Chapter 1


“Was that the last box?” Elizabeth asked as she walked back over to her dad’s parked car in front of dorm.

”Yep…last one, sweetie.” Hank Summers said and shut the trunk of the car.

They both stood a few feet away from each other, looking around at all the parents and new students unloading boxes of clothes and computers out of their cars. Before Elizabeth turned back to her father she saw out of the corner of her eye a mother and daughter hugging and crying goodbye to one another.

“In a way I’m glad your mother isn’t here…I don’t think she could handle this. You know how bad she is at goodbyes.” Hank said as he rubbed the back of his neck.

“Yeah…” Elizabeth nodded with a slight smile, “She’s the worst at goodbyes.”

“Yeah…well…” Hank stepped forward towards his daughter and started to open his arms and hugged her. “Guess today I’ll be the bad one about saying goodbyes.” He said in a whisper as he hugged her close.

Elizabeth started to feel very uncomfortable. When growing up she wasn’t the one to receive hugs and kisses from her friends or family members. And when the time came to receive a hug, Elizabeth counted the seconds till she could step away.

“It’s only for a few weeks…six weeks of summer classes.” Elizabeth said as her dad continued to hug her.

“Yeah I know…still can’t believe you want to take these classes when you could be at home doing nothing all summer long like a regular kid.” Hank said as he let her out of the hug.

”It will be good for me—adjusting to college life as a freshman and all…besides I’m not a kid anymore.” Elizabeth said.

”I know that’s not the only reason you are doing this…” Mr. Summers said softly and played with his car keys in his hand, “I know you need to get away from home…because there is too much….you know.”

Elizabeth didn’t respond; she just bowed her head down and looked at the ground. She knew he was right in some way

“Well, your mother and I will call you in about a week—once you’re all settled in and everything.” Hank said and gave her a quick hug again and whispered, “Love you sweetie...”

Elizabeth paused and then responded,”…love you too.”

When they broke apart Hank turned around and got into the drivers seat and started the engine. Elizabeth stepped a few feet away as the car started to back out the parking space. Hank glanced back at his daughter one last time and gave her a little wave. She took a deep breath and gave him the same little wave as she watched him drive off.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

When Elizabeth made it up to eighth floor of her dorm her eyes were dry but still a bit red. She breezed off the elevator and passed a few of her neighbor girls moving stereos and televisions into their rooms. A few of the girls gave Elizabeth a nice genuine smile to be friendly, but then again there were a handful of girls that didn’t bother giving her a second look.

Elizabeth unlocked her door and caught the site of all of her boxes laid out on the floor and on her own bed. She made sure that her roommate’s side of the room was untouched in case her roommate walks in and thinks she is a totally dominating the room. In fact, Elizabeth was never the dominating type. She was always on the end of a stick—being poked around by schoolmates and following others. She was the one that did all the work in a group project and got no recognition, she was the one that was bumped around in the hallways by passing jocks, and she was the one that listened to girls talk about parties she never got invited to.

“Are you Liz?” a voice came from behind Elizabeth.

When she turned around she saw a girl with long dark brown hair dressed in a short skirt and a tank top.

“Uh…ya….Elizabeth.” Elizabeth said quietly. “You must be Cordelia.”

”Ya...but you can call me Cordy.” Cordelia said and walked into the dorm and sat down on the bed on the left side of the room. “You don’t mind if I take the left side of the room right?” Cordelia asked while rooting through her designer handbag.

“Uh…no.” Elizabeth said. ‘So much for having the goal of not being pushed around.’ She thought to herself.

“Thanks...”Cordelia said as she got her compact out and started to apply some makeup on her. “Man, that car ride up here wiped me out. Three hours in car is too much. I look like crap.” Cordelia said while looking at herself through her compact mirror. After a few moments she looked up at Elizabeth and asked, “Where are you from again?”

”Umm….California…” Elizabeth said as sat on her new bed facing Cordelia.

“Shut up, I hate you!” Cordelia said as she shut her compact and shoved it into her purse.

Elizabeth glanced side to side, not really knowing how to respond. She wasn’t use to being around popular girls back in high school and wasn’t use to their overdramatic conversations.

”You must have some great shoes. So do you live in Orange Country or Laguna Beach or something?” Cordelia asked.

”Umm…no…I live in northern California….around some of the vineyards...actually--.” Elizabeth explained but got interrupted.

”Well I’m sure any part of California is nice Lizzy.” Cordelia said in a snub school girlish voice.

‘She obviously likes calling me ‘Lizzy’…’ Elizabeth noted to herself. ‘Maybe I should correct her…’

Before Elizabeth got a chance to tell Cordelia that she preferred being called her actually name, the popular teen that seemed more like a Valley girl than Elizabeth, spoke again.

”I don’t understand how you can pick North Carolina over California….just doesn’t seem right.” Cordelia stated her opinion, “What are you interested in studying?”

”uh…English...” Elizabeth replied.

Cordelia raised both her eyebrows in surprise, “God girl…you must me smart.”

“I just like to write…” Elizabeth shrugged and looked down at her sneakers.

“Well I’m majoring in communications …” Cordelia shared.

“Oh…well that’s interesting.” Elizabeth said nicely.

“Ya…I guess….” Cordelia said as she pushed herself up off the bed and walked around towards her closet and started observing the space she had to work with for six weeks.

“Hey babe, you could have helped me out in the car.” The voice of a guy came by the girl’s door.

“I don’t want to do heavy lifting….its like ninety degrees out there. I don’t want to make the first impression to my peers in sweat Parker.” Cordelia complained.

Elizabeth stared at what she presumed was Cordelia’s boyfriend. He was sort of cute, with shaggy brown hair and brown eyes. He seemed much older than Cordelia was, probably around twenty one years old. He came in carrying a big box labeled ‘Cordy’s Stuff’.

“Would you like to introduce me to your roommate Cord?” Parker asked Cordelia as he nudged her in the arm.

”Lizzy this is Parker. He’s a junior and also goes here.” Cordelia said as she started rooting through her things in a random box.

“Hi.” Elizabeth said and got up off the bed and shook Parker’s hand.

“Nice to meet you…sorry if I seem all gross and sweaty…usually my personal hygiene is better.” He joked.

Elizabeth smiled, “That’s okay….I’m kind of worn out from the moving too…I think—“

”Is my stereo in the backseat?” Cordelia cut off Elizabeth when she asked Parker a question.

“Uh…ya I think.” Parker said with a sigh.

“Great….will you please get it for me if you don’t mind. I can’t unpack without a little music. Thanks so much.” She said as she didn’t wait for a response for Parker.

Parker started to leave the room and go down the hallway, but before he left he meet Elizabeth’s eyes and rolled them. Elizabeth’s smile went a little bit wider as she saw the reaction he gave to Cordelia’s behavior. ‘At least I’m not only one who feels this girl is ditzy’ Elizabeth thought.


--------------------------------------------------------------------

“Do you want to get some dinner and check out the rest of the campus?” Elizabeth asked as she put on her shoes and grabbed her keys.

”Nah I’m good….need to still put some things away.” Cordelia replied as she rearranged stuff near her desk.

For the last few hours Cordelia had turned her half of the room into a typical girly atmosphere that had boy posters, pink fuzzy pillows, and pictures of her with tons of boys, mostly with Parker.

When Elizabeth looked at her side of the room it seemed so bear and incomplete compared to Cordelia’s.

“Alright….then I’ll see you later I guess.” Elizabeth said and went out the door and walked into the hallway.

While walking through the Student Union on campus, Elizabeth got to see lots of student activities taking place. Guys were handing out flyers to girls about parties with free jello-shots, and different organizations were trying to pursue freshmen into joining their clubs. Elizabeth was amazed that all of this was taking place in the summer session; she expected more of this commotion in the fall.

As a matter of fact, all Elizabeth wanted to do was go to the small café and get a cup of coffee inside the building, but the many obstacles around her took longer than she expected.

”Come to Beta Theta Pi tonight…theirs open bar.” A guy said as he handed Elizabeth a flyer.

”Umm…thanks.” Elizabeth said as she took the flyer and continued to walk on by.

However as she walked by she heard, “Why did you give that girl a flyer?”

Elizabeth stopped dead in her tracks and turned slightly around to see two guys, the one that gave her the flyer and another boy who had bleached blonde hair having a conversation. They were oblivious that she was only standing a few feet away.

”Why not?” the boy asked, “We’re looking for the pretty girl’s right? She’s sort of cute….”

“Yeah…right…” Elizabeth caught a little bit of sarcasm in the bleach blonde’s voice.

Elizabeth just stood there and stared at frat guys continued to hand out flyers to oncoming passing girls. She looked down at the flyer of Beta Theta Pi and just let it go and let it float onto the ground. Elizabeth turned around and walked out of the building, not letting the harsh words break her. ‘My first day at college and I’m already the outcast.’ She thought to herself.


-------------------------------------------------------------------


“How’s it going? See any action?” Cordelia asked as Elizabeth walked into the dorm room and took off her jacket.

“I’ll say…” Elizabeth mumbled and grabbed bunch of papers she had in her hand and walked over and threw them away in the trash can.

Cordelia walked over and picked up one of the papers and started to read them, “Why’d you throw these away?” she asked.

”Because I don’t want to go partying at some stinky frat…” Elizabeth said.

“Don’t you like to drink?” Cordelia laughed as she picked up the rest of the flyers that Elizabeth threw away and examined them.

“No…not really.” Elizabeth mumbled and sat down and started typing away on her computer.

”Have you ever had a drink?” Cordelia asked, “Or been to a frat?”

“Yes…” Elizabeth gave not a very convincing answer.

“Well, whatever frat you were at that made you have this attitude towards them, those guys were probably jerks. Come with me to Parker’s frat.” Cordelia said as she started pulling clothes out of her closet.

”Parker’s in a frat?” Elizabeth asked with a little bit of amazement in her voice.

“Well duh!” Cordelia said and rolled her eyes, “So…what do you think? You want to come?”

”Well…I don’t know…I should probably start reading and—“

”Lizzy, you have all the time and the world to study and read once class starts…come out….get a little bit tipsy…make out with a random guy….have fun…” Cordelia said as she started to change her clothes.

“Well…” Elizabeth drifted off and couldn’t think of anything else to say. She didn’t want to be considered a social outcast by her new roommate and let the bleached blonde frat guy judge her correctly. She thought back to his sarcastic voice saying ‘Yeah…right…’ “Okay…I’ll go.”


One two three uh!
My baby don't mess around
Because she loves me so
And this I know for shooo...


Uh, But does she really wanna
But can't stand to see me
Walk out the dooor...
Don't try to fight the feelin'
Because the thought alone is killing me right nooww...
Uh, thank god for mom and dad
For sticking two together
'Cause we don't know hooowww...
UH!


Elizabeth stood against the wall watching girls in short skirts and tight tank tops grind up against boys on the dance floor. She watched the girl’s cups of beer they held in their hands spilled onto their bodies and onto the floor without care. Everyone seemed too into the song and their partners to care about anything at the moment.

Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa..
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa...
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa...
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa..



“Isn’t this great?” Cordelia asked loudly Elizabeth over the loud music. In one hand Cordelia held onto her beer and with the other arm she rapped it around Parker’s waist.

Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa..
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa..
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa..
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa..


Elizabeth gave a little fake smile and nod as she looked at the stumbling drunken girls laughing as the passed them.

“I smell like strawberries!” one drunken girl laughed out loud as she passed Elizabeth, Cordelia, and Parker.

You think you've got it
Ohh, you think you've got it
But got it just don't get it
Till' there's nothing at
AaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaallllll..


“Hey isn’t that Xander?” Cordelia asked Parker as she looked across the dance floor.

Parker looked in the direction she pointed and nodded, “Yep…that stupid jackass should be bartending…”

”Who’s that?” Elizabeth asked Cordelia quietly.

”What!” Cordelia asked loudly over the blaring music.

”I said, ‘Who’s that!” Elizabeth yelled a bit louder.

”He’s another one of Parker’s frat brothers…he lives here. Come on…I’ll introduce you.” Cordelia said. She untangled her arm around Parker and grabbed Elizabeth’s hand and started to walk through the crowded room.

We get together
Ohh, we get together
But seperate's always better when there's feelings
InvooooooOOOOOOOoooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOlved
If what they say is "Nothing is forever"
Then what makes, Then what makes, Then what makes
Then what makes, Then what makes LOOVVEEE?
(Love exception) So why you, why you
Why you, why you, why you are we so in denial
When we know we're not happy heeeerrreeee...
Y'all don't want me here you just wanna dance


As Elizabeth and Cordelia got closer to the guy that was named ‘Xander’ she started to recognize him a little bit. ‘Come to Beta Theta Pi tonight…theirs open bar’ she remembered their recent encounter. And then Elizabeth’s eyes widened a little bit.

“Oh no…” she mumbled to herself. ‘I’m at the Beta Theta Pi party!’ Elizabeth screamed inside her mind, ‘This can’t be happening!’

She wanted to escape Cordelia’s grasp and run out of the frat house to anywhere else. However, by the time Elizabeth thought of her escape plan she realized she was already standing in front of the boy called ‘Xander’ talking with a bunch of partiers.

Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (Don't want to meet your daddy, OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (Just want you in my Caddy OHH OH)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH, don't want to meet yo' mama OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (Just wan't to make you cumma OHH OH)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (I'm, OHH OH I'm, OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (I'm just being honest OHH OH, I'm just being honest)


“Hey Xander!” Cordelia yelled over the music and tapped the guy’s shoulder to get his attention.

When he turned around he gave Cordelia a smile and a little hug.

”Hey Cordy!” he smiled and hugged her. When they broke free he turned to Elizabeth and simply said, “Hi…”

Elizabeth gave a shy smile and said, “Hi…” ‘Maybe he doesn’t recognize me from earlier.’ Elizabeth thought and prayed to herself. She thought that the high heavens would give her a break and let this boy in front of her forget their little encounter.

“Have we met before?” Xander squinted his eyes and studied Elizabeth.

‘Or maybe not…’ Elizabeth thought to herself.

Hey, alright now
Alright now fellas, (YEAH!)
Now what's cooler than bein' cool?
(ICE COLD!) I can't hear ya'
I say what's cooler than bein' cool?
(ICE COLD!) whooo...
Alright, alright, alright, alright
Alright, alright, alright, alright
Alright, alright, alright, alright


“She’s my roommate Xand…she’s from California.” Cordelia explained and then took a sip of her beer.

“Wow…California huh…are you a Valley girl?” he joked and he and bunch of people around him laughed.

Alright, alright, Ok now ladies, (YEAH!)
And we gon' break this thing down in just a few seconds
Now don't have me break this thang down for nothin'
Now I wanna see y'all on y'all baddest behavior
Lend me some suga', I am your neighbor ahh here we go!
Shake it, shake, shake it, shake it (OHH OH)
Shake it, shake it, shake, shake it, shake it, shake it (OHH OH)
Shake it, shake it like a Polaroid Picture, shake it, shake it
Shh you got to, shake it, shh shake it, shake it, got to shake it
(Shake it Suga') shake it like a Poloroid Picture


“No…not really…” Elizabeth laughed nervously, “I’m Elizabeth Summers.”

”But call her ‘Lizzy’.” Cordelia smiled and hung her arm around Elizabeth’s shoulder, giving the image as if they were great buddies.


Now while Beyonce's and Lucy Lui's
And baby dolls, get on the floor
(Get on the floor)
You know what to dooo..
You know what to dooo..
You know what to do!

Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (Uh oh, Hey Ya)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (Uh, uh, OHH OH)
Heeeyyy... Yaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)
Heeyy Yaaaaaaaa.. (OHH OH)


“Have you seen Spike around at all?” Cordelia asked Xander.

‘Spike…what’s a Spike?’ Elizabeth thought as she continued to listen to the conversation.

“Last I saw him he was about to get real luck with some freshmeat.” Xander laughed at his nickname for freshmen.

“Stop calling them that…I’m a freshman now…” Cordelia scolded him and put her hand on her hip.

“Oh yeahh…..” Xander laughed, “I keep forgetting…you’ve been partying here for so long I completely forgot.”

“Umm…Cordelia…” Elizabeth interrupted them, but however they continued talking—not even acknowledging she was there.

“Why don’t you join a sorority this year…I mean you were partially born for it…” Xander continued.

“Sororities all about chick fights and scratching your eyes out…I got enough of that at home from my two sisters.” Cordelia rolled her eyes and flipped her hair back behind her shoulder.

Elizabeth took a few steps away from the two; she didn’t feel like she belonged there let alone wanted to be there. ‘Where’s the nearest exit?’ she thought to herself as she pushed and shoved her way through the hot crowded room.

By the time she got out the back door she let out a sigh a relief to be breathing in the fresh air around her. However, Elizabeth found herself to be coughing from a gust of smoke that seemed to come out of no where.

“Leaving the party so soon luv?” a voice spoke out, sending chills down Elizabeth’s spine.

She turned around and saw before her the bleached blonde again from earlier. He was leaning up near the back door enjoying his cigarette by himself. He sort was blending into the dark atmosphere around him by wearing only a black t-shirt and jeans.

Elizabeth let out a little gasp and automatically took a step back.

“Woah there…” the English accent heightened in his voice, “No need to be frightened pet…”

”Tell me one good reason why I shouldn’t be?” Elizabeth asked harshly.

The bleached blonde raised an eyebrow at her comment, ‘Witty little thing isn’t she?’ he thought to himself.

“You’re right...you can never be too carefully late at night when you’re a young girl about to walk back to her dorm room alone.” He said, taking a step away from wall and dropping his cigarette to the ground.

“I’m not alone.” She said quickly.

He did a quick swipe, looking around the alley they stood in before turning back to her. “I don’t see anyone else out here but us…” he pointed out as his lips curled into a smirk. “But I guess that really doesn’t consider as being alone I guess.”

’What is up with this guy?’ Elizabeth instantly thought, ‘One moment he thinks I’m not even distinguished as a so called “pretty girl” and then next he seems to be hitting on me…he must be stoned or drunk or something...’

“Listen, you’re wasting your time…I’m not interested in you and never will be. I’m not some bimbo freshmen girl that can see when a guy only wants one thing.”

The frat boy seemed a little startled at her choice of words, “You’re sassy you know that?” he laughed, “What’s your name luv?”

“What’s yours?” she retreated, as she crossed her arms over her small frame.

“Friends call me ‘Spike’…enemies call me ‘Willy’….parents call me ‘William’….so, which name do you prefer?” Spike smirked and took a step closer to Elizabeth.

“How about…’Typical frat boy’…” Elizabeth said. Both of them stared at one another before she turned away and started down the back alley towards the street. Elizabeth didn’t care how dangerous it was to walk back to the dorm alone, she did anyway. She thought that anything was better than standing there talking to guy she already put on her ‘Ten Most Hated List’.

TBC...song played at the party was 'Hey Ya!' by Outkast