Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, I've combined the first two chapters so it will meet the 1000 word rule. Sorry about that! Hope you like it.
Buffy was walking down the hallway of Sunnydale high. She couldn’t get over the fact that she was a senior. Seemed like only yesterday she was a newbie in town, going to Sunnydale Middle. It was there she met the best friend she’d ever had. She’d first ran into Willow and Xander. They were in her History class, and history was Buffy’s worst subject. She’d taken the seat behind the duo, and had pretty much kept to herself, when Xander had said hi to her. She’d first been very wary of him. He seemed kind of... hyper to her. That was the only way she could describe him. She’d politely said hi back to him, but had remained silent for the rest of the class. When class was over, Willow had turned around to say hi as well.

Lunch had been a completely different story. She didn’t have any clue as to where to sit, when she spotted Willow. She had taken a deep breath and walked over to her table. Once there she saw Xander, and a blonde boy she didn’t know. It was the blonde boy who had noticed her first.

“ Um, can we help you with something?”

Buffy had been ready to bolt right then and there, but Xander and Willow had turned towards her, and smiled. Xander had stood up to greet her.

“ Well, hi! Welcome to Sunnydale, don’t mind Spike here, he doesn’t mean anything by it.” That had been where it started. Buffy had looked over at the blonde boy, like she wanted to toss her lunch on him.

“ Hi, I’m Buffy Summers.”

She had to sit in the only available seat left, which was by Spike. It was obvious how nervous she was, because Spike grinned at her.

“ It’s okay ducks, I’m not going to hurt you. I thought you were from Cordy’s crowd.” Buffy smiled hesitantly at him.

“ Is your real name Spike?”

Spike had just grinned at her. She’d fallen in love with that smile of his. So, that was the beginning of her great friendships. The four of them had become practically inseparable. Buffy’s mom hadn’t liked the idea of her hanging out with the two boys at first, but then she’d met them. That was usually everyone’s first though, until they saw the interaction between them.


***********************************************************************

Spike was in a sour mood. He’d been wanting to ask Buffy a specific question all week, and it looked like someone had beat him to it. Granted, he should have asked Buffy a long time ago, instead of waiting for the last minute, but he’d been nervous. He’d liked the little chit since he’d first saw her standing behind Willow in the lunch room. Why he’d never said anything to her, was beyond him. He was going to ask her to the Homecoming dance, but it looked like some Nancy boy had asked her first. He walked over to where she was standing.

“ Hey Buffy, how’s it going?” She turned and smiled at him.

“ Hey! Where have you been? You missed first period!” She giggled as she chastised him. He grinned back

“ I was in the guidance counselor’s office. Going over my senior project. So, I hear that you have a date to the homecoming dance.”

He didn’t think it possible, but her grin got even wider.

“ Yes! Angel Cunningham asked me! I was so shocked! I was soo not expecting that one. Who are you taking?”

Spike just grunted.

“ I don’t know. I haven’t really thought about it. Wouldn’t have even known you had a date, but I overheard Angel and his cronies talking about it.”

Buffy glared at him.

“ I don’t understand why you don’t like him. He’s never been anything but nice to any of us.”

Before Spike could make a comment, Willow and Xander ran up to them. Willow was jumping up and down, and screaming something.

“ Buffy! Oz just asked me to the dance! I almost said no, because I was so freaked! HE likes me Buffy!!!”

Buffy grinned at her.

“ That’s great wil!” She looked over at Xander.

“ Who is the lucky lady for you, Xan?” Xander just blushed.

“ I don’t really have anyone picked out yet. I thought maybe I’d ask Amy. She doesn’t have a date, or maybe Tara. I’m more leaning towards Tara. Hey, maybe Spike can take the one I don’t.”

Spike glared over at Xander.

“ That’s alright, mate, I’m thinking of asking Drusilla or Darla.”

Buffy jerked her head towards him. She hated those girls. They were always making fun of Willow, and Buffy had told them off a couple of times for it.

“ You’d really go with one of those skanks?” Spike just raised his eyebrows.

The bell rang then and they all had to go to class.

********************************************************************************


Buffy didn’t get why Spike was so upset. He was taking Darla for crying out loud, or worse, Drusilla! Why was it that when you finally get over someone and move on, they finally get a brain and want you back? Relationships still baffled Buffy, and probably always would. It was then that she realized that Tara was nudging her elbow. Buffy looked around, and noticed the teacher staring at her. “ So, good of you to tune in, Ms. Summers. Dare I ask if you know what we were talking about?” Mortified, Buffy sank lower in her chair, and shook her head . The teacher nodded his head, and asked the next student. When class was over, Tara attacked her.

“ Whoa Buffy, You were really in your own little world. Interesting daydream that you’d like to share?” Buffy grinned.

“ Oh, not on your life Mclay! That one will stay with me to the grave.” As they were giggling, they didn’t notice when someone came up behind them.

“ What will stay with you til the grave?” The girls jerked around to find Angel Cunningham standing behind them.

“ Oh nothing, just girly stuff. So, how are you?” He smiled at her, and it made her swoon.

“ I’m doing great now. I wanted to know if I could sit with you at lunch. That is, if you’re friends don’t care.” Buffy thought she was going to fall over! She quickly glanced at Tara who was smiling like a fool.

“ Of course they wouldn’t mind, and I’d like that a lot.” He smiled at her. His face lost his smile when he looked down the hallway at who was coming towards them.

Buffy turning to see what he was looking at saw Xander, Spike, and Willow coming towards them. Angel looked back down at Buffy and smiled.

“ Well, I’ll see you at lunch, okay?” Buffy nodded her agreement, and turned to welcome her friends. They all had a free period, and they usually went to the library to hang out. Spike stopped in front of Buffy grinning.

“ What, your lil Nancy boy didn’t want to stick around?” Buffy glowered at him at that.

“ Don’t call him that, and no he couldn’t stay. He actually has a class this period.” With that said she huffily turned around and started walking towards the library leaving the others to follow her.


*** *** ** *** *** *** ***

Angel really didn’t like Spike. He didn’t know why, but the guy just grated on him. He’d have to tolerate him for awhile, because he was Buffy’s friend, and he liked Buffy. It was also clear to Angel that Spike had a thing for Buffy. That’s one of the reasons he’d taken so long in asking Buffy out. He knew that Spike liked her, and he wasn’t sure if she returned the feelings. It wasn’t til he’d seen her at the Bronze that he’d decided to ask her out. She’d looked magnificent that night. She’d been flirting with practically every guy on the dance floor, so he’d made his move. Worked out for the best it would seem. His friends thought he was just going to use Buffy, but he wanted more than that. He actually wanted to have a lasting relationship with her. Just then his football buddy, Riley came over.

“ Hey guy, guess what I heard? I’m just wondering if it’s true.” Angel looked wearily at Riley. He was one of those friends that you had to watch out for. It was like if he could, Riley would take everything away from him.

“ What would that be, pray tell?” Riley grinned from ear to ear.

“ I heard that you finally asked out that Summers chick, and I’m not talking about the young one. All I have to say is it’s taken you long enough.” Angel sighed.

“ I just didn’t know if she was hung up on that Spike guy. She’s apparently really good friends with him.” Riley shook his head.

“ I so don’t get it. She’s really rich, and not to mention hot, but she hangs out with those dorks! I mean, Willow and Xander? The real stumper is that she is friends with them, but she’s also friends with people like us. She hangs out with Tara and Amy. I think Cordelia even likes her. It’s just weird that she’s not a loser by association, which is how it normally works.”

Angel couldn’t help but agree with him. Normally if someone was friends with that group whether they’re rich or not, they’re losers too, but that just wasn’t the case with the Summers girls. Okay, Dawn wasn’t that popular, but there was a slight chance in that changing. Angel’s little brother, Connor, was the same age as Dawn and had the hots for her. He could possibly elevate her status in the school.

“ I don’t know, Ri, but it is kind of mind boggling. Well, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go to class.” As he was walking away he didn’t see the look Riley was throwing him.

******************************************************************************************************

Buffy, Spike, Willow, Tara, and Xander were in the deserted library, as they always were. Buffy was gushing over the dress she was planning on buying with the girls, while Xander looked like he was nodding off. Spike, though, was stewing. He’d seen the look Angel had given him. Like warning him away from Buffy. He was the one that should be doing the warning, dammit!

Buffy noticing his frown, tapped his shoulder. He looked over at her, not changing his facial expression.

“ You’re all bad moody, what’s up?” He grinned. He couldn’t help it when it came to her.

“ It’s nothing, pet, don’t worry about it. Just thinking about who to ask to this blasted dance.” It was Tara who spoke up then.

“ I know what you mean, I don’t know who I’m going with either.” Xander perked up then

“ Actually Tara, I was wondering if you’d go with me. It’d be fun, don’t you think?” Tara’s eyes turned all wide, like it was the last thing she was expecting.

“ You want to go to the homecoming dance with me?” Xander smiled sheepishly at her.

“ Well yea...do you wanna go?” Tara smiled shyly back at him, and nodded.

Spike just shook his head, and was thinking how it figured that even the geek could get a date.