Chapter 21

Buffy’s body itched, and she knew that only the man in front of her could cure her discomfort. She struggled to keep her hands to herself, but quickly realized she had no real reason to resist her desires. Riley Finn wasn’t standing in her way anymore. Nothing was keeping her from touching, tasting, and fully enjoying her husband.

“Mmmm, husband,” she mumbled, experimenting with the word between slow, searching kisses. “My husband… My husband William.”

“Has a decent ring to it, doesn’t it?”

“Oh yes. I think I like it very much.”

Her smile grew and her kisses became more playful. Content sighs and needy whimpers escaped from the back of her throat as she sucked on William’s full lower lip and wrestled with his tongue.

“Oh my God,” she blurted out, ripping her mouth away to fill her lungs with air. “Now I know how the kids felt this morning.”

“What?” William laughed, his voice slightly hoarse. “What do you mean by that?”

“Well, Santa brought me exactly what I wanted for Christmas, and now I have no idea what to do with myself. You see, I have this new, state-of-the-art, William-shaped toy and I’m so excited. I can’t wait to play with him, and to see all that he can do. I want to do anything and everything, and all at the exact same time. It’s really an amazing feeling.”

“So I’m your toy? Should I feel objectified here?”

“Um, no,” Buffy replied causing William to snicker into her shoulder. He covered the area with kisses and made her gasp by pinching her skin with his teeth. “Hey, I meant what I said in only the most loving way possible. There’s no reason to start biting.”

“Does this toy business work both ways?” Not waiting for a response, he cupped her backside and began to slowly grind the core of her body against the zipper of his jeans. “Summers, are you my toy?”

“Oh, God…sure, sure, if you want me to be. I’ll agree to anything right now.”

“That’s an awfully dangerous thing to say.”

“I’ll take my chances.” She captured his mouth again. Her hands slipped between their bodies. William groaned softly at the first contact of fingertips to erect skin, and minutes later, she sank into his lap. Wrapping her arms snugly around his neck, she upped the pace of their oscillating hips.

“I really do love you,” she whispered, quickly overwhelmed by both pleasure and emotion. “I love you, and I love our family.”

“Buffy…God, pet, we love you too.”

She nodded, completely believing his words. “I’ve never felt this way before…”

“You’d better get used to it,” he said, pulling away from her kisses. Before Buffy could protest, he had her on her back and moaning once he was inside her again. “I made a promise. You’re going to feel like this…exactly like this, each and every day.”

“Till death do us part?”

“That,” he snickered, seeking her lips. “And then some.”
***

“William, is this really what married people do?”

“Love, I’m afraid you’ll have to be a tad more specific.”

“Do married people typically run out to their cars for a mid-morning quickie? When that car is parked in their own garage?”

“I can’t speak for the married community in its entirety; however, I doubt such behavior is completely unheard of.”

“Oh.”

They were sitting side-by-side, both enjoying the moment of post-coital bliss. Neither of them had made any attempt to leave the backseat of the car. William had his eyes closed and an arm draped around Buffy’s shoulders while she rested her head on his chest.

“But is this normal for us?”

“Is it normal for us—two married fuddy duddies to be sneaking off for a shag like a couple of horny teenagers?” He opened one eye only slightly. Buffy caught a glimpse of his mischievous smirk before he responded. “No, we aren’t like this all the time.”

“Really?”

“Were you expecting a different answer?”

“No.” She nuzzled deeper into his body, making a point to avoid his glance. “So…we’re in something like a honeymoon phase?”

“That sums it up rather nicely. Let’s wallow in it, shall we? Who knows how long it’ll last.”

“How long did it last the first time around? A year, a couple of months?”

“Oh, no more than a few days.”

“Only a few days?” She peeked up and blushed, meeting his dazzling blue eyes head-on. His mouth was curved in a soft smile. “You want to know what I think about all this? I think you’re full of shit.”

“Is that your unique way of saying you find me bloody irresistible? You can’t imagine tiring of me so quickly?”

“It’s my way of saying you’re completely full of shit.” She shared his grin, but squirmed out of his arms. “I can’t believe you were pulling my leg this entire time!”

“Get back here,” he laughed. He scooped her up with ease and settled her squarely in his lap. “You and your questions—sorry, sweetheart, I just couldn’t resist. Besides, I could’ve sworn you were catching on…”

“I was.”

“Somehow that little pout suggests otherwise.” He laughed again and sought out her lips. He kissed her once before pulling back to search her face. “You aren’t really sore about this, right?”

“I’m not sore about anything, but…”

“But? Go on.”

“My questions weren’t asked purely for your amusement. Marriage is a new concept for me. I’ve never seen a good one close up. My parents—God, they had a crummy marriage. They were great by themselves, but when they got together—and I mean just in the same room—it was anything but pretty.”

“Tell me about it. Your sorry-excuse of a father cheated on your mother. They were at each other’s throats all the time, but that wasn’t too often really, because they avoided each other whenever possible. You’ve blamed yourself for their divorce, and I’ve never agreed with your reasoning. You were a bit of an unruly child. Your father couldn’t keep up. But then he didn’t bother trying either.”

She just blinked, taken aback by his matter-of-fact tone. “Wow William, that was impressive. Can you do that again? Let’s see if you can sum up my childhood baggage in five words or less this time.”

“Buffy--.”

“You know everything there is to know about me, I get that. Hell, I’m even warming up to the idea, but--.”

“Could I be any more of a jerk? Honestly, love, what was I thinking?”

“Is that a rhetorical question or should I actually know the answer?”

“Here I am, tossing your dirty laundry in your face like a royal ass. Buffy, I’m sorry. I’m not always an insensitive knob.”

“First of all, I don’t think you’re a jerk or a knob. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I’m not upset with you. I might have snapped at you a little, but it was one of those knee-jerk reactions. I don’t usually talk about my parents, but it makes perfect sense that I’d talk to you about their divorce. You’re my husband. My baggage is now your baggage. It’s ours now. Um, mi childhood trauma es, um…su childhood trauma?”

“You’re trying to make me feel better.”

“Is it working? God, I’m new at this stuff too. Whenever someone makes me mad, I like to hold a grudge until I snap and lash out. Then there’s usually a great deal of avoiding, and…and I’m sure you know about this too. You’re an expert when it comes to all things Buffy.”

“I don’t know if I’d use the word ‘expert.’”

“Why not? I would.” She watched him take a deep breath and her body did the same, as if it was following his lead. He reached forward to caress the side of her face and Buffy melted. “I didn’t realize how tense I was until just now. It came on so quickly. I just didn’t want to fight with you. And then, when you got upset, because you thought I was upset—William, I found it all very upsetting. When things get personal I have a tendency to bite peoples’ heads off.”

“You get defensive. You’ve been hurt in the past.”

She acknowledged the truth behind his words with a single nod. “I don’t know why I keep explaining myself to you. It’s stupid and I’m sure it’s driving you crazy. I’m not telling you anything that you don’t already know.”

“That couldn’t be any farther from the truth. I know you very well, but it feels as if we’re starting over. Yes, it’s frustrating, but it’s thrilling all the same. Even when you had all your memories, you surprised me nearly everyday. You’re still a mystery to me, Buffy. I learn something new about you every time I turn around. I never know what you’ll think up next. And trust me; I never know what’ll come out of that mouth of yours.”

“Are you saying I have a big mouth?”

“I wasn’t complaining. A big mouth definitely has its perks as you demonstrated wholeheartedly last night.”

“You’re such a pig!” Buffy laughed as he wagged his eyebrows suggestively.

“Oh, sweetheart, you have no idea.”

She continued to laugh as he kissed her neck. “William, I hate to interrupt, but what time is it?”

“I was hoping you’d ask. It’s half past lunchtime.”

“Really? Oh my goodness! Why didn’t you say something sooner? We have to feed the kids. I have to figure out what the heck I can actually feed the kids. Leftover pizza isn’t going to cut it. Not on Christmas.”

“Tara might have some ideas.”

“William, what about your present? We need to find that too.”

“I can look around for the bike while you get the meal started. With Tara.”

“I can’t look with you?”

“You can’t be everywhere at once, pet. And if you’re using the bike as a reason to avoid our nanny-.”

“Why would I do something like that?” She let out a short, forced laugh. “That’s ridiculous. Why would I want to avoid her?”

“Let’s suss out some possibilities, shall we? Maybe it’s your competitive nature. Maybe you’ve decided not to like her for some reason. Maybe you’re jealous.”

“I’m not jealous.”

“Alright,” he answered with a confident edge to his voice. “Why don’t you let her handle the Christmas feast today? You can stick with me and we’ll just eat as a family. Tara can handle it. She’s a pro--.”

“And I’m not?” she asked, blurting out the question.

“Did I say that?”

“No, but—fine, if you want to get rid of me so badly, I’ll be in the house.” She wanted to leave the car abruptly but with grace. She scooted across the seats to yank on the car door. When it failed to open, she shot William a glare.

“Child-proof locks,” he answered with a charming smirk. “Sorry, guess they put a damper on your grand exit.”

“William, how the hell did we get in here if the doors were locked?”

“They open from the outside only, unless you--.”

“I’ll find my own way out,” she declared, climbing into the front seat.

“You’ve always known your way around the inside of a car. Too bad you can’t drive one properly.”

“Ha ha, you’re too funny.”

“You think so?”

She was out of the car and nearly out of the garage when she gasped. Suddenly William was behind her. An arm snaked around her waist as he spoke directly into her ear.

“Tara doesn’t know about your memory loss. You need to tell her before you hit her head-on.”

“What do you mean?”

“She’s a kind soul. She’s sweet, Buffy. She won’t survive if you come on too strong. And if you make that girl quit, I will tan that lily-white ass of yours.”

“You’re bringing up spanking again? If it’s really that important to you--.”

“Just behave yourself and think twice before you spout off.”

“Do I usually have to think twice about everything I say and do around Tara? You’re awfully protective of this nanny. Maybe I should be jealous. Maybe she’s more than just a nanny, maybe she’s--.”

“Don’t you dare say another word.” His hold around her waist tightened. His voice became more serious, but it remained far from threatening. “Why do you insist on being such a bloody menace? Tara helps us. We’d be in a world of hurt without her. You’ve been around her all of—what? Five minutes? I’m not only trying to spare her, but—Summers, just take it easy. That’s all I ask. She is your friend, even if you can’t remember.”

“I have no idea—yesh, what do you think I’ll do?”

“Amnesia or not, you’re still a cop. You might be a tiny blonde cop, but you can also be intimidating as hell, especially when you feel threatened.”

“But I’m not--.”

“I’ve seen you bring grown men—fucking burly bastards—to their knees, kitten. You knock them flat with words before fists start flying.”

“They were bad guys.” She twisted her body so she could look up at him. “Tara isn’t a bad guy, she’s a nanny.”

“That’s exactly my point.”

“Okay, I’ll make a mental note: don’t make the nanny cry. How’s that?” She had to smile before placing a kiss on his cheek. “For an expert on Buffys, you should’ve known I do have some self-control. I’ll be good. I can be friendly. I’ll even be cordial.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. I might interrogate her a little, but--.”

Buffy--.”

“But I’ll do it in a friendly and cordial way, I promise.”

“Get out of here.” He rolled his eyes before giving her backside a playful swat. “Bloody troublemaker…”
***