Author's Chapter Notes:
Gift request for facingthesun!
Brighter than the Sun




“Welcome to the Sunnydale Diamond Beach Resort. My name is Willow, and I will be happy to assist you in anything you need to make your stay most pleasant.”


Spike had to smile at the perky redhead. Normally a line like that would’ve been met with some type of innuendo on his part, but the sweet face and innocent expression that greeted him had him easily biting back the retort. “Thanks, pet,” he said, setting his luggage down on the floor and reaching for his wallet. “Here to check in. William McAllister with the medical conference.”


“Very well, Mr. McAllister,” she replied, already typing his name into the computer. “It appears that you will be in one of our VIP suites,” she continued, her fingers still typing with blinding speed, causing him to raise an eyebrow as she continued to tell him what he could expect from his stay. No doubt about it, this woman definitely knew her job and knew it well.


He gave her a grateful smile as he was handed the cardkey to his room, wanting to be able to get some rest before the first monotonous conference started later that night.


“Okay, Wills, I’m off to take advantage of some fun in the sun. Thanks for working for me today.”


Turning around at the sound of the voice, Spike didn’t hear the redhead’s response, his eyes fixated on the blonde who’d just walked out of the office behind the reception desk, wearing a pair of cut-off shorts and an open, button-down shirt that allowed her a tiny bit of modesty but immediately drew his eyes to the white bikini beneath.


He watched as she tossed her long blonde hair over her shoulder, grabbing a bag and slinging it over her shoulder as she walked out from behind the desk. Catching Spike’s eye, the blonde flashed him a smile, eyeing him as appreciatively as he was her, before turning and walking toward the back door of the hotel that opened on the beach.


Shamelessly following after her, Spike easily stepped in front of her, seeing her practically jump back in surprise. “Think you can help me, pet?” he asked with an easy smile.


“I’m off the clock,” she replied, an amused sparkle in her eye as she watched him.


“All the better for me,” he said in a husky voice, noticing the effect he was having on her as she shivered slightly.


“I’m sure Willow will be more than happy to help you,” she said, walking around him and pushing open the door.


“At least tell me your name,” he said with an easy smile, seeing her turn around and watch him for a moment.


“Buffy.”


“Buffy…?” he waited, hoping to get a last name.


“None of your business,” she replied with a smile, leaving Spike slightly bewildered when she turned around and walked out the door. It had been a long time since a woman he was interested in had blown him off so abruptly. And he was more than willing to remedy that situation.


* * * * *


Buffy giggled as she watched her friend Xander attempt to hit the volleyball over the net, succeeding only in making a fool of himself.


“Xand, you know you suck at this – why bother?” she asked with a smile, laughing when he ducked under the net and walked over to her, hooking an arm around her neck.


“And miss my favorite quality time with the Buffster? Not on your life.”


“Even when the hot blonde over there has been checking you out for the last five minutes?” she asked, gesturing toward the young woman lying on a beach towel a few yards away.


Xander’s eyes fell on the girl before he practically pushed Buffy away. “Sorry, Buff – something just came up.”


“I have a feeling I know what that something was!” she yelled, giggling when he gave her a dark look.


“About time he left.”


Spinning around at the sound of the voice, Buffy raised an eyebrow at the man who’d hit on her in the hotel. “You really have a problem with making business that’s not yours, yours.”


“Am I supposed to understand that?” he asked with an amused smile.


“Who are you?” Buffy asked, crossing her arms over her chest, nearly rolling her eyes when his gaze was immediately drawn to her bikini top.


“Spike McAllister,” he replied, taking a step toward her.


“And what do you want, Spike McAllister?” she asked, letting her own gaze wander over his body.


“Would it be a little presumptuous to say you?” he asked, barely able to contain his laughter when her face immediately flushed. He wasn’t sure whether it was in embarrassment or anger, but he was enjoying it.


“You’re a little cockier than you should be,” she said, her eyes narrowing when he began to get a good laugh at her annoyance.


“Trust me, love, I’m as cocky as I need to be and no more than that.”


Hearing the double meaning in his words, Buffy’s eyes widened in indignation before she took a deep breath. “Lucky for me, I don’t talk to arrogant beach bunny wannabes,” she said, barely able to hold back a smile when his eyes widened at her description of him. “Have a nice day, Mr. McAllister.”


Spike watched incredulously as she walked away from him for the second time that day.


“Now wait a minute,” he called after her, a bemused expression on his face as she turned around. “Where do you get off being all high and mighty?”


Buffy raised an eyebrow in response.


“You think because you’re wearing a bikini, all men should fall at your feet? What better way to step on all of them, right?”


“I wasn’t-”


“I’m not finished,” he interrupted, walking toward her, noticing her gaze briefly falling to his bare chest. “Maybe you like to play the role of the uptight brat, but that doesn’t mean you have to be such a bitch to everyone.”


“Are you finished?” Buffy asked, mildly amused by his attitude, choosing to ignore the half-hearted insults he’d thrown her way.


“I think I am,” he replied, turning away from her to walk back to the hotel.


“Now you wait a minute,” she called after him, a smile on her face when he faced her with a raised eyebrow. “I know I’m gonna regret this, but… I’ll play you for it,” she said, gesturing toward the volleyball net.


“Play me for what exactly?” Spike replied. “The pleasure of your company?”


Buffy slowly approached, her eyes taking in every inch of skin, the same way his gaze had perused her just moments earlier. “Name the terms,” she said, giving him flirty smile.


“Alright,” he said in a low voice, slowly approaching her until he was looking down into her eyes. “I win… I get a kiss.”


Buffy watched as he tilted his head, obviously expecting her to argue.


“And if I win,” she said in a thoughtful voice, looking up at the sky before her eyes traveled back to him. “You take me out tonight.”


Spike’s eyebrows shot up, obviously not expecting that. “And what did I do to deserve that, love?” he asked with an amused smile.


Buffy used all of her strength, throwing the volleyball in his direction, giggling when she heard the oomph from him as the ball hit his stomach before he caught it. “You seem to know what you want,” she said with a shrug. “Even if you go about it in a strictly conventional and slightly barbaric way, I gotta respect that.”


Spike was chuckling by the time she finished, looking at the ball he was holding. “My serve?”


* * * * *


“And that’s…” Spike jumped up and easily spiked the ball over the net. “…the game.”


“Please tell me that’s not how you got your nickname,” Buffy said with a groan.


“You’re the one who put that challenge out there,” he replied with a smile. “How’d you think I got the name? Running railroad spikes through people’s heads?”


“That would make for an interesting story,” she teased as he ducked under the net to approach her.


“So it would,” he said, his voice taking on a husky quality. “Where’s my winnings?”


Buffy smiled, surprised to feel her skin heat up as she looked down at the sand beneath her feet for a moment. Shivering when she felt his finger hook under her chin, directing her gaze to his, she gasped when his lips brushed against hers in a tender kiss. Instinctively clutching his arms, Buffy closed her eyes, giving in to the gentle assault on her lips, blinking a few times when he pulled away from her. Craving the feel of him against her, she looked up at him, seeing his clear blue eyes gazing back at her.


“Well, that was…”


“Yeah,” he agreed, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.


“Alright, beach bunny… what’s your last name?”


“Why do you want to know?” she asked, tilting her head to look at him.


“Because I always like to know that before I ask a woman out on a date,” he said with a smile.


“Summers,” Buffy said, her fingernails idly grazing his stomach, watching the muscles flex beneath her touch. “But you don’t think I’ll make the asking easy, do you?”


Spike frowned, not understanding what she was saying until she turned and ran away from him, kicking up sand as she laughed. Chasing after her, Spike laughed with her as he matched her stride, hooking an arm around her waist and falling on the sand, taking the full impact as Buffy landed on top of him, both breathing heavily from the sprint.


Buffy looked at the man beneath her, nearly closing her eyes when his hand caressed her cheek.


“Go out with me tonight,” he whispered, searching her face.


Seeing the genuine hope in his eyes, Buffy smiled, pressing a soft kiss to his lips before looking at him again. “No,” she said, not giving him a chance to react before continuing, “I’m taking you out tonight.”





~The End~