Author's Chapter Notes:
Just a quick song fic to prove that I'm still alive. Once my computer gets fixed, and I can get to my files, I'll continue with my other story-promise.
She said, "I've gotta be honest
You're wasting your time if you're fishing round here"
And I said, "You must be mistaken
Cause I'm not fooling, this feeling is real"
She said, she said, "You gotta be crazy
What do you take me for, some kind of easy mark?"
"No, you've got wits, you've got looks
You've got passion, but I swear that you've got me all wrong"


"Pet, you have to believe me. This isn't some kind of twisted game," I plead as I grab her arm, stopping her from storming off.

"This is wrong," she states firmly as she jerks her arm away from me.

All wrong
All wrong
But you got me


"It may be wrong, but does that really matter?" I grab both of her arms this time, forcing her to look in my eyes, to see me. "I'm yours, Slayer. I'd do anything for you."

Her green eyes search my blue ones, begging to see the truth behind my words. I saw it then. She's just a girl. A scared, lonely girl, wanting nothing but love and safety. I would do anything for this girl.

I'll be true, I'll be useful
I'll be cavalier, I'll be yours, my dear
And I'll belong to you
If you'll just let me through


"I'm here, pet. I'm not going anywhere." I press my forehead to hers, closing my eyes. Being so close to her and not having her was killing me.

Pulling away from me, she says, "I could love you. I could be with you, and it might be great."

I smile and reach for her, but again she pulls away. "But it's not that simple. I have to be the Slayer now. I have to be there for the world and Dawn and my mom right now."

"It is easy, pet, so easy."

This is easy, as lovers go
So don't complicate it by hesitating
And this is wonderful, as loving goes
This is tailor-made, what's the sense in waiting


"I love you," I whisper reverently-like a prayer. "I don't know what else to give."

She turns back to face me again. I can't look her in the eyes anymore, so I look at my shoes. I feel her hand on my chin, forcing me to look at her.

"Thank you," she says right before her lips softly meet mine.

She tenderly explores my mouth, her hands wrapping around my neck to meet the soft curls found there. My hands move to her waist, pulling her body flush against mine, but, before the kiss could intensify, she pulls away. Again. Bloody Hell.

And I said, "I've gotta be honest
I've been waiting for you all my life
For so long I thought I was asylum-bound
But just seeing you makes me think twice
And being with you here makes me sane
I fear I'll go crazy if you leave my side
You've got wits, you've got looks
You've got passion
But are you brave enough to leave with me tonight"


"I don't know how to be brave." She sits on a tombstone before continuing, "I can fight. I can fight anything that comes my way, but this real life stuff? I can't handle that."

I move to sit next to her, my eyes begging her to continue.

Tonight
Tonight
But you've got me


"I'm listening, luv," I say in hopes that she would keep talking. To me.

"I don't want to be in love, Spike," she says, finally looking at me. "I don't want to have to kill you or to watch you die. If," she swallows in a desperate attempt to control her emotions, "if I love you, I could get hurt. I could lose you."

"You will never lose me," I insist, grabbing her hands that were fidgetting in her lap. "The what ifs don't matter. We will get through it together. So what do you say?"

This is easy, as lovers go
So don't complicate it by hesitating
And this is wonderful, as loving goes
This is tailor-made, what's the sense in waiting


"Are you willing to take a risk on me, on us, luv?" I ask, ducking my head shyly, hoping I don't sound like a git.

She smiles softly. "I think so," she murmurs before she leans in to kiss me and the world stops.

-----------
What do you think???