Back Where I Belong by NvrBnKisst
Summary: Dawn finds out what other use the key has and goes back in time to fix things. Buffy and Andrew catch her and go along for the ride.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Genres: Action
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 17740 Read: 13832 Published: 11/14/2004 Updated: 11/28/2004

1. Ancient Texts by NvrBnKisst

2. Bargaining...All Over Again by NvrBnKisst

3. Bargaining...All Over Again II by NvrBnKisst

4. After Living It by NvrBnKisst

5. Not So Flooded by NvrBnKisst

6. Life Cereal by NvrBnKisst

7. Out of the Way by NvrBnKisst

Ancient Texts by NvrBnKisst
Prologue: Ancient Texts

Dawn sat in her room alone. No one was home and thank god for that! Buffy would totally freak if she knew what she was up to. Dawn, Buffy, and Andrew had moved into an apartment in Rome after the last battle in Sunnydale. The scenery was nice sure, but Dawn missed home. Missed Sunnydale. That’s why she was here. Lighting candles in her room when no one was home.
The other day she’d been walking down the promenade. Minding her own business, when a big ugly demon came out and attacked her. She had defended herself, but c’mon! She wasn’t a slayer. Anyway, it got her cornered and one of its big claw-ey hands came up and scratched her on the face. And in that moment she knew, she was going to die. She closed her eyes and started to cry. Waiting for the final blow. She wanted so badly to be at home, warm in her bed, safe. She waited a moment, but nothing happened. She opened her eyes slowly, to see that she was, in fact, in her bed, at her apartment in Rome. But it was morning. The demon had attacked at night. She thought maybe she’d gotten away some how and fell asleep. But then her sister knocked on her door, telling her she was going to be late for school. She could’ve sworn yesterday was Friday. But she got up and changed her clothes anyway. She met Buffy in the kitchen rummaging through the refrigerator. She came back up with a piece of pizza and Dawn frowned. She could’ve sworn Buffy ate the last piece yesterday morning. That’s when it dawned on her. She was reliving her day. She went to her fist period class to make sure, and sure enough her professor taught the exact same thing he had before she got attacked by the demon that night. She decided to skip the rest of her classes. She figured, she’d already learned it. And she really needed to find out what was happening. How it was happening. She remembered seeing a magic shop a few miles from her house. They tried to be discreet having a name like ‘Tricks of the Trade’. But Dawn knew better. She peeked in one time and found that it was almost identical to the ‘Magic Box’. She headed there and went inside; looking for a book about what kind of mojo was going on. The owner kept giving her weird looks, like she were going to steal something. It was the same look Anya had given her after she found out she’d been stealing. She smiled at the memory. It also made her want to cry though. Xander had been so distant ever since he found out of Anyas death. He tried to cover it, but Dawn could see right through him. Just like she could see right through Buffy whenever Spike was brought up. She found a book titled ‘Ancient Prophecies’ and smiled picking it up. This would be the first thing Giles would look into whenever something mystic-y happened. She paid for it and headed for the park. She sat her back pack down on the park bench and started scanning the book. She stopped when something caught her attention.
‘And it will lose, and the lost will rise, and the line will fall. The dark will conquer and light will remain. Of the lost there is only one. One who can undo what’s been done, what is to come. It alone is the key to the balance of dark and light’

Dawns’ first thought had been *Can these things get anymore vague?* but this one felt right somehow. She did the next thing that came to mind. She went back to the shop to ask for a translation. The owner had given her a curious look before leading her into a back room of the shop. She met a woman with white for eyes. No pupils, just white. At first Dawn thought maybe the woman might be blind, but she’d proven her wrong when she looked directly at her and smiled saying “This one is light”.
Dawn couldn’t have been more creeped out by the woman. But then it hit her. She could probably see the key in her. The owner looked at her with a raised eyebrow and Dawn had shrugged and smiled weakly. He left them there telling Dawn she had 10 minutes.
“Sit down child” the woman told her. Dawn nervously took a seat in front of the woman. “You’ve come for your calling” the woman had told her, more of a statement than a question.
Dawn frowned and answered slowly “Actually I came to see if someone could translate this prophecy” she said handing the woman the book. The woman had frowned and took the book; she scanned it with her white eyes and looked back to Dawn “A translation?”
Dawn nodded sheepishly.
The woman handed her back the book “I cannot help you translate something that is in no need of translating. It states what it means clearly”
Dawn frowned; “Well I was wondering if someone could make it a little less… cryptic” she shrugged.
The woman had laughed at that. “Why is it you want to understand this translation dear?”
Dawn had looked down at the floor, “I guess it just felt right”
The woman smiled knowingly in return. “That is because you are the key” the woman told her.
Dawn frowned “I know I’m the key, been there done-“but the woman cut her off.
“No, you are the key to the undoing, your power will change things” she told her.
Dawn looked at her curiously “Power?” she asked.
“You are the key are you not?” the woman asked
“Well, yea but-“
“Then it is your power that will change things” the woman stated
“But I don’t have any power” Dawn explained confused
“Aw, but you do child, you used your power just today, or should I say tonight?” the woman inquired.
Dawn was surprised to say the least. How did this woman know she was living her day over? And how had she caused it?
“Your blood is you power” The woman said with a smile.
Dawns mouth got dry “My blood?” she croaked “But there was no blood-“
The woman had leaned forward and traced a finger across Dawns cheek where the demon had scratched her. How did this woman know all this? The woman sat back and put her hands in her lap. “You miss your home” she said knowingly.
Dawn nodded and looked to the floor.
“Go back” the woman told her
Dawns head shot up. The owner came back to tell Dawn her time was up. But she had so many questions she needed answered. The owner tugged at her arm and she reluctantly got up. The door reached her and she turned around, “How far? How far back?” she asked the woman. But she had only smiled in return.
So here she was now. Sitting in her room in the middle of her floor. Her eyes were closed and she had a slit on her arm. She starting thinking about her home, in Sunnydale, her bed, her room, her life. A green glow surrounded her and the last thing she heard was the sound of a door opening somewhere, before everything went black.
Bargaining...All Over Again by NvrBnKisst
Chapter One: Bargaining…All over again

Buffy walked into her apartment. She’d gotten off work early and decided to skip patrolling and come home. Not like there was anything to patrol anyway. Rome was defiantly a drag in her slayer style. Of course she didn’t really need to go patrolling. There were plenty of other slayers that could do it now. But it was a force of habit. And it was hard to give up what your life was based on. Buffy kind of regretted ever doing the spell. Sure she wanted a normal life, but once she got it, found out soon enough, it was highly overrated. She tossed the mail on counter and looked around.
“Dawn?!” she called out.
No response.
She frowned and went into the kitchen. She opened the refrigerator door to see if there was anything to eat and noticed the slight smog in the kitchen. She took a whiff and realized something was burning. She started checking out the house, trying to pinpoint where the smell was coming from. It stopped at Dawns closed door and she knocked on it and jiggled the handle. It was locked.
“Dawn?” she called from outside the door.
Still no response.
She pushed hard on the door, trying to break it down.

Andrew came in the house then and heard the commotion. He ran to Dawns room and looked inside. The door was slightly dented from Buffys struggle to get it open. Buffy was inside, crouched beside Dawns green glow-y form. She looked up when Andrew came in.
“Help” she ordered him, fear sketched across her face.
He rushed to Dawns side and helped Buffy lift her up. They were about to drop her on her bed when a bright light engulfed them, blinding them temporarily by its brightness. And then everything was black.


Sunnydale… 2001
_____________________________________________________________

Dawn opened her eyes. She was a little dizzy and it took a while for the black splotches that patched her sight to clear. She was crouched near a hedge and someone was in front of her. She looked around and smiled. She was at her house, back at Sunnydale. She did it! She looked to the black clad form crouched in front of her and frowned. Spike was looking around with a goofy grin on his face.
“Spike what are you doing?” Dawn asked, the situation not really registering with her.
Spikes smile faded to a look of shame.
Dawn took one look at him and without thinking, lunged at him. Tackling him into a hug.
“Spike!” she yelped excitedly. He was alive, and in front of her.
Spike narrowed his eyes and gently pried her off of him.
“Yea?” he asked slowly.
Dawn grinned up at him “It’s really you”
Spike glared at her for a beat.
“Bit, you feelin ok?” he asked cautiously.
Dawn ignored Spike and looked around at the familiar setting. Demon bikers where raiding the town. Her town. Homes were being destroyed and then it hit her. She was reliving the day Buffy came back from the grave. Why did her power have to bring her to this time? And how the hell was she supposed to change it? “Shit” she cursed under her breath. She got up and ran toward the street.
Spike called after her frantically but she ignored him and picked up a metal pole. She heard the sound of a motor coming on fast and she ran to it. The biker smiled to himself heading right at her without slowing down.
Spike called again and got up to run after her.
The biker was within a foot of her when she pulled out the pole and knocked him straight in the jaw. Making him fly off the bike. She ran to it and picked it up.
Spike watched the scene with his jaw hanging on the floor. She smirked at him.
“Come on!” she called.
Spike shook his head to clear his thoughts and ran to her, picking up a football helmet on the way. He tossed it to her and got on. She got on behind him and rolled her eyes. She reluctantly put the football helmet on her head and he sped off down the street.
“We need to get to the woods” she yelled up to him over the noise of the engine.
Spike glanced over his shoulder at her and narrowed his eyes. She kept her face resolve and he nodded and turned the bike in the direction of the woods.

_____________________________________________________________

Andrews head was light. He opened his eyes slowly to find he was sitting at a table with cards in his hands. He frowned. He didn’t remember playing cards. The last thing he remembered was being in Dawns room when she was all glow-y and then being swallowed by a bright light.

“Stop falling asleep and go! It’s your turn” Warren said agitated breaking Andrew from his thoughts.

Andrew looked up abruptly. His first thought, was the first. The first had come back and he was playing cards with him. But that made no sense at all. Why would the First want to play cards with him? Then he looked over to meet the eyes of an expectant Jonathon. What the hell had happened? And why was he here? Had he died and met his friends in some weird type of heaven. He looked around to see if there were any hot angles, but all he saw was star wars posters and a grungy basement. The lair. His eyes widened in shock and he looked back across the table. He shook his head to remain cool and looked down at his cards.
“Oh, um, go fish” he said.

Warren threw his hand on the table with a groan.
“We’re not playing go fish moron”

Real cool. Andrew looked at him, hurt by his name calling. Yep, this was the same Warren. The Warren that had killed Katrina and the witches’ girlfriend. The same Warren that tried to kill Buffy, the Buffy that he liked to call his friend. But why was he here now? Hadn’t Warren died?

“What year is it?” Andrew asked suddenly aware of one possibility.

Jonathon looked at him like he’d grown another head
“It’s 2001 weirdo, what’s your damage anyway?”

Andrew blinked a couple of times letting this new information sink in.
“There’s been a disturbance in the force and I was sent back to make things right” he said to himself in a low voice.

Warren and Jonathon both shot him funny looks and he grinned at them sheepishly.

_____________________________________________________________

The first thing she noticed was that all her muscles ached. The second was that she was standing in the woods, facing her own grave. The grave that had gone down when Sunnydale had been swallowed up. Why the hell was she here? What had Dawn done? This was the last thing she needed. But she had to admit, being back in Sunnydale was pretty nice, she’d never admit it aloud, but she missed the place. It held a lot of memories. The one she was re-living however was not of the good. A sense of dashavu overwhelmed her and that’s when she realized it. She couldn’t be back in Sunnydale, so she must be…What? Back in time? But how? She needed to find Dawn. First to make sure she was alright, and then to kill her.
She started walking in no particular direction when she realized she couldn’t see very well. She kept walking, stumbling every now and then on some unknown root or rock on the ground. She finally made it to a street and she looked up, trying to pinpoint where she was. She was near an ally, that much she could tell, and there were tons of bright lights, even though it was dark outside. Crap, she was back when the demon bikers were raiding Sunnydale. That’s when she remembered her friends. If it was the time she thought it was then right about now her friends were being attacked by said demons. She started to run in the direction she remembered first seeing them. Her legs hurt like hell, but that didn’t stop her. If she didn’t do things exactly right, one of them could end up dead.
She made it to the ally and saw it. Her friends were fending off an ugly looking demon wearing leather, and its face was all connected in weird places. She walked up behind it and tapped it on the shoulder. The demon turned around abruptly and smirked at her.
“Another robot to add to the collection” he said happily.
Buffy rolled her eyes and punched him hard in the face; he was sent back a few paces but still remained standing. She put her hands on her hips and gave him one of her ‘rush me, it’ll be funny’ looks.
The demon did just that and she blocked it flipping it on its back. She hovered over it and smiled.
“Is that all you got?” she asked “I mean, the facial, I’d really ask for my money back”
The demon growled and kicked her hard and she flew back into a dumpster.
“C’mon slayer” he drawled “Pretty little machine like you should know how to fend off a demon like me, but now you’re lying on the ground, helpless”
She glared up at him, and then to her side. She picked up a metal pole that had been kicked out of Xanders hand earlier and shoved it in the demons gut. She stood up and looked at her handiwork.
“Helpless?” she scoffed dusting herself off.

“Buffy?” came Xanders timid voice.

Buffy looked up, noticing then there for the first time. It was so weird seeing Xander with two eyes.

Xander looks back to the group “She’s Buffy. She’s herself again” he looks back to Buffy “You’re back Buffy, you really are” Xander steps towards her his arms open as if to hug her.

Buffy smiled up at him and closes the distance between them. Crushing him into a hug. She looked over his shoulder at the smiling scoobies behind them. Willow is the next to join in the hug, while Tara and Anya smile at the scene. Buffy meets Tara’s eyes and tears threaten to fall from her own. She’d never thought she’d see Tara again. Sweet, gentle Tara. And Anya, they’d ended on ok terms. She wasn’t exactly friends with her, but she wanted to be. She waved her hands at them for them to join the hug and their smiles grew wider when they obliged. It seemed like forever went by while she was in the arms of her friends. She finally stepped back and they followed suit.
Willow looked down at Buffy’s bloodied hands and frowned. Buffy caught Willows stare and looked at them too.
“What happened?” Willow asked motioning at her hands.
Buffy’s eyes grew wide with apprehension.
This time things would be different.
They had to be.


A/N: Please R&R
XOXO
-Anne
Bargaining...All Over Again II by NvrBnKisst
Chapter Two: Bargaining…All over again (Part II)

Dawn knelt before Buffys grave. If she’d have known this is what Buffy was going to have to live through over again, she wouldn’t have come back this far. Then again Buffy wouldn’t know she was reliving it. That was Dawns job. To change things. She looked up to Spikes eyes. She wondered if vampires could get older, because right now, he looked tired and weary and. he met her eyes and stormed off back in the direction to where he had left the bike. She could tell he was angry, but she couldn’t tell him Buffy was alive, he probably thought someone or something stole her body. And that’s how they found out their town was vulnerable. She wasn’t supposed to know Buffy was alive yet. She had to play it cool.

“Let’s go” Spike ground out through clenched teeth.

They were too late. Buffy had already climbed her way out. Dawn tried to remember where the next place it was that she had seen Buffy.
Oh god! Not the tower. She stood up and looked for Spike; he was waiting near the bike with his back turned to her. So she took her chances and ran off in the direction of the tower.

Spike started the engine and looked back to where Dawn had just been kneeling. She wasn’t there and he searched frantically around for her. “Dawn!?” he called out “Lil Bit?!” he yelled again. But the only answer he got was his own echo.

_____________________________________________________________

Buffy fell silent as the scoobies looked at her waiting for an answer. Her mouth fell open as a thought hit her.
“Oh God, Dawn!” she groaned and took off running down the ally.
Her friends called after her but she kept running. She turned a corner and a demon came at her. She ducked its blow and punched it in the stomach. She kneed him in the groin and grabbed his shoulders throwing him against the ally wall. A piece of metal impaled him as he hit it.
“Ew” she said. She took a couple more steps and looked up. There it was, the hideous thing she’d tried to forget after all that time. She began to run towards it when she heard someone in the distance and stopped dead in her tracks.

“Buffy! Don’t!”

_____________________________________________________________

Andrew sat back in his chair. Jonathon had given up on wanting to play cards and Warren slouched in his chair, obviously bored. Andrew was trying to put the pieces together. He remembered there being candles lit in Dawns room and he leaned in closer to Jonathon.

“Can you use magic to go back in time?” he asked Jonathon pointedly.

Jonathon shrugged “I guess, I don’t know for sure, you can use magic to create an alternate universe, so I’d think there’d be a spell for time travel.” He answered, not fully understanding his friends weirder than normal behavior.

“How do you know you can use magic to make an alternate universe?” Andrew asked interested.

Jonathon’s face got red with embarrassment “Just something I heard once” he lied.

There was an awkward silence between the three friends. Warren was the first to break it.
“So you guys wanna team up and take over Sunnydale?” he asked nonchalantly.

Andrew and Jonathon shrugged. “Sure” they said in unison.

“Wait NO!” Andrew yelled. Warren shot him a glare “I mean, um, that sounds boring” he covered.

“Money, power, women, these are boring things to you?” Warren asked with a raised eyebrow.

Andrew glared at him. Yep, Warren really was a bad guy. Badder than he could ever be. “Maybe”

Warren rolled his eyes “There’s something seriously wrong with you man”

“Yea cause killing people is so right” Andrew shot back, each word dripping with sarcasm and anger.

Jonathon stared at him mouth agape.

“Who said anything about killing anyone?” Warren asked suspiciously

“So that wasn’t part of your plan then?” Andrew asked coldly

“Dude, you’re psycho” Warren told him

“Were you planning on killing someone?” Jonathon asked, desperate to hear a yes or no.

“No” Warren lied, unable to look them in the eyes when he said it

“So the slayer isn’t a person then?” Andrew asked glaring at him

“You were gonna kill Buffy?” Jonathon asked wide-eyed.

Warren rolled his eyes

Jonathon glared at him “You were really gonna try and kill Buffy?!”

Andrew stood up from his seat and tugged at Jonathon’s arm.
“Come on”

Jonathon shot one last unbelieving stare at Warren and stood up to follow Andrew out of the lair. They started walking down the street, each lost in their own thoughts when Andrew suddenly stopped, making Jonathon run right into his back.
“Hey what are you-“ his voice trailed off as he stared at the scene just a few blocks away from them. There was fire everywhere and demons were heading out of town. Jonathon hid a little more behind Andrew watching the commotion nervously. Andrew started walking again
“Where are we going?” Jonathon whispered loudly

Andrew glanced at Jonathon behind his shoulder and smiled.
“Where we belong”
_____________________________________________________________

“Buffy! Don’t!” Dawn called out to her sister pleadingly. She was glad she’d made it before Buffy had actually climbed the tower.
Buffy had stopped so Dawn slowed to a jog. She stopped next to her panting and trying to regain her breath. Her body wasn’t used to this much exertion, she was going to have to train sooner than later if she wanted to be the way she was before she came back in time.

“You ok?” Buffy asked, breaking Dawns train of thought.

Dawns head snapped up. This wasn’t how Buffy had acted the first time. She met her sisters eyes “Buffy?”

Buffy put her hands on her hips and smirked “You mind telling me what the hell is going on?”

_____________________________________________________________


“Do you think she’s ok?” Xander asked the group as they walked back to Buffys house.

“She…She just needs some time” Willow told them

“What was wrong with her hair?” Anya asked

Xander shot her a look “Ahn!” he said warningly

“What?!” Anya whined “It was all dirty, and her hands-“ she added with a shudder. “To the looks of it, I’d say she climbed out of her own coffin”

The group gasped in horror and recognition.

“Crap!” Xander muttered “Our spell. Our resurrection spell worked like a magic charm. We brought Buffy back” He looks to Willow “Right where we left her” he said grimly

Willow and Tara held each other in shock

“But, she-she seemed ok” Tara said trying to reassure the group.

They started walking again.

“You think we should’ve followed her?” Anya asked worriedly

They all were lost in thought

“At least the demons are leaving” Anya piped up. “That means we won right?”

Willow clutched her stomach in pain. She’d been walking too much.
“Guys, I really need to- to sit down”

Tara stopped and set Willow down at a nearby curb.
Willow sat breathing unevenly as the group looked at her with worry.
Tara sat next to her running her hands in little circles on Willows back.
“You ok sweetie?” she asked concerned

“I’ll be fine in a minute” Willow said

_____________________________________________________________

“How’d you-“

“Were you even gonna tell me?” Buffy demanded “You were just gonna leave without a word? What if I’d come home and you had already left? Then what?” Buffy ranted angrily

Dawn hung her head in shame

“Can you at least tell me how we got here, and when here is?” Buffy asked, her voice calmer

“I’m still the key I guess, my blood still does stuff… and it was in a prophecy” she mumbled the last part

Buffy narrowed her eyes and they started walking “A huh was in a whaty?”

“I can show you” Dawn piped up, but her excitement faded and her face grew somber “Wait, Giles is already gone”

“Giles knows?” Buffy asked shocked

Dawn shook her head.
“No, but her probably owns the book”

“There’s a book?” Buffy asked completely lost

Dawn avoided eye contact.

“What?!” Buffy asked

“I don’t think I can look at you with a straight face when your hair looks like that” Dawn pointed out giggling

Buffys hand went up to her hair and she groaned “Is it that bad?” she asked

Dawn noticed Buffys bleeding knuckles and her expression turned grim “Did you have to-“ she trailed off pointing to Buffys hands

Buffy looked at her hand realizing what Dawn was meaning.
“Oh! No, a world of no” she assured her sister

Dawn was visibly relieved “Good” she said.

They stopped walking and looked up at the house their feet had led them to blindly.

They glanced at each other and smiled.


_________________________________________________
A/N: Spuffy coming soon!
Please R&R
After Living It by NvrBnKisst
Chapter Three: After Living It



They started up the walkway and tentavily stepped inside.
Dawn helped her change her clothes because Buffys hands still hurt.
There was a loud banging noise downstairs and they both looked in that direction.

“What was that?” Buffy asked alert.

“It’s Spike” Dawn said excitedly

“DAWN! DAWN! ARE YOU THERE?” Spike yelled from down the stairs

“I’m here!” Dawn yelled back, running off down the hall in the direction of the stairs.

Buffys breath caught in her throat and she stood frozen in place. This was her chance. To make things better. And Spike was alive. She checked the mirror to take one last look at her hair. She noticed not all of her buttons had been done up and she quickly did them and started for the stairs.

“Thank God. You scared me have to death…or more to death. You- I could kill you” Spike told Dawn pointedly

“Spike” Dawn tried to interrupt

“I mean it. I could rip your head one-handed and drink from your brain stem” Spike continued

Dawn smiles at Spike and he finally notices something’s up. Buffy appears at the top of the stairs.

“Look” Dawn says pointing to Buffy

“Yea? I’ve seen the bloody bot before. Didn’t think she’d patch up so-“ he broke off realizing it wasn’t the robot. He looked back to Dawn alarmed
“You-What did you do?” he croaked out

“Me? Nothing” Dawn told him

Spike looked back to Buffy, noticing her bleeding hands
“Her hands” he pointed out

“I was gonna fix em” Dawn defended

Spike couldn’t take his eyes off of Buffy and he looked like he was gonna pass out.

“Spike are you ok?” Dawn asked worried

“Had to claw he way out of her grave then?” he asked knowingly

Buffy nodded solemnly, still unable to form words.

Something snapped in him and he reached out
“We’ll take care of you. Come on” he guided Buffy into the living room, only stopping once to look back to Dawn
“Get some stuff uh, mercurochrome, bandages.”

Dawn nodded and went to leave to get said supplies but stopped short. Remembering that at any moment the scoobies would barge in. she quickly looked to the door and locked it. She smiled to herself and left to get the supplies.

Buffy sat on the couch across from Spike. He took her hands in his and held them as if they were glass, and he would break them if he held on too tight. She looked up to meet his eyes and he smiled weakly at her.
“Thank you” she said, her voice almost inaudible.
Spike reeled. His emotions were on all on time high. He nodded in response, not being able to find words.
They stared at each other for a beat.
“How long was I gone?” she asked, she knew the answer, but she wanted to hear him say it. To see the look of happiness on his face when he said it.

“Hundred-forty seven days yesterday. Uh, hundred-forty eight today, ‘Cept today doesn’t count, does it?” he says smiling a little.

She smiles back shyly

“How long was it for you… Where you were?” he asked

Buffy looked down, she wasn’t ready to tell them yet, but she knew if she wanted to change things, she was going to have to.

Dawn came in then with the supplies and Spike took them and began to dress her wounds. He stopped halfway through and sat up abruptly, obviously sensing something. “I should go, Family reunion and all” he said moving toward the door.

“Spike wait!” Buffy called after him

Spike stopped, his hand on the doorknob and looked back to meet her eyes.

“Thank you” she said

He nodded and moved to open the door only to find it locked. He frowned. He didn’t remember locking the door. He unlocked it and opened it, only to be bombarded by the gang rushing past him inside the house. He rolled his eyes. Tara was the last to come inside and she smiled weakly in apology. He nodded to her and left.

The gang rushed at her at once
WILLOW: Is she here?
ANYA: She's here!
WILLOW: You're here.
XANDER: We didn't know where you were.
ANYA: You ran away.
WILLOW: Buffy!
TARA: Are you okay?
Buffy tried to pay attention to all of them at once, but came up completely lost.
ANYA: You're not a zombie, are you?
XANDER: Anya!
WILLOW: Are you in pain?
XANDER: What do you remember?
TARA: What do you know about what happened?
Buffy looked at them and started to laugh. They all stared at her shocked and waited for her to finish.
“Guys, I’m fine” she told them
“Did you really have to dig out of your coffin?” Anya asked interested
“…I”
“It’s ok Buff, you don’t have to talk about it” Xander said “Hey do you want something? Anything. Pizza. I’ll get you Pizza”
“Buffy like’s pizza” Anya piped up
“Yea something to eat-“ Tara agreed
Willow looked at them “She doesn’t want pizza.”
“I just meant” Tara began
“Guys!” Buffy interrupted, forcing them to look back at her. “I think I just want to go to bed” she told them. They nodded in understanding and Buffy started up the stairs.
Once she was gone Willow looked at the group desperately “She seemed fine, she used to go to bed all the time!” she pointed out defensively
“I’m sure she just needs time honey” Tara assured her
Dawn smiled at the group. She’d never thought she’d see Xander with two eyes ever again. Her eyes then locked with Tara’s and she smiled.
She’d been the one to find her when she’d… but she wasn’t gonna let that happen this time. There was a knock at the door and everyone jumped. Dawn frowned. This did not happen the last time. She opened the door to reveal Andrew and Jonathon.
“Andrew?” she asked unbelievingly
“Hey” Andrew beamed relieved
Jonathon looked pointedly at Andrew “Isn’t that Buffys sister? Why are we at Buffys house?” he whispered
Xander stepped up behind Dawn “You know them?” he asked her
Dawn nodded “Yea, we um…school” she said. She met Andrews eyes ‘you too?’ she mouthed.
He nodded.
Willow came up behind Xander “Jonathon?” she asked shocked
“Wait, wasn’t he in the Matrix?” Xander asked
_____________________________________________________________
Buffy went straight to her room and shut her door. She tip-toed to the window and opened it. She climbed out and smiled to herself. This was a skill highly developed in her younger years and she was hell bent to forget it. She made it to the overhang and jumped the rest of the way down. She stood up and dusted herself off before taking off in the direction she intended to go. She heard noises at the front door and looked to seen Andrew and Jonathon there, talking to Dawn. She groaned, she had forgotten all about Andrew, but maybe this was a good thing, without Andrew and Jonathon Warren wasn’t a threat. She hadn’t been looking forward to a second round of the-nerds-stalk-Buffy-and-screw-up-her-life. She hid from their view behind her front tree. That’s when her senses picked something up. Something familiar. She peeked over to the other side of the tree.
“Spike?” she whispered shocked.
Spike jumped and turned around quickly wiping his face of the tears that had been falling uncontrollably. He narrowed his eyes at her
“Buffy what are you…?”
“Where you crying?” Buffy asked surprised
“What?! NO!” Spike defended.
Buffy looked to the front porch to see if anyone had heard his outburst and ‘Shushed’ him. To the looks of it no one had. She looked back to Spike knowingly, daring him to tell her the truth.
Spike sighed and looked heavenward “Maybe a little” he mumbled.
Buffy smiled, not that she thought it was funny that Spike was crying, just the fact that he was, for her. She still couldn’t wrap her mind around all of his millions emotions that vampires weren’t even supposed to feel. But he proved her wrong. She tugged at his sleeve and started heading toward the cemetery.
Spike was confused to say the least. Not only was Buffy talking to him, but she was taking him with her wherever she planned to go. Not that he was complaining, he just didn’t really understand.
“Your little scoobies don’t know you’re gone, do they?” he asked her suspiciously
Buffy kept walking “No…” she said guiltily “But they’ll be ok” she assured.
They walked in silence for a few moments.
“Are you ok?” Spike asked looking at her with concern. He didn’t know anything about hell other than the fact he wasn’t there when he should be. He didn’t know about dimensions and he didn’t know where Buffy had been trapped for all this time. He didn’t really want to know, but he cared about her well being and all that rot.
Buffy sighed and glanced over her shoulder at him, not answering.
_____________________________________________________________
Dawn let Andrew and Jonathon inside, with reluctance from the rest of the group. Andrew and Jonathon pledged to help out where they were needed and Andrew supplied information about Warren. Jonathon was a little angry that Warren had told Andrew all of this stuff and not him. But to the sounds of what Andrew was telling him, he was glad he hadn’t known.
Dawn told them they could stay in the basement and the gang had gone their separate ways. Willow and Tara to their room and Xander and Anya to their apartment. Jonathon and Andrew set up camp in the basement, calling it their new ‘Lair’ and Dawn had gone upstairs. She opened Buffys door and really wasn’t that surprised her sister wasn’t occupying it. She went over to the window and closed it, and then she went to the bed and without changing got under the covers. There she could finally sleep.
_____________________________________________________________
Buffy and Spike walked silently to the graveyard. Once they reached it Buffy sat down on a stone bench close to Spikes crypt and Spike sat next to her.
“Listen” Buffy began “I’m fine, really, it’s just… there’s a lot of stuff going on right now”
Spike nodded “If you ever need anything…”
“I know” Buffy said smiling slightly at him.
They stared at each other for a beat.
“Uh ... I do remember what I said. The promise. To protect her.” Spike began “If I had done that ... even if I didn't make it ... you wouldn't have had to jump.”
“Spike…”
“But I want you to know I did save you.” Spike continued “Not when it counted, of course, but ... after that. Every night after that. I'd see it all again ... do something different. Faster or more clever, you know? Dozens of times, lots of different ways ...” he looks into her eyes “Every night I save you.”
Buffy took his hand in hers and smiled “I know”
_____________________________________________________________
Dawn jumped out of sleep when the door burst open.
“Where’s Buffy?” Willow asked
Dawn rubbed her eyes “I don’t know, I think she went patrolling”
“So she’s not here?” Willow asked desperately
“No… Why?”
“But she was here, she was yelling… Didn’t you hear it?” Willow asked
Oh god! Dawn groaned that stupid ghost they made. She hated that thing.
“What did it say?” Dawn asked calmly
“I didn’t really understand it” Willow started but a scream from the other room cut her off.
“TARA!” Willow yelled rushing for her bedroom, Dawn ran after her and they stopped in the doorway.
“There’s something in the house” Tara told them pointing to the wall it had just been occupied at.
“Ok, call Xander and Anya, tell them to get over here, I’ll go find Buffy and we’ll figure it” she resolved. She went to grab her coat but Willow stopped her
“Dawnie, maybe you shouldn’t go alone, I mean…”
“I’m not old enough?” Dawn filled in sarcastically, heading down the stairs and for the door “Trust me, I haven’t forgotten”
Willow and Tara glanced at her retreating form, not knowing what to think.
____________________________________________________________
Buffy snuggled deeper into the covers. She reached over, only to find no one there. She sat up abruptly, trying to get her eyes to adjust to the darkness. She looked to the end of the bed and made out a chair, and then a form in the chair.
“Was wonderin when you’d wake up” Spike told her, getting up to light some candles
Buffy rubbed her eyes “Thanks for not waking me”
“Well, you were pretty beat” Spike pointed out “Willows getting pretty powerful, can’t get a good nights death around here” he said trying to get a response
Buffy snorted “Yea, well, that power is going to get her into trouble if she keeps using it like she is”
Spike sat back down in the chair and narrowed his eyes at her
“Like how?” he asked
Buffy reeled, had she said that out loud? She might as well give him the truth.
“I um, I wasn’t in…hell” Buffy said
He shook his head not understanding
“I, I think I was in heaven” she told him
His face grew grim with concern and then anger
“But it wasn’t their fault” she defended “They didn’t know, they couldn’t have known”
He got up angrily
Buffy reached out to grab his hand
“But I’m glad I’m back” she told him
He looked at her confused
“Second chanced and all” she explained
He nodded and sat back down.
She smiled at him and removed her hand but he grabbed it back and held it.
She smiled at him and then a thought hit her. That stupid ghost was showing up any minute.
“I have to go” she said standing up and running for the ladder.
He should’ve known she was only treating him nice out of pity. Right when he tried to get closer to her she drew further away. He shook his head and got up to go to bed when he heard something behind him. He turned around to see Buffy jump back down from the ladder and walk over to him quickly, he looked at her in surprise but before he could say anything she was kissing him. And as quickly as it began it ended and she was back up the ladder and out of his crypt. He shook his head to clear his thoughts. Had he just imagined that? His lips still felt warm and he realized then that he hadn’t. He smiled, maybe he was wrong.
_____________________________________________________________
“Buffy!” Dawn called out from the entrance of the graveyard. Buffy ran over to her confused
“Has it already happened?” she asked
“Yep, the ghostie attacked Tara and Willow, I told them to call Xand and Anya and I’d come and get you” Dawn said as they began their jog back home.
Buffy smiled “What did they have to say about that?” she asked
“I’m too young, bladi blah blah” she replied giggling.
They were almost to their house
“Lets just get this over with” Buffy said “There’s school tomorrow”
Dawn stopped “Do I haveta?!” she whined
“Yes!” Buffy said reaching the house and barreling through the door
Willow, Tara, Anya and Xander stood up from their seats on the couch.
“Willow, Tara, I need a spell, make this thing corporeal” Buffy said
“But how do we know that’s what were supposed to do? We don’t even know what…” Willow began
“Just trust me” Buffy said, she looked to Xander “Grab some weapons, stay alert” she said heading over to her weapons chest. She looked at it with disgust; she hadn’t gotten the new one from Xander yet. She’d just have to wait. She pulled out and axe and twirled it in her hands before heading up stairs.
_____________________________________________________________
“So she just knew?” Willow asked the group that had formed around the magic box “It just doesn’t make sense”
“What doesn’t make sense?” Buffy asked walking in
“Nothing, just um” Xander struggled for a cover, he held up a book “Words…” he looked around helplessly.
“Words are a lot of trouble for Xander” Anya piped in.
He smiled at her
Buffy seemed skeptical but she let it go.
“So, um, there’s something I need to say” Buffy began
“Did you get Dawn off to school alright?” Tara asked worriedly
“Yea, she’s, she’s there, um, this is more about me…” she continued “This is hard, so I’m just gonna say it”
The group listened with concern
“You brought me back; I was in, um…heaven”
Willow gasped and Tara leaned into comfort her
“But I’m ok, I’m-I’m glad you did… What you did” she told them truthfully
Willow came forward “Buffy I didn’t know” she chocked out
“I know, you couldn’t have known… but that’s not the point” she said stepping closer to Willow “I’m fine, heaven was um… heaven” she said looking at everyone around the room “But being here with you guys” she looked to Anya and Tara “All of you…it’s better” she said smiling a little
“…Buffy” Willow sobbed moving to embrace her friend. Xander joined in, followed by Anya and Tara.
__________________________________________________________
Buffy closed the door behind her and stepped out side.
“Buffy” Spike greeted
Buffy looked up and smiled.
“Spike”
She walked over to the crates
“I was gonna go in, but I heard you and the super-friends exchanging a special moment and I came over a bit queasy” he joked
She looks up at him
“Jealous?” she teases
“Not really a group kinda guy” he told her smiling, he sat down next to her
“I told them” Buffy said looking at the ground
“How’d they take it?” Spike asked
“Pretty good actually” she said
“Bloody idiots they are” Spike said through clenched teeth
“Would it be wrong of me to agree with you?” she asked. She was glad she was back sure, but if she had a choice in the matter, she wished they hadn’t have done it.
Spike looked over at her and shook his head.
They sat in silence for a bit longer
“I’m glad you’re here” Buffy told him, her voice barely audible
Spike narrowed his eyes at her “Could say the same about you” he told her, obviously surprised she’d want him anywhere near her.
She smiled at him
“Yea”

***************************************************8
A/N: Thanks for all the great reviews! Please keep em coming!
XOXO
-Anne
Not So Flooded by NvrBnKisst
Chapter Four: Not so Flooded

Buffy stalked her prey slowly and cautiously for fear of it hearing her. She gripped her weapon tighter upon approaching it.

“You’re seriously not gonna try and fix it again are you?” Dawn asked from her seat on the stairs

Buffy stopped her stalk and turned around agitated. Dawn held the phone higher for her to get a good look at and raised her eyebrows expectantly.

Buffy shook her head ‘no’ and turned back to the leaky pipe with a sigh “It’s money I don’t have” she told her wearily.

Dawn groaned “If it floods again I get to say ‘I told you so’”

Buffy stared at the pipe thoughtfully

“Maybe Spike knows how to fix it” Dawn said hopefully “I mean he’s been alive for how long? He’s bound to have picked up something useful”

“So I’m not useful?” Buffy pouted

Dawn gave her a look and remained silent

Buffy groaned and joined her sister at the stairs “You think he’s know about stuff like this?” she asked hopefully

“It’s worth a shot” Dawn told her “Plus Spike without a shirt and tools” Dawn added dreamily

Buffy frowned at her “You watch too much TV” she stared blankly at nothing for a moment “ok not a bad image” she told Dawn

Dawn giggled “I knew it” she announced proudly “So you gonna ask him?”

Buffy shrugged “Yea” she looked at Dawn grinning “But if he screws it up I’m so blaming you”
________________________________________________________________________

Buffy and Dawn emerged from the basement and into the kitchen.

“So everything fixed?” Tara asked

“No, it won’t fix” Buffy pouted

Willow and Tara exchange confused looks

“I’m going to ask Spike if he could try” Buffy explained

Tara nodded enthusiastically and Willow frowned

Buffy looked to Dawn “Get ready for school” she told her

Dawn pouted “But I already know…” she stopped herself mid-sentence and glanced at Willow and Tara “I’m on it” she covered hastily, leaving to her bedroom

Buffy walked over to the island and set her wrench down.
“I need a job” she groaned

Willow nodded sympathetically “I was gonna tell you about the money thing”

Buffy waved it off “It’s good, I know all about this money stuff, I’ll get a job, I won’t be broke” she said “Just keep me away from evil cow hats”

Tara and Willow nodded in confusion

Buffy looked up at them with wide eyes “it’s a thing” she explained

Willow stepped closer to her friend “Um, I was thinking, me and Tara, staying here, I mean we talked about it…” She trailed off looking at Tara for help

“We were thinking about paying rent” Tara explained

Buffy smiled at them weakly “Normally I’d say no, but if you guys really want to…”

“Oh, we want” Willow said too enthusiastically “We will” she smiled at Tara

“Yea, anything to help” Tara added smiling

“Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it” Buffy said. She moved in to hug Willow and Willow smiled and hugged back

Tara smiled.

“I’m off!” Dawn called from the living room. Buffy exited the embrace and moved to the living room

“Dawn!” she called

Dawn stopped and turned around “Buffy I’ll go to school I swear” she said annoyed

Buffy smiled and held up a brown bag “Lunch” she explained

Dawn smiled “Oh” she hugged Buffy and left.

Buffy turned back to Willow and Tara, “Ok, so who wants to help me job search?” she said too enthusiastically

Willow and Tara smiled at her and nodded.

“Good” Buffy said “We’ll start with the papers and then…go from there”

Willow looked thoughtfully for a moment “How did you know about the money thing?” she asked

Buffy shrugged nonchalantly “Just kinda figured it out” she lied

Willow frowned unconvinced but let it go

“Well, we have class in a couple hours” Tara began “But we can help you find a job until then”

“Great!” Buffy said “I’ll go get a paper and be back before you know it”

________________________________________________________________________

Buffy crossed the street to the mini-mart next to the salon. She stopped and looked at the salon window at her reflection. She looked at her hair with a sigh. She really didn’t want to get it cut again, but maybe a dye? Her thoughts trailed off when her spider sense picked up. She frowned and looked around at the pedestrians on the street, but no demons. That’s when she heard the scream from the Mini-Mart, she broke into a run and barged inside in time to see a demon scaring off customers and a man in all black stealing from the register. “Are you serious?” she groaned. She came up behind the demon and tapped him on the shoulder. The demon turned around quickly frowning at the girls posture. Buffy put her hands on her hips “Is that your master?” she asked indicating the guy at the register. The demon nodded confused.

Buffy turned around “Hey! Warren!” she called. The man at the register looked up scared, recognizing the voice instantly

“Slayer!” he greeted, hastily grabbing the rest of the money and took off in a run.

“She is the slayer?” the demon asked surprised.

Buffy rolled her eyes at the situation, she could either stop Warren from getting away or kill the demon threatening innocent victims. She went with the ladder and turned around to send a kick to the demons mid section. The demon hit the ground and Buffy hovered over him.

“Ok, cookie man, lets see what you got” she quipped getting in a fighting stance.

The demon grinned evily and stood up. He went to kick her but she blocked it and punched him in the nose. He staggered back a few feet but remained standing, he backhanded her sending her flying over the counter. The owner was crouched in a sitting position hiding behind it. He looked at Buffy wide eyed when she got up.
“How much are your papers?” she asked

The owner kept staring “one dolla fivety” he stammered.

Buffy reached in her pocket and tossed him a couple dollars. “Keep the change” she grabbed a paper on her way back over the counter and looked around. The demon was gone “Great” she mumbled leaving the shop.

________________________________________________________________________

“He still charged you?” Willow asked surpised after Buffy finished her story.

Buffy shrugged “Well, he did just get all his money stolen”

“But you saved his life” Willow defended

Buffy shrugged and opened the paper up to the job section. Tara came back into the living room with 3 cups of coffee. “So did the demon get away?”

“Yea” Buffy sighed “along with Warren”

“Warren?” Willow asked “The robot guy? Why was he there?”

Warren and Andrew came up from the basement then “That pipe is starting to make weird noises” Andrew commented

“Yea, we won’t be able to set up camp until it’s fixed” Jonathon sighed.

Buffy continued looking at the paper when she answered “Well you guys can sleep up here, I’m gonna ask Spike to check it out”

“Spike!?” Jonathon yelped afraid

“Spike!?” Andrew exclaimed excitedly

Tara, Willow, and Buffy looked at them surprised

“I mean, Spike!?” Andrew covered adding a fake shudder

“Isn’t he evil?” Jonathon asked “and a vampire?”

“He’s not evil” Buffy defended.

Tara smiled and Willow frowned

“Look, Spike is on our side” Buffy explained to Jonathon

Jonathon nodded in acceptance. “Sorry” he mumbled

______________________________________________________________________

“So this M’Fashnik is back in action?” Dawn asked the group who had gathered at the magic box

Xander picked up the book and looked at the picture “It could be Muh Fashnik” he said

Buffy walked in from the training room “No, Dawns right” she told the group

Dawn smiled “Like mm cookies”

Buffy smiled back at her sister.

“So what was he doing robbing a mini-mart?” Xander asked

“He probably wanted money” Anya piped in

“Warren robbed the mart, not the demon” Buffy explained “The demon was a distraction”

“Warren robbed a mini-mart?” Jonathon asked surprised

“Yea, I guess he didn’t need your help after all” Buffy mumbled

Jonathon looked ashamed as did Andrew

“So, it comes to my house tonight, I kill it” Buffy said simply

“How do you know it’ll come to your house tonight?” Willow asked

“That’s Warrens plan” Buffy covered. “I heard them talking” she lied

“So you eavesdropped, but you couldn’t kill the demon?” Anya asked sarcastically

“Um, yea” Buffy said lamely

“Oh” Anya said confused. The door at the magic box jingled “Welcome to the Magic Box please buy something expen…” Anya trailed off seeing Giles standing at the door.

“Buffy!” he exclaimed dropping his bags and rushing over to her. Buffy met him half way and embraced him.

“Giles!” she greeted

“You’re here, and alive!” Giles said unbelievingly “And still incredibly…strong” he strained

Buffy smiled sheepishly and let him go “sorry”

Giles took a step back to get a good look at her “I couldn’t believe when Willow called me, it’s still… sinking in”

“I get some taking used to” Buffy said

“Yes, well…you’re really here” he finished smiling

_______________________________________________________________________

Buffy and Giles were in the training room talking while the rest of the gang hung out in the magic box.

“She’s really happy” Xander said unbelievingly

“Do you think she’ll tell him? About heaven?” Tara asked the group softly

“She told us” Xander said looking to the closed door to the training room “So I’m thinking yea”

“He’s going to be angry” Willow said

Tara rubbed Willows back “It’s done sweetie, he’ll understand”

“But, I don’t want him to be mad at me” Willow pouted about to cry

“I’m sure everything will be fine” Tara assured

“Yea, just promise not to use magic as much” Dawn said

Willow frowned at her confused “Why can’t I use magic?”

Dawn looked up. She didn’t think she’d said it out loud “Oh…um, well it’s just” she stammered for an explanation

“You do kinda use it a lot Wills” Xander piped in

“Yea but for good reasons!” Willow defended

“I think what they’re saying is just not as much. Do things you can do normally, well n-normally” Tara soothed

“I do things normally!” Willow whined “I’m all about the normal”

“We know sweetie, it’s just magic is dangerous, too much of it can be…” Tara looked unsure of what to say

“Dangerous?” Dawn filled in

Tara nodded and Willow sighed “I know” Willow relented “I’ll try to cut back I guess, but I still want to help”

“And you do!” Tara assured “We all do”
_______________________________________________________________________

Buffy made a spot on the couch for Giles to sleep.
“Aw, very, um, whimsical” He commented on the girly sheets she was lying out

“Yea, it was all I could find” she said sympathetically

“It’ll do” Giles said helping her tuck in the sheet

“Andrew and Jonathon are staying at Jonathons house tonight” Buffy explained

“Yes well, them on the team is very, well, interesting to say the least” Giles said slightly confused

“Yea, I know, but they can help, they will help” Buffy said
________________________________________________________________________

Giles walked into the kitchen after talking to Buffy, Willow was at the stove baking cookies “Have a nice talk with Buffy?” Willow asked nervously

Giles nodded, not looking too happy

“Look, Giles” Willow began “I know what I did…it was wrong”

Giles nodded and sat down “Yes it was, do you have any idea…”

“Yes! I do” Willow interrupted “And I won’t, I won’t do it again…and I know you’re mad, and I feel bad, and I’m sorry, but I can’t help but feel happy that, that she’s back” she explained, reaching into the oven and coming up with a tray of cookies. She set them on the counter and began transferring them onto a plate.

Giles nodded without looking at her “Cookies won’t do any good this time Willow”

Willow looked as if she was about to cry “but…”

“You tore her out of heaven” Giles said his voice rising a little

“I know” Willow chocked out “I didn’t know…”

“No, you didn’t know, and the magic you are using you know nothing about” he cut her off angrily

Willow started crying “I know, and I’m sorry, I promise to hold back on it, I won’t do it again, I swear!”

Giles met her eyes and his anger melted into concern “I know a place, a coven, if you may, it could help you…”

“I’ll do it” Willow agreed “I just want to help”

Giles smiled a little and took a cookie
_______________________________________________________________________

Buffy sat on the porch steps with an axe whistling a random tune. A cigarette appeared next to her foot and she stomped it out “Those are bad for you” she commented

Spike came out of the shadows “Already dead luv”

Buffy smiled at him

Spike pointed to the axe “Waiting for the big bad mosquitos?” he joked

She laughed a little “No, the cookie man”

Spike raised his eyebrows and sat next to her “You hear the watcher in there?”

“Yea” Buffy sighed

“I guess you were right about Red using too much magic then” Spike commented

Buffy nodded “Yea”

They heard a rustling near the gate and looked up. The demon came into view

“That the cookie man?” Spike asked

“Yep” Buffy said getting up and charging at him. The demon knocked her axe out of her hand and back handed her sending her flying into Spike. They landed on the ground with and ‘umph’ before Buffy got back on her feet, helping Spike to his “Just make sure he doesn’t get into the house” Buffy warned

“Right” Spike said charging the demon. He landed a round house kick to it and knocked it down. Buffy ran to the axe and picked it up “Heads up!” she called tossing it to Spike.

Spike caught it and chopped the demons head off with one swift swing. Demon goo went flying

“That was so gross” Buffy said walking up to stand next to him

Spike made a face “That it was” he handed her back her axe and she took it with a sigh moving back to the steps. Spike followed and sat down next to her.

“You know how to do a full copper re-pipe?” she asked conversationally

Spike frowned at her “huh?”

“Never-mind it was stupid” she said

Spike thought about it for a moment “full copper re-pipe?” he repeated

“Yea” she sighed

“I ate a plumber once, we could see if anything stuck” he joked

Buffy laughed and looked at him “Be my guest” she said standing up and leading him into the house. They walked in silence to the basement and she showed him the problem

“Have you tried fixing it?” he asked

Buffy laughed “Not again” she said

Spike looked at her confused but let it go “I’ll see what I can do, you got any tools?”

Buffy smiled a little at him “You’re really gonna do this” she said surprised

“Well yea” Spike replied like a ‘duh’

Buffy shook her head and laughed “Yea, the tools are upstairs, and if you need something we don’t have I’ll ask Xander”

Spike nodded and looked back to the leaky pipe

“How about tomorrow” Buffy suggested

Spike nodded and followed her back up the stairs. Dawn and Giles were in the kitchen mixing all kinds of cereal together. They looked up surprised when Buffy and Spike came in. Dawn smiled and Giles looked confused
“Spike” he greeted

“Rupert” Spike replied he looked back to Buffy “I’m off then”

Buffy smiled and nodded he went to the door and she opened it for him, she put her hand on his arm “And thanks” she said

That was the third time she’d thanked him and Spike still didn’t quite understand it but he nodded in reply and left.

“So is he gonna fix it?” Dawn asked hopefully

“Yea” Buffy replied joining them at the island

“Fix what?” Giles asked

“The pipes, we can’t call the plumber cause we don’t have money and I wouldn’t let Buffy try and fix it” Dawn said nonchalantly

“Buffy why didn’t you tell me money was a problem?” Giles asked

Buffy shrugged “It wasn’t really a big deal, I’m getting a job hopefully and Spike can fix the pipes…”

“Yes, well I would have liked to know” Giles said “if you need money I could get…”

“Giles no, it’s ok, Will and Tara are going to pay rent, I really don’t want your money, we’ll be fine, really” Buffy assured him

Giles looked down unable to meet her eyes “Yes, I’m sure you will”
_______________________________________________________________________

The gang was gathered in Buffys living room the next morning.

“So you killed him?” Willow asked

“Yea, well, no, Spike did, but I would have” Buffy defended

“Spike was here?” Xander asked with slight disgust in his tone

“Yes, and he’d coming back today” Buffy told him with a hint of defiance in her voice, daring him to question her

“So he can fix the pipes?” Tara asked

“We’re gonna find out” Buffy shrugged she looked back to Xander “Could you bring some tools?”

Xander nodded still not understanding Buffys want to have Spike over.

The phone rang and Buffy went up to get it. After a few moments she came back into the room with a look of dread on her face.

“Who was it? What’s wrong?” Willow asked concerned

“It, it was Angel, he wants to see me” Buffy said

Giles came in the room to hear the last part “Well, you’ll leave for LA then, we’ll book a flight for tomorrow…”

“No” Buffy replied “Today and not LA, not here either, there’s a place” She explained “And I have to go now if I want to get this over with” she said grabbing her jacket and heading for the door “I won’t be long” she assured

The gang watched her exit.




********************************************************
A/N: Thanks for all the reviews! Please keep em coming.
I love reviews...they give me a happy :P
XOXO
-Anne
Life Cereal by NvrBnKisst
Chapter Five: Life Cereal

Angel and Buffy walked slowly down the path. They were in a secluded area right off the highway at the Now leaving Sunnydale sign. Fitting really, since that’s all Angel ever did. Leave. Come back. Leave again. It was all one major routine. One long, agonizing, painful routine. They hadn’t really said anything and Buffy was starting to fidget. Angel noticed and stopped walking. Turning to her and putting his on uncomfortably on her shoulder.

“Buffy, are you um…ok?” Angel asked. The question went two ways. The first noting her obvious nervousness and the second being her recent resurrection.

Buffy smiled a little at Angel’s uncomfortable concern. It was a pained but understanding smile. They could never go back to how they were; they were just too different now. They couldn’t be friends either, because that honestly never worked out. No, Angel was part of her past and she knew that. She reached up and took his hand off of her shoulder and held it in hers.
“Angel” she began softly “I’m great” she answered sincerely.

Angel was shocked to say the least at her answer, and was a little suspicious. People didn’t just come back from hell and be “Great”.
“Are you sure? Cause if you want to talk…”

“Angel” Buffy said more sternly “I’ve never been surer. For once it feels like I know what I’m doing” she said

He narrowed his eyes at her, really not understanding what she was saying.

“Angel, listen to me” Buffy began

He nodded and waited for her to continue

“You can’t come back here, you have a life, I have a life, and it’s too…” she broke off noting the hurt expression on his face

“Painful” Angel finished. Sure, the revelation hurt but he knew she was right. They both had to move on. He managed a weak smile at her and she smiled weakly back.

“So this is it” Buffy said softly, just saying out loud gave her more peace than she had ever felt before. She loved Angel, she really did, but she was in love with someone else.

“Yea” Angel said, sounding less than convincing.

Buffy noticed she was still holding Angels hand and she let it drop. He sighed and they started walking back to the highway.

“So how’s LA?” Buffy asked trying to make conversation

“It’s good” Angel replied “Sunnydale still the same?” he asked

“Slaying, good ol’ scoobies, overprotective watcher, and annoying little sister? Yea, still the same” she said forcing a smile

They reached the rode and Angel turned to his car and then back to Buffy
“It’s weird isn’t it? Us trying to talk like normal people?”

“Oh yea” Buffy answered with a laugh. Angel laughed too.

Angel moved in to hug her and she didn’t resist. She rested her head on his shoulder and knew that this was a goodbye hug. She felt tears sting at her eyes but promised herself she wouldn’t cry.
“Good bye Angel” she murmured against his shoulder.

Angel smiled and exited the embrace “Bye Buffy” he replied smiling a little. He turned to his car and got in. the engine roared and he took one last look at the girl, who was the love of his life. She smiled at him and he smiled back before driving off back to LA.

Buffy watched until his car was out of sight and sighed. She turned around with a renewed sense of purpose. She could get on with her life now. And she would. It would be totally great…

A vampire jumped out of the shrubs on the side of the road and growled at her threateningly.

Buffy looked heavenward and sighed “You’ve got to be kidding me”

*************************************************************

Buffy entered her house and put her coat on the rack. “I’m home” she called out. She walked into the dining room to see everyone sitting at the table with a bucket of chicken in the middle of it. Buffy pouted holding up her bucket of chicken she brought with her. She forgot the last time this happened they’d already eaten then too.

Dawn giggled and took the bucket from Buffy setting it next to the one already occupying the table. “It’s ok Buff, haven’t started” Dawn assured sitting back down.

“Yes, Dawn informed us she called you and asked you to get more chicken, we’ve been waiting for you to get home” Giles supplied

Buffy looked to Dawn with a raised eyebrow and Dawn shrugged in response.
“Yes, she called me…I just thought you guys started without me” she lied.

Willow and Tara smiled and shook their heads
“Nope, chicken at the late hours of the night is perfect” Willow assured

Buffy smiled and they all dug in. once they started Giles took a drink of his wine and cleared his throat. “Um, if I may” he started, trying to get everyone’s attention. Once he had it he looked to Willow expectantly.

Willow ducked her head and smiled “Um, Giles and I were talking and um, he says…I mean we think that it would be best for me to go to a coven”

Giles nodded “Yes, there is one, in England, it would help her control her powers”

“Not that I’m out of control” Willow defended

Giles gave her a weary glance and continued “No, but it’s better to learn how to control them sooner than later”

“Tara’s coming too” Willow said smiling. Tara smiled back and squeezed Willows hand reassuringly.

Buffy sat at the end of the table mouth agape. “Wow” was all she could say.

Dawn cut in where her sister left off “So you guys are leaving?” she asked

Giles nodded in response along with Willow and Tara

“But we’ll be back, it’s just for a couple of months” Tara said softly

Dawn smiled “Well this is great. I’m so happy for you” she said, getting out of her seat and going to the other side of the table to hug them.

Buffy stared at the scene not knowing what to think. She was happy for Willow, and Tara not being here when Warren went nuts, if he went nuts this time, was defiantly of the good. But Giles.
She looked back to Giles who was looking at her. “Will you be coming back?” Buffy asked in a low voice.

Dawn, Tara, and Willow stopped hugging to listen to the watchers answer.
Giles took off his glasses and fidgeted with them. “I may, um, I haven’t really thought that far”

Willow and Tara wore shocked expression and Dawn and Buffy looked at him with understanding sadness. This had happened last time, they all but expected it.

Dawn returned to her seat and resumed eating. Awkwardly everyone at the table followed suit and the rest of the meal was eaten in silence.

*************************************************************

Buffy and Dawn sat across from each other on Buffy’s bed.

“So you just told him not to come back?” Dawn asked

Buffy nodded solemnly

“You miss him huh?” Dawn asked knowingly

Buffy smiled a little “Yea, but surprisingly not as much as I thought I would, I mean I guess I’ve always missed him, but I knew he’d always come back, now it’s just really…over” she said

“And you’re not bent out of shape about it” Dawn finished

Buffy nodded and smiled meeting her sisters’ eyes “exactly, it’s like, I know deep down, everything will turn out better this time, I haven’t felt this way since I was in…”

“Heaven” Dawn finished softly

Buffy smiled “yea”

The Summer girls shared a smile and then went back to thinking.
“So Spike is coming tomorrow to fix the pipes? I thought he was going to do that today?” Buffy asked

Dawn smiled mischief “He was…” she began

Buffy raised her eyebrow at her expectantly

“I told him he could do it tomorrow cause you wanted to make sure he didn’t screw anything up” Dawn admitted

Buffy laughed “And what did he say to that?”

“He just kinda shrugged and then we played cards until Willow and Tara came home from school” Dawn said smiling “And now, you get to see yummy no shirt Spike” she added proudly. “Not that you haven’t already or anything…”

“You are so not going where I think you’re going” Buffy said warningly

Dawn giggled and jumped off the bed moving to Buffy drawers.

“What are you doing?” Buffy asked craning her neck to see her sister

“Picking out an outfit for you to wear tomorrow” Dawn answered nonchalantly

Buffy jumped off the bed and grabbed the clothed out of Dawns hand shoving them back into the drawer haphazardly “Oh no, no teenage slut wear for me, I can dress myself”

“Oh come on!” Dawn whined

“World of no” Buffy answered sternly shutting the drawer quickly

Dawn pouted “Party pooper”

Buffy smiled appreciatively and Dawn rolled her eyes. They resumed their seats on the bed.

“So this whole thing with Will, Tara, and Giles will be ok right?” Dawn asked “I mean, Tara not being here to um… and Willow being good with magic, it will all help right?”

Buffy scrutinized her sister and shrugged “I don’t know” she sighed “It seems kinda too good to be true, I mean Warrens out of the picture hopefully, Willow going cold turkey, Tara’s going with her, what else did we face this year?” she asked “I mean that’s all that occupied my time then, and now all the sudden the problems are solved, just like that”

“I know, it doesn’t feel right to me either. The woman I told you about the night we first came back here, she said something about me changing something, maybe it was supposed to be harder because it was just supposed to be me” she guessed

“Maybe” Buffy replied “I still don’t get it though, all this stuff happened that year, are you honestly saying all of our problems are fixed now? There had to have been something else…”

Dawn fidgeted in her seat nervously “Well, there was the whole thing with you and Spike…” she said quietly

Buffy nodded and sighed “Yea, I forgot about that”

“Really?” Dawn asked surprised

“No” Buffy admitted “I tried to”

Dawn nodded in understanding.

“Well how’s it going now? Are you two…you know” Dawn asked

“No, but I want to be” Buffy looked up at her sister then “I mean, not just that…” she covered “I mean, I want to tell him… but I can’t yet”

Dawn nodded again, her sister was one stubborn girl but she was also just that. A girl. Dawn knew all too well what it was like to be that.
“Well that’s one of the two problems we have yet to overcome” Dawn stated

Buffy narrowed her eyes “Two?” she asked

Dawn nodded “Xander and Anyas wedding” she sighed

Buffy pouted “How do we go about fixing that?”

Dawn smiled proudly “I have a plan”

*************************************************************

The next morning Dawn and Buffy gathered in the kitchen. Tara and Willow had gone to school and Buffy and Dawn were tossing cereal into each others mouth giggling. Giles came into the kitchen wiping the sleep from his eyes and they turned around saying ‘good morning’ in unison. Giles smiled and nodded in response moving to the stove to make pancakes.

“So, um, when are you gonna leave? For England, with Tara and Will?” Buffy asked trying to sound casual.

Giles didn’t turn to look at her “Two days, they’re collecting their work from school today and packing tomorrow, the plane leaves at 4”

Buffy’s face fell “Oh”

Dawn looked on with equal sadness. Giles turned away from the stove and extracted an envelope from his jacket. He handed it to Buffy who took it with a confused look.

Giles cleared his throat and began cleaning his glass “Willow and Tara wanted me to give that to you, it’s um, it’s their rent, they also paid for the months they will be in England” he said. It was a lie; the money was purely from him. But knowing Buffy wouldn’t take money from him he had come up with another plan of getting it to her. A lie, but a plan none-the-less.

Buffy’s mouth open at the amount of money in the envelope. “Wow, I really need to thank them” she said

Dawn came to stand next to her sister and ogle the money “Where did they get all that, and why is it all in cash? Wouldn’t checks be more, um, I don’t know, but isn’t it weird to have that much money?” Dawn asked

Giles cleared his throat “They didn’t want me to tell you it was from them, it’s just a way to help out” he lied.

Buffy and Dawn nodded in response.

Spike burst through the kitchen door then making Buffy and Dawn turn around. He threw the flaming blanket on the floor and stomped it out before running a hand through his hair. He smiled awkwardly at the group looking at him. Dawn started giggling and soon Buffy joined in. Spike looked around to see what they were laughing at and couldn’t find anything, realization hit that they were laughing at him and he looked back to them with a scowl on his face. Giles had even started laughing at Spikes entrance. Once they stopped he let out a chuckle himself and it started all over. Once everyone caught their breath (excluding the vampire who didn’t require oxygen) they went their separate ways. Giles out to the Magic Box, Dawn to her room beings it was Saturday, and Buffy and Spike alone in the living room.

“Um, Xander brought tools” Buffy said moving to the little toolbox that was located on the coffee-table

Spike nodded

“Um, if you need any help or anything…”

Spike nodded again

Buffy sighed “Ok this is totally weird”

Spike sighed and nodded again

“But when has my life ever not been weird, we can do this…it’s just fixing pipes right?” Buffy said, ranting to herself

“Um, we?” Spike asked confused

“I mean, how hard can it be? You and me in a dark confined space…fixing…stuff” she broke off suddenly scared

Spike narrowed his eyes at her in utter confusion

Buffy turned to face him and thrust the tool box into his hands “We need to get this over with” she said frantically, running to the door to the basement.

Spike looked down at the tool box and then back up at Buffy. He shrugged and followed her down the stairs. Once down, Buffy sat at the bottom stair and Spike moved to the leaky pipe. He shrugged out of his duster and put it over the railing noting Buffys wide eyed stare at the jacket. He went back to the pipe and looked to the toolbox he had sat down next to Buffy. He pointed to it “Hand me the monkey wrench” he said

She stared at him for a second before shaking her head and opening the toolbox. She peered inside of it for second before coming up blank. Ever since he took of his duster coherent thoughts went out the window. Dawn came down the stairs with a bag of popcorn and noticed Spike waiting for something. She reached into the toolbox and pulled out a monkey wrench handing it to him. He looked at her funny before turning back to the pipe. Dawn sat down next to Buffy on the stairs and offered her popcorn. Buffy smiled and reached her hand in never taking her eyes off of the vampire.
“Isn’t he supposed to be shirtless?” Dawn whispered to Buffy

Buffy smiled “He practically is, I mean, can a shirt get any tighter?” she whispered back.

Dawn noted the shirt and nodded in agreement

Spike smiled to himself and shook his head “I can hear you, you know” he said causing Buffy and Dawn to stare wide eyed at him.

Dawn giggled while Buffy looked mortified.

Spike began twisting the pipe with the wrench

“Uh, Buffy already tried that, it had a bad ending” Dawn warned

Spike turned around scrutinizing them “I thought you said you didn’t try to fix it?” he asked

Buffy elbowed her sister in the knee “On-on a movie, that we saw… it was bad, the pipe…” Buffy struggled to find a good cover up

“Yea, um, the movie, with the pipe” Dawn piped up

Spike frowned at them and looked back to the pipe.

Buffy and Dawn let out a sigh of relief and went back the popcorn.

*************************************************************

It had been one hour and Spike finally finished fixing the pipe. Surprisingly with no mess ups. Buffy and Dawn were shocked to say the least. A little disappointed he didn’t take off his shirt but happy none-the-less. Spike was just washing his hands, while Dawn was watching TV in the living room. Buffy leaned up against the kitchen island silently. Spike wiped his hands on the hand towel and turned around. He sat in the stool across from Buffy and smiled. She smiled back nervously.

“Hey, we should go somewhere to celebrate” Buffy said trying to sound un caring

Spike narrowed his eyes at her “Like, where, I’m not stepping into some bleeding Nancy boy mall” he warned

Buffy laughed and shook her head “No, like the bronze or something” she offered

He smiled and nodded. Still a little confused she would invite him somewhere of her own free will.

“Great, I mean good, and you should pick me up” she said

Spike was taken a back by the request and his mouth practically hit the counter

She smiled at his reaction “I like the bike” she explained.

All Spike could do was nod and get up to leave the house before his head exploded. He made it to the kitchen door and was about to run out when Buffy called after him “Around 8 ok?” she said. He nodded and was about to leave again “And Spike!” she called. He finally turned around and she tossed him his blanket. He looked embarrassed but nodded his thanks and left.

*************************************************************

8 pm rolled around…really freakin slowly! Buffy was so antsy she even scared Dawn, who was an actual ball of energy. But she couldn’t help it. Dawn kept calling it a date and even when Spike had finally arrived she called it a date and Buffy could’ve have killed her right then and there. The bike ride was…fun… ok let’s be serious, it was sexy, the way she had to hold on real tight, oh yea. But now they were finally at the Bronze and the fun had sorta withered down. Xander had a huge cow that Spike was there, Willow looked concerned but kept her mouth shut, and Anya didn’t look like she could give a damn. In fact Tara was the only one that was even nice to Spike. They were seated around their usual table and a fast song was playing.

Anya could sense the tension in the room between her fiancé and the vampire and decided to drag Xander off onto the dance floor.

“I should go” Spike said standing up to leave

Buffy grabbed his arm and tugged him back down into his seat.
“No!” she said sternly “We are going to have a fun, this is a celebration, Cel-e-bration! Meaning FUN! So we are going to have fun! Meaning no going…away…you stay!” she ordered

Spike shrunk back down into his seat and Willow gave him a small smile. She remembered Buffy having the same reaction when she wanted to give them a prom. Willow was a little confused she was directing her ‘Fun wanting’ at Spike but who was she to argue.

“Me and, um, Willow and I are going to England with Giles in a couple of days” Tara told Spike, trying to make conversation.

“Yea?” Spike asked interested

Tara smiled at him and nodded, and Willow got the hint to join in on the convo-making. “Yea” Willow piped in “It’s this witches coven, so we can learn how to um, control out power, it’s supposed to help”

“I’m sure it will” Spike said awkwardly, still surprised they were trying to talk to him. They smiled and he smiled back before looking around distractedly.
An awkward silence fell between the group and they sat trying to avoid eye contact with each other.
“Hey, I’m gonna call it in early” Buffy said getting up and grabbing her coat
Willow and Tara nodded and said goodbye.

Spike was trying desperately to find a way out of staying. First Buffy makes him take her there, he says he’s gonna leave, she doesn’t let him, and now she’s leaving, this night couldn’t get any weirder.
“Yea I’m just gonna-

“Spike are you coming?” Buffy called waiting at the door

He looked to her for a minute and then back to Willow and Tara who nodded their goodbyes. He sighed relieved and went to meet Buffy at the door.

Once they were back on the bike Buffy finally relaxed. Bringing Spike along for a night with her friends wasn’t such a great idea. She wanted them to like him, Tara seemed to. And Willow was close. But Xander, she had no idea how to get through to him. She unknowingly sighed against his back and he snuck a glance back at her.

“You ok?” he asked

She laid her head down on his shoulder “Yea” she said smiling.

If she kept acting this way he was going to have to pull over.

Her fingers started trailing a line up and down his stomach and he turned the bike over and stopped at the side of the rode.
Buffy jumped off in fighting stance ready to fight whatever Spike had sensed. Spike got off the bike and turned her chin so she was looking at him.

“What?” she asked “Why did we stop?”

“Buffy, what are you doing?” he asked removing his hand from her chin.

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked confused

Spike ran his hand through his hair in frustration “You keep… you’re being nice to me” he explained questioningly

“What?” Buffy asked crossing her arms “You stopped the bike, because I’m being nice to you?” she asked incredulously

Spike sighed “Well…yea”

“Spike, what are you trying to say? That I’m not usually nice to you?” she asked

Spike raised his eyebrows at her looking like ‘Duh’

Buffy shrugged “Right” she looked away from him “Well, why does it matter?” she asked

Spike tried to hide his disappointment “So it doesn’t mean anything?” he asked slowly

Buffy looked at him wide eyed “Whu-What? What would it mean?” she asked frantically

Spike sighed “Nothing just thought you might be… I don’t know what I thought” he said giving up and heading back to the bike

Buffy tried to hide her pout at his non-ability to explain and hopped back on the bike.

They reached her house and he practically sped off once she was at her door. She walked inside the house only to be bombarded by an over excited Dawn.
“Guess what!!” Dawn said bouncing up and down

Buffy hung her coat up and looked back to Dawn not too excited

Dawns face fell and she frowned “What’s wrong? Did it not go well?” she asked knowingly

“No, it went horribly, I think I actually made Spike feel like an outsider, and you know how is when he gets like that, it’s kinda cute, but it’s sad too” Buffy sighed plopping down on the couch.

“Well you can invite him over for a movie or something, just me you and him, or maybe not me, you and him?” she suggested.

Buffy smiled at her sisters attempt to cheer her up “So what did you want to tell me?” Buffy asked

Dawn resumed her early bouncing
“You have a job!”



*********************************************************
A/N: Please R&R and thanks for the reveiws so far!
Out of the Way by NvrBnKisst
Chapter Six: Out of the Way


Dawn walked into the Magic Box and almost got run over by a roller skating Anya.

“Oh! Good you’re here, we need more mandrake root! Check the basement!” Anya ordered skating off in a Charlie’s angle frenzy.

Dawn smiled and rolled her eyes. She passed Xander on the way to the basement who was unsuccessfully trying to make some brat kid believe he was a pirate. Dawn saw him with the eye patch and immediately recoiled. She walked past him and grabbed it off of his face earning a “HEY!” for her troubles and continued on her way to the basement.

She cautiously stepped down the stairs trying to adjust her eyes to the dullness of light. She reached the bottom and jumped. Spike was standing there looking at the top of the stairs not even noticing her.

Dawn put her hands on her hips “She’s not up there” she told him

Spike jumped noticing her for the first time. He faked like he didn’t know what she was talking about and held up bundle of vine looking things.
“Burba weed” he explained

Dawn rolled her eyes and reached for the mandrake root at the top of the shelf.

Spike watched her studiously and finally she turned around and looked at him expectantly. He looked away and sighed.

Dawn patted him on the shoulder on her way back up the steps.
“She’s at the Sunnydale Mart” she yelled down to him before ascending into the main entrance.

Spike smiled and tossed the burba weed back on the shelf making a hasty exit through the tunnels.

************************************************************************

The place was dark and dank. It smelled like plastic and cardboard, and Buffy was having so much fun. She picked up another box from the back room and put it on her cart. She then reeled the cart through the flimsy doors and went to work. She had recently got hired at the Sunnydale Mart as a boxer, well she didn’t exactly know the technical term for it, and she didn’t even remember applying here but she couldn’t be happier. I mean, the rates sucked but the pay was better than Doublemeat Palace and she got discounts on all her grocery needs. She wheeled her way through the store expertly finding the right aisle and moving down it like she owned the place. She took the first box and removed the tape before opening the box to reveal boxes of cereal. Tons and tons of cereal. Which happened to be on sale this week, so she’d have to use her discount to get some. She began stocking the shelves when a familiar British accent made her turn around and face the person she’d been avoiding for the past couple of days.

“What’s this then luv?” Spike asked, leaning up against the shelves casually

Buffy raised her eyebrows at him “A job” she answered like a ‘Duh’

“You work here?” he asked surprised

“No I just wear this apron because it’s so stylish” she replied sarcastically

Spike smirked

“What are you doing here?” Buffy asked her voice turning into a harsh whisper

“Thought I’d stock up on some…” he looked around to see what aisle he was on and picked up a of cereal, waggling it at her “Cheerios” he said

Buffy rolled her eyes and pointed at the box “Those are cornflakes Spike”

Spike turned the box around to read the front and sure enough they were cornflakes. He put the box back on the shelf “Right then”

Buffy shook her head and went back to work stocking the shelves. When she looked up Spike was still there. She sighed
“What do you want Spike?” she asked

Spike narrowed his eyes at her “Why didn’t you tell me you got a job?” he asked

Buffy tried to hide the look of guilt she knew had crossed her face. She hadn’t meant to not tell him, but she was with the avoiding because of the bronze incident and so she didn’t really have time to tell him. “Maybe because I’ve been busy doing it” she replied, regretting the snotty tone of her voice immediately. But that’s what came naturally to her when talking to Spike. That was the fun thing about talking with Spike, they could exchange hurtful things and they wouldn’t really be hurtful, because they were natural.

He looked at her quizzically and she turned away to avoid his searching eyes. how could he do that just by looking at her? Make her feel like he could see right through her. He probably could.

Spike looked down at the floor and then back to her tired frame “Right, I should go”

At his defeated tone, Buffy cracked “Spike I didn’t mean it like that” she insisted

“Alright luv, don’t need to tell me everything, you get back to work, don’t want to get fired” he covered his hurt with a smirk and looked up at the ceiling “Although I wouldn’t mind ditching the lighting, makes me look dead” he joked meeting her eyes again.

She smiled and he turned to go.
“I get off at 6” she told his back.

He pause mid-step to look back at her questioningly.

“Halloween, your night off from being evil” she explained

He still didn’t get it

“I get off early, you have the night off; we could do… Something” she offered

Was she asking him on a date?

Spike smirked to hide his surprise “Sure pet” he said. She nodded and he left the store.

Buffy looked back to her boxes. This was going to be a really long day.

************************************************************************

“Dawn? You home? I brought cereal goodness!” Buffy called as she unloaded her bags on the counter.

Dawn bounded down the stairs and into the kitchen

Buffy eyed her grinning, teenage, immature, sister suspiciously.

“Now don’t be mad” Dawn started

Buffy sighed, whenever Dawn started a conversation like that, she always got mad.

Dawn couldn’t stop grinning “I have a date” she finally exploded

Buffy wanted to slap the kid in the head and throw her around until she puked, but she refrained herself. “This guy isn’t allergic to daylight is he? Cause I’d figure you’d learn from that HUGE mistake” Buffy asked sarcastically

Dawn rolled her eyes at Buffy “No, his name is… Well I kinda forgot his name” Dawn said casually

“You forgot his name?” Buffy asked dumfounded

“Well, I didn’t really know him the first time around, but he was my lab partner today, and he’s really cute” Dawn said

“Oh, well then it’s perfectly fine, as long as he’s cute” Buffy said sarcastically

“O Come on!” Dawn pleaded “I won’t do anything stupid, and I saw him walk in the sunlight, and the party he asked me to, there’s no drinking, you can even get Spike to scare him first” Dawn said

Crap! She forgot all about telling Spike she’d wanted to hang out. She looked down at her clothes and winced, she was a mess. “I need to take a shower” Buffy said shoving the rest of the groceries in Dawns arms.

Dawn didn’t get her sisters weird behavior “You’re not trying to take away my boyfriend are you?” she asked jokingly “Cause I hated it the first time it happened”

Buffy sighed and went back into the kitchen “No, Spike, I told him we could…hang out after I get off work, and now I’m all dirty and stinky and…”

“And he’ll still love you” Dawn finished mockingly “Geez Buffy, he’s been around you with demon goo all over yourself and he didn’t run for the hills” she said exasperated

Buffy looked thoughtful “Eww, I just got a mental picture of demon goo all over me, not of the good” Buffy said shaking her head

Dawn rolled her eyes “Well, can I go to the party?” She asked

Buffy took a long look at her sister, and even though she was physically only 15, she was mentally older than that, she had the right to do things good this time too.
“Fine” Buffy sighed

Dawn jumped up and down “Oh my god! I love you!!” she exclaimed hugging her and running for the stairs

Buffy stood there for a minute before chasing her sister up the stairs “You so better no be heading for that bathroom young lady!”

************************************************************************

Buffy walked through the graveyard alone. It was cold, but she was on a mission. She stepped up to her target and then frowned. She raised her arm about to strike, but paused and put it back down. She stood in front of it for a few more minutes before sighing loudly. “Ok, it’s just knocking” she told herself, even though she was still unsure. She put her hand back up as if to knock but before she could even touch it, it swung open.

She smiled nervously at him “I was gonna knock” she explains

Spike seemed surprised to see her. Sure she’d asked to hang out, but he thought it was just a way to get rid of him faster. “Uh…” he stumbled a bit on what to say “Patrolling then?” he asked grabbing his duster and closing the door.

Buffy stepped aside so that he was standing next to her “Actually, I thought vampires had the day off on Halloween” she said

Spike frowned “Right”

They stood there for a moment in awkward silence

“So um, why are you here?” he asked confused

Buffy smiled shyly “I thought I said we could do something, after I got off from work?” she explained nervously

So it wasn’t a trick…or a dream “Oh, um, yea, what did you have in mind?” Spike asked, trying to get his inner William under control

“Well, first we need to go to my place to scare Dawns date” Buffy said “But after that, it’s up in the air”

“Nibblet has a date?” Spike asked, a hint of anger in his voice

“Well, yea” Buffy began guiltily “But she’s mature…sometimes, and she knows better” she said, trying to give away as little information as possible

“And you want me to scare him?” Spike repeated unsure

“Uh, huh, you know put the fear of the big bad in him” she said in a fake scarey voice

Spike smirked “I could do that” he said, ego aflame “bloody right I will” he said stalking in the direction of Buffys house

“Woa there boy, you don’t want her date to run away, just…you know scare him… a little!” Buffy warned

Spike sighed, here he was hoping to scare a little boy to death and, well that actually didn’t take a lot anyway, but he wanted to scare someone

Buffy thought of something “Ooh, and you could even go into game face, and say it’s a Halloween costume or something, he’d totally fall for it, and extra on the creepiness” she suggested helpfully

Spike smiled at her as they walked back to her house.

************************************************************************

Spike and Buffy sat on her couch laughing

“Did you see his face?” Buffy chocked through laughter

Spike laughed “Bloody priceless”

“Oh, and when you said the thing about getting her home on time or you’d tear his throat out through his ear… that was good” Buffy giggled

Their laughter died down and the house became silent.

Buffys nervousness returned and she reached for the remote “I think The Great Pumpkins on” she said

Spike eyed her suspiciously. She kept acting funny, he’d thought it was because of the whole heaven fiasco, but somehow coming from heaven didn’t usually make someone happier. But he’d never seen her so nervous, she was always acting the whole greater than thou bit, and now she was inviting him over to her house on Halloween, and that whole bit at the bronze
“What is this?” he asked. He hadn’t gotten a straight answer before and he was beginning to wonder if he should be looking deeper into it.

Buffy stared at the TV “It’s the great pumpkin, you know where…”

“No, I mean us” Spike said a bit frustrated

Buffy sighed and turned the TV off. She needed to be straight with him, she needed to be honest, and she really needed it out of the way “Look, I want to be friends” she began

Spikes face fell a little, he wanted to be her friend, but it was bloody hard when she was always being nice to him. He loved her, and he knew she couldn’t really ever love him back, he didn’t expect her to, but being friends... Well they could never really be friends.

“But, I mean, I want to be more too” she blurted out

Spikes eyebrows raised to the roof in shock

“I mean, after the friend thing” she said nervously. Last time she rushed into something with him…well let’s just say it didn’t end well. She could tell she was confusing him even further and she hadn’t really meant to. But if she up and said she loved him, he probably wouldn’t believe her. And she expected that much.

“So this” Spike said gesturing the TV and the couch and then between them “Is us, being friends?” he asked unsure

“Right” Buffy said unconvinced

“Right” Spike repeated softly

Buffy went to pick up the remote, but Spikes hand stopped her. She looked up to meet his eyes, and she couldn’t wait anymore. She kissed him, and he kissed her back. Friends be damned!

************************************************************************

“So that guy was your sister’s boyfriend?” Brad asked

Dawn smiled “Oh yea” she answered proudly

************************************************************************

Xander fell to the floor after a long days work helping out at the magic box. Anya was at the counter, counting her money and doing a sexy dance.

Giles, Tara, and Willow were all in England, Buffy was at home, and Dawn was at a party.

It seemed more and more he was left with Anya. And she was always there for him. She never judged him, and she stood up for him. She was his girl… but after all this time, he still wasn’t sure he was ready. He needed to give her the life she deserved and if he couldn’t, then she’d be better off without him, and he wanted to be with her, and he wanted her with him. He couldn’t just give her up.

He spied a necklace on the counter “Honey, did someone forget to take this home?” he asked

Anya looked up from counting her money “Oh, I don’t think so, just put it back on the shelf” she said

Xander looked around confused

Anya sighed and pointed to the shelf she meant. Xander nodded and walked over to the glass case. He found the empty slot where the necklace went and picked up the piece of paper that was under it.

Sweets talisman, dances, songs, the truth

He looked back up at Anya and then back at the talisman.

He needed to be sure.


***********************************************************88
A/N: sorry i haven't updated in a while, i hope you all enjoy this chapter... please R&R
XOXO
-Anne.

oh and to anyone who cares, i've been nominated for my story A Change Here
You can read my story A Change Here
Thanks for all who nominated me!
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=5714