Author's Chapter Notes:
I posted the first chapter of my new fic Silently Broken yesterday and since it seem to be doing so well (thank you times ten million for all the reviews), I'm going to post it twice a week if at all possible.

This next week will be nuts for me as we get ready to go out of the country, but i"m going to try my best to update that one again on Saturday--hppe you all will like that.

And (based on reviews) it seems as if you didn't like the second chapter of this one as much as the first, I hope that you like Chapter Three.

I'll go work on my new fics now :-)

And thanks to Panta_rei for beta'ing this one as well
Chapter Three

June 23


"Buffy, hey, it's Angel. I was-" she hung up before he could even really get started. "So," Buffy said to herself, "Obviously, he didn't decide to give up. Yay!"


*(*(*(**)*)*)*


July 29

The rest of the summer passed in much the same fashion, Angel would call Buffy every night around seven or eight o'clock to ask her out for the next night. And on those few nights that he didn't call? Well, those were the nights when he decided to come over instead, not making it past Joyce if she was home.

"Giles! I'm so glad you agreed to come to dinner." Buffy greeted as opened the door to him, "I was worried that since William is out of town, you'd want to avoid me as much as possible," Buffy said it in a joking tone, but she had been worried about just that, so she'd had her mother call earlier in the week to ask the man to dinner. With William gone all summer Buffy hadn't seen Giles these past few moths, save the few times they ran into each other in town.

"Oh, Buffy dear, of course I came. You know I think of you like a daughter and I've hardly seen you or Joyce since William left." Buffy wasn't oblivious to the way he mentioned not having seen her mother. Joyce and Giles both acted like parents to William and Buffy

'-But not so that it's like incest or anything,' Buffy thought with a grimace. She was relieved of her oh-so-not-pleasant thoughts by the sound of Giles greeting her mother.

"Hello, Joyce, it's so nice to see you again. How have you been? Oh and how's the gallery?" Buffy could barely hold in a giggle at the way the two adults always tried to act so formal around their children. As if Buffy and William didn't know that as soon as they were off to college, their parent would start to, at the very least, date.

"I'm fine Rupert and yes it is very nice to see you again—especially after such a long time. The gallery's doing very well, you should stop by someday. Please, let's go into the living room, there's still a few minutes before dinner's ready."
After they'd rounded the corner and sat down, Giles suddenly remembered something, "Oh, dear—I nearly forgot," he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small piece of paper, "I found this in I book I purchase the other day. It seems to be some sort of small painting, I know it's not worth anything, but I just thought…" he stumbled a bit, "Um, well I guess I just thought that you might like it Joyce."

"Oh, Rupert, it's beaut-"
"I think I'm going to go check on dinner." Buffy knew she'd interrupted her mother and that it was rude, but she needed to get out of the room.

Buffy got up and headed for the kitchen, ignoring the strange looks she was getting from her mother and Giles. It wasn't that she wasn't happy for her mother, happy that she had such a sweet and thoughtful near-boyfriend (that's what she William had taken to describing their parent's relationship as, near-boyfriend and near-girlfriend since they weren't quite there, yet). No, Buffy, couldn't be happier for her mother, it was just that she missed her sweet and thoughtful boyfriend who was actually very far at the moment.

"Might as well check on dinner, since that's what I said I was going to do," she mumbled.

Joyce came into the kitchen to find her daughter rifling through drawers muttering something about, "goddamn oven mitts."

"Other side of the sink," she said, smiling when Buffy jumped slightly before turning around to face her, her face slightly red. Joyce knew exactly why and decided she could use it to her advantage, "How about you tell me what that sudden exit was about and I'll let that little bit of colorful language slip?"

As Buffy prepared to tell her mother what had happened, she realized how silly and selfish it sounded, "Or you could yell at me for the language and I could not tell you?"

Joyce just looked at her.


"It's just, well it's stupid," as she was that her mother wasn't going to give her an out, Buffy continued reluctantly, "Giles was being so sweet and nice to you and he gave you a present and everything. And well, it just—after everything with Angel—made me really miss William." Buffy was in tears by the time she finished, "I'm sorry."

"Oh, honey, he'll be home soon. Letting get to you isn't going to do you any good, so let's just try to have a nice dinner. Then you'll be a few hours closer to William coming home, okay?" Joyce knew pulling William in wasn't exactly fair, but it would work.

"Yeah, and I'm sorry about getting so upset, I guess I've been letting stuff get to me more than I realized and more than I should, sorry."

Rupert came into the kitchen then, a curious yet concerned look on his face, "Is everything alright? Because if you two need some time alone, we can always do dinner some other night…" Buffy could tell from the way he trailed off that he didn't really want to go home. She also knew that he would, though, because he always wanted to make sure she and her mother were okay.

"No," Buffy quickly assured him, "I was just being silly about some stuff, nothing that matters, and hey, all done now. So, really you should stay, sorry for being a drama queen there." Buffy smiled at the older man, hoping he wouldn't inquire into what had been wrong.

"As long as everything's alright and I wouldn't be intruding," at Buffy's hasty nod and grin he
continued, "Very well. Is dinner ready?"


(((((((()))))))))



TBC.......Please Review :-)


And also, please go read my new story (it's my first really NC-17 one so I'm eager to know what everyone thinks of it :-) : Silently Broken