Author's Chapter Notes:
I was doing drabble requests on my LJ and realised that it's a good way to get fic ideas...so if you have any fics ideas, leave them for me in a review--I can't promise when/if I'll be able to write them, but I will try.

Going to try to post a new story next week--one that involves a drunk feeling James Marsters--and yes I do mean James Marsters, not Spike...it's Spuffy though
Chapter Ten

As they finished the Italian food that he had picked up from the restaurant where they had had their first date, William knew he couldn't wait any longer.

"Buffy, you know how we were talking about all the things we missed about each other over the summer?"

"Yeah…" she said, unsurely.

"And how I love you and know you'd never hurt me and would never hurt you?"

"Uh huh."

"Well, I kind of broached this with my dad before I left for the summer, but after I got back…Buffy I hated this summer. It was horrible, missed you so much. I wasn't kidding when I said that I was constantly wishing you were there, that I could talk to you, that I could kiss you…just that you were there.

I would have been able to put up with it all, if only you'd been there.

And when I came back and heard everything Angel was trying to pass off as truth…

Buffy, I've known you for a year and a half now, think I've loved you every single one of those days…and then I had to be gone for nearly a quarter of a year and my feelings didn't change one bit.

And I know they're never going to…I can be apart from you for months at a time and all that happens is I miss you more and fall more in love with you when we're back together. All that and the fact that I saw how miserable Patrick is without having anyone in his life that he really loves…my mom and dad—Rupert—the really, truly loved each other.

So, I can officially say now, that I've seen what can happen if you don't have honest, true love in your life and what can happen if you do.

I don't want to lose you, luv. Don't ever want to be apart from you like we were this summer.

Guess what I'm trying to say, luv, is well…Will you marry me Buffy?"

After sitting in shocked silence for a minute, Buffy managed to utter, "But we're still in high school."

"I know and I know that it might be kind of young…but you can't control when you find the one person you're supposed to be with…and I just, I don't want to wait on this. But if you need to…I…I understand." It was killing him for her to be this unsure of it, of them.

"It's not that I don't…I just don't want you to…what if you don't want me in a year? In ten years?"

"I'm never going to not want you, I'm sure of that now. And I have given this thought, pet. I talked to my dad about this, this morning—'s why I was a little later to school than planned. I was going to wait until Friday or Saturday to ask you, was going to plan it all out. But I knew in the end, that I was going to say the same thing then as I would tonight and I just couldn't wait. So that's why I want to know if you'll marry me, pet." Not waiting for another reaction from her, he continued, "I need to go get something, you…you think about things and I'll be back in just a minute."

As he raced up the stairs, Buffy sat quietly on the living room floor. He wanted to marry her.

William wanted to marry her.

Really marry her, as in 'walk down the aisle of a church, live together and raise their kids' marry, not just some abstract 'I want to marry you someday' thing. She knew they wouldn't be the only ones getting married during or right after high school, Ford and his fiancé were getting married over Christmas and they were actually a few months younger than she and William.

She hadn't had a problem when she'd heard about them getting married, had been ecstatically happy for them in fact. Their age had never been an issue for her.

So, why was she having a problem now?

She thought she knew the answer. But it was a stupid one.

Her parents had gotten married young, during their first year of college and he'd used that as his excuse for their divorce, her father had. He resented her mother for tying him down so early—that's what he said.

She didn't want that to happen to Spike.

Buffy loved him too much to ever have him hate her and if that meant waiting several years for them to get married, then…

"I want you to have this," William said as he came into the room. Sitting down next to her again, barely a breath away, he held out his hand…

"Isn't that your mom's ring?" Buffy asked in awe, she'd seen it in enough pictures to recognize it.

"Yeah…I know we don't have the best examples of happy marriages around us, but my mum and dad…they were happy Buffy. They really did love each other…and I want something like this," he indicated the ring, "To start our marriage on…want you to know I'm serious about this."

"William," she began hesitantly, "I've told you about my mom and dad right—why he says they got divorced?"

"Buffy, that was just the pillock's way of trying not to sound like a coward. He fucked up. He cheated on your mum because he was a weak man who wasn't good for her. But because of who or how he is, he couldn't take responsibility for the way things ended. Their marriage would have ended no matter when they got married…just like ours won't, no matter when we get m married. I love you, sweetheart and that's never, ever going to happen."

"Do you really think that? Do you really believe that if we get married, let's say after graduation, that you will honestly never hate me? That when we're forty and have four kids, you'll still love me like you do now."

"I'll love you a million times more," he insisted with such conviction that Buffy—God help her—she believed him.

"Think you could put that ring on for me?" Buffy asked with a coy smile.

"You mean…?" he didn't dare assume…but could she possibly?

"William Marcus Giles, I would love to marry you. I'm sorry for making you wait so long, I just…I have my issues and I love you so much I didn't want us to have any…issues."

"And we won't," he assured her, adding a kiss out of sheer bliss.

"We're getting married," Buffy said as she looked at the beautiful diamond ring on her finger. "We're getting married!" she repeated a little more loudly before jumping on William and knocking him to the floor. "How about we, my beautiful fiancé, go finish what we started at school?"

"I like the way you think," he ignored Buffy's giggle as he picked her up and hooked her legs around his waist, carrying her upstairs—instead intent on getting upstairs to make love to her for the first time.



THE END




and thank you so much for all of the reviews...hope you'll review this chapter, too