Author's Chapter Notes:
the next chapter might be a little late I'm having trouble with the next few chapters (I do have 3 1/2 future chapters done, though)
And thanks to everyone for the reviews (Mariana, lynn, nikicious, BuffyandSpikeForever, Caitie, Brat, Spufette, Mari, aribelle, and Allison.) And the sequel to IIWFYl will be updated on my LJ before it will on this site if anyone's interested *will meniton this again*
Chapter 5:

“He’ll fire you the same day Katie shows up for dinner.” Buffy assured William, “But if it’ll make you feel better, I’ll promise to find out before he actually does, let you know so you can resign, and I’ll write you a letter of recommendation.”

“Fine, I’ll take the job,” William smiled at Buffy, knowing that she was right, Angel wouldn’t find out what he was teaching Sam, not as long as he, William, said that he was teaching her what he was supposed to be.

“Really, you’ll really take the job. You’re not just trying to be funny.” Buffy knew that she should have just left once he said he’d take the job and not give him a chance to change his mind or say otherwise, but she didn’t think she’d be able to take it if she found out later he’d changed his mind.

“Yeah,” he sighed, “I’ll take it. You’re one convincing woman Buffy Summers-O’Connor. I don’t really know why I wouldn’t before,” ‘Liar!’ his mind screamed, ‘You were a tiny bit afraid of getting fired, but mostly you didn’t want to work in that house and have her husband find out you were perving on his wife!’ “I think,” he continued, “that I was just worried, honestly, that I’d get fired and then wouldn’t be able to get a job anywhere else.”

“But since we’ve taken care of that…” Buffy wanted to be sure he said it, that she didn’t put words in his mouth; she wasn’t going to give him anything that would provide him with an out in the future.

“I’m taking the job, gee, Summers for someone who worked so hard to convince me I had to do this, you sure seem to be taking a while to accept it.

“No,” Buffy said, glad that he’d dropped the O’Connor, “not, not accepting it, just wanted to hear you say it again so you can’t take it back later.” When he grinned at her, she continued, “Do you have any questions on all those papers Angel gave you, then, or is everything pretty clear?”

Apparently it was down to business now. “Nope, I think he had it all covered, “he’s paying me way too much, giving way too good of benefits, especially considering I’m not technically going to be doing what he wants.” Somehow William knew he could joke like this with Buffy and that it wouldn’t cause any problems.

“Yeah, well Angel thinks the more money he spends on something the better it is, so just take it, if you tell him it’s too much,” she ignored the way he scoffed at the idea, “He’ll think you’re not good enough and then he will fire you.” Buffy was glad they’d gotten over their fighting and yelling, she liked this much better.

*(*(*(*I*)*)*)*

“Giles,” the little girl started, “Why are William and mommy talking so long?” She didn’t want to sound rude, it was just that they had been talking for a long time and she wanted to make sure that they weren’t fighting, she liked William and didn’t want him and her mom to stop being friends.

“Oh, um,” he stumbled around a bit, “they just had some important things to talk about, maybe you should ask your mother about it instead?” Giles wasn’t used to anyone asking him questions that he didn’t know how to answer, anyone but Buffy that is.

“Okay,” she seemed satisfied with her answer and turned back to watching her mother and William; fascinated by the way they were now laughing and smiling. Her mom and dad never smiled liked that. Well, her mom did, but her dad never did. He only smiled when he was talking to his friends or about work.

And he worked a lot.

But that was okay because it meant she got to spend more time with her mom. And that was fun.

*(*(*(*I*)*)*)*

“So what does Sam know about the school stuff?” William didn’t know if she knew where she’d be starting school or even that she was starting school at all.

“Not much, we’ve told her, okay I’ve told her, that’s she’s going to be starting school soon, but that we weren’t sure where so we weren’t sure when exactly she’d be starting.”

“Do you want to tell her now, since I’m taking the job,” he emphasized, “and everything?”

“Sure,” Buffy smiled. She seemed to be doing that a lot, smiling that is, but she just couldn’t help it, things were finally looking up.

“Alright,” William got up and walked over to the table where his father and Sam were sitting, “You okay?” he asked Sam when he saw that she’d been concentrating very hard on him and Buffy and seemed to have spaced out for a minute.

“Uhm hmm. I was just wondering what you and my mom were talking about.” Buffy looked at her daughter in astonishment, her normally shy daughter was being so upfront that she wasn’t sure, in the midst of her confusion, if it was rude or not.

Deciding she could decide later, “Buffy told her daughter, “We were talking about what you were going to do for school. Remember how we’ve been talking about that for awhile?”

“Yep.” Again with the popping the ‘p’ William noticed.

“How would you feel about doing school at home, you’d have a special place that was just for school work, but it would be in the house,” Buffy asked her daughter hoping she didn’t hate the idea as it was what was going to happen.

“Would you be there?” Sam asked her mother in genuine curiosity, not sure if it really mattered one way or the other.

“Sometimes, but not where you were doing school probably, you’d have a teacher for that and you’d have to act like it was regular school” Buffy knew she wasn’t doing the best job explaining this, but how did you explain the concept of home schooling to a six-year-old, “And pay attention to your teacher…you couldn’t play during school time.”

“I could do that, but would I still get to go on field trips? Meredith told me about field trips.” The little girl explained.

“Yeah, pixie, you’d still get to go on field trips, they’re an important part of school,” William hoped he wasn’t butting in, but since he was going to be teaching the girl after all, he felt he could help answer some of her questions.

Buffy was glad that William had answered that one the way he did, she was hoping that Sam would still get to on field trips, those were some of her favorite times in school—and they were educational to boot. But she’d been worried that with her working with a tutor, field trips weren’t going to happen. Good to know they were.

And she didn’t even feel the least bit weird about a grown man spending the entire day alone (well except for the crowds at whatever museum they went to) with her six-year-old daughter.

“Yay!!” the little girl bounced in her seat, “But who’s going to be teaching me?” She seemed to be just a little disheartened when she thought of that.

“William will be honey.” Buff told her daughter.

Sam smiled a face splitting grin before she got up and hugged her mother. Then she turned to William, “It’ll be so much fun! But do I have to call you Mr. Giles now since you’re going to be my teacher?”

“No, niblet, you can still call me William, but you will have to listen to me while we’re doing school, okay?”

“Uh huh.” Sam couldn’t believe that she was going to be doing school and William was going to be her teacher.

“Well, now that that’s all settled, how ‘bout we go get some ice cream? Thing’s have been a little too tense today, I, for one, need to relax.” Okay, so maybe he should have asked Buffy about this first, but he wasn’t ready to see the two of them leave just yet and asking Buffy would have increased the possibility of just that.

“Can we mommy? Please, please, please!” Well it was obvious what Sam wanted to do, “Pleeeeeeeeaase.”

Like she could really deny her daughter, now. “Sure, sweetie, we can go get some ice cream, but this is something special, we can’t do it every day.”

“You sure she won’t ruin her dinner, luv?” William didn’t know why he was asking, he just thought that every mother was worried about her child ruining their dinner by eating ice cream in the afternoon.

“Oh, she might, but she always eats really well so if she does ruin her dinner tonight, it won’t really be that big of a deal.” ‘God,’ William thought, ‘she’s a great mum, but she’s also got some sense.’

“So we can have ice cream?” Sam looked at her mother with the hopeful face that every little girl has mastered simply to manipulate her mother.

“Yes, sweetie, now stop giving me that look, it’s not why I said yes and I don’t want you thinking you can get me to do stuff just by looking at me like that.”

“Yay! We can get ice cream! Ice cream! Ice cream, ice cream!”

“Come on, munchkin, let’s go.” William led the two females out of the library and to his car,

“I’ll drive us, make it easier, and then we can drop you off back here when we’re done.” Buffy said once they’d reached the parking lot. They all got into Buffy’s car and headed towards Alberto’s Ice Cream Parlour.




TBC.....