Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm going now...really I am...I hope to be back soon :) Author's note is at the bottom

Thought I'd get you 25 before I left even if a some (I'd say who but they did't tell me) don't care when I update....
Ever since you've been gone
The lights go out the same
The only difference is
You call another name
To your love
To your lover now
To your love
The lover after me

And time goes by so slowly
The nights are cold and lonely
I shouldn't be holding on
But I'm still holding on for you


PART II: AFFIRMATION


Chapter 25

Two Weeks After Spike Left

She had to stop moping over Spike—that's what Buffy had finally admitted to herself. So that was why she was going to the Bronze tonight. She hadn't been there in months and months, but thought that it would be a good way to...well, to get back out into the world.

Or to at least find a guy to keep her busy.

She found the clothes that she had ordered back when she started this new life of hers: the leather and satin pieces. She finally settled on a pair of red leather pants and a tight, black, backless satin top. It wasn't the best she could have looked but she thought for someone who hadn't been out in a long, long time that she looked pretty damn hot; her hair was falling down her back in light waves and her only make-up was smoky eye shadow and liner and deep, dark red lipstick.

Now to find out if anyone agreed with her.


The Bronze wasn't far away--not when you had a car, that is. And since this time Buffy didn't have any friends to drive her, she walked the almost mile to the club, glad she'd chosen her boots as they were more comfortable than heels.

She got there just a little after eight, early for sure but she wanted to have time to pick just who it was she wanted. It was mostly high school kids there at that time of the night, having their fun before their early curfews. Buffy hadn't remembered there being this many pretty people in her high school though.

Buffy ordered a drink--just a coke--and sat down at one of the tables overlooking the dance floor.

She wasn't halfway through her drink before some young guy walked towards her. He wasn't one of the best looking boys in the building but as a first dance he'd definitely do: cute brown eyes, fluffy brown hair, and some cute preppy clothes. He was adorable, Buffy decided--but not someone she was attracted to, sadly.

"I," he started as he finally stopped in front of her, "think that you look very beautiful tonight." He was blushing as he continued, "and I was wondering if you'd like to dance?"

Buffy normally would have turned him down but not tonight; tonight she was looking to just have some fun...that and she felt bad for him. Taking pity on the poor boy, Buffy asked, "How old are you?"

"Sixteen," he mumbled.

"Well Mr. Sixteen Year Old, if you can tell me your name then I think I can dance with you."

"It's Chris," he told her, a huge grin spreading across his face.

"Come on, Chris. Let's go dance."

Buffy danced with him for one song and decided to stay with him for the second song when he explained to her that he was there with his friends and, after his girlfriend had broken up with him the week before, they were all teasing him that he'd never be able to get a girl. Buffy explained to him that she couldn't date him, could only offer a few dances...he was perfectly happy with that. Buffy was happy to, for once, be making someone else feel better about themselves--and with something as simple as a dance.


Buffy danced the rest of the night, no one ever quite catching her interest; she was still hung up on William whether or not she was going to admit it to herself or anyone else. At around eleven o'clock when she was really starting to think that all of the so called 'pretty people' had stayed home for the night, someone new came over and began to dance with her.

Didn't ask to dance with her, just started dancing with her.

Buffy liked that.

And surprisingly, she was completely okay with the fact that that someone was a girl.

After all, tonight was her night for fun, to fully pretend that Spike was one hundred percent gone from her mind.

"Going to tell me your name?" Buffy asked the girl halfway through the song.

"Depends," she returned, "on if you're going to let me do this."

Buffy was nervous for a second while she waited to find out what exactly the 'this' was, but relaxed as the girl only moved closer to her, dancing with her more provocatively. The feeling of dancing with a woman was new to Buffy but not entirely unpleasant, she decided.

"Guess you are, then." The other girl answered her own question. "Name's Faith," she whispered when she got close to Buffy's ear.

"Buffy," Buffy said in kind.

"Interesting name you've got there, B."

"I'm an interesting girl," Buffy joked.

"I can see that," Faith said as she danced even closer to Buffy, her body sliding up and down against the younger girl's.

Buffy and Faith danced through two more songs, Buffy not noticing the attention they were garnering but Faith reveling in it. After the final song, Faith asked Buffy if she would like a drink.

"Surprise me," Buffy said, surprising herself--she didn't drink, but was more than likely about to given that Faith was well over twenty one and would probably get her something alcoholic. Oh well, alcohol was supposed to make you forget things right? Maybe it was what she needed.

Buffy found a new table--her old one being occupied--to sit at and waited while Faith got the drinks.

"Here you go, B," Faith arrived back relatively quickly with their drinks. "Got you a....well, a surprise," she smirked.

Buffy looked at the drink questioningly; it was dark enough in the club that she couldn’t tell exactly what color it was, so she had no hint there as to what it was.

"Drink up," Faith ordered as she swallowed down all of her drink in one quick gulp.

Looking anxiously at her drink once more, Buffy took one last deep breath before bringing the glass to her lips. 'I can do this,' she thought and drank the liquid down.

Buffy couldn't help but screw up her face in disgust at the taste of the drink. She glared at Faith when the woman laughed at her. "What was that?" Buffy asked.

"A surprise," was all Faith said. "So, B, want to tell me why you're here?"

"Are you trying out some new pick up lines or something?" Buffy asked.

"Nope. Just can tell everything's not five by five...so why?"

"Five by five?"

"You know. So, what is it?"

"Nothing," Buffy insisted vehemently. "Everything's fine."

"Yeah, sure," Faith laughed. "Tell me a new one, will ya? Come on, I'll get you another drink." Faith went back to the bar.

"No more surprises!" Buffy called after her.


TBC...........Please review

(same as 24's a/n, bu oh well)

I know my updates have been pretty off schedule, but it's--sadly--not going to get better for at least 3 weeks...we're going to visit family and for various reason, we're driving...so no internet there...I'll update when i can, but if you want to know when I update, I'd suggest joining my mailing list

Okay, now back to packing since I have to leave in the morning...but I'll be back in a bit with 25.......you can read 'Just a Thing' while you're waiting


oops, forgot to say that I've revamped my site: here if you'd like to check that out...

and thanks to Buffypurple12 for adding me to her fav author list.....(btw, I'll probably repeat this whole thing next chapter, sorry)