Author's Chapter Notes:
All the main characters are human (for now? *wink* oh, the possibilities), AU. Song by Michelle Branch.
Buffy Summers cleared her throat and watched her mother, Joyce Summers, get nervous. She could tell that her mother thought it was something bad, like she was pregnant or something. But that was a far cry from the truth.

She took a deep, shaky breath. ‘Now or never,’ she thought idly.

Buffy looked at her knees, scared of what her mother would say.

“Mom, I’m in a band.”

She looked up.

Joyce was smiling widely, pride for her daughter showing through.

‘She’s taking this well…’ Buffy thought to herself.

“Isn’t this the part where you tell me I’m too young and that I’m grounded and should go to my room?” she asked nervously.

“No. I’m proud of you. I’ve always known that you have a deep love and respect for music Buffy. And this is an invaluable life experience. What do you… err…DO in the band exactly?” Joyce asked, suddenly realising that some groupies consider themselves band members.

“I’m a singer. Backing mostly but I lead sometimes.”

Joyce’s stomach, which had been full of dread that she was a groupie, unclenched, relief flooding her.

“Well, now I know where it is you go every night that always makes you come home late sweetheart.”

“Yeah, I was always in rehearsals with Spike, Oz, Devon and Jesse.” Said Buffy, feeling happy that her mom seemed to be supporting this.

“So what do the other members do?” asked her mother.

“Let’s see, umm… Devon’s lead singer mostly, he plays guitar, Spike’s on guitar too and he sings sometimes, Oz plays bass and works on the riffs while Spike writes the lyrics, and that leaves Jesse on drums.”

“So you’re the only girl at the rehearsals and performances?” asked Joyce, feeling worried that Buffy was by her self.

“Hardly!” Buffy practically snorted, “Devon’s girlfriend Cordy, I mean Cordelia, Cordy’s her nickname, she’s there. Umm… Spike has Drucilla, Oz is with Willow and-“

“Wait, Willow your friend? With red hair?” asked Joyce, remembering a ‘Willow’ come to their house to study for a French test.

“Yup, she came to a gig and met Oz there. Ooh, then there’s Harmony with Jesse.”

“Oh. So do they help out?”

“They’re like our stylists, roadies and managers all rolled together.”

“Oh. Well, uh… I… well, wow! I mean, Buffy this is incredible.” Said Joyce, every incoherent stammer and word dripping with pride and admiration for her eldest daughter.

Buffy leaned over and gave her mom a hug.

“Now, even singers need their sleep if they have a French test tomorrow morning. As do 14-year-olds who should have gone to bed hours ago yet are listening in at the top of the stairs.” Said Joyce, speaking more loudly on the latter sentence.

The pair of them heard Buffy’s younger sister, Dawn, run to her room and shut the door behind her.

Buffy struggled to suppress the laughter she felt bubbling inside her at hearing Dawn be told off.

Joyce could sense this and sent Buffy up to bed.

That night Buffy felt happier knowing that her mother knew about the band, but worried by the thought that she didn’t know that there had been men in suits watching the band, Dingoes Ate My Baby, at their last gig at The Bronze, Sunnydale’s one and only nightclub.

~+~

Dingoes Ate My Baby was originally formed during a homework help club for people failing French class.

Oz was only there because he had been assigned by Principal Snyder to tutor the people who were failing (this was because he’d been the one that had painted a graffiti mural in the gym). No one really got that far with their studies. So they would routinely skip the help session to do stupid things behind the metal bleachers like smoke cigarettes and generally mess around.

When Buffy started to fail French after she moved to Sunnydale from LA, the previously all-boy gang, alerted her that nobody actually went to the help sessions and that she was welcome to hang out with them.

She gladly joined them, and one afternoon, the band was started.

“So what do we do now?” Jesse had asked.

“Dunno, but it had better be better than just sittin’ here with our arses in pain from boredom” said Spike, his heavy London accent almost making his voice sound threatening.

“Truth or Dare?” Buffy had asked.

“’Ow about ‘Dare or Dare’?” suggested Spike.

They all murmured in agreement.

“Who starts?” asked Devon.

“Goldilocks, Dare or Dare?” asked Spike, leering at her.

“Umm… like there’s a choice?”

Spike smirked at this.

“I DARE you to sing that Michelle Branch song, wassit? Umm… oh yeah, ‘Goodbye to You’ and if you don’t then you’ll have to do the worse dare.”

He had expected her to do the worse dare, or at least ask what the worse dare was, but she stood up from where she had been sitting and sang the song.

“Of all the things I've believed in,
I just want to get it over with,
Tears form behind my eyes,
But I do not cry,
Counting the days that pass me by.

I've been searchin' deep down in my soul,
Words that I'm hearin' are starting to get old,
It feels like I'm starting all over again,
The last three years were just pretend,
And I say-

Goodbye to you,
Goodbye to everything I thought I knew,
You were the one I loved,
The one thing that I tried to hold on to.

I still get lost in your eyes,
And it seems that I can't live a day without you,
Closing my eyes,
And you chase my thoughts away,
To a place where I am blinded by the light,
But it's not right.

Goodbye to you,
Goodbye to everything I thought I knew,
You were the one I loved,
The one thing that I tried to hold on to.

And it hurts to want everything and nothing at the same time,
I want what's yours and I want what's mine,
I want you,
But I'm not giving in this time.

Goodbye to you,
Goodbye to everything I thought I knew,
You were the one I loved,
The one thing that I tried to hold on to-“

“You don’t have to sing anymore pet.” Said Spike, cocking his head to the side and looking at her as if she had just told him her mum had died.

‘She can sing really well,’ he thought, ‘better than the bloody bird that sang it in the first place’.

“Whoa, Buffy… that was beautiful,” said Devon.

“Amazing.” said Oz, his sentences always being at most three words in length.

“Where’d you learn to sing like that luv?” asked Spike

“Since I was about 5.” Said Buffy sheepishly.

“Well that was really good Buff, like…like…”
stammered Jesse as he tried to find the words.

“An angel.” Spike finished for him, his eyes staring in wonder at Buffy.

She blushed when she met his piercing blue gaze.

Why don’t we, like, form a band or something?” asked Devon, “I mean Buffy backs and leads sometimes, I’ve got a guitar at home and can learn to play it, Oz I know that you can play bass, and you Spike, you’ve always gotten good marks for poetry in English, you can write the songs and-“

“OI! That was supposed to be secret!”

“Sorry dude. Now, where was I? Oh yeah! Jesse can be on drums”

“Sure I got a drum kit at home, I can learn to play it” replied Jesse.

“So, we stop doing this,” said Buffy, gesturing emphatically at the circle that the friends had formed, “and find someplace to practise, like the music room, and…learn how to be in a band?”

“Well, yeah.” Said Devon.

“I’m in”

That was how the madness had begun, almost a year ago, and now they were almost about to become famous. And now that Buffy had told her mom that she was in a band, she felt even more excited than she had on that fateful day.

~+~

Author's Note: Please Review!!! I need to know that people are actually reading this before I carry on writing it. And besides, reviews are the only payment that us authors get.