Watch You Smile While You Are Sleeping

-Just a lil Spike POV fic, taking place in the seventh season, i rarely do Spike-based fics so here I go!-


Sleep hadn’t been coming easily to Spike, there was entirely too much going on for him to even try to sleep. Constantly hearing lots of giggling and squeaky female voices didn’t really help either.

Wandering upstairs into the kitchen from his basement bedroom, Spike noticed that for the eighth night in a row the mini-slayers had left a mess for the tired Buffy. Feeling somewhat useless lately, Spike decided to be helpful for a half of a second and clean up the stack of cereal bowls and put away the many assorted brands of cereal.

After completing that task, he walked into the living room, only to find two of the girls still awake and Xander snoring away on the couch, he thought for sure Buffy would still be awake, she almost always was on Friday nights. Walking past the little chatterboxes, he put a finger to his lips, signaling them to be a little quieter.

He walked up to the second floor, wondering if Buffy was awake still, if she was he’d probably sit and talk to her for a while, they were making a habit of that lately. Seeing that her door was open a crack, he peered in and saw that it was dark, only illuminated by a small night light she had kept by her bed, for what reason he did not know.

Sleeping soundly tucked under her floral bed covers, the slayer looked peaceful for once. Spike walked over and sat on a chair by her bed, one he frequently occupied ever since Buffy had started confiding in him again. Gorgeous. He thought, as he gazed at her. Never in his entire life or un-life had he seen a creature as amazing as she.

Buffy stirred slightly, pulling the covers tighter around herself. Spike watched her intently, something he really had never done before while she slept. He was finally seeing her, seeing her as a human being and not as the invincible slayer. Hell it was probably the soul doing this to him, causing him to see things with a new perspective.

Spike smiled at her glamour. To his surprised, she smiled back. Of course she probably wasn’t smiling back to him being that she was sound asleep. But she smiled, not a very defined smile, but a small, innocent smile that highlighted her face just enough to define a happy dream. He was glad she was happy, even if it were only in her dreams.

Before Spike even knew it, he had fallen asleep sitting there, watching over her. At around 5 AM, he suddenly awoke and glanced at the digital alarm clock. “Bloody hell..” He said, in barely a whisper.

“What is it?” Her voice startled him. Dammit. He thought. He’d woken her up from her placid sleep and had freaked her out by being in her room at that hour. “You jumped up out of your sleep.” Buffy almost sounded...concerned.

He looked over at her. “Oh... it’s nothing, I’m fine. How long have you been awake, Luv?” He stretched his arms, the chair wasn’t very good for sleeping in.

She was still lying down, but he could tell that she shrugged. “I’m not sure. I’ve just been watching you for a while.” She paused then posed a question. “Why are you up in my room anyways?”

“I uh...” She could always tell when he was nervous or embarrassed. Took him a while to get out a sentence. “..you know, just checking on you a bit. Then I must have fallen asleep.” He tried to sound as casual as un-humanly possible, it unfortunately didn’t work.

Buffy held back a smile. She felt something then at that moment, something she had never felt for Spike before--- unconditional love. It felt like years before the silence was finally broken, but in reality, it was only about six seconds. “Thank you.” Buffy said, speaking from her heart.

Spike was in a bit of a astounded state and before saying anything, he sat on the edge of her bed, with his head turned slightly, just enough to see her from the corner of his eye. “You smile when you sleep..”

Buffy looked at him as his eyes shifted to another location in the dark room. Without much thought, Buffy scooted over behind him and put her arms around him from behind. “So do you.” She said softly.

Spike now upgraded his astounded state to astonished one. He had to be dreaming, there is no possible way Buffy would willingly hug him, it just wasn’t possible? Was it? He placed his hands on top of hers and they sat that way for about two minutes, completely caught up in each other’s presence.

“Spike...hold me? Until I fall asleep?” She so suddenly asked him. Declining her offer would declare him the most stupid man on the face of the planet and there was no way he was letting that happen.

“Sure, Luv.” He stood out of her embrace and she went back to her place on the left side of her bed. Spike slowly climbed in next to her, being sure to not seem more happy than he was to have been asked such a great favor from the girl of his dreams.

Spike put his arm around Buffy and she cuddled up next to him. He then noticed how much he missed that. Having her so close to him; only this time, she didn’t feel so far away. All he wanted, was to stay lost in that moment...forever.


-Disclaimer- All characters unfortunately belong to Joss Whedon and not me.