Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow! You guys absolutely blew me away with the reviews!
Do you know how much those reviews all helped? Seriously, I wrote (including sticking in my already written bits) 32 pages this week.....reviews apparently really do help me write faster.

And thanks to Nikki for beta'ing this for me.
Chapter 19: The Bronze

The Bronze didn’t look any different from the last time Buffy had been there, but still it seemed so…..different.

Maybe it was because she hadn’t been there since she was married and before then it had always been with Angel. Maybe it was just that she never thought she’d be here with anyone else…or maybe, she just had her mind on too many things.

Making the decision then and there, Buffy decided that she wasn’t going to think about her mother’s question that night; she was just going to have fun and worry about it later. She knew it would work too, at least subconsciously, because when it came to her feelings for William, Buffy was the Queen of Denial.

“Care for a dance, luv?”

“Can we maybe get a drink first?” Even the Queen of Denial could use a little alcoholic encouragement.

“Sure, why don’t you get us a seat and I’ll go get the drinks. What do you want?”

“Something fruity and pretty…then I can make myself think it’s not actually alcoholic.”

“Okay, luv…be right back.”

After watching to see where Buffy was seated, William made his way to the bar, “Okay, so my girl wants some sort of, well, girly drink. But don’t put too much alcohol in it, right?”

“Sure…and what’ll you have?”

William wasn’t going to let Buffy get drunk, he’d gotten the impression that she wasn’t someone who could drink a lot, so he’d decided to take it upon himself to protect her. “I’ll have a beer--whatever you have on draft.”

As William waited for the drinks, a young woman quietly sidled up next to him. “Can I buy you a drink, handsome?”

“Think I’ve got it covered,” William said as he took the drinks from the returning bartender, “Thanks, though.”

Not giving the admittedly gorgeous woman a second thought, William took the drinks to Buffy, ignoring all those that tried to grab his attention.

“Here you go, luv. Something nice and fruity. Not rightly sure what it is, but it is girly looking,” William said as he looked at the drink he was holding and made a face at it.

“It’s not like you have to drink it,” she said when she saw the face he made at it. “You have your nice, manly beer, so don’t worry…you’re still the big, bad man,” she giggled.

Deciding that getting Buffy to laugh was worth the slight ribbing that came with it, William decided to draw it out a little, “Sure, say that after everyone saw me carry the drink across the entire club. And you…you!.. picking the table all the way in the corner. Makes a guy think you did it on purpose.”

“And if I did?” But before he could sputter out a response, she continued, “And don’t tell me you didn’t notice all those ‘hotties’ checking you out.”

“ ‘Hotties’, luv?” William asked with a smile.

“Yeah, well, I was trying to sound all ‘manly’. And that’s what guys say, right? ‘Hotties’?”

“Not sure, ‘bout ‘hotties’ luv, think that might be more of an American thing…personally I like…gorgeous…sexy….beautiful….breathtaking….effulgent.” They both knew he wasn’t being rhetorical, Buffy from the way he was looking right at her and the intensity of his look, and he from the fact that he was in love with her, and had ceased to notice other women when she was in the vicinity.

“Well, whatever you want to call them, there’s no way you didn’t notice all of the women checking you out…the same ones now sending death glares my way,” Buffy said as she looked around, ignoring any implications of his former statement.

“I didn’t…honest, pet!” he insisted when he saw her disbelief. “I was making sure not to spill your pretty little drink.”

“Sure, you were,” Buffy said, not really believing him, but deciding she didn’t really care to convince him that other women were checking him out—she didn’t care to make him aware of just how appealing other women found him.

“How’s your drink?” He hoped she wouldn’t notice the reduced amount of alcohol.

“It’s great…I love these drinks ‘cause they’re so fruity and flavorful that I can’t even taste the alcohol. Makes it easier to get drunk…” she trailed off, knowing that she was getting close to rambling.

“I’ll keep you safe..…no letting Buffy get drunk..…check,” William said, easing her tension. She could have a good time tonight…if he wasn’t going to take things seriously tonight, then neither was she.

And she also wasn’t going to tell him that one drink was more than enough to get her well on her way to being drunk…nope, wasn’t going to mention that little tidbit.

“You know William, you don’t have to hang by me all night…not that I would mind,” she added when she saw the beginnings of a hurt expression forming on his face. “What I mean is that if you want to go dance or buy some girl a drink, feel free; I won’t be offended.” ‘Much.’

“Not getting rid of me that easily, kitten. This is our night out…therefore we’re going to spend it together. I’m not even going to let you dance with any other blokes.”

If Angel had acted so demanding and controlling with her, it would have pissed her of endlessly, but with William…with William it was somehow…sexy.

“Well, shall we dance?” Buffy asked trying to sound posh, but ruining it by giggling.

“Lead the way.”

They made their way to the dance floor, William stalling when a slow song replaced the faster one that had been playing. “Um, pet, maybe we should wait?”

“Don’t be silly…we’d be dancing a lot more ‘together’ if it were a fast song anyway…lots more…um...touching…so, this is really no big deal,” she finished awkwardly.

“Right, no big deal…just a dance.” ‘Yeah right, mate…no way you can make this ‘no big deal’…everything to do with Buffy is a huge bloody deal!’


They slowly, awkwardly moved together until they were just a few inches away from each other. Carefully, William put his hand her waist before putting his other on her shoulder. “Don’t be so formal William…we’re not waltzing or anything like that!” Showing no signs of nervousness, Buffy took his hand off her shoulder and put it on the other side of her waist before taking another tiny step closer to him.

Slowly, she put her arms around his neck, watchful not to touch him too much. ‘You’re treading on thin ice here, Buffy,’ she warned herself. ‘You’re still married and even you know you’re starting to push it. Be careful what you’re doing.’

As the song played on, Buffy slowly looked up at William, “This is nice, isn’t it? I haven’t gone dancing in a long time.”

“Yeah, pet,” he replied softly, “It’s real nice.”

“Thank you for coming with me tonight,” Buffy said as the song came to a close.

“Buffy, really it’s no problem…not only is it nice for me to get out and have some fun, but I love spending time with you, kitten. Thank you for coming with me tonight.”

Not responding to his comment—it astounded her that he would be so sweet to her, she didn’t think she deserved it entirely—Buffy instead decided to see what William wanted to do next, “Do you want to keep dancing, William? Or maybe go play some pool or we could just sit.”

“Maybe just one more dance…then we can sit and maybe get something to drink.”

“Sounds,” Buffy started, pausing though when a faster song came on, “Good,” she finished after a few beats of the song. “Not sure I know how to dance like ‘the cool kids’ anymore. Sure you want to be seen dancing with me?”

“New rule for tonight, luv,” William said as he drew her close and started to dance with her, “No more putting yourself down.” Buffy just looked at him astonished, “What? No one’s ever called you on it before?”

“Other than my mother? Nope.”

“Well, always like to be a girl’s first.”

TBC………….Please review.....

and thanks to Panta_rei, baby_goofy1999, LiLi, Cordykitten, DK, Shelly, Carri, Brunettepet, Fibble, Sarah, Tuesday, Caitie, Brat, Allison, Adrienne, Spufette, Bernadette.....you all are absolutely wonderful