Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like!



Buffy was asleep in a small hotel room in Cleveland. The gang had decided it was best to leave California altogether. There was to much there to remind them of everything they had lost. It appeard that she was dreaming, and it didn't look like a good dream. She hadn't slept well since...since that day he left her. Suddenly she jumped up out of her sleep. It looked like she was crying and out of breath, drenched in a cold sweat. She only said one thing.

Buffy: It can't be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel, Gunn, Fred, Wesley, and Lorne pached up the last of their things and were heading out the door. Over the past few weeks, they had turned Wolfram & Hart's LA branch into the new and improved Angel Investigations. Now it was time to finally say good bye to the Hyperion.

Angel: I guess it's time to say good bye to this old place.

He grabed his last box of office supplies.

Gunn: Yeah, too bad, man. I really liked this pad.

He came inside from pacing away his last things in the moving truck.

Fred was sitting on the couch in the lobby.

Fred: I know. It's so much more homey then the Wolfram & Hart offices.

Lorne looked at her from behind the counter.

Lorne: You're telling me, pumpkin. Place gives me the wiggins.

Angel tried to be optimistic about the situation.

Angel: Yeah, but the offices will help us with our mission. We will have unlimited resources and a staff specialized in demon activity. It's for the best.

Wesley nodded.

Wes: I agree. Shall we go then?"

He lifted his last bag over his shoulder to bring to the truck that was going to bring their things to the office.

Angel agreed.

Angel: Yeah. Let's go.

The group gathered the rest of their belongings and head out the doors.

When the final bags and boxes were loaded, the truck drove away toward Wolfram & Hart. Everyone but Angel heads to the limo waiting for them while Angel stands at the doors. He takes one last look as he closes the doors to the hotel.

Right before the doors close completely, a bright light flashes through them, but Angel does not see it. He continues to walk away until he hears a faint noise from inside, a noise that sounded like something crashing into the floor.

Inside the hotel, a figure lays on it's stomach. It's the body of a man dressed in a ll black. His hair is short and very...blonde.

Angel was shocked.

Angel: What the..?

He calls to the group in the limo.

Angel: Hey guys, come here a sec.

Everybody gets back out of the limo and rushes over to Angel.

Wesley is the first to question him.

Wes: What's the matter, Angel? You're not have second thoughts are you??

Angel quickly answers, still unsure of what he had heard.

Angel: No it's nothing like that. I just heard a noise from inside.

Gunn stated the obvious.

Gunn: It's probably just this old place making old building sounds. It's probably nothing, man.

Angel still wasn't sure.

Angel: Let's just check it out. It sounded more like something hitting the floor.

Everyone but Angel looks skeptical but they follow him in anyway. When they get inside, they see the figure of the man laying on the floor.

Fred seemed shocked.

Fred: Oh my Goodness!

Gunn came in behind her

Gunn: Is that a body?

Angel knew exactly who, or should he say, what it was.

Angel: Yeah...It's Spike.

Wesley didn't seem to believe him.

Wes: Are you sure it's Spike? Didn't our sources say he died in the battle with the First in Sunnydale?

Angel looked pissed, and didn't sound very happy to see his grandchilde at all.

Angel: Yes, but...it wouldn't be the first time a vampire came back from the dead...again...after dieing on the Hellmouth. I did it too, remember?

Gunn was getting confused. What the Hell was he talking about?

Gunn: Huh?

Angel wasn't in the mood to go over his past while Spike lay there on the floor of the place he was trying to leave behind.

Angel: Never mind. As much as I can't stand him...ok, hate him...we should help him. He is family...unfortunatly.

Angel bent down and picked up Spike and threw him over his shoulder.

Wesley was the voice of reason.

Wes: Should we contact Buffy?

Angel stopped to think about that one. Then, he actually did something right.

Angel: I think we should let Spike decide that. Let's get him back to the office.

Gunn didn't think that was such a good plan.

Gunn: Do you think that's good idea? With all the freaky scientists and demon specialists there. Don't you think they'll want to play with him for a while? See how he came back?

Angel continued out the door with Spike over his shoulder.

Angel: I'm in charge of what goes on there now. Remember, it's no longer Wolfram & Hart, it's Angel Investigations now. They wont touch him unless I say so. Now help me get him into the limo. He's coming with us.

With that the gang headed out to the limo once again, unaware of the visitors heading their way in the morning.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Angel's office, he is pacing next to the windows with the shade drawn, in the middle of day. He still hasn't completely gotten used to being able to look out at a sunny day. On the couch on the side of the room, Spike lays there still unconciouse from the night before.

Angel looked at Spike as though he was the most inconvienent thing to drop in on him, especially when there other more important people who needed his attention.

Angel: God are you ever going to wake up?

Little did he know, the sleeping form on his couch was already awake.

Spike opened his eyes and took in his surroundings before saying anything.

Spike: Sorry mate. Guess I got used to sleeping at night.

Angel looked ready to drive a stake through his heart.

Angel: So, you are awake?

Spike sat up to answer his grandsire.

Spike: Just woke up hearing you complain about me. Never get tired of that do you, Peaches. So I'd wager this your new stomping grounds, eh?

Angel: Yeah. Look don't get comfy. You're only here so...

Spike: So you can figure out why I'm here, int that right?

He interrupted Angel before he could finish what he was saying.

Angel: Yeah. Last I heard you died in the battle in Sunnydale.

Spike jumped at the mention of Sunnydale. His home. Their home.

Spike: You've heard from Buffy? Did everyone make it out? Are they alright? Have you seen them?

Spike questions were coming a mile a minute and Angel couldn't keep up.

Angel: Whoa, take it easy. No, I didn't hear from them.

He walked over to his desk to sit in his nice comfy chair.

Spike had to know how Angel knew about what happened during the fight and what happened to a particular blonde.

Spike: Then, how?

Angel spread his arms out as if to show off something.

Angel: The new stomping grounds, as you put it. Highly trained demon specialists and information gatherers. They were able to get info pretty quickly about the happenings in Sunnydale.

He sounded so smug about his new little business and it make Spike sick.

He had to know.

Spike: So you haven't heard from her?

Angel: No.

And it was the only information Angel seemed willing to give. So Spike pryed for a little info then that.

Spike: Did you happen to look into seeing if they made it out alive!?

He was furious that this was the guy Buffy had measured him up to for so long and he didn't even look interested in her servival.

Angel didn't think he owed anything to Spike. Much less anything about Buffy.

Angel: I'm sure they're fine.

Spike was furious.

Spike: Well you bloody well better find out for sure!

It looked like the conversation just raised a few octaves.

Angel: Hey! Don't think I don't care about what happened there, but I've had alot of things to worry about right here! The woman I...Cordy has been in a coma for over three months now! I've had to take charge of an entire law firm branch and now you enter the picture. Sorry if I didn't have time to check up on my ex!!

Spike settled down at that little give in Angels voice. Something about the woman he...Oh yeah? No wonder he didn't care about what happened to Buffy.

Spike: So you're in love with the cheerleader, eh?

Angel tried to play dumb.

Angel: What?

Spike just laughed at the poof. Can't play dumb, Peaches, your'e already as stupid as they come.

Spike: 'The woman I...'"

He teased.

Spike: Please. You know I'm right.

Angel was determined to change the subject.

Angel: We're not here to talk about me.

Spike: Fine. Whatever. I'll just stay here for a while till night falls then...why aren't we a couple piles of dust right now?

Angel: What?

Spike points to the open windows with a look of confusion on his face.

Angel: Oh. Special glass. It's all over the building.

Spike: Oh. Looks nice out there.

Angel: Yeah.

Spike: Anyway, like I was saying. I'll wait a few hours an' head back to Sunnydale to see if everything...

Angel: You can't

Spike: Why the bloody hell not!? i'm not atying here so your chums can pick me apart and see how I tick.

Angel: I mean you can't go back to Sunnydale. There's no Sunnydale to go back to .

Spike: What are you talking about?

Angel: You destroyed the whole town when you sealed the Hellmouth.

Spike: Oh. I did all that, eh?

Angel: Yeah.

Spike: That was some amulet you gave the Slayer. Did the job nicely.

Angel: If you want, I can track down Buffy so you can...

Spike: No!

Angel: I thought you wanted to see her?

Spike: No. I don't.

Angel: But you just said you wanted to go back to Sunnydale.

Spike: Just to check. Make sure everyone was safe.
The last thing I want is for Buffy to know that I'm...

Before he finished his sentance a voice came from the door behind him.

Buffy: Spike?

Spike: ...back.

tbc...