Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, a big thanks to Ariel Dawn for betaing and helping me out when I got writer's block. You're the bestest. I also want to thank you all for reading this so far, you guys are awesome, thanks for sticking with it. :)
Chapter Five: Apologizing…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy sighed as she watched Dawn walk a good pace in front of her. She had tried to catch up with her younger sibling but Dawn refused to acknowledge her, her strides speeding up as Buffy approached her.

Damn her long legs, Buffy thought, annoyed with her little sister.

Dawn broke out into a run as they rounded the corner to their house, and with renewed speed she sprinted inside. When Buffy eventually caught up, she entered the house, only catching the tail end of Dawn's story.

“And then Buffy came crashing in, was completely rude and ruined my study session with Spike. She got mad and was a brat to Spike. I mean, seriously Mom, she called you crazy and she pretty much accused me and Spike of lying.”

Buffy winced when she heard her mother’s tone.

“Is this true Buffy?”

“Well, technically, yes but--”

“There is no but, Buffy. You are going to go back and apologize to Spike,” Joyce stated as Dawn grinned in victory. “And you,” she started, twirling back to Dawn. “You, go to bed, it’s late.”

“But Mom…” both of the girls whined at the same time.

“I don’t want to hear it. Dawn, up to bed, and Buffy, kitchen,” she said pointing her finger. Each girl gave a groan, glaring at each other before going to their respective destinations.

Buffy plopped herself down on a stool with a pout. She was in for a lecture …and here it comes in 3, 2, 1…

“Now Buffy, I raised you to treat everyone equally. Why is it that you seem to have a problem with Spike?” her mother questioned as she got out ingredients to make hot chocolate.

“Mom! He’s a vamp!” she exclaimed, as if that explained it all.

“I know that Buffy, there’s no need for you to yell. But Spike’s not only a vampire. How would you like it if someone only labeled you as a Slayer? Is the Slayer the only thing you are?”

“No,” she mumbled, not happy at all with the way this was going. Her mom's words were making her brain think and she didn’t like it. Denial, thy name was Buffy. She couldn't escape the fact that this was doubly true, after everything Nikole said.

Buffy perked up as her mother turned off the burner on the stove, signaling that the hot chocolate was ready. Instead of pouring her a mug, her mother laid a hand on top of hers.

“Buffy, I realize being the Slayer isn’t the easiest thing in the world...”

“Big understatement…”

“But that doesn’t give you the right to judge people and look down upon them because they are different,” she finished, taking her point in a different direction than Buffy thought she was going. “You wouldn’t like it if everyone judged you only on the things that make you the Slayer, so don’t you dare do it to others. Spike has feelings just like anyone else.” Joyce turned away, retrieving a thermos from one of the cupboards. Carefully, she poured all the hot chocolate into it, turning back as she put the lid on. “Now, you will take this hot chocolate to him and I expect you to apologize.”

“Mom!”

“Don’t 'mom' me young lady! You do as I say. And believe me, I will know if you don’t.” She stared Buffy straight in the eyes, her stare reflecting a serious and slightly scary mom. Buffy nodded her head once, and Joyce gave her a smile, handing her the thermos delicately before making a pointed glance at the back door.

Buffy’s pouting lip protruded further. However, after getting no reaction from her mother, Buffy stood up, shuffled her way to the door, taking her time as she did so. Her mother yelled after her as she began to close the door.

“And don’t you dare take a sip of that unless Spike lets you!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stupid vamp, he has mom all brainwashed, Buffy thought as she trudged through the entrance of the cemetery, the thermos held loosely in her hand. She had seriously contemplated drinking the chocolate herself and then looping back home in a half an hour but her mother’s voice rung in her head. Not to mention that her mom was down right scary when she wanted to be.

Buffy slowed her pace and nearly stopped she heard the laughter from Spike’s crypt. It got louder as she stepped closer. Getting as close to the door as she dared, she could hear the rumble of Spike’s voice, punctuated by laughter, presumably Nikole’s.

Buffy took a step even closer, pressing her ear to the door, trying to hear exactly what Spike was saying, but the noise abruptly stopped. Buffy flew away from the door and tried to act natural while the door opened. Casually, Spike stepped out.

“What do you want Slayer?” he questioned, resting in the doorway.

Buffy gave a little cough at being caught and walked out into the moonlight, giving him a weak smile.

“Been standing there long?” he asked.

“Nope, just got here,” she lied.

Spike smirked at her, telling her he knew she was lying, but why he didn’t call her on it, she didn’t know.

“So…” he drawled out.

“What?”

“Slayer, you’re on my doorstep, not the other way around.”

“Oh yeah,” she said with a tiny blush. Why was he able to get her all flustered all the sudden? She took a deep breath before looking back up at him. He stood poised, head titled, waiting for whatever.

“I’m here to apologize,” she finally admitted, bracing herself for the remark she knew was going to fly her way.

“Alright,” he simply said, surprising her. When he didn’t say anything else, she clenched the fist not holding the thermos and gritted her teeth.

“So I’m sorry, for the way I treated you earlier.”

“No problem Slayer, you’re just looking out for your lil’ sis,” he offered nonchalantly. “Is that it? Because I’ve got company to tend to.”

“I…well…”

Is he brushing me off? This was not a scenario she had anticipated. And it startled her that she was hurt by this fact. In regular Slayer fashion, the hurt turned to anger.

“Here,” she said, stepping forward and thrusting the thermos at him.

“What's this?” he asked, inspecting the thermos.

“Hot chocolate. Mom made it for you,” she answered curtly.

“That was right nice of her. Tell her thanks, yeah?”

“Sure…”

“Well, you better get home Slayer, before your mum worries. Ta!” With that Spike turned, closing the crypt door firmly behind him.

Buffy blinked. What had just happened?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike stood against the door, fighting the urge to turn right around and say sorry to Buffy. Alright, so he hadn’t been all that cold but still, she had for once apologized to him and he had blown her off.

It was for the best, right? Spread a little light on just what she had and didn’t even know till it’s gone…

He then resisted the urge to slam his head back into the metal door, when a hand was laid on his arm.

“You did good,” Nikole said gently.

“Yeah? Then why do I feel like a stupid git for what I just did?” He broke free from her tender grip and threw himself harshly on the couch, bouncing slightly.

“Spike, didn’t we just have this discussion?” she asked with a sigh.

“That we did pet. It just…argh…it’s hard to break a bloody habit once you’ve started it.”

“I know, that’s why you just got to take it one step at a time. Now, what do you got there?”

Spike looked down at the thermos still held in one hand and smirk.

“Oh luv, you’re in for a treat.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy stood outside the crypt in inner turmoil. She was finding it hard to resist the desire to stomp inside the crypt and pound the living snot out of the vamp. After everything, after she had apologized, he'd acted as if nothing had happened and literally closed the door on her face. And he didn’t offer her any hot chocolate to boot.

Not that apologizing had been her idea or anything but still…

Buffy found herself in a foul mood indeed.

Her attention was drawn to the right as a fledge began to claw its way out of its grave.

Nothing like a good slay to cheer me up…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Oh my god.”

Spike grunted in agreement.

“It’s perfect. Who made it?” Nikole asked as she took another sip from her mug, savoring the way the hot chocolate tasted on her enhanced taste buds, almost purring in delight.

“Slayer’s mum,” Spike answered, staring down into his mug. Now that he thought about it, Slayer probably had only apologized because her mum made her. He didn’t feel so bad after that deduction.

“What ya thinking?” Nikole inquired, noticing his facial expression and the slight change in his aura.

“Just laughing at myself. Slayer was acting all hurt when her Mum was the one that made her ‘pologize, and I was worried I’d hurt the chit’s feelings.” His laughter was rough. He hated when Buffy played mind games with him.

“She’s still outside you know,” she commented.

“Yeah, I can feel her. She’s fighting a fledge.”

“Feel like a little fun?” she asked with a mischievous smirk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy delivered a roundhouse kick, sending the vampire spinning. She quickly extracted her stake from its hiding place and slammed it into the fledge’s back, finding its mark.

She coughed as she swatted the dust from the air, her hearing picking up on the opening of Spike’s crypt. She dashed behind a mausoleum, trying to slow her breathing as she hid.

“Well, aren’t you a gentleman, but I think I can walk myself to the Magic Box. Remember, vamp here too.” Nikole’s voice was teasing and for reasons unknown to her, Buffy found a frown marring her face.

“Right luv, almost forgot ‘bout that. See ya tomorrow, after dusk?”

“You got it.”

Buffy peeked her head around the corner just in time to see Spike kiss Nikole on the cheek. She didn’t know whether to feel disappointed because there hadn’t been lips and tongues, which she had suspected there'd be, or happy because there hadn’t been.

Spike and Nikole smiled at each other before she walked off with a flirtatious glance over her shoulder, disappearing into the shadows.

Spike started to close the door, but stopped in his tracks. He took a deep breath before turning around.

“You know Slayer, with all the hanging around you’re doing, I might just start to think you’re stalking me.” His voice was teasing and she could just imagine the smirk on his face.

“Pfft, as if Spike,” Buffy automatically replied before remembering that she was suppose to be hiding. She mentally smacked herself before strolling out as though she had planned it.

“Well Slayer, I care to differ since this is, what? The second time I’ve caught you.” He quirked an eyebrow at her, the smirk on his face not budging one inch.

“I was fighting a vamp,” she reasoned. “You know, you do live in a cemetery. Vamps not so uncommon.”

“Sure, whatever you need to tell yourself. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some kip to get. 'Night Slayer.” He nodded his head and turned inside, the crypt door closing with a resounding thud.

Buffy stood dumbfounded. No way had he brushed her off again. Oh no, no way was this flying. She marched to the door and slammed it open with a kick.

“Where do you get off?” she ranted, planting her hands on her hips, Spike flashing her a naughty grin.

“Well luv, to be honest, I--” Spike was cut off as Buffy slammed him against the wall. “Geez Slayer, what’s got your panties in bunch?”

“Remind me again why I don’t stake you?”

“You sure it shouldn’t be the other way around, and more why you don’t let me stake you?”

Buffy’s answer was a punch to the face and Spike shook it off as best as he could. He continued to taunt her nonetheless.

“Boy, Slayer, seems like ya got some pent up tension and… frustration. Solider boy not getting the job done?”

“Can we not discuss my sex life?” Buffy demanded.

“Or lack thereof.”

“You are so asking for it,” she threatened as she pulled out a stake from the waistband of her pants.

“Yeah, so give it to me good.” Spike leered at her.

Buffy tightened her grip on the stake and held it up. They stood facing off until Spike finally caved and latched onto Buffy, bringing her closer to him. His lips ghosted over hers and he hesitated before letting her go and stepping away.

Again Buffy didn’t know whether to feel glad, or disappointed, or hurt. She stood breathing hard before embarrassment took over her and she lunged, punching Spike with more force than she intended and knocked him to the ground. “Nobody would want to give you anything,” she snarled. How did I let him get that close to kissing me?

Spike stared up at her with unshielded anger and glared at her as she turned and marched out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tbc…