Author's Chapter Notes:
A longer chapter, and a teeny weeny cliffhanger (I think so anyway).

Review please, I know everyone says it, but it does give me an extra push to write more and quicker.
Chapter 4

“Mommy, I’m hungry!”

“I know, but just give me one minute. The microwave can only work so fast, Jamie.”

Buffy went to the pantry with Joy drooling and cooing happily in her arms. She picked the first jar of baby food and searched the drawers for a spoon.

“Mommy!”

“Please be patient, Jamie.” Finding the utensil that she needed, Buffy set Joy in the highchair and tied a bib around her neck.

“Beep! Beep!” Jamie yelled, mimicking the microwave as it beeped, signaling that the twins’ pizza had been re-warmed.

“Okay, now we can get you guys fed.”

Smiling proudly, Buffy served the children. Like William had predicted, Jamie stopped talking right away, more concerned with picking the cheese off his pizza. Enjoying the temporary silence, Buffy went to pour drinks for the kids. She had one glass full and was pouring into the second when Sarah started to cry, startling Buffy, causing soda to spill on the counter and onto the floor.

“Shit,” she whispered, no knowing where to look for a towel.

“Sarah! Sarah, what’s wrong?!”

“It’s hot!” she cried, mouth open. “It burned me!”

“Oh, I didn’t think it’d be so hot,” Buffy said, leaving the mess to give Sarah the little glass of soda. “Drink some, it’ll cool your mouth.” As she gulped from the cup with two hands, Buffy knelt to wipe tears from her face. “I’m so sorry about that. Do you feel better now?”

Sarah nodded, her lower lip jutting out. “That hurt, mommy.”

“I know. I shouldn’t have given it to you so soon. Forgive me?”

“Yeah,” she sniffled, wrapping her arms around Buffy’s neck. Buffy closed her eyes, hugging Sarah back until William ran into the room, still bare-chested with drawstring pants hanging low on his hips.

“What’s wrong? I heard crying—is she hurt?”

“Sarah burned her mouth. The pizza was too hot for her. I made a mess with the drinks because her crying scared me. Joy hasn’t eaten yet and Jamie, well, look at him.”

“Oh, that’s it?” he sighed in relief, getting a damp paper towel to clean Jamie’s dirty face and hands. “I nearly jumped out of my skin. Sarah doesn’t cry often, Buffy.”

“I swear it wasn’t that hot. The moment I put the pizza on the table, Jamie was up to his elbows in cheese and tomato sauce.”

“Well, just…next time can you be more careful?”

“Of course,” Buffy answered. “I don’t want to hurt them.”

“I’m sure you don’t, but still--.”

“Shut up. Just shut up, William.”

“Okay, never mind then.”

They ignored each other as they finished in the kitchen. Buffy cleaned up her mess, while William fed Joy.

“William, where’s Tara?” she asked minutes later.

“She had to go.”

“Go? Like on an errand?”

“She’s driving home early. The weather reports are predicting icy roads and she wanted to beat the storm. So, without her around, you’re going to have to watch them, okay? There’s some stuff that I’ve got to do today.”

“You aren’t a last minute shopper, are you?”

“Naw, I have to start the gift wrapping. We’ve been busy with work and all, so I need to finish it up this afternoon.”

“Work? Do we—we don’t have the same job, do we.”

“After the shooting you went to desk duty.”

“Oh, great. It isn’t in--.”

“Evidence? Yes. Don’t wrinkle your nose though, you actually chose the job yourself. The hours are better.”

“What do you do?”

“Patrolling, but every once in awhile I take care of the Angel sightings…just for nostalgia’s sake, you know?”

“So, while I’m destroying the mountains of bongs that we confiscate from this town’s teenagers, you’re having all the fun?”

“Sometimes you go with me. We make a date out of it. You know, the late-night stakeout, the bogus suspects…sometimes there happens to be a flask in the glove box…”

Buffy turned, back leaning against the sink, watching as he picked up Joy, took Sarah by the hand and followed Jamie into the living room.

”You are home, Buffy.”
***

Buffy sat in the middle on the couch with a twin on her left and right. Joy was cradled in her lap.

“This’ll keep ‘em occupied for awhile. It’s six hours of recorded Christmas movies and whatnot. They usually have a nap around three, but if they get tired, they’ll pass out even with the TV on.”

“Will you be done in six hours?”

“God, I hope so.” William slipped the tape in the VCR and pressed play. “Need anything else?”

“Where’s the remote?”

“On the little table right there.”

“Whatta ‘bout a blanket?” Jamie asked. “I’m freezing!”

“I’m cold too, mommy,” Sarah whispered, snuggling into Buffy’s side.

“Well, let’s fix that.” William turned on the fireplace and came back unfolding a large fuzzy blanket. “Let’s see, what’s the best way to do this? You, hold this end.” He gave a section of the blanket to Jamie and stretched it across Buffy to reach Sarah. “How’s that, sweet? Still cold, my baby?”

“A little.”

“You won’t be for much longer though.” William kissed Sarah’s cheek and kissed the top of Jamie’s head. “Where’s my Joy?”

He pulled back the blanket and kissed Joy’s temple as Buffy held her against her chest. Their closeness made Buffy’s heart speed up and she ignored the need to pout when he denied her a kiss.

“Daddy! Whatta ‘bout mommy?!”

“What about her, mate?”

“Aren’t you gonna kiss her?” Jamie asked, wrinkling his small nose. “You always kiss her!”

“Yeah, I usually do, and don’t you usually squeal about how gross it is?”

“Did she do something wrong? Is she in trouble?”

Buffy looked up, interested in William response.

“No, she’s not in any bloody trouble,” he grumbled.

“Are you sure? What’d she do that was bad?”

“She didn’t do anything, alright? You want me to kiss her? Will that make you happy?”

Jamie giggled and covered his face with his hands. “Do it!”

“Why you blasted little pain,” William teased, tickling his sides. “Who put you up to this?”

“Nobody!” he screeched, squirming under William’s fingers. “Nobody!”

“Was it you?” William asked, giving Buffy a wink.

“Nope.”

“You?” he asked Sarah, causing her to grin and shake her head.

“Well, that just leaves one more--.”

“It was Joy!” Jamie decided, pointing at the bump in Buffy’s arms.

“Oh, it sounds like something that she’d do. Well, pucker up, baby’s orders.”

“Hey, wait a minute,” Buffy laughed. “Did you ever think that maybe I don’t want to kiss him, Jamie?”

“Why you wouldn’t you? It’s daddy!”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t you? It’s me, pet.”

“You’re having way too much fun with this, William.”

“True,” he smirked, bending so their faces were no more than a few inches apart. First he brushed his lips against her forehead and then he moved lower to taste the corner of her mouth. He drew back and evaluated her reaction before coming back for more. The kiss was slow and shallow and Buffy could tell they were both holding back, too timid to surrender wholly to the gesture.

“Okay! You can stop now! Gees!”

Buffy closed her eyes and giggled into William’s mouth. He kissed her once more before standing up straight.

“Alright, since everyone seems to be satisfied—for now anyway—I’m going to, uh, leave you to your movie.”

“Bye, daddy!” the twins said, one chiming in after the other.

“Bye, William,” Buffy whispered, licking her lips. “Hurry back.”
***

During the second movie, Buffy nudged Sarah gently with her elbow. “Hey, psst, you asleep?”

“No.”

“Can I ask you a question?”

“Yes, mommy.”

“Okay, do you, uh—where’s Joy’s room?”

“You don’t know?” Sarah asked, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

“Well, I do, I just—we’re playing a game. I ask you questions and if you answer them correctly, I’ll sneak you some cookies. They’ll be just for you, not for your brother. He’s sleeping now, but when he wakes you can tease because you have yummy cookies and he doesn’t. How’s that sound? Fun, right?”

“I want cupcakes.”

“I think cupcakes can be arranged. Can you show me to her room?”

Sarah nodded, climbing off the sofa. “Follow me, mommy. We’ll play follow the leader.”
***

I can do this. Thousands, no millions—billions of people must do this on a daily basis.

“Mommy, she smells bad.”

“I know.”

“Change her.”

“I’m getting to it. I’m just preparing.”

“Preparing? What does that mean?”

“Uh, let’s go back to our game, Sarah. Now, where are the diapers?”
***

“Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew. Ew!” Buffy exclaimed, peeking into Joy’s diaper and causing Sarah to giggle. “Hey, it’s nasty in there! Do you want to look?”

“No! Ew!”

“Ha, that’s what I thought.”

Buffy looked down at the smiling baby and wrinkled her nose. “You know what? On second thought, your daddy should be in charge of diaper duty. Sarah, can you get him for me?”

“Where’d he go?” Sarah asked, her voice higher because of a pinched nose.

“He’s around here somewhere…wait,” Buffy said, remembering that he was wrapping Christmas presents. “You watch Little Miss Ew-y Pants and I’ll be back in two seconds.”
***

“William?”

Buffy knocked on the door twice and when he didn’t answer, she entered the master bedroom.

“Hey, William, we’ve got a baby emergency out here and it has your name written all over it.”

The bed was covered in rolls of wrapping paper, colorful bows and nametags. Stacks of wrapped and unwrapped presents were scattered on the floor.

Maybe he went downstairs…

A look towards the bathroom changed her mind. She could see him through the glass shower door as he soaped his hair. His fingers worked quickly until he turned and tilted back his head to rinse the shampoo away.

As if in a trance, Buffy froze, watching as he washed the rest of his body.

He’s beautiful…funny…smart… And why did I resist him so much? she wondered. Why did I push him away? I wanted him, but I treated him terribly. I accepted Riley’s proposal…

“Buffy, what the hell are you doing?”

“Honestly? I was…thinking.”

“Oh, is that all? You seemed to be peeping to me. Getting a good show, are you?”

“Should I, uh, turn my back?”

William just narrowed his eyes in response. He stepped out of the shower and towel dried his face and hair. He dried his legs, chest and torso as well, never leaving Buffy’s stare.

“So, you’re in here to think, eh?” he asked, hanging up the towel and stepping closer to Buffy, making her uncomfortably aware of his nakedness. “What’d you come up with? Anything groundbreaking? Share your thoughts with me.”

“You wouldn’t be interested.”

“I bet I would. Lay one on me.”

“Can you get dressed first?”

“Why? You came in here to sneak a look, you should get want you wanted…in full.”

“Joy needs her diaper changed. I don’t want to do it. Sarah’s watching her with her nose plugged and Jamie’s passed out on the couch.”

“Changing the subject?”

“Just thought you’d like to know.”

“Mm,” he said, making a noise as he slicked back his damp hair with his fingers. “She nearby?”

“In her room.”

“I’ll be back in a few,” he said, walking around her to pull on a clean pair of jeans and black shirt. “While I’m gone, you should make yourself useful. Wrap something. It’s the least you could do.”

“Okay,” she smiled. “That sounds fair.”

“What’s that smile for?”

“Nothing.”

“Still thinking?”

She nodded, picking up a boxed Barbie from one of the piles. “You’re a good father.”

“Oh?” he asked with a hint of sarcasm. “What made you decide that?”

“You’re amazing with the kids. They love you so much…you put them before yourself and it’s…it’s really great.”

“I try my best, it’s all I can do really.”

“Well, keep it up, because color me impressed.”

William hesitated and then he mumbled a modest thank you. “Guess that’s quite a compliment coming from you, right?”

“It is,” Buffy smiled again, picking out a roll of pink wrapping paper. “But, I’m not really that surprised. You’ve always had my back. You’ve always been selfless.”

“You were my partner…it was my job, my responsibility--.”

“It was more than that.”

“Yeah, it was.”

“William, can I ask you a question?”

“If you must.”

“It has to do with what I was thinking about.”

“Okay,” he said, crossing his arms. “Make it quick. If she gets diaper rash, it’s on your head.”

“Did I ever tell you why I agreed to marry Riley?”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I can’t remember everything before the shooting. Some things are hazy, like why I accepted his proposal, or, uh, if I actually loved Riley—I mean, I remember caring for him, but—he was an okay boyfriend, alright? But he never struck me as husband-material.”

“You don’t remember?”

“Haven’t we established that my memory isn’t what it used to be?” Buffy laughed.

William’s face lost its color and he swallowed. “You really don’t remember?”

“No. What is it? Is it that bad?”

“Oh, sweetheart…”

“William, what--.”

“You were pregnant. You were going to have his child.”
***