Author's Chapter Notes:
new people are reading this fic...do you know how happy that makes me? It really does....

Thank you so much for all of the reviews. Hope you al had happy holidays.

and don't believe me if you want, but I'm still sick (evil sinus infection really, really hurts) so any screw ups are blamed on that...
Chapter 35

William was there at 25 minutes to ten the next morning. He thought about waiting in his car until quarter ‘til, when he’d agreed to be here, not wanting to seem overeager, but then he decided that seeming overeager wasn’t really a problem now.

There were more important things to focus on.

Like getting Buffy to believe him. To be with him.

Yeah, those were definitely more important things.

*(*(*(*I*)*)*)*

Buffy wouldn’t ever admit it, but she was nervous about seeing Angel again. About all four of them being in the same building again—and possibly the same room.

She just hoped William showed. Granted it was only 9:30, so she still had fifteen more minutes, but she was already starting to worry that he wouldn’t show.

“Mommy, when are we going to the doctors’?”

“In just a few minutes,” she almost said that they just had to wait for William to get there, but then she didn’t want to upset her daughter if he didn’t show.

“Okay. Is daddy still going to be at the doctors’?”

“I think so, sweetie.”

“And William too?”

“I hope so,” Buffy didn’t even notice the little bit of difference in her two answers.

Less the five minutes later they heard the doorbell ring and Sam went running towards the door.

“William! Mommy, William’s here!”

“Yeah,” Buffy said softly, “he is.”

Sam didn’t wait for her mother’s permission, just flung the door open as soon as she reached it. “William! Hi, did you know that I’m going to the doctors’ today and that Daddy’s going to be there,” Buffy noticed the lained expression on his face, “And you’re coming too! Isn’t it cool?”

“Very cool niblet. Think I can talk to your mum for a minute?”

“Okay, I’ll go talk to grandma.”

They waited until Sam was out of the room before sitting down in the living room, “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Are you sure you want to do this?”

“What do you mean am I sure?” Buffy asked.

“I mean, if we do this, and it proves that I’m Sam’s father, then there’s no going back from it. At some point Sam will have to find out. I just want to make sure you understand all that this will mean and that you want it to happen.”

“I know what it means…I know someday Sam will have to know. And while I don’t think now is quite the right time, I will tell her someday. And I also know what it will mean for you—or at least I have an idea, and don’t worry I’m not going to take her away from you.

Whatever happens between the two of us, you’re not going to lose Sam. I want you to know that,” Buffy said, leaning forward and looking directly into his eyes.

‘I’m not letting you go, either—you and I are going to get married someday’ was right on the tip of his tongue, but William decided to take it one big event at a time—the paternity test was enough for today. “Then what’s say we get going?”

“Sure, let me just tell my mom and get Sam. And remember she just thinks this is a regular doctor’s appointment, so….We need to be careful with what we say today.”

”I’ll keep that in mind.”

*(*(*(*I*)*)*)*

They made it to the in-hospital clinic several minutes early, but Angel was already there.

“Nice to see you Buffy. William,” he said cordially. And completely ignoring Sam.

Buffy and William both gave him a slight nod and Sam waited several seconds before speaking up, “Hi Daddy.”

“Hello, Samantha,” he said, his tone neutral.

Before the awkward situation could become any more awkward, a nurse came into the hallway. “O’Connor, Liam…..Giles, William….Summers, Samantha,” neither Buffy nor William failed to notice the last name that Angel had given them for Sam. “If you could come with me please.”

After Buffy gave Sam a reassuring smile, the three of them made their way down the hallway to the exam rooms. William went into the second room and Angel and Sam were led to the last room on the right. When the nurse saw his questioning look, he clarified, “We need to have minors accompanied by at least one parent or guardian, so the two of you need to be in a room together, I hope that’s alright.”

Angel knew that he needed to give the anticipated answer, “Of course, it’s fine.”

*(*(*(*I*)*)*)*

About ten minutes later a doctor came in and explained to the both of them that he’d need to draw a little bit of blood and take a cheek swab. Sam wasn’t too happy about the needle, but she got through it remarkably well.

But once everything was accomplished, the two of them were left alone, making Angel very uncomfortable. “So, did you mom tell you why we’re here today.”

“Uh huh,” was all Sam said.

“So she told you that it’s to prove that William’s your dad, and that I’m not? That this was a test to prove that he’s actually your father not me?” Angel mused, “Even I didn’t think she’d stoop that low.”

“But you’re my daddy,” Sam said, starting to cry.

“Oh, shit,” Angel muttered. When he was unable to quiet Sam’s crying, only upsetting her more when he tried patting her on the back as a sign of comfort, he decided he didn’t know what he was doing. “Why don’t we go get your mom? Come on Samantha, let’s go.”
"Mommy!" Sam screamed as she came running out of the exam room, Angel reluctantly following.

When Buffy saw Angel's face, she knew that her daughter's current state had more than a little something to do with her husband. "What did you do?" she gritted out when she got to them, taking Sam up in her arms.

"I sort of misunderstood something she said, I thought that you'd told her why we were here today, so I sort of, well I guess I told her about William and..."

"Are you fucking stupid?" Buffy asked, standing up and getting close enough to Angel so that Sam couldn't hear her. "Why on earth would I tell a six-year-old that. Now?"

"Well I wasn't sure, I just..." Angel trailed off as William came out of his exam room after hearing Sam's crying. William immediately tried to comfort Sam, he couldn't stand seeing her so upset, but she just shrunk away from him, crying even more and holding onto Buffy's leg, burying her face in her mother's pants.

Buffy knew that William was hurt by Sam's reaction, but she couldn't explain everything to him now. "Angel, I don't even care why you did what you did, it was stupid--even for you. But I can't deal with it now. Sam, sweetie," Buffy leaned down to look at Sam, carefully getting Sam to pull back a little so she could look in her eyes, "We're going to go home now, okay sweetheart? And William's going to come with. I'll talk to you about what Daddy said once we get home, okay honey?"

Once Sam nodded hesitantly, Buffy hugged her and picked her up. "Shh, baby, try not to cry, okay? It’ll be okay."

"Uh huh,"

William wished someone would tell him what was going on. He couldn't stand to see Buffy and Sam both so upset. And he really wanted to hit Angel right now.

He didn't know what the ponce had done, but it was obviously something bad. And to his daughter too.

Spike wasn't sure he could forgive Angel for hurting such a little girl, his little girl.

"I don't know what you did," he snarled, looking Angel in the eye, "But when I do, you'd better hope you're nowhere near me."

"Come on William, let's go. Will you still drive us home?" Buffy asked almost as an afterthought.

"Of course I will...are you sure it's a good idea? I mean.." he trialed off looking at Sam.

"Trust me, it's a good idea."

"Okay, sure luv. Let's go," none of them looked at Angel again as they left the clinic.

They were nearly to the car when Buffy finally spoke again, "Can I drive?"

Of course she'd ask to drive.

He was counting on that being the one thing that would keep him distracted on the drive back to Joyce's house. But he couldn't deny her anything, that much was obvious by now. "Sure, luv, you can drive."

Once they were all safely buckled in and on their way, William noticed that Sam had been staring at him for the past few minutes. He wasn't sure if looking at her or saying anything would upset her again--she'd finally quieted down and was just sniffling now--so he decided to just look back at her as best he could.

'What in the fuck had Angel done?' Spike mused, now when he looked at Sam, she looked hurt and turned away from him, looking out the window. It was driving him crazy knowing that somehow he'd upset and hurt her, without even knowing how. He thought of looking to Buffy to see if she'd give him any indication of what was going on, but she'd been wholeheartedly focused on driving since they began the trip home.

'Guess I'll just have to work on that whole 'patience is a virtue' thing."


TBC…..







aren't I just the tiniest bit evil?

and reviews are like chicken soup. feed me?

and y'all want to send out the update emails and stuff for me? I really don't feel well :(

oooooh, new story coming soon-ish too..if I can get off my butt and write it. shutting up now.