Chapter Two ~ A Girl Like You

“Never met a girl like you before.
You give me just a taste so I want more.
Now my hands are bleeding and my knees are raw.
‘Cause now you got me crawling, crawling on the floor.
And I’ve never known a girl like you before.”

~ Edwyn Collins




You could have knocked him over with one of his own feathers at that moment.

*A vampire?! The brightest heart light I’ve seen in a hundred years is a vampire?*

Eros began to laugh. Of course – it would have to be someone (something?) unusual to give off that kind of radiance. Zeus works in mysterious ways indeed. He was still chuckling when he drew closer to look the “boy” over. (For what was 120 years compared to 2 plus millennia?) He winged his way round the elderly elm, eyeing Spike critically. Hmmm, comely enough lad. Seemed strong and capable. And this wouldn’t be the first vampire to be blessed by Love. There were few historically, but still there was precedent. It might be a challenge, but wasn’t he just itching for one? Something, anything to inspire him these days really.

Eros rubbed his hands together with relish, oh, how he was going to enjoy this! The god’s beautiful face was alive with excitement. His sea-green eyes sparkled and his golden hair and ivory skin seemed to glow from within. He felt the eternal power that was Love itself surge through him. He almost wept with the joy of it – it had been so terribly long. He was fulfilling his purpose in the Universe again, the protection and creation of Love. He was doing what he had been formed to do, nothing could be more satisfying.
He hadn’t felt this alive in centuries.

He set himself to the task at hand with relish. First things first; discover the object of desire…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Buffy strolled home casually, enjoying the crisp evening air under the radiance of a full moon. Everything was lit in its creamy glow. It was rare for her to relax at all lately – with Mom being sick and Glory on their asses, getting closer every day. But just now, she was gonna enjoy it. She’d just left Riley’s after a very satisfying night of movies and cuddles. It left her with a warm comfy feeling in her belly. It was so nice to have something normal for a change. Movies and cuddles? Popcorn and kisses? For the Slayer? Why that was just plain crazy talk. Except it wasn’t. Riley had become her rock in a whole sea of crazy.

In a life where it was taken for granted that she would end the night with some things blood on her hands (not to mention her own) Buffy needed normal. Badly.
She was so tired of feeling like a freak, like an outsider. It dragged her down, made her feel defeated somehow. In spite of her sunny good looks and Fashionable Miss wardrobe, in spite of Homecoming Queen trophies and cheerleader uniforms, she was still inescapably the Slayer. An unasked for, deeply unwanted gift. But that’s Destiny for ya. No “And what would you like Buffy?” Just wham, bam, thank you ma’am and there you were - all Chosen.

Although it did have it’s perks now and then. Like all night stamina with your boyfriend, fun ass-kicky bits and it had brought Dawn into her life. And that was a blessing (Mostly). She smiled as she turned onto Revello. Her little house looked so cheery in the dark. The windows were warm and golden with light seeming to welcome her in. She felt deeply contented as she approached her home. Now to enjoy some quality time with Mom and Dawn before heading out for the aforementioned fun ass-kicky bits. Buffy smiled happily.
This was turning into the nicest evening she’d had in months.

*Uh oh.*

She paused on her walkway, the smile rapidly vanishing from her face.

Dammit. Spoke too soon.

She smelled his cigarette smoke before she saw him.

“What do you want, Spike? ”

She managed to pack her tone full of every ounce of annoyance she possessed. It was intentional. Why was he hanging out here again? Lately he’d been acting like some weird whipped puppy-dog. Following her everywhere. Asking, yes asking, to help, to go out on patrol, to do things for her. He was beginning to get on her very last nerve.

*Shite. She crept up on me. Best act casual.*

He’d been so busy daydreaming; she’d caught him off guard. He quickly pocketed the flask and stubbed out his cigarette.

“ Not on the tree, Spike! What’s the matter with you?!”

He brushed the ashes off the tree trunk hurriedly.

“ See? No harm done.”

“Except for that big burny hole, you mean.”

She was glaring at him, arms crossed with her head tilted to one side. Spike thought of this privately as her “ Holier Than Thou” stance. Her brows drew together in displeasure. It made him want to kiss her just between them and smooth away the knot. (But then again, what didn’t make him want to kiss her these days?) Oh, she was talking again,

*Stop staring and listen, you bloody twonk!*

“ I say again: What. Do. You. Want. Spike. ?”

“ Oh, well…I just wuz wonderin’ if you wanted to go patrol s’all.”

*Excellent, sounding casual. Good job.*

Buffy sighed and managed to add a whole ‘nother layer of put upon.

“ Fine. Wait here. I’ll be back in 5.”

She tromped up the steps to her house, her good mood evaporating like Spike’s cigarette smoke into the cool night air.

Spike was elated. He got to be with her, got to watch her fight, and he got to help. It didn’t get much better than that these days. He leaned back against the tree and lit up another smoke. He loved her best when she was fighting. She was a perfect feral beast, all hunt and kill. It was something a fella could relate to. He never saw her more alive than during patrol. She was on fire with purpose, doing just what she was made for. And she could whine about it all she liked – he knew she loved it. He could smell it on her.

That was another bonus of patrol. Wound up Slayer, putting off clouds of pheromones like perfume. Sweetest, most arousing thing he’d ever smelled. It made him hard as a rock every time, and gave him fuel for his growing Buffy fantasy collection. He had a small hope that one day she’d get so worked up she’d up an’ jump him right in the cemetery.

*Hey, it could happen.*

It’s not like he hadn’t imagined it enough times. In vast detail. (Ahem.) But best not go there just now. Buffy already seemed suspicious. Not to mention displeased. Though what he’d done he couldn’t begin to guess. He was only trying to help the girl after all. Probably just all the pressure she was under, what with her mum sick an’ all. She’d feel better after a good fight. She always did. And he’d get to watch her fight, and feel the heat come off her in waves during the fray. Then smell her sweet scent for a full twenty minutes while he walked her home. Spike sighed happily. Heaven. He leaned back against the tree and smiled with satisfaction. This was going to be the best night he’d had in weeks.