Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so, so, so much for the 22 reviews I got for the last chapter, it's was a nice birthday present (my birthday was the 21st)...think I can get that many again?

And this chapter is dedicated to Jojo because it's her birthday today. Happy Birthday sweetie...I hope you like that chapter.
Chapter 27: (She Looks into My Eyes and She Sees) A Man She Used to Recognize

"What do you mean?" William asked her, stunned.

"William, tell me what Sam looks like." Buffy requested.

"Well," he started, "She's absolutely adorable and she looks a lot like you, which only helps her cuteness."

"Ok, but literally, what does Sam look like," Buffy pressed.

"She's about so tall," William indicated on himself, "Uh, she's got a cute little nose, just like yours, there's that scar on her forehead, from when she fell of her bike, and she's got these cute little ears--which I'm supposed to tell you, you should let her get pierced."

"What?" Buffy asked.

"Sam," William explained, "told met the other day that I'm supposed to tell you to let her get her ears pierced."

"Okay, that's something that we can talk about later, but back on topic." Buffy needed to get this out.

"Okay, well I'm not sure what there is left, I covered how tall she is, her scar, her ears, her nose…oh she's missing one of her front teeth…" When William saw that Buffy wanted something else he thought about what was left…. "Oh, her eyes! She's got beautiful blue eyes."

Finally he'd gotten to where she wanted him.

"And do you remember anything from high school biology?" Buffy pressed.

"Probably…anything in particular you're thinking of here, luv, ‘cos I've got to say you're got me right confused."

"Do you remember anything about dominant and recessive traits?"

"Not really, no."

"Well there are dominant and recessive traits. The recessive ones will kind of, take a back seat I guess to the dominant ones, meaning they won't show up against the dominant ones…I'm not really making much sense am I?" When he just smiled at her, she continued, but with a different approach, "Blue eyes are a recessive trait, I think I'm getting this right, which means that if a dominant trait is there to give someone eyes that are some colour other than blue, the blue eyes trait won't be strong enough for them to have blue eyes. For someone to have blue eyes, one of both of their parents has to have blue eyes. Sometimes babies and real little kids will have blue eyes, but they've usually become green or something by the time they’re in school.

Now, William, what colour are my eyes?"

"Green." Spike said not having to look at her eyes after memorising the color and every detail of them.

"Right. And what colour are Angel's eyes?"

"Brown."

"Not blue?"

"Where are you going with this, luv?" William was ninety-nine percent sue he knew where she was going with it, but if he was right, which he wasn't saying he was…but if he was right, this wasn't the sort of thing you jumped to conclusions with.

"I'm saying that Angel isn't Sam's father…He won't be able to get custody of her because he's not her biological father."

"But if it's just because she has blue eyes…"

"I know, she could be the one in ten million kid who has blue eyes without a blue-eyed parent, but that's not the only thing. That was just sort of the thing that let me know it was true," Buffy hoped he would listen to everything she had to say and not judge her before he heard all of it. "Just let me explain all of it before you go thinking I'm some tramp or something." William tried to tell her that he'd never think of her like that, but she stopped him, "Just don't say anything 'til I'm done, alright?"

William just nodded.

"Okay, well I don't really know where to start, this wasn't exactly a conversation I'd planned on having with anyone, at least not anytime so soon, but here goes…When Angel and I got engaged we were still in college, but he was still very much like himself, not exactly or I wouldn't have married him, but…he was still himself. And he had his "sexual" problem even then, sometimes I thought it was a god send, you know I'd found the one college boy that wasn't demanding sex 24/7, but there were also times when I wished we were having more sex…and this is coming out all wrong, making it sound like I just went looking for somebody to fuck…The reason I'm including this is so that when I say that the entire week before our wedding, we never had sex, it won't sound so weird.

“But what happened was around the week of the wedding I started getting really nervous, thinking I couldn't do it…and then I started thinking about all the things getting married would entail…so I went out for a little relaxation, just me, a few days before the wedding. And once I was at the club, I got a little drunk…and you know how Buffy and alcohol are un-mix-y things? Anyway, after I was a little bit drunk I added to the list of things I'd never do, having sex with another man…and when my drunk brain got to thinking about it, I realized that having sex with Angel wasn't that good and I'd never get to have really, really good sex in my entire life--having lost my virginity to Angel and all. So I decided that since I wasn't married yet, cheating wouldn't be as bad.

“So, I decided I was going to sleep with someone that night if the opportunity arose, I wasn't going to go find some random guy just to sleep with him, but if something happened and sleeping with a guy was an option, I was going to take it.

“And, I um…I did. There was this absolutely gorgeous guy there that came over to talk to me, he could have just been hitting on me, but to this day I still think he actually was interested in talking to me. He looked upset and I asked him what was wrong, he just said it was personal, never would tell me, not the whole night. But we talked for hours, just sitting at a table in the corner where it was at least semi-quiet. I know we must have driven the waitress crazy because we didn't really drink that much, just enough that I wouldn't get completely sober and decide it was all a huge mistake. Anyway, once they were closing the club and we'd basically gotten kicked out, he asked me back to his hotel room, apparently he was only in town for a few days, something about visiting family, but needing his own space.

I went with him…not a single part of my brain was objecting, which in Buffy-land is a major accomplishment. So, yeah, we went to his hotel room and spent the night together, I never let him tell me his name and I never told him mine, that would make it all too personal and then I'd really question getting married.

It was…." Buffy seemed unable to find the words for the first time in her whole monologue, "That night, it was perfect, it's made having sex with Angel—the few times that we do—harder because I know what it could be.

“But, the reason I know that's when I got pregnant is because we didn't use any protection, stupid I know, and I'd gotten my period a few days before that and hadn't slept with Angel for a week or so before or after.

“It wasn't until a few months later when I was married and found out I was pregnant that I realized what had happened and by then I couldn't find the guy to tell him, kind of hard when you don't even have name.

“But, every night since then, and especially since I found out I was pregnant, I've been having these dreams…they're not really dreams about that night…more about the life that I could have had if I'd just asked him to stay, exchanged names and numbers…done anything more than what I did.

“They always stay just that, though, dreams, when I wake up I can't remember what his face looks like, not really and it's only gotten worse over time. I think I'd given up ever remembering enough for it to matter.

“Then these last few months I've been gradually remembering more and more of what he looks like when I wake up, but because the person he's looking like is someone I already know, I've been thinking it was wishful thinking, but I've realized in the last few days—maybe the last week, that it's actually him that I'm remembering, not just some wishful thinking.

“So, William, Angel's not Sam's father, it's some guy I slept with two days before my wedding and who I've only, in the last week, come to fully remember---and it's somebody I know." Buffy finished.

"How could you not remember who it was? And if you know him now, wouldn't you recognize him, you said you weren't that drunk…I guess I just don't get it. Sorry, luv."

This was what she'd kind of expected. "Well for starts when I met him then, he looked a lot different that when I met him recently and since he's just starting changing his look, I was thinking it was my mind playing tricks on me with the dreams. But I know now it's not. And secondly, William? Where were you about seven years ago?"

"What?"

"Well you seem to think I should remember everything…and since Sam's a little over six-years-old. Add nine months and you have seven years….so, where were you seven years ago?"

"In London."

"In December of that year?" Buffy asked.

"I don't know I guess so…or maybe I was somewhere else, it's hard to remember."

"Well why don't I tell you what I remember from that December, I was about to get married on Christmas—still think that was all a ploy by Angel so he wouldn't forget our anniversary—but anyway, I was about to get married on Christmas and I'd just dyed my hair back brown, Angel thought it made me look more sophisticated, and I decided on the 23rd to go spend some me time at Aftershock. You ever been there?"

"Don't think so…we've only gone to the Bronze and I didn't go many places before that."

"William," Buffy began carefully, "I'm not talking about now, I'm talking about seven years ago when you visited Giles for Christmas."

"How do you know about that."

"Same way I know you used to be a lot more punk that you are, you had the bleached hair then, too, but you also wore eyeliner, tight black jeans, a safety pinned vest, and those same black boots."

"Did da' show you pictures?"

"No!" 'God he could be so dense, "Am I really that unmemorable?"

"What?"

"Fine, I'm not good with subtlety; I get that…how's this: William, you are Sam's father."

TBC……….














Hope you all enjoy the update...let me know what you think...okay, from the reveiws so far a lot of you are thinking I just stuck this in with no warning, there have been little hints, since about chatper 8 or so...and the explanations are going to come in the next few chapters, don't give up on me...please