Time Out of Mind by lucky021
Summary: Spike is the only survivor after the battle with Wolfram and Hart, but it wasn't supposed to happen that way. Now he has a chance to go back and fix it, starting with finding Buffy.
Categories: General NC-17 Fics Characters: None
Genres: Romance, Angst
Warnings: Adult Language, Sexual Situations
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 4502 Read: 1043 Published: 03/06/2005 Updated: 03/06/2005

1. 1 by lucky021

1 by lucky021
A/N: I have a sequel planned that will satisfy the last requirement, so don't worry, I didn't forget. This is written for spikes_heart for the kinkathon, her kink being reunion fic, baby fic, Spike and Buffy as equals, with a good claiming bite, Buffy being apologetic for her past behavior, acknowledgement of Spike's growth and sacrifice in Chosen by those meddlesome Scoobies, Giles included. Rated NC-17. Enjoy!

***

"Are you kidding me?!"

Silence greeted her exclamation.

A sigh. "What about Angel?"

"Okay, okay, not his destiny. I can't believe it's all gonna come down to this one's choices."

She sighed again and rolled her eyes before walking to the bloody and battered figure on the floor. She kicked him once then winced.

"Well how else am I supposed to wake him up?"

She closed her eyes, trying to keep from going into full blown annoyance. She bent and pushed him onto his back. "Spike?"

One blue eye opened slowly, and she finally felt something when she saw the pain reflected there. "You've got to wake up."

He opened the other eye and tried to sit up, but he hurt too much and settled for tilting his head toward the voice. "Where am I?"

"It doesn't matter. What does matter is that things weren't supposed to go down the way that they did."

"Angel? Where is he, what about the others?"

"Listen, I don't have a lot of time to explain this. You shouldn't have been in LA all that time, Angel shouldn't have done some of the things he did. I wasn't supposed to give him that vision so soon."

Spike noticed the pain flash across the woman's face before she looked back down at him.

"So what? You're giving me a chance to make it right?"

She shrugged. "Not my idea. Trust me, really not my idea. Fred, Wes, Gunn, they weren't supposed to die like they did." She swallowed. "Neither was Angel."

Spike felt his heart clench at the confirmation of his death. "What can I do about it, not like I can go back in time and..." he trailed off and looked up at her. "You're bloody well kidding me."

She shook her head. "You're going back, just a few months. Remember when you planned to go after Buffy and you chickened out?"

"Hey!"

"Well you should have gone back. So you're going back, and you're saying your goodbyes to the team, and then you're getting your ass to Rome and tracking down that girl, and you're not going to try to be noble about it. Do you understand?"

"How the bloody hell is me finding Buffy and disrupting her life going to prevent everything that came after?"

"I'm sure you'll figure it out when it happens. Just.. Spike?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't mess this up. It's not just Angel and his crowd that's counting on you. Buffy needs you too."

"Wait.. what the hell am I supposed to-"

Before he could finish there was a flash of white, and Spike found himself in the lobby of Wolfram and Hart, completely healed, and totally confused.

***

"Spike!"

Buffy shot up in her bed, a sheen of cold sweat covering her body. She ran a shaky hand through her hair and took a deep breath. She reached for the water on her bedside table and took a deep drink before swinging her legs off the bed and making her way to the kitchen.

Dawn was already up, and by the sympathetic look on her face, Buffy knew she had been yelling in her sleep again.

"Rough night?"

Buffy just shrugged and poured herself a cup of coffee. "No class today?"

Dawn shook her head. "No, it's a reading day."

"But I suppose you won't be spending the day actually doing that."

Dawn grinned. "Not when it'll be the first time my sister and I have the day off together."

Buffy smiled, her day brightening considerably at the thought of spending some long overdue time with her sister. "So what do you want to do?"

"Shopping first. We finally have money, and this is the first time we haven't been spending it. I'm thinking we deserve it at this point."

Buffy nodded. "I can't remember the last time we went shopping, I mean really shopping."

"I thought it might cheer you up a little."

Buffy turned away from her sister, pretending to fiddle with the coffee maker. "I've been cheery, loads of cheer."

"Buffy..."

She turned at the feel of the hand on her shoulder. "He didn't mean it."

Buffy shrugged, trying to keep the tears threatening to fall from doing just that. "He had every reason to mean it. And now I'll never..." she trailed off and straightened.

She turned to Dawn and smiled, her watery eyes belying her expression. "Let's not get into this. I don't think weepy Buffy makes a good shopping buddy. Let me go take a shower, and we'll go."

Dawn nodded and squeezed Buffy's hand before letting her go.

Once she was in the bathroom, with the shower on, she let the tears come. She was sure Dawn could probably hear her sobs over the sound of the shower, but she didn't have the energy to care. It wasn't like it was anything new. There hadn't been a day since the closing of the hellmouth that Buffy hadn't shed a tear for Spike.

***

Spike felt around the pockets of his duster, trying to reacquaint himself with the past. He found a note he'd made himself on how to borrow Angel's jet and smiled. He'd decided to take a longer, less traceable route last time, but that had only succeeded in convincing him the whole thing was a bad idea. He wouldn't make that mistake again.

Voices behind him caught his attention, and he turned to see Wes and Fred approaching him. He wasn't prepared for the strength of the emotions he experienced upon seeing them alive and well again.

All of it was a blur as he tried to play it cool while saying goodbye. He gave in and hugged Fred tightly, figuring that wasn't too out of character. She'd made her way deeply into his heart early on. He drank in the sight of Gunn and Wesley, realizing just how important they'd become to him. Finally, he turned to Angel, and even while bantering with his grand-sire as he was expected, he tried to convey a little of what he felt for the other vampire.

They hated each other, but they'd always loved each other too. Losing him hit Spike harder than anything else during his conversation with that very familiar looking higher power. He remembered suddenly, the reason he was back and broke away from them.

He stopped this time to say goodbye to Harmony, and felt a little bit better when her face brightened, but he didn't stick around long enough to make anything of it. Something was nagging him as he walked to the elevator and he caught a scent that brought out something angry and hurt in him. He glanced around and caught Knox talking to Fred.

He debated for a moment before deciding to intervene. Though he'd grown a little fond of Illyria, he couldn't let Fred go like she had before, both for her and Wesley. He made his way up the stairs and grabbed the boy before he'd even seen Spike coming.

***

Though he'd managed to avert one crisis with a minimal amount of explanation, his biggest fight was still ahead of him.

Although, he was really hoping there would be no fighting at all, rather, he hoped for a tiny blonde slayer to jump into his arms and make him hers again without any words needed.

For the first time since knowing Buffy, he didn't want to have to talk about anything. He didn't need to hear her say it, he didn't want to explain where he'd been, he didn't want to see her friends and their looks, and he certainly didn't want to hear Dawn's threats.

He just wanted to have her in his arms again.

But he knew that nothing with Buffy was ever that easy.

He took a deep breath and raised his hand to knock on her door. He'd had to wait until sunset to get out of the airport, and it was driving him insane. By that time he'd found out where she was staying, and he'd mapped out five different routes, categorizing them by walking distance and the amount of time it would take to arrive.

Finally, he knocked and waited. He heard people inside talking, and they sounded happy. He couldn't help but worry about what he was doing, but if the powers that be were telling him to get there, who was he to refuse?

The door opened to reveal Dawn with a glass of what must have been champagne. He held his non-existent breath and waited for her to look at him.

"I don't know who it is, hold-"

She turned and he attempted a smile, though he was sure his nervousness shown through like a beacon.

"Hello, Bit."

Dawn dropped her glass and the blood rushed from her face.

"Dawn?"

She swayed and Spike panicked, if she fainted, he wouldn't be able to catch her, as he hadn't been invited in yet.

She caught herself on the door and blinked once. "Spike?"

He smiled softly. "Yeah, it-"

"Dawn, who is it?"

Warmth rushed through him at the sound of her voice. He looked up the stairs and met her eyes. He wished he could speak, but he couldn't think of a single thing to say.

Dawn glanced back and forth between them before shaking her head and looking back at him. "Come in, Spike."

He stepped inside and smiled at Dawn thankfully. She closed the door behind him and they stood, Buffy at the top of the stairs, Dawn and Spike at the bottom. Spike and Buffy held each other's gaze, unable to stop looking at each other, too busy being amazed.

They were silent for a long while before Dawn finally spoke up. "Umm... I guess I'll say it. What the hell is going on?"

The enraptured couple finally looked away from each other and to Dawn. Spike shook himself and ran a hand through his bleached locks. "It's... well it's kind of a long story. Can we sit somewhere?"

Dawn nodded and motioned for him to follow her up the stairs. Before he could reach Buffy she walked ahead of them, apparently aware of where Dawn was heading. He sighed, not sure what it meant that she hadn't made any attempt to touch him or speak to him. He was hoping she was just in a bit of shock and that it would wear off soon enough, but a bigger part of him was wondering if she wanted him there at all.

They walked past the dining room, and Spike saw a few other women looking at them curiously. He avoided their eyes, suddenly embarrassed, unsure of what their reaction to him would be once they were all alone.

They stepped into a room that must have been a study. There was a couch in the corner and a desk across from it. Buffy settled into the single chair at the desk and Spike's spirits dropped lower. He stayed standing, leaning on the wall by the couch, avoiding Buffy's eyes.

"I'm going to go get them out of here, I'll be right back."

"What will you tell them?"

Spike looked up at the sound of her voice. He looked at Dawn, hoping to gauge their reaction from Dawn's choice of words.

She looked from her sister to the vampire. "I'll just... I guess I'll tell them someone from Sunnydale turned up, that should explain just enough."

Spike fought not to be visibly effected. Neither spoke while Dawn was gone and Spike was becoming more and more worried about his decision. He was relieved when the younger Summers returned and closed the door.

"So are you ready to tell us what's going on?"

She stepped between them and sat on the couch. Spike tried to gather his thoughts, but everything was jumbled in his head, still too worried about Buffy's non-reaction to think. Finally, he started to speak.

"When you saw me last... I was sure I was done for, I was done for, actually. Burned up completely, hurt like hell, and the next thing I know, I'm thrust screaming back into the world. But I was a ghost, and I was with Angel for some reason. Someone found the amulet and sent it his way, guess I popped out of that."

He looked over to Buffy and sighed when she remained looking down.

"For a while I was stuck in LA, kept popping back to Wolfram and Hart whenever I tried to leave. Finally, a box shows up, and next thing I know I'm walking into walls instead of through them. I realize that I can get out of California, and I decide..." he stopped, unsure of what to tell her. The choice had really been made for him, and now he was thinking it was stupid to begin with, unless the fate of his friends relied on him being shot down again. Judging by his past, that just might be what the fates had in store for him.

More silence. Spike was getting annoyed. He hated silence, and he hated being stuck in a space like this. He was more uncomfortable than he had been in a long time, and it was all that bitch from beyond's fault.

"Look, obviously this was a bloody stupid idea. I just thought it would be better if you knew.. that I was still around, thought I should be the one to tell you. Now that that's done, I'll just-"

"Where were you?"

Spike looked up, hope swelling in his heart at the sound of Buffy's voice. "I was in LA, remember, Angel and all-"

"No.. I mean.. when you were gone. Between the hellmouth and Angel."

He wasn't sure what he should tell her. He didn't remember anything between dying and coming out of the amulet, but if he were going anywhere, it seemed like he wasn't destined for the place she was sent.

"I don't remember."

Buffy looked at him like she knew he was lying, but said nothing. He sighed and pushed himself off the wall before walking to the door. "It was good to see you both again," he said softly.

"Spike, wait."

He turned and saw that Buffy had risen from her chair. "I... Spike, I..." tears filled her eyes and he softened instantly, stepping close to her.

"Shhh.. It's alright, luv."

It was the endearment that broke her. She let out a terrible sob before he pulled her into his arms. She wrapped herself around him, her body shaking against his.

Dawn stood, her own eyes a little wet. "I'll give you some time alone." She stopped by the door and looked back at Spike. "I'm really.. I'm so glad you're back."

He opened his mouth to reply but she was already out the door, closing it softly behind her. Spike buried his face in Buffy's hair, his own eyes stinging with tears as he held her again for the first time in too long.

Eventually, she pulled back and looked up at him. "Why didn't you tell me you were back?"

"I'm here aren't I?"

She shook her head. "No, when you first got back."

He smiled sadly. "Wasn't sure what kind of reception I'd get. And I didn't fancy telling you over the phone, remember the I couldn't leave LA part?"

Buffy nodded and buried her face back into his chest. "I've missed you so much, when I saw you at the door... I didn't want to believe it was you, I couldn't take finding out this was a dream."

He smiled into her hair and rubbed her back. "Not a dream. And I've missed you, Buffy. I've wanted to call you, come to you.. so many times I wrote you a letter, but I couldn't take finding out that..."

She pulled back and brought her hands up to cup his face. "I meant it. You bastard, you were serious!"

He looked away but she held him. "Spike, look at me..."

He finally turned his gaze back to her. "I love you. The world's not ending, you're not doing me any favors, it's just us, here, with no responsibilities or worries... And, Spike, I love you... I love you so much."

He didn't react for a few seconds, and she was worried until he closed his eyes and let out a deep breath, tears that he hadn't realized were there fell. He leaned his forehead against hers and pulled her hard against him. "God, Buffy.. I love you too, can't believe I ever doubted it, but I can see it now."

He kept his eyes open, gazing into hers as his lips finally met hers. It was soft at first, but the passion increased exponentially until he had to pull back to let her breathe. Buffy leaned against him, trying to catch her breath, but finding it nearly impossible with his lips and tongue on her neck.

Finally, she managed to push him back, and almost giggled at the confused look on his face. "Spike, wait.. we should.. we should wait-"

"Why?"

Buffy looked up at him and opened her mouth to speak but could think of nothing. "Okay, screw waiting, but let's move to my room."

He nodded and wrapped his arms around her from behind as she led him to her bedroom. They bumped into walls and barely remained upright until they stepped inside. His clever hands had already made their way under her shirt and bra and were playing with her nipples, making it hard not to moan aloud as they passed Dawn's room.

She could feel his hardness pressed into her back and it caused a new flood of liquid heat to gush from between her thighs. Finally, they made it into her room and he followed her in, turning to close to door and found himself pushed against it, effectively slamming it closed.

Buffy pushed his shirt up and dropped to her knees, her lips covering the skin just above his waistband.

"Shirt. Off" she whispered, her hands already working on his pants. He complied quickly and tossed his duster and t-shirt to the side. At the same time she finished unbuttoning his pants and freed his achingly hard erection.

"Oh, fuck Buffy!"

She smiled up at him and stood to kiss him quickly before sinking back down to her knees and taking his cock in her hands, stroking him softly. He groaned and banged his head against the door when he felt her tongue rub around the head of his shaft.

"Buffy.. yess, please."

She considered making him beg a little more, but dismissed the idea. She wanted it just as much as he did, and was too hot to tease now. She licked his cock up and down, tracing veins and cupping his balls in her hands.

He moaned louder and gasped when she finally took him into her mouth, bobbing slowly up and down.

"Yesss, Buffy, fuck.. suck me, oh god! Harder!"

She smiled around his dick and took him in further, lashing her tongue around the head on the upstroke. She loved getting him so hot that all he could mutter were dirty words and her name.

Spike looked down at her, loving the sight of her pretty lips wrapped around his cock, her hot little mouth taking him in. His hands were resting on her shoulders, but she pulled his hands up until they were wrapped around her hair, holding it out of her face so that he could see her mouth on him clearly.

She could tell he was getting close and bobbed faster on him. Her panties soaked straight through when he took a tighter hold of her head and began thrusting gently in and out. She moaned around him and he began thrusting faster, his breath coming in quick sharp pants.

"Buffy.. I'm so close.. love to see your hot mouth on my cock, love fucking it... fuck I'm gonna come, you want it?"

She moaned around him and he smiled. "Yeah.. take it.. oh Buffy, yes.. fuck, love you Buffy!"

He jerked against her and she swallowed as quickly as she could, stroking him until he was completely spent. He pulled her up quickly and kissed her, cleaning up the last of his spendings from her lips. She moaned into his mouth and her pushed her toward her bed. He made short work of her clothes and kneeled on the floor, throwing her legs over his shoulders.

She propped herself up on her elbows so that she could watch him worship at her pussy. He smiled before kissing her inner thighs softly. His nose brushed against her clit and she jerked, her head falling back as she let out a moan.

He licked around her clit, never coming fully into contact with it as she grew more and more wet. His chin glistened with her juices and he finally sucked her needy button into his mouth. She cried out and tangled one of her hands in his hair.

"You're so beautiful like this, Buffy... so fucking amazing."

She allowed herself to fall onto her back and brought one hand up to tug at her nipples as he slid two fingers inside her, fucking her gently. She couldn't speak, all the blood was rushing toward her cunt.

"Do you want to come, luv?"

"Spike.. please!"

He smiled. "No need to beg, pet," he bent immediately and sucked on her clit once more while finding the spot inside her that always guaranteed explosive results. Buffy's body bowed off the bed and she screamed out his name, nearly pulling out a chunk of his hair at the same time.

He licked her until the tremors stopped and crawled his way up her body. She wrapped her arms around him and licked his face clean of her juices before kissing him deeply.

His cock was hard again and pressed against her thigh.

"Feeling good, kitten?"

She smiled goofily. "What do you think?"

He chuckled and kissed her. "Anything else you want?"

"Yeah, just let me... ohh.." She tilted her hips slightly and let the head of his cock slip inside. He closed his eyes and slid the rest of the way in on one stroke.

He shook above her, all the longing of the past few months crashing down on him. "I missed you, Buffy... I'm so sorry I didn't find you earlier."

"Shh... That's over now."

She felt him trembling and held him tighter. "I'm not letting you go this time. I swear, I won't make the same mistakes I did before."

"You didn't-"

"Yes.. I was horrible, and even after you came back, I... We only had one night to make things right because of me, and even then I couldn't tell you...." She kissed him softly. "I love you, and I'm going to make it up to you.. all of it."

Spike buried his head in the crook of her neck, the emotions between them too heavy. He began thrusting gently inside her, and moaned when he felt her thrust back. It was going to be over soon, even with their earlier activities, he still wanted her too much to last very long.

He propped himself up on his forearms to give him more leverage, and so that he could look down at her. She moved her hands from his back to his face, tracing the scar on his eyebrow before pulling him back down to kiss her.

Their kiss turned from tender to passionate, and it didn't take long after he began to push into her harder and faster for them to a reach a mutual climax. His name on her lips followed by her admission of love was the sweetest thing he'd ever heard.

They lay together afterward on their sides facing each other.

"Can you trust me about something?"

Buffy looked at him strangely for a moment before nodding. "Of course. Of course I trust you."

"I mean, if I tell you something, you can go with it on faith. I can't really explain it to you, but I need you to know something."

"Tell me," she whispered, kissing his cheek.

"Seeing you again.. that's why I'm here. But that's not the only reason..."

***

"Wesley's given me some interesting notes on Spike, shall I have them sent to you?"

Buffy smiled at Giles' tone. Ever since Spike had come back into her life, Giles had been trying to accept him more and more, but she knew he found it difficult. It was hard to see his surrogate daughter with the last man... or vampire on earth he'd have chosen for her, but he was coming around.

Spike made her happy, Giles could tell that much, and Buffy suspected the complete turnaround she'd done emotionally after Spike's return convinced him more than anything.

"Yeah, send the notes. Make sure you keep some, though, I have some.. kind of interesting news you should know about."

She could hear him cleaning his glasses, and didn't want to think about how he'd react to what she needed to tell him.

"Should I brace myself then?"

"I think that would be best."

Giles grimaced and sat down. "Alright, I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

She grabbed Spike's hand and squeezed.

"It'll be alright, luv."

She smiled and closed her eyes. "Giles... what can you tell me about prophesies involving slayers, vampires and their future offspring?"

She heard the phone drop and flinched before he picked it up again.

"Giles? You there?"

"Did you tell him the part about the twins yet, luv?"

"Spike!"

"Oh dear Lord."

***
This story archived at http://https://spikeluver.com/SpuffyRealm/viewstory.php?sid=9137