Author's Chapter Notes:
As always, many thanks to the lovely Ariel Dawn for betaing, and to everyone else who are still reading this.
Chapter Six: Nausea
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy’s evening had gone from bad to worse and her day didn’t seem to be getting any better.

After her encounter with Spike left her frustrated, in more ways than one, she’d gone home to find Riley waiting for her, wanting to take her back to his place. And while she’d normally be more than willing, the thought of doing anything with Riley had her shying away and she politely rejected his offer, feigning ‘womanly’ problems to get him out in record time. Her almost kiss with Spike had awoken something within her and it balked at the idea of kissing Riley instead of a leaner, blonder, shorter vamp.

Her thoughts seemed to escape her and the day passed by in a blur. The only thing that permeated her mind was Spike, and the dreams she’d had the night before. Over and over, her dreams would take a radical turn from fighting with Spike to a certain disposition she never imagined she’d find herself in. Well, at least not since Willow’s spell last year.

Her mind wondered off into memories and she didn’t register Riley standing in front of her until he had cupped her cheek, and she pulled away roughly from him.

“Buffy?” he questioned as he lowered his hand, his brows drawn together.

“Oh, hi Riley,” she replied, plastering her best fake smile on. She felt a wave of nausea sweep over her as he grabbed onto her, wrapping her into a hug.

“So, you up for tonight?” he whispered into her ear, his hot breath making her feel more smothered than she already felt.

“Umm, no and can’t.”

“What?” He pulled away from her, something she was infinitely grateful for.

“No, for obvious reasons we talked about last night, and can’t because it’s Wednesday, which means weekly post-apocalyptic dinner with Mom and Dawn,” she answered, stepping away from him.

“Oh…well, I could come with you?” He gave her his best Boy Scout smile and Buffy’s mind panicked for some excuse to rebuff his suggestion without making it apparent.

“Maybe next week. Mom’s been all clingy and wanting just girl time with her girls.” Buffy gave him a remorseful smile in return.

“Okay… okay then, guess I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Buffy nodded her head and when he leaned forward to kiss her, she turned her face, his sloppy kiss landing on her cheek instead. He gave her another frown before walking away.

Buffy exhaled a sigh of relief, leaving campus and making her way towards the Magic Box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The bell on the door of what had become the Scooby HQ rang as Buffy walked through the entrance. Anya greeted her with a smile, as did the two Wicca lovers, who were seated at the table, mountains of books surrounding them.

“Oh good, you’re here,” Giles half greeted from the balcony.

“Yup, one Slayer, reporting in,” she replied as Giles slowly descended the stairs, his arms laden with books. “So, any info on my baddie?”

“I’m afraid not yet,” he answered as he deposited the books on the table. “It seems as though she’s much more ancient than I thought her to be. We’re scouring our resources as best we can and I’ve yet to hear from the Council. My hopes are that they turn up something more advantageous than we have.”

“Alright, well, I’ll take Nikole out on another patrol tonight, if I can find her, and then I’ll see if she knows anything or can help with the research. Speaking of Nikole…”

“Yes?” Giles prompted looking up at her.

“How would you feel if she helped me train?” At his expression, Buffy rushed on. “It’s not that I’m trying to replace you, because you know, can’t replace my Watcher, but she’s not as breakable as you are and I bet I could learn tons from her,” she added with a nod of her head.

“Yes, as I was going to say, I think that’d be beneficial. Not that training you isn’t a joy, but I could do without the bruises, and yes, her vast knowledge could prove beneficial to your repertoire of skills, so by all means, go for it.”

“Thanks Giles. I’m just going to workout a bit before heading home, so I’ll be in the back,” she said, scurrying away before he could make her do any research.

She quickly changed and began stretching her muscles. Buffy let everything else fall way as she methodically worked the punching bag, letting the tension leave her body with each hit. She was frustrated with her reactions with Riley, not knowing why her body was acting the way it was. It was true that she never sizzled under his attentions but for her to be reduced to being almost physically ill…

If she was perfectly honest with herself, her reactions weren’t that far off. It wasn’t that Riley made her sick; it was that he did nothing for her. Even more so, he made her feel smothered, even childish at times, and not in a good way. She was always putting up a front with him, and it bugged her the more she thought about it. She never got to just be herself around him in fear that she’d scare him off. She could, however, be herself in front of Spike.

Where’d that thought come from? She tried to push it away but, like the rest of her thoughts that day, anything that pertained to Spike stuck. Grudgingly, she knew it was true. Spike took her at face value, and never expected anything more or anything less; he just let her be. The fact that her own boyfriend didn’t do the same made her more mad and she punched the bag with renewed vigor.

So far gone into her anger, she didn’t notice Nikole slip into the training room, but she did notice the tap on her shoulder. Her body reacted automatically and she spun, lashing out, only to be stopped by a steel grip on her arm.

“Trying to do a repeat performance of last night?” Nikole snarled, still holding Buffy’s arm firmly.

“Huh?” Buffy’s mind raced. What is she talking about?

“Never mind,” she said, slowly letting Buffy’s arm go and taking a step away.

“You catch up with Giles?” Buffy asked, grabbing a towel and brushing herself off with it.

“Yeah, I pointed him in the direction that I think will prove fruitful, but I’m just almost as clueless as he is about it,” Nikole replied nonchalantly.

Buffy stretched out again, checking the clock and glancing at the windows lining the top of one wall, the fading sunlight barely penetrating the windows but enough to make it unsafe for vamps to be out. “It’s still light out, how’d you get here?”

“Spike took me through the sewers.”

“Oh.” Buffy had to fight down the pang of jealousy she suddenly felt.

“Feel like sparring?” Nikole asked after a moment. She’d seen what Buffy had done to Spike and one way or another she was going to teach the girl a lesson.

“Sure,” Buffy agreed eagerly, glad to have someone that’d put up a challenge.

Nikole turned away, a wicked smile on her face as she shed her coat, tossing it onto the couch. She outstretched her arms, bowing out her back. “You ready?” she questioned.

“Oh yeah!” Buffy answered, her tone overconfident.

In a blur of motion, Buff found herself confronted with a whirl of black, barely blocking Nikole’s attacks before finding herself being slammed back, sliding across the floor, coming to a rest as her back hit the wall.

“I thought you said you were ready?” Nikole taunted.

“Me too,” Buffy grumbled, getting up and shaking her head. She rolled her shoulders and got back into stance. When Nikole didn’t make a move, Buffy took the initiative and came forward, circling her. Nikole stood still, waiting to see what Buffy would do. As Buffy rounded around her, she shifted, striking out. Nikole counter acted, holding herself back and slowing down her moves. The two traded jabs before Nikole used some magic to make herself disappear, rematerializing behind Buffy’s back.

“Hey! That’s not fair!” the Slayer cried, whipping back around, only to find that Nikole had disappeared again.

“What? Don’t like it when someone else has the advantage?” Nikole’s voice whispered in her ear, but when she turned again, she was nowhere to be seen.

“What’s that suppose to be mean?” Buffy placed her hands on her hips, puzzled with Nikole’s statement.

“You tell me.” Nikole’s voice whispered on the air to the back and left. Buffy turned, finding Nikole standing behind her this time.

“I’m not so good with the cryptic, so why don’t you just tell me what the heck is going on,” Buffy demanded.

“Was just stating a fact. You only like it when you have the advantage. It makes you feel powerful, superior.” Nikole circled around her this time, her glance nothing but predatory and Buffy turned to keep her in her line of sight.

“Look, I don’t know what’s going on here so why don’t you cut the bull and mystics and just clue me in.” Buffy was growing impatient and something about Nikole’s stare was really throwing her off.

“I’m guessing you haven’t seen him then, haven’t seen what you’ve done,” Nikole said even as her mind began to see that her lesson wasn’t going to way she wanted. Oh well, there were plenty of other ways…

“Who? What? Seen what?” Buffy mind whirled, trying to keep up with what Nikole was saying.

“I guess you’ll just have to wait till you see,” Nikole stated, her tone telling Buffy she wasn’t going to say anymore.

Buffy was very off put. Nikole’s mind, or logic, was working in ways that she couldn’t comprehend. As Buffy tried to figure out what was up, Nikole grabbed her jacket and began walking out.

“Wait! Nikole?” Buffy faltered, trying to figure out what to say. “I don’t know what you’re going on about, but I thought…I just…I thought we were cool, you know? Maybe even with a tentative friendship?” As the words left her mouth, she found herself readily agreeing with them. It was hard being the Slayer and just hanging with Nikole the night before and their small talk had proved that maybe she was someone she could confide in and know what it was like to be her.

Nikole let out a sigh, her eyes scanning over Buffy’s conflicted aura. “So what are you proposing?”

“I thought you’d might like to come to dinner? Meet my Mom.”

Nikole thought a moment. She had an idea Buffy's mom was a force to reckoned with and she’d be one to definitely do something about the events of last night. “Sure Buffy, that’d be nice,” Nikole agreed, smirking inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom! I brought someone over for dinner!” Buffy called out as she opened the door. She mumbled a ‘come in’ to Nikole and made her way towards that kitchen, feeling Nikole at her back.

The site that greeted her wasn’t a pleasant one. The seated, black leather duster clad figure only meant one person: Spike. Her mother’s face was set in a furious expression, her lips pressed into a thin line.

“Do you have anything to say for yourself?” her mother asked crossing her arms.

“What?” Again Buffy was confused. First Nikole and now her mom. Did everyone forget to take their coherent pill today?

“It’s alright Joyce, no need to worry ‘bout me,” Spike mumbled but Joyce brushed him off.

“Oh no, we need to deal with this.”

“What is this?” Buffy cried, confused beyond belief.

“Spike, show her,” Joyce said.

“Joyce…” Spike began but Joyce cut him off.

“William, don’t make me tell you again,” she warned. “Show her.”

Spike shoulders gave a sigh and he slowly turned on the stool. Buffy’s eyes grew wide as she saw his face, involuntarily giving a gasp. One side of his face was an array of bruising colors, ranging from a deep purple to a sickly yellow. His eye was puffed and only opened half way.

She felt her heart rate speed up and swallowed convulsively. She held back the whimper that clogged her throat. What had she done?