Author's Chapter Notes:
I know there's something that I keep forgetting to say as an a/n....I always remember it about an hour or two after posting....and I've gone and forgotten it again.....oooh, I've got something, if you only read AUs (or all human fics) would you maybe be so nice as to tell me in your review?

now I'll go try to remember what it is I'm forgetting--and thank you all so, so much for all of the reviews--it really is still completely amazing to me :)
Chapter 47

“What are you—“

“I mean, if you don’t want to, then just tell me. But I…it feels like it would be the right thing to do. I’ve wanted to since…but the time never felt like it was right…I didn’t think I was ready.”

“And are you now?”

“I think so,” She said quietly. “I mean, I want to and I think you want to—“

“I do, luv. Believe me, I do.”

“So can we?”

“I’d love it,” He admitted, “Can make a night out of it. Get something to eat, see the movie…sound nice?”

“It sounds perfect,” Buffy assured him. “So, what was your favorite subject in school?”

Spike grinned and joined her in the renewed game of twenty questions; and they each asked a lot more than twenty questions that morning, but none was as important—to him—as Buffy asking him out on a date.

Who knew Saturday mornings could be so…life changing.



They really should have done this before, Buffy decided…well, actually, maybe not. Because she wasn’t sure they—or rather, she—were up for it before now.

But right now? Right now it was perfect in all its imperfection. Leaving the house they’d bumped into each other as they both tried to walk out the door at the same time; Buffy hadn’t been expecting him to open the door for her and had bumped into his back as they’d entered the restaurant; they both started talking at the same time while they waited for their food.

“What are we doing?” The second time they the stumbled over each other trying to start a conversation.

”Having dinner?” He tried.

“Yeah, but what’s with all the—“ Buffy waved her arms around not sure how to put words to what she was talking about.

“You mean the ‘first date’-ness?”

“Yes!” She exclaimed. “Do you realize how long I’ve known you? There’s no reason for us to be like this.”

“But this is different, kitten. This is us on a date, we haven’t done this before; it’s something new.”

“But it’s good different, right?” Buffy asked, her insecurity shining through.

“Definitely, luv. Now what’s say we quit all this craziness and just be us?”

“I think that would be a really good idea,” Buffy agreed.

“Like your pasta?” Spike noticed how much she seemed to be enjoying the fettuccini.

“I love it!” Buffy gushed, “I always like fettuccini and alfredo sauce, it’s one of my favorite things. Just don’t get to have it that often because I really, really, really can’t make it.”

“Ever tried?”

“Why do you think there were that many ‘really’s in there?”

“Take it it didn’t turn out so well then.”

“Not at all!”

“What happened?”

“It burned the pan so much I had to throw it away, some of the butter somehow started a fire and then I caught the dishtowel on fire and when I tried to put it out—it was just a big mess, really.”

”Guess I’ll just have to make you some sometime then.”

“Really?” Buffy grinned.

“Can’t be taking you out ever time you want it, can I?”

“Not like it’d make you broke though.”

“No, you’re right, it certainly wouldn’t. But I’d like us to have the time alone, too.”



“So, movie time?”

“Don’t think you can stare at the coffee for much longer without it turning into something new,” Spike answered.

“Really? Like what?

“Hadn’t exactly thought that far ahead,” He admitted.

“Well, to save you the great pain and torment of thinking—“

”Hey!”

“—Let’s go to the movie now.”



“Why are we seeing a kid’s movie?”

“Because I wanted to; and so you’d behave yourself.”

“I’ll have you know I’m perfectly capable of behaving myself.” It was true, too; he wasn’t going to even attempt to kiss her while they were in the movie, no matter which film they had chosen to see. They hadn’t had a first real kiss together since…well since he’d come back and when it did happen it was going to be right; not in the middle of some crowded movie theatre.

“Sure you are.”

“I am. Now hush and watch the movie!”

Buffy just rolled her eyes in response but lifted the arm rest between them and snuggled against him. She’d been doing that, recently, whenever they watched a movie or TV show together—it was what had helped her get comfortable with the idea of there being…something between them again.

Spike pulled her closer to him with an arm around her shoulder and settled in to watch the movie, surprisingly finding himself enjoying it. It was the classic Disney love story; a complete fairytale with absolutely nothing sexual shown or even suggested. It allowed him to still pick up on the story but also let him focus nearly all of his attention on Buffy.

He wasn’t ready or willing to admit to it, but he had been nervous as hell tonight. This was his big second chance and he couldn’t help but think of ways upon ways that he could possibly mess it up. He was so glad that things had so far been going so smoothly.

Maybe, just maybe they could do this.


“That was a really, really good movie.”

“You’re big on the “really”s tonight, aren’t you, pet?”

“Well I mean them.”

“Then I’d like to tell you that I had a really, really, really, really, really nice time tonight—and I mean it, too.”

“You really are such a dork.”

“And you’re adorable.”

“Yeah? How so?” She didn’t know why he had suddenly said that.

“Seeing a Disney movie; all the ‘really’ stuff.”

Buffy just blushed and said, “Well I like Disney movies, they’re sweet.”

“Adorable isn’t a bad thing to be, luv,” he promised. “In fact, I quite love it.”

“We’re home,” Buffy observed when they’d pulled into the driveway, sounding sad.

“That we are,” Spike agreed.

”What do we do now?” she asked.

“How do you mean?”

“Well, we just had a date. Generally at the end of dates either you both go home to your own homes or you go to the same one and…”

“Ahh,” Realization suddenly dawned on him; he hadn’t even thought about what happened when they got home.

“Why don’t I walk you to the door, ask real nice like for a goodnight kiss, let you go in, and then you can change in your room and I’ll come in and change in mine and we can watch Letterman together or something?”

“I like that,” It was the perfect compromise really, it allowed her to still have her ‘coming home after the date’ and also didn’t make things awkward between them. And it didn’t put any pressure on them for something more to happen once they were both inside.

The idea of a goodnight kiss wasn’t entirely objectionable either.


Spike walked her, slowly, from the driveway to the front door, dragging things out as much as he possibly could.

“Know you might not kiss on the first date, but I was hoping you might be willing to make an exception for me…May I kiss you, Buffy?”

After all they’d been through him asking for a simple kiss could have been laughable; it wasn’t though.

“Of course you can, William; I’d love it actually.”

Spike gave her a short kiss on the lips, a kiss that left both of them wanting more.

“Goodnight, Buffy.”

“See you soon,” she smiled and went into the house, closing the door behind her.

Spike sat on the front step for about five minutes before following her into the house. Since they weren’t actually going to sleep yet, perhaps he could give her another goodnight kiss when the ‘goodnight’ was actually applicable? Yeah, that would be nice.



TBC................(but not too much....I wish it weren't almost over--well kinda almost at least)