Chapter four: Like living on a Hellmouth

“Ugh, I hate Mondays.” Xander said and sat down at the table where Buffy, Willow, Tara and Oz were already seated. “Oh, they’re not so bad. I mean, we both have computer class and history and I, for one, think both subjects are very interesting…” Xander glared at Willow, “or not, whatever.” She sank back down in her seat and Tara smiled at her. “I think Mondays are really fun.” Willow brightened up a bit and grabbed her girlfriends’ hand. “Thanks,” she mouthed back to her.

“Guys, have you thought anything about the prom. I mean, you don’t have dates yet, do you?” Xander asked the group. “Xan, you do know the prom’s not for another two months, at least?” Xander looked sheepish. “Yeah, I know. Just… wondering.” “Well I was thinking about asking Jonathan to go with me,” Willow said and all eyes stared at her in aw. Tara choked on her juice, “WHAT?” Buffy asked her, thinking her best friend had gone nuts. But Willow just grinned. “I’m kidding, you guys. I’m already taken.” She squeezed Tara’s hand and they exchanged a warm look. “Of course you are, ‘cause you’re made for each other. You fit, like a piece of a puzzle. Not like me, I was made for only myself. I’m an already finished puzzle, a one piece puzzle.” Buffy sulked.

“That’s not true, sweetie. Believe me, one day you’ll meet the perfect guy for you and you will click together like a puzzle for a 3 year old. Trust me.” Willow patted her back and gave her a reassuring smile. “Yeah, all right.” Her eyes drifted to the A- group table and there he was, looking better than ever. But with a big, ugly zit on his face, aka Darla. She was all over him and Buffy felt her blood starting to boil. “God, I hate that girl,” she said to herself. Or so she thought. “Who?” Xander asked. “Huh, oh no one. Just… Darla.” They all just rolled their eyes. “Come on Buffy, you have to get over him. You deserve something much better than him. He’s… well he’s a… well he doesn’t deserve you.” Willow stated. “But he’s just so perfect. I mean look at him.” Buffy pouted.

“You need to find someone else. I know! The next guy who walks through that door…” She pointed to the cafeteria door. “The next guy who walks through there, he will be the new object of your affection.” Willow smiled brightly, thinking her idea was brilliant. “Oh, come on Wills. That never works. What if it’s Andrew or… or… god, Jonathan?” Buffy asked. Just then the doors open and in walked neither Andrew nor Jonathan. “Or worse,” Buffy continued, without noticing the guy entering the cafeteria. “What if it’s…” She turned around to see none other than Riley Finn walking over to their table. “…him?”

Buffy couldn’t help but stare at him. *Well, at least it’s not Andrew or Jonathan… or Spike.* A shiver went down her spine. *That would have been horrible.* He smiled brightly at Buffy as he passed their table. “Hey guys,” he said but only Xander greeted him back. “Hey there, mate.” Every one else was staring at Buffy who couldn’t take her eyes of Riley. *He’s actually not that bad. If you squint your eyes, he actually looks a lot like… Angel.* Buffy’s smile brightened. “Hey, Riley.” She waved to him and he waved back and… *did he just blink me.* Her heart was pounding against her chest. *Not bad, not bad at all.* She turned to Willow. “Ok, maybe not such a bad idea.” She blushed slightly and Willows eyes widened. “Really,” she said, a little bit too enthusiastically. “I mean, I know. Of course it is.”

Buffy shrugged and continued with her meal, occasionally casting glances at Riley’s table, and then at Angel. * I could definitely do this.* She smiled to herself. In her head she was already starting to form a plan.

**************

“Stupid, ugly, lock. Why won’t you open?” Buffy had been struggling with her locker for at least five minutes now and she was gonna be late for class. “Ugh,” she growled in frustration. “Fine, I won’t have my books that. I’ll just tell Mr. Travers my locker ate my books.” She stuck out her tongue at the locker and turned around to leave.

“Trouble in paradise,” a low British accent asked her from behind. She rolled her eyes and faced him. “What are you talking about?” He just shrugged, “you and your locker. Seem to be arguing a lot lately. Have you considered therapy? Works, you know. I tried it with mine, and we haven’t argued since.” He smirked at her and was about to lit his cigarette when it suddenly disappeared and was crushed in the small, petite hands of Buffy. “Oi, you know how much those cost?”

“Huh, what do you want Spike?” He just reached into his bag and pulled out a book. Exactly the book she needed. “Here, take mine. Don’t need it anyway.” She raised her arm and backed away. “I’m not taking your book. It’s probably all covered in germs and… and it smells weird.”

“Well, pet. You can either take it or listen to Quinty go on and on about how bloody important it is to have your books and how it might stop the bloody world hunger. You know how passionate he gets about those books.” She slowly pulled the book out of his hand. “Then what are you gonna use?” He just shrugged and walked away, in the opposite direction from the classroom. “’m not going to class, luv. Got somewhere else to be.” He quickly strolled off and the bell rang. Buffy ran into the classroom and sat down next to Willow.


Quentin Travers walked in and the whole classroom went silent. “Good morning students.” “Good morning, Mr. Travers.” The classroom mumbled. Quentin Travers was the most hated teacher in the school, even the teachers and Principle Wood hated him. Every one except Vice principal Snyder and the A- group. Quentin loved the A- group, because most of them had rich parents. The others he loathed. They were below his dignity. He was the teacher that made high school like living on a Hellmouth.

“Open your books at page 237. Today we’ll learn about… Power.” He smirked at the students who seemed to shiver in their seats. The redhead finally noticed the awful state Buffy’s book was in and mouthed to her. What have you done to your book?

It’s not my book, it’s Spike’s!At the confused look in her friend’s eyes, she added.

Long story, tell you after class.

**************

“So he just gave you his book, and ran off. He didn’t say where he had to go?” Willow and Buffy sat down at one of the fountains outside the school. “Nope, he just ran off, said he had somewhere better to be.” Willow shook her head. “He’s so gonna flunk out of school if he keeps this up. He hardly ever shows up, and when he does, he usually is sporting a new black eye or something that shows he was in a fight. You might think he’s a boxer or something.” “Or just a very angry person.” They both shrugged, “well, I don’t think you can get expelled from school if you get into a lot of fights outside of school.” Buffy stated. “Ugh, I’m getting sick of just thinking about that guy. Let’s talk about something else, shall we? Something fun!”

“Why do you hate him so much, Buffy? I mean, has he ever done anything to you… just asking.” She quickly added after noticing the awful look in her friend’s eyes. “He’s just so… irritating. With his stupid accent and stupid leather coat and stupid bleached hair and he’s just so… stupid!” She crossed her arms over her chest and pouted. “I think we’ve established so far that you think he’s… stupid. Am I right?” She grinned at her friend. “Double stupid!” Buffy added. “But why do you think so? I mean, you barely know the guy.” “What’s with the whole trial thing, Wills? I’m starting to think you have a thing for Spike.” She blinked at the redhead who blushed feverishly. “I just think it’s unfair of you to judge someone so badly without really knowing him, that’s all. Can’t you just give him a change?”

Willow surveyed her friend who seemed to really be considering what she had just asked her of. She knew deep down and so did Tara, that hate wasn’t the only thing Buffy felt for the bleached wonder. And they both knew for a fact that Spike was definitely interested in her. But it was really difficult to get her to see that.

“I guess, I have been a little too harsh on him,” she answered, shyly. “But this doesn’t mean me and Spike are gonna become bestest of buddies. No freaking way. That’s out of the picture, got it?” Willow nodded aggressively. *Yey, it’s working. Tara is gonna be so proud of me.*

TBC

A/N For those of you who have been reading this fic and my other fic, That kind of love I've decided to take a break from these stories even though they haven't gotten really far. The reason is that I really want to start a new story that has been rolling around in my head for years now and I really want to write it, but can't really focus on it and these two stories all at once. The new story is post Chosen and it has a human Spike in it and something that I haven't seen in a lot of stories... have to read to find out what!

I hope you won't be dissapointed about my decision, those of you who read my first two fics but for your comfort, I WILL finish them... just not yet!
Anywhoo, just wanted to give you the heads up!
Thx Lolita