Author's Chapter Notes:
Yep, I'm a little early...but I'm sure it's Thursday somewhere. :)

The comments have been wonderful, keep them coming. I had such a hard time not updating on Tuesday. But really, if you want more: comment!!
--Jennifer
Chapter 2

She woke for a second time to fingers on her face. The fingers were tiny, clammy and they smelled of chocolate and another sweet smell that Buffy couldn’t identify.

“Mommy?” the owner of the fingers whispered as he held her cheeks between his palms. “Mommy, are you sick? Daddy, Daddy said we shouldn’t see you. What’s wrong? Does your tummy hurt?”

“My tummy feels fine,” Buffy answered. Opening her eyes, she was greeted by a messy lopsided grin. “What have you been eating?”

“Um, nothing.”

“Nothing?”

“Donuts!” the boy admitted with a loud giggle. “How’d you know? Were you spying on me?”

“Maybe,” she said, a smile tugging on her lips.

He has his father’s eyes, she couldn’t help but think. My nose…

“Jamie.”

At the sound of William’s voice, Jamie gasped and widened his eyes dramatically. “Uht-oh!”

“Uht-oh is right, young man. Didn’t I tell you that your mother wasn’t to be disturbed?”

“Yes, but--.”

“No buts. Tara has been looking all over for you. Don’t you want to go to the park with your sisters?”

“Yes! I just—I wanted to see if mommy was okay. I woke her up, daddy! You couldn’t, but I could! See!”

“I see,” William chuckled, stepping from the doorway to kiss the top of Jamie’s head of shaggy brown hair. “She’s been nice to you, hasn’t she?”

“Yeah, dad! She knew about the donuts and she didn’t get mad!”

“Well, aren’t you a lucky ducky? You should head downstairs, love. Let me speak to your mummy for a bit.”

“Okay. Bye, mom! Feel better!”

“Bye, Jamie,” Buffy swallowed, patting his small shoulders as he hugged her tightly and hid his face against her stomach.

“God, he’s adorable,” she whispered, watching as he bolted down the hallway.

“You should see his sister, but then I guess you did before you passed out. How are you feeling?”

“I’ve felt better. William,” she continued seconds later, “are they twins?”

He nodded, taking a seat on the edge of the bed, careful to keep his distance.

“What happened with the donuts?”

“He ate them all. He downed an entire box of twelve this morning.”

“Oh no.”

“Oh yes and he didn’t even get sick, imagine that. Anyway, Tara’s taking him to the park in hopes to run the sugar out of his system.”

“Tara?”

“Our nanny. You saw her before you passed out as well. She was holding Joy…Joyce, Buffy. We named her after your mother.”

Buffy took a deep breath, running her hands through her hair. “The other little girl, what’s her name?”

“Sarah. I suggested another J-name, but you wouldn’t have it. Not for the twins. Didn’t want to be repetitive, you said.”

“Did I really want another? Three wasn’t enough?”

“We wanted an even two for two.”

“I never wanted kids. I was never a kid person.”

“I remember. The guys would bring their babies to the station and you’d hide completely or force a smile from a safe distance. But I’ll have you know, it didn’t take much convincing on my part. The babies were your idea; I just came along for the ride, after I finally got you to marry me that is.”

“When-when did that happen? When were we married?”

“Four years ago.”

Buffy shifted, feeling uncomfortable. “This is so crazy.”

“Which part? That we’re married and happy, or that you can’t remember a minute of it?”

She winced, hearing a flicker of pain behind his voice. “I remember being shot, but nothing after that. I don’t even know who pulled the trigger.”

“Angel.”

“What? How? He wasn’t—was he there?”

“The boys…they were helping him and--.”

“The tip was real?”

“Yeah,” William answered softly. “It was real alright.”

“Did we get him?”

“No. I was too concerned with you. You nearly died that night. I couldn’t leave you and he got away. I beat myself up over it for quite awhile,” he mumbled. “Swore that I’d get revenge…I was in a pretty dark place until you pulled me out of it. Blamed myself for you getting hurt.”

“It wasn’t your fault.”

“That’s what you told me,” he said, a smile barely touching his lips. “But good sense will tell you that I’m still partly responsible. I upset you so much that you let your guard down. I had horrible timing, proclaiming my love on the job like a pitiful wanker. You should’ve just slapped me for being so daft.”

“What happened to Riley?”

“Oh, you don’t know?”

“Just tell me. Please.”

“Riley…well, he left you. He could sense things heating up between us and told you to choose and--.”

“And I picked you?”

“Don’t sound so shocked. I’m just as good as him. Better.”

“Did I tell you the reason why I was meeting his parents that night was because we were announcing our engagement?”

“Yes, you told me. You definitely didn’t have an about-face overnight, but when it mattered, you chose me. I bet that’s hard for you to believe, but it’s the truth. I didn’t force you and certainly didn’t drug you. I’m not that desperate, you know. I have some pride.”

“I never married Riley…”

“No,” he said plainly, studying his knuckles. “And as far as I know, you had no regrets. I mean, I would’ve been positive, but after today… As far as I know you were satisfied with your decision.”

Buffy closed her eyes briefly, not sure what to say.

“Buffy? Are you okay?”

“No. No, I’m really not. I’m scared and I’m confused and, I’m cold.”

“It is winter,” he said, draping a heavier blanket over her shoulders. “I told you to get dressed, but here you are still in that flimsy sheet.”

“William, why aren’t you rushing me to a loony bin? To an emergency room?”

“Well, I seriously thought about it, but since you didn’t hit your head and since you’re acting pretty normal other than the memory loss, I figured if I took you to a hospital that they’d keep you overnight for tests, and with it being the day before Christmas Eve… I know it’s selfish, but I want you to spend Christmas with us, your family. I don’t want the kids to have a holiday without you…but really, if you’re feeling bad, Buffy, you’ve got to tell me and I’ll take you wherever you need to go.”

“I feel fine, but I don’t see what difference it’d make. I could be here and those children wouldn’t be with their mother--.”

“Those children?” he snorted, rolling his eyes heavenward. “Those children happen to be your children. You gave birth to them, you raised them--.”

“William, I’m a stranger here. Sure you recognize me, but I can’t remember anything that’s happened to me in the past four years--.”

“Five.”

“Five? Five what?”

“It’s five years, maybe even closer to six. We’ve been together five and married for four.”

“Okay…well, that just proves my point.”

“No, it doesn’t prove anything. I saw you with Jamie. I had you in my arms this morning--.”

“Now that doesn’t mean anything.”

“It means a bloody lot! You’re their mother! You’re my wife, Buffy!”

“But I don’t remember!”

“You don’t need to remember!”

“How can you say that?” Buffy gasped. “Years are missing from my life!”

“But that doesn’t change what you are or who you are!”

“But--.”

“And we’ll get your memories back, I promise you, but it won’t be easy if you insist on being so pigheaded about this whole thing!”

“I am not being pigheaded—a-and how can you be so sure that I’ll just get my memories back? How can you make a promise like that?

“How can I—come on, Summers! I’m not sure about a damn thing right now! Can’t you see that I’m holding on by a bloody string?”

He took a number of deep breaths and Buffy finally noticed that his body was trembling.

“You think you’re scared? I’m fucking terrified! In the blink of an eye my wife disappeared! You think you’re confused? I’m-I’m…”

He trailed off, standing with his back to her. “I’m not going to make you stay. I can’t bear the thought of letting you go, but I honestly don’t know if I can handle being around you. I know that you hate me, and it’s eating me up.”

“Where would I go?” Buffy whispered, thinking out loud. “I have no money…I don’t know where my family and friends are…I can’t go home.”

“You are home, Buffy. It’s just up to you if you want to stay.”

“Where are you going?”

“Downstairs. Your family’s going to be home soon and expecting lunch.”
***