Chapter two: More than innocence was lost

Two weeks later…

It was a cold night. Buffy had been patrolling now for about half an hour and even the vampires seemed to avoid the cold. A shiver went up her spine and she realized that for the first time that night, a vampire was near. She slowed her pace and tried to get a sense of her surroundings, and heard a tweak snap.

“Come out, come out, whatever you are! I promise I won’t hurt you…” Huh, like anyone would fall for that one. She turned around and peered into the night. Whatever this was, it didn’t seem keen on showing its face. She took three steps forward and raised her stake.

“I’m not in the mood for hide and seek so just make it easier on both of us and come out.” She heard footsteps coming up from behind her and spun around, stake raised high. But she quickly lowered it when she saw who it was.

“Spike?”

“Slayer,” he nodded his head to her. “Who ‘you talking to?”

“There’s someone here and it WON’T SHOW ITSELF.” She yelled out at nothing at all and Spike cocked his head and looked around. But all he sensed was the fragrant he’d smelled just outside his crypt tonight. A very familiar scent, like the perfume he’d given her in the 1950’s. But he was damned if he was gonna tell Buffy about it.

His plan was to find Dru, stop her from whatever madness she was up to now and make sure she never returned to Sunnydale. But he had to be quick before the slayer found her.

“What ‘you think it is?” He leaned against a tomb stone and lit a cigarette. She was pacing back and forward, careful to avoid eye contact with him.

“Luv, you’re gonna make a whole in the ground if you don’t stop. What’s up with you?”

“Uh, listen… I kinda needed to talk to you… about… that night in the alley.” He flinched at her words and ground out his cigarette.

“There’s nothin to talk about.” He stared at the ground and she felt the same wave of guilt she’d been feeling lately, wash all over her. *Oh, god. He hates me. I blew it, its over.*

“I just wanted to say… that I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have done that and…” but he didn’t allow her to continue.

“Just drop it slayer,” he wanted to be mad at her, he wanted to yell and scream at her and make her feel all the pain she’d put him through, but he couldn’t. Because like he had known for over a year now, he couldn’t stand to see her in pain. He’d jump off a cliff (or in his case, let a Hell god beat the crap out of him) to save her from suffering. And that only made things worse.

“But I just wanted to apologize… I really didn’t…”

“Look, just forget it, ok! All’s forgiven and all that rot. Just let it go.” He looked kinda sad when he said it, and something told Buffy, there was more to it than that!

“Ok,” she half whispered. “So, friends?” She knew it sounded lame, considering all they had gone through, but she was just glad he was at least talking to her. She knew she wouldn’t want to, if someone had treated her as badly as she had treated him.

“Yeah, ‘course luv.” He didn’t seem disappointed, if anything he looked kinda relieved. Just like she was feeling right now. She couldn’t help but smile. *Ok, the ‘friends’ part is over, now how will I convince him that I love him.* That was a puzzle. She didn’t think she had the guts to tell him that, at least not yet. First they had to get through this mess she had caused, and then she could focus on taking it a step further. She didn’t want to ruin the friendship they had.

But something totally different was going on in his head. *Friends, yeah right! If she ever finds out I’m hiding Dru from her, I’ll be dust so quick I won’t be able to say…*

“Bugger!” Buffy looked up at him and then in the direction he was looking. Her jaw almost hit the ground at what she saw. Drusilla was standing there, swaying in the moonlight, singing some doodle to herself, gazing at Spike with lust full eyes. Buffy turned to Spike, furious, and than back at Drusilla, who seemed to be laughing.

“What the hell are you doing here, Drusilla?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Drusilla just smiled and kept swaying to the song she was singing.

“My sweet William has been a bad boy… and bad boys need to be punished,” she singsonged and stepped closer to the two blondes. Buffy immediately raised her stake, but felt a hand on hers and looked at Spike. What she saw almost crushed her heart. He was practically begging her with his eyes, to let Drusilla go.

But as she was about to say something, his eyes widened in horror as something caught his attention behind her. She had already turned halfway around when she felt a sharp sting in her neck. She managed to turn to Drusilla to see a big, 70’s looking vampire standing next to her with a shot gun. She heard Spike call out to her and grab her around the waist to keep her steady, but everything was too blurry. She moved her hand up to her neck and pulled out some sort of syringe. *Shhe drugggedd meee…* Even her thoughts seemed to fade together. *Thaaat crrraaazyy looon drugggeeedd…*

And everything went black….

**************

She was in heaven… this had to bee heaven. No one could dream such a good dream.

She was lying in a big, soft bed, covered in white satin sheets and the softest pillows she had ever laid her head on. The bed was centered in a big, bright, white room, and long, white, see-through curtains were flowing all around in the soft breeze coming from the window. She heard singing. A woman and it sounded like she was singing a lullaby, just like the one her mother had always sung for her and Dawn when they were girls. Everything felt wonderful. Everything WAS wonderful. And one thing made all those things seem like tiny, unimportant details.

She was lying, wrapped up in strong, muscular arms. She could have recognized those arms anywhere. She smiled as she thought about all the things those hands had done to her to bring her pleasure.

Gone was the black nail polish. His hands were clean, not as rough and the scars had faded. She pulled his arms tighter around her and sighed. This was definitely heaven. She smiled and slowly turned around to look at his beautiful, angelic face… and cried out a painful scream.

His face… full of pain and torment. It was beyond words, the look of horror on his face as he stared down at her with hateful eyes. She tried to break free from his grasp, but it only tightened around her.

“Spike…” she gasped. “Please.” His strong hold on her was almost suffocating as she struggled to get loose. She closed her eyes so she wouldn’t have to look at his demonic face. But then she heard a voice...

“Buffy…” It seemed to be far away, but it was so familiar… and so beautiful.


“Buffy, luv, wake up…” She finally managed to open her eyes again, and she was surrounded by darkness. She gasped and her lungs filled with much needed air.

“Buffy… you ok?” The voice sounded worried. She frantically looked around to try to find its location. And then she saw them, the most gorgeous, blue eyes she had ever seen. And they weren’t full of hate…

Quite the opposite…