Author's Chapter Notes:
oh, an archive told me they wouldn't post LC there so any nice reviews will be extra appreciated
A/N: Sorry for not updating last week. There's been a great deal of...stuff going on for me lately. I just couldn't find the time to get to a computer and post last week. I would post this chapter and the next today to make up for it, but I'm on someone else's ocmputer and can't find the next chapter in my email (like I did with this one).

And I knwo I said that I'd be posting a new story and that it keeps moving from Friday to Friday...I would post it this Friday, but I'm going out of town for a funeral (told you there was a lot of stuff). So I won't be able to do that just yet, but I am posting a ficlet in just a minute to make up for this shorter chapter.





Interlude

He'd thought of this the second she explained why she couldn't fall apart. He threw another pebble. "Come on, don't leave me out here looking like a ponce...Come on luv, just-"

"William? God, what are you doing? You scared me to death."

"You going to let me in?" He'd been throwing tiny pebbles at her window--from the tree a foot or so away, knocking would have been smarter, but he wasn't sure he could lean over that far and not fall.

"Can you make it?" Buffy asked skeptically wiping her eyes, she didn't want him to fall and break anything.

"Sure I can make it, long as the window's open," WIlliam took a breath and made it into Buffy's room safely, and relatively quietly.

"And again I ask, what are you doing here?" Buff tried to sniff quietly and discreetly dry her eyes.

"You said you couldn't fall apart 'til Sam was asleep, it's round 8:30 now, so she's all safe and tucked away, so that means..." he looked meaningfully at her.

"I'd have been okay," she mumbled, secretly grateful that he was there.

"Well, then how 'bout we say I'm selfish and wanted to spend more time with you?" he asked with a slight smile.

"That would work...can we watch TV or something? I'm not sure I feel up to much more talking."

They settled against the headboard of her bed, making it through two random syndicated shows before Buffy spoke up, "We can make it through this, right? I mean...it's not too much, too fast is it?"

"It has been a lot, huh? But don't you worry, kitten, we're going to make it through this. Think about it this way, we've already gotten through nearly all of the hard stuff, so now we can get on with the good stuff, yeah?"

"Yeah," she said and they lapsed into silence again. It was close to midnight before she spoke again, "As much as this is helping and as much as I'd love for us to stay just like this all night, I need to get some sleep and I don't think we're ready for you spending the night just yet. But," she continued quickly before he could answer, "Could you stay just for a few more minutes? Until I fall asleep maybe? Having you here makes me feel...safe and I don't know if I'll come apart again if you leave."

"Of course I can do that, pet. You get all settled in there," he turned off the television. "All comfy?" she nodded, "Want me to do anything? Read you a story, sing you a song?" he asked semi-jokingly, but he did want to do whatever he could for her.

"You'd sing to me?"

"Course I would...do you want me to?"

"Yes please," Buffy said shyly.

"Alright, you just settle in and try to go to sleep," William softly sang to her.


They hung a sign up in out town
'if you live it up, you won't
Live it down'
So, she left monte rio, son
Just like a bullet leaves a gun
With charcoal eyes and monroe hips
She went and took that california trip
Well, the moon was gold, her
Hair like wind
She said don't look back just
Come on jim
(chorus)
Oh you got to
Hold on, hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here
You gotta hold on

Well, he gave her a dimestore watch
And a ring made from a spoon
Everyone is looking for someone to blame
But you share my bed, you share my name
Well, go ahead and call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops
She said baby, I still love you
Sometimes there's nothin left to do

Oh you got to
Hold on, hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here, you got to
Just hold on.

Well, God bless your crooked little heart st. louis got the best of me
I miss your broken-china voice
How I wish you were still here with me

Well, you build it up, you wreck it down
You burn your mansion to the ground
When there's nothing left to keep you here, when
You're falling behind in this
Big blue world

Oh you go to
Hold on, hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here
You got to hold on

Down by the riverside motel,
It's 10 below and falling
By a 99 cent store she closed her eyes
And started swaying
But it's so hard to dance that way
When it's cold and there's no music
Well your old hometown is so far away
But, inside your head there's a record
That's playing, a song called

Hold on, hold on
You really got to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here
And just hold on.


When Buffy woke the next morning, William was gone, her window closed save a half an inch. She smiled thinking of all he'd done for her. 'I really need to tell him I love him.'


TBC




A/N Song is "Lullaby" by Tom Waits or "Hold On"
( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059MDT/102-9429754-4953727?v=glance&st=digital-music )


See, I told you it was short. I really am sorry--I honestly can't find the next chapter (I looked for at least a half of an hour straight). I'll definitely get things updated normally next week...and might even find a time to post the new story