Ghosts
Drabble – post Chosen
Disclaimer: I don’t own the characters from the show. Not using them for profit, just for a little entertainment.


I hate when she gets like this: sullen, morose and withdrawn. She’ll sit out on the back porch with slender arms wrapped around a far-too-thin frame and stare out into nothing. Eventually the dense fog of sorrow and regret will lift and she’ll be back to the cheerful, charismatic girl I love. We’ll pretend everything’s fine and ignore these episodes until the next one hits.

I’ve learned to predict when it will happen. The day they formed their first truce, the day he protected her sister by keeping a secret, the night he sang and saved her life, the day he returned with his soul, and the day of he saved the world. I don’t know what brought this one on, though with the ever-growing list of “special” dates, who knows? We laughed and talked and drank until midnight but this morning she woke with that faraway gleam and I knew she was thinking about him.

It’s on days like these that I wish I’d never met her or heard the word slayer. I hate her for loving him despite all the people he murdered, the lives he destroyed and the times he hurt her. She claims that she did more to hurt him than he ever did to her but I find that hard to believe. I hate her for punishing herself by refusing to let go. His heroics at the end made him a martyr in her eyes and no matter how often I remind her of just how evil he was, nothing can knock him off that pedestal.

I hate him for inspiring so much devotion. It’s been seven years and she’s still in mourning. Even in death he holds so much of her heart that there’s no room for anyone else. I hate him for tearing her apart with a simple “no you don’t, but thanks for saying it” and not sticking around to clean up the mess.

More than anything I hate myself for not being strong enough to walk away. There’s no room for the three of us in this relationship. My stubborn heart won’t let me leave and so I’m stuck here with the woman I adore and the ghost of the vampire she loves.