Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow thanks for the reviews I really hope I don't disappoint. I have this return up to Chapter 6 so I'll post a new chapter every few days. I'm currently working on Chapter 7 but I'm also fighting a major case of writer's block so bare with me. Thanks again to my three reviewers NEO_trinityknot, Blazing Fire, and katakata.
Chapter 3

Phone Calls and Flashbacks

“Oh God!” Fred stared at Buffy with a mixture of sympathy and horror. How had this young woman gone through something so terrible and survived? Did Buffy know what she was doing when she wore the amulet? What had made her do it? Thousands of questions popped into Fred’s head, but they went unanswered and without Buffy’s help they’d stay that way. Buffy seemed unfazed by the groups reaction to the chilling truth, she had fallen fast asleep.

Lorne, Wesley, and Gunn had similar reactions to the discovery. Lorne had his hand over his mouth and for one of the few times in his life he was absolutely speechless. Gunn too stared at Buffy unsure of what to do. Wesley kept glancing nervously at Angel, having known the truth a little longer than the others he seemed to have gotten over the initial shock.

Angel didn’t move or speak, he simply stared at the amulet as if it was something poisonous. The air in Angel’s office was tense, no one seemed to know what to say or do. Angel suddenly reached for the amulet that lay on his desk and threw it at the wall. The amulet landed on the ground clattering loudly, but it remained undamaged.

Wesley went over to where the amulet had landed and picked it up. He walked back over to Angel’s desk and laid it down gently. Angel glared at him.

“Buffy and the amulet are connected. If anything were to happened to it Buffy could be hurt.” Wesley tried to explain.

“Like she hasn’t been hurt already?” Angel glowered.

Wesley sighed, “I’m just saying Angel. If you were to damage the amulet something serious could happened to her.”

Sensing a fight, Fred tried to intercept, “Look this isn’t anyone’s fault. We didn’t know what would happen to Buffy if she wore the amulet. No one could have known.”

“Oh yeah?” Angel countered, “You weren’t the one to give it to her were you? I thought I was helping but it was my fault that she ended up in Hell. I should have known if it was connected to this place it would have to be evil.”

“Angel don’t blame yourself. You didn’t know.”

“Get out.”

Lorne looked up sharply, “What!”

“You heard me I want you out of my office.” He turned his back as if dismissing them.

The others stared in disbelief at Angel who continued to stare out the windows with his back to them. One by one they left the office. Gunn was the last to leave slamming the door behind him. “What was up with him?”

“He’s just taking the news really hard.” Fred said defensively.

“Yes, well he didn’t have to take it out on us did he?”

Fred stared at her feet, “Yes I suppose you’re right.”

Gunn turned to Wesley, “I have a question Wes. When Buffy left Hell how come all the other evil guys didn’t come with her?”

“Like I said before, Buffy and the amulet have a special connection. So it could only bring her back.”

Gunn seemed satisfied with his answer. Lorne though seemed to be struggling with something, he acted like he was about to say something but each time he stared to speak he stopped. Finally he asked, “Okay so if she was in Hell why isn’t she dead?”

Wesley looked thoughtful, “I’m not sure really. It quite amazing though. She alive in every sense of the word, but like Angel said there’s something missing. She looks like Buffy, but she isn’t really.” He shrugged, “I guess that means more research for me.”

“I’ll help you.” Fred piped in.

Together they walked down the hall to do more research on Buffy and the amulet.

Gunn and Lorne stood alone outside Angel’s office.

“I’m going out.” Gunn started walking toward the elevator doors.

Lorne called after him, “Wait up, I could use a couple of drinks myself.”

Gunn pushed the down button and looked at Lorne wearily, “After today I don’t think a couple drinks are enough.”

Angel hadn’t moved, he continued to stare out the windows sorting out his thoughts. He knew he shouldn’t have lashed out at everyone like that, but he was so angry. At himself mostly, but also at Buffy, which made him even angrier. He blamed himself for giving her the amulet but he blamed her for wearing. She had to have known what she was doing and after what happened last time she died, how could she have been so careless. It was stupid he knew to be angry at someone for dying, but he couldn’t help but feel that way. If only she had let him stay with her that day, maybe… Angel gave a frustrated sigh. There was no time for maybes, Buffy was back and she needed his help. He would do everything it takes to get her back again. Angel walked over to where Buffy was laying on the couch. Even in her sleep she fidgeted constantly, small jerky movements. He brushed away a strand of hair that had fallen in her face. I’ll make this better he silently vowed. With that Angel went back to his desk, he had a phone call to make.

Rome, Italy

Rupert Giles thumbed slowly through one of his old Watcher’s journals. He found it reassuring especially on bad days, like today. Last night a group of Slayers had raided a warehouse which was believed to house demon activities. It had and several of the girls had gotten badly injured. Giles had been helping care for them but he wasn’t sure it was enough. He found himself drawn to the journals, he thought it helped take his mind of this awful day. Giles enjoyed reminiscing about the old times before that fateful day one year ago.

Giles sat in the bus peering out the window worriedly. Many of the injured were crying out in pain. Willow and some of the other Slayers were tending to them, doing the best they could.

A usually talkative Andrew sat in a trance like state.

Xander too was in shock and kept muttering the same name over and over again “Anya.”

Dawn kept looking anxiously out the back of the bus. He knew she was looking for Buffy, he too was wondering what had happened to her and Faith.

A loud thud from the roof of the bus startled him, Giles tried to see what was going. Dawn seemed to have better luck then him because she yelled excitedly, “It’s Buffy! You have to stop! Stop the bus!” The bus came to a halting stop but it was not Buffy who came on. A pale, stricken Faith and a semi-conscious Spike staggered in. Faith, who had been supporting Spike, dropped him into a nearby seat. “He needs help. Could somebody help him?” Immediately one of the girls went to him and began to take care of his many wounds. All eyes were on Faith, even Xander and Andrew were staring at her curiously, but she refused to meet their inquiring gazes and stared at her hands instead. Giles followed closely by Dawn went up to her. “Where’s Buffy?” She didn’t answer him. Giles grabbed her shoulders and shook her hard, “Where is she damn it!” Faith looked at him, her pale face laden with tears. “She didn’t make it.” Giles let her go, his world collapsing around him and the only sound he heard was Dawn wailing beside him.

The days after that seemed like a blur to him. The memorial had been especially hard. A few days after they had left Sunnydale they returned to it, at least what was left of it a giant carter in the ground. They said their last goodbyes to Buffy and to Anya who had died heroes. They said goodbye to their old lives as well. Because they knew things would never be the same after this. They had each left something in that giant crater. And finally they said goodbye to each other. Xander would not be going with them to Rome. He said he had fought enough apocalypses for one lifetime. He had lost something that day with Anya and Buffy, he lost part of himself something he could never get back. He could no longer be the funny Xander they loved. The last Giles had heard, Xander was living somewhere in California working various construction jobs. There had been frequent letters and phone calls at first, but one day he stopped calling and stopped writing. He was moving on Giles knew and he was glad, but it hurt just the same. A couple days later Giles, Dawn, Spike, Willow, Andrew and most of the Slayers left for Rome. Minus Faith and Robin, who hadn’t been seen since Buffy and Anya’s memorial. There they set up their headquarters and for a few months everything seemed to be going well. Then one day Willow told him she had decided to go back to the States. There was rumored to be a hellmouth in Ohio and she wanted to be there to help out. Not to long after that they said goodbye to Willow, Andrew, and the Slayers they took with them. Willow called to let him know how things were going once a month, but it wasn’t the same. He missed the bright, young red-head.

So that left Dawn, Spike and him. Dawn had been a wreck after losing her sister, crying day and night. No one seemed to be able to console her. She refused to accept her new life in the beautiful Italian city, she wanted things to go back to the way they were. For days she stayed in her room, leaving only to eat and shower. But with much help from Giles and Spike she moved on and decided to live her life. “The hardest thing to do in this world is to live in it. Be brave live for me.” Dawn lived everyday for her sister. She enrolled in a local college and became a full-time student. She had made lots of new friends and a great new boyfriend, Paolo. Giles knew Dawn was happy but the same couldn’t be said for Spike. Spike had helped Dawn to move on after her sister’s death. The two had grown a lot closer since their last day in Sunnydale. But Spike had changed since that day. He was no longer the outspoken vampire he’d once been, he was quiet and reserved. He had little contact with humans except for Dawn and Giles. He stopped fighting the good fight and withdrew completely. Only with much begging from Dawn did he agree to help train the new Slayers. Giles finally accepted that Spike loved Buffy, and they too had gotten closer with her passing.

The shrill ringing of the phone broke into Giles’ thoughts.

“Hello Rupert Giles speaking. How can I help you?”

“Giles?”

“Yes?”

“Giles it’s Angel.”

Giles couldn’t disguise the surprise in his voice. “Angel it’s been awhile. Have you been?”

“Fine, fine,” Angel sounded impatient. “Listen Giles there’s something I need to tell you.”

“Okay?”

“I don’t know how to tell you this.” He paused, “Do you remember the amulet you guys used at Sunnydale?”

“Yes I do.”

“Well someone sent it to me and when I touched it…”

“Angel?”

“Buffy’s back.”

Silence

“Giles I’m sorry but I didn’t know how to tell you. I know this is quite a shock…”

Giles cut him off, “We’ll be on the next flight to L.A.”

“Giles there’s something else you should know.”

“It can wait till we get there. Goodbye Angel.”

“Giles wait!”

But Giles hung up the phone. He looked down at the book in his lap, realizing his usually neat writing was smudged. He touched the smudges, smearing the blue ink. He must have dripped some of his drink on it when he had been talking on the phone. Giles tossed the book from his lap angry at himself for ruining the pages. He stood up and began walking to his room, but when he passed a mirror he stopped. Because Giles realized it had been his own tears that had smeared the pages.

Wolfram and Hart, L.A.

“Angel I’m sorry I bothered you but…” Fred broke off realizing Angel wasn’t listening to her because he had fallen asleep in his chair. She walked up to him and tapped him lightly on the shoulder trying to wake him up. When that didn’t work she tried shaking him but still no effect.

“Angel!” She yelled in his ear. This time it worked because a startled Angel looked up at Fred confused.

She gave a small smile, “I’m sorry to scare you Angel but Wesley and I wanted to talk to you.”

“What time is it?”

“Noon.”

Angel jumped out his chair. “Oh no I forgot. They’re coming and…Buffy where’s Buffy?”

“She’s sleeping on the couch.” She looked at him concerned. Angel are you okay?”

Angel looked to see Buffy sleeping peacefully on the couch. He sighed in relief. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine. Look Fred could you get everybody to meet me out in the lobby in ten minutes.”

“Sure I can do that.”

He smiled at her, “Thanks Fred. I’ll see you then.”

She turned to leave, “Okay bye Angel.”

Angel needed to tell everyone what was going on. Giles was coming today to see Buffy at least who he thought was Buffy. Angel didn’t know how he was going to tell him, explain to Giles what had happened to her. Angel wasn’t even sure exactly what had happened to her. Angel was beginning to feel overwhelmed with the daunting task in front of him.

Ten minutes later Angel left his office and entered the lobby where Fred, Gunn, Wesley and Lorne were waiting of him. Gunn was staring at him angrily, Lorne was completely ignoring him, Wesley looked uncertain and kept looking at the elevator as if looking for and escape, and Fred looked worried. Angel had forgotten about his outburst last night.

“Look guys I’m sorry for kicking you out like that. I was angry about Buffy, I shouldn’t have yelled like that. I’m sorry.”

Fred smiled warmly, “It’s okay Angel, we understand.”

“Yeah whatever.” Gunn muttered.

“Giles, Buffy’s Watcher, is coming today to see her.”

Wesley looked startled, “Mr. Giles is coming here.”

Angel nodded, “I called him last night to tell him about Buffy.”

“How’d he take it?”

“Not well.”

Fred looked sympathetic, “When should we expect him?”

“Well there’s one more thing I need to tell you.”

“What?”

But before Angel could answer a terrified scream pierced through the once silent room. It was coming from Angel’s office. Lorne who was the closest to the office got to Buffy first. She was moving her arms and legs violently, trying to fight some invisible attacker.

“It’s okay sweetcakes. It’s just a dream.” Lorne crooned soothingly. Buffy opened her eyes but still in her dream world she confused Lorne with her invisible assailant. Out of fear she pushed him away from her but she was still unaware of her Slayer powers. Her push launched him to the other side of the room. Lorne hit the wall and fell to the ground with a loud thud. Fred upon seeing this was instantly at Lorne’s side. Angel, Gunn, and Wesley went over to where Buffy was standing on the couch wild-eyed and dangerous.

Angel tried to calm her, “It’s us Buffy, you’re friends. We don’t want to hurt you. It’s okay.” But his efforts were in vain, he had lost Buffy’s trust.

She lunged from the couch to where Angel was standing, bringing him down to the ground with her. She punched, hit and kicked him with all her might and for a Slayer that was quite a lot. Angel managed to block some of her punches but took a few to the face. She was unrelenting, Angel couldn’t even touch her. But somehow he managed to pin her beneath him. She fought him but Angel was stronger and after what seemed like forever she finally quit fighting.

“Maybe we should chain her up or something.” Gunn who had gotten out of the way doing the fight came over to Angel’s side.

“Gunn!” Fred gasped in shock. With the help of Wesley, she laid an unconscious Lorne of the couch. “We can’t do that.”

“That girl is dangerous. I mean look what she did to Lorne and he was trying to help her.”

“B-but this is Buffy!”

Gunn just shrugged, “Not anymore.”

Angel looked from Fred to Gunn, Buffy still pinned beneath him. He didn’t know what to do. He looked down at Buffy. The scared girl who had burst from the amulet was no more. The frightened look she once held in those beautiful green eyes was now replaced with a look of pure hatred.

A Plane To L.A.

Giles watched from the window as the rich Italian landscape disappeared from sight. After the phone call from Angel he had immediately called the airport and booked ticket on the first flight to the US. The news of Buffy’s return had seemed unreal at first, but now that he was a flight to see her he was overwhelmed with emotion.

“Giles are you okay?” Dawn peered at him uncertainly.

“Yes, yes Dawn I’m fine. Are you?”

She smiled at him, “I’m scared, excited, nervous, happy, worried all at the same time. But I’m better then I was before.” When Giles had told Dawn she had burst into tears and sobbed into his shoulder for over an hour.

Giles patted her arm gently, “I feel the same way. But I can’t wait to see her again.”

“H-how did she get back this time?”

“Angel said something about the amulet we used at Sunnydale.”

This seemed to catch Spike’s attention. “The amulet?”

Giles was surprised to hear Spike speak. He hadn’t said a word since Giles told him the news. Then he told Spike about the tickets and left him in the training room. When Giles and Dawn were about to leave Spike was waiting at the door a small bag at his side. “Yes the amulet.”

Dawn too looked at Spike curiously, “What else did Angel say?”

“Nothing except that there was something else he needed to tell me.”

“What?”

“Well I hung before he could tell me.” Giles said sheepishly.

“Giles what if…”

But Giles waved her off, “I’m sure it was nothing important.”

T.B.C