Bringing It All Back Home by lucky021
Summary: Buffy Summers needs a job. Spike Bennett owns a club. When he hires her, he realizes he's got too many problems without adding his growing feelings for her to them.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Violence, Adult Language, Sexual Situations, Child Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 13903 Read: 8278 Published: 01/23/2005 Updated: 03/26/2005

1. Prologue by lucky021

2. Disappointments by lucky021

3. Interesting by lucky021

4. Take It Slow by lucky021

5. First Date by lucky021

6. Interlude by lucky021

7. Questions Without Answers by lucky021

Prologue by lucky021
A/N: I've wanted to get this fic out for a while, but I didn't have time until now. Hope you all like it. Reviews are more than appreciated.

***

"C'mon baby, you sure you don't wanna dance?"

Buffy Summers grimaced and turned her head. "For the last time, no thanks."

She started to walk back toward the bar when he grabbed her arm. At that point she'd had enough. Not caring about the possibility of being kicked out of her favorite club, she grabbed her aggressor's arm and twisted it behind him.

Before the drunken frat boy knew what had hit him, his nose was bleeding, his jaw was aching and he was on the floor with that blonde's heel digging into his back.

"I think you broke my nose, you bitch!"

Buffy was about to retort when she realized that she had drawn the attention of his equally inebriated friends, and by the look of them, she didn't think they were the "we don't hit girls" types.

"Shit," she muttered under her breath before turning and attempting to grab her friend Willow who was chatting up the DJ.

"We gotta go."

"What? Why?... Buffy, I'm kinda in the middle of something here," she said, gesturing to the girl in the DJ booth.

"Will, at any other time, I would say good for you, right now, I've got some seriously pissed off-"

"There's that bitch!"

Buffy winced and glanced apologetically at Willow before turning to face the crowd that had gathered.

"Hey guys, let's be reasonable. I won't kick your asses, you don't get kicked out."

She didn't get much for a response, the lead drunk lunged at her with a curse she ducked and turned, knocking him on the back of the head, causing him to fall into a table, knocking it and some chairs over.

She cringed at the sight and the noise, knowing it wouldn't be much longer before a bouncer showed. As she watched her first attacker start to pull himself up she didn't see one come up behind her until it was too late. She heard Willow yell her name, but his arms were around her waist. He lifted her and she kicked her legs trying to get loose, but he tossed to the side and into another table.

She knew she was going to have some pain the next morning, but now she was pissed. She came up swinging and caught the first guy in the jaw, sending him down, probably for the remainder of the fight. And then she saw him.

"Shit. Shitshitshit!"

Gunn, the bouncer, was now joining in. Apparently the frat guys didn't recognize him, or were too drunk to, and were fighting back, thinking Gunn was on her side.

She didn't think he'd seen her yet, and he seemed like he was calming them down, maybe she could get away without any trouble. She grabbed her purse and Willow and made a dash for the exit. Just as she tried to dart through, the most gorgeous man she'd ever seen stepped in front of them.

"Nice try, luv, but I don't think so."

"And who are you?" she asked snidely, her hormones dampened by annoyance.

"Spike." She didn't react and he sighed. "Spike Bennett. I own this place. And you just broke a few of my tables."

"Well, technically, I only broke one, the others were all-"

"Point is, I hate fighting in my club. People don't like to come back if they get their faces rearranged, I've found."

"Look, I'm really sorry, but in all fairness, I didn't-"

"I'm not here to lecture. And don't look so frightened, I'm not going to kick you out. You want to come with me to my office so we can talk?"

She glanced nervously at Willow, not sure what he was looking for and he seemed to pick up on it. "Bring you're friend. No funny business, I promise."

"I guess."

He smiled and led them back to his office. It was nice not to have to yell over the music, and now that the adrenaline was wearing off her body was starting to ache, and sitting on his comfy couch was looking good right about then.

She eased herself down into the cushions with a grimace. "So what's the what?"

He smiled and grabbed an ice pack and a bottled water from a fridge near his desk. "Here you are, I'm sure you're starting to feel a little bit of that now." He handed the water to Willow. "And for you."

Thay thanked him quietly and Buffy cradled her bruised fist against the ice.

"Where'd you learn to fight like that?"

Buffy shrugged. "Took a lot of martial arts stuff when I was younger, then my dad started to train me for kickboxing."

"You two go to the university here then?"

They nodded. "Willow's actually in the graduate program now. I'm still not sure what I'm doing."

He smiled and shook his head when he caught himself staring. "Um.. you need a job by any chance?" he asked, looking just above her head.

"Excuse me?"

"Look, I've got Gunn, and he's great, but I need someone else, and having a woman around would be ideal. You can make sure the ladies aren't packing, Gunn's not really allowed to feel them up, even if it is for safety reasons."

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, of course. I mean, you don't have to work every night if that's a problem, but three or four times a week? And we can negotiate pay, I-"

"I'll take it."

"Really?" he asked smiling.

"Yeah really, I've been trying to find a decent job, the only luck I've had is at Doublemeat Palace."

He chuckled and stuck out his hand. "So we've got a deal?"

She shook his hand enthusiastically and hugged Willow. "This is so great, you don't know how much of a life saver this is. I thought I was going to have to give up going out."

"Glad I could help. Can you come by tomorrow night to finalize the details?"

"Yeah, that's fine." She and Willow stood and Buffy handed him back the ice pack. "Thanks again, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah," he said, wishing there was some way to keep her around for longer. "And no problem."

***

Spike sat at his desk finishing up with the money for the night when he heard a knock.

"Come in."

Tara slipped into the office and pulled up a chair next to the desk. "Good night?"

Spike nodded absentmindedly and closed the safe. "I hired a new bouncer."

"Oh yeah? Who... wait, is that why you brought those two girls back here?"

He nodded. "You see what she did to those wankers?"

Tara chuckled and nodded. "What did you think of her friend?"

He shrugged. "Didn't really get to know her, why?"

Tara just shrugged and touched one of the picture frames on his desk. "How are things going with Dawn?"

Spike swallowed and sat back. "I've got to talk to some lawyers next week. Wes is going to help me."

Tara covered his hand with hers. "We're all here for you. It's going to work out."

He nodded and cleared his throat before standing up. "I know. I should get going."

Tara understood his need for distance and stood with him. "I'll see you tomorrow, Spike."

He nodded and watched her leave the office before picking up the picture of his daughter. "I promise I'll get you back, bit." He swallowed back some tears and grabbed his coat before leaving the office.
Disappointments by lucky021
A/N: I'm writing shorter chapters than I usually do, but I hope this way I can keep going with steady updates and not get burned out. Thanks so much for all the great reviews, and please keep them coming.

***

Spike banged his palm against the steering wheel in his car for the hundredth time. He'd been sitting outside his ex-in-laws' home for almost thirty minutes. They probably knew he was out there, and they were probably coming up with a lot of terrible reasons for his hesitation, but there was just one simple thing keeping him out.

He itched for a cigarette, but there was no way he was going to walk in smelling like he'd been smoking. That would just add more fuel to the current inferno. He sat back and took a few deep breaths before opening the door and made his to the door.

The door opened before he could knock and he flinched when he encountered cold, angry eyes. "Hello, Darla."

"You're late."

"Yeah, I'm sorry, just trying to get some things together."

She rolled her eyes and stepped aside to allow him to walk through. "Is she ready to go?"

"I wasn't sure if you were going to show, so no. She's in her room, probably crying because her father let her down again."

He clenched his fists at his side and refused to turn and look at her. She was obviously itching for a fight, and he knew there was nothing that could help her more than him losing his temper.

"I guess I'll have to go assure her that something like that will never happen again." He didn't wait for her to respond and made his way to his daughter's bedroom, hoping to avoid Ethan. He was lucky and slipped into Dawn's room with incident. He found her taking her clothes out of her overnight bag and putting them away in her dresser.

"Hey, little bit. I'm so sorry I was late."

"Daddy," she said brightly, a wide grin spreading across her face.

He opened his arms and pulled her to him. "Want me to help you get ready?"

She nodded and stepped back and he helped her repack her bag. "I got a movie for us tonight, and some of that awful pink ice cream you like."

"Did you find out when I get to come stay with you for good?"

Spike swallowed and avoided her eyes. "Let's hurry up and get home and we'll talk about it."

Dawn's face fell and Spike knew she was too smart to fall for his attempt at delaying the bad news. He cursed himself, wishing he were a better liar.

"Would you like to stop and see uncle Angel before we go home?"

She smiled, but he could tell it was a little forced. "He's back from his trip?"

"Yeah and I'm sure he's got a bunch of presents to spoil you with."

Dawn shoved the rest of her clothes in quickly and stood. "I'm ready."

Spike grinned and took her hand, thankful that something could make her happy for a while longer.

***

"Thanks for having us over, I couldn't take her home yet."

Cordelia smiled warmly and refilled his coffee cup. "Angel adores her, and you're always welcome." She paused and he knew what was coming. "You can't avoid it forever."

He sighed and felt like crying, but he wouldn't do it now, not in front of Cordelia. She and Angel had seen him at his most vulnerable, and he wasn't keen on reliving that experience. "Tonight. I'll tell her. It's not the end, but maybe I shouldn't tell her about all this shit anymore. Just gets her down when it falls through."

"Spike, it's not your fault. Yes, seven years ago you made some stupid decisions, but you were young and you were just getting over Dru's death. If some asshole judge can't see that Dawn loves you and that you're a fabulous father... It's just not your fault so much anymore."

He nodded shakily and took a deep breath to keep himself calm. "Thanks."

Cordelia moved around the kitchen counter and wrapped an arm around his shoulder before kissing his forehead lightly. "It's going to be ok. Angel and I are going to do everything we can to help, and Wes will work this out. He's the best."

"That he is."

"But Spike needs a miracle, isn't that right?"

Spike smiled sadly as his cousin walked in the room. "She and Connor playing?"

"Yeah, she seems to like all the stuff we brought back for her."

"Just trying to show me up. Bastard."

Angel chuckled and squeezed Spike's shoulder as he passed him. "You doing ok?"

Cordelia shot him a look and Angel shrugged.

"I'll be fine, just worried about Dawn."

"Kids are resilient. She's not going to be mad at you, she'll understand."

"Yeah, because me fucking up is just par for the course." His jaw clenched and he ran a shaking hand through his hair. "Fuck. I'm sorry."

"Did Darla say something to you?"

"What the bloody hell do you think? Can't let me forget a goddamn thing. Every bad decision I've ever fucking made she reminds me of every chance she gets."

"You can't let her get to you. She's trying to make you crack so that she can use it against you in court."

"I know. It makes it a hell of a lot harder to know she's right."

Angel put a hand on his cousin's back and sighed, unable to find anything to say.

***

"Hey bossman, you wanted to see me?"

Spike looked up from his paperwork and smiled brightly. "Come on in, pet."

Buffy settled herself on the corner of his desk.

"I just wanted to see how you were settling in, if there's anything you need."

Buffy shook her head. "No, I love this place. And everybody's been really welcoming."

Spike nodded his head and sat back. "No problem with the hours?"

"Nope."

They settled into comfortable conversation after that about themselves and work. Buffy realized that she'd been working at the Bronze for three weeks and the only person she had left to get to know was Spike. She'd been attracted to him when she first saw him, but after that night she'd seen very little of him.

It was nice to find that they could talk easily and even flirt a little. She noticed the picture of the little girl on his desk and picked it up.

"Who's this?"

Spike tensed slightly and shifted slightly away from her. "That's Dawn. She's my daughter."

"She's adorable. How old is she?"

"Eight. Started a little young."

Buffy nodded, still looking at the picture. "So you were eighteen?"

"Nineteen. Finished my first year of college just in time to see her born." Spike was surprised at how comfortable he was talking about this with Buffy. Most of his employees at the Bronze knew the whole story, but only because they'd seen it for themselves. He didn't talk about it with them, though. Not Dawn unless it was good news, which it rarely was, and never, ever, did he talk about Dru.

"And what about her mother?"

Spike swallowed. "She... she's actually.. umm.. she wasn't well after Dawn was born and-"

"It's ok, Spike," she whispered, her hand covering his. "You don't have to tell me anything else if you don't want to."

He nodded. Part of him wanted to spill out everything to her, it might feel good to let someone take some of the weight off for a moment. He'd never really talked out his feelings about the whole ordeal with anyone. People knew things because they saw what happened, but no one asked Spike what he felt about it except Angel and Cordelia, and Tara. He'd never told them anything, however.

"I am here, though.. if you ever do need to talk, I mean," she said, seemingly reading his mind.

He turned his hand over so that he could lace her fingers with his. "Thank you. I may take you up on that offer."

She smiled and stood, squeezing his hand before letting it go. "I better get going, I've still got some work to do before tomorrow." She leaned over and kissed his cheek softly. "I'll see you later, Spike."

He just nodded, as his throat felt too tight to respond. He watched her leave and stayed there long after she was gone.
Interesting by lucky021
A/N: The reviews have been great, I'm glad people are liking this. This chapter should clear up a few things, but there will be a little more to come. Please, keep the reviews coming, and enjoy.

***

Spike smiled as he stepped out of his car carrying a bunch of flowers and a small stuffed bear. His shift at the Bronze had been hell, but now he had three days off to spend with the two most important people in his life. He'd felt a little off today, and Dru hadn't been in the best state of mind when he'd left home, but then, she hadn't been very happy since Dawn was born.

He shook the bad feelings off and climbed the stairs to their small apartment. As he got closer he could hear a baby crying. He knew that it was Dawn. It shouldn't have scared him so much, babies cried all the time, but the awful nagging feeling the back of his mind was pushing its way forward. He tried to door but it was locked. He dropped the flowers and bear and struggled to get his keys out of his pocket. Throwing the door open, he ran inside, his stomach dropping as he saw Dawn wailing in her playpen alone.

"Dru?" He picked up his daughter and tried to calm her, rubbing her back soothingly. "Shh, 's alright, nibblet."

Dawn's cries lessened as she clung to her father. "Dru, baby, you here?"

His heart beat hard against his chest when he received no answer. "Where's mummy, Dawn?" he whispered against her hair. Dawn just closed her eyes and leaned against his shoulder.

Spike took a few deep breaths trying to calm himself. A million thoughts raced through his head. She could have had to run out for a moment, she could be asleep, she slept a lot nowadays. His feet felt like lead as he moved closer to their bedroom. His hand shook as he reached out to push the door open, unconsciously he tightened his arm around his daughter.

He could have believed she was asleep if her eyes were closed. His whole body shook, and the last rational part of him understood that he was holding Dawn and that he couldn't collapse. He squeezed his eyes shut and sucked in a breath, holding it until he could place Dawn in her crib.

He didn't make a sound as he moved toward their bed and sat next to her. His hand moved shakily toward her eyes.

Suddenly she darted up, grabbing his shoulders and shaking him. "You let this happen! How could you let this happen to our family?!"

Spike's sat up with a gasp. He cradled his face in his hands and allowed himself to sob, knowing no one was there to hear. "I'm sorry, Dru," he whispered into his hands.

He swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood on shaky legs, knowing he would be unable to fall back to sleep. He made his way into the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face, trying to calm down.

The nightmares about that night weren't as frequent as they had been during the first three years without her, but each time they came he could never go back to sleep. It was the worst night of his life, and the beginning of the worst year. He'd lost everything with Dru: Dawn, his job, school, and nearly his mind.

He walked into the kitchen and poured himself a glass of whiskey. It probably wasn't the best way to deal with things, but he'd stopped drinking himself into oblivion after reminders like this one, and he was able to have a drink to soothe his frayed nerves without going overboard.

He swallowed most of it in one gulp, trying to chase away the voices in his head that told him he should have gotten her more help with her depression, that he never should have left her alone that morning, that he should have listened to his gut and gone home.

He was mostly done blaming himself at this point. Seven years later, he may still have dreams, they may still shake him up, but he was ready to move on.

For himself, and for Dawn.

***

"Hey Wills, come on in." Buffy stepped back and lifted the rope, allowing the redhead to make her way inside.

"So is-"

"Yes, Tara is here," she replied with a smile. "I think she's waiting for you to show up."

Willow took a deep breath and smoothed her skirt. "Do I look-"

"You look fantastic, now go in there and make your move." She gave Willow a little shove and watched as she approached the DJ stand with a shy smile.

"It's about time she got a little play."

"Tara?"

Gunn nodded. "I haven't seen her this pumped about anyone in a long time."

"Willow's the same way. Her last relationship ended in a bad way, so I think this is a good step."

"What about you?"

Buffy turned and looked at her partner. "What about me... what?"

Gunn smiled. "What about your last relationship?"

Buffy averted her eyes and laughed bitterly. "A world of bad. Actually, more like a universe."

"Mind if I ask what he did?"

Buffy leaned against the wall behind her and looked up, finally meeting his eyes. "It was both of us. I don't think I ever really loved him, and he didn't either, so..."

"So?"

"So he started paying girls to..." She trailed off and Gunn nodded.

"Yeah, I guess that is universe worthy."

Buffy shrugged. "And since we're sharing?"

Gunn sighed. "You met Wes?" Buffy nodded. "You met his girlfriend?" She nodded again.

Gunn gave her a knowing look and Buffy looked confused for a moment before her eyes widened. "Fred?"

He shrugged. "What happened?'

"Just didn't work out. It was bad there for a while after everything, but we all moved on."

"You guys are all friends still?"

"Everybody around here has learned to get along. I mean, there are conflicts every once in a while, but when it's tough, everybody's here for everybody else."

"So..." Buffy looked up at his questioning eyes then away again.

"What?"

"Nevermind, I'm just being nosy."

"There aren't too many secrets with us."

She hesitated for a moment, then decided to go ahead. "What about Spike, what's his story?"

Gunn laughed and Buffy looked up at him. "What?"

"You've got a thing for the boss."

"What? No... I mean, he's attractive, and nice, and fun..." she realized she was rambling and cut herself off. "He's my boss.. and I don't really know him. We've had a few conversations after work, but that's it."

"Uh-huh, a few conversations after work? That's more than anyone but his cousin and Tara gets.. ever."

Buffy shook her head. "He's just trying to make me feel welcome."

"Yeah.. that's it."

Buffy punched him on the shoulder and laughed. "Ow, save it for the troublemakers."

"I'm gonna take a break, you want a drink?"

"Nah, I'm good. It's been kinda slow, I can handle it if you wanna take off."

Buffy thought for a moment and nodded. "Thanks, I'm kind of tired."

"Plus it'll give you some time with a certain someone."

Buffy mock glared at him before walking to the bar. "Hey Xander."

"Hey Buffster, what'll you have?"

"Rum and coke, please."

"Get off early then?"

"Yes, and let me say, thank God."

Xander grinned and mixed her drink, setting it in front of her. "So how've you been, we haven't talked for a while. Which is kind of ironic, seeing how you get a job working with me and we see each other less."

Buffy smiled and rested her head on her hand. "I've been so busy with work and school. If I didn't love this place and the money so much I don't think I would keep this up."

"Keep what up?"

"Spike, hey."

He smiled down at Buffy. "Hello, luv."

They stared at each other for a moment and Xander waited for some kind of acknowledgement that didn't come. "Yeah, and I just work here, so I'll leave you two alone."

His words knocked them out of their trance and Spike looked over at Xander. "Hey, how're we doing tonight?"

Xander noticed Buffy's blush and frowned slightly before looking back to Spike. "Been pretty slow, that's why our girl here's having a drink with me and not kicking no good ass with Gunn."

"Damn, this is usually a big night for us." He looked over at Buffy who was finishing her drink. "You in a hurry, or do you think you can help me with something?"

Buffy swallowed the rest of her drink and smiled. "I've got some time."

Spike smiled and stood. As they walked away, Xander couldn't help but notice Spike's hand in the small of her back.

***

Buffy dropped onto Spike's couch with a tired sigh.

"Tired?"

She simply raised her eyebrow and he laughed. "Guess you didn't imagine I had manual labor on my mind when I asked for help."

"No.. not exactly."

He smiled and plopped down next to her before reaching into the fridge next to him and pulling out a beer. "Drink?"

"Yes, please."

He handed one to her after opening it and grinned as he watched her drink half the bottle.

She noticed him looking and blushed. "What?"

"Thirsty?"

"Sorry."

He chuckled and shook his head. "You are one interesting girl."

"I could say the same about you... Only, not the girl part."

Spike leaned back into the couch and took a drink. "What's so interesting?"

She watched him out of the corner of her eye as he drank from his bottle. "I don't know. You run this club in kind of a weird way."

"What do you mean?"

She shrugged. "I mean, these people are like your family instead of your employees. I especially love how you gave Willow a big brother type talk when she asked Tara out."

He smiled. "Well... They are all kind of like my family. My cousin used to own this place before he pretty much gave it to me."

"Really?"

"Yeah.. He made me clean up my act to get it, but after that, it was free sailing."

"He just gave it to you?"

"He made me finish my degree, changed it from English to Business, worked my ass off here as a bartender, and then yeah, he gave it to me. He had enough money to do what he wanted anyway, and he has a family."

Buffy noticed the way he tensed slightly at the word family. "That's a pretty nice cousin you've got there."

"He's more like a brother, and father... He's just really helped me out."

Buffy nodded and finished her beer. "Another?"

She hesitated for a moment and he opened his mouth to retract when she agreed. He smiled softly and handed her the bottle.

"So how's school going?"

She looked up at him for a moment before taking a deep breath. "Is that really what you want to talk about?"

His eyes darted down to her lips for a moment before going back to her eyes. "No... not really."

He moved his hand slowly until it rested on her knee. "Is this ok?"

She nodded slowly before covering his hand with hers. "Tell me about Dawn?"

He let out a short sound somewhere between a laugh and a sob. "She's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

She smiled and squeezed his hand. "When my wi-... When Dru found out she was pregnant.. I think we were supposed to be so upset or scared, but I was just so happy, and I know she was too. But we were really young. I mean, she was still in high school. We convinced her parents not to freak out, and we got married."

"Is that when you started working here?"

"Yeah. Angel yelled at me about being irresponsible for about five minutes before he made me agree to change my major and take his offer."

"That's your cousin?"

He nodded. "So it was great. We were really happy, and then Dawn was born and I was happy, but Dru... she had a lot of trouble. And..." Spike looked suddenly. "I can't believe I'm telling you all this."

"You don't have to," she assured him quickly.

He smiled and looked down at their hands. "I haven't really talked about this with anyone... I.. just haven't."

Buffy moved a little closer to him and ran her fingers down his cheek. "We can stop, I'll be around."

She moved to stand and he stood with her still holding her hand. "Do you have to go?"

Buffy looked toward the door then back at him. "I guess I can stay a little longer."

He smiled and stepped closer to her, his hand brushing away the hair in her eyes.

"Is this a good idea?"

He leaned closer, his forehead resting on hers. "I don't know, but I haven't looked at another person in seven years and with you... I think there's something here, and do-"

"Yes."

He smiled. "Can I kiss you, Buffy?"

"Hey, Spike can you-" Xander stopped in the doorway, his eyes wide. "Oh, sorry."

The couple jumped apart at the sound and Buffy reached for her bag.

"Was I interrupting something?"

Spike glanced at Buffy, her face was flaming and she avoided his eyes.

"I've got to go, I'll see you later, Spike." She squeezed Xander's hand on the way out. "Bye, Xand."

Spike clenched his jaw and sighed after she was gone. "Guess not."

Xander watched Buffy for a moment before turning back to his boss. "What are you pulling here, Spike?"

"No fucking clue, mate."
Take It Slow by lucky021
A/N: Thanks so much for the reviews so far. I hope people are still enjoying this, let me know.

***

"So, Xander told me he walked in on something rather interesting last night."

Buffy glanced up at Willow who was sipping her coffee calmly.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh come on, Buffy! You and Spike, getting a little close after hours. Spill."

Buffy shrugged and emptied a sugar packet into her mug, stirring for a moment before looking up at her eager friend. "There's really not much to tell."

"Well, whatever there is to tell, I want to hear it."

Buffy sighed and leaned closer to her friend. "I don't really know what happened. We've been talking a lot after closing.. just about whatever.. So last night, it got a little bit more personal. And if Xander hadn't walked in I'm not sure we would have stopped at talking."

Willow squealed and Buffy blushed and glanced around the coffee shop, smiling at the patrons who turned their heads at the high pitched sound coming from their table.

"So what's your next step?"

"What do you mean, what's my next step? There wasn't even a real first step. We kind of almost kissed, Xander walked in, I freaked out, and I haven't talked to him since."

"Well... Do you wish that it had happened?"

Buffy shrugged and took a big gulp, gasping when it burned her. "Umm... Yeah. I guess, but he's kind of got a lot of baggage. And Buffy and baggage have already proved a not so good combination."

Willow nodded. "That's true, but it's been a long time. Whatever happened to him, and I don't know anything more than what Tara's alluded to, it happened a long time ago. Maybe it's about time he moved on. Maybe you're the girl to help him."

"Or maybe I'm just prime seriously delayed rebound material. I mean, he told me that he hasn't really met anyone since his wife died. That's kind of a lot of pressure."

"Well Tara seems to think a lot of him. He doesn't seem like the love 'em and leave 'em type."

Buffy sighed. "Sometimes you can't help it. You may think you're ready, but really it's just a rebound."

"And we're steering the subject back to you and Spike."

Buffy blushed and smiled. "Yeah I know. I guess I could give something a try, but I'm letting him take the next step. I'm just along for the ride."

"Well at this juncture, I'd say that's a good plan."

Buffy nodded. "Just along for the ride."

***

"I've no bloody clue what she wants! It's hot, cold, hot, cold, all the time. 'Do you really want to talk about that, Spike?', 'oh yes, get closer, Spike.' I mean what the hell-"

"Okay, rantmaster, hold on for a second."

Spike sighed and took a long swallow of the beer Cordelia handed him. "So what do you think?"

Angel rolled his eyes and settled down on the couch next to him. "Calm down will you? Connor's asleep and you're giving me a headache."

"Glad to know my pain concerns you so much."

"Oh! Was this a pity party, I was unaware. Cordy, get the violin."

"Ha bloody ha."

Cordelia rolled her eyes and sighed. "Both of you calm down. Spike, listen, you just met this girl not too long ago. You have a hell of a lot of baggage hanging around your neck, and she's in the middle of school, you own a club. There's a lot to be nervous about, I can see why she's not jumping into your arms." Spike nodded reluctantly in agreement. "Although I wish she would, you could use a good tumble," she muttered.

"What?"

"Nevermind," Angel interjected. "Cordy's right. For seem reason, a lot of girls find you attractive, but you've never let any in. You like this girl, and maybe, after years of a nonexistent dating life, you came on a little strong."

"If that was coming on strong, then the only alternative is sitting on my ass."

"Haven't you ever heard of playing hard to get? How do you think I reeled this one in?"

Angel scoffed. "I don't think he should be taking hard to get tips from you, honey."

Cordelia raised an eyebrow that wiped the smirk off of Angel's face. "Just kidding?"

"Nice try," she said, but settled into his lap anyway.

"Oh God, so are you two going to get all lovey dovey and make me even more depressed?"

"Shut-up." Spike made a face and took another drink. "Listen, take our advice, hard to get. Let her come to you. She knows your interested, let her make the next move. And if she doesn't come around, well, there are plenty of other rebound fish in the sea."

Spike glared at his cousin. "She is not a rebound. It's been too long for her to be a rebound."

"Well, whatever. Just don't make an ass of yourself by harassing your employees."

"Yeah, yeah. I gotta get down to the club. I'll see you guys later."

***

Buffy stood outside Spike's office, her fingers tapping an erratic beat on her leg. It had been four days since their encounter in his office, and they hadn't had a chance to talk. That or he was avoiding her. Instead of the comfortable and slightly charged vibe she used to get from Spike, now she felt like things were a little strained.

She was sure running out on him when Xander showed up probably wasn't the best way to keep whatever they had going, but could anyone blame her?

She shook her head and tried to think of a valid reason to be there. Just coming to say hello seemed too obvious, but there was no reason for her to be there as far as work was concerned.

"God.. This is stupid." Buffy turned and walked straight into-

"What's stupid, luv?"

Buffy's mouth opened and closed a few times. "Umm... Nothing, nevermind. I should be going."

Spike clenched his jaw as she started to walk past. Let her go, let her go... Hard to get. I can do this. Hard to-

"Buffy, pet, wait a second."

Buffy stopped and turned back toward him. "Yeah?"

Now Spike was at a loss for words. "Umm.. Do you want to come in for a minute?"

Buffy hesitated for a second but then nodded and followed Spike into his office. They stood awkwardly for a moment until Spike gestured to the couch and Buffy sat down. He rummaged around in the fridge for a moment before looking up at her. "Would you like something?"

"Um. Just whatever you're having."

Spike smiled and handed her a beer before sitting down next to her, but left a respectable distance between them. "I haven't seen you for a few days."

"That's just what I was thinking."

Silence filled the room after that and they smiled awkwardly at each other for a moment.

Finally Spike sighed and turned toward her. "This is bloody stupid."

Buffy let out a relieved sigh and smiled, genuinely for the first time since she seeing him. "Yeah."

"I don't know what your thinking. Kind of wish I did, but what I really want to know is whether or not I crossed some line. And if I did, I'm sorry, I didn-"

"No line crossing, I promise," she said, interrupting his ramblings.

Spike smiled and nodded. "Good. I didn't ever want to make you uncomfortable."

"I'm sorry for running out like that. I just got a little freaked out."

Spike grimaced. "I came on too strong... Bloody hell, never thought that poof would be right about anything concerning wome-"

"You didn't come on too strong," Buffy said, laughing. "It was just the whole situation. You're my boss, we've both got pasts, some more complicated than others, and then Xander coming in. It was just a lot to take at once."

Spike sat back and nodded. "I get that." He glanced over at her before taking another drink. "Does that mean it's going to be too much to take all the time?" he asked, staring at the desk in front of him.

She grinned and moved her hand until it was resting over his on the couch between them. "No, not all the time... Just think we should go slow."

"Slow's good. I can do slow."

They sat in silence for a moment before he turned his head. "Just for future reference.. Does finishing a little of what we started yesterday count as slow?"

Buffy turned back toward him and smiled. "I think it might fit in the slow category."

Spike licked his lips as his eyes focused on hers. "So you'll let me know.. when it gets a little too fast for you?"

Buffy leaned closer, her eyes closing slowly. "Oh yes."

Their lips met in a tender kiss, and it was the best thing Spike had felt in years. Buffy's teeth grazed his bottom lip and she bit down softly, causing him to moan softly into her mouth. His hand came up to cup her cheek, his fingers stroking her softly.

He pulled back and nuzzled her cheek. "Okay?"

She smiled, her eyes still closed, loving the feel of him against her. "Better than okay."

At the door Xander raised his hand to knock but stopped when he saw the couple on the couch. He grinned and shook his head before shutting the door softly and herding out the remaining employees.
First Date by lucky021
A/N: Sorry about the delay, school's been really hectic. Thanks so much for the reviews, it's made coming writing when I should be doing homework so much easier. Hope you enjoy.

***

"So we get to the top of the bloody thing, and I'm trying to smile and have a good time, I mean, I don't want to scare her, but I keep saying 'don't rock the chair, sweetheart.' Course she's gonna ask why, so I say something like 'daddy's about to bring all that cotton candy back up,' which apparently was the exact wrong thing to say. She starts giggling like mad, I feel it coming up, and... I think you can guess the rest."

Buffy hadn't stopped laughing since Spike had begun his story and now she was clutching her sides, tears coming to her eyes. "I can't believe you threw up on a ferris wheel."

"Thing was bloody high, and all the sugar before. And I wasn't the only one anyway."

Now Buffy was laughing even harder. "Did you start a chain reaction or something?" At his look the giggles turned into full blown guffaws.

Spike finally joined in, unable to stay serious when her laugh was so contagious. "At least I got a laugh, I guess."

Buffy nodded and wiped her eyes. "More than that. I'm glad you waited to tell that story until after dinner, though."

He chuckled. "Might have started another vomit fest otherwise, huh?"

She laughed again before taking another sip of her wine. "This has been really fun, Spike."

He smiled at her warmly before covering her hand with his on the table. "I'm glad, pet. I was worried I'd be a bit rusty, not remember how to treat a girl on a first date and all that."

"You definitely haven't forgotten, I can attest to that."

They finished their drinks and Spike took care of the bill before they made their way out of the restaurant, his arm around her, holding her close.

He had just bent down to whisper something in her ear when he heard the one voice that could chill him to the bone.

"What a touching scene."

Buffy felt Spike tense next to her, his arm around her waist falling away. "Spike?"

He turned slowly and stood partially in front of Buffy, blocking the full view of the woman who had spoken. "So William, you finally managed to convince some poor ignorant girl to date a man who practically killed his wife." She stopped a covered her mouth with her hand mockingly. "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm sure you didn't even mention my daughter. Didn't seem to matter when she was alive, why would it matter-"

"Shut-up."

Spike's voice was colder than Buffy had ever heard it. She could see his hands shaking, his whole body trembling with anger. And listening to what the woman in front of him was saying, she wasn't very surprised.

"Watch yourself, boy. You're treading on thin ice."

Buffy noticed the man with them for the first time. His voice was just as cold as Spike's, but twice as condescending.

"That's right, you watch yourself, or I'll-"

"You'll what?" he countered angrily, his fists clenching at his side. "What will you do, Darla? Gonna have Ethan threaten me again? Tell some judge that I dared stand up for myself in public? Try to take my daughter because I won't bow down and worship you? Because I won't let you harass me?" He took a deep breath, realizing that his voice was getting louder with every word.

Buffy reached toward him and put a hand on his arm, trying to calm him. He glanced back and seemed to realize for the first time since the whole thing started that she was still there. His shoulders slumped and he looked back at Darla. "Let's just leave it at that. I don't want to get into anything with you right now."

Darla glared at him for a moment before turning to Ethan. "I think I've lost my appetite."

Spike sighed and turned to Buffy, ready to usher her out of the restaurant before he heard her voice again.

"Maybe you managed to control yourself tonight, but it's just a matter of time."

Spike spun around but caught himself and shook his head before turning again.

"See ya, Darla."

"You're just a drunk and a loser, and the sooner the right judge realizes it, the better off Dawn will be. I just hope she hasn't already learned too many of your destructive behaviors to follow you down that path."

"Can't you shut your mouth for a even a second?" Buffy finally hissed, unwilling to listen to anymore of Darla's abuse.

"Buffy, it's ok, c'mon."

"No, Spike, she's totally out of line."

"And it's none of your business."

Buffy stepped up in front of Darla, more angry with every passing second. "I won't let you talk to him that way, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this, no one does."

Darla rolled her eyes and pushed past them, Ethan close behind. "I won't need a judge when Dawn finds out just why her mother is gone, will I William?" She smiled wickedly before opening the door. "I'll see you on Saturday."

With that, they were both gone. Buffy glanced up at Spike and was shocked by the amount of pain she saw there.

"Spike?" she whispered softly, her hand coming to rest on his.

He remained looking after Darla for a moment before he turned toward Buffy, but his eyes didn't meet hers. "I should get you home."

She sighed, unable to think of any way to save the situation. "Yeah, okay."

***

The car ride home was silent, Buffy was unsure of what to say, and Spike was lost in his own world. He pulled the car into her driveway, and Buffy was surprised when he stopped it and came around to open her door.

He rested his hand on the small of her back as they walked to the door. They stopped as they reached the porch and she turned toward him, not knowing what to expect.

"It really was a nice night, even with everything else."

He kept his gaze on his feet and nodded slightly. "I'm sorry about all that," he whispered, his voice tight. "I just-"

"Shhh." She put a finger to his lips and stepped closer to him. "I know. It's okay."

He tried to smile but it didn't reach his eyes. "I don't suppose you'd want to do this again sometime?"

She shook her head and smiled. "Of course I do, why wouldn't I? You're a great guy, and I think we have something that we should explore-"

"Buffy," he whispered, pleadingly, "I don't want to drag you into all this."

"Stop it. I'm well aware of what's going on, and just because she says all those things to you, doesn't make them true."

"She's not making it all up," he said angrily, looking away.

"Spike," she said, putting a hand to his cheek and turning him toward her, "she is playing on all of your insecurities. She's trying to remind you of all the mistakes you've made. It's an exaggeration. It's not the you today. You love Dawn, and I can tell that you loved Dru, and it wasn't your fault, what happened."

He leaned into her touch and closed his eyes, allowing her words to soothe him. He ducked his head, leaning in to kiss her cheek before pulling her closer to him. Buffy's hands drifted down his arms to rest on his waist.

"Thank you," he whispered into her ear before pressing a kiss to her hair. No one but Angel and Cordelia had ever been able to remind him that Darla was a heartless bitch who's only purpose in life seemed to be to make his hell. Sometimes, after his encounters with her, he needed reassurance, but he was always the last one to realize it. He was glad Buffy had been with him, Darla hadn't ripped into him like that in a long time, and it hurt to have everything shoved in his face again after so much time.

Buffy allowed her head to rest on his chest. She took in a deep breath and upon discovering just how great he smelled, she couldn't help but step closer to him. He seemed to making a similar discovery about her as his nose nuzzled her hair off of her neck and he began to place soft kisses there.

She gasped his name softly and felt him smile against her skin. Her hands gripped his hips tightly, her thumbs brushing up and down, getting nearer and nearer to the thing she could feel hardening against her stomach.

He backed her into the door and pressed himself more firmly against her, his hips rolling slightly so that he could slip one thigh between hers.

His lips made their way up her neck to meet hers in a soft kiss, the tenderness belying the passion growing between them. His tongue licked against her lips before she opened them and allowed him inside. He moaned into her mouth, his hips pressing harder against hers.

She whimpered as he pulled back and rested his forehead on hers. "I should go," he whispered, panting.

She smiled ruefully and nodded. "But I don't want you to."

He kissed her cheek again and smiled. "Me neither, kitten, but we're going slow aren't we?"

She nodded and they both stepped away from each other reluctantly.

"I'll see you tomorrow at work?"

She nodded. "Of course. You're such a slave driver."

He flashed her a wide, wicked grin before leaning in to kiss her. "I've only started, baby," he said, his lips brushing her ear with each word.

She pulled him in for another kiss before opening the door.

"Goodnight, Spike."

"Sweet dreams, Buffy."
Interlude by lucky021
A/N: Thanks so much for all the reviews, I hope things stay interesting, this is just a bit of filler before the plot thickens. Enjoy!

***

Buffy sighed again and Gunn grinned.

"Bored?"

She nodded and hopped off of her stool. "I think I'll go check on things inside, I'm sure you can handle things out here."

He chuckled and nodded. "Go for it. It's dead though, doubt you'll find too much trouble."

She shrugged and ducked inside, hoping for some action to pass the time. Her wish was granted only moments after walking in. Off in the right corner she could see a familiar figure crowding a girl barely old enough to get into the club to the wall. She sighed and got Xander's attention.

"Could you have someone grab Gunn for me?"

He nodded and she headed over to the corner. She tapped the guy on the shoulder, sighing when she saw that he was indeed the same guy whom she fought with the night she got her job at the Bronze.

He spun around angrily. "What?!"

Buffy smiled sweetly. "Remember me?"

The last thing she expected was his fist. As her world went black, she reckoned that was probably a stupid possibility to dismiss.

***

Spike heard them before they reached his door.

"It's not a big deal, Xander. I need to get back downstairs."

"Listen, Buff, I've seen you take some pretty nasty hits, but you were out cold. Kind of scared me actually."

Spike stood and met them at the door.

"What are you two talking about?"

Buffy avoided his eyes for a moment before looking up at him and letting him see the large bruise forming on her right cheek.

"What happened?" he asked softly, his fingers ghosting over her cheek. He pulled back when she hissed and winced and pulled her gently into the office.

"One of our regular troublemakers showed up, took Buffy by surprise."

"I should have expected it. It won't happen again, and it wasn't even that bad this time, I need to finish my shift."

"C'mon, Buffy, we can take care of things for the rest of the night."

She glared at the bartender and sighed angrily. "I don't need you and Gunn to play big protectors. I took a job, I knew the risks, and I'm going to finish my shift." Her voice grew louder with each word and had Xander stepping backward.

"Buffy-"

"Wouldn't you rather stay up here with me and let me nurse you're wounds?" Spike interrupted, stepping between the two and giving her his best sexy smirk.

Buffy turned with a retort on the tip of her tongue before she saw the grin on Spike's face. She melted and nodded before stepping closer to him as he ran a hand up her arm.

"And with that I take my leave," Xander said with a roll of his eyes at the couple before stepping out and closing the door.

Spike pulled Buffy closer to him and kissed her unblemished cheek softly. "Let me get you some ice."

He stepped over to the small refrigerator and pulled out a beer and a small ice pack. "Here you are, pet."

He settled down on the couch next to her and pulled her into his arms. "Are you sure you're ok?"

She nodded. "I've been hit a lot harder than that and survived."

He didn't respond, just held her tighter and she sighed. "This is what you hired me for, remember?"

He leaned back so that he could look at her. "I hired you to do it to the other guys, not let it happen to you."

She shrugged. "I'll be more careful. Is that what you want to hear?"

"If it's really what you plan to do, it is."

"Do you think I enjoy getting punched in the face?"

Spike sighed and pulled her into his lap, rubbing his cheek against hers. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to overreact."

She kissed his jaw and rested her head on his shoulder. "I know, I would probably be acting the same way if you turned up like this. I just hate people thinking I can't take care of myself."

Spike chuckled. "I don't think you need to worry about that. Did you see the way Xander started backing away, you scared the living hell out of him, and that was without violence."

She giggled along with him. "You don't think I'm a big wuss do you?"

"Are you kidding me?" He pulled back and looked at her incredulously. "I can't even talk about this with you. If you don't know by now that I think you're amazing, that I have enormous amounts of respect for you, then we have a few problems."

Buffy sighed. "I know, I just feel weird. I hate not being able to finish off something myself. If that guy hadn't caught me by surprise..." she trailed off, her fists clenching at the thought.

"Got a little tension to work off?"

She looked up at his face and smiled at the look in his eyes. "Why? Got some ideas on how we could do that?"

He stood and placed her back on her feet before walking to the door. "Spike?"

He locked the door and smiled back at her before turning off the main light, leaving only the lamp on his desk to illuminate the room. "Just making sure we won't be interrupted this time."

She smiled and opened her arms, sighing softly when he buried his face in her neck. She pushed him gently until he was sitting back on the couch so that she could straddle his thighs. She pressed her forehead against his and met his eyes.

"I'm sorry I made you worry."

He shrugged. "I should know it's part of the work here," he whispered back before kissing her softly. His hands came to rest on her waist, pulling her closer to him while the kiss deepened. He felt her own hands move up and down his chest, brushing his nipples.

He groaned softly into her mouth before pulling her lower body harder against his and letting her know exactly what she was doing to him. She smiled into their kiss and deepened it further. He pulled back for air and she took the opportunity to attack his neck. He threw his head back to rest on the couch and couldn't help but thrust his hips up to meet hers as she sucked his pulse point.

One hand slid up between them and cupped her breast, kneading it softly, his thumb brushing against her nipple, causing shocks to go straight to her pussy. Buffy rubbed herself more firmly against his hard length before pulling back and running her hands down his chest until they rested on his cloth covered erection.

Spike groaned and squeezed her ass harder, his hips thrusting up to brush himself harder against her fingers. She smiled and leaned down to kiss him before unbuttoning his pants.

He pulled back as her palm brushed over the suddenly exposed head and gasped. "Buffy?"

"Shh, it's ok."

She finished undoing his pants and pulled his fully erect member out of his pants entirely. Both of his hands came back to her hips and squeezed tightly. His cock was already glistening at the head and when she brushed her fingers over it, then licked them off moaning, he had to close his eyes and concentrate everything on not coming.

Her fingers wrapped around him and began to stroke in time with her tongue against his. He gasped and moaned, unable to keep his hips from thrusting himself harder into her hand. In seven years, no one had touched him, and it was beginning to show.

"Buffy.. I.. oh God..."

He buried his face in her neck and reached his hands between them, trying to find the way to undo her pants, but it was too late. Her hands began pumping him quickly, and she reached down to fondle his balls. He felt the blood rush to his groin and threw his head back, his hands gripping her waist tightly.

"Buffy, I'm sorry.. I can't... ohhh hell!" His cock erupted between them, splattering his shirt and pants. He looked down and thanked God that he hadn't made a mess all over Buffy. She stroked him until he was finished and kissed him softly. She smiled at the glazed look in his eyes.

"You okay?"

He grinned goofily. "You kidding?" She giggled and he kissed her. "Let's get me changed and clean us both up and I'll return the favor."

She stood and pulled him up with her. "If I had had any blood left in my brain by the time you started I might have figured out a way to get into those sodding pants of yours."

"The clasp's in the back."

"That's not very conducive to naughty fun.”

They stepped into his bathroom and she washed her hands as he pulled out a new shirt and pair of jeans. “Had I known we would have been getting up to naughty fun after work, I would have worn something more easy access.”

He pulled off his shirt and stepped up behind her, his arms wrapping around her waist. “Always assume you need the easy access outfits, pet.” He pressed himself against her back and she was shocked to feel him hardening against her.

“Already?”

He smiled. “I’ve got years to make up for.”

She turned in his arms and he lifted her onto the counter. “Didn’t I say something about making it up to you?”

She smiled. “I think you did.”

He leaned forward and kissed her before sinking to his knees and rubbing his cheek against her inner thigh. “You ready fo-”

Buffy jumped at the sound of the banging on his office door. Spike sighed and hung his head. “Shit. Guess I forgot about the job that pays me.”

She grinned down at him. “You finish getting dressed and I’ll take care of whoever it is.”

He stood and kissed her softly. “Thanks, I’ll be out in a minute.”

***

Once Spike finished up the last of the paperwork and everyone had finished shutting down the Bronze he insisted on driving Buffy back home. She wanted to remind him that she only lived a few blocks away, but after she remembered how he had reacted earlier she let it go. They pulled into her driveway and she leaned over to kiss him. He pulled her across the bench seat and lifted her into his lap.

"Mm.. Spike wait.."

He pulled back and tried to control his breathing. "What is it?"

She ran her hands up his chest and cupped his face. "As much as I'd love to let you have your way with me in your car sitting in my driveway... I have class tomorrow morning, and I don't want Willow looking out to see more of me than you have."

He pouted but nodded and she kissed his pout away. "But," she whispered, pulling back so that her forehead rested on his, "tomorrow night, we're having a party.. well Willow is. It's kind of a dinner/cocktail party thing, and everyone's dressing up and bringing dates. It's for all her super-smart engineering friends, and I'd feel much better about going if you were there with me."

He smiled and kissed her softly. "Of course I'd lov-" He let his head fall back and sighed. "I can't, I'm sorry, pet. I've got Dawn tomorrow."

Buffy nodded and kissed him again before sliding out of his lap.

He reached over and put a hand on her shoulder. "You're not upset are you?"

She turned back and smiled. "I can't begrudge you for spending time with your daughter, though I really wish I could find a way to get out of this thing. This guy is going to be there, and he always hits on me while at the same time making me feel like I'm two feet tall."

Spike pulled her close to him again and she could have sworn he had growled. "Well we can't have that, can we?" She shook her head and giggled as he tickled her sides, trying to think of a way to see Buffy and keep his promise to Dawn.

"Come with us tomorrow."

Buffy stopped laughing and looked up at him. "Are you sure? I mean, should I be meeting her so soon?"

"I don't plan on shagging you in front of the bit, so I don't see how it could be so bad."

"But.. you haven't been with a women since Dru have you? How is she going to take it?"

He shrugged, suddenly uncomfortable though he couldn't tell why. He'd been thinking a lot lately about when to introduce Dawn to Buffy. He didn't see a point in waiting, he felt something very strong for Buffy, and seeing how she and Dawn got along would either intensify what he felt, or cause him to have to let her go. He couldn't see a problem coming up between them, but it was better to find out now, before he truly fell in love with her.

"I want you to meet her," he said softly, looking into her eyes. "You mean a lot to me, Buffy. And Dawn is the biggest thing in my life, so it's important to me."

She brushed a stray lock of curly hair off of his forehead. "As long as you're sure this is what you want, then I want it to. I'd love to meet Dawn, you've told me so much about her, and if you love her that much, then I'm sure I will too."

He grinned widely and kissed her. "I'll pick you up tomorrow."

She nodded and kissed him again, pulling away before things could get too heated. "I'll see you tomorrow, Spike."

"Good night, Buffy."
Questions Without Answers by lucky021
A/N: Sorry about the wait, bit of writer's block. Thanks for all the reviews, enjoy!

***

Spike shot up in bed, his body covered in sweat, his ears still ringing with the sound of Dru's accusations. His breath came in short, sharp bursts and he buried his face in his hands waiting until the terror and guilt faded into a dull ache.

Nearly half and hour later he swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood, stretching sore muscles from his contorted sleeping position. He made his way to the bathroom and splashed cold water on his face, running his hands through his sleep tousled curls.

He resisted the urge to pour himself a bit of whiskey and settled for a pot of coffee instead. It was six-thirty anyhow, and he needed to go pick up Dawn in two hours. As the coffee brewed, Spike tried to remember the breathing exercises his therapist had taught him years ago.

By the time he had showered and downed three cups he was feeling more like himself, and remembering that he was introducing Dawn to Buffy he began to get excited about his day, pushing down any worry that tried to surface.

He glanced at the clock and seeing that he still had nearly an hour and a half, he grabbed his keys and headed for his car, hoping to catch Angel before he and Cordy got Connor ready for his soccer game.

He jogged up the path and knocked briefly before opening the door and calling out to his cousin.

"Spike?"

He smiled at the older man's annoyed tone and sat himself at the counter after pouring yet another cup of coffee. "I was hoping I'd catch you this morning."

"Well you have, what is it now?"

Spike took a sip and paused, pleased when he heard Angel's annoyed sigh. Annoying his cousin never got old. "Can't I just want to say hello?"

Angel rolled his eyes and handed a mug to Cordelia as she entered the kitchen, Connor behind her. "Spike? What are you doing here so early?"

"Spike!"

The blonde smiled down at his nephew and gathered him up into his arms, sitting him on his lap before settling back at the counter. "Big football match today then?"

Connor nodded and dug into the cereal Angel placed in front of him. "When are you going to come practice with me again?"

"Sorry, kid. Guess I've been neglecting my favorite nephew, haven't I? Dawn and I will come over soon and you can take us on."

Cordelia smiled at the two and sat next to Spike. "Aren't you picking up Dawn in a bit?"

"Yeah, that's a bit of why I'm here."

"What is it? Darla giving you trouble again?"

Spike smiled at the protective edge to Angel's voice. "Yes, but that's nothing new. I was thinking about having Buffy along today."

There was silence for a moment and then Connor spoke up. "What's a buffy?"

Cordelia snorted into her coffee and Spike smiled down at the boy.

Angel motioned for Spike to follow him into the other room and he and Cordelia rolled their eyes.

"She's the second most beautiful woman around, second to your mother of course," he said, winking at the brunette before settling Connor on the stool and following Angel out.

"This really need to be a private conversation?"

Angel sighed. "I don't want Connor repeating a weird version of this back to Dawn."

Spike nodded, annoyed with himself for not thinking ahead. "So what do you think?"

Angel sat down on the couch and thought for a moment. "Just how serious are you two?"

Spike shrugged and sat across from him. "Serious.. I don't know, bloody hell, Angel, that's why I'm here."

"You don't know about this girl, but you want Dawn to get involved?"

Spike shook his head. "No... I know I'm serious about her. I haven't felt anything like this since Dru, and it kind of scares me. Makes me really happy though too." He paused and ran a hand through his hair. "I don't want to fall completely for her if she and Dawn don't click. I can't go any farther without my bit's consent."

Angel smiled. "I'm glad you're thinking that far ahead. Time was you wouldn't think beyond the very moment."

Spike shrugged. "Guess I've managed to grow up a little bit, didn't think you'd ever see that, huh?" Angel chuckled. "So you think this is ok? Part of me feels like this is just selfish, like I'm trying to ok my stuff and Dawn's just a necessary step."

"A lot of people wouldn't consider their children in a situation like this. I don't think it's selfish, and I think that if you think so much of her, Dawn's going to as well."

"I bloody well hope so, don't know what I'll do otherwise. Go back to being a miserable old bastard with my hand for a girlfriend."

Angel rolled his eyes. "Another reason to keep this conversation from my son's ears."

Spike laughed at that and Angel joined in moments later, relieved to see his cousin so happy again.

***

"Hey, little bit, how are you?"

Spike scooped his daughter into his arms and hugged her tightly, ecstatic at seeing her again after a week without her.

"I won the art contest!" Dawn exclaimed, leaning back to see her father's reaction.

He smiled proudly and headed toward the car without a word to the woman glaring at him from the doorway. "I told you that you would. Why didn't you call me and tell me earlier?"

"Grandma took me to Chucky Cheese's and she said it was too late when I got home."

Spike fumed on the inside, furious at the things Darla continued to keep from him, but he could feel how uncomfortable Dawn was and hurried to soothe her. "That's alright sweetheart, I'm just glad you can tell me now. Better when you can tell me face to face, right?"

Dawn smiled and nodded, the earlier tension gone.

"I talked to Uncle Angel and he said it would be fine if you watched Connor's football match for a while with them while I went and fetched someone."

"How long will you be gone?"

Spike's stomach clenched for a moment at her question. How many times in her early life had he left her without any word? He hated that she still had reason to ask that question.

He stopped the car in front of the park and looked over at her. "Just for a few minutes, luv," he said softly, his hand stroking her hair. "I won't go if you don't want me to. We can do something else."

Dawn shook her head, smiling again. "I wanna see if the other boys can kick Connor's butt as hard as I can."

Spike matched her devious grin with one of his own and winked. "That's my girl. Let me walk you over to them and then I'll be right back."

***

Spike whistled as he walked up the driveway. Buffy opened the door before he had a chance to knock and smiled before he pulled her into his arms and kissed her softly.

"Morning, pet."

"Morning. You want to come in for a minute, Willow made coffee and muffins."

Spike glanced inside and waved to the redheaded girl. "Do you mind if we skip out, Dawn's waiting, and I don't want to leave her alone for long."

"That's fine, let's go." Buffy called a goodbye to Willow and closed the door, smiling when Spike wrapped an arm around her and led her to the car.

"So where are we going to pick her up?"

"She's with Cordelia and Angel at their son's soccer game." Buffy nodded and Spike smiled. "She's going to love you."

Buffy looked over at him. "I hope so."

"What's not to love?" he said shyly and Buffy's heart skipped a beat.

She glanced over at him and smiled as he tried to look nonchalant and focused much too intently on the road.

***

Buffy's hand tightened slightly around his as they walked toward the field. Spike smiled and squeezed her hand before raising it to his lips and kissing the back of it.

A small girl turned and caught sight of them and ran quickly toward her father.

"Daddy, Connor scored two goals already!"

He smiled down at her and took her hand. "That's great, pet. We should get you out there. See how well he does then."

He noticed her gaze go from his and Buffy's joined hands to Buffy herself. "Dawnie, there's somebody I want you to meet." He let go of Buffy's hand and placed his on the small of her back, urging her forward. "This is Buffy, a good friend of mine."

Buffy crouched so that she was eye level with Dawn and stuck out her hand. "Hi, Dawn."

Dawn looked from her father to Buffy and back. When he smiled and nodded she finally settled her eyes on Buffy and managed a small smile back before taking the offered hand.

"Hi."

Buffy was getting more nervous by the second, unsure of what she could possibly have to say to an eight year old. "So, you play soccer?"

Dawn nodded and looked back at her father. "Why don't you show Buffy and I where your uncle is sitting, luv."

Dawn took his hand and led him quietly to the bleachers. Spike pulled Buffy close to him and kissed her cheek. "Don't worry, pet, you're fine."

She smiled tightly and nodded. It was going to be a long day.

***

"You have a fun day, bit?"

Dawn yawned and nodded, her eyes drooping as Spike pulled the covers up to her chin. "You and Buffy seemed to get along pretty well."

"Is she your girlfriend?"

Spike swallowed and looked down at his daughter who suddenly seemed totally awake. "Would that bother you?"

Dawn shrugged. "I don't know. She's fun and nice. I miss mummy."

Spike looked down and traced a pattern on the comforter. "Me too, bit, but she's in a good place now."

"Are you going to marry Buffy?"

Spike was more than a little confused about what his daughter was getting at during this conversation. "I don't know. Maybe." He looked into Dawn's eyes and smiled. "But I would never leave you, luv. I'll always be here, and soon we can be together all the time."

"Why doesn't grandma like you."

Spike's fist clenched before he let out a breath. "She just wants what's best for you. She's just trying to protect you because we all love you."

"But I want to stay here, I don't want to go back."

"I don't want you to either." Spike fought down his emotions, he didn't want to break down in front of her. "Just for a while longer until everyone else agrees with us, ok? Next month the people at the court are going to decide again. I'll work it out, I swear to you, but you have to know that no matter what happens, I love you."

"I know, I love you too."

He bent down and hugged her tightly, hating that tomorrow he would have to take her back to Darla and wait another week to see her.

"You like Buffy though, don't you bit?"

Dawn nodded against him before closing her eyes.

"Goodnight, Dawnie."

He kissed her forehead before he turned off the light and walked into the living room. Buffy was watching TV on the couch and she stood when he walked out.

"What's wrong?"

Spike smiled, touched that she could read him so quickly. "Just the usual, pet. I'm fine."

Buffy looked like she wanted to ask more but kissed his cheek instead and allowed him to hold her for a moment.

"Did Dawn have a good time today?"

He nodded. "I think you two hit it off pretty well."

"Bit of a shaky start though."

He chuckled. "Bloody awkward, wasn't it."

She punched him lightly on the chest and he mock pouted before kissing her again. He led her over to the rug in front of the television and pulled her down with him. "Anything good on?"

Buffy shrugged. "Not really."

"We could put a movie on."

She shook her head and he kissed her softly before looking into her eyes.

"Are we ok then?" she asked softly.

"Of course we are."

"I was worried.. about meeting Dawn. I didn't know if I could stand it if she hated me and you never wanted to see me again."

Spike smiled and brushed a stray lock of hair out of her eyes. "You would have to really hate each other for me to walk away from you. I was worried you would really get that I have a kid and run away."

She shook her head. "You're a good father, I can see why she loves you so much."

He kissed her again, and this time their tongues met briefly before she pulled back. "What about Dawn?"

He smiled. "I can hear if she gets up. We'll just have to make out like horny teenagers, can't take any clothes off for now."

She giggled and kissed him again, this time allowing him to deepen it until she felt lightheaded, her lips tingly. He rolled them so that he was half on top of her, one of his legs between hers. His thigh was placed just perfectly to rub against her right where she needed him.

"Spike.."

"Shh.." he whispered in her ear, sending a pleasant shiver down her spine. "I'm going to finish a bit of what I started, but we've got to keep quiet."

"But what about the clothes rule?"

"Didn't say I needed to take any clothes off did I?"

She raised an eyebrow and he smirked. "Just let me do all the work, pet."

He kissed her again and ran his hand down her side to her thigh, spreading her legs further he let her thighs cradle his hips and moved until his erection pressed intimately against her. The seam of her jeans, along with his hard ridge of flesh provided the perfect amount of friction against her clit.

He raised himself up on his forearms and watched her face as he rocked his hips against hers. "Feel good, sweetheart?"

Buffy nodded, not trusting herself enough to open her mouth for fear she'd let out a moan. Spike's grin turned wicked as he thrust harder against her, one hand fondling her breast through her t-shirt.

"God, pet, haven't done this since I was sixteen."

He buried his face in her neck and left open mouth kisses there before sucking gently. Her hands came up to clutch at his back, urging him on. She could feel it coming and held him tight against her as he continued pumping his hips and sucking on her neck.

She closed her eyes and bit down on his shoulder to muffle her cry as her orgasm rocked through her. He grunted into her neck and pressed hard against before going rigid for a second and moaning softly.

They lay together for a moment before he raised himself up so that he could look at her. "Bloody hell, Buffy, didn't think you where going to bite me."

She grinned up at him. "Guess you liked it though," she whispered looking down at the large wet spot on his jeans.

He mock glared at her before kissing her quickly. "That wasn't exactly part of my plan. Now I have to do laundry."

"Yeah? Well I probably have a hickey. Talk about high school."

"Sorry, kinda got carried away in the moment."

He leaned down and kissed her again, their tongues brushing softly against each other before he pulled back and looked down at her, suddenly serious.

"Buffy..."

He paused and she looked at him questioningly. "What is it?"

"I think..." Spike's mind was a jumble of emotion. He'd known Buffy only for a few months, but he felt more strongly for her than he had for anyone save possibly Drusilla. He thought back to how hard she'd tried all day to make an effort with Dawn and his heart swelled even more. He knew it in that moment that she was the one.

He kissed her again and pulled back. "I love you, Buffy."

Her momentary pause was all he needed to realize that he might have spoken too soon. He looked away and swallowed before glancing back at her shocked face. "Don't have to say anything.. Just thought you should know."

He kissed her again and stood. "I should change. I'll be right back."

He walked into the bathroom, leaving Buffy sitting on the floor in the living room, both their minds going a million miles a minute.
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=7700