that her skin was doing the same thing.

All her life she had lived in California, the sun was a constant in her youth. Days spent on the beach getting the perfect tan, worrying over white lines and basting herself in factor zero to be the brownest she could be. All that time she had never considered the dangers of the sun; yeah, she had worried over skin cancer. But now, she was literally burning up. The pain began to deepen and she screamed in agony.

Never had she thought the sun would be her enemy.

“Buffy, luv…m’sorry…” Spike whispered. Sadness permeated his expressive blue eyes. He knew that this was it for them. There were no magic windows for them to hide behind and still enjoy the golden light.

They were going to burn up and fade away.

“No! I won’t let this happen,” she growled and vamped out. Seconds before they hit the ground, the three entwined figures disappeared in a puff of smoke.


**********

“Girls, bring him, he is needed.” Dracula’s cultured voice filled the room. The three Brides looked up from Riley and pouted, their lips were smeared with his blood. Riley lay unconscious under them, his naked form littered with bites and bruises from where he had struggled against them.

“But Master, we want to keep him, his blood is delicious!” The tallest of the women reached down and petted Riley’s limp cock, and then dug her talons into it, nearly tearing it off.

Blood spurted onto her hand.

The two other Brides leant down and lapped at Riley’s flaccid and torn member, their throaty purrs filling the room.

Dracula eyed the still form of the tall man with a blank expression, he was used to his women playing with their food and this was nothing new for him.

“The mad one has need of it! Bring him!” He ordered as he turned and left the room.

The three vampires frowned and growled, but as usual they obeyed their Master and Sire.

Eventually, they rose and two of them dragged Riley’s naked and abused form along with them.

********

“They took it away from me! He was mine…the nasty worms took him away from me! It hurts…I hate, hate, hate, hate them all!” Glory rolled on the bed, clutching and pulling at her hair. She kicked her heels against the mattress and wailed angrily.

“They all smell like meat sacks, the stink of them covers this whole sorry world! I want them all dead…ground to dust under my heels.” Glory rolled onto her knees and panted, sweat pouring down her face as her mind weakened.

“All of you out!” She roared at her simpering minions.

“You scabby, miserable, stinking vermin. I need to be alone!” On her command, all her followers scurried out of her suite, bowing and scraping as they ran and shut the door behind them.

Glory slumped onto the bed with a moan. She closed her eyes. “Come back,” she whispered pathetically. “I need…”

“This is what you need, Glorificus.” Dracula pushed open the door and gestured for his Brides to drag in Riley.

“Oh yes, yes, yes! Bring him here to me!” Glory crawled to the edge of her bed. Oh goodie! He’s a big one!” She eyed the comatose man and frowned at the bites that littered his body.

“Ewww! I can’t believe you’d bring me your blood cow! Is this how little any of you respect me?” Glory glared at Dracula. “I really loathe this pathetic dimension!”

“It is all we have for you, at this time. My supreme apologies, Goddess.” Dracula bowed and gestured for his women to leave Riley. The four vampires retreated and left the room.

Glory slapped Riley on the head and curled her fingers into his hair and pulled his head up.

“All asleep, no fair. I like it better when they’re awake and begging for their lives… makes them tastier, the fear and panic is just dreamy.” With that she plunged her fingers into Riley’s skull with a relieved sigh. “Ahhhh… much better!”

A silver light poured out of Riley’s nose, mouth and ears as Glory drained him, it spluttered and faltered.

“No! Not now…” Glory shrieked and her form flickered and then shifted.

In her place a very confused man stood, dressed in her red dress. “What the hell?”

Ben pulled away from Riley and stared in horror at the slumped man. “Oh my god, what have I done?” Ben reached down and pulled Riley up onto the bed. He patted Riley on the cheek, “hey, are you in there?”

Ben strode to the cupboard. As he walked he tore off the dress and threw it onto the couch. Flipping through the clothes he located some of his own and quickly dressed. Turning back to Riley’s limp body, “come on, I’ve got to get you to a hospital…”
Chapter 20 by Schehrezade
I want to say a massive thank you fo Ilpopi, Cordykitten, Vampskiss, icemink and Elystan - for the wonderful reviews! I was worried about all the Riley in the last chapter but you all made me feel so much better - THANK YOU!!

Excerpts taken from No Place from Home.

Many huggles and squishes to Megan for all her help with this chappie!

Single Quotes = Thoughts

*********

There was a resounding splat and then a very loud “EWWWWW!”

Muttered curses and apologies filled the dank and dark sewer.

“And you couldn’t zap us somewhere more sanitary?” a grumbling British voice demanded.

There was a scuffle and Buffy disentangled herself from the groaning monk. “Gross, disgusting and man, what did I put my hand in?” Buffy yelped.

There was a sound of a lighter being lit and Spike stood. His sharp features illuminated by the small glow cast by the flame. He vamped out and his amber eyes scanned Buffy anxiously, checking to see she was really there. The scent of her burning flesh was cloying and he could taste it at the back of his throat.

He was so caught up in his anxious perusal of his Childe he was unaware that she too had vamped out and was checking him for injuries. A fine line appeared between her brows when Buffy spotted him cradling his injured ribs with one hand. His lip was split and the heady aroma of Sire’s blood filled the stinky sewer, overlaying all the other smells.

“You’re hurt!” Buffy hobbled over, her legs protesting at the movement. She could still feel every blow that the skank had landed on her body. All of which were ignored as worry filled her entire being- Spike was hurt and she needed to look after him!

Spike blinked in surprise at the sight of Buffy batting his hand away and burrowing under his shirt. Her hands were gentle as they took inventory of his mashed ribs. He winced away from her soft touch and whimpered. “Ow…”

Buffy glanced up, her violet eyes glimmered with anguish. “We need to get home.”

“Bit o’ mutual wound licking?” Spike curled his tongue and pressed it against the back of his teeth and then cringed form the pain that shot through his head. He stuck his tongue out and tried to check if it was still all there.

Buffy watched as Spike crossed his eyes and tried to look at his tongue. “Uhh, if that’s the latest in your repertoire of sexy Spike poses – kinda have to say not one for the record books!”

“I ‘it my thung!” Spike mumbled around his wounded tongue.

“Owie! Lemme see,” Buffy grabbed the lighter and held it close to the wounded appendage and peered closely, last thing she wanted was for Spike’s very talented tongue to be broken. She spotted the fang marks and winced in sympathy. “Yup, you bit the edge…” before she could tease Spike they were both brought back to the grim reality of the last hour with a moan. The monk that they had rescued was awake and panting in agony.

Spike and Buffy turned to face the supine man who was labouring for breath. Immediately, all thought of their injuries dissipated at the sight of the broken man at their feet. Both of them could sense he was not much longer for this world. Buffy hardened her heart against the wave of sympathy that rushed through her; they needed to know who the blonde superwoman was and why she had been torturing the Holy man. Unaware that Spike’s thoughts were running along the same line as hers, Buffy knelt in the sludgy mess of the sewer, her hands hovered over the monk, unwilling to inflict any more pain on him by touching his injured form.

Spike was less squeamish and pulled the monk up by his soaked robes and leant him against the brick wall.

Spike squatted on his heels and eyed the man, “wot the ruddy hell was that?” he jerked his thumb to the ceiling.

“De Beast,” the man coughed and blood spilled from his waxen lips.

“And?” Buffy prompted.

The man swivelled his head to stare in awe at her, “how…how did you manage to do that?”

“What? The dissappearo trick?”

The monk nodded. “We knew you were the Slayer, but now I wonder…” he gestured weakly at her vamped features.

“Oi! Wanker. She’s still the Slayer, just has some extras now!” Spike refrained from mentioning her vampiric nature, you never knew who was plodding around in the muck down here.

“Sorry,” the monk bowed his head. “The woman you fought, she is searching for the Key…”

“The key to what?” Buffy demanded.

‘M’not thinking it’s for her Chastity belt, cos that one’s no innocent,’ Spike thought maliciously and then mentally slapped himself and focused his attention on the situation in hand. They needed all the info they could. That bitch had been strong and they had to find out what she wanted and exploit the weakness to beat her, preferably to a pulp. Safety of his family came before anything…

“My journey's done, I think…” the monk whispered

“Don't get metaphory on us! We're going to get you help,” Buffy didn’t want to offer false hope but she needed this man to spill the beans and if a teeny white lie helped, then so be it.

“You have to... the Key. You must protect the Key,” he pleaded, his bruised face a picture of agonised torment and fear.

“Fine. We can protect the Key together, okay? Lets just get a good bit of distance from here,” Spike tilted his head and heard the rumble of the collapsed brickwork being shifted. Buffy stiffened when she heard the same commotion; she flicked a look at Spike out of the corner of her eye and noticed him staring fixedly up at the roof.

“Many more die if you don't keep it safe!” the monk’s anxious voice distracted both the vampires from the noise that was still emanating from above their heads. They looked at the man in shock; there was a silence in the sewers that was only broken by the drip of water at his announcement.

“How? What is it?” Buffy demanded, her slim hands curled around the front of the Monk’s robes and pulled him towards her. In her urgency, she ignored the shriek of pain that emanated from his bleeding lips. Spike’s hand wrapped around her left wrist and he gently urged her to let the man go.

“The Key is energy. It's a portal. It opens the door...”

“The Dagon Sphere?” Spike interrupted.

“No, for centuries it had no form at all. My brethren were its only keepers. Then, the abomination found us. We had to hide the Key, gave it form, moulded it flesh... made it human and sent it to you.”

Spike felt a chill settle in his gut, he knew who it was, “The Nibblet.”

“Dawn,” Buffy sighed.

Both of them felt something click in their heads; everything was now clear. The sudden presence of a sister and everyone accepting her. The monks had changed everything and had placed them all in danger.

“She's the Key,” the monk affirmed.

“You put that in my house?” Buffy whispered. Her heart breaking at calling Dawn a thing but she was wrung out and unsure as to what to do or say.

“This lot prolly knew you’d protect her with your life, along with all your mates,” Spike hissed. His skin prickled at the thought of Holy men doing something so careless and playing god with peoples lives. He was evil, but even so, he knew what they did was wrong!

“Everyone’s memories, my mom’s?” Buffy whispered. Despite that they had already agreed to protect Dawn, she couldn’t believe that they had messed with the natural order of everything – it was wrong. If it hadn’t been for Kendra and her whammy, then she and Spike would be the same as the others.

“We built them.” Shame filled the monk, he was not happy with being confronted with the consequences of his and his brother’s actions. At the time they had been desperate, the Beast had been hammering her way into the Sanctuary and it was a last ditch attempt to hide the Key from her. They had spared no thought for those who would be affected.

“Then un-build them! This is my life you're-“ Buffy trailed off when the Monk began to cough even harder, her vampiric hearing could hear his heart struggling to beat, he was fading fast.

“You cannot abandon,” the accent thickened as he began to panic. The Slayer was a demon now, he could see that, but there was still a goodness surrounding her and the monk tried to appeal to her -to state his case.

“We didn't ask for this! I don't even know... what is she?”

Spike reached over and placed a calming hand on her shoulder. Buffy’s thin fingers reached up and she laid her hand over his, drawing strength from his silent support.

“Human... now human. And helpless. Please... she's an innocent in this. She needs you.” The monk pleaded.

“How can we protect her from that bitch?” Spike snarled.

“I trust in God that you will find a way to save the world. If the Beast manages to find your sister, the world will be plunged into hell. We had no choice; we needed to send her to the strongest being who could protect her.”

“Does she know that she is not my sister?” Buffy demanded, wondering if the animosity that Dawn was directing towards her was something more than sibling rivalry.

“She doesn't know,” the monk struggled out as he took one last shaky breath, exhaled and then slumped sideways.

“He’s dead, pet.” Spike pulled Buffy away from the monk and pulled her into his arms. He could sense her fear, anger and worry and tried to calm her.

“Spike, what do we do?” Buffy looked up at him, the violet fading from her eyes and her fangs receding as worry filled her.

“We call the Watcher so he can get the coppers to pick up him- s’not right for a religious type to kark it in a sewer and then be left for the rats- then we go hope and get ourselves cleaned up…”

“And then Scoobie meeting?” Buffy interjected.

“Yeah, rally the troops and all that rot – luv, don’t worry, we’ll manage.” He kissed her forehead, deftly avoiding the burned patches, and pulled her away from the dead monk.

*****

“Bugger, that bint kicked me right good!” Spike hissed as Buffy carefully wrapped his torso and checked that the strap holding his ribs in place was tight enough.

“I know, honey.” Buffy ran her fingers through his damp hair; her fingers tugged his curls gently. Once they had called Giles and filled him in on what had happened, the two had made their way back to their home, each supporting the other.

Spike had run a hot bath and then stripped Buffy before carefully taking inventory of each cut and bruise on her body, silently vowing that the evil bitch that had inflicted them would pay in kind. He had then stripped and joined her in the large bath with a groan. The two of them soaked away their aches and pains. Buffy had examined her burnt hands with a morbid interest; the sun had damaged her skin badly, she knew now that, despite their fancy windows here at home, the sun was her enemy on a very basic level. Twisting in the tub, she had then ran her fingers gently over all the damaged areas of Spike, tears falling from her eyes as she did.

The doorbell chimed. Buffy looked at Spike as he lay back with a sigh on their bed, and rose. “Rest. I’ll go see who it is.” She wrapped her robe around herself and padded slowly down the stairs into the gym.

Buffy carefully positioned herself and pulled open the door, managing to avoid the weak rays of the setting sun.

“Oh, you look crispy fried!” Anya clattered and thrust a brown bag into Buffy’s hands.

“What’s this?” Buffy pulled open the sack and peered in. “Oh! Thank you.” She scrunched the top shut on the bags of blood.

“I made this for you and Spike, G…Giles said you were hurt by the sun.” Tara handed the glass pot filled with some kind of cream to Buffy.

“Thank you, Tara.” Buffy leant over and brushed a kiss on Tara’s soft cheek.

“Are you alright, my dear?” Giles stepped in and shut the door behind him, his eyes scanned Buffy’s burned and cut face and filled with even more worry.

“She looks like she was fried on a griddle, Rupert!” Anya interrupted.

“Is Spike o…okay?” Tara asked quietly.

“Been better, Glinda,” Spike yelled from the loft apartment. “Get yourselves up ‘ere so we can get talkin’,” Spike instructed.

“Sorry, he’s kinda grouchy and ouchie,” Buffy apologised as she gestured for the others to precede her.

******

“So, Dawn isn’t real?” Anya frowned and then turned to Buffy for confirmation.

“Yup, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t think she is my sister. We have to make sure she doesn’t find out, cos I don’t want her to flip out and do something dumb,” Buffy added.

“She is the Key that this woman is looking for?” Giles glanced out of the window at the Magic Box; he wished he had his books here so he could start researching this latest threat to them.

“Yeah mate, she is,” Spike drawled as Buffy started putting on the soothing cream Tara had made for them. She gingerly dabbed it onto the end of his nose and smoothed it. He shivered as Buffy’s cool breath caressed the back of his neck as she anointed the charred skin there with the lavender infused cream.

“And you already knew Dawn wasn’t real?” Giles demanded, nearly grinding his glasses to a powder as he polished them furiously. He glared at Spike and then looked reproachfully at Buffy. There had been a time when he would have been privy to her secrets before anyone.

“She is REAL!” Buffy answered angrily.

“Well no, she isn’t. But I understand, Buffy.” Giles primly placed his specs on his nose and looked over them; his actions reminded Spike of a Spinster maiden aunt.

“Lay off, Rupes,” Spike warned. “We only realised summthin’ was up when we got back to Sunnyhell,” he added tiredly.

“But I can remember her having a crush on Xand…” Anya glanced apologetically at Buffy at mentioning his name.

“So do I, and much more. This is really amazing. These Monks had an incredible power to be able to meddle with everyone’s memories so completely.” Giles reached over and picked up the now empty jar and sniffed it.

“So what do we do now?” Tara asked worriedly.

“I would recommend that Dawn and your mother are removed from Sunnydale immediately. We need to protect them both and the further away they are, the safer they will be. Also, we need to find out who or what this new player in town is, and work towards either killing her or at the very least, neutralising her.” Giles pulled out a notebook and began to scribble in it.

“Giles?” Buffy’s lower lip wobbled and tears filled her eyes. “I can’t send them away, it wouldn’t be safe. Who would protect them?”

“Buffy, time is of the essence here. We need to ensure that whatever is planned by this woman is not allowed to come to fruition!” Giles absently commented, not even bothering to look up at his distressed charge as he began to write down a list of books to start reading.

“Ruddy hell, Rupes, you’re starting to piss me off! Ship off the Nib and Mum where? Who would protect them, and then wot? We stay behind leaving my Childe’s family vunerable and defenceless? How many years did you train for this post? That’s you’re grand plan? Dump the defenceless and get on with fighting an opponent who basically creamed the arses of the two strongest fighters of the group! Cos from where I’m sitting, it sounds like you could barely give a toss for the little one.” Spike brushed off Buffy’s calming hands and began to pace back and forth. All three women watched him stalking around the room, muttering to himself.

“I say!” Giles leapt to his feet. “I’ll have you know that I do care about Buffy’s family and their safety.” He lunged for Spike only to be stopped by Tara reaching over and placing a calming hand on Giles’s wrist. Spike stared at Giles waiting to see if the Watcher was going to have another go at him, the vampire was hurt and itching for a fight. But Tara spoke before either man could start fighting, she realised tempers were high and wanted to calm everyone down before Giles was paste!

“Um, what if we placed a geas on Dawn so that this woman couldn’t sense her?” Tara hesitantly offered.

Buffy’s head snapped around and her eyes filled with hope, “could you do that, Tara?”

Tara ducked her head, suddenly aware that she was the centre of everyone’s attention.“I can try, there may also be something in the books at the shop about setting up an early warning system. I could look for you?”

Anya nodded, “I can help there, maybe we could ask for Sanctuary with Hoffie, he might help?”

Giles stared at Anya appalled. “I don’t think that handing over the Key to the leader of the Vengeance demon sect is a good idea!” he exclaimed angrily.

“Well, when you put it that way, no. But we could get either Dawn or Joyce or even Buffy to call for Justice, Hoffie couldn’t say no if we worded the request carefully…” Anya faltered under the steely gaze of the annoyed Watcher. “Maybe not, but hey I can help with searching for spells.”

“I…I’m not as strong as Willow with the magicks, but I’ll do my best,” Tara added.

Spike turned on his heel, his fathomless azure eyes softening as he gazed at Tara and Anya who, despite their own worries, had rallied to help them in their desperate hour of need. He sauntered over and fluidly knelt before the two women, taking their hands in his and squeezing gently. “Thank you, ladies.” With that he adopted these two amazingly strong women into his family. They were his, and no one could say otherwise.

“The wards and the geas are all good temporary measures, but we need more information.” Giles interrupted the moment between the vampire and the two women. He looked over at Buffy and raised a questioning eyebrow at the soft smile that lingered on her lips as she watched the tableau of her Sire and friends.

“I know, but where from?” Buffy pulled her attention back to Giles and began to worry her lower lip with her teeth.

“I hesitate to mention them, but the Council do have resources that could be used for our benefit here.” Giles leant forward earnestly; he knew that his suggestion would not be popular. Buffy loathed the Council with a vehemence that he didn’t dispute. Travers and his minions had never treated her well or with the respect she was due.

Before Buffy could reply, Anya’s derisive voice cut across the conversation.

“Oh yes, Rupert. Call the Council. And don’t forget to mention that Buffy is a vampire- I’m sure they’ll falling over themselves to help. Oh wait, no. They’ll be falling over themselves to stake or behead her! Really, for such a wise man you can be very silly…” She rolled her eyes and then looked at Spike’s thunderous expression. “Uh oh!”

Spike growled and Buffy braced herself for the explosion and then raised her eyebrows in surprise at Spike when he shook his head, rose and then sat down next to her with a sigh.

“Tosser,” he muttered and pulled Buffy onto his lap with a contented rumble.

“Ah right, sorry, possibly not the most sensible of suggestions.” Giles turned to Buffy and smiled apologetically. “Sorry, my dear. It’s just sometimes I forget that you are a vampire.”

Buffy nodded, her heart filled with relief. Giles saying that made her realise that he had accepted the changes wrought by Dracula, and this filled her with happiness.

“I think for now we must do all the things we have discussed. I will research and possibly you and Spike could question Willy- he may have heard of this woman?” Giles closed the notebook and glanced around at the others. They all nodded in agreement. “Maybe we should order some food and retire to the Magic Box? Buffy? Spike? Are you well enough to accompany us or do you need some time to heal and rest?”

Before either vampire could answer, they stiffened and as one, rose and ran to the window. Something tugged at them, it was familiar to Spike - family was close by. And was angry. Buffy could sense something was nearby, but as a new vampire, she had no idea what was happening to her. They reached the window at the same time and looked out.

“Bollocks!”

“Oh no!” Buffy exclaimed at the same time Spike swore.

“What’s he doin here?” Spike turned to face Giles. “Please tell me you didn’t call him?” And as the blond vampire uttered the question, he smacked himself on the forehead. “Sod it…I’m the arse who called the bastard.”

“Spike?” Buffy turned to her Sire and smacked him on the back of his head.

“What’s going on?” Anya ran to the window and peered out. “Oh, he hasn’t changed much, has he? Still tall and glowery…”

“Oh please don’t tell me it’s him!” Giles rolled his eyes and before he could get up, there was the sound of an angry fist hammering on the door downstairs.

“How did he know where to come?” Buffy hissed. This was a confrontation she wasn’t looking forward to.

“He probably scented us…” Spike stalked off down the stairs, closely followed by the others.

“This should be fun!” Anya whispered to Tara as they caught up with Spike.

“Who is it?” Tara whispered back.

Spike swung the door open with a flourish. “Peaches! Good to see you!” Before he could start taunting Angel, the taller vampire punched Spike on the nose with a growl.

“What is going on here?” Angel growled as he launched himself at Spike with a howl that would have impressed a Viking berserker - if they had still existed.

“That’s Angel, Buffy’s ex,” Anya explained to Tara as they both watched the two vampires wrestle on the floor.

“Oh…” Tara pulled Anya back as Angel was flung at their feet.

“Spike!” Buffy and Giles shouted in unison.

“Buffy!” Angel scrambled to his feet and stared at her in horror. “You smell funny!”

Buffy folded her arms across her chest and pouted at Spike, “You said the funky sewer smell was gone!”

Spike rolled to his knees and knelt; with one hand he blotted the blood off his lips with a grimace, “don’t think that’s what Peaches means, luv.”

Angel whirled, his leather coat flaring dramatically around and kicked Spike in the balls with an incensed howl. “What did you do to her?”

Spike’s eyes rolled up in their sockets and he collapsed with a whimper, his hand cupping his injured groin and he curled up into the foetal position.

“Spike!” Buffy flew across the gym, pausing briefly to kick Angel in the same place that he had just kicked her Sire. She didn’t hold back on using her combined Slayer and vampire strength. She knelt down next to Spike’s shuddering form. “Are you okay, Sweetie? Lemme see…”

“M’not dropping trou in front of the brooding git- he might think it’s a come on!” Spike gritted out through his clenched teeth.

“Ouch!” Anya exclaimed as she stared down at Angel. “Bet that hurt?”

Angel stared up at the ex demoness through watering eyes. It felt like Buffy had kicked his balls up into his stomach. He gingerly checked to make sure that they were still in the right place.

“There you are!” Wesley panted as he stepped into the gym, followed closely by a tall dark skinned man and, to Buffy’s surprise, Cordelia.

“Man, I’ve never seen you run so fast. Where’s the fire?” Gunn drawled.

“Why are you on the floor? And is that Spike?” Cordy demanded.

“Buffy’s a vampire!” Angel wheezed.

“Ah.” Wesley stared at Buffy in surprise

“Oh, which one is Buffy?” Gunn asked

“Whoa! So much for that vision thing!” Cordelia shrieked.

Buffy- unable to resist- vamped out as she pulled Spike into her arms and petted his forehead. Looking up she flashed some fang and waved at the three stunned humans. “Hi guys!”

“She’s pretty!” Wesley exclaimed.

“She needs to be dusted,” Angel snarled and pulled a stake from his pocket, ignoring the agony in his crotch as he lurched towards his errant Grandchilde and Buffy with a stake held firmly in his large hand. In his blind rush he ignored the chorus of ‘no’s’ directed at him.

Dun dun dun cliffhanger anyone LOL!
Chapter 21 by Schehrezade
Chapter 21



Italics = Thoughts

Megan thank you for betaing this so quickly!! You are a STAR!!

Angel was felled with one blow to his head.

Everyone froze.

There was complete silence.

Which was punctuated with a gasp of pain from Buffy.

And then an angry voice interrupted the pregnant pause.

"Get the HELL away from my daughter!"

"Whoa!" Cordy's jaw dropped open in shock at the sight of Buffy's Mom standing over Angel's slumped form swinging her purse.

"Buffy?" Spike gasped in horror at the sight of Angel's stake that was stuck in her shoulder. Blood was pouring out of his Childe. The sweet intoxicating scent filled the room.

Buffy slumped back against Spike's chest. As Angel had charged towards them she had positioned herself to protect his heart thinking that the brunette vampire had been aiming for Spike. To her shock she had heard his exclamation and realised he wanted to dust her.

His angry words echoed through her head 'she needs to be dusted!' The pain that ricocheted through her body was secondary to the hurt in her heart. Angel wanted her dead, no questions, no pausing…nothing. Just wanted her dusted. For what? She was stunned and hurt by his callous actions. 'So much for him loving me for ever, no matter what, even if I where covered in slime and had antlers.Guess fangs don't count.'

Spike realised that Buffy was in shock, the injuries she had sustained earlier fighting the frizzy haired psycho were still fresh and now she had a stake in her body. Ignoring everyone in the room he carefully turned Buffy in his arms and reached for the stake.

"WAIT!"

Spike froze at the sound of Giles's barked order.

"We need to get her comfortable before you try to remove the stake." Giles pushed past Anya and Tara and knelt down beside Buffy and Spike's huddled forms.

"Is she okay?" Joyce stepped over Angel's body and stared in shock at the sight of the blood pouring from her baby's body. Her hand shot to her mouth as her face paled in fright.

"Oh Buffy, what has he done to you?"

"Mom...mommy…it hurts." with that Buffy passed out, unable to cope with the pain that was pulsing through her entire frame.

"Well." Wesley shifted uncomfortably. The tall teen that had trailed in after Buffy's mother was giving him the evil eye. He blinked and his memories adjusted, then a small smile wavered across his lips, he finally had a name for the angry face glaring at him. Dawn Summers, Buffy's younger sister. He hadn't had much to do with his Slayer's younger sibling in the past and she was an unknown entity to him.

"Well what? You sail into town with him and try to kill my sister?" Dawn kicked Wesley in the ankle and turned in a huff to stare down at Spike and Buffy. "Mommy? Can I help?"

Wesley muffled a curse and hopped away from the angry teen with a yelp. He was bursting to ask questions. From the moment Angel had received the call from Spike a few days ago the vampire had been in a bad mood and then suddenly this afternoon Angel had announced that he was going to Sunnydale to find out what Spike was up to. Wesley had been surprised it had taken so long - he had expected Angel to rush off immediately- but they had all been distracted by various cases in LA. It had only been a few days since they had moved to the Hotel and after ensuring that Bethany, the telepathic girl was safely out of Lilah's clutches, Angel had made his announcement.Cordelia had greeted Angel's decision with a series of voluble shrieks and then a general denouncement of Buffy and her relationship with the souled vampire. Which had fallen on deaf ears, as usual. Wesley had resigned himself to a road trip and had called Gunn for support.

Before any of them could say 'Brooding One', they were halfway to Sunnydale. Angel was even more taciturn than usual and refused to be drawn into a conversation of any type. Their arrival had been a flurry of events with Angel searching for Buffy. Eventually leading to this rather smart gym and him lying unconscious at their feet after discovering that Buffy was without a pulse and sporting some rather fetching fangs

Joyce glanced up with a wan smile on her face, "Dawnie, could you get a towel and spread it over the bed so we can move Buffy upstairs?"

Dawn nodded and skipped up the stairs to the loft apartment, trailed by Anya.

"He really is a broody idiot!"

All the remaining bystanders heard Anya's voice as she clattered up the stairs, offering her opinions on various ways to get vengeance on Angel. "We could castrate him, it's not like he uses it that much, what with the curse."

Gunn flinched his hands involuntarily covering his groin, "who the hell was that and can I add she is damn scary!"

Cordy nodded in agreement and then squatted down next to Angel and turned him onto his back. Blood seeped from a cut in his hairline where Joyce's purse had hit him. "We need to dress this cut!"

"I vote he waits until the vampire with a gushing wound is tended too," Spike growled as he took a cloth from Tara and began to staunch the crimson flow of blood.

"Should we pull it out now?" He asked Joyce and Giles who were busy unpacking a first aid kit that Tara had found on a shelf.

"No lets get her comfortable upstairs.

"We can't leave Angel like this!" Cordy interjected angrily.

Spike glanced over at the slumped form of his Grandsire, his blue eyes hard and uncompromising. "No, your right!"

"Thank you," Cordelia replied. Relief coloured her voice.

"Rupes, can you toss him out with the rubbish?" Spike snarked.

"Hey!" Gunn and Cordelia's voice echoed in unison.

Before Spike or any of the others could say anything Dawn called down the stairwell, informing them the bed was ready and that Anya was warming some blood as well.

"Spike, can you manage or shall I carry her?" Giles had decided to put aside any lingering worries he had for Spike's loyalty. The worry and anguish that was etched across the British vampire's face told him all he needed to know. Buffy was safe with him. It was a hard realisation to swallow but the Watcher would do so, if it meant Buffy's happiness.

A sense of relief flooded him as he finally accepted Buffy's new life and her choice of a partner in that life. It would not be easy, but he would be there for her and stand next to his Slayer through thick and thin. He just hoped Spike wouldn't drive him to drink or make his hair thin anymore than it had already due to the stress and strain of being an active Slayer's Watcher. He paused for a moment, wondering if Buffy could be considered that anymore, and what ramifications her new status would have in relation to the council.

Spike, unbeknownst to Giles, had been watching him as he had finally accepted Buffy's new situation. Spike was no fool, he realised from the moment they had returned to Sunnydale that Giles had reservations. But now there was a loose limbness to the usually stuffy Watcher, what ever he had been pondering had resulted in acceptance.

Taking an unnecessary deep breath, which his shattered ribs protested against with a jolt of pain, Spike offered an olive branch to his Childe's father figure.

"Bit bashed up here, could you do the honours?" Spike refrained from adding that his balls hurt like the blazes and the strain of carrying Buffy would probably result in him falling to his knees and sobbing like a baby. He did not want to show that sort of weakness in front of any of them - especially Peaches's groupies.

"Right then, Joyce if I may?" Giles gently pushed the older woman's hands away from Buffy's shoulder.

"Thank you, Rupert." Joyce straightened and watched as Giles carefully cradled Buffy against his chest and stood up. He ignored the blood that stained his suit and walked slowly to the stairs. Joyce reached down and helped Spike up, slipping his arm over her shoulder and helped him limp after Giles and Buffy. Spike gritted his teeth as each step sent a fiery bolt of agony from his groin to his stomach.

Tara glanced shyly at Gunn and Cordelia, who were pulling Angel to his feet. The tall vampire's head lolled, as he remained blissfully unconscious. "I think it'd be okay to put him on Spike and Buffy's sofa," she gave a small grin at the look of surprise on the brunette woman's face. "Follow me?"

"They live together?" Cordelia hissed as she tightened her hold on Angel.

"Allow me?" Wesley stepped forward and took over the Angel hefting duties.

"Y…yeah," Tara slipped away up the stairs before Cordelia could cross-examine her. Willow had told her all about the brunette ex Sunnydale High alumnus and Tara wasn't ready for the grilling that was bound to happen. She decided there was probably safety in numbers. She was hoping that Giles or one of the others would take over and she could look after Buffy and Spike.

******

"So Xander went nuts and Willow tried to skin him alive?" Cordelia sank back in her seat and stared at Giles in total shock. "And Willow is gay?" Her voice rose to a high pitch.

"Figures she would focus on the sexual orientation angle and not the sewing of the guy's mouth shut and then trying to kill him." Gunn whispered to the shell-shocked figure of Wesley.

"Dracula turned Buffy and Spike saved her?" Angel sat up and then sank back down with a groan when the room span. He felt ill at the thought that his errant Grandchilde had been the one to rescue his girl.

"Still hurts?" Anya asked from her perch on the windowsill.Angel groaned and then whispered an affirmative.

"Good. I hope your head explodes!" Anya huffed. She eyed the bruise that was flowering out from under the gaze padding Cordelia had stuck on Angel's head. "Must say purple is a break from the whole black on black look you're cultivating!"

"Spike wears black." Angel mumbled defensively.

"Yeah but he wears it with panache and not as if it were a badge of mourning." Anya retorted.

"Not one of her favourite people right now, are you, Angel," Gunn interjected with a smirk.

"Hardly. He hurt Spike's testicles. Buffy will not appreciate that! And then you tried to kill my friend! Not a very nice thing to do. Bet it's a big black mark on the road to redemption." Anya grumbled and gave him her patented 'if I were still a vengeance demon you should be quaking in your boots' look.

"She hurt mine!" Angel gestured to the strategically placed icepack.Anya opened her mouth to retort and Tara interrupted the verbal one up manship battle, which Anya seemed to be currently winning.

"Anya could you help me in the kitchen?" Tara pulled her friend away before she said or did something else. The two women retreated to make sandwiches for the hungry masses.

"Dracula is real?" Gunn asked the now silent room.

Giles nodded, "yes, unfortunately he is and he has made his presence very well known here in Sunnydale."

"Dracula is real?" Gunn repeated.

"Yes he is!" Giles answered again with a hint of exasperation in his tired voice.

"Right…so...he turned Buffy and now she's an ensouled vampire." Wesley tried to steer the conversation back to a more essential topic.

"Yes, it appears the Powers stepped in to help and saved her from being a killer." Giles responded.


*******

"You okay Spike?" Joyce watched as Spike very carefully lowered Buffy onto their bed. She caught hold of Dawn by the waistband of her jeans and stopped her from snooping through the Armoire that contained some of Buffy's clothes. Joyce knew from all the complaints over the last few days that Dawn was missing having Buffy's clothes at home for her to raid and supplement her wardrobe. She had promised the teen to go shopping at the Mall on the weekend as a treat, and hopefully to stop the whining. She loved her youngest but sometimes the teen hormones were exhausting.

Buffy's eyes fluttered open and stared up into the worried blue gaze of her sire and lover, who was leaning over her supine body and gently stroking her hair. "Ow?" She looked down at the still present stake embedded in her should courtesy of her ex and nearly retched at the sight. A few more inches lower and she would've been staked through the heart.

Yeah, maybe she did have the neato reappearing trick but she sooo didn't want to try it out cos she had been staked!

"We need to get that out, luv." Spike gently rubbed her sides, trying to distract her from the sucking chest wound look she had going on.

Buffy nodded, "’kay."

There was a rap on the door and Giles stuck his head through. "I've got everyone sorted in here, is there anything I can do?"

Spike glanced at Joyce and Dawn, and then at Giles.

"Ah, Dawn, maybe you and your mother could assist in organising some dressings for Buffy and some blood to help her heal up?"

Spike nodded his thanks and then turned to Buffy without a word. When the room had cleared he began to tear her top off and then a rage filled him. The sight of her pale skin surrounding the stake was almost too much, but then the seeping blood that trailed down her side and soaked into the towel pushed him over the top. He lost control on his hair-trigger temper and turn with a howl to the door, intent on destroying Angel.

A slender hand lay over his wrist and a hushed whisper of four words word stalled him in his vengeful tracks.

"Don't, I need you."

*******

Angel lay on the massive couch and watched as Joyce and Dawn re-entered the bedroom carrying a first aid box and several mugs of blood for Buffy. Angel wondered if anyone was going to offer him some blood and then decided to wait, deciding not to risk asking as the looks he was getting from Anya suggested she might put something disgusting in it!

He had heard the quiet exchange over the other’s voices and then the whimper of pain as Spike pulled out the wooden stake Angel had rammed into Buffy's body. The whispered words of comfort had filled him with a faint jealously, and then his concentration was pulled away from Spike and Buffy. Instead he had suffered a verbal attack like no other from the odd woman that Xander had been dating.

Xander.

If it had been possible, steam would've poured from his ears after Giles had revealed that it had been Buffy's so called best friend- and his biggest detractor -who had fed her to Dracula. 'And all because he wanted to be a vamp? Guess that explains a lot.'

Angel shook his head and then regretted it when it began to ache. He wondered what the hell Mrs Summers had in her purse- maybe some bricks from the feel of it.

He was pulled from his musings by Giles's voice. Angel's head snapped up and his jaw dropped.

"She has a soul?"

"Well yes, did you honestly think I would've allowed Buffy to continue to exist if she hadn't?" Giles peered over his glasses in irritation at Angel before dismissing him and turning to Wesley.

Relief flooded Angel-she had a soul. Which meant that he didn't need to dust her.

"So she is en-souled, this is a relief- and no clauses, I imagine," Wesley gestured to the closed doors of the bedroom. Giles nodded, his eyes never leaving Angel's.

"Well, that's is reassuring’. Wesley reached for his cup of tea and took a restorative drink.

Cordelia huffed and folded her arms; "I can't believe you guys are all with the accepting of Spike here. Last time we saw him, Spike tortured Angel and nearly killed him."

Angel's brown eyes swung and pinned Cordelia with a warning gaze. "Cordy, not now," he warned.

"We know. However, circumstances have changed since then," Giles responded curtly.

"Yeah, so?" Cordelia retorted. She stopped herself from saying that Angel was more equipped to deal with Buffy the souled vampire - she sooo didn't want to have the blonde coming back to LA. That was so not a possibility.

"We have more important problems to focus on," Giles replied calmly.

"Like?" Cordelia challenged when she realised that Angel was staying silent on the whole subject of Spike. She wondered what the hell was going on with him; instead of arguing against Spike and Buffy, he had stayed surprisingly quiet. Well, since the initial 'grrr argh' attack.

"Dracula for one, Cordy," Gunn interrupted the blossoming argument, returning to the subject to the villain of the hour.

"Is that where Spike and Buffy sustained their injuries? Fighting Dracula?" Wesley asked his voice filled with Watcherly interest.

Giles shook his head and before he could reply, Tara surprisingly spoke.

"No, it was someone else that nearly killed them both." Tara ignored the others and carried on making sandwiches.

Angel twitched in surprise. He was amazed at the quantity of injuries that both Spike and Buffy had sustained- before he had attacked. Whatever it was they had fought, it must have been strong. Both of them were powerful and canny fighters, and despite how he felt about Spike, one thing he had to give his Grandchilde - he was an un-paralleled scrapper who rarely lost a battle or allowed himself to be injured so badly. Angel also suspected that they had both been exposed to sunlight for a long period, if their skin was anything to go by.

"What did that to them?"

Giles sighed tiredly, as did Tara.

"We don't know much, all that Buffy and Spike discovered from that dead monk was that it was called de Beast" Anya responded for the other two.

"No other name?" Gunn demanded. "What did it look like, this demon?"

"About 5ft nothing in heels, skanky red dress and long blonde hair," Anya sighed. "But hits like a pile driver,” she added helpfully.

"Human?" Wesley raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"No, it was supernatural, but we have no idea what she was, I haven't had a chance to research as of yet." Giles was itching to get to his books and start sifting through them.

"Maybe I could assist as well?" Wesley offered.

"Thank you. I imagine you have several avenues to investigate in LA that are not open to us here." Giles was secretly relieved that he hadn't had to ask his former colleague for help.

"Yes, have you considered approaching the Council to see if they have anything on this latest threat?" Wesley asked curiously, his own contact to their former employers was limited to the occasional strained conversation with his supremely disappointed father and nothing more.

Giles shook his head.

"We thought that mightn’t be the best idea, seeing that they would send over some large and well-muscled thugs to kill Buffy if they found out what she has been turned into." Anya snorted and rolled her eyes. That Wesley guy was kinda dumb, the ex demoness pondered as she began to load the dining table with all the food she and Tara had prepared.

"Turned into?" Buffy's tired voice made everyone jump.

Angel swivelled his body slowly to face the door from which Buffy's voice had emanated. She and Spike stood side-by-side, leaning against each other. Angel took in the sling that her arm rested in so has to help avoid straining the damage inflicted on her body, and he lowered his eyes guiltily. He started at the soft touch of Cordelia's hand on his knee and he looked up at her, surprised with the understanding smile the brunette directed at him.

Angel turned back at the united front that Spike and Buffy were displaying towards him. They stood alongside each other; Buffy's unencumbered hand was wrapped around Spike's waist and tucked into the waistband of the loose fitting sweats he had put on. Joyce and Dawn flanked them and both were glaring at Angel in disapproval.

Angel felt the burden of their angry stares and also the burden of guilt for hurting Buffy and surprisingly, Spike.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

Spike snarled angrily.

"Don't even start, Peaches!" He growled and pulled Buffy against his side protectively. He had felt her tense when the Poof had spoken and every cell in his body screamed at him to protect her. He had failed once already tonight and his precious Childe had been nearly staked. Not again, he vowed.

Not again.

And no way was he going to tolerate the great git brooding over it - it made his fangs ache even thinking about the pity me session Angel was gearing up too.

Dawn gave Angel her patented hairy eyeball glare and flounced past him and sat down on the arm of Giles's chair. Joyce ignored Angel and sat down at the dining table - acutely aware of all the history between the three vampires and unwilling to add to it.

Buffy and Spike sat down slowly in an over large armchair, each moving awkwardly from their still healing injuries.

"Buffy?" Angel muttered under his non-existent breath.

Buffy reluctantly looked over at her ex and a pang of sorrow filled her gut at the morose sight that greeted her. Angel was staring at her with sorrowful eyes and his large frame was hunched over as if expecting an attack at any moment. She was hurt and angry at his reaction; even when he had been Angelus she had held back slightly - hoping that something may have been done to save him. Never had she attacked first and asked questions later, like he had - Buffy felt betrayed by Angel's actions and was amazed at the depths of antipathy she felt towards her 'first love'.

Things had changed. She had been through the 'wringer' recently and had been forced to grown up very quickly. The realisation that nothing in this or the supernatural world was black and white had been a tough lesson to learn - but she had.

Buffy sighed and peeked up at Spike through her lashes, only to find him watching her with concern colouring his expressive eyes. She raised her eyebrows in question, aware that he had probably picked up on most of what she was thinking. Which, On top of that what they had discussed briefly in the bedroom when they had been alone all lead to her having to accept Angel's apology.

Spike narrowed his eyes for a split second, then sighed and rested his head against her uninjured shoulder.

Buffy and Spike were so absorbed in each other that they were unaware of being watched by the others. Their silent exchange was a revelation to their observers. The newcomers were filled with surprise, those more used to the two vampires regarded them fondly, and one was filled with an unwarranted jealousy.

Buffy nudged Spike and he grumbled under his breath.

"Okay, stop nagging woman!" Spike huffed playfully at Buffy. He was not eager to ask what he was about to of his Grandsire for several reasons - two of which were now looking at him as if he was insane, and, the other reasons were best left between him and his Grandsire. Peaches knew what they were and there was no use rehashing well-trodden ground again - not now, anyway.

"Spike, go on." Buffy pinched him on the thigh.

There was no way she was asking.

"Peaches, we need you to do us a favour." Spike jerked his thumb at Joyce and Dawn. "We need you to take Mum and the Nibblet back to LA with you." Spike closed his eyes and waited for the explosions- and was left unsurprised.

"No!" Dawn yelped. "I'm not going anywhere!"

Angel blinked in surprise. Of all things he imagined, he had never expected this. He looked from Buffy to Spike and saw the determination on both their faces. In that instant he realised that they were entrusting him with the most precious of burdens, and he determined that he wouldn't fail them- again!

Buffy remained silent throughout the entire exchange. She knew that when Giles had first suggested this, she had been the most vociferous of opponents. But in the quiet moments when Joyce and Dawn had left them- while Spike tended to her injuries- they had talked and come to a decision. One that Spike was revealing now to their surprised friends and allies; they needed to be safe away from Sunnydale so that she and the others could focus on destroying Dracula and the latest Big Evilina. She knew that Dawn would raise hell over going, and also mom. Buffy looked over her unusually silent mother and a small crease of confusion appeared between her brows.

Joyce watched as her eldest daughter sat there in the midst of Dawn’s arguing with Giles and Anya, who both supported this idea of them fleeing the town. She glanced over at the brunette vampire who was still frozen in place in wonderment and looking at both Spike and Buffy with a mixture of confusion and acceptance. The eldest Summers had never warmed to the vampire, even before she had known of Angel's true vampiric nature. Joyce had still felt a small amount of guilt over encouraging Angel to leave Sunnydale, but in the end she knew it had been the right thing to do. It had been for the best.

Spike and Buffy were more suited for each other. Anyone could see that.

Joyce took a deep breath and then clapped her hands to disrupt all the conversations. Once their attention was directed to her, the fair-haired woman ended all the discussions with one sentence.

"We are going to LA.”
Chapter 22 by Schehrezade
Chapter 22

Interludes with a Broody Vampire

Thank you to my amazing Beta Megan!!!

Italics = thoughts

Reviews would be nice schehrezade_1@hotmail.com

Buffy and Angel

The gym was cast in darkness. Buffy could hear Spike hovering at the top of the stairs. She had to roll her eyes at insecuro-guy – as if she’d run off with Angel! Not after everything they had been through in the last few weeks…

Angel leaned against the edge of the boxing ring, his left hand still clutching the ice pack to his crotch. Buffy suppressed a smirk that, if she had allowed it to escape, Angel would have been struck by the similarity of it with his pain in the ass GrandChilde’s. ‘He sooo deserved that kick and more!’

Angel watched Buffy as she sat down on a bench. She moved slowly; her injuries were still healing and the burns to her face and hand were now a faint pink, the skin slightly puckered.

“I’m sorry…” Angel’s voice broke the uncomfortable silence.

“For what? Attacking Spike or trying to stake me?” Buffy answered levelly. He had already apologised and she knew exactly what he was apologizing for – her being a vamp. ‘As if it were his fault!’ She mentally rolled her eyes at him.

Angel shifted uncomfortably, unused to her frankness. “Well no… I mean yes…I am sorry for what I did – what I’m sorry about is that you’ve been turned into what you hate… You’re a vampire…” Angel trailed off and stared at the small woman who was his entire world. Who now was beyond his grasp for all eternity. She was lost to him more completely than before, when he had walked away from her.

Buffy could see Angel was in turmoil, but the imp in her couldn’t resist flashing a fang at him. Her eyes changed colour and her dainty fangs dropped. “I kinda noticed, Angel. And why are you saying sorry? It’s not like you had anything to do with it.”

Angel forced his demon down; it had woken at the sight of Buffy’s fangs. He could feel the beast within him railing against the soul. It was appealing to his baser instincts to claim the perfect vampiress that stood before him. But Angel managed to suppress his demon once again. It was a constant battle and lately the strength to resist was waning- he wanted to give in and let the darkness enfold him in its comforting embrace…

“But it’s wrong…” he whispered miserably.

“Yeah, it is wrong, Angel, but it has happened. I can’t change it and neither can you. We need to move on and try to adapt,” Buffy sighed.

“Are you adapting?” Angel quizzed her, his brown eyes filled with questions.

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I’m not gonna say it’s a bed of roses, but I’m getting there.” She looked over her shoulder, sensing her agitated Sire’s presence. Spike had tried to stay upstairs but his feet had carried him halfway down the steps where he lurked anxiously, ready to leap in and defend his lady’s honour. If Peaches even made one hurtful remark, Spike was going to puree the sod!

Angel glanced in the same direction, his nostrils flared at the scent of Spike. “So you are, in fact you’re doing better than I would’ve expected. After that time when you were a vamp in that kid’s dream and how you reacted, I never would have expected you to be so calm.”

“Angel, don’t!” Buffy made a cutting motion with her hand. “I know you think you’re trying to help, but don’t…”

There was a faint growl that drifted down the stairwell. Spike vamped out and his entire body tensed.

“Don’t what?” Angel pressed.

Buffy growled at Angel, the tone of it was dominating and angry. Angel’s head jerked up at the sound, surprise filling him that one of his line would directly challenge him.

Particularly a fledge – even if it was Buffy…

He then froze at the tears that filled Buffy’s lavender eyes and spilled over onto her cheeks. “Buffy?”

She dashed them away with her unbound hand and shook her head. “Angel, you have no idea what happened to me and how hard it was! Spike saved me from all that, he helped me and held me when I cried and let me be when I needed to be alone. He has been so amazing, please don’t dismiss it all by saying I’m doing better than you expected. It’s hard, but I’m getting there. All of it’s too hard and now there’s this Hell Bitch after me and everyone I love!”

Spike leapt down the stairs with a snarl and pulled Buffy to his side. She turned her head and wept against his shoulder.

“Happy now, Peaches? You made her cry!” Spike rumbled. Anger tensed his entire frame; all his muscles were locked, ready to burst into action.

“I didn’t mean to…I’m sorry…” Angel apologized again, embarrassment colouring his entire demeanour.

“You never mean to and yeah, you’re always sorry…”Spike pressed his lips to the crown of Buffy’s head. “Mate, you have no idea how bad it was, what that bastard did to her…If I hadn’t…oh god, if I hadn’t…she would still be there….”

Angel peered at both of his kin and his heart broke at the sight of them wrapped around each other. Before he could stop and think, his long legs ate up the distance between them and he had them both in his arms- comforting them and himself in the same move.

Spike and Angel

Spike watched as Buffy walked slowly up the stairs, her entire frame radiating exhaustion.

He turned back to Angel with a smirk.

“Now that you’ve got all the cuddles outta your system, you and me need to have a chin wag.” Spike pulled out a battered pack of cigarettes and shook one out. “Come on.” Spike pulled Angel along by the elbow into the office at the back of the gym. Away from teenage ears.

“Want a drink?” Spike pulled open a drawer in the desk and a bottle of tequila appeared on the desk, along with two shot glasses. “And no, I am not letting you do body shots on me, Peaches!” Spike arched his scarred brow at the look of complete shock on Angel’s usually immobile face. He grinned and sloshed some amber liquid into the glasses and shoved one over to his Grandsire.

Angel reached across the desk and took the glass and sipped at it. He usually didn’t drink, he tried not to as it reminded him of his mortal self- Liam the drunkard- who, because of his asinine ways, had let himself be turned. But he needed a drink after all the revelations of the evening- he needed it! And Angel suspected that Spike was about to unload another shock to his already frazzled nerves. “Thanks…”

Spike downed his shot with relish, a relish that even to this day Angel resented. He refilled his glass and then waved the bottle at the brunette vampire. Angel shook his head and put the half drunk glass back down. Taking a deep and unneeded breath, he said the words he never thought he would ever say to Spike.

“Thank you for saving her.” Angel braced himself for Spike to crow over the muttered words and was surprised, yet again.

“No need for thanks, mate. I’d have died for her if it would’ve helped her – still would.” Spike downed the second shot and re-filled his glass, not even offering it to Angel this time. Instead, he placed the bottle within both their reaches and sat back in his chair.

“I realise that now…” Angel truly did. Spike always had a romantic streak in him from the moment he had been turned.

Spike nodded briefly. “Yeah. But now, Peaches, I need a blood oath from you.”

Angel sat up straight, “WHAT?”

“You heard me, and it’s got nothing to do with Buffy and her new nocturnal accessories.”

Angel leaned forward, ignoring the sliver of pain that shot through him. “What for?”

“Joyce and Dawn.” Spike sighed and rubbed his face tiredly, unwillingly to tell Angel it all, but he had to know what he was getting into.

“Joyce and Dawn?” Angel questioned. He could see Spike was worried and that his nerves were stretched thin, he decided for once not to goad him.

“Yeah, they don’t know…”

“Know what?” Angel pressed.

“That bint we fought is after Dawn; she’s the key.” Spike felt his shoulders loosen at his admission. He knew that the noble nit in front of him would help now that he knew everything.

“Dawn is the reason this woman is here in Sunnydale?” Angel frowned. He was confused; why would anyone want Buffy’s kid sister? All the years he had known Buffy, Dawn had been there in the background, just a bratty kid sister nothing more. And now someone wanted Dawn. What for?

“Yeah, that’s why we need her out of here and somewhere safe.” Spike gritted out the last few words, the concept of having to ask Angelus for help grating on his last tender nerve.

“But what does she want Dawn for? To force Buffy to do something for her?” Angel was completely lost.

As Angelus, he had considered turning the child and then setting her on the Slayer, but Spike had talked him out of it. Reminding him of Anne Rice’s Claudia and how well that had gone.

“No, not to use for blackmail- Dawn is the Key,” Spike explained. Sometimes Angel could be a bit slow, he briefly wondered if he should draw some flash cards to explain it all to the git.

“The Key to what?” Angel queried.

“Dunno. All the monk said was that she was a power source for the bint to get home…”

“Dawn’s a battery?” Angel mentally slapped himself for saying this, but it was out of his lips before he could stop himself.

“Oi! So she’s not really Buffy’s lil sis, doesn’t mean you can say that!” Spike growled.

“Okay, what are you on? Did you eat the worm already? Dawn is Buffy’s sister, are you nuts?” Angel interjected angrily.

“For Christ’s sake. Listen, you ninny. Dawn isn’t real. She was put here for Buffy to protect by some arses in brown robes, who decided that, rather than praying to god, they would play god with our lives. Your memories of Dawn aren’t real; everything in your noggin has been played around with to fit her into your life. We need you to protect Dawn and Joyce so we can fight and kill the bint after her,” Spike hissed in exasperation.

“Huh, umm, Spike? Are you sure I didn’t hit you on the head?” Angel stared at the furious vamp seated behind the desk.

“Look, I’ll track down Whistler and send him to you for a show and tell moment, okay? Until then, neither of them knows the truth so don’t say anything to Joyce or the Nibblet. And swear that you’ll protect them till you’re dust.” Spike slammed his hand down on the desk and vamped out. His golden eyes flared a challenge at his Elder.

“Whistler? Oh…” Angel knew that if Whistler had been around then something big was cooking in the cauldron of big evil. Even though he thought Spike was nuts, he decided to go with the flow.

Raising his hand up, Angel vamped out and raked his fangs across his palm. Spike mimicked his actions and then reached over the table.

Their blood soaked palms met with a slap.

“I swear by the Line of Aurelius to protect the two women with my unlife,” Angel rumbled around his fangs, his eyes never leaving Spike’s.

“I bear witness to this oath and will hold you accountable if you fail,” Spike rasped back.

Angel released Spike’s hand and licked their mingled blood off; he tried not to groan at the taste of Buffy’s blood that was present in Spike’s. Spike licked his hand clean, savouring the taste of his Grandsire’s blood, the first taste in a century of the elixir that he missed so much.

Angel blinked. There was something in Spike’s blood; as it washed over him, he understood.

“Dawn’s not real!” He exclaimed.

Spike dropped his head to the desk with a groan. “That’s wot I’ve been trying to tell you.”

“Oh…”

Joyce and Angel

“Are you sure you don’t mind babysitting us?” Joyce asked worriedly as she pushed open the front door and ushered Dawn in before her.

Angel stepped into the familiar house followed by the others. “Not at all,” he said as he smiled briefly at the woman he barely knew. He secretly resented the ease of interaction between Spike and Joyce, something he had never shared with Buffy’s mother. He ignored Cordy’s humph and gestured for his friends to sit down.

Checking outside, he could see Buffy and Spike leaning against the tree in the front yard, two sentinels on watch for attack. Giles, Tara and Anya had already said their goodbyes and headed home, leaving the eight of them to travel on to Revello Drive.

Joyce pulled Angel into the dining room for privacy. “Thank you for doing this. I know we’ve never really seen eye to eye before, but to take us into your protection…thank you…” Joyce avoided eye contact with her daughter’s first lover.

Angel folded his arms across his chest and stared at the woman whose words had been the final nail in the coffin of his relationship with Buffy. He could recall the entire conversation in the mansion as if it were only yesterday. Part of him still resented her for what she did, but only a small petty part of him. “It’s okay, Mrs Summers. I would do anything to help Buffy, you know that.” With that final barb Angel made his peace with the woman.

“Oh…” Joyce chewed her lower lip, acutely aware what Angel meant. She straightened her shoulders to show that she wasn’t intimidated. It didn’t matter what he said, because she knew she was right about him. He was not right for Buffy- Spike was meant for Buffy, that much was apparent now.

Angel stared at Buffy’s mother. Her face was coloured with the strain of the past few days. But there was something else there, something in her eyes. He inhaled deeply, scenting her, and frowned. His eyes flickered to the two blonds outside, wondering why they hadn’t noticed. But then again, Buffy was still a young vamp and she wouldn’t know what her senses were trying to tell her and Spike…Well, Spike had been focused on saving Buffy and then helping her through her changes. If there hadn’t been those distractions, Angel was sure that the peroxide blond vampire would’ve picked up on it…

Dawn and Angel

‘She isn’t real! I cant believe it – I can remember so much…’ Angel leaned against the door jam and watched the petulant teen as she stuffed clothes into her suitcase. Every movement screamed teen angst and Angel briefly wondered if Buffy had ever behaved like this.

“I hate you!” Dawn spat as she pushed her diary into her case. “Always have!”

“I know…” Angel replied patiently.

“I want to stay here…”

“With Spike, I know,” Angel interrupted. He had noted the attraction the youngest Summers had for Spike.

“What? NO! I want to stay at home…it’s nothing to do with Spike.” Dawn blushed bright red, her blue eyes flaring with anger. She cringed at the realisation that Angel had picked up on her crushing on Spike. She knew Spike was interested in Buffy and saw no one else but her annoying older sister, which bugged the crap out of her. Cos She was so much nicer than Buffy!

“Yeah…Yeah…nothing to do with Spike,” Angel teased and then straightened. He walked into the room and snapped the case shut, hefting it to one side as he held out his free hand to Dawn. “Come on, Rodeo Drive awaits you...”

Dawn ignored Angel’s proffered hand and stomped past him as she clattered down the stairs.

Angel shook his head and then looked up at the ceiling. “What do they see in him?”

******

Angel stood in the hallway and stared at Joyce, wondering what to do. His eyes flickered out the front door. Spike straightened at the sensation of his Grandsire’s eyes resting on him and returned his gaze with a reflected question. Spike rested his hands on Buffy’s shoulders and murmured something to her¾ she nodded and carried on watching Dawn loading Angel’s car with her bags whilst talking quietly to Wes and Gunn.

Spike sauntered over to the brunette vampire with a questioning gaze.

“Need to talk to you around the back.” Angel grabbed Spike’s elbow and the two of the vamps disappeared around the corner of the house.

Buffy glanced over and wondered what they were up to – she hoped Angel would leave Spike’s dangly bits alone this time. The bruising she had discovered on Spike still made her feel kinda icky.

********

Spike yanked his arm free with a growl, “Stop manhandling the goods mate.” He spun away and started pacing back and forth – the entire evening’s events and those of the day before had pushed him to the limit and one more thing would send him into a frothing frenzy. Spike suspected that whatever Angel was about to say would be the final straw. Running his hands through his slicked back hair, he sighed and stopped in his tracks, then turned to face Angel.

The older vamp hadn’t moved an inch; he stood there with his hands thrust into his coat’s pockets and stared intently at his errant Grandchild as he paced. ‘Never could stand being still for even a moment…’

Spike glared at Angel and finally threw his hands in the air in exasperation, “Spit it out, oh broody one!”

Angel’s head snapped up¾ detente aside, he would not tolerate younger members of his family being so impertinent. “William,” he growled.

Spike’s nostrils flared and his whipcord lean body tensed.

“Don’t push me,” Angel warned.

Spike snorted and rummaged in his duster pockets for a pack of fags. Shaking one out, he lit it and exhaled a stream of smoke from his nostrils, his sapphire blue eyes glittering with impatience. “But pushing is wot I do best, Grandad…” he rocked back on his heels, the lit cigarette dangling from his lips and a familiar smirk shaping them.

“Enough. There is something more important to discuss.” Angel checked around the moonlit backyard for observers and then moved to whisper in Spike’s ear. As the elder vampire talked, Spike’s face was contorted with a myriad of expressions, running from shame, anger, fear and finally worry.

“You sure?” Spike hissed.

Angel nodded and stepped back.

“Fuck!” Spike turned and began to leave, only to be stopped by a touch of Angel’s hand on his forearm.

“No William, don’t,” Angel muttered in hushed tones.

“But…”

Angel shook his head, “we need to be sure, before we say or do anything.”

“Why did I miss this?” Spike demanded.

“You had a lot on your mind - both of you have...” Angel responded, trying to soothe his agitated Childe.

“But…” sorrow filled Spike’s face.

Angel gingerly wrapped an arm around Spike’s shoulder and to his surprise Spike’s smaller form slumped against him. Never in their entire history had William or Spike turned to him for comfort – not that Angel had ever expected him too. Angelus would have seen it as a sign of weakness and destroyed the younger vamp without pause. But Angel suspected that recent events had significantly alter Spike’s personality, and surprisingly for the good.

“Will, me boy, I swear I’ll do everything in m’power to right this.” Angel’s voice slipped into his natural brogue as he calmed his shivering Childe. “Me word, my oath is m’bond Childe.”

Spike realised the rather compromising position he was in and straightened quickly with a decisive nod. “Come on…”

“Hey, are you guys back there? We’re ready to go.” Cordelia’s bored voice echoed around the side of the house.

Buffy pulled away from her Mom’s embrace and looked for Spike.

Dawn was already sitting shotgun in the convertible and, to keep the peace, the others had said nothing.

“Right here.” Spike sauntered around the side of the house, his loose-limbed gait belying the tenseness of his entire body. He tossed a firm stare at the brunette seer who was tapping her foot impatiently, “looking smashing as usual, Pet.” He was used to high maintenance women, so knew just what to say to calm the fuming female. He wondered why Angel always surrounded himself with birds like Darla and Cordelia…

Cordelia preened slightly and then her eyes narrowed. Spike was making nice, why? Guess it was cos Joyce and Dawn and their prospective LA road trip. She was unhappy with the two guests they had acquired, on top of the whole Buffy angst-a-thon from Angel. Cordelia wanted to go home to LA and forget about all this, but now there were two reminders of the whole ‘lets see how hard to hit Angel in the head and balls situ’ coming back with them.

She had tried to talk Angel out of it, but he had given her the ‘don’t even bother trying’ look and muttered something about Vamp blood oaths and him owing Buffy, and Cordy had given up. She had retreated to the couch in Buffy’s house with a grumble and flicked through some magazines while everyone was getting ready to leave.

Spike swept Joyce up in a hug and inhaled deeply. He slipped into game face and rumbled deep in his chest. “Gonna miss you, Mum…”

Joyce patted Spike’s back with her hands and rubbed her head against Spike’s, “Me too, look after Buffy for me?”

Spike nodded against her neck, he had buried his face in the soft curve of her throat, trying to absorb as much of her scent in his dead lungs to sustain him. With a shiver, he reluctantly released Joyce and his game face slipped away as he took Joyce’s shoulders in his hands. “I swear I will, love. Keep the Nib outta trouble and don’t let Peaches push either of you around.” Spike smirked at the good natured ‘hey’ that emanated from Angel’s direction.

Before anyone else could say anything, Dawn’s petulant tones erupted from the car.

“If you’re making me go, well then, lets!” she glared at her Mom and Spike for making with the hugs, and then sent a laser glare across the front yard at everyone else.

“This is not gonna be fun,” Gunn muttered to Wes and Cordy, both of whom nodded in agreement.

*********

“Oh luv, stop blubbering, you can talk to ‘em on the blower all the time…” Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy’s tiny weeping form. He watched as the taillights on Angel’s black convertible disappeared around the corner. His mind teaming with thought.

“I miss them already, even Dawn,” Buffy sniffled. She surreptitiously wiped her nose on Spike’s T-shirt and then her lower lip wobbled again.

“Come on, let’s get you home so you can have a good cry and a sleep…” Spike coaxed her into the Desoto and they roared off into the night.
Chapter 23 by Schehrezade
Chapter 23


Okay mini warning here - there is a reference to some not so nice things happening to a character and the death of a main character (no fretting it's Buffy and we already know she's a vamp - hence the death of a main character)I do hope that it isn't too grim.

Italics = thoughts

It had only been a week since Angel had bundled off Joyce and Dawn. Spike had been unusually sombre the evening they had gone. If she hadn't known better, Buffy would've thought he was brooding. There had been several hushed phone calls which Spike had ended as soon as he realised he wasn't alone. She had no idea what it was all about and whenever she had tried to say something to him, Spike had changed the subject or distracted her with a kiss - and who was she kidding? His kisses were totally distracting.

So here they were - staking out The Bronze. It was about 10pm and the club was heaving with bodies. Buffy had stopped breathing - the scents of arousal, excitement and sweat pouring off the clubbers was intoxicating. Her demon was scratching around the edges of her soul - asking for an out. She was terrified of giving in. Buffy could still taste the hot blood from her first and only victim pouring down her throat; could hear his pitiful screams tapering off into a gurgle as she drained him. His clawing hands as he tried to get away from her fangs; his tight grasp that had been so strong at first until he batted at her weakly, before falling still as the last drops of his blood had been sucked from his thick neck.

Her body craved those tantalising sensations again, but her soul stopped her thankfully from falling to that delicious red haze. She was stronger than her demon. Buffy pushed aside the gnawing hunger - focusing her human and Slayer sides on her insistent demon, and with their combined strength, manage to force the blood lust into the far reaches of her mind and soul.

Unbeknownst her, Spike had watched her struggle from across the catwalk spanning the ceiling of the Bronze, his body taut, ready to leap to her rescue if she succumbed to her blood lust. He had picked out the spot to watch over his Childe, Tara and Anya. His whipcord lean black clad form stood opposite where Buffy was leaning on the rail, looking down over the dance floor. Spike had watched in concern and then with pride as his diminutive Childe had vamped out and her eyes had flickered from lavender to hazel over and over as she had battled her metaphysical inner demon - and won. 'That's my girl,' he thought proudly.

This was Buffy's first time out in a public area filled with heaving bodies. Up until now she had only been exposed to her friends and family - not a room filled with mortals and the intoxicating sounds of their heartbeats thrumming in her ears. Let alone the scents she had consciously just battled.

Anya and Tara sat at one of the tall tables - intent in their conversation, or so it appeared. But to a seasoned predator such as Spike, the two women’s alertness was easy to spot, their eyes constantly flickering around the crowded room. Searching for something or someone, never alighting on an individual for more than a second. Their frames were taut with tension, and not reflecting the ease of other people around them - who were lost in the daze of partying and letting lose. Instead they sat upright and sipped on their drinks while scanning the room.

Spike shook his head and reminded himself to teach the two birds the ins and outs of a stakeout.

He had hesitated on lecturing the two of them before hand as both Tara and Anya had come undone as the result of a single letter.

Spike growled deep in his chest at the two girl’s reactions to the scribbled missive that had been posted to The Magic Box. Giles had sat between Anya and Tara and tried in his fumbling way to soothe them. It had been from Willow, her first communiqué to Tara. Liberally dotted with tear stains, Willow's neat handwriting was unusually for her a scrawl signalling her state of mind clearly to the readers, it was a mish mash of apology and remorse. It was filled with such self-recriminations and apologies for falling so far and so hard that it had broken Tara's heart again, and Anya's had shattered alongside the quiet Wicca, as she had no news of her missing lover, Xander.

When he and Buffy had arrived, his Childe had whisked the two women off into the training room, leaving Spike and Giles to sit at the table. Buffy had taken one look at Tara and Anya's red-rimmed glassy eyes and trembling lips, and she had realised something was amiss. Much to Giles's flustered relief. He had no idea how to cope with one woman's tears, let alone two.

The British men's male discomfort over feminine tears surprisingly added another strong bond to the tenuous friendship that was evolving gradually over time and circumstance. In the end they had resorted to a bottle of whiskey and sat at the table surrounded by musty volumes, and sipped from their glasses as they plotted Drac's downfall. Spike and Giles were of the same mind that it was to be a painful and prolonged death, with an added dash of castration just to spice up the fun.

Their plotting lead to the two men establishing that they had to locate the Transylvanian, and the only way was to establish his and his minions feeding patterns.

Which lead to them sitting in the Bronze - waiting for something happen.

Spike and Buffy had patrolled nightly, searching for a clue, a scrap of information to lead them to Dracula or the skank who had attacked them in the factory - the day they had nearly dusted and also discovered Dawn's true nature. But there had been nothing on either front. Both of the villains had seemed to have gone to ground. The only clue they had that Drac and his hell bitches might still be around was the plethora of bodies with so-called neck trauma. So the decision had been made to stake out the Bronze in the hope of finding one of the vampires hunting. It had been their only option-- to patrol a prime vampire feeding ground, and so far nothing.

*******

"Hey there, handsome. Wanna dance?"

Spike twitched in surprise. He had been lost in thought and focussed on the dance floor searching for a vamp - any vamp. He hadn't heard the young woman approaching until she had spoken to him.

"No thanks, luv," he responded without even turning to face his admirer.

"Oh come on! A honey like you shouldn't be on his lonesome!" The persistent woman reached over and tugged on Spike's elbow, trying to get him to look at her.

"He isn't!" Buffy's voice was hard and cold with anger. She slid past the annoying woman and slipped into Spike's welcoming arms. Buffy eyed the flirty woman. She was tall and slim and dressed in skin tight hipster jeans and a form fitting top which was see through, revealing a black bra filled with an ample bosom. Buffy crossed her arms over her smaller breasts and suppressed a growl, one that vanished with the touch of Spike's hands over hers.

"Beat it, honey." Buffy smirked at the now flushing woman as Spike pressed an absent kiss to her throat. Buffy had spotted the slutty bitca within seconds of her going up to the oblivious Spike, and something predatory was unleashed inside her. Something so possessive that her blood lust paled in comparison. Spike was hers and no one else was getting their grubby paws anywhere near him. She suppressed another angry growl and eyed the woman who was now clued into how taken Spike was.

"Oh right…okay...my bad." The woman turned and walked off.

Buffy pinched Spike's side. "Good boy with the whole ignoring!"

Spike nuzzled his face into her throat with a purr, his eyes never leaving the dance floor. "You're the only one for me, pet," he purred and gave her earlobe a good nibble while he was at it.

Buffy, unable to resist, slipped her hand under his duster and gave his firm ass a good squeeze, "as if you'd look at another woman - you're mine."

"Behave missy!" Spike eyed his impish girl with a serious look in his eye.

"No time for romancing me, luv - besides you know I'm a sure thing!" A warm glow of happiness filled his entire being over Buffy's declaration. And also for her actions in protecting him from the feminine wiles of the poor bint who had only wanted a dance. Before he could tease his overprotective Childe, he was interrupted.

*Spike, something's happening* Tara's soft tones echoed through the blond vampire's mind. Spike's head jerked slightly in surprise. He had not expected Glinda to have that sort of whammy. Peering down at the two seated women in surprise, he noticed that the blonde Wiccan had a small crystal cupped in her hands, which was glowing. Something she had used to give her a boost, he guessed. Tara gave him a tired smile and jerked her head to the exit. Spike nodded and then gave Buffy a gentle nudge.

"Come on. Glinda's spotted something iffy." He took Buffy's hand and they began to make their way down the stairs and headed over to Tara and Anya.

Buffy gritted her teeth as they wove between all the tempting bodies in the club, her fangs itched for something to bite - but she manage again to suppress the urge to run riot and drain everyone dry. With a tiny growl she gripped Spike's cool large hand and raced after him, hiding behind his slightly taller body, using him as a buffer. Which also was kinda painful when you ran into it.

Buffy rubbed her nose ruefully, her eyes watered from the impact with Spike's muscled duster-covered back.

"You okay?" Spike turned around to face her, concern and mirth filling his eyes. "Not one of your best moments, eh?"

"Yeah, and less with the ‘ha ha, Buffy's a clutz’, " she grumbled as she went and sat next to Anya.

"What's up?" Buffy asked.

"We overheard some guys talking about a freaky chick in the alleyway, who had cold hands," Anya hissed excitedly. "Said that she tried to get them to come with her for a threesome - but was kinda pissed when they said no thanks, they weren't into girls!"

Spike's eyes narrowed and his nostrils flared, "really? Can't smell anything? Can you pet around the swelling?" he asked with a grin.

"Laugh it up, peroxide boy." Buffy rolled her eyes. Turning to Anya and Tara, "stay in here and keep with the staking out stuff - we'll go check out the frosty handed gal."

"Sods law the bint finds the only light-footed blokes in the area - bet she's not a happy li'vampy." Spike's voice trailed off as he headed out after Buffy's determined little figure.


********

Buffy took a deep breath as soon as she and Spike exited the Bronze - filling her dead lungs with the yummy scents of Alleyway - which was infinitely better than sweating humans with loud pulses. She ignored the twinge of pain from her bumped nose and happily inhaled the stinky odours of garbage, which quickly dispelled the mouth-watering blood lust inducing scents of mortals.

"Better, luv?" Spike looked down at her strained face, worry tingeing his voice.

Buffy nodded and vamped out, using her enhanced vision to scan the alleyway for any vampiress who were either desperate or dumb enough not to notice the scents of the two guys she had approached.

"I was watching you in there and you did me proud." Spike ran a soothing hand down her back, calming her instantly with his touch.

"Really? I nearly lost it in there - all the sounds and smells, it was almost too much. Even when I followed Anya's advice and stopped with the breathing."

"Yeah, but you didn't run amok and eat the teen population of Sunnyhell," Spike replied proudly.

"Pity she didn't. That would've been fun to watch!" A disembodied voice floated down from above them.

Buffy froze.

If her heart still worked she was sure it would have been pounding out of her chest.

Buffy recognised that silky voice - it still haunted her dreams.

Spike grabbed hold of his shivering girl as fear was pouring off her in waves.

"What is it, Buffy?" His voice shook with worry.

But she didn't reply. Instead Buffy bared her fangs and a feral look filled her countenance. The turned Slayer was operating on animal instinct - and that was to kill, destroy and avenge.

Tearing away from his firm grasp, she turned and sprang for the fire escape. Moving so fast she was a blur of blonde hair.

Spike swore under his breath and launched himself after her, his duster flapping behind him as he climbed up the rickety metal ladder and stairs after his irate Childe.

Within seconds, both of them had scaled the metal ladder and leapt onto the roof of the Bronze. They stood side by side, a stunning combination of black leather, denim and blond hair.

Buffy growled loudly, her lavender eyes flashed with an unearthly glow of pure ire as she scented the air. Trying to locate the source of THAT voice.

The still night was broken with a mocking laugh.

Spike's head turned in the direction he thought it had come from, and with a snarl allowed his face to shift. His brow thickened and his sharp fangs dropped. All he could think of was to protect his Childe - he had some suspicions about what was going on and he was ready to follow Buffy's lead-- this was her fight.

"Ohhh, what a handsome face - can I play with you?" The mystery voice mocked from a different direction.

Spike shifted back to his human face and turned towards their adversary's new location. He tried to tune out the conflicting emotions that were filling him - all of them pouring through the Sire/Childe bond. Buffy was a mess of emotions and now was not the time to let them in, usually he savoured their bond - but for now he needed a clear head.

"He is mine, bitch," Buffy howled and launched herself at the shadows. Only to stumble against the chimneybreast with a resounding thump.

Spike again was filled with pride and happiness that Buffy claimed him as hers and that she blatantly acknowledged it - he had never been so openly loved before. Dru had loved him, but her heart had belonged to her missing daddy. Never before had he felt so completely loved and had not realised how much he wanted this kind of declaration, not until now and from his Childe, Lover and precious Slayer-- he was hers and she was his.

Buffy pushed herself away from the coarse brickwork; wiping her grazed hands on the seat of her jeans, she whirled to face Spike.

"Where is she?" Buffy hissed.

"Right here."

And then the niggling clues that Spike had clicked into place, his suspicions were confirmed as to why Buffy was so incensed with anger and filled with such fear.

It was one of Drac's floozies.

His last thoughts before Buffy flew at the taller vampire was - oh shit.

*******

"They've been a while. Do you think we should go and see if everything is okay?" Tara glanced over at the door Buffy and Spike had exited through.

"And do what? Either watch them fight, get knocked out by the baddie or worse, eaten in a not so good way by a vampire?" Anya slurped at her cocktail and cocked her head in question.

"Well, when you put it that way." Tara fidgeted on her stool and sighed.

"Yes, indeed - I put it in a succinct way and you didn't roll your eyes or try to stifle me - thank you." Anya reached over and patted Tara on the shoulder.

Tara looked over at Anya and raised a fine eyebrow at her and gave her a lopsided grin. It was weird, now that Xander wasn't around to 'Ahn' the ex-demoness all the time; she was starting to adjust to Anya's way with words more easily. "So what do we do?"

"We wait, until one of them comes back to get us I guess, or we could call Giles?" Anya suggested. She coughed as a cloud of dust floated down from the rafter and waved her hand over her glass. "And maybe some fresh drinks - I think that this place is due for a building inspection."

Both women looked up and the ceiling and frowned when there was a noticeable shudder of the woodwork.

******

"I hate you!" Buffy launched herself again at the taller vampire and unleashed a flurry of blows on the Bride's face and body.

Spike pulled himself up from the ground and began to climb back up the fire escape; he tried to ignore the interesting grating noises his ribs were make with each movement. He was rather pissed off that the Bride had managed to wrong-foot him and toss him off the roof like a whiffle ball.

Very embarrassing. He was glad there was no one around to see him do his Flying Spikeini impersonation.

Buffy ducked as the older female vamp kicked out, and then followed through with a sucker punch that sent the turned Slayer flying. She hit the roof with a resounding thump and rolled over onto her side and coughed. Blood poured unchecked from her mouth; Buffy grimaced and spat out the crimson fluid. Kneeling shakily, Buffy took a hard kick to her unprotected side, which sent her spinning through the air in a flurry of limbs.

Buffy hit the side of the chimneybreast again with a sickening thud and then slumped to the ground. Despite her anger fuelled energy, facing off against one of her tormentors had caught her off guard as soon as they had begun to fight. Terror and recalled sensual tortures, filled Buffy's mind to the point where she was not fighting at her top potential. Something the other vampiress was taking advantage of.

Dracula's bride took long strides across the roof towards the slumped form of the blonde vampiress she knew intimately. She wanted to taste that delectable blood again - the scent of which was flooding the air and filling her mind with flashes of luscious memories.

The smaller woman pinned to a satin covered bed - her wrists and ankles secured with heavy and unbreakable enchanted chains, while she feasted on the Slayer's warm succulent breasts. Blood pouring from the scratches left by her Master's nails. The taste of this Slayer's blood had been incomparable.

Her particular favourite memory was the anguished look in the imprisoned Slayer's eyes as she had brought her to orgasm using her mouth and fingers, while her two sisters had suckled at the Slayer's small breasts, blood streaming from her abused nipples. The pleas for the three of them to stop only heightening the Brides enjoyment and egging them on to more depravities.

Depravities that stripped all the innocence from the warrioress of light during the days and nights that they held her captive.

But the one image that surpassed all others was the sight of her Master sinking his hard cock into the Slayer's depths as she and her two sisters had held their imprisoned Slayer's legs open for him. The weak struggles and the screams had been the best thing she had experienced since the Boer war and the last Slayer they had played with.

Even after her little sister had joined them, screaming her unwanted orgasm out as Dracula had turned her, all of them had still wanted her - despite her blood being as dead as theirs. There was still some power in it, and also the delight in adding to the humiliation of the Slayer with their sexual games was just neat.

"Think I'll have a taste, little one. I've missed your blood and body," she purred and leaned down to lap at the blood seeping from Buffy's hairline.

"Ohhhh. Aurelian blood as well now, how exquisite!" She leant over and lapped at the exotic combination of blood. Her nipples stiffened in excitement and the moisture between her long legs began to flow.

Spike sprang over the edge of the roof and landed flatfooted with a menacing growl.

"Get your filthy tongue off her."

Spike threw himself across the roof, fury filling his battered frame. Reaching out he wrenched the Bride away from Buffy and threw her over his shoulder, with barely any effort on his behalf. Whirling, he stood over Buffy's still form, his fists clenched and he roared possessively at the smirking woman who stood up and straightened her hair.

"Really, that's not friendly of you. I only wanted a taste. My little sister is just sooo tasty, ripe and swollen with your blood as well, now." She smacked her lips and leered over at Spike. "Pity it wasn't from the source, though. Maybe if I ask nicely you'll let me have a nibble?"

"Bite this." Buffy had woken while the Bride was taunting Spike and had moved without either of the combatants noticing.

A small fist sailed out of the shadows and caught the leering bride in the nose. It broke with a resounding crack and blood and splinters of bone poured down the Bride's startled face.

Spike roared with laughter and tucked his thumbs in the waistband of his jeans, "not looking too fresh now, are you, luvvie? Wonder if Drac'll give you a 'go' now?" he sneered.

The injured bride stumbled back, her hands clutching at her ruined face, shock and for the first time in centuries, fear colouring her eyes. "How?"

Buffy appeared from the darkness and shrugged, "like this." With that she landed another hard blow on the stunned and bleeding vampire. Dracula’s bride doubled over and vomited up what seemed to be pints of borrowed blood.

Buffy stepped back, a moue of disgust on her face. "Ewww, and on my suede boots."

Spike shrugged and sauntered over to her, "I told you that those were no good for patrolling or fighting - it's a bugger to get entrails outta suede, best toss em when we get home."

Buffy didn't take her eyes off the gasping Bride, "why?"

"Not having that bint's scent all over the place, bound to put me off my nosh!" Spike said, his face deadpan.

The Bride fell to her knees and clutched her stomach. Looking up, her pale face was crisscrossed with trails of deep red blood. Loathing filled her eyes and, unable to resist it, she began to taunt Buffy with details of their nights spent together. She wanted the upper hand in this battle and if it meant dishing the dirt to wrong foot her opponents, that who was she to care?

Spike's jaw tightened as the fallen vampiress maliciously listed all the horrors that she and her brethren had inflicted on his Buffy; he had heard most of it from his girl's lips, but to hear this foul woman boasting and taunting Buffy was too much. His entire being tightened with a fury he had never before felt in his entire existence. Spike's frame shook with anger, his fists tightened, the knuckles on both hands cracked loudly.

"Oh, didn't she tell you all the fun we had?" The Bride staggered to her feet and ran her hands over her breast and down her sides, her mouth twisted into an exaggerated leer.

Buffy had frozen as soon as Dracula's concubine had started talking. It was one thing to know and recount the horrors of her repeated rapes and turning. But for someone else to talk about it as if it had been all fun and games was unbearable. Buffy's slim shoulders hunched slightly as she waited for Spike to say something about the humiliation this being was visiting on her.

"Awww, has the littlest vampire got nothing to say? Maybe she can't because she's afraid that she might let slip how much she enjoyed our touch?" the Bride mocked cruelly. "Oh." A pale hand fluttered to her chest in a mockery of coquettish behaviour, "maybe she doesn't want to hurt your feelings, Spike? Do you satisfy her as much as we did?"

Spike glanced over at Buffy and their eyes locked; a small grin appeared at the edges of Spike's lips. Buffy was mad, 'this was going to be fun...hope she makes sure the slut’s in agony before she puts the Bride outta our misery.'

Buffy rolled her eyes, all the taunting and sneers had weakened her momentarily, but when she had looked into Spike's golden eyes she had found her inner strength again. He was hers and she was his, no matter what was said and done. Spike trusted and loved her no matter what, and was ready for her to make her move.

So she did.

Revenge was sweet.

Especially when it was so bloody and painful for her rapist.

Buffy moved fast - one moment she was by Spike's side, the next she had the vampiress pinned to the ground and was methodically breaking every finger on the taller woman's hands. Her lavender eyes flashing with anger and hatred, Buffy's fangs bit into her lower lips as she concentrated on destroying the same fingers that had once been inside her body. She wanted them destroyed.

Not a single word spilled from Buffy's mouth. Her face was set with a grim determination. As a rule she never played with her opponents, but this one was deserving of everything she meted out on her.

But her eyes never wavered from the screaming Bride's face.

Buffy then pulled the injured vampiress up and threw her against the chimney.

Backing away she waited for a move from her opponent. She was done with the torturing - it had sickened her slightly, but her demon had howled inside her for vengeance and for the first time she allowed it reign. Buffy fervently hoped Spike wouldn't be disappointed by her actions. Buffy, panting unnecessarily, focused hard on pushing her demon down and waited. Sated with its call for vengeance, the demon subsided in her and allowed for the cooler head of the Slayer to take control.

Spike reached over and ran his fingers softly over Buffy's trembling back. He had been surprised at her bloodthirsty actions, but understood.

"How dare you!" The Bride screamed in fury and agony. The dried blood on her face cracked and flaked off in places. She held her ruined hands up in front of her, the long fingers were twisted in different directions and in some places the bones were pushing through the skin. Blood seeped down her hands.

Spike arched a scarred brow at the bitch. "Gotta bit of Lady Macbeth going there, have you?"

The Bride turned and faced Spike, anger and fear mingled in her countenance.

"What, cat got your tongue? No more ‘lets taunt Buffy with all the horrors I inflicted on her?’" Buffy growled and took a threatening step forward.

The cornered vampiress flicked a glance over at her tormentor and shook her head. She began to search for a way to escape-- she needed her Sire.

"Think the bint's looking for an exit, luv," Spike drawled.

The Bride growled and launched herself at Spike, her mutilated hands clawing at his face.

"I'll destroy you just like I did her last boy toy!"

"Huh?" Spike batted the vampire away easily; her strength was depleted from her injuries.

Buffy frowned at her words, but then there was a surge of protective instincts overwhelming her, pushing aside any concerns over the Bride's comment.

Something was wrong, she could sense it.

The Bride had fallen and as she had hit the ground, she reached into her boot and pulled a stake out, wrapping her broken fingers awkwardly around the wooden death sentence. Pushing herself up with a roar of triumph, she launched herself at Spike's unprotected chest. One final torment to visit on her little sister before she made her escape-- destroy her new Sire. And leave her alone in the darkness.

"No!" The Bride stopped mid strike, her nerveless and broken fingers dropped the stake and her hands rested over her chest. Covering the gaping wound over heart. She looked up at her killer with startled eyes, her fingers clutching at her wound. She looked down again. "No," she whispered faintly.

Buffy opened her blood stained hand, revealing the Bride's heart that she had pulled out in one swift movement.

"But…I can't die...not now, he made a deal, we're safe...Glory promised." The Bride gasped out as she felt her insides turning to dust. The stolen blood in her veins dried up and the vessels collapsed in on themselves. Slowly her pale skin cracked and began to crumble, her fine reddish brown hair began to frizz and break off. A gurgling sob escaped her ruined mouth, a final death rattle.

"One down…two to go." Buffy blew a mocking kiss at her torturer.

Spike stepped to her side, he head cocked in interest as the Bride dissolved slowly into dust. "Taking her time, ain't she?"

********

Across town Dracula fell to his knees with an anguished howl.

His two remaining Brides clustered around him, tears of sorrow pouring down their faces.

********

"That was really satisfying." Buffy dusted her hand on the seat of her jeans and turned to face Spike. She checked him over worriedly and then with a sigh, wrapped her arms around his waist.

Spike stood silent, his mind whirling with thoughts.

"Spike?"

"What did she mean by your last boy toy?" Spike hated himself for voicing it.

Buffy frowned, "I dunno...you sure she said that?"

"Yeah," Spike ran his fingers through her hair, reassuring himself through constant contact that she was safe and here in his arms. When she had faltered in her fight with the Bride he was worried that he had lost her, just when he had found her. But eventually Buffy had rallied, and fought back with a ferocity that had surprised him. Spike knew that Buffy would fret endlessly about how she had tortured Dracula's Bride before dusting her.

Buffy pressed her face against his chest and sighed softly, enjoying his ministrations. His touch calmed her and soothed her. Buffy had known that there would have been a confrontation eventually, but to have finally faced off with one of her tormentors had been terrifying. Succumbing to her demon's demands had also terrified her - but on the other hand had also satisfied her.

"You heard from Captain Cardboard since the dry humping incident?" Spike hated himself for asking, but someone had to say it. If what he suspected was true, they needed to find out Finn's fate.

Buffy peered up at him, her now hazel eyes solemn. She shook her head sadly, worry filling her. "I'll call his apartment when we get home."

She didn't want to voice her worries to Spike over her ex. Buffy knew that he was still a bit touchy over Riley, so she kept quiet.

"Come on. The birds'll be wondering what the hell happened to us." Spike lifted Buffy in his arms. Ignoring the pain shooting from his ribs, he sauntered to the roof’s edge and, unable to resist showing off, he jumped from the roof and landed in the alley.

Buffy clutched at Spike's shoulders and wondered when her stomach would catch up with her. "Spike," she exclaimed.

"Wot?" Spike put her down and chivalrously offered his arm to Buffy.

As they headed into the Bronze his voice floated back into the now deserted alley,

"Hang about. Who the bloody hell's Glory?"
Chapter 24 by Schehrezade
Single Quotes = Thoughts


Dawn slipped out of her room and hesitated at the door to her mom's, which was next door to hers. Dawn had heard the noises again and this time instead of hiding under her bed covers, she was going to be tough and find out what it was.

They had been in LA for a few days; Dawn had sulked the whole drive down. She wanted to stay home near Spike and her friends. She didn't feel safe in LA; Angel was behaving weirdly since he picked them up. He had been all over Mom-- making sure she was comfortable in the car and settling her into the rooms that Cordy had cleared out for them. He also was behaving really strangely around her. Dawn kept catching the brunette vampire staring at her and then rubbing his wrist before wandering off.

Cordy had been the only fun thing to happen in LA - she had taken Dawn to all the coolest shops and the best hangout for under-aged teens in the city. Cordelia had changed since High School. She was still a fashion plate but there was a nicer vibe to her.

Dawn could still remember Willow and Buffy talking about how nasty she had been to them and Xander. But this Cordelia was mellower. She still had the sharp tongue that she used with relish, but something on a basic level had changed. She was much nicer than Dawn remembered her, and was really patient with Angel's mood swings-- and that took some major work. Angel was sooo premenstrual and totally high maintenance. She had no idea how Buffy had put up with him.

Gunn was cool. Dawn really liked him. He had a laid back attitude and was really cute. He hung out in the hotel most days and helped out with cases. Dawn briefly wondered how come Angel-- the 'Champion'-- got away with charging for helping the helpless, it was his calling and he took all major credit cards for it? Buffy didn't, and neither did the other Scoobies. Dawn grinned at the goofy image that popped into her head of Angel dusting a vamp and then whipping out a credit card machine and charging the chomped on victim.

Not of the good.

Dawn shoved the image of Peaches out of her head.

Instead, she thought about the hours Gunn spent asking her about Buffy and what a Slayer was. Dawn hadn't minded talking about her big sister much because Gunn was a good listener and had been amazed by all the Slayer stuff. He had asked about Angel and Buffy's relationship, and Cordy had interrupted with some stories but had changed the subject when Angel had appeared on the landing.

As far as Dawn could make out, Angel still considered Buffy his soul mate and greatest love and the other’s here in the agency thought the same. 'As if!' Dawn rolled her eyes. 'Spike is sooo the one for Buffy.' Dawn froze as she finally realised that Spike and Buffy were a couple and she had been crushing on Spike to the point where she had become a major brat. Her face flushed red and Dawn hunched her shoulders. She felt like an idiot-- sure Spike was gorgeous, sexy and really, really hot, but he had never looked at her as anything but a kid sister. He had been into Buffy from the moment he had clapped eyes on her, even if he had been with freaky Dru. As Mom said, he was in a phase and had to go through some stuff before he realised where he was meant to be.

With Buffy.

Dawn sighed and with that she pushed aside all her icky feelings towards Buffy and in turn felt better for it.

Dawn froze when she heard a whispered voice. She knew that voice! The teen had heard it on only one occasion, but the timber and tone was ingrained on her psyche.

Tiptoeing up to Angel's suite, Dawn pressed her ear against the door and tried to make out what was being said. All she could hear were sheets rustling and a few sighs and ewwww! A groan. Angel was spanking his monkey! Dawn leapt back from the door as if it were burning hot. 'Guess he can do that!' Dawn pulled a face and then, before she could run back to her room, she heard a feminine voice giggling.

A sickly sweet sound that hung cloyingly in the air-- and was really familiar to Dawn.

She scurried away and slipped into an empty room, almost shutting the door.

She left a teeny gap to peer through.

A firm hand clapped down on Dawn's shoulder. "Just what are you doing, young lady?"

A scream clawed its way past her heart, which had leapt into her throat.

"Ahhhhh!!!"

"Dawn, what are you doing? I hope this isn't one of your escape attempts?" Joyce asked tiredly.

Dawn clapped her hand to her mouth and managed to stop the scream from continuing. She threw her arms around her sleepy Mom and squeezed her tight.

Joyce rocked her youngest and ran a soothing hand through her hair. "Shhh, sorry baby."

***********

Angel woke at the sound of a scream. Reaching under the bed he grabbed a sword that he kept there for emergencies. Throwing back the sheets, he swung his legs over the side and stood up fluidly. His pyjama pants fell to his ankles unnoticed and the agitated vampire took a step forward and fell flat on his face. Clamouring to his feet, Angel pulled up his silk pants and secured them loosely on his hips.

Angel cocked his head and sniffed the air. The room was filled with the musky scent of sex, and he frowned in confusion. If he didn't know better, the dark-haired vampire would have been positive he’d had sex.

Pushing the silly imaginings out of his mind, Angel threw himself out of his suite in the direction of the scream and was greeted with a duo of feminine yelps.

Angel lowered his sword at the sight of Joyce and Dawn staring at him with huge frightened eyes.

"Uh, sorry." The flustered vampire ran his hand through his dishevelled hair. "Um, are you okay?"

Joyce took in his undressed state and nodded. "My fault. I startled Dawn, and then she panicked."

Angel took in the dark rings around Joyce's eyes and the sound of Dawn's racing heart and shook his head. "Sorry to add to the general panic. It's just when someone screams in the hotel, it's usually because something with horns or slime is attacking."

Dawn peered over at Angel, safely ensconced in her mother's arms. "Who was in your room with you?" she asked accusingly. The youngest Summers was all to aware of the fallout which ensued from Angel getting a big happy and there was no way she was going to let him slide on this. Her blue eyes narrowed and she waited impatiently for a reply.

Angel blinked in surprise at the teenagers question. "No one." He shifted uncomfortably on his bare feet as Dawn pinned him with a laser-like glare.

"But I heard some woman's voice in there!" she exclaimed angrily. Dawn hated it when adults lied to her.

Angel shook his head. "I was fast asleep until you screamed." He glanced around the corridor, his hackles rising. Someone or something had been here recently; the scent was faint but there. Concern for Dawn and Joyce rose in him and he hustled them off to their bedrooms-- ignoring Dawn's protests and Joyce's soft voice.

"You need your rest for the meeting with my friend Lorne tomorrow, Mrs Summers."

He sank down into a crouch, his pale skin gleaming in the artificial light. An undead sentinel dressed only in black silk PJ bottoms with a shining blade of tempered steel held loosely in one of his hands. Angel's calm pose belying the confusion in his mind, he was worried. Unaware of the faint shimmer of purple powder on his shoulders, the souled vampire stayed on watch for the rest of the night.

He had made a blood oath and was determined to stand by it.

******

"Pet?" Spike hesitated at the entrance of their bedroom. He could sense her distress through the sire bond.

She had been on edge ever since the other night. Once the adrenalin had worn off-- after they had gone back into The Bronze to find Anya and Tara-- his childe had slumped against his side and begged to be taken home.

The two women had helped them to the Desoto before climbing into the back. On the trip back, Spike filled them in on the confrontation on the roof of the Bronze. Anya and Tara both exclaimed with relief that one of the Brides was dust, and cosseted Buffy as best they could. One less, biggish bad to worry about in the coming days.

Tara had frowned for a moment when Spike had mentioned the name that the fallen Bride had taunted Buffy with, but had not said anything, choosing to hold her counsel for now until she had a chance to talk to Giles. Instead she had busied herself with tending to Buffy's bleeding knuckles.

Buffy rolled over in the four-poster bed and stared solemnly over at Spike. She looked scared and elated in the same moment. She had allowed her demon free reign briefly and it had felt too good, and it terrified her. Her euphoria was for the heart ripping outage of skank number one.

There were two more on her list.

Buffy knew she was wrong to want vengeance on her tormentors; the Slayer in her was disapproving, wagging a metaphorical finger at her for her actions. A clean kill in battle was good, but to decimate an opponent as she had done the previous night? It was wrong and her inner Slayer was not impressed with Buffy.

Spike cocked his head and waited for her to say something - anything. Intuitively knowing that now was not the time for his usual flow of banter, instead concern darkened his azure eyes and there was a solemnity to his face that was uncommon. He waited and watched as Buffy pleated the sheet covering her naked form from his disappointed eyes-- even when he was being a good puppy he was still in want of his girl.

"I'm bad, aren't I?" Buffy queried softly as she found a loose thread and whirled it between her thumb and forefinger.

Spike's stomach clenched with anguish and sympathy for the wretched and softly spoken question. His legs carried him to the side of their bed and his hands reached down and pulled Buffy's soft and acquiescent form against his.

Buffy curled her hands around Spike's neck and nudged her head under his chin, seeking comfort and reassurance. Spike sank down onto the bed and curled around his purring childe. "Not a bad bone in your delectable little bod, sweetness," he rumbled at her.

Buffy's mind recoiled from the memories of the Bride’s screaming face as she shattered another finger bone, trying to gain some comfort from Spike's gruff words.

Their peace was shattered with the shrill tone of the telephone ringing. Spike and Buffy exchanged a glance - the only ones who had their new number were Giles and the girls.

********

Buffy paced back and forth across the linoleum floor of the Magic Box, acutely aware of the four sets of eyes tracking her every step.

She paused and whirled to face them all, her mouth opening but no words passing her full lips.

"I know it's all very frustrating, but Tara has a theory." Giles nodded at the serene wiccan who sat next to him.

"All we have is this name the Bride threw out at you, right?" Tara questioned Buffy softly.

"Yeah," Spike interjected.

"Well, we spent some time searching through the more reliable sources and nothing." Anya waved her arms in the air. Her bright eyes were underscored with dark shadows, exhaustion lingered at the edges of all their consciousnesses, but the dire situation forced them all to ignore it.

Tara leant forward and carefully closed the tome that lay open in front of her. "It was only a passing comment I made, but Giles felt it may have some basis." She shrugged, slightly flustered that she may have hit upon the source of their barren researches.

"What is it, Tara?" Buffy asked with only the teeniest hint of exasperation marring her voice.

"All I said was that maybe this Glory person is older than the written word? Or even the oral tradition? Maybe this is why there is nothing written down or recorded anywhere." Tara revealed a trace of triumph in her voice.

Spike's eyes filled with admiration and he nodded sagely at Tara. "Right smart bint, aren't you, Glinda?" He glanced over at Buffy to check she was not having another meltdown. Right now it was time for planning-- later this evening he would hold her and tend to her. For now, his childe needed to be strong.

Buffy glared at Spike, all too aware of what he was feeling, and then ignored him. Instead, she turned to Giles. "What do we do now? If she's that old then are we gonna have to start looking at cave paintings for information?"

Anya failed to suppress a snort of laughter at Buffy's last comment; her peals of unexpected laughter infused all of them with shared mirth. It had been a long time since any of them had laughed and it felt good.

"We're at a loss as how to continue - all we have is a name." Giles wiped the laughter tears from his cheeks. “Whistler did say if he discovered anything then he would come to us with the information. His absence suggests that the Powers have no idea.”

Giles pulled his glasses off and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Have you attempted to contact him?”

Buffy flopped down at the table and prodded the discarded leather bound books with a cautious finger, unwilling to go too near them in case Giles forced one on her.

Spike leaned back in his chair, letting the front legs leave the floor as he swung back and forth, his face a study of concentration. “Nope, been a bit busy recently. The short arse kind of slipped my mind-- it might be worth a shot?” Anya shrugged and rose and began to put the shop to rights, ready for the next day's trade.

Tara and Giles began to stack the defunct tomes of information. Giles glanced over at Buffy and then the telephone. She noticed the direction his eyes had travelled and the slender woman’s shoulders slumped as she divined the path his mind had travelled.

"We're gonna have to call Travers, aren't we?" Buffy's whispered comment broke the contemplative silence.

Giles nodded tiredly. "We have to - I have exhausted all the avenues of research I have."

Spike's head shot up and he eyed Buffy cautiously, unwilling to voice what they all were worrying about.

"Can you make the call?" Buffy asked tiredly. She had no wish to talk to the head of the Council and was eager to pass the buck.

Tara eyed Giles. She could see that his aura had darkened slightly and tried to calm him with a smile-- but it was to no avail. Willow had told her all about the way the Council had fired Giles and then sent Buffy 'Wesley the Weedy Watcher' – though, to be honest, the Wesley she had met hadn't been weedy at all. The quiet Wiccan knew that Giles making contact with his former boss was not an easy proposition for the older man.

"Why don't we ask Hoffie?" Anya stalled Giles just as his hand reached for the phone.

"Your ex boss?" Spike cocked his head. He felt marginally safer talking to the old Vengeance demon rather than the stick up the arse, Travers. The former was less likely to try and stake his girl on first sight. Though, there was the whole, 'ohhh a turned Slayer! What a novelty. I'll add her to my creepy collection of trophies…' problem with D'Hoffreyn. Spike figured that he would probably have enough time to rip the old demon's horns off and shove ‘em where the sun didn't shine if he eyed up his Slayer the wrong way.

Giles’s lips gave an enormous twitch at the thought of his shop manager summoning her former mentor, but managed to keep silent - at this moment, he would accept information from the devil if it would help. There was something unsettling about the entire situation. If he had been younger and more aware of pop culture references, he would have said his 'Spider senses were tingling', and not in a good way.

Before anyone else could toss in their two pennies worth, a phone rang.

Everyone looked around, wondering who had programmed such an irritating ring tone. One that sounded suspiciously familiar to Giles. The watcher's eyes landed on Spike who rocked in dissolute splendour on his chair, his Doc Martin clad feet now propped up on the research table.

"Wot?" Spike rumbled.

Giles arched an eyebrow at the lounging vampire who had now hooked his thumbs on the waistband of his sprayed on jeans, his fingers neatly framing something Giles would rather not not have his attention drawn to.

"Spike, I doubt any of the girls has a penchant for The Clash - answer your phone!"

Spike’s feet thudded heavily to the ground and what resembled a sheepish look flickered across his face. He fumbled in his pockets muttering under his breath.

"Got it," Spike muttered as he pulled out the small mobile from an inner pocket and then stared at the display. His pale blue eyes shot over to Buffy for a split second before he rose and stalked from the shop floor, and into the training room.

"He got it a few days ago...guess he's not used to it," Buffy trailed off. She strained to hear the hushed conversation in the other room, but failed miserably. She was getting sick of the calls Spike was getting daily and the mumbled cryptic conversations. After the calls, he would say nothing and curl up around her and snuffle at her hair.

"But the Clash?" Giles queried with a hint of exasperation in his voice.

"Better than I Wanna be Sedated," Buffy shrugged.

Spike swung the door open with a bang and stalked into the shop, muttering under his breath.

"Spike?" Anya called out as the agitated vampire began to pace back and forth an angry grimace on his face.

"Yeah, pidge?" Spike halted when he realised yet again he was the centre of attention.

"The call?" Buffy prompted patiently.

"Right...yeah. S'Peaches. Had some info and… well… we need the proverbial paddle," Spike muttered. He reached over and pulled Buffy up, sitting in her chair before prompting her to take a seat back in his lap.

"Paddle? Is that the weapon we need to defeat this Glory person?" Anya asked quizzically.

"No luv, it's a saying. Means we're in deep trouble," Spike explained gently.

Understanding blossomed across the ex-demon's face. Anya smiled brightly and gave a sharp nod. "Thank you for explaining." Her face glowed with pleasure that-- for once-- someone had taken the time to explain what they meant and not hushed her up impatiently.

"The call. What did Angel say?" Buffy growled, her eyes flashed lavender briefly, "And since when are you two phone buddies?" she snarked.

Spike deftly avoided the latter question; there was no way he was prodding that Hornet's nest. If his girl found out her ma was sickly and that Angel and he knew about it, then both their gooses were cooked. He'd gotten the short version of what had happened, and to be honest, if the Poof had’ve been in front of him, Spike would've staked him on the spot. 'Taking Mum and the Nibs into a Demon bar, what the bloody hell was the ponce thinking?' Spike rested his forehead against Buffy's throat and growled at the thought of Joyce and Dawn surrounded by slimy, oozing scum. 'If he wanted the girls read, why the ruddy hell didn't the brooding arse get the owner of the club to come to him?'

"Spike when you've finished pouting, could you possibly tell us what you have learned?" Giles interrupted Spike angry thoughts.

The blond vampire's head snapped up, "I don't brood, I was thinking deeply!" he added lamely. He was still ruminating over what Angel’s friend had revealed, about Joyce and the hair-brained plan the Poof was about to embark on.

The bloke, Lorne, had read Joyce to find out what was wrong with her, and he had found out the source of her illness. Which was not good, but Peaches had promised that Lorne had pointed him in the direction of a cure. But what the LA Fang Gang hadn't counted on, was Dawn humming along -- or the club owner's reaction. 'Pansy passed out! Nibblet's voice can't be that bad?'

Buffy pinched him hard on the hip as she pasted on a saccharine sweet smile. "What is it, Spike? Or do I have to get the Abba records out?"

"No! I'll talk. No Abba, luv." Spike thought quickly. There was no way he was going to tell the Slayer that her little sis had been in a demon bar, singing and being read by the proprietor. He knew if he did then he could kiss goodbye any snuggles or whatnot for the next hundred years or so.

"Seems that Watcher Jr and Peaches found out something. Turns out something nasty is about to rise in Sunnyhell. And-- not too surprisingly-- goes by the name Glorificus." Spike thanked his lucky stars for his quick thinking. Sometimes he could lie and not be caught out. He eyed his girl whose face had a worried look on it. 'She bought it,' he thought with relief.

"Glory...Glorificus. Well, there is no doubt, then." Giles sighed worriedly.

Spike looked up from Buffy's face. "Gets worse. Appears this bint's a Hell God."

"A god?"

"Yeah, that's the info Peaches and the Mini-Watcher dug up." Spike held his metaphorical breath. If they found out the information had been gleaned from Dawn's humming, he was buggered right good.

"A god? Buffy echoed Giles’s query.

"Tha's right, luv." Spike pulled her closer, trying to reassure his girl with his touch while at the same time, trying to calm himself.

"We're screwed," Anya sighed.
Chapter 25 by Schehrezade
Exerpts taken from ATS The Trial and changed slightly by me to fit in with the plot. *Waits for bolt of lightening to strike me down.*

Megan – thank you so much for the betaing you are a star!!

Italics = thoughts

Buffy and Tara slipped into the side entrance of the Sunnydale Memorial Hospital. Giles had managed to find Riley through a contact. He had been found in a park covered in 'wild animal' bites and appeared to have lost his sanity.

Buffy had only half-heartedly smacked Spike upside the head when he had asked if Whitebread had ever been sane?

Giles had pulled Buffy aside after the meeting in the Magic Box and had--with extreme reluctance-- imparted the location and condition of her ex. After the revelations about Glory from Angel and Wes, the meeting had become fraught with tension and stress.

It was a god they were fighting and a god who had Dracula to help her out. Buffy had no idea what to do; instead she focused on each small task and accomplished them. Step by step: she called her Mom and spoke to her, cooked dinner—well, called for take out-- fed everyone, walked Giles and the girls back to his car, came back to the flat and cleared up.

With each small task accomplished, Buffy had regained a piece of herself. A Zen like calm descending on her with each small job done, but the best was soft gentle lovemaking that Spike and she indulged themselves in for the rest of the night. With each whisper soft touch and nibbled kiss, they came into their own, the soft caresses and gentle purrs all contributing to a relaxed pair of vampires.

Ready to take on whatever the Hellmouth spat up at them.

A god.

A Master vampire and his remaining Brides.

They would overcome these odds and more.

They could only hope and cling to each other in the darker moments of their lives.

***********

The others had dropped them off and then headed off to start searching yet again for Drac and Glory. Anya was curled up in the backseat chanting a spell continuously, one that Tara and Giles had created to hopefully dissipate whatever clouding protection Dracula had cast over his new home. Spike rode shotgun in the car that he had jokingly called the midlife crisis-mobile.

Giles had favoured him with a glare and a few choice words that none of the women wanted to know if Spike could do to himself. Spike had watched Buffy with guarded azure eyes as she and Tara had slipped into the side entrance; he wasn't too happy about the visit to the veggie that was his girl's ex, but knew that it was something that he couldn't or didn't want to prevent. Buffy was a good girl with a strong will and if she wanted to visit Cardboard, then she would.

Luckily, Glinda was there to help. He knew that if he went in Riley might get bitten - and not in the 'good' way that the ex-soldier used to troll for. Spike shuddered at the thought of watered down Finn blood in his gullet. The blond vampire licked the back of his hand to take away the imagined taste and then turned to tease Rupes a bit more about the penis-mobile.

*****

Buffy pressed up against Tara's side, the scents and sounds of the hospital gave her the shivers; it was an all too familiar reminder of her cousin Cecily. She hated hospitals - last time she had been in one, Angelus had tried to get to her. Only poor Xander had stood between her and Angelus's fangs.

Why had Xander changed so much? Was it her fault for involving him in her Slayer life? She shuddered again. Sadness filled her at the thought of her missing friend and what had happened to him. She hoped he was being helped, wherever Kendra and Whistler had taken him.

Tara tilted her head in question at Buffy. She had picked up on the distress that was emanating from her friend's small frame.

"What's wrong? Can you sense something?" Tara whispered, she kept her eyes on the busy corridor of E.R.

"Is it my fault Xander went wrong?" Misery etched fine lines around Buffy's mouth and eyes as she stared at Tara, hoping the serene woman would be able to answer the question she hadn't dared voice to Spike again. It nibbled at her consciousness, a hot prick of guilt that rushed through her every time she looked at Anya or thought about Willow.

Tara took a deep breath. She had wondered when Buffy would ask this question. She and Spike had thought it would have been sooner. But instead it had taken several days. She had pondered what to say to Buffy over and over, even talking to Spike and asking his opinion. She had known asking Anya would have lead to tears and recriminations. Giles had sidestepped the issue the one time she had tried to start a discussion. So instead Tara had turned to Spike, with a great deal of trepidation in her heart.

She had been genuinely surprised by the blond vampire's level-headed responses. He urged Tara to let Buffy come to her and to listen to all her worries. He had instinctively known that Buffy would approach Tara. She was her closest link to Willow - her best friend-- and also was a nurturer by nature. A motherly figure, in tune with her feelings and the earth and because of that, much more equipped to assist Buffy. Spike added that he had done his best in reassuring his slayer - but sometimes girly chats were good for the soul.

Spike had ducked his head and muttered something about needing to find some male friends before it was too late and swaggered off to have a smoke. So here was the dreaded question that Tara had been expecting. She took a deep breath and reached out to cup Buffy's shoulders. Buff managed to control the surprise in her face and the touch of Tara's hands - even though they were all adapting to her being a vampire.

Other than Spike and her Mom, neither Giles, Anya nor Tara had initiated physical contact with her. She missed it, but at the same time her fangs itched against her gums, wanting a taste. She forced the urge down, firmly reminding herself that Tara was not for nibbling on; Spike was.

Tara watched the lavender flicker in and out of Buffy's hazel eyes and could feel the tension coursing through her friend's slight frame. Instead of withdrawing she tightened her hold, aware that Buffy had to get used to her and human contact. Otherwise there would always be this battle with her two sides and Tara didn't want Buffy having to struggle - in her own inimitable words, she's have to deal with it!

"Buffy, listen to me. Xander made his own choices. It was nothing you did. He wanted to help; he could've left at any time, but he didn't. Buffy, whatever mind thrall Dracula put on Xander, it only brought to the fore whatever Xander was suppressing in his psyche. It's not your fault, okay?" Tara gave Buffy a gentle squeeze to emphasis her last comments, secretly amazed that she had managed such a long speech without a single stutter.

Buffy peeked up through her thick lashes at the determined Wiccan who was still cradling her slim shoulders in her hands. Seeing only concern in Tara's eyes, Buffy nodded and opened her mouth to reply, but was interrupted before she could.

"Buffy? Buffy Summers?" A clipped familiar voice interrupted the two girls. Tara and Buffy whirled to face the taller man who walked towards them with an easy grin on his face. His ice blue eyes lit up with pleasure at the sight of Buffy.

Buffy frowned, 'guess I wasn't on his contact list...so much for being the girlfriend and reason he stayed in Sunnydale, wasn't even on his ‘in case of an emergency call’ her list! But nooo, instead have the army come and get me...same guys who pumped me full of meds and made me nuts.'

"You look really well!" Graham exclaimed as he reached to take Buffy's hand. Tara rested a hand on Buffy's shoulder and whispered under her breath. A jolt of warmth ran through Buffy's body, heating her from the inside out. Buffy glanced over at Tara in surprise as Graham took her now warm hand and shook it. She widened her eyes slightly, smiled softly at the Wiccan’s quick thinking. Heating her body so as to protect her from Graham and the army.

"Umm, you too!" Buffy gushed and gingerly pulled her hand away before it could cool back down.

Graham's chiselled face quickly slid into a worried set and he glanced over his shoulder. "You're here to see Riley?"

"We only just heard," Tara cut in before Buffy could speak. Buffy nodded mutely, her teeth worrying at her full lower lip.

Graham frowned. "But I thought that you guys were dating?"

Buffy shook her head. "Not since I found out he was visiting, umm, well, he was…" flustered she broke off and stared at Tara for help.

"Since he was getting a bit?" Graham offered.

Buffy's neck cracked loudly, as she did a double take at the unusually non-communicative ex- Initiative soldier. "You...know?"

Graham nodded and gestured for them to follow him. As they walked, he carried on talking in a low voice. "Kinda hard not to notice he is covered in bites and, from the docs notes, some of them are… well… in inappropriate places."

Graham paused and his ears flushed red in embarrassment. "Sorry. Not the gentlemanly thing to do, right? Make with the indiscrete comments to the recent ex?"

"It's okay. Nothing I didn't know already." Buffy nodded her head firmly to emphasise how okay she was with the lack of Riley in her life. Tara was a silent-- but supportive-- presence next to her as they approached the Mental Health wing of the Sunnydale Memorial.

"Yeah, but kinda weird to go looking to get bit on purpose." Graham frowned at the dangers Riley had deliberately placed himself in. Being a well-trained soldier with knowledge of the demon world, he should've known better.

"I know, it's a whole thing. Giles, my Watcher, said that people have been paying to be bitten for centuries. There's a whole rush to it. Personally, I don't get it." Buffy thanked her lucky stars she couldn't blush; she knew exactly why Riley went shopping for a bite.

When Spike sank his fangs into her willing throat-- or any other part of her body-- it was amazing. Buffy rubbed her backside cautiously, wondering if Spike’s recent nibble would leave a scar. But with Spike it was done with love and visa versa, with Riley-- it was just sordid and kinda tacky. Also, the whole dry humping episode in the cemetery after discovering Buffy's newly undead status still grossed her out.

Graham looked down at the top of Buffy's head, a slight smile of surprise quirked his lips-- he'd forgotten how cute she could be. Goofy, but cute.

"Right, so Riley was visiting vamp whores for a bite and you dumped his ass?"

Buffy nodded. So the timing was kinda fudged but what Graham was saying was true. "Uh huh." She shrugged and stared over at the silent Tara who was looking anywhere but at the tall Soldier.

"Good for you; he was a liability. If he had been turned you would've had no idea - your family and friends would have been dead! The moment you said ‘come on in, honey…’" Graham shook his head in disbelief at Riley.

"Man, I knew Walsh had messed with his head, but not this bad. You okay?" He directed his question at the stupefied Buffy.

"Surprised, but okay. I never thought…"

"What? That a soldier would have a brain and could see different sides of the equation, realise Riley was in the wrong?" Graham shook his head at the two stunned women, a wry smile causing his face to wrinkle and his eyes to twinkle. "We're not all jarheads, Buffy. Some of us can have an opinion of our own."

"Sorry, but you know after the whole Initiative thing, you get kinda wary of anyone in commando gear." Buffy put on her best 'I'm a cute girl, forgive me’ face and was rewarded with another grin and a reassuring nod from Graham.

"I get it. Here we are.” Graham rested his hand on the door to the private room that Riley had been moved into. “Look, I should warn you, he's not really that great."

Buffy's sharp hearing could hear Riley mumbling something under his breath.

"What have the doctors found?" Tara asked with a faint quiver of nervousness to her voice.

"Well, multiple animal bites." Graham rolled his eyes at this. "As if they've not seen enough of those yet," he added sarcastically. Amazed at how the 'civililians' in Sunnydale rationalised anything supernatural into a wild animal or unfortunate barbeque fork in the neck attack. "And then the, you know."

"Making with the crazy?" Buffy supplied helpfully.

"Yeah, that. First they thought it was cos of all the bites and exposure, but now they have no clue." Graham leant over.

"The army docs have scanned him and they have a theory. Come on in so we can talk without being overheard and you can see Riley." The tall soldier pushed open the door and walked in.

Buffy and Tara hesitated at the threshold and then followed the man into the ward.

"Pretty, pretty...coming for the party." Riley's baritone voice broke the shocked silence.

"All very naughty. I told the damsels no! Enough, no more...tis not as sweet as it was before...but they took and took until the well was almost dry."

Riley rocked back and forth in his bed, his hands scratching at the multiple bite wounds that marred his chest. Blood seeped through the thick hospital gown as he re-opened the Bride's bite wounds.

He held his blood-soaked fingers up to his face. "No...no...not…good. The Warrior Queen will take away my privileges; must clean...must cover up. Hide away, hide...hide." Riley pulled his bedclothes over his head and began to hum a mindless tune.

Buffy exchanged a shocked glance with Tara at the sight of her ex babbling like a baby.

"What's with the double speak?" Buffy queried.

Graham glanced over at Riley's large form huddled under the covers, his expression a mixture of worry and anger.

"The doc's I brought have examined him, and apart from the obvious bite marks and near exsanguination, there is something wrong with his brain."

Tara stepped closer to the bed and her hand drifted over the blankets. Slowly she caught hold of the edge and pulled it away, revealing Riley's face. It was covered in tears and a Munch-like expression. She raised her hand and gently stroked his forehead, trying to ease the distress that vibrated off his entire form. She gazed intently at him, as if trying to see through the large soldier's head.

"What's she doing?" Graham whispered as he sidled up next to Buffy.

"His aura is shattered," Tara whispered. "Bits of it are missing. I can feel almost a faint electrical presence lingering here… and here." She placed her hands over the spots on either side of his head where Glory's fingers had penetrated.

"It feels wrong." She drew back and shook her hands, trying to loosen the tension that had seeped into them. "It's like his essence has been drawn out of him."

"Rather interesting that you can sense that through touch; it took my entire team and a MRI to ascertain the patient's condition. And you are?" A tall bespectacled man held out a hand to Tara his, white coat and educated demeanour all signalling he was a doctor.

Buffy stepped up next to Tara protectively.

Tara smiled briefly at Buffy and then shook the newcomer’s hand. "I'm a friend of Riley's." She released his hand and turned back to Buffy.

The Slayer was now staring down at Riley's shivering form, a mixture of guilt and sorrow filling her expressive eyes. Tara reached down and squeezed Buffy's hand, the silent Slayer clinging onto her friend's hand and anchoring herself.

***********

"I say!" Giles slammed on the brakes and pointed excitedly out the driver's window. "I think we found it!"

Spike peered around the excited man, narrowly avoiding being belted in the eye by a tweed-clad elbow. "Not one for a suburban semi, is he?" All three of them eyed the Gothic pile that Vlad the Impaler called his home.

Anya rolled her eyes and kept the unveiling spell going, her voice hoarse from the repetitive chant. Spike flicked a concerned glance over at the tiring girl and then nudged Giles. The ex-Watcher peered over his glasses at the annoying vampire next to him

"What?"

"Demon girl's getting a bit knackered, anything you can do to help? I know you've gotta bit of mojo in you. And before you get all huffy and try to polish a hole in your glasses, can smell it a mile off," Spike tapped the side of his nose.

Giles sighed and counted to ten. Again. He then looked over at the smirking git that his Slayer had taken up with and then silently asked the gods when he would be finished paying for his Egyon days. He was positive that Buffy had been placed on this earth to age him rapidly and help with his ever-decreasing hairline.

With a humph, Giles reached over and scrabbled through the glove box and pulled out a neatly folded map of Sunnydale. Giles fumbled in his pocket as Spike and Anya watched with great interest to see what sort of magical device he would produce to ensure that they would remember Drac's location.

With a twinkle in his eyes, Giles pulled out his battered and much used fountain pen. With a dramatic flourish he placed an X on the map and recapped his pen. "There we go; you can stop chanting now, Anya."

Spike stared at the map and then at Giles. "That's it?"

"Yes." Giles smiled smugly. He wasn't about to spoil his fun by revealing that he had incanted a spell of permanency on the mark, to Spike, as the look on his face was simply too entertaining.

Spike reached under the seat and handed over a bottle of Evian to Anya. She accepted it with a smile and a brief nod before gulping it down. It soothed her aching throat and refreshed her parched mouth.

"Ruddy disappointing, that." Spike refolded the map so that the marked section was facing up and squinted out the window. "Something’s happening over there." Spike nodded to the right side of the house.

Three scabby brown-robed minions scurried around the side and headed towards the street.

"Duck!" Giles hissed and yanked Spike down as Anya slid off her seat and crouched in the footwell.

"You arse!" Spike yelped as his forehead made contact with the dashboard with a sickening crunch.

"Shussh," Giles slapped his hand over Spike's mouth. Inwardly quailing at the image of a Watcher pressing his hand against a Vampire's mouth, he wondered if something such as this had ever happened.

"The mistress needs her shoes." A disembodied voice cut through Spike and Giles's antics. The three of them froze in the car.

"Yes, I know the most radiant Glorificus needs her dainty feet to be shod in only the finest, but where are we going to find Jimmy Choo's in Sunnydale?" another ratty voice replied.

Spike eye's flashed amber and his fangs started to drop; Giles felt the bones shifting in the vampire's face and hastily pulled his hand away. He watched as Spike's face flashed between its two incarnations.

"Well, we have to get them for the fragrantly scented one!" voice one replied filled with sycophantic agitation. There was a rustling of robes as the two of them scurried off.

"That was interesting." Anya straightened and started to pat her hair back into place she peered out the window and checked that the coast was clear.

"Drac's in bed with the Glory bint?" Spike snarled and vamped out. Giles sat up and watched as Spike ground his fangs together.

"I am sure he is. Dracula is drawn to powerful women. I remember a time during the Suez crisis when he…" Anya paused.

"Yeah? Wot happened?" Spike prodded.

"Um, well, you sure you want to hear this? Usually…" Anya was flustered at the lack of interruptions.

"Go on, Suez and Dracula?" Giles was fascinated. Sometimes he forgot how much Anya and Spike had witnessed; they had both seen and heard so much.

"Well, he found out what I was through a mutual friend and he pursued me from one end of the Mediterranean to the other. I did succumb in the end." Anya stopped here, aware that Spike may not want to hear of Dracula's prowess in bed.

Spike ground his fangs together even more; Giles muttered something under his breath and turned to stare out at the Mansion. He pondered the safety of taking a closer look, but before he could suggest it, he heard the passenger door click shut.

"He really has no impulse control at all!" Giles grumbled and followed after him.

"I'll stay here and act as a lookout," Anya called out quietly. She scrambled over the seat and took Giles's recently vacated position.

*********

"I apologize for any discomfort this may be causing. I really - can't imagine the pain."

Angel grimaced and clenched his fists, not pulling against the chains that held him positioned in front of the wall of stakes. "I die, she lives right?"

"Yes. I'm unaware of any deities the vampire worships, but if you'd like to pray," the man who was in charge of the trials pulled a lever and the stakes pulled back, spring-loaded into place. "Now would be the time."

"What are you waiting for?" Angel stared at the stakes.

"For you sir, I can't proceed without your permission. You've earned a choice. Accept your death so she may live or..."

"Or what?" Angel growled.

"Leave. Refuse the challenge and walk away. No one will stop you. Our doors are all open to you. You've done that yourself." The suited man replied honestly as he held his breath, hoping that the Champion for the Powers would indeed walk away in order to fight another day.

"What about…?" Angel panted.

"Oh, she dies," the major domo type replied dispassionately.

"No deal." Angel braced himself.

"No deal," the immobilised vampire growled out a second time.

"I expected as much. A pity. I'm beginning to like you." His captor sighed and Angel rolled his eyes

"Spare me."

"I'd very much like to." He stepped closer to Angel, curiosity lighting his eyes. "Do you mind if I ask you a question? Isn't the world a better place with you in it? You can save so many people. Why sacrifice yourself for this one? She doesn't even like you."

"You know better than anyone the world can be a very merciless place. If you sacrifice yourself for her, take yourself out, ensuring her life and what differences can she make? She is mortal – human and not a Champion - unlike you who fights for the Powers," he added as he watched Angel pull slightly against his chains

"I made a Blood oath," Angel answered simply. "It's my duty to help her no matter what the cost. I have no wish not to help her - she is family. I have no choice but to do all I can to help her," he sighed.

"No - you don't. Are you still ready to give her life at the cost of your own?" the Jeeves type asked.

"Yes," Angel replied firmly. He had made a promise…an oath.

"As you wish."

"Do it," Angel ordered.

The man nodded and released the stakes and watched sadly as they hurtled towards the vampire.

*********

The Brits ran low and fast across the neatly manicured lawn. They both came to a halt under a window and waited a beat before peering in.

The sight that was presented to them was a disconcerting one to say the least. Dracula and his two brides were indulging in a sexual game that made Spike wince and cover his delicates with a protective hand. "Makes your eyes water, don't it, mate?"

Giles stared, appalled at the sight of Dracula and the two vampiresses. "Why on earth are they bending it that way? That can't be good for it?"

Spike pulled the mesmerised man away and yanked him along to the next set of windows.

"Really Spike, why on earth would he let them pierce it there?" Giles glanced over his shoulder.

"Cos it hurts so good. What am I? The vamp equivalent of Dr Ruth?” Spike replied absently as he yanked Giles down into a crouch. "What are you acting like a scandalised virgin for? Not like all you trainee Watchers don't have a giggle and a fiddle over engravings in The Vampyre?" Spike snorted and peeked over the windowsill. “I know I did.”

“Really? You’ve read it?” Giles stared in surprise at Spike.

“Yeah, and the Slayer’s handbook – not a knuckle dragging illiterate here. Why?” Spike scented the air, trying to locate Glory and also refrained form listing William’s academic achievements.

He paused and then looked back into the window.

"That's the bint." Spike glared at Glory who was mid rant at yet another of her rat faced followers.

"Terrible hair!" Giles leaned forward to get a better look at the Hell god that had beaten Buffy so easily and stumbled, falling against the window with a resounding clatter.

"You're the arse, not me!" Spike growled as he pulled Giles away, just as the window shattered and Glory leapt out.

"Move it, Grandad!" Spike pulled Giles along with him as he scarpered, unwilling to get his balls handed to him on a Glory shaped platter again. .

"Ahh!" Giles was pulled backwards and away from Spike, his head narrowly missing a tree trunk.

Spike span and reached for Giles who was being embraced by one of the Brides, her fangs dangerously close to the struggling Watcher's jugular. “Oh, good show, Giles. Uhh... at least you didn't get knocked out for a change. You must be one of the remaining Brides? Fascinating, under less fang filled circumstances I would say it was delightful… Um…where's your Master?"

"Ohh, he's around here somewhere," the Bride snarled around her fangs. She tightened her grip on Giles and leant in for a bit, her back to the action – she was confident of Glory’s success.

Spike's head snapped around as Glory's fist made impact; he flipped backwards to avoid her next blow.

There was a roar of a car engine and then the screech of brakes. Glory bellowed in pain as Giles's car pinned her against the Castle wall.

Spike stared in awe as Anya leant out of the car window and fired a crossbow at Giles's captor and yelled for the two of them to get in.

The bolt unerringly found it's mark and with a whimper the Bride crumpled to dust before Spike's very satisfied eyes. Giles fell forward and hit the grass heavily. Spike reached over and grabbed him by the back of his jacket, opened the car door and threw Giles onto the back seat. The blond vampire then flung himself on top of Giles.

"Drive!" he bellowed.

"In a moment!" Anya screamed back as she flicked through the spell book Giles had given her to use earlier. "Where is it - where is it! Ah ha - Got it!" Anya screamed out some words, at the same time throwing the book over her shoulder, hitting Giles on the temple and knocking him out. He collapsed without even a whimper under Spike's body.

A flash of blue light enveloped the pinned figure of Glory and washed back into the mansion to blast Dracula and her remaining Bride. Slamming the car in reverse, the ex-demon hit the accelerator and shot off.

"Watch out for the mailbox!" Spike screamed as Anya steered erratically down the road. He clambered over and collapsed into the passenger seat. "Save our bloody lives from the hellgod and the vampire, only to do us in in a bleeding road traffic accident. That is not the way William the Bloody is going out."

"I did save you, didn't I?" Anya asked perkily, her eyes glued to the road.

"That you did. Right good job of it you did as well, pet." Spike glanced back at Giles, who was still sleeping the sleep of the unconscious.

"Thank you. I was worried I would be injured or die." She glanced over at Spike. "You're not injured, are you? Buffy will not be happy if I return you in less than perfect condition."

"M'fine, pet. Good move using the motor. Wot was that ditty you cast?" Spike reached into his pockets and pulled out a cigarette, figuring Giles was out for the count; he lit it and puffed away happily.

"Something to make them forget us," Anya squeaked as she narrowly missed a parked car. Spike reached over and steadied the wheel.

"Nice idea, pet, but Drac's going to notice one of his birds are missing." Spike inhaled a deep drag of nicotine and puffed out a series of smoke rings.

"No, it's a mutable spell. As far as they are concerned, they were attacked. That, I couldn't change, but what I could do was cloud their minds as to who it was. As far as they are concerned, it was a rival of Dracula's and nothing more-- a Clan skirmish."

"Not bad, Anya, not bad at all." Giles pulled himself up and rubbed the side of his temple gingerly. "Thank you for saving me. I must say, you're very adept with the crossbow."

"Well, she would be you nit, what with coming from the medieval times!" Spike chuntered.

Giles reached over and plucked the cigarette from Spike's fingers, took a puff and then flicked it expertly out the open window. "Don't smoke in my car, Spike."

"Yes, dad."

"Oh, do stop it!" Giles exclaimed.
Chapter 26 by Schehrezade
Glory dialogue taken from Checkpoint – and played with to fix the plot – forgive me JW!!

A massive HUG for Megan for betaing this chapter when she was snowed under with writing – SQUISH!!!

Italics = Thoughts


"Were is she?" Spike burst through the Magic Box door and spotted Tara sitting at the research table immersed in a letter.

Giles and Anya followed closely on his heels.

Spike ignored Giles whining at Anya about the scratches all down one side of his new car. Her retort to his less than manly whimpering was that she had saved his life and he owed her.

Tara looked up tiredly from the letter she was reading. It was from Willow; Tara having found it in amongst the letters behind the till. Anya had put it away safely that morning when it had arrived.

Spike slid to a halt at the look of concern on Tara's face.

"What happened?" he asked gently, his nostrils flaring as he scented Riley on Tara.

"It wasn't pretty." Tara tried to verbalise what she and Buffy had witnessed in the ward and struggled for the right words.

"Whitebread never was," Spike muttered as he sank down in the chair next to Tara. "Come on, luv, don't keep us hanging. What happened?"

Anya whispered to Giles and then disappeared out the shop door.

The older man hovered behind the till, keeping an eye on the door and listened to Spike coaxing out the news from Tara.

"Spike, she just ran off. I tried to stop her but she was too strong. I think, no, I know that seeing Riley in the state he was really shocked her."

"State? What has happened to the boy?" Giles leaned on the counter and stared expectantly at the girl.

"I tried to see… it felt like all his essence had been drawn from him. There was some sort of electrical imbalance. The doctor that Graham brought with him thinks that he might be able to help Riley."

"Graham?" Spike interrupted.

"One of Riley's friends from the Initiative," Tara explained softly. Spike tried to suppress the prickling of anger that shot through him. The Initiative where around and near Buffy? He growled quietly, trying not to burst into a fear-fuelled bout of pure ire.

Tara laid a hand on his arm, surprising him with her bravery at touching an un-chipped and extremely agitated Master Vampire. Her eyes bore into his and she quirked the corner of her mouth. "No need to worry, they have no idea about Buffy. I zapped her with a little warmth and they never knew."

“That worked out nicely then…." Spike stared in surprise at Red's girl. She was a revelation. Every time he thought he had her pegged, she threw a curve ball and shocked the hell out of him. He narrowed his eyes and wondered if she was a mind reader or something.

"Excellent idea. Last thing we need is the apparently not-so defunct Initiative discovering that Buffy has been turned-- that would be too much of a temptation for them." Giles nodded approvingly at Tara for her quick thinking.

Tara nodded, "Buffy was upset by the state Riley was in. He was covered in vampire bites, head to toe. I snuck a look at his charts and it seems that the vamps that got a hold of him had nearly bitten off his...his...um…" Tara gestured at Spike’s lap.

Both men inhaled deeply and loudly, and then reflexively covered their groins.

Spike suppressed a teeny smirk at the thought of Riley having his dangly bits chomped off.

"Oh my! Poor man," Giles exclaimed.

"Yeah, heartbreaking really," Spike added unconvincingly, earning a look of rebuke from Tara. "Wot? So I'm not tossing ashes on my head and weeping over Cap’ Cardboard’s near Bobbiting."

Giles failed to suppress the snort of laughter, and to everyone's utter surprise he started to giggle uncontrollably.

Anya clattered back in carrying several bags of take out and juggling a tray of coffees. She stopped, stupefied. "You broke Giles! What did you do to him? Fix him!"

Giles braced his hands on his knees and guffawed with laughter.

Anya looked from one to the other, "what's so funny?"

"A Vamp tried to bite off Riley's bits and bobs," Spike chortled.

"Oh, well now I understand Spike's mirth. A fitting end to something that Buffy had experienced first hand. Good news - no more feelings of jealousy, right Spike?" Anya nodded and began to unpack the food. She leaned over to Spike, "No great loss for womankind, I hear!" she smiled and winked at Spike. He suppressed a snort of laughter at her cheeky comment.

"Where's Buffy?" Anya asked as she pulled out the second container of blood and noticed that her friend was not there.

"Still waiting to find out about that!" Spike turned to Tara.

"So...so...sorry, she said she needed to think. I tried to stop her but she was too fast."

"When and which way?" Spike prodded gently, worry starting to fill him. Their run in with Glory had him concerned for all of their safety and no one should be on their own right now.

"Few minutes ago and off to the left. Spike, she was really shaken by Riley's condition. You know what she's like," Tara sighed. "And you know how fast she can move-- I couldn't catch up!"

Spike nodded grimly, "Yeah, silly bint'll be blaming herself about that wanker now."

Giles sat down and helped himself to a sandwich and some coffee. "If I know Buffy. She will be concerned that his involvement in her life resulted in Riley's current predicament. You say that the Initiative have taken him to their base?"

"Yes, they are going to try an fix whatever was done to him. But they have no basis for their research, they have no idea how this happened," Tara added worriedly.

"We can only hope that there is a cure." Giles handed Tara a cup of green tea with a gentle smile.

"Tara, did they tell you I saved them from Glory and Dracula?" Anya interrupted excitedly.

Spike rose. "You lot got the wards up, right?" He gestured to the exterior of the shop. Tara and Giles had spent several hours incanting projection and warning spells around the shop, Spike and Buffy's place, as well as their own homes.

All three of them nodded, and watched as Spike shot out into the night to find Buffy.

"You saved Giles and Spike? How?" Tara turned to Anya with a slight grin.

"Well, I was waiting in the getaway car and saw that Giles was about to be eaten and Spike pulverised. Did we mention that Glory and Dracula are working together? Very disappointing of Drac to side with someone so obviously demented. Anyway, I saw that they were in trouble so I rammed Glory with the car and shot the Bride about to chow down on Giles with that nifty little crossbow. You know, the one I found on Ebay."

********

Spike loped down Main Street. To the passer-by he looked like a normal human being, albeit a very good-looking one. But unknown to the casual observer, Spike was using all his vampiric senses to track down his missing childe.

There was a faint trace scent of her heading south and Spike turned and shot down the street, chasing after his girl. Her usual scents were intermingled with shock and a touch of guilt. He rumbled deep in his chest and began to walk faster and faster. Ignoring the twinges of jealousy he was feeling and focussing instead on Buffy.

***********

Buffy sank into the armchair and curled her legs under her, pulling her Mom's throw around her for comfort. The house was so still, almost lifeless without Mom or Dawn around. She missed them both. The daily calls weren't enough, and she was tempted to get Spike to drive her down to LA for a visit. But then reminded herself why they were there and not at home.

Glory.

Buffy curled up even tighter and was severely tempted to pull the throw over her head and pretend nothing was going on.

But it was.

Riley was a drooling vegetable.

Dawn was in danger.

And Spike was covering up something.

Something big which, when she found out what it was, he was going to be so much dust!

Buffy stared sightlessly at the framed picture her Mom had left out on her desk of the three of them. Her mind was filled with images of Riley and his bite-strewn body. She had barely been able to look at him let alone speak to Graham, the doctor or Riley. Instead, she had clung to Tara and let them discuss her ex and his situation. Buffy's hand crept into her slacks pocket and fingered the card Graham had given her containing his contact numbers. She had dumbly taken it and nodded as Graham had promised he'd keep her apprised of Riley's condition, and to call him no matter what time if she needed to talk.

"Long day, sweetie?

Buffy's eyes widened at the sight of Glory strolling into her home without any hindrance. She then slumped, remembering that they hadn't placed any wards here as Mom and Dawn were not in Sunnydale.

"So this is where the Slayer eats, sleeps, and ...combs her hair?" Glory trailed her finger over the desk as if checking for dust.

"Oh..." she picked up the same photo that Buffy had been staring at seconds ago.

"So cute!" She tossed the photo frame aside casually, not even flinching when the glass shattered. "I can't even stand it." She turned to look at the fireplace. Buffy slowly uncoiled and reached for a stake she had tucked in her waistband

"Personally? I need more space, but uh, this is good for you, it's, it's so quaint, and..." Glory flashed around and appeared behind Buffy plucking the stake out of the Slayer's hand.

"If I wanted to fight, you could tell by the being dead already." Glory flopped into an armchair and fiddled with the stake she had confiscated. "So play nice, little girl.

Buffy's hands clenched into small fists, "What do you want?"

"The key. Why else do you think I'd come here? See," Glory pointed the stake at Buffy. “I think you know where it is. And that's a good thing.”

"I'm glad you think so," Buffy dryly replied.

"Well, it's the only thing keeping you alive right now. Because you may be tiny queen in vampire world... but to me, you're a bug. You should get down on your knees and worship me!"

"Bollocks to that. She's a goddess in the vampire world, you ratty haired bint." Spike leaned against the arch leading into the front room. His calm demeanour belied the frantic rush he had been in prior to entering the Summers’ house. Halfway to Revello Drive he had picked up Glory's scent following Buffy's and had thrown caution to the wind and raced here.

For a brief second, Glory's imperious expression slipped and her hands shot to her hair, a pout trembling on her lips.

Visions of Buffy being beaten to a pulp again by the Hell god filled his terrified mind and he fell into protect mode. "Stay away from her you bint, or I'll make you bleed and beg for death," he threatened, ignoring Buffy's shushing motions..

"Aww it's the boy toy with a waaaay over inflated opinion of himself." Glory flipped her hair and turned back to Buffy. "You better warn your little friend who mashed me against the wall that Dracula is not happy with her!"

“Huh?” A small frown marred Buffy’s forehead, she turned to Spike wondering what the hell had happened earlier. But before Spike could explain himself Glory spoke.

"Where's my key, Slayer?" Glory demanded, dismissing Spike's presence with a wave of her manicured hand as she focused instead on Buffy.

Buffy shook her head, "No idea."

"Sod off why don't you?" Spike added for good measure. He watched as Buffy moved slowly closer and closer to him, his muscles tensed ready to fight or flee - whichever she decided.

"Ooh, I like him. He's sassy." Glory paused for a moment and then a look of malice crossed her face. "He was so nearly mine earlier, if it hadn't been for that bitch driving me into a wall!"

"And I'll kill him. I'll kill your mom, I'll kill your friends ... and I'll make you watch when I do," she sighed dramatically. "Just give me the key. You either have it or you know where to find it."

She stood up and tossed the stake causally at Buffy, who caught it reflexively.

"Obviously, this is a one-time-only deal. Next time we meet, something you love dies bloody. You know you can't take me. You know you can't stop me."

With that, Glory brushed past them and headed off into the night.

"I'll give Drac your love, shall I?" Her words echoed mockingly behind her as she disappeared.

***********

"Fucking hell!" Spike slammed the door shut, knowing it was a purely symbolic action, but he needed to do something before he flipped out. The fear that had seized him from the moment he had scented the Hellbitch was now in full throttle - there was little either of them could do against Glory and it was emasculating the hell out of him.

As per usual.

Buffy reached over and gently brushed the glass off the photo of her, Dawn and their mother. The shards of fine glass, nicking her fingertips and small beads of blood seeped out of the cuts. She pulled away from the photo and licked her fingers, sealing the cuts.

"She nearly had you? Spike what have you been up to?" Her voice was deceptively calm; so relaxed was her body that Spike froze and waited for the meltdown. He was an adept at reading women and the blond vampire knew hell was about to be unleashed on him in the form of his very pissed off girl.

'I'm well and truly screwed here no matter what I say.' Spike pasted on his best ‘please forgive me for placing myself in mortal danger’ look on his face and slowly batted his lashes at his fuming girl. "She didn't hurt you did she, love?" Spike waited with baited breath.

Buffy shook her head, "Nope, she didn't hurt me. What about you and the others? I thought it was strictly recon?" She folded her arms under her breasts and tapped the toe of one of her well-shod feet impatiently.

Spike sheepishly shuffled his feet, secretly gladdened by her possessive nature and worry of his well being - even though they were together and had declared themselves to each other, he was still unsure. His demon kept tickling around his conscious, prodding and pushing for him to claim his childe. So far, Spike had suppressed the natural urge; he wasn't sure if Buffy was ready for the final step. He knew he was, but was she?

"Well?" Buffy growled, not buying the cute behaviour. After seeing the state Riley had been in because of her involving him in her supernatural world and making him feel inadequate, she was dammed if she was going to let Spike play chicken with death. She was determined not to let anyone else get hurt because of her, and she knew Spike had only been out searching for Dracula because he wanted to help her.

"Wasn't me! It was Anya! She crushed the lopsided arse against Drac's place and she dusted one of Dracula's birds with that nifty little crossbow, you know?"

"Yeah, the one she found on Ebay," Buffy interrupted dismissively. "That still doesn't explain the whole ‘lets taunt the Hell god and scare Buffy into thinking Glory was gonna waste you!’" Buffy eyed Spike possessively. She sauntered over to Spike, a sultry sway to her hips, and then just as he was lulled into a sense of security, her hand whipped out and grabbed hold of his balls through the denim.

"These are mine!" she growled, her fangs dropping and her eyes flashing to lavender.

Spike's eyes rolled back in his head and his jaw dropped, a long moan whispering out of his mouth as Buffy gave Spike Junior a good squeeze and a hearty fondle. Spike knew the look in her eyes; she was hurting and wanted to shag to make it better and there was no way he was going to be her sex toy – well, not on these terms.

He stepped away, "Buffy, luv, not like this. Lets talk." Spike rolled his eyes as the words came out of his mouth. He sounded like a trashy TV psychiatrist talk show host! Spike was dammed if he was going to let her use him as an interactive dildo - something to scratch the itch and make her forget her worries. Not without calling her on it. 'Defending his somewhat dubious virtue from his girl?' he smirked. He wasn't one to say no, but to be used like this by her--by his Slayer-- was not sitting right in his gut.

"What about, the Hell god who just sauntered in here and gave me an ultimatum - tell or I kill everyone you love? Or was it the visit to the hospital you wanted to talk over? How I just froze and stared at the drooling mess that was my ex? And how it's all my bad, cos Riley only went to get bit so he could be darker for me? Oh! Or is because my idiot sire of a boyfriend decided to not be with all the observyness but instead pick a fight with Glory and Dracula and whoever the hell else he could find?” Buffy roared and then whirled and stomped out of the front room and upstairs.

Spike stood stock still, listening to Buffy muttering under her breath about stupid male egos and how they needed to pick a fight with anything that would fight back. He cocked his head as he heard Buffy go into her recently vacated bedroom and slam the door. 'So much for standing up for yourself. Now she's in an even more rotten mood.'

He rocked on his heels and thrust his hands in his duster pockets, his fingers brushing against the box that had lain forgotten there for so long.

Curious, he pulled it out and opened it. A smile brushed across his lips at the contents. He closed it reverently and stashed it back in his pocket. 'Need to make amends with the bint. Not good for the digestion, all this drama.

Spike knew that the Riley issue would have to be addressed - hopefully to Guam, along with the nit who got in his way for too many years. He also knew that he wasn't the only one she was going to have a 'go' at for scrapping with Glory and the Vamps. Giles was going to get it in the neck; a sound erupted out of Spike that sounded suspiciously like a giggle. He knew that with Buffy her anger was just a way of her expressing how worried she was about their safety.

She loved them all. ‘Has a big heart, my girl…’

There was a loud crash from above. Instinct propelled his heavily booted feet up the stairs, her name fading from his lips as he kicked the door open with a snarl.

Buffy span around with an answering growl and vamped out.

Spike scanned the room for intruders and found only a broken lampbase that she had thrown against the wall in a fit of pique.

He was on autopilot, ready to protect his childe, and instead she stood there with a feral look in her eyes and growled challengingly. The atmosphere in the small room was charged with anger, possessiveness and a sultry undertone of sexual arousal. One that was vibrating off Buffy in waves of intoxicating scents that called to his demon. All control lost, Spike vamped out and growled warningly at the minx who was standing her ground against him.

Buffy flashed her fangs at Spike and with salacious flicks of her tongue, she toyed with her fangs, purposely slicing it and letting the crimson drops of blood scent the air. She purred coyly at him and fluttered her lashes, her slim hands making short work of her shirt. Naked from the waist up, she swayed towards him.

Spike whimpered. He was fighting a losing battle; he knew he shouldn't succumb, but the siren in front of him had other ideas. He was supposed to be stopping her from using him for sex to forget her worries. But when she toyed with her nipples like that, who could deny her? His cock lurched in his jeans and hardened at the sight of one of her hands sliding down the front of her slacks.

Spike's hands clenched into fists, the mantra of ‘be strong’ stuck on repeat in his mind. He tried desperately to resist reaching out for her and ripping off the rest of her clothes. His moral high ground was rapidly vanishing as the first button of her slacks was popped open with one manicured fingernail. His cock twitched in anticipation and his nipples tightened.

Buffy looked up through her lashes and with her free hand pulled the tie from her hair and shook her head. Her long hair settled on her shoulders and tickled the tops of her grapefruit sized breasts. Taking in the mesmerised look on her sire's face, a throaty chuckled erupted from her.

Spike's amber eyes were riveted to her bobbling breasts and the perky nipples that were calling to him. His mouth watered and his brain shut down. Instead, all he could hear was the new mantra of 'get the girl', over and over.

Buffy shimmied out of her slacks and stood clad only in a thong, which she toyed with as she licked her lips. Smearing blood over them, their cherry redness calling to Spike. His tongue flickered across his dry lips as he slowly began to relax his hands; they hung loosely at his sides. 'Two can play this game, if she's so determined for a shag, least I can do is make it a good un.'

With a rasping snarl, Spike shrugged out of his duster, which pooled at his feet. He yanked off his T-shirt and with a smirk that revealed his fangs he ran a hand over his defined pecs, and looped his thumb in his waistband. Fanning his fingers over his erect cock, he casually drummed the tight denim. Each little tap of his fingers sending a jolt of pleasure up his spine.

Turning and walking towards the window, Spike ignored the purr of enticement from the little tease. He pulled the curtains open and scanned the street, checking that the coast was clear. The moonlight flooded the room; his pale chest was gleaming in the silvery light. Spike rested an arm against the frame and deliberately tensed the muscles in his back, giving Buffy a show.

Buffy took in the pretty view with an appreciative glance and then curled her lip up, 'enough with the playing’. She ripped off her thong and threw it at Spike.

Spike turned and caught her offering deftly with one hand; he raised them up and sniffed them before tucking the frilly scrap of nothing into his jean pocket. He decided to return the favour and within seconds was standing naked, one hand idly pumping his cock as he lazily perused Buffy. He may be ready to play, but he had one more weapon in his arsenal to shift her out of her ‘lets shag like crazed minks to make me feel less guilty’ mood.”

“Love you, pet…”

And with those whispered words the entire atmostsphere of the room changed. Gone was Buffy’s need to screw to make herself feel better. Instead, it was replaced with anticipation.

She drew in a gulping breath. “Oh.”

“Yeah,” Spike nodded and smiled around his fangs.

She raised a shaking hand towards him, beckoning him to her arms and her willing body.

Spike slinked over to his trembling girl and pulled her into his arms. Buffy’s hands curled around his shoulders as she sank into his arms – drawing strength from his embrace.

Their lips met and they devoured each other’s mouths, heedless of their fangs as they tore into each other.

Blood dripped between them from their cut lips coating their necks. Drops of the crimson fluid splattered across Buffy’s breasts. Spike pulled away and watched as the scarlet drops slid downwards. His mouth watered and his demon pushed to the fore. Dipping his head, Spike’s tongue lapped at their combined blood. A purr erupted from Buffy’s lips and they fell backwards onto her childhood bed.

Their bodies twisted and turned on the mattress as they re-visited familiar pleasure points on each other’s bodies – ones that they had learned from their previous carnal games.

Both of them were lost in the rapture of their lovemaking. Their combined purrs and growls painted the silence of the night with their presence.

There was a hint of feralness to their coming together, but underlying it all was a tenderness that balanced it out.

Seconds of bliss turned into minutes as they ravaged each other’s bodies.

A low guttural moan slipped past Buffy’s panting lips as Spike slid into her over sensitised body. Her nails scoured welts along Spike’s sides as her hands grasped at his hips, trying to anchor herself against the storm of euphoria that Spike filled her with as he thrust into her over and over. Her hands scrabbled up and her sharp nails drew blood.

Unable to delay her completion a second longer, she was greedy for everything Spike had to offer, Buffy sank her fangs into Spike’s pale throat and she drank deeply and greedily.

Spike’s hips bucked against hers as he felt her fangs enter his throat and her channel pulsing as she came over and over. Her inner walls captured his cock within her, holding him as a willing prisoner in her welcoming depths.

His sharp fangs pierced her neck and he drank.

Spike’s toes curled as a jolt of electricity shot down his spine and into his balls and he erupted with a muffled howl.

*******

Buffy woke to the sound of Spike involved in a whispered conversation on his phone. She was curled around him, one arm tossed over his stomach and the other bent under her head.

“So you went to some demon place and did what?” Spike hissed quietly.

Buffy kept her eyes shut and focused hard on the faint voice at the other end of the phone. Her vampiric hearing easily picking out Angel’s voice – he sounded tired and in pain. ‘Finally…might be able to find out what Spike’s been so sneaky about.’ She deliberately kept her body lax so as not to clue in her oblivious sire as to her consciousness.

“So you passed and what?” Spike questioned softly, trying not to alert his sleeping girl to the conversation. It was one he had been hoping for, as well as praying to whatever watched over semi-reformed former Big Bads.

“You sacrificed yourself for her? Mustn’t have worked seeing that you and I are having a confab,” he retorted.

“It did? Right…so was another test…you passed?” Spike shifted slightly, his attention piqued. “So Mum’s alright, not sickly anymore?”

Panic filled Buffy and was followed swiftly by a hot rage. An all encompassing one, directed at Spike and Angel for keeping something so vital a secret from her. Her Mom had been sick? A growl erupted from her throat before she could stop it.

Spike’s body froze at the sound.

“Peaches, need to get back to you.” With that he snapped the phone shut and dropped it on the nightstand. “Slayer?” his voice was tentative.

The sound of him addressing her triggered Buffy into moving and with a fluid roll she pulled away from him and sat with her back to him. She rose without speaking and jerkily dressed, her back still facing Spike.

“Luv, talk to me, please.” Spike knelt on the bed and reached for her rigid back.

“Don’t touch me!” she snarled in a hurt-filled voice.

“Please don’t do this, pet – talk to me!” Spike stood and yanked on his discarded jeans and stomped into his boots.

“Don’t do what? Be mad cos you lied to me? Hid something as important as my…mom…as mommy’s health?” her voice trailed off with a sob and Buffy turned slowly to face him.

Anger and rejection emanating from her small frame, her shoulder’s hunched protectively, trying to shield herself from the perceived deception from the one person she had never expected it from. Spike always told her the truth, even before they had become lovers, even when they had been enemies. It may have hurt, but he had always been frank with her.

Spike moved towards her, his hands outstretched to calm her-- to comfort her.

“Don’t.” Her hand raised in a slashing movement.

“We couldn’t tell you,” Spike tried to explain.

“Tell me what exactly?” Buffy asked in an icy voice.

Spike sighed, his fingers twitching towards his pocket. He needed a fag more than ever.

“Tell me! Tell me what you and Angel decided not to tell me – lemme guess, it was for the best, right? Keep Buffy in the dark again, protect her again…” she growled and slipped on her shoes. “You know how old that is getting?”

“No! Don’t, luv. We only knew that something was off with her; she didn’t smell right. Peaches noticed before I did and told me…” Spike tried to explain. He could see he was fighting a losing battle; Buffy was getting crosser by the second.

“So you had a group sniff of my Mom?” she asked sarcastically.

Spike sighed deeply and ran his fingers through his dishevelled hair. How had they gone from the sublime to the all out fury that now filled the room?

“Is she okay now?” for a brief moment Buffy let the anger leave her face and her eyes filled with tears and her lower lip trembled as she tried to suppress the tears. She failed and they poured down her face unchecked.

Spike’s entire being ached to comfort her and he stepped towards her, only for Buffy to step backwards away from him-- which wounded him deeply. “She’s as fit as a fiddle now, I swear on my love for you.”

Buffy nodded briefly and then a harsh laugh erupted out of her, “Your love for me? Some love, you big fat liarhead!” she exclaimed brittley

“Oi, enough…none of that!” Spike’s anger peaked abruptly. She had no grounds to doubt his undying love for her – no matter how much she thought he had messed up. He had been trying to spare her any more worries; with Glory and Drac in Sunnyhell, he had been determined to not add to her stress. The blond vampire had been worried that if his childe had known about her Mum, then Buffy might’ve gotten sloppy on patrol or in a fight and been hurt, or even worse, killed. That had been the motivating factor behind his and Angel’s subterfuge.

“Yeah, you’re right it’s enough.” Buffy shouted and turned, disappearing out of her window and into the night.

“Bollocks!” Spike threw his duster on over his naked torso and launched himself out after her. Fear filling him for her safety. In the state of mind she was in now--the exact same one he had been trying to avoid by not telling her about Joyce-- he was worried she’d get hurt or worse, dusted.

*******

Buffy easily outstripped Spike as she ran down the empty streets of Sunnydale. She ran with no mind to where she was going. Only wanting to out run the deception Spike had been a party to.

He had done the one thing she had never expected him to do.

He had lied to her – okay, a lie by omission, but still it was a great big honking fib.

Tears still ran down her cheeks, drying in the wind as she ran at super human speeds.
Her feet pounded out an unrelenting rhythm as Buffy tried to get away from it all. Only to be stopped by a tree root, tripping her. and Stumbling, Buffy managed to stay upright.

“I’ve been waiting for you…” A chillingly familiar voice echoed out of the darkness. One she had not wanted to hear ever again.

A/N dun dun dun Cliffhanger anyone???
Chapter 27 by Schehrezade
Spike ran, his heavily booted feet thudding against the sidewalk. He extended his senses; searching for Buffy again. Twice in one evening he had been filled with panic, chasing around after her on the streets of Sunnydale. His duster whirled behind him, it's inky blackness gleaming under the streetlights. Spike's bare chest on display for anyone to appreciate; his sharply defined stomach muscles flexed as he panted unnecessarily.

Mentally he railed at himself for being a secretive git-- he should haven been up front with Buffy from the moment he had scented Joyce. He still didn't understand why he had been all cloak and dagger. Usually he was in your face and not couching the truth with pretty words. But this was Buffy, his Slayer and love of his unlife, and the need to protect his childe was instinctive.

Spike grimaced at the memory of the embrace with Joyce and the first inhalation of the scent-- and all the secrets it carried with it. The odour of incipient decay still lingered in his nostrils and coated the back of his throat with its sweet cloying taste. It sickened him - filled him with terror and sorrow. He hated Joyce for reminding him that mortals were fragile beings, that they were helpless in the face of some diseases and even more powerless in the face of death.

The ever-present spectre in a mortal's life. But this mortal was Buffy's Mum.

That was why Angel had fought against the odds to save her - to eek out a few more years for Joyce on this mortal coil. All for one person, the pain in the arse childe that he was chasing after with his dead heart in this throat.

He tried to ignore the spasms of hurt that were thudding through his body; her fury at what they had done made him ache and not in a good way. All they had been doing was trying to protect her from more stress-- he and Angel. Because he loved her, and so did Angel. Spike mentally retched at the fact he had acknowledged the enormous Poofter's love for Buffy. He would have to scrub out his mind with some marathon sessions of shagging Buffy to recover – well, if she let him near her divine bod ever again, Spike ruefully amended.

Until he had come to Sunnydale, his only concern for humans and their limited life spans was how long they'd last once he got his fangs into them. Extend their life by sipping at their fear tainted blood so as to prolong his pleasure. Until Buffy and her coterie of friends and family, humans had never been anything but food.

Since he had been turned, he had never worried about a mortal's health. Well, except for the one time. Spike's mind shied away from the taboo subject of his mother. Even now over a century later her cruel, disgusting and mocking words filled his mind with horror. That monster had not been his gentle sweet mum - but at the end, when he finally staked her, the look in her eyes had been so familiar that every now and then, when he allowed himself to think about it, Spike was filled with terror. Had that been his mum? Or the demon that had tried to shag him? And if it had been his mum - then god help her.

Something tweaked at the edges of his senses – thankfully, pulling his mind away from the memories of his Mum and her attempt to seduce him.

It was Buffy.

Someone was with her - someone she really didn't want to be anywhere near. Spike's feet carried him on in the direction of his girl.

*******

"I have been wondering when we would meet again. I sensed your much anticipated return to the Hellmouth - that evening was enlightening viewing," he added snidely.

Buffy blinked. He had been perving over her and Spike? A sickness blossomed in the pit of her stomach that the Master vampire infront of her had been witness to their lovemaking.

The calm tenor of his voice belied the jealousy and anger he felt towards both the Aurelian vampires for their intimate and loving relationship - one he had witnessed first hand. One he had watched with obsessive intensity, envy filling his entire undead being; he had never experienced what Spike and Buffy had. He had berated himself over and over for giving his prize up so quickly. The love, the depth of emotional connection and the joy they took in each other. Instead, he experienced only fleeting moments of pleasure at the hands of his victims - only achieved through his thralling of them. Only his Brides offered themselves willingly - and now he was left with only
one.

Buffy stood on the balls of her feet ready, to attack or flee? It depended on what the evil being in front of her did. Fear and anger fought for a place in her heart as her mind ticked over the potential escape routes - she wasn't strong enough to fight him. Not now, not after discovering the duplicity of her sire and great-grandsire. And Buffy hated herself for the weakness; she had hoped that the first time she came across the vampire would be his last. But now she was unsure of herself, her emotions getting the better of her fighting ability and mental control.

"Nothing to say to me, pretty one?" Dracula teased. He cut a striking figure as he stood on top of a crumbling mausoleum, his dark clothes adding to the mystic that he worked so hard to promote. His long silky cloak swung in the evening breeze; he had chosen his spot well. Behind him was a full moon - a silver disc that he stood in the centre of --heightening his dramatic impact. It was one that failed to impress Buffy. Maybe at first there has been a mini ‘eeeeh, it's Dracula’, but now, after everything he had done to her, nothing would make her even the vaguest bit interested.

Buffy dragged in an unnecessary deep breath. She vamped out and stared cautiously at the instrument of her turning. She felt nothing for him at all - no connection. Not anymore. Not since Spike had saved her. She could feel a deep connection to Spike and a familial one to Angel; Buffy wondered if she would feel like that with other vamps that were scions of the House of Aurelius.

'Focus on the drama Queen posing on the crypt, and not on whether or not Aunty Dru will be happy to see you!' Buffy's mouth made a small moue of disgust at the thought of Dru being happy to see her - she imagined that the nutty vampire would probably do something weird like make her have a tea party with Miss Edith or something lame like that. Well, after the catfight she would try and have with her for taking Spike from her.

As if! It had been mutual takage.

"Ahhh, such deep thoughts. Really, you should not worry that pretty head of yours with thoughts." Dracula smiled evilly at Buffy.

"Geez, join the 21st Century, why don't you?" Buffy’s strong voice covering up the massive attack of nerves she was in the throes of. All she could see in her mind’s eye was Dracula's naked body moving over hers - his hand touching her breasts and sliding down her stomach and between her thighs, pushing them apart. Revealing her intimate secrets to his jaded and knowing gaze. She wanted to puke - fall down and start crying. But there was no way she would let herself… not in front of him. Instead, she jutted her chin out stubbornly and growled faintly.

Dracula's face darkened at her overt challenge. "Stop that, Childe," he ordered. He jumped down and landed smoothly in front of Buffy. His proximity started to make her even more uncomfortable and he smiled cruelly at the scent of fear, that flooded the night around her.

Buffy took a mini step back, trying to reclaim her personal space and damning herself for needing too, knowing she had broadcast her weakness to the Master vampire. She growled again, just to show him that his orders meant nothing to her. She was not his Childe anymore, and never would be again. His mind tricks would have no effect on her either, thanks to Kendra's whammy.

"You know something?" Dracula purred as he drank in the luscious sight of her body and the scents of terror that filled the night air. He tried to ignore the combined spending of her and the mongrel Spike.

Buffy worried her lower lip with a fang and cocked her head.

"You owe me." Dracula's thickly accented voice floated towards her, filling her with dread.

"I don't own you bupkus," she retorted, her voice squeaking with nerves.

"Anasztaizia never returned from the hunt the other night…do you... have any idea where she is?" Dracula asked in a mocking tone. All too aware that the small vampiress in front of him had something to do with his missing Bride - he had spies all over the town.

Buffy nearly bit through her lip, her mind flashing back to the rooftop and her torture of the vampiress he was referring too. She shook her head, panic beginning to claw at her mind, her body tensed as her eyes darted from side to side searching for a way to escape. She wasn't ready for this confrontation - she doubted she ever would be.

"And then tonight. My beloved Ktisztina was torn from my loving embrace by that bitch Anyanka. I believe she is one of yours?" Dracula bared his fangs at Buffy.

The sight of the instruments of her death terrified her - she hated herself for showing the fear so openly, but it was all too much and her false bravado disappeared. It was all too much. Her mom. Spike, Angel, and now confronting Dracula for the first time - alone without Spike to back her up. It was all too much. Buffy backed away until she tripped over a gravestone and fell backwards, her hands scrabbling in the grass for purchase as she edge away from the tall vampire standing over her, condemnation and ire in his eyes.

Almost hyperventilating in her terror, Buffy slid back on her butt, her feet kicking as she move away . 'Oh god! Please, please go away. I can't deal with this right now. Not on top of Spike and Angel and their whole ‘lets keep Buffy in the dark.’' She hated herself for being such a baby; she was the Slayer and here she was scrabbling away from a vamp that, in all honesty, should have been dust by now.

"And to think Anyanka and I once shared a bed." Dracula shook his head in mock disappointment. Then he looked over at the terrified vampiress at his feet and malice filled his eyes. "Not that she will ever have that honour again - she took...no...killed Ktisztina - something that was mine to decide whether or not lived or died. Not some paltry ex-vengeance demon who appears, as rumour has it, to have appalling taste in men."

Buffy rolled onto her knees and tried to stand, only to be stopped by Dracula's foot as he stomped down on the small of her back. A delighted smile split his pale lips. He revelled in her fear; to see a Slayer crawling away from him was pure joy.

A grunt escaped her lips as she was pressed down to the grass, the blades tickling her face. Pushing her head up, Buffy gazed helplessly around the cemetery. She was pinned like a butterfly, her legs and arms flaying around.

"Be still," he ordered. Again, confused that his thrall or magical influences had no affect on his soon to be bride. No matter, he would find a way around that obstacle. But for the moment, his demon enjoyed the terror emanating from her.

"Stop it," Buffy whispered, her panic making her forget she was stronger than Dracula and could easily escape him if she wanted. Instead of the warrioress wanting to shed blood and scatter dust, Buffy felt like a scared violated girl being tormented by her attacker-- much like a mouse being toyed with by a cat.

Dracula laughed, "Never."

Buffy wriggled again, her nails clawing at the soil below her.

"You are beginning to bore me - and we have so much to discuss."

"Yeah well, if it's all so yawnsome, why not let me up and I'll get going?" Buffy bluffed, the tremor in her voice belying her bravado.

"Hardly." Dracula pushed down with his all his weight. His booted foot held her still. "Where was I? Oh, that's right, Anyaka - she's not a problem. I will kill her and avenge my Brides death." Dracula shrugged dismissively.

"NO!" Buffy slid her hands along the grass and pushed up, the casual threat against Anya giving her a modicum of strength; she was not losing another one of her friends. She managed to get some leverage and pushed against the foot that was pinning her down.

"Yes, and you will be making amends for stealing my Anasztaizia from me." Dracula grunted when Buffy managed to dislodge his foot from her back. She slipped out from under it and pulled herself up shakily.

"She deserved to die for what she did to me!" Buffy exclaimed angrily.

Dracula shook his head and lunged forward. He grabbed Buffy by the throat with one hand and let the other run softly over her face. "I may have handed you over to that mongrel William, but now I think it's time you came back to the fold."

Buffy's thin fingers wrapped around his wrist and she struggled against his hold. "Never!" she snarled.

Dracula shook his head and then laughed, "I think I may have given up on you too easily. The fire in you is really quite enjoyable. I shall really take pleasure in breaking your will...again." he added menacingly.

"No," she whispered and twisted her body away from his free hand that now ranged over her breasts in a familiar manner, re-mapping her curves. His long fingers cruelly pinched her soft nipples, futilely trying to get them aroused.

"Yes, you will be my new Bride - it appears that thanks to you and your bitch of a friend I have a need for some fresh meat in my stable." Dracula giggled manically as his hand grasped her throat tighter, holding her in place as his other hand drifted between her legs and grasped her crotch hard, bruising the delicate flesh. "But first, we need to remove the stench of that Aurelian from your body." With that, he heaved Buffy over his shoulder and began to move with a supernatural speed towards the contemplating pool that was at the centre of the cemetery.

Buffy twisted and turned in his grasp, her fists beating a rapid tattoo on his back. Before she could gather her strength and get free, she was sailing through the air. Landing face down with a splash in the shallow pool, she inadvertently inhaled a lungful of water. Memories of the Master and her first death filled her mind and Buffy’s fear dissolved into a cold fury. Silt filled her mouth. Buffy shot upwards with a roar of anger; her body broke the surface of the water and she threw her soaked hair back and leapt to her feet.

She was done playing the victim. Sure, Dracula terrified her, but enough was enough. Spinning awkwardly, she turned to face her tormentor.

But he was gone.

********

There was a knock at his door. "Angel?" Joyce's voice was filled with concern. She pushed open the door to his suite and tentatively popped her head through the gap.

Angel levered himself up onto his elbows and nodded for her to come in. His mobile phone sat where it had been dropped; he had been waiting with mounting worry for Spike to call him back. It had been nearly half an hour and he was trying to work out a way to drag his aching body down to the car and drive to Sunnydale.

Joyce stepped into the room, carrying a tray of supplies. "Is it okay if I come in?"

The dark haired vampire nodded, awkwardness filling him - he still had no idea how to talk to Buffy's Mom. The few times they had conversed since she and Dawn had come with him to LA there had been a level of discomfort that had been overwhelming for the normally reticent vampire. He usually left the chatting to Cordy who was best suited to dealing with people. He found it much easier to be in the background watching people-- and not brooding like the others teased him!

"Are you in a lot of pain?" Joyce asked softly. She hesitantly approached the bed, eyeing his bruised and burned body. Despite her innate dislike for the defiler of her daughter's innocence, Joyce did feel badly for Angel. He was in pain because of her; she was still in shock about the revelations about her health. She was still in denial - a tumour? ‘No way’, to quote her daughters.

But the trials, and then her subsequent healing - all underscored how close she had come to leaving her baby girls alone in the world. Joyce knew she owed Angel her life and as much as that stuck in her throat, she would rise above it and be nice to him. At least now Buffy was with Spike.

Angel stared at Joyce quizzically. "Umm, I'll be okay I just need some bloo..." a mug was thrust under his nose.

"Here, drink this. Spike showed me how to heat it to the right temperature, and I have more." She gestured to the thermos on the tray.

Angel hesitated, unwilling to drink in front of her.

Joyce gave him her patented Mom look and arched a blonde brow at him.

Angel blinked and with a tentative grin sipped from the mug, surprise blossoming over his face - the flavour was amazing. He gulped it greedily down. Licking his lips, he looked at the thermos and then up at Joyce. "Can I? What's in it?"

Joyce uncapped the silver thermos and handed it to Angel with a faint smile. "Here. Drink it all, it'll help with the healing." She looked down and busied herself gathering the bandages and burn ointments. "It's Sambal Olek, a Thai spice. Spike said it gives the blood some kick." Joyce omitted adding that she had also laced the blood with a healing balm that the green horned guy Lorne had dropped off, knowing that Angel would probably moan like a kid over taking his medicine. Men! No matter if they were alive or undead they were born complainers - they hated being sick or hurt and turned into big babies.

"It's good." Angel drank eagerly from the thermos. He could feel his body recovering with each sip and he wondered what else was in the blood, but decided not to push his luck. Mrs Summers was being nice to him and he enjoyed the novelty. He glanced in the direction of the door, hoping not to spot Dawn. He had no idea how to handle her; she was too much like Spike and it irked him endlessly.

"Oh! Hey!" Angel gasped as Joyce pulled the sheets away from his burned feet and deftly began to apply the burn ointment and then wrapping them in soft bandages—her face not giving away the shock and guilt at the sight of the cross shaped burns and blisters on them.

"Angel, let me do this for you." Joyce pulled him up and put some pillows behind him. Angel was the alpha male here in the agency and was unwilling to show weakness to his associates, so she had waited until it was late in the night and then come to help him out. She owed him.

"Thank you." Angel tentatively smiled at the woman and allowed her to dress the wounds on his chest and back, all the while sipping at the warm blood she had brought him. Unbeknownst to either of them, they had an observer who silently fumed at her interrupted mind games.

***********

Buffy shook the water from her ears.

There was an enormous roar that broke the peace of the cemetery; she recognised it.

It was Spike.

He was in ‘must kill now’ mode.

She slipped and fell, falling face forward into the shallow water again. The sensation of the water seeping into her lungs made her freak. It was all too familiar - the Master drowning her all those years ago had a left a mark. She leapt from the water gagging. Buffy puked up the water and took a deep breath, unneeded but it helped in calming her down. Silt covered her face; she scrubbed at it with her hands, wiping it as clean as best she could.

In the distance she could hear the sounds of battle. Buffy's feet carried her towards the noise, worried now for Spike.

**********

Dawn peeked through the gap of her door and her jaw dropped.

'Oh my god! It's her...but she's supposed to be dead?'

Dawn clicked the door shut and leant against it. Her hand pressing against her heart; she was positive it was going to beat itself out of her chest.
She had only seen Darla once years ago, and that voice she'd never forget. She needed to get to her Mom - but she was in Angel's room looking after him.

The teen slid down the door and rested her head on her knees. She was still in shock from the revelations that had occurred earlier when her mom and Angel had returned from their walk. She could still feel her mom's arms around her, clutching at her and rocking them both back and forth as she explained how Angel had saved her life.

After that Lorne guy had read her, he had been able to tell that there was a tumour in her Mom's brain and Angel had fought for her life-- and saved her. Spike was gonna freak out when he heard that the Poof had saved Joyce. Dawn's eyes filled with tears of relief - she had nearly lost her mommy. Angel had saved her...no them. All of them. If Joyce had died, then the Summers family would've fallen to pieces.

Dawn dashed the tears from her face; a look of determination filled it. She grabbed the lamp base from the table next to her, her face set in an uncompromising line-- one that was startlingly similar to how her older sister looked when confronted with a demon. Sniffling loudly she stood, and bracing herself she swung the door open and charged out into the corridor, ready to kick some vapid blonde's undead ass.

There was a sense of anticlimax - the corridor was empty. Dawn sighed with relief and ran as fast as she could for Angel's suite and kicked the door open.

"Eww, that's gotta hurt!" Dawn stared in shock at the burnt mess of Angel's foot. She dropped her makeshift weapon and it bounced forgotten on the carpet, her eyes glued to the blister mess of the souls of Angel's feet.

"Dawn, why aren't you in bed?" Joyce stared over her shoulder at her youngest daughter.

Angel scrabbled to cover his chest with the sheet. He had no idea how cope with Dawn, and lounging on a bed with no shirt on was not the way to go. Even he realised that.

Dawn crossed her arms over her chest and tilted her head to one side. "So Angel, care to share with us?"

"Huh?" The brunette vampire's large brow furrowed in confusion. She really confounded him sometimes.

"Dawn." Joyce's voice held a hint of reprimand in it.

"How come your undead skank of a sire is hanging around the hotel? Buffy told me you dusted her?" Dawn shot out with a look of curiosity on her face.

"What? No...Darla's dead, I dusted her myself," Angel stuttered. Suddenly everything clicked into focus, the dreams he had been having, and the sticky not so fresh feelings he'd had in the mornings when he woke up.

"OH!" he sat up in shock.

"Darla's alive? It's all real? I thought I was dreaming...Darla was here in my room - in my bed." Angel trailed off sheepishly, embarrassed beyond his wildest dreams about what he had had just revealed to Joyce and Dawn.

"Yucksville!" Dawn grimaced at the mental thought of Angel having sex with Darla; she still pretended that Buffy had never let him touch her. Cos ewwww.

********

Buffy skidded to a halt at the sight of Dracula and Spike fighting. She tripped over something on the grass and landed with a jarring thud on black leather. Her cold fingers scrabbled at the duster that Spike had disguarded at some point. Grabbing hold of the soft leather she pulled it out from under her and slipped it on, drawing comfort from the worn leather and the heady scents of her sire as the coat enveloped her. Inhaling his familiar scent and getting a snugly feeling from it, helping her to ground herself, all thoughts of her anger towards the peroxide menace were eased - until she could get him on his own and kick his ass.

"Sodding ninny!" Spike roared and launched himself at Dracula, his clawed hand reached for the European vampire's throat. Blood poured from a gash on his cheekbone where Drac had lashed out with his Gucci clad foot moments earlier, sending Spike sailing through the air.

The two master vampires met halfway with a bone crushing thump. They wrestled wildly, each trying to gain ascendancy over the other. Buffy gulped at the sight of the two of them fighting all out fist and fangs in a flurry of blows and bites.

Spike's naked torso gleamed in the waning moonlight, streaked with mud and blood from both his wounds and those of his opponents. She tried to not swoon with girlish glee at the sight of him stripped to the waist and fighting. He looked amazing in the moonlight, his hair in a tumble of pale curls and an unholy look of anger in his eyes. Spike's entire being was focused on decimating his opponent. A stray thought popped into her head and it lightened her heart for a split second.

Buffy stepped forward to help him, only to be stopped by a piercing blue gaze and a brief shake of his head before he head butted Dracula in the nose, shattering it with a satisfying crunch. Blood and small slithers of bone poured from his shattered nose and coated the dark haired vampire's chin.

He howled in pain and his knee jerked up, catching Spike in the hip with a heavy blow.

Spike flinched, glad he'd twisted his hips at the last moment. He gritted his teeth, unwillingly to allow Dracula the upper hand. Instead, he vamped out and bit down hard on his opponent’s shoulder and shook his head like a dog, tearing through cloth, skin, muscles and tendons. He pulled back and in the ultimate vampiric put down, spat out Dracula's blood.

Spike danced on the balls of his feet, his blood-smeared face split with a manic grin. He spun and kicked out at his opponent, catching him in the chin and sending him flying. He had been waiting for this moment from the second he had seen Buffy hanging limply in the bastard's sweaty paws. He and his demon were in complete agreement about this fight; make the bastard hurt and then rip his head off.

Buffy bit her lower lip, wanting to call out to him but instinctively knowing she couldn't distract him - this was his fight. For now.

"You touched her again, against her will!" Spike growled, surreptitiously pressing a fist against his hip. The pain that shot up from the injury fine-tuned his concentration onto the fight, but Spike was positive something was broken there. Every time he moved there was a sickening grinding sensation; that was sickening to experience - but if it helped him stay in the game then so be it.

"She owes me!" Dracula rolled over onto his back and then flipped up onto his feet. "She killed my Bride and I want her to fill the void in my bed and clan."

"Owes you bollocks, and as for hopping into your bed - never happening!" Spike retorted and lunged at the slim vampire. Fists ready and fangs just itching for another taste of his opponent.

"You stole her life from her - her innocence!" Spike began to pound the smirking face of his enemy. Each bone jarring thump filled him with satisfaction; he imagined each injury on the prat's body was a small step in revenge for Buffy. It had been a long time coming but he had been aching for this confrontation with the Tranny bastard. "Why would you think that the Slayer would even consider letting you touch her after the hell you and your slags put her through?" Spike punctuated his question with a one-two punch to Dracula's throat.

There was a sickening crunch as the damage was done to his throat, muscles tore and there was a crunching sound of carteledge giving away under the blows. Dracula's hand shot up to his throat and clutched at it, trying to ease the pain. Never before had he been at such a disadvantage in a fight. Each time he had summoned a spell to cast on his opponent it had vanished into the ether, much like his attempts on his prize, the turned Slayer. The vampire was confused, never before had this happened to him and for the first time in decades, he was worried about losing a fight.

Spike span and kicked him in the stomach, he twisted around and landed on the balls of his feet, fists clenched ready for the next blow.

Dracula reeled backwards and raised his arms defensively. He was starting to panic - never before had he entered into a fight he didn't know he would win. But there was something wild and untamed in Spike's fighting; a sense of his moral rightness for being in this confrontation was fuelling the blond vampire's strength to such levels that it was starting to terrify Dracula.

Spike bobbed forward--much like a prize-fighter-- and began to rain down blows on any part of Dracula's body that presented itself. The nonce deserved a good kicking.

The longhaired vampire struck out wildly, trying to slow down the heavy blows. His face was already shattered and the darkness of unconsciousness was starting to pull at his senses. Realising that brute force or magical influences were not helping him in this battle, Dracula resorted to taunting his opponent and Buffy.

"She was hardly an innocent. Your own grandsire has drunk from her neck and assisted her in losing her innocence. I only added to her experience; she welcomed my touch!" he taunted, hoping that bringing up Angel would wrong-foot his opponent. In the past, the enmity between the two familial vampires had been legendary, and usually over a woman - though he had never understood the appeal of the mad one. Once it had been the insane Drusilla, but now it was the prize he wanted to reclaim.

Buffy's last vestiges of fear vanished at the last insults that had poured from Dracula's split lips. She vamped out and growled loudly; her challenge was heard by both males, but ignored as they were fighting to the death. Neither one wanting to risk a break in concentration, any slip and they'd lose.

"Nice try, mate." Spike slapped Dracula round the back of the head in an insulting way - more like a father cuffing a son around the head for some misdemeanour. "Bringing up Peaches might've worked a while back, but not now." He hefted Dracula and threw him against a mausoleum, smirking at the sound of Dracula's bones breaking. Revenge was sweet.

Spike bounced on the balls of his feet and then cracked his neck. "Now? Nothing! Must say it's kind of liberating, no Granddaddy issues - but m'sure that'll change once he starts brooding over something. But for now, Spike's an uncomplicated puppy...who is starting to get bored...can't you even put up a little bit of a fight?" he whined.

A blur of blonde hair flashed past him and before Spike could utter a bloody hell, an incensed Slayer launched Dracula into the air.

Before he could even hit the ground, Buffy kicked him in the stomach and sent him flying upwards again. "Scumbag! I never welcomed your cold clammy paws on me-- not until you thralled me and even then, ewww."

Spike tucked his thumbs in the waistband of his jeans and watched as Buffy batted the enormous git up and down the cemetery like a whiffle ball. "Nice moves, luv." He loved to watch her fight, her body moving in smooth seamless motions. Despite the gravity of the situation, and who they were confronting, Spike still took time to admire his Slayer.

"Can it, Spike. Still mad as hell with you!" Buffy grumbled as she punted the nearly unconscious vampire into a tree. The satisfaction she garnered from pulverising the asshole was overwhelmingly good. She was even angrier with herself for freezing up earlier and letting the scumbag touch her.

"Love you though, sweets." Spike rocked on his heels and watched as his girl's small foot kicked loose what looked suspiciously like a fang. He ran his tongue over his own and smirked at Dracula who was laid out on the grass, bleeding from his nose, mouth and ears. This was gonna be good and well deserved - he had hated feeling her terror when he had been running to the cemetery - that was not how his girl was built. The fear that had flooded her being had fuelled his attack on Dracula. He was determined to defend her, to avenge her - to buy time for her to regain her equilibrium and re-join the fight. 'And didn't she look fancy in my coat,' Spike noted with an admiring gleam to his eyes.

"Humph." Buffy rolled her eyes at him, "sweet talking me is not helping, Spike. Still mad at you for being all secretive guy." She reached into her waistband and pulled out Mr Pointy. Raising her arm she took a deep breath. This was the moment she had been waiting for since she had woken in Spike's bed in the cabin, confused and disoriented by her location and her newly undead status.

Her face was a study of determination and a calm filled her. Without a quip tumbling from her lips, Buffy gripped her stake firmly and swung her arm downwards. Justice would be done, and removing the poseur from the planet was an added bonus, she added irreverently to herself.

"NO!" Dracula bellowed and summoned his last vestiges of strength and turned into a bat and flew off into the sky. Buffy fell forward, the momentum from her swinging the stake unbalancing her, and the sensation of the bat body under her hand before Drac had managed to wriggle loose and flutter away disoriented her.

"Pansy arsed coward," Spike bellowed as he chased futilely after the badly injured and erratically fluttering bat. Limping slightly, he continued a litany of insults, which would have made a longshoreman blush and reach for the soap to wash the vampire's mouth out with.

Buffy yelled angrily, annoyed that she had lost her kill. She clamoured to her feet and took off after the two vampires. Pissed off that her slay had been thwarted.

A/N and no cliffhanger this time!!!
Chapter 28 by Schehrezade
It hurts," he whined as the woman's soft hands fluttered over his beaten body. His tongue ran across the back of his teeth and paused briefly at the gap where his fang had been. He knew in time it would grow back, but his vanity was starting to surge to the fore. Dracula knew he couldn't show his face anywhere soon; the sight of a Master Vampire of his notoriety, with a missing fang, would be too humiliating.

The surviving Bride grimaced at the sound of her Master's ribs grinding together as she bound them tightly. When he had appeared in her window—fluttering weakly into the room and falling at her feet—she had started to scream for her sisters. Stopping only when she remembered there was no one else, only her.

"Who did this to you, Master?" Marushka whispered as she carefully tied the ends of the soft bandages off. Reaching over to the silver bowl filled with water, the shaking vampiress picked up the sponge and squeezed it out and methodically began to clean the drying blood and dirt of Dracula's face.

"No matter who it was my Childe," Dracula hissed as the pain shot through him when she cleaned out the bite wound on his shoulder. There was no way he would ever admit to his Bride who had beaten him so badly; the humiliation was too much as it was.

Marushka's grey eyes widened slightly when she caught the scent of her Master's opponents-- her little sister and the Aurelian, Spike. Wisely she kept her silence and continued to tend her poor darling. She resisted offering to lick his wounds shut, acutely aware that Dracula would not allow her to taste the combined blood on his body of the two vampires that had fought and wounded him so badly.

~~~~~~~~

It was dark, warm and comforting. He was fed and kept comfortable. There was nothing here in his new home to remind him of what he had done.

He was safe. They didn't judge him; only tried to help him.

It was weird seeing her again. She had died a few years ago and yet, here she was. Talking him back from the brink of madness that he had allowed himself to be lead into.

Shame filled him again; he was a sick, dirty boy, just like his father and mother had told him. A weak mistake who wouldn't amount to anything. He thought he’d proved them wrong himself when he had helped her fight the things that went bump in the night. But he had been a idiot and his parents had been right all along.

Nothing would save him. He turned onto his side and curled up into a tight ball and wept.

~~~~~~~~~

"Hold up pet, he's long gone." Spike reached out and hauled Buffy back against him. His arms automatically wrapped around her wriggling body and without any conscious thought behind it, he dropped a soothing kiss to her temple.

"Dammit Spike, lemme go. He's getting away," Buffy whined as she tried to pry his arms off her.

"Not happening, Slayer." Spike gritted his teeth when her sharp little elbow made contact with his ribs. The scratches left by Dracula's claws were reopened by the jostling and blood seeped sluggishly down his side. He wavered on his feet, fatigue clawing at him-- the night's events finally catching up with the bleach blond vampire. All he wanted to do now was get home before the sun rose, to tend to both of their wounds. His hackles were rising at the incipient arrival of the dawn, his vampiric nature urging him to get undercover and wait out the day.

Buffy froze mid squirm at the scent of Spike's blood hitting her nostrils. She slithered around to face him, all her anger over his not telling her about her mom vaporised in an instant. He was hurt. Must help him, filled her mind.

"You're bleeding." She gazed up at him, her green eyes luminous. A tear trembled on her thick lower lashes, threatening to drop onto her cheek and paint a trail through the encrusted grime.

A smile threatened at the corners of Spike's split lips. "Yeah, sumthin’ that happens when you get into a good brawl." His fingers slid around her small waist and held her gently.

Buffy snorted at his bravado, still in two minds whether to kick his ass. But the scent of his blood filled her with worry, and now face-to-face with him for the first time since chasing after Dracubat, she could see the extent of his war wounds. He was battered and bruised, but still unbowed and hers.

Spike glanced over his shoulder, the tingles alerting him that sunrise was imminent. "Com'on, we need to get home." He tugged her against him and pressed a hesitant kiss to her lips, still unsure if he was in the dog house.

Buffy nodded and allowed him to pull her along the deserted streets, heading for home.

~~~~~~~~~

"What the hell happened to you? You look like raw meat! It’s disgusting; you’re all red and scabby. I hate it; clean yourself up."

Dracula rolled onto his back at the sound of the Hellgod's shrill voice. He had been curled up on his side and drifting in and out of sleep. His body was slowly healing, thanks to the two human cows Marushka had brought up from the dungeons. He had drained them awkwardly. Unable to sink his fang into their necks, Dracula had used his nails to cut their throats. The crimson nectar that had welled from the cuts had called to him and he had latched on, drinking deeply from their throats

Glory paced back and forth at the side of the bed Dracula was lying on. "Get up. We need to discuss my plans." Without a backward glance, she prowled out of the room.

"Sire?" Marushka helped Dracula to sit up, her face screwing up in sympathy at the whimper of pain that escaped his pale lips. "You need to rest. She can wait."

Dracula shook his head. "No. We need to pander to her vanities. I am in too deep." He rose slowly from the bed, his movements measured, as if he were indeed two hundred odd years old. "Help me to dress and bring me another one to eat." He kicked at the two drained bodies that lay on the floor. "Get a minion to remove this refuse."

~~~~~~~~~~

Spike kicked the door shut; they had managed to beat the sunrise with seconds to spare. Buffy flicked the lights and headed for the stairs.

"Blood?"

"Yeah. Gonna need a few packs to sort out this lot," Spike told her as he gestured to the bruises that littered his torso. The reddish purple marks contrasted with his pale skin and stood out in relief. Spike allowed himself to limp now that he was home and out from under the curious eyes of the world. Buggering hell, the bastard got me good. Nearly caught me in the Niagara's.' Spike pressed the heel of his hand into the aching hip joint and eyed the stairs glumly. There was no avoiding it. He had to climb them and it was going to hurt like the blazes.

The only two things sustaining him were pure adrenaline as well as the damage he had inflicted on the poseur. Spike patted his back pocket. The small trophy he had managed to snag before taking off after Buffy and Drac was secure in his jeans.

There was a sickening popping sound that preceded his entrance into the loft. Buffy glanced up from the mug she was holding, ‘eww face’ firmly in place. Spike limped to the sofa and sank down into the cushions with a happy moan.

"Here, drink this. I'll get another one for you." A mug was waved under his nose. Spike took it gratefully and began to gulp it down, his eyes widened momentarily at the taste of her blood. He looked up, his lips stained red with questioning eyes.

"It'll help, Spike. Don't say anything, just drink." Buffy turned back to the kitchen, pulled another bag out of the fridge and threw it into the microwave. With a few jabs of her finger she set the time and the bag began to spin slowly around.

Spike's eyelids lowered at the blissful taste of his girl's blood and he sipped at the remains in the mug slowly, trying to draw out the pleasure he got from tasting her. Buffy shrugged off his duster and carefully draped it over the back of the sofa. Her hand drifted down to ghost over Spike's chest. His calloused hand lashed out and caught hers and squeezed it gently.

"We're okay?" He hated the quaver in his voice, but Spike needed to know.

Buffy eyed him solemnly. She realised that what he had done—he and Angel that is— was try to help her and to lessen her load. She had overreacted; she knew it and felt about twelve years old. Offering a tentative smile to her concerned lover, she nodded. Her simple actions had an immediate effect on Spike. With a sigh, the tension in his lean body dissolved and he melted into the soft cushions.

Spike's inner William appeased, he began to sip again at the blood, his fingers interlacing with Buffy's and a purr beginning to erupt from his throat. He knew that there would be more 'chat' about his and the Poof's actions, but as long as she loved him, Spike knew he could weather anything. The faint words he'd tossed at her and Peaches two years ago echoed through his mind - love's bitch. Spike nodded and smiled. Yeah he was, and proud of it.

The microwave pinged, shattering the peaceful moment between them.

"I'll get that." Buffy scurried off, anxious to help.

"No added extra's this time pet, and maybe get some for yourself. You need it," Spike suggested gently, aware that if he ordered her then the stubborn bint would starve her self to spite him.

Buffy nodded absently and filled a fresh mug and tossed another bag into the microwave, her stomach growling appreciatively at the potential meal.

"Here.” She handed the warmed blood over and drifted past Spike and into their bedroom. Spike cocked his head and listened to her moving around. He could hear the soft fall of her clothes onto the floor as she stripped off; her bare feet padded into the bathroom. Spike took a long drink of the second mug, grimacing at the blandness of the taste. The sound of taps turning and the rush of water made him pause and he rubbed a thumb gingerly along his cheekbone, the edges of the cut still raw and painful.

"Can you get up?" Buffy's soft voice broke through his musings.

Spike cracked his neck from side to side, easing the pressure. "Yeah." For once he managed to stop himself from making a crass remark; he was too tired for verbal badinage. Swinging his feet over the side the tired vampire eased himself up. Before he could reach down and undo his bootlaces, Buffy's naked form was kneeling at his feet, her strong fingers working the laces free and easing the Doc's off his feet.

"Come on." Buffy stood and reached out a hand to help him up.

Spike's eyes were riveted to her gently swaying breasts. He put the mug down on the coffee table and let her pull him to his feet. He smothered a groan when the injured hip cracked loudly as he padded after his girl into the steamy bathroom. Sniffing the air, he noticed that the prevalent scent she had picked out was Teatree oil, thankfully not too emasculating.

He let her undress him, his arms hanging loose at his sides as he watched her naked body move around his. Allowing Buffy to coo over each injury as is it was unveiled. Spike was in two minds over what to do and say. He was still incensed and hurt by her reaction to the Joyce situation and wanted to have a go at her for what she had said and done, but at the same time he wanted to cosset her over Dracula and the first meeting with the smug ponce.

Buffy kept her head down and avoided eye contact. Something in her instinctively told her not to look up at Spike. Maybe it was her demon? She grimaced when her stomach growled again.

“Go eat, Childe.” Spike nudged her to the door, unsure as to whether or not he liked his Slayer so submissive. It didn’t sit well with him; made his fangs twitch for some reason. The tired vampire glanced over at the filled tub with longing. “I’ll get in the tub and soak. Go and eat, pet.” He deliberately omitted his usual luv and walked slowly towards the bath.

Buffy hesitated and then slipped through the door, rushing to the kitchen. She wanted to be back in the bathroom with Spike. They needed to talk and bond

“Gods that feels good…” Spike groaned happily as he sank into the big bath and the heat from the scented water soaked into his aching muscles. He noticed the full bottle of JD set on the side and a pang of guilt filled him for his behaviour.

He leant forward to grab a bar of soap and a lithe body slid into the gap behind him.

“Spike?”

He rested his head on his knees briefly, before lying back on her soft body. Coarse curls at the juncture of her thighs tickled his skin, offering promises of things to come. Buffy wrapped her arms around his chest, carefully avoiding the scratches and bruising that was littered across his pale skin. Spike absently ran his hands up and down her thighs, which lay along his, her scarlet tipped toes massaging his shins.

Buffy rested her chin on Spike’s shoulder and sighed.

“You know I only kept quiet about Mum cos I didn’t want you worrying over her and getting yourself dusted?” he asked quietly.

Buffy sighed again, the movement pressing her hardened nipples against his back. Spike pressed his cheek against hers and reached up to thread his fingers through hers. “You getting naked and pressing your bits and pieces against me isn’t going to work. We need to chat this out, pet.”

“Spike, what do you want me to say? I’m happy about you being all secretive guy? Nope, not gonna happen! Also, not happy with you and Angel all with the vampy whispers and treating me like a mushroom.”

“Do what? Mushroom?” Spike’s eyes shot open as he tried to follow his girl’s strange thought patterns.

“Y’know, keep me in the dark and feed me…”

“Right, got it, and who the ruddy hell told you that one?” Spike interrupted. He tried, and failed to suppress a deep laugh.

“Dawn.” Buffy pinched at the nipples that her hands were covering. Spike purred at her teasing as his cock twitched against stomach in anticipation. “Spike, I over reacted. I’m sorry. I was just scared for Mom.” She was amazed at how easily the words of apology came to her lips. ‘Whoa, where did maturo gal come from?’ Her lower lip jutted out slightly.

“Only did it because I love you, pet,” Spike whispered, secretly amazed at her openly offered contrition. He decided not to push her anymore, knowing that there was still the issue of ‘Dracuponce’ to talk about.

“I can tell you’re pouting without even having to look.” Spike closed his eyes and snuggled back against Buffy, both of them sighing contentedly at the contact and warmth of the other’s body. His hand settled on his erection and idly pumped it for a few strokes, just to keep it happy. His free hand drifted up to rest on her cheek, his fingers soothing her with gentle strokes. He was still waiting for her to bring up Drac, and wondered why she hadn’t.

“Not gonna get it?” she teased hopefully,

Spike’s mind flashed back to that night, the one night he had barely allowed himself to think about that often. Her slender body draped over his as they tried to work out their wedding plans-- and their gentle teasing.

It had been a taste of the bliss that he was rapidly become accustomed to in the last few weeks. In the days after the spell had been lifted, he had never even given the incident a second thought-- not until that dream. The dream that had changed everything for him, setting him on a path that had led him to this moment.

“Spike?” Buffy worried her aforementioned lips in her teeth, unnerved at the stillness of her sire. It was something that was alien to her; usually he was ball of energy, in constant motion.

“Sorry, pet, just pondering times past.” Spike reached up without looking and tapped at Buffy’s lower lip that was caught in her teeth. He reached over and grabbed the bottle of booze and expertly spun the top off, and with a happy sigh, downed a shot.

“What times?” Buffy nudged Spike down until she could scoop some water onto his blood streaked hair, the warm water loosening the dried flakes. Pushing him up and into a seated position, rather than having him slumped against her; Buffy lathered up his platinum curls and began to scrub, her fingers avoiding the cut that was healing rapidly. “Dunk your head,” she ordered gently as her fingers toyed with the shampoo-covered curls. Spike twisted around and faced her, his cobalt blue eyes staring into her hazel ones, searching for answers to questions he hadn’t voiced yet.

Buffy soothed the wrinkles in his brow with her soap-covered fingers. She knew there was the issue of her statue impersonation to cover and that Spike was waiting for her to say something. But she was tired and didn’t want the angstathon; she just wanted to snuggle with her vamp. Look after him and coddle him for saving her again from Drac.

“We are going to have to talk it out at some point, love,” Spike whispered, all too aware of her wanting to avoid subject.

Buffy nodded. “Not now, though?”

Spike sighed and surprising her, he dunked his face into the water. His nose nudged against her curls. Buffy squeaked at the suddenness of his movements. Her fingers instinctively shot to the back of his head, and massaged the shampoo covered curls. With gentle motions of her hands, she washed off the soap. Spike’s hands slid under her thighs and cradled her hips. His mouth sliding upwards to press against her soft stomach for a brief kiss. Surging upwards, he twisted around and took up his previous position, nestled against her body.

“Yeah, now. Best to get this off your chest before the rot sets in.” Spike took one of her hands and began to kiss the tips of each finger, giving each one a good nibble, too.

“Thought you were on my chest,” she teased.

Spike cocked an eyebrow at her. “Pet, it’s okay that you were wrong-footed by the git, first meeting an’all…”

“No, Spike, it’s not okay. I’m…I’m…the Slayer. I get hurt if I’m not ready, and other people who I should be protecting-- fighting for-- could get killed because of that. I can’t afford to be off my game, ever. The one time I was, I got turned…” She growled angrily.

Spike shifted slightly so he could see her face, his free hand reaching up to sooth her. Buffy jerked away, too caught up in her anger towards herself to notice anything. He grimaced at her actions. “Oi, none of that, m’trying to help you,” he growled.

“Spike, you helped me tonight. If you hadn’t come when you did, then I have no idea what would have happened. Drac’d probably would’ve terrified me into being Bridey number two…” A look of horrified repulsion covered her fine features at the memory of the European vampire’s hands on her body.

Spike stood up. Reaching down he pulled Buffy into his arms and then settled back into the warm water. Holding her face against his chest, he moved his hands up and down her back soothingly. “Hush now, I’ll always have your back, and next time you’ll rip his extremely small dangly bit off and shove it down his throat.”

Buffy snorted against Spike’s chest and then sniffled again. She hated how pathetic she had been, crawling away from him with her heart in her mouth-- a victim. It reminded her of the seconds of panic she had felt in that car in High School when Cameron had asked if she liked it rough and then had tried to touch her. For a brief moment she had been Buffy the girl, terrified and weak. The same feelings she’d had when Dracula had appeared.

And she hated herself for it. She was the Slayer; there was no room in her life for weakness. Not now. Not with that Glory chick and Dracula sniffing around her town and the Hellmouth.

Spike crooned at her, nonsensical words, trying to sooth her. He pulled her up slightly, cradling her against his throat and ran his fingers through her wet hair, trying to calm her down as best he could. He was used to Dru, the gibbering wreck of a vampire that Angel had left behind for him to look after. For decades he had been able to talk her down from her temper tantrums and tears. But when Buffy cried, he was all fingers and thumbs. In essence he became what he had hated most of all-- William the Bloody Awful Poet.

Buffy rubbed her face against Spike’s throat. The scent of his skin was intoxicating. Earthy Master vampire with a hint of cigarette smoke and leather, all of which made her mouth water. Even with the tea tree oil perfume that was clinging to his soft skin. She wanted to fix everything, make amends for her meltdown over her mom. She had a vague idea as to how to do it, but wasn’t sure if Spike wanted it. He’d never brought it up.

Buffy’s fangs dropped and her irises changed to the now familiar lavender hue, signalling her demonic nature. Spike, unaware of her intentions carried on soothing her, oblivious to the enormous step his childe was about to attempt.

She was working on instinct here, allowing her demon free reign for the first time. There was a rushing sound in her ears as the demon within her stretched out its control over her powerful body. Her senses were heightened; every sound and smell was amplified a hundredfold. The drip of water from the tap was thunderous in her ears; the scents of the bath products were vying for dominance with Spike’s. The Slayer within her for once was silent, not battling for ascendancy with the demon that was now housed within Buffy’s body alongside the Slayer spirit.

It was as if the Slayer part of her was giving Buffy her blessing for what she had in mind.

With a kittenish snarl, Buffy struck at her intended target. Her fangs sank deep into Spike’s pale throat, her jaw muscles working as she drank deeply. Taking him into her again.

Spike relaxed at the sensation of her sharp little fangs piercing his neck; he knew she needed his blood to heal and also to ground herself. He also needed her to drink from him. Unaware of her real intentions, he offered no objections to her unsolicited bite.

Buffy was in heaven; she was sure of it.

This time it was different. The bite was more than an exchange of blood; it was a melding of their beings. She could sense everything about William and Spike with each draw of his rich blood. The memories were flowing thick and fast, much like his blood down her throat. It was like a fine vintage wine, seasoned and filled with an incomparable taste. Her body was vibrating with sheer pleasure; a delirium was building into a crescendo. Buffy wriggled around and straddled Spike, her fangs never leaving his throat. Sliding up and down on his hard cock, she purred as best she could around her fangs.

Spike’s eyes rolled back in his head and his hands grabbed hold of her hips, trying to hold her still long enough for him to enter her.

Buffy twisted her hips away from his hands, and away from his cock and slid her hands down between their writhing bodies. She grasped his throbbing erection and began to pump it roughly. Spike’s scarred brow shot up at the sensation of her firm caress. His girl had never been this forceful during sexual encounters with him before and his demon liked it. Spike felt his face shift, amber chasing azure out of his eyes as his brows rose and his fangs dropped. He thrust against her strong hands with a purring howl, but it tailed off when realisation dawned.

She was trying to initiate a claim.

“No!” Spike jerked his head backwards, his actions tearing Buffy’s fangs from his throat. Blood spurted out from the wound he created in his shock, covering her startled face.

“Spike?” Buffy’s voice quavered slightly.

He had rejected her claim.

The pain of that was starting to leech through her entire being. She let go of his softening cock and leapt out of the bath, wrapping her arms around her body. She was unsure what to do or say, she had been so sure this was what he had wanted.

Spike slapped his hand to the side of his neck, stemming the flow of blood. He rinsed off his crimson stained chest with his free hand and then stepped out of the bath. “Give me a hand here, childe,” he ordered softly.

Buffy hesitantly approached him. Spike lifted his hand exposing the torn and bleeding area on his neck. “Seal it.”

Without a word Buffy licked the wounds shut, barely tasting his blood in her panic. Gone was the enjoyment and excitement of seconds ago that her Sire’s blood had evoked in her entire being. She was hurting, in agony. He had rejected her attempt to claim him and now Buffy had no idea what to do.

Spike wrapped a towel around his waist and reached for a flannel, dipping it into the pinkish lukewarm bathwater he wrung it out. Buffy stood still before him, her shoulders hunched defensively and tears brimming in her eyes, threatening to fall down her face. Cupping her wobbling chin in his hand, Spike gently cleansed his blood off her face and chest with an impersonal touch. While his hands moved over her face and body, the usually verbose vampire was mute.

Finally Buffy couldn’t stop herself. She broke down, the tears poured down her cheeks and she began to sob loudly.

“Pet, don’t…” Spike wrapped a towel around her and then picked her unresisting body up and carried her into their bedroom.

“You…do…don’t…wa…want me!” she wailed. “I did it wrong, didn’t I?”

Spike sighed and placed the soggy weeping bundle of Slayer onto their bed. He left her for a moment and rifle through their wardrobes searching for a pair of sweat pants. He needed a barrier between them for now. Pulling on a dark grey pair, he let the wet towel drop to the floor and walked back to the now curled up form of his girl.

His hands hovered over her quaking shoulders. “Buffy love, you listening to me?” Spike sat down on the bed and stifled a smile at the sight of her pulling a pillow over her head in a childish attempt to block his voice, curling up even tighter to avoid him. She didn’t want to hear his reasons for the massive rejection, even if he couched it in gentle niceties.

“Right then…” Spike rubbed his hand on her back in a soothing manner and waited for his stubborn girl to unfurl herself and listen to what he had to say. He waited and waited but she carried on sniffling into the eiderdown.

Eventually he sighed. “Love, you didn’t do it wrong.”

Buffy stopped crying at his softly uttered announcement, but remained curled up tight. She felt safer in this position, more protected from whatever excuse he was going to hit her with.

Spike cursed himself for what he was about to say. He even glanced down to check if he was still a bloke.

“I’m not ready.” And with those three damming words falling from her sire’s lips, Buffy felt something shrivel up and die inside her.

She added another rejection form a man she loved to the pile and closed her heart.
Chapter 29 by Schehrezade
Thank you megan_peta for her betaing and fantabulous support and thank you to spikeskat for her help and brainstorming - the knife scene was her idea *snogs*

Italic - Thoughts!

Anya flicked through the "The Modern Wicca", a new magazine which she was considering placing on order for the shop. It was filled with mind numbingly boring articles about how to pickle your own mandrake roots and ‘do-it-yourself’ de-eyeballing of rats. She wasn't too sure if she wanted her customers cutting out her goods and going straight to the source for their eyeballs.

She looked over at Tara and shook her head. As if they would! Somehow she couldn't see the blonde girl scooping out ratty eyes. She filled in the order form and added it to the pile of paperwork for Giles to approve.

There was a comfortable silence in the Magic Box, the two human occupants both busy with their own thing. Both oblivious of the vampire curled up in the forbidden section.

Tara was catching up on her college work and Anya was busy with re-ordering. They were both waiting for Giles to return with breakfast and then they could go over the events of the previous night. Tara was still in shock that Anya had managed to dust a Bride and save Spike and Giles from both a beating and being chomped on.

"Is she here?" Spike’s agitated demand made the two women jump.

Tara tucked a strand of her hair behind an ear and looked over at the agitated vampire that had just entered from the basement. She shook her head quickly in response to his barked question, unused to him being so prickly with her. Spike ignored her and carried on muttering under his breath while pacing back and forth. Her eyes were glued to the still healing bite marks on his neck. She suppressed a tiny shiver; it was scary to consider that those marks were Buffy's.

"What did you do?" Anya looked assesingly at Spike. "You were an idiot male, weren't you?" She had a honed instinct when it came to males and their foolishness. Her eyes locked on the bite marks that adorned his neck and her eyebrows shot up towards her hairline.

The other vampire in the shop shifted slightly, and listened intently to the conversation below.

Spike stalled in his tracks and gawped at the ex-demon. "How the bloody hell did you...?"

He trailed off at the sight of the two women walking towards him, compassion colouring Tara's soft features. But what was making him worry was the look of pure vengeance in Anya's eyes. He thanked his somewhat insane maker that demon girl was without her powers. He did take a cautious sniff to double check she was still human. He fidgeted uncomfortably at the gleam in Anya's eyes.

"Spike, did you do something which I will have to call on Hally to sort out?" Anya demanded crossly. She was starting to worry about Buffy. Whatever Spike had done it must be bad if he was here, and admitting to searching for his childe. Those bite marks were fresh and if he was running around like a headless Chickdark demon then something was wrong.

Anya realised that for him to admit to anyone that he had lost track of Buffy was something she had never envisaged the Aurelian Master vampire doing. It made him vulnerable to attack from her friends; the very friends who Spike knew where watching his every move like a hawk. The state he was in also was making her wonder just what he had done to her friend. Anya's strong protective gene kicked up a notch and she gave him a furious glare.

"Who's Hally?" Tara interrupted the angry stares with her question.

"A vengeance demon, a very old friend - in fact I was the one who got her into the business. Her main speciality is children but she's very good at inflicting pustulating boils to the scrotum. She gets them in just the right place that the man thinks if the boil bursts then something else might." Anya stared pointedly at Spike's groin.

"I say, that's really quite putrid." Giles's voice came from behind Spike, causing the vampire to spin around with a yelp. "Now Anya, here is your triple expresso and bearclaw; maybe they might cheer you up."

"Ohh delicious. And no, Giles. I am not cheering up because of your food bribery. He," Anya gestured with her pastry at Spike, showering him with flakey pastry crumbs, "has lost Buffy, and if he is coming here to find her and by doing so, letting us know that he is in the canine house, then he deserves a plague of boils on his scrotum." She eyed Spike. "Do you deserve it?" A perfectly manicured fingernail tapped him on the chest.

“I bloody do not, you silly chit ,” Spike muttered as he took a tiny step back and raised his hands defensively.

Anya arched a finely plucked brow at the vampire she was stalking towards. “Oh really?”

Spike's Adam's apple moved abruptly as he gulped at her. 'She was one scary bint!' He ground his teeth together, the movement causing his high cheekbones to stand even more in relief. Spike was aching to blurt out everything, to explain Buffy’s claiming attempt and the reasons behind his refusal but he was channelling William’s gentlemanly ways to the extreme. But he was damned if he was going to be the one taking all the blame. “Might want to talk the fang happy Slayer,” he muttered softly in his defence, none of the humans caught his heartfelt words as he flopped down onto an empty chair.

"Anya, please stop talking about Spike's balls. I haven't had enough tea to cope with that conversation yet," Giles admonished as he handed Tara her Green Chai. The Watcher stared at Spike and was about to cross- examine him about why Anya was threatening the vampire and also to demand were Buffy was, when Spike interrupted him.

"Yeah, let’s leave the boys out of this." Spike pulled his duster tight around his body, and immediately regretted it. The scent of Buffy was all over the thing from last night and it made his body ache.

He'd woken this morning after barely two hours sleep to find the bed and the apartment empty. His girl had scarpered but he could sense through their familial bond that she was nearby and hurting. Spike mentally slapped himself for not explaining his actions over her attempt to initiate a claim. He had tried to before they had fallen asleep, but his childe's distress had overwhelmed him and all he had been able to do was hold her as close as she'd let him, attempt to coddle and soothe her. Or so he had thought. When he had woken to the empty bed, panic had filled him. He had failed her again and his Slayer had gone.

Yes, he wanted to claim her. But no, he didn't think the reasons behind her trying it were good enough for a strong claim. To appease a sire was all well and good, and a bit of blood play while they shagged was also fine. But to try and claim him in the hopes of 'fixing' their fight over his secrecy about Mum was not the way to go.

Spike slumped on the metal ladder leading up to the forbidden section and rubbed his hands over his face. He had buggered up trying to explain it to Buffy and probably deserved Anya setting her old mate on him. And a very small part of him also wondered, worried over the suddenness of her approach. He was very worried that his Slayer had tried to claim him because of her fear of Dracula. Something he hadn't dared to voice. He wanted her to claim him for love and nothing more. Spike’s head was starting to ache from all the William-like thoughts, but for once he was in accord with his former self.

There was a faint rustle of paper that caught his attention. It was coming from the gallery above him and then there was a tiny sniffle. Which was all he needed to hear. She was safe-- weepy but safe. His face split with a relieved smile and all the tension left his body.

Giles took a gulp of his Earl Grey. "Right now, what is wrong?" He directed his question at the blond vampire who was grinning like a demented loon at him and the girls. "I say Spike, are you quite alright?" The Watcher had been wondering if he was going to have to stake the idiot in front of him for whatever he had done to Buffy. Giles's mind veered away from the possibilities of what else his charge had been 'up to' with her Sire. Instead, he focused on the here and now and the smiling prat.

Spike nodded and winked at Tara and Anya, pointing above him. Realisation dawned on the two women's faces.

"What happened to your face? It's quite bruised." Giles changed the subject as he picked the raisons out of his pastry with a grimace. Every time he ordered one without, they gave him one with raisons - he was starting to wonder if it was a conspiracy to poison him. He looked up at Spike and briefly wondered why he was pointing at the ceiling. He had started to wonder if Spike had lost all his marbles; he'd been acting odd in some form or other ever since he had saved Buffy.

"Drac. Tried to have a go at Buffy and yours truly got in the way." Spike for once was reticent to elaborate. Which earned him an arch look from the Watcher sitting opposite him. Spike heard a small snort from above him, and another rustle of paper. He was starting to wonder what exactly she was reading.

Buffy didn't even have to strain to hear the conversation below her on the shop floor. Her vampiric hearing picked up everything, even Anya's boil threat, and eww!!

She had managed to beat everyone in today, and had holed herself up in the forbidden reading section since before sunrise. Reading everything she could find on vampire claiming rituals. And oh boy, were there loads of essays and books on the subject. The Watchers seemed to be fascinated by it. She was still trying to make sense of why Spike rejected her attempt at claiming him. At first she’d wondered if maybe she'd done it wrong? Was there a ritual or some words that had to be said? But as the confused vampire had carried on her research, Buffy realised that she hadn't done anything wrong. 'He just didn't want her.'

"I'm sorry, did you say Dracula attacked Buffy?" Giles's sharp tones pulled Buffy from her maudlin thoughts.

"Yeah, but I managed to get in there before he could hurt her. Even gotta souvenir from him." Spike tossed the fang onto the table.

Tara poked at it with a cautious finger. "That's his fang?

Spike rocked back on his chair and laced his fingers behind his head. "Yup, kicked it out of his head myself."

"Good Lord, that is revolting," Giles gasped. He didn't even want to ask why Spike would take such a disgusting trophy.

Anya picked the small incisor up and stared at it thoughtfully. "This could be useful." She looked over at Spike. "Can I keep it?"

Spike eyed his prize for a moment and nodded his assent. He laid his index finger along the side of his nose and winked at the perky woman. "Great minds, right?"

She nodded in agreement. "Good." Anya tucked the tooth away in her pocket. Tara frowned at the two of them. She’d a creeping suspicion as to what they were planning and it jarred her Wiccan beliefs. But, she held her tongue.

"Something we need to talk out a bit, Watcher." Spike stretched his back and sighed happily as it clicked and cracked loudly.

Buffy's curiosity was peaked. She quietly shut the leather bound book she had been reading and shuffled forward on her butt to have a peek.

"Demon girl is moving in with me and Buffy." Spike’s quietly uttered statement was met with a volley of what's, why's and when's.

Buffy's fingernails dug into her palms, drawing blood. 'He's inviting Anya to stay to act as a chaperone?' was all she could think, her insecurities and self-doubt colouring her every thought. Spike's rejection had cut her deeply-- not just on a vampiric level, but it also played on her human insecurities that were deeply rooted in her Dad and Angel's rejection of her love. She wanted him all to herself and that was why she had tried to claim him, to show him she loved him, nothing more and nothing less. And now he was moving Anya in? Buffy was too caught up in her self-pitying that she had lost sight of the real picture and the threats Dracula had made towards Anya.

He Ignored all the questions being thrown at him. "You alright, love?" Spike called up to Buffy. He'd scented her blood and his eyes flashed amber. His body wound tight, ready to spring into action, but something held him in place. He turned his head to stare up at the forbidden section, his entire body leaning towards her, but at the same time still. Spike knew he was in the doghouse with her but had no idea what to do to repair the damage he had inflicted on her because of the aborted claim.

With a huff, Buffy stood and stomped down the metal stairs. "Fine. Why would you be worried?" she asked in a pointed tone and flopped down next to Tara, all the while glaring at Spike.

"Why am I moving into your place? Please don’t get me wrong, it is a very nice home, but I like my bed not yours…I tried it out and it is too soft. This isn't some sort of kinky threesome thing, is it? I haven't had one of those since 1916, and I have to say, Alphonse Capone was really quite innovative and his first lieutenant was very good at pleasuring us both orally." Anya's glaze flicked back and forth between the two blond vampires.

"Al Capone? Really?" Giles turned in surprise to his shop manager. He sometimes forgot about the history which she had witnessed and created. "What was he like?" The words shot out of his mouth before he could stop himself. Giles mentally slapped himself as he knew that the literal girl would misinterpret his question. He glanced over at Spike and exchanged a resigned smile with the now smirking vampire.

"Well, he was surprisingly well endowed. His penis was nicely shaped and had a very stimulating curve to it. But I just realised that wasn't what you were asking. Yes Rupert, I met Al Capone, he was a very charming man for a homicidal criminal." Anya folded her hands primly on her lap. She leant over to Tara and whispered very loudly, "I'll tell you all about his penis later."

"Oh, thanks." Tara looked nervous at the details she would no doubt be getting later about the gangster.
Buffy shot a sympathetic glance the wiccan's way. 'I soooo didn't want to be there for that pillow talk, but if Spike gets his way, then I guess I will.'

++++++++++

"Why did you wish for my presence?" Dracula leant against the wall, attempting to appear nonchalant but in reality trying to ensure he didn't collapse in a shivering heap on the floor. He had never thought that Spike would be strong enough to take him on and bloody him up so severely. But the Aurelian Whelp had, and for that alone he had to die. Dracula was acutely aware that he couldn't let anyone find out that he had been bested in a fight.

"What happened last night?" Glory paced back and forth, stopping only to slap at one of her fawning minions occasionally. "That vampire was here-- the one with the funny coloured hair-- and you didn't tear his heart out? Instead you let one of your whores dust?"

She continued screaming at the incensed Master vampire, not caring in the slightest that she had insulted him. He had already vowed revenge on Anyanka for her destroying his beloved childe; he had some ideas as to how to make her hurt. It was useful to know she was now mortal, and easy to break. He just needed to get his hands on the ex-vengeance demoness and then he and Maruska would paint her body with her own blood and then hand her over to Glory.

"I want my Key found immediately. We have wasted enough time and I really am getting tired of being here." Glory paused in front of her brown robed minions. "Get out there and start watching the Slayer and her merry band of misfits. I mean, really. Whoever heard of a Slayer having friends? That is just not normal!" Glory shuddered.

"I will do my best to observe her as well," Dracula offered quietly.

"Yeah, I know exactly what you've been observing and it disgusts me…sweating bodies linking together and acting even more bestial that usual." Glory's small mouth was pursed in a moue of disgust. "Face it, she was never yours to start with and will never be."

Glory eyed her minions angrily. "Why are you all still here?" There was a mad scramble to the door.

"Remember, look for anything unusual in her life: new friends or changes in her home...maybe a new pet?" Glory shouted after them. "Or car...who the hell knows what my Key looks like. That sneaky Slayer took my monk from me before I could find out...maybe it's a pair of shoes?"

Dracula managed not to laugh at the now rambling blonde as her mind slowly deteriorated in front of him. He sighed, knowing that it was his responsibility to find her a meal. But then he paused and stared hard at the now drooling mess that was rocking back and forth on his flagstone floor, tearing out her frizzy hair. There were none of her followers around and he really couldn't care less if she was suffering. Dracula called for a minion to help him walk back to his room.

He left Glory where she fell on the floor, a sweating and drooling mess.

+++++++++

"Are you going to tell us what happened?" Anya sat down on the left of Spike, hemming him in between her and Tara. Her long fingers tapped the side of her neck pointedly. She had noticed the tension and the looks being exchanged between the two blond vampires and her interest was piqued even more. There was a story begging to be told here and she was going to be the one to pry it out of the unusually tight-lipped Spike who was pouting down at his hands and then staring longingly at the firmly closed door.

Spike stared at the irritating barrier of the training room, his mind racing, wondering what Buffy was telling her 'dad' and how long it would be before the fragile détente he and Giles had established would be shattered. As much as he crowed to the world about being the lone wolf and the Big Bad he had started to enjoy the curious friendship that was slowly evolving between himself and his fellow countryman. He had hoped that it would grow into something more, but if his pain in the arse childe started with the crocodile tears, he was buggered.

"Spike?" Anya poked him in the ribs hard to get his attention. "Are you brooding?"

Spike did a double-take and flecks of citrine shot through his blue eyes. "I do not brood!" he huffed.

Tara giggled at the affronted look on his face.

Spike sighed. His entire body appeared to collapse in on itself. His forehead hit the table with a resounding thunk and a loud groan erupted from his lips. "I'm a heartless bastard who deserves to be staked out to meet the sunrise."

Tara hesitantly placed a comforting hand on his hunched back. "I...I'm sure you don't deserve to be k...illed?"

Spike turned his head and rested his check on the table and stared up at the compassionate girl. "I do."

"Enough with your cryptic remarks, just tell us!" Anya smacked him gently on the back of the head. "If I have to move in with you two for my own safety then I don't want to have to listen to this all the time!"

Spike sat up and eyed the two women curiously, 'since when had he acquired two confidants?'

"And before you say anything, yes, we are your friends and yes we do care about you," Tara interjected.

"How did you know what I was thinking?" Spike asked in surprise

"Women's intuition," Anya explained dismissively. "Now tell us what you did and then we can try and fix it." Her dark eyes glittered with the anticipation of finally discovering what had happened.

Both of the vampires were hiding something. The fight with Dracula had been discussed, analysed and of course meticulously recorded by Giles. But there was something more to it all-- the furtive way Spike's eyes slid away from Buffy's imploring looks. Both of their body language’s screamed discontent and unhappiness. It made her teeth ache and she wanted it to stop before she moved into their place.

+++++++

"Giles, I don't think he loves me." Buffy's whispered confession broke the silence in the training room. She swung at the punching bag half-heartedly and turned tear-filled hazel eyes towards her uncomfortable watcher, hoping he could fix everything.

Giles pulled off his glasses and tucked them into his shirt pocket; he definitely didn't want to be able to see her face during this conversation, coward that he was. Like all males of any species-- human or demonic-- Giles wasn't equipped to handle the tears of a woman he cared about, especially Buffy's.
He sat down on the small couch and sighed. He glanced briefly at the door, wondering if he could make a break for it. "Buffy dear, that is really rather a preposterous statement."

Buffy whirled to face her beleaguered Watcher, ready to launch into a volley of defensive words. Her eyes filled with reproach at his statement, her lower lip wobbling ominously.

Giles winced and braced himself for hurricane Buffy and waited...and waited. He opened his eyes and was witness to the silently weeping Slayer. "Oh my dear...what on earth happened?"

"He...he...du...doesn't l...lu…love me!" Buffy’s chin shook and then she threw herself at her pole-axed Watcher. She half fell onto the couch and half onto him and indulged herself in a good cry.

" There...there, Buffy, now none of this!" Giles exclaimed as he hesitantly patted her on the back. He was silently wishing Joyce were here to tend to her daughter. He had no idea what to do or say. His extensive Watcher's training had never covered situations like this.

Buffy wiped her face on Giles's shoulder; the bristle of the tweed on her face was soothing in a way she had never expected. The scents of ink, dust and tea that she inhaled comforted her, calming the despair within her. The three predominant scents would always offer her a feeling of security; they were intrinsically interconnected with Giles in her sense memory.

+++++++++

"So she tried to claim you and you rejected her?" Anya's thin eyebrows shot up in surprise. "But I would have thought that was the culmination of all your wet dreams?"

"Anya!" Tara flushed bright red at those final words. The flustered Wiccan was already discomfited by the revelation that Buffy had tried to claim Spike. She was sure that the newly turned Slayer wouldn't want Spike to be so frank about their bedroom activities. Her stomach roiled with her internalised distress towards the direction in which their conversation had taken. Also, she felt that she wasn't informed enough to be able to contribute to the discussion, whereas Anya was-- she had a thousand years of experience.

"She's crying again." Spike sighed and covered his face. "I feel like such a bastard, curse me now."

Tara looked over at the door, "I...I…don't think Giles can cope with Buffy crying." She stood, and looked down at Spike's huddled shoulders, feeling torn between the two of them. She laid a gentle hand on the back of Spike’s head and was surprised at the softness of his hair. She had expected it to be dried out from all the bleaching and hair products he slathered on it. “Can I just say one thing?”
Spike nodded and sighed.

“I...I may not be the foremost expert on the Bitey thing, but it sounds to me like she tried to c…claim you without asking and that’s wrong?”

Spike’s shouldered tensed and then relaxed. “S’what I was thinking…”

“Have you tried to explain this to her?” Tara whispered.

Spike shrugged, “Tried too…”

“And?” Anya interrupted.

Spike sat up and gestured to the training room. “Behold my success,” he explained wryly.

“Hmmm…” Anya tapped a perfectly manicured fingernail to her lips. “You need to try harder. Why are men so bad at talking? I really believe if they tried harder there would be less demand for Vengeance demons.”
Tara giggled and Spike sat up. Tara’s hand slid off his head and landed on his shoulder, she squeezed it firmly, offering silent support to the distraught vampire.

“Can’t see that happening though. Men are too silly for words. There will always be a demand for Hoffy’s form of vengeance.” Anya folded her arms and eyed Spike closely. “What stopped you returning her claim?”

“Well, we were having a nice bath and there was some…well…”Spike glanced almost shyly at Tara, embarrassed about discussing anything intimate with the motherly girl.

“Naughty touching?” Tara surprised them both with a wicked smile.

“Well, yeah…” Spike answered, flustered beyond all belief. Tara was too pure in his mind to even consider naughty touching.

“Really, Spike! You think Willow and I don’t do stuff?”

Spike resisted the impulse to slap his hands over his ears and chant lalalalalala. It was as if Joan of Arc had announced she liked a good snog after a fight.

“So she bit you?” Anya deftly changed the subject, barely concealed mirth in light her brown eyes as she glanced over at Spike’s face and the rabbit in headlights look he had on it at the moment.

Tara blinked and then her eyes unwillingly shot to the bite mark on Spike’s pale neck. Her mind filled with images of Buffy and her fangs embedded in his throat and she flushed a bright red. She flinched internally; there was some things best left to the demonic experts.

Before Spike had a chance to retort, a sniffle from the direction of the training room reached his ears and distracted him.

"Go to her please, Glinda," he muttered softly. He wanted his girl to be looked after and Glinda was the one to do this, not the befuddle nit that was in there with his Slayer. Also, the wiccan looked like she needed a break from the bloodtalk.

Anya waited until Tara had made a graceful retreat. "I think you shocked our not so innocent lesbian witch with your bloodshed talk." She crossed her arms and waited for Spike to look up at her. "So why didn't you bite her back and save yourself and all of us all this angst?"

"Your sympathy is utterly underwhelming, pet." Spike stood and began to pace, running his fingers through his hair. "I stopped her attempt because she was doing it for the wrong reasons. Not for love."

"Are you sure that's the only reason?"

Spike looked over his shoulder at Anya who was leaning forward and staring at him intently. "Wot you getting at?"

"Were you also being a Victorian male and feeling insecure because she initiated the claim and not you?" Anya watched as Spike's face contorted with guilt.
+++++++++

"Mr Giles?" Tara slipped into the room and clicked the door shut behind her.

Giles gestured to the newcomer, relief flooding his entire being. She would be able to cope with the tears. He also needed a drink, and bugger the time, his Slayer wanted to claim one quarter of the infamous Scourge of Europe. As much as the sod was growing on him, there were limits!

Tara sat down next to the sodden bundle of Slayer who was clutching Giles’s waist. She gently pulled Buffy off her startled and extremely uncomfortable Watcher and into her own arms. She rocked back and forth calming Buffy with her softly spoken words.

“Thank you, dear girl…” Giles stood and then leaned down and cautiously patted Buffy on the shoulder, before he beat a hasty retreat to find that bottle of scotch he reserved for Buffy meltdowns.

+++++++++++++

Spike hesitated at the door. He was about to enter the lion’s den and he was positive that he wouldn’t escape unscathed. He was armed with Anya’s advice; she had been sympathetic towards him once the entire sorry tale had been told. She had understood his reasoning for the aborted claim. The frank woman had even added that Buffy’s previous emotional entanglements also explained her attempt at initiating the claim. She had been quite firm in her advice – be gentle but firm and state your case. So here he stood, ready to explain himself yet again to his girl.

Tara and Anya had left a few moments ago to collect some clothes for his new flatmate. There were reproachful looks cast on him from all three mortals. From the two women the looks were more of a ‘hurry up and go and talk to her’ reproach. With Giles it was a ‘sort this out soon as I don’t want a liver replacement operation because of her’ look. The vampire had waited patiently for his girl to leave her inner sanctum, but to no avail. So he had to beard the lioness in her den.

Spike nudged the door open with his boot and peered into the training room. ‘Time for the mountain to go to Mohammed.’

The only sign she was aware of his presence was the straightening of her spine. Buffy kept her back to Spike and continued to fiddle with the slim bladed throwing knife. She flipped it over and over, each time catching its handle. She cradled it in one hand and studied the blade carefully.

Anything to keep her from looking at Spike.

She still couldn’t face him, not after what he’d done to her. He had broken her heart more deftly than either Angel or her dad had done.

“Love?” Spike took a hesitant step into the quiet room.

Buffy’s shoulders hunched at the softly uttered endearment. One she seriously doubted he meant. A small part of her was also now making with the guilts, telling her she had overreacted and was punishing Spike for something she had done.

Spike sighed and looked over his shoulder at Giles, who was busy pretending not to eavesdrop while at the same time rolling a stake on the counter and sipping from a decidedly dodgy smelling cup of tea. It was a silent but obvious message -- he nodded and took another step into the room.

“Buffy, can I explain?” Spike hated the wheedling tone to his voice. 'The things that loving this woman does to me.’ He reached a shaking hand out towards her. “Bout the Claim, pet…”

Buffy chewed her lower lip, aware of every move he made. Her entire being craved his touch, but her pride stopped her. She was tired, confused and scared. All she wanted was too see her Mom and curl up with her and let her make everything better.

Spike growled quietly, frustrated at her silence, and then decided to toss the cat in amongst the pigeons and see what happened. “Thing is, love… the Claim, you did it for the wrong reasons.” Spike braced himself for an impassioned rebuttal from the rigid girl in front of him. “I love you and do want you… as mine for all time…but not…not…not because you were feeling a bit wobbly and wanted to hide. I want all of you, every little bit of you, even the not so perfect bits…BUT I want the claim to do done out of love!” He waited for something, a sign that his impassioned words had made an impact on her.

But he was greeted with silence.

Buffy’s shoulders hunched even more, there it was. The teeny tiny part of her that had been smacking her upside the head was right. She was wrong and now it was a mess. Buffy had no idea what to do. So she kept quiet.

Spike thrust his thumbs into his waistband and rocked on his heels. The silence was getting to the verbose vampire. “Please, Childe?”

He tried to suppress the quiver of disappointment at her lack of interaction with him, but failed. He had laid out everything and she had not responded. A tendril of doubt coiled its self around his fragile psyche and gave it a squeeze.

“You didn’t ask me, Slayer. You just sunk your fangs into me and tried to do something for the wrong reasons. Something that is so precious, so intimate between two vampires - who love each other. It’s something so fragile and which needs to be done the right way. But no, you jump me in the tub and try to claim me because you felt needy. I want the two of us to claim each other out of love and not necessity… Christ luv, even when I asked you to marry me under Red’s spell, I asked, didn’t go all Neanderthal on you and club you over the head and drag you off to my cave. I didn’t just foist it on you without discussing it first.”

Buffy winced at the desperation that leeched into his rough voice. She shook her hand; the blade of the knife had cut her index finger. Holding her hand up she watched mesmerised as blood welled up and ran down the back of her hand. She tried to ignore his passionate words but failed, she started to feel even worse. Slowly Buffy began to realise what she had tried to do last night had been wrong and she had hurt Spike.

Spike’s nostrils flared and he rushed towards her filled with panic. The scent of her blood flooded the room and made his mind whirl. He reached for her stiff shoulders and turned her to face him. His pale hand grasped her injured one and Spike examined it closely. “Are you okay?”

Buffy firmed her lips and pulled her hand free, stopping his panicked inspection. She couldn’t bring herself to even look into his eyes let alone talk to him. The guilt was filling her.

Spike caught hold of her shoulder with his now free hand and prevented her from pulling away from him. Fear and the pain of his childe’s physical rejection of him was filling him with a curious burning sensation. She hadn’t spoken a word to him since her failed claim, and he hated it. The panic roiled in his stomach and a chill ran down his spine. Their link was strong but he was beginning to worry that he had damaged it and more importantly, her. Maybe he should’ve kept quiet, but it was too late, he’d done it now.

Buffy’s hands hung limply at her sides, her entire being rejecting his attempt at contact. Blood dripped on the polished wood, staining it indelibly. She kept her eyes firmly fixed on her feet.

“I…I…can’t do this…” With that she vanished. Spike stumbled forward, his hands clutching at air. Buffy had used her disappearing trick on him and she was gone.

A/N Not my fault Megan and Kat made me do it ::grin:: It will be fixed I swear and the updates will be coming regularly now I got over the argh how do I fix it saga!!
Chapter 30 by Schehrezade
“Italics = Thoughts

I still don’t understand why we had to leave? Spike said I was moving into your place, not haring off to the big city!”

Buffy grunted and stared out the window; the outskirts of LA were still grotty and underdeveloped.

“Buffy? I am trying to talk with you! You make me drive this poor substitute for a penis for over two hours and barely talk to me! I know from films that when girls have a road trip there is female bonding and banter, not sulking! This is not fun.” Anya sighed. She gingerly manoeuvred the red convertible around a trunk and began to search for the exit they needed.

“Hmm…”

“Hmm, yourself! Buffy what are you doing? Running away from Spike? He really was quite upset. You should have stayed and talked with him,” Anya snapped in frustration as she veered past a stalled car and silently cheered that she had managed to not hit it.

“Gah!”

“So you’re ‘pity me’ mood has resulted in a reversion to a Neanderthal form of communication. Was there magic beer as well? Xan…um…well, I heard all about cave Buffy…” Anya’s eyes filled with tears and she sniffled loudly.

“Humph…”

Anya sighed and carried on driving. She missed Xander but despite the outward appearance of confidence in his return, deep down she knew.

She just knew.

+++++++++++

“You let her go,” Giles slurred as his unsteady hand slapped down on the table. He’d been aiming for the bottle but missed by a mile. “Why did you do that? I miss Buffy, she’s sweet… and you let her run away. She’s prone to that, y’know?”

Spike glared over the rim of his glass and downed it in one. “Thank you for stating the obvious, you nit! I know she’s pranced off. S’not like she’s playing hide and seek, is it?” Spike staggered up and began to stumble around the flat, “here Buffy…Buffy…come out…come out wherever you are.” He pulled open the bedroom doors with a dramatic flourish and peered in. “Nope, no sulky Slayer in there.” He sauntered back to the dining table and straddled the chair resting his chin on the back. “And you’re about as pissed as a man can get without needing his sodding stomach pumped.”

“Yeah.” Giles looked up from the table and started to giggle. “I do miss Buffy. But she can be a pain in the arse tho’…” Giles looked around carefully. Using over exaggerated movements, he pressed his shaking finger to his lips. “Shhh….don’t tell her I said that, right?” And then lapsed into drunken giggles again.

“Mate, you’re giggling!” Spike stared blearily over at his inebriated drinking partner. Giles nodded and carried on giggling. “Seriously Watcher, stop it!” Spike gazed woozily at Giles and waited for the girlish sounds to go away.

They didn’t. “You sound like Peaches after one too many Absinthe’s…wos that one time in Monmarte when he said he saw the Green Fairy floating around his head. Dru loved that. Finally had someone else who saw fairies.” Spike smiled nostalgically. “Soddin ponce was the Green Fairy the next morning…think he puked up every victim’s blood he’d drained…” Spike, despite his inebriation, stopped, realising that Giles’s all too pricked ears were absorbing everything he said.

Giles just giggled harder. “Fairy…Angel…did he flutter his leettle wings? Y’know, he really is the most tiresome bore sometimes…never shaw what Buffy was attracted too. His forehead is HUOOOGE!” Giles waved his hands around his head, “like a ruddy cliff face…and his phizz is about as expressive as one too. Right ugly sod… def… defin… hic... definantly a three paper bag job!” Giles started giggling again.

Spike sighed. The Watcher had defiantly lost it, but then again some of the drivel that had poured out of his mouth about the prancing ninny in LA was right funny. But the giggling was sodding awful, and he decided to anathestize his sensitive ears with his friend JD.

His only friend…now that his Childe had scampered off with Anya.

Spike reached down and pulled a fresh bottle out of the box by the table and broke the seal. Tipping his head back the vampire drained half the bottle in one go. His throat burned from the booze and the familiar false warmth filled his body.

Giles snorted and sat back up and pointed unsteadily at Spike. “You should go after her. While yer there, get back m’car. Anya stole it!”

Spike nodded. “I know mate, but y’know all my life and unlife I have chased the girl…fer oncesh it’d be a real eye opener for Ol’Spike if the bird chased him.” He tilted his head back and took another slug from the bottle, deftly slapping Giles’s hand away from his JD. “Get yer own…sh’mine…”

“Oi, you ponce – y’er th’un that invited me over for a piss up!” Giles stared woozily at the three Spikes that were sitting opposite him.

“Yeah, an’ don’t puke on the floor…it’s some sort of stripped pine I think. Smells nice and I don’ need chunks of Giles vom making pretty patterns on’t!”

Giles turned green and retched, “not nice…gimme something to settle m’stomach!”

Spike pushed over a glass filled with JD and watched as the drunk human fumbled for it and then, with a woozy but triumphant shout, raised it to his lips only to tip half of it down his front. Giles gulped down the dregs with a satisfied sigh. “Nice.”

With that he fell off the chair with a thunk and started snoring.

+++++++

“Is he overcompensating for his penis size?”

“Huh?” Buffy turned to look at Anya.

“Angel. Why does he have such a big place?” Anya pointed at the deco hotel that they had pulled up next to.

“Anya, is everything always about penises?” Buffy asked with a grin, the first real smile to cross her face since she had left Sunnydale. “As for big homes…lairs… no idea. He shifts from apartments, to mansions, to weird offices with underground apartments to hotels. Who knows?” Buffy shrugged.

“Well, there’s money and friendship…but penises are fun and they always get a reaction when discussed.” Anya winked at Buffy and pushed open the driver’s door and got out, groaning and stretching as she did. “Come on, I want to see what it looks like from the inside. Is he rich?”

“Who, Angel?” Buffy popped the trunk and began to pull out their suitcases. “Dunno…” she shrugged.

“He would have to be to pay the utilities on this monster.” Anya took the two small weekend bags and clattered up the path and headed around the fountain towards the door.

“Hey, wait up!” Buffy huffed as she ran after Anya.

++++++++++

“You left our most splendiferous one alone and ill?” Jinx cringed slightly at the sight of Dracula’s still bruised face.

“Yes I did, now be gone,” Dracula snarled at the crusty minion. He wanted to go back to his bed and let Marushka coddle him a bit more. The injured vampire needed more blood as well. He snapped his fingers at one of his few minions and pointed towards the cellars where his prisoners were being kept.

“But Glorificus is to be revered…and her divine body must be cherished and kept unsweaty and undrooling – she hates that!” Jinx babbled as he backed away from the glowering Master Vampire--injured or not he could hurt the brown robed demon.

“I’m sure she does!” Dracula put his hand over Jinx’s face and pushed him away. “Maybe instead of fluttering around me you would be best served cleaning her up and making her more presentable?”

++++++++

“Schspike?” Giles rolled onto his back and fell off the couch, landing with a clatter on the floor. “Chrischt, how the hell did I get here?” Giles tried to pull himself up and then fell back with a groan. He was more comfy on the floor anyway.

“Wotcher, keep the moaning down to a dull roar. Am trying to have a think.” Spike was slouched in his favourite armchair; legs splayed, he had an unlit cigarette in one hand a bottle in the other.

“Thinking make my brain hurt…” Giles giggled.

“God, don’t start with the girly stuff again. Just got some peace and quiet,” Spike muttered.

“You should go to her and put her over your lap and give her a long needed hiding.” Giles nodded sagely and tucked his hands under his head.

Spike squinted over at the relaxed form of his Slayer’s Watcher and quirked his scarred brow in question, “Rupes, you do realised you just told me to smack your Slayer’s arse?”

“Yup.”

“Why?”

“Cos instead being the pain in the arse that she is sometimes, I think she deserves to have a pain in the arse!” Giles smiled triumphantly up at the ceiling; his drunken logic made sense to him.

“Rupes, wot happened to the ‘hurt her and I’ll stake you’ stuff?”

“Well yes, but she is behaving rather badly, running away rather than talking things out.” Giles yawned. “Tired now.” With that his eyes snapped shut and a stentorian snore emanated from his open mouth.

“Lightweight.” Spike shook his head and sipped from the bottle held loosely in his hand. He wondered when he’d fallen into an alternative dimension where the pissed git was offering up his Slayer’s arse for a tanning.

+++++++++

“So are we gonna stand here staring at the entrance or go in?” Anya tapped her foot and waited for Buffy to answer. She was starting to get bored with the one-sided conversation and wished that she hadn’t agreed to this road trip. It was nothing like the movies, no amusing anecdotes exchanged or silly situations involving scary looking yokels chasing them out of town. She had hoped to talk to Buffy and make her see reason about the denied claim. Spike’s explanation for his reasons to halt the attempt were right and now it was a question of getting through the stubborn Buffy shield.

Anya sighed, “I’m tired, hungry and need to pee. You may have already forgotten that humans sweat but I am mortal and I smell!”

“Anya? Oh my god, Buffy?” Dawn’s disembodied voice rose into a high-pitched squeal.

The door was throw open and Joyce stood there in the entrance, the light spilling out from behind her and limning her in a golden glow. She stood there with a big smile on her face and her arms open and outstretched towards Buffy.

“Mommy?” Buffy’s eyes filled with tears and she launched herself into her mother’s comforting embrace. Joyce caught hold of her sobbing mess of a daughter with one arm and extended the other to Anya. Anya cocked her head in curiosity and then with only a slight hesitation, accepted Joyce’s motherly affection. She wrapped her arms around both Buffy and her mother and patted them both with stiff hands. Unsure of how to embrace anyone who wasn’t a lover, Anya’s movements were awkward but well meaning.

+++++++++++

“’Preciate this, mate. Not too sure if I could drive in a straight line let alone stay on the asphalt tonight.” Spike slouched in his seat and tried to look cool in the bright red VW Bug that Clem was driving towards Los Angles. Spike sighed as he felt the last of his street credit vanish into the ether. ‘The Big Bad’ in a VW, oh the humiliation of it. The things he did for Buffy.’

“No problem, Buddy. I told you whenever you needed anything call me…Uh Spike, could you crack a window? You smell like a brewery and it’s making the kittens carsick.” Clem gestured to the three cat baskets in the backseat, which were filled with Bengal kittens.

Spike squinted at the floppy skinned demon and opened his window, letting the cool night air flood the small car. It helped him sober up slightly and also helped with the suspicious feline smells that were wafting over from the backseat.

“Thanks buddy.” Clem grinned and the then flicked on the CD player. The cheery tones of Jessica Simpson filled the car and echoed harshly in Spike’s sensitive ears, so much so that he wondered how painful it’d be to tear them off. “She’s a siren, this one!” Clem nodded enthusiastically along with the peppy music.

“Wot are you doing with the kittens?” Spike gestured to the howling baskets behind him. Apparently Bengal kittens didn’t appreciate the not so dulcet tones of Jessica.

“Ohh, my auntie Vera bred them! She has three breeding pairs. Won them in that big inter-dimensional poker game. You know the one where Ben Affleck gambled his box office appeal away? Man, I never knew that an actor could do that—put up his career as a stake in a game. Scary, huh?” Clem didn’t wait for the rapidly sobering vampire to reply, “Anyway, she won the breeding pairs and has been making a killing!”

“Really?” Spike turned to peer at the kittens with interest. “How much are they? Might get one for the Nibblett.”

Clem chortled, an action that did interesting things to his skin flaps. It made them vibrate all over the place. “Spike, you couldn’t afford one.”

“Could too,” Spike mumbled and without asking, unlatched one basket and deftly pulled out one of the yowling kittens. It looked like a miniature wild cat. “Right cute little sod!” Spike held it up by the scruff of the neck and examined it carefully. The small spotty kitten mewed angrily, its tiny paws flexing in the air as it swung from Spike’s hand.

“Spike, you’re holding about 140,000 bucks there.”

Spike’s hand spasmed and he nearly dropped the small animal on its expensive head. “You’re sodding joking?”

“Nope.” Clem glanced over at the pole-axed vampire. “Maybe you should put it back with its litter?”

Without any further encouragement, Spike stuffed the kitten back into the basket and checked that it was latched properly. “60,000 quid for a ball of fur? What the hell is the world coming to? Clem, where are these going?”

“Oh, Auntie Vera is sending them as a tithe to our pod leader. He likes pets…doesn’t eat em, keeps them as companions…go figure…”

“Yeah…go figure,” Spike echoed in a stunned voice.

+++++++++

“Mommy, are you feeling okay?” Buffy ran her hands over Joyce’s smiling face, reassuring herself that her mother was real, alive and healthy.

Joyce nodded with a smile. “I am. Honey, I had no idea something was wrong until Angel explained what was going on. Then I was in this weird dungeon and he was completing all these awfully painful trials.”

“Huh?” Buffy frowned in confusion.

“Oh, I know this one!” Anya chirped up, her face still mashed against Joyce’s shoulder. The comforting presence of the older woman was calming her in a way that she had never expected. It had been centuries since she had seen her own mother and Joyce’s maternal presence in her life was a constant that she wanted for a long time to come. She was grateful to Angel for letting himself be pureed to save Joyce.

“Really?” Joyce raised a brow in interest.

“Yes, it’s where someone can go for a favor as long as they complete the trials set. Some of them I have heard can be very painful.”

“They were, but it was worth it.” Angel’s calm voice startled the newcomers. Buffy pulled back slightly from Joyce’s embrace and stared over at her ex, who was flanked by a grinning Dawn.

“Buffy!” Dawn bounced towards her shorter sister and joined in the group hug.

“Hey Dawnie.” Buffy’s voice was muffled as she was pressed against her sister’s shoulder. Her demon twitched at the scents and sounds of the bodies surrounding her. It recognised them both as family, but it also recognised them as food. Her stomach gurgled loudly and her fangs dropped slightly.

“Buffy!” Angel’s usually calm voice was authoritative and immediately caught her attention. Something deep inside her responded to his tone and she pulled away from the mom, sister and Anya sandwich and looked over at him, noticing for the first time his face was burned and that he was holding himself stiffly.

“What happened to you?” She sniffed the air and could scent wounds all over his body that were still healing.

“The trials?” Anya asked curiously. “What did they make you do? Drink holy water or maybe swallow holy wafers?”

Joyce turned slightly green at the idea of Angel being hurt for her.

“Well…” Angel broke off when he saw Buffy’s eyes flicker from their normal colour to lavender and back again. He could see she was starved but there was something else in her manner that caught his notice as well, a dejection that he hadn’t witnessed since he had walked away in the smoke that last time in Sunnydale. “What’s wrong, Buffy?”

“Nothing,” she replied shortly, mad at Angel as well for not telling her that her mom had been sick. Buffy crossed her arms and avoided his gaze. Instead, she drank in the sight of her mom. She surreptitiously sniffed and tried to work out if she was healthy. But her vampiric senses were young and she was untrained so it was kind of hard for her to tell. In the end she had to ask. “Are you okay now?”

Joyce reached over and smoothed Buffy’s hair back off her face. “I am now baby, thanks to Angel.”

Buffy eyed her great-great grandsire solemnly, her face set in unreadable lines. Before she could say anything, her stomach growled.

“Right, Buffy you need some blood, come on.” Angel gestured for her to follow him. Something deep inside her responded to his suggestion and despite her wanting to stay with her Mom and Dawnie, Buffy felt her feet move and she followed after Angel. “Joyce, can you possibly help Anya get settled in a room?”

“Sure.” Joyce tucked Anya’s arm into hers and pulled the now chattering blonde with her. Anya’s sharp eyes took in everything; she commented on the Deco building excitedly. Dawn grinned and picked up the cases Buffy had dropped when she had seen Joyce and followed after them. She and her mom had already made up two rooms. As soon as Buffy had called to say that she and Anya were heading down to LA, the Summers women had been in a flurry of cleaning and preparing for the visit, much to Angel’s bemusement.

+++++++++

Dracula drained his last chained victim with relish. He could already feel his body healing from the infusion of fresh blood. The old man slumped in his chains, finally dead after weeks of imprisonment. ‘In death there was release’, Dracula thought wryly as he kicked the dead body.

Marushka stood behind him and watched as his wounds began to heal with the fresh infusion. “Master? Shall I go and retrieve more cattle for you to feed from?”

“We will need to restock with some younger and healthier vintages. That last old man was too bitter for my taste. Send out some of the minions, I have a better use for you my dear. Come to me,” Dracula ordered. His thirst attended to, now he had other needs to be serviced.

Marushka approached her Master with no trepidation; she adored him and would do anything for him. He palmed her pale cheek with one hand and then pushed her hard against the cellar wall. She whirled, her eyes glowing with lust and excitement. She loved it when they screwed on the cooling corpses of their victims. She licked her lips and then vamped out. With a happy snarl she dropped to her knees and lowered her head submissively. Ready to do whatever her sire ordered.

Dracula nodded approvingly at her submissive position. “Remove your clothing,” he ordered, his tone brooking no resistance from her.

Marushka slipped her silk dress off her pale shoulders and allowed it to pool at waist, revealing her naked full breasts to her sire’s gaze. She rose slightly and let the dress fall further, sliding it off her legs. In a smooth move she knelt again nude at his feet. She licked her lips and looked up through her lashes at his impassive face.

“You may tend to my needs.” He unzipped himself and gestured for her to approach him. She crawled over and reached into his trousers and pulled out his erect cock. Without any preamble she took him in her mouth and sank down to the root in a smooth move. He had trained her well; she knew that this was one of his favourites so he would not last more than a few minutes.

Dracula grasped her hair and began to pump his hips. Marushka’s relaxed throat muscles allowed for his cock to move in and out. On each back stroke her tongue curled slightly and rubbed against the vein that throbbed on the underside of his cock. He looked down at her mouth and growled. Her eyes snapped open and looked up at him.

“Do it!” he ordered. “And don’t stop looking up at me.”

Marushka vamped out and kept her amber eyes glued on her sire’s. Her fangs scratched his erect cock and drew blood. “Gently,” he ordered.

For several long minutes the cellar was filled with the sounds of Marushka’s ministrations on her sire’s cock. The slurps, purrs and growls that erupted from her filled throat and mouth were music to his ears. All the while the dead eyes of the various chained corpses bore silent witness to their erotic play.

With a roar Dracula came. His cock jerked over and over as he filled his Bride’s willing mouth with his cum. He pulled out and let the final spurts coat her full and swollen mouth. With a happy sigh he tucked his spent cock back into his trousers and zipped up. He untangled his hand from her hair and patted her on the head. Marushka licked her lips and smiled up at her satisfied sire.

“Follow me to my chambers,” Dracula ordered. “No!” He raised his hand and forestalled her from rising to her feet. “Crawl behind me Childe, it amuses me for you to do so.”

“As you wish, my Master,” she purred and followed his black-clad figure out on her hands and knees.

+++++++++

Tara tucked a blanket over Giles and then curled up in the armchair that Spike had been sitting in before Clem had arrived to pick him up. She rested her chin on one hand and watched as the older man snored loudly and a small trickle of drool ran from the corner of his mouth. She had been fast asleep when a very drunk Spike had called, asking her to baby-sit the prat who couldn’t hold his liquor.

Stumbling around the dorm, she had packed an overnight bag and headed out to the Quad to meet her ride. Spike had been a bit cagey about whom it would be with, only saying that she shouldn’t be scared and to look out for a red VW Bug and a ‘bloke called Clem’.

She shook her head at the image of the sweetest demon she had ever met, peering up at her from under his big hand and waving happily at her from the red Beetle. She shifted and settled back and grinned at the memory of the all the kitties he had in the back. Willow would’ve loved them. Tara’s hearted constricted in sadness-- she missed her Willowtree so much and wanted her home, back in her arms.

Tara wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and sighed. She knew that what Willow was learning was vital to help her exert control and not to abuse magic for her own ends. She was still in shock over the anger Willow displayed and the use of magicks she’d wielded to avenge Buffy. Something she had never expected from Willow. The letters they exchanged lessened the ache of separation, but Tara wanted to see Willow to touch her and make sure that she was okay.

But she could be patient, and in a sense she was happy that Willow was in Devon. At least it meant she was safe from Glory and the vampires that had allied themselves with the goddess.

She snuggled down under her blanket and dozed off, unaware that she was being watched.

+++++++++

“Here.” Angel handed Buffy a mug full of warmed blood and picked up his own and sipped at it, for the first time in his unlife comfortable with another witnessing him feed. It was not as if she didn’t do the same. Part of him twinged with regret that Buffy was now forced into the dark as a demon just like him. All his sacrifices for them had been in vain. He had left her so she could have a normal life, walk in the sun with a boy and have a family. Now instead she was one of his clan, family, and so far beyond his reach that it was beyond funny and bordering on pathetic. His unlife sucked. Angel sighed and stared at Buffy as she gulped down her blood making nummy noises-- she had no shyness about her

A bit like Spike.

Angel grimaced; despite their truce, he was still envious that Spike had everything. He had Buffy’s unequivocal love. Something he had thrown away.

“More?” Buffy asked hopefully.

“Really?” Angel turned to the industrial sized fridge in the kitchen and pulled out a pitcher of blood. Before he could heat it, Buffy pulled it from his hands and began to gulp the cold liquid down with a greedy moan. Angel stared in shock at her actions, slightly repulsed.

Buffy drained the last dregs of the pig’s blood and burped. “Oopsie. Sorry, I was starved and still healing from the other night—”

“The other night? What happened?” Angel sniffed the air and could scent nearly healed wounds to her body. His demon flared with anger and protectiveness that she had been hurt, and just as he was about to launch a cross-examination, Buffy slipped past him and began to dig through the fridge.

“Oh, mom cooked meatloaf!” Buffy jigged on the spot and grabbed the leftovers and began to pick at it, her greasy fingers snagging more and more of the cold food and she stuffed it in her mouth, chewing noisily and purring with relish.

“No…you don’t need to eat…you’re a vampire—” Angel trailed off and stared aghast at the sight of a Buffy with her fangs flashing as she chomped her way through the meatloaf. “That’s disgusting, just like Spike and his unnatural eating habits…you’re cut from the same cloth.” Angel’s mouth tightened in disgust and he stared down into his half-empty mug, nearly missing the twitch of Buffy’s shoulders at the mention of Spike’s name. Unable to stop himself, Angel vamped out and growled loudly.

“What did Spike do to you?” he barked out, causing Buffy to drop the meatloaf pan and jump backwards in shock.

She tried not to lose control, but she did. Her full mouth trembled ominously and her lavender tinted eyes filled with tears. Buffy sniffled and then a deluge of tears poured down her face. “I…I…I…he…he…hurt me!” She wailed and threw herself into Angel’s arms.

Angel grunted at the impact and stood there with his arms hanging loosely at his sides, unwilling to touch her, to hold her or even to embrace her. He was aching too, but she was so soft, so sweet and smelled so damned good he just froze. His mouth watered and something stirred in his loins, it stretched out and hardened, pressing against the lost love of his unlife’s stomach, before he arched his hips backwards and away from her slender body. Instead of allowing the familiar arousal flood his being, he focused on the stuttered words that were still hiccupping out of her mouth.

Buffy mashed her face against Angel’s chest, and sniffled loudly. He felt wrong, too big and the muscles were a bit softer than Spike’s. Less definition of muscle tone and he smelt weird. He smelt like Willow did after a magic session, which was weird, as Angel didn’t like magic – not after the whole Du Lac thing. Also, there was something else underlying the stinky magic stuff, something she recognised but couldn’t quite put her finger on it. She wanted Spike to be hugging her and not Angel. He made her feel like a midget.

“Spike hurt you? How? When? Where? Why?” Angel demanded. He lifted his arms and cradled her shaking shoulders in his hands and pushed Buffy away from his body, and tried to look at her. But she dropped her head and wailed loudly. “My fault. I was too pushy…all my fault.”

“I doubt it, Buffy. You’re good, you’re the Slayer. Spike’s evil. He is the one who is in the wrong. Especially if he hurt you. I will kill him for that!”

“Ah Peaches, wot you got your big ugly mitts on my girl for?”

“Spike?” Buffy squeaked in surprise.

“Spike,” Angel growled angrily. He pushed Buffy behind him and growled challengingly at the bleached blond menace that was lounging in the doorway glaring at him.

“Yeah. Spike. I know m’name, now wot the ruddy hell is going on here?”

“I am going to rip your heart out and stuff it down your throat, you miserable bastard.”Angel howled and launched himself at Spike.

Spike wavered on his feet and glanced at Buffy in surprise. “What rot have you filled his pea brain with Childe…umph…” Spike grunted as Angel rammed his fist into his abdomen, his face took on a decidedly green tinge. ‘A punch to the guts after a drinking binge was not the way to go.’

Buffy squeaked in horror, leaping forward to defend Spike from the berserker Angel who had lost all grasp on sanity and was reduced to trying to pummel Spike into the floor. Spike shook his head and with a single look managed to convey to her to stay out of the fight. He pushed upwards and managed to dislodge Angel, who had for some reason sunk his fangs into Spike’s side and had been trying to gnaw his way through Spike’s torso.

Spike danced backwards, kicking Angel away from his ankle as the enraged brunette vampire tried to latch onto one. “Oi, grow up and stop trying to gum me to death, you old fart!”

“Grrrrr argh!” Angel bellowed and slammed a meaty fist into Spike’s abdomen again.

Spike wavered on his feet, one hand clutched his stomach and the other clapped over his mouth. “Oh no…” his voice was muffled by his hand. Spike’s face turned very pale and his entire body heaved.

“Eww…” Buffy leapt back and out of the way. She had run towards Spike when Angel had punched him in the stomach again.

Angel, however, wasn’t as fast.

There was a splattering noise followed by a stench of alcohol and spicy Buffalo wings.

“Oh my gawd, that is so gross,” Buffy exclaimed as she stared at Angel. The older vamp had frozen in his tracks, his usually dark outfit covered in sick and his hair was hanging limply down. Spike had managed to catch him in the face as he had protejectile vomited all over his grandsire.

“Oh god, I feel better.” Spike rubbed his stomach in relief.

“Well, I don’t.” Angel’s miffed voice was muffled as he tried to avoid opening his mouth. “What the hell have you been drinking and eating?”

“Oh my, boys what have you been doing?” Joyce’s voice rang out from behind Spike, causing all three vampires to freeze into an uncomfortable and guilty tableau.

“Shame on you all.” Her usually kind voice was filled with maternal disapproval. “The two of you are old enough to know that biting and… errr… is that puke?” Joyce stepped away from Angel and stared at Buffy. “Honey, I didn’t know vampire’s could be sick.”

“Me either…” Angel stared at Spike with one eyebrow lifted, not that anyone could see.

“Whoa Spike, I know you don’t like Angel, but even that is a bit much.” Dawn stared at Angel and then looked over at a smirking Spike.

“I would say sorry but he was groping Buffy when I came in.” Spike gingerly prodded the bite in his side and in a petulant voice added, “and he bit me!”

There was a resounding chorus of what’s from Anya, Joyce, Dawn, Buffy and Clem.


A/N these kittens seriously exist checke it out!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_4146000/4146703.stm
Chapter 31 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
Thank thank thank you all for your wonderful feedback and reviews!
"Buffy?" Angel's quiet whisper woke the lightly sleeping vampiress.

"Angel?" Buffy slipped out of her Mom's bed, carefully moving so as not to wake either of her family and utterly unaware that both her mother and sister were feigning sleep. Waiting for Angel to make an appearance.

"What do you want?" she hissed as she pulled on her mother's ratty dressing gown and tiptoed to the suite door. She inhaled deeply and savoured her mother's comforting scents that were so embedded in
the terry-towelling robe.

Angel loomed in the doorway, a dark cloud of broodiness hovering around him as usual. He drank in her dishevelled look like a man parched. She slipped out of the door and shut it firmly behind her.

"You have ‘what's up?’ face." Buffy cautiously sniffed him, checking to see if he'd managed to get the smell off. A wave of relief flooded her. He had. It was just plain ol' Angel smell now. Not yummy and oaky, with a hint of smoke and danger-- that was Spike's smell. Buffy glanced longingly over to where she could sense her sire in his room. The emotional connection between them seemed muffled, as if he had consciously blocked her off.

Buffy had been glad her mom had been there, once Spike had puked on Angel. She was still weirded out by that. Vampires didn't puke according to Spike, but he had. Maybe it was because he ate human food all the time and drank waaay too much whiskey. She could still smell it seeping out of every pore
of his lickable body; in the glint in his eye and the slight sway of his body as he stood being cosseted in the kitchen --sure signs that he was off his head.

Buffy remembered standing there gaping at her injured sire, wanting to help him but unsure of his reaction if she touched him again. Instead, her mom and Anya had helped. Her mom had pushed Angel off to shower and sent Dawn for a first aid kit. Buffy had been frozen to the spot, staring at Spike. She had felt Anya move past her to cluck over the still bleeding bite marks on his side. She had waited for one of them to pay some attention to her, the one he'd rejected, but they hadn't and she started to feel uncomfortable. Maybe she was acting up. Maybe there was something to what Anya had tried to say in the car. She should try and talk with Spike, but it was hard, and he was ignoring her after his comment about Angel touchage.

She’d started to feel very childish and wondered if maybe she was in the wrong. Backing out of the kitchen, her mouth open as she tried to say something, but had failed. Instead she had spun around and run off, missing the look of despair on Spike's face at her exit. She hadn't any idea that he had started after her but had been stopped by Anya and Joyce's firm looks.

"Buffy, you okay?" Angel's solemn tone didn't do anything to elevate her mood. Every inch of her body silently screamed in desperation for her sire, but he was not responding. Instead she had Angel towering over her and wanting to talk. 'And that always went so well'. Buffy suppressed the not so joyful memory of being dumped in a sewer by the so-called love of her life. He was hardly that. She realised with time and maturity that Angel had been her first love, the tender youthful love -- one that never really survives except in your memory. Rose tinted glasses in hindsight were always making it look and feel so much better.

Buffy felt her stomach clench with guilt, another layer added to the ones she'd already cultivated over the last day. All those years she'd held Angel up as the 'One' and she'd never even looked elsewhere for love. Riley, never had a chance. Buffy would've blushed if she could. She was a female Parker. Well kinda-- a monogamous Parker. Using Riley over and over-- to get off, have a 'normal' boyfriend/trophy to keep her friends and family happy and never really giving him her heart.

Then Spike.

Poor Spike. All that time before she'd been turned he'd been there, fighting and helping, bitching about being chipped, but never doing anything really evil. Like getting a load of minions to do his dirty work. Instead he'd turned to his mortal enemy and asked for help. Which was big. Something had been intrinsically different about him from the get go. She had been able to read between the lines when Angel had mentioned Spike, usually with derision. Spike had loved from day one as a vamp. Okay, so he'd loved Dru the Wonder Skank, but still he was different from any other vampire out there. He had a poet's heart and loved, not wisely but loved well all those years with Drusilla. But that had changed. Buffy remembered what he'd said one night in the cabin about the first time he'd seen her dancing in the Bronze, how he'd been mesmerised by her at first sight. He had grudgingly admitted that maybe, just maybe it had been love at first sight. Not that he would've let himself admit it at the time; there had been Dru then.

She had held his admission gleefully to her heart. Spike had kinda loved her from the first moment he'd clapped eyes on her. Buffy sighed. She had screwed up somehow with the claimage and he was hurting.

She had no idea what she'd done wrong; maybe they should've talked it out before doing it?

"Buffy, I think you and I need to have a long talk." Angel crossed his arms over his chest and stared down at the small vampiress in front of him. Wondering what the hell she was thinking, why was her lower lip sticking out.

"But what about Spike?" She looked over at the still closed door; Buffy could sense his presence on the other side of the panel of wood. He was probably pressed up against the door listening.

"I spoke with him and we decided that I should be the one to talk with you." Angel gestured for Buffy to accompany him.

Buffy frowned up at Angel and then with a resigned sigh trotted after him. Both vampires missing the growl that emanated from Spike's bedroom and the muffled kick to the door, followed by a yelp.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Not nice, Miss Edith. The family are altogether and we're not invited for crumpets and High Tea," Drucilla positioned her doll to face the wall and turned to face her newest Childe. "Grandmummy, there's a gathering and we've been left in the cold, alone. It's not fair. I want to touch the gold and make her bleed."

Darla stared at the vampire who had turned her with a mixture of affection and disgust. She was sick of having to baby-sit the head case, and Darla was beginning to suspect that Dru wasn't as crazy as she made out. Darla was positive it was a way to keep the attention focused on her, and also made it
easier to not have any responsibilities for looking after herself. Dru was lazy, manipulative and cruel-- a true childe of Angelus in all her aspects. It had been a long while since the two Aurelian females had spent much time with each other and Darla had suspicions. "Dru honey, why don't you go hunting, a good kill before dawn might put a smile on your face. There must be a few kiddie runaways around here for you to play with?"

"Dawn's green light, oh it calls, the air splitting and naughty delicious worlds tickling at the edges of ours. Such a pretty picture they make." The slender brunette swayed on her feet and raised her hands into the air, her fingers picking at imaginary pixies around her head.

"Yeah Dru, that's it." Darla sighed and stared at her watch fixedly. She hadn't been near Angel for a couple of days and was getting bored. She liked messing with his mind. The idiots at the law firm may think that they were in charge, but that was not the way she saw it. Once the visitors from hell
left she could set about screwing her darling boy's soul loose and then they would paint the town red.

That bratty kid was too observant, she'd nearly caught her a few times and even she could see that there was no killing of the Summers women, not after what her boy had done last time she'd tried. Darla was oblivious to the fact that not only had her cover been blown. But that no matter how many times she seduced Angel his soul wasn't going anywhere. She wasn't Buffy and there was no pure happiness achieved in her bed for Angel, not now nor in the past.

Oblivious to the sigh of boredom, Drusilla turned to her prettiest dolly and pulled her to her feet. "Come on my sweets, let us go and dance with the living for a little while. My sweet Dianthus will come to me soon, I know it in my heart. He's only distracted, isn't he?" She turned her bright blue eyes towards Darla, seeking reassurance.

"Sure honey, whatever." Darla tossed the magazine over her shoulder and hooked one of Dru's hands through her arm. "Come on, lets get some dinner." She had learned over the years that distracting Drusilla with a hunt was the easiest way to shut her up.

She wasn't ruling out a sneak past the hotel, either.

~~~~~~~~

"Where are they?" Glory demanded from her fragrantly scented bubble bath. Around her were several minions of the brown robed variety who where rushing around primping and preening the goddess.

"Oh stupendously stunning one, I don't know." Jinx wrung his scabby hands in distress at letting down his goddess. "Do you want to disembowel me now or after your bath?" He quivered at the exciting thought that maybe his darling goddess's hands might touch him soon. "Shall I go get a knife?" he asked hopefully.

"Really you are the most perfectly adorable sycophant, aren't you, Jinxy baby," Glory cooed as one of her bathers scrubbed between her toes with a tiny sable brush. "No disembowelling for you tonight." She preened at the sigh of disappointment that oozed from her follower. "Now where are they? Ideas, suggestions, wacky theories; I want those two vamps here and chained to the ceiling so I can peel them like an apple. They are the ones, I know it. They know where my Key is and I am getting tired of waiting. I want to go home and I want this dimension destroyed."

"Well, I am waiting to hear from Pustule. He is trying to get close to the apartment the vampires are using as a lair. He's the only one who has enough magicks to try and get through the barriers the witches put up." Jinx scuttled over and handed Glory a champagne flute filled with her favourite cocktail. He used the opportunity to peek into the tub and see if he could adore her naked form. Just a glimpse of her perfectly formed breasts would fuel his fantasies for weeks.

"And? Where is he?" Glory snapped as she held out one hand for it to be cleaned.

As if on cue, there was a timid scratching on the door to her suite.

"Get in here," Glory ordered as she sat up and finally gave Jinx the eyeful he had craved. "You wash my back."

"Oh, thank you my fragrant one." Jinx scurried around and pushed the other fawning followers aside and with a rapturous drooling expression on his face, began to wash Glory's back.

"You." Glory snapped her fingers at the newcomer. "Well? Did you get close enough to find my Key?"

"Nu...no…umm…so…sorry," Pustule stammered, unused to having his darling goddess directly addressing him. He flopped to his knees and pressed his forehead to the tiled floor.

"Hope you don't stutter when you spellcast. Could lead to something nasty happening to you." Glory glared at the cringing bundle of unwashed robes. "Hey, then again, it might be an improvement on the original.." She sipped from her mimosa and sighed happily as Jinx rubbed between her shoulder blades,
"So, did you see anything?"

"Va…mm…pires gone, two mortals in their lair, sleeping. The witch, the new one…and the old man, watches everything," he stammered, keeping his eyes firmly shut and his arms splayed out in front of him in the supplicant position.

Glory's eyes snapped open. "New one? How new?" she demanded.

"Oh Glorficus, I shall discover this information for you, never fear," Jinx babbled as he deliberately dropped the soap and with a happy moan and an all over quiver reached down to search for it in the tub. His questing fingers brushing against her backside. "Ahh.."

~~~~~~~~~

"Come on in." Angel gestured for Buffy to enter his rooms.

She hesitated on the threshold; there was a stink of something in here that made her stomach curdle. "I…um…can we go somewhere else?" She took a step back from the smell of Angel getting a happy. She may be newly turned, but even she knew the scent of sex. There was no way she was going to his room, the place where he eww…with the hand and the lotion…ick. Buffy shuddered and scooted down the hallway.

"Buffy," Angel sighed in exasperation. Mistakenly thinking she was avoiding talking to him, he lost control of his patience and growled.

Buffy's nose wrinkled, as she skipped backwards. "Not gonna work, Mr Growly pants. If you wanna talk then we do it somewhere else. I can smell waaay to much in there, and yucksville!"

"What, you can smell Darla?" Angel blinked in surprise. She hadn't been turned when she met Darla and shouldn't have been able to recognise the scent of her fellow Aurelian.

"What? No, I smelled…you know." Buffy made gestures with her hand.

Angel's eyes widened as understanding blossomed. "Oh, right…Buffy! There are some things you really need to learn about vampire etiquette and that is one of them-- amongst others."

Buffy ignored him, her mind still stuck on his previous comment. "Darla? But she's dead. You killed her. You did, didn't you?" she asked suspiciously, wondering if maybe she'd been played that night in the Bronze.

"Yes I did, Buffy. And yes, she was dead. Some law firm brought her back; she got ill and asked me to vamp her."

"You did it, right? You turned that hobag! Man, that is all kinds of weird, you Siring your Sire. I bet Freud would've loved that," Buffy babbled nervously. Were they sure that Angel had a soul still?

"What? No I didn't, Dru turned her. I think," Angel answered irritably. "And yes, I do have my soul," he answered her unasked question without pause, the irritation beginning to increase.

"You think? And Dru is hanging around here, near Mom and Dawnie?" Buffy snapped. She'd sent her family here to be safe-- not to be Dru-food. "Are you sure you have a soul?"

"Your family are safe, I swear. No Dru or Darla on my watch…anymore… and yes, I am sure I have a soul." Angel tried to placate her; he refrained from adding that if he had been soulless then her silly questions would've been all the trigger that Angelus needed to rip out her heart.

"Right." Buffy's mind was a whirl trying to plot her next course of action. "So what did you want to discuss, oh Wise One? Vampiric lore to impart to the fledgling, I guess?" Buffy's eyes were serious as she watched Angel do his cat on a hot tin roof impersonation. She had already decided that there was
no way mom and Dawn were staying at Angel's, not if Dru and Darla were around. They might be family now, but Buffy knew that they would destroy her mortal family the first chance they got. And there was no way that was happening on her watch. The only way she would leave her mom and Dawn here was if there were two piles of shebitch dust at her feet..

"Here." Angel opened his office door; while they had been talking he had guided them to his office. "Sit down."

Buffy perched on the edge of one chair facing the desk and watched as Angel sat in his leather desk chair with a groan. She stopped breathing; the scent of Cordy's strong perfume was grossing her out.

"Buffy, we need to talk." Angel clasped his hands together and leant forward with an earnest look on his face. "You do realise that under all the leather and bleach, Spike is essentially a romantic with very Victorian ideals."

“Oh,” Buffy mentally curled in on herself in utter humiliation that she was having the ‘talk’ with Angel of all people. She doesn’t understand yet though, does she? She frowned at Angel, wondering why he was the one, seeing that he hated Spike with a fiery vengeance. Yet here he was mediating. “I don’t get why you’re doing this?” slipped out before she could stop herself.

Angel stared at his fingernails and tried not to sigh too deeply. He had not been able to say no to Joyce, Dawn and Anya – and here he was. Playing cupid and trying to fix everything up for Spike to steal away his true love. He hunched his shoulders and fiddled with a hangnail. “You’re family.” The broody vampire opted for Anya’s suggestion for a reason and deftly avoided the whole Joyce and the motherly blackmail bit.

“But you bit him,” Buffy whispered. “FYI, that was sooo lame,” she added.

“Well…yeah…but—” Angel tried to hide his humiliation, resorting to gnawing on his grandchilde’s side was high on the embarrassment scale. He was very glad Wes and the others had missed the entire incident. “Look, the reason Spike freaked about the claim—” His manly restraint stopped him from sobbing ‘why?’ at Buffy and blurted out the rest of his speech. “He rejected the claim because he was worried that it wasn’t for love and was instead to make yourself feel better after seeing Dracula. He was also worried that maybe you don’t love him for himself, but love him only because he is your sire.” Angel closed his eyes. He’d said it all and now he wanted to go out and kill a lot of demons, get drunk and then lose himself.

Buffy’s eyes widened. She sat there listening to what she guessed was the longest speech Angel had ever made to her. And probably the most significant one in her life. Buffy was glad she was a vamp, otherwise she would be bright red and hyperventilating on the spot. She dropped her head, letting her hair cover her face and her restless fingers toyed with the ties of her mom’s robe.

“Buffy? Did you hear me?” Angel frowned and leant forward, trying to attract her attention.

She nodded her head and tried to make herself as tiny as possible, curling her legs up under her. Under the cover of her blonde tresses she glanced at the door, calculating the distance, wondering if she could leap out of the room in one stride. She wanted to go to Spike and hold him. She also wanted to run out of the hotel and avoid seeing anyone ever again. “I didn’t realise I’d messed up until it was too late and then, well…”

“You did an impersonation of a hedgehog?” Angel asked gently with s small smile on his lips

“Huh?” Buffy frowned in confusion.

“Curled up into a prickly ball and attacked if anyone tried to get too close?” Angel teased.

Buffy looked up, her hazel eyes flecked with violet. “Yeah, something like that. Man, the way I freaked at everyone…and then running to mom—” she trailed off and fiddled with her nails.

Angel jumped slightly in surprise. He’d thought she’d come to see him. “Your mom, right.” He sighed again.

“Yeah, she makes everything feel better. You know what mom’s are like,” she explained with a rueful smile.

Angel stopped himself from answering. His mother was a distant memory to him now, and the only thing he remembered was the sensation of his fangs sliding into her neck. “Look, we need to talk about vampiric traits and practises. I guess Spike hasn’t had time, what with the problems in Sunnydale?”

Buffy’s eyes flickered to the door again and she then braced herself and turned to smile at Angel.

“Buffy, did you hear me?” Angel stared at the glazed expression on her face with resignation. ‘This was not gonna be fun…’
~~~~~~~~

Spike pressed his ear against the door and strained to hear what was being said. It was driving him nuts being patient. It made his teeth ache. But all of them had been insistent that Buffy had to understand her mistake and he wasn't allowed to cave. Joyce had hemmed and hawed over the sex angle, liking to imagine that her daughter was still a virgin despite everything.

The other women had begun to fire questions at him, after Buffy had run out of the kitchen-- run away from him.

Again.

Eventually Joyce had clapped her hands to stop Dawn and Anya's excited babble and had given him a look that reminded him of the time he had first slapped eyes on her. Spike had checked her environs for the presence of an axe and then looked back up at her compassionate eyes. She'd uttered his favourite words, hot chocolate. It was like magic-- all of them had sat down and shut up, waiting for the chocolaty treat. All the while Anya kept a firm grip on his arm, stopping him from following after Buffy. Eventually, they had managed to get him to not be the one to go after her. Instead, Joyce and Anya had intimidated Angel into it. Dawn had shown Spike to a room and told him to sleep off the alcohol and to let her mom fix it.

And now he was wondering what the hell he was on. Peaches put in a good word for him. Never imagined it in his entire unlife. Spike could feel the knife being slammed into his back over and over by the git who sired his Dru. He really did wonder about his own sanity, trusting everything to Angelus?

"You know that I will have to injure you if you try to leave?"

Spike's shoulders slumped and he paused mid-pace. He turned to face his not so silent observer. "Promise not to gnaw at my side like a sissy fighter?" He pouted for good measure.

"Don't be such a baby," Anya admonished. She carried on painting her toenails, ignoring the imploring look Spike tossed her way. She was on the balcony perched on a lounger, having personally appointed herself Spike watcher for the night. "Yeah, what was all that about? Angel using you for a chew toy. I would've thought that he would be a little more manly than that."

"I think he broke. Glad I puked on him, though." Spike smirked at the memory. "Wish I'd had a camera; that's one for the Aurelian annuls." He looked over at the door and mentally calculated how quickly he could get out there and find Buffy.

"Don't even bother, you know that Joyce is probably on the other side waiting with an axe." Anya dabbed a bit of polish on her little toenail.

Spike turned to her with big eyes and tried to look as innocent as he could. "This isn't gonna work, you know," he whined, mentally wincing at the sound.

"I trust Joyce. She knows her daughter better than any of us." Anya held up her hand to forestall his moan. "Yes, she does. Even if you know Buffy in the biblical sense, a mother knows the workings of their child's mind. They have to in order to outwit them, so continue pacing and kicking inanimate objects with your bare feet. I imagine the pain distracts you slightly? Or does it turn you on?" Anya frowned in thought and blew on her shiny freshly painted toenails

"Your brain works in a very different way, Demon Girl." Spike stared down at his big toe and watched as it began to swell. "I like it."

"Thank you!" Anya chirped. She capped the polish bottle and gave it a good shake. "Now come and sit down so I can paint yours. I think this pale pink will compliment your colouring far better than that icky black stuff you use."

********

"Huh?"

Angel glanced up at Buffy and wondered why she was frowning at him. "Buffy, you do realise that you hurt his feelings?"

"I know. I just don't get."

Angel sighed. He wanted to run screaming from the room, but the memory of Joyce's stern eyes kept him there. "Look, you have to read this." He chickened out and reached behind him for a worn tome that Wes had left in the office. "Here, read this. I'll sit here and wait; if you have any questions, just ask." If he could've he would've been blushing.

Buffy stared down at the thin leather bound book resting in her unresisting hands. Her fingers traced the worn gilded lettering. 'A Brief Summary of the Mating Practises of the Vampyre By I. Bytes.'

Angel reached into his desk and pulled out some paperwork and busied himself with the accounts, mentally hearing Cordy berating him for being a baby and not talking.

"Oh, thanks." Buffy stared at the book, wondering if she looked that sad and desperate. Instead, she opened it and began to read.

*********

"If he's making a move on her, I will kill him," Spike muttered as he discretely cleaned off the polish and then sat on his shaking hands to keep them away from Anya. He had no idea why he'd agreed to Joyce's plan, but as the minutes ticked past the more worried he became. Anya had confiscated the
battered pack of cigarettes he'd found in his duster with a disapproving tut and then continued to file his nails. So he didn't have the nicotine fix to calm him. Instead, his nerve endings were strung tight by the sound of her emery board rasping back and forth. .

"Humph, as if she'd betray you." Anya leaned back on the lounger and stared up at the smog filled night sky. "Don't you miss the clean air, and the clarity in which you could see the constellations back in the day?"

Giving in to her, Spike looked up at the sky and nodded. "Yeah."

"Spike, it'll be okay. Joyce has a sound plan." Anya reached over and patted him on the shoulder.

"Yeah, she does, but Peaches is the one I'm worried about. S'not normal for me to be relying on the likes of him to sort out m'love life. He's the one that usually wrecks it."

"And can you think of anything better to torment him with than this?" Anya smiled pertly.

Spike's jaw dropped at the truly wicked machinations of Joyce. "Christ, she's a canny one, isn't she?"

"Took you long enough to realise it, Spike. She never really forgave him for breaking Buffy's heart the way he did. Must say, Joyce would make an excellent vengeance demon." Anya giggled.

"Yeah," Spike nodded, then lay back on the lounger and tucked his hands behind his head.

"And if it all goes to plan, Angel will have put Buffy onto the right track and you and she can unlive happily every after. He'll be depressed because it will have been his actions that reunited you, and we can go home. Well, once we get rid of Glory and save the day."

Spike smirked. He made a mental note to buy Joyce a really nice pressie for her subtle manoeuvrings. "Thought she would've been a bit more civil to granddad after the blinding torment and whatnot to save her?"

"Yes, but she is a mother first and foremost, so is very protective of Buffy and Dawn," Anya supplied.

Spike smiled and shivered happily at the thought of Angel in knots trying to explain about sex and vampires-- 'as if he's had much practice recently.'

********

Buffy turned the book sideways and frowned at the very detailed engraving. She tried to ignore the shuffling of papers on the desk, not wanting to look up at Angel and see the morose expression on his face.

"Well, any questions?"

Buffy closed the book with a sigh. Unable to resist teasing her Great-Grande sire, she put on her best blonde expression and pointed to a picture. "Where did he put his?"

Angel sighed. He seemed to be doing that a lot more since Spike and the others had arrived to invade his sanctuary. "Buffy." His voice held a warning note.

She smiled impishly. "Sorry."

"Look, I really don't want to be the one to—"

"Yeah, I know Angel. How come you're here with the books and the talking?" Buffy interrupted before he said ‘sex talk’, 'cause there was no way that this wasn't embarrassing.'

"Joyce felt it was better coming from me rather than anyone else. That girl Anya volunteered, but I think Joyce was concerned about what she would say." Angel risked a look at the pale beauty curled up on the chair before him. "She is kind of frank, isn't she?"

Buffy smiled gently. "Yeah, but we love her for it."

Angel cleared his throat nervously. "So look, about what happened with Spike. Do you have any questions, or did the book help?" He gestured to the slender volume Buffy was clutching to her chest.

"It helped. You're not enjoying this anymore that I am, are you?" Buffy sighed.

Angel shook his head. "It hurts," he explained.

"I know, Angel. But you realise that we were destined to fail, even before it started." Buffy's candid admission surprised her, but it also lifted a huge weight off her conscience

Angel stared at her in surprise at her maturity. "I…uh."

Something inside him broke. The ache that had started the day he left Buffy suddenly mushroomed at her mature realisation that their relationship had been doomed from the moment they'd met in that alley behind the Bronze. The pain that radiated out from his heart made him blanche. His fingers dug into the wood of the desk as he gripped it, trying to anchor himself as the waves of agony buffeted him. He inhaled sharply as a feeling of utter hopelessness shot through his big form. It was over. The Buffy and Angel angstorama-- as Cordy called it-- was really over. Here he was, acting as a vampiric Dr Ruth for Buffy and fixing her up with Spike of all people. He wanted to rip out his soul with his bare hands, anything to spare him the pain of that realisation.

"Angel?" Her voice still held that breathy quality when she said his name.

"Sorry. Um…so—" He stared down at his white knuckles and felt his nails break as they dug into the wood.

Buffy leaned over, inadvertently giving him a birds eye view of forbidden territory. He gasped. "Look, you need to go to him…now…please. Just go and talk, now you've read that I think you know why, right?"

"Yeah." Buffy stood and then smiled, unaware of the morass of despair that Angel was mired in. Her mind and body were totally focussed on Spike. She trotted around and brushed lips against his rigid cheek. "Thank you for this."

Angel watched her leave.

Watched her go to Spike.

Watched her leave him behind in the shadows. Alone.

It was his fault she was going. He gritted his teeth, stopping himself from calling out to her, calling her back to him. She wasn't his girl anymore. Not now, not since that day when he'd thrown it all away and asked for the clocks to be turned back.

Buffy didn't love him anymore.

She was leaving him behind and going to Spike.

All the while mentally railing at the unfairness of it all. He was the one setting her onto the path. The self same path he'd stepped off, one that would lead to eternal consummation of her love for Spike. Not him.

'God it hurts.'

Angel crumpled forward on his desk and sobbed. It hurt too much; he needed to make it stop. There was a faint click and he froze.

"What do you want, Darla?” he growled.

“Man, that wasn’t a barrel of laughs, you playing at being the head Poobah to the newest fledge of the family.” Darla leant in the doorway, her body backlit and her lips curled into what she considered a fetching smile. “Though I will have to stake Spike for having the poor taste to turn that skanky little slayer,” she added maliciously.

“Leave her out of your mind games,” Angel growled.

Darla raised a perfectly plucked brow. “Oh, so my darling boy finally realised he wasn’t dreaming?” She giggled and ran her hands over her hips. “Have to say, it was getting boring doing all the work.”

Angel stood and stared at the blonde woman who had for centuries been his reason for existence. He was tired of fighting, tired of being who he was. He wanted to be free – wanted to rest.

“What do you want, honey?” Darla sensed a shift in her boy. After all their years together she could read him like a book, even with that disgusting soul.

Angel stared at her, his face inscrutable. Then he moved around his desk so fast that Darla gasped in surprise. He grabbed her arm and pushed her, sending Darla stumbling into the wall. “I asked, what did you want? To gloat about my misery?” he demanded angrily. Darla stared up at him. She licked her bloodied lips and then grinned.

"Or, maybe what you really want is this?” He pushed her against the wall and gently brushed her hair back from her face.” Leaning in he kissed her softly, his tongue tracing the familiar lines of her mouth. “That maybe what you really want?” He kissed her again, in an instant deciding it would be easier without his soul and deciding to lose it in her.

Darla froze under his tender ministration and then pushed him away. “Don’t play games with me,” she cried out, wiping her lips with the back of her shaking hand.

"I'm not playing. I just wanna feel something besides the cold." He lifted her unresisting body and laid her on his desk, one hand pushing away the papers and lamp which landed on the floor with a clatter. He had sent Buffy to Spike. The thought circled in his head and was the only thing on his mind as he leant into kiss Darla again.

Darla reached up for her angelic boy, her legs dropping loosely, cradling his hips against her throbbing centre. Content at last, in a few short minutes her boy would be back and they could paint the town red. She silently thanked Dru for sending her to Daddy. Somehow the loon had known that this was the perfect time to strike, the ideal time to get Angelus back into the game.

Angel pushed her back onto the desk and lowered himself on top of her with a grunt, leaning down he licked at her open mouth. Darla reached between their torsos and ripped his shirt open. With a sigh she bent her head, her sharp teeth biting at a brown nub. Angel threw his head back and hissed through his teeth. Darla began to laugh in delight, realising that finally she was getting her way and this time without magic or any powders the lawyers had given her.

Angel pulled back angrily. "Why're you laughing?"

Darla continued to giggle. Not answering him, she licked her way up his chest and then nipped at his throat in the same place that she had bitten him that first time in the alley behind the pub.

Angel ground his teeth, incensed that she was laughing at him. Straightening he pulled away from her clutches and hit her, sending her crashing to the floor. He loomed over her as Darla rolled over and looked up at him. Her fingers pressed to her lower lip, trying to stem the blood. She recognised the look in his eyes and kept quiet.

"Don't you feel the cold?" Angel knelt down and grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her hard.

"What're you doing?" Darla whispered, fear tainting her high-pitched voice.

"It doesn't matter.” Angel stroked the side of her face. “None of it matters anymore. She’s gone to him,” he kissed her again and Darla responded eagerly, each tearing the other’s clothes off.

Both vampires with the same goal in mind – to get rid of a soul.

A/N the final scene's dialogue was lifted and fiddled to fit from Reprise.
Chapter 32 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
Many many thanks for all the fab reviews - can't wait to hear what you think of the latest chappie!
Many thanks to my darling beta Megan *hugs*

“She’s clomping up the stairs, should I make myself scarce so you can fight and fornicate. Or is it fornicate and fight? I can never tell with vamps.” Anya quickly began to pack her manicure box up and adjusted the hot pink toe separators and then waddled down the balcony with a small wave.

“Spike, be nice to her. I am tired of angst. It’s about time someone around here got some good orgasms.” She giggled and disappeared into her room.

“Seriously luv, you really are strange girl.” Spike laughed as he shook his head at the two fingers Anya waved at him as she disappeared into her suite. He reached over and scribbled a note for Buffy and then stuck it to the door.

He was filled with nerves. Trusting in the Poof was something that didn’t come easy, and he had to applaud Joyce for her subtle form of revenge on the broody nit. But it was a risky gamble. He was worried that whatever the schmuck had said might have her running for the hills.

But he trusted Joyce.

Taking a deep breath, he stepped out onto the balcony and waited for her.

Buffy's determination to sort things out with Spike lasted as far as the top of the stairs. Fantastic! And typical. She froze at the sight of his suite door, realising that he was on the other side, waiting for her. The back of her neck began to tingle. His signature was ratcheting up, tiny tugs of arousal pulled at her stomach, making her entire body shiver. Her breasts swelled and her body hummed in anticipation of the reunion. .

Taking a deep breath she gathered her courage and trotted to his door. Reaching for the handle she froze. There was piece of paper stuck to the door with her name on it. Her fingers trembled as she reached for the crisply folded paper.


Love,

I thought it’d be better we met somewhere else, to chat it all out…

Some how I can’t see ‘desperate for a shag’ would appreciate hearing you scream your brains out.

Follow your nose, Childe.

Yours Always,

William


Buffy's wavering spirit solidified and she took a deep breath, a broad smile pasted itself across her face. Clutching the note to her unbeating heart she sniffed the air; he was on the move. Running down the corridor parallel with her sire as he strode along the balcony, she smirked. The thrill of the chase was building within her, then suddenly his scent shifted and disappeared. Buffy frowned and extended her senses; he'd leapt down and was waiting on the sidewalk for her. She stopped briefly to hide the book Angel had given her in her rucksack and lovingly tucked his note in between the pages.

"Buffy?" Dawn's sleepy voice startled her.

Buffy peeked over at her sister, who was curled up next to their mom. "Shh. Go back to sleep, Dawnie. It's okay." She straightened and shot a small smile at her sleepy sister. Pulling out her leather skirt and a tank top, the diminutive Slayer wriggled into her clothes and then zipped up her black patent leather high-heeled boots.

"Here." Dawn appeared next to her sister and handed her some lip-gloss. Buffy quickly applied it as her sister brushed the knots out of her hair. "Do you want it up or down?" Dawn asked as she ran her fingers through the long locks. "I vote for down. You know how he loves your hair." Dawn smiled, proud of herself for not feeling the weeniest bit jealous over Spike and her sister.

"What do you think, Dawnie?" Buffy asked quietly, stunned that her usually hormonal sister was acting calmly and helping her out.

Dawn fluffed the blonde curls with her hands. "Down. It looks cute like this." She slipped a thin baby pink ribbon around Buffy's head and tied it in a small bow at the nape of her neck. "They’re pretty yet functional." She reached over and pulled a few wisps free to frame her sister's heart-shaped face. "Now Buffy, don't mess this up. Everyone has been working overtime to get you guys back together."

Buffy stared into her baby sister's big blue eyes and then gave her slightly taller sibling a quick hug. "I won't. Love you, Dawnie."

"Pish...now go get your vamp." Dawn pushed Buffy towards the French windows that lead to the balcony.

She disappeared out through the open doors and onto the balcony, her hazel eyes scanning the darkened street for a flash of platinum blond hair. She let out a noise that sounded suspiciously like a meep, when in the distance she saw her sire striding towards a derelict building, dragging what looked like a mattress with him.

Swinging herself over the railing, Buffy leapt after him.

**********

Angel surged into Darla wetness; his hips moved jack rabbit fast, pumping away as fast as his body could move. He was entirely and selfishly focussed only on his own satisfaction. He held her hands above her head with one of his meaty fists, the other hand wrapped around Darla's throat, giving it a squeeze every time she tried to speak.

"Don't speak," he growled as his hips hammered into her over and over. He didn't want her squeaky voice shattering the illusion that he was making love with Buffy. Slamming his eyes shut, Angel's mind was filled with images of Buffy. He moaned happily and felt his cock twitch in excitement.

Darla growled at Angel and dug her nails into the palms of her hands. She'd forgotten what a sloppy lover he was, when he was actually conscious and not in a drug induced passion. She flexed her internal muscles experimentally, trying to get some sensation from his less than impressive erection. 'I miss the Master...' she pondered wistfully, recalling the long days and nights of ultimate pleasure with her sire, his large cock filling her unlike any other.

Gritting her teeth, the small blonde rubbed her breasts against Angel's chest, hoping for some kind of stimulation. She was very...very disappointed in her childe. Angel had forgotten all her lessons in how to take care of a woman. Sighing, Darla turned her head and stared at the door, her soft breasts juddering in time to Angel's thrusts and wondered where Dru was. She sighed. At least Dru knew how to take care of her needs. The silent vampire raised her legs. Peering over Angel's hulking shoulder she examined her toenails. Eyeing her chipped big toenail, Darla pondered whether she'd have time to get a pedicure soon.

Angel kept the image of Buffy in his mind, trying to pretend that the woman's body below him wasn't his sire's but instead his lost love's. He knew that this was the only way he'd be free, if he achieved ultimate happiness.

Darla bit her lip to stop herself from groaning in pain; she was starting to get lino burn on her ass cheeks from the speed in which Angel was pumping into her. She wished he'd get his happy and ditch the goddamned soul. Then she would chain Angelus up and remind him that his satisfaction came second to hers.Also she wanted to retrain him in the art of sex and remind him where her clit was.

*********

Buffy landed lightly on the balls of her feet and then sprinted off in the direction she had last seen Spike heading. Her golden hair streaming behind her as she ran towards the building he had disappeared into.

Sliding to a halt she swung through the door and slammed it shut behind her. Vamping out, Buffy scanned the room. It was a crumbling mess, plaster missing from the walls and the floorboards where gaping here and there. Her lavender coloured eyes easily picked out the safest route to traverse the floor. Tiptoeing carefully over the holes, she moved to the centre of the ground floor of the dust filled building. Extending her senses she tried to pinpoint the location of her sire.

"Spike?" Her whispered call shattered the peace of the building. "Where are you?" Buffy called out, inhaled a mouth full of dust and sneezed loudly.

"Well...what a pretty lil' morsel. Have you been a good girl and listened too your Elders?" Spike's voiced echoed from the gallery that ran along the end of the massive room. His loud voice disturbed some pigeons from their rest. They flew up and out of a large hole in the roof, their wings flapping loudly as the squawked their disapproval for being disturbed.

"Spike?" She turned to face the direction his rough voice had come from. But he wasn't there.

"Well, little girl?"

Buffy spun to her left, her eyes peering into the gloom, trying to locate him. She could sense his anger at being forced to wait. Forced to leave everything in his cack-handed grandsire's hands. He was a vamp of action and deeds and to be forced to wait must have been agony.

"Spike, quit playing. We need to talk." She growled and stomped her foot. She was starting to worry. He was playing some weird ass game with her and she didn't get it.

"Never been one for games when it came to matters of the heart, love." His disembodied voice echoed around her. It was filled with a poignancy that filled Buffy's eyes with tears. He sounded so insecure and hurt, and it was her fault that pain was in his voice. She wrapped her arms around her stomach and tried to stop herself from sobbing out loud. She'd done this to him, with her pushy ‘bite now, ask questions later.’

"Here now, none of that sweetness," Spike whispered. He appeared at the broken railing of the gallery and stared down at his weeping childe. He leapt down onto the top of the crates that he'd climbed earlier, and with a series of loose-limbed jumps he began to leap from box to box, making his way down to her. His duster flared up dramatically with the impact of his doc-clad feet on the boxes. Rolling his shoulders, Spike slinked his way towards her.

Buffy stood immobile, unsure as to what to do. She clutched her arms around her waist, steadying herself in the maelstrom of emotions that were buffeting her. She was confused and lonely. The talk with Angel was still fresh in her mind and despite her bravado, she was confused about Spike. Also, the book had filled her mind with images of raw sex, blood and biting and her demon was pushing at her to let it come out and play. But after her last attempt she was feeling inhibited, worried that she'd get it wrong again and Spike would leave her, just like every man she loved or was intimate with.

"Open those pretty peepers of yours, pet." Spike's hand cupped her stubborn little chin and tipped her head back. His azure eyes searched her scrunched up face worriedly. "Come on, love," he cajoled when she screwed her eyes shut even more. If it weren't for the seriousness of the situation he would be smiling at her antics.

Buffy shook her head.

"Look at me." Spike rubbed her thumb over her lower lip, trying to coax her out from hiding.

"Spike, just wait, lemme say this," Buffy muttered.

Spike stepped away from her frozen form; his hand cupped her cheek briefly and then he crossed his arms. "Right then."

Buffy peeked out from under her lashes at him. "I'm sorry," she whispered dejectedly. "I messed it up...I messed everything up. I'm so sorry. I was wrong to try and do the, you know, it was a big mistake." She gestured to his neck.

Spike's stomached dropped at her words; she was sorry she'd tried. Thought it was all a mistake. He ground his teeth together, his actions causing his cheekbones to sit out in relief against his pale skin. "Right...well, I'll be off then." He whirled to leave only to be stopped by a small tug on his elbow.

Buffy's fingers latched onto the worn leather and clung on with all her might. "Don't …I love you, Spike...Please, god, don't break me by leaving…I co...co...couldn't cope. I love you with all my soul, Spike." Her stomach dropped and she began to shake. There, she'd finally said it. Laid herself open to him. She gulped hard, trying to dislodge her heart, which had leapt into her throat with her stuttered admission. Buffy firmed her lower lip into a determine pout and waited for a bolt of lightning or a plague of locusts to descend on her. She'd admitted to loving him and now she knew there'd be a backlash.

Spike froze in place at her panicked admission. He could feel her fingers gripping desperately at his elbow. He could scent her fear at his leaving her, it was pouring off her small frame in waves. His eyes flickered amber at the taste of her fear. But something overrode the demon within. His inner William surged to the fore. She had done what no other woman in his life and un-life had ever done. Declared her absolute love for him. Spike, William the Bloody awful poet was loved! He wanted to howl it to the moon.

The light of his unlife loved him, no one else, just him. He wasn't second best in her estimations, unlike his sire. Buffy the Vampire Slayer loved him, one quarter of the Scourge of Europe. Buffy's impassion plea loosened the coil of despair and doubt that was wound tight around his heart.

There was a harsh grating noise as he turned on his heel to face her.

Spike's face filled with hope. "What did you say, love?" His hands fisted in the pockets of his duster. If he could've, he would be sweating bullets as he waited for her sweet mouth to say the words again. Spike cocked his head to one side and waited anxiously-- he needed to see her as she said it. His heart was too battered; the eternal optimist within him was huddled under his metaphorical duster and shivering. Beaten down by Cecily, Dru, Angelus and his childe.

Buffy remembered something Whistler had mentioned, something about the big moments and not being able to help them, but it was what came after that was what counted. She took a breath. This was a big moment and it was one that she could help, and also what came afterwards would be momentous if they allowed themselves to be happy.

She reached over and pulled his fisted hands out of his pockets and brought them to her lips. Brushing soft kisses over them she kept eye contact with him.

Spike stared down at her as she kissed his knuckles. Tension slowly seeping out of his body with each brush of her soft lips: the confusion, hurt and anger slowly was replaced with hope, happiness and love.

She pulled away from his now lax hands and pressed them to her heart. Spike leaned in as Buffy’s pouting lips opened, his eyes riveted to their pink plumpness. If his heart could beat it would be bursting out of his chest.

This was it.

He stared at her soft lips as they began to move.

*****

"Yes…Yes…uhhhh." Angel bellowed as he spilled himself into Darla's frustrated depths. With a goofy smile he slumped onto her small form and began to snore.

"Angelus...get off me!" Darla gasped as she wriggled out from under him, not
even noticing when his limp cock slipped out from her.

She shoved him onto his side and eyed his snoring face with contempt. "Hope this worked, I am not doing that again," she muttered sulkily as her fingers trailed down to her cleft and began to rub her clit.

Angel snorted in his sleep and rolled onto his back and stretched out, one hand scratching at his stomach as a small river of drool escaped his mouth and ran down his cheek.

Darla wrinkled her nose and rolled onto her side, firmly placing her back to the lump slumped beside her. She rubbed her fingers furiously over her nubbin and finally sighed in release.

Flipping over onto her back, Darla propped herself up on her elbows, watching and waiting for her darling boy to come back to her.

It was about time. She was bored with the do-gooder with the whiney soul. She wanted her restored childe at her side when she and Dru tortured the turned Slayer before dusting her. She had been practising on minions trying to work out how long a vamp could be hurt before it dusted.

And she had learnt one thing.

Buffy would be screaming for a very long time before she died.

A/N I do hope that everyone enjoyed - would love to hear what you thought?
Chapter 33 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
Thank you sooooo much for the wonderful reviews - hope you enjoys this chappie?
Tam, the mini Angel and Darla scene is for you *winks*

As always thank you Megan for the betaing magic!

“I love you… Oh, how I adore you...everything about you is pure perfection”

Glory glanced over her shoulder and grimaced and the fawning walking wart that was currently French kissing the floor where she had walked on. “Jinxy, this one is really bugging the hell out of me! Kill him.” She flicked her curly hair over her shoulder and turned back to the full-length mirror.

The grovelling minion dared a quick look at his divinity. “Oh, let me let me let me do it! If it pleases you, oh radiant one, I will throw myself from the window.”

Glory turned to face the brownnoser. “Sure, but make it quick. I want to get my hair done.” She looked over her shoulder at her back and her jaw dropped. Ignoring completely the small brown robed blur as it dashed past her and out of the window with a happy squeal.

“Jinx, does my ass look lopsided to you?” Glory shrieked as she patted her backside with both hands, whirling around and craning her neck trying to catch sight of her posterior, totally ignoring the loud squishy splat as her admirer became intimately acquainted with the ground outside.

“Oh no, mistress of my heart and damned soul…your buttocks are perky and luscious…a perfect peach and I would just love to have a bite of them,” Jinx lied as he stared at lopsided lower globes of his goddess.

“Yuh.” Glory waved her hands at Jinx. “Duh, as if anything on my body would be less than perfection…”

Jinx stared at the afore-mentioned body part and wondered if there was something that could be done with the hem length of her skirts to cover the way it rode up on one side. He would make an appointment with a seamstress and see what could be done about it. That way she’d never notice again that she was less than perfect.

“Have that idiot Dracula send someone up to fix the window. You’d think the idiot would’ve thought to open it before jumping.” Glory shook her head and trotted to her walk-in closet.

Jinx nodded and began to back towards the door, followed closely by the rest of Glory’s remaining worshippers.

“Oh, and Jinxy…tell him to kill the Watcher and bring me that new girl that has been hanging around with that freak of a Slayer.” Glory checked her lipstick absently as she handed down a death sentence for Giles. “Well, don’t just stand there…snap to it…I’m sick of waiting. It’s time to get my Key and head for home.”

“As you wish, my most stupendous one.” Jinx clapped his hands and then scurried out of the room.

******

Darla edged away slightly from Angel's supine form with the warm draft of air that he had emitted, causing her face to scrunch up into a moue of disgust. She had forgotten about that-- something that she and Angelus had joked was a left over from his mortal cabbage eating days. She rolled onto her side and grimaced at the hard floor. 'So much for romance and treating a girl right,' Darla scoffed.

She stared sightlessly at the wall, wondering why there was a 1940s map of LA tacked up and, as she mentally picked out various hunting grounds from back in the day, she began to doze off. Her last thought on the massacre she and Luke had participated in on Sunset Boulevard, they'd both snuck out of Sunnydale for the weekend, tired of the Master's constant moaning and complaining over being stuck in the Hellmouth. She'd warned him not to do it, but no, he had tried to do the ritual anyway and there he’d remained, stuck like a cork in the mouth of hell.

His loyal followers had remained by his side and pandered to his every demanding need. She and Luke was the most senior of his court, but even they had needed a break from his capricious demands and needs. So the bight lights of Hollywood had called them, a siren's call to all the beautiful people ready to play with. And how they had played. The two elder Aurelians had painted the town red with the blood of the innocent-- and the not so innocent-- turning a few more minions to take back home to the Master to keep him entertained.

She missed those days; everything had seemed so much easier, less complicated and there had definitely been no annoying little Slayer to drive her demented. Darla's sleepy eyes shot open as a blast of warm air caught her on the ass. She shuddered and sat up, pulling her dress down over her thighs, ignoring the stream of sticky cum that trailed down her thighs. Darla stared over at Angel who was curled up on his side snoring loudly. She was amazed that the other occupants of the hotel weren't wakened by his stentorian snores.

Darla grimaced and rubbed her hands between her legs, then she reached over and grabbed the remnants of his shirt and wiped herself clean with it. Casually she tossed the shredded and now stained silk over his head and stared down in disgust at her wrinkled and soiled red dress. Gone were the good old day when Angelus had finished seeing to her every need and whim in bed. He would clean her up using his tongue, just like she'd trained him. But this time he’d rolled off her, fallen asleep and started 'saluting the Queen', 'Guess familiarity really does breed contempt.'

Darla stared assesingly at the body she knew intimately, every inch. He'd gained weight-- something she had never though possible in a vampire-- but he was definitely bigger and had what suspiciously looked like the beginnings of a blood belly. As soon as Angelus woke she was putting him on a strict regime of sit ups and blood rationing. Darla frowned, wondering if the diet of pigs blood he stuck to religiously since getting that stinking soul shoved down his throat was the reason for him porking up. Well that wouldn't be a problem soon. Once her evil childe rejoined the fold, he would be on a nice diet of human blood. She couldn't work out why Spike stayed so lean and well formed, but Angel ended up piling on the pounds. And yet, she still wanted him by her side and in her bed, well at least for a while.

She sighed deeply, resisting the urge to kick him in his flatulent flabby ass. Instead she curled up in the desk chair and waited for her boy to return to her. The evil within her would not allow her to accept complicity in his being re-souled. Instead, her demon plotted how they would kill the Summers mother and child. She envisaged a scenario much like the Holtz one; mother drained and raped to death and the daughter turned and left to greet the Slayer and her toady William the bloody idiot. 'Always lead around by his dick, that one. Sees a pretty face and his backbone turns to jello.' She frowned, wondering why in all their years travelling together Spike had never made a pass at her.

Darla stared at Angel's snoring form; she wished he'd hurry up and wake up. She wanted to get back to Dru, have a bath and find a small child to torture and kill to make herself feel better.

*******

"Love you."

Dru carefully rearranged the folds on Miss Edith’s frock before leaning over and kissing the cold porcelain face, then the scion of the Aurelian clan. She placed her carefully on the bed; the blindfold had been pulled off so that the doll could help her insane owner see what was to come. Behind the raven-haired vampire, Lindsey watched from the door for a moment before shutting it and locking the madwoman in.

The mad vampire then whirled around, her long dark curls fanning around and coiling over her pale shoulder like snakes. She cackled. Her pale blue eyes focused on the ceiling as she let the visions flow into her raddled mind.

Raising her scarlet tipped fingers to her temples, Dru let her head rock from side to side as she watched the future unfold. A moue of discontent crossed her lips as some of it was not to her liking at all, and then other bits she saw were so delicious they made her quiver. Then she saw him, her darling boy, her Sweet William and her. Drusilla's face contorted with rage and jealousy. Her hand clawed and scrabbled at the air, as if attacking the nasty Slayer who took all her toys and broke them. But even in the midst of her insanity, the Aurelian vampire knew better than to confront the Slayer.

"No...noooo...mine, all mine and you dare to take him," she screamed. Her nails clawed at her face, causing rivulets of blood to seep down the doll-like face that enticed so many to their death on her fangs. Including the one that was utterly lost to her now. Even with the tendrils of madness that clung to her mind, Drusilla's intuition told her that it would be to no avail if she even attempted to sway him from his new path or even worse, from her side.

All those decades ago she had told him that he would walk in worlds others couldn't begin to imagine, and now here he was, taking those first tentative steps and not with her. Her Spike was finally fulfilling his destiny and walking away from the darkness that she had thrust upon his willing throat. Dru dropped to her knees with a howl. He was hers to play with and discard-- no one else's. And yet that whey faced Slayer had his heart and mind in the palm of her murderous hand. There was nothing she could do but leave Spike and his childe to their destiny.

"No one left for me. Grandmummy will be all round...smell fecund and love another ...Daddy...oh my precious daddy...hurry up and come home soon...miss you and need you...the lambkins have all gotten their tails and we must bash and crash to mend it to our will...Your little girl needs your touch, your whip...your hard cock and fangs to make her feel all full up and better." Drusilla muttered over and over under her breath, slowly plucking her fine hair from her head.

********

"Spike...I." Buffy stared up at his anxious face, his azure eyes seemed to pierce right through to her soul; their feverish intensity made her freeze. So much was hanging on these three words, the same words that whenever she uttered them to another man, they usually ended up leaving town and her. So she was utterly terrified about saying them to Spike, he was her everything.

Saviour, sinner, saint, family, lover, sire, friend and most of all, she suspected her soul mate. He was a curious amalgam of innocent boy and seasoned man. The intense vulnerability was obvious to whoever chose to really look, and she did choose. It may have taken her dying and being reborn as a vamp, but she saw who and what William the Bloody was.

And she loved it all. Everything about him-- the good and the bad.

And she had screwed it all up. Buffy took a deep breath and smiled up at Spike through watering eyes. Not realising that she had vamped out due to the intensity of her thoughts and feelings, her lavender eyes flashed at him. Absently worrying a fang with the tip of her tongue, Buffy reached up and caressed his angular face. She smiled slightly when he leant into her touch with a small sigh.

Spike stood there waiting. He was slightly surprised at his patience, but this was a pivotal moment in his un-life and it was time for quiet. Something that he abhorred; he was used to frenetic sounds and movements, anything to remind himself he wasn't totally dead.

He stared down at the small woman who had turned his entire existence on its axis and overwhelmed his body and mind with her sweetness and light. He could see she was struggling to understand all the vampiric frim-fram that they had gotten tangled up in and figured that Angel had probably copped out and given her a book to read. But as much as he wanted to help, to make this all go away, he was also determined not to be Love's Bitch anymore. If he gave in and let her off then their relationship would be weakened and he was determined that wouldn't happen. He had survived one weak relationship and never again. It was all or nothing for him this final time.

"Spike...William, I love you." There, she said it. Buffy watched the maelstrom of emotions that ran across his still face. Her lower lip caught between her fangs as she stared and waited for disaster to strike.

But it didn't.

Instead there was a croaky laugh that erupted from Spike's taut frame. It echoed through the abandoned building and disturbed the roosting pigeons. They fluttered around the nearly derelict dance hall, sending a shower of dust and feathers over them.

Buffy's eyes overflowed with the tears that had been lingering in them, great fat drops of water trailed down her cheeks and dropped unnoticed onto her skirt. He was laughing at her. Self-doubt swarmed to the fore and she took a tiny step back. Her head cocked to one side, wondering if this was a cosmic joke, she finally told the peroxided pain in her ass that she loved him and he laughed? At her? Why? Had all this been some cruel and elaborate plot to humiliate her?

Her hand flew to her mouth as if trying to catch the words she had willingly let lose. "Oh no." She stumbled away, absolutely terrified, humiliated and vulnerable.

Spike couldn't help himself, she had said it and meant it. No one had meant it since before he'd turned his old mum. A relieved laugh escaped his lips as sublime joy filled his entire being. Buffy Anne Summer, the Slayer and his precious childe loved him, no one else, him. His moment of pure joy was suddenly tempered by a wash of terror that flooded his psyche through the sire/childe bond.

"Wait...No!" He growled and grabbed hold of her shaking hands. "Slayer, love, what's wrong?" Spike's heart was in his throat. The tears she shed and the panic he had sensed through their bond made him fear that maybe she was already regretting saying it. But he was nothing if not stubborn and now she'd said the L word he was not letting her go, not ever.

"You laughed at me." Buffy wriggled her hands free and took a few steps away from Spike, her heart shattering with each tentative step. Her luminous eyes capturing his and pinning him with their vunerable intensity.

"Do wot?" Pure bewilderment coloured his countenance as he clung onto his struggling girl. Realisation dawned and Spike frowned. "Right, that's it!" he snarled and jerked Buffy over his shoulder in a fluid motion. "Am not putting up with the crossed wires and your proclivity towards angst and drama. Enough is enough." He punctuated this with a firm slap to her backside.

"Spike, lemme go!" Buffy exclaimed and wriggled like an eel trying to escape his firm hold.

"Don't make me put my claim bite on your arse, missy. Hold still," Spike growled as he paced the length of the room. Kicking open a door, he slammed it shut behind them and threw Buffy in the air with a flourish.

Buffy's stomach lurched at her unwilling airborne antics. She scrabbled at the air uselessly as she flew backwards in the darkness. Her eyes focused on the cocky vampire watching her. "Spike, ooff." Buffy grunted as she landed on the mattress that Spike had dragged with him from the hotel.

"Pretty as a picture, aren't you my love. All flustered and hair flying all over," Spike drawled as he shrugged out of his duster and hooked his thumbs into the waistband of his jeans. Curling his tongue behind his teeth, he watched as Buffy blew her hair out of her face and dashed the dampness from her cheeks. "Now, where were we?" He cocked his head and then gave her the most obnoxious smirk he had in his arsenal.

"Oh yeah, that's it. You just declared yourself." His cut glass accent completely belied his bad boy image and Buffy's eyes widened as he began to slink towards her. Confidence oozing from every delectable pore, he ghosted through the darkness. She was frozen in place, legs akimbo on the mattress, her hands propping her up and her mouth open.

Spike sank to his knees in between her open legs. Reaching up he grasped her hips and tugged her unresisting body towards him. "Now where to start?" He eyed her shirt with serious intent and then, before she could even blink, his hands had ripped if off her, revealing her pert lace covered breasts too his appreciative gaze. Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist and stared nervously up at him, unsure of herself.

Spike mentally sighed at the big-eyed look she was giving him. He stared down into her lavender tinted eyes and resisted the urge to shake her fangs out of her thick skull. 'Best spell it out for her then, Spike m'boy.'

In that sensitive, rough timbre of voice that he accomplished so well, "Buffy, I love you."

A/N Well I guess the teasing with all the I Love You's was naughty? I couldn't resist sorry...

Wulfie more Angel bashing with a side order of humiliation for yah!

Hope everyone enjoyed I would love to hear what you thought?
Chapter 34 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
Reviews are my crack feed my addiction. Shameless ain't I??

LOADS OF SMUT BE WARNED!
megan_peta where would I be without your betaing goodness and support *hugs*

Italic=thoughts

Buffy lay there staring up at him, her full lips curved into a tremulous smile. All the icky angsty stuff out of the way, she was now waiting to see what her vampire was going to do to her first. She licked her lips and laid her hands coyly on her inner thighs, flexing her fingers in the supple leather of her skirt, which had bunched around her hips.

“Well then, what were we up to?” Spike curled his tongue against the back of his teeth and looked down at the luscious piece laid out before him, waiting to be devoured. All he got in response was a breathy giggle. “Right sweetness, guess it’s about time I had a look under the wrappings?”

Buffy stared up at him, her hair a tousled halo around her head. As she lay with her legs wrapped around his waist, her ankles locked in the small of his back and she undulated against him. Her big eyes were filled with laughter and excitement. She nodded and wriggled against Spike, hoping to entice him into stripping her naked and shagging until she couldn’t see straight. She threw her arms over her head and arched her back, hoping to add to his interest with a little show of her own. Her tight nipples pressing against the diaphanous lace camisole Dawn picked out for her to wear under her shirt, the same one that Spike had ripped off her. She made a mental note to take him shopping to replace all the underwear and shirts he shredded when he was trying to get to her.

“Nice skirt, luv,” Spike toyed with the wraparound leather skirt and then with a wicked grin, flipped it up and over her head, revealing her pale green lacy panties to his oh so appreciative gaze. “Love the knickers, Slayer, buuut you look much better without em on.” There was a ripping noise and Buffy sighed. And another pair bought the dust.

“Much better.”

Buffy squeaked as she felt Spike run a finger over her soaked curls and slip between her slick lips. She gripped hold of the mattress and moaned, her knuckles turning white as she tried to stop herself from pulling her skirt off her face. The scent of the black leather was infusing her senses and the lack of sight heightened the sensations that her Sire was wringing from her body. His dextrous fingers were busy between her legs, teasing and pulling at her soft skin. She felt weirdly safe in her cocoon and curled her toes waiting for her sire to decide where to play with next. She couldn’t help it; a giggle escaped her parted lips. After the grrr and angsty stuff, now they were together, happy and Spike was doing what he did best. Loving her.

“Think I’ll leave the boots on for now, Childe. Like the look.” Spike ran his hand up one leg and pulled it from around his waist and held it straight up. He pressed a kiss and a nip to the back of her knee and watched as she squirmed all over the bed. “Like that do you?” He laved the spot again and then pressed hot fevered kisses down her calf to the top of her black Suede boot. He purred at the sight of her wriggling around on him like a catfish on a pole. Her juices were beginning to drip between her legs and soak his jeans. He dropped her leg on his shoulder and shifted her hips slightly, opening her up to his appreciative gaze. His left hand slithered down her thigh and coasted into her wetness as his right hand anchored her leg to his shoulder.

“Look at you, all opened up and ready for me…” he crooned as his index finger circled her swollen nub and teased it gently. His fingers dipped between her swollen inner lips and then slid up and around her clit, anointing her with her juices.

“Spike…oh…please.” Buffy abandoned her silence as he played in her soft folds, gathering her moisture and painting it around her aching clit. Her hands gripped the mattress as she undulated her hips up and down, trying to get him to slip his finger into her.

Spike watched as she whimpered and smirked, he wanted to see her face all flushed and lust hazed. He made quick work of the skirt and tugged the bunched leather out from under her. “There’s my girl. Bite your lips for me, show me how my fingers make you feel…yeah tha’s it, my lush peach.” Spike purred as he watched the myriad emotions flutter across her face. She stared at him with big eyes, unwavering in her attention.

Buffy’s hand unclenched form the fabric and she trailed it up her lace-clad torso, her questing fingers finally locating their target. She bit her lower lip as she tugged on her nipples, her eyes silently begging him for more. Spike growled at the sight of her playing with her rosy tipped breasts and speared his fingers into her waiting depths. Curling them, he searched for the spongy bundle of nerves he knew his girl loved for him to play with.

“Oh!” Buffy screamed and threw her head back. “Missed this…missed you,” she panted as her slippery depths gripped his questing fingers like a glove. She threw her head back and moaned, her eyes turning lavender with passion as her fangs dropped. It had been too long and all her inhibitions decided it was a good time for a holiday. She growled at him and tilted her head back even more, offering her pale throat to her sire. “Love you, Spike. God I missed you,” she panted around her fangs.

“Shouldn’t have been such a moody mare now then, had you?” Spike cocked his head and watched his fingers slipping in and out of her swollen quim, her juices coating them. Her scent was all around them and his mouth watered and his fangs dropped slightly.

“Sod this. I need a taste…the smell of you is killing me.”

He flung her leg off his shoulder and pulled out his fingers. Spike ignored her moan at the loss and instead gripped her inner thighs and gently pushed them as far apart as she could go. “Pretty as a picture, sweetness.” Spike stared down at her laid open ready for his mouth-- and who was he to deny her. With a smile and a purr he swooped down and pressed a soft kiss on her quivering lips, his tongue curling down the sides of her passion-swollen inner lips and dipping into her clenching opening briefly, just to keep her on the edge.

With a happy sigh he turned his head and sought out the juice-slicked softness of her inner thighs, and with a purring growl, he vamped out and sank his fangs into her quivering flesh.

“Spiiike.” Buffy’s scream shook the rafters and a fine coating of dust floated down over the two lovers.
Her thighs clamped around his head, not wanting him to stop. He was back inside her and tasting her…it was all she wanted. Her fingers knotted themselves in his tousled curls as she rocked against his face, her soft flesh tearing around his fangs as he drank her.

His hands flexed on her waist and Spike sighed against her skin, slowly retracting his fangs from the plump flesh. He licked the wounds shut and pressed a kiss to the fang marks. “Lemme go, pet.” He gently pulled her thighs away from his head and silently thanked his maker for not needing to breath.

He opened his mouth to speak and was stopped with a kiss. Buffy lunged at him and wrapped her arms around his head and devoured his blood soaked lips with hers. She whispered sweet nothing against his mouth and sighed as his fingers returned to her cleft and gently tugged her downy curls. “Need inside you, love. Gonna lemme in, sweetness?”

Buffy reached between then and began to fumble with his belt buckle and the buttons of his jeans. “Off! Take it all off. I wanna see you,” she growled as she bit into his neck with a purr and let his blood seep from her mouth. She gave up with the jeans and ripped off his t-shirt, leaving Spike to wriggle out of them and kick them off as she kissed his nipples and ran her fangs around them, teasing them into firm peaks.

“Hey, not got many of those packed!” Spike grumbled.

“Could say the same about my panties, Spike.” Buffy grinned impishly and pushed down on his fingers as they slid into her soaked depths. “I…uh…expect, oh… to the left a bit. Shopping go…goodness as soon as we can. Oh god, that’s it, just there. Rodeo Drive, shops and pretties to make Buffy smile….Gah!” She shivered as Spike pressed his thumb firmly on her clit and held it there.

“No more knickers left…that’s good for me. Like the idea of you running around all bare and ready for me.” Spike pumped his fingers into her wetness and then pushed his thumb down hard. He watched as she came undone on his hand. “That’s it, lemme tend to you. You look so pretty all flushed and wriggling around on my fingers.” With his free hand he stroked her hair off her face, then wrapped it in his fingers and pulled her head back. He pressed a kiss on her open mouth and sucked her swollen lower lip into his mouth and nibbled on it.

Pulling away from her panting mouth, Spike stared at her; she was pure sin in that moment. Her legs splayed, his fingers buried in her depths, her breasts covered in lace and heaving with each unnecessary breath and her mouth swollen from his ardent kisses. The skin on her neck called to him. He looked down to where his hand was buried and smirked at the reddened bite mark he had left on her inner thigh. Blood seeped from the wound that he’d sealed with a kiss, anointing the back of his hand and wrist with her precious essence. Marking him as hers. He growled, undone by her, his debauched cherub.

Spike tugged her hair, forced her head back even more, and struck.

~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh my god, that is disgusting!”

There was a click of a crossbow being armed, followed by two more.

“Are you freaking nuts?” Cordelia’s voiced shrilled. “Oh my god, cover it up…jeez, is that all there is?” she mocked, anger tinting her voice. “How could you, Angel?” she added forlornly, betrayal colouring her voice.

“Oh dear god, my eyes…Angel, are you insane? What on earth are you doing? Have you no concept of the danger you are placing us all in? What about your guests?” Wesley whimpered. The last thing he had expected to see on returning from a job was Angel stark naked with Darla sleeping next to him and the scent of sex heavy on the air. He thanked his lucky stars that at least his desk was untainted by their coupling; he didn’t think there was enough disinfectant to remove that from it.

“Don’t ask him that, man. If that’s Angelus, you know he’s gonna be an insane fucker,” Gunn’s deep voice intoned. His angry eyes never left the brunette vampire he had thought was a friend and also a fellow fighter. From where he stood, it looked like Angel had found the going too tough and had decided to opt out of the fight.

Angel lurched up with a gasp, his hand clawing at his throat and the other clutching his chest. He stared bemused at the brace of crossbows pointed at him and Darla. He mentally cringed, wondering if his unlife could get any worse.

‘Darla…oh shit, what have I done?’ He stared bemused at the audience surrounding him and then clapped his hand over his genitals, covering them easily. “Wait guys, no I’m not evil…” Forgetting momentarily, he held the same hand up to forestall any angry crossbow bolts and flashed the three horrified humans again. He frantically clapped his hand back down and winced as his balls quivered in pain from the slap he gave them. Groaning slightly, he willed the incipient erection away; he hated that his cock liked pain and perked up whenever it appeared on the horizon.

‘It was all her fault...’ He glared at Darla, hating her for everything. Most of all this minute, the fact that he was so well trained to love pain and revelled in the sexual torture that Darla’s very experienced hands had taught him. He hated her for not helping him lose his soul and getting him away from the pain of Buffy and Spike loving each other. He hated himself for being so weak and letting her seduce him. He hated her for letting them get caught by his friends—now they would think so little of him.

“No, you’re nuts…Eewwww, I can’t believe you touched that skank.” Cordelia stared at Angel in disgust. “I will never forgive you.” She pulled a face at the semi hard cock that Angel was covering with the palm of his hand. “Oh my god, I am gonna need therapy after seeing that.” She waved her crossbow at Angel’s crotch, the action making the souled vampire’s eyes widen with fear and take a step back. “You need to be dipped in disinfectant.”

“Now …children, play nice.” Darla’s sickly sweet voice belied the tension around her. She glanced spitefully at Cordelia. “Awww, is the little girl all jealous that her crush made love to me?” she purred while casually smoothing her hair, paying no heed to the three sets of male eyes straining to take in her naked breasts as the bobbled up and down.

Cordelia snorted and rolled her eyes, “Please…ego much?” She pinned Angel with a gimlet eye and then huffed loudly. “As if I’d let him touch me.” She tossed her head and pinned Darla with a malicious look, one that Willow and Xander knew all too well from first hand experience. “Please, like I’d let his dick anywhere near me after it’d been in you!”

“Cordy…” Angel risked a glance at Darla and watched as she stood and ostentatiously straightened her red dress. He couldn’t believe he’d slept with her, tried to lose himself in her. He glared at Darla, hating himself for being so weak, hating her for being so easy. He wanted to cry, but couldn’t, not when his three associates were surrounding him with arrows and disappointed expressions on their faces. He needed to think fast and talk himself out of this. He doubted that he could blame Buffy, seeing that she wasn’t even around.

“Angelus, are you going to let her talk to me like that?” Rage filled her when she looked over at her silent childe; he still had that stinking soul. She wanted to tear his face off with her nails and then dust them both. The curse must’ve been changed so that he couldn’t lose it. The possibility that he couldn’t ever achieve perfect happiness between her legs never occurred to her. Instead she settled on the idea that whoever re-souled her boy had made it permanent. She wanted to howl and rage. But Darla realised she had very little chance of doing that and surviving this mess. So she focused on escaping.

“Darla, shut up and get out of here, now!” Angel scrambled to his feet and looked around for his pants.

“Oh for goodness sake, get dressed man. You are making an utter arse of yourself!” Wesley scooped up the crumpled pair of slacks and threw them at Angel, his eyes never leaving Darla. The flaxen-haired vampiress glared at the three of them and began to edge her way to the exit.

“Get out? Get OUT?” Cordelia yelled at Angel, her eyes wide with incredulity. “As if,” she snorted and took aim at Darla, her eyes narrowed. “Only way Darla the wonder slut is leaving is in a dustpan.”

“Wait…no…” Angel leapt forward, tangling himself in his trousers and tripping as the fell down. He managed to grab hold of Cordy’s crossbow and knock it out of her hands. Wes and Gunn were pulled over as Cordelia’s arms swung around her and they all collapsed into a cursing pile. Wes grunted as Gunn’s elbow caught him in the stomach and his fingers tightened reflexively on the trigger. There was a muffled scream and the sound of glass shattering.

“Eww, get off of me. You smell like sex and like evil slut juices…I so don’t wanna know where your hands and mouth have been. Gah, Darla breath…”

“Dear god, Cordelia, must you…I don’t need that image in my head.”

“I think I’m gonna be sick…” Wes and Gunn groaned in unison, both of them tinged around the gills with a green that Lorne would’ve envied.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh my god, Spike. You’re so laaaaame,” Buffy giggled as Spike blew a raspberry on her neck and then licked her from collarbone to chin.

“Love you, Slayer.” He kissed the tip of her nose, the innocence of the gesture belying the fact that his fingers were busy inside her. Slowly moving in and out of her tight channel, her arousal slickened his fingers and hand as he pumped in and out of her. Both of them gasped and kissed each other with deep wet succulent kisses that lingered on the edge of bliss.

“Love…oh—you too.” Buffy’s head dropped back and her mouth parted, her lips wet and swollen from his kisses. Her hips undulated on his dextrous fingers. “Please, no more teasing – foreplay is all of the good but I need you inside me now or I’ll die.”

Spike shook his head at her impatience and pulled his hand reluctantly from her soft channel, lingering on her swollen clit for a cheeky tweak. His lust-filled eyes focused on her body as she shivered through a mini orgasm. “Lie back down, sweets.” His hands ran over her heaving chest, teasing her nipples with firm pinches and tugs. He smirked as her body undulated as she sank backwards, her breasts pushed upwards as her back arched into his hands. Her sleek muscles rippling under her soft pale skin as she panted and moaned, her hands fisted in her tousled hair.

Languidly, Buffy raised her arms and caressed his sharp angular features. “Come to me, Spike.” Her voice took on a sultry husky timber as her lavender eyes watched his every move. Spike stood and kicked off his boots and jeans that were bunched around his ankles. He shrugged off the remains of his torn t-shirt and stood above her recumbent form. The pale moonlight shone in from the shattered windows above the two lovers, painting his lean muscled form with silvery fingers, illuminating his torso to her appreciative eyes. She purred approvingly at the image of his body limned in light and her eyes lingered on his jutting cock that curved up to his toned stomach. Smiling up at his she curled a finger at him and beckoned him down to her.

He sank down to his knee between her open legs and ran his hands up the soft quivering skin, gently nudging them further apart. “Spike.” Buffy reached up and curved her hands over his shoulder, soothing the tension in them and gently urging him to sink into her. Spike slowly lowered himself onto her willing body, his cock sliding up and nestling against her engorged clit. Her slick lips clung to his length as he slowly moved his hips up and down, savouring her wetness.

Buffy huffed angrily against his neck and then growled in his ear before giving it a languid lick, her fangs nibbling on his lobe. Spike purred and pressed his hips down, his cock slipping into her welcoming depths in a smooth move. They both moaned against each other’s open mouths before sealing their union with a deep kiss. Buffy’s hands flexed on his shoulders, her excitement peaking as she knew that the culmination of this evening would be their marking of each other.

Slowly his hips began to move in the age-old dance of all lovers. The still night air was filled with their moans and groans as their bodies took over and began to guide them to that peak where nirvana was reached. Buffy’s anticipation increased for the culmination of their lovemaking. She was ready for his bite; the one that would mark her as his and the mark she would place on his pale throat would declare him to all that saw it as her mate.

“Love you, Spike…I’m nearly – oh, there.”

Their body became a blur as the rocked against each other, their arms tightening as the tempo of their lovemaking increased. Spike’s human features shifted as his fangs and ridges appeared. The intensity of the moment overwhelming his thinly contained self control. His hand slipped between their frantically twisting bodies, seeking her nub, determined to tip her over at the same time as he tumbled over the edge into paradise.

Buffy squeaked as he twisted her clit and her body shook around him. “Gah…” Her inner walls fluttered about his aching cock and Spike groaned as she began to come. She angled her head ready to bite him. She was worried as she had only the vaguest ideas of what to do from books and whispers. She’d never heard of mating until she’d been turned and realised that Drac had taken all three of his ho’s as mates, She had wondered if he was just being the grandstanding ass that he is with the ‘ooohhh, they are mine for all eternity, joust like you will be, sweet Slayer-Childe of mine’. Until then she’d thought that mating between vampires was something from badly written pulp fiction vamp novels and Anne Rice theories. She was still unsure of it, but figured even if there were no mystical union, shared thoughts or enhanced powers, at least they would bear each other’s permanent fang marks.

Spike reared his head back, ready to strike and then suddenly, he wavered. His thoughts were filling in his head as they both roared in unison and tumbled into bliss. He jerked his throat away from Buffy’s questing fangs with a gasp of realisation. He wanted more than a scar, he wanted it all. He smiled down at the hurt and confusion in her sweet eyes and brushed a chaste kiss on her forehead and then changed her entire world with three softly whispered little words. Ones she had never dreamt of hearing once she had been called as a Slayer and had left all her childish dreams and hopes behind as her life was inextricably intertwined with the dark.

“Marry me, Buffy?”

A/N and you thought I was gonna do a claim right? After reading alot of theories that have been floating around LJ re claims my beta Megan suggested (quite strongly LOL) that I should investigate other ideas and when she read this she said yup that's good sticks to the canon and ideas of JW - so here it is Spike's proposal - wonder what Buffy'll make of it???

Now be wonderful and gimme loads of commenty goodness this chapter was a bear to write and the Angel torture was such fun - it's for Wulfie incase he's wondering *winks*
Chapter 35 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
Please be warned: This is a fairly violent chapter - please be warned as I a couple of loved characters are put through the mill. Some of Glory's dialogue will sound familiar I fiddled around with the script from the show. Also be warned there is smut.
Chapter 35

"So I got kinda bored waiting for Count 'Ivannawaittillater' to work out which one of the Slayer's little friends was my Key."

Tara froze. Her hands shook as she tried to insert the key into the lock. The Magic Box was a silent witness to the scream of pain as her wrist snapped under the pressure of the smaller blonde's hand as Glory spun Tara around to face her.

"Oh, you are a cutie, I had my boys watching over you last night, seeing that you are the newest arrival and all." Glory gripped harder and Tara gasped as she felt her wrist shatter. Glory grinned maliciously and let the blood under finger help her hand slide over her victims twitching fingers and crush them in her iron hard grasp. "Have to say they were kinda pissed about the wards up on your crash pad. None of them could get you for me, so here I am, having to go out in the sun. You have any idea how bad this is for my divine complexion?"

"Oh goddess," Tara quietly cried, , unwilling to draw attention to passers-by. She and Giles had parted that morning so he could get a change of clothes and freshen up. A small part of her railed at the foolishness of them all. Their strongest fighters were gone, leaving two mortals alone and vunerable to attack. None of them had even considered for one brief moment, that one day without Buffy or Spike around, things would get this bad. She retched from pain amplified as Glory crushed her fragile bones to powder.

"Oh, this is nice. Just hangin' out, just us girls. I heard you like that sort of thing, don't you?" Glory squeezed Tara's imprisoned hand harder and grinned at the sight of blood seeping out between their fingers.

Tara winced in pain; flashes of white hot agony shot up from her hand and into her body, the sound of her fragile bones cracking filled the air. "Ahhh." She took a deep breath and held it as she tried not to fall to her knees in anguish.

"Don't make a sound," Glory warned as she tightened her grasp. She glanced down and watched the blood seep from between their fingers. Tara gasped again and tried to subdue her whimpers as Glory looked up and down the street to check that they were being ignored. She was on the alert for any do-gooders who might interfere with her getting her Key and stopping her fun. Early morning passer-bys were oblivious to the dramatic events unfolding, not seeming to notice a little thing like a bone crushing as out of place. “You gotta love this town. Their heads are so far up their asses they don’t see a thing, not even this!” Glory raised their joined hands and shook them, showering blood over Tara’s fair hair.

Tara took a sobbing breath trying not to fall to the ground in a babbling weeping mess. She looked away, desperately searching for the familiar sight of Giles, who had arranged to meet her that morning. She glanced at the two cycle cops at the top of the street, chatting to themselves and oblivious of her situation and pain.

"Nah. They won't help you. I'd kill them,” the goddess promised maliciously. “You know that. All of them are vunerable, just like you," she taunted. “There's no one here that can stop me, no one to save you," Glory mocked as Tara continued to gasp and pant as agony filled her.

"There's no one here that cares that your hand is mush and blood is soaking the cement," Glory laughed cruelly. The god casually flexed her fingers against Tara’s as she used her superhuman strength on the little Wicca’s hand, revelling in the groan of pain that erupted from her victim's lips. “Ohhh yummy, I love it when they scream and whimper, makes me tingly all over.”

"Please, don't," Tara whimpered and tried to pull her hand free.

Glory shook her head and laughed. "Don't even try, honey. I'll kill her," she drawled while pointing to a mother pushing her baby in a pram. "And ... and them." She gestured to a couple waiting at the bus stop. "I'll kill him, and her and her." She laughed loudly, throwing back her head and shaking her hair over her shoulders. "And it'll all be your fault." Glory's nails dug in and Tara's blood began to drip out between their fingers. Tara continued to whimper softly, in agonising pain and her breathing was erratic.

"Kinda funny, isn't it? All these people here and ... no one who can do a thing. Not a person who can help you."

Tara whimpered and turned her head to look at Glory. Her eyes widened at the sight of Giles's car pulling onto Main Street. Hope filling her, she gritted her teeth and tried to wrest her hand free.

Glory ignored her futile attempts and carried on her one-sided conversation. "But that's people for ya. They're pretty worthless." She sighed dramatically and watched as a man walked past them. "But keys, on the other hand ... keys are worth a whole lot to lil’old me."

Tara's stomach dropped at the mention of Dawnie. She gritted her teeth, determined to at least keep that secret. She shook her head and tightened her lips defiantly.

Glory smiled and brought their clenched hands up to her sneering mouth and licked off some of the blood. Her eyes widened in shock and she made a disgusted face and spat on the pavement. "You lying little tramp! You're not the key -- you're nothing! Just another worthless human being!" she exclaimed angrily.

"But I never said I was the Key," Tara whispered painfully in her defence.

Glory shook their joined hands maliciously, enjoying the whimpers of agony escaping from her captive's lips. "I hate being lied to. It makes me feel so betrayed." She paused briefly pondering her next move, also mentally torturing and eviscerating her idiot minions for their mistake. "Hey!" She looked back at Tara's sweating pale face. "You wanna make it all better?" Tara looked at her with fear. "If you tell me who the key really is ... I'll let you go," Glory lied.

Tara’s face filled with alarm. Glory gave her hand another squeeze and she whimpered again as the last of her bones cracked under the pressure.

Tara blinked through her tears. In the distance she saw Giles slam on the brakes of his car and leap out. He began to run towards them, his feet beating a sharp frantic staccato on the sidewalk. But he was already too late. She could see his anguished face as he ran towards her calling her name. Tara groaned under her breath, realising that they were both lost.

"Think about it. You think your hand hurts? Imagine what you'd feel with my fingers wiggling in your brain." Tara gulped loudly, fear fixing her pulse at a rapid pace. "It doesn't kill you. What it does ... is make you feel like you're in a noisy little dark room." Glory frowned and moved from foot to foot, fidgeting uncomfortably. "Naked and ashamed ... and there are things in the dark that need to hurt you because you're bad ... little pinching things that go in your ears." Tara began to sob loudly as she watched Giles running towards her almost as if he were in slow motion. Glory continued, oblivious to the events unfolding around her. "It crawls on the inside of your skull. And you know ... that if the noise and the crawling would stop ... that you could remember how to get out." Glory contemplated her own words as Tara continued to weep quietly.

The smug god turned to look at Tara again and smirked. "But you never, ever will." Glory crushed the useless hand in her palm, giggling at the girl’s cry of pain.

"Who ... is ... the key?" she demanded again.

Tara forced herself to stop crying and looked Glory defiantly in the eye, and said nothing.

"Fine, let's get crazy." Glory caressed the side of Tara's face with her other hand. Tara whimpered and tried to pull her face away. It was all too late; strong fingers plunged into Tara's vulnerable head.

There was a crackle and a pop, and then nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy rolled onto her side and glared at the demon next to her making with the noises. She sighed wistfully. ‘So much for the romantic snuggles and Spike loving’. The happy rumbles and snorts were loud enough to shake dust off the rafters above her and a total mood killer. She huffed and reached over and poked Spike in the ribs. As cute, sexy and as adorable as he was, the snoring was kind of loud and she wanted him awake and making with the Spike shaped snuggles.

Spike muttered something under his breath and pulled her closer to his lax body. She sighed happily and rubbed up against him like a contented kitten.

“Spike, are you awake?” Buffy whispered. The only response she got was a snuffling sound as he buried his face into her hair.

Buffy mentally rolled her eyes. ‘And it’s strike one for vamp stamina.’ She wriggled a bit and managed to slither down his body until her nose was mashed against his breastbone. Spike clung tightly to her head and cradled it against him. After the last few strained days, even in his subconscious he was determined not to let her go. He purred and snorted happily, his dreams filled with his childe.

“Mmmph…” Buffy wriggled out from his embrace and down to his belly button. With a gentle push she managed to get Spike to lay on his back. ‘The perfect yum.’ Her tongue flickered out and dipped into his bellybutton. She spent a few minutes mapping it out with her teeth and lips, causing Spike’s hips to undulate against her body. Her fingers were busy playing and tweaking his flat nipples – he arched his back as her fingernails scraped not too gently on the soft pale skin. She smirked and let her fangs drop. Delicately, Buffy nipped at his alabaster pale skin, her tongue quickly lapping the beads of blood that rose to the surface of the minute wounds.

Buffy reluctantly left his bellybutton and trailed her lips and fangs down the fine line of hair that was pointing to her eventual goal. Her hands pressed on his lean hips, holding him still as her tongue explored his muscled stomach. She purred happily as her agile tongue traced the clean lines of his hips and downwards. Her pouting lips brushed against the deep brown curls that surrounded his twitching cock, it was semi-hard and slowly rising to the occasion.

Buffy slipped between Spike’s splayed legs and reached for his budding erection. She cradled it reverently in her hands and rubbed the soft skin gently with her fingers. Her entranced eyes never left it, mesmerised as it slowly hardened and lengthened in her eager grasp. She ran a fingernail down along the throbbing veins, watching fascinated as his cock lurched with each delicate touch.

Spike woke with a yelp on his lips and a very happy smile on his face.

“Slayer…” he hissed as he watched her full swollen lips consume the tip of his erection and moaned at the passion filled eyes that stared up his body at him. He levered himself up on shaky arms and watched entranced as she tried to consume him whole. The strong muscles in her throat constricted around him as Buffy swallowed over and over, determined to take him all in. Spike gritted his teeth as she gulped hard and his cock slipped down her throat and her lips pressed against his groin. She really did seem to enjoy doing this to him! “Jesus.” He choked off his words at the sensation of her throat tightening around his hyper- sensitive cock head as she purred at him.

Then it was over. Spike screamed out her name as a white bolt of fire shot from his balls up to his spine, fried his brain and then shot back down to his erupting cock.

“Oh my sweet vixen… oh Christ, stop sucking… no, don’t stop, yeaaah, that’s it. Nibble just there, you vixen.” Spike kept a continuous stream of babble going as Buffy swallowed his cum in eager gulps, her teeth and tongue busily drawing out his pleasure. Her hands were diligently running up and down his thigh and dipped under her chin to squeeze his balls and rub at the sensitive skin behind them, her mouth continued on his softening cock. Slowly she let him slip from her swollen lips and her pink tongue lapped the flaccid organ clean, her eyes never leaving his passion filled face.

Pressing a soft kiss to the tip of his cock, Buffy sat up on her heels and licked her lips clean. “So you’re awake now?”

Spike gaped up at the siren kneeling between his legs.

“Cat got your tongue?” Buffy teased as she crawled up his supine body. “Lemme check.” She pressed an open mouthed kiss to his lips and let her tongue dip into his mouth, curling it around his briefly before she pulled back. “Nope, it’s right there,” she added with a twinkle to her eyes. Spike gulped and licked his lips. He could taste himself on them and stared up at Buffy speechless, all power to speak robbed from him by her dextrous tongue and mouth. He was positive his brains had shot out of his ears when he’d come and that he would be a mute drooling idiot for the rest of his unlife. But as long as she was with him, he’d be happy, even if he had to learn sign language.

“Hey, what’s with the Marcel Marceau impersonation?” Buffy teased as she rubbed his chest with her hands. She reached down and grabbed hold of his slack hands and placed them on her swollen breasts, mutely encouraging Spike to tease and tweak her aching nipples, something he did so well. Spike’s numb fingers responded and slowly his hands began to play with her breasts.

“Morn’in?” Spike managed to splutter out before she straddled his hips and began to rub her wet cleft up and down on his rapidly reappearing erection.

“Yeah. I think it is?” She squinted up at the dirty windows. “Guess we’re stuck here for the day? Hmmm…wonder what we can do to keep busy?” She looked down with a pout at her sire and waited for him to say something. Buffy shimmed her hips and let his cock slip between her slick inner lips. As she slithered up and down on it, she groaned throatily. “Oh, I know we can do this.” With that, she shifted slightly and Spike slid into her tight wet depths.

“Well yeah, there is that…” Spike trailed off as her inner muscles tightened.

~~~~~~~~~

“Oh dear lord, no!” Giles ran as fast has his legs could go, but he could see he was already too late. He powerlessly watched as Glory’s fingers sank into Tara’s defenceless skull. He tripped over his feet wavered and managed to keep his balance, in his haste to get to the sweet girl and stumbled. Straightening, he ran over the road and slithered to a halt a foot away from Tara, the brave witch having finally sunk to her knees. He had no idea what the frizzy haired so-called Goddess was doing to the poor girl, all he could see was her fingers moving deeper and deeper into Tara's head.

Glory flung her head back, a look of orgasmic glee on her sharp features, her red painted lips parting as she sighed happily at the infusion of power and sanity. "Sooo good," she crooned. Tara's hands dropped into her lap as reason and sanity was robbed from her. Slowly any animation and intelligence left was pulled from her as Glory delved even deeper into the wiccan's psyche and robbed her of all that she was..

“No!” Giles reached for her, his gaze caught on the vacant look in her eyes, unaware of Glory reaching for him. Her face twisted with a malicious smile of glee. Finally she was able to send a message to the Slayer—robbing a friend of her mind and breaking her father figure.

So caught up in each other, neither of the three heard the crackle and pop behind them.

Glory’s hands grasped hold of Giles’s lapels and jerked him off his feet.

“Hey there, Slayer poppa. Time for you to say nighty night,” Glory sneered as she hefted him easily over her head. Giles’s tried to wriggle free, his hand clutching futilely at her wrists. He already knew it was too late. His struggles were all for nothing – she was stronger and faster. She was a goddess and he was a mere mortal, even his magicks were a poor defence against an insane goddess intent on causing maximum destruction.

“You know, maybe I should just drain you too. She tasted of shortbread and fondant fancies, wonder if you would as well?” Glory tossed her curly hair over her shoulder, intent on Giles. Her glittering eyes drank in the agony on his face.

“You rancid bint, you'll get your comeuppance,” Giles spat in her face. Defiance filled him. He knew that there was little he could do and his soul ached for the additional anguish Buffy would undergo when she discovered his and Tara's fate. But he knew that she would not let Glory get away with this or anything else.

“Now that is just plain rude.” Glory shook him hard, smirking with uncontained glee as his head jolted abruptly from side to side. She gripped him with one hand around the throat, uncaring that she was bruising him badly with her superhuman strength. Glory used her free hand to wipe the spittle off her face and dried it on his shirt. "I hate fleshbags. Do you realise that from the moment you are born, you are rotting to death?” She cocked her head and stared deeply into Giles’s eyes, watching the light in them fade out slowly. “Imagine that from the moment you take breath, you are on a countdown for the big sleep. Must be kinda frustrating.” Glory shook him again and then yawned mockingly. “Getting kinda bored with this. Your blood and sweat is ruining my manicure.” Her thin lips made a moue of disgust. “That’s another thing I hate. All the fluids you humans seep everywhere. It's disgusting, I tell you. Disgusting!"

Giles felt something break inside him. As she shook him like a cat with a mouse, an excruciating pain shot through his body. His vision blurred even more as his glasses flew off and shattered on the tarmac. His hands loosened their death grip on her wrist as he fought to stay conscious against her assault. But his body failed him. The pain and damage the hell goddess was inflicting on him was more that any mortal would've been able to stand. His legs jerked once, then again as his neck shattered. Blood began to seep from his mouth and nose as delicate vessels in his brains burst under the pressure of her grip. He could feel his adam's apple splintering and bile rose in his throat. Giles glared at her defiantly and spat blood into Glory's laughing face in a last blast of bravado.

Glory reeled back in horror. “That is vile.” Using her free hand, she blotted the blood stained spittle and wiped it on Giles’s jacket. Before she could do anything else, Glory felt something paw at her skirt. Looking down into her first victim’s slack face, the goddess grimaced.

“It's dirty. It's all dirty. And all over me,” he heard Tara moan. He tried to form reassuring words, but with that last use of his energy darkness seeped into his vision. His last memory was of flying.

“Ewww, don’t touch me, you freak!” Glory kicked Tara hard, dancing away from her clinging hands. Instead, she watched as Giles sailed across Main Street and hit a lamppost with a massive crash. Glory dusted her hands in satisfaction. "Now, if that isn't a message for the Slayer, then I don't know what is."

An anguished voice filled the silent street. “NOOOOO!”



A/N *Ducks and hides* Lookat me am scurring off to start writing next chapter. Comments? Love it? Hate it? Who is the mystery arrival who is screaming nooooo at the end? Did you like the Spuffy smuttage? Let me know what you thought pretty please
Chapter 36 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
A friendly warning there is biting and bloodplay and a wee bit of Angel being in pain - some of this chapter is a bit gruesome and not for kiddies.
They returned to utter chaos.

The entire hotel was in uproar over Angel's lapse and his unfortunate choice of Darla bouncing to assuage his jealousy over Spike and Buffy.

The reception was filled with angry voices, already pitched high and slowly getting louder as accusations and recriminations were flung at him. The highest pitched being Cordelia, with a wounded look on her face as she demanded that Angel be chained up in the basement for the night and the next day. Just to be safe from Angelus. She added sardonically that she doubted he'd get a happy from screwing an old hobag like his ex, but better to be on the safe side of his fangs. Wes and Gunn book-ended her with folded arms and disapproving faces, neither of them able to express the disappointment their employer's foolish sexathon had created in them. The vampire in question knelt with his head bowed, with his hands palm upward on his knees, shirtless and barefooted - an outward study in penitence.

Joyce, Dawn and Anya stood on the semi landing that lead out into the courtyard behind the hotel, discomfit and embarrassment apparent on their features. Even the usually garrulous ex-demoness was silent--acutely aware that now was not the time for bluntness. She was shivering slightly in fear; the threat of Angelus was more than dominant in her mind and quickly pushed Dracula's posturing threats to one side. She did not want to be here anymore. She was tired and had been looking forward to hearing about the sexcapades from Spike or Buffy and was wrong footed by the vampires who had indulgence in dangerous screwing. Xander had told her all about Angelus's last appearance in this dimension and she was very glad indeed that she had no puppies or fish. She was wondering why on earth Angel was playing Russian roulette with his soul and all their lives. Especially when he'd taken a Blood Oath to protect Dawn and Joyce; she knew the seriousness of vampire's fealties and was wondering how far Spike would take his right to punishment over the older vampire. She's seen many a dominant act taken over an Oath breaker and doubted that Buffy would want Spike doing any of those things, not when they were a new couple.

Joyce had one arm wrapped around her pseudo-daughter's shoulders and a disapproving look on her usually calm features. She felt torn. Angel had saved her life only a few days ago and now he was risking hers and all the others with his foolish choices. He was a hero in her book, a flawed one but a hero who had ensured her survival and given her health back to her.

She'd only experienced a tip of the iceberg when it came to Angelus's last appearance. Her mind shied away from how it had happened. As far as she was concerned, she had the mother's right to live in denial. 'Buffy was a virgin and would always be one.' She knew he was much older than her, but suspected that like most vampires he suffered from arrested development. She and Giles had talked about this in the past. No matter what they experienced or lived through, a hint of teenage desires and actions seemed to guide them. Angel had made a mistake, a big one, but the recriminations were bound to teach him a much-needed lesson.

Dawn was squeaking internally in delight; 'Angel was soooo busted, not the holier than thou vampire with a soul and so above Spike now, was he?' She was kinda gagging over the Darla screwage, cos it was like sleeping with his mom. Dawn pulled a face in disgust at her mental meanderings. Also Darla was like the town bike from what Spike had told her. He'd even mentioned something about how the Master must've buried her in a Y-shaped coffin when he turned her. It had taken her a few days to work that one out, but once she did, Dawn couldn't stop giggling. She had known something weird was going on and had even spotted Darla, but thought she'd been dust so figured is was nothing but pizza induced imaginings. But now she was so right. Angel and Darla had been bumping uglies and not even somewhere private. What was with the boinking in public? So not want she wanted to know...Imagined images of Angel's hairy ass bouncing up and down were not going to give her sweet dreams, ever. To this day she had no idea what Buffy had seen in him. He was nothing compared to Spike.

It was the three Sunnydale natives on the landing who were the first ones to notice the blond vampire's stealthy entrance from the basement, as they were the only ones not the ones caught up in yelling at Angel and his dick.

"Buffy! Spike! Oh my god, are you guys okay now?" Dawn shrieked excitedly and then she pulled free of her mom's arm and flew into her sister's, babbling ten to the dozen. Trying to fill Buffy in on what Angel had been up to while she'd been making up with Spike. Spike's nostrils flared at the familiar sickly scents of his Grandmum and Peaches’ mingled sex scents, something he'd never expected his nasal passages ever having to suffer through again. His sharp accusing gaze snapped over to Angel, who was studiously refusing to meet his angry azure eyes.

Buffy’s voice broke Spike's concentration on his contrite Elder. "Spike? What's going on?" Buffy's thin fingers caught hold of his elbow before he could launch himself in a fury over the lobby and tear Angel's dangly bits off and shove them up his arse.

"Seems like Bum Fluff over here has been dipping his wick in a very old inkwell, one that I thought was dust," he sneered. Amber rapidly chased away the icy blue in his eyes as he vamped out with a bone rattling roar that made everyone stop in their tracks and turn big eyed to stare at him. His fangs flashed in the overhead lights as he growled and bared them at Angel, fury limning his taut frame as his hackles rose.

"Wha…" Buffy frowned in confusion at Spikey metaphors. Then slowly her eyes widened to the point where she was positive they'd pop out of her frazzled skull as Dawn's twittering finally made sense to her. Her nose scrunched up in disgust as her mouth formed a moue of revulsion. She whapped him on the back of the head. "Ewww! Gross, Spike!" she exclaimed.

"Oi, don't bash your fiancé on the noggin." He ducked dramatically. The smack wasn’t exactly painful, but he was so hyped up from Angel's betrayal of his oath that he was not in the mood to be slapped on the head.

"Fiancé?" Joyce, Dawn and Anya echoed in excitement. Joyce clapped her hand over her mouth in surprise her eyes twinkling with enthusiasm. Buffy's jaw dropped in shock over his casual announcement of their betrothal; he was so going to pay for that. She had wanted a ring on her finger before he said anything. Part of her was thrilled but part was still smarting over his refusal to do the bitey thing. She was unsure as to why and was dying to ask Anya what was up with that.

Soon everyone, barring Angel who had hunched his shoulder even more at the announcement, were clamouring to congratulate the newly affianced pair. Even Cordelia, who much to Buffy's surprise gave her a strong hug and a broad smile. It was the soggy tearstained embrace from her mom that began to warm her heart towards the idea of being Mrs The Bloody. It was Joyce's whispered and pained admission that she had never expected Buffy to have this experience that made Buffy finally accept within herself that it was the right thing to do - for now. She eyed his neck and let her fangs drop down, her mouth watering as she imagined having a nibble on it.

"So, Peaches...not going to say anything?" Spike stalked over to the still submissive vampire, his eyes shut and hands now fisted tight. Blood was seeping from the half moon shaped wounds on the palms of his hands. "You got a lot to answer for as well as giving me a hearty congrats for the prospective nuptials."

Angel winced, his heavy shoulders curling inwards even more. He was acutely aware that the entire foyer was now silent as its occupants waited with baited breath for his reaction to Spike's needling. He was tired; his back hurt from all the exercise earlier. He'd forgotten how active Darla liked him to be when satisfying her. The oblivious brunette was still under the impression he'd satisfied his departed sire.

Spike continued his diatribe, aware that Angel wasn't ready to hold his hands up to the massive Darla shaped White Elephant between them. "From what I smell of it and what the others say, you've been a busy bunny." He smirked at Anya's outraged squeak and carried on. "Entertaining the old boiler - with not a thought for the safety of the two you gave me a Blood Oath to protect?" Spike growled again and bounced on the balls of his feet, ready to kick the flabby-arsed git around the entire hotel.

"I'm sorry," Angel sighed and finally looked up. Shame filled his brown eyes as he glanced first at Spike, then hesitantly over at his lost girl who was holding onto her mother and sister's hands tightly. She returned his look solemnly, betrayal reflected in every line of her slight frame.

"Dear God. A Blood Oath?" Wesley mumbled in surprise. His eyes widening in stunned amazement behind his glasses. "Buffy, do you realise that Angel has placed himself in an untenable situation through his thoughtless actions tonight?"

"Howsthat?" Buffy's face was now a picture of confusion. She was sure that she hadn’t read about the oathy thingy in that book.

"Spike has the right to, well, take..." He trailed off uncertainly when he realised there were some very young ears hanging on his every word. Before Dawn could even draw breath to whine or demand, Joyce had clapped her hands over her youngest's ears and pulled her swiftly upstairs. She was not willing to see any taking of anything tonight and there was no way on earth Dawn was either.

"Oh my God, there will be no taking of Angel in front of me. There is not enough money in the world to pay for the kinda therapy I would need for that trauma." Cordelia made a gagging noise and stalked off, pulling a loudly protesting Anya behind her.

"But I want the see the pretty vampires having sex...that's not fair!" was the last plaintive wail heard from her as they disappeared rapidly up the stairs after Joyce and Dawn.

"Spike, there is no way you are doing that. You're mine." Buffy's eyes flashed purple as she let her fangs drop.

"Oh for the love of Mike, can you see me dropping trou round here? With all you lot ogling me?" Spike whirled and pinned a blushing Wesley with a glare that would freeze fire. "You ruddy Watchers are obsessed with sex and bloodplay," Spike barked out a sharp laugh. "What do you lot do? Have seminars on it?" He ignored Wes's fish impersonations. "I bet there are huge debates over the fact we don't need to breathe and how long we can give head, right?" He curled his tongue against the back of his fangs and smiled lasciviously. "Bet all the watcher girl's thighs quiver when reading you lot the smutty theories about us being mass shaggers of anything and everything, whether it has a pulse or not."

Wes turned puce and suddenly found the tips of his shoes fascinating as Spike's comment rang true. Gunn guffawed loudly and clapped the humiliated ex-Watcher on the shoulder.

"You Brits, it's always the quiet ones!" he laughed.

"Well really, this is not necessary," Wes stuttered, knowing he had no defence as the ever-observant vampire was spot on. There were numerous texts on the sexual practises of vampires and the engravings illustrating them had been a visual aid of relief for a lot of trainee watchers over the years. He himself had led seminars on the subject and he’d produced a top class thesis on the mating practises of the vampire clans.

"Spike, give the guy a break." Buffy was rapidly approaching the turning tail and scampering off cos of the massive embarrassment that was Spike. "Focus on the situation, not on the totally pervy watchers." She mentally shied away from the image of Giles getting a happy over a vamp sex manual. 'Gahh, so not something I wanna think about when discussing patrol with Giles.!'

"Right, the situation. Sorry, love." Spike pivoted on his heels and turned his attention back to Angel, his face settling in sombre lines. "You offered me a Blood Oath to protect my kin. You failed in honouring that pledge, how do you plead?" Spike's usually rough timbered voice smoothed out and he took on a polished tone that surprised them all, except for Angel. Wes, Gunn and Buffy blinked in unison, surprised at his upper-class accent that was not so dissimilar to Wes's cut glass voice.

"You brought that vicious old tart in here for a quick poke, knowing that you were putting all of the girls in danger, let alone your own people. Why?" Spike demanded.

Angel's gaze flickered to Buffy's still form briefly, giving Spike the confirmation of what he had suspected in that one longing look.

"So that was the way of it." Spike reached down and caught hold of Angel's dishevelled hair and yanked his head back with a brutal twist of his wrist. .

"I'm sorry I let you all down. Do it, Spike. You have the right of it." With that, Angel bared his throat. Spike struck without preamble; Angel knew the score and offered no resistance. It was Spike's privilege.

Seconds stretched into minutes as the two men and Buffy bore silent witness to the ancient vampiric ritual.

"So, no sex then?" Gunn whispered to them. "Cos kinda have to say phew to that, not something I wanna witness."

Buffy's frown deepened and she nudged Gunn in the ribs with her elbow none too gently. "Hey, enough with the slashy homoerotic sexage. That's my guy over there."

"Sorry, m'am."

"Fascinating. I imagine that must be starting to pinch a bit by now." Wes's fingers twitched as he ached to take notes. He was witnessing something that he imagined no other mortal had ever seen; it was the stuff of his wildest dreams and imaginings.

Spike managed to contain his groan of pleasure. It had been so long since he'd tasted familial blood and his demon was savouring every last drop. Dru had never been strong enough after Prague and he had nearly forgotten the heady flavour of untainted Aurelian blood, but having it offered freely and so willingly was the cherry on the top.

Angel could feel his body weakening with each long pull of Spike's mouth. His veins were slowly constricting as they dried out; he could feel his flesh tightening on his bones and his gums receding as he began to feel light-headed. Spike continued to drain him, Angel's hands beginning to shake as he felt consciousness start to leave him whilst his Grandchilde exacted his blood price. He knew that Blood Oaths and the breaking of them could result in death if the injured party wished it so. Angel shook as Spike's fangs dug deeper with no thought to gentleness. He knew that he'd failed and deserved this. Penitence was owed and he would pay with his life's blood. Allowing Darla in the hotel was a monumentally wrong, but the ultimate sin was leaving himself open to a dusting by sleeping next to her in post coital bliss. Then there was his greatest shame, trying to lose his soul because of being jealous of Spike and Buffy. He had done all this on top of abandoning his promise to protect Joyce and Dawn.

He deserved to be drained to dust -- then everything went black.

Spike allowed himself one final pull before he ripped his fangs free of Angel's withered neck, tearing the skin badly in the process. He'd felt Angel succumb to oblivion. It was enough; he knew that dusting Angel would hurt Buffy and he wasn't about to start down that path.

"Will he survive?" Wesley's query broke the shocked and mute tableau.

"With some care, yeah, he will." Spike reached out for Buffy, instinctively knowing she needed reassurance. He could sense her confusion through their bond about the ritual and was shocked by Angel's poor choices. It had been something she'd never expected from her first love. He'd always been flawless in her eyes, despite losing his soul. She flew into Spike's arms and held him tight.

Gunn easily lifted the shrivelled husk of Angel's emaciated form into his arms. "I'll chain him up and lock him in his rooms with some blood."

Wesley nodded his thanks and was about to join Gunn when the phone rang. It was second nature that had him reach for it, all the while watching Gunn’s progress out of the room. "Angel investigations. We help the...who is this? Ah, so good to hear from you. I’m sorry? Beg your pardon…Willow, slow down. Where are you? What is going on?" he barked out as the voice on the other line began to get more and more hysterical.

"Wills? Oh my God, is that her? Gimme." Buffy dragged Spike over to her former Watcher, her ears out on stalks. “What’s she doing calling from the coven? I thought she was in seclusion.”

She bounced impatiently from one foot to the other as the taller man evaded her hands, his brow furrowing in concern as he listened.

"I'll tell them," he said into the receiver tiredly. And with that, he rung off and sighed heavily.

"Hey! She's my friend. Why couldn't I speak with her?" Buffy pouted at Wes and then her brows tightened as she realised that the call was not of the good. "What's happened?" she whispered, her voice small and scared. Last they'd heard from Willow was that she was being re-trained by the Devon coven and now she was calling Angel. "How come she called here?"

Spike held her tight, offering comfort the only way he could.

"Spit it out, Cambridge," he growled.

"Well, it appears that Glory staged on attack on your friend Tara and Giles was caught up in it." Wesley managed not to stammer as he delivered the news to the two partners, himself still more than a little stunned by what he’d been told.

“When? Where?” Spike barked out.

“This morning. It appears that Glory had decided that Tara was her Key. She moved to appropriate her and seems to have discovered that she wasn’t and drained her mind.”

Buffy’s tears were flowing in a steady stream as she silently berated herself for abandoning Tara to her fate. They’d left believing it would be a quick trip there and back, and that Glory and her cronies would’ve never known that they were gone. She’d been wrong. They left Tara defenceless and vunerable, without either of them there to stand between her and the demented Hell goddess intent on destroying them all in her search for her Key. “God, it’s all my fault.” Her slender frame shuddered as she dry retched.

“Buffy, don’t. It’s not your fault.” Spike was grim faced, all too aware that nothing he said would make any difference. His girl took the weight of the world on her shoulders without any flinching and wavering from her path, but this was one guilt trip he was not going to be able to cosset her out of. Lines of frustration were etched around his mouth and eyes as he reached for her and smoothed her hair from her tear soaked face.

“But it is. I left her alone, defenceless.” Buffy whimpered whimpered and collapsed against his chest, wiping her face on the soft cotton.

Spike shushed her as he stroked her hair, rocking her back and forth trying to reassure her. He was partly beating himself up for rushing out of Sunnyhell without more safety measures in place, both he and Giles thought that a day away would not be a danger for any of them. A thought occurred to him. “Hang about. How did Red find out?”

“She sensed something was about to happen to her lover and convinced the Coven to assist her in getting to Sunnydale. They agreed to help and sent her over. But it seems like she was a little late.”

Wesley winced, knowing that what he was about to say was going to devastate his former charge. “Buffy, I am so sorry, but it gets worse.” Wesley wanted to run from the scene. He felt like a ghoul watching the anguish of Buffy’s face as she braced herself for more bad news from Willow.

“It’s Giles.” Wesley nearly chocked on the words, but managed to force himself to swallow hard and plunge on. “He’s in hospital, a coma and well, the doctors aren’t confident about his diagnosis.”

It was ironic the lobby of the Hyperion had been a hive of sound and activity when they arrived and now it was silent. A frozen tableau of misery and fear.

So quiet you could’ve heard a pin drop.

A/N I am being a complete review whore for once - I very rarely ask/beg for feedback but I would really really love to hear what you thought about this chapter which was a bugger to write! Thank you *g*
Chapter 37 by Schehrezade
Author's Notes:
PLEASE BE WARNED!!!! There are scenes of a graphic nature and it is not for the faint hearted or underaged at all. I cannot stress this enough there is a very grim section in the chapter and a character death.
Her high heels clicked on the polished floor, all around her the sounds and smells that she dreaded more than anything in the entire world. Last time she’d been here was with Tara, and that was not a happy memory. Vegetable Riley had been so heartbreaking to witness, and now she was here to visit Giles. She shivered, a heavy arm dropped over her shoulders, he pulled her against his side and brushed a kiss over the crown of her head, reassuring her.

“He’s a tough old bastard pet, no fretting till you have too. Right?”

Buffy looked up through tear-filled eyes, a tremulous smile ghosted across her lips. Her left hand reached up, the diamond on her engagement finger catching the light as she caressed his face. “Right,” she whispered. His hand shot up to capture hers and he pressed it against his cheek, his thumb tracing over the pretty bauble that he’d bought for her on the way out of Los Angeles. Taking her hand he turned it over and pressed a lingering kiss into the palm and closed her fingers around it.

Buffy stared at the glinting jewel mesmerised, she couldn’t believe it was hers. She was still in shock over the casual way Spike had pulled her into the small antique shop and began to examine the trays of beautiful old rings. Trying to ignore the crowd of family and friends all peering into the shop Buffy had stared at the sparkling pretties for ages, until Spike lost his patience and began to pick out a few and laid them out in front of her. The shopkeeper had been a weird smelling old demoness, all wrinkles and, if you had looked closely, two sets of teeny tiny blue horns peeked through her grey curls.

What had weirded her out the most was the triple forked tongue that had flickered out now and then when she was describing the history of the rings. Then Spike had changed the rules and called her Slayer in front of the wizened demoness; the crone had practically flown around the counter and embraced her. So not what she’d expected from a demon, but then again what was normal these days?

“You’re from the Slayer line? This is an honour, a real honour.” The shopkeeper babbled. “Come with me, ignore these. They’re for the tourists,” with that she pulled a bemused Spike and Buffy through a heavy silk curtain and into a veritable treasure trove. And that was where she found it, her ring, the perfect ring. All hers. Buffy wondered if she could be any happier or spoiled?

“Pretty thing, innit?” Spike’s soft whisper pulled her thoughts back from the incense filled room and the Titanaria musical voice blessing the ring that she was wearing.

“I love it,” Buffy stood on her tip toes and tenderly kissed the tip of his nose.

“S’good that you have it,” Spike gave her shy boyish grin and rocked on his heels.

“I still can’t believe it belonged to a Slayer,” Buffy eyed the Deco style ring. A flat square cut diamond set with a surrounding of smaller diamonds in a pave style. It was sleek and smooth, safe for her to wear patrolling. “Did you see her fight?”

“Nope, wasn’t in London in the 30s, the Slayer was there for a good few years and then moved onto Paris before she was, well…you know.” Spike stared at a spot above her head.

A frown line wrinkled her forehead, “I know, but Annabelle seems to have lived a lot longer than other Slayers from what Titanaria said.”

“Yeah, seven years, not bad at all, but have to say the Slayer I know and love will definitely break that record. Mine for eternity, right?”

“Yours, all yours Spike, for as long as we have together.” Buffy smiled up at him. “Can I ask you something?”

“Anything,” he waited, wondering what sort of bombshell she was about to launch now.

“Did you know Titanaria was a Slayer fan?”

“Had heard her kind were lore keepers and collectors of Slayer memorabilia,” Spike smirked.

Buffy nodded, “I figured as much, am kinda impressed with the thoughtfulness that is you.” She wrapped an arm around his waist and gave him a rib creaking hug.

“Got me a good discount and she was a bit generous with the engagement gifts wasn’t she?”

“The trunk full of Slayer stuff? Yeah. But I think the cash you ‘borrowed’ from Angel’s safe helped a lot.” She still couldn’t believe Angel had used the same code he had done for the last two centuries. ‘Kinda asking for it wasn’t he?’

Spike grinned and began to walk down the corridor escorting Buffy to her Watcher’s room, mentally thanking the gods that Peaches was an old stick in the mud. The transferring of much needed funds from Angelus’s long abandoned accounts hadn’t been as tricky as he’d thought. He’d managed the calls while Buffy was busy yelling at Whistler and Kendra in the courtyard of the Hyperion, getting to help out with the Nibblet and Mum. He felt a lot better knowing that money wouldn’t be a problem, as all his favours were being used up making the gym and loft apartment a home for the two of them. Things were looking rosy on the domestic front, now all they had to do was sort out the Black Hats and fix Rupes. Spike shook his head wishing it could be that easy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Moooom! I’m bored!”

Joyce sighed and rubbed her temples. She was tired, scared and wanted to go home; this place smelled strange and her two guardians were starting to get on her nerves. They bickered constantly and if she didn’t know better then she would’ve thought they were a married couple. But somehow the stern faced girl who’d been a Slayer gave the impression of being an Amazon, chaste and untouchable, Joyce grinned at the thought of what the girl would say if she suggested the marriage idea.

“Mom, this place sucks, can you believe it – they don’t even have any books to read!” Dawn appeared in front of her long suffering mother and flopped down next to her on the bed, resting her head against Joyce’s shoulder. “I wish I wasn’t this thing that put everyone in danger, then we could be at home and not here in weirdsville.” In a small voice she added, “I’m sorry, mommy.”

Joyce wrapped her arms around Dawn. “Oh honey, you can’t think that way. Everything will be okay, I promise.” She was still surprised at how calmly Dawn was reacting to the inadvertent revelation of her being a mystical Key. Joyce figured it was because she had been told and not left in the dark to discover it for herself.

“But Giles and Tara,” Dawn sighed. She tried to swallow the sick guilty feelings but was failing. She hated that she was the reason that they were hurting and that everyone was scrambling to protect her, but a weeny part of her was kind of stoked that she was a mystical thing. She had always wanted to be a Slayer or something supernatural ever since she’d found out about Buffy’s calling and then met everyone who was demoney or vampy but nope, she’d ended up being the boring brat sister. Now it turns out she was a magical Key, which was awesome. She was so glad that they had told her and not treated her like a mushroom.

“No, don’t think that,” Joyce’s voiced was filled with iron. She was beginning to wonder what the hell was up with her family genes – first creating Buffy and now Dawn. Part of her was proud, but mainly she was terrified someone would come take her Pumpkinbelly off and hurt her. “Are you okay about all this honey?”

Dawn thought for a moment and then nodded, “I think so, it’s kinda weird being told that up until a while ago I wasn’t real. But everything I remember, and everyone else remembers, feels real to me. It’s strange but I guess it’s okay. If I freak later once the adrenaline wears off you won’t get mad with me will you?”

Joyce chuckled and hugged her, secretly amazed at how bravely Dawn was handling everything, she expected tantrums and hysterics, but after the initial meltdown – nothing. “I won’t, pinky swear.” The two of them hooked their fingers together and shook their hands from side to side.

“You two okay?” Whistler appeared through the archway with his hands thrust in his pockets.

“Been better,” Dawn groused with a small smile to show she was teasing.

“I know, kiddo, sucks being here and the Powers ain’t that good with mod cons. But, hey, it’s safe and you’re protected.” Whistler glanced over his shoulder and glared at the fuming Kendra. “I know – okay woman, I’ll go ask.” With that he disappeared in a shimmer of light. The faint words of demanding Slayers being the death of him echoed around the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You know, love, I still can’t get my noggin around the fact you got the Powers to protect Dawn.” Spike shook his head and looked down at Buffy’s upturned face.

“Well, it’s not like Angel could do it anymore, Mr Drainstodust!”

“Wot? He owed a Blood Debt, he knew what was coming,” Spike shrugged.

“But, Spike, his fangs fell out cos his gums receded, that was plain icky!” Buffy made gagging noises at the memory of the last sight she had of Angel, slurping blood through a straw, the tentative smile he’d given her revealing the black gaps in his teeth made her want to puke all over his bedspread. Though on reflection she might’ve added some colour to the monotonous colour scheme.

“Yeah, I know, he looked good did’n he?” Smug just oozed over those words as Spike coughed to suppress a laugh that sounded suspiciously like a giggle. His hand slipped into his pocket to check that Angel’s fangs where still there; he’d nicked them when no one was looking and was planning to have them bronzed and mounted. A mini trophy to wind up the old poof.

Buffy eyed him with a small smile, “You realise you are weird, right?” She rubbed her cheek against his shoulder affectionately, resembling a contented cat for a brief moment.

“And?”

“Nuthing,” Buffy shook her head and pressed the button for the lift.

“But you love me for it, right?”

“Course I do, Spikey,” she purred.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sire?”

“Hush, leave me to think.” Dracula waved a hand at Marushka dismissively and stared off into space, in deep thought. Time was running out and things were coming to a head in a way he had not foreseen. He had only one of his women left, a Childe handed over to the Aurelian Clan and a demented goddess who was determined to drag the world into Hell to damn them all even more. She was the bane of his existence, the original accord had been one of pragmatic necessity and now, with his losses and the strain to sustain her sanity exhausting him, the Elder vampire was beginning to wonder whether he’d backed the wrong horse.

He knew should support her endeavours more wholeheartedly – he was evil after all, but he liked his unlife the way it was. The bargain had initially been struck due to pragmatism and a need for survival – yet now, he was not so sure. As Glory’s dementia escalated and her attempts to source her ‘Key’ failed at every turn, the Master Vampire was beginning to realise that he may have been too hasty falling in with her. His losses were mounting and he could see no light at the end of the tunnel. He knew he could create more Brides to replace those lost and then he would be complete, so why did he have to pitch the world into Hades? Drac’s lean face broke into a smile, he glanced over at the slumped form chained to the foot of his bed, she was a prize beauty and he was patiently waiting for her to wake up so they could play some more before he turned her into one of his Brides. He needed a distraction from the puzzle of Glory, and a good long fuck would be a tension release.

Her long legs were sprawled at awkward angles; cuts and grazes scabbed over, his mouth watered at the memory of the taste of her blood. A virgin at her age, in this day and era, it had been surprising and refreshing, as well as being convenient as it meant he could mould her sexual tastes to mesh with his. Something that he was savouring, he loved it when he managed to wring out an orgasm from her abused body, as she screamed and wept for mercy, for a pause in the hellish pain.

“So, my pretty lamb, are you ready for more soon?” He rose, his lean body muscled and painted with dabs of her blood. His cock hung heavy and was crimson, he’d torn her hymen with little regard to her pleasure, and he was keeping the stains of her innocence on his cock for as long as he could. A paean to her torn purity, he ran the tip of his index finger along his budding erection and then lapped delicately at it, savouring the taste of sex and blood - his favourite combination. Dracula squatted down next to the slumped form and ran an impersonal hand over her stomach and breasts, checking their weight in the palm of his hand. His thumb brushing over the still bleeding nipple of her right breast, the gold pins he’d inserted gleamed dully through the clotted blood.

“Still sleeping? Oh well – let me see what I can do to wake you my pretty one,” he wrapped his hand in her once sleek brown hair which had hung over her battered face, and twisted her head back.

Then she screamed.

A long despairing cry for help and pity that went unanswered.

“There you are, now come, come little one, let’s get you more comfortable.” He lifted her shaking body, flipped her over and laid her face down on the bed, her arms stretched as she lay face down on the mattress facing the end of the bed, and the mirror he’d placed there so she could watch everything he did to her body.

“Please, please, please, don’t…no more hurting please, I’ll be good don’t hurt me…” she pleaded to no avail. Her pretty face twisted into a mask of pain and terror, her horrified eyes staring into the mirror at herself and her phantom rapist. The Master Vampire knelt next to her, his hand still fisted in her hair, the other busy mapping out the soft quivering curves of her backside.

Dracula laughed.

“Oh, my dear, once I have finished you will be begging me to hurt you just a little bit more.” With that he pushed her legs apart and with no preparation took her final virginity with a series of harsh thrusts that tore at her rectum and made the screams pitch higher and higher as the blood he drew from her torn passage coated his cock and helped him to penetrate her tightness.

He sank his fangs into the nape of her neck, to hold her still, to illustrate his dominance over her like a wolf, and then his hips began to move.

“What beautiful music your screams are, call out some more, I need to hear you.” He crooned maliciously as he hips hammered into her, his hand slid under her shaking body and caught hold of her abused breasts and with a fluid motion he pulled her upwards as he rose to his knees. Her arms now stretched taut, muscles burning and tearing under the pressure, her fingernails embedded into the palms of her hands from the pain of her torture and rape.

“Look at yourself, writhing on my cock as I take you,” he ordered. His fingers tearing her hair from her already tender scalp and his other hand twisting at her nipples, neither being left alone for long, he wanted her bleeding and alert.

“Open your eyes or I will carve your face off,” he whispered silkily into her ear, his cock never slowing in its rape of her. Blood coated their thighs and dripped slowly onto the already stained silk sheets. He inhaled deeply, enjoying the scents of blood and fear that filled the chamber. Her body was lax and her breasts shuddered with each slam of his hips. Dracula sank his fangs into her throat and sipped delicately for a moment before turning her head slightly so he could rake his incisors over her cheek, splitting the skin.

“Smile for me, Samantha, smile for your Master.” The captured soldier could do nothing but stare sightlessly into the mirror, wishing she had never come the Hellmouth for a look around whilst she had been on break from special ops training. She’d go past lamenting her lost virginity, something she’d been saving for her wedding night, now all that was left was to give in and let it be over.

The soon to be ex-army girl sighed and closed her eyes, anything to avoid looking at her broken and beaten body. She began to pray for her eternal soul, she knew what was coming.

It would be over soon.

And when she woke – she wouldn’t care anymore.

~~~~~~~~

She shook.

“Come on pet, he’ll be waiting for you.” Spike placed a calming hand in the small of her back. They stared at the closed door, Buffy was filled with nerves knowing that Giles lay on the other side. She didn’t want to see her Watcher pale and weak with tubes sticking in him. He was supposed to be the one who was strong and standing over her, glasses in hand making with the research and support.

“Buffy?”

Buffy whirled to face the familiar voice. “Willow?”

The two girls flew into each other’s arms. Both of them weeping and exclaiming their joy and excitement at seeing each other again. Spike thrust his hands in his pockets and watched the reunion with a small smile, his eyes busy scanning the corridor for danger. He was on high alert after the latest disaster that struck them. He frowned for a moment, a flicker of movement in the shadows was brief and then a young man strode out of them. He was dressed in scrubs, floppy brown hair and oozing earnestness; it put Spike’s hackles up on end.

“Pet, got a nosey parker.”

Buffy reluctantly let go of Willow, she grabbed hold of one hand and held onto her friend as she stared at the newcomer. He smelled weird but seemed kinda cute in a bland sort of way. “Hello?”

“Hi, I’m one of the Interns helping with Mr Giles, are you his niece Buffy?” Ben thrust out a hand, all too aware who she was. He’d seen her bruised and battered body chained to the wall in Drac’s chambers but Glory had pushed in and taken over his body before he could save the petite girl. Guilt assailed him. ‘Mark up another victim that I couldn’t save,’ he thought grimly.

“Umm,” Buffy stared dubiously at Willow, looking for confirmation to the whole niece thing.

The redhead nodded briskly, “Oh yeah, this is Giles’s niece, yuppers this is Buffy.” Her babbling was a familiar sound and managed to bring a smile curving to Buffy’s lips.

“Nice to meet you,” Ben let a neutral expression fall over his face as he gestured to the door. “Go on in, it’s a private ward, so no stupid rules about visiting. If you need me or have any questions I’ll be at the desk over there.” He pointed to the other end of the corridor and with a quick nod he left, skirting past Spike and trying to not react to the seething warning growl.

“Spike,” Buffy raised her brows in warning, “less with the grrr argh!” She exclaimed, raising her fingers to her mouth in an approximation of fangs.

“Sorry, but he was a ponce, something off about that one.” He rubbed the back of his head in thought for a second, aware that both girls were staring at him expectantly, waiting for him to explain himself, but he couldn’t. “Must be lack of kip and all,” he shrugged, his eyes straying to the figure of the doctor.

Buffy loosened her death grip on Willow’s hand and smiled apologetically at her. “Sorry for the finger ouchies.”

Willow stretched out her cramped fingers and shook her head at Buffy. “S’okay, after the hug and rib creakage what’s a few broken fingers,” she teased. Her face lit up with good humour, the lines of stress fading away.

“Pet, come on, Rupes is waking up.” Spike jerked his head to the closed door. His heightened senses picking up on the increased sounds of breathing and the slight speeding up of the older man’s heartbeat through the shut door. He could hear the soft inhalations of Glinda under the beeps and static noise of the machines that the Watcher was hooked up too. “Red – Glinda’s in there too? Thought it was a private ward…” he trailed off, confused at the broad smile on Willow’s face.

“Tara’s in there, she’s fine, I managed to fix her.” She babbled as she pulled Buffy into the room. Ignoring the muttered protests and dragging feet of her friend, Willow figured unless one of them dragged her in there Buffy would still be standing outside when Giles checked himself out.

“Tara’s okay?” Relief flooded Buffy, all the guilt over leaving them both vulnerable and exposed to attack lessened by half. Now all she had to do was face Giles. ‘Oh god he looks so old…’

“Christ,” Spike wiped his hand over his mouth. His eyes riveted to the slumped form of the Watcher. Every visible inch of his skin was covered in bruising, but what was worse was the contraption they had him immobilised in. It looked like a torture rack of some sort. Unconsciously he stepped up beside Buffy, pressing against her side in silent support.

“Buffy…Spike…so good to…” Giles faltered, the energy expended inhaling to speak had drained him. Instead he gave a wane smile, lines of pain bracketing his mouth, his bloodless lips pressed in a firm line. The air tubes hooked into his nostrils slipped slightly, Buffy stared at Tara’s hand as she slipped it back into place. He couldn’t turn his head or move, not even if he wanted too, his body was being held immobile by steel and wires.

“Oh god, Giles, what did I do…” Buffy squeaked, tears falling unnoticed as she moved closer and gently ran a finger over his lax hand. She was terrified of putting any pressure on his battered skin and her touch was feather light as her hand shook. She looked up at Tara anguished, “Tara, I’m so sorry for leaving you both.”

“Buffy, don’t, we all knew the risks and figured that Glory wouldn’t attack in broad daylight, it’s not your fault, it’s no one’s fault but Glory’s.” Tara’s voice was firm and brooked no dispute; she shook her head when Buffy opened her mouth to speak. “Giles and I will not put up with this!”

“Christ, Rupes, the sods did a good job on you, looks like you’re on the rack,” Spike slipped an arm around Buffy’s waist to hold her up, offering silent support with a gentle squeeze. “You okay, Glinda?” he added, accepting the slight nod from Tara with a faint sigh of relief.

Giles coughed, humour twinkling in his eyes, “Hurts – like a sod,” he wheezed, sweat appearing in his hairline at the effort of speaking.

“Hush, Mr Giles, you need to keep still and rest,” Tara reached over and gently mopped his brow. “Willow, can you do anything?” she appealed to her lover. Willow nodded and stepped around the bed to stand next to Tara. Raising her hands she began to mutter under her breath, invoking Aesculapius, Tara’s soft voice joined in and the two Wiccans began to chant louder. Small sparks of light began to fly off the tips of their fingers, their hands held over Giles’s immobile body. A pale yellow glow began to envelope the supine body of their mentor and friend.

“Pet, run interference, I can hear a nurse coming,” Spike jerked his head towards the door, his blue eyes never leaving the bed. There was something off about Red, her powers smelled okay but there was a whiff of something different about the girl and he was curious. Also, he figured Buffy’s diplomatic skills where better than his; he would’ve slammed the door shut in the biddy’s face with a snarl. Unlike his girl who’d pushed the nurse backwards by stepping through the door and was doing her best impersonation of a Valley Girl. He could almost hear her twirling her hair through her fingers as she chattered away like a Blue Jay.

“Spike?” Giles called out, his voice a bit stronger. Spike shook his head and refocused his attention on the bed and the Wiccan chanting.

“Rupes?”

“I feel all warm and tingly,” Giles giggled, the euphoria from the healing magicks, together with the doses of painkillers he’d been given, combined into a high that he’d not experienced since the Seventies.

“Good to know mate, just keep your warm and tinglies under the sheets, don’t want to shock the socks of the girlies now, do you?”

“Nope, they – ah, ow…might never survive the shock!” Giles joked as he slid into a deep healing sleep.

“Sheesh, last thing I wanna see is Giles’s bits and pieces,” Willow shook her hands letting her wrists relax as Tara giggled in agreement.

“All done?” Buffy breezed back in, letting the door slam shut on the nurse as she sailed over to Spike’s side and snuggled up against him.

“For now, he’ll feel better soon.” Willow sank down tiredly on a chair and rested her chin on her hand.

Spike grunted as he reached over for the chart and began to flip through it. His face darkening at the notes scrawled on it. “Balls…”

“What?” Buffy peeked over the clipboard trying to squint at whatever had upset Spike, her heart in his mouth.

“Red, you know about this? Glinda?” Spike asked, his voice pitched low and deep, worry thickening his already pronounced accent.

Willow ducked her head, unable to look Buffy in the eyes. Leaving Tara to be the one to break the awful news, she was not able to raise her head despite Tara’s sympathetic touch.

“Buffy – I…I…I’m sorry,” Tara stumbled over the words unable to hurt her friend by telling her Giles’s fate.

“S’alright, Glinda,” Spike gestured for her to be quiet. He turned and took Buffy’s shaking hands in his and gripped them tightly offering reassurance.

“Looks like the docs think that Giles won’t be able to walk anytime soon. That bint managed to break his back and, well, his legs…”

Buffy jerked as if she’d been hit with a bolt of lightening and then collapsed into his arms in a dead faint. Not hearing Spike’s final words.

“He’s paralysed, poor sod. Paralysed…”
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=4069