** Didja miss me? I missed you... I deeply apologize for the lack of updates. That stupid RL thing was taking up all my time again. *Kicks real life* But I swear I AM going to finish this & I will be updating again soon. Chapter 38 is already half-way written. Thanks for your patience, everyone :)

Thanks also to the lovely & talented Isabella who beta-ed this for me & suggested the song title & to Brat for her support & in-put all along the way.

I must have a massive group hug now.

*Snuggles* xoxoxox Rosie **




Chapter Thirty Seven ~ Trouble’s Comin’ Like a Train


“Woke up on the wrong side this morning thunder rolling in my brain.
Walked into an empty closet didn't find a thing
Trouble's comin' like a train.
Someone said she met a stranger lucky I don't know his name -
The way I feel I've got a mind to share some of my pain.
Trouble's comin' like a train,
Trouble's comin' I can feel it way down in my bones.
Trouble is I never fail to derail when I'm left alone.
Callin' out my name trouble's comin' like a train.
Played my heart just like a joker lost it to the queen of pain -
Now she's holding all the aces I'm out of the game.
Trouble's comin' like a train…”

~ Mark Collie


Riley was surprisingly calm for a man who had not only been dumped, but also knocked to the ground by his bride-to-be that very evening. He set his pile of books and study guides on his desk, taking care to arrange them neatly before changing his clothes. He knew exactly what to wear; he still had all of his gear. You never knew when you might need it. He suited up for night ops, tucking his face mask into his back pocket for later. He wouldn’t need a weapon for this maneuver – but the infra-red goggles, logbook and voice-activated recorder were a necessity. He tucked a few stakes and a hunting knife into his uniform for safety’s sake. It always paid to be cautious in Sunnydale.

Within ten minutes he was back outside, hunting his quarry.

Fortunately he knew exactly where to find her.

She was his fiancée after all.

Riley crept up the hall towards Buffy and Willow’s room, falling back behind the corner when he saw the door open. He pushed himself silently along the wall and further into the darkness when he heard her enter the corridor. He knew it was Buffy; he’d memorized every little thing about her – right down to the sound of her footsteps.

She seemed in a hurry and preoccupied which worked in his favor. He was fully aware of her capabilities as a Slayer; he would have to be on his guard during this operation. He made a notation on his recorder after she had gone out of sight.

“2100 Hours - Target has left home base, carrying large duffle. Have not established destination.”

He waited for a few seconds before resuming his tail, following her several paces behind. He made note of the large duffle slung over her shoulder and felt a surge of gratitude. It meant she needed the comfort of her own home - that she was hurting too and that gave him a window of opportunity. One he could pry open all the way into a swift reconciliation. It was ridiculous for them to spend any time apart really - they were Soul Mates. Why should they suffer through unnecessary separation?

Under the cover of his facemask he smiled.

*Soon, Buffy. Soon...*

Riley stalked his prey across the quad and out into the night. He wasn’t surprised when she detoured through a cemetery, she probably had some issues to work off and wanted to patrol. He’d cure her of that habit soon enough. That wasn’t the way one’s wife should behave. But she’d be too busy with the children and the house to think about that before long. He smiled dreaming of the life they’d have. It was all going to be perfect.

He was so caught up in his daydreaming that he almost missed her ducking inside a crypt. Now that was curious, was she changing clothes? Was there a demon inside he couldn’t sense from here? He held back for a few minutes, expecting her to reemerge at any moment.

*It wouldn’t do to run into her now would it?*

After five full minutes he decided to risk a peek. What if she were hurt? What if she needed him? The mental image of her pinned underneath a hungry vampire spurred him on. Cautiously he crept toward the mausoleum. Risking a look through one of the windows he was surprised to find a fully furnished living room. There were flowers, candles, some furniture – but no Buffy.

*What the heck?*

He studied the room corner to corner before deciding to risk entry into the building. There was no one in it, demon or human. Riley began to worry. There was dreadful evil in this town; he’d seen unbelievable things here. He had a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach. Something was happening in there – something awful.

He crept through the door to the crypt in full stealth mode, mask down, stake at the ready and listening carefully for any sound that might hint at what was happening. At last he heard voices – Buffy was talking to someone… He let out a quiet sigh of relief - at least she didn’t sound hurt. Wait - was that a man’s voice? Something about it was familiar. Searching the room thoroughly he finally found the hole in the cement floor that served as an entrance to the lower level. He could see flickering light & the ladder leading down but not much else from here.

Riley pondered his options for a few minutes. Should he follow her? She sounded okay, she wasn’t in any danger that he could perceive. It wasn’t right to go eavesdropping… But wasn’t this whole mission about gathering information on Buffy? Finding out everything he could? Maybe this conversation would give him some insight into their problems… He made an executive decision. Securing his stake and various bits of paraphernalia he slowly lowered himself flat to the floor and poked his head into the hole. He was surprised to be peering down on a rather elegant looking bedroom. A large, ornately carved dresser stood against one wall; there were Persian-style carpets on the floor – and several candles and bouquets of flowers added to the romantic atmosphere. Ignoring his own curiosity, he focused on the mission at hand.

*Where is Buffy?*

Riley Finn was in no way prepared for the sight that greeted him. In the middle of the large, king-sized bed was his fiancée - writhing on satin sheets… with Spike. He balked at the scene before him, mind unable to process this new insanity. Spike hovered above a half-naked Buffy, who opened her arms to him invitingly.

Riley felt the color drain from his face when he heard them speak again;

“My girl.” Spike growled possessively. “Mine.”

There was no mistaking the look of happiness on her face, or the love in her voice when she replied, quite simply;

“Yours.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Faith was holed up in a dingy motel on the outskirts of town. It was all she could think to do in her current state of panic. She’d told her sister it was for her own good, Glory was on the loose and out looking for them. She’d bought it and kept quiet for several hours, but now Dawn was starting to ask questions;

Why weren’t the others here?

Shouldn’t they be trying to meet up with them?

Weren’t they in danger too?

It was getting on her already frazzled nerves. For a split second she regretted taking her – maybe she’d be better off alone… But the thought passed in an instant. She loved Dawn so much, like nobody else. She was her only family. And it didn’t matter one damn bit where she came from – they were blood, and they were sisters. And NO ONE was taking her away.

*Let ‘em try.*

She thought grimly. They’d find out quick just how nasty she could be. She’d shove a stake in the first person that tried to lay hands on Dawn. And she knew just how to make it hurt.

*Don’t have to kill ‘em to make ‘em stop.*

A broken kneecap, a shattered hand – ten pounds of pressure applied just so and they were outta the game. That suited her fine. She’d been making nice for far too long now. Played the good girl – and where'd that get her?

*Fuckin’ nowhere.*

She shoulda known. They all turned on her the instant Buffy came back into play. Giles keeping secrets, the gang plotting to take Dawn and give her to Buffy. And she’d lost Spike.

*More like he got taken.*

That nasty, manipulating little bitch got her hands on him – who knows when. For all she knew Buffy’d been after him from the start. They coulda been together for months now. The thought turned her stomach. Did he lie to her from the first night? No he couldn’t have, not Spike… He wasn’t like that. She’d looked into his eyes too many times…

But ugly doubt crept in. She knew what Buffy was - what she was capable of. God, she was so sick of that bitch. Always playing it up nice, actin’ all perfect. Faith grabbed a smoke from the pack of Luckys in her jacket pocket & lit up with an unsteady hand. She’d had enough of her little superhero routine. Who did she think she was anyway - Wonder Woman? Didn’t Buffy feel the darkness inside her too? The black place where the power came from beat inside Faith like a drum, it called to her. It told her she was different – special. Something beyond superheroes. The normal rules didn’t apply here – when was Buffy gonna GET that?

*Fucking never.*

The worst thing was how hypocritical she was. She acted like a fuckin’ angel but there she was stealing Spike away. Cheating on her fucking fiancé and lying to her friends to do it. It made Faith sick to think that Spike could buy that fake ass act of hers. That he would even WANT that.

*Why do they always want that??!!*

Was she so tainted, so fucked up that Buffy seemed better by comparison? Her guts twisted inside her and she swiped angrily at the tear escaping from the corner of her eye. Buffy had gotten to him, had turned him against her before she had a chance to show him how it good it could be. Buffy took him away, just like she was trying to take Dawn...

*NOT gonna happen.*

No matter what it took - if she had to kill some folks, so be it. And if she had to kill Buffy - well, that was just a bonus.

Family was worth fighting for.





** Ooowee, is it gettin' dark around here or what? I sense some good ass kickings on the wind... Stay tuned, True Believers. More to come very soon (promise!) *Big Loves* Rosie **