Buffy Summers was the new girl in school. It'd been that way since she was little. You see, Buffy's stepfather, Rupert Giles, worked for the Watcher's Council. Although she wasn't completely sure what it was that he did, Buffy knew Giles worked for the military. But that was it. He had one of those 'If I tell you, I have to kill you' jobs.

As she made her way through the mob of students, Buffy found herself feeling at home already. She'd been at eight schools in the past ten years, so she adjusted quickly, but never got too attached to her schoolmates. Buffy had learned that lesson with Drusilla.

The two girls met while Buffy was attending a private academy in London and became the best of friends. They were inseparable for the five months that Buffy was there. Then Mr. Giles had been reassigned from England to New York. Buffy had been devastated; she moped around for nearly three months before she finally moved on. Now they were in southern California; Sunnydale to be exact.

Studying the slip of paper clutched in her hand, Buffy managed to find her locker: 143-b. But when she tried to open it, the gray locker door wouldn't budge. "Open you stupid." Buffy grumbled as she tugged harder and harder on the door.

"Need some help?" someone asked. Buffy looked up to see a boy of medium build with brown hair and matching eyes. He was wearing slightly baggy blue jeans and a white muscle shirt covered by a green button down shirt.

"Yeah, thanks." Buffy said, flashing the guy a quick smile and stepping aside.

The boy move to the locker and with a quick spin of the dial and a swift kick to the bottom left corner, it popped right open.

"Thanks." Buffy repeated. She threw a couple of books and notebooks into her locker and slammed it again.

"I'm Alexander Harris," the boy said offering Buffy his outstretched hand. "But everyone calls me Xander."

"I'm Buffy.Summers." She said taking his hand and shaking it weakly.

"So you're the army brat that everyone's been talking about?" Xander asked with a chuckle.

"That'd be me." Buffy admitted. She'd been called an army brat for most of her life, so she was pretty much immune to the remark.

"So I hear your dad is in the secret service or something. You're not wired are you?" he teased smiling brightly.

"Step-dad." Buffy corrected, "and he's not in the Secret Service, but he works for the military." She looked down the hall and noticed a fairly large group of people walking towards them; Xander had noticed them too.

"Oh hey," he said wrapping his arm around Buffy's shoulders and tugging her forward, "I want you to meet my friends." Before she could object, the group was upon them, forming a half circle around Buffy and Xander. "Guys," Xander addressed the group, "this is Buffy Summers. This is Willow Rosenberg, Amy Madison, Oz, Riley Finn, Angel O'Connor, Cordelia Chase, and Tara McClay." As he spoke, Xander quickly pointed down the line of people.

'These people seem pretty nice.' Buffy thought as she shook one hand after another.

"Welcome to Sunnydale High." A cheery red head piped in. "I'm Willow, if you need any help in any of your classes don't hesitate to ask."

"Will's is our resident brain." Xander explained. "Highest GPA in the class this one."

"Only to be followed by Oz of course." Willow added, blushing when the quiet brunette looked at her.

'She's got a thing for him.' Buffy thought.

"Hello." Angel said reaching out his hand. He took Buffy's hand in his own and kissed the top of it gently.

"Don't let him seduce you." A new voice whispered into her ear.

Buffy spun around quickly too see definitely one of the hottest guys she had ever seen standing in front of her. His hair was bleached so blonde that it was almost white and his eyes offered the perfect contrast, being a deep navy. He wore a clingy black T-shirt that showed off his great abs, tight black jeans, and black boots.

"What are you doing here?" Angel sneered. He gazed at the boy through sharp eyes.

"Not glad to see me?" the boy asked stepping up beside Buffy. For some reason, she couldn't take her eyes off him.

"Spike!" Willow giggled loudly, hugging the boy quickly. "What are you doing back?"

"I was only suspended for two weeks Red." Spike explained. "I figure I should have another month or two before I get kicked out again."

"Spike?" Buffy asked with a small grin.

"Yeah." He answered eyebrows raised. "Got a problem with that Goldilocks?" Spike grabbed a piece of Buffy's hair and tossed it back. She swatted his hand away quickly. "Oh feisty one here."

"Buffy this is Spike." Xander introduced the two. "Spike's been suspended six times since freshman year. He's going for the new record."

"Now there's something to shoot for." Buffy mumbled, earning a few laughs from the group gathered around her.

"And who might you be?" Spike asked. He let his eyes wander down her body, examining every curve. She was beautiful, long blonde hair flowing down past her shoulders; a skimpy blue tank top that showed just the slightest sliver of her stomach, barely hiding the navel ring underneath, and the tightest pair of jeans Spike had ever seen a girl wear. 'Cor, how can she breathe in those things?' he thought.

"I'm Buffy." Buffy repeated herself for the third time.

"She's the new army brat." Cordelia added. Buffy looked at Cordy with a look that could kill. "What? You are."

"Oh, so you're the chit that everyone's been talking about." Spike smiled. "Gotta say, I imagined you as more of a tomboy."

Buffy huffed stubbornly. "So just because my step-dad works for the military, I'm supposed to be a complete camouflage bum? I don't think so." The warning bell rang then interrupting the all out brawl that was about to start between Buffy and Spike. She may look like a dainty little princess, but she could hold her own, not only in a verbal battle, but also in a full out street fight. Since she was little, Giles had taught her some self-defense. She really wasn't into it when she was younger, but the older Buffy got, and the more she realized how big of jerks guys could be, the more she trained. It had worked into a regular schedule with her step- dad.

"Where are you headed to?" Tara asked Buffy. It was clear the girl didn't like conflict, so she pretty much tried to avoid it whenever possible.

"Um."Buffy glanced down at her schedule, "Chemistry. Sounds like fun."

"It's actually not that bad." Cordy said taking Buffy's arm in hers and leading her down the hall away from the group. "The teacher is incredibly fine and if you show a little leg, you never have to do a single assignment." Cordelia continued to tell Buffy all the whims and so forth of Sunnydale High, the group stood behind and watched.

"Oh yeah," Riley muttered, "with Cordelia teaching her, she'll be the premiere slut of Sunny-D High in no time."

"I don't know." Angel said looking past everyone and staring directly at Buffy. "She's cute, she could be very girlfriend worthy."

"In your dreams Peaches." Spike laughed taking a few steps in the same direction that Buffy and Cordelia had just left.

"Where are you going?" Xander asked.

"Figured I'd take in a class or two. Believe I've got Chemistry next." Spike took off down the hall humming a jaunty tune as he went. 'Never been so happy to go to a class before.'

"And the funny thing is," Willow said with a giggle, "he hasn't taken chemistry since his sophomore year."

"That's two years ago." Tara added quickly staring off down the hall with a wide grin.

"Yep," Xander sighed as he, Willow, and Riley went to their next class together, "he's got it bad."