Little by Little by facingthesun
Summary: William Giles is suffering from the heartache of losing his fiancée, Joyce, when he is forced to become the legal guardian of Joyce’s daughter, Buffy Summers.
Categories: NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 45017 Read: 24062 Published: 02/22/2005 Updated: 10/17/2005
Chapter 9 by facingthesun
Chapter 9

“Who were you talking to, honey?”

“Ooh, I love when you talk dirty. Again, princess.”

“It’s not dirty talk--hey! Get off of me!”

Buffy playfully batted William away. He was straddling her as she lay on her side, placing kisses down her body. He started high and ended with her heel.

“Come back.”

“Oh, now you want me.”

He moved up again and she was pulled on top of him.

“Always want you,” she said, snuggling into his side. “Tell me. Who was on the phone, baby?”

“I was talking to Lilah, my new boss. I was begging for her to let me start on Monday.”

“Early?”

“Yeah, by a week. Need something to do. If not I will probably lose my head and go to class with you.”

“That would be good,” she said, kissing his chest.

“Good, yeah, but inappropriate.”

“Are you ever appropriate?”

“Sometimes, kitten.”

“Well, if you’re working on Monday, we don’t have much time.”

“Where are you going? Who said you could get up?”

“Shower time. Up.” She squirmed as he wrapped his arms tightly around her.

“Why?”

“No whining, mister. We have things to do and people to see.”

“But, love, we were about to start doing things here; and besides, we don’t meet Red ‘till tonight.”

“We’re going shopping. Oh, don’t you start whining. We need to buy new clothes for Monday.”

“Why, you don’t like my clothes?”

“It’s tradition. Every year before school started, mom would get me a new outfit. Since you’re starting the new job, you get one too.”

“Oh. We can do that.”

“Yup and if you hurry with no more monkey business, I’ll let you pick out my underwear.”

“Underwear? Who said anything about underwear? No more of that, I demand it. They only get in the way.”

“Oh, so you didn’t have fun taking them off before?”

“When you put it that way...”
***

“How about this?”

“Spikey, I’m going to college, not Sunday school.”

Buffy put back the long sleeved, high-necked, low waist shirt. “Didn’t you go on and on about how nobody will notice me anyway?”

William ignored her comment. He gulped and shook his head each time she put another low-necked, thin, bit of nothing to her chest for his evaluation.

’Nobody but me should get to see her goodies…Mine.’

“You like?” Buffy compromised, hoping he’d like the black shirt. “It’s your favorite color...”

William judged the top and envisioned her in it. ’Like her in black. Hell, like her in everything…like her in nothing.’

“That’ll do,” he mumbled.

That was all Buffy needed; she grabbed the pants she had been eyeing and ran to the nearest checkout.

“Hey! You didn’t try on the top! It could be too tight! I didn’t even see those pants!” William said, chasing after her.
***

“I wish I could do this for a living. Turn.”

Buffy stood outside of the dressing rooms, near the doorway. William turned in front of the full length mirror, arms stretched out.

’Too bad I couldn’t just run past, when the guy isn’t looking.’

Buffy glanced at the dressing room attendant, who must have been reading her mind because he grunted and shook his head no.

”Damn,” she whispered.

“Hey, I’m the Barbie here.”

She looked back and smiled. She had picked out a dozen combinations for him to model.

“I love it. Next.” She waved her hands, shooing him into his dressing room.

William went back into his tiny changing room muttering about how he hated playing dress up.
***

“Why am I always your pack mule?”

“Because I have to save all my Mighty Mouse strength for pleasuring you.”

William’s eyes bugged out as he put their bags in the trunk and Buffy giggled.

“You like to do that, yeah?”

“Yeah, and to think I was only around Anya for a few hours. After Monday…”

’No. No Monday.’ William grabbed her, pushing her against the trunk, making sure she felt his erection as he whispered in her ear, “We’ve got three hours until we see Willow. I want you in the black, lacy one as soon as we get home, right?”

Buffy gasped, “Which black, lacy one? William, you bought me six bags of underwear...”
***

“What do you think, sweetie?”

William tried not to cringe as Willow poked and prodded Oz.

’A man of few words, I respect that. But can my bubbly little Red handle him?’ He was answered by looking at Willow and seeing that her eyes were sparkling. ’Oz, you lucky dog, you can do no wrong now.’

“So, Buffy are you going to take any photography classes at UC Sunnydale?”

“Yup.”

William felt a foot edge itself up his pant leg. ’So that’s why she insisted on sitting across from me.’

“Oh that’s super! Oz tell them about your photographic past.”

“I took classes in college. It was my minor.” Oz looked at Buffy, interested.

“Oh, what kind?”

“Black and white, traditional color, non-silver, digital.”

“Which did you like the most?”

Buffy’s foot landed in William’s lap. William moved forward, closer to the table, hoping he wasn’t giving Oz a show.

“Traditional color actually.”

“Really?” She began to stroke him with her big toe. “My advisor, who helped me with my schedule, was into digital. He said—William, are you okay?” She patted his hand, but her movements never stopped. “Anyway, he told me that traditional was archaic and a waste of time…”

William stopped paying attention to their conversation. ’She’s going to pay for this. I either walk out of here with a stiffy or I will burst here. Neither sounds too appealing.’

“Will, sweetie, you sure you’re okay?” Willow touched his shoulder and he jumped.

“Ah, pet, I was just zoning.”

“Well, welcome back. Buffy and I are going to the ladies’ room to powder.”

Willow kissed Oz quickly before the girls left.
***

“So, toes under the table too?”

William looked at the blue haired man, equally embarrassed and astonished. “Yeah, I guess we’re in the same boat, mate.”

Oz moved closer to the table too, a red tint to his face.
***

“She took the news well, yeah?”

Buffy closed the front door. “Who? What? Huh?”

She watched as William loosened him tie and walked into the kitchen.

“Red. She knows. About us.” He poured himself a glass on water and offered her some through gestures.

“No thanks. How do you know that she knows?

“Well, for starters love, you were both in the bathroom for over forty-five minutes. Then she came out unbelievably giddy and you guilty faced. There’s only so many times that Willow can say how great she thinks we are together until a guy catches on. I’m not daft, Buffy.”

“You mad?” Buffy inched closer to him.

“No.”

She reached for him and touched his arm. “I’m happy she’s okay with this, with us.’

Buffy took William’s drink and placed it on the counter, brushing her body against his.

William leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “I’m happy too, pet.”
***

“How long?”

“About an hour. We’d get there by seven.”

”I don’t want to go.”

It was Sunday evening. They had spent the day making love and watching television. They had finally gotten dressed and were sitting on the couch. The TV was not on; the house was silent. Buffy was on William’s lap, her head tucked under his chin.

“Are you nervous?”

“About what, pet?”

“Job.”

“Kinda.”

“I wish I could be here in the morning. I could see you in your new sexy business attire. Are you going to slick back your hair?”

“Probably. I have it curly-like only for you.”

“So I’ll run my fingers through it.”

“Exactly.”

William kissed the top of her head.

”I don’t want you to go either.”
***

“Let me walk you to your car.”

Buffy and William escaped the watchful eyes of Anya and Xander.

“I wish I knew how to drive.”

“Can’t be explained, your deadly driving, pet.”

They walked in the night, silent until they reached his car.

“Call me.”

“Okay.”

“You can email too.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll miss you, kitten.” Buffy fell in his arms, crying softly as William peppered her face and neck with kisses. “We can do this, pet.”

“I know.”

“I love you, Buffy.”

“I love you, too.”

“I should go, it’s getting late.”

“I know.”

“Buffy…”

Buffy inhaled his scent making sure she could keep it with her. He wiped her tear-streaked face with both of his thumbs and smiled.

“Have fun in school, Buffy.”
***

“Hey! Hi, you forgot this.”

Buffy turned towards the voice and nearly was run down by the sandy haired man. She was late for her next class, the last class of her day and she was looking forward to calling William as soon as she reached her dorm.

’Late. On the first day. That is never of the good.’

“Oh, thank you.” She grabbed her almost-forgotten ID from a large hand.

“You’re Buffy, right?”

Buffy finally looked up at the man. “Yes. Do I-.”

“I guess I made a lasting impression, huh? I’m sure you have met hundreds of new faces today. Anyway, I’m Riley Finn, you know Jenny Calendar’s shadow.”

“Oh, sorry, yeah way too many faces.”

Jenny Calendar was the Teacher’s Assistant that taught her photography class. Riley was one of the many first year graduate students in the program that helped her with their class.

’Wow, he’s tall’ Buffy noticed, during their awkward silence. He looked like he should be a football player and not a photographer. Riley ran a hand through his hair and smiled. ‘He looks like a big goof when he smiles.’

“So…”

“So…”

“Well, it was nice to see you again, Riley. Thanks for finding my ID. I really should be going to class now.”

“Oh, ok, I’ll see you on Thursday.”

As Buffy walked away from Riley, she was nearly knocked down again.

“Howdy doody, B. Who was that hunk of man? Or are you going to pretend to not know him too?”

“Faith, lets walk and talk. My poetry class starts in,” she looked at her watch, “three minutes. He’s like a TAA, you know the teacher assistant’s assistant. Anyway, you’re free to maul him if you want.”

“Your class in Mitchell Hall?”

“Yup.”

“Room 210?”

“I think so.”

“Looks like we’ll be class buddies. Isn’t that swell, B?”

“Swell. Let’s go, F.”
***

William had an office. He’d never had one before because he had always worked out of his home, primarily with his things scattered on the kitchen table. The office was tiny, but allowed him privacy as he wrote. He had had a pretty good start. He met Lilah and other co-workers.

As William unpacked his laptop, he saw a bright pink slip of paper in his bag.

William,
I hope you have a good day at work. I’ll be thinking about you all day.
Love,
Buffy

William folded her note, brought it to his lips and kissed her words with a sigh.
***

“How’s my studly newbie doing?”

William froze, afraid to turn towards the male voice. ‘Only in America would I have a guy hitting on me at work.’

“Hey there, cutie patootie. I can feel your vibes, they’re just screaming for advice.”

“The name’s William.”

“Oh, howdy. I’m Lorne, self-help guru.”

“Pleasure.” William murmured as he shook the man’s hand.

“So, sweet cheeks, is she pretty?”
***

“Lorne! Get away from William! He’s new!”

William looked towards the girl, happy for an excuse to get away from Lorne.

“Hey, honey pie, don’t worry I couldn’t crack him, try as I might.” Lorne got up and pushed in his chair. “Jeepers creepers, I have a one-o’clock. Toddles.”

William breathed a sigh of relief.

“Sorry, Lorne is always like that, you know um…”

“Pushy? Flamboyant? Loud?”

“Yeah, you definitely covered him well.” The small girl gave a weak laugh and smile. She had long brown hair and glasses. “Oh, where are my manners? I’m Winifred Burkle. Lilah sent me to make sure you were adjusting.”

“Nice to meet you, pet. I’m doing fine, but that guy gave me the willies.”

“Sorry.”

“So, what do you do here, love?”

“Oh, science…”
***

William arrived home tired and anxious. He wasn’t looking forward to sleeping in his bed alone. He really wanted to talk to Buffy and tell her about his day and ask about hers.

He pressed the red button of the answering machine.

“Hey, it’s me; I just got out of class. I realized I don’t have your work number. That sucks because I have been dying to call all day and now I’m talking to the empty house. Call me if you can. Love you. Bye.”
***

“Hey.”

“Hey! How was work?”

“Good. Nice people. I have an office.”

“Oh, really, does it have pretty furniture?”

“I guess so, kitten. You like office furniture?” William laughed at her excitement.

“Not really, I just want to know the details for when I fantasize about what you’re doing all day at work.”

“You’ve been fantasizing about me?”

“All day. Today was really boring. All we did was go over syllabuses.”

“Isn’t it syllabi?”

“I prefer buses. So, what are you doing?”

“Laying in bed talking to you.”

“Ooh, what you wearing?”

“Up for a little phone sex, are we pet?”

“Well, that depends if you’re up, if you know what I mean.”

“You little minx. I guess I should tell you, you know, to help with making your fantasies as realistic as possible.”

“Yup.”

“Do I get to know what you’re wearing?”

“Maybe. I asked you first, Spikey.”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing. Color me surprised. When do you wear clothes?”

“Ha ha. Your turn, princess.”

“I’m wearing the white gown, you know, the one with the lacy top--.”

“And the silky bottom. Yeah, I like that one.”

There was a silence.

“William?”

“Yeah, sweets?”

“Do you really want to do the phone sex thing? I mean, I have no idea what it is, but if you want to, I would.”

“Kitten, maybe soon, but not tonight. It’s only our first night apart. We could pick a date and plan, you know, have something to look forward to. But right now, I just want to hear your voice.”

“That sounds good. I like hearing your voice too.”

Buffy and William feel asleep, their ears still listening to the phone.
***

“Xander?” Buffy flashed him her biggest smile.

“What’s the what, Buffster? You usually don’t feed me just because.” Xander took a swallow of his soft drink.

“Well, Xand, we’re best friends and all and I would like to ask you a favor. And if you choose to accept it, I shall be your Buffy slave.”

“Buffy slave?” Xander tried to hide his excitement, nearly chocking on his hamburger.

“Yes, a favor—of the G-rated variety—but that’s only if you choose to accept my offer.”

“Which is?”

“Teach me how to drive.”

“Come again? You want me to let Buffy, also known as Hell on Wheels, drive?”

“Yes. I’ll try harder this time. I promise.” Buffy gave her best Summers Sad Puppy Eyes as she caressed his hand.

“Please, Xand?”

Xander looked panicked, but was finally defeated. “Damn your puppy eyes and soft caresses! Fine, but you are not using my car.”
***

“Here let me help you.” Riley pushed Buffy aside. Today the photography class was being introduced to the darkroom and to developing a print. Riley hadn’t left Buffy alone during the entire class.

“Riley--.”

“See you focus with the grain finder and--.”

“Is everything okay here, Buffy? Riley?”

“Sure Jenny, I was just helping Buffy here.”

“Sure.” Buffy plastered a fake smile on her face. She had been in photography for three years in high school and knew how to focus an image. “Riley, I’m okay. Why don’t you see if someone else needs helping?” Buffy pleaded, trying not to sound mean.

“Oh, but we need to develop your print now, it can be tricky--.”

“Riley, back off, I know what I’m doing.”

Buffy immediately felt bad as Riley’s goofy grin faded away. “Okay, Buffy if that’s what you want.”

“It’s just that I’m an independent worker, you see…”

“I’ll get out of your hair.” Riley turned on his heel and left her. Buffy felt bad for a few minutes until she was reminded how relaxing and calming photography can be, when working in silence.
***

“Psst. Hey…B…What the hell is that guy talking about?”

“Faith, it’s called poetry.”

“But isn’t Byron that guy who makes those frozen pizzas?”

“No. You’re thinking Red Baron.”

“Oh.”
***

“You still moping and missing your orgasm friend?”

“Go away Anya.” Buffy snuggled into the couch, watching her favorite movie.

“I know Patrick Swayze can cure many illnesses, but in your case I recommend calling him. I don’t think William will mind.”

“I have called him, twice today and I feel like an idiot. I only have to wait until tomorrow and then I will see him but it’s nearly killing me—hey, how do you know William’s my orgasm friend?”

“Buffy, I hear you screaming his name when you’re pleasuring yourself.”

“Go away Anya!”
***
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=8751