Please Mrs. Jailer! by Isabel
Summary: Buffy Summers has just been named warden of Sunnydale county prison. On her second day, she meets prisoner William Rayne, also known as Spike. Sparks fly between them right away. Buffy knows better than allowing herself to be attracted to a convict, but she can’t help it. And when Spike tells her he’s innocent… she believes him
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 59 Completed: Yes Word count: 180507 Read: 106671 Published: 10/27/2004 Updated: 03/13/2007

1. Taking Charge by Isabel

2. What are bestfriends for? by Isabel

3. Imaginary Freedom by Isabel

4. Every night by Isabel

5. A little motivation by Isabel

6. Life isn't always fair to gentlemen by Isabel

7. French Lessons by Isabel

8. Forbidden by Isabel

9. Heading for a wall? by Isabel

10. Journal of a convict by Isabel

11. Sightseeing tour by Isabel

12. Couch confessions by Isabel

13. Eye Witness by Isabel

14. Therapy by Isabel

15. Meeting with the Devil by Isabel

16. Sunshine, friends and food by Isabel

17. Unpleasant slumber by Isabel

18. I come in peace by Isabel

19. She did what?! by Isabel

20. Courageous people say it... by Isabel

21. Joy to the bloody world by Isabel

22. Not feeling so trust worthy by Isabel

23. Caught in a tangle by Isabel

24. On edge by Isabel

25. You can run, but you can't hide by Isabel

26. Mood swings by Isabel

27. New Year conspiracy by Isabel

28. Celebration (part 1) by Isabel

29. Celebration, part 2 by Isabel

30. Support in rough times by Isabel

31. Intervention by Isabel

32. Cyber virgin by Isabel

33. It's all a matter of evidence by Isabel

34. Doctor, doctor, give me the news by Isabel

35. More time needed by Isabel

36. Men have the worst timing by Isabel

37. Hey little sister what have I done by Isabel

38. Unavailable by Isabel

39. At last we meet by Isabel

40. New recruit on the team by Isabel

41. Destroying prison property by Isabel

42. Testing friendship's limits by Isabel

43. Sugary treats, and sour threats by Isabel

44. Quality time with good friends by Isabel

45. White trash just wanna have fun by Isabel

46. Blissful oblivion by Isabel

47. When it rains, it pours by Isabel

48. Tough girls cry too by Isabel

49. Bad day to be a friend by Isabel

50. Don't kill the messenger by Isabel

51. Tough love by Isabel

52. White lies and consequences by Isabel

53. In the name of love, or justice? by Isabel

54. Bad man by Isabel

55. Set me free by Isabel

56. Rollercoaster by Isabel

57. Homecoming by Isabel

58. Hot water by Isabel

59. Wish you were here... by Isabel

Taking Charge by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: The song lyrics at the beginning of the chapter are from the movie Cry Baby


CHAPTER 1: Taking Charge



Please Mr. Jailer
Won’t you let my man go free
He don’t belong in prison
But is guilty as can be
But the only crime he’s guilty of is
Simply loving me.




“Ms. Summers! Over here!”


Buffy turned to face the middle-age, British man approaching her. He had a warm smile and his hand was extended to shake hers in welcome. She returned the smile, and, struggling with the box she was holding, managed to take the offered hand.


“It is so nice to finally get to meet you. I heard great things about you Ms. Summers. It really is an honor…”


Buffy smiled wider at how flustered the man was getting. “Nice to meet you… uh…?”


“Oh, pardon my rudeness. I’m Rupert Giles. But please call me Giles. That’s what everybody calls me around here. I’m the head of security.”


“Well it’s really nice to meet you Giles. I’m sure we’ll have a good time working together. And please, don’t let my looks fool you. I might look twenty, but I’m actually forty five. I have a good plastic surgeon.” She tried to joke goodheartedly.


Giles laughed. “Do people give you a hard time regarding your age?”


“Well, lets put it this way. A twenty-six year old, five feet two, very petite blonde, doesn’t exactly strike fear in people’s hearts. But you’d be surprised. I actually started working at the L.A. county prison part-time at the age of 17. It was my mother’s idea. She thought working in prison would put the fear of God in her rebellious teenage daughter and keep her out of trouble. I had a bad habit of getting myself into fights and other minor stuff like smoking pot and shoplifting bras.”


Giles chuckled at that. He took the box she was holding and they started walking towards her new office.


“So anyway. I started working there part-time, and it did more than put me back on the right track; it gave me a career. I got my masters degree in criminology and was so passionate by it that I graduated first of my class. So yeah, twenty-six is young for a prison warden, but I’ve been doing this for almost ten years. I guess it counts. Plus--to be quite honest with you Giles--nobody wanted this position.”


“Hum.. Yes. I can’t say that I am surprised to hear this.” Giles said, taking a seat in the big comfy leather chair facing Buffy.


She leaned forward, her forearms resting on her luxurious mahogany desk. She was really curious to find out why such a prestigious position had been left wide open for so long. Not that the answer would make her change her mind about taking the position. She was just a very curious girl. Always had been. “And why is this?”


“Nothing you should worry yourself with. I am sure you will do just fine here Ms. Summers.”


“First, please call me Buffy when we’re not around the prisoners. And don’t worry, you won’t scare me away. I’m just curious as to why exactly nobody wanted to be assigned to Sunnydale. It seems to be a nice, quiet little town.”


“Really, it’s just a string of bad events related to the wardens that worked here at one point or another. One was corrupted, the other one uh… hung himself. And two also, well… they got killed. Not in this office.” He added quickly, not wanting to spook the young woman. “There is always a lot of action in this prison. Bad bloods, if I may say so. But I have a good feeling about you, Buffy. I think you’ll do a great job here. And I will help you the best I can. I’ve been hoping to see things change around here for a long time.”


“They will. I’ll make sure of that.” Buffy smiled.


Giles got up. “I better go back to work. If you need anything at all, you can call me and I’ll be there. When are you starting work?”


“First thing tomorrow morning. I’ll make my little speech after breakfast in the cafeteria.”


“Alright then. I’ll make sure everybody is there.”


She watched as Giles exited her office.


**Well, that will be at least one ally in the place.** she thought sourly, remembering the way the security guards at the main entrance had snickered when she introduced herself earlier.


Making a reputation for herself would be hard. She knew she’d not only have to break in the prisoners, but her employees as well. The next day, and the following weeks, would be crucial. She could show no weakness, or it would be the end. Her plan was to be hard on them at first so they would know who they were dealing with and that she wouldn’t take any bullshit from them, then soften up a bit later on. After ten years working in jail, you have no choice but to understand a few things about psychology.


Buffy gathered a few piles of papers and files that were scattered all over her desk, and settled down on the leather couch by the window. She wanted to look through the files of some of the disruptive convicts that were pointed out to her. She didn't want any surprises and preferred to be well prepared.


After hours of going through page after page of typical prison bad behavior, she decided that she’d better go home, practice what she would say the next day, and try to catch some sleep.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Standing by the big window in her office the next morning, the blonde woman looked down at herself for what felt like the thousandth time in the past hour.


**This is completely wrong** she thought once more while looking at the outfit she had chosen in a moment of pure panic, mere moments before she had to leave the house. She pulled at her light green silk shirt, then straightened it. She did the two first buttons, then undid them again. Flattened an imaginary wrinkle on her dark gray jacket, and finally let out a frustrated sigh. Alright, she could at least admit it to herself: she was nervous. Fidgeting with her clothes was usually a good sign of it.


“Geez girl, get a grip!” she said out loud to herself.


“Am I interrupting something?”


Startled, Buffy turned to face the new comer. “Oh, Giles! Good morning. Please come in. You were only interrupting an insecurity crisis. Nothing important.” She tried to laugh, but it sounded a little fake.


Giles took a look at the beautiful young woman standing by the window. She had done her long blonde hair up in a severe twist and was wearing black framed glasses, but it did nothing to hide her sensuality and natural beauty. She was simply stunning. He briefly wondered why would such a vibrant young woman want to work in a prison.


“You certainly look good for someone who is going to give a speech to convicts Buffy…”


“See! I knew it! It’s too sexy isn’t it? Not enough ‘I’m the boss here; I’m gonna kick your ass if you don’t respect me’. I should have gone for the turtleneck instead of that stupid shirt. If I hadn’t left the house in such a hurry… Or.. or just jeans and some good old solid boots. Stilettos!? What was I thinking? I’ll postpone the…”


“Buffy! Please, stop. That’s not what I meant. What you’re wearing is perfect. Besides, we both know you would get the same reaction no matter what you’re wearing.”


“Yeah. Cheers, laughs and crude remarks. I’m expecting that, don’t worry.”


They were interrupted by the crackling sound of Giles’ two-way radio.


“Excuse me for a moment would you.”


“Of course.”


He answered the call.


“Giles here. Over.”


“Giles, we have a problem in the cafeteria. A fight got out of control. We need you here as soon as possible. Over.”


“I’m on my way. Over.”


He turned to Buffy who was waiting for an explanation. “What’s going on?”


“There seems to be a bit of trouble in the cafeteria. I’ll go check on it.”


“I’ll come with you.”


“No… stay here. It’s our job to get in the middle of these fights. I’ll contact you if it gets too out of control, and let you know if anybody was injured.”


“Fine. And bring whoever is responsible for starting that riot straight to my office. I’m sensing my first act of discipline coming on. I’m going to make a big show out of it; set an example.”


Giles nodded and rushed out of the office.


Buffy paced her office for almost an hour waiting for Giles to come back with the troublemakers. She was starting to have a bad feeling about taking this job. Maybe it was doomed. Rule number one: never accept what nobody else wants. But no. She had to be stubborn and take the damn job even if she knew that something was fishy.


**Yep, that’s me alright… always a sucker for a good challenge**


She shook her head; she was getting increasingly bitter and that was not like her. This was supposed to be her dream job. She wasn’t supposed to get discouraged after only a few hours. And besides, even if it had been a bad idea to accept the job, it couldn’t be all bad… something good had to come out of it eventually…


Someone knocked at the door.


“Come in.”


Giles walked in. “The situation is under control. Everybody is back in their cells. The guy who started the fight is at the infirmary being treated for his injuries. He isn’t in good shape, but he’ll live.”


“What’s the name?”


“Parker. Parker Abrams.”


“What about the other guy? He wasn’t fighting alone, was he?”


“One of the guards is waiting with him outside. But really, Buffy, it’s a waste of time.”


She went to lean on her desk and crossed her arms protectively over her chest. “And why’s that exactly? I assure you, Giles, that I’m perfectly capable of scaring a con if I want to.”


“I’m sure you can, Buffy, but this one is special. William Rayne. You won’t get anything out of him. He isn’t the easiest bloke to talk to. And any punishment you will throw at him he will actually enjoy. Send him to the hole for a week, he’ll see it as a vacation. Make him reorganize the entire library, he’ll be happy like a little boy on Christmas morning. Everything is fine by him as long as he’s far away from the other guys. I just thought I’d warn you because nobody has successfully punished him since he’s been here.”


“Giles. Just bring him in would you? I think I can manage on my own.” She didn’t mean to snap at him, but she was getting annoyed. One of the touchiest topics for Buffy Summers had always been her competence. She was quite capable of doing her job, and didn’t like people to question it. Even when they were just trying to help.


“All right then. If you… wish to waste your time.” Giles said stiffly before walking out. He came back with another guard and the prisoner who had his hands handcuffed in front of him.


He was a bit shorter than the two men escorting him but he still somehow seemed imposing. Maybe the way he walked, or the way he stood. But Buffy couldn’t see his face--his eyes never left the ground. All she could see was the top of his bleached blonde head.


She motioned for the guards to make him sit in the leather chair, then waited for them to leave the room. When she realized that they intended to stay there, she finally opened her mouth.


“Mr. Rayne and I have to talk… in private please.”


Giles didn’t seem to approve, but he followed the other guard anyway. “We’ll be right outside the door if you need us Ms. Summers.”


“Thank you Giles. But I’m sure it won’t be necessary.”


She waited until he shut the door, then moved from the spot where she was standing to sit on the desk in front of William. He was still looking down. A few strands of bleached hair were falling in front of his face, hiding him further from her. She could see some dried blood in it. But except for that, he seemed fine. So she crossed her arms over her chest and decided to wait in silence for a little while, to see if he’d eventually look up.


His eyes moved slowly. They lingered on the sexy shoes for a while before moving up to admire the long, slim legs covered in tailored gray pants. His curiosity got the best of him and he peeked through the hair that was hiding his eyes.


What he saw was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.


What Buffy saw was the most beautiful man she had ever seen.


They both remained silent, but this time, it was in shock.


After fighting to regain control of her breathing, and make sure that her voice wouldn’t sound too squeaky, Buffy finally spoke.


“So, William, I…”


“It’s Spike, pet. William died the day he was falsely accused of something he didn’t do.”


“… Oh.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 2: What are bestfriends for?


A/N: I'm having so much fun writing this story, I hope you guys have just as much fun reading it. If you do enjoy it, let me know. What? I'm a very insecure girl... I need reassurance lol
What are bestfriends for? by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: The text in bold is Buffy's fantasy


CHAPTER 2: What are bestfriends for?


Late afternoon, Buffy unlocked the front door of her new house with a heavy sigh. She was tired, and glad to finally be home. It was a really nice house. Just big enough for her. All on one level, with lots of open space and windows everywhere. But the main attraction was the backyard with its gigantic pool. She loved pools and had never had one before. Buffy was renting the house from her friend Xander for almost nothing. When he found out that she was moving to Sunnydale, he offered it to her right away. Xander owned an L.A. based construction company, but as a sideline, he liked to buy houses and rent them. He had quite a few across California and it was making him a rich man. Rich enough, at least, to give his childhood friend a really good deal. She wasn’t gonna complain about it.


She dropped her keys on the small table by the door and abandoned her briefcase as well. She wasn’t in the mood to look through paperwork tonight. She unbuttoned her silk shirt, leaving it hanging open on either side of her body, and made her way to the kitchen. She needed a drink badly. She toed off her mint green sexy stilettos on the way there, leaving them in the middle of the place. Yes, she was messy, she knew it, and she didn’t care.


Buffy took a look around the kitchen, still a little overwhelmed by how luxurious it was, with the shiny black granite counter tops, mahogany cupboards with glass doors, slate floor. And the sink was so big that she could probably take a bath in it. She went to the wine rack and picked a bottle of red wine. As she was pouring herself a glass, the phone rang. She took her glass with her and went to pick up the cordless.


“Hey Cordy.” She said in the receiver after taking a look at the caller display. She took a magazine from the pile on the kitchen table and went to sit outside by the pool to enjoy the sunset.


“So? How was your first day as the brand new tormenter of Sunnydale prison residents?” Her friend Cordelia Chase asked, every bit her usual enthusiastic self.


“It was… bizarre, to say the least.”


“It was bizarre? I’m afraid you’ll have to explain further girlfriend cuz good old Cord isn’t getting it. What do you mean, bizarre?”


“I don’t know, just a weird day. I didn’t even do my speech for one thing.”


“Aww! What happened? And it was such a good speech too! Worthy of the award for Monologue of the year. What a loss.”


“You’re a riot, Chase; did anybody ever tell you that?”


“You know I love ya. I’m just teasing. Go on. What happened?”


“I was just about to go to the cafeteria to introduce myself to the prisoners when there was a huge fight. You know my luck, right? I don’t even know why I’m surprised.” Buffy rolled her eyes and took a sip of her wine. The lights in the pool came on automatically as the sky got darker and Buffy got up to go sit with her feet in the water.


“Ok, so--yeah, there was a fight.” Cordelia commented matter-of-factly. “Big freaking deal: it’s a prison. So, what else?”


“Yeah…” Buffy trailed, not sure she really wanted to share the rest of the story. “You know… nothing interesting. I just talked to that guy who was involved in the fight… he hadn’t started it, he got attacked by another convict. Anyway, I talked to him and…”


“And he was really sexy and horny, so you pushed him on top of your desk and had hot sweaty decadent sex with him. Wow, how convenient: the handcuffs were already on him!”


Buffy’s eyes widened in horror. “Cordelia Chase! You are such--a whore! Who do you think I am? I would never have sex with a con or even THINK of having sex with a con… I have higher expectations, I’ll have you know.”


“Says the girl whose last boyfriend, Ford, pretended to be a lawyer when he was in fact a janitor at a lawyer’s office. If you don’t mind, I’ll pick the hot rugged prisoner over that loser anytime of the day.” She snickered with contempt.


“Whatever Cord, I’m not telling you anything else.”


“Come on! I’m dying here! You know gossip is my bread, my wine and my air. Spill the beans before I wither and die like a flower without sun and water..” Cordelia whined, knowing she’d get what she wanted anyway. She always did.


“And that is exactly why I won’t tell you anything. You’re just a big gossip machine. Yep, gossip machine, that’s what you are, missy. You know what will happen? I’ll tell you what you want to know, you’ll shriek in my ear in excitement, and hang up the phone on me. Less than an hour after that, it will be all over the news and I’ll be out of a job.”


“So you DID have hot monkey sex! Good for you!” When Cordelia Chase was onto something, she sure as Hell wouldn’t let go.


“Did not, you big freak!!”


“Alright, I’ll stop teasing you. But what’s the deal with that guy you were talking about? Was he hot?”


Buffy resisted for a few more seconds, then finally let it out.


“… Delicious.”


As she had predicted, her friend shrieked deafeningly into the phone.


“Buffy Summers!”


“Devilishly handsome. Very lickable. To die for. Sinfully gorgeous. Shall I go on?”


“Whatever happened to your rule about prisoners?” Cordelia asked in a more serious voice.


“Huh? What rule? I don’t have a rule…”


“You do now, missy: Don’t ogle them!”


“Cordelia, just how stupid do you think I am?”


**very, very stupid. Even more than that: Idiotic.** Buffy thought, ashamed of herself.


”You think I would risk my job to flirt with a guy who’s gonna spend the next twenty years behind the bars, all this because he has exquisite blue eyes, a tasty looking lower lip and perfect cheekbones? I’m not that dumb. Can’t a girl tell her best friend, after a long, horrible day, ‘Hey, I’ve seen a hot guy today’ without intending to do anything about it?”


“You know what Buff? I wasn’t actually serious, but you’re reacting so strongly about this that I’m starting to worry for real now.”


“Don’t. I’m sorry I freaked. I had a rough day. I wasn’t serious either.”


“Sure?”


“Sure.”


“Good. Now don’t go looking at that cute prison boy again or Queen C’s gonna come over and slap some sense into that blonde head of yours. Understood? And I’m only saying that because I’m your best friend, not because I would actually enjoy bitch-slapping you around.”


“As if you’d be able to anyway. I might be tiny, but I fight dirty. You know it, you’ve seen me in action.”


Cordelia cleared her throat. She remembered all too well Buffy’s bar-fighting days. “Yeah. Let’s forget about the bitch-slapping… So not going there with you, girl. You’re too much of a psycho for me. I could break a nail or…”


“Or your four-thousand dollar nose?”


“Screw you, my nose is real. Mother Nature gave me that nose! You’re just jealous!”


Buffy laughed. “Yes, keep telling yourself that if it helps… You know what Cordy, I’ve had a rough day. I think I’ll go soak in the tub for a while then hit the pillow.”


“And have naughty dreams about hot prison boy?”


“Whatever, you perv.”


“I’m sure you and your hand will have hours of fun together.”


“Fuck you.”


“Good night to you too!”


Buffy hung up and shook her head slightly. Cordelia and she had been best friends since high school. She was like a sister to her. But sometimes she had to wonder what kind of drugs she was on. Yeah right, as if she would ever do--that, thinking of…


**Who are you trying to fool, you big liar? Wasn’t it your intention anyway? Long, hot, bubble-bath, then go to bed and…**


“Argh!!”


Annoyed with herself for not being able to get her mind out of the gutter, Buffy got up and walked angrily back to the house, her wet feet making slapping noise on the concrete. She slammed the patio door shut behind her and locked it for the night. She turned the lights off after rinsing out her wine glass and went to her bathroom, hoping to finally be able to relax.


She had no such luck. While soaking in the fragrant hot water, surrounded by her favorite scented candles, she couldn’t stop the thoughts from bouncing around in her head like a Ping-Pong ball.


**Be strong, I said. Be merciless with them. Show them who’s the boss.** Buffy silently mocked herself.


**First week is crucial, don’t show any weakness or they’ll eat you alive… Yeah right. Chatting up Mr. Cheekbones, giggling like a schoolgirl at everything he said, then sending him back without any real punishment sure made me look like a real dictator.**


She let herself slide down in the tub until her head was under the water, hoping to silence her infuriating thoughts. Finally accepting the fact that nothing would take her mind off the morning’s events, she got out of the water and wrapped her wet body in a giant, plush, towel.


Once in the bedroom, she gathered the clothes that she had thrown all over her king size bed that morning, and dropped them on the floor, too tired to bother putting them away. Then she slid under the covers and turned the light off…


And stared at the ceiling.


…stared…


…and stared some more…


There was a tiny little crack in the paint…


Looked like a lightning…


Or maybe mountain tops if you looked the other way…


Or…


Buffy reached out to grab the pillow near her and shoved it on her face to muffle yet another scream of frustration.


Giving up the fight against her own mind’s desires, she closed her eyes and finally allowed herself to relax. She let her brain recreate the image of the blonde man who had captured her attention so effectively and gave in to the urge to slide her hands along her warm body. Her finger tips ran over her firm stomach, the feather like touch making her skin tingle.



Those eyes. She would never forget the intensity of those eyes as he looked up at her. So truthful; the emotions swirling in those blue pools--Like the ocean on a stormy day.


She should have been annoyed by the smirk stretching his generous lips, but she couldn’t bring herself to be. He had that boyish look, with his hair all messed up and his shiny blue eyes… She couldn’t even remember why he was in her office.



Buffy let out a soft moan when she finally dipped her slender fingers between her legs. She was surprised at how wet she was. How wet just thinking about this guy made her.


She knew that if she looked at herself in a mirror right now, she would probably see herself blushing like a virgin bride. She couldn’t explain why but she felt ashamed for thinking of him while pleasuring herself. She could see him so clearly in her mind that it made it all too real. Especially since she knew she really shouldn’t be thinking about him this way.


She flicked her clit a few times, nearly jumping off the bed at the first stroke. She hadn’t been that turned on in ages—Make it never. Spike. The nickname was so fitting.


“So, Spike huh? How did you get that nickname, if you don’t mind me asking?… And if the tale isn’t too gory.”
That laugh. He had such a sexy laugh. A light rumble coming from deep within his chest. And it made his eyes crinkle up--the blue getting deeper and darker.

“No pet, nothing too bloody. Well… a little. Stabbed a big wanker in the shoulder with a railroad spike. His buddies and him were attacking a guy for no good reason. I do enjoy a good spot of violence, but I can’t say I care much for an unfair fight. He lived. I got myself a nickname and a new best mate.”

“He forgave you that?”

“Not that guy, luv; the one I helped. Charles Gunn.”

“Oh. Right.”


Alright, reliving that conversation wasn’t exactly the biggest turn on. Maybe she could skip it. Though she did have a big grin on her face while thinking about their too short talk.


Buffy chuckled and pumped her fingers harder inside of her. She couldn’t believe just how silly that guy was making her.


She took the morning scene and rearranged it a bit. In her mind, she was now wearing a short black leather skirt instead of her suit pants.


**What was I thinking wearing pants anyway?…** she thought, still annoyed with her choice of outfit, but not for the same reasons that she had worried in the morning.


She let the fantasy play out in her head.


In a perfect imitation of Basic Instincts, she crossed and uncrossed her long legs. She could see Spike getting up from his seat and stalking towards her with a predatory look on his face.



In her bed, Buffy moaned from the erotic image she had just created in her head, and the action of her hands on her oversensitive flesh.


Spike put one hand on each of her knees to spread her legs and then slid his hands up her thighs, his eyes never leaving hers. As his hands traveled up he pushed her skirt higher, giving him better access to her soaked panties. He leaned forward and kissed her, caressing her soft lips with the tip of his tongue, just as one of his thumbs slid underneath the elastic band of her satin underwear and brushed against her clit. She was so turned on that this light contact made her come right away.



Buffy came with a frustrated whimper. She wanted the real thing, not some cheap imitation her brain could come up with.


**Yeah, but that will NEVER happen girl. Put it in that stubborn little blonde head of yours and move on!** With her hand still buried between her legs, she turned on her side and fell asleep almost instantly.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3: Imaginary freedom

A/N: Don't forget to review. Pretty please with chocolate sauce and cherry on top?
Imaginary Freedom by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: The text in bold is Spike's fantasy


CHAPTER 3: Imaginary freedom



After guiding the prisoner through one drab hallway after another, the guard unlocked the handcuffs and pushed Spike outside of the building and into the equally dull yard. Everything in this soddin place was gray and grayer, with a touch of beige and greenish gray here and there. Spike had never considered himself a fan of bright colors and all that, but he swore to all Gods, or whoever was ruling this bleedin world, that if he ever got out of this Hell, nothing gray would ever be allowed in his house ever again.


Spike took a moment to massage his sore wrists then looked up, just as a few drops of cold rain splashed on his face.


“Bloody great.”


He shook his head in disbelief. Even the sky matched the surroundings. How appropriate. He took his pack of cigarettes out of his shirt pocket and lit one up, wondering if his sudden acute awareness of the décor’s drabness had anything to do with his earlier meeting with the new warden. The monotone environment seemed even duller when compared to the sparkling young woman.


“Get a grip mate…” Spike mumbled to himself, cigarette dangling from his lips.


He heard his name being called and turned to face in the direction where the voice came from. His friend Gunn was coming towards him.


“Hey man! What' you doin'g here? I thought for sure you’d disappear for a week after what happened in the cafeteria. How come they didn‘t throw your ass in isolation?”


Spike smirked. “Seems like there’s some kind of justice in this world after all. Who would have known.”


Gunn chuckled. “I know you survive on sarcasm Spike, but lets not push it.”


When there was no indication that his friend was going to say anything about what happened, Charles sighed and rolled his eyes at the blonde man.


“Am I gonna have to beat it out of you or are you gonna tell me what happened in there?”


Spike looked at Gunn like he'd just remembered the man was there.


“Oh. Right…” They started walking towards a more secluded area. “Nothing happened.”


Gunn gave Spike a ‘don’t give me that shit’ look. “So you’re telling me you almost killed a guy, got dragged by your hair out of the cafeteria and into the new warden’s office, and nothing happened? What kind of a fucking moron do you think I am?”


Spike flicked the remains of his cigarette away and sat on the cold ground with his back to the metal fence before answering.


“You’re mum would be very cross with you for using such foul language. I’m bloody fucking sure.”


“Ha. Ha. So, what happened?”


“Nothing. Happened. Got sent to the warden’s office, the chit asked me my side of the story, I told her what happened, and she sent me on my merry way.”


“Alright then.” Gunn seemed skeptical, but didn’t want to push the issue. He chose another tactic instead. “So, what was she like? You got to see her before everybody else, now you’re gonna have to share the details with your buddy. ”


“Real ugly thing. Old and fat, with those yellow teeth. Nasty.”


“You’re shitting me man.” Charles gave Spike a horrified look. They had all expected it to be bad, but never that bad.


“Yes I am. And it’s bloody entertaining.”


“Making you eat rocks would be entertaining too, but you don’t see me doing it.” Charles smiled smugly as Spike gave him the finger. “So, should I repeat the question? What does she look like?”


**A bloody vision of perfection and beauty. A goddess. With the most mesmerizing green eyes, hair like melted gold, and a smile that could brighten this Hellhole.**


“She was alright I guess. If you like the type. Short little California bird with the blonde hair and the tan.”


“Blonde California babe, huh? Just the type of chicks I dig.”


“Not a chance mate. Don’t waste a minute even thinking about the chit. She’s way out of your league, not to mention out of reach.” Spike wondered briefly who he was talking too when saying this. Gunn, or himself.


“Relax man. A guy’s allowed to fantasize. Besides, I haven‘t even seen her yet. But I can‘t wait now.”


“She owns your arse. The chit is here for one purpose, and one purpose only: make your life a living hell. Do you really want to start fantasizing about her? My advice to you mate is to be faithful to Halle and Beyonce. Besides, you’ll be disappointed.” Spike shrugged hoping to look casual. “She’s really not that hot.”


Ms. Summers leaning towards him, her blonde mane cascading over her shoulder, flashing him her million dollar smile.



The image crossed his mind briefly, but just long enough to make his cock twitch in his pants. His hand reached for his cigarettes of its own volition. He hoped Gunn didn’t notice the flame trembling when he lit the smoke. But his friend just kept on talking, oblivious to the blonde man’s state of mind.


“Yeah… I guess you’re right. My girls would get pissed if I’d think about some other chick. And if she’s working as penitentiary warden, there‘s gotta be something seriously wrong with her. Who in their right mind would chose to come to prison everyday? ”


“Strangely, it didn’t cross my mind to ask. Maybe you could attack someone, or try to escape. You’ll end up in her office and you can ask her yourself. Then you’ll have a month or two in isolation so you’ll have plenty of time to ponder her bloody answer.”


“Cute.” Charles snorted. “So, she really didn’t do anything to you? I still find it a little hard to believe that she’d let you go like that. It’s her first day at work, she’s got something to prove, doesn’t she? Not that I think you deserve discipline man. I mean, I was there. I know Parker attacked you for no reason other than he’s Parker.”


“She did discipline me a little.” Spike finally said.


“What, she got her paddle out of the closet and spanked you? Was it one of those black satin and pink feathers ones, with ‘dominatrix‘ written on it?”


“Do you even listen to the shit that comes out of your mouth?”


“Come on, what did she do?”


“Extra therapy sessions and she took me away from the license plates production line and sent me to work at the library. Permanently.”


“What?!” Gunn cried out indignantly. “Dude, that’s no punishment! You hate making license plates and love the library!”


Spike shrugged.


“What is this? Did you bat your pretty eyelashes at the woman?”


“Did not you wanker. And there’s nothing pretty ‘bout my eyelashes. They’re manly.”


Gunn took a good look at his friend. “Oh God, that’s why you don’t want to answer any questions! You like her! You liiiike her” he said in a sing-song voice, sounding like a twelve year old school boy.


“Would you sod off already and…”


Both men looked up when they heard someone clearing their throat to get attention. Two of the guys were standing there. Andrew and Jonathan. Also known as Spike’s most devoted groupies. Those two were the kind of guys that you’d imagine more easily sitting at home in front of their computers chatting about Star Wars, than as permanent occupants of a penitentiary. But they were in for massive Internet fraud as well as being accomplice in a girl’s murder. Their new occupation: stalking Spike.


Spike sighed, annoyed beyond words at seeing the two boys.


“What the bloody Hell do you want? Don’t you have someone else to drive stalkers? Go play D&D, exchange Star Trek cards… whatever it is you geeks do nowadays.”


When Andrew didn’t open his mouth to talk, Jonathan elbowed him in the ribs. Andrew yelped.


“Hey! That hurt you freak--Oh--yeah. Huh.. We, we were wondering…”


“We wanted to know, since you’ve met the new warden before everybody else, and we think that’s pretty neato what you did to that jerk Parker by the way, he soooo deserved it for attacking you like that, he’s such a jerk… and that cool move you did… man, how did you do that? It looked like something right out of Star wars, you know in Return of the Jedi when…”


Gunn growled. “If you don’t stop rambling and cut to the chase, you have no idea what I’m gonna do to you.”


Jonathan’s eyes bulged out comically at the threat. “Right. Anyway, what’s she like? Cause, you know, to be mentally prepared. Is she really bad? What does she look like? Is she like…”


Spike rubbed his temples, feeling the headache forming. “You starting to turn blue there, Spock. Take a deep breath.”


Andrew gave Jonathan a nasty look and hissed between his teeth: “Shut up, he’ll think we’re losers.”


Spike didn’t even bother pretending he didn’t hear. “I pretty much already think you are, so don’t worry bout it.” He rolled his eyes at the two geeks. “She’s a real evil bint, alright? Now you be good nerds and be on your merry way.”


“What do you mean she’s evil? What did she do?” Andrew asked, curious.


“She’s real scary. Yelled a lot, gave me enough shit to do that I’ll have to come back after I die to finish. Now leave. I’m sure you’re dying to tell everybody.”


Spike flicked his cigarette butt at them with a scold on his face. They backed up hurriedly, not wanting to push their luck.


“Why did you lie?”


“Don’t know. The bird’s been real nice to me, I’d be the biggest wanker in the world if I’d go tell everybody. How would she get respect if she already has the reputation of being soft on her first day on the job?”


“You liiiiiike her!”


“And do you like your teeth the way they are? Cause I can rearrange them if you don’t shut your bloody gob.”


Gunn made kissing noises and laughed when Spike gave him a warning growl.


“What are you? Twelve?”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“LIGHTS OUT.”


Spike stared at the shadows on the wall for the longest time, listening to the not so familiar prison’s sounds. He had been told that you get used to it after a while and don’t even hear it anymore, but it had been six months for him and it still felt like his first day… everyday.


That old saying about getting used to everything? That was bullocks. Certain things were just too horrible for a human mind to get past. Maybe it depended on who you were. Spike could see how a ruthless murderer, a rapist, or someone who spent the best years of his life in unmentionable dives and dark alleys, could possibly call this place home. After all, you had free food. Not very good, but still. And you had cable TV, a gym, you could even study if you felt like it. For some, it was the bloody Hilton, that‘s what it was. Or maybe more like the Super 8 motel.


But this world was not his. He didn’t belong there. He had always loved things of beauty. The little boy who grew up wanting to become a poet or write stories about love and fantasy worlds, was lost in the confined cell. The only freedom he had left was his imagination.


Spike closed his eyes, trying to erase from his mind the images of the steel bars, the concrete floor and walls, the chair bolted to the floor. He felt so exposed in the open cell, under the very thin blanket; Snyder, his cell mate, snoring loudly in the cot right underneath his own.


The noises were so near that he could almost hear Gunn breathing in his own cell. He forced himself to block the sounds out. To not feel the rough blanket against his skin. The cold. It was all making it hard for him to escape to his own world. But he was trying anyway. Every night he was trying, but now, he had a motivation. She made it easier. Behind his closed eyelids, he saw the world as it should be.


He was walking across UCLA’s campus under the bright afternoon sun. He had never met Drusilla Blackwell. Didn’t know the name. Angel and Darla didn’t even exist. Just him, under the sun. Free.
There was a new literature teacher and she wanted to see him to talk about one of his papers. At least that‘s what the email he received earlier said. He hadn‘t even had a class with her yet so he didn‘t know what to expect.


Spike turned on his side, wincing as the cot protested loudly. He curled up in a protective manner. Habit he picked up on his very first horrible night in jail.


Spike walked through a long succession of sunny hallways and came to a stop in front of the teacher’s office. She had obviously just moved into the office because the plaque on the door hadn’t been changed. Instead, a piece of paper covered it and a delicate handwriting said: Buffy Summers.


His light knock on the door was quickly answered by a feminine voice.


“Come in please.”


Spike pushed the door open. There she was. His dream girl. Looking like a goddess. The sunrays streaming through the window behind her were putting a halo around her golden hair making her look like a vision. God she was perfect. The strap of her yellow sundress sliding down her tanned shoulder…


Spike frowned. *Sundress? Not very teacher-like… Oi! Sod off! It’s my bloody dream and she’ll wear a sundress if I want her to.*

He rolled his eyes at his own internal argument, and reached down under the blanket to touch his already painfully hard erection. His cock jumped, desperately needing the attention.


Spike just stood there without saying a word. He couldn’t have even if he wanted to. They were staring at each other, the electricity flying between them. She finally broke the silence.


“Mr. Rayne, right?”


He nodded numbly. “…William.”


“Shut the door and lock it, William.”


Spike took hold of his hard cock and gave it a few slow strokes. He stiffened a moan, not wanting to attract attention to himself.


“You wanted to see me Ms. Summers?”


Buffy crooked her finger and motioned for him to approach.


“I saw you this morning walking around campus” She said in a breathy voice, shaking her golden hair on her shoulders.


Spike took a step towards where she was sitting on her desk.


“I just needed to find out who you were and… “ She waited, looking at him as he got closer. “…meet you in person.”


He was so close that he could feel her breath on his face, smell her perfume. Her tiny little hand reached down to caress the bulge that had been forming in his pants. She never broke eye contact while her nimble little fingers were tracing the contour of his penis through the fabric of his trouser. Her lips were so moist and shiny… so close he could almost taste her.


Without a warning, she unzipped his pants and took his throbbing cock out.


Spike gripped his cock harder and started pumping at a fast pace, trying to convince himself that it was Buffy giving him a hand job, not himself. It was getting harder to stay quiet but it wouldn’t do to have a guard walking in front of his cell and bring attention to him by making some loud, rude comment--they did it all the time, but he himself never got caught. Thank God. He really wasn’t the “public display” kinda guy.


“I want you William. As soon as I saw you, I knew I had to have you.”


She jerked him faster, then, feeling that he was about to come, reached down with her other hand to caress his balls. Her eyes never left his.



Spike did the same while the vision of Buffy smiled at him. He took some of the toilet paper he had left by his cot and came in it, hiding his face in his pillow to keep quiet.


Spike calmed down and shut his eyes tightly as realization sunk in.


*The warden, you BLOODY, STUPID, IDIOTIC, WANKER. THE SODDIN WARDEN!! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR GODDAMN MIND?! Argh!*


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4: Every night

A/N: Good? Bad? Hot? Blah? Enjoyable? Borring? Let me know! ;-)
Every night by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: The lyrics at the end of the chapter are from Burn, by The Cure.


CHAPTER 4: Every night


The blond man tossed and turned on the small, uncomfortable bed. As usual, he was restless and caught in the nightmare. Always the same. His past was haunting him through his sleep and he couldn’t escape. Prisoner of the cold building during the day, prisoner of his dreams at night. ,



His heart was racing, the blood pounding in his ears. His palms were clammy. The hallway seemed to stretch out indefinitely in front of him. The lights seemed dimmer than usual… his vision blurry.
He wanted to get there fast and get it over with. Quick. The way you remove a band aid. One swift motion so it doesn’t hurt too much. And at the same time, the closer he got from the bedroom door, the more he wanted to turn on his heel and run away. As far away from this place as he could, and never come back to this God forsaken place.


The laughter and sounds of passion were getting louder. He did not want to relive this. He did not chose to come back here. But somehow, he did. Every time he relived it, he couldn’t remember exactly what happened next, but somehow he knew he had been there before and it wouldn’t be good.


He put one foot in front of the other, as if he was caught in a play he knew by heart and had no choice but to play his part. To do everything the way it was supposed to happen.


William wasn’t an idiot. He might have been somewhat naïve and foolish when it came to love, but he knew what was going on. He had known for a long time, despite trying to repress the horrifying idea. He was now one step away from facing it once and for all and he didn‘t want to.


He stopped in front of the bedroom door, the moaning echoing in his head. So familiar. The sounds that used to make him so proud because he was the one causing them. But not this time. This time, he was standing outside the bedroom door and someone else was in there.


Taking a deep breath, William put a hand on the door. It was already cracked open so all he had to do was push to make it open slowly, with a fatality that fit the situation perfectly.


Everything was blurry. As if he was walking surrounded by fog. He saw nothing. Wasn’t aware of his surroundings. He was so deeply in shock over the scene displayed in front of him that he couldn’t even see Angel standing by the door wearing nothing but a maniacal smile. The tall man was only two feet away and yet, Spike couldn’t even realize he was there. He couldn’t see Darla either, laying on the bed with her hand between Drusilla’s legs. Her high pitched laughter seemed to be coming from everywhere. His subconscious knew they were all there, but all he could see was Drusilla. She was so perfectly clear in his sight. Her white skin glowing on the equally while satin sheets she was so found of. Her raven black hair a stunning contrast on the white satin pillows.


He hadn’t even acknowledged the deafening sharp bang. Didn’t know where it came from, or what it was. He could only stare. He stared as the ruby red spot on the snow white sheets grew larger and larger until it covered almost all of the bed. It was an eerie sight, really.


He looked down at the gun that had appeared in his hand… He didn’t know when, or how. The horror of all this took him by surprise. As if suddenly waking up. He opened his hand and the gun dropped to the floor in slow motion. Darla was still laughing.


Drusilla sat up, pointing a bloody finger at him.


“Poor sweet William. The moon and the stars played a nasty trick on you didn’t they? I hear them laughing. Naughty, they are. The night has taken you and won’t let you go play with the sun anymore because you have filthy, filthy, hands. Soiled with my blood…”


Tears where streaming down his handsome face, unbeknownst to him. “I didn’t kill you! I didn’t!”


Blood escaped her cherry red lips as she smiled, then started laughing.



“I didn’t… I didn’t…”


“Oh for God’s sake! Will you wake up, you lunatic!”


Spike gasped, trying to catch his breath. He looked around, trying to understand where he was and what was happening. His eyes finally landed on the very unappealing face of Snyder.


The little man snorted in disgust. “Some people would appreciate getting some sleep--if it fits into your schedule, somewhere between the whimpering and the yelling.”


“Shut your bloody gob, rat face” Spike spat at his cellmate.


Snyder went back to his own cot, mumbling under his breath. “Every night. EVERY single night… Freak.”




Sleep a while
You must be tired...
But every night I burn
Every night I call your name
Every night I burn
Every night I fall again
Every night I burn
Scream the animal scream
Every night I burn
Dream the crow black dream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 5: A little motivation
A little motivation by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 5: A little motivation


She had done it. She had finally done it. Buffy had fallen asleep. Of course, she wasn’t there anymore to marvel on that fact, but if she had been able to comment, she would have said: “Thank you God.”


But her sleep was not that different from her previous state. She was tossing and turning, every bit as restless as she had been earlier when awake.



The young teenage girl was led down a corridor with her hands in front of her, the handcuffs shining brightly in the harsh artificial light of the neon. The police station was buzzing with activity despite the ungodly hour.


**I guess criminals don’t sleep** Buffy thought somberly.


“Sit here.” The female officer who was leading her instructed. “Your mother is in there talking to the sergeant.” The officer knocked and walked in.


Buffy sprawled on the uncomfortable chair, trying her best to look unimpressed and annoyed. To the casual observer, it probably worked. But inside, she was a mess. It might have been her third time at the police station, but she still found it nerve wrecking. She was scared shitless. She really didn’t feel all that tough at the moment.


The officer came back out and told Buffy she could go inside.


Buffy walked in, dragging her feet and looking down. Her blonde hair was falling in front of her face like a shield. She heard the heavy sigh coming from her mother but didn’t look up.


The man sitting on the other side of the desk asked her to take a seat. She was well prepared to answer him as rudely as possible and refuse to sit, but his voice was so soothing and firm that she did as asked.


**Must be the British accent** she thought, still looking at her combat boots like they held the answers to some deep existential questions.


“Will you look at me Miss Summers? I’d like us to talk like grown ups. So put down the façade please. I can see right through it anyway so you’re just wasting your energy trying to keep it up.”


Buffy reluctantly looked up at the man talking to her. For a second there, she found that she couldn’t breath. Her eyes widened at the sight of his handsome features. It was as if he didn’t belong in that cold, impersonal, environment. There was a calm strength rolling off of him in waves. Passion in his blue eyes. She felt as if his gaze could see her soul and almost giggled out loud as a funny image crossed her mind. The man was wearing nothing but a white loincloth, sandals on his feet, a sword in his hand and wings behind his back, like some kind of an archangel. A smile tugged at her lips and she let out a derisive snort at the somewhat ridiculous thought that had popped into her head.


“Something funny?”


**Get a grip girl** she scolded herself.


“No sir. Nothing.”


Her mother finally opened her mouth. “Buffy, honey, please listen to what Mr. Rayne has to say.”


The young girl cast a quick guilty glance towards her mother, then her eyes settled back on the sergeant.


“I’m sorry sir--look, I’m not gonna do it again, ok? I’ll just be on my way and I promise to be a good girl from now on. No more fighting or anything. Cross my heart…”


“Not that easy this time Buffy.”


“Oh--you mean… Oh God! I’m not going to a foster home, am I? Or one of those places for delinquent teenagers, or, or…”


“No, you’re going to jail.” Sergeant Rayne gave her a warm smile that didn’t fit the seriousness of what he just said.


Buffy paled dramatically and gripped the armrests of her chair until her knuckles turned white. “… What?! But, you can’t! I’m 17. Minors don’t go to jail unless they’ve killed people and stuff, right? RIGHT?”


The handsome British man laughed goodheartedly. “Relax Buffy, I didn’t say we were putting you behind bars. But at the rate you’re going, that’s most likely where you’ll end up. I don’t understand Buffy. You look like a smart, strong, young woman with a lot of potential. What do you rebel against?”


The blonde man leaned forward, his weight resting on his elbows, obviously waiting for an answer.


Buffy looked away. “Dunno.” She finally mumbled.


He merely raised an eyebrow.


She shifted on her chair, uncomfortable under his scrutiny. “You know--stuff. Unfairness. The world in general. It all sucks.”


“So, correct me if I’m wrong, but you don’t like society so you hit people on the back of the head with bar stools and beer bottles?”


Buffy snorted, offended. “Hey, just the ones who deserve it ok.”


“But honey,” Joyce started. “You used to be such a good girl, with good grades, friends… What happened?”


“What happened?! I opened my eyes, that’s what happened! People are mean. I’ve seen stuff… So called friends kicking someone who’s already on the floor, hurting people who are too weak to defend themselves, for popularity’s sake. Well I’m done standing by and laughing with them. That’s what happened. That girl I sent to the hospital tonight… She deserved it. She said something unthinkable to another human being and I wasn’t just gonna let it slip. So go ahead, send me to jail. I don’t give a fuck.”


“Buffy! Language!”


Sergeant Rayne ignored her mother, focusing all his attention on the young girl sitting in the chair in front of him.


“Your intentions are good, but you’re on the wrong track luv. Continue this way, and you’ll spend your life in prison. You have to focus this need for justice and put it to good use. You’re a good person, with strong beliefs , and there are very few people like you. So don’t waste it.


“Mr. Rayne had an idea honey.” Joyce added. “He knows someone at the LA county jail and he thought that maybe you could work there part time for a little while. Just during the weekends…”


Buffy’s eyes darted from her mom to the sergeant fearfully. “What?.. No! I can’t do that! I mean, I’m not--I couldn’t--possibly…”


“Sure you can.” The sergeant gave her a warm smile that illuminated his handsome face. “You can do this. You are strong enough. And who knows, maybe it will be a revelation for you. Maybe that’s where you need to be.”


He looked straight into her eyes, blue clashing with green, and for a moment, they were alone in the office.


“You need to believe in yourself, and believe that you can do this. You believe in justice, don’t you? What better place for you to be then? And… maybe someone needs you in there. Maybe someone needs justice to be done and you’re the only one who can do it…”



The annoying sound seemed to be coming from everywhere at once. Buffy just lay on her back, eyes still closed, wondering sleepily what the hell was making that noise. She growled when she finally realized what it was: the phone. Reaching out blindly, she got a hold of the offending thing and answered.


“…What?”


“Rude much.” Came the perky voice of Cordelia through the receiver.


“Mghrhmmm”


“Sorry, I don’t speak cave Buffy. Care to translate?”


“What do you want?”


Cordelia let out an audible offended breath. “I put my alarm clock three hours early to wish my best friend good luck and that’s what I get for my trouble?”


Buffy chuckled. “As if.”


“Fine, fine. I had to get up for a business meeting. I’m having breakfast with the owner of a new store on Rodeo drive who’s interested in my clothing line. But still, my intentions were pure.”


“Thanks Cor. And good luck with your meeting.”


“So,” the other girl asked, “any dreams about prison boy?”


“Sorry to disappoint, but no.” Buffy lied, biting her lower lip. “Johnny Depp saved me from a mob of evil bunnies in Prague.”


She wasn’t going to tell Cordelia how ‘prison boy’ took the place of the overweight, bald, officer who sent her to work at L.A. county prison ten years ago in her dream. Things had happened differently back then, for one thing, the guy hadn’t been interested in finding out why exactly she was rebelling--not that she would have told him about Tara anyway--and wasn’t sending her there so she could find a career. He just wanted to scare the shit out of her. In the dream, Spike had been sitting behind the desk and telling her to believe in herself and basically, to help him. But except for that, everything had been the same.


“Evil bunnies, huh?”


“Maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something?”


“Yeah. That you’re deranged.”


“Bitch.”


“Loony.”


“Wallmart designer.”


“Ouch.”


Buffy laughed. “Did I get the last word on this one? That would be a first.”


“I’ll give you this one, but don’t get used to it. Gotta go hon, I just burned a red light and nearly killed some old lady crossing the street. But good luck today.”


“Thanks Cordy. I should talk to you every morning, you put me in a good mood.”


“That would be the Cordelia Chase Harris curse: I try to be a bitch, and all I manage to do is put a smile on peoples faces. Call me later.”


“Will do.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Silence!”


The voice of the usually calm and collected Rupert Giles echoed throughout the cafeteria, efficiently getting the attention of the prisoners.


Buffy was holding her hands behind her back to hide the tremors her nervousness was causing. She might have worked with cons for ten years, but it was the first time she was going to address them all at once and she couldn‘t help the uncertainty crawling under her skin. She was standing with the rest of the prison staff who had been assembled for the speech, and so far, no one had noticed her. Well, that wasn’t entirely true. She had spotted Spike almost right away--he was sitting on the side alone with another con--a really tall black guy--and he was looking straight at her.


She realized that Giles was still talking, and she had missed most of what he said.


“… and I hope that unlike yesterday, you’ll be on your best behavior. So here she is, your new warden.”


Buffy took a step forward, trying to look determined, an ‘I’m in charge’ look on her face. But she wasn’t feeling it, and people can always sense that.


“Hello everyone, I’m… “


Her words were lost in a sea of lewd comments, cheers and laughter. She waited for them to calm down but it didn‘t seem like they would any time soon. Then, she cast a quick glance towards Spike. He was still looking at her, smiling encouragingly, and she automatically felt more confident.


Buffy took another couple of steps, coming to stand near the first tables. Giles reached out to stop her, obviously worried for her safety, but she ignored him.


“ENOUGH!” She yelled, her voice surprisingly loud for such a tiny woman. It shocked everyone into silence.


“As I was saying, my name is Buffy Summers and I’m your new warden. I might be a woman, and I might not look very intimidating, but I won’t take shit from any of you. I have the power to make your life miserable. As long as you remember this, we’ll get along just fine. Is that clear?”


She could see from the corner of her eye that Spike’s smile had grown wider.


Everything was going to be just fine. The Spike in her dream was right: she could do this.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 6: Life isn't always fair to gentlemen
Life isn't always fair to gentlemen by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 6: Life isn't always fair to gentlemen


Extending an arm in front of her, the young warden pushed the seemingly endless piles of papers and files cluttering her desk to the side and sighed tiredly. Resting her weight on her elbows, Buffy massaged her sore temples and closed her eyes, willing the headache to go away, without much success.


Giles poked his head through the open door of her office. The security headquarters, where his own office was located, was a little further down the hall. In the week she had been working there, he made a habit of stopping by to chat once in a while, when her office door was open and he had a minute to himself.


He cleared his throat to get her attention. “I got you some coffee. You look like you might need it. You‘ve had your head buried in those documents all morning.”


“My hero! You are, by far, my favorite person in the world right now. Thank you so much.” She gestured for him to have a seat while taking the paper cup from him.


“No need to thank me Buffy. I just noticed that you’ve been working at your desk since you arrived this morning and thought you might need a break. And after working around her for a few years now, I realize Harmony does have a tendency to be forgetful about these things. It’s not that she doesn’t try, it’s just that--If you ask her for a coffee, you will be lucky to get it sometime during the next week.”


Buffy laughed at this. “Yes, but I think I’ll keep her anyway. Despite her lack of decorum, she seems to be a sweet girl and she’s not doing such a bad job. She can be annoying sometimes, but nothing I can’t deal with. I guess as long as I accept the fact that I’ll have to get my own coffee, we’ll be fine. Thanks for checking on me though, I appreciate it. You have no idea how much my brain cells needed a break right now. I swear, I‘m looking at you, and I can still see legal documents dancing in front of my eyes.”


Giles glanced at the piles of files on Buffy’s desk. “Am I wrong in assuming that your predecessor left you with a tremendous amount of unfinished projects to sort through?”


“You’re right on. The son of a… “ Buffy caught herself, and gave Giles an innocent smile. “I mean, Mr. Wilkins left a gigantic mess behind. I’m sure he’s roasting on some Mexican beach, a playboy model rubbing sun tan lotion on his back, and he’s laughing at me right now.” Buffy frowned, suddenly unsure. “He IS the corrupted one you were talking about, right? Or is he the one who killed himself? In which case, he’s probably roasting in hell for this.” She pointed at the work scattered all over her desk.


“Corrupted one.” Giles confirmed with a smile. “He stole a great deal of money from the prison. But… you’re probably already aware of that.”


The blonde woman snorted and rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I got that memo. Is there anything he didn’t do? The guy was way evil.”


“I’m afraid he was, yes.”


Buffy stretched in her chair, rolling her neck and pulling her arms above her head. She made a face at the soreness in her tired limbs.


“You know Giles, I’ve been sitting here for hours and my butt is kinda numb. What about doing that inspection of the facilities I’ve been putting off for a week? Are you up to it?”


“Of course. We could do it now if you wish.”


“Yes, I think I need a change of scenery before I go insane.”


Buffy got up, grabbed her jacket from the back of her leather chair. She fumbled for a moment, trying to find her clipboard and a pen that worked, then she followed Giles out of the office.


When they walked pass Harmony’s desk, the perky blonde secretary stopped them.


“Oh boss? Ms. Osborne called.”


Buffy frowned in confusion. “Who?”


Harmony rolled her eyes at her. “Hello! The criminologist? She works here? Anyway, she said she’ll come back from her vacation a day early to have a chance to meet with you.”


Buffy took a deep breath not to snap at the girl. “And that’d be when exactly Harmony?”


“Well duh, Friday.”


“Fine. Block some time on my schedule would you?”


“On it!” Harmony carefully wrote it down on her pad, then smiled at Buffy, obviously pleased with herself.


Buffy just shook her head and followed Giles down the corridor.


“This girl amazes me. It’s like we speak two different languages.”


“Don’t worry too much about it. Took me at least two years to get what the bloody hell that girl was talking about. You’ll get the hang of it… eventually.”


“Yeah, I won’t keep my hopes up. I might have to hire a translator eventually or I risk a permanent headache.”


They passed the metal detectors, then a few bulletproof glass doors and into the secure area. Two other guards accompanied them in case of trouble.


That’s how started what seemed like days of walking, listening to Giles pointing out the things he had been wanting to bring to her attention and taking notes on her clipboard. This wasn’t getting rid of her headache at all, but at least they were moving. She had desperately needed to ease the cramps in her legs caused by the long hours sitting behind her desk. Immobility wasn’t one of Buffy Summers’ favorite things. She was more of an action girl. Always had been.


But stepping into the workout area, Buffy’s need for action was about to be fulfilled dramatically.


“The camera in this corner, in my humble opinion, isn’t in the right angle. It should be moved or another one should be added so we can get a better coverage… “


Giles was suddenly interrupted by loud shouting coming from the other end of the room, followed by the sound of people fighting.


Automatically, the two security guards who had been following them quietly during the tour of the facilities sprang into action. They rushed to where a convict was just about to hit another with a 50 pound dumbbell, while the other cons cheered him on and started fighting amongst themselves.


The security guard on duty in the workout area ran to help them. Some of the prisoners decided to take advantage of the disruption to rush the exit but Giles saw it and made them back up. He wasn’t paying attention to Buffy anymore.


Engrossed in what was happening, and yelling orders in her two way radio, Buffy wasn’t paying attention either. She didn’t notice the con coming at her from behind until it was too late. She turned, just in time to have his meaty fist smashed into her stomach. She lost her wind long enough for him to throw her out of his way, and headfirst into the nearest wall.


Buffy blinked several times, trying to fight the darkness that threatened to swallow her. A face came into focus in her sight and she could hear his voice calling to her. It sounded very far away.


“Buffy… Ms. Summers! Are you alright? Don’t close your eyes luv, stay with me.”


It was Spike. She wanted to answer him, but then he was gone, and everything went black.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“I’m alright… I’m fine… not closing my eyes, just resting them…” Buffy mumbled, slowly coming to.


She opened her eyes carefully. She blinked at the sudden harshness of the overhead light and looked around, surprised that Spike wasn’t there anymore. In his place was a girl that she remembered for being… What was her name again? Annie? Hanna? She looked around herself, trying to figure out where she was. She wasn’t in the workout area anymore. It looked like the infirmary.


**How the hell did I get here so fast? I just closed my eyes for like two seconds. Did someone finally figure out the secret to teleportation?**


Thinking hurt her head and she groaned before closing her eyes again.


“Don’t close your eyes and pretend that you’re still unconscious. I heard you groan.”


Buffy opened her eyes again and this time, the nurse’s face was mere inches from her own, making her jump.


“You’re gonna have a very unappealing bump on your head. But except for that, you’re perfectly fine and physically able to go on with your normal activities without worrying. Maybe you shouldn’t drive your car though. You’d probably end up killing someone. But hey, on the brighter side,” she added with a bright smile, “orgasms don‘t require concentration. So you can have them without risk.”


Buffy stared at the girl with her mouth open. Now she remembered what the girl’s name was. “… Anya, right?”


“Yes.” Anya smiled at her, obviously pleased that her employer remembered her name. “We met the day of your speech, but we haven’t had a chance to talk since.”


Buffy gave her a tight smile. **Oh joy, the girl was already making my head hurt when I was perfectly healthy. Now, she’s gonna kill me for sure.**


“Spike… “ Buffy started asking. “What happened to him?”


“Oh, don’t worry. He’s being taken care of. I’ll go and ask someone to drive you home. You look awful.” The brunette turned around without waiting for an answer, and left the room.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The punch hit him square in the jaw and Spike fell on his knees, spitting out blood. He had already received a few solid ones to the ribs and by the pain radiating throughout his torso, he could tell they’d probably broken one or two.


“No bloody fair to hit a man who can’t defend himself you wankers.” He hissed through clenched teeth.


He had been dragged more roughly than usual towards isolation, but they really lashed out at him when he had asked if the warden was all right. He didn’t know exactly why but wasn‘t going to ask either.


One of the guards grabbed the back of his shirt and unceremoniously threw Spike headfirst in the isolation cell.


“You can expect to rot in here for a lifetime or two, Spike. And after what you did, we might even forget about your sorry ass. Nobody would miss you. ”


The other guard laughed.


Spike didn’t bother to answer. He wiped the blood from his face and sat back against the wall of the cell. He could be honest with himself and admit that he was usually actively looking for trouble. But for once, he didn’t think he did anything to deserve this treatment. He had only tried to protect the young woman from the ongoing fight.


**Right. Like fairness has any part to play in my bloody soddin life anyway** He thought somberly.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The cab dropped Buffy off in front of her house, and the driver helped her reach the front door.


“You sure you alright miss? You look like a ghost.”


“I’ll be just fine sir, don’t worry. I’m tougher than I look. Thanks for your help.”


Buffy’s smile faded as soon as the cab driver turned to walk away. She felt like shit. It felt like her head was double its normal size.


She made her way to her bedroom and let herself sink into her plush bed. She was starting to think that she might take Giles’ advice after all, and take a few days off.


**I’ll have to make sure to thank Spike when I get back to work** She thought drowsily before drifting off to sleep.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 7: French lessons


A/N: And please, don't forget Fanfiction Authors' drug of choice: Review! Please, gimme some! ;-)
French Lessons by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 7: French lessons



Monday morning, Buffy decided that she was rested enough to go back to work. She had spent Thursday, Friday and the weekend home, wrapped in her afghan and watching movies. Now her head was feeling much better, and she was bored to tears. She knew that one more day off and she’d never be able to catch up on her work at the prison. She was so eager to get back that she made it to her office before the night staff had been relieved. That’s where Giles found her, so engrossed in what she was doing that she didn’t even hear him knock.


“Buffy? What a surprise! I thought for sure you’d be gone for another few days. How are you feeling?”


Buffy smiled up at him, and leaned back in her chair. “I was doing much better until I realized just how much of a set back this whole ordeal has been. I’m behind on everything I had to do. I’m gonna have to put in a lot of extra hours this week if I want to catch up.”


The young woman got up and went to the brand new coffee maker she had installed in a corner of her office. She poured two cups.


“A coffee maker?” Giles chuckled from where he was standing in the doorway.


“Well yeah. It was the only logical solution to my problem. Harmony won’t get me coffee, and I’m too lazy to walk all the way to the staff lunchroom and get it myself. So I went to Wallmart yesterday and got my very own coffee machine. This way everyone’s happy.”


Buffy turned around and rolled her eyes dramatically when she noticed that Giles was being his usual British self. He was staying politely by the door, waiting to be invited in. She chuckled and shook her head. “Come on Giles, don’t just stand there. Have a seat.”


As he walked in and sat down in front of her, she handed him a cup of coffee. He gave her a grateful smile.


“You know, you don’t have to be so polite and proper with me. We’ve only known each other for a little more than a week, but I consider you a friend already. Or at least,” She added, suddenly unsure, “I was hoping we could be friends--eventually.”


“Of course, Buffy. I do like you very much.” He said warmly. “I just wasn’t sure where I stood with you and didn’t want to be overly familiar. But if you don’t mind the familiarity…”


“I don’t mind at all Giles. I told you, as long as we’re not around prisoners, there’s no ‘rank’ between us, all right?”


“As you wish, Buffy. So…” He hesitated, obviously fighting his instinct for formality. “Huh--How was your weekend?”


Buffy almost laughed at how flustered he looked, but she managed to keep a straight face. After all, he was making an effort.


“I almost turned into a vegetable. At one point, I thought I would start growing roots. I spent the weekend on the couch. Nothing very exciting. But I guess I needed that. It had been a long time since I’d had time to pamper myself like that. You probably noticed already, I’m kind of a workaholic. It’s always all work and no play for Buffy. I rarely take time for myself like I did this weekend.”


“Yes, I did notice. I can already tell that you’ll be doing a fantastic job here. I’ve been working in this prison for over twenty years and of all the wardens I’ve dealt with, you’re the first one who seems to love the job. Though putting your work before your own happiness cannot be healthy. Surely you have other activities? Friends, family, love interest?”


This time, Buffy laughed out loud. “If that’s the way you feel, I guess I’ll wait before asking you how things have been here since I left.”


She grinned playfully at him and he shook his head slightly.


“To answer your question, no, I don’t have that many people in my life. My mom lives in San Francisco where she owns an art gallery. We call each other once in a while, but she’s busy. My father has been MIA for years now. He’s probably on a yacht somewhere in Greece with his barely legal mistress. And I have a younger sister, Dawn, who’s a student at UCLA. She‘s the smart one in the family. She‘s been in Paris perfecting her French for the past four months. She came back three weeks ago but I hadn‘t had a chance to see her yet.”


“What about friends?”


“The only close friends I have are Cordelia and Xander. We were always together in high school but now that we’re grown ups and living in different cities, it’s getting harder to see each other. They got married when we finished school and have a little girl, Camille.” She paused, pretending to be thinking hard about this. “Yup. That would sum up my very pathetic social life. As far as love is concerned--I gave up on that a while ago. I have the worst taste in men and it always ends badly. I‘m much better off single. Less drama.”


“Nonsense. You are a beautiful, bright, young woman. You can’t possibly tell me that you gave up on love already because of a few bad experiences. There’s no point in living without love. You just haven’t found the one yet. Give it some time.”


“I don’t know. I’ve never really been in love before. I’ve had a couple of innocent crushes when I was in high school, but it wasn’t love. And usually, the guys I dated were jerks or just plain weird. But what about you, Giles? Did you find the one?”


Giles cleared his throat uncomfortably. He was obviously not used to talking about himself so openly. “Well, huh.. I don’t know if… she’s the one or not, but I have been seeing Anya, the new nurse. She’s special. Strangely enough, I like her bluntness. It takes getting used to at first, but you never have to guess with her. It‘s… refreshing.”


The blonde girl just stared at him, mouth gapping. “Anya? No way! That’s… great! Wow, you guys are so--different.”


Giles took off his glasses and started cleaning them. “I understand your surprise. We are indeed quite different. But you know what they say: opposites attract. I’ve never really believed that old saying before, but I’m starting to think maybe it is true after all. Perhaps I could introduce her to the delicate art of tact, and in return, she could help me loosen up a bit.” Giles said with a mischievous glint in his blue eyes.


Buffy chuckled.


Giles looked at his watch and got up. “I really should get going. I have quite a lot of work to do today and I’m sure you do too.”


“All right. It was nice to finally have a chance to talk. The rest of the staff isn’t very friendly. Half of them still look at me like I’m some kind of a joke, and the other half just ignore me.”


“They’ll come around, Buffy. Just give them some time.”


“Yeah, I know.” She sighed. “But it’s just depressing. Alright, enough self pity. I’ll see you later.”


Giles turned to leave, but remembering that she had planned on meeting with Spike later on, she stopped him. “I almost forgot--could you…”


Buffy interrupted herself when Harmony walked in. She gave her secretary a questioning look.


“Here you go.” The bubbly blonde gave her boss her brightest smile while dropping on her desk a mountain of documents. The top of the pile was decorated with what looked like a field of yellow post-its. Harmony’s trademark.


“What are those, Harm?”


“Urgent stuff that accumulated while you were on your unplanned vacation.”


“I wasn’t on vac--never mind. And what are the post-its for exactly?”


“Things scheduled for today and other things that need attending to. Like the showers have started acting funky this weekend and the guys are getting majorly pissed off. Cold water is supposed to make your hair shinier. They should be happy, but they‘re not. Go figure. You also have a meeting with the caterers at 11am about that food poisoning last week. But--It’s all there on the little post-its, and in order of priority. I’m sure you can read it yourself.”


The more Harmony talked, the more Buffy’s shoulders slouched.


“Thank you. That was very considerate of you.” She said in a barely concealed mocking tone that Harmony missed completely.


“No problem boss.” She walked out, forgetting to shut the door behind her as usual.


Buffy sighed deeply in front of the workload that awaited her. She finally noticed Giles still standing expectantly by the door. She gave him a puzzled look.


“You were saying something before Harmony walked in.” He reminded her.


“Oh. Yeah. But you know what, forget about it. I won’t have time today. It’s something I can do tomorrow. If I’m still alive.”


“I will let you get to work then.”


He closed the door after him, and Buffy took the first post-it, needing to start somewhere. It said:


Contact maintenance for shower repair to avoid riot



It was written in pink, and the “i” in “riot” had a little heart shaped dot on it.


Buffy rolled her eyes dramatically. This was gonna be a long day.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy grinned happily when her house came into view and she saw who was waiting for her. She turned the steering wheel sharply to engage her little sports car in the driveway. Anybody who would have witnessed the maneuver would have gasped in fear when the red car stopped no more than half an inch from the garage door, but not the dark haired girl who was sprawled comfortably on the front porch stairs. She had seen much worse displays of Buffy’s horrible driving in her lifetime. Which was the reason why she would never set foot in a car with her, even if Orlando Bloom himself asked her to. The young girl had her pretty face upturned to enjoy the warm sun, long chocolate brown hair and expensive sunglasses shining in the late afternoon light. Buffy slammed her car door and walked towards her. As she approached, the girl finally jumped up to her feet.


“Dawn!” Buffy exclaimed happily. “Oh my God, I’ve missed you so much!” She hugged the taller girl fiercely.


“Moi aussi! Je me suis ennuyée de toi comme tu ne peux pas savoir. Comment va ma soeur préferée?”


“Huh?”


The look on Buffy’s face was priceless and Dawn couldn’t help but laugh.


“I said: Me too. I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed you. How’s my favorite sister doing?”


Buffy pouted. “Yeah, yeah. Go ahead,” She said while unlocking the front door. “brag. Make fun of your poor sister. One summer in France and you come back fluent? How fair is that? I know you’re supposed to be the brain of the family, but seriously…”


“Oh come on, you’re just jealous.” She said, walking past Buffy and into the house. “Is it my fault if I took three years of French in high school and actually showed up for class? Which is more than you can say. When you finished high school, all you could manage was ‘Je ne parle pas français’”


“Did I say I was glad to see you? I must have lost my mind there for a second.” The grin on her face denied her words. She missed bickering with her younger sibling. They had spoken on the phone once in a while when she was overseas, but it wasn’t the same.


Dawn dropped her backpack by the door and looked around, a glimmer of curiosity lighting up her blue eyes.


“Do I get the grand tour of ‘Casa del Summers’? I’m the only one who hasn’t seen your new house yet.”


Buffy put her arm around her sister’s slender shoulders. “And who’s fault would that be for coming back the day before college started?”


Dawn pretended to analyze the question carefully. “Louis-Philipe’s fault actually. But he was well worth it. He had eyes like the Mediterranean Sea. Too bad he was married with two kids my age. Le salaud.” She blurted out with a straight face.


“What?!”


She giggled, happy with herself for getting the reaction wanted from her big sister.


“Relax. He was 20, single, free of any offspring, and now has a broken heart thanks to me.”


“Shame on you, you man eater.”


“Yep. Man eater, that’s me.”


“Come on. I’ll give you the tour, then you’ll tell me all about your exciting adventures in the country of cheese and bread.”


“Deal.”


Buffy led her sister from one room to another, showing her the painting studio, the two guestrooms, master bedroom, living room…


“Considering the lack of tacky New Kids on the Block posters, am I right to assume Cordelia had something to do with the decoration?”


Buffy pouted. “You’re wrong! We did it together--as a team.“


Dawn gave her a stern look, clearly not believing her.


“Ok. Fine. She welcomed my suggestions--kinda.” She admitted sheepishly.


Dawn loved the house, but what really got her to squeal excitedly was the playroom in the basement, with its entertainment system, pool table and bar, and the backyard.


“Can you imagine the incredible pool parties we could have here! I’ll be the most popular freshman in the history of UCLA!!”


“Whoa. Hold your horses young lady. There will be no frat parties here for as long as I breathe. Got it?”


“I could invite my very hot, young, Italian teacher.” Dawn gave her sister her most dazzling smile, batting her eyelashes innocently.


“Does he speak English?”


They burst out laughing.


Buffy went to the fridge. “Want something to drink, Frenchie?”


“You have ice tea?”


“Yup.”


“With ice. Lots of ice. Pretty please.”


Buffy poured two glasses of ice tea and came to sit in front of Dawn at the table by the pool. The sun had set, but the night was warm and comfortable.


“What brings you here on a week night? Don’t you have school?”


“Nope. It’s a study week. Which brings me to ask if maybe you’d let me stay here for a couple of days? After only three weeks, I already need a break from all the ‘fun’ of the dorm life. I’d go to San Francisco, but you know mom. She’ll make me work at the gallery and keep me busy unpacking old dusty stuff. I’ll never have a minute to relax…” Dawn corrected herself quickly. “I mean study. Of course.”


Buffy snorted. “No problem. I’m sure my pool will be a much more favorable environment for your ‘studying’. But no frat parties, missy.”


“Even if I invite the Italian hunk? I’m sure you’d like him.”


“Sorry to disappoint, but no. Besides, you know that Buffy and dating are totally unmixy things.”


“Does that mean there’s still no romance in your life?”


“That’s exactly what it means. I live the romance free lifestyle, thank you very much.”


“Oh come on! Not even a potential hottie that makes your heart skip a beat and that you could consider as an eventual love interest?”


For a second, the look on Buffy’s face turned dreamy, but she quickly caught herself.


Not quickly enough for Dawn not to notice though.


“I saw that! Buffy Summers. Spill.”


“Give it a rest, Dawn. There’s no one.”


“Fine. Be that way. But I saw. There was definitely ‘a look’. And you know I won’t give up until I find out who the mysterious man who caught your att…”


“So. How was Paris?”


Dawn frowned at the abruptness of her sister. Something was definitely wrong with her and she couldn’t wait to find out what was really going on in that pretty blonde head of hers.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 8: Forbidden

A/N: When I wrote this chapter (a while ago), I hadn't seen Euro Trip yet. I swear! Dawn's trip to Paris is just a coincidence inspired by my own trip and the fact that Dawn was so good at foreign languages in the show. But I saw Euro Trip now and it was freaking awesome lol And while I have the chance, I also wanted to thank everybody who reviewed. You guys are the best!
Forbidden by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 8: Forbidden



The red convertible turned into the prison’s parking lot. Buffy stopped to slide her keycard to open the gate. She was tired from spending the night up listening to Dawn’s anecdotes and looking at pictures, but she was happy. She had missed the little devil and it felt good to see her after so long. Even if it meant that she would now have to deal with the headache from Hell and a total lack of efficiency at work today.


Buffy went through the long security process to enter the secure area almost mechanically. She smiled and said good morning to the guards posted there, voluntarily ignoring the lack of sincerity of their tone when they answered her.


The young woman made her way to her office through the maze of corridors, stopping at Harmony’s desk to collect her mail. She was looking through it absentmindedly when she suddenly heard Giles voice coming from somewhere behind her. She stopped what she was doing and waited for him to appear. A few seconds later, he walked by accompanied by another guard.


“Giles. Could you come here for a moment?”


“Yes, of course.” He parted with the other guard and came toward her. “Good morning Buffy.”


“Good morning. Where you on your way to your office?”


“As a matter of fact, no. I was going to the yard. Why do you ask?”


“About Spike, I was wondering if…”


“You don’t have to worry about him, everything has been taken care of while you were taking time off for your injury.”


“What do you mean ‘taken care of‘? Did he get himself into trouble while I was gone?”


Giles seemed genuinely puzzled. “Well… no. I mean…”


Buffy frowned. “Giles? Where IS Spike?”


“You were injured and we didn’t want to upset you any further by asking you what to do with him before you left, so we took it upon ourselves to--do what needed to be done.”


“So what? You thanked him on my behalf?” Buffy was now sensing that something was definitely wrong and she was getting mad.


“Thank him? Whatever do you mean? He was the one who attacked you, wasn’t he?”


“Giles! What have you guys done to Spike?! He’s the one who HELPED me, not attacked me! Are you telling me the poor guy has been in isolation all this time?”


Giles looked down. “Well--yes.”


“Damn it! Go get him and bring him back here. I can’t believe this!”


“After you got injured, the two guards who were with us took the initiative to take him to isolation. They told me what happened later and I approved. If we were mistaken in the prisoner‘s intentions…”


“Right now, I don’t care what happened.” She interrupted. “Get him. We’ll talk about this later.”


She watched him as he left the office in a hurry. She was pissed. She had spent all weekend thinking about what Spike had done and how she wanted to thank him. Who had ever seen a prisoner come to the aid of his warden? He had been so nice to her. And now, he probably thought she was an ungrateful bitch.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Dear Lord.” Giles muttered. He sighed deeply while taking in the appearance of the blonde man sitting in front of him in the bare cell. He had dried blood under his nose, and a nasty bruise that was turning interesting shades of green and yellow on the left side of his jaw. He couldn’t sit straight, probably because of some injury.


“Jake! Devon!” He barked angrily.


The two guards who had been chatting a few feet away looked in his direction.


“I rarely approve of your ways, but this time, you went too far. We will probably lose our jobs over this, you idiots! Ms. Summers is already angry enough that Spike was sent to isolation by mistake, when she sees what the bloody hell has been done to him, God knows how she will react.”


“But Rup…” Jake started, but was automatically interrupted by Giles.


“It’s Mr. Giles. I’m your superior here, it would do you well not to forget it.”


Giles had never been this angry in his life. Things were looking up. He didn’t have to put up with the likes of Wilkins and his predecessors anymore. His new boss was a good person who liked her job and he enjoyed being around the girl. But he could tell she was straight as an arrow, had strong morals, and would never stand for mistreatment in her prison. He would be blamed for what these two clowns had done to Spike. And THAT made him angry.


Devon tried to take over the explanation from his chastised friend but Giles wouldn’t have it. “We only did it because he attacked the warden, Mr. Giles.”


“Just how stupid do you think I really am? We both know you don’t give a bloody damn about Ms. Summers. You only used it as an excuse to rough up Spike.”


“But…”


“I don’t want to hear it. Go back to work. And if you think there won’t be any consequences to what you did, you’re sadly mistaken.”


Scared of losing his job, Jake tried to argue with Giles. “Couldn’t you tell her he got injured during the riot? I’m sure she’d buy it!”


“I will not lie to cover your arses, I’m sorry.”


Giles went to the small break room that was there for the use of the guards assigned to the isolation area, and came back with a wet cloth. He walked back into Spike’s cell and tossed him the cloth.


“Clean yourself up, the warden wants to see you. You look like Hell.”


Spike caught the wet cloth and without a word, cleaned the dry blood from his face.


Giles put the handcuffs on the prisoner’s wrists. “Lets go.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy paced restlessly in her office, waiting for Giles to come back with Spike. She didn’t know exactly what to tell the guy. Somehow ‘sorry you spent the last four days alone in a cell the size of a closet for no reason’ didn’t seem to cut it.


Harmony opened the door, letting Spike and Giles walk in. The four of them remained silent for a few moments until Buffy finally sighed. “We’re good Harmony. Thank you.”


She gave the girl a pointed look and Harmony finally took the hint and left. Buffy couldn’t bring herself to look at Spike. He was just standing there, staring straight ahead, his jaw visibly clenched. That’s when she saw the bruise.


“What the Hell…?!” She took a deep calming breath, but her cheeks were turning pink from her anger. “Spike, have a seat and wait for me a minute. Giles, outside. Now.”


“But… You won’t leave him here alone?”


“This won’t take long.” She stepped outside of her office, closely followed by a wary Giles.


“What the fuck happened? He was BEATEN? I don’t know how things were before I got here, but I won’t stand for that kind of behavior in my prison.”


She had left the office door open and could see from the corner of her eye that Spike hadn’t moved to sit. He was still standing rigidly in the middle of the room. She couldn’t blame him for being mad.


“Buffy,” Giles said, trying to keep his voice low so Spike wouldn’t hear, “let’s not talk about this here. It’s not good for the staff to argue in front of the prisoners. It gives them the impression of…”


“I want a staff meeting this afternoon. And you are going to tell me who’s responsible for this.”


“Of course. I regret this took place…”


“I believe you, but that doesn‘t change it.”


She turned to her secretary. “Harmony, contact everyone from security and tell them there will be a staff meeting this afternoon at 4.”


Harmony nodded. For once, she didn’t dare saying anything. She was witnessing a side of Buffy that she had no idea existed.


“All right. Now if you’ll excuse me. Wait in your office Giles, I’ll call you when I want you to take Spike back.”


She returned to her office where Spike was waiting, and closed the door behind her. She was suddenly uncomfortable. This wasn’t the same man she had met a week ago. He seemed so cold, and hostility was rolling off him in waves.


Buffy wasn’t sure what to do. She walked past him and to her desk where a carafe of fresh water was sitting. “Want a glass of water?”


He snorted at her lame attempt at breaking the ice, but didn’t answer.


She poured two glasses anyway and went to sit on the leather couch against the large window that covered one side of her office. She put the glasses down on the coffee table in front of her.


“Come and sit with me, would you? We need to talk.”


“’am perfectly fine standing right here. I just want to know why I’m here, warden, so I can leave.”


“Originally, the reason I called you in here was to say thank you. Now it’s to say I’m sorry.” She answered in a soft voice.


Spike frowned at her unexpected answer, but didn‘t say anything.


“Don’t just stand there. Come here.”


He hesitated.


Buffy sighed and looked away. “I understand. Do you want me to call Giles and ask him to take you back? You missed breakfast already but I’ll make sure you get something to eat… ” She lowered her head. “I’m really sorry Spike.”


When Buffy looked up, he was sitting next to her.


“What is there to be sorry about luv?”


She didn’t answer, just looked at his bruised face. She shook her head slightly in disbelief, not liking the irony of it all. That’s what he got for worrying about her well being?


“God, what have they done? I swear I had no idea. I left right after I regained consciousness. I did ask about you when I came to, but the nurse said ‘he’s been taken care of’ and I never thought to ask her what she meant. Then she put me in a cab and sent me home. I should have told someone about your helping me, but things just got so crazy…”


“Hey now. No worries. You had just hit your head badly. I saw you fly into the bloody wall headfirst. I’m surprised you didn’t have to go to the hospital after that blow. I should have known you were not the one who ordered me to the hole. But I thought maybe you misunderstood my intentions. It’s no big a deal.”


“Yes it is. And it’s not only about you not deserving this treatment. Nobody will get beaten up by prison staff as long as I’m the warden here. That won’t be tolerated. I don’t know for how long this practice has been going on, but it’s stopping now. The guards who did this are getting fired tonight.”


Spike felt torn. He didn’t want to defend the wankers who did this to him, but he also didn’t think he mattered enough for such drastic measures. “They only did it because they thought I hurt you.”


He didn’t expect Buffy to laugh so much at his comment.


“Excuse my language, but these guys don’t give a shit about me, Spike. They used what happened to me as an excuse to do what they wanted; they couldn’t care less about my well being.”


Spike frowned. “Why would you think that? I’m sure you’re doing a fine job and you're a good boss.”


“Oh it’s not about how capable I am. I guess I’m just not what they expected, and they can’t get over the initial shock. Maybe they will, but it will take time before they realize that I’m perfectly competent, and start warming up to me. Anyway, this is not about me. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciated what you did the other day… and again, how sorry I am that things turned out the way they did. It was unfair to you.”


“First, you have nothing to thank me for pet. I did what any respectable man would do when seeing a lady getting hurt. There’s a lack of respectable men in this fine establishment. But I guess that can be explained by the fact that this is a prison.” He winked playfully at her, but then got serious again. “Second, you have no business feeling sorry for me.”


Buffy looked puzzled. “What?”


“You heard me pet. Don’t feel sorry for me. I don’t know how to explain that life sent me here. I’ve always been a good person. I‘ve never even stolen a candy bar, let alone hurt someone. My only mistake was to fall in love with the wrong bird. So I guess I must have done something in a previous life that was pretty bad in order to deserve this. But since I’ve been here, I’ve done things that I’m not proud of. Bruised a lot of faces, got into a lot fights. Usually with wankers who, according to me, deserved it, but it’s not an excuse.”


He tried to reach his glass of water but winced and had to give up because of the pain shooting throughout his torso. Buffy saw that and gave it to him. He took a sip and continued.


“So, sure, I got beaten up for the wrong reason,” he shrugged “but the ‘why’ doesn’t really matter. Every punch I received, I’ve given to someone at one point or another. So a pretty bird like you, with all your morals and conscience, shouldn’t worry herself with feeling sorry for someone like me. There’s enough of me feeling sorry for myself for being here in the first place.”


“So, let me get this straight. You think because you got yourself in a couple of fights, that means you deserve to get beaten up by prison guards? Sorry to say that I don’t follow you here. This is jail, Spike. If you don’t kick some people’s ass, they’ll walk all over you. Defending yourself, or giving a good ass kicking to someone who deserves it, doesn’t make you a bad person.”


“You probably don’t remember but when we met for the first time last week, I vaguely told you about how I got my nickname…”


“You mean how you met your buddy Gunn? Of course I remember. What? You think I don’t pay attention when my favorite prisoner tells me stories?” She smirked at him and he chuckled.


“I’m touched, really.” Spike got more comfortable on the couch, mindful of his sore ribs, before continuing what he was saying. “Anyway, this story took place here. I had been incarcerated about two or three weeks before and I was working with some of the guys on the license plates. That’s where I was assigned before you saved me from that horribly boring job. Thank you by the way. Charles was working with us. Suddenly, for no good reason, these guys started bothering him. There was no way he could have defended himself against the wankers, there were five of them against one. I don’t know what got into me Buffy. I’m sorry, can I call you Buffy?”


“Of course you can.”


“Yeah, so, I don’t know what it was. Maybe it was the unfamiliarity of the violence surrounding me for the three weeks I had been here, or maybe I was just doing some transfer on this guy’s situation. I don’t know. Psychology has never been my strong point. But I became enraged. I could have just jumped into the fight and helped him if I was so concerned with fairness. But no. My eyes landed on a rusted spike on the floor. I have no idea how the thing got there in the first place and believe me, there were weeks of inspection of the facilities after my little stunt. So I grabbed the thing, walked up to one of the guys who was beating on Gunn, and stabbed him. Not with the intention of killing him, but I bloody well stabbed the wanker. I could have killed the guy. If he had moved, or if I had miscalculated my aim, I could have killed him. So you say that doesn’t make me a bad person… Personally, I don’t know anymore.”


“Spike. You reacted to injustice. That’s all. And like you said, a prison is a very different environment and it can affect how people react when they are not used to being surrounded by violence. And I think a nice guy who’s never done anything wrong in his life, will react differently than a drug dealer who’s killed hundreds of people.”


The intensity of his blue eyes observing her made her blush and look away.


“Thank you.”


“For what?”


“Understanding.”


“You know, we’re not all that different you and I.”


“What? We’re both unnaturally blonde?”


“Ha ha, funny. Speak for yourself. Where do you get the bleach anyway?”


“Good connections.“ He gave Buffy one of his sexy smirks. “Gunn’s sister is nice enough to bring me some once in a while. And she brings me the good stuff too. She’s a hairdresser. But, you were saying that we’re not different? How so?”


She smiled wickedly. “I use to beat the shit out of jerks for the sake of justice and fairness… And because it was fun to hear them cry and beg.”


Spike eyed her up and down before asking: “How much do you weight, pet? 80Lbs--when you’re wearing ski boots?”


“Hey! I resent that. I’ll have you know that I use to strike fear in the most fearless of bad guys in my time mister. I was very vicious.”


They both laughed.


“Anyway, that’s how I started working in prison, but I won’t bore you with the story.”


“You won’t bore me. I’m interested.”


Buffy suddenly looked uncomfortable. “You sure?”


“I swear. I want to know.”


“I never told anyone about this. The only person who knows the real reason why I rebelled as a teenager is my friend Cordelia, and it’s only because she was there that day.”


“What happened?”


“I used to be your typical popular girl in school. Tons of so called friends, captain of the cheerleading squad, perfect hair, perfect clothes, permanent plastic smile on my face. I think I even smiled when I slept. I’m sure you get the picture.“


He chuckled at the description.


“I was hanging out with the popular crowd too. I thought my life was perfect. Beginning of high school, a new girl moved to our school. Tara McClay. She was a very shy girl who acted like she didn’t deserve to exist. My friends were nasty to her. It’s so easy to pick on the weak. I talked to Tara sometimes when I’d see her at the library. She was a very nice girl. But whenever my friends would make fun of her, I was too much of a coward to say anything to defend her so I’d just stand by with that stupid smile on my face. If only I had known…“ Buffy remained silent for a moment and looked away, lost in the painful memories.


“Did something bad happen?”


“Turned out, she was abused by her father. One day, I guess he was a little too enthusiastic and miscalculated his punch. It killed her.”


Spike winced sympathetically, but didn’t interrupt her.


“When I showed up at her funeral, half of the school was there, including the bitches who had dedicated their lives to making her miserable. The worst one of them, Judith, even had the nerve to get up and give a speech. She was dressed like she was going to a fashion show, and had one theatrical tear running down her face like she cared. I was so furious that I walked up to her and clocked her right in front of everybody. After that, things went downhill for me. I lost all of my friends, got kicked out of the squad, became one of the school’s freaks. But I didn’t care. Only my friend Cordelia didn’t turn her back on me. I was always caught in fights, usually to defend other people. I ended up at the police station three times. On the third time, the sergeant suggested to my mom that she send me to work part time at the L.A. County prison to teach me a lesson. He had a contact there or something. It was supposed to scare me into behaving, but I liked it and decided that’s what I wanted to do. So… yeah. That’s how I started working in prison.”


They remained silent for a few minutes after she was done talking. Spike had a serious expression on his handsome face. They were closer now. Her voice had been soft as she had shared her memories and Spike had inched closer to hear her. He tilted his head to look at her, and gave her a warm smile.


“You’re amazing.” He said softly.


She shook her head. “I don’t think I am. There’s nothing special about me, really.”


“Are you kidding? I know I’m overstepping the boundaries of the prisoner/warden relationship here, but I’ve never been known to respect boundaries anyway so what the hell. I barely know you, but everything I learn about you amazes me. You’re not only a smart, gorgeous, woman; you also have the most interesting and intriguing personality. Sorry if I’m being too honest but--If things were different, if the circumstances were not what they are, I’d probably be writing horrible poetry about you right now, and trying to figure out a way to ask you out without sounding like too much of a wanker.”


He gave her a shy smile that could have stopped her heart, and before she realized what she was saying, she blurted out:


“If things were different, I’d probably be hoping that you’d ask me out right about now. But life isn’t fair and things are the way they are…”


She said it in such a low voice that she wasn’t even sure if he heard her. She couldn’t bring herself to look into his eyes so she kept her eyes on the handcuffs around his wrists to keep herself grounded into reality.


“All right then.” She said, in a overly perky tone that made her wince. “I guess I should get Giles now.“


Before she knew what was happening, Spike lowered his head and pressed his lips against hers. It was so quick that it was over before she even realized it had happened.


Spike turned white as a ghost when he realized what he had done, his eyes filled with what looked like terror.


“Oh God! I’m so sorry, pet. I don’t know what got into me…”


Reacting on instinct, Buffy pulled his face to her and kissed him. It was a sweet, yet passionate kiss, which ended all too soon. A soft caress of the lips. Tongues brushing lightly against each others, teasing, promising so much more. But as soon as Buffy got control over her raging hormones, she panicked and almost jumped away from him.


This time, they both had similar look of shock on their faces. Time seemed to stand still as they struggled to process what had just happened. The blood that had drained from Buffy’s face was now coming back, making her blush furiously.


She let out a string of “ohgodohgodohgods”, the words muffled by the hand covering her mouth.


Buffy jumped up and started pacing, running shaky fingers through her hair. “I can’t believe I did that! Oh God! What have I done!”


Realizing that Buffy was becoming slightly hysterical and that he had to calm her down, Spike got up and stepped in front of her to stop her pacing.


“Buffy, please calm down. It’s not such a big deal…”


“Not a big deal?! How can you say that?”


“Because it’s not. Please, sit down pet, we’ll talk about it.”


She did as he said and sat back on the couch, but she did not calm down. “It is a big deal Spike! I could lose my job! And--and--what are you gonna think of me? That I’m one of these women who use their position to get away with sexual harassment or something?.. Oh God!!”


Normally, he would have laughed at how irrational and cute she was, but the situation wasn‘t allowing it. “Buffy! Look at me. First of all, that wasn’t sexual harassment. I was the one who bloody well kissed you first, remember? Besides, I would never think anything bad of you. And also, you will not lose your job over this. The only way for that to happen would be for someone to find out, and unless there’s a camera in here, that won’t happen. It’s only you and me here, and I would never tell anyone. Do you believe me?”


She nodded, but no word came out of her mouth.


“I would never hurt you Buffy. And you’d be devastated if you’d lose your job, am I right?”


She nodded again.


“Then I won’t tell any living creature about it. Not even my confessor.”


“… You have a confessor?”


Spike laughed. She smiled weakly.


Buffy leaned back in the couch, closed her eyes and took a deep calming breath.


“Are you feeling better pet?”


“A little. Spike--I just wanted to say--I…I’ve never, you know, done this before. Don‘t go thinking I‘m a giant slut or something.”


“I know luv. Don’t worry, I would never think that.”


“Thank you.”


Spike sighed and smiled sadly at her. “I’m sorry reality had to come crashing back and ruin it because--it was a great kiss.“


They looked into each other’s eyes and Buffy’s breath caught in her throat. She had to get up or she’d end up kissing him again. So she did get up, reluctantly.


She straightened her clothes and smiled at Spike who was still sitting on the couch. “I should call Giles. It’s been too long already. I don’t want him to get suspicious.” She paused briefly, than asked: “Am I still blushing? Do you think he’ll notice something happened?”


“No you’re not. You look smashing. He won’t notice a thing I promise. Just act casual.”


She gave him a warm smile, then went to the phone to call Giles‘ office. Spike stood up and went to sit in the chair in front of her desk to wait for the guard. Buffy noticed he had a sad, faraway look in his blue eyes.


“Spike? Something wrong?”


“It’s nothing. Just… Could you promise me something?”


“Sure. What?”


“Promise me you won’t let things get weird between us, that you won’t avoid me. It meant a lot that you were so kind to me the first time we met… and today. I’d hate to lose that.”


“I promise.”


The door opened and Giles walked in. “Lets go Spike.”


His back to Giles, Spike rolled his eyes dramatically and grimaced for Buffy’s benefit. “Alright Rupert, hold your bloody horses, I’m coming.”


Buffy chuckled, and waved discretely at him as he walked away.


“Oh, and Giles? Take Spike to Anya so she can make sure he‘s all right.”


She waited until Giles closed the door, then went to sit in her chair, her head in her hands.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 9: Heading for a wall?

A/N: I know the Spuffyness takes a long time to come, but I have to keep things realistic enough considering the circumstances. Be patient, there will be more and more Spuffyness from this point on in the story. And don't forget to let me know what you think of this chapter. Even if it's just a line. A couple of words of encouragement is all I need to motivate me to keep writing ;-)
Heading for a wall? by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 9: Heading for a wall?



Buffy hadn’t moved at all for a good half hour. She was still sitting at her desk, holding her head the way she had been after Giles and Spike left the room. When Harmony walked in without knocking, she didn’t even look up.


“Buffy, Ms. Osbourne is here.”


“Harmony, I.. “


A voice, that wasn‘t Harmony‘s, cut her off before she could get another word out.


“Wow. I knew it was you but--Wow! I can’t believe it. Buffy Summers. I just can’t believe--Did I already say wow?” Harmony kept looking between the grinning red head and the staring Buffy, not understanding what was going on. Then Buffy let out an excited squeal just before running into the red head’s arms.


“Just my luck, I work for a freak.” Harmony snorted before exiting the office.


“Oh. My. God. Willow!” Buffy had tears in her eyes when she pushed Willow at arm length, holding her by her shoulders to look at her. “Saying that you have changed would be an understatement.”


“I could say the same to you Buffy. You look great.”


“So do you.”


They looked at each other and giggled like school girls.


“Damn this is so weird.” Buffy said after she finally calmed down. “It’s been what? Ten years?”


“Almost fourteen.” Willow corrected with a sad smile. “I can’t believe it’s been that long. I remember like it was yesterday. I was so sad when my parents decided to leave L.A. But I thought it wouldn’t be for more than a year and that we would manage to keep in touch somehow. Who would have known it would take them five years to grow out of their hippie phase?”


“So, you were in South America for five years?”


“No. We only stayed there for two months, then we went to Africa. I went to a private school there with other Americans. When my parents got tired of that and we finally moved back, they decided Sunnydale would be a great place to live. I tried to find you, but you moved… Oh Buffy, I missed you so much!”


Buffy hugged Willow again, crushing the poor girl against her.


“Huh… Buff? Blue doesn’t look good on me.”


“What?”


“Can’t. Breath.”


“Oh. Sorry!” She released her. “With all that, I forgot to ask. What are you doing here?”


“Hello? Work here. Didn’t your charming and oh-so-sharp secretary tell you?”


“I think I would remember if she did.”


“I’m the head criminologist here. I do most of the psychological evaluations and sit at the parole board.”


“She told me the head criminologist was… “


“Ms. Osbourne?” Willow grinned. “Duh. I got married.”


“No kidding!”


“Harmony is the only one calling me by my married name. And she usually says it with a touch of disdain. She’s a bit upset that the big geek that I am is married and she’s not.”


“Oh Will, I’m so happy for you! We have so much to catch up on. Let’s get out of here for a few hours so we can talk.”


“Shopping?”


“Shopping!”


They walked out of the office giggling and talking excitedly. Harmony looked up from what she was doing.


“Where are you going?”


“Take my messages Harm, we’re going for lunch and a bit of shopping.”


“Oh.” Harmony looked up, obviously trying hard not to look too hopeful. “Can I come with?”


“… Sorry Harm, but Willow and I haven’t seen each other for years.”


A hurt look flashed across Harmony’s features before she could hide it. She huffed. “Fine. Whatever.”


Buffy was about to leave, but she felt bad for the girl. She gave her a kind smile. “Tell you what. Why don’t we go for drinks tomorrow after work?”


Harmony beamed. “Sure. I could probably help improve your social life.” She looked pointedly at Willow.


Buffy chuckled and shook her head while Willow pulled her along by her sleeve. “This girl’s a work of art, Will.”


“Yep. Not the brightest crayon in the box, but she’s entertaining.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Dawn? Dawnie are you home?”


Buffy dropped her stuff carelessly by the door and went to the kitchen. She looked out the window to see if her sister was outside. It was already dark and Dawn was nowhere to be seen. She went to the fridge in case her sister had left a note for her. As expected, there was a note.


Hey sis,
Met people today when I went out for coffee and they invited me to this club called The Bronze. If you feel like it, you can join me there. If not, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.
Love,
Dawn


Buffy sighed and went to her room to change into something more comfortable. She was physically and emotionally exhausted. She had been hoping Dawn would be home. It would have been a distraction from the thoughts that were bouncing around in her head.


Buffy took off her pink shirt and black leather skirt, letting the garments fall to the floor without a second glance. She then put on white boy’s shorts and a white tank top, pulled her hair back into a loose ponytail and made her way downstairs to the basement.


The blonde girl looked around, suddenly feeling lost and lonely. She usually enjoyed silence, but tonight, she found it oppressive. She went to the stereo system and turned it on, then walked to the bar to get herself a drink. She was gonna keep it simple and grab a beer, but opening the mini fridge, the Margarita mix caught her eye and she changed her mind. She pulled out the ice, the mixer, the tequilla and the salt and busied herself making her drink. It kept her mind occupied for a moment and she welcomed the diversion. Too bad it didn’t last.


Going to the couch, she sat down, her legs tucked under her. Buffy tried to keep her mind blank and just listen to the music without thinking. It worked for a while, but too soon, her mind drifter away to places she didn’t want it to go. Changing tactics, she decided to focus on something positive that wouldn’t lead to heartaches.


Her afternoon with Willow had been great. They had been apart for so many years, but it seemed their friendship had survived. Sure they had changed, but in a way, they were both still the same. Especially Willow. She might look much cooler now, but she was still a big lovable geek inside. Buffy had missed her so much. She remembered crying when Willow had left L.A. to go travel the world with her parents. They had known each other since they were three years old. She could still see little Willow in her mind, with her long red pigtails and her green dress, sitting Indian style in the tree house Buffy’s dad had built for them. They were inseparable.


Buffy chuckled when she remembered how they used to hide in the tree to plot against Cordelia. Back then, Cordy was living down the street from them and was an insufferable little princess who would make their lives miserable. With Xander, they even created the ‘We hate Cordelia’ club. Willow almost choked on her latte this afternoon when she learnt that Cordelia and Buffy were now best friends. When Buffy gave her the final blow by adding that Cord married Xander, Willow spat out her coffee.


Buffy got up to get a refill of Margarita. She took the mixer back with her so she wouldn’t have to get up again. She hadn’t had anything to eat all day except for the ice cream she had at the mall, and was really tired, so the alcohol was already getting to her.


She’d had a great time shopping and talking with Willow. But it wasn’t long before her mind had started wandering again to places she’d rather not go. The kiss. Willow noticed but didn’t insist when Buffy obviously did her best to avoid answering. She just couldn’t talk to her about it. Hell, she couldn’t talk to anyone about it. And it was really killing her.


Damn was it ever killing her!


She slowly let herself slide down on the couch until she was sitting on the floor. She tried to put her empty glass on the coffee table, but her aim was a little off and it fell on the carpet. She giggled drunkenly and taking the mixer’s container, she started drinking directly from it. Who cared, she was alone anyway. She had decided that the best solution to her problem was to drink until she wouldn’t think of Spike’s lips anymore. Or, until she passed out. Unconsciousness sounded very good.


How could she be so attracted to a guy she barely knew? This wasn’t like her at all. She had dated guys for months without ever being able to feel anything for them, and yet, there she was, longing for a man she only met a few times. She wondered what the hell was wrong with her. Why did she have to fall for the only guy she really couldn’t have? And the worst part was that even through her panic this morning when she realized what she‘d done, she had still been dying to kiss him again. Her work was the most important thing in her life, and yet, she had been willing to jeopardize everything for one man.


Her eyelids were starting to get heavy and soon, she drifted off to sleep. That’s how Dawn found her when she got back a few hours later. The young girl shook her head when she saw the state her sister was in.


“Damn it Buffy, what the Hell?” She asked, mostly to herself.


She approached her sleeping sister and crouched next to her. Dawn took away the mixer’s container Buffy was hugging in her sleep, and tried to wake her by shaking her shoulder. Buffy groaned, then finally open one eye.


“Mmmm… What?”


“You know, if you wanted to party, you could have joined me at the club instead of drinking by yourself like a big loser.”


“Mnot a loser. Just pathetic.”


“Don’t you have to work in a few hours?”


“I’m the freakin’ warden... I do what I want.” Buffy said, her speech slightly slurred.


“Oh Buffy,” The younger girl said mockingly. “you are such a great example to me. If someone ever asks me where I got my sense of responsibility, your name will definitely come to mind.”


“Pfff. ‘m waaaay responshible. ’m taking the morning off. I’ll stay late, is all. If someone’s not happy with it, they can tell the warden. Oh, wait… that’s me.” Buffy giggled, proud of her cleverness.


“Whatever you say Buff. Let’s get you to bed.”


She helped Buffy up the stairs, and unceremoniously dropped her on her bed.


“Get some sleep. We’ll go out for breakfast tomorrow morning and then I’ll drive you to work.”


“Just an excuse to get the car.” Buffy mumbled, already half asleep. Then, she was gone.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Around 10 am, Dawn walked into Buffy’s room, going straight to the window. She pulled the curtains apart, letting the sun light flow into the room. Buffy yelped and hid under her white duvet.


“Good morning sunshine!” Dawn said while noisily shaking a bottle of Tylenols. “Don’t hide, it’s time to rise and shine and welcome a new day.”


She climbed on the bed and hugged the form of her sister through the duvet. A mumble came from under the covers.


“What was that?”


Buffy pulled the covers from her face. “I said, are you overdosing on Prozac or something?”


“Ha ha, funny. I just figured that in the state you must be in right now, I need to be over joyous in order to even get you out of bed. Let’s go. I’ll start the shower, pick out your outfit, then we’ll go out for breakfast. I met the cutest guy last night--can‘t wait to tell you all about it.”


Buffy pulled the covers back up. Not having it, Dawn attempted to pull her from under there by her foot. A quick pillow fight followed, but it didn’t last. Buffy moaned, holding her painful head.


“Stop it! My head… hurts like a bitch.”


“The shower and Tylenols will help. So stop being stubborn and get out of there. It’s your fault anyway for drinking yourself unconscious.”


“Never again. I promise.”


“Yeah, yeah. Get in the shower and don’t make promises you can’t keep.”


Half an hour later, Buffy was making her way to the car. She was wearing simple black trousers, a gray sleeveless turtleneck and big black sunglasses. Dawn, who was waiting for her leaning on the car, snickered.


“I’m sure no one will notice anything. But don’t take the sunglasses off, cause if your staff sees what your face looks like right now, they’ll run away screaming.”


“Shut up and drive.” Buffy pouted, tossing Dawn the Miata’s keys. She knew her sister’s rule about not getting in a car with her if she was behind the wheel, and she felt too shitty this morning to argue with the brunette.


Dawn drove to the nearest Denny’s in silence. She parked the car and they went inside, finding a boot that was well away from other customers so they could have some privacy. They ordered without even looking at the menu. Breakfast at Denny’s was a tradition for the sisters. Especially when it was time to help with bad cases of hangover.


Dawn fidgeted with her napkin while waiting for the coffees and blueberry pancakes to arrive. She wanted to wait for Buffy to talk first, thinking that she had played ‘annoying Dawn’ enough for the day. Make that for the month. After she got her coffee and took a sip of it, Buffy finally opened her mouth.


“How was your night? Had any fun?”


“It was cool. I liked the place. Too many high school kids though.”


“Weren’t you a high school kid yourself only a few months ago?”


“I’m in College now. I’m a grown up. I don’t hang with kids.”


Buffy snickered. “Sorry, you’re right. You’re the epitome of cool now.”


“Shut up!” Dawn whined playfully.


Buffy finally started relaxing. The headache was getting more bearable. She manage to give Dawn a weak smile. “I’m feeling a bit better. Thanks for getting me out of bed. I really can’t afford to miss an entire day of work. So sorry about the ubber crankiness this morning but yesterday… not such a great day.”


“Did something bad happen at work?”


“No.. Hey, do you know who I’m working with?”


“No. Who?”


“Willow! Do you remember her? We were best friends when we were kid. She left town when she was thirteen.”


“The little red head geek? The one who babysat me that one time and decided that Dante’s Inferno would be a great bedtime story for a five year old?”


“It put you to sleep, didn’t it?”


“Sure did!” Dawn laughed.


“She’s not a geek anymore anyway. She married a rock star.”


“No way! Anyone famous?”


“You know that group that plays a lot these days in L.A.? Dingoes Ate My Baby? He’s the bassist. Oz.”


“Get. OUT! That’s freakin’ awesome! Wow. And what is she doing at the prison?”


“She’s the criminologist.”


“So you guys are gonna be working together a lot then. That’s really great.”


“I know!” Buffy took a bite of her blueberry pancake.


“Who’s Spike?”


Buffy violently choked on her pancake.


Dawn cringed. She had hoped to make Buffy react, but not that much. She was so excited the night before when Buffy had mumbled the name in her sleep. She had put two and two together. First, she found her drunk off her ass, then she said a guy’s name. It was no rocket science. She thought it would be easier to get the story out of her by shocking her. But seeing the reaction, she was starting to feel bad.


Noticing Buffy coughing loudly, the waitress discretely brought her a glass of water.


“Sorry Buff. Didn’t mean to cause a near death experience by saying that name. It’s just that you said ’Spike’ last night after I put you to bed and I wanted to find out who it was. Didn‘t know I‘d almost kill you by doing that.”


“I’m all right.” Buffy said, out of breath. “It’s just the last thing I expected you to ask.”


“Is that why you got drunk last night? Because of that guy?”


“Can we not be talking about this right now?”


“Why?”


“Because I CAN’T talk about this. Not even with you.”


Dawn chose to ignore her and keep asking. “I might tease you a lot, but despite all your issues, you’re still a catch. So why is he not bringing you flowers and bonbons, and taking you out on romantic dates? Is he gay or something?”


Buffy growled menacingly.


“Married? Oh, I know. He’s a dangerous murderer! Or even better, one of your prisoners.”


Buffy turned dangerously white.


“Buffy?..” Dawn’s eyes widened with realization. “You have got to be kidding me. No way! Are you telling me the guy who got you all mushy and pathetic is a prisoner?!”


“Why don’t you publish it in the Sunnydale Post while you’re at it, Dawn.”


“Sorry. But--are you out of your MIND?!”


“Yes, yes that’s exactly it.” Buffy answered in a sarcastic tone. “I forgot to take my medication. That’s why I’m pinning over a convict. Thank you ever so much for pointing that out to me. You’re a great help.”


“Ok. I’ll try to calm down and turn off the judgmental part of my brain for a second so I can try to understand this. But first, I have to ask. He didn’t kill anybody, did he?”


“No. He didn’t.”


“All right. That’s good. What is he in for then?”


Buffy blushed and looked away. “Well, technically--huh--Murder.”


It was Dawn’s turn to spit out her coffee.


“But you just said…”


“He didn’t kill anybody, it was someone else… Or at least, I‘m pretty sure he didn‘t.”


This time, her younger sibling laughed openly in her face.


“Buffy, be serious. You’ve been working in prison for ten fucking years, don’t tell me you believe that shit? Prisons are filled with innocents. That’s common knowledge. No matter how hot he is, you can’t be that naïve? He could be just another psychopath that happens to be really charming and convincing.”


“Are you done being a bitch? Can I talk?”


“Talk. I’ll shut up.”


Buffy sighed. “Did it ever happen to you that someone tells you something completely unbelievable, but you look into their eyes and believe them?”


“Yes. If it’s someone I KNOW. Like for example, if you’d tell me: “Dawn, last night, I ran outside around my house butt naked with a hot pink feather boa around my neck.” I’d believe you because I know you… And you’re INSANE.”


“God, my sister is sooo adorable.”


“I know.” Dawn grinned.


“I have met hot prisoners before you know. Hot prisoners who told me they were innocent. Did I believe them? No. Why? Because they were not innocent. But William… There’s just a sincerity in his eyes, a passion… I don’t know how to explain it, but can you for once trust me on this? I’m not being fooled because of my feelings for him. I swear. And yes, despite the fact that I tend to believe him, I‘m still on my guards just in case.”


“Did you say the word ‘feelings‘? You have feelings? You? Buffy Summers?”


“Well…” Buffy started playing with her food, pushing it around her plate, looking embarrassed. “Not feelings feelings. But… Ya know.”


“Do you realize it’s the first time I ever heard you saying you have feelings for a guy? Ever! Wow. This is more serious than I thought. Why does it have to be about a potential murderer?!.. You didn’t act on it, did you?”


The blonde girl looked away guiltily.


“BUFFY!”


“Dawn, you can never repeat this to anybody, understand? Not even your best friend or mom or… anybody! If someone finds out, I’ll lose my job.”


“I know. I wouldn’t tell anyone. What happened?”


“We kinda kissed yesterday. That’s why I was so upset last night. I don’t know how it happened. It just did. We were talking in my office and, next thing you know, there were lips connecting. And tongues. I know it’s hard for you to believe because you never met him, but I don‘t think he‘s bullshitting me to get his way or anything. The attraction goes both ways.”


“Buffy,” Dawn said softly. “the guy is in for murder. And unless someone proves that he is innocent, he’s guilty. He’s there for life. Nothing good can come out of this. Couldn’t you just fall for the guy next door? Everything has to be complicated with you. What kind of a relationship can you have with a guy who’s stuck in jail until he dies?”


“Well… Do you really wanna hear my crazy plan?”


The brunette sighed heavily. “I probably should answer no, but do tell.”


“Keep in mind that it’s not just because I like him. I want to do this because I think it’s unfair for someone to waste their lives in prison when they haven’t done anything.”


Dawn shook her head. “I have a feeling I won’t like what‘s coming.”


“I want to try to find out more about the guy Spike says is the real murderer. If Spike is lying, I’ll find out one way or another. If he’s saying the truth, then I can maybe try to get some kind of proof that he’s not guilty and possibly get him out of jail.”


“Sounds potentially dangerous. And again with the insanity. Buff, it’s just a guy you know…”


“Just a guy?! It’s not just a guy, it’s a human being. I told you it’s not because I like him, it’s because it’s unfair. What if it was you, huh? What if someone killed a friend of yours and made it look like it was you who did it? Wouldn’t you like it if someone cared enough to get you out of jail?”


“I see your point, but it’s still dangerous.”


“I know, Dawnie. But knowing that someone in my prison is innocent goes against everything I believe in. I couldn’t live with myself if I don’t at least try to do something. Of course, it helps that he‘s the most gorgeous guy I‘ve ever seen, he‘s smart, funny, sensitive and turns me into a puddle of goo every time I see him…” She added with a wicked grin.


Dawn took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Despite her disapproving, there was some kind of understanding in her blue eyes when she looked at her sister.


She knew her well. They had lived on their own, just the two of them, the year their mom had been sick. That time alone together had brought them so close that they knew everything there was to know about each other. And Dawn knew that Buffy was the type of person who always, ALWAYS, did the right thing.


She often thought that if she ever decided to write a comic book, she’d use Buffy as a model for her superhero. The girl always had someone she wanted to save and when she’d set her mind on something, Dawn knew Buffy would not give up no matter what she said.


“Buffy, you know I love you more than anything, right? You and mom are my entire world. When I found out mom had brain cancer and she had to go to that private clinic in Boston, I felt like the world was falling down around us. I was so scared. But I had you. We had each other. We went through some tough times together and you became so important to me. I just don’t want you to get hurt. Physically or emotionally. And now I’m seeing you heading straight for the concrete wall at full speed and it frightens me. My heart wants to think that it’s so romantic and sweet and you‘ll get your happy ending somehow. But my head warns me that it will most likely end with tears and pain. I don‘t want that for you. I just want you to be happy. Promise me you‘ll be careful and you won‘t do anything stupid.”


Buffy had tears in her eyes when she finally looked up at her sister. “Don’t worry about me, Dawnie. I promise you nothing bad will happen. I‘ll be careful.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 10: Journal of a convict
Journal of a convict by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Just wanted to take a second to thank everybody for your reviews. Means a lot to me. I hope you'll enjoy the rest of the story just as much.



CHAPTER 10: Journal of a convict



"Stop giving him the evil look of death. Spike would never do something like that. He's like a Jedi. He's a pure soul betrayed by society, a hero wasting away in this unholy place because of a cruel twist of fate."


Jonathan glared at his friend who had a dreamy look on his face, "Yeah? Well, Darth Vader was a Jedi too. Didn't stop him from turning to the dark side of the Force, did it."


Andrew huffed, clearly insulted, "Darth Vader was an idiot."


"Darth Vader was cool, you moron!"


"Never as cool as Spike, you brain dead!!"


"At least, Darth never hit Leia, or any woman!" Jonathan yelled back.


"He did too! Or at least, if he didn't, he got someone to do it for him. Spike didn't hit the warden."


Jonathan pinched him.


"Ouch! You freak!" Andrew slapped the shorter boy upside the head.


"Hey! Quit it!!"


The two bickering boys got silent when Spike walked by, on his way out of the cafeteria with his friend Gunn.


"Spike! Wait up!"


Andrew walked quickly to where Spike was standing, pulling Jonathan along with him.


"Oh bollocks," Spike rolled his eyes and kept walking, "Go away."


"Come on, Spike, wait… Is it true?"


"What?" he asked, still walking.


"Is it true you beat up the warden? Everybody says…"


"I bloody well did not!" Angry, the blonde man stormed off, closely followed by Gunn.


Andrew turned to give Jonathan a smug look, "See? Told you so!"


"Fine. Whatever."


Gunn trotted behind his angry friend, "Spike. Come on man, chill. What's the deal with you anyway?"


Spike stopped abruptly and turned to face the taller man, "What's the deal? What's the DEAL? Let me tell you what the bleeding deal is, mate. Every wanker in the place has been giving me the thumbs up since yesterday afternoon. They all think I beat up Bu… Ms. Summers, a woman who's half my size, and they praise me for it. It sickens me. They think I'm the kind of man who would send a woman flying into a wall. Bloody hell, they think I'm the kind of man who would put a bullet into a woman's heart. When did this happen, Gunn? When did my life get turned so upside down and inside out that people would think me capable of such a thing? When did this happen? That's not me. I'm not like that."


"Hey, don’t sweat it buddy. These guys don’t matter. They don’t know you."


Spike looked away, his inner turmoil written plainly on his face, "Nobody knows me. I'm not even sure I know myself anymore. I can't deal with this, Charles. I--I just can't deal." He started walking away.


"Spike! Where are you going?"


He didn't stop, "Library. I'm late for my shift.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It was getting late, and there were only two guys left in the library. Not your typical bookworms, but they were quietly reading their porn magazines, only exchanging a comment once in a while.


Spike appreciated the peaceful moment. These were a rare luxury at the prison. He needed the time to organize his thoughts. Quality solitary moments were one of the things he missed the most about freedom. Well, that, and spicy chicken wings. The warden had no idea how happy she made him by assigning him to the library. With most of the prisoners having no interest in books whatsoever, it was usually the quietest place in Sunnydale's prison.


It wasn't the most impressive book collection-mostly donations from Sunnydale's libraries-but to Spike who grew up surrounded by books, it was heaven. Ten or so bookshelves, five tables with ratty old chairs that looked like they had been pulled out of a dumpster, and five study rooms, made up what they called the library. The prison was offering classes to keep the convicts busy, and they used these rooms to work on their assignments.


Spike pulled out a small notebook from the back pocket of his pants. It was a gift from Charles’ sister. That girl was an angel. Spike had no one visiting him, no one bringing him anything. He had been going insane without anything to write on, so she had brought him a leather bound journal and a smaller, matching, notepad.


Spike's only family was his father, Ethan, and he had abandoned his son to his fate completely. The man's only worry when he had found out about his son's troubles was about the consequences on his own reputation. He never even showed up in court to show William some support. There was only one phone call, and it was basically to tell him that he wasn't his son anymore.


Spike sat behind the counter and started scribbling away in his pad. Writing had always been his way of keeping his sanity. It had helped him through the worst moments of his life. Angel and Darla had teased him relentlessly about it, but he didn't give a bloody damn if they thought he was a nancy boy. Well, considering the turn of events, maybe he should have given a damn. He probably shouldn't have let them see that he was a hopeless romantic fool. By doing so, he had only given them the perfect victim for their evil machinations, but that didn't matter anymore now, did it.


He tried to find coherent words to describe what happened the day before, but it seemed like an impossible task. He wasn't even sure if he was writing a story that came right out of his fantasist mind, a poem, his thoughts… It was a little bit of everything.


Buffy's beauty, her strength, the sharpness of her mind. How relieved he had been when he found out she hadn't known about him being locked up in isolation. The fear that coursed through his veins the second he realized he had just kissed her. And most of all, the explosion of emotions he had felt when she kissed him back.



She tasted like a perfect summer day. Ripe strawberries, juicy watermelon, refreshing lemonade. I could almost feel the warmth of the sun on my skin, and the coolness of the freshly cut grass underneath my bare feet. In a matter of seconds, she took me away from here and made me travel half way across the world to a place I never knew existed. I felt the incredible urge to pray and beg whichever God is looking over us, to let me stay there forever. But then reality came crashing back on us and left me broken and with the strong desire to weep.




Spike looked up when one of the guys laughed and made a lewd comment. He pointed something out in the magazine he was reading and the other guy laughed too. Then the quiet settled once more and Spike went back to his writing.



How am I supposed not to want this again? It's like offering a sip of fresh water to a man dying of thirst, then taking the glass away from him. I almost regret she walked into my life. I was getting used to my misery before she came along, almost comfortable with it. But it now seems unbearable to me. Is life done playing games with me? Everything I've ever had has been taken away. Isn't that enough? Why taunt me in such a cruel way as to let me meet the perfect woman at the worst possible time of my life? I barely know her, and yet it feels like I do. And the ironic thing is, she seems to be feeling the same way. But what hurts the most is that she probably regrets that brief moment between us with all her heart right now. She's probably afraid that somehow, the word will get out. I can only hope that she knows in her heart that I wouldn't betray her confidence and that this kiss will remain between us.




"Did I ever tell you how I find that writers are useless members of society that only give people more reasons to waste time with their nose in books?"


Spike looked up to see his cell mate standing in front of the counter, a disgusted look twisting his already unappealing features.


"Did I ever tell you how I enjoy scraping midgets' faces against brick walls? I'd be worried if I were you, Snyder, you're pretty damn short."


"You can't get me with threats, Spikey. I've been a high school principal before ending up in jail. I've mastered the art of threats a long time ago."


"And I've mastered the art of putting threats to execution a long time ago. Now be a good troll and bugger off before I get really cross with you and decide to kill you in your sleep."


"Stupid, idiotic, bleached, psycho freak," Snyder mumbled while walking away. "You're a threat to society, Spike, and a waste of perfectly good living space. That's all I have to say about it."


"Yeah, yeah, love you too. Troll."


Spike shook his head, annoyed at the interruption,


**Where was I? Oh, yeah…**



…but despite everything, despite how wrong it is and how much it could potentially hurt both of us--God, I can't help but hope that I'll see her again.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 11: Sightseeing tour


A/N: Aren't these little A/N annoying? lol But it's like commercials on TV: you can't escape them. Come on, you know what I want.... Do I really need to ask? Reviews!
Sightseeing tour by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 11: Sightseeing tour


Her kitten heels clacked rhythmically on the well polished floor as Buffy made her way to the security guards lunchroom. She was well rested, in a good mood after spending the weekend with Dawn, and determined to make the most of her morning. She usually avoided the guards’ lunchroom because of the slight tension between her and her employees, but she wanted to say hello to Giles, and that’s where Harmony said she’d find him.


She composed her best “friendly boss” face, then walked in. Giles was sitting at a table, reading a news paper, while two of the guys where getting coffee from the vending machine. The two guards saw her, then walked out of the room. They brushed past her without as much as a look. They were obviously still not forgiving her for suspending Jake and Devon. Well, if they wanted to blame her for doing her job, too bad. They’d just have to get used to working for a warden who wasn’t corrupt.


Giles looked up from his reading and smiled.


“Looky, I walk in and the place clears up. Am I the most popular girl in the building or what?” she sat in front of him.


“Blubbering idiots they all are. Don’t pay attention.”


Buffy tilted her head to observe Giles, an amused grin forming on her lips. “You look tired Giles. Didn’t sleep well this weekend? Tell me, how was that date with Anya?”


She laughed when he blushed. He took off his glasses, a nervous habit she’d noticed he had.


“It went--rather well, I must say.”


“I still can’t believe you let her chose where you guys were going. I’m impressed, Giles. Knowing the girl, I’d say that was really daring of you. Where did she take you anyway? A strip club?”


He put his glasses back on his nose and tried to look dignified despite what he was about to say. “To a--wrestling show.”


Buffy went hysterical. She laughed so hard that tears were running down her face. She finally managed to calm down. “Please, tell me you’re kidding?”


“Surprisingly, I’m not. But I must say that after two or three lagers, I did enjoy myself. And it turned out that watching sweaty barbarian looking men rolling around on the ring together, puts Anya in a really good mood.”


“Hence the dark circles under your eyes?”


“Precisely.”


Buffy cracked up again, incapable of keeping serious. “Oh God, that’s too good! Well at least one of us is getting some action.”


Giles turned even more red at her comment.


“Yes, well, when you’re done laughing at my expense…” His words were scolding her, but he couldn‘t hold back the happy grin that was lighting up his face.


“Sorry, Giles.“ Buffy took a deep breath. “I‘m calm now, promise.” She got up. “Other than to tease you, there’s actually a reason why I’m here. My friend Cordelia is coming here this afternoon and I’d like to take her for a tour of the place. She’ll be here around 1:30. Could you have an escort ready for us? I‘ll need maybe two guards--no, make it three. Cordelia is kinda hot.”


Giles chuckled. “That’s not a problem, Buffy. I’ll have Faith, Ron and Dave to come with you. Faith is starting her shift at 1pm so I’ll just keep her around until then, and I’ll make sure the other two will be available In time.”


“That’s cool. Faith isn’t too much of a bitch when you get to know her. And Ron and Dave--they’re the nice ones, right?”


“Yes, they are. They like you so I’ll feel better knowing you’re with them. I would go, but I have to train a new guy this afternoon. Perhaps I could call him to reschedule if you‘d prefer.”


“No, don’t worry. That won’t be necessary. We’ll be all right. I’ll call you when my friend gets here.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy was sitting comfortably on her couch with her shoes off, trying to concentrate on a file. She had to attend the parole board in the afternoon to study a case and having nothing else to do until Cordelia got there, she decided to take a look at it. She was starting to get bored when harmony walked in.


“Ms. Chase-Harris is here. Can I bring her in?”


Buffy looked between Cordelia who had already walked in, and Harmony who seemed to be waiting for an answer. “She’s… already in, Harm. But--huh--thanks anyway. That‘d be all.”


“All right then. If you need anything, I’ll be at my desk.”


“That’s--great. I’ll make sure to call you.”


Harmony closed the door, leaving the two girls alone.


“Ok. What’s with the poodle?”


“She made an attempt at curling her hair this morning. I think she didn’t get the result she was hoping for.”


“I wasn’t talking about the hair, I was talking about the IQ. But thanks for answering my next question.”


“Harm is harmless.” They both giggled at how funny that sounded. “You get used to her after a while. She’s actually quite entertaining. If I’m down, or just plain bored, I go and try to have a conversation with her for five minutes. I always come back to my office feeling so much better.”


“You don’t say.” Cordelia laughed. “Speaking of office…”


The brunette gave her surroundings an appreciative look. “Quite posh if I can say so myself. Not crazy about the sky blue of the walls though. I’d suggest a light green. Green goes well with your complexion so you’d look stunning sitting in that big leather chair of yours. Oh, and I have this great painting at home that would look awesome on this wall over there. And…”


“Cordy!” Buffy interrupted her, clearly amused. “My office is your canvas, oh great master of everything pretty and tasteful. Do whatever you want with it.”


“Really? Cause this place has huge potential. I could go nuts in here.”


“Go nuts, have fun.”


“Awesome! I’ll come back maybe next week or the one after if work permits. You won’t recognize the place. You won’t want to leave work anymore. It’s gonna be fabulous. It’s gonna be…”


“Is that Chinese food in your bag?”


Cordelia opened her eyes wide, not sure what Buffy was talking about, then looked down at the bag she was holding. “Oh. Yes. Yes, it’s food. Let’s eat.”


Buffy smiled and shook her head. Her friend was so enthusiastic whenever decoration or fashion was concerned that she could talk about it for hours and lose track of what was going on around her.


They set up the food on the coffee table and sat down to enjoy it. Buffy fought Cordelia for the pineapple chicken and won. She started eating voraciously.


“Oh God, this is soooo good. I was starving.”


Cordelia pouted. “You better leave some of that chicken for me, you ogre, or else your office will stay the way it Is.”


Buffy rolled her eyes and handed her the chicken container then took a bite off a spring roll. “So, how’s my little cutie pie going?”


“I’m doing great.”


“Not you doofus. Camille.”


“Relentlessly asking about you.” Cordelia said with a heavy sigh. She mimicked a high pitched voice, trying to imitate her daughter. “Mooommy? When are we gonna see auntie Buffy? Huh? When? Is auntie Buffy coming to see us? How many nightie nights before we visit auntie Buffy moooommy? I miss her!”


“Awww! Poor Cam. She’s so used to having me over at your place almost everyday, it must be hard for her to understand. I’ll visit soon, I promise. Maybe I could take her with me for the weekend. Give you and Xander some quality alone time.”


“That’d be great. She misses her godmother and I miss Xander.” Cordy frowned lightly. “He works like crazy and is tired all the time. Forget about his husband duties, he’s way too exhausted for that.”


“You mean the cleaning and the cooking?” Buffy asked, innocently.


“Ha, ha, funny. I’m horny as hell. He started last night, and fell asleep on top of me. I should have gone with my first idea and go on top. Do you have any idea how heavy a construction worker can be? Anyway, I had to finish the job myself. Damn, I’m actually looking forward to seeing a couple of rugged, prisoners. Can we stop by the work out area and look at the hot sweaty ones?” She batted her eyelashes at Buffy. “Please?”


Buffy chuckled and shoved a piece of chicken in her mouth. “Whatever you want, Cor. But I’m telling Xander you said that.”


“Don’t you dare!”


They both laughed and finished their lunch, just enjoying each other’s company. Then Buffy called Giles and he sent the guards to Buffy’s office.


There was a knock on the door.


“Come in.”


A tall, tough looking brunette in uniform walked through the door, followed by two other guards.


“Yo boss, how’s it going?”


“I’m cool, Faith. How are you?”


“Bitchin’.” She cracked her knuckles, making Cordelia wince. “Ready to whack some prison boys upside the head if they come anywhere near one of you girls.”


Cordelia gave Buffy a look, but the warden just shrugged. The two other guys chuckled and snorted when they saw the shocked look on Cordy’s face.


“Don’t worry about Faith, ma‘am,” the tallest one said “she’s not dangerous. Well… unless you’re a con an you’re not behaving.”


“Yeah, I can be quite the bitch. A girl’s gotta earn some respect around here if she wants to survive. Let’s get this show on the road, shall we?”


They all left the office. Cordelia elbowed Buffy and whispered in her ear. “What’s the deal with that girl? Does she get testosterone shots or does prison do that to all women who work here for too long? Are you gonna turn like that?”


“That’s just the way Faith is. But I kinda like her. She looks after me and isn’t afraid to stand up for me. I appreciate that. I wasn’t so sure about having a female guard at first, but she really can hold her own. She has quite the reputation and the prisoners respect her.”


“No kidding. They’re probably scared of her.”


Cordelia had never been in a prison so Buffy showed her everything, explaining what was what and introducing her to people. They reached the open space that was the work out area Cordy had been asking about earlier.


“Wanted sweaty men?” Buffy whispered in Cordelia’s ear. “Here they are.”


“I think I specified hot sweaty men.”


“Well, if you’re gonna be difficult…”


Buffy spotted Spike. He was lying on the bench press, shirtless, sweat making his muscular torso look sleek and well defined. Faith noticed him too.


“Damn that’s a fine piece of man. The things I would do to that guy if I had the chance…” The brunette said under her breath.


Buffy turned sharply to look at her, barely controlling the urge to tell her to back off. She managed to give her a tight smile.


“A wise woman once told me ‘don’t ogle prisoners’.” Cordelia gave Buffy a questioning look but the blonde girl merely smiled. “I think that was one great piece of advice that you should follow too.. For your own good I mean.”


“Hey boss, don’t worry, just looking. That job can be a drag sometimes if you don’t have yourself a little look once in a while, don’t you think?”


She winked at Buffy, not noticing how the blonde girl gritted her teeth.


The group started to walk out of the room but Buffy stopped them.


“Wait for me outside, I’ll be right there.”


“Want me to stay with you, B?”


“No, Faith, I’ll only be a second.”


They all walked away, and Buffy made her way to the other end of the room, pretending to have to check on something. She made sure to say a word to two or three guys on the way so it wouldn‘t look too strange when she‘d talk to Spike. When she came back, she stopped by where he was sitting on the bench press. He had been looking at her.


Buffy made sure to keep a neutral expression not to attract any unwanted attention.


“Just so we’re clear…” She said in a voice low enough that nobody else would hear, “I haven’t been avoiding you. I just haven’t found a good reason to justify seeing you yet.”


His lips didn’t smile, but his eyes did. He just nodded, realizing that it would look suspicious if they seemed too friendly. She walked away. She could almost feel his eyes on her as she left the room.


She joined the others who were waiting for her outside.


“All taken care off.” She said with a bright smile. “Let’s go now.”


Cordelia kept giving her sideway glances as they walked, but Buffy ignored her. They passed through security and the two of them went back to Buffy’s office.


“So…” Cordelia started, her voice dragging. “I can see what the fuss was all about.”


Buffy looked up, her eyes full of incomprehension. “Fuss?”


“Bleached blonde, blue eyes, pouty lips, body to die for, smoking hot… staring at you with puppy dog eyes. That’s the guy, right?”


Buffy turned bright red. “No idea what you’re talking about.”


“Liar. I’m sure he was the one you were talking about the other day.”


“Oh. Him? I don’t know. Was he in there? I didn’t notice.”


“Yeah right. If YOU haven’t noticed, just call me Sister Cordelia and spank me. I saw the way you snapped at Faith in there for making that comment.”


“I did not!”


“Sure you did. You’re lucky she probably assumed it’s because you don’t want your employees to have too much fun with the prisoners. Why did you go back in there by the way?”


“Nothing. I just--wanted to check something.”


“Sure you didn’t go back to compliment Adonis on his toned body?”


“You’re such a freak, Cord. We’re not all like you, you know.” Buffy pouted exaggeratedly and silently hoped that Cordelia would let it go.


Cordelia laughed. “Oh come on. Stop blushing like a school girl. Nobody can blame you for drooling over that guy. He made me want to stay in prison for Christ sake. Too bad you can’t have him though. That’s a real shame cause the way he was looking at you…”


“He was probably looking at me the way a prisoner looks at his warden: with contempt and hatred.”


Cordelia just rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say, blondie.” She grabbed her purse and started making her way to the door. “I have a couple of potential clients to meet in town this afternoon, but I’ll meet you at your place later. What time will you be out of here?”


“6ish.”


“I’ll stop by the grocery store and buy stuff we can cook on the grill outside.”


“Sounds like a plan to me. Do you need someone to escort you out?”


“I’ll be fine.” Cordelia said, blowing her a kiss. “See you later.”


Buffy felt almost relieved when her friend left. She had felt so guilty for not telling her the truth about Spike. But Cordelia would have screamed and call her a dumb ass, then she would have spent the next two hours telling her all the reasons why kissing Spike had been a bad idea. And how wanting to see him again was an even worst idea. She didn’t feel like hearing that right now, didn’t want someone to try to convince her that what she was doing was stupid. She knew it was. She just didn’t care so much anymore. She wanted that guy more than she’d ever want anything in her life and the last thing she wanted to do was being reasonable.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy got back to her office after her session at the parole board. The parole had been denied, and the guy didn’t take it well. She was exhausted. She was tidying up her desk and getting ready to leave when the door opened and a smirking Spike was roughly pushed inside by Giles.


“What’s going on?” She asked, surprised. Her eyes kept darting between Spike who had a smug look on his face, and Giles who looked pissed beyond the telling of it. “What did he do?”


“You heard the lady, Spike. Why don’t you explain to her what you did?”


“I walked up to Parker and broke his nose. Or at least, it sounded like it broke. Can’t be too sure though.”


Conveniently, someone called Giles on his walkie talkie. The timing couldn’t have been better.


“I’m sorry. I’ll be right back.” He walked out, closing the door behind him.


“What the Hell did you do that for?” Buffy got up and walked around her desk to face Spike. He had instantly dropped the though guy attitude he was putting on for Giles’ benefit and now looked like the man she had kissed a week ago.


He shrugged. “You said you hadn’t been able to come up with a reason to see me yet. So I gave you one.”


Buffy couldn’t help the smile that was tugging at her lips. “And why Parker?”


Spike smiled back at her. “You can never go wrong with Parker. He always deserves a good punch in the nose. I‘m sure he did something bad today. I just don't happen to know exactly what it is.”


Her grin grew wider. “You’re impossible.”


“Yeah. I know.”


They looked into each other’s eyes for a few moments until Buffy finally said “Oh fuck it!” and crossed the few steps that were still separating them.


Their lips met for a passionate kiss. His bound hands automatically came up to cup her face. That was the best he could do with the handcuffs around his wrists.


Buffy was scared of getting caught, but that only made it taste better. There was some desperation behind the act, but also tenderness and all kinds of emotions that couldn’t be described. They tried to take whatever they could from each other in the little time they were allowed. The kiss only lasted a couple of minutes, and it wasn’t enough, but they both knew they had to end it soon. They let their tongues duel for a few moments, both reluctant to stop even though they knew they should. It was too good to give it up, but they finally pulled apart. As soon as they did, they missed the other’s taste but there was nothing they could do about it. Giles would come back soon.


Her forehead still touching his, Buffy closed her eyes and took a deep shaky breath to try to regain her senses.


“Next time, I’ll make sure to tell Giles I need time alone with you to give you a long speech on how to behave correctly in a prison. And I’ll lock the door.”


“Yes. That’d be best. I wish I could have time to just sit with you for a while and find out more about you, pet.”


“Me too. This situation sucks beyond words.”


“I thought…“ He hesitated, looking embarrassed at his own insecurities. “I thought you’d changed your mind and didn’t want to see me again. Decided I wasn’t worth the trouble. I was going crazy. It’s been the longest bloody week of my life.”


“I know. I missed you, but I didn’t know what to do. I spent the week fighting with myself about how wrong this is. And even if I wanted to see you, I just couldn’t find a way. I’ll try being more clever from now on so it doesn’t take as long.”


Spike smirked. “You better. I can’t go around punching people for no reasons all the time.”


Buffy frowned. “You know I’ll have to do something about this now, right? If I just let it slide, people will start asking questions.”


“I know, luv, but it was worth it. Just send me to the hole for a couple of days, I don’t mind one bit. I’ll use the peace and quiet to replay that kiss in my mind. Besides, my cellmate snores so it’ll be good to spend a few nights alone without the little rat.”


Buffy heard someone behind the door and took two quick steps back to put a decent distance between Spike and her.


Giles walked in.


“Sorry about that, Buffy. There was an emergency.”


“Anything I should worry about?”


“No. Nothing like that. It was a false alarm.”


“All right.” Buffy nodded toward Spike. “Take him to the hole for a good two days. He obviously can’t be around people. It might do him some good to be isolated for a while.”


Giles took Spike’s arm and guided him out of the office. Spike turned his head to look at Buffy one last time. She mouthed the word “sorry” and he gave her a quick smile before disappearing into the hallway.


She sighed and hung her head.


“Was that William Rayne I just saw walking out of your office?”


Buffy looked up. Willow was standing in her doorway.


“Hi Will. Yes, it was Spike. Why?”


“Nothing. It’s just that this boy gives me the hardest time whenever we have a session together.”


Buffy looked surprised. “Really? I’ve never had a problem with him. Other prisoners have problems with him, obviously, since he was in my office, but he’s always been really nice and respectful to me.”


She went to sit at her desk and invited Willow to take a seat too.


“I’m not saying he’s mean or rude or anything. But he’s… Difficult.”


“What do you mean?”


Buffy was starting to worry. **What is it? Does he have a split personality or something and I was too naïve and blinded by his hotness to see it?**


“I’m really good at what I do, or at least, I like to think so.” Willow explained. “And yet, I’ve never been able to get a word out of him. He’s the absolute master of answering a question with a question, changing the subject, or distracting me until I forget what question I asked. He won’t say a word about himself, no matter what I try.”


“I don’t know what to say, Will. That just doesn’t sound like the guy I met.”


“I tried something different the other day. I tried having a conversation with him about trivial stuff. He was a completely different person. He sounded very well educated, smart, funny, almost outgoing. Then I asked him something personal, and he shut down like a clam.”


Buffy breathed a sigh of relief. She had been worried for a second that Willow would tell her Spike was a psychopath. But he probably just didn’t want to tell the criminologist about his private life and his past.


“He probably just has a hard time opening up to people, is all.”


“But you said he wasn’t like that with you.”


“I don’t know what to tell you, Will. He did tell me a little bit about his past, but that doesn’t mean we have a special connection or anything. He was probably just in a good mood that day…”


The redhead’s face lit up. “Do you think you could sit in with us tomorrow? I have a session with him in the afternoon. It would be great to have a second opinion.”


Buffy thought about it. First, that would get Spike out of the hole for an hour, second, she’d get to see him twice in twenty four hours. And as a bonus, she’d get to know a little more about him.


“Sure.” She answered with her brightest smile. “Not a problem at all. Tell me what time, and I’ll be there.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 12: Couch Confessions
Couch confessions by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 12: Couch confessions


The man who walked into Willow’s office was not the man Buffy knew, or thought she knew. He had a smug smile on his face and an arrogant swagger to his step. Despite the handcuffs on his wrists, he walked in like he owned the place. He slouched on the chair in front of the two women, legs spread wide in a defiant manner.


Buffy wasn’t duped by the mask though. She had worn it quite a few times in the past when confronted to a situation she wasn’t sure she could handle, not wanting to show her weakness and vulnerability. It was fairly obvious to her what Spike was doing.


Willow had arranged three chairs on the other side of her desk so they would be facing each other in a more intimate way, instead of having the huge wooden desk separating them. She had been hoping the friendlier settings would prompt Spike to open up to them. It was now painfully clear that her tactic wouldn’t work.


Spike raised a cocky eyebrow at the criminologist, barely sparing Buffy a glance. “Long time no see, pet. I was starting to think you don’t like me very much. Bloody hurt my feelings, it did.”


“Hello William. How are you doing?” Willow asked, ignoring his sarcastic comment.


“Right then,” He said without answering her. “Are we done with the niceties and all that rubbish? Can I go now?”


Spike’s attitude and the hostility he was projecting was bothering Buffy more than she‘d like. He wasn’t acknowledging her, choosing to focus on Willow instead. Willow who was now giving Buffy a look that clearly said: “See what I meant?!”


“No. Not yet.” The redhead answered him. She was trying her best to look professional and in control of the situation, but she was quickly losing the fight under Spike’s intense stare. “I was hoping we could have a talk.”


Spike tilted his head toward Buffy, but his eyes never left Willow. “Ganging up on me now? Why are you so determined to get me to ‘talk’ anyway, Red? You’re making us both waste precious time. I was perfectly happy in my hole, staring at the bleeding wall and day dreaming about nice things.”


“We are not ganging up on you, William…”


“It’s Spike. You know that.”


Willow ignored the comment and kept talking. “Ms. Summers will be sitting in, not participating. And this is not a waste of your time or my time. These evaluations are necessary, and I think talking to someone else about you and your past could help you deal with…”


“Don’t need your bloody help, all right? I’m dealing with my problems on my own. I don’t need someone who doesn’t give a bleedin’ damn about me to pretend to care. So if we’re about done here, ducks, you can have the guards escort me back to isolation.” Spike started getting up from the chair.


“Sit. Down.” Buffy held his eyes for a few stretching moments.


Willow was clutching her clip board, looking somewhat uncomfortable at the sudden tension in the room. Something was happening between the two blondes now engaged in a staring contest. She couldn’t tell what it was, but she was getting the definite feeling that she didn’t belong in the room with them.


You could hear the seconds ticking away on the office’s clock, the only thing breaking the heavy silence.


Spike slowly sat back down, his stormy eyes never leaving Buffy’s.


Not looking away either, Buffy addressed Willow in a tone that didn’t give her any option but to obey. “Willow, could you leave us for a little while. Go grab a cup of coffee or something. Come back in about half an hour.”


Willow merely nodded, and after handing Buffy her little digital voice recorder, she left the room without a word.


Buffy turned the thing off and put it on the desk behind her. Willow would have to live without hearing the conversation that was soon to follow. She pulled her chair up until she was sitting knee to knee with Spike.


She waited a few more seconds before finally speaking. “I don’t understand what the Hell got into you. Why are you acting this way?”


“What? Can you really blame me for refusing to spill my guts in front of someone who gives bugger all about me? Someone who will study my case as if I were some kind of lab rat? I’m sorry if I disappoint, but I usually chose who I want to talk to.”


He was right, she couldn’t blame him. She understood what he meant, and when she spoke again, she wasn’t as angry anymore. “Spike, you didn’t even give her a chance. I know how you feel, but Willow is a nice, caring person. And she’s really good at her job. She could help you, you know.”


Spike laughed, but it was a humorless sound.


“No one can help me, Buffy.”


“Have you so little faith left in people that you can’t believe someone might actually want to help you?”


She couldn’t speak for Willow, but she knew she wanted to help him… More than he’d ever know. But he wasn’t in the mood to hear that right then.


“And have you conveniently forgotten that I’m in here for life? Cause I haven’t.” He said, his voice laced with bitterness. “I was there when the judge sentenced me to prison for life with no chance of parole. Not the sort of thing you forget easily, pet.”


“Spike…”


“So what is Red gonna do exactly that could possibly help me? I’ll tell her ‘I didn’t do it’, she’ll write on her little clip board somewhere between all the doodles she must be doing while pretending to listen: ‘delusional’ or maybe even ‘pathological liar’--then what?.. I’ll tell you what. Nothing. Because there is nothing she can do, or will do for me.”


“You still need to talk to someone, Spike.”


“I don’t see why.” He said stubbornly.


“All the bad things that happened--if you keep it all to yourself, it will drive you mad.”


He looked away. “I know.”


Buffy waited a moment, observing his somber features. He was in a dark place, and she wasn’t sure if she should go there, but she had to.


“Talk to me.” She said softly, her hand on his knee to try to get him to look at her. He finally did.


“Why?” He asked as if everything depended on the right answer to this simple question.


“Because I care.”


He nodded. “Where do you want me to start?”


“I don’t know--why don’t you tell me who the girl was?”


He chuckled. “Right. Let’s cut to the chase then.” He took a deep breath and concentrated on bringing back painful memories he most likely spent months trying not to stir.


“I was in my first year at UCLA when I met Drusilla Blackwell.” He started slowly, saying the name with emotion. “The two of us were from two completely opposite worlds. I was a nerdy freshman studying English literature in hope of some day becoming a writer, and she was the Goth princess of the campus. One of those eternal students attending college only to kill time, and have some fun while doing it. She wasn’t my usual type of girl. I was raised in a wealthy family, surrounded by those high society snob women, who couldn’t care less about me.”


“Is that what attracted you to her? That she was so different?”


“It was a little bit of this, yeah, and so much more. Dru could have charmed the devil if she wanted. Sure, she was a beautiful girl. Thick raven mane, pale skin, piercing eyes. But it wasn’t just that. There was something else about her. Something I can’t describe. And the minute she showed me interest, I was doomed. When Dru wanted something, she’d get it. And it didn’t take long for her to get me. At first, everything was perfect. She was my dark princess, and I was her bloody awful poet.”


Buffy frowned. “She thought you were a bad writer?”


He laughed. “I don’t know. Probably not. But soon after we started dating, I wrote her a poem. Turned out she hated poetry. So she laughed and started calling me her bloody awful poet. Anyway, things turned sour pretty quickly. I was so bloody enthralled by her that I started skipping classes just to be with her. I spent so much money to make her happy, but it was never enough. I ended up spending my tuition money on her and dropping out of college. We had nowhere to stay so we came here to Sunnydale. She said she had mates here and they wouldn’t mind giving us a place to crash for a while. That’s how I had the misfortune to meet Liam ‘Angel’ MacAlister, and his wife Darla.”


Spike stopped talking for a moment, lost in his thoughts. Buffy wanted to know more, but didn’t want to press him. She was eagerly leaning forward on her chair, hands between her knees, giving him her full attention.


“I knew right away that these people were bad news.” He continued. “Even their three year old son, Connor, was evil. I love kids, but after being around that brat, I almost changed my mind. I don’t usually talk like that about people, but Angel was a right bastard, and Darla was a whore. All they cared about was having fun at other people’s expense, never worrying about consequences. That’s what they did with Drusilla and me. I haven’t mentioned this, but Dru had a drug problem. I only found out after I started fancying her. I was so in love with her that I made it my only goal to save her. I knew she was stealing my money to buy that shit, but I believed in her and believed that she was strong and would get over her addiction.”


“Did she?”


Spike shook his head. “She almost did, but as soon as we moved in with Angel and Darla, it got worse. They encouraged her addiction, going as far as buying coke for her and leaving it around the house. They made it almost impossible for her to ever get better. Things got so bad in that house, it killed the passion between Dru and I. But even if I wasn’t in love with her anymore, I still loved her and didn’t want to give up on her. These people were destroying her life. She was sick and she needed me. Abandoning her there would have been like signing her death sentence.”


“But, these people, Angel and Darla, they were destroying your life too, weren’t they?”


“That’s the biggest understatement of the century, pet. They didn’t just destroy my life, they went way beyond that and I let them because I loved her. That’s me. I’m a right fool when it comes to love. But even if I loved her, I still ended up having to chose between me or her. I finally woke up when I was faced with the choice of leaving and saving myself, or staying to help her, and risking my sanity--I was sinking with her. The choice was hard, but I had to make it. Besides, at that point, I had reason to think that she was cheating on me. So I tried breaking it off with her a couple times. Every time though, she’d beg me to stay, and things would get back to the way they were at first. But it would only last a week or two. She’d be affectionate, calling me her sweet William, cuddling with me and promising me the world. Then, things would deteriorate again. That’s when…”


Buffy noticed how emotional Spike suddenly became. She took one of his hands that was resting on his knee and squeezed it gently in a discreet sign of support.


“I--I wanted to confront her that night. I came back early on purpose. I wanted to catch her in the act so there wouldn’t be anymore doubts in my mind. I was tired of deluding myself. When I noticed Angel’s car in the driveway, I figured I had missed my chance to catch her cheating because there was no way she’d shag that tosser. But as soon as I walked into the house, I knew I was wrong. The thing is, it wasn’t Angel I saw her with, but Darla. They were on the bed, naked.”


“You mean--Drusilla and Darla were…”


“Yep. They were. And Dru looked like she was enjoying herself too. She was all sprawled out on the bed with Darla‘s hand between her legs. I don‘t even think she saw me there. Unfortunately for me, I was so surprised at the sight that I think I zoned out for a few moments. That’s when…”


He took a deep breath and for a moment, Buffy thought he wouldn’t continue his story. His hand was shaking badly in hers.


“That’s when my world went to Hell. Literally. I was so shocked by the display, that I didn’t notice Angel standing right next to me. He was wearing surgeon‘s gloves and nothing else, and he was holding the gun Darla had bought for Dru. She had begged her to buy it so she could defend herself against the bad guys a few months before, when she was in one of her paranoiac phase. I had been against the idea, and I guess I was right to be after all. Before I could do anything to stop it--Angel shot her.”


Silent tears were now streaming down Spike’s face as he relived the horrible memories. Buffy didn’t realize it, but she was crying too.


“It took me a few seconds to understand what had just happened. But it was too late. Darla was laughing, there was blood everywhere, and Angel had used the moment of shock to put the gun in my hand. I dropped it to the floor and left the room. I don’t remember much after that. I think I went outside. I remember throwing up, but it’s foggy. I didn’t even try to run away. I just sat on the front porch, trying to understand what had just happened. That’s where the cops found me. Time flew by after that. Everything worked against me in court so it didn’t take very long for the verdict. They had eye witnesses, my hand prints on the gun, and the motive. Darla sat at the witness-box, crying hysterically and pointing a shaky finger in my direction with all the day time TV drama she could put in the act. Next thing I knew, a judge was telling me in technical words that life was over for me. The very worst moment of my life, is when I heard the word ‘guilty’ resonating in that court room. I’ll never forget. Never.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Willow opened to door, and froze. In front of her was Spike, his head on his knees, obviously crying. Buffy was kneeling in front of him, running her hand through his hair, the way a mother comfort a child. She gaped at the scene, incapable of tearing her eyes away.


Finally, feeling like she was intruding, she quietly walked out and closed the door behind her.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 13: Eye Witness
Eye Witness by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 13: Eye witness


She drove for what seemed like hours, never getting anywhere. But despite the miles accumulating on the car’s speedometer, she never put any distance between her and Sunnydale. Her intent had never been to leave the town in the first place since her destination was only five minutes away from her own house. She just couldn’t bring herself to take the turn that would lead her to the dreadful place she wanted to see. So she kept on driving in circles. Her eyes were focused on a point straight ahead and her thoughts were going a hundred miles an hour. The goal of the ride was to witness the crime scene with her own eyes, but all she managed to do so far was to avoid it.


Earlier that night, Buffy had gone through Spike’s file to try finding out everything she could about that night’s events. There was nothing interesting in the file though. A copy of Darla’s deposition, one of Liam, the transcript of the court session and some technical details about the judgment. Everything matched what Spike had told her earlier, except the fact that he was innocent. Reading all this left her feeling frustrated.


After she got back home, she’d called an old acquaintance of hers, Willy, who worked at Sunnydale Police Department. She had met the guy while working in L.A. where he often stopped by the prison to drop off prisoners. Willy had transferred to Sunnydale a year before her as a result of a disciplinary measure taken against him. Being sent to the suburb was as far from a promotion as a police officer could get. Will was a nice enough guy when you overlooked the slightly sleazy side of his personality, but he was definitely not a good cop. He had a tendency to over share confidential information and unfortunately for him, his boss figured it out after a few incidents. When Buffy had called him earlier, she had hoped that being transferred to Sunnydale hadn’t cured him of his bad habit. She wasn‘t disappointed. It took a little bit of probing, but he ended up giving her the information she needed about Liam MacAlister. Although, there really wasn’t much to know about the guy. No real criminal activity anyway. Two arrests for assaults in a bar, and one for possession of marijuana. Not a clean record, but nothing that could help her. It didn’t matter. What she really wanted was an address, and she got it.


Now Buffy was cruising the empty streets of Sunnydale in her car, alone with her thoughts. And they were not pretty. She kept replaying in her head the story Spike had told her earlier that day. Thinking about it still made her upset, but as usual, she was turning it into anger. It was so much easier to deal with anger. In her experience, being upset only led to moping on the couch like a big useless lump, just like she did the night after she kissed Spike for the first time. Buffy didn’t like that feeling at all. She was action girl. That's what she did. She wasn’t the type of person to just sit and wait for things to change on their own. She needed to feel like she was doing something, like she was accomplishing something constructive. Anger always egged her on so she welcomed the feeling with open arms and let it take over her.


Making a decision, she suddenly did a sharp u-turn on Main street and stepped on the accelerator, heading in the opposite direction. She slowed down to be able to read the street names. When she found the one she was looking for, she signaled and turned. It was the town’s trashiest neighborhood. Generally speaking, the citizens of Sunnydale were mid to upper class. Large well lit sidewalks, pretty family houses with well kept lawns, expensive cars and brand new mini vans. It was the kind of perfect town where you want to raise your kids. A dream come true for soccer moms and busy CEO dads. But there was a small part of town that wasn’t exactly recommendable. Buffy wasn’t surprised to find out that this part of town was where Angel and Darla lived.


Small houses in desperate need of a paint job were lined up on each side of the street, so close from one another that you could probably hear what the neighbor was watching on TV. Most of them had old rusted cars parked in the driveway, tricycle and other kid toys abandoned on the front lawn, and the lawn itself was in a pitiful state. It was a sad contrast with the comfortable lifestyle Buffy was used to. The fact that William submitted himself to life in this neighborhood for the love of a woman, him who had been raised in luxury, was impressive in itself.


**That stupid Drusilla chick should have been kissing his feet and thanking God every day for being loved this much, instead of cheating on him like a big whore. I don’t know a lot of men who would live in one of those houses for a woman.** Buffy thought bitterly.


It started raining, making it difficult for her to see the addresses from the poorly lit street. But she finally found it. 230 Aurelius. The place where William Rayne had spent his last moment of freedom. Posh was definitely not the word she'd use to describe the house. The grayish white paint was peeling off on many spots and one of the windows on the second floor had been replaced with cardboard. A lawnmower had been abandoned by the front porch, probably ten years ago if the state of rusting was any indication. The lights were out and everything seemed quiet. But it was almost 4am and the car, a huge brown 1986 Oldsmobile Delta, was parked on the side of the house. They were probably in there, sleeping.


Buffy took the opportunity to fuel her anger by imagining Spike sleeping on his cot, cold, alone and uncomfortable, while those two murderers were sound asleep in their own bed. The house might have looked like a dump, but it was still way too good for them. If what Spike had told her was true, and she knew deep down that it was, then the people living in this house belonged in jail. They were the ones who should be sleeping on a cot every night for the rest of their pathetic lives.


She heard Spike’s voice in her head.


“I didn’t even try to run away. I just sat on the front porch, trying to understand what had just happened. That’s where the cops found me.”



The rain was beating down on the windshield, blurring everything outside. It rarely rained at this time of the year in California, but the weather suited Buffy’s mood perfectly. She stared at the porch and could almost see in her mind’s eyes the ghost of William sitting there with his head in his hands, waiting for the cops to arrive and take his freedom away from him. It wasn’t fair. It shouldn’t have been.


She was actually curious to see Angel and Darla. She wanted to see what evil looked like. How could two human beings be so completely evil that they’d come up with such a horrible plan, and lie so well that they’d fool everybody into putting the wrong man behind bars? How can you live with yourself knowing that you‘ve done that? How can you sleep at night? This was something Buffy couldn’t fathom no matter how hard she tried. Maybe because it takes a psychopath to understand another psychopath.


**Soulless. They have to be. There is no other explanation.**


The rain had stopped and the sky was turning to a lighter shade, a sure sign that the sun was coming up. Buffy realized that she had been sitting there for way too long. Turning the key in the ignition, she started the car and drove away, hoping that she hadn’t been noticed. Being spotted tonight would have been of the bad. She was there to observe only. Somehow, she needed to see this place for herself. It made what Spike went through, a reality to her as well. By being there, it made her part of this whole mess. Like adding a player to a game of poker when the game is already started. She had just thrown some money on the table and taken a seat. The only thing was, Liam Angel MacAlister and his wife Darla thought the game to be long over. Now, they’d have to sit back down and wait for the cards to be dealt again. And Buffy would make sure they wouldn’t go home with the money this time around.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I would like to take a moment to thank all my faithful reviewers. I can't name you all, but you know who you are. It means so much to me and know that I always take time to read each and every review, even if I don't answer them all. Thanks.

The updates have been quick on this site because those weren't new chapters. My updates might take a little bit longer to come from now on, but don't worry, I promise not to keep you hanging. If you want to be notified for updates, you can join my mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TFTHFanficupdates/
Therapy by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Again, thanks again to all my wonderful reviewers. You guys kick some major booty :-) Keep the reviews coming, it's like gas in a car... makes me write faster


CHAPTER 14: Therapy



"Mmm. You know…" Buffy breathed softly, eyes shut, a lazy smile stretching her pretty lips. "I think we're supposed to be talking about you. That's what this session is all about. Me, you, talking."


Spike had carefully slipped his bound arms around her, mindful of the handcuffs around his wrists, and was holding her close. He was feasting on the side of her neck, leaving a wet trail on her golden skin. They were cuddling on the couch in her office, enjoying the short time together this therapy session allowed them.


"Can't talk. Busy."


She giggled, both from his answer and from the way he was tickling her warm skin. "When Willow proposed that I'd take your case, I'm sure that's not what she had in mind. Not that I'm complaining. But I'm supposed to meet with her later on and share the information I gathered. What am I going to tell her?"


"Don't know, pet. Tell her I like the way your skin tastes..." He licked the side of her neck until he reached her ear lobe and sucked on it, making her moan throatily. "... and how the feel of your body against mine has a wonderful effect on my mood. Making out with you is a bloody great therapy if you ask me. You can also tell her you did that picture association game with me. You know, the one where you show me ink stains and I'm supposed to tell you what I see in 'em? Tell her I saw only you in each and every picture."


He kissed her lightly on the lips, then went back to working on her neck. But even though they were comfortably holding each other, Buffy could sense that Spike was still tensed and hesitant. As if he was afraid to go too far and push the boundaries to their limit—afraid she'd change her mind about the whole situation any minute.


With the specific intention to make him relax and to show him without any possible doubt that she wasn't about to change her mind, she tried to make them more comfortable on the couch. She leaned back until her blonde head rested on the armrest, pulling Spike along with her to lay intimately on top of her. He tensed noticeably when his erection pressed against her thigh, but she soothed him by running a loving hand up and down his back to show him that she really didn't mind. His body relaxed into hers and his lips found hers again, resuming their kiss.


"God, Buffy. You taste like heaven."


"... Never felt so good before, Spike. How am I supposed to be the reasonable one here?"


He stopped to look at her. "Luv, I think we're anything BUT reasonable. Bloody hell, we're a world away from reasonable."


Her girlish laughter echoed in the room. To the casual observer, they would have look like a happy couple who didn't have a care in the world. "Point taken."


They remained quiet for a moment, enjoying a rare and incredibly precious moment of happiness in their strange and new relationship. Spike's forehead was resting against hers, her tiny fingers running leisurely through his bleached hair.


"Tell me... What were you like when you were a little boy?"


Spike frowned. "Is that part of the information you're planning on sharing with Willow?"


"Nope. Legit curiosity, I swear. Besides, it's always good to have a minimum of information on the person you're making out with, don't you think?"


"Mm. Makes sense." He seemed lost in thoughts for a moment before his expression softened. He smiled down at her and brushed a strand of her blonde hair away from her forehead with his finger tips. "I'm sure you were an adorable little girl. I can almost see you in my mind, running around bare foot with your pigtails and sundress, not a bloody care in the world. It must have been a lovely sight. Were you always strong willed and rebellious, even back then?"


"Yep. Mom always repeated that I'd be the death of her. I could never sit down for more than five minutes at a time. I was always... "


Buffy interrupted herself and stared at Spike with her mouth gapping, suddenly realizing what he was doing. "Hey! Nice try, mister."


"What?" He gave her an innocent look.


"You are one clever man, Mr. Rayne. Here I am, with all my years of training and experience in criminal psychology, and I'm the one being interrogated?" She clicked her tongue, pretending to be annoyed. "It would almost make me feel incompetant, almost, if you weren't so damn sexy."


"And how is me being sexy an excuse?"


"Well... How could anybody expect me to resist that boyish charm of yours? I can't be held responsible for my weakness. I am a woman before being a warden, you know." She pouted prettily, already knowing how he couldn't resist that.


Instantly, his blue eyes focused on her mouth. "Yeah. That you are, luv." He drawled before capturing her plump lower lip between his in a hot kiss. "You're all woman. From head to toe, and everything in between."


She smiled, but it didn't reached her eyes which were strangely sad considering the lightness of the mood.


"This therapy excuse—it's very convenient. But it won't last. I won't be able to justify seeing you like this for long. Only real psychos, serial killers, or sex offenders, get to meet with the prison staff for evaluations and case study. Which doesn't happen a lot here since this isn't a high security prison. You getting yourself into a few spots of trouble and refusing to talk to the therapist hardly justifies being seen on a regular basis by the warden."


"I know. Are you insinuating that I'll have to be badder from now on? That I'll have to commit acts of unspeakable horror to see you, Ms. Summers? I think you're trying to be a bad influence on me, aren't you? Because that would be wrong."


Buffy tried to open her mouth to reply but he just kept talking, not giving her the chance to interrupt.


"No. Don't you dare seducing me with your words. I'm a pure soul and all that rot.


She tried again to open her mouth, clearly amused by Spike's antics. He covered her mouth with his fingers.


"I know your game. You're trying to use your endless charms and power of corruption on me, Ms. Summers. I won't be a bad man, no matter how much I want to please you..."


She took his fingers away from her lips.


"I understand, Mr. Rayne. Though I can think of other ways to please me."


He opened wide, innocent, blue eyes. "I'm intrigued. Do tell, pet."


Instead of telling him, she showed him by pulling his head to hers and smashing her lips on his for a passionate kiss. They chuckled happily in each other's mouth, not willing to break contact despite their hilarity. But too soon, Buffy pulled away, all humor gone from her hazel eyes. She sighed, a wave of sadness washing over her.


"It's getting too comfortable, isn't it?"


"I'm afraid so. Too comfortable for our own good, that's for sure."


"What do we do when the therapy excuse doesn't work anymore? Which will be like—very soon. People will notice that I've been seeing you an awful lot. They'll ask questions. People are nosy like that."


"Aren't you the boss around here, pet?"


"Yeah. But I'm not almighty. I've been placed here by the State. There's a panel who chose me for the job. And they will be scrutinizing my every move. Especially after the mess my predecessors left behind. Anything looks fishy to them and they'll be on my case like evil bees on a sugar glazed doughnut. These guys... One word to the Governor and I'm history. I suspect that fooling around in my office with one of my prisoners would be one of the things that would get my ass replaced faster than you can say 'bloody hell'. If I was evil like Wilkins and had friends in high places like he did, maybe I could pull it off. Or if I was really good at sneaking around... which I so am not!" She lowered her head to hide the sadness she was sure was obvious in her eyes. "We're so screwed, Spike."


"Come on, warden. You gotta have a little more imagination than that! We just have to be careful and clever. The way I see it, danger only makes things more exciting, is all. We might be blondes, but there's two of us in this. That means almost one complete brain according to brunettes' standards."


She slapped playfully at his shoulder. "Wow. That means we're almost smart. Lucky us! But seriously, Spike, it is kinda exciting, I won't deny that. But it's still a dangerous game we're playing at."


"Luv, if you're too worried and you want to end it..."


"No!—no, of course not. I don't think I could, to be honest. But we'll have to come up with some really great excuses though. I just don't want to lose my job if I don't absolutely have to."


"You won't. We'll just have to make sure we don't get caught. There are ways to communicate with each other, I'm sure."


"Like what?"


Spike tried to move and winced at the pressure it put on his already painful arms. "Pet, as much as I love holding you in my arms like this, if I don't move soon, you'll have to get Anya to amputate me from the lack of blood to my limbs."


"Oh! I'm sorry!" She sat up so he could take his arms from around her.


The young woman pouted in vexation. "I'm the freakin' warden. You'd think I'd have the master to your handcuffs in the top drawer of my desk."


Spike smiled at her, a mischievous glimmer in his eyes. "You sure you don't? This place is a sodden mess. Maybe you have the key somewhere underneath all that rubbish that clutters your desk."


"Hey! Is it my fault there's not enough money in the prison's budget to pay for me to have an assistant or a maid? Stupid budget." She crossed her arms over her chest and huffed in frustration.


"How about you use one of your devoted prisoners for the job? Free help. That would fit in your budget. I know this guy, British, sexy, efficient and discreet, who'd be more than willing to help."


"Do you think he'd work shirtless?"


"I'm sure it could be arranged."


"Yum! That's tempting. But no thanks. My secretary would be in my office all the time."


Spike frowned, waiting for her explanation.


"What? I've seen the way she was checking out your butt when you walked in!"


He grinned, amused at seeing Buffy's irrational side. "Jealous, pet?"


"Uh huh. No way."


"I think," He said, punctuating every word with a light brush of his lips on hers. "you might be... just a little bit."


"Whatever you say, bleachboy. So, did you think of a way for us to keep in touch without anybody noticing? You seemed very confident that we could earlier."


Spike sat up and got more serious. After thinking for a few seconds, his face lit up. "You know how we're allowed to access the internet a few hours a day? I know a couple of guys who use that time to chat with birds or send emails. You could create yourself an address that can't be traced back to you and we could email each other sometimes."


This time, Buffy's smile did reach her eyes. "Yes, of course! How could I not think of that! Ok, so, that's one thing. What other contact can you have with the outside world that can't be traced to me. I mean, you do have your fifteen minutes call a day but... Wait. What if I get someone I know and trust to get me a cell phone in their name? This way, if someone ever tried to investigate, my name wouldn't come up. Not that I think anyone would ever investigate, but better be safe than sorry."


This time, it was Spike's turn to give her a genuine smile. "Brilliant, luv. See? I told you that two blondes are worth a brunette!.. or a red head. I'm sure we'll find other ideas."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Harmony's shrill laughter echoed loudly throughout the small employees' cafeteria. Faith rolled her eyes and took a vicious bite out of her sandwich, trying to block out the annoying sound. It was harder than it seemed considering the airhead was sitting only two seats away at the same table. Anya sat stiffly in front of the secretary, alterning between picking at her tuna salad without conviction, and throwing desperate glances toward the door. Either she was planning an escape, or she was waiting for Rups to come and rescue her.


Faith smiled at the thought, her lips stretching around the straw. She slurped noisily at her diet coke and Harmony shot her a dirty look. Feeling silly, the brunette took a huge bite of her sandwich and staring intently at Harmony, she chewed with her mouth open, then belched loudly. The blonde woman snorted in disgust and turned her attention back to Anya.


After another couple of minutes of Harm's insipid chatter, Anya sighed and interrupted her. "Why are you taking your lunch break at 11? Don't you usually take it at noon? Why are you here?"


Harmony leaned toward Anya in a conspirational way, as if she was about the share top secret information.


"Lets just say that... Ms. Summers needed me out of the office."


Anya didn't like Harmony and never bothered hiding her dislike, but she was a curious woman.


"What do you mean? Oh my God. Do you think she's pulling a Wilkins and she's gonna run off with the money? Because that's just wrong. Money is important. The prison needs money so they can pay me. I have investments you know. I need my pay check!"


"No no, I don't think she'd do that."


"Then, why would she want you out of the office?"


Harmony pretended to hesitate, looking around suspiciously. Seeing that Faith seemed engrossed in her magazine, she finally started talking again. "I really shouldn't tell you that. Ok. Maybe I will. But you must promise to keep this to yourself. I don't want to lose my job."


"Sure. I promise."


"Cross your heart and hope to die?"


Anya rolled her eyes at how childish the other woman could be, but nodded anyway. "Sure, whatever. Now spill."


"Ms. Summers told me I could take a two hours break because she was meeting up privately with prisoner 106643."


At the nurse's blank expression, Harmony rolled her eyes. "Duh! Rayne. You know, Spike? Only the hottest prisoner this prison has ever had?"


"You learn the prisoners' ID by heart? Don't you have a life?"


"Well, it's Spike, not just any prisoner. And that's not the point! She's with him... Alone."


"So?"


"She covered by saying that Willow wanted her to take over his case, but come on! Who would be dumb enough to believe that? This guy is so sexy he would melt an iceberg. And why would she want me to leave the office? I think she was afraid I might interrupt somet..."


Suddenly, Harmony felt herself being pulled off her chair by her arm and dragged out of the cafeteria. She yelped helplessly when Faith slammed her into a wall in the empty hallway.


Harmony jerked her head back in fear when the taller brunette got into her face. She hit her head but didn't dare make a sound, too terrified by the other woman who seemed enraged at the moment.


The guard wrapped her fingers around Harmony's throat, applying just enough pressure so that the blonde would take her threat seriously.


"Open your yap just one more time to trash talk against Ms. Summers, Barbie, and I'll make you swallow your teeth. Got it? If I hear ANY nasty rumors about her, I'll know who the source is and I'll come knocking at your door. And believe me, it won't be a social call. Do you understand what I'm saying or do I have to explain with examples?"


Harm nodded weakly.


"What was that? I didn't hear you."


"Y-yes. I understand." Harmony croaked.


Faith let go of her and the shorter woman rubbed at her sore neck. "You hurt me you big freak!"


"That'll teach you to think before you open that big trap of yours."


Harmony hesitated, obviously wanting to say something. She opened her mouth and closed it a couple of times before finally finding the courage to make a sound.


"Why are you defending Ms. Summers? Not that she needs to be defended because I really wasn't bad mouthing her or anything.. Just keeping a colleague up to date on what's going on in the office."


"Yeah? Well you should know that this kind of gossips can be really fucking hurtful to a girl's career. Next thing you know, the wrong people hear about it and B's taken away from her position as head honcho of Sunnydale's most popular hang out and we're back to square one. They send another power hungry loser to take over and we're left to deal with the consequences."


"Don't you miss Wilkins? Not that I do," she urgently amended, "but... I would have assumed that you, of all people, would have been more hostile to Buffy."


Faith's demeanor changed in a matter of seconds. She chuckled humorlessly and turned her back to Harmony in a protective manner.


"You'd think that, wouldn't you?"


"Well, yeah..."


"You're right. I miss him sometimes. I miss being the almighty Faith that everybody's afraid of and all that shit." She paused and took a deep breath. "And I'm glad as hell that he's gone."


"You are?!" Harmony gasped, incredulous. "Ok, you lost me there."


"Yeah, I am. I didn't like the side of me he brought out. I didn't like the way he made the dark side seem so appealing. Sure, he treated me like a daughter. To a gal like me who grew up without a real family, that was the shit. It felt so good. But towards the end, I finally realized that a father who loves his daughter wouldn't ask her to do the things The Boss asked me to do..."


"So you denounced him, right? That was you, right?"


Faith laughed heartily. "Wouldn't you love to know? Listen, Barbie, I wouldn't trust you with a secret if my life depended on it, so you'll just have to keep wondering. About B... She's a great boss. Some of the guys haven't realize it yet because they're retarded idiots and they're too fucking thick to pay attention, but she's great. And for some really fucked up reason that I haven't figured out yet, the girl believes in me. She's the first person I've ever met who just gave me the benefit of the doubt like this, and I'll do anything to prove that she was right to trust me."


Harmony looked down. "I know. She really isn't so bad, I guess."


"Don't risk losing a boss like B by starting stupid rumors just to entertain the crowd of Ls and Gs. It's not worth it. And so what if she wants to reward herself for her hard work by spending an hour chatting up Mr. Sunnydale prison 2004? Personally, I don't have a problem with it. Besides, what's she gonna do during that hour other than flirting a bit and innocently batting her eyelashes at him?"


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Oh Spike!"


Buffy whimpered, overwhelmed by the sensation of his body pressed so closely against hers, his hands in her hair, his lips on her skin. They were fully clothed, and yet, it felt more intimate and fulfilling than having sex with some of the boyfriends she'd had in the past. He had slipped his arms back around her now that they were laying on their sides and was holding her as close as physically possible.


When the phone rang, Buffy jumped and fell off the couch, pulling Spike along for the fall. They landed painfully on the floor in a tangle of limbs.


Spike took his arms from around her and Buffy rushed to answer the phone with a sigh of disappointment.


"Buffy Summers."


"Buffy, it's Giles. Are you done with Spike? I was going for my break and I could take him back.."


"Actually, I was just about to call you. I think we're about done here. It didn't go all that well and I think there's nothing more I can do today."


"Don't give up. The bloke is stubborn as hell. Maybe it will go better next time you'll see him."


Buffy hid a triumphant smile with her hand and looked at Spike, eyes sparkling with amusement. "Yes, you're right. Maybe next time I'll see him, he'll be more cooperative. Who knows."


Spike grinned and gave her the thumbs up in a show of approval. He realized that she was subtly preparing Giles for a 'next time' so he wouldn't find it too odd. Smart girl.


"Good. I'll be at your office in a minute."


"Thanks." She hung up and for a moment, didn't move or say a word.


"Well—that was for sure the shortest hour in history." She gave him a quick smile before turning away from where he was sitting on the couch. "All right. Lets make ourselves presentable again. Giles will be here any second now."


Buffy took a small mirror and a brush out of her purse and after smoothing her hair down, pulled it back into a ponytail the way it was when Spike arrived earlier.


He watched her intently as she carefully reapplied her lipstick.


"You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, Buffy." He said softly.


The young woman blushed and looked down. Spike stood up. She walked up to him and busied herself by smoothing down the wrinkles on his shirt. "Thank you. Sorry I'm acting like a spaz. I don't hear things like that very often."


"You better bloody well get used to it, pet, cause I have a tendency to say everything that crosses my mind and when I think of you, the words beautiful, sexy, funny, amazing, tend to pop up."


"All right then. If it's compliment time, I gotta say... you're the hotest, sexiest, handsomest guy I've ever seen."


It was Spike's turn to blush. Buffy laughed at his reaction just as there was a knock on the door.


"Damn." She pouted. "I guess that's it for now."


"I'll miss you." He kissed her lightly, careful not to smudge her lipstick, then let her go to answer the door.


She watched as Giles took Spike away, closing the door behind him.


"I'll miss you too." She murmured to herself in the empty office.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meeting with the Devil by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 15: Meeting with the Devil



Buffy was awakened from her light and agitated sleep by something, or rather someone, bouncing on her bed. The mattress on which she was resting creaked loudly in protest, head board banging against the wall. She opened an eye and automatically regretted doing so. The harsh sunlight assaulted her vision, making her groan.


Giggles.


Where was she again?


As her foggy brain slowly came to, she finally remembered that she had spent the night at Cordy’s.


The blonde woman opened her eyes again and smiled weakly at her goddaughter.


“Wakey wakey, auntie Buffy! Mommy made burned French toasts!”


Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at this, and finally fully awake, she grabbed the little girl around the waist and tossed her on the bed before starting to tickle her.


“Not nice to make fun of your mom’s cooking talents, little devil.”


Camille laughed and wiggled trying to escape Buffy’s torturous hands, her dark eyes dancing with merriment. She let the little girl go and looked up when she heard someone clearing their throat. Xander was leaning against the door frame, a steaming cup of coffee in his hand.


“Morning, Buffster. I see that you got your wake up call.”


“Yes, thank you. Very efficient I must say.”


Xander chuckled. “Hey, you’re the one who said you needed to get up early. Don’t blame me. I figured sending the little one would get the job done.”


“All right, I’m up. I’ll go take a quick shower and I’ll meet you guys downstairs for breakfast.” She gently ruffled Camille’s chocolate curls. “Why don’t you go make sure your mommy doesn’t burn down the kitchen, kiddo? I’m sure she needs your help.”


The little girl squealed and ran out of the room, tiny bare feet slapping loudly on the hardwood floor.


Xander shook his head, grinning affectionately at his daughter’s antics. “She was so excited that you’d spend the night. She probably didn’t sleep all night in fear that she’d wake up and you’d be gone.”


“I know. I haven’t visited as much as I wanted to.” Buffy said while putting her robe on and retrieving clothes from her suitcase. “Work has been pretty intense for the past two months. It’s hard to explain to a four year old and I know she doesn’t understand why I’m not here everyday like I used to be. But things should calm down eventually and I’ll visit more often, I promise.”


“Don’t worry about that. We explained it to her and she’s fine. Doesn’t mean she doesn’t miss you, but she’s a bright little cookie, she understands.”


“Yeah, she is smart.” Buffy frowned. “Wonder where she got that from..?”


“Hey!” Xander exclaimed, acting all offended. “I’ll have you know that I’m much smarter than my construction worker’s muscles, and rugged looks, would lead you to believe.” He pouted. “There I was, bearing presents, and what do you do? You insult me.”


He pulled out a little Blackberry from his jeans pocket and pretended to walk away.


Buffy laughed. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Please don’t go. I’ll behave, I promise. You’re really smart, and nice and good looking.”


Xander gave her a cocky grin. “Ah! I knew you had a secret thing for me. If things don’t work out with Cordy, I’ll give you a call.”


Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yeah, right. You know you’d miss Cordelia’s cooking. I’m worst than she is.” She reached for the Blackberry he was still holding. “Gimme!”


He gave the hand held device to the excited young woman, looking curiously at her.


“You’re welcome, Buffster. Here’s the gift YOU asked ME to buy for you with YOUR money and put under MY name. What’s the deal with that anyway?”


She turned away from her friend’s curious eyes, looking at her new toy. Now, Spike could both email her, and call her. She was beyond happy.


“No questions, remember? I can’t explain. But thank you so much. You have no idea how happy that makes me. I promise to pay the bill on time.”


“All right then. I’ll keep my questions to myself. I have to go to work. Call me when you get home, ok?”


“I will. Thanks again, Xand. That was really important to me.” She kissed him on the cheek. “Bye.”


“Bye Buff. And don’t worry, if Cordelia’s French toast are too much for your delicate stomach, there’s always jelly doughnuts in the fridge.”


Buffy chuckled. “I’ll keep that in mind. Always good to have another option.”


Xander left, and Buffy went to the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for her meeting.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Stressed out after spending an hour fighting with the early morning L.A. traffic, Buffy finally found a parking spot not too far from the building. She was now standing in front of the skyscraper and could honestly say that she was impressed. The whole building belonged to the law firm. A large sign in front of the main entrance said: Wolfram&Hart.


She took a deep breath, trying to calm her shaky nerves and made sure her gray pencil skirt and matching suit jacket weren’t too wrinkled. Trying her best to look relaxed and confident, she walked into the lobby and looked around for the elevator.


An authoritative voice stopped her. “Miss. May I help you?”


She turned around. The security guard had stood up behind his post, ready to stop her if she dared going any further. He looked intently at her.


**Wow. I guess you can’t just walk in this building without an invitation. What does he think I look like? A terrorist?**


She smiled nonetheless, intimidated by the large man.


“I’m here to see Ms. Morgan. She’s expecting me.”


The guard took a clip board from his desk. “Your name, please.”


“Buffy Summers.”


She waited as he looked for her name on the list, fidgeting nervously with the hem of her suit jacket.


He finally looked up, his previously severe expression replaced by a polite smile. “Take the elevator to the 15th floor and turn on your left. Have a good day, miss.”


“Huh.. Thank you.”


The elevator rode smoothly to the 15th floor in record time. Buffy was a little thrown when two doors opened, unsure which way to exit. The receptionist came to her aid.


“This way, Ms. Summers.”


Buffy’s eyebrows shot up in surprised at the receptionist knowledge of her name, but soon realized that the security guard probably called up to announce her.


**impressive** She thought, feeling more and more intimidated by the second. She scolded herself. **Geez, Buff. You run a prison and yet, you let mere lawyers intimidate you? What’s up with that?**


Buffy gave the woman a dazzling smile. “Hi. I’m here to see…”


“Lilah Morgan.” The receptionist interrupted her. “She’s expecting you.”


As she said that, another woman walked straight to Buffy, her hand extended in greeting. Buffy accepted her handshake graciously. Everything about this woman screamed “lawyer”. From her perfect chestnut hair to her outrageously expensive looking Manolo shoes, not to mention the exaggerate tooth paste commercial smile.


“Ms. Summers. So nice to meet you. I’m Lilah Morgan. I’ve been looking through the case you faxed me this week. Let’s go to my office.”


Buffy nodded and followed her into what Lilah had called “her office”. A family of six could live very comfortably in there! It put her own office at the prison to shame.


“Have a seat, please. May I offer you something to drink? It‘s a little early for a scotch, though some people say that it‘s always noon somewhere in the world, but I do have tea and coffee if you‘d prefer.”


Buffy smiled politely at the lawyer’s sad attempt at humor and agreed to a coffee. She waited anxiously for Lilah to finally sit in front of her. She had sent the law firm Spike’s case a week ago after being told by many people that they were the absolute best in the world. Which wasn’t even a figure of speech since they had branches in Paris, London, Rome and Tokyo, to name only a few.


Now, she was nervous. It was her first attempt at doing something to help Spike and the dreamer in her was hoping for some kind of miracle. Sure, if they’d take the case, she’d have to work until the ripe age of 150 years old to pay the bill; they didn’t look like the type to do pro bono work, unfortunately. But it would be worth it.


Lilah sat behind her desk and took a file from the top of a pile.


Buffy was staring at the file in the woman’s hands, thinking about how ironic it was that such innocent looking papers could hold the fate of a man. His right to live or die.


The lawyer opened the folder in front of her and looked at it silently, as if she was trying to organize her thoughts. Her eyes were expressionless and it scared Buffy. She started twisting her hands nervously.


Finally, Lilah looked up at her. “How can I put this, Ms. Summers. I looked through the case again and again over the week. You do know I’ve made a career of taking on the most complicated cases and always won, right?”


Buffy nodded carefully, unsure if an answer was expected from her. Of course she knew. She had done her homework before contacting Lilah. She was the best.


“But most of the time, it is the simplest cases that are the most difficult.”


“But.. It’s still doable, right?”


Lilah closed the folder containing Spike’s case dramatically slowly to illustrate her point. Buffy’s heart sank in her chest.


“No.” She answered with finality. “I’m sorry. There is absolutely nothing I can do for your friend. Sure, he could waste his time asking for an appeal, but without evidence, or someone else coming forward admitting to the crime, that’s just what it is: a waste of time and money. This,” She shook the folder to illustrate her point, “is set in concrete. They have the motive, the weapon with his finger prints on it, the witnesses. He should just count himself lucky that the judge took into consideration the attenuating circumstances of a passion crime and temporary insanity that his original lawyer pleaded for, or he’d be in a high security prison right now, waiting for his turn on the chair. I really am sorry.”


Buffy wiped furiously at a tear that’d run down her cheek, angry with herself for showing weakness. “So. You’re telling me that his only chance is a confession from the real killer, or nothing. Is that it?”


Lilah frowned. “Well--yes. But that’s not very likely to happen. Lets face it; if you had killed someone and got away with it, would you be stupid enough to go to the police and confess?”


Buffy remained silent for a few moments, lost in her thoughts. She finally looked up, determination obvious in her eyes. “Does it have to be to the police? I mean, if the guy who did it admits it, and I get it on tape. Would that be enough of a proof of innocence for William to be freed?”


“An admission is an admission. They would probably examine the tape to make sure it’s genuine and… Yes it would be enough. Of course, it would be better if the guy does something incriminating. But Ms. Summers, I get that you really believe Mr. Rayne to be innocent and you want him to be let out of prison, but I still don’t see how you could ever get a murderer to incriminate himself AND get it on tape.”


“I’ll find a way.”


The lawyer gave her an indulgent smile and stood up. “I’m sincerely sorry I couldn’t help you any further. If you ever need legal advice, don’t hesitate to contact me.”


Buffy took Lilah’s offered hand and shook it.


**At $100 a minute, you can be sure I will** she thought somberly, but managed to smile anyway.


“Thanks for trying.”


Buffy walked away, trying to hold back her tears long enough to make it to her car.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I know I made you guys wait a long time for this update and I'm really sorry. Real life got in the way. I'll try to be a good girl and update more frequently from now on. If you want to be notified for futur updates, you can join my mailing list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TFTHFanficupdates/
Thanks for reviewing!
Sunshine, friends and food by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 16: Sunshine, friends and food



The tide is high but I’m holding on
I wanna be your number one
I’m not the kinda girl who gives up just like that
Oh oh, no



Buffy and Faith stood side by side next to the patio door with a similar look on their faces. Eyes wide, mouths slightly open. On the other side of the back yard, the blonde girl was dancing on her own, completely oblivious of the amused looks everybody was giving her. Harmony, dressed in a flashy pink bikini, a matching pink flower in her hair and darker fuchsia pareo wrapped around her hips, was doing her own version of a Hawaiian dance.


Dawn walked out of the house carrying a plate loaded with burgers and hotdogs to be cooked on the barbecue. She paused by the two women.


“It’s like watching a car crash, isn‘t it? Horrifying, yet, you can‘t look away.” She shook her head and walked away, ponytail swinging behind her, leaving the two women laughing.


Faith grinned. “I like the brat. She’s sassy.”


Buffy chuckled. “Yeah, she has quite a mouth on her.”


The brunette gave her a friendly slap on the shoulder. “I’ll go get myself a refill if you don’t mind. I think I’ll need to get plastered if I want to survive Harmony.”


Buffy watched as Faith walked to where Xander was taking care of the bar, hips swinging seductively in her outrageously short cut-off jeans and tight black cotton tank top. She knew it wouldn’t take long for Cordelia to come running, her territorial instincts kicking in. Should be fun to watch. Buffy smiled.


The heat wave was unusual for the end of November, and Buffy had decided to make the most of it by organizing an outdoor party at her place. So far, the day was a success. Ok. Not really if you considered that the goal of her barbecue was to help the employees who didn’t like her to warm up to her and the only ones who showed up were the ones who liked her already. But maybe it was better this way. It’s always better to be surrounded by your loved ones anyway. And those were all there gathered in her back yard.


Giles was cooking burgers and hotdogs on the grill while Anya was watching him, Dawn standing next to her and making a shocked face at something the nurse told her. Probably something horribly weird, knowing Anya. Cordelia was playing with Camille in the pool while chatting with Joyce, Buffy’s mom. Willow wasn’t there yet, but she had called saying she was on her way. She had to wait for Oz, who had a rehearsal with his band in the morning. Oz was bringing his band members with him and they’d be giving them a little private show later on. Buffy had warned her neighbors about the possible noise and invited them over if they wanted to come.


Everything was perfect. The weather, the company… She tried not to think about the fact that Spike would probably never enjoy a pool party ever again or she’d be too sad to have fun. She was still upset about her conversation with the lawyer a week ago. But these were bad thoughts and she was supposed to be happy and have fun today.


“Buffy!”


Buffy turned around to face the new arrival. Willow was coming towards her, holding the hand of a man with purple hair that could only be her husband, Oz. Trailing behind them were two other guys that she assumed were his band members.


“Willow! Hi!” She hugged the other woman.


“This is my husband, Daniel. But call him Oz.”


Oz shook her hand. “Daniel just doesn’t fit me.” He stated matter-of-factly. “Nice to meet you.”


Buffy smiled at him. He seemed like the quiet type, but there was a warmth behind his eyes that made her understand what Willow saw in him.


Willow introduced her to the two other guys, then the girls left so Willow could say hello to Xander, whom she hadn’t seen in years. After the initial shock, the hugs and squeals, they all sat to eat what Giles had cooked for them. Surprisingly enough, Cordelia and Willow, now older and more mature, seemed to be getting along quite well. Buffy had been worried about how they would interact together, but they sat next to each other and talked during the entire meal, Camille sitting in Willow’s lap.


Buffy was smiling happily, watching her friends, when her Blackberry warned her that she had a text message. She tried not to react, but it must have shown on her face because she noticed Dawn giving her a curious look.


Buffy tried to smile at her as casually as she could, but she felt herself blushing. Dawn gave her an eye roll before taking a huge bite of her burger.


She turned the device on to check her message, hiding it from view under the table.


[Bloody_poet: Hey pet. How’s the party going? Don‘t have too much fun without me. Sorry, just being a selfish git. Seriously though, I hope you‘re having a bloody great time with your mates. Eat an extra burger for me, would you? For some reason, I miss greasy American food lol]


Buffy smiled, forgetting for a moment there were people around her.


[Anne_pet: It’s great. Wish you were here. I’ll have another burger and a beer for you. I’ll probably throw up for eating too much junk, but I don’t mind suffering for you ;-)]


[Bloody_poet: lol Don’t make yourself sick, pet. Don’t want that on my conscience. Did a lot of people show up?]


[Anne_pet: Yes. The ones I expected to come did. But too bad none of the guards showed up except for Faith and Giles. Guess they caught on to my lame attempt at befriending them.]


[Bloody_poet: They’re fools. Anybody should be honored to have an opportunity to be your friend. Sod those wankers. At least, your real friends showed up, right?]


[Anne_pet: Yeah, they did.] Buffy looked around. Everybody was talking and laughing, and nobody was paying attention to what she was doing. [Babe? Do you have access to the phone right now?]


[Bloody_poet: Sure pet. If you give me five minutes to get there.]


[Anne_pet: All right. Call me, I‘ll be waiting.]


[Bloody_poet: Talk to you in a minute.]


Buffy turned the phone off and looked up. Xander was smiling at her.


“Glad to see my ‘gift’ gets you all happy and smiley”


Buffy blushed, sensing the interrogation coming. As if on cue, Cordelia frowned, looking at her husband. “What gift?”


“The phone. Buffy asked me to buy her the Blackberry and put it under my name for some reason…”


Everybody turned to the blonde girl, waiting for her to explain the story. Buffy chuckled nervously, trying not to look at Dawn. The girl knew full well why her sister had asked Xander to put the phone under his name and was now giving her sister an amused look. She was probably hoping she would be tripping over her own feet and was ready to enjoy the show. Evil.


Buffy’s blush deepened and she stammered some weird reason as of why she would ask someone to buy a phone for her. As the words came tumbling out of her lips, even her found her excuse ridiculous. But she didn’t stick around long enough to find out if they were buying it or not.


Standing up, she excused herself saying that she had a phone call to make and that she’d be back in a moment. She went inside so she could have some privacy. She knew it was stupid to talk to Spike on the phone when all her coworkers were in her backyard, especially after what had just happened, but she couldn’t help it. She needed to hear his voice.


She went down to the basement and sat on the floor behind the bar. She put the earphone in her ear and waited for his call. She didn’t have long to wait. A minute or so later, the phone rang. She answered.


“Hey you!”


“Hello pet. What are you doing all by yourself talking to me? Shouldn’t you be enjoying your party with your mates?”


She pouted even though he couldn’t see her. “I was. But then, I missed you. I needed to hear your voice.”


She could almost hear the smile in his voice. “Miss you too.”


“Sucks, you know. Everybody is here with their husband or boyfriend and they all think I’m their pathetic single friend. But I’m not. They just don’t know that.” She hesitated for a moment. “I’m not, right?”


He chuckled softly into the receiver. “As taken as a girl can be with an absentee boyfriend who happens to be in jail. But I can only imagine their faces if you’d tell them that.”


She tried to hide her giddiness at his use of the word ‘boyfriend’, taking a moment before answering. “Yeah. I’m not single and pathetic but my boyfriend couldn’t make it because he’s kinda busy in prison right now. That would go over well with them, I’m sure. Though, it could be kind of entertaining to see their reaction. If the party gets boring, I know what to do. Actually, I already kinda made it more interesting a minute ago…”


“What did you do?”


Buffy pouted even though he couldn’t see her. “It’s all Xander’s fault. Remind me to kick his ass when everybody else is gone.”


“Ok. What did Xander do then?” Spike had a fair idea of who Xander was since Buffy had talked about her friends during some of their chat sessions. She told him about Cordelia, Xander, Willow, Dawn and her mom. Finding out about Buffy‘s life outside of the prison was now his biggest passion beside Buffy herself. But it went hand in hand, so it was his biggest passion. She was.


“He mentioned buying the phone for me and putting the bill under his name. At the table. In front of EVERYBODY. And you know how well I lie, especially under pressure, right?”


“You blush bright red like a bloody virgin and start babbling. It’s adorable as hell.”


“Not so adorable when the moment is crucial and you need people to actually believe you.”


“Aw, come on, pet. Couldn’t be that bad. What did you say?”


“Not quite sure. I was so freaked out that I just said the first thing that popped into my mind. Something about already having a phone paid by the prison and always wanting a Blackberry but not wanting to pay for it. Xander doesn’t have a cell so I figured he could deduct it on his taxes as being work related.”


“Not bad. It’s almost believable.”


“I’m sure it would have been more believable if I had said it in a coherent manner and I hadn’t been bet red.”


“Did you give your guests some booze today?”


“Huh… Yeah, why?”


“Nah,” he casually dismissed. “They probably didn’t care, or if they did, they won’t remember tomorrow. Alcohol does have its up side.”


Buffy laughed. How could this man make all her worries go away so easily.


“I’ll have to go, luv. The guard is glaring at me. I think that means my fifteen minutes are over.”


“Damn it! Remind me to change the rule to an hour every day instead of fifteen lousy minutes. This sucks.”


“Come on, go back to your party before you’re faced with more embarrassing questions.”


“Yeah, I guess I should. I promise I‘ll try to find a way to see you this week.”


“You better! Every minute without you is a torture. At least I still have my wet dreams to keep me company. I wonder what it’s gonna be tonight? School teacher, flight attendant, mistress of pain…”


“You’re pig, Spike.” She said lightly, obviously not meaning it.


“What can I say, luv… I’ve always been bad.”


“Yeah right. Bad, perverse, poet of my dreams.”


“All right. The bloody tosser’s coming towards me and pulled out his big bad stick. I think he’s ready to hit me upside the head if I don’t hang up.”


“Ok then. I’ll see you soon.”


“Bye.”


Spike hung up, and Buffy sighed heavily.


She jumped out of her skin when she heard the voice coming from the door way. “Poet of my dreams? How lame is that?”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Spike placed the receiver back and took a deep breath to collect himself.


The annoying cackle of the security guard’s laughter snapped him out of his Buffy induced musing. He gritted his teeth, trying not to hit the man.


“Got yourself a little girlfriend, Spikey?” The guard sing-songed.


The man must have seen the danger written plainly across Spike’s face because he took a step back.


“Mind your own soddin’ business, mate. Now, bring me back to my cell before I lose my temper and use my teeth to rip your throat out.”


The guard’s eyes narrowed in warning. He slapped the handcuffs on Spike’s wrists and pushed him roughly towards the door.


“Watch your mouth if you don’t want trouble, Spike. You already don’t have too many friends in here.”


**I have the only friend that matters, wanker.** Spike thought, a smirk forming on his lips. **Your boss**


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“Dawn! Damn it, you scared me half to death.”


Buffy let out a relieved sigh when she realized it was only her sister. She remembered saying Spike’s name and someone like Giles, or anybody attending the party for that matter, except maybe Camille, would have known who she was talking to.


“God, Buffy. You really suck at keeping secrets. No wonder you ended up at the police station so often when you were younger. You just can’t do something bad without the whole world finding out about it.”


Buffy had the decency to look sheepish under Dawn’s scolding glare.


“I know. It was stupid.”


“Stupid?! All your coworkers are here! Anybody could have decided to come downstairs to play pool or something. You are so lucky it was me or you would have been busted, missy.”


Buffy didn’t answer, so Dawn went to sit next to her on the floor.


“So. Things are getting pretty serious with your hottie?”


“Yeah. I know it’s stupid, but it was kinda unavoidable. The spark between us was just too bright to ignore, even if we wanted to. Which we really don’t, no matter how risky the situation is.”


“Did you tell him yet?”


“Tell him what?”


“Duh! That you love him.”


“No, not yet. I’m not sure how he feels. He does seem to love me, and I do act like I love him, but you know me…”


“Yeah I do.” Dawn mimicked a whiney voice, making fun of her sister. “What if he doesn’t love me back? What if he makes fun of me? What if he runs away screaming? What if, what if, what if.”


“Don’t make fun of me, brat!”


“I’ll make fun of you if I feel like it, dumb blonde!”


They chuckled.


“I’ve never said the big ‘L’ word to a guy before, can you blame me for being a little scared?”


“No, I guess not. Have you… ya know.”


Buffy squealed and stuck her fingers in her ears. “Argh! Not talking about sex with my baby sister!”


“I’m 18, you doofus! I’m not even a virgin anymore. Stop being a baby and spill!”


Buffy pouted. “In my head, you’re still 12 and you’re still supposed to be having tea parties with your stuffed animals in the backyard. But to answer your question… No, we haven’t. Heavy making out sessions, but no sex. It kinda feels wrong, you know? When you finally meet the man that makes your heart do crazy flips, you dream of romance. Not a quick fuck on the couch in your office. Though if he keeps driving me crazy the way he has, it might happen soon enough.”


“I know what you mean. Sorry Buff. It really does suck. Have you tried anything to get him out of there yet? Anything that doesn’t involve kidnappings and crazy police chases all the way to the Mexican border?”


“I went to see a lawyer last weekend in L.A.”


Dawn got all excited. “And? What did they say? Was it good?”


Buffy shook her head. “No. It was bad. Really bad. As in ‘don’t waste your time’ kinda bad.”


“Oh. Sorry to hear that. They didn’t give you any hope at all?”


“Just said that unless I get a confession from the real killer, Spike better start decorating his cell cause he’ll live there for a long time.”


“Ok. Confession. That’s good… not. Do you even know who the real killer is?”


“Actually, I do. Now, don’t freak out, ok?”


Dawn gave her a perfect eye roll. “Whatever, Buff. You know I will. Go on.”


“Is name is Angel…”


“What kind of a gay name is that? Actually, no. That’s an insult to the gay community and I happen to have a few gay friends at school who would be horrified…”


“Do you mind? I’m telling you something here.”


“Sorry. You were saying?”


“His name is not Angel. It’s a NICKNAME you brain dead. Though how he got that nickname is beyond me but whatever. Him and his wife Darla are real low lifes. Trailer park trash kinda low. I saw the house where it all happened. I even followed them from a distance a couple of times over the past few weeks.”


“You did WHAT?!”


“I told you not to freak out.” Buffy warned her sister. “Anyway, I was really careful. I wasn’t surprised to find out that they hang out at that bar you mentioned should be burned down to the ground the other day.”


“The Fish Tank?”


“Yeah, that one. Real classy.”


“And Spike hung out with these people?”


“No. His girlfriend did. He just tagged along to please her. Which he now knows was a mistake.”


“The kinda mistake he’s gonna pay for the rest of his life.”


Buffy gave Dawn an cold smile. “Thank you so much for reminding me.”


Dawn looked away. “Insert foot in mouth.” The young girl mumbled.


Buffy’s glare soften. “What do you say we go back to the party before everybody comes looking for us? I can’t talk about this stuff anymore, it’s giving me a headache.”


The brunette perked up. “I know a good cure for that. Alcohol!”


“Another up side of Alcohol. You and Spike would get along quite well.”


Dawn gave her a curious look and Buffy just laughed.


“Never mind!”


“Let’s go then. I think the Dingoes are about to play. Should be fun.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I'd just like to thank everyone for you reviews. Believe me, it's not a waste of your time... It keeps me motivated to write more! So keep reviewing. And in case you didn't recognize the song at the beginning of the chapter, it's from Blondie, The tide is high
Unpleasant slumber by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Thank you so much for all the amazing reviews I got for this fic. I was so happy. Keep em coming!



CHAPTER 17: Unpleasant slumber



Dawn walked Giles to the door. He was the last one to leave after helping her and Buffy tidy up the house and the backyard. Anya was already waiting for him in his car. The nurse hadn’t been shy about expressing her desire to leave. But Dawn didn’t take offense. After only a day spent in the woman‘s company, she‘d already gotten used to her bluntness and didn‘t mind it.


“Thanks so much for helping, Giles. And sorry for Buffy’s lack of manners. Not her fault, she’s a light weight.” The youngest of the Summers’ women said, grinning.


Giles chuckled, glancing at his boss who was snoring lightly on the couch by the front door. She was curled up on her side, knees drawn to her chest protectively, and she was fast asleep.


“I don’t blame her. She had a tough day. Being the hostess can be quite demanding. Tell her I enjoyed my evening and I said goodbye.”


“I will.”


“It was really nice meeting you, Dawn. You’re just as lovely as your sister said you were.”


Dawn laughed. “You’re sure that’s what she said about me?”


“Maybe not in those words, but that’s how I interpreted it.” He chuckled, winking playfully at the girl.”


“Well you’re really nice too, Giles. And surprisingly not too stuffy for a British guy.”


He snorted. “I can see a definite similarity with your sister. But I’ll take it as a compliment.”


“I’m glad Buffy has you at the prison. Faith and Willow too. Her job would really suck if you guys were not there.”


“Yes. I’m afraid the rest of the staff gives her a hard time.”


“Look after her, ok? She might look tough, but she’s a big softy.”


Giles smiled at Buffy’s overprotective sibling. “I will, Dawnie. Good night.”


“Good night, Giles!”


She watched as his car pulled out of the drive way, then turned to her sleeping sister. She covered her with the afghan then went back to the kitchen to finish putting the dishes away, leaving Buffy alone in her dream world.


Buffy was tossing and turning restlessly on her bed. It was hot as hell and she wondered briefly what happened to the air conditioning. She pushed the covers back from her sweaty body, trying to get comfortable.


She felt very alone in the huge bed, despite the presence in the corner of the room. She couldn’t really focus, but she knew it was there. And it felt dark and evil. She knew she should be paying attention, should be trying to find out what, or who, it was, but it didn’t seem to matter. At least not at this moment. Right now, all she could think of was him. Spike. She needed him. Her entire body was craving him, her soul was calling to him.


She closed her eyes, trying to find some peace, but sleep was elusive; an unreachable goal. When she felt the bed shifting under someone’s weight, and a body hovering above hers, it felt like a soothing caress on her tensed nerves. She sighed in relief, knowing that everything would be all right. He was there. Spike.


“How did you get here?” She whispered to the man above her, her eyes still closed.


“Does it really matter?”


She finally looked at him, and couldn’t help the smile blooming on her lips. “No. I guess not. It’s just… I thought this would never happen.”


His hands on both sides of her head to support his weight, Spike lowered himself to nuzzle her soft cheek. “I thought so too. But either there’s a God up there looking out for us, or this is a dream. I like the first option better, personally.”


She ran her fingertips along his cheekbone, slowly down to his chin, admiring how beautiful he was in the moonlight. “I like the first option better too. If it’s a dream, I don’t want to know.”


He lowered his lips to hers, agonizingly slowly. His eyes were dark with desire, the blue almost black. She could easily get lost in his eyes, but there were things more urgent right now. Tasting his lips came to mind, undressing him being a close second.


Her hands moved on their own volition, finding the hem of his shirt while his lips were caressing hers. The weight of his body pressing her into the mattress was driving her wild with desire.


She had been waiting for this, had been wanting him to make love to her since the day they’d met. Waiting for the right moment had been torture, but it was finally happening and she didn’t want to delay anymore.


Lacking the patience to fumble with the buttons of his shirt, she pulled it over his head, revealing his perfect torso to her hungry gaze. He was so gorgeous that she could spend hours just looking at him without getting bored.


“God, Spike. Never in my life has someone had this effect on me. Want you so much, you have no idea.”


He knelt in order to get rid of his confining jeans. He took his time undoing his belt buckle and lowering his zipper. Buffy whimpered in protest, her patience wearing thin, but he merely smiled at her, one of those sexy smirks he was so good at. It made her blood boil in her veins. Once he was free of his jeans and completely naked, he took a moment to let his eyes travel over her naked body.


“You’re even more bloody perfect than I thought you could possibly be.”


Spike ghosted a finger over her flat stomach, her ribs, and circled one of her rosy nipples. “Buffy? I wanted so much to make this the perfect moment, but I don’t think I can wait, luv. Want you too bloody much.”


“It’s all right. I can’t wait either. Maybe you can take a rain check on the foreplay. I want you.”


She seemed fascinated by his erection, only taking her eyes off of it briefly to look at his face. The sight of her pink tongue darting out to moisten her lips shattered any self control Spike had. He lay back on top of her and she parted her legs for him, allowing his hips to rest between them.


Buffy couldn’t remember why she’d been so obsessed with waiting for the right moment and place. Any moment was amazing as long as Spike was there with her. She knew that now. In fact, she wasn’t even sure of where they were right now, couldn’t seem to remember. The place didn’t matter. What did matter was what Spike was doing to her with his hands and lips, making everything around them dim. All that was left, all she could see, was him.


She was vaguely aware of the presence with them in the room, but couldn’t bring herself to care. Somehow, Buffy knew she was in danger, but she wouldn’t hesitate to risk her life to be with him. To make sure he was free and safe in her arms.


She frowned at the strange thought. **He IS here, free and safe in my arms. Where the hell did that come from?**


She didn’t know how, wasn’t even sure if it was real, but it didn’t really matter right now. He was there with her. The prison was nothing but a bad memory that she eagerly pushed to the back of her subconscious.


“Spike,” She whimpered. “I thought you said no foreplay? Please… Need you. Now.”


He smiled against her neck. “Sorry, kitten. You just feel so good under my hands. I can’t stop touching you. Your skin… It’s like silk. Warm, vanilla scented silk. Can’t get enough of you.”


Spike shifted his hips until the head of his cock pressing against her swollen sex was entering her. He took his time, pushing agonizingly slowly inside of her. He wanted to enjoy the feel of her soothing warmth surrounding his aching erection.


With every inch of him filling her, her loneliness of the past couple of years receded; warmth replacing cold. She wasn’t empty anymore, he was with her.


He pushed all the way inside of her until his pelvis was pressed against hers. They stilled, trying to catch their breath and come to grip with the overwhelming pleasure they were giving each other.


They started moving as one, letting their bodies lead, letting their instincts tell them exactly what the other needed. Logical thoughts were banned from their minds and no coherent words passed their lips. But somehow, they understood the meaning of every single word, pant, groan and whimper.


Buffy saw the figure moving from where it was hiding in the shadow. She knew she should be scared, but she couldn’t bring herself to be. She should at least warn Spike, but when she opened her mouth to speak, the only thing that came out what a pleasure filled moan. So she forgot about it and concentrated on Spike’s hard cock moving in and out of her with an almost hypnotizing rhythm.


But it all came to a halt in the most brutal way possible.


It seemed to Buffy that everything happened at once. Realizing the figure was Darla, seeing the blade of the knife coming out of Spike’s chest when the other blonde woman standing behind him stabbed him in the back, feeling his blood dripping on her naked torso. Her eyes widened in absolute horror. But Spike just stared in shock at his blood slowly pooling on her stomach. He didn’t seem to be in any pain though.


Buffy was.


She could feel the bite of the knife as if she was the one who had been stabbed.



Buffy screamed.


Dawn rushed to her side, dishcloth still in her hands, eyes bulging out.


“My God! Are you ok?”


“Spike,” Buffy mumbled sleepily, still not completely awake. “He’s hurt. Oh God…”


“Buffy? Hello, earth to Buffy! It was a dream.”


“Huh?” She looked at Dawn as if she just noticed she was there. “Oh. Right.”


The blonde woman took a deep breath, trying to stop the shivering. “A dream, of course.”


“You’re lucky you didn’t wake up mom with your screaming.”


“Right. Mom.” She shook her head, trying to put some order in her thoughts. “Is everybody gone? What time is it?”


“Buff, you should go to bed. It’s really late. Try to rest. That Spike thing is really getting to you.”


Buffy got up and made her way to her bedroom. “Yeah… I guess it is.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


On the other side of town, Spike was sleeping too, his dream equally gruesome and disturbing.


William looked around himself, a little disoriented at first, but it didn‘t last. He recognized the place. In fact, he knew it very well since it was the mansion that had been witness to most of the main events of his childhood. The family house that he had shared with his mother and father near Brighton in his native England.


He frowned, taking in his surroundings. He was apparently in the room where his father, Ethan, entertained his guests. Mostly business partners and some old friends. Back in 1790, when the house had been built, this room had been reserved exclusively for the gentlemen and women were not allowed in it. Now in the 20th century, these rules didn’t apply anymore, but pretentious as he was, Ethan liked to maintain traditions. It made him feel somewhat higher in the ranks of society instead of the ‘nouveau riche’ that he really was. The only woman to ever come in this room was William’s mother, Cecily. He liked the room. It was at ground level and had a wonderful view of the garden, the windows going from floor to ceiling, velvet curtains on either side. The room was incredibly large, with leather couches and armchairs, and a wall entirely covered with books that neither Ethan nor Cecily had ever read. It was all for show. Everything in their lives was to try to impress.


William was sitting by the open window, looking outside. He had always felt oppressed in this house. At least when he was a child, he’d been able to escape every time he had a chance to go write his poems under his tree. But now, he was trapped in the house and knew that if he tried, he wouldn’t be able to leave. He had no idea why he was back in this house that he and his father had left behind so many years ago, but he didn’t like it. He felt like a prisoner in this place, a feeling he was quite used to by now.


He looked around. He knew he wasn’t alone in the room and wanted to see who it was. That’s when he spotted his mother sitting at the antic desk at the other end of the room. His father standing behind her had his arm around her waist and was nibbling on her neck. He knew it wasn’t them, mainly because instead of the brown curls of his mother, the woman’s hair was light blonde, and his father looked taller, his shoulders broader, hair darker. Darla and Angel. It was confusing, but to him, they were still Cecily and Ethan.


He knew his mother was probably going through the list of guests for one of her social gathering. Something she did quite often. Entertaining the elite of society was her main activity. Always trying to outdo herself in order to dazzle them. So the scene wasn’t unfamiliar to William. The only detail that was out of place was the gun sitting on the desk next to her, and the fact that he was trapped in the room. A chill ran up and down his spine, giving him a cold sweat.


A light knock on the frame of the open window made him jump. His eyes widened when he saw the young woman standing outside. Buffy.


“What the bloody hell are you doing here?” He whispered urgently. “It’s not safe!”


“I’m here for you, William. I want to help you get out of this place.”


“Buffy, you have to leave now. If they ever see you, know that you have anything to do with me, they’ll kill you.”


She gave him a comforting smile. “Don’t worry about me; I can take care of myself. I just can’t leave you in there all alone. I know what they did to you. I know they put you there…”


“Yeah, but if you get involved in my problems, you’ll end up dead. I’d rather stay here for the rest of my life and know that you’re safe, pet.”


Buffy frowned. “Don’t be ridiculous. I can’t just sit back and do nothing. I told you, it’s not my style. Now stop this and come with me before they hear us.”


“No!” He said, his voice a little louder now. “I want you to leave, now. Please. They did it once, they’ll do it again. I know it. Please go...”


He didn’t have to turn to know that they were standing behind him.


“Well, well, well, what do we have here? Our boy has a new lady friend, Ethan. Isn’t she darling?”


William turned and looked up at his mother who was wearing Darla’s emotionless face.


“Indeed, my love. She is quite pretty. She’ll be even more fun than Drusilla, don’t you think.”


William turned panicked eyes to Buffy who had already taken a step back.


“Run!”


She tried to get away, but Darla got her before she could go very far, the shot echoing in William’s ears. He watched helplessly as her body fell to the ground.


Spike screamed.


One of the guards stopped in front of his cell. “Hey! Quiet in there. You’re gonna wake everybody.”


Spike listen at the guard’s foot steps as he walked away, trying to calm his racing heart. Just a dream. It was just a dream…


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I come in peace by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 18: I come in peace



A very grouchy Buffy looked up from her fifth cup of coffee as her sister walked into the kitchen to make herself breakfast. She lowered her eyes, hoping to avoid a conversation with the ever perky Dawn. She didn’t want to talk about last night, explain why she’d waken up screaming, or why she’d been up since six in the morning and presently looked like something the cat dragged in. Besides, it’s not like that nightmare was a premonition or anything. Just her subconscious playing tricks with her and reminding her that she was a little scared about what was going to happen when she really got involved in Spike’s problems. Talking about it with Dawn would only freak the girl out and was unnecessary. But she knew the questions were coming. She could tell by the way her sister was looking intently at her while emptying half a cereal box into her bowl.


Dawn came to sit in front of her, and started munching noisily on her cereal. After she stuffed the third spoonful of Captain Crunch in her mouth, she tried breaking the heavy silence.


“So… Slept well?”


“Like a baby.” Buffy mumbled, hoping Dawn would drop the subject.


“Uh huh. If that’s what you look like after the recommended eight hours of rest, I so don’t want to see you after a short three hours night, plagued with nightmares and all that. Must be a scary sight.”


Buffy growled warningly at her sister, but Dawn wasn’t the type to give up easily.


“Wanna tell me what spooked you into screaming your head off last night?”


“Don’t remember.”


“Excuse me for not believing you, much. A nightmare about Spike? I think you wouldn’t forget so easily.”


“Dawn, can you drop it? It wasn’t about Spike, and I don’t remember it, ok?”


Dawn opened her mouth to protest, but stopped herself when Joyce walked in.


“Morning, girls.”


“Morning, mom.” They answered as one.


Joyce ruffled her younger daughter’s hair, and kissed Buffy on top of her head.


“Dawnie, you can’t seriously think this is a breakfast?” She looked at Dawn’s cereal boll disapprovingly. “Put that in the sink, I’ll make you girls a real breakfast.”


Dawn, who had been giving Buffy a funny look, shook her head. “Sorry mom. I have to go. But I’ll be back later this afternoon. I’ll buy pizza and we can all eat together before I go back to L.A.”


“Sounds good…” Joyce started to answer before being cut off by Buffy.


“Where are you going?”


Dawn shrugged, trying to look casual. “I have a couple of things to do. People to see.”


“People to see? You don’t know anybody in Sunnydale!”


“Sure I do! I met people at the Bronze last time I was here and we kept in touch. It’s not because you’ve been living here for three months and haven’t met anybody yet that we’re all social rejects like you.”


“Dawn, honey, leave your sister alone. She looks like she didn’t get much rest last night.” She said, giving her daughter an amused smile while pouring some more coffee in her cup.


Buffy rolled her eyes, but smiled back at her mom nonetheless.


“All right!” Dawn exclaimed while getting up. “I’m off. I’ll see you guys later.”


They watched her leave, then Buffy spoke up. “Mom? I wouldn’t say no to some pancakes, if your offer’s still good.”


A warm smile illuminated Joyce’s face, and she got up to do her favorite thing in the world: taking care of her daughter.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


“I need a piece of ID miss.”


Dawn handed the man her driver’s license, biting her lower lip nervously.


“What it the name of the person you wish to visit?”


She almost panicked. **Oh God, oh God! She told me his last name. Hold on. … It had something to do with weather. Sunshine? Cloud? Snow? Damn it! Oh… Rain?**


“Rain? William Rain.”


The guard looked at her with surprise and she almost passed out thinking she had the wrong name.


“Well that’s a first. Except for that one guy who comes to visit him once in a while, that guy doesn’t get many visitors.”


Dawn gave him her sweetest, most adorable smile. “I’m family. I just came back from Paris and didn’t even know something had happen to him. Can I... Can I go see him now?”


“Sure. You just have to give me everything you have on you, including cell phone, change, belt, and if you have a present for the prisoner, I have to inspect it. Then you’re free to go.”


Dawn gave her cell phone to the guard and took off her belt. “Is it like, behind a glass and I have to talk on the phone or something?”


He laughed. “No sweetheart. This is a very small prison and it allows us more control over personal visits. You'll be in a room where you can sit at a table with him. You have nothing to worry about though. The room is small, only allowing a few visits at a time, and there are two guards there at all times. We never had any problems.”


“Oh. Ok.”


He ushered her through the metal detector and another guard escorted her to the visiting room. She was told to sit at one of the table and that William would be there soon.


**Dawnie, you moron, you really did it this time. Not only is Buffy going to kill you if she finds out, but she’ll probably make sure your death is slow and painful. Oh God. What did I do?** The young woman was trying her best to look calm and collected, but inside, she was a mess.


Then she saw two guards walking towards her, escorting… A platinum haired god who was looking at her with obvious curiosity. She instinctively knew he was the one and understood completely why Buffy had lost her mind.


She stood up.


**Man, this is awkward**


The guards waited until William was seated, then went to stand in a corner of the room. Beside another prisoner who was with a visitor and the two guards, they were now alone.


When Dawn didn’t say anything, William finally broke the weird silence that had settled over them.


“Not that I’m not grateful for the company, ducks, but… Who the bloody hell are you?”


Dawn grinned. “Bloody hell? That’s so British!”


He gave her a look.


“Oh. Right.” She extended her hand. “I’m Dawn. I’m a…”


“The Dawn? You mean…”


“She talked about me?” Dawn asked excitedly. “I thought you two would have better things to do than talk about me. Wow. I’m flattered, really.”


Despite the girl’s good mood, Spike’s face suddenly darkened. He frowned.


“Bugger! Didn’t they ask for your signature and your ID when you came in here? She will go bug shagging crazy when the guards ask her why her sister came here to see me!!”


“Relax. Bu... WE, don’t have the same last name. Different dads and all. My father got my mom pregnant and disappeared not long after I was born, leaving me with his name on my birth certificate and nothing else. So really, no one will find out. And I chose today to visit you because nobody I met at the party yesterday was working today. So no chance of bumping into someone I know. See? I thought of everything.”


Spike gave her a warm smile, his fears sated for the moment. “So pet, why are you here exactly?”


“Doing my sisterly duties. I usually get to meet my sister’s boyfriends for approval. But since you’re here, I couldn’t.”


“And what does someone do to get your approval?”


“Oh… I couldn’t tell you because so far, none of the losers who dated her got the Dawn Seal of Approval.”


“Oookay.” Spike drawled, peering at the girl from between his tick eyelashes. “You’re making me nervous now.”


“Hey! Don’t worry. You scored really high on most of the categories as soon as you walked in.” She said with her brightest smile. But she suddenly got more serious.


“Look…” She hesitated before continuing. “Ok, let’s call her Anne ‘cause it’s her middle name.”


Spike nodded, waiting for Dawn to finish what she was saying.


“What I meant to say is that you became very important in my sister’s life over the past three months. The thing is, Anne’s luck in love hasn’t been shining bright in the past. She has a bunch of pretty catastrophic experiences that I’m sure she’ll be happy to share with you someday. But that’s not the point. I love her more than anything in this world and when I see her going gaga over a guy--which by the way, never happened before--I can’t help but feeling a bit over protective. Makes sense?”


“Absolutely, pet. And I’m glad Bu... Anne has a sister like you looking out for her. But you have nothing to worry about because I guarantee that…”


“Do you love her?” Dawn interrupted, shocking him into silence.


When he was finally able to speak again, he looked a little spooked. “Ok, hold on a second. You seem very sweet, and if you’re anything like your sister, you’re probably an amazing woman. But I have a hard time saying my feelings out loud when I’m alone in a room so I don’t see why you’d think I’d just confess to you when we met about ten bloody minutes ago!”


“Oh come on Spike. Can I call you Spike? Anne said it was your nickname.”


“Sure thing, pigeon.”


“It’s easy. Let‘s play a little game that Anne taught me when she was in College. Chocolate, love or hate?”


He gave her a puzzled look, but answered anyway. “Love.”


“Beatles, love or hate?”


“Hate.”


She opened wide eyes. “Really?”


He merely lifted a disdainful brow.


“Alrighty then. What about Black Sabbath then, love or hate?”


“Love.” He smirked.


“George Bush, love or hate?”


“Hate.”


“My sister, love or hate?”


“Love.” He frowned. “Oh. That’s what you meant by simple, right?” He looked down, slightly embarrassed by how easy she got it out of him.


“Damn right that’s what I meant.” She answered with a triumphant smile.


“You’re a clever little chit aren’t you? But what was the point of knowing how I feel ‘bout her?”


“I’ll just sleep better at night. Seriously Spike. You look like a nice guy. But I was a little worried that you were just a jerk who was trying to play with her feeling to convince her to find a way for you to get out of here. I’m still not entirely convinced, but I think you’re honest enough. Or maybe you just have a way of charming Summers women. I’m not sure. But know that if you ever hurt Anne on purpose, all the security guards of the prison won’t be able to stop me from hurting you. Got it?”


He nodded and finally smiled. “Thanks.”


Dawn frown, not sure what he was talking about. “For what? Threatening you?”


Spike chuckled. “No, pigeon, for being a good sister to Anne. For taking time to come meet me, for giving me a chance instead of spending all your waking hours trying to convince her that she’s lost her marbles and should stop seeing me. Thanks.”


She got up to leave and gave him a hug. “You’re welcome, Spike. I’ll try to come back to see you once in a while so you don’t feel too lonely in this nasty place.”


“I appreciate the thought, bit. Believe me.”


She waved as the guards took him away, then left. Buffy was going to rip her head off for coming here, but at least now, she knew why her sister was so smitten with this man.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


They were sitting on the couch in the basement; Buffy wrapped in a blanket, her mother sitting next to her.


“I have something to ask you… I know I shouldn’t talk about this because my friend made me promise, but I have to have your opinion. I’ve always turned to you for advice before and it’s hard keeping this to myself.”


“What is it, Buffy?” He mom asked, worry obvious in her voice. “Is there something wrong?”


“No. Not wrong. Or at least, not catastrophically wrong. Just not quite right.” She took a deep breath, not sure how to broach the subject without giving everything away. “I have this friend who fell for this guy. He’s perfect and it was love at first sight. You know… Kinda like in the movies? Anyway. He likes her too, or at least, she’s pretty sure he does. The problem is they can’t be together for a reason I can’t really tell you. Well, in theory, they could be together, but to get there, she’s gonna have to put everything she’s ever worked for in the balance. Risk losing everything. She’s never been in love before so she’s tempted to. But she doesn’t know if it’s worth it.”


Her mother‘s facial expression suddenly changed, a all knowing smile brightening her face as she found the truth behind her daughter’s words. “Buffy Anne Summers! Are you telling me you’re in love?!”


Buffy blushed bright red under her mother’s inquisitive stare, but she still tried to deny it. “Hey! I never said anything about me. I was talking about this friend of mine. You know? It’s a woman I know. From work…”


Joyce shook her head. “Honey, I’m sorry but you were always a lousy liar.”


Buffy pouted. “Damn it!”


“So,” Joyce asked excitedly. “Who is this man who captured my rebel daughter’s heart so I can hug him and thank him? Tell me everything.”


“I’m so sorry, mom. I can’t. It’s very complicated and I can’t talk to anyone about it. The more people know, the more risky it will get.”


“Is he… married?”


Buffy couldn’t help but laugh at this. “God no. Actually, that would be like a walk in the park compared to what’s really going on. Really mom, don’t ask me too many questions I can’t answer. I hate keeping secrets from you. Hell, that’s all I’ve been doing lately. I can’t talk to anyone. My friends, my family, my coworkers…”


“Does Dawn know?”


She was about to say yes, when she realized that her mother would most likely run to Dawn to discuss the new man in Buffy’s life and Dawn would probably spill everything she knew about Spike.


“No. She doesn’t. It’s better this way. God, I don’t know why I can’t just be happy and have a normal relationship with a man I love. Nothing is ever simple in my life.”


“I know sweetheart. But things will get better for you, I’m sure of it. Things will come together and someday, you’ll look back and laugh at all the drama. I don’t know what’s keeping you away from this man, but I’m sure you’ll find a way around it.”


“I just hope I’ll manage to do it without losing everything in the process.” At her mother’s worried frown, Buffy tried to smile. “Sorry, didn’t mean to worry you. I’m just overly dramatic today. It’ll pass.”


After a moment of silence, Buffy finally ask the question that was bothering her most.


“Mom, would you risk losing everything for the man you love?”


“… I did, honey. You’re father. I left everything behind for him. I loved him so much and your grandfather didn’t. Of course, now I know that dad was right about Hank, but that’s not the point. Back then, he was my world and I would have followed him anywhere he wanted to go. That‘s why I ran away from home to marry him.”


“Do you regret it sometimes?”


“Honey, don't be silly!” Joyce exclaimed. She looked pointedly at her daughter and reached out to place a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. “If I wouldn’t have left with Hank, I wouldn’t have you today. You and Dawn are the best things in my life. I don’t regret a thing.”


Mother and daughter smiled at each other.


“Sure, I didn’t go to college and became a lawyer like I had planned, but I know now that it wasn’t the path I was supposed to follow and I don’t regret it. I was supposed to get married, have a beautiful daughter, get divorced, take art classes, open an art gallery, meet another man, have another beautiful daughter, and have said man leaving me like the big coward that he was.” She laughed. “I certainly didn’t choose the easy path, but I don’t regret a minute of it. Even the heartaches. It was all worth it because it lead me to the life I‘m leading today and I love it. Wouldn‘t have it any other way, believe me. The choices you make with your heart, even when they‘re scary, will take you where you‘re supposed to go in life.”


She sighed and took Buffy’s hand, squeezing it comfortingly.


“Buffy, you obviously won’t tell me more about this young man that stole your heart, but let me tell you one thing. If you really love him, don’t let things get in your way. You’ll regret it later. The Buffy I know would fight for what she wants.”


“Don’t worry, mom. It scares me, but I will fight for him.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I'm sure you're all wondering when the action will start (not just the hot monkey sex, I meant Buffy getting Spike out of there) Don't worry, it's coming. Of course, there will be a lot of up and downs in this story, I have tons of great ideas. I hope you trust me. You do, right? Keep reviewing to give me your opinion. I love you all. You guys are the best. I promise to update soon.
She did what?! by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I officially have the best beta ever. She took time out of her busy Christmas planning to edit this chapter and the two next one, just to make sure you'd get it on time for Christmas. Linne, you rock!


CHAPTER 19: She did what?!


“How many times in your life did you tell a woman you loved her?”

Gunn almost dropped the heavy barbell he was bench pressing and Spiked grabbed it just before it would crush his friend’s chest. The black man struggled to stabilize it, then pushed it up to place it back on it’s support.

“You trying to kill me?”

“What?” Spike asked defensively. “It’s a genuine question.”

It was a beautiful day and some of the work out equipment had been placed outside so the guys could enjoy a bit of sun. Charles wiped the sweat from his eyes and sat up.

“Are you trying to have a girly conversation with me, man? Can’t you see I’m trying to be all macho here, lifting weights and sweating?”

“I’m sorry mate, should have remembered that the only bleedin’ conversation acceptable when you’re working out is how many girls you’ve shagged in your life. My bad.” Spike glared at his friend. “What’s wrong with telling me how many chits were lucky enough to hear the bloody ‘L’ words coming from the great Charles Gunn?”

Gunn shrugged. “Well… My mom heard it a lot.”

Spike shook his head, ready to give up. “’m talking about love interests, you pounce. Not your mum!”

“Fine! Let me think.” He pretended to think about it real hard, counting on his fingers. “My little neighbor when I was five, then there was Laura in high school who I dated for a few years, then Fred and just before ending up here, Gwen. Man that chick was hot as hell, and wild too. So, that’s four I guess. You?”

Spike looked away, a bit embarrassed about his love life. “One.”

“Just one? I’m shocked. I always pegged you for being the ladies man.”

“Looks like you were wrong.”

“Was it the one who died? Drusilla?”

“That’s the one. It didn’t go quite well when I told her the first time. The chit laughed in my face. She ruffled my hair like she would have done to a puppy and told me I was sweet. Of course, the fact that we’d only been on one date before I declared my undying bloody love to her didn’t help. She changed her mind later and decided I was good enough for her, probably because she needed me. But let‘s just say that love declaration isn’t a memory I cherish. I was bloody humiliated. ”

Gunn couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “After the FIRST date?? You’re always in such a rush, Spikey boy!”

“Sod off! I can’t help how I feel. Though now I’ll always be a little hesitant before getting on my knees in front of a woman and starting to read her poetry.”

His friend snorted in derision. “This conversation is getting girlier and girlier by the minute, you know?”

Spike ignored him. He picked up a barbell and started doing bicep curls.

“It’s not like it matters anyway, Spike. Might be a hell of a long time before you get to do a love declaration again. Unless of course you have a secret crush on Andrew.”

At Spike’s hateful glare, Gunn put his hands up in surrender. “Hey man, not judging! If that’s your thing…”

“Would you shut your trap, you poofter? Might be your bloody fantasy for all I know.”

Gunn laughed. “Yeah, you wish. Sorry Spike but this luscious ass is exclusively for the enjoyment of the female part of the population. Besides, I’m out of your league man.”

“Good. Cause you’re not my type anyway.”

Spike went back to his bicep curls, a smirk on his face. He was going to do it. What’s the worst that could happen anyway?

**She could answer ‘thank you’, she could laugh, she could tell me that it’s been fun but it’s all it was, she could…** No, he wouldn’t chicken out now. Time to get over his fear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“She did WHAT??!?” Buffy screamed into the phone.

“So huh.. You didn’t know then?” Spike asked sheepishly, regretting bitterly ever opening his mouth.

“That little BRAT!! What is she? Brain dead? I CANNOT believe she went to the prison to see you! How could she do this? She could put me in so much trouble! Someone could have recognized her. How would she have explained that, huh? HOW? Did she even think for a second? I can’t believe I trusted her with our secret! I can’t believe..”

“Luv, calm down. Take a breath. It’s not that bad.”

“Not that bad?!” Buffy asked, incredulous. She stood up and started pacing the length of her bedroom.

“At least she made sure no one she knows was working today. And she said you two don’t have the same last name. I’m sure no one will check. They have better things to do than to run a background check on people who visit me. And to be honest with you--it was nice to have a visit. The only visits I ever get are from my friend Clem. It gets kind of lonely in here sometimes.”

Buffy sighed, her anger deflating.

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have freaked out like that. I’m just always worried that someone will find out about us. But still, she should have talked to me first. What did she want anyway?”

“Guess she just wanted a chance to meet her sister’s new boyfriend. Can’t blame the little bit. She cares about you.”

“I know she does. I just… I don’t know. It’s just weird. I would like it so much if you could meet my family, you know? Have a normal dinner with me, my mom and my sister, my mom playing the twenty questions game with you to make sure you‘re good enough for me. But instead, my little sister has to go to jail to meet you. Nothing is ever normal in my life.”

“I really liked her. She seems like a good kid. And smart too.”

Buffy chuckled. “Yeah, she really is. Stubborn as hell, but I love her. And if she managed to make your day a little better, then I love her even more.” She added softly. “I’ll try to see you tomorrow, ok?”

“I’d love that, pet. But if you can’t find a way, don’t worry about that. I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“If I don’t find a way, I’ll email you to let you know.”

“All right. Good night kitten.”

Buffy blushed at the term of endearment. “Good night, I’ll see you soon.”

She let herself fall back on her bed and took a deep breath to calm herself down. This could have been catastrophic, but it was done now and there were no need for her to freak out. And she could be honest with herself and admit that she was glad Dawn got to meet Spike.

The phone rang again. Her home phone this time. She sat up to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hi auntie Buffy!!”

Buffy smiled, happy to hear the voice of her goddaughter. “Hi sweetie! What are you doing up at this time? Aren’t good girls supposed to be in bed by now?”

“Yes, but I’m not good. I’m baaad!” The little girl giggled.

She could here Cordelia whispering something to her daughter on the other end of the line.

“What’s up, Cam? Is your mommy being a brat again? You want me to scold her or something?”

“No. She let me call you to invite you to our super duper Christmas…”

Buffy almost laughed out loud when she heard Cordelia helping Camille with the word.

“… extravaganza. We’re gonna have a huuuge party with presents. I asked Santa for a lot of things and I hope he’ll bring everything. It will be so fun!! You’ll come, right? You don’t have to work in your prison with the mean people?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world honey. Isn’t it three weeks from now though? It’s a little early for Christmas, don’t you think ? ”

“Pfff. Christmas is never soon enough! Do you think the nice woman with the red hair will come too?”

“Willow? Well… That depends on your mom, sweetheart. And also on if Willow already has a party planned or not. But if you mom wants, I’ll ask Willow if she wants to come.”

“Cool! I have to go. Mommy says I have to brush my teeth or they’ll fall out.”

“Good night, Cam.”

“Night aunt Buffy!”

She waited until Cordelia finished giving her night time instructions to her daughter before speaking. “Damn, Cor, who would have known that motherhood would be your thing? I still can’t believe it, even after four years of witnessing it.”

“What can I say? I’m full of surprises. I even surprise myself most of the time. Anyway, Camille was so excited to invite you she wouldn’t stop talking and I‘m not sure she made any sense. Did you get any of what she said?”

“Christmas eve. Party. Presents. Fun. Yep. I think I got it.”

“You, your mom and Dawn can sleep over if you want. But if you guys bring food, make sure Joyce makes it, not you. Don’t want any food poisoning at my party.”

“Excuse me? Says the girl who made Xander puck his guts out on their first date?”

“Is it my fault if the fish was bad? They sold it to me that way at the grocery! Besides, I’m having a catering service take care of the food for the party. I don’t want any law suits.”

Buffy laughed goodheartedly. “Oh yeah, did you hear who Camille asked me to invite?”

“Willow? Yeah, I heard. That’d be fun. If she wants to come, her and her husband are welcomed.”

“Really? You don’t mind?”

“Why would I? We’re not ten year olds anymore. And I can admit that I was kind of annoying back then so I really can’t blame her for hating me. But if she’s cool with me now, I’m glad.”

“Well, she looked like she enjoyed talking with you at the party, so I’m guessing she’s cool with you. I guess I’m just stuck with a vision of mini-Willow and mini-Cordelia throwing rocks at each other in my head. It’s hard to forget you know?”

“No. Willow was the one throwing rocks at me. I was too busy screaming that she would ruin my expensive dress and my daddy would kick her daddy’s ass.”

They chuckled happily at the childhood memory. “Yeah, good times. Cor, I really should go to bed. I’m working tomorrow. But I’ll call you this week, promise.”

“All right. Good night.”

“Night-night!” Buffy replied jokingly before hanging up.

Buffy put her pillow over her head. Christmas. It would be Christmas soon. She so didn’t want to think about this. She’d be in L.A. having fun surrounded by her loved ones, and Spike would be eating a pathetic excuse for a Christmas meal, then watch a lame Christmas movie, surrounded by people who didn’t give a damn about him. Life sucked. She’d have to think of a good present to give him to make him forget the Holidays from hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Courageous people say it... by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: You've been waiting long enough. This chapter is for Rana, who asked for it so nicely (though it was written before she asked lol), as well as all of you who have been patient. See? You have to have faith in me! I hope you enjoy. Thank you for the reviews.



CHAPTER 20: Courageous people say it, so let's be brave



The guard replacing Giles--who had called in sick this morning--pushed Spike into the warden’s office.

She had missed him so much. It’d been a week since she’d told him she was going to see him the next day. A week of not being able to find a way to see the man she loved. Spike was finally standing in front of her and she couldn’t wait to be alone with him.

“Here ya go, Ms. Summers.” The guard hesitated, unsure. “What would you like me to do? Should I stay here?”

Buffy stood up from behind her desk. “It’s all right, Luis. You can go back to work. I’ll just contact security when I’m done with him.”

It sounded innocent enough, but to Buffy who knew exactly what she meant by being “done with him”, it couldn’t have sounded more incriminating. It required a tremendous effort for her to remain cool and collected, and to prevent her face from changing color, but she thought she did a damn good job, all things considered. As long as she didn’t look at Spike, she’d be fine.

She watched as Luis turned around and exited the office. They waited until he closed the door before looking at each other.

Buffy had decided that today was the day. After her conversation with her mother, she knew she couldn’t be a coward anymore. He had to know how she felt and what her plans were. Little did she know that Spike had made the exact same decision.

Feeling nervous, Spike tried to break the silence. He looked around the office, pretending to be interested in the changes. “Changed the décor, pet? It looks fantastic. Much better than…”

She crushed her lips to his, preventing him from finishing his sentence. She applied pressure on his chest until he was forced to take a few steps back. When the back of his knees hit the couch, he sat down and watched as she made herself comfortable on his lap. She straddled him, one knee on each side of his lean hips, her ass pressing against his already growing erection. It would be hard to have a conversation with her when her body was so close. But surprisingly, she looked like she wanted to talk too.

Buffy put her fingers to his lips to prevent him from kissing her again.

“I have something to say, Spike.”

“Actually, I needed to talk to you too.”

“Oh. Why don’t you go first then?” Buffy asked, trying her best to look casual despite the sudden increase in her heartbeat.

“No, pet. You can go first.”

“It can wait. You go!”

But as it often happens, they both got tired of the “you go, no you go” game and opened their mouth to talk at the same time.

“I’m in love with you…” “Buffy, I love you…”

Buffy and Spike froze, looking at each other in shock. They burst out laughing when relief washed over them, calming their fears.

Buffy spoke first. “Really?”

He looked down, playing nervously with a button of her shirt. “Yeah. I do. But like the big nancy that I am, I was too bloody scared to tell you. I was afraid you’d think it’s too soon.”

“I was scared too, you know. For different reasons. I’ve never told a guy that I love him while actually meaning it. It was always like, you know, when I’d be on the phone with my boyfriend, he’d say I love you, and I’d say me too because it was expected. But just coming out and really saying it because I feel it; that was scary.”

He gave her the warmest, most loving smile she had ever seen, just before kissing her forehead lightly. “Say it again.” He kissed the tip of her nose. “Please.” He went to kiss her lips, but stopped, his lips so close that they were brushing against hers when she finally spoke the words.

“I love you, William.”

“I love you too, Buffy.”

In a flash, Buffy’s body was pressed against his again, her lips fused to his in a passionate kiss. Their tongues were exploring each other’s mouths as if it was the first time. Teasing, probing, caressing. They felt like they could never tire of it, refusing to break the contact to breathe, even for a second.

Her small body was moving above him and driving him wild with want. Spike let out a tortured moan and wrapped his arms around her to bring her even closer to him. The contact was too much, and yet, not enough. The harsh fabric of his prisoner’s uniform was rubbing against Spike’s over sensitive cock in a way that was sure to make him come fast.

They broke apart, panting and trying to catch their breath.

Spike rested his forehead on Buffy’s, his hands going to her hips to still her movements. “I’m sorry pet, but if you keep doing this, I’ll walk out of here with a wet spot on my uniform that will be hard to explain.”

She grinned mischievously. “Well, I guess I’ll just have to make sure not to spill anything on your pants.”

Spike’s eyes widened when she removed herself from where she was perched on his lap, and went to kneel between his legs.

Her hands wandered up and down his thighs, massaging the hard muscles. She lowered her head to nuzzle the hard bulge in his pants, and placed little kisses on it.

Spike inhaled sharply, realizing what she had in mind. “Buffy, pet, what are you…”

“Always wanted to know what you taste like.” She murmured against the fabric of his pants.

Her hands slid from where they were resting on his hips, to the front of his pants, nimble fingers working on the zipper until she succeeded at freeing his hard member. The sight of him made her mouth water in anticipation.

She looked into his eyes and licked the tip of his cock, enjoying the look of pure bliss on his handsome face. She took him in her hand and pumped him a few times, keeping the pressure light, and the strokes slow. She licked and suckled at the underside, then twirled her warm tongue around the head before taking him in inch by inch. Spike sighed and moaned in pleasure, his hips instinctively lifting up to get more of her.

She let him slip out of her mouth with a wet sound and gave him a saucy smirk. “Like that?”

Spike’s eyes widened. “Like? Are you bloody kidding? I love it, I love YOU. Don’t stop.”

She wrapped her lips back around his engorged penis and started sucking him with renewed enthusiasm.

Spike was taking deep breaths to calm himself, trying to hold back and not attract unwanted attention. It wouldn’t do to have his wildest fantasy come to life only to have it interrupted by the secretary walking in on them. This was the best thing that ever happened to him. The only thing even better than having Buffy’s lips around his cock, would be to be inside of her.

She pumped him with her hand while her mouth went lower to explore, deciding to pay some attention to his balls. She licked them and sucked them lightly into her mouth. Spike must have enjoyed the attention because he tensed in reaction and buried his bound hands into her soft hair to keep her there. Buffy indulged him by staying where she was, chuckling at his reaction.

Too soon, she could feel the muscles in Spike’s thigh tensing beneath her hand and his need to come made him whimper. The hand that was still stroking him slowed down. She didn‘t want him to come yet. She nibbled on his inner thigh, peppering kisses on his warm skin. Without a warning, she stood up, effectively shocking him out of his daze.

“What? Buffy…”

But before he had time to say anything else, she lifted her skirt around her hips and went back to her previous position in his lap. His eyebrows shot up in surprise when he realized she wasn’t wearing any panties.

“Naughty girl.” He whispered against her lips.

“Is--Is this ok, Spike? Do you want me? Tell me you do.” Buffy asked, suddenly feeling insecure.

He looked her in the eyes and she could see just how sincere he was. “I never in my life wanted anybody the way I want you Buffy.”

Taking his cock in her tiny hand, she rubbed her wet slit against the head a few times before sinking down on him.

She gasped loudly at the amazing feeling of him stretching her.

**should have done this sooner… What was I waiting for again?**

“Open your shirt, luv. I want to see you.”

She obeyed, unbuttoning her blouse with unsteady fingers, then opening the front clasp of her bra to expose herself to his hungry eyes. She put her hands on his shoulder to steady herself, then lifted her body up and sunk back down on him.

“Oh God, Spike. This is amazing. YOU, are amazing!”

He put his arms around her, careful not to get the handcuffs tangled in her hair, and pulled her close to him.

“You’re… God! You’re so bloody fantastic, luv--never felt anything like this--love you.”

“Love you too.”

They had been waiting too long for this. Both aroused beyond anything they had ever experienced, it didn’t take a lot to push them over the edge. Spike started lifting his hips off the couch to meet her every down trust, their speed increasing into a frenzy. She grounded down on him, rubbing her clit on his coarse hair, needing the release desperately.

Spike crushed his lips on hers to swallow her scream as she came. The clenching of her inner muscles drove him wild and with his hands on her narrow hips, he held her down as he emptied himself inside her body.

They closed their eyes and tried to catch their breath, coming down slowly from their orgasm. Spike was caressing her back in soothing circles.

“You are amazing, luv. You know that, right?”

“No, but I love to hear you say it.” She said, a shy smile stretching her now swollen lips.

Buffy busied herself by making him presentable again. She put his softening cock back into his pants, already missing the feeling of him but they didn’t have enough time for round two unfortunately. She took the time to lower her skirt over her thighs before finally looking back up at him.

“I’m so glad you came into my life, Spike. You have no idea.”

“Me too, pet. But…” He sighed. “Couldn’t I have met you a few years ago at a party in L.A., instead of now, in prison? We were living in the same city for bloody Christ sake! Don’t you feel like there’s someone up there laughing their bloody heads off at us?”

“I don’t know, Spike. Maybe it is fate that I came into your life at this time. Sure, it would have been better if we’d met before, but maybe we met now because I’m supposed to help you deal with life in prison. Or maybe even… help you get out of here.”

He looked at her like she’d grown a second head. “What the bleedin’ hell are you talking about? You can’t get me out. I have a life sentence. The key word in this being ‘life’. There’s nothing you can do for me.”

She disentangled herself from him and stood up. “Maybe there is.”

“Buffy. What are you getting at?”

She faced him. “Look, I don’t want to get your hopes up too much because if nothing ever comes out of this, it will hurt you. I mean, there’s really not much I can do. I even went to see a lawyer to find out what the options were, and there really isn’t a lot.”

“You went to see a lawyer? For me?”

She blushed and looked away. “Well… yeah. Why not? I needed to know.”

“Buffy, pet, look at me.” He waited until she turned her eyes to him before continuing. “Maybe I’m not the one who shouldn’t keep his hopes up. Personally, I know I’m here for life. But if you start thinking there’s a way of getting me out of here and it doesn’t work, you’re the one who’ll get hurt. So don’t.”

“She said--she said that the only hope for you was to get a confession out of the real murderer.”

Spike’s heart started beating faster. Flashes of the dream he’d had a few days ago flooding his brain with gruesome images. “And that WON’T happen because you’re not going anywhere near that wanker, hear me?”

It was his turn to stand up, too upset to stay seated any longer.

“I… I kinda already did.”

“You what?!”

“Now, don’t freak out, ok? It’s not like I went to knock on the door or anything. I just went to their house a couple of times, and followed them two or three times when they were going out. I was careful, they never saw me.”

“Are you out of your goddamn bloody fucking mind?! Do you have any idea what these people are capable of?”

Buffy frowned and took a step back. “I just…”

His attitude changed, he approached her quickly and took her face in his hands. He was white as a ghost, his face panic stricken. She understood his fear, but couldn’t let him win this one. The outcome was too important to both of them.

He could tell she was upset by his reaction so he soften his voice a bit. “Kitten, please, listen to me. It’s dangerous. If something happens to you, I’ll never forgive myself. Forget about all this, all right? I’d rather stay here for the rest of my life than know you’re risking your life for me.”

“What is it, Spike? You like it in here? We’ve made it cozy enough for you? Are you actually enjoying the powdered mashed potatoes with this gray stuff they call Salisbury steak? Sharing a cell the size of my walk-in closet with a deranged midget?..”

“So you met Snyder, huh?” He asked, unable to hide his amused grin.

She pouted. “Yeah. Unfortunately. And don’t change the subject.”

“Listen, Buffy. I’m sorry I reacted like this. I know you only want to help me. But Angel and Darla are dangerous and they won’t hesitate to harm you. As a matter of fact, they’ll bloody well enjoy it. Don’t get involved in this, ok? I don’t want anything to happen to you.”

She reluctantly nodded. She felt bad for lying to him, but someday, he’d thank her for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Joy to the bloody world by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Two chapters in one day? lol Don't get used to it, you know it's not like me. But you deserved a Christmas present for reviewing so faithfully. Thank God my muse agreed with me!


CHAPTER 21: Joy to the bloody world



There was a knock on the front door. It was so light that Buffy thought for a second she might have imagined it. She put her lipstick down on her dresser and went to check just in case.

She was late for the party already. She knew that even if she sped all the way to L.A., she still wouldn’t make it to Cordelia and Xander’s by 5 o’clock like she’d promised. But they were used to her being late so it wasn’t such a big deal. She’d be late, but she’d look damn good. She was really happy with the dress she picked for the occasion. A black, tight fitting halter dress with the skirt ending just above her knees. There was a sparkling broche decorating the plunging neckline. It was perfect; sexy, yet festive.

After taking the time to smooth her hair down and put on her heels, Buffy opened the door. There in front of her stood a chubby looking guy, shuffling his feet nervously. The only word Buffy would have used to describe him would be adorable. The guy, who must have been in his mid twenties, had a mop of tousled sandy blonde hair, little ears sticking out from his head, double chin, and warm brown eyes. He was clutching a small box wrapped clumsily in Christmas paper between his chubby hands.

“Hi. Can I help you?” Buffy had no idea who he was.

“Huh, maybe you can. Are you Buffy? I’m looking for Buffy Summers. My name is Clem.”

Buffy stared at him with a shocked expression. “Are you--William’s friend by any chance?”

Clem beamed at her. “Yes! How do you know?”

She chuckled. “Well, Clem, I can’t say that I know a lot of people with an original name like yours.”

He looked down shyly. “It’s short for Clement.”

Buffy extended her hand to him. “It’s very nice meeting you, Clement. Wanna come in for a minute?”

“I don’t know. I’m sure Spike doesn’t want me to bother you.”

“Don’t be silly! Come in. It’s Christmas. And it’s not every day I get to meet Spike’s friends.”

She walked to the kitchen followed closely by Clem.

“Want something to drink?”

He shook his head. “I‘m fine, thank you.”

She pointed at bowls full of holiday snacks on the breakfast bar.

“Something to eat then? As you can see, my sister and I had an early Christmas celebration, which explains the chips and dips and the Cheetos.”

“Yes, that’d be swell! Thanks.”

Buffy poured herself a glass of red wine and went to sit on a stool next to Clem. “So, what brings you here?”

“Here,” He said through a mouthful of Cheetos. “This is from Spike.”

He handed her the box he had been holding on to.

“It’s a Christmas gift.” He pointed out even thought the wrapping already gave that away.

Buffy’s jaw dropped and she just stared at the box in confusion. “How did he…”

“I bought it. But with his money.” He added quickly, too polite to take the credit for his friend’s gesture. “I’m taking care of his money for him. His father died two months after William was put into jail and he left him all his money. Which is surprising cause they really didn’t get along. The man had issues… God bless him.”

He took a chip and dipped it in the sour cream and chives dip before shoving it in his mouth.

“So you chose a gift for me?”

“Nah. Spike did. I went to visit him and brought a couple of magazines with me. He chose what he wanted for you and I just bought it. I hope you’ll like it. It’s real pretty, you’ll see.”

Buffy’s eyes filled up with tears at the thought that Spike would do that for her.

“Hey now, don’t cry! I don’t know what to do when ladies cry.”

“Sorry, Clem.” She tried putting a smile on her face. “It’s just that I can’t believe he got me a present. Not that I didn’t think he would want to, just didn’t think he’d find a way. Thanks for helping him.”

“No problem, Buffy. You seem really nice and you make my friend happy. Well, as happy as someone can be when he’s in jail… Aren’t you going to open it?”

“Huh, no. If you don’t mind, I’d rather wait until I’m with him.”

“Oh, that makes sense. I hope you’ll like it.”

She put the small box on the counter and took another sip of her wine, trying to calm her racing nerves. Suddenly, being late to Cordelia’s party didn’t seem so bad. She had a chance to talk to a friend of Spike and that made her happy.

“So, do you live in Sunnydale?”

“Nope. I live in L.A. That’s where Spike and I meet. We went to school together. We were really close. We had a lot of fun together. We’d play poker in my dorm room with a few other guys. William was a real swell guy. Still is. Too bad he met that evil woman who convinced him to drop out of school. I always knew she was trouble.”

“You mean, Drusilla?”

“Yeah. She was scary. Always said weird things. I couldn’t understand how a nice guy like Spike could put up with her, but I don’t judge him. I just wish he would have listened to me though. He wouldn’t be in prison right now if he had. It’s too bad.”

“Yeah…” Buffy answered quietly, lost in her thoughts. “It is too bad.”

“I tried to keep in touch when he moved to Sunnydale but Drusilla was keeping him busy so it was difficult. Plus, I had school. But when he called me to tell me what happened, I went to court to support him. They asked me for my testimony, but I’m afraid me telling people how William was such a good guy wasn’t enough to keep them from locking him away. I know he didn’t do it, you know?”

“Yes. I think anybody who really get to know him would never believe he killed this woman. But don’t beat yourself up. At least you had the guts to speak up for your friend. I’m sure that means a lot to him. And you’re the only one who visits him. I’m glad he has you.”

Clem turned bright red, the tip of his ears pink with embarrassment.

Buffy smiled warmly at him and stood up. “I’m sorry but it’s 5 o’clock already. I was supposed to be in L.A. at 5. My friend Cordelia will probably serve my guts for dinner because I’m so late.”

“Ok. Well, It’s was nice meeting you, Buffy. I’m glad Spike found a nice girl this time.”

She laughed good heartedly and hugged him.

“And I’m glad he has a nice friend like you. You can stop by any time you want.”

She waved as he walked away, then ran back inside the house to get her over night bag and the box full of presents she was bringing to L.A..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn was on a mission. There was a determination to her step as she walked through security, the bright red skirt of her festive dress floating around her legs. She was a splash of color in the gray world of the prison. The huge package she was holding in her arms had been unwrapped by the prison staff so they could check the contents, and wrapped again.

Her mission was simple enough. Visit Spike, give him his present, and make sure he’s not too depressed on this supposedly joyous day of the year. Then report to L.A. for Cordelia’s Christmas party.

Buffy had been worried about him. Not only was it his first Christmas in prison, but she hadn’t been able to see him for the past two weeks. She hated the idea that he’d spend Christmas all alone. So after scolding Dawn for visiting him three weeks ago, she asked her to do it again. According to Dawn, that wasn’t very logical. But then again, Buffy rarely was. So Buffy had made sure that no one who knew Dawn would be working the Christmas eve’s shift, and here she was. Bearing presents for the lonely convict.

Spike walked through the door with the guards, and Dawn automatically went to hug him.

“Merry Christmas, Spike!”

“Happy Christmas too you too, Little bit. What’s a lovely girl like you doing in a depressing place like this on Christmas eve?” He asked, sitting down at a table. “Shouldn’t you be in L.A. with big sis?”

“I’m playing Santa today.” She said pointing at the huge package on the table. “See? I even have the red dress.”

Spike chuckled. “Yeah, you look smashing, bit. Be careful, the guards are real bloody perverts here.”

Dawn blushed at the compliment but laughed when she realized one of the guards was looking her way. “Oh, I see what you mean.”

Spike turned in his chair and gave the guard a threatening look.

“Anne and I figured that it wouldn’t be such a great Christmas for you and we wanted to make it a little better. She was really depressed that she wouldn’t be able to see you. So we went shopping.” She pushed the package in Spike’s direction, sliding it across the table. “I think we went a little overboard.”

Spike’s smile disappeared as he stared at the package in front of him. He needed to gather all the self-control he had, not to start crying like a baby in front of the girl. But despite his best effort, his eyes shone with unshed tears.

“Spike?” Dawn said softly. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

He forced a smile before looking back at her. “No, Dawnie. I’m not upset. Just shocked. I thought nothing good would happen today. I guess I’m not used to people giving a damn about me, is all.”

“Come on! Open it!” Dawn clapped excitedly. “You’ll see, there’s a lot of smaller gifts, some stuff we thought you might need, and a couple of cool things too.

The package was a large basket, wrapped in shiny paper and tied at the top with a large bow. He opened it quickly, curious to see what they gotten him. This felt like Christmas. Not that he didn’t think Buffy could do something like this, but it honestly never crossed his mind that she would. She was so angry when Dawn visited him last time, that he never thought she’d send the girl to see him again. But he wasn’t going to complain.

The basket was filled with a lot of different things, going from magazines, to cartons of cigarettes, bottles of bleach, and chocolates. It also had more expensive presents like a silver pen with his name engraved on it, the most beautiful leather bound journal he had ever seen, a silver lighter with an inscription saying: Love, always, B. a first edition of Beaudelair’s poetry, and fun things like a Game boy with a few video games. Everything to entertain him.

Dawn leaned over the table and whispered: “Look under the cover of the journal, there’s a surprise. But make sure no one ever finds it, ok?”

He did as she told him and found two pictures. One of Buffy by herself, and one of Buffy, Dawn and a lady he assumed would be their mom. He quickly hid the pictures back so no one would see them.

“I don’t know what to say, luv. This is bloody amazing what you and Anne did for me. Thank you.”

Dawn felt bad for the man sitting in front of her. He seemed so upset and she didn’t know what to do to make it better.

“Are you gonna be all right?”

“I’m fine pet. I’m more than fine, believe me. Just a bit emotional because this means so much to me. But don’t worry, I’m not always such a blubbering poofter. I’m usually much more manly.”

Dawn grinned at him. That’s when the guards decided it had lasted long enough.

“Let’s go, Rayne. Enough Christmas joy for you today.”

Spike rolled his eyes, but knew better than to argue with the guards. He stood up and went to hug Dawn. “Tell your sister I love her and I wish her a happy Christmas, ok?”

“I will.”

“Have fun at your party, Nibblet.” He added while already being taken away.

“Thanks. Merry Christmas, Spike!” She answered, but he was already gone. Her heart broke for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing Buffy did when her sister walked into the Harris’ home, was to pull her aside. She led her to Cordelia and Xander’s bedroom and closed the door. The sisters sat on the bed, side by side.

“So, what happened? How was he? Did he like the presents? Did you have a hard time with the guards? They didn’t take anything away did they? Tell me.” Buffy asked without taking a breath.

“Whoa, hold on would you? One thing at a time. No, I didn’t have a problem going through security. They checked the package in case I was bringing him a nail file so he could cut the bars of his cell and escape, but when they didn’t find anything dangerous, they let me go.”

“How was he?” Buffy asked in a quiet voice, a little calmer now.

“Well. Spike was really happy to see me, that’s for sure.”

“But?” Buffy asked her sister, sensing it coming.

“But he was really upset. Ya know… First Christmas in jail and all. You could tell he wasn’t expecting to see anyone today.”

At Buffy’s stricken face, she quickly added: “But it was the good kind of upset! He was so happy about the presents. Especially the pictures I think. He got all teary eyed when he saw them. And the book, he really loved the book. He couldn’t believe you remembered it was his favorite growing up. He also thought he’d have hours and hours of fun with the Game boy. He said it was a ‘bloody brilliant idea’.”

This made Buffy smile.

“I knew he’d like that!”

“And he said he’d use the journal to start writing his book. Something about his life I think he said.”

“That’s really great.” Buffy said, trying to be happy. But her face crumbled and she burst into tears.

“Oh, Buffy! Don’t cry, you’ll ruin your make up and everybody will wonder why your eyes are red and puffy. Come on… He was happy. Doesn’t that make you happy?”

“Y..yes!” She hiccupped pathetically. “But I love him and he should be here!”

“I know, honey.” Dawn said, rubbing soothing circles on her sobbing sister’s back. “It’ll be ok, you’ll see.”

Neither of the two women noticed Cordelia slowly opening the walk-in closet’s door and stepping out of it with a pair of shoes in her hands.

Buffy finally looked up when she heard Dawn say: “Shit!” and saw her friend staring at her in silence.

She sat up and wiped the tears from her cheeks. “Cordelia…”

“Why didn’t you tell me, Buffy?”

“I didn’t want to get the speech. You know the one about how stupid I am?”

“You didn’t want to get ‘the speech’. Geez, sorry but it’s coming. It’s right there waiting to come out of my mouth.”

“I love him, Cordelia. I’m sorry if you think that makes me an idiot. I can’t help it.”

“Ok. Fine. Let’s say you do love him.” She said while coming to sit next to Buffy and Dawn. “Then what? You’ll marry a convict and you’ll see him once a month in the spouses visit trailer? Oh yeah… after you lose your job, of course. Seriously, Buffy. Isn’t the guy in prison for the rest of his fucking life?”

“I’m working on it.” Buffy answered grimly.

Cordelia chuckled humorlessly at her friend’s answer. “You’re… working on it?! Doing what?”

“You’re being a bitch, Cordy. You’re supposed to be my friend in case you forgot. This attitude you have right there? That’s why I didn’t tell you.”

“Buffy?” Cordelia took Buffy’s hands in hers, forcing the blonde woman to look at her. “I’m being a bitch BECAUSE I am your friend. I might not know all the details, but this sounds like a guaranteed broken heart to me. Now tell me, what is this thing you’re working on exactly? Maybe it’ll convince me that you haven’t completely lost your mind.”

Buffy knew that it would convince Cordelia of the exact opposite and that she would probably try to have her locked up in a mental institution after she told Cordy about her plan, but she said it anyway.

“The guy who committed the murder that William has been accused of lives in Sunnydale. His name is Liam MacAlister. Him and his wife Darla don’t even know I exist, or that I have anything to do with William. I’m planning on trying to get into their social circle. I was told the only way to prove that Spike is innocent is to get a confession, and I will get it. I’ll make them trust me, and then I’ll find a way to get what I want.”

Cordelia looked pale. “Oh God. My best friend has gone insane,” She stated quietly, shaking her head. “Buffy, if that crazy son of a bitch was really crazy enough to kill that girl like you said, that means he certainly won’t hesitate to do it again. Especially if it’s someone who threatens to reveal his secret and send him to jail. Buffy, I know I can be harsh with you sometimes, but I DO love you, blondie. I would hate for you to get yourself killed for some guy.”

“What would you do if Xander was rotting in jail by mistake, Cordy?”

Cordelia didn’t hesitating a second. “He’s not just some guy, he’s ‘the one’”

Buffy didn’t answer. She just looked at Cordelia without a word, her eyes filling up with tears.

“Sweet Jesus Buffy!”

“He’s innocent and I’ll prove it. Even if it kills me.”

“Yeah. That’s exactly what I’m afraid of.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not feeling so trust worthy by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 22: Not feeling so trust worthy


Buffy looked around before taking a sip of her beer straight from the bottle. They hadn’t even offered her a glass. Probably a good thing if she didn’t want to stick out like a sore thumb in that dive they called a bar. Her first thought had been to order a Cosmopolitan--her drink of choice--but the bartender at The Fish Tank probably didn’t even know what that was. And since the idea tonight was to blend in, she had looked around and ordered what everybody was drinking: beer.

She felt as out of place in the dark, rank bar as one can be, but she did her best to hide her discomfort. To the casual observer, the blonde girl in too tight faded jeans, black stiletto boots and simple black tank top was just another chick looking for a good time. But Buffy had a very specific reason for being there. She wanted a closer look at Angel and Darla. And since it seemed like this was the only place they ever frequented, her chances of seeing them there were pretty good.

Of course, Cordelia hadn’t been too thrilled to see her leaving so soon after Christmas, especially knowing that the reason behind Buffy’s early departure probably had something to do with Spike. But her friend had the decency to not say anything in front of Joyce. Buffy was grateful to her for this. Now, she was back in Sunnydale and ready to start her secret mission. She wouldn’t sit back and wait any longer. She had to act. Spike was not going to spend another Christmas in jail, ever. At least, not if she had something to say about it. She planned on becoming a familiar face at The Fish Tank. This way, the day she decided to finally approach Angel and Darla, it wouldn’t seem too odd. The last thing she needed was for them to put two and two together and find out that she’d been following them. If she was just another regular at the bar, they wouldn’t be asking questions.

Buffy’s head snapped up when the chair facing her was pulled. She let out a breath of relief when she saw that it was only Faith. She had to relax. She was so nervous that it probably showed on her face.

The brunette slumped on the chair and snickered. “Damn, B. You’re full of surprises, aren’t you? When you called me and asked if I wanted to meet you here, I thought you were making fun of me. This shit hole so doesn’t look like the kind of place where you’d hang out.”

Buffy smirked, before taking a swig of her beer. “And what IS my type of place, according to you?”

She had called Faith at the last minute to ask her to tag along. Buffy didn’t feel confident enough to go to the bar on her own. It was stupid, but she’d always gone to clubs and bars with friends in the past. She wasn’t one of those confident women who just sit behind the bar on their lonesome self, not giving a damn what anybody thinks of them. She thought it would be best if she’d take someone with her, at least for the first time. And Faith seemed like the best choice. Plus, Buffy enjoyed her company. The girl was a little rough around the edges, but fun. And she could teach her a thing or two about how to behave in such a place in order to get respect.

“Don’t know. Some posh place, filled with people that look nice, smell nice, and drink those fancy cocktails with a cherry and a straw. A place where folks whose annual income has at least six zeros go to socialize without having to deal with the scum. Somehow, I thought you were too classy for The Fish Tank.”

“Prejudice, Faith. I thought we were past that first impression?”

“Hey, I didn’t say you were stuck up. If you weren’t cool, I wouldn’t be hanging out with you. I’m not really a people person, in case you haven‘t noticed.”

Buffy laughed. “No kidding!”

“What I’m saying is, I think you’re too good for this place. That’s why I was surprised as hell when you called.”

“Believe it or not, I’m not the happy hour martini kinda girl. I’d much rather spend my evening here than sip on a cocktail and discuss philosophy with pretentious jerks. Here, the beer is good, the music is loud, and I don’t have to dress to impress. I can be myself.” She smiled warmly at the other woman. “There. Now, you know my little secret. Buffy Summers hangs out in dives.”

Faith gave her in incredulous look. “You’re too much, you know that?”

Buffy really hated lying to Faith. She was the first one who had befriended her and she could see that the brunette trusted her completely. But it wasn’t a big lie. She did avoid the more upscale bars in favor of more down to earth places. But she still would have never set foot in a place like this one if it wasn’t for her ulterior motive.

A big guy walked up to them and made a lewd comment, hoping to get lucky. Unfortunately for him, Faith’s sharp mind had a rude come back all ready for him, effectively breaking any kind of hope he might have had to get laid. But while Faith was busy rebuffing the jerk, Buffy spotted what she was looking for. The petite blonde woman she now referred to as Darla-the-whore, and the tall dark haired man, also known as Angel-the-murderer.

Something must have shown on her face, because Faith asked her if she was OK.

“You’re looking a bit pale there, B. Something wrong?”

She tried her best to smile at her. “Nah. I just thought I saw my ex. It’s not him though. Thank God.”

“Bad break up?”

“Yeah, I guess you can say that. He was a psycho.”

“I’ve dated my share of psychos, so I know how that feels. Why do you think I’m single? Hot chick like me flying solo, there’s gotta be a damn good reason, right?”

Buffy chuckled, trying to make it look like she was paying attention to what Faith was saying while still keeping her eyes on the couple across the room.

Darla was leaning against the jukebox while Angel was picking a song, and her high pitched laughter could be heard all the way to where Buffy and Faith were sitting. She was wearing a very short Catholic school girl skirt and a red t-shirt that showed too much cleavage, and her shoulder length, thin blonde hair was down.

**A grown woman dressing like a fifteen year old, how very pathetic** Buffy thought to herself.

“That bitch defines the word skanky. Did you see her? She should get her ass kicked just for wearing that.”

Buffy grinned. “Just what I was thinking.”

She winced at Angel’s choice of song, rolling her eyes when she recognized it. Other patrons gave annoyed looks to the man by the jukebox, but he didn‘t seem to notice.

Oh Mandy well,
You came and you gave without taking,
But I sent you away.
Oh, Mandy well,
You kissed me and stopped me from shaking,
And I need you today.
Oh, Mandy!

“Mandy?!” Faith exclaimed, outraged at the man’s bad taste. “Someone should knock that idiot unconscious for imposing this piece of crap on us.”

“Amen to that.” Buffy laughed, even thought she didn’t feel as amused as she let on. She couldn’t take her eyes off the happy couple. Angel was mouthing the words of the song to his wife. They didn’t have a care in the world. It just strengthened her resolve to take them down. It would be torture to pretend to be friendly with them, but she’d do it. She’d do whatever it took. She just had to wait for the right time.

“Buffy?”

Snapping out of her thoughts, she turned her attention to Faith who was now sitting side ways on her chair, her back against the wall and her legs stretched out in front of her. She was looking intently at her, obviously waiting for an answer to a question Buffy hadn’t heard.

“Sorry, what?”

“I said, do you want another drink?”

Buffy finally noticed the waiter standing next to their table, looking down Faith’s top unashamedly. The brunette didn’t seem to mind too much.

“Huh, yeah. Another drink would be great. Thanks.”

Faith was uncharacteristically silent for a moment. When she spoke, her good humor was gone.

“B, I just wanted to say thanks for being so nice to me even after what I’ve done. I thought you’d be more hesitant to hang out with me, you know?”

The confused look on Buffy’s face was genuine. “What are you talking about? What did you do?”

Faith opened her eyes wide, shocked that Buffy wouldn’t know. “You mean you don’t know? I’d thought that having big mouth Barbie working in your office, you’d be aware of all the gossip.”

“Well, Harmony and I don’t talk that much. What is it I should know?”

Faith seemed flustered. “I guess I should keep my trap shut if you don’t already know, but you’ve been a good friend since you started working at the prison and I want to come clean with you. I got the last warden fired. I’m the snitch who went to the authorities to report him.”

“And that’s bad? The guy was stealing money from the prison…”

**Guess it is bad in a way,** Buffy thought. **If she ever finds out I’m sleeping with one of the prisoners, she probably won’t be so friendly anymore…**

“Yeah, it is a good thing that I told. Nobody else had the guts to do it. But the reason why it’s bad is that Wilkins trusted me. He was my friend and my protector and I backstabbed him. That’s why I was worried that you wouldn’t trust me to be your friend. Let’s just say I don’t have the best of history with wardens.”

“Why do you say that? Is there something else?”

“I also dated the one before him.”

Buffy didn’t know what to say to this. “And… It didn’t end well? Wait. It wasn’t the one who..?”

“Offed himself?” Faith supplied helpfully. “Yes. Robin Woods. First man I’ve ever loved. Selfish bastard did it in my apartment. I had to move out after that, I just couldn’t sleep there anymore. The guy had issues, things he couldn’t deal with, including his mother being killed in front of him when he was a kid. He could never get over that. Unfortunately, people didn’t know all this and they started rumors saying that I pushed him over the edge. That’s when Wilkins arrived and took me under his wing.”

“Is that why you feel so guilty over reporting him?”

“Wouldn’t you?”

“I guess. But they guy was evil, Faith. I understand you feel like you owed him something, but at the same time, you’re not responsible for his actions. And knowing that won’t stop me from trusting you or being your friend. You did the right thing. People are quick to judge.”

“That, they are.” Faith finally managed to look Buffy in the eyes. “Thanks. Means a lot what you said. I promise to never let you down.”

“And I promise not to give you a reason to have to report me.” Buffy chuckled at the look on Faith’s face.

“Ha, ha. Lil’ Miss Muffet is a funny girl. Who would have known.”

**Yeah, I'm worthy of her trust alright.** Buffy thought sourly, trying to hide her sudden worries behind a smile **I already did give her a reason to report me. Let's just hope she never finds out.**

Buffy looked around the bar to try locating Angel and Darla, but with no luck. They were gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Caught in a tangle by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 23: Caught in a tangle


She was nervous. Very, nervous. When she’d asked Giles to go get Spike, he hadn’t said a word, he simply obeyed, but he did so with a frown on his face. Buffy knew he was probably starting to find the frequency at which she met with the prisoner suspicious. She knew she had to be more careful, but to be fair, she hadn’t thought Giles would be working. He wasn’t supposed to. But neither was she. She was supposed to be on holiday the entire week between Christmas and New Year, but hadn’t been able to resist seeing Spike. She still hadn’t opened his gift and she was dying to. She had missed him terribly the last weekend and needed to spend some time with him, even if it was just a few minutes. So she’d shown up at work, justifying her presence by saying she had some paperwork to attend to, even though Willow had kept things running smoothly in her absence.

She looked great. Something Giles hadn’t failed to notice. Too good for work, as he not too subtly mentioned. But she justified her cheerful outfit by saying she was going to a dinner right after and wouldn’t have time to change. He seemed to buy it. Her hair was down and fell in soft curls on her shoulders. She had on a light pink, off the shoulder sweater and a gray skirt with a black and pink lace trim that fell in soft waves around her knees. The look was completed by high heeled Mary Janes in a darker shade of gray. Girly, yet sexy. She looked amazing and it was all for Spike. She thought he needed some holiday cheer.

There was a knock and Buffy looked up from a file she was reading, just in time to see the door opening and Spike being led inside by Giles.

“Here he is, Buffy. I’ll be in my office if you need me.”

Before she could answer, Giles had left the office, closing the door behind him. Spike frowned.

“The bloke’s getting rude. The American culture must be rubbing off on him. Poor bastard.”

Buffy pouted, but it was obviously only for show. “We’re not all rude, you know. Besides, I don’t think you should laugh. I’m actually worried that he might suspect something is going on.”

Buffy stood up and went to lean against her desk. Spike gave her an appreciative look, obviously approving of the outfit she picked for him. He forgot for a minute what the conversation topic was all about.

Snapping out of his daze, he finally got his voice back. “What makes you think that, pet? He could just be in a bad mood. Not everybody loves the bleedin’ holidays.”

“I guess you’re right. I could just be really paranoid. But when I told him I needed to see you because Snyder complained to Willow that you were threatening him and he was scared for his safety--”

Spike smirked, clearly amused.

“--Giles just took his glasses off, cleaned them with his handkerchief, and he remained silent for the longest time, just giving me that look… I can’t really explain it. But when he cleans his glasses like that, it’s because there’s something on his mind.”

Spike tilted his head to the side to look at her. “Are we going to waste the little time we have together talking about good old Rupert, or do you think we could find something better to do? Cause if you’re out of ideas, I have a few of my own.”

Buffy smiled shyly at him and opened her arms in a welcoming gesture. He didn’t hesitate, coming to stand in front of her, enjoying the feel of her arms wrapped tightly around him, and her warm lips caressing his.

When she finally broke the kiss, it was to ask with a tiny, little girl’s voice: “Can I open my present now?”

With a mischievous glint in his blue eyes, Spike took a step back and reached for the buttons of his shirt. “Sure thing, pet.”

She laughed and swatted at his hands. “Not that one!” She reached behind her on the desk and took the little box wrapped in gold paper. “This ONE!”

“Bugger! And I thought I was gonna get lucky.” Spike joked. “C’mon pet, open it. You’ve been bloody patient enough already. You shouldn’t have waited. You could have opened it at home.”

“Nah, it wouldn’t have been the same. I wanted you to be there.”

She tore through the paper, and he could easily imagine what she might have looked like as a little girl, sitting by the tree, opening her presents on Christmas morning.

Buffy carefully opened the velvet box and stared in wonder at its content. “Oh my God, Spike… I mean… Oh my GOD! This is gorgeous!!”

Her eyes watered and she outlined the diamond and ruby encrusted heart shaped pendant with the tip of her fingers.

The shy and insecure poet hidden somewhere in Spike made a brief appearance as he looked down at his hands, unsure of himself.

“So you like it then? Cause if you don’t, it’s OK. I can ask Clem to take it back and you can choose something else.”

“Are you crazy? I absolutely love it. I’ll never take it off, I swear.”

“Well put it on, then.” He said, happy that she liked his gift.

She did as he asked, putting the pendant around her neck. The sweater she was wearing was perfect to showcase the sparkling jewel.

“You’re breathtaking, Buffy.” He whispered reverently against her lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too, baby.”

She hopped on her desk and they kissed passionately, pouring all their emotions into the act. Getting frustrated by his handcuffed hands, he broke the kiss to put his arms around her. His hands instinctively went to play with her silky golden tresses. He dragged his lips down her jaw, all the way to her throat, lavishing her warm skin with light kisses and nibbles.

Buffy sighed softly, partly from the pleasure, and partly from regret of what she had to say. “You can’t stay long, Spike. I’m sorry. But with Giles acting weird, I don’t want to take a risk.”

“I know, luv. It’s OK. I’m already more than happy that I got to see you today. I wasn’t expecting it. Bleedin’ good surprise though.”

“I’m glad you liked it. I couldn’t stand the thought of you being here all alone for the holidays. I know fifteen minutes two days after Christmas isn’t much, but it’s the best I could do. Maybe there will be a riot on New Year’s Eve and I’ll have to stop by…” Buffy frowned, realizing what she just said. “Damn, I really shouldn’t say stuff like that with my luck, or more like total lack of it.”

Spike chuckled. “Come on now, pet. You should call Giles.”

He lifted his arms to let her go, but froze when a huge chunk of her hair came with his handcuffs.

His brows furrowed in worry and he swallowed nervously, then tried again. This time, he got a loud “Ow!” from Buffy.

“Fucking buggering hell!”

“Spike?” Buffy asked, panicked. “What was that?”

“That,” he mumbled, still trying to free his hands from her tangled hair with minimal pain, “was my blasted handcuffs caught in your bloody hair.”

All blood drained from Buffy’s face.

“You’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding--Please?”

“Does it look like I’m kidding?”

“Well do something!” Buffy exclaimed, her voice significantly higher in pitch.

“M’trying, Buffy! Give a bloke a chance, would you?”

“Just pull on it!!”

“There’s too much hair caught in it, if I do that, I’ll take a chunk of your skin with it.”

The longer Spike fumbled to try to free her hair from the handcuffs, the more Buffy’s heartbeat increased in pace, until it reached a panicked frenzy. When realization finally sank in, tears started streaming down her face.

“Hey now, pet. Don’t cry! It’s gonna be OK. I’ll fix this. It’s just that I can’t see very well. Give me a minute and I’ll fix it. I promise.”

“No you won’t.” She said, her voice lifeless.

“Hey! Have a little faith in me, would you?”

“Spike! Stop wasting your time. You should already have left my office at least ten minutes ago. You can’t spend all afternoon trying to fix this. What’s done is done.”

He stopped what he was doing and looked at her, eyes dark with dread. “What are you saying, Warden? It better not be what I bloody well think it is.”

She took a deep breath and reached up to wipe her tears away. “I’m sorry. I don’t have a choice.”

Buffy took the phone on her desk and dialed the extension number.

“Buffy don’t do that! You’re going to get fired. Don’t…”

“Hello, Giles? I’m having a bit of a problem here. Could you come into my office? Don’t knock, just walk in and make sure to shut the door behind you.”

She hung up before the guard could say anything, and turned to Spike. There were fresh tears in her eyes.

“Kiss me?.. One last time?” She pleaded.

The pain in her voice nearly broke his heart. Spike crushed his lips to hers and kissed her with all he had, trying to memorize the feel of her body against his, her lips, her taste.

They broke apart and waited, incapable of looking at each other.

After a long, agonizing moment, the door opened.

There was a loud gasp, followed by a “Bloody Hell!” Buffy and Spike turned their heads just in time to see Giles pull out his stick, ready to defend Buffy.

“No!” She yelled loud enough to stop him in his tracks. “It’s not what you think!”

Realizing Giles had thought he was attacking Buffy, and thinking quickly, Spike jumped on the opportunity to save her job. “Yes! It’s exactly what you think! I attacked her. See? I’m a bad, evil man, and I wanted to do nasty things to her and my handcuffs just got caught in her hair.”

“Shut up, Spike! He’s not stupid.”

“No, you shut up, you stupid bint!” Spike hissed between clenched teeth. “Trying to be all noble here. Work with me.”

“I’m standing right here.” Giles finally managed to say after the shock wore off. “I can hear you.”

“Bloody fucking hell!” Spike muttered.

Buffy’s resigned voice interrupted them. “Handcuffs stuck in my hair. Could you please cut it off so we can end this embarrassing moment?”

Giles’ face was an unreadable mask as he approached them to assess the situation. He tried pulling the hair free from the handcuffs without having to cut it.

Spike let out a sound between a sob and an hysterical laugh. He was panicking. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Now his girl would lose her job because of his carelessness. He’d never see her again. It was over.

“I don’t see what’s so funny, Spike.” Buffy snapped. Anger was temporarily replacing the pure terror she was feeling. She was losing him and he was laughing?!

“No. Not funny. Not funny at all. I’m sorry, it’s all my fault.”

“Damn right it is.” She snapped at him, her reactions dictated by her rising fear.

“Hey! I SAID I’m sorry…”

“Oh, you’re sorry? Well so am I, but it won’t change anything.”

“And what am I supposed to do, Buffy? It bloody happened. It’s not like I can undo it you know! Not that I don’t wish I could, believe me. ”

“You’re supposed to comfort me and tell me it’s gonna be alright!.. Not tell me that what’s done is done!” She said bitterly, tears welling up in her eyes.

Spike closed his eyes in frustration, his jaw clenched almost painfully. “I’m sorry you think I’m being a right bastard, pet, but I’m just as freaked out as you are you know. Sorry to disappoint you by not saying the right soddin’ thing.” He said, desperately trying to keep the fear from his voice. He wanted to comfort her, but there was nothing he could say that would ever make this situation better.

Buffy shut her eyes tightly and let out a shaky breath. “God, I can’t believe this is really happening.”

They were both so caught in their argument that they almost forgot about Giles.

“That’s quite enough, you two!” Giles growled angrily. An uncomfortable silence instantly settled over them as Giles focused on trying to free the prisoner’s handcuffs from Buffy’s hair.

After a few minutes of looking closely at the knot of golden hair and pulling not too gently on one small strand after the other to get them out of the metal links around which the hair was twisted, she was finally free.

The guard directed his angry gaze at Spike. “You. Come with me. And if I hear a word from you, I swear to God, you’ll find out why people called me Ripper when I was younger.” He turned to face Buffy. “And you and I will have a talk when I get back.”

Buffy watched helplessly as Giles took Spike away from her. She went to sit behind her desk, and finally broke down in tears. Burying her face in her hands, she waited for Giles to return with her sentence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: What? :::tries to look innocent::: You don't like my timing... Personaly, I thought starting the year with a bit of angst was a great idea ;) I hope you liked it, and thank you for your reviews.

Now, I'm not leaving without adding something I feel is important. I got a review on another site from someone who said she liked the story, but felt that Spike and Buffy falling in love so fast was unrealistic and she wished it were more like real life. Does anybody else feel this way? Not that it changes anything because as much as I treasure your opinion, I won't go back and rewrite the whole thing. But I need to say this. When I write fiction, it's to embelish reality as much as possible. Most of the time, real life sucks rotten sewage juice and we have enough of that on an everyday basis. Or at least, I do. That's why I love to write about romance and things that might not happen in reality. Lets face it: if I wanted to make this story realistic, there wouldn't be any story to tell. Because in real life, a warden wouldn't have given a guy like Spike--no matter how hot is is--a second look, let alone try to get him out of jail. So for those of you who like to think that magic and romance can exist, at least in writing, keep reading. It might get sad at some points, but in the end, I'll try not to disappoint you.

Love to you all, and Happy New Year,

Isabel
On edge by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: You guys absolutely blew my mind with all the reviews you left me for chapter 23. It's the most reviews I've ever had. I couldn't believe it and it made me really happy, so from the bottom of my heart: Thank you! Keep em coming!


CHAPTER 24: On edge


The man walking with angry strides next to Spike was scaring him beyond any level of fright he had ever experienced before. Mainly, because he held his faith, as well as the faith of the woman he loved, in his hands. And if his heavy silence was any indication, the future wasn’t looking too bright. Spike wasn’t feeling like the twenty five year old man he was at the moment, more like a five year old little boy forced to walk along the Boogie man. The way back to his cell was painfully long. An eternity made even longer by the torturous silence that hung between them. But Spike hadn’t taken the older British man’s threats lightly and would never dare test him by opening his mouth, no matter how heavy the silence was becoming.

Giles led Spike from one hallway to another, ignoring the greetings he got from a few coworkers. From the corner of his eye, Spike could see the other man’s jaw clenched in what looked like an almost painful way. As if he was trying to break every tooth in his mouth to quell his overwhelming anger. A flow of conflicting emotions were battling for dominance on the guard’s face, but no matter how hard he tried, Spike couldn’t figure out what was going on in his head. There was something that looked strangely like disappointment there, but he had no idea what this had to do with the situation. Anger and disgust at finding out that his boss was fooling around with a prisoner, that, he could understand. But disappointment had no place in this as far as he knew.

They went through a few gates, and into the section where the holding cells were located. With every step, Spike’s anxiety was increasing in a dizzying way until it was too much for him to bear.

“Giles…”

“Shut your mouth!”

The silence was restored as fast as it had ended. They went up to the second level, where Spike’s cell was located. He was surprised he hadn’t been taken to isolation right away. With Giles’ foul mood, he had expected it, as well as a swift kick to the ribs. Maybe more. But instead, he was opening the cell Spike shared with Snyder. The guard pushed him unceremoniously inside and violently slammed the door shut.

“Your hands!” He barked angrily when Spike just stood there.

Giles was holding up the keys to the prisoner’s handcuffs, waiting for him to put his hands through the space between the bars so he could take them off. But Spike hesitated, seeing this as his only chance to speak up.

“Don’t get her fired. Please, mate. Don’t report her. It’s not her fault, she didn’t do anything wrong, I did. It was all me. She’s a good person and she loves her job. Do whatever you want to me, I don’t bloody care. But don’t take it away from her.”

Giles yanked Spike’s hands toward him to unlock the handcuffs. “She’s a grown woman. She doesn’t need scum like you defending her. Obviously, she’s already decided her job wasn’t her first priority.”

“Please! I don’t want anything bad happening to her… I love her.”

“Shut up, Spike.” Giles spat hatefully at him. He grabbed the prisoner by the front of his shirt and pulled him roughly against the metal bars of his cell. “You’re beneath her, and I don’t care what you have to say. I really don’t.

Spike could only watch as the guard walked away. He felt more helpless at this moment than ever before in his life. He wanted nothing more than to run after Giles and pound some sense into his head, but the bars were efficiently holding him back.

Pulling out his pack of cigarettes from his shirt pocket, he lit one with unsteady fingers and went to sit on the hard cot. He couldn’t stop shaking as he replayed the earlier events over and over again in his head. He regretted that the last words exchanged between Buffy and him had been harsh. But it hardly mattered now. Not when his girl was about to face Giles on her own. Insecurity gripped Spike’s heart firmly when he thought of what they had, what they were about to lose. She had said she loved him, but chances were she was regretting ever meeting him now that she was about to lose her job.

He knew it was selfish of him to be bitter about the possibility that she was regretting their time together but he couldn’t help it. He loved her and cherished every second they’d ever spent together. But to be fair, unlike her, he had nothing to lose. She had everything to lose.

Imagining her alone in her office, nervous and scared, Spike felt a pang of guilt hit him. This was all because of him. If only he had never kissed her that day, life would have gone on for her and she wouldn‘t be in that mess. But he realized he was doing exactly what he was afraid she’d be doing: regretting their time together. No, he couldn‘t regret. Did that make him a bad man? Did that make him selfish? He didn‘t know anymore. His emotions were a confused jumble.

**I’m so sorry, Buffy.**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy had been waiting for ten minutes but it felt more like ten hours. She couldn’t take it anymore. She was so nervous that she jumped every few minutes, sure that she heard someone approaching her door. It was the most nerve wracking moment she had ever experienced and to be honest, she couldn’t have gone her entire life without experiencing it.

So many thoughts were bouncing around in her head. She couldn’t focus on one for more than a second. The distress in Spike’s eyes, the cold anger on Giles’ face, the way her heart had been racing… Feeling powerless to stop the events from unfolding the way they were. She was left with nothing. She had known that the minute she had picked up the phone to call Giles. But it couldn’t be helped. She had no choice. Or did she?

Maybe she could have given Spike more time to try to free her from the handcuffs. Maybe she could have found something in her office to cut her hair with. Maybe it wouldn’t have hurt that much if he’d just pulled her hair out. Maybe she could have called Dawn and have her teleport herself inside her office to fix it and make things right. God, she was driving herself crazy! No. There was nothing else she could have done. She just hoped she was being overly dramatic by saying that she was about to lose everything. Maybe Giles would come back in the office and laugh with her at how ironic the situation had been. Or maybe he’d be touched by how romantic her forbidden romance with Spike was.

There it was again. The ‘maybes’. Yes, the wait was definitely driving her crazy.

When the door finally opened, she looked up with wild eyes, feeling like a trapped animal. She was so on edge that when she saw that it was only Harmony, she lost it.

“What the fuck did I say about knocking?!” She yelled at her bewildered secretary. “Don’t you have any goddamn manners!”

Turning bright red and not knowing what to say, the other woman turned to leave.

Buffy felt sorry almost instantly for lashing out at her. “Harmony, I’m sorry…” But it was too late, she was already gone.

Getting up, Buffy paced the length of her office, biting on her nails.

“I can’t do this, I can’t do this, I can’t do this…” She repeated over and over like a mantra.

Finally, feeling like a coward, she grabbed her jacket and her purse. She knew it would only make matters worst, but she would never be able to have a decent talk with Giles in her current state. She’d only sob hysterically and say things that would make everything worst instead of helping. She needed to do this with a clear head if she wanted to have a shot at convincing him to give her a chance. So she would leave. She knew it wasn’t very grown up of her to walk away from her responsibilities and that it would only give Giles more reasons to think of her as an irresponsible airhead…

**That’s not what he thinks, Buffy. He probably thinks you’re a whore who uses the prisoners to work out your kinks. Some kind of nymphomaniac ho who uses her status as the warden to get what she wants. Oh God!**

This train of thought only made her panic even more and strengthened her resolve to leave as fast as she could, her tail tucked safely between her legs. She would get fired anyway so why should she care if Giles despised her a little more than he already did?

Hair messed up, eyes red and puffy, she walked out of her office. She stopped in front of Harmony’s desk, shame flooding through her at the way she had treated her secretary a moment ago.

“I’m so sorry, Harm… I didn’t mean… I’m having the day from hell.”

The blonde woman sitting behind the desk huffed, obviously still angry, although there was some curiosity behind her eyes when she looked up at Buffy.

“Please--Giles is coming. Tell him… Tell him I’m sorry. He’ll know what it’s about. Tell him I went home and I’ll see him tomorrow.”

Before Harmony could say anything, Buffy had ran out as if the Devil was coming for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giles knew she had been waiting for a long time and it wasn’t fair of him to torture her like this, but he had to calm down first before being able to face her. But stalling wasn’t going to change anything. No matter how many times he rehearsed what he was going to say, what questions he was going to ask, he knew that emotions would take over and he’d probably act like a right wanker. He had taken this young woman under his protection, had trusted her, believed in her. How could she do this? No. Why would be a more appropriate question. She must have a reason. Something that would explain it. Maybe he misread the whole situation. But the only way to find out would be to go to her office and face her. And hope that he’d manage to control his temper and wouldn’t start by throwing accusations at her.

He walked past Harmony’s desk with no intention of asking permission to go into Buffy’s office, but the secretary stopped him rather efficiently.

“She’s not in there.”

Giles stopped in his tracks, and turned to face the blonde girl. “What do you mean, she’s not in there? She was supposed to be waiting for me.”

“She was way weird. Between you and me, not to be nosy or anything, but she looked like she’d been crying. First, she yells at me, then she’s all weepy and all that. I really don’t get that…”

“Would you get to the bleeding point already!”

“Geez! What is it? Was there a memo passed around the office saying that it was ok to yell at the poor defenseless secretary today?”

Gritting his teeth and taking a deep breath, Giles tried to call down. “I’m terribly sorry I hurt your feelings, but would you please tell me where Ms. Summers is?”

Harmony decided at that moment that fake polite Giles was way scarier than loud yelling Giles, so she repeated what Buffy told her, word for word.

The British guard standing in front of her didn’t look too pleased with the message she gave him.

“Bloody hell.” He mumbled under his breath before rushing out of the office.

Harmony stared after him, mouth gapping. She finally shook her head in disbelief.

“GOD! Has everybody taken their crazy pills today or what?!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can run, but you can't hide by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 25: You can run, but you can't hide



The sun had set a while ago on the suburb, casting the inside of the house in darkness and shadows. The only source of light was the lamp above the kitchen table where Buffy was sitting. She’d been sitting there for a few hours now, waiting for the world to end, for the ground to give way beneath her, swallowing her, her house and, why not, Sunnydale as a whole. But it never came. No apocalypse. Just a woman sitting at her kitchen table with a bottle of wine, looking like the very definition of pathetic.

Early afternoon, she’d fled the prison, half expecting Giles to run after her in the parking lot. It was very unlike her to run from a confrontation. She had always faced her battles head on, even when she was terrified. But today, she had met her inner coward for the first time and hadn’t been able to resist the need to escape the dreaded conversation that was sure to happen. So she’d gone home, sat at the kitchen table, and tried not to think.

Many hours later, she still hadn’t moved, except to get a bottle of wine. She was a mess, physically and emotionally. Her pretty skirt was wrinkled from sitting too long, her make up smudged from rubbing her eyes and crying, giving the illusion of many sleepless nights, and her hair… God, she couldn’t think of her stupid hair. The reason she was in this mess in the first place.

**No, Buffy. The reason you’re in this mess is because you were stupid enough to fall in love with a convict. The hair is innocent. You’re guilty.** She mocked herself.

But despite the horribly fucked up situation, she could not bring herself to regret the too short moments with him, the quick phone conversations, the sweet words they’d exchanged in emails or text messaging. And most of all, she could not regret opening her heart to a man for the first time.

All her life, Buffy had been told that she couldn’t find love because she expected too much. According to her friends and family, she’d read too many romance novels, watched too many sappy love movies, listened to too many love songs. Life was not like a Bon Jovi song, men could never measure up to Patrick Swayze, and love at first sight was a notion invented by unhappy women bored with their lives. Normal people meet, date for a while, learn to appreciate the other person, and eventually, learn to love the other person. That’s life. That’s REAL life. But to Buffy, it all sounded too boring to bear and she’d decided that she’d rather be single forever and dream. That’s until her romantic idea of love was proven to exist the day William Rayne walked into her life. But of course, it was only to mock her by taking it all away just a few months later. Life is such a bitch.

There was a sharp knock at her door. A wave of nausea washed over her and the pace of her heartbeat increased dramatically.

She tried to ignore it, hoping the person responsible for the noise would give up and leave. No such luck. The knocking broke the silence again, more insistently. It could only be one person. Honestly, she was surprised that he’d go as far as showing up at her place to face her. Realizing she couldn’t put it off any longer, she decided to be brave. Buffy got up, and went to open the door.

Seeing Rupert Giles standing there, looking upset, she couldn’t help the snort from escaping, and the sarcasm from crossing her lips.

“I see. You just couldn’t wait until morning to yell at me now, could you?”

She left him standing there and went back to her place at the kitchen table. She poured herself another glass of wine and drank half of it in one large gulp.

Giles closed the door and came to stand in front of her, looking agitated. He motioned with his hand in the general direction of the wine bottle. “Is this helping the situation?”

“Not yet. But I’m expecting the effect to kick in any time now.”

“I didn’t think this was your way of dealing…”

“See? That’s great. Everybody thinks they got me figured out. Little Miss Buffy Anne Summers, also known as Miss Goodie Two Shoes, who does the right thing all the time, makes the right decisions, never disappoints anybody… well turns out, you were all wrong. I’m not a champion. I’m allowed to be a coward like anybody else if I want to.” She pouted and swallowed the rest of her glass.

“So that’s your solution? Run away from me, lock yourself safely in your house and get drunk, hoping the problem will just go away on its own? You’re right. I am disappointed.”

“It was worth a try.”

“Oh, do be quiet, Buffy. This is no laughing matter.”

“Do I look like I’m laughing?” She finally looked at him. Her eyes were tired, like the fight had finally gone out of her. “Why don’t you go ahead, Giles? Tell me what’s on your mind. Get it over with. You’re gonna report me? Fine. Skip the lecture and just do it.”

He pulled a chair and sat in front of her. “That’s what I should do. And maybe I will. I don’t know yet. It would be the right thing to do. But the right thing isn’t always the best thing. Call me an old fool, but I’d rather you tell me what happened first. I trusted you, Buffy. Was I wrong?”

She narrowed her eyes angrily at him. “Obviously, you already know the answer to this question. I fucked up. I betrayed your trust. There. You got the entire story. Now, can you just leave me so I can curl up in bed and die?”

“That's enough self pity! Now, will you tell me what the bloody hell is going on, or do I have to draw my own conclusions? So far, the ones I came up with are highly disturbing and I very well hope I’m wrong. So tell me,” He asked, looking her straight in the eyes, “Was he the only one or are there others?”

Shock and anger flashed in Buffy’s eyes. “How DARE you!”

“How am I supposed to know, Buffy? Like you said yourself, everything I thought I knew about you flew out the window. And I don’t have any answers about what happened today because when I got back to your office, you were long gone. All I know is that I saw you with a prisoner’s arms around you, and instead of telling me what happened, you shower me with bloody sarcasm and self pity. So if you don’t want me to think less of you, why don’t you just tell…”

“I love him.”

Giles shut his mouth and looked at her with an unreadable expression. He finally sighed and took off his glasses. He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Bloody hell.”

“I didn’t mean for it to happen. It just did. I’m not some sex freak who calls random convicts in her office to screw them, if that’s what you think.”

Giles’ voice was softer when he spoke again. “Of course that’s not what I think. I only tried to shock you into giving me answers.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “Buffy, you are the Warden. You can’t get involved with inmates. You have responsibilities. I know it must sometimes feel like you have the weight of the world on your shoulders and we can’t ask you to be perfect, but you have to remember that all eyes are on you. You said it yourself, most of the staff is just waiting for you to screw up…”

“And I did. I know that. But I didn’t wake up one morning thinking: “hey, why don’t I fall in love with a convict today? Could be fun.” It wasn’t planned, Giles.”

“Good Lord.” Giles sighed heavily. “I think I’d kill for a drink right now. Would you mind?”

“Sure. What would you like?”

“Something strong. Whiskey if you have some.”

Buffy got up and quickly made her way to the basement to get the bottle of whiskey and a glass. She felt a little better. She couldn’t help the spark of hope that had ignited in her heart. Giles’ reaction wasn’t nearly as bad as she thought it would be. She knew it didn’t mean she was out of the woods, but it was a good start. Maybe if she played her cards right, she could convince him not to report her. Though it didn’t solve the problem of her and Spike. Even if Giles let her keep her job, he certainly wouldn’t let her keep seeing Spike. And that was… Well, that was unacceptable. But she didn’t know what she would do. Quitting her job would keep her from Spike, and staying would have the same result. She was on the verge of tears again.

Trying to control her raging emotions the best she could, she went back upstairs. Giles hadn’t moved from his chair. He was wiping his glasses with a handkerchief, obviously lost in his thoughts. She put the bottle down on the table and sat back down in front of him.

“Here.” She said after pouring him a glass of the amber liquid. “I hope this helps.”

“Yes, thank you. I presume it shouldn’t take too long before--how did you put it--the effect kicks in.”

She gave him a weak smile.

“I’m almost afraid to ask but, how long as this been going on exactly?”

“Exactly? Well, huh, about a week after I started working at the prison.”

“Dear Lord.” He muttered under his breath, shaking his head slightly. “You do realize this has to stop, right?”

The sudden paleness of her face and her prolonged silence alarmed him.

“Buffy? Are you alright?”

She nodded weakly, not feeling alright at all. This was what she feared the most.

“You didn’t think this could go on indefinitely, did you?”

“I… I can’t. Giles, I really can’t.”

“You can’t what, Buffy?”

Tears welled up in her large hazel eyes, threatening to spill. “I can’t not see him.”

“Buffy, this is insane. You can‘t possibly think you can continue with this relationship. It‘s impossible.” His voice was gentle, trying to softened the edge of his words.

But the result was the same. Buffy broke down into loud sobs.

Giles got up and took a seat on the chair next to her. He awkwardly pulled her into his arms to try to comfort her the best he could. After a while, he finally spoke again. There was a hesitation to his words but he said it anyway.

“Spike is… he is a murderer, Buffy. He’s in jail for homicide. Not exactly the best person to give your heart to.”

She pushed away from his chest where she’d been crying for a few minutes now. She was suddenly feeling cold inside. She wiped at her tears with the back of her hand, and looked Giles in the eyes to see if he was really convinced that what he just said was true. But his expression was unreadable. She didn’t want to sound childish or naïve by stating that Spike was innocent. She’d already damaged his opinion of her enough for one day.

“Tell me, Giles, as the supervisor of the correctional officers, you spend a lot of time around the prisoners… a lot of time around Spike. Do you really believe what you just said?”

He got visibly flustered. “Well… This is not for me to judge. The court system declared him guilty of homicide so I’m not going to contest…”

“Is he a murderer, Giles?”

“I’ve--had my doubts.” He admitted.

She gave him a hopeful look. “Really?”

“I must say, there’s something about William Rayne that somehow screams not-guilty. And it’s not only that he doesn’t seem to be the type of person who could commit such an act, although it is part of it. But there’s something else also. He’s not like those guys who say they’re innocent on a daily basis. He said it to me only once, but it chilled me. He sounded very sincere and there was a sadness in his eyes… But I assume he could also be a very good actor.”

“He’s convinced me too, Giles. Sure, there’s been moments, when I was alone at home and wondered if I was just being naïve and stupid, but I believe him.”

“But it doesn’t change anything, Buffy. I can certainly see why you‘d be attracted to him. He’s good looking, very intelligent, and has an interesting personality, but he’s behind bars. For good. Guilty or not. And it’s not worth ending in front of the council and facing the very real possibility of losing your job. Someone will start having suspicions after a while and will report you. Then what?” He smiled warmly, trying to lighten the mood. “We’ll lose the best Warden we’ve ever had? I definitely don’t want that to happen.”

Buffy ran her fingers wearily through her hair, and took a deep breath before looking at him. She looked calmer, more determined, and it worried him.

“Once upon a time, when I was working at the Metropolitan Detention Center in L.A., this is the kind of thing that would have scared me into behaving myself. For the longest time, my job was the most important thing in my life. So much more important than my personal life, my family, my friends and definitely more important than my love life. If I lost my job now, after accomplishing so much, it would still devastate me. I won’t deny it. But I’m in love for the first time of my life, and I think that for once, I want to put Buffy first. I won’t stop seeing William, Giles.”

She looked into his eyes, a serious expression on her pretty face. “I’m asking for your help. If you don’t give it to me, I don’t know what I will do. But I can’t stop seeing him.”

He nodded his understanding, but didn’t answer.

“Do you remember not long after we met, we had our first real conversation in my office? You asked me about my life outside of work and when you asked about my love life, I told you I didn’t have one. I told you I gave up on love. Do you remember that?”

“I believe I do, yes.”

“You also said that it was only because I hadn’t found the one yet. Well I lied. I already had. I knew it the second I saw him. He’s the one, Giles. Don’t make me give up on him.”

Giles grabbed the whiskey bottle and helped himself, also pouring some into Buffy’s empty wine glass.

“I think we both need it.” He said before lifting the glass to his lips and swallowing some of the fiery liquid.

“Did you think about the future, Buffy? I would hate to rain on your parade, but it doesn’t look too bright. As romantic as your story sounds, I don’t see it ending well.”

“Does that mean you’re going to help us?” She couldn‘t help but asking, hopeful.

“I absolutely did not say that. This is something I’ll need to think about very carefully. Helping you would also mean that my job would be at risk. If someone finds out I’m involved in this, I will suffer the repercussions just as much as you will.”

Buffy sighed. “Fine. Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I did think about the future. And yes, I do know that the chances we’ll get our happy ending are, like Starvin’ Marvin’, skinny.”

“They’re what?”

“Never mind, too much South Park. What I’m trying to say is…” She frowned and thought about it for a second, unsure of how much she wanted to tell him. “I’ve met lawyers to discuss Spike’s case--see if there was any chance of proving him innocent. I’m not going to let him rot in jail if I can help it.”

“What did they say, if I may ask?”

“Not much, unfortunately. But they’re looking into it.” Buffy hated to lie to him again, but she also thought that poor Giles had enough shocks for the time being without her telling him that she was planning on contacting possible killers. “I’m not saying it will happen, but I don’t want to do nothing either.”

“I understand. But I’m afraid if you’re hoping too much and nothing happens, you will be horribly disappointed.”

“I’m aware of that. I’m not holding my breath. The way I see it, things can’t get worst anyway. So why not try.”

Giles stood up.

“Why don’t you take a few days off, Buffy? You weren’t supposed to work this week anyway. I think you need it. It’s the holidays. Rest, and spend some time with your family.”

“You’re right. I guess it’s the best thing I could do right now.” She hesitated before asking: “I don’t suppose you’re gonna tell me tonight if you’re going to help us or not?”

He gave her a half smile, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She looked very young, the expression on her face so hopeful.

“I don’t know yet. Let me think about it when my mind is clearer. Too much happened today, I can’t think straight. Give me a few days, and I’ll let you know.”

Buffy gave him a hug. “Thanks for not yelling.”

“You’re welcome, but I don’t see why you’d think I would yell at you. I’m not exactly the type of person to yell. Or at least, not that I know of.”

“Well, you were really scary today in my office, so I just thought maybe you were mad enough to do some major yelling, is all. I thought you were supposed to be all British and nice, then you turn all scary on me. I was shocked.”

Giles grinned at her, a mischievous glint in his eyes. “Yes, everybody thinks they got me figured out. Just like you, I guess.” He said, remembering the words she’d said earlier about herself.

She laughed. “Aren’t we just full of surprises or what?”

Buffy watched him leave, then collapsed in her chair. She was emotionally exhausted, but at least, it didn’t go as badly as she’d expected. She seriously hoped that she’d never have to go through another day like this one ever again in her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Thanks for all your amazing reviews, and for voting for me in the weekly poll last week. Even if I didn't win, I still found it really flattering that PMJ was in third place. Please, keep reviewing. It's the only way for me to know if you like it or not.
Mood swings by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 26: Mood swings



Charles Gunn made his way into the yard, sweaty and in a really bad mood. He quickly spotted Spike, sitting with his back against the wall, scribbling furiously into a black leather journal. Charles made his way toward him. The sun was blazing overhead and things were relatively quiet in the yard, probably due to the fact that most guys were still busy with their daily chores at this time of the day. He sat next to Spike.

“Make ‘em damn license plates, you lousy, no good, piece of trash, he said. Well I‘ll tell him where he can shove his goddamn license plates. Fucker.” Gunn mumbled, imitating one of the guards attached to the license plates production line. “One of these days, someone’s gonna make Devon wish he’d treated us with a little bit more respect.”

When Spike only grunted in reply and didn’t even bother looking up, Gunn frowned, wondering what the hell was wrong with him.

“You know, I’m not really expecting any sympathy from you, Mr. I-don’t-have-to-do-any-unpleasant-work-cause-the-Warden-likes-me, but you could at least pretend to care.”

Spike’s head snapped up at Charles’ comment, and the look in the blonde man’s eyes made him regret he’d ever say anything.

“Whoa! Relax, man. What did I say?”

After a moment staring a him, Spike went back to his writing. “Nothing, mate. Forget it. Could you please bugger off? ‘m not in the mood.”

“You know, you’ve been in a hell of a weird mood since yesterday. Anything you wanna talk about? Did something happen?”

“No, girlfriend, nothing I want to share. Everything is just fucking fantastic and bloody peachy. Life in prison really works for me. Thanks for asking.”

“I just asked if there’s something wrong. No need to bite my head off. A ‘no thanks, I don’t want to talk about it’ would have done just fine.”

“Sorry. Nothing’s wrong.”

**Nothing is wrong except that I’m in love with the Warden, we’ve had some incredibly hot make out sessions, I’ve even shagged her, and now she’s about to lose her job because of me and I might never see her again. She’s going through something hard and I’m not there. I haven’t heard from her since it happened, and I can’t bloody well call her because for all I know, she could be under investigation right about now. Though I think it’s pretty safe to say that government people don’t work during the holidays, but I can‘t take the chance. Can‘t even write freely about it in my own soddin‘ journal because the guards could decide to go through it during one of their inspections and things would get even more fucked up. Yes mate, bloody fucking peachy.**

“Huh, Spike?” Gunn snapped his fingers in front of his eyes, and Spike interrupted his thoughts long enough to look at him. “You spaced there for a second.”

“Sorry, Charles. I know I’ve been acting like I’ve gone around the bend, but I just have some things on my mind. And before you ask, no, I don’t want to discuss my emotions with you over a pint of ice cream, then have a pillow fight. So sod off.”

Gunn grinned. “Damn! And I was hoping for a girls night. Maybe we could have even convinced the guards to put some chick flick on for movie night tonight. Are you sure? I could go get Andrew and Jonathan. I’m sure they’re great listeners.”

Spike was about to throw in another sarcasm, but he chuckled instead. “I can always count on you to lighten the mood, mate.”

“Come on. Some of the guys are playing basketball. Could get ugly. Lets go watch.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Don’t you dare tell Cordelia about this, Dawn. You know what she’ll say…”

“Yeah. The first words out of her mouth will be ‘I told you so.’ Don’t worry, I won’t tell her. Buffy? Do you want me to come over?”

“Nah. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

Dawn huffed on the other end of the line, clearly not believing it. “Whatever. If you’re fine, then I’m freakin’ Demi Moore, and God knows I wish I were. Who wouldn’t want to be dating Ashton? But you’re not fine. You can’t be, not after the last 24 hours. Come on, talk to me.”

“I have to believe I’m fine because if I don’t, I’m afraid I’ll break down and never be alright again. So I’m just gonna believe that everything will work out and hope that I’m right.”

“I’m not sure denial is the best way to deal with the problem, but hey, if it makes you feel better… Go denial!”

Buffy went to sit at her computer and waited for it to come to life. She was holding a coffee cup in one hand, the cordless phone in the other, and she was dressed in sweat pants and an over sized Metallica t-shirt she had since she was 16. And to top everything off, she was feeling sick. Not hung over sick, just the natural kind, accompanied by shivers and cold sweat. She was glad the room didn’t have any mirrors.

“Buffy, I know I’ve only talked to him for a few hours in my life, but Giles seemed like a really nice guy. And I got the definite feeling that he really loves you. Not in an icky way,” she quickly added. Buffy chuckled. “What I mean is, I don’t know if he’ll help you seeing Spike and all, especially since he would risk his own job by doing that, but I don’t think he’ll stand in the way if you decide you still want to see Spike. And I definitely don’t think Giles would make you lose your job.”

Buffy entered her password to access her settings, and logged on to the net.

“I know, Dawnie. I’ve just had a really bad day yesterday and I think I’m suffering from residual paranoia. But you’re right. I don’t think he’ll do anything to make me lose my job, or to stop me from seeing Spike. At least, I hope so. I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t see him anymore.”

“So. Did you send him that email yet? Poor Spike must be freaking out!”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Relax. I’ve just signed on now. You know my computer’s a piece of junk. It takes forever to turn on.”

“Maybe that’s a sign that you should get a new one, penny pincher!”

“I am so not a penny pincher! I just have a phobia of computer stores. It’s full of geeky nerds with a superiority complex who look at you like you’re the dumbest thing they’ve ever seen and then they try to make you buy a bunch of stuff you don’t even need and when you walk out of the store, they laugh their little geeky asses off. They‘re creepy.”

“OK, OK, calm down. I get it. Computer stores, bad. Spike, pretty. Everything is so simple in my lovely sister’s head.”

“Hold on. I think it’s coming. Yes, would that be an amused laugh about to come out? Wait. No. No, that was only gas. Sorry, not funny.”

Dawn laughed. “So, is it on yet?”

“Yes. But I’ll have to hang up. I’d like to concentrate on what I want to write if you don’t mind.”

“Oh, I forgot you can’t do two things at the same time. Your blonde brain could go into shock.”

“Ok, what is it with you insulting me today? I call you because I’m depressed, sick and freaking out, and all you do is make fun of me? Is that what a loving sister is supposed to do?”

“Well, I read the handbook and it says that if your older sister is in a gloomy ‘oh my God, I’m doomed, my life is shit and I’m about to lose my job and the man I love’ kinda mood, you should do anything you can to get her mind off it. I figured annoying you would be as good a way as any. It’s working, isn’t it? When I answered the phone two hours ago, you were crying. Now, you’re just pissed at me. Mission accomplished.”

“Oh, I see. I guess that means I should thank you for insulting my intelligence then.”

“Yes, you should.”

“Thanks, bitca. I’ll talk to you later.”

“You’re welcome. Bye.”

They both hung up, and Buffy turned to her computer screen. She entered the email address, Bloody_poet@hotmail.com, and then stared at the screen for a few minutes, not sure what to write. How did she start? Her usual ‘hey baby’ or ‘hi lover’ seemed inappropriate, ‘hi Spike’ too detached, and simply ‘Spike’ was too dramatic. She finally took a deep breath, and started typing, skipping the introduction.


I’m so sorry things happened the way they did yesterday. And I’m even more sorry it took me so long to let you know what happened after you left. I wanted to email you earlier, but the last twenty four hours of my life have been like a really bad Soap Opera and I was just overwhelmed.
You won’t be proud of me because I wasn’t very brave yesterday. After he took you back, I ran away. I couldn’t face him. I was sitting in my office imagining the absolute worst scenarios, and the more time passed, the more horrifying they became. Until I freaked out and left. But we did end up talking later on. He came to my place to talk to me. And to be honest, it didn’t go nearly as bad as I expected. I don’t think I will lose my job. At least not this time. So that’s a relief. He seemed understanding of the situation, even though he thinks I’m completely out of my mind to take such risks for a man. Anyway, as far as our relationship is concerned, that’s the part that is still uncertain. I told him I refuse to stop seeing you, but I don’t know yet if he’ll help us or not. He told me I should take a few days off, that he’d think about it and then we’d talk some more. Spike, I don’t know what we will do if he refuses. But I can’t lose you, so I’ll just have to figure something out.

I am so sorry for the way I acted with you yesterday. I hope you don’t hate me for being such a bitch with you. I was just so scared. I’m sorry I took it out on you. You know it wasn’t your fault, right? I didn’t mean that. It just happened, it was no ones fault. Once you were gone and I realized that the last words I said to you were mean ones, my heart broke. I’m sorry. I love you so much. You know that, don’t you? I’ll never take off the necklace you gave me. It does look kinda weird with the very ugly over sized t-shirt, and gray sweat pants I’m wearing right now, but I don’t care. Thank you again. It’s was the most beautiful Christmas gift I’ve ever received.

I’ve been more than a little careless with details in this email because of the situation. So please delete it as soon as possible.

Love you, always, and I’ll see you soon if things go well,

Anne xxx



She clicked on ‘send’, and turned the computer off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I just noticed that PMJ is still on the voting list for the weekly poll. Thank you to whoever nominated me!! I love you! lol And all of you, your reviews are fantastic! Thank you so much for taking time to tell me you enjoy my little fantasy world. I will have another update for you soon, and it will be Spuffylicious :D Oh, and since I have your attention, I might as well take the oportunity to pimp my other fiction. The conclusion of America's sexiest home video is coming, tonight, or tomorrow morning depending on my beta. So keep your eyes open for it, and don't forget to let me know if you like it
New Year conspiracy by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I know I promised a spuffy chapter, but this one was already too long so it's going to be in the next one. Also, I know New Year is pretty much over, but real life has been a bitch to me lately and I missed my dead lines. But it's still January, right? I'll try to have the big spuffy New Year's eve ready by monday. And I've been nominated in a few categories at Vampire Kisses award!! Thanks for showing me some love guys, I appreciate it :D



Chapter 27
New Year conspiracy




Buffy felt groggy and nasty. Her head was pounding, the soft light filtering through the curtains was hurting her sensitive eyes, and her tongue felt twice its normal size. Everything was wrong. It was New Year’s eve, she had no celebration planned and felt sick as a dog. The antibiotics Dr. Burkle had prescribed her would probably take a few days to make her feel better and meanwhile, she was still waiting for Giles’ phone call. Wait. Phone call? The phone ringing… wasn’t that what woke her up in the first place? Suddenly completely awake, she pushed herself up on one elbow and hurriedly picked up the phone, dropping it to the floor in her haste. She leaned over the edge of the bed and fumbled to grab the receiver.

“Hello?” She mumbled, her voice still thick with sleep.

“Buffy? It’s…”

“Giles! Hi!” Her enthusiasm was interrupted by a fit of coughing.

“Buffy, are you all right?”

“Right as rain. Don’t worry about me, I’m tough She took a deep breath. “I’ve--I’ve been waiting for your call.”

“I know. I’m terribly sorry, but I needed to think things over before making a decision.”

“Oh.” Buffy tried keeping the hope out of her voice. She didn’t know what to say.

“Don’t you want to find out what that decision might be?”

“Well yeah. But I didn’t want to sound pushy. What did you decide?” She asked, almost afraid of his answer.

She could hear Giles on the other end of the line taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly. “I’ve decided… To be completely idiotic. I guess I’m just an old romantic fool, but after seeing you so broken over this ordeal, I couldn’t just stand back. I would lie by saying that I’m happy with the situation, Buffy. I’m acutely aware that it could have dire consequences for both of us. But I’ll stand by your side and pray to God that it doesn’t end too horribly.”

Buffy let out a sigh of relief that sounded more like a choked sob. “I was really scared. I don’t know what to say, Giles. You have no idea what this means to me.”

“I’m sorry I gave you reasons to doubt I would help you. Look, it’s New Year’s eve tonight. Why don’t stop by your office if you don’t have anything else planned?”

Buffy sat with her back against the headboard and played nervously with the edge of her comforter. “I don’t know, Giles. There’s nothing I want more, but it is New Year’s eve you know? Don’t you think it would look a little suspicious if I showed up at work tonight?”

“Don’t worry about that. Be ready and I’ll call you from the prison around ten o’clock tonight. I’ll find a good excuse to justify it.”

She could feel her heart beating as if it was trying to break out of her chest. “Ok, I’ll be ready and waiting.”

“Good. I’ll talk to you later then.”

“Later. And Giles?… Thank you.”

He paused before finally answering in a soft voice. “You’re welcome, Buffy.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twisting another strand of her long blonde hair around the curling iron, Buffy swore under her breath when it tangled in it. She was so nervous that her hands were shaking. She managed to untangle it from her now wavy mane, and slammed the iron angrily on her dresser. Closing her eyes for a brief moment, she finally calmed down. It was 7pm, and she was beyond nervous.

Clad in nothing but a red lace trimmed black satin underwear set, she crossed her bedroom. She turned on the light in her walk-in closet and went straight to the dress that hung there still covered by the protective plastic they had put over it at the store. After she hung up with Giles this morning, she had taken a quick shower and run to the mall, hoping it was open. Luckily enough, it was open for business until 5pm. In a nervous frenzy, she had gone through every store to find the perfect outfit. Her first stop had been Victoria’s Secret. The racy red and black number had caught her eye instantly. She didn’t even look at the price tag. She tried it on and knew that it was what she wanted. Spike had told her during one of their conversations that red and black were his favorite colors. After two more hours of desperate shopping, she finally found the dress. The red flowing silk skirt fell to her knees in soft waves while the bodice of the dress clung to her curves seductively. The v neck was cut just low enough to showcase her pendant necklace and the back revealed quite a bit of skin. It was love at first sight.

Buffy put her stockings on, careful not to ruin them with her freshly manicured nails, then slipped the dress on. She went to stand in front of her full length mirror to admire the result. She looked great, but the look on her face could only be described as miserable. Half an hour ago, she had checked for the hundred and fiftieth time to see if she got an answer from Spike to the three emails she left him in the past three days, but with no luck. She knew there could be many explanations to this. Maybe he got himself in trouble again and was stuck in isolation. Maybe he didn’t get a chance to check his emails… Or maybe he was mad at her. She didn’t like the third option, but it was a possibility. What if he didn’t want to see her tonight?

She sighed again, and went to sit in front of her dresser to start applying her make up. She really had to stop imagining the worst case scenarios or she’d go insane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike was one of the lucky guys on cafeteria cleaning duty. They would be having a New Year’s eve diner tonight so they had to decorate on top of the usual gruesome job of making the place presentable again after 215 inmates had their lunch. He was busy moping the disgustingly filthy floor, when Giles walked in. The prisoner automatically looked down. It was the first time he'd seen the guard in three days and didn’t know what to expect. The last three days had been hell for Spike. He hadn’t seen Buffy, hadn’t been able to talk to Giles, and had no way of finding out what was going on. He couldn’t email Buffy or call her in fear of making it worst for her. So all he could do was go on with his usual daily routine and wait. Spike was starting to think that maybe he’d never know. In his nightmarish daydreams, he could almost see himself twenty years from now, laying on his cot at night and wondering what happened to the woman he loved. But right now, he was just surprised that no one had come to take him away yet.

There was such a thing as a prison inside the prison and he had been sure that’s where he’d end up after Buffy lost her job. But no one came for him. Nothing had happened and it had been days. He was worrying himself sick over this and almost wished that something would happen. Anything would be better than being kept in the dark.

Spike tensed when he noticed Giles walking towards him. It looked like his wish was finally granted; something was going to happen. He tried to read the other British man’s face but it was impossible. Bracing himself, Spike stopped mopping the floor and waited for the guard to be close enough to talk.

“Spike.” Giles greeted the prisoner with a slight nod of his head. He lowered his voice so no one else would hear. “Pretend to be sick.”

Spike looked genuinely puzzled. “Pardon?”

“Complain all day that you’re not feeling well and make sure everybody knows.”

“… why?”

Giles frowned, very close to losing his patience. He was nervous and didn’t want to draw attention to himself by spending too much time with one of the guys. “Don’t question me, just do it. And try to make it convincing. Unless of course you never want to see her again.”

He turned and left without another word.

Spike stared at his retreating form, frozen in shock. That was definitely not what he’d expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking pretty, Buffy was sitting in the kitchen, nervous as hell. The cordless phone was on the table in front of her and she was staring at it, as if that would make it ring. She turned it on to check if it was working for the hundredth time and turned it off quickly, worried that Giles might have chosen this exact time to call and would get a busy signal. It was 9:51 p.m. and she was sick of waiting. The last three hours had felt like a life time to her.

When it finally rang, two minutes later, she answered on the first ring, not caring if she looked like an eager teenager.

“Giles?”

“Hi Buffy. I’m sorry to bother you on New Year’s eve, but I fear we might have a situation here tonight and I thought it would be best to call you.”

“Are there people around you? Is that part of your plan?”

Giles chuckled lightly. “Yes, and yes. One of the inmates came to me saying that a riot has been planned for tonight. I don’t know how reliable he is, but I thought it would be better to be safe than sorry.”

“Won’t they all wonder why I didn’t take measures over the phone instead of showing up?”

“I’m doing the best I can, Buffy.” Giles whispered harshly into the phone. “I don’t know if it’s worth ruining your plans for the night just because of rumors,” He continued louder obviously for the benefit of people listening in on their conversation. “but it being New Year’s eve, I tend to want to take it more seriously.”

“I’ll be right there.” She said before they both hung up.

The young woman stood up and grabbed the oversize purse she had left by the door, packed with goodies for her and Spike. If, of course, he wanted to talk to her. She just hoped his silence of the past few days didn’t mean it was the end for them, because losing the man you love on New Year’s eve… not the best memory to create.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy walked into the prison, and was quickly greeted by Giles who had been waiting for her at the security check. She went through security and followed him to her office.

“Wait here, I’ll be right back.” He said, ready to walk out of her office. But she stopped him.

“Giles. How are you gonna get Spike here? You’re not gonna blame the possible riot on him, are you? And… you didn’t REALLY hear of a possible riot, did you?”

“No, Buffy. I didn’t hear of any possible riot planned for tonight. And I wouldn’t make Spike look bad by bringing him here for questioning. Don’t worry, I have a perfectly good excuse. I won’t be long, I promise”

He left her there to wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giles walked up to Spike’s cell. The blonde man was sitting on the floor, his back against the wall and his forehead resting on his knees. Snyder was sitting stiffly on his cot, arms cross over his chest and casting his cellmate annoyed glares.

“Rayne.” Giles called out loudly. “Are you getting any better?”

“No he’s not!” Snyder exclaimed before Spike could open his mouth. “Please get him out of here before he vomits in the sink again. That’s absolutely disgusting and I might be a prisoner, but I’m still a human being, and you have no right to subject me to something so vile. I will not tolerate this. I will…”

“Oh do shut up. No one is talking to you.” Giles addressed Spike again who was now looking at him. “Come on. Get up, I’ll take you to the infirmary. Anya will examine you and you can spend the night there. You’ll be more quiet than here with that troll.”

“Hey! Who gave you the right to insult me? And who is the moron at immigration who let so many psychotic British guys with God complexes into our beautiful country, huh? Who? It’s outrageous! It’s…”

“Do you want to spend the night in isolation, Snyder? All you have to do is ask.”

The little man shut his mouth, but narrowed his already small, beady eyes at him. Spike stood up from his position on the floor and came to the cell’s door so Giles could put his handcuffs on. The guard opened the door and Spike walked out of the cell. They stopped briefly so Giles could tell another guard where he was taking the prisoner.

“Rayne has been sick all day. I’m taking him to the infirmary. God know what he has and it could be contagious.”

They walked through corridors until they were out of earshot. Then, Spike finally spoke.

“Will you tell me what the bloody hell this is all about?”

“Didn’t you suss it out on your own already? I thought it was clear. I’m taking you to Buffy.”

Spike chuckled humorlessly. “Oh, that makes it so much clearer. Last time I saw you, you wanted to kill me, then I don’t hear anything from anybody for days, and now, you want to take me to Buffy? And you think I’m thick for not understanding what’s going on?”

Giles stopped in his tracks and turned to face Spike. “She didn’t tell you?”

“I haven’t talked to her since you found out about us. It’s not like I could call her or write to her. Didn’t want to get her in more trouble than she already is. What did I miss? Buffy is not losing her job?”

“Of course not! I would never do such a thing. We… talked. For some reason, Buffy is quite taken with you and she refused to stop seeing you. I can’t say I approve and I did try to make her see how insane this is, but she wouldn’t budge.”

“So you just said, bugger this, what Buffy wants, Buffy gets, even if it’s an evil prisoner? Excuse me if I’m a somewhat shocked.”

“No matter how idiotic I think it is to take these kinds of risks Buffy is very dear to me and I’ll stand by her side no matter what. She said she loves you, and I‘m not going to stand in the way of that, even if it doesn‘t make me happy and I do think she deserves better.”

Spike looked down without saying anything.

“I will say one thing though. Hurt her, and I will kill you. Do we understand each other?”

“If I ever hurt her, I’ll let you. But it won’t happen.”

They resumed walking towards Buffy’s office in silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celebration (part 1) by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Wanna see the pretty picture I made for this? Here's the link:: http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/hellmouth/images/pmjnewyear.jpg


CHAPTER 28: Celebration (part 1)



The door opened slowly, revealing Giles, and a few steps behind him, Spike. Buffy twisted her hands nervously in front of her, suddenly feeling shy. Now that a third person was involved in this, it felt like the whole thing was more real and it made her nervous. Like her secret relationship was now public, even if the public consisted of only one person. Well, not just nervous. Nervous, excited and happy. It felt more official. Now, everything depended on Spike’s reaction. She already knew how he felt about her risking her job for him. The fact that he never answered her emails made her worried that maybe he decided to end it with her. That was something she wasn’t willing to face but the risk of this happening was very real and she was conscious of it. Hence the nervousness that had gripped her by the throat and wouldn’t let go.

She watched from beneath her lashes as Giles unlocked Spike’s handcuffs. The way he shifted his weight restlessly from one foot to the other betrayed the fact that the man she loved was just as uncertain as she was about what was happening. He shot Giles a surprised look when the guard reached for the restraints, clearly not expecting Giles to trust him enough to do such a thing

“Don’t thank me. You’re obviously too bloody clumsy to be trusted with those around your wrists. God only knows where you’ll get them caught this time if I leave them on.” The older man grumbled good-naturedly.

He turned briefly toward Buffy. “I’ll be back soon after midnight. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure no one interrupts. But to be safe, lock the door.”

Buffy nodded numbly, her eyes never leaving Spike. She was desperately trying to figure out what was going on behind those crystal blue eyes of his, but couldn’t decrypt the swirl of emotions she could see in them.

Over the past couple of days, she had missed him more than she thought possible. And during the hours since Giles had called, her wild imagination hadn’t stop creating all kinds of scenarios of romantic reunions. But none involved them standing frozen, a few feet apart, in awkward silence. No. Most of her reunion scenes had them running in slow motion toward each other with a sappy love song playing in the background, their arms wrapping tightly around the other, their lips connecting in a passionate kiss and declarations of love being exchanged. Instead, Spike was silently looking down at his now bare wrists and she couldn’t find a thing to say to break the thick ice forming between them.

Giles opened the door to make his way out. Door knob in hand, he turned momentarily to look at the two young lovers. He frowned at the awkward scene and wanted to dryly comment on the fact that they didn’t have the entire night in front of them, but decided against it and discretely exited the office.

Both their eyes glanced briefly toward the door as it closed, but the relief the distraction brought was short lived when they realized they were now alone. Someone had to say something or do something. In his mind, Spike was telling Buffy everything he needed her to know. How much he loved her, how worried he’d been, how he missed her… But for some reason, none of the words crossed his lips. He wanted nothing more than to run to her and pull her into his arms, but couldn’t move. He decided instead to wait for her to talk first, but she was obviously waiting for the same thing. So neither of them said a thing.

Still unable to bring herself to speak, Buffy busied herself by smoothing down nonexistent wrinkles on her red dress. This prompted Spike to finally open his mouth.

“You look fantastic.” He said, his voice booming in the silence of the room despite the fact that he had merely whispered the words.

Buffy blushed and chuckled, the sound almost alien to her ears. She couldn’t recognize her own voice when she answered. “This old thing? What can I say… I wanted to look my Sunday best.”

There was a pause, but they both decided to not let it drag in case the nervous silence would start again and neither of them would find the strength to end it this time.

“Buffy” “Spike”

They spoke at the same time, and stopped, both smiling at how silly they were being.

“Why don’t you go first, pet?” He said quietly.

She took a deep breath and finally looked him in the eyes. “I brought a bunch of stuff.”

She tilted her head toward the coffee table to illustrate what she meant. Spike looked and saw a bottle of champagne and some food on the table.

“… had a whole fun couple of hours planned. But… maybe we should talk first before I make a fool of myself by assuming we‘re good. I’m not sure what’s going on since you haven’t talked to me or answered my emails in a week, so if you’re trying to tell me something--if you want to break up with me…”

“W--what?! Brea… Bloody Hell! Why would I want to break up with you?!” His eyes were wide with shock and he was slowly shaking his head, clearly not understanding how she could come up with such a ridiculous idea.

Buffy hated to sound so insecure, but she couldn’t help it. She really had been worried about his silence, and the weirdness between them since he’d walked into the office had only reaffirmed her fears. She crossed her arms defensively over her chest. “I haven’t heard from you, you haven’t called, you haven’t even answered my emails. Can’t blame a girl for jumping to conclusions.”

Spike’s expression went from shocked to somewhat angry. “I didn’t try to contact you because I didn’t want to put you in anymore trouble than you already were! How could you think that I didn’t want to see you anymore? After all the bloody mess we’ve been through? I told you I love you. That’s not something I say lightly, Buffy.”

He ran his fingers through his hair in agitation, messing up the neatly slicked back bleached locks. When he looked back up and saw the unshed tears in her hazel eyes, he instantly calmed down.

“I’m sorry, pet, but I’ve been worried sick and trying to do the right soddin’ thing by staying away from you and turns out it only added to your pain. I’m a right wanker. I don’t mean to be, you know. It’s just that I don’t always think things through.”

“It’s OK. I don’t exactly have the reputation for being a thinker myself. But, I didn’t hear from you after we got caught, I thought that either you were mad at me for being such a bitch last time, or you decided that it wasn’t worth the risk to be together. I thought you had decided to make the decision for me.”

“Luv… I’m not gonna lie to you. A part of me does think that it’d be best for you to stop seeing me. But, you know how they say that love is selfless. Well, that’s rubbish. I’m selfish and the idea of parting from you is too painful to even consider. I can’t lose you and I’ll be with you for as long as you let me.”

Before he knew what was happening, he had an armful of Buffy. Her lips found his and she poured all of her pent up emotions into the kiss. He could feel the relief, love, and the fear that wasn’t completely extinguished yet, in the way her tongue explored his mouth and her soft lips crushed his. She pulled away from him, tears streaming down her beautiful face.

“I’m sorry I’m such an idiot, but I was so scared I was going to lose you.”

“Never.”

He lifted her off the floor and she eagerly wrapped her legs around his lean hips to support herself while he walked her to the desk. Spike carefully put her down on it, keeping his arms wrapped tightly around her and his lips never leaving the velvety skin of her face. He kissed every inch of it, her forehead, her eyelids, the tip of her nose, her round cheeks, finishing with her mouth. But he was not nearly done, he was just started. His hands undid the strap that held her halter dress together, and the red silk fell around her waist, forgotten as soon as the satiny curves of her perky breasts were exposed to his starving eyes. He caressed the black satin of the low cut, strapless bra covering her breasts with the palm of his hand.

“That’s really sexy, luv. Too bad it’s gonna have to come off.” He whispered before unclasping the garment and throwing it over his shoulder with a satisfied smirk.

He couldn’t believe just how stunning she looked wearing almost nothing but the necklace he gave her, the rubies and diamonds shimmering against her golden skin. How she could have thought he’d be able to live without her was beyond him. He’d never let go of this goddess unless he was forced to, that’s for bloody damn sure. And even then, they’d have to drag him away kicking and screaming.

Buffy spread her legs wider to welcome him in the cradle of her warm thighs. She felt at home in his arms. For the first time in days, she felt like the burden of her worries had been lifted from her shoulders. She felt light headed and almost giddy with euphoria. Her man was back where he belonged and she wasn’t about to let him go. She’d meant it when she’d told Giles that she wouldn’t stop seeing Spike no matter what. And looking at him now, she knew he was worth the trouble. And not just because of how incredibly gorgeous he was and how she could lose herself in the ocean blue of his eyes; but because of the way he loved her. She could see it on his face, feel it in each and every one of his tender kisses. His heart was beautiful and it was all for her. She’d take care of it as if it was the most precious thing in the world, no matter the risks.

She watched the top of his blond head as he suckled on her puckered nipple and reclined back on her elbows to give him better access. She loved this. Not only because it sent tingles throughout her body and warmed her lower belly in anticipation, but also because of how erotic the sight was. He was sucking on her breast as if his life depended on it or it could give him the answers to the mysteries of life. His hands were roaming mindlessly over her flesh, trying to touch every inch of her at once. It made her arousal escalate to the point of near madness.

She pulled him back up so she could unbutton his shirt, needing the feel of his warm skin and hard muscles under her palms. Once she accomplished her task, Buffy put her arms around his neck to help lift herself off the desk. He pulled both the dress and her thong off of her and dropped them on the floor.

They met in a frantic tangle of limbs, his raging hard-on pressing intimately against her over sensitive sex. She whimpered in need and made it obvious she wasn’t all that interesting in dragging things on when she reached down to guide his rock hard shaft to her opening.

“Now, Spike. Please. William, I love you.”

“I love you too, Buffy. So much.”

He grunted in overwhelming pleasure when he was finally sheathed inside her, relishing the feel of her tight hot flesh surrounding him. This felt like heaven to both of them after missing each other so much. Especially now that his hands were free to do as they pleased. He held her face between his hands and kissed her softly on the lips before starting to move in a torturously slow rhythm within her.

The only thing that could be heard in the office were Buffy’s soft sighs and moans, and Spike’s grunts and whisper of passionate words. He braced himself on the desk with one hand on each side of her, and quickened his pace, bringing her to the edge, then slowing down again.

Buffy’s thoughts were all over the place, and full of contradiction. One second, she was begging for her release; the next, asking him to never stop. Spike’s cock filling her was the most amazing sensation she had ever experienced and she wrapped her legs firmly around his waist, trying to hold him to her, not willing to let him escape her warmth. But no matter how hard she tried, he kept pulling out, thankfully only to push back in a second later. That moment in between each thrust was torture to her. She hated the feeling of him leaving her and how empty she was when he wasn’t buried snuggly inside her pussy.

But no matter how much they wanted this to last forever, their bodies refused to listen, the pleasure too great for them to hold back the moment of their climax much longer.

The numbness spreading in Buffy’s limbs made it impossible for her to hold herself up any long so she lay down on the desk. Spike followed her, resting his chest against hers, loving the feel of her round breasts pressed against him. He hid his face in the crook of her neck and closed his eyes, inhaling the smell of her. She could feel how tensed his body was and knew what he needed.

“Let it go, baby. Don’t hold back.” Her hand reached up to caress his hair lovingly. “Come for me.”

She grabbed his firm ass cheeks in encouragement and that’s all he needed. Spike let go of his control and started thrusting hard and fast into her, his ass clenching with the effort. Buffy lifted her hips off the desk to meet his every thrust. She raised her arms above her head, not caring that she knocked a few papers and pens off the desk. With every deep push of his engorged shaft into her, Spike’s pelvis rubbed against her over sensitive clit and that was all she needed. Buffy bit on her hand to muffle the shout of his name as she came harder than she ever did before. The clenching of her inner walls around his cock pushed Spike over the edge. They kept their eyes open and locked with each others as they rode wave after wave of the intense pleasure.

Spent, Spike lay down on top of her, careful not to crush her under his weight, and captured her lips in a tender kiss.

“You’re bloody amazing, Buffy. Did I ever tell you what an amazing woman you are? Doesn’t matter if I did though, I think it needs to be said again and again.”

She smiled lazily and stretched like a contented kitten beneath him. “You’re the one who makes me amazing. Without you, I was nothing but a shell.” She reached out and caressed his cheek. “You’re perfect, you know that?”

He chuckled. “No I’m not.”

“Yes you are. You’re perfect for me. And I love you.”

(end of part 1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Celebration, part 2 by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: And that would be the end of the "holidays" chapters. I loved it and I think it turned out pretty good, but I'll have to say... Thank God. The holidays are long over and it's time for the story to move on. There's so much more to come and I hope you guys are still loving it. But before we do, here's part 2 of Celebration. I hope you'll enjoy it. Let me know.. Review! :D



CHAPTER 28: Celebration (part 2)




Spike’s happy mood dropped a notch when he noticed Buffy putting her dress back on. He frowned and pouted like a petulant child.

“What the bleedin’ hell do you think you’re doing there, missy?”

“Putting my dress back on.” She stated the obvious, playing innocent.

“I noticed that. But I thought this was going to be a… naked party of some sort.”

“First, YOU put you clothes back on, so I don‘t see why I should be the only one naked at your naked party.” Buffy said in a scolding tone while stalking to where he was sitting on the couch. “Second, I bought this damn dress for you, so I’m gonna wear it, and you’re gonna love it. Got it?”

“Yes ma’am.” Spike grinned at her when she came to sit on his lap, the bottle of champagne in her hand. He took the bottle from her and looked at the label. Perrier Jouet. “Fancy stuff. Especially for a man who’s tasted nothing but artificially flavored juice, instant coffee and water for the past eight months or so. Shouldn’t we keep this for midnight though?”

“Maybe…” Buffy coughed loudly and Spike frowned in concern. “But we risk being interrupted by Giles if we wait too long. It would be a shame to waste it.”

Spike ignored what she said, still concerned about her coughing fit. “You sick, pet?”

She pouted. “Yeah. But don’t worry; I saw the doctor and she gave me some antibiotics. I will be right as rain before you know it. Until then, you can gargle with the champagne, the alcohol will kill the bacteria. Wouldn’t want you to get sick too now would we?” She joked lightly.

“It was a rough couple of days.” She added softly. “I was upset and didn’t get much sleep. That’s probably why I got sick in the first place. But I’ll be fine now.”

He smiled at her, deciding to drop the subject. Their time together was always numbered and he didn’t want to waste it by going back on what happened. Seeing Buffy just looking at the bottle in her hands, he finally rolled his eyes and took it from her.

“Give me that. I can’t believe you’re scared of the big bad bottle of champagne.”

“Hey! I’m not scared of it. It’s just--things like that can turn into mighty dangerous weapons in my hands. I’d probably send the cork flying all over the room, it would bounce off a wall and come back to hit me in the eye. I love my eyes and don’t want anything to happen to them, that’s all.”

“Love your eyes too, kitten.” He kissed her on the nose and she blushed prettily.

In one swift motion, he had the bottle opened with a soft ‘pop’ and without spilling any of the precious bubbles. He poured the expensive treat into the two plastic glasses she had brought with her, and handed her one.

“Wow.” She said, clearly amazed. She frowned pensively. “You know you’re a complete mystery?”

“How’s that?”

“Well…” She drawled, not sure how to explain it.

“Come on, hit me with it. I open a bottle of champagne and you tell me I’m a mystery. That ought to make a man curious. So what brought this on?”

“I don’t know. It’s just that… you opened the bottle like an expert…”

“And the fact that I didn’t waste half the bottle by spilling it on the floor is a bad thing?”

“No. It just reminded me that I don’t know much about your past. Sure, you told me about how you ended here, but I mean, before that. I don’t know anything. What your life was like, how you ended up in California in the first place… that kind of stuff.”

Spike looked pensive for a moment, looking down at the glass he was holding. He finally took a deep breath. “And you got all that from the way I opened the bottle?”

“Yeah. It seemed natural. As if you’d opened bottles of champagne all your life.”

“Well, my dad was rich and he loved to impress his rich friends. So we always had champagne around the house.”

“Tell me more.” She asked, eager to find out everything she could about him.

“Why don’t we toast first, pet?”

She lifted a questioning eyebrow. “Is this your way of avoiding?”

“No. It’s my way of saying that this champagne is very tempting, and I’d also like to taste that delicious food you brought with you some time soon. So let’s toast, sit on the floor around the coffee table to eat, and then we can talk.” His eyes brightened with something close to lust when he spotted one of the food containers. “Are those chicken wings?”

Buffy chuckled. “Yes. And they’re spicy too.”

He licked his lips in anticipation.

She sighed exaggeratedly. “I just found out it IS possible to be jealous of chicken wings. Who would have known? If only you’d look at me like that…”

“Oi! I do so. It’s just that, these are the main course, and you’re the dessert. I’ll go back to looking at you with hunger when I’m done with the wings. Promise.”

They laughed and Buffy raised her glass. “Here’s to true love found when we least expected it and we both thought it would never happen, hopes of finding a way to overcome the obstacles lurking in front of us, and a new year that just HAS to be much better than the one we just left behind because there is no way it can be worst. Oh… and to chicken wings. Cheers.”

“Amen to that, pet. Cheers!”

Not taking their eyes off each other, they drank from their glasses.

“Is THAT Christmas pudding?” Spike asked excitedly before getting off the couch to go sit on the floor on the other side of the small table.

Buffy giggled at his childlike behavior and went to sit in front of him. “So that was a good idea then? I wasn’t sure.”

“Are you bloody kidding me? That’s a brilliant idea, pet!”

“The lady who owns the bakery close to my house is British. I talked to her this morning and when I told her my boyfriend was British and I wanted something special for him, she said that Christmas pudding is a big holiday tradition in the UK. She didn’t have any left for sale but she had some that she makes for her friends and family and since she likes me, she gave me one. If it’s as good as her croissants, it must be pretty amazing.”

He dug in the chicken wings and eagerly shoved one in his waiting mouth. “She said the truth. It is a big holiday tradition in England. But that’s not why I’m so happy. My grandmum used to make the best Christmas pudding in all the country. Nana would cook such an incredible feast for Christmas eve or New Year’s eve that I would make sure not to eat all day to make room for all the food she’d make. She was great. An old, wise and loving angel. She had white hair down to her waist that she’d always pull up into a complicated knot, smelled like candies, had a warm smile and sparkling blue eyes.”

“Is that where you get your eyes from?”

“We looked a lot alike, yeah.”

“What happened to her?” Buffy asked while helping herself to a generous portion of green curry chicken.

The only restaurant she had found that was open on New Year’s Eve was a Thai restaurant, but it was all good because Spike had already told her not too long ago that he loved Thai food. Then she had stopped at a pizza place to buy tons of chicken wings, another of Spike’s weaknesses. So they had green curry chicken, beef satay, coconut steamed rice and chicken wings. Enough food to feed an army, but at the rate Spike was shoving the food down his throat, it wouldn‘t be a problem at all.

“She died of cancer when I was eight. My life sucked after that because she was the only person in my family who gave a damn about me.”

Buffy looked up at him. “Don’t say that. I’m sure it’s not true. What about your mom and your dad?” She had such a loving relationship with her own mother that it was hard for her to believe that a mother could not love her own child. But the sadness in Spike’s eyes told her otherwise.

He snickered. “My mother left dad and I two years after nana‘s death. The day of my tenth birthday. The woman never loved me.”

“Spike. You are her son. How could she not love you?”

“Let’s just say I wasn’t her idea of the perfect son. My parents, Ethan and Cecily, both had flamboyant personalities. They were wealthy socialites and they always had something exciting going on in their lives. I can see why I wouldn’t be the kind of child they had dreamed of. I was a shy, romantic, introverted boy who would spend entire afternoon reading books or writing poetry under a tree at the far end of the estate. I was lonely but it didn’t bother me. The only kids my age I would hang out with were my parent’s friends’ children. And they always had a great time torturing me and making fun of my poetry. My parents had nothing else to say about it but that I should toughen up and stop embarrassing them. Mum--God bless her--once told one of her friends that she was ashamed to say I was her son. I overheard and never forgot those words. So you see, I doubt she had that much trouble leaving me behind.”

Buffy couldn’t quite meet his eyes. “Did you… love her?”

The chuckle he let out was devoid of any of humor. “With all my foolish young heart. Which made it even harder. The bloody bint never even mentioned my name in the note she left my dad that day. She said she wasn’t happy with her life, she needed to find herself, and that was it. Two years later, I got a postcard from her. I remember because it was a week after my birthday. It didn’t say anything about me, didn’t say that she missed me, that she apologized, that she loved me, not even a mention of my birthday. All it said was that she was doing well and that she had met someone and that Brazil was fabulous. Never heard from her again.”

“I’m sorry I brought it up, Spike.” Buffy whispered, playing with her chicken. She had lost her appetite.

“Don’t be. You were right; you should know these things about my past. Besides, it doesn’t hurt all that much anymore. I’m more angry than hurt.”

“What did your dad and you do after that?”

“My dad decided that we should move to the promised land. The bloody United States of bloody America. He wanted to do business here. We didn't have any trouble moving here because his parents were Americans so he had double citizenship and so do I. I learned to love it here--though I’m not so sure anymore--but at first, I hated it. The moving from one city to the other probably didn’t help any. I think we lived in ten different places in five years. New York, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Houston, Louisiana and finally, L.A. That’s where I drew the line. I told him I was going to finish high school and go to university there. He said fine, and left. I think he was glad to be rid of me. He always blamed me for my mom’s departure. So he sent money to pay for my expenses, but that was the only contact I had with him.”

A little voice in her head was telling her to shut up because the conversation was so emotional for him and she didn’t want to make it worst, but Buffy couldn’t help her curiosity. “Clem told me that…”

“He died?”

She nodded.

“Yeah, he did. Last time I heard from the bloody bastard was after I got arrested. I called him and he told me I was a disgrace to his name. Never heard his voice again. Two months later, just after I arrived here, I was told that he had been shot. Probably someone he owed money to who was tired of waiting for him to pay back. He left me all his money, which was absolutely nothing compared to the fortune we had when I was younger, but it’s still a bit of money. Clem is taking care of it for me.”

“Geez, way to bring the mood down with my stupid questions, huh? But I’m glad you told me all that. Sure, I could have chosen a better time to ask, but I want to know everything about you.”

He leaned over the table to give her a quick, chicken wing flavored, kiss. “Don’t worry about the mood, pet. Nothing could ruin this night. But since we’re into dark, depressing topics, you’ll have to share something too.”

“I guess that’s fair.” She served them a refill of champagne and then told him the story about her mom’s cancer.

“Well, pet, I can honestly say that this story contributed nicely to our little moping session.”

Buffy gave him her warmest smile, despite the seriousness of the conversation. “Oh no, don’t think it’s a sad story. I mean, yes, these were very hard days for our family. But some positive came out of it in the end.”

“Really? How so?” He asks, genuinely curious how she could turn her mother’s cancer into something positive.

“Well, for one thing, I will never take my mom for granted again. I now cherish every single moment I spend with her. Every second in her company is precious to me. If it hadn't happened, I would still think that mom would always be there. Also, before the whole thing happened, Dawn and I were the very picture of sibling rivalry. We loved each other, but we were arguing non stop. We still bicker, but it’s all in good fun and we grew closer because we had to rely on each other. I love that little brat and would give my life to protect her. That’s something I didn’t have before and I’m grateful for it.”

Spike was looking at her with undisguised admiration. Every reason he had to love her had been multiplied by a hundred after what she’d just told him. How could he not find the good in what had happened to him, when this woman sitting in front of him could find it in the darkest moment of her own life?

“You are so courageous, Buffy. I wish I could have your strength. Sure, you brought some light into my life, but when I’m not with you, it’s dark everywhere I look. ”

“Spike, don’t give up hope. I don’t think I’m strong enough to hope for both of us.”

“Hope for what, luv? It’s not like I have a future you know.”

He cut two portions of the Christmas pudding and served them in the little plastic plates she had brought. Buffy looked away to hide the tears that welled up in her eyes at his statement.

“Why can’t you hope? Don’t you have any faith in me? Do you think I’ll just sit back and watch you suffer in this goddamn hellhole? You know what I did when I woke up this morning and realized it was the last day of the old year? I promised myself that next year, we’d be celebrating New Year together, at home, surrounded by friends and family. I’ll cook all day and pray that it will be edible, you’ll help me by cleaning up the house and doing grocery runs for whatever I forgot to buy, you’ll complain about the tie I’ll make you wear saying that it makes you look like a pansy. Your friend Clem will come, and my mom and Dawn, and…”

With every word she said, Spike’s expression darkened. His jaw was clenched and he closed his eyes until he couldn’t take it anymore and had to stop her.

“Stop! Please, stop, Buffy. Do you have any idea what you’re doing to me?”

His words were hard, efficiently snapping her out of her little fantasy.

“W-what?..” She asked, confused by his outburst.

“Can’t you see? You put all those ideas in my head and make me believe. You dangle something I can never have in front of my eyes, but just out of reach.”

He stood up abruptly and started pacing. When he stopped to look at her, his face was angry, but his eyes were glistening with tears.

“What is this? Why are you saying these things to me? Do you really believe what you’re saying, or are you just cruel? I don’t get it! What are you thinking?! Do you have any soddin’ idea how much it hurts? Do you know how much I want all this? I dream about this every fucking night, Buffy. Every night. I want it all, but I won’t have it. I. WILL. DIE. HERE.” He spat the last words as if it were poison burning his tongue.

He was breathing hard, his chest constricted by the pain her words had awoken in him. It was always there, and the images she’d brought up reopened a wound he had been careful not to touch. But his anger came to a screeching halt, and his pain took a backseat to hers when he realized she was sobbing with her face in her hands. Her small body shaking from the force of her tears. She was mumbling something that he couldn’t hear.

Realizing what he had done, Spike rushed to her side and gathered her into his arms. “Oh God, Buffy…”

“I’m so sorry! I’m sorry, Spike. Please… so sorry.” She hiccupped, hiding her face against his chest, her hands clinging to his shirt. “I didn’t want to make you hurt, I swear. I just thought--I’m an idiot. I’m so sorry.”

“Buffy! Stop. Come on, pet. Stop crying, you’re gonna make me cry too. Please, kitten, look at me.” He took her face between his hands to force her to look at him. Her eyes were red and puffy, her cheeks wet with tears.

“I’m the one who should be sorry, not you. You have nothing to be sorry about. I’m a right bloody wanker for doing this to you. No matter how I feel, I should have had some control instead of going off like that. I know you meant well.”

“I didn’t want to hurt you. I just wanted… to give you hope.” Her voice was so low that he could barely hear what she said.

“Buffy, it‘s OK, pet. Don‘t cry. Hey--It‘s OK.”

She tried to look down, but he stopped her. “No. Look at me. What you’ve done for me tonight, it’s amazing. I had no right to act like this and ruin it. No one has ever done something like this for me, Buffy. No one. I can’t begin to tell you what it means to me that you’d go through all this trouble for me. And there I am, ruining it by being a selfish bastard. Don’t cry because of me, please.”

She threw her arms around his neck and hid her face against his shoulder, holding him to her. “I don’t want us to fight, Spike.” Her words were muffled by his shoulder.

“So let’s not.”

He held in his arms for the longest time, just caressing her hair and not saying anything. Then, he reluctantly pushed her away.

Her eyes searched his face for answers, wondering why he wasn’t holding her anymore. But he only smiled.

“The clock on that wall says its thirty seconds to midnight. I thought you’d want to know that.”

Her mouth opened in realization. “Oh! I almost forgot!”

They watched in silence as the seconds ticked by, then, when it hit midnight, their lips met in a heated kiss.

“Happy New Year, Buffy.” Spike said when they broke apart.

“Happy New Year, Spike. I love you.”

“I love you too… and I’m sorry for being such a buggering wanker earlier.”

“And I’m sorry for being such a buggering insensitive idiot earlier… whatever buggering means.”

They kissed again, lost in each other. This time, Buffy was the one to break the passionate lip lock. “Should we eat dessert, or keep making out?”

“Can’t we do both?”

She smiled. “I don’t see why not.”

Spike pulled her on his lap and started feeding her Christmas pudding, alternating between bites and kisses. That’s how Giles found them a couple of minutes later.

His already somber expression got worst when he realized something. “You didn’t lock the bloody door!”

Buffy paled. “Oh God! I forgot…”

“So much for being careful, Buffy.” Giles snapped at her. “But that’s the least of our worries right now.”

Both Buffy and Spike stood up at once.

“Why? What’s going on?”

“Turns out, the excuse I used to get you here wasn’t as unjustified as I thought it was. A riot started in the cafeteria ten minutes ago. We contained it, but Devon got hurt. He’s in a bad shape and I’m not sure he’ll make it. He was rushed to the hospital. Jake was with him and he’s really shaken.”

“Shit. Anybody else was hurt?” She asked while readjusting her clothes.

“A few prisoners, but nothing too serious. You’d better come with me. We’ll drop Spike by the infirmary on the way.”

“Why?”

“Because that’s where he’s supposed to be right now. That was the excuse I used to buy him time with you. Let’s go.”

Giles put the handcuffs back on Spike’s wrists and the two blondes followed him out of the office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Support in rough times by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 29: Support in rough times



“Be nice to prison boys,” Faith snickered after taking a vicious bite out of her double chocolate doughnut. “Offer them a midnight gathering in the cafeteria with half-decent food to celebrate New Year, and they turn it into something bloody. I mean, Devon was no angel, but he still didn’t deserve this. It could have been me, you know?”

“No Faith, it wouldn’t have been you. The only reason it happened to him is because Devon never respected the prisoners and by acting the way he did, he made himself a main target for their anger.” Willow said while blowing on the steam rising from her cup of coffee. The week’s events had left her usually perky voice flat and lifeless, and her tired green eyes didn‘t have their familiar spark.

Buffy remained silent, staring pensively out the window of the coffee shop at the passerbys. The Espresso Pump was bursting with activity, crammed with loud and cheery people, but the happy atmosphere wasn’t nearly enough to chase away the gloom at the table by the window. Willow, Faith and herself had stopped for comfort food and coffees after the guard’s funeral, hoping to calm their raging emotions. They had asked Giles to come with them, but he had declined saying that a stiff drink was waiting for him at home.

The past week had been hell for all the prison staff. It had been even harder on Buffy. The warden had been the one to contact Devon’s family to tell them the gruesome new, then she’d spent the week going back and forth between Sunnydale and L.A. to hand out reports, talk in front of an assembly of men in suits who looked at her as if she was the cause of the guard’s death, and sign paperwork. She was emotionally drained.

“It wouldn’t have happened to you.” The redhead continued, trying to sooth Faith‘s restless agitation and anger over New Year‘s drama. “You know how the guys respect you and how protective of you they can get. Remember when that new inmate tried to attack you?”

“Yeah, the poor dude got some major ass-whupping for that one.” Faith managed a small smile at the memory. “Good times.”

The brunette sighed heavily and they all remained silent for a moment, lost in their own not-so-happy thoughts.

“I know it happened at Donovan last month--a guard got stabbed in the yard--” Faith finally said, breaking the heavy silence. “But that’s something I never thought would happen in our neck of the woods. Things are always so quiet at SunnyD that it came as a shock. I always thought we ended up with all the fluffy puppies of the criminal world.”

Willow smiled slightly at the comment, but Buffy didn’t react. Faith gave Willow a meaningful look. Both women had noticed Buffy’s uncharacteristic silence and they were worried about her.

“B? Are you all right?”

It took a moment, but finally processing the fact that she was ‘B’ and therefore, she was the one Faith was talking to, she turned to look at her.

“I’m sorry. What did you say?”

“I said, are you all right? You haven’t said a word since we arrived here. You’re getting me all worried and I’m not used to caring. So spill before my brain explodes.”

Buffy took a sip of her now cold vanilla latte before answering. “Jim dandy. Why? Should I have a reason not to be on board the happy train?”

“Hey, sarcasm girl, chill. Excuse me for caring.” Faith snapped.

The blonde looked down, ashamed by her own attitude. “Sorry, Faith. I didn’t mean to sound like a bitch. It’s just…”

“Too much emotion for a week?” Willow provided helpfully.

“Yeah, that. It feels like I’m stuck in a tornado and it won’t let me go until I’m dizzy enough.”

“Not in Kansa anymore, Dorothy?” Faith smiled slightly.

“Nope. More like the mouth of Hell if you ask me. This week has been so intense and crazy that I can’t even think straight anymore. I can’t wait to get my life back. After hearing the news on TV, my mom left about ten messages on my answering machine, along with the other forty I had waiting, and I haven’t had time to call her back yet.”

“You’re mom worries about you?” Faith whistled. “Nice. You know, I’ve heard of mothers caring about their kids, but it never happened to me so I assumed that was fairytale bullshit.”

“I’m sure your mom understands, Buffy. And if she got it from the news, she probably knows you’re fine. They did say the victim was a male…” She looked at the two women sitting at the table with her. “Didn’t they? I think they did, but you can never be sure. Because if they didn’t, then that’d be of the bad. She could think…”

“They did, Willow.” Buffy interrupted before the redhead’s babbling got too out of hand. “Doesn’t matter though. She still worries about me and now, she’s going to worry even more. She knows the prison is a rough work environment. Hearing that a guard was killed at my prison isn’t gonna give her warm happy feelings. But that’s not why I’m so upset. The guy was under my protection. All of you are. And I let that happen to him. I should have prevented it.”

Faith snorted at that comment. “What’s with the super hero complex, girl? Give me a break… No one could have prevented this and you know that. The only way to avoid a riot would be to have the guys locked up 24/7. Things like that are bound to happen. Especially since they’re getting more clever every day when it comes to making weapons from scratch. If those damn bastards used their brains as much for studying as they use it to come up with new and interesting ways to hurt others, the prison would be full of doctors, lawyers and engineers.”

“That’d be interesting. We could turn the prison into a genius factory.” Willow added, her green eyes dancing with humor.

They all chuckled but their mirth died quickly. Buffy sighed.

“I feel like such a hypocrite. I mean… here I am, all upset, and I didn’t even like the guy. He devoted all his waking hours to talking behind my back and making sure that everybody hates me.”

“It’s normal you feel that way, Buffy. When someone dies, people usually spend hours saying nice things about that person and how they’re going to miss him. But Devon wasn’t really nice.”

“Did you know him well?” Buffy asked Willow.

Faith snorted and Buffy gave her curious look.

“What?” Then she jumped to the wrong conclusion and looking at the red head, her eyes widened in shock. “You didn’t sleep with him, did you?”

Faith burst out laughing and Willow turned red.

“God, NO!”

“Then why did you laugh, Faith?”

“Because it’s kinda funny how Will hated the guy’s guts, and yet, owes him her sappy romantic love story. It’s deliciously ironic… But I think Miss Smarty-pants should be the one to tell the story.”

Buffy looked at Willow expectantly.

“It’s no big deal, really. It’s just that--well--Devon used to be the front man for Dingoes Ate My Baby before they were known. He was a jerk, but one day, he came to work and invited everybody to his gig at The Bronze. I hated his guts, but you know me… I’m a softy. So when I found out no one was going, I decided to be nice and stop by. That’s how I met Oz. A few weeks later, the guys decided to kick Devon out of the band and Oz became the lead singer. After that, Devon started calling me Yoko. As if I had anything to do with him getting kicked out of the band” Willow pouted, obviously still upset.

Buffy didn’t know what to say. “Wow. That’s… wow. So I guess I’m not the only one with conflicted feelings here today?”

“Nope. Make that two of us.”

“Hey! What about me?” Faith huffed, annoyed at being left out. “I have conflicted feeling too you know.”

“That’s hardly front page news, Faith.” Buffy pointed out, a smirk on her face. The brunette narrowed her eyes threateningly, but didn’t answer.

“Did something happen with Devon?” Willow asked, unable to help her curiosity.

“You bet! I kicked his ass good and proper once. I had just started at SunnyD and Devon thought his seniority gave him the right to try the goods. He cornered me one night in the lunch room and tried to feel me up. Let’s just say he left the room with a nasty black eye and couldn’t sit for a week. I’m sure his balls where the size of grapefruits when I was done with him. Or maybe just regular size since he had very small ones to start with. ”

“And now that he’s dead, you’re feeling guilty about this?” Willow asked with a warm, compassionate smile.

Faith snickered. “As if. I just wanted to share a funny story to cheer you girls up.”

Willow rolled her eyes while Buffy tried in vain to suppress her laughter. But all the stress she had accumulated over the past week was suddenly too much for her and she started giggling madly. Her hilarity was contagious and it didn’t take long for the two other women to give in. Soon, they were all in hysterics with people at the tables around giving them strange looks.

When Buffy calmed down enough to speak, she wiped the tears from her eyes and looked at her two friends.

“You do realize we’re nuts, right?”

“Speaking for myself, I’ve always been on the crazy side of the tracks so I’m not too worried. But I seriously think the last week would have turned anybody wacko. I‘m just shocked that we haven’t been trying on straight jackets for size yet. ” Faith winked playfully at Buffy.

“At least, we can still laugh. So I think there is hope for us.” Willow added cheerfully.

Buffy smiled at her childhood friend. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy walked into the cafeteria, closely followed by Giles and Faith. The rest of the staff was already there waiting for her to arrive. Two hundred and forty six inmates were gathered in the room, sitting at the tables. Their usual rowdiness had been somewhat toned down by the seriousness of the situation. Even the ones currently in isolation had been brought out to hear what the warden had to say. The only ones who would be missing the speech were the twelve who were locked away permanently in what they called the ‘prison inside the prison’. These were guys who had committed crimes while inside, and that included the two guys who had attacked Devon on that fateful night of New Year’s Eve. But they didn’t need to hear her speech because they’d already had their own version of it when Buffy had stopped by for a personal visit. Unfortunately for them, their version had been a whole lot scarier than the one the rest of the guys were about to hear.

The guards, as well as the other staff members, all looked up when the woman they now recognized as their boss walked in. Her gaze was glacial, her body rigid with barely controlled rage. The inmates instantly started whispering amongst themselves, the hushed sound growing louder as Buffy stood there in silence. The longer she remained immobile and quiet, the more confused both staff and prisoners became. It lasted until her cold stare started making everybody uncomfortable. One by one, the prisoners shut their mouths, until silence was finally restored. Almost.

One man kept talking, not caring that he could be heard, and showing a lack of respect that was typical of him. Buffy focused her murderous stare on the dark haired prisoner, but he seemed oblivious. When he chuckled at some clever comment he’d made, she lost it.

In three quick strides, she was in the prisoner’s face, grabbing him roughly by the front of his shirt and lifting him slightly off the chair in her fury. “Do you think it’s funny, Parker? Do you? Cause watch me not laugh.”

She held his glare steadily until he looked down, intimidated by the hatred he saw in the young woman’s eyes.

Buffy finally turned to look at two of the guards standing there. “Take him away to the hole. See who’s laughing now.”

She smiled coldly as both of Parker’s arms were grabbed by the guards and he was lifted off the chair.

“Anybody else thinks it’s funny?”

She waited a beat for an answer, but the inmates were all looking down in silence. Even Spike, who was sitting with Gunn right next to where she was standing, couldn’t quite look at her.

“Didn’t think so.”

But as the guards attempted to put the handcuffs on an enraged Parker, the prisoner managed to shove them away and lunged at Buffy. In a heartbeat, Spike was on his feet to interfere, closely followed by Gunn. To her credit, Buffy didn’t flinch or even back away. She just stood there glaring menacingly at Parker while more guards rushed to her side, worried that this would turn into another riot.

Spike put himself protectively between the warden and Parker while Gunn held the other prisoner back from behind, his arms wrapped painfully tight around the smaller man.

“What the bloody hell did you think you were doing there, you stupid git?” Spike said, his voice dangerously calm. The look in his eyes was a promise of excruciating pain in Parker’s near future if he didn’t back off.

“Attempting to wipe the smile off that fucking whore’s face. That’s what.”

Spike took a step forward, his self-control wearing thin. No one called Buffy a whore. She put her hand on his arm to stop him, and he did, but the clenching and unclenching of his fists and the tension in his jaw told her that one more word from Parker and Spike would lose it. She prayed that the bastard would shut his mouth; she didn‘t want Spike to get into a fight with him.

“Watch it, mate. The bird’s doing her job, just like Devon was. He might have been a right bastard, but he didn’t deserve what happened to him. It’s wankers like you that make all our lives miserable in here. So maybe you should take a moment to rethink what you were about to do. I wager you’ll have a lot of time alone in the hole to think, so use it. And if you don’t see the light and still feel like attacking the warden, you and me will have a go. You can be sure of it. Now bugger off.”

As if on cue, the two guards, angry that they had let Parker escape their hold, pushed him roughly face first against a table and slapped the handcuffs on his wrists.

The whole room watched in silence as Parker was led away. Buffy turned to Gunn and Spike and gave them a quick grateful nod.

“Thank you. Both of you. You’re Gunn, right?” She asked the tall black man.

“Yes ma’am. Don’t worry, it was nothing. Parker’s an asshole.”

She smiled at the comment, her eyes darting to Spike. He was trying to pretend that nothing happened, but she could tell he was upset. Deciding not to say anything and thank him in private instead, she turned back to the room.

“Life just got a whole lot harder… for all of you. Leaders, followers, innocent, guilty, I don’t give a fuck. I try to keep life bearable for you in here, and THAT’S HOW YOU THANK ME?! Mark my words: you will all pay for this heinous crime. The next month will be HELL.” She paused to look around the room, making sure she put her point across. “Maybe this way, next time some smart ass decides to start a party, you’ll stop him instead of following like sheep. You lost my trust and now you’ll have to work to get it back. Let the lesson be learned.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was emotionally exhausted after talking to everybody for more than half an hour, describing the punishment in detail and laying out the new rules that would be applied for the next month. She was now walking down a hall with Giles and Faith after leaving the cafeteria and the protesting prisoners, when a small group of the guards stopped her.

“Ms. Summers?”

She turned to face them, unsure of what they wanted. She looked up at the one who had addressed her, a tall black guy who looked like a bodybuilder. For a second, she tried remembering his name. Roger?… no, Raymond.

“Yes, Raymond. Is there something wrong?” She looked questioningly at the five other guards standing a step behind him.

The black giant looked almost embarrassed. He couldn’t quite meet her eyes when he spoke. “We’ve been talking, Ms. Summers. Ya know… After all that happened this week and all that. We just thought, well…”

Buffy sighed tiredly. “What is it you want to tell me, Raymond?”

Her voice was lifeless, as if she’d used all the energy she had left to speak to the prisoners and now the fight had drained out of her. If these guys were there to tell her how incompetent she was or how much they hated working for her, she wouldn’t have the strength to even answer, let alone to defend herself.

“We’ve acted like real jerks towards you Ms. Summers. That wasn’t right.”

There were a few nods from the men behind him. Buffy frowned in confusion, but let him finish what he had to say.

“Since you arrived here, we did everything we could to make your life horrible and you didn’t deserve that. You’re doing a great job here and we wanted to say that we’re sorry and you can count on us to back you up from now on.”

Buffy was dumbfounded and it took her a few moments to collect her thoughts and get over her shock. She finally managed a smile, eyes bright with the tears she was not going to shed in front of them.

“Thank you… All of you. You have no idea how much this means to me.”

She could at least say that today, she’d won a battle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey... and don't forget my reviews. It's like my pay check lol Need it. OK, fine. I know I haven't been good and it took me a long time to update, but that doesn't mean I deserve to be punished. Does it? I hope not. Is it my fault if I have to work, damn it? Alright, I promise to be good from now on. I've already started writing chapter 30 and 31 so the next update should be soon. Come on guys, give me some feedback :)
Intervention by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Chapter 30: Intervention




The door bell rang for the third time when Buffy finally decided to get up to investigate who had the audacity to so rudely interrupt her sleep. Didn’t matter that it was three in the afternoon… still rude.

She put on her baby blue satin robe and matching fluffy slippers and tiredly dragged her feet to the front door. There, on her porch, stood almost everybody she knew. Her jaw dropped and she stared at them, unable to form a word.

Cordelia, holding Camille in her arms, led the pack. One step behind her where Xander, Willow, Dawn and Joyce, and they were all wearing smiles that were almost creepy in their put on cheerfulness.

“What a lovely vision you are, Miss Summers. The ‘I-just-rolled-out-of-bed’ look suits you.” Cordelia said, fake smile still firmly in place.

Buffy glared at her friend, still too groggy to think of a suitable reply.

“You do know it’s, like, three in the afternoon, right?” Dawn commented. She was the only one who didn’t bother hiding her amusement at the pathetic sight her sister presented.

“Didn’t know there was a law stating that I have to get up in the a.m. But then again, I’m no lawyer so what do I know?.. What are you guys all doing here?”

“The L.A. gang is here to cheer you up Sleepy-head.” Cordelia exclaimed with enthusiasm. You could take the girl out of the cheerleader’s squad, but you certainly couldn’t take the cheerleader out of the girl.

Cordelia turned to the others, waiting for them to approve. “Isn’t that right?”

Everybody nodded vigorously, except Joyce.

“Technically, I live in San Francisco, so…”

“And I live here in Sunnydale.” Willow added, frowning slightly.

But at Cordelia’s raised eyebrow, they both hurriedly changed the subject and decided it was safer to agree with her.

“Cordy is right, honey. We’re all here to see how you’re doing and show you support after the horrible week you probably just had.”

There it was, Buffy thought. The worried-mom look. She tried her best to smile comfortingly at her mom, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“Look guys, that was nice of you and all, but…”

Xander, who was loaded with bags, pushed his way through the door. Buffy didn’t have a choice but to step aside to avoid a collision.

“We’ve got food.” He said as a form of excuse.

Everybody else followed him inside, ignoring Buffy’s groan of protest.

“What IS this? An intervention? I appreciate the thought, really, I do. But I’m not depressed, I’m TIRED. And what is the best way to help tired people?.. Letting them sleep!” She waited for a reaction from the invaders, but they merely started setting the table. “Please?”

Buffy’s brain was having a hard time processing what had just happened. One minute, she was comfortably cocooned in her warm bed, the next, she was in the living room and there’s a bunch of people happily chatting and moving around in her kitchen. The smell of food, probably lunch if the smell was any indication, made her grimace in disgust. All she wanted was a very strong cup of coffee, maybe a toast, and some peace and quiet. She wouldn’t get what she wanted any time soon.

**God, what is this smell?.. Lasagna?! Ew.**

Seeing her big sister turning slightly green, Dawn walked up to her. She took Buffy’s hand and started tugging her towards the stairs.

“C’mon. Let’s get you all decent and pretty.”

“I don’t wanna.” Buffy whined.

Dawn stopped and turned to look at her. “What,” She whispered in a conspiratorial tone “You don’t want to get away from the cheerful intervention? I thought…”

She giggled when Buffy perked up at the thought and quickly nodded. They made their way to her bedroom and Dawn closed the door behind them. But when Buffy ran and took a dive into her bed, swiftly pulling the sheets over her head, Dawn’s mouth opened in disapprobation.

“Hey!.. That’s not… HEY! You’re cheating you big freak! I brought you here to get you dressed, not go back to bed.”

Buffy’s face reappeared from beneath the sheets, but only long enough so she could speak. “And I told you I don’t WANNA.” And she disappeared again.

“God, you‘re such a baby. Anybody looking at us right now would definitely think that you’re the college kid and I’m the mature adult. You do realize that, right?” She sighed when she didn’t get an answer. “Fine. Be that way.”

Dawn took her shoes off and climbed into bed with her infuriating sister. “Come on, move over, you bed hog.”

Buffy scooted over to give Dawn some room, and sighed contentedly when her not-so-little sister put her arm around her and cuddled. After a moment spent in that peace and quiet Buffy had been dreaming of since the moment her friends had walked in, Dawn spoke again.

“So Buff… What up?”

“Dawn! Don’t say that! ‘Wassup’ was already bad enough, now you kids had to go and remove the ‘s’ all together? That sounds so dumb.”

“And it also makes you feel like an old fart, doesn’t it?”

Buffy pouted. “Yeah.”

The brunette giggled, her blues eyes sparkling with mischief. “All right. What’SSsss up then? How come you’re not happy to see us? And what’s with your sudden inability to get your ass out of bed?”

“What’s wrong with sleeping the day away? I’ve had a rough week and it’s my day off. ”

“Yeah, I figured that much after I called you for the tenth time and you still haven’t called me back. So… That bad huh?”

“Yep. But it’s over now and everything seems to be back in order. Except that I’m exhausted. I think you’re right. I am an old fart.”

They smiled at each other.

“I’m always right. I get that from mom.”

“Smart ass.”

Dawn grinned at the comment, but her smile vanished quickly. “… You’re not happy to see us then?”

Buffy played with a strand of her sister’s long chocolate hair and waited a beat before answering.

“Of course I am. All my favorite people in the world here to show me support. How could I not be? But…”

“But you didn’t feel like having company today?”

“Something like that, yeah. But it’s ok. I’ll get out of bed, put on some clothes and a happy smile. I’m fine, Dawnie. I swear.”

The younger girl hesitated for a moment. “It’s not your fault what happened to that guy. I know you have a tendency to hold yourself responsible when something bad happens, like with Tara…”

“I know, Dawn. But I can’t help feeling a little bit guilty. The fact that I was spending some quality time with Spike when it happened…”

“Has NOTHING to do with it. If you hadn’t been with Spike, you would have been here, or in San Francisco with Mom and I. Same diff. Don’t go thinking it was some kind of punishment for spending time with your sweetie. Shit like that happens. At least, now you know not to throw the prisoners a Valentine’s Day bash.”

Buffy snickered. “Cute.”

Dawn grinned and disentangled herself from her sister’s arms to get up. “I know. Come on. Get up and put on that happy smile. I’ll go get you some clothes.”

Buffy sat up while her little sister disappeared in the walk-in closet. There was a soft knock on the door.

“Yeah?”

The door opened to reveal Cordelia.

“Hey Cord.”

“Hey yourself. Can I come in?”

Buffy’s eyebrows shot up in mocked surprise. “Since when are you all Miss Polite? Who are you and what have you done to my Cordelia?”

“You’re a riot, Summers. You know I can be polite… sometimes.” She sat on the bed next to Buffy. “Where’s Dawn?”

“In there stealing all my clothes.” She motioned with her head toward the closet door. “She said she was gonna find clothes for me to wear, but I’m pretty sure she’s putting half my stuff in a bag so she can sneak back in later and take it with her to L.A.”

There was a muffled “Hey! I heard that!” from the closet and Buffy and Cordelia both smiled at the familiarity of the scene. Dawn borrowing Buffy’s clothes had been the sisters’ number one argument topic when they were younger.

When it seemed obvious that Cordelia wouldn’t elaborate on why she was there, Buffy sighed and asked.

“So, are you here to ask me ‘what’s up’ too, or is there another reason you wanted to see me alone?”

“Well…” Her best friend looked down at her hands, hesitant, which was very uncharacteristic of her.

“Well what?”

“I was just wondering if you’re still trying to find a way to prove that your ‘boyfriend’ is innocent. I know with everything that happened since the holidays, you probably didn’t have much time to work on it.”

Buffy frowned, wondering where her friend was going with this. “Yes. I’m still trying. Not right now because things have been a bit crazy for me, but I’m not going to give up if that’s where you’re going with this.”

Cordelia stood up and handed Buffy what looked like a business card. She took it and looked at it curiously.

“No, that’s not where I’m going. I’ve been thinking about your situation and I realize that you’re going to go through with this. So I thought of this friend of mine who could help you. Give him a call. I already talked to him and he said he’d give you his ‘friendly price’. Believe me, his usual prices are not so friendly.”

Her eyes still on the card, Buffy didn’t know what to say. “Thanks Cordy. It means a lot…”

“Hey, don’t mention it.” She tossed her long hair over her shoulder and gave the blonde her brightest smile, her usual confidence firmly back in place. “Get dressed. Lunch is ready.”

Cordelia walked out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

“What was that?” Dawn asked, walking back into the bedroom with an armful of clothes.

“Not sure, Dawnie. I’ll find out tonight.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was sitting at the kitchen table, a cup of coffee and the phone in front of her. Everybody had left about an hour ago and she’d been sitting there since. The sun had set, leaving her in the dark, the only light coming from the halogen spots above the breakfast bar. She turned the business card in her hand, looking at it as if she’d just seen it for the first time. She was stalling and she knew it. So she grabbed the phone and dialed the number quickly before she could change her mind.

“Wyndham-Pryce Investigations, How may I help you?”

“Mr. Wyndham-Pryce ? My name is Buffy Summers. A friend of mine gave me your number… She said you could help me.”

“Ah. Miss Summers. Yes. Cordelia told me you might call. Please, you can call me Wesley.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I'll try to post another chapter before leaving for vacation next Friday. I promise to do my best. Please leave me a review to let me know what you think of this chapter. It's much appreciated, believe me.
Cyber virgin by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Hum... yeah, I know. I did promise this update BEFORE my vacation. And I did finish it on time, but my beta couldn't edit it before I left. Long story short, I tried updating from the hotel's internet station, but it wouldn't let me open the file. Anyway, here it is and I hope you'll enjoy it. Lots of sexiness :) And now, with the shameless self-promotion. If like me, you're suffering from winter blues, you might enjoy my new fic Aloha my love. Lots of sun, romance and beach fun for our two favorite blondes. OK, not so much with the sun for Spike cause that wouldn't end well, but you get what I'm saying. If you've read the first chapter on my site a while ago, you might want to read it again. I changed it a bit. All right, I let you read now. Enjoy, and review!



Chapter 31: Cyber virgin



Spike put the paint buckets down and rolled up his sleeves. Gunn was still pouting so he tried ignoring him. The wanker hadn't stopped bitching for the past twenty four hours about being treated like everybody else. Spike hadn't expected anything when he'd jumped to Buffy's help and wasn't surprised at all that he'd have to go through all the punishments just like everybody else. He knew Buffy couldn't risk having someone question her actions by giving him special treatment. But when she had described what everybody would have to do and what the new rules were going to be over the next month, Gunn had just assumed that it didn't apply to them because they had helped her. So when he'd learned that just like everybody else, he'd be allowed only one visit a week, one phone call a week and one hour of free time a day, not to mention all the chores she had planned for them, he hadn't been too thrilled. He still wasn't.


"Damn! You'd think they'd give us the 'warden saviors treatment'. Maybe some fried chicken and a beer. But noooo. Instead, were stuck here painting the fucking fence like everybody else, with half the guys giving us murderous looks. That's not the kind of gratefulness I was expecting."

Losing patience, Spike smacked Gunn behind the head with a paint brush. 'Would you shut your bloody gob about this? We helped because it was the right soddin' thing to do. Not because we were expecting some kind of special treatment."

"Maybe that's why you did it, you being all British and gentlemanly. But I did it because you were about to get your face broken... And because she's kinda hot and I don't like seeing hot chicks being slapped around by a little bitch like Parker." Gunn knelt down to open the bucket. "But I was at least hoping we'd get to watch and laugh while everybody else did the chores."

"News flash, mate. You don't always get rewarded for doing something good. Besides, we're already in enough trouble as it is. In case you haven't noticed yet, everybody here, except the two geeks of doom, want to kick our arses for helping the bloody warden. Miss Summers probably knew that if she'd do us any favours, it'd be like signing our death sentence. Now shut up and paint."

Gunn started dipping his brush in the paint, but stopped when he saw what Spike was doing. The blonde man was busy lighting up a cigarette, leaning casually against the wall.

"What do you think you're doing?" Charles shouted indignantly. "You think I'm gonna paint while you're just standing there doing nothing?"

"Not doing nothing, mate. I'm watching to make sure you don't miss a spot. Being bloody helpful, is what I am."

Gunn threw a brush at him and Spike ducked just in time to avoid it, chuckling as he did.

"No bleedin' sense of humor." He bent down to pick up the brush and started working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------


Buffy sat at her desk at home, working on some paper work. She had left the computer on all day, not wanting to miss Spike if he got online. Thanks to her own stupid rules, he only had an hour of free time a day, and that for the next three weeks. And hour of free time, an hour of yard time, and meals. The rest of the prisoners' time would be used for the various chores her evil brain came up with. She was almost surprised Spike hadn't been pissed at her for making his own personal Hell even more Hellish. To be honest, when she had decided that the most effective way to make sure prisoners understood that riots would not be tolerated would be to punish everyone instead of just the instigators, she'd had a moment of hesitation when the thought of Spike crossed her mind. But she had gone against the impulse to be lenient on Spike's account; she couldn't not do her job because she was in love with one prisoner. That kind of attitude would only lead to badness. So that day, while speaking to the convicts, she had carefully avoided Spike's gaze, afraid that looking at him would make her resolve crumble. She had gone through with the punishment... which led to her current state of pouting. Yes, Buffy Summers, warden extraordinaire, was pouting like an upset little girl.

She wanted to hear Spike's voice but couldn't. They had agreed that he would keep his weekly phone calls for emergencies, or for the end of the week. Today being Monday night, the 'end of the week' thing couldn't be used. And there were no emergencies so to speak...

**I miss him, damn it. Doesn't that count as an emergency?** She thought in a way that even she found childish.

She knew she sounded like a spoiled brat, but she couldn't help herself. She just wanted to hear the sound of his voice. Instead, she was stuck waiting for him to instant message her, or email her. And that was if he'd even get online, which was a big 'if'. The prison only had ten computers for everybody's use. They could all be taken... or he could be busy doing something else, or he could...

Groaning in frustration, Buffy pushed aside the file she had been working on and put her head in her hands. It was almost 9 p.m. If he wasn't online by now, that meant he wouldn't be at all.

As if on cue, the MSN window popped up. Buffy's frown vanished in an instant, replaced by a brilliant smile.

[Bloody_poet] Hello Cutie

[Anne_pet] Hey Sexy. Been waiting for you all day :::pouts::: Missed you

[Bloody_poet] Sorry luv. Don't like to keep my girl waiting. But I have been waiting for the soddin' computer for hours. I put my name on the waiting list, but even the geek in charge of the room—who just happens to be my number one fan—couldn't get me in faster.

[Anne_pet] It's OK. You're here now. Wait. You have a fan? :D lol

[Bloody_poet] 's not bloody funny. The kid is a soddin' nuisance and I have to put up with him every time I want to email you.

[Anne_pet] Awww. Poor baby. The things you wouldn't do for me. Is it that little blonde guy who's into comic books and Sci-Fi stuff? The only time I talked to him, he compared me to some female super hero and went on and on about X-Men. He said something like "You are deceptively tiny and girlie, and yet, you hold the power to bestow unspeakable pain upon men. I can see you as a sexy comic book heroine."

[Bloody_poet] You'd need a costume. Would you consider leather?

[Anne_pet] In your dreams. Anyway, was that the guy you were talking about?

[Bloody_poet] That would be Andrew, yeah.

[Anne_pet] Geez, now I really do feel sorry for you. Do annoying people follow you everywhere you go? First your cellmate, now the comic book rat... Want me to send him somewhere else? Cafeteria duty maybe?

[Bloody_poet] No, don't worry about it. That'd be too cruel. The computer room is his sanctuary. Take him away from it would be like taking me away from my library.

[Anne_pet] All right then. Can't say I didn't offer. I just don't like my man to suffer.

Buffy reclined in her chair, making herself more comfortable. She rested her bare legs sideways on the desk and put the keyboard in her lap. Spike had an hour, and she intended to greedily use every second of his free time to talk to him.

[Bloody_poet] Where are you right now, pet? Just want a visual...

[Anne_pet] In what I call my office away from the office. It's my computer room.

[Bloody_poet] Bit more specific? Give me details; I just want to imagine I'm there with you.

[Anne_pet] Hum, details? OK, let's see... The walls are a dark shade of purple. On my right, there is a large window that takes almost the entire wall and gives me a view on the backyard. It has chiffon curtains same color as the walls but lighter, with gold embroidery. There's also a large painting in a tarnished gold frame on the wall behind me. It's of the ocean right after sunset when the sky is still reddish, with dark blue and some mauve. Very beautiful. Then, of course, you have my desk with my computer and all the gadgets that come with it... printer and all that stuff. It's covered with bills, envelopes, papers... you know me lol. And last, but not least... the piece of furniture that makes my designer friend, Cordelia, fall on her knees and beg me to get rid of it every time she sees it: an old, ratty, grey padded office chair that I stole from my mom when I left home. That thing must be at least a 100 years old, but it's comfy and I like it even if it doesn't go with the decor. Was that detailed enough for you?

[Bloody_poet] Yeah sweets, it was. Almost feels like I'm there. But you forgot a detail.

[Anne_pet] Huh? I did?

[Bloody_poet] What are you wearing?

Buffy blushed, suddenly realizing where he was going with this. But she wasn't against trying something new. Plus, she felt like her hormones had been doing the crazy dance of horniness lately... probably from being Spike-deprived. Maybe this would help.

[Anne_pet] Snow suit? Very ugly one too. Brown.

[Bloody_poet] L You're no fun, pet.

[Anne_pet] And you have a very depraved mind, Mr. Pervert. For your information, I'm... :::blushes:::

[Bloody_poet] You're what luv? You know you can tell me anything.

[Anne_pet] I'm a—cyber virgin.

[Bloody_poet] lol

[Anne_pet] (offended) Are you laughing at me?

[Bloody_poet] And so I repeat: What are you wearing?

[Anne_pet] I might be a cyber virgin, but even I know that's not very original.

[Bloody_poet] It's a classic. Come on, baby. I'd very much like to be your cyber first... and only. I'll be all gentle like, and I promise to make it good for you. So. What are you wearing?

[Anne_pet] Not much actually. Just took a bath. I have my baby blue satin robe on and nothing else. It barely covers my thighs. My hair is still wet and... I smell like vanilla and cinnamon.

There was a long pause before Spike answered and she was starting to worry that he might have lost the connection. Finally, she saw "Bloody_poet is typing" and she waited for his reply.

[Bloody_poet] You sure you've never done this before, you little minx? You nearly made me come in my pants. I wish I'd have some privacy. Suggestion to the warden: invest in some sound proof booths in computer room for cyber sex.

[Anne_pet] I'm sure the warden would have a hard time justifying that expense. Private booths so prisoners can play with themselves while on the internet. I don't see that going over well with everybody. But seriously... I don't want to torture you. Maybe we should stop...

[Bloody_poet] It's sweet torture, kitten. Plus, it'll give me something to fantasize about tonight.

[Anne_pet] Spike?

[Bloody_poet] Yeah Goldilocks?

[Anne_pet] I miss you.

[Bloody_poet] I miss you too. You have no idea how much I bloody miss you. Every second of the day.

[Anne_pet] Uh huh. What about the seconds of the night? You don't miss me then?

[Bloody_poet] Of course not, you silly bint... I spend every night with you. Every night, I hold you in my arms... In my dreams.

[Anne_pet] Good answer J

[Bloody_poet] The things I would do to you if I was with you right now, you have no idea.

[Anne_pet] Please—tell me.

[Bloody_poet] I'd walk into the room and seeing you there, sitting in your ratty old chair and looking so shaggable in nothing but your satin robe, I'd walk right up to you and...

[Anne_pet] You'd walk up to me and what?

[Bloody_poet] Thought you didn't want to do this pet?

[Anne_pet] Changed my mind. What would you do?

[Bloody_poet] I'd kneel in front of you... between your luscious thighs. I'd put my hands on your hips, over the warm satin of your robe, and slowly caress my way up your body all the way to your breasts. I'd spend some time enjoying the feel of the warm slippery fabric gliding under my fingers. Why don't you do it for me, pet? Tonight, your hands will be my hands.

Buffy crossed her arms in front of her, putting one hand on each side of her hips, and slowly trailed them upwards, pretending it was Spike touching her. She closed her eyes and shivered when she reached her breasts, cupping the soft mounds in her hands through the satin. Reaching the keyboard with one already shaking hand, she quickly typed.

[Anne_pet] Still wish it were your hands, but don't stop. Keep talking to me.

[Bloody_poet] Are you touching yourself, luv?

[Anne_pet] Yes.

[Bloody_poet] Good girl. Now, I'd play with your nipples until they'd form hard little peaks underneath the blue satin. I'd suck one into my mouth, wetting the fabric, then I'd blow on it to cool the wetness against your sensitive skin.

Buffy tweaked and pinched her own nipples until they were hard, letting out soft moans of pleasure that he couldn't hear. She was completely caught in the fantasy. She suddenly realized that Spike couldn't hear her and worried that he'd think she was bored and too nice to say it. For all he knew, she could have been filling her nails.

[Anne_pet] Huh... Spike? Am I supposed to write 'moan' or something? Cause I'm all with the moaning here. Just feels kinda weird that you don't know what you do to me. L

[Bloody_poet] Bloody hell, Buffy, you're so adorable and sexy. You drive me wild, woman. I love you.

[Anne_pet] MOAN :D

[Bloody_poet] lol

[Anne_pet] l love you too

[Bloody_poet] Put your hand between your legs... over the robe. That's what I would do if I were with you. I'd trail my fingers ever so lightly over your sex, rubbing your clit slowly with the satin and watching it get a darker shade of blue with your wetness. Are you doing it, luv?

[Anne_pet] God yes

[Bloody_poet] I'd push the robe apart to reveal your sweet little pussy to me and I'd lick it from bottom to top then give your hard little clit a quick suck. You taste so good. Are you wet, Buffy?

[Anne_pet] Always when I think of you baby

[Bloody_poet] And I get so painfully hard thinking of you, beautiful. I wish I could do something about it now. I'm going to have to wait until I'm in my cot, under the blanket, imagining your golden skin against mine, your naked body moving on top of mine... sitting on me with my cock buried inside your quim as deep as it can go.

Buffy almost came at his words. She typed with unsteady fingers.

[Anne_pet] Spike—I'm so close baby. Please.

[Bloody_poet] You're right; enough playing around. I love eating your pussy, but I'm too hard right now. Need to be inside of you. I get up and lift you up in my arms so I can take your place in the chair and have you straddling my thighs. I untie the sash of your robe and slide it along your arms until it rests at your elbows, the shiny blue fabric hanging loosely on either side of you. You're so beautiful, naked in my lap with your golden hair sprawled on your shoulders...

[Anne_pet] I unzip your pants and take your beautiful cock out. I love your cock. Did I ever tell you that? I love the way it fits so perfectly inside of me. How it stretches me and reaches so deep. I need it now. I stroke it a few times in my hand. God I love the way it feels. Your skin is so soft, baby.

[Bloody_poet] Love it when you take control like that luv. So sexy. You're by far the sexiest woman I've ever met. Put it in, kitten. I want to feel you around me—surrounding me.

[Anne_pet] I slide the head over my slit back and forth, getting it slick with my juices. I'm so wet for you, Spike. I rub it over my clit. Damn, I'm not gonna last long, honey. I'm already so close... feels like I'm gonna explode if I don't have you now. I position you at my opening and slam down on your cock, taking you all in. Fuck, you feel so amazing.

[Bloody_poet] That's it, kitten. Fuck yourself with your fingers. Come for me... for both of us.

Buffy didn't have to be told twice. She inserted another finger and pushed as deep as she could go, doing her best to pretend it was the man she loved inside of her even though three fingers were no nearly enough to match the way Spike filed her.

[Bloody_poet] Try to imagine it's me going wild beneath you, lifting my hips to meet you half way, our bodies slamming against one another so hard it almost hurt. It's my cock filling you up. Me. Tell me it's only me, kitten. I need to hear it.

[Anne_pet] Only you. Always. It's never been anybody else.

Her body was craving release. Her hips lifted off the chair rhythmically to meet the thrusts of her fingers, trying to take in as much as she possibly could. The orgasm washed over her with a suddenly that left her wide eyed and gasping for breath.

[Bloody_poet] You still with me, luv? Are you OK?

[Anne_pet] Better than OK :::blushes:::

[Bloody_poet] Should I conclude that you achieved 'little death' then?

[Anne_pet] Thanks to you and your magic words, I did. But I must say the death was more little than it would have been if you were with me.

[Bloody_poet] I bloody well hope so!

[Anne_pet] Don't worry. Nothing can compare to having you in the flesh. No amount of fantasizing, cyber sex, phone sex, sexy email, could replace you. You're irreplaceable, baby and you know it.

[Bloody_poet] Sorry to say that, but I have to leave, Goldilocks. My hour is over. And also, I'm risking a case of blue balls here if I don't do something about it soon.

[Anne_pet] I promise to kiss it better next time I see you.

[Bloody_poet] Promise?

[Anne_pet] Absolutely

[Bloody_poet] All right, then. Sweet dreams, kitten.

[Anne_pet] Good night, Spike. Love you

[Bloody_poet] Love you

[Bloody_poet is not currently signed in]

Buffy sighed and stood up on still wobbly legs. "Oh well. I guess that means it's time for my cold shower."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spike sidestepped Andrew swiftly and hurried out of the computer room.

"Bye, Spike! See you tomorrow, right? Same Bat place, same Bat time?"

Spike couldn't help but stop and turn to throw Andrew an incredulous look. He shook his head in amazement at how strange that boy was, and finally left. The lights were flashing anyway, which meant it was time for all good prisoners to be tucked into their beds.

Under the instructions of the guards, the guys were now making their way to the holding cells area. Spike noticed Gunn walking ahead of him and hurried to catch up to his friend. Both their cells were in the same section so they started walking together, Gunn uncharacteristically silent.

"What's the matter with you? Bad mood, mate?"

"''m fine." The taller man grumbled, belying his words. "I mean, why would I be in a bad mood? My friend's been ditching me for a computer almost every night for a week. Really, I have every reason in the world to be happy. Everything's just fucking fine. What is it anyway? You having some kind of internet romance with one of those chicks who think it's just so 'Bonnie and Clyde' to date a prisoner?"

"Look, Charles, I know you're annoyed and all that rot, but I can't talk about it."

"Yeah. There's been an awful lot of shit you can't talk about lately. I thought I was your friend, man."

Spike stopped walking and grabbed Charles by the sleeve to force him to stop and face him. He placed his hand on the black guy's shoulder and looked him in the eyes. "You ARE my friend. You bloody well know that. And it's not just because we're stuck in here together and I have no other options but to be friends with you. You'd be my mate even if we were out there. But I wouldn't even be able to tell my confessor if I had one. You'd be the first person I'd be talking to if I could. Can you understand that?"

'"Is it illegal?"

Spike sighed. "No. But it could hurt someone real bad if the word gets out. So please trust me and don't ask questions I can't answer, all right?"

"All right. Sorry dude. I've just had a bad day. I'll leave you and your little secret alone."

"And I'll try spending more time with you."

"Good."

They started walking again, but not for long. They had to stop again when they noticed three guys walking towards them, with their intents written plainly across their faces. Spike didn't have to look to the sides to know that there were other guys cutting off any possible escape path.

"Huh, Spike? I think we have a problem." Gunn said between clenched teeth.

"Oh you think?" Spike bit out sarcastically, eyes focused on the potential threat. "Thanks for pointing that out, mate, but I've noticed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's all a matter of evidence by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 32: It's all a matter of evidence


Spike looked from the corner of his eyes discretely to assess the situation. The conclusion he drew wasn’t good at all. While the headmaster of this little ambush and his lackeys stood in front of him and Gunn, a few more guys surrounded them to keep them from running to safety. Not that he would have--a bloke had his pride--but it still would have been nice to have a back door in case things got too ugly. Affecting his usual nonchalant cockiness, he hooked his thumbs in the waist band of his pants and smirked.

“Anything we can do for you wankers, or is this a social call? Because I gotta tell you, I’m not really the social type.”

The inmate staring him down at the moment--Rick if Spike’s memory was right--just happened to be part of Parker’s regular entourage. The taller man cracked his knuckles in a show of intimidation that was too bloody typical for Spike not to snort in disgust.

“You made a mistake, Rayne. A big fucking mistake.”

Spike opened his mouth in shock, obviously mocking him. Gunn elbowed him in the side as a silent plea to not make the situation even worse for them, but Spike couldn’t help himself. “I did?” He gasped. “Gosh, I didn’t realize. My sincere apology. Not gonna bloody do it again, promise. Now bugger off.” He punctuated his sentence with a smirk.

“Don’t push me, Rayne. In case you haven’t noticed, you’re in deep shit right now. You pissed off a lot of guys when you decided to defend the Warden. We were about to get first class entertainment, but you had to get up and open that big fucking British mouth of yours. I spent the day under the fucking rain, chained to other guys in the middle of nowhere picking up trash from the side of the road thanks to the woman whose ass you saved. The way I see it, it’s all your fault. So tonight, you and your little buddy are the entertainment. You’re going to regret ever being born you fucker.”

“Do you kiss your mum with that mouth, mate?”

Rick opened his mouth to reply, but Spike used the distraction to his advantage and dove head first into the man’s stomach, knocking the wind out of him.

Gunn stood there for a second, as surprised as Rick by Spike’s move. But he recovered quickly enough and grabbed the guy closest to him and head butted him. “Dude! You could have given me some kind of warning!” He yelled indignantly at Spike.

“Sorry mate, thought you could handle yourself.” Spike mocked while kicking Rick in the stomach.

Gunn only groaned in response, too busy defending himself against three guys at once to think of a reply.

Spike usually enjoyed the rush of a good fight, but this time, the odds were against him and he knew it. He could only hope that the guards would interfere quickly and put an end to the fight.

He heard a guard saying something over the speaker and the doors being locked to contain the fight, but no one was trying to stop anything just yet. He didn’t know how long he could last. Most of the guys were just watching and cheering, forming a circle around them, but at least six convicts were attacking and that was too much for him. He saw that something was happening to the side, probably the guards trying to break their way through the crowd, but the moment it took him to notice that was enough of a distraction to make him lose the upper hand in the fight.

He felt his ribs crack under a vicious kick, then someone grabbing his arms from behind to immobilize him. Rick took the opportunity to work on his face, hitting him with a few solid punches. Then it stopped. Spike managed to shake the pain away long enough to see two guards dragging Rick away and a few more taking care of the other guys. He fell on his knees, and tried to catch his breath. Gunn walked up to him, holding his left arm that seemed to be hanging at a strange angle.

“You alright man?”

“Bloody great. Just feels like having been hit by a truck. I’ll live.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy almost jumped out of her skin when she heard someone knocking at her door. She was expecting the private investigator who said he was going to stop by at seven o’clock and it made her jumpy all day. 7PM sharp. The guy was right on time.

It was their first face to face meeting even though he’d been working on the Liam/Darla case for a week now. They had agreed over the phone and she’d given him as much information about the two as she could which wasn’t much. Their names, address, and that she needed him to find some evidence of criminal activity and give her a detailed description of their whereabouts. He said that he would go in reconnaissance, to get and idea of who he was dealing with, and then they would meet at her place in a week to discuss the case. Which was today.

Buffy went to open the door. “Mr. Wyndham-Pryce?”

“Yes, but please, call me Wesley. Mr. Wyndham-Pryce makes me feel like my old man and believe me, that’s not a good feeling.”

She smiled at the man and let him in. He was good looking. Tall, dark, with three days beard that gave him a rugged look, and of course, the British accent. Buffy almost chuckled when she realized that she was surrounded by British guys.

**what’s up with that?** She thought, amused by the realization.

She shook her head and told him to follow her to the kitchen.

“We’ll be more comfortable here. I made coffee, would you like some?”

“That’d be fantastic, thank you.”

She poured the already brewed coffee in two cups and put them down on the table.

Wesley looked up at her. “Would it be too much to ask if you have some Irish cream by any chance? I’ve been up for twenty-four hours and I’m in much need of something to keep me awake right now.”

“Sure. I’ll be right back.” She hurried downstairs to get the bottle of Irish cream, mumbling under her breath that it would be about time that she’d stock her kitchen cabinet with liquor instead of having to go to the bar in the basement every time.

Buffy came back in the kitchen to find Wesley sitting at the table, files and pictures spread out in front of him.

“What’s all this?” She asked, taking a seat.

“A big pile of nothing, I’m afraid.” He answered, not showing any emotion as he pushed some pictures across the table so she could look at them.

She took the pictures in her hands to get a closer look and frowned.

“Angel roughing up his wife.” He explained. “His wife returning the favor. I refrained from taking pictures of the savage make up sex. Bad enough I had to see it, I didn’t see the point in immortalizing it for posterity. Then there’s some more pictures of him getting into bar fights. And Angel and Darla walking into a swingers’ club with another woman. Like I said: nothing that can be of any use to us.”

“But…” Buffy started saying hesitantly, her voice tainted with hope. “That was only one week. Maybe if you keep following him..?”

Wesley took a long, slow, sip of his Irish coffee, taking his sweet time to answer. “You’re absolutely right. I wasn’t expecting to find anything incriminating in only one week, although, with some luck it could have happened. What I did was familiarizing myself with the targets. But if we want our work here to be productive, I need you to be completely honest with me, Miss Summers and tell me exactly what is going on so I know what I’m looking for. I’m sure you’ll understand. All I know is that you want me to find something incriminating. That’s rather vague I must say.”

Buffy stared down at her cup of coffee, not sure if she should tell him everything. “What does it change if you know the story behind it or not?”

The man sitting across the table from her put his elbows on the table and rested his chin on his intertwined fingers, looking her straight in the eyes. “It changes everything. What I do here is all about trust. We need to trust each other if we want to be able to work as a team. In order to help you, I need to know every detail. You have to believe that my bread and butter depends on my discretion and I have never divulged information about my clients. My methods have been criticized in the past because I’m not afraid to bend the rules to get what I want, but it also means that if there’s a chance of success, I’ll make it happen. So now… Why don’t you tell me what’s at stake here?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “My career and the freedom of the man I love.”

One of Wesley’s eyebrows perked up at this. “All right. What’s the story, Buffy? I can call you Buffy, right?”

“Of course. Here’s what’s going on. I have reason to believe that one of the men in my prison is innocent of the crime he’s been accused of.”

“And you just happen to be in love with that man, correct?”

Buffy blushed lightly. “Correct. But it doesn’t change anything except that it makes it more personal. I would believe his story even if I didn’t have feelings for him. But I could lose my job over this so that’s why I was reluctant to give you all the details. If someone finds out I‘m involved with an inmate, that‘s it for Warden Buffy.”

“You can trust me, Buffy. I have no interest in making you lose your job. Like I said, my reputation depends on my discretion.” He rubbed his stubbled chin absentmindedly, lost in his thoughts. “And you believe Liam MacAlister and his wife are involved in this? Why don’t you tell me what happened to send this man to prison?”

“The man I’m talking about is William Rayne. He was sent to jail last May for the murder of Drusilla Blackwell. It was ruled to be a passion crime. He was lucky in his bad luck not to be sent to the gas chamber… but that’s beside the point. Angel and Darla set it up so he would get framed for the murder. Angel is the one who actually shot Drusilla while Darla watched. Angel and Darla both testified against William as the only eye witnesses and his hand prints were on the gun. Nothing could have saved him from being sent to jail. Now, I want to prove that he’s innocent and have the real murderers locked up in his place.”

“Sounds tricky. Do you have any idea how you want to go about doing this?”

“Well…” Buffy played nervously with her spoon, trying to hide the trembling of her fingers. “I had only one idea. I went to see a lawyer who works for a big law firm in L.A. Wolfram & Hart. Have you hear of them? They’re supposed to be really good.”

Wesley whistled under his breath. “Best bloody lawyers in town. Probably the best lawyers in United State if I may say so. Not always clean though. They’re renowned for keeping rich criminals out of trouble. But that only proves just how good they are. What did the lawyer say?”

“That she couldn’t help me, but if I could get a confession from the real murderer, it would be the only way to get William out of jail. So I thought… I thought maybe I could get close to Angel and Darla, win their trust and get something out of them. That‘s why I hired you. So I could find out more about them and figure out a way to approach them.”

Wesley nodded slowly, his expression dark and unreadable. When he spoke, his voice was neutral, but a sense of dread washed over her. “It’s not enough.”

Buffy’s head shot up to look at him. “What? But she said…”

“Whatever that lawyer told you, she probably just assumed you knew a bit more than you do about these things. You can’t just go in there wired, then bring whatever you got in front of a judge and expect them to take it as evidence. You need to be sanctioned by court order and prepped by authorities or else it won’t be considered as evidence.”

He saw the blood draining out of her face and quickly added:

“BUT. I can help you with that.”

Buffy let out a breath of relief. “How?” She almost whispered, her voice fearful.

“I have connections. I have a friend who works for the Sunnydale Police Department…”

“No! You can’t bring the police into this!”

“And may I ask why not?”

“Because. They’ll ruin everything. They’ll tell me not to get involved, they’ll bring Angel in for interrogation, he’ll tell them the same bullshit story he told them the first time and they’ll let him go. Then he’ll know someone’s trying to frame him and he’ll pack his stuff and leave Sunnydale with his skanky ho. I can’t let you do that.”

Wesley leaned over the table and put his hand over hers comfortingly. “My friend, Kate Lockley, is well known for overlooking the ‘book’, if you know what I mean. She’s a bit like me and she’s not afraid to bend the rules to get her man. She’s an investigator and if I tell her to reopen the case, she’ll find a way to justify it with her boss. I’ll convince her to stay on the outside and not get anybody else involved while you and I do the work. We’ll also contact your lawyer and ask her to do the paper work to make our evidence legit. How does that sound?”

Buffy finally smiled. “Sounds very good.”

Wesley stood up. “But keep in mind that we’re the one who will be doing the hard work. From what I’ve seen, this guy Angel is a bloody nut case. If you decide to go in, I’ll do everything I can to protect you, but you still might be in danger. Are you willing to take that risk?”

“Absolutely.” Buffy answered with conviction.

“Good. So I’ll make the phone calls. What’s your lawyer’s name?”

“Lilah Morgan. Here… Hold on, I have her card in my purse.”

She went to get the business card, and as she was coming back, there was a knock at the door. Wesley, who was putting on his leather jacket, froze.

Buffy looked at him nervously. “Is it OK if I answer?”

“Of course. I don’t see why not. It doesn’t say PI on my forehead. Besides, I was on my way out.”

She looked through the peep hole to see Giles standing there. She plastered a bright smile on her face and opened the door.

“Hey Giles! What are you doing here?.. Not that I’m not glad to see you or anything. I mean…”

Giles gave her a half smile and without a word, held up a box of Krispy Cream doughnuts.

“And you just said the magic word.” She laughed. “Come in.”

When he saw the man standing by the doorway, Giles frowned. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t know you had company. Would you rather I’d come back some other time? I should have called first.”

Wesley answered for her. “No, sir, I was just on my way out.” He turned to Buffy and she handed him the card as discretely as she could, hoping Giles wouldn’t ask any questions.

“All right. I’ll call you as soon as I have information. Goodbye Buffy.”

“Bye Wesley… and thank you.”

She shut the door and turned to where Giles was still standing. “Don’t just stand there. Let’s go in the kitchen, I still have some coffee left if you’d like.” He followed her, still carrying the box of doughnuts. He put it down on the kitchen table and took a seat.

“So,” Buffy asked cheerfully. “What brings you here? I hope it’s a social call ‘cause I don’t feel like dealing with prison issues tonight.”

“Buffy, care to tell me what’s going on here?”

She stopped what she was doing and faced him with a puzzled look on her face. “Huh? What do you mean? You’re here to ask me what’s going on? What’s going on with what?”

“I’ll get to why I’m here later. Now, I’m very curious to figure out what I just walked into a few moments ago.”

She turned her back on him to hide her face, busying herself by pouring the left over coffee in two cups. “You mean, Wesley? He’s… An old friend.”

Giles snorted. “I wasn’t born yesterday, Buffy. The unfamiliarity of your body language was quite obvious. This man wasn’t a friend of yours. Pardon me for insisting, but what’s going on? Does it have anything to do with William by any chance?”

Buffy almost dropped the cups on the floor. “What? How… I mean, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

He gave her a stern look.

“Fine! Damn I suck at lying. How did you figure it out?”

“Instinct. Do you have some sugar?”

She gave him a blank look before realizing he was talking about his coffee. “Oh. Yes of course.”

Buffy went to get the sugar container and watched as Giles put a few spoonfuls into his coffee.

“Is my coffee that bad? You know what, don’t answer that.” She tried to laugh to lighten up the mood but failed. “So, you’re instincts are that good, huh?”

“Sometimes. But I mostly figured it out because I was expecting you to do something like this. I could not imagine you just sitting back while William is in prison. That man was a private investigator I presume?”

“Right on.”

“Care to tell me what your plans are exactly?”

“So you can tell me how careless and idiotic it is? I’m thinking no.”

“Do you think I’d have a reason to believe that your idea could be careless and idiotic?”

“Careless, no. Not since I have Wesley working with me. He’ll make sure that everything is set up right and that everything is legal so that as soon as I have the proof I need, Spike will be out. But idiotic… You might think it kinda is, yes.”

“Are you going to put yourself in any danger, Buffy? That’s what I’d like to know.”

“It doesn’t matter, Giles. I’m a big girl, I can handle myself.”

“Bloody hell woman, will you tell me what you’re planning on doing so I can scold you properly and have something concrete to worry about?” Giles snapped angrily.

Buffy looked anywhere but at Giles when she told him the story. He listened to her intently, not interrupting, but she could tell he wasn’t taking it too well. “Dear Lord.” He sighed and took his glasses off to polish them with a handkerchief, seemingly lost in thought. The longer the silence lasted, the more nervous Buffy got.

“Say something, Giles.”

“You’re a grown woman, Buffy. There’s not much I can tell you to make you change your mind, is there? But I hope to God that your Spike is worth risking your life for.”

“I won’t be risking my life, Giles. I might be if I was going in by myself with no one to back me up, but Wesley knows what he’s doing. He’s getting the police involved.”

“Glad to know the Police force of Sunnydale is stupid enough to agree to send a young woman alone after a potential murderer. Makes me feel bloody safe to have another proof of how clueless they can be.”

“Please, Giles, I know you don’t agree with this, but I promise I’ll be careful and I won’t take any risk. At the first sign that Angel might suspect something, I’m out of there.”

“Try not to do anything foolish, that’s all I’m asking for.”

“I won’t.”

Giles smiled and pushed the doughnut box towards her. “Would you care for some artery clogging food?”

Buffy automatically wrinkled her nose in distaste. “No thank you. I think I’ll save mine for tomorrow morning. I’m not…”

“Feeling well?” He continued for her, frowning in concern.

“I was about to say hungry. I lost my appetite lately.”

“Yes, and it’s starting to show. You’re face looks thinner and you’re quite pale. Is there anything wrong?”

“Tired I guess. A good night of sleep and I’ll be fine.”

“Buffy, you should be careful. This could be the sign of something more important. You’ve been like this for more than three weeks now. I’ve noticed how you barely touch food. I assumed it must be stress over the William situation, but now I’m wondering if it could be something else entirely.”

“I know you worry about me, but don’t. I’m fine. See?” She took a doughnut and forced herself to take a bite. “Yum! Sugary goodness.”

She swallowed and smiled. Giles only shook his head, worry still obvious in his eyes. Buffy put the doughnut back in the box. Even if she wanted to put on a show for Giles, she still couldn’t force herself to eat it.

“Perhaps it’s none of my business, and I might be completely wrong. But please, humor me. Just go see a doctor. If you’re right and you’re just tired, he’ll tell you, give you some sleeping pills and after a few good nights of sleep, you’ll be back in fighting form. But if there’s something wrong with you, at least you’ll know and you can do something about it. Will you promise me?”

Buffy hesitated, but then gave in. “All right, I’ll go, I promise.”

He gave her a look that clearly meant ‘you better not just be saying this’. “Tomorrow morning?”

“But..”

“Take the morning off. You better not show up at work or I’ll be really disappointed.”

She sighed. “Fine. I’ll go tomorrow morning.”

Giles nodded, obviously satisfied. He decided against telling her that Spike had been in a fight. The girl had enough to worry about. It seemed best to wait until tomorrow afternoon when she got to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Reviews, please? Wow, you managed to do the unthinkable, you got this proud girl begging! What a writer wouldn't do for some feedback ;) Seriously though, I was really happy with this chapter (ego much?) and I'd like to know what you think. Oh, and I'd like to thank the writers of 24 season one for enlightening me about the technicallities involved in making evidence acceptable legally. What? I did my research. OK, it wasn't so much researching, more like it hit me in the face, but it makes my story more realistic, so yay me.
Doctor, doctor, give me the news by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 33: Doctor, doctor, give me the news



Buffy walked back to the office after a nurse came to get her. She stopped in front of the door where a golden plaque said: Dr. Winifred Burkle, and took a deep calming breath. It would take a few days to get the results of the extensive blood test the doctor had put her through, but there was one test Dr. Burkle had insisted she’d take--even if Buffy said it was ridiculous and useless--for which she could get the result right away. Of course, it had probably been a waste of time, but she’d still agreed to wait for half an hour and now, she was back in the office.

Buffy pushed the door open and walked in, suddenly feeling nervous.

**Don’t be ridiculous** she scolded herself. **There is NO way.**

“Come in, Buffy. Have a seat, please.” The pretty brunette told her with a warm smile.

Everything about the woman made you feel warm and safe. She was tiny, with long hair the color of coffee beans and large soft eyes in her small face. Just being in her presence made Buffy relax. By the smile Dr. Burkle had on her face, it could only be good news anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Burkle smiled softly at the woman sitting in front of her, always happy to tell people they were expecting a child, even if some, once in a while, didn’t take it too well. If the tears welling up in the petite blonde’s hazel eyes were any indication, she was one of those.

“No.” Buffy finally said firmly with a quick shake of her head that sent her golden hair flying wildly around her shoulders.

Fred frowned. “What do you mean, no? There is very little doubt that..”

“NO. It’s not possible.” She said with conviction despite the slightly hysterical ton of her voice. “I’m on the pill and I never miss one. NEVER. I take it every morning after brushing my teeth. Same time EVERYDAY. So no. I’m not pregnant.”

She furiously wiped her tears and crossed her arms over her chest like a stubborn little girl.

“All right then. If you’ve decided that you’re not pregnant, then I guess you‘re not. Go home, forget it ever happened, then, in three months, when you get bigger, you can tell yourself that you just got fat. And when there’s something kicking you from the inside, you can always tell yourself that you have gas. Though, it might get harder to live in denial when there’s something coming out of you in about eight months from now.” At Buffy’s huge panicked eyes, Fred softened her voice to try to calm her down. “I’m sorry you’re not taking this well Buffy, but denying it won’t make it go away. You’re pregnant.”

“But… what about the pill. I told you I…”

“Take it every day, I know. And I believe you. But do you remember last time you were in my office? That day when I prescribed you antibiotics?”

Buffy nodded.

“Do you remember me also telling you that the antibiotics and the birth control pill were not mixing well and that you should use a secondary contraception method for the period of time you were on antibiotics?”

“You never said that!”

“I did. And you answered, word for word: ‘I know, I know. Thanks a bunch. Gotta go.’ You took the prescription out of my hands and ran out of the office.”

Buffy’s mouth formed a perfect “oh” as she stared at the doctor. Memory had a funny way to come back to you when it’s too late.

“So, I take it you and your boyfriend didn’t use any protection?”

Buffy shook her head numbly. Spike and she had talked about it. The day after they’d slept together for the first time, they had emailed each other when Buffy realized they hadn’t used protection. She had assured him that she was on the pill, and Spike had told her he was clean and she could check his medical file herself if she wanted to make sure. OK, it was irresponsible. But everything she had done so far had been. So a little less, a little more… besides, she had faith in the pill. Stupid, blind, faith in modern medicine. Oh God. She was pregnant.

Tears came back with a vengeance and she hid her face in her hands, trying to catch her breath while mumbling: “Ohgodohgodohgod”

“Hey, are you OK?”

Buffy shook her head vehemently and Fred went to sit in the chair beside her. The young woman was clearly hyperventilating.

“Take deep breaths, Buffy. I don’t want you passing out on me now.”

Fred put her slim arm around her shoulders, shocked by how badly she was shaking. “Why don’t you tell me what’s so bad about this. Is the father not gonna be happy?” When the only answer she got was a whimper, she continued. “Is it worst than that?”

Buffy nodded weakly, still unable to speak.

The brunette turned Buffy’s shoulders so she would face her. “I’m going to ask you a tough question, Buffy. I need you to be honest with me. Were you raped?”

That snapped Buffy out of her panic attack. Chocked sobs were now mixed with hysterical laughter. It took her a while before finally being able to speak, her voice hoarse from all the crying. “Oh my God! No. It’s not like that at all. I love him. He just… can’t be there.”

“You know I’m sworn to secrecy and you can tell me anything…”

“He’s in prison.” She didn’t know why she said it, but the words came out before she could stop them. And it felt good.

“But don’t you work in… oh.” Dr. Burkle’s eyes widened with realization. “Oh my! That’s not good.”

“Understatement. It’s more like the definition of worst case scenario. And it’s not like he’s coming out in a month or two either. He’ll be in there for a hell of a long time. He’ll miss everything. Pregnancy, birth, first word, first steps, first day of school. It’s going to kill him. And I won’t be able to visit him with the kid either because then, everybody will know and I’ll lose my job.”

Fred took a long shuddering breath. She hated what she was about to say but in this case it would have to be brought up. “There are… other options. I don’t do it myself because I’m against the idea, but I could refer you to someone I know who could terminate the pregnancy. If that’s something you would consider. You‘re still in the early stage so physically, it wouldn‘t be too traumatic.”

With only those few words, everything changed for Buffy. She couldn’t tell what exactly happened, but in a matter of seconds, her misery was replaced by outrage. She turned bright red. “What?!”

“I’m not saying you should, Buffy. But the situation you’re in…”

“Is not of the good, but I can still manage. No need to kill an innocent, thank you very much.”

Dr. Burkle looked down and Buffy realized she’d snapped at the poor woman for no reason. She was just trying to help.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to react like that. I’m just not myself right now. I need to digest the news. I’m lost and I don’t know what to do, but abortion is definitely not an option. The father might be in prison, but I love him and just the idea of killing a child that we created together makes me sick. I freaked out a little. Sorry.”

“It’s all right. I understand you’re a little confused right now and don’t know how to take this. I know it’s not easy to raise a child on your own, but you’re a strong woman and I’m sure you can do this. Things have a way of working out, you’ll see.”

“I know. I’m just tired of life throwing curve balls at me all the time. Tired of being strong and struggling to keep it all together.”

Fred took her hand. “You’ll be fine, I’m sure of it. Besides, I’m sure you have friends and family who can help you.”

“Yeah, as long as they don’t bring me more food.”

Fred raised an eyebrow in question and Buffy smiled slightly.

“I don’t think the baby is too crazy about chicken… and onions. Oh, and fish. God, just the smell of fish makes me wanna hurl. I think there might have been some chicken in the lasagna my mom brought me the other day because I couldn’t even sit next to the table while they were eating it. And I LOVE lasagna.”

Dr. Burkle chuckled, happy to see her patient’s mood was improving.

“This is gonna be a long nine months if I can‘t eat my mom‘s famous lasagna.” Buffy added, pouting.

“It’s just the beginning of the pregnancy. You’ll see, soon, you’ll complain that you can’t stop eating. I guarantee it.”

Buffy only groaned, hiding her face in her hands again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You are very handsome, but very annoying, Spike. Now, will you hold still so I can finish stitching you up? You should be more like your friend Charles. He’s handsome too, and HE listens when I tell him not to move.”

“Sorry nurse Anya. I’ll behave.”

“You better. British men are such wusses.” She muttered under her breath, but loud enough to be heard.

“Oi!” Both Spike and Giles exclaimed in indignation, their British pride hurt.

“Oh and don’t deny it. You so are. The other night, Giles and I were in bed when I…”

“ANYA!”

She turned innocent eyes to Giles who‘s face was flushed.

“Remember what I said about things that are private and should remain private?”

She blinked several times, obviously not seeing his point. “Yes. But this is a fun story that could prove my point so I don’t see why I shouldn’t use it.”

“Yeah, Rups, let the lady tell her story. Sounds interesting enough.” Spike said with a grin, hissing in pain when it hurt the side of his face that was black and blue from the attack.

“Would you just bloody stitch him up so I can take him back already? And how come it wasn’t done last night when he was brought in?”

Annoyed, Anya sighed loudly. “Because I was not on duty last night. I was with you, remember? And Peter, the guy who does the night shift, is an idiot. That’s why.”

“Yeah, the bleedin’ wanker said I didn’t need any soddin’ stitches even though I had blood dripping in my eyes. He just wrapped my noggin up in a bandage and made me sleep on this poor excuse for a bed. I had to beg him to give me Tylenols for the pain. Piss poor excuse for a nurse. Not like you, luv.” He added, winking at Anya.

“Stop flirting, Spike. It’s flattering, but I’m taken now. Rupert gives me plenty of perfectly good orgasms.”

Spike chuckled when he saw Giles closing his eyes as if in pain and rubbing his temples. “Glad to hear it, pet. Nothing like high quality orgasms to make a girl happy.” He said, enjoying making Giles squirm.

Anya gave him a winning smile, glad that someone finally understood her. She finished wrapping the gauze around his forehead and patted him affectionately on the shoulder. “Too bad you’re in jail. You’d make some girl really happy.”

Giles rolled his eyes and took a step forward, eager to put an end to this disturbing conversation. “Let’s go Spike. And just so we’re clear, maybe you should be careful not to get too much on my nerves or maybe I’ll take you straight to your cell. If you get my meaning.”

Indeed, he understood the older British man’s meaning perfectly. With wide innocent blue eyes, he motion as if he was zipping his lips together, then eagerly extended his arms in front of him so Giles could put the handcuffs on. Giles shook his head and sighed in defeat. How Buffy could put up with Spike was beyond him. But then again, someone could ask the same of him and Anya, so who was he to judge?

Spike stood up and followed Giles out of the infirmary and hopefully, straight into Buffy’s arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yeah, yeah, you all guessed it, our little Warden is pregnant. You're all very smart cookies. Granted... I stopped trying to be subtle a while ago, but still... you guys are clever ;) Now, the question is: will she tell, will she not tell..? I guess you'll have to wait and see. And now, in response to a review I got and in case other people feel that way, I know there is not that much Spuffiness, and I apologize. But this fic is plot oriented and was never meant to be a PWP. The sex only adds to it. I'm trying my best to keep the story as realistic as possible and I don't think them being together all the time would make much sense considering the circumstances. But don't worry, I want them together as much as you do and I'll do my best to make it happen. I do appreciate reviews very much and I want to hear your opinion because it tells me what to work on if I want to make you guys happy. So keep em coming.
More time needed by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 34: More time needed


Buffy sat in her car in the prison’s parking lot for a good half hour, staring straight ahead, her expression blank. She was desperately trying to put some order in her thoughts and make sense of the new situation she found herself in. She knew that when the shock wore off, she’d probably start panicking again, but for now she was just numb. The tough part would be going through the day, smiling, talking, doing her job, as if nothing was wrong. She had yet to find the strength to get out of the car. The idea of seeing people right now was too much for her fragile nerves, but she had to. Beside, Giles must be waiting for her.

Oh God. Giles. She had completely forgotten about him. He was probably waiting to find out if there was something wrong with her or not. How was she going to face him? What was she going to tell him? Lie? Didn’t she mention already that she was terrible at lying? Especially when she was in this kind of emotional state. And telling him the truth was out of the question. She could only imagine the kind of lecture she would be subjected to if she’d tell him she was pregnant with Spike’s baby. Giles was her friend, she had no doubt about that. But there had to be a line she couldn’t cross and this just might be it. How many times could she make stupid decisions and be irresponsible before he got tired of it? She really didn’t want to find out.

And what about Spike? The New Year’s Eve events were still fresh in her mind. How he had flipped out, saying that it was too painful for him when she’d told him what a great life they would have when he got out of jail. Knowing that he was going to be a father and not there to be part of it, that he would have a family out there and couldn’t be with them… it would kill him. How could she do this to him?

Buffy gripped the steering wheel almost painfully, her knuckles white with the effort, and rested her forehead wearily against it. She couldn’t think anymore.

A knock on her car window almost made Buffy jump out of her skin. She looked up, heart racing, only to see the parking attendant standing there. Lowering her window, she forced herself to smile.

“God you scared me, John.”

“Sorry ‘bout that, Ms. Summers. I was just wondering if you were all right. You‘ve been sitting there for a hell of a long time.”

“Yeah, I know. I was just lost in thought. I didn’t realize how long I’ve been here.” She answered, trying her best to sound cheerful. She took the keys out of the ignition and started gathering her purse and briefcase. “I guess I should get to work now.”

“Good. I was just checking. You know.. To make sure you were OK.”

“I know. I appreciate it. Thanks.” She watched the man go back to his booth and got out of her car.

She didn’t feel ready yet, but she had to do it.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kate Lockley walked back into her office where Wesley was waiting for her. She had a file in her hands and a scowl on her pretty face. The tall woman took a seat at her desk without looking at the private investigator who was standing in front of it, his hands buried deep in his jeans pockets. The silence dragged on as she perused William Rayne’s case.

“Damn it, Wesley. You want me to reopen a case that was closed nine months ago. It was clean, straightforward… perfect.” She looked at the file that was opened in front of her, her blonde brows drawn together in frustration. “Boy loves girl, girl turns out to be a cheating bitch, boy gets upset and shoots her. End of the story. Now why in the world would I want to go and try to find the flaw in this perfect picture?”

“I’m disappointed in you, Kate. Aren’t you just a tad curious about this? Doesn’t it look a bit too perfect to be true? You know who that case was assigned to and let’s just say Jeremy Cohen isn’t the brightest crayon in the box. The guy is all rules and procedures but never stops to ask himself the real questions. Thinking outside the box is a concept lost on Cohen. He sees something and doesn’t even question it. Anything to save himself trouble. Doesn’t that make you want to find out if he might have missed something?”

The blonde woman ran her fingers through her shoulder length hair. She looked at a loss as to what to think. She’d known Wesley Wyndham-Pryce for years, had collaborated on many cases with him, and one thing she knew was that he was never wrong. The guy was like freakin’ Columbo, only sexier. But this was different. There was absolutely nothing in this case that could raise any doubt. The Rayne case had been open and shut in a matter of two months. Quick, easy and painless. Reopening it would be idiotic. And kind of a bitch to explain to her boss.

Seeing that she wasn’t going to answer, Wesley continued. “I know it makes me want to find out if maybe the other story I’ve heard about what happened that day is true. And I’ve got to tell you, Kate, I’ve been following this Angel around for a week now and it helped me make up my mind. The bloke is such a disgusting individual it’s painful to watch.”

“How sure about this are you, Wes?”

Wesley tried to hide his smile of victory but failed miserably.

“Hey! Wipe that smile of you face, I didn’t agree yet. How. Sure?”

“Pretty damn sure. And you know me, I’m usually right.”

Kate shook her head wearily and mumbled under her breath. “Smug bastard.”

The grin on the private detective’s face grew wider. “You know me.”

“Yeah, and sometimes I can’t help but think that my life would be much simpler if I didn’t.”

“You say that, but you don’t really mean it. Your life would be so incredibly boring in this little hellhole if it weren‘t for me.”

She couldn’t help smiling at that. “I guess it would be. Anyway, who got you involved in this case? No one seemed very interested in defending William Rayne when the case was in court. Why now?”

Wesley took a seat in front of her and waited a beat or two before answering. “My client wishes to remain anonymous. There’s too much laying in the balance for her if her identity is revealed and I’m going to respect her wish.”

By the look on his face, Kate knew it was pointless to insist. He wouldn’t tell her more. “Fine. You said you met Liam MacAllister, but did you meet with the alleged killer, William Rayne?”

“No.” Wesley answered reluctantly. “My client doesn’t think it would be a good idea. She doesn’t want him to know we’re working on his case. She’s afraid that if it doesn’t lead to anything, he’ll get his hopes up for nothing.”

“Understandable. But tell me… What do you want me to do exactly?”

“Trust me implicitly?” He said with a boyish grin.

She huffed. “Right. Like that didn’t get me in trouble in the past.”

“I want you to reopen the case, give me the green light to do as I please and stay out of it.” He said more seriously. “I want to go in wired and get a confession out of that bastard. I‘ll also need you to get a positive identification of Liam MacAllister‘s voice from his interrogation tape. When I come in with the evidence, I don‘t want any doubts that it‘s the same guy.” He omitted to mention that he wouldn’t be the one to approach Angel. It was irrelevant and it would make Kate hesitate about the whole thing.

“Do you have a lawyer working with you on this? Because you’re gonna need one if you want to get Rayne out of jail.”

“Yes, I’ve been in contact with a lawyer at Wolfram & Hart, Lilah Morgan. My client has also had contact with this person before regarding the case and she agreed to help. She‘s preparing the documents and as soon as it‘s done and she can put a good argument together, she‘ll present it to a judge.”

Kate‘s blue eyes widened comically. “Wow. I’m guessing not for free. What are they? The most lucrative law firm in United States? Your ‘client’ is really serious about this, isn’t she?”

“Very.”

“All right, Wes. I’m gonna be really stupid here and trust that you know what the hell you’re getting yourself into. I’ll talk to my boss and try to convince him that it’s not a waste of time to reopen this case.”

Wesley stood up. “Thank you, Kate. I owe you one.”

“Yeah. More like a hundred. I should keep a list of all the favors you owe me. You do realize that if it leads to nothing, I could get my ass fired for this?”

“Like I said, I owe you one.” Wesley winked at her and walked away. “Call me as soon as it’s done.”

Kate watched his retreating back and sighed. She was definitely a sucker for a sexy British man with a devastating smile. But then again, what woman in her right mind wouldn’t be? Picking up the phone, she dialed her boss’s extension and waited for him to answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giles walked to Buffy’s office, wondering if she was back yet. Spike was walking in front of him and he made the prisoner sit on a chair by Harmony’s desk. Spike gave him a worried look.

“Hey, why the bleedin’ hell are you making me wait here? With her? I didn’t do anything to deserve this kind of punishment.”

Harmony, who was on the phone, didn’t seem to hear the comment. Giles just gave the blonde man a warning look. “I have to talk with Ms. Summers first. So wait here and don’t move or there’ll be hell to pay. Am I making myself clear?”

“No need to get all scary on me, mate. I know you’re just pissed off by the little conversation with your bird.” Spike smirked in that infuriating way of his.

Giles ignored the comment. “I said am I clear?”

“As clear as soddin’ crystal, mate. Not moving a muscle. But if she starts talking to me,” He tilted his head toward Harmony. “I just might break that promise.”

The guard didn’t dignify this with an answer and just turned to knock on Buffy’s office door. He disappeared inside after she told him to come in, shutting the door behind him.

Right away, he could tell that something was wrong. The young woman wasn’t good at hiding her emotions.

“Hello, Buffy.”

“Hi, Giles.”

There was an awkward pause. Buffy tried to smile to lighten up the heavy atmosphere, but it didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“Do you mind if I sit?” Giles finally asked.

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Is everything all right? You don’t seem quite like yourself. Did the doctor say something that upset you?”

“What? Oh. Huh, no. Everything is just fine.” She looked down at the pen she was playing with, mentally slapping herself for sounding so not all right. Giles wasn‘t stupid, he‘d see right through her.

And of course, he did. Frowning with concern, he leaned forward. “Buffy? What did the doctor say? You don’t have some kind of terrible illness, do you?”

“No. Of course not. It’s just like I told you. There’s nothing wrong with me.” Well, that wasn’t a lie. Nothing was technically wrong with her. Pregnancy was a natural thing. So yeah, not lying. “Just stress.” Now that was a lie.

Giles didn’t look like he believed her at all and that made her angry. How come people could see right through her bullshit like that? Was there a ‘Buffy’ handbook that everyone received and that she wasn’t aware of?

“Would you stop looking at me like that?” She snapped at him. “I’m telling you there is nothing wrong with me. I’m fine, OK. I’m just FINE.”

Giles just kept looking at her without a word, worry written plainly on his face. That’s all it took to break through Buffy’s resolve. Unexpectedly, the Warden broke down into tears. Giles got up and went to her side, crouching next to her. Buffy put her arms around his neck and hid her face against his shoulder.

“Why don’t you tell me what’s really going on?”

“I’m pregnant, Giles.” She whispered it so softly that he barely heard her.

“I figured that much.”

Buffy pushed away from him and gave him a watery, disbelieving look. “What?”

“As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before, I wasn’t born yesterday.” He chuckled. “I didn’t want to mention it as a possibility because I knew you would get upset. And also because I felt it wasn’t my business.”

“I just don’t know what to do, Giles. God, all this crying gave me a headache. It feels like all I’ve been doing all day is sobbing like an idiot. Not very productive.”

“But understandable. I’m surprised you’re even here at all actually. Perhaps you should go home and get some rest.”

“What for? So I can stare at a wall and feel sorry for myself? I’m pregnant, not dying. Other women do it all the time so I don’t see why I should whine. And if I want to be honest with myself, I can admit that it’s all my damn fault for acting like an idiot. I should have been more careful.”

Giles sat on the floor, his back against the desk, his shoulder slumped as if under a heavy burden. “I presume you could have been more careful, but what is done is done. It’s nonsense to beat yourself up over this. It won’t accomplish anything productive.”

“I know, but I can’t help it. All I can think of turn out to be a bunch of ‘what ifs’. It won’t change anything, but I have a hard time being logical right now. Spike will be devastated.”

“You don’t know that.”

Buffy snickered. “Don’t I? Isn’t he missing out on enough already? He’s stuck in here while the world keeps going on without him, he has a girlfriend that he can only see for a few stolen moments here and there, and now, he’ll have to find out that he’ll be a father and won’t be able to be part of his child’s life. And you don’t think he’ll be devastated?”

“All right, you have a good point. It won’t be easy for him. But you’re going through a hard time too and you need his support.”

She hugged herself, panic obvious in her eyes. “I can’t tell him just yet. Please, Giles, I know you won’t agree with my decision, but I can’t do it. I need time. I’m asking you not to make me tell him before I’m ready. I need to come to term with the news myself before I can face him.”

Giles stood up. “Of course. It’s your decision and I respect it. But I wouldn’t wait too long if I were you. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.”

“I know.”

“Speaking of the devil, he’s waiting outside and I’m a little worried about leaving him in Harmony’s company for too long. If you’re too upset to see him right now, I can bring him back to his cell.”

“No. I want to see him. Why did you bring him in?”

“He got into a bit of a fight last night and since he was at the infirmary, I figured it would be a good excuse to bring him here without raising suspicion.”

“He got into a fight?” Surprisingly, it felt good to Buffy to worry about Spike instead of worrying about herself and her not so distant future as a single mom. It gave her brain something else to think about and she welcomed the distraction. “How is he? He didn’t get too badly injured, did he?”

“No, he’s fine. Just a few stitches, cracked ribs and bruises.”

“And you call that fine?!”

“I know it sounds bad, but believe me… the way he was enjoying mocking me earlier, I’d say he’s fine.”

Buffy sighed. She didn’t think her nerves could take much more of this. “OK. Bring him in before Harmony drives him to jump out the window.”

Giles squeezed Buffy’s shoulder in a show a support. “You’ll see, you’ll be fine. Sometimes, things have a surprising way of working out.”

“I hope you’re right because I’m starting to have doubts.”

He turned to leave the office just as a loud “RUPERT!“ was heard from the other side of the door. Giles rolled his eyes and walked out of the office to go rescue Spike from Harmony, leaving Buffy alone with her thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I promise to make the Spuffiness in the next chapter extra hot to reward you for you patience. Thank you so much for all your reviews, that's what keeps me going. :D
Men have the worst timing by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Cool new feature, of course I had to give it a try ;) Sorry for the waiting, but I had a bad case of writer's block. May will be a bit busy for me guys, but I'll try my best to update has often as I can. Thanks for your support, it means so much to me. Keep sending those reviews, I love 'em :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 35: Men have the worst timing



“So Courtney said to him: ‘You know what? I don’t need you. I’m a strong, smart and beautiful woman, and I can be on my own and still be successful and happy. You’re just dragging me down anyway.’ I was like, you go girl! Carlos was such a bastard and she’s better off without him. Us girls don’t need a boyfriend to define who we are. I mean look at me. I’m Harmony Kendall, I can have any man I want, but I won’t lower myself to go out with some loser just to say that I have a boyfriend. I’m my own woman and I’m doing perfectly fine as a career oriented single girl. I’ll meet my soul mate someday though, I just know it.”

“RUPERT!!!!!!” Spike yelled, a look of panic in his blue eyes.

Harmony looked up briefly from the nails she was busy painting with bright candy pink nail polish. “So anyway, I know that when I meet him, I’ll know it right away. It’s too bad you’re in jail, Spikey. I’m sure you and I would get along. We’d be like, so perfect for each other. Life sucks, don‘t you think? So anyway, Courtney‘s brother has been crazy about me since we were kids. Who can blame him? I was really popular in High School, not that I‘m not popular now, but I was even Prom Queen, did I mention that already?”

“Only ten BLOODY TIMES!!” Spike snapped at the woman, looking desperately at the office door as if it was the key to his salvation.

“Oh, I did? Anyway, her brother is such a loser. As if I would ever date a guy like that. I’m sure he spends all his days chatting on the internet with guys who pretend to be girls. How pathetic is that? He’s not like you. I bet you had girls chasing after you all the time before you came here, right Spikey?”

Just at that moment, Spike’s savior came out of Buffy’s office.

“Thank the bloody gods!” Spike muttered, eagerly standing up to escape his torturer. Before entering the office, he turned to Harmony.

“Oh, before I forget, pet, there’s one thing you don’t know about me.”

“What is it, Blondie Bear?”

“I’m gay.”

He chuckled happily at the crestfallen look on the woman’s face. She looked like a fish out of the water, her mouth hanging open comically. Giles rolled his eyes, holding the door open for him. He followed the prisoner inside.

Spike smiled at Buffy who hastily put away the make-up compact she had used to check for visible signs that she’d been crying. He looked at Giles who was busy unlocking his handcuffs.

“Thanks for leaving me alone with that stupid bint for almost half an hour you wanker! I think my ears are bleeding.”

“Do shut up, Spike.” Giles mumbled under his breath, his tone devoid of any humor.

The guard put the key chain back in his pocket and left without another word.

“What the bleedin’ hell is wrong with good ol’ Rups? He seemed in a good enough mood earlier. Did you scold him for shagging a coworker on the job?” Spike asked playfully while walking toward Buffy. “Because that would be bloody unfair of you, pet, considering what you’ve been up to with yours truly.”

That made Buffy smile a bit. For a second, she almost forgot her problems. Just being in Spike’s presence made her feel like everything would be all right. Maybe she could even tell him, and it wouldn‘t be so bad. Then, she noticed. The bruises on his face and the white dressing stuck to the side of his head. She stood up to go to him, a worried frown on her face.

“God, Spike, what happened?” She reached up to touch his face softly, her eyes clouded with concern for the man she loved.

“Nothing for you to worry about, Goldilocks. Just a scratch.”

“Just a scratch?! Are you kidding me? You look like you’ve been hit by a truck!”

“Got into a bit of a scrap last night. But I’m fine.”

“I thought your only nemesis was Parker. And he’s in isolation. Who did this?”

“Turns out the wanker has friends.”

Buffy took his hand and led him to the couch. Spike sat down and pulled her onto his lap. He tried not to hiss in pain when his ribs protested. No reason to worry her more than she already was.

“So that’s all because of me, then?” She asked softly.

“’course not. Things like that happen all the time here. You know that.”

“Don’t lie, Spike. We both know you were attacked by these guys because you protected me the other day. Actually, I’m surprised it didn’t happen before.”

“Probably because their Nancy Boy of a leader wasn’t around to tell the wankers what to do. These guys are meatheads who can’t think for themselves.”

“Meatheads that did a pretty good number on you.”

“They got lucky. Won’t happen twice.”

Buffy put her arms around him and hid her face against his neck. “Next time some idiot decides to jump on me, promise you won’t play hero and you’ll let the guards do what they’re being paid to do.”

“Sorry, luv. I can’t promise you that.”

She pushed herself from him to look in his eyes. “Spike!”

“What? You think I’ll just stand there and do nothing while some wanker is trying to hurt my girl? I don’t bloody well think so!”

“Damn it, William, stop being a stubborn ass! I know you think you have to be my hero and save me from the evil of this world, but try to remember that I knew what I was getting myself into when I chose this career. I’m a big girl, I can take care of myself. Beside, I care more about your safety than my own. You’re the one who has to deal with these guys every day, not me. Just thinking that you’re all alone in such a dangerous place…” She cupped his face in both her hands, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. “Please promise me you’ll be more careful. I worry about you all the time.”

Spike nodded. “All right, pet. I promise I’ll be more careful. Stop worrying about me. Nothing will happen to me. He captured her lips in a searing kiss, leaving her breathless. “I’m sorry things turned out the way they did. It’s just--I love you so much I couldn’t stand the idea of this idiot putting his hands on you. I know it was stupid but I wasn‘t thinking straight at the time. I promise to try being smarter in the future.” He added, smiling lovingly at her before kissing her lightly.

“You better.” She said, her own smile matching his.

Spike slipped his hands underneath her loose skirt to caress the soft skin of her ass and Buffy moaned against his lips.

“Awfully convenient skirt you got there, pet.” He said, looking down at the wrap around baby blue skirt she was wearing.

She could tell he had a naughty idea just by the way his blue eyes lit up and his tongue poked out to lick his lips.

“You know… I’ve been through a very traumatic ordeal last night. Don’t you think the English patient deserves a little sweetness?”

She frowned in confusion, but quickly got his meaning when he turned them around and pushed her on her back.

“Spike, you’re hurt. Don’t you think I’m the one who should be doing all the work?”

He shook his head and playfully licked his lips. “No way. I’ve been a good boy, didn’t yell at the nurse… much. I think I rightly deserve a sweet treat.”

He placed a soft kiss on the curve of her breast that was peeking out of the deep v-neck of her shirt. “I missed you Buffy.”

She closed her eyes and relaxed, just enjoying being in his presence. “I missed you too, baby. It’s been so long.”

“Too long.”

He lifted her shirt to place a kiss on her stomach, not really noticing when Buffy tensed. She tried to will herself not to think about it, but him nuzzling her belly like this only served to remind her that there was a baby growing in there. A baby that Spike made with her. At that moment, she made her decision. She would tell him. But after. Why ruin the moment when he was promising her such incredible pleasure? That would be stupid.

Buffy allowed herself to relax under his touch. She marveled for a moment at how well he seemed to know her body despite the limited amount of time they had spent discovering each other. They were always rushed, or worried about getting caught. But Spike was the kind of lover who paid attention to the woman he was with and committed to memory every single pleasurable spot on her body and exactly how to touch it to made her moan and beg.

He lifted her skirt to her hips and pulled down her panties before attacking her already quivering pussy with his talented tongue, showing her no mercy. He parted her slick, swollen folds with his fingers and licked her slowly from bottom to top, stopping only to give her erect clit a gentle suck. Spike smiled when he hear her tortured whimper, and repeated his action again and again until she was bucking her hips and shivering uncontrollably.

“You taste so sweet, kitten. Never had anything better.”

He kept his eyes trained on her face, afraid to miss any expression of pleasure on her gorgeous features, and slipped a finger inside her tight channel. Buffy’s knees were digging painfully against his already bruised ribs, but he couldn’t bring himself to care about the pain. The pure intimacy of what he was doing to her was overwhelming enough to make him forget about himself. There would be enough lonely moments later on to focus on his own physical discomfort, but right now, it was inconsequential. All that mattered was the beautiful woman laying on the couch in front of him, and the pleasure he was giving her. It made him feel like HE mattered. Like he had a place in this world other than his prison cell.

“Spike, please… I need…”

He kissed her inner thigh and purred against her warm skin. “What do you need, Buffy. I’ll give you anything you want, anything you ask for. Just tell me.”

“I need your lips, and your tongue, and.. Oh please, make me come. I need to come.”

Spike obliged her, giving her sex an open mouthed kiss. She lifted her hips off the couch to increase the pressure, rubbing her wet pussy against his lips and chin in her mindless search for release. Spike thrust his tongue inside as deep as it would go, twisting it around to increase her pleasure. His reward for his trouble was a series of soft mewls and gasps. Buffy was panting, trying to catch her breath and he could tell she wouldn’t need much to be pushed over the edge.

“Let it go, pet. Come for me. I want you to come in my mouth. Relax and let it all go… Do it for me.”

He pushed his nose against her sensitive clit and quickly moved his head from side to side to stimulate the tight bundle of nerves.

Buffy’s orgasm hit her like a freight train and she had to bite her own hand to stop herself from screaming in release. She felt like the fire that had been building up in her lower belly finally exploded and spread to the rest of her body, igniting every nerve ending. She couldn’t think, couldn’t breath. Beyond conscious thought, she wrapped her legs around Spike’s head to hold him in place while she rode the last waves of her orgasm. Spike’s groan brought her back to reality.

“Oh God, baby…” She said in a breathless voice, sitting up to look at him. “I’m so sorry! I forgot about your head.

Now free of the vice like hold her thighs had on him, Spike climbed up her body, making her lay back down on the couch. He smiled warmly at his girl. “I’m fine, pet. Don’t worry about me. Although, I’m starting to think that you might have superhuman strength. You could probably kill a bloke with those thigh muscles you know.”

She chuckled. “I plead temporary insanity. You make me lose my mind.”

“Well thank the bloody gods that it’s not permanent then.”

“Um, I’m not too sure about that.”

They shared a laugh and Spike went to kiss her, but she stopped him. He gave her a confused look.

“On your back, mister.”

He smirked and complied. “Bossy bint, aren’t ya?”

Buffy straddled his slim hips. “And you just caught on to that?”

“Well, I’ve noticed a tendency…”

“I am so not bossy. I’m like a kitten. You said it yourself.”

“I said that?” He questioned, his eyes sparkling with amusement.

“Yeah, you call me kitten all the time!”

“Maybe I should start calling you Mistress then. More fitting don’t you think? Mistress Buffy. Has a nice ring to it.”

Buffy slowly rotated her hips, rubbing sensually against Spike’s erection. “I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard making you beg. I can try.”

Spike pulled her into his arms, flush against his chest. “You don’t even need to try. I have no pride when I’m around you… Mistress.”

Buffy smiled, peppering his lips with airy kisses. She reached behind his head and played with the soft hair at the nape of his neck. She felt peaceful and happy. Spike had that effect on her. No matter how bad the situation, a sense of calm always washed over her when she was in his presence. Honestly, she couldn’t remember why she’d been so upset at the big news earlier. Things would be all right. In this moment, she was certain of it.

They started kissing again, their bodies pressed intimately against each others. Just as things started to heat up, Spike put an end to the kiss and pulled back to look into her eyes. He looked serious.

“What’s wrong?” She asked softly, wanting nothing more than to get back to what they were doing previously.

“This will sound a little funny, but I was just thinking about something…”

“What is it? Tell me.”

“I think maybe we should be more careful. I know it‘s a little late for this but I think we should use protection... Condoms. Just to be on the safe side.”

She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off.

“I know you said you’re on the pill, but better safe than sorry. I’m just afraid that if the pill isn’t as efficient as it should be, you might end up pregnant.”

All blood drained from Buffy’s face, but she tried to keep the tone of her voice as light as she could despite the thundering beat of her heart. “What? You… don’t want kids?” She tried to joke. “Would it be that bad?”

Spike frowned, obviously not amused. “You can’t be serious? Buffy, that’s the worst thing that could happen to us. That’s why I think some extra protection wouldn’t be a luxury. Our situation is already complicated enough as it is without making it worst by adding an accidental pregnancy to the mix. Let’s not take stupid risks, all right, kitten?”

Buffy nodded and quickly hid her face in the crook of his neck before he could notice the tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

“Yeah, that'd be real stupid, you're absolutely right.” She said, her voice a little cold. “I’ll buy condoms if that’s what you want.” She kissed the side of his neck to soften the harshness of her words.

Spike misunderstood her reaction. “Hey. It’s not that I wouldn’t want these things with you. You know that if it was possible, I would want it all, but it’s not possible. I dream about it all the time, you know. You and I, living the happy life like the perfect soddin’ suburban couple, the big house, the wedding, the kids running around. But then I wake up and know that it will never happen and… Bloody hell, it hurts so bad to realize that, Buffy. You have no idea.”

“Oh believe me, I think I have an idea of how it feels.” She whispered sadly, all ideas of telling him suddenly shot to hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The phone rang for what felt like a lifetime to Buffy. She was about to hang up and turn to her pint of Ben&Jerry’s for comfort, but finally someone answered.

“Hello?” A voice yelled into the phone over some loud music and laughter.

Buffy frowned, pulling the phone away from her ear a bit. “Dawn?”

“Who?”

“Is Dawn there?”

“Dawn who?”

Buffy sighed in frustration. “The girl who actually LIVES in this dorm room. Dawn Summers?”

“Sorry, can barely hear ya!” The girl yelled into the phone.

Buffy almost screamed in frustration. She took a deep breath. “Can you tell Dawn that her sister is on the phone?”

“Her who?”

“Her SISTER damn it! Argh! Just tell her Buffy called and to call back as soon as she can. I need to talk to her it’s urgent. Can you give her the message or is it too much for you?”

“Sure Betty, I’ll tell her.”

“It’s BUFFY, you dumbass! BUFFY NOT BETTY!” But the girl had already hung up the phone. “Great. Just… GREAT.”

Buffy put the phone down on the coffee table and sat back on the couch.

“Well this really qualifies as the worst day ever.” She told the empty room.

She couldn’t start crying again--wouldn’t. She’d done enough of that for the day. No, in fact, she’d done enough crying for the entire year. She was really starting to feel pathetic. She decided that going to bed sounded like a really good idea. It‘s not like she had anyone to talk to anyway. The only person she could have shared her misery with would have been her sister, and she was obviously busy at the moment. So bed was the only option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey little sister what have I done by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I'm on a major guilt trip right now. I think about you guys all the time, but just can't seem to find the time I would need to sit down and write. I know you're all disappointed with the lack of updates, but it can't be helped. I had work, annual training, parents coming over twice in one month, looking for an apartment, finding it, planning the move, and getting ready for the convention in Detroit. I'm a little bit overwhelmed right now and I hope you all understand. I just hope you guy don't get tired of waiting and give up on me :( I promise I'll try to do better as soon as things get back to normal. Not much happening in this chapter, but next one will make up for it because it will be the first meeting between Buffy, Angel and Darla. I'd like to thank whoever nominated Please Mrs. Jailer at the Fool for love awards. You rock. Also, PMJ got runner up for best Buffy characterization on Tales of the Slayer awards. YAY! Love you all and hope to see some of you at the convention in Detroit this weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 36: Hey little sister what have I done



Buffy stared at the enemy with a determined look on her face. She was strong, she had the power, she would not be defeated. She grabbed her weapon, ready to attack.

“Come on, little one.” She whispered to the tiny life growing inside her belly. “Don’t be a brat, let mommy have the toast, OK? I didn’t even put anything on it--no peanut butter, no jam, not even butter. There will be no barfing tolerated this morning, got it?”

With her knife, she cut the toast into little triangles, the way her mom used to cut them for her when she was a little girl, then she tentatively brought one piece to her mouth. She took a little bite and chewed carefully before swallowing down.

“See? Not that bad, is it?”

Encouraged by her stomach not rebelling too much, she took another bite. “Good little embryo. I need to eat to live. I die, you die too. Try to keep that in mind.”

The sun was shining brightly in the backyard, making the water in the pool sparkle as if it was dusted with diamonds. She hadn’t had much time to enjoy her backyard lately, and this was the perfect morning for a breakfast on the patio. The sight of the bushes full of roses in bloom and the warm breeze that made the leaves of the trees shiver slightly, helped improve her mood somehow.

Buffy felt a little silly for talking to herself, but it was the only thing keeping her sane at the moment. In a way, it forced her to accept that she was pregnant and stop questioning a future she couldn’t change anyway. But still, she needed to talk to someone. She had tried calling Dawn again as soon as she woke up, but got the answering machine.

“Sorority girl’s probably nursing her hang over. What do you think?”

The phone suddenly interrupted her one sided conversation.

**Thank God.** she thought. **I think I was about to answer myself. That would just prove that I‘ve gone completely mental.**

She took the cordless phone that was on the table next to her and answered after seeing on the caller display that it was her sister.

“You’ve reached the home of the mentally unstable, how can I direct your call?”

“Hi, I’m looking for my crazy sister, Buffy Summers. Ever heard of her by any chance?”

“Oh, Miss Summers. Yes, she is a danger to herself and others right now so we've put her in isolation for a little while.”

Dawn chuckled. “So, are you ‘Betty’? Cause there was a post-it next to my phone this morning saying that, and I quote: “Crazy bitch named Betty called for Dawn. Said it was urgent. Dude, she needs chill pills bad. Call her back”. Then I got a weird message on my answering machine from you this morning so I put two and two together. Betty, Buffy… Close enough.”

Buffy whistled, pretending to be impressed. “Wow, I can’t believe that airhead actually took the message. What was going on in there last night anyway?”

Dawn took a mysterious tone to answer. “I can’t say a word. What happens in the dorm, stays in the dorm. If I talk, they’ll kill me.”

Buffy snorted. “And there I was thinking that my little sister was a saint, all pure and innocent. Tsk. I can be so naïve sometimes.”

There was a chuckle at the other end of the line. “But I am innocent! I didn’t do anything. My roommate decided to throw a party; what was I supposed to do? I’m telling you… College life is corrupting me.”

“Like you needed college for that. You had me to corrupt you, remember?”

“Yeah, you were such a bad example. Still are by the way. I’ve been emailing prisoners trying to find love just like my big sister. See what you do to me?” Dawn tried to joke, but it didn’t have the reaction she thought it would.

Instead of the laugh she was expecting, she got a quiet sob.

“Buffy?… What’s going on? Did something happen? Are you all right? Is that why you called last night?”

When her sister didn’t answer, she got frustrated. “Buffy! What is going on? Talk to me. Is it Spike? Did something bad happen with him?”

“I’m pregnant.”

This shocked Dawn into silence.

“Dawn? Are you still there?”

“Huh… yeah, I’m here. You’re what?”

“I’m pregnant, damn it!” Buffy said through her tears. “Do I really have to keep saying that word over and over again? I’m trying to be in denial here for Christ sake!”

“Oh, wow. I don’t know what to say.” Dawn said with hesitation. “I, huh, well, I guess I could react two completely different ways. Squeal with excitement, congratulate you and start talking about baby names and how excited I am to become an aunt; or say that I’m so sorry. Not sure which you wanna hear.”

“Don’t you think the hysterical tears were enough of a clue?”

“I suppose. But I wanna be happy, damn it.” The girl whined. “Why can’t I be happy exactly? Why aren’t you happy? You want kids, I know you do.”

“Not like this! Not when the father might be in prison until he walks with a cane. Not when the man I love won’t be by my side to shop for wallpapers and cribs and car seats. How do you think he’ll feel knowing that he has a family out there and can’t be with them?”

“OK, you do have a very good point. But Buffy, you’ll find a way to get him out of there. And then, everything will be all right. I have a good feeling. Things can’t do anything but get better. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. You’re a good person; you don’t deserve all this bad stuff happening to you.”

Buffy pouted. “Unless I was Hitler in another life.”

“Or Rasputin.”

“Who?”

“Never mind. The point is, you can’t give up. Take it as a motivation. Be the lioness fighting for her cubs.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Lame.”

“Maybe, but true. Fight for what’s yours. I know you can do it. When you really want something, you usually get it. So go frame Angel and get your man out of prison. It’s an order.”

“Yes master. But it might be kind of hard to be credible when I’m pregnant up to my eyes. My original plan was to befriend Angel and Darla, maybe flirt a little and get them to trust me. So unless they have a fantasy about a threesome with a pregnant woman, it’s going to make things way harder.”

“Which only means you have to act fast. How far along are you?”

“Only a month I think. But I‘ll know for sure when I go for the ultrasound.”

“That gives you about three months before you really start showing. Do you think it’s enough?”

“If I make the first move now, maybe. I’m still waiting for the PI I hired to take care of the legal aspect.”

“Can’t you use that time to start approaching them?”

Buffy remained silent for a moment, staring off in the distance at her serene surroundings. She was sitting there with her mind in turmoil, her life completely upside down, and meanwhile, her neighbors were carrying on with their everyday lives, mowing the lawn, going to work, playing with their kids. It almost seemed wrong. But it was just appearances. They probably had their problems too, just like her. Maybe not as soap opera-ish, but problems nonetheless. And suddenly, she felt ashamed of herself. It wasn’t like her to let problems bring her down. Normally, she would fight whatever life threw at her. Dawn was absolutely right. She should take the bull by the horns.

“I’m sorry honey, you’re so right. I don’t know what’s wrong with me and why I’ve been so pathetic lately. Can I blame the pregnancy? I heard it does quite a number on a girl’s hormones.”

“I think it might be the accumulation. You’ve been through a lot lately. It’s normal that you’d freak you. But the Buffy I know would go out there and kick some asses.”

Buffy finally managed her first real smile in more than 24 hours. “Then that’s what Buffy shall do.”

“Good to hear. So, how did Spike take the news?”

She cleared her throat uncomfortably before answering in a somewhat sheepish voice. “Oh, he took it well… as in, he doesn’t know yet.”

“You didn’t get to see him?”

“I did.”

“But?”

“But I sorta didn’t tell him.”

“Buffy!” Dawn exclaimed indignantly. “He should be the first one to know!”

“I couldn’t, OK! I tried. I was going to tell him. But I couldn’t. He won’t take it well.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes I do.”

“Oh, so you’re psychic now or something?”

“No, he told me.”

“Not following you. You said you didn’t tell him, so why would he tell you that? I don’t get it.”

“Because.” Buffy’s short lasting good mood was long gone and she was back to emotional mess status. “I was about to tell him when he started talking about using condoms from now on, saying that it would be catastrophic if I’d get pregnant. What was I supposed to say to that? ‘Oh, by the way, I already am… Surprise!’ That would have gone over well, I’m sure.”

“OK, I can see how that was bad. I would have probably chickened out of telling him too. But you have to take a step back and see things objectively. He made that comment not knowing you are already knocked up. He was only pointing out to you that it would be bad if you’d end up pregnant. Which is true, right? You told me yourself.”

“Not sure I follow.”

“It’s like if I tell you to be careful not to drink and drive because you could get into an accident and it would be horrible. But I don’t know you’re talking to me from the hospital because you did do it and you lost both your legs in the accident. I would have reacted way differently if I had known, right? And when you’d tell me, I’d be supportive and still spend days and nights at the hospital with you. So that’s my point. Sure, when he was speaking in theory, he said it would be horrible. But when you tell him, I’m sure he will be supportive and loving, and will be happy to be a father even if the situation sucks right now.”

“It sucks to be the beautiful one sometimes.”

“Hey! I might be the brainy one, but I’m still as much of babe as you are. I have brains AND beauty.”

“Whatever you say, brat.”

“Whatever. Promise me you’ll tell him as soon as you have the chance.”

“Fine. I promise.”

“Good. I gotta go now; I have classes in twenty minutes.”

“All right. You better not sleep off the hang over during your class missy or I’ll tell mom you got drunk.”

Dawn huffed indignantly. “You wouldn’t dare.”

“Watch me.” Buffy smiled. “Love ya.”

“Love you too. Bye.”

They hung up and Buffy stood up, finally ready to face the day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unavailable by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Sorry to disappoint, this isn't a real update. Just the last chapter I posted that has been deleted... along with all the reviews I got for it. I can't believe I lost all my reviews for this chapter without having a chance to read them. I checked before leaving and I had about ten reviews, decided I'd read them when I'd get back, then I came back home and 'poof' they were all gone. Now I'll never know what you guys had to say :( Crapola. Oh well, I'll live lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chapter 37: Unavailable



"You have four new messages. Message one, Friday 4pm."

Standing on the front porch of her house, Buffy rummaged through her purse to find her keys while holding on to her cell phone with her shoulder.

"Hello luv, it's me. I haven't heard from you in a couple of days and I was starting to miss you. Hope you all right then. Give us a call when you got a chance, kitten. Love you."

"Press one if you would like to hear this message again. Press two if..."

She locked the front door and put the keys back in her black leather bag. Being careful not fall off her four inches heels, she hurried to her car, only to curse under her breath when she realized she still needed the keys that she'd just dropped back in her messy purse.

" Message two. Friday 9pm."

"Yeah, it's me again. They're just about to turn the lights off for the night and I thought I might take a minute to try calling you again. I was hoping to hear your voice before going to bed, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen tonight. Sorry for sounding like such a Nancy boy, luv. Guess I was just feeling a bit lonely tonight, is all."

Hands on the steering wheel, Buffy closed her eyes when a wave of overwhelming guilt washed over her at hearing Spike‘s words. She’d been upset after their last meeting and just wanted a little time alone to think things through. Maybe she should have at least emailed him.

"Whatever you're doing, I hope you're having a good time and you're thinking about me. I'll talk to you soon. Good night luv."

"Sorry, baby." She whispered in the empty car.

She put the key in the ignition and started the engine, then quickly backed out of the drive way without bothering to look in the rear view mirror first. The angry driver she cut off honked furiously.

"Oops. SORRY!" She waved apologetically, as if it would make the guy forget she almost got them both killed, then drove off.

"Message three. Saturday 10pm."

"Hello Buffy, it’s Wesley. I've been trying to get a hold of you at home and on your mobile since last night without any luck. I hope you're all right. I have important news. If you could please call me back as soon as you get this message, I'd appreciate it. I'll be at the office tomorrow morning, but you can call me at any time on my mobile. Talk to you then."

"Damn it!" Buffy hit the steering wheel in annoyance.

"What news, Wesley? Good? Bad? Could you be any more vague?" She asked, not taking into consideration the fact that the phone could not answer. She had been waiting for so long to put the ‘save Spike plan‘ in motion that she‘d finally lost her patience and decided that tonight was the night. Her secret relationship with Spike could not go on forever without someone finding out about it, especially now that they had a baby on the way. So she decided she couldn‘t afford to wait one more day. But maybe what Wesley had to say would force her to change her plans. It would have been kinda nice to know what news he had before leaving the house, but then again, she had only herself to blame for not answering her phone all weekend.

She turned the red convertible at a sharp angle, nearly missing the entrance to the Fish Tank's parking lot. Another risky maneuver, followed by a brutal stomping on the brake brought the small car almost between the two yellow lines of a parking spot.

Two large bikers were watching the scene with a mixture of worry and amusement on their faces. She'd come too close to their precious Harleys for comfort, but at the same time there was something incredibly amusing about seeing this little blonde California girl driving like a spaz. She flashed them a smile and they finally went back to their conversation, reassured that she had turned the engine off and there wasn't any more risk to their beloved machines.

Buffy pressed two on her cell to save the message and continue listening.

"Message four. Sunday 3pm."

"Hey, it's Spike again. Yeah, I am well aware of how this looks. Weird insecure boyfriend not getting a soddin' clue when it hits him in the face. Even the guards are looking at me like I'm pathetic. But I can't help it, I'm starting to get worried luv. You never spent a weekend without calling me at least once. I had the impression something was off last time we saw each other. I should have paid more attention. It's probably something I did or said I usually know when I'm being a stupid git and say something I shouldn't, but maybe I got so good at putting my foot in my mouth that I don't even realize it anymore. So... yeah. If you're mad at me, tell me what I did so I can apologize properly and try to make it better. OK then, I'll talk to you later... Love you."

Overwhelming guilt gave way to unbearable guilt. When she'd decided that she didn't want to talk to anybody this weekend, it never crossed her mind that playing hermit Buffy would get Spike this worried.

Buffy turned the overhead light on and used her Blackberry to send him an email. He wouldn't get it tonight because it was already too late, but at least he'd get it first thing in the morning and thanks to the time and date on the email, he would see that she sent it as soon as she got home... Even if technically, she never 'got home' since she never left in the first place.

[Baby I'm so sorry! I'm not mad. I went to my mom's for the weekend and left my phone at home. I swear that you didn't do or say anything wrong.]

OK. That was sort of a lie. But he didn't say anything to hurt her on purpose and since she couldn't tell him what he did wrong without having to tell him about the baby, then she'd have to lie.

[You might be a weird insecure boyfriend, but you're MY weird insecure boyfriend and I love you.]

Well, that part definitely wasn't a lie.

[And since when do you care what the guards think of you? Next time, just tell them to bugger off. Who knows... maybe they'll send you to my office for being a bad boy lol. See you soon.]

"There. That should take care of the guilt. At least until I fully realize that I just lied to him again."

As she clicked on send, her 'White Wedding' ring tone broke the silence of the car. The caller display informed her that Wesley was trying to reach her.

"Hello?"

There was a moment of hesitation on the other end of the line.

"... Buffy?"

"Yes Wesley, it's me."

"I apologize for being so rude. I just wasn't expecting you to answer. Your phone has been off all weekend. I was trying again in case you'd be back but I didn't think you'd pick up."

"I know. I'm sorry. I was in San Francisco visiting my mom and I forgot my phone at home." She explained, using the same excuse she had used on Spike a moment ago.

"That's quite all right. I was only worried that something might have been wrong when you didn't return my calls. I thought you'd be eager to find out what news I had for you. But if you were not home, that explains it."

"I was just checking my messages now. What do you have for me? I hope it's good news."

"I was on my way to Sunnydale actually. I'm about twenty minutes away. If you don't mind waiting, I'd rather discuss this with you in person. I could stop by your place..."

"I'm sorry, I can't right now. I... I'm not home."

"Would you rather meet somewhere else? Where are you? Are you in Sunnydale?"

"I... huh... Well, I'm in the parking lot at the Fish Tank."

"Interesting way to spend your Sunday night I must say. Does you being there have anything to do with Angel and Darla?"

Buffy couldn't help but snicker. "Believe me, this is not my idea of fun."

"I‘m sorry but I have to ask. Why exactly are you there? Isn't keeping an eye on these wankers what you pay me for? These are dangerous individuals, Buffy. I don't think it's wise to go in there by yourself."

There was a moment of heavy silence before she finally answered, deciding it was best to tell him the truth. "I couldn't wait any longer, Wesley. My life has taken an unexpected turn and time is not a luxury I can afford anymore. I need to do this now."

"Can't you wait a bit longer? A few days, maybe? The reason I was calling you is because Lilah Morgan contacted me Friday morning. She got the papers signed by a judge. I must admit, that woman is quite efficient. A copy has been sent to Sunnydale PD and now they won't have a choice but to reopen the Blackwell case. My friend Kate is working on it with her boss and all we have to do is wait for the green light."

"One more reason for me to go in there and start making with the friendlies with the psycho killers. This way we'll be closer to our goal when we do get the green light. Doesn't it make sense?"

The P.I. let out a sigh of frustration. "Can't you at least wait for me to get there? We could go in together pretending to be a couple. I'd feel much better if you were not to do this by yourself."

"No. They would never fall for that. Look, we've both observed them enough to know how they work. They get infatuated with a pretty girl, include her in their circle for a while, then get bored with her and tell her to get lost. I'm hoping to keep their interest long enough for them to trust me. They won't trust a guy as easily, believe me."

"Buffy..." Wesley tried in a pleading tone.

"Don't worry about me, Wes, I got everything under control." She lied smoothly even though her hands were shaking badly. "I'm going for the evil slutty dumb blonde routine. And we both know I'm exactly the type they go for. So it's gonna be a piece of cake."

"Fine. But I can't help but feel like I'm throwing you to the wolves."

She huffed. "This little red riding hood isn't scared of some wanna be big bad wolves. Believe me; I deal with much worst on a daily basis. I'll be fine."

Wesley chuckled. "I don't know if you're incredibly courageous or simply foolish, but one way or another, if you ever find yourself out of a job, come knock on my door. We'd be a good team I reckon."

Buffy laughed. "I'll keep that in mind. Anyway, I gotta go inside now. I'm starting to look suspicious just sitting out here in my car."

"All right then. I'm about fifteen minutes away from the exit. I'm going straight to the Fish Tank. I'll park my car in the 7/Eleven parking right next door. If anything goes wrong, anything at all, you call me and I'll get you out of there."

"Thanks Wesley. I won't stay long. Maybe an hour or two. I'll see you after."

"Good luck... And don't do anything foolish"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At last we meet by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Every single comment you leave me, the long ones, the short ones, even just a few words, are what keeps me going. I've been writing this story for a very long time now, and sometimes it gets tough, but knowing you guys are waiting for me to write more is motivation enought for me to keep going. Thanks.
Extra disclaimer: One quote was taken from Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 38
At last we meet




Buffy Anne Summers, once crowned worst actress of Hemery High after the talent show, now had to give the best performance of her life. Thankfully, the importance of what was at stake here should be motivation enough.

She walked into the bar with all the fake confidence she could muster. Swaying her hips like a seasoned seductress, she maneuvered expertly through the surprisingly crowded place and perched herself on a high stool. Buffy scanned the place for Mr. And Mrs. MacAlister, but didn‘t have to look very far. Right across from her, sitting at the u-shaped bar, were Angel and Darla. If anybody in the bar other than Buffy would spare them a glance, they’d see nothing special. A couple out to have a good time. Rude, somewhat obnoxious, a little arrogant maybe, but nothing special. Buffy saw them as her mission, and these people crowding the bar tonight would never see the monsters amongst them unless she succeeded. She needed to focus only on the mission and get it done, because nothing else mattered.

Waiting for the bartender to notice her, Buffy observed Angel and Darla as discretely as possible and quickly got lost in her thoughts. Images of the lives they had ruined flashed behind her eyes. She thought about that girl, Drusilla, who despite being a drug addict and a manipulative nut case, still didn’t deserve to die like that. She had been young still; life could have taken a turn for the better. Who knows, maybe one day she would have checked into rehab, gotten a job, start anew. But Angel and Darla had made sure that would never happen for her.

Her thoughts drifted to William, herself and their unborn child. Because of these monsters, their daughter or son would be raised without a father. They had so effectively destroyed William’s life that it seemed to be only going from bad to worse They had aimed at hurting him, and even a year later, it still kept snowballing. Now, not only was he in prison for life, but he was going to have a family outside, and not be able to be with them. Granted, he didn’t know about the baby yet, but when he found out, it would make being locked away even more of a torture. The MacAlister’s plan had worked perfectly. They definitely had fate working for them. Buffy could only hope that life would soon give Spike a break.

*It will.* She thought with more conviction than she felt. *As soon as I put these assholes behind bars.*

“So?”

Buffy looked up, startled. “What?”

The bartender was staring intently at her. “I asked you if you want something to drink or eat. Because if you don’t want anything, hon, there’s not much of a reason to be here in the first place. You’re certainly not here for the décor, are you?”

Buffy smiled apologetically. “Sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.” She leaned over the counter, exposing her miracle bra enhanced cleavage. “I’ll have a rum and diet coke without rum please.”

At the bartender’s confused look, she slid a ten dollar bill in his direction and added, “Just make it look like you’re serving me alcohol, please. And every time I ask you for a rum and coke, don’t put rum in it. I… have my reasons.”

Somehow, explaining to this man that she couldn’t drink because she was pregnant, but still needed the people sitting across from her to believe she was a party girl, seemed way too complicated.

The bartender leaned forward close to her, as if he was about to share an important secret: “Honey, if you give me ten bucks for a diet coke, you can call it whatever the hell you wanna call it.”

She laughed and pulled out more bills from her wallet. “Could you also serve two more drinks to that couple sitting over there? Tell them it’s on me.”

“Sure thing, sweetheart.”

The bartender put the diet coke in front of her and brought Angel and Darla their drinks. Buffy saw him point at her with his thumb over his shoulder before walking away to serve other customers.

*Here goes nothing.* She thought before giving them her sexiest smile.

Angel was sitting on a stool with Darla glued to his side. She was standing next to him, an arm resting on his bulky shoulders and her cheek against his. They were both studying Buffy with interest and after a few seconds passed, matching grins appeared on their faces. Buffy couldn’t help comparing their expression to the cat who’s about to have some cruel fun with the mouse. She shuddered.

To signal that she had their approbation, Angel lifted his glass in her direction and mouth “cheers” before swallowing the whole thing. Darla motioned for Buffy to join them.

Buffy’s heart was beating a steady staccato as she stood up. In no hurry to face the two homicidal maniacs, she took the time to smooth down her short black pleated skirt and ran a shaky hand through her long hair. She knew she looked great. A little on the slutty side, but great nonetheless. She just hoped her nervousness wasn’t showing too much. These two could smell fear, she was sure of it.

When Buffy was within hearing distance, Darla asked in her airy and slightly nasal voice: “What’s this for? Feeling a bit lonely tonight, honey?”

Doing her best to look nonchalant, Buffy leaned her back against the bar and looked around with a bored expression on her pretty face, before looking back at the couple. “The two of you seemed like the most interesting people in this hellhole tonight. I figured it’d be more entertaining to hang out with you than staying by myself fighting off a bunch of horny assholes.”

Obviously liking the answer, and enjoying getting her ego stroked, Darla smiled her first genuine smile.

“Good choice. We are fun, aren’t we darling?” She looked at her husband, waiting for him to agree with her.

“Was there ever any doubt? The real question is…” He gave Buffy what she assumed was meant to be an intense look but made him seem almost constipated. “Are you?”

“Depends.” She answered cryptically.

One of Angel’s big bushy eyebrows lifted slightly in an attempt at a confused expression. But despite his best efforts, the man seemed to have only one facial expression: broody. Anything else was merely a slight variation on the same theme.

“Depends on what?” Darla asked, a touch of impatience evident in her voice.

“By day, I’m as boring as can be. Boring job in boring office with boring people. But I compensate at night.” She flashed them a sassy smile. Thinking of one of her favorite movies, she added: “I like to get fucked up.”

Darla’s feminine laughter echoed shrilly through the bar. A few people glanced their way out of curiosity, but she couldn’t have cared less. She lifted her glass in a toast to Buffy. “Well, we like to get fucked up too.”

Buffy sourly completed the quote in her head *yeah I bet you do* But forced herself to smile back, and raised her glass too. “We should get along perfectly well then. Cheers.”

Their glasses clanked loudly together, and Buffy made a show of chugging down her drink and asking for another one. The bartender was true to his word and gave her a diet coke.

Darla moved from Angel’s side and made Buffy sit on a stool between the two of them. It made her feel trapped but she did her best to ignore the feeling and relax.

Angel turned sideways to face her. “What’s your name, gorgeous?”

Buffy hesitated for a second, but thankfully not long enough for the drunk couple to notice. “It’s Anne, but I like gorgeous.” She winked, making Angel chuckle drunkenly. When he failed to provide her with his own name right away, she grinned playfully and asked. “And do I call you sugar and honey all night, or do you have names too?”

Darla’s eyes lit up. She told Angel: “I like her, she’s sassy.” Then, turning to Buffy, “I’m Darla. And this is my loving husband, Liam. But he…”

“It’s Angel.” He snapped, glaring at his wife.

The blonde huffed in annoyance, a noise that sounded oddly ladylike for such a trashy woman. “As I was going to add before being so rudely interrupted.”

The two women shared a laugh at Angel’s dejected look.

The guy standing in front of the Jukebox put some money in, pressed a button, and ’Pour some sugar on me’ came on. The bartender cranked up the volume. Buffy jumped on the occasion to save herself from having to exchange pleasantries with the two psychos.

“I love this song!” She looked at Darla. “Wanna dance? Torture those horndogs on the dance floor, then leave ‘em high and dry for fun?”

Darla put her arms around Angel’s neck and kissed him. “Angel, baby, I love the way she thinks. Can we keep her?”

“I’m not against the idea.” He replied, grinning at Buffy.

She shuddered at the look the couple gave her. At this moment, she wished she was anywhere but in this place, with these people. She seriously hoped hanging out with them really would get Spike his freedom.

Darla extricated herself from Angel’s bulky arms. “Come join us in a couple of minutes to scare away all the horny losers, OK?”

“Sure thing babe. But let’s do a shot first, shall we?”

Buffy tried to find a way of getting out of this but didn’t sound very convincing. “We’re gonna miss all the song.” She pouted.

But Angel had already ordered three shots of Tequila and almost as soon, they were on the bar.

“To a new… friendship.” Darla toasted, a pinched smile on her face that Buffy was starting to realize was just her signature smile. Probably because of her tiny eyes and nose. It made her look arrogant and slightly disdainful.

Angel and Darla both downed their drinks. Buffy hesitated, but finally told herself that women used to drink alcohol all the time back in the days when it wasn’t known that alcohol was bad for pregnant women, and the human race didn’t face extinction. So one shot probably wouldn’t hurt.

*Sorry little one…*

She drank the tequila and bit in her lemon.

“All right.” Darla exclaimed cheerfully. “Let’s go dancing.”

The two women made their way to the dance floor holding hands like best friends. Not one man in the place remained indifferent to them, all turning to watch as the two beautiful blondes took a spot in the middle of the dance floor and started undulating to the beat of the loud music. They moved around each other with grace and sensuality, aware of all the eyes on them, but not caring one bit.

After the first song ended and another started, the more adventurous of the bunch dared getting closer. Buffy and Darla indulged them for a little while, but the second one of the guys dared put a hand on Buffy, Darla pushed him so roughly he fell on his ass. She glanced quickly in Angel’s direction, but he was already on his way so Darla turned to the guy who was picking himself off the floor. She gave him a contemptuous look. “Anne, darling, I’m sorry I’m a bit impulsive. Where you at all interested in this guy?”

Buffy snorted in mocked disgust. “Not at all. I usually prefer my men taller than me, and with a dick between their legs.”

The two women laughed. The guy with the bruised ego was fuming. “You stupid whores!”

He stood up and started advancing on them, but Angel’s hand on his shoulder stopped him from going any further. He squeezed hard and the other man howled in pain. He took a swing at Angel, but he was expecting it and side stepped the drunk shorter man who went sprawling on the dance floor. Angel kicked him hard enough to break something, then grabbed him by the back of his shirt with one hand and lifted him off the floor.

“Consider that you learned something tonight, my boy. Never take on bigger and badder than you, or mess with his girls. It’s basic survival instincts, really.”

The rest of the crowd, knowing Angel MacAlister by reputation, had been smart enough not to get involved in the altercation. They stayed at a safe distance from the scene.

Buffy was feeling horribly guilty. She’d never intended for her little act to go this far. She’d just wanted to prove to Darla and Angel that she was one of their kind; someone they would want to hang out with. She never wanted anyone to get hurt. But if she said something now, she’d ruin everything. She had to see the big picture. This guy might end up with a few bruised ribs and a head ache in the morning, but he’d get over it. Spike faced life in prison. The decision to cheer Angel on was relatively easy to make when seen this way.

Linking arms with Darla, Buffy watched as Angel administered another blow to the guy’s jaw, then dropped him unceremoniously. He wiped his hands on his black leather pants, as if they were dirty.

“Well, that was fun. Wasn’t it, girls?”

“Best entertainment I’ve had in a while.” Buffy did her best ‘Spike sexy smirk’. “I knew you guys were fun.”

“We’re the best. The scourge of Sunnydale. Feared by all.” Darla snickered. “I think this calls for a drink. Doesn’t it baby?”

Angel put his arms around both Darla and Buffy’s shoulders, and walked them to the bar.

After an hour of making fun of pretty much everyone in the place and trading stories, Buffy was starting to think she’d never find a way out of there. She was just about to gouge her eyes out when she was saved by the proverbial bell. Her cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, it’s Wesley.”

“Yeah, what is it?” She answered abruptly for her companions’ benefit.

“Is everything all right?”

“Uh huh.”

“You’ve been in there an awfully long time. I was worried.”

“Sure.”

“Sure? What do you mean… Oh, you’re not alone. I see. Do you need more time in there?”

“No!” She looked at Angel who was observing her. “No, damn it. I’m busy. Whatever it is, deal with it yourself.”

She rolled her eyes and mouthed ‘brother’ as an explanation.

“What did you get yourself into again?” She continued, taking the one sided conversation where she wanted. “… All right, stop freaking out… I’ll be right there.”

“Buffy?”

“I’ll see you in a minute… Yeah… Bye… And thanks for ruining my fun, AGAIN.”

She hung up.

“Sorry guys, my little brother has a way of always getting himself in trouble, and of course, I’m his knight in shining armor. I have to go.”

“Really?” Darla whined in her high pitched voice. “Are you coming back tonight?”

“I doubt it. Sounded serious. But…” She turned her cell on and opened the address book. “We could exchange phone numbers if you want.”

Angel and Darla looked at each other and for a moment, Buffy was afraid they’d say no. Maybe she wasn’t convincing enough, maybe they didn’t like her as much has she thought they did.

Angel smirked. “Sure thing sweetheart. We might have a party next week-end, we’ll call you.” He gave her their phone number and she programmed it into her cell phone before giving them hers.

“It says X. Harris on the caller display when I call. That’s my brother. The cell is under his name.” She stood up. “I had a great time.”

Darla pulled her in a quick hug and Buffy tried not to stiffen. “Bye Anne. You definitely need to come to that party. You should see the losers my Angel invited. It’s going to be deadly if you don’t show up.”

“I didn’t invite losers! I don’t hang out with losers. The only losers that are going to be there are your cousin and his annoying little friends.”

“Don’t start on my cousin, Angel.” Darla warned.

“The boy is GAY, Dar. Wake up and smell the fag.”

“Riley is perfectly straight. Get off his case already!”

Buffy smiled uncomfortably. “Gotta go. But definitely looking forward to this party.”

She waved and walked away as fast as she could without looking like she was running.

When the cool night air hit her, she heaved a sigh of relief. She jumped in her car and drove the short distance to the 7/Eleven where Wesley was waiting for her outside. He was definitely not expecting the tiny blonde woman to run straight into his arms. She hugged him fiercely.

“Oh my God, Wesley. I’ve never been so happy to receive a phone call in my life.”

“That bad?” He asked curiously.

“Worse.”

“Let’s go in there.” He said, pointing at the 24h coffee shop next to the convenience store. “You can tell me all about it in front of a warm cup of tea… Or whatever strikes your fancy.”

She was shivering in the crisp night air so he covered her bare shoulders with his jacket and led her to the coffee shop. They took a seat at a booth in a quiet corner of the shop. Wesley ordered tea, and Buffy a coffee and a slice of coconut cream pie.

“Would you like to tell me what happened?” The P.I. finally said, after taking a sip of his steaming hot tea. “Were you in any danger? You really should have called me or walked out of there if it was the case.”

“Relax, Wesley. I wasn’t in any danger. In fact, they kind of liked me I think. They even invited me to a party next week-end.”

“But then…”

“Doesn’t mean I had fun though. “ She shuddered in disgust. “It was horrible. I thought the night would never end.”

She shoveled a forkful of coconut cream pie in her mouth and let out a blissful sigh. Wesley smiled, amused.

“It’s not just that they are horrible people, it’s that I had to put on a show all night, act like someone I‘m not, try not to get mixed up in my lies…. It was nerve wracking, Wesley. I was so scared I would screw up and blow my cover. There’s so much at stake, you know?”

“Yes, of course.”

“I only had one shot at this.” She continued. “If they didn’t like me, if they found out I was lying or anything else that could have possibly gone wrong, it would have been over for Spike. I know they can’t possibly connect me to him but I was still worried about it the entire time I was there. And can you believe I had to watch that big cave man beating up some guy and pretend I thought it was the funniest thing?”

“You shouldn’t worry too much about this, Buffy. Angel beats up guys every night according to what I found out about him. I don’t think it matters much if you were laughing or not.”

Buffy looked down at her plate, playing distractedly with the left over pie.

“I know.” She said forlornly.. “It’s just that these people are everything I’ve been against my whole life. It’s hard pretending to like them when all I want is to take a bar stool and break it over that big idiot Angel’s skull.”

Wesley leaned forward to get closer to her. “But you know something? Cracking that stool over the wanker’s head will give him a bump that will last for a week; what you’re doing now might require a bit more patience on your part, but will send him to prison for life. Don’t you think the second option will be more satisfying in the end?”

A smile lit up Buffy’s face. “Absolutely.”

“And I have good news too. I talked to my friend Kate a few hours ago.”

“Kate… That’s the police woman, right?”

“Inspector.” Wesley corrected. “She had her boss reopen the case and she’s got everything in order. She has in her possession a sample of Liam’s voice from his interrogation a year ago. This will speed things up tremendously. When we get that confession out of him, we won’t have a problem positively IDing his voice.”

“That’s great Wesley. I know you’re going above and beyond in this case. I don’t know why you’re doing it, but thank you. Now, let’s just hope I can fool them to the point where they trust me enough to let their guard down.”

“Judging by your success tonight, I have no problem believing you can do this, Buffy. You certainly impressed me.”

She blushed at the compliment.

“May I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“What in the bleeding hell is an evil slutty dumb blonde? I’ve been trying to picture it but came up with nothing.”

Buffy grinned. “Ever watched House of 1000 corpses?”

Wesley stared blankly for a moment, then shook his head. “I’m afraid not.”

“Then rent it and you’ll see there’s a character named Baby. She’s the perfect example of ‘evil slutty dumb blonde’. Baby is someone a guy like Angel would brag to about murdering someone. So that’s how I’m trying to act around them. Trust me on this one.”

Wesley chuckled. “I would never dream of doubting you. You’re one hell of a woman, Ms. Summers. William Rayne is lucky to have you in his corner.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New recruit on the team by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Prayers, sacrifices and reviews will get you what you want in the next chapter... OK, fine, ONE of the things you want :D I have no shame :::shakes head sadly::: But seriously, reviews do make me write faster lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Chapter 39: New recruit on the team




Loaded with her heavy briefcase and her purse, and carrying thick files under one arm, the warden rushed past her secretary’s desk. If the brilliant smile on her face was any indication, Buffy was in a good mood.

“Good morning, Harm.” Buffy greeted cheerfully.

The other woman lifted her head to look at her, and opened her mouth to speak, but Buffy was already walking into her office. She was in a hurry to get back to work. She wouldn’t say that she had been neglecting her work, but she definitely hadn’t given it her full attention lately. Things had been so hectic since the holidays. She couldn’t believe it was mid February already. So much had happened since the New Year fiasco that she hadn’t been able to give the prison’s affairs all her attention. But after her success with Angel and Darla the night before, she felt like she could take on any challenge and she would come up on top. She felt almost like her old self again.

Buffy stopped in her tracks when she saw the red head sitting in one of the big leather chairs facing her desk, casually sipping on a steaming hot beverage--knowing Willow, probably some kind of herbal tea. The woman couldn’t handle caffeine. One cup of coffee and she’d drive everyone around her crazy with her incessant chatter, so she usually stuck to the safer choice: chamomile. She was wearing light gray trousers and a mint green peasant shirt. Her shoulder length flaming red hair was pinned up around her pixie face, green eyes bright and awake as usual.

“Willow! Hey. You’re up early. Don’t you usually start your day at 9?”

The other woman gave Buffy a radiant smile “Couldn’t sleep. I needed to talk to you.”

Buffy dropped her briefcase and purse on the floor and put the files on her desk before sitting in the seat next to Willow.

“Your weekend was that exciting?” She asked her friend with a smile, unable to hold back her amusement. Willow was buzzing with barely contained energy.

“Actually, it was pretty boring. Until yesterday morning.”

“What happened?”

The red head leaned forward in her eagerness to share what was on her mind. Her enthusiasm was contagious and Buffy found herself sitting up straight and giving Willow her entire attention.

“OK, so you know how once I start something, I don’t accept failure, right? I just can’t help it; I turn into the pitt bull of problem solving. Good thing I’m not a police inspector because I’d drive myself insane in no time. I wouldn’t sleep at night…”

“Will, is that coffee in your hands? Because you know what that stuff does to you.”

“Nope, it’s green tea. So, as I was saying--” She continued animatedly, “ --and I swear there‘s a point even if it doesn‘t look like there‘s one yet. I was in my office yesterday, tidying up and putting files up to date, when I came across William Rayne’s file.”

Willow didn’t notice Buffy tensing up, and just kept talking.

“I looked through my notes, and yours, and just couldn’t accept the ‘inconclusive results’. It bugged me and I couldn’t admit defeat. So I called Faith in my office and asked her to take me to William.”

Buffy frowned. “To do what?”

“To talk to him, what else? I just have this obsession with needing to understand that guy. I had to try one more time. I know you did a great job talking to him, but you didn’t tape it and there aren’t many notes. I needed to talk to him myself.”

“But he already told you he didn’t want to. Not that I have anything against you talking to the guy. I actually think it would be a good thing for him to open up to someone else and it might as well be you, but…”

“And he did!” Willow interrupted excitedly. “That’s what I was getting at. I went to see him with Faith because I had nothing else to do yesterday afternoon. I could have gone home, but I couldn’t leave it be. I went to him and asked if he’d reconsider talking with me. And believe it or not, he said yes.”

“Really? That’s great, Will. Did he say anything interesting? Did you figure him out? You said you didn’t sleep last night so I’m thinking it didn’t go so well?”

Why the pang of jealousy, she couldn’t tell. Most likely, there was a selfish part of her who liked being the only one Spike trusted. But at the same time, she wasn’t lying when she said it would be good for him to open up to someone else.

“He told me EVERYTHING.” Willow answered, almost bouncing on her seat.

Buffy reached out and took the mug from the other woman’s hand before the liquid could spill everywhere, and set it down on the desk.

“Sorry.” Willow blushed. “It was just so great. We talked for two hours. Childhood, move to America, meeting with Drusilla, his life in Sunnydale… and the murder. I know none of this is news to you. He told me he already told you everything. But it was great to be able to make my own opinion.”

“And what is your opinion?” Buffy asked, curious to hear what Willow thought of Spike after hearing his story.

“Well, actually… that’s why I’m here.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m not a stupid woman, and I know what I think doesn’t change anything about the guy’s situation. And despite the fact that he has the sexiest smile and the bluest eyes I’ve seen, don‘t go thinking that he seduced me into believing him or anything. I mean, he’s good looking, but I‘m not that dumb. And don’t look at me like that! He’s cute, but I’m married and I love my husband.” She added, her cheeks flushing at the amused look Buffy was giving her.

“Just because you’re on a diet doesn’t mean you can’t look at the menu, you know?”

Buffy laughed. “Will, please try to focus.”

“Sorry, I did it again.” She took a deep breath and finally said: “I don’t think he did it. Am I crazy? Maybe, I don’t know. But it just doesn’t add up. The guy doesn’t have the profile. I don’t buy that he’d have killed that girl no matter how much of a bitch she was. Not nice calling a dead girl a bitch, but hey, she really was. Anyway, even a passion crime… he’s just not the type. Guys who commit passion crimes can be nice normal guys too, guys that have been pushed too far, but they all have that little something that William just doesn’t have.”

Desperate to prove her point before letting Buffy speak, Willow talked so fast that when she finally stopped, she was almost out of breath.

“It’s OK Will, take a deep breath. You do realize there is caffeine in green tea, right? You should stay away from that stuff.” She blinked her sparkling emerald eyes in confusion. “Really?”

Buffy gave her a half smile. “Well, I don’t know for sure, but I’m starting to have my doubts after hearing your serious babble fest there.”

“Sorry, but I’ve been dying to talk to you since yesterday and every time I called you, I got your voice mail. I almost left a message, but you see in what state I’m in right now? I don’t think my message would have made much sense. You know the main reason cell phones have been invented is that you can be reached when you’re not home, right?”

“Geez, I can’t want to be alone for one lousy weekend without everybody giving me a hard time about it. I get it. I’ll never turn my cell phone off ever again, promise.”

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to get you all growly.”

Buffy sighed. “It’s got nothing to do with you, Will. It’s just that when I turned the damn thing back on, I had a bunch of messages. I swear some people were about to call 911 and report me missing.”

“Oh. That’s good, isn’t it? That means people care about you and if you ever get kidnapped, it won’t take too long before somebody notice.” Willow grinned at her friend’s perfect eye roll. “Can we get back on topic? I’m much calmer now, I promise.”

“Topic. Check. Go ahead.”

“Actually, it was kinda your turn to say something. Personally, I’ve reached my conclusion. I don’t think William Rayne killed Drusilla Blackwell. Now, if you want me to get into boring details of what made me draw this conclusion, psychological analyses, theories, references, quotes from obscure authors that you probably never heard of… I even have a few books to back me up. I noted the pages if you’re interested…”

Buffy’s eyes were wide with sudden fear at the idea of being submitted to this torture. “A world of NO. But thanks. Not that I’m not all for feeding my intellect, but that sounded way too college-like for my taste. There‘s a reason why I took a year’s break from my ongoing Psychological studies ya know. My brain was about to explode after finishing Psych of the criminal mind last year. And it didn‘t help that the woman teaching it was psychotic. What was her name again? Oh yeah, Professor Walsh. I think she was evil…” Buffy shuddered.

“You’re taking another degree?” Willow asked, her interest flaring.

“Yeah. You know what they say, you never stop learning. I have to keep up to date. But I figured with the new and very demanding job, I should take a break for a while. But, we were talking about William.”

“Right, William, who I believe is behind bars by mistake.” The two friends smiled at each other, then Buffy continued in a more serious tone. “You don’t have to convince me, Willow. I already came to that conclusion on my own. I don‘t think he did it either.”

The entire time Willow had been rambling, Buffy’s thoughts had been in a jumble over what exactly she could reveal to Willow. Part of her was tempted to tell her old friend everything that’d been going on over the past few months. But unless she’d changed a lot since they were kids, Willow couldn’t keep a secret to save her own life. Not to mention that the more people knew, the higher the exposure risk got. She couldn’t take that chance, no matter how much she loved and trusted Willow. But it was still nice to have someone else who believed Spike was innocent. It made her feel like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. At last, she had a proof that she wasn’t just very naïve to believe in Spike’s innocence despite the lack of evidence. If someone as rational as Willow, who had such a brilliant mind, could believe him too, then it meant Buffy wasn’t merely blinded by love. The only thing left was to determine exactly what to reveal, and how much she wanted the red head involved in all this.

Buffy chuckled at the look of pure shock on Willow’s face.

“Oh, come on Will. Of all people, you should know I can look beneath the surface--think outside the box--whatever. After all, you are talking to the first person who ever thought that instead of building a tree house with wood, it’d be so much easier and faster to bring my Little Pony tent up the tree. See? I started thinking outside the box at a really young age.”

Willow laughed at the memory. “And also broke an arm in the process.”

“Yeah, laugh it up. But that’s beside the point.” She pouted, making Willow laugh even more. “I was just trying to remind you that your friend Buffy can keep an open mind.”

Willow struggled to regain her seriousness. “Yes, of course. I mean, after all, you did manage to see pass Cordelia Chase’s vain, egotistical and bitchy personality and become her BFF.”

“Her what?”

“Best Friend Forever.” Willow said, putting on a ditsy look and clasping her hands together in her best cheerleader imitation.

“Bite me, Red.”

Willow finally calmed down. She sat back and looked at Buffy in silence for a moment, a cryptic smile on her lips.

“What?” Buffy asked, wondering what was going on behind her friend‘s green eyes.

“Nothing. It’s just… William calls me that.”

“Calls you what?” She asked, pretending not to know what Willow was talking about.

She knew damn well that Spike called Willow ‘Red’, which probably explained why she called her that too. But she didn’t want to sound like she was hanging out with Spike all the time and make her friend suspicious. Of course, she was about to find out that this was a waste of time and Willow, being the smart woman that she was, already had suspicions.

“Buffy, can I ask you something a little personal?”

“Sure…”

“Do you like William? I mean as in like-like him… not just like. But you know what I mean by like, right? No need to explain that. And I‘m babbling again.” She shook her head and chuckled nervously, her cheeks flushing a deep crimson.

“What makes you think that? Because I think he’s innocent? I finished Psychology of the criminal mind at the top of my class, Willow. I’m in my element when it comes to understanding criminals. There’s nothing more to it.” Buffy said quietly, not quite able to bring herself to look the other woman in the eyes. She hated to lie to Willow.

“No. That’s not it. I’ve had my doubts since that day in my office. You remember when we tried to talk to William together?”

Buffy nodded, looking a bit tense.

“That day, I left the two of you alone. When I came back a little while later, I walked in without knocking and…”

Buffy frantically tried to remember that day. She didn’t have sex with Spike in Willow’s office, did she? That would have been way stupid.

“… well I think William was crying. And there was just something about the way you were comforting him. I didn’t ask you about it, but I’ve been wondering ever since. Not that anyone could blame you.”

“That’s just crazy, Willow. I really don’t feel that way about Spike.”

“Whatever you say. But I think it’s really too bad he’s a prisoner because I think he feels the same way about you. Whenever your name is mentioned, his face just lights up, his eyes sparkle, he gets more animated… I think he loooves you.” Willow tried to joke, but it fell flat. Buffy didn’t even smile.

“I thought I was a romantic fool, but apparently, you’re worse than I am. Anyway, it doesn’t really matter who has feelings for whom and who doesn’t. I’m more interested in finding out why you wanted me to know that you think he didn’t do it. I’m sure you didn’t tell me that just to share a juicy gossip.”

Willow’s shoulders slumped a bit at that. “Honestly? I don’t really know. I know I can’t do anything about it, and you can’t do anything either. But I couldn’t file the information away and go back to my normal life as if nothing happened. I don’t know what I thought sharing this with you would accomplish, but I figured that it would make me feel better not to keep that to myself. Buffy…”

She hesitated a moment, looking down at her clasped hands in her lap.

“I really feel bad for the guy. A part of me almost hopes that we’re both wrong and he did kill her because I don’t even want to imagine what it must feel like to be in prison when you never did anything wrong.”

Willow seemed genuinely upset over this, and seeing the conflicted emotions play on her friend’s face, Buffy decided to share at least part of her secret with her. She hoped it would make her feel better somehow.

“Can I let you in on my little secret?”

Willow nodded eagerly.

Sitting on the edge of her seat, Buffy leaned forward and rested her elbows on her knees. Willow felt the need to do the same, as if they were not alone in the room.

“I’m already working on getting him out of here.”

Buffy told her old friend everything about Angel, Darla, the PI she hired and her plan to bring the two murdering bastards down. Willow listened with great interest, her mouth slightly opened as she took in all the details of Buffy’s story.

“Wow. I don’t know what to say. This all sounds potentially dangerous, Buffy.”

The blonde woman waved her hand dismissively “Nah. You know me, I’m a tough cookie. Super Buffy to the rescue. I’ll beat the bad guys’ asses, free the innocent, and restore justice in my prison.”

“Will you let me buy the rights to the movie? That sounds like a potential blockbuster.”

Buffy raised one arm towards the sky a la Super Girl, and both women burst out laughing. When the laughter finally died down, Willow asked: “So, was I right? Are you doing all this because you like him?”

“I don‘t think it matters if I have feelings for him or not.”

“Why do you do it then? It‘s a big risk to take for a stranger.”

“For the same reason you came in my office this morning. Because I can’t just sit back and do nothing, knowing what I know. It isn’t right. This man doesn’t belong in prison and if the system was too corrupt to see it the first time when he was on trial, then I’ll make damn sure it sees it clearly this time around.”

Willow nodded slowly, seemingly lost in thoughts. She finally spoke up.

“I want to help.”

“What?”

“I need to do something. I can’t let you do this by yourself. I want to help you. I’m not very brave or anything, but I still want to do this with you. Even if I’m just moral support girl. What do you say?”

“I don’t know, Will. I really don’t want to drag you into this. If something happened to you, I would never forgive myself. I know the risks and I accept them so if something happens to me, fine. But you…”

“I know the risks too, obviously since I just told you it was dangerous. I’m a grown woman, Buffy. I’m not saying I want to do anything crazy, but if there’s anything I can help with, I’d like to do it.”

Buffy looked away, lost in her thoughts. She knew she should say no. Everything inside her was telling her this was a bad idea and her instincts were usually right. But at the same time, she wouldn’t feel nearly as alone and vulnerable in this if Willow was there. She knew she was being selfish, but she made her decision nonetheless.

“Alright. If you really want to help, I can’t stop you. But if you change your mind, it’s fine too.”

Willow’s eyes lit up, her cheeks were pink with excitement. “Really? So what can I do to help?”

“Well, there’s this party Angel and Darla invited me to. I’m a little uneasy about going there by myself so maybe you could come with? It’s next weekend.”

“Sure. And stick out like a sore thumb. That’ll be fun.” Willow said, red eyebrows raised in disbelief at the idea that Buffy would think she could blend in with that kind of crowd.

But instead of admitting the idea was absurd, Buffy grinned at her friend, an evil glint in her eye. “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

The red head frowned, suddenly worried. “No--no I’m pretty sure I’m not. What are you thinking exactly?”

“I’m thinking make-over. I‘m thinking long girlie afternoon, trying on clothes and drinking margaritas, I‘m thinking…”

“I’m thinking you’re totally NUTS!”

Buffy’s smile broadened. “And it feels grrreat!”

They chuckled. Willow stood up and grabbed her mug from the desk where it had been forgotten for the past half hour. “All right. It‘s back to work for me. Don‘t want you to think the prison is paying me to do nothing.”

Buffy smiled warmly at her friend. “Wanna have lunch later?”

“Sounds great. I’ll be in my office. Come and get me when you’re ready to go.”

“Will do.”

She watched as her friend left the office, suddenly feeling a hundred pounds lighter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike looked up when the library’s double doors opened, then stood up a little too quickly.

“Rayne! What the FUCK? Look what you’re doing!”

He looked to his right just in time to see that he had knocked over one of the piles of books they’d spent the afternoon reorganizing. He tried his best to catch it but it fell to the floor despite his best efforts. The other guy working with him gave him a murderous look. And considering this was a prisoner, it wasn’t only a figure of speech.

“Look what you did, you dickhead!” The other guy spat.

In a corner of the library, a guard was sitting with his boot clad feet on the table, his chair reclined on two legs as he read a porn magazine. He looked up from his reading at the ruckus.

“What’s going on over there?” He yelled at the two prisoners, not too gently.

The other prisoner answered before Spike could open his mouth. “Nothing, sir. Just Rayne pissing me off, sir.”

“Well, get back to work. I don’t want to spend all afternoon in here.”

Normally, Spike wouldn’t have let the other guy talk to him like that, but he was too busy looking at his girl to care. Buffy was standing right by the door of the library, surrounded by two guards and a trio of men in suits.

He crouched to pick up the fallen books, never taking his eyes off her. He’d been worried all weekend that maybe something was wrong with her, but she looked fine. She was talking animatedly with the three men accompanying her. Looking around, she saw him. Their eyes locked for a moment and she spared him a ghost of a smile.

It sounded corny even in his head, but just seeing her for a second like that made his day.

Spike smiled back before returning to what he’d been doing. He started putting the piles of books back on the now clean shelves. The library was closed for the day so he as well as three other guys could tidy up and reorganize everything. He didn’t mind this. The library was his territory and he felt more relaxed in this place than anywhere else in the prison. Here he didn’t have to talk to anybody or pretend to be a hard ass. If he could go from his cell, to the library, and back to his cell every day, he’d be a happy man. Well, with a stop in Buffy’s office, of course.

And the good thing about it was that the library was one of the places in the prison where they weren’t watched by the guards all the time. Except today because two of the prisoners were there as part of their extra New Year chores. The guys were tired of paying for the New Year riot so the guards had to be more vigilant. But usually, you could go from the common area to the library without being escorted and handcuffed. In prison, you hang on to any bit of freedom you can find; which was usually not much.

Spike looked up to see Buffy shaking hands with the three men before one of the guards escorted them out of the library. He expected to see her follow, but instead, she walked towards the shelves accompanied by Faith. The other guy--Bill, Spike thought his name was--stood up. From the other side of the room, Andrew trotted hurriedly in their direction, a rag on his shoulder, apparently eager to find out what the warden wanted with them.

“All right, guys. You did a good job. I was conducting an inspection and the ‘important’ people I was with were impressed. Thank you. I think that means you deserve a break. Why don’t you go outside and enjoy the rest of the afternoon.”

Andrew raised his hand.

“Huh.. Yes.. Andrew is it?”

Wide eyed Andrew turned to Spike and whispered excitedly “She remembered my name!”

Spike shook his head. Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Yes, and I can also hear you. What do you want Andrew?”

“Mrs Warden Summer, I just wanted to say that we’re not finished yet.”

Andrew squealed when Bill‘s elbow connected painfully with his ribs.

Buffy gave Bill a nasty look but didn’t say anything to him. “It’s all right Andrew. You guys can finish tomorrow. You can go now.”

The guard who’d been reading porn threw the magazine on the table and was the first out the door, followed by Faith and the three prisoners. Just before Spike could walk out of the library, Buffy stopped him.

“Prisoner Rayne, could you hold on, please? I need your help with something before you leave. It will only take a minute…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Destroying prison property by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I believe you guys have been impatiently waiting for this. I worked my little butt off to make the chapter extra juicy and long, just to reward you for your patience. So please, let me know if you enjoyed it. Was it 'sex with Riley' unsatisfying? Or 'oh my God I need a cigarette' good? I'll never know if you don't tell me :D And don't worry, the next chapter is on his way. Maybe a lot of reviews will make me post it faster?.. I'm so evil lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 40
Destroying prison property




Spike followed the petite blonde Warden through the library in silence. He had tried to say something, but she’d put a finger to her lips, then pointed at the sign above the door that said “Quiet please”. Spike bit his lower lip, amused by her antics. Obviously, his girl was up to something. She finally came to a stop in front of two boxes.

“Could you help me carry these boxes, please?”

Spike couldn’t help but wonder if she’d really asked him to stay behind only to help her with manual labor. He frowned, but picked up the two boxes full of old damaged books anyway.

Buffy made her way to a door and he followed her, waiting as she pulled out her big key ring and looked for the right key to unlock the door. It was the study room 16a, the one that had been locked all weekend for unknown reasons.

She got the door open then moved aside to let him go in first. Buffy followed Spike inside the room and closed the door behind them. The room was dark, the only light coming from the small high window covered with steal bars. Spike bent down to put the boxes on the floor and for a few seconds she allowed herself the luxury of taking the sight in. Muscular arms straining against the weight of the boxes, yummy tight ass on display as he crouched down to put his load down on the floor… She shook herself out of her reverie, remembering that she was supposed to act all sexy, not slack jawed and drooling like a school girl. She leaned back against the door, her arms crossed in front of her and a sexy smirk on her lips, waiting for him to turn and look at her before speaking.

“I learned an interesting tidbit of information about this room today. Do you know what’s special about it, prisoner Rayne?”

Spike repressed his smirk, deciding to play along with her. He shook his head. “No Warden, I don’t believe I do.”

She slowly pushed away from the door and took a step forward. “It’s interesting, really. As a matter of fact, it’s the main reason why I decided to end my inspection with the library… So I could see if what I was told was true, and if I could take advantage of it if it was. Knowing that my favorite prisoner was here weighted heavy in the balance too.”

“And may I be so blunt as to ask what exactly is so special about this room, Warden?”

She took two more steps until she was standing right in front of him, invading his personal space. Spike held his breath in anticipation.

“So, you’re really interested to know why this study room has been locked for the past three days?”

“Dying to find out, ma’am.”

She took another step, forcing him to take a step back. The edge of the table stopped him from going any further. Buffy put both hands on his muscular chest and trailed her nimble fingers down his torso, making him shiver in lust. She leaned forward, her lips brushing lightly against his earlobe.

“The surveillance camera is… broken.”

Buffy pushed him roughly on the table, laughing at the expression on his face. He was lying there, pushing himself up on his elbows to get a better look at what she was doing, obviously shocked and aroused by her actions.

“And I intend to take full advantage of that fact, Mr. Rayne. Do you have a problem with that?”

“No, Warden. No problem at all.”

“Good.”

He watched in fascination as Buffy pulled her black skirt up to give herself more freedom of movement, and crawled on top of him, giving him a smoldering look through her long eyelashes. She advanced on him until she reached his lips, almost touching them with hers, but last minute pulling just out of his reach. She sat up, one knee on each side of his lean hips.

Reaching up, Buffy pulled on the elastic band that was holding her hair back into a ponytail, and shook her head. Her mane fell sexily on her shoulders, framing her face with golden waves. He tried to reach out to touch it, but she swatted his hand away, not ready for him to participate just yet. She wasn’t done with the teasing.

“No Mr. Rayne, not yet. Maybe if you’re good, I’ll let you play later. But for now, all you do is watch. Understood?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

Buffy resumed her teasing by starting to unbutton her crisp white shirt painfully slowly, one tiny button at a time, while shifting her hips back and forth over his growing erection. She let the shirt slide down her arms to her elbows, exposing the white lace bra barely containing her perky breasts. Still moving her hips in slow circles, Buffy let out a soft sigh of pleasure at the feel of the hard bulge rubbing against her bare clit. She lifted her skirt higher on her hips to let him see that she hadn’t bothered with underwear. Spike groaned at the sight, using all his self-restraint not to grab her and have his wicked way with his blonde goddess. Baby wanted to play, obviously.

She put both her hands flat on his stomach, reveling in the feel over his tight abdominal muscles underneath her palms. But what she really wanted was to feel his warm skin. So she went to work on the buttons of his shirt, impatiently undoing them to expose his torso to her hungry stare.

“Perfect.” She whispered softly to herself.

She got off of him and stood between his legs at the end of the table.

Spike let out a disappointed “Hey!”

“Don’t worry, baby. Patient boys usually get what they want.”

She ran her hands up his legs until she reached the top of his pants. Only a button and a zipper stood in the way of what she wanted and she remedied that situation, freeing his engorged erection.

“Is that for me, prisoner Rayne?”

“All for you, Warden. You know that. I’m yours to do with as you please.”

Buffy smiled and bent down to place an open mouthed kiss to the head of his cock. Spike was breathing faster already, turned on by her little display of authority and by the sight of her lips on his erection. She was so beautiful with her long hair falling freely around her face and that devilish gleam in her hazel eyes. He could barely contain himself.

While licking and kissing his straining cock, Buffy finished pulling his pants down and playfully raked her fingernails down his hard thighs. Spike shivered at the sensation she was awakening in him. He was amazed at how easily this woman could make him lose his mind. She was perfection. Everything about her was just pure perfection and he didn’t know what he’d done to deserve her.

Buffy relaxed her throat muscles and took him in all the way, before sucking hard as she let him out of her mouth slowly, torturously. She let the object of her lust flop out of the warm cavern of her mouth. The expected moan of protest echoed through the room.

“Buf… Warden, please. Need you.”

His cock was resting on his stomach, swollen and an angry shade of red. She knew he must be aroused to the point of pain and so was she, so she decided to stop playing games. They had been apart for too long already and she couldn’t bear to be without him for even another moment. Buffy climbed back on the table, straddling him again and attacked his mouth hungrily.

“Missed you…” She murmured against his lips between two passionate kisses. “Miss you so much, Spike.”

Realizing that play time was over, Spike wrapped his arms tightly around her and lifted his hips off the table to make contact with her aching sex.

“Missed you more.”

Buffy smiled against his lips. “Doubt it.”

He pulled away from her and huffed, giving her a disbelieving look. “Damn straight I did. Didn‘t you get the fifty messages I left you about that?”

A look of shame flashed on Buffy’s face. “Did I mention I was sorry for not calling?”

Spike smiled and pulled her back into his arms. “I’m kidding, pet. Don’t fret.”

“But still…” She tried to explain, but he put a finger to her lips to stop her from talking.

“Buffy, you don’t owe me anything. You don’t have to tell me every time you’re going somewhere. I’m not your dad. I was just in a weird mood this weekend, is all. I swear it’s all right. And who said you could stop moving?” He added mischievously when he noticed that her hips had stilled.

“Oops. Sorry. Got distracted.” She bit his shoulder playfully before sitting up on him. “Now, lie down, relax, and let me do the work.”

She reached down and took his hard shaft in her small hand, guiding him inside of her without any further preamble. She moaned in ecstasy at the feeling of his girth stretching her, pushing almost painfully against her walls, and making itself at home inside of her.

“God, luv… So amazing.”

Spike groaned in pleasure as she flexed her inner muscles around his hypersensitive cock. He reached up and freed her breasts from their confine of lace and silk, so he could play with the luscious mounds of soft flesh, and tease her pink nipples into hard peaks.

Buffy closed her eyes against the sensation overload. She started moving her hips, letting his cock slip almost completely out of her, before slowly taking him back inside. She placed her hands on his shoulders and lowered herself until her breasts were within reaching distance. Spike instantly obliged and took one of her nipples in his mouth, sucking hard on the tiny little bud. She whimpered in pleasure, never halting her movements on his hard penis, driving both of them slowly insane.

“Spike… you feel so good. Nothing like this… nothing ever felt this good.”

Unable to keep her control on the situation, Buffy’s thrust gained momentum and soon, she was riding him hard and fast. Their heavy breathing, soft sighs and moans filled the room but neither of them could have noticed, or cared less, lost in each other as they were.

The wet nipple Spike had been working on slipped out of his mouth when Buffy sat up. She arched her back, grabbing hold of his legs to stabilize herself and Spike took it as his cue to start thrusting up, plunging his meaty shaft inside her pussy hard and fast. Both of them were looking at where their bodies were joined, fascinated and aroused beyond belief by the sight of his cock appearing and disappearing inside of her, glistening with her juices.

Feeling his control slip, Spike grabbed Buffy around the waist and flipped her over so he could pound into her aching center more freely.

The old table protested loudly against the ongoing assault, but the lovers didn’t even realize until it collapsed beneath them. They barely paused in their frantic lovemaking.

“Oops.” Buffy giggled.

“You OK, pet?” Spike asked, worried that she might have been hurt.

“Better than I’ve ever been. Please don’t stop.”

Spike smirked and attacked her lips, resuming his hard thrusts. Buffy wrapped her legs tightly around him, lifting her hips to give him a chance to get deeper inside her. She dig her finger nails painfully into his back when the violent orgasm hit her. Her entire body tensed and her pussy clenched around him, her muscles preventing him from withdrawing from her. She milked his cock for all he had, triggering his own orgasm.

Spike bit her shoulder to keep from shouting his release and alerting the entire prison to what exactly they’d been up to. He spilled himself inside his girl, then collapsed half on top of her, exhausted by the effort.

“Oh. My. God.” Buffy breathed. “Death by orgasm.”

“Bleeding hell.” He mumbled. “Is my brain leaking out of my ears?”

“We broke the table.”

They looked at each other, than burst into laughter. Spike kissed her, then rested his forehead against hers.

“Destroying prison property…” He whispered before pressing his lips to the tip of her nose for a quick kiss. “Now THAT was fun.”

They remained silent, enjoying the peaceful moment.

Finally, Buffy broke the silence. “Guess who was waiting for me in my office this morning?”

“Um, don’t know. The dominatrix fairy godmother?”

She slapped his arm playfully. “No doofus, Willow. She said she saw you this weekend.”

Spike pouted like a little kid. “Do we have to talk about Red when I’m still comfortably buried inside you? It’s disturbing.”

She chuckled. “Whatever. I’m sure it takes a lot more than that to disturb you.”

He tried pulling out of her, but she stopped him. “Don’t you dare. Stay right where you are, mister. I’m comfy.”

“Bossy chit.”

“Damn right. So, as I was saying… I talked to Willow today, she was really happy. She said she talked to you this weekend.”

“Yeah. What of it?”

“Nothing. I was just wondering what made you change your mind.”

“She scared the bleeding hell out of me, that’s what made me change my mind.”

Buffy gave him a disbelieving look. “Willow? My Willow? She scared YOU?”

“Well you didn’t see the determined look on that chit’s face. She called that her ‘resolve face’ or something like that. I could just tell she would not give up until I spilled my guts. I knew it was a battle I was going to lose.”

Buffy laughed and gave him a resounding kiss before messing up his hair. “Aw, poor baby. I can’t believe she pull the ‘resolve face’ on you. That face is impossible to resist. She’s been practicing it since we were five.”

“Yeah. I tried, but I failed. And I was a bit lonely this weekend. Needed to talk to someone. Now that I know she’s your oldest friend, talking to her didn’t seem so terrible.”

“Well I’m glad she was there for you when I couldn’t be. She believed you. She was really upset this morning.”

Spike frowned with concern. “I didn’t mean to upset her.”

“Don’t worry baby, she’ll get over it. I told her I was taking good care of you… screwing your brains out ‘til you forget how much life sucks in here.”

She laughed at the expression on his face.

“Come here.”

She pulled his face to hers and suckled lustily on his full lower lip. “I love you.”

He pulled away to look her in the eyes. “I love you too, Buffy.”

Spike buried his face in her neck and peppered butterfly kisses up and down her throat.

“Spike, I gotta tell you something important.”

“Um… What is it?” He mumbled against her skin, obviously not wanting to stop what he was doing.

She sighed, not particularly liking the idea of having to stop him either, but doing it anyway. It was more than time she told him. He had a right to know.

“I‘m not kidding, Spike. It’s important.”

She tried sitting up, only to have him push her back down on what was left of the table top. “Can it wait? I’m kind of in the middle of something here, pet.” He whispered lustily.

Spike grabbed her wrists and held them above her head, pinning her under his weight.

“No, it can’t wait.” Buffy said breathlessly. Lust was fogging her own brain and the feeling of his cock hardening inside her again almost made her change her mind, but she had to tell him now or she‘d never have the courage again. “…waited long enough already.”

Spike ignored her and resumed kissing her neck, licking her salty skin and blowing cool air on the wet trails his tongue left behind. Buffy wiggled beneath him, trying hard not to laugh.

She gasped. “Spike, stop it!”

And he did. Not that he had a choice in the matter. Spike was grabbed from behind and thrown half way across the room before he could even process what was happening. Two strong hands fisted in his open shirt and lifted him off the floor before slamming him into the wall.

“I believe the lady said to stop.”

Buffy could only watch in horror as the scene unfolded under her eyes. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Testing friendship's limits by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews. You guys are the best. To thank you, here's the next chapter as promised. Enjoy and keep the reviews coming :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 41
Testing friendship's limits


A few minutes earlier…

Sitting on a plastic chair too small for his large frame, Charles Gunn was watching TV with a couple other inmates. He was bored out of his mind and wondering why of all the channels available, the guards had to leave it on the one airing Oprah. A psychic was currently telling the viewers how she was solving crimes using her ‘super psychic powers’. He looked around, hoping against all hopes that someone else would demand that the guard change the channel, but everybody seemed fascinated by what was happening on the TV screen. He sighed, wishing Spike were there bitching about missing Passions again.

Standing up to leave, Gunn noticed Bill walking into the room. Bill had been with Spike in the library so he walked up to him and asked if he’d seen Spike.

“Why the fuck should I care where Rayne is? He’s probably somewhere pissing someone off. That’s what the asshole does best, isn’t it?”

“Thanks, man, that was helpful.”

“Always a pleasure to be of help.” The large, bald guy snickered disdainfully before walking away.

“Charles?”

Gunn turned around when someone tapped him on the shoulder, only to roll his eyes in annoyance when he saw Andrew standing there.

“What do you want, Frodo?”

“I overheard you asking where Spike was.”

He took a deep breath, trying not to lose his patience. “And?”

“Well, I know.”

“Andrew, will you spit it out or do we have to stand here all day playing twenty questions? Where is he?”

The smaller man puffed out his chest in self importance. “We were leaving the library when the Warden asked him to stay behind to help her with something. That was half an hour ago so maybe he already left. But maybe he’s still there. Want me to go get him? Cause I could if you want.”

Gunn turned walked away without answering, leaving Andrew standing there.

“Want me to come with?”

“NO.” Charles snapped before walking out of the room.

“Everybody is just sooo rude in here.” Andrew mumbled to himself, before taking the chair Charles had vacated. “Oh! Oprah, yay!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present time…

Spike tried to speak, but the forearm crushing his larynx prevented him from making more than a weak groan.

“HOW COULD YOU? Of all the things you could have done, this is the WORST. Hurting a woman half you size?! What kind of a sick pervert coward are you? I’m disgusted to ever have called you my friend.” Charles spat in Spike’s face.

“Charles!” Buffy yelled, trying to get him away from Spike. But he didn’t even hear her in his fury.

“I thought you were a good guy, Spike!”

Spike managed to kick him hard enough to make him loosen his hold on his throat. But right away, Charles retaliated with a right hook that sent Spike sprawling on the floor.

“She’s the warden, you dumbass. They’re gonna put you away for good. And I’m not even sorry for…”

“ENOUGH!!!”

Buffy was standing there, hands on her hips, her face flushed with embarrassment and anger, her hair wild around her face. She’d managed to lower her skirt and button her shirt the best she could in such a hurry.

When she had the black man’s attention, she lowered her voice. “Charles, calm down. Spike wasn’t hurting me.”

The rage contorting his features changed to confusion, then understanding.

“Yeah mate, I appreciate the vote of confidence.” Spike croaked from where he was still on the floor, a hand massaging his sore throat. “Nice to see that you eagerly jump to the worst possible bloody conclusion about me.”

Letting go of his painful throat, he took the pants that were still hanging from one of his ankle, and swiftly pulled them on. Wide eyed, Charles looked from Spike to Buffy, to Spike again. He took a step back. “Dude, you’re not serious…”

Buffy looked away and busied herself tucking her shirt inside her skirt. She smoothed down the wrinkles on her skirt and ran her fingers through her hair.

Spike stood up and wiped his bloody lip with the sleeve of his shirt. “Yeah, we are.”

“But… The table… And the ‘please stop’?..”

Buffy answered this one, still unable to look him in the eyes. “Table wasn’t as sturdy as we thought it was. And the ‘please stop’ is out of context.”

“Holy fuck!”

Buffy glanced toward Spike. “You OK?”

“’m fine, pet.”

“Can you wait here? I’ll be right back.”

Spike frowned, not sure what she was going to do, but nodded anyway. “Sure. I’ll tidy up the room a bit. It’s a bloody mess in here. Someone’s gonna ask questions.”

She walked up to Gunn, grabbed his arm and led him out of the room and to a table in a corner. “We need to talk.”

They both sat and an awkward silence settled over them. Two people couldn’t have looked more uncomfortable if they’d tried. Buffy was playing with a loose tread on the hem of her skirt, her eyes downcast. But she needed to act like a grown up and say what she had to say so she took a deep breath and looked at him.

“Charles, what happened in there…”

“Is none of my business.” He hurriedly answered, not giving her a chance to explain. He wanted nothing to do with this if he could help it.

“You’re absolutely right.” She said, surprising him into looking up at her. “It’s between Spike and I, but you saw it, so it makes it your business. Look… You’re not a stupid man. You know this gives you a lot of power over me and you could make my life miserable if you wanted to. I don’t know what to say or do to convince you to keep this to yourself.”

Gunn’s eyes lit up with outrage. “Excuse me, but with all due respect… Ms. Summers…”

“You’ve seen me half naked, I think you can call me Buffy.” She tried to joke, but he didn’t smile.

“With all due respect, Buffy, I’d like to point out that I was actually trying to help you in there. Why would I go from trying to help you to trying to ruin your life?”

She blushed slightly and looked down. “I know it doesn’t sound very rational seen that way. But if you were in my position, you wouldn’t want to take any chances either.”

“Yeah well, sorry for saying that but I think you took plenty of chances when you--did what you did--with both the library and the study room doors unlocked.”

She gave him a tight, humorless smile. “Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed.”

“All I’m saying is you’re lucky it was just me. You have a lot of enemies in here, ya know. You’re the warden, you’re not exactly the most popular girl on the block.”

“…I know.”

“But I’ll keep my mouth shut. No need to worry about that. I would have even if you hadn’t asked me. I know it didn’t show in there, but Spike’s my friend. Or at least, he was. Not too sure after how I reacted. But that’s not the point. He’s my friend and I don’t make an habit of getting my friends killed. And believe me, he will get killed if the word ever comes out that he’s doing the warden. I’m surprised he didn’t get his ass kicked after jumping to your defense in the cafeteria in January, but after something like this, I don’t think he would make it through the day in one piece. So no, I won’t talk. You have my word.”

“Thank you. It means a lot to me. And to him.”

Gunn stood up. “Yeah, don’t mention it. Can you just tell Spike that I’m sorry? I didn’t mean to assume that he was trying to rape you. I should have given him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m an impulsive guy.”

Buffy smiled at the flustered man standing in front of her. “Don’t worry. I’ll make him see that you were just trying to protect me and he’ll forgive you.”

Gunn nodded and walked out of the library.

Buffy stood there for a long moment before finally going back to the study room. Spike had pushed the chairs neatly against the wall, and piled what was left of the table in a corner by the door. He didn’t turn to look at her when she walked in.

“What do we do with the table, luv?”

“I’ll lock the room and ask Giles to get rid of it tomorrow morning.”

He didn’t answer, just kept on buttoning his shirt in silence, his back still to her.

Buffy walked up to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing her cheek against his tensed back.

“Are you all right?”

“Just dandy, luv. I just got my arse kicked by my best friend because he thought I was capable of raping a woman. Everything’s great.”

“Oh, come on. Put yourself in his shoes. It did look suspicious. The broken table, you pinning me beneath you, me telling you to stop… He was just trying to protect me. He was really upset. You should talk to him.”

“Is he gone?”

“Yes, he just left. He said our secret is safe with him. He said he didn’t want his buddy Spike getting killed for screwing the very unpopular warden.”

She let go of him and forced him to face her. He was still sulking so she placed her hands on either side of his head and pulled him into a kiss. “We really, REALLY, suck at having a secret love affair, you know.”

Spike half smiled, not able to hide his amusement from her. “I’ve noticed. And I’ve also noticed you have a problem understanding the concept of locks.”

She pouted. “Are you saying it’s my fault?”

“Hey, I didn’t say anything. But if the soddin’ hat fits…”

She hit him playfully. “Fine, I’ll admit it. It was my fault. But Giles was your fault so we’re even.”

They kissed passionately for a few moments before Spike pushed away to look at her. “Didn’t you have something important to tell me?”

Buffy smiled up at him. “Yes. I did. But I honestly think we’ve had enough emotions for today. And we’ve been in here long enough, you need to go back. It’s something that we need time to discuss. It will be best if I see you in my office sometime this week. I’ll talk to Giles and ask him to find a way to get us time together.”

“All right, pet.”

They locked lips one last time, then Buffy took a step back.

“You better go.” She said sadly.

“Yeah. I guess I should.”

“And promise me you’ll talk to Gunn. I don’t want you guys to fight because of what happened. He’s your only friend in here.”

“Fine, I’ll talk to the wanker.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

She watched him leave, then sank in one of the chairs by the wall.

Another apocalypse averted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sugary treats, and sour threats by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I know I always have a good reason not to update, but I had surgery and the recovery was tougher than I thought it would be. I'm all good now and ready to write again, I promise. Thanks for being patient with me ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHAPTER 42: Sugary treats, and sour threats

Buffy opened the front door and seeing that it was only her sister standing there, rushed back to the kitchen with a “come in” shouted over her shoulder.

Left alone on the front porch, Dawn bellowed: “Happy morning to you too, beloved sister of mine.” before letting herself in.

“Sorry!” Buffy yelled from the kitchen. “I was in the middle of a delicate operation.”

“The life or death kind?” Dawn asked, walking into the kitchen.

“To my Crepes Suzette, it could be, yes.”

“Crepes Suzette?” The tall brunette glanced over her sister’s shoulder with a frown. Buffy shooed her away.

Dawn casually perched herself on the breakfast bar from where she could observe the scene without being in harms way.

“Isn’t that a dessert?”

“And your point?” Buffy asked distractedly while looking around for something.

“Well,” Dawn continued, “It’s like, ten in the morning for one thing…”

“Uh huh.” Buffy found the bottle of Grand Marnier and splashed some over the crepes.

“AND there’s alcohol in this. Not good for my future niece or nephew.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and grabbed the lighter on the counter. “It’s flambé, Dawn. The fire burns away the alcohol. That’s why it goes out on its own after a few minutes.”

She faced the younger girl with an evil grin on her face, clicking the lighter threateningly. “Maybe you want to take cover. Just in case.”

Dawn hid her face behind her hands, pretending to be scared. “Tell me when to look. And since I’m risking my life here, can I have some too?”

“So you’re telling me that not only do I have to put up with you on my only day off, but I have to feed you as well?“ Buffy lit the dessert and watched the pretty blue flames until they vanished a few moments later.

Dawn jumped off the counter and went to get two plates from the cupboard. “No, you got it all wrong. The truth is that you have the incredibly rare luck of experiencing my delightfully entertaining presence on this beautiful day, and you also have the honor of sharing this sugary masterpiece you prepared with yours truly. And in the wise words of mom…”

“…sharing is the best way to express your love, and sisters are supposed to love each other; therefore they should share and blah, blah, blah.”

Dawn grinned. “Amen.”

Buffy served the sweet treat in two plates and poured two glasses of milk. She handed Dawn hers and they made their way to the living room. They sat on the floor in front of the coffee table and Buffy turn the TV on to the cartoon channel. This had been a ritual for them when they were little girls. Every Saturday morning, they’d eat breakfast while watching cartoons. They were rarely together on Saturday mornings now that Buffy lived in Sunnydale and Dawn was in college in L.A., but whenever they had a chance, they tried to keep the old tradition alive.

Buffy smiled when her sister closed her eyes and moaned in delight after taking a bite of her crepe.

“I take it it’s good then?” Buffy asked, grinning proudly.

“Are you kidding? I think I blacked out for a second. Who would have thought you’d become such a great cook. Do you remember that Thanksgiving when mom was sick and it was just you and me?”

Buffy groaned. “Could you please not remind me?”

“You were so desperate to have a real Thanksgiving even if mom wasn’t there that you spent the entire day cooking. You turned into the kitchen Nazi. I was not in the celebration or thankful mood, but you threatened to tie me up to a chair if I didn’t eat what you cooked and enjoy it.”

Buffy pouted. “It wasn’t that bad.”

“Worst turkey I had ever had. And the yams… Oh God, the yams.” Dawn scrunched up her pretty face in disgust.

Buffy swiftly snatched the plate away from her little sister.

“Hey! Give that back!”

“Not until you apologize, missy. Mean people don’t get crepes.”

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry, give it back. It was great turkey and those yams were delicious. And did I mention the gravy? Best gravy ever. Didn’t taste burned at all.”

Buffy smiled. “OK, now you’re just being pathetic.” She put the plate back in front of Dawn and the brunette dove back into the dessert like a starving woman.

“And just so you know,” Buffy added, “you’ll be cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year. That gives you nine months to prepare mentally. That will teach you to make fun of me.”

“Yeah right, as if mom would let me cook anything after the peanut butter pancake incident.”

They laughed at the memory. The two girls finished eating in silence while watching some Japanese cartoon. When the cartoon was over, Buffy stood up to bring the dirty plates in the kitchen. Dawn followed her and grabbed a cloth to dry the dishes.

“How did you get here anyway? Did you take the bus?” Buffy asked conversationally.

“No. My roommate went on a romantic weekend with her boyfriend. She didn’t need her car so she let me borrow it.”

“Did you plan on making this an overnighter?”

“Well… yeah. Unless you have plans and you don’t want your bratty little sister around.”

“My bratty little sister is always welcomed here, you know that. But I do have plans for tonight. So I hope you don’t mind staying here by yourself.”

“Are you serious? With all the free food, free booze, satellite TV… I can even order porn and everything. It’s gonna be awesome!”

“Ha ha, funny.” Buffy gave Dawn her best ‘mom’ look and the taller girl put her hands up in surrender.

“Does that mean no porn then?”

“AND no booze.” She added sternly.

“Party pooper.”

“And proud to be.”

“So, where are you going?” Dawn asked curiously.

Buffy took the clean plates and put them away, turning her back on her sister. “I… uh, I have plans. With Willow. She’ll be here soon.”

Dawn turned around and crossing her arms, gave her sister a funny look. “You… uh… have… plans?” She repeated, mocking her.

Buffy sighed, annoyed at her sibling’s perceptiveness. “Fine. If you must know, Willow and I are going to a party tonight… at Angel and Darla’s.”

Dawn’s eyes bugged out. “At Angel and Darla’s? As in ‘the’ Angel and Darla? The ones that killed that girl and sent Spike to prison? You’re going there? With 5’2’’, 95lbs, Willow as your bodyguard? Are you NUTS?” Her voice got more shrill by the end of her tirade.

“Woah! Hold on just a minute.” Buffy exclaimed, giving her sister an incredulous look. “What the hell happened to ‘Go frame Angel’ and ‘Fight like a lioness for her cubs’ and all that stuff you were saying when I told you I was pregnant the other day?”

Dawn had the decency to look embarrassed. She went to sit at the kitchen table, shoulders slumped in defeat. “I said that, didn’t I?”

Buffy went to sit in front of her. “Pretty much, yes.”

“I guess it’s different when you’re faced with the fact. Saying this in the middle of a conversation, not exactly the same as knowing you’re going there tonight. Are you sure about this, Buffy?”

She waited a beat before answering, but when she did, her voice held no doubt. “Yes I am. I don’t think anything will happen tonight, at least anything that will get Spike out of jail. They don’t know me enough yet to share their dark nasty secrets, but it’s a step forward and I need to do this. I’m confident that this is all going in the right direction and that there’s a chance I’ll get what I want. I don’t know, maybe it’s the fact that I’m actually taking action that makes me feel more positive. But in any case, it’s better than sitting on my ass and complaining about the situation.”

“Yeah, I guess. But you can’t blame me for worrying about you. You’re pregnant…”

“Not invalid. And besides, I don’t think they’d attack me or anything. It’s just a party.”

“When did you meet them? You didn’t even tell me.”

“Sorry kiddo, everything happened at the same time and I forgot to call you. I met them at the bar last week.”

“And I guess it went pretty well if they invited you to a party.”

“Yeah, they seemed to like me a lot.”

Dawn snorted. “I knew they were crazy.”

Buffy opened her mouth, feigning to be shocked. “Excuse me?”

“Oh, I’m sorry, did I hurt your feelings? I meant that you’re adorable, of course.” She laughed, clearly amused by her own joke. “So, are you gonna tell me how they are?”

“Pretty much what you’d expect. Sleazy, trashy, nasty, obnoxious. Basically, not so nice people. And I acted just as badly so they really liked me. Which is what I wanted so yeah, it went well.”

“And what does Willow have to do with all this? Does she know about Spike? I feel like I missed an entire chapter.”

“Nah, you didn’t miss all that much. Willow doesn’t know. I don’t want her to know so be careful what you say in front of her later on when she arrives.”

“Hey, I’m a little insulted. Do you think I have that big a mouth?”

Buffy just raised an eyebrow without answering.

“Fine, whatever. I won’t say a word. Does she know you’re pregnant?”

“No. So again…”

“Yeah, yeah, not a word. I get it. But you still haven’t told me why she’s going to this party.”

“Will came to me to other day to tell me she believes William is innocent. I told her I thought so too and when she said she wanted to do something to help him, I told her about my plan. I asked her if she wanted to come to the party with me because, honestly, I’m a little nervous going there by myself.”

Dawn nodded silently, apparently lost in thoughts. “And why is she coming here so early?” She finally asked.

“Huh… did you ever meet Willow? Do you seriously think she could go to a party with these people and blend in?”

Dawn’s face lit up. “Make over?”

“Absolutely!”

The sisters’ laugh was suddenly interrupted by Buffy’s Blackberry ringing. She looked around, not sure where she’d put it, but quickly located the ringing device on the kitchen counter. She stood up and went to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hey beautiful.”

Buffy looked down to hide the silly grin that automatically appeared on her face at hearing her lover’s voice. But not fast enough for Dawn not to notice. The girl put her hands together and batted her eyelashes mockingly while whispering “Oh Spike, I missed you soooo much baby!”

Buffy rolled her eyes and turned her back on her sister, trying to ignore her antics.

“Hey baby, how are you?”

Dawn stood up and came up behind her sister, making kissing noises in her ear. Buffy pushed her away to no avail. She finally turned to her little sister and gave her a murderous look.

“Would you quit it already? He’s only got fifteen minutes!”

“Geez, sorry.” She put her face close to the phone and yelled “HI SPIKE!”

On the other end of the line, Spike chuckled.

“Don’t encourage her,” Buffy scolded. “She’s being a brat.”

“Come on, put the phone to her ear for a second.”

“Fine.”

Buffy took the Blackberry and put it to her sister’s ear.

“Hi nibblet.”

“Hi Spike!”

“Try not to drive your sister barmy or I’ll never hear the end of it, all right pet?”

Dawn giggled. “Fine. I’ll try to behave. Bye Spike.”

“Bye nibblet.”

Buffy took the phone back and Dawn went to sit back at the kitchen table.

“Sorry about that. I fed her sugar this morning, it always does that to her. I should know better.”

“Having a good time with your little sis, pet?”

“Yeah. She showed up on my door step this morning. We had breakfast together and watched cartoons.”

“Sounds fun.”

“What did you do this morning?”

“I had one of those rare good morning actually. Woke up at 8, had porridge that tasted like glue, then I went outside and found a quiet corner to read that book I just started. It’s really good.”

“Are things OK between you and Gunn now?”

“…”

“Spike, you did talk to him, right?”

“If by talking you mean exchange of words, then yeah, we talked.”

“Are you telling me you haven’t talked about what happened yet?”

“We haven’t spent that much time together this week.”

“Spike, it’s been DAYS. He’s your friend. You have to discuss this. He felt really bad for what happened, and I know you’re pissed that he jumped to conclusions about you. You can’t just leave it like that.”

“All right, I’ll talk to him. Bloody hell, woman.”

“You can ‘bloody hell’ me all you want, but you’ll bloody thank me when you still have a friend, mister.”

“OK pet, I’ll do it. Promise. Now, speaking of talking about things, wasn’t there something you were supposed to tell me about this week?”

**crap**

Buffy shut her eyes and winced. “I’m so sorry, Spike. Things have been insane this week and Giles went to Chicago for a seminar. I know I kept telling you tomorrow, then tomorrow I’d say tomorrow and yesterday, I was finally supposed to see you and then something happened, and…”

“Pet, slow down. I know, it’s all right. Don’t fret over this. I just thought maybe you could tell me now.”

Buffy swallowed hard, then licked her suddenly dry lips. She glanced toward Dawn only to see the younger girl staring intently at her, listening to every word.

“Spike, it’s really, really not something I can tell you over the phone. Believe me. I know you’re surrounded by people right now and you have no privacy at all. I prefer telling you in person.”

When he spoke again, there was concern in his voice. “Is it that bad, luv? You don’t… want to end things between us, do you?”

“What?” She exclaimed, horrified by the thought. “NO! Of course not. It’s not bad, it’s just… Damn it, can you just trust me on this? Please?”

From the corner of her eye, she could see Dawn’s countenance change dramatically. She was slowly shaking her head, the look of disapproval in her blue eyes stating clearly that she understood what the conversation was about. Buffy tried her best to ignore her.

“Baby please, don’t worry. It’s nothing bad, or at least, not that kind of bad. I’ll tell you soon, I promise, but I don’t want you to worry.”

“And the more you repeat that you don’t want me to worry, the more bloody worried I get. But I’ll wait if you say it has to be said face to face. It’s not like I have a soddin’ choice in the matter.”

“Are you mad?” Buffy asked in a tiny voice.

“No pet, I’m not mad. I’ve just been waiting all week to find out what the big secret was and I’m getting curious, is all. Sorry if I’m being a wanker. Weekends do that to me because you’re not here.

She smiled a little at that. “Sorry. Maybe I could start working seven days a week. I could give an all new meaning to the word workaholic.”

Spike chuckled at that. “No pet, wouldn’t want my girl to be exhausted. You work hard enough as it is. I’m sorry,” He added sadly, “I have to go. I ran out of time and the guard is telling me to hang up.”

“All right. Have a good weekend. I’ll see you on Monday.”

“Can’t wait. Bye kitten.”

“Bye. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

Buffy hung up reluctantly, then turned to face her sister’s wrath.

“How could you?”

“What?” Buffy asked innocently.

“Buffy Anne Summers! I can’t believe you. You haven’t told him yet??”

“I didn’t get a chance to.”

“Liar! You’ve known for almost a month! Don’t try to make me believe you haven’t seen him or talked to him for a month because I don’t believe you.”

“I have seen him, and I have talked to him, Dawn, but the circumstances weren’t favorable to that sort of talk. And every time I was about to tell him, something would come up.”

“Buffy, no offence, but if you really wanted to tell him, you would have. You’re the warden, it’s your prison, you do whatever you want to do. When it comes to finding ways to see him because you miss him, you’re never out of ideas.”

Buffy stood up and went to the kitchen to make coffee, needing to get away from her sister. She knew Dawn was right and it was making her angry. “You have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s not that easy.”

“Isn’t it?”

“No it’s not!” Buffy snapped angrily.

“Really?” Dawn said, following her sister in the kitchen. “You know what I think? I think you’re getting pissed off because I’m right. The truth is, you’re being a coward and you’re pissed at yourself.”

“Fine!” Buffy yelled. “I’m a coward. Feel like switching place with me for a week, see if my life is so fucking easy, Dawn? I really wouldn’t mind having your life right now. Your biggest problem is respecting deadlines for schoolwork,which college boy to make out with, making sure you get invited to the coolest parties and that you hang out with the coolest people. Well guess what? My life IS scary right now. And yes, I’m scared of telling Spike and I’m probably subconsciously stalling. It’s stupid and immature of me but I feel like as long as he doesn’t know, it doesn’t hurt him. Judge me all you want, Dawnie, but you‘re not in my shoes.”

“I’m not judging you. But Buffy, if you don’t tell him... I will.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest and took a step toward Dawn. “You wouldn’t dare.”

Dawn took a step closer to her sister. “Watch me.”

“This is none of your business, Dawn.” Buffy said through clenched teeth.

“You’re wrong. It is because when it all blows up in your face, it’s my shoulder you’ll cry on.”

Buffy narrowed her eyes at her sister. “All right. I’ll put your name on the list of people who aren’t allowed to visit him or talk to him if I have to.”

“ARGH! GOD!” Dawn threw her arms up. “I’m gonna walk away because I really want to shake some sense into you right now and you’re so small that I’d probably cause you some internal injuries. Considering you’re already brain damaged, it would be kinda mean.”

“I’m not brain damaged and don’t walk away in the middle of a fight. I’m not done!”

“You’re not done? You obviously haven’t been listening to some of the stuff coming out of your mouth because none of it makes any sense and you really should quit while you‘re ahead. I mean, come on! Miss “Oh I don’t want to hurt him” and then later on you threaten to stop one of the only people he has from visiting him? Wow, you really DO care.”

A part of Buffy really did want to keep screaming at Dawn, but somehow, her anger deflated. “I didn’t mean that and you know it. I was just… I didn’t know what to say. You started it by saying that you’d go ahead and tell him.”

“I was trying to get you to wake up and smell the coffee, Buffy. Of course I wouldn’t tell him. It’s not my place to do that. But I can’t let you ruin your relationship with Spike and just sit back and watch. When he finds out that you lied to him about this, it will cause damage that you won’t be able to fix. You know it.”

Buffy sat down and put her head in her hands. “I need more time.”

“You don’t have more time. You’re two months pregnant. It’s not like you can pause your pregnancy to buy yourself time. If you tell him right now, you can still pretend you just found out. If you wait any longer, it won’t be possible anymore and he’ll know that you waited that long to tell him. How do you think he’ll feel knowing that all this time you were seeing him, you knew you were pregnant with his child and you were not telling him? He deserves to know.”

“I know.” Buffy said quietly. “You’re right.”

“You’re keeping everyone you love in the dark, you’ll have to tell them one day or another. Mom, Cordelia, Xander…”

“Hey! You won a battle, don’t start a war. It doesn’t always pay to be too ambitious. I said you were right and I will tell Spike Monday.”

She didn’t need to look up to know there was a satisfied smirk on her sister’s lips.

“Don’t gloat.”

“I’m not. I’m just…”

“Gloating.”

“Enjoying being right is more like it.”

“Which is basically the same thing.”

“I’m sorry I was mean.” Dawn said, offering the olive branch.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you like a crazy woman.”

Dawn went to kneel next to where Buffy was sitting and put her arms around her sister. They hugged in silence for a moment, enjoying the calm after the storm.

“Buffy?”

“Hum?”

“I don’t need to be in your shoes to know that life has been tough for you lately. I’m sorry if I sounded like I don’t get it. But I do. Get it, I mean. I know you’re having a tough time, but I’m sure it’ll get better. And also… I really don’t mind when you cry on my shoulder. I don’t know why I said that. That’s what sisters are for, isn‘t it?”

Buffy smiled down at her sister, and with one hand, tucked her long brown hair behind her ears in a familiar gesture. “I know Dawnie, it’s OK.”

“And I wasn’t really gonna shake you or anything.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “All right, can we move on?”

Dawn pulled away from the hug and grinned at Buffy. “Yeah, let’s move on.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quality time with good friends by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews. You guys are the best. I hope you'll enjoy this chapter. I'll try to finish the next chapter as soon as I can, possibly this weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHAPTER 43: Quality time with good friends

Spike dragged his feet all the way across the yard, apparently not so eager to reach his destination. He stopped and took a moment to look around, taking in the familiarity of the surroundings. The California sun was shining brightly in the sky, almost obscenely cheerful in the gloomy décor that was the prison‘s yard.

Two guards were patrolling along the walls and were looking down at the prisoners. Khaki uniforms, shotguns strapped to their backs and mirror sunglasses on their faces. They probably thought it made them look tough, but in Spike’s eyes, they still looked like pathetic poofters on a power trip.

All around him, the guys were enjoying a lazy weekend morning under the sun, walking around aimlessly, sitting on benches, smoking cigarettes, and exchanging lewd jokes. The obnoxious laughter and utter lack of education surrounding him was normally hard to bear, but this morning it only made him want to rush back inside and lock himself in his cell. Stay alone with himself and pretend this world didn’t exist or if it must, that he wasn’t part of it. God, he hated this place. Buffy would probably point out that it was one more reason to keep walking and go talk to Gunn so he wouldn’t lose the only friend he had inside these walls. And she would be right, of course.

Spike pulled out a cigarette, lit it and after taking a long drag, resumed his trek. He could see Gunn on the other side of the yard, shooting hoops by himself. He was alone, no one anywhere near him, so it would be a perfect time to talk without being overheard.

As he got closer, he shoved his hands in his uniform pockets to try hiding his discomfort. Cigarette dangling casually from his lips, Spike stopped a few feet away from where Charles was dribbling.

“Hey mate, can we talk?”

Charles stopped dribbling. He caught the ball with both hands and straightened up, holding it at his chest. “You wanna talk?”

“Yeah.”

“Fine, let’s talk.” With one sharp move, he threw the ball at Spike.

Hands still in his pockets, Spike watched the basket ball come at him with an indifferent eye. It bounced off his chest and rebounded on the pavement a couple of times. Charles rolled his eyes.

“You’re supposed to catch the ball.”

Spike raised an eyebrow at his friend. “Have I ever given you a reason to believe that I have any interest in playing with a ball? I watch football… European football. That‘s as far as my involvement with sports goes, mate.”

“Dude, I have images of your nasty white ass burned in my mind, I think it’s only fair that you’d make an effort and play a little basketball with me.”

Spike sighed and rolled up his sleeves. “There’s nothing nasty about my ass, mate.”

He bent down to pick up the ball then threw it hard and fast at his snickering friend. Charles raised his arm to protect himself against the attack. “Hey!”

Spike shrugged his shoulders, trying his best to look innocent. “It slipped out of my hands?”

Gunn picked up the ball and started dribbling. Spike got closer to him and after following his friend’s every move for a few seconds, found an opening and used it to steal the ball back. He dribbled around Gunn and without any effort or hesitation, threw the ball in one smooth, precise arch, right through the hoop.

“’said I didn’t like playing sport, never said I wasn’t bloody good at it.” He smirked and after taking a last drag of his cigarette, he dropped it and crushed it under his boot, ready for action.

His pride in jeopardy, Gunn picked up the pace and focused his attention on the game. The two men circled each other, looking for weaknesses and opportunities to steal the ball back and score. After a good fifteen minutes of running around the court and very few words exchanged besides taunts and empty threats, Spike had enough. One good feint, he ducked, side stepped Gunn, ran to the hoop, jumped up and slammed the ball through its intended target.

Spike picked up the ball and kept it in his hands, turning to face Charles.

“Hey, you’re not supposed to hold it for that long. You can’t ignore the rules because you’re British, you know.”

After a long moment of silence, Spike finally spoke. “You might have the image of my nasty white ass burned into your mind, but I have to deal with the fact that my friend assumed I’m the kind of man who would rape a woman.”

Gunn visibly deflated under Spike’s piercing gaze. “I guess letting you win wasn’t enough to make you forgive me then?” He tried to joke, clearly uncomfortable.

“You didn’t let me win, you pansy, and we both know that. And try being bloody serious for a minute. This is important. Buffy was right, avoiding the topic won’t make it go away. We‘ve been avoiding it for a week, it‘s time to talk now.”

He hesitated for a moment, looking down at the ball he was still holding. Charles waited patiently for his friend to finish speaking his mind, not knowing what to say himself.

“What were you thinking, mate? What in the bleeding world would make you jump to that conclusion? Did I ever give you any reason to believe that I’m that type of guy? I don’t get it.”

“I don’t know, OK? I just don’t know. I didn’t think, I just reacted. It’s not like I had the chance to pause the moment, sit down and try to figure out what was going on. How was I to know you had an affair with…” Realizing he’d raise his voice, Charles looked around to make sure nobody was close enough to hear their conversation before continuing. “Ya know… her. Dude, believe me… If you’d been the one to walk into the room that day, you would have drawn the same conclusions. You would have done exactly what I did. It has nothing to do with friendship.”

Spike looked away, obviously unwilling to respond to this. The logical part of him couldn’t help but agree with Charles. But feelings aren’t logical by any means.

“Spike, man, try for two seconds to put yourself in my shoes. You walk into a room, it’s dark, and you see me holding, I don’t know--let’s say that guard, Faith. You see me half naked, holding Faith down, and she’s saying ‘stop’. Wouldn’t you act first, ask questions later?”

Spike sat down with a sigh, his back against the brick wall of the prison. He mumbled something under his breath.

“What was that?”

“I said, maybe… Fine, you’re right. That’s what I would have done too. Are you bleedin’ happy now?”

“Happy would be stretching it a bit, but I’m sure glad you very reluctantly try to see my point.”

“Doesn’t change anything though. I know admitting this will earn me the poofter of the year title, but… you hurt my feelings.”

“And I feel really bad about it. And no matter how big a poofter you are, you’ll always be my buddy.” Charles smiled and punched Spike‘s arm playfully.

“Watch it, you wanker.” Spike scolded.

“You know…” Gunn hesitated, unsure if he should say what he was about to say, but taking the risk anyway. “None of this would have happened if you had told me about you and the warden having a little thing on the side.”

Spike narrowed his eyes at Gunn, not sure what he wanted to react to first: the ‘little thing on the side’ comment, or the fact his friend was saying this whole mess was all his fault in the first place. “I cannot believe you just bloody well said that.” he finally managed to say.

Charles swallowed hard when he saw the look on his friend’s face. The way his jaw was twitching and his neck muscles tensed were never a good sign. He put his hands up and opened his mouth to explain himself, but Spike didn’t give him a chance to speak.

“It is not a ‘little thing on the side’.” He spat the words as if they were poisonous. “Buffy and I are in love. Do you seriously think she’d be dumb enough to risk her bloody job over a meaningless shag? And how dare you blame all of this on me? Suddenly it’s all my fault for being the trustworthy type of bloke and keeping my mouth shut about something that could hurt the woman I love if it ever comes out?”

“I’m your friend, man. Why would you think I’d rat out on you?”

“Listen to me, wanker. Just by discussing this here and now, we’re taking the chance that someone might overhear our conversation. There’re a lot of people in this prison who are just dying to have something against Buffy. It’s a risk I can’t take. The more people know, the more dangerous it gets. One slip, one guard overhears and happens not to like her, and it’s over for her. You get what I’m saying? That‘s why I didn‘t tell you anything.”

Charles nodded his understanding. “Yeah, I guess that makes sense.”

Spike ran fingers through his hair and sighed. “I’m always worried, mate. It feels like all I ever do is look over my shoulder to make sure no one is getting suspicious. I’m in my cot at night, wondering if I forgot to sign out of my email account. What if I forgot and the guy using the computer after me reads my soddin’ emails? She never uses her real name of course, but it did happen in the past that some of our emails had details in them that could lead to her. I‘m even paranoid when I write in my own journal. I‘m this close from losing my soddin‘ marbles, you know.”

“Don’t bite my head off, but--is it worth it? Is seeing that woman once in a while worth all the headaches and the stress?”

“Every second of it. Did you miss the part where I said I’m in love with her?”

“Nope I didn‘t miss that part. In fact, I wanted to write it down somewhere, but I left my notepad in my cell. I think I’ll manage to remember though.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Cute.”

“I have a lot of practice.”

The two men grinned at each other, finally relaxing.

“Are we good, man? This week sucked with all the awkwardness, I don’t want things to stay like that.”

Spike stood up and took another cigarette out of his pack. “Yeah, we’re good.” He said before lighting it. “Under one condition though.”

Gunn stood up as well and gave his friend a curious look. “What‘s that?”

“You never make me play basketball again.”

“What?” Charles exclaimed with disappointment. “But you’re so good at it! It’d be crime to let that talent go to waste.”

“I’m also good at kicking your arse, doesn’t mean I have to do it.”

Spike started walking in the direction of the main building, leaving Charles a few feet behind.

The tall black man shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, I guess you have a point there. Hey,” He said, trying to catch up with Spike. “You‘re gonna give me details, right? I‘m your buddy, that‘s what we do… We share raunchy details about our sexy encounters. Except that in this case, you‘re the only one who gets sexy encounters. But still…”

Spike raised a scarred eyebrow while giving Gunn a disbelieving look.

“Oh come on! Anything at all will do. I live vicariously through you now.”

Spike laughed at the look on his friend’s face. “Sorry mate, not gonna happen.”

Gunn shoved his hands in his pockets and kicked at some gravel.

“Selfish bastard.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dawn stood behind Willow, who was seated at Buffy’s kitchen table. She was examining the shoulder length tresses with a critical eye, as if she was an expert in hair styling, and running her fingers through Willow‘s coppery mane. On the table in front of them were what Willow referred to as the torture instruments. Both Buffy and Dawn’s entire make-up collection combined: nail polish, fake nails, fake lashes, and the scariest items of all, scissors and a box of crimson hair dye.

“Uh hum.“ Dawn nodded, the wheels turning in her head. “Yes… I see.”

“You see what exactly back there Dawnie? Not that I don’t trust you but… I don’t trust you.” Willow’s panicked green eyes were fixated on the pair of scissors that were gleaming menacingly in the afternoon light. “Buffy?.. Help?”

But Buffy was too busy painting her own nails a lustrous shade of burgundy to spare her friend a look.

“Don’t worry, Will.” She said dismissively without looking up at her terrified friend. “Dawn has cut my hair many times. She’s good.”

“But…”

Before another word could cross her lips, Dawn had snatched the scissors from where they were sitting on the table, and unceremoniously cut the first strand.

Willow let out a strangled squeak, and shut her eyes tight. “Let me know when it’s over.”

“Stop acting like a big baby, you’re making me nervous. I’m holding scissors to your head, you don’t want me to be nervous, do you?”

“Dawn, don’t tease her.”

Willow put on a brave smile. “No, it’s fine. I trust her. After all, it’s just a hair cut, right?” She said, her fingers holding on to the edge of the table so tightly that her knuckles were white. “Why am I getting a hair cut again?”

Buffy put the lid back on the nail polish and put the tiny bottle down on the table before starting to blow on her nails to make them dry faster. “I told you, you looked too nice. You looked all sweet and innocent with your hair like that.”

“Maybe it’s just my face that looks sweet and innocent. You’re not going to tell me that Dawn is a good plastic surgeon too, are you? Because I’m sorry but no matter how much you tell me to trust her, if she comes anywhere near my face with a knife, I’m out of here.”

Both Buffy and Dawn chuckled at the idea.

“You guys are making fun of me. That’s not nice. I’m not feeling the love here. I need moral support; this is a very traumatizing experience.”

“Sorry, Will.” Buffy apologized. “But you should relax and enjoy. This is supposed to be fun. Pampering ourselves and doing girly stuff. Come on, isn’t it fun?”

“I think she needs another Margarita.” Dawn commented, her eyes still on the task at hand.

Buffy served Willow a Margarita. After another fifteen minutes, the kitchen floor was covered in red hair, and Dawn’s masterpiece was done. When Buffy grabbed the hair dye box and took Willow’s hand to make her friend follow her to the sink, the red head didn’t even bother to complain or argue. She knew she had no chance of winning against two Summers women. So she let Buffy apply the bright red concoction to her newly shorn hair and waited the required thirty minutes patiently until Buffy could rinse the stuff out of her hair.

“I better not look like a clown. I promise that if I look like a clown, this clown is not going to any party with you tonight.”

Buffy smiled down at her friend while running warm water through her now deep crimson colored hair. “With a cute face like yours, you’d be pretty even with blue hair… Which it is NOT… Blue I mean. It’s not blue so don’t freak. It’s actually pretty cool. I think you’ll like it.”

“You think so?

“I don’t think so, I know so. Come on, let’s go blow dry this so I can show you the final result.”

After another fifteen minutes of blow drying, applying some pomade to make the choppy bob even choppier and edgier, Buffy started doing Willow’s make up.

“But, Buffy, it’s only 2 in the afternoon. The party is tonight. Isn’t it too early to be doing her make up?” Dawn asked.

“It’s just practice for tonight. Besides, I want the look to be just right when she sees the hair.”

“Could you guys please not talk like I’m not in the room? It’s creepy.”

“Sorry, Will.” They both said at once.

Buffy applied the final touch to Willow’s make up. The black smoky shadow around her eyes made the emerald green of her iris brighter, almost translucent, and a neutral peach lip gloss put the finishing touch to her new, edgier look.

Finally, Buffy gave Willow a handheld mirror so she could admire the result.

Buffy and Dawn stood by, waiting anxiously for the verdict as Willow looked silently into the mirror. Finally, Dawn couldn’t take it anymore.

“So? You like it?”

Willow was blushing bright red. “It’s just… so… I don’t know what to say. What--what do you guys think?”

“Will, even if I tell you I think you look incredibly hot, it doesn’t matter. It’s what you think that matters.” Buffy said, trying to be sensible and stop herself from squealing and jumping up and down like an excited teenager. The truth was Willow looked incredible.

“Come on; at least tell me if you like the hair cut.” Dawn pleaded with the speechless woman who was still staring in the mirror.

Then, Willow started giggling like a mad woman. Buffy and Dawn looked at each other, wondering if she’d lost her mind.

“Is it… that bad?” Buffy asked.

“No, it’s awesome! I love it. I feel like a new person. I feel like I can go to this party tonight, and not stick out like a sore thumb. Do you have any idea how much I regretted telling you I’d go with you? I was so nervous. But this makes me feel so much better. Who would have thought a makeover could have such an effect on a girl?”

She stood up and went to hug Buffy and Dawn, wrapping one arm around each one of them.

“Thank you!”

“You’re welcome.”

“All right! So, what am I wearing?” She asked cheerfully. “This party’s gonna be fun!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
White trash just wanna have fun by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Happy New Year everybody!! Here's a little present for you. I hope you'll enjoy it. Let me know, leave a review
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 44: White trash just wanna have fun

“This party is a mistake! I can’t go!” Willow exclaimed, wild eyed and holding on to the door handle of the car for dear life.

“What? Willow! What happened to brave, self-confident Willow who only a few hours ago was telling me how fun this party was going to be? I told Darla I was bringing a friend and she seemed so--well--eager to meet you… I think. Hard to tell with her.” Buffy said, frowning slightly. “Come on, you can‘t not come!”

“It was the fumes from the hair dye, that’s what it was. I wasn’t all there. I lost my mind for a minute. I didn’t know what I was saying.” She said without stopping to take a breath. Then: “Don’t look at me like that, missy. You can’t make me!”

“I wouldn’t make you do anything, Willow. You know that. If you changed your mind and don’t want to go, that’s fine.”

“But… You have that sad, disappointed look on your face. I can’t resist that look, you know that. I’ll feel guilty.”

Buffy gripped the steering wheel and looked straight ahead. They were parked in front of Angel’s house. About six or seven other cars were parked near the house, three of which hadn’t even bothered finding a parking spot, they’d just left their car on the front lawn. Rock music was blaring inside the house, effectively shattering the peacefulness of the night. People could be heard laughing and screaming inside, and it didn’t make neither of the two women want to leave the sanctuary that was Buffy’s car to go in there.

“Willow, do me a favor and forget about me and how I feel. You didn’t come here for me. You came here because you wanted to do something to help Spike.” Buffy said, choosing her words carefully. “If you changed your mind, if you don’t think it’s worth it, it’s your choice. I won’t force you and I won’t judge you. I’ll give you my car key; you can go back to my place and wait for me with Dawn. But I’m going in.”

Willow gave Buffy a half smile. “Cause you looove him.”

“Cause he doesn’t deserve to be in prison.” Buffy corrected stubbornly.

“Whatever you tell yourself to sleep at night.”

The red head sighed heavily, her eyes trained on the brightly lit house on the other side of the street. Determination replaced fear in her eyes. “As if I would let you go in there alone. I’m here for support and support I will provide. That’s what friends are for, right?”

Buffy smiled at Willow, relief obvious on her face. “Thanks, Will. I’m scared shitless too.”

“And you’re right; we’re doing this to save an innocent man from spending the rest of his life in jail. It’s for a good cause, right?”

Buffy nodded her head, trying to look more confident than she was. “Right.”

Of course she wanted to help Spike, but she still couldn’t stop her hands from shaking.

“Besides,” Willow continued, trying to convince herself, “if they never find our bodies, Dawn knows where we are. She can tell the cops.”

Buffy‘s jaw dropped. “Willow! Don’t say that!”

“Sorry.” The red head blushed, but grinned nonetheless, pleased with herself at making her friend squirm.

The blonde took a deep breath and unfastened her seatbelt. “Alright. Let’s go before we both change our minds again.”

They got out of the car and Buffy activated her alarm system, worried that they’d come out of the party to find her car gone. Not exactly the best neighborhood to leave such a pretty little car all by itself.

“Microphone? Check.” Willow said, placing a hand on her chest where the device Wesley had given them earlier was hidden beneath her white thank top. She then took her little purse and hugged it to herself. “Pepper spray? Check. I’m good to go.”

Buffy smiled and linked her arm with Willow. “Let’s go. And don’t worry; I’ll protect you with my life. I know tae kwon do.”

“Is this supposed to sound comforting?”

“Yep. I might be short, but I’m vicious. I’m like a mini pit bull. I bite and I don’t let go.”

This got a chuckle out of the very nervous Willow. They got to the front door, which was ajar. The two women looked at each other, then Buffy shrugged.

“Guess that means ‘come in’ then.”

She pushed the door open and as soon as they stepped inside, their senses were assaulted by a combination of smells and sounds they would have rather lived without. The cloud of marijuana smoke was so dense that just breathing made them feel dizzy.

Buffy got worried about the baby’s health when she saw just how bad this little get together really was. The logical part of her brain was telling her that some people drink and smoke during their entire pregnancy without repercussions on the baby and that one night of being exposed to all this wasn’t gonna hurt the little one. But mama bear was worried. To stop herself from turning on her heel and leaving this place right away, she had to tell herself that if the baby had a say in this, it probably would want her to help its dad. So she stayed.

It wasn’t a big house, but it looked more spacious from the inside than it did from the outside. The front door opened on the living room. On the other side of the living room was a hallway with doors on either side of it--probably bedrooms and bathroom--and led to the kitchen at the back of the house. Everything looked like it had been decorated thirty years ago. Wall paper with orange and green patterns, brown shaggy carpet that had obviously seen better days, and faded paintings on the walls. The brownish green velvet of the couch and armchairs, where people were currently slouching, was torn and yellow stuffing was sticking out of the holes.

A low rumbling made Buffy turn her head sharply to the right. A Rottweiller was lying on a dirty ‘weclome‘ mat, his huge head resting on his paws. His constant growling was a clear indication the dog was not happy about the party.

"Shark! Shut the hell up!" A tiny voice yelled.

A child who couldn't be more than four years old kicked the dog with his little foot. The growl only intensified. The boy was skinny and wore old pajamas that had holes on the knees. His mousy brown hair was falling in front of his eyes in greasy strands. He turned his head to look at the two new comers with sharp brown eyes; eyes that Buffy could only describe as utterly evil.

"Who're you? You pissing Shark off. You know if I tell him, he can bite your arm right off? That'd be fun."

Buffy glanced briefly at her friend only to see that Willow had turned several shades paler.

"Angel! Your brat is bothering the two hot chicks that just walked in!" Some guy yelled while leering at Buffy and Willow.

Buffy took her bewildered eyes off the child just in time to see Angel himself walking towards them nonchalantly, a beer bottle dangling from his hand. He smirked at the two women and lowered his tall frame to pick his son up.

"Shut the hell up, Travis. You call my son a brat one more time and you and I are gonna have a go," he told the guy, his voice threatening.

"Teach him some manners dude, and I'll stop calling him a brat." Travis snickered.

Angel whispered something in his son's ear and put it down. The kid ran across the room to where Travis was talking to a young woman, and latched onto the man's leg.

"Argh! He bit me! Son of a BITCH!"

Angel laughed out loud, obviously proud of his offspring. He finally gave Buffy his attention. "So, you've met Connor. Isn't he adorable or what?"

Buffy forced a smile on her face. "The cutest." She turned to Willow, ready to introduce her, but Angel had already noticed the petite red head.

"And who do we have here?" He asked, looking her up and down and giving her a suggestive smile.

"This is my childhood friend, Lilian. She's visiting from out of town." Buffy lied, not wanting Angel or Darla to know too much about Willow. They had already decided to use Willow's middle name; it was easier to remember. "Lili. Cute name." Angel commented, but it was obvious that he couldn't have cared less about her name.

"Anne!" Darla's shrill voice could be heard over the loud music. Everybody looked in Darla's direction for a moment before going back to what they were doing.

Darla walked up to Buffy and gave her a quick hug. The display of affection was so fake it was painful to see. Buffy had a hard time stopping herself from rolling her eyes. She gave Willow a look over Darla's shoulder before the other blonde let go of her. "I'm so glad you came! This is gonna be such fun. You have to meet my cousin Riley. And my son, Connor."

"I already met Connor." Buffy hurriedly interrupted, already terrified of the little brat. That evil little thing might have rabies or something, and he bit.

"Oh, and is this your friend you were talking about?" Darla asked, switching quickly from one thing to another. Buffy suspected she might be high on something. "Isn't she sweet. Oh, Riley loves red heads. He'll just die when he sees you, honey."

"He loves red heads if they have dicks, sweetheart." Angel commented, chuckling at his own joke.

Darla turned around and punched his arm. Hard. "Shut the fuck up. I'm talking."

She smiled at Willow as if nothing had happened. "What's your name again? Anne told me on the phone, but I'm no good with names."

Willow opened her mouth, but it took a moment before she finally manage to get the words out. "I... My name's Lilian."

Darla smiled uninterestedly. "Cute. You girls ready to party?"

Buffy smirked, slowly getting back into character. "Always."

Angel had already lost interest and left to talk to other people, but not without a parting wink to Buffy, and lecherous grin to Willow.

Darla put herself between Buffy and Willow, hooking her arms with theirs and leading them to the kitchen. "God, my husband is such a dirty pig. He's lucky I love him because sometimes, I could just kill him." She chuckled happily, as if she'd told the joke of the century.

Buffy tried to hide the shiver that ran through her at the callous comment. Willow gave her a worried look from the corner of her eye. Darla didn't notice the two women’s discomfort. She led them to the kitchen table, telling the three girls already sitting there to get the hell out. Then she went to the counter where an assortment of liqueur bottles was on display. She picked up the bottle of Tequila and poured it into a couple of shot glasses, then put them down in front of Buffy and Willow. She put a lemon on the table and, with what looked like a professional butcher knife, she slashed the fruit into quarters.

Willow laughed uneasily at the violent display coming from a potential murder accomplice. "Geez, what did the poor lemon ever do to you?"

"What can I say," Darla said with a sly grin. "A girl's gotta pass her aggression somewhere. Better the lemon than you, no?"

"Uh... Yeah. Definitely."

Buffy was shifting uncomfortably on her chair, realizing she wouldn't be able to get out of this one. Her idea had been to drink beer. That way she could go to the bathroom, empty it in the toilet and fill the bottle up with water. But she had no excuse to get out of this shot of Tequila.

"I'm not really a fan of Tequila..." She attempted lamely.

"Come on, Anne. Who doesn't love Tequila? And it's just a shot. It will be swallowed before you know it."

She gave Buffy the salt shaker and waited for her to do the shot. Buffy licked her hand, sprinkled some salt on her wet skin, then took a deep breath and did it. She swallowed the bitter alcohol and bit into the lemon wedge.

"See? That wasn't so bad, was it?"

Darla and Willow did the same, then, Darla reached for the bottle again.

Buffy stopped her. "I'm still hung over from last night, I think I'll stick to beer if you don't mind. You know what it's like... Besides, Lilian and I had a few before coming here. I wouldn't want to pass out on your couch after being here for like half an hour."

The other blonde woman laughed. "Alright. But we'll do more shots later, OK?"

"Sure."

Darla motioned to the fridge. "Help yourself. The beer's in the fridge." Then she poured Willow another shot. "You're up for it, right?"

Willow nodded. "Damn straight I am." She said, the Tequila already loosening her up.

They did another shot while Buffy went to grab a Budweiser out of the fridge. She took a couple of sips for show, leaning her back casually against the counter. A tall man walked into the kitchen. His sandy blonde hair was in disarray; he was wearing a jeans shirt over a white t-shirt and blue jeans that were a little bit too short for him. He grinned goofily at Buffy, his eyes lightening up with interest. "Hi!"

She smiled politely. "Hey."

"Anne, Lili, this is Riley."

Darla stood up and put her arm around her cousin's shoulders. "He looks innocent, but don't let it fool you--he's a little pervert. Aren't you, Riley?"

Riley blushed and Buffy couldn't help thinking that he looked like an idiot. "Stop it, Dar. I am not. I'm a good guy."

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that."

He sat awkwardly next to Willow and Buffy was relieved that he seemed more interested in engaging in conversation with her friend than with her. She felt selfish for thinking that way because it meant Willow was the one stuck with the cousin, but she really wasn't in the mood. She pushed away from the counter she'd been leaning against.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom, then we need to do something about this music, Dar. Crank it up or something, get this party started."

"I'm right there with you, hon. Angel's been taking care of the music. He doesn't exactly have the best taste. The man is hopeless."

"Like most men." Buffy added, laughing.

She went to the bathroom, hurriedly closing the door and locking it when she saw little Connor coming her way. She leaned against the door and closed her eyes for a moment. They hadn't been there for more than half an hour and already the night seemed endless.

She quickly emptied the beer bottle and filled it up with water. At least, that was one less thing to worry about. Although, to be fair, alcohol was the least of her worries as far as threats were concerned. There were still psycho murderers, a brat with sharp teeth and a dog that could bite her arm off. Not to mention most of the trailer park trashe living on the street had shown up to this stupid party. The place was packed. And none of these people were people Buffy would voluntarily hang out with. She had to remind herself this was for Spike's sake. She could endure a few hours of torture for him, couldn't she?

She washed her hands, looked at the hand towel, then changed her mind and wiped her hands on her jeans. She wouldn’t touch that thing if her life depended on it. It looked like Angel might have jacked off and wiped his hands on it. She shivered in disgust.

Buffy walked out of the bathroom and went back to the kitchen to check on Willow. She was in the middle of a conversation with Riley. Buffy gave her a questioning look, trying to find out if she was OK in there by herself. Willow nodded discretely and Buffy went to the living room where the party was raging. People were talking loudly, laughing, some of them were sitting at a fold out table in a corner playing poker or some other card game. Darla was sitting on the floor with Angel. She was bending over the coffee table. She looked up from what she was doing and smiled at Buffy.

"Want some?"

Buffy looked at the coffee table. In front of Darla were a few lines of white powder. Coke. Buffy swallowed hard. Thinking fast, she smirked.

"No thanks. What do you think I was doing in the bathroom for so long? Already had enough. Gotta pace myself ya know."

Darla and Angel laughed.

"No need to hide to do that kind of shit in here, sweetheart.” Angel said with a wink. “We're very open minded people... As you can see."

Buffy grinned. "I wasn't sure if you guys were down with this. But obviously, you are. Now I know."

Buffy walked up to the stereo system and looked at the CDs. She picked one, Nine Inch Nails, and put it on, cranking up the volume.


Bow down before the one you serve
You're going to get what you deserve...


She went to take Darla's hand and helped her to her feet, then led her to the side of the living room. The two women started dancing; a repeat performance of their night at The Fish Tank.

Soon, other people joined them, staying at a respectful distance from the two hot blondes. All eyes were on them, men drooling and women looking envious.

After an hour of dancing, joking around with Darla and drinking her beer/water, Buffy decided to go check on Willow.

She walked into the kitchen, only to find that the only person in there was Angel. The guy was already drunk and could barely stand. Buffy frowned.

"Angel? Where's Wi... Lilian? Did you see her?"

"Who now?" He asked stupidly.

"My friend, Angel. Where is she. She was in here with Riley earlier. You know... The short red head? Did you see her?"

"Oh, her. Yeah, I saw her."

Buffy sighed and rolled her eyes. "Angel, focus. Where is Lili?"

"She went out the back door with Darla's dumb cousin a little while ago. She looked pretty fucked if you ask me. I mean, you HAVE to be to leave with Riley."

Buffy paled. "Why? Is he OK? Is she safe with him?"

"Geez Anne, you have to stop worrying so much. Riley's a creep, but your friend can take care of herself. A swift kick in the balls if he gets too frisky and he‘ll back off."

"No, Angel. No. She really can't. She's not like us." She motioned between Angel and herself to illustrate what she meant. "Lilian's a good girl. She's not that tough. Is she safe with Riley, yes or no?"

Angel seemed to sober up. He frowned, his bushy eyebrows drawing together. "Uh... probably not."

"Fuck."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blissful oblivion by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Thank's for all the reviews. I don't tell you enough how much I love them. It's a great motivation to write knowing there's people out there waiting to know what's going to happen next. Thanks for being faithful to this story even though it's so long. It means a lot to me. The updates will be more regular from now on, promise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHAPTER 45: Blissful oblivion

Trying her best to suppress her rage and failing miserably, Buffy snatched the car keys out of Angel's hand. They were standing on the lawn in front of his house, Darla and three or four other people watching them curiously from the front porch.

"Would you give me that already?! For Christ sake, you can barely stand, do you really think I'm gonna let you drive?"

"It's my goddamn car, isn't it? I should be the one driving... Where are we going again?"

Buffy glared at the drunk man towering over her, absolutely not intimidated by him. "Stop whining and get in. We're going to find my friend, I told you ten times already and I'm losing patience. So get in the car."

Sitting on the stairs, Darla was clearly enjoying the show. She snickered loudly. "See? That's my girl. She knows how to handle a man. And the funny thing is, I'm sure it's turning him on. Angel has a thing for bossy women. Don't you, my Angel?"

Angel glared at her. "I married you, didn't I?"

Darla burst out laughing. She looked up at Travis who was leaning against the railing. "He's got a point. I am a bossy bitch."

The people on the porch laughed, but it was all lost on Buffy. She was busy trying to get the useless lump that was Angel into his car so they could find Willow before it was too late and Riley did something to her.

According to Angel, Riley had a thing for rape drugs. It was his new hobby to spike women's drinks and take them somewhere where he could fuck the unsuspecting women without them complaining too much about it. If something happened to Willow, Oz would kill Riley, then kill her. If she didn't kill Darla's cousin herself first. Then Spike and she could write each other letters from their respective jail. The irony.

Buffy shook the thought away then started pushing Angel towards his monster of a car. They'd have to use his car because once they found Willow, the three of them wouldn't fit in her two seat car. In fact, Angel himself wouldn't fit in the car if he was alone in it. She opened the passenger door and gave him a “don't fuck with me” look. Starting to realize she meant business, he awkwardly climbed in the car.

She made her way around the front of the car and opened the driver’s side. She wrinkled her nose in disgust at the pungent smell that came out of the piece of junk. This car should have been trashed decades ago. Even the Pimp My Ride team wouldn't be able to do anything to save it. Buffy cleared the driver's seat of all the garbage littering it, unceremoniously throwing McDonald's bags, candy wrappers and kid toys on the lawn before sitting behind the wheel and slamming the door shut. She completely lowered the window, afraid the smell alone could make her pass out.

"Damn. You're in a bad mood." Angel declared as if it was breaking news.

"Well, duh! My childhood friend counted on me to watch her back, and now she might get raped by some big ass smelly monkey who probably still needs his mama to pick out clothes for him. So no, I'm not in a good mood, Angel." She shoved the key in the ignition and after a few attempts, managed to start the engine. "Now, are you gonna help me find them or are you just going to sit there making stupid comments?"

"I'll help." He mumbled gruffly, looking down like a kid who knows he‘s in trouble. "You know..."

"Which way?" She interrupted him in her no nonsense voice.

Angel pointed to the left. "This way, then turn right on Main. Knowing the idiot, he took her where he takes all his 'dates'. The boy's got no imagination."

"Lucky for me." She whispered derisively.

He shook his head. "Would you believe this boy is a College student? Who ever said you need to be smart to go to College, I wonder. The kid is dumb as a post."

Buffy gripped the steering wheel tighter and tried her best to focus on the road. The shot of Tequila and the few sips of beer she'd drank weren't enough to make her drunk, but fear made it hard to keep her mind on what she was doing. It didn't take long for Angel to realize how bad a driver she really was, but he merely put a hand on the dashboard, scared to say anything.

"You know," Angel started, trying to make conversation while pointing out the direction to follow, "I always thought Riley was gay. I think he's just trying to prove something to himself, that's why he does shit like that. He wants to convince himself that he's not into boys."

"I don't really care what his excuse is. He could be into goats for all I care," she replied through clenched teeth.

Angel started laughing, then stopped abruptly. He groaned. "Oh God. Not the kind of mental picture I wanted."

In spite of herself, Buffy managed a tight smile. "Yeah, you might be right on this one."

They reached an intersection and she stopped at the red light. "Where to?"

"Keep going straight. See the little shopping center over there with the bank, Chinese restaurant and drug store?"

"Yeah?"

"If I know him as well as I think I do, he probably parked his car in the alley right behind it. Mommy and daddy bought Riley boy a brand new black Explorer for getting passing grades in all his classes last semester. It's nice and roomy and he's putting it to good use. You can do all kind of nasty stuff in there without feeling too claustrophobic," he explained, a knowing smirk on his face.

Buffy groaned. "I don't want details, Angel. Thanks."

She slowed down and maneuvered the huge boat of a car into the deserted parking lot. She drove the car around the building and into the alley. Just like Angel had predicted, there was a car parked there. It was too dark to tell what kind of car, but it was definitely a SUV. Next to her, Angel shouted victoriously, a smug look on his face.

"What did I say, uh? Predictable as hell. What a loser."

Buffy stepped on the gas, making the car jump forward. Angel almost hit his head on the dashboard.

"Whoa, sweetheart, careful there. I love this car, don't destroy it... And I love me too."

*Understatement of the century* Buffy thought sourly before slamming on the brakes when she was close enough to the parked car. There was a loud screech of tires and she jumped out and ran to the SUV. She vaguely heard Angel yell at her to stop and let him handle it, but she couldn't care less. Buffy wrenched the back door of the SUV open. She saw red.

She didn't say a word. She grabbed a leg and pulled with strength fueled by rage. Riley tumbled out of the car with a yelp of surprise. He looked around, disoriented, before focusing his eyes on the petite blonde in front of him. He stood up quickly, then opened his mouth to speak, but never had a chance to get the words out. Almost in slow motion, a small fist connected painfully with his jaw. The surprising force of the impact made him trip over his own feet and fall on his ass. He remained sprawled ungracefully on the ground, a stunned look on his face. Buffy took two quick steps towards him. Now standing between his wide spread legs, she put one foot on his groin and slowly applied pressure. Riley shouted in pain.

Buffy noticed that although his belt and zipper were undone, he was still covered. She could have cried with relief.

"Get anywhere NEAR her again, and I'll kill you. Get me?"

Riley was wheezing and trying weakly to push her foot away from his genitals.

"Did you say something?” Buffy asked sarcastically. “I didn't get that?"

"Get off me you psycho bitch!" Riley yelled, panic obvious in his voice.

"Oh I will. But only when I'm sure you get what I'm saying. You don't go near her, don't talk to her, don't look at her... As a matter of fact, this also applies to every girl and woman in Sunnydale. If I hear that you tried that little stunt on anybody ever again, you're in for the beating of a lifetime. Maybe I'm not very threatening, but I do know people, Riley. So watch your back and think twice before trying to hurt another woman."

She took her foot off his manly parts and he rolled on his side, holding his crotch protectively.

"You make me sick. Get out of my sight."

While Riley attempted to get to his feet, Buffy went back to the SUV where Willow was still lying unconscious. Her top was torn down the middle and her skirt was up around her hips, but she still had her underwear on. Buffy lowered her friend's skirt and turned around briefly to ask Angel to help her. That's when she noticed he had been standing there the entire time, staring in shock with his mouth opened.

Buffy frowned. "Angel?"

"... wow." He mumbled, his eyes still wide with shock. "I mean... holy fuck."

She rolled her eyes. "Can you please help me get her to the car?"

"Oh." He finally snapped out of his trance. "Yeah, sure."

He hurried to her side and told her to move out of the way. He picked Willow up effortlessly and carried her to his car. Walking by Riley who was holding himself up using the hood of his car, Angel let out a snort, incapable of hiding his hilarity.

Angel put Willow down on the back seat, and in a rare show of sensitivity, he used his jacket to cover her. Then both he and Buffy got in the car. She turned the key in the ignition, hoping he wouldn't notice how badly her hand was shaking. Now that the adrenaline had left her system, her nerves were letting her down.

"Thanks, Angel." She managed to say. A part of her didn't want to say thank you. After all, what was such a small act of kindness compared to taking someone's life and putting an innocent man in prison? But if he hadn't shown her where to find Willow, her friend would have gotten hurt. All this because of her. She should have never brought Willow into this. But she didn't want her thoughts to go in this direction. Not now. Not with Angel MacAllister sitting right next to her. No matter what happened tonight, she still wanted him to think she was tough. If she started crying now, she'd ruin the image she’d so carefully built for his benefit.

In a way, tonight's event had helped build that image. She hadn't acted with the intention of impressing him; her only motivation had been to protect her friend. But the result was just the same. The entire ride back to his place, Angel hadn't stopped gushing about how fucking impressive she was, and how she'd kicked Riley's ass, and the look on his face, and... Her exploit had turned the normally taciturn man into a real motor mouth.

After she parked the car on the front lawn and he got out, Angel was all smiles. He told Darla and the few guests left how 90 lb Anne had broken Riley's face and almost knocked him unconscious.

At first, Darla frowned and Buffy worried that the blonde wouldn't forgive the act of violence against her fucked up cousin. But then, Darla giggled and put her arm around Buffy.

"Honey, I'm usually very over protective of my baby cousin, but this is too hilarious for words. And if he can't stand on his own with a tiny woman like you, then he deserves the ass kicking. Too bad I missed it though."

Buffy chuckled. "I have a feeling you'll hear so much about it that it will be as if you were there too." She pointed at Angel. "This one hasn't stopped yapping about that punch the entire way home."

"What? I was impressed, can you blame me?" Angel commented from where he was talking two other guys.

She smiled and wink playfully at him before turning back to Darla. "I'm sorry but I have to go. I'm gonna take Lili back to my place. I have a feeling she'll wake up with the mother of all hangovers tomorrow morning."

Darla nodded. "Of course. I'll call you sometime this week. We'll make plans."

Buffy agreed, then quickly walked to her car where Willow was already fast asleep in the passenger seat. She just couldn't wait to get away from this place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willow opened her eyes groggily, blinking against the harsh morning light. She nearly screamed in surprise at seeing her friend's face right above her. "Oh God! You scared the hell out of me. What are you trying to do?.. Give me a heart attack?"

Willow winced in pain and reached up to hold her throbbing head.

"I'm sorry Willow..." Buffy started to say.

"Is my brain leaking out of my ears? Cause it feels like it is." Then Willow noticed the tears streaming down Buffy's face and sat up. Too quickly. She grabbed Buffy's arm in an attempt at making the room stop spinning. "What's going on? I make a joke and you start crying. This isn't usually a good sign. Did I do something?"

After handing Willow the cup of chamomile tea she'd made for her before coming to wake her up, Buffy told her friend what happened the night before. Willow sat back against the pillows and sipped her tea while listening to Buffy. When her friend reached the point of the story where they got back home, Willow calmly took another sip, then spoke up, an unreadable expression on her face.

"Well--that would explain why I don't remember anything after talking to that Riley guy." She shook her head lightly. "And to think that I was trying to be nice to the boring loser. That will teach me."

Buffy gave her an incredulous look, her face red from all the crying she'd done while telling Willow what happened the night before. "That's IT? That's all you have to say? You almost got raped by that creep, Will. A few minutes later and..."

"And nothing. You found me in time to stop him. Thanks by the way. Too bad I was unconscious and missed that part where you kicked his sorry ass." She tried to smile, but Buffy was still staring at her. "Don't get me wrong, I am freaked out. But it didn't happen. What am I gonna do? Mope around and try to imagine 'what if'? No point in that. I'm still me, he didn't do anything to me, you got there in time to stop it."

"But..."

Willow raised her hand to indicate that she wasn't done talking. "AND, it's no one's fault--except Riley’s, of course. You couldn't have known this would happen. I should have been more careful with my drink. It's something that could have happened to me in a bar somewhere too, it's not because I went with you to this party. So get it out of your head right now that you're responsible for my safety, Buffy Anne Summers. I know you. You'll try blaming yourself for this because you asked me to go with you."

Buffy looked down, ashamed that she was so predictable.

"I'm 27 years old, Buffy. I'm a grown woman and I can take care of myself. Well... Obviously, I can't--as I so clearly proved last night--but if I screw up and get myself in trouble, it's nobody's fault but mine. All right?"

Buffy nodded through her renewed tears, obviously not convinced, but she didn't resist when her friend pulled her into a hug. She hid her face against Willow's shoulder and let out a sob. Willow rubbed her back soothingly until Buffy stopped crying. Then she pulled away and gave her one of her warm Willow smiles.

"If it makes it better... I don't remember a thing. Makes it all easier to forget about it, don't you think? And right now... I'm more bothered by the hangover than I am by what you told me happened last night."

On cue, Dawn walked in with a bottle of Tylenol and a glass of water. The girl tried her best to look innocent, but failed.

Buffy welcomed the distraction. "Were you eavesdropping?"

Dawn's blue eyes got impossibly large. "Who... me?"

Willow couldn't help laughing. Then...

"Owww! My heeeead! I think there's something wrong with it. Should it really be hurting that much? You think there‘s something wrong?"

Buffy gave her a sympathetic look. "Yes, there is. It's called a hangover honey."

"But luckily..." Dawn jumped on the bed and started bouncing happily, ignoring Willow's groans of pain. "You got nurse Dawn and nurse Buffy to take care of you."

Willow closed her eyes. "Great."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When it rains, it pours by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CHAPTER 46: When it rains, it pours

Buffy sat at her desk, drinking decaffeinated coffee and going through some files. She'd just arrived a moment ago and had a hard time getting her mind into her work. She had arrived late this morning, which wasn't something she usually did. But she felt incredibly groggy and didn't seem to be able to shake off the tiredness weighing her down. She sighed and tried to focus her attention on the file in front of her and think of what she had to do during the day. But the unusual rain pounding her window kept diverting her gaze from the work at hand. The gray skies and torrential rain did nothing to improve her already gloomy mood.

There was a knock on the door. Buffy looked up, assuming it must be Harmony. But when the door didn't open, she called for the person to come in. The door opened and Faith looked inside.

"Hey B, sorry for knocking like this, but your very competent secretary is nowhere in sight."

Buffy frowned, noticing how lifeless Faith's voice was. "Everything all right, Faith?"

The guard opened the door wider. "Can I come in for a sec?"

"Sure..." Buffy stood up in a hurry as soon as she noticed the state of Faith's uniform. The front was dark with fresh blood. "Faith! Oh my God, are you all right? What happened?"

Buffy quickly walked up to her friend to examine her more closely. Faith shut the door behind her.

"No, don't worry. I'm fine. It's not my blood." But despite what she was saying, the tall brunette's hands were shaking badly.

The warden grabbed Faith's arm and led her to a chair, not caring if the blood stained the expensive leather of her office furniture. She poured her a glass of water, then turned the other chair and sat in front of her.

Faith took the offered glass with a thankful nod and drank half of it in three large gulps. Color was slowly returning to her too pale face as Buffy patiently waited for her to regain her composure.

Finally, Faith shook her head and snorted, her usual detached attitude slowly returning. "Seriously Buff, you have got to fire that asshole Jake. The guy's seriously deranged."

Eyebrows drawn together in question, Buffy gave her a blank look. "Huh? What the hell happened? What did Jake do? Can you please start from the beginning because I have no idea what you're talking about."

"We had a situation about an hour ago. I tried calling you on the radio but you weren't there."

"Sorry, I was late."

"'s' all right. Everything is back to normal now, but let me tell you... it wasn't pretty."

"So, if it's not yours, than whose blood is this? A prisoner?"

Faith took the time to finish her glass of water and put it down on Buffy's desk before answering. "Yeah. Parker was acting up again. He stabbed Rayne..."

Funny how such simple words, uttered so casually, could destroy your entire world. And this was the perfect example. In a matter of seconds, Buffy felt everything crashing down arround her. Time stopped and whatever Faith said after was completely lost on her, the sound not reaching her ears.

It only took a moment for Faith to realize that something was going on. Her boss was suddenly staring at her with blind, glassy eyes, her face pale as a ghost. But what really gave it all away were the tears streaming down her face.

"Buffy?" She looked at the petite blonde questioningly, but got no answer. Then, she understood. "Oh my fucking God! I should have known. You and pretty boy Rayne?"

Realizing she had the way to end Buffy's misery, Faith's eyes widened. "Shit! I'm such a moron... He's fine! Stop freakin' out B. He's at the infirmary being his good old self, talking and cracking jokes. Nothing to worry about, I swear."

This didn't have the expected effect. Buffy started bawling.

Faith knelt before her and pulled her into her arms. "Hey now, you know I'm not good with that kind of stuff. Makes me feel all awkward and shit." She said gruffly while uncomfortably patting her friend's back. "Come on now, I swear he's fine. I just spent the past hour by his side. He won't even need to go to the hospital. Thankfully, Parker can't aim for shit. It was bleeding a lot, but it was only superficial. The doc gave him something against the pain so now he's all stoned and happy."

Faith pushed away from Buffy and looked at her. "Chill, OK? Take a deep breath, fix your make-up--cause you look like Harmony when she got drunk at the Christmas party last year... scary. We'll go see him. I'll distract Anya so you can have a couple minutes alone with your hot prison boy. Deal?"

Buffy nodded pitifully.

Faith stood up. It was her turn to pour a glass of water. She handed it to Buffy. "Here ya go, boss."

"Thanks." Buffy watched as the guard went to get her purse for her. She took it and started looking for her compact. "Faith?"

"Yeah?"

"I... huh.."

Faith raised an eyebrow, waiting for Buffy to finally ask her question. "What?"

"I don't know. I was expecting you to be upset if you ever found out about me and Spike, but you seem OK with it."

"Why would I be upset? You're not stealing, you're not hurting anyone, you're not abusing anyone... If you're in love with Rayne, it's your business. Besides, who could blame you? The guy is beyond hot." She sighed. "Look, B, I know why you think I'd be upset. It's because of what happened with Wilkins, right?"

"Yes. I thought... You said you trusted me. I felt like I was betraying your trust. I lied to you, you know?"

"Yeah, that you did. But I can see why, so no hard feelings." Seeing that Buffy was done making herself look presentable again, Faith stood up. "Enough with the sentimental shit. You're banging Rayne--you are, right?"

Buffy nodded, her cheeks turning red.

"So like I was saying, you're banging Rayne, you're a lucky bitch, I'm happy for you, and I don't care if you lied to me about this. Can we go now? I'm sure Mr. Hot British Guy would love to have a visitor."

Buffy gave her a weak smile and followed her out of the office.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as they walked into the infirmary, Anya pounced on them; she'd obviously been waiting for them. The nurse looked excited beyond belief, but as usual tried acting as if she weren't affected by the morning's events.

"Finally. I was starting to think this prison didn't have a warden."

Faith gave her a murderous look and Anya visibly shrank back.

"I didn't mean that in a rude way... I mean... With all due respect and all..." She looked down, giving up.

"It's fine Anya." Buffy said, trying not to sound too exasperated. "You're right, I should have been here. Where is he?"

"He's in a private room. I gave him one of the painkillers the doctor prescribed and he's sleeping now. Dr. Stevens is still here if you want to see him. He's filling out some paper work in the office."

Faith answered for the warden. "Ms. Summers will go ask prisoner Rayne a few questions first..."

"But, he's sleeping right now." Anya argued, frowning in disapproval.

"So? He's a prisoner, not the prince of England. He's lucky he's got a private room and a private doctor. Now the warden wants to ask him questions. She has a job to do. So you and I will go have a chat with the good doctor and let her do her job. Got it?"

The nurse rolled her eyes at Faith. "God, Faith, you're so rude."

The guard smirked. "Something we have in common. Lets go."

Buffy watched as Faith and Anya disappeared into the office, Faith closing the door behind them. Taking a deep breath, she walked up to the closed door of the private room where William was resting. She opened the door and quietly walked in, afraid of what she'd see.

Spike was lying on his back, his torso bare except for the starched white dressing wrapped around his middle. Fresh blood had seeped through, creating a small dark circle on his right side. His eyes were closed, his dark lashes contrasting against his paler than normal skin. Buffy froze for a moment, then rushed to his side. As soon as she grabbed his hand, he opened his eyes. Seeing her there, he smiled weakly.

"Hey luv." He greeted, his voice raspy, the dose of painkiller he'd just received making his words slurred. His eyelashes fluttered, then his eyelids shut again. "Sorry, kitten. I don't know what nurse Anya gave me, but I'm sure it can't be bloody legal in the States. This stuff was strong."

Buffy grabbed his hand and squeezed it affectionately. She managed a shadow of a smile. "Maybe in Amsterdam it is."

He chuckled, but his amusement was cut short by the pain shooting through his torso. Silence followed. Silence while Buffy fought against the tears threatening to spill out of her eyes, and Spike fought to open his eyes to look at her. To be honest, she preferred that he kept his eyes closed so he wouldn't see the distress on her face. The last thing she wanted was for him to be worried about her.

But she failed at keeping the tears in, and he succeeded at opening his eyes.

"Luv, please don't cry. I'm fine. The wanker did manage to put a hole through me, but he was too much of a poofter to do it right. I just lost a bit of blood, that's all. Some orange juice and doughnuts, a night of rest, and I'll be right as rain. Stop worrying like that."

Seeing that this had no effect on her, he managed to scoot over a bit to make place for her on the bed and pulled on her hand. "C'mon luv, come lie with me for a bit."

He watched her as she carefully lie next to him. He put his arm up around her shoulder and she snuggled up to his side, careful not to touch his midsection.

"Nobody's going to interrupt, pet? I don't fancy another surprise visit. Might not be so lucky this time."

She shook her head no. "F-Faith just found out... about us. She said she'd keep Anya and the doctor busy for a while." Buffy manage to get out between two sobs.

Spike turned his head to place a tender kiss on her forehead. He knew instinctively there was nothing he could say to make it better so he just waited until her tears slowed down before speaking again.

"Are you gonna be all right, luv? I hate to see you like that."

Buffy chuckled bitterly. She reached up to brush the tears from her cheek. "You're worried about me? Are you serious? You get stabbed by some psychotic jackass and you worry about me?"

Spike smiled down at her. "What? Is there some kind of prison rule against that? Stabbed prisoners are not allowed to worry about their beloved warden when she's crying? Sorry luv, I missed the memo."

"S'not funny." She mumbled against the skin of his neck.

"Sorry Buffy. I'm just trying to lighten things up a little. I don't like seeing you so worked up over my well being. I know you're worried all the time and I hate that Parker succeeded at giving you another reason to worry."

There was a long, emotionally charged silence before Buffy finally spoke again.

"I don't know how to deal, Spike."

The desperation in her small, almost childish voice, broke his heart. He tightened his hold on her.

"Every time I think it's too hard and I can't take anymore, something else happens that makes the rest look like nothing. I want this to be over. I want to take you out of here with me. I'm lying here on this bed with you, and it's like a part of my brain doesn't understand why I can't just stand up, take your hand, and walk out of here with you. Take you home. Take care of you, make you all better, and forget this place even exists."

For once in his life, Spike didn't know what to say.

"Faith has a gun." Buffy continued, now more animated. "You could take it, use me as an hostage. We could get out of here and drive all the way to Mexico. Start a new life together. I could braid necklaces and sell them on the beach..."

Spike gave her a disbelieving look. "Somehow, that little plan of yours doesn't sound like it would end well. I can already see the headlines. 'Police chase ends in tragedy near Mexican border. Escaped prisoner and hostage both dead.' Not your brightest idea, luv."

"Fine." Buffy said with a pout. "If you have a better plan, I'd like to hear it Mr. Smarty Pants."

He smiled sadly at her. "No. No plan. I'm sorry baby. I know it's hard and I want so much to make it better, but there's nothing I can do. I can promise you to try to be more careful, but that's all I can do. I'll try not to get into anymore fights unless it's absolutely unavoidable. And I'll stay away from Parker."

Buffy sat up. She wiped her face with the back of her hand and ran her fingers through her disheveled hair. "That won't be a problem. I'm gonna work from home for the rest of the day because I can't stay here, but before I leave, there's one thing I need to do. I'm handcuffing this son of a bitch and shipping his ass to Donovan. See if he likes playing in the big leagues. He's had his fun here, now lets see how he likes being someone else's bitch for a change. I'm not even gonna wait for an answer from the warden at Donovan's. I'll send Parker with a little note attached to his shirt. "Stray dog looking for new home." They'll know what to do with the bastard.

Spike grinned. "That's my girl."

Buffy placed a hand on the other side of him and leaned forward until her lips met his, careful not to jar the bed or touch his injured torso. Spike slid his fingers through her hair to pull her closer and deepened the kiss. Their tongues caressed each other tenderly, lips devouring each other's in a desperate attempt at explaining the depth of their feelings for each other. Neither could bring themselves to end the kiss, not even when Faith cleared her throat to get their attention.

"Yo... Love birds, time to check out. I kept the good doctor and nurse girl busy for as long as I could, but besides a threesome, I really couldn't find anything else to keep them occupied. So we gotta hit the road before they barge in and discover your little secret."

Buffy groaned in protest, but pulled away from Spike's lips nonetheless. She reached up and caressed the side of his face. "Rest. I'll give them instructions to keep you here at least a week, if not more. Faith and Giles will come check on you. I'll stop by as often as I possibly can."

Spike nodded and smiled. "Thanks, pet."

"I love you... so much."

"Love you too kitten. And please... Stop worrying about me."

"Sorry baby, no can do. That's like asking me to stop breathing." She grinned and ruffled his hair.

From somewhere behind them, Faith sighed and rolled her eyes. "Absolutely sickening. You two should be ashamed of yourselves for being that cute. Come on, B, gotta go."

With one last chaste kiss on the lips, Buffy said good bye and left Spike to rest. The doctor and Anya walked in just as she was following Faith out of the room. Buffy stopped to give Anya instructions about Spike, then left the infirmary with Faith.

"Are you going back to you office?" Faith asked.

"Yeah. But just for a few minutes. I want to pick up a couple files, make a few phone calls, then I'm going home."

Faith nodded silently. Buffy noticed she looked tired. She'd almost forgot the guard had been through a lot too. "I might stop at the restaurant for lunch before going home. Wanna come with?"

Faith's face lit up. "Yeah, sure. Action like I've had this morning always makes me hungry. I wouldn't say no to a burger... or something else."

Buffy smile wearily. "Good. Let's go."

The two women were approaching the warden's office when Buffy stopped and put a hand on the wall to support herself.

"You all right, B?"

Buffy took a deep breath and closed her eyes for a moment. She finally looked up at a worried Faith. "Yeah, I'm fine. I guess I'm a little tired. Too many emotions this morning, that's all."

They went into Buffy's office and after she made the arrangements to transfer Parker Abrams, she followed Faith to the security check point.

"Are we taking one car or two?" Buffy asked. "If you want to come with me, I don't mind driving you back after lunch. It's up to you."

"Gotta admit, B, I wouldn't mind getting in that cute little toy car of yours. It's a beauty."

Buffy chuckled. "One car it is."

"I have to talk to the replacement for a sec. I'll meet you at your car."

The blonde woman nodded and left. As she walked across the parking lot, she waved at the parking attendant. Joseph, an old black man approaching his retirement, waved back.

The old man watched the warden making her way to her car. He liked her; she was a good girl. A woman, but in the eyes of the 63 year-old veteran, she was only a girl. But Joseph liked her because she was a good boss. Just, fair, strict but with a good heart and willing to listen to her employees. After dealing with so many wardens that he called 'bad apples' before, this tiny slip of a girl was like a breath of fresh air. She was sure to make his last couple of years working for the prison good ones.

The old man frowned when he saw the warden stop in her tracks. She was a little hunched over and not moving. But then she started walking again and he figured it was nothing. Until she reached her car, dropped her keys and fell on her knees, the hand holding on to the door handle the only thing still keeping her upright. Joseph got out of his booth and started jogging toward the warden as fast as his old age allowed him.

From the other side of the parking lot, Faith started running too. But Buffy didn't see either of them. There was nothing but the blinding pain in her lower belly and a feeling of fatality.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I'm sorry. I have a feeling you guys won't be too happy with me. It's OK though. You guys are allowed to send me hate mail ;) As long as you give me permission to forward it to my beta. She was worried about the reaction this chapter would get and begged me to let her read the hate mail lol On a more serious note, I promise things will get better. Please review!
Tough girls cry too by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews you left me for the last chapter. I was shocked. Never had so many before. I hope you'll enjoy this chapter just as much.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Shameless pimping. If you've read America's sexiest home video and enjoyed it, you can vote for it at the Fool for Love awards Reader's choice poll. You need to have a live journal account in order to vote. Here's the link: http://www.livejournal.com/community/_fool_for_love_/11528.html
It would mean a lot to me if you'd take a second to vote. I wanna win damn it! lol :D And if you've never read it, well... here's your chance ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 47: Tough girls cry too


The sun was shining brightly in the park, making all the colors more vivid. Children were running around, laughing and screaming while chasing each other. A little girl wearing a sky blue dress was sitting on a swing, a happy smile on her face and her long blonde hair trailing behind her as she swung higher and higher, trying to reach the clouds. Suddenly, she jumped off, landing awkwardly on the sand. She started running towards Buffy, but when she was close enough, strong arms intercepted her. She wasn't frightened though because she knew these arms well. Her father's arms.

William tossed her in the air, swiftly catching her in his arms. The little girl giggled happily.

"Where's my princess going like that?"

Putting her tiny arms around William's neck, the child smiled at him. "I was going to tell mommy how I almost reached the sky. Did you see how high I was swinging?"

William kissed the top of the girl's head. "Yes, puppet, I saw you. That was really impressive. Why don't you give your mom a kiss and then go try again. We'll watch you."

She nodded her blonde head eagerly, then wiggled out of his arms. Buffy watched her walk up. For some reason, she felt incredibly sad.

The little girl bent down to hug Buffy who was sitting on the grass under a tree, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. She then looked at her mother with a smile, the look in her eyes much too mature for a five year-old.

"Don't be sad." She said in a soft voice before turning around and running back to the swings.

Spike came to sit down next to her. With one arm, he pulled her against him. He lifted her chin with his fingers and brushed a tear she didn't know had rolled down her face. He smiled down at her before pressing his lips to hers. Lost in the kiss, Buffy didn't notice the darkening of the sky and the wind blowing every which way. After a long moment, she pulled away and looked around with a frown. She was chilled to the bones and couldn't tell why. Then she noticed.

Buffy stood up quickly, her heart hammering against her chest. The children were gone.

Her child was gone.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first thing Buffy noticed when she slowly started waking up was how cold she was. Then, a familiar voice reached her.

"What the fuck do you mean, you guys are busy? We've been waiting here for an hour!"

"Ma'am... " A male voice started saying.

"Don't fucking 'ma'am' me, alright? My friend has been sleeping on a goddamn stretcher for an hour now. So you're going to get that smug face of yours out of my sight and go find that doctor woman. Got it?"

"But Dr. Burkle is busy." The other voice whined.

"Oh for Christ sake, grow some balls!" The voice she could now identify as Faith's exclaimed angrily. "Go tell her there's an emergency or something. Just get her here so I can take my friend back home."

Buffy didn't want to open her eyes. The pain killer they’d administered to her a while ago was still making her sleepy. And as long as her eyes were shut, she could pretend she was somewhere else. But even with her eyes shut, the harsh lights of the hospital and all the foreign sounds were making it very difficult for her to pretend. She was starting to remember and she didn't want to.

Flashbacks of Faith helping her to stand up and walk to the passenger side, the drive to the hospital, knowing it was pointless... Buffy couldn't believe it all only happened a little more than an hour ago. It felt to her like a lifetime ago. No. Truth be told, it felt like it had happened to someone else all together and she'd been watching the scene from a safe distance. Arriving at the hospital, registering, Faith filling insurance papers for her, then a nurse leading her to an examination room with ten stretchers separated by thin curtains. That's where she'd been for the past hour, waiting for Dr. Burkle to show up and tell her what she already knew.

Buffy blinked, trying to adjust her vision to the fluorescent light. Faith's face finally came into focus. The brunette smiled kindly at her, but Faith's obvious sympathy made her want to throw up. She looked away.

"No pity, Faith." Buffy whispered, her voice raw with emotions.

"'s not pity. Pity is one thing you'll never get from me. It's concern for a friend. That's all it is."

Buffy nodded. There was a long silence, both women lost in their thoughts.

The curtain was moved aside as someone walked in. Buffy looked up to see Dr. Burkle looking down at her chart with a sad expression. Faith stood up. She glared at the doctor, but kept her mouth shut. She looked at Buffy. "I'll be right out there if you need me."

Buffy managed a thin smile and watched Faith leave, drawing the curtain carefully behind her.

Standing by Buffy's side, Fred took her hand in hers and squeezed it gently in a show of support. "How are you feeling, Buffy?"

Buffy didn't answer, she just shook her head slightly and said "Isn't it strange how losing something you didn't want in the first place can hurt so bad?"

Fred didn't answer, just sat on the edge of the bed to encourage her to talk.

"Remember when you told me I was pregnant how I reacted? I was an emotional mess. But..." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying not to break down. "I guess I got used to the idea. I started believing things would work out."

"It's normal, Buffy..."

Tears started streaming down the blonde woman's face. "I haven't even told him yet... kept waiting for the right time."

"You should still tell him. If he loves you--and I'm sure he does--he'll understand.

Buffy snorted in derision. "Yeah."

She let the doctor examine her, keeping her eyes shut the entire time. Fred sighed heavily.

"I'm sorry you miscarried, but these things happen sometimes in the first two months."

Buffy finally found the strength to ask the question that kept torturing her. "Was it my fault? Is it something I did?"

Fred gave her a sympathetic look. "Buffy, no. Of course not. It couldn't have been prevented, I promise."

"But..." Fresh tears started falling. "I put myself under a lot of stress lately."

"I'm not going to lie to you. Stress doesn't help. But most of the time, miscarriage are due to the fetus not being viable. It just wasn't meant to be. Don't torture yourself with guilt, I can assure you it's not your fault in any way. You should go home and get some rest. Take a few days off from work. You have to deal with the loss. You have a right to grieve you know."

Buffy nodded. "Thanks. I'll do that."

Dr. Burkle smiled kindly at her. “All right. I’m going to move you to a private examination room and we’ll have to do a curettage. It’s not fun, but it won’t take too long.”

Buffy whimpered and shut her eyes, but didn’t say anything. There was nothing to say anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The ride from the hospital was by far the most uncomfortable moment in Faith's life. And she'd been in a lot of awkward situations. Waking up in a stranger's bed in the morning with no clue who the naked guy next to her was, telling her mom "sorry dad dumped you" when her mom didn't know yet that he'd packed his bags and left, walking in on her roommate naked in her bed, with her boyfriend... Still, nothing compared to this. Possibly because no matter how hard she tried to find it, there was absolutely no humor in this situation.

When you wake up in some dude's bed and can't even remember talking to him the night before; you can laugh about it the next day with your friends. Not this. This was tragedy and she had no fucking clue how to deal, or how to make it better.

Her own way of dealing with pain was to run away. She'd done it all her life until she settled in Sunnydale, found a job, and decided to keep her human contacts to a minimum to avoid pain, therefore not needing to run away anymore. But running away not being an option for Buffy, she didn't know. Should she stay silent and leave Buffy alone with her thoughts? Should she try to find something deep and thoughtful to say to her? Distract her with something that had nothing to do with what just happened? She had no idea.

Faith opened her mouth to speak about a hundred and twenty times, each time, shutting it again and trying to come up with something else. Her knuckles were white from the strength of her grip on the steering wheel. To make matters worse, they were stuck in the five o'clock traffic. Businessman coming back to suburban hell after a long day at work downtown, housewives coming back from their grocery shopping, school buses. Buffy was staring blankly out the window in a daze, which prompted Faith to open her mouth again. Anything to break the heavy silence. She shook her head. It really wasn't like her to be afraid of words.

"Look, I suck at this, OK?" She finally managed to say, the awkward words coming out in a rush. "I keep telling myself: "OK Faith, gotta say something there girl. But I come up with nothing."

"Faith, you don't have to..."

Faith nodded her head quickly. "Yes. Yes I do have to. That's what friends do, right? They help each other feel better. What good am I for if I can't even do that? Am I not supposed to be able to come up with some Hallmark worthy thought of the day crap? You know... "Tomorrow the sun will shine again" or some shit like that?"

Buffy gave her a look, and Faith rolled her eyes. "Fine, that was lame. But you get my meaning here, B. I really do suck at the 'comforting friend' thing." She sighed in frustration. "I just don't know how to make you feel better. I'm sorry."

"You're here. That's all I need."

Buffy's voice was so lifeless that it made Faith cringe. She nodded her understanding and tried to focus her attention back on the traffic while Buffy returned to staring out in silence. After five more minutes like this, and seeing that they were nowhere near Buffy's house, Faith had enough.

"Alright. I might get retarded when it comes to spurting sickeningly sweet words of comfort, but I can still try to distract you, right? If there's one thing I excel at, it's telling stories. 's not good to wallow in your misery like that. So I was thinking about what I could tell you. How about I tell you more about what happened this morning? All I said about it so far is that I'm the one who took care of..." As the words were coming out of her mouth, Faith slowly started seeing the flaw in her plan. She stopped talking and cleared her throat in embarrassment.

"Yeah, good job dumbass.” Faith told herself out loud. “So much for distracting you from your depressing thoughts, uh? Sorry bout that."

Buffy turned to face her, resting her head against the passenger window. "No. I don't mind. I'd like to hear what happened this morning."

Faith frowned, eyes trained on the traffic in front of her. "You sure, B?"

"Yeah."

"All right..." Faith drawled hesitantly. "I wasn't there for most of it, but Geek Boy--you know Andrew, right?" She asked Buffy, briefly interrupting her story to make sure the other woman knew who she was referring to.

Buffy nodded, a weak smile on her lips. "Sure."

"So as I was saying, Geek Boy was there and told me everything on the way to the infirmary. I had to send him away after a while because your boy toy was losing patience and said he was starting to regret saving the--and I quote--bloody annoying pansy's ass. Anyway, I wasn't there but I'll still start from the beginning not to confuse you too much."

"I lost a baby, Faith, not my brain. But go on."

"Well, you sure as hell didn't lose your sharp tongue, sister."

This was good, Faith thought. Buffy still had that vacant look in her eyes and probably wouldn't get over the ordeal for a while, but at least she was talking and listening.

"According to Andrew," Faith started, "He was alone in the showers when Parker and two of his buddies walked in. Of course, they started bothering him, what else can you expect from these idiots. And let's be honest here, little geeky Andrew wouldn’t be able to defend himself against a five year-old girl, so what the hell could he do against Parker? But what we found out later is that it was all a set up intended for Rayne. Guess Parker boy knew Rayne is too good a guy to let some poor defenseless dork get raped in the shower. Evil, but smart. So when your boy toy walked into the shower, he saw Parker and the two other guys holding Andrew against a wall. After that, things got ugly. Andrew said they barely talked at all. Spike told them to let Andrew go, they did and attacked Spike instead. The fight wasn't long and Spike had the upper hand if I can rely on the extremely enthusiastic tale Geek Boy told me."

"Yeah. Spike is Andrew's hero for some reason." Buffy commented dully.

"I noticed. I wouldn't be surprised to find a picture of Rayne under Andrew's mattress. But that's beside the point. At the time all this was happening, Jake and I were doing a routine patrol. Jake went inside the bathroom for a quick check. I couldn't go in with him because apparently, it makes little boys self-conscious to have a girl in there with them when they're showering." She lifted an eyebrow and glanced briefly at Buffy. "I think some of them just don't want me to know they have small dicks."

"Faith? Story."

"Oh. Yeah, sorry. Jake was in the bathroom and I could hear commotion coming from inside so I pushed the door open and called out for him, thinking he might be in trouble. When he didn't answer, I told myself "fuck the prisoners' modesty" and walked right in. Jake was standing in the entrance to the showers with his arms crossed, looking at what was going on and not doing anything. I quickly walked up to him to see what he was looking at. I was just in time to see Parker stabbing Spike once with a homemade weapon. I yelled at Jake to do something but he told me to relax and watch. So I pushed him out of the way and stopped Parker just as he was going to hit again. I knocked him out with my taser. The two other cowards ran. Jake didn't even try to stop them, or help me help Spike. He fucking walked out on me. I had to try to stop Spike's bleeding and call for help on my radio at the same time."

Faith shook her head in disbelief, her eyes suspiciously wet as she remembered what happened in the morning. "The fucking asshole left me there alone."

“I’ll fire his ass.” Buffy said in a cold voice. “I don’t care how hard the Union tries to fight me on this one, this bastard won’t be working in my prison any longer, I promise.”

Faith tried to laugh it off, but Buffy could tell she was upset. The blonde woman reached over and took Faith’s hand in hers, giving her a small smile.

"So, anyway, you know the rest of the story. One hot prison boy saved by yours truly." She slowed down when they reached Buffy's house. "Too bad I couldn't do the same for you." She said under her breath.

"What did you say?" Buffy asked, eyebrows drawn together in confusion.

"Nothing." Faith said, glancing quickly in Buffy's direction.

Buffy decided not to push. She knew what Faith had said, just didn't know how to respond.

Faith expertly maneuvered the wheel to park the car in Buffy's drive way. Instead of getting out of the car right away, the two women remained seated in silence. Faith was staring straight ahead. She finally spoke.

"It's just... Maybe I could have drove faster. Taken a short cut. I don't know... I'm sure there was something I could have done to stop this from happening."

This time, the tough woman let a single tear escape her usually fierce control over her emotions. She furiously wiped it with her fingers, annoyed at her own weakness.

Buffy looked down at her hands that were clasped together in her lap. Her hair fell in front of her face, hiding her expression from her friend.

When she spoke, it was barely above a whisper, but Faith heard her loud and clear. Painful words have a way of reaching you even when you don't want to hear them. "I lost it in the parking lot, Faith. There was nothing you could have done; it was already too late."

In a matter of seconds, Faith made the decision that only for today, it was OK to let herself be vulnerable. Today, she could let her guard down... only for a little while. She reached out and pulled Buffy into her arms. The two women cried for the longest time in the parked car; a flow of emotions they'd both been holding back for too long. And it felt good. That feeling wouldn't last, but for now, it was better than nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bad day to be a friend by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I was away for a while, which explains the lack of update. I'm really sorry about that. But I'm back now, rested, and ready to finish this one even if I have to work night and day to do it lol. So expect more updates in the near future. And guys, don't let me down with the reviews. I still wanna hear what you think. Every comment you make matters to me, good or bad. So take a second and leave me a review.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 48: Bad day to be a friend

It was one of those late mornings when the sun just couldn’t manage to pierce its way through the clouds and chase away the rain no matter how hard it tried. It probably wouldn’t last; at this time of the year, morning rain wasn’t all that unusual and often gave way to warm sunshine later on during the day. Not that it would matter one way or another to the blonde woman lying in bed. Buffy stared blankly at the ceiling, her mind empty and her heart heavy. Next to her, Faith was fast asleep, wearing the same clothes as the night before, only they were a bit more rumpled, her shirt wrinkled by her restless tossing and turning. Faith stirred, slowly turning on her back and stretching her stiff muscles with a groan. It had been a bad night in every sense of the word and it had left her feeling raw inside. The rhythmic patter of the light rain against the window served to increase her headache and she shut her eyes, hoping to fall back into oblivious sleep. Of course, she couldn't be that lucky. After ten minutes, she gave up.

Faith sat up slowly, trying her best not to wake the other woman, but a brief glance told her that Buffy was already awake. An uneasy feeling seeped into Faith’s heart at seeing her like this, her face expressionless and her eyes unseeing. But the brunette quickly got herself under control, offering her best fake smile. God knows she didn’t feel like smiling.

“… Hey B.”

Buffy didn’t move, her gaze still fixed on some imaginary spot on the white ceiling. Her mouth was dry, her eyes burning, and she had nothing to say or nothing she wanted to think about. She knew Faith was talking to her, but she’d have to think in order to answer and she didn’t want to.

“Hope I didn’t kick you too much last night.” Faith kept talking, pretending not to notice Buffy’s lack of reaction. “I was told I’m a real fighter when I sleep. Robin woke up with bruised ribs and shins more than once. I even caught him sleeping on the couch once.”

Seeing that she still got nothing from Buffy, Faith sat up completely and swung her legs out of the bed. “I see you’re not in a talking mood so I’ll just leave you alone for a while. I’ll go make some breakfast in case you feel like eating.”

Sitting on the edge of the bed, Faith looked over her shoulder at Buffy, but didn’t really expect an answer. So she stood up and made her way out of the room, all the while hoping Buffy would snap out of her strange mood and join her in the kitchen. But she doubted that would happen. She looked worse than she did the night before. At least then she’d been crying and talking. Now she just looked… dead.

Faith looked in the cupboards and refrigerator for something to eat. At first, she wanted to make a real breakfast for Buffy, but since she obviously wasn’t going to come out of her funk anytime soon, she decided against the idea. She probably wouldn’t enjoy my cooking talents anyway, Faith reasoned. Since she’d be the only one having breakfast, she opted for the cold slice of left over pizza and a can of soda. Not the breakfast of champions, but it would do just fine.

She sat at the breakfast counter and started munching on the pepperoni pizza while trying to come to terms with what had happened the day before. Buffy didn’t seem to be coping well. No way anyone could blame her, but Faith still couldn’t help wondering what to do to help her friend. She was afraid that Buffy and she weren’t close enough for her presence to be of any help. And she needed to leave in only a few hours. Her shift at the prison started at seven. She’d normally call in sick, but they were short staffed tonight. Faith popped the can of diet coke open and took a long swallow, looking outside thoughtfully. The sky was starting to clear and a few rays of sunshine were already starting to dry the wet lawn. Memories of the party Buffy had thrown a few months ago in her back yard invaded her mind. That day, she’d played it aloof, but she’d been so happy just to be invited and be considered one of Buffy‘s friends. She‘d had a good time.

That made Faith clue in on what she should do. She suddenly stood up and walked to the kitchen with purpose. Opening every drawer, she looked for Buffy’s address book. It had to be near a phone somewhere. There was a phone in the kitchen, the living room, and Buffy’s bedroom. So it had to be in one of those places. She felt guilty for looking through Buffy’s personal belongings, but it was a necessary evil. She finally found what she was looking for in the little side table next to the couch in the living room. The antique-looking table had a drawer, and in it Faith found a black address book.

Her first instinct told her to call Buffy’s mom, but as she was dialing the number she quickly hung up, unsure of her decision. Her impulsiveness had gotten her in trouble more than once before and she didn’t want to do something stupid that would cause Buffy more anguish and pain. What if she hadn’t told her mother about all this? The relationship between Buffy and her mom was open, from what Faith had seen, but would she really tell her mom that she was having an affair with a prisoner and was pregnant? Buffy seemed like the kind of good girl who wouldn’t want to disappoint her mom, so there was a fair chance she wouldn’t share that type of information with Joyce Summers. Faith couldn’t take the risk. That left her with two choices, little sister or best friend. Somehow, Faith had a feeling Buffy and Dawn told each other everything, good or bad.

She picked up the little black book again and found Dawn’s number. Quickly, she dialed. It rang a few times before someone answered. The girl who answered was laughing and shouted something to another occupant of the room before finally saying “hello?”

Faith cut her off, clearly annoyed. “Dawn Summers.” She said in a sharp tone.

“Uh… Yeah. One minute.”

Not long after, another voice came over the phone. “Yeah?”

“Dawn? It’s Faith… Buffy’s friend. We met at the party…”

“Yes, sure. Hi! How are you?”

“Been better, thanks.” Faith said dryly. “I’m at your sister’s place right now.”

Dawn didn’t know what to make of the phone call. She was puzzled that Faith would call her in the first place. They’d never really talked except at the party. And the fact that she was calling her from Buffy’s house was even stranger. It didn’t sound like a social call either.

“What’s going on? Everything OK? Did something bad happen?”

“Whoa, slow down just a sec. First I need to know… Do you and your sister tell each other all your dirty secrets?”

“Why do you want to know that?..”

“Look, can you please just answer?” she said, her voice weary.

“We tell each other everything and in case you wonder, I don’t repeat anything she tells me. So don’t bother asking.”

“It’s not like that, Dawn. I wanted to know because I didn’t want to tell you something you don’t already know. But Buffy needs you right now.”

Faith filled a now distraught Dawn in on the details of what happened the day before.

“Oh God…” The young girl whispered breathlessly. “I’ll be there in two hours. I’ll borrow my roommate’s car.”

“Good. I’ll be here waiting.”

Faith hung up and went to make Buffy some toast and coffee, hoping to convince her to eat something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sound of a car door slamming could be heard from inside the house. Faith stood up and went to the window to look outside. Dawn was running to the front door like she had the devil tailing her.

“That sassy little sister of yours is here, B.” Faith told the quiet woman on the bed.

The only change in Buffy over the past two hours was that she’d turned on her side, probably tired of looking at the ceiling. She had also shaken her head no when Faith had offered the toast and coffee, and nodded when Faith asked her if it was alright that she’d called Dawn. The only time she’d talked was when she’d told Faith that she didn’t want to talk and she was sorry. So Faith had sat on the bed with her and read some magazines.

Dawn burst into the room, then stopped in her tracks, a stricken look on her pretty face at the sight of her sister.

“Oh… Buffy.” She said quietly, almost afraid to disturb the depressive atmosphere in the bedroom.

Faith watched as Dawn quietly climbed on the bed behind her sister and spooned with her, hugging Buffy’s back to her chest and burrowing her face in her blonde hair.

Feeling awkward and out of place, Faith left the bedroom and went to make herself a cup of coffee, hoping it wouldn’t take too long for the siblings to talk it out. She didn’t know if it would be rude to just leave without saying goodbye. She almost snickered out loud at how ridiculously mundane this sounded. Almost as if she’d come over for tea and was now saying her goodbyes. She shook her head and busied herself with preparing coffee. She sat down with her mug when it was done brewing and sat silently at the kitchen table after glancing quickly at the clock. She had a little while before her shift started, but she still had to get out of her dirty clothes and take a shower. She was starting to smell funky.

After almost an hour alone with her own thoughts, Faith was about to get up to leave when Dawn walked into the kitchen. Her red-rimmed eyes said a lot about her current misery. Faith looked at her expectantly.

“So? Anything?”

The young girl shook her head, fresh tears threatening to spill down her cheeks. “No. She wouldn’t talk to me. All I got from her was ‘I’m fine. I don’t want to talk about it.’ You know Buffy… trying to be tough all the time.”

“What about you, college girl? You all right?”

Dawn shook her head without a word.

Faith gave her a sympathetic look. “Sorry kid. I didn’t know who to call and didn’t want to leave her alone. I spent the night here but I need to go to work.”

“Oh.” Dawn sounded dejected. “You’re leaving?”

“Yeah. A girl’s gotta make a living you know? I swear I would have rather stayed here with you and B, but I really can’t. Giles’ gonna have my head if I don’t show up. We don’t have enough guards to cover every section tonight. If I call in sick, the old man’s gonna have a fit.”

Dawn sat down. "Sure. I understand..."

The younger girl had her hands clasped together between her knees, her shoulder were slumped and she was looking down with a sad pout on her full lips. Faith raised a disbelieving eyebrow at the display.

"'you practice that look a lot, Miss Drama Queen?"

Dawn looked up sharply, looking slightly wounded at the accusation. "I wasn't..."

"Cause I'm telling you, if secretly I wasn't so scared of the British Wonder I work with, it would have probably worked."

Dawn smiled hesitantly. "Really?"

"Absolutely."

Faith squeezed the girl's shoulder affectionately, then put her bag on her shoulder and took her keys on the kitchen table. She started walking away when Dawn stopped her.

"Are you gonna come back?"

"Sure. I'll come check on you girls tomorrow. I left my cell number on the fridge if you need anything."

Dawn nodded.

"And if you tell anyone I'm scared of Giles, there will be hell to pay, missy."

Dawn couldn't help but chuckle at the empty threat. "I wouldn't dare. Your secret is safe with me."

She watched Faith leave, then went to take her place at Buffy's side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith made her way through the familiar hallways in silence, her eyes down to avoid making eye contact with anybody. She was not in the mood for small talk. She quickly pushed open the door to the infirmary and walked in.

Anya stood up eagerly, then sat back down with a disappointed frown when she saw who it was. "Oh, Faith. It's just you. I thought someone needed my help."

"Actually, Nymph, I sorta do."

"What's wrong?.. And I'm not a nympho! I told you that many times before. I have a healthy sexual appetite, nothing wrong with that."

"Aw, it's nothing but an affectionate little nickname. Don‘t get all freaked out on me for that."

The words were playful, but Anya couldn't help noticing how dull Faith's voice sounded. She stood up again and walked to the dark haired woman. Automatically, Faith extended her arm, offering Anya her bandaged right hand.

"'Need stitches, Nymph."

"What happened?"

"The tiled wall of my shower got in the way of my fist."

"I'm glad not to be your landlord, Faith." Anya commented lightly while her trained hands were unwrapping the gauze covering the wound. When the broken flesh appeared, she whistled under her breath.

"Damn, you must have been really angry at that wall."

"I was a bit upset, yeah. The pain helped."

"What now?" Anya asked, her eyes never leaving her task.

"What do you mean?"

"When your hand heals and there's no more pain, what do you do then? Drop something heavy on your foot? Punch yourself in the face?.. I'm just wondering how breaking your hand helps you not being upset anymore. Isn't pain temporary?"

Faith tensed visibly. "Look, not that I don't appreciate the feeling, but if I wanted a shrink to check out my head, I'd be lying down on a plush leather couch right about now."

"Fine." Anya's eyes got considerably colder and she stopped talking, biting her lower lip and focusing on finishing stitching Faith's hand.

The silence was heavy and uncomfortable, especially coming from the usually chatty nurse, but Faith didn't have the energy left in her to do something about it.

Anya finished up and wrapped clean gauze around the now sutured wound. She turned around without a word and went to wash her hands. "You should go say hello to Spike. He's really lonely."

Anya shook her head, not seeing Faith's panicked look. "I don't understand why no one cares about such a drool worthy male specimen. It's a shame that no one would come visit or at least call him. I think he's a little bit depressed."

Faith took a step back toward the door, her eyes nervously glancing from the room where she knew Spike was, to Anya.

"I can't. Not right now. I'm sorry." She mumbled hurriedly.

And it was the truth. She really couldn't face Spike right now. She'd probably break down and tell him everything. It would hurt him and it would hurt Buffy. No, she really couldn't go in there.

Anya looked even angrier than she'd been. "Geez, all right. I didn't know I was asking so much. I just thought it might have been nice of you to at least ask him how he's doing." She grabbed Faith's good hand and slapped a bottle of pills in it. "Here's something for the pain."

Anya returned to what she was doing before the other woman had walked in, clearly dismissing Faith.

"Thanks. And... I uh... I'll try to bring Geek boy so he can visit Spike later." Faith turned to leave but as she reached for the handle, Anya's voice stopped her.

"I didn't want to be a psychologist to you Faith, I just wanted to be a friend... just thought you should know."

Faith scrunched her eyes shut as if in pain. What was wrong with the world suddenly that everybody wanted to be her friend when for so long, she had no one but herself? She should be ecstatic, but the thing was, she'd just found out that caring about people was a lot more painful than she'd thought.

With a sad smile, she looked over her shoulder to where Anya was waiting expectantly and raised her now throbbing hand, drawing the nurse's attention to the injury. "See, the thing is... I kinda suck at being a friend. Gimme one more person to care about, and God only knows what I‘ll break next."

Anya nodded her understanding, watching sadly as Faith walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You are so beyond cool.”

The young prisoner gushed while trotting happily next to Faith. The guard’s eyes were narrowed into dangerous slits, frustration and boredom fighting for dominance on her face. She let out a long, slow breath. This day kept getting worse.

“Amongst the brave men keeping this fortress safe, the one woman bravest of them all is standing tall.”

Faith had never rolled her eyes so much in so little time. About an hour ago, she’d fetched Andrew and took him to the infirmary so he could visit Spike. They were now on their way back to the common room and she could not wait to get there and finally be rid of the annoying little man.

“But now,” Andrew continued his animated speech, completely oblivious to Faith’s irritation. “I know for sure you are the most amazing woman ever created.”

She really couldn’t help but turn her head to give him a look of complete disbelief. Was this guy for real?!

Andrew frowned, the wheels turning in his fantasist head. “Well, maybe not exactly... But right up there. With Ms. Summers. She’s way cool too. You’re my savior, and Spike’s savior. He could have died you know? But you walked right in there and stood up to the corrupt guard and saved him.”

He stopped talking long enough to take a breath and shake his head. “And now... You gave me the chance to finally thank Spike properly. I didn’t really have time to do it yesterday in all this madness.”

Oh God, there were tears in his eyes now! Thank heavens they were almost there.

“You are truly a pure soul, Faith. A tough woman with a heart of gold. Thank you.”

“Uh... yeah. Whatever.”

She unlocked the door to the common room and after pushing Andrew in and letting the door shut behind them, she unlocked his handcuffs.

She looked around and saw two guards coming her way. She sighed in relief at the possible diversion.

“Thank you, Faith. You’re a great person. You're just like..."

"OK! I get it. You're welcome. Now scram..."

Andrew opened his mouth to say something else, but as soon as he saw the two guard coming their way, he decided that listening to what Faith said would be a good idea after all. These guys were mean. So he scrammed.

Faith looked expectantly at her two coworkers. She didn't like them, couldn't even remember their names, but they were a welcome distraction from Geek boy. Anything that would save her from the little prisoner's chatter could only be seen as a good thing.

"Yo, what's up boys?"

The two guards didn't answer right away. They stopped in front of the female guard and stood there, just a little too close for comfort. Right away, Faith could detect a certain level of tension. She had a feeling the worse day ever just got a little bit worse. She still kept on her "tough girl" facade, hoping it would deter these two idiots' intentions.

"I said: What. Is. Up? That too complicated a question for you guys? You spill now, because I have other things to do... places to be. Ya know the drill."

The two other guards had decidedly unpleasant smiles on their faces. One of them--tall and skinny, definitely ugly--finally spoke up.

"You think you're the shit, Faith, don't you? Think because you're the only female guard here, you can rule the place?"

"Excuse me?” She exclaimed, anger flashing in her brown eyes. “What the fuck are you getting at?"

The slightly shorter man, with red hair and tattoos, advanced on her. He only took one step, but the message was clear. Faith tensed, her whole body on alert.

Tall and ugly continued his little speech, clearly not impressed by Faith. "It's bad enough we have to let one chick make the rules because she's the warden and we don't have a God damn word to say about it, we're not gonna let a little egotistical bitch like you make the law too. Got me?"

Doing her best to look unimpressed, Faith took a step closer to tall and ugly. She hesitated a moment, trying hard to remember his name but without success. She never worked with those two because she usually had the day shift and they worked at night. She decided Asshole suited him. "Look asshole, either you tell me what the hell you're talking about right now, or this conversation is over. You're making me waste my time here."

"You always manage to get your way and we're sick of it." Mr. Tattoo explained. "You got the last warden fired, you're kissing up to the new one, and now you fucking got Jake fired thanks to that BIG FUCKING MOUTH of yours. Just because you have tits doesn’t mean you can get away with everything. Not here."

Faith took two steps back only to encounter the very solid wall. Suddenly, she realized what that long phone call Buffy made when they got to her place the day before was all about.

"So, she fired Jake then..." Faith stated, more for her own benefit.

"Not officially, but he got his security access card taken away and somehow," Tall and ugly said through clenched teeth, his eyes burning with hatred. "I think it has something to do with you and what happened in the shower room yesterday morning."

Deciding this was getting out of hand and things didn't look so good for her, Faith tried to punch the nearest of her tormentors. She had to use her left hand because of her injury, and with her back against the wall, she couldn’t pull back enough to deliver a serious punch. Her fist came at the red head slow enough for him to catch it in his meaty paw and stop her before she reached her intended target. He quickly used his other hand to crush her throat painfully and slam her against the wall. The two men used their body to shield the scene from anybody who'd care to look.

"You might act all tough and mighty, Faith, but in the end, you're just a scared little girl. Aren't you?"

Her hands were clawing at the red head's hand, trying to somehow relieve some of the pressure around her wind pipe.

"Fuck you!" She managed to croak.

"No, fuck YOU Faith. You'll soon find out who really makes the rules around here, and it's not a little bitch like you..."

Faith was starting to see black spots, when suddenly, the pressure around her neck was gone. She dropped to her knees and tried desperately to catch her breath. For a few seconds, she was unaware of the commotion and only thought he'd decided to let her go. Then she heard an angry male voice yelling: "Get your fucking hands off of her!"

Faith looked up.

Charles Gunn was in the middle of doing quite a number on her attacker's face.

She massaged her bruised throat for a moment while watching the scene, a surprised look on her pretty face. Looked like she'd just been rescued by a tall, well muscled, black hunky knight in shining armor. The day was turning out pretty good in the end.

She noticed Tall and ugly snapping out of his stupor and looking like he was just about to help his little buddy. Faith stood up on slightly shaky legs and quickly reached him. She cocked her fist and hit him, satisfied when it connected with his jaw. Yep, she still had it.

The other guards on duty in the room had just noticed the commotion and came running. Right away, they tried to grab hold of Gunn, but Faith stopped them.

"Wrong guy. He was just defending me against these two assholes."

They released Charles, and he came closer to Faith.

"'You OK, there?"

"I'll live. Thanks… I owe you one, big boy. Not that I really needed help or anything..." She quickly added.

An amused smile played on his lips. "Yeah right. He was choking you. You were about to pass out. Face it, you were toast, girl."

Faith snorted. "As if. I had everything under control... I had a plan you know."

“I’d like to hear that fabulous plan of yours. I’m curious.”

“Play the damsel in distress and wait for a drool worthy hunk of a man to rescue me.”

She winked at him, then follow another guard out of the room, leaving Charles Gunn speechless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't kill the messenger by Isabel
Author's Notes:
Wow guys, thank you so much for all the reviews! I'm so glad to see you still enjoy this story. And I worried that maybe you wouldn't like the fact Faith was the main character in the last chapter, but all your reviews made me feel better about that and made me think I made the right decision. Thanks again, and keep reviewing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 49: Don't kill the messenger

Spike walked through the cafeteria, ignoring the stares and snickers of the other inmates. He’d only been in the infirmary for four days, but it was enough to remind him of how much he really hated being around the other inmates. Apparently, he was well enough to leave. Since they hadn’t received any more orders about him from the warden, they’d decided he could go back to his cell. Anya said she’d need to see him a few more times to check how his wound was healing and he needed to stay out of trouble, but otherwise, he was fine. Too bad. He would definitely miss having nurse Anya bringing him half decent food in bed. Maybe he could get stabbed again... Right. No. He’d promised Buffy to be careful from now on. Meaning no more breakfast in bed. Bleeding hell.

He looked around and, not seeing Gunn anywhere, made his way to a table in the far corner. He put his tray down on the table and before he could sit, a high pitched voice caught his attention.

The two hobbits were walking in his direction. At first, he thought about picking up his tray and moving to the other end of the room, but then what Andrew said made him pause.

“So, I finally found out what happened to the warden...” Andrew told Jonathan with an air of self-importance.

“It’s the third time you’ve said that and then said you’ll tell me later. Will you just tell me already!” Jonathan whined, clearly annoyed with his friend.

“Relax. I’m telling you now.” The taller geek rolled his eyes.

They were now almost next to Spike and he could hear every word clearly. They obviously hadn‘t noticed him standing there, so he decided to listen in on the conversation they were having.

“Apparently, the poor woman lost her baby. Isn‘t that sad?”

“No way! That totally sucks. Who told you that?”

Before Andrew could figure out what was happening to him, Spike had his hand clutched tightly around his throat and held him against the wall, his feet not touching the ground. Andrew desperately attempted to pry the stronger man's hands from his throat but the attempt was futile. The look on Spike's face was positively terrifying. Jonathan ran as far from harm‘s way as he could, of course.

"What the BLEEDING HELL do you mean?" Spike hissed in Andrew‘s face.

"Nothing..." Andrew croaked pitifully.

"People don't go around flapping their gums about things like that and mean 'nothing'. You explain yourself now if you like your head attached to the rest of your body. Understand?"

Andrew was looking around in hopes of finding help, wondering why the guards hadn't noticed yet, but no one was paying attention. He fleetingly thought of how tragic it was that such a drama was happening in plain sight and people were oblivious to it. Something Shakespeare could have easily been inspired by if he’d still been alive...

Spike shook him back to reality, ignoring the sharp pain that shot through his torso. “WHERE did you hear that rubbish? Will you answer or do I have to snap your head off?”

Andrew grunted weakly.

“What are you saying, geek? I didn’t quite get that.”

Andrew pointed at the hand constricting his airway. In his rage, Spike had squeezed a little harder than he should have if he wanted the wanker to talk. He released some of the pressure, but kept his hand around Andrew’s throat in case the little man decided to try something.

“That hurt you big bully!” Andrew whimpered, trying his best to glare at Spike.

“Don’t make up stories about the warden, and people won’t go ‘round crushing your windpipe. Should have bloody well thought about this before running your mouth.”

“I didn’t make up stories! I was just repeating what I heard.” Andrew managed to look offended by the accusation despite the fact that he was walking a dangerous line. But he still had the presence of mind to lower his voice before concluding: “The warden had a miscarriage. That‘s all I know and I didn‘t make that up, I swear.”

Spike paled and gritted his teeth in barely suppressed rage and fear. “And where the fuck did you hear that?”

The little blonde geek got all animated with excitement. “Well, I was walking into the library when I overheard a guard who was talking to another guard. Apparently, this guys, Julian, is friends with the cafeteria lady, you know, Mrs. Metzger?”

Only one look at Spike told Andrew that he better not wait for an answer. “Anyway, he said that Mrs. Metzger heard it from Joseph who is one of the prison employees parking attendants. Not that I knew that since I‘ve never actually parked a car here, but that’s what the guard said.”

“Andrew...” Spike almost growled in warning.

“I HAVE a point here! If you’ll just let me get to it. Geez! So that guy, Joseph, said he was working one afternoon a few days ago when he saw Ms. Summers walking to her car. She never made it. She passed out right there in the parking lot. He said Faith was there and she was really freaked out. He said Ms. Summers was sent to the hospital because she miscarried. That’s why she’s been MIA for a few days now. I don‘t know why you‘re so pissed, but don‘t be mad at me, be mad at the person who actually started the rumor. You know what they say about killing the messenger... Don‘t.”

Spike let go of the other man completely, his arm falling limply to his side, suddenly numb. That’s the moment the guards chose to interfere.

Two guards grabbed him and pulled him away from where Andrew was still standing.

“Come on, Rayne.” One of the guards said. “Get off the poor guy. Can’t you see he’s not interested.” The guard chuckled.

“Yeah, Rayne--no means no!” The other guard said in a falsetto voice, taunting the prisoner.

In what could have been a reenactment of a scene that happened almost a year ago--the day of his arrest--Spike let the guards take him away without the slightest reaction. Until their supervisor stopped them. Rupert Giles was standing in their way, and did not look happy. He was frowning while taking in Spike’s appearance.

“Where are you taking him?”

“Isolation, sir.”

"Don't you know he got injured only a few days ago?"

The two guards gave each other similar puzzled looks before one of them shrugged and answered. "So?"

"If you'd paid more attention, you'd notice he obviously reopened his wound.” Giles looked pointedly at Spike’s shirt where a blood stain could be seen. “Putting him in isolation wouldn't be the brightest choice."

"But he attacked another prisoner, sir."

Giles' stern look settled on Spike. "Again I say, not the brightest thing to do. What possessed you, I haven't got a clue." He turned to the guards. "Leave it. I will take him to his cell myself. Dear lord, you two are useless and have no common sense whatsoever."

Afraid of the repercussions for arguing with their boss, the two guards walked away, leaving Spike in Giles' care. He led the unresponsive man to his cell. Another guard, Peter, who was still relatively new to the prison, unlocked the door for them.

"Thank you, Peter, that'd be all."

"But..." The tall young man hesitated, unsure of the procedure. "He's bleeding through his shirt, shouldn't I call the nurse?"

"He might have reopened his wound. I'll check the stitches myself. If it's more serious than I think it is, I'll get her." He dismissed Peter and closed the bars behind him.

Once alone with Spike, Giles led the prisoner to the cot and made him sit.

"What in the bleeding hell got into you?"

When he didn't get a response from Spike, he sighed heavily. "Open up your shirt so I can see what kind of damage you did to yourself. Unfortunately, Buffy would be upset with me if I let you bleed to death. I'd rather avoid that."

Spike obeyed almost mechanically, still not saying a word. He opened his shirt, revealing the gauze wrapped around his midsection. A large spot of fresh blood was slowly spreading, the bright red a sharp contrast against the white of the bandage.

Giles clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Bleeding hell... I don't even know why they would let you out of the infirmary so soon anyway. Lie down, I'll go get Anya."

The guard was turning around to leave the cell when Spike finally spoke.

"Is it true?"

Giles stopped and turned to face Spike. He finally noticed there was something terribly wrong with the prisoner. Something that had nothing to do with his physical injury.

"Whatever do you mean?"

Spike shook his head as if trying to rid his brain of the stupor and focus on what was going on. "I heard something just now... a rumor..."

"William, get on with it. I'm slowly reaching the end of my patience. What in the world are you talking about?"

Blue eyes full of pain turned to look at Giles. "Did Buffy miscarry?" He chuckled humorlessly. "It's gotta be some stupid rumor. Has to be... would know if she was pregnant in the first place, wouldn‘t I?"

Giles froze. For a moment, his mouth hung open and he was speechless. He'd thought it odd that Buffy would take a few days off without telling him, and he did try to call her without ever managing to get a hold of her. But it never crossed his mind... Could it be true? Surely, she would have told him.

"Where did you hear this nonsense? Buffy is perfectly fine."

Spike kept his eyes trained on the other British man for a moment before speaking again. "Is she? Really? Because for a moment there, you hesitated. Where is she if she's OK?"

"Probably home, sick. A cold maybe... nothing to worry yourself with."

"She would have told me. She doesn't tell me everything of course, but I was injured and last time I saw her, she was really upset about it and promised to visit every day. If she got sick, she would have sent you or Faith to let me know."

"Faith? What does Faith have to do with this?"

"The bird found out about Buffy and I the day I got injured."

Giles took his glasses off and carefully cleaned the lenses. He could feel the beginning of a head ache forming at his temples and between his eyes. "I'm not even going to comment on this. The two of you have been taking tremendous risks with this. I cannot believe Buffy would be so careless as to let..."

"I thought you said you weren't going to comment on this?" Spike snapped. He was on edge. He needed to know if what Andrew said was true.

Giles glared at Spike, but he understood. If he was right about this, Buffy hadn't even told him yet that she was pregnant. Meaning not only did the poor bloke just find out through someone else, but there was also a chance she might have lost the child.

"I'm telling the truth, Spike. I don't know anything. But I'll find out what is wrong with her, if only to put your worries at ease. But keep in mind that Buffy still has quite a few enemies in this prison and anybody could have started a false rumor. Most likely, it's nothing at all. But if it makes you feel better, I'll stop by her house and see for myself."

Spike hung his head, feeling drained of his energy. "Thanks Rupert. I would appreciate that."

Giles nodded and turned to leave.

"I'll send Anya to take a look at your injury."

Without a word, Spike lay down, not caring that he was on Snyder's bed. He didn't even want to attempt climbing up into his own bed and it would also be easier for the nurse to change his bandage this way. He stared at the top bunk with unseeing eyes. If this rumor was true, it meant that Buffy had been pregnant. Did she know? Or did she just find out when it was already too late? Or maybe it was a misunderstanding. Maybe she did pass out but didn't lose the baby if baby there was. He remembered that day; she'd been exhausted emotionally and physically. There was a chance that she might still be pregnant and resting at home.

The idea that he might not be the father didn't even cross his mind. Buffy wouldn't betray him that way. Not that he would blame her if she did, but he didn't believe that. He didn't want to think she was that kind of woman. Buffy wasn’t Drusilla. If she'd met someone else, he liked to believe that she would be honest with him about it, no matter how much it would hurt. No, if she was pregnant, the baby had to be his. But Spike knew he was getting ahead of himself. He didn't even know for sure if it was true. And if it was true, chances were there wasn’t a baby anymore. But if there was...

Well, he really didn't know how he felt about that. Of course he'd be happy. How could he not? The situation was less than ideal but they would cope. It would be bad, but in a way, he'd feel like he'd given Buffy something of him to take home.

Spike sat up quickly and automatically hissed in pain, his abused body protesting loudly.

Didn't he tell Buffy recently that they should be more careful and take extra precautions so she wouldn't get pregnant? Something about how bad it would be if she got pregnant by accident? Was she already pregnant at the time? That sure as hell would explain why she didn't tell him.

Spike rested his head back on the pillow and shut his eyes.

"You fucking WANKER!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Giles knocked a few times, the front door opened on a dark and quiet house. Dawn stood in front of him, looking nothing like the cheerful and carefree girl he’d met not too long ago. Her eyes were tired, her long chocolate brown hair was pulled back into a sloppy pony tail, she was wearing ratty sweat pants and an old Hemery High t-shirt. However, her face brightened considerably when she saw him.

“Giles! Oh my God, hi!”

“Hello, Dawn.”

“I’m so glad you’re here, you have no idea.”

Giles smiled warmly at the young woman. “Would you mind if I came in?”

“I’m sorry, how rude of me. Come in.” Dawn blushed prettily.

She stepped aside to let Giles in. He nodded and smiled gratefully at her.

“Thank you. Is… Is Buffy home, by any chance?”

The light left Dawn’s eyes at the mention of Buffy. It made Giles’ heart tighten in worry. “Is something wrong, Dawn? Is Buffy alright? Is she here?”

“… Yes, no and yes.”

He took a deep breath to calm himself. “Would you care to elaborate, please?”

“Something is wrong, Buffy is NOT alright even though she keeps saying she is, and yes she’s here. She’s in her bedroom right now. She barely left her room at all in the past couple of days.” Dawn’s eyes filled up with tears. “Did you know she was pregnant?”

Giles nodded carefully, suddenly filled with a sense of doom.

“Well she’s not anymore.”

“Oh dear lord…”

She turned around and walked to the kitchen.

“I have water boiling.” The young girl said in a flat voice. “I was making tea. Do you want some?”

Giles shook himself out of his shock. “I appreciate it, Dawn, but I’ll pass. Would it be alright if I go see Buffy?”

Dawn faced him and gave the older man a grateful look. “Please. Maybe you’ll get through to her. I tried and nothing will make her snap out of it. I don’t know what to do to make it better.”

“This is a hard situation, Dawn. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Buffy will have to deal with her grief on her own time. You can’t be expected to fix this. Just being there for her is already plenty enough, I’m sure.”

She managed a weak smile. “I just hate to see her in that much pain. I wish I could do something to help. Maybe you’ll have more luck.”

“All I can do is promise to try.”

Giles turned and made his way to Buffy’s room, leaving Dawn with her thoughts and her own grief.

He knocked lightly on the door, not wanting to wake Buffy up if she was sleeping.

“Yeah?”

Giles opened the door. Buffy was sitting in a comfy chair by the window. She had her legs tucked beneath her and was looking outside.

He went to sit at the end of her unmade bed and waited for her to look at him before speaking.

When she finally did, he gave her a small smile. “Hello Buffy.”

“Hi.” She answered quietly.

He remained silent, waiting for her to speak when she was ready. What could he say anyway? That he was sorry? The words couldn’t even come close to expressing his feelings, and would probably be interpreted as pity. She didn’t look like someone who wanted pity at the moment.

It took a little while, but she finally broke the silence.

“It’s so hard, Giles.”

“I know.” His voice was soft, hoping to offer some kind of comfort to the broken girl.

She shifted in the chair and drew her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around her bent legs in a protective manner.

“I can’t do this. I really don’t think I can.”

“Buffy, of course you can. You’re a strong woman. The strongest I’ve ever met.”

“I used to think I was, but I’m starting to realize that maybe I was fooling myself. Everybody has a breaking point and I think I’ve just reached mine.”

Giles stood up and came to sit on the armrest of her armchair. He reached down and took her hand in his in a show of support. Support that she desperately needed at the moment.

“Women who go through this,” She continued in a voice thick with sorrow. “…they can stay at home and work through the pain with the arms of the man they love around them. Well, unless they’re in love with a jerk I guess. But me… What kind of choice do I have? Either I stay home, alone, or I go to work so I can steal a few moments with my man. But that would mean having to face all these people and pretend that everything is all right. I don’t think I have the courage to smile right now. I would probably end up breaking down in front of them.”

The young woman was obviously fighting tears and Giles reached out to push a stray lock of her blonde hair behind her ear in an instinctive fatherly gesture.

“I need him so much.” She whispered in a barely audible voice.

Making a decision, Giles got up and not letting go of her small hand, he gently pulled her up to her feet. She didn’t even have the strength to resist.

Standing in the middle of the room and looking every bit like a lost little girl, Buffy watched Giles disappear inside her walk-in closet. He came out of the closet a moment later, holding a pair of jeans and a long sleeve black cotton t. He put everything down on the bed and faced Buffy.

“You take a quick shower and get dressed. I’ll have some coffee ready for you when you’re done. That should refresh you enough so I can take you for a quick visit at the prison. And I won’t take no for an answer so don’t waste your time.”

Without waiting for an answer, he walked out of the bedroom, leaving Buffy to stare at his retreating back. It took a few moments, but she finally moved to go pick up the clothes he left for her on the bed and made her way to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tough love by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I took a little break, but I'm back. I'll do my best to work on PMJ and Aloha as much as I can in the next couple of days and hopefully, will have more updates for you. Thanks for your continuous support and reviews. You guys are the best! {{hugs}}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 50: Tough love

The short drive to Sunnydale’s prison was made in absolute silence. It was getting late and Giles tried to focus his attention on the road and leave the girl sitting next to him alone with her thoughts. They'd left Buffy's house much later than intended. Buffy had stalled as much as she could, then Dawn had decided to cook them a meal. It was now almost ten o'clock. It would make things more complicated, but at this point, he didn't even care what the guards would think of him taking Spike from his cell so late at night. They’d have to shut their bloody trap and do as he said.

Giles glanced at Buffy a few times, worry etched on his features. The young woman was sitting stiffly in the passenger seat, her hand holding on to the door handle so tightly that her knuckles were white with the strain. She was staring blankly at the houses and trees zooming by. As they approached the prison's parking lot, he saw the look of panic flashing in her hazel eyes.

"I can't. Please turn around--I can't do this. I don't know what to tell him. He doesn't even know I was pregnant. What if he reacts badly? What if he's mad at me for getting pregnant in the first place? Or worst, what if he's relieved that I lost it? I don't think I could handle this."

"Buffy, you love this man, don't you?"

She gave him a puzzled look, not understanding what he was getting at. "Well, yeah... What do you think this is all about?"

Giles tried very hard not to sigh, but failed. "Then I think maybe you should have a little more faith in him. I suspect that you would not be so much in love with William Rayne if he was the kind of man who would be relieved to hear that you went through a miscarriage."

"I know."

Giles swiped his security card to open the gates leading to the parking lot. He waved at the guard and slowly drove to the parking spot near the entrance door that had his name on it, right next to the one that said: B. Summers.

They got inside the building and made their way through the security point. The night shift guard, who didn't get to see the warden very often, opened surprised eyes when he noticed Buffy standing behind Giles. He scrambled to his feet in a hurry.

"Ms. Summer? What brings you here at this time? Is there something wrong?"

Giles answered for Buffy. "Sit down, Smith. I don't think Ms. Summers needs an interrogation right now. She needed to retrieve some papers from her office. Ms. Rosenberg is doing a good job replacing her, but Ms. Summers is still the warden and can be here in the middle of the night if she feels like it."

"O--of course." The man stammered uncomfortably. "I wasn't implying that she couldn't. I was just surprised."

The other guard on duty, who had been silently observing the scene while sipping on his coffee, snickered at his colleague's embarrassment.

Buffy hadn’t said a word, but only a quick glance from the corner of his eyes told Giles that her entire demeanor had changed. Gone was the panic he’d seen there earlier. It had been replaced by a cool and collected look brought on by sheer determination at not letting her employees witness her distress.

They left the two guards behind and went straight to her office without crossing paths with anybody else. By day the prison was buzzing with activity, but it was eerily quiet at this time of the night. Buffy watched as Giles filled out a release form, then she signed it. He gave her shoulder an affectionate squeeze before going to get Spike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mr. Giles? I didn’t know you were working the night shift.”

The young man, who seemed to be in his late twenties, fell into step with Giles. The older man barely suppressed a sigh of annoyance. He didn’t like Johnson. The guard was one of those people who always have a look on their face that says they think they’re more important than they actually are. Bossy and arrogant, even when he was affecting humility in front of his superior.

Giles didn’t even bother pointing out to young guard that he wasn’t wearing his uniform, therefore wasn’t on duty. “I’m here to retrieve prisoner Rayne from his cell. He is needed.”

The two men stopped in front of Spike’s cell and Giles pulled out the massive key ring that was attached with a chain to his back pocket. Though he was expecting it, he was annoyed when Johnson challenged his authority.

Meanwhile, Spike had gotten down from his cot as soon as he'd heard the two guards coming toward his cell. Giles could tell the prisoner could barely contain his anxiety.

“Not that it’s any of your concern, Johnson,” Giles said, his eyes never leaving Spike. “but this has been authorized by the warden herself.”

“Ms. Summers hasn’t been here in days.” The young guard tried to argue.

“Well she’s here now.” Giles snapped. He shoved the authorization slip under the guard’s nose long enough for him to see the signature on it. “And do I need to remind you that it is not your place to question the warden’s decisions or mine? You answer to me, boy. Not the other way around. Try to remember your place from now on.”

Giles turned back to Spike. At the mention of Buffy, he’d taken a few steps closer, his eyes darkening with renewed worry. Without needing to be told, the prisoner put his hands through the bars so Giles could slap the handcuffs on his wrists, then took two steps back to let him open the cell. He then followed Giles out of his cell and out of the holding section.

As soon as they were out of earshot, Spike started bombarding Giles with questions, until the guard lost patience. He stopped and turned to face the prisoner.

“This is not my story to tell, Spike. Whatever questions you have, you can ask Buffy herself. All I can tell you is that she needs you right now and you better take that into consideration when you walk into her office. Because God help me, if you hurt her even more, I will make you pay.”

Spike nodded briefly, his face getting paler as they neared the office door.

“This thing between you and Buffy,” Giles added, not sparing the distraught prisoner a glance. “I knew it was going to be disastrous from the get go, but this is getting ridiculous and I’m starting to believe I should have opposed. It seems like the only one paying the price is Buffy. Things are clearly spiraling out of control and I believe you and I will need to have a talk later on. But for now, let’s not keep her waiting any longer than she has to.”

Giles opened the door to Buffy’s office, his face a grim yet unreadable mask that made Spike even more nervous than he already was.

Spike hesitated, not sure what was worse: Giles, or facing whatever Buffy had to tell him. He finally took a deep, shuddering breath and stepped into the office.

Buffy was huddled on the couch, her arms wrapped tightly around her legs. She didn’t even look up at him when he walked in.

Spike stood in the middle of the relatively dark and quiet office, unsure what to do. He waited for her to acknowledge him. When she finally raised her face to look up at him, her cheeks glistening with tears, he rushed to her side and wrapped her in his arms.

He had his answer.

While she cried in his embrace, he was flooded by conflicting emotions. His own grief, an overwhelming need to shield her from the pain, and an almost shameful desire to shake her in anger for hiding this from him. So he did his best to hold back his impulsive temper, shut his eyes and waited for both of them to calm down before speaking. He knew he needed to weigh his words carefully. She was already hurting enough; he didn’t need to add to her pain.

Finally, her sobs turned into hiccups and sniffles and he decided he’d waited long enough to ask the most pressing question.

“Why?”

She looked up, her eyes red and puffy from finally letting out the tears she’d been holding in for the past couple of days, and her face displaying her incomprehension. So he elaborated.

“Why did you feel you had to hide this from me, Buffy? Wasn’t it my right to know?”

She pushed away from him and went back to her corner of the couch, reassuming the position he’d found her in. Her eyes became vacant again as she looked away.

“Buffy?..”

“I tried…”

“Did you?” He didn’t want to sound accusing, but couldn’t help himself.

Buffy’s face was now a mix of shame and anger. “I did. I knew I had to tell you, but… I also knew it would hurt you. I couldn’t bring myself to do it.”

“Buffy, luv, how would you being pregnant hurt me?” He asked, his tone gentler.

“It would have reminded you that you’re stuck in here. That’s how! On New Year’s Eve, I barely mentioned that I wished you’d be free by next year’s holiday, and you totally freaked out on me. This is like, a thousand times worse! Having a family that you can’t be with, having a kid that you can never see?.. I knew this would make you even more miserable than you already are. And I couldn’t bring myself to do that to you.”

She wiped angrily at her tears, her eyes still looking at anything but him. Spike stood up from where he was crouching next to the couch, and sat next to her. He trapped his fidgety hands between his knees to stop them from shaking, his shoulders slumped and his head down.

"Shouldn't have mattered, luv. We're in this together. You should have trusted me to be there for you when you needed me." He said softly, his voice thick with emotion.

"Well it doesn't matter anymore, does it? I'm no longer pregnant so it's a non-issue. I don't see why you're wasting your breath discussing what I should or shouldn't have done." She spat out angrily.

She knew he had every right to be upset, but so did she. And at the moment, she just couldn't be rational about this.

"Buffy..."

"No. You're right, maybe I should have trusted you to be there for me, but I still need you to do that. I can't deal with accusations right now, Spike."

"I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm just trying to understand why I find out about this now. I get what you're saying, pet. I really do. But why should my pain be more important than yours? Don't you think it upsets me just as much if you're suffering? Give me some credit; I would have been able to deal with the situation. Of course I would have been shocked at first, but not anymore than I am now. You would have had to tell me at some point anyway so I don't see what waiting accomplished."

"Nothing. I know that. It just made things worse. But I'm so used to be standing alone and dealing with problems without leaning on anybody that I was reluctant to burden you. I tried a couple times, Spike. You have to believe me. I even tried to tell you the day I found out, but we had a conversation that day and it took a turn that--let's just say--wasn't favorable to that kind of confession."

Spike looked ashamed. "Anything to do with me being an ignorant wanker and telling you it would be just dreadfully horrible if you'd get pregnant by accident?"

She nodded slowly. "But I realize now that I shouldn't have let this stop me from telling you. I know now it would have been the right thing to do."

"I'm sorry. I had no idea. And pregnant or not, I shouldn't have said what I said. It was insensitive."

"It wasn't and you know it. If we'd been more careful, none of this would have happened."

It was the sensible, mature thing to say, but it still brought fresh tears to her eyes.

"It was stupid, and a huge mistake, but I wanted it. I was happy."

Spike's heart filled with sorrow and the issue of her not telling him suddenly seemed inconsequential. He scooted back on the couch and pulled his girl back in his arms. This time, his own tears rolled down his face.

"I would have been happy too, luv. I really would have. Despite the situation. A child with you could only be a good thing. I would have missed everything, pregnancy, delivery, our child growing up... but at the risk of sounding like a nancy boy, I would have been happy knowing we created something good together and that my pathetic life wouldn't have been for nothing."

She hid a smile against his shoulder. "You're not a nancy boy... Whatever that is."

"So many things I want to give you, Buffy, and it kills me that I can't."

"You love me. That's more than I could ever wish for." She hesitated, not sure she wanted to add to his anguish, but said it anyway. "Well, that, and for you to be free."

"Nice dream, luv. But that's all it is. Even on my best behavior, I don't see that happening until I'm a very old bugger."

"You never know."

"Buffy..." He warned gently. "Better not go there, luv, it will only hurt you more."

For a moment she was tempted to share her plan to free him, but although she'd learned the hard way that hiding things from him could only lead to badness, she decided against it. "Hey, I've had a rough couple of days; I can fantasize if it makes me feel better."

Spike reached up to caressed the side of her face. "I love you, you know that?"

"I love you too."

"I only wish I could be with you and take care of you when you need me. It's so hard being stuck in this bloody place when you have to go home by yourself."

"Now you know how I felt when I found out you'd been stabbed." She replied with a little smile.

He didn't answer, but the emotions in his eyes told her he understood.

"Buffy... Are you gonna be alright?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"That's not an answer, luv." He scolded gently. "I can't go back to my cell not knowing if you'll be OK."

She sighed and took a deep breath, running her fingers through her disheveled hair.

“I think I will be. Now that I’ve seen you, it doesn’t feel as hopeless. I won’t lie to you: I’m not OK and I probably won’t be for a little while, but there’s a big weight off my shoulders now that I know you’re not mad at me.”

He gave her a disbelieving look. “You thought I’d be angry with you for having a miscarriage?”

“I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess when you’re depressed, you see everything darker than it is. Make up horrible stories in your mind. You have no idea how many I had running through my head since it happened Monday. It went from you accusing me of getting pregnant on purpose; to telling me you’ll never forgive me for not telling you and leaving the room without looking back.” She looked down, her cheeks flaming. “I know. Doesn’t make any sense. But I was out of my mind with grief and you weren’t there. My imagination ran wild.”

“I should be insulted that you’d think so little of me... " He raised an eyebrow, the corner of his lips curling up in a half smile. "But I know how it is when you let your imagination get the best of you. Done it quite a few times myself.”

“Giles was right; I needed to talk to you. That’s the one thing I wasn’t strong enough to face on my own.”

Spike decided against telling her that Giles was right brassed off and wanted to talk to him.

“He’s a good man.” He agreed instead.

“Yeah. I’m lucky to have him. I don’t know what we would have done if he hadn’t been so understanding and agreed to help us.”

As if on cue, there was a light knock on the door. Buffy gave Spike a slightly panicked look, her grip on his shoulder instinctively tightening.

“God... Not yet. I need more time with you.”

“I know, kitten. I’m sorry. I wish I could stay longer.”

He kissed the top of her head lovingly, then grazed her lips with his. The kiss intensified, reaching a nearly desperate level, but was quickly interrupted by a more insistent knock. The door opened.

“Buffy, I’m sorry to interrupt but it’s been more than a half hour. I need to bring Spike back to his cell.” Giles said in an apologetic voice.

Buffy didn’t answer. She buried her face in the crook of Spike’s neck and hugged him with almost bruising force. After a few moments, she reluctantly let him go.

“You sure you're gonna be OK?“ Spike asked again while holding her face between his hands and looking into her eyes.

Buffy nodded bravely. “I’ll do my best. Don’t worry too much about me.”

“'m sorry, can’t promise you that, pet. Of course I’ll worry about you. I love you, I can’t help it.”

He gave her a quick parting kiss and stood up to follow Giles. “I’ll call you tomorrow morning.”

“OK.” She did her best impression of a smile then watched the too familiar scene of Spike being led away by Giles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike followed Giles. The silence stretching between them was starting to lull him into believing he'd escape the "talk", but he was wrong. They rounded a corner and found themselves into a smaller, darker hallway. Giles stopped walking and turned to face the prisoner.

"I believe now is as good a time as any to have that talk, Spike."

"Could we maybe do this another time? I'm bloody exhausted as it is..."

"I'm tired too. And so is Buffy for that matter. And that's exactly what I want to talk to you about."

"With all due respect, Rupert, Buffy and I can deal with our own problems."

Giles let out an uncharacteristic snicker. "Because you've done such a stellar job so far?"

Spike looked offended, but had the common sense to refrain from answering.

Giles leaned against the wall and pulled off his glasses to clean them, lost in thought.

The silence put Spike's nerves on edge. He shifted his weight from foot to foot, desperately wishing for a cigarette, and waited for the other man to speak.

"You're not going to like what I have to say..."

"Whatever it is, I'm a big boy, I can take it. So spill it."

"I want you to break things off with her."

Spike was so shocked that he couldn't come up with a suitable reply.

"What?... What did you just say?"

Giles sighed, knowing his advice wouldn't be welcomed by the other man. "This relationship is destroying her, Spike. It simply can't go on."

"Don't you think you're over reacting? Our problems aren‘t so bad considering everything. We can deal with it." He lamely tried to argue.

"That's not what I'm talking about. I meant it literally. She's going to get herself killed."

"What the bleeding hell do you mean?"

Giles finally had all Spike's attention.

"I had an interesting talk with her sister earlier tonight while Buffy was getting ready. Dawn mentioned to me that Buffy made contact with the man who put you in jail. Were you aware of that?"

The look of pure horror on Spike's face told Giles everything he wanted to know.

"She really is trying to get you out of here and she's putting herself at risk in the process."

"Bugger. I had no idea. She told me a while ago that she saw a lawyer about getting me out of jail, but I thought it didn't work out and she gave up the idea. You say she talked to Angel?"

"I'm afraid so. I knew she had hired a private detective, but I didn't think she would do something so foolish as to get involved herself."

"What did Dawn say?"

"She said Buffy is trying to befriend the couple, try to gain their trust in order to get a confession out of them. She went to their house last weekend."

Spike shook his head in disbelief. "Bloody hell."

"These people are criminals that got away with murder. If they suspect even for a minute that someone is on to them, if they discover what Buffy is up to, they'll stop at nothing to silence her. Do you really want the woman you love to risk ending up a lifeless corpse? Do you want that on your conscience, William?"

"I'll talk to her. I'll get her to realize how dangerous this is and to stop."

Giles laughed derisively. "Oh please. Do you really believe that? We're talking about a woman in love here. There's nothing more stubborn. I'm afraid there is no other choice here. You have to end it."

Spike shook his head. "I can't. I won't."

"You have to. It's hurting her. It's not your fault, but being with you is hurting her more than you can imagine. Don't be selfish, William. If you love her as much as you say you do, let her go."

"Oh, right. Because leaving her won't hurt her." Spike's voice was dripping with sarcasm. "Bloody brilliant, Rups. Really."

"You're not looking at the big picture. Of course it will hurt her, I won't deny it. But you have to think of the long run. She'll get over it. She'll move on eventually."

"I won't do it. You're asking me something I can't do."

"Do you think I enjoy being the bad guy here? I don’t. But someone has to think clearly since the two of you obviously can’t.”

He took a step closer to Spike and put his hand on his slumped shoulder in a small show of compassion.

“Don't get me wrong, William. If the situation was different, I'm sure the two of you would be perfect for each other. But the situation is what it is, and because of it, I think she deserves better. She deserves to be with a man with whom she can go out and enjoy herself, eventually get married and have children. You can't offer her any of this. And for as long as the two of you will continue with this secret love affair, you're holding her back. Not that it will matter if she gets herself killed for you."

Spike looked away without answering. There was guilt and shame in his blue eyes.

"For her sake, William... Let her go."

There was a long uncomfortable silence before Spike said in a slightly shaky voice "Could you take me back to my cell, please."

"Of course." Giles answered curtly while dropping his hand from Spike‘s shoulder as if burned. It didn’t look like he’d got through to the stubborn prisoner.

Not one more word was exchanged between them on the way. Giles led Spike to his cell and shut the bars with a loud bang and left, never looking back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
White lies and consequences by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 51: White lies and consequences


"You're joking, right? You mean the old bastard was helping you guys out? Now that's shocking news. I would have thought Mr. Stiff Upper lip would be way too uptight to do something like that." Gunn commented, clearly impressed by this new and unexpected bit of information.

"And trust me, it shocked me too at first. When he found out about us, I thought that was it. The git can be down right scary at times." Spike said, remembering all too well how he had felt while following Giles out of the office after the guard had found out about his affair with Buffy. "But he came around and ended up deciding to help us."

Spike and Gunn were sitting in a quiet corner of the cafeteria, away from potential prying ears. After what happened with Giles and Buffy the day before, Spike needed a friend‘s advice. He couldn’t help but be glad that Charles found out about his relationship with Buffy. It gave him someone to talk to. He was confused, worried, and couldn't make a decision on his own. A part of him wanted to be selfish and ignore what Giles had told him, but he had been shaken by their discussion and was at a loss for what to do.

"And now the old man finally came to his senses." Charles pondered, not looking at Spike. He busied himself pushing food around his plate with his fork to avoid making eye contact with his friend. He knew Spike's volatile temper, and also knew the blonde British man wouldn't like what he had to say on the topic.

Spike snorted derisively. "You mean he lost his soddin’ mind if he ever thought for a second I'm gonna go through with this." He froze when his friend‘s words sunk in. "Hold on just one bloody minute. Do you mean you agree with him?"

Charles put his fork down and sat back to look at Spike, his hands up in a sign of peace. "Now, let’s not freak out, OK? Hear me out first."

"'m all ears, mate." Spike said calmly, but the warning was clear in his icy blue eyes.

Gunn knew he had to tread carefully. Sometimes, talking to Spike was worst than making his way through a mine field. "The guy obviously has nothing against you and her being in love since until now, he was on your side. So what I'm thinking is, it has to be bad for him to change his mind. He'd rather see a woman he has a lot of respect and affection for getting her heart broken than seeing her dead. If he only had a vague feeling that she might be in trouble, he'd talk to her first. If he thinks the only way to get her out of harms way is to get you to break up with her, then he obviously thinks there's no other option. But then again, I don't know her, and I don't really know Giles either. From what I've seen, he looks like a good guy. Not the kind of man who would plot to hurt people for his own personal reasons. But I could be wrong. Do you think Buffy would listen to you if you if you discussed this together?"

Spike took a sip of his cold instant coffee and grimaced in disgust, then carefully put the plastic cup back on his tray. He knew from experience what the answer to that question was, but wasn't sure if he wanted to say it out loud.

He'd discussed it with Buffy before. Had been quite vehement in making her understand that she had to stay away from Angel and Darla and give up the ridiculous idea that she could get him out of jail. Obviously, she hadn't listened and nothing indicated that she would listen now.

The sounds of the cafeteria were a muffled buzz in his ears and his heart was beating wildly as he came to the conclusion that maybe he had no other option.

"No, she wouldn't."

"And... Are you willing to pretend you don't know what's going on and just cross your fingers hoping she won't get herself killed?" Charles asked hesitantly, hoping Spike's head wouldn't explode.

There was a long pause, then Spike slowly shook his head no.

"Then it's up to you, friend. And whatever you decide to do, I hope it's for the best. I'll be there for you either way."

He watched sadly as Spike stood up stiffly and returned his dirty tray without saying another word.

Spike asked permission to return to his cell. He opened the journal Buffy had given him for Christmas, tore a page out, and started writing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was mindlessly going through some legal papers that required her signature. She was staring at the page in front of her blindly, her mind a world away from the office. After her conversation with Spike the day before, she decided that sitting at home moping around wasn't helping any and getting back to work might keep her distracted. Unfortunately, reading boring legal papers wasn't exactly the best source of distraction.

She blinked and looked around, startled when music started playing. It took her a few seconds to realize the source of the sudden noise was the Blackberry in her purse. Not finding the device fast enough in her over-size, over-stuffed bag, she turned it upside down in frustrated anger. She finally put her hand on the phone and answered. But instead of the sexy voice of her boyfriend, the voice was female, high pitched and unpleasant. It took her a moment to figure out who was calling her. Then she remembered giving this number to Darla.

"Hey babe, haven't heard from you since the party, what have you been up to?"

"Nothing much. You? Everything peachy in Darla and Angel land?"

"Sure. Listen," Darla said sharply, obviously not interested in small talk. "You're not still hung up on that little incident with your friend, are you?"

Buffy's eyes narrowed in anger at how casual Darla was being about what almost happened to Willow last weekend, but still managed to chuckle. "Nah. That's just so last week. I'm over it. I don't think Lilian is though."

"Because seriously," Darla continued as if Buffy hadn't answered "I’d like to feel bad about that, but it’s not really my style to waste time feeling guilty. So much to do, so little time.” She laughed, finding herself amusing.

“Don’t sweat it.” Buffy mumbled, trying really hard not to tell the bitch to fuck off.

"But... Although it was greatly entertaining to see you yelling at Angel on the front lawn, I still think I should make it up to you somehow."

“What did you have in mind?”

“A little get together. Nothing big. Just you, your friend, Angel and I. After all, I have to make it up to your friend too. She’s the one who had my pervy little cousin’s hands all over her.” Darla laughed throatily, a sound that seriously grated on Buffy’s nerves.

“I don’t know, Dar. I don’t think Wil.. We.. Uh, I mean I don’t think Lili would be interested.”

“Don’t be such a bore, Anne. At least ask her. Do this for me?” She argued in her annoyingly whiny voice. “I swear Riley won’t come anywhere near the house. He’s stuck on babysitting duty all weekend as his punishment for being such a depraved little fuck.”

Buffy was thinking fast. She wasn’t in the mood for a not so fun night at casa del Angel, but being alone with them could be the opportunity she’d been waiting for.

“Come on, at least ask her.” Darla insisted when Buffy didn’t answer right away.

“All right, I’ll ask. You’re right, it could be fun.” She finally said reluctantly. Of course, Willow wouldn’t want to go anywhere near that house again, but she could go alone. Then she would try manipulating those two losers into giving her the confession she needed.

There was a sharp knock on the door.

“Look, I have to go. There’s someone at the door. But I’ll call you back.”

“Fabulous. I’ll see you this weekend then.”

Buffy hung up, wondering if she’d make the right decision or if it wasn’t a little too soon to go in for the kill.

“Come in.”

Oh well, she’d find out this weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They were standing in front of Buffy’s office door, waiting for her to tell them to come in. Giles had been staring at him and Spike wondered if he would make a comment or not. He didn’t have to wait too long to find out.

“Have you given any thought to what we talked about?”

“Yes.” Spike answered curtly.

“And would that be why you requested to see her then?”

“No.”

“I see you haven’t taken anything I said into consideration and have chosen the selfish option. I’d lie if I’d say I wasn’t disappointed in you.” Giles commented icily.

Spike’s eyes darkened and narrowed into angry slits, jaw clenched, cheeks sucked in. “Mind your own soddin’ business, Rupert. You know nothing of what’s going on in my head and how much this is tearing me up inside. I haven’t made my decision yet, and when I do, it will be between Buffy and I. Don’t get me wrong, I’m grateful for what you’ve done for us, but you’re not my favorite person in the world right now, so sod off.”

“Very well.”

Giles lifted his arm to knock again when the words “Come in” could be heard from inside the office.

He opened the door and made Spike follow him inside.

“Dear Lord, Buffy, what happened to that blasted secretary of yours again?” Giles asked as a way of greeting.

Buffy smiled, but her eyes were trained on Spike. “She was being her good old annoying self, so I told her I had a craving for a venti caramel macchiato extra whip double shot of expresso. Should take about two hours before she realizes there’s no Starbuck in Sunnydale.”

She frowned a little when she realized that only Giles chuckled. Spike stood in silence with barely the shadow of a smile on his lips. She would have though he’d find her antics amusing, but figured he must be in a bad mood and shrugged it off.

When Giles didn’t leave the room right away, she raised a questioning eyebrow. “Would you mind... Giving us some time alone?”

“Oh. Yes, of course. I’ll be back in fifteen minutes if that’s all right.”

Buffy stood up and came to stand in front of her desk. “Thanks Giles.”

He unlocked Spike’s handcuffs and walked out without another word.

As soon as he was out of the office, Spike quickly walked up to Buffy and pulled her into his arms. “Are you all right, luv?”

“I am... but I won’t be for long if you don’t let me breathe.”

Spike pulled away, looking slightly embarrassed. “Sorry.”

She smiled at him. “What’s up with you?”

He sat in the leather chair in front of her desk and pulled her onto his lap, wrapping his arms around her. “Nothing. I missed you, is all. I was so worried about you after our talk yesterday that I couldn‘t sleep last night.”

"You're own damn fault, you big dummie."

Spike opened his mouth in surprise, but then shut it when he couldn't find anything to say to that.

"Don't look at me like that. I told you not to worry, and you did it anyway. So... Your fault."

She smiled bravely at him, unwilling to let him see that he had reasons to worry. No, she wasn’t fine. Not yet, and probably not for a while. But right now, she wanted to pretend. Pretend that nothing happened and everything was as it was a week ago. She’d tried crying, she’d tried moping, she’d tried staring at the ceiling for hours on end, now, she wanted to give denial a try too.

“So, you’re all right then?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Second time you ask me in three minutes and yes, I’m fine. I swear, if I hear that question again, I’m gonna scream. Between Giles, Dawn, Faith and you, I probably heard it around 356 times in five days.”

“You’re keeping count?”

“More like a vague estimation. But still, I’ve been asked that question a LOT. Believe me. And I don’t see why people keep asking since my answer is the same every time. I am fine.”

“Maybe people keep asking because they know that’s a lie.”

“Doesn’t matter. It’s still the answer they’re gonna get, so why bother?”

“Because we love you and worry about you.”

She sighed and looked down, one of her hands idly caressing his hard chest. “I’m sorry. I know I’m being a bitch and you’re just concerned about me. But I just really don’t want to talk about it right now. I came to work to keep my mind off of it. Can you please let me be denial girl for a little while? Please?”

“Anything for you, luv. If that’s what you need right now, then let’s drop the subject.”

“Thank you.”

She smiled gratefully and pressed her soft lips against his. She kissed him slowly, tasting him and caressing him with her warm tongue.

Truth be told, he needed distracting just as much. He was haunted by Giles and Gunn’s words and at the moment, all he wanted was to focus on the feel of his girl in his arms. Those fifteen minutes they had together might be the last depending on how it went. He hadn’t made up his mind yet and this could go one way or another. No. Not thinking about that now.

He returned the kiss, exploring her mouth as if it was their very first time. Taking in her scent, memorizing the feel of her body against his. God he didn’t want to lose this woman. She was his world and without her, he had nothing.

Spike felt Buffy move against him. She twisted in his lap to face him more completely, putting a knee on each side of him. Her skirt rode up around her hips and he could feel her warmth through the harsh cotton of his uniform. His cock jumped to life at the first contact, demanding attention. Buffy instinctively reached down between them to caress him, her lips never losing contact with his.

Spike pulled away just enough to be able to speak. “I love you.” He said while looking intently into her eyes. “You know that, right?”

“Of course I do. I love you too, Spike.”

He smiled, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Good. I just needed to make sure that you knew.”

He pulled her back against him, holding her so close that she could barely move. They made out like teenagers for a while, hands exploring, lips tasting every inch of skin they could find while still clothed. Spike was getting painfully hard with Buffy shifting her hips rhythmically against his hard on, but when he tried to push her skirt higher and tug at her panties, she suddenly froze.

“What’s wrong, kitten?”

“Oh God, Spike... I’m sorry.” She mumbled, blushing bright red.

“What?”

She hung her head in embarrassment. “You’re gonna think I’m the worse cock tease ever.”

He gave her a puzzled look. “Why would you say that?”

“I almost forgot that I...” She looked away, her good mood evaporating instantly. It seemed that every time she tried to forget about the miscarriage for a few minutes, it found ways to remind her. “The doctor said I should avoid sex for a least a week, or until I stop bleeding. I haven’t yet. Stopped bleeding I mean.” She said, so low that he had to get closer to hear her.

Spike tenderly pushed her golden hair away from her face, then ran gentle finger tips along the curve of her cheek. “It’s all right, kitten. Come here.”

He pulled her back into his arms and she rested her head against his shoulder.

“We don’t need to do anything. I’m satisfied just sitting here with you for a while.”

“Thank you.”

They stayed quiet for a long time, Spike rubbing soothing circles on her back. He was hesitant to break the silence, but he knew there wasn’t much time left, so he gathered his courage and finally spoke up.

"Being with me… it’s caused you so many problems and turned your life upside down. I‘m sorry things got some complicated and you always seem to be the one paying the price."

"Don’t say that. Being with you is the best thing that ever happened to me. I feel alive for the first time of my life." "Buffy... luv, I need to know something."

"Anything. Ask away."

Spike hesitated. He needed to ask but was afraid of the answer and the conversation that would follow. But he had to know. "When I told you I didn't want you to have anything to do with Angel and Darla, did you listen to me? Did you give up trying to get me out of here?"

Buffy was at a loss for words. It didn't matter which answer she gave him, she'd be in trouble either way. If she told him the truth, that she was still working on it and had in fact been in contact with the murderers, he would flip out on her because she didn't listen to him. And if she lied and told him she didn't, then he'd probably be hurt that she'd give up on him so easily. God she always hated that stupid catch 22.

"I... You..." She sighed, angry at herself for stuttering like an idiot. "You told me not to, so I didn't." She hated herself for lying to him, but didn't see what choice she had.

He nodded briefly, looking away. How could she lie to him like that?

Buffy misinterpreted the hurt look in his eyes.

"I didn't give up on you, Spike. I'm just trying to find other ways to get you out. It might take longer, but it will happen."

"Don't you worry about it, pet." Spike said, trying to keep his voice as neutral as possible. "I was just asking to make sure you're not doing anything foolish. I know we’ve talked about this before, it’s been bothering me lately. I don't want you to get hurt, is all."

"I'm being a good girl, promise."

She planted a quick affectionate kiss on his nose, but nearly growled in annoyance when the phone rang. With one arm around Spike's neck, she reached as far as she could to pick it up. The flashing red light indicated the call was coming from her secretary's desk.

"Yes?"

"Boss, it's me, Harmony."

Buffy grimaced and rolled her eyes. Seriously, who else could it be? She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Yes Harmony, what is it?"

"Mr. Giles is standing here, depressingly bad moody as usual. He says he's here to pick up a prisoner. I didn't know you had a prisoner in there. Isn't it dangerous to be all alone with..."

"Send him in, Harmony." Buffy snapped, harshly interrupting her meddlesome secretary before hanging up on her.

"I seriously need to find a new secretary." She commented, even though she didn‘t really mean it. Despite everything, Harmony was entertaining.

Spike gave her a 'ya think?' look and Buffy chuckled. She reluctantly disentangled herself from him and stood up.

“Time to go then.” Spike mumbled darkly.

“Don’t be all sulky and pouty. I’ll try to see you more often from now on, promise. Well, as often as we can see each other without getting caught anyway. But you know what I mean.”

She smoothed down her slightly wrinkled skirt and while looking down, completely missed Spike discretely slipping a neatly folded piece of paper on her desk.

She looked up at him and smiled. “Can I get one last kiss, lover?”

She had no idea how ironic those words were. He gave her a bruising, desperate kiss that left her breathless, then turned around just as Giles walked in. He let the guard put the handcuffs around his wrists then walked out quickly without looking back.

It took Buffy a few seconds to realize that Harmony was standing in the door way, looking slightly sheepish.

“What is it, Harmony?”

“I drove for like, a really long time to find the Starbucks. Then, this really nice man at a gas station told me where to go. I think he was looking down my shirt while talking to me, but who could blame him, right? I got really nice breasts. And this push up bra I bought last week makes them all perky so I didn’t get mad. Besides, he was helping me, you know? I bought it at Victoria‘s secret. You should buy one. It would do wonders for you...”

Buffy was staring at the blonde woman with wide eyes. “Oh my God, Harmony... The point!”

“My point is that I finally found it. I don’t think I was in Sunnydale anymore though. Not sure...” Seeing the look on her boss’s face, she quickly finished her story. “But then, I couldn’t remember... Was it a vanilla soy latte or a green tea frappuccino? Or maybe a double moca? Why do they have that much choice anyway? What’s wrong with normal coffee? So anyway... I came back right away to ask you what it was you wanted.”

Buffy groaned in pain, her hands going to her temples where a tension headache was starting to form.

“And don’t you have a cell phone? You know, that pink sparkly thing that plays ‘Baby one more time’ every time it rings?” She asked her airhead secretary flippantly.

“Oh. Right. I could have called I guess.” The blonde ditz giggled.

“That’s all right, Harm. Forget about the coffee, just get back to work.”

“I’m on it, boss!” She answered perkily before leaving the office in a twirl of pink skirt.

Buffy went to sit behind her desk, ready to get back to work, when she spotted the piece of paper with her name on it. She frowned, wondering where it came from, then picked it up and unfolded it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two British men walked in tense silence. As they turned the corner, Spike started dragging his feet. His bound hands were shaking and his heart hammering in his chest as he slowly realized what he’d just done. He came to a complete stop, the guard nearly bumping into him.

“What in the world are you’re doing? Keep walking.” Giles said, clearly annoyed.

Spike turned to face him and Giles frowned when he noticed how pale the prisoner was.

“Spike, what is going on? Are you ill?”

“What have I done?”

“Would you care to explain yourself? I’m afraid I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Giles asked, confused by the look of pure panic in the other man’s eyes.

“I need to go back.”

Giles raised a hand to stop the prisoner from going back. “That’s quite enough, Spike. You will tell me what’s going on right now because I just about ran out of patience.”

“It’s all your fault you bloody pillock!” Spike snarled. “Why the bleeding hell did I ever listen to you? Buffy will be devastated. I need to go back before she reads the letter.”

Realization finally dawned on Giles and his eyes widened with understanding. “You did it? You broke things off with her?”

“I shouldn’t have done it. It was a mistake.”

Then something clicked in Giles’s head. “You broke up with her in a letter?” He asked in disbelief. “Dear lord! And you call me a pillock?”

“Do you seriously think I would have been able to go through with it while looking at her?” It was Spike’s turn to look at Giles as if he’d grown a second head.

“Fair enough. What made you change your mind? I thought you said you hadn’t reached a decision yet?”

“She lied to me. I asked her if she made contact with Angel and she said no. Made me realize you were right and nothing I said would stop her. I had the letter in my pocket when you took me to her office, I just hadn’t decided if I was going to give it to her or not.”

“You did the right thing.”

“Are you out of your bleeding mind?! It was the stupidest thing I’ve ever done. Take me back. I can’t do this to her. Not now after what she‘s been through this week. Bloody heartless, is what it is.”

“No William. You did what you had to do. It’s for the best. I know you don’t see it now, but you will eventually. And so will she.”

Spike laughed almost hysterically, the sound quickly turning into a choked sob. He leaned against the wall for support, eyes shut tightly, his face a mask of anguish. He raised his bound hands to his face to hide his tears.

Giles looked away, unable to bear the sight of the broken man. He hated to admit it even to himself, but maybe his advice hadn’t been as wise as he’d originally thought. But if in the end, it saved Buffy’s life, it would be worth feeling guilty for a little while.

“I’m sorry, William. I sincerely am.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy,

If you’re reading this, it’s most likely because I was too much of a coward to do this while looking into your eyes. I love you. I love you more than you’ll ever know. I know you might doubt it after you finish reading this letter, but I can only hope that some day, you’ll understand.

It’s because I love you so much that I have to let you go. God, I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. But one of us has to do it. I have to be the strong one because I don’t think you’ll ever end our relationship yourself. You have to believe that this is killing me. The only moments of happiness I’ve experience over the past couple of years have been in the last few months with you and to not have you in my life anymore is like condemning myself to Hell. But I’ve seen what being with me has done to you and that’s why it has to stop. I’m holding you back and I’m starting to hate myself for it. You deserve so much more, luv. You have your entire life in front of you, with many chances of being happy. Chances you will pass by if I stay in your life. I don’t want you to spend the rest of your life trying to find a way to get me out of prison. It’s a nice dream, but it’s a dream that will never come true. And if the wrong people find out what you’re trying to do, you could end up dead.

You need to move on. Start living in the real world again. I can’t keep you in the dark with me no matter how much I want to. It will hurt for a while, but even the worst pain dulls with time. And some day, as much as it hurts me to say this, you’ll fall in love again with someone who can give you the life you deserve.

Please, Buffy, please don’t hate me. I’m begging you. I couldn’t live knowing that you hate me. But this had to be done before my love for you completely destroys your life. You probably think I’m a right bloody bastard to be doing this in a letter instead of facing you, but I wasn’t strong enough. Forgive me.

I love you. So much, you’ll never know.

William

Her face void of any emotion, Buffy folded the letter the way she found it, put it into her purse, stood up stiffly and left the office without a word to anybody. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the name of love, or justice? by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 52: In the name of love, or justice?

The atmosphere in Buffy's basement was agitated, to put it mildly. Four women sitting on the floor around a pitcher of Margaritas, talking all at once. When one of their own gets scorned, it is a well known fact that women gather and claws come out.

Buffy had come home to find Cordelia sitting at the kitchen table, happily chatting with Dawn. And even though she hadn't seen her friend in a long time, she'd been annoyed, wanting nothing more than being left alone to wallow in her own misery. But after consideration, she was kinda glad she had someone to talk to. Her first words had been hesitant because she had every reason to expect Cordelia to snicker and say "I told you so". But the brunette's silence had encouraged her to open up. Right away, Dawn took things into her own hands. She almost dragged the two women downstairs and made them sit down while she prepared drinks for everybody. Like she said, nothing better than margaritas to temporarily numb heartaches.

Buffy was already slightly inebriated when Faith showed up unannounced. She'd stopped by to check on Buffy, but got more than she bargained for. The latest addition to their circle of man-bashing was welcomed with open arms, and barely had time to sit down before a salt rimmed glass full of tasty goodness was put in front of her. Having had very few female friends in her life, Faith wasn't big on girls' night, but hey, free booze. Who was she to refuse that?

“Damn B, little sis has some secret bartending skills I wasn’t aware of. I bet ya she’s Miss Popularity in college.”

Dawn smiled proudly. “Believe it or not, I had no idea how to make a margarita until a few months ago. God bless UCLA.”

“Amen to that kiddo.”

With slightly slurred speech, Buffy repeated her story for Faith's benefit, obviously happy to have a pair of fresh ears to listen to her. Dawn and Cordelia had already heard the story three times and there were just so many times you could repeat "Men suck. Poor Buffy." while shaking your head sympathetically.

"Can you believe it? Can you believe he actually did that? Men are evil and stupid. After that, people ask me why I spent my life avoiding falling in love. That's why! God I should have known better than trusting a man not to break my heart."

Buffy continued ranting almost incoherently, not noticing that the three other girls were lost in their own thoughts. Cordelia was biting her lip to stop herself from saying the words that had been burning her tongue, Faith was silent, her gaze focused intently on her drink, and Dawn was looking down to hide the beginning of tears.

Buffy finally noticed the look on Cordelia's face and refocused her angry energy on her best friend. "What? Why are you looking at me like that? Why don't you just come out and say it. I know you're dying to."

"Say what, Buffy?" Cordelia asked, her tone guarded. She knew she was treading in dangerous waters.

"I told you so." Buffy snapped angrily. "Isn't that what you've wanted to say since I walked in earlier?"

Cordy looked down at her perfectly manicured hands, not answering.

"Well?" Buffy insisted. She knew she was looking for a fight, but needed to get her thoughts away from Spike and this was as good a diversion as she could find.

Cordelia finally looked up at Buffy. "You obviously want me to say something you don't want to hear, but fine, I'll say it. I told you so. I knew you were going to get hurt, and you didn't listen to me. Doesn't mean I won't be here for you though. I might be a bitch, but I love you. Sometimes I wonder why, but I can't help myself."

"Geez, thanks Cord." Buffy huffed. But the fight drained right out of her, replaced by tears.

Cordelia stood up and went to sit next to her friend, putting a comforting arm around her frail shoulders.

Dawn was the next to speak up. "I don't believe it."

"Yeah, we've established that already, Dawnie." Cordelia snickered.

"No. I mean, I DON'T believe it. I don't think Spike would do something like that unless he had a good reason. He's not like that."

"And how many times have you met him exactly?" Cordy asked, clearly not trusting the teen's judgment.

"Uh... Twice. And we talked on the phone a couple times." At Cordelia's amused look, Dawn narrowed her eyes and insisted. "I know it's not like we hang out or anything, but he's a good guy. I just know it. He wouldn't do that without a reason."

Buffy sniffled. "Didn't we decide this was a ‘Spike sucks’ party? I'm not exactly in the mood to listen to you praise him after he just broke up with me."

"Buffy, I know you're hurt and angry right now, and don't feel like being rational, but think about it." Dawn pleaded with her angry sister, unwilling to give up her faith in Spike just yet. She liked him the minute she met him, and didn't want to admit she might have miss judged him.

"Can I see that letter, B?" Faith said, finally breaking her silence.

"What?" Buffy gave her friend a disbelieving look. "No. It's personal."

"Come on, give me that letter. I'd like to make up my own mind if it‘s OK with you. I happen to agree with College Girl and have a hard time believing Spike would go from being all starry eyed whenever your name is mentioned, to breaking things off with you just like that." Seeing Cordelia open her mouth to argue, Faith shut her up. "And I would know because I see him every day."

Cordelia glared, but didn't say anything.

Buffy reluctantly pulled the abused sheet of paper from her jeans pocket and handed it to Faith.

Faith read the letter carefully twice before looking up. She let out an unladylike snort. "This has got to be the best break up letter I've ever read. Personally, all I ever get are answering machine break ups, or better, I get home and all my guy's stuff is gone... along with half of my stuff. At least this is classy."

"Faith..." Buffy almost growled.

"Sorry B. Here," She pointed at a sentence on the paper. "And if the wrong people find out what you’re trying to do, you could end up dead. " She read aloud.

"I've read it already. But thank you for the reminder though." Buffy snapped.

"Don't you get it? This is the main point of the letter. Obviously, your hunk of a boy toy found out somehow about your little plan and thinks dumping you will keep you from going through with it."

This got Buffy's attention, but she didn't want to excuse Spike so quickly. "That's not possible. At best, he has suspicions. He could have just talked to me about it."

"You mean he never asked you about it?" Dawn asked curiously.

"Well... yeah. But I lied so he really shouldn't have anything to worry about."

"You lied? What did you tell him?" Faith asked.

"He asked if I was still trying to get him out of jail. I said no. So... See? This break up letter isn't justified."

"What if someone told him the truth about you hanging out with Angel?" Dawn pondered. "Then if you lied, he knew you were lying and could have jumped to the conclusion that the only way to make you stop was to break up with you."

"Nope. That's not possible. No one who knows about this has access to Spike. Unless you, or Faith, told him? You didn't, did you?" She looked suspiciously between her sister and Faith.

The both shook their heads.

"See? It's not possible that he knows."

"What about Giles?" Faith asked.

"Giles doesn't know anything about Angel and Darla."

"Uh..." Dawn looked like a dear caught in the headlight.

"What do you mean, uh?" Buffy asked her sister, a dangerous edge to her voice.

"Well... I uh... thought Giles knew, so I talked to him about it last Monday when he was here."

"You did what?!" Buffy exclaimed, clearly not happy with was she was hearing.

"Hey! Don't blame me. How the hell am I supposed to keep up with who knows what? If you wanted to make sure I didn't say the wrong thing to the wrong people, you should have made me a freakin' list!"

Buffy shook her head in denial, still not believing it. "It doesn't matter. Giles wouldn't... Would he?"

Faith shook the letter emphatically. "Pretty damn sure he did."

Buffy's eyes widened. "Well son of a... "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike sat in the busy computer room with a lump in his throat. All around him, the other prisoners were enjoying their short time of cyber freedom rowdily, making comments about 'stupid bitches' who flirted with them having no idea they were convicts. But this was the usual atmosphere in there and Spike was too upset to pay any attention to his fellow inmates' antics. He hadn't slept all night, only getting a few minutes of rest here and there, but always waking up in a cold sweat after vivid nightmares of Angel raping and killing Buffy.

It was still early in the morning, but he would have expected to have heard from her already. A phone call filled with righteous anger, tears and questions. But nothing. It was driving him out of his bleedin' mind. He logged into his email account, typing his pass word with shaky fingers. She was probably taking time to calm down before contacting him and demanding further explanation as of why he'd done what he did.

But there it was. Email from Anne_pet. He looked twice to make sure it was a new email. It was. It took him a good five minutes to find the courage to click on 'read' but he finally did, all the while dreading what he would read.


Spike,

Good one. I have to say I wasn't expecting this. But if you think it's going to stop me from getting you out of there, you're more stupid than I thought you were. I'm not doing it because I love you, I'm doing it because it's the right thing to do. And even if I was doing it out of love for you, breaking up with me doesn't make me love you any less. It makes me angry as all hell, I'll admit that much, but I know what prompted you to give me that letter. I know you're scared for me. And despite the fact that breaking up with me now just after I've already been through so much is a cruel thing to do, I forgive you.

But you failed. I'm still doing this.

Regards,
Anne


He stood up quickly, making his chair crash noisily to the ground and drawing attention to him. But he didn't even notice. He quickly hit print, pocketed the email and ran out of the room under the curious stares of the other prisoners.

Spike burst into the main room like a man followed by the devil. He went straight to the two guards chatting in a corner, coming at them so fast that they instinctively assumed a defensive stance, thinking he intended to attack them.

"Where's Giles?" Spike asked abruptly.

In an identical reaction that could have been almost comical, the two guards blinked without answering, the question taking them by surprise.

"Where is he? I need to see him right the bloody hell now!" Spike almost yelled in his agitation.

They both snickered in amusement before one of them answered. "Aww, do we have a little crush on a fellow Brit, Spikey? How cute, he's possessive. Needs to know where Giles is. Tell you what buddy, I'll make sure to let him know you miss him."

Spike's fist made contact with the guard's face before he even had time to realize what he was doing.

In a matter of seconds, he was on the ground, one guard smashing his face against the floor, the other one handcuffing him, his knee digging painfully in Spike's lower back. They hauled him to his feet.

"You're in deep shit, man." The guard Spike had hit spat, his eyes narrowing in fury.

They motioned to the other guard in the room to let him know they were leaving, then pushed Spike through the door.

Knowing what was coming, Spike panicked. He couldn't afford to spend the weekend in isolation. He had to talk to Buffy now. He started digging his heels in.

"Soddin' hell!" He yelled in frustration. "All I bloody well wanted was to speak to Giles!" He calmed himself down when he noticed one of the guards pulling his nightstick out of its holster, ready to strike. "Listen, mate, 'm sorry I hit you, but couldn't you just have answered the soddin' question?"

Spike was hit in the back, hard, and fell to his knees.

"I decide which question I feel like answering, you worthless piece of shit. I won't let some smart ass criminal think he matters enough to be answered, got it? So shut your fucking mouth and walk."

"Care to explain what's going on here?" Giles said after rounding the corner, his timing impeccable.

Spike looked up from where he was still kneeling on the floor. He could have cried in relief at seeing Giles there.

"This fucker hit me in the face, sir."

"Do watch your language, Robert. Working around prisoners doesn't mean you have to sound like them. Why did he hit you?"

"I don't know sir. Totally unprovoked, if you ask me. Stan and I were talking, minding our own business, when Rayne got in my face. His fist came out of nowhere."

By the look on Stan's face, Giles knew Robert was lying and he'd probably said something to push Spike to hit him.

"Fine. You two just go back to your assignments, I'll take him to isolation."

"But sir..." Stan started arguing.

"I said, go back. You have a job to do and it does not involve spending time in isolation punching and kicking a prisoner, no matter how much amusement this might be to you."

"All right sir."

Robert gave Spike a nasty look before turning on his heels, quickly followed by Stan.

"Stand up." Giles said harshly.

"Rupert..."

"What went through that thick skull of yours, I wonder. What is it, William? You're upset so now you have to walk around punching people in the face? Do you think that having to send you to isolation for a week or two is going to make it easier on Buffy? How do you think she will feel? Did you even think about it? Of course you didn't."

"Will you stop talking for one bleeding minute and listen to me? It didn't work!"

"Of course it will. As soon as she finds out what you did..."

"Your bloody idiotic plan, you wanker! It didn't work. That's why I was looking for you and that's why I got into a fight with those pillocks."

"What are you talking about, Spike?"

Spike pulled out the printed email and shoved it under Giles' nose.

"The daft bint is going to do it anyway. That's what I mean."

Giles took the paper from Spike and quickly read the content.

"I need to see her now." Spike continued, agitated.

The guard looked up from the paper. "Today is Saturday, Spike. She's not here. Won't be here until Monday. You know that."

"Soddin' Hell!"

Giles removed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I wonder how she found out that you knew... Dear Lord, she probably figured out that I'm the one who told you."

Spike found some humor in that. He snickered. "Yeah, and knowing Buffy, there'll be Hell to pay. She's gonna be right brassed off."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there, now won't we? Until then, you're right, you have to speak to her. Come on."

"Where are you taking me? It's not like you can break me out of here and take me to her place. If it was that easy, she'd have done it instead of messing around with Angel."

"No, but you will call her. I'm taking you to my office so you can have some privacy. It wouldn't do for another guard to over hear your conversation."

Giles led Spike to his office and shut the door behind them.

"Here. The phone is over there on my desk."

"Yeah, I can see that. I've seen phones before, mate." Spike snapped. "But thanks for pointing out the obvious."

Giles sighed and shook his head, but refrained from commenting. The prisoner was obviously on edge; no need to start an argument.

Spike picked up the phone and dialed the familiar number. After a few rings, a groggy voice answered.

"This better be good, Giles. I'm not in the most fabulous mood right now."

"Buffy."

The silence on the other end of the line was deafening.

"Buffy, are you still there?"

"Yes. How are you calling from Giles' phone? Did you break into his office or something?" Her voice couldn't have been colder.

"He's the one who took me here to call you. Thought we needed to talk in private. First good idea the wanker has in forever."

"Oh." Was Buffy's only answer.

"I got your email."

"Yeah. I figured that's why you're calling."

"Look, I know you're mad at me and all, but you're not making this conversation easy, pet."

"And what exactly do you want me to say, Spike. Why don't you tell me exactly how I could make this easier for you? Enlighten me. Because you certainly haven't made anything easy for me, have you?"

"I'm sorry, OK? You have no idea how sorry I am. But at the time, I thought it was a good idea."

"Well you didn't think hard enough, apparently."

"Never said I was much of a thinker, pet."

"Didn't think you were an idiot either. But obviously I was wrong if you thought your little plan would work. You really pissed me off, William. And by the way, why don't you tell your buddy Giles that he's on my black list too. I trusted you. The two of you."

"And we both deserve that, don't worry, I know." He gave Giles a meaningful glance. "Buffy, we could talk about how wrong I was and how much I hurt you for the next two hours, but that's not why I called. I don't know what you have planned exactly, but don't do it."

"I'm a big girl, Spike. I make my own decisions. I can take care of myself... have for twenty seven years now. But thanks for caring."

"I thought breaking up with you would be enough to make you snap out of whatever super hero fantasy you've got going on. Don't you get that I did this because I love you and I'm scared for you?" Spike pleaded, desperate to find the right thing to say to change her mind.

"Oh cut the crap, Spike." The cool detachment was now gone from Buffy's voice, replaced by seething anger. "How could you think for one minute that breaking my heart would be enough to make me change my mind about all this? What? You thought I'd just go 'Oh well' and then sit on my couch and watch ‘Sex and the City’ reruns? Then you don't know me at all."

"You're wrong. I know you. That's why I'm scared out of my bloody mind. You're the most stubborn chit I've ever met and I know that if you have it in that pretty little head of yours that justice must be done, then no one will be able to talk you out of it. That's why I didn't even try. I was going to, but then you lied to me about it and it made me realize that I had to take drastic measures to get through to you. That one blew up in my face spectacularly.”

“So if you think talking me out of it isn’t an option, and breaking up with me didn’t work either, why are we having this conversation?” She asked sarcastically.

“Because I have to try. Don’t you get it? He. Will. Kill. YOU. Or worse. God knows what that wanker and his bitch would do to you if they have even the tiniest little doubt that you may be on to them.”

“That’s why I won’t let them find out. What do you think, I’m stupid or something?”

“I don’t think you’re stupid, but I do think you’re seriously underestimating how brilliant they are when it comes to evil. They hide it well under that redneck exterior, but they are smart.”

“I’m smarter.”

“Buffy, please...”

“No, Spike. Enough, OK? Nothing will happen to me.”

“Really? What makes you so sure of that, pet? I don’t think Drusilla thought something would happen to her, and yet, she got killed.”

“The difference between Drusilla and I is that I know how far they could go. I know they’re psychotic murderers. She didn’t. Don’t you think I’d get the Hell out of there the second I suspect they might be on to me? I don’t have a death wish, no matter what you seem to think. Dying is not part of my plans. Besides, I’m not going in there without back up.”

“Back up? What kind of back up?” He asked, his curiosity piqued.

Buffy's tone softened considerably. “The PI I hired and his cop friend are in on the plan. They won't let anything happen to me. They will be right outside in case of trouble.”

“I... wasn't aware of that.”

“You would if you had asked me.”

“I’ll give you that one. But if you’re wrong and something does happen to you, do you have any idea what it would do to me? Knowing that you died because of me? I don’t think I could ever get over that.”

“I know. That’s why I won’t take any stupid risks. Spike, I promise you I’ll be careful. I’ll come back in one piece. Maybe you wouldn’t be able to live with yourself if something happens to me, but I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I don’t at least try. Can you understand that? I love you. Is it so hard to understand?”

“I love you too, Buffy. There’s nothing I can do or say to convince you not to do this, is there?”

“Nope.”

“God, luv, this is killing me.”

“Yes, but you’ll forget all about it when your stubborn warden with a super hero complex gets you out of prison.”

They both chuckled at that.

“Uh... Spike?”

“Yeah?”

“Are we still... broken up?” She asked, hope and insecurity clear in her voice.

He didn't have to pause to think about it. “The point was to stop you from doing something stupid, and you’re gonna bloody well do it anyway, so I’m thinking no. Unless you think it would be better if we were..?”

“That would be a big fat no.”

“Good.”

“I’m still majorly pissed at you though so don’t think you’re getting off that easy. You will have a lot of groveling to do.”

“Don't worry, kitten, I’m ready and willing to grovel as much as needed.”

“All right. I’ve got to go now. But I promise I’ll be back in one big Buffy shaped piece on Monday. We’ll talk more then.”

“OK. Be careful. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

Giles watched Spike hang up the phone with a disbelieving look on his face.

“That’s it?! You call her to try to make her change her mind, and you’re the one to change your mind?”

“I didn’t change my mind about how stupid and dangerous what she wants to do is, but I accepted that there was no changing her mind.”

“You gave up ridiculously easily.”

“Hey, you were not the one talking to her. She’s like a brick wall. If you don‘t believe me and you think you can do better, you‘re more than welcome to pick up the damn phone and call her yourself.”

“Maybe I will.”

Spike chuckled. “Good luck with that. She’ll eat you alive, Rups. She’s still pretty mad at you old man.”

Giles blanched slightly at the idea of facing Buffy’s wrath. “Let’s get you back to your cell, shall we?”

Spike grinned. “Well aren’t we easily scared.”

“Oh do shut up, Spike.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bad man by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I know you guys have all been waiting a long time for this chapter, so please let me know what you think. I really hope you enjoy it and the only way for me to know if you do is by reading your reviews. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 53: Bad man

The antique dresser in her bedroom was Buffy's favorite piece of furniture. It was beautifully hand carved with gold accents and gave the room a touch of warmth while complementing the rest of her decor perfectly.. Buffy inherited it from her grandmother and she cherished it. She had adored her grandmother and the old woman returned the sentiment just as fervently. Just like Buffy, she had been a strong minded and passionate woman. Now, this was all she had left of the old woman. Sitting in front of the dresser, Buffy concentrated on her image in the mirror, skillfully applying the last touch to her make up. She put down the brush and admired the result. A little heavy, a little slutty, but flawless. She smiled at herself and stood up. Black, pointy stilettos, short black leather skirt and silver backless halter top. With her hair loose on her shoulder, she knew she was hot enough to crack even the most evil murderers. Or get killed. Whatever.

Buffy was making her way to the living room when someone knocked on the door. She went to open the door, hoping that it wasn't Cordelia coming back for a hundredth attempt at making her change her mind. She had sent Cordy, Dawn and Faith on their way the night before, after her epiphany, but Cordy hadn't been happy about the turn of events at all. She tried again and again to talk some sense into Buffy. The only reason she gave up was because she was tired and had a long drive to L.A. Maybe now that she was well rested, she decided to drive back to keep trying.

"Buffy, hi!"

"Willow?" Buffy stepped aside to let the red head walk in, all the while taking in her appearance with a stunned look. "What are you doing here? Dressed like... that?"

Willow looked fabulous. She had pinned her short red hair on the side of her head, wispy strands sweeping across her forehead. Her eye make up was minimal, contrasting with her dark, dramatic lipstick. She was wearing a short, skin tight green dress and peep toe black pumps.

Willow had a sheepish look on her face and bit her lower lip, not answering.

"Well?" Buffy prompted. "What are you doing here all dressed up? Don't tell me you actually want to come with me..."

"When you called earlier to tell me that Darla invited me too, and how psycho she was to think I'd even consider going back there... I laughed along with you. And yes, I did think it was crazy--at first. But after I hung up, I was thinking about it, and, I think I could help."

"What?! NO. Noooo way." Buffy shook her head emphatically. "You are not going anywhere near that house, Will. It's my fight. I'm the one taking the risk and I'm not dragging you into this. Not after what happened last time."

"Think about it, Buffy. It would be much safer if there's two of us. And I could provide diversion. We decide which one of them is drunker and more likely to spill, then I distract the other one. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?"

"Nah ah. I don't think so." Buffy crossed her arms, not willing to give an inch.

Unfortunately, Willow wasn't willing to back down either in this battle of wills.

"See this?" She pointed at her face. "Resolve face. Don't even try, no one has ever been able to resist it."

"You know, Spike thinks I'm the most stubborn woman in the world. He obviously doesn't know you well enough yet."

"Is that a yes, then?" Willow asked hopefully.

Buffy sighed, then agreed reluctantly. "Fine. But don't blame me if something happens."

She picked up her purse and hooked her arm with Willow's. "Ready?"

"Yeppers. Let's get this show on the road."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "That is so cliché."

Willow laughed and they walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two women made their way to a car parked at the corner of Main and Aurelius, high heels clacking noisily on the empty street. The inside of the car was dark, but two figures could be seen in the shadows if you were looking attentively. The car doors opened almost simultaneously, revealing Wesley and a tall woman with her blonde hair pulled back into a simple ponytail and wearing an outfit that just screamed cop.

“Hey Wesley.”

“Hello, Buffy. Ready to do this?”

“Ready... Such a big word.” Buffy chuckled nervously.

“Buffy, this is my friend Kate Lockley.”

The woman nodded briefly, her face expressionless.

“Hi, pleased to meet you.” Buffy said politely, feeling slightly uneasy in front of the quiet woman.

“Likewise.”

“This is Willow. Willow... Wesley and Kate.”

Willow waved, a shy smile on her lips. “Hi.”

With the pleasantries out of the way, Wesley got down to business. He presented Buffy with a device the size of a pencil eraser.

"What's this?" Buffy asked, frowning at the tiny little thing sitting in the palm of her hand. Willow was looking curiously over her shoulder.

"It's a microphone, isn't it?" Willow asked the PI.

"Indeed, it is. Kate and I will be listening in on what's going on in the house. You hide this somewhere on your person, and we will be able to hear everything you, or anyone around you say. Everything will be recorded."

Buffy started shaking her head skeptically. "Oh, I don't know. Can I trust this thing to work? Shouldn't I have some kind of recording device on me instead? Some good old fashion recorder, you know, with a play button, stop, record..."

Kate and Wesley exchanged an amused look.

"Buffy," Kate explained patiently. "This happens to be the most expensive, most sophisticated piece of equipment you can find. Believe me, it's far more trustworthy than you could imagine."

"Let's give it a try now, shall we?" Wesley suggested.

He sat in the car seat and played for a moment with something Buffy couldn't see before turning back to her. "Why don't you try saying something?"

"Uh... OK. What should I say?"

Wesley smirked and after he pressed a button, Buffy's voice could be heard clearly: "Uh... OK. What should I say?" Buffy and Willow chuckled. "Wow, impressive."

"Where do you buy something like this?" Willow asked curiously. "It would be neat to have. I could find out what my brown nosing secretary says when I'm not around."

Kate smiled at the red head. "Some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me, I'm a woman working in a police station--I know."

Buffy and Willow exchanged a look.

Buffy snorted her amusement. "Yeah, And we're two women working in an all male prison." She pointed out.

"Oh. Right." Kate nodded, her normally expressionless face suddenly sympathetic.

"All right, all right ladies. As fun as this is, I think Angel and Darla are waiting."

"You're right, Wesley. Let's go."

He grabbed Buffy’s arm to stop her walking away. "There's still time to change your mind if you're uneasy about this in any way."

"Not changing my mind, Wesley. Besides, I'm not worried. You got my back, right?"

"Absolutely, Buffy. Good luck and stay safe. If something doesn't feel right, anything, get out of there."

"We will." She turned to her friend. "Come on, Will. Let's do this."

Wesley and Kate watched the two women walk away, then went back in the car to wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her legs tucked to the side, Buffy was pretending to be fascinated by every word coming out of Angel's mouth. It was obvious that the man's biggest weakness was his arrogance. She'd never been in the presence of someone so in love with himself before and it was almost fascinating.

It didn't take too long for Buffy to figure out who was the weakest link between Darla and Angel. Not only was Angel already considerably drunk when the two women showed up a few hours ago, but he was still under Buffy's spell. Not good old every day Buffy. The Buffy he witnessed in the alley a week ago. She apparently had him wrapped around her little finger, and that was definitely something she could work with.

Being the brainy, insightful woman that she was, Willow had noticed as well and was doing her best to distract Darla.

At first, the red head had been a little tense and awkward, but she was now visibly relaxing and getting in the game. It was funny watching her. Buffy couldn't help thinking her friend looked like an evil doppelganger. Or maybe Bizarre-o-world Willow. Even the way she laughed was different. Louder, more confident. Buffy was impressed, and grateful to have her friend with her. She'd been reluctant to see the positive of having Willow there at first, but she now saw the possible benefits. Namely, getting Darla out of the way. She just hoped Willow could do it before Angel passed out drunk.

Trying to pay attention to whatever the hell Angel was going on about, Buffy lost track of what was going on the other side of the living room. Darla had been digging through boxes, getting increasingly frustrated. She finally stood up and kicked one of the boxes, spilling its content on the floor.

Buffy almost jumped out of her skin at the sudden noise. "What's going on?"

Darla turned eyes blazing with anger in her husband's direction. "Did you smoke all the weed, you moron?"

Angel giggled drunkenly, indifferent to his wife's anger. "Yeah. So?"

"I told you I was saving some for tonight. God you're useless!"

And that's when Willow saw her opening. The perfect way of getting Darla away from Buffy and Angel.

"Damn! That really sucks. Your cousin mentioned that you knew where to get the best stuff and I didn't get to try it the other day. Ya know... Because I was busy getting roofied and almost raped. Fun times." She said innocently, hoping to make Darla feel at least a bit guilty so she would accept getting out of the house on a “weed errand”. At this point, she was afraid her only other option to distract the blonde would be to come on to her. So not something she wanted to do.

Darla's face softened a bit. "Oh honey, I told you I'm sorry about that, right? Tonight was supposed to be my way of apologizing and damn it, if I have to go across town to get some weed and make this little get together more fun, I will."

Willow's smile lit up her face. Bingo.

"We could go together." She suggested.

Buffy's disagreement was plain to see on her face, but Willow ignored her.

Darla put her arm around Willow's shoulder. "That's settled then. Let's go."

And without another word, she led the petite red head out of the house. Willow barely had time to look over her shoulder at Buffy and give her a brave smile before the door shut on the two women.

Right away, Buffy leaped into action. She put her hand on Angel's thigh and gave him her sexiest smile. "So, it's just you and me, then."

Angel smirked, a failed attempt at looking dangerous and sexy. "Looks like."

Not wanting to let things get too out of control, Buffy stood up to put some distance between her and Angel.

"Want something to drink?" She asked over her shoulder while walking up to the table where they kept all the booze.

"Double Scotch, neat. I don't like ice diluting my drink."

"Of course."

While serving the drinks, Buffy spotted the perfect way to melt Angel's heart and lower his guard. CDs had been carelessly thrown on the table, the one on top being ‘The best of Manilow’.

"Oh my God, are you a Manilow fan?"

Angel automatically got defensive, his forehead wrinkling into an unattractive scowl. "Yeah... So what? He's very talented."

"I know!" She exclaimed, faking excitement as best she could. "Shit, I love the guy. He's great."

Angel's face lit up like a little boy on Christmas morning.

"Mind if I put it on? Mandy is my all time favorite."

"Damn straight! Mandy's a classic."

Angel started singing a very off key rendition of Mandy, and Buffy joined him.

"Oh Mandy, and you gave and you gave without taking, but I gave you away oh Mandy."

They giggled like teenagers.

Buffy put on the CD, hoping it would shut him up because if she had to listen to him singing for one more minute, she might just have to kill him. Then she went back to sit next to him on the couch.

She indulged Angel for a few moments, remaining silent as he closed his eyes and hummed to the music.

"For our first date, I took Darla to a Manilow concert in Vegas. She worked at a casino there. I had lost all my money at a poker game, but I managed to sneak us in without paying. I think that made the concert even sweeter."

"I bet it did. Free stuff is always better. Why pay when you can get it for free, right?"

"Absolutely, beautiful. I think you and I are a lot alike."

Buffy giggled, hating herself for how stupid she sounded. But it seemed to work because Angel winked at her.

"I'm so glad I met you and Darla. I was starting to think there weren't any interesting people in this town. Everybody is just sooo boring. Church going soccer moms and their boring ass business man husbands. I hated this place until I met you. People I hang out with don't get me."

"Why? Because you're a bad girl?"

"Oh, I'm bad all right. Don't get fooled by that sweet, innocent face."

Angel laughed. "Yeah, I saw that last week. You have balls, girl."

"What about you, Angel. Are you bad?"

"Badder than you could imagine, baby."

Buffy raised a delicate brow, a smirk on her luscious lips. "Really? You don't look so tough to me."

She laughed at the outraged expression on his face.

"Fine. You're tough. Where did you get the nickname? Angel isn't exactly a tough guy's name." She knew she was pushing the limits, but she needed to make him want to prove himself to her and it was the best way she could think of.

"Not all angels are good. The devil is a fallen angel, isn't he?"

"Good point."

"Actually, Darla is the one who came up with the name. She said I have the face of an angel and the heart of the devil. It stuck."

Buffy sat a little closer to him and rested her hand casually on his thigh.

“So... Tell me, Angel, did you ever do anything really bad?" She batted her eyelashes innocently at him. "Like rob a bank or something like that?”

Angel smirked, obviously eager to impress the cute blonde. “Well… Depends what you mean by ‘bad’. Personally, I don’t think it’s bad, more like hilarious.”

“Oh!” She exclaimed excitedly. “What did you do?”

He drank his Scotch in two long swallow and put the glass down on the coffee table. "I don't think I should talk about that. Darla would kill me..."

He was so drunk, his head was bobbing slightly and he couldn’t sit straight. His speech was slurred and he had a stupid lazy smile on his lips. Buffy was afraid he’d fall asleep on her, or start getting incoherent.

She pouted. No man could resist the Summers’ pout. "Oh come on! Sounds exciting and I'm all curious now. She doesn't need to know you told me." Buffy rubbed his thigh suggestively. "It will be our little secret."

Angel's eyes glazed over, a sudden erection tenting his pants.

“All right." He said hesitantly. A part of him knew he should shut up, but he was too drunk, aroused and incredibly arrogant too care. "We used to live with a loser and his junkie girlfriend. He was a pathetic poet wanna be and we got stuck with him for a few years. Well let’s just say his life took an interesting turn about a year or so ago.”

It didn’t seem like Angel would give anymore details so Buffy encouraged him by leaning forward to expose some cleavage and giving him her most dazzling smile. Swallowing down her disgust for the man, she let her hand wander higher on his thigh, lightly grazing the hard bulge in his pants. He shut his eyes for a moment, sighing in contentment.

“What did you do to that loser?” She prompted.

Angel’s eyes were dark with desire when he opened them again, making Buffy shiver involuntarily. “Sent the pathetic boy to jail. That’s what I did.”

“Really? How did you do that? Was he like, a bad guy or something?”

“William?” Angel laughed at the idea. “Lil’ Willy was the biggest sissy boy I’ve ever met. I don’t think Mr. Rayne ever stole a candy bar, or killed a fly, his whole life. Isn’t it ironic that he’s now rotting in jail for the murder of a bitch I shot? Bang! Right through the chest.”

She did her best to look impressed. She had all she needed, but he didn't say the name of the victim and she wasn't sure if it might make the confession useless. "Wow, that takes a lot of guts! You're awesome. Who was she? Why did she live with you guys?"

"Drusilla was entertaining for a while. She was freaky kinky in bed and Darla liked having her around for threesomes. My girl likes diversity. That's why I invited her and her boyfriend to stay here with us. But Dru got clingy. So I killed two birds with one stone. Believe me, the world won't miss a useless junkie like Drusilla Blackwell. And William Rayne in jail was too hilarious a thought to pass."

Buffy desperately wanted to run to the bathroom to empty the content of her stomach. She had to press her hands on her knees to stop them from shaking too much, but she managed to smile brightly at the murderous bastard anyway. “That is so clever! What a loser. I hope we get to do exciting stuff like that together someday. We could be like Bonnie and Clyde, only with two women instead. Wouldn't that be just awesome?”

Angel laughed heartily.

Buffy took her empty glass and pouted prettily. “Aww, looky. No more.”

As expected, Angel got up, swaying on his feet a little. “Let me get you a refill, sweet cheeks.”

He poured her a Vodka tonic and came back to sit next to her.

“Here you go, pretty face. Lots of ice just the way you like it.”

“Thanks. You’re so sweet. I’ll just go to the bathroom for a sec. Ya know… all that alcohol has to come out.” She giggled as stupidly as she could manage, hoping he hadn’t noticed how shaky her voice was.

“Sure thing. But hurry up. I just saw Darla park her car in the driveway. I have fun games planned for the four of us. If you know what I mean. I just hope your friend is up for it.”

Buffy grinned at him. “I'm sure she can be convinced. I can’t wait.”

She walked into the bathroom and locked the door behind her. Then, pulling her cell phone out of her purse, she dialed Wesley's number with trembling fingers. He answered right away. When Buffy heard his voice, all the control she had managed to muster in front of Angel disappeared and she burst into tears.

“Buffy, please calm down. We already called for back up. Kate and I are leaving the car as we speak. We'll be there right away.”

“Did… did you get it? It worked, right? It wasn’t all for nothing? Please tell me it wasn’t all for nothing!”

“Don’t worry. We got everything we need. He’s not going to get away with it.”

Buffy tried to keep her voice down, afraid Angel would hear. She was only now realizing just how dangerous the situation was and exactly why Spike hadn’t wanted her to do this.

“I’m stuck in the bathroom with a murderer in the living room, Wesley. Please, hurry!”

“Try to stay in the bathroom. You should be safe there until we arrive.”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’m going anywhere. Just... Don’t let him escape. There’s a back door to the house.”

“Is he alone right now?”

“No. Darla and Willow just came back a minute ago... Oh my God, Willow!”

Buffy started crying again, scared for her friend. She also worried that she’d already spent too much time in the bathroom and that Angel would come knocking any time now.

“Buffy, you have to calm down. The cops are just around the corner. They’ll be there any time now.”

As Buffy expected, there was a knock on the bathroom door.

“Buffy? It’s Darla. Are you all right in there?”

She took a deep breath before answering, trying to calm her thumping heart. “Yeah. Sorry. I’m just being sick a little. Too much booze.”

“Open the door, I’ll help you.”

“No. It’s ok, Dar. I’ll be out in a minute. I feel better. I just need to wash my face.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. I’m sure.”

“You don’t sound too well.”

“I’m fine. Promise. Give me a sec, I‘ll be right as rain.”

Everything went silent, and Buffy could make out the sound of police sirens coming from outside.

“Buffy? Listen to me.” Wesley said. “If he agrees to go to the station, it will be fine. But there’s a chance he won’t go without a fight. Things could get ugly. I need you to stay in the bathroom until I get you. Understood?”

“I will.” Without another word, she hung up and waited for the proverbial shit to hit the fan.

Suddenly, there was a bang coming from the living room, followed by a loud crack and some shouting. She heard Angel yelling “What the Fuck!?” in the commotion that followed.

She knew she should stay in the bathroom until everything cleared like Wesley said, but she was too curious and she needed to see the man who had sent Spike to jail being taken under custody. She opened the bathroom door, the cell phone still in her hand.

The scene taking place in front of her was chaotic to say the least. Angel was on the ground, face first with two cops trying to immobilize him while another one was reading him his rights. Things wouldn't have gone this far if the man had cooperated, but of course, as soon as he'd seen the cops, he had tried to run to the back door. He hadn't taken more than three steps when one of the cops had tackled him to the floor.

Wesley and Kate were standing to the side, both with their hands on their weapons in case things got even more out of control. Angel was yelling and cursing, bucking up like a mad man to try to get rid of the cop on his back. Somewhere nearby, Darla was shrieking deafeningly. Willow had her back against the wall not too far from where Buffy was standing and was pale as a ghost.

Buffy was in a daze. It seemed like everything was happening in slow motion. She vaguely heard one of the cops asking from where he was standing by the broken front door if she was all right. She nodded, still staring at Angel.

That’s when out of nowhere, Darla rushed her, screaming. No one had noticed her, too busy taking care of Angel.

“You fucking bitch!! You did that! You did that!”

Before anyone could react, Willow instinctively jumped in front of Buffy with no thoughts for her own safety. The pocket knife Darla was holding missed its intended target and imbedded itself in Willow's stomach instead.

In a flash, two of the cops were on Darla, pulling her away from Willow and throwing her to the ground to handcuff her.

Buffy caught her friend in her arms. There was some shouting. She could hear someone calling an ambulance on a radio, but it all seemed to come from far away. All she could see was Willow's pale face.

"Are you OK? Did she get you?" Strangely, the question Buffy should have been asking came from Willow.

Too shocked to say anything, Buffy shook her head.

Willow smiled weakly. "Good."

Then passed out.
Set me free by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I would like to dedicate this chapter to my good friend, Jen. Have a wonderful birthday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 54: Set me free

It was a day like any other day at the Californian prison of Sunnydale. The sun shining bright over the outside world, and the atmosphere as gloomy as ever between the well guarded walls that kept the good citizens safe from society's malevolent rejects. Just an ordinary day for the prisoners, like any other ordinary day. Same time as every morning, the guards announced the opening of the cells. A loud click, the bars automatically sliding open and letting out a flow of grumpy and rowdy men spilling out of their holding quarters.

Just like every morning before, and every morning after for most of them, they made their way to take their daily shower, then invaded the cafeteria one small group at a time to line up and collect a tray full of insipid food.

But for one man, things were about to take a different turn.

Spike was bringing back his empty tray while chatting casually with his friend Charles Gunn when he was approached by Rupert Giles and two other guards. The expression on the three men's faces was unreadable and Spike automatically assumed he was in trouble.

He smirked. "Good morning wankers. Isn't it a little early for me to get myself in trouble? What the bleeding hell did I do this time?"

"William." Giles greeted with a nod. "Would you follow us to your cell, please?"

"And miss 'The View'? I love watching those neurotic birds chatting all at once. Bleedin' entertaining it is."

Giles narrowed his eyes in warning. Even after the new development concerning William, the man could still get on his last nerve.

Spike sighed. "Fine. Gentlemen, lead the way."

The four men made their way to the holding cells. The guards silence and the decorum they were using was starting to make Spike nervous. They stopped in front of the cell he shared with Snyder. Giles opened it and stepped aside.

"William, would you collect your belongings and come with us, please?"

The prisoner was walking into his cell when Giles said the words. He stopped and turned to face the older man, a startled look on his face. "Why? Am I being transferred?”

“In a matter of speaking, yes.” Giles said cryptically, but couldn’t help the smile tugging at his lips.

“Hold on just one bloody minute. Do you mean... Did it work?” Spike asked in awe, not quite wanting to believe what was happening, for fear that he might have misunderstood what was going on.

Giles understood the question and nodded, his smile widening. “I believe it did. Get your things and I’ll explain on the way.”

When Spike stood frozen on the spot, Giles put a gentle hand on his shoulder and urged him to turn around and walk into the cell.

Spike's hands were shaking badly as he gathered his meager belongings, his heart beating wildly in his throat. Even while getting ready to leave the cell he despised with all his soul, he didn't want to let himself believe what was happening. If this wasn't real, it would kill him. A part of him kept expecting the three guards to start laughing and say: "Gotcha!". But it never happened.

He was in and out of the cell in a matter of minutes since almost everything he owned was the things Buffy had given him for Christmas. Spike followed Giles, the two other guards trailing behind them. The silence was slowly driving him out of his mind.

"Rupert? What's going to happen?" He hated how small and insecure his voice sounded. For bloody God's sake, he was Spike... A tough son of a bitch. He shouldn't be so terrified. But what if he had jumped to conclusions too quickly. Maybe he misunderstood and wasn't being liberated. After all, no one had said the words yet.

"I was hoping to tell you this in a more official setting, but I understand it would be cruel to make you wait any longer. Someone else confessed to the murder of the woman you've been accused of killing. You're not free yet, but it's only a matter of technicalities. I have good reason to believe you will be sleeping in a warm, comfortable bed tonight, William."

Giles turned his head to smile brightly at an ashen faced Spike. The prisoner's eyes were glazed and he looked on the verge of hyperventilating.

"Are you quite all right, William?" Giles asked with concern.

Spike nodded numbly.

"Good." Giles resumed the short walk to security where the transport was waiting. "Your lawyer is waiting for us as we speak. She'll be briefing you on all the details."

"I have a lawyer?" Spike asked incredulously.

Giles chuckled. "And a fine one at that. Thanks to her, the process that could have taken weeks will all happen in a matter of hours."

Spike blinked, then shook his head to try clearing his fuzzy mind. "What do you mean?"

"Lilah Morgan is a very influential lawyer working for the best law firm in the country. I don't know what strings she pulled, but she convinced a judge in Los Angeles to clear his schedule for the afternoon and have a hearing with you. I'm hazy on the details, but she will explain it more clearly. The way I understand it is that they already have all they need to incarcerate the real murderer, but they still need your version of what happened again. Then the judge will officially declare you not guilty and someone from the Governor's office with also offer you an official pardon. I believe you might have a very long day ahead of you."

Still speechless, Spike nodded his understanding.

Giles smiled encouragingly at the obviously shocked, soon to be ex-prisoner, then pushed a door open. He thanked the two other guards who walked away without a word, then he ushered Spike inside the room.

Still in a zombie like state, Spike took in his surroundings. It was a fairly large room with doors that led to the inside yard. He could see a transportation van through the windows in the doors. Spike remembered being here once before, the day he'd been brought in. On his left, he could see the guard station through another window. Two guards were in there drinking coffee and chatting away, not paying any attention to what was happening in the room. On Spike's right were a few plastic chairs along the wall. A woman was sitting there. She was dressed in an expensive looking gray suit, pencil skirt, form hugging jacket, classical black pumps, her chestnut hair pulled back in a French twist.

When she saw the guard and the prisoner walk in, she gracefully uncrossed her legs and stood up to greet them. She walked up to Spike with an air of confidence, her hand extended in greeting.

"Mr. Rayne? I'm Lilah Morgan. Nice to meet you."

He shook her hand on autopilot. "Nice to meet you."

Lilah looked him up and down appraisingly, a small smile on her glossy red lips. "And now it all makes sense." She commented, chuckling with amusement.

Spike gave her a slightly puzzled look. "What do you mean?"

She waved her hand dismissively. "Never mind that. Let's get down to business, shall we?"

He took a seat next to the lawyer while Giles busied himself signing transportation forms.

"You're a very lucky man, William." Lilah started saying, obviously not paying attention to how distressed the man sitting next to her was. "I can call you William, right?"

"Uh... Sure."

"I understand this is a touchy subject so let’s call her your 'benefactor', she had me waiting and ready to start the procedures in case this happened. So I called in a few favors. Everything should be over tonight if we're lucky. But I have a good feeling about this. Not only did Liam McAlister confess to the crime, but in his anger, he revealed all the details of the crime during further interrogation at the police station. Honestly, the McAlisters both made things a lot worse for themselves last night. So things should go smoothly today."

When Spike didn't say anything, she continued. "I have to warn you though. We might not see them, but Liam and Darla will be at the court house. Their hearing date is not for a few weeks, but they have procedures to go through today."

Spike finally got his voice back. "Why... Why are they not going to a court house in Sunnydale? Isn't it where they got arrested?"

"I understand you don't want to see them, but the court house in Sunnydale doesn't usually take care of murder cases. Sunnydale is a suburb, high profile cases and complicated murder cases are transferred to Los Angeles."

Spike nodded. "Yeah. Makes sense I guess."

He hesitated so she waited for him to keep talking.

"Can I ask you a question?" He finally asked.

She smiled coolly. "At the rate I charge, you can ask me any question that goes through your mind."

"Why go through all this trouble? Why did you agree to take on my case?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm sure someone as busy as you have much more high profile cases you could be working on."

"A case like yours is the best thing that could happen to me right now. It will do a lot of good for my reputation and for Wolfram & Hart. It's the perfect, touching story that will prove that we don't only take care of rich criminals."

Spike laughed unexpectedly at that. "Glad to see you care so much."

Lilah smiled. "Oh honey, of course I care. I'm paid to care."

Giles walked up to them. "Ready?"

Spike stood up. "Bloody hell, I think I've been ready for almost a year. Let's go."

Giles pulled out a pair of handcuffs. "I'm sorry, it's procedure for transportation. But it should be the last time. I hope you understand."

Spike presented his wrists. "Not like I have a bleedin' choice in the matter. I just want this over with. Put them on so we can leave this god forsaken place."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy was standing in a corner of the hospital room, waiting for the doctor and nurses to finish their exams. Willow was awake, but groggy. The pain killers they had given her made her a little loopy and she was weakly trying to push away the nurse taking her blood pressure.

Buffy was hugging herself tightly. Guilt was tearing her up inside no matter how many times Willow had repeated that it wasn't her fault. It didn't matter; she still blamed herself.

The door opened and Joyce Summers walked in with a worried frown on her face, closely followed by her youngest daughter.

"Buffy? Oh honey..."

In the blink of an eye, Buffy was buried in her mother's loving embrace, letting go of her tight control on her emotions.

"Mommy." She said in a childish, muffled voice, reverting to a kid the way people sometimes do in their parents' presence.

Joyce was caressing her daughter's head comfortingly when her eyes landed on the tiny red head on the hospital bed.

"My God, what happened here? Is Willow all right? It's not too serious I hope."

Buffy shook her head before disentangling herself from her mother's arms. "She was lucky. The wound is superficial and no organs were damaged. They're keeping her here under observation for possible internal bleeding or infection until tomorrow."

"Buffy, what in the world happened?"

"It's a very long and crazy story, mom."

Dawn snickered from her spot by the bed where she was holding Willow's hand, now that the hospital staff had left the room. "She's not lying, mom. That story is wicked crazy and it might take a couple hours to tell."

"Well it all works out perfectly then," Joyce said sternly, her eyes darting between her two daughters "because you got me so worried after that phone call earlier that I canceled all my appointments for the next couple of days. So you better start talking, missy."

Buffy suddenly looked very nervous. "Okay. Uh... Maybe you should sit down?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was getting late. Spike had spent all day signing legal papers, retelling his story, answering questions and waiting. He was physically and emotionally exhausted. The day had drained him of his energy and it was not over by any means. He was currently sitting on an uncomfortable chair in a hallway, his lawyer going through paperwork next to him. They had been waiting for nearly an hour now and he was getting antsy. He was desperate for a cigarette.

Giles had gone to get coffee for everybody. Spike suspected the older man only wanted to get away from him and his relentless questions about Buffy's well being. He had assured Spike that she was fine, but nothing short of seeing her would do the trick. Spike knew that after going through all this trouble, she'd at least want to be there. The fact that she wasn't worried him beyond words. Being alone with his thoughts only made it worse.

Spike was looking down and didn't see a door open and the police officers walking out, escorting the tall, dark haired man, until he heard the hated voice.

"YOU!? You stupid SON OF A BITCH! I should have known you were behind this."

One of the officers pushed Angel to keep him walking. "Shut up and keep going!" The guard said angrily. But Angel dug his heels in.

"You're gonna pay for this, you hear me? You and that little whore of yours!"

Seeing Angel again made Spike feel like he was back in time. Back when he was poor pathetic William. It didn't last though. Memories of what this man had done to him filled him with rage. He knew he should just ignore the bastard and stay where he was, but he couldn't fight the urge to shut him up. Lilah tried to stop him from standing up but failed.

Spike smirked at the man who had made his life miserable. "I'm bleedin' shakin’ in my boots. Really, I am. What the hell do you think you're gonna do to me from where you're going, you pathetic hair gel addict wanker? Send me hate mail?"

"I'm gonna KILL YOU, that's what I'm gonna do. I don't need to do it myself. I know people. The both of you better sleep with one eye open."

The same officer shoved Angel forward. "I said SHUT the fuck up. Simple command if you ask me. Keep walking."

The other officer in front of MacAlister grabbed him by his shirt and forced him to move.

Both Spike and Lilah watch Liam McAlister disappear, hopefully forever.

"Are you all right?"

"Yeah..."

"Good. Let's go."

The rest happened in a blur for the still badly shaken man. That is, of course, until he heard the words that would change his life.

"... By the power invested in me by the state of California, I hereby declare you not guilty. Mr. Rayne, you are a free man."

The words that should have been said almost a year ago echoed in his mind.

Free man


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rollercoaster by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


CHAPTER 55: Rollercoaster


"You're sure you don't need anything? Cookies? Chocolate? Magazines?" Buffy was sitting at Willow's bedside, wringing her hands and smiling nervously.

"Buffy, I'm fine. You bought me like ten magazines already. I'm all up to date on the juiciest celebrity gossip. But thanks."

"... Sorry Will, I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to Oz. You know, to thank him for not killing me."

Willow rolled her eyes and Oz chuckled, still holding on to his wife's hand for dear life.

"But do you need something, Willow? Cause I could go downstairs to get you whatever you want."

"I'm fine! Buffy, calm down. You spent all day fretting over me. I'm OK. But if I eat one more chocolate bar, I might just be sick."

"Sorry. I know I've been over doing the worried friend thing, but I feel bad. Can't help it. I should have never dragged you into this."

"Understatement." Oz commented.

Willow gave him a hard look. "Oz, it wasn't her fault. She didn't drag me into anything, I wanted to go. She didn't even want me to go in the first place."

"'could have stopped you."

"I gave her the resolve face."

"Oh." He nodded his understanding and gave Buffy what could pass for an apologetic look.

The door opened and the nurse peeked in.

"Sorry to bother you. Miss Summers, Mr. Osbourn, it's almost 9 o'clock. Visits were over a couple of hours ago and the doctor will be doing his rounds soon. If he finds out I let you stay after hours, I'll be in trouble. You can come back in the morning. I'm sure they'll let her out early tomorrow."

"All right. Can we just have a few minutes to say our goodbyes?" Buffy asked the nurse.

"Sure. But don't stay too long."

"We won't."

They watched the door close, then turned back to Willow. She looked so pale and fragile in the big white bed that they were both reluctant to leave. But she needed to rest too.

Buffy shuddered. She hated hospitals. She hated to leave her friend here all alone. "Are you going to be all right?" She asked quietly, taking Willow's hand in hers.

"Absolutely. You guys don't worry about me."

Buffy smiled. "Too late."

"I'm staying." Oz said on a tone that didn't allow discussion.

"Honey, it's not necessary. I'm fine, really. Right as rain. And the nurse said she'd get in trouble." Willow tried to argue.

"I'll ask for a bunk bed."

Willow shook her head, but she was smiling. "Overprotective much?"

"I'm your husband. It's in the job description." He leaned forward and planted a kiss on her pale forehead.

"Awww." Buffy exclaimed mockingly. "You guys are so sweet."

The door opened again, and this time, Giles walked in. He was holding flowers and looked awkward and out of place. He was smiling, but his face looked tired, his features drawn and the dark circles under his eyes a clear sign that he had a rough day.

"Hello, Willow. How are you feeling?"

Willow smiled at him like the trouper that she was. "I'm OK. A little loopy because of pain medication, but I'll live. Thanks for stopping by."

"It's no bother, really. I was worried about you but I was kept busy all day. Sorry for visiting so late. These are for you." He added, indicating the flowers.

"Thanks. You can put them over there." She said pointing at a small table that was covered with candy boxes, flowers and stuffed animals.

Giles nodded to Oz in greeting and smiled at Buffy. "Willow, if it's quite all right with you, there’s another visitor. Someone who’d like to thank you personally, and say hello to Buffy."

Buffy's eyes widened and she stood up.

Willow frowned in confusion. "Really? Who?"

Giles smiled enigmatically. He walked back to the door and opened it. "Come in."

Time froze for Buffy as she watched Spike walk in. For a few heart beats, her feet were cemented to the floor and she stopped breathing. But then their eyes locked and the next moment, she was in his arms sobbing with relief and letting go of emotions she'd been holding in for months.

Willow was observing the scene with a look of complete confusion on her pretty face.

"Buffy? Oh my God, Buffy... I know I said it again and again, but really, I'm fine. Don't cry..."

Oz put a hand on his wife's shoulder. "Honey? I'm sure Buffy feels really bad about what happened to you but... I don't think that's why she's crying." He gave her a meaningful look hoping she'd catch on.

Willow didn't disappoint. Her eyes grew bigger with understanding and shock. "Oh..." And then, "OH. I knew it! I knew there was something going on between these two!"

Giles smiled at the young woman indulgingly.

"What? You knew?" The disappointed look on her face was priceless and made Giles chuckle.

"Yes, I was aware of the situation."

"So I was the only one out of the loop?" She pouted.

"No. I believe only Dawn, Faith and I knew what was going on."

The red head pouted. “That’s a lot of people.” She said, sulking.

The three people in the room who weren't Spike and Buffy were starting to feel like they were intruding. They were looking at everything but the couple.

Buffy's knees had buckled and they had sunk down to the floor, still holding on tightly to each other. Spike was whispering to the distressed woman, trying his best to calm her down.

"It's OK, luv. It's all right. I'm here."

He wasn't even sure if Buffy could hear him.

Spike looked up and his eyes met with Willow's. He offered her a smile that she returned.

"Thank you for helping, Red. I’m sorry you got hurt."

"Don't worry about it." She answered shyly. "It wasn't anybody's fault."

"Tell me all about it later, OK?"

"Later. Sure... You got your arms full."

He winked at her then returned his attention to Buffy. She pulled away from him, her hands still fisted in his now soaked shirt.

If you asked Buffy what she was thinking in this very moment, she'd be hard pressed to answer. There was not one coherent thought in her head. She was going from one emotion to the other at a break neck speed that made her almost dizzy. But in situations like these, the mind has a way of focusing on the strangest thing.

"Your shirt..."

"What about it, pet?"

She smiled through her tears. "It's black."

"Yeah? Was the only black thing in Rup's closet. Looks better on me than that sickening gray I had to wear for almost a year. Didn’t do anything for my complexion."

She smiled but he didn't give her time to answer, deciding it was more than time to kiss her instead.

The kiss was urgent and desperate, making them oblivious to everything around them. They didn't hear the door open, the nurse walk in or see Giles getting up and leading the woman out of the room on the pretence of having to talk to her.

Buffy was the one to break the kiss. "We have to get out of here. Now. I've been fantasizing about taking you home for so long." She could see in Spike's tired blue eyes that he completely agreed with her.

They turn simultaneously to look at Willow.

The red head blushed prettily. "Oh, by all means! You guys... Go. Do what you have to do. I'm sure you have a lot of things to--talk about." She giggled.

"Thanks, Red. We’ll come back to see you tomorrow."

Spike stood up and helped Buffy to her feet. He finally noticed Oz sitting by the bed. He gave the other man an apologetic look.

"Sorry if my manners are a bit rusty, mate. I'm William. But I prefer Spike."

The man with bright blue hair nodded. "Sounds tougher. I'm Daniel. But I prefer Oz."

Spike smirked, already liking Willow’s rocker husband.

Buffy was already pulling Spike toward the door.

"Well it was nice seeing you all. I'd like to stay and chat but..." He motioned with his head in Buffy's direction.

Willow laughed. "Don't worry about it, Spike. Just enjoy your first night of freedom."

He smiled at her. "Thanks, Red."

"Bye Will. See you tomorrow." Buffy said, already in the hallway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking down the hospital hallway alongside Spike, Buffy was talking urgently on her cell phone. She'd broken almost every hospital rule tonight, she figured one more wouldn't change anything. So far, no one had stopped her to tell her she wasn't allowed to talk on her phone.

"Yes mom, I swear I'm fine."

"You don't sound fine, Buffy. Are you sure?"

"I'm just emotional. I didn't think it would happen so fast. But it's the good kind of emotional, so there's nothing for you to worry about."

"All right then, if you say you're OK, I have no choice but to believe you, right?"

Buffy could almost hear the smile in her mother's voice. It made her smile too. "I'm afraid not."

"I'll take Dawn and go home then. I'm sure you and William will need your privacy."

"Mom, you don't have to drive home tonight, it's getting late already..." Buffy had to bite her tongue. She wanted nothing more than to tell her mom to go home, but she couldn't do that.

Joyce and Dawn had slept over at her house the night before and were going to stay for a few days, but that was before. She never expected Spike to be freed so soon. Not that she was complaining about it, but now she had house guests when she wanted nothing more than take her man home and celebrate in a way that required privacy. Having her mom and little sister in the room next to theirs just wouldn't do at all.

Joyce laughed. "It's great to see I raised my daughter so well. How polite and well mannered of you, honey. But your old mother isn't stupid. After the story you told me last night, I understand. It would be cruel of me to stay here and ruin your first night together. I'd feel like I'm intruding anyway so I might as well leave. I'll take Dawn back to L.A. and maybe stay there for a while."

Buffy sighed in relief. "Thanks mom. I'm so sorry, I really didn't expect this to happen."

"Are you happy?"

"So happy, you have no idea." Buffy smiled at Spike.

"Good. That's all that matters to me."

"I still feel bad making you come here for such a short time. I know you took time off from work..." Buffy said, feeling guilty for sending her mother home so soon after she drove all the way from San Fransico.

"It doesn't matter, honey. I needed a little vacation. Maybe I'll just stay the week in L.A. and visit some old friends, then come back next weekend so I can meet William."

"Sounds great. I can't wait for you to meet him."

"Speaking of William, tell him I'm very happy for him and I can't wait to meet him." Joyce said warmly.

Her mother had been a little worried the night before when hearing the entire story, but fortunately, it had also appealed to her romantic side and in the end, she was only happy for her daughter. She probably wouldn't feel the same way if something bad had happened to her, and she was upset that Willow had gotten hurt, but she would be fine. Joyce could see that Buffy wasn't only motivated by her love for that man, she also wanted to do the right thing by helping someone who needed help, and that made it forgivable in her eyes. She didn't expect anything else from her daughter. Buffy had always been there for people who needed her.

"I'll make sure to tell him. Thanks again mom."

"All right, I'll call to check on you crazy kids tomorrow. Bye honey."

"Bye mom. Love you."

"Love you too." Joyce said before hanging up.

Buffy turned the phone off and faced Spike, a smile on her lips.

"Let's go home."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Homecoming by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 56: Homecoming

Buffy sat stiffly in the passenger seat of her own car, her hand resting on Spike's thigh. She needed to reassure herself that he was there. The decision to let him drive had been easy to make. On her best day, she wasn‘t the most skilled of drivers--although she'd rather die than admit it--but driving would have been simply impossible in her current emotional state. Her hands were still shaking badly and she couldn't focus on anything. It wouldn't do to kill Spike on his first night out. But even with him behind the wheel, it still took considerably longer than usual to reach Buffy's house. They missed three different turns because Buffy forgot to indicate where to turn.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled unhappily. "I don't know what's wrong with me. You'd think I would know how to get home. I should do like little kids and walk around with a note in my bag saying: "Hi, I'm Buffy Summers. My address is..."

"It's alright, pet. We both had a rough day. We'll get there when we'll get there. I don't think anything could ruin my mood tonight. I feel like I'm on top of the world." He winked at her.

She returned his smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. The silence returned in the car, the only noise, the purr of the engine. Buffy was looking out the window at people walking on the sidewalk, houses and shops she saw every day, but nothing seemed real. She was in a dreamlike state. The kind of beautiful dream that you can't fully enjoy because of a lingering feeling of anxiety and fear threatening to choke you.

She was nervous. Everything happened so fast despite how long it took to actually get there. For months and months, she had worked to get Spike out of jail. All this time, things were barely moving at all. Then it all happened in a matter of twenty four hours and she was at a loss for what to do and how to react. There was the terrifying question of: "What do we do now?" lurking ahead and she didn't know how to answer it. It was one of those ‘let‘s cross the bridge when we get there’ thing. Well, they were at the bridge now, and she had no clue what was on the other side.

"Third one on the left." Buffy indicated when they neared the house.

Spike turned in the driveway then killed the engine. For a few seconds, they remained seated in silence.

"You're awfully quiet, pet. Mind telling me what's wrong?"

Still looking ahead, she did her best to smile. "Nothing's wrong. Why would you think there's something wrong?"

"The tears spilling out of your eyes, for one thing..."

Buffy lifted a hand to her face to brush off a stray tear. She hadn't even noticed she was crying. Her heart was beating fast. Now that Spike was there, next to her, her head had flooded with insecurities.

He grabbed her chin with a gentle hand and made her turn her head and look at him.

"This is supposed to be a happy moment, kitten. Why don't you tell me what's wrong before my imagination starts running wild and I come to the conclusion that you're not happy to have me here?"

Buffy's eyes filled with horror at the idea that he would even think that for a second and she shook her head vehemently. "What? No! I've never been so happy in my life, I swear."

"But?" He prompted.

She looked down, unable to make herself meet his eyes. "I've also never been so scared before."

"Scared? Of what?" Spike asked, genuinely puzzled by this new piece of information.

"So many things…” Buffy chuckled humorlessly and looked at everything but him. “I'm afraid that now that you see me in everyday life, you’ll realize that I'm not what you had expected me to be, that I might not be enough for you. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I can’t help thinking, God, what if it doesn't work? What if I lose you? And what happens next? I planned everything up to now, but it never occurred to me to think of after."

Spike sat back in his seat and stared straight ahead at the garage door. He sighed deeply. "And you think I don't feel the exact same way?"

Buffy opened her mouth to reply and then shut it again, his unexpected question rendering her speechless.

"All the fears and insecurities you were talking about, I'm going through the same thing. Probably even worse because I'm the one who's barging into your already established life and turning it upside down."

"But, I want you in my life." She said in a small voice. "You're not turning it upside down."

"Doesn't change the fact I have a million bloody questions too. How do I know what I'm supposed to do now? I don't have a soddin’ clue what your intentions are and what you think is supposed to happen next. Am I supposed to live here, or rent a hotel room until I find an apartment? Or should I stay here until I find my own place? How long?"

"Spike, of course I want you to stay with me... If you want to, I mean."

"Buffy, pet, what I'm trying to say is, we haven't talked about anything yet. So it's normal to feel insecure about each other's feelings and intentions about the future. It's not like me getting out of prison was a thing set in concrete the way you would plan a vacation, or a party or a wedding. We haven't sat together and said "here's what's going to happen, and how we're going to deal with this." But we'll figure it out. Together."

He turned back to her, took her face between his hands and gave her a heartfelt kiss. "We will figure it out, so stop worrying, all right?"

Buffy nodded and smiled, her smile a lot more genuine than it had been earlier.

"Good.” He said. “So what do you say we get out of this car and get inside so you can show me around your house? I'm really knackered."

Buffy only realized how tired she was herself while giving Spike the tour of the house. It's ironic how when you fantasize about a specific event, try to imagine how it will happen, and in reality things never go the way you wanted them to go. In her dreams, Spike's homecoming had been an event full of laughter and tears, spent making love in every room of the house. In reality, the last twenty four hours had taken a toll on both of them. Buffy yawned wide enough to make her jaw crack, and it had the resulting effect of making Spike yawn too. They laughed at how ridiculous it was.

"I'm sorry, Spike. I'll be fine. Maybe a coffee will help keep me awake."

Spike affectionately squeezed the hand he was holding. "Or maybe, you could show me the bedroom first, and the rest of the house in the morning."

Buffy's shoulders sagged in relief. "God yes."

Spike chuckled and pulled her into his arms. She clung to him, resting her head tiredly on his strong shoulder. "Which way?" He asked.

Buffy pointed to the door at the end of the hallway. Spike made her squeak in surprised when he lifted her off the floor and gathered her in his arms. She put her arms around his neck, laughing.

"C'mon sleeping beauty, let's tuck you into bed."

He pushed the bedroom door open with his foot then walked in and put Buffy down carefully on the bed. He looked around admiringly.

"This is quite posh. Much nicer than my last digs, that's for bloody damn sure."

Buffy looked down almost shyly. "If it's too girly, we can redecorate together. I don't mind."

He knelt on the floor in front of her, spreading her legs a little so he could get closer to her. “It's perfect as it is, and no serious conversations tonight, pet. I told you we'll figure all of this out tomorrow, and in the next couple of weeks. There will be a lot to think about, a lot to figure out, and we can't do it all in one night. Right now, we need to sleep. That's what we need."

She nodded her head then watched in silence as he undid the buttons of her blouse one at a time before pushing it off her shoulders.

"Spike?"

"Yeah, pet?"

"We'll be fine, right?"

He smiled softly while unbuttoning her pants and pulling them off. "Yes. I honestly believe we will be. It'll just take a few adjustments, is all."

He took off her bra and panties, then looked with satisfaction at his handiwork before making her lie down on the bed, still unmade from the previous night. He stood up and made quick work of his own clothes. Buffy scooted aside to make some room for him, extending welcoming arms. She didn't have to ask twice. Spike lay down next to her and pulled her against him.

With her head resting comfortably on his chest, Buffy felt sleep over taking her. She tried her best to fight it, blinking her eyes to try to keep them open. She left a trail of lazy kisses on his hard and smooth chest while he ran a loving hand through her hair. When he felt her slow down and finally stop, he looked down at her through heavy eyelids. He smiled, thinking she had left for dreamland already, but she suddenly shook herself awake and resume her task. Spike chuckled.

"Close your eyes and sleep, luv."

"But..." She tried to protest before a yawn interrupted her.

"No but, kitten. We have all the time in the world now."

"I had plans, damn it. Fun plans that involved you and I naked and not sleeping."

"Tomorrow. We'll be well rested and have double the fun, I promise."

"Yeah..." Buffy mumbled, already half asleep. "Tomorrow will be a good day."

"I love you, Buffy. What you did for me..."

"... is something I don't want you to thank me for. You never asked for anything. I did it because I love you and I wanted to do it."

They kissed, and in a matter of minutes, they were both deeply asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In that moment between sleep and consciousness, that place where you linger for a while before completely emerging from your dreams, Buffy became aware of a few things. The anxiety she had become accustomed to over the past couple of months was gone. It was a strange feeling. Almost like something was amiss. She could finally breathe. Then, there was the physical sensations coursing through her. That too was new. Well, at least in the bed where she’d been sleeping alone for so long. Lips were suckling on her right breast, sending waves of pleasure straight to her womb. Spike.

Buffy’s eyes shot opened when she remembered last night. Spike was in her bed. HER Spike was finally in HER bed! She’d been dreaming of this moment for months, and now he was there. And she’d been asleep instead of enjoying every moment of it like she should have.

Before Spike was even aware that Buffy was awake, she had grabbed him under his arms and pulled him up to her. He gasped in surprise, clearly not expecting that, but didn’t have a chance to say a thing because Buffy’s warm lips were on his in the next moment, kissing the breath out of him.

He pulled away and smiled down at her. “Good morning, luv.”

She smiled back. “’morning.”

“Mind if I get back to what I was doing, pet?”

She chuckled. “Oh, by all means...”

He went back to placing light kisses on the tender skin of her breast, and this time, slipped his hand between her legs to gently caress her. Buffy’s back arched off the bed as soon as he made contact with her over heated flesh. Almost as soon, Spike removed his hand and rested it on her lower stomach.

“Hey!” Buffy protested.

Spike played innocent. “Something wrong?”

“Why did you stop?” She complained in a still sleepy voice.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Were you enjoying that?”

She smacked him on the arm and Spike chuckled. “Yes I was. Any chance you might carry on?”

“Maybe if you ask nicely.” He said before returning to flicking her nipple with the tip of his tongue.

Buffy pouted. “Pretty please?”

His talented fingers returned to where she desperately wanted them, briefly playing with her clit before sinking deeper between the folds of aroused flesh. Buffy shivered and closed her eyes, a soft gasp passing her parted lips.

She felt Spike move against her. He was pulling himself up in the bed until he was so close that his lips were grazing hers. Buffy opened her eyes and found herself staring into ocean blue ones.

“I love you, Buffy. Never thought I’d be so lucky to meet someone like you.”

“Makes two of us. Who would have thought I’d finally find the one for me in prison?”

Spike laughed. “Someone up there has a twisted sense of humor, pet. But it worked out perfectly well for the both of us, don’t you think?”

Buffy grinned happily. “Yep. Perfectly well. Are you gonna kiss me now, or are we just gonna chat for a while?”

Spike gave her that sexy smirk that had the power to make her heart beat faster.

“As much as I enjoy talking with you,” he said, “I’d rather be kissing you if that‘s OK.”

“Watch me not complain.”

He pressed his lips against hers and lovingly kissed her. While his tongue was busy making love to her tongue, he moved his body over hers, placing himself comfortably between her parted legs. Buffy lifted her hips to make contact with his body, enjoying the feel of his hard cock against her. He rubbed himself sensually against her wetness and groaned at the sensation coursing through his body.

“Bloody hell, pet. Need you so much.”

She reached down and grabbed hold of his straining erection, guiding him to her opening.

“Spike...” She moaned in pleasure when he slowly pushed himself inside of her.

He paused to give her body time to adjust to his invading cock. Spike laced his fingers with hers and rested his forehead against hers, then pushed all the way in. Buffy had a lazy smile on her lips and was looking up into the eyes of her lover.

Spike grinned back before saying in a husky voice:

“Now I can really say that I’m home.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting at a small table on a terrace bathed in the late afternoon Californian sun, a nervous looking young woman checked her make-up for the tenth time. She closed her compact with a flick or her wrist, annoyed at herself for being so insecure. Of course she was flawless. She was Harmony Kendall after all. Former Teen Queen, most popular girl in high school, declared most likely to marry a rich man, and crowned homecoming AND prom Queen more times than she could count. She was ALWAYS fabulous and any guy should be lucky to have a date with her.

She lifted her oversized Gucci sunglasses off her dainty little nose just enough to look down at the printed email she was holding in her hand. She then looked around to see if her date had arrived. Hotstud69 said he was tall, blond, had dark eyes, and would be wearing a blue shirt and jeans.

Yes, her date. As in internet date. Online dating was for losers and desperate people who couldn't find a date normally. That was her opinion and she firmly believed in it. Didn’t mean she couldn’t try something new when she was bored, right? And no matter how this looked like, she was not desperate. But a girl has to keep her options opened. And besides, her friend Jamie's boyfriend's sister's friend had been on perfectmatch.com and found the man of her life. So why not.

Harmony opened her pink rhinestone covered compact again and checked to make sure she didn't have any lip gloss on her teeth. She pushed her sunglasses on top of her head and looked at herself from every angle, smiling happily at her reflection. Perfect skin, perfectly shiny bubble gum pink lips, sparkly gold eye shadow, not one blonde hair out of place. Nope. Nothing to worry about.

"Harmony?"

Vaguely annoyed to be seen by someone she knew, she lifted her head to look at the man standing in front of her, her nose scrunched up and tiny frown lines between her perfectly plucked brows. It couldn't be her date since he only knew her as Tinkerbelle_Pink. She hadn’t given him her real name yet.

The frown was replaced by a brilliant smile when she recognized her ex-coworker, Jake Saunders. She had been sad to see him get fired because he was the only one at the prison who truly appreciated the value of a good gossip.

"Jake! Oh my God, it's been forever! What are you doing here?"

The tall blond man, who had made an effort to look suitably surprised to see her, now forced a chuckle and looked down, faking embarrassment. "I'm here to meet my date."

Always the theatrical one, Harmony put her hand over her heart. "Get out! So am I. What a coincidence."

"Actually, not really." Jake did his best to smile charmingly. He pointed at the flower in Harmony's hair. "My date said she would wear a pink orchid in her hair so I could recognize her."

Harmony opened and shut her mouth a few times in shock before speaking. "You're Hotstud69?"

"Yeah, that'd be me. Not too disappointed I hope?"

The bubbly blonde shook her head, the grin threatening to split her face in half. "Oh no, absolutely not. I'm glad it's you. I've missed you at work. It's totally boring without my gossip buddy." She winked flirtatiously at him.

Jake was smiling too, but for entirely different reasons. It would be even easier than he'd originally thought to get all the dirt on Ms. Buffy Summers.

Yes, it was a beautiful day for revenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hot water by Isabel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 57: Hot water

In what Buffy now called the antechamber of death, the only sound that could be heard were Harmony's noisy sobs and sniffling. It was getting increasingly difficult to ignore the whimpering blonde despite her best effort. It was already surprising enough that Buffy had found it in her not to strangle the brainless Barbie, she was certainly not going to comfort her.

The room was small and Buffy was starting to feel more than a little claustrophobic. Giles, Harmony and her had been waiting for more than an hour on very uncomfortable chairs and Buffy’s theory was that the man in charge of her case, Mr. Travers, was torturing them on purpose. Probably hoping they’d get bored and leave so he could fire her on the spot instead of listening to her defending herself against the accusations that had been made against her.

She should have known everything was too perfect to be true, she thought angrily. William and her had been living together for almost four months now and they were blissfully happy. Her mom and sister absolutely adored him and her friends got along with him perfectly. Even Xander--after getting over the fact he was the only one not in the know--was happy to finally have another male in the group to bond with.

And then,

this

happened. Thanks to her genius secretary, her perfect fairytale wasn’t so perfect anymore. Losing her job wouldn't change anything between Spike and her, but it would definitely put a damper on her happiness. So she‘d have to do her best to defend herself in front of those men today and hope for the best.
Not that she could defend herself with a clear conscience. After all, she was guilty of the accusations. But after a long discussion with Giles, she didn’t feel as bad about not saying the truth anymore. After all, he was right. Nothing that happened with Spike had affected the way she did her job or conducted herself in front of her staff and her prisoners. Yes, it was wrong to sleep with a prisoner, but the circumstances put things in a different light. Maybe sleeping with Spike had been a mistake, but even white hats sometimes make mistakes. You try to be a good person, you try to help people, and sometimes, you stumble. And if the outcome had been that an innocent man had been freed and justice had been served, than it couldn’t have been all bad.

Of course, the right thing to do now would be to admit to what she’d done and accept to lose her job, but Giles had been adamant that it was not an option he was willing to consider. He thought there was still a lot of good she could do in that prison and they needed her. She believed him.

Lost in her thoughts, Buffy almost didn’t notice the door opening and Jake Saunders walking out of the meeting room grinning like the cat who ate the canary. He stopped in front of Buffy.

“Buffy!" He exclaimed jovially. "Having a good day?”

Buffy pinned him with a glacial look, an even colder smile on her lips. “Probably not as good as yours, Jake. But thanks for asking.”

“Mine is wonderful so far. I think I’ll stick around to see the look on your face when they fire you, Summers. It will be worth the wait.”

Harmony stood up abruptly, her face red from outrage and all the crying she had done. “Shut up you big jerk! Why are you being so mean? You used me and you don’t even care that now everybody blames me and hates me!”

Jake smirked mockingly. “You just realize now that I used you? Darn, you’re slower than I thought you were. Of course I used you. What sane man would voluntarily put himself through the torture of listening to you talking about yourself for hours and hours? The only reason I dated you was because you‘re Sunnydale‘s most notorious big mouth and you work with Miss Hollier-than-thou over there.”

Harmony’s tears started falling again. She walked up to him and tried to slap him, but he caught her wrist and twisted it painfully.

Buffy stood up, walked up to him and grabbed his arm. She dug her nails in his skin until he yelled and let go of Harmony. “You bitch!”

Giles stood up too. “I suggest you leave this moment, Jake.” he warned in a frighteningly cold voice.

Jake snorted and walked out, obviously unwilling to push his luck.

They all sat back down, Harmony more miserable than ever, but quieter.

Her shoulder slumped and her head down, she finally found the courage to speak again.

“Thanks for stopping him.” She said quietly, her words directed at Buffy.

“Yeah, don’t mention it.” Buffy mumbled.

“I just wanted him to like me, you know.”

Buffy looked up sharply. “By making me lose my job?!”

“NO! I swear I never thought he would use it against you! To me, it was just harmless gossip. He looked bored and I wanted him to find me interesting. I made it all up. I knew you were seeing Spike in private a lot so I just embellished. I thought I was making it sound more romantic, that's all. I never thought for a second that he was a complete jerk and would place a complaint against you and tell people that you were having an affair with a prisoner. I'm so sorry."

"We are well aware that you're sorry, Harmony." Giles said harshly. "You've only been telling us every five minutes for the past two weeks. I'm afraid it is not improving the situation. Your malicious gossips have put Buffy in a dire situation and you certainly should have thought of that before opening your mouth."

Buffy rolled her eyes at Harmony's renewed tears. She sighed tiredly. "It's alright, Giles. What's done is done. It doesn't excuse it, and she should have known that I fired Jake and he hates me enough to pull something like that, but I don't believe she meant for this to happen."

Harmony threw her a grateful look, and Buffy couldn't help thinking she looked like a kicked puppy. A Poodle maybe. Or a Cocker. She couldn't decide.

The door opened again and they all looked up.

"We're ready for you." A definitely unfriendly looking men said in a hard tone.

The three of them stood up and made their way to the meeting room where four men in suits were waiting for them. Only one of the men stood up, Quentin Travers. By the look on his face, Buffy could have sworn he was enjoying this immensely. The other three only looked annoyed and bored.

"Ah, miss Summers. Please, take a seat." He said, gesturing for Buffy to sit, then nodded at Giles in greeting. "Rupert."

"Mr. Travers." Giles replied coolly, obviously not liking the overly familiar way the other man addressed him.

Harmony remained standing, unsure of what to do with herself. She was twisting her hands nervously, her face pale. Travers gave her his version of a warm smile, which would qualify as lukewarm at best.

"And you must be Miss Kendall, correct?"

Harmony nodded, unable to speak.

"Please sit down, Miss Kendall so we can start. I don't have all day."

He waited until she did has he said, then started speaking again. "Like you probably all know by now, a disturbing accusation has been made against you, Miss Summers. It has been brought to our attention that you may have had an inappropriate relationship with one of your prisoners..." He flipped a few pages of the file in front of him, pretending not to remember the name. "Ah yes, Mr. William Rayne. As you know, this is serious accusation and could be ground for dismissal if it proves to be true."

Harmony opened her mouth to say something, but one glare from Quentin Travers, and she decided it would be wiser to keep her mouth shut until permitted to speak.

"We conducted our own investigation and unfortunately, everything seems to point in that shockingly disturbing direction. But without concrete proof, we will have to base our decision on witness interrogation an listen to your own explanation for your actions of the past months."

He interrupted himself to take a sip of his water and Buffy narrowed her eyes at him thinking of how satisfying it would be to wiped the smug look off that bastard's face. But she decided it would be wiser to keep her mouth shut until it was her turn to speak.

"We spoke with the prison staff and it was confirmed that you had more contacts with prisoner Rayne than any other inmates."

Buffy had to bite her tongue not to lash out at the man. Yes, William had been a prisoner so the use of the term was correct, but it didn’t mean she had to like the reminder. It was a part of his life they both tried to put in the past and she hated that Travers kept referring to William as “Prisoner Rayne”.

Travers' face was hard, his lips a thin line on his face. "This is serious matter and I could very well decide not to waste my time listening to what you have to say in your defense. It is all up to me."

This time it was Giles' turn to get angry. "Don't threaten her, Quentin. I wouldn't have any problem going over your head. I'm sure the Governor wouldn't be too pleased to hear you treated Miss. Summers unfairly."

Travers' hand tightened around his glass of water and he smiled thinly. But he decided to let it go. "Let's get back on topic, shall we. As I was saying, we discovered that Mr. Rayne and Miss Summers met regularly and for unclear reasons during his stay at the prison. Another thing confirming our suspicion is the fact that Mr. Rayne and Miss Summers are now in a relationship and living together." He looked pointedly at the sparkling ring on Buffy's finger.

Buffy glared at him before hiding her hand under the table.

"We just finished interrogating Mr. Saunders, the man who brought this to our attention in the first place. He mentioned that he got his information from you, Miss Kendall. Maybe you could clarify the story and give us more details. It would be helpful in determining our course of action."

Harmony looked like a deer caught in the headlights. She tried to speak, but nothing came out.

"Miss Kendall? Did you, or did you not tell Mr. Jake Saunders that Miss Summers was having an affair with Mr. Rayne?"

"I lied. It wasn't true." Harmony managed to say, looking miserable.

"You lied? So you did not say, and I quote: "they were locking themselves in her office and having steamy hot sex for hours like in prison x-rated movies"? Quentin asked, one thick eyebrow raised in question, his eyes burning holes through Harmony.

The young woman visibly shrunk in her seat.

Buffy gave her a horrified and disbelieving look. "You said what?!"

"Miss Summers! Please. I don't believe I addressed you. Your turn will come, but for now, let Miss. Kendall speak." Travers warned.

Buffy kept glaring at her secretary, but swallowed back her angry words.

"I did say it, but I made it up."

"Now, why would you say such a thing if it wasn't true?"

"I don't know. It was a stupid thing to say. I guess I was a little bit jealous. Spike is a good looking guy."

"Spike?"

"Oh, that's William's nickname. Anyway. He's good looking and I was jealous of Buffy because I'm all alone and I think I should have a hot guy like that. Plus I was on a date with Jake and he kept asking for dirt on Buffy because you know... he hates her and all. So I said the first thing that came to my mind because I wanted him to like me."

"So your saying that they did not spend time alone together? Because we have proof here that says otherwise."

"No... I mean... yes but..."

"Is it a yes or a no, Miss Kendall?" Travers snapped impatiently.

"They did spend time together, but never for very long and always with a reason. And... the door was open." She lied, hoping to help undo what she had done.

"The door was open, you say?"

She nodded enthusiastically.

"And did she always give you the reason why she needed to see Mr. Rayne? Didn't it seem odd to you at times that they would see each other so often?"

Seeing the tears threatening to spill out of Harmony's eyes, Giles decided he'd had enough.

"That's quite enough. Dear Lord, Quentin, this is not a criminal on trial here."

"Quite right, but we do take this situation seriously. And I would like to get to the bottom of this."

"You want to get to the bottom of the story? Then let me say this. I was offered the position of warden quite a few times over the years and always said no. If you'll remember well, the last time I was asked if I'd be willing to take the duties of Warden, I said that if the next one turned out to be just as bad as her predecessors, I'd do it."

Giles didn't see the look of betrayal on Buffy's face, his blue eyes trained on Travers'. For a moment there, she'd jumped to the conclusion that he was about to take her down in front of these stuffy bureaucrats. But she kept her mouth shut and let him finish.

"And honestly, I was convinced it wouldn't be too long before I'd have to step up. Then Ms. Summers came along and now I know I'll never have to be Warden. Because I am more than satisfied calling this woman my boss. She's been doing nothing but a marvelous job ever since she took charge and the malicious gossips you came across I can assure you are nothing but rubbish."

"Mr. Giles, the fact alone that Miss Summers is now in a relationship with..."

"Means nothing at all." Giles interrupted brusquely. "William Rayne is an innocent man like you and me, I do not believe I have to remind you of this. And his brief stint in prison should have never happened in the first time. Yes, Ms. Summers has worked with William more than she'd normally work with a prisoner, but that was in hope of finding a way to help him prove he is innocent. I was there most of the time and can assure you it was platonic and her attitude was purely professional. Romantic feeling might have developed between the two of them during those months before he was declared innocent by the justice system, but they never acted on them and nothing inappropriate took place while he was in prison."

A door opened and closed with little delicacy and everyone in the room turned to face the newcomer. Faith stood there, looking incredibly uncomfortable in a classic gray pants and jacket suit. The only touch of herself that Buffy could see was the fact the red shirt she was wearing underneath the jacket was unbuttoned way too low to be decent.

She looked around at the room's occupants, a smirk on her red lips and a mischievous glint in her dark eyes. "Damn do I ever hate that deja vu feeling." She joked, referring to the time she had reported warden Wilkins. "Hello, Mr. T. I'd like to say nice to see you again, but I'd be lying."

Quentin looked annoyed. "Miss Lehane. May I ask what brings you here?"

"What? You thought I'd miss the party? Another warden about to get thrown out on her ass, of course I had to be here."

"This is no laughing matter, Faith."

"Oh, I'm not laughing, Quent. Ya think I would have bothered getting my sweet little ass all the way to L.A. if I thought this was a joke? I hate L.A. Too many over caffeinated, under nourished, bimbos out here if you ask me. But hey, can't judge someone fairly if you don't talk to all the witnesses, right?" She winked at the man.

"Is there a point to all this, Faith?"

“I always have a point, honey.”

Quentin Travers looked like he was about to growl, but he managed to keep his cool and detached front. Barely. “Enlighten us then.”

“Well you see, I figured you’d want to hear from someone unbiased. And since you already know I don’t have a problem telling the truth as it is, and since I’m not B’s biggest fan...” She lied smoothly, a smirk on her face.

Quentin visibly perked up at that. “Interesting. Any particular reason for not liking Miss. Summers?”

Faith let out an unladylike snort. “Well, ya know... She’s stuck up, annoyingly perky and happy, always does the right thing. Yeah, people like that just rub me the wrong way.”

“What else?” Quentin asked almost hopeful.

“Nothing.”

He frowned in confusion. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Faith looked at him like he was a complete idiot. “You don‘t know what nothing means, Mr. T?”

“I am well aware of the meaning of nothing, Miss Lehane. I’m merely trying to figure out what you’re trying to say here.”

“What I’m trying to say is that she did absolutely nothing wrong. You guys jumped on that woman like a pack of wolves without even considering where the ‘accusation’ came from. Jake Saunders has no credibility whatsoever and neither does Princess Bubblegum over there.” She pointed at Harmony with her thumb. “Did you even take under consideration that Saunders recently got fired by Buffy? Never occurred to you gentlemen, while sitting in your posh penthouse office, that the guy is out for B’s blood? for fuck’s sake, we shouldn’t even be standing here! Goddamn waste of time if you ask me.”

“Could you please watch your language, Faith?” Quentin sighed in exasperation.

“Get the stick out of your ass, Quent. I’m a prison guard, not a Harvard graduate.” She rolled her eyes. “The point is, I might not like her much, but she does her job and does it well. And FYI, I was in on her plan to help Spike and when Giles wasn’t in the room with them, I was. I never saw anything that wasn’t PG-13. Believe me, I would have been the first to report it if I did.”

The three other men who had been taking notes during the meeting, were looking at each other, then at Quentin.

Quentin pinched the bridge of his nose wearily. “Very well. Please step outside while we discuss this.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four very relieved people walked out of a building downtown Los Angeles. It was late afternoon and had been a long day for them, but the outcome had been satisfying. Buffy Anne Summers was still warden of Sunnydale’s prison.

The were walking on the sidewalk on the way to their parked cars, Faith and Buffy side by side, Giles a few steps ahead and Harmony trailing behind.

“Damn, B, the man does not like you. Did you see the look on his face when he agreed to let you keep your job? He looked like his puppy just died.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I know. He was the only one who didn’t want me to get the position when I was nominated for it. He just doesn’t like me. He probably jumped on the chance to fire me. Too bad he didn’t have enough evidence against me.”

Faith smirked cockily. “The lack of evidence had nothing to do with it. I saved your ass back there. That was some wicked performance I gave.”

Giles looked over his shoulder at the two women. “You’re taking all the credit, Faith, but if I might say so myself, my speech was quite remarkable. I believe it helped influence the decision as well.”

Faith pretended to think about it, then shook her head. “Nah, Giles. It was all me. The pompous bastard is terrified of me. Actually, I think he might have a crush on me. The sick freak’s probably a masochist. I can see him with a leather collar and a leash.”

“Faith! Please... Mental pictures.” Buffy shuddered and Faith burst out laughing.

“Poor little girl, now she’s going to have dreams of naked Quentin on his hands and knees with his...”

“FAITH!”

“God! That’s disgusting!” Harmony whimpered, a few steps behind them.

For his part, Giles started walking a bit faster, trying to put some distance between himself and the women.

“So,” Buffy started, trying to change the subject to something a little less disturbing. “you sounded pretty convincing with all this talk about not liking me.”

Faith chuckled and put an arm around Buffy’s shoulders. “Aw, you know I loooove you.”

“So, what you said...”

“Oh, I meant every word.” Faith said brightly.

The look on Buffy’s face made Faith laugh. “Excuse me?”

“OK, fine. You’re not stuck up and you don’t always do the right thing. I mean come on, you slept with a prisoner! But you definitely are annoyingly happy.”

Buffy grinned. “Yep, I guess I am.”

“And seriously, Buff, it was easy to pretend to hate you. All I have to do is look at the bling on your finger... Which reminds me I'm still not too sure about that bride's maid gig. I swear, if you put me in a pink puffy dress, there will be hell to pay." Faith glared menacingly at Buffy, but Buffy only giggled.

"Actually, I believe Buffy had her eye on a lavender puffy dress." Giles said, difficultly hiding his smile.

The three women stopped walking and stared at his back in stunned silence.

Giles turned around. "What? I do know how to make a joke... I only chose not to."

Buffy and Faith burst out laughing, and even Harmony tentatively joined in.

They reached their respective cars, the collective mood much lighter than it was when they arrived earlier this morning. Faith's car was parked right in front of Giles, and Harmony had had to find a parking spot a little further down the street. Buffy had been too nervous to drive all the way to L.A. so she'd hitched a ride with Giles. She went to the passenger side and waited for him to unlock the door.

Walking pass Buffy with her head low, Harmony stopped and turned around. "So... I guess I'll see you guys around." She started hesitantly.

Buffy turned to look at the blonde standing on the sidewalk, looking like a lost little girl.

"I guess that invitation to your engagement party is like, not valid anymore so... I'll bring your present to work Monday... if you haven't found anyone to replace me yet, of course."

The misery on Harmony's face tugged at Buffy's motherly instinct. She was still mad at her secretary for being so careless and putting her in such a bad situation thanks to her big mouth, but she couldn't be mean to her.

"Harmony..."

"No, that's cool. Don't worry about it. I deserve it. I'll just... be going now. So--Bye." She said in a small voice, turning on her heels to leave.

Buffy sighed. "Harmony. Wait. Of course you're still invited."

Harmony's face lit up. "Really?"

"And I'm not going to fire you either."

Faith looked up sharply from where she was standing, looking through her bag for her car keys. "What? You're joking, right? You're keeping bimbo after all that sick mess she put you through?"

"Faith..." Buffy said warningly.

The brunette put her hands up. "Hey, your choice, B. But next time she flaps her gums and get you in trouble, it will be my intense pleasure to say I told you so."

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friend. "And I promise not to bitch about it if it happens."

Deciding he didn't want to participate in the conversation, Giles got behind the wheel and unlocked the passenger door from the inside. Buffy opened it, ready to get in.

"I promise you won't regret it, boss." Harmony said eagerly. She was beaming.

Faith shook her head. "See you in a couple hours at the Bronze, geeks and losers. I'm outa here." She got in her car and shut the door.

"All right then!" Harmony said brightly, walking away backwards. "I'll see you in a bit."

"Sure, Harm."

"We have so much to celebrate... We're gonna party!"

The blonde's good mood was contagious and Buffy couldn't help laughing.

"That we will."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wish you were here... by Isabel
Author's Notes:
I know you guys have been waiting a long time for this. The ending of PMJ. I can't believe it's finally over. Who would have thought when I first started writing this almost two years ago that it would end up being a 60 chapters story! Not me lol. Anyway, I hope you have all enjoyed it. Don't be shy, leave me a comment. I really want to know what you think... one last time ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Epilogue: Wish you were here

The Bronze, a club usually packed with sweaty hormonal teenagers dancing the night away, was closed to the public for the night. But it wasn't empty. Inside, gathered beneath a large "Congratulation" banner, a happy group of friends and family was celebrating. And they had every reason to do so. Their friends Buffy and Spike, after a year long forbidden and seemingly hopeless love affaire, were now engaged with a bright and happy future to look forward to.

The original reason for the party had been to celebrate Spike's coming out of prison. But after the ex-prisoner unexpectedly proposed to Buffy soon after he was freed, Willow and Cordelia decided to turn it into a surprise engagement party as well.

The place had been nicely decorated specifically for the event by the very tasteful Cordelia Chase-Harris. Everything had been done in black, silver and accents of deep purple. She had wanted to keep it as neutral as possible so it wouldn't be too girl for Spike. Hundreds of balloons were hanging from the ceiling and decorating the stage where Dingo Ate My Baby would play later on during the evening. In a corner was a large buffet table covered with mouth watering finger food as well as a chocolate fountain, and next to it, a small pyramid of champagne glasses. For the occasion, the dingy looking round tables had been covered with white table cloths, and orchids had been placed on every table to add a touch of color. Nothing was missing. Except for the happy couple, who had disappeared at some point during the evening.

"Could I get your attention, please..."

Xander Harris was standing on the stage, ready to give a speech in the honor of his friends, when he suddenly noticed they had pulled a vanishing act.

"Huh, guys?” He said into the microphone. “Did anybody see the sickeningly happy couple?"

People looked around themselves curiously, only to confirm that they were nowhere to be seen. The only one to speak up was Anya.

"They're probably off having sex somewhere in a corner." She said loudly with her usual tact.

The already tipsy crowd laughed good-naturedly. Giles only smiled and shook his head. He was slowly getting used to his girl's bluntness and even found her honesty somewhat refreshing. If something needed to be said, Anya was there to say it.

After all, assuming they were somewhere getting down and dirty wasn't much of a stretch. Most of the people in the room had had at least one embarrassing story to tell involving Buffy, Spike and sex. Dawn had caught them doing it in Buffy's pool. Xander had walked in on them going at it in his bathroom. Giles had seen way too much for his taste the day they had invited him for dinner and he went to see what was going on in the basement after hearing a loud crash. And Joyce was still trying to forget what she'd seen when she'd invited them to spend a few days with her in San Francisco. But after all they'd been through, no one would ever blame them for acting like horny teenagers.

"You heard the woman, people." Xander said into the microphone, an amused smile on his face. "Nobody goes into the bathroom for at least half an hour unless you want to have another embarrassing story to tell."

That sent everybody into hysterical laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pressed against the wall, her black cocktail dress pushed around her hips and her lover between her legs, Buffy moaned softly. His lips were caressing the tender skin of her throat, one of his hands holding her up, and the other one lazily rubbing her clit.

"Spike... Stop." She asked unconvincingly.

"Mmm. Why?"

"Cause. People... there are people." She whispered in the dark, unable to even form a complete sentence.

"What about them, pet?"

For a moment, Buffy almost forgot why she wanted him to stop, then she shook her head to try getting her brain back in working order. "They're all here for us, Spike. They'll notice we're gone."

She couldn't see her lover's face in the darkness of the supply closet, but she could tell he was smirking. He positioned himself at her entrance and thrust inside of her before answering.

"Is that a problem for you? Cause it's not a problem for me..."

Buffy moaned. "Nope. No problem here. Everything is good... sooo good."

Spike chuckled. "That's what I thought."

She closed her eyes and buried her face in the crook of his neck to stop herself from making too much noise. She wanted to focus only on the pleasure her man was bringing her and nothing else. She felt it radiating through every part of her body, wave after wave of pure ecstasy, the pressure building in her womb with each and every one of his thrusts until it was almost too much.

Spike was quickly losing control. It didn't matter how many times he'd had her, every time was like the first time. She constantly amazed him. Being with her alone was an amazement to him. He didn't know what he did to deserve to have such a woman in his arms. Didn't know which God up there liked him enough to offer him this gift. But one thing was for sure, he would never take it for granted. Never stop worshipping this incredible woman.

Buffy held on to him with all of her strength, afraid to let go for even a second. She was terrified he would disappear and all this would have been nothing but a dream. She still had nightmares that she would wake up alone one morning only to find out it never happened and Spike was still in jail. No, she didn't know what she did to deserve him, but it had been worth it to be patient and wait for the right one to come along. They say that you know when you finally meet the one, and she knew in her heart that Spike was who she wanted to spend the rest of her life with. There would never be another one for her.

They had both given up on trying to be quiet by then. Spike's groans and heavy breathing, and Buffy's soft whispered pleas resonated in the confined space. They couldn't bring themselves to care if someone walked by and heard them. The pleasure was too intense to hold back.

Buffy climaxed, her body tensing with her release. She pulled Spike close and pressed her lips against his in an intensely passionate kiss. He pushed his cock inside her almost roughly a few more times before finally letting himself follow her.

Spike rested his forehead against her slim shoulder while trying to catch his breath. Buffy rubbed his back lovingly and turned her head to place a tender kiss against his temple.

"I love you, Spike. You know that, right?"

"I know. I love you too, Buffy. Always."

"Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"As much as I'd love to just stay her and bask in the after glow, we need to get out of here."

Spike sighed and reluctantly pulled out of her. He put her back on her feet, then tucked himself back into his trousers. Suddenly, Buffy wasn't in front of him anymore.

"Pet? Where are you?"

"Down here."

Spike looked around even though he couldn't see a thing. "What are you doing on the floor?" He asked, puzzled.

"Looking for my stupid panties."

Spike chuckled. "As entertaining as it would be to let you keep looking for a while, you're right, we need to get back to the party. Here, they're in my pocket."

She miscalculated the distance when standing up, and the top of her head connected with his chin hard.

"Ow! Bleedin' hell! Watch it, luv."

Buffy chuckled while rubbing the top of her head. "That will teach you for finding the idea of your fiancée exploring the dirty floor of a bar's supply closet in the dark on her hands and knees entertaining. Now give me my panties."

She put her underwear back on and pulled the skirt of her dress down.

"All decent, luv?"

"As decent as I'll get anyway."

Spike opened the door carefully, making sure the coast was clear. When he didn't see anybody, they both discretely walked out. They tried walking back into the party inconspicuously, but soon discovered the gig was up when they heard the laughs and snickers.

Seeing Dawn looking at her from across the room with her arms crossed over her chest and shaking her head disapprovingly, Buffy put her tongue out at her little sister. Dawn laughed and rolled her eyes.

Spike and Buffy went back to their table where they were soon joined by Xander and Cordelia.

“Glad you two horndogs decided to stop whatever you were doing long enough to grace us with your presence.” Xander joked.

“Xander,” Cordelia warned, “Leave them alone. They just got engaged, of course they can’t keep their hands off each other. Maybe you should take example from Spike.”

Xander looked offended. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing. Just that... I could use a little more attention.”

“Hey, I’ll have you know that I work a lot. I can’t help it if I fall asleep sometimes. And besides...” Xander noticed Spike and Buffy staring at him and decided it wasn’t really the time and place for that discussion. “Can we just talk about this at home? In private.”

“Fine.” The brunette pouted. “But don’t think I’ll be dropping that topic any time soon. And I’ll also want to know why her rock is bigger than mine.”

Cordelia grabbed Buffy’s left hand and showed her husband for emphasis. “See? Not fair. Was I not worth a two carats princess cut pink diamond too?”

Xander glared at Spike. “This is all your fault, you know? Couldn’t you tone it down a little? You’re making the rest of us look bad with all the grand romantic gestures.”

Both Buffy and Cordelia burst out laughing at the crestfallen look on Xander’s face. Cordelia decided to let her husband off the hook. She grabbed him and planted a resounding kiss on his lips.

“Baby, I was just kidding. You know I love my ring. And I’m perfectly satisfied in bed. Now I think we’ve made the love birds uncomfortable enough. Why don’t you go ahead and tell them what you wanted to tell them?”

Xander looked relieved. “I wasn’t sure if I should wait until your wedding, but decided there’s no point waiting. I want to give you your wedding present now if that’s OK with you.”

Buffy smiled like a small child on Christmas’ Eve. “Do I look like a girl who’s gonna say no to an early present?”

Xander chuckled. “No, I don’t believe you do. Here...”

He pulled out some folded papers from his jacket pocket and offered them to Buffy and Spike.

“What’s this?” Spike asked, curious.

“That house you’ve been renting from me, Buf, it’s yours. These are the ownership papers.”

Buffy looked up from the paper, her eyes bright with unshed tears. “Are you serious?”

“Yep.” Her old friend smiled, getting teary eyed himself.

Buffy threw her arms around him and pulled him into a bear hug. “I don’t know what to say, Xand. Thank you so much.”

“You’re welcome, Buffy. I just thought, since the two of you are starting this great new life, I want you to start it on the right foot.”

Spike stood up and walked around the table to were Xander was. He shook the other man’s hand than pulled him into an awkward manly hug. “Means a lot, mate. Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it. Just worry about making her happy and we’ll be even. But if you ever hurt her...”

Spike smirked. “You’ll kick my ass. I know.”

“As long as you know that, you and I will get along.” Xander smiled.

“Hey! Nobody wants to know what my wedding present is?” Cordelia asked, annoyed that her husband would get all the attention and not her.

Buffy looked at her best friend with a happy grin. “You got us a prezzie too?”

“Well, technically, it’s for you, Buffy. But you’ll both enjoy it when you walk down the aisle looking super extra gorgeous thanks to me.”

“What is it? What did you get me?” Buffy asked, suddenly excited.

“I didn’t get you anything but I’ll design your wedding dress. You’ll be walking down the aisle in an exclusive Cordelia Chase creation. It’s not a house but...”

Buffy squealed with excitement. The two women started talking fashion and soon, Spike and Xander tuned them out.

“So,” Xander asked. “What now? Do you have any plans, any idea what you’re gonna do with your life?”

“Not sure, Harris. I got offered a couple of book deals. I guess my story got leaked by someone at the prison. I don’t know if it’s a good or bad idea so I’ll give it some thought. I’ve always wanted to write so that could be an option.”

Xander nodded. “Sounds good, man.”

Spike looked at the woman he loved. She was still chatting excitedly with her friend, her smile was lighting up the room and happiness was radiating from her. He smiled.

“One thing is for sure, mate, I’ve been given a second chance in life, and I’m gonna make the most of it and enjoy every minute of every day.”

Spike raised his glass. “To new beginnings, second chances and incredibly amazing women... Both yours and mine.”

Xander raised his glass too. “Amen to that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six months later, LA prison

A guard was standing in front of a cell. Inside, the inmate was sleeping.

“Hey! McAllister, get your ass out of bed. You got mail.”

The guard banged on the bars with his stick, clearly wanting to annoy the prisoner.

The still form on the bed moved, and Liam ‘Angel’ McAllister opened a groggy eye, then slowly sat up. “Will you shut the hell up already?”

The guard laughed, then flipped a post card through the bars. It landed at Angel’s feet. “Isn’t that sweet? Someone cares about you. Though I gotta say, it’s kinda ironic sending a post card with a picture on it of a beautiful exotic beach to a guy who is all locked up in prison for life. Sucks to be you buddy.”

Angel didn’t bother answering. He bent down to pick up the post card. It said Fiji Islands on it. He turned it and started reading.

All it said was:

Wish you were here... Not. Enjoy life in prison.

And it was signed William and Buffy.

Angel’s curses could be heard twenty cells down. He destroyed the post card, tearing it up in a hundred pieces. The guard laughed and walked away.

The End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=5253