Author's Chapter Notes:
Rebetad by spikeslovebite
Never be the same again: Harsh Light of Day

Parker : I do. But I'm starting to feel like you felt what? Some kind of commitment? Are you sure that's what you want right now?

Buffy : I just thought...

Parker : I'm sorry if you missed something. I thought things were pretty clear.

Parker mentally shook his head at the naive little freshman. She just didn't seem to get it. He sincerely hoped she would soon though. She hadn't even been that skilled in bed. She never even offered to give him a blowjob. That had disappointed him, as that was his favorite part of sex. He had better things to do and he needed to do them soon! Parker covertly glanced at his watch. He was supposed to be meeting another freshman in just a few minutes. Now if this one would just go away and leave him alone!

Buffy wavered between being sad and being mad. Who the hell did Parker think he was? God's gift to women? Then a niggling little voice in the back of her head whispered, what if it was you? What if you just weren't good enough? Buffy's eyes filled with tears.

In a few seconds, her head popped up as her vamp-detecting senses went haywire. In spite of her misery, she became aware of a familiar tingling sensation. Buffy glanced around, spotting Spike closing in on her and Parker. Hmmm, Spike must have found the Gem of Amara. An evil plan popped into Buffy's head. She would use Spike for revenge. She hoped he would go for it; after all he did try to help her by telling her mom they were in a band together during the Acathla incident. She whirled around to face Spike with a smirk on her face. Boy howdy, he was hot in the sunlight, no pun intended. Bad Buffy, no thinking that about him. Buffy mentally slapped herself, even as she planned out what she was going to do and say.

Spike almost stopped in his tracks. He heard what the stupid pillock had said to the Slayer. For some reason it pissed him off, wasn't sure why exactly, but it felt a lot like how he had when Angelus had taken Dru from him while he was in wheelchair. And that didn't please him, not one little bit. Buffy was a magnificent woman, even if she was his enemy. She didn't deserve to be shot down any more than that poncy poet he used to be had. Spike suddenly realized how beautiful the Slayer looked in the sunlight. Sure, she was gorgeous at night in the darkness, but in the sun? She was... efflugent. Damn, there's that word, again. Truthfully though, next to Buffy, Cicely was an old hag.

Spike saw a glimpse of a smirk on the Slayer's face before her expression changed to...terror. What the heck did she have on her mind? He knew she wasn't scared of him. She must have a plan! A plan to get back at this idiot. Spike hoped he was part of it, because he wanted in on the fun. Buffy moved closer to look up at him with pleading eyes as she caught up one of his hands with both of hers. Spike leaned in just a little to sniff her. No, there was no scent of fear on her, just the smell of vanilla and Slayer, with a hint of arousal for the dance they were about to begin.

Parker noticed that the blonde, Buffy, had moved slightly away from him to a man who looked vaguely familiar. Oh good, she isn't going to be bugging me anymore, he thought to himself. At least until she opened her mouth and began speaking.

"Please don't hurt him, Spike, he doesn't mean anything to me. Please. I just got so jealous when I saw you at the party with that ho, Harmony. I'm so sorry." Buffy fervently hoped that this worked. When Spike began to speak, she was pleasantly surprised. Buffy was pleased that Spike fell into the plan so fast.

"Are you sure you're sorry, Buffy? I won't have you runnin' off with another git, again," growled Spike, taking Buffy's face in his hands to lift her eyes to his. This boy had played with the Slayer, now she was playing him back. Git wouldn't know what hit him. Spike was thrilled to be along for the ride. Parker recognized the other man as soon as he began speaking. He had been at the frat party last night with a nasal-sounding blonde chick who must be the aforementioned Harmony.

"Yes, yes, I'm sorry. Please don't hurt him like the last one I was with."

"W-w-what did he do with the last one?" Parker stammered. Spike tore his eyes away from Buffy to glare at Parker, growling low in his throat. Parker took a step backwards at the menacing sound.

"Spike hit him over the head with a fireplace poker," replied Buffy, stepping closer to Spike to press herself against him. She was telling the truth, but totally taking it out of context.

"P-p-oker? Didn't it kill him?" Parker just couldn't stop stammering. Here he had thought the little freshman Buffy would be an easy notch on his bedpost. He should have known better when that bleached Brit showed up at the frat party. Sure they had argued, but you could tell there was something between them.

"Nah, Peaches always had an iron skull."

"Maybe you should just bite this one a few times, put the fear of Spike in him," murmured Buffy, rubbing her face against Spike's shoulder. Spike's demon pushed forth at those words. She was really getting into this. Who knew Spike had such a great body and would smell so darned intoxicating? When he looked down at her with his yellow-demon eyes, she peered up at him through her lashes. "I am still your girl, right?"

When Spike heard these words, all plans on killing the Slayer went out the window. She was his now. And nothing was going to stand in his way of finally getting the girl.

"Damn right you're still my girl. About bloody time you learned it, too," Spike growled. He looked at Parker, causing the boy to eep. And while that sound was okay coming from a girl -- like say, Willow -- it sounded stupid coming from a full grown man like Parker. "I ever see you near my girl, again, you tosser, there'll be Hell to pay."

Parker rushed off, vowing to himself to get a transfer out of UCSunnydale. Buffy continued to look at Spike from under her lashes as he watched the other man run off. Buffy had always be equally repulsed and attacted to Spike. He looked good in the sun, and Angel did say she needed a man who could walk in the sun with her. Maybe this was an omen. Spike shifted his attention back to the Slayer.

"So, Slayer, I had planned on killing you, but I think I have better plans for you," Spike continued to growl as he moved on hand off of Buffy's face, down her neck to her pounding pulse point, "Much better plans. And you sealed your fate when you declared that you belong to me."

"W-w-what do you mean?" Buffy stammered. This would teach her to space out during one of Giles's lectures. She suddenly realized that she might have overplayed her hand and was in deep trouble. Especially when Spike's vamp face melted away to show his human disguise. She'd never realized before what a beautiful shade of blue his eyes were before.

"You are mine now, Slayer. I'm going to claim you, make you so totally mine Peaches won't ever be able to have you again."

"B-b-but..." Buffy's eyes filled with tears that flowed down her cheeks when she closed them, "I don't want to be a vampire, Spike. Please, not that." With Parker playing her for a fool and Spike going along with her revenge, Buffy was more than a little overwhelmed, so she turned into EmotionalBuffy instead of BitchyBuffy at Spike's words.

"Don't want you to be a vampire either, pet. Like you just the way you are. So we'll go through your classes, acting nice and normal, and then we will go some where private to finish our conversation." Spike looked down into Buffy's beautiful face and couldn't resist kissing her. His lips met hers. Firm and gentle, possessive and tentative, cold meeting warmth. Buffy gasped as shivers ran up and down her spine. That was unexpected. She had always imagined that her revulsion for him would win out over the attraction. Boy, was she ever wrong. Spike broke off the kiss, took her arm and grabbed her books for her.

Bufy's eyes popped open in surprise. Something strange was definitely going on. Spike was touching her in a very gentle way, and being so considerate as he carried her books. "Where to, pet?"

"Just one class today. Psychology 101, but I have it with Willow. You might freak her out," Buffy pointed out the building where the class was held.

"That's a chance I am willing to take, luv. Gonna stay close to my girl," Spike said, as he turned the two of them towards the building.

"What about Harmony?"

"That bint? She makes Dru look like a bloody genius. At least with Dru, even if you didn't understand her, you knew it meant something, even if was only to herself. Harmony keeps calling me Blondie Bear..." Spike shuddered. As they approached the building, they noticed a bright flash of red hair. Spike sauntered up to Willow, dragging a slightly reluctant Buffy behind him.

"Hello, Red. Look who I found hanging out in the Commons." Spike smirked as he dropped Buffy's books on the bench beside Willow. He sat down, pulling Buffy down on his lap. Willow's eyes grew rounder and rounder, till she finally made an eep sound that totally did sound better than any noise that emanated from that git Parker.

"S-S-Spike! And Buffy? Um...h-how are you?" Willow stuttered.

"Doing fine, now that I have found my girl, Red. How are you and..." Spike sniffed the air, "Dogboy doing?'

"Fine, fine. Well except the part where a certain someone kidnapped me and Xander. And we sorta made with the smoochies."

"What? You and the Whelp? Oh, Dogboy is much better than him," replied Spike. Buffy slapped Spike's chest.

"Watch it, Spike, Xander is our friend," Buffy said glancing at her watch, "Time to get to class." She grabbed her books as she stood up and moved towards the door of the building. Spike and Willow both hurriedly got up to keep up with the Slayer. Spike reached around Buffy and held the door for both girls.

When they reached the classroom, Spike sprawled in a seat between the two girls, scooted both of their chairs closer to him, and flung an arm behind each one. Acting as if he owned the world -- or at the very least the two women he was with -- Spike studied the room. When he decided that no one presented a problem, he closed his eyes. He was a bit tired with his sleep cycle being so messed up. He concentrated on singling out Buffy's heartbeat. Soon he was drifting along, but a gasp from the Slayer caused him to open his eyes. Entering the room behind the professor was a man. He was tall, dark, and...cardboardy. Spike studied him for a minute, then glanced at Buffy, raising an eyebrow. She quickly dashed off a little note to him.

The guy, Riley, the TA, he makes my vamp senses tingle.

Spike read the note, then tuned his senses in on the man in question. Yeah, now that he studied him, he too noticed something was odd. Spike nodded slightly, indicating that he felt it also, and passed Buffy's note on to Willow. She glanced from the note to Spike and Buffy, then just gave a little nod before going back to her notes.

Spike began to study Riley and the professor. As he watched them interact, he realized there was more to the relationship than teacher and assistant. Nothing sexual that he could ascertain, but something was there.

As soon as class was over, the three were trying to get out of the classroom as soon as possible when the teacher said, "Miss Summers, Miss Rosenburg, I notice you brought a friend to class today. I hope that doesn't become a habit."

Willow spoke up, "Oh no, Professor Walsh, he is just a friend from high school, back in town for a visit. Professor Walsh, this is..."

"William," Spike offered. He hadn't planned on shaking hands with the woman, but when she put her hand out to him, he worried that if he refused, it would cause her to get suspicious. So, he shook her hand, making sure to keep it weak and nerdy. He laughed inside at her obvious confusion. His handshake at odds with his punk bad boy appearance.

"Well, William, your hand is certainly cool for such a warm day. If I didn't know better I would say you were a vampire," Professor Walsh said slyly.

"Oh no, William has bad circulation. He's been like that as long as we've known him," replied Buffy, placing her hand in Spike's elbow as if to establish ownership.

"Just how long have you known each other, Miss Summers?" asked Professor Walsh.

"Gosh, it's been almost two years, hasn't it?" replied Willow, looking at Spike and Buffy. They both nodded. "See, if William was a vampire, he certainly would have eaten us both all up by now."

"Not for the lack of trying, pet," Spike waggled his eyebrows at Willow, smirked and did his sexy tongue roll. Willow blushed as bright as her hair at the sexual innuendo. Buffy slapped one arm and Willow slapped the other. Spike pretended like it actually hurt, but he was enjoying the attention. Then he pulled away from Buffy to go stand in a spot of sunlight. Professor Walsh shook her head and dismissed the three.

As soon as they left the building and were out in the sun, they hurried towards Buffy and Willow's dorm room. They got into the room without incident, and just as they were sitting down, there was a loud knock at the door. The two girls jumped just a little, both spooked by the weirdness that was Professor Walsh.

"Who's there?" asked Willow.

"Xander! Open up, Willow."

Willow crossed the room to the door. She opened it just a hair to peek out. Sure enough it was Xander, alone. Willow opened the door, and bowed dramatically. "Welcome to Casa Summers and Rosenburg."

Xander entered the room, skidding to a halt when he saw the vampire lounging on the bed next to the Slayer. "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING HERE?"

"Keep your voice down, you git. I am here with my girl."

"Your girl??"

Willow herded Xander to her side of the room, and pushed him down on the bed, telling him to shut up. Xander didn't like this one bit and kept throwing dirty looks at the vampire. Spike just smirked and pulled Buffy against his body.

"So, guys, what's up with Riley," asked Willow, pulling the note Buffy had written out of her notebook. She handed it to Xander, who quickly read it.

"I am not sure. He makes me all... wiggy," replied Buffy.

"I noticed it, too. But he is human, heartbeat and all," Spike spoke up, "And 'm suspicious of that professor of yours. Theer relationship isn't just teacher/aide. Not to mention her reaction to my handshake."

"What reaction?" Xander piped up.

"She asked Spike if he was a vampire," Willow told her friend. Xander thought that was kinda strange. Most people couldn't tell a vampire if it bit them, which was usually about the time the idiots figured it out.

"She asked even though Spike was out in broad daylight? He does that gem thingie Giles was going on about, right?" asked Xander. The others nodded.

"So what should we do?" asked Buffy, "I think Riley belongs to the fraternity in Lowell House. Normally I would say that one of us could ask him out on a date but..." Buffy broke off as Spike growled at her. She turned to look at him, but all he did was rub her cheek with his knuckles. His actions didn't scare her. She felt protected and safe. Strange feelings to have for her mortal enemy, or was he her former mortal enemy?

Willow and Xander watched them, both overwhelmed by the emotions that played across the faces of the Slayer and the vampire. They knew that Angel had truly broken Buffy's heart when he had left Sunnydale the previous spring, and they also knew that she would have done anything to have him stay, but still it hadn't been enough. Xander watched the tender display between the vampire and the slayer, and finally had to speak up.

"What's going on with you two? Buffy, you know he's an evil soulless creature, right?"

Spike looked away from Buffy to stare at Xander. Xander gulped and looked away from the vampire's intense eyes.

"I was on my way to kill her when I found her bein' shot down by that ponce Parker. Telling her she was just another notch on the bedpost. Made me see red. So when the Slayer decided to play a trick on him, I went along with it. Was brilliant fun, too. That made me decide there was something much more interestin' about Buffy than killing her," Spike said as he returned his eyes to Buffy. She looked down, embarrassed.

"I know he's evil and soulless, Xander, but... I don't know...you never really saw him with Drusilla. Not like I did. He was totally devoted to her for over 100 years. Is it so wrong to want some of that devotion for myself?" Buffy continued to look down at the bedspread as she played with it, too afraid to look up to see their reactions to her words. She would have been surprised by what she would have seen. "And he only left her after she gave him no hope. Now Angel has left me with no hope. He wanted me to find someone to walk in the sun with, to have the white picket fence with me and fat grandbabies with me. Well, Spike can walk in the sun while wearing the Gem of Amara. And okay, so there won't be fat grandbabies with Spike, but being the Slayer, who's to say I would live long enough to see any of those fat grandbabies, anyway?"

Spike looked at her with surprised awe. Yes, he definitely wanted to spend the rest of existence making this woman, this Slayer, happy.

Willow stared hard at her friend, realizing that Buffy hadn't been happy in a very long time. It had never quite dawned on her how hard dating Angel had been for Buffy. Sure Buffy had always acted like she was happy with Angel, but Willow wasn't quite so sure now, especially after the Angelus incident. And Xander... Xander finally understood that Buffy didn't want to be coddled or put on a pedestal. She wanted to be treated as an equal, something that Angel had never done. Something he suddenly realized that he had never done either. In that moment, Xander grew up and realized that all he really wanted was for Buffy to be happy. And if Spike made Buffy happy...well, what was a friend to do but be supportive?

Willow suddenly felt self-concsious around the pair. She glanced at the clock, and noticing the time, said, "I have to go meet Oz to watch the band practice. They're playing at the Bronze later. Maybe you guys and Anya can come watch them play? We could have a triple date!"

"Yeah, sure," replied Xander as Willow grabbed him, dragging him from the dorm room.

Now that they were alone, Buffy was unsure of herself. She continued to draw patterns on the bedspread until Spike decided to take matters into his own hands.

Spike stood up to take off his duster and kick off his boots. When he lay back down, he pulled her closer, molding her body to his. Lifting her face, he then covered her lips with his. As soon as she moaned, Spike slipped his cool tongue into the hot depths of her mouth. Their tongues tangled, exploring each other until Buffy was breathless. She broke away, rested her forehead on his chin and took deep breaths while Spike kissed her on the forehead.

"You taste so hot and sweet, pet. Like honey. And your smell... God.. .intoxicating. Always... from the beginning... intoxicating."

"You smell pretty darned good, too. Like whiskey... and smoke... and... you," Buffy whispered as she inhaled Spike's unique scent. He then tilted her face for another kiss, using her distraction to bring one hand up to massage one of her full breasts. His fingers crept to the buttons on her shirt, popping them open to expose her lace covered mounds. With a deft flick of his fingers, Spike undid the front closure and pulled back to look at the bounty before him.

"You are so beautiful, luv. Your rosy nipples are just begging to be nibbled on," Spike uttered as he quickly did just that. Buffy moaned as a jolt of pleasure shot straight down her body to her clit.

"Oh Spike, that...feels so good. I think...I could cum...just from this."

Spike took this as a challenge and attacked Buffy's nipples with earnest. He alternated sucking and using his fingers to knead the hard diamond points on her breasts. Buffy slammed a fist into her mouth, biting down as she climaxed just as she'd anticipated she would. Spike was quite pleased with himself. While Buffy came down from her orgasmic high, Spike worked quickly to undress her down to her satiny thong panties.

"Take off yours, too, Spike. No fair, me being the only one naked," Buffy murmured. Spike quickly whipped of his shirt and was rewarded with a gasp as Buffy saw his pale upper body. Because she couldn't help herself, she sat up on the bed to pull him closer to her. She buried her nose in his stomach, after inhaling and moaning at his scent, her hot little tongue darting out to taste his bellybutton. Now it was Spike's turn to groan as Buffy's tongue made a hot trail to the fine hairs that grew on his lower abdomen. Her fingers undid the top button of his pants and her hazel eyes lifted to look up into his lust-filled blue ones.

"I want to taste you, but...I don't want to disappoint you."

"Never, pet. Never disappoint me. You're too beautiful to ever do that. Just unbutton my pants the rest of the way and ease them down. You just do whatever you feel like doing, luv, I'm positive that anything will feel delicious."

Buffy did as Spike instructed. His cock, finally free from its cage, was pale, hard and oozing precum. Buffy felt excitement pool between her thighs when she saw him. She put one hand on the base of his penis, and gently, rhythmically stroked him. She couldn't resist sticking her tongue out to take a little taste of him. Wow, Spike is yummy.

Spike's knees buckled when suddenly Buffy engulfed the head of his dick with her hot mouth. Her tongue laved the bottom side his cock, then swirling the head. She sucked her cheeks in as she plunged him further in her mouth. After a few minutes of this treatment, Spike pulled away.

"Need to be in you, pet. Your mouth is so hot. Is your quim going to be hotter?"

Without a word, Buffy scooted up on the bed, putting her head on the pillow. She held her arms out to him. He kicked off his pants, joining her on the bed. He started to kiss her fiercely, while his hands molded themselves to her breasts. When she was out of breath and gasping in pleasure, he moved his hands down her body to take off her undies. Buffy's legs fell open, exposing herself to her lover.

As Spike continued to kiss Buffy, his fingers gently glided over the folds of her womanhood. She gasped against his lips when he found the nubbin hidden in her curls.

"Please Spike...inside me..." Buffy spread her legs wider to accommodate Spike's lean hips. He positioned his cock at the entrance of Buffy's heat, and with one thrust, he plunged into her. They both moaned. Spike dropped his head to Buffy's shoulder, trying desperately not to cum just from the hot, tightness of her body. Buffy put her arms and legs around Spike, holding him closer.

Spike began to pump his hips slowly, allowing Buffy to get use to his size. He pulled away from her shoulder to begin kissing her lips, then down her throat to her pulse point. Then he whispered, "Oh, baby... you' re so beautiful... so hot... so tight. Please be mine. I'll never leave you... stay with you... be with you...please... I... love you..."

Buffy pulled Spike's head away from her throat. "You won't leave me?" All the insecurities from her experiences with Angel pushed to forefront of her mind.

"Never, Slayer... if you're mine... I'll never leave you."

"What about killing people?"

"I bet we can work something out between us, luv. Slayer blood is better, richer than normal blood. I expect I can go all day on just a mouthful or two. Not even enough to weaken you."

Buffy's body began to quake with the onset of her orgasm. She threw her head back, exposing her throat. "Oh, God... Spike. Yes, bite me, make me yours," she moaned huskily.

Spike need no further urging. He pierced her flesh with his fangs, the pleasure-pain making Buffy's orgasm even more intense. After several deep pulls of her rich blood, Spike pulled away to growl 'mine' before licking the holes closed.

Buffy was barely able to squeak out, 'yours'. Something inside her, something primal, something slayer-ish guided Buffy's next actions. She leaned into Spike's neck and bit him. Bit him hard, causing him to slam into her body extra hard, as he convulsed with his own orgasm, as she growled 'mine' in his ear after taking a few sips of his blood. His reply, of 'yours' was murmured reverently into her neck. He melted bonelessly on top of her and all she could do was hug him tighter.

A bit later, after they both caught their breaths, Spike asked, "Do you know what you just did, luv?"

"Not. A. Clue! Just happened. I think the slayer did it. Funny, I think the Slayer likes you, Spike. Likes you a lot," Buffy giggled, "Need a nap. Gotta hit the bathroom, then I'll be ready to cuddle up for the nap." Buffy pushed Spike off of her and he settled on the bed as she hopped up to the bathroom.

When she came back, she stretched her body out next to his. Closing her eyes for a minute she realized she felt safe and happy. she hadn't felt that way for a long time. When she opened her eyes to look at Spike's face, she saw he was looking at her in adoration. She had a feeling things would never be the same again. Yep, that was it. Never be the same again.