Author's Chapter Notes:
I decided to put this one in here again. I never did get to finish it. If you've read it before, well it never hurts to review again. If you haven't, then I hope you would like it. It's a pretty short story, only about 8 chapters long. I changed a bit also. This would be an alternate 6th season where Buffy never died. She's a much nicer Buffy. Any comments would really be appreciated=)
Chapter 1

Dawn was walking home from her friend’s house. She took a short cut through the cemetery and knew that Buffy would yell at her for that later, but she was already late enough as it is. She was humming to herself, when she heard a loud growl and knew that it had to be a demon. She tried not to be afraid as she ran to where the sound was. What she saw was a huge, green demon standing over someone that was lying on the ground. Dawn hoped the demon wouldn’t notice her and moved closer to get a better look at the person that seemed to be unconscious. It was then that she recognized him. She would know that bleached head anywhere. The demon finally sensed her and moved his yellow eyes on her. Dawn was frozen in fear, until the demon then turned and ran in the other direction. She sighed in relief and ran over to Spike’s side. She kneeled down next to him and tried to shake him awake.

“Spike, come on. You have to get up. You’re not gonna let some demon beat you. You’re stronger than that,” she said and continued to shake him.

He finally moved and let out a groan.

Dawn felt relieved again.

Spike’s eyes opened to stare right at her. He then sat up with a start and moved away from her.

Dawn didn’t understand what was wrong and why he looked confused.

He glanced around at his surroundings for a few seconds, then rested his eyes back on her.

“Spike, are you okay?” she asked in a shaky voice.

Spike raised his eyebrows at her question. “Who’s Spike?”

Dawn raised her eyebrows this time, but he wasn’t finished with his questions.

“Who are you?”

Dawn figured he hit his head or something. “You don’t know who you are? You don’t even know who I am?” she wondered with the confusion evident in her voice.

“No, should I?”

Dawn ran her fingers through her hair, then thought of something else. “Do you know who Buffy is?”

Spike shook his head again. “No, is that actually a person’s name?” he sounded amused.

Dawn grew even more worried. It had to be serious if Spike didn’t even know who her sister was. “Okay, I think that demon seriously messed with your head or something. We need to get out of here,” she explained and then stood up. She grabbed his hand and pulled him up also. She let him go once they were standing.

“Demon? Are you sure I’m the one with the messed up head?” he asked her.

Dawn rolled her eyes. “Trust me, something isn’t right. You can’t just forget everything in one day. Your name is, Spike. I’m Dawn and we’re friends. You’re kinda like a big brother to me.”

Spike took in what she said. “Is that why I feel protective of you and worry that you’re out this late?”

Dawn smiled at him. “Yeah, that would be why.”

“So, how old are you?” he wondered as they started to walk out of the cemetery.

“I’m fifteen; I can handle being out this late. My sister on the other hand is gonna kill me, so we really have to go. She could probably help you.” Dawn explained and grabbed his hand again, leading him toward her house.

“There are two of you? Should I be worried?” he replied.

Dawn had to laugh at that. “I think you’ll be fine. I’m positive you’ll like Buffy.”

Spike nodded and again wondered who would name their child Buffy. He couldn’t really argue about that. His name wasn’t so great either.


* * * * *


Dawn walked through the front door to see that the lights were still on, which meant that Buffy was up. She pulled Spike into the kitchen and stopped when she noticed that Buffy was in there, drinking a cup of hot chocolate. She was already in her pajamas and she didn’t look happy.

“I hope you realize what time it is,” she said.

Dawn sighed and pulled Spike further into the kitchen.

He seemed really shy all of a sudden.

She realized why that was when she caught the way he was staring at her sister.

Buffy got up and rinsed her cup out in the sink. She then turned back to them and frowned at the expression Spike was giving her. “Why are you looking at me like that? I was just about to go to bed; of course I would look like crap. You don’t have to stare.”

Spike still couldn’t take his eyes off of Buffy. “Beautiful,” he whispered.

Both girls raised their eyebrows at him.

He then noticed the looks and shook his head to clear his thoughts. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to stare,” he said and tried to look away. He found it hard to take his eyes off of the vision in front of him.

Buffy was confused and looked at both of them. “Okay, what’s with him?” she asked her sister.

Dawn took a deep breath. “It’s a long story.”

“I lost my memory.”

They both looked at him.

“Apparently not that long.” Dawn said.

Buffy was even more confused now. “You lost your memory? How did that happen?”

Spike shrugged.

Dawn decided to speak for him. “I found him unconscious in the cemetery. There was this big guy over him and I guess he must have hit his head pretty hard.”

Buffy took in what Dawn said and knew there had to be more to it than that. “Well, I’m sure it’s only temporary. You could stay here until it passes. Why don’t you wait for me upstairs?” she said.

Spike nodded and walked away.

Buffy waited until he was far enough away to speak to Dawn. “What really happened?”

“He was attacked by a demon. I didn’t see much, just this really creepy demon over his body. I figured I shouldn’t say that in front of Spike. I wouldn’t wanna freak him out. He doesn’t know about demons. It probably won’t be easy telling him that he technically is one.”

Buffy sighed and rubbed her eyes. “That won’t be a fun conversation. He has to know the truth though. There’s no telling how long this would last. We need to find out more about that demon,” she explained.

Dawn nodded in agreement. “So, lots of researching tomorrow?”

Buffy nodded as well. “Yeah, lots of fun,” she stated sarcastically and looked at her younger sister to see the worried expression on her face. Buffy ran her fingers through Dawn’s hair like she always used to do whenever the younger girl was upset. “He’ll be okay, Dawny. We’ll figure this out. Right now, you need to get to bed. We’ll talk more tomorrow.”

Dawn nodded again and knew that she would probably get a lecture tomorrow about coming home late. She then turned and went upstairs.

Buffy waited a few minutes and then also went upstairs. She found Spike about to go into the restroom and suddenly panicked. She grabbed his arm to pull him away. “You don’t wanna go in there. It’s not working right now. If you flush the toilet, there’s no telling what could happen. It won’t be pretty.” She thought of the quickest thing she could. She didn’t think Spike was ready to see that he didn’t have a reflection.

Spike only smiled at the gorgeous blonde. “I just wanted to see if I have a bump on my head from when I fell.”

Buffy nodded and pulled him into her room, closing the door behind them. “I can check that for you,” she said and then pulled him down on her bed. She sat down next to him and ran her fingers through his hair.

Spike closed his eyes at the feel of her touching him.

Buffy shook her head and pulled her hands away. “Nope, looks good to me. That hard head of yours doesn’t bruise easily,” she told him with a smile.

He returned it. She was incredibly beautiful when she smiled.

Buffy got lost in his eyes for a moment and then stood up quickly. “Okay, sleeping arrangements. I guess you could stay in here. I’ll sleep in my mom’s room.”

Spike didn’t feel right about taking her room. “Where is your mother?” he asked her.

Buffy felt tears in her eyes, but she quickly shook them away. “She’s not around anymore.”

Spike felt bad for asking. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

She gave him a small smile. “It’s not your fault. You should probably get some sleep. I’ll tell you more about your life tomorrow,” she explained and knew that she would have to tell him everything, but that could wait.

Spike nodded and watched as she fixed up the bed for him. She seemed nervous and he didn’t understand why.

“There, hope it’s good enough for you.” she told him when she finished.

He gave her another smile. “It’s perfect, thank you.”

Buffy nodded and wasn’t really used to him being so polite, but she liked it. She then thought of something else that she forgot to do. She grabbed a blanket out of the closet and placed it over the window to keep the sun out in the morning. She turned back to Spike to catch him staring at her, with a puzzled expression on his face. She gave him a smile. “You hate the sun.”

He raised his eyebrows at her.

“I mean, you’re not much of a morning person. You get all grouchy when the sun wakes you up in the morning, so I figured I would make it better for you,” she explained and hoped that he believed her.

“Thanks for that,” he replied.

Buffy sighed in relief. She then caught the look on his face before he turned away from her. “It’s scary, isn’t it?” she asked abruptly.

Spike looked back at her, not sure what she was talking about.

“Suddenly waking up one day and not knowing who you are, or who anyone around you is? It must be scary.”

“Yeah, I just wish I could remember.”

Buffy nodded again and took his hand in hers. She gave it a squeeze to comfort him. “Everything’s going to be okay. All you have to do is trust me,” she told him.

Spike smiled at her. “I trust you.”

Buffy graced him with one more smile of her own. She then left the room and closed the door behind her. She would have a lot to explain later. She just hoped it would go well.