Buffy the Vampire by Ashlee
Summary: Buffy's a vampire and Spike's the slayer... with a few twists.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Action
Warnings: Violence, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 37385 Read: 55099 Published: 09/12/2004 Updated: 10/05/2004

1. Chance Meeting by Ashlee

2. Discovery by Ashlee

3. Answers by Ashlee

4. Acquaintances by Ashlee

5. Getting to Know You by Ashlee

6. Reminiscing by Ashlee

7. Denial by Ashlee

8. Office Romance by Ashlee

9. Flirting with Disaster by Ashlee

10. Conflicting Interests by Ashlee

11. Consuming Passion by Ashlee

12. New Arrival by Ashlee

13. Jealousy by Ashlee

14. Betrayal by Ashlee

15. Old Friends by Ashlee

16. Conversations by Ashlee

17. Forever by Ashlee

18. Surprises by Ashlee

19. Waiting it Out by Ashlee

20. Plan B by Ashlee

21. Home Again by Ashlee

22. Rescue by Ashlee

23. Final Confrontation by Ashlee

24. Together Forever by Ashlee

Chance Meeting by Ashlee
Buffy the Vampire


Prologue - Chance Meeting



A/N For the purposes of this story, vampire slayers can be both male and female. Also, the events of “Angel” didn’t occur as they did in the series. All will be explained soon.


Sitting and surveying the crowd in the Bronze on the busy Friday night, Spike Bradley tried to listen to his friend, Charles Gunn, telling his girlfriend Winifred Burkle about a band that would be playing there on the following night. Fred, for her part, was trying to look interested.

“Whoa, man.”

Turning to look at his friend, Spike gave him a confused look at the sudden exclamation.

“Check out the hottie at the bar.”

Smirking when his friend’s comment got him a smack on the shoulder, Spike turned his attention to the bar, raising an eyebrow at the young woman he saw sitting by herself. His gaze traveled up the length of her toned legs, admiring the way her skirt slipped higher as she shifted on one of the barstools. Her long-sleeved shirt had a deep V-neck in the front that exposed her cleavage
generously. Watching, almost mesmerized, as the girl tossed her long, golden blonde hair over one shoulder, revealing an attractive face with a seemingly bored expression, Spike felt his pulse quicken as he continued to stare at her.

“You should go ask her to dance.”

Finally tearing his gaze away, Spike turned to glower at his friend. “Need I remind you, mate, that you’re not the only one with a girlfriend.”

“How could we forget,” Gunn muttered to Fred, who tried to restrain a giggle, earning them both another glare from their friend.

“Aw, come on, Spike,” Fred jumped in. “Cecily’s not even here tonight, and one little dance won’t hurt. It’s not like you have to get out and start slaying anytime soon.”

“Maybe later,” he replied, seemingly disinterested. In actuality, he found himself drawn to the girl but fought against it.

At 21, Spike had been the Slayer for four years. He’d been shocked when he was called at 17, but not as shocked as his Watcher, who had made no secret of the fact that he was assigned to Spike because he was an older potential, thus no chance of him ever becoming the actual Slayer.

A year after he was called, Spike decided leave his home in London to attend college in America, with the Watcher’s Council pushing for him to go to UCSunnydale since it was conveniently located on the Hellmouth. His first week at school, he met Gunn and Fred. At the same time, he inadvertently staked a vampire in front of them, earning him the nickname of Spike from Gunn, who had been fighting vamps for several years.

“Hey, Spike,” Fred spoke up. “Your mystery girl is leaving.”

Spinning around to face the bar, he saw the girl pay off her tab and stand up. Before he knew what he was doing, Spike was out of his seat and standing behind her as she turned around.

“Leaving so soon, love? I was kind of hoping you’d do me the honor of a dance,” he said, offering his hand as her expressive hazel eyes sized him up.

“That sounds nice,” she said with a smile, letting him lead her out to the dance floor.

Pulling her into his arms and subtly swaying to the slow music, Spike had different sensations coursing through his body- the adrenaline he usually got when he was patrolling as well as a sense of comfort and understanding of the woman in his arms. As he pulled her closer, his shoulders nearly slumped.

‘Damn,’ he thought. ‘Why do all the hot ones always have to be undead?’

Taking a deep breath as they continued to move around the floor, Spike resisted the urge to lower his head, wanting nothing more than to brush his lips over her shoulder. After a few minutes, the song ended, and he looked down at her with an unreadable expression. “Care to take a walk, pet?”

“Fine with me. I’d like the chance to talk to you.”

With his hand splayed across her back, Spike led her towards the door of the Bronze, passing his table and grabbing his duster in one fluid motion as he gave his friends a look. Gunn nodded, and he and Fred began gathering their things.

Leading her outside, Spike waited until the door closed behind him, before taking a quick scan of the alley, seeing that they were alone. As she turned to face him, Spike landed a punch to her jaw, sending her flying into the brick wall, bracing her hand against it before swinging around to face him. Seeing the shock briefly cross her face before counter-attacking, the two fluidly traded blows as the door swung open again with Gunn charging out to aid his friend before skidding to a stop, with Fred running into his back. The couple by the door watched the two fight with such perfection- it looked choreographed. As the girl managed to get some distance from Spike, she flipped her hair behind her eyes.

“Will you just hold on a minute!”

“Let me think- you’re a vampire, I’m a Slayer, I think I’ve got it down to a science by now. Don’t need a break, thanks,” Spike replied as he advanced on her.

“Yeah, you’re the Slayer, but you know what? You’re an idiot.”

This caused him to pause as he studied her, slipping a hand in the pocket of his duster. “Who are you?”
“Oh, now you wanna know about me? After you worked out your aggression?”
“You know what? My mistake. I forgot- I’m not supposed to listen to the drivel that you vamps spout off.” With lightening quick speed, Spike pulled the hand out of his pocket, holding an open vial of holy water, and flung it at the woman. He watched as she hissed in pain and backed away, holding her burning cheek. Unsure of whether she was backing away from him or trying to get away from the pain, he tried to keep an impassive expression on his face.

“You know, I was wrong about you,” she said, her voice laced with pain.

Raising an eyebrow, he slowly tilted his head. “And, pray tell, what you were wrong about?”

“I thought you’d understand.”

Spike was thoroughly confused now. “Understand what the hell you are?”

“Something like that.”

“Let’s have a lesson then,” he said softly.

“Do you do research?” she asked.

“What kind of soddin’ question is that?”

“A simple one. Do you do research?”

Giving her a confused look, she rolled her eyes.

“Okay, maybe I should just stop with the questions since they seem to be a little too complicated for you. Why don’t you run along and ask your Watcher something?”

“And what would that be, pet?”

“Summers…comma…Buffy. Look it up.”

Before Spike could blink, she was out of sight, leaving Gunn and Fred to walk up behind him.

“Man, what the hell was that about?”

“Bloody hell, I don’t know, but I’m damn well going to find out.”
Discovery by Ashlee
Chapter 1 - Discovery


Standing on his Watcher’s doorstep less than half an hour later, incessantly ringing his doorbell, Spike impatiently began knocking on the wooden surface. When the door finally opened to reveal a very disgruntled man in a bathrobe, he had to suppress a grin. Pushing his way into the house instead, and headed for the living room.

“William, I hope there is a valid reason for you to be visiting me at this ungodly hour.”

“It’s not even midnight. Aren’t all you Watchers supposed to be night owls like your Slayers?”

“That’s a common misconception,” he said in a tired voice.

"Oh well. To answer your question, yes, there is a valid reason for me to be here. I need to know everything you know about Buffy Summers.”

His Watcher froze, his eyes widening in shock as he stared at the young man. “Buffy Summers?”

“Yeah, Wes. Come on, I know you have to know about her.”

Wesley Wyndham-Pryce surveyed his Slayer for a moment before hesitantly nodding. “Indeed. Why do you want to know?”

“I met this girl. She hinted that she knew her or maybe she was her. Not quite sure,” Spike replied with a shrug.

“William,” Wesley began as he sat down, folding his hands in front of him. “What did this woman look like?”

“I don’t know…younger than me, long blonde hair, tiny little scrap of a thing who nearly kicked my ass, by the way. Oh, and she was a vampire.”

“Impossible,” the older man said, shaking his head.

“That’s why I’m here, Wes. I’ve heard of her, but I don’t remember the details. She died before I was even a teenager. It’s not like I paid much attention to the cycle of Slayers before I became one. Who was she?”

“She was…she was arguably the greatest Slayer to ever live, saving the world from at least six apocalypses and numerous other feats. She died at the hands of the Master, only to be revived by a friend, but not before the activation of another Slayer. She then killed the Master, fought in hand to hand combat with Angelus numerous times, sending him to Hell in the process.”

“But Angelus is living in L.A. Who would think it was the ninth circle of Hell,” Spike said with a smirk.

“He was brought back. Presumably by the Powers That Be,” Wesley continued, ignoring the young man. “Do you remember what I told you about his soul?”

“The whole 'perfect happiness' mumbo jumbo? Yeah, I got the gist of it. Someone was able to re-ensoul him.”

“Yes…that someone was a friend of Buffy’s who has since turned into a very powerful witch. Year’s passed, and Buffy thwarted each of her enemies, one by one. The mayor’s Ascension, a human-demon hybrid, creatures called the Gentlemen. She was successful with each encounter, until the Hell God Glorificus came along.”

“Searching for the Key,” Spike filled in, nodding in remembrance.

“Yes, Buffy’s sister. Buffy could have let her sister die that night, but instead, she sacrificed herself to save the world yet again, throwing herself off a tower to close a Hell dimension. That was about nine years ago.”

Spike nodded. “And her death activated Faith?”

“No, her presence as the Slayer had already activated another. When the other slayer died, Faith was called-”

“And when Faith died, I was called. So who the hell is this girl I met?”

“I honestly don’t know, but I feel you better find out.”

“Yep,” he said, rising from the couch. “I’m on it.”

Heading out the door, Spike missed the unusual look on his Watcher’s face as he walked out into the night.
Answers by Ashlee
Chapter 2 - Answers


Wandering through Sunnydale for over an hour, Spike never even caught a glimpse of the woman he was searching for. Walking past Restfield Cemetery, he briefly slowed down, hearing the distinct sound of fighting in the distance.

Breaking out into a run, he rounded the corner of a mausoleum to see a woman in the distance, fighting another vampire. Seeing that she was easily holding her own, Spike stopped and admired her form as she fought with a grace he’d never witnessed. Knowing that his own fighting style was more street-fighting with a little kickboxing thrown in, this girl was amazing in her precision. She had changed into a pair of red leather pants and a black turtleneck sweater, her long hair flying behind her with every spinning kick. Staring as she easily staked the vamp and turned her attention to him, tucking the stake into the waistband of her pants.

“So, I guess you asked your Watcher,” she said with a slight smile.

“Who are you?” he asked, narrowing his eyes to watch her.

“You mean you don’t know?” she asked, raising an eyebrow in amusement.

“I know who Buffy Summers was. I asked who you are.”

“Well, then, that’s convenient since Buffy and I are one and the same,” she said with a slight smile.

“Buffy died almost a decade ago, and it wasn’t a vamp attack. So I’m thinking that you’re fresh out of options. Now…who are you?”

“Let me guess,” she said, approaching him, only to turn away and wander around him in a slow circle. “You heard about the Master, the first death, and Angelus. I’m guessing you even caught a little bit about the mayor and Adam. And then there was Glory and the Key. You heard all about the big sacrifice, but,” she paused as she came to a stop in front of him. “You didn’t hear about her third death.”

“I’ve heard enough.”

“No,” she said, shaking her head with an amused smile on her face. “You’ve heard the Cliff’s Notes version. You don’t know the details. You don’t know how I felt powerless against the Master until after he killed me. And I’m willing to bet that you weren’t told that Angel and I were lovers and that was the trigger that turned him into Angelus. Did you hear about the Slayer that you replaced?”

“Faith.”

“Yeah,” she replied, her tone softening as her eyes misted over. “What do you know about her?”

“She was good. Not the best, but she held her own. Couldn’t resist the pull to the darker side of slaying, and the line blurred between what was right and wrong. Turned herself in and served her time to be let out six years ago. Two years after that, she was killed in an ambush.”

Watching as the woman’s eyes glimmered with tears, he frowned when she looked down, hiding her face from his gaze.

“She shouldn’t have gone alone,” she whispered.

“What?”

Her eyes snapped up to his, suddenly remembering where she was and who she was talking to. “You don’t even believe I’m me. Why will you believe anything I tell you?”

“Why don’t you tell me yourself and let me draw my own conclusions?”

“Fair enough,” she said softly, nodding her acceptance. “Faith and I…we were two halves of the spectrum. Darkness and light. So similar, and yet, completely different at the same time. She felt overshadowed by me, and that’s what led to her joining forces with the mayor. That led to a lot of things, all of the bad persuasion. Not the least of which was when she poisoned Angel. Only the blood of a Slayer could cure him, and I was determined to give him a cure. I went to Faith’s apartment…we fought…and I ended up putting her in a coma. I…cured…Angel by myself, and Faith stayed in the coma for nine months. When she woke up, she was angry. With a lot of help, I managed to defeat the mayor, and that meant I had killed her surrogate father. To make a long…a little less long, we battled it out, she did some things that I thought unforgivable at the time, and she left for L.A.”

“End of story?” Spike asked, knowing that she was leaving out a good portion of the story, since she hadn’t explained anything about Faith’s death.

“No,” she said softly. “Angel was there at the time, living in L.A., and he wanted to help her. I disagreed, but eventually, it didn’t matter what we decided because Faith turned herself in. She was let out on probation after five years, and I went to L.A. to see if we could reconcile some of our differences. Turns out, the years had matured us both, and we grew to be the sisters that our lineage called for. Two years after she was released, we were supposed to meet at a factory that had a nest of vamps. Faith got there early and went in alone…like she was always big on doing and…I was too late. I got there in time to hold her hand as she died…then I hunted down each and every vamp, and they were met with a very painful and dusty ending.”

Spike noticed the tears building up in her eyes by the end of the story, trying not to think of how this woman was affecting him. “If you’re Buffy, how are you here? You jumped from that tower nine years ago.”

“Yeah, here’s the part that isn’t in your history book…or more accurately, Watcher’s Diaries. My Watcher never revealed that I came back. He didn’t want the Council getting any ideas in their twisted little heads about experiments or anything like that. I have a friend who’s a witch-”

“The one who re-ensouled Angelus?”

Buffy eyes snapped up to his at the question. “Yeah. She thought my essence was caught in a Hell dimension, so she decided I should be brought back. My friends…they…they worked a spell on me, and, presto, Buffy’s back. What they didn’t know was that I wasn’t in a Hell dimension…I was happy. I think…I think that they pulled me out of heaven.”

Pausing as she looked at the ground, Buffy tried to gather her thoughts, not wanting to make eye contact with the man in front of her. “I was only back for a few days when I got a call from Angel. He wanted to see me. We met at a little rundown place halfway between Sunnydale and Los Angeles. What I didn’t know is that when he heard that I was back, he was happy. Perfectly happy in fact…I wasn’t met with the man I loved…I was met with the thing that hates me.”

Suddenly feeling the urge to take her into his arms as the tears streamed down her face, Spike barely refrained as she continued, “I was missing for a week, and everyone was getting worried. Angelus had turned me before I even knew what was happening. He has an uncanny way of portraying his opposite personality…no matter which one it is. I was chained and tortured for almost a week before my friends figured out what was going on. Willow managed to work the spell again, and Angel has one more thing to add to the list of what Angelus did that he feels sorry for.”

“You don’t blame him?”

“It wasn’t him,” she said softly, looking down at the ground with a slight shrug that conveyed how much she hated the situation she was put in. “I know that now. I’m a 29 year old woman stuck in the body of a 20 year old. I’m not the same naïve little girl that I used to be.”

“But, if you were turned, why would he torture you? Wouldn’t he want you to be alive for that part?”

Cringing at the reference to her undead status, Buffy took a deep breath. “That’s why he did it. Angelus never got to kill or turn a Slayer…he never knew that we make completely different vampires. One of the major factors was the fact that I kept my soul. Angelus thinks souls are filthy since he’s been saddled with one for over a hundred years. Mine was disgusting to him, considering I’m now considered his childe. It’s an embarrassment to the demon in him. He felt I needed to be punished for having it.”

“You said one of the factors…what are the others?”

“Nothing much, really,” she said with a shrug. “I’m a little bit stronger than I used to be. My face doesn’t change like other vamps.”

“Why not?” Spike asked, looking at her in confusion.

“I guess the Powers wanted me to stay pretty while I slayed,” she said with a grin.

Smirking at her response, he slowly looked her up and down. “So you’re stuck in that body for all eternity?”

“Yep, till the end of the world, or I meet a dusty ending because someone doesn’t want to hear what I have to say,” she said, giving Spike a pointed look.

“Yeah, sorry ‘bout that, love. I have to call ‘em as I see ‘em. If I’d have known, I never would have thrown the first punch…or the holy water, come to think of it,” he said with a sheepish look.

“I know. I remember how it was. I didn’t believe Angel at first either, so I guess I can let you off the hook,” she replied, hopping up to sit on a tombstone. “Besides, already healed.” She gestured to her formerly burned cheek, hoping to alleviate a little bit of his guilt.

“So why were you looking for me?”

“I thought you could use some help. I’ve been gone for a few years, and I decided to come back to the Hellmouth and keep on fighting the good fight.”

“You have family here?”

“No,” she said, looking down at her hands. “My mom died a few years ago, and my sister is living in New York. I’ve been out there with her for a while, but I felt like I was cramping her style. It’s kinda hard for her to be 24 and expect people to believe that I’m the older sibling.”

“Your dad?”

“I don’t even know if he’s alive. Haven’t heard from him in over ten years.”

“What about Angel?” Something about Spike saying that name made him feel sick. He didn’t want to think about what it meant.

“Angel’s still in L.A. I drop in for a visit from time to time, but he has his own life, too. His soul was anchored by the Powers a few years ago- kind of a reward for all the good he’s done.”

“So why aren’t you with him?” he asked, tightening his jaw as he tilted his head to look at her. “If you’re the one who gives him perfect happiness, wouldn’t he want to spend all of eternity with you?”

“Maybe,” she said with a nod. “But he’s in love with someone else. He also feels guilty about all the things he did to me after I was turned, so he usually avoids me like the plague.”

Spike suddenly felt very sorry for this woman. It seemed everyone she ever cared about left her.

“Your Watcher?”

“He moved back to England after I died…the second time,” she clarified with a smile. “I see him a few times a year. He has his own life, too.”

“Seems like everyone has their own life except you, pet,” he said, coming to lean next to where she was sitting.

“This is my life,” she said solemnly, looking down at her hands. “The Slayer’s destined to be alone…it took me a while, but I’ve figured that much out.”

“Buffy,” Spike said softly as he moved to stand in front of her. With a finger under her chin, he tilted her head up to look him in the eyes, feeling a connection pass through him as he looked into the eyes of someone who had the potential to understand everything about him. “You’re not alone. You’re not the only Slayer.”

Feeling tears spring to her eyes at his soft admission, Buff unconsciously leaned closer to his full lips, Spike dropped his hand to each side of her waist as he moved to close the distance between them. A second before their lips met, Spike’s cell phone began incessantly ringing, causing them to guiltily jump apart. Practically jerking the phone out of his pocket, he angrily flipped it open.

“Hello,” he said with more malice than he intended.

“Spike! Where the hell are you!? Do you realize it’s almost two in the morning, and you were supposed to call me!”

“Cecily, calm down. I’m still out patrolling…lots of vamps out tonight.” Out of the corner of his eye, Spike saw Buffy hop down from her seat and begin to walk away. Catching her by the arm, he shook his head, silently asking her not to go anywhere.

Listening as Spike tried to calm his nagging girlfriend- knowing that it could only be a girlfriend, the way that whiny voice sounded to Buffy’s ears- she took a few steps away. Cursing her vampire hearing for the first time, wanting to soothe her wounded eardrums, she closed her eyes to ward off the headache that seemed to be forming.

‘Who would have thought that vampires could get headaches,’ she thought with a slight smile. ‘Considering I haven’t had one in almost ten years.’

Turning to face the blonde as he snapped the phone shut, he offered her a sheepish smile. “Sorry ‘bout that.”

“No problem,” she said with false cheeriness. “So, my suggestion is, if you’re comfortable with it, is that we start patrolling together.”

Frowning at the sudden change in her voice, he didn’t want her to think he was ignoring the almost-kiss they had, but if she wanted to talk shop, he could do that. “Sounds good. I’ll probably need you to work a few things out with my Watcher, but it’ll be okay. He owns a little occult bookstore on Main Street. You want to meet there tomorrow at sunset?”

“I’ll see you then.”

Watching appreciatively as she walked away, Spike raised an eyebrow at her retreating form. This was going to be a very interesting development.
Acquaintances by Ashlee
Chapter 3 – Acquaintances


Planning to get to Wesley’s store earlier than usual the following night, Spike wanted to let his Watcher know that the woman he met was Buffy and she would be patrolling with him from now on. As it was, though, he was running late and ended up meeting Buffy at the front door, waiting for him.

“Hello, Goldilocks,” he said with an easy smile.

“Hey,” she said with a shy smile, glancing down at the ground for a moment.

“Didn’t go in yet?”

“No, I thought I’d wait on you. I don’t really feel like an attempted staking right now, and I figured that was less likely to happen if you were with me.”

Spike had to smile at that. “I think you could hold your own, love.”

“Yeah, but I wouldn’t want to hurt your Watcher in the process,” she said, offering him a bright smile as he held the door open for her.

Walking into the quaint store, Buffy stared in amazement. Though it wasn’t the same location, it was almost identical to the Magic Box. There were more shelves lined up throughout the store and fewer magic products, but the layout and the similarities were striking.

“Something wrong?”

Shaking her head as she turned to face the other Slayer, she tried to push away the old memories. “No…just déjà vu, I guess.”

Nodding as he looked at her for a moment, Spike turned to look at the door of the back room as it opened. “Ah, there’s Watcher boy.”

Walking through the door way, Wesley suddenly froze, looking at the couple standing next to the counter. When he spoke, his voice was a strangled whisper. “It is you.”

Looking perplexed as he stared at his Watcher and then turned to face an equally stunned Buffy, Spike’s eyes narrowed in confusion.

“Wes?” she whispered. “Is that you?”

“Buffy?”

Before either Spike or Wesley knew what happened, a blonde blur practically flew into Wesley’s arms. “I can’t believe it’s you,” she whispered, her voice muffled by his shirt as she hugged the older man.

Feeling an absurd surge of jealousy Spike stared at his Watcher hugging the young woman. “Someone wanna tell me what’s going on?” he asked with an edge to his tone.

Pulling away from Wes with a sheepish expression, she slowly turned toward Spike. “Wes was my Watcher…well…kind of.”

Staring at her in disbelief for a moment, Spike turned to level Wesley with an angry look. “And you didn’t see it fit to tell me this last night?”

“William, it wasn’t important. I told you what I knew about her- I just didn’t tell you I knew her.”

“Looks to me like you knew her pretty well,” he countered with a raised eyebrow.

“Not like that, Spike,” Buffy said with annoyance clear in her voice before turning to face Wesley. “Actually, I was a spoiled brat to him. You could say it was hate at first sight,” she added with a fond smile.

“Yes, thank you for that, Buffy,” Wesley said.

“Sorry,” she said, looking slightly embarrassed.

“Well, you seem to have gotten over your hate quite nicely,” Spike continued, still not giving them the benefit of the doubt.
“Well, we didn’t exactly part on the best of terms,” she said, turning to face Wes. “I thought I probably got you fired.”

“Um, no, probation. The Watcher’s Council felt that since I couldn’t control you or Faith, I could get one of the older potentials to train after a five-year waiting period. Imagine their surprise when he was the potential who was called.”

“So let me get this straight,” Spike said, ignoring the most recent part of the conversation as he tried to figure out their complicated past. “You hated each other, Buffy got you fired, and you meet years later like long lost family?”

“Yeah…sorry about the big displayage of emotion,” Buffy said. “It was just wonderful to see a familiar face after so long of not seeing anyone but Dawnie.”

“Yes, well, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious as to why and how you’re here.”

“Oh, that.” Buffy waved her hand in dismissal. “You have all your facts right if you read Giles’ journals. But if you want the shorter version of a long boring story, Willow decided to bring me back. Pretty soon after, I got vamped by Angelus, Willow restored his soul, and as for me-”

“Slayer’s are supposed to have anchored souls,” Wes cut off in understanding. “Extraordinary.”

“Yep, that’s pretty much it, in a nutshell. Spike can fill you in on all the details.”

“So you’re still the Slayer, I presume.”

“Well, I still do the job, if that’s what you’re asking,” she said, glancing over at Spike. “But if you want to get technical, Spike is the Slayer.”

Offering her a grateful smile for the acknowledgement, he quickly returned the favor. “I think it’s safe to say you’re the original, love. But we should probably be heading out of here. Just stopped by to tell you we’d be patrolling together,” he said to Wes.

“Yes, well, strength in numbers and all. You both be careful, and Buffy, I would like to speak to you in more detail about what you’ve been up to for the past few years.”

“Sure thing, Wes. You’re looking good, by the way,” she said, taking in his scruffier appearance.

“Ah…yes, well…” he trailed off in embarrassment.

“Same old Wes,” she said with a smile before grabbing Spike’s sleeve. “Come on, blondie, we’ve got some vamps calling our names.”
Getting to Know You by Ashlee
Chapter 4 – Getting to Know You


Patrolling in silence for several minutes, Spike finally spoke, “So, you almost got my Watcher fired?”

Glancing over at him in surprise, Buffy slowly nodded. “Yeah…I, uh, I quit the Council. After Faith poisoned Angel, the council refused to help, and it really pissed me off, so I quit.”

“And you two didn’t get along back then?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

“My Watcher was fired after Quentin Travers felt he saw me as a daughter,” Buffy said with a sigh. “Wesley was brought in to take his place and train both me and Faith…we both resented each other. He tried to order me around, being a new guy to the job, but I’d been the Slayer for over three years- I wasn’t going to take orders. I kept going to Giles with problems, and Wes wasn’t too happy about it.”

“When was this?”

“My senior year of high school. Right before the Mayor’s ascension.”

“So he was there? Wes was there for that?”

“I think so…I was a little busy with blowing up the school.”

“You blew up the school?” he asked with a smirk.

“Well, it wasn’t my fault,” Buffy said indignantly. “I mean, am I to blame if there was a giant demon snake trying to eat the entire senior class? I saw a way to stop it, and I did it.” Spike saw the smile pulling at her lips. “Besides, the symbolism of the act was too much to pass up.”

Laughing together as they headed through the cemetery, Buffy put a hand on his chest as she stopped walking.

“Vamps,” she whispered. “A lot of them, up there behind the mausoleum.”

“I don’t hear anything, love,” he said, quietly.

Buffy pointed to her ear. “Vamp hearing. I can pick up on just about anything. You take the left, and I’ll go right.”

Each pulled stakes from their respective hiding places and advanced on the group. Glancing around the corner, Buffy saw seven vamps surrounding a terrified couple. Seeing Spike out of the corner of her eye, she gave a tight nod as they both moved forward. Each Slayer staked a vampire before the rest of the group noticed them. Angrily turning on them, Buffy recognized three of them from a fight she’d had a few nights ago. She had been fighting alone and barely managed to get away from them. Standing her ground as the leader of the group stepped closer to her, she repressed the cringe when he stepped into her comfort zone.

“Well, looky what we have here. If it isn’t the brave little Slayer,” he said before turning to look at Spike. “And it looks like she brought us a treat.”

Spike merely smirked, keeping a close eye on Buffy, while simultaneously readying himself for the fight.

“And I get this pretty one as my own treat,” the leader continued in what he must have thought was a seductive voice.

Buffy felt the need to gag. “Can’t you vamps ever think of anything else? I mean, I get that you probably haven’t gotten any in a while, what with all the skin problems and everything, but really, you need to work on your pick up lines.”

Not giving him a chance to think, she landed a high kick to his face before spinning and knocking one of his minions down. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Spike holding his own against the vamp that came after him. Buffy felt a flash of panic as the four that remained formed a circle around her. Whipping a stake from the back of her shirt, she threw it to land squarely in the chest of one attacker. Kicking another away from her, she saw that he quickly lost interest in her and ran over to aid his comrade who was battling Spike.

Throwing a series of kicks and punches at another vampire, Buffy quickly staked him, only to feel herself be thrown backward, landing against a tombstone with a thud as she dropped her stake. Her face contorted when she felt the pain shooting through her lower back. Opening her eyes as the leader grabbed her arms and smashed her between his overly large body and the headstone, Buffy shoved at his chest with what little strength hadn’t been lost in her fall. “No! NO!”

At her frantic cries, Spike looked up from the vamp he had staked and saw Buffy struggling with the overbearing leader. Jumping up and quickly staking the last of the group, Spike swiftly made his way over to Buffy.

“Looks like I may get some after all,” the vampire said.

Flinching at the image that popped into his head, Spike thrust the stake into the vamp’s heart. “Doesn’t look like it, mate,” he said, smiling as the dust exploded and settled around him. Letting his eyes fall to a terrified Slayer, he watched as Buffy pushed herself up and wiped the dust from her clothes. “You alright, love?”

“Fine,” she said, sounding anything but fine. “Thanks for that,” she continued, gesturing to the ashes on the ground.

“No problem, pet,” he said, looking worriedly at her. “You sure you’re okay?”

“Spike, I’m fine,” she cried, whirling around to face him, trying to hide the emotion on her face. “I just don’t like feeling like a victim is all. It’s not my nature…or yours either, so it’s a little unsettling.”

“I get that. Just seems like there’s something else that may be bothering you.”

“There’s not,” she said in a low voice.

“Alright then. What do you say we blow off some steam?”

“What did you have in mind?” she asked, relaxing a little more now that the topic was dropped.

“I was thinking we’d head to the Bronze.”

“What are we waiting for?” she said with a smile, letting her shoulders slump in relief. “Let’s get outta here.”
Reminiscing by Ashlee
Chapter 5 – Reminiscing


Entering the Bronze, Buffy let the familiarity wash over her. Memories of a simpler time when she and Willow and Xander would hang out and dance- Buffy longed for those times. She longed for the days when all she had to worry about was studying and slaying. She died in a manner, she thought, befitting a Slayer, only to be dragged back into this earth and cursed to fight forever.

Catching the wistful look on her face, Spike gently put his hand on the small of her back, leading her through the club. Buffy smiled softly, trying to repress the shiver that ran through her at his touch. It had been a long time since she had let herself get within close proximity of a man. Not since Angelus, posing as Angel, had wrapped her in a hug, only to turn it into a deathly embrace and lead to a torturous week. Her smile faded as the depressing memories overshadowed the better ones. Before she became too immersed in her thoughts, a nasal voice had the attention of everyone in the club.

“Spike!”

“Bloody hell,” Spike muttered under his breath. Buffy smiled when she heard the phrase before turning her attention to a brunette stalking toward them. The woman had curls falling past her shoulders and a conceited demeanor that Buffy could tell before the woman had even spoken to her.

“What the hell are you doing here? And with her?” she asked, gesturing angrily at Buffy.

“Cecily, we were just patrolling together.”

“Oh, you were,” she commented. “Well, why is she good enough to take, but I’m not?”

“Ease up, princess,” Buffy spoke up. “I’ve been doing this for a lot of years.”

“Oh, you have,” she said, turning her attention to Buffy. “I’m so sure you have, little girl.”

“Listen, lady, I’m far from a little girl, and I can hold my own in any fight.”

“Oh, I’m sure you can, little one,” Cecily said in a snobbish tone.

“You really don’t want to know what I’m capable of,” Buffy said. She had never wished for a game-face before, but she would have loved to have seen the look on her snooty face if she had been able to flash one. “Why don’t you take your nose out of the air, pull that silver spoon out of your mouth, turn around, and head back to your table?” Turning to an awestruck Spike, Buffy gestured with her hand. “I’ll be at the bar.”

Stalking past a gaping Cecily, she made her way to the bar and took a seat. She could already hear the screeching of the indignant woman as she ordered a drink.

“Nice show.”

Turning to face the owner of the voice, Buffy recognized the attractive black man from the night before. “Glad you liked it,” she said with a smile.

“It’s about time someone put the Countess in her place. Lord knows he won’t do it,” he said, gesturing to Spike with his beer bottle.

“The Countess, that’s a good one,” she said with a laugh as she turned to face him. “You saw the fight last night. I’ve gotta ask, why aren’t you trying to stake me right now?”

“You came in with Spike,” he said with a shrug. “I figured if you were a problem, he would have taken care of it already. Why? Should I be nervous?” he asked, smiling.

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “That doesn’t tell me why you’re voluntarily talking to me. I mean, just because I won’t kill you doesn’t mean I won’t hurt you.”

“I can hold my own.”

“Good to know,” she said softly.

“I’m Gunn, by the way.”

“Nice to meet you,” she said, shaking his hand with a smile.

“So, what’s your story? I mean, I pretty much figured out you’re a vamp, what with your aversion to holy water and all.”

Buffy nodded as she looked at the bar surface. “Ever heard of the vampire with a soul complex?”

“Yeah. Vamp out in L.A. Fightin’ the good fight and all that, but that one’s a man.”

“Let’s just say I’m a relative,” she said, glancing at him to gauge his reaction.

“Okay,” Gunn said with a slight shrug. “So why are you here?”

“I thought Spike could use some help. It’s always good to have back-up.”

“And that’s what you are?”

“Something like that,” she replied with a nod.

“Well,” Gunn said. “Always good to have another member of the gang.”

“Scooby gang,” Buffy whispered, a smile playing on her lips as she stared at the surface of the bar, remembering even more from years earlier.

“Did you just say something?”

“Oh…no,” she said, snapping out of her thought and quickly shaking her head.

“How’d you know where to find the Slayer?”

“Hellmouth,” Buffy said with a slight smile. “It seems to draw a lot of people and creatures. I used to live here, figured the new Slayer was here, too.”

“New? Spike’s been the Slayer for over four years.”

“Yeah…I know. I just didn’t want to find him yet.”

“You knew Faith?”

Buffy’s head snapped up at the statement. “How do you know about her?”

“Spike mentioned her in passing. Just that she was the one he replaced. My girlfriend Fred, she helps his Watcher out with a lot of things and told me about a lot of the Slayers. So, did you really know Buffy Summers?”

Smiling as she stared into her drink, she slowly nodded. “Yep. We were real close.”

“So you were there the night she died?”

“More or less,” Buffy replied, never meeting his eyes.

“That must have been rough,” he said with a sympathetic look.

“Oh yeah,” she said with a slight smile. Looking up to check on Spike, she frowned when she didn’t see him anywhere.

“If you’re looking for Spike, he’s probably outside with what’s her name, trying to calm her down,” Gunn said, glancing around the club.

“You don’t like her?” Buffy asked, looking over at him with a smile, growing to like this man even more.

“Hell no! That woman was born with a stick up her ass.”

“Yeah, I noticed,” she replied with a laugh.

“You should be proud. No one’s ever put her in her place the way you did. I’m sure it shocked the hell out of her to have someone actually look down on her for a change.”

“Yeah, well, I’ve learned that there are more things to be afraid of than a spoiled heiress.”

“I get that.”

“You’ve been fighting a long time?” she asked.

“Since I was in high school. Figured someone had to do something.”

“Nice to know some people still know what’s right,” Buffy said. “Speaking of which, I better get back out there. It was nice meeting you, Gunn.” Leaving some money on the bar as she walked away, she heard his voice behind her.

“Yeah, you, too…hey, I never caught your name.”

Glancing at him over her shoulder, she offered him a bright smile. “It’s Buffy.”

Walking out of the club, she left a very perplexed Gunn behind her.
Denial by Ashlee
Chapter 6 – Denial


Wandering around Sunnydale for over an hour, Buffy slowly walked toward the end of the docks, staring out at the black water. Memories rushed back to her as she hugged her arms around her torso. There were still times when she felt like a scared, lost little girl. There were times when she wished for her mother to be here with her, much like she did that fateful night- the night that was supposed to be her last on this earth.

She had come to terms with having to live forever. What she would never get used to was the idea of seeing every person she cared about get old and die. Well, everyone except Angel, who couldn’t stand the sight of her because of all the memories of what he had done.

Buffy had already started to distance herself from her friends. It wasn’t like it was a hard thing to do. Xander and Anya were now married with a baby, living in Colorado, where Xander owned a construction company. Willow and Tara were living in Chicago but seemed to change locations every two years. Giles was back in England, and Dawnie was in New York.

In the past five years, Dawn and Giles were the only two she had seen. Buffy knew she was being a bad friend, but she also knew everyone had their own lives now. They weren’t as concerned with things that go bump in the night. They still cared about it, but it wasn’t their lives anymore. It was for the current Slayer to worry about, as unfair as that seemed. They had put in their time, and for most of those involved, the time was a lot longer than the average Slayer.

Buffy’s train of thought quickly went to Spike. She was attracted to him- who wouldn’t be? She had seen him at the Bronze the night before and was discreetly sizing him up for the best way to approach him. She had been thrilled when he’d asked her to dance, but knew that nothing could come of it.

He was the Slayer.

She would be lying if she ignored the fact that the almost-kiss made her tremble with excitement, but he had a girlfriend, and Buffy had to keep her distance. Not because she cared about the uptight snob that Spike was dating, but because he would be one more person she would have to say good-bye to.

So lost in thought, Buffy never heard the footsteps coming down the dock.

“Thinking about anything interesting?”

Immediately spinning around and extending her leg for a powerful kick, Buffy was shocked when it was stopped. Looking up into Spike’s bright blue eyes, she glanced down at her leg, which was currently cradled by his arms.

“Impressive kick, pet, but I saw you lead into it,” he said with an annoyingly cute smirk.

Jerking her leg out of his grasp, she took a few steps away, needing her distance from the man in front of her. “Nice reflexes.”

“Not too bad yourself, Slayer.”

“Slayer?” she asked, looking at him skeptically. “Won’t that get a little confusing since there’s two of us?”

“Don’t think so. Besides, you’re cute when you get all flustered by whatever pet name I call you,” he said, taking a step toward her. “Actually,” he continued as he rested his hands on her hips. “You’re cute all the time.”

Feeling her mouth go dry at the close proximity, she took a deep breath to settle her nerves. “Women actually fall for that line?”

“Not usually,” he whispered, slowly closing the distance between them. “But there’s a first time for everything.”

Unconsciously wetting her lips when he moved toward her, she closed her eyes when his lips gently caressed hers in the softest kiss. Not having a chance to deepen the kiss, Spike’s cell phone began ringing.

“Bloody hell!” he yelled, jerking away from Buffy and pulling the phone out of his pocket. “Gonna throw this soddin’ thing in the ocean. What?!” he yelled into the mobile.

Buffy would have laughed if she hadn’t been busy kicking herself. She had just told herself not to get involved, and here she was, nearly kissing him in the moonlight. Turning to face the water as Spike turned off the phone.

“Sorry about that.”

“We can’t keep doing this, Spike.”

“Buffy, I know I have a girlfriend, but…”

“It’s not that,” she said, shaking her head as she turned around. “You just met me. You’re the Slayer, and I know how difficult that can be, but I also know what it’s like to get involved with someone you can never be with.”

“And I can never be with you? Why don’t you enlighten me on this new piece of information?”

“Spike, I’m a vampire. Granted, not the most conventional of vampires, but I still have an aversion to sunlight and drink blood for meals. You need a sense of normalcy in your life, and I’m not it.”

“I’ll never have a normal life, love.”

Shaking her head as the memories of a time so long ago came rushed back to her. The memory of Angel breaking up with her, of him telling her they could never be together, of him walking away after the battle on graduation day. “Spike, trust me when I say it’s better if it doesn’t even begin. There would be nothing but pain and heartache, and I don’t want that for you.”

“You’re thinking about your ex-boy toy, aren’t you?” he asked incredulously. “You think history would be repeating itself if you and I so much as kissed each other?”

“What do you mean? H-how do you know about me and Angel? The only thing I told you was the trigger for him losing his soul.”

“Yeah. I did a little reading when we parted ways last night. Seems your Watcher kept quite a few records of you and Angelus.”

“It’s Angel,” she said through gritted teeth, feeling her temper spiraling out of control. “And you know, I am still alive- I could have answered your questions. You didn’t have to go behind my back and read up on me like I’m some type of research project.”

“But that’s the thing, isn’t it, Slayer?” he said, advancing on her angrily. “You’re not alive.”

Feeling the weight of the words as he said them, she felt her heart constrict in her chest. She knew she wasn’t alive, but she still felt like it. Everyday, she longed to get up and go out into the sun. She wanted to be able to go shopping with her friends at the mall or go to the beach and watch the sunset, but she couldn’t. She would never be able to again.

The instant he said it, Spike felt remorseful. She had hurt him when she said they could never be together, and he wanted to hurt her back. Now, looking at the crestfallen look on her face, he reached a hand out to her. “Buffy, love, I’m-”

“Don’t,” she said softly, holding up a hand. Shaking her head as she began to walk away, leaving Spike standing on the end of the dock. “Just don’t.”
Office Romance by Ashlee
Chapter 7 – Office Romance


Buffy didn’t leave her apartment for several nights. She and Dawn had sold their house on Revello and put the money in a savings account. Dawn had insisted Buffy keep the money, knowing she would need something to fall back on in the years to come. When Buffy had moved back to Sunnydale, she found a comfortable home in Giles’ old complex.

Knowing she was being a coward by not going out and facing Spike, she just couldn’t work up the courage to see him. She knew that no one knew she was back in town, and therefore, didn’t know her address to get in touch with her. The only people who had her phone number were Dawn and the old gang.

Buffy didn’t hold it against Spike for trying to hurt her- she knew she’d hurt his feelings when she blew him off before anything started. Avoiding him because she didn’t want to get close seemed like the easiest plan. Still angry that he had read the Watcher Diaries, even though she would have told him whatever he wanted to know, she also knew that she would have done the same thing if she’d been in his position. Hell, she had done it when she wanted to see the type of girls Angel used to like.

A mass of contradictory statements were flying through her mind, and Buffy felt as if she was being pulled in a million directions. She thought about leaving town, sparing herself the heartache before it had a chance to manifest, but knew that it wouldn’t help anything.

For every situation Buffy thought of, she always came back to the fact that she had told Spike, Wesley, and Gunn that she would be helping out with slaying. Standing up from her spot on the couch, she pulled on a thick white turtleneck and her favorite pair of jeans. Substituting moisturizer and lip gloss for her make-up, Buffy grabbed two stakes. Stashing one in the side of her boot and another in the waistband of her jeans, she headed out.

Just because she told Spike she would help him patrol didn’t mean she had to be with him when she made the rounds. Deciding to make a quick pass through the cemeteries and head home, Buffy could at least feel useful, since she hadn’t done anything productive in three days. Passing through the first cemetery, she came across a demon and made quick work of it.

As Buffy passed through another cemetery, she could hear voices up ahead. Slowing her pace, she waited silently as the two figures came into view. Relaxing her stance when she saw Gunn and his girlfriend, she started to move in the opposite direction.

“Buffy! Hey, wait up!”

With a sigh, she slowly turned around to face the couple jogging toward her.

“Damn, girl. Where’ve you been? Spike’s been worried about you,” Gunn said. “Oh, by the way, this is Fred. Fred, this is Buffy.”

“Hi! It’s nice to meet you,” the girl said with a bright smile.

“You, too,” Buffy responded with false cheerfulness.

“So, where’ve you been?” he asked again.

“Oh…around,” she said vaguely, avoiding their eyes as she busied herself with flipping her stake over in her hands as if she was checking it’s sharpness.

“Well, Spike’s here somewhere. Told us to go on ahead while he finished off a new vamp.”

Swallowing as she raised her eyes to his, Buffy slowly nodded, staying silent.

Frowning a little, Gunn noticed the difference in her compared to the other night. He had gotten the full story from Spike. Actually, he got it without asking about her. This girl was all Spike could talk about the last few days, which Gunn found refreshing compared to Cecily.

“You okay, Buff?”

“Oh, I’m fine. Just not really feeling like myself lately, that’s all.”

“Well, you should definitely wait for Spike,” Fred spoke up. “He thought something had happened to you.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly. “I’ve gotta finish my sweep, so…um…just tell him I’ll see him later, okay?”

“Sure,” Gunn said skeptically as Buffy quickly walked away. He knew that Spike had some kind of argument with the other Slayer, but he didn’t know the details. He and Fred stayed where they were as they waited for Spike to catch up to them. A few minutes later, they saw him rounding the corner of a crypt.

“Hey, Spike! You just missed your girl,” he called out to him.

“My girl?” Spike asked in confusion.

“Yeah,” Fred said. “Buffy just came by, said to tell you she’d see you later.”

“Buffy was here?” he asked, his voice took on a slightly frantic edge. “Which way did she go?”

Gunn and Fred didn’t say a word. They simply pointed in the right direction and smiled when Spike took off in a full run.

* * * * *

Buffy was easily dispatching a group of three vampires when she felt Spike approach. Connecting a high kick to one of the vamps, she spun and thrust her stake into the one advancing on her from behind. Never slowing down, she turned as the dust settled and slammed the stake into another dead heart. Hearing the fighting over her shoulder, she turned to see Spike finishing off the third vampire and turning to face her as she tucked her stake back in her waistband.

“Long time no see, love,” he said nonchalantly.

“Just a few days.”

“Hiding from me?”

Glaring at him as she stared into his infuriatingly striking eyes, Buffy spun on her heel, making her way out of the cemetery when she felt Spike following.

“Oh, come on, Slayer, you can’t still be mad at me.”

“No,” she said, shaking her head. “Not mad at you. Just ignoring you.”

“Buffy, don’t act like this. I thought we were getting along, before I shoved my foot in my mouth.”

“That’s just it, Spike,” she said, whirling around to face him. “We were getting along a little too well. I’ve had two office romances. Two, Spike, and let me tell you, they never work out!”

“Buffy, you’re not even giving it a shot…and what do you mean two?”

“Didn’t do as much research as you thought. And why should I give it a shot?” she asked, throwing her arms in the air. “You have a girlfriend, so why don’t you run along and spend time with your little princess?”

“You know what? Maybe I will, Slayer,” he said angrily. “Maybe I should spend time with someone who has a beating heart.”

Shaking her head while a smile played on her lips she replied, “Oh, I never said she had a heart, Spike. But who am I to tell you who to date?”

Gritting his teeth and looking up into the cool night sky as Buffy turned and walked away, Spike took a deep breath. “Bloody hell,” he muttered as he chased after her. “Buffy, wait! Don’t do this, pet. I’m sorry, okay? I said it. I am sorry. Come on, Slayer, I like patrolling with you. Don’t get all mad because we both have quick tempers.”

Turning to look at the man in front of her, Buffy contemplated him for a moment before nodding. “Okay, we patrol…but, that’s it, buddy,” she said, poking a finger into his chest.

Biting his lip, Spike raised an eyebrow. “Don’t tell me. You’re the one who can’t keep her hands off me,” he said with a smile, looking down at her hand.

Nearly growling as she threw her hands up in the air. “You are infuriating, you know that?”

“That’s part of my charm,” he replied, hopping up onto a headstone.

“If that’s your charm, I actually feel sorry for your girlfriend,” she said with a slight smile.

“Hey!” Spike cried indignantly. “I resent that!”

“I didn’t ask,” Buffy said, raising an eyebrow at him.

“And she says I’m the infuriating one,” he muttered under his breath. Buffy laughed as she heard it.

“Just for the record, Spike, I have excellent hearing,” she said as she sauntered off.

Watching appreciatively as her hips swayed back and forth, he hopped down from his seat and set off after her.

After a few minutes of walking in a comfortable silence, Buffy finally spoke. “Seriously, Spike, what do you see in that woman?”

“Cecily? Well…we’ve been together for years. Ever since I moved here actually.”

“Do you love her?” she asked, not sure if she wanted to know the answer.

“I used to,” he said softly. “I haven’t felt that way in a long time.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well…if you have to question your love for somebody, doesn’t that mean there’s something lacking? If you fantasize about spending time with another woman, no matter what form that time is spent, rather than fantasizing about your girlfriend, I think that creates a problem.”

Ducking her head to hide the flush in her cheeks, Spike smiled when he noticed the gesture. “She’s stuck with me. She knows I’m the Slayer, and she accepts it, for the most part. Not a lot of people can handle this line of work.”

“Yeah,” she agreed quietly. “I know.”

“So what about you?”

“What about me…what?”

“I got some of the story of what went on between you and the poofter-”

“Angel,” Buffy corrected with a smile.

“Right. Anyway, what happened there?”

Staying quiet for a minute, thinking about her response, Buffy took a deep breath. “I loved him. We…advanced our relationship, he turned evil, I killed him, he came back.”

“I got more details than that from reading up on it, Goldilocks,” Spike said with a raised eyebrow. “What about after?”

”Not much to tell. We realized we couldn’t be together, and he left town.”

“Do you still love him?”

“Always…but I’m not in love with him anymore. He’s like a member of the family. I care about him like I care about my sister.”

“You’d die for him.”

It was more of a statement than a question. Buffy knew he was thinking of when she protected Dawn and sacrificed herself to save her.

“I nearly did,” she said softly as the events of her healing Angel flashed through her mind. “I’d do it again, but there isn’t a lot I wouldn’t do these days.”

Spike looked at Buffy perplexed. “What’s that supposed to mean, Slayer?”

Taking a deep, unneeded breath, Buffy replied, “It means that I would protect someone I care about…no matter what the price.”

“You’re looking for a way out.”

“What?”

“You have a death wish.”

“I wouldn’t call it that,” Buffy said, beginning to get irritated.

“Then what would you bloody call it?” he asked as his voice began raising in volume.

“Why are you getting so mad at me? You don’t even know me!”

“I know enough, Buffy. I know you don’t want to be in this world-”

“No! That’s where you’re wrong, Spike. I don’t mind being in this world…I just don’t want to be alone in this world. Because that’s what it comes down to, Spike. I’ll always be alone. No matter what, no matter how many people I save, inevitably someday, they’ll be gone. But not me,” she said, shaking her head. “I’ll still be here.”

Feeling a strange mix of anger and sadness flood through him, he tilted his head to look at her for a moment, narrowing his eyes. “So why not end it?” he asked, the anger winning out.

Buffy’s eyes snapped up to his. “Because I may be a lot of things, but I’m not a coward.”

Thinking about her answer for a moment, Spike nodded, suddenly getting a new sense of respect for the woman in front of him. “You’re anything but that, love.”
Flirting with Disaster by Ashlee
Chapter 8 – Flirting with Disaster


The next few days passed uneventfully. Buffy paid another visit to Wesley and filled him in on the details he was wondering about. She and Spike patrolled at night, competing against each other to see who could stake the most vamps. Buffy got to know Fred and Gunn a little bit better and was delighted in how much Spike’s friends resembled the Scoobies. Gunn was nothing like Xander, but he was fun to be around. Fred had a more quiet demeanor and was remarkably like Willow when it came to studying.

That night, Buffy and Spike were patrolling, except it was more like they were walking through the streets of Sunnydale and talking. Their friendly staking competition was abandoned for the night as she told him all about her friends and Giles. Spike almost had tears running down his face at Buffy’s description of the Wesley she had known.

“You mean to tell me that my Watcher was a ponce?” he asked, clutching his stomach as he tried to stop laughing.

“If ponce means frightened, nervous, anxious guy, then yeah, that was him,” she said with a smile.

Trying to imagine the resilient man who had trained him as someone who timidly hesitated to get into a fight, Spike shook his head with a smile. The Wesley he knew did not match up to the clean shaven, perfectly-attired young man that Buffy had known.

“He wasn’t all bad,” she continued. “I realized that much when he came back and wanted to fight the Mayor with the rest of us. He could have gone running back to England with his tail between his legs, but he stayed. He knew what was right. I never told him, but that got my respect. I always did feel kind of bad for thinking I got him fired. Of course, that wasn’t enough to make me return to the Council.”

“Yeah, they definitely don’t like an opinionated Slayer.”

“You know Travers?”

“Met him a couple of times. He retired last year, and now it’s some new guy named Nigel Grant.”

“Nigel? That name sounds familiar. Might have been the one I threw a sword at,” she said softly, smiling when she saw Spike’s expression of disbelief. “Long story. Anyway, it’s about time Travers retired. He’s pushing seventy. He was way too focused on the way the Council used to work and didn’t pay enough attention to what was going on around him.”

“Yeah, I gathered that much from the few conversations we had. It was pretty much, ‘Be a good boy and do as you’re told’.”

“That sounds about right.”

The pair walked in silence for a few more minutes, coming to a stop in front of the swing set in the park. Buffy turned around and sat down on one of the swings as she looked up at Spike. “So what about you? Had any apocalypses I should know about?”

“Just one. I don’t know if it’s up to apocalypse standards like you’re used to. A bunch of vamps and demons using some magic to open up the Hellmouth.”

“That’s never any fun,” Buffy said with a grimace on her face.

“They were easy enough to stop. Definitely no stories like the ones you have. You’re pretty much a legend as far as Slayers go.”

Laughing as she pushed off the ground to send her swing flying into the air, Buffy pumped her legs to get her higher, shaking her head. “A legend, huh? So that explains why you never heard of me.”

“I’d heard of you, pet,” Spike said, walking around to push her from behind. “I just didn’t pay attention to details.”

“Sounds familiar,” she said, thinking of all the lectures Giles gave her. The two relaxed as Spike pushed Buffy at a relaxed pace. Coming to a stop a few minutes later, he glanced up at the sky and sighed.

“I hate to cut out early, love. I made a promise to see someone tonight.”

“Translation-your girlfriend is mad at you for spending so much time with another woman and wants you to come over for some quality time.”

“That about sums it up, Slayer.”

“No big. I’ll make another pass, and then I’m on my way home.”

“Buffy, I don’t like you patrolling alone,” he said with an overprotective edge to his voice.

“Spike, I’ve been doing this for longer than I can remember. I can take care of myself.”

“Oh, so that’s how you died three times.”

“Hey!” Buffy cried indignantly. “To be fair, I did call the shots one of those times.”

“That’s true,” he said with a grin.

“Still standing, aren’t I?” she grumbled, huffily crossing her arms over her chest and pouting.

Swallowing hard, Spike fought against the pull his body felt toward the woman in front of him. Wanting nothing more than to take her in his arms, he fidgeted nervously, shoving his hands in the pockets of his leather duster. “I, uh, I better go.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said quietly. “You probably should. You don’t want to be met with World War three when you get there.”

“No, definitely not. I’ll see you tomorrow, Summers.”

“Yeah…see you then.”

Slowly walking away, Spike felt the tumultuous feelings building inside of him. Every time he left Buffy, he felt like he was cheating on her by being with another woman. Never mind that the other woman was his girlfriend who he could hardly stand to be around anymore. With a soft groan, he hung his head as he made his way through the streets of Sunnydale. His life was a mess.
Conflicting Interests by Ashlee
Chapter 9 – Conflicting Interests


As the weeks went by, Buffy and Spike settled into a comfortable slaying relationship. The desire was still alive and well, but they had managed to maintain it. Knowing that Spike had feelings for her, Buffy did her best to ignore the growing affection she had for him, but she knew it would only get harder. She thought about going back to New York, telling him her sister needed, but she knew he wouldn’t take what she said at face value.

All kinds of scenarios fluttered through Buffy’s head as she stared up at the ceiling of her apartment one night. Spike had informed Wesley and Buffy that he needed a night off and Buffy had readily agreed but felt a little saddened by the fact that this was the first night in over a month that she wouldn’t be able to see him.

Thinking about patrolling for a moment, she decided against it, reasoning that she deserved a night out. She hadn’t gone out with the intention of having a good time since Dawnie had dragged her clubbing in New York, and even then, she’d just sat back and watched her sister have a fun.

“It can’t hurt to see if you’ve still got it, Buff,” she mumbled to herself as she searched through her closet. Pulling out a black leather mini-skirt and a red halter, she smiled. So what if it was from her high school days? She still looked pretty damn good. Quickly dressing and pulling on her shoes, Buffy ran a brush through her hair and headed out the door, not bothering to grab a coat since she couldn’t feel the cold anyway.

Walking into the Bronze a few minutes later, she smiled to herself as several pair of eyes focused on her. Surveying the club for a few minutes before heading out to the dance floor, she was immediately enveloped in a group of frat boys as she danced. Smiling seductively, Buffy swung her hips, enjoying the rush of feminine power when she felt their eyes staying riveted to her. As the song continued, one of the became more brazen and stepped up to Buffy from behind, wrapping his arms around her waist as he pulled her closer.

* * * * *

Entering the Bronze in an angry mood, Spike cracked his neck in irritation. After planning on spending the evening with Cecily, he’d left early when she kept going on and on about how she should be the one patrolling with him and spending time with him and not ‘that other girl.’ When her relentless nagging didn’t end after more than an hour, Spike left her house with his temper flaring, yelling at her that it was over.

Of course, she hadn’t agreed with him, but he really wasn’t concerned about what she thought.

Now, as he looked through the crowded club, he spotted a flash of blonde hair on the dance floor, Spike got a little closer and recognized Buffy. Looking harder, he saw her wrapped tightly in the meaty paws of an overgrown jock.

Stalking over to the dance floor, Spike made his way through the pack of men until he came to stand in front of Buffy. Without saying a word, he grabbed her wrist and proceeded to drag her out of the club. Barely getting a chance to gain her footing as Spike dragged her, she knew she could get out of his grip if she wanted to, but she also knew that it would probably end in a physical fight if she tried, considering the rigid hold that he had on her.

As Buffy was dragged out of the club, Spike turned to face her. “What the hell were you doing?!”

Staring at him incredulously, she felt as if she was getting yelled at for staying out past her curfew, causing her to return the anger. “What the hell did it look like?! I was dancing!”

“Being molested is more like it!”

“And just who the hell do you think you are? My father? If I want to dance, I’m allowed to. I don’t need your permission, Spike!” She practically spit out his name as she walked past him, only to be grabbed by the shoulders and shoved against the brick wall with a fuming Slayer in
front of her.

Tightening her lips as she stared into Spike’s eyes, she gritted her teeth together. “So, what are you gonna do, Spike? Hit me? Just because I danced with a guy, you feel the need to go all caveman on the helpless little girl?” Buffy looked into his burning eyes to gauge his reaction. “Well, I’ve got news for you, Spike. If I didn’t want him touching me, he wouldn’t have been. So if you’re going to start a fight with me, you may as well do it because I could have some plans for the rest of the night.”

Trying to rein in his temper as she said it, he felt his emotions careening out of control. Imagining another man touching her in any way nearly drove him over the edge. He lost all restraint whenever he thought about her and Angel being intimate with each other, and that was over a decade ago. Not thinking before he acted, Spike smashed his lips against hers in a brutal kiss.

Feeling as if she was being attacked when his tongue explored her mouth, his lips savagely claiming hers, Buffy began to struggle for power over the kiss. Spike’s arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer to him as he pushed his erection against her.

A thrill rushed through her as he ground his arousal against her. Buffy’s arms wrapped around his neck as the vicious elements of the kiss began to be replaced with more tender caresses of their lips. Pulling away after a few minutes, she seemed to snap back to her senses. Looking up into Spike’s eyes, she could still see the anger in them and pushed against his chest. With one last look, she walked down the alley, hearing the crack of something behind her. Not bothering to turn around, she knew that he just punched the brick wall.

Watching as Buffy walked away, Spike slammed his fist into the nearby wall when she turned the corner. Clenching his jaw, he stood there for a few minutes thinking of what he wanted to do. His rage was telling him to go find the guy who’d been groping the woman he wanted. His mind told him to go patrolling and take out his aggression on the vampire population. It was his desire that eventually won out.

“Bloody hell,” he muttered as he broke out into a jog to find Buffy. No matter what happened with her, it was bound to be an interesting night.
Consuming Passion by Ashlee
Chapter 10 – Consuming Passion


Jogging through Sunnydale, Spike tried to see which way Buffy had gone. Cutting through a graveyard, he heard fighting on the other side of a crypt. Walking around the corner, he watched appreciatively as the Slayer battled another vampire. Feeling his temper flare after a moment when Buffy was pinned underneath the larger vamp, Spike waited for a few seconds to see if she would get the upper hand before whipping out his stake and plunging it into her attackers back.

Ignoring the hand that she was offered, Buffy stood on her own. Wiping the dust from her clothes and not saying a word to him, she turned and began walking away.

“So that it, then? No ‘thank you’ for saving your life?”

Whirling around to face him, anger flashed in her eyes. “You didn’t save my life. I’m dead, remember? All you did was save me from getting another bite mark to add to my collection,” she said, pointing to her neck.

Noticing the pale scar that resided there, Spike felt even more anger swell inside him. “Angelus,” he said with venom in his voice.

“Not just him,” she replied, seemingly nonchalantly. “The Master, Angel, Dracula, then Angelus. Yep, Angel’s demon decided to claim me after he bit me. Oh, not because he wanted me. No, it was because the claiming bite is more painful, and that’s what he’s all about.”

“So you belong to him?” he asked, feeling as if he’d reached boiling point during Buffy’s tirade, nearly exploding when she stepped forward to look him squarely in the eyes.

“I belong to no one,” she whispered slowly.

Turning away from him, Buffy began to walk away, only to let out a soft cry when she felt her arm jerked and her body slammed into the side of the mausoleum.

“You belong to me,” he ground out, trailing kisses along the column of her neck.

“What are you? A vamp now? Sorry, baby, but you can’t claim me,” Buffy retorted in a slightly breathless whisper.

Before she knew what was happening, Spike grabbed her butt and lifted her higher against the wall. Hearing a zipper and feeling the material of her thong being ripped from her body, her fingernails dug into his shoulders.

“I’ll claim you,” Spike growled a second before thrusting into her. Gasping when he filled her, Buffy’s eyes widened at the sudden invasion, stretching her body in ways she hadn’t felt in years, before closing them and giving in to the feel of his assault on her. Holding her hips in place, Spike slammed into her again and again, excited by the fact that Buffy was taking all of
his strength and practically begging for more.

“God, you’re so wet, baby,” he moaned, pumping in and out of her.

Holding on with a bruising grip as he relentlessly pounded into her welcoming body, she trembled when Spike wrapped his muscular arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him. Twining her fingers through his hair as she threw her head back, losing herself in the ecstasy of the moment, Buffy tried to break his hold on her hips as she arched against him. Desperately needing to shove her body back against his, needing to feel the friction of their movements together, but she was surprised at the amount of strength he possessed.

Craving more contact, she pushed against him as hard as she could while he plunged back into her body. Pushing her feet against the wall he had her pinned against, Buffy looked down at him when they landed on the ground. Taking a deep breath, she blinked as she looked in his eyes before slowly rocking her hips against his.

Spike barely contemplated the change in positions as his hands trailed over her body, slipping his fingertips underneath her shirt to squeeze her soft breasts. Moaning when he ran the pad of his thumb over an aching nipple, Buffy increased her speed. Longing for release, she sat up straight, changing the angle of her body and gasping when she felt his hand slip down to her most sensitive spot, putting the barest pressure against her clit. Panting when she felt the first pulses of pleasure that coursed through her, Buffy gripped his shoulders, lost in the sensations.

“Oh, Spike! Don’t stop…please, don’t stop!”

Smiling when Buffy’s body hummed with her first orgasm, he increased his pace. “No intention of stopping, love,” he said in a husky whisper.

Watching as her climax took over, Spike knew that he wouldn’t be far behind, taking the opportunity to flip them over and pound into her again. Feeling him speed up his movements and thrusting in and out of her at a rapid pace, Buffy felt another climax closing in on her and gasped at the sensations it caused. Bucking wildly against him, she grabbed onto Spike’s back, trying to force him deeper, feeling herself lose complete control.

Pulling her arms away and loosely holding her wrists above her head, Spike shook his head. “Uh uh, pet. I’m the one in charge,” he whispered, lavishing kisses along her jaw.

Pleasure coursed through her from going against her nature and being in a more submissive role. Spike relentlessly thrust into her, slipping a hand to the swell of her butt and pulling her even closer to him. Feeling her body peak in climax, Buffy let out a scream of pleasure. Grinding himself into her a few more times before he felt the explosion of his own orgasm, Spike collapsed on top of her, listening as Buffy panted for some unneeded air while his strength slowly returned to him. Pushing himself up to rest on his elbows, he leaned down and gave Buffy a gentle kiss.

Jumping in shock when she felt the tender brush of his lips against hers, she stared at him with wide eyes. Considering the amount of damage they were trying to do to each other no more than a minute ago, she stayed where she was for a moment as Spike rolled to his side, zipping up his pants along the way.

Slowly standing up and straightening her clothes, she took a deep breath before walking away from him

“Where are you going?”

“Home,” she said softly, never making eye contact.

Spike was on his feet in an instant. “Did this not mean a soddin’ thing to you?”

“It did,” she whispered before turning watery eyes up to the man she was rapidly falling for. “And that’s why it can’t happen again.”

“And why is that?” he asked, the anger returning to his voice.

“Because I can’t let myself fall in love with you.”

Watching as Buffy turned and walked away from him, a look of despair on her face, Spike waited until she was out of sight before he smiled to himself. “Too late.”
New Arrival by Ashlee
Chapter 11 – New Arrival


Spike had stayed away from Buffy for almost a week, knowing she’d want some time to herself and also letting her feel a false sense of security that he had given up on her. Now, as he knocked on her front door, he relished the shocked look on her face.

“H-how did you find me?” she asked, looking around the exterior of the complex before settling her eyes on him.

“A lot of research,” he replied with a smirk.

“Leave,” she said in a hardened voice.

“No,” he said, the smirk never leaving his face.

“Fine,” she muttered, moving to shut the door. Quickly blocking the door frame, Spike entered the apartment.

“Nice place, love,” he said, surveying the interior.

“I didn’t ask,” Buffy replied, standing in front of him with her arms still crossed over her chest, earning a look from Spike.

“Now, now, don’t be like that. You know you’re just a little thrilled that I’m here,” he said, walking over and loosely taking hold of her hips.

“Spike, don’t,” she whispered, her resolve already crumbling at the gentle feel of his hands on her waist.

“Can’t help it,” he murmured, bending lower to gently kiss along her neck. “Just being around you, I have to touch you.”

Closing her eyes as she swallowed, Buffy relished the feel of his lips on her skin, before gently pushing him away. “Spike, we can’t do this.”

“And why’s that?”

Straining to find a reason for a moment, she visibly brightened, pleased with herself when she thought of one. “You have a girlfriend.”

Lightly ran his tongue over his lips as he stared at her hungrily, he arched an eyebrow in her direction. “Says who?”

“Wh-what?”

“You really think,” he began, wrapping his arms around her again. “That after I’ve been with you, I would willingly go back to her? I told her a week ago that it was over.”

Looking down and noticing how intimately their bodies were pressed together, she could have sworn she felt her heart begin to beat for a moment.

“Spike,” she said softly. “I’m not saying it was a mistake. Because it wasn’t,” she said urgently, looking up into his eyes. “But, I think we need to slow it down.”

“What do you mean slow down? Buffy, we’ve already shagged- there’s no reason to get shy on me now,” he said, getting angry.

Carefully masking her feelings as she looked into his eyes, she tried to control the trembling of her chin. “So you only want to be with me if I’ll keep screwing you, is that it?” she asked calmly.

Clenching his teeth together, Spike looked at the ceiling. “Bloody hell, Slayer. I didn’t say that. Stop putting words in my mouth.”

Disentangling herself from his grasp, Buffy moved toward the door. “Thanks for stopping by.”

“Don’t be like this. Come on, Goldilocks, I just came over to see if you wanted to go patrolling.”

Thinking about it for a moment, Buffy slowly nodded. “Okay. Let me get changed.”

Spike nodded and waited by the door as she disappeared into her bedroom, resisting the urge to follow her. When she reemerged a moment later, he felt his mouth go dry as she headed toward him. She had changed into a pair of black leather pants and a snug-fitting white shirt with a low V-neck. Looking away before he was affected anymore than he already was, he cleared his throat. “Ready?” he asked, waiting until she nodded. “Let’s go.”

* * * * *

After more than an hour of patrolling, Buffy was ready to call it quits. They had staked one vampire and hadn’t even spotted any others.

“Where are they tonight?” she grumbled.

Smiling at the childish note in her voice, Spike shrugged. “Honestly don’t know. I didn’t get the memo.”

Glaring at his smart-ass attitude, she turned when she heard a noise. Noticing the change in her, Spike stopped to wait with her.

“This way,” she mumbled.

“What’s wrong?”

“Sounds like someone’s fighting, but you and I are both right here.”

“It could be Gunn. Sometimes he cuts through on his way home from Fred’s,” Spike said, running toward the sound.

Jogging with him until the fight came into view, Buffy skidded to a stop with Spike pausing next to her as they stared at the two people. Watching a woman in black dress pants and a blood red top, currently kicking the crap out of a vampire, both stood with gaping mouths as she landed a high-spinning kick to the vamp’s head before turning with a fluid motion and shoving a stake in his heart.

Gripping her stake as the woman turned to face them, Buffy narrowed her eyes when she watched the woman slip out of her game-face as she walked toward them. Swallowing a gasp when she drew closer and she was able to get a good look at her, Buffy’s eyes narrowed. Her dark chestnut hair fell halfway down her back, and the closer she got, Buffy could see the resemblance between herself and this stranger. It appeared that the woman was just as shocked to see a woman who could have been her twin standing in front of her. While Buffy’s eyes were
hazel, the woman’s were brown. Her lips weren’t quite as full, and she was an inch or two taller, but the resemblance was remarkable.

“You must be Spike,” she said with a soft voice. “I’m Cassidy.”

Staring at her for a moment, obviously trying to get over the resemblance, Spike tilted his head slightly. “And how do you know me?”

“Everyone knows the Slayer, but I’m afraid I don’t know you,” she said, turning to Buffy, who was looking at her skeptically.

“Apparently you need to brush up your Slayer history, then. I’m Buffy Summers.”

The shock was evident on the woman’s face as she stared at the other Slayer. “But you’re dead.”

“Yep…and still kickin’.”

“But you’re not a vampire. I would have heard.”

Letting her fangs lengthen as her eyes turned a remarkable shade of lavender, Buffy could see Spike staring at her in surprise, realizing he’d never seen her version of a game-face. As she turned to look at him, he stared at her eyes, shocked that they weren’t the typical amber color.

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know why,” she said, answering his unasked question before turning her attention back to the woman. “So…Cassidy, what do you want?”

“I want to help.”

Buffy looked at her doubtfully. “You want to help? With what, making sure the human population doesn’t get too high?”

“I want to fight,” she said, directing her attention at Spike and ignoring the woman standing beside him. “I want to help you.”

“Why’s that?”

Noticing the way Spike was staring at the woman, Buffy felt a twinge of jealousy, but fought to ignore it.

“I have a soul.”

Buffy’s head snapped around to stare at Cassidy. “You have a soul?” she scoffed. “You do realize they don’t just stand in line and hand those out.”

“Give her a chance,” Spike said, putting a restraining hand on her arm.

“A chance to what, Spike? Get you to feel all safe and comfortable and then go in for the kill? Why bother giving her a chance? You didn’t give me one.”

“I did, Slayer, it just took a little longer.” Turning his attention to Cassidy, he continued, “How’d you get a soul?”

“I was cursed…I’m not sure by who.”

“Excuse us,” Buffy said with false sincerity as she grabbed Spike’s arm and led him away. When they were safely out of hearing distance, she let go and spun around to face him. “Are you crazy? You must really have a death wish!”

“Calm down, Buffy. Shouldn’t we give her the benefit of the doubt?”

“No! No benefit, only doubt! I don’t like this, Spike. Any vampire can come up to you and tell you that they have a soul. It doesn’t mean they do, and there’s no way to check for it.”

“Buffy, I can take care of myself, and if this chit wants to stake a few vamps, then that’s fine by me.”

“Spike-”

“No, Buffy, I know what I’m doing.”

Watching as he turned and headed back to the woman, the female part of her wanted to leave in a huff of not being listened to, but the Slayer part nagged at her to follow this untrustworthy vampire. Buffy didn’t like her, no matter what Spike’s feeling was. Slowly trailing after him, she heard them laughing over something Cassidy had said, and it almost made her feel sick.

Coming up to stand next to Spike, Buffy stood silently for a few seconds before Spike turned to her. “We’re going to the Bronze, love. You wanna tag along?”

Looking at him incredulously for a moment, the female part of her finally won. “No…I really don’t.”

Turning and walking through the cemetery, Spike noticed that she was walking away from the direction of her apartment, but he shrugged it off. Putting a hand on Cassidy’s back, he began to lead her to the Bronze.
Jealousy by Ashlee
Chapter 12 – Jealousy


Wandering through town aimlessly for over an hour, Buffy managed to hold the tears back, not wanting to start and not be able to stop. It hurt that Spike didn’t trust her judgment, but it hurt even worse that he had chosen that imposter over her.

Walking down Main Street a few minutes later, Buffy hugged her arms tightly to her chest. She felt more alone now than she had when she first arrived in Sunnydale.

“Hey!”

Buffy turned at the sound of the male voice and watched as a man jogged up to her. She refrained from getting into fighting stance as he approached. He didn’t look like a threat, and if he was, Buffy was sure she could take care of him in less than a minute.

“I know you.”

Looking at him in bewilderment for a moment, Buffy shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

“No, you’re sisters with a girl I knew. Dawn…Summers, I think.”

“You know Dawn?”

“Yeah, I graduated with her, and you’re her sister…Bunny?”

“Buffy,” she replied with a laugh. “And you are?”

“Oh, sorry, I’m RJ Brooks.”

“Star Sunnydale High quarterback,” Buffy said, nodding. “I remember you.”

“Yeah, you graduated a couple of years before me. I didn’t know if you’d remember, but damn, you’re looking good!”

Immediately cheering up when she heard the compliment, she offered him a smile. “Thank you.”

“Well, listen, I was wondering if you’d want to go get a drink with me?”

“I-I don’t know. It’s getting pretty late, and-”

“Aw, come on. Just one little drink, and it’s right around the corner.”

“What the hell?” Buffy said after a moment. “I need to loosen up a little, I guess. Let’s go.”

“Great!” RJ said as he led her to the Bronze.

Pausing for a moment before walking through the door, Buffy took a deep breath. ‘What if Spike’s still there?’ she asked herself, worrying her bottom lip. Shaking off her feelings, she followed RJ into the club. ‘So what if he sees me. He’s the one who wanted to get me back and then left with another woman. He can’t dictate my life, especially when he was drooling over my look-alike.’

Following RJ through the club, she smiled softly when he blindly reached his hand toward her, trusting that she would take it. Hesitantly taking his hand, she looked around the club. The Bronze was crowded since it was the weekend, which explained why the vampires weren’t out yet- they were all waiting for people to go home. Scanning the interior and not seeing Spike,
Buffy let RJ lead her to a table. As he took off to get their drinks, she watched him go. He really wasn’t that bad to look at- he had that wholesome, boy next door quality. Unfortunately, Buffy was finding herself attracted to the bad boy look as of late. ‘What the hell,’ she thought. ‘It’s not like this would be a long-term relationship. You may as well have some fun, Buffy.’

* * * * *

Standing with Cassidy on the balcony of the Bronze, Spike didn’t understand why he felt so drawn to her. Aside from her obvious resemblance to Buffy, there was no reason for him to feel this way, but he didn’t stop to analyze it either.

Cassidy had been shamelessly flirting with him all night, but his mind kept getting drawn back to the hurt expression on Buffy’s face before she had walked away from him tonight. He didn’t mean to hurt her feelings- he just wanted her to relax a little bit, which was why he had suggested the Bronze. Thinking that if they heard Cassidy’s side of the story, she’d be more forthcoming with the benefit of the doubt. Instead, she had turned around and gone the other way. Spike had seen the emotions dancing in her eyes but chose to ignore it at the time. Now he was feeling guilty- especially as Cassidy plastered herself to his side.

There was no doubt he was attracted to her, but his thoughts always went back to Buffy. Now as he stared over the railing of the balcony, listening to Cassidy talk his ear off, he caught sight of the blonde he couldn’t get out of his mind. Jealousy filled him as he watched a man hand her a drink and sit down next to her.

‘She said she wasn’t coming,’ he thought angrily. ‘Then she shows up with some ponce I’ve never even seen before and sits there, having a drink with him?’

Watching for several more minutes as Buffy and the stranger flirted, Spike grabbed Cassidy’s hand and led her down the stairs and to the dance floor. Wrapping her securely in his arms as the slow music continued, he felt her body drape around him in a seductive manner. Looking up, he caught Buffy’s eye, and his gut twisted at the sorrow on her face. He watched as she turned to the man and said something to him before getting up and walking out of the Bronze with the man practically tripping over himself to follow her.

“Cassidy, I think we better call it a night.”

“But we just got here,” she purred.

“It’s been a while, and there’s some place I need to be.”

The girl in front of him pouted, and Spike was disturbed to realize that it had nearly the same effect on him that Buffy’s did. Pulling away from her, he gave her a nod. “I’ll see you soon. I really need to go.”

Not giving her a second glance, Spike made his way to the exit. Quickly walking to Main Street, he didn’t see her anywhere. Walking up and down the street once, he checked the alleys before he felt his stomach drop at the thought of her taking the man back to her place.

* * * * *

Unlocking her door, Buffy slowly turned back to face the man behind her. “Thanks for walking me home, RJ, but it really wasn’t necessary.”

“Well, I always make sure that my dates arrive home okay.”

“Date?” she asked with a slight smile.

“Poor choice of words, sorry,” he said with a sheepish expression.

“That’s okay,” Buffy said with a shrug. “I’m sorry I had to cut the night short. I’m just not feeling too well.”

“That’s okay. I’m glad I ran into you. Maybe I can run into you again sometime?”

“Maybe,” she said with a coy smile. “I had fun, RJ.” Leaning up to kiss the taller man on his cheek, Buffy quickly pulled away.

“I’ll see you,” he said with an answering smile. Turning around, RJ faced a very irritated man coming up behind him. Noticing him at the same time, Buffy gritted her teeth as he approached.

Looking directly at Buffy, Spike ignored the other man. “We need to talk.”

“Buffy, will you be okay if I leave?”

Plastering a smile on her face as looked at RJ, she nodded. “I’ll be fine. Nothing to worry about here. You go ahead.”

RJ nodded, not entirely convinced, but he flashed her a smile anyway before heading down the steps to the patio as Buffy turned cold eyes on Spike. “We have nothing to talk about.”

“Like hell,” he said, pushing past her and entering the apartment. Buffy sighed and followed him in, slamming the door behind her.

“Why are you even here, Spike? I thought you’d be off with your new girl.”

“Bloody hell, Slayer, I invited you to come along!” Spike yelled.

“I’m really not looking to experience a ménage a trios, but thanks for thinking of me,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest and raising an eyebrow at him.

Spike was across the room in less than a second, pinning her to the door as he smashed his lips to hers. Enraged that he would try something so intimate after practically having sex with Cassidy on the dance floor twenty minute before, Buffy shoved him away, wiping her lips to further irritate him. “What the hell are you doing?”

Spike didn’t answer, just swung her up over his shoulder, carrying her to the bedroom as Buffy clawed and punched his back. “Put me down, you son of a- oomph.”

Landing with a thump as Spike threw her down on the soft mattress, she glared at him for a moment before scrambling away from him when Spike began shedding his clothes. “I asked you a question.”

“Well, love,” he began, unbuttoning his shirt. “Right now, I’m too pissed at you to get a soddin’ thought in my head. So the way I see it, you have two options. One- we beat the living hell out of each other, or two- I shag you and get some of this aggression out. Either way, lamb, you’re gonna get it.”

Buffy propped herself up on her knees. “How dare you! You think just because I ‘shagged’ you once I’ll do it again? You really have a lot of-”

Her words were silenced when Spike grabbed each side of her face and planted a gentle kiss on her lips. Pulling away, she glared daggers at him. “Don’t think that’ll get you off the hook.”

“No…but this will,” he said with a smirk as he dropped his pants to the floor.

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Got a high opinion of yourself, don’t you?”

“Haven’t heard any complaining,” he said, pulling her off the bed as he slipped her leather pants and thong to the floor. Raising up, Spike grabbed the hem of her shirt and dragged it over her head, pulling her bra off with it. “Got any more quick retorts?”

Looking at him with pure loathing as he stepped forward, Buffy tried to slow her breathing as the anger welled up inside of her. “Don’t think that you’re forgiven.”

“Wouldn’t dream of thinkin’ it, pet.”

“What am I, your second choice tonight?” she asked, gritting her teeth.

“Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?” he asked, grabbing her arms and guiding her backward.

“It means, you were practically being smothered by your new little admirer, and now you’re here with me. Why?”

Shoving her down on the bed, Spike ignored the token struggle as he climbed on top of her. “It means that I want you. It means that I’m falling for you, and I have never wanted to kill a human more than when I saw you and that pillock tonight.”

Not giving her a chance to comprehend what he was saying, Spike pinned her arms above her head and entered her in one smooth motion, grinding himself against her when their hips met.

Arching toward him, Buffy struggled once more, this time for more control, jerking her arms out of his grasp and clawing along his back. Not phased by the suddenly violent move, Spike kissed down the length of her throat before continuing, “I thought I was going to go crazy when I imagined you coming home with him…doing what you’re doing to me.”

“Mmmm,” Buffy moaned, tightening her thighs around him as she bit the side of his neck with her blunt teeth. “I’m not doing anything to you…yet.”

“You have no idea what you do to men, baby. Not just me.”

Arching her back for more contact as Spike thrust into her, she looked into his eyes. “I wasn’t going to-”

“I know. I just don’t like thinking of it. I wasn’t going to, either.”

Wrapping her legs around Spike’s waist as he plunged into her, Buffy jumped when his lips met hers in a tender kiss, hesitantly wrapping her arms around his shoulders.

“You’re mine, Buffy. You belong to me,” Spike ground out as he pumped in and out of her.

“I don’t belong to anyone,” she countered, lifting her hips to meet his thrusts.

Growling at her defiance, he grabbed her hips to try and get some relief from the anger and tension she was causing him.

“You’re beyond frustrating, do you know that?” he said as he reached in between them to softly brush a finger over her clit, stopping after a few seconds.

“Spike,” she gasped, feeling the loss of sensations and desperately craving what he had been offering only a moment ago.

“You’re mine, Buffy,” he repeated.

“No!” she said, looking at him in defiance before quickly flipping them. Once she was on top, she rapidly rode him as his fingers held onto her hips, bruising the skin that had only just healed from their last escapade in the cemetery.

Feeling her climax nearing as Spike physically moved her up and down on his cock, she moved up and down on him, swiveling her hips in a small circle, Buffy screamed out her release as she saw stars dancing in front of her eyes. Spike pumped into her a few more times before pulsing deep inside her welcoming body.

As Buffy fell forward, Spike softly began stroking her back, enjoying the fact that she wasn’t jumping up to kick him out of her home. Deciding if he wanted to stay the night, he better adjust his attitude. Spike buried his face in her hair as he wrapped his arms securely around her waist. “I’m sorry, baby.”

Buffy raised up to look at him with watery eyes. “You are?”

Smiling softly, he nodded, pulling her forward to kiss her gently before moving her to lay next to him on the bed.

“I’m sorry, too,” she whispered, snuggling against his chest, enjoying the warmth he provided as she closed her eyes. Feeling content for the first time in years, both drifted off to sleep.
Betrayal by Ashlee
Chapter 13 – Betrayal


A few weeks unremarkably passed. Buffy had been in Sunnydale for almost three months, and she and Spike had settled into a semi-comfortable relationship, with Spike spending most of his nights over at Buffy’s place. Cassidy had begun to patrol with them, and Buffy hated her even more than she had before. Whenever Spike wasn’t looking, she always threw glares at Buffy and tried to get physically closer to Spike.

When Buffy confided in Spike about her worries, he told her she was overreacting and not to worry about the woman. Buffy had agreed but secretly still kept an eye on the untrustworthy vampire. She had gone to Wesley and told him of the problems she was having with Cassidy, and Wes had been kind enough to do a little research for her. He had come up with very little, only finding out that she was over sixty years old and had always flown under the radar.

As the group was patrolling one night, Buffy kept a careful eye on the woman to her left. Buffy knew if it came down to it, she could take Cassidy in a fight. All she was waiting for was the first punch to be thrown.

Suddenly, all three heads turned as they heard a scream coming from their right. As they began running toward it, five vampires and a woman were seen in the distance. As another scream sounded from a remote location of the cemetery, Buffy glanced in that direction.

“You go,” Cassidy said. “Spike and I can handle this group.”

Glaring at her for a moment, Buffy realized that now was not the time to start a fight over a petty situation. Taking off in the direction of the other scream, Buffy ran at full-speed, seeing a group of five vampires surrounding a man who already had blood running down his neck. The man made eye contact as she got closer and silently pleaded with her to help in some way.

Slowing her pace as she got closer, Buffy idly twirled her stake from hand to hand. “Hey,” she said, with a bright smile as the group turned their attention to her. “Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to play with your food?”

Her question was answered by numerous growls as they all advanced on her. “No?” she asked. “Oh well." Quickly pulling a stake from under her black turtleneck, Buffy let it fly into the chest of the nearest vampire as the rest charged her.

Throwing numerous kicks and punches, she managed to stake another, letting the number dwindle to three. After several minutes of fending them off, Buffy felt herself begin to tire. Seeing a lucky break, she plunged another stake into a vamp that wasn’t paying close enough attention. As the two remaining vampires charged her, she felt a mild sense of panic as each one took an arm and threw her into a tree, never letting go of her. Feeling a pop in her back, she barely managed to ignore it, focusing on her predicament.

“Don’t take it personally,” one said, causing Buffy to shudder as he whispered in her ear. “I mean, I’d love to take out a Slayer anyway, but we’re just doing what we have to do.”

Struggling against their hold when both sets of fangs came toward her neck, she tried to bite back the panic she was feeling. Knowing that she couldn’t be killed by being drained, it didn’t dissuade the fact that she really didn’t feel like being incapacitated long enough for them to stake her. Her Slayer alarms sounded in her head as they got too close before she was suddenly released on one side. Taking advantage, Buffy threw a high kick into the face of the attacker that held her and staked him before turning to the other. She noticed that he let her go because the man they were about to kill must have hit him. Grabbing the vamp as he was preparing to sink his teeth into the man’s neck she threw him several paces away.

“What do you mean, you’re doing what you have to do?” Buffy asked as they circled each other.

“We were paid to take out the Slayer. That’s what we were doing.”

“The Slayer is a man.”

“No, you were the previous Slayer. The most powerful- you were the one chosen.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard the terminology. Who sent you?” she asked irritably.

“You think I’d tell you?”

Throwing her stake into his heart, Buffy shrugged. “Didn’t hurt to ask.” As the dust settled, she turned to the man. “Thanks for the help.”

“It was the least I could do. I mean, you saved me from five of those things.”

“Yeah, well, it’s a first for me, having the person preyed upon offer me any help.”

“How’d you do that?”

“It’s my job,” she said with a shrug.

“There were more,” he said, suddenly panicking. “My girlfriend and I got separated, and some went after her.”

“She should be okay.”

At that moment, a young woman came running at the man and threw herself into his arms.

“You should get home,” Buffy told them.

“Yeah…thank you,” he said as he led his girlfriend away.

Letting out a slow groan when the adrenaline wore off, leaving her with the searing pain in her lower back, she breathed heavily as she stood a little straighter. Twisting her upper body, she managed to pop it and release some of the pressure, but the pain still wrenched her back every time she moved.

Turning around, she saw Spike and Cassidy approaching, the woman practically hanging off of him as they smiled at something. Feeling hatred fill her, Buffy moved forward, a slight limp in her step. As she approached Cassidy, she let her fist fly to land solidly on the other girl’s jaw.

“Buffy, what the bloody hell are you doing?” Spike asked as he helped the injured vamp off the ground.

Giving him a look, she chose to ignore him, turning to face the woman. “You bitch,” she spat out. “You set me up.”

“What are you talking about?” Cassidy asked with an innocent face.

“You set all this up! You had your little gang of vamps split up the couple so you could send me to take on five at once!”

“Slayer, what are you going on about?” Spike asked, furrowing his brow as he looked at her.

Glaring at him as she looked pointedly to where he still held Cassidy’s elbow. “What I’m going on about is your little friend here decided to set up an ambush for me. I would be dead right now if that guy hadn’t stepped in and helped me.”

“That’s kind of a stretch that Cassidy had anything to do with it.”

“You don’t believe me?” she asked disbelievingly. “You think she’s just Little Miss Innocent with a soul? She’s not,” she said, getting angrier. “I am standing here today because for half my life, I have trusted my instincts. And right now, they’re telling me not to trust her. Please, believe me, Spike.” Her eyes looked into his, pleading with him.

“Buffy, I’d like to, but there’s no reason to suspect anything.”

“I think those vamps telling me someone paid them to take me out is a pretty damn good reason to suspect something!”

“Buffy,” Cassidy spoke up. “I would never do anything to get you hurt.”

“Shut it, princess.”

“You help Spike,” Cassidy said, turning her adoring gaze toward him. “And I would never put him in any danger.”

Buffy glared at the girl before turning her attention to Spike. “Do you believe me or not?”

“Love, I want to, but I can’t without-”

“That’s all I need to hear,” she said, pushing past him to painfully walk away.

“Buffy, wait, baby!”

“No!” she cried, spinning around to face him. “You don’t believe me. You obviously don’t trust my judgment, so why do you need me? You have my doppelganger right there, whispering sweet nothings in your ear all the time! I can’t be with someone who doesn’t have faith in me.” Buffy turned and began walking away again.

“Buffy!”

“Oh, and for the record,” she said, turning to face him once more, sarcasm lacing through her voice. “I’m the one with the potentially broken back, and you have your arms around her! Don’t worry about me- thanks for the concern, but I’ll be fine!” Buffy quickly walked away, trying her best to ignore the agonizing pain in her back as she slipped a hand behind her to offer herself some support.

Spike nearly chased after her when he felt pressure on his arm. Looking down at Cassidy, she spoke, “You should let her cool off. Will you help me home?” Softly batting her eyelashes, Spike looked at her and then to the path Buffy had disappeared to.

“Yeah, pet. I can do that.”

* * * * *

Making it home faster than she anticipated, Buffy couldn’t believe Spike didn’t trust her. Calling a cab, not wanting to walk anymore than she had to, she quickly pulling a suitcase and a large shoulder bag from her closet. Filling them with as many belongings as she could, Buffy emptied most of her closet and dresser before going into the bathroom and began toiletries out of the cabinets. Throwing them into a small carrying case, Buffy threw the case into her suitcase and packed a few more possessions, pausing to look at the picture of herself with Willow and Xander, taken when they were in high school. She finally let the tears flow as so many memories and
feelings came crashing down on top of her.

Packing the picture, she looked at another one that Fred had taken a few weeks ago at the Bronze. Buffy was sitting in Spike’s lap, and they were both looking into each other's eyes and laughing at something that Buffy couldn’t even remember. Leaving the picture on the table by her bed, Buffy hoisted the suitcase and bag off the mattress and headed for the door as she heard the cab honk.

She knew it was the cowards way out, but she had to leave. She couldn’t stick around and watch as Cassidy and Spike grew closer together. Grabbing a black ski cap from the table at the door, Buffy tucked her long blonde hair underneath it and headed outside, gently shutting the door behind her.

* * * * *

Helping Cassidy to the small house she was renting on the other side of town, Spike waited until she was through the door before turning to find Buffy.

“Wait!” she cried from inside. “Don’t you want to stay for a while?”

Watching skeptically as Cassidy made her way back to his side and put her arms around his neck, Spike narrowed his eyes.

“I thought we could have some fun,” she whispered as her lips came closer to his, pulling him down to meet her. Snapping out of it at the last second, he disentangled himself from her arms.

“I’m sorry. I can’t do this. I can’t hurt Buffy this way.”

“She’s already mad, Spike. What difference does it make if she knows or not?”

“The difference is that I would know, and I’m not going to do that to her,” he replied, walking down the front steps.

“She doesn’t want you. Don’t you see that? She left you and I together for a reason.”

“No, she didn’t. She’s hurt, and I’ve gotta go.”

Slamming the door behind him, Spike jogged through town, stopping at a grocery store that sold flower arrangements to buy a half-dozen red roses in an apology.

Walking up to Buffy’s apartment a few minutes later, Spike knocked on the door and waited. When there was no answer, he tried the knob and was surprised when it opened without resistance. Slowly walking through the doorway, he laid the flowers on the kitchen bar. Looking through the apartment, something felt off.

“Buffy?” he called, making his way to her bedroom. “Buffy? Answer me, baby.”

As soon as Spike opened the bedroom door, he felt sick. The room was practically stripped. The closet door hung open, showing its few remaining contents. Dresser drawers were left open haphazardly, and he saw that the picture of Buffy and her friends was gone. Feeling slightly lightheaded, he walked over to the nightstand and saw the picture of the two of them, sitting crookedly on the surface. Suddenly gasping for air, Spike sat on the bed.

Buffy was gone.
Old Friends by Ashlee
Chapter 14 – Old Friends


Leaving the bus station in Los Angeles and hailing a cab, Buffy was relieved when one immediately stopped for her. Sunrise was approaching, and she really didn’t want to be on the receiving end of it. Giving the cab driver directions, she stared out the window as the buildings whizzed by. Paying the driver when he arrived at her destination, Buffy gathered her luggage and made her way to the old hotel. Passing through the doors, she noticed that the lobby was empty.

“Hello?”

Turning in a circle, Buffy set her luggage down on a nearby couch and pulled the cap off her head, letting her hair spill out around her shoulders, falling down her back in soft curls.

“Anyone here?” she called, running a hand through her hair to smooth its disheveled appearance.

Seeing a movement out of the corner of her eye, Buffy turned and offered a sheepish smile to the confused man in front of her. “Angel,” she said softly in greeting.

“Buffy…what’re you doing here?”

“I, uh, I kind of need a place to crash…for a while. Was hoping maybe you could help me with that.”

“Of course. I’m sorry, I just haven’t seen you in so long and…is something wrong?”

“It’s a long-”

“Buffy!”

Turning to one of the staircases, her eyes widened when she saw Cordelia Chase rushing toward her. “It’s been forever! How are you? What’s wrong?” she asked when she got close enough to see her swollen eyes and give her a hug.

Taken aback by Cordy’s friendly demeanor, Buffy was almost too stunned to answer. This was definitely not the same girl she’d last seen prancing around, pretending to be Angel’s secretary all those years ago. The years had aged her into a beautiful woman, and she seemed to have more compassion than she had ever shown Buffy in high school.

“It’s a long story.”

“Buffy needs a place to stay,” Angel spoke up.

“Well, of course you’re staying here. Angel, take her things up to a room.”

Smiling at the bossy demeanor, her discomfort eased, somewhat. ‘Some things never change.’

“Is something wrong with Angel?” she asked Cordy once the other vampire was out of hearing distance.

“Oh, you know Mr. Tall, Dark, and Broody. He always has to find something that’s bothering him. You’re usually number one on the list of things to brood about, so seeing you in the flesh after so long…”

“Me? Why me?”

“He killed you. Well, technically, anyway. And then he sired you, and he’s scared that you hold it against him.”

“I don’t,” Buffy replied, shaking her head. “It wasn’t him…it was Angelus. I’ve figured out the difference between the two.”

“Could you please tell him that? Because he’s been moaning about it for the last decade.”

“As soon as I get a good opportunity. So, how are things between you two?”

“Great,” Cordy said as she broke out in a bright smile. “Having the soul anchored is a major plus, and he tells me he loves me every chance he gets. A girl never gets tired of hearing that.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said, looking down at the floor, feeling the weight of the past few hours finally catch up with her. “I know.”

“Oh, Buffy! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to practically rub it in your face about me and Angel. It’s just been so long since you two were together, and I just forget sometimes.”

“Cordy, it’s okay. I-I wasn’t thinking about Angel. There’s someone else.”

“Well, that’s great, but…wait. If there’s someone else, why are you here?”

“That’s what I was wondering,” Angel said, reemerging from upstairs. “What’s going on, Buffy?”

Taking a deep breath, Buffy tried to calm her nerves before beginning. “I went back to Sunnydale a few months ago. I-I thought it would be a good idea to…help out the new Slayer. I met him, and we started patrolling together. Wesley is his Watcher, by the way,” she said with a small smile.

“Wesley!” Cordelia cried. “Oh my God, I haven’t thought about him in years! How is he?”

“He’s good. Much more laid back than he used to be. He’s definitely a much better Watcher now.”

“Anyway…” Angel prodded, trying to steer the girls away from the boy-talk.

Buffy and Cordy shared a small, knowing smile before she continued. “We got really close after a while...really close,” she said, emphasizing it the second time. “And another girl came along. Claims she’s a vampire with a soul,” she said, sharing a knowing look with Angel.

“But that’s impossible,” he said in disbelief.

“That’s what I said. I asked Wes to do some research on her and he came up with a big zero, except for her age. She’s not a Slayer, and she claims she was cursed…though we don’t know by who, and apparently, neither did she.”

“Sounds a little out of the ordinary,” Angel said.

“My thoughts exactly. Earlier tonight, the three of us split up when there were two vamp attacks in different areas. I got a group of five and was barely holding on. That’s when the vamps said the strangest thing. They said they were doing what they were paid to do, and that was to take out the Slayer…me…not Spike.”

“Spike?” Cordelia asked.

“He’s the new Slayer.”

“Hottie?” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh yeah,” Buffy replied with a sigh.

“Can we get back on topic please?” Angel interrupted.

“Sorry. So anyway, I stake the vamps and go and punch this Cassidy chick, who, by the way, really deserved it since she can’t keep her hands off Spike, but he gets all defensive and doesn’t believe me when I tell him what I found out. So there I am, standing there in obvious physical pain, and he just…he just…”

She trailed off as her emotions caught up to her.

“Buffy,” Angel said softly. “I’m sure that he just didn’t know what to believe. You’ve only known him a few months, and-”

“Angel,” Cordy cut him off as she wrapped an arm around the tearful Slayer. “She loves him,” she said quietly.

“Oh,” he said, with a nod before his eyes widened. “Oh.”

“I just couldn’t stay,” she said in a strained whisper. “He was being all protective with her, just because I hit her. And I was standing there with broken bones, and he barely even looked at me.”

“You’re hurt?” they both asked simultaneously.

“I don’t know. My back still hurts, but that’s normal considering how recently it happened.”

Both Cordelia and Angel immediately turned her around, not listening to her feeble protests. Feeling Angel gently probing her back, she hissed in pain when he got closer to her hips as Cordy went to get a first aid kit.

“I think it’s fractured. Looks like you’ll be fine in a day or two with the accelerated healing, but it’ll probably swell later today.”

Cordelia reappeared with the kit and pulled out some cotton and alcohol. “You’ve got a cut on your head.”

Reaching up to her forehead and feeling the gash that resided there, she sighed heavily. “Great,” she mumbled. “Just add to my night.”

“Let Cordy clean that up, and then I’ll show you to your room.”

“Thanks, Angel,” she said with a soft smile. Wincing in pain, a moment later, as the alcohol burned her skin, she exhaled as the butterfly strips were put in place.

“All set,” Cordy said, cleaning up.

“Thanks, guys. And I promise not to be here very long. I just need to figure out what to do next.”

“Buffy, you’re welcome here as long as you want,” Cordy said.

“Thanks,” she replied with a grateful smile as she followed Angel up the stairs. Following him to a suite at the end of the hall, Buffy gasped when he opened the door. “It’s beautiful,” she said, taking in the room.

“Pretty much the only one that’s fit for staying in.”

“It’s perfect, thank you!” she said, turning and giving him a hug. She felt Angel tense at their close proximity and pulled away to look up into his eyes. “Angel…I want you to know…I don’t blame you for what happened.”

“For what happened?” he repeated.

“The whole happiness clause. It’s not like you let Angelus come out and play,” she continued as she went to sit on the bed.

Angel followed her, sitting down beside her. “Buffy, I never meant-”

“I know,” she said, cutting him off. “I know it wasn’t you. You had no control, and I’m really not mad. Besides…it’s not all bad being a vampire. I mean, the whole drinking blood thing still kind of wigs me out, but that’s life…or unlife, as the case may be.”

“Buffy, I tortured you-”

“Again, with the not being you who did it.”

“I…he raped you,” he said quietly, looking down at his hands.

“He did,” she said softly, nodding as she looked at her hands and tried not to remember the days that she was brutalized while chained to the bed. “But I’m strong,” she continued, trying not to let him see how the memories were affecting her. “I healed, and I know that there’s no chance of him doing it again. I forgive you, Angel. I figure I’m going to know you for the rest of my unlife. I need you as my friend…not as a stranger.”

“I still love you, Buffy,” he said softly. Buffy stayed quiet as he continued, “Not in the same way it used to be, but it’s there. I’m in love with Cordy, but I do still love you.”

“I know…believe me, I know.”

“Do you think you did the right thing? Leaving town, I mean?”

Buffy looked into his eyes, searching for something she was unsure of. “Did you do the right thing when you left me?”

“Different situation, Buffy.”

“Yeah. I don’t have an answer for you. I couldn’t stick around. He was the only person keeping me there, and the thought of losing him to her…I just thought it was better to be the first to let go.”

“You can stay here as long as you need to. Whenever you feel up to it, maybe you could help Cordy and me with some cases,” he said, standing to leave the room. “And Buffy, if you love this guy, maybe he is worth it.”

“Thank you,” she said with a grateful smile. “Good night, Angel.”

“Good night.”

* * * * *

Standing outside Wesley’s house, Spike banged on the door, breathing a sigh when it finally opened to reveal a very irritated man. “Buffy’s gone, Wes.”

“What are you talking about, William?”

“Gone…packed up her stuff and left!”

“Left town?”

“Bloody hell! I don’t know!”

“Calm down and tell me what happened.”

“I don’t know,” Spike said, dropping down to sit on the couch. “She got really paranoid about Cassidy planning an ambush on her and then got mad at me for defending her and took off. But, you wanna know the real kicker? I don’t know why I defended her. Every part of me wanted to chase after Buffy, and I couldn’t. I physically couldn’t, Wes, and I didn’t even realize something was wrong until about an hour ago. I need to know what’s going on.”

“Oh dear, I was afraid of this.”

“What do you mean you were afraid of this?” Spike yelled, rising angrily from his position.

“Will, Buffy’s been worried about how close you’ve been getting to Cassidy. She doesn’t trust her, and she asked me to do some research on her.

“And?”

“Nothing came up. And believe me when I say nothing. She’s about sixty years old, give or take a few years, and other than that, it’s as if she doesn’t exist. I don’t think Cassidy is even her real name. I think she may be using some type dark magic to get you to trust her...to build some type of relationship with her.”

“Are you saying I’ve been under some kind of spell this whole time?”

“No. Not necessarily the whole time, just whenever you’re in close proximity with Cassidy. You still want to be with Buffy, don’t you?”

“You know I do,” Spike growled. “She’s gone, Wesley, and it’s all my fault, because I’m not strong enough to tell this chit to bugger off.”

“William, you wouldn’t have control over your actions. You need to be very careful. This kind of magic is what got the slayer, Kendra, killed. Although, the vampire that used it on her appears to be much more advanced than Cassidy, since you were obviously alone with her last night and you’re still alive.”

“She tried to get me to stay,” he mumbled softly, before turning his eyes to his Watcher’s. “Last night, she tried to get me to stay longer, but I knew I had to get to Buffy.”

“She’s a novice. If it is a thrall, she can only hold on to it for short periods of time. It was probably fading at the time she asked you to stay.”

Collapsing onto the couch again, Spike’s head fell into his hands as he tried to keep control over his emotions. “I have to find Buffy, Wesley. She thinks I willingly picked Cassidy over her. Bloody hell, I need some kind of resistance to this magic,” his muffled voice said. “Whatever mojo she’s worked on me, I defended the bint for crying out loud,” his voice getting louder as he looked up with bloodshot eyes.

“I think you already have a resistance.”

“What’s that?”

“You’re in love with Buffy. No matter what you might be saying out loud, you know that you’re in love with her and that helps protect you.”

“I can’t lose her.”

“William…she may already be lost,” Wesley said gently.

“She bloody well isn’t! Find her, Wesley!”

“Will, if she doesn’t want to be found-”

“I don’t soddin’ care what she wants. She has to know what really happened. I need her Wesley…find her.” Storming out of the house, Spike slammed the door behind him. He felt lost without Buffy, and he had only been without her for a few hours.
Conversations by Ashlee
Chapter 15 – Conversations


After staying at the Hyperion for a week, Buffy’s back had healed nicely, and now she was going out at night to help Angel and Cordelia. She knew they appreciated the extra assistance that she gave, but she couldn’t help feeling like a third wheel. She was currently debating the idea of staying in L.A. and finding an apartment. She would still be able to help Angel and Cordy when they needed her, but she could also give them a little more privacy at the same time. Her thoughts were interrupted as she heard Angel’s footsteps walking down the hall.

“Buffy?” he asked, lightly knocking on the door.

“Yeah, Angel?”

“You have a phone call.”

Buffy froze for a minute. The only person who knew where she was staying at the hotel was Dawnie, and she was sworn to secrecy. “Who is it?”

“You should take this, Buffy,” he said before walking away.

Looking at the phone sitting on her nightstand, she seemed to by mesmerized by the flashing light for a moment before snapping out of it and picking up the receiver. “Hello?”

“Buffy? Thank God!”

“Giles?”

“Yes, Buffy, it’s me. I just got a phone call from Wesley, who was very worried about you. He said you’d disappeared about a week ago, and he was trying to locate you.”

“Giles, you can’t tell him where I am.”

“He’s very worried about you-”

“Tell him I’m safe, but Giles, you can’t tell him I’m here.”

“Is there something I should know?” the older man asked in an authoritative tone.

“It’s a long story, ends badly. Just please trust me on this,” she pleaded.

“Buffy, Wesley’s a smart man, much as I hate to admit it. He’ll figure it out eventually.”

“Please?” she asked softly, appealing to the paternal side in him.

“Are you in trouble?” he asked with a sigh.

“No. Not the kind you’re thinking of. I just need a little time to myself. I needed to get away.”

“Alright, but please let me know where you are from now on.”

“I will…I’m sorry for scaring you, Giles,” she said softly.

“It’s alright, just don’t let it happen again. I’ll talk to you soon, Buffy.”

“Bye, Giles.”

Hanging up the phone, Buffy bit her lip, not sure what to do now. She couldn’t keep running away from her problems, but she wasn’t ready to face them yet either. Deciding to wait it out a few more days before she came to any major decision, she got up to begin her daily training session with Angel.

Staring at the phone before she left the room, Buffy let out a deep sigh. “What the hell,” she muttered. Picking up the receiver for the second time, she dialed a number she recalled from memory and listened to the ringing tone. When she heard the voice on the other end, she slowly took a deep breath, hoping to calm her nerves. “Wesley?”

“Buffy, is that you? We’ve been worried sick!”

“I’m sorry, Wes. I just wanted you to know I’m okay.” Buffy stopped and listened as Wesley spoke softly to someone in the background before she heard the static of the receiver begin moving.

“Buffy?”

“Spike.”

“Love, where are you?”

“That’s not important,” she said with an edge to her voice. “Tell Wesley I’m okay.”

“Buffy, please don’t hang up! I miss you, baby.”

Feeling her throat close up, she battled the tears in her eyes. “Why don’t you visit your new girl? She’s obviously more important than I am.”

“No, don’t say that. She’s…”

Trailing off when he heard the click of the phone, Spike clenched his jaw in irritation. “Damn it!” he yelled, throwing the phone against the wall.

“I expect you to pay for that,” Wesley said calmly, never looking up from his inventory papers. “I take it she wouldn’t talk to you?”

“What gave it away?” Spike asked sarcastically.

“Perhaps it would be better if you were to have a face to face confrontation.”

“Well…that’s just splendid, Wesley. And how am I supposed to do that when she won’t even tell me where the hell she is?” his voice going from frighteningly calm to yelling.

“It might be plausible for you to check the caller ID.”

Spike froze for a moment before lunging for the small box sitting on the desk.

“Los Angeles? What the bloody hell is she…Angelus,” he said, his voice dripping with hatred. “Wesley, I need an address.”

“The Hyperion Hotel, leased by Cordelia Chase for the management of Angel Investigations.”

Throughout the entire heated conversation, Wesley never once looked at Spike, which the younger man was beginning to find very annoying.

“And you know this how?”

“It’s my job to know. Angel fights on the good side. One of the few who still does. It’s handy to know who your allies are and where they’re located.” Finally looking up, Wesley made eye contact with Spike. “Are you going or not?”

Smiling when the young man practically flew out the door, Wes slowly shook his head. “To be young again.”

* * * * *

Buffy and Angel trained for over three hours, Angel letting her take out a lot of her aggression from the conversation she’d had with Spike. It had taken him nearly an hour to get that piece of information from her. Now as she was taking out her frustration on a punching bag, Angel left the training room and headed for the lobby to regroup and hopefully begin to heal some painful bruises she had accidentally inflicted on him.

Turning when he heard the door open, he frowned when he encountered a man he’d never seen before. A man who exuded power. “May I help you?”

“Yeah, I’m looking for someone, and I’m hoping she’s here.”

“Spike,” Angel practically growled. This man was the reason he was going to be sore for the next twenty-four hours, not to mention the reason that a woman he cared about was in pain.

Taking in the man in front of him- tall and broad-shouldered, he felt his jaw tense when he took in the shirtless form and loose-fitting black sweat pants. “Angelus.”

Before Angel could respond, both men turned at the sound of a door shutting. Spike stared as Buffy walked out, dressed in a pair of tight black cotton pants and a tiny white tank top.

“Angel, I’m sorry if was too hard on you in-”

Buffy froze when her eyes came to rest on Spike before turning and rushing out of the lobby. Spike took off after her, catching her as she came to the end of a long hallway.

“Love, please wait.”

“Why?” she cried, whirling around to face him. “Why should I listen to anything you have to say? You don’t want me, remember?”

“I never said that, Slayer,” he said, his temper rising. “I never thought it, not for a moment.”

“Oh no…you didn’t have to. You don’t want to be with me, Spike. You don’t trust me, and you don’t believe me, so why should I listen to anything you have to say?

“I love you.” The admission was so quiet, Buffy thought she heard wrong. “I’m sorry. I do trust you. I believe you and I’ve missed you so much this week, and I want you back. Please, baby,” he whispered as he took a step closer to her.

“Spike, you don’t have confidence in me-”

“I never said that,” he replied fervently.

“You didn’t have to. You were too busy chasing after a new girl. Is this some kind of pattern I should know about? Get someone to be your girlfriend and then blow them off when the better specimen comes along?”

“Buffy, I was under some kind of spell!” At her skeptical look he continued, “If you don’t believe me, call Wesley. He’s the one who realized it. Cassidy’s got this mind-control that she’s been using on me. Whatever she’s worked on me, I was incapable of doing what I wanted, which was going after you. Baby, whatever you want me to do, I’ll do it. Let’s find out who this chit really is and get rid of her.”

“She’s like Drusilla,” Buffy mumbled, before shaking her head to get back on track. “It still doesn’t change us, Spike. You were ready to abandon me for your precious Cassidy!”

“Buffy,” he said in a pleading voice. “That wasn’t me, pet. I was under a spell. This is me…I’m the same person you first met…I’m the same man who fell in love with you and I promise she will never do that to me again.”

“How do you know that?” she asked, tensing up slightly when his arms wrapped around her waist.

“Because I have you,” he whispered into her ear.

Relishing the feel of his arms around her and his lips against her jaw she tried to pull away after a moment as she shook her head. “It doesn’t matter. It still won’t work between us,” she said softly.

“How do you know that?” he asked, becoming exasperated. “Because I’m the Slayer? Because you’re a vampire? I love you, Buffy and I know you care for me, so why don’t you tell be what it is?”

“It’s both…we’re too different, and-”

“And we’re exactly the same,” he said, cutting her off. “The only difference is our life expectancy.”

“That’s not the only difference-”

“So kill me.”

Buffy gaped at him as he said it. “Wh-what are you talking about?” she asked anxiously.

“Kill me,” he said as if they were talking about the weather. “Turn me…make me into a vampire.”

“You have no idea what you’re saying. You’ve known me for a few months, and you want to spend eternity with me?”

“That’s the idea.”

“You don’t even realize what you’re asking me to do.” Buffy spun around and angrily began to walk away, only to be pulled back and pinned to the wall by him.

“We could be together. Forever. That’s what you want, isn’t it? Not to be alone? That’s what I want.”

“Spike, you can’t ask me this. It’s not fair.”

“Why? It’s better all around. I die…another Slayer is called, and we get to be together. It’s the best way.”

“You’re asking me to kill you! Can you even comprehend what that would do to me? To watch your life slip away because of me?”

Seeing the slight indecision that flashed on his face was enough to stop whatever hope was beginning to well up inside of her that she wouldn’t be alone forever. She couldn’t do it.

“Buffy, I wouldn’t be gone,” he said after a moment, sounding as if he was convincing himself. “My soul would be anchored. You’re proof of that.”

“I refuse,” she said, shaking her head violently. “I couldn’t do it, even if I wanted to, which I don’t! I wouldn’t even know how. It’s not like I’ve ever done that before, and call me crazy, but I wouldn’t want the man I love to be the guinea pig for my first experiment.”

“You love me?”

“You know I do,” she whispered, looking up into his eyes.

Leaning forward, Spike pressed a gentle kiss to her lips before pulling back to look at her. “This conversation isn’t over, lamb.”

“It is for me. I can’t do it, Spike. Please don’t ask me again.”
Forever by Ashlee
Chapter 16 – Forever


Sitting in the lobby of the hotel in the pre-dawn hours, Buffy watched through the windows as the sky began to lighten. Spike had let the subject drop when they went up to her room, quickly falling asleep with his arms wrapped tightly around her. After staying awake and listening to the comforting sounds of his breathing and heartbeat, she had further cemented her decision to leave well enough alone. She didn’t want to be the one to take that away from him. He deserved to live a normal life, or at least as normal as a Slayer could have.

After an hour, Buffy had gotten up to go sit in the lobby. Moving away from the window, she went to sit on a couch, curling her legs up to her chest and resting her chin on her knees.

She felt lost.

And the loneliness that was surrounding her before, felt like it was smothering her now.

Knowing that Spike was willing to give up everything to be with her, but she couldn’t take it, made the lifetimes she would have to live, after he was gone, even more lonely and full of despair.

“Buffy?”

Looking up with sad eyes, she didn’t say anything when she saw Angel standing in front of her.

“What’s wrong?”

Shaking her head in response, she slowly lowered her chin back to her knees, letting her shoulders sag.

“Is it Spike?”

“He wants me to turn him, Angel,” she said quietly, almost to herself.

Standing in shock for a few moments, Angel slowly sat down next to her. “He told you, straight out?”

“Yeah,” her voice barely above a whisper.

“What did you say?”

“I told him I wouldn’t. I can’t kill him,” she said softly, her voice a choked whisper.

Angel nodded. “And did he agree?”

“He dropped the subject, but I don’t think the conversation’s over.”

“That’s a big sacrifice, Buffy.”

“You think I don’t know that?” she asked, her eyes snapping over to his.

“I never said that. How do you feel about it? I mean, really feel?”

“I wanted to,” she whispered softly, never looking away from him as the tears filled her eyes. “I want him. I don’t want to be alone forever…but that’s just me being selfish.”

“That’s not selfish, Buffy. You love him, and I know how you feel. I feel the same about Cordy, but your decision is more difficult because he would keep his soul.” Angel paused to wrap a comforting arm around the small girl. “And you won’t be alone. I’ll be here for you.”

Managing a weak smile, Buffy slowly turned toward the staircase when she heard a noise, surprised to look directly into Spike’s infuriated blue gaze. Standing up and making her way over to him, she wrapped her arms around his lean waist, resting her head against the strong muscles of his chest.

“What’re you doing up, baby?” she asked quietly.

Never taking his eyes off of Angel as he spoke, “I was going to ask you the same thing. You weren’t in bed…got worried about you.”

“I’m fine. Let’s go back to bed.”

“You go on. I’ll be there in a minute,” he said, turning his gaze to Buffy when she looked up at him with a worried look in her eyes. Silencing her fears by kissing her tenderly on the forehead, her gently cupped her cheek in his hand. “Go on, love. I just need some water.”

Hesitantly nodding, she made her way up the stairs. When she was out of sight, Spike turned on Angel. “Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing, Peaches.”

Angel’s gaze turned livid as he stared at the Slayer. “And what would that be, boy?”

Taking a few steps closer to him, Spike narrowed his eyes. “You have your fun now with the new girl. In a few years when she’s gone, you'll turn back to your first love because she’ll always be here.”

Clenching his jaw tightly, Angel restrained himself from slamming his fist into the younger man’s face. “Watch your mouth, boy. I love Cordelia, and I would never use her that way just to go back to Buffy.”

“I have no doubt you love her, mate. But an eternity is a long time to be alone. Might as well strengthen those bridges while they're around instead of burning them, eh?”

“You have no idea what you’re talking about,” Angel said, pushing past Spike.

“No?” he asked, turning to face him again. “So you’re not still in love with Buffy?”

Turning and staring at him for a few moments, Angel finally nodded. “I love her…but not in the way you think.” Without another word, he walked out of the lobby, leaving Spike to stand and reflect over what he’d said.

“Spike?”

Turning at the sound of the soft voice from the stairs, he felt himself relax when he saw Buffy standing there. “Yeah, pet?”

“Is something wrong?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“No,” he said, shaking his head and walking toward her. “Nothing’s wrong. Let’s go to bed.”

Smiling when he guided her back to their room and shut the door, she relaxed as she watched him lean against it.

Admiring the woman in front of him for a moment, he smiled when she finally looked down at the floor in embarrassment. “What?” she asked with a soft smile.

“You.”

“Me?”

Pushing away from the door, he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer as he buried his face in her hair. “Just watching you…I missed you, baby.”

“I know…I missed you, too.”

“You didn’t have to leave,” he said, pulling back to look at her. “I came back. I probably would have caught you if I hadn’t stopped to buy those soddin’ flowers.”

Buffy’s face immediately brightened. “You bought me flowers?”

“Like the bloody ponce that I am. I knew I had to do something to make it up to you.”

“What kind?”

“What? Oh, roses…I think.”

“You think?” she asked with a smile.

“I’ve been a little preoccupied with trying to find you, baby. I don’t really remember what I bought for you a week ago.” Buffy pouted, causing Spike to smile. “You know I can’t resist that lip.”

Buffy didn’t respond, just jutted her lip out even further, until Spike pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. Moaning when the kiss slowly became more passionate, she allowed him to lead her over to the bed, trembling when he slowly began undressing her. Once her clothing was a pile on the
floor, Spike lovingly picked her up and placed her on the bed before shedding his sweatpants and crawling on top of her.

More than a little surprised by the tenderness of his actions, Buffy wasn’t sure what to expect. Their lovemaking had always been raw and passionate- Spike had never treated her to this mellow, slower pace that he was currently using as he kissed his way down her body. Suddenly becoming more nervous when he began lavishing kisses against her thigh, slowly trailing upward, Buffy tensed, biting her lip as she stopped his movements.

“Wh-what…what are you doing?” she asked, her voice thick with tension.

Looking up into her eyes, Spike raised an eyebrow. “Surely you know what I’m doing, love.”

Buffy nodded nervously. “It’s just…I’ve never…”

Spike smiled in understanding. ‘So,’ he thought. ‘The great poofter never did this.’

“Relax, baby,” he whispered huskily. “You’ll love it.”

Before Buffy had a chance to react, she felt his tongue slide along her opening and arched off the bed when the jolt of pleasure hit her body. Spike smiled, enjoying the reaction he was rewarded as he continued his ministrations.

Feeling his tongue softly trailed almost lazily over her sensitive flesh. Moaning when he nipped lightly at her clit, Buffy felt her fingers winding through his soft hair, urging him to continue
as a tingling sensation began in her stomach. His tongue bathed over her vulnerable bundle of nerves before latching on and sucking hard.

Buffy’s hands abandoned his hair as she grabbed the covers to each side of her and arched into his face with a shuddering scream of climax.

Holding her hips, Spike continued to draw out her maximum pleasure as Buffy began squirming when the feeling became too much for her. Letting her go to crawl up her body and look down at her, he offered her a tender smile when she looked up at him with an exhausted gaze. Lowering his lips to hers, Spike kissed her passionately, smiling against her lips when she began to grow even more excited as she tasted herself on his tongue.

Gasping when she felt his hardened length pressing against her, she arched toward him, letting her fingernails dig into his shoulders, her muscles clenching around him when he slowly entered her.

Meeting her lips in another searing kiss, he began rocking slowly against her, smiling when he felt Buffy try and speed up the thrusts only to groan in frustration when he continued at the same pace.

“Just relax, baby. This is all for you,” he whispered, looking deep into her eyes. Spike continued to move his hips as their hands entwined, relishing the feel of the woman beneath him as they fell into the rhythm of their bodies moving as one.

Watching as Buffy’s body began to shake with another impending climax that he was causing, Spike sped up, plunging into her with more force, watching as she involuntarily squeezed her eyes shut. Her body began to quake as it shook with a powerful orgasm, gasping a second before her inner muscles began clenching around his cock as Spike continued his thrusts.

“Spike!”

Feeling his body trembling as her nails dragged along the length of his back before spilling himself deep within her. Collapsing next to her on the bed, Spike pulled her to him and kissed her lightly on the top of her head.

“I love you, baby,” he whispered hoarsely.

“I love you, too.”

Watching as Buffy fell into an exhausted sleep a few minutes later, he pulled her even closer to him. “Forever,” he whispered.
Surprises by Ashlee
Chapter 17 – Surprises


The next night, Buffy dressed in a pair of white dress pants and a black long sleeve V-neck shirt. She and Spike would be leaving for Sunnydale the next day, and Spike wanted to take her out for a night in L.A. before they left.

Staring at the where her reflection was supposed to be, she let out a sigh before brushing her hair and putting on some lip gloss. Walking through the hotel, she smiled when she saw Spike standing in the lobby, looking as nervous as a schoolboy as he wiped his palms against his black pants.

Looking at him hungrily, she took in the black dress shirt and ever-present duster, taking in the natural curl that was evident in his hair and the nervous way that he was pacing the length of the lobby.

Hearing Buffy approaching, Spike spun in a circle to look at her, smiling when he watched her walk down the stairs. “You look beautiful, love,” he said, walking toward her.

“Thanks, you don’t look half-bad yourself,” she replied, straightening the collar of his shirt and smoothing her hands over the strong planes of his chest.

Wrapping his arms around her waist, Spike felt the nervousness fade away. This would technically be their first date since their dates in Sunnydale usually consisted of them patrolling and having Buffy so close to him was making him feel more at ease.

“Hey, guys! You ready?” Cordy asked as she and Angel walked into the room.

Spike and Angel glowered at each other, still not thrilled with their respective women for planning this night without consulting them. Buffy playfully smacked Spike on the chest, getting him to focus his attention away from Angel and back on her, which he was more than willing to do.

“Yeah, Cordy,” she said. “We’re ready.”

“Let’s go then,” Cordelia said. “You boys play nice now,” she said, linking arms with Buffy and giggling like they were the best of friends, leaving the men to walk behind them. Actually, they were hoping that the two could work out some of their differences but didn’t want to tell either about it, knowing that if they knew this was a set-up, they would each clam up.

Both Angel and Spike trailed after the girls, shoving their hands in their pockets as they followed. Walking to the restaurant, Angel shot a glance in the younger man’s direction. “I heard what you asked Buffy to do.”

Spike’s eyes snapped up to look at the larger man. “What of it?”

Angel shrugged. “It’s a big deal…shows that you really love her. You’re willing to die for her, even if it wouldn’t technically be dying.”

“I’d die for her,” Spike said softly, staring at the woman in front of him. “In a heartbeat.”

“You know she can’t do it.”

“And what would that be, mate?” he asked with a sigh.

“Turn you. She’s never even sunk her teeth into somebody, much less turned anyone. She’s not capable of finding that fine line where the turning is possible. She doesn’t have a demon in her to give her that instinct.”

Staying quiet as they walked for a few more minutes, Spike clenched his jaw. “And you?”

Angel turned to face the Slayer, staring at him for a long moment. “I have too much to pay for as it is. One of which is walking about forty feet away,” he said, watching as the girls turned a corner. “I don’t need to add to the body count.”

“But that’s just it, isn’t it? You already have a death toll, so what’s one more? Especially since it’s for the greater good.”

“What do you mean?”

“I die and a new Slayer is activated. I come back, and that’s one more person to fight the good fight. Better every way you look at it.”

“Maybe, but it’s not for me to decide.”

“Oh, come on, Angelus. I know you could do it, you could just…”

Both men stopped when they turned the corner, and Buffy and Cordelia were nowhere to be seen.

“Something’s not right,” Spike muttered as they slowly advanced on a darkened alley. Neither man heard any fighting, but both were cautious anyway. Slowly turning another corner, Angel shifted into game-face to see better. Both men ran to the back of the alley when they saw Buffy and Cordy surrounded by a pack of vampires, managing to fight their way through to get to each other. Everyone went into fighting stance as over a dozen vampires dropped from the top of the building to surround all of them. Angel and Spike both gripped their stakes harder as Buffy and Cordy reached for theirs.

They watched as the mob parted, and Buffy clenched her teeth when the woman walked toward them, ten more vampires behind her. “Cassidy,” she growled low in her throat.

“You know, Spike,” Cassidy said, ignoring the women. “It wasn’t very nice to leave town and not tell your slaying partner.”

Spike narrowed his eyes. “My slaying partner is the reason I left town.”

Leveling her gaze on Buffy, she tilted her head. “Ah yes, Miss Summers. You were a surprise. You know, it is hard to get this guy alone, and then when I’m finally able to, all he talks about is you. The original plan would have been much easier if you had died when you were supposed to. Well, at least one of the times you were supposed to.”

“Yeah, well, I’m not much with following plans. Never have been. And so this is your newest plan, Cass?” Buffy asked. “Same thing as the cemetery, only you add more vamps to your ambush? I think you should get a new brain in the group, because this is just getting weak.”

“Cliché as it is, yes. You know, all I wanted to do was get to the Slayer. You just had to get in the way, and then when you finally do leave town, he runs off after you like a lost little puppy.” Spike glared as Cassidy continued, “I’ve been waiting to get you alone, and since you obviously can’t go anywhere without these two,” she gestured to Angel and Cordy. “I have to do this with them present. Which isn’t so bad really. Take out the Slayer and the two vampires with souls…not a bad deal if you think about it.”

“Who put you up to it?”

“Nobody put me up to it. This is my revenge on that horrible Watcher's Council for holding me prisoner for the last few decades. Oh, I heard plenty about the legendary Angel, how he was cursed with a soul and now helps the hopeless. Sounded like a good story, so when that dreadful Quentin Travers retired and was replaced with that bumbling idiot Nigel, I was able to put my escape plan into action. I figured- what better way to take out my revenge than to kill the Slayer?”

“Why now?” Spike spoke up, subtly closing in on his companions, feeling Buffy’s tensed shoulder on his arm and Cordy’s back against his. Angel had the opposite position with his back to Buffy, each rigid and ready to spring at the same time.

“Why now? Well, I’m not stupid enough to believe I could bring down a Slayer on my own. I would have rather done it in more intimate circumstances, but you weren’t as responsive to that as I’d hoped, so Plan B went into action,” Cassidy said, waving a hand in indication of her gang.

“You know,” Buffy said. “I’m getting really sick of you.” As the words barely left her lips, she attacked. Three vampires blocked her way to Cassidy, but Buffy began fighting them off. She could hear the others behind her and quickly staked two of the vampires in her way.

‘Where’s a sword when I need one?’ she thought as she pulled another stake from her shoe and let it fly into one of the vamps that was trying to sneak up on Cordelia. Buffy knew they were gaining a slight advantage, but as she staked another one, she could feel her strength slowly fading. She and Angel were taking the impact of the full attack, both trying to protect the more vulnerable humans behind them.

Losing track of Cassidy and turning to look for her, Buffy realized her mistake a second too late when she felt her head crack into the brick wall of the building next to her. Seeing stars, she tried to shake off her disorientation and felt her arms seized in strong hands on each side, groaning in frustration as she struggled to get free. Pausing when she realized the vampires holding her captive weren’t trying to hurt her, she got confused. Still struggling, she looked and saw Angel being cornered. Cordy was holding her own against the two that were attacking her, and Spike was fending off four at the same time.

Doing a quick count, Buffy saw eleven vampires but no Cassidy. A scream ripped from her throat when she saw Spike collapse on the ground after a rough kick to his head. Watching as he shakily made it back to his feet, only to be grabbed in a similar hold as Buffy, she felt her frustration growing.

“That’s more like it,” Cassidy said, coming out of the shadows. “Watch closely, Slayer,” she said to Buffy, seconds before sinking her fangs into Spike’s jugular.

Screaming when she saw Spike’s jaw tighten in pain before appearing to relax, Buffy renewed her struggle as he was dropped to the ground, blood pooling out of the gaping wound in his neck. Suddenly, the vamp next to her exploded in ashes. Buffy’s head snapped around to see Cordelia before spinning and flipping the other vampire still holding her. As she ran to Spike’s side, she saw Cordelia dusting the vamp as Angel worked on the four that had been holding Spike.

Falling to her knees by his side with tears in her eyes, Buffy cradled his head in her lap. “I’m here, baby. You’re going to be okay,” she whispered, tracing the sharp contours of his cheekbones. Leaning over and letting the tears fall when his eyes weakly closed, Buffy’s body shook with sobs as the pain grew in her heart. She could hear the soft thumping of his heart as it strained to keep beating, getting slower every second.

“Buffy, now!”

Raising her watery eyes to look at Angel in confusion as he battled the few remaining vampires, she didn’t understand what he was telling her.

“Now, Buffy!”

Comprehension dawned on her features as she realized what he was saying. Quickly lengthening her fangs, Buffy sliced open the delicate skin of her wrist, watching for a second as the blood poured from the gash before sinking her fangs into his neck, praying that she was taking enough blood as she pressed her wrist to Spike’s lips. Waiting for a few seconds, Buffy felt the tears fall again as nothing happened before feeling a light suction against her wrist. Holding it closer to his mouth, she watched as he drank from the wound before his jaw relaxed.

Looking up into the anxious eyes of Cordelia and Angel as they watched tensely. Meeting Angel’s gaze, Buffy felt her chin quiver as she opened her mouth. “D-did…did it w-work?”

Angel nodded. “He should be fine, Buffy. This time tomorrow, he’ll be fine.”

“You’re sure?”

Angel nodded again. “You did everything right.”

Sniffling as she looked at Spike’s peaceful face, she let the tears continue to fall, cupping his cheek in her hand. “But did I do the right thing?” she asked quietly, almost to herself. Angel heard the soft question and understood the turmoil she was in, but stayed quiet, knowing that he couldn’t say anything to ease the uncertainty that was racing through at that moment.

Cordelia bent down to sympathetically rub Buffy’s back. “We should get him back to the hotel, Buffy.”

Nodding as she released her hold on Spike, she took a deep breath when Angel walked over and picked him up. Cordelia slipped an arm under Buffy’s shoulders and helped her to her feet, guiding her to follow the man in front of her.

“Cassidy?” she asked after a moment.

Cordy shook her head, “She got away, Buffy. I’m sorry.”

Buffy nodded, her jaw setting in anger. “Don’t be. I’ll find her.”
Waiting it Out by Ashlee
Chapter 18 – Waiting it Out


Buffy was on pins and needles for the next twenty-four hours. She had refrained from calling Wesley or Spike’s friends because she was terrified. She was scared that he wouldn’t wake up, but she was also scared that he would. Angel told her it was ridiculous to be worried, that he wouldn’t be mad at her for doing what she felt should be done, but Buffy was still anxious. She had been pacing the room for hours. The time that Spike should have woken up had come and gone, and Buffy chewed on her thumbnail as she stared out the window, into the night.

“Buffy?”

Spinning around to face the bed at the sound of the weak voice, a tumultuous feeling of emotions overwhelmed her. “Spike?” Rushing over to the bed, she practically threw herself at him. “Oh God, I was so worried,” she cried, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Pulling her away to look into her eyes, Spike frowned when he noticed how puffy and red they were. Tilting his head to the side, one hand stretched up and tenderly traced the dark shadows that tinted the delicate skin under her eyes. “What happened?”

Sniffling as she looked at him, Buffy let more tears spill over, clutching at him. Spike stared at her, realizing she looked about fifteen years old with the fresh tears flowing. “You’re okay,” she whispered, gently touching him to make sure he wasn’t a figment of her imagination.

“I’m okay, pet. What happened?”

Watching as Buffy got a panicked look on her face and jumped off the bed to begin pacing the room again, Spike groggily sat up and swung his legs over the edge, trying to stand. He soon found that he was too weak, falling back to the mattress with a soft thump.

“I thought I lost you,” she whispered as she stared out the window. “You were gone and…and it was all my fault. I should have been quicker, I should have warned you to get out of there…but I didn’t.”

“What are you on about?”

Turning to face him, the distress was evident all over her features. “I did what I had to do…what I thought I had to do, anyway.” Buffy paused, contemplating her next words. “I turned you, Spike.”

Staring at her in shock for a full minute while Buffy nervously fidgeted under his gaze, he gasped for unneeded air.

Misinterpreting his reaction, she began pacing again. “I’m sorry,” she cried as the tears started all over again before the babbling began. “I shouldn’t have done it! I-I just didn’t have time to think, and now you probably hate me, and I think maybe you should. I didn’t know what else to do, and the only thing I thought of was the fact that I couldn’t lose you, not yet, not like that. But I know you won’t want to be near me any-”

Buffy was cut off by the weakened Slayer, summoning all his energy to press his lips against hers. Pulling away, Spike looked deep into her eyes. “Love, do us a favor and shut up, okay?” Buffy saw the smile playing on his lips and began to relax a little.

“I didn’t know what else to do, Spike.”

“I know,” he said as he sat down in a nearby chair. “I’m not mad…just need a few minutes before I get used to it.”

“Blood!” she practically yelled.

“What?”

“Blood. You need blood to get your energy back. I’ll be right back.”

Smiling when Buffy nearly flew from the room, Spike he leaned back in the chair, shutting his eyes. ‘Well,’ he thought. ‘You got your wish, mate. Now you have to pull it together before she gets back or she’ll think she did something wrong.’

Taking a few deep, unneeded breaths to calm down his jumbled emotions, he looked up to see Buffy entering the room with a mug in her hands.

“It might seem a little strange at first, but you get used to it.”

Watching Buffy pace the room again as he drained the contents of the mug, he pulled back to look at it with a thoughtful expression. It really wasn’t that bad- even if he preferred something a little stronger. The dizziness and disorientation were gone, letting him stand up and make his way over to Buffy while her back was to him. Slowly wrapping his arms around her waist, he rested his head on her shoulder as they stared out the window in silence.

“Do you hate me?” she asked quietly.

Spike wasn’t surprised by the question, but he still wasn’t happy that she could think he would hate her.

“No, baby,” he said soothingly. “I get to be with you forever. I could never hate you.”

Feeling relief wash over her at his softly spoken words, she closed her eyes, leaning against him.

“Was it Cassidy?” he asked.

“You don’t remember?”

“I remember feeling like a two by four crashed into my skull. After that, everything’s a little bit hazy.”

“Yeah…it was her. I tried to get to you, but I was too weak to get away. Cordy managed to help me while Angel held off the rest, and Cassidy was already gone by the time I got to you.”

“So we find her,” he said as he burrowed more into her shoulder, feeling desire and hunger race through him when she subtly tilted her neck.

“That’s the plan. Angel and Cordy are planning to come to Sunnydale with us for a few days. I doubt Cassidy’s the type to just walk away. Knowing that she left at least three of us standing has to be bugging her.”

“Strength in numbers then. Did you call Wes?”

Staying quiet for a minute, Buffy swallowed hard. “No, um, I couldn’t…I didn’t know what to tell him…I wasn’t sure it had worked.”

“You thought I died,” Spike commented casually as she snapped around to look at him.

“Don’t sound so disappointed that you’re standing here, Spike!”

“Oh, come on, don’t act like this. I didn’t mean it like that and you know it. I was just saying what I knew you were trying to say.”

“Well, you’re acting like you would have rather died in that alley and not…”

Trailing off, Buffy gasped when she felt Spike’s fangs sink into her neck, taking deep pulls of blood. Twining her hands through his hair for a moment, she knew he needed the connection that she was giving him. She was his sire and he needed the bond that he was forging.

They both did.

Kicking off her pants, Buffy eagerly reached between them, working on his belt buckle and freeing his erection. Hearing Spike’s appreciative growl against her neck, she gasped when he picked her up, slamming her against the wall- his fangs still imbedded in her neck, his cock thrust inside of her.

No longer taking any blood, he merely took pleasure in being close to her, ramming into her willing body, causing the walls to shake as she writhed and cried out in his arms. Pulling away from her neck, he looked into her eyes, never stopping his movements. “Am I hurting you?”

“No,” she whimpered, feeling the loss of him against her neck. “God, no.”

Slamming his hips against hers, Spike lowered his head, sinking his fangs into her breast, wanting to mark her wherever he could. Pulling on her blood, he groaned when her muscles clamped around him, signaling her climax, seconds before she arched her back and screamed out her release, panting when Spike thrust into her once more, spilling himself inside her welcoming body.

Calming down after a moment, Spike gently tilted her chin up to look into his eyes. “I’m sorry, pet…didn’t mean to get so carried away.”

“Feel free to get carried away anytime,” she said with a smile.

“Do you love me?” he asked after a moment, watching as she widened her eyes in disbelief.

“How can you ask me that? Of course I love you. I’ve never loved anyone like this.”

“Just wanted to hear you say it, pet,” he said with a smile as his lips descended to hers, brushing against them softly. “I love you, too,” he whispered before deepening the kiss. Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck, relaxing for the first time in hours. She felt the tension leave her body as he proceeded to reassure her with his gently probing kisses that she had done the right thing.

* * * * *

A few hours later, Buffy and Spike left the room and made their way down to the lobby of the hotel. Angel and Cordy sat behind the reception area, going through files as they came into view.

“So, he’s up,” Cordy said, hiding her smile when she noticed the turtleneck that Buffy was wearing and the long-sleeved shirt that Spike had on. Obviously they had been up for awhile. “How are you feeling, Spike?”

“Like my blood was drained and I was hit by a truck.”

“That about sums it up,” Angel said, never looking up.

“What are you two working on?” Buffy asked, walking over and hopping up on the counter as they worked.

“I called Giles and told him what happened,” Angel said. “He was able to get some older files about Cassidy from some contacts at the Watcher's Council.”

“Anything useful?” Spike asked, leaning next to Buffy, idly rubbing her thigh.

“Not really. She was captured about forty years ago and kept in a controlled area for experimental purposes.”

“Like what?” she asked.

“Testing her strengths,” Cordy said. “Her reflexes. Up until about twenty years ago, she was used to train all the potential Slayers. They would have crossbows trained on her while she was fighting the potentials.”

“Explains why she has such a hatred for Slayers,” Spike replied.

“More like the Council,” Buffy mumbled, picking up a file.

“You don’t think she’d go back to England, do you?” Angel asked her.

“Not yet. I think that she considers us to be unfinished business. She’s probably somewhere regrouping before she comes after us again.”

“Yeah, she didn’t seem to be much for the fighting,” Cordy commented.

“Nope, she likes to sit by and watch everyone else do the work. It’s more fun if she can work her mind control and get what she wants,” Buffy said. “So we catch up to her before she can find some more lackeys to do the work for her.”

“And how do you propose we do that?” Spike asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Bait,” she replied, looking him in the eye.

“I know you’re not talking about yourself!” he exclaimed.

“Who else? She hates me, she knows I’m still standing, and she wants me to suffer. I don’t see many other options, do you?”

“Buffy, I’m not risking you getting staked because some psycho Council experiment has it in her head to come after you!”

“You really don’t have a choice, Spike.”

“I bloody well do!”

“Buffy’s right,” Angel spoke up, watching the pair argue. “Cassidy will want to come after her, and chances are she’s got some reserve vampires waiting in the wings to take her out. All we have to do is build our own reserves.”

“Like who, Angel?” Cordy asked.

“We could find the new Slayer.”

“That could take weeks,” Spike said.

“No…I’ve got it!” Buffy said excitedly. “Spike, call Wesley, explain everything that’s going on…but don’t be dramatic about it. We don’t want to give him a heart attack. Tell him to call Gunn and Fred and give them a vague description of what’s going on. We’ll get back to them later,” she said as she jogged up the stairs. “You three work out some of the details- I’ll be back down in an hour.”

The three remaining looked at each other before each giving a shrug and returning to their work. With a heavy sigh, Spike picked up the phone and dialed his Watcher’s number.
Plan B by Ashlee
Chapter 19 – Plan B


The next day, the four met in the lobby again. Spike’s conversation with Wesley had gone better than expected. He was obviously shocked that his Slayer was now a vampire, but surprisingly, he was happy with Buffy’s decision to turn him. Spike had been shocked at the relief in his voice, but he shook it off.

“So when are we leaving for Sunnydale?” Angel asked as he gathered some weapons together.

“Whenever we find out if Cassidy is there.”

“Hate to break it to you, pet, but if she is there, she’s not going to walk up to Gunn and Fred and announce her presence,” Spike replied. “How exactly are you planning on finding her?”

“I’d have to say whenever I pinpoint her location.”

All four turned at the voice in the doorway before Buffy let out a squeal and went running for the woman standing there. “Willow!”

The women hugged for several minutes while the others watched. Buffy was the first to pull away. “You made it! I wasn’t sure when I left that message yesterday if you got it, but here you are, and you look great, by the way.”

Willow smiled at the friend she hadn’t seen in years. “Of course I made it, Buff. Nobody messes with my best friend and gets away with it.”

The two women walked toward the group where Willow and Cordy shared a friendly hug. “How’ve you been, Cordy?”

“Oh, you know, run a business, slay some demons…the usual. You?”

Willow laughed. “Not nearly as busy, but I’m good.”

“Where’s Tara?” Buffy asked.

“She couldn’t make it, but she sends her love,” Willow said before turning to the taller man in the room. “Angel, it’s been forever.”

“Yeah…over ten years. I’m glad you’ve been doing okay.”

“You, too,” she said with a friendly smile before turning and facing the last man in the group. “And you must be the newest Slayer/vampire to our group. I’m Willow.”

“Nice to meet you, Red. Buffy’s told me a lot about you.”

“Really? I was beginning to think she had forgotten about me,” she said, shooting a look at her friend. Buffy looked down sheepishly as Willow stared at her.

“So, you’re going to help locate our troublesome vamp?” Angel asked.

“Yep. Normally I need something of hers for the locator spell, but we’ll just have to make do. It may take a little longer, but we’ll find her,” she said as she began pulling objects out of her bag to begin the spell.

After several minutes of chanting, Willow stared at the map in front of her as a bright light began shining on it. “Yep, she’s in Sunnydale…and it looks like she’s not alone.”

“How can you tell?” Spike asked, looking over her shoulder at the light.

“It’s a lot brighter than it’s supposed to be. It’s also a little bit bigger, indicating she’s planning something or assembling something.”

“Great,” Spike muttered. “So it’s back to Sunnyhell then. Bloody priceless.”

“I thought you wanted to go back?” Buffy asked.

“Not if Miss High and Mighty is assembling the troops, waiting for a massacre.”

“Yeah, but you’re forgetting something,” Buffy said. “We have a secret weapon.”

“And what’s that?”

“You,” she said casually.

Spike raised an eyebrow. “Me?”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Angel agreed. “Cassidy took off before she saw that you were turned. She’ll never be expecting you.”
“Yep,” Buffy said proudly before turning to Willow. “What about you, Will? You heading home now?”

“What? And miss my friend kick some serious butt? Not likely, missy.”

Buffy smiled. “Great! Let’s head out, then.”

After the bags and weapons were loaded into Angel’s convertible, Buffy snuggled into Spike’s side. They were sharing the backseat with Willow and some crossbows. Spike eagerly put his arm around Buffy and pulled her closer, kissing her temple. “I don’t know if I like this,” he whispered as Angel started the car.

“Don’t like what?”

“I don’t want to risk losing you.”

“You’re not going to lose me, Spike. I can handle whatever she throws my way. Besides, I have you and the gang watching my back. Plus,” she added, looking at Willow. “A mega-strong witch. So you see, nothing to worry about.”

Spike clenched his jaw but didn’t say anything else as they left the city.
Home Again by Ashlee
Chapter 20 – Home Again


Two hours later, Angel pulled the car into the driveway of the mansion on Crawford Street. He hadn’t sold it after all these years, so it was decided that the group would stay there. They quickly unloaded the car and made their way into the front room of the mansion.

Buffy helped Willow set up her supplies as she prepared to do a location spell to pinpoint Cassidy’s location. As Willow worked, Buffy watched Spike pace the length of the room. When he started to become distracting to everyone else, Buffy got up and led him out the front door. “Okay, spill it.”

Spike resumed his pacing in front of her. “Something feels off, Buffy. I don’t like this.”

“Spike, we went over this no more than two hours ago. Everything will be fine-”

“Everything won’t be soddin’ fine!” he yelled. “Buffy, last time we went up against this chit and her minions, I died!”

Staying quiet for a minute as she stared at the ground, she tried to control her emotions. “And you’re still here.”

“Yeah, and that’s turning out bloody wonderful,” Spike said sarcastically, causing Buffy to look up at him with wide, watery eyes. Realizing what he said, he moved to take her into his arms, frowning when she stepped away from him. “Buffy, love, I didn’t mean it that way. I just-”

“Forget it,” she said with a wave of her hand.

“Buffy, I-”

“No, i-it’s okay. I understand.”

“Then why won’t you look at me?”

Buffy swallowed hard before looking up with a fake smile. “See, it’s fine.”

“I just meant I haven’t felt useful the past couple of days,” he said softly, trying to make her understand.

“I know,” she said with a nod. “I, uh, I’m going patrolling.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“No, it’s not safe.”

“And it’s so safe for you?”

“Spike, if Cassidy or one of her followers sees you, it will blow your cover. On the other hand, if they see me alone, it will get back to her that I’m in town.”
Spike clenched his jaw as he looked at her. “One hour.”

“Okay,” Buffy said with a genuine smile at his concern. Walking over to him, she wrapped her arms around his neck, giving him a tender kiss good-bye. “I’ll be back in an hour.”

Nodding his agreement, he watched her walk out of sight before turning and heading back into the house.

* * * * *

After patrolling for forty-five minutes and had only staking one vampire, Buffy decided to call it a night. At least Spike would be happy that she would be early. Turning and cutting through the cemetery, she stopped when she heard a noise behind her.

“Well, if it isn’t the infamous Slayer.”

Turning around to face the large vampire behind her, she raised an eyebrow. “Do I know you?”

“Oh, no. Not yet. You see, we have a friend in common.”

“If you’re talking about Cassidy, we really don’t.”

“That’s not the way she tells it. I hear the two of you did quite a bit of patrolling over the past few weeks.”
“Yeah, the most thrilling nights of my life,” she said mockingly.

“Well, here’s the thing,” the vamp said as he advanced on her. “She has requested the honor of your presence. So if you wouldn’t mind coming with me-”

“Well, thanks for asking so nicely,” Buffy replied, her voice dripping with false delight at the request. “You see, the thing is, I don’t really feel like walking into a lair and facing the end of my immortality, so if you don’t mind, send her my regards.”

Smiling at the look of confusion that crossed over the man’s face, she narrowed her eyes when he shrugged. “Well, I preferred to do it this way anyway.”

Buffy watched as he withdrew a gun from his pocket and aimed at her. Before she could react, two tranquilizer darts were shot into her stomach. Swaying slightly, she tried her hardest to remain upright and coherent, but found that she was fighting a losing battle. Before long, everything was black.

* * * * *

Groggily trying to shake her head and clear it of the fog that resided as she slowly began to wake up, Buffy managed to focus her eyes. Surveying the tiny room she was in- a thick, metal door was directly in front of her, and the walls appeared to be all cement blocks. Feeling the shackles of heavy chains connecting her to a wall behind her, she was able to come to her senses a little more. Noticing the two vampires standing to her left, she immediately jumped to her feet.

Scowling when she saw Cassidy standing next to the male vamp that had pulled the dart gun on her, she restrained the urge from lunging forward, knowing it wouldn’t do any good. “You know, if there’s anything I hate worse than a cheater, it’s someone who has to use toys to beat their opponent. Couldn’t take me in a fair fight, huh?”

Smiling when the man advanced on her, she rolled her eyes when he was intercepted by Cassidy. “Well, Buffy,” she said. “I wanted to be nice and ask you to come here, but you decided to play hardball.”

“And you do realize that I have mobility in these shackles, right?” Buffy asked with a raised eyebrow. “You’re not coming anywhere near me with a stake.”

“Don’t need to,” Cassidy said with a smile. “You see, we have that problem covered. I wanted to see you die, maybe not necessarily cause it, but I do want to see it. So, on the other side of that rather thick metal door is a sheet of mystical glass. I get to watch your horrible, gruesome death with no worries of you getting loose.”

“And just what is my horrible, gruesome death going to consist of?” Buffy asked, still maintaining her confident disposition and bored tone.

“Oh, did I forget to mention? I’m sorry, you see, it involves that.”

Looking up, Buffy felt a trickle of fear when she noticed the panes of glass about fifty feet above her that lined the ceiling of the room.

“You see,” Cassidy continued. “In about two hours, I thought that meeting the sunrise would be a fitting end to the vampire with a soul. Maybe the same fate will meet Angel.”

Buffy suddenly remembered her friends. They had to be looking for her. Willow must have done a locator spell on her, and they had to be on their way. Watching as Cassidy shut the sliding door with a reverberating slam, she turned her gaze to the other vampire in the room, debating her options. She could feel her gag reflex take effect when she decided on her best one.

“You know,” she said in a sickeningly sweet tone. “These cuffs are awfully tight. I guess there’s no way you could loosen them a little bit?”

Seeing the vamp swallow when she gave him a bright smile, Buffy coyly bit her lip, glancing shyly at the floor. “Um, no, there’s, uh, there’s really only the two positions.”

“That’s too bad. Listen, I didn’t mean what I said about the tranquilizers earlier. I was just trying to get under her skin, you know?” Leaning forward slightly, she batted her eyelashes in his direction.

“Yeah,” he said, getting closer to her to get a good look down her shirt.

‘God, you’d think after so many years of living, vamps would learn a thing or two about the opposite sex,’ Buffy thought. Outwardly, she gave him a shy smile as he advanced on her. “I was wondering if you could do me a favor?”

“Sure,” he said, sounding like an eager schoolboy.

‘I really am going to throw up when I say this,’ she thought, swallowing hard to calm her nerves.

“Well, it’s just, I don’t let myself get close to a lot of people,” she said, looking up at him through her lashes. “Physically, I mean. And I was thinking, since, well, I only have a few hours left, maybe you and I could…”

‘Yep, here it comes- up-chuck reflex.’

“…get a little more intimate.” Buffy breathed out a sigh as she was able to say it as provocatively as possible while still not choking.

“Well,” he said. “I’d love to, it’s just Cass-”

“And here I am, all chained to a wall and restricted.”

‘Okay, Buff,’ she said to herself. ‘Keep laying it on this thick, and I’ll stake you myself.’ As it was though, she smiled when he got within touching distance of her. Buffy slowly reached out and ran her hands up the larger man's chest.

“Well, since it’s your last request,” he said.

Buffy had to bite her lip to keep from laughing. As she felt his roaming hands harshly squeeze her butt while the other ran over her chest, she felt rage fill her. In less than a second, she had the chain wrapped around his neck and jerked it towards her until she heard a satisfying snap.

“On second thought,” Buffy said as she dropped the incapacitated vamp to the ground. “I don’t think my boyfriend would like it very much,” she said with false sweetness. Quickly rifling around in his pockets, Buffy made sure he was unconscious as she came across the key to the shackles and unlocked them. Rubbing her sore wrists, she ran to the heavy door and pulled on it.

“Damn it,” she said softly when it wouldn’t budge.

“Buffy!”

Spinning around in a full circle when she heard her name, she stopped, listening intently with a frown on her face.

“Buffy!”

“Willow?”

“Yeah, Buff, it’s me. Are you okay?”

“Where the hell are you?”

“At the mansion.”

“Okay,” she replied. “Definitely wigging out now.”

“Telepathic link. Now where are you? Are you okay?”

“I’m okay, a little hazy from the drugs they gave me, but okay. I just got out of the restraints they had me in, but I think I’m trapped in a warehouse. Can’t you do a spell or something?”

“Something’s blocking it. I almost couldn’t get through on the link. Spike’s freaking out, by the way.”

Buffy smiled at the casual tone of her friend. “Tell him I’m fine. Wills, I’m stuck in a room with a glass ceiling. Cassidy wants the joy of watching me go up in flames at sunrise. I need to get outta here.”

“Okay, we have a little longer than sunrise, before the sun reaches the top of the ceiling, unless there’s windows in the room.”

“Willow, if there was a window I could reach, don’t you think I’d be through it by now?”

“Good point. Okay. Angel and Cordy are out looking for you right now. I’ll get in touch with them, and we’ll head to the warehouse district. Anything else you can tell me?”

“Um, heavy walls. Sliding metal door that leads into the main part of the building. Ceiling’s about five stories up.”

“Okay, we’ll be there soon. Hopefully I can do a spell when we get there and get a better location on you.”

“Okay, and be careful, Wills. I don’t know how many vamps Cassidy has this time. I’ve only seen one, and he’s currently paralyzed on the floor. Oh! Don’t let them see Spike. She’s still after me and Angel.”

“Will do! We’ll be there soon, Buff. Don’t worry.”

Buffy let out a sigh as she slid down the wall. Nothing to do now but sit and wait.
Rescue by Ashlee
Chapter 21 – Rescue


Forty-five minutes later, Buffy was nervously hugging her knees and rocking back and forth on the hard floor. She was becoming increasingly edgy as the minutes ticked by. Hearing a noise, Buffy looked up and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Spike looking down at her. Holding up a hand to signal he’d be right back, he disappeared as she stood up and anxiously rubbed her hands over her arms.

A minute later, the sound of glass shattering filled the room as Spike jumped through to land on the floor, close to Buffy. He held the end of a rope as he looked at her with a mixture of anger and love shining through in his eyes. “Tell me, pet, is there a reason I shouldn’t say ‘I told you so’?” Not waiting for a response, Spike lunged at Buffy, pulling her close to leave a searing kiss on her lips. Pulling away a moment later, he narrowed his eyes on her. “Wait ‘til I get you home.”

Feeling the fatigue set in when he went to check the rope, she felt the tears fill her eyes. Wrapping her arms around Spike’s waist, she told herself not to cry- to stay strong.

Hesitating for a second before wrapping his arms around the woman he loved in a strong grip, Spike buried his face in her hair. Breathing in the familiar scent as his emotions threatened to overwhelm him. “I almost lost you, baby,” he said in a choked whisper. “I can’t lose you.” Pulling away, he cupped her face in his hands. “I won’t lose you!”

Reaching up to put her hands over his, she gently squeezed them, offering him a tender smile. “I’m still here.”

“Another few hours and you wouldn’t have been. What if Willow hadn’t been here? What would we have done?”

“Spike,” she said softly. “You can’t say ‘what if’ to everything. You’re here, and I’m okay. I’m okay,” she repeated with a nod.

“We need to get out of here,” he said softly, needing to get his mind off his thoughts.

“Yeah, where is everyone?”

“Angel and Cordy are standing watch about two buildings over. Willow’s on the roof with Wesley. Gunn and Fred are across the street, making sure we don’t get any company. We figured it was best if they got the closest position since they’re not as recognizable.”

“Okay. Do you have a stake on you?”

Spike pulled one out of his back pocket. “I’m guessing our unconscious friend on the floor did something you didn’t like.”

“Grabbed my ass, that’s about it,” Buffy said with a shrug.

Growling as he stalked over to the vamp and plunged the stake into his heart, he turned and tossed the stake to Buffy while the dust settled before walking back to the rope. “Right then. Ready to go?”

Buffy laughed as she grabbed the rope. “Now, Spike, that wasn’t very nice. I was responsible for leading him on.” Before waiting for a response, she began scaling the rope, laughing when she heard a much louder growl come from the man she loved.

“And just what the bloody hell does that mean?” he yelled, quickly pulling himself up to the roof.

Turning around to look at him, she smiled as he swung his legs onto the roof, pulling himself to a standing position and raising an eyebrow in her direction. “It means I had to use some feminine wiles to get what I wanted.”

“And what, pray tell, would those be?” he asked as he pulled the rope up with him.

Biting her lip as she walked over to Spike and seductively ran her hands over his abs and chest, she gave him the same smile she’d used on the vamp earlier. “What do you think?” she asked suggestively. Laughing at the raised eyebrow he gave her in response, she shook her head as she giggled. “It means I wanted the key to unlock those shackles. You don’t trust me?”

“No,” Spike replied with a smile, walking past her. “No more than I have to.”

“Hey!” she cried indignantly, smacking him on the shoulder as he passed. Spike laughed as she followed him to meet Willow and Wesley on the other side of the roof.

Giving her friend a hug when she got close to her, Buffy finally breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Wills. I don’t know what I would have done without you.”

“Don’t mention it. But I think it’s time we got outta here. There’s a lot of undead activity, and I don’t really feel like facing them with just us. Strength in numbers, and all that.”

“Yeah, I’m hoping we have weapons,” Buffy replied.

“What do you take us for?” Wesley asked with a smile.

Buffy smiled and followed the others over to the ladder, built in to the side of the building. Spike headed down first, making the ten-foot jump from the end of the ladder to the ground below as he skillfully caught Willow and Buffy, taking the impact of their landings. “Sorry, Wes, you’re
on your own.”

“Why, thank you,” Wesley said as he jumped the remaining distance.

The three slowly made their way down the long row of buildings, seeing Angel and Cordelia up ahead as Gunn and Fred met up with them.

“You okay?” Angel asked Buffy as they got within hearing distance.

“Right as rain,” Buffy said with a small smile. “So, what kind of weaponry are we talking about?”

Reaching into a rolled-up blanket, Angel extracted a sword, tossing it to Buffy. Catching it in a firm hold, Buffy tested the weight and gave it a few practice swings. “Nice,” she said with a nod of her head. “Wouldn’t have said no to the rocket launcher, though.”

“You have a rocket launcher?” Spike asked, seeing the smiles on the girls' faces.

“Actually, it’s been misplaced,” Buffy said, looking sheepish.

“I think Giles has it,” Willow spoke up.

Spike turned to Angel. “You wanna tell me, or should I guess?”

“Long story. Involves the time I turned evil and tried to rid the world of humanity. Buffy was there to stop the demon I assembled.”

“Assembled? No,” Spike said, shaking his head, busying himself with unloading one of the bags. “Never mind. I don’t want to know.”

The group laughed as Spike tossed various weapons to his companions, tucking away another stake for himself and straightening to his full height. “Well, kiddies, time to make an entrance.”
Final Confrontation by Ashlee
Chapter 22 – Final Confrontation


Willow led the group to a side door of the factory, quickly doing a spell to unlock the door while Spike stood further away, the shadows of the night concealing him from prying eyes. Buffy could hear his grumbling about not being the first to go in and had to smile.

As Willow got the door unlocked, she carefully opened it and let the others go in first. Giving Spike a nod, she followed them and quickly scaled a ladder to the balcony with Fred, wanting to have an advantage over Cassidy. Willow was busy performing a spell to counteract the thrall with Fred’s help. Though Spike was immune to it now that he was dead, it could still cause trouble for the rest of the living members of the group. Spike slipped through the door and stayed close to the wall of the tiny hallway.

“Okay, anyone see Cassidy?” Buffy asked as they looked at more than fifty vampires milling around the main floor. Most were napping or playing cards while a few walked the perimeter of the building.

“I don’t think she’s in this part of the factory,” Spike whispered.

“Makes sense. I don’t think she’d want to lower herself to talking to her workers. As long as they take orders, she's probably holed up in a more luxurious setting,” Buffy commented.

“I don’t think anything in this neighborhood would be considered luxurious,” Cordy said, wrinkling her nose.

“Second,” Gunn agreed with a nod.

The group froze when a vampire walked by the small entrance. Before he could turn and check the hallway, the blade of Buffy’s sword flew through the air, turning him to dust before he could see them. Looking up at Willow, who was ten feet above them, Buffy received a thumbs up that they hadn’t been noticed.

“Okay, guys. I think we’re just gonna have to jump in and do this,” she said, looking at the group.

At her nod, Angel and Cordy followed her out of the hall, and each immediately were thrown into a fight. Gunn, Fred, and Wesley took the opposite end of the building as Spike watched, frustrated that he couldn’t come out of the shadows. He kept a careful eye on his friends, but his attention was focused on Buffy as she fought.

‘If she gets in trouble, sod the plan,’ he thought, gritting his teeth as he watched Buffy elegantly swing the sword at two vampires. The group began to thin to two dozen vampires, and Spike saw a door swing open to his left. Watching as Cassidy emerged and felt like his jaw was going to break as he held himself back from attacking her himself.

“Well, this is a surprise,” Cassidy said, watching the group attacking her minions. The remaining dozen quickly made their way over to their leader as Cassidy stared at Buffy. “I’ll give you credit- I never thought you would escape, but now that you have, you shouldn’t have come back.”

“Go shove it, honey. I don’t run away from a fight,” Buffy replied with a falsely sweet smile.

“Oh,” Cassidy replied. “So that’s why you ran away to L.A.”

Buffy smile broadened at Cassidy’s weak attempts to get under her skin. “Everyone needs a vacation. A little fun in the sun, I’m sure you can understand,” she replied in a mocking tone.

“You don’t seem too upset that your lover died.”

Shooting a quick glance at Spike’s hiding place, she gave him a small smile, seeing him smirk and wink at her. “What can I say,” Buffy said with a shrug. “You win a few, you lose a few.”
The six quickly rushed the group of vamps as Cassidy stood stunned at the words that came out of Buffy’s mouth. Buffy watched Spike come up from behind and stake two vamps before they knew he was there. As the group dwindled, he staked another while Buffy fought four, and the others quickly worked on disbanding another three.

Tapping Cassidy on the shoulder, she turned and was met with a fist to the jaw. Quickly got to her feet, she stood in shock as she stared at Spike. “You’re dead.”

“You’re a clever one, pet,” Spike said as he hit her again. “I could have staked you already, but I wanted to make sure you knew it was me that was turning you to dust. Kind of poetic, don’t you think?”

Cassidy began to fight back as Spike landed a kick to her side. Feeling someone come up behind him, he turned and began fending off another vampire. Quickly staking him, he turned to face Cassidy again, looking around the room, confused that she wasn’t there. Catching a glimpse of movement, he turned and saw her holding Buffy with a knife to her throat. Running over to the pair, Spike heard the anger in Buffy’s voice. “That won’t kill me.”

“No,” Cassidy said. “Maybe not, but it will incapacitate you long enough for me to stake you. Or I could simply keep cutting until you’re dust. Which do you prefer?”

Rushing toward them, he stopped when Cassidy pulled a stake out of her pocket and held it to Buffy’s heart. “Uh uh, Spike. You don’t want me to do something impulsive now, would you?”

Staring at Buffy in panic, he watched as she looked up to the next level and gave a brief nod.

“Separate!”

Hearing Willow’s voice, Spike smiled when Buffy and Cassidy were propelled twenty feet apart. Rushing to Cassidy, not wanting her to get away again, he landed a level kick to her head, bringing his stake out and plunging it into her heart. “How’s that for dramatic irony,” he said to her shocked face just before she exploded into dust. Rising from his kneeling position, he brushed off his hands and turned to face the group. Frowning when he saw Buffy still laying on the floor, Spike ran over to her.

“Buffy, are you…”

Trailing off Spike cut himself off when he saw the blood pooling out onto the dingy floor around her. “Buffy!”

At the sound of Spike’s frantic voice, the others ran over to the couple. Gently raising her head, he saw the gash that covered more than half her neck, feeling panic grip him. “Buffy! Answer me, baby!”

“Spike, we need to get her out of here,” Cordy said gently from behind him.

He heard Willow gasp as she came up behind them. “Oh goddess! The knife must have gotten her anyway. I’m so sorry,” she cried as tears streamed down her face.

“Okay!” Angel shouted. “Everything is going to be okay- she just needs blood.” Turning to Willow, he continued, “Willow, I need you to go get some blood. It’ll help her heal faster. We need to…”

Angel trailed off when he noticed everyone staring at something behind him. Turning to see a semi-conscious Buffy propped up by Spike and sinking her teeth into his neck- everyone watched entranced at the intimate display as Buffy sucked hungrily from his neck, taking in several swallows of blood before slowly pulling away and reverting back to her human features.

Breathing in unneeded gulps of air, Spike pressed his forehead to hers. “You’re going to be okay, baby,” he said in a weakened voice.

“Spike, you shouldn’t have done that-”

“Shhh,” he whispered, looking into her eyes. “I’ll be fine.”

Groggily watching Spike take off his duster and rip the long sleeve off the shirt he was wearing, she gave him a gentle smile when he folded it in half and pressed it against her neck, tenderly holding it in place.

“Come on, guys. Let’s go,” Cordy said, helping Spike to his feet and bracing him between Wesley and herself as Gunn helped Angel pick up Buffy.

Once they were all safely in the car, Buffy snuggled closer to Spike, even though she was sitting in his lap. “I love you,” she mumbled as her eyes closed.

Wrapping an arm around her shoulders as he kissed the top of her head, he sighed. “I love you, too. Get some rest.”

Smiling when she burrowed closer to him and yawned, he waited a few minutes until she drifted off to sleep before pulling the cloth away from her neck to inspect the damage, breathing a sigh of relief that it was already starting to heal. Putting the fabric back in place, he wrapped his arms around her. “You’re going to be just fine, love.”
Together Forever by Ashlee
Chapter 23 – Together Forever


Buffy slept through much of the day and into the night. Spike woke her up in separate intervals to make sure she was okay and give her some blood. She was exhausted after being kidnapped, fighting, and getting injured, but she was strong. Spike stayed in the room with her while Willow and Cordy brought them blood. Now, as he lay next to her, he watched her begin to stir from her sleep before slowly opening her eyes. “Hey there, sleepy head,” he said softly.

“Hey,” Buffy replied in a hoarse voice.

“How are you feeling?”

“Like I had my throat slit.”

Smiling at her mild attempt at humor, he pulled her closer. “You’re going to be fine. The wound’s already closed.”

“Compliments of the Slayer/vampire healing package. Super-speedy recovery time.”

“Yeah,” he mumbled, gently brushing the hair away from her face. “It’s over. Nothing to worry about anymore.”

“There’s always something to worry about,” Buffy said with a sigh. “But at least Cassidy’s out of the way.”

“And we’re together.”

“And we’re together,” she repeated with a smile.

“So what now, baby? Move back into your place?”

“You want to live with me?”

“Well…I’ve thought about it…and considering I’m stuck with you for eternity, I figured we might as well learn to live in the same place-”

Feeling Buffy’s lips assaulting his, he eagerly wrapped his arms around her small waist. Pulling her closer as they devoured each other, Spike suddenly realized that what they were doing wouldn’t be beneficial to her healing, hesitantly pulling away a moment later. Tenderly tucking a long strand of hair behind Buffy’s ear, he pressed another tender kiss to her forehead. “I’m here, baby. For the long haul. I’m not leaving, and I’m not letting you leave again.”

“Good to know,” she said softly. “So what’s the final verdict? Did you kill her?”

“You know it, love,” he said with a smile.

“Everyone’s okay?” she asked. “Everyone got out alright?”

“Yep, all safe and accounted for. Willow’s hanging around for a couple of days. Cordy and the poof-”

“Angel,” Buffy corrected with a smile.

“Right…him…they’re heading back to Los Angeles in a few days. They wanted to make sure you’re okay. Oh, and you wanna know the weird thing? Gunn and Fred are going with them.”

“What?”

“Yeah, apparently the…Angel…was impressed with Gunn’s fighting the other night and offered him a job in the agency.”

“How does Fred fit in?”

“She’s the brains. Works out prophecies, does some research, things that are right up her alley.”

“But what about her helping out Wesley?”

“Wesley’s not a Watcher anymore, pet,” Spike replied. “A new Slayer is being tracked down, and Wes is technically retired. He’s still got the store.”

“But they’re your friends, Spike. Won’t you miss them?”

Spike shrugged. “Sure I’ll miss them, but I’ll have you.” Buffy giggled when he pulled her into his lap. “Besides, they’ll only be two hours and a freeway away.”

“That’s true,” she said with a smile as he kissed her neck.

At the knock on the door, both turned to see the entire group standing in the doorway. “Sorry to interrupt,” Angel said.

Buffy smiled at her friends. “Hey, guys. Sorry I’ve been so out of it.”

“Well, I think we can forgive you, what with having your throat cut and all,” Fred replied with a smile.

“We have some more news on Cassidy,” Wesley said.

Buffy and Spike both froze. “But she’s dead. I staked her myself,” Spike said, staring at the older man.

“Yes, but I’m talking about her,” Wesley replied as he handed a file to the couple. Buffy and Spike flipped through it as Wesley continued, “Her name’s not even Cassidy. It was changed when she was turned, much like Angel’s was. Her real name was Rose, and she was the typical vampire until she was captured by the Council. Unfortunately, they were not the only ones to do the studying- Cassidy studied them as well. She learned a lot of tricks of the trade while she was imprisoned, including the magic she would need to perform to put someone under a mild thrall. Since she only tested this when she escaped, Spike was her next target.”

“But since she was an amateur, she was never able to build the advanced skills to completely entrance him,” Buffy said with a nod of understanding.

Spike glared at her. “I already told you that’s what happened.”

“I know,” she said with a smile. “But it’s nice to hear if from a different source, that’s all.”

“Anyway,” Wesley continued. “Before she got to Sunnydale, she used another trick she picked up, which was to perform a glamour and appear as Spike’s true love.”

“The doppelganger effect,” Buffy said with a smile to Spike. “That means, it’s me! I’m your true love.”

“You just now figuring this out?” he asked with an amused look. Buffy silenced him with a quick kiss.

“And because glamour’s are easy to perform, she was able to keep the spell going with a simple charm,” Willow broke in. “When the charm breaks, she would have returned to her natural looks. Which explains why she never appeared as herself, because the charms are hard to come by.”

“But after she knew we were looking for her, why would she still be walking around looking like me?” Buffy asked.

“Guess she wanted you to find her,” Spike said.

“Well, that’s not too bright,” she mumbled.

“No one ever said she was bright, love.”

“So that’s it?” Buffy asked. “A few magic tricks, a few lies, and her vampire minions, and that was her big plan?”

“Apparently,” Wesley said. “She was probably planning on returning to England and killing off members of the Council, but she never got that far.”

“How did you find this, Wes?” she asked, referring to the file of information in her hand. “Did the Council actually get off their butts and help you for once?”

“No, Mr. Giles was kind enough to do a little digging for us. He heard you might be in danger and was more than happy to lend his services.”

Buffy smiled. “That’s Giles alright. Always comes through.”

“Well, we’ll let you get some more rest,” Wesley said as he ushered everyone out the door. “We’ll see you when you’re feeling better.”

“Thanks for the help, Wes. Couldn’t have done it without you. Without any of you,” Buffy added as she smiled at her friends.

“Anytime,” Wesley said as he shut the door.

Turning to face her lover, she left a gentle kiss on his lips. “I’m thinking it’s time for a vacation,” she said, pulling away to stare into his deep blue eyes.

“Where to, baby?”

“I don’t know. Nowhere too sunny,” she said with a smile. “I was thinking maybe a trip to England.”

“That can be arranged,” Spike said with a smile before flipping Buffy to land underneath him, smiling at the giggle that erupted from her. Leaning down to leave a searing kiss on her lips, he slowly pulled back to look in her eyes, “You’re mine, Buffy.”

“Yours,” Buffy finally agreed with a smile.



~THE END~
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=4379