Chapter 18

“I wasn’t sure how many trash bags we’d need, so I brought one for each kid,” William said, taking a seat on the carpet. “I guess we’d better get started or we’ll be here until dinnertime.”

“I wanna open mine first!”

“No! Let me, daddy!”

“Hold on, hold on,” William chuckled, keeping the twins from diving under the Christmas tree. “We’re going to do this in one of two ways, alright? It’s either going youngest to oldest, or oldest to youngest. I won’t have you just ripping open all the packages. Let’s have some order. So, Sarah, would you like to choose, kitten? Who should open their presents first?”

“Um…me! I should!”

“Now, Sarah--.”

“Go for youngest to oldest, honey,” Buffy whispered from where she was sitting on the sofa with Joy.

“Is that better, daddy?”

“It is. Alright, so that means the baby goes first.”

As William searched for the perfect gift, Jamie peeked over his shoulder.

“Oh, I wanna open that one! It’s so big! I wanna open that one after Jo!”

“You can’t, I’m next!”

“No, I am!”

“Mommy!” Sarah cried, climbing onto the sofa and snuggling into Buffy’s side. “Mommy, tell Jamie that I’m next!”

“Ah…” Buffy looked to William and he responded with a silent nod. “Of course you’re next, honey. You’re a tiny bit younger than Jamie.”

“But, but I don’t wanna wait all day!” With a whimper, Jamie collapsed in frustration. “I want to open my presents right now!”

“Jamie…”

“No, he’s fine,” William said, handing Buffy a gift. “A good pout won’t hurt him.”

“Guess he’s learned from the best—oh, William, stop him.”

“Jamie,” William scolded, catching his hands before Jamie could eat a handful of candy from his stocking. “Will you stop this? Do you want to spend Christmas with your nose in the corner? Do you want a timeout?”

“But, but--.”

“No, buts.”

“I’m sorry, daddy!”

“Are you really?”

“Yeah,” Jamie insisted, his lower lip jutting forward. “I’m sorry.”

“Open your fists then.”

“But I want candy.”

“You just had breakfast--.”

“Daddy—please! Please, daddy? Pretty please? Can I have one little, little candy?”

William glanced at Buffy and she shrugged. “I don’t think it would hurt,” she mouthed. “It’s up to you though.”

“You can have one, but simmer down, mate. You’ll get your presents soon enough.”

“I’ll simmer!” Jamie giggled, mouth full of gooey chocolate. “I’ll be good! Wanna candy? See? I’m sharing!”

“I see that. Good for you, love.”

Buffy temporally forgot to breathe, touched as father and son exchanged identical lopsided grins.

“Buffy?” William chuckled, putting an end to her dazed state. “Are you going to help our baby? She could open the gift herself, but I’m afraid to admit that she has a pesky tendency to eat the paper and nibble on the bows.”

“Oh, God. Really? Joy eats wrapping paper—bows? Eating ribbon, that can’t be healthy--.”

“Buffy, I’m kidding,”

“Oh—oh, sorry, I just…never mind.”

“It’s alright,” William grinned, never breaking their eye contact when he kissed the top of Jamie’s head. “Whenever you’re done, Summers. We’re in no hurry.”
***

“So.”

“So…”

William moved aside a stack of new baby clothes to sit next to Buffy. “You’ve been smiling all morning.”

“Have I?”

“Yes and it’s getting on my nerves.”

“I can’t help it.”

“Now do you see why Santa is so generous, why he showers our little hellions with so many gifts?”

“Just their reactions…God, William, it’s worth it. I’d do anything to make them happy. Even Joy made the sweetest face when she saw her new teddy bear.”

“Your reactions have been priceless too, baby,” he whispered, threading their fingers together and giving her hand a squeeze. “I didn’t forget about you. Upstairs there’s a stash of presents for you too.”

“What about you? I can go without. I don’t want anything if you don’t have a gift or two to open.”

“Well, believe it or not, I found this bag hidden in the hall closet. It’s covered in permanent marker. Want to guess what was written on it?”

“Not really? I have no idea. I couldn’t even begin to guess.”

“It says, and I quote: Open this and I’ll kick your ass.”

“I wonder who would’ve written such a thing.”

“I’m guessing it was that one,” William joked, pointing to Sarah, who was showing Joy her collection of new dolls.

“I’m sure,” Buffy snickered, scooting closer once William wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “So, she’s younger than Jamie?”

“By two minutes.”

“Those must have been two very painful minutes.”

“I can only imagine.”

“That’s a funny thing to say… You weren’t there?”

“Not by choice exactly. I saw Jamie, but couldn’t see Sarah.”

“Why not?”

“Don’t look so shocked. You didn’t see either of them. You had your eyes squeezed shut the entire time.”

“That makes sense. I was in labor. I was giving birth to your children, mister. What’s your excuse?”

“I needed a breather.”

“What?”

“I needed to step outside, alright?”

“To smoke?”

“No, I did not leave to smoke. There’s this rule, it’s unspoken, but it’s a bloody important rule regardless. When you’re in the delivery room and unless you’re a doctor or nurse, you don’t look down. I did on accident and I had to go somewhere else for a minute or they were going to have to scrape me off the floor once I passed out like a sodding…husband who’s just witnessed an unspeakable horror.”

“Oh.”

“I was only gone for a few minutes and I came back once everyone was cleaned up. Your doctor approved, she said it gave you and the twins more time to bond.”

“Oh.”

“So that’s it? I’m forgiven? Did I wriggle myself out of being crowned Worst Father of the Century?”

“You’re reputation’s still standing. Sorry, I didn’t mean to--.”

“You didn’t,” he said, giving her a kiss. “I’ve never been able to stomach seeing you in pain. And to be honest, a birth is not the most pleasant thing to witness. It’s beautiful, yes, but…”

“An unspeakable horror?”

“Yes,” he chuckled, causing Buffy to grin, “and it’s incredibly gross.”

“But worth it?”

“God, Buffy. Yes, it was worth it.”

“I don’t know if I’m ready to have more, not until I can remember having the first three. Gosh, I still find it hard to believe that I have three children…” she trailed off, holding on to William tightly. “I love them. No matter how many you trick me into having, I’ll love all of them.”

“Would I trick you?”

“I wouldn’t put it past you. Um…William? I know I have terrible timing, but when can I open my presents?”

“I knew it would be just a matter of time--.”

“It’s just not very fair. I mean, the kids got to open their presents first thing this morning and I—we have to wait?”

“I love how you slipped the ‘we’ in there. I almost bought that you cared about me.”

“I care--.”

“You’re just like the kids—no, you’re worse.”

“I’m not--.”

“You are!” he laughed out loud. “There’s no way they’ll sleep now. If you can keep them busy, you can open all the presents you want.”

“Well, they have loads of new toys…we could put Joy in her crib and the twins, they could--.” Buffy stopped, interrupted by the doorbell. “Are we expecting someone?”

“I don’t believe so…”

The doorbell rang again and Jamie jumped to his feet. “I’ll get it!”

Buffy exchanged looks with William and then they both headed for the door.

“Jamie, wait--.”

“Tara! Daddy, Tara’s here!”

“Hey!” the nanny said, bending to lift Jamie into her arms. “Merry Christmas, sweetie!”
***

“Don’t think that we’re unhappy to see you, but what the hell are you doing here?” William laughed, stepping forward to give Tara a quick hug. “What about your plans to visit your family?”

“I couldn’t get there because of the weather. Even though I left early, the roads were blocked. I figured I could spend the holiday either alone in some motel as I waited out the storm, I could go back to my place and be lonely, or I could see you guys. I know I should’ve called, but--.”

“Don’t be silly you’re always welcome here. Come on, love, let’s get you out of the cold. Can I help you with your coat?”

“Thanks, Will. How’s everything? Is she better?” Buffy heard Tara whisper. “Honestly, if I’m intruding…”

“Things are really good, not one-hundred percent, but we’re really good.” With a muted grin, William reached back, searching for Buffy. She grabbed his hand and filled the place at his side.

“If you two want some time alone, I can watch the kids. Free of charge. Tis the season.”

“Oh, don’t feel like you’re obligated to work…”

“I want to, I insist. The kids can show me all their new stuff, it’ll be fun.”

“Alright. If you need us, just holler.”

Buffy followed William towards the stairs and looked back once she heard Tara call her name.

“Merry Christmas, Buffy.”

“You too, thanks.”
***