Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you enjoy. please review!



Gathering Weapons

Buffy: The weapons are in the chest by the TV, I'll grab the stuff upstairs.

Spike: Um, Buffy?

Spike puts his hand up to the doorway, not being able to get through. Buffy looks confused.

Spike: If you just want to hand them over the threshold...

Buffy: Come in Spike.

Spike looks shocked as he passes through the door.

Spike smirks: Presto. No barrier.

They stare at each other for a short moment.

Spike: Um, we won't bother with small stuff. A couple of good axes should hold off Glory's mates, while you take on the lady yourself.

Buffy: We're not all gonna make it. You know that?

Spike: Yeah. Always knew I'd go down fightin.'

Buffy: I'm counting on you. To protect her.

Spike: Til the end of the world. Even if that happens to be tonight.

Buffy: I'll be a minute.

Spike nods and she starts up the stairs and Spike turns toward her.

Spike: I know you'll never love me. I know that I'm a monster. But you treat me like a man, and that's......Get your stuff. I'll be here.

Buffy: I know. For some reason, you're always here. Whenever I need you, whether I want you here or not, you're here. Why?

Spike: Yeah. Well, I'll always be here for you, and

Dawnie. And you know the reason why.

Buffy looks confused. Spike just shakes his head. She didn't know that yet?

Spike: I love you. I know you don't, but I still do. And I'll do everything I can to prove that to you.

Buffy: Spike...

Spike smiles at her.

Spike: Look, you don't have to say anything. Just get your stuff so we can get going.

Buffy comes down the stairs. Spike looks confused as she walks very close to him.

Buffy: Thank you. For everything.

She leans into him and gives him a small kiss on the cheek. As she turns to go back upstairs, Spike, caught up in the moment, grabs her arm and spins her back to face him very quickly. With the same speed, he places his hand behind her head and pulls her into a very passionate kiss. Thinking he went to far he pulls away rather quickly. Buffy stares at him in shock, but the real shock is Spike's as she puts her arms around his neck, pulling him back to finish the kiss.

Buffy: I'll be right back.

She walks up the stairs and Spike has a big smile on his face, thinking tonight may have changed things between them.

The Jump

Buffy: What are you doing?

Dawn: I have to jump. The energy...

Buffy: It'll kill you.

Dawn: I know. Buffy I know about the ritual. I have to stop it.

Buffy: No

Dawn: I have to! Look what's happening! Buffy, you have to let me go. Blood starts it, and until the blood stops flowing, it'll never stop. You know you have to let me. It has to have the blood.

Buffy flashes back to the Magic Box. Spike sitting on the steps to the upper level.

Spike: Because it always has to be blood.

To the hospital room after Glory's attack.

Buffy: It's Summers blood. It's just like mine.

To the Magic Box again, talking to Giles and the gang.

Buffy: She's me. The monks made her out of me.

To the desert, on her quest.

First Slayer: Death is your gift.

Buffy: Death...?

First Slayer: Is your gift.

Buffy comes back to the present. She looks out at the ocean and back at Dawn as though telling her what she's thinking. Dawn understands.

Dawn: Buffy, no!

Buffy: Dawnie I have to.

Dawn: No!!

They hear someone running up the tower. It's Spike.

Buffy: Get out of here, Spike!

Spike: What do you plan on doing up here, luv?

Buffy: I'm going to stop this.

Spike: How exactly?

Buffy: I'm going to jump.

Dawn and Spike look shocked and hurt by what she said.

Dawn: Buffy, you can't! It needs my blood!

Buffy: Dawn, the monks made your body from mine. Your blood is my blood. This is the work that I have to do. It's my job.

Spike grabs her arm and turns her to him and pulls her close.

Spike: No.

Buffy: This isn't your call, Spike. Get out of here and take Dawn with you. I don't want either of you to see this.

Spike thinks for minute and then looks at Buffy. He had a look on his face as though he had the answers to all her problems. But Buffy didn't understand.

Buffy: What?

Spike: Let me do it.

Dawn: What!

Buffy: Spike, you can't. It's got to have our blood.

He caresses her neck.

Spike: So I'll just take some of yours. Just enough for it to work. Let me do this. I can do it.

Buffy: No. This isn't your job. It's mine. Don't try to play hero on me now.

Spike: There's nothing here for me, not if you leave. You have to stay and look after your little sis, your friends, this whole sodding world. Let me do this for you, luv.

Buffy: Spike, I understand what you’re doing. This is what you're going to do to prove that you....

Spike: No. I'm not trying to prove anything. (Pointing between Dawn and himself) But we can't live in this world without you, Buffy.

Dawn: He's right. But I don't want to lose either of you.

Spike: Sorry, Niblet, but one of us is going to jump and I'll be damned if it's going to be either of you.

Buffy: I am not going to let you do this.

Spike: If you jump, I'll go right in there with you. So either way I'm going. One way will save your life, the other will end both of ours.

Buffy: I can't!

Dawn: What do you mean?

Buffy: I can't let you Spike.

Spike: Why?

Buffy: Because I'm in love with you!

Spike and Dawn are shocked by her outburst. Spike had waited so long to hear those words but he had a hard time believing they were true. Why did she have to pick now to say it?

Spike: What?

Buffy: I can't lose another person that I love. If you jump, I won’t be able to handle it.

He walks up to her and grabs her shoulders gently, forcing her to look at him.

Spike: Yes, you will. You're a powerful woman, Summers. You can deal with just about anything.

Buffy: Not this.

Dawn: Don't mean to break up this up, but the energy is getting bigger and there are demons all over town.

Spike: Come on, Buffy. You know you're still needed in this blood world. Let me do this.

He takes her in his arms and gives her a loving hug. He gently strokes her hair with one hand. She was trying not to cry but it wasn't working. Being in his arms felt so right and she held on for as long as she could, knowing she was about to lose him. She started to sob quietly.

Buffy: No, I can't let you.

Spike: It's the only way.

They look at each other and tears are running down both of their faces. Buffy is sobbing uncontrollably now that she looked in his eyes. She didn't want this to happen, not now.

Spike: You know I'll always love you.

As they share a passionate kiss, the tower starts to shake. Dawn watches as they kiss, and worries about what is going to happen next. She knew she was about to lose someone she loved. Spike and Buffy separate from their kiss and stare at each other, both still crying.

Buffy: I'm gonna miss you, so much.

Spike: I'll miss you to, Buffy. I love you.

Buffy tilts her head as an offering for Spike to carry out his plan. He winces as he changes and lowers his head to her neck. The thought of tasting her now sickened him, especially after she just said she loved him. Buffy knew what she was about to do was going to kill him, and it was killing her to do it. Right as he is about to bite her...

Buffy: I love you, too. Take care of Dawn for me.

She places a quick kiss on his cheek and before he has a chance to respond, she pushes him off the tower.

Spike: Buffy!! No!!

Dawn: Buffy! What did you do that for?

Buffy: It's for the best, Dawnie. He'll be ok......from the fall anyway.

She takes Dawn into her arms and tells her something. After she gives her sister a last kiss on the cheek, she turns, runs and jumps off the tower. Dawn watches in horror as Buffy screams in pain from the energy. All Dawn can hear is her sisters finally words replaying in her mind as she descends the tower. Tears of shock and sadness fall from her eyes as she looks around and sees all her friends' reactions when they realize what must have happened up there. Buffy's body lies motionless on top of a stack of broken grates.

Spike takes it the hardest as he lets his tears fall and puts his head in his hands, sobbing for the lost love he had only just found. He finally had her love, and now she was gone. She loved him, and now she's gone.

Buffy: Dawn listen to me, listen, there's not a lot of time. I love you. I will always love you. This is the work that I have to do. Tell Giles that...tell Giles that I figured it out, and, and I'm ok. And give my love to my friends. You have to take care of them now. You have to take care of each other. You have to be strong. I need you to keep an eye on Spike, too. Don't let him blame himself for this, and don't let him hurt himself. Dawn, the hardest thing in this world, is to live in it. Be brave...live...for me.

the end