I Do by Spikes Bint
Summary: Dawn get's sick and Buffy discovers that their medical insurance has lapsed. She needs money fast...Spike has come to the US to start a new life and escape his painful past, he needs a green card. There is only one solution...marriage
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 7056 Read: 4416 Published: 10/09/2004 Updated: 10/14/2004

1. Chapter 1 by Spikes Bint

2. chapter 2 by Spikes Bint

3. Chapter 3 by Spikes Bint

Chapter 1 by Spikes Bint
Summary: Buffy has been taking care of herself and Dawn for the past year since their mother died. Buffy has had to quit university and get a job to support them both. She works in a diner with her fellow friends Faith, Xander and Willow. When Dawn gets sick, Buffy discovers that their medical insurance has lapsed. She is in desperate need of money as she sinks deeper into debt and her sister needs life saving treatment. She needs money, Spike needs a green card to stay in the US and there is only one solution, marriage…

Pairing: Spike/Buffy A/U All human fic

Rating: PG13 for now, maybe later becoming an R

I do

Chapter 1

“Buffy,”

“Hmmm,”

“Buffy!”

“Oh yeah, sorry Faith what is it?” asked Buffy.

“The gentleman needs serving over at table two. Kinda got my hands full here,” said Faith as she tried to juggle four plates at once.

“Sorry,” said Buffy as she removed her notepad from her apron and walked over to the waiting customer. She yawned tiredly as she stood next to the table.

“Hi gorgeous, late night?” asked the educated English accent.

Buffy smiled at the man that she and the others had named the gentleman. He was in his late forties with sparkling brown eyes and a devilish smile.

“What can I get for you Mr Rayne?” she asked.

“I’ve told you to call me Ethan,” he smiled at her reprovingly.

“And I make it a policy never to call customers by their first names. It can lead to all kinds of badness,” she replied, softening her words with a smile.

“Even the ones that tip as well as me?”

“Especially those kind,” she replied dryly.

“Okay, I will have the English tea and some toast,” he replied, putting his head back behind the newspaper.

Buffy walked off to the serving hatch and put his order in.

“Xander, the gentleman’s usual,” called Buffy.

Xander took the order without looking at it. He got on with the half dozen other orders that had just come through the kitchen. The only good thing to happen to Buffy this year was getting her job here at the Last Resort Diner. Willow already worked here part time in between her classes at university and had put a good word in for her with the manager, Mr Giles.

“I think the old man is sweet on you,” teased Faith, as she motioned towards table two.

“Oh please, he’s old enough to be my father,”

“You wanna know what he asked me the other day.”

“No, but I get the feeling your gonna tell me, and it better not be icky,” sighed Buffy, taking a sip of her coffee.

“He asked me if you were seeing someone,”

Buffy spat out her coffee, some if it hitting Faith.

“Ew B,” said Faith wiping at her uniform.

“Why would he ask that?”

“Cos like most dirty old men, he wants to get into your panties,” replied Faith.

“You mean like most of the men you meet,” said Buffy in irritation.

“Touché the kitten has claws. Fascinating as this conversation is, gotta go. Fatty on table four will expire if he doesn’t get his early morning cheeseburger,”

Buffy shuddered at the idea. She sat down at the counter, relishing her first break of the day. It was only nine a.m. but she had been working since five. She hated that she didn’t get to see her sister off to high school in the mornings, but someone had to keep their little family solvent. Buffy checked her watch; Willow wouldn’t be in for several more hours until uni was over. Willow had been her friend long before she had ever worked here and Buffy really didn’t know what she would have done without her support in those first dark days after her mom had died.

“Hey Buffy, what are you doing tonight?” called Xander called out from the kitchen.

“The answer is no Xander,”

“I haven’t asked why yet,”

“It’s always the same question…will I go out with you,”

“Not this time. I was going to ask if you’d do an extra shift,”

“Oh,” Buffy sighed; the money would come in handy. “Yeah okay,”

“That’s my girl,” he grinned.

“You wish,” she replied smiling back at him.

After all, who wouldn’t want to spend several more hours here in life’s dream? Buffy thought wryly. The diner was clean and cheery, but it was hell on the feet and by the time she got home in the evenings, she was about ready to drop. The bell jangled on the door as another customer entered the diner, Buffy didn’t bother to even look up as she grabbed her notepad off the counter and got to her feet.

She was stopped mid aisle by Faith.

“Hottie at table two with the gentleman, this is my customer,” insisted Faith.

Buffy looked at the table in question, all she could see was the back of a bright blonde haired man seated next to Mr Rayne.

“Whatever, just don’t drool all over the table. It kinda puts the customers off,” said Buffy as she went to get the jug of coffee to start the refill rounds.

“Table two’s order is ready Buff,” said Xander as he handed it over the hatch to her.

“Dammit, looks like you get to service the gorgeous one. Not that I wouldn’t mind giving him a spot of servicing…” said Faith wistfully.

“You’d service anything with a heartbeat,” teased Buffy.

“Hey, it’s a good job I love you so much miss prissy pants. Just because you aren’t getting any doesn’t mean I can’t,” Faith grinned at her.

Buffy walked up to the table and placed Mr Rayne’s tea and toast on its surface. She straightened up and turned to the other occupant of the table.

“Can I get you anything?” she asked him.

He turned around to face her; she was startled for a moment. Faith hadn’t been exaggerating for once when she called him a hottie. He smiled at her and she blushed, hating that his smile could affect her so.

“Are you on the menu?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

“Jeez, that line was only funny the first thousand times I heard it,” said Buffy, unthinkingly. “Oh, I er sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude,”

“Yes you did, so don’t apologise I like honesty in a woman,” he drawled,

Why did she get the distinct feeling he was mocking her in someway? Buffy pushed the thought aside, as she waited for his order.

“Could we have another pot of tea? That okay with you Spike?” asked Ethan.

The other man nodded. Buffy didn’t bother wasting the paper to write it down. She walked off, hastily retreating behind the counter as if her life depended upon it.

“So how did it go? What’s he like?” asked Faith.

“How did what go?” Frowned Buffy in confusion,

“Ya know the guy,”

“He’s a customer Faith, and this is a diner not a bar. I’m here to work not to pick up guys,”

“Yeah, but this job’s gotta have some perks and I want to have a little fun before I get old and grey,”

“Faith you’re 21, like me, so there’s not a lot of danger of that happening for a while. If you must know, he’s English and his name is Spike,” Buffy informed her as she walked off with the pot of tea.

“Spike? Wonder if he’s called that because he’s got a big…”

“Faith, a customer is waiting on table five,” said Mr Giles behind her.

“Oops didn’t see you there, morning,” said Faith as she turned to face her employer.

“Hmm, well is everything okay?”

“Five by five,”

“Well in that case I’ll be in my office,”

Faith gave him a mock salute, at which he rolled his eyes and walked off.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Your tea,” said Buffy as she placed it on the table and walked away from those disturbing blue eyes.

“Thanks Luv,” Spike called after her.

Ethan folded up his paper and looked at Spike while he spooned sugar into his mug of tea and stirred it deliberately.

“Well can you help me?” asked Spike. “I‘m here on a visitor’s visa, there’s only three months left. I don’t want to go back to the UK,”

“Do you have fifty thousand?” asked Ethan.

“Yeah, sold my home and everything I owned when I moved out here,”

“How very nice for you, I don’t want a life story. I provide a service for a fee, a very good one as long as you can pay upfront then we have a deal. I don’t think I need to remind you about keeping your mouth shut about the whole thing,”

“Oh and I was gonna sing it in the treetops,” Spike replied sarcastically. “So where’s the bird I’m going to wed?”

Ethan looked at the young man, unimpressed.

“I’m working on it. Young women don’t just grow on trees Spike, I have to cultivate one,” said Ethan as he watched Buffy wipe down a recently vacated table.

Spike turned to see whom Ethan was watching so intently. He turned back to face the older man, a thought growing in his mind at just who he might be talking about.

“Wouldn’t happen to be five foot four, have blonde hair and green eyes?” asked Spike.

“My, my, you noticed a lot in such a short acquaintance,” drawled Ethan. “She has that sharp desperate look about her,”

Spike frowned. “Not her,”

“Why not?”

“Because as immoral as our little business arrangement is, the poor kid looks like she hasn’t had a break in a long time,” Spike replied.

“And your money could make things a little easier on her, but this is all moot. I haven’t even approached her yet,” said Ethan smoothly.

Spike looked at his watch. “This little meeting is over for now, I have to be somewhere,”

“Good then you can go settle my tab before you leave. I’ll contact you again when everything is in place,”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Spike got up from the table and walked towards the till. Buffy watched him as he approached; she touched a hand to her throat feeling like a trapped rabbit as he advanced on her.

“That’ll be eight dollars,” she said in what was a calm even voice, which no way mirrored what she was feeling inside.

Spike opened up his wallet and took out a twenty.

“Keep the change,” he told her as he walked out of the diner and onto the busy street.

Faith came and stood next to her.

“That’s some tip, wish all the customers were as generous as he. Guess Spike liked the service,” grinned Faith.

Buffy blushed, placing the money in the till and taking out the change to add to the tips jar.

“Buffy,”

She turned to face Mr Giles, a smile on her face that soon vanished at the anxiety she read in his eyes.

“What is it?” she asked, feeling a sense of dread unfold its self in the pit of her stomach.

“I just received a phone call from Dawn’s principle,”

“Just tell me,” said Buffy, her eyes huge in her face and her skin the colour of paper.

Giles removed his glasses and wiped at his eyes, taking a deep breath he looked her square in the eyes.

“Dawn has collapsed at school, she’s been taken to the hospital,”

Buffy covered her mouth. She gripped at the counter as she felt her legs weaken.

“Take it easy B, sit down, Xander get the girl a glass of water,” said Faith as she grabbed a chair and got Buffy to sit down on it.

Xander hurried out of the kitchen and placed the water in her hand.

“Buffy, I am sure she’s okay, probably just skipped breakfast or something,” Xander said, patting her shoulder.

Buffy stood up “I have to get to her now,”

“Yes, of course, but let me drive you,” said Mr Giles, grabbing his coat from the office.

“Anyone you want me to call?” asked Faith.

“Willow,”

“I’m on it,” the dark haired girl replied as she walked off in the direction of the office.

Buffy collected her purse and waited for Mr Giles to catch up with her.

“Ready?” he asked.

She nodded as she followed her kindly employer out the door. Buffy was filled with dread as she got into his car…he was about to drive her to the place she hadn’t set foot in since the death of her and her sister’s mother just a little over thirteen months ago.

Mr Rayne had watched them exit the coffee shop, a speculative expression on his face. He felt a twinge of sympathy for the waitress whom he genuinely liked. He was also a businessperson, and maybe this was just the opening he needed he thought to himself.

TBC
chapter 2 by Spikes Bint
I Do

Chapter 2

Buffy paced around in the waiting room of the hospital. The strong smell of antiseptic invaded her nostrils as she strummed her fingers nervously against her arm.

“I mean she is my sister, why won’t they let me see her?” Demanded Buffy.

“I am sure they won’t be long,” soothed Giles.

Buffy threw her hands up in the air in disgust. “We’ve been here for nearly an hour already and nothing! Nothing except a mountain of damn consent forms!”

Both heads looked up as the door opened.

“Buffy, I got here as soon as I could. Any word?” asked Willow as she threw down her bag and went over to her best friend.

“They won’t let me see her, it’s bad, I just know It,” said Buffy as she sobbed in Willow’s arms.

“I’ll erm go get some coffees from the machine,” said Giles awkwardly, sensing they wanted to be alone.

“Sssh, baby we don’t know anything yet,” said Willow as she stroked Buffy’s hair.

Buffy looked up at her friend with a teary smile and allowed Willow to walk her over to a vacant seat.

“I know, but I can’t help feeling that some of this is my fault if I had given Dawn more of my time…maybe I…”

Willow looked at Buffy

“Now listen, it’s a small wonder that it’s not you in that hospital bed with all you have had to cope with this past year. You’ve done all you could, you’re not God Buffy. Its no ones fault that your mom died and you were left with a whole load of responsibility,”

A nurse entered the room and Buffy and Willow stood up, holding each other’s hands for support. The grave expression on the woman’s face did nothing to quench Buffy’s fears.

“You can see her now,” said the nurse.

Buffy nodded silently and gripped Willow’s hand tighter. The red head winced a little at the extra pressure. They both followed the nurse out of the waiting room and into the hallway.

“We have done some tests preliminary tests and are waiting on the results. Your sister is doing just fine. Try not to worry,” said the nurse as they walked down the corridor.

“Easier said than done,” muttered Buffy under her breath.

Giles intercepted them as they entered the paediatric ward. He tipped the unwanted coffees into the water fountain.

“I’ll be in the waiting room if you need me,” he told Buffy.

“Thanks Mr Giles you’ve been sweet,” Buffy replied.

Buffy and Willow walked past the beds of several children all in various states of ill health.

“Bet Dawnie’s gonna love being on the kiddie ward,” said Willow, absentmindedly as she looked sadly at one small girl laying motionless in a cot.

They came to the end of the row of beds. Dawn was sitting cross-legged on the top of her blankets, a familiar pout on her face, which melted away at the sight of her sister.

“Buffy, Willow,” Dawn moved to get up from the bed and thought better of it as her head swam dizzily.

Buffy saw the pallor of her sister’s face and tried to hold back her tears. All Dawn needed was a show of waterworks from her right now. How long had Dawn looked so thin and tired? If she hadn’t been wrapped up in her, own personal hell she might have noticed, Buffy inwardly berated herself. She went over to her sister and hugged her tightly.

“Buffy, I need oxygen,” said Dawn as she patted her sister’s back.

“Sorry,” said Buffy as she released her hold on Dawn.

“Don’t know what all the fuss is about. I fainted in class for a few minutes. It’s no big and then the ambulance arrives with all the sirens wailing,”

“How do you feel now?” asked Willow.

“Like a human pincushion. Just had a guy with a wicked needle, and there was some blood taking and it was ew. He was kinda cute though,” said Dawn as she rubbed at the Band-Aid on her arm.

“Oh yeah there is not a lot wrong with you when you start talking about boys,” Willow laughed.

A doctor came in the room and walked towards them.

“Are you Miss Summers,” he asked Buffy.

“Yeah I am,”

“I need to talk to you about something in private,”

Buffy looked over at Dawn. “I’ll just be a minute sis,” she squeezed her hand and walked away.

“What do you think he wants? And when are they gonna let me out of here?” asked Dawn.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -


Buffy looked at herself in the washroom mirror and practised her words again. She tried several different smiles and expressions that all looked fake to her eyes.

The words suspected abnormalities and further tests were screaming inside her head. Why did this feel like losing mom all over again? she thought as she dashed away a tear.

Dawn was the only thing left in this world that really mattered to her as well as the new family she had adopted at the diner. Their father was somewhere in Spain, Buffy didn’t even have a number for him. When he had divorced their mother, he had divorced the whole family or so it seemed. Buffy wasn’t sure that Hank would even care.

She looked at herself again, and at the dark circles that rimmed her eyes.

“Get a grip Buffy, you’ve got to be strong for Dawn,” she told herself aloud.

Buffy washed her hands and brushed her hair, trying to restore some order to her person even if she couldn’t control her life. She walked back to the ward with a smile fixed on her face; it was so stiff that her cheeks ached from the effort to hold it in place.

Willow had her arm around Dawn and they were giggling about some joke or other.

“Hi, what’s so funny?” asked Buffy.

“Nothing, was just telling Dawn about this loser at University, Riley. He asked me out, I told him I was going to be no ones Buffy substitute,” smiled Willow.

“I thought he had forgotten about me by now, or rather I had hoped,” said Buffy.

“So what did the doctor say? I want out of here,” said Dawn.

Buffy sucked in a deep breath. This was proving more difficult than she had imagined as she felt her smile slip a little as her sister’s hopeful expression.

“They want to keep you here a little longer,”

Dawn opened her mouth to protest.

“Only a day or two,” Buffy finished quickly.

Dawn’s face crumpled up and she began to cry. Buffy rushed over to her side and took Dawn in her arms.

“I can’t stay here Buffy, this is where mom died,”

“Shhh, I know, I know,” sighed Buffy as she rocked her sister gently.

“Don’t leave me Buffy, please,” begged Dawn.

“I won’t leave you I promise, I will always be here for you Dawnie no matter what,” Buffy looked at Willow. “Could you let Mr Giles know I won’t be coming back to the diner today?” asked Buffy.

“I’m sure he didn’t expect you to anyway Buff,” said Willow as she got up off the bed.

Dawn yawned sleepily, and Buffy frowned in concern.

“Come on you get into that bed and get some rest,”

“Spoken like a bossy older sister,” pouted Dawn, but she felt too tired to argue anymore and sank gratefully into the covers.

Buffy moved to the bedside chair and held her sister’s hand as she drifted off to sleep. Buffy felt her own eyelids grow heavy and closed her eyes for just a moment. When she finally awoke, it was almost night. The daylight was fast fading and the bright strip lighting had been switched on. Dawn was sitting up in bed looking at her hospital meal as if it were poison on a plate.

“What happened to Willow?” asked Buffy.

“She left a note, she went with Mr Giles, but she said she would call you later,” said Dawn.

Buffy shifted around in the chair trying to restore some feeling to her posterior. She checked her watch and looked at Dawn.

“I have to be going soon Dawnie, visiting hours are long over,” sighed Buffy.

Dawn’s bottom lip trembled precariously.

“I bet we can squeeze in an extra half hour without being noticed,” grinned Buffy as she looked around the busy children’s ward.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Spike used the key to his friend’s apartment, knocking loudly before he entered just in case Angel was entertaining. His feet ached, having walked the streets of Sunnydale for the best part of the day. Anything was better than hearing the passionate cries and whispers of Angel and his latest playmate. He would have rented his own apartment before now, but while things were in limbo he didn’t see any point in putting down some real roots until he was safely wed and a green card was on it’s way.

He did not really like Ethan. He was oily, but unfortunately necessary at the same time. It had been six months since he had broken up from the woman he had wanted to marry. She had humiliated him on their wedding day by running off with the best man. Drusilla was a piece of work, something that he had not discovered until it been too late, well almost. He sighed tiredly. Well it could have been worse he could have married her… A derisive snort left his lips.

He thought about the raven-haired girl who had been his whole life ever since university, annoyingly a pair of green eyes replaced her dark ones. Spike pulled himself up; it was just one more reason why the girl in the diner would make an unsuitable candidate for his marriage of convenience. Why did he get the impression that it would be anything but convenient? He had read the pain in her eyes, not quite hidden by her smile. Well time was a ticking and he needed to bloody marry someone,/i> his inner voice told him.

“Spike, where did you get to?” asked Angel as he emerged from his bedroom. “Not that I missed you, I met a cute little thing while I was out grocery shopping. She’s in the bedroom as we speak,”

“You put a whole new meaning on the word grocery shopping, so did she show you her wares?” asked Spike in a disinterested voice.

“She gave me the whole god dammed store, but enough about me, how’s the plan to get you a mail order bride going?” asked Angel.

Spike watched Angel as he opened the refrigerator and took out a bottle of wine and removed a couple of wine glasses from the overhead cupboard.

“I wouldn’t exactly call it that, more a means to an end. Ethan thinks he might have someone,” said Spike evasively.

“Angeeeel,” a voiced called from the bedroom. “It’s getting real cold in this big bed without you,”

“Sorry Spike we’ll talk later,” shrugged Angel as he disappeared back into his room and slammed the door with a loud bang.

“Can’t wait,” said Spike to no one in particular.

He walked over to the stereo and switched it on to drown out any noise that might be heard from the next room.

He took his smokes from the pocket of his black leather jacket and placed one of them on his lips, before lighting it and taking a deep drag as the nicotine soothed his nerves. He knew he could find a woman to marry no problem. Angel knew enough of them, but they always looked at him as if they would want more than marriage.

The last thing he wanted was one to fall in love with him and expect him to reciprocate. He been there and done that. That was how he had ended up here. No, a nice simple marriage to get him residency was all he was interested in. He couldn’t give his heart even if he wished; Drusilla’s duplicity had all, but hollowed him out and no way was he going to allow himself to be that vulnerable to a woman again…just a quickie ceremony and an I do, and then he could really get on with his life.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Buffy crawled into bed, the hour was late, but she couldn’t face the emptiness and silence of their home. She had walked back from the hospital when she had left Dawn, instead of getting a bus, just to prolong her return.

The doctor had waylaid her before she had left the ward to inform her that there was little point coming in until the late afternoon. Dawn would be preoccupied with tests and what not.

As she lay there in the darkness, studying the shadows as they fell across the ceiling, she felt so alone.

“Mom, what do I do?” she whispered to the silence.

There was no reply to her softly spoken question, there never was. Buffy just sighed and closed her eyes, wishing sleep to come.

TBC
Chapter 3 by Spikes Bint
A/N Thanks for reading. I know things have been a little angsty in this story so far, but it will get happier, just kind of building up the story at present.



Chapter 3

Buffy quickly dressed and left the house early deciding a walk to work was exactly what she needed to wake herself up. It had been a little after two when she had finally fallen asleep only to awaken two hours later by the sound of her alarm clock going off.

A call to the hospital just before she left went some way towards quelling some of her fears for her sister. Dawn had had a good night, but Buffy wished more than anything that she could be there for her sister when she was going through her ordeal. She had a genuine smile on her face as she left the house and walked down the street, with the feeling that maybe things were going to be okay after all.

As Buffy arrived at her workplace, the lights were already on in the diner. Xander was usually the one to open up and she could see him working in the kitchen as he got the grills and ovens going. Buffy smiled at him through the window, he smiled back, and seemed little surprised to see her if his expression was anything to go by.

She opened the door and walked in.

“Hi and what do you think you are doing here young lady?” he asked.

“Working, I think,” replied Buffy.

“Uh, uh, Giles already got Harmony in to cover your shift, Willow was supposed to call you. We figured you needed the time to be with Dawn, with full pay of course,” said Xander.

Buffy smiled at him. “I’m gonna be here whether you want me to or not, besides I need a little distraction,”

“If you are sure? You know an extra pair of hands is always welcome. How is Dawnie?” asked Xander.

He was fond of Buffy’s little sister. She was a regular visitor to the diner and often came in after school and did her homework on one of the vacant tables until her sister finished her shift. Dawn would frequently ask them all questions when she got stuck on her assignments and would occasionally help out if things got a little busy or they were short staffed.

Buffy gave Xander a weak smile. “Oh you know Dawn, she puts on a brave face, but I think she’s really scared,”

“Kinda like someone else I know,” said Xander quietly, not fooled for a moment by her bravado.

Buffy took off her coat and tied her apron around her slender waist. Faith arrived a few moments later, also surprised to see Buffy there.

“B, why aren’t you getting some rest, you look exhausted,” said Faith.

“Is that another way of saying I look a hag?” asked Buffy dryly.

“Would I say something like that?” asked Faith trying to look innocent.

“That’s exactly the sort of thing you would say,” replied Xander.

“How well you know me Xander Harris,” teased Faith.

They all turned towards the door as Harmony Kendall came through it. The three of them let out a collective sigh as the blonde-haired woman advanced on them. She was wearing three-inch high heels that clicked on the floor with each step. Buffy tried to repress the smile that was spreading across her face. Give it half an hour and the girl would be wishing she had never showed up that morning, she thought to herself.

“Harmony,” Faith greeted her.

Hi so where do you want me?”

“Is that a trick question?” asked Xander.

Harmony giggled at his comment.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the hospital with your sister?” asked the blonde.

Buffy breathed a sigh of relief as the first customer of the day entered the doors. She walked off to take his order before she strangled Harmony where she stood.

“I’ll give you an A for tact Harmony,” said Faith sarcastically.

“What did I do?” she asked, confused.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Spike checked the answer phone for any messages, he sighed his way impatiently through a couple of females asking Angel to call them until he got to the oily tones of Ethan requesting that he meet him in the diner at nine. Spike checked his watch; it wasn’t like he had anything better to do. He went to the kitchen, poured himself a mug of coffee from the percolator, and sat down. Angel opened the door to his room, he came out in an immaculate business suit.

“Morning Spike, anymore of that?” asked Angel as he glanced at Spike’s mug.

“You can get it yourself, I’m not your bloody slave,” Spike replied.

“While you’re under my roof is that much to ask that you help out a little?” asked Angel.

“A roof I pay well for living under,” snapped Spike.

“Touchy this morning aren’t we? Take no notice of me. You know what I’m like until I’ve had my early morning coffee,” grinned Angel. “So what’s the plan for today?”

“Well, I have an appointment with a publisher that might be interested in my manuscript, and another meeting with Ethan,”

“Sounds like a blast,” said Angel as he drank down the remains of his coffee. He picked up his car keys and brief case and exited the apartment.

“Have a nice day you git,” Spike replied.

He got up; enjoying the silence of the apartment for the whole five minutes that he was there, before putting on his leather jacket and following the same path that Angel had taken. He took the short walk to the diner in less than five minutes; it was already thriving with activity. Spike looked around the diner, Ethan was nowhere to be seen yet, but he was early. He managed to find a vacant table, which still had the remains of the previous occupants meal on its surface.

Buffy saw him the moment he entered the diner, the strange feeling of breathlessness she had felt the other day returned. Faith saw Buffy’s reaction to the new arrival. She smiled to herself as she walked over to her friend.

“Well look who it is,” Faith breathed in Buffy’s ear. “That table looks kinda messy, wanna take care of it?”

“What about you or Harmony?” asked Buffy.

“There’s no one else, I am in the middle of the coffee rounds and Harmony is serving one of the tables. It’s a dirty job Buffy, but somebody’s gotta do it,” teased Faith.

“Fine,” said Buffy as she walked off with a cloth towards his table.

“Go get him girl,”

Buffy’s colour rose at Faith’s parting shot. Spike was staring out of the window when she arrived at his table and began to clear up the mess. He suddenly turned around to look at her. The coffee cup that she held in her hands slipped from her fingers and fell into his lap. Spike winced a little as the cold coffee dregs soaked into the fabric of his jeans.

“I’m so sorry,” Buffy wiped at his thighs automatically with her dishcloth.

“I think I can take care of that,” he grinned at her, stilling the movements of her hands.

“Oh, yes…sorry,” she apologised again.

Faith breezed by on her way to another table. “Buffy you are supposed to handle the customers, not handle the customers,”

Spike looked at Buffy. “She sounds a real card,”

“I really am sorry, maybe I could get you something on the house?” asked Buffy, flushing as she realised that she had just apologised for the third time.

“Don’t sweat it, what’s a little spilt coffee between a customer and his favourite waitress?” he grinned.

Buffy flushed at the use of his words favourite. At that moment, Ethan entered the diner and all conversation was at an end. Buffy walked off, keen to get away from those observant blue eyes.

“Early Spike? You must be eager,” drawled Ethan.

“Eager to have my business with you over and done with yes,”

Spike fumbled about in his inner jacket pocket and took out the envelope that held the cheque for the amount Ethan had requested. He slid it across the table to him. Ethan’s eyes darted around the busy diner. When he had satisfied himself that no one had seen the exchange, he picked it up and stowed it away inside his coat.

“Just tell me where and when,” Spike requested.

“St Mary’s, October 9th. Ten a.m. sharp. I’ll call you if there is any problem before then,”

“Wait a bleeding minute! That’s a church,” said Spike.

“How very observant of you,”

“I thought this was going to be some quickie ceremony at city hall,”

“No can do, Immigration are clamping down on this sort of thing. A church has that little bit more of a truthful ring to it,”

“I’m not even religious,” Spike informed him.

Ethan chuckled. “You don’t have to be dear boy, you just have to show up, and besides the priest is an old friend of mine,”

Spike eyed Ethan distastefully. He was a rogue to the core, just how many other pies did he have his corrupt bony fingers in, Spike wondered.

“See you in two weeks then,” Spike got up from the table and walked towards the exit, leaving a very smug looking Ethan in his wake. Ethan was a shady character, but one that seemed to deliver, he had to give him at least that, thought Spike cynically.

As he opened the door, he looked across towards the counter and saw Buffy watching him. She quickly looked away; he smiled at the action without really knowing why.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


The heat of the diner was getting to her, or maybe she was just tired Buffy thought as she went out the back for a short break. She had found Spike’s presence as disturbing as she had the day before. What was wrong with her? Now was not the time to be developing some schoolgirl crush over a total stranger. She leant up against the wall behind the diner, closed her eyes, and sighed. The gentle breeze went a long way to cooling the heat of the Californian sun.

Buffy opened her eyes and almost jumped out of her skin when she saw Mr Rayne standing in front of her line of vision.

“Hello dear girl,”

“Hi, I’m on my break,” said Buffy suspiciously

“I didn’t want service Buffy. I heard about your recent troubles and wanted to offer my sympathies,” he replied smoothly.

“Oh er thanks,” Buffy answered awkwardly.

“Look, I know that you haven’t had things easy these last few months and I wondered if there was anything I could do to make things a little easier?” he queried.

Buffy frowned, wondering just what he was getting at exactly. Faith’s revelation of the day before came back to her, she shuddered inwardly at her friend’s assumptions. Mr Rayne had always looked at her with polite indifference nothing more. Buffy looked back at him waiting for him to continue. She watched as he reached into his jacket pocket and removed a small black card and handed it to her.

“What’s this?” she asked.

“My calling card,”

Buffy took the card and read it to herself Rayne enterprises. It looked harmless enough, but explained nothing.

“And?”

“Lets just say I help people that help me. Money…employment…accommodations etc for people who come to the land of the free and decide they want to stay and don’t have time to cut through the red tape,”

“Illegal aliens?” Buffy blurted out.

Ethan looked around the deserted alley uneasily.

“In a manner of speaking. I offer them a quick route to a green card, they pay me very well, and I pay the Americans who help me help them very well in return,”

“Your point is?” asked Buffy.

“How do you feel about marriage?” asked Ethan.

Buffy’s throat almost closed up in shock.

“You mean you and me marriage?”

Ethan chuckled at her misassumption. “No, no. Tempting thought, but I am old enough to be your father,”

Buffy breathed a short-lived sigh of relief. “Well, me and whom then? Not that I would consider it for a moment,” she replied.

“Does it matter? You would not to have to live with your paper husband. All it takes is a few minutes in a church for $25,000. Good pay for a morning’s work wouldn’t you say. How long would it take to earn that kind of money here?” he asked pointing at the diner.

“Thanks, but no thanks,” said Buffy sarcastically as she tried to give him back his card.

“Keep it,” he replied as he turned and walked away.

“I’ll never need your kind of help, ever!” called Buffy after him. She screwed the card up in her hand, but instead of throwing it on the street, she absent-mindedly tucked it into her apron.

“Buffy! Break is over could you give me a hand in here?” asked Faith as she poked her head out of the door.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _


Buffy stood in the corridor of the hospital, a nurse at her side and a doctor standing in front of her. He was talking, she could see his lips moving, but the words had stopped making sense. He had just informed her that Dawn had leukaemia and needed to begin a course of chemotherapy as soon as possible. Before she had had time to recover, the next bombshell hit her as the nurse handed her a list and the costs of treatments already received.

“There must be some mistake we are covered,” said Buffy as she looked at the long list.

“Not since the eighth of last month. It seems that Dawn was on your mother’s policy along with yourself, but that has now expired. I‘m sorry to heap more on you at a time like this, but it has to be dealt with,” said the nurse sympathetically.

Buffy stared at all the numbers on the page before her. She cursed herself for her ignorance. Her mom had been gone a little over a year now and her kindly employer had offered to keep their insurance going until Buffy had gotten back on her feet. He had obviously decided a years grace was long enough. Why hadn’t she paid more attention to household matters? She asked herself. Because you were too busy being, mother, father and big sister to Dawn Came back the reply. Oh, God Dawn Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth as she thought of her sister, what was she going to tell Dawn? She couldn’t think on that now, her sister was all that mattered, and she might lose her…. Buffy cut the thought off before it could finish its self.

The only good thing to come out of the doctor’s mouth was the fact that she could take her sister home with her that night. She would wait until they got home before speaking to her sister and Dawn deserved to know the truth.

TBC
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=4865