Author's Chapter Notes:
Didja miss me? I'm back :D The bad news is that I lost several chapters in "The Great Server Outage of '05" so it'll take me a bit to catch up again. The good news is that I have now responded to all of your reviews during the down time. Love you all to bits, thanks for hanging in there! New chappie should be up this weekend. *Snuggles to all* Rosie xoxoxox
** No smut this chapter - sorry guys. Just sweet, sweet Spuffness. Enjoy :) **



Chapter Twenty Seven ~ Knock Me a Kiss

“ I like cake, and no mistake. But, Baby, if you insist I’ll cut out cake, just for your sake.
Baby, come on – knock me a kiss. I like pie, I hope to die - just get a load of this.
When you get high, doggone the pie. Baby, come on - knock me a kiss.
When you press your lips to mine, t’was then I understood;
They taste like candy, brandy and wine, peaches, bananas and everything good.
I like jam, and no flim-flam, scratch that off my list. This ain’t no jam, the jam can scram.
Baby, come on – knock me a kiss.”

~ Louis Jordan



Spike staggered back under the assault, arms and mouth suddenly full of warm, sweet Buffy.
No time to think, only react. His body took over and did what came naturally - he kissed her back with everything he had. Months of dreaming, longing and frustration poured out of him and into that kiss. He felt her response building to match his until they were practically eating each other alive.

*So good, so good.*

She knew it was wrong. Wrong time, wrong place, wrong man. Not her man. But she just couldn’t help it, couldn’t stop the runaway train that carried her forward. It was like she was magnetized to his side. Didn’t matter, none of it mattered. He was here, now - he was everything she wanted. Faced with him she could no longer deny that she loved him, needed him, wanted him. All questions, warnings and consequences faded out like background noise until they stood inside a perfect silence.

“ Need you…”

She murmured.

“God, Buffy you have no idea.”

She smiled seductively.

“ Show me.”

He kissed her fiercely, possessively. His need for her a roaring empty ache inside him. The feel of her made him high. No drug he’d ever had compared to the slick sweetness of her mouth or the smoldering silk of her skin. He pulled her tight to him, craving contact. She burned him with her body heat, even through both sets of clothes. What he wouldn’t do to have nothing between them at this moment. His hands mindlessly sought her flesh. He wanted in, he wanted under – whatever it took.

He gasped when he felt her hands seeking him. And when they slid up under the free edge of his shirt he groaned, the skin-to-skin contact was almost too much. He pulled back to look at her, to confirm that she was real. That this was really happening. She smiled at him sweetly and touched his face, as if she knew what he was thinking. “ I’m here.” her eyes seemed to say. He wanted desperately to take her home. The two of them in private, with all the time in the world…

“ Buffy, could we…?”

He caught his breath, afraid of her answer.

“ Let’s go.” she said simply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She took his hand firmly in her own, and his eyebrows rose up to meet his hairline.
Surprise # 599 for the night. Who WAS this girl? And what happened in the last 24 hours to give her such a change of heart toward him? He was stunned, but afraid to question his good fortune overmuch. They walked quietly back to his crypt, comfortably hand in hand. It was such a small, tender gesture – but it made him want to weep all the same. There were so many things he wanted to say right now. His head filled with a thousand questions, but he was terrified to speak lest he break whatever spell was at work here. He settled on silence.

*For the moment.*

Buffy felt high on his presence, the solid reassuring feel of his hand in hers. She hadn’t realized just how deprived she’d felt until tonight. It had only been a matter of a few days since she’d seen him – her Spike. But God, how everything had changed. Funny how everything you thought you knew could turn out to be so wrong. As wrong as wrong could be. And life – it could transform with dizzying speed.

This thing with Spike had been building for awhile. She’d just started to recognize that the night she “left”. Sooner or later she might have come around, realized what was right in front of her. Realized how she really felt, deep down inside… But more likely she would’ve clung stubbornly to Riley and all her stupid ideals. She knew how she could be when she got stuck on something. She decided it was so, and nothing but a giant catastrophe could change her mind. She shook her head, sighing at her own willfulness.

*Hey, it only took sending me to a whole ‘nother Universe to get it this time.*

Everything that happened since she got here had opened her eyes a little more. Each event stripping away the blindness and lies she wrapped herself in. Losing Dawn like that, knowing she might be stuck here and never get her back? It split her heart in two. Pile on having her status as Slayer stripped away, feeling useless and disempowered. She hated that feeling, it made her feel so vulnerable, so naked. And the final blow – actually seeing Faith with Spike. Ugh, it made her sick. Add a dash of overbearing Riley-ness and here she was, wide-awake in dreamland.

You couldn’t blame her for jumping on Spike really. Now that she knew, REALLY knew how she felt - she couldn’t hold it back. And she might never get back to her own world. She could be here forever, never having Dawn back. Never being a Slayer again. She needed the comfort only Spike could give her now. He was the only one she could lay her heart out to, knowing he would listen and not judge. Just like he always had. She shook her head again in disbelief. How had she missed that? All the ways he’d been there for her all this time.

*Duh, Buffy. Just duh!*

She clutched his hand tighter and rested her head on his shoulder as they walked. If she had to be here, at least she had this, had him. He was a find in any world, a treasure. Too bad it took her so long to see that. But all she could do now is make up for lost time. She looked up at him walking silently beside her. He looked overwhelmed, and no wonder. She was pretty whelmed herself. He looked back down at her and smiled gently, wonderingly at her. As if she were an angel newly materialized before his eyes – a miracle. In a way, she supposed she was.

Buffy realized she was going to have to tell him. She didn’t want to start anything they might have off with lies. Not to him. He had a right to know everything that was going on. And a right to make his own decision… She swallowed her fear down forcibly. What if he didn’t want her then? Knowing that she might only be a visitor here, that she might disappear on him. And if other Buffy came back she might not feel the same. God, this was complicated. She knew she’d have to tell Riley soon too. She just couldn’t stand another moment of being smothered by him. Just being around him felt suffocating lately. She dreaded that conversation, knew how hurt he would be.

But what else could she do? She had to be honest, and just deal with the repercussions.
She was stuck here, for who knows how long - maybe even forever. She just had to go with it. Fortunately, she was a flexible girl. Being a Slayer really taught you how to roll with the punches. And Buffy wasn’t about to get her ass kicked here.

Lost in her own thoughts, she was surprised how quickly they arrived at his door. The exact same crypt he was housed at in her world. Funny how so many little things were exactly the same. Like the look in his eyes right now, so eloquently telling her everything that was in his heart. Somehow she’d overlooked that too.

*More like blocked it out, stubborn bitch that I am.*

When he took her in his arms and kissed her she could not think for the life of her why. How had she denied herself this love? This passion? How had she denied herself him? From where she was standing now, it seemed like straight up insanity. She was so safe right now, so loved. There was nowhere else in any Universe she would rather be at this moment.

Spike kissed her gently, tenderly – the way he’d always wanted to. She was a sweet, solid weight in his arms. He felt complete and at ease for the first time ever. That hollow hungry feeling that had taken up residence under his breastbone these many years was suddenly gone. It was so right, so good – there just had to be a catch. Whatever it was, a spell, a hallucination, he was going to make the most of it for as long as he bloody could.

*Make hay while the sun shines an’ all that rot.*

He broke the kiss to pull her inside and up into his arms. He twirled her briefly and then kissed her again soundly. She laughed giddily, making him grin like an idiot. Luckily her own smile was just as goofy. Could it really be she felt the same? His eyes searched hers for an answer. She smiled down at him from her place in his arms and kissed him so tenderly, so sweetly – he thought his heart would turn to dust inside his chest.

That’s when she uttered the four most dreaded words for any man to hear;

“ We have to talk.”

*Uh oh.*

He set her down carefully.

*This can’t be good.*

** I know, I'm so mean - another cliffie. But at least I updated quickly this time. And who delivers the good ol' Spuff huh? More to come soon, Happy Campers :) *snuggles* Rosie xoxoxoxox **