Author's Chapter Notes:
I probablyh had stuff to say but now I've forgotten it...I really should look into setting alarms when I'm sick ;)

Thank you so so much for the reviews you've all given me--they make me feel better...knowing that there is a point too me taking the time to post :)
PART III

Forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness



Chapter 35


The doctor, who came out of the emergency room more than an hour later, explained to them what had happened to Buffy.

“Mr. and Mrs. Giles, your daughter overdosed on painkillers. Muscle relaxers specifically. Now, taking the recommended dosage makes most people drowsy, given the type of medicine and its effects on one’s body; but taking as much as you daughter did…well it could have easily killed her.

“It was good that you brought her in when you did. Her system hadn’t yet had enough time to really absorb much of the medicine. We believe she actually was unconscious either from something she took earlier in the evening, because one of the pills just got through her more quickly than usual, or perhaps, other events effected her tolerance.” He didn’t tell them that she had been legally drunk as well when they tested her blood and that he was sure that was the cause of the speedy effects. “Whatever the case may be…we pumped her stomach to be sure all of the medication was completely out of her system and we’re running an IV to keep her blood clear.

The nurses are just getting her set up in a room now, attaching all of the proper monitors and such, but you can see her as soon as they’ve finished.”

”Thank you, doctor,” Rupert tried to thank the man but Joyce wasn’t quite done with him yet.

“You mean she has to stay the night?”

”At least that, Mrs. Giles—“

“Summers, it’s Mrs. Summers.”

“Sorry, ma’am. As I was saying, Mrs. Summers, we’ll have to keep your daughter for observation for at least that long. By law everyone brought in for a suicide attempt is monitored for a day and is spoken to by a psychiatric member of our staff. Some are checked into our psychiatric unit for rehabilitation but given that your daughter is of legal age, that choice will be left up to her.”

“Thank you doctor,” Joyce said finally, happy that she knew what was going to happen to her daughter now. “Will someone let us know when we can see Buffy or is there somewhere we should go to wait?”

“She’ll be up on the fourth floor; I’m not sure of the room yet, but you can go up there to wait and they’ll let you know when you can see her.”

After one last thank you from Giles, Joyce and Giles started towards the elevators. “Do you think there will be a phone I can use up there?” She asked.

“I’m sure there will, but may I ask why?”

“I told William that when we had a room number for Buffy that I’d let him know. I’d like to call him.”

“Oh, does he wish to call her?”

“What do you mean?”

”Why else would he need her room number if not to call her?” He prayed it wasn’t the only other thing he could think of it being.

“He’s on his way to see her and needs to know where to go.”

“Are you sure that’s wise?” Rupert asked his wife.

“Why wouldn’t it be? Do you know something Rupert? Something you’re not telling me?”

“Perhaps before William gets here, you should talk to Buffy about just what was happening between her and William before he left. And don’t let her know just yet that he’s coming; it might be for the best.”

”What is it you’re not telling me?” Joyce asked again as they stepped off of the elevator and went to find the fourth floor’s waiting area.

“I believe it’s up to Buffy. I’m not even sure I know the whole story. All that I do know is that it might not be best for to see William just now.”



The flight attendant had just knocked on the door for the sixth time, but he didn’t much care. Spike had made it to the airport in record time—cabs could be good for that, so could the three am hour—and actually got onto the first flight. Apparently the look of him had gotten the point across that he needed to get on that flight.

And ironically enough, it was also the look of him that had him where he was now. Just minutes into the flight he’d gotten up to use the plane’s restroom and that was where he still was now, just minutes until they began their descent into Los Angeles.

He’d been fine since he’d left his apartment and even into the flight, but he’d nearly lost it when he’d gotten a good look at himself in the bathroom mirror.

It all came crashing down on him then. One look at the pain etched so clearly across his face and he could no longer deny why it was there…

Buffy.

He’d left her. There was no denying that. And never once had he really thought it was the wrong decision, not until just that moment. It was his fault—maybe not entirely but if only he had stayed there maybe he could have….maybe he could have stopped her.

He didn’t know what he was going to do if…

Being apart from her was hard but at least he knew she was still there; that she still was. He wasn’t sure he would be able to deal with anything worse than that.

When the seventh, annoyed knock on the door came, announcing that he’d have to leave the bathroom because they were landing, Spike decided that maybe, just maybe, he would be able to sit amongst other people for the remainder of the flight.




The beeping of his cell phone as soon as he turned it on—which was as soon as the pilot announced he could do so—let him know that he had a message. He hoped it was from Joyce.

And that it was telling him where his beloved Buffy was in the hospital…and that it was one of the places they allowed you to visit.

He tried calling from inside the plane but for some reason the blasted phone couldn’t get a signal. How it could get the signal to tell him there was a message but not the signal that allowed him to call and retrieve that message, he’d never know.

It took more minutes than he wanted for everyone in front of him to get off of the plane, but he only had his duffel bag—that he’d taken on the plane—so he didn’t have to worry about luggage and baggage claim.

As soon as he was out in the terminal, he called up his voice mail.

He nearly laughed—because laughing was better than crying-- in relief when it was Joyce telling him that Buffy was doing well and she was in room 417. She told him that they would try to give word that he could see Buffy but if the nurses wouldn’t allow him back to just wait a few minutes and either she or Rupert would come out to find him.

Hoping that cabs in California were as fast as they were in New York City, he hailed one outside of the airport and told the older man driving to please take him to Sunnydale General Hospital. And he pressed that it was very urgent and he needed to get there as soon as absolutely possible.

“Don’t worry, Buffy love,” He silently promised, “I’ll be there in just a few minutes. Going to take care of my girl now…never letting you go again, sweetheart.”


TBC.......please review :-) (Part III name from a Savage Garden song_