Chapter Eight


Now he was the one looking confused—and just a little bit suspicious. "What do you mean didn't he tell me? Tell me what?"

"We have next period together, ninth too…we have first, third, fifth—obviously—and seventh and ninth together."

"Right," he said disbelievingly. "What'd you do? Bribe somebody in the attendance office so they'd mess with the schedules? That Riley bloke? He was starting to sound a little angry.

"Quit being jealous of him. I don't even like him."

"Well why are you always flirting with him?"

"'Always'? God, did you get stupid over the summer? And what's with this jealousy thing…I only flirted with him once. And that was to get you out of detention you big oaf. I talked him into giving me the slip that was going to tell the principal Ms. Roberts was giving you detention. Saved you from getting suspended!"

"Fine! Why don't you walk to class, I'll meet you there in a few," he told her angrily.

"No, you're not if you even say anything to Angel, you're waiting 'til ninth period. If you go now, you're either going to pull him out of class or you're going to go into his class and deck him---either one will get you detention or suspended. And then I'll have to go flirt with Riley again to save you ass," she stated matter of factly.

"You'd better not," he threatened. "'Nd what's with him any way? Right creepy it is, old man like him chatting up young girls."

"Well first off he's not old, he's twenty-four," She carried on before he could refute that, "Remember how about, oh ten minutes ago you were about ready to have sex with me against the lockers?" He at least had the decency to look a little ashamed by that. "Now either you're going insane or you've turned into some jealousy driven creep over the summer."

"Buffy, I—"he started to explain when he realized what he'd been doing.

"I know," she reassured him "Just needed you to realize it. But you think that from now on you could stay angry with Angel and not get mad at me just because I'm the only one around?"

"I'll try. You yell at me if I start to again, I don't want to be mean to you, really don't. Love you so much, kitten—love how well you know me, too."

"And my sappy boyfriend is back," Buffy joked, leaning over to give him a quick peck on the lips.

"Aren't you cute," Spike joked.

"Yeah, actually I kinda think I might be."

"Come on you, let's get you to class."

"William?" Buffy asked, several feet down the hallway, "Are you okay? I mean tings with your dad, how bad were they?"

"Weren't so good," he admitted truthfully. "Okay if we don't' talk about it now?"

"It's fine, but know I'm going to talk to you about it later, okay?"

"Sure, but let's get to class now."

They didn't talk about it again as they made their way through the next two periods. Buffy was worried about what William was going to do during eighth period, with her halfway across the school. But she knew she had to trust him.

"Please," was all she said as she hugged him before they went their separate ways to their penultimate class.

Despite trusting him completely, Buffy still worried about Spike during her Spanish class.

As soon as the bell rang she quickly made her way to the gym locker room and got changed into her gym uniform before rushing out to the field. She didn't want Angel to goad Spike into something.

(*(*(*(*(*)*)*)*)*)

"Oh joy!" Not only had Angel found William, or William found—not only had Angel and Spike found each other, but they looked about ready to-

"William, hey," Buffy ran over and held onto his arm, looking for all the world like an overly clingy girlfriend when she was really just trying to stop him from hitting Angel. Not that she minded hanging onto his arm, mind you, it was a nice arm after all.


Three Minutes Prior


"Looks like Willy boy's back," Angel said as he saw William come onto the field.

'Obviously still thinks he's gonna steal my girl,' Spike thought.

"Sorry you had to lose your girl over the summer. Must be hard for you to come back to that," Angel didn't sound sorry in the least.

"Would you shut your gob already, you ponce? I know nothing happened between you and Buffy and I'd 'ppreciate it if you'd stop trying to sully my girl's good name."

"Look at you, trying to act like you're protecting your ex-girlfriend's reputation, when really you're trying to convince yourself she's still yours. Well I can tell you, she's not." Angel was stubborn and hopeful to a fault.

"Buffy's still my girl. Always has been," he started to say more, but it was at that moment that Buffy came running over and grabbed onto his arm that had been about to slug Angel.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Buffy asked. "Over there," she carefully pulled him over to the bleachers. "Don't get in a fight with him, please Spike. I finally have you home, I don't want to have to get myself detention just to spend time with you."

"But, princess, he's telling everyone who will listen that you were cheating on me all summer…screwing around with him. I can't let him get away with that."

"Giving him a black eye or knocking him out isn't the only way to 'beat' him you know."

Noticing the glint in her eye and the smile on her lips, William knew exactly what Buffy was implying. "Then by all means, let's get back to the bastard. Give him his just deserts and all that rot."

Finally looking forward to something other than inflicting physical pain on the moron, Spike slowly made his way—with his girl—back to the small group that had gathered to see the impending fight.

"Right then, back to what I was saying. Buffy's still my girl. Always has been, always will be."

"You don't know that," Angel interrupted. "Some day she'll be mine."

"'Fraid that's where you're wrong mate," William turned to Buffy and slowly took her arms and put them around his neck before resting his hands on her hips. Slowly, deliberately he made eye contact with Angel before leaning down to capture Buffy's lips with his.

He made sure to keep it light and sweet, wouldn't do to ruin Buffy's reputation while trying to protect it.

It was light and sweet, sure, but by no means was it short. After what felt like seconds to only them, but in reality was probably more like a minute or two, Angel stormed off with a huff, muttering something about, "You keep her. She's too much trouble anyway."

Even with their audience gone though, Buffy and Spike didn't break away from each other. The kiss had started as a way to get back at Angel, to prove to him that he had no chance with her—but once they'd gotten into it? Well, once they'd gotten into it, all their longing and separation over the summer, pulled them to each other.

Buffy knew she should have been mad about the possessiveness of William's actions, but she just couldn't find it in her. She wanted his possessiveness right now, wanted to feel how much he loved her, how important she was to him, and know that he wasn't ever going to let her go.

In fact they didn't stop the kiss until the gym teacher came over and tapped William on the shoulder, telling him that they needed to join the rest of class in listening to the new P.E. policies for the year.

**(*(*(*(*(*)*)*)*)*)**