~Set in Season 6, Spike wants proof that Buffy is his and only his, that she won’t just wake up one day and find a new guy. How he does it tho, is more sweet than candy.~

-A/N- Another of my many short fluffy ficlets, the only type I’m actually good at.-

It’s What You Wanted, Right?

It was cold and dank evening in Sunnydale, the kind of nights that Buffy hated patrolling on. It made it harder for her to concentrate, delayed her movements and made her an easier target for vampires. To add to the badness of the night, she had a shift at the Doublemeat. Night shifts were the worst at that place, that’s when all the weird workers came in and just stared at her while she went about her job.

To top it all off and put the icing on the cake, Spike had to show his pale, vampiric, but yet very handsome face. Very handsome face? Buffy what are you thinking? She said to herself. He rolled her eyes as he stepped out in front of her, she hadn’t even sensed he was there to begin with, which kind of creeped her out. “What?” She coldly asked.

“ ‘What?’ That’s not a very nice greeting, pet. I’m sure you can do better than that.” He acted disappointed by her rude and annoyed greeting. He placed his hands in his duster pockets.

“Sure I can, but why should I waste a good hello on you?” Yet a rude comment sent his way was never a waste. “Besides, I’m not sticking around. I have to go to work, so if you’ll get out of my way, I’ll be going to do that.” She ordered.

“Planned on it hunny bunny.” He smirked. “But first, I have something for you.” He pulled his right hand out of his pocket, holding a long velvet necklace box. Slowly he handed it to her.

“What the hell is this?” She didn’t bother opening it, not daring to let him see that she had any interest at all in doing so.

“Call it an earlier Christmas gift.” He murmured as he did as he was told and got out of her way, quickly disappearing into the shadows of the graveyard.

Buffy placed the box into her own pocket and continued on her way to the Palace. Upon getting there, she removed the box from her jacket pocket and took a look at it, still not peeking inside, then without much further thought, swiftly tossed it into the overflowing trashcan.

Her night was extremely slow and all she thought about was getting home to her warm bed. Before going home though, she had some things to take care of which included making Dawn some fisherman’s nuggets, checking under the table for left over gum, and emptying out the trash cans.

“I hate the smell of fish...” She complained to herself as she deep fried the nuggets. “I hate the smell of fish..” She repeated. “My god you’re turning into one of them Buffy, talking to yourself and staring blankly at the wall, get out while you still have the chance.” She finished cooking and wiped off all of cookers and fryers.

She checked the tables and gratefully found that there was no sign of any gum adhering to their undersides. Next were the trashcans. She noticed the box she’d recently discarded into one of them and sighed before pulling it back out, thankful that there wasn’t any unwanted condiments slopped on it. Stashing it in her pocket once again, she took out the trash and headed for home.

Walking home at 4 in the morning wasn’t really her favorite thing to do, but night after night she did it. Mostly for Dawn, in fact if it weren’t for Dawn she’d probably be living with one of her friends or on the street by now.

She was relieved when her house was finally visible on good ole’ Revello Drive. She quickly picked up her pace and got inside and up to her room. Wasting little time she got her pajamas on and stood by her mirror, with the little box in hand. “Why do I have to be the one that the vampires fall for? Why me?” That said, she opened the box.

She carefully lifted out the piece of jewelry and looked at it. It was a thin silver chain with a charm strung on it, the charm was a little silver ‘B’ with a tiny diamond in the corner. She’d admit, it was beautiful. She thought a minute, about whether or not she should wear it, after all it was from Spike.

The next night, while she was out on patrol before work again, she came across a couple of vampires, ones with strength ten times as powerful as her own. There were three of them. It happened so suddenly she didn’t even really remember anything except that they snapped her arm practically in half before they knocked her unconscious. The next thing she knew, she was awakening in the hospital.

Her eyes were crossed and she had a few bruises on her neck and a cast on her arm. She warily looked around the room, recognizing it as Sunnydale Memorial Hospital. Spike? Why was he there and her friends weren’t? “Spike?” She wanted to verify that it was him she was seeing and not hallucinations.

“Luv?” He responded, looking up from the magazine he’d been keeping himself occupied with. “You alright?” It was a stupid question, even he knew that, but it was better to make sure.

“Why am I here?” She asked, turning her head towards him. He had been sitting in a chair right next to her hospital bed ever since he’d brought her there two hours before.

“You had a big fight with a couple of macho-vamps. They knocked you out and I found you laying by a tombstone, brought you here. Figured it’d be the best thing for you.” He explained to her slowly and quietly.

“Oh...” She carefully sat up using her one uninjured arm. “Thank you.”

Spike gave a nod. “And I see you’ve decided to accept my gift.” He added with a smirk.

“What?” She put her hand to her chest and found that the necklace was no longer hidden beneath her shirt. She grasped the charm in her fist, as if still trying to hide it. She said nothing.

He smiled at her. Happy that she chose to wear it and because of how cute was being, trying to hide it from him. “That’s my girl, always hiding her feelings and now my necklace.”

She glared at him, telling him to shut up with her look. “Wasn’t that the point, me to wear it? It’s...it’s what you wanted, right?”

Spike nodded with a grin. ‘Bout time she had something that proved she was his slayer even if they were the only two that knew about that little symbol of hidden love.